3.6/5 (801 ratings)

About Office Depot

Office Depot and OfficeMax sell office supplies, furniture, school supplies, cleaning products and electronics. With 1,300 stores nationwide, customers can take advantage of Office Depot’s and OfficeMax’s in-store services, including printing, copying, tech services, shredding and storage. All products are available online and in-store.

Office Depot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Office Depot?

Original review: March 1, 2022

I requested cancellation of my Business Select membership and received an email 02/14/22. Since then, I've had to call every day inquiring about the credit I was told I would see on my account by 02/16/22. Every time that I've called, I'm told someone in management would reach out to me within 24 hours, but of course 24 hours comes & goes and, I hear nothing. I was told last week that it was escalated on the 17th of February and, I should give it until at least yesterday 02/28/22. I checked my account today and, still nothing. I called again this morning only to be told once again that someone would reach out which I don't expect to happen, but I was also told that it was escalated on the 18th of February. With each call, I was informed of the 5-7 business days policy, but that policy no longer applies based off the initial email from the 14th.

I think it's unprofessional that Office Depot doesn't stick to their own policy, but has their reps constantly reminding customers of the policy. I'm frustrated about the run around that I keep getting regarding the matter and, I keep questioning why someone would need to reach out if the credit was supposedly sent to my account. I don't want to talk to anyone, I just wanted & expected the policy to be honored. If it was supposedly done there is no need for any conversation to be had. It was no problem at all to withdraw the funds, but having them returned is unnecessary fight. I have purchased a few items from Office Max in the form of office furniture as well as stationery and I was happy with all of my purchases, but after this I don't see myself ever doing business with them again. I'm highly aggravated and disappointed with them & this whole situation.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

We received a used desk from them sold as new. When we gave an honest review on their website about the product, they refused to publish it. So, do not trust reviews on officedepot.com. They only accept good or decent reviews. The desk we received had children's marker drawn all over it and obvious wear and tear. I am disappointed to know that Office Depot doctors their reviews. Nothing about the review was inappropriate and we were actually kind about how they handled the return. I would deduct at least 1 star from every product on their site to get an idea of the real review.

Office Depot response

I emailed Mr. John as there isn't any phone #. The customer was fully credited for the defective desk and told to discard it as we will not require him to return the desk. Office Depot does reserve the right to reject any review as it's in the terms and conditions online. I've emailed IT and attempting to get an answer why review was deleted. However Office Depot does reserve the right to reject an online review for any reason.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I ordered the HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e Wireless All-in-one Color Printer with HP+. It was to be delivered on 2/14/2022. Today, 2/16/2022, two add'l days my office is functioning without print services, a delivery was made which consisted of a tiny box containing an EPSON Scanner only. When I called customer service, first of all, the number shows up as Walmart Distribution Center even though the number is 1-800-GO-DEPOT. The rep apologized and set up a pickup of the wrong item and a replacement for the order I was supposed to get. She additionally offered me a $15 discount for the inconvenience, and I was initially satisfied. Until she asked me for my credit card to process the order! They wanted me to pay another $230 while I wait 2-3 business days for a refund. I told her not to process it as a refund, that it should be an exchange because I'm not paying twice and this wasn't my mistake.

Alexis told me my two options were to either pay again, or I could wait for the first one to be returned, which isn't scheduled for pickup until 2/22/22022!! I'm already without a printer for my business. I insisted it be done as an exchange and she said my only other option is to go to the store and buy it and process my own exchange by bringing the scanner with me. I told her that I don't have a store here, hence the reason I ordered online for delivery to begin with! She told me those are my only options, and I reminded her that she forgot an option, and that was to return the whole order and not process the replacement because I can buy it at Staples.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I would give a minus 2 if I could. I purchased a monitor from Office Depot and received the monitor on 12/28/2021. Here we are 43 days later and now the monitor just died. It will not turn on at all. I have never had an allegedly new or even used monitor die much less in 43 days. I contact customer no service at Office Depot only to be informed their policy prohibits the return of monitors! Say what? That is something that should flash across the screen so that customers can beware. Clearly they are aware they are selling junk and will not honor their damaged goods. Don't buy any electronics from this retailer because you will be tossing money down a hole.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Purchased a desk that came in a MILLION pieces. Very cheaply made. Once assembled the drawers do not line up. They fall off the tracks. I called them. They told me to take apart the whole thing and it had to fit back in the box to return...OK right or go through the book and circle every piece that does not work. Prob. 200 pieces to get replacements. Not a good experience. I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I purchased an item for the first time from Office Depot online. I did a screenshot of the order with the order number and all the details. I never received confirmation, and I never received notice of cancelation either. I only received email advertisements. My order never came, and it turned out that my order number was attached to somebody else's order. Finally, the customer service representative offered to reorder the item and found that the item was on backorder. The first time TRYING to order from Office Depot was the last. There's no excuse for not alerting me before canceling my order when they had no problem with loading my email with advertisements.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

This has been a miserable experience for me. In my seventy two years I have never experienced such terrible customer service. Office Depot should be ashamed of the way they treat their customers. I have not been able to speak to anyone, everything has been done through email. It is so much easier for the employees of Office Depot not to have a phone conversation, then they would have to acknowledge they are speaking to another human being that would like to be treated fairly.

I ordered a red oriental console cabinet and I was sent the black cabinet. I am not physically able to get the cabinet in a box to return it. Office Depot will not accept it other than boxed so I have no choice other than to keep it. The only compensation they would give me is $40 to keep the wrong cabinet. The two employees I dealt with should be ashamed that a more reasonable solution could not have been found. It is disgraceful what they have put me through. My sympathy goes out to other Office Depot customers with problems. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I purchased a Surface Pro 8 from their online store for what I thought was a good deal for a model with 16GB of Ram and a 512GB SSD. I was purchasing the device for work and specifically needed a model with 16GB of RAM. Despite every email confirming the configuration specs, they instead sent me a model with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. I contacted customer service to exchange this incorrect model for the configuration I ordered, and for over a week, all I got was the runaround. They then had the nerve to lie and tell and tell me that configuration I ordered was discontinued, which is clearly a lie. So now I'm returning the incorrect model, and once I get the refund, I will shop elsewhere. Office Depots pricing cannot be trusted and all they've done was waste my time and inconvenienced me for work.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I placed an online order and it was sent to a store in another state. I received an email letting me know my order was ready for pickup and if not picked up my money would be refunded. Needless to say I still have not received a refund after several calls to customer service.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I ordered 3 l shaped desks via business platform. I was told they were backordered after 10 days or so they got it in stock and used a cheap third party company called Courier Express. They kept the items in their warehouse for 4 plus days and did not even try to deliver. They seem to care least and I was made to call Office Depot and courier express with no accountability from either side. Not sure why office depot uses a cheap unreliable company like courier express.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

This is a store in which the clerk on register will immediately expel any customer wanting to make a serious purchase, add the Clerk's expelling of a novice group of customers. The Novice Customers WERE NOT WEARING MASKS, vs ME Wearing a Mask. In which there being an isolated argument between the Customers, because (Me) the Serious Customer was made PHYSICAL CONTACT (during the passing-by) from 1 of the group. As that that 1, from the group COUGHED (without covering his mouth) at (Me) the Serious Customer who was reviewing the store product, in decision to purchase.

I, BEING THE "SERIOUS CUSTOMER", ORDERED THE "CLERK", as I was standing outside the Office Depot, to "LOOK AT THE CAMERA." As the Clerk chose to respond; respond in the context, that he REFUSED to do such. Reponded that he only had concern to "kick out." These Novice Customers looked as if they only went in there to look around and waste time, and the Clerk KNEW THAT --- as he chose to put that against ME. I already noted when I originally entered store, that the Clerk glared at me and never greeted Me, as if he not had as good as day as other days. He remembers Me from my previous visit there. Maybe he feels insecure about his current job, and chooses to put it against the customers. Office Depot is more a phone-related customer service, rather than added to being an email customer service, as why I chose to make this review.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I have been waiting for 6 weeks to be refunded and have called and emailed a half dozen times being told I would be refunded to keep waiting 7 more business days. Still nothing, this company is pathetic.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I just want to recommend Taylor in Copy Services at the Avondale, AZ store. She was very knowledgeable and helpful and made my experience stress-free. I wanted to enlarge a piece of my art. This was one time when showing up in person worked better than an online process.

Office Depot response

The comment was forwarded to store DM and GM to acknowledge the employee

Robert Brown

Executive Customer Relations | Office Depot

6600 North Military Trail | Boca Raton, FL 33496 - C302B

Tel: 561.430.2308 | robert.brown2@officedepot.com

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I had an extended one year service plan ($129.99) with Office Depot and the plan was up for renewal. Office Depot sent me an email informing me that it would automatically renew unless I cancelled. I cancelled it immediately, as I didn't use it except for the original repairs. Well, Office Depot not only charged me for the service but the following day, charged me again! $260.00 taken out of my account AFTER I canceled! I called their customer support, and 4 hrs. and 4 customer support people later, they agreed I had canceled and verified it was canceled correctly but they refused to credit my account! I was told it had to go to a customer review board for their approval before my bank account would be credited.

Plain and simple, do you want to do business with a company who has your credit card number, takes a large amount out of your account without approval, and then refuse to admit their mistake or refund your money? I'll never do business with Office Depot again. I strongly recommend you don't either. Money grab by a large corporation who seems to not be able to compete against their competitors.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Manager at Richmond VA store. Office Depot does not back up products their products, sold under their name. Not even a white out product, cost just a few dollars. Dollar less than Name Brand did not work after only one use. Went back to store. Only wanted exchange, not my money. Manager refused and was disrespectful to customer. I don't complain usually. But will not be a customer anymore. M.T.

Original review: June 13, 2021

The service manager was fantastic!!! The store on 245 E Bell Rd!! Her name is **!! She is the BEST!!! I would have never shopped at this store again if it was not for her knowledge and great attitude to help!! Thank you **.

Dear Venus,

Thank you for letting us know about the excellent service you receive from one of our stores. I would love to be able to share your comment with the management staff. Would you please reach out with more details to customer.relations@officedepot.com, so your thank you can be shared?

Vera B
Executive Customer Relations

210620-000024

Original review: June 8, 2021

I ordered a Dell laptop. I was sent email that the order was received and then that it was shipped and would arrive in two business days. When I looked into tracking the package on the expected day of delivery I saw that it was being shipped by a "third party" but it gave no name. It was not delivered that day. OK it was noted as "expected" delivery. Next day... No delivery. I tried calling Office Depot customer service and was in the loop of "sorry all our agents are busy". Having experienced this before by some companies who never intend to pick up I hung up and called back choosing the "order product" choice. And what do you know someone picked up very quickly. After getting nowhere with the person I could not understand I asked for the carrier's name.

As I waited for a supervisor to pick up (who never did and has yet to call me back as promised) my husband found a number for the carrier Laser Ship. Supposedly they tried to deliver twice but was unable to. Funny... We were home all day both days. Even funnier is that the item was put on the truck at 11:09 a.m. in a city an hour away and then was not able to be delivered at 11:10 a.m. I would advise not to buy from Office Depot and to always ask during any online purchase who the shipper will be. If it is to be Laser Ship run away from ordering.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Charged $156.99 for one TN750 toner with no promised $20.00 credit for the three cores returned. Web site advertised same toner for $97.99. Had to drive back to store which did refund the purchase price hence the 2 stars. Contacted them to discuss and text came back "we are facing some technical issues .... Kindly I request you to please contact us some other time." Obvious management is out of touch with their past good customer service, no surprise stores are closing.

Original review: April 27, 2021

First off, the website is user friendly! I just feel DEFEATED. Paid $182 for a product that I have not yet received. Sat 04/17 - Used their print service online and was told that the product would be delivered Wed 04/21. Thu 04/22 - Called and was told that it was still processing and would be shipped out Fri 04/23 for delivery 04/26. Mon 04/26 (morning around 9AM) - called and was told that they would escalate and I would get a call/email back in 24 hours. Also messaged via Facebook (didn't want to post to put them on blast - no response on this either). Tue 04/27 - called again, job is still processing, no update, and they would reach out in 24 hours.

Original review: April 16, 2021

For about 8 years I have been using the same Office Depot to print a form that I use in my business. They always do a great job, there polices change but that is with every business. My issue is today 04/16/21 I was called by one of the printing personal informing me that my forms was ready. It took me 15 minutes to get there, however when arriving both printing personal was busy. I waited my time and Carla if I have the name right she had Red hair. She stated how can I help in a very sarcastic way. I stated my name and the name of my business, and she stated we do not do cell phone repairs here and I stated that is not what I ask. I stated my name again and that I was there to pick up some forms, stated that there was no forms for my company.

