2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.06/5

Champion Energy Services is an energy provider that offers low fixed rates for electricity plans. The company primarily works in Texas, but it also operates in certain parts of Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. It offers energy-efficient options and an electricity-tracking app.

Champion Energy Services Video
Champion Energy Services Gallery (2)
BOTTOM LINE

Champion Energy is an electricity provider available in Texas and other select states. It offers flexible energy plans with transparent pricing and low rates. It also has an easy-to-use website and an energy-tracking app.

PROS
  • Green energy options
  • Low fixed rates
  • Energy-tracking app
CONS
  • Not available nationwide
  • Pricing varies

Top Champion Energy Services Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

I have been with Champion 4 or 5 years.. can't remember exactly. One thing I love is the weekly update on how much I have used and what my projected bill will be… I am 77 and still have to work to live so I appreciate everything they have done. Thank you Champion…

Great experience renewing, again, with Champion. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. Easy to deal with and very competitive rates, so no need to go through the hassle of shopping. Really like the easy of dealing with Champion!

What is Champion Energy?

Champion Energy is an electricity provider that offers low rates and 24/7 customer care. It focuses primarily on the deregulated Texas energy market but serves more than 2 million residential, governmental, commercial and industrial customers nationwide, including in Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Maine. It’s not affiliated with a utility company and lets you track your weekly energy usage.

How does Champion Energy work?

Champion Energy’s team of representatives helps find the right energy solutions for you. The company guarantees low prices and a stress-free experience. You’ll need to enroll as a new customer for your business or your home, then Champion Energy finds an ideal cost-effective energy plan for you. Once you’re enrolled, you can track your usage and pay your bills with the company’s app.

Champion Energy rates

Champion Energy offers various electricity plans — but keep in mind that all its prices vary based on location and usage. It claims its services are affordable, starting at an 18-month fixed rate of 10.4 cents per kWh in Houston. Champion Energy's popular plans include:

• Champ Saver – 12: Offers a 12-month fixed-rate; ideal for renters on the lookout for a better deal with a new lease
  • Champion Money and Power Free Weekends – 12: For those who spend most weekends away
  • Champion Money and Power Free Nights – 12: Usually includes a higher rate earlier in the day; good for those not home during peak energy usage times (usually 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
  • Champion Energy Renewable Options: Limitless energy with minimal environmental impact; limits carbon footprints

Champion Energy Services FAQ

Who owns Champion Energy?
Calpine Corporation owns Champion Energy Services.
Where is Champion Energy Services available?
Champion Energy operates in deregulated electric energy markets in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Maine.
Where is Champion Energy Services located?
Champion Energy is headquartered in Houston, Texas.
Does Champion Energy Services offer 24/7 customer service?
Yes, Champion Energy offers 24/7 customer care, according to its website.

Is Champion Energy a good company?

Champion Energy is a solid option for those looking for low-price electricity plans in deregulated markets. The company has a team of industry experts who help find the right plan for you. It also offers some green-friendly options and lets you track your usage and pay your bills through its app.

Champion Energy Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I just renewed with Champion for another three years. Prior to Champion, I'd had several different providers which were all OK - except Cirro. Champion was always truthful with me - never a surprise on my bill. Their website is great, and I enjoy their weekly bill projections. Didn't want to try any of the no-name folks on powertochoose.org since many of them hid additional fees if your monthly usage wasn't in a specific window - probably so they could make a targeted cents per kWh rate only if you hit it with, say, exactly 2,000 kWh. Champion did what they said they'd do, and they had the tools to make my life easier being their customer.

Hi Derek,

We're pleased to have powered your home for 3 years in counting! We always strive to be always be 100% transparent with our customers and so glad to hear that you feel you can depend on us to give you the price you expect, and beyond. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. If you every need have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to contact us at feedback@champion.energy or call 877.653.5090. Thanks again!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I just renewed with Champion for Year 11! I couldn't be happier with my Electricity provider than Champion. So much so, 5 years ago I stopped the tedious process of comparing to find the best deal every year because I know I already have it! Reliability is never in question! Thank you Champion!

