3.9/5 (688 ratings)

About Staples

Staples Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Staples?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Bought this laptop from Staples because I had bought one in 2011 and received the best of service. This is the reason I bought a second one in July 2021. The machine stopped working and now I am getting the run around. I started calling Staples at 9 am and the final answer from Staples is for me to call HP. I will tell everyone I know, (from the electronic store that I had) and everyone I know from in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick. If Staples loses business SO BE IT.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I ordered 2 3-ring binders and a package of pens on August 14, 2021. The item was supposed to be delivered on August 18, 2021. Every weekday since August 18 (it is a week later), I have received an email telling me that delivery has been delayed and it will be delivered the next day. It turns out that Staples uses outside vendors to complete local deliveries. In this case (near Chicago), they're using Veterans Messenger Service. I called this messenger service and they told me that there is a huge delay and that I won't get the package for another 2+ weeks. If it actually is delivered, it'll be almost a month since I ordered it. Why don't they use USPS or UPS or even FedEx? I don't know. I didn't expect that it'd take a month to get the items, so I had to go out and buy them somewhere else, since I need them now.

Also, since the items already shipped, Staples says that I'm not eligible for a refund. Actually, the only way to get a refund is for Staples to contact the local delivery vendor and have them send the items back to Staples and then 10 days after that happens, I would get the refund. Good luck with that, since the delivery vendor seems to be a total mess. I really don't want to support Amazon or Walmart, but dang, Staples really doesn't have their stuff together (or they use vendors that aren't reliable). I'll never order from Staples again. Learned my lesson.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

As a customer of Staples for many years, I was disappointed at how the store was so dis-organized. We had to ask for what we were looking for as it was not on the shelf. Several staff were standing around, and could have been busy helping to re-stock shelves. As I was paying, I was notified that I had to put in a PIN - my personal number in order to process my payment.

This is new as I have always used my card as a credit and do not put my personal PIN anywhere but the bank. I do not want to use a credit card. The manager informed that if I didn't put in my pin that I could not shop there. She said it is a new system and that is the way it is. I left and ordered everything I needed from Amazon and it was cheaper and will arrive the same day. Shipping Free. It seems to me that store like Staples would want to keep their customers and not lose business to Amazon. I am sorry to say that after many years of shopping at Staples, I won't return.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Bought Printer April 2nd, used it half a dozen times before it started jamming. Called Staples in Newington, NH where I bought it. The "customer service rep" I spoke with asked if I bought the protection plan. (I had to check, it looks like I hadn't) I said, "Assuming I didn't. What's your return policy on something like this," he said "14 days". I said that's it. He confirmed. There was nothing left to say, except for whatever happened to customer service? No wonder Staples stores are closing. I can't say I'm surprised following this recent experience. Good riddance!

Original review: May 5, 2021

I ordered an item online. Attempted to cancel it ten minutes later. Staples policy won't allow this. Therefore I have to return the item to a store which is half an hour away. The store is in another region as well... so according to the present lockdown rules I cannot return this item. I am extremely disappointed and will never shop at Staples again.

Original review: April 18, 2021

Ordered 10 Apple iPads from Staples online. This was my first order ever, from Staples. Two days later I go online, only to find my order has been canceled, but no one knows why. No notification. This is also my last order from Staples. Pure bait and switch online. There's a reason why many of their stores are permanently closed. These people can't be trusted.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Even though the product has a warranty, the company rep agreed it was covered instead of simply returning the product to the store, they send you a gift card. Well this makes no sense, especially in the mail vs online. Well after numerous emails waiting over a month, no gift card. Plenty of ** though. I would not even purchase a pen from this place.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I had to order three items for each of my 18 students in a course I am teaching online. Typing them into the terribly inefficient Staples online webform took me two hours. A box of crayons, a box of pastels, and a roll of paper. I got a notice the next day that all of my orders except one had been canceled. I called Staples and learned that they suspected me of being a reseller. This would be a terrible career given all of the issues - I am a teacher, not a reseller. A very kind and efficient employee took down all of that information again and placed the 18 orders. She gave me a $10 gift certificate for my wasted two hours on the website and an additional hour and a half with her.

Then chaos ensued - Staples ships, not from a central fulfillment place, but from many places - and so there were 18 x 3 shippers and shipments involved. Many of them had problems - they called me and asked the address again (written on the shipping slip), they did not leave the package. There is no preview of the order on the website and so I had to log into every single one of the 18 orders to see if the items had been delivered. Staples sends a notice when delivery is delayed - but they do not put who it was being shipped to - so again, back to the website to see if it was delivered and first to figure out which order it was. Finally, a number of items were returned to Staples and I had to order them from Amazon so the students had them in time. I will not order from Staples again.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I bought a Hon Office Chair HON2091CU1OT and is very disappointing that I was told I only had 14 days to return it. This chair hurts my back really bad, it sits straight up with no give at all, makes noise every time I sit down and makes my butt hurt too. I will never buy anything else from Staples and I am warning everybody do not buy from Staples. They do not honor what they sell. I am disabled and cannot return heavy items because my husband nor I can lift due to heart problems. I tried the chair to see if the problems would get better but it didn't.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I ordered QB desktop on Staples to switch from QB online. I made sure that there was a valid return policy just in case the product did not work out. It didn't so I requested a refund. Not only do they not allow refunds, even though it says refunds available right on the website, but they did not put my review online stating this fact, because it was not a positive review. This made me not trust them and I will never shop there again. Best Buy, or Newegg will get my business now.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Do not order from Staples. Order from Amazon. Their online, delivery, and customer service is trash. The experience was so bad that me and my customers won’t walk into their buildings either. Don’t waste your money or time with this company.???

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Purchased a Lenovo Laptop online (12-28-2020) and spent an hour (4 calls over 2 days) trying to get confirmation of my order! First off, I never received ANY confirmations, NONE! So then I called Staples and was told that my billing didn’t process, something about the billing/shipping address was incorrect (Really?) So I confirmed my addresses and was told they would process the order the next morning and promised an email and confirmation number to document this case-issue.

Calling the next day (no email) I was told my credit card rejected the order (weird) so I called my CC and discovered the purchase was pending, my CC did not decline the order. So I called Staples again and was told my order was cancelled, period. No explanation or options, AND I COULD NOT ORDER OR REORDER A COMPUTER FROM STAPLES. NO COMPUTER FOR YOU! So now I have $811 pending on my charge card, Staples CAN TAKE UP TO 5-7 days to clear and no laptop and a bad taste in my mouth. Quite frankly Staples is ridiculous. No emails or confirmations and false advertising (are they selling laptops or not?). I recommend you find a reputable outlet (NOT STAPLES) for your online purchases. I would also say 1 star is too many. -5 stars would be appropriate. Order # **.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

If I could give negative stars it would be negative 5. Staples in store had no kneeling office chairs. Okay, fine so I use their website. Mind you it’s Dec 23, just 2 days till Christmas. I don’t expect anything to arrive before Christmas. Not a problem. I carefully checked for in stock items, find the chair I need, it’s in stock and so I order it. My bank notification pops off on my phone with this purchase hold and I think good to go. My chair will soon arrive. Not the case at all.

I then get an email saying the item isn’t available and sorry about the bank hold and that’s that. Not trying to be rude here but it’s totally uncool to do a bank hold on my card for over a hundred dollars two days before Christmas and I get nothing. Staples get your stuff together. If it’s not in stock or unavailable DON'T TOUCH MY MONEY. I am done doing business with this company. I will NEVER recommend them and will take my money elsewhere where my bank account (and holiday spending) are respected.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I placed and paid for an order of photo prints 3 weeks ago. I have not received what I ordered and have tried to call and sent repeated emails to get an update with no response. I requested my order be canceled and my money refunded and have gotten no response. At this point they have stolen my money since I paid for a product that they have no intention of fulfilling. Staples is a horrible company. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

The story begin on Nov 25. I bought a laptop online and put a pick up location near to my home. It's in Ocean Township Route 35. At the time of ordering it shows that it is available and available for pickup in 1 hour. On Nov 26 I called the store to confirm that is my pickup ready. They said that, "Yes it is ready. You can pick any time." I went to the store and showed them the order number. Firstly they said they don't have anything to give and manager came to me and said, "We are not answerable if you ordered online." By saying that he said that, "I have other customer. Step out of the line. I don't have time now for this," and suddenly I received any email that my order has been canceled after I went back to my house. Thinking that maybe it's a Black Friday they have not enough laptop.

I ordered a laptop again a different model and confirm by calling to their online service. They said it's available. I placed an order and Nov 30th is given to me for the delivery at home. It was a Cyber Monday and Black Friday was gone. On Nov 30th I called to track my order and again they said that this order has been cancelled. When I asked the associate that why my order is cancelled he said, "I don't know. Let me put you on hold. I will let you know." After a 39 min hold they dropped the call. After that I again received an email that my order is canceled. Again I ordered a laptop via phone with the associate. He said, "I confirm you that laptop is available on Brick location." It's 30 min. drive from my location.

When I went to the Brick location their customer service was so bad that I asked for my laptop he said that, "We are not answerable to you." By saying that the associate left the counter. Then I asked another associate. He was so bad even he shout at me and said, "Don't you understand that we don't have it," and then I called the Staples associate. He said, "We are sorry. We don't have a laptop." So the moral of the story is didn't get any laptop from the Staples and bought a laptop from Best Buy on full price because all the deals were gone. Having a refund of 2500 from Staples and a bad customer service. They are so rude. Please don't order online or even from the store. They will waste your time and money too. 4 canceled orders. 2500 return. Bought a laptop from Best Buy on full price. That's what I get from the Staples.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

On October 26th 2020, I purchased thirty boxes of masks. The website price was $12.99. I actually was charged $20.99 per box. Unfortunately I trusted Staples gave me the discount as their receipt on has the total amount. After I did the math, I called them up and told them I was over charged. The response was there was a 10 box maximum for that discount. I checked over the item description and simulated another check out of thirty boxes. NOT anywhere did it say there is a 10 box maximum. When I called customer service, the best they could do was a $50.00 credit when I am owed $240.00. This is deceptive and wrong, I told them and I will be filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I ordered a printer, and I got the printer I ordered, on time. That is all I can say that is good. The fact that neither before nor after I placed the order was I given a single clue how or when my order would get to me necessitated two calls to customer service. Both times I got people in Southeast Asia who could barely speak English and knew nothing about anything.

Today I received my box with my order. When I got home I found UPS came back and delivered a second box. It was addressed to me, and had my packing slip that was not in the first box, but nothing in the box was anything I ordered, and I'd estimate it cost the purchaser around $1000. Clearly the people at the fulfillment center either plumb don't care or are working far too fast.

Neither my package nor the other package were wrapped; they were just in the boxes that came from the manufacturer with the name of the product, the model number, and the specifications on the outside of the box for all to see. Both packages made it clear they contained expensive electronics. And UPS didn't require a signature as required, didn't even make sure someone came to the door to receive the package, just left package on doorstep.

The person who ordered the second package certainly didn't receive it, and good luck with customer service. When I phoned for a shipping label to send back the package I was sent by mistake, first CSR in SouthEast Asia who could barely understand English insisted on knowing what was in the package - and they can find out that when and if they get it back, and they're already trying to start a conflict the second I call that I got it. I'm not responsible for it, I don't have to send it back, and I won't be arguing with them! Second CSR spoke English but had trouble with what I wanted to send back.

Now I've written to the CEO, making it clear if he wants the package, he WILL send a shipping label and have it picked up at MY convenience, no ifs, ands, buts, arguments, CSR's who can't speak English, or confusion about what I'm sending back, or I'm done with it. I was going to wait and see what happened, but, unsurprisingly, the web seems to be full of terrible reports about Staples! I recommend them NOT!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I place an order the 30th of August. Apparently after been communicated that my order was delivered I contacted Staples to know where it was delivered as I did not received anything. The first reply by Angelo B on the 6th of September was that the parcel was left in the front porch. I replied back that this was unacceptable and that a parcel cannot be left without signature (specially a $400 item). Then the 10th of September Richard V replied back saying that if I did not received my parcel to contact "MY FINANCIAL INSTITUTION". I replied back how unprofessional his answer was and obviously this was a mistake from Staples to deliver things without signature and that they get missed, he did not reply back.

Then the 14th of September I spoke with another agent, this time by chat, his name was Runnel D. After explaining again what happened he said he was going to proceed with a refund and send me an email shortly. Today, 15th of September, I did not get any email and I spoke on the chat with Hobie A. I had to explain again everything and the answer was that someone will contact me in 2-3 days. Plus I have been given a wrong email to send this complaint. Unbelievable!!

I keep contacting them to ask for my money back and every time I get the same time of reply: that the parcel was delivered and to contact my credit card for a refund!! THEY DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR MISTAKE OF DELIVERING THINGS WITHOUT SIGNATURE. I think it is obvious that there is a lack of communication and professionalism in this company. The replies that I get back, the agents not reading or getting informed about previous conversations I had every time, is just not appropriate.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

As a novice, I needed help with doing my printing and even copying. The staff behind the customer desk came over to step me through the process, with patience, explaining the steps as needed. Another time, a line had formed for copying/printing and as I contemplated coming back later, I realized the manager was moving us through so smoothly I realized there was no need to come back later: I was in and out faster than I expected with such a crowd. So glad to have this store in the neighborhood.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Purchased a warranty for laptop. Sent item in for repair due to the screen front and back separating from itself. They fixed that but broke the camera :-( Would have had to waited another 2 or more weeks for the laptop to be sent in and the camera fixed. Could they have not checked to ensure parts like that were working given that they had worked on that area of the computer?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Like everyone else, I had an order canceled. I paid for a laptop, waited a couple days then received a cancellation notice. First, it says they have a shortage on hand sanitizer so my order couldn't be fulfilled. I didn't order any hand sanitizer. What does hand sanitizer have to do with my laptop order? Second, they said the pending funds would be released. They aren't pending. They've already been pulled. It reflects in my bank account as a completed transaction. So now I have to wait a couple days for the refund to process to repurchase a laptop elsewhere. Customer service over the phone was absolutely no help. They just "don't know." The only thing she could tell me was it was out of stock. Well it showed in stock when I purchased it. She then told me it was on backorder. I told her that's fine, just ship it when it comes in stock. She told me that wasn't an option. Staples need to get their inventory in order.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

A very reputable Logitech mouse was ordered online and received without the chip in the packaging. Being very disappointed, I went online to follow the return procedure. What a shock to find such a convenient process! It is very rare for a company to have a return process that is so very convenient. Though frustrated the ordered product is defective, what a relief to learn I am not required to pay postage and experience the headache usually associated with a return! How wonderful I am not required to make an unscheduled visit to the US Postal Service!! Thank you, Staples! You have a new and dedicated customer!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I wasn't a customer to this store and had no choice about having to deal with them, which is why this experience has been so frustrating. I had the unfortunate luck of having my Fedex package forwarded to this store, it was in my wife's name which usually isn't a problem since I have the same address on my photo ID, multiple times this week I've picked up packages in the same way from other locations without issue, when Covid started we called fed ex and asked because my wife has some health issues so won't be leaving very often for the time being, fed ex told us that I can pick up packages, and since then I have been, until now.

Christina **, and Mengmeng ** are the 2 "managers" I dealt with and according to their interpretation into how fed ex delivers packages the rules are a bit different, it can only be the person whose name is on the package who can pick it up, I explained my call with fed ex and pointed out on the door tag where it says "bring door tag and government issue ID with the recipient's address." I also offered to point them to the fed ex website where it states in more detail what I am referring too.

I was told by Christina that she knows what the instructions on the door tag really mean, and it's that the matching name, government ID, and matching address are required even though one of the 3 is not mentioned, and then told me that Staples has their own rules for fed ex packages (which struck me as weird since she just finished trying to interpret and enforce the fed ex instructions on my door slip). If staples has its own rules why debate with me the meaning of what's on the door slip?

Mr. ** told me that it is not their concern that my wife can't leave the house, and that she will have to figure it out. I've still not received my package, and I've just had to spend a hour on the phone with fed ex to get it diverted to another store where I can pick it up, I've double checked while on the phone again, as long as the address on the government id is the same, then the package can be released.

For reference on the day in question I had just finished working 13 hrs delivering freight and I was a lil dirty and sweaty, I also have more than a few tattoos, I have a feeling I was judged or profiled the moment I walked in, although I commend protecting people's items from thieves, I don't feel good about being judged just because I'm a lil tired looking and tatted up, you could have called my wife, or asked fed ex what they would like you to do with their customer, or pretty much anything else but treat me like crap. but here we are, thank you for your understanding during these troubling times staples.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Sent a package from this Staples on Century and Crenshaw in their U.P.S. DEPARTMENT. It never got to its destination. When I went back to ask what happened they said I never brought it there. My bank told me whst date time I dropped it off. So I need gelp finding my package and they will not help.

Original review: June 19, 2020

I made a somewhat large purchase from our local Staples. When my items were rang up and after I ran my card the card reader said approved, but the cashier said it didn’t go through on her end. I was leery of having her rerun it since I saw with my own two eyes that it said “approved”, but I did anyways. The cashier said if there were any issues I could come back, and it would be fixed.

I looked at my bank account and sure enough I was double charged. I went back later in the day and the manager ran my receipt in their system to see what the issue was. She said it didn’t go through twice on their end and that I would need to file I claim with my bank...Well my bank of course said it was not their problem... because it’s not... it’s Staples... Went back again to the store with proof from my bank that I was double charged.. This time I was told it could take up to 72 hours to be reimbursed.. I waited the 72 hours... Lo and behold... I have still not been reimbursed. Went back AGAIN and the same woman gave me a bogus corporate number... Oh and the manager said everything I told her was a “story”. Sorry to be a Karen, but this is probably the most frustrating situations I have had with a store.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Copied 1 document from email. Total said 30¢ but my card was charged $5.00. It has happened before but I overlooked it. I will not use this service again as it should not cost $5 for a 1 page document.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Online Orders are unreliable. Ordered a new office chair from them for pickup at the store. Waited a few days to get any communication about my order and I get an email saying they apologize, but now they are out of stock. They will need a few days to refund my order. I will never shop with them again.

Original review: May 26, 2020

When I placed the order for office supplies, the company guaranteed the exact date of delivery. The order was not delivered on time. After that, the supplier postponed the delivery date five (!) Times, but never delivered the paid order. They just use the customer’s money! Be careful with this company.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Falsely advertised items. A file said it holds 760 sheets but barely holds half that amount. :/ Gave 2 stars as was offered a refund but had no alternative. So I kept the item and they gave me 20% off next order. HOWEVER they give all their customers 15% off so I did not feel this was sufficient compensation.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I ordered this thinking I was getting the full desk. But all I was shipped was the draws and the desk top. It is unusable because there is no cabinet or hutch to attach it to. I contacted support and they are unable to help as they stated that this item is no longer on their master list. Nowhere in the description does it state that anything is sold separately. But why would someone buy an unusable piece of a desk for almost 500 dollars? Also the confirmation of my order only list one item number 357420 and shows a picture of the full desk. But in order for the full desk to be shipped all 3 items numbers of each piece should be listed on the order to make the set. That is why I was shipped one piece. Now unless I get help. I either lose 500 dollars or spend another 500 on the other half of the desk I was unaware was sold separately. Either way it looks like I am out almost a grand.

Staples Company Information