1800petmeds.com

2.8/5 (190 ratings)

About 1-800-PetMeds

1-800-PetMeds is a pharmacy that sells medications and supplies for dogs, cats and horses online or over the phone. You can mail your pet’s prescriptions or have your vet verify the scripts with 1-800-PetMeds. The company’s pet-supply pricing is competitive, and its rewards program offers a $5 credit when you earn a certain number of points. It backs its products with a satisfaction guarantee and delivers most products within a week.

Pros

• Competitive pricing
  • Satisfaction guarantee
  • Fast shipping
  • Rewards program

Cons

• Some customer complaints
  • Order minimum for free shipping

Bottom Line

1-800-PetMeds is an online pet pharmacy that sells supplies and prescriptions for dogs, cats and horses at affordable prices and with a money-back guarantee. It offers free shipping on orders over $49.

Top 1-800-PetMeds Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had an issue with a prescription for my dog. The error was with the vet, and when I called 1800 pet meds, they took the time to research the issue and then called the vet to str...

Verified

I have been using PetMeds for over two years and always experienced them to dependable and also learned they are affordable medication! Our dog is on life long medication and so I...

What is 1-800-PetMeds?

1-800-PetMets is an online pet pharmacy that sells major heartworm and flea and tick meds as well as other medicine, supplements, vitamins and supplies. For prescription orders, you can mail the prescription or provide your vet’s contact info for verification.

The company fulfills prescriptions in five to seven days, and other orders often arrive within a few days. 1-800-PetMeds is accredited by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy as an online veterinary pharmacy, and its products are covered by a satisfaction guarantee.

1-800-PetMeds pricing

1-800-PetMeds offers competitive pricing on pet supplies, though its costs can vary quite a bit. For example, six months of heartworm medication can range from $20 to $120, depending on the brand and pet size.

Orders over $49 ship free, but there’s a $4.99 shipping fee for orders below this threshold. The company advertises frequent deals, numerous coupons and a rewards program. Sign up for its email newsletter for discount alerts.

1-800-PetMeds FAQ

Do you need a prescription for 1-800-PetMeds orders?
To order Rx meds, you need a valid prescription from your vet. You can either mail the prescription yourself or provide your vet’s info for confirmation. The site also offers non-prescription medications.
How do I order from 1-800-PetMeds?
You can place an order online or over the phone. If you’re ordering prescriptions, you’ll need to mail in the script or provide your vet’s contact information.
Does 1-800-PetMeds ship internationally?
1-800-PetMeds ships nonprescription orders to Canada. It doesn’t ship prescription orders outside the U.S.
Does 1-800-PetMeds offer a product guarantee?
Yes, 1-800-PetMeds offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all orders. If you aren’t satisfied with a product, you can return it for a refund.

Is 1-800-PetMeds legit?

1-800-PetMeds is a legitimate and reputable online pharmacy. The company has been verified as an online veterinary pharmacy by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. Some of its customers have complaints, but all its products are affordable and protected by a money-back guarantee.

1-800-PetMeds Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PetMeds?

Original review: April 19, 2022

They compounded my dog's eye med. As per usual, I mailed in the new rx. Called to follow-up and they told me they no longer compound the med and that they sent an email telling me so. One email? I get multiple junk email from 1-800-petmeds daily! They should have sent letters! They promised to fax over the rx to another pharmacy. I have called with new pharmacy fax number 3 times already and still they have not faxed it over. Now I am on hold, waiting to see if they will mail me back my original rx. It's been over 10 minutes waiting. THEY SUCK. AVOID!!!

1-800-PetMeds response

Hi Xochitl and thank you for your feedback. I’m very sorry for your experience with this order; customer service is very important to us, and we certainly fell short here. I'd love like to investigate what happened in this instance and make it right for you. Please feel free to email me directly at social@petmeds.com.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Tried a new vet with a telephone consultation. He recommended two prescriptions. I called them in to the customer service department, gave them my information and the vet's information so they could get the rx approved. They took two prescription information that I gave them and sent one to the new vet and the other to the existing vet that we have been using. Did NOt want the existing vet to know that we were trying another vet. 800 Petmeds made sure that the existing vet was aware that we tried a new vet. Will NOT do any future business with 800 Petmeds. They are not trustworthy or competent.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2021

They were fine in the past, but this time I had 3 vets entered and selected the 2nd one. I recall looking back to be sure the right vet was selected. A few days later, I get a call from the 1st vet, that they haven't recently see my dog. At the web site, it had changed vets. I canceled that order and carefully did another, with the 2nd vet. The next day, it had also changed to the first vet.

I had customer support change the vet, never telling me it could take several hours to change on the site. The order comment said "Vet says animal needs to be seen", which was never changed. I sent them another note, trying to explain what had happened and that they have a problem (actually, a very simple issue) in their site to fix, and nobody there seemed to have any idea or interest in that. The meds finally arrived, taking over twice as long as expected. I have several dogs and use several vets, and unless this is fixed there's no use returning to them. But, there seems to be no way to find this out.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Don’t waste your time trying to save a buck with this company. It’s not worth the hassle. I placed an order this morning at 7:45am. Was told a fax would be sent to my vet for approval. I gave them my payment information. Was told I would have my pet's medication by Monday. 4:55pm rolls around and still no confirmation email, nothing to indicate order was placed and on its way. I called back & they said my vet did not reply. My vet never received anything. They also Had all the wrong personal info on me I had updated with them this morning. I told them to cancel my order however I cannot trust they will do that since customer service is sketchy. I placed a “do not pay this merchant” with my bank. Never again. If you choose to order with them good luck.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Worst place to get medication for your pet. They don't follow Dr's prescriptions, directions and won't request written prescriptions. Verbal confirmation over the phone can leave room for error in properly administering your pet's med.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Norene. Thank you for your feedback. So that we can assist you, please let us know your Order Number. Please also note that we are a .Pharmacy-Verified Website. .Pharmacy is a website verification program, also through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy®, which identifies online pharmacies and pharmacy-related websites as safe and legitimate. You can verify our status at www.safe.pharmacy and learn more about the program.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I shopped around different online pet pharmacies to always get the best price and every single one (ESPECIALLY the one my vet uses or owns) the price always goes up after the 1st order. The last time I ordered it went up $3 in 1 month!! 1-800-PetMeds has a consistently lower price & don't go up. In March of 2020 I paid $54.91 & this month August 2020 I paid $51.68 (I actually ordered 2 months for a total of $103.36). ln Feb 2020 I paid $83 for 1 month & the last month I ordered from my vet!! I'm not talking a little money...I'm saving $30 A MONTH. It's insane that we just want to care for our beloved pets and the vet wants you to buy from their supplier or them and they make it so difficult for some of us to pay for our pets health. Of course my vet also don't want send a fax prescription which is a 2 hour drive for the round trip to pick up a paper script for 3 months if I am lucky.

I have read online you have to be very careful about making sure a pharmacy don't sell fake or expired prescriptions. So it scared me...A LOT. I haven't found a lot of negative comments about 1-800-PetMeds which eases my mind. The customer service has always been great picking up immediately & I don't recall ever having to leave a message. They email me what is going on with a script if there is any hint of a problem & I get messages when the script is shipped and most importantly the medication for arthritis works. The order ships the day I order it and comes in 2 days unless of course I order it on a Friday or weekend then takes 3 days. I absolutely recommend them.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Roxann. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback - we really appreciate it! We completely understand about being cautious about where you buy medications for your precious pet. We always recommend pet parents choose a .Pharmacy-Verified Website which is a verification program through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy®, which identifies online pharmacies and pharmacy-related websites as safe and legitimate.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Pet Meds are expensive if your source is your vet (at least my experience is). I always get great deals with petmeds.com and they usually deliver before the expected time. I am a fan and I will always purchase from them. Thank you Petmeds!!!

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Rocio. Thanks so much for your kind feedback, and for being a part of our PetMeds family. We really appreciate it!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: July 22, 2020

My dog is on Antibiotics for kidney disease, when our vet told us to renew the prescription for another 12 days I ordered from Pet Meds and agreed to the $19.99 overnight charge. Nervous late afternoon the following day I called and was told by a woman that she could not understand why the order was not put through! I had to drive 40 miles each way to our vet to get a couple of tablets to cover until (?) the order is received. They offered to do away with the overnight shipping fee and a $15 credit. When I protested that this offer was insulting. I got an email from them telling me how reliable they are and to give my dog a kiss from them. There is a certain part of my anatomy that they may kiss.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Julian and thanks for your feedback. We're very sorry for your experience. Please let us know your Order Number so we can investigate what happened in this instance. Thank you.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: May 28, 2020

Trying to play middle man between my Vets office and 1-800-PetMeds simply to order **... I'm in my Vet's office when they received the document from 1800PetMeds, Vets tells me as I'm walking out the office they they've already signed and sent it back. End of business that day and 1800PetMeds still shows my order on hold. Go to call them up to ask why they haven't released the order yet and if I can pay for faster shipping. However after sitting on hold 10 minutes... 15 minutes... nothing. Shot them an email with my order number, questions I had, and my contact information - nothing.

The fact that you're required to have your dog seen simply to get a script for ** is already silly.. The cost of ** is silly.. Try to save a few bucks and order it online - just dumb on my part. The honest truth is, you can go to Canadapetcare.com and order the same exact Meds WITHOUT a script AND much cheaper AND it comes in the same sealed ** box that I get from my Vet.. I try to refrain from purchasing things illegally like that... but don't make it like running into a brick wall to simply order flea preventative for my dog. Now some company in Canada is going to get my money instead.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Ryan. I'm sorry for your experience; if you provide your Order Number we'd love to help. The FDA determines which meds are classified as OTC vs. prescription. When a drug is felt to be unsafe w/o proper medical follow-up or monitoring it's placed on prescription only status. There are a variety of reasons for this; in the case of heartworm preventatives for example, there is potential danger if these meds are given to dogs that are heartworm positive.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: April 16, 2020

Ordered from the website 3 different times. Each time my order did not arrive. Checked my email to discover my order was on hold due to "payment needing to be verified." I thought there was an issue with my payment method as I used PayPal the first time. Switched to credit card and got the same error/hold status, stating I need to call a 800 number to verify my payment. I've never heard of this practice when ordering items online. This is not a standard practice when ordering items online, it did not sit right with me and made me feel like something was wrong/fishy with the company. Canceled the order and ordered from Chewy.com without any issues.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry for any inconvenience. For your security, for a first-time order, we needed to verify some information from you.

1-800-PetMeds Company Information