Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5

Direct Energy is an electricity and natural gas provider that services homes and businesses in select states and territories. The company offers online bill pay options and smart home bundles.

Direct Energy Video

Direct Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Energy?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I contacted Direct Energy because I needed a printout of my account number so I can give it to the apartment complex. They were professional and friendly. It just took them a while to get me what I needed.

Direct Energy response

Hello Holly. Thank you for the great review! It is awesome to know that we have managed to serve you and meet your needs in a timely manner. We value your business with Direct Energy and it's always a pleasure to assist you! Have a lovely day! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

At first, I went with Direct Energy through a referral of a friend. Then I had moved many times but I always got them. It was because their prices were good. Also, they've always had an easy website to go into and make a payment and make changes. Then They've always had really good service. And then their renewal process is very easy. I left them one time for TXU and it wasn't the same for me, so I came back.

Every year, Direct Energy advanced. They adapt to the changes. They went from free nights and then free weekends. Their plans are competitive. Their website keeps getting better. Their service is exceptional. Then what I really liked this year that really surprised me is that they reached out to me and gave me a lower price because of how COVID was affecting all of us and it didn't extend my contract. It's the same price all year long. It equals out the same thing but I don't have to worry about bills high in December and low in the winter. I am extremely satisfied with Direct Energy and I don't see myself leaving for a long time.

Direct Energy response
Hi Genesis, We appreciate your trust in all the places that you are moving to. Glad to be able to help you with your energy needs during those changes. We are pleased to know that our web site is making your life easy and saving time.

Thank you very much for this important comment about our team, one of our main objectives is to provide our customers with the finest experience ever. We want every experience to be “five stars”, especially during this difficult time. It means so much when our best customers share their experiences. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

Direct Energy has been good, so far. I get light mostly through CenterPoint and then Direct Energy just sends the bill. I just got one small bill. But it’s cold right now, so I don't expect anything high. Direct Energy has a better, friendlier website to set up autopay and log-ins. It’s simple to sign up with any provider with that website. But always research and check the rates.

Normally, I never re-sign with the same company once the contract is over because you don't get the best deals. So I don’t mind signing up one for three months if it's the best deal in that time and then signing one for eight months if that's the best deal in time because that's normally how you get the best rates. When I ran into customers that had Direct Energy, none of them really ever had any major complaints. So this was a company that I had in mind at one point to sign up with.

Direct Energy response

Hello Luis. We are thrilled to see your review, it is awesome! We are so excited to know that you're satisfied with the service you've been provided and we will continue working hard to meet your expectations every day and continue serving you for many years to come! Thanks for your trust! Have a beautiful day! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

We use quite a bit of power at our house. I'm most sensitive to price more than anything else. I liked the price and the length of the contract time that Direct Energy was offering. It’s about the same price as my previous provider. The previous provider tried to run the price up. That’s why I switched away from them. I signed up through Power to Choose, and then I got a confirmation from that. And then, I got an email sent to me.

Direct Energy response

Hi Michael, we are overjoyed to know that Direct Energy exceeded your expectations and showed what the experience should be! Thank you for your business and your kind review. We appreciate you are choosing us as your energy provider and helping you with your energy needs. Have a great weekend! – Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I’ve been a Direct Energy customer for many years on four or five different properties. And the house I bought, I went with the existing provider just out of convenience, but as soon as the contract expired, I switched to Direct Energy. They have better customer service. The only negative experience I had recently is that my house has two meters, so I have two electric bills. The guy I talked to on the phone quoted me a rate that he could get me to switch them both over. I accepted that. The call got disconnected. But whenever I reconnected with someone else, they couldn't get me the same rate that he offered me. I asked them to just go back and listen to the phone history so they could verify it, so I don't sound like I’m lying or making it up. But they said that takes a lot of work to do that. So, I just let it go and went with the rate that they gave me.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Gene. Thank you for this endearing review! It is amazing to know that we have had your loyalty since 2007! We greatly appreciate your preference and we love knowing that we go with you wherever you go! We hope to continue serving you in the best possible way for many years to come! We regret the inconvenience you had to experience and whenever you need us, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will do everything in our power to satisfy your energy needs. Thank you so very much for your trust! Enjoy your weekend! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I just left Gexa and I'd done Amigo. I've done Direct Energy before too. Whenever you go to renew, they're always taking you to this default rate such that if you don't update or leave, you don't get to maintain the good rate that you get. I took a six-month deal with Direct Energy and it's working real well. I signed it up over the internet and gave them my bank card so they can hit it each month for the charge and off we go. They do have a great website for usage history. Those are always good. The one that we're using now shows a daily consumption rate which is interesting too. If they came out with a time of day rate, that would also be interesting.

