2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (358 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I went solar on June the 25th, and I've still got two bills from PG&E coming in while my solar is also being deducted. PG&E might be running late. So, that puts me in a bind. I have to pay two bills now. Instead of paying the 148 that I normally pay, I'm paying another $350 on top of that. That's been going on for two months now. I've taken the bills over to the person that installed my solar. They said they're working on it, but that does not do me any good because I just sent out another check to PG&E last night. I don't know why we have a lag time and I don't know if PG&E is ever going to reimburse me or who's going to reimburse. I might lose like $700 right there.

The SunPower salesman who came here was a very nice guy. He was not pushy at all. He's an excellent salesman. He really laid out all the plan to me, and I decided to go ahead and go with the lease. The installers were very professional, did a great job on my roof and cleaned up really well. I recommended SunPower to my neighbor and to three other people and they've all signed up.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

SunPower has been sending me reports from my other house that I left seven years ago, instead of sending me report for this house. I told them about it and I thought it straightened out, but I haven’t heard back from them about it. I haven't gotten any reports. I guess it's so popular now and so in demand, maybe they're getting a little too reckless with their work.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

They charged the first month to my checking account. Something got messed up because I want it to go to my savings account. I called them after one month and asked them if they could switch it over to the savings account and they said yes. But I haven't gotten my second month thing yet back from the bank to see if they charged it to my checking or my savings.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

We already had two companies come out and when we had Kathy from SunPower, she was the least pushy and the most informative of the bunch. She took the time to go through everything and explained how the system works and what was gonna happen. The only beef I had was they were really dirty in trying to get the solar panels installed. The panels were super dirty by the time they got turned on and I tried to get people out here to clean them but because of the pandemic, they don't have any labor. I had to buy some stuff and I had to do it myself. I'm 70 so that was a big task for me to go out and do it but that improved our production. It was like 8 something and it went to 10 something. It was a big difference having them cleaned. It's producing well and the app works very well.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I had some issues with the people that installed the panels. It took them forever to get out here and finish the installation. They're supposed to patch the driveway with concrete. The cut in the driveway was crooked, so I told them I wanted it straight and I wanted it to look decent. I called them three or four times and it took two months before they finally came out and patched it. But other than that, I don't have any issues with their panels or any of SunPower's equipment.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

A SunPower sales rep came out and showed us all the solar stuff. I had looked at four or five other companies and I was most impressed with the product that SunPower had that the gentleman showed in the in-house presentation. So far, I'm happy. It's pretty cool to be able to look on the website and I love the smartphone app.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

One time, I was confused about matching up the output of the system with what the local utility was showing. But I'm at peace with that now and that was with some help from the reps of Sunpower. I like the access to the internet, the information on the production and I look at that fairly regularly. There's one area of disappointment and it is not a problem with SunPower. But the local utility limits the capacity of my solar power to match my electric use for the year. I wish they wouldn't limit that because I would probably put more panels on.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

The installers put too many panels up and had taken them down, and did some damage to my roof. So the installation wasn't that great. But the product itself is really good. I like the fact that my electric bill has been zero for the past three months.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

My experience with Renova has been fantastic, from the start till the installation till the operation. The installers were professional. They came when they were supposed to. They did exactly what they said they were supposed to, and they followed up. I'm completely satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I'm happy to get solar. Enrolling with them was straightforward. My rep Nicole was awesome. SunPower is expensive but I get quality service and product. So, it's worth it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Both SunPower and the installer had been very, very good with any issues I have. I had an issue with the monitoring, but it was an issue with the installer. They had to reverse some wires, but then they kind of blamed it on SunPower and said in their documentation they had a tag wrong. But once they got that fixed, I'm very satisfied with it. The only thing is that I wish that I can do is to look at how much each panel is producing. I don't have access to that anymore. I could do that before but they kind of took that away. I would love to have that come back so I know that all the panels are really working well all the time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

The set up was pretty decent. The biggest pain point was the electricity service provider, Eversource, taking a lot longer than I expected them to. The SunPower dealer, SAVKAT, was very transparent about how long the wait time would be to get approval and scheduled for Eversource to come switch out the meter. They were pleasant to work with, very professional and did a high-quality install. I have friends and family that have solar and a lot of their installs were not as clean and as well done. SAVKAT was done for three weeks and inspections were done too. We were just waiting quite a while for Eversource.

Do you research on how much solar is going to cost to install and if you're really going to be saving money. Figure out what your breakeven point would be. It's not for everybody. We went with SunPower because they had the highest warranty and efficiency over time. It seemed like they were the leader in quality and performance. We're fortunate because we have geothermal heating and cooling, which is electric-based. So, our savings is at the mercy of Eversource and it diminishes each time there's an increase. So, if you have anything large-drawing, like a pool, or in our case, heating and cooling, going solar makes sense. But for others, it might not, especially if you're using natural gas for heating and cooking.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

The reps at SunPower were knowledgeable and informative. Everything went really well and it's been pretty good since I went solar.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

The big company out here has a partnership with Home Depot and with Costco. Price-wise, the pricing was pretty similar. But I chose SunPower because I felt like it was a slightly better value and I liked the look of the system better. It was all black. It didn't have some of the white parts that the other one did. So, I thought it would be less noticeable on the roof. But I would highly recommend SunPower to try to team up with local people or national brands to move their product. It would give more confidence to the end-user that they're going to be there if something goes wrong in five years.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

The actual solar part was great, except for the fact that after it was installed, I was told that the system will not support the air conditioner starting. I wasn't happy about that. It's all because it is a 120-volt system and an air conditioner requires a full 240 or a higher amount of voltage to kickstart. So the starting part is not going to happen with this system on the batteries alone. That's why my bill is still about $100, but my PG&E bill is not $300 or $400 like it would be since I've been running the AC all summer long.

The hook-up of the system was difficult. The installation crew had to make several trips and they needed the inspection, and the inspection found that they needed a ground wire. So then, that had to be installed. During the entire process, they changed their mind about placement. So then, more holes were dug for conduit boxes, and during that process, my septic system stopped working. It started overflowing into my backyard. I thought it was two separate events, but it wasn't. It had something to do with the guys fiddling around with the boxes and a fuse trip. One little tiny fuse needed to be turned back on and because it wasn't turned on, my septic system didn't work for months.

When I called the company, they came out and said, "Well, we don't understand what's wrong. Everything's working fine." Then they said, "Well, whatever the solar people did, they need to fix it." So the solar people came back two weeks later and they looked around and said, "Well, they can't find anything wrong with anything. Everything's fine." A week or so later, I had to call the septic guy back, and then he found that there was a fuse that has been tripped and it just needed to be reset. Then my septic system started working again. So that part wasn't cool.

Since I'm new to all this and I'm totally ignorant to the financing and the installation, I did not understand and fully appreciate the fact that I have to pay one-quarter of the full amount within the first 18 months or I will be charged an extra $100 a month for the remainder of the loan. That part wasn't fully explained. It's like an extra little caveat of the financing part. So once I understood that, it was great, because now, I know I have to pay $12,000 before September 2022 or an extra $100 is going to be tacked on to my financing as a fee alone for the remainder of the loan. So, $47,000 is going to turn into $70,000 very fast.

I have the $244 payment each month, and I thought that goes towards the loan. But I found out that the $244 a month is only the interest. If I want to pay towards the payment of the loan, I have to make that payment separate. So now, I'm trying to pay $1,244. This month has been kind of hard, so I haven't done it because I had a bunch of vet bills. So there was my solar $1,000 payment for this month. But as long as I keep paying it off like this or if I can pay $1,200 a month for the next four years, it'll get paid off.

The people from SunPower had to make a lot of trips back and forth. Every couple of weeks, it was, "Hi, we're from SunPower. We just need to check something." Then the next week, "Hi, I'm the supervisor," and then, "Hi, I'm the project manager." I was like, "Hi. When are you guys are just gonna do it?" But if I was to do it again, I would stick with SunPower because it's still the highest rated company and it's got the best reviews.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Enrolling with SunPower was all right. However, when I got it, I asked the gentleman about a backup supply in case we lose power and he said they didn't have it. But a lot of other outfits do and I heard they did, too. The other issue I had when we signed up was, we were going to be signed up for this promotion where we get $1,000 rebate and it took a while to get that. I finally had to tell them, “Either you're going to give it or you can get your panels off the roof.” So I finally got it. The decision to go solar was good. I could have probably got a little bit cheaper than what I'm paying now, but it is what it is.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Going through the installation of my SunPower product was painless. It was much faster than I thought it would be. The installation took less than 24 hours from the time they started. I had 28 panels put on my roof. I also had a home inspector come through after they've done the work, and he was very impressed with the work that the techs did. If you're looking to stay in your house long-term, going solar is the right decision.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Enrolling with SunPower was the easiest thing. The app sucks though. It didn't work for a while and it isn't very customer-friendly. It kicked me out and said I didn't have an account. Then I called the customer service through there. They had it routed and then finally, they routed it to a different team who couldn’t figure out anything. But the person who came on my last day, when they turned over the power, helped me with it a little bit. Then eventually, I came back online. I'm excited because my bill went from $900 a month to 250.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I decided to go solar to do better for the environment. It didn't really make financial sense, but may later if I get an electric car. Someday I will add back-up batteries but am waiting for a while in hope they will be better and cheaper. I had an amazing experience with SunPower. Great installers and very quick setup. I was amazed to get it all done in under two months.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I decided to go with solar when I had to install a new roof on my home. My electric bill has been $150-$300 per month since I moved in 5 years ago. I used SAVKAT in Southington, CT and my experience with them was top notch!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Decided after many years to go solar based on environmental concerns (already buying 100% renewable electricity) and to save some money. After going through various suppliers and plans, I decided on SunPower equipment based on the efficiency of their panels and their projected life over 20+ years. Picked my installer (Earthlight) based on reputation/ratings and price, and was very pleased with the installation and commissioning process. Initial scheduling took longer than expected (after the site inspection), but once scheduled, everything flowed smoothly. Their electrician even wired the system to provide capacity to add solar to a potential addition. Even our utility (Eversource - CT) was quick to provide and install the net metering device.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I worked with a guy named Doug. He was my sales rep. and he was very informative. I signed up with them over the phone. It wasn’t an in-person thing because of COVID. But as soon as we got everything going, he sent everything online and we got it all completed and got the whole process going. It was super easy. We scheduled an appointment. It was very easy to get ahold of people, and if I wasn't getting ahold of the person that I need to get ahold of, Doug was always available to reach out for me. The installation took two days. It was almost like the installers weren't even here. I heard footsteps on the roof every now and again. Other than that, that was about it.

Since having SunPower, my electricity is pretty much cut in half. My electric bill before was around 350 and it was cut down to 150. So that's more than what I was expecting. I'm producing more energy than what I'm paying on the financing. So it's more than paying itself off. It's pretty impressive. When I did my own research, SunPower had the highest quality solar panels. Also, they had a workmanship warranty, a roof warranty, and a solar panel warranty. All of them were 25 years. So if anything breaks, leaks, or doesn't produce enough energy than to what it was supposed to do, then they'll come out and fix it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Everything’s been going well with SunPower. I've looked at the app and I have not noticed as much of a difference but I am producing some energy and I know it’s going to offset some at this point. It’s kind of an offset because I have two air conditioning systems in my home. I kind of designed it so that it was just doing an offset for me.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I was very pleased to see that they had friendly customer service and a reasonably priced plan. I was able to get a number of quotes and it seemed like SunPower had the best overall offering. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I recently put an addition to the house with a brand-new roof that had a decent exposure. Then, I received an email from my job saying that they were going to kick in $1,000 towards my purchase of SunPower. I had also seen an infomercial about SunPower and had been googling it. So, I decided to make it happen. They used Google to verify that it was going to be a decent setup, but there was a tree that I wasn't sure about. When they came out and took a look, they said that the tree should go and I got rid of it. All in all, the process went fairly well but it took a little while to get through the red tape to get things going. And the biggest hold up online was because of setbacks from hedges. They deviated from the plan that they had drawn up originally, so they needed my utility company to sign off on that. It took weeks for that process to occur, but they went live pretty fast after that. Other than that, I haven't had any problems with the product.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

SunPower has the best product than other solar companies as far as quality of the panels. There were several companies I had come out and do estimates but the representative from SunPower was truly the best out of them. Even when they came and change my meter, the Nevada Power guy happened to be here and talked to him. He said he'd heard nothing but good stuff about them. I had the system put on last June and it took a while for it to build up. But thank goodness, I had a credit from my power bill so it evened things out. The last bill that I got was only $13. It hasn’t been any more than that. Therefore, I’m very, very happy. They promised I would not have a bill from Nevada Power and that was a determining factor. So far, so good, and I would refer them.

I feel very good about the installers that installed here locally but I'm not too crazy about the other people from the main office. We've been having some high winds and some storm. I thought it was thunder. Something was slapping on the roof. I thought one of the solar panels had come loose. I called the main office and they don't sound very caring. It sounds like they read a script to you. They target the problem and say, “They shall come and talk to you in 7 to 10 days.” I tell them, “I'm having a problem right now. I would have to wait 10 days for somebody to call me back and communicate?” They would say it might be sooner but it was very impersonal.

I never got any feedback whether they were sending somebody out to fix it, whether the installers contacted the main office and told them or anything. I'm the one who contacted the main office here in Las Vegas. It was not SunPower that did that. I called the installers and the secretary says that Mark, the owner, should give me a call in next couple days. They had somebody out here in the next couple days who went up there and it wasn't the actual solar panel. It was the electrical connections have come loose. But he said these things are geared up to 100-mile an hour wind. There's also a certain percentage that gets raised every year. This is the year mark and it went up a couple of dollars which was in the contract. But I have all this paperwork emailed to me. I asked was the payment still gonna come out of the account but they were very hesitant to answer questions. It doesn't sound like they know the answer to the questions.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

First, my power company is screwing me. Second, SunPower is not helping. Third, I'm still paying an electric bill and generating over 1,600 kwh more than I use every month and being billed for "consumption". There should be a law against this, but here I am. Now I am providing power to the electric provider and STILL PAYING A BILL even though I generate more than I use. Was paying average of $217/mo for electricity. Now have bill for $197.00 for solar equipment and STILL HAVE AN ELECTRIC BILL FOR $100 give or take. Talk about inflation...and deceit. If I had known this...things would have been different.

SunPower response

Hi Eric, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to better understand your concerns and work towards a positive resolution.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

SunPower has got the best panels out there that's why I chose them. It's a great team and very knowledgeable. I've had the system installed for little over a year and I had five extra panels installed eight months ago. That adjusted my bill down to about zero.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I've been very happy with everything that's gone on including the quoting and the process of getting the panels installed. The installation was very quick. It was done in less than two days. I did the 19 SunPower offered and I pay $11.23 a month for electric. When I call, I get quick answers too. The only problem I got is with the bank that SunPower referred me to. They're still hard to deal with and they don't want to take responses. They overpaid $50.03 on my last payment and it took them four months to pay me back.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Enrolling with SunPower was pretty easy. The service rep explained a lot of stuff but when reading the contract, I don't really understand all the technical part of it. But what I need to know, I understand completely. So it was not a problem. The reps also answered all my questions and they called every time they were coming out. For the installation, a group of guys showed up and worked outside. I had the guest door in the garage opened up for them to go in and out. They were very clean and efficient. So far, our system is great and it's really cool. The solar is powering my house and exporting it to the grid. So even though I see that it's a little cloudy outside, it's still pulling enough of the energy out of the sun.

SunPower Company Information