SunPower

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In September an authorized dealer by the name of Sunmark Solar installed a solar system on my home. They made several claims regarding warranty, potential savings and guaranteed power output. All were lies and I paid 41000 for a 10kw system that was suppose to produce close to 10000kw a year but instead has been down at least 6 times and has only generated 1200kw in 7 months. Sunmark the authorized dealer for Sunpower who had recently changed its name from Firstmark Advantage lied about how much the system would produce yearly and the savings before the sale. After the sale and the install when the system didn't produce they provided three different estimates of the expected output. First one for 10000kw which I received, then 7900kw which I was never provided and then a new one more recently which now states 6600kw.

They made false claims that I agreed to cut down every tree in my yard which was never the agreement. I am the process of taking legal action against them and Sunpower. My home uses 13000kw a year so you think anyone would ever pay 41k to have a system produce less than half than their yearly usage. As of now it is on pace to not even meet 5000kw. My electric bill is still high and in addition I now have the loan payment. My bill is now 550 a month.

After months of fighting with this company I had another solar company review the reports which I just received and they acknowledged the system should have never been installed without first removing the trees. The company used Unfair and deceptive business practices and misrepresented the product. Buyer beware. Do not BUY a solar system from Sunpower. If you purchase the system they will ignore you and point you to the dealer for any warranty claim or issues. The dealer who is often small will do nothing and will eventually disappear leaving customers who purchased the system out in the cold. So the 25 year warranty is completely worthless. The company changed its name from First mark Advantage to Sunmark Solar after several left the company because of their business practices.

They have good customer service but I believe they have a lot of clients to attend to so they might slack a little bit here and there but I am sure if the company expands in staff members, this can be fixed. The company needs to put more work there to satisfy customers. I do not find their financing system bad but I think they need to pay attention to their use of services. I strongly and honestly feel that there is really great value, I can not complain about that. Their services are all in short valuable to put it all in short.

The service that I used was quick and easy and the customer service rep was very knowledgeable and able to help with my every need. I would use them again as they were very quick to get the task I needed done completed and with ease. The prices were great too and that's always a plus! The prices were comparable to other companies. Not the lowest of prices but not the highest either, and for the services they provide I would say the prices are reasonable. The financing options available are great for large expensive purchases.

I was thankful to have chosen this company. It was a great overall experience compared to others I have had with other Solar power companies. The reps are very knowledgeable and the value was great for what I got. They continue to be the best decision I could have made. When they arrived with my solar panels for my out building they were ready to get to work. The entire process only took a couple of hours and it has worked like a dream since installation.

They really explained everything they were doing to me and made me a part of the process. I understand everything about my panel now and I'm happy about that! Not everything they showed me was outrageously expensive like I thought it would be. I got a solar panel that I never would've dreamed I could afford. I think I easily got my money back in savings since I got my solar power panel installed in my house. Plus it wasn't that expensive to begin with so I knew it would be that way. They set it up in a day or two and it was fully up and functional within a week at most if I recall correctly. On top of that I didn't even notice the workers outside.

The customer service personnel were nice. They helped schedule an appointment to have a solar panel installed on top of my roof. They went out of their way to help you. The financing of the installation was reasonable. They can work with you with prices and how to set up a plan to pay in installments if the price is an issue. The value of the product is good. I do not have any issues thus far since the installation. It functions properly and is efficient. Overall, it is good product. The setup and installation is good. I called a professional from solar company to set up solar panel on my roof. He was knowledgeable and experienced in answering my questions and setting up the installation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

They were great. I had no issues with them and they helped me with every aspect of the process. There was no question that weren't answered. There were several financial options available. All of the options were explained to me in great detail that I was able to make an informed choice on which was best for me. The whole process was not all that long. The installers came on time, were very professional. They took enough time but not too much to get the job completed in a timely manner.

All questions answered thoughtfully and intelligently. High quality products and service. Pricing was reasonable. Would definitely recommend to friends, family, and neighbors. Offered many viable options and process was fairly easy and painless. Best money we could have invested for the service and product. We've been ready to solstice our homes for a while and when we finally decided to do so, they made it so easy. We feel like we are doing a great deal to reduce our carbon footprint on the world and they've helped us with great service and prices. Installation went without a single hitch. Crew knew what they were doing. They were careful and conscientious. Couldn't have asked for a finer group of professionals.

