3.7/5 (880 ratings)

About BarkBox

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

Pros

• Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size

Cons

• Subscriptions renew automatically

Bottom Line

BarkBox provides a fun monthly subscription box with treats and toys for your dog. While you can’t cancel a subscription early, there is a month-to-month option available.

Top BarkBox Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to ...

Verified

My dog absolutely loves all of the treats they send out. I’ve been having trouble with her breaking all of the toys however I just spoke with a representative [and] they are also ...

What is BarkBox, and how does it work?

BarkBox is a monthly toy and treat subscription box for your dog. You can purchase a 12-month, six-month or month-to-month subscription plan, and BarkBox delivers a new box straight to your door each month.

When you set up your subscription, you have an opportunity to let the company know your dog's size so you receive correctly sized toys. You can also alert BarkBox to any allergies your dog has to ensure the company sends appropriate treats.

What comes in a BarkBox?

Each BarkBox includes two toys, two bags of treats and one chew. You can add an extra toy to your box for $9 more each month. BarkBoxes are centered on a new theme each month — past themes include Chewrassic Bark, New York City, an ’80s-themed Throwback Thursday box and a Grinch-themed Christmas box.

barkbox

BarkBox toys: BarkBox's in-house designers plan out its line of brand-exclusive toys. The toys may include stuffing, squeakers or crinkle material.

BarkBox treats: BarkBox develops and makes its treats and chews in the U.S. with high-quality ingredients. You can customize your box to exclude any ingredients your pup may be allergic to, like chicken, turkey or beef.

How much is BarkBox?

BarkBox subscriptions start at $22 a month, but the price varies depending on the length of the contract. Your dog’s size does not affect BarkBox’s prices.

SubscriptionMonthly Price
12-month$23
6-month$26
Month-to-month$35

BarkBox FAQ

Is there a toys-only BarkBox?
BarkBox does offer all-toys and all-treats boxes. You have the option to completely tailor your box to whatever best fits your pup.
What is Super Chewer by BarkBox?
Super Chewer is a monthly subscription box for dogs who are tough on toys. Just like the original BarkBox, each box contains a mix of toys and treats, but each toy is designed for dogs with heavy chewing tendencies. Super Chewer subscriptions are slightly more expensive than standard BarkBox subscriptions.
Are BarkBox treats OK for dogs with allergies?
At sign-up, you can indicate if your dog has a common food allergy, like chicken, turkey or beef. If your dog has a less common allergy, you can contact BarkBox to ask about creating a custom box.
How do I cancel BarkBox?
If you sign up for a multiple-month subscription plan, you are unable to cancel early. However, you can turn off auto-renewal at any time and your boxes will be canceled after your current subscription plan has ended.

Is BarkBox worth it?

If you regularly spend money on treats and toys for your dog, we think BarkBox is worth it. The subscription plan ensures your beloved pet gets a new batch of toys each month and makes it simple for you by delivering the goodies straight to your door. The cost of the box is less than the value of the items, so BarkBox helps you save money and time on toys and treats.

BarkBox Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
Original review: May 8, 2022

No way to contact customer service except through email. I cancelled my subscription by following the instructions online; we were moving and had no forwarding address. Two boxes were left in my 6 month subscription. Not a problem, we were going to be at that address for another 6 weeks and would be able to receive the boxes. When subscription was over we continued to be charged and two boxes now have been delivered to an old address where we no longer live.

Contacted customer service and explained that the subscription had been cancelled and we should not have been charged to start a new 6 month subscription. Argument via email that rudely claimed that I had not cancelled my subscription and we were going to continue to be charged every month for another 6 months…. wanted us to prove we cancelled??? Really? Steps were followed per the company's instructions online This is why I do not and will not do auto-renew subscription services.

BarkBox response

Hi Susan! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the frustration and miscommunication in getting your plan canceled. That is not the experience that we wanted for you and I want to make sure to make this right for you and your pup. Keep an eye out for a direct email from the team so we can help out further.

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: May 4, 2022

After several days of back and forth, I was finally able to cancel my subscription. I still wouldn’t recommend this company, it’s just not worth the hassle if it’s not a good fit for you and your pet.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I’m just leaving this review to warn anyone thinking about signing up for the monthly subscription box. The toys are of poor quality, they’re destroyed by my dog in about 2 days. My dog didn’t care for the treats either. When I tried to cancel I got a wordy email telling me basically that I’ll be charged the whole six months even if I’m extremely dissatisfied with the entire experience. This company locks you into a subscription then refuses to stop charging you even if you no longer want it

BarkBox response

Hi Angela! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We incredibly sorry to hear about the experience that you had with each of your shipments, and when working with our team. This definitely is not the fun experience we had hoped for your pack. We also want to sincerely apologize for any miscommunication on our end of things. We do offer our Scout's Honor guarantee which promises to replace any items in your box that your pups can't have or don't love. We also never want to make our customers feel locked into a subscription that is not a perfect fit for their pack. We would love the opportunity to make this right for you! Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can help further!

Original review: April 2, 2022

I signed up for the free memory foam dog bed. I received a small used bed. Then the replacement bed was a used bed that wasn’t memory foam. My dogs won’t eat the treats. The toys are easily torn apart. The only way to contact support is through Chat. I closed my account and was guaranteed that I wouldn’t be reviled but I was billed again. THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD!!!

BarkBox response

Hi Shanda. Thank you so much for taking time to share the details of your experience. We want to sincerely apologize for the less than perfect experience you've had with BarkBox. We completely understand your concern regarding the bed you received as well as the treats not being up to your pup's liking. It is never our intention to make our customers feel taken advantage of and we always strive to keep the pups in our pack happy. It sounds like this has been an incredibly disappointing experience and we would like nothing more than to make this right.

Please be on the look out for a direct message from our team. We look forward to connecting with you further!

Original review: March 23, 2022

BarkBox is a great idea. My dogs love them but they destroy the toys in one afternoon/evening. I just changed to the super chewer version and I hope it’s better as I don’t want them eating the fluff. They mostly like the treats and I feel it is a decent value as some of the toys I purchased separately were 15 bucks each. If you have dogs that really chew you should order the super chewer without plush toys!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

My dogs were completely satisfied. However I was not. First month the box was wrong. I ordered a Super Chewer box and received the regular box. It was corrected and was just a email to correct. However, I then had to pay more. Although I did originally sign up for super chewer. Nowhere did I read auto renewal. It only says auto ship. So after my prepaid subscription was up, I was charged for another 6 months. I went round and round with emails and have not been reimbursed. The customer service is friendly but to me was very vague on answering my questions. Leaving me feeling manipulated. Not so fun! That is a bummer. $198 loss for me.

BarkBox response

Hi Tammy! Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback around your BARK experience. While we are very happy to hear your dogs were satisfied with their experience, we want to sincerely apologize for the frustration caused around the autorenewal and back and forth communication with our team. We never want our customers to feel manipulated or taken advantage of as we only want to provide a fun, stress free experience. With that said, please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can connect further and find the appropriate resolution!

Original review: July 21, 2021

I ordered a six month subscription for $150. The first box was left abandoned in the lobby of my apartment building. The second was found in the hall my apartment is on but nowhere near my apartment. The third box never came. I contacted customer service to complain, so they cancelled my subscription. I asked why so they said they’d give me three free boxes for my trouble. I never got those either. It feels like I got scammed.

BarkBox response

Hi Travis. Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback with us. We want to sincerely apologize for the state in which the first two boxes were delivered, as well as for the missing third box. This certainly is not the type of service we wish to provide any of our customers. We can't apologize enough that your pup has been left waiting on all those monthly goodies. We would love the opportunity to look into this further and find the best solution to ensure you and your pup are well taken care of. Please keep a look out for a direct message from our team via Consumer Affairs.

Original review: July 16, 2021

My dog gets so excited when he sees his BarkBox. The quality of the products is top notch and the monthly themes are so clever. They make humans laugh and canines literally jump for joy. They also will customize the toys and treats to your dog. I have a dog that doesn't love the tiny soft treats but goes crazy for jerky, so his box now has more jerky treats. And when a box hasn't arrived, they immediately send out a replacement.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Don't know who gets more excited, me or the girls. Great themes, quality toys... even for heavy duty destructors, like my girls. Can't imagine canceling the subscription, at least until they become old farts.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

The box itself is great, and our dog loves the toys that come with it. He is definitely an extreme chewer, and they hold up very well. My only complaint is the shipping time. Once the product ships, it's always 2+ weeks for us to actually receive it. The tracking information is very vague, and it seems like it sits in the same place for several days during the shipping process.

BarkBox response

Hi Rhonda! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback around your Super Chewer experience! While we are so happy to hear that the toys are a great fit for your pup, we sincerely apologize for the frustration caused by shipping delays and tracking updates. We certainly understand the concern you feel and this truly is not the experience we hoped for you and your special pup. We would like nothing more than to make this right for you as soon as we can. Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can assist further!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Many reviews here address the December shipping disaster. It took me almost two months to get a BarkShop order with shoddy tracking (it was all the shipping partner's fault). BarkShop refunded me immediately which was nice! Then when the package arrived, it was missing the key item (the rest I added on for free shipping). They did give me a complimentary BarkBox to try out in that package though. I worked with customer service over live chat to get the toy sent to me without a shipping charge. I did take a bit to pry it out of them but not every company would do that! The second order arrived in a much more timely fashion which tells me the previous situation was a COVID/Holiday season fluke. All of the toys are of high quality and I'm very happy with them. The experience was a mixed bag but I'd have no problem ordering from BarkBox/Shop again.

BarkBox Company Information