3.19/5

726 Staples Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 26, 2019

My fiancé and I decided on a last minute wedding to take place in a month. I made up the invitations and response cards and went to Staples. Josie went out of her way to get them and also return address labels printed up and ready within a few hours. The quality of paper used for the invitations and response cards is just beautiful, and so professional looking. It was so easy to just email her the store email of what I had designed, and then get them printed up! She made everything go very smoothly! I would recommend the print shop and Josie any day! I will be returning to have thank you cards done after the wedding.

Original review: May 8, 2019

A couple weeks ago I went into Staples in Rolla MO, I had had an accident a month prior and was still having trouble walking I had to use a Walker. The manager met me, sat me down in 1 of their very comfortable office chairs and went and got all I needed. She walked me to checkout and waited with me and then carried my stuff to my car. I think her name was Lisa, I don't remember the man's name at the register, I couldn't have asked for better service. When I went in there was no one to help me, she happened to come around the corner and seen me looking at calculators. She asked if I had been helped and when I said no she apologized. I will go back and thank her again when I get time. Staples Rolla has all my service.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I am close to 70 years old and own a Smith Corona typewriter that I wanted to purchase a backup ribbon. The young gentleman who waited on me was named Seth. He looked at every ribbon in stock, to try and find one that would work. Unfortunately, none worked. I was very satisfied with the effort and time he put into trying to help me. I consider that great public relations. Keep up the good work Seth and thank you Staples for trying to help a customer with their product. Mrs. **. from WI.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I recently bought some DVD cases from the Hurstbourne Lane store. When I got home my husband said they wouldn't work because they were tinted. So I called the store and asked if they had them in clear and at the same price. The lady said yes. When I got to the store to exchange them the price for the clear ones was almost 3 times as much as the ones I was returning. I told the manager that I was told they were the same price. He was very nice and agreed to change the price of the clear ones. When I got them home we realized the clear ones were much better than the ones I had exchanged so I understand why they were so much more. I was really impressed with the manager who wanted to make his customer happy. I will continue to shop there.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I went to the Staples in Brighton Michigan to pick up some brochures we had ordered to be printed on Nov 2, 2018 around 6:30 pm and received the best customer service by an employee named Miles that I have ever received ANYWHERE in ANY STORE I HAVE EVER BEEN A CUSTOMER IN! We had ordered the wrong type of paper to be printed on and Miles very eagerly, patiently, kindly and with a great smile went out of his way to offer to redo them for us on paper that would fold our brochures better. I didn't have to ask, he OFFERED and then offered to fold them as well. I was so impressed by this young man's care that I will always ask for him when doing business with Staples again in the future! Thank you Miles for making my night go so much smoother. We need more people like you in this world!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: July 15, 2019

I just realized the order I placed a week ago was cancelled because I used coupons for $100 off an online order of $500 or more, and 30% off. This is the email I received: "We would like to inform you that your Staples order number ** will not be processed due to an issue with the coupon(s) applied. Staples reserves the right to cancel an offer or order at any time for any reason."

They just didn't want to honor their own coupons. Horrible customer service. I called and was just told that the item is now out of stock, and to check back on the website (couldn't even backorder for me or offer a raincheck). They specifically said I couldn't use the coupons again. I will not be choosing Staples for any purchases in the future.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We (a non-profit corp.) have used Staples printing as our increasingly primary source for about 15+ years, and watched the quality of work (not product) gradually erode to the point where it has become the largest source of anxiety we face. Yes, even more than fund raising: Because print services are the ultimate backbone of our own appeal to the public - for their support and patronage.

The problem increasingly worsens. Of the last 7 print jobs - usually short run digital program booklets, sometimes large advertising posters - 5 were simply incorrect and (quickly & courteously) redone. Costing us time, however. One was finished slightly wrong, but in desperation we used it anyway. 6 errors in 7 is a pretty bad batting average. Even the self-serve machines cannot be relied upon because sometimes they are loaded with the wrong paper stock. The latest disaster cost us much more than time.

So it's not the equipment. Even large scale poster printing, as in our usual summer jobs, always comes out with flawless color matching based on our carefully color-balanced source material. The latest and biggest fiasco seems to prove that the main culprit is communication between the person taking the order and the people processing and finishing the order. And this I believe is epidemic throughout the Staples network of stores in the greater New York area. And believe me we have now tried many stores, especially in the last 5 years as the problem grew.

