2.25/5

1800petmeds.com

Last updated: May 21, 2018

85 1800-PetMeds Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2018

I placed an order for pain medication for my dog through 1-800-PetMeds on the 9th of May. I received an email that I would need to provide a paper copy of the prescription from my Vet or my Vet could fax over a copy of the prescription. I mailed a paper copy of the prescription on the 11th of May. I contacted PetMeds by phone on the 18th and I was told that they will upgrade to overnight for free when they fill the prescription. That should've been my first clue that something is wrong with this company. I didn't even ask for the upgrade.

Next contact was by email. Again they offered to upgrade shipping for free, I didn't ask for that again. I sent an email to them about how disappointed I was in their service and they canceled my order. It's pretty clear my experience and prior reviews that if you mail in a prescription you have a 80% chance it's not going to get filled. Something is very wrong with how this company processes their incoming mail. I will never refer anyone to this company. The one star is fair because their customer service agents are kind and helpful.

1800-PetMeds response
Thanks for your feedback. We're very sorry the prescription approval process was not faster for you. In most cases, if the vet authorizes by phone or fax, we ship the same or next day. While we can accept an authorization from your vet via phone or fax, pharmacy guidelines require that from the consumer, we must obtain the original prescription. We're sorry for any inconvenience; we offered free overnight delivery to help get the order to you faster.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: May 17, 2018

We live on a farm and it's necessary to have flea protection for our cats, especially since one is a barn cat that goes in and out as he pleases. Customer service is outstanding and our products arrive quickly. We receive coupons via email and that is super helpful with multiple cats. All three of them can be protected during flea season and we don't have too much pressure on the wallet. Excellent company. Worth buying at.

1800-PetMeds response
Hi Veronica. Thank you for your feedback and for being part of our PetMeds family!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2018

This is the first time I have ever ordered my dog's prescriptions online. I am out of town for a while and needed the medicine and my vet said they would call into any of the online pharmacies and it could get delivered to me. Well I placed the order and they contacted the vet. The vet took a few days and this company sent me a notice that the vet had not responded yet. I called the vet and they verified that they had received the request and would do it that day. My order was filled and I received it in 2 business days. I would not hesitate to go back and use them again!

1800-PetMeds response
Hi James, and thank you so much for your kind feedback and the opportunity to assist you and your dog. We really appreciate it!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: April 13, 2018

I recently ordered heartworm medication for my dog from 1800-PetMeds. One day after placing the order, I received an email that my previous vet had not authorized the prescription. I called a customer service representative with 1800-PetMeds, notified them that I had changed vets, and asked if they could contact my new vet for authorization. The representative was extremely friendly, fast and efficient. She removed the charge for priority shipping due to the mix-up, even though it was my error. It is refreshing to interact with a company that prioritizes customer interaction and satisfaction!

1800-PetMeds response
Hi Katherine and thank you so much for your kind feedback, and for allowing us to assist you!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: March 26, 2018

I purchased a generic medicine for my dog instead of the name brand. 1800PetMeds reached out to me proactively to see how the medicine was. I responded to the survey saying that my pup didn't like it so I wouldn't be ordering it again. As a result of the survey, they sent me an email offering to replace with the name brand. All I had to pay was the difference in price between the two medicines. I will continue to use 1800PetMeds for all of my pup's needs!

1800-PetMeds response
Thanks so much for your feedback Christine. We're glad we could help your dog get the medication in a form she likes better!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1800-PetMeds?

Original review: March 11, 2018

Petmeds has won me over for a customer. I let myself get too low on medicine before ordering and my prescription was new. I called Petmeds late in the day (they verified my prescript and shipped my order that day - 2 days later it was in my mailbox). The day after ordering I realized I hadn't ordered the correct quantity of pills. I called to see if my ordered had been filled yet, it had, but Petmeds shipped me the extra pills and gave me the same discounts I had received on my original order. Petmeds customer service is the best around. Polite, friendly, and eager to make a happy customer. I was cautious about ordering online and had done my research to try and make sure the medicines I was getting were real. Petmeds filled all of these needed requirements. My total experience with Petmeds was excellent.

1800-PetMeds response
Hi Judy. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such kind feedback, and for allowing us the opportunity to help. We really appreciate it!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: March 9, 2018

These people, located in Del Ray Florida say state law does not allow faxed or phone called scripts from the doctor. The other two vendors from Florida do both. When you send your script in the mail it takes them 2 weeks to process it. I cancelled my order, called another vendor and the new order arrived three days before PetMeds even got my order. Oh and they charged me for it even though I had cancelled the order a whole week before.

1800-PetMeds response
Marie, we're sorry for any confusion. We accept a prescription authorizations from licensed veterinarians by phone or by fax; however, pharmacy guidelines require that *from the consumer* we must have the original prescription. Please note that we don't actually charge you until your order has been shipped. As with any transaction, if you use a debit card, your bank will automatically place a pre-authorization/hold against your funds for the pending order.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: March 4, 2018

This used to be a good place to get dog medications, but NOT anymore. Too much conflicting info. I placed an order and there's no record of it...first they say there is no order, then it was cancelled like I requested, but I was charged TWICE. I was told there were no more refills, then someone else said I had one left. They also charge separately for items in the same order! You pay extra for overnight or priority and they send first class? Previously, I mailed them a script...they couldn't find it, claim they didn't get it, etc. I have PROOF that they did. After 18 years of doing business with them, I'm DONE! Tired of the aggravation. I'm also reporting them for FRAUD on my credit card because I was charged. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST, not sure what is wrong with these people, but something is!!!

1800-PetMeds response
I'm very sorry for your experience. Please note that we don't charge you until your order actually ships, so there was no charge for the canceled/duplicate order. Your order was shipped by FedEx overnight; since your order was placed on a Sunday, the order was shipped Monday morning for delivery on Tuesday. We're sorry for any confusion.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

5X flea treatment - This is my third time ordering this flea tick mite treatment for my dog. I order usually in 3-month boxes. This time I ordered 6 months. The more you order the better the price. The quality of this treatment is excellent it. Before when I was using all the other name brands I was at constant battle with mites and fleas. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANOTHER PROBLEM since using this. It is the generic form to Frontline and is exactly the same and way cheaper. I will not get my dog treatment anywhere else other than 1800-PetMeds. It is fast delivery and the packaging is always secure in a sturdy box and she even gets a Milk-Bone with her package which is so sweet. She enjoys seeing her box come. Thank you 1800-PetMeds. Talk to you soon for another order.

1800-PetMeds response
Thank you so much for your kind feedback and for being part of our PetMeds family. We really appreciate it!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I ordered this prescription item for my elderly dog and much to my distress my beloved Sandy died shortly after the order was made. Not my first order with them. I always use them for the best price and free shipping. Never had to use customer service before and knowing this was a prescribed medication I thought it would be hard to return. They were so thoughtful and considerate that they brought me to tears. The gentleman at customer service told me, not to worry about the medication and gave me a full refund and told me to donate the meds to my local animal shelter. THEY HAVE A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE, not just the refund and the condolences but they also followed up with a e-mail. Great customer service.

1800-PetMeds response
Mitchell, we're so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Sandy. Thanks for taking the time to leave such kind feedback, and for being part of our PetMeds family. Take care.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I made a purchase of a 3 month supply of their "generic" cat flea treatment for cats, and it cost a total of $32.61. Purchase options to pay included various debit/credit cards, along with "PayPal" & "PayPal Credit" as well. I chose to pay by "PayPal Credit". I have excellent credit, and have made many purchases by using "PayPal Credit". I was sent an email within a few minutes after my purchase asking me to call their customer service number. I called them and they informed me that the purchase was denied. They said they needed the security number on the back of my card. Well... "PayPal Credit" does not have a card (for online purchases). I have used "PayPal Credit" for a few years now and NEVER had an issue.

I tried to explain to "Gary" in customer service with 1-800-PetMeds, that "PayPal Credit" doesn't have a card (therefore no security code). He asked for my address, which I told him. He also asked for the address I was sending my purchase to, and I gave him my married grown daughter's address. He still said he couldn't allow my purchase. I finally hung up! I have used this way of paying for merchandise for years, and sending my merchandise I purchased to family members with NO PROBLEM at all.

I tried to tell them in several emails to customer service, and even provided a copy of the email from "PayPal Credit" accepting my purchase to 1-800-PetMeds. One of my many emails to them, I did let them know that I would make a complaint about this and no longer use them (which I have used them for years). They did send a $5.00 coupon to go toward a future purchase, which definitely will NOT happen!!! I have to hand it to them, they didn't give up making sure to make me feel like a criminal or a person with financial issues.

To make a long story short, I went online this morning and ended up finding another competitor to 1-800-PetMeds, and actually bought the "name brand" product with free shipping for a total of $22.40 (a whole $10 savings). I am not happy with 1-800-PetMeds, and will not use or refer anyone I know to purchase from them. On the other hand, I also believe that sometimes things happen for a reason, and this one definitely turned out to be MUCH better since I saved $10 and will receive the "name brand" instead of "generic" I was going to receive for $10 more from 1-800-PetMeds.

Please learn from my experience and shop around before making a purchase from 1-800-PetMeds. I have attached my receipt from 1-800-PetMeds, and my receipt showing my purchase was accepted from "PayPal Credit". I also sent 1-800-PetMeds a final email letting them know that I ended up finding another competitor, plus saved money and free shipping with no problems whatsoever with my purchase. The only thing 1-800-PetMeds offered me was a $5.00 coupon to "come back"... lol what a joke! BYE FELICIA!!!

1800-PetMeds response
Hi Peggy. We made a mistake processing your order, and we're very sorry. We didn't realize this was a PayPal order. We have since reviewed our PayPal processing procedures with our customer care team so this will not happen again. We value you as a customer and do hope you'll give us another chance.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I purchased flea medicine for my cat. I may have gotten it at a fairly decent price but I am very unimpressed with how slow shipping is. I have no plans on ever using this company for any of my pet medication needs again. I will just go with the new vet I found recently for everything. Sorry 1800-PETMEDS. I only give a company ONE shot to impress me and you blew it.

1800-PetMeds response
Mary, we're very sorry the shipping was slow. Can you please provide your Order Number so we may investigate what happened in this case? (The number you provided is your USPS tracking number). Thank you!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have ordered from there for years and never had an issue. I ended up not needing a product and needed to order something different. I contacted their support, It was super fast, got a refund and got the new order taken care of by the agent who was super friendly and efficient. They are not requesting me to send back the products that I am not needed, asking instead that I'd give them to a shelter. Amazing culture and support. Thank you.

1800-PetMeds response

Hi Clelia and thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback. We really appreciate it! ~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I called to make an order with a discount code that they sent because I am a loyal client for 6 years. The person taking the call charged me at full price and also charged me with the discount (by the way the wrong discount but that is another story). I called to dispute and they left me on hold for over 30 minutes, then started arguing with me like it was my fault and at the end, they did nothing for me. I had to call my bank directly, spend another 45 minutes on hold and they finally helped me. 1-800-PetMeds did not even call to follow up so PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND FIND ANOTHER COMPANY THAT PROVIDES THE SAME SERVICES.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I placed an order with 1800-PetMeds and received an order confirmation email stating I would receive another email when the order was shipped. After waiting 1 week and the payment taken out of my account I emailed the company as to why my order hadn't been shipped and the company responded with a request for my CVV # again over the phone. After refusing to give them this information the representative said they were cancelling my order. I immediately contacted my banking company and they confirmed the money had been received by 1800-PetMeds so they opened up an investigation.

