Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

Brought my laptop in for fixing on LCD panel and was taken for a spin. I showed the Geek Squad crew my warranty I have through HP and they told me it was covered and that they were going to ship it and I'll have it back in no time. They sent me an email showing the price to repair but I didn't get my device. I went to pick it up and they had on my receipt that I paid $90 and I didn't pay anything. They told me I owed $402 but I was under the impression that my warranty would cover.

Geek Squad failed at being upfront about their prices. They would not release my computer until the balance was paid. I spoke with the Geek Squad manager which didn't help because all she kept saying was sorry for the miscommunication but sorry didn't get me anywhere. I also spoke with the store manager and he said even though they didn't do their job of telling me upfront that my warranty wasn't explained correctly and kept saying sorry. This was the worst experience I've gotten from Best Buy. I will not be returning to the Allen Park location again in Michigan.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have had a Geek Squad membership for several years. The few times I have needed them to trouble shoot connection problems or battery replacement they couldn't figure out how to help or what to do. Always polite but seriously incompetent.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I bought my refrigerator, washing machine & dryer, kitchen hood, cooktop, built in Oven from Best Buy along with a five year additional warranty in 2015. I've had trouble with my refrigerator ever since I bought it. Geek Squad or LG replaced my compressor twice and I still have issues with it. Geek squad have this policy to repair a particular appliance thrice before suggesting a replacement. I had a technicians coming multiple times to rectify this issue from Geek Squad but no result. In fact I had a technician have a look at my refrigerator couple of weeks ago (end of september 2020) who had a look at it and suggested a replacement. But Geek squad says I need to follow it up with LG and when I call LG, they say I need to get a notation from Geek Squad stating a replacement.

I am almost at the end of my 5 year extended warranty period. Now Geek Squad and LG are playing soccer with me. Not sure if they are trying buy time so that they could walk away from my issue. After a 5 hour long call with Geek Squad today on 10/19/2020, I got another appointment scheduled with LG now, I am guessing they will replace my compressor again. From next month i.e., November 2020, I will have to pay out of my pocket should something go wrong with my refrigerator as my 5 year extended warranty comes to an end. How justified it is to have a faulty refrigerator repaired multiple times and I paying the price after the warranty.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Geek Squad chat said Geek Squad could repair my trusted platform module on my VAIO laptop. Took it in, paid my fee, picked it up, but it wasn't fixed. Brought it back twice. They finally said they could not fix it and refused to give me my money back. Poorly trained technicians and lousy customer service. Not going back. Ever. Will tell several other people about his experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

So I am having major problems with my laptop, I thought going to geek squad online support would help. BUT nope they're pointless. It took them a good 5min to tell me they can't help. WOW so FAST. They're even FASTER taking your money every month but SO SLOW when it comes to helping their customer. Question? How do you call yourself online support when you can't even HELP the ppl that are online? How aren't you guys connect to charm. Might wanna do something about that. No one wants to be out in this pandemic and you guys choose not to help me. Pretty much gave me no choice but to leave my house. THANK YOU for being the worst support team online that I have EVER MET. Even company across the world have better support teams than you GEEK SQUAD!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I bought a subscription for help desk computer assistance. Both times I contacted them they never called me when they said they would. Total waste of money. They have no adequate response other than to tell customers to start over.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

WELL LET ME START WITH THEM BEING UNABLE TO FIX MY COMPUTER. INSTEAD SAYING NOT WORTH IT JUST BUY ANOTHER ONE WITH THEM. Then they double charged me for my yearly Geek squad package. They tell me they see I had an account that should be active because it's been under a year but unsure why it's not active. So I pay it again. Then they try calling me to renew the plan weeks later by an automated message saying click a number to authorize payment. So I'm gonna pay upwards of $500 for them to not even be able to fix my computer. I ask them to transfer data. They do. They just don't decode it so it's at least understandable. Wow. Con artist.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I have had a protection plan on my laptop for a few years. They told me to bring it in every 3-4 months for a tune up to keep it running at its best. Today I took it in and the guy said there is nothing he can do to it. I asked what they have done in the past and he said he didn't know and that was on them... even though he works for "them". Now trying to cancel this protection plan but that must be done over the phone. Tried to get through twice and both times after an hour and 1 min on hold, their system cut off my call. Will have to go through my credit card company fraud department to cancel my payments. Stay away from Geek Squad.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

This is the second “no show” in three weeks. Waste of time, great idea, very poor management and/or supervision. I am going to use my American Express and dispute the charges if I am given a hard time. If anyone wants a good business... there are real customers out there.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Geek Squad is normally ok but they do bundle and often are in a hurry so for more money. Magnolia can come out and clean up the mess. And if the installation was 20 years ago and even if it was a fire hazard you have to pay more to clean it up. Count your blessings. Your house did not catch on fire with all the extension cords used to connect your tv and stereo.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team