2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.60/5

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: July 4, 2020

I have been with Champion Energy for 9 years. Each time that my contract is about to expire, I check to make sure that they still have the best rates. I appreciate that they send me a notice letting me know that my contract is about to expire. I had a contract with another well-known carrier previously and when my contract expired, they just jacked up my rates without notice. I still get offers from them in the mail and throw them away.

Their rates were the lowest I found. Also, it seems like everyone else gives you high rates for low energy usage so that if you cut back you energy usage, you are penalized. Champion's rates are flat not matter how much energy you use. I average my rate out over the year so that in the summer, I pay the same amount as I pay in the winter so I don't have high summer rates. I will stay with Champion energy as long as they keep giving the best rates and service.

Hi David,

Thank you for your several years with us as a customer and for sharing your experience. We like to give our customers a heads up before their contract expires so they are still under the price protection they signed up with when it comes time to renew. We're pleased to hear that you are enjoying your contract with us and if you ever have any questions please feel free to email us at feedback@champion.energy or call 877.653.5090

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I've been with Champion for almost 6 years and I’ve never had a bill go over $200. My bills have always been great and I've never had an issue with them. I’ve only ever spoken to customer service once and that may have been when we moved almost 4 years ago. Otherwise, I've never had a reason to really have to call them. And I’ve already gotten my sister, my other sister, and my sister-in-law to sign up for them.

The referral program is a blessing in a way because after my husband and I had a baby, I didn't go back to work. And then, he ended up switching jobs that put him in a part-time position. And so, when we didn’t have money, one of the referral codes kicked in on one of our bills. It helps out when we really needed it and it was great. So, I’ve told everybody about them. There are too many people who signed up with other companies and as soon as I hear the name of that company, I just shake my head and said, “No, why did you go with that company? The rate is bad.”

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I love Champion Energy. My parents and I have been with them close to 15 years already. We’ve never used anyone else but Champion. My mom switched to Champion Energy from Reliant Energy, and then ever since, it was Champion. And then I moved out. Now, I live with my wife and we also use Champion Energy. I have two offices for my business and they both are Champion Energy as well.

They don’t ever overbill you and they offer you discounts on LED light bulbs. They help you save money. With them, we saved a lot of money. Plus they send you a graph every month that tells you how much electricity you’re using, and what is your usage compares to everyone else’s. So, it really helps us keep track of our usage. I speak with their customer service sometimes, when I forget my password to log in, just to check things. They’re 24 hours. I recommend Champion for everyone that I know, regardless if it’s business-wise or if it's a household. They’re the best. I wouldn’t recommend anyone else but them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

When my coworkers had told me about the Power to Choose website, Champion Energy Services had the best rates for the apartment that I was moving into and when I bought a house, I carried them over to the address. However, once I sell my old house, I’m gonna be canceling with Champion. I moved to an area with a co-op and they weren't able to provide service there. And I was upset when I realized that I wasn’t gonna be able to move the service. I've been with them for almost five years. Whenever my contract was running up, I called in to ask about new promos. Everyone was very helpful and knowledgeable. Phone calls have been easy and straightforward.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for being a loyal customer of ours. Sorry to hear that your new home is not in a deregulated market that we can serve. We hope that your move went well and hope that you check us out again in the future!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

We’ve been with Champion for several years, about 10 years now. I have them here and in Austin. I’m on a three-year at a time contract and I call them whenever I renew. It’s automatic if you don’t do anything. But you get an email that your contract date is coming up and it will continue on a monthly basis, and that the rate can change. So, basically what you do is call to look up what the rates are. And I’ve stayed with them every time after looking. But I had to call to renew for another contract, otherwise the rate would vary monthly and can go wherever their normally monthly rates would be versus having a fixed rate over a period of time. So far, I’m satisfied them. I’m fine with their rating, but if they live slightly somewhere else, it can be different. It depends on what people are looking for. There are options like a 6-month, 12-month, 24-month in different levels or rates. I do three years just because I don’t wanna mess with that more often.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I recently learned that Champion Energy has a rate for senior citizens. I called about it and the rate was higher than I am now paying. I was told that at the beginning of August the rate would go down because cooler weather is coming and I should call back then. I did and was told that the rate is now much lower than before.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for renewing on the Champ Silver-24 plan with us! Rates do tend to fluctuate depending on the market, but I'm glad by holding off a little you were able to secure a lower rate than your contract from before. If you have any questions about your renewal, please reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Been with Champion for 24 months and experience has been the best in savings, customer service, and overall excellence. I highly recommend Champion and have just renewed my contract for another 24 months. Keep up the super customer service and great energy prices.

Hi Alexander,

Awesome to hear that! We're glad to hear that you liked your first two years with us that you decided to renew. If you have any questions on your recent renewal, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy. Thank you!

Original review: July 21, 2020

Great experience renewing, again, with Champion. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. Easy to deal with and very competitive rates, so no need to go through the hassle of shopping. Really like the easy of dealing with Champion!

Hi Steven,

Glad we could make renewing with Champion simple for you! If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to feedback@champion.energy. Thank you!

Original review: July 5, 2020

I renewed under a certain plan and your website confirmed a different plan, rather than the one I chose. I chose the plan I wanted for a reason. I called after noticing that you confirmed the wrong plan. You’re attempting to lock in a contract for the wrong plan. Have yet to hear back about fixing this issue. Why do you redirect customers on your website to apply a plan that is not chosen?

Hi Zachary,

This is being taken care of. We apologize for the hassle. A member of our team will be in touch shortly.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I called and renewed my service, was easy and fast. I have been a customer for several years and very pleased with Champion Energy. I am on the Champ Silver 24 plan for seniors. It is a fixed rate plan.

Hi Stanley,

Happy to hear that your renewal experience with us was a breeze! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Champion Energy Services author review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team