It's that easy Get a Free Quote
3.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

253 SunPower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

To save money and to help the environment. I have a recording studio with 3 AC units and a house with 1. Getting the solar helps me offset the month to month cost of the electricity. My overall experience was great. Very easy to work with and things turned out superb.

Thank you, Jim!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have been very satisfied with my solar. I have no bill or the roll over at the end of the year. Solar saves me money. I would recommend solar to all my family and friends. I am considering installing solar at my office building.

SunPower response

Thank you Arleen! We're so glad you've eliminated your electric bill with solar. In case you're not yet aware: We offer a $100 reward for every person you refer who has an appointment with us. (https://us.sunpower.com/refer-friends-and-family/). And please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any information about our commercial solar solutions. (https://us.sunpower.com/commercial-solar/)

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

When I bought my home in 2016, it came with a SunPower system installed. For the first two years, everything worked beautifully. The SunPower app makes it really easy to see how much energy you are collecting! My electric bills for this home are 1/3 of what they were for the small condo I lived in previously. Amazing! That was until the panels failed. After several weeks of going between SunPower and their repair partner and two failed attempts to fix my original system, SunPower authorized a full warranty replacement. I could not be happier with the end result. The new system is once again collecting significant amounts of solar energy. My electric bills are going back down and aligning to where they were before the failure! I definitely recommend SunPower as a company that stands behind their product.

SunPower response

Thank you, Heather! We're sorry your system experienced downtime but glad everything is working well again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Initially went solar to save on money and take advantage of the expiring tax incentives. Sunpower has been pretty good, though I will say I was a little upset that monitoring wasn’t included because I bought my panels outright. During the sunniest month of the year my inverter took a dive and I didn’t realize it had been malfunctioning for weeks until I got my bill, which was 10x higher than normal. It would have been great if the SunPower system could have sent an email alerting me to something going wrong.

SunPower response

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your feedback. If you still need any assistance regarding your assistance or monitoring, please feel free to email me at Kari.Hulac@SunPower.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

In May of 2018 we noticed a red light on the monitoring System and called SunPower and spent an hour waiting on hold and then resetting the PVS5X and waiting 5 minutes each time to see if they could see my system. After an hour of resetting and waiting while he went away, he finally told me to call the installer.

I called Westhaven Solar who came out to hook their computer up to the PV5S monitor box. They spent 2 hours restarting the system and calling into SunPower for advice. They never were able to access the equipment and had to leave as they could not tell which micro-inverters had a problem. About 2 months later, yup 2 months they called and said 2 micro-inverters were out and they had to get permission from SunPower to get them replaced.

The crew showed up about a month later (Now August) without the right equipment and staff to do the replacement and had to come back a week later. After 2 hours replacing 2 inverters, they only brought 1 ladder, and my roof is steep, they replaced them. Once again they hooked their computer up to the PV5S and could not connect, they called SunPower and they had them shut off the monitor at least 3 times during the next hour and a half. They were never able access the equipment and were not able to commission the 2 new micro-inverters.

I called Westhaven, who called SunPower and SunPower told them they could not access my system, so they had me remove in "plug in" communications box which I did. I called Westhaven and they finally told me that they were at a point where only SunPower could either replace the PVS5X Box or send someone to verify the box was not operating properly. They told me they had a call in to SunPower to check it out...

So we started calling Sunpower. October 24th, 2018 talked to Ralph who said SunPower would bring in a 3rd party to check it out. Ralph said they use Sun Systems and that we should know within 24 hours. On October 25th, 2018 (24 hours later) we talked to Joanna who said she would send an email to Sun Systems to expedite the process. October 29th, 2018 Red light on PV5S unit, called SunPower. They made us cycle the box off for 5 minutes. Then the person proceeded to tell us that someone came out and fixed the problem. Unless they are into breaking and entering they had no access to the PVS5X box in my garage. We told the person that 24th was the day you said you would send a 3rd party person out... They also said that they would have to replace all the microinverters?

November 5th, 2018 call I was told that Sun Systems was instructed by SunPower to come out and replace all the micro inverters, but was waiting for a work order. November 7th, 2018 call Sunpower said they instructed Sun Systems to do the work but had not heard back from them. We call Andrew at Sun Systems who said SunPower sent an order to replace the inverters, then a 2nd email canceling the order, and to make it more confusing sent an new email authorizing the repair without a work order. Andrew made a request that SunPower contact us within 24-48 hours.

November 8th, 2018 Called and talked to Bianca. We asked why they had to replace all the micro-inverters when 2 had been done but the monitoring system has not been working and there was no way to commission the 2 from months ago. She told us that there was only an order for 2 micro-inverters. So I tell her those were replaced in September. It seems every conversation, work order, and conversation was lost...

November 9th, 2018 talked to Randel who was not able get the proper info and passed me Ralph in Technical support who said they don't trust the installers and are ordering monitoring all new microinverters. And should be in no later than November 23rd. They said they were ordered on Nov 8th. They were supposedly ordered on October 24th which would have been the 2 weeks they just quoted me again. So now I still feel that they are just telling me this to get me off the phone. I am seriously thinking about taking them to court.

Hello Lloyd,

I would like to apologize for all of the confusion this has caused. We are currently waiting for the delivery of your micro inverters. Once we have confirmed they are delivered you will be contacted to set up an install date. I will make contact with the dealer today to confirm the estimated delivery date and give you a call by Nov 15th with a more detailed update.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We’ve had our SunPower system for a little bit over a year now and we are super pleased with it! We had recently bought a new house which had air conditioning, a hot tub and a pool. Though we were super excited about all these new features, we also were very aware that we would be using a lot more energy and it would increase our PG&E bills. Having solar made our summer much more enjoyable because we could relax and enjoy! Thanks Sun Power!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I am the happiest PV owner in Hawaii!!! Not only my system makes more energy than any other conventional system out there, but it looks beautiful and it has an unrivaled warranty! To top it off, your local RSM is an amazing representative for your company. Always available, always helpful, always SunPower. After my experience with your company, I wouldn’t chose any other PV company in the world! Aloha SunPower!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

PGE bill was extremely expensive. Called and spoke with the local SunPower dealer (Sun Solar) in Bakersfield. They had a sales representative come out to my house and educated me about solar. The sales representative was very professional and very informative. After researching all the products on the market it was an easy decision to go solar with the best manufacturer installed by the best solar company (Sun Solar). That decision has been by far the best choice I have made for my house. I continue to save around $1500 a year because of this. Great job to the Sun Solar Crew.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Aloha, living in Hawai'i. I'm so very happy to have SunPower solar panels on my roof. With the amount of sun that we have here SunPower solar panels have enabled me to save a tremendous amount of money!!! I've been telling all my friends about it!!! The product and their customer service is 5 star!!! Thank you so much for such a great product and its contribution to our helping save our environment!!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

SunPower response

Mahalo, Kaleo, for choosing SunPower and helping to change how our world is powered!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I contracted with SunPower because a trusted family member worked for the company and sold me on the merits of the company and their panels. For the past nearly 3 years SunPower has consistently UNDER DELIVERED. In 2018 we’ve had over 3 months with no solar power due to a faulty inverter. Absolutely NO communication from the company. Email goes unresponded to. Phone calls all elicit the same response from a foreign accented person stating it's being investigated. The local electric company that installed the panels has bankrupted and the company assigned to our account doesn’t return calls. SunPower has been 100% unresponsive. I absolutely cannot recommend SunPower. We are now seeking legal remedy!

SunPower response

Hi Rosanne, we're sorry for any issue you've been experiencing and we want to help make it right. Please note, that SunSystem Technologies has accepted a work order to complete a full site inspection, and will be reaching out to schedule a site visit.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Nightmare. First we signed the lease agreement in November 2017. Told we would be up and running in January 2018. We got the system turned on July 23, 2018. Then 1 inverter died Sept 23 and now another is not working. Titan stopped out and couldn't fix it. SunPower will get 'back' to us. They didn't even know we were down. I had to call them. I would rather just pay the high bills and have to deal with them.

SunPower response

Hi R Sullivan, we're sorry for any issue you've been experiencing and we want to help make it right. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We went solar to save money! Our experience was great. JP Electric & Solar helped educate us and installation was done in a day and looks great! Our bill is now only a dollar each month! We highly recommend our SunPower installer JP Electric & Solar!

SunPower response

Wow, Anm, it must feel great to pay that electric bill each month. We hope you're doing something fun with the money you're saving. Thank you for choosing SunPower!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We purchased our very expensive 27 panel system in 2015 from an installer in Campbell, CA. We were happy after doing massive amounts of research to choose Sunpower. Yikes, where are we now? Depressed. Losing money every day. Installer won't answer the phone, customer service doesn't have a direct phone number & we are NOWHERE. Buyer beware, Sunpower does not stand behind their warranty. I've already alerted "customer escalation" that my installation company is AWOL, so what's the next step, is it really that hard for a site visit? I cannot in good faith recommend to anyone to buy the Sunpower panel - it is clear that there IS a flaw with the panel. AND a flaw with the system of customer service & direct communication to honor the warranty for consumers.

SunPower response

Hi Colleen, we're sorry to hear you're having difficulty finding an authorized dealer to service your system. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to provide additional assistance.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I decided I wanted solar and did my research and found that I wanted SunPower solar. I called, they came out to my new house that was 4 times as big and 4 states away from my previous home. They decided 30 panels would cover my electrical needs, I bit off because they are the experts. My lease came out to $2400 a year, after 1 year though I get a bill from electric company saying I owe them $1000 more. Now my problem is I called SunPower to discuss this, I told them, "Hey I understand it's not exact science on how to determine how many panels I should need, so owing a little is fine but you guys undersold me by 30%. That's a pretty big margin." My response was my system size was determined by my past usage. I said, "You never ask me for past electric Bills because it was 4 states over and my house was 4 times smaller."

Then I was told that I used too much electricity and I should cut back. I said, "Who are you to tell me how much I can and can't use." I offered to pay for more panels to be added to my lease and they said no. They said they are only going to honor what was promised in the lease. I said, "What about the promise SunPower promised me in building a system to cover my electric needs," they told me goodbye. I would and will not ever recommend SunPower to anyone even someone I hate. I would have never went through them if I knew that their mistake of undersizing my system without compromising on a solution was going to happen. But that knowledge is on whoever is reading this and I think you will be treated better and spend your hard earned money elsewhere and feel better about it.

SunPower response

Thank you for your feedback Nick and I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Our initial experience with SunPower and their contractors was positive. We were encouraged by the transferability of the lease should we sell our home. When that time came it proved to be exasperating for us, our agent and the buyer. To add to the difficulty in executing the transfer, SunPower deducted an additional month's payment despite collecting two months lease payments at close of escrow. When this was brought to their attention they assured us that they would promptly refund the additional payment. Now, nearly 2 months post closing, nothing has been received. Despite repetitive assurances of prompt refund nothing. They are quick to take your money, and it’s pulling eye teeth to get them to correct their error. Buyer beware.

SunPower response

We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

System here in Az puts out more power than expected. Only wish I could increase the output with few more panels. The installer who did work says I would need all new system, with when they built it they would have had insight to be able to increase system as things change.

SunPower response

Hi Michael, That's great to hear that your system is overproducing. If you want to discuss your future options, such as adding panels, you might want to give us a call to make sure every option has been considered. 1-800-SUNPOWER.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I try to support renewable energy in any way that I can and my area was doing a tax rebate offer on solar panels. It was a good offer and SunPower was the only company in the area that was set up and ready to go. To get the panels up, it was very quick. We had to get the Historic District to allow them and SunPower was helpful in that regard as well as dealing with city council to get them allowed. It took a couple of months to get the panels up and I’m satisfied. Their customer service has always been responsive, timely and pleasant.

SunPower response

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for choosing SunPower! You're correct in that there are often local tax incentives you can leverage to go solar, as well as 30 percent federal Investment Tax Credit. We're glad you were able to help the planet like this!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I decided to go solar to save money while also helping the environment. My SunPower system has done exactly that! Produces just like it should if not more. Sun Solar Energy Solutions that installed my system did a great job with the aesthetics and all the installers were very professional. I would recommend SunPower and Sun Solar to anyone.

Thank you Jaime!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I decided to put SunPower on the roof because of its reputation for quality. The Monitoring app is easy to use and the panels look great on my roof. I went with the all black panels and I could not be happier.

SunPower response

Thanks for choosing SunPower, John. Glad to hear you're loving the clean look of our X-Series panels in SunPower® Signature™ Black. They're our most efficient panel, 22.8 percent, and anti-reflective to reduce glare.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We got solar for the fact it would save us money. Due to hot weather, we can run our A/C and other electronics. It is satisfying to know, being in on a limited income, we don’t have to worry how much our electric bill would be. ESMAY are great people. They walked us through the process and were right on. The job they did was very professional, neat and clean. We are proud to say they are the best. They came highly recommended and we continue and recommend them.

SunPower response

Thanks for choosing SunPower! We're glad we're helping you save money on your electric bill.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We knew that solar was a smart investment, but had been sitting on the fence until we were introduced to SunPower solar panels. We are extremely assured in our decision as we know we have best product and warranties available. Everything was easy!!! Plus we had multiple financing options available to choose from!! We love our solar and our SunPower solar panels!

SunPower response

Thanks for changing how our world is powered, Anne!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Our average monthly electric bills were sky high and we were looking for help. I spoke to other Solar companies without success. When I was approached by Chad with Sunsolar he explained everything and made the process simple to understand and the final installation was very clean and professionally installed. The monthly savings has been substantial. Thanks to the crew at Sunsolar for my SunPower solar system.

SunPower response

That's great to hear you no longer have to worry about high electric bills, Robert. Thanks for choosing SunPower!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We decided to go solar in order to save money on our monthly utility bill. The solar system continues to perform beyond our exceptions on a daily basis. I would recommend to anyone thinking about solar to go with a SunPower system.

SunPower response

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Alysia!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We love our system, I was in the solar industry for two years and was always impressed by the quality of product and services provided by SunPower. They do an awesome job at vetting their service providers, this ensures a quality product, price and installation.

SunPower response

Thanks Perry, that's a great vote of confidence to know that someone with solar industry experience chose SunPower.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We choose to go solar with The Solar Quote because of the savings they offered off our PG&E bill. The whole process was very simple and easy. I recommend anyone interested in solar for their home call The Solar Quote.

SunPower response

Thanks Angie! Glad to hear you're saving money with solar.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

With increasing electric bills, adding solar to our home was a no-brainer. AIR SUN SOLAR offered the best long-term solution to our energy needs. Their team of courteous professionals designed and installed the perfect system on our home using SunPower equipment. We now have the freedom to live like we want without being concerned about our electric bills. Since the system was installed in 2012 we have not had to pay any electric bills. In the summer we keep our house at a comfortable 72 degrees with two air-conditioners and a pool. When in the garage I leave the door to the house open and enjoy working in an air conditioned garage. The system has performed flawlessly from day one while we get energy, fresh from the sun delivered daily.

SunPower response

Hi Charles! It's great to hear that your solar is helping you stay cool and comfortable in hot weather and live free of those pesky monthly electric bills. Thanks for choosing SunPower.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was on the care program which I no longer qualified for. Which would bring my utility bills to a average of $250 a month. So I looked into quality home services and decided to go Solar. I leased the system, the install looks great! I received PTO March 2018 and as of today I only have a $14.59 true-up bill.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Got solar to save money. Arizona Solar Concepts was a great company to do the install. Fast and friendly install. Looks great and I didn't have to do anything. I requested a custom install with inverter in the garage and they did it! Would highly recommend.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I went solar in order to save money. I’m an investment minded person, and because SunPower panels degrade the least amount of any panel, I feel very secure with my investment. The warranties also gave me peace of mind that if I have a problem I’m going to be taken care of.

SunPower response

Hi James, Great point about the degradation rate. Many folks don't realize that this means SunPower panels will ultimately make more power over time than conventional panels. Thanks for choosing SunPower!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Best product in the world and hands down the best warranty in the industry. No other solar manufacturers warranty even come close to SunPower's 25/25/25 "bumper to bumper warranty." My SunPower Dealer, Streamline Solar Power did an awesome job, great install from start to finish. Thank you SunPower and Streamline Solar!

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

SunPower is one of the world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers, and it’s also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated, and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, SunPower is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: SunPower’s solar cells and modules hold efficiency records for commercial solar technology – meaning they can produce the same amount of power as competitors in a smaller area. Its solar cells and solar modules are also known to be of very high quality. SunPower was the first company to offer homeowners a 25 year guaranteed level of performance on their solar panels or money back for the difference.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

• Best for: homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers, solar beginners, cash and loan consumers and DIY solar users.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information