2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.42/5

SunPower believes clean energy and backup storage should be accessible to everybody.

That’s why SunPower designs all-in-one residential and commercial solar solutions backed by personal customer service and the industry’s most comprehensive warranty. And with over 35 years of dedicated solar experience, SunPower is the only U.S.-based solar company that’s been around longer than their 25-year warranty.

SunPower Video
SunPower Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

PROS

• Long warranty
  • Variety of financing solutions
  • Broad U.S. dealer network

CONS

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Top SunPower Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible... I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

I got quotes from two master installers in my area for SunPower's panels... They did a fantastic job and I didn't have to lift a finger. Thus far, I've been very happy going solar. The electricity production exceeded their estimates.

SunPower Call Now Toll Free (855) 463-9212 Get Started
Call Now Toll Free

About SunPower

SunPower offers a full line of solar residential and commercial solutions to help you receive the maximum benefit of renewable energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest-wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Solar panels arrive on site with factory-integrated microinverters that allow for faster installation. Local SunPower solar dealers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower provides a 25-year warranty on panels and microinverters, and its residential solar panels are guaranteed not to lose more than 8% of their original DC power output over 25 years of continual use. Many conventional solar panels experience a 19% loss of production over 25 years, so SunPower's guarantee lets you keep your energy production as efficient as possible.

SunPower solar panels cost

Installing a SunPower solar energy system typically costs between $3 or more per watt of power production, depending on multiple factors. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 before incentives. This pricing changes often. For the most accurate SunPower solar panels prices, get a quote online or contact an authorized SunPower dealer.

With SunPower, you can purchase a residential system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. When it comes to a lease or loan, the cost of solar is typically lower than your former utility bill, leading to immediate savings. When purchasing the entire solar system, the avoided costs of energy to the homeowner can be large.

SunPower solar panels

SunPower's solar panels are durable and efficient. The panels use Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that provides a robust connection that far outlasts conventional solar cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels provide a high amount of power per square foot and deliver up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations and deliver more power.
  • X-Series: Built with anti-reflective glass that reduces glare, X-Series panels deliver the up to 22.7% efficiency and are an excellent option when available roof space is limited.
  • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver more than 20% efficiency and are available in wattages of 320, 327 and 435. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels.
  • P-Series: Specifically designed for large commercial projects, these panels are durable and consistently achieve high results in reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in cases of row-to-row shading and delivers up to 19% efficiency over the first 25 years of operation. SunPower commercial solutions offer a range of P-Series panels that produce from 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower mounting systems

SunPower designs its own mounting solutions, compatible with their panels, with an emphasis on superior looks and ease of installation.

• InvisiMount: SunPower’s rail-based mounting system, adapted for most roof slopes and types. InvisiMount has 70% less visible parts than other comparable mounting systems and has pleasing aesthetics with its all-black design.
  • OneRoof:A roof-integrated solar mounting solution for new homes, OneRoof is both a high-quality metal roof product and a solar mounting system. It integrates within the roof as flush as an install can be, while providing enough air circulation to ensure peak performance from the panels.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs. The company also covers rust damage.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
SunPower’s solar panels are manufactured in the United States, Mexico, the Philippines and Malaysia.
What does the SunPower app do?
SunPower’s monitoring app allows customers to see how much energy their solar is producing, monitor their consumption and alert owners to system issues, such as Wi-Fi connectivity issues.
Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
You can buy SunPower solar panels directly from SunPower or through authorized SunPower dealer partners.
Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
Yes. The mySunPower mobile app lets customers view real-time energy production and usage (when usage meters are compatible) and provides historical data to estimate energy savings.
Does SunPower provide energy storage?
Yes, SunPower provides energy storage to both residential and commercial customers.

The Helix battery storage system lets customers manage their energy use and increase savings. Helix storage works with commercial solar or independently to maximize energy savings by further reducing energy costs.

The company's new residential storage offering, SunPower SunVault, is a sleek solution that provides homeowners with peace of mind when there is a power outage. It is only available in select markets at this time but is expected to be offered more broadly in 2021.

Is SunPower worth it?

Yes, SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. SunPower solar energy company offers excellent and comprehensive solar products and services to its customers with state-of-the-art solar cells and panels backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I knew the person I bought SunPower from. I knew that he sold solar, and then I found out it happened to be a SunPower product. I'd been waiting because I needed to do some other upgrades to our house. We have two AC units. So, to me, a higher priority is changing out an AC unit that’s old versus putting in solar because then I can get a system that's more suited to our actual consumption. But then our second unit is doing fine right now, so we decided to just invest in solar now and take advantage of some tax incentives that may not be available in the future.

Jeff did a really fine job and his entire team. The installation was seamless, very efficient, well drawn like the installers obviously done it a time or two. I teach from home with COVID and they kept me in the loop on when it’s supposed to be, what’s needed to be done, like when they had to go access our attic and stuff like that. It was amazing how fast and efficient they were. They cleaned up after themselves.

If you're looking at solar energy, SunPower would be the first and only company you would need to consult. They did a really good job. My house faces south. So, it’s not in an ideal direction because now my panels are in the front of my house. But they were able to hire subcontractors to kind of move a pipe, so then all my panels are uniform all together as much as possible instead of having spaces in between panels, which I saw at other houses, and I didn’t like that. They did one chunk on the left of it, one chunk on the right, but it's very symmetrical on how they did it. It was really thought of.

As far as usage, I like the SunPower app. I use that daily to see where things are at. I know the day that my system officially got turned on, and so I always kinda look at the day after because that's like my first full day. Because the first day was only a partial day. Since it's new to me, I really enjoy looking at it to see. Because there's a lot of construction nearby, my panels got dirty. Then we got some rain, and I noticed that my power production jumped up. So, I said, “All right. I need to make sure that I get something to hose off the panels on a more regular basis, especially when it's not typically the raining season” because I saw how much of an impact that was on solar production.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

SunPower had a leasing plan that looked favorable. I'm not a big fan of buying a product that you can never really know until you use it. It's not like you're gonna go out and buy a bunch of solar panels for your house then six months or a year later, go, "I wish I hadn't bought them. I wish I had bought something else." If you're leasing them, they're not yours and you don't have to worry about it. If they don't work, you don't have to fix them. I wouldn't have to put the thing back together again if something happens that's beyond my control like the panel shorts itself out because it was poorly designed.

The guys for the installation did a great job. They didn't leave a bunch of nails and screws lying around in the driveway. They didn't make any holes in the siding when they put the ladders up. They didn't do anything wrong and I don't have any leaks anywhere. That was the only concern I have when you start putting bolts into the roof of a house. You potentially have leaks but it's been certainly long enough now that we didn't have a problem. We didn't have any huge snowstorms last year and that's the only thing that hasn't been tested with it yet. This winter, we're due for some serious snow. We'll find out how it handles that.

So far, the panels are still all attached to our roof despite some extreme rainstorms that we've had over the last couple of months. We had a blast of wind come through two weeks ago that snapped a tree off about 25 feet from the ground in our backyard. Our house was shielding the tree below that point so the wind came right across the roof of the house. It was amazing that it didn't do anything awful.

Our electric bill is less than it was before we had the panels installed. Our house is now entirely green and we use a lot of electricity. We're averaging $253 a month before and the lease is only 167. We did a really good thing by going in this direction and it doesn't look like electrical energy is gonna get cheaper to produce with fossil fuels anytime soon. We're saving money every month. I just looked at my national grid statement and once again, we paid nothing for our electricity for over a year now except for the lease.

If you're concerned about the environment, this is one way to go green without going to use batteries in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and you can still run your air conditioner. This has been an exceptionally warm summer for New England and our air conditioners were on most of the time. Also, I'm an audio engineer and I have a recording studio. I spend most of my days in the recording studio which has no windows so it's all lights.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Our house is really old. We had an aging roof and we didn't go solar earlier because we weren't financially prepared to replace the roof. It was kind of silly to put solar up then have to replace your roof two years later. So, when we became financially able to afford it, we did both at the same exact time. I contacted a bunch of different dealers, had them come out and give me quotes. Then, we ended up going with SunPower because of their ratings. Also, a bunch of my friends have used their panels as well who had nothing but good luck with them. Aside from that, we went with SolarTech because the roofing package that they put together was better than anybody else's.

The rep, Brad, was amazing. He did a really good job in walking us through everything that we needed to do and even after the fact, he was always available for a phone call or would send me an email telling me the process or how it would be handled. So, we didn't have any hiccups at all with everything from start to finish. The installation of the roof took four days, then the solar panels were put on three weeks later and that took one day. So, it was a total of five days of construction, but the whole process was over the course of about a month. They also offered financing through SunPower Systems with a company called Mosaic that works directly with SunPower. So, I financed the whole thing.

The panels themselves are nice to look at. They all have black edges and I have a very dark gray roof, so they all blend together. Also, the interface on your phone when you're looking at your stuff is very simple to use, very seamless, and very easy. Plus, I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from the company that thanked me for choosing them and hoped that we were satisfied. So, it was nice that a manufacturer is as involved as they are to be able to send out stuff to you and thanking you for choosing them.

Recently, we were out of town in Arizona for four days, so the whole time, the panels were pretty much putting money into our bank account with San Diego Gas and Electric. Once we came back home, it'd been really hot here in Southern California, so we were running our air conditioner and we didn't feel as bad about running it because we already accrued some dollars in the account. So, we'll see nine months from now when we get our balance statement from the electric company how it all works. But so far, so good.

All in all, anyone who wants to go solar should do research. My brother-in-law just put in panels into his house and the panels were not good at all. But he went with the very first contractor that came out and gave him a bid. The panels that I have cost the same amount of money as his panels, except I'm getting a longer warranty. Plus, customer service is better built in the United States versus in other parts of the country, so you're giving jobs back to America when you go with SunPower. Then, if you are going to replace your roof, it's better to do it all at once with one company because they warranty the entire thing versus having to go with separate companies.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I was all set to go with another solar provider. Then a buddy of my friend's daughter needed some repair with the solar. Not only did Todays Energy Store go out and do the repair, but they also put the solar in at the Father's house so good reports. I had them come out and their proposal, warranty, and the actual panels themselves seemed better than the competitor that I was getting ready to go. They showed me the difference between theirs versus somebody else's, and all that was good.

The installation went great. Then after the system had been running for just a little while, somebody in a managerial position from SunPower reached out to me and said that Todays Energy Store, the installer, did the calculations wrong of what was gonna be provided and with the energy that I would be getting. They didn't put the panels in the right place. He said to ensure that, they would send me a check for $6,700. I called Todays Energy Store and told them about it. The guy said they would fix it and that SunPower took that money out of my account. This guy was not happy with SunPower and with me, ‘cause I told him that I'm not leaving $6,700 on the table. He wasn't thrilled.

I feel that SunPower did the right thing because my energy production may be meeting what the contract says, but it's not the way it should be. From now till the fall, I won't be building up any credits because the sun is moving and it's not hitting the panels the way that it should. But then come January, I start building up credits like crazy. The problem is the credits, it seems really good, because of the bad energy, they’re only paying nine cents per kilowatt hour. It's very little so I'm gonna get ready to see over the next six months again how this all plays out.

I'm very happy with SunPower. Had they not told me about the issue, I would probably be a really pissed off person because I wasn't getting what I thought. I just feel I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with the fact that I don't know if I have an issue with the actual installer, Todays Energy, or how happy he's gonna be coming out to fix it. But I feel like if I have an issue, SunPower will find somebody else. That's my hope.

One other thing, I wanted to put SunPower solar panels on the camper. I had a heck of a time. I reached out to Todays Energy, ‘cause they make a solar panel that can either put on a camper or can have a mount for it. I ended up getting a Renogy and it's working good. It's 100 watts and I'm probably gonna buy a couple more. But I reached out to SunPower through their website, through phone calls, and it was extremely difficult to try to purchase a separate panel for a camper.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I’ve had Sunpower for about 3 years and now I am in the process of selling my home and the new buyer agreed to take over the lease. However, Sunpower is forcing me to pay a $300 filing fee in order for them to provide UCC filing documents to the mortgage company of the new buyer. This is during a pandemic where I am barely surviving and able to provide for my family which I’ve mentioned to the representative that I was speaking to but none of that mattered to them. This is a lesson learned, I will definitely look into other companies in the future because of this experience and also, my monthly solar panel bill was $81 which is more than any other solar panel company out there. Please do your research before using this company. DO NOT make the same mistake I made. I wish I can have 0 stars for this review.

SunPower response

Hi Sara, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration related to the lease transfer fee and the hardship your family is experiencing. We value your business and ask that you send me a private message if wish to have someone contact you to further discuss.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

My daughter always thought that everything should be all natural, which made me decide to go solar. I kept seeing people with solar panels, and it was a good idea. When the solar panels were installed, I told the reps that I would go certain days of the week and I would not be here from time to time. By the time I got home, they were all done. They put them all up there and I wasn’t even here. There was one issue that had to do with my heating system. They cut the pipe that goes to my furnace and it completely went out, and they got a bill on that one. But I love Sunpower and the solar panels up there. I have no problems although the snow would probably stop the solar part. But I still have electric to back it up so, it’s no big deal on that.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

SunPower has the worst customer service I've dealt with in my entire life. They kept telling me I need to get my panels washed for them to start producing electricity. So, I did that and paid for it from my own pocket but the panels still were producing next to nothing. I've been contacting them every few weeks for 2 months and they still haven't sent somebody to fix the issue. Every time they have a new excuse on why they are not sending somebody. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking about putting a complaint with the builder and city/state.

SunPower response

Hello Arsal Ajaz, I apologize for the energy production issues you're experiencing with your SunPower equipment. Please expect a call from an Executive Service Specialist within the week to address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

We went through SunPower through Alternative Energy. We liked those panels. They were the most powerful and we could get more kilowatt hours out of them than some of the others. The sales representatives were very thorough. Each one explained the steps going forward and made sure we understood. Then their solar coach went over all the different programs, options on the program, and made sure we understood as well. I could always contact her at any time if I have more questions. The installment crew was here for three days. Of course, that was a lot of walking on the roof, and it kind of looked like it aged the roof for about 10 years. But then we're satisfied. I've been watching the PG&E and we're generating a little bit more than we're using right now, and so we'll generate more in the summer too. We designed it for 125% of last year's usage so we could start using our AC rather than the swamp coolers.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I went Solar to help the environment. I spent 2 years researching different Solar companies and then I found Sun Power. Marc was Great! Any question, concern, or Thought I had was addressed in a timely manner. This guy cares!! Installation Day The Crew arrived on time. Justin and his guys went to it and before I knew it the Solar was done and ready. No muss. No fuss. I recommend Sun Power. Great job Guys.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

To save money & to protect the environment. I appreciate the packing around the electric pipes in the garage to keep out weather and infestation which had dried and fallen to the ground. I still am unaware why Tesla contacted me to come for this service appointment. Since something had previously become disconnected, I am hoping with this repair that Tim, the serviceman, described, the electric company should resume compensating me for power I send to the grid.

SunPower Company Information