2.33/5
Based on 48 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a tech support service?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

48 GuruAid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

GuruAid provided some helpful support while taking over my PC. I will not use them again. Why? Following a tuneup process after taking over my PC it would not restart. After several attempts GuruAid said it was the hardware and they did not work with hardware. When I disagreed, contesting that they had been in control of my PC and it had been working fine before they took over, they hung up. Getting a local tech over, I was told nothing was wrong with my hardware. In fact after two days rest my PC started. Had to pay for his tune up. Had already paid through GuruAid for the tune up what had to be repeated by the local. No more will a stranger take over my PC.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I was trying out a free version of AVAST and was having a problem that because I was in a hurry thought it would be easier to call them to find an easy fix (it was a minor problem). Thinking I was calling AVAST because GURUAID came up first when doing a GOOGLE search for AVAST, he said he needed access to my comp remotely and he assured me that he was licensed by AVAST (to reassure me). I gave him access reluctantly and because I was in a hurry when he said he needed $100 to fix the problem I told him I couldn't do it now and asked him to get off my comp... He said "No, I will wait here until you are free". At that point I started to panic, demanded he get off my comp and when he said no again I shut off the comp and called the real AVAST after looking them up on my phone. Barely avoided a disaster!!! AVAST found where he had installed a backdoor to get on my comp, which I had them remove.

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I called them because my computer was infected with a virus. They pretended to be McAfee. They seemed very professional and they took $300 dollars to fix the problem. Accessed my computer and would not exit when I was telling them that they need to remove themselves from the computer. They have now disappeared. Whenever I call them the line disconnects.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

GuruAid are HACKERS. When's I Googled "telephone norton" this company came up as first result. Their result page on google was clearly designed to deceive. I called and they continued to pretend to be Norton. Foolishly, I allowed them remote access to my PC (still thinking they were Norton). They sought the WMIC serial number from MSDOS and finally requested I pay for additional support. I suspect many people "THINK" they're calling Dell or Norton or whoever but actually end up with these hackers. STAY AWAY FROM GURUAID. THEY ARE HACKERS. A few hours later genuine Norton tech spent 30 minutes scouring my pc for malware. Luckily there wasn't any. But the serial number hack was shady.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

It was terrible, they were a rooting co. They took off my Avast. They put them self [GuruAid] down as the administrator. It's just a big mess. I think I'm going to try restore to an earlier date. I don't have any more dealings with GuruAid, business or friendship and I hope that I never hear from them again. I can't even explain to you how it feels to trust in someone, then as soon as GuruAid ended the call, I instantly saw it was a scam or rebooter. Now I'm left to deal with this mess that GuruAid left me with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GuruAid?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I called Dell customer support and ended up being switched to this Indian tech company. I had a problem where the computer would not boot up. I am still under Dell warranty support. The support people kept passing you around from one person to another and end up conning you into signing up for their service. The day after I went to their site which shows I can get a full refund within the first 30 days without question. I called but they refused to do that. It cost me $100.

Stay clear of this company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

September, 2018: My Windows 10 PC was running slowly and I had trouble getting Norton Updates to process. GuruAid fixed everything and explained why I was having problems. Yes, I paid $89.99 for the service, but it was worth it. I was on the phone and online chat for some time but the results were excellent. Yes, they tried to sell me a one-year support subscription, but I know better than to buy something I do not need.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I was prompted to write this positive review after reading a string of negative reviews that surprised me. This has not been my experience. When I called GuruAid earlier today about several problems I was having, I mentioned the seeing negative reviews online. They said that someone has been pretending to represent GuraAid and that they are looking into that. Perhaps this explains the negative reviews.

This evening they solved several problems, including re-activating the wireless connection to my printer that had failed due to a Windows upgrade. That required some creative, patient, and persistent problem-solving. Wireless printing is working again. As usual, they performed the usual temporary files clean up to restore Internet speed. In short, GuruAid has provide peace of mind at an affordable rate. I bought my first computer, a laptop, just a few years ago. Available 24/7, they take all the time needed to identify and solve problems. Due to English as a technician's second language, sometimes I have to ask them to repeat what they have said, but that is a minor inconvenience for the quality of customer service I receive. Thank you, GuruAid. I would be lost without you.

Original review: June 24, 2018

They sell you a 3-year contract for service over $700. When you want to cancel the contract 2 days later they ask for your bank account to refund a credit card transaction. They tell you that they cannot refund or cancel the credit card transaction and need your account information. I worked in a financial institution and you can refund money to a credit card. They would have to pull the information from their credit card transaction records with the client's name and amount.

Their technique is to ask for your credit card and when you inquire about the fee the quote the 3 year term without clarifying the term. When I talked to the manager I heard him ask to have my account pulled up on the computer. I was told a supervisor would have to call me back. I was asked for my account routing information and asking why they could not credit my credit card account. I was told they do not keep those records. Then why did the supervisor ask for my account information? The phone then hung up. I do not recommend this unscrupulous company. Buyer beware!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was trying to reach Avast, got GuruAid. The tech started talking about needing this thing, not needing another thing, then after helping me get a refund from Avast, he started working on my computer (clean up). No mention of cost of what he was doing, I asked several times. To make a long story short, I found out that they wanted to charge for this "clean up." I have called to dispute this. Hope I get refund.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Not happy with this company at all. For years they have taken money from my account without permission, I have sent email after email to cancel a direct debit which I had at least 6 yrs ago and they still took my money. I eventually got to speak to someone today and despite taken hundreds of pounds I still had to pay £80 to finally get my direct debit cancelled. ABSOLUTELY APPALLED BY THIS FIRM!!! DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I got a call from GuruAid to try their computer maintenance program. Upon using them, I purchased a one yr contract, $179. After 6 months I was hacked! Profanity, demands for $6,000, and child ** that would make a you sick!!! I called GuruAid to help out. They showed me the malicious files. Said they would cost $1800 to fix! They also provided ID of the hacker. Took my computer to my son, a software engineer for Lockheed Martin. He cleaned up all malicious files. HE ALSO SAID THE HACKER WAS GURUAID attempting to EXTORT ME!!! Reported to FTC & FBI & YELP & CONSUMER AFFAIRS!!! They are not only scam but pure CROOKS!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

After almost 3 hour on the phone when all I was asking about was a restart point the operator finally asked for $180 to fix the issue - as a pensioner I could not afford that. The number I called was an Avast specialist number - but wasn't - it was Guru Aid and all they wanted was money and access to my computer. Finally got off the phone and found an Avast Number and my issue was solved in 3 minutes at no cost. Read all the reviews and please warn the Australian public about Guru Aid who are a bunch of crooks who have no idea how to do anything except rob the unsuspecting.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Guruaid.com has committed identity theft when they charged my credit card $49.99 for something I did not authorize, I made claim and they answered: "Michael **, A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #** with the following response: You have contacted GuruAid.com. We are an independent provider of technical support services for several third party brands. We were unable to find any subscription details with GuruAid.com with the given information."

"If you are a subscribed member of GuruAid services, we request you to provide your GuruAid account number (9 digits long starting with GA) or Order Id to assist you better. We are not affiliated with any software company however; we do provide complete software support for Major Third party software companies. We do not have any subscription amount of 49.99. For your reference, you can contact the company that you are looking for or visit their website for any further queries."

Updated on 02/19/2018: I filed a complaint against GuruAid, complaining that GuruAid charged my credit card $49.99 for something I did not order. When I complained to their web page they answered that they didn't find any account under my name, then I contacted the phone I founded in my bank statement and a person with Indian accent, after I told him that GuruAid.com has been charged to me the amount of $499.99 and like to cancel the supposed subscription, and return to my credit card the amount charged. This guy told me there were no return or cancellation, that in order to cancel I must pay $100.00. I told him that I will spit in his mother as if I have to pay one penny and I told that I will complain to The Consumer Protection Agency GuruAid that robbery and he laughed in my face. How you like that subject thousands of miles away, get away with murder and our American institution can do a thing, must be a law to stop this thievery.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Do not ever call these dudes!!! I called about webroot and they told me I had a bunch of unwanted things on my computer and told me I needed to get it out. I had no idea it would cost me 180 dollars for them to do it!!! Then after I told them I had no credit card (I'm 15) they wanted to talk to my parents to convince them to pay! Do not recommend! They were hurt as heck after I told them I would make no payment, wouldn't be surprised if they downloaded something without my consent! Good service and they seemed to know what they were doing after connecting and controlling my computer. Knew it was fishy from the start. Do not use unless you want to pay them lots of money for using a free software to clean your computer and download McAfee.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

It's clearly a scam. I was trying to reinstall Webroot with the original keycode Webroot gave me for my previous computer. (It died and I had to replace a bad motherboard... I did a complete rebuild). The key code wasn't working so I googled Webroot and saw a number listed as their technical support (it is NOT Webroot's number, it's this GuruAid company's). After connecting to my computer the girl fiddled with it a bit. Then, she tried to say she found some "bad stuff" on it, which was impossible as this was a new build (not even 20 minutes old). My suspicion began to rise.

Eventually told me she could put Webroot back on my computer for the low low cost of only $120.00... Webroot is a $30 program, why on earth would I pay $120 to reinstall something I could simply buy for $90 less. At this point, I realized this was a scam. I disconnected and immediately changed passwords for my Google and Yahoo accounts (which she had me sign into). Since it was a new build, I also formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows (just in case she had inserted any malware or spyware).

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

GuruAid Maximum Disappointment. Tried to install McAfee antivirus on my new computer & it would lock up after 57% install. It popped up a code 7305 & to call tech support. That sent me to this outfit. Got the song and dance about how corrupted my new computer was. They had me sitting in front of my computer for over five hours while they "played" around installing & deleting McAfee over four times & consuming my internet usage. In that same period, they had McAfee tech support on my computer, also. NOTHING RESOLVED except loss patience, loss of $29.99 fee for McAfee, & their $188.00 fee for a year contract. Pretty much got scammed out of $188.00 dollars!! McAfee still not loaded. I had researched the antivirus software companies. How in the world did McAfee get top rating??

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I cannot verify this 100% but I used their service and when I let my contract end, I found it strange GURUAID would keep calling me afterwards... FYI, GURUAID does install 3rd party software/Freeware when they work on your PC. I found out this ddl was trying to initiate an outbound connection. Guess where this outbound connection went to hmm. I recommend you get a very good Malware program to monitor what is happening behind the scenes on your computer.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I googled the customer service phone to my anti-virus and GuruAid was the first listing that came up. I called the number and the person I spoke with said they were the technical support branch of my anti-virus software. They accessed my computer and said it was riddled with viruses, malware, and the registry was a mess. They said they could fix it for $180, since I'm not very tech savvy I agreed and they put me on hold. While on hold I looked them up on my cell phone and found they were a scam. A guy came back on the phone with a heavy Indian accent and I could not understand a word he said. I told him that I did not wish to proceed and wanted to cancel the fee. They agreed and said I would get an e-mail of the refund to the card. The e-mail never came and I am currently disputing the charges with my credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The problem is I am 78 years old. The Guru, of course, convinced me he would solve all my PC problems if he could have access to my pc. I stupidly let him and ended up putting 400.00 on my credit card for a 3-year contract for Unlimited technical support via phone, chat and remote access. I was encouraged to contact them each month so they could access my pc and keep it running smoothly! All of this is very true!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Went online to get contact details for McAfee and Guruaid was at top with free number to call. Only thought something strange when wasn't taken to McAfee site but Guruaid site and they wanted remote access to my computer. Luckily I've watched consumer tv shows in the UK and hung up. They said they were McAfee but were lying. Do NOT USE OR TRUST THEM. THEY ARE AT IT!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

The technicians are well versed and slipper. I bought a subscription but refused to accept any software updates the following month. The GuruAid techs call me 5 times a day, 6 days a week, for the last 3 weeks and counting. They refuse to stop calling unless you make a purchase. Should be shut down...

Original review: June 29, 2017

Their phone number is one digit off of Dell tech support. If you accidentally dial their number, which my wife did, they will pretend to be Dell and try to sell you protection plans. In our case, it's for a Dell that is still under warranty and protection plan. Pretty scummy in my opinion. Stay far away from GuruAid, they are dishonest scammers. If I can throw Best Buy under the bus as well: the only reason that we are calling Dell directly is because of the comprehensive ineptitude of Geek Squad.

Original review: June 10, 2017

This is one of the growing computer assistant companies whose employees are from "some other country" who are now using iTunes cards to scam their customers. They get you to pay for their services by using the cards and then selling the codes on the back on black market sites or using them themselves. They do not provide any noticeable services and when I took my computer into have it debugged at a local computer store, there were more viruses than when they said they had cleaned it. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 8, 2017

These people appear to be qualified in what they do. I will indeed give them credit for that. However there is excessive pressure to renew for additional years into the future. The other morning, I was examining my Walmart Mastercard, something I frequently do. The numbers didn't quite add up either. It appears that someone had taken the liberty to charge my credit card behind my back for services I had not prev. authorized.

A familiar voice answered the phone when I called the toll free number to have the pending charge taken off. "Oh, but this was a backup service to the Cloud" was the response. When I began telling the other end to remove the charges immediately I started spelling out my last name, as if he didn't know. "You don't have to spell it" was the response. To that I merely say that charging my credit card over $140.00 behind my back is totally unacceptable, and apparently that had to be spelled out! How conniving and slippery! The charge is now gone. Like I said they do acceptable work, but watch your credit card like a hawk.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I went to Avast to demand reimbursement for a charge I did not incur. When I clicked on a customer support link it took me to GuruAid. There was a phone number for customer service. I called. A gentleman answered. After explaining everything he said he could issue a refund but had to access my computer, being trusting I let him have remote access. After giving him access he told me that the settings in my computer we're causing problems, he said that he could fix the settings if I paid them $110. That's when I disconnected from the remote service.

He had issued a refund and it would take 4 to 5 business days and once again reiterated he could fix my computer for $110. I promptly disconnected from remote access. Since then I have been having problems with my computer and was never issued a refund. The next day I was actually able to contact Avast through the mail and they said they did not charge my account. GuruAid are frauds, and thieves. They have left me contacting an attorney for the fraudulent charges. Do not trust this company. Do not give them remote access. I should have listened to my instinct and never let them remotely access my computer.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I genuinely feel sorry for all the other people who have reviewed this who paid for services, especially the woman who said they took her for $500. They provide no real services, they are tricking you into thinking your system is infected. It may be infected, but these people can't help. They use free software and rarely address any issue. They pretend to fix your issue and take advantage of the fact that you aren't tech-savvy. You should never give them access to your computer or bank account, they are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Complete liars/do not represent McAfee. Taking advantage of my mistake of calling GuruAid instead of McAfee and violating my privacy on my laptop acting as McAfee to uninstall my antivirus by gaining remote access. Led me to believe they are McAfee.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Great service - very detailed and easy to use. If there is ever an issue that comes up it is very quick and easy to get the help you need in a timely manner and anyone you speak with is very supportive and knows what needs to be done and get it done without issues. Customer service reps are always readily available and take the time to answer all questions and get any and all problems resolved to the customer's satisfaction before ending the contact. Very competitive in cost and the value of the customer service alone and their expertise is worth more than the cost customers are required to pay and this is a great value.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

GuruAid is very good and I'm very impressed with it. It is extremely useful, and is everything they said it would be. The service provided was fantastic. Highly impressed with its technology. It was more than easy to install, hook up and use. I had no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend this item to my friends and anyone who could use this. Great communication, all my questions were answered with ease and was made simple to understand. They answer right away and thorough. I'm by no means wealthy, but felt spending the money it costed would be worth it. I do wish that the amount to purchase was lower. If you made it more affordable many others would buy this.

GuruAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GuruAid provides tech support for third party brands and specializes in remote support.

• Money back guarantee: The company offers a money back guarantee if they’re unable to fix a problem or if the consumer is unsatisfied.

• Ability to address issues remotely: This service has technicians on call to address problems remotely without having to wait for technicians to arrive on site.

• Broad knowledge of products: GuruAid specializes in a wide range of products and services.

• Customer service: The company has poor reviews for customer service.

• Fees: This service charges a flat fee for annual maintenance.

• Certification: The technicians, while knowledgeable about a range of products, aren’t always certified to work on all of them.

• Best for: Individuals