3.26/5
Based on 1,536 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad

Looking for a tech support service?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Geek Squad Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Sony 4K TV which came with a soundbar approx 2 years ago. The soundbar worked for approx 6 months, and then stopped working and we recently contacted Geek Squad (who initially installed it) in an attempt to rectify the situation. We started by calling 1-800-433-5778 which was a joke - passed from person to person and after 10 minutes on hold, line went dead. We tried to call the (Burlington, Ontario) store but we couldn't get anyone to pick up in 3 separate attempts. Finally, we drove to store and Geek Squad Rep was easy to deal with and booked us a next day appointment for a home visit.

Jason and Andrew showed up on time, were efficient, professional and had the problem corrected within 30 minutes or so - I particularly appreciated their patience and understanding as they took the time to answer any questions I had. Jason and Andrew are GREAT representatives for the Company and I really hope Best Buy can do something tangible and meaningful for them in the way of recognition. Simply put, they are the reason I will most certainly call Geek Squad next time I require audio/visual/computer assistance.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I took my computer that was knock out due to a lightning strike and to see if it could be fixed but it was fried. What the Geek Squad did do for me is load all my old stuff from my fried computer into a new one I bought there for a good deal I might add. And only charged me $80.00. So with the headache I was looking at without all my info and they got it done in only 2 day. Very impressed. Thank you Geek Squad in Farragut TN for a job well done.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 24, 2019

I had bought a Samsung NU8500 65" Curve TV from Best Buy and I went ahead and bought the extended 5 yr. warranty with it for like 300.00 more and after 7 months of having the TV there popped up a red vertical line on the left side of the TV. So I called Geek Squad and they came over to my home and diagnosed it as a bad display and ordered me a new one so I had to wait another week and a half for it to come in.

They then came back and replaced the display and put the TV back together and after getting it back on the TV mount stand of mine they turned it on and no red line and I have my TV back and everything works. I am glad I had them and I had nothing to worry about knowing the Samsung company covered the warranty and I still have my 5 year warranty as well. Thanks! Geek Squad.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Geek Squad is my best technical help on the internet that I can possibly receive for my money's worth. Be sure and call for Geek Squad service rather than going to online chat line. Best Buy Geek Squad even rebuilt a computer for me and described the parts needed and where to get them. I cannot give thanks enough to a great group of techs. They are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Every time they work on my computer, I learn something from that experience. If I could give better than 5 stars, I would. They are awesome and recommend them to work on any computer.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Purchased an iPhone 7 a couple of years ago and decided to get the warranty as the sales associate was very convincing. Brought the phone to BB as I cracked the screen and they told me to call their warranty office as they do not handle warranties at the store (not what I was told when I purchased the phone). I called and they told me there will be a $226 processing fee and that my phone replacement credit could be less if there was anything else wrong with the phone. Considering you can purchase the same phone for the same price, the warranty is absolutely garbage. If I knew this I would not have purchased the warranty. Sales associates on commission, I should have known better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

We have a retail store and are totally dependent on our Lenovo Point Of Sale computer. In order to not have problems we have had a contract for service with Geek Squad for several years. Our computer started running slow so we had Geek Squad log in and run diagnostics. It took over an hour and when they were done our Intuit Point of Sale didn't work at all. We ended up losing 4 hours of business while Intuit replaced/repaired what Geek Squad "FIXED". Afterwards we couldn't get a live person on the phone locally or through their website. We lost hundreds of dollars in sales! Very poor service!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

My family have had numerous Samsung phones, with 4 claims over 8 years where I had once to pay $75 since I had broke the screen. Got our daughter an IPHone 7, it is 2 years old now and the phone slipped out of her pocket as she stood up and it cracked the glass. I am told for this phone it is $200 to fix the screen after paying 2 yrs of protection. I can have the glass replaced for that much so how does the protection help me with a now ~$300 dollar phone that I have paid almost 400 for the protection to charge me the full cost of repair. I was surprised and appalled by this. So after the first year, carrying forward protection for Iphones with them may very well be more expensive than dealing with it yourself. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

When I bought my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) I purchased a protection for it under GeekSquad. I started paying $15.8 every month. 20 months later my phone's display cracked and I got in touch with the Geek Squad. They did not find my account, even though my credit card was showing I have paid them every 24th day of the month. They asked me for another phone number I might have used, which was just not possible. I've had this number for 5 years.

Sometime later, I changed my credit card and of course, they started emailing me about unsuccessful payment!!! So when I called this time, they could find my account from the number my email included. The phone number on my account was a random number I never had heard about! I was still happy, thinking now I can make my claim and get my phone fixed. Turned out they can fix my phone but will charge me $200 for it! I have not paid $200 for my phone when I bought it!! I have paid them $395 over the last 2 years!! I can get a BRAND NEW Samsung galaxy S7 UNLOCKED for $219 from Best Buy today!

At the time of purchase, I was told all coverage is free! The customer service told me he is sorry that no one informed me of the $200 service fee when I signed up! He refused to let me talk with his manager, and said he is on a call and I have to wait 7 minutes. I agreed to wait, but he changed his mind and said he actually will connect me to the claim department to complain! I am sorry for all customers who have been suffering by this company's hands and am going to start a social media campaign to make sure customers know about my experience.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My computer crashed. Data was not available. Talked into sending it to Best Buy's Geek Squad despite a previous experience that was not positive. BIG MISTAKE. This was a business computer, that we use every day. They charged me $150. To rush the work. They had my computer for 3 weeks... That is not a rush to me. Were hard to reach to find out anything, unresponsive to contacts with them. I WILL NEVER USE THE GEEK SQUAD AGAIN. I am sure I could have had a local computer person recover my data in very short order and they would have kept me informed as to progress. Awful experience again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

We purchased Geek Squad Insurance for three new cell phones thru Best Buy. We decided to get the Insurance which we pay $13.49 per phone per month. Nearly 2 years later we tried to make a claim on one phone. First call to Geek Squad we were told we had to go back to Best Buy to make the claim, then at Best Buy we were told a claim had to be made on line thru Geek Squad, which at that time were given a claim number and were told they would get back to us. Finally after waiting a few weeks I called their 1800 number. Telling them what the problem was with the phone Patrick (the Rep) said they would be mailing us a new phone. Well that was easy.... until he mentioned he was going to Bill our credit card $650.00. I asked him why and his response was, "Well we are sending you a new phone."

I told him I was NOT paying $650 for a new phone as that’s why we had been paying for full coverage. He then told me I had a second option, which was they would send new phone but it would take 7-10 days and I would only be charged a $250.00 deductible. At no time were we told of any deductible and again told him that I was not paying that and I proceeded to CANCEL all insurance with them. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals