3.04/5
Based on 120 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a solar energy company?

120 SunPower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

We put a SunPower system on my roof in 2015. From the get go we have had nothing but problems with it. The SunPower's local rep... SETH ** acted like my friend and gave me a line of BULL that would choke a horse on how he was going to fix the problem! Well, as of this week, our system has smoked its 3rd inverter! And no sign or anything from SETH ** OF ROSEVILLE CALIFORNIA... the man's a liar and cheat. And in between all of this our system was down for 10 months due to waiting for this last inverter to be made they said... so they deferred the payments... didn't charge me a monthly fee. How generous of them.

Now they want to charge me $2000 for back payments... for a system that wasn't working but they want me to pay... and put the cost on the back end of the lease! What a joke of a company this is and the people they have ripping them... DON'T GO WITH SUNPOWER. THEY SUCK! Can't wait to see my PGE thru up this year. SETH! THANKS FOR NOTHING!

Original review: July 13, 2018

On May 5, 2018, my solar panels we turned on. From that day forward to the present I have had continuous error codes showing on the inverter's display. I have to do a complete shutdown of the system, wait five minutes and turn the system back on. Sometimes this procedure will be successful or I have to do it all over again. I have called SunPower, several times and complained with no satisfaction on their part. No one ever returns my calls. They know what the issue is and choose to ignore it.

The problem is that there is a sensor inside the inverters which is causing the issue. It is a simple solution as far as I am concerned... replace the sensors or the inverters. I have filed a complaint with BBB and I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General. SunPower states that they stand by their service. It has now been a little over two months and still nothing has been done. Worst company that I have ever dealt with.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 9, 2018

My solar monitoring service has not worked in almost a year. Installer (finally after a month of calls) came out to look at the monitoring device and could not fix it. SunPower has done nothing to help fix the issue. They have already been paid. Spent hours on hold on the phone. No calls back. Absolutely horrible customer service.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Our system has 17 panels out of 56 that are not working. This is because they have installed inferior micro inverters on their panels. They know about this but they are not doing anything about it and not supporting their installers by providing them with replacement inverters and paying their installers and paying fair market rate for replacing the inverters. Please let us know if you want to file a class action lawsuit with us.

Original review: June 29, 2018

My purchased Sunpower system was installed and running late December 2016. Like other customers I was told in my home by the sales rep the system will be designed to take care of my electricity needs based on my previous PGE bills and usage. AND anticipation of installing a hot tub... Well guess what?! Our first true Up was $899.14! Merry ** Christmas from Sunpower! I recommend keeping a credit in your PGE acct that matches the estimated true up so you do not get anymore Xmas surprises. The monitoring system has failed off and on since 2/2017.

In mid March we began calling to Sunpower inquiring on how much our system is actually producing.? All we get is a totally runaround and excuses -NO fix. The installer WESTHAVEN initially told us "They will get right on it"... that we "needed a new "CT" and they are "on backorder and they will call when it comes in"... Weeks go by, naturally I have to call them to check status and am told, "Oh, we did get them but they are LOST in their warehouse and they can't find them!" They think someone stole them! WTF.

Then I am told that Sunpower has taken over my problem and Sunpower told Westhaven ALL our microinverters must be replaced/retrofitted and I will get a call soon from another company called SunEdison that will install the new microinverters. GUESS WHAT? No call so far. Westhaven also stated after I pressed them as to why they were not taking care of the situation since they were our installer, that if they did that they would have no time for the other customers - they are too busy. Also that Sunpower wanted a cheaper company for the repair. Horrible service on All sides. BUYER BEWARE. I will repost if we do get this resolved in any way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: June 12, 2018

First of all, this is a horrific experience. I don’t know where to get started... I purchase SunPower a few months ago... The system never worked. They talk about servicing the system but it takes them to come out forever... As a new customer, if my system hasn’t worked why am I’m waiting for so long... months and months. It’s frustrating that I got this and I’m still paying PG and E and Sunpower and my system never worked... Sun Power refuses to provide me upper management info... I’m not sure why. I can’t talk to anyone or get this escalated. My system is still not working and no one doesn’t care.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We bought a generator in SunPower service last year. Sarangan is the marketing person who selled generator to us. Margin price was high comparing with our generator companies, we never bother about price but he is very big Cheater. Once he selling his product to us after his all fake promise are we come to know. Very very worst service I faced ever. Very poor customer service. This kind of persons defecting their company so give proper guidance to illusioned person or throughout your company... He is a always liar & cheater. Don't buy any generator & anything to them...

Original review: May 24, 2018

We just got a big NEM bill for PG&E and we were told by the Sunpower rep that this would not happen, what a ripoff this is. PG&E overcharges and Sunpower is nowhere to help or fix issue with overcharging. Not happy with this and issue with for over 2 months. In the beginning our system was not even running and they charged me when they never turned the system up...

Original review: May 16, 2018

I leased a solar system from Sunpower for my Rancho Mirage, CA home in 2016. In 2017 I realized my solar system was not working in June of that year. I called and wrote to Sunpower more than 20 times. They did not send out a representative until November of that year who confirmed my system was not working. I received a huge true up bill from Southern California Edison in January, 2018. I have been trying to get Sunpower to honor their solar production guarantee since then and cover part of the SCE billing. I have written to customer service more than 15 times. The issue is still not resolved five months later.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Initial installation of the system was challenging because so many different people and groups were involved. The most recent issue appears to be an inverter issue. The system lost connection on March 19th and the schedulers are suggesting June 13th as the first opportunity for a technician to come check the issue.

Original review: April 2, 2018

This company misrepresented their finances and haven't followed through their services like they had said. I had asked several times for a paper copy of my contract, but they redirect the phone and I never get called back. They've changed their customer service number several time. I am not saving any money on my electrical bill, but on the contrary, I have been overpaying more than what I began with. I am very disappointed with this company, I consider this a total fraud.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have a solar system by SunPower and the inverter is not communicating with my internet account. I have been trying for 2 months to get them to send a service person to fix my inverter. The calls all go to India or Philippines and they tell you each time that you will get a call within 7-10 business days. I am on my 4th try to get a call over 2 months. Supervisors don't help either. These people suck and do not go with this company for solar... You will REGRET it. Screw SunPower -- they do not deserve to be in business.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I'm making monthly lease payments on a solar system that doesn't work. My ~6kW system has been generating 0 power for months due to a bad inverter. My system was spec'd to eliminate my PG&E bill. In reality, after one full yearly billing cycle with the SunPower system, my bill reduced from $2800 to $2600. I'm currently trying to see how I can start their arbitration process to address my legal concerns. I'm hoping they've breached the lease contract so I can get out of the contract and have the system removed.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have had an inverter issue for over 6 months. In that time there have been three site visits, each by a different person. Finally 3 weeks ago they got to install a new inverter and it was dead on arrival. Since then there has been no contact. Customer service is a disaster, and if you then calling other numbers they all seem to be disconnected.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Before you select this company for your solar needs think twice. They have, without a doubt, the worst customer service I have ever encountered. This past week I called their 800 number 5 different times, was put on hold each time in excess of 20 minutes. I finally got to speak to a human and was told to leave my phone number and I would be contacted within 30 minutes... it's now 3 days later. Be careful.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

It's been two months and SunPower has not contacted me to turn on my solar panels. Every time we call there is always a one hour wait. We complained multiple times but the only response is that they emailed the department and someone would get a hold of me within a week. Two months later and nothing. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Although I have told their customer service people (who are located in Manila) that I would be posting their deplorable customer service, they don't seem to care. I have been calling about our failed inverter since mid-December. They repeatedly promise to have a tech person call within 48 hours. I wait 72 then call them back. They tell me the same lies. There is no other number to call than the one shown on their web page. A couple years ago, a call resulted in a conversation with a real engineering person. Not now. Do not buy their products if you have any hope for future customer service. And you will need service in the future.

Updated on 03/14/2018: They must have the worst customer service program in the world. You call some foreign country and speak to someone whose third language is English. They try hard but they have limited information and can provide nothing meaningful regarding the potential for a service call. I started calling in December, someone finally called me back in February and the first service person came to the house on February 12. They arrived late and ran out of time or talent, I am not sure which but the issues were not resolved. A crew of very nice guys came back on March 12. They did some things then said they were not able to complete the work but would have their scheduler call about their return. Naturally there has been no follow-up from Sun Power. I left a message with the former scheduler and called their 800 number again. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I really liked my original installer (Baker Electric) but unfortunately they no longer are allowed to service my system so I am left to deal directly with SunPower. My system lost data connection in early December which should be a simple fix but not when dealing with SunPower. I have been told I will receive a follow-up call to schedule someone to come look at the issue but am still waiting. Based upon some of the reviews below I am not optimistic this will be resolved anytime soon.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Sunpower sat at my kitchen table & told us that with Sunpower lease we would pay only $262 a month for 20 years & that we would get monthly checks from PG&E power for the excess power that our system generated. Sunpower told us that PG&E had to buy from us. Sunpower are liars & thieves who use the terms of their lease contract along with threats of legal action over our heads instead of a gun.

After the first year we got a bill for $1000 for NEM [net energy metering] we called sunpower thinking it was a mistake. They explained to us all about NEM charges & it was no mistake, this is the first time we had been told about NEM charges. I complained but they hem & hawed saying it was a new employees fault and not theirs, then they use the terms of the lease as a threat for litigation if we try to break the lease along with turning my power off. Will any law firm help all of us get justice perhaps a class action lawsuit? They need an attitude adjustment which getting big $ out of their greedy hands works wonders on any attitude. I’m sure there must be lots of folks who feel the same way. I’m a speech impaired quadriplegic who ended up in a wheelchair from my surgeons mistakes. I’m tired of getting screwed over.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We leased SunPower panels through Dave ** after getting several quotes. Prices were very similar, but other companies tried to get us to only purchase 50% coverage. We wanted more and Dave worked with us to accommodate our needs. Everything was on schedule and Dave was always very responsive. The installers were very polite and cleaned up after themselves.

The guy from SunPower that set up the system was incredibly polite, thoroughly explained everything and made sure all my questions were answered. To top it all off our system is producing more than promised and we are saving a ton of money!! I don't usually write reviews, but I have had such a good experience that I think a job well done should be rewarded!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Absolute nightmare of a company to deal with, once they get your money, goodbye anyone who is local, goodbye any timely responses/fixes, goodbye that good feeling you made the right purchase. Purchased a 15-panel system for our new home, it's been almost 3 months and the system is still not working. We have an appointment on Sept 21st, to look at the monitoring part, but if there is a legitimate issue we'll need to wait even longer to have the capable technician fix the issue. People all around us have had issues with them and their shotty contract installers, neighbor only has 10 of 15 panels working. The system is "on" but not producing any significant power to offset anything, shocking since 15 panels was suppose to supplant 80% of our power bill...

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I went through Semper Solaris to get SunPower. If you look at the product and warranty you will be impressed however when you call Sunpower for assistance, they have the absolute worse customer service folks. My monitoring system has had an issue and now I am finding out that all my data is incorrect, there needs to be a change but now I will be in the dark for the rest of the year trying to figure out if I owe or not. Tried talking to them on the phone 4 different times and all 4 people were rude. All I wanted to know was if they could fix the issue and if the reporting would be updated with the right numbers. I love the company that installed my system but so disappointed with their service. I haven't rate anyone horrible but there is a first time and this is it!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have called 5 times to schedule a service call. Each time same drill. The technician isn't at his desk but will call me back. Never a call back. It doesn't matter how angry I get or insistent. They don't care about service - only sales. Avoid SunPower at all costs.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I spent 41 thousand dollars on their product and install, the installer was a jerk. I spent another 10 grand fixing his installation problems, still I have 10 panels not working. They have replaced 6 before the 10 failed, they have since cut off the map of the panels on my roof so I have no way of knowing what ones are not working. I have a total of 51 panels. I do not recommend SunPower products or their installer Aram Solar in Calif. No matter where you are, stay as far away as you can from both. My panels are 3 yrs old. For two years I've had panel problems. Now Sun Power acts like they don't know who I am.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Purchased panels 3+ years ago and have had issues with their customer service since day one, way too many to list all here. Basically panels are not producing what is promised, told by technician we need 3-4 more that were installed and inverter also needs replacement. This means I have been paying more to SCE than necessary for the last 3 years. Of course my monthly report from SunPower says panels are producing as promised. Customer service is nil at best, and have been given at least 7 open ticket numbers for repairs, still waiting. Very frustrating, just told again they will meet regarding my concerns and should hear something next week... Seriously?

Original review: July 10, 2017

I would beware of this company! My wife and I chose SunPower after carefully reviewing all the solar panel company options. We chose SunPower because their panels were rated as technologically superior. While the initial installation was problem free, we have had nothing but problems every since and deeply regret that we locked ourselves into a 20 year contract with SunPower.

To begin with, the system stops working every few months or so, so that we have never had continuous service. But then, the nightmare begins each time we call customer service to have technicians come out and fix the problem. We generally need to call several times before we actually reach someone. Once we report the problem we generally do not hear back from anyone else and SunPower goes "missing in action" until we make several follow up calls and insist. Even at that, when technicians do call back, they expect us to be home during working hours to go to the side of our house and trouble-shoot around in the control box. Since we are not technicians (nor electricians or engineers) we can never resolve the problem on our own. Eventually, a technician shows up to fix the problem, but only after weeks of frustration and many phone calls to the company, some of them acrimonious, during which time we have no service.

On two separate occasions we have had to contact the manager Mabel **, as the only way to move beyond the lethargy, inertia, and incompetence of the company's customer service personnel and technicians. She has been extremely professional and immediately resolved the problem, first in April 2016 when we went weeks without the system functioning and then again in November 2016. There should be no reason we have to fight with the company in order to reach its manager to resolve the problem. Each time it is a major struggle to reach her. The customer service people insist that they, not the manager, will take care of the matter, but they never do. As I write these lines in July 2017 we have been without service for three weeks.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I loved my SunPower system when it was installed 7-8 years ago. However, the company that installed the system has since gone out of business. SunPower will only cover the product replacement - NOT the service involved in getting it replaced. In this situation, one of the wireless monitors has stopped working, and I am unable to track performance of the inverter - thus have no idea whether the system is even working, or how much energy is being produced. The tech on the phone was unfriendly, stuck to his script, and when I pushed, said "to be clear, the money to service the system will be coming out of your pocket." Not what I wanted to hear.

To be fair, I imagine that if the original installation company were still in business, they might have provided this service free of charge, but I have since spoken to other solar manufacturers who said it is their standard policy to provide this level of support to their clients who are spending thousands of dollars on their products.

Original review: May 17, 2017

SunPower state in their contract that there will not be a lien on my home. But after everything was done there is a lien on my home that they say they cannot remove. So for the next 20 years no bank would give me a loan until the 20 year lease is up. I am about to take legal action. Anyone who have the same problem can contact me.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Installation and setup is superb, very neat and quick. Service and setup is incredibly easy I would recommend the most amazing service. The financing option is very flexible I couldn't be any happier at the incredible financial options available to help me at the most of the best option. Their customer service is top notch, prompt at assisting and provide very useful helpful service. Always very polite at answering question and also very incredible at providing the best customer services that they can to help me with what I need. Very very amazing value at the most affordable pricing available to allow me to highly recommend. Couldn't have ask for a better value at an affordable price.

Original review: April 11, 2017

This was a big purchase for us so we had saved for a while and did not need to finance. We just bought straight cash because we don't like payments. It was expensive but so far we enjoy it and for the money it is a good value because we use it often so can't complain about that. SunPower’s customer service was also very good. They explained everything including how to work my solar generator and troubleshooting in case of an event in which it stopped working. When it was delivered the technician showed us exactly how everything worked including the manual so we knew how to do everything which is important because sometimes we use it where we have no cell service.

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

SunPower is one of the world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers, and it’s also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated, and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, SunPower is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: SunPower’s solar cells and modules hold efficiency records for commercial solar technology – meaning they can produce the same amount of power as competitors in a smaller area. Its solar cells and solar modules are also known to be of very high quality. SunPower was the first company to offer homeowners a 25 year guaranteed level of performance on their solar panels or money back for the difference.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners, cash and loan consumers and DIY solar users.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
    Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information