LitterMaid

Compare Pet Care Companies

Research top Pet Care Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It's a horrible product... I've spent over 100.00 dollars for this stupid contraption... It can't even lift a little clump. It always gets stuck right before it goes to dump it. I've spent over 100.00 on cat litter. It recommends premium cat litter so I went out and bought the world's best clumping litter. I have bought every litter out there and It still doesn't work... What a piece of crap. Companies should feel bad for us spending all that money for something that doesn't work.

I received my LitterMaid 980. I bought 2 of them and set one up to make sure the cats wouldn't use it and they have used it ever since. Forget the old litter box. They use this one. I am getting ready to get rid of the other old litter box and set up my other new one. This was a great purchase. And I line the receptacle with a shopping bag and just lift the bag out and it's so easy.

I bought a LitterMaid litter box in late 2014 model number LM-86579. Since then I was sent by the company 2 more to replace the first one. The product stinks and I would not recommend this to anyone looking for a litter box. Buy a manual one and you will never have this problem.

I bought one of these around 2002. It required close monitoring of the level of the litter, and frequent emptying of the receptacle. The cats liked it fine. If a cat had diarrhea, though, the waste stuck to the rake and required hand cleaning. The motor always seemed weak like it was barely going. It only lasted a few months then jammed and that was the end of it.

My first Littermaid was model LM100, which I purchased in 1997. It was awesome and lasted for four years. Thought I received good performance, considered it has worn out and purchased a new Littlermaid; however, it was a different model. That is where everything went downhill. Over the years since then, I periodically buy a new Littermaid, hoping the newest model would be close to the original Littermaid. Never received performance anywhere near the original and most recently the device simply failed to work fair.

I tried to work with the Littermaid representatives to get the last and most disappointing Littermaid fixed or replaced. They offered replacement, said it was a known problem, instructed me to cut and return a wire to them, which I did. NINE months later a newer model arrived. I was excited to resume less litter box time, the newest model worked worst of all! Littermaid simply never responded to my telephone calls and emails. Guess they do not care if Littermaid units continue to sell in retail stores and online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

I have been a LitterMaid user for at least the last 18 years. They used to last about 4 years and work wonderful. But the last 3 or 4 I have bought have only lasted about 1 year and 3 months. Just enough time past the warranty. At 150 - 199 dollars I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the purchase anymore. The rake seems to stop retracting and no matter what is done it stays at dumping end of the box.

These LitterMaid Elite aren't so Elite. I was use to my old Scoopable litter box. It lasted for 15 years. I only had to empty the litter tray and that was it. Never fussed about nothing. Everyday I am constantly cleaning out the box and doing what the Elite is suppose to do. I went thru one in about 6 months having issues with it all along and LitterMaid finally replaced it with a refurbished one which I am using now. It is doing the same as the other. (Not cleaning the box out) I looked for the restart switch that you press 13 times after the unit's light has flashed because of a malfunction of the litter tray? I can't locate it and I can't locate the information anywhere online. My unit is too old for them to talk to me now so I am out of luck. These boxes are too expensive and not worth more than $50.

Years ago I had one of the original LitterMaid units and it worked without problems for about 5 years. About 6 months ago I saw the mega unit and with 3 cats I decided to buy the mega unit. This was the biggest mistake that I have ever made. I could have bought 10 conventional litter boxes and had less work to do. Every time one of my cats goes and uses the mega and the unit starts to clean it gets jammed and you have to help move the rake to clean the box. The litterbox has 2 lines on it to show how much litter should be put in. But this does not help. My other litter boxes need to be serviced once a day but the LitterMaid needs to be serviced every time a cat uses it. What a ripoff!

THIS COMPANY IS SO BAD, one could suspect it's a Mafia affiliate. :-) I had a LitterMaid Self Cleaning Litter Box bought about ten years ago. Liked it so well, bought another for my mother. The first one lasted three years. So saying I bought two more, one for downstairs and one for my office upstairs. They lasted about a year. Inherited mother's unit, it lasted three months. Step daughter gave me theirs, it didn't work automatically, then it died.

Wrote LitterMaid asking for schematic so I could troubleshoot the circuit board. They refused saying it was proprietary. What a Joke, about as Proprietary as a YUGO. Reading that they had Increased the motor's power and upgraded the electrics, like a D.A. DIMWIT, I bought two more. They lasted 45 days, both are dead. Checking, I have found that my brother's quit, my daughter's quit, my stepdaughter's quit and my son's quit. The company should sell a kit with a much better & stronger motor and metal replacement gears, then the circuit board would blow. The Better Business Bureau should Blacklist them.

I purchased my second littermaid box three months ago. The first lasted nearly a year and would have lasted longer, but I left for several days and the receptacle became too full. The rake continued its sweep without stopping, so of course the motor burned out. The company was very responsive, but I could not produce a proof of purchase. Now I have moved to a condo and am in closer quarters with the cat, so decided to try again. I spent $89.00 at Walmart and could not be more pleased.

I know now to be alert to motor sounds and to turn off the machine if a clog becomes stuck to the rake. My cat has a varied diet, so her wasted products are varied. If I plan to be away during the day, I turn the machine off and turn it on when I return. I have experimented with different cat litters, finding some too heavy, too dusty, or non clumping. I recently purchased a clumping, 99 percent dust-free litter with baking soda that works perfectly and absorbs odor completely. Keeping the machine free of dust is important, as is following the manufacturer's instructions.

I have had this pan for a four years and only use it about 1 month each year when we are on vacation. Of course it stopped working, and I am so very careful about cleaning it, using the proper litter, etc. I totally agree with all the comments that this is indeed a piece of junk.

The rake fills with wastes and has to be cleaned frequently. It does not clean the litter very well. That is why they give you a scoop. The tines do not go to the bottom of the pan. The rake sticks and has to be pushed. You buy a self cleaning litter box to free yourself from constant maintenance. Keep looking there are better alternatives out there. I also believe that Littermaid makes lots of fake positive reviews everywhere.

I am a new owner of a LitterMaid and the only complaint I have is the need to empty the waste receptacle. The tray is so flimsy I am afraid it will break apart. My cat loves the fact that her litter box is kept clean. In fact, she will urinate and come out to watch the rake work. When the process is over, she goes back in for a second visit. I wish LitterMaid would offer better accessories.

I purchased a littermaid about 15 yrs. ago because I had like 4 cats using it. I think it would work great if you had fewer cats, lol. I think 4 or more cats are too many because my cats would wait in line and it would not give the rake or the litter time to harden up. Well anyway now I have a new kitty (just one) and was thinking of purchasing a new littermaid but after reading the reviews I decided not to purchase one.

I ordered a Littermaid 980 self-cleaning litter box and it worked well for almost 6 weeks before the motor started to fail. I had read several reviews that indicated that defective motors were a common problem, but that Littermaid had replaced the motor or product when that occurred, so I decided to take the risk and spent the $120. I carefully followed all of the manufacturer guidelines for recommended litters, litter depth, cleaning, etc, in hopes of avoiding mechanical problems. Alas, within 6 weeks, the motor started to bog down and make awful clicking noises when trying to operate the rake. Soon, the motor burned out completely. When the motor started to fail, I emailed Littermaid and anticipated a simple resolution. Their website promised a response to emails within 72 hours. After three weeks with no response (I was traveling most of that), I emailed again.

A week later, still no response. Same again a week after that. In addition, I made multiple attempts to contact the company by phone, but even though I called well BEFORE the published end of business (5:30pm eastern) midweek, I have only gotten a voicemail message saying I called outside of business hours. At this point, I have no choice but to believe that this company is intentionally avoiding any and all customer contact in order to avoid meeting their warranty obligations. I could not possibly be more disappointed in the product OR in the company. Especially the company.

I have had a Littermaid cat box for the past 20 years and all had been good until about a year and a half ago. The one I had for about 6 years finally gave up so I bought a new one in June of 2013. It worked OK for the first few months but then began to bog down and eventually started making a high clicking sound like the gears were stripping. After that it simply choked. It seemed also that the waste lumps were now much bigger than ever before, and the cats were the same cats. We finally gave up and bought another one. This one started off the same but within a month we were back again to the same problem. I called Littermaid and they sent me out a new box free of charge, but again within a month the same problem. I think they may have cheapened the motor or outsourced to China. They just don't work anymore so I would not recommend buying one.

I have an older LitterMaid that worked for my cat for years. And last time I checked it still worked great. The problem is I haven't had a cat in years. It's just sitting here gathering dust.

I was given my Litter Maid 580 as a Christmas gift from my mother in Dec 2013. It worked fine for about 3 months (outside the loud and slow auto rake) but after that I ran into a problem, the auto rake would jam up in the middle of the process even with very little waste in the litter. So I cleaned out the box, put new litter in and it worked fine for all of 24 hours and boom back to having problems. After about a week of this problem it stopped only to have a bigger one start after it had completed the cycle of taking the waste out and into the bin it would literally fall back on the track into the litter box.

So I called Litter Maid to get a replacement and talked to a man named Jos. After I was done with him two weeks later I received my replacement box. Now with this replacement box like its predecessor it lasted about 3 months before I ran into the same set of problems. So now I am on my 2nd replacement box and 3rd box overall in a span of less than 10 months. I hope my mother's Litter Maid box that she has had for 8 years does not break anytime soon because these new boxes are complete garbage!

I bought a Litter Maid when they first came out and I loved it! It took my cat a few days to get used to it since she was getting old, but when she did, I think she enjoyed having a clean litter box every time she needed to go. And I liked it because it helped in keeping the odor down. It didn't last too awfully long, 2-3 years. My cat passed and I didn't get another for several years, but when I did . . . As several people have complained about the grates not going all the way down to the bottom of the pan, the motor was quite loud, and mine also goes so slow it seems it might quit in the middle of the cycle. I too have tried different "premium litters" to no avail.

I had a littermaid over 10 years ago. It worked wonderfully. That is the reason I purchased another one for my new cat. The one I have now is a joke. I don't even know where to begin. The rake, which doesn't even get the bottom of the pan, gets crusted and throws the litter behind the plastic container, or stuck on the cat. He was in the middle of his business, and it turned on pushing him out and all the mess with him. The top lid of the plastic container never stays put, constantly coming out of it's place and leaves the poop and litter all over the top all piled up. The litter, no matter which I've used, makes no difference. I've had to manually remove all the crud at the bottom of the box on every container change, which was every few days if I was lucky, and the containers, very expensive.

Luckily, they give you a scooper, surely because they know that's what you will be eventually doing. It's been 2-3 months, and our littermaid has just stopped working. Finally some piece from the loud motor that scares the heck out of you in the middle of the night. After reading all these complaints, and seeing the poor customer service, I will never purchase any LitterMaid product again, nor will I recommend LitterMaid to anyone. It is a waste of money because it's simply not the same product as it was years ago.

I bought my LitterMaid only 2 mos. ago and has stopped working. I have to rake it myself almost every day because it doesn't get up all the waste. From reading the reviews on here, it sounds like we are buying an inferior product compared to the old ones. I am taking mine back to Petco and asking for my money back. I'll just buy a regular litter box again and use that.

Worked okay for three weeks, then it stopped. I found the plastic around the drive piece broken. And am up to my elbows in cat crap and litter. Called the 800 number and they are not open on Sunday.

More work than a regular cat box. Rack does not scrape deep enough in box therefore everything accumulates right at edge just before receptacle. Experimenting with multiple "premium cat litters" made no difference. A big waste of money and extra time.

I purchased a LitterMaid about 17 years ago and used it through the years for 5 different cats. It has been the best purchase I ever made. Our cats loved having the box clean every time they stepped into it. It did have a few drawbacks: it was loud and the little plastic inserts did not last very long because they could not handle the weight of the cat debris raked into it. A year ago the track started hanging and it would no longer clean the box. That is when I realized how good a job it had been doing all these years. I wish I could get this one fixed or find a good one that works this well. They sure knew how to make them back then and I miss having it work and so does my cat.

I purchased the Litter Maid litter box in October 2013. It is not only poorly designed it is cheaply constructed at a consumer cost of $130.00 The flimsy PLASTIC TRAY SERVES NO PURPOSE ASIDE FROM AN ADDED PROFIT MARGIN FOR THE COMPANY (THAT'S HOW PRINTER COMPANY MAKE THEIR MONEY BY OUR PURCHASE OF CARTRIDGES). IT TAKES 6 MINUTES LONGER THAN A REGULAR, Standard Litter box cleaning. The cat cannot urinate as it will stick to the rail comb and has to be removed manually. In short it is one of the worst purchases I ever made and I will let Petco know.

We've had our LitterMaid Elite for almost a year now. We've only had 2 issues with it, the rake at one time wouldn't run the whole cycle. We took the top of the box off, cleaned the tracks and it worked fine. And for a little while, it kept turning itself off. We are still not sure why, but it's working fine now. My biggest complaint is finding replacement parts. My teen took the box out for a hose down (helps with the sticky litter on the bottom if you hose the littler compartment every few weeks), and I don't know what she did with the part that holds to waste receptacles and the hinged lid. So, now we can't use the box on auto scoop because there's nothing to hold the parts in place. I've looked all over and can't find them. You'd think LitterMaid would have the parts on their site.

I purchased 2 LitterMaid 580s at least 8 years ago. One of them quit working because I cleaned it wrong (I got water in the sensor). I called the company before I realized that it quit working because of my stupid mistake and they replaced the litter box, for which I am grateful and slightly ashamed of myself for breaking it to begin with. Anyway, these two litter boxes have functioned perfectly all this time, never had any problem with them that was not my own doing, like not cleaning them often enough and too much litter.

Of course, you have to scrape the bottom of the box depending on what kind of litter you use, it clumps hard and adheres to the bottom of the box. I have switched to Scoop Away and am very happy with it. Now, one of my litter boxes after continuous use for at least 8 years has broken, the electrical wire that goes to the raking arm broke. So, I'm shopping for a new one. After reading the reviews, I sure hate to put out the money to buy another one if it's going to work so badly. But, I'm leaning toward buying a LitterMaid 680. Hope it works out as well as the old ones.

Some parts broke and finding replacements was hard... However, I was more than satisfied with the initial product. Why can't I find it on the Internet for less, as most of my stores have quit carrying it??

We have purchased a Littermaid product in the past and have not had any problems; however when the original product stopped functioning properly, we decided to purchase another one. What a mistake!!! This is just JUNK! It would not clean the litter box the way it should. We had to always use the rake to clean it completely. Additionally, we went through a lot more litter as it would spill out of the bottom by the holding tray. We spent a lot of money on this product and we are very angry that it is not working the way it should. I will NEVER purchase another product from them again. It was a real waste of our money!!!

It worked great for a while, but soon after the warranty ran out, it would jam at the least amount of resistance. It got to the point where I had to move it along in order for it to run to the emptying tray. At first it had no problem returning to the starting point, but after a few weeks it would jam on the return trip too. Very disappointing.

LitterMaid Company Profile