3.8/5 (1490 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: June 7, 2021

I recently bought a Lenovo laptop and it was in Microsoft S-mode. The email account linked to Microsoft was one that was no longer operable, so I couldn't do anything on the computer. I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy (where I had purchased the computer) and they said they would get it out of S-mode for me and transfer all the data from my old laptop onto the Lenovo. The day I was supposed to pick it up from them, they called and said they couldn't transfer my data because the HD on my existing computer "would not enumerate." They said (or certainly implied) that they couldn't find any data on my existing computer.

I thought they had lost everything on my existing computer. I picked up both computers, got a full refund for the work they were supposed to have completed (plus a $100 gift card because they couldn't transfer the data). They told me at that time that they should have had me turn on my existing computer when I dropped it off with the new one so they could be sure it was really working. Of course, they never did that. Anyway, as soon as I got home, I turned on the existing computer and everything was still there. I had a friend come over who has her own business doing computer repairs, etc., and with 1 1/2 hours she had everything transferred from my existing computer to the new one.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I tried to put zero stars. This company knew my computer that had a replacement policy on it broke, but told me to go buy a new one and kept (and is still) charging my credit card for the protection plan on the computer that had to be replaced because they could not fix it. I have spoken with customer service at length. I was even told that no, no one else at the company could speak with me when I asked to speak with a manager. They told me to go into the store and speak with a manager of both the store (Best Buy) and Geek Squad, even after I told them our stores are closed because there is a pandemic.

I have been a loyal customer of BestBuy and GeekSquad for years, purchasing my own products and gifts there. Once I manage to get them to stop taking money from my account each month, I will never patronize their businesses again. I will not recommend them to my worst enemy. My dealings with them have been a huge waste of time and money.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I recently purchased a new computer. They tried to charge me for a new service and upgrade in Webroot. My old service is in full effect until January 2022 and so is my Webroot, That means the company would have had my money 6 months early!!! I had asked them to transfer Webroot from my old computer to my new computer. They did NOT even install Webroot on my new computer and it can cover more than 1 device. I had left my new computer for set up, they never notified me it was ready, did not give me a briefing on any changes, additions, etc. When I went back, Tech was brief, annoyed and not interested in helping a senior citizen. I am really disappointed in Geek Squad and after 20 years a member, I will not renew my membership.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I bought a computer January of this year from Best Buy. It turned out to be a nightmare. I received an email from their Geek Squad that I missed a plan member payment of $22.99 so I made the payment. When I tried to cancel the plan I was told I would have to pay it in full. After a lot of phone calls and a visit to the store manager he told me the same thing I could not cancel. Finally I called Geek Squad again and said I am going to get help from Consumer Affairs. That is when it was cancelled. I have the person's name and ID information for my files. Geek Squad is not worth the money $359.99 a year. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Horrible service. I went to Geek Squad to fix my computer because the fans weren’t working properly so I shipped it to the repair. Turns out the service was absolutely horrible. Not only did they not fix my issue, but instead when they opened my computer they changed the battery and put one in that OBVIOUSLY didn’t fit, meaning they take 0 care of the products they are given. Due to the idiotic action of putting a bigger battery into my computer it broke other parts of the bottom of the device. Finally, I now have a computer with an inadequate and broken battery. Do not trust this company with your devices. Try and find an alternative solution!

Original review: April 30, 2021

They installed 8 cameras at my home, 3 cameras won’t record motion, I called tech that installed no call back, I have called Best-Buy twice to return only run around here, I paid $1200.00 for cameras including install I asked when I bought cameras $699.00 to install is this total charge. I was told yes, when tech installed charged me $93.00 more for three extra cables to hook up cameras, I felt like I bought a used car at a car lot was sold a lemon, lots of up sale here.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I used Geek Squad's virtual support service to try and connect two computers' files over my home network. I was getting an error on one computer and I couldn't figure it out myself. I tried having Geek Squad fix it, but four wasted hours later and three virtual sessions, they can't fix it either. I asked them for my money back since they couldn't fix it and they claim to offer a "30 day workmanship guarantee" which is obviously false, and they won't give me a refund for the amount I paid either. What a scam! Do NOT use Geek Squad services. They will steal your money and waste more of your time trying to get your money back.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Geek Squad has gone down the drain! They are using 3rd party people that are unprofessional and usually can't get it done. Called them 3 times and now nearly a year later still not fixed. I am a total tech customer and a Best Buy Elite customer. Best Buy and Geek Squad are nothing of what they used to be. Now a big mess filled with young kids working there. No one knows anything, the stores are a mess. Hopeless to expect they can fix things at this point. The quality of these subs and the store personnel is just not good. I am not renewing any of these extended services and shopping elsewhere when possible. A huge void for in home service is opening as they keep dropping the ball!

Original review: March 27, 2021

Got the insurance plan at the time I bought my phone, sounded like something I had to have. No 2 months later and my brand new iPhone 11s camera and flashlight just stopped working. But no worries I’ve got insurance. Hahaha so basically your 2 options are send your phone out for repairs and do without a phone, or you can give 1,000$ deposit and they’ll send a replacement. And after reluctantly agreeing they do more paperwork and at the end ask for more credit card info in case there’s charges?? What? Isn’t that what the monthly payments cover?

So I was arguing and the agent I guess had enough and just hung up. Lol all around a joke, worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Cancelled my plan because It didn’t do anything anyways. If anyone is looking into this, look the other way. I usually buy my phone at Walmart during holidays to get gift certificates but this time I went to Best Buy instead, needless to say it will be the last time I visit any of these brutal places.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I have scheduled multiple appointments with this company for in-home repairs. They have continually come, wasted my time by not fixing the issue, and telling me they will reschedule it for a later date. They never reschedule. If you have the opportunity to get someone else I highly recommend going with anyone over this company. I honestly would rather do it myself than waste an hour of my time watching these fools try and fix something that they are too incompetent to do even though they're supposedly paid professionals. Joke of a company.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team