Best Tech Support Services
Updated on 02/28/2018
Tech support services help business owners and individuals use technology to keep their operations running smoothly. They support devices crucial to a business’ daily operations, including Wi-Fi connections, servers, PCs, tablets, printers and more.
Many people turn to online tech-support services to remotely access computers and other equipment or to provide or receive support via email, online chats or phone calls. These services make it possible for business owners and employees with little technical knowledge to use all kinds of computing devices.
Compare Reviews for Top Tech Support Services
|Tech to Us|
Read 910 Reviews
Tech to Us provides fully US based tech support for your home or business. They charge a flat monthly rate so you won’t have to worry about hidden fees. All home support plans are backed by a 100% money back guarantee.
|Tech Support Expert|
Read 491 Reviews
Tech Support Expert is a leading tech corporation in providing expert technical support services. Our highly trained experts at Tech Support Expert are able to offer our customers top-notch service & quick solutions at low cost.
|My Computer Works|
Read 326 Reviews
My Computer Works is a U.S. based company that provides awesome computer support for home and business. We've been helping people with their computers since 2005. Give us a call and see if one of our friendly technicians can help!
Read 143 Reviews
MyCleanPC is a downloadable tool that will optimize your computer by removing unnecessary files and repairing system errors. It’s available for computers running Microsoft Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10.
Read 1122 Reviews
Geek Squad technicians may be accessed 24/7/365 online or via their toll-free number. They offer service plans that cover computing, home theater, digital imaging, mobile phone, car electronics and major appliances.
Read 38 Reviews
GuruAid offers hardware and software products in an easy-to-find, simple format. Throughout the process, GuruAid techs help users pick out the right products for their computers and install them for optimum performance.
Read 558 Reviews
iYogi offers free 30-minute tech support consultations, and their support is available on a 24/7 basis, 365 days a year. Leveraging its Digital Service Cloud platform, iYogi delivers support to millions of customers globally.
Read 517 Reviews
Founded in 2004, Bask Technologies offers more than just tech support, they offer people support. They have a five-day, 100% satisfaction guarantee, and combine secure remote technology support with proactive maintenance.
|ComputerSupport||Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2006, ComputerSupport.com provides remote and on-site managed IT and cloud consulting services to businesses across the U.S. The company offers a 99.9+ percent network uptime guarantee.
|Colocation America||Read Expert Review|
Established in 2000, Colocation America offers a range of services, including colocation space, dedicated servers and 24-hour tech support. They also have a 100% uptime guarantee and 22 data centers across the United States.
Considerations for choosing a tech support service company
Different services have different pricing models based on what they offer. Consumers should choose a service with a pricing model that makes sense for their budgets, whether the service uses a monthly payment or a pay-as-you-go model.
- One-time fixes: Some services will charge on a pay-as-you-need basis. This means that you can resolve issues in a one-off manner. This can be a great feature for consumers who don’t need heavy support or have small budgets.
- Monthly subscriptions: If you choose a monthly subscription plan, you pay a monthly fee for an agreed-upon amount of support. This can be more cost effective for companies that require regular routine maintenance and support.
- Annual subscription: With an annual subscription, consumers usually pay less over the course of a year than they would pay on a month-to-month basis, but it does require putting more money down up front.
- Setup fee: Many companies ask for a one-time fee to set up the account. This can vary greatly depending on the size of the network and the number of people involved.
It’s best to work with a tech support service that has a solid track record and an established history. Consider the background and expertise of each firm, and choose one that best fits your needs.
- Previous clients: Take a look at some of the company’s previous clients to see if they have been happy with the services. Good services should be happy to offer client references, reviews and case studies that give consumers a sense of their success rates.
- Industry expertise: Different services have experts with experience in specific industries. Find out if a particular tech service has worked in your industry or an industry with similar needs.
- Reputation: The best tech support services have a good reputation for providing solid, reliable support.
Which devices do the service support? Make a list of all devices for which you need support and potential devices you may need help with in the future. Make sure that the tech support service can offer help for every device on your list.
- PCs: Most individuals and businesses need occasional support for PCs and laptops.
- Printers and scanners: Printers and scanners can sometimes go on the fritz or have inexplicable trouble communicating with the server. It’s important to look for a tech support service that can help with printers and scanners if you know you’ll use these devices frequently.
- Routers: For freelancers and businesses, issues with a router can mean losing a lot of business until the situation is resolved. Although many tech support services work with routers, some don’t, and it’s important to ask if the service can support your router.
- Mobile devices: More and more, consumers are turning to mobile devices to perform tasks and conduct business. However, mobile devices aren’t always covered by tech support services. Make sure that mobile devices are part of the coverage if you rely on them.
The best services help consumers resolve issues as quickly as possible. The quality of support is one of the most important features of a tech support service.
- Free trial: Some companies offer a free or reduced-cost trial period that gives you time to decide if you like a product before signing a contract.
- Microsoft or Apple certified: The best tech support services are certified by Microsoft or Apple, or both if you plan to have them work on products from both companies. This means that technicians have the proper training and know how to properly fix these products.
- Security: Any tech support service should ensure that they are working on an encrypted connection. Otherwise, anyone accessing your servers remotely could access valuable information.
In addition to support services and devices, it’s also important to consider what type of tech services the company offers. Consumer needs can vary greatly when it comes to tech services, so it’s important to be clear on what the consumer needs before choosing a service provider.
- Diagnostics: Diagnostics support includes periodic checks on hardware and software to spot potential failures, conflicts and software-related issues. It’s an important part of ensuring that a computer or computer network can run without issues.
- Virus and malware help: When computers are infected with viruses or malwares, tech support services remove them and restore the computer.
- Data recovery: If a computer or computer network has been compromised, sometimes data is lost. Tech support services can help with data recovery to ensure that consumers don’t lose valuable information.
- Customization: The more customizable a service is, the more likely you’ll find a plan that’s exactly right for you and doesn’t require you to pay for unnecessary services.
Some consumers need constant help and immediate support, while smaller businesses or individuals only need occasional help. A tech support service should have pricing models that meet a company’s needs.
- Self-help tools: Sometimes education is as valuable for consumers as it is for on-site or remote tech support. Some tech support services offer valuable self-help tools that can help consumers take care of small problems easily.
- As-needed service: Some companies need constant on-site maintenance while others only need a quick job performed now and then. Consumers should look for a company that offers a custom structure that fits their needs.
- Direct access: Some tech services offer direct access to the specialists and services that a consumer needs based on their account profile. This can save time in waiting to reach a service representative or having to be redirected to a different department.
Types of tech support companies
Retail shop for computer novices
Computer owners can bring their devices to retail shops and receive help from tech experts. Shops are a great support option for people who have infrequent computer issues.
On-site small business support
These services provide on-site support for small businesses that don’t employ a full-time tech support team.
Remote business support
These services are meant for businesses that need 24/7 support. Their techs can access computers remotely, and also offer help and support via chat, email and phone.
These services offer both on-site and remote tech support. This ensures that the service can help consumers with any problems they encounter, whether remotely or with an on-site visit.
People who use tech support services
These consumers need tech support for a limited number of devices. They most often need support on a case-by-case basis and don’t usually require a steady pipeline of help.
Small business usually have more computer equipment and devices than individuals and need more support to ensure that their companies don’t lose money or business. They can benefit from an as-needed subscription service.
Big corporations need consistent tech support. If they don’t have an on-site tech support team, they may use a tech support service that is available around the clock and is well-versed in dealing with sophisticated computer networks.
Expert reviews for tech support companies
Tech to Us offers support for both homes and businesses, with services ranging from computer tune-ups to business data backup, and everything in between. Tech to Us is a US based company, offering remote support directly from Hartford, CT. All home support plans include support for unlimited devices and unlimited PC tune-ups. Businesses and organizations can customize a plan based on their specific needs, so you can get all the technical support your business needs.
My Computer Works, Inc. was established in 2005 and is headquartered in Scottsdale, Ariz. They offer remote technical support for all types of devices to individuals and businesses.
TechSupportExpert provides remote computer assistance IT support for residential customers and small business owners. The company offers service for Microsoft and Apple software as well as hardware support for Macs, PCs, printers and routers. TechSupportExpert has been in business since 2000 and is part of E4site Inc.
MyCleanPC is a downloadable tool that will find and repair or remove adware, file errors, registry errors and temporary files on your computer that might cause it to be slow. It works on systems running Microsoft Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10. MyCleanPC is a part of USTechSupport, which makes software products to help consumers with their computers.
Bask has offered tech support for over 10 years and focuses on remote support. They also offer on-site support, which is slightly more expensive.
Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.
iYogi provides tech support to customers and small businesses. It is available in the U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, UAE, India and Singapore.
FixNow is an independent provider of remote tech support for third party products and services.
- Pricing: FixNow offers reasonably priced services for unlimited access to a host of experts.
- 24/7 hotline: The company offers a 24/7 Tech support number for individuals that need frequent help.
- Flexible plans: FixNow has a number of different plans that are catered toward a variety of consumers.
- Unreliable services: FixNow doesn’t have a reputation for providing reliable and trustworthy service to consumers.
- Security: The company does not provide reputable, secure services for their clients.
- Focused on small clients: They do not have the functionality to support larger businesses and networks.
- Best for: Individuals
24/7 Techies is a cheap company of Microsoft-certified techies that offers unlimited tech support and a 30-day money back guarantee.
My Nerds is an independent company that offers remote technical support for software, hardware and peripherals. They specialize in network-enhanced remote desktop support.
- 24/7 support: Because the company specializes in remote support, My nerds technicians are available 24/7 to handle issues and problems.
- Experienced at virus repair: My Nerds is very adept at virus repair and can fix many viruses remotely for a flat fee.
- Client success rate: They have been able to resolve many client issues with malware and viruses in the past.
- Not certified: Their experts are not certified with any particular hardware or software companies.
- Customer service: Service is remote only.
- Fees: Their flat fees sometimes charge more than the service would cost a la carte.
- Best for: Small businesses, individuals
GuruAid provides tech support for third party brands and specializes in remote support.
AskPCExperts has been in business for over a decade. They provide PC support solutions remotely.
- Can provide support for a wide range of issues: The service can help with malware removal, system optimization, software installation and peripheral set up among other services.
- Long history: This service has been operating for over a decade and employs very experienced technicians.
- Flexible plans: The company offers a wide range of plans and a la carte services.
- Employees: All remote tech support is based in India so it can be difficult to get in touch and communicate with technicians if consumers are based in the U.S.
- Customer service: Phone calls can be difficult at times when trying to contact technicians or service reps.
- Pricing: Customers find that their services aren’t always fairly priced.
- Best for: Small businesses, corporations
Colocation America provides tech support and IT services throughout America. It was founded in Los Angeles in 2000 and now serves all 50 states.
- Offers servers in several locations: Files can be stored on servers throughout the United States, allowing for service in all 50 states.
- Offers IP, hosting and server solutions: Regardless of IT needs, Colocation America provides service for homes and businesses.
- Server leasing available: Users can lease a customized server, built to their specifications, to ensure their data storage needs are met.
- Server management available: Users who don't have the time or inclination to manage their server themselves can get a fully managed solution.
- Lower costs: Users can get fast upload times and other benefits for a lower price than other colocation services.
- Best for: Small businesses, large businesses and businesses that need to store confidential information.
ComputerSupport.com offers managed IT services through its team of highly trained and certified engineers and technical consultants. The company has earned multiple accolades, including the Boston Business Journal Pacesetter Award, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Blue Ribbon Small Business Award, the Skyhigh Enterprise-Ready seal and the 2015 Cloudys: Cloud Channel Innovation Award. It has also featured on CRN's Next-Gen250 and MSPmentor's Top 500 and Top 250 Executives lists.
- Cloud enablement: ComputerSupport.com works in partnership with Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services to enable businesses to move their workloads to the public cloud.
- Industry expertise: The company serves a variety of industries, including legal, financial, manufacturing, technology, insurance and non-profit.
- Vulnerability management: ComputerSupport.com offers enterprise-ready solutions designed to identify vulnerabilities and prevent compliance issues and breaches.
- Nationwide support: The company provides 24/7 professional remote and on-site IT support to businesses throughout the United States.
- Certifications: ComputerSupport.com is a Microsoft Cloud Accelerate Partner, and its engineers and technical consultants hold certifications from industry leaders such as Microsoft, HP, Citrix, Cisco, VMWare and Amazon Web Services.
- Best for: IT professionals, small to medium sized businesses and growing companies requiring remote or on-site support.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Compare Reviews for Top Tech Support Services
|FixNow.us||Read Expert Review|
Founded in 2000, FixNow.us has 24-hour tech support via their website or toll-free number. You can use their Free Issue Diagnosis to talk with a representative, and their annual plans cover 24/7 remote technical support and more.
|AskPCExperts||Read Expert Review|
AskPCExperts are leaders in the field of tech support, and are available 24/7/365. They will tackle any tech issue, including PC optimization, diagnostics and repairs, device setup and installation, and virus removal.
Read 5 Reviews
24/7 Techies offer round-the-clock support and free diagnoses of tech issues. They are a Microsoft Certified Gold partner, and their support agents are required to obtain Microsoft Certified System Administrator certification.
|My Nerds||Read Expert Review|
My Nerds offers premium 24/7 tech support, online or via a toll-free number. "Nerds" is an acronym for Network Enhanced Remote Desktop Support and they only use certified A+ remote support technicians, all located in the U.S.