1.09/5
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Staples

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

634 Staples Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Our office was visited by two Staples employees: Area Sales Manager and Sales Manager. They were both attentive and friendly. The Area Sales Manager seemed to be helping a new Sales Manager get his feet under him. They left with the promise that we would provide information on our general ordering and costs and the Sales Manager would be back in touch to show us how he could beat our current supplier's pricing and service. He was extremely intense and his follow-up was overly involved. He called several times, wrote a thank-you note showing a too-personal interest and used his home address as the return contact.

When he said "I will stop by to pick up your paperwork," I offered to scan it to him by e-mail and he insisted he was not far away. Was in my office in less than 5 minutes. He was thorough but so intense and personal that it was more than uncomfortable. When our office decided that our current supplier was a better deal, and I had to break the news to him, he responded in an angry manner that left me looking over my shoulder. This is a DANGEROUS person to let into your office. I'm afraid to use my real contact information.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I ordered a Garmin TruSwing golf sensor on Boxing Day (Dec 26) because it was on sale, and they promised being it delivered by Jan 8. I am still waiting and the status of the order is "being processed". I have contacted customer service -- a very rude person by the way -- and they told me it comes from a vendor they have to wait for a few more days. I was offered a refund but I don't want the 129 I paid, just because it's 200 on the market now -- they refuse to give me that amount, nor I am getting the product so far. I could have bought it somewhere else at the same price. I am extremely disappointed with Staples. I am not going to do business with them again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

November 3rd I ordered an Xbox One online and was charged that day. I received the Xbox in a few days. November 10th there was a correction on my debit visa though I was not sure what this was from at that time. Mid November the Xbox went on sale for $69 cheaper. I went into the store for a price match or to return and rebuy the item. The store could not find any info in their system as if the order was never made. They called the online number and they couldn't find anything. They told me to wait till the order/charge was fixed and then call back for the price match. Mid December I received an email saying the item I ordered is not in stock. Dec. 31st my debit/visa was charged for the Xbox without warning. I then called the 1800 number to get the price match. I explained the situation and was told too bad the sale is over and they would not give me the price match.

I called back and asked to talk to a supervisor or manager and was refused. I just spent $360 on this Xbox and then $1400 on a laptop, I shop with them all the time you would think they would want to keep good customers. 1st- They should have given me the price match as it was their system error that caused the problem. 2nd- It was as if the error wasn't fixed till it was too late to get the price match on purpose. 3rd- There should be a time limit in which a company had to fix the charge for online shopping and after a certain period it shouldn't be allowed. If there is already I can't find the info for it. I've emailed Staples today explaining the entire scenario. I hope they will work this out with me or I will not be shopping with them again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Ordered a office chair for my husband. Waited 9 days for it after being promised it 4 different delivery dates. Called every day on it and always got told something different. After waiting 9 days decided to cancel the order and take my business somewhere else. Will never do business with Staples again. Their next day delivery is a TOTAL lie!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Told store would honor sale price posted on the shelf. Manager took all of my information and when he rang me up at register, tried to force me to pay regular price even after he promised to honor sale. I have nothing but problems with this chain. Staples make customers feel like they've done something wrong by expecting to pay advertised prices! Call customer service and the rep said they would lose money by giving me the advertised sale price! LOL… My items were like $80.00. After 2.5 hrs of my day wasted, came away with nothing. I have photos of the sale price on shelf, which has since been removed. This is the LAST time I will shop here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Staples is advertising the “Prepaid Visa REBATE’ again. DON’T FALL FOR IT. I fell for it last June 2016. I paid the extra for the box of printer paper figuring it sound like a good deal. Because I would receive a $39 Rebate within 4 to 6 weeks. This is a SCAM!!! When I first called after 10 weeks and no Rebate, I was told it was mailed and used already. Absolutely NOT true. After 6 months of phone calls and even their required signed and notarized affidavit that I didn’t receive it, in August 2016, I continued to get excuses. Then in November I received a letter saying I would finally receive it in 10 business days. haha Guess what - still NOTHING!!! I researched the STAPLES Rebate on the internet and read many comments that they run this huge SCAM and it's been going on for several years!!! There was even a Class Action against them and they are still at it!!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I made contact with this particular store in San Marcos, CA. They were wonderful until they found out I was a person of color by the photo on my business cards I was having made. The manager and the woman who answer the phone talked to me like trash. They promise to have your business cards ready by 8:30 p.m. the same day if your order is in by 2:00 p.m. the same day. My order was in closed to 9:00 a.m.

They claim they have a problem with the file and have others they need to take care of before me. Shouldn't they be taking them in order? I used the same file with Town and Country and never had a problem. The only problem the manager and phone reception NASTY have is with my skin color. BOYCOTT them if you are a person of color and see if their perspective and customer service behaviors improve.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

On 12/15/2017, I placed an online order for in store pick-up in 1 hour. In 1 hr I received notice it was now not available, so I wanted to pick the item up at another store. They cancelled first order & placed order with other location. Said it was not possible to change pick-up location. I was informed that the $171.00 hold put on my debit for the cancelled order would not be available for 7 to 10 days and wanted to charge me another $171.00. I think these people are stupid and lazy. Even the supervisor I spoke with lazy and rude.

I have a merchant account and I know they should have requested the authorization hold on my account be cancelled, but no that would be too much work for these idiots. Told they didn’t know if they could that. I will never patronize Staples again. The supervisor, Toni told me she would send me a $5 off coupon, even though she wasn’t supposed too. I guess she really has the Christmas spirit. That $5 really makes up for not being able use my money for 7 days.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I ordered Dell XPS 13.3 from Staples at $949 on Thanksgiving and the product title was as follows: Dell XPS 13 133 inch QHD 3200 x 1800 i78550U 16GB 512GB PCIe SSD Intel HD Graphics 45 W 60 WHr battery. Instead of Dell XPS they delivered Dell Inspiron with the below configuration. Dell Inspiron 15 5000, 15.6-inch Fhd (1920 X 1080), I7-8550u, 12gb, 128gb (SSD), Intel Uhd Graphics 620, 45 W, 42whr Battery.

When I asked them that the item delivered is not XPS they mentioned that website had typographical error. Now what failed to understand is that typographical error should be like wrong weight or size but how come the whole model and configuration can be wrong.They took almost 15 days for the delivery and what they delivered is absolutely wrong model and not ready to give the product they mentioned on their website while placing order. Due to their mistake I missed all the good laptop deals available during Thanksgiving and now I need to pay more price to get the laptop with desired configuration. Utterly frustrating and will not recommend anybody to purchase from Staples.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I ordered HP laptop for $499 from Staples on 11-23-2017 as a Black Friday deal. I got order confirmation email. It said in bold capital letters "PICK UP IN STORE" and pick up on Friday. It did not even say wait for confirmation email to pick up in store. They advertised as "purchase online during Thanksgiving and pick up anytime Friday in store". Since I got order confirmation, I did not explore any other doorbuster deals from other dealers. I went to pick up my laptop on Friday (11-24-17) morning 8:00 am and to my surprise the so called store manager said "your order is cancelled as we don't have that laptop in stock". There were two managers, both think that we customers are surviving because of them.

They were so unprofessional and impolite. I am surprised nobody in Staples is responsible for this. It looks like it is well planned scam to attract customers to the store. I called 800-338-0252. It seems this is their president's office number. I got this number during online chat. After listening to my concern the person who received my call shamelessly telling me that they did not ask me not to explore other doorbuster deals. My question is why should I order one more laptop from other deals when I already purchased online from Staples. I have decided not to purchase anything from Staples even if they offer 10 times lower price than other dealers. Never ever. I am also looking for options to complain to some authorities. I don't want Staples to do this kind of cheating and fooling customers in the future to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Heights of poor customer service. I booked an order for laptop on 11-23-2017 at 3:19 AM for 1 hour store pickup, I received an email for the order confirmation, when I went to the store for pickup after two days, they were saying, "Your order has been canceled, money will be refund to your account" WITHOUT ANY EMAIL CONFIRMATION PRIOR ABOUT ORDER CANCELLATION, I waited for 3 days for the order and they hold my money for 5 days, I ordered my laptop in an emergency situation, as my other laptop was break down and I found good offer.

Now when I speak to one of customer care executive they said, "We cannot do anything other than waiting for the money get refunded to your account" or you said wait for the notification until product get into in stock. “This means that they are giving an offer for waiting another 1 week to get notified, even that is not sure whether they can send the product”. This is the quality of service I faced after waiting 5 days, they gave me bonus by holding my money as well wasted my valuable 7 days. Still nothing was done till now. I strongly recommend not to follow any online products from Staples.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I purchased a desktop printer in September while trying to secure a location for a new business. We were unsuccessful in finding a location until the first week of November. Upon securing the new location we decided that we did not require the printer that was purchased. I tried to return the printer 11-24-17 and was refused the return due to Staples 15 day return policy. The printer has never been opened and this is just plain robbery! I can understand that the receipt was stamped w/ the return policy about technology returns of 15 days.

I did not consider the printer as "technology", it's a printer. And if the box had been opened I can understand not accepting it as a return. If someone buys an item while trying to accessorize their business in order to be ready to open that business when it all falls in place and then realizes they do not need this item, why should they be robbed of their hard earned money because a large retailer who makes much more money refuses an un-opened item? This is why the public is shopping at COSTCO! My years of purchasing from Staples is over! I will never shop there again and will discourage everyone I know to boycott them as well. This is a terrible policy and should be revised!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Staples easy rebates are just the opposite of easy. The rebate program is basically a fraudulent method of overcharging for products and not giving the rebates as advertised. Staples sent a rebate to me in the form of a debit card, but the debit card cannot be activated. There is absolutely no help by phone or internet as to activating the debit card, as Staples does not want to honor the rebate. If it is advertised as “easy” and it is not, then this is most definitely fraud. My only hope is that by refusing to shop at Staples, it will help to quickly put them out of business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

First let me say I will never make another purchase through Staples again! I have been shopping at Staples for over 10 years, when I went into the store to return the keyboard I never expected to be treated the way I was treated last night (9-14-2017). First the keyboard was purchased less than 2 weeks prior, clerk at Staples sold me a 2 year warranty and I drilled him about it, "Can I bring it back to this store if I need to return it?" I was told yes. "Ok then great, I'll buy the warranty." I kid you not, less than 2 weeks later and the keys were falling off - so I brought it back. The Manager didn't even try to help me, treated me like dirt in front my son and I lost it - I threw the receipt and warranty at him and told him to keep his trash and told him that he lost a valued customer! I will NEVER buy from Staples again!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have been going to the East Norriton Staples for 1 year & during any order I have placed Monday through Friday the staff has been absolutely amazing and helpful but EVERY time I have placed an order on the weekend with SAM there were ALWAYS mistakes, delays & excuses. Today is where I drew the line. Not only were they dismissive & unwilling to help, having me on hold for 16 mins 43 sec to check an order emailed, they were rude & unrepresentative of the quality service Staples assures customers will receive. When asked to speak to the manager, Mike, he was even more dismissive & had the audacity to reprimand me & the quality service I had received from the Monday thru Friday staff for the past year.

When I asked for the corporate # he said he didn't have it. When I questioned why as a manager he does not have the number for corporate he then proceeded to tell me to place an order at Staples.com & quickly spewed the 800 # to customer service. I call customer service & the young lady was very apologetic & took my complaint. When asked about the print & marketing policies she transferred me to customer service there where now Bridget adds to the problem of not receiving quality customer service.

After explaining the situation she told me the policy but went on & on after every question I asked about "why if a policy is in place would they have me go about my orders for the past year this way?" Continuously her response was, "I have no control over what that store does." True fact but... Is this how Staples train their reps? If a family member asked why a nurse didn't take care of their parent how well would they respond to me saying, "I dunno. I have no control over what she does." Shame on Staples! I'm trying to handle all of this from a hospital bed on my cell phone and NO ONE, at any point I mentioned that fact, wanted to provide any further assistance.

When I asked Bridget could she assist me her response was, "I don't know what to tell you. You have to go on the site." WOW! This has DEFINITELY caused me to look elsewhere for office supplies & print & marketing requests. It only takes one success story of discounted pricing and willingness for competition to do it better before other Sunrises may follow suit. Horrible experience, customer service & representation on this Day from the people I named! I plan to let EVERYONE know of this experience today! You have managed to elevate my stress of what is already a stressful situation & elevate my blood pressure! I feel horrible for the bad review because of the GREAT SERVICE TIM & WALT HAVE ALWAYS PROVIDED. Because this day Mike, Sam & Bridget changed everything that has happened and made this one of my WORST top 5 customer service experiences in almost 40 years.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I purchased a computer desk, Whalen Astoria with glass top, and matching file cabinet at the Staples website on 8/21/17. They were shipped on two separate days. The cabinet was received on 8/22/17 in perfect condition and works fine. The desk however, arrived on 8/25/17. The glass top was a bag full of small crumbled glass pieces. I never opened the bag and made arrangements for the return and exchange. I was told UPS would pick up the desk at the house, that they would have all of the shipping information, and that a new desk would be shipped. Expected delivery date was 9/1/17. The desk was picked up by UPS on 8/30/17. Thankfully the UPS driver told me to retain his small receipt as it would be the only proof that they picked it up. After pickup, the Staples website shows that the return has been cancelled.

The UPS tracking shows that the desk has been received by the vendor. September 1 has come and I still have no tracking number with UPS, so I call Staples. They tell me that the desk should be delivered by 5:00pm. The desk never shows up. September 2 when I wake up, I check the Staples website and the desk now has a schedule delivery of 9/6/17. Customer service told me that she could not cancel the order as it has been moved to a processing status. I asked for a tracking number again, and this time I was provided one. The tracking number was processed on 8/31/17, so all earlier shipping information was a bunch of bunk. I will see if I receive by 9/6. I am totally finished dealing with Staples. I now know why they shut down all of their brick and mortar stores near me (Chicago burbs). Their management is really screwed up.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I purchased a Kindle at the Medford, LI Staples location a few years ago. The salesperson/cashier recommended a "Protection Plan" for $50 which was a "no brainer" due to the fact that if you did not file a claim in the 2 years, you could get your $50 refunded. The one piece of info they neglected to inform me of, was that there was a 30-day window to receive this refund. Amazing that this important fact was overlooked. I called today to request my refund. They asked if I read the 20 page, finely printed contract and the Sales Mgr on the phone, Runel, had absolutely no sympathy and said there was nothing that could be done. I informed him that I would no longer be shopping at Staples, and will be going to Best Buy. He could care less. I'm sure this very poor customer service is a reflection of their stock price. Staples $10.22 vs Best Buy $54.48!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

This store, (Tarpon Bay, Naples, FL) has proven to me twice that they are a total waste of time when it comes to the printing department. They will tell you half the facts on the phone, then when you get there you find out differently. They have no customer service skills whatsoever. They will hire anybody in this store. In the end after keeping my project for several hours, which I need for Saturday, they told me they can't do it. The manager said, "I am calling you back because I said I would, but I can't do anything for you." Calling me back because he said he would??? No wonder the staff have no customer service skills, if the manager does not. I will never set foot in this store again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I needed to fax 23 pages and the lady behind the counter would not come out and help me get started. She just pointed and said I should push certain buttons. Since I was going from two sided to one side I needed more help than a normal fax. I thought maybe $10 or so. $38.87!!! For a fax that does not cost them more than a couple pennies. I will certainly be looking to fax from a different place next time.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

When a purchase is made Staples does not tell you that you must accept their rebate in the form of a cash rebate card. They used to send a check that was easy to cash or deposit. A cash rebate card, for a small amount is virtually useless. Restaurants won't accept it and stores (including Staples) don't know how. Eventually they agreed to send me a check for my less than $6 rebate. But then (without telling me) deducted $2.50 for their trouble. I'm finished with Staples. I doubt that they will be in business much longer anyway.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I purchase in store and online for pick up at the store. Staples staff are very friendly and helpful. Staples pricing is usually more than I wish to spend but it's balanced out when I take advantage of their sale and clearance areas.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Andrew ** The store manager on duty August 10th at 9pm at store 0599 College Point NY was the most nastiest and useless person I have ever met. I paid $120 for a UPS package on 8/9/17 to arrive to Canada next day (August 10th) because my mother is in need of her medications. UPS called the store not once but twice asking for an invoice they were supposed to provide from day one and they never sent it. A clerk took the call yesterday and nothing was done. Today UPS called and spoke to Andrew ** and UPS was told both times it was going to be sent. Never happened.

I went and asked very nicely to get this paperwork ASAP to UPS since it was 9pm and the truck was leaving and my package couldn't ship without this invoice. Andrew ** knew the importance of this package because I explained it to him, yet was very rude and told me his system was down and couldn't do anything for me. The systems were not down (confirmed by the clerks on duty that evening). It was just time to clean and close down in an hour and he didn't want to go out of his way. I then asked UPS person who I had on the phone with me if it can be faxed. They said yes.

Again Andrew ** said I needed to pay to fax even though it was the store's fault this package went without the required documents. My daughter worked at that Staples so I know they have a key to override that fax charges. He told me I am not going to use my personal CC and I there is no way to override that charge. "You will have to pay." So I got very upset and yes I insulted him. My mother could end up in the hospital because of Andrew ** for his lack of sympathy and customer service skills. I want this man to get written up and reprimanded. I will not rest until this happens. It's incredible that Staples has people like him managing their stores. I will make sure to keep putting complaints until something is done. I hope this package gets delivered on time. It's my mother's blood pressure medications and she really needs them. If my mother ends up in a hospital due to this situation with Andrew ** I will sue staples.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We had ordered a chair and it had been recalled. Instead of sending us a new chair and picking up the old they wanted to send us a part that we would have to install. I tried to complain to their customer service department. Nobody cares. It has been over 35 days and we still do not have the part and nobody can sit on the chair until it comes in. I will probably have to pay a handyman to try to install the part. I will never buy anything from Staples again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I don't know why I continue to bother with Staples rebates. It's time consuming and the process is just a pain to track! I had to call Staples for information on the process and the customer service agent I could barely understand then she hung up on me!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I ordered office supply from Staples on August 3, 2017. Given the fact that I needed it urgently I opted for pick up at a Staples store. As much as it indicated the item was not available for pick within one hour, it was indicated that it will be available the next day August 4 for pick up. Today is August 5 and the item still has not been delivered. Upon calling Staples customer service I am now being informed the item will be delivered to the Staples store on August 7 at the end of the day! Thus, Staples is misleading customers to make orders knowing very well they will not be able to meet the delivery date! So please be warned, if time is of the essence shop somewhere else. I will not be buying anything else from Staples and I will be returning the item. Since it is now obsolete!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I placed an order online with Staples. Both my kids' school supplies from Staples.com. For around $140 dollars. The school supplies came when it was pouring outside and the UPS guy left them outside in the rain. When I got home the boxes were soaking wet so I called customer service right away. The customer service rep was telling me to take the soaking wet 3 boxes of supplies to UPS and return them and with the new labels she would send me. Also the other option she gave me was she would send me new supplies to the store and I can pick them up.