They seem to care about customer satisfaction. Bad orders, even large ones, are happily tossed in the trash (costing Staples how much?) and redone. But when we are dealing with time-critical work, that is simply too little and too late. Brand loyalty on our part? That ends today. Really big, complex jobs, say thousands of multi-page booklets, we always send directly to a printing plant and have never had a problem. It is time to find another source for short-run digital printing.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I arrived close to the store close (7:50) to pick up my pre-paid print order, and the doors were already locked. The employees at the front waved us off and then ignored us. I knocked, hoping they'd come over so I could explain it was a pre-paid order that I just needed to pick up (for an event starting at 7 AM the next day, it couldn't wait), and received a rude gesture in reply. I was with my husband and 4 year old and with my arm in a sling from surgery, and on my second knock, the "manager" indicated she would call the police - and she did. I'm sure we looked so threatening in our minivan. We received criminal trespass citations from the utterly unhelpful cop, and was told to pick up from another store.

Since it was printed at this location, picking it up elsewhere wasn't going to help (nor was I going to waste my time driving because a lazy employee couldn't manage to do her job properly), even if the event wasn't happening prior to the store's Saturday opening. I have NEVER been treated so appallingly by a store, and given that they were supposed to have been open, this amounts to the theft of my order. Personally, I think the criminal complaint really needs to go the other way. I'll never shop there again, and plan on telling everyone I know how lazy and offensive the staff at Staples can be. I'll be calling the office of the president since customer support was nearly useless.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I will NEVER order from Staples again! I bought a heavy desk chair and the last thing to be installed were the arm rests. The holes were so far from matching up that this was impossible. Reviews of this chair all say the same thing. So why are they still selling it. Then it gets delivered the very next day after I order it which is great but they have not picked it up in over week despite authorization for the return and my pleas to get it off my porch which has no overhang and I have to lug it in every time it rains and worry about it getting stolen, Customer service was horrible.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Ordered HP Printer Ink on a Wednesday and it's now the following late Monday. Staples has no idea where it is and they can't tell from their own tracking number. If not received by tomorrow I will cancel the order. They did however issue me a Courtesy $10 Coupon that is not good for Ink..Buying somewhere else next time.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Three strikes and you’re out! First my online order was lost in the store for weeks and I was never called back OR contacted when it arrived- I had to keep calling!! Second, I’ve unsubscribed SEVERAL times from marketing emails but STILL get them. THIRD, I needed a matching lid type EMPTY box and made a special stop to pick up or buy one. Even spoke with a manager and was told, "We dispose of those - we have other types you can purchase." I work from home for a very large company that purchases all home office supplies from Staples & that info made no difference. I will tell everyone I know to STAY AWAY!!!! No wonder stores are closing.... POOR customer service!!!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Terrible service from Maria and other agents at Staples, no help at all. She tried to charge me double the price for the ink cartridges, won't be using them again. Also don't have a official complaints procedure.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have ordered Monitor online, was showing available and expected deliver next day, they took order, charged money by updating status Item shipped by evening, and next day says unable to deliver, package is missing, will get money refund back 7-10 business days. Don't understand. If package is missing how come it update status Item shipped? And now I have to wait 7-10 business days for my money back. Is Staples how doing business taking money from customers for 5-10 days and return back?

Original review: April 30, 2019

I ordered a Asus new laptop computer. And when the computer came it was a Refurbished Dell Computer. I called them and they said yes they sent the wrong one. Then all of a sudden they changed their mind. I would never order a refurbished computer 'cause it only last a few months and now it don’t work. The cooling fan and other things and it is over the time to send it back. So they got the money. I am out of $175.90 dollars.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Staples promised to have my business cards ready by 8:30 PM. They called at 7:30 PM saying that they made a mistake and cut the cards incorrectly. I asked them to reprint and cut them again, but they declined because they started to print other cards and they were not willing to stop them. Staples left me hanging and hurt my business. I strongly suggest NOT to go to Staples if you need business cards.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Truly beyond reasonable! I was given a Visa rebate card from Staples that was NEVER activated or used. When I went to use it they claimed it was expired. REALLY I earned it and NEVER used it. Their response was, "Too bad we don't do rebates anymore..." Clearly because you are not honorable enough to stand behind what you issued. You have a lot of competition. My suggestion is EVERY shopper in need of office supplies DO NOT SHOP AT STAPLES. THE WORST OF THE WORST!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I had placed a order for laptop. Staples cancelled it and when I customer care they are saying zip code was not provided but when I am seeing in billing and deliver address of order, complete address is given including zip code.

Original review: March 23, 2019

The item (Laptop) was not in the store. I ordered online in the store. The next day delivery never showed up. Instead I received email that there was a delay. Then next day another email that they did not have the item at all. I received another email that the item was going to be delivered. I decided to cancel the order and I am not getting $631 dollars back but $400. I should have read the reviews of this store before. They are scammers.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I ordered Scotch® Box Sealing Tape, 2.83" x 109.3 yds., Clear, 24 Rolls (311) with my gift cards. They did not ship then I called them after 6 days. I talked to a manager and she said that IT Department was inspecting the gift cards. 2 days later they cancelled the order saying that they have a problem in the system. I asked that if you have a problem in your system why don't you ship my item? They said that it was not in the stock. But I ordered it 9 days ago and it was in the stock. If you have a problem in your system you have to solve the issue. I also used gift cards and now I have to call AMEX and cancel those gift cards. Staples is just waste of time!!! Very bad customer service.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Facebook would not allow me to post this, so I'm posting it here. Bought a chair at Staples a little over a month ago. Foolishly allowed the sales associate to convince me to open an account. He entered the wrong address from my driver's license. I've been a Staples Reward customer for years and pointed out to him that the correct address was on my Staples Reward account, but he insisted on used the driver license. He promised to fix it.

A month goes by and I receive no card and no statement. Go online to find out what's going on with the account and am able to access the automated phone system using my SSN. Find out that they must have tacked on a late charge. Call the customer service number and work my way to an CSR. After 15 minutes of explaining to her that the wrong address is on my account and they are charging me late charges, she gets security person to work on changing my address. First thing the security person wants is my mobile so she can text me an authorization code.

Makes no sense since me holding my phone doesn't prove I'm the person on the account. I get put on hold. 5 minutes later call drops. And, no text auth code, btw. Go back into the automated system, pay off the balance and cancel the card. A $99 or so chair ends up costing me $178. Completely inept Sales Associate and CSR. I've been a Staples customer for over 20 years. I will never buy from Staples again, I can order just as easily from Amazon. Good job Staples, you've lost a long and loyal customer.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I bought a laser pointer for presentations, paying $85. Pointer failed after 3 months, defective, store would not refund or replace item. Called customer service, who would not stand by the product they sold at their store. Do not buy anything at this store.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

So very disappointed in Staples' return policy. I was unable to return item after 14 days. Was not informed of this extremely restrictive return policy. Will find a different retailer who will welcome my business.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased Corel Paintshop Ultimate software from Staples' website. I received six download links and four product keys via email. I proceeded to download and install and then a window popped up asking for Product Serial Number. I tried all of the keys but none worked. I called Staples helpline, they told me I need to call Corel and get serial number. Corel explained that they couldn't give me a serial number for something that I hadn't purchased from them directly (which makes sense) and they told me to call Staples back and ask for a full Refund. Staples refuses to refund and so far have no way of installing the $100 program I purchased. This is an unbelievable experience from business I have dealt with over the years. The service is pathetic and borders on negligent. Never again will I patronize Staples.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Any time I try to order from Staples, I must do so as a guest. I have actually given up and ordered some products from elsewhere because of how difficult it is to order a product online and or by phone. I create an account and then when I go to use it, it is not acceptable. Within 24 hours, the account which I created and wrote down the info, did not work. I could not "pick up in store". I wound up ordering it to be delivered. I have a feeling that you would have more purchases if you fixed and improved your web ordering or actually had a person come to the phone within 5 hours.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I ordered a magazine stand using my Staples business advantage account. However, I found it at a better price so I called to cancel shipment. I was informed that the order was cancelled and the item wouldn't be shipped. I recently received a email stating that I had an outstanding balance from November 2018. I called to dispute this as I had never received those items. The representative assured me that a dispute would be initiated to have those items removed. A week passed without any additional issues so I placed another order. February 4, 2019 I called to find out why my order was still showing processing, it was then that I was told that my account had been deactivated. I've never missed a payment, in fact I made sure to pay my bills on time because I have a term account. I was transferred to the business credit dept. and told that my account had been deactivated.

The representative then stated they needed to place me on hold in order to do a "business analysis", upon return they stated that my personal credit score wasn't the 700 that they expect from business account so they couldn't reactivate my account. I always paid on time because I'm a fairly new business and working to build my business credit. I don't have a lot of business credit so this account was established to do just that. It's unbelievable to me that I could lose an account in good standing but due to miscommunications on Staples behalf, have it snatched from me without any regard. Staples doesn't care about small businesses.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Worst service I have ever received. There were barely employees; the few that were there had no cross training. If you are a customer service employee or cashier you might not know the specs of the laptops but you should at least be able to tell me how much it is. No one could help me with a price. They kept pointing to a guy, saying he was the only tech there. Well he was busy with a customer who had a million and one questions. So I asked for a manager, they stated that the tech guy was the manager (his name is Monty). I tried to get his attention just so I can get a price on the laptop. That was all! I already viewed it online and did my research now I was here to purchase only.

He acted like he didn't even want to do that. After he gave me the price, I said okay I want to purchase it, he stated that he was with a customer. He goes back to talking to the customer. After I pursue, he states that he is the only one that can grab it. What another inconvenience, you might as well run the store by yourself Monty. If you cannot call on another employee to do a simple job then what are they there for. So I left and came back almost an hour later. Monty was with the same customer. Now I'm angry because I don't feel as though I should have to continue to wait for a customer who clearly is confused and doesn't know what he wants when I am there ready to purchase.

And on top of that the store was closing in about another hour. When I got back I waited about another 15 minutes before I had enough. Finally, he went grabbed the laptop and gave it to the cashier. Something he could of did earlier, I had to drive all the way into downtown Wilmington to pick up my child and back because he took so long when he could have said excuse me to the customer I am just going to get her the laptop.

The room it was in was only 5 feet away from the customer. Would of took 2 seconds as it did when he finally decided to get it. So now here I am at the register finally paying for the laptop, he is trying to sell me other products. "Sir; you was just with a customer and couldn't help me (the customer is still there btw), leave me alone I don't want nothing else from here" is what I'm thinking in my mind. I decline the offer, pay and leave. After I left I realized he didn't want to just give me the laptop because he wanted to give me the sales pitch; and sell me other items. He wasted my time, and my gas. So thank you Monty, your store sucks!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I just returned from Staples in Pelham, Alabama - what a mistake. I went there to buy paper and to have that paper used to print business materials - I was told that Staples will NOT PRINT ON PAPER THAT THE CUSTOMER BUYS AT STAPLES! WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I am no longer a Staples customer and believe me, I will pass this information on to all my business friends.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My company bought office supplies from Staples for over 20 years. Occasionally we needed to return an item. We did not make sure if we got the refunds. In Aug. 2018 we bought an ink cartridge that was not compatible with our copying machine. Staples clerk told us to sent it back via UPS. We sent it back 4 days after we bought it without opening it. UPS took it and gave us a receipt. We tried to remember checking for refunds but did not until today, over 3 months later. The money was never refunded. We called the store. They told us to bring the UPS receipt and Staples receipt to the store to get help. We took pictures of our credit card statements to show the Staples charge and nowhere showed the refund. This makes me suspect how many times in the 20+ years Staples did not refund us for our returns. A customer should not have to worry about whether he/she will get the refund from a returned item. Who has the time to follow something like this?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased a download the end of December for a desktop QuickBooks wanting to move to automated accounting in my small business. After spending 2 days and having 3 very poor conversations with QB team, it was clear that this was a garbage product that requires turning on services driving the cost up to over $1,000/year to record payment to my 1 employee. So I called Staples and they quickly said "downloads have a no-refund policy - see the terms and conditions." I asked to talk with a manager who left me a voice mail just reiterating their policy. So I am stuck with 1 $150 fee to them for a garbage product that I have removed from my computer. They won't stand behind their customers... They would rather stand behind their vendors, so I am done ordering anything online from Staples!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have been trying to talk to my customer service account rep for 2 weeks. We keep getting billed for stuff already paid, was told Staples does not do monthly billing - have been trying to set up account on our company credit card for 2 weeks - no response to email or to calls!!! Terrible Customer service.

Staples Company Information