2.71/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

877 Office Depot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

On December 072018. I open an Office Depot account to purchase Lenovo® IdeaPad 320 17 Laptop, 17.3" Screen, 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows® 10 Home, 80XM0000US. Order Number: ** Order placed: 12/07/2018. I received a phone call saying that I would be receiving it on 12/19/2018. I also called on 12/18/2018 to confirm delivery because it still showed processing in my orders. 12/20/2018 I called again regarding the status and was told it was on back order and I wouldn't receive my order before Christmas.

Today I called to get a shipping estimate on the back order item and did not receive a coherent answer. The gentlemen I could not answer if I would be receiving my order or not. This has been a very frustrating experience being that my order was delayed and no one can tell me when or if my order will be shipped. As of 01/21/2019, the issue has not been rectified. I have missed sales opportunities from other businesses while being deceived by Office Depot Customer Service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Went to shop to print 20x20 size black and white copy around 8.45pm, 01/17/2019. In print section, one lady helping customer with big order, after waiting 3 min, she broke conversation with other customer and addressing me and point out self service. I told her before using service I need pricing info. She said, "Will be back in couple of minutes," and made me to wait till 9 pm. After finish up with other customer she came to me and told that not able to do the print today. All my required conversation took 2 min max. After me no other customer. Then I started to tell her that, "Just to inform this you made me to wait for 15minutes." Until that time she was normal. After she hear what I said she raised her voice and cut me in and telling that, "This is how we do it."

At that time other lady closing the store and joined the conversation and asked what happened. After listened, she also started shouting at me and worsely started racist comments like any country service is like this only. I felt like by see my color she passed comments like this. Her facial gestures turned to angry at me. While doing conversation she rushed me to door and laugh at me sarcastically. I never felt fear before like this today with these two ladies at OfficeMax today. Also they shout at me for stopping by at late hours. Today OfficeMax loses the customer. By look at the customer service I can understand how the OfficeMax is doing business.

I understand their frustration at closing time. I am not sure about my work how long will take and their rush hours. I just want to stop by and check whether my job can be done now or not. I am just trying to tell them to use little common sense while handling waiting customers. Take a couple of minutes, break from long job customers and address the waiting customers and tell them their waiting time. Customers will decide to wait or not.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Went into store for computer problem. Help desk was very knowledgeable and took care of it. Recommended the tech support program, so I signed up for auto pay. Requested online assistance in Jan, programmer kept moving things around and putting things in recycle bin. Problem not solved and recycle bin was not emptied. Requested assistance again today, no resolution again. Requested cancel and was in one year subscription with early cancellation fee. First month only can cancel without fee. TOTAL WASTE!!!!

Hi Jackie,

I'm sorry this happened to you, it is certainly not the experience we want our customers to have. I'll be having our team reach out to you and we'll escalate the matter so that the problem is solved.

Thanks,

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I ordered a desk and decided to cancel my order the following day and they went ahead and canceled it. However, the item still shipped and I was told to refuse the order, which I did. Well they still took the money out of my account and I am now told it will be 7-10 days until I get a refund. That will be a total of almost two weeks that it took to refund my money. This is completely unacceptable.

Office Depot response

Brandon - Thanks for your feedback. We will look into this and follow up with you to resolve the issue.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

On Jan 3rd, I ordered an AKRacing Master Series Max gaming chair in Indigo color. The chair was on sale on the website for $349 plus an additional 20% off coupon made my total $299 and change. I was sent an email stating delivery would be on Jan 10th. I checked their tracking link on the 6th to verify the delivery date and was pleasantly surprised to find that the date had been updated to Jan 8th, Great! On Jan 8th, the chair failed to arrive, so I called customer service to inquire. I was told that someone would call the next day to inform me of the status and updated delivery date. However, the next day a woman called and said that Office Depot would not be able to fulfill my order and it would be cancelled.

All the while, the same item was on their website, now off sale at $499, as available and in stock ready for shipment. Makes me wonder if someone realized the price I was paying and said, "We can't let it go for that!" My question is, why did they not say, "We will ship the chair as soon as it is available, but may take extra time." Or, now that it is presumably, according to the website, back in stock; allow me to purchase the chair at the same price I ordered it for originally? Seems like spotty customer service to me with a lack of communication and accuracy between humans and the website. Makes me wonder if orders can be placed with Office Depot websites with any confidence of accurate fulfillment.

Office Depot response

Thanks for your feedback, I'm sorry we disappointed you with the delivery of your chair. Our team will be reaching out to you directly, within the next 24-48 hours if not sooner, to help sort this out and make things right.

Office Depot, Inc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I attempted to purchase a printer and use the 20% off coupon online. It would not take the coupon. I got on chat. And the party on chat told me the coupon does not apply to sale items. I advised him the printer is not on sale and then he says, "Oh coupons are not good on technology products." I advised him that I will not be making the purchase there. They obviously use coupons to lure you to the purchase but then do not honor them.

Office Depot response

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry we disappointed you.

Our coupon offers typically aren't able to be used with technology and consumer electronics products due to the fact that those products are already priced in an extremely competitive manner.

We will share your experience with our marketing team for their review. Thank you very much for your comment.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered a computer gaming chair for gift that I wanted for Christmas. I knew the order wasn't going to arrive before the 25th because I ordered late but the order was suppose to arrive on the 27th at the latest. On the 27th it never came. I contacted them over the phone and they responded saying, "We will get back to you as soon as we know the arrival of your package." Four days later with no contact from them I call again, they respond the people in charge of my order will contact me tomorrow. On the second of January they email me saying that my order is on backorder and they will not have it in stock until the 15th plus 3-5 days of shipping. I called today the 3rd of January and told them how disappointed I was and they offered no way to compensate me but by a measly %15 back from my order. I told them I want my money back and to cancel the order and that I will never do business with them again and I advise no one else to either.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I needed item to organize things prior to having open heart surgery. Wasted a week because Office Depot deleted my order the same day I placed it but didn't tell me, and their automated system kept telling me the order was being processed and that it would be delivered on schedule. It was only when it didn't arrive, and I talked to a live customer service rep that I was told that the order had been deleted on the same day that I had placed it (i.e. 4 days earlier). I ended up ordering the item from another company because I could no longer trust Office Depot, and because of the delay, I am struggling to put my business matters in order before I go to the hospital for a triple coronary artery bypass.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Early November I ordered a customer assembled desk from Office Depot. The delivery date was for the 19th of November. They called me the day before to be sure I would be home to accept delivery. I stayed home all day and they never showed up or called. I called customer service and was assured that they would deliver the next day on the 20th. Didn’t happen. I called customer service again, and again was assured 100% guaranteed that they would deliver on the 21st. Never happened. On the 22nd, I cancelled my order and asked for my refund. I was told I had to bring the desk (that I never received) to a store. After many phone calls and hours of holding, I finally got them to understand that I never received the desk. Now, it’s into January, and I still have not had my $368 refunded. Office Depot is the most poorly run operation that I’ve ever had the misfortune of doing business with. When they go under (not if) it will be their own fault.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I ordered a laptop and then promptly returned on 12/2. They wouldn’t accept the return in the store, so I called and got a return authorization. It is now 12/31 and I still don’t have my $349 credit OR the laptop. I have a string of emails saying the return is being processed, but it has never gone through. I will NEVER do business with Office Depot again!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Ordered 12-26, paid for by 11:00 AM shipping. You divided order into 2 packages. 1 shipped 12-26, the other 12-27. First arrived 12-27. It is 12-30 and second has not arrived yet. We are in an RV park in Long Key, FL and must leave tomorrow 12-31. We hoped to leave early in AM as we have a long drive. The adapter we are waiting for controls the brakes for our towed car. I would never trust you to mail order anything again or suggest anyone else to.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a desk at the end of November. After not getting it a few days after the expected delivery date I called where they said they would re-order it for me. I then got an email the next day saying my re-order was canceled due to "bad weather" in my area. We never had bad weather. I then called to ask when they were going to re-ship it then and she said she would put the request in and I would get a call within 24 hours. Never got the verification email that she re-ordered it again and was never contacted. A week later I emailed asking about it and told them if I was not going to get the package I wanted a refund. I have waited two weeks now with no package.

Called them tonight they said they could only give me a refund if I returned the package THAT I NEVER GOT. I called and explained it to them. They said my package was still in the warehouse so I would be getting my refund in 3-5 business days. MY PACKAGE WAS NEVER EVEN SENT OUT AFTER CALLING OVER 5 TIMES ABOUT IT. Highly unhappy with service. Will be reviewing just about everywhere I can to let people know their service is horrible. It does not matter how good the "deal" is, I will never EVER order from them again. Not for my home stuff or even now the bank that I order thousands of dollars worth of equipment for from them usually. They just lost a pretty big client.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

If I were to rate on product and delivery, I wouldn't give one star. However, contacting the seller was extremely frustrating. This item was not taxed in my state. Amazon contacted the seller on my behalf, twice. I contacted the seller, numerous times; I lost count. The response, a good five times was, "we need your tax-exempt number." My response was that the item was not taxable in my state. The response back to me, several times was, "we need your tax-exempt number." Obviously, the various people that did respond did not understand English, and they did not research the fact that the coffee creamer was not taxable in my state. I consider this lousy customer service, and I won't buy from this seller again.

I don't have time to waste. Had they said that they found out the item was in fact taxable in my state, I would have thought they might have understood English and did some research, erroneous as it might have been. However, obviously, there is a script they follow without any thought. Office Depot, you need to hire people who understand English and can actually operate without a script. If they don't know how to operate, they should at least send the message to a supervisor. Your service is abominable. I have given you every chance before I sent my negative feedback, but obviously, you do not care about your customers. Oh, and by the way, I have never given any business one star before. You are the first.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I will NEVER use Office Depot again. I placed an order for about $200.00 of office supplies on Thursday 12/13. Was pleasantly surprised that it could be delivered next day delivery for free. Got an email saying it would be delivered Monday 12/17. Fine. Monday morning received an email that it was delivered at 9 am. Problem is, it was never delivered. It was dozens of items in 5 different cartons supposedly. But no one in the office had seen it or the delivery driver. Thought maybe driver had lied about delivery and it would come the next day.

When we hadn't received it by Tuesday 12/18, I logged into account online and tried chatting with a rep. When I explained my problem, the first rep passed me on to another person. She seemed very nice. Said she would forward a request to the support team to check with carrier and would reply to me within 24 hours. LIES. Gave me a reference number but no one ever followed up by email or phone call.

On Thursday, 12/20 I started another chat with another rep. Explained again the situation and they couldn't say if they ever reached out to driver or not. Refused to answer me when I questioned her about that. Only could tell me that my original order had been canceled and that a reorder was pending. I asked her why, I had not authorized that. And why had I not been notified. That's their process apparently. Couldn't give me an answer. Then I find out that the reorder is going to cost me about 20% more than original order.

When I protested she said she could try to help me. Supposedly she had 'technical issues' and it took about 30 minutes for her to reply and say she had adjusted price and that she would need a phone number for a rep to call me for credit card info to place the order. When I didn't reply within 30 seconds, after her being idle for almost 30 minutes she disconnected the chat and closed the window.

I immediately tried to open a new chat, with a different rep again, explain the whole long story of what had happened. Took her a few minutes to look into it and tell me the reorder is pending payment now. And that it actually was still for slightly more than the original. Not wanting to waste another half an hour trying to adjust the price again. I told her the price was close enough, I just needed to pay with credit card to get order processed. Was told I would have to pay through customer service department. That they would call me to process payment. I gave her my phone number and was told a callback was scheduled for within the hour. Also asked if she could provide a delivery date and was told Friday 12/21, but that might be adjusted upon payment. LIES.

I waited for over 2 hours, never received the callback. Finally was frustrated and called them. The customer service agent that answered was barely intelligible and could not understand me when I told him my name. I had to shout it 5 times before he understood me. Told him I wanted to provide credit card information to process a pending order, since it wasn't possible to do this online (why you can't do this online also baffles me). Got that taken care of and he says ok, order will be delivered Wednesday 12/26!! When I asked why he told me I had missed the 5 pm cutoff for next day delivery and that both Monday 12/24 and Tuesday 12/25 there are no deliveries because of Holiday. I told him that wasn't my fault, that this all was a screw up on their end and that their reps never called back when they promised that they would. All he kept repeating was it will be delivered 12/26. Or that he could delay shipment for even longer!

