SunPower Learn More
  2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.15/5

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide. SunPower uses Maxeon solar cells for the highest wattage available, and its Community Solar program enables customers to install solar panels on apartments and condos.

SunPower Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

SunPower offers the world's first 400-watt solar panels, which provide more power with less space. PPAs aren’t available to residential clients, but solar panels are guaranteed to retain the original power capacity.

PROS

• Long warranty
  • Quality products
  • Wide availability

CONS

• Only offers PPAs to commercial clients

Top SunPower Reviews

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible... I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

I got quotes from two master installers in my area for SunPower's panels... They did a fantastic job and I didn't have to lift a finger. Thus far, I've been very happy going solar. The electricity production exceeded their estimates.

SunPower Learn More

About SunPower

SunPower offers a full line of solar power products and services to help you receive the benefit of renewable energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Inverters and panel boards arrive on-site ready for quick installation, and no field wiring or tools are required. Local SunPower solar installers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower provides a 25-year warranty on installation and panels, and its residential solar panels are guaranteed not to lose more than 8% of their original power output for 25 years of continual use. Many conventional solar panels experience a 19% loss of production over 25 years, so SunPower's guarantee lets you keep your energy production as efficient as possible.

SunPower solar panels cost

Installing a SunPower solar energy system typically costs between $2.83 and $3.83 per watt of power production. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower costs between $17,000 and $23,000 before incentives. For the most accurate SunPower solar panels prices, get a quote online or contact a local SunPower dealer.

With SunPower, you can purchase a system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. The money you save on utility bills helps you pay for your new system, and a SunPower solar power system usually increases your home's value.

SunPower solar panels

SunPower's flexible solar panels are durable and efficient. The company manufactures them using SunPower Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that outlasts conventional solar cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels give you more power per square foot than other solar panels on the market, delivering up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations and deliver more power.
  • X-Series: The SunPower X-Series solar panels are made of nonreflective black glass that reduces glare. They deliver the highest efficiency rate available in a residential solar panel — up to 22.8% — and are an excellent option when space is limited.
  • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver up to 20% efficiency and are available in 320-, 327- or 435-watt panels. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels.
  • P-Series: The SunPower designed the P-Series for large commercial projects. These panels are durable and get top results on reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in row-to-row shading and delivers up to 19% efficiency. SunPower manufactures a range of P-Series panels that produce from 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs. The company also covers rust damage.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
SunPower manufactures its solar panels in the Philippines and Malaysia.
What does the SunPower app do?
The SunPower app helps customers design and plan their new solar energy systems. It analyzes data from customers to estimate cost and show them how the new system will look.
Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
You can buy SunPower solar panels from wholesale dealers and online sellers.
Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
Yes, SunPower uses the EnergyLink monitoring platform. This monitoring platform gives customers real-time insight into their energy savings and a monthly report.
Does SunPower provide energy storage?
Yes, SunPower provides energy storage with the Helix battery storage system. Helix can save you even more money as an energy storage solution.

Is SunPower worth it?

Yes, SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. SunPower solar energy company offers excellent and comprehensive solar products and services to its customers with state-of-the-art solar cells and panels backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 3, 2020

I came across SunPower through a referral. They did my father’s home and he told me he had a good experience with SunPower. I was always considering solar energy but I never did any research. My father told me to reach out to this guy and I did. Enrolling was simple. It’s almost as if the salesperson just get people in and then SunPower would verify the information and send it off because I never spoke to them again. But it was a good process on SunPower.

Ad-Energy was good with the installation as well. They were thorough and efficient. They were in and out. They explained what they were gonna do and coordinated everything. Everything was done by text which is cool with me. I’m a millennial and it was easy. It was like a month, from the time I signed up until the panels were on the roof. The whole thing was a lot faster than I thought it would be. But we had to wait for the town to get the permit. It really wasn’t a big deal and I don’t mind the human element but it would be cool if SunPower had a progress thing on their website and I could look at something that says where you are, what you need to do, what we’re waiting on and what's next. On the other hand, it's been cool since I started producing solar energy. It’s often seen on the website.

However, I wish there was a way to understand how the SRECs work and whether I am automatically enrolled in it. I believe my father was automatically enrolled with it and I would like to know how that can be applied toward my loan balance. I understand there's SunPower and then there's Mosaic but I don’t know if their two systems can talk. Seeing these SRECs that I'm going to produce this summer and what I need to do, I wonder whether I need to enroll anything with the government in terms of where this money is gonna go. The only reason why I’m aware of this is we had solar with a different vendor at my office that my father set up. He didn't even know he can get SRECs until four years later. The government sent him a check. So he never claimed his SRECs. We had to go to a broker and they charged a 25% fee to take it out. But that's the only thing.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We've been producing energy since December of 2018 and we're impressed. We brag to our friends about how we're getting along with the power, reducing our carbon footprint along the way and all the time paying less than we would have paid with the local utility particularly after all the fires that have taken place and rates have continued to rise. Going solar was a good decision. I had been doing my research a couple of years ago and the trigger was that a number of outfits were showing up at the front door trying to sell me solar. Then I came across an ad for SunPower and I followed up on it. I ended up having a meeting with the guy over there and I was persuaded by the technology. Plus their approach to installation was really impressive.

The enrollment was handled by Justin and it was very easy. My wife and I showed up at the offices and provided the basic information around income and the level of power we wanted to generate, and he took it from there. They generated the online contract and sent it to us through email. Then we used DocuSign to sign the documents. That was the extent of it all and yet it took about a month after we have signed the papers to get the installation started. But they did all of these things like the application with PG&E and the permit with El Dorado County. So that was all part of their action items after the contract was signed. On the other hand, it was seamless for us. Justin was very professional. I appreciated his efficiency in getting the whole process going. He's also been responsive when I needed some questions answered.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I started looking at several different companies and after about eight weeks, I selected them based on product and cost. The rep, Shawn, understood the basics of the technology. I had all of the information about my last year of power and Southern California Edison cost. He was able to lay out a design and talk about how many panels to the appropriate power level. You get the loan from Mosaic. He did not know about the 30% discount and what Mosaic was expecting to get back from that 30% rebate.

Basically, Mosaic gave us the 18 months and put a target balance on the mortgage. And in our conversations at the time, Shawn did not understand that very well and said that I needed to pay the 30% right upfront. It got a little bit testy with me because he was telling me how I was gonna have to manage my money. And I didn't need that. I just needed to know what the ground rules were, and I could manage anyway. I had to finally get the loan, get their paperwork to come in, and clarify what was on there. The detailed explanation was on the second page of the Mosaic contract and told Shawn that that was the page he needed to know. I understand that Mosaic may change things, but they would probably communicate with the salesmen.

The installers came in on the day they were gonna put in. It was a one-day installation. We had gotten everything set up with Southern California Edison and everything was put in. And it has been cranking ever since. The system is performing as specified and my Southern California Edison bill is down to somewhere between $5 and $9 a month.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Being an electrician, I know how solar works, and I went for it to save money. SunPower was the first one to call when we started deciding on a company, and they came out and explained everything. We had to go through some paperwork to get our rebates, and then they took care of everything. They did everything they said they were gonna do. And after hearing other people not using SunPower, I’m glad we went with them. They’re a good company and their equipment is better. And their installation is clean. My son went with PosiGen, and they had to come back three or fours times to clean things up. They left screws in the driveway. The guys that installed mine were in and out in two days, and nothing was left to chance. Everything was marked correctly.

However, setting it up took almost six months, but it’s more of the town holding it up. You have to apply for all kinds of permits, then they have to come in and check your structures. North Haven was just slow issuing permits and held it up almost three months. Wallingford might be easier because they have their own electric division. Another issue in North Haven is they don’t have a full-time electrical inspector, so they contract it out and things have to get on a different schedule to get inspected. But SunPower did everything they had to - all the plans and print. Now, our highest bill with SunPower has been $12, and that’s just to use the UI's power lines. It’s not even using their power, but their delivery charges are crazy. We also have a side company that if we don’t have enough with SunPower, we have close to a thousand hours in bank with the UI.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible. Dealing with the customer service was also painless. I’ve had a little bit of problem with the monitor, which is fixed now. I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

The year before I got it, my average electric bill was $132. And two months of that was almost $300, but it was really hot for a long time. I lease the system so I knew what my normal cost was. I knew it was gonna go up. And SunPower quoted 107 or something, leased. So, I’m putting no money in it. Before they installed it I replaced the felt for my roof under the area that they were going to be installing. Because all these houses are 30 years old and really should have it all replaced. And Kirsten, the agent, was extremely knowledgeable, straightforward, no BS, just clear, which I like. So, everything together made it look like an okay deal. Good enough that I picked with them over all the other people I’ve talked to.

I like having solar. The monitor works fine now. I check it every few days. I used to check it almost every day just to see. My electricity bill now is typically $10 a month, plus the $107 fee, but I expect it to stay that way. If I ever have to replace my air conditioner, I’ll put one in that’s more efficient, which will basically get rid of any cost increase from the electric company.

I’ve referred SunPower six people on my street. I know practically everybody here in my local area because I’m a general contractor for most of the houses, and several of them have talked to SunPower. One or two are not getting it because it didn’t make economic sense. The one at the end of the street is from Wisconsin and they’re gone, not the whole summer, but maybe five or six months of the hot part of the year. So, it doesn’t make sense because it’s mainly the air conditioning. One person has installed it, and my next-door neighbor is probably going to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: March 25, 2020

My panels have not been producing since January, therefore I have high electric bills on top of my lease. They scheduled an appointment 3 weeks out from when I called. Then they don't show up and when I called to ask why they said it was canceled. I hung up and they sent an email that the tech is sick and scheduled out again 4 weeks later, this is unacceptable and they need to send someone out ASAP!!! TERRIBLE... THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. I used have has Solar Topps but they did not renew with Sunpower because of this!!

SunPower response

Hello Mrs. Pelke, I'm sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: March 25, 2020

We added solar to offset a new heating and A/C system. The installation went smoothly, but there were many issues like: inspection coordination, rebates, and most importantly the installation shut down the monitoring for a previously installed solar system. Sunpower refused to take responsibility for it until I pushed it. They finally figured out what is wrong, that they affected, but it is yet to be repaired. It is now 4 months since the installation. I was concerned the old system was deactivated. It took 4 months for them to confirm it was still on too. The customer service representatives in the office do not have good, and consistent customer service training.

Additionally my neighbor was supposed to get a referral bonus for recommending us and for our signing a contract and being paid in full. Now he was told that a rebate we received from Neovolta (the battery backup company) was the referral bonus he should have received. Can you begin to imagine how awkward this is with us and our neighbor? This needs to be addressed and settled with our neighbor. At the start of contracting we even signed the referral confirmation link sent by SunPower and had nothing to to with a battery rebate. Their very public referral program does not link referrals to rebates.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Main sales points were quality (solid copper back, we're on the Gulf Coast), company size, and price. Great experience with Freedom Solar Power and SunPower panels. Installed in January and looks like they will produce their rated output come summer. The only hitch was the rush to install before the end of 2019 which they did not meet (process started in 10/2019). The various approvals and permits were also less than transparent. The FSP technical team is superb - they diagnosed a problem with the meter and a repair team was out in an hour to fix the issue (remote town 120 miles from a major city).

Original review: March 21, 2020

Not producing enough electricity. I was given an estimate that it will produce roughly 16,500 kW last month. I had a bill of $85 this month. I had built up $24. I had sent my three month electric bill to the sales person at Sunny Mac by Sunpower. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t heard anything back from him. I also want to add my outside PV to directly connected to my modem inside the basement and they said it’s not necessary. It is a simple plug that they have to wire through it and I don’t know why it can’t be done.

SunPower response

Hello Pradip Kalola, I am very discouraged to hear of your experience with one of dealers. I would like to look into this matter a bit further. Please be expecting a call from one of our executive service specialist. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

Original review: March 20, 2020

My spouse is interested in going 100% solar. He is very environmentally friendly. He's recycling and he has an electric vehicle. When I bought my home, it already had SunPower panels. I called SunPower to add more panels so I can raise to 100%, they referred me to Quality Home Services. We had about six months to complete the installation. One of the biggest hurdles was they kept failing the city inspection. Other than that, everything is fine. It’s getting better because we’re going into summer since right now we are barely getting days with a lot of sun. Everything is working the way it’s supposed to be.

SunPower Company Information