2.46/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a tech support service?

41 GuruAid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 23, 2018

I was prompted to write this positive review after reading a string of negative reviews that surprised me. This has not been my experience. When I called GuruAid earlier today about several problems I was having, I mentioned the seeing negative reviews online. They said that someone has been pretending to represent GuraAid and that they are looking into that. Perhaps this explains the negative reviews.

This evening they solved several problems, including re-activating the wireless connection to my printer that had failed due to a Windows upgrade. That required some creative, patient, and persistent problem-solving. Wireless printing is working again. As usual, they performed the usual temporary files clean up to restore Internet speed. In short, GuruAid has provide peace of mind at an affordable rate. I bought my first computer, a laptop, just a few years ago. Available 24/7, they take all the time needed to identify and solve problems. Due to English as a technician's second language, sometimes I have to ask them to repeat what they have said, but that is a minor inconvenience for the quality of customer service I receive. Thank you, GuruAid. I would be lost without you.

Original review: June 24, 2018

They sell you a 3-year contract for service over $700. When you want to cancel the contract 2 days later they ask for your bank account to refund a credit card transaction. They tell you that they cannot refund or cancel the credit card transaction and need your account information. I worked in a financial institution and you can refund money to a credit card. They would have to pull the information from their credit card transaction records with the client's name and amount.

Their technique is to ask for your credit card and when you inquire about the fee the quote the 3 year term without clarifying the term. When I talked to the manager I heard him ask to have my account pulled up on the computer. I was told a supervisor would have to call me back. I was asked for my account routing information and asking why they could not credit my credit card account. I was told they do not keep those records. Then why did the supervisor ask for my account information? The phone then hung up. I do not recommend this unscrupulous company. Buyer beware!

Get expert buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was trying to reach Avast, got GuruAid. The tech started talking about needing this thing, not needing another thing, then after helping me get a refund from Avast, he started working on my computer (clean up). No mention of cost of what he was doing, I asked several times. To make a long story short, I found out that they wanted to charge for this "clean up." I have called to dispute this. Hope I get refund.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Not happy with this company at all. For years they have taken money from my account without permission, I have sent email after email to cancel a direct debit which I had at least 6 yrs ago and they still took my money. I eventually got to speak to someone today and despite taken hundreds of pounds I still had to pay £80 to finally get my direct debit cancelled. ABSOLUTELY APPALLED BY THIS FIRM!!! DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I got a call from GuruAid to try their computer maintenance program. Upon using them, I purchased a one yr contract, $179. After 6 months I was hacked! Profanity, demands for $6,000, and child ** that would make a you sick!!! I called GuruAid to help out. They showed me the malicious files. Said they would cost $1800 to fix! They also provided ID of the hacker. Took my computer to my son, a software engineer for Lockheed Martin. He cleaned up all malicious files. HE ALSO SAID THE HACKER WAS GURUAID attempting to EXTORT ME!!! Reported to FTC & FBI & YELP & CONSUMER AFFAIRS!!! They are not only scam but pure CROOKS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GuruAid?

Original review: March 7, 2018

After almost 3 hour on the phone when all I was asking about was a restart point the operator finally asked for $180 to fix the issue - as a pensioner I could not afford that. The number I called was an Avast specialist number - but wasn't - it was Guru Aid and all they wanted was money and access to my computer. Finally got off the phone and found an Avast Number and my issue was solved in 3 minutes at no cost. Read all the reviews and please warn the Australian public about Guru Aid who are a bunch of crooks who have no idea how to do anything except rob the unsuspecting.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Guruaid.com has committed identity theft when they charged my credit card $49.99 for something I did not authorize, I made claim and they answered: "Michael **, A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #** with the following response: You have contacted GuruAid.com. We are an independent provider of technical support services for several third party brands. We were unable to find any subscription details with GuruAid.com with the given information."

"If you are a subscribed member of GuruAid services, we request you to provide your GuruAid account number (9 digits long starting with GA) or Order Id to assist you better. We are not affiliated with any software company however; we do provide complete software support for Major Third party software companies. We do not have any subscription amount of 49.99. For your reference, you can contact the company that you are looking for or visit their website for any further queries."

Updated on 02/19/2018: I filed a complaint against GuruAid, complaining that GuruAid charged my credit card $49.99 for something I did not order. When I complained to their web page they answered that they didn't find any account under my name, then I contacted the phone I founded in my bank statement and a person with Indian accent, after I told him that GuruAid.com has been charged to me the amount of $499.99 and like to cancel the supposed subscription, and return to my credit card the amount charged. This guy told me there were no return or cancellation, that in order to cancel I must pay $100.00. I told him that I will spit in his mother as if I have to pay one penny and I told that I will complain to The Consumer Protection Agency GuruAid that robbery and he laughed in my face. How you like that subject thousands of miles away, get away with murder and our American institution can do a thing, must be a law to stop this thievery.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Do not ever call these dudes!!! I called about webroot and they told me I had a bunch of unwanted things on my computer and told me I needed to get it out. I had no idea it would cost me 180 dollars for them to do it!!! Then after I told them I had no credit card (I'm 15) they wanted to talk to my parents to convince them to pay! Do not recommend! They were hurt as heck after I told them I would make no payment, wouldn't be surprised if they downloaded something without my consent! Good service and they seemed to know what they were doing after connecting and controlling my computer. Knew it was fishy from the start. Do not use unless you want to pay them lots of money for using a free software to clean your computer and download McAfee.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

It's clearly a scam. I was trying to reinstall Webroot with the original keycode Webroot gave me for my previous computer. (It died and I had to replace a bad motherboard... I did a complete rebuild). The key code wasn't working so I googled Webroot and saw a number listed as their technical support (it is NOT Webroot's number, it's this GuruAid company's). After connecting to my computer the girl fiddled with it a bit. Then, she tried to say she found some "bad stuff" on it, which was impossible as this was a new build (not even 20 minutes old). My suspicion began to rise.

Eventually told me she could put Webroot back on my computer for the low low cost of only $120.00... Webroot is a $30 program, why on earth would I pay $120 to reinstall something I could simply buy for $90 less. At this point, I realized this was a scam. I disconnected and immediately changed passwords for my Google and Yahoo accounts (which she had me sign into). Since it was a new build, I also formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows (just in case she had inserted any malware or spyware).

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

GuruAid Maximum Disappointment. Tried to install McAfee antivirus on my new computer & it would lock up after 57% install. It popped up a code 7305 & to call tech support. That sent me to this outfit. Got the song and dance about how corrupted my new computer was. They had me sitting in front of my computer for over five hours while they "played" around installing & deleting McAfee over four times & consuming my internet usage. In that same period, they had McAfee tech support on my computer, also. NOTHING RESOLVED except loss patience, loss of $29.99 fee for McAfee, & their $188.00 fee for a year contract. Pretty much got scammed out of $188.00 dollars!! McAfee still not loaded. I had researched the antivirus software companies. How in the world did McAfee get top rating??

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I cannot verify this 100% but I used their service and when I let my contract end, I found it strange GURUAID would keep calling me afterwards... FYI, GURUAID does install 3rd party software/Freeware when they work on your PC. I found out this ddl was trying to initiate an outbound connection. Guess where this outbound connection went to hmm. I recommend you get a very good Malware program to monitor what is happening behind the scenes on your computer.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I googled the customer service phone to my anti-virus and GuruAid was the first listing that came up. I called the number and the person I spoke with said they were the technical support branch of my anti-virus software. They accessed my computer and said it was riddled with viruses, malware, and the registry was a mess. They said they could fix it for $180, since I'm not very tech savvy I agreed and they put me on hold. While on hold I looked them up on my cell phone and found they were a scam. A guy came back on the phone with a heavy Indian accent and I could not understand a word he said. I told him that I did not wish to proceed and wanted to cancel the fee. They agreed and said I would get an e-mail of the refund to the card. The e-mail never came and I am currently disputing the charges with my credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The problem is I am 78 years old. The Guru, of course, convinced me he would solve all my PC problems if he could have access to my pc. I stupidly let him and ended up putting 400.00 on my credit card for a 3-year contract for Unlimited technical support via phone, chat and remote access. I was encouraged to contact them each month so they could access my pc and keep it running smoothly! All of this is very true!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Went online to get contact details for McAfee and Guruaid was at top with free number to call. Only thought something strange when wasn't taken to McAfee site but Guruaid site and they wanted remote access to my computer. Luckily I've watched consumer tv shows in the UK and hung up. They said they were McAfee but were lying. Do NOT USE OR TRUST THEM. THEY ARE AT IT!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

The technicians are well versed and slipper. I bought a subscription but refused to accept any software updates the following month. The GuruAid techs call me 5 times a day, 6 days a week, for the last 3 weeks and counting. They refuse to stop calling unless you make a purchase. Should be shut down...

Original review: June 29, 2017

Their phone number is one digit off of Dell tech support. If you accidentally dial their number, which my wife did, they will pretend to be Dell and try to sell you protection plans. In our case, it's for a Dell that is still under warranty and protection plan. Pretty scummy in my opinion. Stay far away from GuruAid, they are dishonest scammers. If I can throw Best Buy under the bus as well: the only reason that we are calling Dell directly is because of the comprehensive ineptitude of Geek Squad.

Original review: June 10, 2017

This is one of the growing computer assistant companies whose employees are from "some other country" who are now using iTunes cards to scam their customers. They get you to pay for their services by using the cards and then selling the codes on the back on black market sites or using them themselves. They do not provide any noticeable services and when I took my computer into have it debugged at a local computer store, there were more viruses than when they said they had cleaned it. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 8, 2017

These people appear to be qualified in what they do. I will indeed give them credit for that. However there is excessive pressure to renew for additional years into the future. The other morning, I was examining my Walmart Mastercard, something I frequently do. The numbers didn't quite add up either. It appears that someone had taken the liberty to charge my credit card behind my back for services I had not prev. authorized.

A familiar voice answered the phone when I called the toll free number to have the pending charge taken off. "Oh, but this was a backup service to the Cloud" was the response. When I began telling the other end to remove the charges immediately I started spelling out my last name, as if he didn't know. "You don't have to spell it" was the response. To that I merely say that charging my credit card over $140.00 behind my back is totally unacceptable, and apparently that had to be spelled out! How conniving and slippery! The charge is now gone. Like I said they do acceptable work, but watch your credit card like a hawk.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I went to Avast to demand reimbursement for a charge I did not incur. When I clicked on a customer support link it took me to GuruAid. There was a phone number for customer service. I called. A gentleman answered. After explaining everything he said he could issue a refund but had to access my computer, being trusting I let him have remote access. After giving him access he told me that the settings in my computer we're causing problems, he said that he could fix the settings if I paid them $110. That's when I disconnected from the remote service.

He had issued a refund and it would take 4 to 5 business days and once again reiterated he could fix my computer for $110. I promptly disconnected from remote access. Since then I have been having problems with my computer and was never issued a refund. The next day I was actually able to contact Avast through the mail and they said they did not charge my account. GuruAid are frauds, and thieves. They have left me contacting an attorney for the fraudulent charges. Do not trust this company. Do not give them remote access. I should have listened to my instinct and never let them remotely access my computer.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I genuinely feel sorry for all the other people who have reviewed this who paid for services, especially the woman who said they took her for $500. They provide no real services, they are tricking you into thinking your system is infected. It may be infected, but these people can't help. They use free software and rarely address any issue. They pretend to fix your issue and take advantage of the fact that you aren't tech-savvy. You should never give them access to your computer or bank account, they are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Complete liars/do not represent McAfee. Taking advantage of my mistake of calling GuruAid instead of McAfee and violating my privacy on my laptop acting as McAfee to uninstall my antivirus by gaining remote access. Led me to believe they are McAfee.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Great service - very detailed and easy to use. If there is ever an issue that comes up it is very quick and easy to get the help you need in a timely manner and anyone you speak with is very supportive and knows what needs to be done and get it done without issues. Customer service reps are always readily available and take the time to answer all questions and get any and all problems resolved to the customer's satisfaction before ending the contact. Very competitive in cost and the value of the customer service alone and their expertise is worth more than the cost customers are required to pay and this is a great value.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

GuruAid is very good and I'm very impressed with it. It is extremely useful, and is everything they said it would be. The service provided was fantastic. Highly impressed with its technology. It was more than easy to install, hook up and use. I had no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend this item to my friends and anyone who could use this. Great communication, all my questions were answered with ease and was made simple to understand. They answer right away and thorough. I'm by no means wealthy, but felt spending the money it costed would be worth it. I do wish that the amount to purchase was lower. If you made it more affordable many others would buy this.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I am not a computer person so having GuruAid has been a big help. The staff are patient and take the time to walk you thru your problem. GuruAid has a reachable service that provides enough staff to help their customers. You are not placed on hold forever either. You will be helped in a timely manner. Good service in a reliable manner. When I was hacked they got me thru the process and saved my laptop. They are polite and fast, making the process easy. Much better than the other company I was with that allowed me to get hacked and were less than helpful. I would recommend GuruAid, no hesitation. They will make sure you are good to go. They are knowledgeable and will get the problem fixed.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Their quality of service is really great. I never thought getting aid could be so easy or that staff could be so polite and welcoming. I have a lot of health problems but GuruAid has made me feel amazing. However, their device support could be better. Some of their employees don't know how to set up some of my devices and as a result it has become a very lengthy and rather tedious task but it does get done. But, they always have someone available for customer service and they are all rather knowledgeable and patient with me. I enjoy their company and feel welcome to call whenever I have questions since they solve them right away. Their value is excellent and they are worth every second of my time as well as every cent that I spend with them. They are so generous and really great at their jobs.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

The quality of this service is extremely great. It supports other devices by letting you connect to different devices and being extremely open to any bluetooth enabled device. It is very easy to navigate with and use. Their employees in this company are so nice and customer service is available 24/7 year around. They are always willing to help and give as much feedback as they possibly can. They are helpful because to them no question or concern is a stupid one. They are very open and honest company. Their service value is great because they take pride in their company and being there for their customers as much as possible. They always ask for customer feedback so they can become better as a company. They are customer based and will do anything just to keep their customers happy and to keep coming back time and time again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

My experience with GuruAid has been a very beneficial and pleasant one. I have found that they perform their service in a very professional manner. I feel that I will continue to use their services.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Very professional. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I have always received excellent service. I am not computer-literate, but GuruAid's people are very patient and take the time to communicate fully. I have always had good results from my dealings with GuruAid and their people.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Very prompt, knew his work, able to explain what happened, sent into detail what went wrong and how l can prevent it in the future. Gave instructions on what to look for in the future so I don't get into trouble. Like anticipating what could go wrong! The first time I've had a support system that looks out for me! Teaching me how to protect my devices and learn the inward workings so I can better anticipate an error before it happens! All support should be that. Responsive, can't stress that enough! Available whenever I need them! I work late hours and if I run into a glitch they have my back! Anyone who has a business or hobby and needs reliable service and support needs this company! Without cost!!! Never could put a price on the peace of mind I get knowing this company will take care of my needs! They not only fix my problem, also support me in other products that will work with me to increase my productivity.

Not sure about GuruAid?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Tech Support Services for you.

GuruAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GuruAid provides tech support for third party brands and specializes in remote support.

• Money back guarantee: The company offers a money back guarantee if they’re unable to fix a problem or if the consumer is unsatisfied.

• Ability to address issues remotely: This service has technicians on call to address problems remotely without having to wait for technicians to arrive on site.

• Broad knowledge of products: GuruAid specializes in a wide range of products and services.

• Customer service: The company has poor reviews for customer service.

• Fees: This service charges a flat fee for annual maintenance.

• Certification: The technicians, while knowledgeable about a range of products, aren’t always certified to work on all of them.

• Best for: Individuals

Branford
    CT
    www.guruaid.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business