2.14/5

243 Greenies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I board dogs in my home. These treats are great for some dogs who will chew on them. My own dog swallows them whole. They are good for the teeth. The cost is too high even on sale. I spend $80 a 25 pound bag of dog food (that’s high end) and care greatly about my dog's health and diet. I buy my dog a bark box of toys and treats for $20 a month. I only bought my dog some pumpkin Greenies because they were clearanced. Nothing can take the place of a toothbrush and dental cleanings.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My dogs loves Greenies. I would let everyone know it's good for their dogs. It's good for the bad breath and good for their health. I have 3 dogs and it could be very pricey to buy all the time. So I don't buy them very often.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 17, 2019

I have used these treats to try to help with dental problems but they are not a help at all. I have started to switch to raw bones and that seems much better for them. The teeth seem to get cleaned by the chewing and I don't see the brown build up on their teeth near the gum line. The vet said that the dry dog foods and treats like Greenies are not that great for your dog. I have started with the freeze dried treats and they like them and it really takes some time of chewing for them to eat them. Not like the Greenies that are gone in a minute.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Greenies is an adequate treat but like most pet products, overpriced. I don't think there is anything outstanding about the treats. My dog likes them, but he's a dog. He likes most things. The nutritional value is adequate.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I give my German Shepherd/Doberman mix the Grain-Free Greenies. She loves them even more than her other treats. They have a rather disagreeable odor, but the bag seals tightly, so it's a minor inconvenience. My only objection to this brand is that the cost is so high. If it were more affordable, I'd give her extra treats every day, but even purchasing at Chewy.com, she can only have one a day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: March 6, 2019

As of now my dogs are doing very well with Greenies. I have two dogs and both get Greenies because brushing their teeth is a hassle! They are well and really love these. They actually work to remove plaque in the experience I have had with both of my doggies. They had some pretty bad plaque build up and Greenies got rid of it. As of the reviews I'm reading here, Greenies are recommended for adult dogs, and they only just came out with a puppy and senior recipe. Be mindful of that when purchasing. Some dogs are sensitive to certain ingredients that they might not know about and when introducing a new food to your dogs ALWAYS in moderation because a new food will almost always cause an upset belly if too much is given. (I worked at Petco and you learn there that TRANSITION is KEY.)

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Greenies made my dog violently sick within days of first giving it to him. Within 24 hours of giving him his first two treats, he had diarrhea. The next day, he threw up what seemed to be his entire stomach. On the third day, he couldn't control his bowels. For the first time since house training him, he proceeded have the most foul-smelling diarrhea all over the bed he was sleeping on as he couldn't make it to the door. Hours later, he pooped raspberry jam-looking blood and that's when I decided he has to go to the vet. After thorough questioning and examination, our vet told us that it could have been something in the Greenies that caused irritation in his stomach. She prescribed us a week's worth of antibiotics. He's had a rough week as the medication has made him more tired than usual but he's back to his own ways now.

After expressing my frustrations online, Greenies replied back to direct message them. I did so and they actually did not even open my message until 5 days later. Finally, a Greenies rep finally contacted me over the phone an entire week later. She asked about the symptoms and what our vet had told us. She also asked for the bag's item code, which I could not provide her as we had obviously thrown the bag out a week prior. The rep on the phone told me they cannot do a thorough investigation without that and all she could offer me was a coupon for alternative dental sticks.

My frustration is that Greenies will most likely never publicly addresses this issue. There are over 200 complaints on Consumer Affairs alone and the rep could not even comment about that. For anyone reading this because their pet is experiencing something similar, I urge you to hang on to the package and contact Greenies yourself. If I see someone at the store hanging onto a Greenies pack, I'm not going to hesitate to tell them what happened to my dog.

This isn't a matter of 'quality control' as the company proclaims they do extensive testing. It wasn't a 'bad batch' that my dog and 200 other people's pets consumed that led to very similar experiences. Complaints like mine go back to 2005. The company needs to hold thorough tests on the ingredients that are used in their products, and at the very least, address the issues that so many consumers have been having for years.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Got the pill pockets from my vet. Convenient and the dogs like them. Have been using them for a while. My Austrian Shepherd developed nagging diarrhea. Similar to Reviewer "Janet of Sun City West, AZ", I narrowed the problem to the Pill Pockets. "Janet of Sun City West, AZ - reviewed Oct 28, 2018" suggested to file a class action suit. I am totally for that idea. I wish she can get the owners of the poor dog victims together and go for that. Nothing for monies, but to warn dog owners to avoid the pain of those little souls. If "Janet of Sun City West, AZ" can provide a channel, I will join in. She does need to provide us with an email address.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My cat suffers from constipation. As directed from my vet I can provide **. I usually soak with cat treats in water. Guess what? Feline Greenies would not dissolve in water. This lead me to believe the same reaction in his digestive system. It does not break down, and could create blockage and constipation. Will limit his treats. But still want to clean his teeth.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I adopted a Catahoula Mix puppy about two months ago and as a first time pup mom, I went above and beyond with bedding, food, clothes and even dental hygiene. A few days into the adoption, I notice she has diarrhea with blood and mucus. So I take her to the vet, they prescribe antibiotics and send us on our way. However, the diarrhea did not seem to fully go away so I try mixing white rice with her high quality dog food, I also take away all treats and even her toys. I then begin to think maybe she is still trying to adjust to her new home and her stomach needs more time.

After weeks of cooking white rice and mixing it with her high quality dog food, the diarrhea finally went away and her poop was normal again. Up until this morning when I hear her crying at 12 am in her crate to go outside. As soon as she steps outside, there was an explosion of diarrhea. So much so that she even began wiping her bottom on the grass. The only thing I've done differently since ridding her of diarrhea the first time was give her a Greenie treat yesterday. Never again will I put her through this. She had already gone outside three times this morning to poop diarrhea. Now I have to put her back on the white rice and Blue Buffalo diet until her symptoms improve.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Not sure why, but the tuna flavor made my cat violently ill. The treats made her vomit. She did so every 2 hours, eventually throwing up even water, bile and dry heaving. She also had diarrhea. She lost significant weight and needed to go on IV because of dehydration. Greenies' suggestion was that she doesn’t do well with tuna flavouring and to stop feeding them to her. Well already did that. If your pet gets sick, consider the treats. Your pet could be allergic to the ingredients, or something in the product may not agree with it. This almost cost me my cat, and did cost me hundreds of dollars.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have two Yorkshire Terriers, one male and the other is female. My girl didn’t like the taste of her vitamin and I thought I would try giving them to her in a Pill Pocket. Using a very small piece of the peanut butter flavored Pill Pocket each morning with her vitamin for eight days straight nearly KILLED my baby girl. Vomiting and diarrhea that was full of blood everywhere. Emergency Vet trip where she was placed on IVs, antibiotic injections, nausea medication, xrays of her abdomen along with blood work showing Pancreatitis. Prognosis was grim. All of this because of a Pill Pocket that’s supposed to aide in giving medication. After four weeks of antibiotics, Rx food and fluids she has slowly recovered and seems back to her usual loving, playful self. NEVER will I EVER give another Greenies product to my babies. And yes, they are loved and pampered as if they were my very own children. GREENIES - You should be OUT OF BUSINESS!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Our dog is now 9 years old and we’ve used Greenies for several years without issue. Earlier this year, she got very ill and started to rapidly lose weight. After two visits to the vet, we still had no idea what was causing this issue and were preparing for the worst. We never suspected these treats were the cause until we eliminated every other option by process of elimination. We were devastated that we ever gave her these treats. Since we stopped giving her the treats she has steadily improved. We will never trust any product from this company ever again. I implore anyone reading this message to never use this product as it poses a serious (and apparently undetectable by a veterinarian) risk to your pet.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Never again, Greenies. NEVER. My two-year-old lab shepherd mix has been sick with diarrhea for three days after her first dental chew from Greenies. I didn't make the connection until I gave her a second one and soon after, she was crying at the door with an explosive bloody bottom. I'm so furious. I hope other pet owners see these reviews before they subject their dogs to that ** poison.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Our 5 lb. chihuahua has never had a stomach issue in the 2 years we have had her, she has an iron stomach. I purchased some Greenies Teenies, to help with her dental care. After a couple treats, spread out over several days, she began to get lethargic, was whining and not acting herself. The next day she refused food and had diarrhea with blood and mucus. After several hundred dollars of tests and medication, the vet could not come up with a determination. I started researching her symptoms online and was astounded to find sooo many reviews and complaints of pet owners who have had the same experience! I don’t know if it is cause by the type of wheat that they now make them with or what, but they are obviously toxic to a LARGE number of dogs and cats. Do not give these to your babies. I feel terrible for not researching these better before giving them to her.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

After two of our dogs became ill, we had to figure out what was the cause. After process of elimination, we realized we were still giving both of them their daily Greenies dental chew. Both continued to have severe diarrhea. As soon as we took them off the Greenies, their stool was normal & they were much better. I will never give my dogs these treats again. These treats are very expensive & I assumed safe since they are for dental purposes.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Gave these to my 5 month old puppy and he had blood in his stool then it progressed to very bad diarrhea, I had no clue these would make him so sick. Hopefully he will be okay. I'm very nervous considering what I've read with the other reviews of dogs getting very sick. The vet sells these which is ** insane to me. Very pissed at this company for providing such a toxic product for dogs.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have been using Greenies Pill Pockets for the past few years for treats in the evening (one every evening). My Westie has had intermittent bloody diarrhea during that period and the Vet did not know what was causing it. It was really quite frightening and it took days and days of just chicken and rice and probiotics to get him over it each time. I now know without a doubt that Greenies Pill Pockets have been causing this reaction!!! I feed him nothing but whole cooked chicken and vegetables and no other treats!!! I will be complaining to Greenies Company and the FDA. If anyone would like to pursue a class action suit, please let me know. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My dog eats no table scraps. She only eats prescription dog food and is given no other treats. After getting Greenies in the mail, I decided to try them every now and then for her dental help. After a few days; my dog became very sick. I took her immediately to the doctor, pancreatitis. She was very ill and then only connection was Greenies. Don’t feed your dogs these treats!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Starting giving my dog these treats daily to help his teeth about 3 months ago, He loves them haven’t noticed any bloody stool. However he has two tumors now under his right armpit. The vet says they’re lymphomas (fatty not cancerous) and I should cut down on processed food junk food. He doesn’t eat table scraps and he also is on Orijen (high protein) diet. The only change is this product clearly filled with toxins fillers and no good for daily consumption.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My cat has to take 2-3 pills a day. We bought Greenies salmon-flavor pill pockets and he LOVED them. No problem getting him to take his pills. However, about halfway through the $7.99 pack of 45 pockets, he started refusing to eat them. So we tried the chicken flavor. He LOVED them. But again, about halfway through the bag, he began refusing them again. After the same thing with 2 more bags, it appears that once the bag is opened, they have a shelf-life of about 2-3 weeks. Wasting money. I wish they would sell them in bags of 20 for half the price! We are still using them since otherwise we would have to fight with Puma every day to get him to take the pills, but not happy about the wasted money. The leftovers that Puma won't eat get put out for the possum.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Caused vomiting and extreme bleeding in the stomach for DAYS of my Shih Tzu. Made my dog extremely ill. After reading similar experiences, I can't believe they are still on the market. $850 in vet bills.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

What a horrid experience. Like so many others my cat became addicted to Greenies Catnip Dental Treats as if it was **, from the first morsel she was completely hooked and would howl like a banshee begging for as many treats as she could pry out of me. She also experienced a manic burst of energy after her very first treat like other cats whose stories appear here. After two days of treats having consumed about 25 or so in total she began producing torrents of completely liquified diarrhea. She also seemed to be experiencing abdominal discomfort which is no surprise with that kind of diarrhea. I immediately googled her situation and found this website with page after page of pet owners detailing their horrible, costly and sometimes even FATAL experiences with Greenies treats for both dogs and cats.

I was beside myself with anguish that I may have unwittingly poisoned my beloved kitty and prayed that my mistake would not cause my cat needless pain and suffering, thousands of dollars in medical care and God forbid possibly her premature death! I immediately threw out the remaining Greenies. She still has diarrhea but less than before and she is eating bland cat food, holding it down and not vomiting, and is acting mostly normal so my hope is this will be out of her system in a few days without lasting negative effects. Please learn from my experience and those of so many others, do not purchase these products for your beloved pet, my cat’s crazed response to the first treat offered followed by massive intestinal distress speaks to serious quality control problems at best!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I really wish I had read all of the negative reviews about this product before I ordered two bags from Amazon. The amount recommended by the manufacturer was about 12 treats per day. For about 4 days I gave my cat this amount. He started vomiting on the first day about two hours after ingesting. Cats vomit; I didn't think it was remarkable, though it was very rare for him to do so. There have been many fires, soaring temperatures and lots of smoke in the air in California, so I thought perhaps that was the problem. I continued giving the treats. My cat was also behaving strangely- he acted as if the Greenies were heroin; he would frantically yowl and lunge and climb the cupboards trying to get at them. He'd never rated that way to any good or treats. He lost interest in his food and pestered me for the Greenies, but I wouldn't give him more than the recommended amount, and eventually I began to suspect that the continued vomiting was associated.

He did continue to eat his regular food but seemed to have little appetite for it, and ate less. On day 4 I caught him vomiting within 2 minutes of ingesting the Greenies. It finally clicked for me that just because he craved them did NOT mean that they were good for him! Junkies like crack too. I immediately stopped giving them to him. It's now been several days since he's had any Greenies, and he hasn't booked since the last time he had them. We still have fires and smoke and temperatures in the triple digits. Nothing else in his food, environment, or circumstances has changed. After going back and reading all the reviews, there is just too much empirical evidence for this to be coincidental. This company needs to do some serious investigation if this many cats have such similar adverse reactions. And perhaps a recall is in order until such time as the investigation is concluded.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I was told by a friend that my dog's teeth are white as can be. I said are used to Greenies and she said, “They are very dangerous for your dog.” I now went on website and Consumer Affairs and realize that my two dogs which are Maltese mixes both get diarrhea once in a while and I couldn't figure out what the problem is. I realize sometimes they must be getting it from the Greenies I give them what I think is the best food and never any table food really. But I realize now it probably is the Greenies. I'm going to stop them even though they do make the teeth really white. I have to look into what is good for their teeth and not bad for their digestive system.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I am dealing with my 6 yr old 12 pound Havanase. She is sick and shaking. She has a bloody stool like raspberry jelly and bright red blood coming out of her rectum. I gave her one Greenie a day for 3 days but yesterday gave her two. She is not doing well. I’m hoping and praying from all the other reviews that she will be ok. No more Greenies! I would be on board for a lawsuit with the rest of you. Scared and mad.

Original review: June 27, 2018

All my cats go crazy for Greenies. I wish they were larger because my one cat swallows them whole! You cannot shake the box or they will hear it and come running. I often use the shake to find them when they are hiding.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I only purchased Greenies once. I wanted something to clean the tartar on my cat's teeth. The cats - all 9 of them - liked the Greenies, no questions asked, and that was enough for me. I would buy Greenies again.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My dog's favorite treat ever was Greenies and when she passed away a month ago, I adopted a rescue kitty. While getting things for Charlie, I noticed Greenies for cats so, of course, I bought some. He absolutely loves them too!!! Thanks so much for a healthy treat my babies actually love! The vet told me that Zoe (my dog) had the cleanest teeth he had ever seen on a Chihuahua and her breath didn't smell bad at all. I can't wait to see how great they work for Charlie. Thanks so much for your time and fantastic fur baby treats!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been giving our 10 year old dachshund Greenies Teenies for a few years now with no issues. He absolutely loves them. However recently, beginning of this year 2018, he started having some digestive issues. Diarrhea, blood in stool, loose stool, mucus in stool, vomiting and skipping meals. After a few trips to the vet, blood and stool test, he came up normal. Otherwise active, happy, playful and drinking water fine. Our vet said sometimes they just have flare ups in the intestine, but because his test and physical exams were all good, he didn't think further work up was needed. I mean our dog is healthy. So I started becoming suspect of his food and other factors around the house. After playing around with portions, adding probiotic and giving rice and chicken, I began to think maybe his age was a factor. Some days poops were good and other days not so good.

He was on and off having diarrhea and loose stool for a few months. THEN we ran out of Greenies last week, as Amazon wasn't able to deliver his order of Greenies for almost a 7 days. Louie, the dog, 14 lbs, gets one or two teenies a day after his walks. Since he never turned one down, even when he was feeling his lousiest, I didn't suspect them at first. However after going on a week without a Greenies, his poops were at all time great. Solid, great color, easy to pick up and no straining. I thought the probiotic were helping, the organic chicken in his homemade chicken and rice or maybe his senior gut was having a good week! But... then Amazon delivered the Greenies and in the past two days Louie has enjoyed one Greenie teenie a day after his walks... and guess what. His diarrhea is back, he didn't eat breakfast today and looks pretty droopy overall. He had a loose stool in the am, then watery diarrhea this afternoon with lots of straining.

So I would highly suspect the Greenies and as of this post am done with this treat. I'm not saying Greenies is bad, but somewhere along the years either the formula doesn't agree with him or he created an allergy against them. All I know is that the week without them, his poops were great. The general consensus is that Greenies changed their formula as many dogs were having issues digesting the treat, in some cases Greenies becoming lodged in throats. Especially when dogs who love the treat inhale them lol. So I guess to fix that issue, they made a new formula to better dissolve the treat and that may be our issue, the newer formula does not agree with our little Louie. Oh well Greenies, we had a good run. On to find a kinder treat for my pup.

Greenies expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

• Best for: GREENIES are best for pet owners concerned about their dog’s oral health and/or those who need to give their dog medication.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs