2.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

BarkBox provides a fun monthly subscription box with treats and toys for your dog. While you can’t cancel a subscription early, there is a month-to-month option available.

PROS

• Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size

CONS

• Subscriptions renew automatically

Top BarkBox Reviews

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to prevent her from receiving treats she’s allergic to.

My dog absolutely loves all of the treats they send out. I’ve been having trouble with her breaking all of the toys however I just spoke with a representative [and] they are also going to send out new toys to replace the ones that my dog chewed up. Excellent!

What is BarkBox, and how does it work?

BarkBox is a monthly toy and treat subscription box for your dog. You can purchase a 12-month, six-month or month-to-month subscription plan, and BarkBox delivers a new box straight to your door each month.

When you set up your subscription, you have an opportunity to let the company know your dog's size so you receive correctly sized toys. You can also alert BarkBox to any allergies your dog has to ensure the company sends appropriate treats.

What comes in a BarkBox?

Each BarkBox includes two toys, two bags of treats and one chew. You can add an extra toy to your box for $9 more each month. BarkBoxes are centered on a new theme each month — past themes include Chewrassic Bark, New York City, an ’80s-themed Throwback Thursday box and a Grinch-themed Christmas box.

barkbox

BarkBox toys: BarkBox's in-house designers plan out its line of brand-exclusive toys. The toys may include stuffing, squeakers or crinkle material.

BarkBox treats: BarkBox develops and makes its treats and chews in the U.S. with high-quality ingredients. You can customize your box to exclude any ingredients your pup may be allergic to, like chicken, turkey or beef.

How much is BarkBox?

BarkBox subscriptions start at $22 a month, but the price varies depending on the length of the contract. Your dog’s size does not affect BarkBox’s prices.

SubscriptionMonthly Price
12-month$22
6-month$25
Month-to-month$29

BarkBox FAQ

Is there a toys-only BarkBox?
Each BarkBox subscription comes with a mix of toys and treats. However, you can buy the toys separately at the company’s BarkShop website or in select stores, including Target.
What is Super Chewer by BarkBox?
Super Chewer is a monthly subscription box for dogs who are tough on toys. Just like the original BarkBox, each box contains a mix of toys and treats, but each toy is designed for dogs with heavy chewing tendencies. Super Chewer subscriptions are slightly more expensive than standard BarkBox subscriptions.
Are BarkBox treats OK for dogs with allergies?
At sign-up, you can indicate if your dog has a common food allergy, like chicken, turkey or beef. If your dog has a less common allergy, you can contact BarkBox to ask about creating a custom box.
How do I cancel BarkBox?
If you sign up for a multiple-month subscription plan, you are unable to cancel early. However, you can turn off auto-renewal at any time and your boxes will be canceled after your current subscription plan has ended.

Is BarkBox worth it?

If you regularly spend money on treats and toys for your dog, we think BarkBox is worth it. The subscription plan ensures your beloved pet gets a new batch of toys each month and makes it simple for you by delivering the goodies straight to your door. The cost of the box is less than the value of the items, so BarkBox helps you save money and time on toys and treats.

BarkBox Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My three small elderly dogs love their boxes! My 13+ yr old chihuahua, Newman, was especially fond of the September 2018 Fluffafel toy and carried those little falafel balls everywhere. Newman was down to one and it’s now lost its squeaker! Is there any way to contact BarkBox to get a replacement toy or box from a discontinued line? I really want to get the dog new falafels since it’s one of the few joys in his sunset years.

BarkBox response

Hi there! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are so happy to hear that your pups are loving their BarkBoxes! We love that Newman found a favorite but sorry to hear it has lost it's squeaker! We'd love to keep Newman's tail wagging as long as possible so we'll be sending a direct email to help get this taken care of as soon as possible! :)

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Let me start off by saying I have a full pack here. Complete with 4 dogs. That’s right. Four, gorgeous, big, psychotic, VERY spoiled, energizer-bunny-like dogs. (Two huskies and two Belgian Malinois to give you a better idea.) Now to be honest- I was skeptical about BarkBox. I knew people that had little dogs, labs and collies that were getting them... but my four? Well, they’re monsters. Lol. I couldn’t imagine that this would be a good fit so I brushed it off. I was spending a better part of $120-150 every TWO weeks on toys. And our huskies looove stuffed toys.... so I was finding fluff everywhere. Every day. It was never ending. So, begrudgingly, I reconsidered BarkBox. I ran into a bit of an issue after I ordered, because I found out about the Super Chewers BarkBox. So I called and was blown away at how extremely accommodating their customer service reps are!!

My first box had already been shipped out (They’re quick, people!) so there was nothing she could do there, but she offered to send me out a couple Super Chewers toys to hold us over until our next box free of charge!! SO FAR- Our BarkBox came & My dogs liked all the treats but surprisingly LOVED all the toys! I was impressed, not only were they given 3 toys, but there’re toys INSIDE of toys. So after they ripped them open, there was still something to play with! They lasted a good while, but they’re no match for this pack! We’re looking forward to our Super Chewer box. Overall, I’m very happy with my experience so far!

BarkBox response

Hi Crystal! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are thrilled to hear you and your rambunctious pack are enjoying your experience so far! I'm so excited for your pups to receive their first Super Chewer box and I hope they love it as much as my own pup does! If any concerns ever come up or any items are destroyed too quickly, please let us know! We're always happy to send a replacement per our Scout's Honor guarantee and we also have many customization options to ensure your pack is receiving the best assortment of goodies possible! Please give all those special fur babies some extra belly rubs from all of us here at BARK!

Original review: June 23, 2019

I signed up for a BarkBox subscription before one of my dogs passed away. I then received the first box after she had died. I had actually forgotten about it until the box came and had her name on it. So sad. I got online to change the account name and couldn’t figure out how to do that, so I reached out via email to customer service. I received a very sweet condolences email adding that she would take Lucy’s name off the account. She also offered to decrease the toy count from 3 to 2, which would also decrease the cost. Perfect.

We then exchanged several emails with her asking about my dogs and sending me pictures of her dogs and letting me know about their companion loss department. I sent her a few pictures as well. I mean who doesn’t like to talk about and show pictures of their dogs? A week later, I received a handwritten sympathy card from her...very sweet. Then 2 weeks later, I received a small book-sized package in the mail from BarkBox... too small to be THE BarkBox. Inside was a picture frame with an artistic sketch (it looks hand drawn to me) of one of the pictures I had sent. I burst into tears at not only the picture of my dogs, but the amazingly kind gesture. I have now received 3 boxes and my two other dogs love them. The toys and treats are great and I love the themes each month. I don’t think I’ve ever been treated with such kindness and compassion from a company and will continue to give them my business.

Hi Paula,

We are so happy to hear that your pups have been loving the goodies each month. We hope they are so excited for the fun themes and surprises we have in store. Do they have any favorites?

We're so sorry for your loss, but I know Lucy was very loved, and so lucky to have an amazing parent like you. We are always here to talk, or help with anything you may need.

Thank you for being in our pack!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My labrador Mila, has had BarkBoxes coming her way since the first month we brought her home. She is now 4 years old and still loves them! The treats are great and the only ones she gets besides fruits or veggies. Mila loves the toys, but tends to destroy the stuffed ones within a month or two, other than that, great job BarkBox!

Hi Jessica!

Thank you for the valuable feedback! We're so happy to hear that Mila has been loving the boxes and that she has grown up receiving them. We love spoiling her!

I did want to let you know that we have options for more durability. I do see Mila is already receiving our free more durable option. I hope this is helping the life of those toys! We also have our Super Chewer Barkbox that includes tough plush free, rubber toys! If you would be interested in learning more about Super Chewer please let us know. We always want to ensure Mila is having the best BarkBox day every month!

Take care!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

BarkBox has been without doubt the BEST company to deal with. Customer Service is absolutely TOP NOTCH! If you have a concern or question, BarkBox always gets back to you in record time, if they have a question or concern, they reach out to you in record time. This is exemplary customer service and the best proactive caring team I have ever been associated with. BarkBox is easy...you sign up, they remind you you're year is nearly up then you re-sign...it is that easy!. Our pets look forward to the BarkBox arrival each month, it's Christmas each month! The toys match the chew strength of your pet, that is stellar. The treats are top quality, I do not worry about feeding them to our pet.

I love the fact that BarkBox recognizes your pet's birthday with the option of a cake. I accidentally missed my notice, (due to attending a funeral out of state) and was sad about that, but will look for it next year for sure. I love the option (occasionally) to add a toy to your pet's box. This is a stellar idea, with top quality products, that I can count on...

Hi Priscilla!

We are absolutely thrilled to hear that Charlie (and you!) loving the goodies each month. Our #1 goal is ensuring every toy and treat are absolutely perfect for each and every pup. We love spoiling Charlie, and we can't wait for your special pup to see the fun surprises and themes we have in store. We appreciate you as a member of our pack!

As always, please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything we can do to help. Have a great day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

August Barkbox: no chews coming. Don't worry they'll be extra in September. September barkbox: can't get across Canadian border, doesn't show up at all. Don't worry extras in October barkbox. October barkbox: doesn't ship, doesn't ship, then it will ship but with no treats or chews in it all...so refunded instead. November barkbox: assured all problems worked out. Constant pushed back shipping dates. Just yesterday Customer service said it would ship soon. This morning...Again a later date. There's no way it will arrive in November now. Used to be such a pleasure, now this company is nothing but stress. :(

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

This is the second month that my Barkbox subscription has been delayed continuously. I never even received my October Barkbox. After they had delayed the shipping several times, they finally sent out an email saying they ran out of inventory and credited the value back to me. Fine, but delaying again for a second month?! This is ridiculous. They should have figured out their issues last month. I also ordered additional items this time that I need by December 1st, but at this rate, I doubt I will even get a box again this month. I am VERY unhappy with my experience. Go with another subscription service if you are thinking about joining Barkbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My dogs go insane over Bark Box. They get so excited when the box comes and have loved every single toy they have gotten. I can’t even describe how they get when they see a new toy. They start jumping and barking and that’s how I know they are excited. In the past they just laid around all day. Now they are constantly playing with the toys. Don’t even get me started on the treats. The only thing bad about the treats is that the bags aren’t bigger! I could probably get my dogs to do anything when I pull out the bark box treats. Thank you so much!

BarkBox response

Hi Katie! Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback! We are so happy to hear BarkBox has brought so much excitement to your special pups! I think my own pup would definitely agree on bigger sized treat bags so I'll see what we can do about that. In the mean time though, we can at least customize your box to include more treats if you wish! If you're interested, feel free to reach out to our team at lindz@barkbox.com to learn more! Pass some extra belly rubs to your pups from all of us here at BARK!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

BarkBox is the best day of the month, every month, for Franklin. It's like his birthday and Christmas wrapped into one, except it comes 12 times a year. He's obsessed with the toys and treats, and the themes and characters are hilarious from my husband's and my perspective as well.

BarkBox response

Hi Allison! Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are so happy to hear that BarkBox day brings excitement for your entire pack and Franklin is loving his goodies each month! We are truly dedicated to making this experience as fun as possible for pups and their parents. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if we can do anything to make your BarkBox day even more perfect! Give Franklin extra belly rubs from all of us here at BARK!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Melvin loves the toys he receives. I would recommend a lot of friends to this company! Good quality products and great service. The experience has been great. Thanks for loving all the doggos!! Can’t wait for the next box.

BarkBox response

Hi there, Jaycie! We really appreciate you taking time to share your feedback! We are so happy to hear that Melvin is loving his toys and you and your pack are having a great experience! Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make Melvin's BarkBox day more perfect! Pass some extra belly rubs along to your special pup from all of us here at BARK!

BarkBox Company Information