Call toll free
4.74/5
Based on 178 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

BarkBox is a monthly subscription box with special toys and treats for your dog! Every box is designed to entertain and bring joy to your pup. With a new theme every month, BarkBox includes toys, treats and chews. Select from our 12 month, 6 month or 1 month subscriptions with the option to cancel your subscription plan length renewal at any time. Visit our website today to learn more about our service and products!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

178 BarkBox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2018

Meme is receiving TWO BarkBoxes. Had not received May box. Saw I had a 12 month subscription. Had an offer for a subscription with bonus toy. Two days later, I received late box, then a couple days new box was here. In June, I got 2 boxes (a few days late). July, they are on schedule, but I'm still getting 2. I only need 1. Thank you.

BarkBox response

Hey Connie and Meme! We are so terribly sorry about this and that is not the experience that we want you to have at all. We are more than happy to clear this up for you and make sure you only get one box a month going forward. Then since you were getting two boxes for this month please feel free to donate the second extra box on us to a local shelter in your area!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 26, 2018

Both my dogs enjoy the treats and toys they receive monthly. Customer Service is over the top fantastic! Always concerned that the dogs are enjoying their monthly surprises. One of my dogs have allergies, and the box is designed around her allergy. They also offer more durable toys for the heavy chewers - like mine! :)

Original review: June 22, 2018

Every month the box comes and I am literally clobbered by my pups in anticipation. I’m pretty sure the themes are more exciting for me but helps me stay engaged and as excited as they are. It’s a 5 star experience for them but I only gave four stars Because the toys are often too big for little Milo and he will only play with them for a little bit but since he can’t escape with them fast enough cuz of their size the bigger dogs take them. The treats are always a big hit but I won’t give them the bully stick or hard treat because it’s often so hard I can’t even break it and I’m afraid one of them might choke on it so I stay on the cautious side and throw that one away. The last 3 or 4 months I’ve had to do this. Otherwise I love this monthly fun time with my little ones!!

Original review: June 22, 2018

Blizzard is a deaf Goldendoodle who hears with his heart. He always looks forward to his BarkBox and we hold up his toys up so he can look at each one them before making his choice of the one he wants first. He also loves the treats too!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love coming home and seeing the BarkBox on my porch. My dog, Duke, also loves it when he sees me bring it inside. It's the highlight of the month for Duke. He'll stare at it, because he knows what it is, even though he can't open it. He loves all the toys, and all the treats that he receives. I have not received a treat bag yet that he wouldn't eat. And the customer service is the best on the planet. I'm very happy with being a BarkBox customer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have three vizslas--9-year-old Zoltan, 6-year-old Judit, and 5-month-old Sophia. When that box arrives it's like Christmas for them! They get very excited and always have fun "opening" their package to dig into those fun toys and tasty treats! The themes are always clever and the toys are well-made to withstand their aggressive play. I appreciate the variety of treats included, and am impressed with the quality of ingredients. Thank you for providing my vizslas with quality toys and treats that bring so much happiness to our home--I love spoiling them every month! PLEASE keep up the great products and service!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I really love the BarkBoxes that come to the door. It really has good treats and cute toys for our fur babies. There is two things I would change. 1. Months with holidays given the option to choose holiday toys or regular. Like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, 4th of July... etc. I would choose the holiday every time. 2. On the birthday months, you sent out a email asking about the birthday cake treat. I wished it would have arrived before the birthday, instead of 5 days later. It was disappointing.

Original review: June 20, 2018

When I first signed up for BarkBox, I was an excited first-time puppy owner. I loved my dog and I wanted to give him the best of the best, and BarkBox was an excellent way to do that. I love knowing that I'm giving my dog top quality treats, and I never have to worry about running out because I get two bags each month. Being a first time dog owner, I also didn't realize how valuable the auto ship toys would be! While my dog doesn't usually tear through toys, he will rip holes in them to get squeakers out or chew a hole in them. I never have to worry about replacing toys because I know he'll be getting another BarkBox soon.

The themes of the box are fun for me and my husband and are always good for a laugh - I think we look forward to the box as much as the dog! The customer service I have received with BarkBox is also top notch. The very few times I've had an issue or there was a toy that my dog wasn't a fan of, they fixed it right away. I also love the BarkBox app, especially the feature to rate the toys in each box. I like being able to provide feedback on what my pup likes best, and I feel like my boxes have had more toys that he absolutely LOVES since I started reviewing them every month. 10/10 would recommend to anyone with a dog.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The theme each month is so much fun and creative! The toys are so cute and the snacks are ALWAYS a hit! I have thoroughly enjoyed getting this every month for my fur babies. The customer service is excellent as well!

