Staples

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am in need of replacing my home computer tower with an updated version of windows and all the necessary components to operate what I have. I am not a computer oriented/savvy individual so I have few questions concerning prices, software, how to, etc and what I might need to purchase in order to get everything I have in my old to computer into a new one. With that being said I went to my nearest Staples store in Palm Bay Fla. located at 1595 Palm Bay Rd. Palm Bay, FL 32905. As I enter the store I was greeted by one of the cashiers - to which I expressed the reason of me being there. The lady directed me to the computer/electronic counter and called a technician.

I waited about three minutes. To my surprise a young - pimpled face man showed up and asked me how can he help me. The first thing that came out of my mouth was "Hi - I have few questions about updating computers. Do you have some time for us to talk?" His response: "Well... if we are going to be talking over half an hour I will have to charge you for the extra time. You see... I was working on an important project and I was interrupted to come out here to wait on you."

Needless to say I was shocked by his unsolicited response, so I told him that at my age (61) I have seen greed going wild but you sir have taken it to a whole new level. As I was walking out I said - thanks, have a nice day and I walked out of there as fast as I could before Staples considering charging customers just to put their feet in their stores.

I bought an Intuit virtual downloadable product through Staples on June 28th 2017. They charged my visa card on the 4th of July 2017. They asked me via telephone voice messages to confirm the product name and my email address twice. Each time, I've been on hold for over 45 minutes. On July 10th, an unnamed person apologized to me and assured me I would receive a download link the same day. We are now July 12th and I did not receive the link yet. Also, a week ago, I asked them to cancel my order and refund my credit card. They replied that the product was not returnable. I replied, "I don't want to return it since I never received it." Then, dead silence from these idiots. I now work with my visa card provider to have this charge reversed. I will never buy any thing from Staples again and will also avoid Intuit products as they put up with dishonest distributors like STAPLES crooks. Please help us boycott Staples, USA and Canada.

My card was charged for an order I did not place. Now. Though I have a Staples account, I do NOT save any credit cards on their system. I wrote to Customer Service 5 times about it and called 4 times in the past 24 hours. Every time, the first few times every person who got back to me said they would cancel the order and refund my card. And also deactivate my account, which has clearly been compromised. Also they would send me email confirmation that this has taken place. That never happened.

The last person I spoke to, Josh, said that "Staples can not help me with this." And that they could give no evidence that they were deactivating my account, no confirmation. Even despite the fact that my account had clearly been compromised on their system. This is not the first time I had a problem with Staples. I stopped using them over a month ago, because my last order never came. And when I called Customer Service they had no explanation. Very very bad service, and beyond that, irresponsible considering my account was clearly compromised.

Staples customer service is the worst I had in a very long time and I'm talking about the worst. When you call the 1 800 number they have a bunch of people that barely speak English that you barely understand on the phone.

Placed an online order for in-store pickup. Was injured the same day before I could pick up the order. I called the store (Wooster, Ohio) and asked if I could have my wife or son pick up the order for me (with the pickup-email and photo ID). They said, "NO!" I explained the circumstances and even told them that I used my wife's credit card to place the order and they wouldn't budge. THIS is one of the reasons we haven't purchased from Staples in a LONG time. We will never buy from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

I don't know if management knows how "customer service" destroys business but orders are not filled even with confirmation email. I ordered a stereo system on June 24th with a European credit card. A day later I got an email to call Staples as you do not accept European credit cards. I called on the 26th and talked to an Indian guy who put me on hold several times and finally told me to call again as I called outside the order service hours. So a day later (27th June) I called again and talked to a lady. The line was not very clear and I repeated every piece of information several times. The whole call took about 20 minutes. Question one: Why do I have to spell my address and email address when I have an account and have entered the data before? After the call I got an email for confirmation and an expected delivery date of 11th July. On July 1st I got an email to review and rate my order.

So today (7/4) I logged in and checked on my order. All I see is a cancellation of the original order! And it says "item discontinued" which sounds like Staples does not want to honor the "deal of the day" pricing. Question 2: What happened to my order? And finally question/request 3: Please do not make me call your customer service again. Please send me an email. If the credit card data are not correct I updated my account data. And if your answer is that you are not able to fill the order for which I received a confirmation, then you lost another customer and I will share this incident in consumer websites.

I order something (clear Amram 2" standard attachment/red Amram tagger gun) online on June 19th. I got a email stating it will be ready on that Friday so I went into the store to pick it up. This store is the closest store to me which is in the Rim. It takes about 30 minutes on a good day with traffic. They told me it was not in and I said, "Okay thank you." I get home and I have a email that tells me my stuff is in and ready for pick up. So I called them this time to check on it so I would not have to travel again that far. Got a hold of someone and was put on hold for 15 min. Finally someone came on the phone to tell me they have it in their hand. I can tell you one thing I will not be ordering or shopping from Staples again. Now I know why they are closing stores. One they are too far and two they don't know what they are doing.

I purchased a 48 x 48 activity table on-line. When it arrived, we carefully unpacked it and laid it face-down on a protected surface to attach the legs and adjust them to the desired height. When done, we turned it right-side up--only to find that three of the corners were damaged -- two corners with very bad gouges so you could see the particle board under the laminate. This was disappointing to say the least. Of course, we should have inspected the product when it first arrived before spending two hours attaching the legs. In our defense, the corners were packaged very well.

We now think it was probably damaged before it was packaged and sent to us. After contacting Staples Customer Service with photos to show proof of the damage, they said they would take $50 off the $239 product. I have since found a table that is indistinguishable from Wayfair for $178, which is $60 less. Nevertheless, Staples is unwilling to discount the table further. So their price-matching policy is worth nothing. My only other option is to disassemble the table and repackage it for return. Because the table is heavy, this is too cumbersome to do. So I am keeping the table, which means buying an epoxy and doing the repair. Needless to say, I will not be buying anything on-line from Staples again.

Simply tried to pay my Staples Business account - only a small amount due. A problem occurred for the third time since last November 2016. I had secured my ID and PW with two security accounts... and again it was not recognized by Staples. Then, when online, I paid my bill, I was told I could not receive an online receipt or confirmation of payment online, but only by postal mail. I have summarily closed this stinking account.

I purchased a Dell multifunction color, wifi laser printer online from Staples. The printer was for my home office and I was in no hurry to unbox it so it sat around for a week. When I tried to set up the printer, it would not connect to my Linksys 1900 router nor was it recognized by my iMac. I purchased a Linksys signal extender but signal strength apparently wasn't the problem. I spent hours with Dell customer service and they could not make it work. The Dell rep told me to return the printer within 30 days for a refund. I returned the printer on the 35th day and Staples would not accept the return. I was given a number to call and the return period shrunk from 30 days to 14 days, talk about insult to injury. Anyway, at 53 I sent my first tweet and it was a complaint concerning Staples customer service. I caution you, stay away from the Staples horrible customer service gauntlet.

Yesterday I purchased a Apple iPad 9.7 inch 128 GB along with several accessories. Before purchasing it was explained to me that the item would arrive to the store no later than 6/16/17 and I was given a ticket that indicated this to keep for my records. The Manager Michelle took my information because I was also applying for a Staples credit card. Once that was completed we proceeded to checkout. Once the transaction was completed I was given the receipt for all the items. A conversation between myself, the manager & an employee then took place... I asked the manager if by the grace of God the item could be in on Thursday and she said yes and that UPS delivers by noon and she will have someone call me. If it does not come via UPS then they will see me Friday. So I proceed to leave the store under the impression that what the manager told me was accurate.

After getting home I receive a email order confirmation now saying it will arrive on 6/20. I get on the phone with customer service for 1 hour and 20 minutes and nothing get done for me. I then call the store location and the manager that is there takes the time to call other stores and even to see if the delivery could be expedited. NOTHING can be done. This was a last minute gift addition for my daughter's birthday and now it's completely ruined. Had I been told accurate information I would have gone to Best Buy and purchased one there... where they are in stock. I went against my better judgment and even told the manager I was relying on her... I should have known better. I feel that they could care less that I had just spent $913.74 at their store. I'm very unhappy and wish I had never applied for the credit card. I will most likely never use the credit card considering how the customer service here is well below expectations.

I spend thousands of dollars a year at Staples. Won't shop Staples again. Bought $80 corded/cordless phone at Staples on/about May 10, 2017. The store on Tarrytown Road in Elmsford, NY. A friend hooked it up for me. Tried calling my number from his cell phone and my new phone didn't ring. Tried calling me again. New phone did not ring. Got in another young tech-savvy kid to try again. No luck. THIRD person came to my home to see if this phone would ring. Sometimes it rang, most times it didn't. Okay, new phone is defective. Phoned Staples and told to return it.

I took sick for a few weeks and could not drive. Yesterday went to Staples in Elmsford to return phone and asked for a STORE CREDIT. Did not want my money back; just a store credit! Bottomline was they would only return $40 to me because I was "a few days" past the return date. Told me to contact the manufacturer of the phone. I won't be returning to Staples again. Going to Office Max instead.

I have purchased three printers in the last year from Staples. I also use Staples for all my large printing and copying needs. These purchases were for my business where I need an operating printer everyday. They only stand behind what they sell for 14 days and then my only options is to buy another printer to complete the necessary tasks for my business. I met with the store manager Jeff, and he was unwilling to make it right. Maybe it's above his pay grade.

I purchased a $300 computer from the Staples in Laramie in 2012. I took it home, and it would not connect to the internet. I took it into the store the next day, and they connected it to an Ethernet cable and told me it appeared to be working just fine, but that they could send a technician to my home to diagnose the issue with my internet for $99. I asked them if they were to find nothing wrong with my internet, if I would be refunded that fee. They said I would not. So I took the computer home and it still would not connect to the internet. Everyone else in my house was able to connect to the internet, and I was able to connect on my phone. I tried plugging in the Ethernet cable, and it did work that way.

I returned to the Staples again the following day and explained that this was the only computer that would not connect to the internet, and that it would connect only when plugged into the Ethernet. They ran the same diagnostic they had run the day before. I tried to explain that it was the wifi that was the problem, but they made it clear that they did not believe that. They informed me that while they had no way to test my wifi, that if it worked with the Ethernet, it most certainly would work with wifi. I tried to explain to them that this wasn't the case. But they essentially called me some combination of a liar and stupid, and told me that the problem was 100% a problem with my home internet. I was never able to connect to any public network on that $300 computer, even when hundreds of other people were able to connect to those networks with no problems. I wouldn't suggest buying anything, as they WILL find a way to rip you off.

I ordered business cards online. Went to the store to pick them up, and of course there was a very lengthy wait (30 minutes at least) because they could not locate the UPC to ring up the order. I signed up for Staples Rewards program because the guy helping me was very nice. Manager walks over and starts to get his hands involved with the transaction because the agent helping me out really could not find a UPC. Finally, they start ringing up the cards under a pseudo-UPC and I see displayed on the screen "$10.20" and the big boss man says swipe your card; I say no, I already paid. He goes "PAH..." Then shakes his head and I grab my cards and walk out the door.

Let me tell you, I know the boss would have liked to say something to me but in my defense, it is not my problem your store doesn't have its act together. If Staples really wants good customer service, management really needs to set a good example and stop spewing their animosity towards customers; trust me it really is infectious and you will probably lose the respect of your employees and customers alike.

I received an email (at 5:22 p.m.) for a coupon that included $5 instant rebate and $41 easy rebate for a total saving of $46 on a case of paper for in store use only. I went the following day (nearly 60 miles each way to the nearest Staples store). The cashier's receipt and the Rebate Receipt both stated the same rebate/savings, however, the Rebate Redemption Form said the easy rebate was for only $36. After extensive Live Chat with a Staples representative and repeatedly saying I was wrong (even though I had everything in black and white in front of me), he finally said he couldn't help me and gave me a number to call.

That number had no way of reaching a real person and did nothing to resolve the matter. It followed with many emails back and forth, and supplying them with copies of everything. Ultimately, they said that the easy rebate offer for $41 had expired the day I received the offer (1 hour before the store closed) and now it was good for only a $36 easy rebate. They gave no response to the fact that there was no expiration date in the email or on the coupon, nor that the receipts from the purchase date both made the same $41 offer. I know it is only $5, but it is the principal. Amazing that Staples chooses to lose a customer forever over not honoring a $5 offer they offered.

You deserve to be acquired by anybody based on your poor treatment of REGULAR long-term customers! Your local customer service in Rockland, Maine is horrible. 1 cashier, 10 people in line, and 5-6 employees wandering around. Easy Rebates? What a joke. I first signed into my account... THEN I could not sign in to Easy Rebates because they did not accept the password that I just used to sign in!! All of your rebate offers are TOO SHORT - the one I am looking at goes from 4/23/17 to 4/29/17!!! 6 days? Including a weekend? Then the offer message says "YOU MUST SEND IN YOUR REBATE WITHIN 60 DAYS FROM YOUR PURCHASE DATE." WHICH IS IT? 6 OR 60 DAYS? This is why I really hate to go to Staples.

I am very disappointed with the Staples Ink Recycling Rewards program. In the past I returned 10 empty cartridges and would receive 3 dollars per cartridge (30 dollars) as a reward certificate in the mail. Today I called to find out where my certificate was for the past 20 cartridges returned to learn that I could only get a reward online through their website. But they now have a catch that if I don't make a 30 dollar purchase for ink within 180 days after returning the cartridges, I won't get the reward and there is nothing they can do for me. I used to wait for the reward to come in the mail and then go buy their expensive ink because of the certificate they sent me. I will be shopping elsewhere for my ink and returning the empty cartridges anywhere else but Staples.

I purchased a Chromebook and was offered Office 365 as a bundle for a year at a reduced price. I purchased. I received my Chromebook and could not download. I went to the store and was told it does not have Windows so I should not have been offered Office 365. I returned Chromebook and was told to download the Office 365 on new computer I purchased. I could not download it on my new computer (It probably thought it was on the Chromebook). Anyway long story short despite Staples misrepresenting the bundle they will not give me a refund and I am out about $55 bucks. I will never shop there again.

Have bought several comps from you but will never shop with again since you are part of the theft scam Square Trade warranty crap. Thanks for helping them to rob me. Why in the hell would I buy a warranty that runs concurrent with a manufacturer warranty? Guess I didn't ask the right question. I guess asking your employee if I really need it is the wrong question. Do you own that company? Or do you get so much for every useless warranty you sell? Thanks for theft. I'll help to spread the word to everyone I know and more.

In short, the Staples printing ordering website is EXTREMELY non-user friendly and I feel that I am being punished for their error by having paid for & being left with unusable products. There is also ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION OR QUALITY! I ordered 6 items from Staples online printing service to be shipped to my home for an event. Two of the prints didn't even arrive with the shipment. There was no packing slip or note of the reason for the missing items.

Of the items that did arrive, 2 of the 4 were so blurry they were almost illegible and the spiral-bound manual I ordered (as an order book for my small business) had been hole-punched through the subtotal line of the order forms. However, in the print preview on Staples ordering page the holes were to the side and not punching through the printed area of the pages. When I called to inform them that almost my entire order was incorrect, I was told I should've chosen a different weighted paper that would've been "pre-hole punched" to avoid the holes from punching through my form. There was nowhere on the Staples order page that indicated which papers are pre-punched and which are not, so there is no way I could've known this, especially since the print preview showed it as it should have been not as it actually came.

As for the blurriness of my other items, I had the proper 300 dpi resolution photos submitted to the order page but the preview was only showing very zoomed in versions of my photos (about 1/4th) and did not have the option to resize the photo to fit to the page. When I called in I was told that there's a "Fit content to page" button you can click inside the media selection tab and that there's nothing they can do to fix my order because I should've submitted a higher resolution photo, which I had done originally but it WOULDN'T FIT ON THE PAGE, therefore I changed the resolution to fit the page on the screen at the highest possible dpi.

