Greenies

Compare Dog Treats

Research top Dog Treats recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have a beautiful healthy active Pomeranian a few years ago. When she was 3, in the afternoon I fed her one of the teenie greenies, that night she seemed off. I could tell she wasn't feeling well. First thing the next morning she threw up. It was full of undigested bits of the greenie. Then she pooped green slim and then she started crying and circling and laying down and getting up to circle some more. Fearing impaction I took her straight to the vet. They did an Xray and thank God there was no impaction but her whole stomach and digestive tract was inflamed! She cried and was in horrible pain!

I had a $250 vet bill and my sweet puppy kept looking at me desperate for me to stop her pain! I felt so helpless! She threw up and pooped green for most of the day. And even when that stopped she kept crying and was obviously hurting! It took several days for her to pull through that and then she began acting like she was going into kidney failure!! I nursed her through that with some herbal help and lots of prayers! Thank God she pulled through!

I am furious with this company because as I began researching to see if anyone else has had this problem I'm finding that many people have lost their pets after feeding this product! Not just impaction but Kidney failure and liver failure! Dogs who like mine were perfectly healthy before being given this "treat" I know they are aware of it (it seems to be primarily small dogs that are having these issues) because they have had to pay for some of the vet bills yet they continue to market to them! I tried to Pursue getting them to pay my vet bill and they tried to say it was because she was in heat! She had never done it before or since!! This was clearly due to the greenie! This is company irresponsible and criminal! I want to warn people about the product and this company's Complete lack of reasonable care for the danger their product presents to our pets!!

I've been trying to figure out why my dog got immediate diarrhea the other night after eating a Greenie and has been sick ever since. I didn't connect it to the Greenie, but finally decided to start googling. We just thought it'd be a tasty treat when we were perusing the health food pet store on Sunday night while waiting for a table at a nearby restaurant, so we bought one and gave it to him. He devoured it immediately. And almost as immediately as the last crumb had been eaten off the floor, he had terrible diarrhea. That was Sunday night. It's now Wednesday night. We have awoken every morning to him and his crate covered in **. He has probably had six baths since then, as it gets in his hair. Poor baby goes out to the lawn and strains and strains and strains for fifteen minutes at a time.

Finally tonight I followed him out and picked through the diarrhea and found a rubber looking bit. I brought it in and rinsed it off and played with it. Sure enough, it was a Greenie bit. Now, he ate a big Greenie. So good Lord how much more of that is stuck in his digestive tract?? :( :( :( This morning, we awoke to him yelping and shrieking. So it's causing him a lot of pain. Tonight when I picked the Greenie bit out, I'm pretty sure he had more stuck in his rectum because he started scooting and barking a little.

My poor sweet baby. He is the cutest. He is a red sable border collie puppy - so fluffy and cute and playful. He is extra fluffy now with all the baths. Still playful, so it's not killing him yet. But now I'm freaking out because I know there is a LOT of Greenie in him, and we're going on four days of straining for 20 mins at a time, barely anything coming out. BUYER BEWARE! Only give your dog a little bit to see how he/she handles it -- or just skip it all together. Why do they even need freaking Greenies??

My 11 year old chihuahua had a greenie and immediately after he was having really bad diarrhea and he wouldn't lie down or sit. It is the second time this happens after he's had a greenie. I will not buy these anymore and I don't recommend anyone buy them either. After two days my chi is still acting weird and having trouble sleeping and he doesn't want to drink water. I am super scared and hope this passes soon. Hate to see him like this. I don't want anyone to contact me and I'm not placing a complaint at this time. I am just providing a review.

So we never before bought these treats. However one of our dogs got into some really nasty smelling stuff and we wanted to get her breath fresher. The treats were bought for a 12 year old lab mix but since our 12 year old Australian Cattle dog was with her at the time he got one as well. This is the only thing he was given that can account for what happened next (no rat poison in the house, no spoiled anything around and no he did not get into that nasty smelling stuff with the other dog). This treat was given to him around 7:00 PM, the next morning we found him in the fenced in back yard, that is open to him through a hatch in the house wall, very unresponsive and it was highly unusual for him to be in the back yard by himself.

We had to go to work but when we came home that day he was still in the exact same spot and was now completely lethargic and drooling slightly. He was taken to the vet at that point, he had to be carried in, during the exam it was found that he had blood in his stool (he soiled himself) and they put him on an IV and started him on fluids. The next morning he still had blood in his stool and he was vomiting blood. Good thing he was in the Animal Hospital or I think he would have died. He fortunately improved and he could come home that late afternoon. He never ever had Greenies before and most definitively will never get them again. Now the other dog they were originally bought for was just fine and yes her breath was a lot better. It seems to me by reading the other reviews that giving your dog or cat Greenies is like playing Russian roulette with your pets live.

The only reason I didn't write this product as a one star, is because it actually worked the first time I used it. Like many other reviewers, I have several pets (cats). Last night, I tried to give one of my cats Pepcid inside the pill pocket. She refused to eat it. So, I removed the pill and gave it to her, then attempted to give the empty pocket as a treat to one of my other cats. He ate it before we all went to bed around 9:30 in the evening. By about 5:45 this morning, I awoke to hearing him throwing up. He threw up approximately seven times in about a half hour timeframe. It started with his partially digested dinner, and he kept throwing up until it was just brown bile. I was mortified! Shortly thereafter, he used the litter box, and drank some water. Fortunately, he has been fine ever since. (He's otherwise healthy, and only almost two years old. I think this factored greatly into his speedy recovery.)

As this all occurred before regular hours for my local vet, I tried looking up a prognosis online. I quickly found all of these reviews, which confirmed my suspicion that the pill pocket had made him sick. The only reason I thought it was safe to give to him in the first place, was because I saw my vet give an empty pocket to one of my cats on a recent visit. And, it was a pill pocket for dogs no less! As mentioned, I am very fortunate that my baby boy is okay. However, I believe Greenies can avoid a lot of these issues, if they would simply put an extra warning label on the package: only use when administering medication. Please exercise caution when using this product. As for me, I will be returning the leftovers, and will not be using it again in the future. Consumer beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

My little Blue Chi had very bad breath but his teeth were fine. Vet could not find anything that was causing it! My neighbor brought him a Greenies and he loves them and it's the only treat he will touch. I have wasted so much money on all the other name brands and he would not touch them. But oh he loves his Greenies and his breath smells great now and he has not been sick or lost any weight while being on them! I am on a fixed income but my little man will have his Greenies regardless! Oh and my neighbor's little Chi loves them too, both are 8 years old and very healthy!

Saw numerous mixed reviews, wanted to add my two cents... I have a 3 year old rescue dog, and give him a Petite Greenies chew (1 a day); he loves them, breath is fresh, retards tartar. Also have needed to give him medications, so has been receiving them in Hickory Smoked flavor Pill Pockets (pill size), I fit both small pills in one pocket, and he takes it readily with no problem. I limit his treats because he was overweight when I adopted him; I noticed that a number of the other reviews mention giving numerous treats (4-8) a day; I wonder if that's part of their problem. So far, we've had none; my previous dog (died at age 14) also loved her Greenies chew.

Our local veterinary clinic recommended the Greenies treats for my cats and dog. It became a fun ritual to watch my kitties run downstairs to my room each night at bedtime for the much anticipated and readily consumed greenies treat - they LOVED these, BUT, feeding them (recently mostly the hairball and skin and fur aid varieties) to my precious babies came with a cost - perhaps the greatest one of all. As I write this my 8 year old pixiebob kitty is fighting for her life. I have been giving these treats for over a year and never before connected the frequent vomiting that my Abyssinian (whose breed presents commonly with digestive issues) to the treats.

Recently the vomiting worsened and then my pixiebob started in expelling green sometimes frothy bilious fluid - then both cats developed severe diarrhea. Finally desperate for answers I stopped the greenies cold turkey. This week my Abyssinian had constant diarrhea for 3 days and is just now able to go 3 hours or more without running to the litter box in attempt to eliminate. I realize now he was wanting to eat so frequently before because he was most likely experiencing cramping. I treated him with homeopathic arsenicum (commonly used when there has been poisoning) and he is doing much better now. My pixiebob however has become bloated and lethargic. This is really scary and I feel very stupid for not having made the connection between the treats and all the vomiting and diarrhea before now.

Add my name to the long list below exhibiting same/similar patterns. BUYER BEWARE! In hindsight on an intuitive level I was suspicious of something that was so addictive and conveniently "nutritious". I know better now. If I had the funds and good health myself I'd look into organizing a class action lawsuit. I approached the local feed store that sells them and the vet clinic and they both turned a blind eye seemingly willing to accept the commonplace poisons present in most commercial pet foods.

I suspect Greenies has been causing diarrhea, lack of appetite, and vomiting in my white German Shepherd, a healthy 2 year old male. He was on Greenies (one single large one every day) for about two weeks before we stopped giving it to him. This is not a dog who wolfs down food or treats. He is picky, eats daintily and pretty slow compared to most other dogs, so I know he wasn't swallowing whole chunks of Greenies.

There was no other change in his strict diet (eating same brand of high quality dog food for 2 months), and he is up to date on all his vaccinations and is on Heartgard and Comfortis and has been for years (so parasites and other preventive illnesses are not the issue). Once we stopped the Greenies, he was back to eating. No more diarrhea and throwing up. We will just have to just stick with the yearly dental cleanings at the vet.

Angel, our domestic shorthair, just LOVED her Greenies, but only three given to her each morning (more recommended on company container) turned her into a hog cat! After purchasing Greenies for the second time, I couldn't help but notice that Angel was rapidly gaining weight so I stopped feeding them to her. Feline Greenies to the dumpster!!! Given a little time off the stuff, I'm happy to report that Angel is eating much less and is loosing weight. We will NEVER purchase Greenies again.

I decided to add my thoughts here. Buddy, my 12 year old Bengal cat suddenly over the last week started acting strange. He would just lay down and salivate, eyes glazed over. Then he started vomiting and finally had a real bad episode where he vomited, urinated in place and then fell over breathing heavy and just laid there. Took him to the vet $$$ and his physical checked out fine and we are waiting on blood work. Talking to my wife about it we realized that the only thing that changed was his cat treats and each time he threw up there was green foam and sometimes most of the greenie treat. We threw out the treats needless to say. I'll mention to my vet this new information. Will never buy this stuff again. We have another Bengal who wouldn't touch the treats and he is just fine (smart cat!). Everything else they share the same, water, food etc. Terrible product! I never thought to Google this product before giving it to him. Feel terrible for what I put him through.

I actually came here looking for a cheaper alternative for the Pill Pockets but felt compelled to give a good review when I saw all the horror stories. My cat loves these (he's missing most of his teeth so it's probably related to them being soft) so we've ended up using them as treats. He's never had any adverse reactions to them, so I have to wonder if the other reviewers have really sensitive pets or are making correlation into causation incorrectly. So, I recommend them. Maybe get a smaller packet when first trying them to see if your pet is allergic/whatever.

OK so seems it's scare mommy week... Yesterday I once again went to a pet food store to find some chews that are GOOD and healthy for Maggy. The girl there did say stay away from white rawhide coz bleached so gave me confidence she knew what she was talking about. She suggested Greenies and a natural Deer antler piece... went for both. Last night she chewed on the antler. All was fine. This afternoon, after her lunch and since it says it helps clean teeth, I gave her the Greenie and THANK GOD since she has really powerful back teeth, I was holding it so she didn't choke on any pieces. As I suspected, she chewed off within 5 minutes a couple chunks size of peas which she gulped down. So I took it away... Sandy even licked the stuff!

About 15 minutes later, Maggy jumps off the bed (what a sweetheart) and throws up her food AND the 4-5 pea size pieces of Greenies :/ Regular regurgitation with no foam or nothing but I came here right away to google those things and what do I find? THIS series of posts and scary stories. Needless to say it is in the GARBAGE (she had only gone through maybe a 10th of the medium size bone) and I'm sharing this in case some use those. Can't believe they sell them. And no they aren't made in China (I checked for that); made in the US :/ Which usually is safe... Ugh... Now she after the throwing up she was not like all those stories here (lethargic and all probably because unlike them, she didn't eat many or for long time). She even ran and played in the yard, drank water and played with her toys and is now sleeping soundly by my side... Fingers crossed this was all... Please do NOT buy those people. :(

I took my 3 month old German Shepherd puppy to the vet for her vaccinations yesterday. They use the greenies pill pockets and smoosh them on the counter so she'll be distracted while they check her and give her shots. They used like 4 or 5. About 40 mins later she vomited a huge amount. We were in the car so I passed it off as car sickness since we were driving around. We got home and about an hour later she vomited again. My poor baby had bouts of vomiting and diarrhea the rest of the day and night. The diarrhea was like a greenish slime. Poor baby was uncomfortable all night. She would not eat or drink anything. I would put water on my fingers to get her to lick it off.

Thank God she seems to be doing better today. No more vomiting or diarrhea and she did drink some water and ate some food. I'm going to call my vet and let them know about her experience and give them this website so they can read all the comments. They use these during their exams and they sell them in their lobby area. I will NEVER give these to her again. I just hope there's no long term damage.

My cat apparently discovered a Greenies cat treat that the previous tenants left behind. He was extremely lethargic, had a fever, puking food then foam, and had diarrhea like water for a day. He improved over the next 6 days then started acting lethargic again, vomited lots of food, then vomited a Greenies followed by more foam. He immediately went in front of his litter box and had watery diarrhea that stunk up the entire house. I would not have made much of a connection if it had not been for everyone else also reporting the adverse effects it had on their animals so thank you! He had to be given fluids but is feeling much better after getting that thing out of his system!! I'd still like to know where he found it!

After 3 days our 7-year-old Chow Chow is very sick, vomiting and diarrhea. This really is bad.

Currently trying to report the lack of use of the metal detector at Wild Flavors Erlanger, KY 41018. They make the dry ingredients which go into the product. I understand this is not for human consumption, but should be regulated somehow. Maybe explain all these animals getting sick. Went through chain of command at work. They are extremely retaliatory. Enough said.

I started noticing that every time my cat would eat the salmon flavored Greenies she would throw up about an hour later. After seeing all of the other reviews I am going to throw these out. Thank goodness it wasn't worse.

We have been giving our two dogs (a 12 yr. old Boxer and a 12 yr. old Pomchi) Greenies dog treats for about 5 years. However, recently after our dogs became sick the last 2 times we gave them Greenies, I'm sure that there is now a problem with an ingredient(s) in these dog treats. A couple of weeks ago both dogs became sick a day after eating a Greenies each. The symptoms were exactly as other reviewers stated (lethargy, vomiting, weakness, etc). At the time I didn't connect the symptoms to Greenies because they never had a bad reaction after eating them before... Until now.

Just earlier this evening I gave them both a Greenies (the Large size for our 75 lb. Boxer and the Teenie size for our 4.5 lb. Pomchi). An hour after eating them our Boxer became lethargic and began breathing heavy. Suddenly he collapsed and then quickly got up again. Right now he seems alright but I'll be keeping a close watch on both dogs tonight and tomorrow. I don't think that my experience and that of other reviewers is a coincidence since the symptoms are all similar. Hopefully the manufacturer and/or the FDA, USDA, FTC will initiate an investigation to determine the cause of so many pets becoming sick after ingesting Greenies. Until then Buyer Beware!

My healthy 2.5 years old indoors only cat died this Monday after we tried to save her in the emergency hospital for three days and three nights. She started hiding from us one night which was very unusual, and then she threw up white foamy liquid. We took her to the hospital this night but they said she was ok. Next day she started having bloody stool. We took her to the hospital again where they did many tests of stool, blood and radiology testing but all results came back fine. The only thing they noted was that her blood did not clot. After that she started spiraling into very bad lethargic state and had bloody diarrhea. Her symptoms were similar to rat poison ingestion which was absolutely impossible because she is indoor only cat and we do not have it. All genetics disorders also highly unlikely because she did not have this problem earlier. She died later after three days and three nights of blood and plasma transfusions to stop her bleeding.

After thinking about what might have caused it and researching internet I can say that Greenies her favorite treat might have caused it. We were given her Greenies but in small quantities about 6-8 treats a day for about a year because I thought it was the max. But then my son read the label again and said we can give her more up to 18 and we started to give her more just recently because she loved them so very much. This was the only thing we did differently with her last couple weeks. After reading about all the reaction on Greenies other animals had I am almost sure Greenies caused it. I just want people to know how dangerous it might be to their pets. Unfortunately Amazon has rave reviews of this product which might be deadly.

I have a seven year old Yorkie. I have been giving her Greenies daily for at least four years. She has frequent bouts of throwing up a yellow foam and occasional diarrhea but I didn't think much about it. Last week she got sick and it has continued. Won't eat or drink, lethargic, vomiting anything she does eat. But she would eat her Greenies. I did not give her one yesterday and today she is eating, seems more active but still appears uncomfortable. I decided to research Greenies and found all the review that are so similar to what I have experienced. I am not going to give her anymore Greenies and since I buy the large box, I am going to return them to PetSmart for a refund.

My cats absolutely love Greenies, and they've been eating them for six years. Never vomiting - and my boy has a sensitive stomach. He vomits up high quality food, so he only eats Wellness or Organix now - wet only. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars is because they're sooo addictive. My cats cry for them as soon as they've finished dinner every night and every time I open the cabinet where they're kept, they come tearing into the kitchen like maniacs.

I have two cats and began giving these treats to them about a year ago. Yes, it's true... they did love them. HOWEVER, these treats are evil. My one cat had no problem but my other cat developed serious problems. It began with aggressive behavior toward my other cat and then I began noticing that she was licking herself to the point of being naked. It started slowly with the fur on her stomach and then she began licking all the fur off of her legs and tail. She acted like she was being bitten by hundreds of fleas. I spent hundreds of dollars at the vet and everything came back negative.

I finally talked to a friend of mine who is a vet and she said it really did sound like allergies and to stop the Greenies. The itching is already subsiding and she is slowly getting better and her fur is coming back. I just want to warn everyone... this can take MONTHS to notice. My kitty started losing her fur about 6 months ago and it just got worse and worse. I would like to tell everyone to avoid these treats... there has to be something really terrible in them to cause this behavior and these allergies. Yikes!

All of these negative reviews are really scary! But I decided to share my experience to even things out a little. I have had my cat for about five months now and she is about 10-11 months old. For the last several months I have been feeding her Greenies treats of various flavors (catnip, salmon, chicken, and ocean fish) and she likes all of them. She is a very energetic kitty and has never had any of the symptoms mentioned by other reviewers here. She has chewed through the bag before, but she will do that with any food (or food-scented object, like a kitchen sponge--gross!). I don't think she has an unnaturally insatiable appetite for them because I put them in her Kong ball and while she enjoys it, she will often take a break from it and come back and get the rest of the treats out of it later. Next time I take her to the vet I WILL ask them about these treats, but so far after several months, my cat loves these and has had NO bad side effects.

