Call toll free
4.25/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Video
Champion Energy Services Gallery (2)
Ranked "Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas" by J.D. Power J.D. Power
View More View More

323 Champion Energy Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I’ve been using Champion since I moved to Texas in 2013. Somebody said they had good rates and I was referred. Enrolling was easy and I was getting a good rate. Before my contract ended, they sent me the rate quote, which was low compared to other companies. When I called to renew, the reps just renewed and they were professional and friendly. Champion Energy is good. Whenever I refer them, I say it's the best package and people are always looking for the rate, so I tell them they have good rates. I have referred a few people and they’re liking it so far.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I've used Ambit for my home for a long time and the wind power one was expensive. Somebody I know had used Champion, I switched to them and they were all right. They have a better deal and I like the locked-in price. Signing up and getting the electricity turned on were both easy and fast. They also got a website I can log into for the bill. When I'm doing a utility or service like that, it seems to be easy. I'd be able to do it by the phone 'cause I'm out. I need to be able to set up automatic payment and if it's not easy, I would go the next one. If you're considering Champion, call their number.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We've been with Champion Energy for a few years, and they've taken great care of us. The people that I've dealt with on the phone have been very customer service oriented. We love Champion's referral program and we really appreciate the military discount. It makes a big difference. I recommend them all the time. Their rates are competitive and I tell people that if they're military, they have the military discount. Also, with the code that I can give them, they can save, and we can save.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have a handful of rental properties, so between tenants, I have to set up accounts for these houses. And I use Champion Energy because it's convenient, there's no nonsense, and I get a customer referral every time. They usually get the job done when I call them to set up a new account. They get it started the next day. I have to sit through and listen to some statements, which is kinda boring but they tell me they have to read them to me. All my houses have electricity now. I just call them up and have them change it out or terminate it. The service is there when I ask for it and it has been very good. They haven't let me down yet, and the billing's accurate. I'd tell others that Champion Energy works good. I like it, the price is competitive, and they provide good customer service. I recommend them to all my tenants when they sign a contract with me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I switched from Ambit Energy to using Champion Energy services and I liked the plan and the free weekends. At first, I wanted to try Champion but since it was working better for me and it was cheaper, so I stayed with them. I contacted the customer service when I moved and I didn't find any issues in updating my new address and taking out the dates and the service, as well as starting on the new location. They connected my service the day before the date that I was moving in. There was an overlap of a few days in switching the accounts to the new address but everything was fine.

The overall performance and reliability of Champion's service so far are great. I'm very happy. Also, pricing is very fair and I never received any surprises. I can pay the bills online and I'm given the weekly reports on usage, estimated monthly, and when the bill's gonna arrive. I recommend Champion to my friends. If you're not happy with the service you're using, try Champion too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

A guy I worked with had formerly been in the business of working with large commercial corporations and businesses and shopping malls to help them select the most cost-efficient provider. He said he thought Champion Energy was the best, looking at how much you actually use and where you are. I had TXU and I switched over to Champion and I'm very happy and pleased. I was upset that I didn't renew the contract. All that rigmarole, which is such a farce is the same with all the providers and I wasn't happy about that, but Champion is good.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My friend recommended Champion Energy to me. I signed up online and their website's good. When I started using it, the price was good but lately, it has gone up. I have two properties where I'm using Champion, but then, when the contract is up, I need to re-evaluate the price. So, it could be cheaper but the service area is good.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Champion energy has been easy to deal with. I signed up online and since getting their service, they have been pretty good. We never have any issues with them.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I was looking for lower rates when I started with Champion and they have always been able to give me what I've been looking for. So I'm still with them. I've been with them for years and I've even had to open a number of accounts. I have new constructions going on and I have calls for temporary services. So in the last year, I've talked with them at least 10 times, and they are very helpful and knowledgeable. For the construction projects, they have to do installations, which also involve inspections, and the technicians who come out have been very good. I'm happy with Champion. The service is excellent and they're always on top of things.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I switched to Champion Energy to save money and it was well worth the switch. I've been saving money for years now. I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was shopping around for prices when I decided to go with Champion and I do that every time my contract renews. Similarly, I would advise others to shop around for rates. But I've called some other companies and I'd rather not go with them because of the way they portrayed themselves over the phone. Champion, on the other hand, does that very well. When I've had to call in for something or to change a credit card, I have not had any trouble with that. Everything has worked well over the phone and they have provided good customer service. My experience in dealing with them is professional and I'm satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I signed up in April 2018 for average billing, so I could then set up auto-draft and my bills would be more or less the same every month. NOT SO MUCH! For five months my bills were about the same (200-210). The sixth month, my bill was more than twice the average month's bill had been. I contacted them and they said my average billing contract expired this month so I have to pay all the unpaid portion. This is exactly why I wanted average billing, to avoid a large surprise bill! I have had average billing before with other providers. It's intended to be open ended - if I had known it was tied to a finite date I wouldn't have signed up for it. They are not willing to work with me on the amount so I now have a $500+ bill I need to pay for. I'm looking for a new carrier.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your feedback. A member of our team will be in touch with you to explain why your average billing ended when your contract ended and to see if there is any assistance we can offer to you with your bill.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have quite a few properties and I wish that Champion have a real estate investor or a landlord department because right now, I'm having to set up each individual house separately but they're all under my name. It's messy. They make me sign the energy statement and then I have to prove to them that I sold the house or I have to turn on my utility along getting a house ready to rent and then I have to send them the rental agreement to show them that I'm no longer the person or else they charge me cancellation fee when I'm not really cancelling. There's not a good avenue set up for landlords, real estate investors or tenants in and out, to do business with them. It's just complicated. But everybody has always been very nice.

Sometimes the installation has gone really well but sometimes it has been a difficult experience because the window that they give us to be at the house, when it's a vacant house, is just a really huge window and you don't even have a place to sit or anything to do at the house. With another company they have a builders department. As a landlord or investor who's flipping houses, you can go through the builders department and you've got the same contact that you would use over and over again. They set up very streamlined turn ons and offs and we don't have that with Champion.

There was also one bad thing that happened when I bought a house from someone, subject to their existing mortgage. They were going through foreclosure so the way that I bought it is I took over their payment from their mortgage. The mortgage on the house is still on their name, but I pay it every month. There wasn't any kind of legal documents and they still have access to the mortgage to see that I'm paying it. They were having some other financial troubles and they wanted to make things difficult for me so they were calling Champion. Even though the service is set up in my company name, they called Champion twice and got them to shut off my service.

Since the house was under construction and there was no one living in the house that caused all kinds of havoc. My pool got shut down, so it turned green, which cost me a lot of money to get cleaned back out. My workmen would show and there would be no electricity and then it would take Champion a day to two to come out and turn it back on. I don't think that someone should be allowed to turn off service when the service isn't in their name. What they were doing was they were sending a copy of the mortgage statement that is neither here nor there if the service is in my name. They shouldn't have been able to turn it off. Someone should've at least called me so that was a problem. So dealing with Champion for my business has been difficult. Nevertheless, everybody has always been very nice and from a personal standpoint my service once turned on has been great

I switched to Champion from TXU on our personal home, initially, because we have another friend that uses solar electricity and he recommend Champion to us. It's probably the most economical of all of the providers in our area so that's why we switched and why I continued to stay with them, despite the difficulties I've had on the investor side. It's economical, for sure.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I started with Champion in March 2018. Since then, 3 of my bills have been free! This is because of the amazing referral program Champion Energy has in place. During the months that I have had to pay for electricity, the amount is an average of $50 for a 2 bedroom apartment in the middle of summer. While I have not had to contact Customer Service for any reason, I would give this company a 5 out of 5 for service! If you are interested in the referral program, you can use my code: You get $50 off your first month, and I get a $50 credit! Use this referral code: **

Hello Chelesa,

Kuddos to you for taking full advantage of our refer a friend program! It is a win-win for everyone involved. In addition to a "thank you" bonus for yourself, and a "welcome to Champion" bonus for your friends and family, you both receive first in class customer care, great rates and reliable service. Thank you for spreading the word about Champion.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The experience with Champion Energy was very good and I loved the referral program. I used to take advantage of it quite a bit. I called them one time when I needed their services and their customer service rep was nice and helpful.

Hello Roland,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with our customer care agents. We are happy to know that we were able to assist you and that your interaction was a pleasant one. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service each and every time. We want our customers to know that they are our top priority, and it should feel that way whether you reach out to us by phone, email or chat. If you need anything else, please feel free to reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I have been a Champion customer since 2016 and I've noticed the weekly energy reports are what I believe to be dishonest because of the illegal smart meters to rip people off. Said my energy was up 55% from the previous week and I hardly used any power except lights and some light cooking and occasional ac coming in and it goes up 18.80??? That's definitely wrong. Also the 50.00 bill credit, you now have to wait 60 days before you get it when before it was applied immediately to your next bill? If this trend continues I will switch companies "again."

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your feedback. The information that is used to generate your weekly smart track report comes from your utility and is then sent to Smart Meter Texas. We are sorry that you feel that the reporting is dishonest. A member of our team will be in touch with you regarding the $50 bill credit that you are referencing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Champion Energy had good rates and they did a good job. Their customer service answered all my questions promptly. I’ve been with them for eight years and the service has been excellent.

Hello James,

Thank you for being a loyal customer! We appreciate the positive feedback, and we are pleased to know that you are still satisfied with the customer service you have received for 8 years. We will continue to work hard to earn your business.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I liked the Champion Energy Services price at the time. I went with them and interactions with their reps have worked out well. However, I wish that they’d quit adding charges on. When they started, they didn’t have all this add-on stuff but now, they’re piling it on like a city does with the water department. Still, Champion is the best that people can get right now.

Hello Wilson,

Thank you for being a loyal customer. I have taken a look at you billing for the last 3 years and there are not any add on charges. When you lock into a contract, Champion's energy charge does not change for the entire duration of the contract. The charges from your utility may vary depending on your usage, but all consumer pays these charges regardless of what electric company they are signed up with. If you need additional assistance please reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I used a different electricity provider before and then I met one of the senior vice presidents in a Boy Scout deal. He told me that he’d give me a really good deal if I went with Champion and so I did. My electricity is performing and it's all coming from NRG. One time I talked to somebody from Champion and he said that he would give me some deal of Astros tickets. I gave him my phone number, however, I never got any feedback. But then I’m getting a good rate. Champion is reliable and I refer a lot of people to them.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks Gene for your feedback. A member of our team will be in touch with you regarding any tickets that you may have been promised. Thanks for being a loyal customer!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I bought my contract out with my previous provider at the time things were really high. It was affordable for me to buy my contract out and I would save more money. I ended up with Champion because of the prices and I've been with them for a long time now. So far, they're doing great. They have good rates and good customer service too. I talked with them last week and they were very helpful to me in going over rates and plans.

Hello Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. It's a pretty big step to buy out of a contract with a provider- it sounds like you are a very savvy and well informed consumer! We are ecstatic that your search for savings led to your switch to Champion Energy, and that our customer care team has continued to assist you with products and services that meet your expectations. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

All electricity providers are similar. They all use Oncor so they all utilize the same exact stuff, but it's the rates that set Champion Energy apart. I switched over to them from who I currently had then. I've had Champion Energy for years now and I love them. So far, their service has been excellent and I've recommended them several times.

Hello Katherine,

Thank you for your feedback. When we hear that customers that remained with us for years are recommending Champion Energy to others, we know that we are going in the right direction. We will continue to work hard to earn your business and your trust. If you need any assistance from us, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I've been very happy and satisfied with Champion Energy. They gave me a referral number and code. And every time I have a new tenant, I give them the information. I tell the tenant that they can use anybody they want, but I use Champion and tell them the story about me trying to use them in my home but I can't because of Magic Valley Coop. I also tell them that if they get turned on, they get a $25 credit to their account. Champion Energy's pricing is comparable and most of my tenants end up using them.

Hello Freddy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Recommendations from customers are the greatest compliments that any company can receive. A large portion of our customer base stems from word of mouth, so we appreciate when our customers share their experiences and recommend us. If you need any additional assistance please reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We have been a customer of Champion Energy for over 10 years. Although our current per month is very high, the reliability of their service is very good. Moreover, the reps I worked with were friendly and professional.

Hello Grace,

Thank you for being a loyal customer. Market prices increased this year across Texas due to many factors, such as a predicted spike in peak demand caused by record high temperatures in addition to the closure of 3 generation plants. Champion Energy made every effort to remain competitive to offer the best possible rates for new and current customers. We appreciate your business and we are proud to know that the level of service you've received over the years was the deciding factor during these very trying times. Please feel free to reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy if you need anything else.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Champion Energy is out of this world when it comes to the service they provide. Their reps are very professional and they have always been willing to work with me. Furthermore, everything the installers do is very professional and first class. The overall performance and reliability of Champion is 100%. I recommend them all the time.

