SunPower

4.6/5 (389 ratings)

About SunPower Reviews

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: May 12, 2022

My reason for the call was to establish wifi connection. Mark walk me through the trouble shooting process. Which restarted my system communications. Mark was very professional from start to finish. Thank you Sunpower team for your excellence. I will definitely recommend sunpower to friends and family. Nice job.

SunPower response

It is great to hear your expectations were met during your troubleshoot, Demetrius. We appreciate the recommendation and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 11, 2022

When we first got solar, our bill was $11 and something a month. Even though we're still trying to conserve power and not be crazy, it was nice to know that we knew we had a monthly bill consistent so we could help with budgeting and financing. The government's penalizing people who own solar though. So, we've seen our monthly bill go from $11 to $38 just because we don't use enough energy from the grid. SunPower's app is pretty easy to use. I don't use it very often because it pretty much does what it's supposed to do. You just check and it'll tell you how many kilowatt hours you're producing, consuming, and if you're using the grid or not, and then you could check for the month. You can check for the year, too.

SunPower response

We appreciate you sharing your SunPower experience. It's exciting to have you as part of the SunPower family, and it's such a joy to see your satisfaction with your transition to solar. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 8, 2022

I had a great experience with SunPower from beginning to end. I had a good guy come out and explained everything to me. He was really good and laid everything out very clearly. The installation went very smoothly and my system is running perfectly. I haven’t gotten a bill since then, but I've been noticing they have an app that lets me track my usage. I've been exporting a lot of power to the grid. So, I'm excited about my first bill.

SunPower response

We can't wait to hear about your savings! It's delightful that you have had a splendid SunPower experience from beginning to end. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 7, 2022

I like SunPower. If I can just fully understand it. My son and I, we're having problems understanding it. The seller did an outstanding job. I've had my panels for two months and I have noticed my electric bill has been somewhat less. But we haven't fully understood what we received. I have $500 in there and we haven't figured out how to convert it to our checking account.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. We apologize for any inconvenience and would be happy to help look into this on your behalf. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Please do your research before hiring Sunpower to install panels on your roof. There is very little communication. The process started in December and we are in May and they just got them working. I’ve taken off of work 3 times for them to not show. They charged me for 2 months of having the panels even though they were not turned on. Nobody responds, even the escalation team. There is plenty of competition out there, do not use this company!!!

SunPower response

We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We have updated your case and followed up with your Executive Support Specialist to alert them of your experience. Please expect them to reach out soon, directly.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was very good and I didn’t have to do anything once it started. It was the same thing with the installation. They just told me that they were gonna come on this day to install and how long it was gonna take. I asked if I had to do anything and they said no. I've been satisfied with going solar up to this point. SunPower did a good job. It’s not always necessary how much it costs for the installation. People have to consider the service they provide afterwards a lot more.

SunPower response

We are thrilled to hear your SunPower installation experience was seamless! Don't hesitate to reach out in the future with any questions or concerns. We sincerely appreciate the feedback, and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 5, 2022

Eugene, the rep, was very informative and straightforward. The installation was great though it took a while because of being a townhome. So, we have an HOA that has to open up the main meter. It's different than a house where everything is in your own personal stuff. So, SunPower had to make an appointment for that. And every time they needed the inspector to come, they would have to make an appointment with HOA to open the meter box again. It was a little more challenging. The panels were installed in early January and then, it was there for a month. The planets aligned in February and the thing got going. I just paid $20 for my gas bill the other day. So, it was better than 280 that I was paying every month.

SunPower response

We are so pleased to hear that you are saving money and enjoying clean energy. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. We'd be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I had solar at a prior home and the home that I bought was a new construction with Shea Homes. I purchased a 5-kilowatt system with the home and it was a SunPower system. When I moved in, it was all hooked up and I found out based on some improvements that I had made, that the 5 kilowatts weren’t covering all my energy needs. So, I added another 4 kilowatts. And because I wanted to make sure that the system was compatible, I only worked with solar contractors that used the SunPower product. The sales rep was great, very knowledgeable and respectful of our time. His presentation made the decision easy and SunPower’s price was competitive. The financing that they offered through a local credit union helped us make the decision to move forward with the expense.

The installers, Mulholland Electric, were good. They came out, got on it and finished it quickly. There was one little hiccup though. And I'm not sure whether it was theirs or on SunPower’s end. I made it clear when I signed the contract that when I get the reporting data through the SunPower app, I didn't want to have to monitor a 5-kilowatt system and the new 4-kilowatt system. I wanted the data to be reported as if it was one 9-kilowatt system. They had to install a second inverter so there was a little bit of complication with trying to get the two systems to report as one. And it seemed as though that went back to SunPower corporate. It took a little bit more effort on my part to make that happen than I would have liked but it finally got worked out.

I'm not a big fan of the SunPower app. It's not very user-friendly in terms of graphing and the way that it graphically presents the information. I can figure it out but it's not as simple as it should be. I had a prior SunPower app with the first system, which was easier and better to interact with than the current one. But I'm also not somebody who sits there and logs into my app every day. I have friends that show their solar generating capabilities on their phones as if it's their grandkid’s pictures. Instead of working, just watching the kilowatts app. I don't do that. So, it's not a big issue.

SunPower response

We appreciate your sharing your SunPower experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thank you again for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Once we found out about SunPower being behind RENOVA, we researched it and found how long they've been in business, and then all the parts they use for a system were SunPower, and we liked that, which was also why we went with RENOVA and SunPower. Everything was wonderful. It was fabulous the whole way through. SunPower was right on it and they were in touch. The worst part was waiting. Once we got approved, RENOVA was backed up because so many people are going solar. So, we had to wait four months for it to be installed. But once they put it in, they only took less than a week to install. I have the app on my phone and we can check to see how much solar power we're generating. I feel pleased to get it because Edison is going up and up and this is a good move for us.

I have called about the loan and then, I called about the final paperwork. And whenever I've had to call SunPower, they were super nice people. They were very courteous, helpful, answered everything and got it straightened out right away. The other day, our internet provider changed our router so we had to change the Wi-Fi code and had a little trouble with that. I called SunPower and the guy walked us right through it and then, he told us he would monitor all weekend just to make sure that it stayed going, and it did. Our salesman was the same way because I could still call him if I have issues. SunPower is a great company and I'm happy with them. I love them. I recommended my neighbor and she's going with them now, too.

SunPower response

What an excellent review! We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with our products. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered! We appreciate you recommending your neighbor, and we hope you don't forget that you can earn cash for referrals through the Share SunPower program. Here is a link: http://ow.ly/gWX650FfkQW

Original review: May 2, 2022

James, my salesman, was great. If I had any questions, he was right there to answer them for me. The installation went smooth and fast. They had all the panels up within a day. In one way, the SunPower system is good because in the summertime, I end up with credits every month. The only thing that I didn't care for and still don't like is that when my year came up with the electric company, the electric company tried to change the terms on me if I had overages. Everyone I went to after the first-year contract was up does the same thing. They change it up to where if you are overproducing, they're not going to reimburse you.

For instance, last July, I had produced 2,300 kilowatt hours. I only used 800 so I had 1,500 overage. With the new plan that they tried to get me to go with, they would reimburse me up to my usage. So, if I produce 2,300 again this July and only use 800, they’ll reimburse me for 800 of it then still use the other 1,500 for free. That’s crazy. Why would anybody do that? I got 43 panels for a reason. I felt as if that could have been explained to me before I decided to do 20-year investment for $50,000. These energy companies are gonna make it to where I’m gonna end up paying a light bill in the wintertime and pay for the panels. That's not what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm supposed to be building up everything in the summertime so I don't have any kind of bill in the winter. That was the ultimate idea.

The way they explained it to me was that I'd get 100%. The first company that they sent me to charge 14.9 cents then they reimburse me 14.9 cents per kilowatt hour. The best I could find out there is they’ll charge me 14.9, and pay me 9.4 up to a limit. But I still have to keep on paying. I wouldn’t have done the panels if I'd had known that.

SunPower response

It's delightful that James provided a positive experience, and we're so pleased that you've been enjoying your SunPower system. We apologize that you have had a negative experience with the electric company and sincerely appreciate your feedback. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 1, 2022

SunPower's reps were very good. Also, we are very satisfied with the installers. They were very fast and professional.

SunPower response

It's delightful that you experienced a fast and professional installation. We sincerely appreciate the feedback, and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I've been very satisfied. Going solar has given me a credit on my Edison bill for the last year. Their team was also very professional. I had one issue regarding the programming of the panel and it was resolved over the course of a couple of weeks.

SunPower response

Hi Vernon, thanks for the positive review. We are delighted to see you happy with the service you received from our team. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist with down the line. Our team is always ready to help. Thanks again!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Working with SunPower's reps was great. I already had solar and I was replacing it, and the whole thing has been replaced with SunPower.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. We're always here to help and are just a call, message, or email away. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 27, 2022

The sales rep from SunPower was professional. Everything seems to go fine with SunPower.

SunPower response

It's delightful that you experienced professional service! Please reach out to us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 26, 2022

Through the process, SunPower was pretty good at communicating. Once everything was done, they were able to explain how it works. The installers had a little mishap, but they were able to fix it. They broke a few shingles and some of our pool equipment, but in the end, they were able to replace and fix it. SunPower is reliable. They have good communication and overall good customer service.

SunPower response

Hi Claudia, thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry to hear that there were some issues during the installation but it was resolved smoothly. Please feel free to contact us if there is a concern or a question we can take care of in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: April 23, 2022

First and foremost is to help fight climate change and then high electricity rates. The Sunpower staff have been great to work with from start to finish! The sales rep was on time and extremely knowledgeable. His plan was well designed for what we wanted. The installers were quick and courteous.

SunPower response

Hi Maurienne, thanks for the glowing review. We are delighted to hear about the wonderful experience you had with all our team members through the buying process. Please feel free to reach out if there is anything we can assist with in the future.

Original review: April 23, 2022

The SunPower representative was very detailed and he made sure that I understood it. Every step, he answered all my questions and he walked me through the whole process -- how it works and what to expect. Also, he did the whole breakdown and he had his whole spreadsheet with all different PowerPoints to explain the details. I was so happy to know that he was my rep and I've recommended customers to him. Then, my installation was before the holiday and it was quick. They said it would be three days but it was done in a day. That was amazing. Then, after installation and inspection from our building department, I saw a difference in my bill right away. It took effect the next billing cycle and my bill was $20. It was easy and fast and I'm a very happy customer.

SunPower response

Hi Lorna, thank you for taking the time out to give detailed feedback on your experience. It brought us a lot of joy to hear about how amazing your whole experience was from the start. Please keep us updated on your system and if there is anything we can do for you in the future.

Original review: April 22, 2022

The price and the salesperson from SunPower made sense, which made me decide to enroll with them. I’m very satisfied with going solar.

SunPower response

We are glad to have you part of the SunPower family. Sandy. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us it helps us out a lot. Feel free to reach out if there is a need we can address sometime in the future.

Original review: April 21, 2022

SunPower provided the equipment and used a contractor in Dallas that they're connected with. I worked with a company called Freedom Solar. They were very helpful and did a good job. I had an issue with the neighbor and they worked with me to resolve the issue.

SunPower response

Hi Emilio, thanks for taking the time out to provide us with wonderful feedback. We are delighted to see that your experience with one of our most trusted dealers in Texas went great and they were able to resolve the issue. If there is a need we can address later down the road, please reach out to us. We'd more than happy to help.

Original review: April 20, 2022

The sales process was relatively easy. From the very first time we made contact and made a decision, it was a matter of weeks. And then, installation was within the timeframe we needed. It was all good. We're very satisfied with SunPower.

SunPower response

Hi Eugene, that is great to hear. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the sales process and no hiccups occurred. Please don't hesitate to reach out for any concerns or questions you may have later down the line. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to provide us with great feedback.

Original review: April 19, 2022

The rep from SunPower was very informative, personable, polite and honest. The installation was quick though I wish I would have got battery backup at the same time. If I had one, I probably would be using my battery system at night and solar during the day. Still, I have no power bill. It’s just the service charge. So, it’s good.

SunPower response

Hi Tyson, thanks for the glowing review it helps us out a lot. We are pleased to have you part of the SunPower family. We have the best rep team out there it's great to see that you had a flawless experience with them. Let us know if there is something we can take care of later down the road. Thanks again!

Original review: April 18, 2022

SunPower presented me with a good timeline, a reasonable cost, and a top quality product. The rep was great. He would admit if he didn't know, and would get back to me within 24 hours. Also, I liked the installation crew. They were quick and clean. The staff that they had working on the electric panel was hilarious. He was from New York, and I liked Peter’s work because I'm here in San Antonio and I said, “It’s really beautiful.” He said, “We like to call it sexy.” His wiring was a work of art. The coils were perfect. You open up the box and you go, “Wow!” It was stunning. He was training someone else. New York expletives for a job well done.

It started to create power in January. My electric bill is pushed over to a net provider. So, I had a switch company. That has helped tremendously. And what's fascinating is that there's no disruption of service whether I'm going to the solar panels or getting energy from the grid. It's seamless. It's everything I hoped it would be. The timeline, in a perfect world, would have been faster, but everybody was trying to get in on it. It was at the end of the year, so I totally get it. They did a good job. I have recommended them to other people.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your customer experience with us! It's delightful to hear that the installation process was quick and clean. We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with your SunPower system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. It's bliss seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 17, 2022

I liked SunPower's pricing and the guarantees that they were willing to discuss as far as power output. I've already received one bill that had a partial month using this. And I could already see where I'm producing power. I got $50 back off on that bill for just the partial month.

SunPower response

We are so glad to have met your standards and to be able to help support your energy goals. If there is anything that we can assist with in the future, don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: April 16, 2022

SunPower was the one who gave me a competitive rate with a unified warranty. So, I liked the way the deal was packaged. SunPower as a company and the local installers here, SAVKAT, have done a very good job in keeping up with the requirements and answering some of the questions that I had during the course of the process. They took care of everything right from the initial evaluation, project documents, and from permitting. The installation took one day and it was perfectly done. I've been offloading to the grid as much as possible. So, it has been a good transition so far.

SunPower response

It's delightful to see your satisfaction with the installation process. We hope you reach out any time you have a question in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 15, 2022

The experience has been good, so far. I like the obvious savings in payments and being off the grid in some sense. The money is saved because I'm off grid and I have an EV that I use to charge with SunPower. That makes me more comfortable as well for charging my car.

SunPower response

What a wonderful review! We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with our products. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: April 14, 2022

The installers came, put the system in, it worked, and they were done. It was very simple. We've had one complete billing cycle since they installed the system and we got a $130 credit on our power bill instead of a $130 bill this last month.

SunPower response

We are delighted to hear of your savings. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: April 13, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was pretty smooth. It was a little overwhelming at first, but there was a lot of check-ins as far as the SunPower team is concerned. They do pretty much all of the work. So, that was good. The crew that came out was great. They were friendly and they got the job done. It was a very big job. It took a little more than a day.

SunPower response

We appreciate the feedback, Sarah. It is great to read you are satisfied with the service our team has provided you, and hope you reach out anytime you have a question in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 12, 2022

I love SunPower. I got a better feeling from the salesperson and good feedback from referrals. Also, the system is maintenance free. 100% of my electric has been paid for, which is great. I tell everyone I meet it's the greatest thing I ever did.

SunPower response

Edward, we are happy to read your expectations have been met or exceeded with every SunPower experience. We appreciate the recommendations and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 11, 2022

The crew from SunPower was great. The output is as projected. So, we're realizing cost savings.

SunPower response

We're delighted to read the system has met your expectations and that you are enjoying your solar savings, Steven. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 8, 2022

We had 17 Solar Panels and a Tesla PowerWall2. We still had big electric bills and that makes no sense here on Maui where our energy comes from oil. So to improve our home, community and overall environment, we contacted Rising Sun, LLC for a quote to add enough solar panels and an additional PowerWall to reduce our impact as completely as possible. Result we added and additional 16 Sunpower 360 Solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter (to load share with the total 33 panels) and an additional Tesla PowerWall2. I'm sure, we have the right-sized system now for our energy needs. Thanks to a great team at Rising Sun.

SunPower response

Richard, we appreciate your feedback and it is great to see we can help you with your solar goals. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

SunPower Company Information