I was instructed to forward the order confirmation email to 1800-PetMeds and they responded with a generic response. I also sent an email requesting a refund and informing them an investigation has been processed. I am not surprised that again I received an email that the money has not been removed from my account. As stated above I have a statement from the bank this money was removed and again I was instructed by the bank there is absolutely no reason to need my CVV # again and especially over the phone. I think I have been scammed and so glad I didn't give them the opportunity to take more than $70 from me! Hopefully something comes out of this investigation and this scam is stopped!

Original review: July 10, 2017

1800-PetMeds Makes Me Mad. I became a customer in June of 2017 with my first order placed. I used the debit/credit card I always use in placing the order. I have lived at my current address for over 7 years. I received an email the next day to "call as there is a problem with your order." I called. They asked me to "verify the address on the credit card" and to "verify the CCV code on my card." I did so with a call.

Two weeks later I ordered the same medication (Purina FortiFlora) for my dog; same card, same way. I got that email again the next day saying "there was a problem with my order..." I called the next day (annoyed) and they (she) "was/were very sorry" and it would be straightened out right away. She opined that "maybe it flagged me because I had moved recently?" Nope.

10 days later I called them because my order still hadn't showed up. The operator I reached when I was connected said "oh, I see there is a problem" and would I "verify the billing address on the card and the CCV please?" Arrrggghh! I tried to stay calm and explain that I had just called and that the last operator said it was handled; though obviously not. This operator said she would handle it and did promise to send my order next day for no additional fees. That part is great; however what's up with this verification and verification again stuff? There's some kind of bug in their system and it was exacerbated by the operator before the last one; not following through with what she had promised.This is their last chance with me. If that medication isn't in my hands before Wednesday evening July 12th; that's the last time I'll go through the hassle of this company.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I'm a new dog owner and decided to use 1-800-PetMeds for monthly flea/tick and heartworm meds. First off, I tried to order one med for one weight and the other for another weight. A popup appeared to confirm, which I appreciated but I ordered the way I did since I had a free sample from vet on one med and have a fast growing breed. Well, that stopped me from being able to place order. After emailing company about problem they said to call. I called and was informed that these were prescriptions (when did life get so difficult???) so rep told me about a generic available with exact same ingredients, ok great so I place the order.

I go online 3 days later to check status of order to find out one product was shipped and the other product was on hold and said I had to contact the vet. DON’T YOU THINK AN EMAIL OR SOMETHING TELLING TO CONTACT THE VET WOULD BE NICE??? Anyway, I cancelled that product and will spend the extra money and buy it from the local vet. I always leave reviews pointing out positives, positives/negatives, and negatives, I can count on one hand how many of my reviews have been totally negative with nothing positive to say but this is one of those times. I researched all online pet sites and only felt comfortable ordering from 1-800-PetMeds. Well, if this the best that is being offered they can keep it. For those reading this I would recommend buying local ESPECIALLY if you’re ordering meds that might mean the well-being of your loved one. Sorry to ramble on, but some of these shouldn't even be in business as far as I'm concerned.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Don't order from 1800-PetMeds! Honestly, my overall experience with 1800-PetMeds was fine. The prescriptions came in on time. I went to order flea meds again and my vet told me that they no longer fill with 1800-PetMeds because some of their medications aren't the real medicine, they're meds off the black market and have been making pets sick. Also, since they can't guarantee the authenticity of the medications or that the meds are from licensed veterinarians, they don't come with a guarantee. So if your pet got sick they won't do anything about it like provide treatment. I definitely won't order from them again. Since my vet no longer approves prescriptions from 1800-PetMeds they've agreed to price match. I really hope people stop ordering from them because why chance your pet getting sick? Hopefully officials will look into 1800-PetMeds and get exposed proof.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have been ordering from 1800-PetMeds for about two years now. I have never had any problems with them faxing information to my vet for prescriptions - I have however had trouble getting my vet to fax back the RX in a timely manner, this always seems to be an issue. The last time I ordered my vet was taking forever to fax back the RX and my dog needs his heartworm by a certain time of the month. The vet kept telling me they would fax back the RX every time I called them and still hadn't. I spoke on the live chat with someone from 1800-PetMeds and he upgraded me to 2-Day shipping at no extra charge so that my dog would get his heartworm medication on time, even though it was no fault of theirs, and my veterinarian was the one giving me a hard time faxing the information back.

I appreciate that this website cares more about my dogs than my vet seems to! I thank them very much for assuring he gets his medication on time to stay healthy, and I will always shop through this site. Plus, it is much cheaper than my vet for the same medication especially with their frequent promotional codes and deals. Thank you 1800-PetMeds! For those of you on this site saying that they are not faxing the information to your vet, I would be sure it isn't your vet that is the problem and not this site - I have had three different veterinarians that I have had to get RX's from to order off of this site and all three of them gave me a hard time with faxing the information back.

Original review: May 26, 2017

This multi-million company needs to monitor their Customer Service reps' conversation with clients. I experienced rudeness and demeaning conversation from a lady working on 05/26 around 6:24 AM PST. I was contacted because my expedited order was not shipped 2 days ago. According to the Pharmacy, my Vet didn't approved the inconsistent weight of my dog (long story). With this, I totally understand as I am a healthcare professional too (and I don't have to tell that to your CS).

Your CS feels like she is smarter and still insist on repeating the information and conversation up to the point that she emphasized all the words she's saying and the difference between expedited and standard shipping. English is my 4th language, I am fluent with accent but absolutely not stupid. I've been ordering with 1800-PetMeds for few months now, orders are delivered so slow. This is the last straw. I will look for another pet pharmacy. Please don't support companies like this. They grow big and doesn't take care of their Consumers!

Original review: May 19, 2017

I have barely placed my first PetMeds order when I have now been dealing with just trying to get my order filled for Sentinel flea and Heartgard medicine. This company acts like I am trying to get a tranquilizer and is going through EXTREME measures for a prescription. My vet has faxed over the scripts multiple times and still the pharmacy says they have not received it. This is my first and final order with this company and I will never use them again. I cannot believe it is this hard just to get flea meds. I have now finally cancelled my order due to my vet faxing the required prescription FOUR times and PetMeds telling me they never received it. First and last time I will ever use this company. I went with another company to place my order.

Original review: May 15, 2017

We ordered meds for an older pet on recommendation of our vet. We ordered antibiotic for a bad infection, rash service 2-day delivery. 5 days, the meds are still not delivered. At first we had a decent caring agent trying to help. On the next day, after the failed service still, we run into a callous agent and unprofessional manager, who actually interrupted us and yelled. No compensation for suffering pet, major inconvenience and disruption to my family life. Refund delivery only after we pressed. Complete failure of customer service. Do not order from them! Unethical, unprofessional, money grubbers!

Original review: May 3, 2017

For some reason that was unclear to both myself and the customer service rep my order had been returned to sender. When I called to get this rectified the rep-Precious-was extremely attentive and empathetic. She resent the package and added some more details in order to ensure the package would be delivered this time. She was also efficient and the whole process from dialing to getting the package resent took less than 3 minutes. I have ordered from this company many times and always had great service. I highly recommend them.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I have been using 1800-PetMeds for about a year now and was fairly satisfied with their service but they must have some sort of odd contract with Federal Express. I live in Virginia and for some reason it is taking approximately 2 weeks for me to get my order. When I looked at the tracking information it is absolutely crazy, it was actually in Virginia in about 2 days but then went to Maryland, then to WV and from there who knows. When I contacted 1800-PetMeds they said it will still be 4 more days before I would get the shipment. There is no way it should take this long to ship, I have to wonder if this isn't a gimmick to get you to pay for overnight shipping. This will be my last order from them, I order a lot of things online and it only takes this long if something is out of stock. If I were in charge there I would be questioning the service they are receiving from Federal Express, UPS seems to provide much better service.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I ordered ** from PetMeds for my kittens ear mites! We have two other dogs and realized a couple days after we got him that he needed the medication for the ear mites. Instead of paying an arm and a leg to go to the vets, I decided to try this website instead. I was not disappointed, it shipped out the next day and it took 8 business days to receive it here in Canada! Not to mention they included temptations treats and a dog bone in the package! If I ever need anything pet related I will definitely order from here again! Thanks PetMeds!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

We have used PetMeds several times over the years. Most recently I ordered ** for my dog, ** for my cat, for a total of $157 (with a coupon). Our cat died before we gave him his first dose (he was 17 years old, so it was time) and I called PetMeds to see if I could return the meds for a refund. They assured me I would be credited for the amount of the ** and suggested I donate my package to a local shelter. I will. I appreciate customer service like this!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I would give them zero stars if I could. What a horrible company. I placed an order online for a prescription medication. The next day I received a confirmation stating that they were waiting for our vet to fax the prescription to them. So far so good. Get a call back from the vet the same day confirming they have faxed the prescription. Two days go by: no further feedback from PetMeds. So I log into the website to check the order status. It is shown as CANCELLED. WTF? I call the 800 number. Agent is unable to even locate the order number, cannot see it in the account order history. How's that possible? Puts me on hold for several minutes. "Oh, we found the order. The product is out of stock. You shouldn't have been able to order it in the first place. And sometimes "we" can't see what happens at the pharmacy after orders are sent to them."

So those clowns just cancel orders if they can't fulfill them. And customer gets no notice. Really??? I ask her, "Okay, so where do we go from here?" Back on hold for several minutes. Agent comes back, "Sorry, we have no idea when the product will be back in stock. Do you want us to transfer the order to another pharmacy?" Oh, yeah, right! I'm going to trust YOU guys to take care of this for me? No ** thanks. Meanwhile, we still don't have the meds for our pet. They may be okay for tick bands or something, but I'm never going to trust these yahoos with anything important again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I recently ordered ** from 1-800-PetMeds and later found the same item to cost significantly less at Valley Vet. In response to a satisfaction survey from 1-800-PetMeds I commented that although all other factors were equal, I could not recommend PetMeds due to the lower cost of the medication at Valley Vet. I soon received an email explaining that PetMeds would match prices and a second email refunding the difference. I am astonished. I never expected a response let alone a refund. Kudos to 1-800-PetMeds for excellent customer service!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I ordered flea medication for my cats on Sunday. I used a coupon code that was directly on the website for 15% off and paid $13 to have my items express shipped. My items never shipped the following business day, Monday, so I contacted customer service on Tuesday regarding this. I was guaranteed that I would get the medication the following day, Wednesday. I was told that immediately after the items shipped I would get confirmation. I did not. The items still did not ship so I called once again and was told my order had been placed on hold because of the coupon I used. I canceled my order and now have to wait another 2 days for the funds to be available. I will never buy anything from a company that will willingly take your money, but make you go through hoops to get your items.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

Although my 15 lb. Tibetan Spaniel has been receiving her monthly dose of Heartgard Plus chewables, she still got hookworm which Heartgard Plus is supposed to prevent. My veterinarian mentioned that incorrect storage temperature can render medication ineffective and that 1-800-PetMeds does not deal directly with the pharmaceutical companies, that "middlemen" involvement lead to improper drug storage and ineffective medications. I submitted my veterinary bills totaling close to $200 for fecal exam, vet visit and treatment medication to 1-800-PetMeds and have received nothing. I will never trust this company again in the treatment of my pets.

1800-PetMeds Company Information