Hello Freddie,

Thank you for your positive review. You have touched on some of the fine points that Champion Energy focuses on everyday- professionalism, first class service, reliability and a genuine concern for each and every customer and their situation. We are honored that you have recommended us to others and will continue to work hard to earn your trust and your business.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I called today to discuss changing my energy contract. First, when my contract expired in June, all I received was one email, which I overlooked. I don't know about you, but in today's world I occasionally look over an email or two. Other companies I have used in the past have at least called and/or sent snail mail. Needless to say, my month to month rate went into effect, and I was alarmed when my next bill was due. So I hurriedly entered into a new contract, which is also horrible. I finally had time to call today, as teachers don't have much time during the day to make business calls, and was told they can only help me get into a better contract if I pay the $250 termination fee. Otherwise, I should have switched within 3 business days. Thanks a lot.

I told them that other companies have offered to reimburse me for those fees if I switch to their service, but I'd rather keep my business with Champion as I have had no problems with them up to this point. They plainly told me, "No," that they'd rather lose my service than waive an early termination fee. As a loyal customer that has never missed a payment, I am shocked at how little they care about their customers. Champion Energy only cares about surprising you with higher bills and collecting fees now. I will be switching due to their inability to be flexible and creative even if they are politely rigid and shortsighted.

Champion Energy Services response

Hi Nicholas. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We will review your rate/contract and see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer. A member of our team will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The pricing of Champion Energy is much better than my previous electricity provider. The overall performance and reliability of the service are very good. I just pay the bill and if there are any issues, we go through Oncor. So, everything's good and I have referred a few people to Champion. Other people need to switch as well.

Hello Jerry,

Customer satisfaction is number one here at Champion, and we love to know when we are meeting our customers expectations. We appreciate the referrals and thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and those you've recommended as well. If you need any additional assistance, please reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy .

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Champion Energy has great rates and great customer service. I've been with them for a while and I've had great interactions with their reps. I'm happy with them and I've recommended them.

Hello Joe,

Thank you for recommending us to your friends and family. We strive to remain number one in customer satisfaction. If you need anything additional from us please reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy .

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I'm very satisfied with Champion Energy. The overall performance of the service is very good and its reliability is excellent. Every time I've talked to their representatives, they've been very cordial and very helpful, and answered any question I had. I also told the renter that we have to go with Champion and he stuck to our referral and I am pleased.

Hello Bobby,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have been provided with great service. We strive for excellent customer service as we understand customer satisfaction is our business. Your referrals are also greatly appreciated, and if there is anything else that you need please do not hesitate to reach out to us at feedback@champion.energy .

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Champion is great. The rates seemed reasonable compared to others. And when I call in to speak with someone, they speak English. We've never talked with anyone at Champion that wasn't customer friendly, accommodating and easy to talk to, which is not always the case. I also like and appreciate the update that tells how much I've used during the week. A day before yesterday, my friend and I were singing the prices of Champion Energy to a lady that just moved here from Tennessee. You should get Champion, too.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks Jo Ann for your kind words. We appreciate having you as a customer. We truly value customer service as part of our business model and our team is based right here in Texas. Thanks for the referrals and if you ever have any questions or comments along the way let us know by emailing feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My house build in 2017 and I have been Champion Energy customer in 3 yrs. This year bill is so high, kWh Usage increase double every month. I don't think so it is normal in this summer. I also email and call customer services, they said because this is summer bill. Any customer have bills as me, and what do you think about this. I was renew contract on Aug 9, so I stick with them 2 yrs... how could I do??? Bill Date: 05/08/18. Bill Period - 04/05/18 thru 05/04/18: 250.00 kwh. Bill Date: 06/11/18. Bill Period - 05/04/18 thru 06/05/18: 557.00 kwh. Bill Date: 08/02/18. Bill Period - 06/05/18 thru 07/06/18: 949.00 kwh. Bill Date: 08/10/18. Bill Period - 07/06/18 thru 08/07/18: 1,510.00 kwh.

Hello,

We have reviewed your account and see that the main increase in your bill is due to being out of contract for a month prior to renewing. When your contract expires you go on a month-to-month variable rate based on market conditions. These rates are published on our website at https://www.championenergyservices.com/historicalprices/TX-Month-to-Month.html. We will have a member from our team reach out to you to discuss further.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs