Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.7/5 (633 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Absolute worst customer service – please read before thinking about purchasing this protection plan. I have been paying into Geek Squad's cellphone protection plan since I purchased my phone (almost 2 years now). I physically damaged my phone and I called to begin the process of them sending me a new phone (the service this company provides for paying monthly into their plan). Geek Squad charged me some $1,800 to my credit card and told me I would receive a new phone in 3-5 business days. 9 business days passed and I still did not receive the phone I paid for. I called to inquire and I was told that the request was cancelled. That’s it, no explanation as to why it was cancelled & no one notified me to tell me, I had to reach out to them when I realized my new phone had not arrived.

Not only this, but Geek Squad did not reverse the $1,800 payment, my bank had to file a dispute claim against them to receive the money that was taken for the phone that was not given to me. 2 months this process took. I tried to open a new claim since the last one was “cancelled” as my phone was now in unworkable condition - it would no longer charge. They told me they cannot open a new claim as the new one is still open – an issue that is in NO way my own doing. Essentially I was stuck. They would not open a new claim, they would not send me a new phone, and they were not reimbursing my bank the $1,800 that was charged. I had to purchase a new phone after spending days and hours speaking with different representatives and at this point I was so exhausted from explaining my story to people who were unable to do anything for me. It came to the point where I told them I need to speak to a supervisor and that I am not explaining my story again to anyone but them. They would not give me a number and told me that the supervisor would contact me in 24-28 hours.

6 days it took, and I was working so I missed his call and was unable to call him back since they don’t provide a call back number. August 9th, 2022 – 2 months and 3 days after this process began – was I finally able to speak with a supervisor. And what did he do for me? Nothing. No reimbursement for the money I was forced to spend on a new phone. No reimbursement for the money I spent over the last 2 years for this waste of a “protection plan”. And no reimbursement for the time, energy, stress and exhaustion I have expended over the last 2 months with a unfunctional phone. I cannot say it enough. If you don’t want the headache, stress and hell of having to fight with a company daily to receive what you are rightfully entitled to, DO NOT purchase Geek Squad. I am switching right back to Apple Care, something I should have done from the beginning.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Best Buy is a great shopping resource as long as you don’t need to return or repair something. Getting a qualified repair person scheduled much less actually completing acceptable work has been a nightmare. We’ve had multiple repairs and the issue is still not resolved. The latest claim has been in process for almost a month with the repair company calling to cancel 3 times already. Even though I requested a new company, the Geek Squad had the same repair company pick up the ticket again and now we are going through the same cancel/reschedule process. Do yourself a favor and find a better warranty.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2022

This is a little bit dated, but I had to get it out there. I purchased a laptop through Best Buyback in November of 2018 and I purchased the 3-year protection plan through Geek Squad for it. I was really glad to make the investment into it as there were two separate times I utilized it. The first was when the original charger that came with my laptop had some exposed wiring from being ran over by chairs too much. This laptop was both my gaming machine as well as my daily driver for grad school, so I needed to be able to keep it working. The rep that met with me put in a claim to see if they could purchase me a new one.

Unfortunately, they weren't able to find anything. However, I was told by the same rep that if I was able to purchase one directly from the manufacturer I would be reimbursed by the plan for the purchase cost. They gave me the info I needed, purchased the new charger, submitted the documentation required, and within a month, I received the check for the new charger. It really helped out at a time where money was scarce to get that back! The second time I used the plan was late last year, about a month before it was up. I noticed some stress cracks were forming. I took it back to Geek Squad, and within a week it came back good as new! It's definitely a plan worth getting on those expensive pieces of tech that you want to last a long time.

Original review: July 6, 2022

Updated on 07/07/2022: I have looked at my receipts again and found that my repair was in 90 days warranty and when I asked that associate or manager named Ali to send it back to be checked (something that another team member suggested to me when I was there earlier in the day), the associate/manager refused then tried to charge me another 79 CAD for it (not telling me at all it is still in the warranty). I tried to cancel my membership after such a bad/traumatizing experience (for an honest, well-to-do, very busy working professional for all this drama) as I can't see myself ever walking to that store again after being kicked out and told to go to another store, they charged me 180 CAD for a cancellation fee.

So I am out 260 CAD, my laptop is still not connecting to my home network, utterly humiliated and traumatized, and I feel cheated and helpless. Honestly at this point, the money lost doesn't compare to the time or peace of mind lost. I will file a complaint at the Better Business Bureau in hopes to get my cancellation fees back. But I wouldn't want anyone to go through the same. I took my laptop there before for another issue and was out almost a 200 CAD and had to go back to get it finally sorted out (it is never a one time thing for them). Please if you know of any other place, recommend. I dealt with them for 8 years in the States and this never happened. Save yourself

Original Review: Run to the hills. They will take your money and insult when you complain that your problem is not fixed. I spilled water on my laptop, the wireless card was obviously damaged or that's what they told me at least. They sent it out to be repaired. I got it back but it still wouldn't connect to my home or work network. They charged me 80 CAD for that. When I went to complain, they showed me it could work on their network and tried to sell me a wireless adaptor then sent me home back and forth with no avail.

In the end, when I expressed frustration, the manager (his name is Ali) yelled at me and told me to leave the store though I did not even raise my voice. You can obviously see that he had a problem with a woman standing up to him because eventually he proposed to send someone home to check my network but after insulting me and saying I wasn't telling the truth. I am out 80CAD, my problem is not fixed and utterly humiliated. Run as fast as you could. They will take your money but won't fix the problem and then insult you if you complain. Did I mention that when I asked the store manager "Eddie" to give me a number to complain, he gave me the wrong number?

Original review: June 25, 2022

I can see that these guys don't really take care of your computers. It's all about charging for monthly membership or making quick money. Not impressed by their people at all. I was waiting in line a noticed the attitude some of the guys have even in talking to clients. Very disrespectful.

Original review: June 21, 2022

The Geek Squad is one of the biggest scam ever proposed to the Canadian public. I've got three phones from Best Buy. The agent offered me a glass screen protector and he told me, instead of paying 45$ for each upfront, it can be 3 installment of 15 $; to which I agreed. Months later I realized that they kept charging my credit card. When I went to the store, they told me it was a protection plan with the geek squad. I was stunned, cause I was never told it was an insurance, Why would I take an insurance with geek squad when I already have one with my cellphone provider? It doesn't make any sense. Anyhow I ask them to cancel their nonsense. The agent on the phone told me the credit card on which they were supposed to refund was not valid, when they just charged it. Now I went to check, they only refund 13$ out of 45. This should never be allowed here. Be aware, they are a bunch of crooks, just out to get your money by any means.

Original review: June 15, 2022

It all started when I signed a plan which the store's employee said was a fixed price. I paid this price with the computer (that had a discount he gave me) in the same day. After about 2 months, I received an email charging me a monthly subscription. I logged into the Best Buy thing and saw that they were charging me about 30 dollars EVERY MONTH from the money that I had given them when I bought the computer. But now I had to pay more because one more month had gone by after all that money was spent. Naturally, I wanted to cancel my plan and have that month back, but their service is SO BAD I gave up and paid the month anyway. I still wanted to cancel it, but I was told by the employees that I would have to pay for 4 more months before I could cancel it. I WAS ANGRY. BUT I PAID 4 MORE MONTHS TO GET RID OF IT. After paying 4 more months, I went to cancel the plan in April of 2022.

GUESS WHAT. The chat employee told me she had cancelled my plan. GUESS WHAT. SHE LIED. They charged me 2 more months without me noticing (only on the account, not the credit card bc I took that OUT). I went to the chat to cancel it again and they told me they cancelled it. WHICH WAS A LIE AGAIN bc I was supposed to receive an email confirming my cancellation and this email never got to me (Not in April and not now in June). I'm STILL waiting for my cancellation.

I bought the computer in September of last year and GEEKSQUAD is making me lose money ever since (we're in June now). DO NOT. BUY. ANYTHING. FROM. GEEKSQUAD. PLEASE.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Had glitch with opening new MacBook Pro with a new password that I set up. Tried 4 solutions I found online using my phone. None worked. Chatted w/ two different GS techs. Both said I’d have to take it to a store. Are you kidding me?? They had no idea how guide me in resetting a password. I found that absurd. So, I tried one more time online and finally found the directions that worked. I would think that helping to reset a password should be, at the very least what they would know how to do. This definitely did not instill confidence in BB tech help. That’s what I get for their $199 member price to have access to tech “experts??” BB should be embarrassed!

Original review: June 12, 2022

Brought my computer to the Geek Squad to upgrade some parts. Got liquid CPU cooler installed also a new GPU, new PSU. First thing I noticed after I got it back that the pc wasn't cleaned from the dust which is a must when you install new parts. Second after 1 week I installed a game via Ubisoft, in the middle of that my pc crashed and it kept me stuck in the reboot menu for at least 20 minutes. After it was rebooting my hard drive D was gone. After I rebooted the pc again it the hard drive was back. But now the same thing happens over and over again. Will never ever use geek squad again and I paid 300 bucks every year for their service.

Original review: June 11, 2022

After just 9 months of purchasing, the ice maker stopped working. After 5 visits from technicians (via Geek Squad & LG technicians) the ice maker still does not work. They replaced the ice maker twice, replaced a compressor, then an evaporator. Now the entire fridge stopped cooling within 24 hours of the technician servicing the fridge. Over 500$ worth of food was spoiled. This whole process of requesting a technician for repairs has lasted SIX months. Geek Squad refuses to replace the refrigerator.

Best Buy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

Geek Squad Company Information