1.72/5
Based on 89 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

LitterMaid

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 24, 2017

380 LitterMaid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

This only holds about 1 in of litter and not one bit more otherwise the rake will not move forward to clean it. Not only is it severely under-powered, it is noisy and the cats are scared of it. They refuse to use it and I have 4 cats. It needs to be 2-3 in deep for litter and increase power by about 700% while making it quiet.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Litter Maid Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box - This was a horrible experience! This item costs a lot, is a little confusing to assemble, works poorly (poop sticks to the rake through several cycles), and when the little compartment opens to scoop the waste into, it releases an ungodly odor. The disposable waste containers are flimsy and wobbly and tend to open when you remove them from the box to throw away. Contrary to instruction manual info, the unit does not stop operating when a cat jumps into the box. My cats seemed to be able to finally get out of the way of the relentless rake just fine, but they are young and spry. What about an older frail cat? Seems dangerous. Lastly, as if these complaints aren't enough, the area for the cat to squat is small, so not too feasible for larger cats. I unplugged this mess of a machine and will use it as a plain old litter box. Or not.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 15, 2017

My 1st litter box was great, worked for I don't know how many years. I've had the cat for 3+, my son had her for about 2 so it lasted at least 5 years before it died. So my son bought me another one, LM680C. It worked for 2 weeks. Now I figured what the problem is, one end of the rake bar is lower than the other, so when there is a clump on that side, it get stuck at the receptacle and can't go into dump mode. Customer Service doesn't return my calls, not it answers my emails. They work from 8:10 to 5:30 EST, and it feel like one person handles all calls as it's always busy. Had I known LitterMaid's gotten so bad, I'd get a product from another manufacturer. LitterMaid should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: June 12, 2017

We purchased & were delivered this product (Littermaid LM-86579 Multi-Cat Litter Box) in January of 2017 & in May of 2017 it began jamming as it attempted to deliver the cat litter to the receptacle box. This product is advertised as being for multi-cat households, however in our household of 5 cats & 4 litter boxes, it lasted less than 5 months! Yes, definitely not as advertised!

Original review: May 1, 2017

In Nov 2016, we bought a LitterMaid model LM 86579 because we were going out of town for a week and didn't want the house sitter to have to worry about cleaning the litter box daily. It worked well until mid Feb then it started jamming. This afternoon I cleaned it out and put fresh litter in it and turned around to leave and the pronged scoop fell out on one side and the cogwheel fell into the litter box.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: May 30, 2016

It's a horrible product... I've spent over 100.00 dollars for this stupid contraption... It can't even lift a little clump. It always gets stuck right before it goes to dump it. I've spent over 100.00 on cat litter. It recommends premium cat litter so I went out and bought the world's best clumping litter. I have bought every litter out there and It still doesn't work... What a piece of crap. Companies should feel bad for us spending all that money for something that doesn't work.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I received my LitterMaid 980. I bought 2 of them and set one up to make sure the cats wouldn't use it and they have used it ever since. Forget the old litter box. They use this one. I am getting ready to get rid of the other old litter box and set up my other new one. This was a great purchase. And I line the receptacle with a shopping bag and just lift the bag out and it's so easy.

Original review: April 1, 2016

I bought a LitterMaid litter box in late 2014 model number LM-86579. Since then I was sent by the company 2 more to replace the first one. The product stinks and I would not recommend this to anyone looking for a litter box. Buy a manual one and you will never have this problem.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

I bought one of these around 2002. It required close monitoring of the level of the litter, and frequent emptying of the receptacle. The cats liked it fine. If a cat had diarrhea, though, the waste stuck to the rake and required hand cleaning. The motor always seemed weak like it was barely going. It only lasted a few months then jammed and that was the end of it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

My first Littermaid was model LM100, which I purchased in 1997. It was awesome and lasted for four years. Thought I received good performance, considered it has worn out and purchased a new Littlermaid; however, it was a different model. That is where everything went downhill. Over the years since then, I periodically buy a new Littermaid, hoping the newest model would be close to the original Littermaid. Never received performance anywhere near the original and most recently the device simply failed to work fair.

I tried to work with the Littermaid representatives to get the last and most disappointing Littermaid fixed or replaced. They offered replacement, said it was a known problem, instructed me to cut and return a wire to them, which I did. NINE months later a newer model arrived. I was excited to resume less litter box time, the newest model worked worst of all! Littermaid simply never responded to my telephone calls and emails. Guess they do not care if Littermaid units continue to sell in retail stores and online.

Original review: June 21, 2015

I have been a LitterMaid user for at least the last 18 years. They used to last about 4 years and work wonderful. But the last 3 or 4 I have bought have only lasted about 1 year and 3 months. Just enough time past the warranty. At 150 - 199 dollars I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the purchase anymore. The rake seems to stop retracting and no matter what is done it stays at dumping end of the box.

Original review: May 28, 2015

These LitterMaid Elite aren't so Elite. I was use to my old Scoopable litter box. It lasted for 15 years. I only had to empty the litter tray and that was it. Never fussed about nothing. Everyday I am constantly cleaning out the box and doing what the Elite is suppose to do. I went thru one in about 6 months having issues with it all along and LitterMaid finally replaced it with a refurbished one which I am using now. It is doing the same as the other. (Not cleaning the box out) I looked for the restart switch that you press 13 times after the unit's light has flashed because of a malfunction of the litter tray? I can't locate it and I can't locate the information anywhere online. My unit is too old for them to talk to me now so I am out of luck. These boxes are too expensive and not worth more than $50.

Original review: May 18, 2015

Years ago I had one of the original LitterMaid units and it worked without problems for about 5 years. About 6 months ago I saw the mega unit and with 3 cats I decided to buy the mega unit. This was the biggest mistake that I have ever made. I could have bought 10 conventional litter boxes and had less work to do. Every time one of my cats goes and uses the mega and the unit starts to clean it gets jammed and you have to help move the rake to clean the box. The litterbox has 2 lines on it to show how much litter should be put in. But this does not help. My other litter boxes need to be serviced once a day but the LitterMaid needs to be serviced every time a cat uses it. What a ripoff!

Original review: March 20, 2015

THIS COMPANY IS SO BAD, one could suspect it's a Mafia affiliate. :-) I had a LitterMaid Self Cleaning Litter Box bought about ten years ago. Liked it so well, bought another for my mother. The first one lasted three years. So saying I bought two more, one for downstairs and one for my office upstairs. They lasted about a year. Inherited mother's unit, it lasted three months. Step daughter gave me theirs, it didn't work automatically, then it died.

Wrote LitterMaid asking for schematic so I could troubleshoot the circuit board. They refused saying it was proprietary. What a Joke, about as Proprietary as a YUGO. Reading that they had Increased the motor's power and upgraded the electrics, like a D.A. DIMWIT, I bought two more. They lasted 45 days, both are dead. Checking, I have found that my brother's quit, my daughter's quit, my stepdaughter's quit and my son's quit. The company should sell a kit with a much better & stronger motor and metal replacement gears, then the circuit board would blow. The Better Business Bureau should Blacklist them.

Original review: March 7, 2015

I purchased my second littermaid box three months ago. The first lasted nearly a year and would have lasted longer, but I left for several days and the receptacle became too full. The rake continued its sweep without stopping, so of course the motor burned out. The company was very responsive, but I could not produce a proof of purchase. Now I have moved to a condo and am in closer quarters with the cat, so decided to try again. I spent $89.00 at Walmart and could not be more pleased.

I know now to be alert to motor sounds and to turn off the machine if a clog becomes stuck to the rake. My cat has a varied diet, so her wasted products are varied. If I plan to be away during the day, I turn the machine off and turn it on when I return. I have experimented with different cat litters, finding some too heavy, too dusty, or non clumping. I recently purchased a clumping, 99 percent dust-free litter with baking soda that works perfectly and absorbs odor completely. Keeping the machine free of dust is important, as is following the manufacturer's instructions.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I have had this pan for a four years and only use it about 1 month each year when we are on vacation. Of course it stopped working, and I am so very careful about cleaning it, using the proper litter, etc. I totally agree with all the comments that this is indeed a piece of junk.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

The rake fills with wastes and has to be cleaned frequently. It does not clean the litter very well. That is why they give you a scoop. The tines do not go to the bottom of the pan. The rake sticks and has to be pushed. You buy a self cleaning litter box to free yourself from constant maintenance. Keep looking there are better alternatives out there. I also believe that Littermaid makes lots of fake positive reviews everywhere.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

I am a new owner of a LitterMaid and the only complaint I have is the need to empty the waste receptacle. The tray is so flimsy I am afraid it will break apart. My cat loves the fact that her litter box is kept clean. In fact, she will urinate and come out to watch the rake work. When the process is over, she goes back in for a second visit. I wish LitterMaid would offer better accessories.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

I purchased a littermaid about 15 yrs. ago because I had like 4 cats using it. I think it would work great if you had fewer cats, lol. I think 4 or more cats are too many because my cats would wait in line and it would not give the rake or the litter time to harden up. Well anyway now I have a new kitty (just one) and was thinking of purchasing a new littermaid but after reading the reviews I decided not to purchase one.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

I ordered a Littermaid 980 self-cleaning litter box and it worked well for almost 6 weeks before the motor started to fail. I had read several reviews that indicated that defective motors were a common problem, but that Littermaid had replaced the motor or product when that occurred, so I decided to take the risk and spent the $120. I carefully followed all of the manufacturer guidelines for recommended litters, litter depth, cleaning, etc, in hopes of avoiding mechanical problems. Alas, within 6 weeks, the motor started to bog down and make awful clicking noises when trying to operate the rake. Soon, the motor burned out completely. When the motor started to fail, I emailed Littermaid and anticipated a simple resolution. Their website promised a response to emails within 72 hours. After three weeks with no response (I was traveling most of that), I emailed again.

A week later, still no response. Same again a week after that. In addition, I made multiple attempts to contact the company by phone, but even though I called well BEFORE the published end of business (5:30pm eastern) midweek, I have only gotten a voicemail message saying I called outside of business hours. At this point, I have no choice but to believe that this company is intentionally avoiding any and all customer contact in order to avoid meeting their warranty obligations. I could not possibly be more disappointed in the product OR in the company. Especially the company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

I have had a Littermaid cat box for the past 20 years and all had been good until about a year and a half ago. The one I had for about 6 years finally gave up so I bought a new one in June of 2013. It worked OK for the first few months but then began to bog down and eventually started making a high clicking sound like the gears were stripping. After that it simply choked. It seemed also that the waste lumps were now much bigger than ever before, and the cats were the same cats. We finally gave up and bought another one. This one started off the same but within a month we were back again to the same problem. I called Littermaid and they sent me out a new box free of charge, but again within a month the same problem. I think they may have cheapened the motor or outsourced to China. They just don't work anymore so I would not recommend buying one.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I have an older LitterMaid that worked for my cat for years. And last time I checked it still worked great. The problem is I haven't had a cat in years. It's just sitting here gathering dust.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2014

I was given my Litter Maid 580 as a Christmas gift from my mother in Dec 2013. It worked fine for about 3 months (outside the loud and slow auto rake) but after that I ran into a problem, the auto rake would jam up in the middle of the process even with very little waste in the litter. So I cleaned out the box, put new litter in and it worked fine for all of 24 hours and boom back to having problems. After about a week of this problem it stopped only to have a bigger one start after it had completed the cycle of taking the waste out and into the bin it would literally fall back on the track into the litter box.

So I called Litter Maid to get a replacement and talked to a man named Jos. After I was done with him two weeks later I received my replacement box. Now with this replacement box like its predecessor it lasted about 3 months before I ran into the same set of problems. So now I am on my 2nd replacement box and 3rd box overall in a span of less than 10 months. I hope my mother's Litter Maid box that she has had for 8 years does not break anytime soon because these new boxes are complete garbage!

Original review: July 31, 2014

I bought a Litter Maid when they first came out and I loved it! It took my cat a few days to get used to it since she was getting old, but when she did, I think she enjoyed having a clean litter box every time she needed to go. And I liked it because it helped in keeping the odor down. It didn't last too awfully long, 2-3 years. My cat passed and I didn't get another for several years, but when I did . . . As several people have complained about the grates not going all the way down to the bottom of the pan, the motor was quite loud, and mine also goes so slow it seems it might quit in the middle of the cycle. I too have tried different "premium litters" to no avail.

Original review: July 22, 2014

I had a littermaid over 10 years ago. It worked wonderfully. That is the reason I purchased another one for my new cat. The one I have now is a joke. I don't even know where to begin. The rake, which doesn't even get the bottom of the pan, gets crusted and throws the litter behind the plastic container, or stuck on the cat. He was in the middle of his business, and it turned on pushing him out and all the mess with him. The top lid of the plastic container never stays put, constantly coming out of it's place and leaves the poop and litter all over the top all piled up. The litter, no matter which I've used, makes no difference. I've had to manually remove all the crud at the bottom of the box on every container change, which was every few days if I was lucky, and the containers, very expensive.

Luckily, they give you a scooper, surely because they know that's what you will be eventually doing. It's been 2-3 months, and our littermaid has just stopped working. Finally some piece from the loud motor that scares the heck out of you in the middle of the night. After reading all these complaints, and seeing the poor customer service, I will never purchase any LitterMaid product again, nor will I recommend LitterMaid to anyone. It is a waste of money because it's simply not the same product as it was years ago.

Original review: May 1, 2014

I bought my LitterMaid only 2 mos. ago and has stopped working. I have to rake it myself almost every day because it doesn't get up all the waste. From reading the reviews on here, it sounds like we are buying an inferior product compared to the old ones. I am taking mine back to Petco and asking for my money back. I'll just buy a regular litter box again and use that.

Original review: April 20, 2014

Worked okay for three weeks, then it stopped. I found the plastic around the drive piece broken. And am up to my elbows in cat crap and litter. Called the 800 number and they are not open on Sunday.

Original review: March 21, 2014

More work than a regular cat box. Rack does not scrape deep enough in box therefore everything accumulates right at edge just before receptacle. Experimenting with multiple "premium cat litters" made no difference. A big waste of money and extra time.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2014

I purchased a LitterMaid about 17 years ago and used it through the years for 5 different cats. It has been the best purchase I ever made. Our cats loved having the box clean every time they stepped into it. It did have a few drawbacks: it was loud and the little plastic inserts did not last very long because they could not handle the weight of the cat debris raked into it. A year ago the track started hanging and it would no longer clean the box. That is when I realized how good a job it had been doing all these years. I wish I could get this one fixed or find a good one that works this well. They sure knew how to make them back then and I miss having it work and so does my cat.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2013

I purchased the Litter Maid litter box in October 2013. It is not only poorly designed it is cheaply constructed at a consumer cost of $130.00 The flimsy PLASTIC TRAY SERVES NO PURPOSE ASIDE FROM AN ADDED PROFIT MARGIN FOR THE COMPANY (THAT'S HOW PRINTER COMPANY MAKE THEIR MONEY BY OUR PURCHASE OF CARTRIDGES). IT TAKES 6 MINUTES LONGER THAN A REGULAR, Standard Litter box cleaning. The cat cannot urinate as it will stick to the rail comb and has to be removed manually. In short it is one of the worst purchases I ever made and I will let Petco know.

LitterMaid Company Information