Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.5/5 (381 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: May 12, 2022

They are charging me for a subscription that I didn't order. I will be calling my attorneys and let them know what they are doing. It is a scam. Nobody answered the phone and I sent messages. Please beware of the scammers.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I've been standing in line 20 minutes and apparently have to make an appointment to pick up my own camera so they took other people that just walked up but their website won't let me make one because somehow my email address doesn't exist in their system even though I clicked the link from the email they sent me. There are 5 people working but the only thing they are doing is wasting time. It doesn't take 3 people plus the customer to not figure out how to NOT pair a smart watch to an iPhone. This is disgusting.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I was charged last year for a subscription I didn’t buy and they had to remove it and they have done it again, automatically renewing a membership I never purchased to begin with and telling me it can only be cancelled using my computer. I don’t have a computer at this time, only an iPad. I don’t know how a company can charge someone 329$ for a subscription they did not purchase, and to do this not once, but twice. I expect a full refund and my name off of whatever list it is on. I most definitely would not recommend getting involved in whatever scam this might be. Jenifer

Original review: April 16, 2022

The issue: the charger for an ASUS ROG gaming laptop (bought from Best Buy would be plugged in but constantly cycle through battery/power/battery/etc.) with an annoying notification constantly in the middle of the screen, rendering it useless. I tried to replace it with several universal charge cords over the course of a few months, but none of the pieces actually fit the port. Finally, I tried contacting Asus support to just order a replacement charge cord but ran into a brick wall saying I had to go to Geek Squad for service because I was out of warranty (by a few months).

So I went to the closest Best Buy, about an hour away. They used this tool to test and confirm the charge cord wasn’t working right, but they don’t have a replacement so it needed to be sent to the service center. A week or so later I get an email saying that the estimate changed, I need to call to discuss and approve the new amount before they can work on it. This is where it gets good…

I called, and spent an hour on the phone with an agent who swore up and down I was supposed to reply to the email that told me to call, there wasn’t anything she could do… So I gave up and called back later to try again... This time the rep could only tell me the amount and get my blind approval, not what work was being done. (It was now close to $400.) I kept insisting that I wanted to know why it was so high for a charger cord… he told me I’d get a breakdown when I pick the computer up. (Basically I have to blindly approve this amount first THEN find out what it was for?!)

I slept on it. The next day I tried again and was basically told the exact same thing. Out of frustration, I gave the approval. My son needs that computer for his coding classes, and I just wanted it done. In hindsight, I should have really pushed needing more info but it didn’t seem like that was going to be possible. Last weekend I go to pick it up… they hadn’t replaced the charge cord at all (and the charge light was showing it was still inconsistent/not working). More importantly, the computer wouldn’t even turn on at all!!!

Not only was the problem not fixed, it was in even worse condition! (I’ll repeat, it wouldn’t even turn on, as confirmed by the in store support!!!) For some reason, they replaced the keyboard, battery, and motherboard. No idea why they did all that but that but at least the in store tech was witness that they sent it back “still not working”. So they sent it back out to the service center.

Today I went back to pick it up again. Still had the original charger, again. It turns on again now, luckily, but it STILL is cycling through/not charging. Amazingly, they managed to find a universal charger that fit and… guess what, it worked!!! They were kind enough to give me that charger without charging extra for it, which I do appreciate. Truly I do. Would have been lovely to have started off getting a charger, like the only thing I asked for, but I digress. Of course I did have to pay the $$$ for the battery, keyboard, and motherboard (that I had no issues with) plus 2x an $85 service fee (yes, there was another $85 fee for that 2nd time when it was sent back to the service center because it wasn’t even turning on).

I’m not the “let me talk to the manager” type of customer. I’ve worked retail myself and I’m more the type to praise outstanding experiences but brush off the bad ones. Yet when it’s THIS awful, I can’t help but warn others. Strongly, do not recommend Geek Squad. Instead - try a local, independent repair shop or person who you can actually communicate with.

Original review: April 13, 2022

In 2019, I purchased a one year Geek Squad contract for service and repair. I brought in my Windows 7 OS laptop to get a Windows 10 upgrade installation. I left my laptop with the service person as he asked me to do so. They stole my digital information from my laptop and started sending me fraudulent bills for unauthorized purchases thereafter. I closed my credit card account on file with Geek Squad, so they would not be able to bill the fraudulent charges furthermore. This has not stopped them, they submit thousands of dollars worth of fraudulent purchases to my Paypal account now. My perception is that Best Buy (Geek Squad's physical location) as a corporation is on a very shaky grounds, so now they have entered this final phase of rampant fraud activities; certainly they will follow on footsteps of COMP USA.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I purchased a 2k camera from Best Buy in March. Bought the "Geek Squad" protection plan to be safe, which came handy two weeks later when the camera was acting up. Dropped off at Best buy, was told it can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks to be repaired. Watching the tracking info, states it was shipped out of state for repairs (which first off I thought was odd), then no update other than it was received by facility. I spoke with FOUR representatives, every single one giving me a different response on where my camera is. First rep said it would be ready for pickup by end of day, second one stated it was being sent to Best buy for pickup, third person said it was STILL BEING SENT to the facility out of state, and fourth rep has now told me it will be repaired by 04/18. I called asking to speak to supervisor and after being on hold for 15 minutes I was hung up on. I am absolutely livid. Will never use Geek Squad again.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I trusted the Geek Squad / Best Buy to fix my computer as I was getting 100's of emails a day. The Geek Squad took control of my computer and requested that I not get online for several days as they were building a fire wall. When I finally got online a lot of money was missing from my bank account. When I escalated this up the Best Buy chain I was told they can't do a thing for me. DO NOT USE THE GEEK SQUAD with Best Buy. Hackers can too easily gain access into your computer/bank account. Best Buy is basically claiming they are not accountable. The person who hacked into Best Buy/Geek Squad identified themselves as the Geek Squad and called from the Geek Squad 888 phone number.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I've been having multiple issues with my Sony TV since August of 2021. Nine month and 4 different technicians later and the problem still persists. One tech suggested to use Amazon Stick instead of the tv apps. Another one said maybe not to use my BOSE bar speaker so not to strain the tv. Another said to use a different audio cable instead of the HDMI. They keep rescheduling my appointments with no further notice. I get no courtesy call when they don't show up and they never ever call back back despite me always giving them my name and number. Not only is their protection plan a piece of garbage it's a total scam.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Called to cancel warranty. Goes directly to a recording “we are busy“. Cannot talk anyone!!!! Impossible to cancel, since they only give you 24 hours to cancel. I was already very hesitant to get the warranty in the first place.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Charge you $26+ for 5 years and when you decided to cancel they will charge you a $240 cancellation fee. Such a Big mistake, waste of money and it is useless. Do not get this Geeksquad, Best Buy staff will not provide all the info you need with this program.

Best Buy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

Geek Squad Company Information