2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.66/5

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I've been with Champion for almost 6 years and I’ve never had a bill go over $200. My bills have always been great and I've never had an issue with them. I’ve only ever spoken to customer service once and that may have been when we moved almost 4 years ago. Otherwise, I've never had a reason to really have to call them. And I’ve already gotten my sister, my other sister, and my sister-in-law to sign up for them.

The referral program is a blessing in a way because after my husband and I had a baby, I didn't go back to work. And then, he ended up switching jobs that put him in a part-time position. And so, when we didn’t have money, one of the referral codes kicked in on one of our bills. It helps out when we really needed it and it was great. So, I’ve told everybody about them. There are too many people who signed up with other companies and as soon as I hear the name of that company, I just shake my head and said, “No, why did you go with that company? The rate is bad.”

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I love Champion Energy. My parents and I have been with them close to 15 years already. We’ve never used anyone else but Champion. My mom switched to Champion Energy from Reliant Energy, and then ever since, it was Champion. And then I moved out. Now, I live with my wife and we also use Champion Energy. I have two offices for my business and they both are Champion Energy as well.

They don’t ever overbill you and they offer you discounts on LED light bulbs. They help you save money. With them, we saved a lot of money. Plus they send you a graph every month that tells you how much electricity you’re using, and what is your usage compares to everyone else’s. So, it really helps us keep track of our usage. I speak with their customer service sometimes, when I forget my password to log in, just to check things. They’re 24 hours. I recommend Champion for everyone that I know, regardless if it’s business-wise or if it's a household. They’re the best. I wouldn’t recommend anyone else but them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I chose Champion Energy’s straightforward, fixed rate Champ Saver 12 month plan for my 1500 square foot apartment in Dallas after extensive research and comparisons. Startup was seamless, and my energy was cut by 50-60%. I was so pleased that I renewed with Champion a year later with the Champ Saver 24 month plan. Customer service and communication are top notch. I get a weekly usage report via email so I can monitor my usage and eliminate any surprises on my monthly bill. I can also check daily, weekly, and monthly usage anytime on their website. There are no gimmicks or hidden charges. As you can see, I am very happy with my decision to choose Champion. They also have a referral program which allows you and your friends to receive a $50 credit. If this review has been helpful to you, please use my referral code ** to receive a $50 credit on your first bill.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Kathryn. We are proud that you decided to stay with Champion and appreciate your loyalty. We will continue to work hard to earn your trust and your business. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I’ve enjoyed my experience with using Champion Energy. I’ve been with them for five years or so, and I went with them mainly for the rate. They always have a good rate plan. So, every time I move, I use Champion. From the times that I’ve dealt with customer service, the service is phenomenal. I just have questions as far as establishing service at one apartment and then another one. And all my questions are always answered timely and accurately.

Normally, I just apply online to establish my date of service, and the lights were turned on then. It’s more so like the convenience of it. When I know that I go online, I put in my Social, I'll wait a couple minutes, and they tell me that I’m approved, just like I did recently. So, I went on the week before, I applied, my service is established, and when I went over there Friday evening, the lights and everything were turned on. Even on top of that, just like the few days that I was billed for, the bill was only 50 bucks, which was great.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ashley. Thank you for leaving your feedback and the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I'm a super user for Champion. We own a lot of condominiums that we rent out and I give my referral code to all of our residents when they’re signing up for electricity. So, my electricity through Champion is super cheap because I keep getting all these referral codes. Every year, I have to get a W-2 from them because I get over $600 worth of free service from them.

Champion's got one of the best deals around. We've been with them for about 15 years now and doing the renewal is fairly easy. They’re straightforward. A lot of the other companies are kinda shifty. They’ll charge things like base fees and user fees that are not easily identifiable when you're looking at the plans. That's part of what I tell our residents. They can go with anybody that they want. We go with Champion because traditionally, they’ve had among the lowest prices. They may not have exactly the lowest price but they’re almost always the lowest priced, and also a lot of companies will have a lower price for a higher usage. The price that they advertise is the 2,000 kilowatt-hours per month plan. But most of our units don’t use 2,000 kilowatts of power each month. It’s well below that.

If you're looking at a plan from Reliant versus a plan from Champion, and Reliant’s plan says that it’s 9.8 cents per kilowatt-hour versus Champion's plan at 10.3 cents per kilowatt-hour, that looks like Champion's more expensive. But the reality is that if you look at under 500 or under 1,000 kilowatt-hour usage, it might be significantly lower, which it usually is, and that Reliant will also charge an extra fee with a below 800 kilowatt-hours of usage each month. So, all these things go into the price that most people don’t know to look for.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Sabrina. You are correct,many providers have hidden charges. Champion never charges customers a base fee and there are no hidden charges-just simplistic easy to understand terms. We appreciate your loyalty and we think that is awesome that you are taking full advantage of our Connect-A-Friend program.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

So happy I decided to go with Champion Energy! Everyone I have worked with is extremely nice and helpful. I am never placed on hold when I call and whatever I am calling about is always resolved very quickly. 10 stars!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Everything, including Champion's website, has been good.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Signing up and renewing with Champion is very easy. We bought and sold a couple of homes since we started with Champion, and I’ve always been able to discontinue and sign up and initiate service like a breeze. I’ve been able to do it all online. Everybody would enjoy that. Everything with Champion has been good.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I have used quite a few providers prior to using Champion Energy, and I got a good rate with them. I then locked it in. Their customer service representatives were good. Champion took over the things and they just turned it on, so there was no installation. It is good and I like it. Check the rates. If it’s a good rate, then go with it. Overall, it was a good and smooth experience.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

In the past, I've had City of Austin as my provider when I was at the apartment. Then, I heard about Champion with friends. I went with them because their service is good -- they are better than my previous provider. I locked in on an special rate last year. Their reps are always ready, prompt, and very responsive, too. I'm satisfied.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team