It's that easy Request Information
4.64/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

369 Champion Energy Services Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 5, 2019

I’ve enjoyed my experience with using Champion Energy. I’ve been with them for five years or so, and I went with them mainly for the rate. They always have a good rate plan. So, every time I move, I use Champion. From the times that I’ve dealt with customer service, the service is phenomenal. I just have questions as far as establishing service at one apartment and then another one. And all my questions are always answered timely and accurately.

Normally, I just apply online to establish my date of service, and the lights were turned on then. It’s more so like the convenience of it. When I know that I go online, I put in my Social, I'll wait a couple minutes, and they tell me that I’m approved, just like I did recently. So, I went on the week before, I applied, my service is established, and when I went over there Friday evening, the lights and everything were turned on. Even on top of that, just like the few days that I was billed for, the bill was only 50 bucks, which was great.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ashley. Thank you for leaving your feedback and the opportunity to serve you.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I'm a super user for Champion. We own a lot of condominiums that we rent out and I give my referral code to all of our residents when they’re signing up for electricity. So, my electricity through Champion is super cheap because I keep getting all these referral codes. Every year, I have to get a W-2 from them because I get over $600 worth of free service from them.

Champion's got one of the best deals around. We've been with them for about 15 years now and doing the renewal is fairly easy. They’re straightforward. A lot of the other companies are kinda shifty. They’ll charge things like base fees and user fees that are not easily identifiable when you're looking at the plans. That's part of what I tell our residents. They can go with anybody that they want. We go with Champion because traditionally, they’ve had among the lowest prices. They may not have exactly the lowest price but they’re almost always the lowest priced, and also a lot of companies will have a lower price for a higher usage. The price that they advertise is the 2,000 kilowatt-hours per month plan. But most of our units don’t use 2,000 kilowatts of power each month. It’s well below that.

If you're looking at a plan from Reliant versus a plan from Champion, and Reliant’s plan says that it’s 9.8 cents per kilowatt-hour versus Champion's plan at 10.3 cents per kilowatt-hour, that looks like Champion's more expensive. But the reality is that if you look at under 500 or under 1,000 kilowatt-hour usage, it might be significantly lower, which it usually is, and that Reliant will also charge an extra fee with a below 800 kilowatt-hours of usage each month. So, all these things go into the price that most people don’t know to look for.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Sabrina. You are correct,many providers have hidden charges. Champion never charges customers a base fee and there are no hidden charges-just simplistic easy to understand terms. We appreciate your loyalty and we think that is awesome that you are taking full advantage of our Connect-A-Friend program.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was referred to Champion and I've been using them for years. My brother and I have about 30 or 40 accounts with them, and we both like the service. If I have any questions or I wanna add a new account, I can call them and they typically answer right away. I don't have to wait on hold. They've answered everything fairly quick and they've resolved any issues that I've had fairly quick as well. I also like that they have a $25 referral fee.

I have many different accounts with Champion and every one of them has been really good. There was one a while back where one of the gentlemen told me that if I wanted the service faster, I could pay an extra $35. It didn't end up happening. When I called again, they told me, "We don't even offer that," and my account was credited back. The person that I spoke to at the end ended up resolving everything. Other than that, everything has been perfect. It's been an A+ experience with all the services that I've gotten.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ramiro, we are glad that your issue was corrected. Thank you for being a loyal customer, and we appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My previous electricity provider was Reliant and they were very expensive. Champion Energy is cheaper. I've been with them for many years now and the experience has been great. The switch from Reliant to Champion initially was seamless too. There was nothing I had to do. I also like that I can pay online. Then their representatives are also on the spot. When I call, they take care of whatever problem I might be having.

One time, I called Champion because I had a patient who didn’t have electricity for a week because Reliant had cut him off for non-payment. I’m a physical therapist and he was a disabled veteran who had no money. He was living in an apartment complex and Champion got him electricity with no deposits. He didn't even have to pay his Reliant bill. It was awesome. Champion Energy does good work and I like them. In fact, every time I get a chance, I get somebody to switch to Champion. They have a program where I can make money if I refer people and I’m always talking about what a good rate they have and what a good company it is. I have referred five people, which has made me a little money and also made them a little money on their bill. So I like that.

Hi Connie,

Thanks for being a Champion customer and for taking the time to leave this review for us. We read each and every one of these and appreciate you referring your friends and patients to us!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have quite a few properties and I wish that Champion have a real estate investor or a landlord department because right now, I'm having to set up each individual house separately but they're all under my name. It's messy. They make me sign the energy statement and then I have to prove to them that I sold the house or I have to turn on my utility along getting a house ready to rent and then I have to send them the rental agreement to show them that I'm no longer the person or else they charge me cancellation fee when I'm not really cancelling. There's not a good avenue set up for landlords, real estate investors or tenants in and out, to do business with them. It's just complicated. But everybody has always been very nice.

Sometimes the installation has gone really well but sometimes it has been a difficult experience because the window that they give us to be at the house, when it's a vacant house, is just a really huge window and you don't even have a place to sit or anything to do at the house. With another company they have a builders department. As a landlord or investor who's flipping houses, you can go through the builders department and you've got the same contact that you would use over and over again. They set up very streamlined turn ons and offs and we don't have that with Champion.

There was also one bad thing that happened when I bought a house from someone, subject to their existing mortgage. They were going through foreclosure so the way that I bought it is I took over their payment from their mortgage. The mortgage on the house is still on their name, but I pay it every month. There wasn't any kind of legal documents and they still have access to the mortgage to see that I'm paying it. They were having some other financial troubles and they wanted to make things difficult for me so they were calling Champion. Even though the service is set up in my company name, they called Champion twice and got them to shut off my service.

Since the house was under construction and there was no one living in the house that caused all kinds of havoc. My pool got shut down, so it turned green, which cost me a lot of money to get cleaned back out. My workmen would show and there would be no electricity and then it would take Champion a day to two to come out and turn it back on. I don't think that someone should be allowed to turn off service when the service isn't in their name. What they were doing was they were sending a copy of the mortgage statement that is neither here nor there if the service is in my name. They shouldn't have been able to turn it off. Someone should've at least called me so that was a problem. So dealing with Champion for my business has been difficult. Nevertheless, everybody has always been very nice and from a personal standpoint my service once turned on has been great

I switched to Champion from TXU on our personal home, initially, because we have another friend that uses solar electricity and he recommend Champion to us. It's probably the most economical of all of the providers in our area so that's why we switched and why I continued to stay with them, despite the difficulties I've had on the investor side. It's economical, for sure.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your feedback. We will discuss this one internally at Champion to see how we can make experiences like the ones you explained below better. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Champion Energy Services is great! Anytime we have any concerns with our services, they are always so friendly and help ASAP! There are also different plans where you can get free energy after 7pm or free energy on the weekends! Use the code ** for $50 OFF your bill when you sign up with Champion Energy! They also give multiple promos for you to continuously get decreased rates! Best energy company in Frisco!

Champion Energy Services response

Meagan thank you for leaving your feedback and taking advantage of our connect a friend program. Champion Energy really does provide first in class service, and just recently was awarded the Better Business Bureau's Award of Excellence for maintaining a superior commitment to ethics, overall excellence and quality in the workplace.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I spent countless hours researching electricity companies and trying to find the best and I’m sure I’ve got it! It was a quick and easy set up and love that referral program! Sign up! You won’t be disappointed. You can use my referral code to get $50 credit towards your bill! It’s **.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for your review. Champion works hard to ensure that everything is quick and easy; from enrolling with us to understanding and paying your bill. And referring a friend is very easy and quite rewarding for customers as well. Thanks for taking advantage of the program. We look forward to serving you.

Original review: May 16, 2019

** < Get a $50 bill credit by entering this referral code when you sign up for Champion Energy Services! We have had no complaints about Champion thus far. Happy we switched from a larger name company. :) The referral program is fantastic in that both parties are able to get a $50 credit. I think this is an awesome incentive! We also really enjoy having free weekends with the plan we chose, since we are homebodies. :)

Hello Christina,

You are not alone in thinking the Free Weekends Plan is the best! Many of our customers have been raving about all the benefits of this plan. After all, who doesn't like getting free electricity? And getting a $50 bill credit for each friend or family member you refer is a pretty sweet deal, too.

Original review: May 14, 2019

When I moved to Texas, I was shopping around for energy providers and Champion Energy seemed to have the best rates here in the area. It also came recommended with the referral code of my realtor. I then went online with the referral code and went through a two-minute sign up process. I've had a one-year contract with them since August of last year and I'm absolutely gonna renew. Also, I’ve already used my referral code to get three more people on. It got me a $50 bill credit and got the new referral a $50. I feel good about that and that’s why I keep passing on my referral code. The people that use my referral code are always listed on my bill and those people get a $50 off, too. Then, they get their own referral code, which in turn, can be for someone else.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your feedback. It speaks volumes that you have recommended so many to us and will be renewing yourself. We appreciate your business and will continue to provide #1 customer service to all of our customers.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Just recently switched from TXU. So far my experiences with Champion is good so far. They were helpful with my questions during the switch. The rate is pretty reasonable. I have seen lower rate with other companies but you have to be in a certain range to get the cheapest rate. But Champion's rate does not fluctuate much between the low usage and high usage. If you like to sign up with Champion, you may use my referral to get $50 off and I also get $50 off as well. Click on this link http://www.championenergyservices.com/programs/referral-program/caf.asp?referralID=PDy22735.

Hello Phoumara,

Thank you for your honest feedback. If you ever need to reach out to use, please give us a call or by email.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Everybody’s been very attentive at Champion and the installation was pretty quick and easy. The service has also been great.

Hello Juan.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have 10 business accounts with Champion Energy. Then I start doing my individual condos and my apartments through them as well. I received a call four years ago and he said, "I'd give you a better deal than the other guy," and he did. So I kept them and now I have recommend at least four people to Champion Energy, and then I got 50 bucks. Champion's service has been very good and very reasonable.

Hello Toni!

Thank you for the referrals. We appreciate the trust that you have in us and we will continue to provide all of our customers reliable top-notch service.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I've had a very good experience with Champion Energy. They are way better than my previous provider and that’s why I’m still with them. The last time I talked to them was good. The installation was a smooth process and timely too.

Hi Fidelis,

Thanks for your feedback. With smart meters in Texas, switching to another provider is pretty seamless. Long gone are the days of having to have someone come to your house to set you up for power. Please call us anytime if you ever have any questions!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I've had very good interactions with the reps at Champion. They explained the new terms and conditions, and they were very thorough. The installation of my energy service was very simple. They had to do their own on their end to light them up and they normally go to the computer program and reset everything. I think that’s okay. There's not much difference between Champion's service and that of the other provider that I used in the past, only in the price.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Mohammad, thank you for your review. In addition to our prices, our laser focus on excellent customer service is another difference that sets us apart from other providers, which you have touched on.

Original review: April 22, 2019

When I was looking for a lower cost electric company, I found Champion Energy Services. I've been with them for five years and I've been pretty satisfied with them.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Harold! Thank you for being a loyal customer for five years. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to work to ensure that you remain satisfied with your services.

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the only energy company I could find with straightforward pricing. Everyone else has base charges if you don't use a certain amount of electricity, or credits for using over a certain amount, etc. Makes it very difficult to understand what you will actually be paying, not to mention all but impossible to compare plans. Not so with Champion - we have a 2 year plan with pricing that I can understand. If you want to give them a try use code: EOlverbranting12995 for a $50 bill credit.

Champion Energy Services response

Erika, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are happy to see that you are taking advantage of our Connect A Friend program as well. If you ever need to reach out to us, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Compared to previous providers I've used, Champion is better because I've been with them for a good while now. Their rate made me switch to them. Their reps were very friendly and cooperative. They were always good English speaking people that I could understand. The overall performance and reliability of the service is very good. I would recommend Champion.

Champion Energy Services response

Helen thank you for your honest feedback. At Champion, we recognize that our customers are our neighbors and friends and that is translated into our service. Our customers receive personalized service according to their individual needs. Champion simply stands apart because we truly care and value each and every customer.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I am a real estate agent, so I am hooking up electricity for all kinds of people all the time. Champion Energy Services is awesome and easy to deal with. I call and get a real person in the United States. I recommend Champion most of the time and I offer that I would call it in, but most of the time, my clients just ask me to call it in. I’ve dealt with Champion a lot on power of attorneys and they did it in little forms signed. They deal right with me and make everything really simple or deal with the property manager and the tenants and work the same way. Champion is number one. It is great and I love it.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Lucas, we appreciate your honest review. We are honored that you have placed your trust in us to service your clients, and we will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations. Thank you for being a loyal customer and recommending us to others.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Champion Energy is currently what I use for my lights and I’ve been using it for three years now. It is better and consistent price-wise than other providers. I just renewed my contract a week ago and the rate was almost the same. Champion has been so great so far. I referred it to a lot of people.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Tolulope! Thank you for remaining loyal and referring others to Champion Energy. We will continue to strive to provide you with the top-notch service you have come to expect.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I loved Champion when I fist signed up, then after the first year was over my rates went way up, free weekends ended. I was told those are no longer available, but you offer them to new clients. Bottom line is new customers are valued but loyal customers have their rates increased. I have never been late or missed a payment, yet I have to pay more cause I stayed with Champion. Looks like this is the future of customer appreciation, Spectrum does the same thing. You should show the same loyalty to your customers as some of us have shown you.

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We value both existing and new customers, offering fair rates at both renewal and enrollment.

Sorry to hear that you weren’t offered a free weekends plan at your renewal as this is a plan that we have active in the market. A member of our team will be in touch with you soon to review your account.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Champion Energy is pretty good and reliable. I've been with them for many years as their rates are lower compared to others. They send me a lot of reminders through email and it’s really easy to renew online. They give me a lot of options, like for two or three years renewal, but I do it every year.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Esmeralda, thank you for your positive review. You have touched on some great points that Champion Energy focuses on- a reputation of being reliable with low rates and simplicity when renewing. We appreciate you and thank you for you continued business.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I started using Champion Energy in 2013 when I moved to Lindale. They’ve been recommended by everybody that I knew. Getting their service was very easy and I called back recently to renew my contract because my rates had gone up. You do like a three-year contract and they give you a certain price per kilowatt. After that contract is over, the price goes up. I renewed with them last fall for a five-year contract so the price per kilowatt would be lower. I talked to somebody on the phone about it and I was done after about 15 minutes. Whenever people move to town and I have an opportunity to recommend somebody, I always recommend Champion because they do a great job.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Maxwell. Thank you for your feedback and referrals. We are honored that you have recommended us to others and will continue to work hard to earn your trust and your business.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I liked Champion's price along with how many star ratings they had. I've been with them for a year and a half and it was easy renewing my contract. My first contract with them was for a year. I also called them about putting another house under their plan and had excellent customer service. I like their recommendation feature where you get a $50 credit on your statement and the person you recommended also gets a $50 credit.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Mary! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It is great customers such as yourself that get the word out about all the wonderful benefits of joining Champion Energy. We are honored that you are still satisfied with your service and you have chosen to continue with us and add another home.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Champion gave me a better rate and I've been very happy with them. I’ve been with them for many years, and I’ve been treated really well. The quality of the service is excellent, too.

Hello Arturo,

Thank you for remaining a loyal customer and taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate your business, and will continue to provide you with the customer service you expect year after year.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had TXU years ago and I changed to Champion Energy Services. Then we bought a rental property and we used Champion there for a while. When the renter moved in, we canceled that service and had them sign up with it. I just called to get it set up and there were no problems. Champion Energy is a whole lot cheaper than TXU and they were very easy to deal with. Their professionalism and overall performance have been excellent, too. I like Champion Energy.

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about Champion Energy. We are glad to know that we made such an impression on you that you have decided to continue your services with us, and even refer others to us! We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have a ministry and I help a lot of poor people who don't have electricity. I have them go with Champion where they can get cheaper electricity. I get on a three-way line with them, and that way, I get my $50 and they get their $50. The reps whom I've worked with have been great. They answer my and take care of whatever I need taken care of.

Hello Ann!

Thank you for leaving your feedback and referring others to Champion Energy. We think it's great that you are assisting others long term by helping them sign up with us to receive affordable rates and great customer service. We truly value kind customers such as you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Champion's service has been satisfactory. It was a little bit cheaper than the other providers, too. The customer service representative handled my situation right. My service installation was done online, and using their website was as easy as pie.

Champion Energy Services response

Norman, thank you for your feedback. We love to hear from long time customers such as yourself to let us know that we at still on track and meeting your expectations. We appreciate your business and the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have been with Champion Energy Services since 2008. Their reps have always been helpful when it's time to renew and when the contract expires. In addition, the rates and the reliability of their service are great.

Hello Brenda,

Thank you for being a loyal customer. The fact that you have been with us for over 10 years and remain satisfied speaks volumes! Champion truly values all of our customers and we work hard to maintain the excellent customer service that they expect.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

In the five years that I’ve been with Champion Energy, their services has been good so far and I haven’t had any issues.

Hello Sara!

Thank you for being a loyal customer and taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Champion Energy is better than my previous provider. I was able to speak with someone when I called to turn on the service and they were readily available. I didn’t have to be on hold for a long time. Most of the time, the interactions with the people I spoke with were good and I feel great about the service.

Hello Robert,

Champion Energy's #1 goal is customer satisfaction, so we love to hear from our customers to ensure we are on track. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs