1.02/5

666 Staples Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Staples delivery service has been excellent. However, their in-store personnel are rude, disobliging, and incompetent. Last summer, I wanted to order 500 letterhead envelopes, and it took me three visits to the store to successfully put the order in. Last week, they taxed us on our tax exempt account, and when I called, they told me I have to come to the store in person to be credited -- you would think a *business store would be able to take our More Account number and simply note a credit over the phone. They put you, the customer, to *way too much trouble.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Placed three separate orders for paper. All three were misdelivered. Spent over 1 hour on phone trying to resolve, customer service useless. I will personally never spend another penny with Staples ever, anywhere.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Staples on Stavanger Drive, St John's NL. On Aug 16th I placed an order using the "pick up in store" to save some time as I was getting ready to leave on vacation, this was a BIG mistake. I was contacted twice in error to pick up my purchase to which I had to leave the office and drive to the other side of town. Both times I was met with impatient staff who made it seem like it was an inconvenience to them that I had shown up looking for my order...after I left the second time the staff took my phone number and promised to call when the order was finally collected (They didn’t, in fact they googled the business and contacted the owner of the company, who was in the middle of his wedding week.

Good job Staples, the one week of the year I was really trying to keep things off his plate.) When I finally did go back for my order they were missing the binders, which I had asked about at the store when I showed up the first time. In the interest of getting out on time for vacation I would have gone elsewhere in town... but since they decided to tell me ALL day up to the point of collection that all my items were available I was then an hour past my vacation start and driving around town looking for another open spot. While I was away the team discovered they also gave us 20 Blueline notebooks that were the wrong ones! Now since the plastic is open on them Staples will not exchange them, so we're left with notebooks that are hardly of use.

Now to the part that makes no sense to me at all...I have been over 3 weeks now asking Staples for a simple invoice that shows what we actually paid for the order!!! Since they did not have everything we ordered the amount on my invoice is different than that which we were charged on the credit card. I've reached out to support now on 6 different occasions. Three of those times I received a fairly prompt reply stating that my invoice would be emailed separately, 2 of those times I was sent the incorrect one. The third time I received nothing. I wrote them back the following day and stated I had not received anything, absolutely no response.

All I am asking for is a receipt from Staples that shows the correct amount the business paid for supplies, rather than the amount we ordered but Staples could not fulfill. I only started here with this company back in the spring and actively advocated for us to switch to Staples from our other local competitors based on pricing. However considering the hassle I have experienced with them over the past few weeks over something so foolish I think I'll be reconsidering that!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I went to Staples on 1 Chestnut Hill Plz Newark, DE 19713. The employee who had blue T-shirt and his name is ** looked at me in the bad way. It wasn’t busy the store then. I thought that he’s going to get my order quickly, but he just look at me and told me with an angry voice: "What do you need?" I said: "A copy of this please." And he shouted at me: "I won’t, grab a scanner and do that in your house." And I said: "But it’s the copies area and I did before." And he shouted at me again: "I won’t do that, have a nice day." I felt really bad because that’s discrimination. I’m a Mexican, I know English and I have rights to be here. I have green card, I pay taxes and I work hard like a racist employee tries me like that. I hope the company does something on this situation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

This took place at Staples 6801 Dixie Hwy Louisville KY on 08/29/18. 3 weeks ago I dropped off 3 different thing to be copied. They were simple black & white copies. The guy who took the order then was the same guy I had encounter with today. Returned week and half later to pick up order. They couldn't find, nothing was done, it was buried on a shelf. Still left it & gave another week and half. Picked up order yesterday. When I went through it one was right, one was wrong and the other one wasn't even started on. The employee who waited on me had an attitude, so I gave him one back. He didn't like hearing how he messed up my order, he took a piece of paper out of my box and shoved it in my face. Then I told him, "I ought to knock your head off." Then I was asked to leave the store. How would like to have a piece of paper shoved in your face. I will not be back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I ordered address labels (before 2 pm) to be picked up the following day before 5:30 pm (more than 24 hrs) and when I arrived at 5:45 pm... voila... The staff printed the wrong labels!!! Same day service is actually NEXT 2 DAYS SERVICE.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We are a small church that has been a loyal Staples customer since way back when the only way to buy their products was either in-store or through the mail order catalog. I'm talking pre-internet days here. Since I took over the account 4 years ago, I have watched this once great company trip over itself, slowly slide down a slippery slope, and finally fling itself over the cliff of no return. Prices have increased. Rewards programs and rebates have either disappeared, become so convoluted that it's impossible to redeem them or most recently, turned into pay-to-play. We were enrolled for free into the Staples Plus Rewards program at some point several months ago and enjoyed decent (but not mind-blowing) savings on paper, printer ink and a few other items that I prefer to buy from Staples instead of the Amazon.com marketplace.

However out of the blue today, I received a phone call from our new account manager, trying VERY hard to push us to sign up for their "new" Staples Plus program which is either $49/yr or $59/yr. (I was given the $49 price over the phone and $59 price via email and on their website.) I tried to tell them I was not interested in paying for rewards, and if, as they claimed, all rewards programs except Staples Plus were to be discontinued (which is not what the FAQ on their website indicates), then I would simply choose to take my business elsewhere (i.e. Amazon). The account rep tried to talk over me, called back twice after I hung up, then sent me an email begging me to reconsider. Staples, what the heck is wrong with you? This is not how you retain customers. We're off to WB Mason and Amazon.com, thanks.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have submitted the rebate online. The rebate was denied, because the order number was not found in their rebate system. However my order is correct. They told me the rebate system is closed, they can't do anything about it. Disappointing, specially there is no mistake from customer side.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Order cancelled without notice. Ordered a laptop online via Staples.ca. Received confirmation via email that my item would be received in 2 days. Also confirmed the pre-authorized charge to my credit card. However the order was cancelled without any notification. Called support, they stated that: My card failed validation (yet they managed to pre-authorize). That they emailed me to cancel (yet nothing in my inbox or spam). That it was impossible to receive the item next day or in two days (regardless of what the order confirmation says). The hell with these guys.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My son and I go jogging thrice weekly and my son, who is seeking a gaming laptop, likes to go into Staples (Gerrard Mall, Toronto) and view the gaming laptops. We are saving money for the laptop and I, his father am on a tight budget. After several visits to the store to browse the gaming laptops and ask questions about their products, the staff became unfriendly, abrupt, and had one of their security people stand directly in front of us for our entire visit. We said nothing, and I suggested to my son that we should leave. As we were approaching the exit a burly employee stops his work suddenly and gives me a cold stare to which I did not respond. I used to respect this store but after reading hundreds of complaints online about this business and my own experience, I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Last Thursday I bought a printer from Staples. For the past year I've bought most of my electronic items from Amazon but that day I passed by the Staples store and thought I'd give it a try (why not - I hadn't ordered anything from them in years). The printer was to be delivered the following day (yesterday). I received a notice from UPS that the printer was delivered at 4:03 - I immediately went downstairs to find no printer, no UPS truck in my area, nothing. After several calls to UPS and Staples I now find that neither company will take responsibility for the "loss" of my printer. The driver claims there was a woman "near my house" - he asked her if she was me and she replied "yes" - he gave the printer to her with apparently no check of ID or anything. That was the story I was told.

I receive packages weekly delivered by UPS and the drivers never leave a box at my door without ringing the doorbell or knocking at the door - neither happened yesterday. I cannot believe Staples and UPS would jerk their customers around like this - I spent an hour being sent from one company to the other; UPS claims they can't initiate a claim or other action because of the (unexplained) nature of Staples' contract with them. Staples claims UPS is at fault for leaving the package without obtaining an ID so they send me back to UPS - it was made clear to me that neither company cared about the loss of my merchandise. I will never purchase anything from Staples again - thankfully UPS is not my carrier of choice.

Updated on 08/06/2018: This afternoon a UPS delivery man delivered my printer and rang my doorbell to let me know if was there - as they always do (except last Friday). The printer was delivered to a couple who live more than 4 blocks away and they were nice enough to contact UPS and have it redelivered. I'm thankful for honest and helpful "neighbors".

Original review: July 26, 2018

I'm not going to go into great detail as it would simply take too long. I ordered trash bags from Staples and apparently there was an error on their website regarding the pricing. After several failed attempts to get it right, Staples simply refused to honor the website price. This to me is false advertising. In any event, Staples has lost me as a customer for good. This was not the first problem I have had with Staples, but this one certainly is my last.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My husband googled online a chair from Staples he wanted and found one in a store near us to do his work. Their elevator was broken, so they could not get it down for him so instead, he placed an order to get it at a later date. Upon arriving home, he noticed another Staples in the area had one so he decided to cancel his previous order to go to the next store. The customer service line explained SPECIFICALLY that it would be ok for us to just go to the next store to pick it up (we called to make sure this would be ok). Lo and behold, we get an e-mail saying our order is cancelled and it will be at least a week for our money back.

We thought this must be a mistake so we called again...nope, no mistake. They told us to go to another Staples, re-order (doubling the amount we paid) and wait a minimum of a week for a refund if they even decide to give it back to us. We spoke to 3 separate people, all of which were rude and unprofessional, and not one of them was willing to mitigate their mistake. We will never be buying from Staples again and will always recommend against. We were not even permitted to speak to a supervisor... Thanks for your support Staples -sincerely, a submariner family of the US Navy.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Based on the complete explanation of the poor service I received, I was told that I couldn't return the computer because I MAY have had it 15 days instead of the 14-day maximum for refunds. On 21 June 2018, I purchased a refurbished Dell 990 Desktop ($347.99) from Staples online. It was shipped on 22 June, and I received it on 25 June, earlier than expected. I took my time to set the new computer up to be sure things were done correctly.

On 02 July, I contacted Joy Systems (the refurbisher - 877 569 8808) to ask for guidance to start WINDOWS 10. The technician’s suggestions were helpful, and I had no trouble setting up WINDOWS 10 and testing the keyboard and mouse. All seemed to work well. However, the computer would not connect to the WiFi in my house. I was surprised that any computer manufactured in the past 5 years did not have that capability. On 04 July, I purchased a Netgear A6100 WiFi USB adapter ($43.99) from my local Staples store. I immediately tried to install it. However, the CD drive would not open. I tried several times.

