Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.96/5
Based on 1,145 ratings submitted in the last year

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I just had to take a few minutes to acknowledge the excellent service I received from Geek Squad. Two of your service reps bent over backwards to accommodate me. Their names are Pete (the tech.) and a young lady named Jordan.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I received excellent customer service from Geek Squad. I was having trouble getting my iPhone to connect to my PC for picture download. They gave me several tips and then offered for me to bring my equipment in, so that they could troubleshoot the problems I was having. I appreciate the Geek Squad in Garland Texas so much. Everyone was kind and wonderful and it was an extremely busy day.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Sony 4K TV which came with a soundbar approx 2 years ago. The soundbar worked for approx 6 months, and then stopped working and we recently contacted Geek Squad (who initially installed it) in an attempt to rectify the situation. We started by calling 1-800-433-5778 which was a joke - passed from person to person and after 10 minutes on hold, line went dead. We tried to call the (Burlington, Ontario) store but we couldn't get anyone to pick up in 3 separate attempts. Finally, we drove to store and Geek Squad Rep was easy to deal with and booked us a next day appointment for a home visit.

Jason and Andrew showed up on time, were efficient, professional and had the problem corrected within 30 minutes or so - I particularly appreciated their patience and understanding as they took the time to answer any questions I had. Jason and Andrew are GREAT representatives for the Company and I really hope Best Buy can do something tangible and meaningful for them in the way of recognition. Simply put, they are the reason I will most certainly call Geek Squad next time I require audio/visual/computer assistance.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I took my computer that was knock out due to a lightning strike and to see if it could be fixed but it was fried. What the Geek Squad did do for me is load all my old stuff from my fried computer into a new one I bought there for a good deal I might add. And only charged me $80.00. So with the headache I was looking at without all my info and they got it done in only 2 day. Very impressed. Thank you Geek Squad in Farragut TN for a job well done.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Do not join Geek Squad tech support services. They will renew your membership without your authorization! They take money out of your bank account without authorization and when you try to call them they put you on hold for hours and no one knows what they are doing when you speak to them. Plus everyone you speak with sounds like they are from overseas. You are not getting help from the United states. They will lie to you and say they sent e-mails to confirm a renewal and when you check there are no e-mails from them. Very fraudulent company. No customer service with no concern for the customer. Honestly feels like spammers. Best Buy should be ashamed Never again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Beyond frustrated and disappointed with Best Buy Geek Squad Customer Service, Customer Resolution Center and Local White Marsh Best Store. I reported a repair on my my Samsung Hub 2.0 refrigerator to GS over a month ago because I purchased additional warranty for the peace of mind on this expensive purchase. This refrigerator is only 3 years old and I noticed an issue with my ice maker producing less ice and my freezer having frost sheet in the bottom freezer.

I reported the issue to GS and they scheduled a third party service provider to come and troubleshoot the issue. Third party servicer came and advised that need to order additional parts and when parts get delivered, I have to have GS schedule a second service call to install the parts. Same service provider came and installed the parts but original issue became worse where my ice maker completely stopped making any ice and water is dripping inside the refrigerator and my bottom freezer stopped working totally.

Reported the issue to GS again and requested them not to assign my repair to previous service installer but to send some other service provider as previous service provider made my refrigerator issues worse. They scheduled an appointment with a different service provider to come take a look at the refrigerator and that service provider didn't even do anything but just came and cleaned the coils in the back and asked me to shut down the refrigerator for 24 hours and that should SOLVE all of my issues and by turning off the refrigerator for 24 hours, any food inside the refrigerator will not go bad as long as refrigerator stays closed. Of course, that wasn't true and when I turned my refrigerator back up on and opened the door, EVERYTHING inside went bad. Not only that but since then my bottom dip pan is leaking water on the floors.

Reported everything again to Best Buy resolution customer service and they scheduled another service provider who was scheduled to come yesterday (Aug 6th) but never showed up. I went to local best buy store near me to report this and general manager and appliance manager said that I have to call the customer service again and ask them to open an exchange PO first but until that is done, they wouldn't be able to do anything further to help.

I have been on calls with GS customer service customer resolution center asking them that this is going on for so long and I refuse to wait any longer and asked them to issue an exchange PO for the refrigerator as it is at a point where it's damaging my personal property (floors) but none of agents seemed to care and when I finally after being on calls for 2 hours, I got a hold of a supervisor (Kelsey) and explained the issue to her and asked for a exchange, she said nowhere in my service calls to best buy it lists that I ever raised any freezer issue, so she is not going to issue a replacement but schedule another service call which can be for another week or weeks and there is nothing else she can do about it.

I said, "How is it my fault if your customer service reps are not capable to do their job and write the accurate notes?" Of course, without assisting, she hung up the phone on me. I will be raising this to businesses bureau and every other forum and social media I can get my hands on because this is not not acceptable. Today they lost me forever as a customer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

My cellphone was stolen, I file a claim and everything was a very good service until I received my new phone. The Security seal on the box was cut off, and the phone is the same but duty and used, the screen is cracked, I couldn’t help looking at everything twice, and also found out the the number on the box is not the same on the cell. I’m very disappointed! Of the company!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have used Geek Squad for years. The service gets worse each year so this will be the last year I had them do a tune up on the pc and told them I could not turn of the monitor. It says the power button is locked so over 11 hours later they work on the pc but do not call or leave a message as how to fix the power button being locked and god forbid that you can talk to someone and if you call the store of course they can not help as they are not who helped you it being with I am legally blind and do not drive and all I get is take it to the store.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have a laptop which I bought an antivirus from Geek Squad a year ago. What happened, I had files on the notes of my laptop (stopped working) which I failed to save them early. I went there and asked them if They can help me out to recover my files by any way whatsoever. They weren’t able to recover my files, which I was cool with. Then I was asked to pay 52 dollars for the service that they claim “we updated your laptop”. My laptop is HP and it can be updated automatically whenever you shut it down after it stopped working by pressing the on/off button for over 15 seconds. Then I felt like they were trying to rip me off.

At last the worst thing happened instead of apologizing. The lady said “we don’t wanna see you here anymore.“ I am only one week away from buying my yearly antivirus which I bought it from the same location. What makes me to say this before 4 months I came to the same location with the same problem, but then there was a nice guy who knows customer value correctly (I forgot his name but he is short in appearance) and instructed me it’s only one click away to update it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 at Best Buy in Feb 2019 (it's now July 2020). It was NOT a cheap computer. I paid for the 1 year Geek Squad support. 17 months later, my computer was unable to charge (I had tried a new power cord). It seemed to be a battery issue. I made an appointment w/ Geek Squad. I was aware my warranty and service period was up. I was more than willing to pay whatever required, as I rely heavily on this laptop. They would not even LOOK at it. I was told they don't FIX the battery in this make/model of computer. Since when does Best Buy sell computers that even they cannot service?

Fortunately, I called Microsoft (I could not take it to the local Microsoft store - it is closed due to Covid 19). I really just called to express my disgust that I had a fairly new computer that was now unable to boot up, and was apparently unrepairable.... The technician was able to talk me through a procedure which TOTALLY FIXED my Surface laptop. In a 1 hour phone call, accompanied by an email with detailed instructions - I was delighted to find my computer totally restored, no data lost. EASY. Turns out the battery DRIVER was corrupt or missing. She was able to send me a file that repaired the issue.

My point for this review is: HOW COULD GEEK SQUAD NOT KNOW THAT THIS ISSUE WAS TOTALLY FIXABLE. What kind of "geeks" are they, that would not suspect a driver issue? I would have paid a lot of money for THEM to have handled it, I ended up fixing it myself, for free. I don't believe the staff at geek squad is competent or trained properly on issues requiring even the slightest bit of investigation. I'm totally disgusted with them. Their response to my problem was blatantly incompetent,

I've bought 3 computers from them and lots of other things in the past 11 years. Never again. I'm hoping someone in their organization reads this and acknowledges that refusing to look at my laptop was bad protocol. It makes me wonder why I paid for 1 year of tech support - if they don't even service the Microsoft Surface? What kind of tech support do they even provide? I am no longer a Best Buy shopper.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team