1.06/5
Based on 56 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

648 Staples Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have tried multiple times to use the unsubscribe web page on Staples website and it does not work. So I called and spoke to an employee. She said she would unsubscribe my email address. That was at least 2 weeks ago and the emails have not stopped so I emailed Staples about a week ago and I am still receiving them.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Staples is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with in life. I placed an order with Staples - the 1st order was six chairs and a conference table. I changed my mind on the chairs and they told me they would send someone to pick chairs up May 14, 2018. No one showed up. Then they told me they would come get the chairs May 16, 2018. They told me they would get the chairs May 17, 2018. Three times no one showed. I went past the representative - I had been talking to management. I ordered new chairs and they told me they would deliver them May 16, 2018 - they delivered one chair and Staples have no clue how that happened. May 17, the other five showed up.

The conference table was supposed to come May 14, - now I have to give credit where credit is due - a company did call me that Friday prior about the order for May 14, 2018 - The company not one time referred the order to Staples so I was not even sure what they were talking about but I followed my instinct and called anyway. They told me to push option 6 and I did but could not leave a message but I never called back because I thought it was a bogus call because they did not call out Staples name once. So May 14, 2018 no conference table. May 15, 2018, I called the company again and it was for the conference table - I told them to put on hold because they said I had to pick up the table and bring it upstairs.

They only drop off and keep going. I told the company to hold on. I called Staples and I talked to two supervisors and I explained to them about the courier or freight company on what they said about delivering the items to me. The manager assured me that was fine and that everything would be alright. When the delivery company got to my office May 17, 2018, they said, "I am here now. You have to come and take the table to your office" and I said, "Are you serious?" - all they did was drop off the table in your back door and you carry it. I told them take the table back because it's no way possible could I lift it. I told Staples to just give me a refund and I will find a company who will deliver inside my door. I just finally said give me a refund for the table. This is the third day they were to pick up the chairs. Now I want to see what their excuse is.

They did give me a 100.00 coupon and a 50.00 refund on my card. The service is terrible because if they were organized we would have never gotten to this point and for me to say I pray I have to never ever use them again in life. I tried not to get mad with the representatives. I explained to them I was angry with the situation and no one was going out of their way to help me other than one supervisor but she assured me I would get a pickup today for the chairs but nothing happened.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Terrible! I'm 65 and struggling. Not inept, just struggling to keep up with technology. When I brought my HP in because I had a problem that needed tech support all the technician tried to do was sell me other products. Unfortunately, I agreed to purchase a floor model desktop at a reduced price as it had been used by many for, who knows how long. They were also strong arming me to buy their tech support, their anti-virus even though I told them I already have that service paid for, and tried to convince me I should buy a new hard drive for the HP instead of repairing. When I agreed on Sunday to purchase the floor model I was told it had to be serviced first. This is good. I made an appointment for Wednesday. When I arrive the same individual (who didn't even recognize me) told me the computer had not been looked at because the only person who could certify it wasn't there (?)

I came back the next day (you know, 24 hour service) and it was still sitting there; nobody had touched it; nobody in the store knew what I was talking about. I regret not walking out. I finally got a tech person who seemed to care. He pushed it though. I paid $70 to transfer all my info. I believe this was kind of a lot of money for hooking up one machine to another but I have many, many games that are tedious to transfer. They did not tell me they would not transfer. Nobody seemed to care; nobody was friendly... worst decision of my life to purchase from tech people at Staples, Westfield MA. Now I'm finding I can't transfer my Office 2010 product and must purchase another. Wow! Done with Staples. They should stick to selling pencils. I thought $170 just to look at my HP to find the problem was outrageous. Now I'm into this Dell for $550 and counting and it's used. Shame on me.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I've had a few bad experiences with Staples, to the point where I will never do business with them again. I'm a small business owner and I order a lot of shipping boxes. Staples is a good option price-wise, but I've decided they are not worth the terrible service they provide and the mistakes they make. This is a summary of my last three orders on Staples.com, on all three, mistakes were made and customer service was a problem.

Purchase 1: I ordered a bundle of shipping boxes to be delivered to my local store. However, for some reason, Staples thought my local store was in TX, even though I ordered through my own account with only one address in MO. So the order was going to ship to a store in TX... shoot, my mistake for not paying attention. I noticed right away and sent a message through their customer service tab asking to get the order switched to my MO store. No answer and the next day, my order is ready to be picked up in TX. The email says if I don't pick it up in 3 days, it will automatically be canceled.

So I'm thinking, I'll re-order this at the MO store, and let this order down at TX time out and cancel. Which I did and everything seemed fine... until I got a notification that my order was picked up from the TX store!!! Now, I don't have any sort of proof that some sort of foul play occurred, but that is very fishy and at the very least speaks to the poor business practices Staples uses to verify customers when they pick up an order. I did call Staples immediately and they made me whole, but up until that point, that was an unacceptable experience is so many ways.

Purchase 2: I ordered 3 bundles of boxes, to be delivered to my home this time (I try to learn from my mistakes). This purchase took place at the beginning of April and I'm still waiting for one of the bundles to arrive. Purchase 3: I ordered another bundle of boxes with a guaranteed delivery of Friday, May 4th. I really needed these boxes on that date and Staples had the right size... and I'm a glutton for punishment so I gave them another shot. Friday morning got here and the UPS tracking numbers showed that UPS still did not have the items... so I know for sure that I'm not getting them at this point.

I call Staples customer service and the guy swears up and down that I will get the packages today, just be patient and call us if you don't have them by 5pm. But I know they're not going to be delivered so I keep pressing him and he insists that I will get them and just wait until 5 and they'll get there. Of course, they don't come and at 2pm I get on the chat with someone at Staples. He tells me that they are still going to get there by 5pm and "escalates" my case to a manager, and then PROMISES me that I'll get a call back before the end of the day. BIG SURPRISE HERE... I never got a call, and the delivery didn't come.

At 8pm that night, I get on the chat again and the person tells me that, contrary to what the last rep told me, I need to wait 24 hours for a response... You guys have not given the items to UPS... what is so hard to figure out here!!! My guess is you are just stalling because you don't have the items in stock, but instead of being honest, Staples is using these terrible "customer service" tactics of get the customer off the phone and stall until tomorrow. Guess what, still no response 3 days later and I disputed the charge with AMEX (first time I've ever done that). This is a pattern of poor customer service and broken logistics. I will never do business with Staples again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I bought their customer computer repair service. It was terrible, they knew less than I did, they refund my money but then a month later they took money out again, no one knows anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: April 25, 2018

My package contents was valued at over $2,000 and the damages are valued at over $700! Please consider the following a summary of events pertaining to the nature of my complaint in which my relentless digging uncovered possible fraud/theft, removal of customer rights as an shipper/owner of contents shipped without knowledge, a procedure system that leaves the door wide open for the opportunity for fraudulent activity to occur as no party seems to be held responsible even though the paying customer's rights were relinquished unknowingly and the absolute lack of communication pertaining to the importance of purchasing insurance. The details of this complaint is against Staples and UPS, the faulty method of operations assumed to derive from their business agreement and clear lack of communication to the paying customer, may be found in the summary below.

I also have the documents: 1. Timeline. Specific dates and communication with Staples and UPS. 2. Sales Transaction, Value, Description & Itemization prepared for Staples & Broken Items' replacement value. 3. Email Correspondence with Staples and UPS. 4. Copy of UPS tracking scanning dates & times which are for a day earlier than I had even gone to Staples. 5. Copy of Staples' Customer Receipt dates & Staples' Receipt of Payment Dates & Times. 6. Copy of BBB Complaint and responses.

There are not very many options to ship a large, heavy, fragile package in the town I reside in. After calling 1 other option, I decided to go to Staples to have my 63 pieces of Lenox Opal Innocence china that I have had kept in pristine, never been used, brand new condition stored away since my divorce years ago. I had finally reached a point in my life where I needed to let this china go and found an exceptional woman who seemed very sincere in her desire to appreciate and use these beautiful pieces as they were intended to be used. And with much consideration, I gifted her these 63 pieces, valued at over $2,000 for an exceptional price.

On March 28th, 2018 I had spent 2 hours at Staples packing the largest box they offered with massive amounts of paper and bubble wrap, taking every precaution possible that these would arrive in mint condition. At no time did anyone during those 2 hours of my packing the china, mention the fact that I was about to lose my rights as the owner of the contents of this package and as the shipper of this package once I paid Staples as what I had perceived, operated similarly to that of a pick up location for UPS. I had zero idea that a customer loses such rights when a 3rd party, such as Staples, is used as the pickup location for UPS until April 2, 2018 when I learned from the person who purchased my china that it had not yet been received and in fact UPS communicated to her, the recipient, that they, UPS, was actually attempting to locate this package.

I was never contacted by UPS regarding this at all, because upon calling UPS I was told that I was not the shipper of record, nor did I have any rights to know the details pertaining to this package at all whatsoever as my name was not attached to this package. I was advised by UPS that I needed to contact Staples for the answers to my questions as they were names as the sender and all communication by UPS would go directly to them. Furthermore, during my 2 hours at Staples packing the 63 pieces of china, the employees in the printing department had learned through periodic questions and communication that it was worth about $1500 - $2000. I had not been made aware of importance of purchasing insurance until the package was deemed lost, on April 2, 2018.

I was completely devastated by the fact that I was told by the Staples Claims Department that I would only receive the liability payment of $100 plus the shipping charge of $53.24 for this china. I was beyond sad at this point, that I had not only lost a great deal of money but that this large, 60 pound, heavy box has disappeared and the china was most likely destroyed or in the hands of someone else who didn't deserve them. It broke my heart to learn that I had no rights to seek payment from UPS for at minimum the amount the recipient paid for them and that I would have to refund her money in full.

It is beyond me how this is a standard business practice as no matter what UPS decides to do, based on what Staples requests from UPS, that I have no rights to deal directly with UPS, nor request the value, nor receive payment from UPS. My rights as the shipper of record/owner of the package were relinquished to Staples as far as UPS is concerned, as soon as I paid Staples to have UPS ship my package, which was never communicated in any way to me. I had absolutely no idea and it would never have occurred to me that this is the way UPS & Staples work together. I simply assumed Staples was a pickup type center for UPS.

None of this process was even mentioned to me so I had no reason to suspect that this is the way the system works. I, absolutely & unequivocally, would have either not chosen to ship my package using a 3rd party or would have with absolute 100% certainty confirmed that ample insurance was purchased for the entire value of the china had I even suspected the possibility that I would not be able to present my case to the party responsible if the package was lost or damaged nor that I would be able to collect at minimum that amount I sold the contents for. I've worked with UPS in the past and was paid for the value of a lost product even though there was no insurance. So I'm in complete disgust that when I stated the value of what I was packing that Staples' employees didn't explain the insurance sufficiently, didn't emphasize the importance of it, didn't charge me for it, nor confirm that I didn't purchase it.

Furthermore, Staples has had this problem occur with customers in the past and had such an enormous problem with this issue when they were shipping for USPS, which I learned later trying to find some answers through research, that USPS stopped allowing Staples to accept packages from customers on their behalf. Staples even accidentally (I'm assuming) typed USPS in their initial response to the BBB instead of UPS. With that said, it is shocking that there is such a major lack of attempt to communicate to the customer that their rights will be relinquished and insurance is of utmost importance. There is no signage, agreement, nor verbal communication that tells them of these facts.

The only written communication pertaining to any insurance can be found in very tiny print at the bottom of the Staples Customer Receipt given to the customer after payment has been made. Item number 5 states of that list states, “I may elect to pay an additional fee (as specified on this receipt) to add my package to the Staples' parcel insurance. This election is entirely optional, and any fees do not include any markup by, or commission payment to, Staples. This option is offered as part of our UPS Ship Center services and does not provide insurance to you, and you are neither an insured nor an additional insured under Staples' parcel insurance.”

I do admit not reading this until I learned what I would be paid for this lost package, $100 liability and the shipping fee of $53.24. However, this statement to me says that I wouldn't be insured nor be provided insurance so it definitely has me question whether or not I would even have been paid the value of the contents, had I purchased insurance from Staples? It certainly doesn't appear that there is ANY guarantee that I would have been paid for the value!

On April 11, 2018, 9 days after learning the package was lost, I noticed an entirely new problem that opened a fireball of additional questions and confusion as I noticed that UPS' scanning dates & times of the package began 1 day prior to my even going to Staples and the last scan is dated & timed in Albuquerque (I'm in Texas) approximately 1 hour before the package was even paid for. Within 2 hours after I email & phoned the Staples' Claims Department notifying them of this, I received an email from Staples' Claims Department stating that UPS may have found my package and requested me to view the attached pictures then reply confirming that it was mine. I find this coincidence nearly unbelievable! Was my package originally set up for theft, opened and waiting for the claim process to end or was it never searched for? The package was found in the same location as the last scan read, 1 day earlier in Albuquerque.

I did reply that the 3 pictures of 4 unwrapped, unpacked china pieces were of the same brand and type. I requested to know the condition of the package and all of the pieces as at this point I had lost all trust in Staples & UPS and was highly concerned that fraudulent activity had possibly occurred, involving Staples employees & the UPS driver who scanned the package. I was told by Vicki at Staples' Claims Department that she could not verify nor find out the condition of the package, which was very odd to me as UPS had sent pictures of unwrapped contents of the package. She also refused to send me a copy of the email Staples received from UPS pertaining to the found package, which is beyond me why that is considered confidential.

I immediately called UPS and spoke with a supervisor, Colleen Employee ID # ** and she stated that with 100% certainty UPS HAD NOT FOUND THE PACKAGE. I explained in detail & even cried at one point in complete and utter frustration as I clearly do not know what the truth was at this point as Staples claimed UPS found the package, yet UPS claims they have not. I also told her about the incorrect scan dates and times by UPS and gave her the date and time indicated on my Staples payment receipt. She assured me that this was being reported to upper management.

I contacted and spoke with Keith, the store manager of Staples Greenville at the request of Colleen at UPS and he knew absolutely nothing about any of this besides when I last spoke with him on 4/6/2018. He said he would look out for the check and the package and that he would call me to have whatever he received sent to me. I expressed huge concern of the discrepancy of information I was being told, the fact that I suspected fraudulent activity and that I wanted to speak with someone at the corporate office regarding Staples' lack of communication, insurance, my rights being relinquished unbeknownst to me, the inadequacy of collection efforts, refusal to find out the condition of the package and the fact that as far as UPS is concerned the agreement is between UPS and each store individually, whereby edging out the customer/owner of what is shipped entirely.

I was simply crushed, deflated and continued to be in absolute shock that this is a way of business. The customer, using Staples or any other 3rd party, to ship their own product via UPS is left with NO RIGHTS. Additionally, the customer has no possibility of receiving payment for the value unless adequate insurance is purchased & even that is questionable due to item #5 of the Staples Customer Receipt and the fact that UPS doesn't consider the paying customer the shipper, so the customer is at the mercy of Staples' policy & procedure, which certainly NEVER was communicated to me in any way, shape or form during my 2 hours packing my china at Staples! Also, the fact that Staples employees knew the value of what I packed and that the UPS scan dates & times are wrong presents a huge opportunity for theft/fraudulent activity.