I am not an expert in printing, hence I hired Staples, expecting professional, high quality prints, not blurry images. Had they had a USER-FRIENDLY way to fit the content to page this wouldn't have happened. All in all, it shouldn't be a difficult task to find a way to fit content to the screen. This website is not designed for consumers, more so for people who already have very specific knowledge of the printing industry, i.e. knowing which weighted paper comes pre-punched. I would not recommend using Staples printing unless you're desperate or are not concerned with quality.

I have been through this with our Staples store a few times & there's only one way to say it. Their printer ink rebate for empty cartridges is just a bad joke for many people. You may as well just throw the used cartridges away. I had a receipt for 12 empty cartridges turned in, but it's past the time limit. Got 4 more empties now, but due to the way they work it, I can't get reimbursed for these either. If you buy a lot of cartridges, you may be able to use the program. Otherwise, it's a joke. I finally ended up getting more cartridges at another store. I won't do any more business with Staples if there is any way around it.

Associate told me I had 30 days to return. I go in to return a laptop charger that is useless because it doesn't fit my laptop within the 30 day window. I'm told that it's only 14 days to return items that are not office supplies. Apparently you only have 30 days if you DO NOT have a receipt, yet 14 days with receipt. Wait, what??? Also, office supplies are unlimited days. Who returns office supplies?

Obviously, this deliberately ambiguous return policy is meant to keep people from returning high priced items (e.g. Electronics, devices, etc.) unless they act right away. Then the manager looks up my item and it's been discounted by $30! It's a universal laptop charger that all of a sudden is worth less because "well, it's after 14 days so the price dropped for you"... Wow. Seems like Staples is running a scam. I can't get fully refunded and the best they can do is give me a store credit refund that's $30 less than what I paid? Holy crappp, it hasn't even been 30 days since I purchased this item. No wonder Amazon is beating you, Staples. You're a SCAM now.

On 3/14/17 I purchased 2 packages of ink for my printer, paid and left, apparently the ink packages are suppose to be taken out of the hard plastic case which they weren't and I had no knowledge of that. One week later I needed the ink and when I went to put it in I literally had to break the plastic case it was sealed in. When doing this I realized that the other package was the wrong numbered ink, apparently I hadn't notice it when purchasing as it was on the same rack. I took the wrong cartridges back on 3/27/17 and after going through 4 people a manager came from the back room and told me they were not going to exchange it as it was in the plastic case and accused me of stealing it!! I asked him if he realized how much business he just lost and he told me he could care less!! (I own 2 businesses.) This is not the first time I have had issues with this store and I will NEVER go back in there or another Staples again.

On 3/18/17 I went to Staples to purchase a laptop. I was initially given the runaround and finally an assistant manager assisted who then proceed to give me a hard time by questioning why I bought a printer at a competitor's store. I got the last laptop which was in an open box. They tried to sell me an extended service plan. I refused. The assistant manager took the laptop and charger out of the box to test the laptop. The laptop worked. When I got home I noticed the charger was missing. I then looked closer at my bill to see why I was charged so much for the laptop. The assistant manager committed fraud by knowingly charging me for the two extended plan I told her previously that I did not want.

On 3/19/17 I went back to the store to get my money back and get the charger. The same assistant manager was given my receipt and started giving me a hard time. Three time I asked for my receipt and charger. She refused to comply. Now she is a thief too. On 3/20/17 I complained to Staples corporate. On 3/21/17 they responded:

"Thank you for contacting Staples regarding the poor service you received in our store. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. I have contacted the store's senior management regarding your concerns of overall poor customer service. Rest assured, senior management will speak with the manager involved to ensure the service our customers receive is great from start to finish. We always enjoy hearing from our customers, especially when they offer us the opportunity to correct a situation and regain customer satisfaction. As a goodwill gesture, please find the attached Staples Courtesy Coupon for $30.00 to be used on your next in-store or online purchase. We hope that you will remain a valued Staples customer." No wonder why Staples is closing stores. I will never buy from Staples again because of the pathetically weak response to my complaint. The assistant manager should have at least been suspended.

After purchasing paper with a rebate promotion, I tried to claim it. The system confirmed my account email and said I must use a prior PW associated with it. I did not remember that and tried to reset it, but no mechanism on the easy rebate site was there. I tried 3 chats. Three solutions were different; none worked. Each time the account was said not to exist but it not let me set up an account because the same account must be used. A complete circular event. A phone call to 877-266-6483 was a circle of choices, none of which addressed the need. No person could be found. I will return the paper to the local Staples. It felt like a successful runaround.

Made a purchase online with a pickup in store 2/9/2017. I immediately submitted for an "easy rebate" same day. Denial postcard came 2/20/2017. Called Staples 2/21/2017 to find out why order was not recognized; I was told then that the transaction was then found and all would be updated, rebate would be processed within 2-3 weeks. I checked the status tonight, I've got the same message I did a few weeks ago: Invalid, Missing transaction data. Staples denies transaction ever existed. Staples states they cannot see transaction. I signed for order when I went into the store to pick it up. Staples denies I did this.

Bought an inexpensive copier for my wife in August of 2016. She just opened it in March of 2017 and it does not work. All we want is an exchange this product is inexpensive plus the company I retired from and where my wife still works buys many products from your store. I called and left a message for a regional manager after my wife got the run around from your Fairfield, CA. store. The regional manager did not respond. Is this the reason your company is going downhill, closing stores and the like? We need to speak with someone who will help us. Ready to call Better Business Bureau and local television helpline. Come on I worked in retail for 35 years and never treated customers as badly as Staples.

Bought online a Point of sale and return it back to the Staples in Parkway Mall Ellesmere store Scarborough after 1 week as the scanner was not included in it but in the advertise, it didn't tell you whether it was or not, paid $757 (item num 1463629). It was this 12th of Feb 2017, the manager of the store told me that he will take care of everything, no worries, so I left with confidence.

I emailed the store the day after to check if they already picked it up, again the manager replied back, no worries, they are gonna pick it up the next day. Then I called customer service 3 days after and they told me, they were not aware of this and whether the store manager issued a credit at the register for me but he didn't and I didn't know their procedure and after many calls to customer service, I got emailed from Staples this 6th of March 2017 that now my product has been returned and I am still waiting to get refund. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I will keep you update about my case.

UPDATE ON 3/17/2017: Today, my order number ** which I did return last February 13th of 2017 to Staples 95 Ellesmere road Toronto Canada is still being process. Just call again customer service today at 17.25 pm, a person whose name is ** talked to me to say that they are going to refund me and it is going to take 7 or 10 days and I told him that they are the ones who have to do the follow up and emailing back customers to confirm their credit back. Once again, never ever buy items from Staples Canada as their return policy is a point of no return. I will keep you update if I get my money back. It has been 1 month and 1 week now that I am still waiting for.

I ordered business cards and provided a thumb drive of the image. None of the self-serve machines were working so the printer associate downloaded the information onto an interior machine as I observed. He made a couple of tweaks and said all was fine. I returned the next day and the back of the card had not been printed and the cards had been cut leaving a large and obvious border on one side. They needed to be re-run.

I again returned to the store the following day. The backs had been printed this time but there was still a ridiculous border on one side of the card. Later I received an email from a customer service representative. Instead of a genuine apology and assuming responsibility for the repeated errors, she told me that Staples failure to print the back of the card and competently center (or cut) the card was because I provided a blurry image. Huh? According to Staples, I was responsible for their errors. I sent a reply email explaining that she did not understand the particulars.

The following day, I received yet another email from another customer service representative again blaming the quality control errors on me. The image is not blurry. None of the THREE printer associates with whom I spoke on my frequent visits said anything about blurriness of the image and as far as I know, failure to properly complete an order and review it before it is final have absolutely nothing to do with a so-called blurry image.

The repeated errors were more than stupid but the customer service responses and lack of accountability speak to the integrity of the organization. If they refuse to be accountable and apologetic for a printing error, then I certainly would not trust them for a more expensive and important purchase like a multi-computer office system. While Staples is most convenient to me geographically, they have shown that they can provide considerable inconvenience nevertheless. I will drive further in the future in order to receive quality service elsewhere and will share my story with colleagues and friends.

Staples Company Profile