2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (358 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

During the purchasing process the salesman left me with the believe the system would feed my house first and then the grid. This is correct only if the grid is up and running. If the grid goes down the system shuts down and the energy gets wasted (to protect the grid workers). I called SunPower they replied the problem can get solved with a battery (if the system can handle it ????). They provided me with a name for the battery installer. The installer told me there are no batteries available. The commercial for the not existing battery says; it could last for up to 3 days. Which means: during an outage the system does not feed the battery and we still waste energy.

SunPower response

Hi Karl-Heinz, we are sorry for the experience you had with us. We would be glad to help you with this matter. I have opened a case regarding this matter please expect a call from an executive support specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Our sales rep laid out the plan, why we should choose SunPower over other suppliers and issues that had come up in the past, and it was convincing. The installation was done in a day. The team was efficient. However, there was a period where the reporting dropped a little bit and I had to go multiple places to get the data that I wanted. They did the change but there wasn't any announcement of that. I lived with that for a while then inquired later and found out there's a new application. SunPower could have managed that a little better. Instead of letting me find the solution, they could have provided that to me. The other thing that could make the experience better is to show the amount of credit that I have banked. I have to go through some convolutions in order to find that out. It would be helpful to see in the application what my balance is.

SunPower response

Hello Alan, thank you for letting let us know about your experience so far with us. It's good to hear that the sales team provided you with information to help you choose the right supplier for you and our team was able to finish installations without any delays. We apologize for the lack of communication that was given to you about ways to monitor your performance. If you have any questions or concerns in the future please contact us. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Based on everything I read and people I talked to, SunPower seemed like the best of all the choices I had. They didn't try to sell me anything other than solar power. There were no gimmicks, no batteries and no crazy financing. Their support was excellent and so was their follow through and keeping me informed of everything. We had some problems in the beginning but mostly on the web interface and not on the panels themselves. I went through my installer and within a day or two, everything was resolved. I've had the panels for almost two and a half months now and I love them.

SunPower response

Hi Dick, we overwhelmed with joy to see that you are loving your panels so far. Thank you for the nice words it is nice to hear that you had a great experience with the sales team and they provided excellent support too. We are glad that see that the issues you were having before are resolved now. If you have any needs in the future please reach out to us for help. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

The experience with SunPower was fantastic. We went with Jeff Periera Home Energy for the installation because of the competitive bid and reputation, and this seemed like a better deal. Everything went so smoothly. It was a cakewalk. The whole team worked well together. The financing was great, the product is well-known and we'll see how long that'd last.

SunPower response

Hi Darrell, thank you for the stellar review that you left us. It brought us joy to hear that you had a fantastic experience with Jeff in getting your panels installed with no problems. If you ever need help with something or have a question please feel free to reach out to our team for assistance. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

We had previous SunPower panels put on in the past, and we had some put on recently these past few months. They're consistently good. The panels are doing a beautiful job and giving us the power that we want to have. Also, the people who came and install the panels were the best. They have a good team of people that do a very clean and wonderful job. They leave the place in great shape. I recommend them to anyone.

SunPower response

Hi Christian, thanks for the amazing review. We are happy to see that you added more panels to your system and you had a great experience with technicians. Feel free to contact us if you ever have questions or concerns regarding your system. Thanks again!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Signing up with SunPower was easy. We had a good experience with our seller and customer service. The installers were very friendly, helpful and professional.

SunPower response

Hi Cassandra, we are delighted to read about your experience with our installers. A friendly, helpful, and professional experience is what we strive for with every visit, call, and install! Thank you so much for helping us change the way the world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Based upon the fact that our friends and neighbors had had such good results with SunPower, they were our primary focus from the beginning. We didn't compare too many other companies other than reading some reviews online. I had also gone to look at a couple of their crews doing installation work, and it looked good. The sales process was low pressure, very well-explained, and very straightforward. No questions were unanswered. We were very comfortable with the sales experience. The installation process was two days once they got everything lined up as far as permits. It was then another week to 10 days before we got the certificate to turn the system on and start using it after they had installed it.

SunPower response

Hi Bruce, we are so happy to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower system and also how smooth it went. Please reach out in the future with any further questions that may arise or any additional feedback. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Welcome aboard!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The entire SunPower team was professional, competent, and responsive at every step of the way. From the initial proposal put together by Mike **, to the application and permitting process (which Emma ** helped us navigate), to the site survey, installation, and inspection (coordinated by Danielle **), we were very impressed at how quickly everything moved along and how friendly and responsive the entire team was. My concerns on the installed system were addressed quickly and professionally by the installation crew (led by Darrell) prior to the permit inspection, and the entire system was online/producing power over a month before we expected!

The system has operated going on 9 months now, and the performance has exceeded what was presented in the initial proposal. We love how the array blends into the house aesthetics, and how the panel and conduit were installed in an unobtrusive spot right next to the main breaker panel. We have been asked by multiple neighbors about who did the work, and we happily respond "SunPower is the best!"

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I have not even had the panels installed. The sub-contractors who were to replace the roof showed up and told me they were only replacing a part of the 30 year old roof that would hold the solar panels. This was never discussed and now that I have re-read the contract and contacted Rob at SunPower to correct the problem, it has been more than a week since I have not gotten a response. After reading the other dismal reviews about customer service, I now see this should have been expected.

SunPower response

Hi Learden, I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the contract and roof project. I will have an executive support specialist contact you to better understand the issues and work toward a positive resolution. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Upgraded to solar to save money, reduce dependency on the grid, and generate green power. Ambrose Solar, our local solar contractor did a fine job installing the panels and hooking up the system. Our Ambrose rep was always available to answer our questions and address our concerns.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

We worked with a young lady named Sarah and she was fantastic. She was the best at presenting the information and explaining the options. SunPower had the best warranty too. Everything from sales to installation to maintenance was the deciding factor for us to go with the company even though it costs $10,000 more. Everything was in-house in one company.

SunPower has fantastic panels. We were very pleased with both the quality and the production. The panels were installed on the south-facing side of our roof in July last year. But we we were undersized a little bit and we should have at least four to five panels on the west-facing aspect of our roof because we are slightly oriented where our south is to the southeast, so we lose anything from about five o'clock on. In the summertime in South Texas, we get sunlight until 9 pm and we are losing almost all of that. All in all, we recommended SunPower to our friends and they had them installed. the only thing was we tried to work with the affiliate program or the referral program but nothing ever came of that. We never even got an acknowledgment that we had made two referrals.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I'm glad I went solar. Our trips are minimal and we're hoping that would get even better. But we'd like to get a battery. I went by the SunPower store in Rocklin six months ago to inquire about batteries and they said there are two different types. The rep said one wouldn't work with our panels and with the Tesla one, it was a year out.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Everybody was very professional, polite and friendly. SunPower has a good group of people that they rely on. The installation crew was respectful of the property and they also cleaned up after themselves so it's like they were never here. Just a bit is working. Going solar hasn't caught up to me yet because with the PG&E Electric out here and how everything has to play catch up. But, I know the system is working because I have the app and I get to see it. I'm producing and sending electricity back to the grid which is nice. I just don't see it in the bill yet.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

California Premier was great to work with. They completed the job in a matter of a few weeks. They get their product from SunPower, they sold it to us and then offered a final walkthrough that explains how the system works. You really need to understand how the system works. So far, things have been good. Our electric bill has gone down. We have gas as well, so we got the gas bill going on there.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I really appreciated the sales rep, JC from SolarTech who was super helpful. he was very honest and authentic. He was the best person I had talked to. The install crew was great. It was a hot day and they got the job done. So, we're really happy all-around. At this point, most of our power is being covered by solar. It's been fantastic.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Getting the panels installed was great and compared to before getting them installed, we now receive lower monthly bills.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I was looking at solar and I asked a friend. He said he got SunPower and referred me to the seller, Dean, who set up an appointment with me fast. While other solar people were there for an hour or so, Dean didn't drag it. He was there for 20 minutes and was in and out. He explained everything really quick, how the panels work, what I'm going to get in them, and all the warranties. What really sold me was the price. He mentioned something about the battery losing its power at 0.2% every year and that also helped me out. It was a good, fast, easy process. When we set up a profile, we set up all of our information, including the bank and the credit. Those were simple.

We were out-of-town when they installed the panels on Monday and Tuesday. We left Sunday, came back Wednesday and it was already set, which was fast. I liked how SunPower gives their customers a signing bonus. That was nice. The app is something that’s also useful and I like the work of it, how it's very modern, and it isn't something that was done in a day. I can feel and sense that they took time with it. However, it was mainly the price that was very good and the solar panels and how they looked.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

We went solar to help protect the environment and lower our utility bill. Overall, the installation process went well. The technicians were professional and respectful. All questions about the process were readily answered. The system is living up to our expectations. We would refer others to Sunpower.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

My monthly payments to the loan for the solar was actually less than my PGE bill. With my battery I am able to go off grid most of the time. I highly recommend Nicole at Sun Power. She was truly amazing.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I procrastinated for years before deciding to go solar. I researched a lot of companies before deciding on Sun Power. I choose Sun Power because they were the oldest company in the area, used all of their own parts and products, and did not use contractors. The installation was very smooth, had a few issues getting connected, which was a good sign in the end, because I had a chance to see how Sun Power and the techs would respond to issues, if I had any in the future. I’m happy!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I got a quote from another company and they said that we had to wait for the state of Illinois to pass legislation in order for me to get a $6500 credit. But then Legacy Solar said they were going to take that right off the cost of my project. They also sell their solar cells as being a little bit more durable with the way they were manufactured. From the day they came out and got on the roof and to when it was solved, it was excellent. All those people were great. I'm really happy to look up on my roof and see the solar panels there and know that I'm doing what I can to try to help with climate change and the environment plus using clean energy.

Resolution response: Oct. 18, 2021

They fixed my problem. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

They have the worst customer service I ever seen, my inverter stopped working more than 3 months ago for second time and every other week I call and they just running me around and no answer for when they will fix it, tried to talk to supervisor. After long holding they said, "He will call you" which never happened. They use to be a good company but not anymore, save your time and money. Stay away from Sunpower.

SunPower response

Hi Mano, I'm very sorry for the negative experience you had with customer service. I see that you have an open case. I will have an Executive Support Specialist contact you to provide additional assistance and work towards a positive resolution.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

SunPower didn't pressure us like Trinity did and when the rep came out, he gave us our options and price ranges. He told us to look it over, gave us his number and to take as long as we needed. He also said to give him a call if we had any questions. SunPower kept me up to date on everything. Anytime I ever had a problem with connecting online with it, I would call and they would talk me through everything. I never had a problem. They were always there whenever I called. They would call back within an hour and would not make you wait long. It’s a good company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

The first rep that I worked with ended up quitting but he did a good job while he was there. The guy who picked me up is actually the same guy who was the rep from the guy across the street. He was very good. The guy who picked me up was very good. I'm an immediate satisfaction kind of guy and you have to experience going solar a year long because of the different seasons, the different amounts of sun and the different amounts of usage. So, I'm being a little bit cautiously optimistic about it. But I’m satisfied so far. If it turns out that after I live with this for a while, I'm not getting the expectations, then I gotta go figure out why.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I had contract paperwork issues with SunPower. We financed it and they were redundant. We got contracts numerous times over and over and the same contract was signed. There were some staffing issues with the company that was helping us. So, the follow through was slow. I ended up talking to the vice president of the company finally because unless they were gonna answer these questions and get me the information I need, I was gonna cancel it. So, they eventually came through but it was frustrating. The installation of the panels went well and the installers were good and clean. Since I’ve had the panels, I have a lower utility bill.

SunPower should issue an alert when their system is offline or nonfunctioning. Currently, you have to login and find that your panels weren’t working after a month. Then, you figure out your last month’s worth of production. It’s on you to check in on a regular basis, which is silly. That's a software issue. They can say that they noticed nothing's been coming into them the last three days and that I should check to see if there's a Wi-Fi issue or if my panels are off. Also, I've read reviews and I had this happen to me once, where people were offline for a month and ended up with a $1,000 electrical bill. Nobody had any clue and more people aren’t. It's not a normal thing for people to log on all the time to their system and double check to make sure it's working.

I’ve noticed that the management of my account didn't have much personalization. I wasn't able to give it a name. I have two systems and they were both assigned literally identical names and I don't know which one’s which. I couldn't go back and say I want this one called Smith and the other one called John. Normally in an account, you can assign an account name, so you can identify what you're looking at in a way that makes sense to you. In the end, I ended up contacting the company who installed and they ended up contacting software engineers over at SunPower. They finally got my name changed. I’m satisfied with SunPower but I told them that if they’re selling anything new, I don’t need that.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I got the little app on my phone that lets me see what power is being generated. The only thing that I would suggest is that there should be some type of follow-up confirming that the system is working and if I have the right number of panels. There's been zero of that. Even just a 10-minute phone call to say, “Hey, we logged on. We’re monitoring the system,” or, "This is where we're at on it," that would go a long way. When making an investment like this, for the average Joe, it's hard to tell if everything is working the way it is supposed to be. Other than that, I'm satisfied with everything. SunPower's panels are one of the superior ones out there.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Joel, the sales guy, made enrolling with SunPower easy. He was very professional and easy to work with. The installation and follow-up teams have been great. They're all doing a good job. You can tell there's a lot of good work ethic there.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

They had some complications when they were doing the job. My house is old and we have those open ceilings, so they damaged my roof when they were nailing the thing. But overall, they were okay.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

SunPower had the best reviews. I had 43 panels installed by them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

My next-door neighbor had SunPower installed on their house. Then when we decided to go solar, we started researching and talked to them and drove around neighborhoods looking at different installations. We liked the work they did. Their sales rep was very thorough. We really enjoyed talking with him. He gave us a lot of good information.

Having had our solar panels installed, we don't have a PG&E bill anymore. We're just paying for our payments on the solar system, which is a lot cheaper than we were paying on a regular electrical. When we started getting into this, and then they had to replace an electrical panel and do some other issues, and we had our house reroute at the same time too, which didn't really involved them much, but they were well organized and we liked the subcontractors they used for doing the electrical. The guys came back to plaster and paint where they had put in the new electrical, tried to blend in to 30-year-old paint, and they did an amazing job. They were all courteous. SunPower and the subcontractors who did the other parts were all really easy to work with. The installation looks so natural on an older home. It looks like it was built with it. The electrical is very clean. It was a really good install and I'm very happy with it.

SunPower Company Information