2. Solar Energy
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5
Visit Website

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

SunPower Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Being an electrician, I know how solar works, and I went for it to save money. SunPower was the first one to call when we started deciding on a company, and they came out and explained everything. We had to go through some paperwork to get our rebates, and then they took care of everything. They did everything they said they were gonna do. And after hearing other people not using SunPower, I’m glad we went with them. They’re a good company and their equipment is better. And their installation is clean. My son went with PosiGen, and they had to come back three or fours times to clean things up. They left screws in the driveway. The guys that installed mine were in and out in two days, and nothing was left to chance. Everything was marked correctly.

However, setting it up took almost six months, but it’s more of the town holding it up. You have to apply for all kinds of permits, then they have to come in and check your structures. North Haven was just slow issuing permits and held it up almost three months. Wallingford might be easier because they have their own electric division. Another issue in North Haven is they don’t have a full-time electrical inspector, so they contract it out and things have to get on a different schedule to get inspected. But SunPower did everything they had to - all the plans and print. Now, our highest bill with SunPower has been $12, and that’s just to use the UI's power lines. It’s not even using their power, but their delivery charges are crazy. We also have a side company that if we don’t have enough with SunPower, we have close to a thousand hours in bank with the UI.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible. Dealing with the customer service was also painless. I’ve had a little bit of problem with the monitor, which is fixed now. I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

The year before I got it, my average electric bill was $132. And two months of that was almost $300, but it was really hot for a long time. I lease the system so I knew what my normal cost was. I knew it was gonna go up. And SunPower quoted 107 or something, leased. So, I’m putting no money in it. Before they installed it I replaced the felt for my roof under the area that they were going to be installing. Because all these houses are 30 years old and really should have it all replaced. And Kirsten, the agent, was extremely knowledgeable, straightforward, no BS, just clear, which I like. So, everything together made it look like an okay deal. Good enough that I picked with them over all the other people I’ve talked to.

I like having solar. The monitor works fine now. I check it every few days. I used to check it almost every day just to see. My electricity bill now is typically $10 a month, plus the $107 fee, but I expect it to stay that way. If I ever have to replace my air conditioner, I’ll put one in that’s more efficient, which will basically get rid of any cost increase from the electric company.

I’ve referred SunPower six people on my street. I know practically everybody here in my local area because I’m a general contractor for most of the houses, and several of them have talked to SunPower. One or two are not getting it because it didn’t make economic sense. The one at the end of the street is from Wisconsin and they’re gone, not the whole summer, but maybe five or six months of the hot part of the year. So, it doesn’t make sense because it’s mainly the air conditioning. One person has installed it, and my next-door neighbor is probably going to.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My family had 21 solar panels installed on our roof and two Tesla PowerWall batteries installed in our garage just in time to be ready for the PG&E electrical grid shutdown of late October 2019. We are very happy with the investment. Because we decided to purchase rather than lease the system, and because it is a long term capital improvement to our home, it was important to us to consolidate the equipment purchase, the installation, future service, and warranty protection into one transaction with one entity that was likely to be around for years to come. We heard too many stories of people who bought panels from companies that are now out of business, and had their panels installed by subcontractors who cannot be found, and now the customers are holding worthless warranties.

SunPower by Hooked on Solar best met all of these concerns. Our contact at the company was Nicole, who is knowledgeable and professional and did not just “sell” us the system but has remained in touch and responsive to our every question to this day. It is a long process (largely because of demand and local permit requirements), and everyone from the company — planners, panel installers, battery installers, etc. — has been punctual, courteous, and highly competent. We could not be more pleased with our decision to use SunPower by Hooked on Solar.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I went online and researched solar companies acting like local distributors. SunPower came up and I researched the company and liked what I saw. They came to my house and they did a demonstration. I had another company come to my house but their demonstration was less than pathetic. So, I had SunPower came over first and I kinda used them as my baseline to weight all the other companies. I was most pleased with their demonstration and their product quality compared to anybody else, so I signed up. I kinda had to do a little more legwork as far as keeping in contact with the project progress but as far as signing paperwork and getting all the financing and everything else completed, that was fairly easy.

When they signed me up, they said that they were gonna be getting me some cash back for signing up and some other incentives. But it seemed like once it was installed, they dragged their feet a little bit on making it right with those incentives. It didn't leave a bad taste on my mouth because I know how business is and things picked up and people get busy or they're sick but it seemed kind of strange that once they had gotten their part, they dragged their feet on getting me my part. I just kept everything to a minimum as far as making contacts with them for any reason, because I haven't had any real issues yet.

I'm fairly satisfied with going solar, so far. I thought the period of production throughout the day would be for a longer period of time like from literally, sun up to sun down, but it seems to be pretty stationery between 7:00 and 5:00 during the day. So I was hoping that it would produce a little longer during the day. I got my first bill from the power company and it was $4. We've had some gloomy days and some really sunny days so it hasn't been consistent enough to tell us whether or not it's gonna be enough for the summertime usage. I don't have a huge power bill as of right now, but again the energy usage isn't as high as it will be in the coming months. As of right now, I got the best thing that's out there being offered.

SunPower response

Thanks for your feedback Adam! That's great that you had such a low electric bill, and yes, as the hours of sunlight increase, so will your solar production. Please reach out if you need further assistance on anything else.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I was thinking about getting solar energy services and a salesman from SunPower knocked on the front door. He was a really nice guy and I ended up signing up with them. But he told me a lot of misinformation and lied to me about my electric bill. It was kind of irritating as he said that I was not gonna pay any electric bill but on my first month, I had a $200 electric bill and a $220 solar panel bill.

$200 is what my electric bill average is in the summertime running the AC all day and I even added six more panels to make sure that I was more than covering my average monthly electric bill. So it was kind of a slap in the face when the salesman I'm covering 120% of my electric bill, but in the end I still had to pay $200 to Valley Electric for the last two months. If he told me that I was still gonna have an electric bill, I could’ve gone to the front side of the house and added panels there, too. I also called Valley Electric and they bluntly said that there’s no way I can put enough solar panels on my house to never have an electric bill. I’ve been fighting with the people who installed the panels, too.

So it was a very bad experience. But I don’t necessarily think that it was SunPower that caused the problem. The issue was with their salesman and installers. In fact, enrolling with SunPower was fairly easy and I have no problem with the company itself. But they should talk to their salesman and tell him to stop giving misinformation.

SunPower response

Hello Jonathan, We're sorry to hear you've had some difficulties since going solar. I see you have a case number with us, and I'll share this feedback with our team to see if they can assist you better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I want to let others know that yes solar is great; it used to save me money also that is until last July 12th when the system stopped working. It is now Jan 20th so that is 6+months of no service, no savings and yes I am still paying SunPower $120/month. Been trying to get this resolved since August when they told me it was working and September Ditto. One of their contractors came the other day and we found out not installed properly so to avoid possible fire system shut itself off. At least my house won't burn down. So now we wait some more. How much money has this cost me is lost productivity - well summer in NY is hot so the AC was running for months w/o the benefit of solar power plus the 120 * 6 =720 in payment so not good. Their customer service is horrible but their sales people will of course sell you this service w/o mentioning that.

SunPower response

Hello Mr. Downey, we apologize for the experience you had with us. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have had the system operating for approx 15 months now. The monitoring system began malfunctioning on Dec 5 2019. After nasty messages from Sunpower telling me to "fix my internet" they finally sent out a technician from Streamline Solar, the folks who originally installed the equipment. Streamline Solar, by the way, did a fantastic job installing the system and also reacting to the service call. I would rate Streamline 10 stars.

A week ago we had a power outage and I was unable to restore the monitoring system. It has been inoperative since then. I read my electric meter daily to make sure my system is operating. In addition, during the past 12 months, I have come up short $348.67 (the difference between what my lease payments are and what I have had to pay the electric company). Since installing the system, I have replaced some of my LED lighting with more efficient LED bulbs and strips, have set our thermostat one degree warmer during the summer months and two degrees cooler during the winter months (we heat with an A/C-Heat Pump) still we came up short for the year. At this time I wish I would have stayed with the power company and not gone solar.

SunPower response

Hello Mr. Oehrli, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

They have very good sales persons. After you sign the contract you will find out how bad this company is. I have been with them over 2 years now and the system is not working properly. They failed several times to fix the problems and Project manager never answers the calls. I will not be able to get the city tax refund this year because they haven't sign off the project with the city yet and I have to pay the interest until at least next year. I made a big mistake by not reading the reviews before signing with this company.

SunPower response

Hello Amal Hassan, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

After all the great talk by Sunpower representative, we decided to buy the system 3 years ago. The things went downhill pretty fast after the installation. In last 3 years, the monitoring system went down 4 different times. Since I was not monitoring the system every day, it took me some time to realize that the monitoring system was not reporting back the solar production. Every time it took them a couple of months to send someone and fix it. Finally the 4th time, their technician who came to inspect it told me that the monitoring system was faulty and they needed to replace it. That means another couple of months of wait.

The monitoring system is the least of the problems. Within 3 years after the installation, the inverters are not working properly. The energy production went down significantly in 3rd year. That means, I paid for the solar system and now I am also paying electricity bill. Sunpower technician told me that the inverters are not working properly for months. This is something Sunpower should have monitored on their own and fix it a long time ago. They had promised me a certain energy production every year and I am not getting that because they sold me a faulty system.

Now they tell me that they ordered the parts to fix my system and that I would have to wait another four weeks before they could schedule an appointment. At this point I feel like I am getting the run around. Sunpower gave me guarantee of certain solar production and they don’t care what the system does after they sold it to you. If I have to buy solar all over again, I would never select Sunpower.

SunPower response

Hello Sandeep Shetye, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

With a lot of pushing I got our faulty microinverters replaced but they are still not working a year later so we have $30,000 investment siting on the roof that makes almost no power. Now the company is split and I am not hearing back. We are 4 years in and are losing so much money on this investment. It is incredibly disheartening to be ignored when we bought SunPower at a higher price because they were supposed to be the best. Will update if I’m taken care of ever.

SunPower response

Hello Mrs. Giampaoli, I'm sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. I'd like to look into this a little further. Please be expecting a call from an executive service specialist to discuss your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and value your feedback. Thank you,

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

The world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers is also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, this company is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: The company offers SunPower Equinox for homes, SunPower Helix for commercial customers and SunPower Oasis for solar plants. The SunPower solar panel line includes the X-Series with 22.7 percent efficiency, E-Series with 20 percent efficiency and P-Series with 17 percent efficiency. The panels are available in 320–470 watts.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house. SunPower also manufactures flexible solar panels that can be used outdoors, on vehicles or to power small devices in case of power outage or emergency.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

by Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information