2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.7/5 (487 ratings)

About Staples

Staples Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I had been ordering from Staples for the past few years as a regular client spending roughly between 1,500 to 2,000 if not more annually. I have had a bit of issues but nothing too major until, I was contacted 3 weeks ago by one of their reps asking if I would like to become a preferred member because of how much I regularly order etc. informing me of all these great reasons why I should, such as fast delivery, great customer service; and so on; therefore, I became a preferred client. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Once I became a preferred member apparently I'm now just some number, they have made very clear to me that becoming a preferred member don't mean anything. The last big order I had placed included tonner which I had indicated I needed right away. I was told by the rep upon ordering it that the wait was not an issue and I would have it within 2 business days, well ok I thought, I then added the tonner into my cart and once order had been placed I expected my items about 2 days later, or at the very least my tonner. WRONG... not only did I not receive my items well over a week later, but a couple of the items I did order just magically vanished and no longer available. How do you have items you can purchase on the website and once it is ordered you're informed they no longer sell the product any longer. Are we as clients supposed to be mind readers?

Then I was told I was sent an email about the items, well yes as a matter of fact I was, "conveniently" as I was talking to the rep, I received the email; funny how that works eh! Oh and the most important item (my tonner) apparently was not ready for shipping just yet, it was not in stock when I ordered it; yet, upon ordering it, there was no indication it was out of stock..."Or I would not have ordered it." But now that it's back in stock they want to send it, but I have to wait another few days or so... UNACCEPTABLE!!!

To top it all off when I made the call to speak to a rep regarding my issues, the rep was rude, and had the "I don't" care attitude. Her exact words and, I quote was "Well there is nothing I can do about it"... At that point I informed her I was considering taking my business elsewhere, his response to that was "then you have to go I guess."

In my opinion, that is horrible and ignorant customer service, especially to a new preferred program client. I requested to speak to a manager and she tells me they don't have a manager, and continued to refuse allowing me to talk to one. I would not EVER recommend Staples to anyone if they want items right away or without hassle... I will never be ordering from Staples again but, as the young customer service rep indicated over the phone "it's no problem, we have lots of customers, I am just one". Nice...real nice. Staples will never get my business nor the business of anyone I know again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I purchased an ACER Aspire TC-855 desktop from Staples in Nov. 2018 for about $700 plus tax. Now I'm told that I have to spend $430 to replace a solid state hard drive to correct a problem of the computer running unacceptably slowly. The machine has been used lightly for WORD, Excel, and email. Unacceptable. This ends my relationship with Staples after purchasing 3 iPads, 1 Mac mini, monitor, printers, supplies, etc., over the past several years.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Bought this laptop from Staples because I had bought one in 2011 and received the best of service. This is the reason I bought a second one in July 2021. The machine stopped working and now I am getting the run around. I started calling Staples at 9 am and the final answer from Staples is for me to call HP. I will tell everyone I know, (from the electronic store that I had) and everyone I know from in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick. If Staples loses business SO BE IT.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I ordered 2 3-ring binders and a package of pens on August 14, 2021. The item was supposed to be delivered on August 18, 2021. Every weekday since August 18 (it is a week later), I have received an email telling me that delivery has been delayed and it will be delivered the next day. It turns out that Staples uses outside vendors to complete local deliveries. In this case (near Chicago), they're using Veterans Messenger Service. I called this messenger service and they told me that there is a huge delay and that I won't get the package for another 2+ weeks. If it actually is delivered, it'll be almost a month since I ordered it. Why don't they use USPS or UPS or even FedEx? I don't know. I didn't expect that it'd take a month to get the items, so I had to go out and buy them somewhere else, since I need them now.

Also, since the items already shipped, Staples says that I'm not eligible for a refund. Actually, the only way to get a refund is for Staples to contact the local delivery vendor and have them send the items back to Staples and then 10 days after that happens, I would get the refund. Good luck with that, since the delivery vendor seems to be a total mess. I really don't want to support Amazon or Walmart, but dang, Staples really doesn't have their stuff together (or they use vendors that aren't reliable). I'll never order from Staples again. Learned my lesson.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

As a customer of Staples for many years, I was disappointed at how the store was so dis-organized. We had to ask for what we were looking for as it was not on the shelf. Several staff were standing around, and could have been busy helping to re-stock shelves. As I was paying, I was notified that I had to put in a PIN - my personal number in order to process my payment.

This is new as I have always used my card as a credit and do not put my personal PIN anywhere but the bank. I do not want to use a credit card. The manager informed that if I didn't put in my pin that I could not shop there. She said it is a new system and that is the way it is. I left and ordered everything I needed from Amazon and it was cheaper and will arrive the same day. Shipping Free. It seems to me that store like Staples would want to keep their customers and not lose business to Amazon. I am sorry to say that after many years of shopping at Staples, I won't return.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Bought Printer April 2nd, used it half a dozen times before it started jamming. Called Staples in Newington, NH where I bought it. The "customer service rep" I spoke with asked if I bought the protection plan. (I had to check, it looks like I hadn't) I said, "Assuming I didn't. What's your return policy on something like this," he said "14 days". I said that's it. He confirmed. There was nothing left to say, except for whatever happened to customer service? No wonder Staples stores are closing. I can't say I'm surprised following this recent experience. Good riddance!

Original review: May 5, 2021

I ordered an item online. Attempted to cancel it ten minutes later. Staples policy won't allow this. Therefore I have to return the item to a store which is half an hour away. The store is in another region as well... so according to the present lockdown rules I cannot return this item. I am extremely disappointed and will never shop at Staples again.

Original review: April 18, 2021

Ordered 10 Apple iPads from Staples online. This was my first order ever, from Staples. Two days later I go online, only to find my order has been canceled, but no one knows why. No notification. This is also my last order from Staples. Pure bait and switch online. There's a reason why many of their stores are permanently closed. These people can't be trusted.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Even though the product has a warranty, the company rep agreed it was covered instead of simply returning the product to the store, they send you a gift card. Well this makes no sense, especially in the mail vs online. Well after numerous emails waiting over a month, no gift card. Plenty of ** though. I would not even purchase a pen from this place.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I had to order three items for each of my 18 students in a course I am teaching online. Typing them into the terribly inefficient Staples online webform took me two hours. A box of crayons, a box of pastels, and a roll of paper. I got a notice the next day that all of my orders except one had been canceled. I called Staples and learned that they suspected me of being a reseller. This would be a terrible career given all of the issues - I am a teacher, not a reseller. A very kind and efficient employee took down all of that information again and placed the 18 orders. She gave me a $10 gift certificate for my wasted two hours on the website and an additional hour and a half with her.

Then chaos ensued - Staples ships, not from a central fulfillment place, but from many places - and so there were 18 x 3 shippers and shipments involved. Many of them had problems - they called me and asked the address again (written on the shipping slip), they did not leave the package. There is no preview of the order on the website and so I had to log into every single one of the 18 orders to see if the items had been delivered. Staples sends a notice when delivery is delayed - but they do not put who it was being shipped to - so again, back to the website to see if it was delivered and first to figure out which order it was. Finally, a number of items were returned to Staples and I had to order them from Amazon so the students had them in time. I will not order from Staples again.

Staples Company Information