SunPower

4.6/5 (389 ratings)

About SunPower Reviews

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: March 6, 2022

We got 25 solar panels installed through SunPower, and we're over-producing. The lead guy who managed the project was the one we talked to and with him, things were very good. At the project manager level, the project was done okay but their communication could have been better. The installers were okay. It was just the city permit was delayed because the city was saying that the plans submitted were different than what was installed.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services, and we hope you enjoy the new solar system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: March 5, 2022

We had already gone with SunPower and we're happy to return. We were happy with everybody that we did work with before. They put together a system for us, and it's a little undersized, but we knew they were guessing so we weren't unhappy with it. We reached back out to them and said we wanted an upgrade. We wanted to add some more panels, and we’re thinking about storage. We were producing our own energy for a while and our monitoring wasn't working for a while, which was a very simple solution that I should have thought of. The equivalent of turning it off and turning it back on again was the most obvious solution and it worked immediately. We're producing the amount of power that I'm expecting. It looks like we're gonna have no PG&E bill even after gas next year. The storage system is doing its job and offsetting most of our peak usage. So, we're really happy with it.

SunPower response

Hi, it is terrific to hear your success story! We are so proud to hear how happy you are with your system and that you have expanded its depth and it continues to live up to your expectations. Congratulations on your savings, and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was a very early adopter of solar power, and at that time, the life of solar panels was only about 15 years. I had exhausted the life of my old solar panels. They weren't really working anymore. It was time to get new solar panels. I asked around and SunPower was highly recommended. So, I went ahead and worked with them. SunPower is an amazing company. I've never worked with a company as great as them. Their rep was super honest. As far as the installation, they were way ahead of schedule. They were super easy to work with. Everyone was really nice.

SunPower response

We are so privileged to be able to read stories like yours. Thank you for the kind review and feedback. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thank you again for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: March 3, 2022

When I first got the system installed, there was an issue that I would not necessarily have known about. They proactively reached out to me, sent some people to resolve it, and I didn't have to do anything. They also credited me since my system was not generating what it should have been for that period of time when it was not functioning properly.

SunPower response

Thank you for the fantastic feedback! It is nice to hear that you had a great experience with our customer service team, and they provided excellent support. We are glad that the issues you were having before are resolved now. If you have any concerns in the future, please reach out to us for help. Thank you!

Original review: March 2, 2022

I like the fact that they had their warranty combined with one company rather than spread over multiple companies. The installers were really good. They accomplished the job. But thay have a lot of room of improvement as far as communication. Also, I wasn't impressed with the sales rep. He was very pushy and not respectful of my feedback. But the solar is installed and it's working great. I'm completely happy with SunPower. If I install solar on my other house, I'm gonna use SunPower again.

SunPower response

Original review: March 1, 2022

The whole process was easy. So far, so good.

SunPower response

Your feedback is very appreciated, and it's a delight to see your satisfaction. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

They did as they said they would do it. They did it quickly. They were professional. The system came quickly. The service was much better than Tesla. SunPower was great. They were really responding very quickly. There was some paperwork, but not that much. My electricity bill dropped hundreds of dollars and now I pay about $30 a month.

SunPower response

Hi, we are so happy to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower system and how smooth the installation went. Please reach out in the future with any further questions that may arise or any additional feedback. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Welcome aboard!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

They answered all my questions and any concerns I had, they would let me know the truth and not just make something up. Also, the warranty is perfect. They have a great warranty package and they stand behind their product.

SunPower response

Hi, thanks for the stellar review. We are excited to have you part of the SunPower family. It brings us such joy to see customers satisfied with their transition to solar. Congrats on going solar and helping us create a more sustainable future. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

The process took too long. I was told at first the system would be ready by the end of November of last year. They got it going in the middle of January. So there were long, long delays. There were some appointments that weren't kept. So that was very, very disappointing. They kept telling me that the local people and the installer were coming, but then they didn't show up. That went on two or three times. Then there's a substantial software problems with SunPower, where periodically, it shows that negative power and usage, and that is continuing up until now. The installer said they don't have anything to do with that. They only get what SunPower sends them.

One time they sent somebody over to meet with the building inspector because they had to meet him on the site. But the guy didn't know what he was doing. It was like they just sent somebody off the street to go over there and meet with the building inspector, and the building inspector didn't do anything. He said, "You don't have the forms filled out. You don't have this or that." He had no idea what the form was. So that was disappointing. That cost us a week or two, and that happened a couple of times. They should have sent somebody out who knew what they were doing to meet with the inspector.

One time the inspector came out, and their person wasn't even there. Apparently, that was because they said they weren't warned in time to get somebody out there. Maybe if I lived a lot closer to where they came from, that might have been better. But they said they only had half an hour warning and then it takes more than an hour to get out to the place.

The actual installation seemed to go real well. When the guy showed up and put them on, it seemed to work real well. They've had to come back about four times for various issues. But they told me it wasn't the panels themselves, but it was software issues that they were having troubles with. When I called SunPower, they said everything was working fine. The system is producing electricity. So that part seems to be working out okay.

SunPower response

Hi Charles, we apologize for the experience you've had. We would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The installers were prompt and good. They got the job done. Now I have enough panels to cover all my energy needs. The only thing I'm lacking right now is the batteries to back it up. They did their job and they did it tidily. But I was concerned that the extra work they had to do was totally redundant and unnecessary due to the inspector. The inspector had to flex his muscles and make them do it. He was being a little bit excessive.

SunPower response

Hi, we are happy to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower installers. We are glad that any concerns have been resolved now. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way the world is powered! Welcome aboard!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS NASTY COMPANY. They installed their panels on my roof and now I have an infestation of pigeons that are laying nests under my panels. There are dozens of them and they are crapping their acid crap everywhere. I wasn’t offered pigeon nesting, but they said that would have been an add-on anyway. I got panels to save money, not spend more money to put something on that should be the company's obligation to environmental health and sanitation. Because of their panels, pigeons are nesting all around our community and building homes. They are full of diseases.

SunPower response

Hi Nolen, we sincerely appreciate the feedback and we’re sorry that you are not satisfied with the current proposed solution. We want you to enjoy your solar system and would like to continue to work with you towards a solution that meets your expectations. We would be happy to reach out and further discuss options. Please send us a direct message with your preferred contact information and best times to reach you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

We had a couple of hiccups on things. From the time we signed the contract with Esmay, it was months before they came out to do the inspection. When the electric company came out to do the inspection to take care of the lines, it was found that we had five homes all attached to one transformer, each getting 100 watts of power.

The guy from the electric company looked at that and said, “Oh, no, no, no, can't do that.” So the electric company had to put a transformer on another pole down from our property. Fortunately, we own the empty lot where the pole was where they put the transformer, so they could go across the property to get us hooked up. However, we had to pay out of pocket for a lift pole. When it all started, it was $2,400 out of pocket for the lift pole. That was a shock. But Esmay reimbursed us $800 out of their pocket because they didn't know about it. The salesperson should have at least looked to see how our electrical service was existing.

When they came to do the installation of the panel, one of the panels was damaged. They have since replaced that. When we went to do the installation on that, they had a piece of damaged equipment, and the way it was packed, it wasn't damaged during shipment. It was damaged before it got shipped out. But once everything was up and running, we're seeing results from going solar and we are happy with it. It's pretty much what we expected. It was just frustrating trying to jump over all these hurdles on everything. It left me in tears a couple of times, but we got through it. My bill has gone down considerably.

SunPower response

We apologize for your experience but are so pleased that Esmay worked to make things right. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. We hope you enjoy the new solar system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

It wasn't a super easy process with SunPower but I had a person that took me by the hand the entire way. He made it very enjoyable. Brian who is my personal advisor is doing a really good job. The customer support is good too. I'm monitoring the system and whenever I had questions, there was quick and professional feedback from them.

SunPower response

Alexander, it is wonderful to read you were in good hands through every step of your installation process. We appreciate the review and feedback regarding your amicable experience. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Top quality solar panels. Top quality installers. Process was easy and total complete process of installation and sales was with SunPower only, no outside sub-contractors involved with the installation process. Process takes a little long, but has nothing to do with SunPower, more of this has to do with your local utilities to get permits passed for the process to begin to go solar.

SunPower response

We are so delighted to see your experience run smoothly and amicably, Brian. We appreciate your patience, review, and most of all your feedback and hope you continue to reach out in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Enrolling was easy. The installation took four days. So far, things have been good.

SunPower response

Carmen, I am glad to read your experience has met your expectations and your installation went smoothly. Let us know anytime you have a question or concern in the future. Congratulations on going solar, and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

The installation was quite seamless. What I'm paying every month is a little bit higher than what I was paying earlier because borrowed money to put the solar. We purchased the solar installation instead of leasing it. So now, I have to pay off that loan. But after seven years, it'll pay for itself.

SunPower response

We are delighted to see your satisfaction with the installation process. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and can't wait to hear about your savings. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

The people who came to do different things were wonderful. Everybody was really knowledgeable, helpful and professional. I felt really good about the whole experience. But there was a problem when they installed the system because it was installed a little differently than I showed on the plans that I put to the HOA. When I called the contractor, Solar Tech, they were really nice about it. They said, "Our mistake. We'll be right out." And they took care of it right away. So far, my bill is smaller. I was really surprised that the system still generates so much solar even on cloudy days. We're really happy with the system.

SunPower response

Hi Alison, we are overwhelmed with joy to see that you love your panels so far. Thank you for the kind feedback. It is lovely to hear that you had a great experience with the sales team and that they provided excellent support. We are glad to see that the installation issues you experienced before were resolved promptly by Solar Tech. If you have any needs in the future, please reach out to us for help. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

The salesperson, Mark, was outstanding, followed through. And any issues I have, I can call him and he follows up. Also, their crew was amazing. They were on time. In a 100-plus degree heat, they were out there working like crazy. They were clean and the most safety-conscious company I've ever witnessed. I even took pictures. Because I said I've never seen one to be so protective of the ladders, and the safety. So they were very unique. I went and bought them pizza, and they were so appreciative. I got a letter back from the president. He said, “We rarely gonna get letters of compliment.” They deserved it. Those guys worked so hard.

SunPower response

Allan, it is wonderful to read about your amazing experience with our sales rep and your installation. It is great to know all your questions were answered and that safety was displayed at all times. We really appreciate your feedback and review. Thank you for the kind words and for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I love Earthlight. They're a great company and I appreciated their professionalism. We felt that we were being serviced by a small hometown business. It felt completely different. You feel the personalization. You feel a more intimate relationship than these big old corporations and they use SunPower which is the best technology out there. The installation was seamless and looks better than any other installation in and around the town I live in. I'm extremely happy with it. I could barely even see it. They worked on my house like it was their own house and that's something to be said for that because that doesn't happen a lot anymore. The one unfortunate thing was I wanted the solar panels put on my main house. They ended up having to be put on my garage because the engineer wouldn't pass off on the dormer of the roof. Probably because we're in New England, you have to account for snow accumulatio. That was a bit of a letdown.

SunPower response

John, we are so pleased to read how appreciative you are of your installation and system. Your feedback is important and if you ever have any questions or concerns we would love to hear back provide assistance. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Got a bid for solar from Brianda **. Paid. They said a previous contractor's work caused a delay even though they came out to inspect before assuring me they could install and have power on quickly. Now they're charging monthly payments, I have solar that won't work, and 2 roof leaks with water damage to drywall. No target date as to when they think the panels might work, few responses, no returned calls. Hilarious.

Sean ** contacts me out of the blue claiming he's new on the case and will expedite a fix in the next week. 3 months later no fix. Then Jeremy ** with "Tier 3 support" contacts me to say they'll tear everything off and restore to original condition. Really Jeremy? You'll fix the hundreds of holes your guys poked in my roof because they don't know how to find a stud? Tell me more. Will have to sue them to try to get the money back. Interviewing counsel now. Have a similar experience? Contact me to join class action. Haven't bought yet? Avoid at all costs.

SunPower response

Hi James, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We truly apologize for the experience you had so far with us. I understand your frustration based on the situation the team is doing what they can to provide you with a resolution. In reviewing our records, you are working with one of our Sr. Managers. Please continue to work with him on resolving your concern and getting an update.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

My Sunpower system is 13 years old. I am very happy with it. Now it needs a new inverter (it was only warranted for 8 years), it still works but I am sure it won't last much longer. I have been calling Sun power directly for a month, all you do is give me the number of local vendors in my zip code. No one can obtain it. Am I happy about this? Will I recommend SunPower to prospective customers? Try to guess my answer. (PS the answer is definitely no, I will not recommend Sun Power unless you can allow me the privilege of purchasing a replacement inverter).

SunPower response

Hi Warren, we apologize for your experience. I have created a case on your behalf and assigned it to our Executive Support Specialist team for further review. A case specialist will be assigned to your claim, and once it is reviewed, they will reach out directly to assist you. I apologize for any inconvenience but ask for your patience while they look to remedy this situation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

The man that was going over the process with us was very informative and answered questions good. He did his job very well. The installers did wonderful. Everything went so smoothly. Once everything was approved, the measurements were taken and everything was fine.

SunPower response

Hi Sue, it is wonderful to read about your amicable installation experience. Please reach out anytime you have a question in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

We decided to go solar to save money. We had an amazing agent named Deann ** who explained everything great and worked out a great deal. We will be referring her and others on her team to all our friends and family when they decide to go solar.

SunPower response

Hi Samantha, we appreciate you taking the time out to leave a review. We are thrilled to hear that you had an amazing experience with Deann and she was able to work out a deal that favored you. Please feel free to contact us in the future with any questions or concerns you may have. Our team is always ready to assist.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

We chose to go with solar for environmental reasons and we received a recommendation to work with Earthlight Solar. Great experience all around with pro level installation and easy to understand instructions from the tech. Very happy with the process.

SunPower response

Thank you very much for the glowing review, Kevin. It is delightful to see that your overall experience was amazing with our authorized dealer, Earthlight Solar. We truly appreciate you choosing SunPower products as your source of clean energy. Please feel free to contact us for any needs in the future that we can help with. Thanks again!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I finally pulled the trigger on a solar system to save over the long term rate hikes from PG&E. It was a great experience from start to finish. They took the extra time to do things right. They were efficient and friendly.

SunPower response

Hi Brigham, we are glad to see that you didn't hesitate to make the decision to go solar. We are delighted to see you satisfied with your decision and your overall experience was great with us when the project was implemented. Let us know in the future if there is something we can help with. Thanks for leaving a great review it is very much appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

This is the last house we will own & we decided that since we will be here long term that we would try to help the environment as well as save some money. We chose Sunpower because of the excellent reviews, tremendous warranty & the reputation of the installer, Freedom Solar. We liked dealing with one entity for all the components & materials, warranty claims process (if any) & the entire install process.

SunPower response

Hi Karl, thanks for choosing SunPower as your solar energy provider, and giving us an amazing review. It is great to see how much you care about our environment while helping us create a more sustainable world to live in. Freedom Solar is one of our most trusted dealers in Texas, please feel free to contact them for any need you may have in the future. Also, our team is on standby to assist too. We hope you continue to enjoy your panels. Thanks again!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I went solar because money in the bank made little gain. I went solar long ago knowing electric prices would rise. My quite old panels keep saving us. I have received superb assistance from staff at Sunpower getting my system reconnected on line. Yea!

SunPower response

We appreciate the kind words, Eric. You made a great choice to go solar and choose us as your provider for clean energy. It's great to see that your old panels are still saving you money while performing well. If there is anything we can help with in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

In addition to several benefits to the environment, we purchased the Solar system primarily to lock in our electricity costs as we anticipate energy prices to rise in the future. The project management for our installation was excellent. SunPower constantly updated us on project milestones and our install proceeded ahead of schedule. We highly recommend SunPower.

SunPower response

We are glad to see that the benefits stuck out to you on why clean energy is great for the environment. Thank you for taking the time out to leave a nice review for us it means a lot to us. It is great to see that our team is kept you updated during the project phase and the installation was taken care of earlier. If you have needs that we can assist with down the road, please reach out. Our team would be more than happy to assist.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I decided to go Solar last fall. I heard about the tax incentives so I decided to get an estimate of the cost of installation before the end of the year. Sunpower/Freedom Solar had a good rating so I called them up. The rep was professional and listened to my concerns. I went with an 11 panel set up. Everything went smoothly from there. The installation and the meter installation went according to plan and schedule. My panels were up and running by mid December. I love keeping track of the output on the AP that Freedom mentioned I load on my phone. I have already received my rebates from both Freedom and Austin Energy. My big 26% tax write off will happen when I file this Spring. All in all, I’m very satisfied with the investment. It’s nice to know that I’m using clean energy and doing my small part in reducing the amount of carbon I send into the atmosphere.

SunPower response

Reading your review brought us joy, Alex. We are happy to hear that the installation process and everything prior to it went smoothly without any hiccups. You made the great decision to go with Freedom Solar they are one of the best-trusted dealers in Texas. If there is a question or concern we can address in the future please contact us or the dealer.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Wanted to reduce electric cost and be environmentally friendly. Watch infomercial for Sun Power and decided to contact them. Local dealer contact us and have a proposal based on our needs. It was a no pressure experience. Installation went along as planned. Activation took a week or so longer than expected but all went well.

SunPower response

Thank you for the amazing review, Paul. It brought us joy to see that you watched one of our infomercials and did some research before making your decision to choose us as your solar energy provider. We hope you enjoy the system and save lots of money on your electricity bills. If you need anything from us in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

SunPower Company Information