2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.42/5

SunPower designs and manufactures the most powerful and advanced solar solutions available for homes and businesses worldwide. SunPower uses Maxeon solar cells for the highest wattage available, and its Community Solar program enables customers to install solar panels on apartments and condos.

SunPower Video
SunPower Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

SunPower offers the world's first 400-watt solar panels, which provide more power with less space. PPAs aren’t available to residential clients, but solar panels are guaranteed to retain the original power capacity.

PROS

• Long warranty
  • Quality products
  • Wide availability

CONS

• Only offers PPAs to commercial clients

Top SunPower Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible... I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

I got quotes from two master installers in my area for SunPower's panels... They did a fantastic job and I didn't have to lift a finger. Thus far, I've been very happy going solar. The electricity production exceeded their estimates.

About SunPower

SunPower offers a full line of solar power products and services to help you receive the benefit of renewable energy. The company upgrades your home or business with some of the highest wattage solar panels available from any solar company.

Inverters and panel boards arrive on-site ready for quick installation, and no field wiring or tools are required. Local SunPower solar installers understand the building and permitting codes in your area and provide customized services.

SunPower provides a 25-year warranty on installation and panels, and its residential solar panels are guaranteed not to lose more than 8% of their original power output for 25 years of continual use. Many conventional solar panels experience a 19% loss of production over 25 years, so SunPower's guarantee lets you keep your energy production as efficient as possible.

SunPower solar panels cost

Installing a SunPower solar energy system typically costs between $2.83 and $3.83 per watt of power production. Altogether, a 6-kilowatt system from SunPower costs between $17,000 and $23,000 before incentives. For the most accurate SunPower solar panels prices, get a quote online or contact a local SunPower dealer.

With SunPower, you can purchase a system outright, pay with a loan or lease a system. The money you save on utility bills helps you pay for your new system, and a SunPower solar power system usually increases your home's value.

SunPower solar panels

SunPower's flexible solar panels are durable and efficient. The company manufactures them using SunPower Maxeon cells, which have a unique solid copper foundation that outlasts conventional solar cells. SunPower offers four series of solar panels:

• A-Series: The SunPower A-Series solar panels give you more power per square foot than other solar panels on the market, delivering up to 22.3% efficiency and 400 watts. The Maxeon Gen 5 solar cells are 65% larger than previous generations and deliver more power.
  • X-Series: The SunPower X-Series solar panels are made of nonreflective black glass that reduces glare. They deliver the highest efficiency rate available in a residential solar panel — up to 22.8% — and are an excellent option when space is limited.
  • E-Series: The SunPower E-Series panels deliver up to 20% efficiency and are available in 320-, 327- or 435-watt panels. The E-Series is 36% more powerful per panel than conventional panels.
  • P-Series: The SunPower designed the P-Series for large commercial projects. These panels are durable and get top results on reliability tests. Their unique parallel circuit design produces more energy in row-to-row shading and delivers up to 19% efficiency. SunPower manufactures a range of P-Series panels that produce from 380 to 400 watts.

SunPower warranty

The SunPower Complete Confidence Warranty covers any repairs or replacements your solar power system needs for 25 years. SunPower guarantees your panels will not lose more than 8% of their original power output in that 25-year period, which ensures your solar energy system stays efficient and produces the power your home needs. The company also covers rust damage.

SunPower FAQ

Where are SunPower solar panels made?
SunPower manufactures its solar panels in the Philippines and Malaysia.
What does the SunPower app do?
The SunPower app helps customers design and plan their new solar energy systems. It analyzes data from customers to estimate cost and show them how the new system will look.
Where can I buy SunPower solar panels?
You can buy SunPower solar panels from wholesale dealers and online sellers.
Does SunPower offer energy monitoring?
Yes, SunPower uses the EnergyLink monitoring platform. This monitoring platform gives customers real-time insight into their energy savings and a monthly report.
Does SunPower provide energy storage?
Yes, SunPower provides energy storage with the Helix battery storage system. Helix can save you even more money as an energy storage solution.

Is SunPower worth it?

Yes, SunPower is a smart choice for homeowners interested in solar panels. SunPower solar energy company offers excellent and comprehensive solar products and services to its customers with state-of-the-art solar cells and panels backed by one of the best warranties in the industry.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: April 28, 2020

Going solar was the way for the future and it was a long-term investment. I own my system and New Jersey is very lucrative as far as the SRECs go. With SunPower, I didn’t feel like they pushed the sale for me and they made sure that I understood everything as opposed to just getting me to sign on the dotted line. The original offer they came with a 20-year loan and it wasn’t something I really wanted. I wanted a 10-year but I worked with them.

Once I signed the contract with SunPower, they took care of everything. I got a new roof with mine too. So, they hired the contractor to come out and tear down the roof and put me a new roof. After the roof, it was three weeks later and they came out and got the panels up. Then we had to wait for the electric department to give me the new net meter. Once that was done, the township came out to inspect it. From signing to operation, it took two months. It was pushed a little back ‘cause I got a roof. But I literally just signed it and I didn't have to do anything. They just told me what was going on and kept me up to date of what was gonna happen.

Going solar is one of the best decisions I made. I love it. I can just blast my AC in the summer as cold as I want and it doesn’t affect my bill. SunPower was spot-on with their estimate. My system produced more than what they thought I was gonna produce. The only time I had to pull from the grid was in January when the sun was not there. But I already had a credit from all the previous months where I overproduced. So, they took it right off of that. I’ve been just paying the $5 to be connected to the grid to the electric department, paying the price for the actual solar and I get my SRECs. It has been really simple.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I already had solar on a previous house. So, from that perspective, there was no sale necessarily involved. When we moved houses, we already had a spreadsheet put together, in terms of getting the numbers and compare. So, that way then I can do an apples to apples comparison versus, "Hey, company A is telling me this. Company B is telling me that, and it's $10,000 cheaper for that company. I'll go with that company B." I tried to be very even keeled without showing any favoritism towards one particular company. But in the end, SunPower really came through and showed the value proposition the best. I liked the overall perspective that I got both from the initial sales consultation and the knowledge level of the sales consultant.

We were a month delayed in getting the system turned on. But that was no fault of SunPower. That was 100% on PEC, the electrical cooperative that we have here because due to COVID-19, they were not doing any interconnection validations. That was the only delay we had on the project. Otherwise, it went through seamlessly and flawlessly. We're averaging about 150% generation vis-a-vis consumption right now on a daily basis.

Talk to people around you. There are a couple of reasons why detractors in solar are always going to be out there. One is that they don't necessarily understand the importance of going solar, that it's not just about a me, me, me type situation. And the fact that, "Well, it's only gonna be worthwhile if you're gonna be in the house for 10 to 15 years." "Well, okay. You put in a new kitchen. What do you mean?" That is what net cost out is like. You're not gonna get any money back except when it comes time to sell the house. Whereas with solar, yes, there is the net outlay of the construction, but you don't pay for electricity on the electricity you generate and when you're in surplus, you're selling it to the power company.

Number two, you also have those people that don't necessarily understand the value proposition. They just haven't had the right conversations for solar. One example, at my previous house, we have a solar installation done that was half the size of this one for the same price that this one was. So, in the three years between the two solar installations, there was a 50% cost reduction. So, to me, it's an outdated statement to say, "Well, you gotta be in the house for 10 years before you get reimbursed." But technology is going to be different in five years.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I was new in the market to figure what is good and what is not. I had more than two people coming to my house and explaining how solar works and how everything does. They were promising how this would work out this way about the energy company and what benefit they would be giving. The two important facts for me were the cost and the clear communication or the visibility into it. Because I, myself, is an engineer, I’m curious what are the inside components and how does it work. Solar Concepts' Rob, who was my sales guy, came to my house and that was how I got introduced to SunPower. I also went through my employer’s PerkSpot site and there also I found the rebate program which SunPower is driving. Rob explained everything that it wouldn't mean that it will go off the grid, what are the limitations, what are the ways to maximum utilization of the solar. I felt that this would be the company that I wanted to go with.

I got an email from the Solar Concepts that we won’t make that much energy throughout the year as we expected. SunPower sent me a check by doing some calculations and giving 17% of the cost back. But it didn’t serve the purpose. Now, I’m in the middle situation where I’ll be using some of my solar energy and some of my grid energy, so I’ll be having two bills now. And of course, there is no way that we can completely eliminate the grid bill or the energy company bill. I should at least utilize solar to the extent where I could use it during the daytime, and then on the nighttime, which is the off-peak hours, I’ll be using the grid energy. That is one thing I wanted to get insight.

I also wanted to see what are the parameters we consider and why this fluctuation came where we were expecting to generate 1,200-kilowatt energy for a year. But we don’t think we’ll make it to that. We’ll just generate maybe 800. I don’t know whether it was related to the panel material we choose or how does it work. But otherwise, SunPower’s been really good in terms of communicating what’s going on. Solar Concepts submitted my rebate form and I immediately got a response from SunPower that it would take eight weeks to process so that’s been good.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I came across SunPower through a referral. They did my father’s home and he told me he had a good experience with SunPower. I was always considering solar energy but I never did any research. My father told me to reach out to this guy and I did. Enrolling was simple. It’s almost as if the salesperson just get people in and then SunPower would verify the information and send it off because I never spoke to them again. But it was a good process on SunPower.

Ad-Energy was good with the installation as well. They were thorough and efficient. They were in and out. They explained what they were gonna do and coordinated everything. Everything was done by text which is cool with me. I’m a millennial and it was easy. It was like a month, from the time I signed up until the panels were on the roof. The whole thing was a lot faster than I thought it would be. But we had to wait for the town to get the permit. It really wasn’t a big deal and I don’t mind the human element but it would be cool if SunPower had a progress thing on their website and I could look at something that says where you are, what you need to do, what we’re waiting on and what's next. On the other hand, it's been cool since I started producing solar energy. It’s often seen on the website.

However, I wish there was a way to understand how the SRECs work and whether I am automatically enrolled in it. I believe my father was automatically enrolled with it and I would like to know how that can be applied toward my loan balance. I understand there's SunPower and then there's Mosaic but I don’t know if their two systems can talk. Seeing these SRECs that I'm going to produce this summer and what I need to do, I wonder whether I need to enroll anything with the government in terms of where this money is gonna go. The only reason why I’m aware of this is we had solar with a different vendor at my office that my father set up. He didn't even know he can get SRECs until four years later. The government sent him a check. So he never claimed his SRECs. We had to go to a broker and they charged a 25% fee to take it out. But that's the only thing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I talked to a lot of companies with different prices and different products, and SunPower had an excellent solar panel. They were rated very highly for installation. The price wasn’t the best, but it was feasible. Dealing with the customer service was also painless. I’ve had a little bit of problem with the monitor, which is fixed now. I’m happy with the number of watts I’m getting.

The year before I got it, my average electric bill was $132. And two months of that was almost $300, but it was really hot for a long time. I lease the system so I knew what my normal cost was. I knew it was gonna go up. And SunPower quoted 107 or something, leased. So, I’m putting no money in it. Before they installed it I replaced the felt for my roof under the area that they were going to be installing. Because all these houses are 30 years old and really should have it all replaced. And Kirsten, the agent, was extremely knowledgeable, straightforward, no BS, just clear, which I like. So, everything together made it look like an okay deal. Good enough that I picked with them over all the other people I’ve talked to.

I like having solar. The monitor works fine now. I check it every few days. I used to check it almost every day just to see. My electricity bill now is typically $10 a month, plus the $107 fee, but I expect it to stay that way. If I ever have to replace my air conditioner, I’ll put one in that’s more efficient, which will basically get rid of any cost increase from the electric company.

I’ve referred SunPower six people on my street. I know practically everybody here in my local area because I’m a general contractor for most of the houses, and several of them have talked to SunPower. One or two are not getting it because it didn’t make economic sense. The one at the end of the street is from Wisconsin and they’re gone, not the whole summer, but maybe five or six months of the hot part of the year. So, it doesn’t make sense because it’s mainly the air conditioning. One person has installed it, and my next-door neighbor is probably going to.

Original review: June 27, 2020

We went with SunPower because they had the highest rating for quality and performance and due to the limited area on our roof, their higher efficiency panels worked perfectly. We were a little nervous when the panels started producing 28% less energy than they should have produced, but after some time, SunPower stood behind their products and replaced 21 of the 25 defective microinverters and even though payment for lost power is not covered under the warranty, they came through and compensated us above and beyond what we were asking! Very impressive! So far they have proven that they do stand behind their products.

We are very happy with SunPower and like the fact that they stood behind their products. The one item I do not like is the fact that they do not allow customers to see the full performance detail of their panels - they do not let them see the performance of each individual panel. Most other companies seem to let customers see full performance detail, but not SunPower. They say that it is our responsibility to report a performance issue to SunPower in order for them to respond, but it is very difficult to tell if one or so panels are not working by looking at the total production.

Original review: June 27, 2020

When I purchased my unit out of four companies called only one responded. Turns out that they were the most professional and the cleanest. I have only had one problem with the system and it was not part of the solar unit. It was a telemetry unit and it was replaced, no cost, no problem.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I decided to go to solar because my monthly electric bill would reach over 600 dollars and now my bill has effectively become zero. I actually send more power back than I use, so I have the ability to handle more electric loads in the future such as electric cars or a shop on my property.

Original review: June 20, 2020

The installers were quick, they were professional and friendly. I had some issues and questions along the way, of which SunPower and their install company Streamline was fast and efficient in getting everything resolved. I have had my system for 3-plus years and am very happy with it. My end result in dealing with SunPower not only met my expectations, they far exceeded them. Great company, great value.

Original review: June 17, 2020

April 21st, I began the process of installation and given a project coordinator to make it happen. He said the permitting stage would take 2-3 weeks. I continue to ask him by email about progress but never get meaningful replies if he responds at all, which is seldom. I've tried calling, but he never answers the phone and never calls back. If it this hard to get a response from them before you pay, I'm having thoughts of not proceeding at all. No one needs this kind of frustration.

SunPower response

Hello George, I am discouraged to hear of your negative experience. Please expect a call from an Executive Service Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

SunPower Company Information