3.9/5 (272 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

The SunPower team worked closely with me to understand my unique situation and needs. They promptly responded to all of my questions to design a system that would meet all of my future power needs. The installation process all the way through PTO was smooth and efficient. Great job.

SunPower response

James, we appreciate you sharing your exceptional experience with us and are delighted to know you are enjoying your system. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

Overall the experience was good. However it took a long time from the time we originally signed to today with the system finally turned on. Also, poor communication when installation date was changed, but the crew did not get the message. Also had to change the location of the conduit linking the panels. Not a big problem and it was handled in a timely manner. Other than the time it was a good experience.

SunPower response

Hi there. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. Your feedback is essential to us improving our services. We appreciate your review and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

Been looking for Solar options to save money in the long run. SunPower has exceeded my expectations so far with their staff’s responsiveness and communication. Thank you Isabella, David and the lady who immediately called me back when I submitted the initial inquiry.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. We strive to give our customers the best-in-class service and products. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can assist with in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

The sales rep from SunPower was really friendly and outgoing and explained everything detail by detail about how it would work and how much I would save. So far, he's been 100% accurate. He was also available via email at any time I needed and had any questions. It took a little bit more than expected. But it was easy. It was the perfect amount of panels for what I wanted. As soon as everything got approved, the installation went quickly. The only thing that took a little longer after that was just getting the final approval from the APS.

SunPower has an app with your login information. You could track everything on your phone. It gives you the accuracy of how many kilowatts each panel is producing throughout the day. It's very user-friendly. I love going solar with SunPower. I’ve already saved within the first month since the system got turned on. I've noticed a big difference in my electricity bill dropping.

SunPower response

Abel, we appreciate you sharing your exceptional experience with us. It is wonderful to read you are enjoying your new system. Congratulations on going solar and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I Purchased 26 Sunpower solar panels. The panels have met my expectations. I am no longer paying PG&E, outrageous monthly charges. I have them professionally cleaned once, twice per year, and no additional maintenance required. Recently, I introduced Sunpower solar panels, to a friend and he purchased 24 panels. I am in the process of receiving $500 for the successful referral.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

I looked up the best providers for panels and SunPower was one of them. I talked to an agent and it sounded like SunPower was who I wanted to go with. I got my son and a friend to do it, too. SunPower did us great and they hooked us up with a company. When the panels were installed and when I hooked it up with the electric company, the trade was one-for-one. SunPower originally said I wouldn't have to pay the bill for the electricity. I just pay off my panels. But they changed this and they don't exchange it one-for-one anymore. The company, Rhythm, changed where we have to pay for electricity.

When we talked to the electric company yesterday, we were told that SunPower did not do a part. But one of the reasons that we signed up to get solar was because we had an understanding through whoever it was we talked to that was a SunPower agent that they could hook us up with an electric company that will make it so that we don't have to pay the electric company. We only have to pay for our solar panels. This worked for a year then the electric company changed it so that now we have to pay them. We check on the computer every day and look at how much we're pulling in through the solar panels and we still did not have to pay an electric company because we make all of the electricity through those panels. That changing on us was a downer.

Another thing is with the way that the panels are positioned on our house, that works excellently at this time of the year. We got the panels installed in October, a year ago. During this time of the year is when we were getting the most from them. But the sun goes to a different position in the summer. You would think that you would make more in the summer, especially in Texas, but because the sun is in a different place, we don't make what we do in the winter through those panels. That part isn't very good because the summer is when you pull all this electricity for your air conditioner, which has the most usage that we ever have. Also, by signing up our son, we were supposed to get something from SunPower but we haven't had that happen yet.

SunPower seemed like it was a no-brainer and that there was a fixed thing happening with our electric bill and that was our attraction. It was very pleasing to us. And now, since it's not gonna be up in the air again, we wouldn't be able to tell somebody, "Oh, it's gonna be working for you like this," because we have no idea how it would work for them.

SunPower response

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. We apologize for your experience and will have an Executive Support Specialist reach out to you to look into this further.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Enrolling with Sunrun was very easy. The rep I dealt with was very good and helpful. I highly recommended him. So far, everything's working well and I recommended part of my family in California to use Sunrun.

SunPower response

We appreciate you sharing your SunPower experience. It's exciting to have you as part of the SunPower family, and it's such a joy to see your satisfaction with your transition to solar. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I have been in communication with Sunpower since October 2022. My remote monitoring system (RMU) has not been working since then and after waiting for two months for them to select a SUBCONTRACTOR to come out and just take a look and determine what the issue is, the system is STILL not working. The electrical company is charging me thousands of dollars every month because my solar panel system is inoperable and not providing any wattage to the grid line.

On December 6th (more than two months since I contacted them) they sent out a technician to check out the system, they replaced some components but in the end still left my property without fixing the entire system and the RMU was still not functional. It is now January 18th, and today I received an email from them saying that "they are working on it" while I'm stuck here month after month paying ridiculous electrical bills. If you want a company to not provide adequate service AFTER they have initially installed your solar panel system, SunPower is your company. Terrible service. I have never in my entire life spend almost 6 months with a company trying to fix an issue. Ridiculous!

SunPower response

Hi Masood, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience and look further into this situation. We take your feedback and comments seriously and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I have reached out to your Executive Support Specialist to alert them of your sentiments and notated the case on your behalf.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

The process took three to four months. SunPower told us that from the outset, so we weren't surprised. We're very satisfied. We expected that because everything was great with my sister and brother-in-law too.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Sunpower was really good. The reps were able to answer questions very clearly for me, clarified things when I wasn't sure and they were very down-to-earth about it. The crew that installed the panels was very good as well. They kept me informed the whole time. They told me what they were doing as they put the stuff up, then they told me about the difference in the size of panels because they found they could use a larger panel to come up with the same expectations that they were looking at. Even though the panel is a bit larger, it took up a bit less space on the roof. It was great. The only problem I've had, because I'm still not on solar, is they ran something that the power company came out and said they couldn't do through the same opening the power was going through between my meter and my panel inside the house. I'm still waiting for them to clear that up because the power company could not run their test because of that.

SunPower response

We are delighted that the team provided you with a positive experience. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Please reach out to us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

We had just moved into an old house and had Sunpower install panels on our roof. The sales and installation process was straightforward. Panels were quite expensive. Our complaint was the inspection. When Sunpower came to inspect our roof to make sure it was suitable to install the panels, they said everything was ok. 1 year later, with the recent rainstorms, we noticed several leaks in our roof. We decided to replace our roof. Sunpower charged us $5k to take the panels down and reinstall them after the roof was replaced.

After brief inspection, our roofer told us that our roof was in horrible condition and showed us pictures. He said that it was unethical that Sunpower would install panels on a roof in such poor condition. I immediately called Sunpower to see if there was an inspection, and if there were any pictures taken. Apparently there was an inspection, with no pictures. I asked multiple sales representatives about being reimbursed for the removal and reinstallation of the panels. For if I had known the roof was in such bad shape, I would've replaced the roof before installing the panels. Still haven't heard any sort of response or accountability.

SunPower response

We sincerely apologize for your experience. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

We are very happy about the energy production and the solar panels themselves, but unfortunately we've had leaks in our roof and bedroom due to the solar panel installation. They did not properly caulk the holes after moving the racks during installation. We have had 2 independent contractors come and take pictures and write a report. It's been 5 months, and SunPower has not honored their roof warranty. Stay away! They are very present and responsive when they sell the product but not afterwards.

SunPower response

We sincerely apologize for your experience and see you have an active case with us. Please expect an Executive Support Specialist to be in touch. Thank you for the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Our experience with Sunpower Solar began December 2020. We let SunPower know we had a budget of $25,000, and they said that would be plenty for our energy needs. But the reality was it wasn’t close to being enough panels and so we had to pay for additional panels out-of-pocket going beyond our budget. The solar panels were up in the summer of 2021.

Sunpower forgot to turn the switch on once the panels were on a roof. Therefore, we incurred very large summer bills, as well as the additional solar bill to Sunpower. Quite honestly, the whole experience was awful from the beginning to the end. This company is dishonest, if anything goes wrong they’re awful with communication, and they did not reimburse us for anything that they said they would. I would hate for someone else to go through it we did, and therefore I felt I had to write this review.

SunPower response

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect an Executive Support Specialist to reach out to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

The sales process was respectable. The rep showed me all the facts and realized I had a few things happening so I couldn't purchase solar right away. I was able to tell them where I was at and they were totally understanding. When everything was situated, I gave them a call back and all the paperwork was really easy. The whole program was fast and smooth. They downloaded the app which made the step-by-step really easy. All I had to do was start paying.

The installers were were really receptive in the sense that they had some problems with getting some supplies. But they said, “Hey, we're working on it. It may take a while.” They ended up finding the parts sooner than planned and the install was done in a timely fashion. I was well pleased compared to other people who I know went with other solar providers and are still waiting and having problems.

Everything is working well and I'm very happy with the purchase. Right after we installed, our power company said there's going to be a price increase. So, I'm like, “Well, that’s good timing.” The app is very easy to understand. I watch it regularly, so it's nice to see that I'm producing more than I'm using, which is nothing but a smile and savings.