On 05 July, I contacted Joy Systems (877 569 8808). The technician guessed that it was a faulty CD drive. He said he would send another one, and I would receive it in 3-4 days. I received it on 09 July. However, since I felt unqualified to replace the CD drive, I took my computer and new CD drive to my nearby Staples store. The technician told me that the store director required that I pay $29 for him to make the exchange. Luckily, the technician in less than a minute, surreptitiously showed me how I could replace the drive myself, so I avoided the $29, and lugged the computer back home without having the drives exchanged. However, at home when I tried to exchange the CD drives, I found that the new drive sent to me was not the correct one. It was twice the size of mine! It would in no way fit into the computer box.

My understanding of “refurbished” is that the computer is in working order at the purchase price, backed by Staples. Now, I have a non-working newly -refurbished computer. My suggestion: I send the computer to Staples and include the new CD drive and Netgear WiFi adapter in exchange for my $347.99 + $43.99 return. I prefer that you, not I, deal with your sub-contractor, Joy Systems. Send me the address for the return to Staples. Alternatively, I can return all of the items to my nearby Staples in Hendersonville, NC.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Let me preface this review by saying that 2 days prior to the disturbing customer service incident, I brought my Staples brand paper shredder to the Staples store in Charlottesville, Virginia because after six months, the paper shredder had apparently stopped working. I gave my paper shredder to an associate (should've taken his name, and/or gotten a receipt for my merchandise) who told me the manager would "look at it, then call me..." Two days later, still no call. So, I went back to the store two days later---I just wanted my paper shredder back. The associate who waited on me kept asking me to tell him the exact date, AND the exact time I had dropped off the shredder. I told him I left the shredder approximately two days previous, and I gave a physical description of the associate who took it. They kept asking me again??? "EXACTLY what day did you leave it and EXACTLY what time?" --"Because we have camera footage, and...."

To make a long story short, they took my merchandise under the pretense of possibly fixing it and calling me... They did neither... Then when I returned to simply try and get my merchandise back, they treated me as if I had made up the story... I guess to try and get a paper shredder out of them? I kept having to tell them over and over that I simply wanted my paper shredder back that I had left with them!! I had to tell them repeatedly that I am neither a thief, nor a liar!! They finally looked for my paper shredder and gave it to me, but not before treating me like a common criminal, instead of looking for the shredder like they should've in the beginning!!! I will NOT be back!!! I would give them zero stars were that possible!!!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I placed an order with a representative on the phone. I had given the rep my correct address, but I saw in the confirmation email 3 hours later that they were mistakenly shipping the item to my daughter's home more than 1,000 miles away. I immediately called and asked the rep to correct their mistake on the delivery address. She said that she was unable to do that. She said that she had to cancel the first order and place a new order, so we did that. I paid for the 2nd order, had it delivered to my local Staples store, and picked it up the next day. Four days later, the first order that I was told had been cancelled was delivered to my daughter's home. I checked my credit card statement and saw that the first order had not been cancelled.

I called again and asked to have the charge from the first order credited back to me. Staples will not credit that money back to me until my daughter delivers the item to UPS or to a Staples store and they verify that it has been returned. Staples made a mistake on the delivery address and on their failure to cancel the first order. They have wasted a lot of my time, and now they will also waste some of my daughter's time to get their mistakes corrected. This is a good way to drive long-time customers away from a business.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Complaint Details. On May 20 2018 an order was placed with Staples. The order was for a product that was placed directly with the store for a product that was supposedly online. However I was told the product would be delivered to my home. The product has not arrived to me to this date. I have spoken with several representatives with Staples that advised that 1st that the package was picked up in store but it was, this was on May 23, the package was not picked up. After further investigation I was advised that the package was delivered to front door. Package was no delivered to front door. Advised the store of their own tracking # that did not know. Spoke with a specialist that stated they would reship the order immediately and would file a complaint with UPS but would make me whole. This was after having to try to explain to the online representatives who were just rude, nasty and downright mean.

This product was for an item that was close to 1000.00. Waited a few more days still no update. Reached out to Staples again and the rudeness and unprofessional, that could have been tolerable had I been given any update on the package. I did speak with a supervisor Pamela ** who advised me the original package was actually discontinued and that a replacement item would be ordered and expedited. 17 days into the ordeal and when I inquire about the order I'm told "we will send the vendor a message." The vendor works for Staples. Why has this continuously be the response, why hasn't someone called the vendor. I'm told that "we sent the vendor a message. If they don't get back to you let us know". This is ridiculous that this seems acceptable as a resolution also that the offer of a resolution to give me a gift card to order something else?

799.00 to spend with Staples to just order "something else" how is making me whole. I still wouldn't have the product and then forced to spend the money with Staples. Anyway it's almost a reward. That regardless of how they behave, that they have no reason to act with any sense of urgency or treat the customer with any kind of respect. I have been left to fight this battle with a vendor although I purchased the item from Staples however since this is a win for Staples regardless of how this turns out no matter what I'm going to spend 799.99 with Staples no matter what.

ORDER INFORMATION ORDER INFORMATION Order #: **. Order Date: 05/20/2018. Please expedite the shipment of my order and if you are not able to do so, please refund me in the form of a check not force me to still after this customer service failure to still spend money with you and because of that end result that there's no urgency. This expensive purchase was one that should have and still needs to satisfy the goal of adding this item to photography, a gift card won't satisfy that. I'm not just able to use it to buy something else as I was told to do by your social media representative. All l ask is that my item be shipped, no messages to the vendor on a ETA, call them they work for you. You've now explained to me that I should just wait and if the VENDOR doesn't get back to me then let you know.

I'm not an agent for Staples. If I had been I wouldn't have answer my STAPLES customer to wait to hear from the Vendor. I have as your Contact Supervisor explained to me, allowed you (STAPLES) an opportunity fix this negative customer experience. However this has gone nowhere and each time that I ask for relief I'm made to feel as if "we told you we'd let you know whenever "WE" hear something. Basically shut up and wait, if you don't like it just buy something else here at Staples. Either way stop bothering us". Shame on You.

Original review: June 4, 2018

We bought a padded office chair. A few months later, it wouldn't stay in an upright position. When I took out the screws, I saw the wood binding the screws was thin layers of pine, not glued. Maybe 12 to an inch. Totally shattered. Chair is worthless. As we had just moved, I lost track of my receipt so I didn't bother calling the Sierra Vista store.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have tried multiple times to use the unsubscribe web page on Staples website and it does not work. So I called and spoke to an employee. She said she would unsubscribe my email address. That was at least 2 weeks ago and the emails have not stopped so I emailed Staples about a week ago and I am still receiving them.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Staples is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with in life. I placed an order with Staples - the 1st order was six chairs and a conference table. I changed my mind on the chairs and they told me they would send someone to pick chairs up May 14, 2018. No one showed up. Then they told me they would come get the chairs May 16, 2018. They told me they would get the chairs May 17, 2018. Three times no one showed. I went past the representative - I had been talking to management. I ordered new chairs and they told me they would deliver them May 16, 2018 - they delivered one chair and Staples have no clue how that happened. May 17, the other five showed up.

The conference table was supposed to come May 14, - now I have to give credit where credit is due - a company did call me that Friday prior about the order for May 14, 2018 - The company not one time referred the order to Staples so I was not even sure what they were talking about but I followed my instinct and called anyway. They told me to push option 6 and I did but could not leave a message but I never called back because I thought it was a bogus call because they did not call out Staples name once. So May 14, 2018 no conference table. May 15, 2018, I called the company again and it was for the conference table - I told them to put on hold because they said I had to pick up the table and bring it upstairs.

They only drop off and keep going. I told the company to hold on. I called Staples and I talked to two supervisors and I explained to them about the courier or freight company on what they said about delivering the items to me. The manager assured me that was fine and that everything would be alright. When the delivery company got to my office May 17, 2018, they said, "I am here now. You have to come and take the table to your office" and I said, "Are you serious?" - all they did was drop off the table in your back door and you carry it. I told them take the table back because it's no way possible could I lift it. I told Staples to just give me a refund and I will find a company who will deliver inside my door. I just finally said give me a refund for the table. This is the third day they were to pick up the chairs. Now I want to see what their excuse is.

They did give me a 100.00 coupon and a 50.00 refund on my card. The service is terrible because if they were organized we would have never gotten to this point and for me to say I pray I have to never ever use them again in life. I tried not to get mad with the representatives. I explained to them I was angry with the situation and no one was going out of their way to help me other than one supervisor but she assured me I would get a pickup today for the chairs but nothing happened.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Terrible! I'm 65 and struggling. Not inept, just struggling to keep up with technology. When I brought my HP in because I had a problem that needed tech support all the technician tried to do was sell me other products. Unfortunately, I agreed to purchase a floor model desktop at a reduced price as it had been used by many for, who knows how long. They were also strong arming me to buy their tech support, their anti-virus even though I told them I already have that service paid for, and tried to convince me I should buy a new hard drive for the HP instead of repairing. When I agreed on Sunday to purchase the floor model I was told it had to be serviced first. This is good. I made an appointment for Wednesday. When I arrive the same individual (who didn't even recognize me) told me the computer had not been looked at because the only person who could certify it wasn't there (?)

I came back the next day (you know, 24 hour service) and it was still sitting there; nobody had touched it; nobody in the store knew what I was talking about. I regret not walking out. I finally got a tech person who seemed to care. He pushed it though. I paid $70 to transfer all my info. I believe this was kind of a lot of money for hooking up one machine to another but I have many, many games that are tedious to transfer. They did not tell me they would not transfer. Nobody seemed to care; nobody was friendly... worst decision of my life to purchase from tech people at Staples, Westfield MA. Now I'm finding I can't transfer my Office 2010 product and must purchase another. Wow! Done with Staples. They should stick to selling pencils. I thought $170 just to look at my HP to find the problem was outrageous. Now I'm into this Dell for $550 and counting and it's used. Shame on me.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I've had a few bad experiences with Staples, to the point where I will never do business with them again. I'm a small business owner and I order a lot of shipping boxes. Staples is a good option price-wise, but I've decided they are not worth the terrible service they provide and the mistakes they make. This is a summary of my last three orders on Staples.com, on all three, mistakes were made and customer service was a problem.

Purchase 1: I ordered a bundle of shipping boxes to be delivered to my local store. However, for some reason, Staples thought my local store was in TX, even though I ordered through my own account with only one address in MO. So the order was going to ship to a store in TX... shoot, my mistake for not paying attention. I noticed right away and sent a message through their customer service tab asking to get the order switched to my MO store. No answer and the next day, my order is ready to be picked up in TX. The email says if I don't pick it up in 3 days, it will automatically be canceled.

So I'm thinking, I'll re-order this at the MO store, and let this order down at TX time out and cancel. Which I did and everything seemed fine... until I got a notification that my order was picked up from the TX store!!! Now, I don't have any sort of proof that some sort of foul play occurred, but that is very fishy and at the very least speaks to the poor business practices Staples uses to verify customers when they pick up an order. I did call Staples immediately and they made me whole, but up until that point, that was an unacceptable experience is so many ways.

Purchase 2: I ordered 3 bundles of boxes, to be delivered to my home this time (I try to learn from my mistakes). This purchase took place at the beginning of April and I'm still waiting for one of the bundles to arrive. Purchase 3: I ordered another bundle of boxes with a guaranteed delivery of Friday, May 4th. I really needed these boxes on that date and Staples had the right size... and I'm a glutton for punishment so I gave them another shot. Friday morning got here and the UPS tracking numbers showed that UPS still did not have the items... so I know for sure that I'm not getting them at this point.

I call Staples customer service and the guy swears up and down that I will get the packages today, just be patient and call us if you don't have them by 5pm. But I know they're not going to be delivered so I keep pressing him and he insists that I will get them and just wait until 5 and they'll get there. Of course, they don't come and at 2pm I get on the chat with someone at Staples. He tells me that they are still going to get there by 5pm and "escalates" my case to a manager, and then PROMISES me that I'll get a call back before the end of the day. BIG SURPRISE HERE... I never got a call, and the delivery didn't come.

At 8pm that night, I get on the chat again and the person tells me that, contrary to what the last rep told me, I need to wait 24 hours for a response... You guys have not given the items to UPS... what is so hard to figure out here!!! My guess is you are just stalling because you don't have the items in stock, but instead of being honest, Staples is using these terrible "customer service" tactics of get the customer off the phone and stall until tomorrow. Guess what, still no response 3 days later and I disputed the charge with AMEX (first time I've ever done that). This is a pattern of poor customer service and broken logistics. I will never do business with Staples again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I bought their customer computer repair service. It was terrible, they knew less than I did, they refund my money but then a month later they took money out again, no one knows anything.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My package contents was valued at over $2,000 and the damages are valued at over $700! Please consider the following a summary of events pertaining to the nature of my complaint in which my relentless digging uncovered possible fraud/theft, removal of customer rights as an shipper/owner of contents shipped without knowledge, a procedure system that leaves the door wide open for the opportunity for fraudulent activity to occur as no party seems to be held responsible even though the paying customer's rights were relinquished unknowingly and the absolute lack of communication pertaining to the importance of purchasing insurance. The details of this complaint is against Staples and UPS, the faulty method of operations assumed to derive from their business agreement and clear lack of communication to the paying customer, may be found in the summary below.

I also have the documents: 1. Timeline. Specific dates and communication with Staples and UPS. 2. Sales Transaction, Value, Description & Itemization prepared for Staples & Broken Items' replacement value. 3. Email Correspondence with Staples and UPS. 4. Copy of UPS tracking scanning dates & times which are for a day earlier than I had even gone to Staples. 5. Copy of Staples' Customer Receipt dates & Staples' Receipt of Payment Dates & Times. 6. Copy of BBB Complaint and responses.

There are not very many options to ship a large, heavy, fragile package in the town I reside in. After calling 1 other option, I decided to go to Staples to have my 63 pieces of Lenox Opal Innocence china that I have had kept in pristine, never been used, brand new condition stored away since my divorce years ago. I had finally reached a point in my life where I needed to let this china go and found an exceptional woman who seemed very sincere in her desire to appreciate and use these beautiful pieces as they were intended to be used. And with much consideration, I gifted her these 63 pieces, valued at over $2,000 for an exceptional price.

On March 28th, 2018 I had spent 2 hours at Staples packing the largest box they offered with massive amounts of paper and bubble wrap, taking every precaution possible that these would arrive in mint condition. At no time did anyone during those 2 hours of my packing the china, mention the fact that I was about to lose my rights as the owner of the contents of this package and as the shipper of this package once I paid Staples as what I had perceived, operated similarly to that of a pick up location for UPS. I had zero idea that a customer loses such rights when a 3rd party, such as Staples, is used as the pickup location for UPS until April 2, 2018 when I learned from the person who purchased my china that it had not yet been received and in fact UPS communicated to her, the recipient, that they, UPS, was actually attempting to locate this package.

I was never contacted by UPS regarding this at all, because upon calling UPS I was told that I was not the shipper of record, nor did I have any rights to know the details pertaining to this package at all whatsoever as my name was not attached to this package. I was advised by UPS that I needed to contact Staples for the answers to my questions as they were names as the sender and all communication by UPS would go directly to them. Furthermore, during my 2 hours at Staples packing the 63 pieces of china, the employees in the printing department had learned through periodic questions and communication that it was worth about $1500 - $2000. I had not been made aware of importance of purchasing insurance until the package was deemed lost, on April 2, 2018.

I was completely devastated by the fact that I was told by the Staples Claims Department that I would only receive the liability payment of $100 plus the shipping charge of $53.24 for this china. I was beyond sad at this point, that I had not only lost a great deal of money but that this large, 60 pound, heavy box has disappeared and the china was most likely destroyed or in the hands of someone else who didn't deserve them. It broke my heart to learn that I had no rights to seek payment from UPS for at minimum the amount the recipient paid for them and that I would have to refund her money in full.

It is beyond me how this is a standard business practice as no matter what UPS decides to do, based on what Staples requests from UPS, that I have no rights to deal directly with UPS, nor request the value, nor receive payment from UPS. My rights as the shipper of record/owner of the package were relinquished to Staples as far as UPS is concerned, as soon as I paid Staples to have UPS ship my package, which was never communicated in any way to me. I had absolutely no idea and it would never have occurred to me that this is the way UPS & Staples work together. I simply assumed Staples was a pickup type center for UPS.

None of this process was even mentioned to me so I had no reason to suspect that this is the way the system works. I, absolutely & unequivocally, would have either not chosen to ship my package using a 3rd party or would have with absolute 100% certainty confirmed that ample insurance was purchased for the entire value of the china had I even suspected the possibility that I would not be able to present my case to the party responsible if the package was lost or damaged nor that I would be able to collect at minimum that amount I sold the contents for. I've worked with UPS in the past and was paid for the value of a lost product even though there was no insurance. So I'm in complete disgust that when I stated the value of what I was packing that Staples' employees didn't explain the insurance sufficiently, didn't emphasize the importance of it, didn't charge me for it, nor confirm that I didn't purchase it.

Furthermore, Staples has had this problem occur with customers in the past and had such an enormous problem with this issue when they were shipping for USPS, which I learned later trying to find some answers through research, that USPS stopped allowing Staples to accept packages from customers on their behalf. Staples even accidentally (I'm assuming) typed USPS in their initial response to the BBB instead of UPS. With that said, it is shocking that there is such a major lack of attempt to communicate to the customer that their rights will be relinquished and insurance is of utmost importance. There is no signage, agreement, nor verbal communication that tells them of these facts.

The only written communication pertaining to any insurance can be found in very tiny print at the bottom of the Staples Customer Receipt given to the customer after payment has been made. Item number 5 states of that list states, “I may elect to pay an additional fee (as specified on this receipt) to add my package to the Staples' parcel insurance. This election is entirely optional, and any fees do not include any markup by, or commission payment to, Staples. This option is offered as part of our UPS Ship Center services and does not provide insurance to you, and you are neither an insured nor an additional insured under Staples' parcel insurance.”

I do admit not reading this until I learned what I would be paid for this lost package, $100 liability and the shipping fee of $53.24. However, this statement to me says that I wouldn't be insured nor be provided insurance so it definitely has me question whether or not I would even have been paid the value of the contents, had I purchased insurance from Staples? It certainly doesn't appear that there is ANY guarantee that I would have been paid for the value!

On April 11, 2018, 9 days after learning the package was lost, I noticed an entirely new problem that opened a fireball of additional questions and confusion as I noticed that UPS' scanning dates & times of the package began 1 day prior to my even going to Staples and the last scan is dated & timed in Albuquerque (I'm in Texas) approximately 1 hour before the package was even paid for. Within 2 hours after I email & phoned the Staples' Claims Department notifying them of this, I received an email from Staples' Claims Department stating that UPS may have found my package and requested me to view the attached pictures then reply confirming that it was mine. I find this coincidence nearly unbelievable! Was my package originally set up for theft, opened and waiting for the claim process to end or was it never searched for? The package was found in the same location as the last scan read, 1 day earlier in Albuquerque.

I did reply that the 3 pictures of 4 unwrapped, unpacked china pieces were of the same brand and type. I requested to know the condition of the package and all of the pieces as at this point I had lost all trust in Staples & UPS and was highly concerned that fraudulent activity had possibly occurred, involving Staples employees & the UPS driver who scanned the package. I was told by Vicki at Staples' Claims Department that she could not verify nor find out the condition of the package, which was very odd to me as UPS had sent pictures of unwrapped contents of the package. She also refused to send me a copy of the email Staples received from UPS pertaining to the found package, which is beyond me why that is considered confidential.

I immediately called UPS and spoke with a supervisor, Colleen Employee ID # ** and she stated that with 100% certainty UPS HAD NOT FOUND THE PACKAGE. I explained in detail & even cried at one point in complete and utter frustration as I clearly do not know what the truth was at this point as Staples claimed UPS found the package, yet UPS claims they have not. I also told her about the incorrect scan dates and times by UPS and gave her the date and time indicated on my Staples payment receipt. She assured me that this was being reported to upper management.

I contacted and spoke with Keith, the store manager of Staples Greenville at the request of Colleen at UPS and he knew absolutely nothing about any of this besides when I last spoke with him on 4/6/2018. He said he would look out for the check and the package and that he would call me to have whatever he received sent to me. I expressed huge concern of the discrepancy of information I was being told, the fact that I suspected fraudulent activity and that I wanted to speak with someone at the corporate office regarding Staples' lack of communication, insurance, my rights being relinquished unbeknownst to me, the inadequacy of collection efforts, refusal to find out the condition of the package and the fact that as far as UPS is concerned the agreement is between UPS and each store individually, whereby edging out the customer/owner of what is shipped entirely.

I was simply crushed, deflated and continued to be in absolute shock that this is a way of business. The customer, using Staples or any other 3rd party, to ship their own product via UPS is left with NO RIGHTS. Additionally, the customer has no possibility of receiving payment for the value unless adequate insurance is purchased & even that is questionable due to item #5 of the Staples Customer Receipt and the fact that UPS doesn't consider the paying customer the shipper, so the customer is at the mercy of Staples' policy & procedure, which certainly NEVER was communicated to me in any way, shape or form during my 2 hours packing my china at Staples! Also, the fact that Staples employees knew the value of what I packed and that the UPS scan dates & times are wrong presents a huge opportunity for theft/fraudulent activity.

At this point, I was left without my china valued at over $2,000, I was left with zero money and actually was thinking I had lost money due to my paying the shipping charge. I was exhausted, frustrated, depressed and in utter disbelief at the sheer number of hours & energy I had put into trying to have someone listen to me and take responsibility for this enormous mess. I'm disgusted that the further I dig and the more questions I ask, I seem to uncover the makings of a complete scam. I cannot imagine that most people this happens to would take the amount of time and energy as I have taken since 4/2/2018 to discover such an ordeal. But there's more...

On April 12, 2018, after being denied via telephone that Staples would not obtain a picture nor description of the found package, I received an email from the Staple Claims Center stating that UPS claims the package does not have any visible damage and that the china would be repacked and put in a new box with a new label for shipping. Since I was assured that there was no damage, I requested that the package be sent to the original recipient, the person who purchased the china from me. I was told that UPS would have a new tracking number available by end of day 4/13/2018. I felt good about this finally, and thought surely nothing would happen to the package after being repacked by UPS. I also felt assured that if something did happen from the Albuquerque UPS delivery point to my customer's home also in Albuquerque that UPS would be held liable since they repacked everything. But they were not!

I contacted Staples yet again, after learning from the recipient that the package was in fact DAMAGED and that many pieces of the china were broken, with a replacement cost of over $700. I gave them a copy of the inventory, the replacement value, shared 95+ pictures the recipient took, and the recipient's phone number. I was told UPS will check out the damaged package and its contents as well as the packing material used to determine a decision.

I was also told via telephone by Diana at the Staples Claim Department that even though UPS repacked the contents of the box that was not broken at the time of repacking, I STILL WILL ONLY RECEIVE THE LIABILITY AMOUNT PLUS THE SHIPPING COST! All since insurance was not purchased. The recipient also told me that she actually heard the UPS driver drop the 60 pound package at her door when it was delivered prior to him ringing her doorbell.

The fact that 1) my rights were relinquished to Staples unbeknownst to me and that they have zero vested interest in fighting for me as the owner of the package contents; 2) Staples did not communicate the absolute importance of buying their insurance, even after the employees knew the value, nor is it stated anywhere that insurance must be purchased in order for the customer to recoup any losses; 3) The Staples Claims Department did nothing to help me since I did not have insurance, not even initiated 1 single phone call. (I was told their department is very small & they do not have sufficient time.); 4) The confusion of line item #5 on the customer receipt pertaining to the customer not being insured; 5) The UPS tracking/scanning device stated pickup of the package was the day prior to my even shipping the package;

6) The package being found in the SAME LOCATION AS LAST SCANNED, 2 hours after my reporting the scanning error to Staples Claims Department; 7) UPS can repack the contents of any package and take zero responsibility for damage that according to their own statement occurred AFTER they repacked the china per Staples emailing me that UPS claimed to see no damage upon finding the package and by Staples telling me via telephone that UPS would repack everything; 8) the UPS delivery driver can handle a package however they want to even though it says fragile all over the box, and UPS will not be held accountable because insurance was not purchased. The recipient heard the 60 pound box drop at her door before the doorbell even rang;

9) Staples has closed this issue and cannot help me further since the initial lost claim has been approved. They have also stated in writing that they will not give me any information pertaining to how I go about beginning an arbitration process as they have also written that I cannot take them to court and that all cases must be handled by arbitration.

10) UPS claims zero responsibility based on their terms located on their website pertaining to shipping with 3rd Party Retailers and the fact that the 3rd Party Retailer, Staples, did not put a declared value on the shipping label means they will not take responsibility for the damage they caused to my package, totaling over $700.

11) Staples claims zero responsibility for their lack of communication pertaining to the importance of insurance and will not even file a damage claim with UPS since the outcome of me only receiving liability of $100 plus the shipping cost, instead of the damaged value of over $700 as the contents of the package was worth over $2,000, would be the same. Staples' own customer receipt is the ONLY form of communication of this and it does not state that insurance is required in order to receive such damages, nor does it state that the shipper's rights will be relinquished to Staples. 12) The Better Business Bureau cannot help me as Staples is not an active member with them so they cannot force Staples to take responsibility. 13) The Attorney General's Office of Texas will not help me, for reasons unknown.

It is nearly inconceivable that none of the above was ever explained to me as customer paying for UPS to ship my package. It is indescribably mind blowing that a package of this one's sheer size and 60 pound weight went missing. It is incredibly disheartening to know that I have had to fight tooth and nail to be heard as the owner of this package and that the more I demanded answers, the more I uncovered, and the confusion intensified. I have collected enough information that I am at this point left to assume fraud, theft and at the very minimum a system that creates an opportunity for fraud & theft to occur.

So please, assist me in my efforts to change this system. I am not the only one this has happened to and there are tons of complaints online regarding the frustration and lost customers have had to face as a result of this process. What happened to the customer is always right? What happened to the paying customer's rights? What happened to taking responsibility and correcting a problem clearly existing by the sheer number of complaints?

This has been an emotionally upsetting last few weeks, to say the least. The number of hours I have given to get help is outrageous. I have done everything I can do to have UPS search for the package and I even at one point begged the Staples Claims Department to help me, to represent me, to fight for me. They held all the rights with UPS. Through the hours and hours of trying to fight for my rights, trying to seek understanding of a process that I've learned edges the customer out, and that no one is yet held responsible for, I'm at my wits end.

I can only hope that as I continue to share my story which is the story of so many others, that systems are changed so that not one more customer has to go through this again. Ample communication presented in multiple ways would enable each customer understand the process, their rights and their risks so that they can make the right choice for them. I will continue to send this summary to entities that may be able to help, because again, all of this could have been alleviated. Thank you very much for your time in reviewing this case.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I receive email coupons from Staples but when I try to use them there almost always is a problem. Today the coupon was for “15% off your ink purchase of $75 or more” and showed a photo of a box of HP ink. However the coupon was rejected when I tried to purchase HP ink. Buried in the fine print was exclusion of ink from the three main printer companies including HP. This is clearly deceptive advertising and just plain bad business!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I own a business and they do not have a transaction statement online. You have to go in the store to get a duplicate receipt? No way to track your purchases. Very bad business. I need to be able to download yearly reports of transactions. Dumb dumb.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been a customer of Staples for over 10 years, my review is not about the actual store, is about the very unprofessional General manager Jenn... I'm very disappointed about the way I was treated by her at the Staples located in New London Connecticut today, I have never felt so discriminated against, accused and offended like I felt after she made such disgusting comments. All because I lost my receipt. I can't believe a general manager would talk to me that way in front other customers, completely unacceptable.

I went to the store to return a pack of W2 forms that I bought for my employees but that I didn't need any more, the pack was in good condition, never opened, when I arrived I told the cashier that I had lost my receipt, he asked me if I remember if it was paid in cash or with a card, I told him that was about 20 days ago and I was not sure. He checked under my debit card and my rewards card and told me that per his manager I can't return it since they can't find the transaction, I asked if I could just get store credit and he said that his manager say no. I left the store and I was in my car checking the Staples return policy, it states that without a receipt, I could get a store credit, so I walk back to the store and asked to talk to the manager, the cashier told me that she was on phone but that she will be out soon.

When she came out I informed her that I was reading the return policy and according to the policy I could request to have a store credit, she told me that the item could be a stolen item from the store and basically implied that I was trying to get the money and that those forms are expensive, she was accusing me of stealing! Again all because I didn't have the receipt with me and they were not able to locate the transaction the first time, I told her that her comments were very inappropriate, I told her that I have a Job and I own a local restaurant, I don't have the need or that mentality to steal, she walked away then returned asking me if I remember the date of the purchase and walk away again,

I was very upset, I told her that if she was not able to find the cash transaction, I'm sure that was under the card... finally she took the card and she found my purchase, returned my money with a very bad attitude and not once apologized or said sorry for the my uncomfortable experience. People like her should look for another job, she doesn't know anything about proper customer service or manners.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I received an email from PC World Deals (which is now basically and advertising platform) with a specific deal for a laser printer at Staples. The price was a third of the next best one. I get to the page, the price was right and when clicking on add to my cart the screen turned grey. Right away a chat window opens asking what kind of printer do I need. I replied, "I need a printer I can add to my cart." They replied that the printer is out of stock. I just received that email 2 minutes ago and that printer is not showing out of stock. They claim that this printer was advertised Sunday and that they are not associated with third parties. BS.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had 28 pages to have print. The girl in that department said it would be done by 1 pm. At 1 she had just started the job and when I said, "You told me it would be done by 1." Her response was to tell me that wasn't what she said and continue to be rude. I left. Came back 20 minutes later. She still wasn't done. She also said she wouldn't print the family group sheets from Ancestry. I told her she could make a copy but if she didn't want to print them I would take those somewhere else.

She hands my folder to me with sheets loose and said, "There you go." I said, "What do I owe you" and she replied, "Nothing. You said you was taking it elsewhere." She didn't even allow me to pay for the sheets she did copy. She didn't give me the copies. She said, "You do know what a copyright law is and you can't print them anywhere." That young lady said several rude and condescending things to an older lady. The company should address her behavior. 4 hours later and Staples couldn't get the job done.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Staples online service is non-existent. Their credit charge is 29% and they have a $2.00 minimum payment if interest is lower. I had a $35.00 balance making the min $2.00 equal to paying 60% annual interest. I only dealt with them for 3 payments a closed my account. Even closing the account was difficult. I first called customer service and I kid you not I had a sales recording to buy a one of those emergency buttons if you fall. The recording said if you don't want more info press #. I pressed # and got another sales pitch for a hearing aid. I went through 7 ads before hanging up. They don't even have a billing source on their home page. I had to search it down. Various phone calls to Staples revealed they have different answering services of which there is no uniformity. I went through 3 idiots before finding another number that could help. My original purchase was for the EPSON XP830.

Staples Company Information