1.12/5

Looking for a tech support service?

1256 Geek Squad Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 10, 2019

I'm having an error on my computer's start up. After two hours of watching a tech try to remove the temporary file causing the issue via remote access. And with no success after multiple restarts (error persisting on every restart). Then the tech goes into services under msconfig and disables ALL non-Microsoft services (over 30 of them... with the exception of the GeekSquad "LogmeIn Rescue" service which allows the tech to chat with me). The tech then restarts the PC one last time and tells me he's done with all 30+ services still disabled, what a farce...

Original review: May 8, 2019

I would not recommend paying for a warranty through Geek Squad for a washing machine. I called Geek Squad on 5/7/19 to have a technician come out because my 1 year old Samsung Washing Machine stopped operating and won't drain water. Geek Squad advised their first available appointment is 5/9 and they have availability on 5/10. I set up an appointment for 5/10 from 12-4 PM, mind you they only offer a 4 hour window for the technician to come out. I then get a call on the next day 5/8 from one of their vendors, AIG. AIG states they have no availability until 5/15 (over a week from when I originally called). They stated that Geek Squad did not check with them first to confirm their availability.

When I called Geek Squad back to let them know there is miscommunication going on between them and their vendor, they transferred my call around without advising me or the next agent on what is going on. I had to repeat myself several times. Secondly, when I get to a Supervisor his response is I will leave a note of your call. They showed no concern in trying to take action that their vendor meet some type of decent service level agreement. They showed no concern in trying to bridge the gap of miscommunication between scheduling appointments. Their quality assurance in handling the call was very poor.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was given an appointment to calibrate our new TV, of May 1 with a window of 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. I called around noon as I hadn't heard from anyone. Agent said she would email the technician. At 1:30 I called back, still not having heard anything. Now I am being told the appointment was cancelled by a Geek Squad person an hour ago and NO ONE CALLED ME!!! Now I wait for someone to call me to give me my options. I have paid for this service, waited in basically all day and no one had the courtesy to tell me the appointment was cancelled and why. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Caleb at the Geek Squad chat kept me waiting 50 minutes after initiating contact, to check on whether my Dell laptop battery was covered by Geek Squad or my Best Buy warranty (which it ought to be) and after receiving all my info, like phone number, type of laptop, date of purchase, date of Geek Squad renewal, finally said go to Best Buy and stopped the chat. The whole point of using the online service is so one doesn't have to cross the entire island of Oahu pointlessly. This was a wasted 50 minutes and I couldn't get the simplest info from Caleb.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought HP Laptop on 21st March Best Buy, took Protection Plan as the Sales agent told me I would be covered for any type of damages. He never informed me that if I want to cancel this plan, I would be charged for "Cancellation fees" which is a MISINFORMATION. Now I am in the process of taking Home Insurance from IA which covers all my belongings against any damage... Why should I pay extra protection when I am already protected of all things in my Home as well as Car... which I explained to Geek Squad Customer Support executive and their supervisor Frank: Employee ID : **. He just told me, that I need to go back all the way to Best Buy in order to cancel that plan if I don't want the cancellation fees to be applied.

Supervisor didn't even tried to give any solution... This is ridiculous Customer service. They just want to put their customers in trouble only so that customers wouldn't cancel the plan and give their money in their pocket. I am looking the way to take legal action against Geek Squad and Best Buy. They badly need legal lesson. Prabhjot **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: April 26, 2019

Anti Apple Brand! Just would give everyone heads up about their service for Apple products! I bought Apple iPhone 6 from Best Buy with this company's Warranty. They fixed my broken screen phone after a year (It took 15 days to repair and costs around 100-150 CAD). When I went to Apple store to check my phone's battery, They avoid to fix my phone because of FAKE screen and body that Geek Guys put on my phone! I couldn't sell the phone and even exchange with Apple as they did not consider my phone as an Apple product anymore. Can you understand the feeling of a young guy who is under the plan of phone but can't use it anymore! If you look at the back of your phone after repair, You are not going to see any code anymore. I called them and asked for help but they said it's Apple's problem not them. But who's lost?? Innocent customer who fooled by GOD of Advertisements. My phone was freezing every 5 minutes so I throw it away.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Summary: Geek Squad service is the worst! Not just slow, arrogant, spend lost of time talking shop and personal life to each other, all while they are uninterested in customer service. Worst of all, they make it incredible difficult to get service from them, and even more difficult to cancel the protection plans. This is extremely abusive to customers and in my view the single worst contract service I've ever paid for. I will never get another plan from Best Buy.

Background and reason: I purchased two Samsung S7 phones in 2015 through Best Buy (Telus). I purchased the Geek Squad protection plan. That was the worst decision for service I have ever made. On three occasions I went in to the Best Buy Kanata Centrum location 745 Kanata Ave to have the screen cover replaced as part of the service offering. Geek Squad tech had me wait 15 min before speaking to me. After my request, they said they needed the receipt. I asked if they could do it with the phone number. He said no. I went to customer service to print the original receipt copy. Brought it to Geek Squad and they replaced it in about 20 min, however they were not busy and were just talking amongst themselves. Right then I asked about cancelling the plan, they said I had to call the 1-800 number or do it online (btw: Online it says you can go into a store to do it).

The next time I went to have the screen replaced a year or more later, no one from Geek Squad was available for 30 min. I asked a Best Buy employee that asked another employee if they could inquire... When someone arrived from Geek Squad he said he had a number of customers ahead of me and told me it would take a while (I was confused, it didn't look that busy, but ok). I asked if I should come back later, and he said yes, and I asked when? He said, "It's hard to say." WTF!

I went back yesterday more than a year later (24 April - 2019) to try and get a new protection screen cover. I waited patiently as the tech in the back was out of sight from the open window, so I peeked around the corner and asked if she was open for service as I sat there. She said yes but seemed annoyed. Then she turned around with her back facing me, doing something for 10 minutes. I finally spoke up and asked her if she was going to provide some service or help for me. She looked confused and said "Yes, someone will be coming." LOOOOL - what do you mean. I thought to myself. I thanked her and said, "I've would have liked to have known that 10 min ago too. I think I will just go."

To note, I had since replaced the both of the phones with newer phones but wanted get a new screen cover before I canceled the protection plan contract of $30/month for the both phones and to prepare the older S7 phone to give away. When I called the 1-800-433-5778 (Geek Squad) when they answered she said they had no record of my protection plan or phone or information and couldn't help me (for services like cancelling my plan 30$/month (total of $1078).

I had a heated conversation with the representative stating that they knew my name address and credit card information because I was billed a total of $1078+ dollars, She finally said she could cancel one of the phones only. I called this morning and waited 30 minutes on hold at 7:00 am and finally spoke to another rep that said she needed the IMEI in order to cancel the phone even though she found my email and address information (credit card) I gave her the IMEI (*#06#) and she said it was canceled, but she said she could not cancel the other phone without the IMEI number. I asked what if it doesn't work or was stolen. She said I had to go into a store and have the receipt printed... and then given it to them. She said the one protection plan was cancelled.

However, I did not receive any email confirmation - why not? Since the other phone was with my son 45 min away. I called again. Got another rep and said the other phone will not turn on (with my son in University) and he said he could cancel it without the IMEI. The gentleman cancelled it. Again, no email confirmation.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have been having a problem with my TV since 2016! Geek Squad is the absolute worst. They never call back when they say they will. I've gotten to the point where I've had to call the insurance company and bypass Geek Squad all together. Still waiting as Assurant is not that much better so far. But we'll see in the coming days what they are finally going to do about it. 3rd tech this month. Let's see if this one has a brain.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I bought a 3 year Geek Squad plan on the new computer I bought almost 3 years ago. Well I just tried to change my email address on my Geek Squad online account and was unsuccessful. So I called the Geek Squad 3 different times to get tech help and 3 different times I got tech support outside of the country. I asked every one of them to transfer me to the U.S. but none of them would. When I first started the extended warranty program I would call up for help and get a nice friendly American voice that I could actually understand. Now every time you call for tech help that you paid for you get a foreign country. Don't know about you but I don't give my personal information to 3rd world countries.

And I am very surprised that Best Buy allows this to happen. Hey Best Buy have you heard about identity theft??? So Best Buy I'm glad you can make that bottom line a little fatter by using cheap labor that you have exploited. But it is an inconvenience to me and anyone else that can't understand what the people are saying. So my time is not valuable, I can sit off the phone with Geek Squad for hours or until I understand what they are saying. SEE YA GEEK SQUAD.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Not worth your money. I paid about $250 in fees, and when I did need the service, it was another $200. The screen replacement would have cost $200. When I called to get the phone repaired, the customer service was horrible and the individual was quite rude. Never again.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I started having problems with the quality of my pictures. Wondered if there was something wrong with the computer. I have a contract with Geek Squad for the computer. One day I stopped in Best Buy for another item and thought I would go over to the Geek Squad counter and ask them about this. I noticed that there was no one at the Geek Squad counter so I wandered over.

When I got there a couple of the service people were standing talking. I asked one of them if I could ask a question. I was asked if I had an appointment and I said no, I just wanted to ask a question to determine if I should bring my computer in. I was told that I had to make an appointment and he had nothing open for the rest of the day. The time spent talking about why I should make an appointment could have answered my question three times. My question was, "I am having a problem with the quality of my pictures when I print them, should I bring the computer in," They won, I walked out never to darken their counter again. That is the end of my service contract anyway.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Where do I begin? I purchased an All in One computer in July of 2018. The representative from the Geek Squad spoke with me when I had to bring it in for service within a week of purchase. He suggested I purchase the Total Tech package and it covers all of my computers; the Geek Squad could come right to my business and service all of my All in One computers. I bit and bought it. Fast forward to last week. My computer crashed. I called the Geek Squad first thing Monday morning and set an appointment for Tuesday morning, the first available appointment. About an hour prior to the appointment, the tech calls and says he cannot come to my house; that they are not allowed to service All in One computers in your home and I would have to bring it to the store!

I lost an entire day and this computer is crucial to my business (I have an ecommerce business, so my computer is my lifeline to my website. Being the owner, I do a lot of work from home in the evening). I take the computer to Best Buy and am told it would be looked at on Wednesday. I try to call Thursday to get a status update. You cannot call the store! You get voice prompts that send you right to a voicemail and nobody calls you back! I had to call the appliance department to ask them to walk over to the Geek Squad and have them speak to me! I had the appliance department's number because I had purchased a refrigerator, dishwasher and stove which would be installed in my new kitchen (in progress).

Today, Wednesday, 4/17/19, I was scheduled to have my new refrigerator installed. The salesperson told me that, since I was a Total Tech member, installation was free; I only had to pay for the hookup for the icemaker. No problem! Invoice states: French Door Refrigerator, Existing Utilities/Water (hookup), Appliance relocate (move old fridge to garage) and 6' SS Kit (to hook up the water). So they arrive. The installer says he cannot install the refrigerator since the line runs into my basement. I HAVE NO BASEMENT! He then said "oh, it runs through your ceiling - I cannot do the installation". I told him it clearly runs through my cabinets to my sink - a white line. He told me he is not allowed to disconnect it! OMG! It says it right on my invoice!

I was also told this by the salesman, Joe **. The Geek Squad calls my phone and says that they are not permitted to do this installation because there is an icemaker and water line! I went outside to attempt to show the installer where the water line was and that I would unhook it and HE LEFT! Suffice it to say I will NEVER deal with Best Buy again and once my "total tech" subscription expires, I will not be renewing it. I have never dealt with such terrible customer service, lies and misrepresentations. Oh - one last thing! I called to cancel the entire order and was told they could not do that until the delivery people returned the refrigerator, even though their system shows they were bringing it back. I contacted a local appliance store and am purchasing everything through them. They were courteous and professional. I am DONE with Best Buy and the Geek Squad.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Back in 2016 I purchased a Samsung WF42H5000A Front Load Washer at Best Buy in the Warwick RI store. After 2 years, each time I washed towels they would take an average of 3 hours to wash. I tried changing detergents and numerous front load washer cleaners. When that didn't work I decided to call Geek Squad and have a tech come out, that was November 2018. It's been nothing but aggravation.

Geek Squad set up an appt for a 3rd party to come out, the appt was set up for a Monday morning. But on the Friday afternoon prior, around 4pm the 3rd party called me to tell me they couldn't come out and I had to reschedule. That was just the beginning of the problems. After a 2nd attempt of having someone come out, they had to order a sensor board and wait for it to come in. In January they replaced the sensor board. Still didn't fix the problem. I had to call and make another appt for a tech to come out. But what they don't tell you is that they have the tech come out to analyze the problem then come back out again. It's the same problem as when I called the first time!

The second tech came out and said the ducts needed to be cleaned, which he did. Still didn't work. Called Geek Squad again, to send someone out to analyze the problem. Who then ordered a sensor board. But isn't that what the 3rd party did? This is when I decided all major appliances are to be bought at a Home Depot or Lowe's. Made an appt for the tech to put in the sensor board, still didn't work. I called Geek Squad yet again and spoke to numerous customer service reps. about replacing the washer. One rep. told me that after 3 attempts of trying to fix the same problem I would qualify but that doesn't include having a third party look at it. Seriously? But then I called another customer service rep. and I was told it does include a 3rd party. Does Geek Squad not communicate with their reps? It just gets better and better.

I called Geek Squad yet again because the 2nd sensor board didn't resolve the problem. This time the pump was changed and still the problem continued. Although this time the tech who came out did inform me that there seemed to be another issue with the washer even if the first problem was resolved. Finally, someone who knew what they were talking about. Not only was he knowledgeable but professional. He put in a call to have this washer exchanged. It's now April and after 5 months of the same issue we are having the washer exchanged. But of course it gets a little better....

Our dryer was disconnected because the units were stacked. But when the Best Buy delivery rep came out to replace the washer, he stacked the units back. Thats when I told him the dryer has no vent connected, he told me it was ok. I informed him it wasn't ok the dryer needed to be hooked up. He said he didn't know how. A Best Buy delivery rep who doesn't know how to hook up a dryer?????

Original review: April 5, 2019

The Geek Squad Protection Plans cover appliances for a certain number of years. In my case, the previous owner of my home purchased an expensive refrigerator and a 3 year Geek Squad Protection Plan. These plans are supposed to be transferable, however, even though the refrigerator was purchased and delivered to my home, I can not use the plan without the original purchaser.

The seller of the home and fridge left all of the documentation and protection plan info for me, but Best Buy's Geek Squad refuses to honor the protection plan. They want me to call up the guy who I bought the house from and ask him to take 30 minutes out of his day to call Best Buy and transfer the plan to my name AT THE SAME ADDRESS AS THE ORIGINAL DELIVERY ADDRESS? What a joke! I will never, never buy an appliance at Best Buy. The other reviews on this site should offer plenty of support for this decision and I urge the reader to spend their money elsewhere. Buyer beware.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Don't bother buying the Geek Squad warranty, it's useless and a complete rip-off. First, I went to the store to get my phone fixed. They said they couldn't fix it in-store because it was a Sony and told me to call Geek Squad for a replacement phone. I called them and filed a claim for a replacement phone which they said would be shipped to me. On top of that, I would be charged and extra $100 for a service fee. (Note: Because I had made the claim before my warranty expired, Geek Squad assured me they would fulfill the request even after my warranty would expire.)

3 weeks later and nothing came so I called again and they said to wait another week. I waited and then received a notification and voicemail saying that they had cancelled my claim because of an error on their part and that I should go in-store to received a replacement phone on-the-spot. I went to the store to receive my replacement phone only to have them tell me that they couldn't fulfill my claim because my warranty was expired. I told them the circumstances and they proceeded to call customer service. I talked to the customer service agent and she told me that they had to investigate the situation. She said she would request a one-time reactivation of my warranty to solve the issue but that I would have to call back tomorrow or they would call me back. They called me back and told me that they would not fulfill my claim because the warranty had already expired even after they had promised me it would be fulfilled because I made the claim BEFORE my warranty had expired.

They don't take responsibility for errors on their part nor do they try to solve the issue knowing that it is their fault. I had made my claim before my warranty expired and they assured me that even after my warranty had expired they would fulfill the claim. They lied and wasted my money and time going back and forth to the store. Save your money and your sanity.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Sent a laptop in for service. The guy at the Geek Squad desk in my local Best Buy said it was going to be 85 to ship and around roughly 60 for the parts and repair. Finally got ahold of someone about a week later to find out what was going on with it and was told it was going to be 287. I declined service. Was told it was going to be sent back to store the next day March 25. Tracking on the website said it was in transit and was going to be at the store on April 1. Checked on said date and it now says returned to sender. Can't get a straight answer as to why but found out it never left the repair center on the 26th like I was told it was going to be. Talking to multiple people. They all say even though it's their fault for the delay they can't send directly to my address. So far I have been lied to around 4 times for this one service. I would not recommend using Geek Squad service/repair for anything.

Original review: March 31, 2019

You pay a lot for the protection plan for 2 years, you think it covers for 2 years with a replacement for the damaged item, you end up with getting a store credit and canceling the protection plan when something happened to the item! And then you have to go buy it yourself again and then getting NEW protection plan for another 2 years when the 1st plan didn't even finish one year!

Original review: March 29, 2019

The contract essentially forces you to re-purchase your phone at full price while you wait for them to swap your phone for a new one. Except if your phone is out-of-stock, which I can only assume is all the time - in that case they tell you you will receive a "Coin Star" (probably a Best Buy Company) email credit for use in their store. So now they have your phone and you've paid for the original, the replacement and sent in your damaged phone - all without getting a working phone. The whole thing is a disguised working capital grab by this deceitful organisation forced on you by commissioned sales reps that don't tell you any of the correct details at the POS. It's a complete scam - avoid!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I worked online with Geek Squad to get an appointment as I needed my computer fixed quickly. A few hours later I took it into Best Buy to the squad. I was told that Microsoft had downloaded a bunch of Windows 10 stuff over the Christmas holidays into January and that my reader was bad on my computer. Since I had not been on the computer over the holidays or first part of January, I figured he must know what he was talking about. I told him that I needed everything saved before they started any work so they sold me a SanDisk and said it would be ready in 2 or 3 days.

When I called on Monday to find out what time I could pick up the computer, they had to find someone from the Geek Squad who asked my name. I was then told they would have to send my hard drive somewhere to get all the information off it and it would cost anywhere from $600 to $1500 to do that. I asked them if they were crazy as NOTHING was said about that and they were supposed to have copied everything before even starting on it. Two weeks later when I finally got the call that it was ready, there was nobody willing to walk thru what was done. The girl in the department handed me to stick and said everything was on it.

When I got home all of my apps, all of my information, literally EVERYTHING was missing. What they copied was a joke and was basically nothing. All of my tax info was gone and all the folders was gone. I had no 'reader' -- absolutely nothing. These people are a joke and people like me that trust too easily are taken advantage of. The saddest part of all is pictures I had on the computer are all gone. Don't use the GEEK SQUAD unless you are eager to get taken advantage of.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased a phone. Its access port broke. The CSRs did not believe me when I said I could not access the special number that they needed. I called Best Buy to get a number that Best Buy could not provide, then called Geek Squad again. I will pay 100$ plus tax for a phone that doesn't charge to be repaired and lose all my data, after phoning four times. The tech support and customer service are not in contact with each other. And claim numbers are different than case numbers and they mean nothing to the customer when all the customer wants is to have a phone replaced or repaired. The process is arduous and stressful. I would recommend another place to buy a phone. Best Buy was not helpful as they told me to call Geek Squad instead of helping me resolve my issues in the store.

Three days and four phone calls later, I lose my data, spend hours on the phone, get three different numbers that meant nothing to the people that gave them to me when I call back, get transferred between customer service and tech support repeatedly, and pay for the experience 100$. Please don't consider Geek Squad or Best Buy if service beyond the purchasing and set up of your phone is desired. LG 5 has a problem with the charging port and the camera that protrudes slightly and is therefore vulnerable to damage. Otherwise, a decent phone. I don't write reviews often, bad or good, and being negative is not my way. I would like others to not have the same experience, is all. The phone is not essential for me as a tool, but I miss the pics that were a special year's worth of memories - back up your phone often. Lessons learned are not often pleasant experiences.

Original review: March 22, 2019

On March 19, 2019, I visited Best Buy to purchase a computer. After selecting the equipment, the Best Buy salesman convinced me to buy several options to protect and service my machine. Because I understood Best Buy was a reliable company I agreed and paid a little over $1,500.00 for a computer that was on sale for under $900.00. After purchasing the computer, the salesman stated that the computer would have to be given to their Geek Squad to complete service on the computer and that the service could take a day or two. I agreed, and after the salesman handed the computer over to an individual in Best Buy, I left.

On March 20, 2019, I received an email notice that I would be required to set up an appointment to pick up my computer. I could not simply go down and pick up what I had already paid for but was now required to set up an appointment. After considering this and thinking about a time to go down, I received a call from an individual from Best Buy who claimed he was with the Geek Squad. He did not call me to say my computer was ready and ask what time I would like to come down to pick up my equipment. He told me my laptop was available and offered me three times he had open that I would need to pick from to get it. As none of the times were convenient, I decided on the latest and least inconvenient time at 7:40 P.M. and rearranged my time accordingly.

I arrived early and waited. As I waited at the counter, 7:40 came and went. Then 7:45, 7:50, 7:55, and not one person approached me or was present for the appointment, an appointment I was required to make to receive the computer and services I had already paid for. I left. The point here was not that I had to wait for 10, 15 or 20 minutes. The point was, who knows how long I would have waited if I had stayed. It was the Geek Squad that demanded an appointment be set before I could pick up my purchase. I had rearranged my entire evening just so I could be at their store at a time they selected, to pick up what I had already paid for. And now, at their store, they were not present. They, who work at the store, could not arrange to meet me when they required I be there.

The next day I went back to the store mid-morning and asked to speak to a Best Buy Manager. I explained how after I was required to set up an appointment and no one else showed, I simply wanted my computer now. I stated that I would not set up another date and wished what I had bought be given me. The Best Buy representative who stated he was a manager went and retrieved another individual he claimed ran the Geek Squad unit. The manager said this man would help me.

As I followed the new individual over to their Geek Squad Desk, I did not receive an apology for their rudeness at not being available the previous night. Then I informed my escort that I wanted my $199.00 yearly service agreement canceled. The salesman who sold me this service had told me that this service has a recurring annual fee of $199.00. However, he also stated it could be canceled at any time and that many people cancel the service after their first year or when they had no more need for the service. I decided that based on an appointment that I was required to make, which the Geek Squad considered not important enough to make, that I could no longer rely on them or their service. Not wanting a recurring charge, I decided to cancel this yearly fee now while I had it on my mind.

As we walked to the Geek Squad counter, I informed the individual escorting me that I wanted to cancel the Geek Squad service agreement. At this point, the Geek Squad escort stopped in his tracks, turned to look at me with what could only be considered nothing less than a scowl and stated, ‘Fine, then we’ll charge you for every service we have performed on your computer.’ I was floored. First, the Geek Squad fails to show up for an appointment they require me to make, then the Geek Squad escort acts more like a thug with a tone of voice that suggests that he would prefer a backyard fight. In essence, he tells me ‘You want to cancel, then we’ll make you pay even more.’ Never did he offer an apology for the previous night, but a threat of more charges seemed appropriate to this man.

I’m not one who likes to be intimidated by anyone, not even a Geek Squad thug, so based on his threat, I told him, ‘Fine, then I want a complete refund. I have not received my computer yet and just changed my mind. I do not want it or any of your services.’ Only then did this man attempt to change his tactic from arrogant to nice, which did not impress me. When he realized I didn’t care about his phony play at trying to resell me the computer, he became arrogant again, twice smirking at me as if he thought the whole thing was a joke. Each I called him on it, ‘Oh, so you think this is funny?’ Only then would he drop his smile for a moment and claim he wasn’t mocking me.

His next tactic was his attempt to engage me in conversation of which I was not interested and insisted, again and again, a little louder each time that I just want the money I charged returned on my card. Up to this point, I had not received the computer and now only wanted a refund. The individual pretending to be helping me then stated in a threatening voice, as if I should fear him, ‘You need to calm down.’ I told him that I would not calm down until the money charged to my card was put back on my card. I did not threaten or use foul language or initiate any conversation. I only responded each time he opened his mouth in an attempt to steer the conversation to a side street of irrelevance. I was not interested in discussion, I only wanted a refund, and each time he spoke I responded. Just process my refund. I only spoke after each time he first opened his mouth.

Finally, he produced a printed sheet of paper that he claimed I needed to sign before I could receive a refund. I asked what the paper was. He stated it was an invoice that I had received the computer. ‘But I have not received the computer,’ I told him. ‘Why would I sign an invoice that I had received what I had not. That is a lie.’ He stated that once I signed the invoice, He would take me over to the cash register and give me my refund. As neither this man or anyone in Geek Squad had thus far given me any reason to trust in them or believe anything they said, I explained that since I paid for the computer, I have not touched, held, or in any way had possession of the equipment.

Why would I now sign a false invoice that stated I had. I told him I would not sign a false invoice. He then reverted to his thug attitude or arrogance, replying that unless I signed it, I would not receive a refund. I told him I would not sign it and demanded to speak with a manager. AT this point he stated that he was the manager of the Geek Squad and that the Geek Squad was his business, not Best Buy's. He claimed that the Geek Squad was a separate business from Best Buy. I COULDN’T BELIEVE MY EARS. I had purchased the computer and service agreements because I believed I was dealing with Best Buy, not some rogue computer service run by an arrogant thug.

All my dealing in purchasing the computer and computer services were with a Best Buy salesman. He never once stated or made clear that the Geek Squad was a separate business from Best Buy. If he had, I would not have agreed to any service agreement. I would have located my own computer expert to service my computer. I only decided to the services because I thought they were part of Best Buy’s offerings.

Now this thug who had switched from Mr. Nice to Mr. Thug, attempting to intimidate me, was informing me that He was in charge and that the Geek Squad was his business and not a Best Buy business. At the same time, he is stating that I will not receive a refund on a computer I bought at Best Buy from a Best Buy salesman. A laptop purchased from a company that claims it has a 14-day refund for return of merchandise. Here, this man was claiming, through his own statement, that he had complete authority over Best Buy, a company he claimed he was not a part of. His words and action showed he believed he was able to independently determine whether anyone got a refund or not from Best Buy.

Although he stated the Geek Squad was his own private business separate from Best Buy, it was clear he was acting on behalf of Best Buy by claiming authority over Best Buy’s mealy-mouthed manager who I first talked with who was off somewhere hiding during this interaction. It was also clear that Best Buy promoted and backed the Geek Squad by pushing their services and selling the same without making clear any separation existed. The fact is, without Best Buy, the Geek Squad would not be.

And why would I not receive a refund for the over $1,500 I spent on the computer I had never yet received? Because I would not sign a fraudulent invoice stating that I had received what I had not. This whole request for me to approve a phony invoice reeked of a fraudulent act. Whatever the ulterior motive of this thug was I have no clue, but I certainly would not sign onto his lie.

Also, this entire experience has me wondering who really runs Best Buy? It indeed wasn’t the Best Buy manager who apparently had run to hide in a corner while I was left to deal with this thug. It was the Thug who claimed if I did not sign the false invoice, I WOULD NOT RECEIVE A REFUND. Did Best Buy decide that rather than running their own stores and issuing refunds they would now hire thugs to take over the Geek Squads, who could intimidate Best Buy customers who they do not care for? And why was the emphasis on me signing what amounts to a fraudulent invoice to give me a refund?

The salesman who represented Best Buy never told me that the Geek Squad was a separate business. When the same salesman walked my computer to the individual at the Geek Squad at Best Buy, that man never stated that now I would be dealing with a different company. During the entire process, I believed I was dealing with Best Buy. Not until the final confrontation was I told by this thug that I was not dealing with Best Buy but with his own company. Yet, this same man had the authority to deny me a refund assured by Best Buy’s own policy, because I would not sign a phony invoice? You cannot claim you are a separate entity after the fact and then hold power over the previous business as though your authority supersedes both businesses.

It was clear I was upset during this episode; However, my words were focused on only one statement which I repeated over and over again. ‘Just process my refund.’ I did not call anyone names, nor did I cuss or swear. I did not want a conversation. I wanted the money I charged put back on my card. That was all.

But now, knowing that the Best Buy, store number 0210, located on South Wadsworth in Littleton, Colorado, is actually run by thugs from their Geek Squad unit, I would not do business with them again.

The store is clearly overseen by an individual who claims he is not part of Best Buy. How crazy is that? (Great deniability for Best Buy isn’t it.) I will also warn others against using this Geek Squad service which Best Buy pushes. There are plenty of individuals and companies around who have the technical experience to service computers. A person does not need to be forced into surrendering their dignity and rights to a Best Buy, or Geek Squad, which is run by a Thug who appears to believe that fraud is a way of doing business. Who, when he can’t sweet talk someone, attempts to intimidate others by his size and voice inflection.

The bottom line was that even as he stated that he was processing my refund, his ulterior motive was that I should sign a false invoice claiming I had received a computer, which I had not received. When I first asked him why I would need to sign a false invoice, the only explanation he offered was that I had to sign it to get a refund. That is not an explanation for signing a fraudulent invoice, and so because he could not give me a reasonable, honest answer, I did not sign it.

I guess in today's business climate it is not the customer who counts; it is the ego and fraudulent nature of those who claim they are in charge. While the individual who claimed he was a Best Buy manager was nothing more than a symbol of weakness, the real figurehead at the time of my visit to this Best Buy was their Geek Squad Thug. Having spent quite a bit of money at Best Buy over the years, I will not pay any more. Respectfully, Jacob

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a 40" or so 4K Samsung TV and when checking out was upsold on the Geek Squad protection. I was informed that the protection covers accidental drops, which was great for my case as I was getting the TV for gaming and move my TV sometimes. During one of my trips, the Screen cracked but I was assured as I had my Geek Squad coverage for this. When I went in to start the process for Geek Squad protection, I felt like an idiot as the employees and managers kept telling me I was informed incorrectly and that this is not covered. No solutions or anything. Just stuck with my cracked TV.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Best Buy for years. In that time I have purchased 3 computers, tablets, phones, televisions, etc. The person I used for computer work left the store, (Abe) and I was left with what was geek squad members that were available in the store. (Longmont) I called and spoke to Jennifer, who told me to call back and talk to Russ. Russ refused to return my calls. When I confronted him in person, he very rudely told me that "he did not do phone support." He would not answer my questions, and could obviously care less.

The people behind the counter were not knowledgeable, and could also care less, even less than Russ. Why Best Buy has a geek squad is beyond me. Their rudeness and lackadaisical, lazy attitude is unbelievable. I think they are hired by their level of stupidity and outright rudeness. I have since bought a new computer and printer elsewhere, where the sales people were pleasant and knowledgeable. I will never, ever, buy another item from Best Buy.

Original review: March 11, 2019

After answering a lengthy list of automated questions, you are disconnected. The Live agent on their website is a joke too. A few questions are answered and the agent disappears and does respond to any questions or a request to call (even though you have to give her your cell # to begin the live chat). What a racket!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Geek Squad is my best technical help on the internet that I can possibly receive for my money's worth. Be sure and call for Geek Squad service rather than going to online chat line. Best Buy Geek Squad even rebuilt a computer for me and described the parts needed and where to get them. I cannot give thanks enough to a great group of techs. They are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Every time they work on my computer, I learn something from that experience. If I could give better than 5 stars, I would. They are awesome and recommend them to work on any computer.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I brought my laptop computer to the Geek Squad at the Orillia, Ontario location for repair, as it would not charge. I was told it was the motherboard, and would cost approx $1000, I took it to Northern Protocol for a second opinion, and they advised it was a little switch that was broken and fixed it for $60! I will never go to Geek Squad again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased a 55 inch Toshiba television (55lf621u19) from Best Buy in Sept. 2017; the TV's manufacture date was May 2017. Well, about a week ago I was watching TV when the picture died - still had sound, just no picture. I contacted Toshiba customer service and they said that due to the age of the TV it was still under warranty. They scheduled an appointment for a repair person to come out and take a look and the TV would be repaired or replaced. Appointment day arrives and I get a call from the repair person to confirm information over the phone. They call again about an hour before they are set to arrive, and indicate based on the information provided that there is nothing they can do. The TV isn't under warranty. So, lesson is: if you get barely more than a year out of your brand new TV - I guess you're supposed to consider yourself lucky. Neither Toshiba nor Best Buy are willing to address this situation satisfactorily.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Total waste of money...getting the run around now over cell phone warranty. Went to the store, they sent me away...said to do it online for replacement. Tried to process online, unable to process. Called the number. After being on the phone for over 20 minutes and hardly understanding the agent, I was told we had to go to the store to process. I told him we already did, he said that that's what the store will tell you...to first go online, then you may be referred back to the store!! WHAT!! That's ridiculous! Save your money. I would never buy the Geek Squad warranty again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I paid a few hundred dollars for full Geek Squad services on all my electronic devices. And so far they told me my printer was not fixable and neither was my laptop of 2 years of age which was barely used. I recycled the printer and bought the same one online since I had just spent $60 on new ink when I recycled the cheap home printer. Had the same problem with the 2nd printer. Turns out the print head is depositing ink inside the printer and various things can be done manually to clean different parts of the printer to make sure excessive ink isn't released and to make sure it's plugged into a live outlet and not a power strip and to rarely do cleanings through the printer program. None which was done at Best Buy.

Then I took a chance of setting my laptop back to factory settings. Fixed what obviously was a software issue that they were too lazy to look for while having my computer for over a week. They never even offered to set it back to factory settings for me. I paid a hefty sum for their services so I wouldn't have to take hours to do that. He told me I needed a new laptop and that it was outdated and that was the reason it ran so slow. Made no sense to me since it was only 2 years old and I hardly used it and had barely nothing stored on it and no added programs. I think they have unqualified, lazy people working there and only want you to upgrade your electronics. This was the NE Philadelphia, PA location both times.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Based on my own experience, it just come up with a few words. SAVE THE INSURANCE MONEY TO BUY A BETTER MODEL. Don't ever think to buy extended insurance. It won't help if your TV or appliance broken down. They are not able to fix it since the technicians are not well trained. When you put on a service order, they just show up and say something that is not able to repair or it is not covered by insurance. Or you may have to wait a long long time and say it cannot be fixed. But they are not going to give you a replacement. DON'T BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY IS THE BEST BET WHEN YOU BUY A NEW TV. It may be better to bring your TV to recycle when it broken down.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals