4.3/5 (379 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: July 1, 2022

SunPower by Precis installed my solar system in December of 2021. I intentionally delayed writing this review until I had the opportunity to truly experience its performance. We now have 6+ months of system performance—and the performance is OUTSTANDING! So far, I have enjoyed three monthly utility billings that were actually $0. Projections are that I can run my A/C 24-hrs/day during the summer with a cost that is only one-third of what I was paying before solar.

SunPower panels were favorably rated, have exceeded the expected (& guaranteed) output of power, and were carefully & professionally installed by Precis personnel. I was particularly impressed with the willingness of everyone, at Precis, to understand and fully answer any and all questions that arose during the selection and installation process. My panel arrays sit at a minimal height above the roof with most conduiting within the attic space—which minimizes unsightly conduit across peaks and roof surfaces.

SunPower response

Wow! We love hearing solar stories like this! We're so glad to have you on our growing team of world savers, Jerome.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I am very satisfied with going solar. I have a few issues, but I'm sure they'll be resolved. I had an issue with trying to log on to SunPower’s website. It allowed me to log on once, then I could never get on it again. It just asked me the same questions and goes around a loop. But I haven't tried for a while. Also, the app doesn't work particularly well at the moment. It doesn't give the right information and it hasn't done for a while now. What the app is telling me is just what I'm downloading solar. It’s not telling me what I'm using and what's being pushed back to the grid and what portion of the grid I’m using. But SunPower said they’re updating it and when I emailed them to query it, I was told they will get back to me within 36 to 72 hours but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services, and we hope you enjoy the new solar system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was seamless as well as when the installation was done. I had a few questions since I started the service with them, one of which has not been resolved. But other than that, it has been fine. I’ve referred them to four other people.

SunPower response

Thank you so much for sharing your SunPower experience. When you have a moment, please email us at customersuccess@sunpowercorp.com with your contact details and your unresolved question. We will reach out to provide you with assistance and work towards a resolution. We value your business, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Their enrollment process was easy. The techs were great. I was very pleased.

SunPower response

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are delighted to hear that the entire process went smoothly for you. Please feel free to reach out if there is something we can assist you with in the future.

Original review: June 22, 2022

System installed 2016; Operational Feb 2017. All Inverters were replaced in May 2017. On June 8, 2022 all monitoring communication from PSV5 unit ceased. Called SunPower. They stated 3g quit working because discontinued signal. Tried to Login to the New Application to update Wifi Information. It would not allow me to do so. I was told by SunPower that it was not possible for me to update my WIFI information and they have no solution at this time. I was told, "They are working on it".

We have a system that is 5 years old and CANNOT MONITOR IT WITH THE NOW DEFECTIVE PSV5 MONITOR. The equipment has a 10 year warranty; as I understand. Why not Replace equipment with correct model so I can use my system as outlined in my purchase agreement? Some help please. Purchasing this expensive system was a huge mistake. Full of headaches.

SunPower response

D, we are sorry to hear your expectations have not been met. We understand your frustration and are looking into this. We have created a case on your behalf. After evaluation an Executive Support Specialist will be assigned and reach out. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: June 20, 2022

SunPower is made in the USA, and it's very close. If we have any issues, their headquarters is an hour and a half down the road. Also, people were very informative. The rep made it easy to understand and gave us a lot of good data to research. He was very good. We watched them put up our solar panels and they kept us up to date all the time about what they would do. It was a good experience. Our electric bill was $52 last month. Even with the financing and the $52, it was still way cheaper than what we had been paying.

SunPower response

We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with your SunPower system. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: June 18, 2022

Everything went smoothly with SunPower. Professional people took care of me, answered my questions and gave me some advices. I was impressed with the knowledge of the person in Austin who helped me. He gave me support in the few times that I had to contact him. The only thing is, SunPower’s rep didn’t mention that I had to clean the panels once in a while. I didn't know until later. I haven’t done that yet but I need to contact a company that is doing that. It has to be professional. You can't do it yourself.

SunPower response

Hi Eugenio, thanks for taking the time to leave a wonderful review for us. We are delighted to see that experience has gone smoothly so far during the process of getting the panels. Feel free to contact us if there are any questions or concerns we can address in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Signed up for Sunpower last year because my friend said he had a good experience with them. I had just bought my first home and was very excited to join the solar community. I reached out to a referred rep and got an appointment for an estimate. I looked at the cost for an 8kw system and it said $37,000. That’s about $4.55 a kw. The rep assured me I was getting a fantastic deal and I would get a detailed breakdown of the costs later and it would make sense. I signed a tablet and that’s was it. Apparently, this one page proposal was the entire contract.

Well, I never received that “detailed breakdown” and the rep stopped responding. I have found out that the average cost for my same Sunpower setup is 28-29k, about 3.30-3.60 a watt. I paid 4.55. In other words, the rep price gouged me over 8k. Unbelievably deceitful and just completely took advantage of me. I feel horrible about the situation and considering exploring legal options. Do not go to Sunpower if you want a fair, decent sales petiole.

SunPower response

Hi, we apologize for the experience you've had and would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns.

Original review: June 13, 2022

The installation took way longer than it should have, but with the caveat that it was the first time they had done the job in the county that I'm at. They ran into some problems with permits. We had to work on some easement issues because I have an irrigation district pipeline that runs through my property. So we had to get some easement stuff done. The installation took about seven months, which they told me it would be three months at the most. I gave them a little bit of grace on that because of the new county thing. There were some things that could have been done better though. But they were responsive and very professional. The couple of issues that I had got settled and the communication was good. The installation was great. They did good work. I love solar. I'm crushing it making power. I pay 200 bucks a month less than I did for PG&E.

SunPower response

Hi Christopher, thank you so much for providing us with great feedback. We are sorry to hear that there was a delay with installation. We hope you enjoy your system, please keep us updated on your experience and if there is anything we can address in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: June 12, 2022

Mainly to save ourselves from the pitifully run ERCOTT blackouts and improve the environment. I was very happy with Sunpower service; the only issue was how long (too long) it took to get permits and for us to be able to sell back to the grid.

SunPower response

We appreciate the feedback and review, Jeffrey. We are happy to read you are satisfied with our product and service. If you have any further questions or concerns you would like us to follow up with you, please send us a private message with your account and contact information and we will have a representative reach out. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: June 12, 2022

Everything was pretty smooth. The installation was pretty painless.

SunPower response

Hi Mike, thanks for the glowing review. We are thrilled to hear that installing process went as expected and the system is saving you money that is what we love to hear from our customers. Let us know if there is a question or concern we address later down the road.

Original review: June 11, 2022

In the fall of 2021, I contacted Sunpower to obtain a consultation to possibly add solar panels to our home. In short order, I was contacted to schedule a Zoom consultation. The salesperson appeared knowledgeable and willing to help me find a solution that worked for me. He designed a solar array that would generate about 90% of our annual energy usage, explained payment options, and helped me understand the federal tax benefit. I confirmed the benefit with our accountant and signed the agreement shortly thereafter. Installation was painless. We had a one or two-day delay due to weather, but otherwise, the installation went smoothly. We have gone through 4-5 months of energy bills since installation, and we're seeing the projected benefits. I chose Sunpower based on its history in the industry and public reviews. I would recommend them if you are considering solar power.

SunPower response

Hi, we are so appreciative of your excellent feedback and your SunPower success story! If there is anything we can assist with in the future, don't hesitate to reach out. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: June 11, 2022

I like the quality of their product. Their solar panels were above par compared to the others. They put together the packet that went to our HOA to get all the approvals. They also took care of the packet that went to the local government to get the permits. So I just was on the sidelines and was in the loop, but they did everything from start to finish. I was very pleased with the timing. I had it from the time that we signed the deal, which was the end of December to where it was fully installed and on the roof by February. We flipped the switch by the end of February. So it went very fast. Sunrun put together kind of a forecast what my electric footprint would be and what my cost would be based on the amount of electricity that we consumed, and they were very accurate.

SunPower response

Hi Dale, thank you for taking the time out to leave a wonderful review for us. It brings us joy to see that the entire process went great without any hiccups. We hope you enjoy your panels and the benefit that comes along with them. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there are any needs we can take care of for you. Thanks again!

Original review: June 10, 2022

We had been thinking about adding solar to our home for a number of years, but thought it would be difficult given the age and condition of our house. SunPower handled the design and permitting process for us and the installation went seamlessly. The installation was about one year ago, and we are completely happy with the results. We are saving money on our utility bill and are very glad to be using renewable energy. We only wish we had decided to do it earlier.

SunPower response

Hi, we are so happy to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower system and how smooth your installation went. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Please reach out in the future with any questions that may arise or any additional feedback. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: June 10, 2022

The installation of our SunPower was very quick. I told them that I was leaving on the 24th of December and I didn't know when I would be back. I told them that, "If you're gonna do it, you got to do it while I'm home." On a Saturday, there were six guys out here and they installed it and it was done. Financing it was 18,000. But if I paid cash, it was 15,000 and they gave me a $1,000 debit card. It only cost me $14,000. I'm totally satisfied. I haven't paid any electric bills in six months now. I'd recommend it to anybody. They did well. The panels are up there working. I also have an app on my phone and I can see how much power I'm putting out. I'm very happy and proud of what SunPower did.

SunPower response

David, thanks for the review, and congrats on going solar! We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying better, cleaner energy with SunPower.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Sun Solar put solar panels are our home. Everyone was very respectful of our home and our time. They were very professional and everything went exactly as they said it would. I would definitely recommend the Sun Solar team for Sun Power.

SunPower response

Thanks for reaching out and congrats on going solar, James! We are so glad to read your recommendation and that you are enjoying better, cleaner energy with SunPower.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I got really tired of high electric bills. I now know and feel that the heavy weight has now been lifted off my shoulders. I pay one flat fee of $97 per month for my solar rental for 25 years and the electric bill taxes which have so far ranged between $5 - $7 per month. My solar panels produce more than enough kilowatt hours and have some left over. Every yearly (1 so far) anniversary I have received credit for my extra 3200 kwh that I had left over. They are the nicest and most fair company I have ever dealt with. The first one I picked I had to drop them because they kept reducing the amount of panels on my roof and the rental bill would go up 2.69% every year for 25 years!

SunPower response

Maria, thank you for sharing your solar story. It is wonderful to read about your savings and satisfaction with our system. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: June 9, 2022

Concerned about the environment. From start to finish SunPower did a great job. They made the process easy. Each step of the way there was really good communication. The website is easy to use. Hats off to Elizabeth and Mona. Also, the installation guys were so courteous and proficient in their work. I wish I had installed solar years ago!!

SunPower response

Dave, it was wonderful to read about your exceptional experience with our teams and products. Thank you for the feedback and for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: June 9, 2022

We went solar to help the environment. Ambrose Solar delivered a first class job. Sun Power was rated the highest. Many installers don't tell you which panels will be installed so be careful. I highly recommend both Sun Power and Ambrose.

SunPower response

We are thrilled to have earned your endorsement! Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: June 9, 2022

I was made aware during proposal phase of joining AAA to receive a perk but received no follow up. I joined AAA and submitted my policy ID to the proposal (sales) contact with Sunpower, but without response since the start of our NEM..,.

SunPower response

We apologize for your experience and would like to look into this further. Expect a private message momentarily. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I conserve use of electricity, so I wasn't interested in solar panels for cost savings; rather, to further efforts to save the planet. SunPower folks were professional and helpful. It did take several months between when I signed the contract and when the panels were installed—but their business is brisk, so that's ok. I recommend them whenever I hear someone's interested in solar.

SunPower response

Hi, thanks for the stellar review. We are excited to have you as part of the SunPower family, and it brings us joy to see customers satisfied with their transition to solar. Congratulations on going solar and helping us create a more sustainable future. Don't hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: June 7, 2022

The enrollment process with SunPower was very good from start to finish. It was very efficient. I’m extremely satisfied with the decision to go solar. It's been fantastic. I've been generating quite a bit of excess energy. SunPower has a wonderful app that you can track daily and they make high quality panels.

SunPower response

We appreciate all the wonderful things you had to say about your experience and product. It brings us joy to see customers like you satisfied with our overall service. We strive to provide the best in the industry. Let us know if there is a need we can take care of later down the road. Thanks again!

Original review: June 6, 2022

The SunPower reps answered all my questions and the experience was good. This was during the pandemic so we had a Zoom meeting and it went fine. I'm satisfied with going solar. If I had known earlier a few things, I would have tried to get an inverter installed as well as a battery. But I didn't ask the right questions regarding that. As far as the solar power unit, it decreased my electricity bill. I just want a little bit more information on the inverters, trying to draw power from the solar panel straight into the home rather than having it get sent to the electrical company. Basically, trying to be a little bit more off-grid.

SunPower response

Hi Ui, thank you for providing us detailed feedback on your experience so far this helps us out a lot. It's great to hear that the buying and installation process went great during the pandemic year. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call our Solar Advisors at 1-800-787-7693 for assistance. It's a pleasure to have you part of the SunPower family and thank you for choosing us as your solar provider.

Original review: June 5, 2022

SunPower's level of communication is amazing. The process was immensely easy and the installation was seamless. The system was very clean and it was great. I’m very satisfied with going solar.

SunPower response

We are glad to hear the installation process was easy and smooth for you, Andrew. Thank you for choosing, SunPower as a solar energy provider and helping us change how the world is powered. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything we can assist you with.

Original review: June 4, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was very easy to do and professional. It was online during COVID. Also, they had a great installation team. I had an issue with SunPower’s app not displaying the energy properly but they stayed on top of it and got it fixed. So, everything's great. I've referred several people because they were so easy to work with. Since switching over to solar, there has been a decrease in my electric bill, which is a good thing.

SunPower response

Hi Robyn, thank you for the amazing feedback. We are delighted to hear about the process of getting the panels and the amazing results you have been getting from the system. It always brings us joy to see customers saving money on their electric bills. We hope you continue to have a wonderful time with your panels and the benefits that come along with them. If there is a need we can assist you with, please reach out to us.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I've had Sunpower panels for 5 years. The panels are great, but the service is terrible. I recently bought new panels because I bought a EV. They put a new monitor when they installed the new panels in March. It has never worked properly, yet the latest "escalated" response is that they will try to get it fixed by mid June! They have been trying to "code" it since April. I can't get through to the actual person who is assigned to work on my case. Beware of this company because if anything goes wrong, you will spend hours on the phones and months waiting for a resolution.

SunPower response

We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I love my solar panels from SunPower. I liked dealing with their salespeople and the installation was great, too.

SunPower response

We are thrilled that you love your SunPower solar panels. We strive to give our customers the best-in-class service and products. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can assist with in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was very simple. Going solar was an exceptional decision. I have no electric bill anymore. When the install technicians were here, they were very informative. They told me what they were gonna do. They explained how everything worked. They came when they said they were coming, and they left on time. As far as I can tell, their work quality was very good. They kept me in pretty good communication when they had changes in schedule. There was a matter of availability of panels, and they kept me on top of that. And as far as the SunPower product, I went with the SunPower product because I did a lot of research on the panels and the overall product, and the quality of the unit. I thought that the household panels were the best with SunPower. They had the highest quality of performance.

SunPower response

We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. It's a true delight to hear of your satisfaction! We pride ourselves on our customer service, and see your experience has been no exception. Please contact us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: June 1, 2022

SunPower did the best job of selling solar energy systems. The install was pretty cool. They did a good job. We like having solar power. Our bill was going to be 282. We were on level pay and it was gonna be 282 this year and now, it's only the lease payment. So, it's worked out to our advantage so far.

SunPower response

We are delighted to see your satisfaction with your SunPower experience. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change how the world is powered.

Original review: May 31, 2022

SunPower was made here in America and they had the best panels. It didn't really matter to me where they were made, it's just the quality mattered, and they were the best quality. I loved having gone solar, but ever since I've done it, my electricity consumption went up because I bought an electric vehicle. I need a bigger system now, but that's of my own choosing.

SunPower Company Information