BarkBox response

Hey there Diana and pack! Thanks so much for the kind words and for the great review. We are so happy to hear that you and the pups are getting so much joy out of the monthly boxes! Barkbox day is the best day monthly! Then in the meantime if you guys need anything else going forward please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have been subscribing to BarkBox for about a year after we got our new puppy and we couldn't be happier! Every month we receive the best treats and toys and Jerry is always so excited! Additionally, I love how they reach out about your experience and what works and what isn't. I also appreciate the options to add, upgrade or change items based on your dog's needs/wants, This has been a great experience for us and our pup and we don't have to leave the house! It's like Christmas once a month for our pup! :)

BarkBox response

Hey Amy and pack! Thanks so much for the kind words and the great review. We are so happy to hear that you guys are both loving the monthly surprises in the mail. We are dedicated to keeping that tail wagging and keeping you a happy pup parent as well. We totally understand that every pup is different so we try to cater to every pups specific needs the best we can. Please give your pup all of the love from us. Then in the meantime if there is anything else that we might be able to help with just let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My 30-pound mutt, Bernie Sanders, LOVES his monthly BarkBox. So do I. The treats are wonderful and plentiful, so much so that we often share at doggy daycare. I know the treats are made in the USA. I wish the toys were as well.

BarkBox response

Hey Bonita and Bernie! Thanks so much for your kind words and for the rating! We are so happy to hear that we are bringing so much happiness to you, Bernie and the pups at Daycare as well monthly! In the meantime if you guys need anything at all going forward please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help at any time and spoil Bernie and the daycare pups more!

Original review: June 19, 2018

We enjoy our monthly BarkBox. They always include fun and unique themes. The best part of this company is the excellent customer service. They make you feel very important and resolve any issue promptly. I recommend them to all of my friends and family.

BarkBox response

Thanks for the kind words Jennifer and for spreading that Barkbox love to other pups and pup parents! If you guys need anything else going forward please don't hesitate to let us know at any time. We are always more than happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Jack and I get very excited every time we get a new BarkBox. We like to see what the monthly theme is and then we like to sample the treats and sniff our new toys. We sometimes take pictures with props or write fairy tales about our current box. Thanks for the barking good times!!!

BarkBox response

Hey Jenifer and Jack! Thanks so much for being such loyal members of the pack and for the kind words! Spoiling Jack makes us the happiest every single month! We would also love to hear these Fairy Tales that you are talking about. In the meantime if there is anything else that we might be able to help with please don't hesitate to let us know at any time.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2018

My C/S rep was nice and answered my question, but I was not happy with the answer. When we started, referred friends got a free box and we received a free box. That has changed and we were not notified. I referred a friend and they did not get a free box so they did not sign up. It made me look foolish. If I would have known I would have referred them, but not told them they would get a free first box.

BarkBox response

Hey Terri! We are so sorry about your experienece and for the trouble with changing our program. We are more than happy to honor that for you and your friend! That way we can get that pups tail wagging as well and make sure credit is given where it's due. Please email us directly at Lindz@barkbox.com and we will get you both taken care of.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Angel looks forward to her BarkBox each month and so do we! Anytime we receive a package in the mail now she thinks it's for her. She always loves the toys and the treats (especially the chews!) and anytime we have an issue, the BarkBox team is ready and willing to make it right. Thank you, BarkBox for giving Angel something to look forward to.

BarkBox response

Thanks so much for your kind words Carrie and Angel! We are so very lucky to have you guys in the pack and to be able to spoil Angel! Tell Angel if she wants more monthly chews in her boxes we are now able to customize our boxes to get more of some items and less of another. You can email us directly at Lindz@barkbox.com if that sounds like something she would love to do! Give her all of the love and pets from us here! Then if you need anything at all going forward please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My Mastiff, Thor, and his pitbull sister, Brinley, anxiously await their monthly BarkBox as soon as I tell them it's been shipped. The treats are nutritious, I use some of them in my puppy training classes. Thor commandeers the toys but gradually lets his sister play with them. Most of them hold up very well, lasting for several months. For a heavy chewer like mine, this is a testament to their quality.

BarkBox response

Hey Barbara, Thor and Brinley! Thanks for being pups in the pack! We are so happy to hear that Barkbox day is the best day of the month for you guys and that the treats are working perfect for training classes! Thor sounds like quiet the giving pup with all of that sharing. If you need anything going forward please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help!

Original review: June 17, 2018

SALEM LOVES HER BARK BOXES THAT COME EVERY MONTH. She like all her toys and treats. Now that she has been upgraded to the super chewer everything is so much better. When she see her box she is so excited. We open and she picks out what toy she wants first then she will not get another for about a week. Keep up the good work.

BarkBox response

Hello Greg and Salem! Thanks for the great review. We love hearing that Salem is enjoying these boxes so much because we love sending them right to your door! If you or Salem need anything going forward please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Great customer service. My dog is so excited to see her box arrive every month. Product quality is great. I don't have to worry about any pieces coming off the toys that may become a hazard. She has skin allergies so I love that all the snack are safe for her to eat.

BarkBox response

Hey Blanca and pack! Thanks so much for your kind words and great review! We are so happy to hear that you guys are loving the monthly boxes! We know that every pup is different so we try out best to cater to your pups needs wether it be with more durability or allergy options! Then in the meantime if there is anything that we might be able to help with please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 16, 2018 My dogs love the toys and the treats. Great value and the treats are all natural - no chemically treated rawhides. Very good quality and the themed boxes are so fun. I have 4 dogs and we get a box with 3 toys, one large chew treat and then usually 2 pouches of treats. I’ve even received recipes for treats to make at home.

One more plus - many of the toys contain toys within toys. For example - if they chew through the exterior then there is a tough chew ball underneath.

BarkBox response

Hey Dustie and pack! We are so happy to hear that you guys are loving every single toy and treat that comes in your boxes! That is our main goal when sending out those boxes monthly! Also we hope that you guys have put those recipes to good use. Additionally if you guys need more durability at any time we are happy to help out. Please just email us at Lindz@barkbox.com!

Original review: June 16, 2018

Remy and I have thoroughly enjoyed our subscription to BarkBox. When the products didn’t quite fit Remy’s wants/needs, the staff at BarkBox didn’t hesitate for a moment to help customize Remy’s box for her. If there was ever a mistake, they were already fixing it before I even noticed. Lastly, they even sent Remy a cake and party hat for her birthday that actually arrived ON her birthday! It was amazing and truly shows just how much they care about making their customers (with and without tails) happy!

BarkBox response

Hey Kelci and Remy! Thanks so much for being members of the pack and for the kind words. Nothing makes us happier than spoiling Remy and the pup parents in the pack to the best of our ability. We hope that Remy had a great birthday as well. Then in the meantime if there is anything else that we might be able to help with please let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I always tell people but they mostly don't like cost. If there was a fee sample box to show them. Also most my friends have 3 or four dogs so one box is not enough, I like it because even though I have a big dog l don't want to stuff home with treats. I like healthy ingredients.

BarkBox response

Hey Dale! Thanks so much for spreading the Barkbox love and for the feedback! We are so sorry to hear that the cost is not the perfect fit for some pups wanting to join the pack! We do always have wonderful promotions going on for new pups in the pack! Additionally we are always happy to help out in whatever way we can. Then since you have multiple pups and one box is not working out we would love to help customize your box or offer you our multi pup offer! Please just email us directly at Lindz@barkbox.com.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My dogs absolutely love BarkBox! My older dog knows the box now and just goes nuts when it is brought in the house. We have decided to leave it out in the garage until we are ready to have him "totally distracted" for a while. His little sister stands there for anything that comes flying her way and grabs it and runs!! It is too cute!! I have to say that BarkBox is really enjoyment for the whole family as their Mom and Dad, my husband and I, love watching the dogs playing with the toys and playing tug with each other. The majority of the time they love the treats that come and I just cannot say how nice everyone at BarkBox has been.

At one point I was going to cancel because my older dog was just ripping the toys up in minutes and it wasn't worth it but they suggested we put him into the "heavy chewer" category, which has worked out great!! I cannot say enough good things about BarkBox and the people they have working for them are the best in the world!!! I would also mention, one of our UPS drivers would toot his horn when he dropped off the BarkBox and we would just laugh!!

BarkBox response

Hey Linda and pack! First off thanks so much for the amazing words and review. We are so happy to hear that it's such a special day in your house monthly. Honestly nothing is better than watching your pups turn into puppies again over those toys and treats. Then we are so happy to hear that the more durable toys are working out for you guys! It also sounds like you guys have an amazing relationship with that delivery driver! We lover everything about this. In the future if you guys need anything else please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The customer service is wonderful! Dimitri has a bad reaction to pig ears, and after I let them know not to send any more, they were so kind about it, they sent a replacement chew! They really do pay attention to my dog’s needs.

BarkBox response

Hey Dawn and Dimitri! We are so sad to hear about the reaction with him. Our main mission is to make sure that your pup is happy and healthy. So we are so sorry that, that wasn't the experience you both had at that time. We are also now able to customize our monthly boxes to fit your pups wants and needs more if that might help! If this is something you guys might want to do going forward please email us directly at Lindz@barkbox.com!

Original review: June 16, 2018

When the mail lady brings Moose his BarkBox, he goes crazy and can't wait to get into it. He loves getting it and seeing what is inside. Moose gives it 2 paws up! I love it because of the quality and seeing Moose happy.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I absolutely love the products and experience we have had with BarkBox. The products are high quality and my dog is a firm believer. He loves his snacks and they are made of high quality ingredients that never upset his stomach. I will always encourage people to order these for their furry babies.

BarkBox response

Hey there Deb and pack! We are so happy to hear that you guys are loving your monthly goodies! Thanks for letting us spoil you guys monthly! We promise we will keep the goodies coming for as long as you would like. Then if you need anything going forward please just let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Each month brings healthy treats and toys for our three furry babies. TJ, our oldest, is just in it for the food! While the two youngest love the toys. My wife digs the themed box we get each month. And I love the great price!

BarkBox response

Hey Tom and pack! We are so happy to have you guys in the pack and to hear that the boxes are working out for everyone. The pups love the surprises, the wife loves the cute themes and you can't beat the price or having it delivered right to your door! If you need anything going forward please don't hesitate to let us know. We are always happy to help at any time.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love Bark Box and look forward to it coming each month. My dogs enjoy all of the toys and the treats are of the highest quality. The price is amazing considering how much you are getting each month. I also enjoy how each box has a theme to it. My teenage daughter has even claimed some of the toys for herself since they are so nice.

BarkBox response

Hello Sandra and pack! Thanks so much for being pups in the pack and for letting us spoil those lucky pups in your life. We do our best to cater to your pups needs and to fit your budget as well because we know that it can be a tough act! Then if you need anything else going forward please let us know. We are always happy to help at any time!

Original review: June 15, 2018

BarkBox is simply incredible. Customer service is top notch. Boxes are awesome! Trixie loves them. We have recommended to many friends. Have bought from BarkShop as well. The monthly cost is reasonable and in line with the amount of items within each box.

BarkBox response

Hey Brett! Thanks so much for your kind words and review. We are so happy to hear that you and your pack are enjoying the monthly boxes and Barkshop! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you ever need anything in the future. We are always happy to help.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I tell everyone I know that BarkBox is the best thing I have ever done for my babies. Every time I go shopping my dogs would get a toy that they would tear up in a few days. They love their box when it comes in. The toys are made so much better. It is rare that they tear up these special toys. The themes are fun for us all. Love love love.

BarkBox response

Thanks so much for the great review Sharon! We are so happy to hear that you are loving the themes and that the toys are lasting. Thanks for being pups in the pack! If you need any help at any time please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have 8 dogs and when we BarkBox it was a blessing. The staff is very helpful with finding exactly what we need for our boys. The toys and treats are enjoyed by all and the boys know when the box arrives… We attempted to go to the super chewer but they did not like those as well as the other toys. Staff is pleasant and accommodating.

BarkBox expert review by ConsumerAffairs

BarkBox is a subscription service for all-natural treats and toys. You sign up for a plan and receive a themed BarkBox every month based on the size of dog you have. BarkBox launched in 2012 as part of BARK, an online pet treat and toy store.

• Personalized box: When you sign up for BarkBox, you choose plans based on the size of your dog. BarkBox has surprises for three different dog sizes: small, up to 20 pounds; medium, 20-50 pounds; and large, 50 pounds or more.

• Package contents: Each package includes at least two toys, two bags of all-natural treats and a chew. Contents change every month, so your dog won’t get the same thing twice.

• Fun themed packages: Each BarkBox comes with a fun theme like Sniffin’ Safari, Chewrassic Park and New York City. The BarkBox theme is a different surprise every month, ensuring that your dog never gets bored.

• Free replacement: If your pup doesn’t like an item they got, BarkBox will send your dog a replacement toy for free. This way, you never have to pay for a toy your dog doesn’t use.

• Subscription options: BarkBox costs $29 per month if you pay on a monthly basis. However, you can pay in advance to save money. Paying for six months at a time costs $25 per box, and paying for a full year costs $21 per month.

• Best for: owners and dogs who like surprises every month.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs