Call toll free
3.96/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide.

SunPower Video
View More View More

SunPower Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I went online and researched solar companies acting like local distributors. SunPower came up and I researched the company and liked what I saw. They came to my house and they did a demonstration. I had another company come to my house but their demonstration was less than pathetic. So, I had SunPower came over first and I kinda used them as my baseline to weight all the other companies. I was most pleased with their demonstration and their product quality compared to anybody else, so I signed up. I kinda had to do a little more legwork as far as keeping in contact with the project progress but as far as signing paperwork and getting all the financing and everything else completed, that was fairly easy.

When they signed me up, they said that they were gonna be getting me some cash back for signing up and some other incentives. But it seemed like once it was installed, they dragged their feet a little bit on making it right with those incentives. It didn't leave a bad taste on my mouth because I know how business is and things picked up and people get busy or they're sick but it seemed kind of strange that once they had gotten their part, they dragged their feet on getting me my part. I just kept everything to a minimum as far as making contacts with them for any reason, because I haven't had any real issues yet.

I'm fairly satisfied with going solar, so far. I thought the period of production throughout the day would be for a longer period of time like from literally, sun up to sun down, but it seems to be pretty stationery between 7:00 and 5:00 during the day. So I was hoping that it would produce a little longer during the day. I got my first bill from the power company and it was $4. We've had some gloomy days and some really sunny days so it hasn't been consistent enough to tell us whether or not it's gonna be enough for the summertime usage. I don't have a huge power bill as of right now, but again the energy usage isn't as high as it will be in the coming months. As of right now, I got the best thing that's out there being offered.

SunPower response

Thanks for your feedback Adam! That's great that you had such a low electric bill, and yes, as the hours of sunlight increase, so will your solar production. Please reach out if you need further assistance on anything else.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I was thinking about getting solar energy services and a salesman from SunPower knocked on the front door. He was a really nice guy and I ended up signing up with them. But he told me a lot of misinformation and lied to me about my electric bill. It was kind of irritating as he said that I was not gonna pay any electric bill but on my first month, I had a $200 electric bill and a $220 solar panel bill.

$200 is what my electric bill average is in the summertime running the AC all day and I even added six more panels to make sure that I was more than covering my average monthly electric bill. So it was kind of a slap in the face when the salesman I'm covering 120% of my electric bill, but in the end I still had to pay $200 to Valley Electric for the last two months. If he told me that I was still gonna have an electric bill, I could’ve gone to the front side of the house and added panels there, too. I also called Valley Electric and they bluntly said that there’s no way I can put enough solar panels on my house to never have an electric bill. I’ve been fighting with the people who installed the panels, too.

So it was a very bad experience. But I don’t necessarily think that it was SunPower that caused the problem. The issue was with their salesman and installers. In fact, enrolling with SunPower was fairly easy and I have no problem with the company itself. But they should talk to their salesman and tell him to stop giving misinformation.

SunPower response

Hello Jonathan, We're sorry to hear you've had some difficulties since going solar. I see you have a case number with us, and I'll share this feedback with our team to see if they can assist you better.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

A salesperson from SunPower talked to me and showed me how the system would make money according to the calculations, but I wasn’t super concerned about the economics. I bought the panels for environmental reasons. We had to coordinate the timing of the installation with the building of the house and it went well. However, the inverter stopped working and it took us a little bit of time to get it replaced. There was one hiccup that we had to fight with. They said they were gonna replace it, but then nothing happened. They had forgotten about it a little bit and there had to be a reminder. We followed up and then they replaced the inverter.

I've seen the bill and I checked the production to see that nothing crazy was happening, and the bill was still consistent. It looks like it hasn’t really fallen off. The degradation of SunPower’s panels aren’t great and that has proven out with the production. But although I haven't calculated the money savings versus the cost, the system has definitely produced what I was hoping for and I’ve been happy with it. I've had their app for a while and I really like the tools they have to report. It's impressive. And the monthly reports they send are fit too. I've been very satisfied with going solar. It has been really great. We’ve had SunPower for five years and we get good service. I’ve told many people that SunPower is great.

SunPower response

Thank you, William, for helping to change how our world is powered. Sorry to hear you had a technical issue but glad we got everything working well for you now.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I work at a University and we were using SunPower's commercial services. They seemed trustworthy. When I was looking at solar, there were issues like tree shading and availability of power conduits and SunPower was able to come up with a solution better than the other companies. I'm 100% satisfied going solar but there are things that could have been done better. The process of negotiating the rate was kinda like buying a used car. There was like a lot more negotiation than I thought was necessary. I thought it was just kind of a fixed price thing, but it seemed like it was more like a negotiation with the salesperson saying he had to call his boss.

Also, I'm using more power than I'm producing from solar, so I should have gotten a bigger system and the interface could be better online. It's not very user-friendly, like when I wanna see how much power I would be using for the year and how much they're contracted to provide for me, it's not super clear. It would be nice if it combines what power I'm using from the power company versus what power I'm using from the solar because I have to pay for whatever power I use in excess of my solar. Then, once in a while, the router or some electronic component becomes disconnected. Sometimes it happens, and then, I have to kind of troubleshoot it and it's a little bit tricky. I've called customer service before about it. Other than those, it's a good deal.

SunPower response

Hi Michael, Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out by email if you need any help with your system, and we'll get you in touch with our support team. You can reach me directly at Kari.Hulac@SunPower.com.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I thought getting solar energy services was the right thing to do. It was for environmental reasons and ultimately, in the long term, it could save money. We’ve had some bumps along the way, but now, I’m satisfied. Enrolling with them was straightforward. It was a complex process just because of permits and state regs, but they did everything and just told me the paper I have to sign. So, it was a smooth process. My interaction with the customer service team was positive, even during the appointment.

I had some technical issues. We upgraded the array. We added another five panels and after that, we had intermittent generation which took about six or eight months to fix, and resulted in months where I went without any generation. We got an arc fault detected on the inverter. I called their support team and they were saying it was sporadic. I was having to reset the inverter almost every day. It would seem to stabilize and then I would forget about it. Then I’d go look again and realize I haven’t been generating any power for months. It took an inordinate amount of time to fix the problem. So, it finally got escalated to the response guy who talked to me about the challenge. They sent their partner out a couple of times who eventually found a badly made connector which had actually been causing an arc. He remade all the connectors and from then it was fine.

The monitoring system should send an alert rather than relying on the consumer having to log in every day which is what I do. I have an app on my phone, but I shouldn’t need to login to check generation. I would expect that they’re monitoring the system. They ought to be able to send an alert to the user to say, “Hey, your array has gone out,” and then you can deal with it. Rather than doing as I did which I’d be traveling and whenever I traveled, the day I left home was the day that the thing would fail. And that would happen two or three times that way. SunPower wrote me a check for about half of the power that I didn’t generate, that I had to buy then from PG&E. It was a bit of a painful process. But in the end, they came through and made it good. So far, I’m very happy with what it’s doing and that they’re generating power. I would recommend them.

SunPower response

Thank you, Andrew, for this well-thought-out feedback. While it's unfortunate that you ended up being among a small number of customers with this technical issue, I'm glad that we compensated you to your satisfaction, and we appreciate this vote of confidence!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

The planning and installation of our system went off without a hitch. Unfortunately, we have had 2 issues with our system. The first problem occurred in June, 2018. It took over a month to get someone out to take a look at the problem and another two months to get it repaired. We generated no solar power from June until October of 2018. The second problem occurred in June, 2019. I notified Sunpower of the problem and waited about two weeks before I received an email from them notifying me of the problem. They sent me some info to resolve the issue which was identical to what I had already read online and tried with their phone service person. We've been trading calls and emails since. I just received an email scheduling a service call on November 13. Their service is absolutely unacceptable. I'd remove the system in a minute if I didn't have a 16 years left on a 20 year lease.

SunPower response

Hello Gabrielle, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I just cancel my entire house purchase because builder representative express direct threat and verbal ultimatum extortion that I either buy house with SunPower or they wouldn't sell me my house already in escrow. SunPower fail to inform me and provide with mandatory regulatory disclosure Solar Consumer Protection rights that been published in January 2019 following ABA 171 approval.

This document clearly indicate that consumer have the rights to chose his solar panels and company. SolarPower fail to disclose their panel price break down and disclosed kickback they pay to builder for granting unfair, unjust exclusivity. Furthermore I study company product and realized that they installing less productive X series panels with 315 KWH instead of their newest much more efficient A series panel with 400 KWH. I spoke with other builders who inform me that as customer I am not mandated to have solar if their cost exceeding alleged unverified benefits. In my case my current $60 monthly PGE bill doesnt justify their monthly lease charge of $100 plus.

SunPower engaged in questionable corrupt practice in gross violation of consumer protection rights depriving me of my unbiased selection of panel type and vendor selection not mention failure to disclose rights and their obligations. Looks like class action claim is way over due considering volume of complains. Needless to say I cancel my escrow and purchase of new house after SunPower reject and void my signed under duress contract imposed on me against my free will.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

A friend of mine had SunPower installed and he recommended it. It seems to be working fine. I have 41 panels. Right now, it’s the time where nothing is on. There's no air conditioner, no heat, so it’s generating quite a bit of power. I talked to Samson once since we had the panels installed, and he took care of everything right away. I’ve already recommended SunPower to people.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

We went through Stellar Solar, who’s a SunPower dealer. My son had their service and told me that their salesman was awesome, and that after it in two years, he would still answer calls and help him with anything, and that interested me. So, I called them. And while I had already talked to 3 or 4 other different companies and got bids, SunPower has better equipment and it was even cheaper than the other companies. I enrolled with them and it was very simple. They handled everything and all I had to do was to sign paperwork. The customer service representatives were very courteous and we had excellent interactions.

Now, we don’t have to worry about running the air conditioner more or how much we have to pay SDG&E. I'm very satisfied in my decision to go solar and I would tell other people to go with SunPower as well. In fact, I’ve already signed up two of my friends with SunPower. One of them will be having the installation this week while the other one is just waiting for their homeowner association to give them the okay.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

The electric bill was $400 a month and to save money, I had gotten interested in solar energy services. Joe, who came to the house, was nice and helpful. And the guys that came to do the installation were very professional. But I'm pissed off with what PSE&G is charging me! I shouldn't be getting those $40 bills. I should be getting $2.30 at the peak. They're charging me for the service and for the delivery. They end up double charging me. People in PSE&G's area have to be careful because there's really not a lot of savings. The website is perfect though. I go on, hit SunPower and it automatically logs me in. It goes to my portal and tells me what's going on. And as far as the solar goes, I'm 100% satisfied. It is working perfectly.

SunPower expert review by Zachary Shahan

The world’s leading solar cell and solar module manufacturers is also a leading solar installer. It was one of the first solar companies to become vertically integrated and was the first U.S. company focused on the home solar market to do so. Aside from residential solar installations, this company is routinely one of the top commercial solar panel installers in the United States.

• High-efficiency and reliable products: The company offers SunPower Equinox for homes, SunPower Helix for commercial customers and SunPower Oasis for solar plants. The SunPower solar panel line includes the X-Series with 22.7 percent efficiency, E-Series with 20 percent efficiency and P-Series with 17 percent efficiency. The panels are available in 320–470 watts.

• Electric vehicle partnerships: You can sometimes get a special deal on your solar power system and/or electric vehicle if you buy a SunPower system and certain electric vehicles at the same time.

• Objective customer guidance: SunPower objectively helps you choose the best financing option for your situation (solar leasing, a solar loan, or straight cash), handles permitting paperwork, tax incentive applications, testing, monitoring and maintenance.

• Availability: SunPower’s leasing option is available only in select states (solar leasing, in general, is only legal in select states), but its home solar loan option is available across the country.

• Market: SunPower uses its own solar panels, keeping both its manufacturing and distribution branches in-house. SunPower also manufactures flexible solar panels that can be used outdoors, on vehicles or to power small devices in case of power outage or emergency.

• Price: SunPower’s high-quality solar panels come at a cost that fits that quality. SunPower offers financing options for consumers who prefer to pay in installments.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

SunPower Company Information