Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

About 1-800-PetMeds

1-800-PetMeds is a pharmacy that sells medications and supplies for dogs, cats and horses online or over the phone. You can mail your pet’s prescriptions or have your vet verify the scripts with 1-800-PetMeds. The company’s pet-supply pricing is competitive, and its rewards program offers a $5 credit when you earn a certain number of points. It backs its products with a satisfaction guarantee and delivers most products within a week.

Pros

• Competitive pricing
  • Satisfaction guarantee
  • Fast shipping
  • Rewards program

Cons

• Some customer complaints
  • Order minimum for free shipping

Bottom Line

1-800-PetMeds is an online pet pharmacy that sells supplies and prescriptions for dogs, cats and horses at affordable prices and with a money-back guarantee. It offers free shipping on orders over $49.

Top 1-800-PetMeds Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

I have been using PetMeds for over two years and always experienced them to dependable and also learned they are affordable medication! Our dog is on life long medication and so I...

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

What is 1-800-PetMeds?

1-800-PetMets is an online pet pharmacy that sells major heartworm and flea and tick meds as well as other medicine, supplements, vitamins and supplies. For prescription orders, you can mail the prescription or provide your vet’s contact info for verification.

The company fulfills prescriptions in five to seven days, and other orders often arrive within a few days. 1-800-PetMeds is accredited by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy as an online veterinary pharmacy, and its products are covered by a satisfaction guarantee.

1-800-PetMeds pricing

1-800-PetMeds offers competitive pricing on pet supplies, though its costs can vary quite a bit. For example, six months of heartworm medication can range from $20 to $120, depending on the brand and pet size.

Orders over $49 ship free, but there’s a $4.99 shipping fee for orders below this threshold. The company advertises frequent deals, numerous coupons and a rewards program. Sign up for its email newsletter for discount alerts.

1-800-PetMeds FAQ

Do you need a prescription for 1-800-PetMeds orders?
To order Rx meds, you need a valid prescription from your vet. You can either mail the prescription yourself or provide your vet’s info for confirmation. The site also offers non-prescription medications.
How do I order from 1-800-PetMeds?
You can place an order online or over the phone. If you’re ordering prescriptions, you’ll need to mail in the script or provide your vet’s contact information.
Does 1-800-PetMeds ship internationally?
1-800-PetMeds ships nonprescription orders to Canada. It doesn’t ship prescription orders outside the U.S.
Does 1-800-PetMeds offer a product guarantee?
Yes, 1-800-PetMeds offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all orders. If you aren’t satisfied with a product, you can return it for a refund.

Is 1-800-PetMeds legit?

1-800-PetMeds is a legitimate and reputable online pharmacy. The company has been verified as an online veterinary pharmacy by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. Some of its customers have complaints, but all its products are affordable and protected by a money-back guarantee.

1-800-PetMeds Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PetMeds?

Original review: June 6, 2021

They were fine in the past, but this time I had 3 vets entered and selected the 2nd one. I recall looking back to be sure the right vet was selected. A few days later, I get a call from the 1st vet, that they haven't recently see my dog. At the web site, it had changed vets. I canceled that order and carefully did another, with the 2nd vet. The next day, it had also changed to the first vet.

I had customer support change the vet, never telling me it could take several hours to change on the site. The order comment said "Vet says animal needs to be seen", which was never changed. I sent them another note, trying to explain what had happened and that they have a problem (actually, a very simple issue) in their site to fix, and nobody there seemed to have any idea or interest in that. The meds finally arrived, taking over twice as long as expected. I have several dogs and use several vets, and unless this is fixed there's no use returning to them. But, there seems to be no way to find this out.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Don’t waste your time trying to save a buck with this company. It’s not worth the hassle. I placed an order this morning at 7:45am. Was told a fax would be sent to my vet for approval. I gave them my payment information. Was told I would have my pet's medication by Monday. 4:55pm rolls around and still no confirmation email, nothing to indicate order was placed and on its way. I called back & they said my vet did not reply. My vet never received anything. They also Had all the wrong personal info on me I had updated with them this morning. I told them to cancel my order however I cannot trust they will do that since customer service is sketchy. I placed a “do not pay this merchant” with my bank. Never again. If you choose to order with them good luck.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Worst place to get medication for your pet. They don't follow Dr's prescriptions, directions and won't request written prescriptions. Verbal confirmation over the phone can leave room for error in properly administering your pet's med.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Norene. Thank you for your feedback. So that we can assist you, please let us know your Order Number. Please also note that we are a .Pharmacy-Verified Website. .Pharmacy is a website verification program, also through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy®, which identifies online pharmacies and pharmacy-related websites as safe and legitimate. You can verify our status at www.safe.pharmacy and learn more about the program.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: July 22, 2020

My dog is on Antibiotics for kidney disease, when our vet told us to renew the prescription for another 12 days I ordered from Pet Meds and agreed to the $19.99 overnight charge. Nervous late afternoon the following day I called and was told by a woman that she could not understand why the order was not put through! I had to drive 40 miles each way to our vet to get a couple of tablets to cover until (?) the order is received. They offered to do away with the overnight shipping fee and a $15 credit. When I protested that this offer was insulting. I got an email from them telling me how reliable they are and to give my dog a kiss from them. There is a certain part of my anatomy that they may kiss.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Julian and thanks for your feedback. We're very sorry for your experience. Please let us know your Order Number so we can investigate what happened in this instance. Thank you.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: May 28, 2020

Trying to play middle man between my Vets office and 1-800-PetMeds simply to order **... I'm in my Vet's office when they received the document from 1800PetMeds, Vets tells me as I'm walking out the office they they've already signed and sent it back. End of business that day and 1800PetMeds still shows my order on hold. Go to call them up to ask why they haven't released the order yet and if I can pay for faster shipping. However after sitting on hold 10 minutes... 15 minutes... nothing. Shot them an email with my order number, questions I had, and my contact information - nothing.

The fact that you're required to have your dog seen simply to get a script for ** is already silly.. The cost of ** is silly.. Try to save a few bucks and order it online - just dumb on my part. The honest truth is, you can go to Canadapetcare.com and order the same exact Meds WITHOUT a script AND much cheaper AND it comes in the same sealed ** box that I get from my Vet.. I try to refrain from purchasing things illegally like that... but don't make it like running into a brick wall to simply order flea preventative for my dog. Now some company in Canada is going to get my money instead.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Ryan. I'm sorry for your experience; if you provide your Order Number we'd love to help. The FDA determines which meds are classified as OTC vs. prescription. When a drug is felt to be unsafe w/o proper medical follow-up or monitoring it's placed on prescription only status. There are a variety of reasons for this; in the case of heartworm preventatives for example, there is potential danger if these meds are given to dogs that are heartworm positive.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: April 16, 2020

Ordered from the website 3 different times. Each time my order did not arrive. Checked my email to discover my order was on hold due to "payment needing to be verified." I thought there was an issue with my payment method as I used PayPal the first time. Switched to credit card and got the same error/hold status, stating I need to call a 800 number to verify my payment. I've never heard of this practice when ordering items online. This is not a standard practice when ordering items online, it did not sit right with me and made me feel like something was wrong/fishy with the company. Canceled the order and ordered from Chewy.com without any issues.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry for any inconvenience. For your security, for a first-time order, we needed to verify some information from you.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: April 1, 2020

DO NOT USE 1800PETMEDS! You may or may not get your pet's meds. The customer service is rude and doesn't care if your pet is suffering while they continue to not ship the meds your pet needs. There is no confirmation of order, no tracking number, nothing. They will take your money fast, and then wait weeks to send the medications your pet needs, if you ever get them. Please don't make the mistake of giving your money to this awful business, YOUR PET WILL PAY THE PRICE!

1-800-PetMeds response
    We're very sorry for your experience. Can you please contact us with your name and Order Number so we can investigate for you? We always provide an email confirmation as well as a tracking number, so I'm not sure what could have happened in this case. Additionally, we do not charge you until your order has shipped. Even with the current situation, we are not experiencing any delays in shipping orders. We would love the chance to look into and resolve it for you. Thank you.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I had an issue with a prescription for my dog. The error was with the vet, and when I called 1800 pet meds, they took the time to research the issue and then called the vet to straighten out the problem. As a result, the prescription was filled and shipped the same day I called. I was never placed in a queue and spoke to a real person within seconds of my call--no options to choose from, just a direct connection to customer service.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Ann. Thank you so much for your kind feedback, and giving us the opportunity to help with your dog's prescription. We really appreciate it!

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Doesn't show shipping charge till after you check out. They if you cancel order immediately (within seconds), they'll show canceled, but still send order. Run! They have Vaseline out and are waiting for you!

1-800-PetMeds response
    We're very sorry you were disappointed in our service. Please note that we do not ever charge you until your order has shipped. Please note that if you use a debit card, as with any merchant, your bank will place a temporary hold or "pre-authorization" on your available funds. As specified on our website, we offer free shipping on orders over $49, so we are not able to determine shipping charges, if any, until you are ready to check out and we know the total of the order.

~ Abby, PetMeds Pro

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

First, this company does not acknowledge orders. Most reputable companies send an email and follow up with shipping info. The label on my product indicates it was filled 11/4 19 yet I just received it today, 11/19/19. Sorry but this is 2019 not 1960. Nearly 3 weeks is just too long for me. I will not order from them again.

1-800-PetMeds response
    Hi Melody and thanks for your feedback. We're very sorry the shipping took so long and we would love to see what happened in this instance. Please let us know your Order Number or Customer Number so we can investigate this for you. Thank you.

1-800-PetMeds Company Information