3.27/5
Based on 1,539 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad

Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Sony 4K TV which came with a soundbar approx 2 years ago. The soundbar worked for approx 6 months, and then stopped working and we recently contacted Geek Squad (who initially installed it) in an attempt to rectify the situation. We started by calling 1-800-433-5778 which was a joke - passed from person to person and after 10 minutes on hold, line went dead. We tried to call the (Burlington, Ontario) store but we couldn't get anyone to pick up in 3 separate attempts. Finally, we drove to store and Geek Squad Rep was easy to deal with and booked us a next day appointment for a home visit.

Jason and Andrew showed up on time, were efficient, professional and had the problem corrected within 30 minutes or so - I particularly appreciated their patience and understanding as they took the time to answer any questions I had. Jason and Andrew are GREAT representatives for the Company and I really hope Best Buy can do something tangible and meaningful for them in the way of recognition. Simply put, they are the reason I will most certainly call Geek Squad next time I require audio/visual/computer assistance.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I took my computer that was knock out due to a lightning strike and to see if it could be fixed but it was fried. What the Geek Squad did do for me is load all my old stuff from my fried computer into a new one I bought there for a good deal I might add. And only charged me $80.00. So with the headache I was looking at without all my info and they got it done in only 2 day. Very impressed. Thank you Geek Squad in Farragut TN for a job well done.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I had bought a Samsung NU8500 65" Curve TV from Best Buy and I went ahead and bought the extended 5 yr. warranty with it for like 300.00 more and after 7 months of having the TV there popped up a red vertical line on the left side of the TV. So I called Geek Squad and they came over to my home and diagnosed it as a bad display and ordered me a new one so I had to wait another week and a half for it to come in.

They then came back and replaced the display and put the TV back together and after getting it back on the TV mount stand of mine they turned it on and no red line and I have my TV back and everything works. I am glad I had them and I had nothing to worry about knowing the Samsung company covered the warranty and I still have my 5 year warranty as well. Thanks! Geek Squad.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Geek Squad is my best technical help on the internet that I can possibly receive for my money's worth. Be sure and call for Geek Squad service rather than going to online chat line. Best Buy Geek Squad even rebuilt a computer for me and described the parts needed and where to get them. I cannot give thanks enough to a great group of techs. They are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Every time they work on my computer, I learn something from that experience. If I could give better than 5 stars, I would. They are awesome and recommend them to work on any computer.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My computer crashed. Data was not available. Talked into sending it to Best Buy's Geek Squad despite a previous experience that was not positive. BIG MISTAKE. This was a business computer, that we use every day. They charged me $150. To rush the work. They had my computer for 3 weeks... That is not a rush to me. Were hard to reach to find out anything, unresponsive to contacts with them. I WILL NEVER USE THE GEEK SQUAD AGAIN. I am sure I could have had a local computer person recover my data in very short order and they would have kept me informed as to progress. Awful experience again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

We purchased Geek Squad Insurance for three new cell phones thru Best Buy. We decided to get the Insurance which we pay $13.49 per phone per month. Nearly 2 years later we tried to make a claim on one phone. First call to Geek Squad we were told we had to go back to Best Buy to make the claim, then at Best Buy we were told a claim had to be made on line thru Geek Squad, which at that time were given a claim number and were told they would get back to us. Finally after waiting a few weeks I called their 1800 number. Telling them what the problem was with the phone Patrick (the Rep) said they would be mailing us a new phone. Well that was easy.... until he mentioned he was going to Bill our credit card $650.00. I asked him why and his response was, "Well we are sending you a new phone."

I told him I was NOT paying $650 for a new phone as that’s why we had been paying for full coverage. He then told me I had a second option, which was they would send new phone but it would take 7-10 days and I would only be charged a $250.00 deductible. At no time were we told of any deductible and again told him that I was not paying that and I proceeded to CANCEL all insurance with them. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have bought an Apple devices and now a dishwasher through Best Buy and have the extended plan guarantee and I am right now having problems and to get hold of Geek Squad is difficult. I hold twice for more than 20 minutes and to told me that I had to call the manufacturer of the dishwasher and I had to hold another 20 minutes to get hold of them which then they have a geek squad to call you and make an appointment the next day and finally have someone coming. I am not planning in getting anything with an extended guarantee in Best Buy or have a geek squad.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I replaced my HP laptop with a HP Pavilion 360 at Best Buy October 23, 2019. I purchased a Geek Squad service agreement for $199.99. The monitor I had been using on my old laptop would not work on my new one. I contacted Geek Squad support twice to troubleshoot without success. I thought I would try and troubleshoot the problem myself. In the process my screen went blank. I called Geek Squad again for assistance without success. The agent asked if I would like to have a technician come to my house. I said yes. She said he would be there on December 26th. I thought she was kidding, she wasn't. I said I could not wait for two months. In frustration I decided to take my laptop back to Best Buy. When I unplugged my monitor my screen came back to life. My point is, buying the 24/7 support agreement was a serious waste of money.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been using Geek Squad for over 5 yrs and now they are using techs from foreign countries with any phone help that I cannot half the time understand. When I ask for a tech that lives in the USA they keep sending me to a foreign person who lives in another country and it starts all over again. Even when typing with them I cannot understand what they are telling me most of the time.

I feel we as customers should have the right, When I ask for an American who lives here to speak to and who lives in the USA but they DO NOT GIVE ME one and then it is a mess again taking of my time and a waste of my $$ because I should have the right to speak to a person who I can understand instead of trying to understand what someone who doesn't speak the correct English without a slang that is hard to understand and makes it too hard to get anything fixed or done plus keeps my time adding up of use trying to understand. Trying to understand someone who doesn't know our slang etc to communicate correctly with us who live here and we who don't speak their other languages or have the time it takes to communicate with them trying to understand them and paying for this mess that isn't helping at all. GET SMART GEEK SQUAD before your long term clients move on to someone else!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I recently took my 5 month old I phone to the Geek Squad for what I thought was a battery replacement issue. Because it was only 5 months old, it should be covered under the 1 year Mfg warranty. After an hour, a representative comes out and tells me the battery is cracked and it is not covered under the original warranty because this appears to be drop damage. I ask the representative to show me the external damage that would have to happen to drop the phone with such force that the protected battery would crack. He told me there wouldn't necessarily be external damage. Then he tried to sell me a new phone and told me he couldn't give me back my old one because it was hazardous. After a not so pleasant exchange, I was able to get my NEVER BEEN DROPPED iPhone back from him.

I left there and went to the Apple Store and although I had no appointment and waited in their queue for 2 hours, I left with a new iPhone which I am entitled to under the warranty. I asked the Apple Store rep if there was any possible way I could drop my iPhone with such force that the battery would actually crack and yet there would be no external damage at all to the phone? "Absolutely not", he said and went on to make a great point... "We wouldn't sell very many iPhones if that was true, would we." He also went on to tell me that the warranty itself states that if no external damage can be detected, the phone should be replaced. Apple authorized the Geek Squad to repair their products because they are more convenient than the Apple Store but they should rethink that strategy. The Geek Squad's poor performance and customer service will reflect on Apple - whether they like it or not. This incident happened at Best Buy in Gateway Brooklyn.

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals