2.33/5

Looking for a tech support service?

GuruAid

Looking for a tech support service?

58 GuruAid Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 13, 2019

What is going on here? I feel compelled to post after reading all these crazy negative reviews. I had a GuruAid contract for three years for 399.00. I called them many times and definitely got my money's worth. No one ever tried to upsell me. They never called me for any reason; I only called them when I needed them. Once, my Windows XP was DEAD. It wouldn't even turn on. I called GuruAid and they told me they had a guy for that if I was willing to wait. Twenty minutes later, he came on the line and told me to do this, that and the other. It came on!

I do not know what all these reviewers are saying about hacking and stealing serial numbers. These guys know computers and I'm planning on using them again for my Windows 7. My local computer guy wants over a hundred dollars to fix my computer ONE time. GuruAid will do it over and over for one set contract price. The tech told me I could call them every day, if I wanted to under the contract without additional charge. These bad reviews really have me baffled.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have been s GuruAid customer for six years now and have only received the very best service. I was hacked into recently by someone representing themselves as AVG. They blocked my AVG, said my subscription had expired, and wanted $249.99 for 3 years. I finally discovered the scam and called AVG (the real AVG). They tried to fix things, failed, and said their tech support would possibly handle things for $100!!! I called GuruAid, which I should have done first, and they spent nearly two hours taking the "evil" off my computer. I suspect GuruAid's bad reviews have been put in by competitors as none of the pricing matches GuruAid's real pricing. They aren't the cheapest but they are available 24/7 and call me as a reminder it's time for computer cleanup. And, most importantly, I am happy and confident in their work. You gotta trust someone and I have trusted GuruAid for six years now.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

September, 2018: My Windows 10 PC was running slowly and I had trouble getting Norton Updates to process. GuruAid fixed everything and explained why I was having problems. Yes, I paid $89.99 for the service, but it was worth it. I was on the phone and online chat for some time but the results were excellent. Yes, they tried to sell me a one-year support subscription, but I know better than to buy something I do not need.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

GuruAid is a criminal organisation doing the "Tech Support Scam". They pretend people have problems with their computers and scam them out of money while putting malicious programs on their computers. They are fraudster scammers. The good reviews are written by themselves.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I used GuruAid for about 4 years and they were decent. They always responded quickly and took care of the problems. They did try to upsell me every time, but I politely refused. They did try to create an exclusion for themselves on Malwarebytes, but I said "NO" and made certain they were always excluded once we hung up. I have not been able to contact them by phone anymore, so they are definitely not 24/7.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GuruAid?

Original review: April 14, 2019

The contract for my Dell laptop expired. I called to get the cost for re-contracting. The cost was prohibitive for me. Somehow I found out about GuruAid (don't remember). I was extremely pleased with the cost for a year. I DID become frustrated by continuous requests to sign up for three years. My contract ends in 2021. I was impressed with the 24/7 hours. That has since changed to the hours 2:30 am until 5:30 pm. Seven days per week. The service I received was impressive, professional, courteous and conformed to the procedure every time I called.

Since the change in hours something has noticeably changed in procedure. Then I called with a specific problem. It was fixed but a new problem was evident in short order. I called again and this new problem was fixed but another new problem appeared in short order. The third time I called the problem seemed to be fixed. But it never went away. I am so frustrated and plan to call again. Since the change in hours the technicians have lost their formerly professional and courteous manner. They aren't rude but the service seems to be lax.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was using Avast on my computers and had a problem and called what I thought was their customer service number and ended up with GuruAid who assured me three times they were in fact the service department for Avast. They did solve my immediate problem, but then talked me into service with them, promising 24 hour support by phone if needed, etc. I am ashamed to admit they talked me into a $299 contract for two years on all of my equipment. A week later I get a call saying they have been ordered to shut down and began to walk me through a refund. midway through, they want me to connect with my bank and with them so they could refund the $299 and I could see they had done so. I refused to connect to my bank, and they have been calling for the last sixty days to try and talk me into it. I would never recommend this company to anyone, and I pray none of you have let them get into your bank account.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Updated on 02/03/2019: I have already filed a notice of my dissatisfaction, I do still have a contract in effect with GuruAid until April 2019, However they have now blocked me from my ability to contact them vis-à-vis telephone, I have also sent them an email through their message network requesting they respond to my concern they are going to charge me for a new contract which I have not authorized and do not want. The request was very business simply asking them to confirm that I am not contracting for another period of time via email so I would have confirmation they will not arbitrarily withdraw money from my checking account.

They have not responded to my request, and I have made numerous efforts to contact them via telephone and never had any difficulty in the past however the phone now goes dead. However, I am now unable to utilize their service which I had paid for for the next three months, I now feel they not only to me confirmation that I am not renewing a contract but a refund for several months of services they apparently are refusing to provide.

Original Review: I originally purchased a three-year contract with GuruAid and originally was satisfied with their service as I was very naive. I had purchased a program that I asked them for assistance with one specific area and was told they have no way to provide that and it needed to be done by the manufacturer. Interestingly they had actually fixed the same problem approximately one year prior. So I was able to resolve it on my own.

My contract ends in a few months and every time I call for assistance the call taker takes a great deal of time and effort to have me purchase another contract, the technician then does the same thing, and the supervisor follows up with the same type of pressure which almost equates to harassment. When I contact them to have my computer cleaned, I'm told it will take approximately 45 minutes, yet I contacted another provider and they checked and did things to ensure my computer was safe that GuruAid never did.

So today I received an email stating my contract is being renewed for several hundred dollars. Interestingly I never had any problem getting through when I called in the past but for some reason I'm not able to get through to call them about it so I sent an email advising I did not renew a contract and asked them to send an email back to confirm that I was not being charged for that. At this writing several hours later I have still not received confirmation. Just wish I would have seen this before I ever signed any contract with them...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Reading some of these reviews is worrisome. I am going to say I've been with GuruAid going on 6 years. Technicians mostly have Indian names and they seem technologically skilled. I've not had GuruAid charge my credit card without my approval nor have I had them "hack" my computer, not to my knowledge. What does annoy me is the pressure to keep buying yet another year. They ask their customers to sign up for three years, not necessarily all at once. They told me once I did (3 year contract) no more requests to buy yet another year but that only held for so long. I find myself grappling with the technician telling him I would prefer to wait until my contract runs out.

For my purposes (computer cleanup, removal of viruses, Malware, etc., if there are any) speeding up my computer is mostly all I need though I have had them install things like anti-virus, email, etc., and adjust things like my 'Pictures' format. It has "been" $179 first year and then $100 per year for the next two years, less expensive I think than most American technicians. But again the pressure to buy yet another year is irritating. These negative reviews are worrisome. Though not every review here is negative; most are.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Tried to Syskey my system, thankfully it was trapped in a fake desktop at the time. Had it been my REAL outdated PC they would have corrupted my whole system. I am so glad I checked to see if this was a scam first.

GuruAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GuruAid provides tech support for third party brands and specializes in remote support.

• Money back guarantee: The company offers a money back guarantee if they’re unable to fix a problem or if the consumer is unsatisfied.

• Ability to address issues remotely: This service has technicians on call to address problems remotely without having to wait for technicians to arrive on site.

• Broad knowledge of products: GuruAid specializes in a wide range of products and services.

• Customer service: The company has poor reviews for customer service.

• Fees: This service charges a flat fee for annual maintenance.

• Certification: The technicians, while knowledgeable about a range of products, aren’t always certified to work on all of them.

• Best for: Individuals