3.8/5 (1490 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: May 9, 2021

Horrible service. I went to Geek Squad to fix my computer because the fans weren’t working properly so I shipped it to the repair. Turns out the service was absolutely horrible. Not only did they not fix my issue, but instead when they opened my computer they changed the battery and put one in that OBVIOUSLY didn’t fit, meaning they take 0 care of the products they are given. Due to the idiotic action of putting a bigger battery into my computer it broke other parts of the bottom of the device. Finally, I now have a computer with an inadequate and broken battery. Do not trust this company with your devices. Try and find an alternative solution!

Original review: April 30, 2021

They installed 8 cameras at my home, 3 cameras won’t record motion, I called tech that installed no call back, I have called Best-Buy twice to return only run around here, I paid $1200.00 for cameras including install I asked when I bought cameras $699.00 to install is this total charge. I was told yes, when tech installed charged me $93.00 more for three extra cables to hook up cameras, I felt like I bought a used car at a car lot was sold a lemon, lots of up sale here.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I used Geek Squad's virtual support service to try and connect two computers' files over my home network. I was getting an error on one computer and I couldn't figure it out myself. I tried having Geek Squad fix it, but four wasted hours later and three virtual sessions, they can't fix it either. I asked them for my money back since they couldn't fix it and they claim to offer a "30 day workmanship guarantee" which is obviously false, and they won't give me a refund for the amount I paid either. What a scam! Do NOT use Geek Squad services. They will steal your money and waste more of your time trying to get your money back.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Geek Squad has gone down the drain! They are using 3rd party people that are unprofessional and usually can't get it done. Called them 3 times and now nearly a year later still not fixed. I am a total tech customer and a Best Buy Elite customer. Best Buy and Geek Squad are nothing of what they used to be. Now a big mess filled with young kids working there. No one knows anything, the stores are a mess. Hopeless to expect they can fix things at this point. The quality of these subs and the store personnel is just not good. I am not renewing any of these extended services and shopping elsewhere when possible. A huge void for in home service is opening as they keep dropping the ball!

Original review: March 27, 2021

Got the insurance plan at the time I bought my phone, sounded like something I had to have. No 2 months later and my brand new iPhone 11s camera and flashlight just stopped working. But no worries I’ve got insurance. Hahaha so basically your 2 options are send your phone out for repairs and do without a phone, or you can give 1,000$ deposit and they’ll send a replacement. And after reluctantly agreeing they do more paperwork and at the end ask for more credit card info in case there’s charges?? What? Isn’t that what the monthly payments cover?

So I was arguing and the agent I guess had enough and just hung up. Lol all around a joke, worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Cancelled my plan because It didn’t do anything anyways. If anyone is looking into this, look the other way. I usually buy my phone at Walmart during holidays to get gift certificates but this time I went to Best Buy instead, needless to say it will be the last time I visit any of these brutal places.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I have scheduled multiple appointments with this company for in-home repairs. They have continually come, wasted my time by not fixing the issue, and telling me they will reschedule it for a later date. They never reschedule. If you have the opportunity to get someone else I highly recommend going with anyone over this company. I honestly would rather do it myself than waste an hour of my time watching these fools try and fix something that they are too incompetent to do even though they're supposedly paid professionals. Joke of a company.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I was unable to get Dell to finish a warranty claim and I ended up calling number locally that said Dell Support. When I called I was connected to Geek Squad and I was scammed for over $1,500 when I allowed Geek Squad remote access to my computers and they used three of my credit cards to enter fraudulent charges and create an account with Best Buy for more phony charges by setting up a customer account at Best Buy without my knowledge or consent. When I realized what was going on, I shut down the remote access but it was too late. I had to pay the phony charges to get Amazon paid and that resulted in my Amazon account being locked since January 20 and it is still locked as of this date due to Amazon's "investigation" of my fraudulent claims. Anyone who uses Geek Squad needs to know just how slimy this outfit really is. Best Buy should be ashamed for being associated with these thieves.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Lack of skill and knowledge. Time wasting. Could not help with simple phone wifi hook up. The call took 2 hours and the tech repeated over and over the method I have used to connect to the wifi.. Could not understand the English.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

My terrible experience with Geek Squad started November 2020, after purchasing a NordicTrack S15i exercise bike, when the delivery was cancelled twice by Geek Squad because: 1) No product in inventory, and about 10 days later 2) No service personnel available to deliver and install it. Once the delivery date arrived, it turned out that the two Geek Squad service people were sub-contractors who, apparently had not installed a NordicTrack S15i before. For a month or so of using the bike, I would not get any results from my efforts (RPM's, miles biked, time, etc.), so I called NordicTrack, and they got me in touch with a certified service company. When their qualified technician came out, he found that the electronics required to provide all these results were damaged.

The two wire harnesses with the connectors to the console had bent pins, thus no results were even possible. It was obvious that the two sub-contracted service people literally slammed the bike together, including not installing 4 screws to steady the bike. And they never tested the bike upon completion. The certified technician ordered all new parts to replace the damaged and missing parts and will be installing them shortly. I directly blame Geek Squad for this totally unacceptable installation. If Geek Squad elects to use sub-contractors and not their own employees, then these people must be trained, so they know what they are doing, especially when installing most of today's equipment which is totally based upon electronics. I will never use Geek Squad again for the installation of anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I purchased a Whirlpool dryer and front loading washer with Geek Squad protection plan for 3 years. My washing machine has had 2 repairs within 2 years. This time the service repair man came out very quickly and sent a repair report to the geek squad. I was informed by the geek squad that it will take 30 days to wait for the part with no eta on the part. When I requested to speak to a manager, the person I was talking to became very rude, told me there was nothing I could do and hung up on me without giving the information to get in touch to a manager. I would not recommend using the geek Squad for service of any equipment.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team