3.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

365 SunPower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We leased a 9.5 MW system about two years ago and it worked great, no issues. Our house burnt down, but the panels were on the back shop, which survived. In dealing with our insurance we needed to know what to do with the panels. 9 calls to SunPower, 2 emails and 1 month later, still no response. I have been "upgraded" to immediate response, but that doesn't matter. I still have no idea what I need to do, which I don't care what happens, I just need to know so I can plan accordingly. I had to cut them off at the bank in order to gain their attention, but still, nothing. Bottom line, great product, the panels are top notch. Customer service is the worst of any company I have ever dealt with, and I investigate consumer fraud. I was going to use them on the new house, but the customer service is not worth it.

SunPower response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Jason. Please expect a call from an escalation specialist to address your concerns.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

SunPower 7KW, 24 panels installed 2012. They have produced flawlessly 30-40 kw per day until August of 2018. I've been dealing with customer service for weeks now who tells me there isn't a problem, but it's only producing on average 8 kw per day, even on clear sunny days. The installer, Solar Generation, isn't willing to help since it's a leased system. Customer service tells me not to worry, there's a production guaranteed. What the rep doesn't understand or care to understand is that the guarantee is at $.04 per kw, and in NY, Central Hudson charges $.089, well over double. Come on SunPower and Solar Generation, I committed to your service and product, how about supporting a valued customer.

SunPower response

Hello Vincent, I'm sorry to hear this! We appreciate your business immensely and are glad to hear you were happy with your system for six years! I will reach out to our customer service supervisor to see if we can help you resolve this.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Terrible service. We have had over 30% of our power down for 6 months. They have been difficult to get support and they have sent out 3 different teams, a full day for each visit, and it is still not working. It is costing us thousands as we are now double paying them and the power company and all they have done is offer a $100 gift card. Now they say new equipment is being delivered while the last team told us new equipment was installed.

SunPower response

Hello Craig, we're sorry for the problems you've encountered. Please expect a call from an escalation specalist to address your concern.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

We had SunPower solar panels installed 3 years ago as based on our past energy usage, it would be a cost saving measure for our family. Now after 36 months, our system has only met our power needs for 11/36 months resulting in our electric company charging us for the shortfall. Our representative had told us that there was a performance guarantee so I called customer service on 12/10 and spoke to a representative who after hearing all if the info said I'd be getting a refund for the extra charges I've paid. No refund has arrived so I called and spoke to a supervisor, Kim **, who informed me that no refund would be issued and they'd investigate the productivity of my system.

My performance guarantee range was only met 1/3 years and it was only 37 kWz over the minimum number. The other 2 years our system underperformed and we had to pay extra month after month. Mr. **informed me I would "never" be getting a refund. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he said he was the top person and he had no supervisor. I'm confident I was not speaking to the CEO so now I'm left to research and try to find someone who will help me. This is not the level of customer service I deserve, I was spoken down to by the supervisor and not treated as I feel I should have been. Plus, the representative was working off a script and didn't always understand what I was saying. I wish I had never gotten the panels.

SunPower response

Jenn, We are very sorry to hear this, and we'd like to help make it right. I will have a supervisor get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

A salesperson from SunPower talked to me and showed me how the system would make money according to the calculations, but I wasn’t super concerned about the economics. I bought the panels for environmental reasons. We had to coordinate the timing of the installation with the building of the house and it went well. However, the inverter stopped working and it took us a little bit of time to get it replaced. There was one hiccup that we had to fight with. They said they were gonna replace it, but then nothing happened. They had forgotten about it a little bit and there had to be a reminder. We followed up and then they replaced the inverter.

I've seen the bill and I checked the production to see that nothing crazy was happening, and the bill was still consistent. It looks like it hasn’t really fallen off. The degradation of SunPower’s panels aren’t great and that has proven out with the production. But although I haven't calculated the money savings versus the cost, the system has definitely produced what I was hoping for and I’ve been happy with it. I've had their app for a while and I really like the tools they have to report. It's impressive. And the monthly reports they send are fit too. I've been very satisfied with going solar. It has been really great. We’ve had SunPower for five years and we get good service. I’ve told many people that SunPower is great.

SunPower response

Thank you, William, for helping to change how our world is powered. Sorry to hear you had a technical issue but glad we got everything working well for you now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I got the SunPower solar panels installed at my home in December 2017 and within 6 months, the fuses of the inverters were blown off. I was told that the system would be monitored continuously but there was no monitoring at all. There is no record of energy being produced from July, 2018 till the end of November, 2018. I received high PGE bills during that period. But whenever I call the customer care, they take no responsibility. They said that they would be rebuilding data of energy being produced during that period but no data was built.

Now they do not even respond to the call properly. They are taking no responsibility and could not even rebuild any data in the honor of warranty. They are insisting that their solar panels were producing energy when they have no records to prove that. I am having proofs for the panels not working. I had to pay $1000 for those 4 months even when I am having the solar panel installed at my home. I am very dissatisfied by this kind of chaos. I am fed up discussing this issue with the company's customer care employees and in response getting complaint tickets closed in repetition without any solution.

SunPower response

Mr. Singh, We're sorry to hear you've experienced this issue with your system. I will have a customer service supervisor get in touch with you to help get this resolved.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Arizona solar concepts did the install and was very unprofessional left my yard a complete disaster did not follow the approved layout plan and overcharged and re-wrote a contract. July a breaker went out because it was overloaded and Took four weeks for someone to repair. Nobody will return my calls or my emails to who is going to credit me this amount !!!

SunPower response

Barbara, I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your installer. I will have a customer service supervisor take a look at this for you and help you get this resolved.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I live in an area where electricity’s expensive. When I was talking to a sales rep who I met at a party, he said that they have some ideas and they might be able to help me out. At that particular time, he didn’t have SunPower as one of his product lines. I asked him to look into using them because I heard really good things about this brand.

The enrollment was fairly easy. I leased the system and SunPower was pretty easy to work with. I did the pre-buy as it seemed more attractive because of the substantial discount to do it. So far, the system has been running fairly stable. We had a couple of issues with the device that monitors the inverter, but their customer service team seemed to understand what was going on then got it fixed. Going solar was awesome. SunPower is a very high performance panel and I've had really good luck with it. I wish I would have put double the amount on it. I always recommend this brand to my friends and highly recommend to anybody to get SunPower.

SunPower response

Thank you, Shannon! We always love hearing about customers who do their research and request SunPower. Cheers to saving money while helping the planet.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Solar installed 10/30/18. PTO 11/18/18. Monitoring system not functioning from start. Installers come out twice to check it out. It seems like they have to go through a long process before they can swap out faulty equipment like the monitoring box. Currently waiting on Tech Support and a "Product Engineer" to determine next step. Super slow/no response from Tech support though local installers are trying to help out, but can't get anywhere without go ahead from Tech support. If this is how they treat new customers with end of year deadline for tax rebate (can't finish paperwork until system 100% functional), I sure hope I don't have future need to go through Tech Support again. Everyone else is responsive and professional. Tech support just dragging their feet with no action. Please work on faster response times!! Writing this review to expedite issue. Thank you.

SunPower response

Hello Kevin, we're sorry to hear you're having a difficult time getting the system up and running. I have escalated your case to a escalation specialist for a resolution. Please expect them to contact you.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I went solar back in 2016 and I went with SunPower co. The main reason I choose them was because of the local dealer Renewable Energy co. I'm very disappointed. I have yet to have a full year of my solar panels working. There is no more local dealer in Las Vegas. The service time for any problem is a minimum of 30 days. I never had a pigeon problem and after my panels were installed pigeons love to nest under the panels. I called SunPower to get some help with the problem. They told me pretty much it's my problem. They do not cover pest control. After I hear from other people that other solar companies have taken care of that problem for their customers.

Hello Humberto,

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. I have escalated this to a member of our escalation team. Please expect a call from an escalation specalist to address your issue.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I decided to go solar because I want to go green and solar power is the way to go. I have seen other solar companies go bankrupt after a few years in the business and I would hate to have to call China few years from now to address concerns that I have with my warranty on the panels. I like SunPower because I want to support American products and I know that I have gotten the best technology for solar panels on my roof as of today. I would recommend Sunpower because it is the best deal, especially with the 30% Federal Tax Credit for this year and next year. Call Sunpower and decide for yourself.

SunPower response

Thank you Hahn! You make a great point about our best-in-industry 25-year Power & Product warranty. We cover all parts of your SunPower solar system vs. other companies who may outsource warranties to different makers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Damaged to trim on our house, sagging panels, added “support” in attic only adds weight to the roof (it’s not attached either end to anything, how can it be adding support?), employee trying to hide that they displaced a pocket light in our ceiling, damaged ductwork in attic, and failed to replace insulation, and still picking up pieces and nuts and bolts off my driveway and out of my lawn, all to save $25 a month?! 3 stars is really a gift. Merry Christmas!

SunPower response

Hello Nicole, Sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your solar installation. I'll have our customer service team reach out to you to see if you need further assistance.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I decided to go solar for both save money and it is better for the environment thru the process. I meet Miguel which helped a lot explaining and making the better deal, and Alberto who make the things happen. I’m very pleased to work with them.

Thank you Albert!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I resisted solar electricity, for many years mainly due to the minor savings my friends were experiencing. In September 2018, I began researching solar electricity, due to an abnormally high electric bill. After enlightening myself I interviewed 4 representatives of four established and recognized solar providers. After exhaustive research and interviews I selected SunPower, represented by Rene ** from 1st Alliance. Rene is charismatic, through and knowledgeable of his product and others in the industry.

Immediately after making the decision Rene and Jessica ** from SunPower went to work. Permits were submitted and approved, the system was installed, inspections were completed and approved and in less than 6 weeks the system was up and running. I went with 15 of Sun Power’s photovoltaic panels, in December (not known for a good month for solar energy) the system is producing an average of 20 + KWH daily, more than enough to provide all my electrical needs. I strongly recommend 1st Alliance/Sun Power.

SunPower response

Hi Harry, Thank you for your thoughtful review. That's great to hear you're producing so much energy even when there's not a lot of available sunlight. That's what happens when you choose the world's most efficient solar panels. Here's to many more months of solar savings in 2019!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

In 2014 we decided to go solar as this is our retirement home. I contacted three Solar Companies and decided to go with SunPower. They are in CA, panel are made in the US. Solar is one of my retirement investments. Keith ** and Urban Energy were amazing to work with. Extremely professional and informative. We clean our panels quarterly because we live in Long Beach.

SunPower response

Thanks, Nancy! Yes, it's good to keep those panels clean if you don't get regular rainfall.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Sunpower is a great company with up of the line warranty and panels. The installation process was smooth and easy, great company with great people, who care about their customers. I'm saving so much money that I wish I went solar sooner. Thank you SunPower!

SunPower response

Thanks, David! Cheers to many great years of solar savings to come.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Decide to go solar to save money. My experience has been overall good although I got some issue with installation that I hope can be fixed by Sunpower as promised, the equipment so far has been very good and the customer support has been great.

SunPower response

Thank you Franco! I'll reach out to the customer service team to ensure that any issues you need help with are addressed.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Went with Sunpower Direct since they had a discount with my company. Process was pretty smooth and they were able to get things done without too much involvement on my end, which was great! I had a few questions throughout that were answered quickly - I definitely appreciated that.

Thanks, Peter!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We got solar because it made the most sense financial sense. SunPower was the best company we talked to, I appreciate how they are honest and no pressure and provide the best solar panels out there. It was a great experience and they got it done really fast.

Thank you Jeffrey!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I like the SunPower panels a lot, but there has been quality problems with micro-inverters. I could forgive the quality problems, if there was prompt resolution to the issues, but project management and customer support & responsiveness is constantly subpar. For example: initial installation in 2016-2017 was poorly managed from scheduling/project management point of view. I felt that I had to be a project manager for the whole process and the whole process took way too long. 4+ months. Because of SunPower inability to deliver system in time, I missed NEM 1.0 deadline.

Then about 1 year after installation, my system started to have production problems. Even when the problems were quite obvious, it took me multiple weeks to convince SunPower that there was an actual a problem and get acknowledgment from SunPower about the issues. Eventually all micro inverters were replaced, but my case is still open because there has been no resolution to the compensation for lost production capacity (about 1700 kWh). SunPower customer support keeps ignoring my emails for 3+ months in a row now. I would recommend SunPower to my friends (and I actually have already), but going forward it's hard for me to recommend SunPower because of bad customer support & project management.

SunPower response

Rami, Thank you for this sincere feedback. I will share it with our executive leadership team because we're working on improving our customer service experience. We appreciate your business and your referrals, and we'd like to get this situation resolved for you if possible. I'll have a supervisor reach out as soon as they're able to.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We went solar to save money and help save environment. The SunPower team was very professional, explained everything along the way. I would rate the team with 5 stars. The only reason I entered 4 stars above is because we were just activated and I want to see how much we produce and see the results on electric bill before I say this has been a 5 star experience. Thanks.

SunPower response

Hi Barry, Thanks for choosing SunPower! We're confident you'll soon see us as a 5-star experience, but if you ever have any questions or concerns, please reach out so we may assist you!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I purchased a house with SunPower panels and thought this was going to be a home run. It has been the complete opposite. Every month my PSEG bill keeps going up and when I'm clearly producing enough energy to cover me for the month? Is this a SunPower problem or my electric company's problem? Very hard to get an answer from anyone. Not happy.

SunPower response

John, We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. I see you've had a case open with us. I'll share your comments with a supervisor who will get in touch with you to further troubleshoot this.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

You have bad customer service. Report a problem and company says "we have 15 days to respond" then after 15 days they put you on a schedule for 30 days later service call. It sucks. Also no one care when my system communication isn’t communicating for months. I have to discover that the outside system box has a red light on to push reset.

SunPower response

We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I DO NOT CARE how many tons of Carbon dioxide I have deprived the plants from breathing due to my use of solar. I wish you would STOP reminding me each email and on the panel by my inverter. Do you think I do not know that plants, such as I eat, carrots, potatoes, peppers, etc, depend on CO2 to survive? That so called green house gasses are GOOD for the planet because they stave off the next ice age? I would like to know how much MONEY I have saved over the current electric rate per day or month instead.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Ever since I sign up for solar from SunPower Co. I been having nightmare about what I sign up for. First took the co. 6 months before they come and install the panels then another 2-3 months to turn it on. I guess what I had was to call them and do the legwork that the drop the ball on finally turn on. This is in 8/18. Supposedly system should be up and running. It’s 12/18. I’m paying SunPower the bill and also my regular bill to my local provider (ConEd). Made several calls to Sunpower only to get no good result and most of all I ask to speak to a supervisor several times and was told that I will hear from them within 3 days (never heard from them). It’s my 3 request now again in the 2 day didn’t hear from no one. This is very stressful. Not to mention it’s few months now into a 20 yes 20 years contract which I sign up for. It’s a nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We had SunPower panels installed by Roof Diagnostics 5 years ago as a lease. There was a guarantee that the panels would produce a min amount each year which they have not in any of the 5 years we had them. SunPower has reimbursed us the difference of what our panels produced and the minimum amount guaranteed. This last year our communication box stopped working and we went through all of the troubleshooting steps and had to set up an appointment for a tech to come back in March. That tech was dispatched to the wrong state and we have not been able to get one back out here since. Customer service was notified multiple times and just talk in circles. It has been over 6 months and we are still waiting for an appointment.

Fast forward to August, we know according to our lease that we are eligible for an early buyout. Contacted Customer Service again after being told the paperwork would come in the mail in Septemeber it turns out from the 5th rep that we spoke to, when the paperwork did not arrive, we had to send an email inquiry to request it. Received the information a few weeks later after requesting several times via email. Since October we have been trying to get a supervisor on the line to discuss the buyout number. Our buyout on our lease is based on a system that generates a min of 8,600 kw where ours, historically has been averaging 7,1000 kw. That is less than 84% of what it is supposed to generate.

We were told that SunPower the buy out is not negotiable and that SunPower has in the past refunded us the money when our system did not hit the min amount, which is 100% true except for this year because they can't get a tech to fix our meter communication box. My issue is that if it has never ever produced the min guarantee amount why would I have to pay the full price of the system during buy out. If I bought the panels I would no longer be reimbursed for the amount that they did not produce like I did when I was under their lease. I want to buy the panels since the lease gets costly going forward. Right now, instead of standing by their product, they send us to different customer services reps over and over who promise a supervisor will call and they never do.

I have never ever had such a horrible experience with Customer Service as I have had with SunPower. There are a ton of companies out there that care about their service and will have techs dispatched to your house when something is broken. There are companies who stand by their product and will address concerns that their customers have with them. SunPower is not one of them. It is very unfortunate that I am stuck dealing with a company that is so big they do not care about their customer. I would not recommend SunPower to anyone because as soon as something goes wrong you are out on your own.

SunPower response

We apologize for the experience you had with us. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistan

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We had been on automatic payments since the beginning of the lease and tried to turn off automatic payments online due to a financial situation change - wife was on unpaid maternity leave. We then received an automatic payment and incurred an NSF fee back in September 2018. I called customer service and was on the phone for about an hour and was told that automatic payments could not be turned off online and that they would turn it off. October came and we made a manual payment on the due date. Lo and behold an automatic payment came through as well and caused another NSF fee. I was going to call to complain but forgot about it for a little while.

November came and no automatic payment came through on the due date...ok, maybe they finally turned it off. December 1st, automatic payment is back...super another NSF fee. I just called customer service and they were no help. All I got was, “Would you like to turn off the automatic payment?” GRRRR. I have been making manual payments, why would I also like to have automatic payments. I asked to be reimbursed for the NSF fees that we incurred and I got silence. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I got, "we will have someone call within two business days". Not a happy camper.

Hello Michael,

We apologize for the experience you had with us. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an escalation specialist to address your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

In the summer our bill could be nearly $300. Now it is $3-5, so we asked SunPower to use any referral $ and simply pay it forward to our referral after installation, and reduce their cost. All our friends we referred to Sun tell us they have never been contacted by Sun, this is the third time to mention.

SunPower response

Hello Earl, Glad to hear that your SunPower system is saving you money! I'll send you a private note to help resolve your question about referrals.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My electric bill was high. We always look to cut down Electric bill. We have this solar panels since 2016. Our bill is only 10.00 per month. We do not worry about electric bill anymore. SunPower even replace all panels under warranty. There was a only 1 panel has issue. But they replace all panels to make sure no other issue. Very quick service. 25 Year warranty. Parts and labor. I am glad we have solar panels. I check about 9 to 10 solar companies who said 25 Years warranty. But fine print says 10 Years labor and 25 years parts. SunPower is true solar company who has great product and made in USA.

SunPower response

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Mitesh! Sorry to hear one of your panels had an issue but glad our 25-year warranty took care of that for you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I wanted to save money on utilities. I am on a fixed income so I contacted Sunpower. I really liked the salesperson and he seemed to give me honest and good information. As of now everything they told me seems to be correct and all the equipment is working as expected.

SunPower response

Thanks Elbert! Congrats on helping to change how our world is powered.

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

The world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers is also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, this company is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: The company offers SunPower Equinox for homes, SunPower Helix for commercial customers and SunPower Oasis for solar plants. The SunPower solar panel line includes the X-Series with 22.7 percent efficiency, E-Series with 20 percent efficiency and P-Series with 17 percent efficiency. The panels are available in 320–470 watts.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house. SunPower also manufactures flexible solar panels that can be used outdoors, on vehicles or to power small devices in case of power outage or emergency.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information