3.7/5 (1487 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I bought $3,200 worth of electronic tech devices for my new home in FL direct from Best Buy (BB) in April 2021. All of it was installed by The Geek Squad and I purchased the Total Tech Support plan for $191.70 including tax. The ring outdoor doorbell and camera has been offline for 4 months, it worked for about 7 weeks. I called into BB for the total tech support, was transferred to 6 different representatives over 2 hours, the final support representative of which offered to send a tech out, look at the device, re-install it if necessary for $70. Apparently that kind of support isn't covered. Not sure why anyone in their right mind would pay $190+ when it offers little to no value, comes at an additional cost, not discounting the loss of time and additional frustration. Don't do it...

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I ordered a gas dryer from Best Buy, and Geek Squad delivered and installed it. But instead of properly clamping the air vent to the back of the dryer, the installers taped it to the dryer, and the air vent quickly detached from the dryer, venting hot air and lint into my house. I had to wait 6 days for another appointment with Geek Squad to have the dryer installed properly. The 2nd installers properly clamped the air vent to the dryer but, in the process, crushed the air vent hose so that I wound up with a blockage in the hose and couldn't use the dryer. This is completely inexcusable!!! I will never again use Geek Squad for appliance installation or repair.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Geek Squad was supposed to come to my home on 08/21/2021 to install MoCA equipment. The tech called that morning and after a discussion he said he can’t do that specific work. The appointment was cancelled. I have numerously requested my money back to no avail from Best Buy. I had paid $199.99 to join the Geek Squad service. I don’t know who is worse, Best Buy or Geek Squad.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I made an appointment with the Geek Squad today to have noisy fan on the back of my under 1 year old computer looked at. I purchased a two year protection plan so I figured it was covered. Yes it's covered if I want to wait 4-6 weeks to change out a fan they stock on the shelf. They even had the balls to charge me for the $15 dollar fan. So I purchased the fan and changed it out myself in about 5 minutes. This a computer my son uses for school and can not be without it for 4-6 weeks. What good is a protection plan if it has to be sent out for 4-6 weeks and the service techs are not even willing to help out. They should have been getting the part off the shelf and installing it on the spot for the money I spent. Total scam in my opinion. How many people are they robbing every day? This kind of thing has to stop or be corrected.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I'm writing anyone who is even considering this "protection plan" to run. This is a straight up scam. They will promise you they will cover damage, fix or replace. It's a LIE. They will charge you, they will make it very hard to get any kind of service, they will hang up on you after you've been on hold for hours. Learn from my mistake and don't waste your money. I'm $400 deep in paying for this "protection" and they will not fix my phone without charging me $200 more because the back of my phone is cracked. I don't even need that part fixed but they refuse to do it without me paying. On top of that they told me screen repairs were covered.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

They were fine at first, they hook into your computer and fix any problems. They charge by the year. The last time someone got into my bank account, got $2000.00 hooked up with them and they said that they would check it out. Well after about 8 hours of working on it, they said that I owed them $350.00 for extra work, which they never told me at first. All costs were supposed to be covered. After not using them for awhile I wondered if they had something to do with missing money. Been trying to connect with them for 3 days now and it reads that I have been unlinked from them, still have time remaining on last contact, makes me wonder. Watch out for them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Seth of the Geek Squad met me at the door in Sherman Texas. Nice touch! I requested an appointment through the national Best Buy contact to determine if the LG sound bar was working properly. Seth told me how to hook up the sound bar and even drew a diagram. But what I wanted was for Seth to test the sound bar to see if it was working properly. Seth stated that he could not do that without the proper equipment. He returned the sound bar to me with instructions to reconnect the sound bar and make another appointment if it did not work. I wonder why I drove 15 miles for that service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Horrible experience all around!! Called in for customer support only to be hung up on three times - I have escalated my case twice with having them confirm someone will call me "within 24hours"... It's been 5 days and I have called twice to re-escalate. One of the customer support employees has been incredibly rude, calling me a liar and laughing about my issue. I have wasted so much time and energy trying to get a simple warranty claim resolved. HORRIBLE experience. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Presently on hold with Geek Squad rep Chad for second time (18 minutes and counting), first time they hung up. Also online in chat for tech since 11:37 a.m. (It is now 2:24 pm.) Not sure I will ever get help.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Tried to get my dead tv replaced for two weeks after only a year of use. Two year service contract that they do everything they can to avoid honoring. They can’t fix tv and need to replace the value. Don’t buy Best Buy Geek Squad service. It is a waste of money.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

Geek Squad Company Information