3.28/5
Based on 1,548 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad

Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Sony 4K TV which came with a soundbar approx 2 years ago. The soundbar worked for approx 6 months, and then stopped working and we recently contacted Geek Squad (who initially installed it) in an attempt to rectify the situation. We started by calling 1-800-433-5778 which was a joke - passed from person to person and after 10 minutes on hold, line went dead. We tried to call the (Burlington, Ontario) store but we couldn't get anyone to pick up in 3 separate attempts. Finally, we drove to store and Geek Squad Rep was easy to deal with and booked us a next day appointment for a home visit.

Jason and Andrew showed up on time, were efficient, professional and had the problem corrected within 30 minutes or so - I particularly appreciated their patience and understanding as they took the time to answer any questions I had. Jason and Andrew are GREAT representatives for the Company and I really hope Best Buy can do something tangible and meaningful for them in the way of recognition. Simply put, they are the reason I will most certainly call Geek Squad next time I require audio/visual/computer assistance.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I took my computer that was knock out due to a lightning strike and to see if it could be fixed but it was fried. What the Geek Squad did do for me is load all my old stuff from my fried computer into a new one I bought there for a good deal I might add. And only charged me $80.00. So with the headache I was looking at without all my info and they got it done in only 2 day. Very impressed. Thank you Geek Squad in Farragut TN for a job well done.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I had bought a Samsung NU8500 65" Curve TV from Best Buy and I went ahead and bought the extended 5 yr. warranty with it for like 300.00 more and after 7 months of having the TV there popped up a red vertical line on the left side of the TV. So I called Geek Squad and they came over to my home and diagnosed it as a bad display and ordered me a new one so I had to wait another week and a half for it to come in.

They then came back and replaced the display and put the TV back together and after getting it back on the TV mount stand of mine they turned it on and no red line and I have my TV back and everything works. I am glad I had them and I had nothing to worry about knowing the Samsung company covered the warranty and I still have my 5 year warranty as well. Thanks! Geek Squad.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Geek Squad is my best technical help on the internet that I can possibly receive for my money's worth. Be sure and call for Geek Squad service rather than going to online chat line. Best Buy Geek Squad even rebuilt a computer for me and described the parts needed and where to get them. I cannot give thanks enough to a great group of techs. They are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Every time they work on my computer, I learn something from that experience. If I could give better than 5 stars, I would. They are awesome and recommend them to work on any computer.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

My husband bought a gaming laptop and asked for the Geek Squad insurance. That is $22/month. I bought my laptop and said no to geek squad. I didn’t need it as my husband already had it. Recently found out that I have been billed for geek squad on both of my bank accounts, my account and the joint account with my husband, so $22/month on each account. This would have started after my laptop purchase but since I have work and kids I didn’t notice the extra missing from my account. When I actually checked it had been taken out each month for well over a year. I have been given the run around and still have no answers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I I went to Geek Squad to get security cameras installed. They asked me to pay the full amount before installing cameras as well as survey fee. On the date of survey visit, I was told that we can not install the cameras to this house because of some limitations imposed by geek squad. Very struggling to get my money back.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

First no one every told as a customer that I could only go to 2 locations in my state to fix my phone with Geek Squad protection. Cool. I make an appt for one and the things days will be fixed SAME day if parts available and have to leave work early. Ok get there for my appt. Parts are all in and boom they tell me they cant fix it same day because the tech has the number allowed repairs for the day. So I wasted time off work, almost an hour sitting there and I have to now take more time off work to go back. Very sad that a company advertises one thing and says another.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I have had Geek Squad try to fix my computer. 5 Times they tried and 5 Times I still have an issue but worse. Figuring that I had to wait a total of 10 hours plus before a got help it's lost time without a solution. They fixed my Google so it opens when I start my computer and opening the last page I was on. Not a repair - just a way to fix my solution without fixing my problem. Very Disappointed and wasted money.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Computer service. Took system in to have internet fixed. System has been there for 45 days and still not fixed. Last time I went in they didn't have my power cable and all files were missing from the system. They suck.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

We had purchased a high-performing ASUS laptop for roughly $1700. It worked well for a few months, and then the mother board died. Since it was covered under a 1 year manufacturer warranty, we decided to make a claim to have it repaired. Unfortunately, due to the fact that it was a Best Buy exclusive model, the only way to make the claim was to submit it to the Geek Squad service. I should emphasize that we were reluctant to trust our device with Geek Squad, considering the awful stories we've heard from friends, but it was either this, or eat the price of new laptop and buy another. At the time, it made the most sense to claim the warranty and trust Geek Squad. In retrospect, this was a stupid idea, and we would have been far better off eating the cost of the laptop.

Since we had pictures of our firstborn daughter from the moment that she was literally five minutes old on this laptop, we paid $100 for a data backup before it was shipped off for repairs. Even though this was strictly a hardware issue, we wanted the extra security of having the data backed up - you know, just in case... Fast forward a couple of months. The laptop is finally returned, but the primary 256GB SSD hard drive is missing, and the secondary rotating 1TB hard drive had been wiped with a new install of Windows 10. Never mind the fact that the hard drives shouldn't have been touched at all for a motherboard repair - we had just received a "repaired" laptop that was now less powerful than the one we sent out.

After we took the laptop in to locate the missing hard drive, we discovered that not only had the hard drive "simply vanished" somewhere between the Idaho Falls branch and the service center in Kentucky, but we also learned that Geek Squad had failed to backup both hard drives. Any data that was stored on the primary, misplaced hard drive was gone forever. Geek Sqaud was so "generous" and "quick to resolve" this situation that they offered to give me a blank, identical hard drive as a replacement for the missing drive AT NO COST TO ME! It was only after I complained several times and loud enough for other customers to hear that I was finally allowed to speak to a manager, who, after a long while of assuring me that in all of his three days of being a manager for Best Buy that it couldn't possibly have been his guys that screwed up, agreed to refund the $100 for the "data backup" service.

So, the net result is that we ended up with a laptop with an unneeded reformatting, a blank SSD in place of the working one with all of our data on it, a crappy partial restore of the backup data that was only on the secondary hard drive, and a refund of $100 only after making a scene in the store. [Sarcasm warning] Good job, Geek Squad. Way to look out for your customers. Like I said, in retrospect, I should have just eaten the $1700 for the broken laptop and bought a new one. Only this time, it will never be from Best Buy. I will never trust these ** again.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals