Get Started

4.6/5 (417 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

Top SunPower Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… Our experience enrolling was the best. Everybody that showed up from Ambrose Solar was knowledgeable and friendly. They said when they were gonna do it and they did exactly what...

Verified

… The enrollment was easy. The company that was installing it did all the legwork… The customer service reps explained everything and how everything went. Everything ran smoothly ...

What is SunPower?

SunPower is a solar energy company. It offers a full line of residential and commercial solutions to help you receive the maximum benefit of renewable solar energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Solar panels arrive on-site with factory-integrated microinverters that allow for faster installation. Local SunPower solar dealers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower solar panels and equipment

SunPower's solar panels are durable and efficient. The panels use Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that adds strength and resists corrosion, outlasting conventional cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels deliver up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations, so they’re able to convert more sunlight into electricity.
    • X-Series: Built with anti-reflective glass that reduces glare, X-Series panels deliver up to 22.7% efficiency and are an excellent option when available roof space is limited.
    • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver up to 20% efficiency and are available in wattages of 320, 327 and 435. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels, according to SunPower.
    • P-Series: Specifically designed for large commercial projects, these panels are durable and consistently achieve high results in reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in cases of row-to-row shading. P-Series panels deliver up to 19% efficiency over the first 25 years of operation and are available in a range of 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower mounting systems

SunPower designs its own mounting solutions, which are compatible with its panels and have an emphasis on superior looks and ease of installation.

• InvisiMount: SunPower’s rail-based mounting system, with an all-black design, is adapted for most roof slopes and types. InvisiMount parts are 70% less visible than other comparable mounting systems.
    • OneRoof: A roof-integrated solar mounting solution for new homes, OneRoof is both a high-quality metal roof product and a solar mounting system. It integrates flush with the roof while providing enough air circulation to ensure peak performance from the panels.

SunPower cost

SunPower solar energy systems typically cost between $3.20 and $4.50 per watt. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower can cost up to $30,000 or more before incentives.

With SunPower, you can purchase a residential system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. The company offers solar financing options with $0 down for eligible homeowners. Purchasing allows you to take advantage of tax credits and other incentives.

For the most accurate SunPower solar panel prices, get a quote online or contact an authorized SunPower dealer.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. In addition to solar panels, the warranty also covers microinverters and racking. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs.

SunPower also covers monitoring technology for 10 years. The Complete Confidence Warranty covers shipping, parts and labor from a certified installation contractor.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
    SunPower’s solar panels are manufactured in the United States, Mexico, the Philippines and Malaysia.
    Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
    Yes. The mySunPower mobile app lets customers view real-time energy production and usage (when usage meters are compatible) and provides historical data to estimate energy savings.
    What does the SunPower app do?
    SunPower’s app lets customers monitor how much energy their solar energy system is producing, their consumption and any system issues, such as Wi-Fi connectivity issues.
    Does SunPower provide energy storage?
    Yes, SunPower provides energy storage to both residential and commercial customers. The Helix battery storage system lets customers manage their energy use and increase savings. Helix storage works with commercial solar panels or independently to maximize energy savings by further reducing energy costs.

The company's new residential storage offering, SunPower SunVault, is a sleek solution that provides homeowners with peace of mind when there is a power outage. However, it is currently available only in select markets.

Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
    You can buy SunPower solar panels directly from SunPower or through authorized SunPower dealer partners.

Is SunPower a good company?

We think SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. The solar energy company offers an excellent and comprehensive line of solar products and services to its customers, including state-of-the-art solar panels and cells backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I needed to redo my roof and I was very pleased to know that SunPower's installers also did that. So, I put on a new roof on my house on my garage. I also wanted to go solar mainly because I do have that in my home in Sarasota County, Florida and it's doing so well. I was looking to see if I could get that done in my home here and I was very pleased that I did. I researched and I settled with Kamtech Solar. Everything went very smoothly. Aside from that, this is my third bill from Con Edison and I'm very pleased with the reduction.

But I'm not pleased that the techs were supposed to come and cover up some ugly green wire that connected the Con Ed box to the solar junction right outside the house under the awning and they never came and covered that. I called and every time they were saying somebody was going to come and do it, but nobody came to do it. It's still ugly. When I walk into my house, I see these green wires stapled with silver staples and they're running alongside the foyer of the house going down to connect to the water trap and alongside my wall. Thank God my draperies are covering it but if I was supposed to change those draperies, I would have a problem.

Once our system passed inspection and everything was up and running, I expected SunPower to keep their word and come and cover these wires. But I'm trying to overlook that because the job was done, it passed inspection, and that's the important thing. When the young man who owns the company came to look at work that they have done, he agreed that some changes needed to be made and they needed to fix certain things. And they did, with the exception of that. I also mentioned to him that this billing process was not up to par in my book as an accountant. I told him that they need to get someone that is more capable of outlining and breaking down their billing so people would see what they're paying for and that's something he agreed with as well

He wanted to hire me, but I'm not into that right now. I was giving him pointers for someone else. As a professional, I can overlook those things because I know what I'm paying for. He said he would think about it, but then I quickly realized that it's a young company and you need to give people a chance to make improvements. And I hope they have done that. Aside from that, I wanted the salesman that worked with me to send that information to my insurance company. You can do it from one computer to another, but that could not be done with SunPower and that was a bit disappointing. I have to now try to capture pictures of what was done to send to my insurance company for them to adjust my insurance.

But the salesman was very nice. He said he'd take it to his boss and he did. I was very pleased that the boss took time to come to my home, sit with me, and look around and see the work that his people had done and was able to not be upset, but take notes on things that I was telling him to better improve his business.

So far, with the heavy rains we had, my husband went up on the roof and everything was intact. My neighbors were also talking to me about my solar and I let them know that everything that SunPower had done is fine. As far as the job itself, the first time II told them that it was not going to pass inspection and the guy looked at me as if asking what did I know. But it did not pass inspection and he had to reduce certain things. It passed inspection after that. Initially, I wanted to go with this company simply because of the repertoire that they had. I went online and I looked at work that they have done and I was very pleased. I knew that they didn't have enough manpower to do what they needed to do, so things took longer than it should. But they got done.

All in all, I would totally recommend SunPower because I was very impressed at a young company take on something like this and did very well. Plus, I wanted to deal with one company who can do my roof and do my solar. I didn't want to go talk to Jack at what Jim has done and the name game and who is blaming who. I wanted a company who can handle the package, and they were able to do that. They had an A-class team working with me and they didn't mind a woman looking at what they were doing and cleaning up behind them. They told me they could clean up but I said I could do it. So, they were cleaning, I was cleaning, and they said they loved it. I fed them, too. There's nothing like having a meeting and you have something to feed your workers. So, I treated them like I did my workers at the office and they loved it.

SunPower response

We are so glad to read about your experience with our installers, and your satisfaction with our product, Kristine. Your review and feedback are sincerely appreciated, and we hope you reach out anytime you need help or have a question. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I went with Trinity Heating & Air Conditioning and they did SunPower. At the time, the efficiency of the panels were 4% and I was able to put up 6,000 kilowatts. Then, we waited until four years later, and that time, the legislature allowed up to 12,000 and at that point, EmPower Solar out on Long Island was in business. Trinity Heating & Air Conditioning wouldn't come back to the city from Jersey and they said it was too much of a trip. So, they wouldn't do it. So, our engineers at Con Edison sent me to EmPower out on Long Island and they use SunPower. I could have gotten a cheaper panel, a Chinese panel, but we decided to go with your top of the line and this is what we did.

Those panels were 8% efficient and now, the panels have gotten to the point where the unit cost was $8 a kilowatt. Now, we're down to, 4.5 and the efficiency has gone up to 22%. That has allowed me to do something that I never thought I would do. On our block here on 69th Avenue, we have a couple of brownstones that we own and on two of the two family brownstones, we put in solar panels and we were able to divide up the panels. 11 for the first floor and 11 for the second floor. And that gives my tenants 100% of their heating in the winter and 100% of their air conditioning in the summer. So, they pay the flat $18.62 a month, winter and summer.

My units are on all the time. They are set at 72, day and night in the wintertime, and in the summer, they're set for 68. And it takes 100% of our cooling and heating needs. The solar panels work, but they have to be attached to a heat pump system. So, we have a local installer of Mitsubishi air handler, so we have three handlers downstairs and three upstairs in all of our houses. And that takes care of 100% of our cooling and heating needs. So, I can't say enough about it. I'm waiting for the next generation of panels to come out and I'm hoping within my lifetime to see these things go from 22% up to 25, then 30%, and it will.

The average consumer who's going to be a homeowner should look upon this the same way that they look on buying a house, that is you're looking for the long haul. You're not looking for a quick fix because this is a significant investment. You're talking about spending a minimum of 15,000 for each floor on the costs after the rebates. In my two investment properties on the block here two years ago, I've gone through two complete cycles and they work marvelously. I'll also be happy to tell people about my experience with SunPower and I would do it all over again. In fact, I probably will on the remaining three homes that I have on the block that do not have solar on the roof. I will do that over the next three years or so, so I get away totally from fossil fuel and go 100% with sun.

SunPower response

Paul, we are delighted to read your solar savings story! It truly is remarkable how much you can save by going solar and we are so happy to see how satisfied you are with our products and teams. Congratulations on the savings and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

The actual solar part was great, except for the fact that after it was installed, I was told that the system will not support the air conditioner starting. I wasn't happy about that. It's all because it is a 120-volt system and an air conditioner requires a full 240 or a higher amount of voltage to kickstart. So the starting part is not going to happen with this system on the batteries alone. That's why my bill is still about $100, but my PG&E bill is not $300 or $400 like it would be since I've been running the AC all summer long.

The hook-up of the system was difficult. The installation crew had to make several trips and they needed the inspection, and the inspection found that they needed a ground wire. So then, that had to be installed. During the entire process, they changed their mind about placement. So then, more holes were dug for conduit boxes, and during that process, my septic system stopped working. It started overflowing into my backyard. I thought it was two separate events, but it wasn't. It had something to do with the guys fiddling around with the boxes and a fuse trip. One little tiny fuse needed to be turned back on and because it wasn't turned on, my septic system didn't work for months.

When I called the company, they came out and said, "Well, we don't understand what's wrong. Everything's working fine." Then they said, "Well, whatever the solar people did, they need to fix it." So the solar people came back two weeks later and they looked around and said, "Well, they can't find anything wrong with anything. Everything's fine." A week or so later, I had to call the septic guy back, and then he found that there was a fuse that has been tripped and it just needed to be reset. Then my septic system started working again. So that part wasn't cool.

Since I'm new to all this and I'm totally ignorant to the financing and the installation, I did not understand and fully appreciate the fact that I have to pay one-quarter of the full amount within the first 18 months or I will be charged an extra $100 a month for the remainder of the loan. That part wasn't fully explained. It's like an extra little caveat of the financing part. So once I understood that, it was great, because now, I know I have to pay $12,000 before September 2022 or an extra $100 is going to be tacked on to my financing as a fee alone for the remainder of the loan. So, $47,000 is going to turn into $70,000 very fast.

I have the $244 payment each month, and I thought that goes towards the loan. But I found out that the $244 a month is only the interest. If I want to pay towards the payment of the loan, I have to make that payment separate. So now, I'm trying to pay $1,244. This month has been kind of hard, so I haven't done it because I had a bunch of vet bills. So there was my solar $1,000 payment for this month. But as long as I keep paying it off like this or if I can pay $1,200 a month for the next four years, it'll get paid off.

The people from SunPower had to make a lot of trips back and forth. Every couple of weeks, it was, "Hi, we're from SunPower. We just need to check something." Then the next week, "Hi, I'm the supervisor," and then, "Hi, I'm the project manager." I was like, "Hi. When are you guys are just gonna do it?" But if I was to do it again, I would stick with SunPower because it's still the highest rated company and it's got the best reviews.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I looked at various rating programs and technical data and it became evident that SunPower seemed to have pretty much the best solar panels available as far as watts per panel. It's probably 100 watts per panel more than it used to be five years ago. We also like the idea of a single supplier providing all the parts. I'm a retired engineer, so I kinda understand if you have parts from different manufacturers coming together, there are always potential problems and finger pointing. Based on the technical information I saw in a packet, we could get a total composite solution from SunPower and that was kind of the deciding factor.

The physical installation went pretty good with our contractor, Sheffield Solar. But it was a little bit complex because we have a shop in a house and we wanted the panels on the shop because of greater sun availability. A part of it was PG&E seemed to be very unresponsive as far as getting the approval. We viewed the PUC and the PG&E articles and they mentioned a 30-day approval cycle. But we were over 90 days once the physical installation was complete before we finally got authorization from PG&E to connect the system. Our contactor responded to all their requests, but they kept asking questions that should have been asked for quite a while.

With the equipment and the overall app overview, we're very happy. It's just the lack of response from SunPower's customer service phone line we have issues with. The initial customer service contact for SunPower is a pity. It's about as low as you can get. We couldn't get any information from the app and I kept telling them our Wi-Fi has been up and we have other devices that we have not had a problem with but they kept saying it was a Wi-Fi problem. The also said they would check into it and give us information either via mail or a phone call. But we never did hear anything back from the three different customer service reps. We finally contacted their local contractor and when he was contacting the initial customer service phone number, he had the same response that we did. But he knew who he had to get ahold of. He went through and got through the the second or third level of technical experts to get the problem solved.

Our contractor has the ability to see what's going on with the panels and a little bit more real-time data but I wish I had a little bit more technical visibility of how the panels are doing, what is the actual current we're getting, etcetera. I'm a little bit unhappy with the lack of technical visibility we have with what's going on with our system. That was one of the issues I sent an email to customer service making a request. I'd like to have something as basic as a revision level for the SunPower app because there's no way to know what level I've got. They said they will forward it to their people and give me some feedback. Again, I never heard anything about that. It's a simple request and with most of the other applications, you can see what revision level you have online.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

We received the initial quote from the rep of Cosmic Solar and it was perfect. My wife and I talked about it over the evening and then I got back to him the following day saying to do it. He drew up the numbers again and all of a sudden, the price increased, to which I was not thrilled. He couldn't figure out what was going on. I told him that I wanted the exact quote he gave me before. Come to find out, SunPower changed their pricing overnight and he could no longer honor the initial pricing that was quoted to us the night before because it was the end of the month, then the new month started, and they changed who their lender was. There were now a bunch of lender fees that were incorporated into the loan which why the cost jumped and the APR was gonna be different for the financing.

We went back and forth several different times. We ended up coming to an agreement that we did the increased price for the same exact system, with a lower APR. Once we were locked in with that, we never heard from him again. He told us he would show up on the first day when the installation was, and already told us when the installation about the time frame that it was going to occur. He said it was gonna be installed by only 60 days out. Then I reached out to Cosmic Solar directly to their front office. It had been about 30 days at that point and I haven’t heard from anybody. I asked them what's going on with our install.

All of a sudden, one day, I got a phone call from an electrician saying he's on his way to do the panel upgrade. I asked him who he was. He said that Cosmic Solar was supposed to reach out to me and tell me that he was coming. So, no communication from Cosmic Solar at all. He showed up and did the panel upgrade. I got more information from him than anybody else on the entire project. I reached out again to Cosmic Solar and asked when the install date would be as it was supposed to be done 30 days ago. They said I was scheduled for two weeks from that day. I also asked if there was anyone gonna tell me that anyone was coming. Then they said they have an opening the following week and they could fit me in that time and I said okay. So, the rep that told us that he was gonna be here on the first day of the installation never showed up and we hadn't heard from him at all.

During the discussion of the whole thing, my wife was joking around about wanting to change the tiles on our roof because there was moss in them. He said he'd just power wash them for us. My wife asked how much it would cost to do that. He said not to worry about it and if that would make or break the deal, he would find a way to get it done. When I found out the installation was gonna occur, I emailed Cosmic Solar and asked if they would still power wash the roof ahead of time. They said they don't do that due to liability and it could break the tiles. I told them that their rep said it was gonna get done. They said it was not written in our contract. I felt that was again bad business practice.

I absolutely love the system it's producing. I like being able to monitor it and see exactly what's going on with it. I also love the monthly update with how much energy is being produced. I would just never use that salesperson again. In fact, the email that I sent to Cosmic Solar regarding the business practices was forwarded to him. He sent a scathing email back to me, he didn't like that I called him a liar. But I truly felt like he was that. He said something that was gonna happen, but couldn't follow through with it. No contact, didn't show up when he said he would, and the price changing overnight. I was not thrilled with it. I would not recommend Cosmic Solar. But I would recommend the system to other people.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Enrollment was all virtual over the phone since COVID, but the experience overall was good. The process went very well on the installation. I no longer own the house with the SunPower, but I was very happy with it. It was a good product. They have smaller, more efficient panels and I didn’t have to have as many.

SunPower response

Donald, it is a delight to read about your wonderful experience with enrollment, the installation, and your panels. We appreciate the review and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

The rep was so nice to me. Very informative. He was such a nice man and explained everything. He told me what the process was. And he told me he would email me all the plans and the rates as far as my payment, and what my options were as far as financing, which I appreciated. The actual design was different than what they put on my house. The installer looked at me and said, "You know what? It will be better this way." And he changed it a bit. I said, "Yeah! That is so much better." "Aesthetically?" "Yes!" He reduced the panels on the front and put it more on the back, which I was so happy with. Because I don't want all this stuff on the front my house. I have a ranch house, so it would have been a lot of panels on the front. I'm so appreciative of that. I've already told others, "Go with this company. This is the company. Go!" And they said okay. SunPower is a 10 out of 10. I'm in default, so I don't even get a bill. And gas is crazy. So, I’m so glad I did this.

SunPower response

Hi, we are overwhelmed with joy to see that you love your panels and to hear of your savings. We truly appreciate your feedback. It is nice to hear that you had a great experience with the sales team, and they provided excellent support. It's always a pleasure to provide our customers with the best service possible. If you have any needs in the future, please reach out to us for help. Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Prior to moving to Connecticut, I worked in the Solar Cell manufacturing side, as a supplier to manufacturers of Cells, and SunPower was a customer of mine. After moving to the East coast, I decided I wanted to install Solar to help manage my energy cost; reduce my reliance on the grid and contribute the environmental benefits of Solar. Earthlight was the most professional team I've worked with personally and professionally. Excellent Communication, planning and exceeded my expectations.

SunPower response

Brian, It is wonderful to read about the excellent communication, planning, and installation you experienced. We are so happy to have you join our solar family and help us change the way our world is powered! Congratulations on your new system, and thank you for the amazing review and feedback.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We got our first set of solar panels back in 2012, and we love them so much but we couldn't afford to pay to cover our electric bill completely. So in 2017, we went back and got enough to take care of our whole bill. Then we bought a beach house. We called SunPower back for a third time to put solar panels on that house. We recommended them to my sister who's got them. They're a great product. Our SunPower team is South Coast Solar and they're very responsive. If I had another property, I'd put more on them. They provide good service.

SunPower response

Adrienne, it is wonderful to read your solar story. We are thrilled you have continued to add panels and systems to your properties over time, and how satisfied you are with our products. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and it is thrilling to hear your sister has also our solar family. Thank you for the amazing review and for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Mainly so we would have power when SCE shuts down. Savings nice benefit in addition to peace of mind knowing we have power. Very pleased with Sun Power by Sun solar. Employees are very professional. I would highly recommend this company and urge people to consider solar.

SunPower response

Hi Judy, thanks for taking the time out to leave a review for us. We are thrilled to see you satisfied with our service and product. SunPower always aims to provide our customers with the best possible results. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may need in the future.

SunPower Company Information