1.27/5
  • 1 star
Based on 137 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

1088 Geek Squad Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

First call to Geek Squad was to get a battery replacement and they charged me $112. I had a small crack in the glass. They fixed my glass and send my phone (Galaxy S6) back to me. Battery was not replaced. Second, 3rd, 4th and 6th call was to find out why my phone battery was not replaced. Got a supervisor on the phone and he asked me I would get a new phone with a $784 in 5 business days. The phone I received was junk. There was sticky residue on the top and bottom. Pieces of glue sticking out of the top screen, screen didn't lay flat was 1mm higher than it should, and the glass on the battery side was 1mm higher and has 166 charges on the battery.

So overall 4 things wrong with it more than the phone I currently have. Minus the damage that was done to the phone when they had replaced the screen. Giving my CC# for the 3rd time they said they would send me another refurbished phone. I said no thanks... Sending back the junk phone and waiting for a box to send my phone in to get a battery replaced. No charge. Already spend $112 and 3 weeks waiting to get a battery replaced. I do not recommend getting a replacement phone if the phone you have is in good condition. Fix the phone. Don't ask for a new one.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I recently purchased the GEEK SQUAD computer protection program... $20 per month... includes all my devices and offers discounts on future purchases. I had a PC tune-up and minor fixes yesterday. They did the work so fast, so efficiently, provided so much helpful information and have excellent customer service. I highly recommend this program. My store is in South Philadelphia, but they're everywhere and also offer remote repair. Additionally you can get private tutorials on all of your devices on any program... included!!! If you're in Phila., ask for Melissa. She's AWESOME!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was told by the store salesman that my install would be free if I purchased the new flex hose kit from you so I did and I was charged for install. Then I had an install scheduled for Saturday Dec. 30th but the truck broke down then we rescheduled for this past Saturday Jan. 6th. When they came to install the range they had to borrow my tools to do the job because they did not have the correct size wrenches. Then they did not have the proper size fittings to install the range. They told me my only choices were to finish it myself and go get the proper fittings or to schedule a new time for them to come. I chose to just finish the job myself. I was told I would be contacted on Saturday afternoon to set things right for these issues. I was never called and when I tried calling it just went to voicemail and I was never contacted.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have problem with my refrigerator (Samsung) and call to Best Buy and response very quickly, the services excellent, quicky and Eric work very well. Fast and call me to can back to fix parts. I received parts in 1 day and don't pay nothing. I recommend this insurance. Fantastic services Appreciated. To Eric fantastic services very nice person.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I no longer wanted Geek Squad antivirus software as it doesnt work! I had viruses on my PC that only Norton was able to remove for me! AND I was charged as an auto renewal without my consent! Nowhere on their site can you see or cancel such renewal! After FOUR different online chat reps kept transferring me again and again, I was forced to call and wait 20 mins! I asked why I couldnt cancel the renewal or even see it on my account and they stated you have to call them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

So when my brand new laptop had to do an update to Windows 8, I didn't want it to and closed my laptop putting it into sleep mode (bad idea). This corrupted the hard drive and made it inoperable. So I called up Geek Squad since I purchased it from Best Buy, it was the latest and fastest laptop our spending around $1300.00 on it. They said, "Sure, bring it down and we'll run a diagnostics on it." They did, said it needs a new hard drive, cool, I purchased one from them. They installed it, then installed Windows 10, fine whatever.

Then I check it out in store there before I leave, it's missing 2 small screws on the bottom of it where they had to remove the bottom to access the hard drive. I inform the attendant, he says, "Oh they probably missed those, I'll go check." Puts in 2 bigger screws cracking the bottom case. While when you pick it up you can hear the other 2 screws lose moving around inside the laptop... I'm like, "Well whatever man as long as it works now." He said, "Oh yes it does." and powered it on, etc. Obviously with a new hard drive I lost all of my pictures from my child's birth, so I ask about being able to retrieve those, he informs me for $150.00 non refundable we can send it off and try to get your photos off, but it's not a guarantee. Then for another $100 min up to $300 they can save your content on your hard drive. Find I'm not going to try just because I'm unsure at this point if they even did a good job.

So I take my laptop home, it used to be SUPER FAST, now it's just mediocre slow as you would expect a laptop from 10 years ago. So I don't know if the new hard drive is creating it to be slower or if they stole processor parts and swapped them out for another laptop of their own since us being the "stupid consumer" is taking their laptop to them in the first place. Man what a headache. I have replaced my own hard drive previously and should've just taken matters into my own hands rather than spend $200 using Geek Squad to seriously slow down my super fast laptop. It also could be that Windows 10 is slowing it down as well, but really I'm unsure.

