4.3/5 (379 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: July 28, 2022

My experience has been very good, with the exception of one thing. It is not SunPower's fault, but the monitoring device has been on backorder for some time and we haven't got it yet. But we talked the other day and they said they're working on it. Other than that, the system is working great. I'm very happy with everything.

SunPower response

Barry, we appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear your expectations have been met. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 27, 2022

It's excellent with SunPower. I'm 100% satisfied. They have great customer service. My rep was Justin and he did an excellent job.

SunPower response

We are delighted that Justin provided an excellent experience. Don't hesitate to reach out in the future with any questions or concerns. We sincerely appreciate the feedback, and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 25, 2022

This company has the worst ever customer service I know. They installed my solar system for 8 months and just the first month worked and never worked again and is 6 months I keep calling and talking to customer service and they are not doing anything except promising. I strongly recommend you do not do that.

SunPower response

Hi, we apologize for the experience you've had. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 24, 2022

I went solar to save money on my PG&E bills. They are way too high and it is the right thing to do to help with our climate changes. I also hope it will keep my home cooler and it seems to being doing that already.

SunPower response

We appreciate you sharing your SunPower experience. It's exciting to have you as part of the SunPower family, and it's such a joy to see your satisfaction with your transition to solar. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 23, 2022

Past 2~3 years there was no problem. Engineer and technical support are good enough. But recently they seems to have big problem in AutoPay system. They changed my account number without notice. (Enough balance in my bank account) and they said I did not register for AutoPay and charged me late fee. (Because they changed my account number, this new account is not registered for AutoPay). I called Customer Service and they did not try to understand what the problem is. I think they are going out of business sooner or later.

SunPower response

Hi, we're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: July 21, 2022

To save money and also help the environment. The installation crews were all very good and polite and never made any messes. In regards to the subject mentioned above I left several phone messages but never heard back from them. Otherwise everyone has been extremely helpful.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services, and we hope you enjoy the new solar system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Wanted to do something concrete for the environment. An overall reduction in utility bills certainly was a draw but payback was at least 13/14 years, so it wasn't the primary motivation. We researched and interviewed at least 5 different companies but decided to go with Southcoast Solar, the representative was very well spoken, knowledgeable and came highly recommended by our financial consultant who had recently installed solar through the company as well. We are pleased with the experience.

SunPower response

Hi Dolly, thank you for the amazing feedback. We are glad that you did research and came to the decision with SunPower. We strive to provide the best product and service in our industry. Please keep us updated on your experience and if there is anything we can take care of in the future.

Original review: July 15, 2022

The experience with SunPower was a pleasure from start to finish. I was very impressed with the approach of the people I talked to. It was a very favorable experience and I'm a happy customer. They’re undergoing an update of their software at the moment, so I can’t see what’s going on with my system reliably. There are very strange numbers that are showing up. But I assume they'll all get straightened out when they finish the upgrade.

SunPower response

Hi Arthur, thank you for taking the time to leave a wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you had a great experience with us from the start. The app is getting updated by the time it's done all your data should be there and accurate. Feel free to reach out if there is anything we do for you later down the road.

Original review: July 15, 2022

We went solar to save on our electric bill for sure but we also wanted to do what we could to help the environment. We have been solar for 11 mos without any issues. We are very happy with our decision to go solar with SunPower.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. We're always here to help and are just a call, message, or email away. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 15, 2022

1, The installed capacity is 6.8KW, however, it has never reached 6KW yet. (5.2KW was the maximum reached.)

2, The scheduled maintenance from 6/29 to 7/30 is definitely too long and I can't monitor my solar system since 6/29.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. The scheduled maintenance is to improve the performance of our monitoring system. We hope that by upgrading our app, we can better meet the needs of our consumers. Your system review will be available as soon as the data upgrade is complete. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Original review: July 15, 2022

Going solar is the right way to go, and working with SunPower make the decision easy. The services, the product, the communication everything they are on top of it. I know many people are posting when they have an issue which is not fair because the majority are working just fine which we all expect that. Kudos to SunPower.

SunPower response

Hi, we appreciate the kind words. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Please reach out to us if you need any assistance. We are just a call, message, or email away. Thank you again for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: July 15, 2022

We decided solar was the way to go for us. Before summer even hit our electric bill was already in the $400 range. We look forward to saving hundreds of dollars per month. Thank you for the amazing service Energy Concepts from start to finish.

SunPower response

We appreciate the positive feedback. It's always a pleasure to provide our customers with the best experience possible. We hope you reach out any time you have a question in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 15, 2022

We wanted to use more Green energy and to reduce our PG&E costs. After interviewing several companies, Ambrose Solar, with SunPower panels was the best choice for us. The panels were installed in a day and after receiving our go live from PG&E we are making our own electricity. Everything works fine.

SunPower response

It is wonderful to see the system is meeting your expectations, Warren. Thank you for sharing and helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 14, 2022

We wanted to have solar for some time, mainly to save on our increasingly expensive electric bills. The SunPower staff were very friendly and knowledgeable, and they helped at every step of planning, installation, and service. We particularly liked their full explanation for any questions we had, and their "one stop solves all" approach that meant we only have one company to answer any issues.

Original review: July 14, 2022

After a winter where some people lost power for 5 days sparked my interest in never being without power. This summer is a doozy and I am so glad I now have 27 panels on my roof and two back-up batteries. I love watching the app when I am selling power back to the grid. I have a sense of freedom over the power company. Thanks Sunpower!

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Mary. We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we're doing. Congratulations on going solar!

Original review: July 14, 2022

First, I am not a Green Person. However, I have a daughter with health issues and she needs her Cpap machine. To provide continuous power to our home, there was no other option except Solar and batteries. Installation was ok but, took longer than expected. Since then, we have added an extra battery and now have 2 Powerwalls. In short, no issues, no problems, and almost no light bills. Now that the credits don’t carry over, I expect low light bills and insulation from increased energy costs. Just a note, for us the 2 Powerwalls we will have to watch our power usage in June, July, August, January, and February to run the Cpaps and Air Conditioner all night.

SunPower response

We appreciate the review and feedback, Harvey! We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your SunPower solar system. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 14, 2022

Flawless installation by Jeff Periera Home Energy. Panels are working better than expected- more electricity has been generated than planned. Thank you Sun! Great cell phone app to track performance and notify if problems occur. Customer service is top notch.

SunPower response

We appreciate your sharing, Thomas. Reading how well your panels and app exceed your expectations is excellent. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 14, 2022

As a first time home owner, I looked into solar to save on electricity cost. I did a good amount of research, met with other companies and ended up with SunPower panels. Though not the cheapest, but their industry leading warranty lets me keep peace of mind, and industry leading efficiency lets me know I have the best product. I’ve convinced others to go with SunPower too. Their App is also simple to use and great. I love seeing metrics and data of production and cost savings. Highly recommended!

SunPower response

We really appreciate the feedback and review, Douglas. Thanks for sharing your solar story and helping others learn more about better, cleaner energy!

Original review: July 14, 2022

I decided to go solar for two main reasons; green energy and a backup battery as my area experiences frequent brownouts and blackouts. I chose SunPower, even though it was more expensive, because of high ratings and the fact that all components are SunPower's, therefore SunPower's responsibility if things go wrong. Also, their roof installation is a superior process, flush to my roof and no chance of roof leaks. Working with SunPower was a dream. Once I signed, they handled EVERYTHING and maintained excellent communication. Once the system was activated, there have been a few issues that needed attention. A quick call to the installing company or SunPower customer service resolved any problems quickly and seamlessly, usually remotely. The app is also great, and very user friendly. I highly recommend SunPower.

SunPower response

Thanks, Janice. This review just made our day! We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your SunPower solar system.

Original review: July 14, 2022

To save money from CONEdison and put some money back in my bank account and not using too much electricity that’s required to get my lights on. This program is amazing and I love it the idea of the Solar system.

SunPower response

This is great news, Victoria! We are glad to hear that you're enjoying your SunPower system. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 14, 2022

We went solar to protect the climate, ensure power during unexpected short outages, restore power after hurricanes, save money on our monthly bill. It is the right thing to do! The system install was great. The year long wait for the Tesla storage battery was very frustrating.

SunPower response

We're happy to hear you're enjoying greener energy, Elizabeth. We appreciate the review. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 14, 2022

I went solar for the environmental factor, and also trying tho save me some money with all this inflation situation going on. I'm very happy with my solar. It took 4-5 months to get it going but at the end I'm very happy.

SunPower response

Thanks for reaching out and congrats on going solar, Luis! We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying better, cleaner energy with SunPower.

Original review: July 12, 2022

We were happy with Sunpower until we had to expand our system and add more panels. Ever since then it has been a nightmare. They have given inaccurate information over and over, do not reply to emails, give us the runaround. It has directly affected our TREC payments and entering information for state reimbursement.

SunPower response

Abby, we are sorry to hear your expectations have not been met. We appreciate your feedback and have escalated your issue to our Executive Support Team for review and assignment. We look forward to speaking to you.

Original review: July 11, 2022

My solar panel system is 4 years old, $25,000. It stopped working on June 7. I have called repeatedly to get a service technician to my home to no avail. I received an e-mail today saying they will charge me $300 to schedule a technician to come out and diagnose what is wrong. They claim the part that may have to be replace is not covered by my 25 year warranty but they don't say what that part is and why it is not covered. SunPower is much more expensive than all the other solar companies but they are not worth it. Their customer service is a joke.

SunPower response

Hi Jerrold, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the service you have received. I'd be more than happy to assist you with your matter. I see that you have an active case open with our team. We will be escalating this case to our executive support team for further assistance. We appreciate your patience throughout this process.

Original review: July 7, 2022

We contacted SunPower and the enrollment process went well. The only issue that we had was whoever was contracted to do the electricity panel did a poor job. The panel wouldn't shut so I had to make a complaint with the company. It took a while but it got resolved. Somebody came out and fixed it. I'm using the SunPower app and it’s decent. It could certainly use some improvements but as a bare bones tool, it's good. Overall, the experience has been positive.

SunPower response

Original review: July 6, 2022

The sales rep was informative and got back to us as quickly as possible. The installers ended up breaking a couple of our blinds but other than that, everything else went well. It's only been about a month but SunPower’s service has been good.

SunPower response

Thanks for taking the time out to post a review for us. We are delighted to see that you received great customer service from the sales team and all your questions were answered. Feel free to contact us if you have more questions in the future.

Original review: July 5, 2022

The experience with SunPower was completely seamless. They scheduled the appointment fairly quickly. The reps were on time and did everything right. They handled all the permitting and stuff to PG&E to get the approvals, and it was painless. I thought about purchasing solar panels a lot of times over the last few years, but for some reason, I never pulled the trigger. I should have done it a few years ago. People should not wait.

SunPower response

We are delighted to see your satisfaction with the installation process. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: July 4, 2022

My installer, who's one of SunPower’s certified installers, handled all of the paperwork. It was great because I didn't do anything. I'm 1,000% positive about going solar. It has been fantastic. It worked from day one. You plug them in and they work. So, I have no issues. I'm off the grid now, because I also got batteries. SunPower is doing exactly what they’re supposed to do.

SunPower response

Hi, we appreciate your wonderful feedback and are delighted to read your SunPower success story! Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: July 3, 2022

The installation was excellent. It was very quick and easy. The reps were punctual and were all done in a day. But I have not received my monitoring system yet. It was on backorder and that was a month ago. So that's a little frustrating. Still, I’ve been saving money since going solar. People should get it and I've already told 100 people about it. I’m extremely satisfied. I wouldn't do it any other way.

SunPower response

Hi, we are happy to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower system. Please reach out in the future with any further questions that may arise or any additional feedback. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. When you have a moment, please email us at customersuccess@sunpowercorp.com with your contact details and monitoring concerns. We will reach out to provide you with assistance and work towards a resolution.

Original review: July 2, 2022

SunPower is a good company. The reps were not too pushy and responded to all of my questions. The experience has not been too stressful.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's a delight to know that you had a great experience with the sales team, and they provided excellent support. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

SunPower Company Information