The people at the company were very helpful and friendly which is appreciated for someone like me who is in the customer service industry. They explained everything in simple upfront terms which is needed because I have a family and we budget our money so the plan worked for us. It is a good value I think because solar energy is better for the environment so even if it's a little more than what we expected to pay it's still worth it. The installation people were quick and helpful in explaining all the ins and outs of using the products and troubleshooting problems so we liked that about them.

We purchased a house that just took out a new lease on solar panels. It's been a nightmare process the entire time. We completed all the necessary paperwork August 1st, moved into the house on Aug 19th.I reached out multiple times to their rep, Roxanne, since we hadn't received our account information or received confirmation that the system was working at all. Then on Sept. 2 they said they didn't receive our paperwork so I sent it again, same issue on Sept 21st.

Then on Oct 19th we received a collection call saying that they haven't received our paperwork or payment. The only bill they could generate at that point was a bill in the previous owners name. I said forget just come get these off our roof since you don't have our paperwork. Then the story changes that they do have the paperwork and they are processing the payment. Wait if you already had the paperwork for the lease and auto payments how am I getting harassed by collections? This company has no idea what they are doing. I don't want their panels on my roof. I have filed a BBB complaint so I guess we will see. Their customer service is all based in India and horrible! All they do is talk in circles and quote you contract law...

We had talked about talking to someone about solar for a few years. The customer service was very helpful in answering our questions. We were very skeptical at first. We were in no position to pay cash at the time. We talked over several options and decided to finance it over a few years. We got a great deal. We save a lot of money using solar. It has paid for itself. Especially this summer. It's been so hot and we are just very pleased with our purchase of solar energy. The workers were very knowledgeable. Had some great friendly workers. The setup was very interesting. I watching a lot of the installation. They had it done very quick.

The customer service is reliable and am satisfied with their customer service. It is a somewhat new company therefore I believe that their customer service will be better in a few months. The financing option I am happy with it. It was depressing at first because the first installation payment was pretty expensive, but after installation happen I see reduction in my electricity bill. I would recommend this method for everyone because only the installation fee at first is really hefty, but after installation fee you can see the value is really worth it I GUARANTEE! I was happy with the set up and installation experience. The guy installing the product at my house was really nice. But the installation did take quite a while. Therefore I am satisfied.

Great company! They care about their customers and the environment. They also have great prices and alternatives for every homes needs. They have diverse options for each customers' needs. They treat everyone as the individual they are and not as a number. You will not be disappointed. They have an amazing value. You will see the results in making a purchase. Trust me, I am not dishonest when I make my reviews. You will see your utility drop to either zero or significantly lower. They are very thorough and efficient with their installments. The installers are very competent and they make sure they do the job right the first time. I highly recommend their services for both home or business purposes.

The customer service is very helpful. If you have a problem they resolve it quite quickly. They are very friendly. They are very knowledgeable about the product. They have great options to finance. They have several options to use if you need one. They are comparable to other solar companies. They are aware of the options they offer. The value is compatible to others. The value of the product is great for the price you paid for. The customer service is great for the value. The value is reasonable. The installer was very well pleasant. They knew the product. They talked and told us exactly how to use it and every step he had to do to install.

I like the people I talk with. They were helpful and courteous. They knew what I was looking and knowledgeable about it. Sold it to me for a reasonable price. I paid cash for everything. We didn't talk about financing at all because I always pay for everything I buy with cash. It's easier that way, don't like owing anybody. Solar panel and power plant is what I wanted and work great. Very satisfied with it. Like people I did business with. Work great. Was easy to setup installation. Was easy to hook up to the cabin in woods on my place. I would recommend it everybody. I'm not an electrician either, it was easy.

I recently had a inverter go bad on a 2 year old solar system. After seven weeks and numerous phone calls the unit was replaced under at no charge. I asked for some financial help to pay the loan that was taken out to buy the system. Was told NO. If the part was replaced in a normal time frame say 2 weeks I would not ask for financial help but seven weeks is a long time without compensation.

I will not work with them again. They got all the money, we are waiting for TWP, I do not believe that 2 months they did not come to approve the system. Meantime all paid, nothing working.

Worst customer service ever, no feedback on project, missed every date on schedule, poor communication, reckless installation, my system is still not working.

Updated on 8/19/2016: I am a new customer and I can't even get someone to call me back to even see if my system is functioning correctly. I have escalated the issue, but SunPower just keeps ignoring me. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Get a Lawyer and sue them? I just can't get any customer support out of this company. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Check other Solar companies first, they all have better customer service. SunPower is the worst.

They were very helpful and informative in every aspect of the process. I was able to contact them at anytime. I had no major problems. I was able to choose a wide range of financial options. They explained every steps and options open to me. They helped me with the whole process. For what I was looking for they were able to help me with everything I need to use and I like what I paid for, and I'm glad that I went with them. The installer was very knowledgeable. They were friendly. I would recommend them to any and all my friends and family.

The customer service reps were very friendly, very helpful, and proactive. They quickly resolve any problem and are always ready to help. Financing option were satisfying and provided a good value. They provided many option to finance to fit anybody particular situation. Overall, the company provided a good value taking into account service they provided and the cost. I am very satisfied and pleased with the service. The setup and installation was a very good experience. The technician was very knowledgeable, professional, and work was done quickly and without any issues.

I am very happy with this. It has been a perfect upgrade. Nice upgrade for anyone. While we did not need any financing, they had plenty options available. Very fast, friendly workers and no issues. Value was really good. Pays for itself in no time at all. Best upgrade there is. No problems and no bad experiences. Highly recommend. Very simple. Set up was a breeze. Fast and reliable. Anyone can do it. No need for additional help, it's easy. Fast process.

Agents weren't friendly, very aloof and not very helpful. I asked for a supervisor but was put on hold for over an hour, then supervisor told me there was nothing he could do to solve my problem. Financing options were very poor, they offered me little options when it came to monthly payments, and they were very expensive options. I chose to just pay cash upfront since the financing plus interest equaled an ungodly amount of money. The value was horrible, the product didn't work well at all and the customer service refused to give me a refund. I will not deal with them in the future. If you need solar powered products please look elsewhere. Setup was easy but the product was very fragile, half the panels don't work and were very difficult to get positioned just right to get the optimal production from them. So getting it together was easy, but getting it to produce at optimum efficiency was downright awful.

Still having problems with company; this is an ongoing problem since Sept 2013. Amergy and their installers ruined my NEW ROOF. It now leaks; these leaks have caused damage to the interior of my house and I worry about the possibility of mold in my ceilings and walls. I have been in contact with Amergy who sent a repair crew that DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!! So I called SunPower - they have been looking into this for over a month and my (first complaint was four months ago). I have called, and called SunPower and they keep saying they are looking into it and will take care of the problem. I told Maria the supervisor if the work is NOT completed by the end of the month I will make the repair and WILL NOT pay them till I recovered my money plus the cost of MY time. Guess what? Nothing has been done and today is the 28th of the month - only 2 days left to do the work.

Updated 9/21/2016 - I signed 3 years ago with Amergy SunPower installer and I have had nothing but problems with Amergy. SunPower has helped in that they have delayed payment; however when I call Mr. F ** I do not get a call back. SunPower has since dropped Amergy as an installer as far as I can tell here in Staten Island because there is another distributor doing installations. I guess that they no longer use Amergy they don't have to push them to pay for the repairs and the damage Amergys roofer RAR of Brooklyn did to my property not to mention they did not redo all the shingles. These company should be avoided at all costs.

Fast and efficient. It is the future of electricity. And for that you will need constant sunshine. The present weather pattern in USA would not let you produce enough electric power for your homes and use of gadgets. The financing is easy and affordable. In view of it being an emerging technology, there is a lot of incentive available to switch to this kind of revolutionary technology. The financing available can be used to avail of a facility which is new and clean. The value for money spent is good. In the beginning, consumers may feel doubtful about the value and usefulness of using this type of technology but as you continue to use it your doubts would be replaced by confidence. The setup is easy and fast. It is a clean energy alternative and the equipment used in this installation is simple and uncomplicated. The company you use would do all the work in this regard and there is no consumer-side effort needed.

Their customer service representative was very polite and professional. She answered all my questions and was very responsive to emails and telephone calls. They offered several financing option for the project. However, I did not use their financing options. I obtained my own financing through my local bank with which I have a good relationship. I believe the solar panels I had installed on my home roof provide excellent value. They have decreased my electric bill which could be very high in the Texas hot summers. I also feel they will be a selling point if I ever decide to sell the home. The installation employees were very well trained and performed the work in a timely and efficient manner. I would recommend this company for a professional job from start to finish.

The guy was very understanding on my situation and helped me out to the best as he could. And he got a supervisor to come help me so great customer service. Helped me out a lot but was kinda expensive and I'm still paying for it but all in it was worth it because now I got it done and almost paid for. The value I deemed was a rip off and was very mad at how much they were taking from my checking account. All in all it was okay.

I finally signed a SunPower lease with Summer Wind Solar, one of their dealers. The workers worked hard, done what they could to make a bad installation workable but the diagram was all wrong. They ended up installing panels on my garage and patio. The ones on the garage are shaded and the ones on the patio stand up about 70 degrees which doesn't look professional to me. The installation wasn't acceptable to SunPower so I later had to sign an amendment to significantly lower their production guarantee. Solar Wind later lost their state business license so I had nobody but SunPower to contact when the inverter stopped working. It took about a month and a half for them to send out a third party contractor to open up the panel and fix a loose wire.

Now pigeons, lots of them, have taken over their sun panels that I am leasing. They have built so many nests that you can't see under them and dead baby hatchlings and eggs are falling out. It's a fire hazard for sure but they tell me that it's not their problem. I read the contract and don't see one thing that would suggest that the maintenance of those panels would be my responsibility. According to them, I must hire someone that they refer to do the work and pay for it myself. So I'm afraid that this person that they recommended could damage their equipment or have an accident falling off my roof. They aren't bonded, insured, or licensed, so this doesn't seem like the best solution.

In the meantime, pigeon droppings are covering my patio and falling into our swimming pool. We've used a ton of chemicals in an ozone pool just to clean the pigeon poop and now the diluted solids are so high that the chlorine doesn't work more than a day. It's only a couple of years old with the popup self-cleaning equipment but now has to be drained. Oh, how I wished that I had never signed that solar lease. We can't even sell a home like this now so we are trapped.

The customer representative was very kind and listened to everything I had to say and answered all my questions. They got back to me as soon as they could. I would highly recommend. The options to choose from were pricey, but that's what you get with anything solar. However, the representative was very kind and gave me a generous discount for trying it out. The shipment came in fast, and everything was delivered in perfect order and condition. So far everything has been working well, and I think it was worth the price, especially with the great customer service. It was a bit difficult to install. I had to call the customer representative to get help. She sent someone over to me the next day, and they helped me install everything with no charge.

The customer service I received from this company was really very good. I can't complain. They are very easy to do business with especially compared to other companies in this field or a different field. The financing options were okay. They were kind of confusing though, not very self-explanatory. I don't know if it was just the person I dealt with or the financing option in general. The value was pretty standard for their line of products. Pretty comparable to the same products that the other companies offer. I wouldn't say the value is good or bad, just ok. Setup and installation went smoothly. It was pretty clear prior to the setup and installation how long it would take and what it would consist of. There wasn't any surprises or issues.

If the panels not working then they would help you out and they are always kind and ask you nicely, which is always a positive. I just don't like to wait that long. They do have a good financial option, but the interest is not something I like. I think they should decrease it. Otherwise the company is pretty good. I think it as an investment in the future because I feel like there will be more used in the future for energy. Plus I save some money in the long run. It was a decent amount of time for the installation, but it was not loud. They arrived on time, which I like and they finished around the time they said.

They were able to quickly and easily install my solar panels on my roof, and did it in a timely manner. They not only fit really well within my schedule, but did their work in a timely manner. While I did not seek or need financing options, they made it very clear that there were quite a few available to use to try and lessen the immediate load on my shoulders economically. IF I had needed economic help, they made it clear that they would help me.

Overall I would say it was quite affordable and was easy to use. They did everything just the way they said they would and in a wonderfully quick and easy manner. If I ever needed any help or repair on my solar panels, I would call them first because of my experiences in my first encounter with them. They were able to set up and quickly install my panels in a wonderful time window that worked in my schedule. They did not give me a few options to choose from. They asked me when I was available and I told them times and they chose based on which one worked best for me.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

SunPower is one of the world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers, and it’s also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated, and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, SunPower is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: SunPower’s solar cells and modules hold efficiency records for commercial solar technology – meaning they can produce the same amount of power as competitors in a smaller area. Its solar cells and solar modules are also known to be of very high quality. SunPower was the first company to offer homeowners a 25 year guaranteed level of performance on their solar panels or money back for the difference.
  • Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.
  • Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.
  • Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.
  • Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house.
  • Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.
  • Best for homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners, cash and loan consumers and DIY solar users.

Compare Solar Energy Companies