2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

BOTTOM LINE

BarkBox provides a fun monthly subscription box with treats and toys for your dog. While you can’t cancel a subscription early, there is a month-to-month option available.

PROS

• Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size

CONS

• Subscriptions renew automatically

Top BarkBox Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Mabel our pup loves her BarkBox. She always knows when a package is for her and gets so excited when she sees it! We love the variety of treats as well as the “allergy” option to prevent her from receiving treats she’s allergic to.

My dog absolutely loves all of the treats they send out. I’ve been having trouble with her breaking all of the toys however I just spoke with a representative [and] they are also going to send out new toys to replace the ones that my dog chewed up. Excellent!

What is BarkBox, and how does it work?

BarkBox is a monthly toy and treat subscription box for your dog. You can purchase a 12-month, six-month or month-to-month subscription plan, and BarkBox delivers a new box straight to your door each month.

When you set up your subscription, you have an opportunity to let the company know your dog's size so you receive correctly sized toys. You can also alert BarkBox to any allergies your dog has to ensure the company sends appropriate treats.

What comes in a BarkBox?

Each BarkBox includes two toys, two bags of treats and one chew. You can add an extra toy to your box for $9 more each month. BarkBoxes are centered on a new theme each month — past themes include Chewrassic Bark, New York City, an ’80s-themed Throwback Thursday box and a Grinch-themed Christmas box.

barkbox

BarkBox toys: BarkBox's in-house designers plan out its line of brand-exclusive toys. The toys may include stuffing, squeakers or crinkle material.

BarkBox treats: BarkBox develops and makes its treats and chews in the U.S. with high-quality ingredients. You can customize your box to exclude any ingredients your pup may be allergic to, like chicken, turkey or beef.

How much is BarkBox?

BarkBox subscriptions start at $22 a month, but the price varies depending on the length of the contract. Your dog’s size does not affect BarkBox’s prices.

SubscriptionMonthly Price
12-month$22
6-month$25
Month-to-month$29

BarkBox FAQ

Is there a toys-only BarkBox?
BarkBox does offer all-toys and all-treats boxes. You have the option to completely tailor your box to whatever best fits your pup.
What is Super Chewer by BarkBox?
Super Chewer is a monthly subscription box for dogs who are tough on toys. Just like the original BarkBox, each box contains a mix of toys and treats, but each toy is designed for dogs with heavy chewing tendencies. Super Chewer subscriptions are slightly more expensive than standard BarkBox subscriptions.
Are BarkBox treats OK for dogs with allergies?
At sign-up, you can indicate if your dog has a common food allergy, like chicken, turkey or beef. If your dog has a less common allergy, you can contact BarkBox to ask about creating a custom box.
How do I cancel BarkBox?
If you sign up for a multiple-month subscription plan, you are unable to cancel early. However, you can turn off auto-renewal at any time and your boxes will be canceled after your current subscription plan has ended.

Is BarkBox worth it?

If you regularly spend money on treats and toys for your dog, we think BarkBox is worth it. The subscription plan ensures your beloved pet gets a new batch of toys each month and makes it simple for you by delivering the goodies straight to your door. The cost of the box is less than the value of the items, so BarkBox helps you save money and time on toys and treats.

BarkBox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Original review: April 10, 2020

We got a beagle/bluetick mix in April of 2019, and found out he was a toy destroyer! He LOVES toys (especially stuffed ones) but being a baby he would destroy them and then try to eat the skins. Nothing was working and he was becoming bored. I kept seeing BarkBox on Facebook and they were promoting a pigs-butt. I got online to investigate and started a chat session with a customer service representative. I had already placed a subscription order for a Classic Barkbox, and found out they had a Super Chewer's version (insert huge smiley face!!).

The customer service rep. explained what it was and changed my subscription so that we would get the Super Chewer box monthly. We chose a 1yr subscription. So far the toys have been very durable. They are heavy and well made and he has not destroyed a single one - although he plays with them a LOT. The treats are aplenty! We share those with our senior Chihuahua who loves them too.

We have recommended the service to several of our friends who complain of the same issues of toy destruction. My only wish is that at some point they would find a nondestructible plushie (stuffed toy?). No squeaky required, just something he could carry around and not tear apart because he is in heaven whenever he has a new "baby". Benjin looks forward to his "mail" monthly and he knows the box that arrives is for him and his sister Paris!!! Thanks BarkBox for making my kids happy!

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My pups and I love BarkBox! Anytime I have ever had a question or concern I get an email back almost immediately. Every box my dogs have ever gotten is good quality and well worth it! They go the extra mile and really care about their customers! I had three dogs and one of them was a major chewer. I upgraded to Super Chewer. He loved it! Unfortunately he passed away, I reached out to them asking to downgrade back to BarkBox cause my two other dogs didn’t need the heavy duty toys and they did it no problem and were very thoughtful, they even sent a few extra toys for my other two pups when I told them the news. I am very impressed with the customer care. My pups love their BarkBoxes!

BarkBox response

Hey Kayla! Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback! We at BARK are sorry to hear about the passing of your pup but we are so happy to hear you and your pack has had a fun experience with BarkBox! Our goal is make sure you and your pups are happy and well taken care of! Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is ever anything we can do to make your BarkBox day even better!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My three small elderly dogs love their boxes! My 13+ yr old chihuahua, Newman, was especially fond of the September 2018 Fluffafel toy and carried those little falafel balls everywhere. Newman was down to one and it’s now lost its squeaker! Is there any way to contact BarkBox to get a replacement toy or box from a discontinued line? I really want to get the dog new falafels since it’s one of the few joys in his sunset years.

BarkBox response

Hi there! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are so happy to hear that your pups are loving their BarkBoxes! We love that Newman found a favorite but sorry to hear it has lost it's squeaker! We'd love to keep Newman's tail wagging as long as possible so we'll be sending a direct email to help get this taken care of as soon as possible! :)

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Let me start off by saying I have a full pack here. Complete with 4 dogs. That’s right. Four, gorgeous, big, psychotic, VERY spoiled, energizer-bunny-like dogs. (Two huskies and two Belgian Malinois to give you a better idea.) Now to be honest- I was skeptical about BarkBox. I knew people that had little dogs, labs and collies that were getting them... but my four? Well, they’re monsters. Lol. I couldn’t imagine that this would be a good fit so I brushed it off. I was spending a better part of $120-150 every TWO weeks on toys. And our huskies looove stuffed toys.... so I was finding fluff everywhere. Every day. It was never ending. So, begrudgingly, I reconsidered BarkBox. I ran into a bit of an issue after I ordered, because I found out about the Super Chewers BarkBox. So I called and was blown away at how extremely accommodating their customer service reps are!!

My first box had already been shipped out (They’re quick, people!) so there was nothing she could do there, but she offered to send me out a couple Super Chewers toys to hold us over until our next box free of charge!! SO FAR- Our BarkBox came & My dogs liked all the treats but surprisingly LOVED all the toys! I was impressed, not only were they given 3 toys, but there’re toys INSIDE of toys. So after they ripped them open, there was still something to play with! They lasted a good while, but they’re no match for this pack! We’re looking forward to our Super Chewer box. Overall, I’m very happy with my experience so far!

BarkBox response

Hi Crystal! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are thrilled to hear you and your rambunctious pack are enjoying your experience so far! I'm so excited for your pups to receive their first Super Chewer box and I hope they love it as much as my own pup does! If any concerns ever come up or any items are destroyed too quickly, please let us know! We're always happy to send a replacement per our Scout's Honor guarantee and we also have many customization options to ensure your pack is receiving the best assortment of goodies possible! Please give all those special fur babies some extra belly rubs from all of us here at BARK!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I have been getting the Barkbox for my Golden Retriever for a little over a year now and he is IN LOVE with his box. He knows every month when it comes in the mail and loses it! I put the box down for him to go through it and it's as happy as he could be. Every month we get two bags of treats, a bone, and at least two toys. He did happen to destroy one toy instantly when we got it. So I reached out to the customer service department and they sent him a brand new toy that was a little better for hard chewers. I highly recommend trying the subscription out if your dog enjoys toys and cookies.

BarkBox response

Hi Shelby and Gibby! Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you and your pup are enjoying the monthly goodies! Nothing makes us happier than to have the chance to spoil the special pups in our pack! If you and Gibby ever want to change up the contents in your box, we would be happy to go over our customization options with you! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have questions or concerns! Pass some extra belly rubs along to Gibby from all of us here at BARK!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 22, 2020

Hi, I just want to say that I didn't realize there was a "zero cancellation" policy with this service. Honestly, very few companies have these stringent terms. If a company wants to enforce these stringent guidelines there should be a huge WARNING box that pops up when the consumer is signing up warning them that they cannot cancel the membership. I don't remember any such warning or "fine print" as they say when I signed up. Now that we have received the box (which is full of toys my dog would never play with), I find I am bound by these stringent terms. Buyer Beware, you are entering into a strict contract with this company!!

BarkBox response

Hi Lorinne! Thank you so much for taking time to share your feedback about your experience. We are so sorry to hear you've had trouble cancelling. We also apologize if the box you received was not the best fit for your special pup. This certainly isn't the type of experience we wish to provide here at BARK and we want to make this right for you and your pack! Please look out for a direct message from our team!

Original review: May 20, 2020

Every time Piper's bark box is dropped off she is waiting by the door to see what she got for the month and she is never disappointed. The one time she did chew through a toy but BarkBox was kind enough to send us a tougher toy for her as a replacement! Highly recommended to get your dog subscribed!

Original review: May 18, 2020

What’s not to love about the BarkBox experience. The package that has a little message on the cardboard box, the themes, the treats, the toys, & most of all the excitement that Zeppelin gets knowing his BarkBox has arrived. The only thing bad is he thinks that every box that comes to the house should be his????

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have a super chewer 1 year old chocolate lab that has eaten a lot of my furniture! Ugh! But these Bark Box toys she can’t destroy. When she sees me open the box she goes nuts! Would recommend for any aggressive chewer. Love them!

Original review: April 20, 2020

At first I really enjoyed the experience. The theme behind each boxes is really well thought of. But then toys were missing and they skipped 3 months of my membership due to issues with the borders. I was surprised last week with a charge of 720$ on my credit card for a new subscription which they didn't bother emailing about.... I was gracefully told that I was the one who did not read the fine line when I did my subscription last year.

After talking with a customer service associate they did not proceed with a full refund stating the April box was already labelled..even though it wasn't shipped yet. It was only shipped 7 days after ...very poor customer experience. I will have to email again since the refund is only of 618$... which means my April box has cost me 102$. Which is insane!

BarkBox response

Hi Vanessa! We're truly sorry that your subscription's auto-renewal caught you off guard, and apologize for the subpar experience it led to. We want to do what we can to make this right for you and your pack right away. Please be on the look out for a direct message from our team so we can help further!

BarkBox Company Information