Call toll free
2.01/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

156 SunPower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I'm an engineer and I've always been passionate about ecology. There was an Eco Fair given at the church and I heard about SunPower there. There were two things that sold me on SunPower originally. One reason was that they're American made and the second was that they had the highest efficiency at the time. Enrolling with SunPower was difficult and this had to do with SRECs. The state of New Jersey and some other states have a program where you can get a $100, $200 or whatever the going rate is, when you generate a megawatt of power. It's almost traded on the stock market with SRECs and they were worth $600 originally. The contractor wanted me to do this through them so that they would make a profit, and it was difficult to get them out of the program. But this was really an issue with the SunPower approved installer rather than SunPower itself.

SunPower's hardware is off the charts and it's still state-of-the-art even though it's 10 years old. One cell of one panel is not working but everything else seems to be working fine and I'm generating approximately the same amount of power. Customer service could use some amount of work though. Still, I'm a 100% happy with how my decision to go solar has turned out.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had SunPower install 22 new panels, which replaced 28 old panels that were not working and deemed a fire hazard. I chose SunPower due to the best production and best warranty in the industry. They have a 25 year warranty that covers everything! The installation was seamless and the crew was very professional! Thank you SunPower!

SunPower response

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Tom!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I've leased my panels and ever since the installation I've gotten error codes. Techs have been to my home twice that I know of and still have the error code. Calling the company and not receiving callbacks. My electric bill was $469 after install. NEVER has it been so high. Highly dissatisfied with them. Call Quentin **. You have his number.

SunPower response

Kimberly, I'm sorry to hear that you've had an issue with your system. I'll reach out to the customer service team to share this feedback and hopefully we can get this resolved for you soon.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought my house when the previous house owner sign for the contract which that surprised me making a 70-year old woman signed 20-year contract and then they forced me to keep the contract. Otherwise they will charge the old lady for the whole system and I thought then is fine I could use it but now I'm paying 130 for panels and 180 in summer time for electricity which they are very unprofessional. They should check my use of electricity then to design another system which fits my house. And now I want to cancel the contract because they didn't keep their promises as when they offered and now they just sending me to different departments and make me wait and no result. People please make sure what you signing!! And now I just have to send the contract to my lawyer to review it.

SunPower response

Thank you for alerting us to this problem. We'd be happy to assist you in resolving this. I'll reach out to our customer service team and request that they give you a call to discuss it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Five years ago Freedom Solar of Austin bid, built, and supported my solar system. The Installed SUNPOWER solar panels and inverters. 24 panels and two inverters. Most advanced at the time. I have monitored and the production has been close to the forecasted result. I got an utility rebate and Tax Credit reducing gross cost. My payback got pushed out by a hail storm that took my array away for three months, For roof replacement. I have had three service calls for failed electronics. Freedom was prompt and always professional.

SunPower response

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Edward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We currently have SunPower panels on our roof and we're leasing the panels. The enrollment process with SunPower was very simple, and we've recommended them to other customers.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Photon Brothers installed my SunPower solar system and a I couldn’t be more pleased. Great local company installing the best panels in the world by a US Company! I would recommend both Photon Brothers and SunPower to anyone and everyone.

SunPower response

Thank you for being a SunPower customer, Erick!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We’ve had the worst experience with this company. Our Solar was installed about 3 months ago and has not worked since. Our panels has said error on it since day one. We have called several times and the customer service is horrible. They say, "The manager will give you a callback" and needless to say we’re still waiting for a response. They sent us a bill expecting us to pay for something that doesn’t work. We’re very disappointed. Our electric bill is also very high due to their error. I would never recommend SunPower to anyone because they don’t stand up to what they say they offer.

