Geek Squad

Compare Tech Support Services

Research top Tech Support Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I had purchased my laptop at Best Buy. So after a McAfee download did not work & my desktop could not be accessed (to remove the bad download & retry), I went to Geek Squad to get help. I was told if I wanted my files saved I'd have to purchase their 1 year plan for $200 for repairs/protection and it would be another $80 to save my files. I left the store mad since this computer was purchased 2/2017 and has had other issues (bad drivers, bad battery). I found Dave's Computer Service, and for $175 he upgraded to Windows 10, fixed my computer & saved my files!!! Got my refund from McAfee $59.99 as Windows 10 has security already added in! Wouldn't that be nice to know? Guess Geek Squad neglected to tell me that. So for about $115 my computer has Windows 10, security, and all my old files!!!

I took my computer in to Best Buy in Cedar Hill, TX. Have had NUMEROUS problems since. Have spoken to them (Geek Squad) by phone 2 or 3 times with looong waiting for them to return my call. This last man that was supposed to be a SENIOR experienced agent just wanted to argue. Said he couldn't help me get back on Facebook, but the previous lady said only a senior agent could do that. Finally was able to contact with Dakota, who claimed they could not help me with FB set up. I am so confused and disappointed in Best Buy's Geek Squad! What happened to the one (1) yr. guarantee I have with LOL GEEK SQUAD? Probably will NEVER hear from them, but I'm through with BEST BUY!!!

I have spent 30 years in the field of process improvement from a customer service/delivery perspective, but I can honestly say I have Never seen such a catastrophe in terms of providing customer support. From Day 1 when I first started using Geek Squad support via annual maintenance contract, I had issues with their processes from first getting in contact with them... the wait times whether on phone or online are ridiculous, to the absolutely crazy process they put you through when you have to return a product they're not able to repair.

Just tonight I spent the first 1:45 mins in an online queue; gave up and tried calling... after waiting another 45 mins with no answer I hung up there & tried online again. Eventually I got answered. The tech agent spent up to 45 minutes taking me through steps that I myself had already tried after first trying to resolve the issue before contacting them. Then he gave me another 877 # I had to call to get the ball rolling on getting a replacement. God forbid that you could go into Best Buy & simply make the exchange there, on the spot.

Despite having a maintenance contract for some time now, I had to fork over another $339 to get them to expedite the replacement phone to me with a 'reasonable' time frame... 3-5 business days. Really?? My phone is virtually useless as it is and they had me over a barrel so I agreed to pay the amt (which would be refundable when I returned my defective phone). I thought... "No big deal."

Now, here's the kicker folks... For those of you who haven't been through this yet, it works like this. They send you a new phone & you ship the other one back to them in the same pre-labeled box. Ok, makes sense up to now. Then he goes on to say that the box 'could' be Empty, but will have a certificate enclosed for the value of a new phone I could go and purchase at Best Buy. I nearly fell off my chair. If I could go and get a new phone at Best Buy, why couldn't I just to the store today & turn in my old one & pick up the new one in a very simple exchange transaction. Instead I have to wait up to 5 days for what will conceivable be any empty box. Whoever is in charge of creating a customer delivery strategy has done a poor (kind rating) job of thinking everything through from the customers' experience.

Surely Best Buy can come up with something, Anything better than what exists today. Either that, or they are turning a blind eye to what they must obviously know already from consumer ratings. There's no doubt that having a support group available does provide some sense of security for those of us who are most definitely not techie people. There comes a point though where you have to ask... is it Really worth it??? Just how much is your sanity worth???

Call to cancel in the morning. On hold for 20 mins and am told their system is down, I request an email to cancel. “No. We do have that service” - hmmm no confidence they could fix anything. I have to call back on the line for 40 more mins, transferred 5 yes 5 times where I had to repeat my name, phone, address. Then I ask for a confirmation email. This is actually cancelled because well the service is nonexistent. “No I'll put you on hold and give you a confirmation number if you wait.” GRRR wasn't that hard to take my money was it...

I made a payment with my credit card to renew my Geek Squad account. When I tried to have them clean up my PC, they told me my account had been cancelled. After 2 1/2 hours on the phone and a "boss" was to call me back (and never did) they wanted my credit card # again. After one of the ladies told me they showed a payment but didn't know what account it was to go to. Then I told them to just refund the money. Then I was told to send my credit card statement to them. After I told them "No I wouldn't send the statement." They said "We don't show there was a payment made..." Best Buy and Geek Squad have lost any of my future buys, and warning others not to purchase items from there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

I bought my laptop at Best Buy on March 2, 2017 with Geek Squad membership, I was told that I can cancel membership just before 6 months without any charge. However, when I called few days ago, I was told that there will be $10 charge if I cancelled at that time, so I wait and call again today. However, it is so hard to get someone and I spent quite a long time to wait and the phone was cut several times. I had to try again and again. Finally, I can talk to someone, but this time I was told that I will be charged $10 if I cancel today.

What happened? I am very unhappy about that! I am also very unhappy about the service itself. I have not used any service since I have my laptop. For the 1st time and the only time service for laptop set-up, I do have following complaints: I was told that the USB key will have a backup software on it, however, it is TOTALLY EMPTY!!! There almost no software was installed on my computer as we discussed on the day when I purchased. There are only Google docs, sheets, and slides, nothing else on the list as we discussed on the date!!!

I dropped my iPhone 7 plus and cracked the screen. It was a very simple crack, the phone still worked, nothing else was damaged. Straight forward repair right? I wanted to do the right thing and have it repaired right away by someone who was certified to repair Apple products so that the phone was still under warranty. I took it to Geek Squad so I could use my Best Buy card for the $150 repair. Let's stop here for a second. Keep in mind the following: I'm usually a very patient person. This experience left me wanting to either CRY or YELL. They said that they would send it off to Apple and it would be back in 3-5 business days. Fast forward 5 days when no repairs were made and no phone was shipped back, they said they were wrong about 3-5 days and it's ACTUALLY 5-7 days. I waited 2 more business days, STILL NO PHONE.

At this point I can understand that MAYBE it's not their fault that Apple was taking so long. They called me and offered to give me a loaner phone to get me by while they waited for it to arrive. I took them up on the offer, but it went HORRIBLY WRONG. I get to the store, we get the loaner phone up and running after an hour and a half, I'm good to go right? I get back to my car and make an attempt to text and call out. NOTHING! I go back into the store, and then a young, green Geek Squad agent says that she has absolutely no idea and they can't help me and that I should just be on my way. I told her they JUST helped me 5 minutes ago and that this needs to be fixed. I'm not leaving here with a phone that doesn't work when you promised me one that does.

They then shuttle me to the mobile techs to see if maybe it's a hardware swap issue. The Best Buy mobile employee was VERY RUDE and tries to tell me that I damaged my Sim card, which was ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE because the Geek Squad agent was the only one who touched it. She then tries to tell me there is nothing they could do and basically is wanting to send me out with a non-working phone. The Geek Squad manager finally comes over and he has absolutely no clue what to do. So, here I am with a loaner phone that doesn't work. I'm going to try to take it to Verizon to see if they can get it to connect to the network. I'm still going on day 13 with no phone in sight...

My TV was bought new with a 3 year warranty. It crapped out in less than a year. After having techs come to my house 4 times, wasting 4 hours out of my day each time due to the inability to articulate an arrival time, installed various parts over a period of several weeks, it is still not fixed. The last time he came, the tech asked ME what the other techs had done. FINALLY they agreed to replace the whole unit. In order to do this, I have to call a number to let them know I agree with replacement, and to generate a replacement number (shouldn't the tech have told them this?)...

On hold for 45 minutes, disconnected. On hold again for 2 hours min and counting. Unable to replace the unit with the same model... because they don't have one at the distribution center. I guess they don't ship stuff??? Wtf. The service is far below sub-standard. I find it impossible to recommend this service to anybody, unless they groove on inefficient, time wasting, inconsiderate service.

I took 2 computers in for repairs earlier this year. About 2 months ago I started getting calls from scammers saying they represent "Geek Squad". I don't believe them. The problem is that they know each computer and when they were into "Geek Squad". They know how much I've paid "Geek Squad" and when I've paid them. Geek Squad says there is nothing they can do and that what I'm saying doesn't sound right, well obviously. I know all the scammers want to do is take over my computer with Fastsupport.com and put a virus on so I pay to have it taken off. I won't let them. They call the house easily 10 times a day from all kinds of numbers. It's beyond frustrating that "Geek Squad" has no care whatsoever and won't even look into the matter.

I purchased my desktop computer at Best Buy in May 2015 and have been paying for Geek Squad every year. I called them today because I have been having trouble connecting to the internet with this computer for 2 months and it's getting worse. For example, I was trying to use Google today and kept getting messages that there was no internet connection. I called my internet provider and after running a few tests, and the fact that all our other devices in the same room have no trouble connecting, I was told the problem is with the computer.

I called Geek Squad and was informed the only way they can check it is if I return it to Best Buy (which is a 30+ minute drive from my house each way) or pay $49.95 for someone to come to the house (which I refuse to pay since I pay them an annual fee to take care of my computer). I have called with problems before and they did everything remotely at no cost to me but I was told that they can't do anything remotely this time. It's amazing that my internet provider was able to run tests remotely, but not the Geek Squad. Unfortunately, I just renewed my membership 2 months ago but will not waste my money again.

I bought a LG 60 inch TV and LG sound system from Best Buy and paid the Geek Squad to install it which they said included the following: Mount and secure TV to a wall. Conceal in-wall rated cables for a professional, clean look. Connect TV to multiple video devices. Program cable box or satellite remote to control TV. Connect TV and video devices to existing Wi-Fi. Configure smart TV or smart Blu-ray player apps for media streaming. Perform software and firmware updates, as needed. Provide demonstration of TV and video devices.

Apparently the Geek Squad in Lancaster, PA subcontracted the work out to a local guy. He was a good hard worker and performed the following tasks: Mount and secure TV to a wall. Conceal in-wall rated cables for a professional, clean look. Connect TV to multiple video devices. He did a wonderful job with the physical labor. However, he was only one person so I had to actually help lift the 60 inch TV when it came time to hang it on the wall. But he was a laborer, not a Geek Squad programmer. I then had to spend over an hour on the phone with Comcast trying to figure out how to program my new TV. I did the rest of the stuff on the list myself. I had next planned to purchase a new computer. But I will never trust the Geek Squad (and Best Buy) again.

Had a repair session planned 6 weeks in advance. Received confirmation email and phone message. I stayed at home day of appointment for 4 hours, no one showed, no communication whatsoever. I called next day, was on hold for 30 minutes before 5 minutes of background noise (think butt-dial) until someone noticed I was on the line and promptly hung up. I tried calling in evening, but phone center was closed and referred me to online site. Online consultant, Angelo **, said he couldn't help me and referred me back to phone center. Finally reached phone center, where multiple times they wanted to put me on hold to figure out what happened Monday. I didn't want to wait more, possibly get cut off again, for them to fix their own problems, so I just made new appointment. We'll see if they show this time. Given numerous steps and failures, does Geek Squad just want to make it so difficult that they don't want to fulfill their obligations?

I came in with my laptop, which was still basically as good as new physically after 3 years of having it, to check for any issues. I left my charger with them too, just for the sake of convenience. The things I specifically wanted them to look into were system tune-ups, interference of Bit Defender to Steam connection, a recommendation for a better antivirus that is more compatible for gaming purposes, and WiFi connectivity issues. I've been paying monthly membership for the GeekSquad service ever since I got the computer, and therefore did not have to pay for the check up. I was originally told this would take 3-4 days.

Fast forward a week, I have not heard anything back, so I decided to go to the store and check with the staff. Once I brought up my concern in store, the employee took my copy of the receipt and went to look for my device in the storage. Ten minutes later he came back and told us the device was not registered due to a faulty in payment - which, as I mentioned before, was none because of the membership. So he goes back to register it and tells me that it needs to be sent to their depot for a WiFi card exchange, and that this process will take another week.

So I come back a week later, and still nothing. The employee that greeted me this time told me the process would take another few days, and I just thought that they were really just wasting my time at this point. And then the few days passed, and I got a call asking me about my Steam password because they needed it to check the disruptions in connection, which I did not have memorized and had to reset and call back. Even though this took 5 minutes, once I did call back I was not able to connect to the person who had contacted me because the store was closed. I called back the following day, and within hours my laptop was ready, however a bit too late because it was impossible to drive and pick it up before the store closed.

The following day I picked it up. The employee that brought it to me did not make any comments about the process, and when I realized that my charger was missing, they told me that they did not get it back yet. They did give me a universal replacement for the time being, but that does not make up for the incompetence to deliver a promised service. Once I got home and unpacked my laptop, I noticed there was a crack on the screen, which had not previously been there. My Steam still isn't working, and Bit Defender is altogether gone with no replacement antivirus installed. GeekSquad is a waste of your money and time.

I bought an iPhone 7 from Best Buy and they did encourage me with buying the protection plan with Geek Squad. They told whatever happened by accident they will replace the phone with the new one but you need to pay $200 for that. A week ago my phone fell down and the screen was cracked. So after filing the incident the replacement was delivered after 5 days. A phone with brightness problem. I called them and they told me in the contract is mentioned that the phone will be replaced with a refurbished one. I asked them what if the refurbished one has a problem worse than my own phone. They told me that phones are already checked!!! This is not true as you could see that problem with the replacement phone. Never get fooled buying the protection plan. If something happens you can fix it better and cheaper.

I purchased a Denon receiver and ceiling speakers to be installed in a new home that my wife and I built. We moved into the home in late April and had the install completed in early May. All was well for the first 3 weeks but then the receiver crapped out after alerting me to download an update. The update failed halfway through and the receiver was completely bricked. Not even the on/off button worked so I had to unplug it to turn it off. I notified Best Buy and they told me that the earliest they could get the Geek Squad to my home was 3 weeks out. Unfortunately, I had a business trip scheduled for that week they wanted to come to the house so I was forced to schedule the repair for 8/3/17... 3 months after the receiver had initially been installed.

I received a call yesterday afternoon and he confirmed that he would be at my house between noon and 4 PM today. At approximately 4:30 PM, after not hearing from the tech, I call the Geek Squad and had to repeat my entries at least 5 times before the auto-attendant recognized that I was pressing the 1 button on my phone. Ten minutes later, some guy that I could not understand at all came on the phone. I asked him to speak up... He didn't... And his accent was so thick I couldn't understand him so I hung up and called back. This time, after waiting 15 minutes a very nice woman came on the phone and I explained my situation. She put me on hold for 10 minutes and when she came back she told me that the tech was finishing his early job and that he would call me when he was on his way.

Since it was almost 5 PM, I told the girl to cancel the appointment (I have things to do) and asked her to reschedule. She told me that she couldn't reschedule the appointment and she instructed me to call back in the morning. I'll call back, and will most likely tell them to return the new receiver and refund my money. I spent well over $1000 for the receiver, the speakers and the install, and this is the best that Best Buy can do? Yes, it's not a lot of money but it's the fact they simply don't give a damn about their customers. Two can play that game. No more Geek Squad and no more Best Buy for me. I'll find a reputable company that actually cares about and knows something about customer service.

Recently contacted the Geek Squad to have a warranty repair done on my plasma tv. Appointment set for July 21st between 8-12. No one showed no one called. Very upsetting. Called Geek Squad. They said the part didn't come in. They never notified me. Asked them to change the contact number for the service. Made new appointment for August 1st between 12-2. Guess what, no one showed even though I had called my local store and was told he would be there around 12:15. The part was still not in. After work I went to my local store in Milford, MA and spoke to the Manager to express my frustration. He was nice but said there was nothing he could do for me. I have scheduled a new appointment for August 8th. We'll see what happens. I have bought three tv's from Best Buy all with extended warranties. What is the warranty worth if they never show up. Very frustrated. The folks at 1-800 Geek Squad were not very helpful.

Gladys was maybe the fifth representative I was transferred to. She made up for the time I was cold transferred and lied to about why they couldn't help me. I have a NOTE 5 I sent in to be replaced due to the LCD screen, paid the $200 deductible. That wasn't my problem, the problem is the Replacement phone was sent blacklisted. This phone was not authorized to be activated. However, Gladys made me calm down and was very helpful and if she didn't know she figured it out for me. She resolved my issue and will be sending me a phone that is not blacklisted and at no charge. She makes this company look good. I'm thankful to have come across her phone line. Very sweet and helpful! I wish her the best at this company! She went above and beyond.

I called the Geek Squad for 3 issues with my computer. The initial tech was an idiot and had to refer me to a level 2 tech. The level 2 tech. took control of my computer for 3 hours, said it was fixed. All they did was a diagnostic check and did not fix the 3 issues. I called back to try again and asked them to read me the notes from the last call. It confirmed that my 3 issues were supposed to be addressed. This time the tech. Googled what one of my issues were to try and fix it and still could not figure it out. Really??? Geek Squad’s problem is they do not pay enough to get qualified technicians. There are other choices out there for tech help and will give someone else another try.

I chatted online with the manager of Geek Squad and said that I needed a dc jack repaired for an Acer Aspire One series 725 laptop. He said it would be $149, to which I responded that that price was a little too high. He knocked the cost down to $100 after he asked and I told him that I was a veteran. I asked if the repair guy will be bringing the part that I need with him when he comes by. (BTW, I printed a copy of our chat.) This was his exact response: "It's a hardware connection problem. We know what to do. We'll open it up and get it working for you."

The next day, the repair guy comes out and doesn't seem to know what my specific problem is, only that I have a problem with the power on my computer. Needless to say, he doesn't have the part I need. So he uses my desktop computer to find on eBay the right part and said that I would have to order it. A few minutes after he leaves, the manager calls me to say that I still owe the $100, even though the repair guy did absolutely nothing except look at the laptop and tell me what part to order. So I hung up on him. I guess I'll probably get arrested. It's a shame that our country seems to be the rip-off capital of the world!

When I bought a MacBook Pro from Best Buy in 2012 I bought the three year Geek Squad Tech Support plan. I used it once about a year into the plan. For $70 a year I figured it was cheap insurance. The last two years I paid with their automatic renewal. I have a new credit card now and this year's renewal didn't go through because I hadn't changed my credit card on my Geek Squad account. So, I tried to log into my Geek Squad account to change it. No luck. When I try to go to Geek Squad online I'm taken right to Best Buy. Well, I figured Best Buy owns Geek Squad so I tried to log in. My Geek Squad account number doesn't work. Finally, I thought I'd just call and talk with someone and get this straightened out. What a fiasco! Recording after recording with lots of wild static filled music (?) then silence when I was cut off without ever talking with anyone.

I'm retired (from a major computer company) so I have some time so I called back. And called back... I can't believe any company stays in business with such poor customer service. Finally, after an hour or so I actually got to speak with a live person who I could barely understand. She was polite and friendly. I asked where she was located. She said "Offshore" then when I hesitated, she continued, "Actually in the Philippines".

She was nice enough but with her accent and the poor phone service on her end, I could still barely make out what she was saying. I told her that I had called to renew my account but after all the problems I'd had just to get to talk to someone, I wasn't so sure I wanted to renew it. I even wanted to add another iMac to the plan and asked about that. She said the plan actually covers 3 computers. I asked how they knew which ones were covered because I have 5 computers. She offered to let me talk to the tech support people to answer that question.

She transferred me to them and it was just like when I first called, "automated" answering, noise, beeping, static, etc. After listening to that for a few minutes I realized I was right and didn't want to do business with such incompetence. I then wanted to tell Best Buy about my experience but I can't find any way to contact the right people and I'm sure not going to spend time on hold to let them know. I found this review site and wasn't surprised to see many one star reviews for Geek Squad.

It is a nightmare to sign up a protection plan using Geek Squad service for the washer. The washer cannot hold a water in the machine. It took seven days for a person to check the washer. It took another seven days to get a part delivery to my house. I suspect the part might be a wrong part due to the orientation different to the original part. Geek Squad distributor manager refused to listen up and insisted the tech must come to recheck the parts. It took another seven days to get an appointment.

On the date of appointment, the Geek Squad tech called. He order other parts. I am directed to call the Geek Squad to reschedule the appointment. It will be another week for him to be available. It took three weeks to schedule with Geek Squad. I believe I am still not getting the right parts to fix the washer. I called the Geek Squad 866 264 5623 to file a complaint. I was directed to call the corporate because they do not know what to do with the complaint. They only can advise me to wait for the manager if he is kind enough to respond. What a nightmare to sign up the protection plan with Geek Squad.

Geek Squad, Hammond, LA, notified us by email several times to let us know that they cold not auto charge our credit card for the renewal of our security on my husband's laptop. Our bank shows that they tried to use our credit card on June 19, 2017, June 20, 2017, June 20, 2017 and on June 23, 2017 they were finally successful. When I reached Rachel, in Minnesota at ** on June 24, 2017 @ 5:47 p.m. she stated that they got the updated information from my bank. SAY WHAT? This was a red flag because I then contacted my bank and they stated that they do not give out any information, she is another person that needs to be fired for lying to a customer.

On june 24, 2017 I received an email that Geek Squad renewed my security. I immediately called them on June 24, 2017 to let them know that this use was not approved by us. I demanded a full refund of $ 38.49 immediately. I then received an email that they issued us a credit, see info from that email regarding when they charged on our credit card:Payment Details - Regular Price: $49.99 Discount Price: -$15.00, Your Price: $34.99, Tax: $ 3.50, Total Paid: $38.49, Payment Date: 06/24/2017, Credit Card: ** (last 4 digits). At the office in Minnesota the staff person lied to me. The staff in Hammond, LA illegally charged my account because I refused to give them my updated renewal date on my credit card. They played with the dates and finally got it.

I have a 4 year old All-in-One Samsung 700. It sustained a move and wound up being nothing more than a really good monitor. That is, until I brought to Geek Squad in Gilbert, AZ. I dropped off, showing tech how to power on and toggle different source input. I purchased a new hard drive and the $149 repair service. Within a few hours of dropping off, the tech called and said they cannot move forward with swapping out hard drive because motherboard is bad. So I said fine, I will continue to use as a monitor. I picked up next day and took home.

I had been using as a secondary monitor for my laptop as the monitor was considerably bigger and made long work periods more tolerable. I did this through the HDMI in port, which functioned perfectly well, as did the monitor, when I dropped it off. At home, the monitor showed power coming in but no longer recognized my external device through the HDMI in port. Now the monitor does not work. I called the squad and they said that it was likely because they hadn't seated the memory properly and to bring it back in. Which I did the very next day.

Showing up to Geek Squad counter, I was greeted by the same person from whom I picked up the monitor the day prior. I explained the circumstances and she brought it in back to have a member investigate. Thirty minutes later, a young man came out and explained that the monitor no longer works... yes, no kidding! He went on to explain his work and how he reached his conclusion, never acknowledging that the monitor functioned perfectly before bringing it in for service.

Needless to say, I broached the reality and reiterated that the monitor worked when I brought it in, and all he could say is that "the computer was on its way out anyway". Not being satisfied with the lame explanation I asked to have them return the monitor to its functioning capacity demonstrated when I brought it in. The answer to that was "if we send it out to repair the monitor, they will fix the entire computer and it would cost us $1000s of dollars". The issue is now being escalated to management with the only possible recourse being a store credit towards a new system or monitor. This is not the solution I was seeking, but my options are limited since they do not have the resources on site to repair the monitor. Now I have a dead monitor and another problem/solution to run down. This was my first visit to Geek Squad, and likely my last:(

Recently my wife's computer crashed. BB technician said the hard drive crashed. I purchased a new HP with a back up hard drive. The salesperson wasn't knowledgeable about their products. Brought the computer back to the GEEK Squad and asked them to download my files from the original back up hard drive, install a existing Windows Office Suite, and install a printer driver. I was charged $180 and told that the work would be completed by 7/14. I didn't get any notifications on their status email that was sent after 5 days except that my computer had been checked in.

On 7/15 I went to pick up my computer and they said they wanted another 2 days. I agreed but informed them that 4 pm Monday was a drop dead date. I finally got an email that said my computer was ready for pickup. 7/16 Upon arrival I found that the data had in fact been downloaded but they could not show me what had been downloaded. It was useless. The Office suite had not been downloaded. I have made 7 trips to this store to be told that they were having problems and would fix it. After my 1 hour visit on Saturday the 14th and talking to 3 different technicians that my computer would be ready Monday. It would appear that the Geek Squad just downloaded a bunch of crap and said it was fixed.

This is wrong and I am surely disappointed. I still don't have a working computer with the files I need nor do I have the Office Suite that I asked for. It would appear the they found an easy solution to get rid of me. However, as I left the store I informed them that I would do everything to let the world know how bad an experience I had and would buy or recommend to someone to buy from Best Buy.

Brought a computer in for addition of SSD and installation of OS. Installed a mechanical HD, called back and said did not have proper hardware, could not install. This after multiple attempts at returning calls and being hung up on their horrendous phone system. You CANNOT get to the computer dept and was told they don't answer the phone many times. Finally just picked my computer and went elsewhere for repair. If you want poor service, indifferent service, incompetent service then use Best Buy Geek Squad.

I took my Dell Inspiron to Geek Squad because the power cord that came with it (Dell is no hero here, either) had corrupted the operating system. I asked the clerk directly if they would destroy my data and he said "no, we wouldn't do that." They then wiped the computer clean of everything and told me it was my fault. There was an option to send it to a regional center and they could restore the data for a charge estimated at between $700 and $1,500 -- more than the cost of a new computer. I will never use Geek Squad again.

Best Buy charged me for two Webroots. It said mine expired in June 2017 when actually it was November 2017. I called the Best Buy Online Service as I have a yearly contract with them. They had me wait for a Level 2 IT person. When he came online I gave him remote access to my computer just to fix my Webroot. He started clicking around so I went in another room to let him work. When I came back to my computer I saw him restarting it. When computer was restarted there was NO internet access and the Ethernet did not work.

Another geek from the Squad worked for two hours trying to fix the computer. He could not so I took it in to a physical Best Buy Geek Squad. They are still trying to fix it after eight days. They said I had to pay $100 for backup so they could wipe the computer clean and reload Windows Ten. Or they would revert to Windows Seven. I said, "No way, I use the computer for my business and need Windows Ten." My computer had zero problems until the online geek wrecked my computer. Will never allow them to have remote access to my computer again. Be careful. It is a scam to get your money!!!

Geek Squad is owned by Best Buy. Geek Squad is a business. Businesses need money to operate, and most businesses sell legitimate products to fulfill the needs of their customers. Geek Squad sells a "protection plan" that you pay a flat rate for. Or so you think. Tonight I encountered a scam from them. I had a problem with the software side of my computer, and they tried to stop my OS from working by choosing to boot into a non-existent drive. They said that they had lost connection and that they would need to see the PC in person. This means that they would charge me even more. Thankfully, I am tech savvy and I was able to choose to boot to the OS drive. These people are scammers and should be shut down and sued for misleading and scamming customers.

I may be paranoid, but I believe Geek Squad may have infected my computer with a virus. The coincidence between their software, Webroot, expiring tonight and a message on my browser that I was infected is more than just circumstantial. So, I went to Geek Squad Chat, explained my concern and was disconnected. Back to the chat again, and again explained my concern and was then disconnected. A third time, and I decided to call them directly. Could I understand a single word the "agent" was saying? No. She talked so fast and I asked her to slow down nicely... She kept up the speed and said she wasn't talking fast. Save your money, the only thing the Geek Squad Contract got me was sales spam for Windows 365 which I don't want and the Webroot they installed which I also didn't know I bought. Honestly? I think there is something rotten in Denmark here.

My Omen Laptop had squeaky noise & stiff hinges upon flipping the screen open. Went to Geek Squad told them it's still under manufacturer's warranty & was told, "We'll take care of it for you" (I was thinking I'd save $$ on shipping & have Best Buy send it to HP). The agent at Geek Squad explained to me how the computer is going to be fixed. 7 days later I went to pick up the computer & the hinges were fine & appeared to be in good operating condition. Couple of weeks later the hinges started to squeak and the cover surrounding the screen started to "come off "??? I went to geek squad and told them what's going on & was told we'll send out again, little that I knew that Geek Squad repairs the computer & charges the manufacturer for the repairs. I thought Best Buy ships the computer that don't have the extended warranty to the manufacturers. If I knew that was the case from the beginning, I would've never went to best buy.

The repair facility of Geek Squad in Kentucky got the computer they called with a $400 quote. When I spoke to the repair facility, they've told me that they were not aware that they've repaired the computer hinges previously nor they've gotten any notes on the computer from the local Geek Squad that shipped the computer. Long story short, the issue was osculated to a higher team at Geek Squad. They finally agreed to repair it but they don't have the screen border cover. ALL THIS HAS TAKEN MORE THAN 2 WEEKS.

When calling and giving Geek Squad customer service order service # nothing comes up in their system even when giving them my phone # at times. Also no department can reach the repair facility directly as they are completely separate, & no one can give me an answer as to what are the repair status other than telling me "they're still waiting for parts". HP told me that, "This part is available in abundance as it's a brand new computer & we at HP don't know why they're telling you they're still waiting for that part." LIE AFTER LIE FROM BEST BUY/Geek Squad despite the agents from one department after another department promising to give me calls & updates in which no one calls me & follow up with me the customer after paying $1500 for the computer. HP decided they would take it up themselves and fix the laptop that Best Buy broke. HP sent me a return labeled "secure box" to my house the very next day & told me not to deal with best buy.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Run by Best Buy, Geek Squad is probably the best known and most highly regarded computer help service.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.
  • Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.
  • Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.
  • Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.
  • Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.
  • Best for Individuals