4.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I chose Champion Energy’s straightforward, fixed rate Champ Saver 12 month plan for my 1500 square foot apartment in Dallas after extensive research and comparisons. Startup was seamless, and my energy was cut by 50-60%. I was so pleased that I renewed with Champion a year later with the Champ Saver 24 month plan. Customer service and communication are top notch. I get a weekly usage report via email so I can monitor my usage and eliminate any surprises on my monthly bill. I can also check daily, weekly, and monthly usage anytime on their website. There are no gimmicks or hidden charges. As you can see, I am very happy with my decision to choose Champion. They also have a referral program which allows you and your friends to receive a $50 credit. If this review has been helpful to you, please use my referral code ** to receive a $50 credit on your first bill.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Kathryn. We are proud that you decided to stay with Champion and appreciate your loyalty. We will continue to work hard to earn your trust and your business. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I’ve enjoyed my experience with using Champion Energy. I’ve been with them for five years or so, and I went with them mainly for the rate. They always have a good rate plan. So, every time I move, I use Champion. From the times that I’ve dealt with customer service, the service is phenomenal. I just have questions as far as establishing service at one apartment and then another one. And all my questions are always answered timely and accurately.

Normally, I just apply online to establish my date of service, and the lights were turned on then. It’s more so like the convenience of it. When I know that I go online, I put in my Social, I'll wait a couple minutes, and they tell me that I’m approved, just like I did recently. So, I went on the week before, I applied, my service is established, and when I went over there Friday evening, the lights and everything were turned on. Even on top of that, just like the few days that I was billed for, the bill was only 50 bucks, which was great.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ashley. Thank you for leaving your feedback and the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I'm a super user for Champion. We own a lot of condominiums that we rent out and I give my referral code to all of our residents when they’re signing up for electricity. So, my electricity through Champion is super cheap because I keep getting all these referral codes. Every year, I have to get a W-2 from them because I get over $600 worth of free service from them.

Champion's got one of the best deals around. We've been with them for about 15 years now and doing the renewal is fairly easy. They’re straightforward. A lot of the other companies are kinda shifty. They’ll charge things like base fees and user fees that are not easily identifiable when you're looking at the plans. That's part of what I tell our residents. They can go with anybody that they want. We go with Champion because traditionally, they’ve had among the lowest prices. They may not have exactly the lowest price but they’re almost always the lowest priced, and also a lot of companies will have a lower price for a higher usage. The price that they advertise is the 2,000 kilowatt-hours per month plan. But most of our units don’t use 2,000 kilowatts of power each month. It’s well below that.

If you're looking at a plan from Reliant versus a plan from Champion, and Reliant’s plan says that it’s 9.8 cents per kilowatt-hour versus Champion's plan at 10.3 cents per kilowatt-hour, that looks like Champion's more expensive. But the reality is that if you look at under 500 or under 1,000 kilowatt-hour usage, it might be significantly lower, which it usually is, and that Reliant will also charge an extra fee with a below 800 kilowatt-hours of usage each month. So, all these things go into the price that most people don’t know to look for.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Sabrina. You are correct,many providers have hidden charges. Champion never charges customers a base fee and there are no hidden charges-just simplistic easy to understand terms. We appreciate your loyalty and we think that is awesome that you are taking full advantage of our Connect-A-Friend program.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was referred to Champion and I've been using them for years. My brother and I have about 30 or 40 accounts with them, and we both like the service. If I have any questions or I wanna add a new account, I can call them and they typically answer right away. I don't have to wait on hold. They've answered everything fairly quick and they've resolved any issues that I've had fairly quick as well. I also like that they have a $25 referral fee.

I have many different accounts with Champion and every one of them has been really good. There was one a while back where one of the gentlemen told me that if I wanted the service faster, I could pay an extra $35. It didn't end up happening. When I called again, they told me, "We don't even offer that," and my account was credited back. The person that I spoke to at the end ended up resolving everything. Other than that, everything has been perfect. It's been an A+ experience with all the services that I've gotten.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ramiro, we are glad that your issue was corrected. Thank you for being a loyal customer, and we appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My previous electricity provider was Reliant and they were very expensive. Champion Energy is cheaper. I've been with them for many years now and the experience has been great. The switch from Reliant to Champion initially was seamless too. There was nothing I had to do. I also like that I can pay online. Then their representatives are also on the spot. When I call, they take care of whatever problem I might be having.

One time, I called Champion because I had a patient who didn’t have electricity for a week because Reliant had cut him off for non-payment. I’m a physical therapist and he was a disabled veteran who had no money. He was living in an apartment complex and Champion got him electricity with no deposits. He didn't even have to pay his Reliant bill. It was awesome. Champion Energy does good work and I like them. In fact, every time I get a chance, I get somebody to switch to Champion. They have a program where I can make money if I refer people and I’m always talking about what a good rate they have and what a good company it is. I have referred five people, which has made me a little money and also made them a little money on their bill. So I like that.

Hi Connie,

Thanks for being a Champion customer and for taking the time to leave this review for us. We read each and every one of these and appreciate you referring your friends and patients to us!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Going to go ahead and plug our referral code (WCashionIv84168 ) in case any kind soul decides to pick our review out of the sea of referral codes on here to get that free $50 for the both of us xD. We've been with Champions for close to 3 months now, but their nights free plan is fantastic for my wife and I, as we almost exclusively use the most of our energy once we get back from work at night. We're both pretty frugal people and Champions' rates were some of the cheapest we could find on the market as well. Overall, would totally recommend!

Champion Energy Services response

Hi William! Thank you for recommending Champion Energy. We are glad that your search led to us and a fantastic plan that works for your lifestyle and will save you money. If you ever need to reach out to us, please give us a call at 877.653.5090.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

The other day we opened our Champion energy bill and was shocked that it was $500 + for last month. Needless to say, we were shocked and outraged. We called Champion Energy to figure out what was going on, surely it's a mistake. Champion Energy says our contract lapsed and that's the reason for the $500+ bill. I said that's impossible, we would have seen the letter. They said they don't send out renewal reminders by mail, only email.

WHY THE HECK NOT! I get my bills in the mail. I explained that I seldom look at my personal email due to my company email and working 60+ hours a week. They acted as though I let my contract lapse on purpose and was irritated by my call. They would not budge in any way, saying that we got reminders in email form. Eventually, after my rage took over, I was able to squeeze out of them a $25 credit. Of course I still had to pay the $500 + for last month. Champion Energy offers good rates but that's offset when you get outrageous bills because of their secret methods of ripping people off. Yes, I feel ripped off, I feel scammed, I feel cheated. They could care less as long as they get their money.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

It was a cheaper rate with Champion and it was something that looked like it would work. Also, the other companies were a little bit harder to understand so I went with Champion. Everything was very professional with their reps. Then, it all transferred digitally for the installation and the service has been good, so far. I would recommend it.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Manual, thank you for recommending Champion Energy. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Champion Energy Services was very good. I was their customer for a long time and their customer service reps were fine.

Champion Energy Services response

Thank you for remaining with Champion Energy. We appreciate your feedback and we are proud to know that we have continued to earn your business.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Champion Energy is a little bit cheaper so I switched to them. I found them online and their customer service rep was great. He was professional. The process was really quick. I asked for the cheapest plan and they offered me that. They then set a date and they switched my services. I’m happy with my service and I recommended Champion Energy to four friends. They already switched to Champion too.

Champion Energy Services response

Hi Sohrab! Thanks for signing up with Champion Energy and bringing your friends along to enjoy amazing savings and first-in-class customer service.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs