Staples

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have been going to the East Norriton Staples for 1 year & during any order I have placed Monday through Friday the staff has been absolutely amazing and helpful but EVERY time I have placed an order on the weekend with SAM there were ALWAYS mistakes, delays & excuses. Today is where I drew the line. Not only were they dismissive & unwilling to help, having me on hold for 16 mins 43 sec to check an order emailed, they were rude & unrepresentative of the quality service Staples assures customers will receive. When asked to speak to the manager, Mike, he was even more dismissive & had the audacity to reprimand me & the quality service I had received from the Monday thru Friday staff for the past year.

When I asked for the corporate # he said he didn't have it. When I questioned why as a manager he does not have the number for corporate he then proceeded to tell me to place an order at Staples.com & quickly spewed the 800 # to customer service. I call customer service & the young lady was very apologetic & took my complaint. When asked about the print & marketing policies she transferred me to customer service there where now Bridget adds to the problem of not receiving quality customer service.

After explaining the situation she told me the policy but went on & on after every question I asked about "why if a policy is in place would they have me go about my orders for the past year this way?" Continuously her response was, "I have no control over what that store does." True fact but... Is this how Staples train their reps? If a family member asked why a nurse didn't take care of their parent how well would they respond to me saying, "I dunno. I have no control over what she does." Shame on Staples! I'm trying to handle all of this from a hospital bed on my cell phone and NO ONE, at any point I mentioned that fact, wanted to provide any further assistance.

When I asked Bridget could she assist me her response was, "I don't know what to tell you. You have to go on the site." WOW! This has DEFINITELY caused me to look elsewhere for office supplies & print & marketing requests. It only takes one success story of discounted pricing and willingness for competition to do it better before other Sunrises may follow suit. Horrible experience, customer service & representation on this Day from the people I named! I plan to let EVERYONE know of this experience today! You have managed to elevate my stress of what is already a stressful situation & elevate my blood pressure! I feel horrible for the bad review because of the GREAT SERVICE TIM & WALT HAVE ALWAYS PROVIDED. Because this day Mike, Sam & Bridget changed everything that has happened and made this one of my WORST top 5 customer service experiences in almost 40 years.

I purchased a computer desk, Whalen Astoria with glass top, and matching file cabinet at the Staples website on 8/21/17. They were shipped on two separate days. The cabinet was received on 8/22/17 in perfect condition and works fine. The desk however, arrived on 8/25/17. The glass top was a bag full of small crumbled glass pieces. I never opened the bag and made arrangements for the return and exchange. I was told UPS would pick up the desk at the house, that they would have all of the shipping information, and that a new desk would be shipped. Expected delivery date was 9/1/17. The desk was picked up by UPS on 8/30/17. Thankfully the UPS driver told me to retain his small receipt as it would be the only proof that they picked it up. After pickup, the Staples website shows that the return has been cancelled.

The UPS tracking shows that the desk has been received by the vendor. September 1 has come and I still have no tracking number with UPS, so I call Staples. They tell me that the desk should be delivered by 5:00pm. The desk never shows up. September 2 when I wake up, I check the Staples website and the desk now has a schedule delivery of 9/6/17. Customer service told me that she could not cancel the order as it has been moved to a processing status. I asked for a tracking number again, and this time I was provided one. The tracking number was processed on 8/31/17, so all earlier shipping information was a bunch of bunk. I will see if I receive by 9/6. I am totally finished dealing with Staples. I now know why they shut down all of their brick and mortar stores near me (Chicago burbs). Their management is really screwed up.

I purchased a Kindle at the Medford, LI Staples location a few years ago. The salesperson/cashier recommended a "Protection Plan" for $50 which was a "no brainer" due to the fact that if you did not file a claim in the 2 years, you could get your $50 refunded. The one piece of info they neglected to inform me of, was that there was a 30-day window to receive this refund. Amazing that this important fact was overlooked. I called today to request my refund. They asked if I read the 20 page, finely printed contract and the Sales Mgr on the phone, Runel, had absolutely no sympathy and said there was nothing that could be done. I informed him that I would no longer be shopping at Staples, and will be going to Best Buy. He could care less. I'm sure this very poor customer service is a reflection of their stock price. Staples $10.22 vs Best Buy $54.48!!!

This store, (Tarpon Bay, Naples, FL) has proven to me twice that they are a total waste of time when it comes to the printing department. They will tell you half the facts on the phone, then when you get there you find out differently. They have no customer service skills whatsoever. They will hire anybody in this store. In the end after keeping my project for several hours, which I need for Saturday, they told me they can't do it. The manager said, "I am calling you back because I said I would, but I can't do anything for you." Calling me back because he said he would??? No wonder the staff have no customer service skills, if the manager does not. I will never set foot in this store again.

I needed to fax 23 pages and the lady behind the counter would not come out and help me get started. She just pointed and said I should push certain buttons. Since I was going from two sided to one side I needed more help than a normal fax. I thought maybe $10 or so. $38.87!!! For a fax that does not cost them more than a couple pennies. I will certainly be looking to fax from a different place next time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

When a purchase is made Staples does not tell you that you must accept their rebate in the form of a cash rebate card. They used to send a check that was easy to cash or deposit. A cash rebate card, for a small amount is virtually useless. Restaurants won't accept it and stores (including Staples) don't know how. Eventually they agreed to send me a check for my less than $6 rebate. But then (without telling me) deducted $2.50 for their trouble. I'm finished with Staples. I doubt that they will be in business much longer anyway.

I purchase in store and online for pick up at the store. Staples staff are very friendly and helpful. Staples pricing is usually more than I wish to spend but it's balanced out when I take advantage of their sale and clearance areas.

Andrew ** The store manager on duty August 10th at 9pm at store 0599 College Point NY was the most nastiest and useless person I have ever met. I paid $120 for a UPS package on 8/9/17 to arrive to Canada next day (August 10th) because my mother is in need of her medications. UPS called the store not once but twice asking for an invoice they were supposed to provide from day one and they never sent it. A clerk took the call yesterday and nothing was done. Today UPS called and spoke to Andrew ** and UPS was told both times it was going to be sent. Never happened.

I went and asked very nicely to get this paperwork ASAP to UPS since it was 9pm and the truck was leaving and my package couldn't ship without this invoice. Andrew ** knew the importance of this package because I explained it to him, yet was very rude and told me his system was down and couldn't do anything for me. The systems were not down (confirmed by the clerks on duty that evening). It was just time to clean and close down in an hour and he didn't want to go out of his way. I then asked UPS person who I had on the phone with me if it can be faxed. They said yes.

Again Andrew ** said I needed to pay to fax even though it was the store's fault this package went without the required documents. My daughter worked at that Staples so I know they have a key to override that fax charges. He told me I am not going to use my personal CC and I there is no way to override that charge. "You will have to pay." So I got very upset and yes I insulted him. My mother could end up in the hospital because of Andrew ** for his lack of sympathy and customer service skills. I want this man to get written up and reprimanded. I will not rest until this happens. It's incredible that Staples has people like him managing their stores. I will make sure to keep putting complaints until something is done. I hope this package gets delivered on time. It's my mother's blood pressure medications and she really needs them. If my mother ends up in a hospital due to this situation with Andrew ** I will sue staples.

We had ordered a chair and it had been recalled. Instead of sending us a new chair and picking up the old they wanted to send us a part that we would have to install. I tried to complain to their customer service department. Nobody cares. It has been over 35 days and we still do not have the part and nobody can sit on the chair until it comes in. I will probably have to pay a handyman to try to install the part. I will never buy anything from Staples again.

I don't know why I continue to bother with Staples rebates. It's time consuming and the process is just a pain to track! I had to call Staples for information on the process and the customer service agent I could barely understand then she hung up on me!!

I ordered office supply from Staples on August 3, 2017. Given the fact that I needed it urgently I opted for pick up at a Staples store. As much as it indicated the item was not available for pick within one hour, it was indicated that it will be available the next day August 4 for pick up. Today is August 5 and the item still has not been delivered. Upon calling Staples customer service I am now being informed the item will be delivered to the Staples store on August 7 at the end of the day! Thus, Staples is misleading customers to make orders knowing very well they will not be able to meet the delivery date! So please be warned, if time is of the essence shop somewhere else. I will not be buying anything else from Staples and I will be returning the item. Since it is now obsolete!

I placed an order online with Staples. Both my kids' school supplies from Staples.com. For around $140 dollars. The school supplies came when it was pouring outside and the UPS guy left them outside in the rain. When I got home the boxes were soaking wet so I called customer service right away. The customer service rep was telling me to take the soaking wet 3 boxes of supplies to UPS and return them and with the new labels she would send me. Also the other option she gave me was she would send me new supplies to the store and I can pick them up.

If I had the time to go to the store and buy supplies then why would I order them online. I placed an order online without shopping around anywhere else for school supplies with Staples because I trust them. However this time I am not a happy customer and neither are my kids with all their supplies being soaking wet. I would have never ordered online if I knew it would create double work for me. Staples got back to me. All they said was they are sorry that I had to go through this and this makes them aware of how they can improve their services. Nothing about exchanging my order without any hassles.

HATE STAPLES! Every year I make the mistake of buying something here with a rebate then spend an hour or two (or three) trying to save $30 or whatever. Total scam. Good for welfare recipients with nothing but spare time but horrible for business owners. Never, ever, ever again!

Staples in Milford, CT, once had a guy named Jared who I totally trusted with my computer. He doesn't work there now. I took it in because it was so slow and the internet is so slow (no one else on my wifi has the same problem). They charged me almost $200 to remove what they said were a lot of viruses. I took it home and it is as slow as ever. Also a note on customer service: They said it would be ready that day, but it was ready four days later. They never called me to let me know they would need more time. Also, I stopped by the copying area to ask a question. Three people were behind the counter talking and didn't acknowledge me. After a few minutes I just left. Absolute opposite of the experiences I have at Trader Joe's and Planet Fitness. I'm afraid the writing may be on the wall for Staples.

I purchased 2 Samsung S7 smartphones on April 28th, 2016 with the promise from the salesman that a $200 rebate from Staples was included with the purchase of these two NEW phones. Bar code on purchase was 10710428160953006. Sale # **. On April 29th I submitted the rebate forms on line. Order#**Tracking # **. In return I received a postcard with the comment "All required products were not submitted." I called the rebate center and talked to several individuals who dismissed me rudely when I did not know my rebate offer number.

I went to the store and they told me the rebate offer number. I then printed out the rebate forms and submitted all the asked for information in writing via two separate envelopes. In return I received an post card stating "Select Smartphone monthly plan Missing UPC". Tracking number **. I went back to the store to require what was wanted. I was told that they needed a copy of the UPC's from the phone boxes. I scanned the phone boxes and mailed these to the rebate center. I heard nothing in return.

I then chatted on line with the rebate center on July 26, 2016 ref ** with R ** and was told my information had been received but that my rebate had been denied. However, I was told a supervisor would contact me within 10 days with further information. This never happened. So almost a year later and much time and effort later I still have not received the $200 rebate per phone that I was promised. I do not accept the explanation that these were not NEW phones. They were new phones to Verizon and new phones purchased at Staples. I am certainly paying Verizon monthly for the phones. Since this communication I have learned that my promised 1 gigabyte memory per device (2 phones and a tablet) is really 1 gigabyte for all three devices. Thus I do not recommend staples as a place to buy your cell phones. I was completely deceived.

Sorry, I am trying to vent. Last night at 1 am I got a flat tire right by the entrance to STAPLES on rt 37 in Toms River so I pulled off Route 37 into their parking lot. I could not get anyone to come help me at that hour and found a ride home. This morning, I found someone to help me go change the tire and when we arrived discovered my car gone! Went into Staples and was told it was towed!!! Called store and was told there is a 3 hour parking limit (huge parking lot). I was told the parking lot owner has someone from the towing company riding around all the time to tow cars. What a money scam this is! Was told by towing company $500 but they would give me a break for $225. It was obvious the car had a flat tire and not an abandoned car. Just a warning to everyone out there. Stay away from Staples parking lot if you have any auto trouble.

I am in need of replacing my home computer tower with an updated version of windows and all the necessary components to operate what I have. I am not a computer oriented/savvy individual so I have few questions concerning prices, software, how to, etc and what I might need to purchase in order to get everything I have in my old to computer into a new one. With that being said I went to my nearest Staples store in Palm Bay Fla. located at 1595 Palm Bay Rd. Palm Bay, FL 32905. As I enter the store I was greeted by one of the cashiers - to which I expressed the reason of me being there. The lady directed me to the computer/electronic counter and called a technician.

I waited about three minutes. To my surprise a young - pimpled face man showed up and asked me how can he help me. The first thing that came out of my mouth was "Hi - I have few questions about updating computers. Do you have some time for us to talk?" His response: "Well... if we are going to be talking over half an hour I will have to charge you for the extra time. You see... I was working on an important project and I was interrupted to come out here to wait on you."

Needless to say I was shocked by his unsolicited response, so I told him that at my age (61) I have seen greed going wild but you sir have taken it to a whole new level. As I was walking out I said - thanks, have a nice day and I walked out of there as fast as I could before Staples considering charging customers just to put their feet in their stores.

I bought an Intuit virtual downloadable product through Staples on June 28th 2017. They charged my visa card on the 4th of July 2017. They asked me via telephone voice messages to confirm the product name and my email address twice. Each time, I've been on hold for over 45 minutes. On July 10th, an unnamed person apologized to me and assured me I would receive a download link the same day. We are now July 12th and I did not receive the link yet. Also, a week ago, I asked them to cancel my order and refund my credit card. They replied that the product was not returnable. I replied, "I don't want to return it since I never received it." Then, dead silence from these idiots. I now work with my visa card provider to have this charge reversed. I will never buy any thing from Staples again and will also avoid Intuit products as they put up with dishonest distributors like STAPLES crooks. Please help us boycott Staples, USA and Canada.

My card was charged for an order I did not place. Now. Though I have a Staples account, I do NOT save any credit cards on their system. I wrote to Customer Service 5 times about it and called 4 times in the past 24 hours. Every time, the first few times every person who got back to me said they would cancel the order and refund my card. And also deactivate my account, which has clearly been compromised. Also they would send me email confirmation that this has taken place. That never happened.

The last person I spoke to, Josh, said that "Staples can not help me with this." And that they could give no evidence that they were deactivating my account, no confirmation. Even despite the fact that my account had clearly been compromised on their system. This is not the first time I had a problem with Staples. I stopped using them over a month ago, because my last order never came. And when I called Customer Service they had no explanation. Very very bad service, and beyond that, irresponsible considering my account was clearly compromised.

Staples customer service is the worst I had in a very long time and I'm talking about the worst. When you call the 1 800 number they have a bunch of people that barely speak English that you barely understand on the phone.

Placed an online order for in-store pickup. Was injured the same day before I could pick up the order. I called the store (Wooster, Ohio) and asked if I could have my wife or son pick up the order for me (with the pickup-email and photo ID). They said, "NO!" I explained the circumstances and even told them that I used my wife's credit card to place the order and they wouldn't budge. THIS is one of the reasons we haven't purchased from Staples in a LONG time. We will never buy from them again.

I don't know if management knows how "customer service" destroys business but orders are not filled even with confirmation email. I ordered a stereo system on June 24th with a European credit card. A day later I got an email to call Staples as you do not accept European credit cards. I called on the 26th and talked to an Indian guy who put me on hold several times and finally told me to call again as I called outside the order service hours. So a day later (27th June) I called again and talked to a lady. The line was not very clear and I repeated every piece of information several times. The whole call took about 20 minutes. Question one: Why do I have to spell my address and email address when I have an account and have entered the data before? After the call I got an email for confirmation and an expected delivery date of 11th July. On July 1st I got an email to review and rate my order.

So today (7/4) I logged in and checked on my order. All I see is a cancellation of the original order! And it says "item discontinued" which sounds like Staples does not want to honor the "deal of the day" pricing. Question 2: What happened to my order? And finally question/request 3: Please do not make me call your customer service again. Please send me an email. If the credit card data are not correct I updated my account data. And if your answer is that you are not able to fill the order for which I received a confirmation, then you lost another customer and I will share this incident in consumer websites.

I order something (clear Amram 2" standard attachment/red Amram tagger gun) online on June 19th. I got a email stating it will be ready on that Friday so I went into the store to pick it up. This store is the closest store to me which is in the Rim. It takes about 30 minutes on a good day with traffic. They told me it was not in and I said, "Okay thank you." I get home and I have a email that tells me my stuff is in and ready for pick up. So I called them this time to check on it so I would not have to travel again that far. Got a hold of someone and was put on hold for 15 min. Finally someone came on the phone to tell me they have it in their hand. I can tell you one thing I will not be ordering or shopping from Staples again. Now I know why they are closing stores. One they are too far and two they don't know what they are doing.

I purchased a 48 x 48 activity table on-line. When it arrived, we carefully unpacked it and laid it face-down on a protected surface to attach the legs and adjust them to the desired height. When done, we turned it right-side up--only to find that three of the corners were damaged -- two corners with very bad gouges so you could see the particle board under the laminate. This was disappointing to say the least. Of course, we should have inspected the product when it first arrived before spending two hours attaching the legs. In our defense, the corners were packaged very well.

We now think it was probably damaged before it was packaged and sent to us. After contacting Staples Customer Service with photos to show proof of the damage, they said they would take $50 off the $239 product. I have since found a table that is indistinguishable from Wayfair for $178, which is $60 less. Nevertheless, Staples is unwilling to discount the table further. So their price-matching policy is worth nothing. My only other option is to disassemble the table and repackage it for return. Because the table is heavy, this is too cumbersome to do. So I am keeping the table, which means buying an epoxy and doing the repair. Needless to say, I will not be buying anything on-line from Staples again.

Simply tried to pay my Staples Business account - only a small amount due. A problem occurred for the third time since last November 2016. I had secured my ID and PW with two security accounts... and again it was not recognized by Staples. Then, when online, I paid my bill, I was told I could not receive an online receipt or confirmation of payment online, but only by postal mail. I have summarily closed this stinking account.

I purchased a Dell multifunction color, wifi laser printer online from Staples. The printer was for my home office and I was in no hurry to unbox it so it sat around for a week. When I tried to set up the printer, it would not connect to my Linksys 1900 router nor was it recognized by my iMac. I purchased a Linksys signal extender but signal strength apparently wasn't the problem. I spent hours with Dell customer service and they could not make it work. The Dell rep told me to return the printer within 30 days for a refund. I returned the printer on the 35th day and Staples would not accept the return. I was given a number to call and the return period shrunk from 30 days to 14 days, talk about insult to injury. Anyway, at 53 I sent my first tweet and it was a complaint concerning Staples customer service. I caution you, stay away from the Staples horrible customer service gauntlet.

Yesterday I purchased a Apple iPad 9.7 inch 128 GB along with several accessories. Before purchasing it was explained to me that the item would arrive to the store no later than 6/16/17 and I was given a ticket that indicated this to keep for my records. The Manager Michelle took my information because I was also applying for a Staples credit card. Once that was completed we proceeded to checkout. Once the transaction was completed I was given the receipt for all the items. A conversation between myself, the manager & an employee then took place... I asked the manager if by the grace of God the item could be in on Thursday and she said yes and that UPS delivers by noon and she will have someone call me. If it does not come via UPS then they will see me Friday. So I proceed to leave the store under the impression that what the manager told me was accurate.

After getting home I receive a email order confirmation now saying it will arrive on 6/20. I get on the phone with customer service for 1 hour and 20 minutes and nothing get done for me. I then call the store location and the manager that is there takes the time to call other stores and even to see if the delivery could be expedited. NOTHING can be done. This was a last minute gift addition for my daughter's birthday and now it's completely ruined. Had I been told accurate information I would have gone to Best Buy and purchased one there... where they are in stock. I went against my better judgment and even told the manager I was relying on her... I should have known better. I feel that they could care less that I had just spent $913.74 at their store. I'm very unhappy and wish I had never applied for the credit card. I will most likely never use the credit card considering how the customer service here is well below expectations.

I spend thousands of dollars a year at Staples. Won't shop Staples again. Bought $80 corded/cordless phone at Staples on/about May 10, 2017. The store on Tarrytown Road in Elmsford, NY. A friend hooked it up for me. Tried calling my number from his cell phone and my new phone didn't ring. Tried calling me again. New phone did not ring. Got in another young tech-savvy kid to try again. No luck. THIRD person came to my home to see if this phone would ring. Sometimes it rang, most times it didn't. Okay, new phone is defective. Phoned Staples and told to return it.

I took sick for a few weeks and could not drive. Yesterday went to Staples in Elmsford to return phone and asked for a STORE CREDIT. Did not want my money back; just a store credit! Bottomline was they would only return $40 to me because I was "a few days" past the return date. Told me to contact the manufacturer of the phone. I won't be returning to Staples again. Going to Office Max instead.

I have purchased three printers in the last year from Staples. I also use Staples for all my large printing and copying needs. These purchases were for my business where I need an operating printer everyday. They only stand behind what they sell for 14 days and then my only options is to buy another printer to complete the necessary tasks for my business. I met with the store manager Jeff, and he was unwilling to make it right. Maybe it's above his pay grade.

I purchased a $300 computer from the Staples in Laramie in 2012. I took it home, and it would not connect to the internet. I took it into the store the next day, and they connected it to an Ethernet cable and told me it appeared to be working just fine, but that they could send a technician to my home to diagnose the issue with my internet for $99. I asked them if they were to find nothing wrong with my internet, if I would be refunded that fee. They said I would not. So I took the computer home and it still would not connect to the internet. Everyone else in my house was able to connect to the internet, and I was able to connect on my phone. I tried plugging in the Ethernet cable, and it did work that way.

I returned to the Staples again the following day and explained that this was the only computer that would not connect to the internet, and that it would connect only when plugged into the Ethernet. They ran the same diagnostic they had run the day before. I tried to explain that it was the wifi that was the problem, but they made it clear that they did not believe that. They informed me that while they had no way to test my wifi, that if it worked with the Ethernet, it most certainly would work with wifi. I tried to explain to them that this wasn't the case. But they essentially called me some combination of a liar and stupid, and told me that the problem was 100% a problem with my home internet. I was never able to connect to any public network on that $300 computer, even when hundreds of other people were able to connect to those networks with no problems. I wouldn't suggest buying anything, as they WILL find a way to rip you off.

Staples Company Profile