It's that easy Request Information
4.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Champion Energy provides exceptional customer care and competitive residential electricity rates. As one of the nation’s fastest growing electricity providers, Champion Energy provides residential service in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Massachusetts and Delaware. Champion Energy ranks “Highest in Residential Customer Satisfaction with Retail Electric Service in Texas” by J. D. Power. Whether you are looking for a low fixed electricity rate, renewable energy, or automatic payment options Champion Energy has the right plan for you.

384 Champion Energy Services Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 5, 2019

I’ve enjoyed my experience with using Champion Energy. I’ve been with them for five years or so, and I went with them mainly for the rate. They always have a good rate plan. So, every time I move, I use Champion. From the times that I’ve dealt with customer service, the service is phenomenal. I just have questions as far as establishing service at one apartment and then another one. And all my questions are always answered timely and accurately.

Normally, I just apply online to establish my date of service, and the lights were turned on then. It’s more so like the convenience of it. When I know that I go online, I put in my Social, I'll wait a couple minutes, and they tell me that I’m approved, just like I did recently. So, I went on the week before, I applied, my service is established, and when I went over there Friday evening, the lights and everything were turned on. Even on top of that, just like the few days that I was billed for, the bill was only 50 bucks, which was great.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ashley. Thank you for leaving your feedback and the opportunity to serve you.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I'm a super user for Champion. We own a lot of condominiums that we rent out and I give my referral code to all of our residents when they’re signing up for electricity. So, my electricity through Champion is super cheap because I keep getting all these referral codes. Every year, I have to get a W-2 from them because I get over $600 worth of free service from them.

Champion's got one of the best deals around. We've been with them for about 15 years now and doing the renewal is fairly easy. They’re straightforward. A lot of the other companies are kinda shifty. They’ll charge things like base fees and user fees that are not easily identifiable when you're looking at the plans. That's part of what I tell our residents. They can go with anybody that they want. We go with Champion because traditionally, they’ve had among the lowest prices. They may not have exactly the lowest price but they’re almost always the lowest priced, and also a lot of companies will have a lower price for a higher usage. The price that they advertise is the 2,000 kilowatt-hours per month plan. But most of our units don’t use 2,000 kilowatts of power each month. It’s well below that.

If you're looking at a plan from Reliant versus a plan from Champion, and Reliant’s plan says that it’s 9.8 cents per kilowatt-hour versus Champion's plan at 10.3 cents per kilowatt-hour, that looks like Champion's more expensive. But the reality is that if you look at under 500 or under 1,000 kilowatt-hour usage, it might be significantly lower, which it usually is, and that Reliant will also charge an extra fee with a below 800 kilowatt-hours of usage each month. So, all these things go into the price that most people don’t know to look for.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Sabrina. You are correct,many providers have hidden charges. Champion never charges customers a base fee and there are no hidden charges-just simplistic easy to understand terms. We appreciate your loyalty and we think that is awesome that you are taking full advantage of our Connect-A-Friend program.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was referred to Champion and I've been using them for years. My brother and I have about 30 or 40 accounts with them, and we both like the service. If I have any questions or I wanna add a new account, I can call them and they typically answer right away. I don't have to wait on hold. They've answered everything fairly quick and they've resolved any issues that I've had fairly quick as well. I also like that they have a $25 referral fee.

I have many different accounts with Champion and every one of them has been really good. There was one a while back where one of the gentlemen told me that if I wanted the service faster, I could pay an extra $35. It didn't end up happening. When I called again, they told me, "We don't even offer that," and my account was credited back. The person that I spoke to at the end ended up resolving everything. Other than that, everything has been perfect. It's been an A+ experience with all the services that I've gotten.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Ramiro, we are glad that your issue was corrected. Thank you for being a loyal customer, and we appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My previous electricity provider was Reliant and they were very expensive. Champion Energy is cheaper. I've been with them for many years now and the experience has been great. The switch from Reliant to Champion initially was seamless too. There was nothing I had to do. I also like that I can pay online. Then their representatives are also on the spot. When I call, they take care of whatever problem I might be having.

One time, I called Champion because I had a patient who didn’t have electricity for a week because Reliant had cut him off for non-payment. I’m a physical therapist and he was a disabled veteran who had no money. He was living in an apartment complex and Champion got him electricity with no deposits. He didn't even have to pay his Reliant bill. It was awesome. Champion Energy does good work and I like them. In fact, every time I get a chance, I get somebody to switch to Champion. They have a program where I can make money if I refer people and I’m always talking about what a good rate they have and what a good company it is. I have referred five people, which has made me a little money and also made them a little money on their bill. So I like that.

Hi Connie,

Thanks for being a Champion customer and for taking the time to leave this review for us. We read each and every one of these and appreciate you referring your friends and patients to us!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have quite a few properties and I wish that Champion have a real estate investor or a landlord department because right now, I'm having to set up each individual house separately but they're all under my name. It's messy. They make me sign the energy statement and then I have to prove to them that I sold the house or I have to turn on my utility along getting a house ready to rent and then I have to send them the rental agreement to show them that I'm no longer the person or else they charge me cancellation fee when I'm not really cancelling. There's not a good avenue set up for landlords, real estate investors or tenants in and out, to do business with them. It's just complicated. But everybody has always been very nice.

Sometimes the installation has gone really well but sometimes it has been a difficult experience because the window that they give us to be at the house, when it's a vacant house, is just a really huge window and you don't even have a place to sit or anything to do at the house. With another company they have a builders department. As a landlord or investor who's flipping houses, you can go through the builders department and you've got the same contact that you would use over and over again. They set up very streamlined turn ons and offs and we don't have that with Champion.

There was also one bad thing that happened when I bought a house from someone, subject to their existing mortgage. They were going through foreclosure so the way that I bought it is I took over their payment from their mortgage. The mortgage on the house is still on their name, but I pay it every month. There wasn't any kind of legal documents and they still have access to the mortgage to see that I'm paying it. They were having some other financial troubles and they wanted to make things difficult for me so they were calling Champion. Even though the service is set up in my company name, they called Champion twice and got them to shut off my service.

Since the house was under construction and there was no one living in the house that caused all kinds of havoc. My pool got shut down, so it turned green, which cost me a lot of money to get cleaned back out. My workmen would show and there would be no electricity and then it would take Champion a day to two to come out and turn it back on. I don't think that someone should be allowed to turn off service when the service isn't in their name. What they were doing was they were sending a copy of the mortgage statement that is neither here nor there if the service is in my name. They shouldn't have been able to turn it off. Someone should've at least called me so that was a problem. So dealing with Champion for my business has been difficult. Nevertheless, everybody has always been very nice and from a personal standpoint my service once turned on has been great

I switched to Champion from TXU on our personal home, initially, because we have another friend that uses solar electricity and he recommend Champion to us. It's probably the most economical of all of the providers in our area so that's why we switched and why I continued to stay with them, despite the difficulties I've had on the investor side. It's economical, for sure.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your feedback. We will discuss this one internally at Champion to see how we can make experiences like the ones you explained below better. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Champion Energy Services?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Use code ** to get $50 off your bill! I just switched to Champion after my previous company hiked my rate without notice. Champion made the switch very easy and the weekly reports have been very helpful.

Champion Energy Services response

Thank you for your feedback. If you ever need to reach out to us please give us a call at 877.653.5090.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Champion Energy Services has good service and their rate is competitive. Moreover, their reps were very helpful. They told me all the plans. They showed me two or three 12-month options. There were not too many choices so it was very easy to choose. They were really knowledgeable about the plan and answered questions very well. When we requested to turn the service on, Champion Energy turned it on on time.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello, we are happy to know that our customer care agents made a great impression on you. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, and if you ever need to reach out to us, please give us a call at 877.653.5090.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I've been with Champion Energy Services for five years now and the experience has been awesome. I had a line before, and I made a simple phone call and the service was switched over to Champion. My summer bill got cut almost in half. I was paying $400 and now I pay 180. So, it has been great. Plus, at that time, they offered free weekends, which was good. It was better than what we had.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Mr. Leyva. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Champion Energy and remaining a loyal customer for 5 years! We want you to know that we still offer a free weekend plan, which many customers love because it saves them money on their energy bills.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I chose Champion Energy’s straightforward, fixed rate Champ Saver 12 month plan for my 1500 square foot apartment in Dallas after extensive research and comparisons. Startup was seamless, and my energy was cut by 50-60%. I was so pleased that I renewed with Champion a year later with the Champ Saver 24 month plan. Customer service and communication are top notch. I get a weekly usage report via email so I can monitor my usage and eliminate any surprises on my monthly bill. I can also check daily, weekly, and monthly usage anytime on their website. There are no gimmicks or hidden charges. As you can see, I am very happy with my decision to choose Champion. They also have a referral program which allows you and your friends to receive a $50 credit. If this review has been helpful to you, please use my referral code ** to receive a $50 credit on your first bill.

Champion Energy Services response

Hello Kathryn. We are proud that you decided to stay with Champion and appreciate your loyalty. We will continue to work hard to earn your trust and your business. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: July 30, 2019

We've been with Champion for four years now and we’re satisfied with them. My wife deals with them and she has been satisfied with the help that she has gotten from them. She coordinated setting up the service in our new apartment, and there were no issues at all. The package we have right now is nights free. It’s very applicable to use, and we have been able to utilize it to the fullest. We have been recommending Champion to people we know.

Champion Energy Services response

Thanks for signing up for the free nights plan. Many of our customers are enjoying the savings of free energy usage during the evenings. To save even more money, be sure that you are providing your referral code to the folks that you are recommending to Champion Energy so you each can receive your $50 referral bill credits!

Champion Energy Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Champion Energy Services is a fast-growing electricity company that serves deregulated markets in the U.S. The company is Houston-based, but also serves consumers in Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland and New York.

• Customer service: Champion Energy provides customer service to consumers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Variety: Champion Energy is a good choice for both residential consumers and for businesses.

• Price: The company is known for offering Texas residents extremely competitive rates for electricity.

• Online presence: Champion Energy Services’ online presence is not as advanced as some other electricity providers.

• Billing: Champion Energy is expanding rapidly, and the company has not expertly nailed down all of their necessary billing practices yet.

• Best for: Residential customers, small businesses, midsize and big businesses

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs