SunPower

4.6/5 (389 ratings)

About SunPower Reviews

Changing the way our world is powered by making solar and storage more accessible to everyone. SunPower is a solar company that provides reliable energy solutions for homeowners with the most comprehensive warranty in the solar industry. Known for its top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels, SunPower solutions have the ability to generate more power than conventional solar technologies.

Pros

• Long warranty
    • Variety of financing solutions
    • Broad U.S. dealer network

Cons

• PPAs for commercial clients only

Bottom Line

SunPower offers the world's first 400 watt solar panels, which use less space. The company offers competitive lease and loan products, its solar panels are guaranteed to not lose more than 8% DC power production over 25 years.

SunPower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunPower?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I decided to go solar because I thought it would lower my monthly power bills & provide our power needs when the grid goes down. Instead, my bills have either stayed the same or increased. Since the installation is just a couple of months old, I'm being patient and allowing the distributor/dealer to fix problems and make adjustments in the system. If this continues, however, I will not be a happy camper and will make that known to friends and family as well as those who read my reviews in social media.

SunPower response

Hi Gordan, thanks for the feedback. We apologize that your system is not meeting your expectations since you had them. We are glad to see that you reached out to the dealer for a resolution. Please keep us updated on the situation and if there is anything we can help with on our end. Our team is always ready to assist.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I love the product and how it works. It is too hard to reach a real person at SunPower before, during and after installation. They have a real customer service issue. Also, I had to deal with too many different customer service people as I did my installation in December. The product is great and I get all the solar I need when it's sunny.

SunPower response

We truly appreciate you providing us with such great insight regarding your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you had a hard time reaching out to the customer service team. Our team will be notified about this and will work together to improve on it. If there is something we can assist with in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

The Service One installers sucked and I had to call them back everything time. I had piss poor customer service from them. But SunPower intervened and got everything done. I had them continuously calling Service One to get something done because I hadn't heard from them for almost two months after getting everything financially approved. I contacted SunPower to get everything rectified and they did that. The system is living up to expectations and producing exactly the production I thought it would.

SunPower response

Anthony, we appreciate the feedback and are thrilled to know we were able to help turn things around for you. We are so happy to hear your system is working to your expectations and hope you reach out in the future any time you have a question. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

SunPower was very transparent about everything and we appreciated it. The crew that came out and installed it was great. They had to repair a shingle and they went out and did it. Wherever they were installing something on the side of the house, they went and got matching paint and painted the side ‘cause we didn't have any extra paint. We're thrilled with our decision to go solar.

SunPower response

Hello Karen, we appreciate the wonderful feedback. Thanks for choosing SunPower and helping us create a more sustainable world to live in. It brings us joy to hear that our crew handled the whole process professionally and delivered high-quality service to you. If there are any inquiries we can help with down the line, please reach out to us. Thanks again!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

The salesman explained and went through everything with us. He told us about the whole tax thing and whatnot. The guys who installed the panels did a great job. Then the salesman did a follow-through and called us after it was installed. So far, we haven’t had any issues. It's been doing its thing.

SunPower response

We are thrilled to see that your project went smoothly and all the salesman took good care of you, Chris. The team truly appreciates your feedback it means a lot to us on ways we can improve our services. Dont's hesitate to contact us if there is a need in the future that we can assist with. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I like that I have solar, but it's not entirely financially liberating. The energy I produce covers the cost of the electricity itself on my bills, but there is also a delivery fee that I wasn't entirely aware of how that was billed, which I still pay. I think that's just the way that utilities are setting up their systems so that they can still have some revenue coming from customers who are partially off the grid. But I liked the sales rep. He was good. I can also track the progress with solar panels through an app. Overall, everybody should go solar who has a good roof angle for the sun. It's worthwhile.

SunPower response

Hi Christopher, thanks for providing us with great feedback. We are thrilled to hear that the system is worthwhile and you're enjoying it so far. Feel free to contact us if there is anything we can assist with in the future. Our team is always ready to help.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Enrollment was all virtual over the phone since COVID, but the experience overall was good. The process went very well on the installation. I no longer own the house with the SunPower, but I was very happy with it. It was a good product. They have smaller, more efficient panels and I didn’t have to have as many.

SunPower response

Donald, it is a delight to read about your wonderful experience with enrollment, the installation, and your panels. We appreciate the review and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

The rep was so nice to me. Very informative. He was such a nice man and explained everything. He told me what the process was. And he told me he would email me all the plans and the rates as far as my payment, and what my options were as far as financing, which I appreciated. The actual design was different than what they put on my house. The installer looked at me and said, "You know what? It will be better this way." And he changed it a bit. I said, "Yeah! That is so much better." "Aesthetically?" "Yes!" He reduced the panels on the front and put it more on the back, which I was so happy with. Because I don't want all this stuff on the front my house. I have a ranch house, so it would have been a lot of panels on the front. I'm so appreciative of that. I've already told others, "Go with this company. This is the company. Go!" And they said okay. SunPower is a 10 out of 10. I'm in default, so I don't even get a bill. And gas is crazy. So, I’m so glad I did this.

SunPower response

Hi, we are overwhelmed with joy to see that you love your panels and to hear of your savings. We truly appreciate your feedback. It is nice to hear that you had a great experience with the sales team, and they provided excellent support. It's always a pleasure to provide our customers with the best service possible. If you have any needs in the future, please reach out to us for help. Thank you so much for this glowing recommendation and for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Prior to moving to Connecticut, I worked in the Solar Cell manufacturing side, as a supplier to manufacturers of Cells, and SunPower was a customer of mine. After moving to the East coast, I decided I wanted to install Solar to help manage my energy cost; reduce my reliance on the grid and contribute the environmental benefits of Solar. Earthlight was the most professional team I've worked with personally and professionally. Excellent Communication, planning and exceeded my expectations.

SunPower response

Brian, It is wonderful to read about the excellent communication, planning, and installation you experienced. We are so happy to have you join our solar family and help us change the way our world is powered! Congratulations on your new system, and thank you for the amazing review and feedback.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

We got our first set of solar panels back in 2012, and we love them so much but we couldn't afford to pay to cover our electric bill completely. So in 2017, we went back and got enough to take care of our whole bill. Then we bought a beach house. We called SunPower back for a third time to put solar panels on that house. We recommended them to my sister who's got them. They're a great product. Our SunPower team is South Coast Solar and they're very responsive. If I had another property, I'd put more on them. They provide good service.

SunPower response

Adrienne, it is wonderful to read your solar story. We are thrilled you have continued to add panels and systems to your properties over time, and how satisfied you are with our products. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and it is thrilling to hear your sister has also our solar family. Thank you for the amazing review and for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

SunPower handled all three things. We also like the warranty on the roof and the panels. There were just two things of concern. One was that we got a surprise about having to replace all the roof. We were just expecting to replace some of it. Also, the fact that we were told we were charged for two, but once the roofers got up there and started tearing it down, they told us they were charging us for three. Nobody ever really went on the roof when we got the estimate. I would have appreciated somebody actually getting up on there and taking a closer look and saying that we would be charged for three 'cause they pretty much took our word saying that we just had two.

Then a couple weeks ago, we noticed that the panels were supposed to be put on two different sides of the roof. But they were able to fit it all on one roof. What we just discovered was that they took one of our plumbing vents on the roof and they connected an elbow to it then they ran it across the roof underneath the panels and brought it back up so that they could place the panels on top. We didn't know that they had done that and so we were not happy about that part. We sent some emails asking about what that is. They claimed there won't be any problems. But we're going to hire a plumber and have him come out and tell us what exactly is that vent for and which room does that goes to.

SunPower response

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time out to leave a positive review. It's wonderful to hear that the project phase went great overall and the warranty is a huge plus for you. We apologize for the way your roofing situations could've been handled a lot better. The feedback you provided will be passed along to the team for further improvements to be made. Feel free to reach out if there is a concern or question we can address down the line. Thanks again!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Mainly so we would have power when SCE shuts down. Savings nice benefit in addition to peace of mind knowing we have power. Very pleased with Sun Power by Sun solar. Employees are very professional. I would highly recommend this company and urge people to consider solar.

SunPower response

Hi Judy, thanks for taking the time out to leave a review for us. We are thrilled to see you satisfied with our service and product. SunPower always aims to provide our customers with the best possible results. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may need in the future.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I got quotes, estimates, and schedules from three different solar companies and the SunPower representatives met my requirements. The install team was very hands-on and personable. They said they would get it done in one day, and they put up 23 panels in one day. I liked the potential savings, provided that California didn't screw everything up. My last two bills were $20 versus about 250 for this time of year. Also, I keep track of what I'm producing through the SunPower app on my phone. It gives me all the information I need. I’d definitely recommend SunPower.

SunPower response

Hi Chuck, we appreciate the kind words. It brought us such joy reading your review. We are so happy to hear that you are saving money and receiving clean energy. Please reach out to us with any questions or concerns in the future. We'd be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and the glowing recommendation!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I decided to go solar for environment, cut daily electrical costs due to medical equipment and just do the best thing for our future. SunPower was really nice to work with and I would recommend Ambrose/SunPower as a great representative of Solar business.

SunPower response

Janice, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and provide us with some insight into your reason for going solar. It is wonderful to read how satisfied you are with our team and product. We are sincerely grateful for your recommendation and are here anytime you have a question or concern in the future. Congratulations on going solar and thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

The panels work great. You just need to clean them after a fire or dusty season to keep the efficiency up to par. The installers were extremely professional and executed a seamless installation in just 1 day plus they painted the conduit lines so it matches the walls in my garage. Great!

SunPower response

We are so privileged to be able to read stories like yours. Thank you for the kind review and feedback. Here at SunPower, we stand behind our product and customer service. We are always here to listen and assist and just a call, message, or email away. Thank you again for helping us change the way our world is powered.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

This is our second solar installation using SunPower and Renova Energy. We feel by installing a SunPower system, we are accomplishing two priorities - minimizing an adverse impact on our climate and capturing electricity costs at a point in time knowing electricity will continue to rise in cost.

SunPower response

We are so happy to hear of your satisfaction with your SunPower system. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be more delighted with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

Decided to go solar for financial reasons. So far I have been pretty happy with the system, however there have been a couple of glitches I will explain. Was told it would be about 60 days for the installation of the panels - it was about 90. The system has been hooked up for over a month now and the engineer was here yesterday to fix the monitor system which hasn't worked correctly yet. It may work correctly now, but I will have to see.

SunPower response

Hi Ronald, we appreciate you providing us with important and helpful feedback about your experience. We are sorry to hear that you how long it took for the system to be installed and the monitoring issue you are having. Please keep us updated regarding the fix that was made by the engineer. Feel free to contact us if you still need further assistance. Our team is always ready to assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

With a pool pump having to run for several hours per day on top of a house with two boys that leave every light on in the house, we decided to go solar for the environment and to save money in the long run. I’m happy with Sunpower’s equipment, but the installation was just so so. If you have a light weight concrete tile roof it’ll cost more and depending on the roofing company, may result in poor workmanship. Sunpower’s contractor left an uneven tile line that’s kinda visible and a few broken tiles as a result from troubleshooting after the roofers were done. They also hit an external drainage line when drilling to install the grounding Rod which was never fix. Like I said, I’m happy with the product, just not the install.

SunPower response

Thank you for providing us with great feedback that can help us improve our services, even more, Jeff. I apologize for the subpar experience you had with the installation process. We have located your account in our system and have created a case with our executive support specialist team regarding the experience and damage caused during the installation. Our team member will contact you for further assistance to get this issue resolved soon as we can.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

We chose Sunpower for their longevity and common 25 year warranty on everything, including production. They delivered on their promise to handle nearly everything for us and our system is up and running as promised. The system works well with our electric car and makes more than we use.

SunPower response

We appreciate the wonderful review you posted, Richard. It brings us great joy to see the benefits our customers experience with solar. We are thrilled to hear that all your expectations have been met so far and everything is running smoothly. Feel free to reach out if there is an issue or question we can handle for you later down the line. Thanks again!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I did not like the idea of having to pay for electricity at a fluctuating rate for the rest of my life when there was an option to do something about it. I’ve had solar with Sunpower for just over one year now and so far so good.

SunPower response

Hi Will, thank you for your kind words. We are glad to see that you are enjoying your experience of going solar and having a great time with it so far. Let us know if there is an issue or concern we address in the future.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Wanted to help the environment…lead the way in sustainable energy! We used Cal Solar in Grass Valley and they installed Sun Power panels, our preference. They worked well with our roofing company, came over to show us how to read the Sun Power app to track our usage, and generally showed professional dedication through the whole project.

SunPower response

Thank you for taking out the time to provide us with positive feedback, Catherine. We are truly happy to have part of the SunPower family and helping us pave the road to creating a more sustainable world to live in. Our team worked hard to create the app. It's great to see that you're enjoying the app and features that are available on it. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

From the first meeting with Earthlight (my local SunPower installer) to getting my system up and running has been a great experience. I talked with 7 other installers that install other panels over the course of a year before I met with the SunPower installer. The choice was clear that SunPower/Earthlight was the best option. I chose to pay for my system outright, but all loan/lease options are offered as well. Earthlight was on top of everything, and made it clear how the process with permits and inspections was going along the way. The install team was efficient, clean, and did everything perfectly. My system is working great! I already referred two people in a short time.

SunPower response

Hi Brian, thank you for the important feedback and for choosing SunPower. You made a great decision with purchasing your own system. We are excited to see that the authorized installer treated you well and your experience with them went wonderful. Feel free to contact us for any needs we can assist with in the future. Thanks again!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

My sisters in had used SunPower and were very satisfied. I knew that this would help my over all living costs and keep our rates lower in the future. We are very satisfied!! This has been good for us financially and the payment plan is lower than the monthly costs of the power provided by the local city.

SunPower response

Hi Judie, thank you for the amazing feedback. It brought us joy reading your review seeing the difference solar energy has made for you. We are happy to see you satisfied with the experience you had with us so far and we hope it continues that way in the future. Please contact us if there is something we can assist with down the line.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

The installation was pretty smooth. I'm pleased with the product and I was satisfied.

SunPower response

Hi Anthony, thank you for leaving a review for us. We are happy to hear that you had an amazing experience and you are satisfied with the product. Please reach out to us if there is a concern or question we address later on.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We were very pleased with the entire process of designing, installation and power output from SunPower panels and Freedom Solar. The staff were always available to answer our questions on technology, working with our local power company and federal tax credit. It seems that the effects of global warming are accelerated and extreme. Everyone should do their part to reduce greenhouse gases. Rooftop solar panels are our contribution to this effort.

SunPower response

We're so glad you're enjoying better, cleaner energy! We are so thrilled to see how satisfied you are with your SunPower experience. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I went Solar to help the environment and save some money. It took a awhile to get the system in service but after replacing some modules I got it to work. I also installed a backup battery to ensure that during power outage I still have some power.

SunPower response

Marco, it is wonderful to hear your success story! We are so proud to hear how happy you are with your system and that you have expanded its depth and it continues to live up to your expectations. It is always a pleasure seeing clients happy and confident with their results in choosing SunPower. Thanks for helping us change how our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

The customer service has been great. They explained to me all the details about getting solar, their products are exceptional, and they are keeping me updated on the timeline to install my new solar system.

SunPower response

We are so thrilled to see how satisfied you are with the installation process. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and couldn't be happier with this glowing review. Thank you so much for choosing SunPower and helping us change the way the world is powered.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Enrolling was easy, installation went well, and we liked the panels. Also, our bill shows that we made the correct decision, and we are very happy about it. We would definitely recommend SunPower.

SunPower response

Irina, it is wonderful to read about your wonderful experience with the installation. We are delighted to hear you are happy with the results your panels are providing and appreciate your recommendation and review. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

We signed up for solar for environmental reasons. We want to do something for future generations. We really like our system. The one negative is you keep making us sign-in to the system, which requires both me and my husband to go find our passwords and login information to sign in. I have not been able to use my SunPower app, cause I don't remember to resign in. Thanks, Anne Marie.

SunPower response

Anne, we appreciate your review and feedback and understand your frustration with the app. If you are still having issues with the app, we recommend going to https://us.sunpower.com/solar-resources and starting a chat with an expert. Alternatively, send us a private message and we would be happy to open a case for you and have a representative call you to help find a solution. Thank you for helping us change the way our world is powered!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Fred, who was our salesman, provided all the explanations, was on call, and responded very quickly to my questions and calls. Then, when they came to install the product, he was there. He got everything together for me. We had a few glitches during the installation but they were addressed very quickly. I would strongly recommend SunPower.

SunPower response

Hi Ben, thank you for leaving such an amazing review. It brought us joy to read about your experience from start to end. That's great to see that one of our salesmen was on your side throughout the project and answered any questions you had. Let us know if there is something we can ever help with in the future. Thanks again!

SunPower Company Information