Office Depot Reviews

About Office Depot

Office Depot and OfficeMax sell office supplies, furniture, school supplies, cleaning products and electronics. With 1,300 stores nationwide, customers can take advantage of Office Depot’s and OfficeMax’s in-store services, including printing, copying, tech services, shredding and storage. All products are available online and in-store.

Office Depot Reviews

Stars Rating

• 8%
  • 0%
  • 6%
  • 8%
  • 78%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?
    Sales & Marketing

Reviewed April 26, 2024

TERRIBLE. I hope you see this before buying from Office Depot. They only delivered a tabletop, no legs for the table and no hardware. It has been a month, after reaching out twice each week, they still have not A) picked up the tabletop that is 90 lbs and is a liability in my office space and B) they still have not reimbursed me for $232. A complete scam. Seriously- do not buy from here. This is the first time I've ever written a poor review for a company. I hope this helps someone.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 24, 2024

Hi, I am a frequent customer, I am in sales and frequently go to Office Depot to print and or bound proposals. I went on 04/23/2024 at 11:45am to Schaumburg, IL store #3360, I needed a proposal just to be bounded, usually 3-5 minutes, I walked up to the print desk and there were 3 employees conversing, small talk not office depot related, I asked if I can get the proposal bounded, the one gentleman said I can drop it off and pick up at 6pm, I said I'm not from this area and live over one our away, I asked if he can just do it quickly for me, He proceeded to say say he can for a rush fee of $25.00, I said seriously, none of you are working on anything at that time, they just laughed so I walked out. I will never return to this store again. Whatever happened to customer service?

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed April 23, 2024

The return policy is terrible. Office Depot states that their stores accept online returns, but when a return of an online order was attempted, we were turned away and advised that the stores do not accept the return of online orders. Additionally, their website does not accurately provide a description of their items as the item that arrived was not as expected, therefore they falsely advertised the product. I also called their customer service line and was given the run around. The customer service representative was not very helpful and only provided me with a claim number and then abruptly ended the call thereafter.

Reviewed April 23, 2024

If you are going to buy office supplies stay away from Office Depot. Order two toner cartridges from Office Depot when I went to use them found out I order the wrong ones. No problem right? Only a week since deliver. So I go to their website to get a return label. No such thing. I called they said a third party shipped the item and would contact me with 24 hours. Three days later nothing. Call back and they said they would contact the third party. Then they want pictures. I sent the pictures. Three more days go by and I call again. This time they ask for UPC label and part number. They should be able to know this from my order. Never again, buy from Amazon, Staples, Walmart, anywhere returns are easy. Would give zero for stars if they would let you.

Customer ServiceProcess

Reviewed April 1, 2024

I signed up for a 30-day free trial of the Business Select Program and was told I could cancel during that period without a fee. I went to the website and cancelled a week or so later, but was still charged $49.99 at the end of the 30 days. I called the phone number on the emailed receipt and was put on hold for 32 minutes, then told by a recording to enter a "mailbox number". When I couldn't enter one, the line was disconnected. I found a different phone number online and have now been on the line for 46 minutes trying to get this resolved. This seems to be a SCAM. By purposely making it this difficult to cancel, people give up and Office Depot/Office Max keeps the money. Stay away from this program and this company!

Reviewed March 27, 2024

I wanted to share the HORRIBLE experience I had with Officedepot.com! I order ink cartridges to be delivered because it's a busy time, tax season. The package had my address on it but inside were a pair of sheers. I called expecting an apology and promise to expedite my ink. Not what happened, the call center supervisor, Poda said policy is we will cancel your order AFTER the sheers have been picked up, which soonest was in 6 days. THEN, I would have to replace the order. Terrible experience! I called Amazon had the ink delivered SAME day!!!! Never use officedepot.com. Note: Store mgr was empathic, but I still have to go to the location.

Reviewed March 19, 2024

I was looking a self adhesive laminating sheets package. I asked Theresa who was at the print section and introduced herself as the manager, where I can find them? She said on the wall. I asked her if she could show me please? She raised her voice on me and said "I told you on the wall." I am a doctor and do not need any one who probably do not even have a high school diploma to raise her voice on me, the customer. SHE NEEDS To GET FIRED. Do yourself a favor and do not shop here. Thank you.

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed March 16, 2024

Delivered an older model with same model number but does not match picture of what I ordered. Bait and switch. If they don’t make this right I will never do business with them again. And too heavy accent on service rep.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2024

I got an email stating that they were delivered. This is the second time in a month that I ordered ink cartridges and not received the order. I will not do any more business with Office depot. I have had enough.

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2024

Port Richey location US 19. Supposed to have FedEx inside for drop off shipping and picking up. I generated a digital code for dropping off my Walmart online return. The self-proclaimed manager told me they do not accept this type of return at the store. Huge FedEx signs on the outdoor windows, the internet has this FedEx location option, as well as Walmart.com allowing digital returns or printed labels at all FedEx locations. Female manager during the day was rude, immature and completely disrespectful, unprofessional to senior customer with sight issues. Was told I would be charged for printing my label, then later was told I would be charged for shipping my package. All of this is supposed to be done free through Walmart.com using FedEx.

When I got on my phone and tried to call Walmart to maybe have them send an email so we could print the label. I asked the manager for assistance helping me read some numbers and letters that I could not see. I chose this office so I could have a printed label so they could help me as I was told they were supposed to do. I asked her three times and she refused. The manager also got upset when I said, "Oh my God" in Spanish, rolled her eyes, got huffy and puffy and said forget it and walked away from me. Apparently you are not allowed to speak Spanish even if you're born in America at this Port Richey location. After speaking with the people at customer service on the phone, they told me that I could drop off my package here for FedEx and did not have to pay for a label to be printed and should not have to pay for shipping.

They couldn't understand why this Office Depot didn't take my package with the code that was digital. Neither could the Walmart employee on the telephone. Again as they were supposed to do all of the above. The cynical Office Depot manager's behavior towards me. The entire 40 minutes I was in the store was baffling. So I left without sending back my package to Walmart through this Office Depot with FedEx. Feeling very discriminated at Office Depot in Port Richey. I did find another employee in shipping who took over for the manager who did help me read those letters and numbers that I could not see and he did say I did not have to pay for dropping a package off at FedEx. I did not have to pay for printing a label but he did say they did not accept the QR code that Walmart was having everyone set up for FedEx locations. So what is a guessing game when you enter this store and you're allowed to be bullied and discriminated against?

Resolution In Progress
    Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2024

August 22, 2023, ordered two cases of bathroom cleaner from ODP online via Amazon. They advertised 3 - 1gal bottles to a case for $59.58 per case. I received the order, but only 1 bottle was in the box. I contact ODP asking where the other two bottles were. They said they mistakenly advertised it wrong and would give me a full refund and I could keep the product. I thought this was great and how a true company would respond. Since then, I have repeatedly reached out asking where is our credit. They keep apologizing and saying they reissued it and will hit the card within 3 to 7 business days, then claim they won't give the full credit but only half and I have to return to the product.

The product has been used, as this has been going on for months and I was first promised a full credit and to keep the product. They then said ok - a full credit. Still waiting! They continue to spew this nonsense now for almost six months. And, Amazon does nothing about it. I have repeatedly let Amazon know and all they do is send an auto reply saying they received my complaint. Amazon also declined to post my complaint, which only stated the facts, so I wonder what is going on with the relationship between ODP and Amazon. Both companies should reevaluate how they treat and respond to their customers. I will continue to ask for our credit. ODP seems to have thousands of complaints online. Amazon should step up and make this right or remove ODP as one of their third-party sellers.

Verified purchase
    Mary increased rating by 2 stars.
    Staff
    After a positive interaction with Office Depot, Mary increased their star rating on Feb. 21, 2024.

Updated review: Feb. 21, 2024

The company made this problem right at the higher levels.

Original Review: Feb. 12, 2024

We bought our HP printer from Office Depot. We always buy our ink cartridges from them as well. Lately, the printer cartridges fail with very little use with an error that the printer has detected a counterfeit ink cartridge. In the past, when I have had this problem, I have taken the cartridge back to Office Depot and they have allowed me to get a new cartridge or have refunded my money. Yesterday, I got the worst manager possible. She informed me that I had one month to bring the ink cartridge back. Never mind the fact that I do not print that much, and the cartridge showed that there was 3/4 of the ink supply left and would no longer print. She was adamant that it was store policy to only allow returns within a month.

When I explained that I had spent over $50 for this cartridge and had got minimal use out of it and I expected a refund, she had a very condescending attitude and looked up my rewards account. She told me that since I had only made three purchases in the last year, she could not do anything. We used to spend a lot of money with Office Depot for school projects and school supplies for my kids, but they are now in college, so our expenditures have tapered off. Nevertheless, we have been good Office Depot customers in the past. She finally begrudgingly agreed to refund my money, but she did not refund me for the full amount of the purchase. She refunded my credit card for $34.63 only when the initial purchase was $53.14. I am not happy with her handling of the situation nor with how she treated me. I will not be going back to Office Depot for anything, even though it is the most convenient office supply store in my area.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 10, 2024

In the last 6 months I have had poor experience with our local (Amarillo TX) store. I ordered a file cabinet (2 file drawers plus 1 utility drawer). Ordered online. It was delivered later that day, but the wrong item was delivered. (only two drawers) I then had to return it and get the right cabinet. They had the proper cabinet in stock. They gave me the cabinet and charged me for it. They then had to process the return. It took three months to get the refund. Whenever I went in, no one knew how to follow up on this. (No manager) was ever available and the clerks probably had trouble getting to work.

A couple of months later I ordered a desk chair. It was delivered to the wrong address. I had to drive across town to get it because they couldn't figure out the procedure for picking it up and delivering to the correct address. Last week I went into the store for lable maker tape. It would not scan at the register. They then scanned the wrong item (larger tape and more expense). They then had to clear that out and start all over. After I got home I found that not only did I get the tape I wanted and the price was correct, they put the wrong larger tape in my bag as well.... And didn't charge for it. I wonder how these people find their way to work each morning

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2024

I ordered Turbo Tax software from Office Depot and have done so for the past 5 plus years. I ordered online and the option on my purchase was cd or download. I paid and was not given an option for download and received an email that my cd would arrive in 2 days. I called customer service and waited for 25 minutes. A representative came on the line and asked for my customer number and my name, then asked what they could help me with. I gave her the information and began telling her my issue after about a minute the phone just cut off. I have not had an issue with dropped calls on my end and none before this one. I called back and had to wait about 15 minutes and after explaining to the next customer rep my issue she informed me that the download was discontinued and cancelled my order. I then ordered a version that was download only and it was supposed to be for a mac or a pc.

When I received my link there was only an option for PC not Mac. I called customer service again and held for 31 minutes before a customer service rep came on the line. They asked me the information again which I gave them and I was less than a minute into my explanation when the phone call dropped again. I called back and waited another 16 minutes before someone came on the line. She got the information again and I gave her my phone number and asked that she call me back if the call dropped. I was able this time to get my full explanation and she apologized and sent me an email that I could not download from. She said that I would receive an email within an hour with a link that worked.

I have not received the email yet but whether it works or not this experience was totally unacceptable. It should not be this difficult to download a software purchase and you should not have to spend that amount of time waiting to speak to customer service. Also, they had my account information and never attempted to call me back either time the call dropped. I will never purchase software from Office Depot again.

Jacqueline increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed
    After a positive interaction with Office Depot, Jacqueline increased their star rating on Jan. 4, 2024.

Updated review: Jan. 4, 2024

We received our desks today. Thank you.

Original Review: Jan. 3, 2024

I purchased this desk for a new office. The day of delivery they falsely stated it was delivered. When I called they promised to redeliver. Never showed up. When I called again, they "refunded" the order and charged me again for a new order. Tracking stated they "could not find" the business. Contacted again and was promised everything was straightened out and delivery would be made on 1/3. I called the morning of 1/3 to confirm delivery because tracking stated it had not shipped yet. They confirmed. Couple hours later they send an email stating they attempted delivery. FRAUD!! I HAVE WAITED ALL DAY FOR THEM. They are costing me and my business money because I trusted they would deliver the products purchased. DON'T WASTE YOUR BUSINESS' TIME!

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2023

I ordered coffee K-Cups online. I texted to ask if it was too late to add an item. The person without asking me modified my order and made it so the $54.15 I already paid did not show. It was taken from my account. They said to order again and wait for a refund. I don’t have enough $ left to do so and my bank is still not showing it refunded. 3 calls and no one could find a supervisor. 4th call, after waiting 45 minutes for supervisor they disconnected the call.

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am very sorry to hear that we have let you down. I'd like to assist with this further. I have sent an email to the email address associated with the order number provided. I look forward to hearing from you and working with you to resolve this matter.

Amber K.

Reference # 231027-000088

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2023

Lost my files. Lost one of my program discs. I am having to rebuild all my financial records. Total **. Computer was nothing that I asked for. Should have gone to big box store like I usually do and load it myself.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2023

Placed an order online order on Friday, get confirmation that it is ready a hour later. Show up 3 days later to pick it up and they don't have part of it. Tried to substitute a smaller sized item for the one I purchased. The Customer Service by the manager on duty was horrible. This is not the first time I've placed an order online for it not to be available when I arrived at the store. No one pulls orders as they come in apparently. Order cancelled since they didn't have it. Website showed the return was processed on Tuesday. Thursday my account is still not credited. As I am on the phone with the On-Line customer service and she tells me it was processed... that's when I get a message from them that the return is being processed. Coincidence? I think not. I'm betting that there would be no return of funds if I didn't ask.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience in our store. Customer service is our top priority and sorry that was not demonstrated to you. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and would like to discuss your complaint I more details. Please kindly send an email to customer.relations@officedepot.com with your best contact information. We ask that you include your incident#231013-000100. We look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Executive Customer Relations Office Depot.

Price

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2023

Office Depot advertises $30 Instant Savings on an HP printer with any printer trade-in, but fails to reveal there is a $28 cost for a recycle box. This is learned after the trade-in is brought into the store and brought to store check out with a new printer. Reality: The Instant Savings is only $2. I wish zero star was available.

Reviewed June 22, 2023

Tried to order computers from them, they keep put in processing and then cancelled. No one to talk to over there and we needed those computers last week. Don't trust them as they have the worst customer service ever.

Reviewed June 16, 2023

I called The Mesa location at Southern ave June 16, 2023 at around 11am wanting help with my order to place online on their website and the manager hang up on me as a client very rudely, refused to help me since "She has no tendency to work with me over the phone." WORST SERVICE EVER. Office depot should not be appreciated hiring such employees to deal with their clients. I vote with my money and no matter how urgent, I will not use their franchise again.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 29, 2023

I made an online order for some medical supplies that I needed for my disabled wife in early March 2023. To date I have received 15 different emails stating that my product has been received and they are working on getting it shipped out to me. In addition, the 15 different emails all keep pushing the expected delivery date out another week. I have called customer service 4 different times and sent them an email. I received a response to my email that stated that my issue would be elevated to the next level, yet have not received any explanation or help from the next level. I replied back to the original email twice and have not gotten a response back from the person who contacted me.

I am very disappointed with this company right now. They sure were quick enough about taking my money, but have not bothered to address any of my concerns. Before I forget, their customer service number and employees are horrible. They are in a room with other agents with lots of background noise, making it difficult to understand what they are saying ad they will put you on hold with no warning, making it seem like the call got dropped. My last experience on the phone lasted 45 minutes with no resolution. All I got was that my issue would be forwarded upon to the next level. Apparently this is what they tell you so they can end the call. I will probably not ever order from them again.

Installation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed March 16, 2023

I placed 2 orders, each for a color laser printer. For both orders, I received a toner instead! How can they make a mistake on both orders? I've contacted them about the issue, and even uploaded pictures of the wrong items received. I've requested for them to send the correct product (laser printer) to me as a replacement and I will return the toners. Office Depot directed me to not mail back the toners directly. Instead, they said they will schedule a truck to pick up the items. I was hoping that they will also drop off the correct printer at the same time.

I followed the instructions and waited for the truck to come. No one came. It is now past the scheduled time frame, and still no one showed up to pick up. I have reached out to Office Depot again, requesting for them to please send me the printers to replace the toners, but haven't heard back from anyone yet. The lack of timely follow-ups and wrong instructions are very frustrating and unprofessional. My family need the printers for projects, and this delay have caused us a lot of inconveniences.

Reviewed March 8, 2023

I ordered a piece of furniture. It arrived undamaged but missing assembly hardware. 3 weeks of phone calls, chats, escalations with NO return calls or emails. Just passing the buck at every turn. Beware.

Paul increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer Service
    After a positive interaction with Office Depot, Paul increased their star rating on March 8, 2023.

Updated review: March 8, 2023

Resolved: Finally getting transferred to Andrea in the US, and Robert responding to my initial review this situation is resolved. My prints were sent overnight, and in time.

Original Review: March 6, 2023

Never again. I went to my local store for foam backed photos for a trade show. I was told a 24 to 48 hour lead time then when I came in I was told I had to order online. Once I ordered online I found out that it was a much longer lead time as soon as I place the order. The next day I called to follow up to make sure they received it and to find out when it would ship and also to tell them how important it was, at that time I was told that it would be put in the system right then so it could be expedited. A few days later I received an email that said it shipped but no tracking number. A few days after that I called to follow up and it had been put on hold. I was told it would ship that day. The problem is, I may not make the trade show. I have all my small business money invested in this tradeshow, and the photos are the show. Office Depot can literally put me out of business because of gross incompetence. Never, never, never again. If I don’t receive my product, I will never forgive this company.

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2023

I call Direct Billing several times a week and they tell me that they will email or call me. They do Neither. I have been waiting on a refund. They tell me that the services have been approved and that the money will be in my account 7-10 days. Those days have went on for weeks. They act like they don’t even know what they are doing. Refund my money and let’s move on. This is RIDICULOUS.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2023

Do not buy from this company. They are the absolute worst company to ever deal with. I placed an order back in December. Never received the item. Called a month later about 10 times and kept getting transferred to different departments. Was told that someone would return my call with information. Never received a call back. Called several more times and the customer service person issued a credit for the item and then I placed a new order with the credit. That was 12 days ago.

I called today and was hung up on by several customer service people. They have no answer as to why my order is showing processing after 12 days and told me they don't see where the order was assigned for delivery. This company is literally the worst company I have ever dealt with hands down!!! We buy a lot of products from them for our business usually but after going through this nightmare and several other incidents with no resolve we will take our business elsewhere!!! Horrible customer service. Nothing but issues with this company on every single order I have placed.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2023

Office Depot is the worst Company I have ever bought from. Their Customer Service is horrible as well. I purchased items in December which has a 2 two delivery. The items never came after 5 days so I canceled the order and bought what I needed from a better Company. Lo and behold I was then charged for the items that were never delivered. I called Customer Service and was told I would be related 3 to 5 business days later. That day came and went and I was never rebated. Four days later my neighbor said my items were delivered at their house. But remember I canceled those items more than 10 days prior. I return the items to the store and are now being told they can't take them because they don't carry them in store. And was told to call customer service again. Ridiculous and Horrible Customer Service and Company.

Dear Ms. April,

I've sent you a $75.00 gift card via email and we also have a return in the system to pick up the items for full refund

Robert Brown

Executive Customer Relations | Office Depot

​6600 N. Military Trail | Boca Raton, FL 33496

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2023

I ordered an office desk from Office Depot. I would have just picked it up, but the only desk of my chosen model in the store said "Delivery Only." So, I left the location and placed the order online. I was promised a delivery date. The desk did not arrive. I called customer service which was a multi-hour commitment of time. I was given a second delivery date. The desk did not come. I devoted several more hours to calling customer service. I was given a new delivery date. They delivered an item on the date as promised. However, the item was a toner cartridge for a laser printer with a shipping sticker that identified it as a desk. That's right, they charged me for a nice executive desk, sent a printer cartridge that was labeled as a desk, and called it a day.

Again, I devoted several hours to their customer service system. They proposed that I wait for them to come pick up the printer cartridge. When they could verify that the printer cartridge was in their warehouse, then they would ship my desk. Oh, by the way, the desk is actually out of stock. Even though I went to one of their stores and saw the desk in stock, they maintain that there are none available. I suggested that they had stolen my money. At a minimum, they have committed fraud via incompetence. The customer service supervisor told me that I was overreacting. They charged me for a desk (10 days ago) and delivered a printer cartridge labeled as a desk. How is that not fraud? Booooo, Office Depot! Do better!

I have reported the transaction as fraud to my credit card company and ordered the desk from Amazon. I told Office Depot that their printer cartridge will be leaned up against my garage door where they left it, and they can come and get it whenever they want. If Office Depot is paying anyone to train their employees, they are getting ripped off. They should hire whoever trains the employees at Amazon or Capital One. The Capital One representative was spectacular! If you currently work for Office Depot, then you should quit and pursue a job with Amazon. There is no way that Office Depot can survive as a company with their current business practices. If you are in the market for office furniture, then do yourself a favor and order from Amazon. If you are dumb enough to order anything from Office Depot, then you will likely get what you deserve.

Pinned
    Hello William, I am very sorry to hear this happened! We would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me an email at customer.relations@officedepot.com with the order number? Please reference case # 230113-000000. Thank you in advance for your time.

Bella Sanchez

Executive Customer Relations

Office Depot

Pamela increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer Service
    After a positive interaction with Office Depot, Pamela increased their star rating on Jan. 11, 2023.

Updated review: Jan. 11, 2023

I was contacted by someone at Office Depot who sent me an e-gift card as a refund and resolution. I tried to use it online with some issues. However, I was able to speak with someone who eventually placed my order over the phone. I’m still waiting to receive the product. Fingers crossed! But thank you, Robert for reaching out to me and for your help resolving my original complaint.

Original Review: Jan. 5, 2023

In October of 2022 I ordered a Mr. Coffee 3 piece mug set. The product arrived in a timely fashion, but contents were poorly packed and were chipped or broken completely. After contacting Office Depot customer service, I explained the poor packaging and asked for quality review before sending out the cups I was sent a second order at no charge. Again, everything inside was too damaged to use. I contacted customer service again, and again expressed the need for better packaging. Again, they sent me a box of broken cup pieces.

Upon requesting replacements, I discovered that they no longer had the product. I requested a refund, but the order had been sent at no charge, so no refund. After negotiations, I was promised a different cup set, and agreed to accept it. But at last they no longer carry that item either. They said they would credit me and I could order something else. The credit was for $0.00 because that replacement order was sent at no cost. What part of this is good service??? I called customer service again. Had to leave a message. No one has called me back! No one has responded to an email I sent! No one at Office Depot gives a hoot about my dilemma. Don't shop Office Depot if you expect them to care.

Office Depot Company Information