Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.75/5

My Computer Works! ...Does yours?

My Computer Works, Inc. is a leading provider of help desk and personal technology support services for thousands of consumers and small businesses nationwide. The company's friendly, patient and professional U.S.-based technicians are available 7 days a week to solve your problems immediately.

With a number of affordable options, including one-time support and unlimited support memberships, everyone should be able to say: "My Computer Works! Does Yours?"

My Computer Works Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about My Computer Works?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about My Computer Works?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I signed up with My Computer Works about a year ago. I paid $40/ month (all monies rounded off for pennies), which included $5 for premium service so I could get a tech call back within three hours, instead of waiting much longer. The techs were sometimes good. sometimes incompetent. Examples of the latter: One tech did not know that the icons on the top toolbar of Microsoft Word are put there by the user (I put them there). He said they were put there by Microsoft and thus could not be rearranged. Sad, that I knew more about it than he did.

Another told me that for One Drive to work it had to be synched with my Documents file. Not true. It caused me much time wasted to figure this out and correct it. A third tech claimed that un-checking the "collapse the ribbon" prompt so the Home page on Word would be the default was too complicated for anyone but a tech to do it. It is quite simple. A child could do it.

The last mentioned tech called me back an hour or so after our session, and told me that he looked over my record and my plan entitled me to IDrive, MCW's file backup. I told him I didn't need or want it, since I had a flash drive backup and used One Drive for further backup as well. He claimed One Drive wasn't really on the Cloud or some such, and that I should use IDrive since it was already included. I acquiesced. The next month the charge, automatically deducted from my debit card, and thus checking account, was $50. I called to find out why. Billing rarely answers their phone, so I had to speak to the tech reservations associate. She told me the charge was for IDrive. I explained the particulars and she said the head of billing would call me.

After two days of no call from billing, I filed a dispute with my bank for the $10. The following day I called billing, and this time got to speak to a rep there. I told her I would drop the dispute, and MCW could just give me back the $10, so they could avoid paperwork and such. The woman I spoke to said, "You already filed a dispute." She wasn't amenable to me dropping it. That made no sense at the time. Anyway, I just let the process play out and of course won the dispute.

Everything proceeded as normal for a week or so. One day I left my number for a call back from a tech as usual, but got no call back all day. That never happened before. I called the next day, and spoke to a tech reservations associate, relating the no callback. She checked my account and told me my services had been terminated. I asked why.

She said it was because I filed a dispute, and "that costs us a lot of money." I told her I had no way of knowing that, and whatever cost was accrued I would pay MCW, and have my bank pay them back the $10 as well. Notice that MCW didn't even have the courtesy to let me know my services were terminated. Anyway, I was referred to Kerry (a woman, so not sure of spelling), the head of both billing and customer care.

Extensive emails to Kerry explaining all, were never returned. Finally after a few tries and some phone tag (all but one of the five messages left by me to her), I got to speak to Kerry via phone. I asked her to listen to the recording of the tech telling me to engage IDrive for free. It was easy to track down because it happened on the same day Idrive was engaged.

Kerry refused to do so, saying she'd rather rely on his notes. She then claimed that once a person files a dispute that means they no longer want to do business with MCW. That was beyond absurd. Kerry was totally intransigent. It was clear no matter what I said, or could prove, or offered to MCW in terms of compensation to resolve matters, she would not consider any of it in any way.

As she was aware, I am 79 and disabled (spondylitis an auto-immune disease that affects the spine). I badly need tech services. That didn't matter to MCW. The treatment about the billing issues I received from them was inhuman. As it actually would be for anyone, disabled or not. As shown, the tech services themselves were also filled with incompetence.

Weeks later, much after the termination, they were still backing up my files with IDrive. More incompetence. I emailed, and then I got an IDrive popup which said the backup failed because of cancellation of services. So they can't even eliminate that correctly. Now I get a popup asking me to restart IDrive, rather ridiculous. If you want to use a company that is filled with incompetence on many levels, and inhumanity on others, engage MyComputerWorks. Otherwise use one of the other computer tech support companies. They have to be better. I'll be signing up for one of them shortly. I advise you to do so as well.

Original review: July 12, 2019

September 2018, I requested My Computer Works look at my computer which had ceased to operate after a Windows 10 update. I had to give my credit card information. The technician BRIEFLY connected to my computer and informed me my computer was old and couldn't be fixed. I assumed there was no charge for this initial evaluation which took less than two minutes. Assuming that was it I forgot about them. They then drafted my account for $400 over the next months. I discovered they had signed me up without my authorization for a service contract on a computer they said could never be fixed.

Next they raised the service contract's monthly draft by 17% without informing me. I requested a full refund and informed them I was not pleased with how I was treated. Ellisha ** said she would get back to me. I have yet to hear from her. I'm still out $400. If they were a five-star company, they would have refunded all my money and then asked me to contact them next time I had a computer problem. The only way they can remain in business is to steal money off credit cards without fixing computers for customers and then sign them up for service contracts without their authorization. THIEVES AND EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. BEWARE!!!

Get buying tips about Tech Support Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I just signed up today with the monthly service plan. Called and spoke with Josh, he set me up very quickly! Anthony from tech support called, I let him have at my computer!! It's brand new and was running slow! Much better now! Thanks so much for taking good care of me!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Anthony ** did an amazing job on my computer. He got it cleaned up and removed a virus. He was very respectable and considerate. He got it fixed in a very reasonable amount of time. I will call again when I need help. Thank you.

Insufficient response received
      Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The computer technician that My Computer Works sent was terrible, didn't help us at all, was just determined that we sign the "contract" with MCW that relieved them of all responsibility re: if the technician know what he was doing. He stayed for few minutes, took the casing off of the tower, fiddled around for a few minutes, then left without restarting or reviewing if the computer worked. When we tried to connect to the internet there was no connection, no matter what we tried. We ended up going back to an Ethernet setup because the connection in the tower was completely gone. And the tech had just left the casing off of the tower when he left.

Everyone should beware of this company. When I called them, they said that they were only a broker and that they did not guarantee any kind of result from their network of technicians. When we called the technician to complain, he said that we had to pay another $117 for him to come out. This company is the worst I have ever dealt with. They are a sham designed to rip people off! I can't believe they are still in business! They should be investigated for fraud and scamming people out of money for worthless service! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Insufficient response received
      Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had an issue in November 2018 with my HP All-In-One PC. It wouldn't boot up and I could not find my restore disc. The tech at MCW talked like he was stoned, very slow with long pauses in between. I gave him the info he asked for and his response was, 'Ugg all in one PC's have a tendency to do this, you're better off buying a new PC'! He said he was escalating to tech 2 - NEVER got a call back in over a week. I took it down the street to my local PC repair shop and they had me up and running in 1 day! REALLY?

The solution from MCW was to buy a new computer? Second issue, I canceled our service for 2 computers after this instance due to lack of professionalism and being unresponsive - they never answer the phone, you have to email and leave messages and HOPE they call you back. This is January 3, 2019 and I just got billed again! Left ANOTHER message and sent yet ANOTHER email requesting to CANCEL and refund fees from back to November 2018. HORRIBLE SERVICE!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I was told I would be emailed a receipt. Never received. The TECH was in the computer 3 hours, did good doing a cleanup. The TECH told me I needed a new computer even with my computer will be 3 years old come 12/26. It has WIN10 and he stated the updates would slow down my computer. He stated they provide a serves to select a new computer. I suspect that they also sell computers and this is an attempt to have me buy from them.

I work for an IT company. I talked to my boss and he said I should not have a problem with WIN10 updates stowing down my computer, for how I use one it should be okay. I wonder now if something was done to have a program running in the background which cause my computer to slow down. I do the task manager and see CPU percentage high. Then when I try to see what is running it goes away. I paid the $99 and will try the company a month or so. If things don't improve I will cancel and find a different company that is not interested in me getting a new computer.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Anthony did an excellent job. I chose remote repair and was not disappointed. The whole process was quick and easy and definitely stress free. I will call again when I have questions or problems. Thank you!!

Resolution response: Oct. 16, 2018

We had used this company for a few months and while they are knowledgeable in fixing computer issues, we had to cancel due to the commencement of service taking longer than 1-hr (we had the Executive Support plan). HOWEVER, the customer service provided by Kerry (customer relations manager) was excellent- 5 stars. She was very good with getting back to us with calls and emails (we had an issue with our phone line which we didn't know about for a couple of days) as well providing us with all requested information.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I signed up for the 1-hr call-back guarantee (at an extra charge) months ago, but there had been multiple times that my requests had gone without a call-back for well over an hour which resulted in my spending an entire weekend working on the problem myself. I signed up with this company because of the aforementioned guarantee as technical issues can wreak havoc on small businesses. I requested the service be canceled months ago - didn't happen. I was unable to receive assistance via phone (lines are always tied up).

I then emailed the billing department, received ONE email from Alicia stating she had called (I was unable to answer due to a business meeting) and gave her availability for the day. I followed up that SAME day... Nothing. Since her (one) call nearly 1 month ago, I have attempted to contact her via FIVE emails to Alicia in addition to attempting to contact the company via email and phone (again, always busy). AND I'm still getting billed.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Computer was responding poorly, freezing up and not communicating. Antony did a wonderful job in fixing all the issues I had with my computer and it is working fine now. I also had issues with my printer and that has been resolved successfully. I would highly recommend their services.

My Computer Works author review by ConsumerAffairs

My Computer Works, Inc. was established in 2005 and is headquartered in Scottsdale, Ariz. They offer remote technical support for all types of devices to individuals and businesses.

• Service options: My Computer Works offers a wide variety of services, including remote assistance, data backup, onsite support, virus removal and more. They can help customers with both PCs and Macs as well as smart phones and tablets.

• Membership plans: My Computer Work offers several types of memberships and stand-alone services to meet consumers’ needs. The company’s website clearly lists the services included in and prices of each plan.

• Online chat: Interested consumers can get answers to their questions about My Computer Works via a live chat tool on the company’s website. This tool makes it easy to learn more about their services.

• Response time: Each membership plan lists the maximum time frame customers will have to wait to receive support after they report a problem. Consumers can feel confident in knowing their request will be addressed in a timely fashion.

• Blog: Interested consumers can flow the MCW Blog to read about tech news and treads as well as way they can protect themselves from online scammers. The blog is updated regularly.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team