3.7/5 (1491 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: July 28, 2021

Purchased an OLED TV from someone through Facebook around May 21' who originally purchased it from Best Buy in Nov 2020. Also purchased from him the Geek Squad plan after confirming with best buy that it was transferable. Geek Squad sent an email 2 days later confirming me as the current owner of the plan. Few months down the road I noticed the black color was distorted and checked with Geek Squad to which they said they will repair it not replace. Not liking the idea of repair I decided to get a new one from another brand and asked them to cancel the protection plan to which they said they'll issue a refund of 173.06.

Since the plan was transferred to me (being the current owner of the protection plan) they said they'll have to issue a check (instead to original payment/owner) and would take a bit longer to which I was totally fine. A month later not receiving anything yet I checked back with them and they said they sent to the original owner. We went back and forth & they confirmed that their notes says to be a refund check but the system accidentally issued to the original owner.

After apologizing their mistake they transferred me to the supervisor to find a solution. Instead of finding a solution she clearly said they can't do anything as they issued to the wrong owner and just didn't care at all. I cannot say that enough. She had no empathy or understanding. She sounded like do whatever you want and gave me her employee id and name. I am happy to give those details if needed.

And honestly it's not just about 173 bucks but more about the cheap way best buy has treated a customer. Either they should've been clear in the first place that a check cannot be processed. And secondly, should not have allowed to transfer the ownership in this case. Very disappointed with their behavior. Tried to speak with chat rep and they spoke the same tone. Tried calling them again and the guy "Luis" put me on a 45 min hold and disconnected. Not sure what to do at this point and writing this review here.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Zero stars isn't low enough to express my disgust right now for the Best Buy Geek Squad located in long island NY. Punctuality means nothing to them. You get text messages and emails for days saying they will deliver your item between a specific time and date. But they show up a whole two hours early. Of course I'm away because I'm not expecting them early and they leave. Now I have to wait four days for a redelivery. You guys messed up bad.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Took me forever to schedule an appt to install a TV. Waited on hold, the guy could not figure out how to charge the card so the call took an hour, had to wait two weeks for an appt, and then they showed up at 2PM for the 9-1 appt. No call, nothing but a text at 1230 saying the guy will be here at 1:55. Wasted an entire day and I'm a no show for a celebration of life because of this. Really messed up organization. I tried to review and was told that they are not accepting reviews any longer. There is a surprise.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Fraudulent Charges of $104.99 by Geek Squad. Geek Squad employee has been upset at me because I gave a negative feedback on Gas Dryer Installer. This Geek Squad employee is making fraudulent charges against my credit card by purchasing 3 year protection plan for $104.99. First was made on Jul 3rd 2021 from BestBuy Store # 2663 in Richfield, MN. I got it refunded by calling the BestBuy online service. Now I see the charge for the same amount again made on Jul 8th from BestBuy Store # 1324, Joplin, MO. I will have to write this on media outlets and take legal action.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Purchased a television from Best Buy in March 2021, stopped working in July 2021. Scheduled a home repair appt for July 2. Two hours before the end of the 7 hour window I was texted that the appt would have to be rescheduled to JULY 15. They refused to make the appt any earlier even though I had been bumped. I will never purchase another product from Best Buy and I am returning the remote that I recently purchased. What truly horrible customer service, and if I could award zero stars I would. Buy your electronics elsewhere.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I decided to give Geek Squad another chance after they denied damaging my son’s computer in 2017. I called the National customer service number to get a price and figure out how to schedule an appointment because the site was hard to navigate. I was quoted $59.99 for a battery replacement in a 2015 MacBook Pro (price seemed off but OK). Booked my appointment for a week later.

Day of the appointment…they call 20 minutes before my appointment time to tell me they won’t do it without an active AppleCare subscription. No apology, blamed the rep I talked to for giving me bad info (never mind you can’t call the store directly anymore to get good information). They offered me zero alternatives. Just “too bad, so sad, not our fault.” They knew FOR A WEEK about this appointment and chose to call me when it was very likely I’d be on my way to the location. Zero consideration for the customer. They had a chance to redeem themselves from my bad experience in 2017 and they completely blew it. I wish I could choose zero stars.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I bought a Razer stealth 13 August 2020 with a warranty for 2 years at this store. However started having screen flickering and black screen when the laptop screen was being moved or in general after use for a few months (I’m very busy haven’t had time to set this schedule yet). I updated all my drivers as recommended by razer to no avail. Booked a Geek squad appt on June 30 2021 at this store. I wasn’t able to duplicate the problem on the spot since I didn’t use my laptop and it was still pretty cool in terms of temperature. And I believe based on razer and tech forums, the problem is with the screen cables too close to heat sink.

Of note this is a quote from a YouTube user regarding This issue: “This is a project problem. They pass the screen flat cable over the GPU and CPU heat sink to connect it to the other side of the board. The flat cable is sensible and the heat sink heating during use makes the flat fail. Sometimes it produces only a flicker or screen stripes, but in worst cases, it can produce short. You can search for a disassembly video that shows clearly the flat cable over the heat sink.”

When they gave me the paperwork, I noticed my client description of the issue was just “having issue with screen whenever screen moved black screen appear” and I wanted to ADDEND it: however according to the staff the… “The Client description box has a character limit” so they couldn’t even addend it. I’m very busy. I’m hoping I’m wrong as the geek squad imo has a very good reputation…but I feel my laptop won’t get properly fixed due to inadequate presentation of my problem.

Will write a review follow up once I get my laptop back. I hope I’m wrong and my laptop gets fixed. If I’m right, I hope I can warn others to review whatever your geek squad staff is typing at that moment before they can finalize the report and thus delaying the repair of your product since they “couldn’t change it anymore” after the inquiry has been sent and I needed to set up everything appt etc again which will take a few days… Not possible because of how busy I am… Vincent

Original review: June 28, 2021

I took a geek squad coverage from Geek Squad for my refrigerator paying 148 dollars when I bought it from BestBuy. Within less than 2 years of use the fridge compressor gave up. I have been chasing the geek squad "awesome service" for last 1 month without any respite. This is a SCAM. Never ever take any coverage from them. Completely useless!!!

Original review: June 23, 2021

I dropped off my Asus laptop on 05/04/21 to be shipped to Geek Squad's service center. After about a week, I finally received an estimate. I was told it would cost me $566 to replace the motherboard & processor (which was expected, I had an idea of what was wrong and I know neither of those items are cheap). My laptop, brand new, had been priced at $850. I called and approved the price so they could go ahead and repair it. I waited around for another two weeks and it still was not repaired, and I received an email saying I had another estimate that needed to be approved. Contrary to what they led me to believe, my computer still had not been worked on.

I called them, and they told me the same thing as the first estimate (the processor and entire motherboard needed to be replaced), and gave me a much higher price of $969. I know replacing the motherboard is a pain, but if they didn't want to work on it, they could have told me at the beginning instead of making me wait an entire month. They raised the price $400 hoping I would decline it so they wouldn't have to fix it. If I had known that with the first estimate, I would have had them send it back and I would've bought another laptop by now. They ripped me off and made me wait around, wasted my time and changed the price simply because they did not want to spend the time repairing it.

I don't recommend these guys at all, they aren't the same as they used to be. I called them and got a price after it was diagnosed, I approved it, waited 2-3 weeks, only for them to raise the price by $400 afterwards because they did not want to repair it. What a waste. Brand new motherboards cost around $200-$300, and my laptop itself had costed $850.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I have a Samsung Refrigerator with a ice maker that freezes over every 3-4 weeks and requires hands on maintenance to remove frozen ice blocking the dispensing mechanism. Set an appointment with Geek Squad with a minimum window of 8am-5pm. I waited all day, they called to confirm the day before and then emailed to cancel after 1pm on appointment day which I learned of after 5 when I called for an update. AIG coordinates their repairs and had no idea what happened. Set another appointment for 8am-5pm, had 2 confirmation emails and no call to confirm as stated in the email so I tried reaching out the day before.

On hold for 30 min so I called back in the morning took an hour to finally get to the person who could tell me at 10:30am that the 8am-5pm appointment was canceled. Oh the service provider doesn't serve your area, The Geek Squad rep believes it's not their fault the service provider doesn't work my area even though they are responsible for coordinating repairs so I'll just have to set another appointment for 10 days later and set another 8-5 window with a new service provider. What are the odds they will show? This is a total service failure, what is the value of a warranty when you need to use it. So far it will be three 8am-5pm days that I've wasted.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

Geek Squad Company Information