Barbara,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns and work toward resolution. I appreciate your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

It's already 1 year that I have leased solar panels (monthly $236.11) with SunPower and I'm very disappointed. The company doesn't do anything only collects monthly payments. First, the representative told that if panels have an issue they will fix it, second, if I install 40 panels I will not pay any penny for electricity but later on I got bill from DWP and every time I paid $34 and yesterday I got DWP bill and it was crazy only electricity charge was $950 for 2 months. I called SunPower they said that the system is not generating electricity and they cannot verify how long it's not working. The representative connected me with technical support department but they never answer. I called them 100 times and every time was waiting 15-40 minutes but nobody answers. If anyone knows how can I cancel the contract with them I will be very grateful. It's just a waste of money paying for nothing. Run from that company as far as you can.

SunPower response

Anna, We are very sorry to hear you've had trouble with your SunPower system and with our customer service. We want to make this right. I see you have a case open with us, and I will message the team and request that they resolve this as quickly as possible.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We had our SunPower system turned on in March of 2016 and thought everything was going great. Once or twice we had a monitoring interruption that needed attention, but it was fairly easy to fix. In October of 2017 we had an arc failure that disrupted production and it took over a week before the installer first noticed it, and then SunPower noticed it (I was 9 months pregnant at the time and a little busy with my soon-to-be-arriving firstborn). It was almost a month before SunPower finally issued a work order to the installer to come out and fix the issue. We again had a failure part way into March 2018 that continued all through April before SunPower authorized the installer again to come and look at it, and then again we've been offline now since August with the same issue still plaguing the system.

We've had a promise of a 3rd party inspection and review of the installation - but we've had no contact from any such 3rd party identified by SunPower. Similar to other reviews, I never receive a call back from SunPower or any response to the inquiries, and the amount of time it takes to continue to press on them, all while still paying the lease and now having to pay an electric bill on top of it, is well beyond the savings we were seeing in one year. I want to request termination as SunPower is currently in default of the lease, not me, and want the system removed at their cost as they are not maintaining it to produce results - but I cannot even get someone on the phone to start this discussion.

SunPower response

Stephanie, I'm sorry to hear that you've had a difficult experience with SunPower. I will reach out to the customer service team handling your case to see if we can get this resolved to your satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My solar panels have been down twice. Once for 12 days and now has been down since July 11th. Won't tell me what is wrong... I get more answers and help from Titian who are the installers. Even when they were running it only ran at 70%... After several phone calls and no answers... We asked who to talk to about termination. Was given an email and wrote a 3 page letter given the go ahead to terminate and still won't give me the final papers. Titian is waiting to take them off. When I call SunPower always on hold for a good 45 minutes and can never get answers. When told manager will call they never do.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The first year of my sun power panels was great even had a small return from power company. The last 8 months our panels have not been working. About 2 months later they send someone out and they said 1 power inverter was out and all of them would be replaced once they receive them. Another 2 months this go by and the electric bills and solar bills keep coming. Finally after multiple emails and calls with scripted response that included no real answers we were told that we would be on a payment suppression plan until repaired.

We got an email that the parts were in and someone has been contacted for the repair and we should hear back soon. Still nothing and SunPower keeps billing us. We are talking to an attorney to see how we can get out of this horrible lease trap. I specifically went with a lease so that I would not have to deal with repairs and now I have an even bigger headache. Please go with someone else. Sunrun was only $10 more a month and from what I heard from their users totally with it. Never SunPower and their junk “top of the line” system. Some of the worst customer service I have ever received.

SunPower response
Hi Robert, We are very sorry to hear about this, especially after hearing that your initial experience was positive. We want to make things right, so you can be back to enjoying your SunPower solar system! I will message your customer service team and request that they get back to you as soon as possible with an update.

— Kari Hulac

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Electricity is so expensive. But for the first six years we've been with SunPower, we didn’t have a power bill at all. Now, they’ve increased rates though so we are seeing smaller ones trickle in. We have a larger home, two storeys with two AC units, so the AC runs quite a bit in the summer. We were experiencing about $700 a month in bills before but we haven't had to experience that anymore. I've been 100% satisfied. We also had an excellent experience when we went solar. We dealt with Baker Electric and they handled everything. All of their installers were very knowledgeable and friendly. And they did an extremely clean and fast installation job. We’ve recommended them several times. We even had an open house here where they could come and show people the system.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I like it when SunPower keeps in touch and maybe offers to come out for a reasonable fee to check the system and possibly advise about updates that might be beneficial for us. But we don’t hear from them frequently so we don’t know if there's anything additional that we might benefit from. They used to do it but they've flown in and out with their program of being in touch with the customers.

Sometimes it's like they’ve decided to be in touch and they would do that, which works out fine. But then other times, it's like, “Are you still in business?” We know they are though. They're quite reputable and they're fairly highly regarded in the industry. They are one of the top suppliers but they can do a little bit more to stay in touch with the customer. Other that that, the experience has been first class. And when we repeat the consideration we had for going solar, we come up with the same intent to have the work done. We couldn’t be happier than we are now.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We have had a great experience with our SunPower system which was installed in 2011. It’s over produced the guaranteed production amount each of the seven years it's been on our roof and saved our family over $12,400 in this time. Super happy with our investment.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We went to a fair which had different vendors set up and we contacted this vendor who was out of Surprise, Arizona. And then he came by and he was selling SunPower. At that time, the power companies were pushing going solar and that was the best choice I’ve made in a long time. There was a very good set-up program back then where they supplemented it by 50%. So, my system cost around $50,000 and by the time it was all said and done, I paid a little over $10,000 out of pocket because the power company paid 24,000. And then, I was able to get 30% tax rebate so that gave me another 16,000 back.

I was always pleased with SunPower's customer service and their responses the few times I called them. I’ve only had one problem and that was a couple of years ago when my monitoring system went out. I called SunPower, they sent a technician out and they reinstalled a new monitoring system which didn’t cost me one dime. It was unbelievable. I thought I was gonna have to buy a new system. The product they’re selling is excellent and I’m very happy with it. SunPower has served me very well.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I wanted to save on my utilities and FAFCO Solar put my panels in. I had a little issue last week where it was reading slow. I tried everything inside then I went outside. I reset the breaker and everything came in after that. That aside, I'm satisfied with my reports and everything that I'm getting with SunPower.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have had my SunPower panels for about a year and a half now, got about the last three months now. They have been nonproductive. The worst part is SunPower will NEVER call you back, and if you call them expect to wait at least an hour, then. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you off the phone. I would NEVER recommend buying SunPower panels, I wish I would have leased then at least I could just stop paying... thanks for nothing SunPower!!!

SunPower response

Hi Keith, I apologize for the experience you've had with us. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance.

We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

The panels have never, ever delivered what SunPower promised when we started the lease. They are a monumental waste of money. Year after year, we pay more and more for our 12 month "relevant period". For the last two months the bill is nearly $1600 and we still have two months left of our relevant period. And we do not set our AC very low, either. Worst decision ever.

SunPower response

Hi Dianne, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. I will follow-up with you directly to help address your concerns and I look forward to speaking with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Have had system for several months now and has only worked for about a week. I live in Arizona where there is no shortage of sunshine and am paying utility co. the same amount as I did without solar and have to pay Sunpower for nothing. Techs have been out several times and usually the same day system goes back into fault. Customer service is really no help and very patronizing. I hope they are all proud of the junk they are putting on people's homes. I'M NOT!

Eddie,
I apologize for the experience you've had with us. Please expect a phone call from an Executive Support Specialist to understand your concerns and provide additional assistance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Since the unit was installed 3 months ago it has been in error mode almost non stop. Numerous visits from repair co just to have it error code again shortly after they leave. We now have the biggest electric bill we have ever had because we are paying the electric co and the monthly lease payment to SunPower. Customer service is no help at all and I have searched so that I may contact the corporate office with no luck at all. At times my emails have gone unanswered as well. At this point sending out a repairman AGAIN. I just want it gone and do not know who to contact to make this happen. AND instead of withdrawing the monthly payment indicated on my bill they took out the maximum limit I set in the settings due to the increase in the bill through the years.

Penny,
I apologize for the experience you've had with us. Please expect a phone call from an Executive Support Specialist within the next two days to discuss your concerns and provide additional assistance.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Really good ads poor service, less than 1 yr. 3 of 6 investors are bad, it's now 4 months. Many calls etc. still broke. Try to leave a message they don't get back with you. My guess they are doing bad financially, it just has the signs of a co. going under. Could be wrong?

Hi Ray,
I am sorry to hear of your negative experience. Please expect a phone call to discuss your concerns and provide additional assistance within the next two days.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My system had stop reporting in mid April and I contacted SunPower. I was told that they will monitor it and will let me know, two months passed and no words from Sunpower. I again contacted them in June, and they sent someone out on July 3, 2018 almost a month after, to troubleshoot and was told that the PV supervisor was bad and needs to be replace, then they left. Again no words from Sunpower when they will be out to change the PV supervisor, I had to call yet again and question them of when they will send someone out to change the PV supervisor, was told that it being ordered. 3 weeks later, Aug. 13, 2018, the Tech finally came out to replaced the PV supervisor and were told system will be reporting in 3-5 days.

Again 2 weeks had passed and again I called the support line 3 time waited on hold for almost 1 hr. each time and was dropped and had to call back and waited again. Finally, got a hold of support and again were told that the PV supervisor is not communicating??? REALLY? I had told her that is not PV supervisor because they just changed it and that is the Micro-Inverter is the problems not the PV supervisor. So So sad with these people, I'm about to call my lawyer and have the system taking out and give me my refund.

SunPower response
Hi Dan, I am sorry to hear about your negative experience. Please expect to be contacted by one of our Executive Service Specialists to discuss your concerns and work toward a positive resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I had my SunPower Solar lease installed in July of 2015. Since then my solar system has stopped working 7 times. It has spent more than 10% of the time in a nonproducing state. This latest time has been the most frustrating. It seems like it is a battle to even get someone to come and look at the issue. When I do get a hold of someone via the phone after at least a 20-30 minute wait I am told I am a high priority and that my case will be elevated. What does that result in? Seemingly nothing.

I was told they would suspend billing while my system was not functioning. Hasn't happened yet. I was told an "executive" would call me. That hasn't happened either. I was told they would get back to me in 3 to 5 business days with a status after someone did finally come to look at the system. NOPE! It took 3 weeks of calls and emails before someone would even call to schedule an appointment for a service team to come and look at the system. After the scheduler called it was another week before someone could come out to attempt to diagnose the issue.

The service team essentially couldn't find the problem and "think it might be the inverter"... again. The inverter SunPower provided has been serviced or replaced 4 times now. I really just want this thing off of my roof now. I really suggest against going with a SunPower lease. Some of the installers might be great. Some of the equipment might work just fine. If it doesn't though you seem to be SOL, or at least that's the impression I have.

SunPower response

Garrett, We're very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these issues with your SunPower system. I will reach out to our customer service team to see if they can work to get this resolved.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have called multiple times in the past few years and have always received a canned response. Once you FINALLY get through to someone willing to give you more than that and threaten to sue them, they will listen to you. My panels were out for 3 months, the summer months last year and it took more than 3 months for them to do ANYTHING. They finally sent out a reimbursement check, but it didn't cover all the tier two charges I had to pay for from Edison! My past five years and this is what my net energy has been with 24 panels!: 14.047, 13.732, 12,183, 5757, 8780!!! Yeah, you see the problem!!! Unbelievable!!!

SunPower response

Ryan, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your SunPower system. I will pass your message along to our customer service team to see if they can get this resolved for you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Horrible company, never responds to help issues. Multiple problems in the 2 months we have had panels, also when they do work they do not produce enough power. The first month they produced about $30 worth of power, and I don't think it will be a whole lot better this month. It took over 8 months to install them from when the contract was signed, but I guess I wish they would have never installed them. Have a problem? Good luck getting them to help you, they do not answer questions from their help button on the website and if you call plan on being on hold for a long time. Paying APS more now that I have solar panels, don't quite understand how that works. I would not recommend them or Titan Solar who installed them to my worst enemy!!!

SunPower response

Hello Denise, I see from the notes in our customer service file that as of 8/23 a work order was sent to Titan Solar to resolve the issue. Please keep us posted if you need further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

LA Solar Group advertised to me SunPower manufactured the best panels so I didn't mind to pay the premium to buy the best Equinox x22 system they have at the time, about 1.5 years ago. The system, especially the micro-inverter, could not stand the heat of California in Summer 2018. I contacted them and they blamed it's the glitch in the monitoring system but then they said they need to upgrade the firmware on micro-inverters remotely and it will take a month. I don't think it's the monitoring system glitch, looking at the SCE bill, the system is underperformed. My bill is sky-rocketed, not sure if Sunpower will be responsible for this?

SunPower response

Hello Ron, I'm sorry to hear that there are issues with your SunPower system. Our Power and Product Warranty may qualify you for reimbursement due to underproduction, so I will pass your note on to our customer service team so they can clarify this for you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

It’s aggravating to have eighteen thousand dollars invested in solar panels that don’t work, but totally infuriating to deal with a company that doesn’t take ownership or responsibility for its product. Phone calls are met with scripted responses and supervisors are never available to speak with customers. Sadly, SunPower’s business practice appears to be: DISREGARD. DELAY. DENY. REPEAT. Our solar panels have been non-operational all summer, and even though the glitch was readily identified during a diagnostic service call, SunPower has taken no action to fix the problem. And their response to my inquiries? NOTHING. No phone call. No email. Nothing.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I leased a home solar system through SunPower. I decided to go with SunPower due to their “reputation” for excellent panels and their microinverters. A year and a half later my system production is over 35% less than it was when the system was installed. My solar electric breaker box has had a red malfunction indicator lit off for months. I have made numerous calls to SunPower. They have reset my system but my production has not increased. Poor customer service. DO NOT BUY SUNPOWER and do not support Semper Solaris until they stand by their products and promises.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

When I decided to get solar, I did my research and determined SunPower to have the best of the best solar panels and decided to go through Baker Electric to have them installed. I never thought to research SunPower's customer service. Had I researched that I would have gone with a different panel. In July of 2018 we noticed our production was low, we reached out to SunPower and on 3 different phone calls we were told 3 different things. We were told once that we would hear from someone reference the production decrease in 2-3 days. Then we were told it would be 8-10 days before our issue would be handled, but that I could help troubleshoot the system (from home) over the phone with them. I took off work early and went home to call them, only to be told that we could not troubleshoot over the phone.

I called again and asked to speak with a manager reference a complaint of customer service and was told that they were all "busy" and I would receive a phone call within 24 to 48 hours. I waited a week and received no call back. I called again and asked for another call back and was told the "manager" had reached out to us via email. The only email I received was telling me that microinverters were being ordered and I would receive an email when they came in. I again explained that I would like to speak with a manager reference a complaint and again they were "busy" and I would receive a call in 24-48 hours. Still waiting to speak with a manager.

Another week has passed and I have still yet to hear from anyone. I called again and was informed that the microinverters have been received and now are being sent to the technician. When he receives them I should be hearing from him. Still have yet to speak with a manager and they are all "busy" again. But another request for a phone call has been put in. I doubt I will ever speak to a manager. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

SunPower response

Hi Colby, I apologize for the experience you've had with us and appreciate the opportunity to provide a higher level of service. When you have a moment, please send a private message with your contact details.

I look forward to speaking with you.

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

SunPower is one of the world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers, and it’s also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated, and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, SunPower is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: SunPower’s solar cells and modules hold efficiency records for commercial solar technology – meaning they can produce the same amount of power as competitors in a smaller area. Its solar cells and solar modules are also known to be of very high quality. SunPower was the first company to offer homeowners a 25 year guaranteed level of performance on their solar panels or money back for the difference.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners, cash and loan consumers and DIY solar users.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information