Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.12/5
Based on 1,527 ratings submitted in the last year

Geek Squad Reviews

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I just had to take a few minutes to acknowledge the excellent service I received from Geek Squad. Two of your service reps bent over backwards to accommodate me. Their names are Pete (the tech.) and a young lady named Jordan.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I received excellent customer service from Geek Squad. I was having trouble getting my iPhone to connect to my PC for picture download. They gave me several tips and then offered for me to bring my equipment in, so that they could troubleshoot the problems I was having. I appreciate the Geek Squad in Garland Texas so much. Everyone was kind and wonderful and it was an extremely busy day.

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We purchased a top of the line Sony 4K TV which came with a soundbar approx 2 years ago. The soundbar worked for approx 6 months, and then stopped working and we recently contacted Geek Squad (who initially installed it) in an attempt to rectify the situation. We started by calling 1-800-433-5778 which was a joke - passed from person to person and after 10 minutes on hold, line went dead. We tried to call the (Burlington, Ontario) store but we couldn't get anyone to pick up in 3 separate attempts. Finally, we drove to store and Geek Squad Rep was easy to deal with and booked us a next day appointment for a home visit.

Jason and Andrew showed up on time, were efficient, professional and had the problem corrected within 30 minutes or so - I particularly appreciated their patience and understanding as they took the time to answer any questions I had. Jason and Andrew are GREAT representatives for the Company and I really hope Best Buy can do something tangible and meaningful for them in the way of recognition. Simply put, they are the reason I will most certainly call Geek Squad next time I require audio/visual/computer assistance.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I took my computer that was knock out due to a lightning strike and to see if it could be fixed but it was fried. What the Geek Squad did do for me is load all my old stuff from my fried computer into a new one I bought there for a good deal I might add. And only charged me $80.00. So with the headache I was looking at without all my info and they got it done in only 2 day. Very impressed. Thank you Geek Squad in Farragut TN for a job well done.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I had bought a Samsung NU8500 65" Curve TV from Best Buy and I went ahead and bought the extended 5 yr. warranty with it for like 300.00 more and after 7 months of having the TV there popped up a red vertical line on the left side of the TV. So I called Geek Squad and they came over to my home and diagnosed it as a bad display and ordered me a new one so I had to wait another week and a half for it to come in.

They then came back and replaced the display and put the TV back together and after getting it back on the TV mount stand of mine they turned it on and no red line and I have my TV back and everything works. I am glad I had them and I had nothing to worry about knowing the Samsung company covered the warranty and I still have my 5 year warranty as well. Thanks! Geek Squad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: June 5, 2020

I had bought fridge with Geek Squad extended warranty in 2014. Now it's not working properly so I called them on 23rd May. They created my case and promised me to send technician in 3-4 days. But no one showed up. So I called them again again on June 04 so Heidi escalate my case and gave me few number of local technician if I can find them earlier anyhow. I tried all number what she gave me and but no one available. I called them today again June 05 and asked for the update on my escalation process. The representative who was assisting me (his name Andrew and employee id: **) told me: "as per escalation result: we will try to get technician for you sooner in the coming days." Why I asked him when. He became paused and said no idea.

I asked him to talk to his manager: first he try to ignore me then he said he was busy. When I pushed him more then he put me on hold for almost 30 min and later he said, "I have to disconnect your call and my manager will call you. My manager have many things to do. He has many cases to solve. He is not looking after your case. He will call you when he will have some time." His manager name is Jonathan.

Original review: May 29, 2020

So, I was mislead by the Sales Rep about what was covered when I purchased my Macbook Pro (and I DID ask)... Apparently accidental damage is NOT covered...at all. The coverage specs are emailed to you (no hard copy), and you have 30 days to back out and after 30 days there are no refunds (even on multi-year coverage). I was also told that a replacement computer is provided when repairs take a certain length of time.. apparently that ALSO depends. The coverage that is "so much better than Apple Care" is not AT ALL.

I went to Best Buy with my concerns (after 2 months of coverage), and they directed me to the Geek Squad call centre. The call centre said that Best Buy (the store that I bought from) should have addressed the concerns. I waited for 1/2 hour+, to have the call dropped, and received clarification on the lack of coverage (and no option to upgrade the coverage).

If I would have gotten the Apple Care and upgraded to Apple Care + (which I could not convert to, as I didn't realize what I had done until after 60 days of coverage), I WOULD have had coverage for my Screen damage, and would have paid a lot less than the $600+ needed to get me 3 month old computer up and running again. Lesson learned, I hope. May this review help others to avoid the same misfortune! The only upside is that I have 3 years coverage (for over $300), but I am expecting the same sub-par service that I have received up until now, SOOO really no upside at all!! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Original review: May 28, 2020

I paid for installation, even though it is simple because I'm old and handicapped by a texting drunk driver. The first time they came, they didn't have the hoses for the washer or dryer. They didn't take out the pieces installed to keep the drums immobile in transit, despite many calls that suggested stupid things from matchbooks to new flooring, the machines and mounts tore themselves up and nearly shook the house down. Finally the guy who came with the proper hoses figured out the problem, they brought me new machines and mounts and they hooked up the wrong dryer hose, which promptly fell off. Finally I got the right dryer hose but they didn't clamp it to the machine, even though they did clamp it in 2 other places, so the house falls off.

Now they say it took me too long to discover (>90 days when they say coverage is for a year). The parole they send out were not professionals. It was more like paw-paw bringing all the grandchildren, wife, etc., so some of them should learn the trade. To that at home! I don't need unnecessary people crowding up my house, distracting the worker, arguing, wearing their pants below their butts, etc.

Original review: May 27, 2020

If I could give the Geek Squad less than 1 star it would be about -5 stars. Starting with bad customer service from Ebony B who disconnected the chat, Jason B who kept putting me on hold so that my wait time would reset, Julian who also disconnected the chat because he didn't want to help me figure out why Jason was putting me on hold. Secondly the actual technicians, first this morning when the tech who was trying to fix my Microsoft Office instead, and installed an unlicensed version. Also he never put any notes on the account. Then after 5 hours I got King Arthur who after 5 hours of trying to fix the Microsoft office situation also disconnects and places these notes on the account.

"Hi! Agent King here, it was a pleasure working with you and your computer today. I have fully scanned your computer and found no threats/viruses. After that I successfully tuned up your computer for better performance by cleaning up junk files, doing all necessary updates and applying optimization tweaks to the computer. Also made restore points for future purposes so you'll have back up before and after the services in case you need them. If you have any additional questions or concerns, we are available 24/7/365 at support.geeksquad.com or 1-800-Geek Squad. Agent King Arthur - 5/27/2020." ^^^Notice he doesn't mention anything about the Microsoft Office. So in short I went from a working Microsoft Office at 10 am that just wouldn't update to an unlicensed unusuable version at 10 pm and in between 2 agents who somehow forgot how to make accurate notes.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Beware if you are buying a phone or some form of electronic from Best Buy and they ask you if you want the Geek Squad protection plan. I have been paying for the protection plan for my cell phone for the past almost 3 years. I finally needed a new phone because my current phone is basically kaput, I call them up and they tell me that my plan just expired 3 days ago! Yet they had no problem taking my money. So got hot at the person and asked to speak with a manager, the person put me on hold and after 5 mins came back to tell me that she can help me and honour the extended warranty. 3 days later I receive an iPhone same model as mine, it was a refurbished iPhone with scratches on it. After using it for a couple of hours I had found that the screen was loose at the button of the phone and was making a clicking sound when I pushed on that area.

Called them up and was told that I need to send that phone back for repair and that I will need to wait 5 days without my phone while this takes place. Absolutely ridiculous customer service and the worst part is that either the people in Best Buy don’t know the true policies that they are pushing or they are lying to the customers. Either way I will never spend another cent with this company again! as a previously loyal customer who has spent untold thousands at their stores I would strongly advise against their protection plan. It is not an extended warranty, you are basically buying the product twice at their price so if it needs to be replaced they will give you a crapy refurbished unit and tell you that is all they can do for you because the contract can’t be changed. Not nice to take our money and then not honor the contract themselves.

Geek Squad author review by ConsumerAffairs

Run by Best Buy and well-known by consumers everywhere, Geek Squad is one of the most popular computer help services available.

• Online and at-home repairs: Geek Squad offers telephone support and in-home repair, which is a helpful feature for clients who find it too difficult to bring a unit to the store.

• Pricing: One-Time online support is very inexpensive, starting at $49.99 for a PC tuneup. The Geek Squad also offers subscription services on a month-to-month basis.

• Short wait times: Consumers can depend on support providers to offer help within a short time, unlike some service providers that have unpredictable wait times.

• Support: Geek Squad was primarily aimed at individuals with tech issues in the past and only recently began offering a la carte services of IT solutions to small businesses.

• Limited capabilities: Geek Squad doesn’t offer many customizable services to meet the needs of big businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team