Get Started

2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (358 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I've already written a review of my OVERALL experience with SunPower (love it/them) and I turned to solar because I could finally afford to and it helps our Earth. My recent experience, which is what this review is about, is because my monitoring system wasn't working properly for a few days. I called and the team got right on it. My issue had to be escalated, which I received an email about the next day, and by the second day, the issue was resolved. Great customer service-- love the updates and am satisfied with the communication. Thank you!

SunPower response

Hi Laura, thanks for the review and update. We are happy to see that you received great customer care from our team to have your issue resolved. Our team always strives to provide great service to our customers. If you ever need assistance with anything in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

We started the process with SunPower in spring and it wasn't until late August or the beginning of September that it got turned on. That kinda made us mad. We lost a couple of really good months. The enrolment was a lot of paperwork and going back and forth. It was getting ridiculous. But most of the reps are very courteous.

SunPower response

Bernard, we sincerely apologize for your previous experiences and any inconveniences that have occurred. We are happy to hear about your positive experiences with our reps and appreciate the feedback. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I wanted to save money so I bought a total panel install with $0 out of pocket and I have had it for 3 months. After my install was done I have not paid 1 cent in power bills. I do not have gas so everything is electric. My payment on my system is $75 to $100 a month less than what I would have paid for electricity every month anyway and now my house is worth the price of the system more. I cannot say how much I love Sun Power and Terrence ** is the man to talk to. I know I wanted Solar but heard of horror stories, but can assure you EVERYONE I have dealt with was super professional and and I am super happy with my system. Note: I did not do the battery back-up system but I may upgrade to it later.

SunPower response

Hi Dave, we are so appreciative of your fantastic feedback and to read your SunPower success story! Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered! We are delighted to hear of your savings and are excited to have you part of the SunPower family. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

We decided to go solar to save money. Typical monthly bills over $500. Our first bill with solar power was $129. That says a lot right there without getting in to lease fees. It took considerable money out of Eversource pockets....

SunPower response

Hi Gregory, thanks for the review. We are delighted to see that the panels are bringing in the results you expected. Thank you for choosing SunPower as your solar energy provider and welcome to the family. Feel free to contact us if there's anything we can assist you with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Everything about the HES Solar Panel purchase went without a clique. We are very pleased with the way this project went! The sales, project management, installation, and financial personal all performed at an excellent level of satisfaction. We have had no difficulties with the HES Solar product.

SunPower response

Hi Dennis, thanks for the amazing review. We are so happy to see you satisfied with the purchase process and the panel's performance. Feel free to reach out for anything we can help with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I've had my solar for over a year now and love it. The only issue I have is them changing the Sunpower monitoring. The old system will be discontinued on 12/31/21. I had downloaded the new MySunpower monitoring system, but I forgot my password so I am unable to access it. I tried to reset my password, but so far no response.

SunPower response

Hi Allen, thanks for being part of SunPower. I apologize for the experience you had so far with us. We have located your account and a support executive specialist will contact you for further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

We decided to move forward with Solar for two very common reasons A) to reduce our carbon imprint as much as possible and B) to save money wherever we could. We chose Ambrose due to its proximity to us as well as recommendation. We could not be more pleased at this point with the timeliness, professionalism received so far. Service only turned on 4 days ago.

SunPower response

Hi, Phil and Michelle thank you for the kind words. We are delighted to see that Ambrose provided great customer care and your system was set up in a quick manner. Congrats on going solar! Feel free to reach out if you have any needs we can assist with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

I had nothing but a good experience with SunPower. I dealt with a number of people and everyone was very professional and very knowledgeable. One of my concerns was the penetration to the roof. I didn't want any leaks. The installation crew penetrated the roof 27 times and they explained to me how they penetrate and how there won't be a leak. They were right. I went through some serious rains and nothing. The panels look beautiful and they perform beautifully.

The panels were installed in June. We have sun all day and there are no obstructing trees. I have central air and I ran the air conditioner the whole time. I had two bills from the electric company, which normally would have been $300. The bills were now around $50 to $60. I'm donating more to the grid than I use. I outlaid $17,000 in cash and I'll become whole again in six and a half years. After that, I will have free electricity for the next 19 years. It’s awesome.

SunPower response

Thanks for the amazing review, Earl. We are so happy to see that installation was taken care of in a professional manner and you are saving money. Seeing customers satisfied with our product brings us such great joy. Please contact us if there is anything we can assist with in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

We have a good friend in Santa Clarita who's a contractor for SunPower and we tried to get him to do the work. However, we were outside of his service area because we live in Santa Barbara. He said they’re great panels. I didn't do a lot of comparing the specs but just based on the reputation. We got a proposal in January of this year from Cepi Power Solutions and we were to go live in September, so it was about an eight-month process, and part of that was getting the financing approval. Once the finance was approved and the contractor had his instructions to proceed, then he had to order the parts. He took care of all that. He did the permitting, he did the plan and he subcontracted with a roofer. Then, a lot of it was waiting for the permit to get approved, so it was out of his control.

One thing I like about SunPower is their low profile. I've seen a lot of solar panels on roofs that look very ugly because they look like they were just tacked on. In our case, they removed the clay tiles. They put down asphalt shingle. Then they put the solar panels over the asphalt shingle. The SunPower panels are about the same level as the remaining clay tile so it's not even noticed when one is looking up. So, very happy with the aesthetics of the project. I’d recommend SunPower.

SunPower response

Hi Bob, we appreciate the kind words! Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. It's great to hear that the installation service went smoothly, and we welcome you to the SunPower family. If you have any issues with the system please feel free to contact us. We'd be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Enrolling with SunPower was an excellent experience. The installation was seamless. On the day of installation, the guys came. I'm very satisfied that I went solar.

SunPower response

We appreciate the feedback, Gary. It's a pleasure to have you as a customer we hope you enjoy your system. Feel free to reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

SunPower is a solid company, not a fly-by-night person coming in and starting up with a fad. I feel secure in that and I haven't had any issues with them or with the panels.

SunPower response

Thanks for taking the time out to post a review. We are glad you are enjoying your panels and have not had any issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there are any problems in the future.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Everything with the company that did the installation, SolarTech, was perfect. There has been a dramatic change in my energy bill.

SunPower response

It's a pleasure to have you as part of SunPower, Frank. We appreciate you taking the time out to provide us with your feedback it means a lot to us. If you have any needs in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

The two and a half things that impressed me about SunPower were the production capability of what appeared to be the efficiency of the units, the quality and breadth of the warranty, and that the product was fairly attractive being all black. We have a very classic colonial home and I can put them on the detached garage, which is showing to the south. And so while they'd be a little bit visible, they wouldn't be all that overpowering and distracting. Because of the size of the surface, I wanted very efficient units, so I didn't have to have too many panels.

Another thing I liked was that they had a master installer who was well-regarded by SunPower. Things went pretty well. It took longer than I had anticipated to get the final light off of the system but that's the way it is.

SunPower response

Thanks for taking the time out to post a review, Bangert. We strive to always provide exceptional service and products to our customers. It brings us joy to see you are satisfied with your experience so far. Thank you for choosing SunPower as your solar energy provider. Don't hesitate to contact us for any issues that come up in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

The quality of SunPower's product is superior. But I had several issues with the installer, Freedom Solar. One was timeliness, they were short-crewed, and there was poor communication. The burden fell on me to bug them and say they needed to finish the installation. That happened three times. When they installed the panels, they wired it incorrectly so we didn't pass inspection. They had to come back and correct that. When they turned on the meter, they had the wrong meter selected so my numbers were not reading correctly. It took me three phone calls to get that corrected. Finally, I never had my closing conference. It fell upon me to bug them and say they needed to schedule that. I got that through to them and I got an email yesterday to do the closing conference.

On top of all of that, I was frustrated with my salesman. He sold the product to me then washed his hands off everything. Every time I tried to call him and ask where we were on things, he didn't know. He pushed it back to me. Up to the last closing conference, I kept saying I wasn't scheduled yet. As a salesman, he should have been on top of that. On the whole, I've been pleased with SunPower as a product but not with the installer.

SunPower response

Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback it helps us improve our services even more. I apologize for the experience you had with our authorized dealer it is good to see that your closing conference is set up now. If you have any issues in the future with your system please contact us. Our team would be more than happy to assist you. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We looked at a lot of different companies and then ended up with two different companies, and we liked the presentation by SunPower better. We're extremely satisfied having it. Our bills are lower now.

SunPower response

We are delighted to hear of your savings, Gary. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered! It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Customer service has been fabulous. They were professional from the start and they did an outstanding job with the information I had. Sometimes we have a power outage with solar. Once we're hooked to the grid, then when the power goes out, it goes out for everybody. It doesn't continue running for the people because we're kicking into the grid. But I'm extremely happy that we got the solar. It's definitely prevented us from some huge bills during the summertime.

SunPower response

We are so happy to hear about your experience with your system, Donna. Thank you so much for helping us change the way our world is powered! If you are still having trouble frequently with outages, we do offer SunVault battery options to help keep your home powered. If that is something you would be interested in check out our blog post on it here for more information: http://ow.ly/BWn150EUVSk

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

SunPower seemed to be the best on the market at the time. One of the questions that everybody asked was about the costs, and I'd rather pay the loan for the panels than pay the power company, and to install a large enough project that at the end of the year, it's going to be net-zero as far as an energy company is concerned, and that was the path that we took. The installation went smoothly considering that we're in the middle of a pandemic and all the supply chain issues. EmPower did a good job of communicating. They were available when I needed them or if have a question. I really like the fact that we're a greener home than before. My carbon footprint is smaller. I'm contributing to helping improve things on the planet. We're all very happy with the decision that we made in our household. Also, we're setting a good example for our children.

SunPower response

We are so privileged to be able to read stories like yours. Thank you for the kind review and feedback on your experience. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. Please reach out to us if any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you and your family for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I like SunPower's reliability and its name brand. It seemed to have quality associated with it. It also has a good warranty. The installation went smoothly. The only thing that held it up was some permitting and the power company. But the installers were very professional, worked very quickly, and got the system that we wanted up. I've been satisfied with it. I feel good that even though I spent a little more money than I could have with another vendor, if anything ever happens to the system, even though it’s working well now, I can just call SunPower and they’ll take care of it.

SunPower response

Hi David, I apologize that you had to wait longer than anticipated for some of the permitting processes. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. We are thrilled to hear of your satisfaction with your SunPower system. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Getting fully set up took a while and that was just because of issues in the city. But then the panels were installed quickly. The installers did a good job. There was one that came a second time that put a decent scratch on our house, but everything else was fine and seems to be working properly. The experience was really decent with SunPower with the one exception that the person who came out and talked to me at first was very responsive. I also asked questions in an email about batteries and I was answered once saying that there was more information they wanted to send to me, and it was never sent even when I asked again, so that was disappointing. It's been over a month and a half now and I haven't gotten an answer.

SunPower response

Hi Cynthia, we are so happy to hear about your experience with the installation and how amicable your installer was. I went ahead and opened a case on your behalf to get you the information you have been waiting for. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the future. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

My experience with SunPower has been mostly positive. We have 23 panels because we were told that that would give us 105% of our annual utilization. We had a couple of people come out and do the site assessment. It was over the course of a day. People jumped up on the roof and installed all the panels. Four days later, our energy provider came out and validated everything. It was another week after that that they got turned on. Since then, my electrical bill has been lower.

SunPower response

Hi Dimitri, thank you for the amazing review. We are delighted to see that you had a wonderful experience with us and had no issues getting your new panels installed. Congrats on going solar and being part of the SunPower family. Feel free to contact us if you have questions or concerns in the future. Thank again!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I've been wanting to do solar for a while and SunPower was the most compatible company that I wanted to do with. They had good financing and the installation guys did an impeccable job. Overall, they were right on the ball.

SunPower response

Welcome to the SunPower family, Chris! We are so appreciative of your excellent feedback and feel privileged to read your SunPower success story! It is an honor to know that your SunPower installation team earned such high praises. Don't hesitate to reach out in the future with any questions or concerns. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I liked that I didn't have to borrow 40,000 or $50,000 to put solar in because SunPower is rented. By renting it, they own it, they maintain it, they monitor it. If a panel goes out, they know exactly which one and they come out and replace it or fix it. They looked at our electric bill for over the whole year, and then they calculated how many panels I would be getting. I've only had it in about two months. But so far, it's been doing good. I have already recommended them to people.

SunPower response

Hi Charles, thank you for submitting such a stellar review. We are excited to have you part of the SunPower family. It is always a delight to see clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Congratulations on going solar and helping us create a more sustainable future! Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

We wanted to save money and help the environment while doing it and SunPower has the best solar panels in the market. Sleek-looking and highly efficient. We are very satisfied with our A 410 series panels, they are producing more than %100 of our energy needs

SunPower response

We are so glad to see how pleased you are with your panels, Bego. It is wonderful to hear you are producing more energy than you require! Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I installed SunPower panels about 14 years ago on my roof and I've been very happy. They had no issues for 14 years and instead of adding new panels, I needed to rip and replace because I wanted more power. I removed the old one and installed their panels in early July. I'm very happy with SunPower's solar panels and I would recommend the contractor that came here, Freedom Solar, who gave the panels to someone who could reuse them instead of recycling them. The only thing is their monitoring system does not allow me to have per panel monitoring while the competing solution from Clean Solar, an LG set of panel and a different set of inverter would have allowed me to have a full solution that could monitor per panel.

SunPower response

Hi Christophe, thank you for being part of SunPower for so long and leaving such a wonderful review for us. We are glad to see that you were able to replace your old panels with new ones without any issues. Sorry to hear that there isn't an option to monitor individual panels. Our team of engineers is planning on implementing this feature sometime in the future. Again thank you for the feedback please contact us if you need ever need help.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I went solar to save money over the long run; being able to simultaneously help the environment/reduce emissions was a bonus. All my dealings were with Renova and not Sun Power; however, I did pay attention to the solar cells themselves (having a history working with amorphous silicon solar cells). I was impressed with their efficiency both initial and in late life. The installation went smoothly and my first month's electrical bill was $7.98 compared to friends and neighbor's bills that approached $1000. I have and will continue to recommend Renova and Sun Power to friends.

SunPower response

What a wonderful review, Marvin! We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with our products. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered! We appreciate you recommending your friends and family and we hope you don't forget, you can earn cash for referrals through the Share SunPower program. Here is a link: http://ow.ly/gWX650FfkQW

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

We went solar to reduce our electric bills significantly and to help the environment. The Tesla powerwalls also gives us an emergency backup source against electric interruptions from the grid. We have not seen our first reduced bill yet as the system has only been operational for less than a month. Rising Sun Solar is recommended as an installer.

SunPower response

Thank you for the wonderful review, Robert! If you don't see a bill reduction within the next few weeks, please reach out to our customer service team so that we can make sure everything is performing properly and up to standard. We truly appreciate you choosing SunPower, and thank you for helping make the world greener!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

To save money on electric cost and help the world by going greener. I use to have a solar company and have always look at ways to go greener. I have changed all lights to LED, made the home tighter for the winter and conserve energy anytime I can.

SunPower response

Thanks for sharing, Kim! We appreciate your steps to help make the world a greener place to live.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

They were timely, clean, & courteous. What more can you ask for? They kept in touch with us, & within a couple of months had everything up & running. They were quiet, & cleaned up after they were finished. We would recommend them. Also something I never thought to ask was the rate that the panels deteriorate. Check them out.

SunPower response

We are thrilled to hear how well the install went, Karen! Communication is key, and nothing makes us happier than to hear our team kept you updated and satisfied every step of the way. Thank you for the stellar review and for choosing SunPower!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Solar helps reduce our environmental footprint. This is especially important in current times. SunPower panels' quality is industry leading and the panels look sleek and do the job. The mobile app to monitor performance is easy to use. Would recommend to seriously consider SunPower panels if they are considering a solar project.

SunPower response

We appreciate your passion for reducing our environmental footprint, Vikas. Thank you for the glowing review of our app and panels. We're here to answer any questions that come up in the future, thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I chose to go solar to reduce my electricity costs and to have the ability to add battery backup. The SunPower product has been exceptional and I started saving money immediately. Best product out there! I would recommend Sunpower to anybody looking for quality and great proven service.

SunPower response

Hi Rick, we are delighted to hear about your electric savings since switching to solar with SunPower. We truly appreciate the recommendation and glowing review! Thank you for choosing SunPower.

SunPower Company Information