Call toll free
2.93/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BarkBox is a monthly subscription box with special toys and treats for your dog! Every box is designed to entertain and bring joy to your pup. With a new theme every month, BarkBox includes toys, treats and chews. Select from our 12 month, 6 month or 1 month subscriptions with the option to cancel your subscription plan length renewal at any time. Visit our website today to learn more about our service and products!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

503 BarkBox Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Let me start off by saying I have a full pack here. Complete with 4 dogs. That’s right. Four, gorgeous, big, psychotic, VERY spoiled, energizer-bunny-like dogs. (Two huskies and two Belgian Malinois to give you a better idea.) Now to be honest- I was skeptical about BarkBox. I knew people that had little dogs, labs and collies that were getting them... but my four? Well, they’re monsters. Lol. I couldn’t imagine that this would be a good fit so I brushed it off. I was spending a better part of $120-150 every TWO weeks on toys. And our huskies looove stuffed toys.... so I was finding fluff everywhere. Every day. It was never ending. So, begrudgingly, I reconsidered BarkBox. I ran into a bit of an issue after I ordered, because I found out about the Super Chewers BarkBox. So I called and was blown away at how extremely accommodating their customer service reps are!!

My first box had already been shipped out (They’re quick, people!) so there was nothing she could do there, but she offered to send me out a couple Super Chewers toys to hold us over until our next box free of charge!! SO FAR- Our BarkBox came & My dogs liked all the treats but surprisingly LOVED all the toys! I was impressed, not only were they given 3 toys, but there’re toys INSIDE of toys. So after they ripped them open, there was still something to play with! They lasted a good while, but they’re no match for this pack! We’re looking forward to our Super Chewer box. Overall, I’m very happy with my experience so far!

BarkBox response

Hi Crystal! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are thrilled to hear you and your rambunctious pack are enjoying your experience so far! I'm so excited for your pups to receive their first Super Chewer box and I hope they love it as much as my own pup does! If any concerns ever come up or any items are destroyed too quickly, please let us know! We're always happy to send a replacement per our Scout's Honor guarantee and we also have many customization options to ensure your pack is receiving the best assortment of goodies possible! Please give all those special fur babies some extra belly rubs from all of us here at BARK!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I signed up for a BarkBox subscription before one of my dogs passed away. I then received the first box after she had died. I had actually forgotten about it until the box came and had her name on it. So sad. I got online to change the account name and couldn’t figure out how to do that, so I reached out via email to customer service. I received a very sweet condolences email adding that she would take Lucy’s name off the account. She also offered to decrease the toy count from 3 to 2, which would also decrease the cost. Perfect.

We then exchanged several emails with her asking about my dogs and sending me pictures of her dogs and letting me know about their companion loss department. I sent her a few pictures as well. I mean who doesn’t like to talk about and show pictures of their dogs? A week later, I received a handwritten sympathy card from her...very sweet. Then 2 weeks later, I received a small book-sized package in the mail from BarkBox... too small to be THE BarkBox. Inside was a picture frame with an artistic sketch (it looks hand drawn to me) of one of the pictures I had sent. I burst into tears at not only the picture of my dogs, but the amazingly kind gesture. I have now received 3 boxes and my two other dogs love them. The toys and treats are great and I love the themes each month. I don’t think I’ve ever been treated with such kindness and compassion from a company and will continue to give them my business.

Hi Paula,

We are so happy to hear that your pups have been loving the goodies each month. We hope they are so excited for the fun themes and surprises we have in store. Do they have any favorites?

We're so sorry for your loss, but I know Lucy was very loved, and so lucky to have an amazing parent like you. We are always here to talk, or help with anything you may need.

Thank you for being in our pack!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

BarkBox has been without doubt the BEST company to deal with. Customer Service is absolutely TOP NOTCH! If you have a concern or question, BarkBox always gets back to you in record time, if they have a question or concern, they reach out to you in record time. This is exemplary customer service and the best proactive caring team I have ever been associated with. BarkBox is easy...you sign up, they remind you you're year is nearly up then you re-sign...it is that easy!. Our pets look forward to the BarkBox arrival each month, it's Christmas each month! The toys match the chew strength of your pet, that is stellar. The treats are top quality, I do not worry about feeding them to our pet.

I love the fact that BarkBox recognizes your pet's birthday with the option of a cake. I accidentally missed my notice, (due to attending a funeral out of state) and was sad about that, but will look for it next year for sure. I love the option (occasionally) to add a toy to your pet's box. This is a stellar idea, with top quality products, that I can count on...

Hi Priscilla!

We are absolutely thrilled to hear that Charlie (and you!) loving the goodies each month. Our #1 goal is ensuring every toy and treat are absolutely perfect for each and every pup. We love spoiling Charlie, and we can't wait for your special pup to see the fun surprises and themes we have in store. We appreciate you as a member of our pack!

As always, please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can do to help. Have a great day!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to prevent her from receiving treats she’s allergic to. The treats are high quality and made in the US. The toys are also amazing! We started with a year-long subscription, but since there a girl isn’t a big chewer or toy destroyer her a little toy box was soon overfilled. We contacted customer service and they were more than happy to help us reduce her subscription to an every other month one so we have more time to go through the treats and toys. We’ve had a few minor issues in the past, but they were always quickly resolved and everyone has been extremely helpful and provided extraordinary customer service.

I even contacted them recently regarding a toy from a BarkBox over year ago that our cat had fallen in love with hoping to replace it since a puppy friend had destroyed it. He seriously carried that toy everywhere and loved to play with it so we really wanted to get him a new one. Not only we're lucky enough that they still have the item in stock, but they Are sending us two free! It wasn’t necessary or asked of them, but it was greatly appreciated. They’ve definitely got a loyal subscriber.

BarkBox response

Hi there, Carolyn! Thanks so much for reaching out and letting us know about your entire fur-family's BarkBox Day experience! It sounds like it has been a real hit! Isn't it funny how they learn that the box is for them? Our office pups are the exact same way! Some even get cranky later in the month if their BarkBox has not yet arrived. We are absolutely thrilled to have you and Mabel (and your kitty, of course) in the pack! If you should ever need anything at all, please don't hesitate to reach out at happy@barkbox.com! Have a wonderful weekend!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When our girl arrived at 8 weeks old and a mouth full of little piranha teeth she cut through everything! Including tennis balls, wooden chairs, trees and people like butter! Soon after... This mystery box arrived in the mail! From her favorite far away Auntie! Her first BarkBox! Each box containing themed treats and toys! She absolutely adores them! In fact now when a box arrives she knows it's hers!

And to date, after 7 months she has worried a couple small holes in a couple of the toys but I don't know if it's because they are heavier made than her store-bought toys or just that she loves them more but so far all toys are still viable! I do believe the auntie did request for a heavy chewer. Definitely got us through her puppyhood with much less damage to all else! And she does like variety so different treat choices is always fun for her, and I like knowing they have healthier ingredients! For our girl these boxes have arrived like clockwork to date and we could not be more satisfied!