SunPower response

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

The sales rep was excellent and everything went perfectly during installation. SunPower was absolutely great. They did a much nicer job than what I was expecting from Tesla.

SunPower response

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

The reps' communication was great. They were able to answer any questions quickly. The installation crew was great. The weather wasn't too good that day but they got it all done. So far, going solar has eliminated our power bill. Now, we're just down to a base rate. It's easy and efficient.

SunPower response

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

Enrolling was very difficult. Where I live at is against a mountain and they had to go through too many jumps and hoops to figure out if they would approve us to have it. Other than that, the reps were knowledgeable and we're pretty satisfied.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Please contact us in the future with any questions you may have.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Panels quit working in June. Sunpower told me it was just a communications issue, the panels were still putting out power. Later, I looked into it more carefully and found Duke Power had not received any power since June. I called Sunpower several more times and I did troubleshooting over the phone. I called the company that installed it, I did more troubleshooting for them. They concluded the box was defective and said they'd call Sunpower. Apparently Sunpower won't let them fix it. Six months have gone by and I still haven't been able to get someone to come to the house and fix it. What more can I do? $25,000 invested and they won't help.

SunPower response

Hi Timothy, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience and look further into this situation. We take your feedback and comments seriously and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I have reached out to your Executive Support Specialist to alert them of your sentiments and notated the case on your behalf.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

The process with SunPower was easy. My interactions with the customer service reps have been positive.

SunPower response

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

The installation team was very good. 10 panels weren't performing. But once they got that straightened out, everything worked fine. But after the install was done, someone from SunPower should have come in and asked if we had any questions or explained the process of how it works. Nobody did. I was reading where net metering ends or how that works. I tried to get ahold of the guy that installed it, but I haven't had much luck.

SunPower response

David, we appreciate your review and feedback. Send us a private message here on Consumer Affairs if you would like further assistance. We would be happy to reach out. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

The reps were courteous and able to answer all my questions. They were excellent.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Purchased system June 2022. Installation happened September 20, and at that time all required information was supposedly sent to my electric provider. It’s now the end of December and we’re still waiting for connection. Almost impossible to reach our project coordinator by phone, I have an email chain that’s quite impressive. In the last email I was informed that project coordinator would be checking with his interconnection specialist and would update me later that day with progress, and that we should be functional by ‘the end of this week or early next week’. 2 weeks later and still waiting for a response. That’s how this has gone the past 3 months. Lots of promises and finger pointing at who is responsible but no action.

At one point I contacted my electric provider and discovered that they were still waiting for all the paperwork to be submitted. I understand that dealing with all the necessary agencies is slow and laborious, but 6 months from the time of purchase and still no working system seems excessive. On the plus side the installation was fast and the panels look beautiful up there. Negative side is it’s like purchasing a new car, having it delivered to your home but you can’t drive it because we’re still waiting for the transmission to be installed.

SunPower response

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. We sincerely apologize for your previous experiences and any inconveniences that have occurred. We would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect an Executive Support Specialist to reach out discuss your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

My power bill went from almost $300 a month to just over 50 for the month of November.

SunPower response

Billy, it is wonderful to read how exceptional your experience has been. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

The solar company has been excellent. I’ve had a very good experience through the entire sales and installation process. They were very high on service, customer contact, problem resolution, and proactiveness.

SunPower response

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

We'll get through the winter now because we’re right in the snow. But soon as spring arrives, I'm going to try to get with SunPower and try to figure out who my daughter can talk to up in Washington, and at least come out and find out if it's feasible there. They're young and they just bought their house, so they could do the lease program and work out just fine. They don't have trees next to their house so it would be a perfect place for it. I know it's cloudy up there, but it would still pay off. I watch ours. Even on cloudy days, it still works. SunPower needs to push a little harder up in Washington, especially on the West Coast. They'd probably generate a lot of work. There's one source for SunPower in the Seattle area. I've never heard of SunPower, and I lived up there for 60 years. So they should do a bit more advertising. In my building, they would get a lot of customers up there.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I went with SunPower because they were rated the best in all kinds of things. Hopefully, that will turn out in the long run. I went with the 12-year interest-free plan and I'm paying about $300 a month for it right now. I'm 66 and I'm not gonna stay in the house forever. I'm not gonna pay them $14,000 a year for interest over 25 years.

I had an interesting experience with SunPower because I was 100 miles away from where they normally do a lot of business and they hadn't done business very much in the area. There was a lot of miscommunication between the electric company in the city and them. We worked through it and that was a hassle. They worked everything out with me and finally got in contact with me. They had some new people in place and it was a learning experience for everybody. In the end, everything was resolved. They did some things really nicely for me and for free. My system just wasn't connected until June so I didn't get any benefits until April and May.

So far, my bill has been low. This summer, it was hot as hell and October was a good month, but I still had to pay a $3 bill. My billing for November and December is $40, which isn't that much, but I'm still reaping the benefit of the system. The weather has a lot to do with that. I am optimistic about the future. We're not going to have 100-degree weather for 25 days. It's rare and we're not going to have all this cloud. Here in Texas, you never know what's gonna happen.

SunPower response

We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with your SunPower system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

I was talking to some friends and they mentioned the solar company that they went to. I thought that I got the name right but I didn't. I called SunPower and their rep Chris was a great guy. He was the one that made me continue to do business with them. The guys that did the panels were great and they cleaned up after themselves. Compared to my neighbors who did Affinity, the conduit is steel. The guys painted mine black, which was really nice so it doesn't really stand out. They did a nice job and were very nice people.

When I kept getting some blowouts, one of the guys that installed the solar panels came back to do it. I had also a regular electrician come out and he said that the job looked like **. I told the installers that and this one particular guy got angry. He took pictures of it. They got mad when I told them the electrician said that it could catch fire and burn the house down. The installer guy said that was not true. He didn't put certain couplings on. The guy out of Fresno just shoved some stuff through and he said it looked like he did a quick job. Another electrician said he could have done a better job.

I know nothing about electricity and I was just saying was the electrician said. The installer guy got mad at me and said he was out of this. That aside, everything is fine now. That was a complaint of somebody who came out to see what was wired and everything was blowing. But we got that all straightened out and nothing’s blowing anymore. SunPower did a marvelous job.

SunPower response

Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services; thank you for sharing your experience. We are thrilled that Chris provided helpful service. Please reach out to us if you need any assistance. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Really bad customer service, responsiveness, and management of installation process. Let me summarize: 1) Installers tried to change the original design upon installation after a 4-hour onsite inspection. They wanted the change to make installation easier and presented it as a requirement. 2) I said no and they dumped the equipment on my yard and just left it there for 3 weeks. No outreach to explain what is going on. 3) Issue resolved after multiple emails and calls. They installed per the initial design. 4) Installers say a step is missing and I have no clarity on what the step is and when it's going to happen. My point of contact at the company doesn't even know what the step is. It's been weeks since I asked and can't get an answer to this very simple question.

5) Installation inspection failed. I get no proactive outreach to explain next steps. I have to reach out and after multiple emails - each takes a full business day for a response - I still don't know when rework can be done. I still don't know about this mysterious missing step either. It's been two months since installation started and there's no clear path to completion, and no communication with me even after multiple escalations. I tried to complain internally multiple times to no effect so hopefully this public note will help.

SunPower response

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. We will have a SunPower Solar Advisor reach out to you with more information. We look forward to hearing from you, and thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

I couldn't say enough about the team that came out. Also, I was surprised with how much the system produced. But I was taken aback by the bait-and-switch game or how much you actually get credit for the solar that you generate. That wasn't advertised in the process and PG&E does their best to hide the costs. I really want SunPower's sales team to go into detail of what the pricing is. I want to know why I'm dropping 30 grand on the system. Other than that, SunPower is trying to give people affordable power and I definitely recommend them. People just need more information to make their decisions.

I tried to call and ask, "Hey, what's the rough cost to add a battery to my house? I don't need it down to the dime. I want a ballpark." It took me a half dozen phone calls. It would be really great if there were rough costs out there within your company to do a quick budget assessment. When I can't get a simple answer like that, it makes me really frustrated.

SunPower response

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

SunPower is competitive with the lower-priced people. The guy that sold us the product convinced us that it was the better one. I got three more panels that I was supposed to get but still have to pay an average of 110 bucks a month for my electricity. I was hoping not to pay anything a year because I had three extra panels. They said without those three extra panels, I should be fine. With the three extra, I didn't know if I was gonna get a refund or a rebate every single year, but I didn't think I was gonna be paying 1,300 bucks. I might be calling to get another panel or two. I'm disappointed. It’s better than an average of $400 a month, but I was expecting zero after getting extra panels.

I tried to call about a couple of different things, and either I left a voicemail that no one ever returned, or when I contacted somebody about what happens when you refer a friend, that particular person had no idea even though I found out later that there is an incentive. There's $500 to the person that either referred a friend, or the friend that they got would get $500 off. But none of that was disclosed to me when I asked. They said they were gonna get back to me but never did. My other phone call back to them was the month of September, where when I got my reading of how much energy we produced and used that month, half that month was not disclosed. There was no return phone call. It's very frustrating. I feel there was a half a month there of energy I earned. I don't know how many times that's happened, but I only noticed that one month.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

SunPower Company Information