SunPower

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Installation and setup is superb, very neat and quick. Service and setup is incredibly easy I would recommend the most amazing service. The financing option is very flexible I couldn't be any happier at the incredible financial options available to help me at the most of the best option. Their customer service is top notch, prompt at assisting and provide very useful helpful service. Always very polite at answering question and also very incredible at providing the best customer services that they can to help me with what I need. Very very amazing value at the most affordable pricing available to allow me to highly recommend. Couldn't have ask for a better value at an affordable price.

This was a big purchase for us so we had saved for a while and did not need to finance. We just bought straight cash because we don't like payments. It was expensive but so far we enjoy it and for the money it is a good value because we use it often so can't complain about that. SunPower’s customer service was also very good. They explained everything including how to work my solar generator and troubleshooting in case of an event in which it stopped working. When it was delivered the technician showed us exactly how everything worked including the manual so we knew how to do everything which is important because sometimes we use it where we have no cell service.

SunPower is something that we would recommend for others. You spend money on this but overall you end up saving money in the long run. It is good for you and your family and it is also good for our environment. They also have very nice customer service for us in our overall experience. We like it. The installation was easy too.

SunPower was the company for me. They have thoughtful, courteous, prompt service, technicians knew their job well, explained in detail what they were doing and were able to address all questions and concerns I had. Also, set up and installation was so easy. Making arrangements to look over products and telephone confirmations were prompt. The installation took as long as I was told it would and not any longer than expected. I was also able to choose a pay per month plan that fit my budget. This made it easier to get the work done that I wanted. Some other companies did not offer this option. The value I received was great too!

I would definitely recommend SunPower to friends and family. I felt the customer service was exceptional! I did have a question and it was answered quickly and efficiently. Also, the Financing options that were available to me were worthy of note. I feel the value of the products purchased was terrific and very fair as well. I felt it was not underpriced, making it feel cheap, and was not overpriced, making me feel ripped off. I also didn't have to worry about anything with installation or set up. It was all taken care of and very simple directions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

SunPower put them up in a couple days and it was crazy how fast they work. The financing options were great. The solar system wasn't fully paid but it was partly paid for because they helped out a lot and it worked out perfectly. The value was so much and it had 18 solar panels.

They were very accommodating and nice and respectful and I had a good experience with this company overall. They have very above average customer service from my experience in my honest opinion so props to them and their company for being so above average. Thanks. I would say financing options are pretty good and varied. It is a little on the expensive side but I was above average satisfied in my opinion. There was pretty good value in this company's product. I was overall satisfied with my experience of installation. They came to my home and helped me install. It was in a timely fashion which I was very happy about.

Companies can get away with not caring and doing their best. SunPower's installation could be a lot better. The setup was costly and confusing. It is a good value but the quality is uncharted and it seems they don't care. Moreover, customer service is not responsive to phone calls which can be frustrating. While their financial options are okay, the added interest is costly and could be better for consumers who are trying to live more environmentally friendly lives.

The workers who came to install the solar panels were very polite and also worked very hard in a timely manner. These workers were very professional and did a great job. The experience was great because they finished on time. The packages that my consultant provided to me over the phone were very reasonable and worked in my favor financially... The options provided were well explained and I was able to choose the right one for me. The solar panels provided will pay for themselves in less than 10 years... Great value for the price. I am very happy with my selection.

I didn't have enough energy for my big home. I hardly have any windows and needed more light. SunPower's representatives were very friendly and polite but they couldn't figure out how to help me. They came and did a great job setting the system up for me and told me it was exactly what I needed for my home. They knew what they were doing. However, the system wasn't nearly worth the price. It couldn't keep up with what was needed but they expected me to play their large prices. I couldn't afford the high payments they were asking for and they wouldn't work with me on what I could afford. I've found cheaper since then but after the bad experience I'm hesitant to do this again.

They were quick to set up and install. It seemed so easy that I could have done it. They didn't charge too much. I did notice that they could have done it a little quicker though. But they did explain things for me. It was decent dealing with these people and they opened my eyes to new things and helped me with my dilemma in figuring out how these work and what I can do to save on electricity in the future. They allowed me to either make payment or a one time deal which I was unable to make so I set up a great installment plan to make my budget and save a few dollars and cents. The value wasn't what I had expected... I thought I could save more or it would not be as expensive. It will take years to recoup my cost into what I have paid.

People that work at SunPower are very friendly. Their customer service agents were very helpful and questions were answered in a speedy fashion. I was extremely happy with all the information. Also, their installation experience is rated a ten and had very high standards. Moreover, the financing options that they had were very acceptable. The value of the products is 100% and everything was just right. I would totally recommend Sunpower.

Nice customer service provider. Easy to talk to. Very eager to respond to many questions. Wish they were more worldwide but still easy to obtain and maintain. Very easy to start up and finance... have many different tiers with many options to obtain. Affordable and very reliable energy source. Great value! Easy access and great website and online material. I received a better amount quoted than most other energy sources. Quick set up and very quick turnaround time. They came out very fast and had set up done in a pinch. I'd definitely recommend to any company or person.

In September an authorized dealer by the name of Sunmark Solar installed a solar system on my home. They made several claims regarding warranty, potential savings and guaranteed power output. All were lies and I paid 41000 for a 10kw system that was suppose to produce close to 10000kw a year but instead has been down at least 6 times and has only generated 1200kw in 7 months. Sunmark the authorized dealer for Sunpower who had recently changed its name from Firstmark Advantage lied about how much the system would produce yearly and the savings before the sale. After the sale and the install when the system didn't produce they provided three different estimates of the expected output. First one for 10000kw which I received, then 7900kw which I was never provided and then a new one more recently which now states 6600kw.

They made false claims that I agreed to cut down every tree in my yard which was never the agreement. I am the process of taking legal action against them and Sunpower. My home uses 13000kw a year so you think anyone would ever pay 41k to have a system produce less than half than their yearly usage. As of now it is on pace to not even meet 5000kw. My electric bill is still high and in addition I now have the loan payment. My bill is now 550 a month.

After months of fighting with this company I had another solar company review the reports which I just received and they acknowledged the system should have never been installed without first removing the trees. The company used Unfair and deceptive business practices and misrepresented the product. Buyer beware. Do not BUY a solar system from Sunpower. If you purchase the system they will ignore you and point you to the dealer for any warranty claim or issues. The dealer who is often small will do nothing and will eventually disappear leaving customers who purchased the system out in the cold. So the 25 year warranty is completely worthless. The company changed its name from First mark Advantage to Sunmark Solar after several left the company because of their business practices.

They have good customer service but I believe they have a lot of clients to attend to so they might slack a little bit here and there but I am sure if the company expands in staff members, this can be fixed. The company needs to put more work there to satisfy customers. I do not find their financing system bad but I think they need to pay attention to their use of services. I strongly and honestly feel that there is really great value, I can not complain about that. Their services are all in short valuable to put it all in short.

The service that I used was quick and easy and the customer service rep was very knowledgeable and able to help with my every need. I would use them again as they were very quick to get the task I needed done completed and with ease. The prices were great too and that's always a plus! The prices were comparable to other companies. Not the lowest of prices but not the highest either, and for the services they provide I would say the prices are reasonable. The financing options available are great for large expensive purchases.

I was thankful to have chosen this company. It was a great overall experience compared to others I have had with other Solar power companies. The reps are very knowledgeable and the value was great for what I got. They continue to be the best decision I could have made. When they arrived with my solar panels for my out building they were ready to get to work. The entire process only took a couple of hours and it has worked like a dream since installation.

They really explained everything they were doing to me and made me a part of the process. I understand everything about my panel now and I'm happy about that! Not everything they showed me was outrageously expensive like I thought it would be. I got a solar panel that I never would've dreamed I could afford. I think I easily got my money back in savings since I got my solar power panel installed in my house. Plus it wasn't that expensive to begin with so I knew it would be that way. They set it up in a day or two and it was fully up and functional within a week at most if I recall correctly. On top of that I didn't even notice the workers outside.

The customer service personnel were nice. They helped schedule an appointment to have a solar panel installed on top of my roof. They went out of their way to help you. The financing of the installation was reasonable. They can work with you with prices and how to set up a plan to pay in installments if the price is an issue. The value of the product is good. I do not have any issues thus far since the installation. It functions properly and is efficient. Overall, it is good product. The setup and installation is good. I called a professional from solar company to set up solar panel on my roof. He was knowledgeable and experienced in answering my questions and setting up the installation.

They were great. I had no issues with them and they helped me with every aspect of the process. There was no question that weren't answered. There were several financial options available. All of the options were explained to me in great detail that I was able to make an informed choice on which was best for me. The whole process was not all that long. The installers came on time, were very professional. They took enough time but not too much to get the job completed in a timely manner.

All questions answered thoughtfully and intelligently. High quality products and service. Pricing was reasonable. Would definitely recommend to friends, family, and neighbors. Offered many viable options and process was fairly easy and painless. Best money we could have invested for the service and product. We've been ready to solstice our homes for a while and when we finally decided to do so, they made it so easy. We feel like we are doing a great deal to reduce our carbon footprint on the world and they've helped us with great service and prices. Installation went without a single hitch. Crew knew what they were doing. They were careful and conscientious. Couldn't have asked for a finer group of professionals.

The people at the company were very helpful and friendly which is appreciated for someone like me who is in the customer service industry. They explained everything in simple upfront terms which is needed because I have a family and we budget our money so the plan worked for us. It is a good value I think because solar energy is better for the environment so even if it's a little more than what we expected to pay it's still worth it. The installation people were quick and helpful in explaining all the ins and outs of using the products and troubleshooting problems so we liked that about them.

We purchased a house that just took out a new lease on solar panels. It's been a nightmare process the entire time. We completed all the necessary paperwork August 1st, moved into the house on Aug 19th.I reached out multiple times to their rep, Roxanne, since we hadn't received our account information or received confirmation that the system was working at all. Then on Sept. 2 they said they didn't receive our paperwork so I sent it again, same issue on Sept 21st.

Then on Oct 19th we received a collection call saying that they haven't received our paperwork or payment. The only bill they could generate at that point was a bill in the previous owners name. I said forget just come get these off our roof since you don't have our paperwork. Then the story changes that they do have the paperwork and they are processing the payment. Wait if you already had the paperwork for the lease and auto payments how am I getting harassed by collections? This company has no idea what they are doing. I don't want their panels on my roof. I have filed a BBB complaint so I guess we will see. Their customer service is all based in India and horrible! All they do is talk in circles and quote you contract law...

We had talked about talking to someone about solar for a few years. The customer service was very helpful in answering our questions. We were very skeptical at first. We were in no position to pay cash at the time. We talked over several options and decided to finance it over a few years. We got a great deal. We save a lot of money using solar. It has paid for itself. Especially this summer. It's been so hot and we are just very pleased with our purchase of solar energy. The workers were very knowledgeable. Had some great friendly workers. The setup was very interesting. I watching a lot of the installation. They had it done very quick.

The customer service is reliable and am satisfied with their customer service. It is a somewhat new company therefore I believe that their customer service will be better in a few months. The financing option I am happy with it. It was depressing at first because the first installation payment was pretty expensive, but after installation happen I see reduction in my electricity bill. I would recommend this method for everyone because only the installation fee at first is really hefty, but after installation fee you can see the value is really worth it I GUARANTEE! I was happy with the set up and installation experience. The guy installing the product at my house was really nice. But the installation did take quite a while. Therefore I am satisfied.

Great company! They care about their customers and the environment. They also have great prices and alternatives for every homes needs. They have diverse options for each customers' needs. They treat everyone as the individual they are and not as a number. You will not be disappointed. They have an amazing value. You will see the results in making a purchase. Trust me, I am not dishonest when I make my reviews. You will see your utility drop to either zero or significantly lower. They are very thorough and efficient with their installments. The installers are very competent and they make sure they do the job right the first time. I highly recommend their services for both home or business purposes.

The customer service is very helpful. If you have a problem they resolve it quite quickly. They are very friendly. They are very knowledgeable about the product. They have great options to finance. They have several options to use if you need one. They are comparable to other solar companies. They are aware of the options they offer. The value is compatible to others. The value of the product is great for the price you paid for. The customer service is great for the value. The value is reasonable. The installer was very well pleasant. They knew the product. They talked and told us exactly how to use it and every step he had to do to install.

I like the people I talk with. They were helpful and courteous. They knew what I was looking and knowledgeable about it. Sold it to me for a reasonable price. I paid cash for everything. We didn't talk about financing at all because I always pay for everything I buy with cash. It's easier that way, don't like owing anybody. Solar panel and power plant is what I wanted and work great. Very satisfied with it. Like people I did business with. Work great. Was easy to setup installation. Was easy to hook up to the cabin in woods on my place. I would recommend it everybody. I'm not an electrician either, it was easy.

I recently had a inverter go bad on a 2 year old solar system. After seven weeks and numerous phone calls the unit was replaced under at no charge. I asked for some financial help to pay the loan that was taken out to buy the system. Was told NO. If the part was replaced in a normal time frame say 2 weeks I would not ask for financial help but seven weeks is a long time without compensation.

I will not work with them again. They got all the money, we are waiting for TWP, I do not believe that 2 months they did not come to approve the system. Meantime all paid, nothing working.

Worst customer service ever, no feedback on project, missed every date on schedule, poor communication, reckless installation, my system is still not working.

Updated on 8/19/2016: I am a new customer and I can't even get someone to call me back to even see if my system is functioning correctly. I have escalated the issue, but SunPower just keeps ignoring me. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Get a Lawyer and sue them? I just can't get any customer support out of this company. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Check other Solar companies first, they all have better customer service. SunPower is the worst.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

SunPower is one of the world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers, and it’s also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated, and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, SunPower is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: SunPower’s solar cells and modules hold efficiency records for commercial solar technology – meaning they can produce the same amount of power as competitors in a smaller area. Its solar cells and solar modules are also known to be of very high quality. SunPower was the first company to offer homeowners a 25 year guaranteed level of performance on their solar panels or money back for the difference.
  • Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.
  • Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.
  • Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.
  • Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house.
  • Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.
  • Best for homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners, cash and loan consumers and DIY solar users.

Compare Solar Energy Companies