4.3/5 (379 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: May 30, 2022

We liked the warranty on the solar units with SunPower and the guaranteed power after 15 years. Most of our experience wasn't with SunPower but it was with the local installer. They were a little rocky. The communication was very slow and poor. The installation went fine once we were able to get to that point, though. The only issue I have is the array is not large enough. I don't have enough solar energy to cover my house. In the summer, we're getting what the array says is supposed to give us, which is what they told us, but it's not enough to cover our needs. Then, solar generation is really poor in the winter. The app that SunPower uses is pretty crappy. It's never worked right and it pushes you over to the website. Still from a solar power perspective, I'm pretty happy.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. We are delighted that you enjoy your solar power. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: May 29, 2022

I was looking for solar panels online. SunPower was able to respond to my questions and was also available with my utility. They were available when I tried to call and had a solution that fit my needs. The only thing that was not clear from the beginning, was that if the grid’s down, the solar panels are down, unless you have some backup solution in place.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services, and we hope you enjoy the new solar system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was easy. It's working great for us. We're very happy with the whole setup and how it all worked together and we're saving money.

SunPower response

We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with your SunPower system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 27, 2022

I love SunPower and Freedom Solar. I like their warranty and that repairs were handled by them and the manufacturer directly, whereas the other ones were never quite clear where the warranty service would come from. I've also noticed savings in the electric bill since using them. The bill was $14 a month.

SunPower response

Nothing cracks a smile quite like a low utility bill. We are happy to hear that you are saving money and receiving clean energy. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. We'd be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I talked to SunPower about 10 years ago because we've been looking at solar on and off for the last 15 years. The program never made any sense for us until this last time with SunPower. The pricing and the savings made sense and that's why we went with them. Part of the reason was also because they had good reviews. They've been around a long time too.

The installation of the panels was fantastic and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Everybody was professional and the process was fast. They also cleaned up after themselves. I'm now spending less per month with SunPower than I was spending on my electric bill. It turned out to be financially worth it so far. I've only had it for three months and I've probably saved 100 bucks over what I would have spent on electricity.

SunPower response

Hi Robert, thanks for the fantastic feedback about your experience with us. We are delighted to have you part of the SunPower family. It brings us joy to see you satisfied with the service and product we provided to you. Our team always strives to provide the best to our customers. Please feel free to reach out if there is something we can assist with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: May 23, 2022

Did a very extensive remodel, which included a new roof, solar panels (16 of them) and the SunPower back-up battery. Since I had such a great experience when I put these in my old home, I used SunPower with my new home...and completely recommend these products!!!

SunPower response

We are thrilled to have earned your endorsement! Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: May 18, 2022

I decided to go solar to help reduce our carbon footprint in the world. We use our bicycles when possible to run errands to reduce our use of petroleum. The Sun Power solar system has met our home's electrical needs 100% in the first full year of operation.

SunPower response

We love that your SunPower system can help support your family's splendid goal! Please reach out in the future with any further questions that may arise or any additional feedback. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 16, 2022

We had become weary of paying PG&E exorbitant rates for electricity, and began by contacting several solar providers. ENERGY CONCEPTS impressed us the most, and became our choice. No regrets! Super fast and efficient installation. All personal contacts were beyond expectations. Our system is up and running, producing energy for our home, and saving us money. Happy customers, here.

SunPower response

Hi, we are so happy to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower system as well as how smooth your installation went. Please reach out in the future with any further questions that may arise or any additional feedback. It is always a goal to see clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Welcome aboard!

Original review: May 15, 2022

After have electric bill over 200. Per month we needed to do something. We talked with a few companies and went with Sun Power. Great people and super products. We are happy that we made the change. Only issue is it's so new we haven't had our first bill.

SunPower response

Hi Oscar, we appreciate the great feedback. Thank you for choosing SunPower as your solar energy provider. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there is a need we can take care of later down the road.

Original review: May 13, 2022

The solar costs were financed and a very competitive rate. The solar loan is lower than our annual electric bill. Our highest bill after solar was the month we turned on our panels, $9.00. We have been getting negative electric bills for 7 months.

SunPower response

Nothing cracks a smile quite like a low utility bill. We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with your SunPower system. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. Our team is always ready to help. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 13, 2022

I did it for the environment but the savings allowed me to make that a now decision over a when decision. They answered every question and helped me understand all the best ways to install and maximize my solar ownership.

SunPower response

We are so privileged to be able to read stories like yours. Thank you for the kind review and feedback. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thank you again for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: May 13, 2022

SunPower was top-rated when it comes to solar panels and they kept on beating everybody else. I'm 100% satisfied going the solar route. My bill is zero, the panels look great, and the service is great. There's an app that they set me up with and I go on the app and check out the energy I'm producing. Customer service was very professional and they kept me up-to-date and informed of when the next step of permits are being submitted as well as the supplies being ordered. I am happy with my experience.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. We're always here to help and are just a call, message, or email away. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 12, 2022

My reason for the call was to establish wifi connection. Mark walk me through the trouble shooting process. Which restarted my system communications. Mark was very professional from start to finish. Thank you Sunpower team for your excellence. I will definitely recommend sunpower to friends and family. Nice job.

SunPower response

It is great to hear your expectations were met during your troubleshoot, Demetrius. We appreciate the recommendation and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 12, 2022

My SunPower sales rep provided me with the education and information to make the best decision with no pressure. With top rated solar panels and a highly experienced installation team, it was easy for me to choose SunPower. It is satisfying to be able to use clean solar energy, send my excess clean solar energy to the grid, and save money all at once. The SunPower app makes it easy to track just how well my system works, and it has been trouble free. The customer service and tech support is top notch!

SunPower response

Alan, we appreciate the review and feedback. It is great to read how happy you are with your system and app. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 12, 2022

I averaged my rating! 5 for product, 0 for support. I like the way the system is set up. Multiple inverters so you don't have a single point failure. Great warranty. Authorized installers are very competent. One company/manufacturer to deal with (more on this later.) For the first 9 months the system didn't work, but you pay for the system from day 1. Call SunPower they say installer problem. Installer checks system. Calls SunPower who reprograms the system and says wait a week. This reoccurred again and again for 8 months without improvement.

I went to the installer's office and made them call SunPower and work out a solution for why my system wasn't working. Within a month SunPower did another reprogramming which finally worked (Note: Caution below). I asked SunPower to reimburse me for the PG&E electric service I had to purchase during the 9 months during which I was also paying SunPower for solar power. I got bounced from one customer service agent to another to another, etc. After 6 months they offered me one-fifth of the expenses I had incurred.

The contract has an Arbitration Clause. I have filed to arbitrate, and they refuse to arbitrate or even acknowledge that the claim has been filed. In short there is no customer service and no arbitration. I'm stuck! Caution: They can program your system in or out of existence - SunPower has total control throughout your system's life. This reminds me so much of the Great Benefits Company in John Grisham's novel The Rainmaker.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I got an email giving an incentive through AAA to get a discount on SunPower. The first steps with them were great. I had a salesperson who helped to price out how much it would cost and how much we would save. This person helped make the process of owning solar panels something that was feasible financially. It’s already saving us money because we took out a loan in order to get the solar panels. Now that it's getting to be summer, our monthly payments are less than they were last year. SunPower was able to estimate that from the beginning, which made the decision to go through with it relatively easy.

There were a couple of hiccups but nothing major and this was dealt with. This had to do with the permitting and setting up most of the stuff on the back end so that I didn't have to be involved in the minutiae of getting all of the things with the utility and the local government. I found that that was really helpful. Now that it's done, it's such a no-brainer to get solar panels because it is thought of as an environmental thing. Also if you have the right roof and the right setup, it saves money.

SunPower response

We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. It's a true delight to hear of your savings! We pride ourselves on our customer service, and see your experience has been no exception. Please reach out to us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 11, 2022

When we first got solar, our bill was $11 and something a month. Even though we're still trying to conserve power and not be crazy, it was nice to know that we knew we had a monthly bill consistent so we could help with budgeting and financing. The government's penalizing people who own solar though. So, we've seen our monthly bill go from $11 to $38 just because we don't use enough energy from the grid. SunPower's app is pretty easy to use. I don't use it very often because it pretty much does what it's supposed to do. You just check and it'll tell you how many kilowatt hours you're producing, consuming, and if you're using the grid or not, and then you could check for the month. You can check for the year, too.

SunPower response

We appreciate you sharing your SunPower experience. It's exciting to have you as part of the SunPower family, and it's such a joy to see your satisfaction with your transition to solar. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 8, 2022

I had a great experience with SunPower from beginning to end. I had a good guy come out and explained everything to me. He was really good and laid everything out very clearly. The installation went very smoothly and my system is running perfectly. I haven’t gotten a bill since then, but I've been noticing they have an app that lets me track my usage. I've been exporting a lot of power to the grid. So, I'm excited about my first bill.

SunPower response

We can't wait to hear about your savings! It's delightful that you have had a splendid SunPower experience from beginning to end. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 7, 2022

I like SunPower. If I can just fully understand it. My son and I, we're having problems understanding it. The seller did an outstanding job. I've had my panels for two months and I have noticed my electric bill has been somewhat less. But we haven't fully understood what we received. I have $500 in there and we haven't figured out how to convert it to our checking account.

SunPower response

Thank you for sharing your SunPower experience. We apologize for any inconvenience and would be happy to help look into this on your behalf. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Please do your research before hiring Sunpower to install panels on your roof. There is very little communication. The process started in December and we are in May and they just got them working. I’ve taken off of work 3 times for them to not show. They charged me for 2 months of having the panels even though they were not turned on. Nobody responds, even the escalation team. There is plenty of competition out there, do not use this company!!!

SunPower response

We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We have updated your case and followed up with your Executive Support Specialist to alert them of your experience. Please expect them to reach out soon, directly.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Enrolling with SunPower was very good and I didn’t have to do anything once it started. It was the same thing with the installation. They just told me that they were gonna come on this day to install and how long it was gonna take. I asked if I had to do anything and they said no. I've been satisfied with going solar up to this point. SunPower did a good job. It’s not always necessary how much it costs for the installation. People have to consider the service they provide afterwards a lot more.

SunPower response

We are thrilled to hear your SunPower installation experience was seamless! Don't hesitate to reach out in the future with any questions or concerns. We sincerely appreciate the feedback, and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 5, 2022

Eugene, the rep, was very informative and straightforward. The installation was great though it took a while because of being a townhome. So, we have an HOA that has to open up the main meter. It's different than a house where everything is in your own personal stuff. So, SunPower had to make an appointment for that. And every time they needed the inspector to come, they would have to make an appointment with HOA to open the meter box again. It was a little more challenging. The panels were installed in early January and then, it was there for a month. The planets aligned in February and the thing got going. I just paid $20 for my gas bill the other day. So, it was better than 280 that I was paying every month.

SunPower response

We are so pleased to hear that you are saving money and enjoying clean energy. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. We'd be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I had solar at a prior home and the home that I bought was a new construction with Shea Homes. I purchased a 5-kilowatt system with the home and it was a SunPower system. When I moved in, it was all hooked up and I found out based on some improvements that I had made, that the 5 kilowatts weren’t covering all my energy needs. So, I added another 4 kilowatts. And because I wanted to make sure that the system was compatible, I only worked with solar contractors that used the SunPower product. The sales rep was great, very knowledgeable and respectful of our time. His presentation made the decision easy and SunPower’s price was competitive. The financing that they offered through a local credit union helped us make the decision to move forward with the expense.

The installers, Mulholland Electric, were good. They came out, got on it and finished it quickly. There was one little hiccup though. And I'm not sure whether it was theirs or on SunPower’s end. I made it clear when I signed the contract that when I get the reporting data through the SunPower app, I didn't want to have to monitor a 5-kilowatt system and the new 4-kilowatt system. I wanted the data to be reported as if it was one 9-kilowatt system. They had to install a second inverter so there was a little bit of complication with trying to get the two systems to report as one. And it seemed as though that went back to SunPower corporate. It took a little bit more effort on my part to make that happen than I would have liked but it finally got worked out.

I'm not a big fan of the SunPower app. It's not very user-friendly in terms of graphing and the way that it graphically presents the information. I can figure it out but it's not as simple as it should be. I had a prior SunPower app with the first system, which was easier and better to interact with than the current one. But I'm also not somebody who sits there and logs into my app every day. I have friends that show their solar generating capabilities on their phones as if it's their grandkid’s pictures. Instead of working, just watching the kilowatts app. I don't do that. So, it's not a big issue.

SunPower response

We appreciate your sharing your SunPower experience. Your feedback is essential to us in improving our services. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thank you again for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Once we found out about SunPower being behind RENOVA, we researched it and found how long they've been in business, and then all the parts they use for a system were SunPower, and we liked that, which was also why we went with RENOVA and SunPower. Everything was wonderful. It was fabulous the whole way through. SunPower was right on it and they were in touch. The worst part was waiting. Once we got approved, RENOVA was backed up because so many people are going solar. So, we had to wait four months for it to be installed. But once they put it in, they only took less than a week to install. I have the app on my phone and we can check to see how much solar power we're generating. I feel pleased to get it because Edison is going up and up and this is a good move for us.

I have called about the loan and then, I called about the final paperwork. And whenever I've had to call SunPower, they were super nice people. They were very courteous, helpful, answered everything and got it straightened out right away. The other day, our internet provider changed our router so we had to change the Wi-Fi code and had a little trouble with that. I called SunPower and the guy walked us right through it and then, he told us he would monitor all weekend just to make sure that it stayed going, and it did. Our salesman was the same way because I could still call him if I have issues. SunPower is a great company and I'm happy with them. I love them. I recommended my neighbor and she's going with them now, too.

SunPower response

What an excellent review! We are so happy to hear of your savings and satisfaction with our products. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered! We appreciate you recommending your neighbor, and we hope you don't forget that you can earn cash for referrals through the Share SunPower program. Here is a link: http://ow.ly/gWX650FfkQW

Original review: May 2, 2022

James, my salesman, was great. If I had any questions, he was right there to answer them for me. The installation went smooth and fast. They had all the panels up within a day. In one way, the SunPower system is good because in the summertime, I end up with credits every month. The only thing that I didn't care for and still don't like is that when my year came up with the electric company, the electric company tried to change the terms on me if I had overages. Everyone I went to after the first-year contract was up does the same thing. They change it up to where if you are overproducing, they're not going to reimburse you.

For instance, last July, I had produced 2,300 kilowatt hours. I only used 800 so I had 1,500 overage. With the new plan that they tried to get me to go with, they would reimburse me up to my usage. So, if I produce 2,300 again this July and only use 800, they’ll reimburse me for 800 of it then still use the other 1,500 for free. That’s crazy. Why would anybody do that? I got 43 panels for a reason. I felt as if that could have been explained to me before I decided to do 20-year investment for $50,000. These energy companies are gonna make it to where I’m gonna end up paying a light bill in the wintertime and pay for the panels. That's not what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm supposed to be building up everything in the summertime so I don't have any kind of bill in the winter. That was the ultimate idea.

The way they explained it to me was that I'd get 100%. The first company that they sent me to charge 14.9 cents then they reimburse me 14.9 cents per kilowatt hour. The best I could find out there is they’ll charge me 14.9, and pay me 9.4 up to a limit. But I still have to keep on paying. I wouldn’t have done the panels if I'd had known that.

SunPower response

It's delightful that James provided a positive experience, and we're so pleased that you've been enjoying your SunPower system. We apologize that you have had a negative experience with the electric company and sincerely appreciate your feedback. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: May 1, 2022

SunPower's reps were very good. Also, we are very satisfied with the installers. They were very fast and professional.

SunPower response

It's delightful that you experienced a fast and professional installation. We sincerely appreciate the feedback, and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I've been very satisfied. Going solar has given me a credit on my Edison bill for the last year. Their team was also very professional. I had one issue regarding the programming of the panel and it was resolved over the course of a couple of weeks.

SunPower response

Hi Vernon, thanks for the positive review. We are delighted to see you happy with the service you received from our team. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist with down the line. Our team is always ready to help. Thanks again!

Original review: April 29, 2022

After I interviewed close to 10 different companies, I both liked the people from SunPower who came to present their product, and I liked the product. I also liked SunPower's history of length in business, and their reviews online. They provided me with direct phone numbers of the installer, their cell phone numbers, if I have a problem. And the communication has been great. Also, the installation was efficient. The installer was knowledgeable. And not only did he instruct me as to who would put things up, they did everything completely and neatly. I'm already seeing a tremendous reduction in my bill. SunPower is a quality company that stands behind their product.

SunPower response

We are delighted to have earned your glowing recommendation and appreciate the positive feedback. It's always a pleasure to provide our customers with the best service possible. We are glad to hear that the installation was efficient and executed neatly. Please reach out to us in the future if there is a need we can assist. Please reach out any time you have a question in the future. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Working with SunPower's reps was great. I already had solar and I was replacing it, and the whole thing has been replaced with SunPower.

SunPower response

Original review: April 27, 2022

The sales rep from SunPower was professional. Everything seems to go fine with SunPower.

SunPower response

It's delightful that you experienced professional service! Please reach out to us in the future with any questions you may have. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

SunPower Company Information