2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.47/5

SunPower designs and manufactures powerful and advanced solar energy systems for homes and businesses worldwide. SunPower uses panels with Maxeon solar cells for high efficiency and backs its panels with a 25-year warranty covering parts and labor. SunPower is available in 26 states and helps customers go solar with as little as $0 down.

SunPower Video
SunPower Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

PROS

• Long warranty
  • Variety of financing solutions
  • Broad U.S. dealer network

CONS

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Top SunPower Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

… Our experience enrolling was the best. Everybody that showed up from Ambrose Solar was knowledgeable and friendly. They said when they were gonna do it and they did exactly what they were gonna do…

… The enrollment was easy. The company that was installing it did all the legwork… The customer service reps explained everything and how everything went. Everything ran smoothly and had been great so far.

About SunPower

SunPower offers a full line of solar residential and commercial solutions to help you receive the maximum benefit of renewable energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest-wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Solar panels arrive on site with factory-integrated microinverters that allow for faster installation. Local SunPower solar dealers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower provides a 25-year warranty on panels and microinverters, and its residential solar panels are guaranteed not to lose more than 8% of their original DC power output over 25 years of continual use. Many conventional solar panels experience a 19% loss of production over 25 years, so SunPower's guarantee lets you keep your energy production as efficient as possible.

SunPower solar panels cost

Installing a SunPower solar energy system typically costs between $3 or more per watt of power production, depending on multiple factors. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 before incentives. This pricing changes often. For the most accurate SunPower solar panels prices, get a quote online or contact an authorized SunPower dealer.

With SunPower, you can purchase a residential system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. When it comes to a lease or loan, the cost of solar is typically lower than your former utility bill, leading to immediate savings. When purchasing the entire solar system, the avoided costs of energy to the homeowner can be large.

SunPower solar panels

SunPower's solar panels are durable and efficient. The panels use Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that provides a robust connection that far outlasts conventional solar cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels provide a high amount of power per square foot and deliver up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations and deliver more power.
  • X-Series: Built with anti-reflective glass that reduces glare, X-Series panels deliver the up to 22.7% efficiency and are an excellent option when available roof space is limited.
  • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver more than 20% efficiency and are available in wattages of 320, 327 and 435. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels.
  • P-Series: Specifically designed for large commercial projects, these panels are durable and consistently achieve high results in reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in cases of row-to-row shading and delivers up to 19% efficiency over the first 25 years of operation. SunPower commercial solutions offer a range of P-Series panels that produce from 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower mounting systems

SunPower designs its own mounting solutions, compatible with their panels, with an emphasis on superior looks and ease of installation.

• InvisiMount: SunPower’s rail-based mounting system, adapted for most roof slopes and types. InvisiMount has 70% less visible parts than other comparable mounting systems and has pleasing aesthetics with its all-black design.
  • OneRoof:A roof-integrated solar mounting solution for new homes, OneRoof is both a high-quality metal roof product and a solar mounting system. It integrates within the roof as flush as an install can be, while providing enough air circulation to ensure peak performance from the panels.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs. The company also covers rust damage.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
SunPower’s solar panels are manufactured in the United States, Mexico, the Philippines and Malaysia.
What does the SunPower app do?
SunPower’s monitoring app allows customers to see how much energy their solar is producing, monitor their consumption and alert owners to system issues, such as Wi-Fi connectivity issues.
Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
You can buy SunPower solar panels directly from SunPower or through authorized SunPower dealer partners.
Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
Yes. The mySunPower mobile app lets customers view real-time energy production and usage (when usage meters are compatible) and provides historical data to estimate energy savings.
Does SunPower provide energy storage?
Yes, SunPower provides energy storage to both residential and commercial customers.

The Helix battery storage system lets customers manage their energy use and increase savings. Helix storage works with commercial solar or independently to maximize energy savings by further reducing energy costs.

The company's new residential storage offering, SunPower SunVault, is a sleek solution that provides homeowners with peace of mind when there is a power outage. It is only available in select markets at this time but is expected to be offered more broadly in 2021.

Is SunPower worth it?

Yes, SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. SunPower solar energy company offers excellent and comprehensive solar products and services to its customers with state-of-the-art solar cells and panels backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

We received the initial quote from the rep of Cosmic Solar and it was perfect. My wife and I talked about it over the evening and then I got back to him the following day saying to do it. He drew up the numbers again and all of a sudden, the price increased, to which I was not thrilled. He couldn't figure out what was going on. I told him that I wanted the exact quote he gave me before. Come to find out, SunPower changed their pricing overnight and he could no longer honor the initial pricing that was quoted to us the night before because it was the end of the month, then the new month started, and they changed who their lender was. There were now a bunch of lender fees that were incorporated into the loan which why the cost jumped and the APR was gonna be different for the financing.

We went back and forth several different times. We ended up coming to an agreement that we did the increased price for the same exact system, with a lower APR. Once we were locked in with that, we never heard from him again. He told us he would show up on the first day when the installation was, and already told us when the installation about the time frame that it was going to occur. He said it was gonna be installed by only 60 days out. Then I reached out to Cosmic Solar directly to their front office. It had been about 30 days at that point and I haven’t heard from anybody. I asked them what's going on with our install.

All of a sudden, one day, I got a phone call from an electrician saying he's on his way to do the panel upgrade. I asked him who he was. He said that Cosmic Solar was supposed to reach out to me and tell me that he was coming. So, no communication from Cosmic Solar at all. He showed up and did the panel upgrade. I got more information from him than anybody else on the entire project. I reached out again to Cosmic Solar and asked when the install date would be as it was supposed to be done 30 days ago. They said I was scheduled for two weeks from that day. I also asked if there was anyone gonna tell me that anyone was coming. Then they said they have an opening the following week and they could fit me in that time and I said okay. So, the rep that told us that he was gonna be here on the first day of the installation never showed up and we hadn't heard from him at all.

During the discussion of the whole thing, my wife was joking around about wanting to change the tiles on our roof because there was moss in them. He said he'd just power wash them for us. My wife asked how much it would cost to do that. He said not to worry about it and if that would make or break the deal, he would find a way to get it done. When I found out the installation was gonna occur, I emailed Cosmic Solar and asked if they would still power wash the roof ahead of time. They said they don't do that due to liability and it could break the tiles. I told them that their rep said it was gonna get done. They said it was not written in our contract. I felt that was again bad business practice.

I absolutely love the system it's producing. I like being able to monitor it and see exactly what's going on with it. I also love the monthly update with how much energy is being produced. I would just never use that salesperson again. In fact, the email that I sent to Cosmic Solar regarding the business practices was forwarded to him. He sent a scathing email back to me, he didn't like that I called him a liar. But I truly felt like he was that. He said something that was gonna happen, but couldn't follow through with it. No contact, didn't show up when he said he would, and the price changing overnight. I was not thrilled with it. I would not recommend Cosmic Solar. But I would recommend the system to other people.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

What a wonderful Christmas present we received from South Coast Solar! My wife and I decided a couple months ago that we wanted to reduce our monthly bills and the timing was right to go solar. I spent numerous hours online gathering information about solar and then decided to use an internet resource called EnergySage to assist in finding the best solar options for us. It was really quite simple, all I had to do was tell EnergySage how much electricity we were using annually by uploading my most recent electricity bill to them. I simply scanned the bill and submitted it to them via their website.

On the EnergySage website I was also able to read extensive information about the many paths available to go solar, then wait until EnergySage contacted multiple solar vendors with my information and the vendors to get in touch with me. One of the first vendors to contact me was South Coast Solar, a master dealer of SunPower solar equipment. I worked with Grant ** to determine the best and most cost effective solar solution for us. Grant was extremely knowledgeable and proved he was interested in doing the best for us by answering every question I raised.

Grant would make a great teacher as he never resisted answering any question and never made me feel like I was ignorant about solar. He literally spent hours working one on one with me. He really surprised me when I asked if it would be OK to submit his plans and quote to other solar dealers to see if they could compete with the prices quoted and he agreed it was a good idea as he wanted me to get the best deal possible for us.

Interestingly, in communicating with other solar vendors, I found their salespeople were unable to answer questions I raised with Grant, and when they did provide answers different from those Grant supplied I did additional research only to find Grant was spot on with all his answers. No other vendor offered me a quote on the same setup with a better price, despite the fact that they didn’t need to do the work of configuring the system, just quote me a price. In fact, the closest price quote I received from the other vendors was nearly 10% higher.

But my work still wasn’t done as I then researched customer reviews for South Coast Solar and the competitors who were the closest in price as I was willing to spend an additional $2,000 to go with the vendor with the best reviews. Not surprisingly, based on reviews I found online, South Coast Solar not only had the best price, but also garnered the best reviews from their customers. I didn’t find one bad review for South Coast Solar so I decided to have them supply and install the solar system as specified.

We did wait a while for the installation to begin but that was due to the fact my county was slow in approving the permits required for the installation. Finally, the workmen showed up for the installation. The installer guys were extremely friendly and were also willing to answer any additional questions I raised. In less than 24 hours the solar panels and associated electronic equipment were installed and the property was cleaned up, I was pleased to see the installers also used appropriate safety equipment during the installation as my roof has a substantial slope to it and I am always afraid when anyone gets on the roof that they may fall off!

At the completion of the installation the equipment was tested and shown to be in proper working order. I am still waiting for the county to inspect the installation and for the local electric company to replace my electric meter, but when that is done I will be pushing power back to the electric grid during daylight hours and only drawing power when the sun is down.

South Coast Solar with SunPower also has the best warranty on the market and a guarantee that the panels will produce as much electricity as quoted or they will pay me double the cost of any electricity not produced. Only Master Dealers with SunPower provide that guarantee! A big thank you to Grant **, Scott **, and the installation crew for helping me move to solar as seamlessly as possible!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My wife and I are interested in renewable energy and just trying to be a bit more planet-responsible. She was more in it for the planet part of it. I'm more of a numbers guy. So, I told her if we can make the numbers make sense then, of course, I'm in. I looked at it as more of an investment versus she looked at it as more of a help the planet kind of thing. I got a couple of different bids from different companies, one of which was TECO Electric here in Charlotte, and they are a SunPower dealer and recommended your system.

It started off with just reaching out to their office. I went to them, researching them online. I talked with one of their guys who set me up with a phone meeting with their head salesperson named Joe, and he was fantastic. He already had a schematic of my house. I sent them my electric bill and just wanted to talk about my needs and what I was looking for, and make sure that it all made sense financially.

We had a proposal the same day. Went ahead and said yes and moved forward. He and the project manager, Whitney, and the head installer, all set up a time to come to the house to do a site survey. Whitney is still in touch with me as far as making sure that we would be all set up for our rebate for next year. Any concerns, she's always right there and available. They were phenomenal. They went up on the roof, checked everything, checked the electrical panel, made sure everything was all good to go. And we gave the go ahead right then and there. It has been great.

We are in the middle of our second full month. I've never been more excited to get an electric bill in my life, which is really weird. But I was tracking it with the monitoring software, which has been great. It’s perfect as far as tracking what my offset was. When we did the proposal, the idea was to try to come up with 85% of my electricity coming from solar. And it was right there, if not higher. We just got an electric car so we guessed on how much charging we were going to be doing on it to try to come up with a good number, but they were right on the money. My first electric bill was $22. It had cost me 14 just to be a customer of Duke Energy, so I only paid $8 for electric for October. And November is looking right around the same track, so it's great.

The main thing is you just have realistic expectations. We had unrealistic things sold to us by other solar companies, like payoff period. Just make sure you're dealing with real numbers and know where the money comes from, especially these guys that are going to sell you this 20-year or 30-year loan, and it's only a couple of bucks a month and it's super cheap, but you're paying a lot more for it than you really need to. And make sure it makes sense for your house. Like if you don't have a south facing home or a north facing home, sometimes you have to put so many panels on just to get efficiency that it might not be worth it. I look at it more as an investment. If I can get my money back on it, great. My payoff period on this thing is going to be six or seven years. It’s perfect.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Our house is really old. We had an aging roof and we didn't go solar earlier because we weren't financially prepared to replace the roof. It was kind of silly to put solar up then have to replace your roof two years later. So, when we became financially able to afford it, we did both at the same exact time. I contacted a bunch of different dealers, had them come out and give me quotes. Then, we ended up going with SunPower because of their ratings. Also, a bunch of my friends have used their panels as well who had nothing but good luck with them. Aside from that, we went with SolarTech because the roofing package that they put together was better than anybody else's.

The rep, Brad, was amazing. He did a really good job in walking us through everything that we needed to do and even after the fact, he was always available for a phone call or would send me an email telling me the process or how it would be handled. So, we didn't have any hiccups at all with everything from start to finish. The installation of the roof took four days, then the solar panels were put on three weeks later and that took one day. So, it was a total of five days of construction, but the whole process was over the course of about a month. They also offered financing through SunPower Systems with a company called Mosaic that works directly with SunPower. So, I financed the whole thing.

The panels themselves are nice to look at. They all have black edges and I have a very dark gray roof, so they all blend together. Also, the interface on your phone when you're looking at your stuff is very simple to use, very seamless, and very easy. Plus, I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from the company that thanked me for choosing them and hoped that we were satisfied. So, it was nice that a manufacturer is as involved as they are to be able to send out stuff to you and thanking you for choosing them.

Recently, we were out of town in Arizona for four days, so the whole time, the panels were pretty much putting money into our bank account with San Diego Gas and Electric. Once we came back home, it'd been really hot here in Southern California, so we were running our air conditioner and we didn't feel as bad about running it because we already accrued some dollars in the account. So, we'll see nine months from now when we get our balance statement from the electric company how it all works. But so far, so good.

All in all, anyone who wants to go solar should do research. My brother-in-law just put in panels into his house and the panels were not good at all. But he went with the very first contractor that came out and gave him a bid. The panels that I have cost the same amount of money as his panels, except I'm getting a longer warranty. Plus, customer service is better built in the United States versus in other parts of the country, so you're giving jobs back to America when you go with SunPower. Then, if you are going to replace your roof, it's better to do it all at once with one company because they warranty the entire thing versus having to go with separate companies.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I was all set to go with another solar provider. Then a buddy of my friend's daughter needed some repair with the solar. Not only did Todays Energy Store go out and do the repair, but they also put the solar in at the Father's house so good reports. I had them come out and their proposal, warranty, and the actual panels themselves seemed better than the competitor that I was getting ready to go. They showed me the difference between theirs versus somebody else's, and all that was good.

The installation went great. Then after the system had been running for just a little while, somebody in a managerial position from SunPower reached out to me and said that Todays Energy Store, the installer, did the calculations wrong of what was gonna be provided and with the energy that I would be getting. They didn't put the panels in the right place. He said to ensure that, they would send me a check for $6,700. I called Todays Energy Store and told them about it. The guy said they would fix it and that SunPower took that money out of my account. This guy was not happy with SunPower and with me, ‘cause I told him that I'm not leaving $6,700 on the table. He wasn't thrilled.

I feel that SunPower did the right thing because my energy production may be meeting what the contract says, but it's not the way it should be. From now till the fall, I won't be building up any credits because the sun is moving and it's not hitting the panels the way that it should. But then come January, I start building up credits like crazy. The problem is the credits, it seems really good, because of the bad energy, they’re only paying nine cents per kilowatt hour. It's very little so I'm gonna get ready to see over the next six months again how this all plays out.

I'm very happy with SunPower. Had they not told me about the issue, I would probably be a really pissed off person because I wasn't getting what I thought. I just feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fact that I don't know if I have an issue with the actual installer, Todays Energy, or how happy he's gonna be coming out to fix it. But I feel like if I have an issue, SunPower will find somebody else. That's my hope.

One other thing, I wanted to put SunPower solar panels on the camper. I had a heck of a time. I reached out to Todays Energy, ‘cause they make a solar panel that can either put on a camper or can have a mount for it. I ended up getting a Renogy and it's working good. It's 100 watts and I'm probably gonna buy a couple more. But I reached out to SunPower through their website, through phone calls, and it was extremely difficult to try to purchase a separate panel for a camper.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I plan to buy a PHEV and wanted to go solar. After searching several companies and receiving 3 estimates I selected Freedom Solar and SunPower. They have the BEST product and warranty. Freedom Solar kept me informed throughout the process and my system is working GREAT. I'm totally satisfied!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

There were two different Sun solar dealers in town that were trying to get the same business. One was definitely better than the other, because the other one was trying to get the jump on the other, which wasn’t done very professionally, the introduction by the second company. Overall, I'm 100% satisfied going solar.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

My system has been down for months. Nobody wants to take responsibility for my system. I have been told I am not a customer but their equipment has their name all over it. It is still under warranty and not working. I highly advise that if you want to go solar these guys are not the way to go. The home came with solar as part of the building process. I am open to working with them if they can resolve my problem. But so far nobody will take the initiative. Maybe SunPower’s CEO Tom Werner could facilitate some assistance.

SunPower response

Hello Mark, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration related to failed equipment. Based on your response, it sounds like you may have a product sold by another manufacturer which includes SunPower components. Instances like this require customers to file warranty claims with the manufacturer/company who sold the equipment and not with the manufacturer of the equipment. Please send me a private message if you have additional questions.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I don’t like the WiFi network that I can’t disable. That just gives interference to my own network and provides absolutely no value to me. I don’t like the light on the SunPower box outside my house. I have a Tesla box as well. It’s a good example of a useful phone app compared to the SunPower app.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

SunPower was very upfront. Their salesman was very informative and I didn't have any surprises afterward. They were right on time when they said they were going to be. The crew was very congenial, professional, kept things cleaned up when they left and told me what the next steps would be, contacting our present power supplier and when we could actually connect it up and use it.

I wish I have the ability to store some of the power. Not having a battery backup when the sun goes down or the clouds come in or at night, it doesn't work. You have to use the normal grid. Also, I was a little surprised that if the power goes down, we can’t produce solar. So if they, for some reason, have an outage, the solar won’t produce either. They haven’t figured out a way to do that so we can continue to at least while the sun is shining. But the little issues that came up weren't a deal-breaker for me.

SunPower Company Information