4.51/5
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BarkBox is a monthly subscription box with special toys and treats for your dog! Every box is designed to entertain and bring joy to your pup. With a new theme every month, BarkBox includes toys, treats and chews. Select from our 12 month, 6 month or 1 month subscriptions with the option to cancel at any time. Visit our website today to learn more about our service and products!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 25, 2018

63 BarkBox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2018

We have 6 dogs. I chose a box that fit most of them. The toys were all stuffed and had fur hair on them which my dog would choke on when he chewed on the toys. The third box we received, we gave everyone a treat out of one bag. The two smaller dogs started vomiting and had black diarrhea the next day. I rushed them to the vet. After $380 it was determined to be something they ate. The treat was the only thing in their diet that was new. I came home and found one of the other dogs got into the barkbox and ate the remainder of the bag of treats. That night she had a seizure. I immediately contacted BarkBox to cancel and after 4 tries finally got someone to actually do it. Had to use the online chat because the phone number listed is a recording telling you to use the online chat which kept dropping me. They did refund half the 6 month subscription but were shocked that their delicious treats would cause a problem.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have 4 dogs when we first subscribed to Barkbox to give a try. Their website did not confirm my order and mistakenly pressed it again for a second order. No big deal I thought, I have 4 dogs between 45-65 lbs. The first 2 boxes came in and each had 1 rubber toy and 1 soft plush toy with squeaker. The soft one lasted about 10 minutes and the rubber toy lasted much longer but after a week my dogs were no longer interested in it. The treats...well my dogs love treats but I do not give them that many for whatever reason. I still have a stockpile of bags of treats. Don't worry, my dogs are pretty spoiled and eat quite well. We decided the boxes were not worth it as we can buy boxes of regular hard treats for cheaper and find toys that will last. We even get stuffed toys for free or very cheap at yard sales to let my dogs tear apart. The boxes were just not worth it.

When I cancelled I was pretty sure I cancelled both but just found out they have another invalid email in my account and already charged me for another 12 month commitment. I emailed to see about canceling and Taylor from Barkbox said I am in for another 12 months and even tried to upsell me for a different type of box. I could care less about their 'different kind of box' and just want to stop the subscription. Unless you have Fufu dogs who like Fufu toys and treats and you like bad customer service, I would not recommend Barkbox.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was receiving BarkBox for my pups. Was never really impressed with their items. We were in process of moving when I received my last box, so I canceled my account. Just checked my balance at bank and it showed BarkBox charged me for another month. So I logged into BarkBox and it clearly shows my account had been cancelled! I emailed them for refund. I will never recommend BarkBox to anyone! Poor customer service. I never gave them permission to “renew” my subscription.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Our dog Dot loves the cute toys but they are soft plushy toys that she destroys in minutes, leaving white fluff everywhere. Although the description on the treat packages sound good, she hasn’t liked any of them. We now have a plethora of treats to give away. On the plus side, she loves opening the box, packaging is nicely done and it’s always delivered on time.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I'd been subscribing to BarkBox for a few months when my 18mo old pitbull pup suddenly passed away. My BarkBox had already been paid for and was in route to my home when I lost her. I was able to cancel my membership online, AND to my surprise, a few days after received a HAND WRITTEN card and envelope expressing the team's deepest condolences. It was a really difficult time, as she was my emotional support dog, but I can honestly say that receiving such a warm, non-generic response from the team brought a warm smile to my face through the flood of tears. This is an AMAZING business practice that I hope this company never loses sight of. I can purchase all the toys in the world from any business, but money can't buy a loving heart and good business practices. I applaud you BarkBox!! I am strongly considering restarting the services and gift it monthly to a friend just to show my support though I no longer have a furbaby of my own.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I’ve had the monthly charge taken from my credit card twice now but have yet to receive any product. I’ve reviewed my address and emailed and started a chat but have yet to hear anything. Does anyone know if this is a scam company? I feel like I’ve been duped. :-(

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Dexter totally goes crazy when his box comes in the mail! The downside, he now thinks that ALL boxes that come in the mail are for him! He fidgets like a little kid while waiting for the box to be opened! Then comes the hard part... trying to decide what to play with first!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Bella loves her BarkBox, she knows when the mailman is coming and opens it on her own :). It's always a surprise on what items were going to get and she wont even let me get the tags off the toys before she starts to play with them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

With our first order we modified to include ‘heavy chewer’ toys. First order included plush toys destroyed within 10 minutes (no exaggeration!). I messaged the team. They acknowledged the error, sent replacement. All subsequent orders included plush toys??? We’ll be cancelling.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Lucy loves her BarkBox. She loves the toys. She gets tired and needs a nap after playing with them. They are all her favorite. She loves the treats as well. We use them for teaching her tricks. The humans like the different themes each month. We think they are really cute, and the toys are adorable. Lucy is such a happy pup!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Every month when the Box comes Suzie knows it's for her. We sit together and open it. She loves everything you have sent and I enjoy the different themes. Suzie has so many toys I had to get her a new box. The toys are better quality than most in the stores. Some say Suzie is spoiled and yes she is. Thanks BarkBox people you are great.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Remington really loves the items in the boxes, although the October box was most definitely disappointing. We were expecting more Halloween styled toys but got something that looked just like what was in previous boxes. The treats seem to be good. She eats most of them. I believe she is down as a big time chewer and Novembers toys have already had the stuffing pulled out completely!! Otherwise we do enjoy the boxes.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Bailey really like the toys - just wish they werent all "soft" toys as she destroys them within the week. We were told they were putting her in the "Super Chewers" program - thought that would include more "hard" toys. Bailey really loves all the treats that are included in the boxes too.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We love Bark Box, the art is so cute and the toys are well thought of! The only thing is my Chihuahua would have more fun if you had smaller toys. She cant play with some of them due to the size. Otherwise if I had to pay for the items separate it would be really hard for me to do so! So spoiling her this way is the best for both of us!!

BarkBox response

Michele, sounds like you and your pup are really loving the boxes each month, but we're sorry to hear that the toys are the best fit! We are going to send you a private message!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My favorite thing about BarkBox is the treats. My dog will shred the toys in a matter of minutes and then bury their squeaky insides in the backyard, but the treats easily last her all month long! I haven't bought treats at the store once since I started my subscription.

BarkBox response

Sounds like she is having fun until the last bit! Glad the toys and treats are such a hit each month!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We love getting BarkBox every month. Our dog Cash is overjoyed any time he realizes it's finally here. The toys are high quality and the treats are great for him. He loves everything about his boxes and we feel it's well worth the money! We have recommended BarkBox to all our friends!

BarkBox response

So happy to hear that!! A happy Cash is a happy life!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

What a fabulous concept BarkBox is... my dog & I LOVE it!!! We both look forward to its arrival. It is so much fun for me too as all the stuff has a theme and it is so cute. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

BarkBox response

That's great to hear!! We hope we can continue to rock each box :)

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I saw BarkBox on Facebook and knew some friends that were enrolled. I'm happy I enrolled and the boxes are fair in price. The toys are cute and my dogs liked most of the treats that he was allowed to have due to his allergies. These make a great holiday gift idea for friend's pets. It's always a fun surprise to see what they will get.

BarkBox response

Thanks for those kind words Sophia! We are so glad that the boxes are killing it each month for your pup! If you ever do get a treat he can't have, don't hesitate to reach out!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My Jacks go crazy when any box arrives as think every box is a BarkBox! One goes crazy with toys and has a collection that strings out all over the house. It keeps him happy. They all love the treats. It is fun to open the box with them. It makes me laugh. Thanks.

BarkBox response

Sounds like it's fun for the whole family! So glad to hear that the boxes are such a hit each and every month.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I love BarkBox!!! So does Mason! He looks forward to it every month! He knows when his box comes and brings it to us to open it. I couldn't love this company more! The treats are great and the toys are extremely durable. They last him a long time and I love that the power chewer program is free! It's such a good value.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We absolutely love our monthly BarkBoxes! I do have a destroyer in my house, but honestly I don't mind him destroying every toy once he gets bored with them because there are two new toys coming soon! I also really love the toys that have more toys inside, those toys make me feel like I got more value because you can never have too many squeaky balls! The treats are a great way to find out what your dog does/does not like without spending a fortune. We have a lot of doggy friends, so it's pretty much guaranteed that ONE of the dogs will like them! Great way to learn about your new dog (especially since I adopted mine young with no history), and a great way to make doggy friends in case your dog doesn't like something he's sent.

BarkBox response

Raya, we are SO GLAD to hear that Malibu is having so much fun with the toys each month! And we bet those other pups love you guys for sharing those treats!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have family who gets BarkBox for their pets and I have always thought it was a really good idea, but until November of last year, I didn't have a dog of my own. When I got Miss Harley, I decided a little later on that BarkBox would be the best thing for not only her but me as well. Harley isn't trained (yet) and so taking her into a Petco or other pet specific stores makes my anxiety level go through the roof. Not to mention you spend so much more than you get! But with BarkBox, I can get so much for only $25 a month!

Harley isn't big on toys, but when she does play with one, she destroys it. So I called BarkBox's customer service. It was the BEST thing I have ever done. Not only did they replace every toy she destroyed for free, they upgraded her toys to heavy chewer toys and they let me trade in one of the two toys for a third bag of treats! Harley may not be big on toys but she sure is big on treats and we haven't gotten a bag yet that we haven't loved! If you haven't gotten BarkBox for your dog yet, you should! It's the best thing for our family!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We actually have 3 dogs, Bella, Zoey and Laci. Bella especially enjoys the stuffed toys and we have to be careful with Zoey as she will tear the squeaker out quickly if we don't watch her! Laci is not a toy dog but really enjoys the treats!

BarkBox response

Glad to hear that the boxes are a great fit for the whole pack!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Barkley loves to get his BarkBox every month. He gets so excited when it comes in the mail, because he knows it is all his. The toys are sturdy and the treats are tasty. Even for a super chewer the toys keep him happy for a long time. Barkley loves the spikey balls inside other toys. It's like getting two toys in one.

BarkBox response

The toys that have other toys inside of them, are the best toys, aren't they?? Happy to hear that Barkley is loving those!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have nothing but positives for BarkBox. Bandit has loved almost ALL toys and treats. On the rare occasion he does not like a treat, BarkBox service has sent him another free of charge right away. I love the great customer service but more importantly, I love how happy it makes Bandit. I already have recommended to a friend and will continue to recommend to all. I love that all treats are healthy and don't contain all the junk that you get in mass produced dog treats. Keep up the great work BarkBox. You have a great fan in myself and Bandit.

BarkBox response

Hey we're a fan of yours and Bandit's too! We're so happy to have you two in the pack and thanks for sharing us with your friends :)

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I got a monthly subscription for my daughter Megan's dog Mya Bear. She is a goberian. Which is 1/2 golden retriever and 1/2 siberian husky. She was a rescue at 6 months. She is a beautiful and protective dog. Since now she has 2 nonfur siblings Sophia 41/2 and Keith 1/2. I thought she deserved a monthly treat for all she does for her family and me. I called and got tougher toys in her box without any problem because she loves to chew up her toys. But she can't destroy these durable toys and she really enjoys the treats immensely. The BarkBox company has always delivered what they promised at a reasonable price.

BarkBox response

Dee, now that's a pack!! We are so happy we were able to find something that fits Mya Bear perfectly!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Kuda absolutely loves getting her BarkBox. She loves the toys and treats. I love it because the toys are durable and the treats make it great since I don't have to worry about running to the store for more. We look forward to getting them every month. It's exciting since we don't know what is coming in the following month's box.

BarkBox response

Tracie and Kuda, we are so excited for you to see what the coming boxes will be! Glad you both love surprises as much as we do :)

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Teddy always loves the treats in his BarkBox! We especially enjoyed the bone in the box last month. His rain cloud toy has been a big hit! Thank you BarkBox for sending such unique and creative toys for us all the enjoy.

BarkBox response

No thank YOU Nikki! Always happy to make Teddy happy!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

We love our BarkBoxes, and our little Trixie gets excited every time a new box arrives. We most definitely would recommend a friend to this service, and intend on doing so in the next few days. In every box we have received, we have absolutely no complaints. Keep up the great work.

BarkBox response

What kind words Noel! Don't forget about our referral program!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have subscribed for a little over a year. Jimmy always looks forward to his 'package' every month. I feel BarkBox is a great value, and will continue to subscribe as long as it remains a great value. There are normally 5 items in the box, and they are always of high quality. He still has many toys that are about a year old.

BarkBox response

We're so happy the boxes are so enjoyed by Jimmy!

BarkBox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

BarkBox is a subscription service for all-natural treats and toys. You sign up for a plan and receive a themed BarkBox every month based on the size of dog you have. BarkBox launched in 2012 as part of BARK, an online pet treat and toy store.

• Personalized box: When you sign up for BarkBox, you choose plans based on the size of your dog. BarkBox has surprises for three different dog sizes: small, up to 20 pounds; medium, 20-50 pounds; and large, 50 pounds or more.

• Package contents: Each package includes at least two toys, two bags of all-natural treats and a chew. Contents change every month, so your dog won’t get the same thing twice.

• Fun themed packages: Each BarkBox comes with a fun theme like Sniffin’ Safari, Chewrassic Park and New York City. The BarkBox theme is a different surprise every month, ensuring that your dog never gets bored.

• Free replacement: If your pup doesn’t like an item they got, BarkBox will send your dog a replacement toy for free. This way, you never have to pay for a toy your dog doesn’t use.

• Subscription options: BarkBox costs $29 per month if you pay on a monthly basis. However, you can pay in advance to save money. Paying for six months at a time costs $25 per box, and paying for a full year costs $21 per month.

• Best for: owners and dogs who like surprises every month.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs