1.23/5
Based on 131 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a tech support service?

Last updated: May 25, 2018

1129 Geek Squad Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

I purchased a computer from Geek Squad in May 2015. I agreed to the Geek Squad tech support plan and was also charged $99.00 to have my information transferred to the new computer. When I got home, I discovered the information was not transferred. Best Buy would not talk to me and insisted I had to work it out with Geek Squad. Geek Squad refused to refund the $99 fee. I kept the support for another month and then cancelled it because the computer stopped working and had to be scrapped. Geek Squad could not fix it.

I've now discovered they have been charging my business account, under changing and ambiguous names since that time. Although they say, they have finally cancelled the account, I understand this is standard practice for them. They continue to bill your account and if you have the bank block them, they simply bill under a different name. I have lost over $300 dollars to them.

During this time, I have never dealt with them and have never heard from them. They have been off my radar because I cancelled the service and vowed never to work with Geek Squad or Best Buy again. When you call they continuously disconnect the calls to avoid dealing with you. They told me that I cannot talk to supervisors or managers because they cannot help me, click. I just called again to get the order number to enter below and was told they could not find my original order number. Is there any remedy available to make this right?

Original review: May 16, 2018

Geek Squad services in general were good. The issue is when you go to unsubscribe you need to give your first born child! Issue... had Geek Squad sent to my email address for Cineplex etc, and for some weird reason it started to go to my daughters address... didn’t know why? So when I went to unsubscribe apparently I needed her permission! Really!?? After waiting 24 minutes, someone answered and immediately hung up. I was getting upset knowing I had to do this whole thing all over again. Then the lady couldn’t find my account, it should have been the same one they took the money out of every month, but oh no, they couldn’t find it! Then asked all sorts of email and phone numbers, only to tell me I wasn’t allowed to cancel it, I had to have my daughters permission. That’s rich! Never again! Don’t do it! It isn’t worth the hassle!!!

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I spent approximately $300 for this so call support service. First of all there is no way to contact them after hours. So the 24/7 doesn't really exist. The so call geek is just a person working off a laptop that can't answer any questions that you may have that is technical. Or any other question about Best Buy services. I'm 63 and bought a soundbar. I had a friend tried to help me to try to set it up but couldn't. After contacting Geek Squad and they couldn't help I'm returning this $400 purchase back to them.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Can't even replace a battery in an iPhone 7 - Can't believe these guys brag how comprehensive their services and support are. You get bounced from one person to another then finally get told they "don't do your kind of repair", go see a third party. What am I paying for here. Very disappointing and deceptive marketing Geek Squad. The unfortunate part of this is I have to keep forking out monthly membership until November. Good money after bad.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The ext. warranty is like putting the money in the trash - Best Buy sells the warranty and I buy for 5 years. And they spend sending and sending the technician and does not fix. I tried to talk to someone in the repair department and they all just say they have to wait and I have no refrigerator in a week. The repair name is Geek Squad, something like that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased a laptop from Best Buy and got great usage out of it. I recently cracked the screen (it is a touchscreen) and decided to use Geek Squad to do the repair even though the warranty was expired. When I dropped it off I paid the service shipping fee and provided a max service cost of $169. I was told to expect a call shortly informing me of the actual cost of repair. I received an email in a reasonable timeframe informing me that the actual cost would be $193 and that my laptop should be ready for pick up the following Thursday and I approved it.

Three weeks later I still hadn't heard from them and I went into the store to check (I needed some other things). I was told that the repair was just about to be completed and that I would get a call to pick it up shortly. The next day I got another email telling me there was a price change and they needed my approval again. I called again and the told me they were bumping up the price to $253 and that they wanted my approval to start work. I asked for them to just send the laptop back and I will find someone much better suited to repair it. The part costs $40 online and local shops offer to repair for much less. Completely dissatisfied with Geek Squad and don't plan to use for any of my companies needs.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Purchased a cell phone from Best and the Geek Squad warranty as well less than 8 months ago. Brought my faulty cell phone to the store at Geek Squad department several times. The representative finally suggested that the phone is faulty and told me to call 1800GeekSquad. I called the number, after waiting long and being hung up on me, the representative told me that I have to pay the deductible for the cell phone that I purchased less than a year ago and it's still under Samsung warranty!!! Has nothing to do with Geek Squad protection plan. It's a fraud and phony plan. Geek Squad sells to profit from without providing the service. Will file a claim with BBB.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I purchased membership of Geek Squad in Saskatoon BestBuy for installation of TV which I purchased in store. The salesman said, "You can save the installation fee if you purchased the Geek Squad Service", so I signed a kind of agreement with the teeny tiny printing for details. The man from BestBuy had never mentioned there could be a monthly fee continuously charged from my credit card.

Over 6 months later now, I just found the Geek Squad monthly charged from my credit card history for CAD $22.19, EVERY MONTH, without any kinds of notifications like emails, mails, phone calls, texts... NOTHING. And I tried to reach Geek Squad today for this issue, they said as long as you signed the agreement, they have no obligation for notifications. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I purchased sam MU8000 13 days ago from Best Buy Sunridge location, They have charged me 250 $ for 4 yr Geek Squad protection and said you can get help any time 24*7 from them, just now some issues popped up regarding my IP tv, I called Geek Squad Calgary number. They have responded in very ridiculous manner. I can't even dream about it and didn't solve my problem and even after that in between they just hang up my call twice. I'm really really disappointed for money I have paid. It's 11:51 pm now and seriously this is not a good customer service. I'm not recommending Geek Squad for help at least in night time, no one told me anything about that. Geek Squad will charge you to see you at home, in fact people told me that it's free service. Sorry.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I purchased a computer with the extended warranty for my daughter. I took it in right before the warranty expired, they were to have replaced the keyboard and motherboard. I get it back and my daughter can tell a difference immediately, and not in a good way. The computer gets harder and harder to turn on until it doesn't turn on at all. I take it back to Best Buy to be told the warranty is over and there is nothing they are willing to do. I take it to another repair shop, they say it needs a new motherboard and the bill is $800.00. I call to complain and was told that a manager would be calling me, shocker no call. I posted on their forum, the forum is moved to the Geek Squad board, the same place that wouldn't help me in the beginning. So I may be forced to spend another $800.00 on this computer, but Best Buy will not be getting any more of my money, that is for certain.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I took my laptop into the (Geek Squad) Best Buy at Woodmore Twne Ctr 9th of Apr 2018. I 1st brought two laptops for Xmas, one of them started to slow down and I didn't know why. The agent at the store said they would check it out and fix it. If it was a software problem I would have to pay for that protection I did. I was thinking the whole laptop was covered under the plan I bought at purchase. I should have been offered software protection when purchased it, would have been cheaper. Kiana ** went back and recalculated the difference and refund to me the difference. Thanks for going the extra mile.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I brought my computer to Geek Squad Simi Valley because I was having a problem with an update. After contacting them online and waiting for them to help, I spent 4 hours with them. As a result, they deleted my camera and virus protection. Contacted them online later that day and told them in addition to the update not being repaired, now my laptop is missing crucial components. I spend another 4 hours with them on the phone only for them to tell me to bring it to the store. I bring it to the store and they reinstall the camera and AVG and fix the update. That same night my computer froze. It froze every day for another 4 days until I bring it in again. I brought it to GEEK again. They kept it for one day and I’m pretty sure didn’t look at it and told me everything was fine.

I took it back to Geek Squad and they delete Windows and put it back. After they did this they claimed my issues were repaired. I bring it back to them a few days later because it was not. Now they have to do a backup and charge me 40 dollars (I got a discount because they caused this problem initially). I bring it home and use my computer for 30 minutes and it freezes again. I go back to the store and now they claim it’s a hardware issue and I need to buy a new computer. Don’t trust these scammers. Their $200 one year protection is a joke. I paid them to destroy my computer!!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I buy warranty on all my items since I am not a tech person so I bought a tv with accidental service. When I wanted to claim the tv because it broke, I had so much with phone service. They kept transfer me to different departments. I took my 1-1/2 hr to get through them. Finally when I got through them while I was on phone the call got disconnected. Lol. Again it took me 30 mins to get through the right department. They finally made my claim but the phone service Best Buy have is just crazy.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was scheduled for a 12:00 to 4:00 delivery. I receive a first response phone call at 2:30 that they won't be at my house till 4:30. At 4:30 I receive a second phone call. The Geeks won't be there till 6:30. I call delivery and am told to hold. I hold for 5 min and then get a recording I've been disconnected. I will never buy anything from Best Buy that requires the Geek Squad. Spreading the word... Losers!

Original review: March 24, 2018

They auto charged me 3 years; did NOT include promised KASPERSKY - Total charge over $486 and NO promised Kaspersky antivirus with autorenewal! I contacted online and chatted w/ agent - no help. I then called for refund and they only credited $22!!! What a joke of a company!

Original review: March 20, 2018

When transferring data from my old to a new computer, my folders were lost. When I complained the agent said I had asked to have my past emails deleted, not transferred. No one told me my request meant I would also lose my folders. They said it was my fault as I asked for all emails to be deleted. And that includes folders. I got nowhere with this rude geek. I asked to speak to someone else, preferably a lady. She consulted with a regional manager and after 20 min, he was able to retrieve my folders and lost pictures. It was a bad and rude experience.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Like many others, I decided to take advantage of the battery replacement program from Apple on my iPhone 7. After contacting Apple, they sent me to Geek Squad at Best Buy. When I arrived, they ran diagnostics and I consented to battery replacement. “There is a very low chance your phone may not work after the replacement. If that happens, we put the old battery in and you leave no worse than when you came in,” they said. An hour later, I returned to be told my phone was dead, could not be fixed even after putting the old battery back in, and I would need to wait for 3-5 days for a new phone. 3-5 days?!? The condescending tech did not even offer a loaner phone until I asked for one. The manager did nothing more than shrug and blame Apple for the failure. Had I known, I would’ve waited for an appointment at the Apple store. Won’t be using Geek Squad again!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I called Geek Squad to find out if they could find out what is wrong with my desktop and then repair it. Geek Squad assured me they would find the problem and repair the desktop no matter the problem. 3 days later I was called back in and was informed it was my motherboard and dust was why it overheated and ruined the motherboard.

Geek Squad said they cleaned out all the dust, which they didn’t, it was still filthy. And then told me they don’t sell motherboards at Best Buy so I would have to go purchase my own and bring the desktop back in and they would replace it for me for $40. So I purchased a motherboard and went back into Geek Squad which is about 20 miles away each way. Geek Squad then claimed they don’t replace motherboards! What?! So $200 later and I’m not positive if they even knew what they were talking about at this point. Don’t take your computer to Geek Squad. They will charge you a $100 for diagnosing your problem and then won’t be able to fix it anyway. Find someone that will actually know what they are doing, and give you back your hardware in working condition. Thank you Geek Squad for completely wasting my time and money.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I took my laptop into the Geek Squad because it was having a glitch in the photo app. It was showing some photos as black when flipping through, but if I flipped back the photo would show. I figured that this would be an easy fix, but according to them they tried everything and were unable to resolve the issue. They told me that it doesn't make sense that it's not working because they made the computer like new, and told me that there must be something wrong with my files. The files are working on every other computer except for that computer though! They called me two separate times telling me that my computer was fixed and then when I went in it wasn't, and now I am going back a third time to pick it up unfixed. I had to re-explain the issue multiple times because every time I spoke with someone it was a new person.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Like many of you my INSIGNIA 43 inch tv just turns itself off when it wants to, and when you turn it on there's a noise coming from the speaker even if all the volume is turned down. This was a terrible purchase and a name brand I'll soon forget, and the GEEK SQUAD folks don't seem to care and now I understand why after reading all of the posts.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I brought a Dell laptop computer into the San Rafael Best Buy Geek Squad. They had to send it out for repair, they did not even ship it to the repair center for six days and the repair center did not even check it for a few more. My daughter needed it for school and due to the delay we had to buy a new computer. The computer finally came back almost exactly a month after I brought it in and about 10 days after their estimated return date. Getting service at their counter is slow also, have to wait in line both to bring it in and pick it up.

Original review: March 14, 2018

These people claim to support PCs online - they do not and they leave your PC in bad shape when they say they've "fixed" the problem. Have used them twice - first time I thought was a fluke. This time they were so lax in their customer service, and their technical support people are a joke as they hide their path so no one can find out that they didn't do what was asked - they shut off my Windows services so I couldn't report the problem until they had written a false report about the events - you'd do better just Googling a problem. Then when you try to speak to someone on the phone no one takes responsibility as they gaslight you about the situation. They are complete idiots who take no responsibility for their actions.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I had my laptop "repaired" 2 months after I had dropped it off at Best Buy, Geek Squad customer service. During this time I dealt with multiple service personnel, via 1800 number, and in store employees. THEIR STAFF lacked concern, And most of all customer support skills, not to be completely negative there were a few great Representatives... 2. This process was costly, exhausting and awful. Currently waiting a phone call, from an alleged appeasement Center. It's been about 2 weeks.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I bought iPhone 8 Plus in November 2017 with 3-year warranty at $503.64. At that time, I thought this warranty was from Apple and no one told me this warranty was from Geek Squad. Unfortunately, I dropped my phone and broke the screen. I went to Best Buy and was told to call Geek Squad. And then nightmare begun for the processing and making phone calls. They told me I had to pay $226 extra for repair or replacement. I had no choice and they gave me $75 in-store credit. DO NOT buy iPhone from Best Buy, DO NOT buy warranty from them also!!!

Original review: March 2, 2018

Twice now I have had to call support because they are double and sometimes triple charging me for multiple months. Yes, I should have noticed. Are they willing to do anything at all? NOPE! Customer service seems to be an absolutely foreign concept to Geek Squad. They are tapping a bank account and a credit card and refuse to even acknowledge that they are doing anything wrong. I have one phone on the plan. I have never used the service and the only time I needed to call was when I found double charge a few months ago, which I was assured would be reversed and the charges stopped. So angry I can't see!! Absolutely atrocious!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

An appointment was made to repair my computer issues. I spoke to Takira and I had to wait three days and was given a window of 8 A.M. to 12 P.M. The technician never showed. I had called the day of the appointment and spoke to Jill to confirm my information and appointment. I was assured that the technician would be arriving. He never showed up and I was not contacted. I called after waiting over 4 hours and was told that the technician could not find my address. He was sent to another state -- an old address -- where I no longer reside. Why would they send him to another state? They had my phone number and never called to check my address, when the technician could not locate me. They also had my current phone number. I was passed from one person to another: Jill, Casey, Negeeda, Sara. I was told I would not get another appointment until the following week on a Wednesday.

I had already waited for 3 days for an appointment, waited over 4 hours for an appointment for which they did not show up, and now I had to wait until the following week - 5 more days. I was told a supervisor would contact me. It is now 5:35 P.M. and NO ONE has called me. I would never use them or refer anyone to them after my experience. They never had the courtesy to contact me when they obviously sent the technician to the wrong address in another state, which was their incompetence. They should have known that from the area code of my phone alone, where they incorrectly sent the technician. They had my correct phone number, but neglected to contact me to straighten out their errors. When I called I was put on hold for over 33 minutes as they transferred me from one person to another. The staff was inefficient, sloppy, incompetent, and unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They don't tell you that when you call to cancel after the "free" installation there is a huge amount that you have to pay. No way can you cancel because you keep getting the runaround. Waste of good money.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

A few months ago I purchased a one year subscription for the 24/7 tech support at $99 plus $10.25 per month ($7.07 Geek Squad service / $3.18 antivirus). After 2 months I noticed my monthly charge went up from $10.25 to $11.53. When I called to inquire, I was informed the Geek Squad no longer supported Kaspersky and would now be using Trend Micro.

They informed me by email they would make the switch without charge for the Trend Micro. However, I purchased the year subscription at the $10.25 cost and so I called the billing department to asked them to credit my account and then continue to charge me at the $10.25 cost. I was put on hold for over an hour, then hung up on. I then started calling on 3 separate phone lines at the same time and each person tried doing the same thing of putting me on hold hoping I would get frustrated and hang up.

Well I did not. I stuck it out and eventually was connected and my issue was given a case # but never resolved. I have called them every week and will continue to do so. Why? Because when I do a test and call posing as a new customer, I am given the original pricing, yet when I tell them that, they refuse to resolve the problem. The Geek Squad billing department really is not educated enough to resolve issues. They all say they "Understand" and lead you to believe they will help you, but just put you on hold and/or tell you they are sorry but there is nothing they can do. Please keep this in mind when you call for the 24/7 service. It is similar to the cable companies, once they have you they start to increase the pricing and you are stuck paying it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

“I suggest going to your local hardware store but you will have to pay for whatever price they charge you to fix your phone.” – said the Geek Squad agent (for real). Please, save your money and don't pay into a plan that does not pay off. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 in December 2015 and had purchased the Protection Plan after the salesperson raved about it.

In February 2018, my phone started experiencing issues with the battery and signal, so I called them to see what my options are to getting my phone fixed. So I went online to chat with an agent from Geek Squad. They told me my protection plan expired in December 2017, and to call the Geek Squad for further assistance. The agent exited the conversation faster than I could respond.

So I called Geek Squad. The agent was nice at first, and when she told me my plan expired in December 2017, I explained to her the situation was that I thought the plan was longer than 2 years, and asked if there is anything Geek Squad can do. Her tone completely changed, and kept reiterating to contacting the carrier to replace my phone and to see the local repair shop instead. The rudest comment she made was her hammering the fact that Geek Squad will not cover that cost (hello? Common sense). So in the past two years, I wasted $337 on a plan that does not cover the device when it actually starts having issues. Word of advice: Save the money into your own repair/replacement fund instead of purchasing a protection plan that does not, and will not cover your device(s) when they start having issues.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have a Samsung 65" Curve TV which turns on by itself. I purchased Geek Squad extended warranty when I purchased it. They sent technicians to our house 3 times and couldn't fix it. They told me we must try another company to have the second opinion if the TV is fixable so another technician from a company called Best Tech came to my house and couldn't do anything. They don't want to change my TV and keep shooting me to another company. When I call Geek Squad, they don't even know how many times they send a technician to my house. It seems that they don't keep the record because every person tells me something different. They tell me, "We will call you back" and nobody calls me. I have called them more than twenty times and still no answer and still they don't care about my TV. The worse customer service that I have ever seen.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals