3.95/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

SunPower Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Being an electrician, I know how solar works, and I went for it to save money. SunPower was the first one to call when we started deciding on a company, and they came out and explained everything. We had to go through some paperwork to get our rebates, and then they took care of everything. They did everything they said they were gonna do. And after hearing other people not using SunPower, I’m glad we went with them. They’re a good company and their equipment is better. And their installation is clean. My son went with PosiGen, and they had to come back three or fours times to clean things up. They left screws in the driveway. The guys that installed mine were in and out in two days, and nothing was left to chance. Everything was marked correctly.

However, setting it up took almost six months, but it’s more of the town holding it up. You have to apply for all kinds of permits, then they have to come in and check your structures. North Haven was just slow issuing permits and held it up almost three months. Wallingford might be easier because they have their own electric division. Another issue in North Haven is they don’t have a full-time electrical inspector, so they contract it out and things have to get on a different schedule to get inspected. But SunPower did everything they had to - all the plans and print. Now, our highest bill with SunPower has been $12, and that’s just to use the UI's power lines. It’s not even using their power, but their delivery charges are crazy. We also have a side company that if we don’t have enough with SunPower, we have close to a thousand hours in bank with the UI.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible. Dealing with the customer service was also painless. I’ve had a little bit of problem with the monitor, which is fixed now. I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

The year before I got it, my average electric bill was $132. And two months of that was almost $300, but it was really hot for a long time. I lease the system so I knew what my normal cost was. I knew it was gonna go up. And SunPower quoted 107 or something, leased. So, I’m putting no money in it. Before they installed it I replaced the felt for my roof under the area that they were going to be installing. Because all these houses are 30 years old and really should have it all replaced. And Kirsten, the agent, was extremely knowledgeable, straightforward, no BS, just clear, which I like. So, everything together made it look like an okay deal. Good enough that I picked with them over all the other people I’ve talked to.

I like having solar. The monitor works fine now. I check it every few days. I used to check it almost every day just to see. My electricity bill now is typically $10 a month, plus the $107 fee, but I expect it to stay that way. If I ever have to replace my air conditioner, I’ll put one in that’s more efficient, which will basically get rid of any cost increase from the electric company.

I’ve referred SunPower six people on my street. I know practically everybody here in my local area because I’m a general contractor for most of the houses, and several of them have talked to SunPower. One or two are not getting it because it didn’t make economic sense. The one at the end of the street is from Wisconsin and they’re gone, not the whole summer, but maybe five or six months of the hot part of the year. So, it doesn’t make sense because it’s mainly the air conditioning. One person has installed it, and my next-door neighbor is probably going to.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My family had 21 solar panels installed on our roof and two Tesla PowerWall batteries installed in our garage just in time to be ready for the PG&E electrical grid shutdown of late October 2019. We are very happy with the investment. Because we decided to purchase rather than lease the system, and because it is a long term capital improvement to our home, it was important to us to consolidate the equipment purchase, the installation, future service, and warranty protection into one transaction with one entity that was likely to be around for years to come. We heard too many stories of people who bought panels from companies that are now out of business, and had their panels installed by subcontractors who cannot be found, and now the customers are holding worthless warranties.

SunPower by Hooked on Solar best met all of these concerns. Our contact at the company was Nicole, who is knowledgeable and professional and did not just “sell” us the system but has remained in touch and responsive to our every question to this day. It is a long process (largely because of demand and local permit requirements), and everyone from the company — planners, panel installers, battery installers, etc. — has been punctual, courteous, and highly competent. We could not be more pleased with our decision to use SunPower by Hooked on Solar.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I went online and researched solar companies acting like local distributors. SunPower came up and I researched the company and liked what I saw. They came to my house and they did a demonstration. I had another company come to my house but their demonstration was less than pathetic. So, I had SunPower came over first and I kinda used them as my baseline to weight all the other companies. I was most pleased with their demonstration and their product quality compared to anybody else, so I signed up. I kinda had to do a little more legwork as far as keeping in contact with the project progress but as far as signing paperwork and getting all the financing and everything else completed, that was fairly easy.

When they signed me up, they said that they were gonna be getting me some cash back for signing up and some other incentives. But it seemed like once it was installed, they dragged their feet a little bit on making it right with those incentives. It didn't leave a bad taste on my mouth because I know how business is and things picked up and people get busy or they're sick but it seemed kind of strange that once they had gotten their part, they dragged their feet on getting me my part. I just kept everything to a minimum as far as making contacts with them for any reason, because I haven't had any real issues yet.

I'm fairly satisfied with going solar, so far. I thought the period of production throughout the day would be for a longer period of time like from literally, sun up to sun down, but it seems to be pretty stationery between 7:00 and 5:00 during the day. So I was hoping that it would produce a little longer during the day. I got my first bill from the power company and it was $4. We've had some gloomy days and some really sunny days so it hasn't been consistent enough to tell us whether or not it's gonna be enough for the summertime usage. I don't have a huge power bill as of right now, but again the energy usage isn't as high as it will be in the coming months. As of right now, I got the best thing that's out there being offered.

SunPower response

Thanks for your feedback Adam! That's great that you had such a low electric bill, and yes, as the hours of sunlight increase, so will your solar production. Please reach out if you need further assistance on anything else.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I was thinking about getting solar energy services and a salesman from SunPower knocked on the front door. He was a really nice guy and I ended up signing up with them. But he told me a lot of misinformation and lied to me about my electric bill. It was kind of irritating as he said that I was not gonna pay any electric bill but on my first month, I had a $200 electric bill and a $220 solar panel bill.

$200 is what my electric bill average is in the summertime running the AC all day and I even added six more panels to make sure that I was more than covering my average monthly electric bill. So it was kind of a slap in the face when the salesman I'm covering 120% of my electric bill, but in the end I still had to pay $200 to Valley Electric for the last two months. If he told me that I was still gonna have an electric bill, I could’ve gone to the front side of the house and added panels there, too. I also called Valley Electric and they bluntly said that there’s no way I can put enough solar panels on my house to never have an electric bill. I’ve been fighting with the people who installed the panels, too.

So it was a very bad experience. But I don’t necessarily think that it was SunPower that caused the problem. The issue was with their salesman and installers. In fact, enrolling with SunPower was fairly easy and I have no problem with the company itself. But they should talk to their salesman and tell him to stop giving misinformation.

SunPower response

Hello Jonathan, We're sorry to hear you've had some difficulties since going solar. I see you have a case number with us, and I'll share this feedback with our team to see if they can assist you better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

It was a while ago that I was looking into solar energy systems and the other companies were saying that I had too many trees, and they weren't gonna be able to do anything with what my situation was. And so, I went with SunPower because they said that they could find a spot there and the quality of the panels made the difference. Enrolling with them was very good. The process was easy, and everybody was very helpful and professional. Since then, my bill has been lower and so far, I'm satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I like how SunPower controls from manufacturing all the way down. They have great communication from initial contact. There was a little lag until when they could get a crew to my location but once that was scheduled, it all went really smoothly. Their guys cleaned up and did everything nicely. I'm loving going solar through them thus far. My bill immediately went down and their system is generating exactly what I was hoping it would.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

My unit started acting up last September. The inverter keeps on turning off and I called SunPower. They informed me what to do to get it back working and they said it was a temporary fix, they will send a technician to actually check what is the problem. It goes on informing me that someone will call to give me an appointment. I have to wait 2 weeks and called them back informing them that nobody called. These went on for 3 weeks after I got a call sometime in September that it's going to be Nov.25.

I was upset but what else can I do? I waited for the date with the time supposed to be 2 pm, nobody came. I have to run to the bank for 30 minutes and I sent an e- mail to the company that If he comes before I got back to update me about my unit. My daughter was home so I told her to just call me if the technician shows up. So far nobody came. So now I'm at lost on what is going on. The service sucks. That's all I can say. I hope this will not be remove because I want their service to improve.

SunPower response

Hi Elizabeth, I'm sorry to hear the issue is ongoing. According to my records, our field technician did show up and was able to troubleshoot the system. The inspection report is currently under review and I will have one of my Executive Support Specialist contact you to discuss next steps to ensure the system's performance is restored to 100%. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

The installation was quick and done well, but I don't think the people who installed it were knowledgeable about setting up the internet. They were not qualified to do that without calling somebody and finding out why what they were doing wasn't working. Some of the questions I had were answered and some of them weren't and they referred me to other places, but I'm satisfied with the people who summed it out.

Also, SunPower broke my electric bill way down. I was going on a monthly basis with the electric company where they would calculate how much for the year I spent and they would break it down into 12 equal payments. Even though I leased the panels with SunPower, my bill is still cheaper than what I was paying. I'm saving $50 a month and I feel like I can do a lot more stuff because I have a lot more money in my pocket. I'm 100% satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

We looked at solar energy systems because of the cost of electric and we spoke to a few companies. We found SunPower online and Keith, our salesperson, gave us a lot of good information and was very upfront. Everything went smooth when we enrolled and working with them was fairly easy. Now, there's a big difference in our electric bills and we're also not getting any big bills all of a sudden. SunPower has been consistent and we're satisfied in our decision to go solar.

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

The world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers is also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, this company is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: The company offers SunPower Equinox for homes, SunPower Helix for commercial customers and SunPower Oasis for solar plants. The SunPower solar panel line includes the X-Series with 22.7 percent efficiency, E-Series with 20 percent efficiency and P-Series with 17 percent efficiency. The panels are available in 320–470 watts.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house. SunPower also manufactures flexible solar panels that can be used outdoors, on vehicles or to power small devices in case of power outage or emergency.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information