I'm still paying $100 a month to CenterPoint to manage the distribution wires. In the next two months, I'll probably start looking around as to what am I gonna do. I'm not sure if Direct Energy has something competitive to keep me. I'm always shopping. The beauty of a deregulated market is we get a chance to always go after the best deal. There aren't any switching costs unless you've got bad credit which I don't have.

Direct Energy response

Hi Kevin, your story is incredible; thank you for sharing that with us! It's wonderful that Direct Energy has made such a difference for you. Glad to know that you are taking advantage of the great benefits of using our auto-pay option. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Have a good weekend! – Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Everything is going good with Direct Energy so far. This includes their website and their app. Their app is simple and I pay my bill through it. But yesterday on my bill, I paid $94 extra. I thought that I had to pay another amount and I put the wrong amount. I called to see if I could get the money refunded. The guy I spoke with was good and I was told the refund would take five to 10 business days.

Direct Energy response

Hi Asusena, we are pleased to have such a wonderful customer like you. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Glad to know that this case has been resolved. Feel free to contact us at any time. Have a great day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Initially, I ended up getting a $249 electric bill. I live off $786 a month and a rep told me about Direct Energy's Live Brighter Loyalty 22 plan and how it would save me money. I switched and the rep whom I spoke with was very helpful. My bill went from $249 to 80-something dollars a month.

Direct Energy response

Good afternoon, Nocalene. Thank you for taking the time out to share this endearing review! It is amazing to have your loyalty since 2014! We care for you and we will continue working to provide you the best experience ever! You rock! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I was with TXU. I live in a two-bedroom apartment and I was having a $180 electric bill every month and I'm not even home half the time. I went with Direct Energy and had about three or four of their reps call me. I've never had a company so excited for people to join up. I got their free power weekends plan so I can do all of the heavy electric work on weekends and try to save a little energy if I could. I noticed there was a difference. On my first bill, it was about $123 which is probably 60 bucks cheaper than it usually is.

Direct Energy response

Hello Andrew! Welcome to Direct Energy! We are thrilled to have you in our family, thank you for giving us a shot! We are so glad that you are taking advantage of our free weekends plan, as it can definitely save our customers with heavy weekend usage quite a bit of money! We are so glad to hear that you are saving money every month, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you for many years to come. Have a great weekend! - Sophie / Digital Care

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Direct Energy is better than Reliant when I work with people in customer service. They're very nice and they make sure I understand what I'm getting into. One time though, someone supposedly from Direct Energy called me asking for a $200 deposit I had already spoken to someone about. I wanna say it was a scammer but the rep said Direct Energy. I called back and they answered back which was weird to me. I kept on asking them questions and they got upset and hung up. Direct Energy good plans and a lot of different little programs. Having their service has saved me a lot of money. They're an excellent company with excellent representation.

Direct Energy response

Hi Tandolyn. Thanks for your trust. We aim for excellent customer satisfaction and we are happy to hear we were able to satisfy your energy needs. Glad to be your energy provider. We are here to help you at any time. Have a good day! - Zoeh / Digital Care

Direct Energy Company Information