3.7/5 (886 ratings)
Find a Dog Treats partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About BarkBox

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

Pros

• Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size

Cons

• Subscriptions renew automatically

Bottom Line

BarkBox provides a fun monthly subscription box with treats and toys for your dog. While you can’t cancel a subscription early, there is a month-to-month option available.

Top BarkBox Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to ...

Verified

My dog absolutely loves all of the treats they send out. I’ve been having trouble with her breaking all of the toys however I just spoke with a representative [and] they are also ...

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

What is BarkBox, and how does it work?

BarkBox is a monthly toy and treat subscription box for your dog. You can purchase a 12-month, six-month or month-to-month subscription plan, and BarkBox delivers a new box straight to your door each month.

When you set up your subscription, you have an opportunity to let the company know your dog's size so you receive correctly sized toys. You can also alert BarkBox to any allergies your dog has to ensure the company sends appropriate treats.

What comes in a BarkBox?

Each BarkBox includes two toys, two bags of treats and one chew. You can add an extra toy to your box for $9 more each month. BarkBoxes are centered on a new theme each month — past themes include Chewrassic Bark, New York City, an ’80s-themed Throwback Thursday box and a Grinch-themed Christmas box.

barkbox

BarkBox toys: BarkBox's in-house designers plan out its line of brand-exclusive toys. The toys may include stuffing, squeakers or crinkle material.

BarkBox treats: BarkBox develops and makes its treats and chews in the U.S. with high-quality ingredients. You can customize your box to exclude any ingredients your pup may be allergic to, like chicken, turkey or beef.

How much is BarkBox?

BarkBox subscriptions start at $22 a month, but the price varies depending on the length of the contract. Your dog’s size does not affect BarkBox’s prices.

SubscriptionMonthly Price
12-month$23
6-month$26
Month-to-month$35

BarkBox FAQ

Is there a toys-only BarkBox?
BarkBox does offer all-toys and all-treats boxes. You have the option to completely tailor your box to whatever best fits your pup.
What is Super Chewer by BarkBox?
Super Chewer is a monthly subscription box for dogs who are tough on toys. Just like the original BarkBox, each box contains a mix of toys and treats, but each toy is designed for dogs with heavy chewing tendencies. Super Chewer subscriptions are slightly more expensive than standard BarkBox subscriptions.
Are BarkBox treats OK for dogs with allergies?
At sign-up, you can indicate if your dog has a common food allergy, like chicken, turkey or beef. If your dog has a less common allergy, you can contact BarkBox to ask about creating a custom box.
How do I cancel BarkBox?
If you sign up for a multiple-month subscription plan, you are unable to cancel early. However, you can turn off auto-renewal at any time and your boxes will be canceled after your current subscription plan has ended.

Is BarkBox worth it?

If you regularly spend money on treats and toys for your dog, we think BarkBox is worth it. The subscription plan ensures your beloved pet gets a new batch of toys each month and makes it simple for you by delivering the goodies straight to your door. The cost of the box is less than the value of the items, so BarkBox helps you save money and time on toys and treats.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I recently purchased a BarkBox subscription for my pups. After filling out the information, my first box was promptly delivered. I clearly did not mark any products with meat, only plants. Pork treats were sent in my box. While the toys were cute, they didn't last over a day. This is a monthly subscription, so I immediately canceled auto renew. The next box came with in 9 days, not 30 days, so charged again. This box had even poorer quality toys and again, food I cannot feed to my dogs. The toys fall apart so quickly, they are actually a danger to my dogs with the big plastic squeakers and all of the fuzz. At this point, it's a complete waste of money. So disappointed and so disappointed with the dog trainers that recommend their products.

BarkBox response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We extend our sincerest apologies for the disappointment. That is not the experience that we wanted for you and your pup. It doesn't look like there was an attempt to reach us about these concerns but we can definitely help. The subscription box that was chosen is the Classic, which has fluff, crinkle, plush fabric, and varying types of squeakers and materials. We have a few options for changing the durability. In addition, the allergies marked at sign-up were for chicken, turkey, and beef, so that isn't quite enough tailoring for receiving all plant-based treats. That has been changed for you. We also have a Scout's Honor Guarantee so you will be receiving replacements. The subscription was started on 8/28. The first box goes out right away but then they fall in line with the rest of the boxes after that. Keep an eye out for further communications from our team to go over this with you and see how we can help further. Thank you for choosing BARK and for your feedback.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

This company makes it next to impossible to cancel a subscription. I specifically requested immediate cancellation last month when they charged my credit card with an automatic annual renewal without even letting me know that my subscription was ending or giving me the option to extend it or cancel it. They claimed at that time they would have to charge me for the July box since it had already been delivered. OK, fine I said, but clearly stated in writing via email on 7/28 that I wanted them to immediately cancel the subscription. Several of their customer service reps tried to convince me to choose a different service, but again, after a string of emails, I clearly asked them to immediately cancel the subscription. Imagine my shock when I received yet another BarkBox yesterday.

I reached out to them again and they claimed I never responded about the cancellation of the service. That is a lie -- I sent the email chain where I make it abundantly clear that I wanted immediate cancellation. Now they won't send me a prepaid shipping label so I can return the unwanted box to them. What a SCAM. I notice in other reviews that others have had similar experiences to mine with this company. Do yourself a favor and go with BullyMake. They have better consumer reviews in general and do not have any bad reviews for service like BarkBox does.

BarkBox response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we extend our sincerest apologies for the frustrating experience with cancelation. That is not the experience that was intended and we thank you for reaching out and sharing this. It looks like there was communication sent and we were waiting to hear back before we made the cancelation. With that said, we take full responsibility for the confusion that was caused and we appreciate your feedback on the renewal process. I can confirm that your subscription has been closed and that you have now been refunded in full for the entire plan renewal.

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I canceled my subscription because I’m inundated with product, and that I noticed that I had another box being shipped to me. So I went onto my account and saw that I would have a additional boxes coming. I messaged their customer service to try to get this canceled and they said that although I was being billed monthly I was part of the 12 month subscription plan. They were able to adjust me to an every other month option but could not full on cancel. I asked them to escalate this to leadership to please adjust me to the monthly plan, since that was what I thought I was on, and then get me canceled. I told them that they are wasting their product and my money as I am now giving away most of what comes to my house. Then their online help service stopped talking to me.

I told them to please pass along my feelings that this service should be aware that families can become overwhelmed with product in a short time and would need to full on cancel subscription services. I may need to call my credit card to get it canceled that way. I don’t recall signing some one year agreement for monthly beer billing. I don’t believe I would’ve signed up for that. When I was paying monthly I believed it was a subscription service that I could shut off if I no longer needed it. At this point, I would never ever ever recommend this subscription to anyone. I will absolutely never buy products through them again since they are “unable to process returns at this time”, so they say, so I am stuck with their products. I absolutely feel like they are taking my money without my consent and I will get this stopped, with or without their help. Extremely disappointed. Really really poor customer care, as in they don’t care about their customers, evidently.

BarkBox response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and share your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the frustration and confusion. We certainly want to do everything that we can to make the subscription and deliveries to your pup the best fit possible. We do have a monthly option that can be stopped and started each month as desired. Keep an eye out for a private message from our team on how we can help further and accommodate your needs. Also, our apologies for miscommunicating, and if you thought that we stopped communicating. The last message was one that we sent to you but if you didn't receive that we are so sorry and please let us know. Thank you again for your feedback.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I would not recommend Bark Box to anyone. They never sent me the sign up promotional gift, which was supposed to be a dog bed. Then when I was signing up, it said that I would receive a discount if I paid for the full year rather than month to month. But what they didn't tell me is that the first month was at full price, so basically the discount was nonexistent. But the biggest complaint is that the toys are not durable at all. Virtually every month, my dog chews through the toys within minutes. When I complained, they tried to get me to sign up for a "super chewer" subscription at a much higher cost. Please save your money and do not give this company your business.

BarkBox response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the frustration and confusion. The account is showing that it was created with a different promotion so you would have received that one instead of the bed that you mentioned. Thank you for the feedback on the pricing confusion as well. The whole 6 months receives the discount, but since the offer comes after signing up, that first charge is already made and then the total remaining balance is calculated with the discount on the whole plan. It also sounds like the toys didn't last and we do have a Scout's Honor Guarantee as well. Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team to make sure that all of this is cleared up and completely resolved for you.

Resolution response: May 14, 2022

I thought I had purchased only one box, but apparently I was signed up for a subscription and was charged for another box. Learned you have to turn off auto-renewal. I was told initially they do not offer returns or refunds. Frustrating at first but after emailing I was able to resolve the issue.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Bought a one time box for my dog and not even 2 weeks later I was charged for a new box. I never signed up for a monthly subscription, yet my account said I was scheduled to buy 2 more boxes. When I went to my account, they automatically signed me up for renewals. Worst of all, I was told they don't offer any refunds or returns. So they basically took my money and they don't offer any help.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Beware of this company. They ask for a credit card for auto renewal. I cancelled before the new renewal, thought everything was good. They asked why. I told them my dog did not like the toys. I tried to be nice and just get it cancelled to stop at the end of that last contract. Thought everything was taken care of. They went and did a renewal. Several attempts to cancel.

The only email I get is, "Thank you for your response. Our team will be contacting you soon." THEY never CONTACTED. They will not pull this again. I have discussed with the company doing the payment. They will no longer be able to do any more auto renewals on my account. I want this cancelled and they will not respond. When your dog will not play with the toys anymore it is useless hard plastic that sits in the yard until thrown away.

BarkBox response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the confusion and frustration. That is not our intent and we hope for nothing but the best experience for you and your pup. We want to make sure this is resolved so please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so that we can help out further. In the meantime, please know that the account has been closed completely and refunded in full for the most recent renewal. You may enjoy the last box delivered or donate it to a local shelter or rescue, whichever you prefer. We did send correspondence to you regarding your cancellation request but we are so sorry if you didn't receive it. We are so sorry that your pup didn't like the toys and we would have been more than happy to send replacements under our Scout's honor Guarantee or tailor the box to the right fit. Please keep an eye out for further communications from our team so that we can make sure this is resolved for you.

Original review: May 8, 2022

No way to contact customer service except through email. I cancelled my subscription by following the instructions online; we were moving and had no forwarding address. Two boxes were left in my 6 month subscription. Not a problem, we were going to be at that address for another 6 weeks and would be able to receive the boxes. When subscription was over we continued to be charged and two boxes now have been delivered to an old address where we no longer live.

Contacted customer service and explained that the subscription had been cancelled and we should not have been charged to start a new 6 month subscription. Argument via email that rudely claimed that I had not cancelled my subscription and we were going to continue to be charged every month for another 6 months…. wanted us to prove we cancelled??? Really? Steps were followed per the company's instructions online This is why I do not and will not do auto-renew subscription services.

BarkBox response

Hi Susan! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the frustration and miscommunication in getting your plan canceled. That is not the experience that we wanted for you and I want to make sure to make this right for you and your pup. Keep an eye out for a direct email from the team so we can help out further.

Resolution response: May 4, 2022

After several days of back and forth, I was finally able to cancel my subscription. I still wouldn’t recommend this company, it’s just not worth the hassle if it’s not a good fit for you and your pet.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I’m just leaving this review to warn anyone thinking about signing up for the monthly subscription box. The toys are of poor quality, they’re destroyed by my dog in about 2 days. My dog didn’t care for the treats either. When I tried to cancel I got a wordy email telling me basically that I’ll be charged the whole six months even if I’m extremely dissatisfied with the entire experience. This company locks you into a subscription then refuses to stop charging you even if you no longer want it

BarkBox response

Hi Angela! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We incredibly sorry to hear about the experience that you had with each of your shipments, and when working with our team. This definitely is not the fun experience we had hoped for your pack. We also want to sincerely apologize for any miscommunication on our end of things. We do offer our Scout's Honor guarantee which promises to replace any items in your box that your pups can't have or don't love. We also never want to make our customers feel locked into a subscription that is not a perfect fit for their pack. We would love the opportunity to make this right for you! Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can help further!

Original review: April 2, 2022

I signed up for the free memory foam dog bed. I received a small used bed. Then the replacement bed was a used bed that wasn’t memory foam. My dogs won’t eat the treats. The toys are easily torn apart. The only way to contact support is through Chat. I closed my account and was guaranteed that I wouldn’t be reviled but I was billed again. THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD!!!

BarkBox response

Hi Shanda. Thank you so much for taking time to share the details of your experience. We want to sincerely apologize for the less than perfect experience you've had with BarkBox. We completely understand your concern regarding the bed you received as well as the treats not being up to your pup's liking. It is never our intention to make our customers feel taken advantage of and we always strive to keep the pups in our pack happy. It sounds like this has been an incredibly disappointing experience and we would like nothing more than to make this right.

Please be on the look out for a direct message from our team. We look forward to connecting with you further!

Original review: March 23, 2022

BarkBox is a great idea. My dogs love them but they destroy the toys in one afternoon/evening. I just changed to the super chewer version and I hope it’s better as I don’t want them eating the fluff. They mostly like the treats and I feel it is a decent value as some of the toys I purchased separately were 15 bucks each. If you have dogs that really chew you should order the super chewer without plush toys!

BarkBox Company Information