It's that easy Request Information
4.01/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Video
Champion Energy Services Gallery (2)
Ranked "Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas" by J.D. Power J.D. Power
View More View More

295 Champion Energy Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I called today to discuss changing my energy contract. First, when my contract expired in June, all I received was one email, which I overlooked. I don't know about you, but in today's world I occasionally look over an email or two. Other companies I have used in the past have at least called and/or sent snail mail. Needless to say, my month to month rate went into effect, and I was alarmed when my next bill was due. So I hurriedly entered into a new contract, which is also horrible. I finally had time to call today, as teachers don't have much time during the day to make business calls, and was told they can only help me get into a better contract if I pay the $250 termination fee. Otherwise, I should have switched within 3 business days. Thanks a lot.

I told them that other companies have offered to reimburse me for those fees if I switch to their service, but I'd rather keep my business with Champion as I have had no problems with them up to this point. They plainly told me, "No," that they'd rather lose my service than waive an early termination fee. As a loyal customer that has never missed a payment, I am shocked at how little they care about their customers. Champion Energy only cares about surprising you with higher bills and collecting fees now. I will be switching due to their inability to be flexible and creative even if they are politely rigid and shortsighted.

Champion Energy Services response

Hi Nicholas. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We will review your rate/contract and see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer. A member of our team will be in touch with you soon.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My house build in 2017 and I have been Champion Energy customer in 3 yrs. This year bill is so high, kWh Usage increase double every month. I don't think so it is normal in this summer. I also email and call customer services, they said because this is summer bill. Any customer have bills as me, and what do you think about this. I was renew contract on Aug 9, so I stick with them 2 yrs... how could I do??? Bill Date: 05/08/18. Bill Period - 04/05/18 thru 05/04/18: 250.00 kwh. Bill Date: 06/11/18. Bill Period - 05/04/18 thru 06/05/18: 557.00 kwh. Bill Date: 08/02/18. Bill Period - 06/05/18 thru 07/06/18: 949.00 kwh. Bill Date: 08/10/18. Bill Period - 07/06/18 thru 08/07/18: 1,510.00 kwh.

Hello,

We have reviewed your account and see that the main increase in your bill is due to being out of contract for a month prior to renewing. When your contract expires you go on a month-to-month variable rate based on market conditions. These rates are published on our website at https://www.championenergyservices.com/historicalprices/TX-Month-to-Month.html. We will have a member from our team reach out to you to discuss further.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My house build in 2017 and I have been Champion Energy customer in 3 yrs. This year's bill is so high, kWh Usage increase double every month. I don't think so it is normal in this summer. I also email and call customer services, they said because this is summer bill. Any customer have bills as me, and what do you think about this. I was renew contract on Aug 9, so I stick with them 2 yrs... how could I do??? Bill Date: 05/08/18. Bill Period - 04/05/18 thru 05/04/18: 250.00 kwh. Bill Date: 06/11/18. Bill Period - 05/04/18 thru 06/05/18: 557.00 kwh. Bill Date: 08/02/18. Bill Period - 06/05/18 thru 07/06/18: 949.00 kwh. Bill Date: 08/10/18. Bill Period - 07/06/18 thru 08/07/18: 1,510.00 kwh.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

It's difficult enough to get ahold of a real person when calling Champion Energy. When Corlonda answered my call, she couldn't answer any of my questions regarding rate plans. I simply asked if there was a reason new customers are given different rates than existing customers. She told me she couldn't answer me and would have the BILLING department call me back! I told her I did not need the billing department as it was not a billing question. She went 'round and 'round with me not answering me, but simply repeating her canned answer over and over. It's fine that she didn't know the answer, but I don't appreciate being passed on to someone else who isn't the right person to answer my question. I then was transferred to Terrilyn who was so rude to me and bullied me into silence that I am now planning to cancel my service rather than try again with another rep.

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience as this is not the norm. We will review your conversations with those reps as all reps should be knowledgeable of answering your simple questions.

We may have some lucrative offers out there to get new customers, but we treat existing customers the same. You can view new customer rates and renewal rates on our website. Complete transparency. If you are up for renewal and see another offer out there, we are happy to review options with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I have requested that my service be switched back to PSE&G for 3 months now. I have been a customer of Champion Energy for over 1 year. Apparently, in November the contract expired and the rates were converted from fixed to variable. I have been trying to resolve this matter now since June. Every month my billed rate is higher and higher. My most recent bill indicates that I would have been billed 0.11 per kwh with PSE&G which is equivalent to $145. 53 based on my usage. Instead, through Champion 0.16 and the current charges are $207.70. Last month was over $40 more and this month was $60. Over the last several months that has totaled over hundreds of dollars.

I contacted PSE&G today and they indicated that there has not been any request submitted by Champion Energy to be converted to PSE&G. The customer service personnel are less than helpful and the supervisors do not return calls or assist when calls are escalated. I reached out to PSE&G today who indicated that they NEVER received notice from Champion. I contacted Customer services again for the 4th time since June. I keep getting the same story. It will be escalated and someone will get back to me in 24 hours. This matter should have been resolved months ago. I will never recommend this company to anyone. They are experts in scamming customers.

Hi Janet,

We are looking into your service with us to get this resolved. A member of our team will be in touch soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My 87 year old mother answered the door and one of your representatives told her that Reliant was no longer and that they changed their name to Champion Energy. Two months later, we now have a Center Point energy truck at our door telling us he is going to cut off our power due to non-payment. She has always been direct draft from her checking account. Now I spent the next few hours switching back. Being this dishonest right from the start. I have no use for you.

Hi Eric,

Sorry to hear that your mother was given false information from an outside vendor. We will not tolerate misrepresentation of our brand and will address this immediately.

Can you email us your account information to feedback@champion.energy to investigate this further?

Resolution response: July 13, 2018

Thank you. Not only did Champion come through on the rate, they treated my mother with extreme courtesy and respect. Although the start was rocky, I am very pleased with how everything was handled after that and feel confident that the future will be representative of Champion's reputation.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Champion hires other companies to go door-to-door, selling their services. The person who signed us up told my mom that she should be getting a discount of up to 40% because she is over 70 and that she could get the discount after her first full bill if she signed a 36 month contract. The only discount that Champion offers is a 10% and that is only on a 24 month contract. They took the person's information, but as he does not work directly for them, I doubt that there is anything they can really do. Personally, I felt that they could have offered her the 10% discount at least for the 24 months, but her contract is too long. On top of all of that, her bill was actually $70 higher than with her original company. We're stuck for 35 more months, and then we are out of here. Champion made no effort to make things right, and they should and could have done better.

Hi Angela,

I looked at your mom's account and it appears that she was able to get her account all taken care of with our customer care agent, Rachel. We were able to adjust her rate and she is quite pleased. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Your website chose a 24 mo. renewal instead of the 12 mo. option I chose. The young lady who helped through your legal dept. to cancel was very helpful & efficient. Ya'll might want to fix that glitch in your system that automatically enrolls people in something they don't want.

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback! The system error that your experienced was a rare occurrence and has been fixed. A member of our team will be in touch with you to discuss renewal options.

Thanks!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Champion provides good service and keeps me up to date and informed. On the other hand, their rates continue to go up each year. They are less competitive each time I renew and I don't gain any benefit from being a long time customer.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for renewing with us. Prices in the market have significantly gone up for this summer, making our current plans more expensive than what you have historically been used to. It's hard to remember that we were paying even higher prices than this a few years ago.

We do value your business over the years. Someone from our team will be in touch with you to review your plan.

Original review: May 17, 2018

It would have saved me time had there been a selection button for the silver plan. It was not clear my apparent that I had to verify qualification first and then from there select that option. I verified and then went back to the list of options. Ended up having to wait for chat help.

Hi Sonja,

Sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulty in processing your renewal. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration as we continue to redesign our website to make it easy for customers to navigate.If you have any additional questions, please contact us 24/7 at 877.653.5090.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I want to point out Yesenia for all the help she provided in handling the renewal of my contract. She took all the time necessary to find the best rate for me, both online and on the phone. She was very prompt in calling me in answer to my emails. And she maintained a very pleasant manner during the entire process. Thank you!

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing your experience with our customer care agent, Yesenia. We will share this with both the agent and her supervisor. We appreciate having you as a customer and thank you for continuing to power your home with Champion.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Jose ** was very helpful in helping me renew my contract with Champion energy. We have been pleased with the service we get from Champion and feel their rates are competitive in the industry. I would recommend Champion to anyone in the Dallas area.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your feedback Cindie!

Original review: April 24, 2018

You asked on the email sent to me if I'm happy with my new plan rate, well, while I love to stay with one provider and hate switching around, I expect that my new rate be less than my previous plan rate considering the length of the new contract. But that's not the case... so not happy!

Champion Energy Services response

We would hope that you stay too! A member of our team will be in touch with you to evaluate plan options for your renewal. Market prices have changed since you initially enrolled with us likely resulting in higher prices at renewal. We value our customers and will make our best effort to provide you a fair rate.

Original review: April 22, 2018

My comment is on the ease of contract renewal. Champion Energy makes it easy to renew. They have all the tools needed to make a decision based on your needs and budget. I will recommend Champion Energy to my family and friends.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks Timothy! We hope that you take advantage of our referral program where you get a $50 bill credit for each friend you refer!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I love Champion Energy. The rates are great and so is the customer service. I have gotten to a human with no hassle or long wait time every time I have called. The people are friendly and professional and know what they're talking about. Highly recommend this company.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks Margaret! We love our customers too and make our best effort to educate customers while answering any questions.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Excellent energy provider. Outstanding and kind customer service. Love this company. Honest and very fair. Highly recommend!!! Have been a loyal customer for many years and will continue to do so. No hidden fees and statements are very easy to read.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your kind words Esther!

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had initially received a renewal rate of 6.2 for the Champ Saver 24. Wasn't aware rates change so quickly. I waited to see if I received again the same offer but instead all the later offers I received were pretty high. In addition to that on choosetexaspower.org it is advertised that the Champ Saver 24 included an AC Tune Up but was told by service rep you don't anymore. Not interested in thermostat or bulbs as I already have those in my home. I have been with Champion ever since I moved to Texas.

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for renewing with Champion. It looks like our team was able to work with you on your renewal rate. For the A/C tune-up offered by Centerpoint, we will be reaching out to you soon to get this completed. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. You can also email us directly at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I was disappointed that Champion would not match the price with First Choice. As you can see I still stayed with champion. I have recommended several people to Champion. I know there are lots of other provider but I chose Champion. I believe Champion should reward their customer for being a long time customer. Thank you.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for deciding to stay with Champion. We try our best to price match competitive offers out there, but can't necessarily be the cheapest all the time. We appreciate your loyalty and will take a look at your account to see if any loyalty incentives are available.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We have had Champion Energy at our house for over 6 years. Never had any problem with the service. Customer service is always very helpful and friendly. If the electricity goes out for some reason, it's not for long. Champion addresses the situation in a timely manner! I would recommend Champion Energy.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for allowing Champion to power your home for all these years. We appreciate it!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Rachel ** is amazing. I was upset after renewing my contract. I looked at my current bill after I paid it, I found that I renewed at a higher percentage. I called to voice my displeasure and cancel my renewal and possibly my service. Rachel was amazing, she was so informed, so knowledgeable, she took the time explain the market pricing and even tried get me a 2 year contract instead of 1 year I had signed up for, but the market price already was going up. I think you should use this call as a training tool for other employees. She showed professionalism, concern and definitely eager to help me with genuine concern. She made me a customer for life. Thank you Rachel.

Hi Gerrie,

We are thrilled that Rachel was able to walk you through the prices available. Market prices are going up this year and we encourage all customers to lock in a fixed rate to get through the summer. We do pull calls of our agents as training tools and look forward to hearing your conversation. We'll be sure to pass this information along to Rachel's supervisor. Thanks for choosing to renew with Champion!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I recommend Champion Energy. Use my promo code ** for 25.00-50.00 off your first bill when signing up. Champion has excellent low energy rates. Customer service is great and professional. Mobile app is easy to use to pay your bill or check current power usage. They even send a weekly energy report to your email that shows usage and current bill amount. Again, please use promo code ** for 25.00-50.00 off your first bill when signing up.

Hi Scott,

You can now earn $50 for each friend you refer to Champion. Thanks for spreading the word!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Customer service representative was very helpful in renewing my contract. One negative aspect about renewing was that I did not receive the $25 renewal credit that I received when I renewed in the past. I have been a Champion customer for several years, so I was hoping to get the $25 promotion credit.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Champion Energy provides us electricity and they have that weekly consumption graph that shows how much consumption of energy you’ve used for the week which I like. In several instances, we have been out of town and our consumption has shown like it’s the highest when we’re not even there so we’re wondering how that is happening.

And I spoke with someone yesterday and they told me that Champion Energy does not have the same statistics that we see. And they referred me to an organization that’s governed by the state of Texas, for me to go and take a look at it there because it provides more detailed information like on a couple of days of energy. I was concerned because I wasn’t sure how that’s happening, how they're tracking statistics when the energy should be the lowest when we are not home.

I spoke with someone yesterday and everything was fine. He handled pretty much everything well, though he was not able to provide me the information that I requested because he said he didn’t have it but they were all positive.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I set up service with Champion Energy through the online system. In Texas, we have PowerToChoose.org. I went through that, found the rate, liked it, and signed up. For installation, it just went through the current line. Champion Energy's service has been fine, with no issues.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

When we started out with Champion Energy, it was just a cost thing, but it grew into something more than that. I did it all online, which was great, and the process was smooth as can be. They provide excellent performance, and I’ve never had any issues with them. I like the weekly email that shows my usage because I’m all about control, and controlling my money. That feature lets me know where I’m at, instead of waiting at the end of the month to have a surprise. I would recommend them. In fact, I’ve actually had four friends from different cities that I’ve helped sign up with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I have been a customer for 3 years and never had an issue. The plans and rates are ready to understand and customer service is always helpful and professional. Great service and I'm a satisfied customer. I have moved though multiple apartments and never had an issue switching service over.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I find the customer service superior and the prices reasonable at Champion Energy. I highly recommend this power company to all my friends and family. The renewal was so easy to complete online even for someone like me as I am not tech savvy. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I set up Champion's service online which was easy. I just put in my personal information and that was it. It's only been three months but so far, I haven’t had any trouble. They email me the weekly reports on how much energy I'm using compared to last week, so that helps. It's a cheap energy service that’s easy to use, and I would recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I really appreciate the weekly emails I get that shows how much electricity I’ve used every day of the previous week. My other electricity provider didn’t do that, so that’s a benefit from being with Champion Energy Services. I had some questions about my bill so I called their customer service team and they were very helpful and I was able to understand everything. I called back because I forgot to ask someone if they could charge my credit card every month instead of having to send them a check and they helped me with that one too. They were very professional. Champion Energy is very reliable and I appreciate working with them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We're a church but someone else lived there before and they provided the electricity. So, there was power there already and we called Champion and then they just took over the power. And it worked fine. The weekly emails we get from Champion are really positive. We are enjoying the weekly notices of the usage especially since someone moved out there.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs