1.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Greenies

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Greenies Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

If your dog does not prefer these treats, but you accept that some dogs do, why would you not recognize that it is a "no-fault" situation. Why would you leave a 2 star review for something that clearly was no fault of the treat itself? My dog absolutely loves the Greenies Original, but that's just my dog. I did have a bag appear to go bad on me, but that may have been that the bag was not sealed shut properly, and only that one time. We've been using these more for the treat value than anything to do with cleaning. Vets tell me they're not "all that". Nonetheless, we like them and will continue buying them because it buys me a few minutes to my thoughts when I get home.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I board dogs in my home. These treats are great for some dogs who will chew on them. My own dog swallows them whole. They are good for the teeth. The cost is too high even on sale. I spend $80 a 25 pound bag of dog food (that’s high end) and care greatly about my dog's health and diet. I buy my dog a bark box of toys and treats for $20 a month. I only bought my dog some pumpkin Greenies because they were clearanced. Nothing can take the place of a toothbrush and dental cleanings.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My dogs loves Greenies. I would let everyone know it's good for their dogs. It's good for the bad breath and good for their health. I have 3 dogs and it could be very pricey to buy all the time. So I don't buy them very often.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I give my German Shepherd/Doberman mix the Grain-Free Greenies. She loves them even more than her other treats. They have a rather disagreeable odor, but the bag seals tightly, so it's a minor inconvenience. My only objection to this brand is that the cost is so high. If it were more affordable, I'd give her extra treats every day, but even purchasing at Chewy.com, she can only have one a day.

Original review: March 6, 2019

As of now my dogs are doing very well with Greenies. I have two dogs and both get Greenies because brushing their teeth is a hassle! They are well and really love these. They actually work to remove plaque in the experience I have had with both of my doggies. They had some pretty bad plaque build up and Greenies got rid of it. As of the reviews I'm reading here, Greenies are recommended for adult dogs, and they only just came out with a puppy and senior recipe. Be mindful of that when purchasing. Some dogs are sensitive to certain ingredients that they might not know about and when introducing a new food to your dogs ALWAYS in moderation because a new food will almost always cause an upset belly if too much is given. (I worked at Petco and you learn there that TRANSITION is KEY.)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: July 23, 2019

I needed to give my 12 year old beagle two pills three times a day for a urinary tract infection. I used Greenies pill pockets and I bought the 3.2 oz package that said it had "approx" 30 pills. I would be Ok with 28, or 29 or 31 - I get it approximately means not exactly 30 but it also means "near" 30. When I used them - it only had 20 pills in the package. This is grossly misleading the consumer and in my opinion leads me to distrust the manufacturer. It's hard enough in this day and age to know who to trust for the product content but to not even put the number you claim in the package leads me to grossly mistrust them. I will never buy them again. I guess I will use a good fresh piece of meat or actual peanut butter to persuade my beagle to eat pills in the future. Shame on you - Greenies! Joel ** Irvine, CA **

Original review: June 29, 2019

My Yokie loves the Teenie Greenies, all flavors. Great for her teeth. Great for her digestion. Great for her happiness. She has been eating them for over 8 years and always loves them. Say the word “Greenies” and she comes running.

Original review: June 14, 2019

After feeding our 4 year old lab a large breed dental chew shaped like a toothbrush she started vomiting within hours, 5 solid days of vomiting once a day and we were still seeing chunks of undigested orange pieces in her vomit. Why is this allowed on the market with so many reports of illness?

Original review: May 31, 2019

I bought the small Greenies for my Chihuahuas. One is 5.5 pounds and the other is 7 pounds, I gave them the Greenies that are meant for 5-15 pound dogs. While my dogs loved these treats, their bodies didn’t. After a few days of giving them Greenies, they both starting vomiting all over the house for two days straight, each throwing up about three times a day. My 7 pound chihuahua kept heaving and her eyes were tearing, and she was very shaky. I stopped giving them the treats after that and now they’re back to normal. I looked into the treats and I read that many dogs have died from eating these treats. If your dog doesn’t chew them, they can apparently expand in their stomachs and kill your dog. However, I’m not entirely sure this is true, but what I do know for a fact is that these made my dogs very sick. I would recommend just brushing your dog's teeth.

Original review: April 30, 2019

As others noted on this site, Greenies dental seafood flavored treats made my cat very ill! The diarrhea was the worse! Other issues were throwing up and weeping eyes. I had extensive blood work & other test done which all came back normal. I then found posts here which described his issues exactly. I Removed the 6-8 treats he was given per day and all the issues stopped! Note my cat is 15 yrs old and has been raised strictly indoors. Never in contact with other animals (except his brother who died 2 yrs ago). He has had a strict diet of Hills M/D since 2011. Food is measured amount AM and PM. He's Never given any people food.

Greenies expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

• Best for: GREENIES are best for pet owners concerned about their dog’s oral health and/or those who need to give their dog medication.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs