4.50/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

Champion Energy Services Video
Champion Energy Services Gallery (2)
Ranked "Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas" by J.D. Power J.D. Power
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 17, 2018

286 Champion Energy Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2018

It would have saved me time had there been a selection button for the silver plan. It was not clear my apparent that I had to verify qualification first and then from there select that option. I verified and then went back to the list of options. Ended up having to wait for chat help.

Hi Sonja,

Sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulty in processing your renewal. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration as we continue to redesign our website to make it easy for customers to navigate.If you have any additional questions, please contact us 24/7 at 877.653.5090.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I want to point out Yesenia for all the help she provided in handling the renewal of my contract. She took all the time necessary to find the best rate for me, both online and on the phone. She was very prompt in calling me in answer to my emails. And she maintained a very pleasant manner during the entire process. Thank you!

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing your experience with our customer care agent, Yesenia. We will share this with both the agent and her supervisor. We appreciate having you as a customer and thank you for continuing to power your home with Champion.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Jose ** was very helpful in helping me renew my contract with Champion energy. We have been pleased with the service we get from Champion and feel their rates are competitive in the industry. I would recommend Champion to anyone in the Dallas area.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your feedback Cindie!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 24, 2018

You asked on the email sent to me if I'm happy with my new plan rate, well, while I love to stay with one provider and hate switching around, I expect that my new rate be less than my previous plan rate considering the length of the new contract. But that's not the case... so not happy!

Champion Energy Services response

We would hope that you stay too! A member of our team will be in touch with you to evaluate plan options for your renewal. Market prices have changed since you initially enrolled with us likely resulting in higher prices at renewal. We value our customers and will make our best effort to provide you a fair rate.

Original review: April 22, 2018

My comment is on the ease of contract renewal. Champion Energy makes it easy to renew. They have all the tools needed to make a decision based on your needs and budget. I will recommend Champion Energy to my family and friends.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks Timothy! We hope that you take advantage of our referral program where you get a $50 bill credit for each friend you refer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: April 20, 2018

I love Champion Energy. The rates are great and so is the customer service. I have gotten to a human with no hassle or long wait time every time I have called. The people are friendly and professional and know what they're talking about. Highly recommend this company.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks Margaret! We love our customers too and make our best effort to educate customers while answering any questions.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Excellent energy provider. Outstanding and kind customer service. Love this company. Honest and very fair. Highly recommend!!! Have been a loyal customer for many years and will continue to do so. No hidden fees and statements are very easy to read.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your kind words Esther!

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had initially received a renewal rate of 6.2 for the Champ Saver 24. Wasn't aware rates change so quickly. I waited to see if I received again the same offer but instead all the later offers I received were pretty high. In addition to that on choosetexaspower.org it is advertised that the Champ Saver 24 included an AC Tune Up but was told by service rep you don't anymore. Not interested in thermostat or bulbs as I already have those in my home. I have been with Champion ever since I moved to Texas.

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for renewing with Champion. It looks like our team was able to work with you on your renewal rate. For the A/C tune-up offered by Centerpoint, we will be reaching out to you soon to get this completed. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. You can also email us directly at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I was disappointed that Champion would not match the price with First Choice. As you can see I still stayed with champion. I have recommended several people to Champion. I know there are lots of other provider but I chose Champion. I believe Champion should reward their customer for being a long time customer. Thank you.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for deciding to stay with Champion. We try our best to price match competitive offers out there, but can't necessarily be the cheapest all the time. We appreciate your loyalty and will take a look at your account to see if any loyalty incentives are available.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We have had Champion Energy at our house for over 6 years. Never had any problem with the service. Customer service is always very helpful and friendly. If the electricity goes out for some reason, it's not for long. Champion addresses the situation in a timely manner! I would recommend Champion Energy.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for allowing Champion to power your home for all these years. We appreciate it!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Rachel ** is amazing. I was upset after renewing my contract. I looked at my current bill after I paid it, I found that I renewed at a higher percentage. I called to voice my displeasure and cancel my renewal and possibly my service. Rachel was amazing, she was so informed, so knowledgeable, she took the time explain the market pricing and even tried get me a 2 year contract instead of 1 year I had signed up for, but the market price already was going up. I think you should use this call as a training tool for other employees. She showed professionalism, concern and definitely eager to help me with genuine concern. She made me a customer for life. Thank you Rachel.

Hi Gerrie,

We are thrilled that Rachel was able to walk you through the prices available. Market prices are going up this year and we encourage all customers to lock in a fixed rate to get through the summer. We do pull calls of our agents as training tools and look forward to hearing your conversation. We'll be sure to pass this information along to Rachel's supervisor. Thanks for choosing to renew with Champion!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I recommend Champion Energy. Use my promo code ** for 25.00-50.00 off your first bill when signing up. Champion has excellent low energy rates. Customer service is great and professional. Mobile app is easy to use to pay your bill or check current power usage. They even send a weekly energy report to your email that shows usage and current bill amount. Again, please use promo code ** for 25.00-50.00 off your first bill when signing up.

Hi Scott,

You can now earn $50 for each friend you refer to Champion. Thanks for spreading the word!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Customer service representative was very helpful in renewing my contract. One negative aspect about renewing was that I did not receive the $25 renewal credit that I received when I renewed in the past. I have been a Champion customer for several years, so I was hoping to get the $25 promotion credit.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Champion Energy provides us electricity and they have that weekly consumption graph that shows how much consumption of energy you’ve used for the week which I like. In several instances, we have been out of town and our consumption has shown like it’s the highest when we’re not even there so we’re wondering how that is happening.

And I spoke with someone yesterday and they told me that Champion Energy does not have the same statistics that we see. And they referred me to an organization that’s governed by the state of Texas, for me to go and take a look at it there because it provides more detailed information like on a couple of days of energy. I was concerned because I wasn’t sure how that’s happening, how they're tracking statistics when the energy should be the lowest when we are not home.

I spoke with someone yesterday and everything was fine. He handled pretty much everything well, though he was not able to provide me the information that I requested because he said he didn’t have it but they were all positive.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I set up service with Champion Energy through the online system. In Texas, we have PowerToChoose.org. I went through that, found the rate, liked it, and signed up. For installation, it just went through the current line. Champion Energy's service has been fine, with no issues.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

When we started out with Champion Energy, it was just a cost thing, but it grew into something more than that. I did it all online, which was great, and the process was smooth as can be. They provide excellent performance, and I’ve never had any issues with them. I like the weekly email that shows my usage because I’m all about control, and controlling my money. That feature lets me know where I’m at, instead of waiting at the end of the month to have a surprise. I would recommend them. In fact, I’ve actually had four friends from different cities that I’ve helped sign up with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I have been a customer for 3 years and never had an issue. The plans and rates are ready to understand and customer service is always helpful and professional. Great service and I'm a satisfied customer. I have moved though multiple apartments and never had an issue switching service over.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I find the customer service superior and the prices reasonable at Champion Energy. I highly recommend this power company to all my friends and family. The renewal was so easy to complete online even for someone like me as I am not tech savvy. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I set up Champion's service online which was easy. I just put in my personal information and that was it. It's only been three months but so far, I haven’t had any trouble. They email me the weekly reports on how much energy I'm using compared to last week, so that helps. It's a cheap energy service that’s easy to use, and I would recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I really appreciate the weekly emails I get that shows how much electricity I’ve used every day of the previous week. My other electricity provider didn’t do that, so that’s a benefit from being with Champion Energy Services. I had some questions about my bill so I called their customer service team and they were very helpful and I was able to understand everything. I called back because I forgot to ask someone if they could charge my credit card every month instead of having to send them a check and they helped me with that one too. They were very professional. Champion Energy is very reliable and I appreciate working with them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We're a church but someone else lived there before and they provided the electricity. So, there was power there already and we called Champion and then they just took over the power. And it worked fine. The weekly emails we get from Champion are really positive. We are enjoying the weekly notices of the usage especially since someone moved out there.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I don’t like Champion. I wanted to get a better plan but it doesn’t fit for me and my family. I can't even get an extension because I didn’t make three consecutive payments. They don’t even consider that somebody lost their job. I was not even asking for the whole two weeks. I only asked for four extra days and I couldn't even get that. Their customer service is very bad. The rep didn’t answer my questions about the bill being so high. She tried to argue with me about what comes to my email. I shouldn't have to wait three consecutive months to get an extension. Their system is set up not to do it. It’s not like the bill wasn’t going to get paid but now, it's not going to get paid because I don’t care now. I don’t want to have services with them anymore. I would’ve never had this problem at TXU or Reliance. I wouldn't recommend them to a dog.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I'm getting married next month and we were trying to find an apartment. We were going to wait until then, but one that we had really wanted for a while came open, and so I went ahead and got it. But then, we had to have an electric company by the date that we moved in or we would get a hundred dollar fine. I used a different company a while back, but my brother uses Champion and he recommended it, so I switched. It looked way better whenever I compared everything. Also, Champion was the only one that could have done it right then. So we did it and we were able to get the electricity without getting a fine.

I've only lived in this apartment for one month using Champion, and so I've only had one bill. But that bill was literally $100 cheaper than any bill I've ever had with the other company. I was paying close to between $150 and $200 a month with the other companies, and I wasn't even at home much. Everything worked out, my bills have been cheap and it's been awesome. It's now starting to get cold here and so this is when most of our trouble usually happens, but so far, I haven't had any issues. I would recommend Champion.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for taking your brother's advice to choose Champion and best of luck on your upcoming wedding. If you have any questions along the way feel free to email feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I use Energy Ogre so they just find the lowest rate for me. Champion Energy has the lowest rate and I've been with them for a couple of months. They send me weekly e-mails about products and like my energy consumption and those have been fine. They're not too invasive. It's just informative. My favorite thing is the e-mails I get where I can see my consumption. But if they could have that like in an app form of some sort where I could see it all the time very easily, that may be helpful. Overall I get cheap electricity and haven’t had any issues.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for your feedback Alyssa. Glad that you can take advantage of our weekly Smart Track emails. We are exploring the app option so stay tuned!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I got a good quote and all my questions were answered. We haven't seen too many bills yet as we've only had them for less than a month, but we have no complaints. Champion Energy is doing good.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for choosing Champion Energy Gavannie!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I talked to customer service at the very beginning to get all the change set up in my apartment. They were nice, and they helped me. Then after that, I receive emails every week letting me know how much electricity I’m spending to keep track of it. The service is really good. I will recommend them totally. You can’t really beat the price, except for this month where my bill went up. But prior to this month, I didn’t have any complaints. Their price was the reason why I switched to them from my previous provider and it was better than I expected.

Champion Energy Services response

We're happy to have you as a customer Laura! Your weekly usage reports should help you pinpoint when your usage was higher than usual in the past month, especially with the colder weather we had this winter. If you have any questions please reach out to us!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Champion Energy is a little better compared to my previous electricity provider. It was Saturday and Sunday free with that provider, but still, my bill was too high. With Champion Energy, my bill is lower. Plus, their reps have been nice people. Any time I call, they answer everything I want to know and explain to me how many kilowatts. I’m happy with Champion Energy. They care about their customers and that’s what I like about them. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

There's a new program in the city that we live in that allows electric companies to bid for the lowest price. It becomes a group rate for everyone that agrees to change, and since the process was done through that negotiation, everything was handled for us as far as the switch from our other power company to Champion was concerned. So, it was a real seamless transition. We've been really happy and it's been a good experience. I really appreciate the weekly e-mail statuses to let me know how much power I've used in comparison to the previous week, and an expectation of what my bill is going to be. It helps with budgeting. If others can get the low rate locked in, similar to what we did, then it's definitely something to consider.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Champion seems to be very good. They know what they're doing and they’ve been fair-minded. They took my phone call and they were able to route through my current lines. I'm quite satisfied thus far.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Champion Energy's cost is a little bit less than the others. When we first switched to them, the lady who was here promised me that they were going to give me a hundred light bulbs. Everything was good with the installation and the service is good.

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs