Call toll free
4.41/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Video
Champion Energy Services Gallery (2)
Ranked "Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas" by J.D. Power J.D. Power
View More View More

339 Champion Energy Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I’ve been with Champion Energy for less than five years and they’ve done a good job. I’ve been satisfied with them. They are pretty helpful. Anything I’ve ever asked for, they’ve been good about getting with me and getting that information.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for being a loyal customer! We are here to assist you 24/7. Call us anytime at 877.653.5090 if you ever have any questions!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My previous electricity provider was Reliant and they were very expensive. Champion Energy is cheaper. I've been with them for many years now and the experience has been great. The switch from Reliant to Champion initially was seamless too. There was nothing I had to do. I also like that I can pay online. Then their representatives are also on the spot. When I call, they take care of whatever problem I might be having.

One time, I called Champion because I had a patient who didn’t have electricity for a week because Reliant had cut him off for non-payment. I’m a physical therapist and he was a disabled veteran who had no money. He was living in an apartment complex and Champion got him electricity with no deposits. He didn't even have to pay his Reliant bill. It was awesome. Champion Energy does good work and I like them. In fact, every time I get a chance, I get somebody to switch to Champion. They have a program where I can make money if I refer people and I’m always talking about what a good rate they have and what a good company it is. I have referred five people, which has made me a little money and also made them a little money on their bill. So I like that.

Hi Connie,

Thanks for being a Champion customer and for taking the time to leave this review for us. We read each and every one of these and appreciate you referring your friends and patients to us!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

One of my buddies got a rebate or credit with a broker which made us decide to go with Champion Energy. Our experience with them has been fine. Their reps call me once in a blue moon to renew my contract and it's been fine talking to them.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your feedback Don!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have many accounts with Champion Energy and I've been with them for almost 10 years. They always offer a low price and they are quick. Everything that I need, I just go online, and tomorrow, I have the light immediately. And it's very easy to renew. I can also go online to do it or I can just tell them. Also, their service is very good in terms of reliability. Champion Energy has been excellent.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for being a Champion customer!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Champion has better prices than Reliant, our previous provider. I have several accounts with Champion so I pay attention to the price and they are still comparable. Over the years, I buy houses and fix them up and sell them and I have property for rent too, so sometimes, I have to shorten the length of the contract, but they've always waived the fee because they know what's going on. I tell them I have five accounts and this one has to go because I sold the house and they won't keep the same provider. I also try to keep them with Champion. I say to the buyer, "Here's the rate. You can just switch it over." I tell them I had a pretty good experience with them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Hi Richard,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Glad that our team could assist you with your accounts!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Our experience with Champion Energy has been good so far. I like the weekly usage report that they send out. Also, we're currently in the process of building our house and the temporary place that we're living in right now is not energy-efficient, but our bill has been reasonable. When we finally get our house built, we would have an option to shop providers and we would look into Champion Energy first.

Hi Nocona,

Congrats on building your new home! When the time comes to secure power for your new home, please consider us and give us the chance to answer any questions you might have.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Somebody at my husband's work recommended switching to Champion. We had TXU at that time and we had a much higher per kilowatt hour charge with them. We could go online and make a switch. So, we looked through that and saw that TXU is high and then compared that with Champion. Champion also gives $25 to the customer that comes on and $25 to the person who recommends switching to Champion. I got a referral number from the person that already has Champion, and I put that in and signed up online. Also, whenever I renew my contract every year, it's through email. I just click on something and it renews. Champion's service is excellent. I highly recommend it.

Hi Karin,

We're thrilled that you heard about us through a referral! Since you enrolled, we have changed our referral program a bit where you and the friend you refer can now earn $50 instead of $25. Thanks for your business!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

DISCONNECTION NOTICE: I am so DISMAYED with Champion Energy! Back in August/September 2018 your company had a glitch in your billing which caused a DELAY in billing which I was told would NOT affect me as I pay my bill EVERY month! I was ASSURED by your representatives in customer service SEVERAL times when I called asking if they are sure because my billing always showed PAST DUE... And I was ASSURED it would NOT lead to a disconnection notice! And look at that. IT IS!! YOU ALL LIED! I have the email from a Anna ** stating that it would not be disconnected as long as I paid my bills on time... I asked her to get it in writing because I have been burned before... And lo and behold... Burned again!!

Hi Jeff,

In reviewing your account, it looks like you have spoken with a supervisor and the confusion has been cleared up. We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused and are happy that this has been resolved. If you have any other concerns, please reach out to us at 877.653.5090.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The prices at Champion Energy Services, as far as what they advertised on the radio, was cheaper compared to my previous provider at the time. I've been with them with two houses. We moved out of one house and moved with it to my current house six years ago and that was smooth. I didn't have any issues with that. Also, the bill is low and they have a very fair rate with not a lot of fees.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I switched over to Champion because of their price. As far as installation, everything has been switched, and I’ve done it through the internet or phone calls. I've been with Champion for more than five years now, and everything has always been resolved with them. Whenever I renew my contract, I would contact customer service to get the lowest rate. The service I get has been excellent and I refer Champion to others.

Hi Hayes,

Thanks for being a loyal customer. We hope to keep you for another five years!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

About five years ago, TXU was charging me $0.15 a kilowatt and Champion was charging about $0.07. I switched to Champion Energy and I’m pleased with it.

Hi Don,

Thanks for making the switch to Champion. Glad that we could cut your electricity bills in half!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I went online and found Champion Energy. I had looked at their Google reviews and they were good. Their online site is understandable as well. Also, the installers were able to switch everything over. When I started with Champion, they gave me a $50 card for referral and that was nice.

Hi Veronica,

We're so happy that you found us! Appreciate you taking the time out of your day to leave a review to let others know how your experience has been. As a customer, you too can start getting referral credits for friends you refer. Who wouldn't like to see some savings on their electricity bill? Thanks again and if you ever need anything, give us a call at 877.653.5090.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I've been with Champion for at least five years now and I have all of my accounts on Champion right now. The service is very reliable and in the couple of times that I have called in, I’ve had no trouble. The representatives have been very helpful and they have always taken care of any issues or problems that I've had. I like Champion much better than my previous provider and I recommend them. They’re a straightforward company that provides a good service at a decent price compared to others on the market. In fact, they have some better plans for the consumers to choose from.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for being a valued customer! Glad that you chose Champion to service all your homes.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had a lot of issues with TXU before and saw that Champion Energy had the best rates. Then I found a lady named Donna from Champion Energy. She is a collection analyst and she has the best customer service. I have a lot of dealings with Champion because I have about 30 vacation rentals and 60 different units, and Donna takes care of things quickly and greatly. The service has been switched over time. Some of my properties are vacation rentals, so Donna turns them on and then we transfer them to the tenant. The rates have been fluctuating and we got hit pretty hard this last round. The rates went up pretty high. I have looked a little bit and there were some better pricing, but I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I'm happy with the service from Champion, and Donna has done a phenomenal job for me.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your review Brett. Donna has been a Champion Energy employee for several years. We will be sure to pass this feedback to her!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I liked Champion Energy's prices. I switched to them through their website and had a great experience. They were easy to deal with as well. Since then, I've been recommending them all the time.

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for choosing Champion Energy and for taking advantage of our referral program!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I’ve been using Champion since I moved to Texas in 2013. Somebody said they had good rates and I was referred. Enrolling was easy and I was getting a good rate. Before my contract ended, they sent me the rate quote, which was low compared to other companies. When I called to renew, the reps just renewed and they were professional and friendly. Champion Energy is good. Whenever I refer them, I say it's the best package and people are always looking for the rate, so I tell them they have good rates. I have referred a few people and they’re liking it so far.

Hi Kriti,

Thanks for your loyal business. We appreciate the referrals!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I've used Ambit for my home for a long time and the wind power one was expensive. Somebody I know had used Champion, I switched to them and they were all right. They have a better deal and I like the locked-in price. Signing up and getting the electricity turned on were both easy and fast. They also got a website I can log into for the bill. When I'm doing a utility or service like that, it seems to be easy. I'd be able to do it by the phone 'cause I'm out. I need to be able to set up automatic payment and if it's not easy, I would go the next one. If you're considering Champion, call their number.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your review Monty!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We've been with Champion Energy for a few years, and they've taken great care of us. The people that I've dealt with on the phone have been very customer service oriented. We love Champion's referral program and we really appreciate the military discount. It makes a big difference. I recommend them all the time. Their rates are competitive and I tell people that if they're military, they have the military discount. Also, with the code that I can give them, they can save, and we can save.

Hi Amanda,

Glad that you could take advantage of the military discount!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have a handful of rental properties, so between tenants, I have to set up accounts for these houses. And I use Champion Energy because it's convenient, there's no nonsense, and I get a customer referral every time. They usually get the job done when I call them to set up a new account. They get it started the next day. I have to sit through and listen to some statements, which is kinda boring but they tell me they have to read them to me. All my houses have electricity now. I just call them up and have them change it out or terminate it. The service is there when I ask for it and it has been very good. They haven't let me down yet, and the billing's accurate. I'd tell others that Champion Energy works good. I like it, the price is competitive, and they provide good customer service. I recommend them to all my tenants when they sign a contract with me.

Hi Randolph,

Thanks for choosing Champion to use for your rental properties. Like you said, we are the no nonsense energy company. What you see is what you get! As for the "boring" statements that our agents say on the phone, these are statements that we are required to disclose to customers per the Public Utility Commission. We truly believe in transparency and disclose everything up front. We appreciate your business. Keep the referrals coming!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I switched from Ambit Energy to using Champion Energy services and I liked the plan and the free weekends. At first, I wanted to try Champion but since it was working better for me and it was cheaper, so I stayed with them. I contacted the customer service when I moved and I didn't find any issues in updating my new address and taking out the dates and the service, as well as starting on the new location. They connected my service the day before the date that I was moving in. There was an overlap of a few days in switching the accounts to the new address but everything was fine.

The overall performance and reliability of Champion's service so far are great. I'm very happy. Also, pricing is very fair and I never received any surprises. I can pay the bills online and I'm given the weekly reports on usage, estimated monthly, and when the bill's gonna arrive. I recommend Champion to my friends. If you're not happy with the service you're using, try Champion too.

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for taking the leap and giving us a try...and hopefully, staying for years to come! If you ever have any questions or comments, please share them with us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

A guy I worked with had formerly been in the business of working with large commercial corporations and businesses and shopping malls to help them select the most cost-efficient provider. He said he thought Champion Energy was the best, looking at how much you actually use and where you are. I had TXU and I switched over to Champion and I'm very happy and pleased. I was upset that I didn't renew the contract. All that rigmarole, which is such a farce is the same with all the providers and I wasn't happy about that, but Champion is good.

Hi Jena,

Thanks for choosing Champion. If you ever have questions about renewal options, please reach out at feedback@champion.energy and we'd be happy to help you choose the best plan for your home.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My friend recommended Champion Energy to me. I signed up online and their website's good. When I started using it, the price was good but lately, it has gone up. I have two properties where I'm using Champion, but then, when the contract is up, I need to re-evaluate the price. So, it could be cheaper but the service area is good.

Hi Sansan,

Thanks for your feedback. Electricity prices are constantly changing and we have seen quite an increase from last year, impacting not only us, but our competitors as well. Let us know what plans you are shopping at feedback@champion.energy and we'd happy to review them with you to pick the best one.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Champion energy has been easy to deal with. I signed up online and since getting their service, they have been pretty good. We never have any issues with them.

Thanks Cody!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I was looking for lower rates when I started with Champion and they have always been able to give me what I've been looking for. So I'm still with them. I've been with them for years and I've even had to open a number of accounts. I have new constructions going on and I have calls for temporary services. So in the last year, I've talked with them at least 10 times, and they are very helpful and knowledgeable. For the construction projects, they have to do installations, which also involve inspections, and the technicians who come out have been very good. I'm happy with Champion. The service is excellent and they're always on top of things.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your business Eva!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I switched to Champion Energy to save money and it was well worth the switch. I've been saving money for years now. I would recommend them.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for being a customer Mike!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was shopping around for prices when I decided to go with Champion and I do that every time my contract renews. Similarly, I would advise others to shop around for rates. But I've called some other companies and I'd rather not go with them because of the way they portrayed themselves over the phone. Champion, on the other hand, does that very well. When I've had to call in for something or to change a credit card, I have not had any trouble with that. Everything has worked well over the phone and they have provided good customer service. My experience in dealing with them is professional and I'm satisfied.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We've always believed in transparency and while we can't always be the cheapest electricity provider out there, we will walk you through the best plan options for your home. And, sometimes that means walking through a competitor's electricity facts label with customers to truly understand if they are getting a fair rate. Glad that you were able to call around and end up staying with us!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I signed up in April 2018 for average billing, so I could then set up auto-draft and my bills would be more or less the same every month. NOT SO MUCH! For five months my bills were about the same (200-210). The sixth month, my bill was more than twice the average month's bill had been. I contacted them and they said my average billing contract expired this month so I have to pay all the unpaid portion. This is exactly why I wanted average billing, to avoid a large surprise bill! I have had average billing before with other providers. It's intended to be open ended - if I had known it was tied to a finite date I wouldn't have signed up for it. They are not willing to work with me on the amount so I now have a $500+ bill I need to pay for. I'm looking for a new carrier.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your feedback. A member of our team will be in touch with you to explain why your average billing ended when your contract ended and to see if there is any assistance we can offer to you with your bill.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have quite a few properties and I wish that Champion have a real estate investor or a landlord department because right now, I'm having to set up each individual house separately but they're all under my name. It's messy. They make me sign the energy statement and then I have to prove to them that I sold the house or I have to turn on my utility along getting a house ready to rent and then I have to send them the rental agreement to show them that I'm no longer the person or else they charge me cancellation fee when I'm not really cancelling. There's not a good avenue set up for landlords, real estate investors or tenants in and out, to do business with them. It's just complicated. But everybody has always been very nice.

Sometimes the installation has gone really well but sometimes it has been a difficult experience because the window that they give us to be at the house, when it's a vacant house, is just a really huge window and you don't even have a place to sit or anything to do at the house. With another company they have a builders department. As a landlord or investor who's flipping houses, you can go through the builders department and you've got the same contact that you would use over and over again. They set up very streamlined turn ons and offs and we don't have that with Champion.

There was also one bad thing that happened when I bought a house from someone, subject to their existing mortgage. They were going through foreclosure so the way that I bought it is I took over their payment from their mortgage. The mortgage on the house is still on their name, but I pay it every month. There wasn't any kind of legal documents and they still have access to the mortgage to see that I'm paying it. They were having some other financial troubles and they wanted to make things difficult for me so they were calling Champion. Even though the service is set up in my company name, they called Champion twice and got them to shut off my service.

Since the house was under construction and there was no one living in the house that caused all kinds of havoc. My pool got shut down, so it turned green, which cost me a lot of money to get cleaned back out. My workmen would show and there would be no electricity and then it would take Champion a day to two to come out and turn it back on. I don't think that someone should be allowed to turn off service when the service isn't in their name. What they were doing was they were sending a copy of the mortgage statement that is neither here nor there if the service is in my name. They shouldn't have been able to turn it off. Someone should've at least called me so that was a problem. So dealing with Champion for my business has been difficult. Nevertheless, everybody has always been very nice and from a personal standpoint my service once turned on has been great

I switched to Champion from TXU on our personal home, initially, because we have another friend that uses solar electricity and he recommend Champion to us. It's probably the most economical of all of the providers in our area so that's why we switched and why I continued to stay with them, despite the difficulties I've had on the investor side. It's economical, for sure.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your feedback. We will discuss this one internally at Champion to see how we can make experiences like the ones you explained below better. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I started with Champion in March 2018. Since then, 3 of my bills have been free! This is because of the amazing referral program Champion Energy has in place. During the months that I have had to pay for electricity, the amount is an average of $50 for a 2 bedroom apartment in the middle of summer. While I have not had to contact Customer Service for any reason, I would give this company a 5 out of 5 for service! If you are interested in the referral program, you can use my code: You get $50 off your first month, and I get a $50 credit! Use this referral code: **

Hello Chelesa,

Kuddos to you for taking full advantage of our refer a friend program! It is a win-win for everyone involved. In addition to a "thank you" bonus for yourself, and a "welcome to Champion" bonus for your friends and family, you both receive first in class customer care, great rates and reliable service. Thank you for spreading the word about Champion.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The experience with Champion Energy was very good and I loved the referral program. I used to take advantage of it quite a bit. I called them one time when I needed their services and their customer service rep was nice and helpful.

Hello Roland,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with our customer care agents. We are happy to know that we were able to assist you and that your interaction was a pleasant one. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service each and every time. We want our customers to know that they are our top priority, and it should feel that way whether you reach out to us by phone, email or chat. If you need anything else, please feel free to reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs