2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (1657 ratings)

About Office Depot

Office Depot and OfficeMax sell office supplies, furniture, school supplies, cleaning products and electronics. With 1,300 stores nationwide, customers can take advantage of Office Depot’s and OfficeMax’s in-store services, including printing, copying, tech services, shredding and storage. All products are available online and in-store.

Office Depot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I purchased a 4K Fire Stick for my TV so I could use the Alexa features to view my Ring doorbell and Lorex security cameras. The purchase price was on sale for $39.99 plus I had $45 in reward points so I used that to pay for the entire purchase with the warranty. It said it was on backorder until Jan 6 which was fine. They emailed a few times between Dec 13 when I ordered and Jan 6th just saying it's backordered even though their website frequently showed it in stock.

Jan 9th they emailed me saying the order was canceled which was annoying because the item was listed in stock with next day or 2 day delivery several times but "whatever" I thought, I'll just reorder. Except when I went to reorder they raised the price $10 to $49.99 plus $9.99 shipping and the warranty was $6 instead of $3 so it went from a $47 order to a $70 just like that plus a month wasted time. I coulda ordered it for $40 from AMZ during Christmas time directly and had it next day but I wanted to use my reward points before they expired in a week. I was ready to let go on them but kept calm to give them a chance to rectify the issue.

I contacted customer support explaining how messed up it is to string me along for a month then cancel my order after jacking the price up $25. They responded back apologizing and said they would honor the original price + shipping as long as I called their support line within 48 hours to approve and complete the transaction as they cannot do it via email support. I called the next morning before work and the wait time was only a couple minutes. I had the matter settled in no more than 10 minutes and the agent even expedited the order for the inconvenience and it arrived the next day.

Even though the issue could've been avoided in the first place, I appreciate their effort and willingness to honor my order price. I leave reviews for products all the time because I always reference them for every purchase I make but don't usually go out of my way to leave a review for a company as a whole but in this case, I felt Office Depot's customer service was definitely worthy of acknowledgement. Thank You Office Depot.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My laptop crashed and I was in need of a quick repair. Blake did a great job of diagnosing & fixed the issue in under 45 minutes. I appreciate his honesty and speed to get me back on the road working again! Thanks Blake!!!

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 8, 2021

I ordered a Dell laptop. I was sent email that the order was received and then that it was shipped and would arrive in two business days. When I looked into tracking the package on the expected day of delivery I saw that it was being shipped by a "third party" but it gave no name. It was not delivered that day. OK it was noted as "expected" delivery. Next day... No delivery. I tried calling Office Depot customer service and was in the loop of "sorry all our agents are busy". Having experienced this before by some companies who never intend to pick up I hung up and called back choosing the "order product" choice. And what do you know someone picked up very quickly. After getting nowhere with the person I could not understand I asked for the carrier's name.

As I waited for a supervisor to pick up (who never did and has yet to call me back as promised) my husband found a number for the carrier Laser Ship. Supposedly they tried to deliver twice but was unable to. Funny... We were home all day both days. Even funnier is that the item was put on the truck at 11:09 a.m. in a city an hour away and then was not able to be delivered at 11:10 a.m. I would advise not to buy from Office Depot and to always ask during any online purchase who the shipper will be. If it is to be Laser Ship run away from ordering.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Charged $156.99 for one TN750 toner with no promised $20.00 credit for the three cores returned. Web site advertised same toner for $97.99. Had to drive back to store which did refund the purchase price hence the 2 stars. Contacted them to discuss and text came back "we are facing some technical issues .... Kindly I request you to please contact us some other time." Obvious management is out of touch with their past good customer service, no surprise stores are closing.

Original review: April 27, 2021

First off, the website is user friendly! I just feel DEFEATED. Paid $182 for a product that I have not yet received. Sat 04/17 - Used their print service online and was told that the product would be delivered Wed 04/21. Thu 04/22 - Called and was told that it was still processing and would be shipped out Fri 04/23 for delivery 04/26. Mon 04/26 (morning around 9AM) - called and was told that they would escalate and I would get a call/email back in 24 hours. Also messaged via Facebook (didn't want to post to put them on blast - no response on this either). Tue 04/27 - called again, job is still processing, no update, and they would reach out in 24 hours.

Original review: April 16, 2021

For about 8 years I have been using the same Office Depot to print a form that I use in my business. They always do a great job, there polices change but that is with every business. My issue is today 04/16/21 I was called by one of the printing personal informing me that my forms was ready. It took me 15 minutes to get there, however when arriving both printing personal was busy. I waited my time and Carla if I have the name right she had Red hair. She stated how can I help in a very sarcastic way. I stated my name and the name of my business, and she stated we do not do cell phone repairs here and I stated that is not what I ask. I stated my name again and that I was there to pick up some forms, stated that there was no forms for my company.

I informed her that someone called my and informed me that they were ready. She went over and ask the other person and she informed her of the forms. She did not say, "I am sorry," or anything. She just started checking me out and gave me the amount. She walked away and ask the other person to finish the transaction. I informed the other person that I felt like I did something wrong, because she was so rude and walked away without saying anything. I would have given Office Depot a 5 star rating but when you experience something like that it makes you think twice about going again if she is there.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I ordered an office chair from Office Depot. The chair was delivered to someone else (a stranger). The recipient called to tell me he had a chair delivered to him with my name and phone number. He called Office Depot to report the error, and the chair was picked up by UPS and delivered on 3/25/21 to Office Depot in Columbus, OH. I have been told by the store manager and customer service that it takes 24 hours to get the refund. It's been 72 hours, and I'm still waiting. The store manager (#6069 Farmington Hills, MI) **, has given me the run around. He should be reprimanded for such horrible customer service. He gave me the 800 customer service number, who says he should have handled it, and that it was out of their hands.

Resolution response: April 17, 2021

Office Depot has resolved our peeling desk top issue. Vera ** from Office Depot was amazing. She initiated a case resolution, followed up with all departments involved, and provided constant update status to us. Then concluded in with Home Nations furnishing a new (replacement) desk top. We are so happy to see this horrible looking desk top replaced. Thank you Vera and Office Depot.

Original review: March 15, 2021

WARNING! Do not purchase any office or any other furniture from Office Depot or Office Max. I purchased an Office Manager Desk and a File case, and the PAPER (THAT’S RIGHT PAPER) laminate is peeling off of both items. I sent a request to HOME NATIONS (Manufacturer of their furniture and outfit that supposedly warrants their products for 5 years) to replace the top of the Managers Desk, which is peeling. Home Nations refused to honor their warranty and said it was normal wear and tear. They indicated the damaged area was from laying my sleeves or hands on the desk not a product defect. AS IF ONE SHOULD NEVER LAY THEIR ARMS ON A DESK OR ANY FURNITURE FOR THAT MATTER.

The problem is they lay a paper laminate on their products and stop at the top edge of the furniture edge, then there is a 1/32 to 1/64 gap at the top. Then they proceed to place the laminate after that gap and wrap around the lip to the bottom of the top. This is peeling waiting to happen. This is not wear and tear. In fact, it’s a major product defect.

What should have been done is to continue from the top of the desk or furniture, wrapping around the curve or straight edge and ending at the bottom of the lip. This would result in no gap to allow for peeling. If one looks on close up pictures on some products on their website, you can see the gap I am addressing. Of course, they do not show many close-up pics of items on their website which would reveal this separation.

I am having the same problem on the file case, purchased at the same time, that has a printer on top of it. Why then is it starting to also peel in the same area? We are certainly not laying our sleeves on hands on it! Recommend not purchasing from either Office Depot or Office Max as THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. IT’S EASY TO BOGUSLY OFFER A 5 YEAR WARRANTY AND NOT STAND BEHIND IT. What a poor excuse for a customer responsive company.

Office Depot response

Hi Alex, I'm sorry to read about the difficulty that you are experiencing with your desk. I'd like to help, could you please send a copy of this complaint along with your contact info (this site doesn't share it with us) to customer.relations@officedepot.com? Upon receipt a member of our Executive Customer Relations Team will connect with you and get this sorted out. Again, I'm really sorry about the difficulty you are running into with your desk.

Sincerely,

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: March 13, 2021

This is not a full service chain -- they just want to sell products, and if they don't work, that's tough 'stuff' for the customer. I'm an older man -- 68 -- and I don't know tech. Some help would be nice. Stores are also understaffed.

Office Depot response

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and your candid comments. I'll make sure we share your review with our retail leadership team.

Sincerely,

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I’ve been trying to get a whiteboard for the past 40 days through Office Depot. I placed order for a dry erase whiteboard which arrived in a super damaged box as if things will fall off if I even lift it. I accepted it considering that boxes tend to get damaged during shipping yet the product is usually in an acceptable condition. I opened the box and most of the crucial parts were missing. I contacted the customer support and got a replacement order placed which arrived super late and to my surprise, it arrived in the same condition as the first package and the parts are missing AGAIN! Also, there is no sign of merchant credit on my payment account and their customer resolution team is never available and responds back after 2-3 days. This is a highly unreliable brand and should probably do all the customers a favor by closing their business because there’s no point in running a business if quality cannot be maintained and customers are not satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Do I have to give it any star since they obviously don't care. Order not arriving. I cancelled and it arrives 5 days later. I called to return it and for two weeks and daily calls and emails still waiting for the promised pick up that never comes. They have the nerve to say I'll get my refund when it gets to their warehouse, like that will ever happen. Asked if I can bring it to the store and they say no. Asked for a shipping label and I'll send it, no response. They are quick to charge your credit card though. This has to be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Purchased a graphics card from Office Depot. Shipping time went from 5 days to 33 days once I clicked purchase. My CC was charged at the time of purchase. The item remained available online for another 1 1/2 weeks. 33 days came and went, no card. Office Depot customer service swore to me that they took care of it, the card existed (I asked several times if it ever existed) they gave me a priority # and said they would rush the card.

36 hrs later I was sent a email stating the order was canceled and that I would get my money back (still waiting). In those 33 plus days waiting for a card that didn’t exist, graphic cards have all but doubled in price. How many others fell for this scam I wonder? They held my money until they couldn’t anymore? I also bought a hdmi-mini DisplayPort adapter for that video card the day after online purchase from my local Office Depot and am now stuck with it because of return policy. I normally shop Newegg, Amazon for tech and learned a lesson from this... Do Not Trust Office Depot!

Office Depot Company Information