1.27/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

701 Staples Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My company bought office supplies from Staples for over 20 years. Occasionally we needed to return an item. We did not make sure if we got the refunds. In Aug. 2018 we bought an ink cartridge that was not compatible with our copying machine. Staples clerk told us to sent it back via UPS. We sent it back 4 days after we bought it without opening it. UPS took it and gave us a receipt. We tried to remember checking for refunds but did not until today, over 3 months later. The money was never refunded. We called the store. They told us to bring the UPS receipt and Staples receipt to the store to get help. We took pictures of our credit card statements to show the Staples charge and nowhere showed the refund. This makes me suspect how many times in the 20+ years Staples did not refund us for our returns. A customer should not have to worry about whether he/she will get the refund from a returned item. Who has the time to follow something like this?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased a download the end of December for a desktop QuickBooks wanting to move to automated accounting in my small business. After spending 2 days and having 3 very poor conversations with QB team, it was clear that this was a garbage product that requires turning on services driving the cost up to over $1,000/year to record payment to my 1 employee. So I called Staples and they quickly said "downloads have a no-refund policy - see the terms and conditions." I asked to talk with a manager who left me a voice mail just reiterating their policy. So I am stuck with 1 $150 fee to them for a garbage product that I have removed from my computer. They won't stand behind their customers... They would rather stand behind their vendors, so I am done ordering anything online from Staples!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have been trying to talk to my customer service account rep for 2 weeks. We keep getting billed for stuff already paid, was told Staples does not do monthly billing - have been trying to set up account on our company credit card for 2 weeks - no response to email or to calls!!! Terrible Customer service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Ordered a printer online. Confirmation prints - says it will be delivered next day. Next day, no delivery but an email explaining delivery delayed. "Please call this number for any questions." The "customer service" rep - and I use the term loosely - tells me it may have been put on wrong truck. Should be delivered tomorrow. Someone is looking into it. Story #1. Someone will call by 5 and confirm. Of course, no-one calls. I called the next day and was told that basically, "that is a line we tell everyone. It really isn't true. " NICE! And then I am told that the printer I wanted was OUT OF STOCK. Doesn't have any indication of that on website.

I am offered what turns out to be a LESS EXPENSIVE printer at the same price. Let's see - I ordered a $129 printer and you want to send me a $89 printer for my original purchase price? That is rip off TWO. I said no, cancel order. Two minutes later, STAPLES calls me back and tells me that the manufacturer has discontinued the original printer. Why, then, is it still on their website??? And why does the story change every time you ask? This is "bait and switch" tactics and is UNETHICAL and possibly ILLEGAL.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

On 1/8/2019, I went to Staples at the location of 2957 Festival Way Suite 123, Waldorf, MD 20601. I went to the Copy Center as I needed to fax a document that was 34 pages and receive a confirmation. I was told to use a particular machine to receive a confirmation. I was shown how to use the machine and entered my credit card and proceeded to enter in the fax number. I inserted the document into the feeder and waited. I waited and waited and waited for the fax to finish going thru. I waited for approximately 30-45 minutes before an Associate named ** came to assist. He informed me that the machine may be frozen as it has done so before and that he could fax it for me behind the counter. I agreed.

He opened the machine that I was using to “reset” it. He then proceeded to take my document behind the counter to fax. I could hear the machine dial the number but only to hear a busy signal. This went on for about 10-15 minutes before ** approached me again to ask if I had an email for the recipient. I informed him that I do not. He asked me if I had a telephone number. I told him I do not because it was a business and they closed at 2 pm. ** went on to inform me that maybe the fax machine was off after business hours and that he could try again if I would like. I informed him that it was not necessary, I would try again later. Because I felt it urgent to send the fax, I signed up for eFax and sent it twice from my home.

On 1/12/2019, I checked my credit card statement and saw a charge from Staples for $82.53. I went to the location and spoke with ** by recalling the incident on 1/8/2019. He stated he remembered and called for a manager. The IT person came to speak to me before he realized that it was a fax issue and sent **, Print & Marketing Supervisor, to speak with me. I provided him with the same incident and requested a refund. He then asked me for a confirmation that the company did not receive it. I stated that I could not as I do not have a telephone number for them nor email.

He then proceeded to tell me that the fax went thru and that he was not going to issue me a refund. He stated that machine “freezes” on a lot of customers. At this point, I told him that I did not care about the other customers and that if it froze and the machine was reset, I should not have been charged as I was informed that the fax was cancelled. I went on to explain to him that the purpose of me using the machine or allowing ** to fax was because I needed a confirmation right then but was informed by ** that it did not go thru as he had to reset the machine. Even though I asked ** to confirm with ** regarding the situation, he stated that he would not. I asked for his name, and he provided me with his card and the Sales Associate ** card, and I left.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Have been a Staples customer for years and spent thousands of dollars with their company. Ordered around $300 (3 separate orders) in ink using their coupon for 25% in rewards dollars on an order of $75 or more. After contacting their customer service MULTIPLE times and spending probably 2-3 hours on the phone, I have been told that it was an online order and did not qualify. I am so tired of "tricks" and poor customer service. Staples -- I am sorry to say that you have just lost a loyal customer -- and I will spread the word too!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

After several days of non-delivery of a previously paid order, Staples Customer Service refused to follow their procedure for getting tracking information. Worse, they stated the link they provided would not work unless the filed the paperwork- so I could not track it myself. The 2 supervisors I spoke to were rude, belligerent and refused to file the necessary paperwork to enable tracking. I am left with no merchandise and only guesswork at to when it will arrive- if it does. Buyer beware!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Again I had to call because the $25 coupon towards a $75 online purchase didn’t work. Waited for 30 minutes and still no one picked up. Last time this happened I was told sometimes the coupon codes don’t work. Really? Can’t do it anymore Staples. You lost me.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Staples charged for earphone more than it showing in the Bose website. How cheap this guys are. Never ever go to Staples and buy anything. Cheating people. Giving $40 discount still it was $50 more than the official website price. Everyone knows reviews never make any difference in the store because they never value customers. Please guys stay away from Staples.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I ordered some items to be shipped to the Saugus store next day. I needed these items for a job and they were expensive. The next day I received an email from FedEx stating that they had a delay and couldn't deliver it until 5 days from when I ordered it. I called the store and asked them about my refund. They told me it would be refunded in 24 hours. Now it has been 6 days since I placed my order and my refund is still not available. I called customer support and explained it to a rep and then to her manager adding that it is Christmas week and I am on disability and I desperately need my money back and they refused to help me. I will never again shop at any Staples. They suck!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I went in to buy a computer. I was told everyone but the cashier was on break. I asked to talk to a manager. She was friendly. She sold me a computer in the box. No upgrades offered. Then left. The cashier sold me a warranty he read from a brochure. I am not sure what it was. He had just started working for Staples.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Our company has been a loyal client for the past 12 years. 98% of all office supply needs are fulfilled accurately and arrive on time. Their automated system keeps staying up with the demands of quality and value. We have only had a few items that were delivered to us that we never ordered. Their chat option provides a quick resolution.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I recently bought some DVD cases from the Hurstbourne Lane store. When I got home my husband said they wouldn't work because they were tinted. So I called the store and asked if they had them in clear and at the same price. The lady said yes. When I got to the store to exchange them the price for the clear ones was almost 3 times as much as the ones I was returning. I told the manager that I was told they were the same price. He was very nice and agreed to change the price of the clear ones. When I got them home we realized the clear ones were much better than the ones I had exchanged so I understand why they were so much more. I was really impressed with the manager who wanted to make his customer happy. I will continue to shop there.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have had nothing but problems ordering anything from Staples. Table came after 3 different delivery dates given, with a piece missing, told it would be ordered, 10 days nothing. I called and then got an email saying I can return the table and pay a restocking fee and reorder. Chairs ordered. 3 different delivery days noted. Chairs finally arrive and one is missing. Asked for another chair to be sent to a local store for pickup and I got an email that chair is delivered elsewhere but it never showed up. Nope. It is now at the local store. I placed an order online for store pickup and your website keeps changing the store pickup location to Manhattan. I live in upstate near Albany NY. I canceled the order and try to reorder. Nope. Coupon has been used. I can't use it again. Now you hold my money for 72 hrs so now I can't place another order. Staples you are not worth the aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Beware when making a return without a receipt that you will be treated rudely and you may or may not be refunded or credited upon the whim or mood of the "management". If they do issue you a store credit it will be at a very, very low store price even though the actual purchase price is much higher. The amount of money is not incidental. It's a lot. It is an unreasonable policy. They are profiting by ripping you off.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Planned to get a computer monitor around Black Friday. Looked through all deals around from different stores and finally decided to get a monitor from Staples. Placed order and got the order confirmed on Nov 25, 2018. A couple days later received an email from Staples says "We’re very sorry, but item 2720259 HP HP27SC1 27 Curved LED Monitor was no longer in stock when we were processing your Staples order number." Called the customer service, and the answer I got is very straight, 'We confirmed your order, and your order was out of stock so we cancelled it. We are not going to charge you for the item'. Didn't enjoy the confirmation and cancellation experience, wasted my time, missed other good promotional deals, not a good pleasant experience at all.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

There seems to be a pattern here based on the other reviews I see. I saw a computer chair at the local store for $99 that I wanted. Went online, found the same chair and ordered it. In a few minutes the order was cancelled because the product was "Out of Stock". I went back to the store and the chair was now $129. A nice store manager told me they would honor the price. I went through half hour of her fiddling with the computer until the order was placed again. My credit card was charged and I was pleased with the service.

You guessed it! When I got back home the second order had been cancelled again with some excuse like, "Unable to Fulfill the order". Went to Amazon.com and found the SAME product for $88. I mean folks, this isn't the chair for the queen of England here! Returned to the store to make sure that I would get a refund for my purchase. I was assured that this would be done quickly. It is now five days later and I have yet to get a credit on my credit card. I am honestly trying to support businesses other than Amazon but they sure make it hard sometimes.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Beware of Black Friday sales. Placed order on Black Friday for an iPad 9.7. No sign of the product a week after the expected delivery date... Went to a local Staples store to inquire and was told that the order I placed was cancelled due to unavailable stock, and will need to call their customer service number to re-order if I want the same price to be honored.

When I called the customer service number, I was told there is NO iPad in stock in stores or online at ANY of their Canadian stores (I didn’t ask about states)... I find this extremely hard to believe. And even if this was true, any other business would have offered to call the customer once product is resupplied and to deliver the product at the price of the original order... However I was told my order has already been cancelled... Without my consent. And I would have to call their customer service periodically every week to see if the product is available. And when I asked whether my original price would be honored, I was told “You can try to ask.” I was also told some excuses about the product at the reduced price advertised online was a demo product or a returned product?! Staples was selling demo or returned products for their sales items?!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have order during Black Friday and get mail on Tuesday that my order is cancelled. While I call them they said my mobile number is not matching with my address. I offered to share document for my billing address but they denied and asked me to order again with higher price. Due to Staples I have lost other website Black Friday deal. Will never purchase anything again from Staples.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I ordered my first rice cooker online on 11/24/2018 and Staples took my money and said they were processing the order. On 11/26/2018 they emailed me and said the rice cooker was not available - it took them two days to realize they didn't have the item? I had a $25 off $50 coupon for signing up with my business and Staples split the coupon into two because I ordered two items, so guess who didn't get full credit for the $25 when the second item wasn't in stock? I called Staples and was promised the remaining money, but that never happened.

I reordered another rice cooker on the phone on 11/26/2018. I received the confirmation and once again I saw the pending removal of money from my credit card. I was then told to contact Staples or my item would be removed. I emailed them and said, "Why do I have to contact you, is this item not in stock either." I received a response saying the order was being processed and not to worry. Well, lo and behold I just received another email on 11/28/2018 saying that item was available! DON'T SHOP HERE FOR YOUR CHRISTMAS GIFTS! Don't waste your time at this store. This is the last time I will ever shop at Staples. Now that Staples wasted my time and I could have purchased elsewhere for the Black Friday specials I can't because they are over.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Updated on 11/29/2018: This is further to review I submitted earlier. Interesting to note the following email from Staples in response to my email. "Thank you for contacting Staples. I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Our promotional offers are while supplies last. The sale for these USB flash drives was from Sunday, 11/25, until Monday, 11/26. The sale has now over and the price cannot be honored. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you." PLEASE BE AWARE. YOUR ORDER CAN BE REJECTED ANY TIME SAYING "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST". This is ridiculous in my opinion.

Original Review: I placed order on Cyber Monday for 4x32GB USB flash drives for $28. Received order confirmation and then next day saying items not available. Staples.com does show items available in 5 Staples stores in 20 miles radius. The 1-800 customer service is pathetic. They ask me to place another order which now will be $160 instead of $28. If asked to send email their systems do not work at all. One experience is shattered whatever good opinion I had on Staples in the last 20 years.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered a Laptop, software and cable from Staples on 11/23/2018 (Black Friday). Thought I was getting a good price and was promised delivery on 11/26. Never happened. After two days and well over 60 minutes on chat and phone, I now learn that delivery will be 12/10. I cancelled the order but I am getting the runaround concerning how to get a refund because one of the items was downloadable software that I never downloaded. But burden of proof seems to be on me. And on top of it all, I missed the opportunity to get a good price on 11/26, Cyber Monday, from somewhere else because I was stupid enough to believe their commitment meant something. Thanks Staples, you just cost me hundreds of dollars.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I ordered a laptop on 11/23 and it was fast and they took my credit card transaction. Delivery was set for today, 11/26. I called to see if they could deliver to a store for pick up and they said sure. They called back and said it cannot be done. I said, "Fine. I will have it continue to be delivered and will sign the release to have it left at my door." 3 hours later and what a mess. They canceled the order then called and said they did not cancel. Then the Ontrac carrier called and said it will be delivered. Then Ontrac called an hour later to say it is being returned to Staples. I called Staples and they said I would have to pay full price to cancel the order as it is no longer on sale.

Seriously. They screwed up and now it's my problem. Then I called Ontrac and they said it would be delivered. Then I called corporate to complain and they said they cannot just have it delivered and it will need to come back to them and I need to reorder it? Between these conversations they kept saying it would be delivered. I am on an emotional roller coaster ride and they don't care. It seemed to me that they don't want to give me the computer for the Black Friday deal. Seems like bait and switch and false advertisement. I am going to file a complaint as I needed this laptop for business.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased some items online yesterday, all reported as available within store and were supposed to have been ready the next day (their claim is to "Have online orders ready for pickup within an hour"). I went in today (Friday) and was told that they didn't have the items and that I'd have to wait a week for my order.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have been a loyal customer of Staples in Latham, New York, but things changed when I purchased a new tablet. I asked the technician if he would transfer my files from my old PC to my new tablet. He said he would, but he kept giving me excuses for not having it ready. I finally went to the store and asked for my new tablet and old computer back. He said that he could not find the old computer. I told him that I wanted the old computer saved. I called customer service, but the only thing they offered me was free identity theft protection. However the link never worked so I asked them if they would send me some money for my trouble. They refused. I plan not to return to that store for anything.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Have purchased from STAPLES over the years, the other day placed an online order to be picked up at the Staples near me. Order went through, then came the many emails, where I had to make several phone calls to clarify an email. Am finding many of these “employees” are college students, mentally challenged people, and on and on. When everything was a GO, I proceeded to pick up my order. That is when the TROUBLE began. The Manager said I was “HARASSING” his employees and threatened to have me arrested if I go there again. When I asked a girl to bag my purchase she got so mad, she knocked over a display and of course the Manager accused me.

He is a JERK, the employees do not know what they are talking about, lie, steal, identity theft, impersonization, fraud on my credit cards, hate crimes, gossipy people. We are the customers, the employees are SERVICE people, they do not have to like us, just DO THEIR JOBS, WHAT THEY ARE BEING PAID FOR. Does everyone like everyone, NO, not in this world. We, the customers, do not have to listen to everyone’s sob story, that is why there are counselors for the rich and the poor. I WILL NOT do business with Staples going forward. Staples should read their reviews, what an amateurish business. I always say, NO CUSTOMERS, NO BUSINESS.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I recently bought a drone at Staples. It was non-functional from the time I took it out of the box. I tried to return it today, and was told by a very rude employee that they do not take back drones, and that I should have read the back of my receipt. She told me that I had to call the manufacturer (in Korea). I came home and called the manufacturer's toll-free number, and was met with the following message. "This number is no longer in service." Do NOT buy drones (or anything for that matter) at Staples. I'm going to take my complaint to a higher authority (consumer advocate), as there is no recourse whatsoever! Can't return it and can't have it fixed by the manufacturer! You buy it, you're stuck with it. Again, do NOT buy drones at Staples.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I ordered a chair 3 weeks ago from staples.de. When I opened the package I saw that the chair was broken. I sent them directly and after that two emails and made a phone call but they were just ignorant. Nothing worse from a company that takes its customers seriously. Now I have a broken chair and no money to buy another one. Never again!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I went to the Staples in Brighton Michigan to pick up some brochures we had ordered to be printed on Nov 2, 2018 around 6:30 pm and received the best customer service by an employee named Miles that I have ever received ANYWHERE in ANY STORE I HAVE EVER BEEN A CUSTOMER IN! We had ordered the wrong type of paper to be printed on and Miles very eagerly, patiently, kindly and with a great smile went out of his way to offer to redo them for us on paper that would fold our brochures better. I didn't have to ask, he OFFERED and then offered to fold them as well. I was so impressed by this young man's care that I will always ask for him when doing business with Staples again in the future! Thank you Miles for making my night go so much smoother. We need more people like you in this world!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Placed order online but it was delivered to wrong address. Been over a week of calling and chatting. Each time being told reorder sent. I have contacted them over 10 times. Always told new order is out for delivery or to give it 24 hrs and they will notify me. Given fake tracking number and they can't even say which carrier is bringing it. Pretty much assume money is gone. Will never buy from Staples again.

Staples Company Information