2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (2144 ratings)

About Office Depot

Office Depot and OfficeMax sell office supplies, furniture, school supplies, cleaning products and electronics. With 1,300 stores nationwide, customers can take advantage of Office Depot’s and OfficeMax’s in-store services, including printing, copying, tech services, shredding and storage. All products are available online and in-store.

Office Depot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?

Original review: June 22, 2020

Customer service is null and void at the Wauwatosa WI Office Depot. My business, our church nor our family do business with them any longer- I Would rather shop at Walmart.... Before shopping there again! I placed an order for curbside pick up. Was notified my order was ready went to pick it up set in parking lot for 15 minutes come up then went inside for the so she to tell me that they didn't a get an alert. I was so a laptop that was a display item without being told it was such. Paying full price for an item that has been on display should be the consumer's decision and not made by the store associates. When trying to log in to the laptop, there was personal information of another individual already logged in, it was asking me for a password that of course I could not give because I was not the person who was logged in.

I spent 3 hours on the phone been transferred disconnected and then transferred again only to be told that they could Walk me through clearing the information. They could not guarantee that my personal information would not or could not be compromised. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, as this is where I conduct my business transactions! I have tried and tried to reach corporate office and all I could get is "ma'am you have to call 1 800 go depot..." After 3 hours on the phone they transferred me to the local store to a sales associate,not a manager, Who could give me no advice except tell me to bring it in or he could walk me through wiping it clean. Who in the right mind would pay full price for an item that was on display. Do not Go to office depot in Wauwatosa WI. Frustrated and Disappointed!

Original review: June 3, 2020

I purchased an adapter cord online for my new PC. Due to COVID, I had a hard time getting someone willing to come to my house and assist me with setting up my PC. Once I was able to get someone willing to come and assist me, it was discovered that the cable adapter I had ordered had the wrong fitting. For this reason, I had a delay in my return request. I have had no issues from any other store with returns for online purchases, as we have been forced to make online purchases due to exposure risks, during this trying time except for Office Max/Office Depot. I will not be making any future purchases from Office Depot/Office Max. I am highly disappointed in their customer service or lack of.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I ordered a 27" ViewSonic computer monitor online on 4/27/20 for $158.00 but did not like it so I requested to return the item back on 5/6/20. It was approved, so I shipped the monitor back via UPS on 5/12/20. The tracking number showed Office Depot received it on 5/19/20. I have contacted Office Depot several times regarding my return and my refund. They kept telling me 7 business days upon receipt of the item. It has been over 11 business days now, and going to be 3 weeks since they received my item. It still shows as "Processing Return" on their website.

I called them so many times. They have been holding on to my money and just giving me generic answers when I call them. It is not this hard to return an item at Best Buy and Target, or at Amazon. It is so frustrating and I felt like they have been ignoring my return. They were so quick to take my money when I purchased it, but I still have yet to see my refund after almost 3 weeks. Beware to all the people that shop online at Office Depot. You will get a hard time getting your money back if you try to return it. This is a scam. Give back my money. You have the item back for almost 3 weeks now! This is not right!

Original review: June 3, 2020

My job has become a work from home job due to the COVID 19 pandemic. I ordered a desk for my home office on 5/20/20. It arrived to my home on 5/26/20 heavily damaged. I did not accept delivery. I heard nothing in the following days from Home Depot. I called customer service on 5/29/20 and was told my replacement desk had a delivery date of 6/1/20, I doubted this because this was the original order delivery date, so my husband stopped by our local Office Depot to check and was told the same thing. The desk didn't arrive on June 1. I live chatted customer service late in the day on 6/1/20 and after 1/2 hour on chat was told that there was no replacement coming I would be refunded. I still have not been refunded for the damaged desk. Customer service is nonexistent, I had to contact them several times, and still, the situation is unresolved.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I purchased a desk from Office Depot and the next day the desk went on sale. I contacted customer service through online chat and after 45 minutes I was offered a refund for the difference in the sale price. I was told 7 to 10 business days. After 21 days and no refund I made an attempt to contact them again. No response by email. I contacted the BBB and received a reply in 2 days. They assured me that there was a issue with the transaction but they were issuing my refund that day. I waited until the refund showed in my account before closing the bbb complaint. After closing the complaint, the next day office depot had taken the refund from my account. What kind of business does this type of obvious theft? I was also promised an e gift card which I never received but don't care about now because I will never use this business again! I just want my refund and they stole it from my account with no explanation! Beware of these crooks.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I found a beautiful desk on their site. I ordered it April 18th and was given an expected delivery date for early May due to shipping delays. This was to be expected given the pandemic and I was fine with that. A few days before the desk was due to arrive I contacted customer service and asked if the desk was still going to arrive on the expected date. The man on the phone was incredibly rude in tone and words. Acted like I was some annoying ** and was stupid and couldn't read an expected delivery date. I kept trying to explain I know the date says May X, but I wanted to check as these estimates can change. Mr. Rude emphasized it again like I was dumb and assured me the desk would be on its way shortly.

I waited until the expected date came before I contacted again as I wondered if a shipping email failed to send which can happen. No desk. I reach out to customer service again and speak to a polite person this time who tells me the desk has not been in a stock for a while and there is no expected restock date and the desk may not be restocked. Mr. Rude straight up lied to me and was a mean person to boot. I then asked if they could get any answers for a desk that I already gave payment info for. I was forwarded to the resolutions team and finally got an email from them.

The resolutions team said they reached out to the manufacturer and the manufacturer requested 24 hours. I waited FOUR days. Nothing. Emailed again. Manufacturer needs another 24 hours. Another WEEK passes. Nothing. Finally I decided to cancel my order because this whole process has been completely ridiculous and I was as patient as I could be. So much time wasted. And I had to deal with a very mean customer service rep too. I worked customer service, it's not that hard to not act horrible to customers. Also, don't lie, not hard.

I think Office Depot's practice of selling an item with no known restocking date is fraudulent. Wayfair will say an item is due to restock X month, X day but won't let you even buy it unless they know they'll have it. Office Depot should not sell products they do not actually have and have no idea if they will ever get again. They also should work with customer service reps so that they're not horrible to customers. I don't know if it's because I'm a woman (which is a thing for some men), but I have never had such a terrible customer service experience as I had this time trying to get a desk that literally does not exist. The overall experience with this company has been terrible. I took my business elsewhere – to a company that is actually reliable and treats customers well.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I hope this reviews helps other people to make a better choice before shopping at Office Depot. I recently bought an active pen for my computer and when I received it, it was damaged. I called Office Depot to ask about the return steps but every time I called (I called 4 times!!!), they made me hold for over an hour! The first time I called, I received an email from someone saying I had to reorder the item again because the vendor did not accept returns!? So far, I've been calling all week and still no solution! When I decided to write a review, I thought I was just unlucky but after checking some online reviews, it seems like it is more common than it should be!! It's time to improve your customer service!

Original review: May 7, 2020

Customer service at the Office Depot/Max store on Willamette in Eugene, Oregon: Texted me that my order was ready to pick up in their store. When I got there, only half of order was there & other half was going to be delivered the next day. However, I ordered both items at the same time & specified to be picked up in store. The missing item was priced at $14.99 plus $11.95 delivery charge! NO WAY would I pay that much for delivery! They offered to swap out the item in store & credit the delivery which would have been fine but they had to do paperwork & I had an appointment & had to leave.

The clerk that helped me wanted to see my order confirmation, when I showed him on the screen, he put his UNGLOVED FINGERS ON MY PHONE SCREEN to make it bigger & when I yelled at him to stop he got offended. I came back after my appointment & got the item & supposedly a credit for the prior order & delivery although I haven't seen the credit yet & that store will not answer their phone! I will never do business with that store again & will try the other office depot store in town but if they are as incompetent, I will find another office supply vendor after over 30 years with Office depot!

Original review: April 20, 2020

Ordered a bookcase and was told there isn't any tracking number. This will foul up my entire schedule... I will not be here to accept package so I will leave note to SEND IT BACK. I also cannot understand these customer service people with their broken english.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Buyer beware: I placed an order online on 4-12-2020 with a delivery date of 4-14-2020. I went to track my order and it says that it was delivered even though I never received my items. I called customer service and after being on hold for 18 minutes, I was told that contrary to what the order tracker says my order has not even been delivered. Turns out the item is on backorder and I am on a wait list. None of this was even communicated to me at any point. There is no ETA as to when the items will be in stock, though they have no problem charging my debit card for them. I was assured by the customer service agent that I would be notified when the items are back in stock and shipped to me. I take this with a grain of salt because I was never told that the items were out of stock and not going to be shipped. Poor communication and customer service.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I ordered toilet paper online. Their site said they it in stock. I received an email it was delivered, but it never arrived. I called and was told it was actually out of stock and I’d have to wait. I wrote a negative but polite review and got an email they declined to add to their reviews. I guess they only want positive reviews. It makes no sense to send me an email they’ve delivered a product along with a supply chain timeline when it was all false. I was worried the pkg was stolen and their customer service line seemed to have a script to read and not deviate from. Absolute lack any care. I’ll take my business elsewhere. Considering the issues with the economy, one would think they’d at least focus on excelling at what is in their control. Everyone understands shortages of supplies. What I don’t understand is their deceitfulness.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I'm a old business customer from when the store opened in Daytona Beach FL. 6 rolls of company brand clear tape for $29.95 at register is gouging. Office Depot should be ashamed. And they have some nerve. 30 mins later I purchased 6 rolls for $12.99

Original review: April 6, 2020

I never write reviews. This is the first time I am writing a review since I dont expect to get yelled by your store manager when you guys gonna mess up. On 3-24-20 I place an order that had 2 item and it was showing you guys had it and on 3-25-20 when I was going to pick up only one item was ready to pick up. So I was called the store. They said they dont have the other item. So I asl the person what should I do. He said to see if any other store has it. So I saw there is another store close to my house. That one has the item. So placed another order from that store and I call customer service so I can get refund. She said she will refund me.

After one more hour I got another email that saying they don't have the same item too. So I had to call the store to cancel the order. So after wasting all my day I brought the item from BestBuy. I was needed the converter that's why I ordered. So I forgot everything and I was like, "It's fine. You guys can run out of stuff. That's understandable." So today is 4-5-20. 10 days passed. I still didn't get the refund yet. So I called the store to check in and after waiting 5 min waiting on your customer service line they said you guys customer service close.

Still I was okay but little upset because it's not my fault you guys dont have any stuff that showing you have it in the store on website. I am the one who is suffer and guess what when I call the store where I placed the order to pick up and the manager she said her name is Akimi. She yelled at me because I was upset not to get my refund and guess what. She hunged up on me just wow. So I called back and I asked her, "Ma'am you just hunged on me?"

I asked her name and told me proudly because she know you guys not gonna take any action and she gonna keep doing this will all other customer. All the best providing great customer service having this kind of manager on the team who doesn't give a damn about the customer. Please kindly help me a get my refund or unless I will dispute my money. So it was 2 orders I had charged. **

Original review: April 3, 2020

Today 4/2/2020 while visiting the location on Shady Grove Rd In Rockville, MD between 4:30pm - 5:30pm. I ran into Jordan, the shift manager, who was completely apathetic to me as a customer. I asked for assistance in purchasing an office chair upon my arrival. Jordan responded that he would check the inventory and come back to me, however he never returned and but remained in my line of sight helping other new customers who had entered the store after me. He continued to ignore me. He ultimately spent the next 10 min talking to a co-worker. He had promised to get back to me, meanwhile there were 3 other employees in the store who were not helping anyone else at that time.

Finally I asked one of them for the manager and to my dismay, I was alerted that it was actually Jordan who was the manager!! Upon approaching him again he literally rolled his eyes at me and acted as if I were a nuisance and went back to communicating with a co-worker and took another phone call. I waited patiently and then informed him I’d been waiting all this time for the update on the desk chair. He replied “what’s your problem, I wasn’t trying to do anything to you, I was just busy”. I informed Jordan that I wasn’t trying to compete with his priorities but was interested in why he didn’t inform another co-worker to assist me. To that he had no reply.

I found his behavior, attitude, demeanor and leadership to that team of people he is responsible to lead; deplorable. He is setting a terrible example for everyone that reports to him by virtue of his apathy toward customers...especially when there are fewer customers during this COVID-19 environment. Finally, it’s not surprising to me that the Best Buy store in the same complex outperforms this store in customer service and sales volume.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Last week a delivery person from Office Depot attempted to deliver an order to a commercial office building. The building closes at 6pm. The delivery guy showed up at 7:20pm and after finding the doors locked, proceeded to attempt to Break into the building. YES. Break In. He also tried repeatedly to pull open the door, bending the door handle and causing the locking mechanism to be sloppy and loose. He pounded on the glass of the doors so hard, he set off an alarm in one of suites inside. THIS IS ALL CAPTURED ON VIDEO.

I contacted Office Depot. The supervisor that I spoke with indicated that someone will be in touch with me and assured me this matter would be addressed. A week later and two phone calls and I have been ignored. The damage to the door is over $500.00. Apparently, this is how Office Depot does business. They hire thieves and lowlifes who destroy private property and then ignore their customers. In a couple days, this video will go viral on every social media platform to illustrate just how professional, respectful and responsible Office Depot and their employees are. Lastly, the customer Office Depot attempted to deliver in the office building are Attorneys. They will be filing a lawsuit against Office Depot and the employee will soon be arrested for felony Attempted Breaking & Entering as well as Felony Damage to Property. Use Staples or WB Mason. Stay away from Office Depot. They simply are a bunch of thieves.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Today February 25 and My HP Elite Desktop stop working an 18 February. So sad after just year and two month. So they said call Microsoft which I did and learn a lot. Firstly this desktop is 9 years old and 3rd party did Refurbish Not Windows as the claim, second they trying to escape they own warranty of 3 years! Scumbag people with Bad services will lie and sell you something damaged or without warranty. I'm stopping shop there from now on! DON'T buy there, Don't Waste your money!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I had three Office Depot gift cards sitting in my drawer for a long time. When I tried to use them today, the balances all became 0. I kept track of the balances by writing them on the cards. Obviously there was something wrong. I called Office Depot gift card support, trying to find out what transactions caused it. I was transferred from one department to another. Every representative just told me the current balance is zero (yes, sounded like I didn't know it!) and kept asking me the order numbers associated with the gift cards. In the end, I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Office Depot and got no useful information.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I did place an order with Office Depot. As per they advertised next day delivery. That didn’t happened which I understand sometimes some stuff not ready to deliver. First of all they send my stuff delivery without any notice on 4th February which is 8 days earlier. That guy was by himself. He can’t put my stuff where supposed to go. After reporting that to customer service they promise next time delivery will be two people. After all this conversation on 11th February I received email saying that they canceled my order which is really wasted my time. I will never buy any stuff from them again. I hope this will help others to buying stuff from them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Went to the Office Depot located at 910 East Expressway 83, McAllen, TX. Located at the La Tienda Plaza. The cashier asked for my phone number, name, and email. I thought it was just for the receipt. I even said "oh okay so you email the receipt? He said; "yeah". I walked out. Two hours later I start getting emails saying I opened some kind of rewards account!! I click the link to the Office Depot website and see that I have a rewards program account I NEVER ASKED FOR!!! I get upset and immediately file a report on the website. I call the customer service phone number that says it's 24 hours, guess what, IT'S NOT 24 HOURS! They say call back during normal hours and never say what normal call center hours are.

I call the actual store. I start telling the little punk who answered the phone about my problem. He starts coming up with some run around excuse. I explain to him that it is against the law to open an account in someone else's name without their consent. Then I asked; what is it? Rewards point's credit card? I then say I want a manager. He starts to argue with me, calling me "Man". I say, "Don't call me "Man". call me "Sir" and get the manager now." So the little punk hangs up on me. I call back and speak to the manager. He says he will delete the account. I'm still going to call customer service tomorrow morning. That is completely unfair, nontransparent business. Just signing people up to show they have members. I don't shop at Office Depot regularly. This was my first visit to an Office Depot in over a year.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I ordered a desk that ended up not being quite what I wanted so I called to have someone from Office Depot pick it up because I was returning it. Setting up the original appointment was fine but trying to change the date afterwards was useless. The reality in life is that things can happen that require you to change your schedule around and office depot is clearly unaware of that fact. I called to try to change the date of the pick up and the representative told me that she was going to send a request for the date to be changed. About two hours later I received an email saying "Your order is already in process and we will make every attempt to contact the carrier and provide them with an update." I then called the customer service again and asked what exactly this meant. The representative told me that it takes about 48 hours for them to contact the carrier. This seems absolutely ridiculous to me because in 48 hours, it will be the original pickup date.

It shouldn't be that hard to get in contact with the carrier. The representative then proceeded to tell me that if I knew the original date wasn't good then I should have changed it at the time that I made the original pick up appointment. I then explained to him that that mindset of setting things up in a way where the possibility of changing it is out of the question is not conducive to how life works. Something came up in my life that requires me to change the original date. Office Depot needs to work on this because I've never experienced this level ridiculousness when trying to change a date from any other company.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I bought a printer from Office Depot online. It arrived without a power cord. So since I could not plug it in, it was useless. I call about the problem and was told how to return it. I returned it as specified on January 6, 2020. I was told it would take ten day to get my refund. On January 22, 2020, after three more emails asking where the refund was, I was told the refund has been issued. I have responded that the refund is not in my account. More than ten days, as promised, I have no refund. They sent me a credit slip stating that the refund has been issued but it is not in my account. I am so less than happy.

Hi Franklin,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry that this has taken so long to resolve. Can I trouble you to respond with your order number/contact info? I'd like to have our Executive Customer Relations Team look into this for you and ensure that it's addressed.

Best,

Casey A

Office Depot, Inc.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I purchased two storage bins on December 26th, 2019. On Jan 2nd, 2020 I noticed that they were too small and I would have to purchase a bigger size. Unfortunately, I lost my original receipt. I called customer service and was told that I would need to wait 24-48 hours to receive it by email. I was fine with that. By Jan 6th, I received nothing. I called again and was told that the original request was input incorrectly and that they would fix it and put a priority on my request. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told they were all busy and that they would call me back. I received no communication. It is not Jan 10th, 2020 and I still have received nothing.

Again, I called today and after being on hold for a total amount of 20-22 minutes, I got to speak with a supervisor and was told that they can not communicate with the receipts department other than through email so I could not call them. I asked for a corporate number so I could submit a complaint because being strung along for a ridiculous amount of days for such a minuscule request is a terrible practice.

I called the corporate number and when I indicated I would like to speak with a customer service rep, I was then transferred to the non-corporate number... I should indicate that during my conversation with the first rep today, I was finally told that I could return the items and to just present the card I used and I would not need a receipt. That's great information but this review is for the entire situation that Office Depot has and still is putting me through. I can not even get a hold of corporate. What type of company keeps this information hidden? I have done business with Office Depot for 10 years now, and I can honestly say that they have lost a customer. Long story short, to those who read this, save yourself the hassle and go to any other office supplies store. The risk of anyone needing any type of customer service from this place should be enough to keep them away.

Hi Raul,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm sorry that things did not go as well as they should have. I will share your experience with our leadership team so that we can better handle these types of inquiries in the future. If you'd like to provide your contact information I'd be love to have our Executive Customer Relations Team follow up with you to ensure that things are properly addressed and made right.

Thank you again.

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I placed an online order for KIND bars, the advertisement was for 12 bars Dark Chocolate & Nut bars. I received the notification that my order was ready for pick up at my local store (over 15 miles away.) I drive to the store, notify store personnel that I am here for an online order, he hands me a bag with 10 individual KIND bars, I tell him that is not correct, it was advertised as boxes of 12. I show him the order as well as showing him the ad on officemax.com, where it clearly states it is a box of 12 bars. He replies that they do not carry them in boxes, only individual bars. So to sum up my experience with Office Max, I wasted an hour of my life, drove a 30+ miles round trip, to have someone tell me all he can do is issue me a refund.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I ordered items online but was not able to pick them up at the store as I hurt my back. I was refunded after 8 days but I didn’t receive the full amount that I was charged. I called customer service about it and while the agent was very helpful, her supervisor didn’t allow her to refund me the rest of my money. She was instructed to tell me to talk to the store or my bank about it. Seriously?!

When I spoke to the store supervisor, he said that I need to come in to get the refund - that they don’t have the capacity to do the refund directly to my card without me going to the store. He also said that customer service should have done it themselves so I don’t need to go to the store anymore, especially with my back situation. I agree! He allowed for me to send someone else to pick up my refund on my behalf. But that is still so inconvenient though. Whoever the supervisor is at customer service is definitely not doing his/her job! Why didn’t they refund the whole amount in the first place?! Why can’t customer service issue the refund?!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I tried to buy a chair in store but they were out of stock. They ordered me one to be delivered a couple of days later. I never received it. Customer service kept asking me to give it time. Finally after 20 days I asked for my money back but customer service said they would just order me another one and put a priority on it. It is now past the delivery date and I called customer service and they ask me to give them more time. I am sure I will never see the chair or my money again.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

First off, I have to ask for all of our community, Is the Local Office Depot going out of business? Secondly, we have to assume that Office Depot, at least locally is going out of business. There are no facilitators to assist customers as they enter, and what is worse is that all of the so-called "self Help equipment" has not been maintained over the last year, and so far, this year there's no improvement. Last but not least, all of our friends and neighbors; Is the office depot brand closing down? We could happily send photos of the current stat of affairs, but haven’t an address or number to forward photos… The ** Newburgh, New York

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have never had such a bad experience with returning an item online. I requested a return on 12/22 for 12/30. So I took a day off to wait for their employee to pick my return up. No one showed up. Contacted CS and was told that my return will be put on "high priority" and I will be contacted regarding the return soon. No one contacted me. Today I logged in and found out that my return is now scheduled for 01/07/20. Really? Almost 3 weeks waiting for somebody to pick up a return item. For some unknown reason CS didn't want to provide me a return shipping label so I could ship it myself. Now I have to wait whole day (again) hoping that someone will pick up my return.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I am very dissatisfied with the level of customer service at Office Depot. I have spoken to on-site managers, and the General Manager about customer service, friendliness of staff, and quality service in hopes things would change. The General Manager finally returned my call the other day to follow up with me on concerns from months ago, and when I called him back, I was on hold so long the phone finally disconnected. To date, no return call, or email, and we have not connected. I would think customers would matter greatly to management. However, their actions says something completely different.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I ordered two boxes of copy paper and 2 boxes of folders on 12-2 - stated delivery 12-4. 12-4 came and went - no delivery. Each business day I received email stating "delivery delayed one day - anticipated delivery on 12-4". How they can email a customer stating delivery will be 6 days in the past is beyond me. Several emails, phone calls and live chats later, as of 12-20, still no refund. The folders were delivered (several days late), but no refund for the copy paper. Was told I had to wait for the paper to be delivered and then refuse it in order to get a refund!!! Called local store - Manager said he'd make some calls and get back with me. That was a week ago and no return call. Needless to say, I'm looking for another supplier for our business. It's fine to shop there if you are going to a store, but if you order online, the delivery service is horrible!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I was miss-led while buying a smart lock for my door at Office Depot online store. I wasn't happy about that so I went to nearest office depot store to return it. They said that's not possible since the purchase was done online. It took 20 minutes to initiate a return. The worker there told me I will get a call following day by resolution department as a follow up. What a hack. At that point it looked like it's year 2000 when purchases and returns were done over the phone.

Hi Benamir,

You should be able to return anything purchased online to any Office Depot store if you have your order confirmation and you return it within the published time period. I'm really sorry that this is not what you experienced. Please send me your order details and contact information so that I can have my team follow up to ensure that the in-process return is handled smoothy and efficiently for you. I'm really sorry about the mix up.
-Casey A