2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.53/5

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

BOTTOM LINE

BarkBox provides a fun monthly subscription box with treats and toys for your dog. While you can’t cancel a subscription early, there is a month-to-month option available.

PROS

• Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size

CONS

• Subscriptions renew automatically

Top BarkBox Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to prevent her from receiving treats she’s allergic to.

My dog absolutely loves all of the treats they send out. I’ve been having trouble with her breaking all of the toys however I just spoke with a representative [and] they are also going to send out new toys to replace the ones that my dog chewed up. Excellent!

What is BarkBox, and how does it work?

BarkBox is a monthly toy and treat subscription box for your dog. You can purchase a 12-month, six-month or month-to-month subscription plan, and BarkBox delivers a new box straight to your door each month.

When you set up your subscription, you have an opportunity to let the company know your dog's size so you receive correctly sized toys. You can also alert BarkBox to any allergies your dog has to ensure the company sends appropriate treats.

What comes in a BarkBox?

Each BarkBox includes two toys, two bags of treats and one chew. You can add an extra toy to your box for $9 more each month. BarkBoxes are centered on a new theme each month — past themes include Chewrassic Bark, New York City, an ’80s-themed Throwback Thursday box and a Grinch-themed Christmas box.

barkbox

BarkBox toys: BarkBox's in-house designers plan out its line of brand-exclusive toys. The toys may include stuffing, squeakers or crinkle material.

BarkBox treats: BarkBox develops and makes its treats and chews in the U.S. with high-quality ingredients. You can customize your box to exclude any ingredients your pup may be allergic to, like chicken, turkey or beef.

How much is BarkBox?

BarkBox subscriptions start at $22 a month, but the price varies depending on the length of the contract. Your dog’s size does not affect BarkBox’s prices.

SubscriptionMonthly Price
12-month$22
6-month$25
Month-to-month$29

BarkBox FAQ

Is there a toys-only BarkBox?
BarkBox does offer all-toys and all-treats boxes. You have the option to completely tailor your box to whatever best fits your pup.
What is Super Chewer by BarkBox?
Super Chewer is a monthly subscription box for dogs who are tough on toys. Just like the original BarkBox, each box contains a mix of toys and treats, but each toy is designed for dogs with heavy chewing tendencies. Super Chewer subscriptions are slightly more expensive than standard BarkBox subscriptions.
Are BarkBox treats OK for dogs with allergies?
At sign-up, you can indicate if your dog has a common food allergy, like chicken, turkey or beef. If your dog has a less common allergy, you can contact BarkBox to ask about creating a custom box.
How do I cancel BarkBox?
If you sign up for a multiple-month subscription plan, you are unable to cancel early. However, you can turn off auto-renewal at any time and your boxes will be canceled after your current subscription plan has ended.

Is BarkBox worth it?

If you regularly spend money on treats and toys for your dog, we think BarkBox is worth it. The subscription plan ensures your beloved pet gets a new batch of toys each month and makes it simple for you by delivering the goodies straight to your door. The cost of the box is less than the value of the items, so BarkBox helps you save money and time on toys and treats.

BarkBox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Many reviews here address the December shipping disaster. It took me almost two months to get a BarkShop order with shoddy tracking (it was all the shipping partner's fault). BarkShop refunded me immediately which was nice! Then when the package arrived, it was missing the key item (the rest I added on for free shipping). They did give me a complimentary BarkBox to try out in that package though. I worked with customer service over live chat to get the toy sent to me without a shipping charge. I did take a bit to pry it out of them but not every company would do that! The second order arrived in a much more timely fashion which tells me the previous situation was a COVID/Holiday season fluke. All of the toys are of high quality and I'm very happy with them. The experience was a mixed bag but I'd have no problem ordering from BarkBox/Shop again.

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Everything has been great; Gypsy loves the treats, especially the beef and duck. The small treats she is not thrilled with, she is an American Pit bull Terror and weights 70 lbs +, the treats are small and, she feels like it is a waste of her time unless she gets a hand full. That's alright and is not a problem, my girlfriend has a Chihuahua and Dachshund, and they love the small treats. I am incredibly pleased with all things from Bark Box, and the customer service is just as excellent as the products. The squeak toys are suitable for most dogs, but they just won't hold up for my Pit bull, I don't believe an anvil would hold up to her. It is not that she is destructive, but she plays very rough.

The two toys she received in her April box lasted longer than any before, about three months, and she is still playing with one whole toy and pieces of the other one. The toys were well made, but she is rough. I bought her a Kong when she was six months old; I find pieces of it in the yard from time to time, if you are familiar with Kong products, you will understand my meaning. The hard chew toys are excellent and have and still holding up very well under Gypsy's use. In my opinion, joining Bark Box was an excellent and wise choice. I have had Pit bulls, or Pit bull crosses and other breeds, mostly hunting dogs, from the time I was four years old, I am now almost seventy years old. I wish that Bark Box had been around when I started. It would have made training dogs a lot easier for the dogs and me.

I only have one dog now. There is no one in the house but her and me. I spoil her as much as possible. Bark Box makes this easy and convenient with a product that is not only nutritious and very healthy for Gypsy and is provided at a fair price. I could go on more about the benefits of Bark Box, and, from the looks of it, I have written a book. This product is worth any and all the praise that I can give about it. If you have any questions for me, feel free to contact me through Bark Box and will do my best to give you an answer without any B.S.. G. **.

Original review: April 11, 2020

We have used Bark Box for several months now and we cannot stop recommending to others. We have a large dog (Rottweiler mix) who is a super chewer and the toys are perfect for him. Our dog is obsessed with the toys he received and has a very hard time destroying the toys (which is unheard of for him). Before BB we would be going through toys weekly and the toys that we now get monthly last! No more trips to the pet store. The monthly box is actually saving us money.

The monthly themes are so fun for the human and the dog is excited for different flavored treats and toys. When I first signed up, our rep Lucy asked if we had any preferences and they customize our box every time. The customer service is great and they are always in communication with us no matter how big or small something is. Thanks for your amazing customer service and awesome products.

Original review: April 10, 2020

We got a beagle/bluetick mix in April of 2019, and found out he was a toy destroyer! He LOVES toys (especially stuffed ones) but being a baby he would destroy them and then try to eat the skins. Nothing was working and he was becoming bored. I kept seeing BarkBox on Facebook and they were promoting a pigs-butt. I got online to investigate and started a chat session with a customer service representative. I had already placed a subscription order for a Classic Barkbox, and found out they had a Super Chewer's version (insert huge smiley face!!).

The customer service rep. explained what it was and changed my subscription so that we would get the Super Chewer box monthly. We chose a 1yr subscription. So far the toys have been very durable. They are heavy and well made and he has not destroyed a single one - although he plays with them a LOT. The treats are aplenty! We share those with our senior Chihuahua who loves them too.

We have recommended the service to several of our friends who complain of the same issues of toy destruction. My only wish is that at some point they would find a nondestructible plushie (stuffed toy?). No squeaky required, just something he could carry around and not tear apart because he is in heaven whenever he has a new "baby". Benjin looks forward to his "mail" monthly and he knows the box that arrives is for him and his sister Paris!!! Thanks BarkBox for making my kids happy!

Original review: April 10, 2020

We love that they come every month. Also that it comes right to the door. Love love the themes every month. Toys they withstand about a week. Yet for him that is great. Not only do I love the themes each week he loves them. It is nice to try the different treats also. I don't have to get that much at the store anymore. If I had the extra money I would definitely get the extra toys every week. Love that the box also comes with description of the toys and little bit of info. Plus not only are the toys Hardy but they do have squeaky toys that he loves. The price is good because the toys last. So instead paying a few dollars every other day we pay a fair price for toys the he really enjoys and last for a few weeks. One of the best things is the great themes.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

The box itself is great, and our dog loves the toys that come with it. He is definitely an extreme chewer, and they hold up very well. My only complaint is the shipping time. Once the product ships, it's always 2+ weeks for us to actually receive it. The tracking information is very vague, and it seems like it sits in the same place for several days during the shipping process.

BarkBox response

Hi Rhonda! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback around your Super Chewer experience! While we are so happy to hear that the toys are a great fit for your pup, we sincerely apologize for the frustration caused by shipping delays and tracking updates. We certainly understand the concern you feel and this truly is not the experience we hoped for you and your special pup. We would like nothing more than to make this right for you as soon as we can. Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can assist further!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Stay away from BarkBox! I ordered a 5 or 6 month gift subscription for my nephew and his wife's pups. They had my credit card on file and charged me for 13 months. What started out as a $149.99 a month subscription ended up at $199.99 a month for 7 additional months. They did refund the final month when I realized what they were doing. Bad Dogs!

BarkBox response

Hi Edward. Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback. We want to sincerely apologize for the frustration caused the auto renewal of the plan you gifted to your family. It certainly was not our intention to catch you off guard with that charge but we do understand the concern this has caused. We want to ensure this is cleared up and resolved for you as soon as possible. Please be on the look out for a direct message from our team!

Resolution response: Jan. 16, 2021

I contacted customer service and they responded within a couple of days and took care of my problem which I really appreciate. I wasn’t expecting that at all. As long as they work with their customers in this way, I think they have a great thing going. Many dogs seem to enjoy the treats and toys, in fact I saw a couple of boxes a friend of mine got so I tried it, but my pit bulls are just really finicky. Thank you for your help and support BarkBox!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

If you sign up for this please understand that you CANNOT CANCEL your monthly charges or shipments, even if you are unhappy. They do not care. My dogs liked 1 little item out of the whole box. I thought, like every other company that exists, that I could receive a shipment and at least try it for 7 days to find out if the product was good. Definitely not that way with this company. I would have been happy to even pay the following month while I wait for them to stop the charges but they said no, they have to continue charging me for the whole year.

I tried to get my son's dog to eat the smelly treats but she wouldn't either. NOT WORTH THE MONEY. I am going to my bank this weekend to cancel my debit card since I have no other choice. Would have been VERY HAPPY to pay the $25 per month if my dogs liked it - that was why I tried it (or thought I was "trying" it). This is very bad business practice.

BarkBox response

Hi Avary! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We are so sorry to hear your pups did not enjoy the items in their first box. This definitely is not the fun experience we had hoped for your pack. We also want to sincerely apologize for any miscommunication on our end of things. We do offer our Scout's Honor guarantee which promises to replace any items in your box that your pups can't have or don't love. We also never want to make our customers feel locked into a subscription that is not a perfect fit for their pack. We would love the opportunity to make this right for you! Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team so we can help further!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Domino absolutely loves her Bark boxes! It has been so hard to find toys that she both likes and can’t destroy in 5 seconds. We are so glad that we heard about y’all! So far her favorite has been the wrench, she carries it everywhere, even to the vets office!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Please do not waste your money on product. Poor customer service. Messaged to cancel several times and still continue to take money. For small dog send toys that bigger than dog. Dog won't eat the nasty treats.

BarkBox response

Hi Bert! Thank you so much for taking time to share this feedback. We are so sorry to hear about this experience. We completely understand your frustration with the items not being the perfect fit for your special pup and we would like nothing more than to make this right for you and your pack. Please keep an eye out for a direct message from our team and we will be sure to resolve this right away!

BarkBox Company Information