3.9/5 (272 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

At first, customer service was awesome. Now that our system is installed, we can't get ahold of anybody. I needed to talk to some people over and over again and I can't get ahold of them. Other than that, the equipment, installation and everything else was super good. The techs went out of their way to make my experience really nice.

SunPower response

Hi, we sincerely apologize for your experience and would like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please email us at customersuccess@sunpowercorp.com with your contact details. We will reach out to provide you with assistance and work towards a resolution. We value your business and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

The gentleman that came to sell, the salesperson for the company that I spoke with, was very good and knowledgeable. He had the actual system on a laptop and he showed me the installation and the best place to install the panels. He showed me the worst case scenario - if my trees grew more than they actually would, but just to be on the safe side, how the shadows would affect the sun exposure. That was interesting. After that, I had not the greatest experience.

The salesperson promised me little perks that had nothing to do with the actual panels themselves. He had some cool SunPower backpack. This was before COVID. I thought it would be cool if we could get a couple of those bags that had SunPower panels on it. And he said, “Yes, of course. Once we're done.” Three years later, when we got them installed, the owner said he didn't know about it. And he just went on Amazon and bought me some generic backpack.

The install was a three-year process. The panels themselves have been, so far, great. Also, I've been able to go on the app and see how much I'm saving every month. It's self-explanatory. It’s a bit delayed sometimes. But I like it. The electrical bill comes in a little lighter. But it was not the greatest experience we had with the installer. Not the greatest communication. And the first year, we were trying to get the panels with the backup battery. But it was on backorder. So, we waited for that. The contract expired before anything happened so we had to redo the contract because of how long we were waiting for the backup batteries from Tesla before the install. So, we were waiting for the Tesla power wall to store the backup energy. That took a while. And from there, it was a headache with the city trying to get the permits. And it was one thing after another.

SunPower said I got 30 days after the install to have the financing start charging me, but it was six months, we were paying for the solar panels, and not having them installed. I ended up having to communicate with SunPower because the installer was not replying. And once I got SunPower involved, one of the guys that was helping me at that point, the gentleman that helped me initially was no longer with the company. So, the guy that called me from the installer to redo the contract ended up leaving throughout the time that I was waiting to get the panels installed, and waiting for the whole city. At the same time, I had SunPower working on the back end, trying to help me out with the financing because they shouldn't have been charging me.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

Installed my system in January 2015, and was promised a 10-year warranty on the system, with no mention anywhere that there are different warranty periods for different system components. Had to have the monitoring systems upgraded and changed within a few years under warranty, but then the monitoring system stopped working again December 2021. I found out in February of 2022 and contacted SunPower, who then referred me to Semper Solaris (the installer), who then referred back to SunPower. Now after 8 months of waiting, I received a call from Semper Solaris saying that the new monitoring system, called PV 6.0 is not covered by SunPower Warranty and that's why it's taking so long. The cost is $950 for the new system.

Bottom line, do not trust SunPower's warranty. When I was sold my system back in 2015 I was told SunPower has the best warranty in the business. This has proven to be a bunch 'a hooey. Show SunPower a copy of this text, and ask them to provide you with written warranty on each part of the system one by one, including inverter(s), monitoring, solar panels, etc. I am very disappointed in SunPower, I paid a premium to have SunPower solar system, an AMERIC|AN company, but with this I am now realizing that AMERICAN now translates to "money hungry and dishonorable". This review will be posted on every website possible, so there SunPower, you'll get your $950 worth of "advertising".

SunPower response

Kal, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience. We are opening a case on your behalf and submitting it to our Executive Support Specialists Team for review. Once your account has been reviewed a representative will reach out. We look forward to talking to you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

We had to wait for the okay from PG&E. But it was very easy. We're in the process of selling our home. But we're going to have a lifetime estate to keep living here. And we wanted to make sure that the panels would still be ours. We're leasing them. And the gentleman did say, as long as we keep paying the payment, that were fine. So, everything will just stay the same. We were very happy with the response we got. We almost make enough each year to pay our $10 to PG&E for the use of their lines almost for the whole year. We're very happy with it. We always have a credit throughout time. So whatever he figured out for us worked out perfectly. Several people have signed up with PG&E with us recommending it.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Please contact us in the future with any questions you may have.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

I chose Sunpower because I believed they had some of the best panels, and an awesome 25-year end-to-end guarantee. Well the install experience was poor, I signed a contract in August, but it took until the end of December to install the panels, then they were not turned on until early February. (May have a lot to do with a poor third party installer) This was about three months later than I was led to believe. The panels worked great, until they didn't. One day I woke up to see no power generation. The company tried to troubleshoot remotely, having me reset the system - but no luck. They told me to contact the original installer. They were no help because there was no contract for support with them.

After a month and leaving another online review, they assigned Huck a tier 3 case manager. Huck had a Solar maintenance company come out to take a look, they tried to reset the system and said it would work as soon as enough sunlight hit the panels. Next day, bright sunny day and nothing. More calls, apparently the maintenance company has closed the purchase order for maintenance and needed a new PO, that could not be generated until Huck got a report from the company about the visit.

Eventually Huck sorted that out sent the same company again and they said I had wiring issues on my roof, but they needed more than one guy together up on the roof to fix it. Huck mentioned that Sunpower may look into providing some type of compensation for the months in loss of power which would be great. Except...

Since then (over two weeks ago) Huck is no longer on my case - but someone else has taken over- but has so far been unable to give me any updates other then they have taken over. (I call or email daily to try and keep this case moving) Also the maintenance company no longer answers my calls. It takes two weeks to a month for them to even schedule a visit).

So it's been over two months now with no power, but my system is online. It takes weeks to months to get the maintenance company scheduled to come out and visit, which more often than not results in no resolution to the issue. So my advice is - go with a quality installer that is local and can provide maintenance in a timely manner if your system goes south for any reason. Sunpower may have a guarantee - but there is NO URGENCY in getting any resolution for your issue and very poor communication. Sunpower doesn't seem to have a good installer network in the Northeast. So think hard about that one.

SunPower response

Hi Edmond, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience and look further into this situation. We take your feedback and comments seriously and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I have reached out to your Executive Support Specialist to alert them of your sentiments and notated the case on your behalf.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Cost effectiveness. No initial cost. Loan is paid from monthly savings on electric bill. During the summer months it generates power to the grid which saves on the bill. Reachability at SunPower for clarification and advice. Response to problems in short timeframe.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Our SDG&E bills were just too much. My sister told us of the huge difference solar panels could make and we were convinced to start looking for a good company. SunPower was that company. There was no wait and the installation was fast and painless for us.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. We're always here to help and are just a call, message, or email away. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

After moving into our first house, we made the immediate decision to reduce our reliance on the grid as much as possible. After an extensive amount of research & education, we made the decision to go with SunPower panels. We pulled the trigger in August and were thrilled with the quality of the product. We are generating a tremendous amount of energy each day, and our energy bill is now net negative--in a huge way! The installation experience was top-notch as well. We put SunPower as our primary manufacturer recommendation to our friends who are looking for solar panels. They are not the least expensive panels, by a long shot, but there is no better "bang for your buck" brand out there when it comes to efficiency and quality.

SunPower response

We appreciate you sharing your SunPower experience. It's exciting to have you as part of the SunPower family, and it's such a joy to see your satisfaction with your transition to solar. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

We installed solar to help the environment and to save money. Since installation it has provided 99% of our electric use. We heat and cool the house with electricity. We used Moxie Solar for the installation and it went very well.

SunPower response

What an excellent review! We are happy to hear of your satisfaction with our products. Thank you for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Our decision to go solar was predicated on 2 things. The first was utility unreliability and the second was the ultimate difference in cost and effort versus a standby generator. The generator needs to be tested regularly, fed fuel, get maintenance, and ONLY earns it keep when the utility is down. Solar and a battery accomplishes the same but takes no more actual work or input once the installation has been made AND helps pay for itself. The cost difference works out to be close to the same when the long term investment in operation and maintenance of the generator is taken into account added to the utility bill reduction.

SunPower response

We are delighted to hear of your savings. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

I am an invalid and spend a great deal of time within the home. I wished to have a level cost of electricity and contribute to a green solution to our energy problem at the same time. My only criticism is that your website to show the performance of my solar system comes up sideways on my iPad instead of the way everything else does. My hands are disabled and I am unable to turn the iPad. Could you please look into this problem and correct it so that the information you provide is appearing on iPads without the need to turn it around.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

We did go solar for two reason. Save money and invest something that would be useful in near future! Little issues such as late reply from sales rep after everything was done, that area could’ve been better. Rest assured 3 stars are for sales rep. Would give 5 for rest everyone!

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services, and we hope you enjoy the new solar system. Please reach out to us if you need any assistance. We are just a call, message, or email away. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

The system seems to work fine. I'm very satisfied.

SunPower response

Jim, we appreciate the feedback. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

My complaint is the same as several others listed here. I noticed a spike in my electric bill. I contacted SunPower and was advised that my system was no longer communicating with them or was offline. I had them reset my SunPower access and I find that before my system was offline, it was not producing the same amount of energy by half. I called back and I advised them that one of my inverters is showing zero production and has a red light indicating a problem. I had been advised that SunPower monitored energy production closely and would advise its customers if there was a problem.

The SunPower representative that I spoke with stated that SunPower received too many error/problem messages that it had overwhelmed them. Instead of advising customers of the issues, they just disregarded them as they felt it was all related to the communication issue. I complained about my energy bills and my lease payment and asked for some kind of help or monetary adjustment. I was advised that as per my contract I would receive an adjustment if my system did not produce the guaranteed amount. This is unlikely to cover the increase in my payments to my local energy provider.

I had my case referred to a supervisor and was advised I would receive a "call" within 48 hours. Ivan emailed me within this time and used a blanket statement saying that the communication issue is my only problem and that once they have the parts someone would contact me to make the repair. I responded that this is not the only issue and sent photos of my inverter showing that it was not working. Finally, he listens and makes 2 work orders. They have to outsource this work order. I emailed back that I am glad he is helping me and asked to at least stop auto drafting my lease payment for a system that is not working and Ivan does not respond to this email or the next 3. It takes 2 months for the first visit where the company tells me that they will repair problems but actually just looked at the inverters and said that it was probably just the communication issue.

Next visit, they replace the communication box a few weeks after. I called again and asked them to help because now my energy company is charging me $210-342/month on top of my lease payment when I typically spend $30/month. I am currently scheduled for another site visit on 10/24/2022 and my first contact was 7/1/2022 and I have no faith that they are going to repair or replace this inverter. I had asked 3 times to speak with Ivan's supervisor and I was ignored the first two times and the 3rd request was made today. I have a call into JAMS to begin arbitration and I plan to report them on several platforms. This company has zero respect for their customers and are not able to manage service for leased solar systems in a timely manner!! I highly recommend not going into any contract with them.

SunPower response

Hi, we apologize for your experience. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I liked how SunPower has a battery and they gave me 100% cover because I don't want to have electricity bills. They work with me and everything so far was perfect. There was a little delay regarding the installation but other than that, it's a great company. Back then my electricity bill used to be around the 500s. Now I have a bill with Edison but it coms at negative $60. I know I'm also helping the environment so I'm very happy with that.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. We strive to give our customers the best-in-class service and products. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can assist with in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

My electric bills have been high after calling my local utility company this past summer. I called Sunpower about 4 times to address the issue. I lease the panel and pay monthly automatically. It turns out I have been paying for about four months while the panels were not working at capacity and paying full electric bills too. It is taking almost 2 months since I started to complain. Sunpower wouldn't send out a technician and gave me a "step-by-step" troubleshooting guide. Not sure if it worked or not. I can't get a hold of them due to the Hour plus wait times on the phone. Also forgot my password and tried to get it changed. The only way to get your password reset is to go through their administrator via email. I've sent 3 emails in the course of 4 days without any support or reply! Very poor customer service!

SunPower response

James, we apologize for the inconvenience and see you have an open case with technical support. We are looking into the issue and have escalated your case to our Executive Support Specialist Team for review and follow up. A representative will reach out soon. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to talking to you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

SunPower was behind a lot so I didn’t get my installation right away. But the installers were neat and did what they were supposed to do. Everything was done in an orderly and professional manner. I'm in Nevada so I haven't had a bill in the summer yet. Evidently, the solar panels are storing up the electricity it's supposed to. SunPower looks like it's good and I would recommend them.

SunPower response

Donnette, it is wonderful to read how exceptional your experience has been. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was very easy, and the reps were very good. The install was right on schedule too. Everything went smooth. Now, I'm making a lot of power, and I sell back to the electricity company. I make about 100 kilowatts a day.

SunPower response

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I reached out to four different companies and evaluated price and product. SunPower uses micro inverters for each panel rather than a single inverter, so from a technical standpoint, it seemed like they were the one to go with. In the Houston area, there's a SunPower affiliate called Freedom Solar. Everything I dealt with was through Freedom, and the install was no problem. Before they installed the panels, they had a guy come out. Due to the age of my house, I had to change my breaker box. That was part of the overall package, and they spent the better part of the day pulling the old breaker box and installing the new one.

A week later, they came out and it took them six hours to install 14 panels. We then had a wait till I got the permit to operate from the utility company, and that took a bit longer than they anticipated. There was a problem with some of the paperwork that had been submitted, so the first round, the PTO was denied. They had to go back and redo the paperwork, then it was approved. For the last 12 months, I’ve generated about 85% of my home usage. The only downside I'm seeing at this point is with changes in utility billing.

When I first signed up, my contract was a net metering so I paid a certain cost of kilowatt-hours used, and the utility company purchased back from me at that same price. If I generated 200 and consumed 200, my net usage was zero, and my bill was essentially zero. My contract ended and I had to renew it. Now, I'm paying 21 cents a kilowatt-hour for usage, and I'm only getting back 10 cents a kilowatt-hour for anything I push back to the grid. There's another $40 a month service fee from the utility company as well. So the incentive isn't quite what it was a year ago. Still, it's a good value.

SunPower response

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

Sunpower has great guys, and I haven't had any issues with my system at all. I was told it takes about two years to really see if I have enough panels up there, depending on when I started. It was like my second true-up. We're about halfway through now coming up to our second year. Do I have enough panels up there? I suspect I don't, and I have room for four more, but installing more panels depends on the pocketbook. There's a good possibility, but it might be a bit down the road too. The price of admission goes up all the time.

SunPower response

David, we appreciate your review and feedback. It is wonderful to read how amicable your solar experience has been. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

The sales rep was excellent, and the installation crew was good. We got a standby generator with our package and that took a long time, but that was not SunPower's fault. We had supply issues around the world at that time. Also, the benefits of going solar just started showing up because the return on the investment wasn't too good. Right now, it's good ‘cause it's that time of year. It doesn't have to be hot, just a lot of solar energy coming down.

SunPower response

We are thrilled to see your satisfaction with the installation crew and that the team provided an outstanding experience. Please get in touch with us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

The enrollment process was fairly easy, and so far, I'm fine with going solar. With everything going on right now, it's a good investment, and it's better for the environment as well. I recommended SunPower to some of my neighbors already.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

The purchase and installation went awesome. Monitoring is a completely different experience as is customer service. Monitoring constantly fails. Wait time for cust serv is ridiculous, often over an hour. Last straw is report showing no power for a whole month.

SunPower response

Hi Bo, we appreciate your feedback and would like to apologize for any inconvenience. We have opened a case on your behalf and submitted it to our Executive Support Specialist Team and see you have a Technical Support case as well. One your account is reviewed by a specialist they will reach out to follow up with you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to talking to you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

We did an enormous amount of research early on when we first decided to go solar. This was back in 2008. We looked at all of the hardware that were available on the market, and because we had limited roof space available, we looked for the most efficient system. At that time, SunPower had the most efficient panels per square foot. We interviewed solar installers and looked for those that had the most experience and the most level of education in solar power. The installer that we liked the most has a PhD in Physics, and that's why we picked him. He did not work with SunPower panels, but we told him that we wanted SunPower, so he went through the process of getting licensed for installing SunPower hardware, specifically to do our job.

The installation was straightforward. The only surprise that we had was at the last minute, the installers wanted us to put a new roof on our garage before putting that in. Besides that, all went very smoothly. The city of Pasadena had classes for homeowners that gave tutorials on what to consider when you are going solar, and we attended those. Because my husband and I are both scientists, we did a lot of advanced homework. We looked at the sun angles and built a brand-new structure to cover our back patio. That was built at the same angle as our garage so that both systems had the same lighting exposure.

We had two systems with two inverters, and when the inspector came out, he was quite impressed with the work that we had done. He also realized that our installer was someone who had a reputation of being very good in the field. Our installer has since left the work of installing, and he's now teaching renewable energy at a university locally. We really did our homework, getting the highest quality installer to do the job, and that paid off. We've had the system now for 11 years, and we've been very happy with it. Last year though, I've been very unhappy because when SunPower switched their monitoring system, they took down the website monitoring. We were assured at the time that they were gonna be saving all of our historical data, but it did not come back up when the system went back up. After several phone calls to various representatives, eventually, the data came back up online, but only the most recent data.

I rely very heavily on the historical data. I've done all kinds of analyses and studies, trying to understand the efficiency of our system over the years, when we need to clean, because we've seen the dust buildup is having an effect on the efficiency of the panels. I probably monitor this more closely than anybody else who has ever purchased solar panels. Until a year ago, everything was perfect and I would have given SunPower a rating of 5. Today, because the hardware is still going well after 11 years, I'd still give them a 3.

I had always recommended SunPower to other people, both because of the research we had done on the efficiency of the panels, and secondly, because of the huge benefit it was for us to be able to do all of this monitoring from home. Unfortunately, because we haven't been able to rely on the monitoring, we go outside every single day right before sunset and write down all the numbers off of both of the inverters and the hardware that sends it off to the city. It's a huge pain in the neck to have to go out there every day and write all these numbers down on a piece of paper, because SunPower really dropped the ball with the new website. They've lost all my historical data, because despite sending in email requests to get the historical data restored, it hasn't been restored yet. I'm very disappointed right now.

SunPower response

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Our system stopped reporting due to the new change over to 5g on the cell phone towers. We contacted SunPower to be told this was the issue and was not covered under our warranty. Also, at the time being told this, they did reveal that they would cover it if we had leased our system because with leased customers "it is in their best interest" to be able to monitor those systems but customers such as ourselves it's not. So they penalize those who purchase their system. After several calls and emails there has been no resolution except to pay for the fix which is not cheap. There are zero concessions for customers who purchase their systems since they already have been paid.

SunPower response

Hi Donna. We apologize for your experience and for not meeting your expectations. Please expect your Executive Support Specialist to continue to provide support.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Updated on 10/22/2022: Recently made a review on this site and thanks to Consumer's review a manager from SunPower Solar was assigned to my case. Thank you. It has been almost 6 months that my solar panels have not been working. (No electric produced by panels). On Sept 22 a tech was at my house and turned the switches off. Sunpower about a month later after numerous phone calls the manager assigned to my case finally said they are coordinating with their repair company to replace the inverters. How long does it take to get these inverters? I am still waiting for repair.

On top of this Sunpower still wants me to pay my monthly lease payment which I put the automatic payments on temporary hold through their billing dept. This has become a nightmare. Constantly on phone with different departments promising that once the system is fixed and they can see how much it under produced, I will be reimbursed. The manager assumed to me is coordinating with the the repair company and updating me approximately every 5 business days. I lost the whole summer Sun and pages my full electric bills to Con Edison NYC. Now the winter is almost here and The sun is lower in the sky and if they fix the system they would not produce much electric until the spring. I am totally disgusted with this situation I am in. Any additional help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Original: My electric bills have been high after calling my local utility company they said my panels were not producing electricity. I called Sunpower about 8 times to address the issue. I lease the panel and pay monthly automatically. It turns out I have been paying for about a year while the panels were not working and paying full electric bills too. It is taking almost 2 months since I started to complain. Calling customer service for tech support over and over. Finally got a job ticket **. They said a company called Nova Source will call me to set up an appointment.

Some showed up on September 22 2022 with no call and I was not home. My Ring cameras recorded the visit. He was here one hr. Left without fixing problem. I call Sunpower tech support and they referred my case to a company called Nova Source that gave me an appointment for 3 weeks on Oct 4th. Still waiting. No solar and still paying my lease with no solar benefits. I am very disgusted with Sunpower for handling my problem for so long and still collecting my monthly fees while the panels are not working. They never notified me of the breakdown by email or call. After all they should know that their panels were not producing. It looks like I should be reimbursed for the amount of time these panels were not producing and their failure to monitor and notify me of the breakdown.

I called billing and no one answers just put on hold with annoying music playing. I will never recommend this company anymore their service is terrible. Amedeo **, I am a 10 yr user and have referred many customers. Please someone from Sunpower look into my case and do something to help me get financial reimbursement for all my troubles.

SunPower response

Amedeo, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention and understand your frustration. We have created an Executive Support case on your behalf. Once your case is reviewed a specialist will reach out to follow up. We look forward to talking to you.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

In the past my power bill was up to $600 a month because of the heat. I found that SunPower is using the same type of system that they use in NASA and I was very impressed by that. It is very helpful and it has dramatically decreased my monthly payment. The work ethic of their team was excellent. They even told me that at some point, I need to have my roof repaired as they had broken some tiles while they were on top of the roof. They replaced them with all the extras I had and that was amazing. It has been a really good experience with them. I love getting my monthly bill as an email.

SunPower response

Paula, we appreciate the wonderful review and are delighted to see how happy you are with your solar savings. Thank you for sharing and especially for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

We have a very steep roof. When I was trying to get an installer, the first couple balked and said they couldn't do it. It was impossible. Then we found one who did it and did a great job with it. Initially, our electric bills went way down. We were even negative in the summer and applied that as a credit toward natural gas. But that's not true anymore. More recently, we put in air conditioning and we got an electric car. But it's still much lower than it would have been if we didn't have it. I'm very pleased that we did it. SunPower is terrific.

SunPower response

Douglas, it was wonderful to read that our team and service met your expectations. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I have been a SunPower residential customer for about five years. The sales rep really sold us on how efficient the solar panels were and the great customer service SunPower provided. We were told that SunPower would continuously monitor the installed system and take corrective action if an issue was detected. Great! Sign me up!

To date, SunPower has never reported an issue to us, we have to notice an issue and contact SunPower Customer Support every time. The unforgivable issue right now is our SunPower Solar System stopped generating energy on June 28th 2022. We didn't know until the local power company (not SunPower) called us at the end of July to question our unusually high electric bill. We checked the inverter and sure enough, there was an error code. I immediately contacted SunPower to open a case. After much back and forth the representative told us that they would schedule someone to come out ASAP. One week...Ten Days...Two weeks later and several phone calls to SunPower we were finally given an appointment... 5 weeks from that date on Sept 6th! I called SunPower several times and requested to speak to the case manager but never ever received a call back from anyone at SunPower!

Sept 6th, the technician finally showed and diagnosed the inverter problem as the main logic board was bad. He said he ordered the part and should have it in about two weeks. Two weeks comes and goes and still no word from SunPower. I called again, was told by the representative that they need to replace the whole inverter and just got final sign-off but could not give me an install date. Again, I asked to talk to the case manager...nothing!

Now, Sept 26th, I received a notice that they want to schedule the inverter install on Oct 31st...another 5 weeks! I've called SunPower several times and asked for the case manager (finally told his name was Ken?) but he couldn't talk as he was on the phone with another customer... but the Rep said she spoke to Ken and he gave her additional details about the install. I insisted he call me back but still no call!

I live in Tucson and the summer months are critical for solar production and I've already lost 3 months of solar generation and unless SunPower gets their act together I'll lose at least one more month! And that doesn't even begin to cover the financial impact of the high summer electric bills ($ thousands already), the frustration of dealing with an uncaring company and my time and energy... Another Frustrated SunPower Customer.

SunPower response

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We chose SunPower to install solar on our home after an exhaustive research process. Their system was 10-15% more expensive than others, but decided to go with them due to warranty reasons, the likelihood they would be in business the full term of warranty, and the perception that they were more professional than the others and the install would be more pain free. We could not have been more wrong.

From the onset, the design and site survey process was delayed and our system was put into service nearly a full two months after the initial projection. Along the way, they drilled into a live main gas line while installing supports to the roof, while my family was in the house and my daughter was playing right below. The line could have easily sparked and caused an explosion. We were evacuated by the fire department for most of the day into 110 degree heat without accommodation from Sunpower.

After the system was installed, there were a host of workmanship issues that Sunpower only fixed after a month of back and forth and tons of time spent on our side. Sunpower also promised compensation as an act of good faith to make the gas line incident right, which we are going on 2 months without response from Sunpower. Not worth any sort of premium and after dealing with their customer service, I would not use again even if they were 50% cheaper than the competition. Buyer beware.

SunPower response

Adam, we understand your frustration and take this matter seriously. We are working to help resolve your concerns and restore you faith in SunPower. A case has already been created and escalated to our Executive Support Specialist team for review. Expect a specialist to reach out soon. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to talking to you.

SunPower Company Information