I have given Greenies to my dog on occasion, since he was a puppy. He always acts crazy when I give them to him and starts growling if I try and come near. I usually end up chopping off a small piece for him to eat, because they are too tough to chew and I'm afraid he will choke. Recently, he threw up several hours after eating one, but I didn't put two and two together. Well, I gave him half a Greenies last night and sure enough, threw up a few hours later again...like clockwork! Needless to say, I will be taking them back to PetSmart and my dog will never see Greenies again!

I purchased these for my rotty. I only gave them to her occasionally due to the price. Last week we had crappy weather. Lots of freezing rain, sleet, etc. so she was in the house more than usual. So I gave her one 4 days in a row. She became very sick to the point I made an appointment to have her put down. My son and husband were devastated, so I told them I would give them the weekend to spend with her. Thank God. My husband and I helped her walk outside. We encouraged her to walk even though her back legs were shaking and she was hunched up like a cat. She finally peed. Then took a few more steps and started to poop. After that she was much better. She still couldn't navigate the steps alone as her back legs were trembling.

A short time later she went out again and pooped. Seemed to be back to normal. Had 3 great days. Yesterday have her the last Greenies. Today she is whining, shaking, etc again. I finally just put 2 & 2 together. I will not be feeding her these anymore. I don't know what is in them but it isn't good. She was miserable. Couldn't eat, walk, get comfortable, she cried and whined. Almost cost her her life.

Greenies hickory pill pockets - I've loved these. My 15 yo Italian greyhound takes 5 pills 2 a day. Easy no problems. My cairn terrier got into them & ate about a bag and 1/2. There were 15+ piles of puke. I hope she will be OK.

When I started giving my dog Greenies I noticed an aggressive behavior in my dog after I gave it to him. He displayed one characteristic behavior with aggression and we joked around, and my family was saying that there must be catnip in the Greenies. In talking to other people that stopped giving the Greenies to their pet they express that their dog had the same behavior. I asked my vet if they were aware of any side effects. They said no. I would normally write the situation off to my dog being extra sensitive to that particular brand or ingredient that is relatively harmless in other dogs. However at the dog park that I take my dog to there seem to be a consensus that Greenies causes more than one side effect the aggression. I noticed that my dog started getting the described side effects -- scratching and itching uncontrollably, throwing up, and lethargy. I threw them out and I asked my veterinarian to please consider not carrying that brand.

I have two dogs, a boxer-pit mix and a chihuahua, and they both don't have the best of luck when it comes to staying out of trouble. Here recently, my chihuahua fractured her ribs and had to have two different pain medications once every 12 hours. She's a little thing and is a bit picky when it comes to treats. She will only eat the soft ones and bite size. (She is small so her bite size is tiny.) When it was time for her medicine I would open the bag and her little ears would perk up. She looooved these things. And this has changed how my roommate and I give medicine to our dogs. These are a game changer!

Firstly I want to thank all of the reviewers; if only I had listened more closely. My 11 year old cat was fine until I started feeding her these. Not believing it was the Greenies, I gave her just two a few days ago after waiting at least three weeks (she got sick for three days at that time but pulled through). She has now lost 1.5 pounds, quit purring and bites me when I pet her. She looks miserable. For the first two days she was so quiet and lethargic I thought that I would find her dead. She also quit grooming herself and you know how cats love to be clean! Since she was still eating 1/2 - 2/3 of what she normally eats, I didn't believe it was the treats at first, but I took her to the vet, did the $500 bloodwork and was told she has a very high temperature. Poor kitty.

I bought mine at T.J. Maxx, but I had bought many other brands of treats there (the ones for urinary in the red bag are the best that she loved) and these do not have an expiry date for at least a year. It has been the biggest and costliest mistake I have made. The vet gave her a steroid injection, and she seems to be eating more, but to be down almost two pounds is alarming. I will never, ever give her these again. I don't see her drinking much water either. Only time will tell, but no more Greenies. I can't believe so few would be so life changing.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.
  • Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.
  • Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.
  • Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.
  • American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.
  • Best for GREENIES are best for pet owners concerned about their dog’s oral health and/or those who need to give their dog medication.

Compare Dog Treats