4.0/5 (525 ratings)
Find a Dog Treats partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Greenies

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: April 14, 2022

Gave my cats some Greenies after I got back from vacation. I’ll admit I probably gave them too many. One cat vomited soon after and the other vomited throughout the next day. It got to a point she was only vomiting saliva. She hasn’t eaten much today either. I saw the other reports on Greenies and felt it wound irresponsible not to share my experience.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I researched the best dental chews for dogs. Numerous sites rated greening their top choice. So about 5 years ago I changed my dog over to them. I am sorry to say they turned out to be the worst!!! I gradually notice she stopped chewing her toys and swallowed her food hole. Noticed the Greenies being so soft built up on her teeth cause severe plaque and tarter. Took her to the Vet today only to have all her teeth removed except 4. If I could get a lawyer pro bono I would sue for false advertising. If this has happened to my dog how many other have they ruined???

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Purchased Feline Greenies dental treats in both chicken and catnip flavour. Gave our two cats about 4-6 each of the chicken flavour yesterday - they loved it. Great, supposed to be a healthy treat right. A few hours later our 9 month old had terrible diarrhea and he has been fairly lethargic and barely eating since and our 13 year old vomited. The only thing different was the greenies so I searched and found all the other reviews here. I am appalled to learn this is an ongoing issue that has made so many pets sick and in some cases resulted in their death! And they are still selling them! I'm furious that this company couldn't give a ** about our pet's health. Needless to say the greenies RUBBISH will be going in the bin where it belongs as it is not fit for consumption but I really hope that's the end of the issue for my cats and they recover quickly. :(.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I fed both my pups Greenies, and they’ve been having awful diarrhea the past 4 days. My pups were both totally healthy before and after 1 time of eating the treats, they’re just in bad shape. They threw up the first night, and the next morning, they both had uncontrollable diarrhea, loss of appetite, and are lethargic. Every night they both need to go out at 3am and 5am, and if I don’t take them out in time, they have accidents which NEVER happens. Please shy away from this product.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

On 8/20/21, I bought a brand new bag of Peanut Butter Capsule Pill Pockets Greenies. I gave one to one dog and she had very explosive diarrhea and then vomited. She has been at the ER vet numerous times and had fecal tests, blood tests and X-rays. The X-rays revealed tons of gastritis in the intestines. She was placed on **, **, **, ** and nothing worked. I was getting ready to drive to a veterinary university hospital when I realized that It could be the Greenies. I looked online and found similar complaints. I called the vet and they agreed it finally was making sense. I strongly plead with the manufacturer to PLEASE investigate the issue.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Actually I had given one dog Greenies many times…but then we had bloody diarrhea. Then my other dog got bloody diarrhea. Several trips to the vet and significant $$$$ and I couldn’t figure out the cause. Started a process of elimination. I couldn’t imagine a product I had given before, that my vet sold at one time being the cause. When I eliminated the greenies the diarrhea stopped. I am pretty surprised with all of these very bad reviews the product is still on the market. I hope this helps get a response from the company.

Original review: July 28, 2021

8 days ago my cat urinated in my bed twice in the middle of the night. The night before I fed him a Greenies treat while going to bed. I bought the treats two months prior for the first time and had been infrequently giving them to him. I took him to the vet and dropped him off for the day until they could get urine. Everything came back normal, except that his urine was dilute. The vet mentioned Kidney Failure being a possibility, and I requested blood work to be done. He came back with all the classic values of Kidney Failure.

I had blood work done in the Fall of 2019 after a concerning incident- and again in April of 2020 (just over a year ago). His values on both tests were in the normal range. Nothing changed about my cat's diet in that time frame. I tried using a different cat litter at the time of buying the Greenies and continued it up until 8 days ago. In the two weeks leading up to the emergency vet trip, I noticed overall urine increasing in the litter box (I have two cats). It was difficult to gauge using the newer litter, so I paid it no mind and wanted to see what happened back on the clumping litter. I had already bought it and replaced it after the emergency incident- he is now urinating at least a week's worth (6"x6"x4" clumped) over the course of 24-48 hours.

He continues to have no appetite. I have been having to wet canned food down significantly, over and over again in order to get him to ingest anything. He won't touch his normal diet, which is a very high quality food he has eaten for years. I am dismayed to read that there may be a similar connection for other owners, and I'm afraid that it might be too late for me to do anything about it if this is the cause. The onset of this was relatively rapid for me to believe it's CKD. His values on Monday put him at stage 3 on the IRIS scale, but the vet didn't think he should be acting this sick with the values he was at. We go back in 2 days for a second round of testing and I plan to ask for more to be done diagnostically.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I got a bag of these for hairball control. I had never tried them before. A week later I gave her 4 treats in the morning and she threw them up. Then in the afternoon she started throwing up a green liquid and foam all night long for about 12 hours and was very sick. It was like she had been poisoned and there was nothing else she could have gotten into. She got sick at least ten or more times. I had to take her to the emergency vet hospital. They did blood work on her and the only thing wrong was her blood sugar was a little high due to the stress. They gave her fluids Intravenously as she was severely dehydrated and anti nausea medication. They gave her pills for the nausea and an appetite stimulant to take home. Cost me $430.

I was afraid she was severely sick or going to die and did not get any sleep for over 24 hours. These were the only thing that could have caused this to happen as she had never been sick like this before. Plus she was throwing up a green liquid bile and foam which is the color of the Greenies. She is feeling better now but was not eating much or feeling good for several days. I feel terrible that I gave her these with the intention they were good for her. I am also going to contact the company and want to warn others not to buy these. I may look into getting these tested for contaminants.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I have been using GREENIES Grain free now for two weeks and my dog is now so sick he has bloody diarrhea and is suffering so much all he does is drink water and poop.. I will NEVER use this product EVER.. How can this make him so ill, I am taking him to the vet today. I hope he will survive as he is so young.. Please consider your pet's life should you buy this stuff.. I love my dog so much..

Original review: July 2, 2021

I reached out twice already in two years to let Greenies know as a loyal long time customer how I loved their products even when I had a bad stale batch purchased from my local state brothers market. I went out of my way to try a different batch from my local Target which were more fresh! My dogs love it so now I shop there for chews. But, their customer service rep end did not compensate or coupon or help in any way to alleviate the situation. Coming from 10 years in customer service I couldn’t believe this is how they treat their customers with a complaint and compliment for loyalty. Truly disappointed!

Greenies author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

Greenies Company Information