Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

LitterMaid Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Litter Maid Automatic Self Cleaning Litter Box - This was a horrible experience! This item costs a lot, is a little confusing to assemble, works poorly (poop sticks to the rake through several cycles), and when the little compartment opens to scoop the waste into, it releases an ungodly odor. The disposable waste containers are flimsy and wobbly and tend to open when you remove them from the box to throw away. Contrary to instruction manual info, the unit does not stop operating when a cat jumps into the box. My cats seemed to be able to finally get out of the way of the relentless rake just fine, but they are young and spry. What about an older frail cat? Seems dangerous. Lastly, as if these complaints aren't enough, the area for the cat to squat is small, so not too feasible for larger cats. I unplugged this mess of a machine and will use it as a plain old litter box. Or not.

Original review: June 15, 2017

My 1st litter box was great, worked for I don't know how many years. I've had the cat for 3+, my son had her for about 2 so it lasted at least 5 years before it died. So my son bought me another one, LM680C. It worked for 2 weeks. Now I figured what the problem is, one end of the rake bar is lower than the other, so when there is a clump on that side, it get stuck at the receptacle and can't go into dump mode. Customer Service doesn't return my calls, not it answers my emails. They work from 8:10 to 5:30 EST, and it feel like one person handles all calls as it's always busy. Had I known LitterMaid's gotten so bad, I'd get a product from another manufacturer. LitterMaid should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: June 12, 2017

We purchased & were delivered this product (Littermaid LM-86579 Multi-Cat Litter Box) in January of 2017 & in May of 2017 it began jamming as it attempted to deliver the cat litter to the receptacle box. This product is advertised as being for multi-cat households, however in our household of 5 cats & 4 litter boxes, it lasted less than 5 months! Yes, definitely not as advertised!

Original review: May 1, 2017

In Nov 2016, we bought a LitterMaid model LM 86579 because we were going out of town for a week and didn't want the house sitter to have to worry about cleaning the litter box daily. It worked well until mid Feb then it started jamming. This afternoon I cleaned it out and put fresh litter in it and turned around to leave and the pronged scoop fell out on one side and the cogwheel fell into the litter box.

Original review: May 30, 2016

It's a horrible product... I've spent over 100.00 dollars for this stupid contraption... It can't even lift a little clump. It always gets stuck right before it goes to dump it. I've spent over 100.00 on cat litter. It recommends premium cat litter so I went out and bought the world's best clumping litter. I have bought every litter out there and It still doesn't work... What a piece of crap. Companies should feel bad for us spending all that money for something that doesn't work.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I received my LitterMaid 980. I bought 2 of them and set one up to make sure the cats wouldn't use it and they have used it ever since. Forget the old litter box. They use this one. I am getting ready to get rid of the other old litter box and set up my other new one. This was a great purchase. And I line the receptacle with a shopping bag and just lift the bag out and it's so easy.

Original review: April 1, 2016

I bought a LitterMaid litter box in late 2014 model number LM-86579. Since then I was sent by the company 2 more to replace the first one. The product stinks and I would not recommend this to anyone looking for a litter box. Buy a manual one and you will never have this problem.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

I bought one of these around 2002. It required close monitoring of the level of the litter, and frequent emptying of the receptacle. The cats liked it fine. If a cat had diarrhea, though, the waste stuck to the rake and required hand cleaning. The motor always seemed weak like it was barely going. It only lasted a few months then jammed and that was the end of it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

My first Littermaid was model LM100, which I purchased in 1997. It was awesome and lasted for four years. Thought I received good performance, considered it has worn out and purchased a new Littlermaid; however, it was a different model. That is where everything went downhill. Over the years since then, I periodically buy a new Littermaid, hoping the newest model would be close to the original Littermaid. Never received performance anywhere near the original and most recently the device simply failed to work fair.

I tried to work with the Littermaid representatives to get the last and most disappointing Littermaid fixed or replaced. They offered replacement, said it was a known problem, instructed me to cut and return a wire to them, which I did. NINE months later a newer model arrived. I was excited to resume less litter box time, the newest model worked worst of all! Littermaid simply never responded to my telephone calls and emails. Guess they do not care if Littermaid units continue to sell in retail stores and online.

Original review: June 21, 2015

I have been a LitterMaid user for at least the last 18 years. They used to last about 4 years and work wonderful. But the last 3 or 4 I have bought have only lasted about 1 year and 3 months. Just enough time past the warranty. At 150 - 199 dollars I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the purchase anymore. The rake seems to stop retracting and no matter what is done it stays at dumping end of the box.

LitterMaid Company Information