1.18/5

Looking for a tech support service?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1191 Geek Squad Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

What a clown show. It would tantamount to bringing your injured child to the local video game champ and expecting professional medical care. A simple microphone driver issue inadvertently turned into the blue screen of death within 10 minutes of one of their 16 year old "professionals" monkeying with it. To compound matters, prior to them starting their experiment, they forgot to back up my files on the peripheral drive I gave them. Fool me once...

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I bought a new laptop at Best Buy. I was already a Geek Squad plan subscriber. The person at Best Buy sold me a new plan, which was the same price as my existing plan, but covered all my equipment in my home (old and new purchases). At that point, she was supposed to cancel my old plan but she didn't. I was charged for 2 plans for 2 months until I contacted Geek Squad and they cancelled the old plan. But they will not reverse the charges in error for the 2 months. They said since the plan is now cancelled, they cannot credit the charges in error. This is stealing. I lost trust in Geek Squad... they are money grabbers. It is their error, and they refuse to correct it. Do no go with them.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I bought Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus from your store on 5th ave last July 2017. I also bought Geek Squad protection for two years. Recently I accidentally drop my phone on the floor and had cause a minor crack and I also have a problem of my charging port. Since I bought two years Geek Squad protection, which stated will cover "A one-time payment option for two years is also available. Geek Squad Protection Plan must be purchased with the product online or in store, or within 15 days by visiting a store. A service fee will be assessed if we determine that we need to replace your device. Drops, Spills and Cracks. We'll replace your device if you accidentally damage it by dropping or spilling on it in the course of normal use.

Battery Replacement. We'll replace the battery if it fails to hold a charge. (There is a one-time limit on nondisposable batteries.) Normal Wear and Tear. We fix failures from dust, internal heat and humidity, plus defects in materials and workmanship. Mechanical Failure. We'll offer continual coverage on defects after the manufacturer's warranty ends. Accessories. We'll cover any of the accessories that came with your original phone purchase, including a home charger, earbuds and more. Transferable. Anyone you give the covered product to will be able to obtain service under the Protection Plan. No additional charges or restrictions apply."

As Geek Squad protection promised above: I went to the store in hoping my phone will be fixed. However, the staff said the department will refuse to fix my phone due to minor crack that I had. Instead the company will ask to replace me a new phone, (brand new) but will charge service fees, which is 199.99 plus taxes (total 217.74 $). I wasn't really want to paid that amount but I did because at least I thought I will get a new phone. The shipping was very fast. I got replacement by the next day. I am very much disappointed to see the phone was refurbished one. Why would I buy Geek Squad protection if even this minor problem cannot be solved as it's promised, I could have bought insurance from Samsung directly or even trade in my phone with third party, I still can get a very good refurbished one.

I am very much disappointed and feel Geek Squad was a scam, cheating peoples. I would like to get my refund for the rest of my protection plan plus refund for the replacement phone they sent me today. I had online chat with Geek Squad agent. He didn't help solve the provide, instead he suggested to go to local store or call their center agent. I am very regret and furious for buying geek squad protection. I want my compensation the year I have paid as well.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Never again will I buy a Geek Squad protection plan. Our 2 yr old washer with a 5 year Geek Squad service plan stopped draining. I made a call and a service tech came out 2 days later. The first thing he asked was, “have you washed any rugs in the machine?” which I answered honestly and told him we have washed small area rugs (the washable kind) - on occasion. The tech just looked in the machine and said he was sorry but washing rugs voids the service plan and that you can’t wash rubber backed rugs.

I was of course surprised and annoyed and said, "I want to see where it says this in writing." The only thing he could show me was that the plan prohibits “abuse of use” and he said washing rugs is “abuse”. The tech was also very defensive when I asked questions about how he knew that since he had not even looked at it, he just said “I don’t have to take this” and started walking out. He spoke over me and would not let me ask any more questions.

It has now been almost two weeks later and after many calls and getting sent around to different call centers I have had no service and not one person has called me back. I do however now have the notes submitted by the tech that came to our house which are full of lies about the visit. He stated I yelled and screamed at him and chased him through the house. He also said we washed dry clean only rugs and the rubber backing separated in the washer, which is totally false. There is no way he could have even assessed that by just opening the washer door. He also said the transmission and drain pump was ruined, which is funny (not really) because it took me about an hour to open up the back, check the pump which had NO rubber backing in it, but did have some sand that was causing the pump to not work correctly.

I only brushed it clean and put it back together and the washer works just fine now. The transmission and the pump were not in fact “ruined”! No one even diagnosed what the problem was, but we were told we had no coverage because we washed a rug (which was by the way, marked as washable and it’s smaller than 2’x3’). So in summary, we will no longer be purchasing Best Buy products with a Geek Squad warranty because:

1. We have experienced terrible customer service, from the service tech who lied about just about everything during his visit to our home – to the so-called managers that shuffled us around on the phone promising to give us top priority and then never calling us back, forcing us to make more calls and spend hours on hold and giving the information over and over again from the beginning each time!

2. The incompetence of the technician to even try to diagnose the problem with the washer. I was able to fix it myself by simply cleaning some sand out of the pump area – the transmission and pump were not ruined as the technician stated. His guess by opening the lid of the washer and taking a 2 second peek inside was completely wrong!

3. The spontaneous invention of events that would void the service plan (washing a rubber backed rug). Everyone washes a small rug once in a while in their washer. Even two of the Geek Squad people we asked said they do that all of the time. If washing a small throw rug is considered “abuse of use” then you’d better state that somewhere and advise at the time of purchase. This really seems like a scam to get out of repairing machines (and in our case, it really wasn’t even the cause of the pump not working).

You really need to get your act together on appliance repair Geek Squad. I’ve talked to other people with similar experiences of terrible customer service on other products. We have spent a lot of money at Best Buy and we will definitely not purchase another appliance there. We will also be thinking twice about electronics as we cannot trust the Geek Squad to honor their service plans.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Long story short... I will never purchase from Best Buy or use Geek Squad again. Since March 2018, I have purchased over $7000.00 at Best Buy for my business and will now be taking this business elsewhere. Purchased an HP laptop from Best Buy. Laptop quit working a couple of months after purchase (black screen). Geek Squad was to fix it and said it would take approximately 1 week.

2 weeks later I stopped by to check on the laptop only to be told it wasn't ready. Over 3 weeks later I finally received a call from Geek Squad to notify me that it was ready and I needed an appointment to pick it up. Told them I would have to call back to schedule the appointment. A couple hours later I received an automated message from Best Buy stating that my product was ready to pick up and didn't need to make an appointment. So I went down a couple days later to pick up the laptop... Only to be treated like complete dirt by the Geek Squad associate because I didn't make an appointment.

After 20 minutes of speaking with the associate (that wasn't busy, no other customers) he finally had me sign a piece of paper and gave me my laptop. He didn't even need to go over anything regarding the laptop. The transaction would have only taken a total of 2.5 minutes if he would have just given me the laptop instead of arguing about making an appointment and coming back later.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have a 2 year old HP Pavilion laptop. The power button intermittently worked so I took it in for a repair from the Ft Myers location. I paid the $84.99 fee. They sent it out the 1st time - the Geek Squad hit the power button 1 time, it turned on, they said nothing was wrong, they sent it back. The local store had me in and could not get the unit to turn on for over an hour. They sent it out again, with a Priority tag. The power button was replaced, it was sent back. The local Ft Myers store again could not get it to turn on for about 30 minutes.

They sent it out a 3rd time. This time they replaced the power button, the hard drive and battery. It was sent back and worked fine - for 3 days. I called again and brought the unit in. The Ft Myers store said they would send it out again or they would give me 20% off a new laptop. I countered with "How about you fix this 2-year-old unit's power on button." They sent it out again. The squad turned it on and off 5 times, said all was OK and sent it back. The Ft Myers store tried to turn it on and nothing.

They offered me 20% off a new unit. I said if I was to purchase a new unit it would be from anywhere but a BestBuy. They also said even though they put in a lot of notes on the problem, usually the remote service locations ignore the notes, do what they think is needed and send the unit back. The local store has no control over the level of service needed. 2 hours of trying and I was able to get the unit to power on, but cannot turn it off and risk it not coming back on again. The Geek Squad does not follow the directions and notes left for them by the sending location - they simply turned it on, did not check it, and sent it back with the problem intact. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM BESTBUY IF YOU WANT TO ENSURE THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR SERVICE!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

This was a horrible experience. I only gave them a 1 star because I could not give them a zero! Scheduled appt for 11/05 for TV that has a 5 year service contract. They did not show up and now I have to wait until 11/21. No worries though - they said "I'm sorry" at least 100 times. I do give credit to the store manager - she is trying to resolve the issue. What a mess.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I purchased a new Surface Book and extensive 3-year extended warranty plan through Geek Squad. They had to replace the first charger. A year later, the second charger has melted. When I tried to get a replacement, their response is that once they have replaced the part one time, their policy obligation is met. That is NOT what the plan says. DO NOT waste your money at Best Buy. Buy it somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Customer service is the worst. They do not value your time and keep transferring your calls from one department to another. If I have to stay on a call for 90 minutes just to file a claim, you literally owe me money for wasting my time. This is not the first time. Every time they come up with something or the other to get on your nerves. Please buy any other insurance if you can.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

This morning, I phoned Geek Squad about increasing my desktop memory. They offered to do a tuneup which they did and in the process removed a program with all my passwords in it including passwords to bank etc. They tried to correct it but could only get a portion of the information back. All this took 2 hours. I wanted to receive compensation for this incredible inconvenience, at least a rebate on a couple of month's subscription.

Do you think I could get anyone to deal with this? I contacted billing who transferred me back to technical after saying they were transferring me to customer service. Technical referred me to a number for customer service which ended up being a general number. No customer service option there. I phoned Best Buy customer service who said that they could not help me and I am now on the phone (have been holding for over 1/2 hour). Each of these services has at least a 15 minute wait in line. I have now been dealing with Geek Squad and Best Buy for 4 hours and am nowhere nearer to resolution.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My mother purchased a laptop and signed a contract with Geek Squad. She was told that she would have 24/7 service. She was so disappointed as when she wanted help set up her printer. They wanted 50.00 plus the 20.00 she already pays a month. She would not have signed the contract knowing that there would of been extra charges. She is 86 years old and thought she was doing the family a favour by not having to bother people with her computer. So disappointed in the company.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I feel like my laptop is being held hostage. I dropped it off for a hinge repair and screen replacement was told 7-10 days. It's now day 30 and counting, "it's still waiting for parts". My service ticket doesn't even work anymore to track the repair. I have called 10 times and am STILL waiting for a call back from the service technician department itself despite 4 escalations tickets, speaking with a manager, the rep at the store and countless service associates. Now I am trying to get it back and I can't even do that until someone from that same department calls me. I could be dead by then. I won't even get into the process to call in a speak with an actual person that alone is 4 prompts deep and you can't get out of it. DO NOT EVER TAKE YOUR COMPUTER TO BEST BUY FOR REPAIRS. You would be better off letting your 14yo fix it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

More than 5 weeks ago I took my $1500.00 laptop that was just a couple of days over the 4 weeks whereby they will replace a defective laptop with a new one. A hinge on my Flagship HP laptop started "catching" on the monitor case and causing it to separate. I took it to my local Best Buy and although I had an appointment, I sat for about an hour before one of the "Agents" told me to come back in a few hours. When I did, they decided to send my computer out for repair. I tracked it about three weeks ago and it said they needed a part, they had the part and were going to assign someone to fix it. I tried to check again for a few weeks and could find no information. I checked again today and it says it is in repair. NEARLY SIX WEEKS LATER!!! They have had possession of my computer longer than I ever did. Keep in mind this issue had nothing to do with any mistreatment, wear and tear or abuse. Just poor engineering.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Took my computer to Best Buy and it should be under warranty, and they said they will send it to the manufacturer, at no charge. They not only didn't do what they say, but also send it to their own repair center and I keep getting call that it will cost 500$ for a computer that it is 600$ new! I said, "No way", they send it back to Best Buy and still charge me 35$ for shipping, something that they shouldn't do. Phone system is the worst.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

After purchasing a Samsung washing machine from Best Buy in Dec 2017, the machine failed in Oct 2018 and started making grinding noises. We thought that the Geek Squad protection would be helpful but it's been nothing but FRUSTRATION. Tried calling multiple times on different days, only to wait on hold for 40+ minutes, and then when we finally got a live person on the phone, they asked for my number then hung up on us. I also tried their online support and after waiting for their reply, they referred me back to the phone number I had previously tried. TERRIBLE customer service. Don't waste your money. Go somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

While Geek Squad had my HP laptop, they cracked the bottom and side of the case, right behind the DVD door. The USB port, now is too small and crunched together to use. I did not notice the crack until I got home and tried to use the USB port. The truth is, if Geek Squad had been honest when I picked up the laptop, and admitted it was cracked during the hard drive replacement - This might not be such a scathing review. I will never use Geek Squad again, because of their lack of honesty. I believe they were upset that the replacement of the hard drive was covered under HP, and they weren't going to make a lot of $$ from me. I will never believe the case had to be cracked to replace a hard drive. And naturally - they did try to sell me a "solid state" hard drive when I picked up my laptop. I will be contacting Geek Squad HQ and file a formal complaint. As well, I will never purchase anything from Best Buy again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I bought protection plan and iPhone in 2016 December. My screen broken second time, I filed claim and opted for express option and paid security around 930 CAD. After a week I got my phone, after week means on 7th of day excluding holidays, I filed it on 4th Oct, 2018 Thursday, got it Friday next week 12th Oct. On 13th I opened the box as I was free as backup and then setting up takes time I chose it to do on Saturday.

To my frustration I saw the screen of new device they shipped having like less bright contrasts of colors, even child can notice that the screen was substandard. When I compared it with my broken screen and screen from my friend; he too on one glance told, "From where you bought this fake iPhone." It doesn’t stop here. There was a pixel just glowing over top in middle, swaing pages and on lock screen I could clear see it. I called customer care immediately and she talked nicely and told, "We gonna compensate this situation with some price coupon."

Today, I called them as again. It was taking longer, I opted for express service option for a reason, the first customer representative just left me on hold for 1 hour after saying she gonna transfer me to some senior. After one hour I ended the call and called back. This time I was told it's shipped and I gonna receive it by Friday. I filed this another claim on previous Saturday. They started claim on Monday and I am getting it on 5th day. Creepy service and I am not getting any coupon. They don’t care about what customer feels, this company is leech. Please stay out of it. You pay around device cost in year. Save same money in piggy bank, you gonna cover accidental damage cheaper than them. I guarantee that.

Resolution response: Oct. 15, 2018

Finally got a call back first thing this morning Monday saying they will replace the TV. I was able to go into bestbuy and exchange it for a new one at no hassle.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I'm going to try and be as clear as possible without ranting. Last week my Sharp Roku Smart TV had the display go out on the top half of the TV. I called the Geek Squad repair service since I paid for the two year protection at the time of purchase which was last year, and was given an appointment for that they would come out to my house to look at the tv. During this time the whole screen went out and on the day that they were supposed to come out to my house no one showed up. I got a call at exactly the minute our scheduled appointment was over that they had some car trouble and couldn't make. I'd get a call back later that day when they would show up. I waited and got no callback.

I called Open claims department and they told me they would look into it. According to them parts for the tv had be put on order and that they apologized for not communicating with me. However low and behold someone showed up the next day and took pictures of the tv. They told me someone would call me when they decided on what to do. I waited two days before calling the open claims department again. They told me that a repair estimate was sent to Best Buy for approval and that I would get a call back when that happens.

Here it is Saturday and I got no callback yesterday and when I tried to call Open Claims department I was told that they were closed for the weekend. Freaking unbelievable, it's been a whole week and nothing besides someone coming out and taking pictures has happened. I get no callbacks or email updates. It's as if I've been forgotten as my repair request isn't important enough to do anything about. If it's going to be such a hassle to repair the TV then I'd rather Best Buy would just replace the freaking thing. Yeah, it's great to have the extended warranty in case something happens, but don't expect quality customer service from them when it comes to making good on that warranty. I get 10 times better customer service from my cable provider than I have gotten with Geek Squad and the repair company that's supposed to fix my TV. Again if it's such a hassle to fix then just replace my TV with a new one. It's probably cheaper for them anyway.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

We thought that our computer had went bad so my fiance went to Best Buy and purchased a new tower, keyboard, and mouse only. I was not with her and they talked her into paying for the Geek Squad to come out to the house and hook it up. When they came out he said that it was not the computer that was bad but the monitor. Since our computer was old we kept the new one and purchased a new monitor. Which I had hooked up to the old computer before the Geek Squad came to the house. Everything worked fine but we still kept the new computer. When he came to the house to hook up the new computer he did not install the new keyboard, mouse or any of the new wires. He just used the old ones.

A week or so later when I went to use the printer it did not work correctly. It prints out a blank sheet every time before printing what you want. And we have yet to figure out how to print out certain pages without printing the stuff on the sides that you do not want printed. We never had these issues prior to the Geek Squad hooking up part of our new computer. When the guy left the house he gave us his card and said to call him if we had any issues. When I called the store to explain the problems they said that they would come back to the house but we would be charged for it. We have decided to not shop at Best Buy again if that is how they the treat customers like us that spend a great deal of money at their stores.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

They were called due to the range/oven sold by Best Buy (online) turning off. The appliance had very little use. We made an appointment and they came a few days later. They said they fixed the problem, but a few days later the range/oven turned off again. We called and asked for another appointment. The technician assigned with the case called A WEEK LATER (the day of the appointment!) to say that he was not coming, that he was going to order the parts and let us know when he could return. I called him the next day and he said it would take another week for the parts to arrive and for him to be able to return to fix the problem. This has not yet happened. When I asked Geek Squad if this could turn into a back and forth over a month period without range/oven, the operation said "that is correct."

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I've called Geek Squad customer service 3 times over the course of a month. I believe the center is located in Central America, confirmed by one of the representatives as Panama. On all 3 calls I experienced major language communication issues w/ English. All I needed from them was an emailed copy of a $52.99 Geek Squad charge to my credit card for a virus subscription renew. Each time, they confirm the charge is valid. After 3 attempts, still no receipt. Each time, they inform me that a receipt will be emailed in 2-3 days. Each time the date passes by with me calling them back to make sure the email on file is correct. If they're not even capable of forwarding a receipt, makes me question how capable they are in addressing a more serious, complicated CS question. I will be cancelling the anti-virus subscription. Never doing business with them again!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have told them over 50 times to stop calling me. Sometimes there is a callback number but usually not. Today I received a call from "Geek Squad" from this number: 1-178-680-7077. They infiltrated my computer over a year ago and now they constantly call me to tell me they owe me money! I have reported them to different fraud sites but...they still call every day. It is known that they engage in scamming on an international level. They usually say they are from "Geek Squad" but yesterday the caller said he was from "Geek Support." I have told them I will take legal action if they call again but...they keep calling.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was happy with the service until now, but their call centre was the worst thing. The person who served me first made a huge mistake, and claimed that I did not tell her when I wanted to cancel the membership which was 100% wrong. Listen the recording, then you know that I was stated that I wanted to cancel exact date, but not today. I was told by their guy to call ahead to cancel the service, and the person in the call centre totally messed up, but she did not admit her mistake and hung up on me. Worst customer service they have.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I purchased a dryer and washer online from Best Buy and got the Geek Squad protection on it. They go through 2nd and 3rd parties that are extremely rude and don't want to fix your appliances. I went through hell and got NOWHERE with them. Now I have a broken dryer and nothing to show for after calling and being on hold and dealing with nasty people. Save yourself time and money and go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I set an appointment to fix my television about 3 weeks ago. The day of the appointment I get a phone call from the technician saying that they never received the part they need to fix my tv and nobody was coming, despite me having to take a day off work. I called a few different people and after hours of infuriating conversations telling me how there's nothing they can do, the manager tells me that they have the part and he doesn't know why I would get that call and why nobody came.

They then scheduled a different appointment for me, without asking me. On Tuesday I get a call asking to confirm my appointment for Thursday. An appointment which I never made. Regardless, I accept the appointment and take the day off of work. Then today when the technician was supposed to come, I get a phone call identical to the one I received several weeks ago saying they never received the part and would have to re-order it. I've already have a few conversations and every single one and everything I've been told has played out exactly the way it did weeks ago. Which means nobody is coming and I still don't have a working tv. They haven't made me a new appointment, told me when and if they're getting the part, or told me why the manager confirmed he has the part there weeks ago when they were originally scheduled.

So now I've spent money on a protection plan except that I also had to take off work, twice, so that they could call me last second and tell me they're not coming. I spent money on a plan to end up losing even more money by not going to work and still haven't been told when or if they'll provide the service that I paid for. If they postpone this over and over until my protection plan ends and then my TV never gets fixed, they can expect a lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I have had 3 repair techs onsite and still after a month my washer is still not usable. I purchased a Whirlpool Cabrio washer July 2017, August 2018 we had a power surge and it stopped working. I called the Geek Squad because I had purchased an extended warranty. My first call I was on hold for 27 minutes, the person that answered took my phone number in case we got disconnected. Guess what, the call got dropped. I waited for an hour and no return call. I called back and was on hold 42 minutes, again they asked my number. They scheduled a service call for the following week.

The tech who worked for Mel's Appliance repair in Plant City Fl. arrived at my house within the window that was given. He walk up to my washer and asked what it was doing. I showed him and he said it needed a new circuit board. Said would take 3-5 days to get one. Almost 3 weeks went by. I called Geek Squad again. Was on hold 1 hr 17 minutes. Person took my number and placed me on hold. Guess what. We got disconnected again. I was so upset. I waited until the next day and called again. Requested to speak with a supervisor and never got one. The person called the Vendor (Mels) while I was on hold. Said part had arrived and would be out next week.

Mel's tech showed up with a new circuit board. He installed it and tried to start a load of laundry. Washer still did same thing. Said it may be the output valve or inlet valve. Would order the output valve first to see if that fixed it. I waited until he left then went straight to the local Best Buy where I purchased the unit. I asked to speak with the store Appliance Manager. A young lady came out and I explained what had transpired. She called the Geek Squad number that I had called, she was on hold for 32 minutes.

They asked for the number she was calling from, She explained what was happening and all the issues I had. After transferring her several times they disconnected her call. She was going to call back and I told her don't bother, I don't have another hour to sit there. I left the store. Later that day she called my wife and said she was sorry for all the issues. We were informed that the staff we talked to each time has no ability to call you back because they are not allowed to make outbound calls.

That night we got a call from Best Buy wanting us to rate the service call. I explained what happened and she agreed to send a different company, A premiere vendor for Whirlpool. A week later they showed up. The tech asked to see the washer, he walked up to it and entered a code into the front panel and it gave him a few codes. He replaced the clutch on the bottom, it gave 2 more codes. He stated they would have to order the part and it would be in within a week. Over a month and 5 trips to the laundry mat and $125 I am wondering why I bothered to buy an extended warranty.

With what I have spent on laundry mats and the extended warranty I am within a $150 of the cost of the washer. Worst part is we were told when we purchased the warranty that if unit could not be repaired in a timely manner it would be replaced. Not sure what they mean by that. We are now 6 weeks without our washer. Looking online at the number of issues and complaints there are huge issues with Best Buy and who they use for the warranties.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Our washing machine started overflowing. After stopping it and cleaning up the water we called to schedule service. The first appointment was nine days out. I asked for a callback from a supervisor which never happened. When we ended up with washing machine parts blocking the drain that also services our kitchen sink and washing machine, we have to find a plumber who requested backup from a water damage company. They are coming back out to start demolition on our house. We called to reschedule the service as we need to move everything out of the area. We were on hold for a few minutes and then given an option of getting a callback in 30 minutes. We took that option and in 30 minutes we were called back.

However the call rang through 2 or 3 times and we were put back on hold. 25 minutes later we finally got an agent. I should mention that rescheduling appointments is not something you can do online. I took extra minutes to speak to a supervisor who defensive and not understanding in the least. I expect better service so I will never buy another appliance from an organization that unapologetically offers such bad service at a time when I am already dealing with a major problem!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I dropped my Dell Inspiron 13 laptop and broke the screen. I brought it to Best Buy in Midwest City, Oklahoma's Geek Squad department to be repaired. They warned me it would have to be "sent off" somewhere out of state to be repaired and that it might take two weeks. THREE WEEKS LATER I finally got it back (not without having to make a few phone calls to get info about where it was, how much it would cost, etc.). I took it home and could not connect to any Wifi network, so I took it back to Geek Squad. The agent did some investigating and realized that whomever had worked on it offsite had removed the Wifi antenna and then did not replace them! Unfortunately, it had to be sent back AGAIN. I had already paid $207 and some change for the first repair, but I was assured that, because this was Geek Squad error, the repair would be free.

I was also told that the manager of the repair place would be notified and that it would be "escalated", meaning it would have highest priority. SIX DAYS LATER (so much for "escalation") I had not heard a thing. And the tracking emails they send are no help, as the status is rarely (or accurately) updated at the repair site. They just don't care. I called Geek Squad in Midwest City to try to find out the status. If it was to be escalated that should have meant it should be done as quickly as possible, but they don't hold to that. The kid at Geek Squad told me over the phone that he couldn't find out any more information than what I could already see myself on the online tracker. He didn't seem willing to try to offer up any more information than that. There was no, "Let me call someone and see what I can find out" or anything like that. Just, "Sorry, lady, I don't know."

I asked if he could have his manager call me and he said yes, but he didn't know when or if the manager would be in next!! I said never mind, hung up, and got in my car and drove there. I asked to speak with a store manager, who, after hearing my story, went to the kid at Geek Squad and told him to help me, so I was basically back at square one. No known repair status (at least none they would share with me) and he'd have a manager call me the next day (Wednesday). I got no call on Wednesday, so I called again about it on Thursday. Some other kid told me he'd have his manager call me "As soon as he gets in." He also said he'd find out the repair status and call me back. I got no return calls.

Today (Friday) I have called again and OF COURSE the freaking manager is STILL not freaking there! and OF COURSE, they said they'd have him call me. I AM DONE! These jerks broke my computer, made me pay for it, and now they are keeping it. I want someone in authority to contact me about it, and I want a corporate phone number to call and not some stupid 800 number that takes me to an out-of-the-country call center with a bad connection. If I didn't have a sick kid at home right now, I'd be up there raising hell until someone told me something definitive (or called the police on me). We have bought two laptops, Bluetooth headphones, a range extender, two cell phones, a microwave, and a few other things at Best Buy over the last three years. I am now done with this place.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I bought a car radio and other accessories from a Best Buy store in Missoula, Mt along with a warranty in Jun 2017. This store is 300 miles from my home and it is the closest Best Buy to my home. I just happened to be going through Missoula the other day and I stopped in because the Bluetooth failed on the hands free. They did a few checks and found it was in the radio itself and said needed to be sent into a service center for repair. OK. They couldn’t fix it. I didn’t get a radio to use so I just looked at a big hole in my dash for a month. It was a nice reminder of how good the service really was and it lasted for a quite a while. The biggest reason I bought the radio was for the hands free Bluetooth and now I didn’t have it.

A month past and I was called to be informed that the radio was “toast”...their words not mine. I said the only thing that wasn’t working was the phone wouldn’t send…it would only receive. Everything else on the radio worked fine. No they said it was “toast” and I would need to get a new radio...they said something in my truck caused the radio to quit working. I said, "I beg your pardon, sir, but my truck is just fine and your radio was working with the exception of the send mode on hands free." I got nowhere with this conversation. They said I just needed to go back to the store and they would set me up with a new one. That’s another 600 miles round trip to get a radio installed. There was a problem with not being able get the same radio as they didn’t make that one anymore.

They did have a Pioneer with the same features as the one I had and he would be glad to send that one in its place. In the conversation over the phone, the guy told me I could probably put the radio in myself and he would be glad to send it to me. I asked if it was just a plug in and go or would there be more to it than that. He said it should just go right in. Please keep in mind we are going from a Kenwood to a Pioneer system. I’m not a technician, but I can do things such as install a radio if it is just a matter of plugging it in and mounting it to the dash. I agreed and he sent it to my home.

It arrived in a few days. I went to work and tried to install it, but this was not just a plug it in and go. This thing needed to b rewired as the pigtail was not the same as the Kenwood. My son stopped over and he was able to wire it per instructions we found on the internet, with a few exceptions. We didn’t have a way to make the steering wheels controls work at all. There were also a few wires that seemed to not be hooking up like they should so we left them off. I figured someday I would be back in Missoula and I would have them take a look at it, since I now had a 4 year warranty.

And I did get back to Missoula a few weeks later and it was not by accident. I went there specifically to have this installation finished and make all of the functions on the radio work like they should. That's just me. This was the worst experience for customer service, by a major company, I have ever had. I left the store with the radio still not fully functional and I am not very pleased with the way I was treated.

They started out by saying that the installation by me was not their problem. That is after I explained how this came to be. They wanted to initially charge me for getting it right. I really wasn’t looking for a load of grief concerning this, but I was getting a little hot under the collar with what I understood to be remarks I didn’t need to hear. I was first told I didn’t have any warranty for a self install. They finally found my paperwork to support the fact that this was under warranty and proceeded to do the install.

I returned to the store to get the truck and I was told the backup camera was inop. I was told this component was not under the warranty and that the radio was the only thing covered. They didn’t have a camera to replace it with, but they were sure this was bad as they had other cameras that had failed in the past. I would have to buy a new one. No amount of conversation was going to change their minds. I said just put it back together and I was going to leave. They did and I left.

Your store manager, who apparently goes by the name, "Moose", it sure sounds that way, was not interested in fixing the problem to its completion. This whole issue started as the result of a warranty issue with a radio that failed and was not handled in a very professional manner. I have several 600 mile round trips to your store there to get this repaired and it still isn't working. As a matter of fact, the volume button on the steering wheel works just the opposite that it is supposed to...volume up goes down and volume down goes up. The backup camera does not work at all and it did when I arrived.

I have tried to call you folks several times and your website is not very forthcoming on how to get a hold of someone who can address this issue. I talked to somebody at this phone number- 1-800-433-5778 and got no place with that lady. She was over talking and didn’t want to give me any information on how I could elevate my concerns. The website stated this was the phone number to call for finding out about warranties.

I will never go back to your Missoula, Mt store again. I did call the Billings, Mt store and the guy I talked to there was helpful, but I'm 300 miles from him as well. After explaining to him my dilemma, I feel as though he would take a different approach than the folks in Missoula did. Every other contact I've tried to make has not been good. I called the Best Buy 800# and was transferred several times. Each transfer was lost and I was forced to call back. This kind of situation happened on several occasions.

At some point, a person gets very frustrated and you lose any confidence in getting to the bottom of the problem. I don't know where to go. All avenues appear to be dead ends. When I was able to talk to somebody, they said I would need to go back to the store where I purchased it from. This really isn't an option for me at this time. I'm open to your suggestions. I feel, too, that this will fall on deaf ears and nothing will ever come of this. I have a 4 year warranty and it appears to me that this really means nothing. So I use this media to appeal to somebody that may care about the image that your manager in Missoula has so recently manifested.

I sent this letter to the company on the feedback of a survey and never heard a word from them. I will gladly advertise for your company on Facebook and Yelp, but it won’t be to praise you as a company. If I treated my customers like you do, I would be out of business. You may be headed that way if things don’t change. I did go to the Billings Store on Sept 22 and the gentleman there did fix my issues at no charge as this was supposed to be under warranty. It took him 30 minutes and this entire radio works now. The steering wheel module needed to be reprogrammed and the camera wire was plugged into the wrong port from Missoula’s work. Your consideration would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have a Lenovo laptop about three years old. I was having issues with it locking up on certain applications and the screen blinking. I originally took it into Best Buy on McKnight Rd., Pittsburgh, Pa back in February 2018. They had it for three days and told me it was fixed. I got it home and still had the same issues. I waited several months because the issues were not critical to my current needs.

On September 4, 2018 I returned the laptop to the same store with the same issues. They had for three days again. I got it home and again nothing was done. I returned it around September 14, 2018 explaining to John, the lead tech, the situation. He investigated while I waited and determined nothing was done, the tech did nothing.

John explained to me that they may need to wipe the operating systems and reload it. He said they would back up my files because of their multiple errors. I said OK thinking all my files would be restored and my laptop would be fixed. John failed to explain that in wiping the system I would lose all my system programs such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint. I just learned that today.

I contacted John via telephone and explained I do not have my programs and I need/want them back. He said he explained that I would lose them. I said, "No you didn't." I would have never let them wipe my system if I knew I was going to lose all my system programs. I told John I want them reloaded even if they had to take them from store stock. John apparently talked to someone because the answer he came back with was No.

I asked John for the name and telephone number of their district manager. He refused but gave me a generic Best Buy 800 number. I am livid with the Geek Squad's lack of integrity and striving for excellent customer satisfaction and their none caring attitude towards their customers. I always trusted them in the past - never again. I am one very upset customer who will never recommend Best Buy or the Geek Squad to anyone ever again.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals