3.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

472 SunPower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 24, 2019

Really happy with my decision to install solar. The crew was very attentive and worked quickly to install it properly. I am excited to be contributing to our planet in a more conscious manner. Would highly recommend to any of my friends also looking to switch over to a solar.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I had the solar system installed in my Madera, CA home back in November and love what I’ve been able to save with your products! I’m so grateful I was able to transition to solar and the entire team made everything so easy!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Bruce helped with the activation of solar system today. Bruce arrived early which was a pleasant surprise and did not take much time to fix. Now the energy is being generated and it is reflecting in sun power customer portal.

Original review: April 23, 2019

To harness natural energy. Bruce the tech was awesome. In and out within an hour. Real nice guy. Loved his customer care with my questions. All he needed was my WiFi pwd and he set me up in a breeze. Thanks.

Original review: April 22, 2019

To assist us with our electric home monthly bill. Roger did a great job keeping us on track as we hit a few hurdles along the way. Several issues were taken care of and we rescheduled. Installation went smoothly. Looking forward to the sunny days and generating power.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: April 22, 2019

I just wanted to say what a pleasure it was working with Eddie who help me with some glitches with my electrical system that were coincidental with the hook up of the solar. He was punctual. Friendly, professional, and he took care of my problem. What more could you ask.

Original review: April 22, 2019

To save money as well as for the enviornment. To use the renewable energy and low maintenance, solar energy store is inexpensive as well. Using solar energy can have a positive, indirect effect on the environment when solar energy replaces or reduces the use of other energy sources that have larger effects on the environment.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Decided to go solar to save money in the future due to the rising cost of electric every year, also to lessen my carbon footprint. Installation process was thorough, inspections, permits from all city departments. Installation process took only one day, workers were professional, answered all my questions and cleaned up completely. Went "live" recently all seems to working, will have to see what my electric bill is with the solar activated.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We decided to go solar because it is a great investment! SunPower did a terrific job start to finish. Our sales person was very professional. Throughout the process, our project manager and the installation team kept us updated. They told us what they would be doing along the way and they did exactly what they said they would do. No surprises. The installation is neat, professional, and we are very satisfied. The system seems to be performing beautifully and we are saving money as promised. Highly recommend this company!

Original review: April 20, 2019

Bruce ** was on time, quick, and fixed the problem. He did a terrific job and I am very impressed with his professionalism. We had an issue with the company turning on the the power. Bruce was able to check/resolve the issue promptly.

Original review: April 20, 2019

We needed to augment our current sys that is 12 years old. We had a good experience using the Sun Power panels in our old system, so we wanted to upgrade with Sun Power again. We had a good experience with the initial sales meeting, the installation crew did a very good job, and our Project Mgr was very helpful and quick to respond to all of our questions.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My main reason for installing solar power is the disproportionate cost of electricity in CT! I investigated several solar companies and by far SUNPOWER beat their competition. The proposal was well explained, the offer the best I received and the support team continued to impress. I was informed every step of the way and each step was performed with expertise and completed on time. I am thrilled to see the results this summer!

Original review: April 19, 2019

Bruce was timely, friendly, and very knowledgeable. He is a true believer in SunPower and I appreciate his great attitude and work ethic. The solution was a quick and easy fix and Bruce explained things simply and thoroughly. I would recommend him for any tech help or fixes.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I appreciate the consumer relations your company has. So far the people and technicians sent out have been kind and very helpful. Bruce was a great person and was able to show me all the steps required to do the home monitoring.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Excellent excellent excellent! Truly amazing. Everyone is nice and very helpful (thank you Alberto **)!! Process was fast and easy. I would of gave you guys more stars but I can't lol but keep up the good work! You guys are awesome!!

Original review: April 19, 2019

My family decided to get solar panels on the roof from SunPower to help push against climate change and to save a bit of money. From beginning to end, this process was handled professionally, personably, and as quickly as possible. From the Gordnick brothers who first took us on, to Jacob ** who ably shepherded the process and kept us up to date, to Ryan ** who helped prepare us for the installation, and the installation team itself, I can't think of any way to improve my experience. In fact, everyone involved seemed to be from central casting--good-looking, friendly, young people who are a credit to the company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I love the service provided by SunPower, I think that is why I decided quickly, between the sales and technicians, great service, great communication, very easy to understand, if it is not clear they are looking for another way for you to understand.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I went solar to save the environment to save money as well. Solar is the way to go. Although I don’t like the fact that I have to share my electricity with the neighbors. This is ridiculous. I was not aware of that.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I wanted to help the environment and save some money. By the results I’m getting from my panels I’m on my way to saving money and helping the environment. Thanks SunPower! I’m going to spread the word to all my friends and family.

Original review: April 18, 2019

SunPower made it easy. Came with house and technician was awesome. He showed up in time and got it done. That is all I have to say. I didn’t really have a choice about getting solar. But they made it easy.

Original review: April 17, 2019

So far my experience has been a positive one. My system is up and running and I got a bill from PG&E for zero dollars; first one ever. Jessica did a good job in guiding me through the process and I was given what was agreed upon during the contract.

SunPower response

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Richard!

Original review: April 17, 2019

We needed to save money. We really like the company after starting somewhere else and went with SunPower. We are very happy with everyone that we have dealt with. We will be referring friends. The process was smooth and easy.

Thank you Miki!

Original review: April 17, 2019

My Rep was fast kind knowledgeable and friendly. I could ask for anything more. He was on time. My garage was full of stuff since we just moved to our new home and he took it upon himself to help move things out of the way and he put everything back without my help. That was above and beyond.

SunPower response

Thank you Reginald. Glad you received such great care from us.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Wanted my home to be built well with solar. Sunpower was the obvious choice in having it done properly. The installation and commissioning was easy and smooth. The process of getting billing setup was easy and all the technicians and associates were helpful.

SunPower response

Congrats on going solar, Matt!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2019

System installed during new construction. Know nothing about system. I received tons of calls and emails during construction. Now that it is complete I was to receive email with information regarding system and how to monitor system. I’m still waiting. Just a typical sales company.

Hello Mrs. Motley,

We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2019

If I could leave a minus for stars I would!! This is the WORST solar company EVER!!! We had Az Solar Concepts come out to our house in 2017. Doug told us all about their solar company and how we needed to act right away to get in on APS's buy back program before it went away. This was all true. We had Doug look at our old APS bills to see if we could save with solar. We didn't want to put the panels on the north side of our house just south side. He told us that we would still have a bill with APS but it would be quite a big savings!! Our contract states 81.1% solar energy!! We were up and running at the end of March 2018. Other than two months, from March 2018 to March 2019 we have NOT saved anything!!!! What little we have saved with APS went into our monthly lease payment of $193 plus more. We are spending MORE now with this solar then when we were just with APS!!!

We tried repeatedly to talk to someone at Az Solar Concepts and SunPower and have gotten NOWHERE!!! Az Solar says to talk to SunPower. SunPower says our system seems to be working fine. That can't explain to us why we are not saving anything. We spoke to APS and they said that we are getting only about 40% solar per month if not less!!! Why would Doug talk us into a solar unit that was underpowered? If we had know we were going to pay MORE each month we would have NEVER gone solar let along with this company. DON'T TRUST THEM!!!!! They will do and say anything to sell you a solar system. They have left us no choice so we are going all the way with this complaint. We have now hired an attorney to help us. BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!!

SunPower response

Hello Mr Eglin, I apologize for the experience you've had with us. We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

SunPower Executive Service Team

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 7, 2019

So far, Sunpower panels have been one heck of a nightmare for my family and I. After purchasing solar panels close to two years ago, I continuously called the main number approx 3-4 months after they were installed to advise that I DON’T THINK MY SOLAR IS GENERATING POWER! I was constantly put on the back-burner until I called the main number a week ago and advised that I will be obtaining an Attorney to further investigate my claims. They then sent a crew out the following day who found that there were in FACT 16 solar panels that weren’t working due to faulty inverters. SO, they then sent a crew out to install the new inverters and the way they leave my solar panels....uneven and sloppy! Solar panels are already borderline eyesores on-top of a roof BUT, when they are uneven and not even aligned....geez, poor workmanship and looks ridiculous!

I’ve lost a lot of confidence in Sunpower and the people they employ. I managed to obtain an Attorney for the close to two years I was ignored and still paying full electric bills while struggling to also make the payments of these panels since Sunpower advised they won’t reimburse me for the full amount of time I was being ignored and screwed out of my money. I figured since they will try and fight me on this, I will bring all of my phone bills which show dates and times I called advising of my concerns along with my electric bills which show I was still paying around the same amount I was before having solar panels installed. Anyhow, I think these kind of stories such as mine need to make the headlines to forewarn others about my awful continued experience to help prevent others from going through what my family and I have been through.

SunPower response
Hello Derek, I apologize for the experience you've had with us. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Thank you!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I decided to put up solar to save cost and do something for our planet. Working with hooked on solar and especially Nicole was a real pleasure. They made the whole process easy and transparent. We hit a small snag with the permitting process [The City of Oakland is not always the most responsive] and Hooked on Solar did everything they could to fix our problem. installation was timely and efficient. They really went above and beyond the call and I am a super happy customer.

SunPower response

Thank you Christian, for helping to change how our world is powered!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2019

Purchased a Sunpower Solar panel system for $38,000.00 in which the microinverters began to fail. Received an outrageous electrical bill from Southern California Edison due to the failure of our solar panel system. Spoke with a representative from Sunpower that was located in the Philippines. Ms. Jermaine ** is the case manager for my complaint and was told this would be resolved. However three months later nothing has been resolved and had to pay out of pocket to cover the electrical bill or my electricity would be turned off.

After speaking with Ms. ** on numerous occasions she advised me that Sunpower had no obligation to remedy the situation and with veil threats advised she would not work on my case anymore. When requested to speak with another representative she advised there was no other person to speak with. I am currently looking to contact Corporate Headquarters but just seem to get recordings and when I select customer service option always transferred back to the Philippines call center. What great customer experience and satisfaction this company provides.

SunPower response
Hello Mrs Mendez, I would to thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. It is my understanding that you have spoken with Ms.Jermaine and there has been resolution. Providing excellent customer service is our main goal. This has provided an opportunity to for us to learn from as well. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Thank you again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 25, 2019

Our 16 panel solar system went online in June 2016. Within the first 18 months 5 microinverters failed and had to be replaced. Finally all 16 microinverters had to be replaced. In December of 2018 the Power Monitor/Manager on the side of the house failed. We cannot tell if all our panels are producing. SunPower tells us they don't make the monitor and will not replace it. What happened to the 25 year complete system warranty that is supposed to be so unique to this company?

SunPower response

Hello Jennie, We're sorry to hear that your expectations have not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

The world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers is also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, this company is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: The company offers SunPower Equinox for homes, SunPower Helix for commercial customers and SunPower Oasis for solar plants. The SunPower solar panel line includes the X-Series with 22.7 percent efficiency, E-Series with 20 percent efficiency and P-Series with 17 percent efficiency. The panels are available in 320–470 watts.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house. SunPower also manufactures flexible solar panels that can be used outdoors, on vehicles or to power small devices in case of power outage or emergency.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information