Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

We paid for 3 years insurance for my son's laptop. We made a claim over 3 months ago for water damage to the device, submitting all requested paperwork at the time. After an initial acknowledgement response within 4 days, we waited for another month before the next response, which involvedmore questions, all of which we had referred to before and none of which were relevant to whether the claim was valid. Another three weeks - still no response. They're obviously just hoping I will forget and go away - which I obviously will not.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Geek Squad never showed up after confirming two appointments and never called. I tried to call the scheduling number and waited 30 minutes to tell me they want to reschedule again. There was no email to let them know I was dissatisfied and unable to connect me with a supervisor.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Their process is messed up. Agents do not enter the right notes into the file, have all sorts of questions for you but do not enter your answers, just to get to the actual scheduled appointment scheduler requires multiple calls, they transfer the call regularly and then 8 out of 10 times not to the right place/department. Technicians do not come to your appointment (travel) with parts. All parts must be ordered. Even the most routine items. Technicians do not run a full diagnostic on the actual machine, relying only on the error codes and what the internet posts as the issue with the codes, well that didn't work as a 3rd party vendor did test and indicated that he found the solution to be something different than the code would indicate... Did so by testing, but Geek Squad did not test.

Had 3 appointments before an actual repair was conducted, parts had to be ordered after 2 prior appointments, work that they did with the first round of parts ordered and "replaced" did not solve the issue, it remains and each time you are put down the appointment line for a follow up appointment. Instead of putting any "additional" return visits on a priority service level. This has taken about 3 weeks and the same problem that started this is still happening and I have another near 2 weeks to wait for the next appointment without knowing if the parts will come in on time, last time they didn't. No respect for your time, effort, financial impact to your work given what you have to do during what is traditional work hours as well as the long windows of "when" they should arrive. Really awful. Just want the machine they are suppose to know how to fix fixed.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Purchased an HP Chromebook in September 2020 with the one year Geek Squad protection plan. After three months of use the lid/screen lower right corner was breaking apart separating the screen from the lid causing a popping sound when closing the Chromebook. Created an appointment with Geek Squad at my local BestBuy in Citrus Heights on 12/28/2020. After waiting for over 20 minutes a gentleman came to the counter and asked who was next. This is where the poor customer service starts. Clearly I saw my name on the screen showing a 4PM appointment so instead of calling out my name he cuts me off to ask other customers when they were scheduled making it seem like I was cutting in line. My conversation lasted no more than 5 minutes after I advised of my situation.

Since I paid a year protection plan I opted to replace the computer and pay for the one year protection plan on the exchanged device. A day later on 12/29/2020 the new protection plan was canceled and was not notified until 12/30/2020 via email. Contacted Geek Squad at the phone number listed within the email. Followed the prompts within the phone tree to speak to someone that the wrong protection plan was cancelled. The old protection plan of the exchanged device should have been canceled, not the new plan that I purchased for $144.99. After being advised by the rep they were not able to assist me I was transferred to a different department. My call was then disconnected. Called back again and was advised of the same thing, call transferred to a different department and was connected to dead air/open mic that I can clearly hear background noises but no rep.

After waiting for over 10 minutes trying to see if the person would answer I received no response. Called Geek Squad back spoke to another rep who surprisingly could see the issue and confirmed the wrong protection plan was canceled but could not assist me correcting the issue and had to transfer my call. Call disconnected again after transfer. Called back again and at this time when a rep answered I asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager. Was advised since they are all working from home. They cannot connect me to a manager. Requested for the rep to connect me directly to someone who could assist me. After placing my call on mute for several minutes of dead air the rep came back, advised he had someone I can speak to, placed my call on hold for several minutes, then disconnected the call.

Called back again and spoke to another rep of which at this time I am extremely angry that they can treat a customer who spends thousands of dollars each year this way. Again asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager and was advised since they all work from home, he could not connect my call and that he could send a request for a manager to call back which could take up to 2 to 3 days. This is completely unacceptable customer service I received. The rep even started to raise his voice at me which you never do when a customer has experienced this kind of treatment as it only escalates the situation even more. I requested for the rep to refund me the $144.99 which advised can take up to 7 to 10 business days.

When I paid for the service it didn’t take 7 to 10 business days for the charge to show up on my BestBuy credit card. Asked the rep for his name and call reference number and will be watching for this refund to show up. After this experience with Geek Squad I will never waste my money on their so called protection plan when it’s clearly a rip-off and the people they hire are completely incompetent to resolve an issue.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had an appointment on 12/24/20 between 7a-1p for redirection of speaker wiring and to install 2 new ceiling speakers. The Tech never showed up, called, emailed, or texted me. When I called Geek Squad after 1p they told me that the Tech couldn’t find my address on his GPS and told me I need to reschedule for 2 1/2 weeks later. I have a tech support plan although they have no consideration for that after you pay them. I’ll never use these Jerks again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Geek Squad is simply a nicely branded product that sells you a promise but always fails to deliver. Firstly, good luck with getting a prompt repair appointment and when they do show up, it's always a 3rd party company. So basically, Geek Squad sells you their shiny 2/3/5 year maintenance plan and just outsource it when you need it. I had a refrigerator go bad, earliest appointment available was in 72hrs. Got a call from 3rd party company day before appointment telling me technician had an emergency call out on the day of my appointment and wont be able to make it. Sure, what could be more urgent than not having a place to store my child's milk. Pushed my appointment out by one day. In the mean time, I had food go bad and couldn't restock new items. Previous Geek Squad repair call I made was for a TV. Took 2 weeks just to have a technician take a look. Surely not the kind of maintenance plan you want to have if you ever need prompt service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

We bought a protection plan for our appliances. Our refrigerator stopped working so we called the Geek Squad. They said, "Oh, you will have to wait a couple of days for someone to call and schedule the repair." A couple of days later, we received a call, but they couldn't come for four more days. When the repair guy came we had been without a working refrigerator for one week. He walked in, listened for a couple of minutes and said, "Yep, that's the compressor. We don't repair that. Best Buy will call you in a couple of days." Then he left.

We decided to go ahead and call them back. They said that they didn't have any record of the repair request, but they would be glad to set up a repair. They tried to schedule with the same company that had been out earlier that day. When we explained that company could not repair it, they said they would contact us in a couple of days with a different repair person. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. An hour later we are still on hold, and listening to the same two songs over and over. I feel like Daryl listening to Easy Street. Really, this is the first time that we have had to use Geek Squad. We paid over $400 for the coverage for our appliances, and they do not honor their agreement to repair the appliance. This is not customer service. How can you pay $400 for a repair service, and then they don't make any effort to fix it. It is not worth the money to pay Geek Squad for appliance repair. Skip it, and pay for the repair yourself.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I had a one time purchase of Geek squad service last year to repair my computer at Fairmont Pasadena TX Best buy. I used my wife's Citi bank/best buy credit card for that. There was no agreement for auto renewal and we were not informed of any renewal this year. All I noticed was citi bank calling me and reminding me about a past due amount. I never keep any payments past due, so checked the account and realized that geek squad took 216 dollar for renewal of my service. Really? Called them to get the refund and they said they can only do partial refund only because we did'nt call in time. But there was no notification for renewal either. Now I have to pay 40 dollars plus 30 dollars late fee for the credit card. So I lost 70 dollars for nothing. Thanks best buy and geek squad. Keep cheating and stealing money from people.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We are APPALLED! To be given back a hard drive and lose over 1tb of photos (including all of our children's photos through the years, 10th wedding anniversary trip to Italy, trips around the world and more!!) and be told it's our fault?!? The flippin thing wouldn't even plug in to our computer! How the hell could we have done something?! Then leave my wife in tears and when she walks away, your Geek Squad manager in Sarnia, Ontario says "well that one's going to be a problem!" ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! We are going to the top with this!! Please provide where we can make a formal complaint against the Geek Squad manager at the Sarnia, Ontario location as well as who we need to talk to in order to discuss our case! Shaun & Tara **.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I bought the best Sony TV that Best Buy had and paid extra for the total 5 year Parts and Labor Warranty- highly recommended by Jeff, the Geek Squad Rep, who installed everything and did a great job. Now- my 4 day reservation for Repair has been canceled- Subcontractor AIG can't be here until Friday. And he admitted he will not have the parts. I PAID for a Geek Squad Warranty and want the Geek Squad truck with Trained personnel and all the repair parts. Or I want a new TV- which is what I was told would happen 3 years ago. I spent 3 hours on the phone and computer today. I talked to Alan and Debra at GEEK Squad and they transferred me to the subcontractor- AIG- where I spent 45 minutes with Richard and on hold.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team