Hi Susan,

Thank you for a decade of being a loyal customer of Champion! We're proud to power your home and look forward for many years to come. We're always available to contact if you ever have any questions by giving us a call 877.653.5090. Thanks again!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I have been with Champion 4 or 5 years.. can't remember exactly. One thing I love is the weekly update on how much I have used and what my projected bill will be. I can tighten the belt to reduce the price if I need to. When I re- signed with them, I found that they had lowered the kwh rate.. now who does that. I am 77 and still have to work to live so I appreciate everything they have done. Thank you Champion???

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I was with a major energy company for over 30 years but left because of their poor customer service — I had to talk to a contact in India that would not transfer me stateside when I needed to discuss an issue with them. Last year I signed with Champions and couldn’t be happier so I just renewed by contract for another two years. I think I get the best rates through Champions and outstanding customer service. I use the same lady to renew my contract and she is so nice to deal with. My sister from Corpus Christi referred me to her. Her name is Yesenia and she’s from Spring, TX. She needs to be recognized by management for her good customer service. I have never dealt with any of your representatives that were not professional. I am very happy with Champions Energy.

Hi Patsy,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! We have recognized the agent that was able to assist you on your renewal. Please let us know if you have any further questions by messaging us at feedback@champion.energy.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I have been with Champion Energy for 9 years. Each time that my contract is about to expire, I check to make sure that they still have the best rates. I appreciate that they send me a notice letting me know that my contract is about to expire. I had a contract with another well-known carrier previously and when my contract expired, they just jacked up my rates without notice. I still get offers from them in the mail and throw them away.

Their rates were the lowest I found. Also, it seems like everyone else gives you high rates for low energy usage so that if you cut back you energy usage, you are penalized. Champion's rates are flat not matter how much energy you use. I average my rate out over the year so that in the summer, I pay the same amount as I pay in the winter so I don't have high summer rates. I will stay with Champion energy as long as they keep giving the best rates and service.

Hi David,

Thank you for your several years with us as a customer and for sharing your experience. We like to give our customers a heads up before their contract expires so they are still under the price protection they signed up with when it comes time to renew. We're pleased to hear that you are enjoying your contract with us and if you ever have any questions please feel free to email us at feedback@champion.energy or call 877.653.5090

Original review: April 7, 2021

Run from this company. Their customer service is useless. I will be looking for another energy company and will leave Champion after my contracts are up. I will not stay with a company with such poor customer service. Waited 3 days for a supervisor to call but that never happened. I had to wait 4 different times for 30-50 minutes just to speak with an agent who could do nothing but say "That's all I can do".

Original review: March 12, 2021

Dissatisfied with customer service. They renewed my service without my approval. I asked to cancel and go over the renewal again and just got run around. I received no e-mail about renewal and charges. I did not sign any document. No e-mail was sent to me about the contract and rates. Every time different customer service from different countries answer my phone and they are of no help. They would say they will call me back and will never do so. I need to talk to some higher authorities about this please. Thanks.

Original review: March 6, 2021

We have been with Champion for years. We would always sign up for a fixed rate plan. Many companies will ask what plan people want at the end of the term. Champion did not and changed ours to the variable rate plan. It’s partly our fault for not checking on it. We simply forgot to. With the deep freeze in Texas, I have no idea what our bill will be. If it is much higher than usual, I would consider it a scam. The question is would they have done it to their mothers? I have my fingers crossed.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Very good rates. Customer service agents very pleasant and friendly and accommodating. Will continue their service as long as rates are comparable. Their contracts are very simple and easy to understand. No extra fees or base charges. Really liked the 24 month plan.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I have been with Champion Energy for almost one year. I was looking for an energy company online and I found the best one: Champion Energy Services. My light bills are low, I never have issues with my power. Even during the Arctic Blast I lost the power just for few hours. Thank you Champion Energy.

Champion Energy Services Company Information