1.15/5

Looking for a tech support service?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1236 Geek Squad Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

On March 19, 2019, I visited Best Buy to purchase a computer. After selecting the equipment, the Best Buy salesman convinced me to buy several options to protect and service my machine. Because I understood Best Buy was a reliable company I agreed and paid a little over $1,500.00 for a computer that was on sale for under $900.00. After purchasing the computer, the salesman stated that the computer would have to be given to their Geek Squad to complete service on the computer and that the service could take a day or two. I agreed, and after the salesman handed the computer over to an individual in Best Buy, I left.

On March 20, 2019, I received an email notice that I would be required to set up an appointment to pick up my computer. I could not simply go down and pick up what I had already paid for but was now required to set up an appointment. After considering this and thinking about a time to go down, I received a call from an individual from Best Buy who claimed he was with the Geek Squad. He did not call me to say my computer was ready and ask what time I would like to come down to pick up my equipment. He told me my laptop was available and offered me three times he had open that I would need to pick from to get it. As none of the times were convenient, I decided on the latest and least inconvenient time at 7:40 P.M. and rearranged my time accordingly.

I arrived early and waited. As I waited at the counter, 7:40 came and went. Then 7:45, 7:50, 7:55, and not one person approached me or was present for the appointment, an appointment I was required to make to receive the computer and services I had already paid for. I left. The point here was not that I had to wait for 10, 15 or 20 minutes. The point was, who knows how long I would have waited if I had stayed. It was the Geek Squad that demanded an appointment be set before I could pick up my purchase. I had rearranged my entire evening just so I could be at their store at a time they selected, to pick up what I had already paid for. And now, at their store, they were not present. They, who work at the store, could not arrange to meet me when they required I be there.

The next day I went back to the store mid-morning and asked to speak to a Best Buy Manager. I explained how after I was required to set up an appointment and no one else showed, I simply wanted my computer now. I stated that I would not set up another date and wished what I had bought be given me. The Best Buy representative who stated he was a manager went and retrieved another individual he claimed ran the Geek Squad unit. The manager said this man would help me.

As I followed the new individual over to their Geek Squad Desk, I did not receive an apology for their rudeness at not being available the previous night. Then I informed my escort that I wanted my $199.00 yearly service agreement canceled. The salesman who sold me this service had told me that this service has a recurring annual fee of $199.00. However, he also stated it could be canceled at any time and that many people cancel the service after their first year or when they had no more need for the service. I decided that based on an appointment that I was required to make, which the Geek Squad considered not important enough to make, that I could no longer rely on them or their service. Not wanting a recurring charge, I decided to cancel this yearly fee now while I had it on my mind.

As we walked to the Geek Squad counter, I informed the individual escorting me that I wanted to cancel the Geek Squad service agreement. At this point, the Geek Squad escort stopped in his tracks, turned to look at me with what could only be considered nothing less than a scowl and stated, ‘Fine, then we’ll charge you for every service we have performed on your computer.’ I was floored. First, the Geek Squad fails to show up for an appointment they require me to make, then the Geek Squad escort acts more like a thug with a tone of voice that suggests that he would prefer a backyard fight. In essence, he tells me ‘You want to cancel, then we’ll make you pay even more.’ Never did he offer an apology for the previous night, but a threat of more charges seemed appropriate to this man.

I’m not one who likes to be intimidated by anyone, not even a Geek Squad thug, so based on his threat, I told him, ‘Fine, then I want a complete refund. I have not received my computer yet and just changed my mind. I do not want it or any of your services.’ Only then did this man attempt to change his tactic from arrogant to nice, which did not impress me. When he realized I didn’t care about his phony play at trying to resell me the computer, he became arrogant again, twice smirking at me as if he thought the whole thing was a joke. Each I called him on it, ‘Oh, so you think this is funny?’ Only then would he drop his smile for a moment and claim he wasn’t mocking me.

His next tactic was his attempt to engage me in conversation of which I was not interested and insisted, again and again, a little louder each time that I just want the money I charged returned on my card. Up to this point, I had not received the computer and now only wanted a refund. The individual pretending to be helping me then stated in a threatening voice, as if I should fear him, ‘You need to calm down.’ I told him that I would not calm down until the money charged to my card was put back on my card. I did not threaten or use foul language or initiate any conversation. I only responded each time he opened his mouth in an attempt to steer the conversation to a side street of irrelevance. I was not interested in discussion, I only wanted a refund, and each time he spoke I responded. Just process my refund. I only spoke after each time he first opened his mouth.

Finally, he produced a printed sheet of paper that he claimed I needed to sign before I could receive a refund. I asked what the paper was. He stated it was an invoice that I had received the computer. ‘But I have not received the computer,’ I told him. ‘Why would I sign an invoice that I had received what I had not. That is a lie.’ He stated that once I signed the invoice, He would take me over to the cash register and give me my refund. As neither this man or anyone in Geek Squad had thus far given me any reason to trust in them or believe anything they said, I explained that since I paid for the computer, I have not touched, held, or in any way had possession of the equipment.

Why would I now sign a false invoice that stated I had. I told him I would not sign a false invoice. He then reverted to his thug attitude or arrogance, replying that unless I signed it, I would not receive a refund. I told him I would not sign it and demanded to speak with a manager. AT this point he stated that he was the manager of the Geek Squad and that the Geek Squad was his business, not Best Buy's. He claimed that the Geek Squad was a separate business from Best Buy. I COULDN’T BELIEVE MY EARS. I had purchased the computer and service agreements because I believed I was dealing with Best Buy, not some rogue computer service run by an arrogant thug.

All my dealing in purchasing the computer and computer services were with a Best Buy salesman. He never once stated or made clear that the Geek Squad was a separate business from Best Buy. If he had, I would not have agreed to any service agreement. I would have located my own computer expert to service my computer. I only decided to the services because I thought they were part of Best Buy’s offerings.

Now this thug who had switched from Mr. Nice to Mr. Thug, attempting to intimidate me, was informing me that He was in charge and that the Geek Squad was his business and not a Best Buy business. At the same time, he is stating that I will not receive a refund on a computer I bought at Best Buy from a Best Buy salesman. A laptop purchased from a company that claims it has a 14-day refund for return of merchandise. Here, this man was claiming, through his own statement, that he had complete authority over Best Buy, a company he claimed he was not a part of. His words and action showed he believed he was able to independently determine whether anyone got a refund or not from Best Buy.

Although he stated the Geek Squad was his own private business separate from Best Buy, it was clear he was acting on behalf of Best Buy by claiming authority over Best Buy’s mealy-mouthed manager who I first talked with who was off somewhere hiding during this interaction. It was also clear that Best Buy promoted and backed the Geek Squad by pushing their services and selling the same without making clear any separation existed. The fact is, without Best Buy, the Geek Squad would not be.

And why would I not receive a refund for the over $1,500 I spent on the computer I had never yet received? Because I would not sign a fraudulent invoice stating that I had received what I had not. This whole request for me to approve a phony invoice reeked of a fraudulent act. Whatever the ulterior motive of this thug was I have no clue, but I certainly would not sign onto his lie.

Also, this entire experience has me wondering who really runs Best Buy? It indeed wasn’t the Best Buy manager who apparently had run to hide in a corner while I was left to deal with this thug. It was the Thug who claimed if I did not sign the false invoice, I WOULD NOT RECEIVE A REFUND. Did Best Buy decide that rather than running their own stores and issuing refunds they would now hire thugs to take over the Geek Squads, who could intimidate Best Buy customers who they do not care for? And why was the emphasis on me signing what amounts to a fraudulent invoice to give me a refund?

The salesman who represented Best Buy never told me that the Geek Squad was a separate business. When the same salesman walked my computer to the individual at the Geek Squad at Best Buy, that man never stated that now I would be dealing with a different company. During the entire process, I believed I was dealing with Best Buy. Not until the final confrontation was I told by this thug that I was not dealing with Best Buy but with his own company. Yet, this same man had the authority to deny me a refund assured by Best Buy’s own policy, because I would not sign a phony invoice? You cannot claim you are a separate entity after the fact and then hold power over the previous business as though your authority supersedes both businesses.

It was clear I was upset during this episode; However, my words were focused on only one statement which I repeated over and over again. ‘Just process my refund.’ I did not call anyone names, nor did I cuss or swear. I did not want a conversation. I wanted the money I charged put back on my card. That was all.

But now, knowing that the Best Buy, store number 0210, located on South Wadsworth in Littleton, Colorado, is actually run by thugs from their Geek Squad unit, I would not do business with them again.

The store is clearly overseen by an individual who claims he is not part of Best Buy. How crazy is that? (Great deniability for Best Buy isn’t it.) I will also warn others against using this Geek Squad service which Best Buy pushes. There are plenty of individuals and companies around who have the technical experience to service computers. A person does not need to be forced into surrendering their dignity and rights to a Best Buy, or Geek Squad, which is run by a Thug who appears to believe that fraud is a way of doing business. Who, when he can’t sweet talk someone, attempts to intimidate others by his size and voice inflection.

The bottom line was that even as he stated that he was processing my refund, his ulterior motive was that I should sign a false invoice claiming I had received a computer, which I had not received. When I first asked him why I would need to sign a false invoice, the only explanation he offered was that I had to sign it to get a refund. That is not an explanation for signing a fraudulent invoice, and so because he could not give me a reasonable, honest answer, I did not sign it.

I guess in today's business climate it is not the customer who counts; it is the ego and fraudulent nature of those who claim they are in charge. While the individual who claimed he was a Best Buy manager was nothing more than a symbol of weakness, the real figurehead at the time of my visit to this Best Buy was their Geek Squad Thug. Having spent quite a bit of money at Best Buy over the years, I will not pay any more. Respectfully, Jacob

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a 40" or so 4K Samsung TV and when checking out was upsold on the Geek Squad protection. I was informed that the protection covers accidental drops, which was great for my case as I was getting the TV for gaming and move my TV sometimes. During one of my trips, the Screen cracked but I was assured as I had my Geek Squad coverage for this. When I went in to start the process for Geek Squad protection, I felt like an idiot as the employees and managers kept telling me I was informed incorrectly and that this is not covered. No solutions or anything. Just stuck with my cracked TV.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Best Buy for years. In that time I have purchased 3 computers, tablets, phones, televisions, etc. The person I used for computer work left the store, (Abe) and I was left with what was geek squad members that were available in the store. (Longmont) I called and spoke to Jennifer, who told me to call back and talk to Russ. Russ refused to return my calls. When I confronted him in person, he very rudely told me that "he did not do phone support." He would not answer my questions, and could obviously care less.

The people behind the counter were not knowledgeable, and could also care less, even less than Russ. Why Best Buy has a geek squad is beyond me. Their rudeness and lackadaisical, lazy attitude is unbelievable. I think they are hired by their level of stupidity and outright rudeness. I have since bought a new computer and printer elsewhere, where the sales people were pleasant and knowledgeable. I will never, ever, buy another item from Best Buy.

Original review: March 11, 2019

After answering a lengthy list of automated questions, you are disconnected. The Live agent on their website is a joke too. A few questions are answered and the agent disappears and does respond to any questions or a request to call (even though you have to give her your cell # to begin the live chat). What a racket!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Geek Squad is my best technical help on the internet that I can possibly receive for my money's worth. Be sure and call for Geek Squad service rather than going to online chat line. Best Buy Geek Squad even rebuilt a computer for me and described the parts needed and where to get them. I cannot give thanks enough to a great group of techs. They are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Every time they work on my computer, I learn something from that experience. If I could give better than 5 stars, I would. They are awesome and recommend them to work on any computer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: March 4, 2019

I brought my laptop computer to the Geek Squad at the Orillia, Ontario location for repair, as it would not charge. I was told it was the motherboard, and would cost approx $1000, I took it to Northern Protocol for a second opinion, and they advised it was a little switch that was broken and fixed it for $60! I will never go to Geek Squad again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased a 55 inch Toshiba television (55lf621u19) from Best Buy in Sept. 2017; the TV's manufacture date was May 2017. Well, about a week ago I was watching TV when the picture died - still had sound, just no picture. I contacted Toshiba customer service and they said that due to the age of the TV it was still under warranty. They scheduled an appointment for a repair person to come out and take a look and the TV would be repaired or replaced. Appointment day arrives and I get a call from the repair person to confirm information over the phone. They call again about an hour before they are set to arrive, and indicate based on the information provided that there is nothing they can do. The TV isn't under warranty. So, lesson is: if you get barely more than a year out of your brand new TV - I guess you're supposed to consider yourself lucky. Neither Toshiba nor Best Buy are willing to address this situation satisfactorily.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Total waste of money...getting the run around now over cell phone warranty. Went to the store, they sent me away...said to do it online for replacement. Tried to process online, unable to process. Called the number. After being on the phone for over 20 minutes and hardly understanding the agent, I was told we had to go to the store to process. I told him we already did, he said that that's what the store will tell you...to first go online, then you may be referred back to the store!! WHAT!! That's ridiculous! Save your money. I would never buy the Geek Squad warranty again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I paid a few hundred dollars for full Geek Squad services on all my electronic devices. And so far they told me my printer was not fixable and neither was my laptop of 2 years of age which was barely used. I recycled the printer and bought the same one online since I had just spent $60 on new ink when I recycled the cheap home printer. Had the same problem with the 2nd printer. Turns out the print head is depositing ink inside the printer and various things can be done manually to clean different parts of the printer to make sure excessive ink isn't released and to make sure it's plugged into a live outlet and not a power strip and to rarely do cleanings through the printer program. None which was done at Best Buy.

Then I took a chance of setting my laptop back to factory settings. Fixed what obviously was a software issue that they were too lazy to look for while having my computer for over a week. They never even offered to set it back to factory settings for me. I paid a hefty sum for their services so I wouldn't have to take hours to do that. He told me I needed a new laptop and that it was outdated and that was the reason it ran so slow. Made no sense to me since it was only 2 years old and I hardly used it and had barely nothing stored on it and no added programs. I think they have unqualified, lazy people working there and only want you to upgrade your electronics. This was the NE Philadelphia, PA location both times.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Based on my own experience, it just come up with a few words. SAVE THE INSURANCE MONEY TO BUY A BETTER MODEL. Don't ever think to buy extended insurance. It won't help if your TV or appliance broken down. They are not able to fix it since the technicians are not well trained. When you put on a service order, they just show up and say something that is not able to repair or it is not covered by insurance. Or you may have to wait a long long time and say it cannot be fixed. But they are not going to give you a replacement. DON'T BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY IS THE BEST BET WHEN YOU BUY A NEW TV. It may be better to bring your TV to recycle when it broken down.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Feb 15 12:15 pm They've had my laptop since Feb 7 am. I needed all my stored data moved from iCloud to OneDrive. Rec'd an email on 2/13 am to call them on 203-985-0079 to provide some add'l information but phone system does not have an option to be transferred to a tech. It keeps telling you to check repair status online but status hasn't been updated since Feb 13 8:30 am. Impossible to deal with a company that does not want to speak to its customers. I will never use or recommend Geek Squad EVER.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

They are a nightmare to deal with... They will not answer their phones and give you the run around when you try and find out what is going on with the computer you gave them for repair... NO one to talk to that cares anything about you... They just try and sell you more PROTECTION that is absolutely worthless!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

What a waste!! Their telephone number(s) do not work, goes directly to a busy signal each time I try and call... Buyers beware, they are probably going out of business! I tried to on-line chat, that didn't work either... He was too busy, but I did ask that he call me since none of the phone lines are working. He finally called, and - BUT - didn't speak english!!! Beyond frustrated and angry. Said he would call back in ten minutes with someone else - never happened. Done with Geek Squad, time to report you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I will never ever buy Geek Squad plan anymore. They will not fix anything. They will waste your time and make Things worse. Just cancelled my phone and my wife’s phone and tv because they never helped every time I call.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Home theater install more like home theater damage. Do *not* let these people near your house. Trying to install speaker wire behind a wall they drilled right through an exterior wall not once but twice. Gave me an insurance claim number from Sedgwick their provider but after one attempted call from their claim specialist, she emailed asking for photos of damage and an estimate for repairs from contractor of my choosing. Did that and now I can't get the specialist to call me back or answer my voicemail/emails.

Called the regional Geek Squad manager informing him of this and he (Joe) won't call back either. After initial contact with Joe he said they would "take care of me." Played the transfer game calling Best Buy customer service only to be transferred into Sedgwick general voicemail box. I had been very calm throughout this until the last VM into Sedgwick general VM box, now I'm peeved (off).

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Geek Squad hung up the phone on me 5 times. 1/27/2019 they were to come out and fix our tv. They did not have a order. They have came out to fix our tv six times. Netflix won’t work after 1 am. They have been out to fix the problem once before still doing the same thing. They will not give us a new tv. They keep trying to fix it and we have to keep calling. I would not waste my money buying their plan. They are so rude and they want us to buy a new plan. They are so nasty. I don’t think I will ever buy anything from Best Buy again and I have a credit card with them. They are a sorry company Best Buy and Geek Squad.

I don’t spend my money like that for people to hang up on me. Called back today. They had me on hold for 1 hour and 45 mins and no one came to the phone. I hung up. I have wasted a lot of time. Waited 1/27/19 from 4-6 pm waiting for them and never came. Today I wasted another hour and 45 mins trying to get my tv fixed that I paid over 2,000 for and it’s not a good tv. I could of got a tv from Walmart. In that case Best Buy and Geek Squad is a sorry company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I bought a Samsung Smart TV from Best Buy and took an additional 4 year Geek Squad protection. After 9 months my TV stopped working and Samsung was unable to repair it. I tried hard to take Geek Squad appointment but they are not ready to even check the problem. A lot of hold time is being faced on the calls. In spite of holding for so long they are not providing any solution. I request all the customers of Best Buy and any other companies not to buy Geek Squad Protection Plan as it is totally fake. Waste of money and time. I think it's a all fake.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought my 65 inch Sony tv from Best Buy in West Monroe, Louisiana and added 5 year Geek Squad protection plan. One year and 2 months later my TV went out. Called Geek Squad number today 1/19/2019 and waited on assistant several different times for brief holds. He said earliest they could work on my tv was Feb 5th. He was sending an email with SMA order number and certificate in an email to me. Nothing was ever sent. I am now going to contact Best Buy and inform them of just how pitiful Geek Squad protection plan is and demand my reimbursement for paying it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Paid for a virus one time fix. 3.5 hours later, my files deleted for work software, my virus protect gone, personal files gone. Called customer service. They said they never worked on my computer even though I had bill for 166.00 and screenshots of work while they were on my computer. I got hacked and robbed!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have a laptop I love, the battery stopped reading my charger after a year and a half so I sent it in, they returned with new charger and new connector port. Still --still not charging after one use even with new cord and port, sent back they sent it back with another a new cord...but fixed nothing writing that it needed a new cord. That was not the detailed issue on the slip sent with it so I will use it till it dies again and take it back for a third time. I had even left the barcodes on the computer so they could look up the old ticket.

They think I am inept enough to not realize a new cord might have fixed it and bought a new cord and returned it after it didn't solve the problem the first time?? They have had my computer a total of three weeks and I feel like it was a joke and I am sure I will probably be sending it back again soon because that is my option. I paid to have things fixed/covered and I feel like they don't take their job seriously and want to make certain the problem is fixed. I would not buy a protection plan again...not sure it was worth the money at all for the number of times I have had to go back and the sheer frustration.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Words can not describe how aggravated I am with the Geek Squad protection plan. To start it off first our Two year old Samsung washer breaks on November 26, 2018. I was little upset about it but I paid for the protection plan so I wasn’t worried. So I called Best Buy and they said they were going to send someone out. So the man comes out and he doesn’t even know how to fix the washer so at this point I’m back at square one so I call Best Buy. Kindly told them the issue I had with the repair guy and they said they would schedule someone else to come out but little did I know they scheduled the same man to come and he canceled because what was the point but what put the icing on the cake is no one ever contacted me to tell me he had canceled.

So At this point I am furious because I specifically asked the Geek Squad agent, "Would it be a different repair person?" and he of course said yes it would. Well apparently not. So I am on the phone with Best Buy and they tell me that they will have to find another third part person to fix my washer and it will take about a week to find one so at this point I'm going ok three weeks without my washer. So finally they send someone out. He came. Order the parts but he said he couldn’t come back to fix the washer til the New Year so he schedule me for today January 8th. So to fast forward to today he gets here. Starts to fix the washer and now he tells me he has ordered the wrong part and won’t be able to come back til January 24th so I have been without a washing machine for 7 weeks.

On the day he came back to fix the washer and now because you ordered the wrong parts I have to wait another two weeks. At this point I will be going 9 weeks without my washer. Sorry for the long paragraphs but I paid almost two hundred dollars for this protection plan so for me to be going on nine weeks without a washer it is ridiculous!!! With that being said I will never purchase “anything!!!” from Best Buy again and if I do I won’t be buying the Geek Squad protection. I recommend anyone who is looking to purchase it to stay. It's a waste of money. Just buy the protection plan directly from the manufacturer.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Purchased a Macbook from Best Buy. Salesman pitched the AppleCare+ to take care of any accidents. My son spilled some water on the key board and I could no longer log in to the computer. Made an appt. with Geek Squad and they sent the computer out for repair. Received a call that I needed to pay $299 (on top of the $250 I paid for the AppleCare) for them to “continue with the servicing of the computer”. Received a call a few weeks later asking for...Get this, $1499 to complete the repairs. So in all for the $799 Macbook I purchased, these thieves took $500 more and wanted another $1499 to fix it. GFY Best Buy. And anyone who purchases the Geek Squad coverage, sorry you had to waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased a new computer from Best Buy and then purchased the Geek Squad yearly package to take care of my computer and other technology. I paid to have them come out and set up my new computer and transfer my data from my old computer to my new computer. When they completed their work and left I started working and noticed that my contacts were missing. Then I have several email accounts and all but one of the accounts disappeared. They came back out and the technician said that there must be a corrupt file and needs to go to their store for repair. Off it goes and after several days I called to see the status of the repair. I would be on hold through Best Buy waiting for someone from Geek Squad to answer the phone.

After 20 minutes the call was disconnected. They do not answer their phone! I then drove 20 miles to check on the computer and when I got there they said they were still working on it. I waited several more days and then had to drive back up there because again, they would not answer the phone. I then sat on the stool at the store for 6 hours waiting for them to fix my computer. Finally, I get it back bring it home and hook it all up. Everything is fine except one of my email accounts and contacts. I called the phone number for their remote service. They worked on my computer for 4 hours and made it worse instead of solving the small problem. I gave up and asked for a refund of my annual payment.

Well, it was the 31st day so I missed the 30 day window for a refund so they said I had to talk with the store. I have stopped by the store and the manager has not been there to help me. I have sent two letters and they have not called me to even discuss the issue. I have hired another company who came out and resolved all of my issues in a couple of hours and I paid them $340 for their work. It has been over two months now and I have not heard one word from anyone at Geek Squad. Please do not trust this company with your computer... This is the worst business experience I have ever had. If I could give it less than 1 star I would...

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I got an quote for home theater work to be done in my house. The quote included "double charges" on work to be done. They could not give me an intelligent, articulate explanation. Instead the guy who came out was shifty, shady, deceptive and downright dishonest regarding an explanation. In other words, Geek Squad are scammers! Please be careful! Thank God I did not fall for this kind of deceptive, dishonest quote for work. I found another home-theater installer able to do the job 39% cheaper! A savings of hundreds of dollars for me. Please be careful. Do NOT use Geek Squad! Go with someone honest.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

First not sure how quality Lenovos are for the money you spend. My husband gave me the Yoga i7 just last year for Christmas. Just three weeks ago it started overheating and would not always wake up when the computer would open or keys were touched. So I would have to manually power down. He purchased the 5 yr extended warranty being told, if "their" Geek Squad could not fix the problem then Best Buy would replace it.

Of course took it in today. I was lucky enough that the computer did exactly what I explained, hot and wouldn't wake up. Tech grabbed the computer. Proceeded to tell me it was going to be $200 and 2 weeks. I said, "Wait a minute, I have an extended warranty", in which he would have known if he took the time to ask me my name and look at my account. He then still continued to try and take the computer and tell me it would take 2 weeks. I tried to ask about the "we can't fix we replace" warranty, and he just said that it was their policy to send them out.

Called Geek Squad corporate, they agreed they should have replaced it if they couldn't fix it. He made notes, gave me a confirmation and said I could go back up and get it replaced. I asked if I made another trip that I would leave with it fixed or replaced and he confirmed, yes. Went back up. Spoke with a different tech. He too tried to tell me they were going to ship it out and that is according to warranty.

I explained to him I spoke with an CS at Geek Squad and to look at the notes that he made. He continued to tell me that is not their policy before even looking at the notes. I asked him to just read the notes that Roberto wrote. All of a sudden he "read" the notes, and said "Yeah I see them, so your warranty is we have to ship it to Arkansas to have it fixed, if they can't you will get a replacement". I said that is not what Roberto said and asked what the notes indicated. He the proceeded to tell me he accidentally deleted them and could not retrieve them.

WHAT THE HECK!!! I said, "Fine. I will call corp again". Called while I was standing right there, and got a very rude CS who told me they ship it and that is their policy. Got to my car ticked off, called Geek Squad CS again and spoke with a (supposedly) supervisor. He apologized that Roberto told me to go back and he told me the same crap. However, found out that if they can't fix it they give you a "voucher" for the value of your computer. First, he said it was based on the value of what the computer is currently, then said it was for what the value of what I purchased it for.

In my opinion I feel Geek Squad is a scam that their job is to mainly sell these warranties more than fixing the items themselves. I told all 5 people today at Geek Squad that they are selling these warranties and not telling customers the full story and need to stop misleading people. $1500 computer within a year should have been fixed today or replaced! SCAM, SCAM, SCAM. I wish someone would look into their whole business after reading so many complaints that are very similar.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Had issue with tablet purchased few months before. Geek Squad would not send it to their repair facility. Said I have to send it to the manufacturer at my own expense. Geek Squad was not able to do a thing to resolve my issue! Also you have to make an appointment just to talk to them! Geek Squad does not take "walk-ins!" Do not waste your time with them!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I called to make an appointment for in home appliance repair. It would take 5 days to someone to come out. Then the day before the appointment, they changed the time. The original time was for 8 a.m. to 12 p.m, and they modified it to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I was then told it would be 2-3 days before I would be contacted for a reschedule. After two days of waiting with no phone call, I called for another appointment. Now, I have to wait 5 more days for another appointment! When I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told that was not possible because the repair is done through a service company. If this is what the Geek Squad calls good customer service, I would hate to see bad service!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I ordered appliances from Best Buy in Savannah, delivered by the Geek Squad. The first delivery had the over the range microwave come in white instead of the black stainless color it was supposed to be. The dishwasher had a crease at the bottom. Being I am disabled, I had to hire someone to do the install for me. Being I only have a fan above my range now. I had to order another shorter cabinet so microwave could be installed. I am being charged a trip charge by my installer who can't get out here until after the first of the year. After being hung up on numerous times today. The Geek Squad will send me a $50 dollar gift card. I was told after at least 3 hours of trying to resolve the issue, that it wasn't their problem. DON'T EVER HAVE THE GEEK SQUAD MAKE A DELIVERY FOR YOU. TOTALLY A WASTE OF TIME.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I went in Saturday for an appointment to get my iPhone screen fixed on my phone. The guy looks at my phone and tells me I have water damage. I told him I did not have water damage, I only broke my screen. He insisted I had water damage and another guy came out to tell me my phone had water damage. I told him the same, it did not have water damage. He had me sign a waiver stating that my phone could be ruined if it had water damage, but I was sure it didn't. Another guy came out and finished the transaction by charging me $149. I was told it would be ready within an hour and half. I walked around for 5 minutes and went back to retrieve my phone.

Something told me they were not being honest. I got a refund and took my phone to the iPhone store in Manhattan Beach. I spoke to the manager Jason, who explained that my phone could have water damage. Celeste assisted me in the repair and opened my SIM card to show me what to look for if my phone had water damage. She showed me a white dot which meant there was no water damage to my phone. She explained if it were red, that meant damage, but mine was white.

So please beware of the Geek Squad in El Segundo. They don't know what they're talking about and they probably were going to try and scam me out of more money, claiming I had water damage, when I did not. Go to the Apple store because they charge the same $149 and they are very professional. It only took them 1 hour to repair my phone.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Do not use Geek Squad!!! I sent my phone to them after I dropped it and they kept sending me refurbished phones back, with something clearly wrong with them. After I had to send the second phone back they wanted me to send it first, without a replacement phone so I would be unable to attend to my business or reach my children for days on end. I had to pay them 200 each time (on top of the monthly payment) and still do not have a phone that works. Best Buy should be ashamed to promote them.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals