2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (2135 ratings)

About Office Depot

Office Depot and OfficeMax sell office supplies, furniture, school supplies, cleaning products and electronics. With 1,300 stores nationwide, customers can take advantage of Office Depot’s and OfficeMax’s in-store services, including printing, copying, tech services, shredding and storage. All products are available online and in-store.

Office Depot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I had an extended one year service plan ($129.99) with Office Depot and the plan was up for renewal. Office Depot sent me an email informing me that it would automatically renew unless I cancelled. I cancelled it immediately, as I didn't use it except for the original repairs. Well, Office Depot not only charged me for the service but the following day, charged me again! $260.00 taken out of my account AFTER I canceled! I called their customer support, and 4 hrs. and 4 customer support people later, they agreed I had canceled and verified it was canceled correctly but they refused to credit my account! I was told it had to go to a customer review board for their approval before my bank account would be credited.

Plain and simple, do you want to do business with a company who has your credit card number, takes a large amount out of your account without approval, and then refuse to admit their mistake or refund your money? I'll never do business with Office Depot again. I strongly recommend you don't either. Money grab by a large corporation who seems to not be able to compete against their competitors.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Manager at Richmond VA store. Office Depot does not back up products their products, sold under their name. Not even a white out product, cost just a few dollars. Dollar less than Name Brand did not work after only one use. Went back to store. Only wanted exchange, not my money. Manager refused and was disrespectful to customer. I don't complain usually. But will not be a customer anymore. M.T.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2021

I ordered a Dell laptop. I was sent email that the order was received and then that it was shipped and would arrive in two business days. When I looked into tracking the package on the expected day of delivery I saw that it was being shipped by a "third party" but it gave no name. It was not delivered that day. OK it was noted as "expected" delivery. Next day... No delivery. I tried calling Office Depot customer service and was in the loop of "sorry all our agents are busy". Having experienced this before by some companies who never intend to pick up I hung up and called back choosing the "order product" choice. And what do you know someone picked up very quickly. After getting nowhere with the person I could not understand I asked for the carrier's name.

As I waited for a supervisor to pick up (who never did and has yet to call me back as promised) my husband found a number for the carrier Laser Ship. Supposedly they tried to deliver twice but was unable to. Funny... We were home all day both days. Even funnier is that the item was put on the truck at 11:09 a.m. in a city an hour away and then was not able to be delivered at 11:10 a.m. I would advise not to buy from Office Depot and to always ask during any online purchase who the shipper will be. If it is to be Laser Ship run away from ordering.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Charged $156.99 for one TN750 toner with no promised $20.00 credit for the three cores returned. Web site advertised same toner for $97.99. Had to drive back to store which did refund the purchase price hence the 2 stars. Contacted them to discuss and text came back "we are facing some technical issues .... Kindly I request you to please contact us some other time." Obvious management is out of touch with their past good customer service, no surprise stores are closing.

Original review: April 27, 2021

First off, the website is user friendly! I just feel DEFEATED. Paid $182 for a product that I have not yet received. Sat 04/17 - Used their print service online and was told that the product would be delivered Wed 04/21. Thu 04/22 - Called and was told that it was still processing and would be shipped out Fri 04/23 for delivery 04/26. Mon 04/26 (morning around 9AM) - called and was told that they would escalate and I would get a call/email back in 24 hours. Also messaged via Facebook (didn't want to post to put them on blast - no response on this either). Tue 04/27 - called again, job is still processing, no update, and they would reach out in 24 hours.

Original review: April 16, 2021

For about 8 years I have been using the same Office Depot to print a form that I use in my business. They always do a great job, there polices change but that is with every business. My issue is today 04/16/21 I was called by one of the printing personal informing me that my forms was ready. It took me 15 minutes to get there, however when arriving both printing personal was busy. I waited my time and Carla if I have the name right she had Red hair. She stated how can I help in a very sarcastic way. I stated my name and the name of my business, and she stated we do not do cell phone repairs here and I stated that is not what I ask. I stated my name again and that I was there to pick up some forms, stated that there was no forms for my company.

I informed her that someone called my and informed me that they were ready. She went over and ask the other person and she informed her of the forms. She did not say, "I am sorry," or anything. She just started checking me out and gave me the amount. She walked away and ask the other person to finish the transaction. I informed the other person that I felt like I did something wrong, because she was so rude and walked away without saying anything. I would have given Office Depot a 5 star rating but when you experience something like that it makes you think twice about going again if she is there.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I ordered an office chair from Office Depot. The chair was delivered to someone else (a stranger). The recipient called to tell me he had a chair delivered to him with my name and phone number. He called Office Depot to report the error, and the chair was picked up by UPS and delivered on 3/25/21 to Office Depot in Columbus, OH. I have been told by the store manager and customer service that it takes 24 hours to get the refund. It's been 72 hours, and I'm still waiting. The store manager (#6069 Farmington Hills, MI) **, has given me the run around. He should be reprimanded for such horrible customer service. He gave me the 800 customer service number, who says he should have handled it, and that it was out of their hands.

Resolution response: April 17, 2021

Office Depot has resolved our peeling desk top issue. Vera ** from Office Depot was amazing. She initiated a case resolution, followed up with all departments involved, and provided constant update status to us. Then concluded in with Home Nations furnishing a new (replacement) desk top. We are so happy to see this horrible looking desk top replaced. Thank you Vera and Office Depot.

Original review: March 15, 2021

WARNING! Do not purchase any office or any other furniture from Office Depot or Office Max. I purchased an Office Manager Desk and a File case, and the PAPER (THAT’S RIGHT PAPER) laminate is peeling off of both items. I sent a request to HOME NATIONS (Manufacturer of their furniture and outfit that supposedly warrants their products for 5 years) to replace the top of the Managers Desk, which is peeling. Home Nations refused to honor their warranty and said it was normal wear and tear. They indicated the damaged area was from laying my sleeves or hands on the desk not a product defect. AS IF ONE SHOULD NEVER LAY THEIR ARMS ON A DESK OR ANY FURNITURE FOR THAT MATTER.

The problem is they lay a paper laminate on their products and stop at the top edge of the furniture edge, then there is a 1/32 to 1/64 gap at the top. Then they proceed to place the laminate after that gap and wrap around the lip to the bottom of the top. This is peeling waiting to happen. This is not wear and tear. In fact, it’s a major product defect.

What should have been done is to continue from the top of the desk or furniture, wrapping around the curve or straight edge and ending at the bottom of the lip. This would result in no gap to allow for peeling. If one looks on close up pictures on some products on their website, you can see the gap I am addressing. Of course, they do not show many close-up pics of items on their website which would reveal this separation.

I am having the same problem on the file case, purchased at the same time, that has a printer on top of it. Why then is it starting to also peel in the same area? We are certainly not laying our sleeves on hands on it! Recommend not purchasing from either Office Depot or Office Max as THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. IT’S EASY TO BOGUSLY OFFER A 5 YEAR WARRANTY AND NOT STAND BEHIND IT. What a poor excuse for a customer responsive company.

Office Depot response

Hi Alex, I'm sorry to read about the difficulty that you are experiencing with your desk. I'd like to help, could you please send a copy of this complaint along with your contact info (this site doesn't share it with us) to customer.relations@officedepot.com? Upon receipt a member of our Executive Customer Relations Team will connect with you and get this sorted out. Again, I'm really sorry about the difficulty you are running into with your desk.

Sincerely,

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: March 13, 2021

This is not a full service chain -- they just want to sell products, and if they don't work, that's tough 'stuff' for the customer. I'm an older man -- 68 -- and I don't know tech. Some help would be nice. Stores are also understaffed.

Office Depot response

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and your candid comments. I'll make sure we share your review with our retail leadership team.

Sincerely,

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I’ve been trying to get a whiteboard for the past 40 days through Office Depot. I placed order for a dry erase whiteboard which arrived in a super damaged box as if things will fall off if I even lift it. I accepted it considering that boxes tend to get damaged during shipping yet the product is usually in an acceptable condition. I opened the box and most of the crucial parts were missing. I contacted the customer support and got a replacement order placed which arrived super late and to my surprise, it arrived in the same condition as the first package and the parts are missing AGAIN! Also, there is no sign of merchant credit on my payment account and their customer resolution team is never available and responds back after 2-3 days. This is a highly unreliable brand and should probably do all the customers a favor by closing their business because there’s no point in running a business if quality cannot be maintained and customers are not satisfied.

Office Depot Company Information