I informed her that someone called my and informed me that they were ready. She went over and ask the other person and she informed her of the forms. She did not say, "I am sorry," or anything. She just started checking me out and gave me the amount. She walked away and ask the other person to finish the transaction. I informed the other person that I felt like I did something wrong, because she was so rude and walked away without saying anything. I would have given Office Depot a 5 star rating but when you experience something like that it makes you think twice about going again if she is there.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I ordered an office chair from Office Depot. The chair was delivered to someone else (a stranger). The recipient called to tell me he had a chair delivered to him with my name and phone number. He called Office Depot to report the error, and the chair was picked up by UPS and delivered on 3/25/21 to Office Depot in Columbus, OH. I have been told by the store manager and customer service that it takes 24 hours to get the refund. It's been 72 hours, and I'm still waiting. The store manager (#6069 Farmington Hills, MI) **, has given me the run around. He should be reprimanded for such horrible customer service. He gave me the 800 customer service number, who says he should have handled it, and that it was out of their hands.

Resolution response: April 17, 2021

Office Depot has resolved our peeling desk top issue. Vera ** from Office Depot was amazing. She initiated a case resolution, followed up with all departments involved, and provided constant update status to us. Then concluded in with Home Nations furnishing a new (replacement) desk top. We are so happy to see this horrible looking desk top replaced. Thank you Vera and Office Depot.

Original review: March 15, 2021

WARNING! Do not purchase any office or any other furniture from Office Depot or Office Max. I purchased an Office Manager Desk and a File case, and the PAPER (THAT’S RIGHT PAPER) laminate is peeling off of both items. I sent a request to HOME NATIONS (Manufacturer of their furniture and outfit that supposedly warrants their products for 5 years) to replace the top of the Managers Desk, which is peeling. Home Nations refused to honor their warranty and said it was normal wear and tear. They indicated the damaged area was from laying my sleeves or hands on the desk not a product defect. AS IF ONE SHOULD NEVER LAY THEIR ARMS ON A DESK OR ANY FURNITURE FOR THAT MATTER.

The problem is they lay a paper laminate on their products and stop at the top edge of the furniture edge, then there is a 1/32 to 1/64 gap at the top. Then they proceed to place the laminate after that gap and wrap around the lip to the bottom of the top. This is peeling waiting to happen. This is not wear and tear. In fact, it’s a major product defect.

What should have been done is to continue from the top of the desk or furniture, wrapping around the curve or straight edge and ending at the bottom of the lip. This would result in no gap to allow for peeling. If one looks on close up pictures on some products on their website, you can see the gap I am addressing. Of course, they do not show many close-up pics of items on their website which would reveal this separation.

I am having the same problem on the file case, purchased at the same time, that has a printer on top of it. Why then is it starting to also peel in the same area? We are certainly not laying our sleeves on hands on it! Recommend not purchasing from either Office Depot or Office Max as THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. IT’S EASY TO BOGUSLY OFFER A 5 YEAR WARRANTY AND NOT STAND BEHIND IT. What a poor excuse for a customer responsive company.

Office Depot response

Hi Alex, I'm sorry to read about the difficulty that you are experiencing with your desk. I'd like to help, could you please send a copy of this complaint along with your contact info (this site doesn't share it with us) to customer.relations@officedepot.com? Upon receipt a member of our Executive Customer Relations Team will connect with you and get this sorted out. Again, I'm really sorry about the difficulty you are running into with your desk.

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: March 13, 2021

This is not a full service chain -- they just want to sell products, and if they don't work, that's tough 'stuff' for the customer. I'm an older man -- 68 -- and I don't know tech. Some help would be nice. Stores are also understaffed.

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your business and your candid comments. I'll make sure we share your review with our retail leadership team.

Casey A

Office Depot

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I’ve been trying to get a whiteboard for the past 40 days through Office Depot. I placed order for a dry erase whiteboard which arrived in a super damaged box as if things will fall off if I even lift it. I accepted it considering that boxes tend to get damaged during shipping yet the product is usually in an acceptable condition. I opened the box and most of the crucial parts were missing. I contacted the customer support and got a replacement order placed which arrived super late and to my surprise, it arrived in the same condition as the first package and the parts are missing AGAIN! Also, there is no sign of merchant credit on my payment account and their customer resolution team is never available and responds back after 2-3 days. This is a highly unreliable brand and should probably do all the customers a favor by closing their business because there’s no point in running a business if quality cannot be maintained and customers are not satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Do I have to give it any star since they obviously don't care. Order not arriving. I cancelled and it arrives 5 days later. I called to return it and for two weeks and daily calls and emails still waiting for the promised pick up that never comes. They have the nerve to say I'll get my refund when it gets to their warehouse, like that will ever happen. Asked if I can bring it to the store and they say no. Asked for a shipping label and I'll send it, no response. They are quick to charge your credit card though. This has to be illegal.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Purchased a graphics card from Office Depot. Shipping time went from 5 days to 33 days once I clicked purchase. My CC was charged at the time of purchase. The item remained available online for another 1 1/2 weeks. 33 days came and went, no card. Office Depot customer service swore to me that they took care of it, the card existed (I asked several times if it ever existed) they gave me a priority # and said they would rush the card.

36 hrs later I was sent a email stating the order was canceled and that I would get my money back (still waiting). In those 33 plus days waiting for a card that didn’t exist, graphic cards have all but doubled in price. How many others fell for this scam I wonder? They held my money until they couldn’t anymore? I also bought a hdmi-mini DisplayPort adapter for that video card the day after online purchase from my local Office Depot and am now stuck with it because of return policy. I normally shop Newegg, Amazon for tech and learned a lesson from this... Do Not Trust Office Depot!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I purchased a 4K Fire Stick for my TV so I could use the Alexa features to view my Ring doorbell and Lorex security cameras. The purchase price was on sale for $39.99 plus I had $45 in reward points so I used that to pay for the entire purchase with the warranty. It said it was on backorder until Jan 6 which was fine. They emailed a few times between Dec 13 when I ordered and Jan 6th just saying it's backordered even though their website frequently showed it in stock.

Jan 9th they emailed me saying the order was canceled which was annoying because the item was listed in stock with next day or 2 day delivery several times but "whatever" I thought, I'll just reorder. Except when I went to reorder they raised the price $10 to $49.99 plus $9.99 shipping and the warranty was $6 instead of $3 so it went from a $47 order to a $70 just like that plus a month wasted time. I coulda ordered it for $40 from AMZ during Christmas time directly and had it next day but I wanted to use my reward points before they expired in a week. I was ready to let go on them but kept calm to give them a chance to rectify the issue.

I contacted customer support explaining how messed up it is to string me along for a month then cancel my order after jacking the price up $25. They responded back apologizing and said they would honor the original price + shipping as long as I called their support line within 48 hours to approve and complete the transaction as they cannot do it via email support. I called the next morning before work and the wait time was only a couple minutes. I had the matter settled in no more than 10 minutes and the agent even expedited the order for the inconvenience and it arrived the next day.

Even though the issue could've been avoided in the first place, I appreciate their effort and willingness to honor my order price. I leave reviews for products all the time because I always reference them for every purchase I make but don't usually go out of my way to leave a review for a company as a whole but in this case, I felt Office Depot's customer service was definitely worthy of acknowledgement. Thank You Office Depot.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

In the past month I have ordered two things from Office Depot. They have the worst customer service that I have ever experienced and I have been using online shopping for many years. One item was extremely late and it took several days for them to even bother to reply to my inquiries. It finally showed up and was damaged but usable.

The second item was a chair. Two days after the date it was to be delivered I contacted them to get an update. It took them 3 days to bother to reply and the reply was just to tell me someone would be in touch within 48 hours. 5 days later I got an email claiming the chair was no longer available and saying my order would be canceled. The exact same chair (identical including color) is still being sold on their website and is listed as in stock for immediate shipment.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

Went online on Office Depot. Saw Logitech mouse for $12.95. No shipping costs listed, now I see my PayPal account has a $10 shipping charge, this was not shown on my invoice. Why don't they show the shipping charge, this is dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I just had the worst experience in purchasing anything in my entire adult life and I'm 69 years old. I was told my order was out for delivery on 12/30/2020 and I was told it would arrive by 5 pm and later I was told it would still arrive by 9 pm. The furniture never arrived. I was told it would arrive the next day & it did not arrive. I then was told it would arrive on 01/04/2021 and it still did not arrive. It did arrive on 01/05/2021 at 3:40 pm. I was told by the contractor the boxes could only be left on the front porch or garage, but the contractor that assembles the furniture for Office Depot wants them in the room where they will be assembled. These boxes were too heavy for me to move on my own.

If I had known I would receive the absolute worst service I could imagine, I would not have purchased your furniture, and being told that I had to move the boxes was more than I could tolerate. Fortunately for me, the delivery person was kind enough to put them in the room where they are to be assembled. Please do not use the corona-virus as an excuse. The communication has been horrific with the vendor used for customer service except for the supervisor, May, that took over my delivery issue and got it handled. Previous to her, I had been lied to by a front line person and hung up on by what was told to me to be a supervisor. This model of business is not sustainable in my opinion and to be sure, I will NEVER order anything from Office Depot again. Extremely, disappointed!!!!

Office Depot Company Information