2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

4.5/5 (471 ratings)

About Champion Energy Services

Champion Energy Services is an energy provider that offers low fixed rates for electricity plans. The company primarily works in Texas, but it also operates in certain parts of Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. It offers energy-efficient options and an electricity-tracking app.

Pros

• Green energy options
  • Low fixed rates
  • Energy-tracking app

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • Pricing varies

Bottom Line

Champion Energy is an electricity provider available in Texas and other select states. It offers flexible energy plans with transparent pricing and low rates. It also has an easy-to-use website and an energy-tracking app.

Top Champion Energy Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been with Champion 4 or 5 years.. can't remember exactly. One thing I love is the weekly update on how much I have used and what my projected bill will be… I am 77 and stil...

Verified

Great experience renewing, again, with Champion. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. Easy to deal with and very competitive rates, so no need to go through the ha...

What is Champion Energy?

Champion Energy is an electricity provider that offers low rates and 24/7 customer care. It focuses primarily on the deregulated Texas energy market but serves more than 2 million residential, governmental, commercial and industrial customers nationwide, including in Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Maine. It’s not affiliated with a utility company and lets you track your weekly energy usage.

How does Champion Energy work?

Champion Energy’s team of representatives helps find the right energy solutions for you. The company guarantees low prices and a stress-free experience. You’ll need to enroll as a new customer for your business or your home, then Champion Energy finds an ideal cost-effective energy plan for you. Once you’re enrolled, you can track your usage and pay your bills with the company’s app.

Champion Energy rates

Champion Energy offers various electricity plans — but keep in mind that all its prices vary based on location and usage. It claims its services are affordable, starting at an 18-month fixed rate of 10.4 cents per kWh in Houston. Champion Energy's popular plans include:

• Champ Saver – 12: Offers a 12-month fixed-rate; ideal for renters on the lookout for a better deal with a new lease
  • Champion Money and Power Free Weekends – 12: For those who spend most weekends away
  • Champion Money and Power Free Nights – 12: Usually includes a higher rate earlier in the day; good for those not home during peak energy usage times (usually 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
  • Champion Energy Renewable Options: Limitless energy with minimal environmental impact; limits carbon footprints

Champion Energy Services FAQ

Who owns Champion Energy?
Calpine Corporation owns Champion Energy Services.
Where is Champion Energy Services available?
Champion Energy operates in deregulated electric energy markets in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Maine.
Where is Champion Energy Services located?
Champion Energy is headquartered in Houston, Texas.
Does Champion Energy Services offer 24/7 customer service?
Yes, Champion Energy offers 24/7 customer care, according to its website.

Is Champion Energy a good company?

Champion Energy is a solid option for those looking for low-price electricity plans in deregulated markets. The company has a team of industry experts who help find the right plan for you. It also offers some green-friendly options and lets you track your usage and pay your bills through its app.

Champion Energy Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: July 13, 2021

I am choosing Champion again because of a good rate and no confusing gimmicks. I was so disappointed in how many companies advertise a really low rate, till you look at the complete picture. The really low rate often only applies at 1000KW. The rate at 500KW is so high that the bill for 500KW is higher than the bill for 1000KW. So much for lower bills in winter or cutting back to save money! You have to use more electricity to pay less. Might work if you like your house cold and ignore warnings to cut back to protect the power grid. But if you try to conserve energy, you are charged a penalty! To save money, you must increase your usage. They are basically making people who use less power pay more so people who use more power can pay less!

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your review! We always offer no gimmicks and fair rates!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2021

This is the first electricity provider I've reviewed after the initial contract. Others would always rise renewal prices and would make me go shopping again. Champion energy had one of the lowest rates in my area with good contract terms. The rate offers always have an actual price per unit (after all fees), so I can see real numbers. My electricity bills were always what I expected (and sometimes even lower than I expected). Usage tracker is amazing! Only with one day delay. I can see how much electricity I waste and adjust my habits. I will stick with Champion Energy for a while.

Hi Jovita,

Thank you for choosing Champion to power your home! We're thrilled to hear about your seamless renewal experience. Please let us know if you have any questions by contacting feedback@champion.energy. Thanks you!

Original review: June 8, 2021

Before I signed with Champion, I used to spend hours going through all the companies and rates to get the best one for us because we are retired on a fixed income. I found Champion to have the best rates consistently and I have never regretted signing with them. No gift cards, rebates or other gimmicks, just good rates and great service! Anyone looking for a fair reliable energy service company, Champion is the one! Great job!!!!

Hi William,

Thanks for expressing your satisfaction with Champion. We are proud to be your electricity provider.

Original review: June 1, 2021

After years of being gouged by electric companies, it has been refreshing to have a no-nonsense experience. The pricing has been fair, reasonable, and without a need to call customer service. My service was uninterrupted during the winter storm, and my electric delivery pricing was stable throughout the duration of summer and winter. I really cannot say enough about Champion Energy, but if all things remain the same the company has a customer for as long as I reside in Texas.

Champion Energy Services response

We appreciate you! Thanks for choosing Champion to power your home.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Have been a Champion Energy Service customer for years and have been very pleased with the quality of their service. Their notifications of service used on a weekly basis is very informative and helpful in managing our electricity usage. Their program offers are also better than most and their friendly service puts them over the top for caring for their customers.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are proud to be your electricity provider.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Champion Energy is the best. I just resigned for 3 more years. Never ever had any problems. Bills are easy to read and the pricing is great. Their customer service is second to none. I will stay with Champion as long as I have to buy electric

Champion Energy Services response

We appreciate you! Thank you for choosing Champion to power your home.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Hi, we received terrible service from Champion. Their phones were out of order for about a week, going to a busy signal after waiting 10 plus minutes. We sent an email to their email helpdesk and received no response. We received renewal notices during this time period but they were not honored at the original price. Their selections are extremely limited. Also, they offered some energy-saving lightbulbs last year or the year before which were said to last up-to 13 years. They went out two days ago.

Champion Energy Services response

We are sorry to hear this. Please reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy and we will work to resolve these issues.

Original review: July 3, 2021

I switched to Champion Energy several years ago and wish that I had made the switch sooner. There is no comparison from what I was receiving from TXU to Champion. The customer service and money I have saved is amazing. Thank you.

Hi Gary,

Original review: June 23, 2021

Received the Notice from you for Renewal of my Champ Silver-24 with an Avg price per kwh 10.4¢. But when I tried to renew it online, it gave me the Avg price per kwh 11.0¢. That is cheating. Called Champion people. They said price changes every minute so can't guarantee any price. Then what is the purpose of Sending the Renewal Price Notice when they can't follow it thru.

Hi,

We would love to resolve this issue for you. Please send your account information to feedback@champion.energy for further review.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I almost died inside my apartment in February 2021 due to the freezing temperatures in Irving, TX and hours/days without any power (and, consequently, no heating, no warm food). Whose fault is that? Is Champion Energy/State of Texas doing something to avoid the same catastrophe in the winter of 2022?

Hi Flavio,

I'm sorry to hear that you were left without power during the terrible winter storm of February 2021 that left thousands of Texans without power due to the high demand and low supply of electricity.

Champion Energy Services Company Information