2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.48/5

SunPower believes clean energy and backup storage should be accessible to everybody.

That’s why SunPower designs all-in-one residential and commercial solar solutions backed by personal customer service and the industry’s most comprehensive warranty. And with over 35 years of dedicated solar experience, SunPower is the only U.S.-based solar company that’s been around longer than their 25-year warranty.

SunPower Video
SunPower Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

SunPower offers the world's first 400-watt solar panels, which provide more power with less space. PPAs aren’t available to residential clients, but solar panels are guaranteed to retain the original power capacity.

PROS

• Long warranty
  • Quality products
  • Wide availability

CONS

• Only offers PPAs to commercial clients

Top SunPower Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible... I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

I got quotes from two master installers in my area for SunPower's panels... They did a fantastic job and I didn't have to lift a finger. Thus far, I've been very happy going solar. The electricity production exceeded their estimates.

SunPower Call Now Toll Free (855) 463-9212 Get Started
Call Now Toll Free

About SunPower

SunPower offers a full line of solar power products and services to help you receive the benefit of renewable energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Inverters and panel boards arrive on-site ready for quick installation, and no field wiring or tools are required. Local SunPower solar installers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower provides a 25-year warranty on installation and panels, and its residential solar panels are guaranteed not to lose more than 8% of their original power output for 25 years of continual use. Many conventional solar panels experience a 19% loss of production over 25 years, so SunPower's guarantee lets you keep your energy production as efficient as possible.

SunPower solar panels cost

Installing a SunPower solar energy system typically costs between $2.83 and $3.83 per watt of power production. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower costs between $17,000 and $23,000 before incentives. For the most accurate SunPower solar panels prices, get a quote online or contact a local SunPower dealer.

With SunPower, you can purchase a system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. The money you save on utility bills helps you pay for your new system, and a SunPower solar power system usually increases your home's value.

SunPower solar panels

SunPower's flexible solar panels are durable and efficient. The company manufactures them using SunPower Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that outlasts conventional solar cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels give you more power per square foot than other solar panels on the market, delivering up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations and deliver more power.
  • X-Series: The SunPower X-Series solar panels are made of nonreflective black glass that reduces glare. They deliver the highest efficiency rate available in a residential solar panel — up to 22.8% — and are an excellent option when space is limited.
  • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver up to 20% efficiency and are available in 320-, 327- or 435-watt panels. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels.
  • P-Series: The SunPower designed the P-Series for large commercial projects. These panels are durable and get top results on reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in row-to-row shading and delivers up to 19% efficiency. SunPower manufactures a range of P-Series panels that produce from 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs. The company also covers rust damage.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
SunPower manufactures its solar panels in the Philippines and Malaysia.
What does the SunPower app do?
The SunPower app helps customers design and plan their new solar energy systems. It analyzes data from customers to estimate cost and show them how the new system will look.
Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
You can buy SunPower solar panels from wholesale dealers and online sellers.
Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
Yes, SunPower uses the EnergyLink monitoring platform. This monitoring platform gives customers real-time insight into their energy savings and a monthly report.
Does SunPower provide energy storage?
Yes, SunPower provides energy storage with the Helix battery storage system. Helix can save you even more money as an energy storage solution.

Is SunPower worth it?

Yes, SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. SunPower solar energy company offers excellent and comprehensive solar products and services to its customers with state-of-the-art solar cells and panels backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Our house is really old. We had an aging roof and we didn't go solar earlier because we weren't financially prepared to replace the roof. It was kind of silly to put solar up then have to replace your roof two years later. So, when we became financially able to afford it, we did both at the same exact time. I contacted a bunch of different dealers, had them come out and give me quotes. Then, we ended up going with SunPower because of their ratings. Also, a bunch of my friends have used their panels as well who had nothing but good luck with them. Aside from that, we went with SolarTech because the roofing package that they put together was better than anybody else's.

The rep, Brad, was amazing. He did a really good job in walking us through everything that we needed to do and even after the fact, he was always available for a phone call or would send me an email telling me the process or how it would be handled. So, we didn't have any hiccups at all with everything from start to finish. The installation of the roof took four days, then the solar panels were put on three weeks later and that took one day. So, it was a total of five days of construction, but the whole process was over the course of about a month. They also offered financing through SunPower Systems with a company called Mosaic that works directly with SunPower. So, I financed the whole thing.

The panels themselves are nice to look at. They all have black edges and I have a very dark gray roof, so they all blend together. Also, the interface on your phone when you're looking at your stuff is very simple to use, very seamless, and very easy. Plus, I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from the company that thanked me for choosing them and hoped that we were satisfied. So, it was nice that a manufacturer is as involved as they are to be able to send out stuff to you and thanking you for choosing them.

Recently, we were out of town in Arizona for four days, so the whole time, the panels were pretty much putting money into our bank account with San Diego Gas and Electric. Once we came back home, it'd been really hot here in Southern California, so we were running our air conditioner and we didn't feel as bad about running it because we already accrued some dollars in the account. So, we'll see nine months from now when we get our balance statement from the electric company how it all works. But so far, so good.

All in all, anyone who wants to go solar should do research. My brother-in-law just put in panels into his house and the panels were not good at all. But he went with the very first contractor that came out and gave him a bid. The panels that I have cost the same amount of money as his panels, except I'm getting a longer warranty. Plus, customer service is better built in the United States versus in other parts of the country, so you're giving jobs back to America when you go with SunPower. Then, if you are going to replace your roof, it's better to do it all at once with one company because they warranty the entire thing versus having to go with separate companies.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I was all set to go with another solar provider. Then a buddy of my friend's daughter needed some repair with the solar. Not only did Todays Energy Store go out and do the repair, but they also put the solar in at the Father's house so good reports. I had them come out and their proposal, warranty, and the actual panels themselves seemed better than the competitor that I was getting ready to go. They showed me the difference between theirs versus somebody else's, and all that was good.

The installation went great. Then after the system had been running for just a little while, somebody in a managerial position from SunPower reached out to me and said that Todays Energy Store, the installer, did the calculations wrong of what was gonna be provided and with the energy that I would be getting. They didn't put the panels in the right place. He said to ensure that, they would send me a check for $6,700. I called Todays Energy Store and told them about it. The guy said they would fix it and that SunPower took that money out of my account. This guy was not happy with SunPower and with me, ‘cause I told him that I'm not leaving $6,700 on the table. He wasn't thrilled.

I feel that SunPower did the right thing because my energy production may be meeting what the contract says, but it's not the way it should be. From now till the fall, I won't be building up any credits because the sun is moving and it's not hitting the panels the way that it should. But then come January, I start building up credits like crazy. The problem is the credits, it seems really good, because of the bad energy, they’re only paying nine cents per kilowatt hour. It's very little so I'm gonna get ready to see over the next six months again how this all plays out.

I'm very happy with SunPower. Had they not told me about the issue, I would probably be a really pissed off person because I wasn't getting what I thought. I just feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fact that I don't know if I have an issue with the actual installer, Todays Energy, or how happy he's gonna be coming out to fix it. But I feel like if I have an issue, SunPower will find somebody else. That's my hope.

One other thing, I wanted to put SunPower solar panels on the camper. I had a heck of a time. I reached out to Todays Energy, ‘cause they make a solar panel that can either put on a camper or can have a mount for it. I ended up getting a Renogy and it's working good. It's 100 watts and I'm probably gonna buy a couple more. But I reached out to SunPower through their website, through phone calls, and it was extremely difficult to try to purchase a separate panel for a camper.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I already had solar on a previous house. So, from that perspective, there was no sale necessarily involved. When we moved houses, we already had a spreadsheet put together, in terms of getting the numbers and compare. So, that way then I can do an apples to apples comparison versus, "Hey, company A is telling me this. Company B is telling me that, and it's $10,000 cheaper for that company. I'll go with that company B." I tried to be very even keeled without showing any favoritism towards one particular company. But in the end, SunPower really came through and showed the value proposition the best. I liked the overall perspective that I got both from the initial sales consultation and the knowledge level of the sales consultant.

We were a month delayed in getting the system turned on. But that was no fault of SunPower. That was 100% on PEC, the electrical cooperative that we have here because due to COVID-19, they were not doing any interconnection validations. That was the only delay we had on the project. Otherwise, it went through seamlessly and flawlessly. We're averaging about 150% generation vis-a-vis consumption right now on a daily basis.

Talk to people around you. There are a couple of reasons why detractors in solar are always going to be out there. One is that they don't necessarily understand the importance of going solar, that it's not just about a me, me, me type situation. And the fact that, "Well, it's only gonna be worthwhile if you're gonna be in the house for 10 to 15 years." "Well, okay. You put in a new kitchen. What do you mean?" That is what net cost out is like. You're not gonna get any money back except when it comes time to sell the house. Whereas with solar, yes, there is the net outlay of the construction, but you don't pay for electricity on the electricity you generate and when you're in surplus, you're selling it to the power company.

Number two, you also have those people that don't necessarily understand the value proposition. They just haven't had the right conversations for solar. One example, at my previous house, we have a solar installation done that was half the size of this one for the same price that this one was. So, in the three years between the two solar installations, there was a 50% cost reduction. So, to me, it's an outdated statement to say, "Well, you gotta be in the house for 10 years before you get reimbursed." But technology is going to be different in five years.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I was new in the market to figure what is good and what is not. I had more than two people coming to my house and explaining how solar works and how everything does. They were promising how this would work out this way about the energy company and what benefit they would be giving. The two important facts for me were the cost and the clear communication or the visibility into it. Because I, myself, is an engineer, I’m curious what are the inside components and how does it work. Solar Concepts' Rob, who was my sales guy, came to my house and that was how I got introduced to SunPower. I also went through my employer’s PerkSpot site and there also I found the rebate program which SunPower is driving. Rob explained everything that it wouldn't mean that it will go off the grid, what are the limitations, what are the ways to maximum utilization of the solar. I felt that this would be the company that I wanted to go with.

I got an email from the Solar Concepts that we won’t make that much energy throughout the year as we expected. SunPower sent me a check by doing some calculations and giving 17% of the cost back. But it didn’t serve the purpose. Now, I’m in the middle situation where I’ll be using some of my solar energy and some of my grid energy, so I’ll be having two bills now. And of course, there is no way that we can completely eliminate the grid bill or the energy company bill. I should at least utilize solar to the extent where I could use it during the daytime, and then on the nighttime, which is the off-peak hours, I’ll be using the grid energy. That is one thing I wanted to get insight.

I also wanted to see what are the parameters we consider and why this fluctuation came where we were expecting to generate 1,200-kilowatt energy for a year. But we don’t think we’ll make it to that. We’ll just generate maybe 800. I don’t know whether it was related to the panel material we choose or how does it work. But otherwise, SunPower’s been really good in terms of communicating what’s going on. Solar Concepts submitted my rebate form and I immediately got a response from SunPower that it would take eight weeks to process so that’s been good.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I came across SunPower through a referral. They did my father’s home and he told me he had a good experience with SunPower. I was always considering solar energy but I never did any research. My father told me to reach out to this guy and I did. Enrolling was simple. It’s almost as if the salesperson just get people in and then SunPower would verify the information and send it off because I never spoke to them again. But it was a good process on SunPower.

Ad-Energy was good with the installation as well. They were thorough and efficient. They were in and out. They explained what they were gonna do and coordinated everything. Everything was done by text which is cool with me. I’m a millennial and it was easy. It was like a month, from the time I signed up until the panels were on the roof. The whole thing was a lot faster than I thought it would be. But we had to wait for the town to get the permit. It really wasn’t a big deal and I don’t mind the human element but it would be cool if SunPower had a progress thing on their website and I could look at something that says where you are, what you need to do, what we’re waiting on and what's next. On the other hand, it's been cool since I started producing solar energy. It’s often seen on the website.

However, I wish there was a way to understand how the SRECs work and whether I am automatically enrolled in it. I believe my father was automatically enrolled with it and I would like to know how that can be applied toward my loan balance. I understand there's SunPower and then there's Mosaic but I don’t know if their two systems can talk. Seeing these SRECs that I'm going to produce this summer and what I need to do, I wonder whether I need to enroll anything with the government in terms of where this money is gonna go. The only reason why I’m aware of this is we had solar with a different vendor at my office that my father set up. He didn't even know he can get SRECs until four years later. The government sent him a check. So he never claimed his SRECs. We had to go to a broker and they charged a 25% fee to take it out. But that's the only thing.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Going solar is good if you can make some money and so far, I'm fairly satisfied. The experience with the SunPower sales rep was good and enrolling was pretty easy. The electric bill's definitely been affected in a positive way.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

It was recently brought to my attention by my electric company, SMUD, that my solar system may not be working properly. My system shows to only produce on average 73 kw per month. It has produced this amount since it was initially installed. Also, I recall that SunPower sent someone out approximately one year after I moved into my house and the technician said that the inverter had been installed backwards and that he had reinstalled it correctly. Come to find out the system is still incorrect and has been for the past seven plus years.

I called in and spoke with a customer service representative for your company and explained to him about the extremely low output of solar production. The customer service representative proceeded to tell me that I would have to call and have someone to come out and take a look at my system at my own expense. This is completely unacceptable since I have been paying for the solar system that has not worked properly from day one.

SunPower response

Hello Mr. Gibson, please know that your utility provider is only able to provide you with net generation data. You may review your actual energy production data through the SunPower monitoring website at https://monitor.us.sunpower.com/. To further assist you, I have escalated your concerns to our Executive Service team. The representative assigned to your case will gladly assist you with any questions or warranty concerns you may have. Please expect a call within a few business days.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I would rate SunPower quite high, but not 5 star as of yet. I always find the customer service reps not up to ask when handling my concerns. The system is great, I just wish I could get better support on the rare occasion that I do call in.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My wife and I have been interested in solar power for over 40 years. We thought that it has always been a good idea to be able to generate power and heat from solar energy. We first got interested in it by visiting the University of Delaware's solar project house in the 70's. We came to a stage in our lives that we could afford to have solar power and we took it. We have been very pleased with our SunPower panels so far. We would have liked to have our panels up and working a month sooner than we did but that can't be helped at this time. We really enjoyed having a negative electric bill from November to May, and then, having our bill be about half of what it normally is. We are pleased.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I had been thinking seriously about going solar based on my concerns about climate change and the savings that were of a secondary consideration. I received a "cold call" asking if I was interested in going solar. It was my fortune that the company that called was affiliated with Sun Power and the process began. The representative from Energy Pal was very professional and considerate and walked me through the entire process to go on-line and go solar. It was a seamless process from start to finish. I'm more than happy and satisfied that I can help alleviate in a small way the concerns about the environment and in the process encourage others to go solar.

SunPower Company Information