BarkBox response

Hi there, Linda! Thanks so much for reaching out and letting us know about your sweet girl's BarkBox Day experience! She looks like a big ball of sass! What breed is she? Looks like a Cattle Dog? I am glad to hear our More Durable toys are working for her! Much rather those chompers be used for good instead of evil (aka eating every stranger that walks through the door)! If you ever have a toy that doesn't fare so well, don't forget about our Scout's Honor Guarantee! This replaces that toy absolutely free! Please do not ever hesitate to reach out to happy@barkbox.com if you should ever need anything! Have a wonderful weekend :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Got a 1 year plan on September 28 2018. Figured I had till close to the end of September to cancel. Wrong, it auto-renewed on September 3rd. As others pointed out, no email message that it was going to auto renew on such and such date. Sent them messages each day about how I didn't want it auto-renewed. Two days ago I get an email that said they would be more than happy to cancel my subscription. Today I get an email that said, (putting it short) "What we mean by cancelling it is we won't auto renew it." Sorry this is bad business all the way around.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Started out very happy, but over time they stopped sending shipment confirmations, then stopped sending boxes. Always have an excuse. I've been told that they ran out, or "extenuating circumstances". Tired of constantly trying to get a hold of them. Spoke to a supervisor today and she refused to let me cancel after two missed shipments... told her we could quietly part ways, or I could share with friends and family how I was being held hostage by a company that was not holding up their end of the agreement and she said I could do what I felt I needed to do... so here I am. I will continue to write negative reviews sharing my experience until they either start sending my shipments or let me cancel.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Horrible customer service. I did not want to do monthly so I bought the 1 month delivery. After that box came, I would decide if I wanted to continue or cancel. After many emails to find out how to cancel after the first box came. I received NO help or answers. I emailed them cancel me now several times. I messaged them through their chat. Every request to cancel has been ignored. You can’t talk to anyone either. The phone message says you can message on Facebook messenger and hangs up. Now I have to sue with my bank since this place is so lame. I don’t want any toys either. Just a way to save them money on giving actual value.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I was pleased at first with this company. I cancelled my automatic payments and they still charged my card. Now I'm trying to get a refund but I can't reach anyone and no one is calling me back. I have tried several times to contact this company but have not succeeded.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Yes, I am among many that DO NOT like the tricky auto-renewal thing, and I swear I turned it off, but still it was renewed when I thought I was done with my 6-month gift membership, yet I was charged for ANOTHER 6 months. The charge was made at 1 AM today on my PayPal account. It came without warning, no email reminder, nothing. It is going to cause a cascade of over-draft fees on my bank account as a result. Between 7 and 9 AM today, I emailed and I used the contact form to request a refund and cancellation of the renewal. I did not receive any response or follow-up at all. I know that the box is not even sent yet because I still have time to customize it with add-ons for 2 more days...but no response.

So I tried chat. I got an immediate and satisfactory resolution via online chat. I even have the confirmation email from PayPal of processed refund, although it will be a few days before I see the funds in my account. Sarah assisted me. She was sympathetic to my plight and was very polite and professional. Not only that, it was the outcome that I wanted. No - it probably won't stop the overdraft fees that are going to hit me, but at least it softens the blow.

I would recommend that the DEFAULT for any new customer be set to NO auto-renewal. Let the customer turn that on if they want it. I also recommend email reminders of the upcoming renewal. These tactics are nothing short of fleecing customers caught unawares. I do appreciate that the cancellation policy in effect did not prevent my cancellation. I expect that is because I resolved this on the same day as the renewal and nothing has been sent. I like the service in general, just not the billing tactics. I may re-up after tax season for another 6 months, but I really want to see BarkBox end the auto-renewal structure. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Thank you however for Sarah and live chat (no thanks for the unresponsive contact form or email).

BarkBox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

BarkBox is a subscription service for all-natural treats and toys. You sign up for a plan and receive a themed BarkBox every month based on the size of dog you have. BarkBox launched in 2012 as part of BARK, an online pet treat and toy store.

• Personalized box: When you sign up for BarkBox, you choose plans based on the size of your dog. BarkBox has surprises for three different dog sizes: small, up to 20 pounds; medium, 20-50 pounds; and large, 50 pounds or more.

• Package contents: Each package includes at least two toys, two bags of all-natural treats and a chew. Contents change every month, so your dog won’t get the same thing twice.

• Fun themed packages: Each BarkBox comes with a fun theme like Sniffin’ Safari, Chewrassic Park and New York City. The BarkBox theme is a different surprise every month, ensuring that your dog never gets bored.

• Free replacement: If your pup doesn’t like an item they got, BarkBox will send your dog a replacement toy for free. This way, you never have to pay for a toy your dog doesn’t use.

• Subscription options: BarkBox costs $29 per month if you pay on a monthly basis. However, you can pay in advance to save money. Paying for six months at a time costs $25 per box, and paying for a full year costs $21 per month.

• Best for: owners and dogs who like surprises every month.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs