1.18/5
Based on 120 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a tech support service?

1141 Geek Squad Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 20, 2018

Waited for a week for an in home consultation (required). Then had to go to Best Buy to purchase nearly $1,000.00 worth of equipment base on the recommendation (not a fun experience - they couldn't find the product in the store at BCC - recommended another product). Waited another week or so for an in home installation which was not completed. The tech left my wife with a page of notes on how to complete the install based on what we wanted. The system does not work. I called and now need to wait for another 9 days for the next available technician. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. There is no escalation process and no appeal. And they wonder why we all shop online. Disgusting company in my opinion. My last time in a BEST BUY. STAY AWAY.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Geek Squad showed up and left as they said they needed more help. They have not rescheduled or called back in 5 days. I tried to cancel but everyone I talk to says the ticket is open and they cannot cancel and refund. Spent to much time talking to too many people who all said they could not help me. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and registered a disputed with my credit card company. I paid for my service on July 9th, today is July 18th and still no call back.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 13, 2018

I recently took my Apple iPhone 6s Plus to Best Buy to take advantage of Apple’s $31 battery replacement special which ends in December 2018. When I dropped the phone off, they ran a diagnostics which passed everything. They told me everything passed, even the battery. I asked them to replace the battery anyway, since the phone was already two and a half years old. About six hours later, they returned my phone to me and told me that my phone did not pass diagnostics after the battery was replaced. They told me that the front and rear cameras weren’t working due to “underlying issues”. The Geek Squad member then advised me to contact Apple Care to advise them what had happened to see if there was anything they would be able to do for me.

Already frustrated from the nearly six hour wait, I retrieved my phone and left the store. I tried to make a phone call after leaving the store and noticed the receiver on my phone was not working. In order to talk to somebody on the phone, I had to place my phone on Speaker. I contacted Apple Care and was told to take it back to Best Buy to see if they would be able to take another look at it.

The next day, I took it back and was told that if they accepted the phone for service, that I would have to be charged a service fee. Puzzled, I asked them why I would be charged if they were responsible for ruining my phone. To make an already long story shorter, they ended up turning me away unless I would pay for the service fee.

I left the store and contacted Apple Care again. This time Apple Care told me that I shouldn’t have returned to Best Buy. The Apple Care representative told me to go to the nearest Apple Store so they could fix my phone at no charge, since Best Buy was willing to help me. When I arrived at the Apple Store, they immediately handed me a brand new, out of the box, Apple iPhone 6s Plus. After asking questions, I discovered that Best Buy has been messing up iPhones during battery replacement. Apparently they do not know what they are doing and they won’t even accept responsibility for messing up your phone. I highly recommend anybody to take their iPhones for service to an Apple Store. I will never return to Best Buy for service on any device or electronic. -Best Buy in El Paso, Texas at the Fountains of Farah.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I purchased the “Geek Squad” protection plan from Best Buy (after being talked out of the Apple Care plan) for my wife’s iPhone 6. My subsequently broke her original phone and Geek Squad sent a refurbished replacement. This replacement was a total piece of crap! We lived with it because it took a week to receive and my wife couldn’t be without her phone for another week. Recently I took this refurbished phone into an Apple Store to have the battery replaced as it was no longer holding a charge.

Apple performed their diagnostic on the phone and informed me that the phone was loaded with third party components and that they could not replace the battery as components connected to it were unsafe and could overheat. They told me to contact Geek Squad and seek restitution. I originally called Best Buy as that was my point of purchase. The sales rep that I spoke with and explained the situation to directed me back to Geek Squad and informed me that this is a common occurrence and the Geek Squad would send me a gift card to replace the phone as restitution.

After speaking with their representative they informed me that their manager “Rob” refused to give me any restitution as I canceled my Geek Squad plan previously and accepted no responsibility for sending a defective phone replacement loaded with inferior, unsafe components. This is a brutal way to conduct a business, especially since they put the safety of my family in harm's way! I VERY STRONGLY URGE EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM BOTH BEST BUY AND GEEK SQUAD!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I'm short on funds, and lost my phone recently, so I emailed Geek Squad that I needed to cancel my Webroot subscription so I could have maybe enough for rent. I got an email back saying it was easy, just click this link, fill out the paperwork, and you're done. So I did, I even got a confirmation saying it worked. Two days later, I got another email saying payment was successfully withdrawn from my account, and now it's in the negative. I emailed back and told them what happened, and they said I couldn't go to that site, I had to call them to have it deactivated, which I couldn't do because my phone is off.

It sure is nice how they conveniently misread my email to suck 100 dollars out of my pocket, and then have the gall to say it's MY fault. And now I'm going to try taking it to the store itself during my lunch break and they WILL give me my money back, and I will not be returning. It's ridiculous that they install software you never asked for, and then don't let you cancel until after money is already taken out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Had the iPhone insurance with Geek Squad which covered damage. Phone was dropped on the 401 and run over by several cars. Because I was unwilling to run out onto the 401 highway to retrieve the phone they consider it lost and will not cover it. That was bad enough. The worst part by far, however was the way I was treated by the Best Buy staff and the Geek Squad phone representative. They did not make me feel in any way that I was a valued customer and immediately dismissed my questions. The manager that was supposed to call back within 24 hours called back 2 days later and left a message repeating the same canned phrases as the representative before. I will never shop at Best Buy again nor will I be a Geek Squad customer ever again. I see by the many reviews saying the same thing that I'm not alone in this.

Original review: July 3, 2018

The following review is provided by me to help other consumers have a clear picture of the disreputable practices I encountered on many occasions in my dealings with Best Buy and Geek Squad warranty issues. On four occasions I bought printer in the Years 2014/2015 in 2016. In each case I bought a product the same one the HP 8620. Its list price was always $299. Recently I learned how to scan and shortly after learning how to scan the roller that automatically document feeds stopped working. I called Geek Squad. They verified I was still under the warranty and that I have a replacement policy and that the policy called for an equivalent replacement to satisfy me or an improve replacement product should not an equivalent replacement be possible. I've had many of these overpriced warranties. I was well aware of that and that was well aware of what was sold to me.

I went to the Best Buy closest to me four miles away two days later. Unfortunately the HP 8620 had been replaced by the current model HP 8720. It also had a list price of $299 still. As usual the person that Geek Squad said, "No we're going to have to have you get a replacement." They tried to simply give me back what I paid for it. When I pointed out the terms of my warranty inappropriately was a consumer advocate for myself the management at this Best Buy had to go to computers to pick out the most appropriate replacement. All they had was an 8710 printer. Its full price list is $199. That is $100 less than the 8720 that they did not have in stock that is the most appropriate fulfillment of the warranty. I asked them to look up which store I could find an 8720 printer from HP and they sent me to the Thunderbird and I-17 Best Buy store in Phoenix.

I had to go there on a second trip the next day to pick up one of two printers they had in stock there. The next day I took my 8620 HP printer to that store and picked up an 8720 HP printer which would have been the proper replacement. Unfortunately the management was dishonest at the second store on Thunderbird and I-17 in Phoenix. They tried to tell me that the Best Buy warranty that I bought only would give me a gift card for what I paid for it and then I could go shopping again and do as well as I could with the given stated sale prices that week. I said that's not how it works in a polite respectful manner. I ask to speak to the store manager. They called the store manager over. The store manager said the best she could do was to refund me the hundred and sixty-two something dollars that I had paid. If I wanted to have an equivalent replacement product it would cost me approximately another $60 out of pocket.

I spent an hour and a half politely going over things and trying to stand my ground. She told me I could go back to the other store and I told her I didn't feel like going to another store. I was sent to the store since the other store didn't have the product. I left with a lesser printer HP 8710 that its sale price was $129. This annoyed me so I called back Geek Squad two days later. They again assured me that I was correct in the terms of the warranty that was not honored. They said they would escalate and someone would call me back that day most likely. Two days later I had not received a call and I have to get it over the phone to the escalation Department I'm kept transferring me all over the place. I spent over 2 hours on the phone getting nowhere. I was simply beside myself. Best Buy employee after Best Buy employee said that I was well within my rights and request. I finally resolved one employee that I would call corporate on Monday.

I again spent today which is Monday 2 hours on the phone with Best Buy corporate in Minnesota being transferred around and no one was able to help me but everybody agreed that I was not treated right. At one point it look like I had finally gotten someone who could send me the proper printer. We had a bad connection. They asked for my phone number. I gave it. They reviewed the phone number. I asked them to call me back. They said they would. They hung up and never called me back. My time is too valuable. My integrity and my dignity I've been insulted. I was fraudulently sold a warranty that was not upheld on their end. Their practices of overselling tech support I have had many many bad experiences and sold three times the amount of tech support at the cost of hundreds and hundreds of dollars to myself. The quality of Geek Squad is questionable at best. They do not have significant training or standardization of skills.

They are trained hard to sell sell sell and overcharge. I find them completely disreputable. They rush you on the phone when the remote on. Acks the products they sell. What they want to do is sell you more more more. The management at this particular store was completely unscrupulous. So much so that I've never complained about anything on the internet but I've learned to empower myself by going to the ConsumerAffairs website today and taking my time to help people understand the bad practices of Best Buy and Geek Squad.

Buyer please beware. Geek Squad is not your friend. Best Buy is not your friend and they do not care. They are motivated by greed in my opinion. They do not have the customer best interest in mind. I swear that this is the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God. I would encourage no one to buy a single piece of electronics or appliances from Best Buy until they revamp all their policies. Go elsewhere where you would be treated better with more integrity. God bless you all. I hope that this post that I took my time to make is helpful to you. It is the truth.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I purchased a TV from Best Buy with a service warranty. It is my understanding that Best Buy's policy is that if they cannot repair the item after the third appointment, they will replace the TV. However, we are going on our 5th appointment. The initial appointment, I was advised the TV was working as it should. The second appointment, before the technician even came to my home, he advised that it was probably the main board. The third appointment, the technician came and advised that the main board that arrived, brand new and from the factory, was damaged and he ordered a new part.

The fourth appointment, scheduled without asking for our availability, the technician installed the main board and then when the TV still did not work properly advised that it needed a WiFi part. Again, he scheduled another appointment, and without asking about our availability. I feel that Best Buy sold me a lemon and Geek Squad is not willing to honor their own policy.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I had been receiving pop ups on my laptop, so I took it in to Best Buy to have them do a virus check. I have had the Geek Squad plan since 2014 and maybe used it once before. Before I could barely explain my issue, the rep immediately tried to upsell me on their new comprehensive plan which covers multiple appliances. I declined that and then was told I had to pay an additional $99 to back up my files. Ok, thought that was a little excessive, but agreed.

I picked up my computer about a week later and was told that they found no viruses after doing a thorough check. About a week later, I was still getting the pop ups so I decided to do a rating inquiry on the Webroot software they use. I decided to look for the software on my computer, but could not find it. I then called the Geek Squad to see if they could help me find it.

The rep checked and also could not find. She directed me to another rep to have them install it stating that it would probably take 10 mins. Well, it took that rep about an hour to complete the install. I watched her go back and forth through the same steps and prompts, wondering if she knew what she was doing. I was appalled that the store that said they checked for viruses and charged me for it would give me back my computer WITHOUT the anti-virus software!!! I will be cancelling my plan with the Geek Squad after the subscription is done. Tired of companies hiring inexperienced people but charging premium fees.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Geek Squad Reinstate Computer - Once they do the initial work and sign you up to a multiyear contract they never call you back to help - they are always saying, "We will call you back in a few minutes." Very disappointing.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I could not open Outlook so I connected with the Geek Squad as I have a contract with them. I then went for dinner. When I opened my computer Outlook opened but all of my folders had disappeared. I run my business on folders and their Geek Squad could not fix it. Their answer was to go to a store. I am living in Europe for the summer so that was not possible. The Geek Squad created the problem and could not fix it!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Extremely upset with Geek Squad in Carson City, Nevada. Senior citizens, beware! On August 17, 2017, at 10:33 AM, Geek Squad sold my relative a new Apple computer that they said he needed when he brought in the one he was having trouble with. I do work for him on his desktop computer and happened to be away overnight. His newish computer was fine, but he gets anxious about things and isn’t sure what buttons to press. The Geek Squad kept his GOOD computer. When I tried getting it back right away, however, the Geek Squad said they couldn’t do it. Geek Squad also made my relative some promises that they didn’t keep, such as not having their new computer ready for him at various times and not returning his phone calls and not setting things up right, which also complicated things on my end since I do my relative’s computer work for him.

The second bad incident with Geek Squad happened when this relative also thought his computer mouse was broken because he didn’t know how to connect it to the desktop. He said he took the mouse in but that the Geek Squad didn’t even test it to see if it was broken. They had him buy a new $85 mouse and kept the “broken” one.

The third bad incident with Geek Squad just happened with their selling the same relative two Geek Squad computer features that he’s already paid for. I called Geek Squad saying that my relative still has 77 days left on these features that he’ll now be double paying on. Geek Squad will supposedly refund the money now, but why didn’t they check their system to see when my relative’s computer features were actually due to run out? I also noticed Best Buy receipts are hard to read and I didn’t get good explanations from customer service about them. I always liked Best Buy store but am totally not a fan of Geek Squad and will avoid them if I can in this small community.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I purchased a computer from Geek Squad in May 2015. I agreed to the Geek Squad tech support plan and was also charged $99.00 to have my information transferred to the new computer. When I got home, I discovered the information was not transferred. Best Buy would not talk to me and insisted I had to work it out with Geek Squad. Geek Squad refused to refund the $99 fee. I kept the support for another month and then cancelled it because the computer stopped working and had to be scrapped. Geek Squad could not fix it.

I've now discovered they have been charging my business account, under changing and ambiguous names since that time. Although they say, they have finally cancelled the account, I understand this is standard practice for them. They continue to bill your account and if you have the bank block them, they simply bill under a different name. I have lost over $300 dollars to them.

During this time, I have never dealt with them and have never heard from them. They have been off my radar because I cancelled the service and vowed never to work with Geek Squad or Best Buy again. When you call they continuously disconnect the calls to avoid dealing with you. They told me that I cannot talk to supervisors or managers because they cannot help me, click. I just called again to get the order number to enter below and was told they could not find my original order number. Is there any remedy available to make this right?

Original review: May 16, 2018

Geek Squad services in general were good. The issue is when you go to unsubscribe you need to give your first born child! Issue... had Geek Squad sent to my email address for Cineplex etc, and for some weird reason it started to go to my daughters address... didn’t know why? So when I went to unsubscribe apparently I needed her permission! Really!?? After waiting 24 minutes, someone answered and immediately hung up. I was getting upset knowing I had to do this whole thing all over again. Then the lady couldn’t find my account, it should have been the same one they took the money out of every month, but oh no, they couldn’t find it! Then asked all sorts of email and phone numbers, only to tell me I wasn’t allowed to cancel it, I had to have my daughters permission. That’s rich! Never again! Don’t do it! It isn’t worth the hassle!!!

Original review: May 14, 2018

I spent approximately $300 for this so call support service. First of all there is no way to contact them after hours. So the 24/7 doesn't really exist. The so call geek is just a person working off a laptop that can't answer any questions that you may have that is technical. Or any other question about Best Buy services. I'm 63 and bought a soundbar. I had a friend tried to help me to try to set it up but couldn't. After contacting Geek Squad and they couldn't help I'm returning this $400 purchase back to them.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Can't even replace a battery in an iPhone 7 - Can't believe these guys brag how comprehensive their services and support are. You get bounced from one person to another then finally get told they "don't do your kind of repair", go see a third party. What am I paying for here. Very disappointing and deceptive marketing Geek Squad. The unfortunate part of this is I have to keep forking out monthly membership until November. Good money after bad.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The ext. warranty is like putting the money in the trash - Best Buy sells the warranty and I buy for 5 years. And they spend sending and sending the technician and does not fix. I tried to talk to someone in the repair department and they all just say they have to wait and I have no refrigerator in a week. The repair name is Geek Squad, something like that.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased a laptop from Best Buy and got great usage out of it. I recently cracked the screen (it is a touchscreen) and decided to use Geek Squad to do the repair even though the warranty was expired. When I dropped it off I paid the service shipping fee and provided a max service cost of $169. I was told to expect a call shortly informing me of the actual cost of repair. I received an email in a reasonable timeframe informing me that the actual cost would be $193 and that my laptop should be ready for pick up the following Thursday and I approved it.

Three weeks later I still hadn't heard from them and I went into the store to check (I needed some other things). I was told that the repair was just about to be completed and that I would get a call to pick it up shortly. The next day I got another email telling me there was a price change and they needed my approval again. I called again and the told me they were bumping up the price to $253 and that they wanted my approval to start work. I asked for them to just send the laptop back and I will find someone much better suited to repair it. The part costs $40 online and local shops offer to repair for much less. Completely dissatisfied with Geek Squad and don't plan to use for any of my companies needs.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Purchased a cell phone from Best and the Geek Squad warranty as well less than 8 months ago. Brought my faulty cell phone to the store at Geek Squad department several times. The representative finally suggested that the phone is faulty and told me to call 1800GeekSquad. I called the number, after waiting long and being hung up on me, the representative told me that I have to pay the deductible for the cell phone that I purchased less than a year ago and it's still under Samsung warranty!!! Has nothing to do with Geek Squad protection plan. It's a fraud and phony plan. Geek Squad sells to profit from without providing the service. Will file a claim with BBB.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I purchased membership of Geek Squad in Saskatoon BestBuy for installation of TV which I purchased in store. The salesman said, "You can save the installation fee if you purchased the Geek Squad Service", so I signed a kind of agreement with the teeny tiny printing for details. The man from BestBuy had never mentioned there could be a monthly fee continuously charged from my credit card.

Over 6 months later now, I just found the Geek Squad monthly charged from my credit card history for CAD $22.19, EVERY MONTH, without any kinds of notifications like emails, mails, phone calls, texts... NOTHING. And I tried to reach Geek Squad today for this issue, they said as long as you signed the agreement, they have no obligation for notifications. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I purchased sam MU8000 13 days ago from Best Buy Sunridge location, They have charged me 250 $ for 4 yr Geek Squad protection and said you can get help any time 24*7 from them, just now some issues popped up regarding my IP tv, I called Geek Squad Calgary number. They have responded in very ridiculous manner. I can't even dream about it and didn't solve my problem and even after that in between they just hang up my call twice. I'm really really disappointed for money I have paid. It's 11:51 pm now and seriously this is not a good customer service. I'm not recommending Geek Squad for help at least in night time, no one told me anything about that. Geek Squad will charge you to see you at home, in fact people told me that it's free service. Sorry.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I purchased a computer with the extended warranty for my daughter. I took it in right before the warranty expired, they were to have replaced the keyboard and motherboard. I get it back and my daughter can tell a difference immediately, and not in a good way. The computer gets harder and harder to turn on until it doesn't turn on at all. I take it back to Best Buy to be told the warranty is over and there is nothing they are willing to do. I take it to another repair shop, they say it needs a new motherboard and the bill is $800.00. I call to complain and was told that a manager would be calling me, shocker no call. I posted on their forum, the forum is moved to the Geek Squad board, the same place that wouldn't help me in the beginning. So I may be forced to spend another $800.00 on this computer, but Best Buy will not be getting any more of my money, that is for certain.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I took my laptop into the (Geek Squad) Best Buy at Woodmore Twne Ctr 9th of Apr 2018. I 1st brought two laptops for Xmas, one of them started to slow down and I didn't know why. The agent at the store said they would check it out and fix it. If it was a software problem I would have to pay for that protection I did. I was thinking the whole laptop was covered under the plan I bought at purchase. I should have been offered software protection when purchased it, would have been cheaper. Kiana ** went back and recalculated the difference and refund to me the difference. Thanks for going the extra mile.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I brought my computer to Geek Squad Simi Valley because I was having a problem with an update. After contacting them online and waiting for them to help, I spent 4 hours with them. As a result, they deleted my camera and virus protection. Contacted them online later that day and told them in addition to the update not being repaired, now my laptop is missing crucial components. I spend another 4 hours with them on the phone only for them to tell me to bring it to the store. I bring it to the store and they reinstall the camera and AVG and fix the update. That same night my computer froze. It froze every day for another 4 days until I bring it in again. I brought it to GEEK again. They kept it for one day and I’m pretty sure didn’t look at it and told me everything was fine.

I took it back to Geek Squad and they delete Windows and put it back. After they did this they claimed my issues were repaired. I bring it back to them a few days later because it was not. Now they have to do a backup and charge me 40 dollars (I got a discount because they caused this problem initially). I bring it home and use my computer for 30 minutes and it freezes again. I go back to the store and now they claim it’s a hardware issue and I need to buy a new computer. Don’t trust these scammers. Their $200 one year protection is a joke. I paid them to destroy my computer!!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I buy warranty on all my items since I am not a tech person so I bought a tv with accidental service. When I wanted to claim the tv because it broke, I had so much with phone service. They kept transfer me to different departments. I took my 1-1/2 hr to get through them. Finally when I got through them while I was on phone the call got disconnected. Lol. Again it took me 30 mins to get through the right department. They finally made my claim but the phone service Best Buy have is just crazy.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was scheduled for a 12:00 to 4:00 delivery. I receive a first response phone call at 2:30 that they won't be at my house till 4:30. At 4:30 I receive a second phone call. The Geeks won't be there till 6:30. I call delivery and am told to hold. I hold for 5 min and then get a recording I've been disconnected. I will never buy anything from Best Buy that requires the Geek Squad. Spreading the word... Losers!

Original review: March 24, 2018

They auto charged me 3 years; did NOT include promised KASPERSKY - Total charge over $486 and NO promised Kaspersky antivirus with autorenewal! I contacted online and chatted w/ agent - no help. I then called for refund and they only credited $22!!! What a joke of a company!

Original review: March 20, 2018

When transferring data from my old to a new computer, my folders were lost. When I complained the agent said I had asked to have my past emails deleted, not transferred. No one told me my request meant I would also lose my folders. They said it was my fault as I asked for all emails to be deleted. And that includes folders. I got nowhere with this rude geek. I asked to speak to someone else, preferably a lady. She consulted with a regional manager and after 20 min, he was able to retrieve my folders and lost pictures. It was a bad and rude experience.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Like many others, I decided to take advantage of the battery replacement program from Apple on my iPhone 7. After contacting Apple, they sent me to Geek Squad at Best Buy. When I arrived, they ran diagnostics and I consented to battery replacement. “There is a very low chance your phone may not work after the replacement. If that happens, we put the old battery in and you leave no worse than when you came in,” they said. An hour later, I returned to be told my phone was dead, could not be fixed even after putting the old battery back in, and I would need to wait for 3-5 days for a new phone. 3-5 days?!? The condescending tech did not even offer a loaner phone until I asked for one. The manager did nothing more than shrug and blame Apple for the failure. Had I known, I would’ve waited for an appointment at the Apple store. Won’t be using Geek Squad again!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I called Geek Squad to find out if they could find out what is wrong with my desktop and then repair it. Geek Squad assured me they would find the problem and repair the desktop no matter the problem. 3 days later I was called back in and was informed it was my motherboard and dust was why it overheated and ruined the motherboard.

Geek Squad said they cleaned out all the dust, which they didn’t, it was still filthy. And then told me they don’t sell motherboards at Best Buy so I would have to go purchase my own and bring the desktop back in and they would replace it for me for $40. So I purchased a motherboard and went back into Geek Squad which is about 20 miles away each way. Geek Squad then claimed they don’t replace motherboards! What?! So $200 later and I’m not positive if they even knew what they were talking about at this point. Don’t take your computer to Geek Squad. They will charge you a $100 for diagnosing your problem and then won’t be able to fix it anyway. Find someone that will actually know what they are doing, and give you back your hardware in working condition. Thank you Geek Squad for completely wasting my time and money.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals