Get Started

2. Solar Energy

4.5/5 (358 ratings)

About SunPower

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners and businesses with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I talked to lots of different companies and with SunPower, if I have a problem, no matter what it is, I just have to call my company and they take care of it. I didn't have to work with a bunch of different companies if I ever had a problem. Some companies tell you, "It's your inverter so you got to contact the company that makes the inverter." I'm happy with the experience so far.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

My wife liked the agent from SunPower and the panels. The agent said the panels give out higher amount of energy and the power loss is very low over an extended period of time. I had looked at another company first, and they were gonna put up enough panels to where it would have done 108% of our usage. When we met with the Energy Concepts guy, he said they couldn't do that. They were going to do it at 103%. I said, “Okay. There’s still a little bit of a leeway.” When they put it up and we read the paperwork, it was at 100%. There was no leeway. I haven’t talked to them yet to find out if we used more energy than the previous year, or if it underperformed a little because we only had the panels cleaned once. So, that could be part of it too. Other than that, we’re crazy about going solar. Even with the worst case scenario, we’re still saving lots of money. I really like the SunPower app, too, because I can go on there at any time and see what power it's generating, what it's done from the beginning, any month, year to date, daily or hourly. It’s really easy to use.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

They had really great reviews online and they were very nice to talk to. They were great to work with during the enrollment. The installation was great too.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I looked at various rating programs and technical data and it became evident that SunPower seemed to have pretty much the best solar panels available as far as watts per panel. It's probably 100 watts per panel more than it used to be five years ago. We also like the idea of a single supplier providing all the parts. I'm a retired engineer, so I kinda understand if you have parts from different manufacturers coming together, there are always potential problems and finger pointing. Based on the technical information I saw in a packet, we could get a total composite solution from SunPower and that was kind of the deciding factor.

The physical installation went pretty good with our contractor, Sheffield Solar. But it was a little bit complex because we have a shop in a house and we wanted the panels on the shop because of greater sun availability. A part of it was PG&E seemed to be very unresponsive as far as getting the approval. We viewed the PUC and the PG&E articles and they mentioned a 30-day approval cycle. But we were over 90 days once the physical installation was complete before we finally got authorization from PG&E to connect the system. Our contactor responded to all their requests, but they kept asking questions that should have been asked for quite a while.

With the equipment and the overall app overview, we're very happy. It's just the lack of response from SunPower's customer service phone line we have issues with. The initial customer service contact for SunPower is a pity. It's about as low as you can get. We couldn't get any information from the app and I kept telling them our Wi-Fi has been up and we have other devices that we have not had a problem with but they kept saying it was a Wi-Fi problem. The also said they would check into it and give us information either via mail or a phone call. But we never did hear anything back from the three different customer service reps. We finally contacted their local contractor and when he was contacting the initial customer service phone number, he had the same response that we did. But he knew who he had to get ahold of. He went through and got through the the second or third level of technical experts to get the problem solved.

Our contractor has the ability to see what's going on with the panels and a little bit more real-time data but I wish I had a little bit more technical visibility of how the panels are doing, what is the actual current we're getting, etcetera. I'm a little bit unhappy with the lack of technical visibility we have with what's going on with our system. That was one of the issues I sent an email to customer service making a request. I'd like to have something as basic as a revision level for the SunPower app because there's no way to know what level I've got. They said they will forward it to their people and give me some feedback. Again, I never heard anything about that. It's a simple request and with most of the other applications, you can see what revision level you have online.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

The sales rep that I talked to was a very nice person. SunPower is a very good company. But I would like to have an update of whether the panels are working really good or not as they were originally because they have a contract that it will work for 45 years.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

When we signed up with them, we had some complication paperwork-wise, but we got it solved. There was good communication. The installation crew did a pretty good job. They came when they did, and cleaned on the work, and picked up after themselves.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Between the warranty and the product, I liked SunPower overall. The rep, Kelsey, did a good job. We've ended up talking all through the whole waiting period. It was also very easy from the time they came out and stalled it. There was a minor hiccup but they got it going and we're very satisfied with the product at this point. Hopefully, we’ll start seeing the reduction in our bill, and we'll even be happier.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

SunPower panels themselves work well.. I made the mistake of leasing the panels as I live in a high wind prone area near the Cajon Pass in So. Cal. so if the wind damaged them, they would repair them for the length of the lease at 20 years. That was my logic at the time .. What I've learned since is that I will Never EVER sign a lease with Sun Power again.. It's Horrible.. They put a lien on your home and don't tell you.. So every time you go to borrow money it's an issue, and God forbid you refi your home to try and get a better interest rate.. They try to charge $300 for paperwork and it delays everything you are trying to accomplish.. Not to mention all the games SCE is playing with "Time of Use".. So now when your panels should be creating the most energy at the highest rate.. Sorry, nope. They change the rules to benefit themselves and not us by making the peak time from 4-9 at night when the panels don't create any energy..

It's a joke.. But the worst is the lease.. Don't just walk away.. RUN.. It's the worst, and I have 20 years to deal with this HUGE mistake... Terrible terrible terrible.. Recently I tried to buy the system as I've been dealing with this mess since 2013, They wanted more for it now at $34k than when I made the mistake of going with the lease. In 2013 I could have purchased the system for $31k and probably less back then with the available rebates .. Now at the end of this lease I will have paid over $52K.. STAY AWAY from this mess of a lease experience with Sun Power at all costs.. Horrible Horrible Horrible...

SunPower response

Hi Kevin, we're sorry that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to address your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I did a little bit of research online, and SunPower seemed to me as one of the higher-rated brands. I got a quote from them and another company. SunPower’s quote was low, and their schedule seemed to be a little bit quicker. The installation was pretty quick and easy. I didn't really have to do much once I got the quote and gave my information to the group through Jeff. They did the installation in one day. Everything was stress-free. SunPower walked me through each step of the process step by step. They called me when it kinda reached the next step of each phase. After the installation, we finalized some stuff to be able to turn the system on and then the inspector came out.

I had an issue when the app with the box wasn’t picking up the internet. After I reset the modem, it kept searching for my internet. It wasn’t connecting to that network. I kept searching, and it would just stay on that searching window for hours. I sent an email to SunPower and I got a response really quickly. They told me to do and there were a couple things that they ran me through, which I had already done because I'm used to those kind of things. It seemed they were kind of just going through the norm, and none of that really fixed it. I kept coming up with the same issues.

I tried something and it said, "Connect to network." But it was still stuck on that searching mode forever. So I tried to explain this to SunPower and they told me to give them a couple of days and they would look into it and come back. But I didn't hear back from them. I haven't checked in a few days, but now that I opened it, it seemed that it’s connected. It must have connected on its own. So that’s good.

There's a part in the SunPower app that a little unclear. It shows how much I produced and used. It goes positive for when I'm producing a bunch but then, it kinda goes negative. So there are the green and blue bar charts. The green shows what I'm producing through my solar panels. The blue shows what I've used, but it's -1 kilowatt from 9:00 to 10:00 and then -0.37 kilowatt hours from 10:00 to 11:00. So it'd be nice if they could say how much I'm making and using and then the difference between the two bar charts is how much I'm giving back to PG&E. But for the most part, they have pretty awesome service and they were pretty decent in terms of installation.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I recommend SunPower. It was good enrolling with them. They were very informative. They put in exactly what they said they were going to. The contractor was very good with the installation and did it in a couple of days. The first time, they came in and prepped the roof. The second time, after we got the approval by the city, they came in and installed the panels, and it took another day was for them to inspect it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

The whole process was very good. I highly recommend them. They've kept me informed and when they promised a date, they always kept it. So far, I'm very pleased.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

We're good with SunPower. The sales rep has given what I need and the installation was very smooth.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I liked the way they handled themselves when they came to where they explained everything, and I feel confident in them. They laid out the steps to proceed and everything went like it was supposed to. Everything's working well.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

The sales representative was great. We were originally in contact with one gentleman, and unfortunately, he had a stroke. This man that took over for him was picking up where he left off and helping support the other guy's family. It was an honorable thing. The installation went really well too. It's been a year since we've had the system installed and the bill is way lower. I would highly recommend SunPower. We've had nothing but a great experience with them and no problems with our system at all.

Original review: July 31, 2021

The solar panels are working very well. They’re estimated running 1,000 kilowatt hours per month, and it’s running 1,700. So that's pretty good and we’re ahead of the game. We had a lot of sunshine the last two months, so that’s great. But I can’t understand why I still get a bill from PG&E. I called Clayton and he is checking into it.

Original review: July 31, 2021

My daughter got SunPower on her house a couple years ago and she was very happy with it. When I enrolled with SunPower, the sales rep knew how the process would go with the permits and the installation. Everything that he said was accurate. Install King came out and they were very professional. I was very happy with the whole experience.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I did a lot of research and liked the fact that SunPower had the leading products, the best efficiency, the most power per panel, and it was all one full system to do everything as opposed to using various different vendors for the different pieces to put it together. I also got a couple of other prices and there were a few that were a little less but with lower level efficiency panels or their financing options were nowhere near as good as what SunPower had. So, although it was more expensive than some of the other choices, I felt that going with SunPower was the best option.

During all of the purchase and the setup, they were very responsive and they took care of everything all the way through to signing the papers and answering questions. They were very timely as well in getting through everything. But once everything was signed, I didn't like how a couple of things went as the process went faster than was expected. My work had me out at a lot of different sites, I'm not always at home, and there were appointments that came up with a day notice. In general, for a lot of people, that would be amazing to have it come up that quickly. But it was a challenge for me trying to get those scheduled appropriately and being able to be available at home when the appointments happened. So in a couple of cases, I had to have somebody else come over and be here while the techs were here, because I couldn't do it.

My parents also got a quote through SunPower that was what we expected it would be. But SunPower was sticking to certain guidelines of how many panels they could put on the roof surface. They were using a third party SunPower installer who was going to do pool heat and they put more panels on the roof because it's a garage versus a living space. At least in San Diego where I'm at, there are limitations on how close to the peak and the edge of the roof they can go with panels. On a living space, they have to follow those rules. But on a garage, they don't. And SunPower Direct didn't want to vary from that, even though it wasn't the living space.

Original review: July 30, 2021

The construction of the panels themselves were what I was most impressed with. It may very well be the construction was very similar with the other ones, but the SunPower rep took the time to point out things that I liked where no one else did that, so it made me think that there was some difference there. He had taken the time to tell me about the panels and how the copper underneath the cells were holding it together. If one cell became damaged or cracked, it won't take out the entire cell or take out an entire bank. Taking that time to explain the construction and why the panels themselves will last 25-plus years definitely did it for me. Once the permit was done, I got one DocuSign from utility that I signed. Then I got an email from them saying, "We're reviewing it." About a week later, I got another email from them saying, "Okay. You're good to go. Turn it on."

Original review: July 29, 2021

My sales rep was really nice and he answered all the questions. He was really helpful and when I asked him how come my bill is high, he said it will take a couple months. But I’m already in that system, so it’s just a matter of time for it to kick in. The installation people were also really nice. It's been raining and it doesn't seem like anything is leaking yet, so that's good. But the power in my garage area goes out sometimes, so I’ve been trying to have them fix that. They claimed they came out and went to fix it, but I’m still having the issue and my breaker’s still showing off in the garage. So, they don’t know what’s going on. Other than that, I’m happy with SunPower.

Original review: July 29, 2021

SunPower has the most efficient solar panels. Steve, their rep, was amazing. He also made a very positive impression. He came to the house, sat down and answered all of our questions. He was very patient with us. It took a long time for us to make that decision. But when we made the decision, he was there and worked with us through the whole process. It was great. The installation went well. Anything we ran into, Steve corrected on the spot. We received the first bill, and it looks like we are going to have a huge cost saving.

Original review: July 28, 2021

My sales rep was great and my enrollment with SunPower went smoothly. It took a few weeks but once the installation started, they spent four days on it and the process went pretty quickly.

Original review: July 28, 2021

SunPower's contractor, California Solar, was very good. They were very efficient and the installation got done very quickly. SunPower did their job.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Everything went well with our SunPower installation. They're a good company to work with.

Original review: July 22, 2021

My wife and I did an extensive review when we decided to switch to solar panels and save money on our electric bills. After much reviews, we decided to go with SunPower. I spoke with Justin ** and his brother who are representative of the company and they were both good sweet talker who explain why solar SunPower is the best options for my home. At a point, I was going to change my mind, Justin promised if I go through the installation they will give me $1000 covid relief visa card. Installation crew were excellent and on point. The whole process was very seems less which I appreciate. My installation to going live with the solar was completed May 17 2021. Lo and behold, I have tried many attempts to reach Justin ** and his brother through text message and email but blatantly ignored all my messages and text. Shame! Shame! Shame! If a company cannot stand by their promise to their customers does not deserve anyone's business.

SunPower response

Hi Solomon, thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. I'm discouraged to hear of your negative experience with your SunPower dealer. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to address your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

Original review: July 20, 2021

We bought our home in April 2020. In mid and late 2020 we had months of very little production. They were aware of it and said they have a performance guarantee. So on the anniversary date I received a bill from Electric co. for 1, 037.00. Several months of no production caused this outrageous bill. They only want to give me, as a performance guarantee, big joke, 131.00. Don't use SUNPOWER. We had no choice of solar companies when we bought our retirement home in a 55 community.

SunPower response

Hi Vicki, I apologize for the experience you've had with us. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to address your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I would not recommend this company based upon their horrible app and customer service turnaround. The solar monitoring has completely and continuously lost connection multiple times in the first few months of the new install. The app went from; not having the ability to input wifi connection information, to having it, to not having it again. It has been almost 2 weeks waiting for resolution of my repeat issue. They repeatedly provided me with troubleshooting steps of which only half were able to be performed due to their lacking app. Don't waste your time with SunPower.

SunPower response

Hi James, we apologize for the experience you have had. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Original review: July 16, 2021

By and large, enrolling with SunPower was super easy. Everything went really smoothly, though the installation team drilled into the roof a little bit and made some damage. But they came back and repaired it. All in all, their customer service was good and so far, I am running a surplus of electricity.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I heard that the SunPower company is working with another heating and air company. I was really interested in the power, and I wanted air conditioning and an upgraded electrical panel, so I was able to get all that in one. The installation was right in the beginning of COVID, when everything was crazy. But we were able to get it done. All the techs from all the trades were professional and it went smoothly. I just wish I had batteries because technically, I can still lose power if it's turned off. I really didn't think about it and I didn't have room for it. Ultimately, I just thought I was doing the right thing.

Original review: July 9, 2021

We wanted to solar to help save on electricity bills now and into the future. My boss referred me, and from other companies we spoke with, Sun Power felt right. Totally pleased with the service and overall experience. I will for sure refer the company to people who are looking for solar.

Original review: July 9, 2021

It was a painless and easy experience with SunPower. I'm happy going solar and in fact, my brother-in-law is gonna be putting it on his house pretty soon.

SunPower Company Information