If I had the time to go to the store and buy supplies then why would I order them online. I placed an order online without shopping around anywhere else for school supplies with Staples because I trust them. However this time I am not a happy customer and neither are my kids with all their supplies being soaking wet. I would have never ordered online if I knew it would create double work for me. Staples got back to me. All they said was they are sorry that I had to go through this and this makes them aware of how they can improve their services. Nothing about exchanging my order without any hassles.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

HATE STAPLES! Every year I make the mistake of buying something here with a rebate then spend an hour or two (or three) trying to save $30 or whatever. Total scam. Good for welfare recipients with nothing but spare time but horrible for business owners. Never, ever, ever again!

Original review: July 29, 2017

Staples in Milford, CT, once had a guy named Jared who I totally trusted with my computer. He doesn't work there now. I took it in because it was so slow and the internet is so slow (no one else on my wifi has the same problem). They charged me almost $200 to remove what they said were a lot of viruses. I took it home and it is as slow as ever. Also a note on customer service: They said it would be ready that day, but it was ready four days later. They never called me to let me know they would need more time. Also, I stopped by the copying area to ask a question. Three people were behind the counter talking and didn't acknowledge me. After a few minutes I just left. Absolute opposite of the experiences I have at Trader Joe's and Planet Fitness. I'm afraid the writing may be on the wall for Staples.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I purchased 2 Samsung S7 smartphones on April 28th, 2016 with the promise from the salesman that a $200 rebate from Staples was included with the purchase of these two NEW phones. Bar code on purchase was 10710428160953006. Sale # **. On April 29th I submitted the rebate forms on line. Order#**Tracking # **. In return I received a postcard with the comment "All required products were not submitted." I called the rebate center and talked to several individuals who dismissed me rudely when I did not know my rebate offer number.

I went to the store and they told me the rebate offer number. I then printed out the rebate forms and submitted all the asked for information in writing via two separate envelopes. In return I received an post card stating "Select Smartphone monthly plan Missing UPC". Tracking number **. I went back to the store to require what was wanted. I was told that they needed a copy of the UPC's from the phone boxes. I scanned the phone boxes and mailed these to the rebate center. I heard nothing in return.

I then chatted on line with the rebate center on July 26, 2016 ref ** with R ** and was told my information had been received but that my rebate had been denied. However, I was told a supervisor would contact me within 10 days with further information. This never happened. So almost a year later and much time and effort later I still have not received the $200 rebate per phone that I was promised. I do not accept the explanation that these were not NEW phones. They were new phones to Verizon and new phones purchased at Staples. I am certainly paying Verizon monthly for the phones. Since this communication I have learned that my promised 1 gigabyte memory per device (2 phones and a tablet) is really 1 gigabyte for all three devices. Thus I do not recommend staples as a place to buy your cell phones. I was completely deceived.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Sorry, I am trying to vent. Last night at 1 am I got a flat tire right by the entrance to STAPLES on rt 37 in Toms River so I pulled off Route 37 into their parking lot. I could not get anyone to come help me at that hour and found a ride home. This morning, I found someone to help me go change the tire and when we arrived discovered my car gone! Went into Staples and was told it was towed!!! Called store and was told there is a 3 hour parking limit (huge parking lot). I was told the parking lot owner has someone from the towing company riding around all the time to tow cars. What a money scam this is! Was told by towing company $500 but they would give me a break for $225. It was obvious the car had a flat tire and not an abandoned car. Just a warning to everyone out there. Stay away from Staples parking lot if you have any auto trouble.

Staples Company Information

www.staples.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use