2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.53/5

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: April 1, 2021

My 2 yr old cat has been eating Greenies for almost a year and he loves them. BUT recently I had bought 2 lg bags from one of the big box stores and I had a small bag from the local grocery store. large bags were salmon flavor and catnip flavor dental treats and the small bag was also salmon flavor dental treats. All bags had more than a year before expiry date. I gave my cat some of one of the lg bags and he threw up 20min later. I didn't think it was the treats as he had not reacted to them like this before so next day I gave him some of same bag and he threw up again within 20 min. So the following day I opened the other big bag and gave him figuring it may be one bad bag and he threw up again! So then next day I gave him some from the small bag I had got at the grocery store and he threw those up also within 20 min!!! That's 3 different bags from 2 different stores!!!

Clearly these treats are contaminated with something. After reading other reviews I see I'm lucky he was able to throw them up and is OK. Seems many pet owners weren't as lucky. WHAT A HORRID COMPANY TO SELL FOOD THAT MAKES OUR PETS SICK. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE THESE AGAIN NOR ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS MADE BY Mars Petcare US. I hope someone brings a class action lawsuit against them...it's the very least they deserve!

Original review: March 21, 2021

Hello,

As Many other pet owners, we experienced a loss of one of our beloved cats (superstition preclude using our cat's names). Her sister, is fairing well (fingers crossed) after treatment and special foods/medicines to arrest the damage from the Greenies Cat treats. We were perplexed when both of our cats showed symptoms of lack of lack of elimination, no interest in food, vomiting, falling, weakness, lack of motor control, and in one case coma and death within a period of 1 and 1/2 days. The cat that passed away had several of the treats. We were not able to save her and she died in my daughter's arms. We were able to get her sister to the vet. We found out later that there was an emergency weekend. Vet too late to save one of our cats, but, we were able to get our other cat treated (enema) and hydrated along with a wellness check. We now are feeding her special diet for kidney support and hydrated for the rest of her life.

We did not know at first that Greenies was the cause of this sudden ordeal until a few days later after the Vet when we gave her sister the Greenies again and she started to vomit and fall down within 2 hours of eating them. Luckily she is a picky eater and only had one of the treats. We took her immediately to the Vet again and after rehydration and wellness check we were able to have her back home. However, she is not the same after the Greenies.

One of the reasons that I am also writing this is to speak about the cruel and representative that we spoke to when alerting her of the Greenies Company toxicity. Her lack of concern as well as Only invested in protecting the company was absolutely obscene. Her focus was try and find out what we did wrong to have our little furbaby die! She never asked for samples to be sent to the company, etc, only the barcode numbers (granted this is important and expected) but she tried to focus on the expiration date (Dec 2021) and any other feature that took the attention away from the Greenies as the cause concern.

In this format, I have not listed the totality of the symptoms of or ladies here as I did in the call. I had thought, naively so, that if I inform the company, there would be concern to save other Pet owners this kind of sadness and ordeal. I started the call with the fact that one of our cats have died and I am requesting that the company recall the treats.

This may have been a little assertive, but, a life was lost over the treats. I told her that this was my Only concern, that other pet cat owners not have to experience what we had with the loss of our beloved cat. Greenies has had recalls before for dogs, so, she her lack of real concern in this issue was alarming. This representative's focus on saving the Greenies company After Greenies has has had multiple recalls for dog food was telling. However, there has been None for cats. Even after multiple cat owners have contacted the company with similar symptoms and concerns.

Thus far, this is the only forum that even alerts cat owners that there is a toxic substance or processing in Greenies that is killing cats that are family for many of us. And, a review of this site will show that this has happened for Several Years now! This company should no longer be making any kind of pet food as it is evident that they do not know how to make it safe and after so many incidents with pet deaths and comprised heath.

On a positive note: There is a wonderful warning system for pet owners that alerts when there are recalls: Dave at Petful. He provides alerts but, as mentioned earlier none of these cat treats have been recalled by the Greenies company. And, if there is damage for your cat, there are products that can assist in strengthening the kidneys as well as pet rehydration products after a Vet visit. Thank you and Stay Safe and Blessed!

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

My dog started having full body seizures out of nowhere. I was feeding her Greenies dental bones, for her teeth, for about 5-6 months total. She had no issues with them until about 2-3 months into me feeding them to her. But I had no idea that these were the cause. I took her to the vet numerous times trying to find out what was wrong with her. They never figured it out, they only gave me epilepsy medication that made her hungry all the time.

One day I was out and the box of greenies were on the counter, she got into the full box and had 12 seizures in one day. I couldn’t see her suffer anymore as I thought I had tried everything. So at 5 years old I had to put her down. It breaks my heart knowing if I had just stopped feeding my dog these, that she still might have been here. I don’t understand how this company has not gotten more publicity on this. It’s horrible to see all these reviews and still nothing has been done to stop them from marketing these awful treats. These are our children, and this company obviously does not care about what they’re putting in their food.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Our 6 lb pomchi and 11 lb are both sick after just 1 serving. Gave it to them yesterday noon and next day the Pomchi hasn’t eaten all day, you can hear her stomach is upset and she has been lethargic and sleeping whole time. The pomeranian ate today but has constant diarrhea and his stomach is churning. These dogs are both 3 yrs old and rarely have dietary issues. The Greenies are in the garbage where they belong.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

This happened a couple of years ago but at the time I didn't write a review: I purchased Greenies off of Amazon because I wanted to be a better dog mom and take care of my corgi/ dachshund mixes bad breath and dental care. I never paid attention to my dog's stools as we had a large forested yard and because he is a private sort of fellow. However...maybe 3 or 4 days in after starting giving him Greenies I came home from work and... my dog did not meet me at the door. Instead I called out to him and he slowly and shakily made his way from another room. I knew he was sick. I picked him up... he yelped. He whimpered. Completely lethargic.

I took him to the vet the next morning realizing that he was yelping in his sleep and that he was not getting better. The vet put him on fluids. And took x-rays saying there was an obstruction/ blockage. Though they wanted to operate we waited a day and x-rated again. The blockage had moved/ was smaller. The only thing that had changed was the Greenies in his diets. I looked up reviews and found this website.

They cleared him to come home. Vet bill over 1500 dollars and no surgery. I kid you not; I nursed my dog back to health for over a month before he was his old self again. He couldn't poop. He would try for 15 minutes at a time straining. He remained lethargic. He couldn't run. He could barely stand. He just shakily made his way everywhere.

I force-fed him pumpkin and coconut oil and yogurt to get him to poop. I forced him to drink water by taking him in the shower with me - it made him have to lick the droplets off of his face. My entire family was certain he was going to die... and then weeks later maybe even two months... he was recognizable as he had been. My best friend was so close to dying. Why is there not a class-action lawsuit against this company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

The diarrhea began when I starting giving Greenies to my 10 pound, Chinese Crested. Greenies are the only thing that changed in her diet so I'm positive the Greenies caused her diarrhea. It took me over 2 weeks to finally get rid of her diarrhea and to finally get a solid stool. Once the diarrhea started, I immediately stop giving her Greenie. I started feeding her 93% lean turkey (cooked and then rinsed), frozen and thawed green peas, 1 tsp, 100% pure pumpkin (must be 100%, pure pumpkin) and 1/2 tsp slippery elm. I mixed all ingredients together and fed her this diet 2 x day for 2 - 3 weeks. Once she was on this special diet for 3 days, I began adding a very small amount of Purina Pro Plan For Sensitive Stomachs to her turkey, peas, pumpkin and slippery elm on the 4th day..

Finally after close to 3 weeks, I was no longer giving her the turkey and peas. I continued giving her slippery elm for about another week, gradually reducing the amount I was giving her every day. Once diarrhea is under control, stop giving slippery elm. I still give her pumpkin every day which is a good sources of nutrients and fiber. 100% pure pumpkin will forever be a part of her daily diet. Just a side note on what slippery is used to treat: In the gastrointestinal tract, slippery elm acts directly.

Think of it as a natural ** (** itself should be used with caution because it contains salicylate, a.k.a. ** and should be used only in moderation for a day or two). Slippery elm’s mucilage content coats, soothes, and lubricates the mucus membranes lining the digestive tract. It is high in fiber, and so helps normalize intestinal action; it can be used to relieve both diarrhea and constipation. The diarrhea has been a real pain and took a while to to finally get it under control. Patience is definitely required. Glad to say, my dog is now doing great, no more diarrhea and NO MORE GREENIES.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I have given my dog Greenies for years and really didn’t notice any adverse effects till a couple of months ago. The first sign of trouble was when he had diarrhea in the house, he never has done this before. This persisted for a few days so I took him to my veterinarian and he was placed on an antibiotic and I gave him boiled chicken and rice till his tummy settled, no treats. Fast forward one week I start to give him his regular food and a few treats...no greenies, all is well.

First day he gets a greenie and that night the diarrhea starts again, now with blood and mucous. Back to chicken rice and no treats. Good again till two weeks later gets his first greenie and it starts again. I thought maybe he had just developed an intolerance to them so knowing my brothers dog also liked greenies Gave them to him with the information about the trouble my dog had. First night his dog has diarrhea with mucous. I will never give my pets any greenie products again. I think there must be a quality control issue with the company, hope they get this resolved before something much worse happens to someone’s beloved pet.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We got the Greenies dental chews for our dog - staffy x. After the first stick, he developed very loose bowels, and after the second - he went to the toilet three times inside (which he never does) with some blood seen in the stools. His stomach is very distended and he has been laying down looking like he is in constant pain. Nothing else has changed - apart from these green nasties! DO NOT BUY, this product should be taken off the market!

Original review: May 25, 2020

My one and a half year old Golden Retriever has been having bouts of severe diarrhea off and on for around 6 months. I’ve had her to the vet several times, told the vet exactly what I feed her and she was stumped, with tests being negative and exam normal. Was told to put her on Hills Science Diet I/D. My sweet girl has been on this diet several times. Diarrhea would stop, I’d then go back to her premium food for dinner and a Greenies for lunch, and the diarrhea would start again in 1-2 days. Yesterday, the diarrhea was worse than ever! Never did I suspect her being ill was due to the Greenies. After reading your reviews, I realized my poor girl is suffering from being fed a bone I thought was healthy. I’m deeply saddened to learn of several of you losing your pets to this highly toxic treat.

In retrospect, thanks to all of you, I now know why my other dear Golden (she passed a year ago) was in distress when on medication. She refused Greenies Dental Chews, but liked having her meds in a pill pocket (made by the same company). Her lethargy, bloating and moaning could’ve been avoided had the vet told me about the serious and/or fatal effects of pill pockets. Perhaps we can get these products off the market eventually by getting our vets to listen to us and take us seriously. In the meantime, may our experiences save a cat or dog’s life, I know I’m extremely indebted to all of you for saving my precious girl. Thank you!

Original review: April 14, 2020

I purchased a bag of Greenies for my German Shepherd. I gave him a sample from the vets office after he’d had his teeth cleaned; he was only about 5 years old. One night I gave him a full size large breed chew- he wolfs everything down - and the next night he started looking a little too round in his abdomen. I’d only seen this once before and I was helpless to do anything but not for lack of trying. Living 20 minutes from vet’s office and the time it would take to get the vet to her office, my dog started whining and crying. It seemed like a long time; I frantically tried everything to reverse his decline even pouring ** down his throat. In the end, all I could do was cry and hold him. I’m crying as I write this despite this having happened nearly a year ago. Use this product at your own peril. I cannot convey the extent of my emotional pain and the anger I have towards this company.

Greenies author review by ConsumerAffairs

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team