At this point, I was left without my china valued at over $2,000, I was left with zero money and actually was thinking I had lost money due to my paying the shipping charge. I was exhausted, frustrated, depressed and in utter disbelief at the sheer number of hours & energy I had put into trying to have someone listen to me and take responsibility for this enormous mess. I'm disgusted that the further I dig and the more questions I ask, I seem to uncover the makings of a complete scam. I cannot imagine that most people this happens to would take the amount of time and energy as I have taken since 4/2/2018 to discover such an ordeal. But there's more...

On April 12, 2018, after being denied via telephone that Staples would not obtain a picture nor description of the found package, I received an email from the Staple Claims Center stating that UPS claims the package does not have any visible damage and that the china would be repacked and put in a new box with a new label for shipping. Since I was assured that there was no damage, I requested that the package be sent to the original recipient, the person who purchased the china from me. I was told that UPS would have a new tracking number available by end of day 4/13/2018. I felt good about this finally, and thought surely nothing would happen to the package after being repacked by UPS. I also felt assured that if something did happen from the Albuquerque UPS delivery point to my customer's home also in Albuquerque that UPS would be held liable since they repacked everything. But they were not!

I contacted Staples yet again, after learning from the recipient that the package was in fact DAMAGED and that many pieces of the china were broken, with a replacement cost of over $700. I gave them a copy of the inventory, the replacement value, shared 95+ pictures the recipient took, and the recipient's phone number. I was told UPS will check out the damaged package and its contents as well as the packing material used to determine a decision.

I was also told via telephone by Diana at the Staples Claim Department that even though UPS repacked the contents of the box that was not broken at the time of repacking, I STILL WILL ONLY RECEIVE THE LIABILITY AMOUNT PLUS THE SHIPPING COST! All since insurance was not purchased. The recipient also told me that she actually heard the UPS driver drop the 60 pound package at her door when it was delivered prior to him ringing her doorbell.

The fact that 1) my rights were relinquished to Staples unbeknownst to me and that they have zero vested interest in fighting for me as the owner of the package contents; 2) Staples did not communicate the absolute importance of buying their insurance, even after the employees knew the value, nor is it stated anywhere that insurance must be purchased in order for the customer to recoup any losses; 3) The Staples Claims Department did nothing to help me since I did not have insurance, not even initiated 1 single phone call. (I was told their department is very small & they do not have sufficient time.); 4) The confusion of line item #5 on the customer receipt pertaining to the customer not being insured; 5) The UPS tracking/scanning device stated pickup of the package was the day prior to my even shipping the package;

6) The package being found in the SAME LOCATION AS LAST SCANNED, 2 hours after my reporting the scanning error to Staples Claims Department; 7) UPS can repack the contents of any package and take zero responsibility for damage that according to their own statement occurred AFTER they repacked the china per Staples emailing me that UPS claimed to see no damage upon finding the package and by Staples telling me via telephone that UPS would repack everything; 8) the UPS delivery driver can handle a package however they want to even though it says fragile all over the box, and UPS will not be held accountable because insurance was not purchased. The recipient heard the 60 pound box drop at her door before the doorbell even rang;

9) Staples has closed this issue and cannot help me further since the initial lost claim has been approved. They have also stated in writing that they will not give me any information pertaining to how I go about beginning an arbitration process as they have also written that I cannot take them to court and that all cases must be handled by arbitration.

10) UPS claims zero responsibility based on their terms located on their website pertaining to shipping with 3rd Party Retailers and the fact that the 3rd Party Retailer, Staples, did not put a declared value on the shipping label means they will not take responsibility for the damage they caused to my package, totaling over $700.

11) Staples claims zero responsibility for their lack of communication pertaining to the importance of insurance and will not even file a damage claim with UPS since the outcome of me only receiving liability of $100 plus the shipping cost, instead of the damaged value of over $700 as the contents of the package was worth over $2,000, would be the same. Staples' own customer receipt is the ONLY form of communication of this and it does not state that insurance is required in order to receive such damages, nor does it state that the shipper's rights will be relinquished to Staples. 12) The Better Business Bureau cannot help me as Staples is not an active member with them so they cannot force Staples to take responsibility. 13) The Attorney General's Office of Texas will not help me, for reasons unknown.

It is nearly inconceivable that none of the above was ever explained to me as customer paying for UPS to ship my package. It is indescribably mind blowing that a package of this one's sheer size and 60 pound weight went missing. It is incredibly disheartening to know that I have had to fight tooth and nail to be heard as the owner of this package and that the more I demanded answers, the more I uncovered, and the confusion intensified. I have collected enough information that I am at this point left to assume fraud, theft and at the very minimum a system that creates an opportunity for fraud & theft to occur.

So please, assist me in my efforts to change this system. I am not the only one this has happened to and there are tons of complaints online regarding the frustration and lost customers have had to face as a result of this process. What happened to the customer is always right? What happened to the paying customer's rights? What happened to taking responsibility and correcting a problem clearly existing by the sheer number of complaints?

This has been an emotionally upsetting last few weeks, to say the least. The number of hours I have given to get help is outrageous. I have done everything I can do to have UPS search for the package and I even at one point begged the Staples Claims Department to help me, to represent me, to fight for me. They held all the rights with UPS. Through the hours and hours of trying to fight for my rights, trying to seek understanding of a process that I've learned edges the customer out, and that no one is yet held responsible for, I'm at my wits end.

I can only hope that as I continue to share my story which is the story of so many others, that systems are changed so that not one more customer has to go through this again. Ample communication presented in multiple ways would enable each customer understand the process, their rights and their risks so that they can make the right choice for them. I will continue to send this summary to entities that may be able to help, because again, all of this could have been alleviated. Thank you very much for your time in reviewing this case.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I receive email coupons from Staples but when I try to use them there almost always is a problem. Today the coupon was for “15% off your ink purchase of $75 or more” and showed a photo of a box of HP ink. However the coupon was rejected when I tried to purchase HP ink. Buried in the fine print was exclusion of ink from the three main printer companies including HP. This is clearly deceptive advertising and just plain bad business!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I own a business and they do not have a transaction statement online. You have to go in the store to get a duplicate receipt? No way to track your purchases. Very bad business. I need to be able to download yearly reports of transactions. Dumb dumb.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been a customer of Staples for over 10 years, my review is not about the actual store, is about the very unprofessional General manager Jenn... I'm very disappointed about the way I was treated by her at the Staples located in New London Connecticut today, I have never felt so discriminated against, accused and offended like I felt after she made such disgusting comments. All because I lost my receipt. I can't believe a general manager would talk to me that way in front other customers, completely unacceptable.

I went to the store to return a pack of W2 forms that I bought for my employees but that I didn't need any more, the pack was in good condition, never opened, when I arrived I told the cashier that I had lost my receipt, he asked me if I remember if it was paid in cash or with a card, I told him that was about 20 days ago and I was not sure. He checked under my debit card and my rewards card and told me that per his manager I can't return it since they can't find the transaction, I asked if I could just get store credit and he said that his manager say no. I left the store and I was in my car checking the Staples return policy, it states that without a receipt, I could get a store credit, so I walk back to the store and asked to talk to the manager, the cashier told me that she was on phone but that she will be out soon.

When she came out I informed her that I was reading the return policy and according to the policy I could request to have a store credit, she told me that the item could be a stolen item from the store and basically implied that I was trying to get the money and that those forms are expensive, she was accusing me of stealing! Again all because I didn't have the receipt with me and they were not able to locate the transaction the first time, I told her that her comments were very inappropriate, I told her that I have a Job and I own a local restaurant, I don't have the need or that mentality to steal, she walked away then returned asking me if I remember the date of the purchase and walk away again,

I was very upset, I told her that if she was not able to find the cash transaction, I'm sure that was under the card... finally she took the card and she found my purchase, returned my money with a very bad attitude and not once apologized or said sorry for the my uncomfortable experience. People like her should look for another job, she doesn't know anything about proper customer service or manners.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I received an email from PC World Deals (which is now basically and advertising platform) with a specific deal for a laser printer at Staples. The price was a third of the next best one. I get to the page, the price was right and when clicking on add to my cart the screen turned grey. Right away a chat window opens asking what kind of printer do I need. I replied, "I need a printer I can add to my cart." They replied that the printer is out of stock. I just received that email 2 minutes ago and that printer is not showing out of stock. They claim that this printer was advertised Sunday and that they are not associated with third parties. BS.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had 28 pages to have print. The girl in that department said it would be done by 1 pm. At 1 she had just started the job and when I said, "You told me it would be done by 1." Her response was to tell me that wasn't what she said and continue to be rude. I left. Came back 20 minutes later. She still wasn't done. She also said she wouldn't print the family group sheets from Ancestry. I told her she could make a copy but if she didn't want to print them I would take those somewhere else.

She hands my folder to me with sheets loose and said, "There you go." I said, "What do I owe you" and she replied, "Nothing. You said you was taking it elsewhere." She didn't even allow me to pay for the sheets she did copy. She didn't give me the copies. She said, "You do know what a copyright law is and you can't print them anywhere." That young lady said several rude and condescending things to an older lady. The company should address her behavior. 4 hours later and Staples couldn't get the job done.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Staples online service is non-existent. Their credit charge is 29% and they have a $2.00 minimum payment if interest is lower. I had a $35.00 balance making the min $2.00 equal to paying 60% annual interest. I only dealt with them for 3 payments a closed my account. Even closing the account was difficult. I first called customer service and I kid you not I had a sales recording to buy a one of those emergency buttons if you fall. The recording said if you don't want more info press #. I pressed # and got another sales pitch for a hearing aid. I went through 7 ads before hanging up. They don't even have a billing source on their home page. I had to search it down. Various phone calls to Staples revealed they have different answering services of which there is no uniformity. I went through 3 idiots before finding another number that could help. My original purchase was for the EPSON XP830.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I purchased a laptop backpack from Staples for near $90. Never carried laptop, only school homeworks for my son. All inner lines broken after 4 months (ALL, little by little from time to time). Brought back to Staples store #136. I was told STAPLES only cover their products 30 Days. After 30 days you are on your own, regardless what the reason is. They used up my extra paid 1 year replacement plan and no more coverage for the backpack anymore. The 1 year replacement plan is not for you, it is covering their own poor product quality. Covers Staples own butt. Not for you at all!

No money refund back to me, but only store credit. Forced me to purchase another backpack from them. My own experience. Very RUDE! BAD FAITH business operation! I will never, ever purchase again from STAPLES #136 (Queen St. & Airport RD Brampton. Ont.) I am sharing my terrible experience with you all. Never ever go to buy again from STAPLES. RUDE and BAD FAITH. Worse than a flea market vendor. You would spend extra money and get horrible experience with them. This is my own experience.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Our office was visited by two Staples employees: Area Sales Manager and Sales Manager. They were both attentive and friendly. The Area Sales Manager seemed to be helping a new Sales Manager get his feet under him. They left with the promise that we would provide information on our general ordering and costs and the Sales Manager would be back in touch to show us how he could beat our current supplier's pricing and service. He was extremely intense and his follow-up was overly involved. He called several times, wrote a thank-you note showing a too-personal interest and used his home address as the return contact.

When he said "I will stop by to pick up your paperwork," I offered to scan it to him by e-mail and he insisted he was not far away. Was in my office in less than 5 minutes. He was thorough but so intense and personal that it was more than uncomfortable. When our office decided that our current supplier was a better deal, and I had to break the news to him, he responded in an angry manner that left me looking over my shoulder. This is a DANGEROUS person to let into your office. I'm afraid to use my real contact information.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I ordered a Garmin TruSwing golf sensor on Boxing Day (Dec 26) because it was on sale, and they promised being it delivered by Jan 8. I am still waiting and the status of the order is "being processed". I have contacted customer service -- a very rude person by the way -- and they told me it comes from a vendor they have to wait for a few more days. I was offered a refund but I don't want the 129 I paid, just because it's 200 on the market now -- they refuse to give me that amount, nor I am getting the product so far. I could have bought it somewhere else at the same price. I am extremely disappointed with Staples. I am not going to do business with them again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Never use Staples/UPS shipping. I was under Staples business account with UPS so they confirmed I would never get proper information from UPS about my tracking. It would be all wrong information. My 49.9 lb package could not be found with my family Christmas gifts and they stated it could not be found. Tracking last from Jacksonville asking me to confirm where to send refund; to sender or back to me. This is a robbery they committed by UPS/Staples I am paying for, if my name was on the box it was to be shipped back to me is how shipping works, a box that big was not lost with my name and address on it. Thank you for praying for me during hard time this holiday.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

November 3rd I ordered an Xbox One online and was charged that day. I received the Xbox in a few days. November 10th there was a correction on my debit visa though I was not sure what this was from at that time. Mid November the Xbox went on sale for $69 cheaper. I went into the store for a price match or to return and rebuy the item. The store could not find any info in their system as if the order was never made. They called the online number and they couldn't find anything. They told me to wait till the order/charge was fixed and then call back for the price match. Mid December I received an email saying the item I ordered is not in stock. Dec. 31st my debit/visa was charged for the Xbox without warning. I then called the 1800 number to get the price match. I explained the situation and was told too bad the sale is over and they would not give me the price match.

I called back and asked to talk to a supervisor or manager and was refused. I just spent $360 on this Xbox and then $1400 on a laptop, I shop with them all the time you would think they would want to keep good customers. 1st- They should have given me the price match as it was their system error that caused the problem. 2nd- It was as if the error wasn't fixed till it was too late to get the price match on purpose. 3rd- There should be a time limit in which a company had to fix the charge for online shopping and after a certain period it shouldn't be allowed. If there is already I can't find the info for it. I've emailed Staples today explaining the entire scenario. I hope they will work this out with me or I will not be shopping with them again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Ordered a office chair for my husband. Waited 9 days for it after being promised it 4 different delivery dates. Called every day on it and always got told something different. After waiting 9 days decided to cancel the order and take my business somewhere else. Will never do business with Staples again. Their next day delivery is a TOTAL lie!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Told store would honor sale price posted on the shelf. Manager took all of my information and when he rang me up at register, tried to force me to pay regular price even after he promised to honor sale. I have nothing but problems with this chain. Staples make customers feel like they've done something wrong by expecting to pay advertised prices! Call customer service and the rep said they would lose money by giving me the advertised sale price! LOL… My items were like $80.00. After 2.5 hrs of my day wasted, came away with nothing. I have photos of the sale price on shelf, which has since been removed. This is the LAST time I will shop here.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Staples is advertising the “Prepaid Visa REBATE’ again. DON’T FALL FOR IT. I fell for it last June 2016. I paid the extra for the box of printer paper figuring it sound like a good deal. Because I would receive a $39 Rebate within 4 to 6 weeks. This is a SCAM!!! When I first called after 10 weeks and no Rebate, I was told it was mailed and used already. Absolutely NOT true. After 6 months of phone calls and even their required signed and notarized affidavit that I didn’t receive it, in August 2016, I continued to get excuses. Then in November I received a letter saying I would finally receive it in 10 business days. haha Guess what - still NOTHING!!! I researched the STAPLES Rebate on the internet and read many comments that they run this huge SCAM and it's been going on for several years!!! There was even a Class Action against them and they are still at it!!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I made contact with this particular store in San Marcos, CA. They were wonderful until they found out I was a person of color by the photo on my business cards I was having made. The manager and the woman who answer the phone talked to me like trash. They promise to have your business cards ready by 8:30 p.m. the same day if your order is in by 2:00 p.m. the same day. My order was in closed to 9:00 a.m.

They claim they have a problem with the file and have others they need to take care of before me. Shouldn't they be taking them in order? I used the same file with Town and Country and never had a problem. The only problem the manager and phone reception NASTY have is with my skin color. BOYCOTT them if you are a person of color and see if their perspective and customer service behaviors improve.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

On 12/15/2017, I placed an online order for in store pick-up in 1 hour. In 1 hr I received notice it was now not available, so I wanted to pick the item up at another store. They cancelled first order & placed order with other location. Said it was not possible to change pick-up location. I was informed that the $171.00 hold put on my debit for the cancelled order would not be available for 7 to 10 days and wanted to charge me another $171.00. I think these people are stupid and lazy. Even the supervisor I spoke with lazy and rude.

I have a merchant account and I know they should have requested the authorization hold on my account be cancelled, but no that would be too much work for these idiots. Told they didn’t know if they could that. I will never patronize Staples again. The supervisor, Toni told me she would send me a $5 off coupon, even though she wasn’t supposed too. I guess she really has the Christmas spirit. That $5 really makes up for not being able use my money for 7 days.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I ordered Dell XPS 13.3 from Staples at $949 on Thanksgiving and the product title was as follows: Dell XPS 13 133 inch QHD 3200 x 1800 i78550U 16GB 512GB PCIe SSD Intel HD Graphics 45 W 60 WHr battery. Instead of Dell XPS they delivered Dell Inspiron with the below configuration. Dell Inspiron 15 5000, 15.6-inch Fhd (1920 X 1080), I7-8550u, 12gb, 128gb (SSD), Intel Uhd Graphics 620, 45 W, 42whr Battery.

When I asked them that the item delivered is not XPS they mentioned that website had typographical error. Now what failed to understand is that typographical error should be like wrong weight or size but how come the whole model and configuration can be wrong.They took almost 15 days for the delivery and what they delivered is absolutely wrong model and not ready to give the product they mentioned on their website while placing order. Due to their mistake I missed all the good laptop deals available during Thanksgiving and now I need to pay more price to get the laptop with desired configuration. Utterly frustrating and will not recommend anybody to purchase from Staples.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I ordered HP laptop for $499 from Staples on 11-23-2017 as a Black Friday deal. I got order confirmation email. It said in bold capital letters "PICK UP IN STORE" and pick up on Friday. It did not even say wait for confirmation email to pick up in store. They advertised as "purchase online during Thanksgiving and pick up anytime Friday in store". Since I got order confirmation, I did not explore any other doorbuster deals from other dealers. I went to pick up my laptop on Friday (11-24-17) morning 8:00 am and to my surprise the so called store manager said "your order is cancelled as we don't have that laptop in stock". There were two managers, both think that we customers are surviving because of them.

They were so unprofessional and impolite. I am surprised nobody in Staples is responsible for this. It looks like it is well planned scam to attract customers to the store. I called 800-338-0252. It seems this is their president's office number. I got this number during online chat. After listening to my concern the person who received my call shamelessly telling me that they did not ask me not to explore other doorbuster deals. My question is why should I order one more laptop from other deals when I already purchased online from Staples. I have decided not to purchase anything from Staples even if they offer 10 times lower price than other dealers. Never ever. I am also looking for options to complain to some authorities. I don't want Staples to do this kind of cheating and fooling customers in the future to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Heights of poor customer service. I booked an order for laptop on 11-23-2017 at 3:19 AM for 1 hour store pickup, I received an email for the order confirmation, when I went to the store for pickup after two days, they were saying, "Your order has been canceled, money will be refund to your account" WITHOUT ANY EMAIL CONFIRMATION PRIOR ABOUT ORDER CANCELLATION, I waited for 3 days for the order and they hold my money for 5 days, I ordered my laptop in an emergency situation, as my other laptop was break down and I found good offer.

Now when I speak to one of customer care executive they said, "We cannot do anything other than waiting for the money get refunded to your account" or you said wait for the notification until product get into in stock. “This means that they are giving an offer for waiting another 1 week to get notified, even that is not sure whether they can send the product”. This is the quality of service I faced after waiting 5 days, they gave me bonus by holding my money as well wasted my valuable 7 days. Still nothing was done till now. I strongly recommend not to follow any online products from Staples.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I purchased a desktop printer in September while trying to secure a location for a new business. We were unsuccessful in finding a location until the first week of November. Upon securing the new location we decided that we did not require the printer that was purchased. I tried to return the printer 11-24-17 and was refused the return due to Staples 15 day return policy. The printer has never been opened and this is just plain robbery! I can understand that the receipt was stamped w/ the return policy about technology returns of 15 days.

I did not consider the printer as "technology", it's a printer. And if the box had been opened I can understand not accepting it as a return. If someone buys an item while trying to accessorize their business in order to be ready to open that business when it all falls in place and then realizes they do not need this item, why should they be robbed of their hard earned money because a large retailer who makes much more money refuses an un-opened item? This is why the public is shopping at COSTCO! My years of purchasing from Staples is over! I will never shop there again and will discourage everyone I know to boycott them as well. This is a terrible policy and should be revised!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Staples easy rebates are just the opposite of easy. The rebate program is basically a fraudulent method of overcharging for products and not giving the rebates as advertised. Staples sent a rebate to me in the form of a debit card, but the debit card cannot be activated. There is absolutely no help by phone or internet as to activating the debit card, as Staples does not want to honor the rebate. If it is advertised as “easy” and it is not, then this is most definitely fraud. My only hope is that by refusing to shop at Staples, it will help to quickly put them out of business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

First let me say I will never make another purchase through Staples again! I have been shopping at Staples for over 10 years, when I went into the store to return the keyboard I never expected to be treated the way I was treated last night (9-14-2017). First the keyboard was purchased less than 2 weeks prior, clerk at Staples sold me a 2 year warranty and I drilled him about it, "Can I bring it back to this store if I need to return it?" I was told yes. "Ok then great, I'll buy the warranty." I kid you not, less than 2 weeks later and the keys were falling off - so I brought it back. The Manager didn't even try to help me, treated me like dirt in front my son and I lost it - I threw the receipt and warranty at him and told him to keep his trash and told him that he lost a valued customer! I will NEVER buy from Staples again!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have been going to the East Norriton Staples for 1 year & during any order I have placed Monday through Friday the staff has been absolutely amazing and helpful but EVERY time I have placed an order on the weekend with SAM there were ALWAYS mistakes, delays & excuses. Today is where I drew the line. Not only were they dismissive & unwilling to help, having me on hold for 16 mins 43 sec to check an order emailed, they were rude & unrepresentative of the quality service Staples assures customers will receive. When asked to speak to the manager, Mike, he was even more dismissive & had the audacity to reprimand me & the quality service I had received from the Monday thru Friday staff for the past year.

When I asked for the corporate # he said he didn't have it. When I questioned why as a manager he does not have the number for corporate he then proceeded to tell me to place an order at Staples.com & quickly spewed the 800 # to customer service. I call customer service & the young lady was very apologetic & took my complaint. When asked about the print & marketing policies she transferred me to customer service there where now Bridget adds to the problem of not receiving quality customer service.

After explaining the situation she told me the policy but went on & on after every question I asked about "why if a policy is in place would they have me go about my orders for the past year this way?" Continuously her response was, "I have no control over what that store does." True fact but... Is this how Staples train their reps? If a family member asked why a nurse didn't take care of their parent how well would they respond to me saying, "I dunno. I have no control over what she does." Shame on Staples! I'm trying to handle all of this from a hospital bed on my cell phone and NO ONE, at any point I mentioned that fact, wanted to provide any further assistance.

When I asked Bridget could she assist me her response was, "I don't know what to tell you. You have to go on the site." WOW! This has DEFINITELY caused me to look elsewhere for office supplies & print & marketing requests. It only takes one success story of discounted pricing and willingness for competition to do it better before other Sunrises may follow suit. Horrible experience, customer service & representation on this Day from the people I named! I plan to let EVERYONE know of this experience today! You have managed to elevate my stress of what is already a stressful situation & elevate my blood pressure! I feel horrible for the bad review because of the GREAT SERVICE TIM & WALT HAVE ALWAYS PROVIDED. Because this day Mike, Sam & Bridget changed everything that has happened and made this one of my WORST top 5 customer service experiences in almost 40 years.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I purchased a computer desk, Whalen Astoria with glass top, and matching file cabinet at the Staples website on 8/21/17. They were shipped on two separate days. The cabinet was received on 8/22/17 in perfect condition and works fine. The desk however, arrived on 8/25/17. The glass top was a bag full of small crumbled glass pieces. I never opened the bag and made arrangements for the return and exchange. I was told UPS would pick up the desk at the house, that they would have all of the shipping information, and that a new desk would be shipped. Expected delivery date was 9/1/17. The desk was picked up by UPS on 8/30/17. Thankfully the UPS driver told me to retain his small receipt as it would be the only proof that they picked it up. After pickup, the Staples website shows that the return has been cancelled.

The UPS tracking shows that the desk has been received by the vendor. September 1 has come and I still have no tracking number with UPS, so I call Staples. They tell me that the desk should be delivered by 5:00pm. The desk never shows up. September 2 when I wake up, I check the Staples website and the desk now has a schedule delivery of 9/6/17. Customer service told me that she could not cancel the order as it has been moved to a processing status. I asked for a tracking number again, and this time I was provided one. The tracking number was processed on 8/31/17, so all earlier shipping information was a bunch of bunk. I will see if I receive by 9/6. I am totally finished dealing with Staples. I now know why they shut down all of their brick and mortar stores near me (Chicago burbs). Their management is really screwed up.

Staples Company Information