I did take a brand new laptop into them, they returned it with scratches and cracks in it, looks really used now that they got their hands on it. I will never use them again, rather do it myself or use another laptop repair store (which now knowing what I know I wish I would've in the first place). So bottom line is, do not use Geek Squad, use another laptop repair store or better yet, Youtube it yourself and use eBay to buy your parts.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Today I had called but the CSR was so hard to understand and was repeating someone else wording to me. I asked her to let me speak with the person who is giving her the things to tell me but she refused. Then I had to repeat all the information 3-4 times, I advise her that I had dropped my phone outside and it is not working properly. It shows it is charging while the cord is not in the slot. But she did not even notice anything. Gave me my options, I took the advance option, she advise twice that it will take 3-4 days and once I gave her my credit card she said, "Oh it might take more time."

When I sign up they told me that if anything get wrong with my phone I will get the new replacement phone and now when I called they told me that they will only give me refurbished phone, I ask them that was not the deal so they said, "NO IT HAS BEEN LIKE THAT" so make me like I am making stories. Honestly very bad service, I was not expecting this from Geek Squad. I am so mad right now, all the money I had paid them was a waste. I ask them, "If you are giving me refurbish at least give me Note 8," her respond was, "Oh we are not here to upgrade," so insulting. Never ever I will get insurance from them again. They are not worth the money or time, at least put someone who can speak or understand English. I am so disappointed that I cannot even say.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Worst possible service ever from Geek Squad protection plan for cellphones. Sold by employees at Best Buy with false information and misguided service. In return to your trust within the company they throw at you that you did not read terms and conditions. Horrible customer service. Spend more than 2 hours on a phone call every time you call in and they still do not give what they promise. ALL EMPLOYEES give wrong and different information. No consistency. Two year money grab and waste of money!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

So I guess they are trying to be like Apple with showing you how to set up your new iPads, iPhones, etc. and just like Apple you set an appointment to meet a specific time which I did and yep you guessed it complete no show. I mean the people had no idea and showed no signs of even caring that someone scheduled an appointment to see them. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I purchased a Whirlpool dishwasher from Best Buy and sign up for their Geek Squad coverage. 1 year or so later the machine started having issues draining and rinsing. I call Geek Squad and reported the issue. After 5 missed appointments, they finally sent a local service appliance company called Superior Appliance (take a look at their reputation on Yelp!). Their diagnostic was: “Your machine is not covered by our warranty”. Meanwhile, I had to be home between 9am and 5pm for 5 days and lost 5 days' worth of wages. It ended up costing a lot more than getting a new machine. It would have been a lot cheaper getting a new machine. I ended up doing that.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have been a long time supporter and advocate of Best Buy. I bought an Open Box last year for Christmas and less than 1 year after purchasing it, the computer failed. They claimed that it came with the same warranty as a new computer, but refused to honor the warranty on it due to an error on their end when the computer was sold to me.

All of that aside, when the computer was sent to Geek Squad they called and told me that the motherboard was bad and needed to be replaced. The quote was $426 + tax, which was an insane amount for a computer that was less than a year old. I refused to pay this for many reasons and had the computer returned to me. Once I received the computer back, I decided to do some research on my own and try some of the troubleshooting I found via Google. After less than 2 hours of troubleshooting I was able to get the computer running again without having to replace any of the hardware! These guys are supposed to be the technical experts and the proposed solution was to charge $426 to replace a part that didn't need to be replaced!

I would recommend anybody that is even considering using Geek Squad services to reconsider. Try some troubleshooting online first and if not comfortable with that take it to a local repair shop. Anyone has to have better customer service than Geek Squad and they will most likely be able to fix the issue without taking the easy route! Very disappointing experience for sure and I will never make that mistake again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Terrible service. Incompetent Auto Geek Squad. Hopeless management. The issues when I went to install remote start for my car. 1) Did not do it right the first time. 2) Messed up high/low toggle of car seat (They claim its existing, that's lame). 3) Took a week for second appointment (I had to leave my car overnight) only to find out that the device is incompatible which was sold by Best Buy in store itself.

I went to store management to complain on this. Sarah took a note and Kurt was supposed to call me. No one called. And then again, I went and told Ryan at the store, he too informed me that Kurt is going to call me. No call again. Today, I called the store. After some prolonged waiting, Ryan informed that Brad (instead of Kurt) should have called me already which did not happen. He said Brad will be calling me in a couple of days.

If the device is incompatible, how was it fixed in my car in the first place and delivered? And then the high/low toggle thing. Mike is the guy who worked on my car the first time and he is the one who fooled me. He actually finished his work by placing an incompatible device. Only consolation is Derek who verified that the device is not compatible with my car after some extra hours of work. I think they are just taking time to prepare themselves to come up with some crap. I don't see them busy when I have to buy something. I see them super busy when they have to respond to concerns.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

This is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE service. The fact that all these people committed to making an account just to post their experience tells you how many issues these people have. It's ridiculous, HOURS (literally hours) spent talking on the phone being promised callbacks that are never returned. Finally, after contacting my bank they gave me a return in "store credit" which I will never ever go back to. Absolutely ridiculous service. Infuriated, they didn't even cover me the full purchase and cheaped me out $100 because they're valuing my phone at its price NOW instead of when I purchased it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I got Geek Squad Tech Support 24/7 because it was the cheapest plan. You get what you pay for, that's for sure. Almost EVERY time they have been asked to fix several problems, they have NOT fixed the problems and have created new ones! And don't bother calling late at night; the skeleton crew is just that -- a bunch of deadheads. Plus the wait time is sometimes as long as five hours! So I leave my PC unattended, they do the work then sneak out of there having NOT done the work and further messing things up. Again... you get what you pay for.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

My advice is don't get Geek Squad insurance. I paid $140 for my phone. I paid $50 for the Geek Squad insurance. My phone is broken right now. I was told I have to pay $50 to receive a used phone. That's $100 total I'd have to pay for a used phone. My phone cost $140. I could've bought a brand new phone for that much. The MOD at Best Buy Poplar Ave in Memphis TN was horrible and unhelpful. I called Geek Squad. There was nothing no one could do. They told me the details were in the terms and agreement. I'll get a new phone but this is my warning to you, don't do it. Geek Squad is a horrible company. TOTAL RIP OFF. They make money by encouraging you to buy the coverage and to pay even more when your phone is damaged.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

The service personnel were rude. Twice they assisted a person behind me in line (we both had 11am appointments). I had to wait 20 minutes after my appointment time. Was not given any kind of demonstration on the computer. Was sold incorrect cables. When I got the computer home, I spent 5 hours fixing what had been installed incorrectly.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

On Black Friday my husband and I ordered a tv, sound bar and bracket online. We also paid $199 for the total install pacakage. The install date as for Tuesday the 28th. On that day, Geek Squad comes with tv in hand - nothing else. Unbeknownst to us, the other items were being shipped by mail (the Geeks don't offer up that information). I called at approximately 11 am Wednesday to get another appointment and was told by a young lady that December 14th is the earliest. IT'S NOT EVEN DECEMBER 1ST!!!

I expressed my dismay and she had me speak to a young man named Jakai **. He was nice and professional and told me that he would email the DDM (?), who have the authority to authorize additional installs that I am requesting an earlier date. He stated that either the DDM(?) dept or himself would return a call to me within 24-48 hours with an answer. No problem. I was appreciative. At approximately 4 pm, Jakai leaves a voicemail on my husband's phone stating he got us an appointment for December 6th between 12-4. We need only to call him back and confirm. When we call the number he left, it's a call center and I get another rep who doesnt know him.

I hang up from that rep and I call back. I get another nice young man named Cameron who puts me on a few holds while he contacts central dispatch. Please note, the information about my December 6th appointment is noted in the notes. Cameron gets me in contact with Errik of central dispatch who also sees the notes about December 6th and he places me on hold while he emails the person who got me that date - Jakai **. Well, according to Errik, Jakai is taking his time emailing him back and is also trying to pass the buck.

Cameron offers to call me back in 20 minutes instead of placing me on hold repeatedly as it has now been 45 minutes that I've been on the line. I wait and I wait some more. Approximately 3 hours later, I call back and get another nice young man named Victor ** who sees all the notes, contacts central dispatch and within 7 minutes, comes back on the line and said that a woman is making good on that date and I AM ELATED. I get my confirmation email and it says December 12th???

I am satisfied with the people I spoke with, with the exception of Jakai ** passing the buck, but CENTRAL DISPATCH IS A JOKE AND THEY LIE! I am so upset that I have to wait so long when I was told differently. I will be complaining to everyone I know who needs services and wants to try Best Buy. They are not the only people who can give a decent deal and do installs.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I purchased a Compustar 4202s remote start system for my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, which came with Geek Squad installation included; and even though I have been involved with electronics for 30+ years, due to time I thought this was a good deal. I scheduled for the Davie, Florida store to install it. For lack of better words, the installation was horrendous!!! The so called technician was so amateur in his installation techniques that I cant believe he has even passed any sort of certification. All my connections, power and/or data (Rx and Tx) were done by peeling the wires and wrapping with electrical tape without securing the wires either with either a bit of solder or an actual connector. In fact, the technician spliced a number of wires in his search for the proper wire and never even fixed the damaged he was causing along the way.

At the end of the install, the system never worked properly. The car did start using the aftermarket remote, but the engine could not be shut off with the factory push button in the dash. Instead, the aftermarket remote had to be used. More important is the fact that the locks, radio or backup camera did not work either when the vehicle was started with the aftermarket remote.

The car starts perfectly when the OEM key is used. Additionally, the factory harness were butchered up so badly and left damaged in the vehicle, along with the driver seat surround. Furthermore, that the power source connection became loose after a couple of miles of driving. Best Buy should be ashamed to call themselves professional installers. My Hyundai dealer will not fix the electrical damage, unless it is involves replacing the main wiring harness at a cost of over $4,000. Stay away from Best Buy Geek Squad. All of the positive reviews about them online are truly questionable.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a laptop a year and half ago from Geek Squad and the associate convinced me to buy the warranty so in the case of any accident they would cover the repair and replacement of the device. My laptop was accidentally damaged. I knew it was damaged really bad and needs to be replaced. They were so rude to me and said they are not supposed to even repair it as their policies changed. They repaired it but it is in such a bad shape as nothing works anymore. GEEK SQUAD IS A HUGE SCAM.

Resolution response: Nov. 27, 2017

They took care of me!!!Ignore my previous Complaints.I regained my Confidence in Best Buy and Geek Squad again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Best Buy and Geek Squad. These people are biggest scammers on the planet. Purchased a bad Frigidaire replaced it with Whirlpool. Both time I bought an extended warranty through Geek Squad, now my Whirlpool does not work. Upon calling them they say, "We don't have a technician in your area!!!" But you sold me the Geek Squad warranty both times!! Unbelievable!! These people (scam artist) belong in jail.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Bought 2 TVs and Xboxes Feb. 2017. Best Buy convinced us that the Xboxes would do it all - play movies, run TV, etc. even though we didn't have cable. We could buy delivery, TV installation service and service to connect the Xboxes. Geek Squad came and connected the cables to the TVs and boxes but said until our remodel was finished, the TV should remain covered and that set up was easy - if we couldn't figure it out they'd come back. Been trying to get them back since then with "just follow the directions on the Xbox website." No TV until a friend figured out how to get that working, still no Xbox working.

Got fed up today (11/24) and walked in the store that I bought everything from. I was told they couldn't help me, have to call their 800 number. Did that and went through the story, AGAIN but this time was told the ticket was closed out and that I'd have to pay $99/setup AGAIN! Still am reeling from this despicable lack of service coupled with what I can only call extortion!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I purchased a Samsung dual oven range from Best Buy. Before finalizing the purchase the employee promised that if I buy the extended warranty from Geek Squad, I will have my appliance repaired or replaced should anything happen to it. I paid 300$ on that warranty. Unfortunately 2 years after my purchase the glass top of my range suddenly cracked. I called Geek Squad just to find out that the warranty does not cover my range. The agent who took my call wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. I will never ever buy anything from Best Buy. Save your money. Don't get extended warranty. It is nothing but money grab. Very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have an Acer Aspire R14 and have had an issue with gray screen when coming out of sleep mode. It’s just recently out of warranty but I have extended warranty with Best Buy. I’ve had the computer to the Geek Squad twice and have determined that they have no idea what they are doing. They rolled back to the last display driver which worked until Windows did an automatic update. I took it back again and still they did not fix it. I’d told them that they probably need to turn OFF THE automatic update for the display driver so it doesn’t happen again. Well, they didn’t!!! So now, after driving two hours one way (4 hours round-trip) each time to drop the computer off to them and then two or three days later making the 4 hour trip again, nothing has changed. I’ve since looked at the Acer community page and fixed it myself! BEWARE OUT THERE!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We have a Geek Squad service contract (but not for much longer). We had them do a home visit to check out our high-end gaming computer. The guy did very little actual diagnostic, and then told us we should have the thermal paste replaced because it was overheating. But he couldn't do it in-home because they aren't allowed to and to take it into the store. So we called the store and they said they aren't allowed to do it because if they mess it up there might be liability. I asked if that meant they weren't competent to do it, and they said they were competent, but that they weren't allowed to do it in case they mess it up. Bottom line, they tell you things that aren't true and they are incompetents. Don't waste your time and money on them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 7 from Best Buy and they did encourage me to purchase Geek Squad protection. I agreed when told that if anything happens to my phone they'll replace it with a new one free of charge (except if physically damaged). When I called them almost a year later for a persistent problem with my screen brightness that their tech support couldn't resolve earlier, they sent me a refurbished set. Despite my repeated calls they insisted that this is as far as I can get and gave me no other alternatives. Additionally their customer service associate told me bluntly that "I should educate myself about the contract before asking to talk to the manager". As echoed by another client "Never get fooled buying the protection plan".

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I submitted a claim on August 2 on my iPhone as the battery was draining quickly. It took them 3 weeks to inform me by mail that they are unable to find a replacement phone and gave me a gift certificate for a new phone. Great. Then it took me a couple weeks to find time to go to a Best Buy and buy my new phone, which occurred on September 9. They took a $500 deposit that I would send my defective phone back to them. Never did I hear on the phone that I had to this within 30 days. Well that 30 days started at the time of the claim, not when you receive your new phone. So by the time I got my phone 5 weeks after the claim started. It was already past the 30 days. So needless to say they did not return the $500 and I still have my old phone.

I do not know what you pay for with this service? $15 a month so if something goes wrong with your phone, you can get it fixed quickly and for free. NOT TRUE. 2 years of fees = $360, $200 I paid extra to get my phone, $500 for theft of my deposit. Add that up and I spent $1060 for my new phone. This is not good insurance. DO NOT BUY GEEK SQUAD PROTECT!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Took a 2000 dollar laptop in for a simple repair. The hard drive was old so I wanted to upgrade it. They immediately told me it was the motherboard without even looking at the computer. They were very wrong. It was the hard drive. After that I got the computer back and it will not connect to Wi-Fi at all. It tells me the Wi-Fi card is broke or damaged. I take it back and they said nothing wrong. Yes there is something ** wrong. It will not connect! And no it's not the goddamn Wi-Fi. It's some something they did! ** you Geek Squad!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Sometimes the intake line personnel are rude and hang up. They take a huge amount of time answering the phone. When they do, they read a spiel about how their service works. WE sometimes use it 3 time as a day for years, so we do not need to hear this rigamarole, just have them access the computer, but they insist, which is a total waste of time. Sometimes the actual tech 2 level experts ruin the computer, and one has to go to a different vendor to get it repaired, for they take about 1 week, and it is impossible to have no computer. Not a great deal, if you recommend someone else, let me know. I need good service.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My Geek Squad Protect & Support Plus expired on 9/11/17. On 9/10/17 I paid the $162 to have it renewed for one year. When I hit the submit button I was forced to accept automatic renewal. So after I accepted to get my plan renewed on time, I called Geek Squad for clarification. I asked them if I had to be set up for automatic renewal or if I could go year to year on my own. The rep assured me that my account was not on automatic renewal and that I was covered for one more year as I made sure to reiterate that I did want another year of coverage as I just paid for it.

A week later I get an email about my coverage expiring and that they had a cheaper option that didn't cover as much for me to opt-in to. I called Geek Squad because I was confused. On 9/10/17 I paid the $162 to extend my coverage for another year. I even got a confirmation email saying my coverage would continue without interruption. The rep tells me when I called on 9/10/17, that the rep I was speaking with accidentally deleted my payment (even though he assured me I was covered for another year). So I said that's not my problem my payment was deleted, I paid for another year of protection.

We are now at 11/1/17. I've spoke with at least 6 different reps and 2 managers. ALL of them assured me I would be taken care of. Every single time I called I got the same feedback "ma'am we have pushed your case to the top and management will be taking care of you." Well today I was told that my case was denied weeks ago because I "asked the rep to delete my card from my account because I didn't want to be on automatic renewal." That is incorrect. I asked if I needed to be set to automatic renewal to which I was told I did not.

Never once did I ask to delete my payment. The Geek Squad rep took it upon himself to delete my payment. Had I been told that my card needs to be removed from my account in order to not be on automatic renewal and doing so will also delete the payment I just made, I would've said to leave my card on the account and I would deal with renewal next year. None of that was told me. Geek Squad wants you to believe they are here to assist you, but really they're the most incompetent customer care service I've ever dealt with. Now I have a computer that I spent $2,500 on with no protection. Complete waste of time.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Do not waste your time and money! Worst ever, I bought their protection plan and when my computer needed fixing they did not even attempt to fix it. They junked it out saying it cost them more to fix than what the computer was worth!!!

Geek Squad expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

• Best for: Individuals

MN
    www.geeksquad.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use