SunPower

4.6/5 (389 ratings)

About SunPower Reviews

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: April 8, 2022

I chose SunPower to save money on my electric bill. My good friend had good luck with SunPower. They provided fast, professional service. I had some contract issues that were taken care of promptly making this experience stress free. I am also glad to do my part in preserving the ecology of my country for my grand children.

SunPower response

It is wonderful to read your satisfaction with our company, Paul. We're delighted your friend recommended us and that we were able to deliver you both exceptional service. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 8, 2022

Aloha, Here in Hawaii, we have one of the highest electrical rates in the nation. Besides saving $400 to $500 a month on our electricity bills, it feels so good to know my house is powered by the sun. Like a miracle!!

SunPower response

Nothing cracks a smile quite like a low utility bill. We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with your SunPower system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 8, 2022

Save money, help the environment, still conserve, two months No PGE bill. The system is surpassing our projections each month. We recommend the Sun Power panels and app. Easy to understand and monitor. Two of our friends have have had their systems installed and are very pleased.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower success story! We strive to give our customers the best-in-class service and products. It's delightful that you have been enjoying your SunPower panels, saving, and the ability to monitor your system with the MySunPower app. Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: April 7, 2022

I have existing Mitsubishi Panels but after talking to Julian from RevoluSun decided to get SunPower Panels to supplement electrical output. They seem to functioning great! The output is better than the Mitsubishi Panels. So far very pleased! Also upgraded my microinverters

SunPower response

Eric, glad to see you are enjoying your new panels and microinverters. We appreciate the feedback. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 7, 2022

We went solar to save money and to protect the environment -- at least I HOPE it will. We originally installed 22 panels and were doing fine until COVID when my daughter and her baby moved in. Our NEM went up, so we just added 8 more panels and should break even. The installers and SunPower administrators were easy to work with and showed up for work when they said they would.

SunPower response

We appreciate the feedback and are happy to read you are enjoying your system, Ron. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 7, 2022

We research several companies and were impressed that Sun Power manufactures their own solar panels. Plus they had great reviews. We have only had the system active for 2 months, but already see the savings. We even recommended the company to our neighbors.

SunPower response

Glad to read you are enjoying your savings, Rosalie. We appreciate the recommendation and would like to thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 7, 2022

We decided to go solar when the price finally came down to what I felt was reasonable (had a quote about 10 years ago) and when our PG&E bills kept going up.

The salesperson was very knowledgeable, helpful and no pressure. The installation was flawless except for having to wait due to backlog of customer installs. The app is great for monitoring. I didn't like the credit company SunPower recommended and would not use them again. The solar credits on my taxes worked great.

SunPower response

Kelly, we are delighted to read your experience has met your expectations and sincerely appreciate your feedback. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 2, 2022

After doing the research, we really believed in the product itself. It seemed to be the better deal. It wasn't the cheapest, but it wasn't so far off that it wasn't good. Mike was really great about answering questions. I love Mike, but after the sale, the level of customer service kind of degraded a little bit. They did a decent installation job. But I would have liked a little more time for them to talk through with us what we're doing, how it's managed, and what do we do when we call and it's broken. Other than that, I'm okay because I've got numbers and contacts that will be able to help if we need it. We've received some energy from the solar panels, so that reduces my bill overall. But to be comparable to what we were paying, it's got to reduce it a little more than it is right now.

I thought there would be a little more help with setting up the billing. SunPower did end up giving us some recommendations, and we ended up going with Rhythm on that. SunPower could also be a little more proactive with getting us the information for our taxes, considering that we're new to solar. It's not SunPower's responsibility for what's happening with the service providers, as far as the energy companies, but there should be part of the process. SunPower could develop a way to better educate their customers for after the panels are up. They need to give their customers information about what are the things they want to look for to benefit it. They could do a general glossary of terms in explaining the terms.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. We are so happy to hear that you are saving money and receiving clean energy. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. We'd be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for helping us change how the world is powered.

Original review: April 1, 2022

SunPower is all inclusive and that made a big difference to me. It's not piecemealed. You don't have to contact somebody else if there's a problem with the installment, etc. It's not as cost-effective yet as I have expected though. Also, I can go online and check the activity but every time I try to get into that system, and I've contacted them about that, it won't let me do it. I don't have access to the monitoring part of it. But for the most part, it's fine.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 31, 2022

When I called the SunPower and was interested to know where the cost would fall in the range compared to the other products that I evaluated, they came out competitive which was surprising. In fact, it was quite a bit cheaper than the previous bid I had gotten partly because the efficiencies are so high and the quality that the other product quoted would require more panels, which increased the cost.

The sales rep was fantastic. He talked to me about all the details that I needed to know. I really appreciated that he was honest and not salesy, like in a used car salesman kind of way, but more, "It's a great product. Let me tell you about it. Here's what you expect. Here's why it's a good product." For the price, it's a great product. They also worked with me through the rebates and the incentives they provided. They pointed me to the forms that I needed for the taxes. They really worked hard.

There were two things that we were working through. One of them was trying to get the installation done in the previous calendar year so I could apply for the rebates this year. Otherwise, if I had done the installation in January, I'd have to carry more of the debt to finance the cost of the install until the following year. They did the installation in a timely manner. They were able to pull it in and worked a little bit extra because it was right after the holidays. They tried to do mine and several others to try to get it in before the calendar year was over.

The other thing that we were working through was the cost. It didn't change. There wasn't any negotiation to coming down on cost. They were very honest that we tried to set things at a low cost. But it was the financing of it because it requires out-of-pocket expense. Very few people, myself included, have that sort of cash just lying around. But the sales rep was very good to help me understand what it meant if you were to finance through the solar power company or through someone else or if you were to put it on a credit card, to help me work through what would be the right option and the least costly for me and offering suggestions for me to consider rather than pushing me into a product, where I finance through them and they get the high profits off of the interests. I was able to come up with a financing solution that worked well for my family and didn't really cost much money at all to do the financing.

I've been able to read it through the app and I am net positive for the year as far as what's generated. The kids love to look at it. They try to monitor the power usage and it's been quite fun. I've only gotten one bill so far where the solar has been on it, and with the net metering, it's saving money. In case it goes up, I feel comfortable with how the power is coming through the panels and supplying it to my house.

SunPower response

Hi, we are overwhelmed with joy to see that you love your panels and monitoring. Thank you for sharing your experience. It's such a delight to know that you had a great experience with the sales team. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 31, 2022

My sales consultant was extremely rude to me during our Zoom meeting. His name is Kevin **. Hopefully you do not have to deal with him as he was very unprofessional. He reminded me of a terrible used car salesman. One of his first lines of the sales call was "if you want the cheapest panel to hang up from this call right now". He then went on to say that Tesla panels are cheap junk. Out of curiosity, I asked how much are Tesla panels compared to SunPower? He said very rudely "I don't work for tesla".

I explained that he brought them up and I was just looking for a comparison. He got aggravated with me and hung up on the call and never emailed me the information that I requested about pricing. So far I have listened to three different solar companies' pitches and Kevin's was by far the worst as he was unprofessional, arrogant, and argumentative. I also called customer support the lady on the line was hard to understand and not helpful at all. Overall I would rate SunPower a 0 out of 10.

SunPower response

Hi Jason, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are terribly sorry for the experience you had with the sales consultant. The team member should not have reacted in such an unprofessional manner you had every reason to ask questions and make comments. This is not the standard we carry ourselves at SunPower. The information you have provided has been passed on to the sales consultant manager for this issue to be addressed properly. Again, we apologize for the experience you had.

Original review: March 30, 2022

SunPower was very thorough and took everything into consideration. There was an issue where they couldn’t install panels on our garage. They reconfigured their plan quickly and efficiently so that they could still go forward with the installation. They did a good job. I only had two real complaints and one has been resolved. The crew that installed our system wasn't as careful as they could have been around our plants and they trampled over them. When we first got the system there, my SunPower app and also online monitoring were terrible and wouldn't connect. They sent me reports at the end of the month but I couldn't check in to see what the system was producing. They've since rebooted or did something to their app where it works great now. on the whole, I'm very satisfied going solar.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services, and we are delighted to see your satisfaction with going solar. If there is anything that we can assist with in the future, don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 29, 2022

My electrical panel was damaged and it was strongly recommended that I replace it. I figured I might as well do a solar upgrade for that part. SunPower was one of the four companies I researched five years ago before I put a new roof on and it was still one of the top three we were looking at. the installers were great and I've had my panels for a month and a half now. We had a great experience.

Two falls ago, we had five power outages in the four months. We've had two windstorms since and there have been two power outages. The only way I can tell there’s been power out is when I see the stove light blinking. The stove would go off and yet I don't see any reduction. I work from home and I use a medical device to sleep. I have to have consistent power for those parts. With our solar system in place, we haven't noticed any difference. Everything's been fine.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. It's a delight to see your satisfaction with your SunPower system. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered!

Original review: March 25, 2022

We recently got solar system from this company from builder because it was only company builder works with. Solar activation still not done, multiple call to customer service is of no help, they would not even schedule a call after 12 days. Every time we call was told that it takes 24-48 hours to schedule a call and someone will call but we never get call. Stay away from this company if you can, we did not have choice unfortunately. Zero Star

SunPower response

Hi Salil, a case has been created on 03/26/22 regarding your matter. I can assure you that someone will contact you from our Executive Support Team for further assistance. We appreciate your patience throughout this process and look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 25, 2022

The SunPower sales rep was wonderful. The installation team was awful. They have no communication skills with anybody. I was told it was gonna be done in two days, and it took them two months. The guy thought we had to get approval from the city for something, but in our county, we didn't need it. Then they just had to keep rescheduling because they would leave and things weren't done. I'd complain and they'd have to reschedule for two weeks later. As far as the app, it kept telling us that it wasn't online. So I called, and the rep said, "Okay." The next day, she emailed and said it's been fixed. I checked the app again, but it's not fixed. Finally, after three weeks, somebody at SunPower got it fixed.

SunPower response

Brenda, we completely understand your frustrations and want to restore your faith in your dealer and SunPower. While we are happy your issues are now resolved, we do not take your feedback lightly and have forwarded it to our senior team for evaluation and review. Let us know if there is anything more we can do by sending us a private message. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Enrolling with them was good. It took a little longer than what was expected but that was with city permitting. Now, I'm over producing like I wanted so I don't have to pay Edison. I use the app to see what I produce for the day. But the Edison website shows how much I overproduced from day to day. Also, their site can show me what my credits are so that's what I look at. Use SunPower. 20 years from now, they'll still be producing a good amount of the power which is what I like.

SunPower response

Hi, we are so appreciative of your excellent feedback and to read your SunPower success story! Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. It's terrific to hear that you have enjoyed monitoring the system's production on your mySunPower app. We strive to give our customers the best-in-class service and products. Please reach out to us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 15, 2022

One of the main reasons was environmental and also cost. I am able to generate clean energy to consume and send back to the grid. This is my way of helping the environment. Sunpower product are made here in the USA helping in many ways the local economy.

SunPower response

We are so delighted to see you're enjoying cleaner, better energy with your SunPower system. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Our electricity provider is San Diego Gas & Electric which is the most expensive electricity provider in the country. At current rates our payoff for the cost of solar after the tax credit is 7-8 years. (They have increased prices since our installation.) Everyone at Sunpower by Précis were wonderful to work with from sales person, to the office staff and the installers.

SunPower response

Hi, it's fantastic to hear your success story! We are so proud to hear how happy you are with your system and that your installation experience was wonderful. Congratulations on your new SunPower system, and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 14, 2022

Sun Power took 1 month to get permission to operate from utility company. After this delay took 1 more week to start generating. I spend multiple days switching on/off breakers. 7 days so far. Still paying my utility bill. God knows when will it activate. Bad service.

SunPower response

Hi Sarang, we appreciate the feedback. We are truly sorry to hear that the service you received has not met your expectations. I was able to locate your account in our system your active case has been escalated to our executive support team to provide you with the best possible assistance. We appreciate your patience throughout this process.

Original review: March 13, 2022

To save money & environment - neighbor has it and really liked what he was saving money wise. Permits take a really long time. Installers very professional. Salesperson very friendly and professional also. However in winter with snow there is no savings - need to add a trickle charge to help melt snow so that they can work.

SunPower response

Hi Penny, we truly appreciate you providing us with amazing feedback. It is nice to see that both you and your neighbors are enjoying the solar panels. We understand that the snow climate can impact the panels' production it is nice to hear some great feedback on ways to improve on that. If something comes up down the line, please give us a call. Our team would be more than happy to help you.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I'm the president of the HOA where I live. The installation team I've had is one that I recommend. The people were very professional. I've had SunPower installed on 40 houses and not one of them had one issue related to installation, like them not coming back to fix something. If anything, they've been overly responsive. The team set up something a few weeks afterward just to make sure people had no problems after the installation. They also scheduled a review after one year so they can follow up. It's been exceptional in the sense of how the crew has been doing it. When we said that we were going to deal with them and put out something on our website saying, “People can choose whatever they want. We've had the best experience with this group.” it really motivated a lot of people to go in that direction.

We asked our homeowners to send something to our management company about anything they've had so that we can give that feedback to the people we've been dealing with. Out of the 55 homes or so that the installation team has done, they've had two issues with connectivity to the monitoring system which were fixed within 48 hours.

The only negative thing that we've had is that there have been so many outages from SunPower when it came to their database maintenance when you go into the actual app. Our biggest complaint is around the monitoring and our owners being able to see what they're producing and what they're using. You go out and you find out that you can't see your usage because there's something that's wrong with the data, and SunPower is trying to fix it.

SunPower response

Hi Anthony, thank you for taking the time out to leave this amazing review. It is exciting to hear how great your experience has been for you and the community with us. It is pleasure to serve y'all. At SunPower, we strive always to provide the best for our customers whether it is through our products or services. If there is something you need from us ever, please feel free to contact us. Thanks again!

Original review: March 12, 2022

To use the sunlight, give back into grid, be a part of solution. If hold prices down helps everyone, and saving is great too! Mark ** is excellent, helpful, informative, and Timely....He responds with lightning speed, Truly. Also, construction team was excellent, paint and stucco repair at new electrical box can’t even know anyone did a thing. Inside garage immaculate. Kudos all around for first class Professionalism!!!

SunPower response

Hi Vincent, thank you for the very kind words. We are so happy to see you thrilled by the service you received from Mark and everyone else on the team that helped you complete this project. Please let us know if there is anything that we can help with in the future.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Help the environment and save money were the factors that led to my decision. The system is performing as promised and the installers were great. The installation was done on time and professionally and the guys were courteous. We could not have had a better experience.

SunPower response

Hi Robert, you made a wonderful choice to go with solar and SunPower, which is leading the industry in that section. We are glad to see that the installation process went smoothly. It is great to see that the system is meeting your expectations so far. Please reach if you ever have a question or a concern that we can help with. Thanks!

Original review: March 12, 2022

Wanted to reduce electric bill and help environment. Had a solar system at previous home and wanted one at new house. Whole experience with Freedom Solar was painless and was completed on time and professionally. Would recommend Freedom Solar to anyone wanting a solar system.

SunPower response

Hi Jackie, thanks for being part of SunPower and helping us create a more sustainable world to live in. We appreciate you taking the time out to leave such a glowing review. We hope you enjoy your new system and the benefits that come along with it. If there is a need that we can take care of in the future, please contact us. Thanks again!

Original review: March 12, 2022

From the salesman who came and presented all the information about solar and the people who installed it, everything was clean, neat, thorough and accurate. We were impressed with the presentation overall. Things worked well and we're extremely happy.

SunPower response

We sincerely appreciate the excellent review. We’re so happy to see that you had a stellar experience during the sales and installation process. Please reach out to us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 11, 2022

The way that they sold the system was as turnkey, which was exactly that. They did all of the permits and they hooked everything up. They gave me explanation of everything that they did every time they were here. So it was very straightforward. It's worth its weight in gold. The electric bill went down by $60 to $70, which matches exactly what Freedom Solar quoted. Freedom connected my solar panels to my wireless device and they gave me an application where I can connect to and keep track of the production and the input and output. SunPower should keep doing an excellent job in providing the application that gives users the input and output of the electricity that is being generated by the solar panels. It's simple to use as well.

SunPower response

Thank you for the kind review and feedback. We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with our products. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: March 10, 2022

We noticed lower energy bills and we really liked the monitoring. When we had our panels installed, one of them wasn't registering and they sent out somebody from the company to fix it.

SunPower response

Catherine, it is great to read you are enjoying your panels and monitoring app. Thanks for sharing and for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 9, 2022

They were all very professional. It took six weeks from the first quote to installation. The installation went well.

SunPower response

We appreciate the feedback and review, Brian. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: March 8, 2022

With SunPower, what stood out to me is the quality of the panels - how resilient they are against breakage and all that. Also, it holds the production for a long time and the production amount doesn't go down that much as opposed to the other ones. It was easy to get ahold of the agents and people who were involved in the process of making the purchase and the installation. During the pandemic, they didn't have enough staff so it took a little while to get it done but I understand. Since going solar, I've seen my bill go down and I can charge my car. I'm happy with my decision.

SunPower response

Hi Ahmad, we are thrilled to see that you are loving the panels so far. It always gives us great joy to see our customers enjoy the wonderful benefits of the panels and how helpful there are to the environment. Let us if there is a need we can take care of later down the line. We appreciate the very kind words you had to say in your review.

Original review: March 7, 2022

SunPower came in and did what they had to do. They were very attentive as far as the process. I've dealt with them in the past, and I was more than happy with their services. They were very easy to deal with. Everything worked out.

SunPower response

We are delighted to see your satisfaction with the installation process. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

SunPower Company Information