The whole idea was to have these item before the Holiday and not run into this problem with delivery. I could have gone to the store and purchased these items in half the time it's now taken to deal with multiple lying reps that just say, "I'm sorry, let me look into it", but then never give you an answer or actually take care of anything. I can almost guarantee, by reading the many other reviews that say the same thing, that I will have problems getting the original refunded to my card!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I bought this monitor from Office Depot for a Black Friday sale online last Nov 22nd. I received an email on Nov 27th that my order was shipped Nov 25th and gave me UPS tracking info. I checked almost every day to track it and the UPS website shows "Order is on its way..." but if you look closely only the label was created. - Lie # 1 I really believe the Item was never shipped at all. All instances I mentioned below were just a succeeding bunch of lies because in the first place, no monitor was shipped.

2 weeks later (I really think this is enough time to follow up), Dec 8, I sent a text message to Office Depot for follow up as I have not receive the monitor. The rep responded apologizing that they will take care of it. Gave me a request number and that someone will call me back to find out and will give me the delivery date. The following day I got a voice message where the rep told me my order will be delivered Dec 13. - Lie #2 The monitor never arrived as promised. Dec 11 - received an email from Office Depot asking me for a review on the product. "What do you think about the Dell monitor?" Are you serious? So I still wrote a review stating I cannot review a product I never received and that they need to resolve this issue.

Dec 15 - I texted Office Depot again. Enough time again to know that my order is still not delivered. The rep again apologizes and told me it was taken cared of and that someone will call me back with an answer. Gave me a request number. The following day, a rep left a voice message apologizing. The reason it was not delivered is due to a snowstorm and that it will be delivered soon. Lie #3 Really? Again the tracking number in UPS still shows "Order is on its way..."

Dec 16 - received an email stating my review was rejected because it is not within their guidelines. Duh! It is just one way of reaching out to emphasize they did not deliver the monitor. Dec 18 - I received a voice message apologizing that my order was lost in transit. They placed another order on my behalf but I have to call to confirm. An email was also sent for the details. So I actually received 2 emails. 1st email stated they successfully refunded me per my request. Lie #4. I never requested any refund. They did it without my consent. 2nd email stated they placed another order with the same specification and amount but cannot complete the order until payment is made. What??? Seriously?

Dec. 19 - I finally called Office Depot twice. 1st call - The choices from the automated message are "I want to place an order" or "I want to track my order". I chose the latter. Okay so I asked the rep about the email and verified if I need to pay again with the 2nd order. The rep confirmed that I will have to make a payment with a credit card so the order can be placed. I said I would but I need to understand what happened. It is not my fault that the item was lost in transit and I did not request for a refund. The rep said there is a process and that they did the best they could. They cannot process a payment with a PayPal account. The rep suggested for me to call PayPal to check for the refund.

I said I will not make any more payment without getting the refund. Before I hang up I wanted to make sure as soon as I contacted PayPal and if ever I will make another payment that this time Office Depot will be able to deliver the monitor. I pointed out that the reason for the reorder is that there was a back order. I also wanted to make sure that it will be delivered ASAP. The rep checked and told me that there are 45 items in the warehouse so this time it will be delivered. She cannot give me an exact shipment date until payment is received. I insisted so she said that it will actually be delivered the following day based on the information if the order was placed on the 18th. Lie #5 Read the 2nd call why.

2nd call - So before I called again, I called PayPal first as suggested. I found out that there was no refund credited at all. I filed a dispute for a refund anyway. Note that Paypal states that it will take at least 20 days for the refund to process. I called back Office Depot furious telling the rep the refund is not there. The rep apologized if the previous rep was not clear but it will take 2 to 3 business days for the refund to reflect in the PayPal's account. I said I don't know if I will still believe it anymore because PayPal said 20 days. I posed a question again. Is it correct that I will need to pay Office Depot again when I'm not really sure if the refund will even come? I will not be paying anymore until I receive a refund. She said that's fine and that I can call back after 2 to 3 days. It will take time to place an order anyway because it will be ordered at a 3rd party vendor - directly from the manufacturer. They cannot guarantee when it will be shipped.

I said "wait a minute, the previous rep just told me you have 45 items in your warehouse and that it can be delivered the following day if I pay now?" She said it is not true. Apologized again that the rep misinformed me and that there is 0 stock in the warehouse even if I checked from other stores they have 0 inventory. The shipment will come directly from the manufacturer.

What a bunch of lies. I hang up the phone. I rechecked the tracking number that was given to me on the email. Again all those information are true. Why can't they tell me the first time that it is until now in backorder? Shipment never left their warehouse yet instead of giving me a bunch of lies and ended up as lost in transit! I am not going to buy from Office Depot ever again! Shipment Confirmation # **.

Donna,

I'm very sorry for the run around and poor service that you received from Office Depot. This is not the way we intend to do business and we'd like to make it right. A member of our team will be reaching out to you to ensure that your refund has been issued and to otherwise make it right.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I purchased an item from Office Depot. I later called to change the payment method I used. The agent decided to cancel the first purchase and reorder the same item again. They delivered the first item regardless of my request to cancel it and charged me double. Apparently, the agent failed to cancel it. Not a problem. I just requested for a return. They told me someone will call me to schedule a pickup time.

It's been over 3 weeks and the item has still not been picked up. I have spent countless hours to call their customer service but each time, I am told someone will call me in about 2-4 hours to arrange a pickup. That has never happened. What is even more pathetic is that they have failed to refund my money back to me because of their own failure to come pick up their item from my garage. I am having to accommodate their item in my garage for free while they keep my money. The agents I talk to refuse to let me talk to their supervisor and have been outright rude in some instances. I feel they keep transferring my call and putting me on hold for long periods just to frustrate me. I am not going to make another purchase from Office Depot.

Office Depot response

Thank you for your feedback. We take customer feedback very seriously and our team will use your feedback to make necessary improvements.

A member of our team will also be reaching out to you to ensure that the item has been picked up and your refund issued. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Office Depot, Inc.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I placed an order on 11-28 with a delivery date of 12-10. On the website it shows the order was shipped on 12-03, but no further details and no carrier listed to contact to see where the order is. I've talked on the phone with their 800# and also online chat with the help dept. All they get is that it is either going to be delivered "today" or is being referred to their resolution team for further investigation. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I live on an island in Northern Michigan, and the shipment needs to be delivered to our local ferry for shipment to the island. Am trying to contact the carrier to verify they have this information, but cannot get anywhere with their help desk either on the phone or chat. Very frustrating, I also order a table at the end of Sept that never showed up. Got the money back but no idea where the table ever ended up.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a Serta chair online as a gift for my father-in-law. We took the chair to his house to assemble it. The back of the chair was placed on a carpeted service, so we did not notice the tear in the leather until it was fully assembled and my father-in-law had fallen in love with the chair. I contacted customer service to find out if it was possible to have them send a replacement back piece or if I could get a credit for the amount it would take to get it repaired. Without speaking with me, they decided to only resolution was to have them pick up the chair and I would not get another chair as a replacement. I have explained numerous times that the chair is not at my home and will not be if they show up to pick it up. Each response is the same, "This is what we are doing," not, "What can we do to reach a positive resolution for the customer." I will never shop at OfficeMax/Office Depot again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I was looking for a good deal on a laptop this holiday season and finally settled one from Office Depot that came with a free Google home mini and had $25 cashback from retailmenot.com. I placed my order and waited for it to be delivered. While waiting for delivery I watched as many of the other deals ended which was fine because I had already made my purchase. I called Office Depot to find out when they would ship my laptop and they said it would ship on 12/15/2018. A few days later they sent me an email notifying me that they had canceled my order because they were unable to fulfill it. I contacted them to complain and was told they would call me back 7 hours later... they never called. I also emailed them and received no help, instead they tried selling me laptop with lower specs for double the price.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I made an online purchase for a large sit/stand desk from Office Depot's website on Cyber Monday. Which mind you did not work, the website was failing as I was attempting to buy using my credit card. So I called instead, since that was what was recommended. I made the purchase on the phone and received shipping information which was correct to my place of business. After looking at the tracking on the day I was expecting it to arrive. I realized they SHIPPED MY PACKAGE TO THE WRONG ADDRESS (nowhere near where it was intended to be).

I'm a short/petite woman and they actually suggested that I move it myself to the correct location. IT WAS COMPLETELY THEIR ERROR. The desk came in a box weighing at least 80 lbs being at least 4-5 ft long. THE GALL OF THIS COMPANY!! I have complained on two occasions before I got help from FAMILY MEMBERS to move the package. With no response to anyone from customer service even after I sent them proof that they sent it to the wrong address. I will take my business elsewhere!!! SUCH A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. My hand still hurts from having to deliver my own package to myself because of their error!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I made a purchase which had a Darden restaurant e-gift card as part of the promotion. I have never been able to obtain the e-gift card. Tried for months. Watch out for Office Depot promotions. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

On the Thanksgiving day, I placed an order online for a laptop and selected the shipping to be Store Pickup. My card was charged on the same day and received the order confirmation email that said I can pick up the order within 5 days or otherwise it will be canceled. I went to the store on the 2nd day and was shocked to know that my order was canceled. I never received any communication regarding the cancellation. When asked why, the store employee was saying, it is their corporate instruction to cancel the orders that were not picked up on the Black Friday and directed me to call their 1-800 number for any further clarification. I was so frustrated and felt like cheated. The system is not so updated that, when I called the 1-800 number on Monday, the agent said, "The order is still ready for pick up." Lol, I explained her and she took few minutes to see the updates in her system.

After listening to all my frustration, she promised me to call me back by end of that day. I asked her for a ticket number for my case (because I don't want to go through explaining all this with another agent next time), but she said, she is recording all this under my order. As I expected, never got the call until this moment, so, I called them again and to my huge surprise, another agent was saying the same, my order is ready for pickup. I explained him all again and he took several minutes and came up with a false reason that, they were unable to charge my card and so the order was canceled. Weird and absolutely false. I have the proof that my card was charged on the same day.

Not being wanted to continue the conversation with him anymore and asked to transfer the call to his supervisor, but he did put me to the same store's person. That guy was going over the same thing and finally they are saying they will try to get me the same laptop for same price. I refused it because I don't want to trust these company anymore. But, I need the answer for why it is canceled and why I was misinformed. I don't want your apologies anymore.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I tried several times to leave a review on the OD site about an Epson projector I bought at OD. My reviews kept on being rejected because I told the truth. The projector was advertised as having WiFi. I had to buy a separate LAN module to make that happen. I then discovered that the projector would not allow me to run iOS apps - even though the description of the projector said I could use my iPad. I was wrong in assuming that I could run iPad apps. The only way to use iOS is to load IMAGES to an Epson folder using iTunes. What is Epson thinking? The only way to run iOS apps on this projector is with AppleTV. OD will not allow me to help other consumers avoid the hassle and waste of time assuming that the product works as it should.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I ordered a computer, website said it would be delivered the following day. It did not arrive so I contacted the company and they said because of the holiday it will arrive sometime on Monday. No time given. Every other company that I ordered product from has been able to give me correct delivery dates.

Hi Starleen,

Thanks for your feedback. Your delivery email confirmation should have provided a delivery date, and you also should have seen an estimated date at check-out. Our normal delivery hours are 8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday-Friday. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please visit officedepot.com to chat with us. You can also call or text us at 800-463-3768 24/7 and we'll be happy to help.

Office Depot, Inc.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We bought a desk for our office over three months ago. It must have weighed 200lbs, and was clearly dragged across our driveway and left against my garage. Not surprisingly, when we started unpacking we noticed the corner of the desktop was smashed up. While my wife was on the phone with customer service, I continued unpacking, assuming we could just replace the desktop. The further I got the more damaged pieces I found. They said it would take about 2 weeks to get the replacement pieces, and as I’d taken the day off specifically to get the desk/office together, we decided to just return it and go buy a new desk.

All of this, we understood happens, and didn’t have an issue with. They told me that I didn’t have to rebox it (which I would’ve needed an engineering degree to fit the thousands of pieces back into these boxes) but they wouldn’t take it back up or downstairs. So I reboxed it as best as possible and brought it out to my garage, as they said it would be picked up in a day or two. We, call, email and text, and cannot get anyone to pick this thing back up. They say someone will show up, we make sure someone’s home, and no one comes. We call customer service, and they say they will have a supervisor call us back. They never do. This has been going on for 3+ months, and I just received a $1400 bill that included late fees. Again, call, a promise for a callback, and no word. This is the first time I’ve ever posted a bad review, I'm just hoping this finally grabs their attention and makes them handle it.

Office Depot response
Hi Scott - I'm sorry to read about this poor experience. Help is on the way, someone from our team will be reaching out to you today to sort this out.

Office Depot, Inc.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Updated on 11/29/2018: Since the follow-up comments are evidently not made public, and resolution is absolutely NOT in progress, the following is in addition to my original complaint for Office Depot’s false advertising. The original complaint was filed on 11/19: Your previous correspondence has been nothing but numerous different ways of rewording the same thing you have said here, so they absolutely do not provide any ‘further clarification’ other than to show that Office Depot either employs a lot of dumb people or else corporate has instructed everyone to lie. The offer wasn’t simply ‘double back’, it was double back IN REWARDS, which is very different.

Even if you ignore the fact that the wording of the promotion was changed, by the company, AFTER I made my purchase, no one has explained how “double back in rewards” and “double rewards (4% back)” are supposed to mean the same thing, or why if they did mean the same thing there would be a need for the two to be written so differently. Especially considering the fact that every other deal over the past year that has stated “X amount back in rewards” (10% back in rewards, 20% back in rewards, 50% back in rewards, 75% back in rewards, 100% back in rewards) the amount BACK IN REWARDS is the amount of the purchase price (10% of the PURCHASE PRICE, 20% of the PURCHASE PRICE, 50% of the PURCHASE PRICE, 75% of the PURCHASE PRICE, 100% of the PURCHASE PRICE) back in rewards.

At the same time, I’ve also seen lots of deals where the rewards amount is multiplied instead of the purchase price, but those ALWAYS specify the percentage of the purchase price as well - for example, double rewards (4% back), triple rewards (6% back) 5X rewards (10% back) etc. Based on the wording of the promotion, and the wording of every single previous deal over the past year, any reasonable consumer would understand double BACK IN REWARDS to mean double (200% of) the purchase price back in rewards. Also, one of your reps stated that since no one else has complained it is not an issue - however that rep also lied and stated that I had received a gift card from the company as compensation so they obviously aren’t the most trustworthy to begin with, but just because (supposedly) no one else noticed you ripped them off does not make it okay or mean that it did not happen.

If you were so sure that you did not rip off your customers you wouldn’t have such an issue allowing your customers to post uncensored reviews on your page. So any customer reading this who bought any type of writing item during 9/30-10/13 should file a complaint with their Attorney General’s office and the Florida BBB, and let a class action attorney make that decision whether I’m “misunderstanding” or whether the promotion was in fact changed, as is evidenced by the before and after screen shots.

Original Review: Office Depot advertised a promotion for double back in rewards on all writing from 9/30-10/13. On 10/6 I purchased some writing items, but I only received 4% back instead of double (200%) back. The rep informed me that the deal was actually double rewards (4% back) instead of double back in rewards, even though my screenshot of the deal says differently. Office Depot changed the wording of the deal after the fact and then refused to honor the deal as it was written at the time of purchase.

It is very poor customer service to refuse to honor an advertised promotion, but changing the promotion in an effort to confuse customers and get out of honoring it is deceptive and shady. Customer service has been terrible and after arguing back and forth for several weeks the rep finally told me I can return the items if I have an issue with it or else hire a lawyer to pursue the false advertising. When a company would rather get lawyers involved than honor their own promotion that says a lot about the company. But at your own risk and be sure to screenshot every step of the way.

Hi Christina,

Thank you for your feedback. The particular offer you mentioned was "double back" meaning that you would earn 4% back in rewards on the select products rather than the usual 2% back. We have previously sent you private correspondence, please refer to those emails for further clarification about this matter.

Office Depot, Inc.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

What has happened to Office Depot? They used to be THE place to shop. Now when I go there it's like a ghost town. Even though there are NEVER more than one or two customers there (me included), NONE of their employees EVER ask if they can help. They can see you wandering the aisles or trying to find something on the shelves and they say NOTHING. They just glide serenely past as if they don't even see you. I've complained about this several times and one of Office Depot's managers wrote that this was because the store was doing inventory and everyone was busy. If this were true it would mean they are doing inventory every time I walk in. As usual, employees are always wandering about doing NOTHING. And even if they were doing inventory, whatever happened to saying hello and asking the customer if she needs help?

I do a LOT of printing (or at least I try to) at Office Depot because I'm a writer and I have to print out my book drafts. My books have hundreds of pages so I send my order via email and then follow up with a phone call to see when the order will be ready. My pages are NEVER printed on time. No matter how many hours or days ahead I order my prints, they're NEVER ready when I get there. There's always only one or two customers ahead of me, and there's always a store full of employees, but I still have to stand in line nearly 20 minutes to get my copies.

Today I just found out that all my reward points have disappeared and I'm back to 0 but no one can tell me why. I tried to chat with an Office Depot rep, but he or she COULD NOT understand me and COULD NOT construct a sentence in correct English. After I said I was going to complain, he or she told me I MAY have $0.31 cents in rewards.

I'm very sad about Office Depot. Over the years I have spent BIG money buying computers, printers, iPads, two Roku streamers, paper, ink... You name it. But as of today I have decided that this poor store is no longer worth the frustration of trying to shop in it or get help. I don't know if Office Depot has stopped caring or if they are simply circling the drain as they die a slow and agonizing death. PS - THEIR WEBSITE "SUBMIT" BUTTON DOESN'T WORK!!! I was trying to file a complaint on their website but I guess that's out. I don't think they really want to know what customers have to say.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This company is the worse and deserves to go out of business! On 10/08/2018 I ordered a desk to place in our home office from their website. Two; that’s right TWO boxes of THREE showed up. When we noticed this as we were putting the desk together, we checked in on the third box and contacted customer service asking what was going on. So we were told and “promised” the last box would arrive that following Tuesday. WRONG! The freaking box was dropped off somewhere in CONNECTICUT! I live states away from Connecticut! I’m in the Midwest! Still NO PACKAGE and it’s now NOVEMBER 1! This company is a joke and we are extremely angry! This was NOT a cheap purchase and no one can help us.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Office Depot has a great selection. Their prices may not be the best but I have never had an issue in one of their stores. Their website/emails however are terrible. I ordered some supplies for my job and now I get 10 emails a week. I went to unsubscribe from emails and Office Depot is intentional on making it difficult to do this. Every email from a retail company I know of has an unsubscribe button or link at the bottom of an email. Office Depot hides their link deep in a long paragraph which is labeled "subscribe to more email content for deals". They clearly don't want you to unsubscribe to their emails so they make it appear as if their link is for you to sign up for MORE emails.

They do have a separate link that is surrounded by no text by itself that says manage preferences alluding to no other information as to what preferences. Upon clicking it takes me to an account information update page, not to the notification update page. They didn't even have tab that says update email preferences just a link to subscribe for MORE promotions. Upon clicking that subscribe for more link, it gives you the option of unsubscribing to all. As someone who works in marketing, this method is genius, but also infuriating. This method of subscription is geared towards making it inconvenient to unsubscribe to emails. I just don't trust a company that will use this level of trickery to get you to look at their products.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Purchased a computer desk, but too many parts to assemble so took it back for assembly. The staff did not acknowledge the customer's entry to store and when we said hi and asked for help with the product return, one employee was reluctant to get started to hear us. Then there was an old man working at the register who was easily over 80 and kept showing me his hand to move for the next person in line. I am not sure if he was not young enough to speak up or just an old grumpy man who was working at his age in a service oriented business. What is wrong with the management at this store on Crown Valley, Mission Viejo, Ca.

Office Depot Company Information