Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I wanted to get a new backup camera installed on my car. However, when I originally tried to call Pep Boys it was outside their range of maintenance. I was very displeased but after looking at Amazon I was recommended to try the Geek Squad. I talked to Joseph and he told me to come in store so they could install it there. It only took 3 minutes and I am very pleased with the help I was given. 5 stars. AMAZING customer service.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I just had to take a few minutes to acknowledge the excellent service I received from Geek Squad. Two of your service reps bent over backwards to accommodate me. Their names are Pete (the tech.) and a young lady named Jordan.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I received excellent customer service from Geek Squad. I was having trouble getting my iPhone to connect to my PC for picture download. They gave me several tips and then offered for me to bring my equipment in, so that they could troubleshoot the problems I was having. I appreciate the Geek Squad in Garland Texas so much. Everyone was kind and wonderful and it was an extremely busy day.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I bought the best Sony TV that Best Buy had and paid extra for the total 5 year Parts and Labor Warranty- highly recommended by Jeff, the Geek Squad Rep, who installed everything and did a great job. Now- my 4 day reservation for Repair has been canceled- Subcontractor AIG can't be here until Friday. And he admitted he will not have the parts. I PAID for a Geek Squad Warranty and want the Geek Squad truck with Trained personnel and all the repair parts. Or I want a new TV- which is what I was told would happen 3 years ago. I spent 3 hours on the phone and computer today. I talked to Alan and Debra at GEEK Squad and they transferred me to the subcontractor- AIG- where I spent 45 minutes with Richard and on hold.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

My D drive failed after a recent major Windows upgrade. The C drive is system - solid state. The D drive showed unallocated, and it wouldn't come back. So, off to Geek Squad. They charged $200 to get an account (including security software I didn't want), and scheduled me to bring my desktop into a Best Buy, after a techie wasn't able to fix this via remote access. They would push the system to a previous checkpoint, and get the D drive back that way. BTW, I have system backup on a WD drive - external.. So, 2 days later I bring it into Best Buy. They said it would be 5-7 days. It actually took about 10 days; they apparently have techies out due to COVID. Irrespective, their stupid automated phone system never stopped telling me "an agent will be assigned soon".

I finally got note that it was ready, and I had to schedule time to pick it up - 4 more days!! When I showed up, the D drive was in a bag. To fix this, they would have to send it out to a 3rd party. Might take a month. Not covered. Probably up to $1000. I will never trust these guys again. They could have told me during those 2+ weeks that they can't fix this, but they didn't. What I ended up doing is spending $60 on a new SATA hard drive, installing it, and restoring from my WD backup. What a waste of time and money.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

What Geek Squad really is, a disorganized group of underpaid foreign offshore techies. They disconnected me 3 times, got shunted to 6 departments when I asked for a refund. Even when they tried to call me once, their phone system did not work and I could hear them but they could not hear me. The reason for all the calls was that I tried to get a refund for a 39.99 charge for a tuneup that did not resolve the problem. Took it to Boxaid and it was fixed in minutes and Boxaid said they did not nothing. What you get when you don't pay people is people who are better than nothing but not good enough. I spent about 1.5 hours to get a 39.99 refund! And I am still waiting.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

No callback as promised with update on repair. Unable to contact them. Not helpful or friendly at all, no one is able to help on phone. During Covid they say they can only help if come to store. Lack of customer service. They give you a phone number with recorded answer.. "Go to store."

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I had a TV & Exercise Bike delivered and installed in October, 2020. The workers dispatched on the job were not actually from Geek Squad but from a contracted third party called "Installs Inc." There were two workers - both with masks either under their nose or around their chins. One of the two workers was visibly sick - coughing and having difficulty breathing. He blamed his breathing problems on the mask and said if I was concerned to reschedule. Neither were wearing gloves, even though Best Buy's emails reported that gloves were standard for their dispatch employees. I was anxious for them to do the job quickly and leave, receiving no orientation on the new items they installed.

I called Best Buy Geek Squad to report the issue - Case #** and was told Tamaris would return my call. A week later I called for the status on my case and was told there was no update. Two weeks later I called again and the case # had disappeared. To add insult to injury, the pedal on the bicycle was not put on properly and is now falling off. I've tried several times to call about this and so far no one from Best Buy Geek Squad is willing to fix the pedal.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

On October 12, 2020, I contacted Geek Squad because my 50" LG Smart TV, which is still under warranty, would not power on. The LG logo would flash for a split second and then disappear. Geek Squad then set up an appointment for October 16. Geek Squad did not inform me that they would outsource the repair of TV to a third party. The third-party company does not honor the appointments set by Geek Squad. They called me on October 15 and diagnosed the problem over the phone and determined that they needed to replace the motherboard. They needed me to give them the model and serial number of the TV in order to order the part, but I was not able to retrieve that information for them at that time and they are not open on weekends. I called them back on October 19th and gave them the information at which time they told me that they could not give me an appointment before November 11th because they didn't have the part.

I went ahead and purchased the part on my own and had it delivered on October 28. I called the third-company back and asked if they could send someone to install the part, but insisted they couldn't come before 11/11. I was then resolved to replace the motherboard myself as I had done so on an older Vizio TV. However when I researched the process on YouTube, I discovered that the problem was not the motherboard, but a burnt out LED light. When I called Geek Squad and told them this, they assured me that the company they outsource to was competent and that if they said it was the motherboard, it must be the motherboard. Reminder; the third-party company diagnosed the problem over the phone. So November 11th comes, the third-party company shows up, replaces the motherboard, and the TV doesn't work. The repair person informed me that the company would have to review my warranty and see what to do next.

Infuriated, my wife and I called Geek Squad and assured us that an actual Geek Squad rep would come to our house on November 16 to fix the TV. November 16 comes and no one shows up. When we called Geek Squad they said that the third-party company was supposed to come. We insisted on speaking to a manager. Someone else got on the phone and spoke to us but we later discovered that she was not a manager. We were told a manager would call us back. It is now November 17 and we haven't heard from Geek Squad or the third-party company. Best Buy will never receive any business from me again. I even cancelled my order for the new iPhone through them and got it from Target instead because I no longer wish to even step foot in one their stores.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Paying 14.99 per month to supposedly protect your phone sounds like a reasonable idea until you realize what you get, which amounts to sweet &* all. The so called warranty protection means you have to call the Geek Squad - no, the Geek Squad signs you see in the Best Buy stores are NOT there to help with your cellphone warranty in any way, shape or form - and then, after waiting and being disconnected several times, you have the honour of being told your method of phone damage requires you to pay for a new phone, which will then be shipped to you and charged to you, and you can then ship your broken phone back and supposedly be refunded part of the cost. What an absolute joke. Useless and time consuming and a complete misrepresentation about what you are buying. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team