2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

3.9/5 (336 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Greenies

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

On 8/20/21, I bought a brand new bag of Peanut Butter Capsule Pill Pockets Greenies. I gave one to one dog and she had very explosive diarrhea and then vomited. She has been at the ER vet numerous times and had fecal tests, blood tests and X-rays. The X-rays revealed tons of gastritis in the intestines. She was placed on **, **, **, ** and nothing worked. I was getting ready to drive to a veterinary university hospital when I realized that It could be the Greenies. I looked online and found similar complaints. I called the vet and they agreed it finally was making sense. I strongly plead with the manufacturer to PLEASE investigate the issue.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Actually I had given one dog Greenies many times…but then we had bloody diarrhea. Then my other dog got bloody diarrhea. Several trips to the vet and significant $$$$ and I couldn’t figure out the cause. Started a process of elimination. I couldn’t imagine a product I had given before, that my vet sold at one time being the cause. When I eliminated the greenies the diarrhea stopped. I am pretty surprised with all of these very bad reviews the product is still on the market. I hope this helps get a response from the company.

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2021

8 days ago my cat urinated in my bed twice in the middle of the night. The night before I fed him a Greenies treat while going to bed. I bought the treats two months prior for the first time and had been infrequently giving them to him. I took him to the vet and dropped him off for the day until they could get urine. Everything came back normal, except that his urine was dilute. The vet mentioned Kidney Failure being a possibility, and I requested blood work to be done. He came back with all the classic values of Kidney Failure.

I had blood work done in the Fall of 2019 after a concerning incident- and again in April of 2020 (just over a year ago). His values on both tests were in the normal range. Nothing changed about my cat's diet in that time frame. I tried using a different cat litter at the time of buying the Greenies and continued it up until 8 days ago. In the two weeks leading up to the emergency vet trip, I noticed overall urine increasing in the litter box (I have two cats). It was difficult to gauge using the newer litter, so I paid it no mind and wanted to see what happened back on the clumping litter. I had already bought it and replaced it after the emergency incident- he is now urinating at least a week's worth (6"x6"x4" clumped) over the course of 24-48 hours.

He continues to have no appetite. I have been having to wet canned food down significantly, over and over again in order to get him to ingest anything. He won't touch his normal diet, which is a very high quality food he has eaten for years. I am dismayed to read that there may be a similar connection for other owners, and I'm afraid that it might be too late for me to do anything about it if this is the cause. The onset of this was relatively rapid for me to believe it's CKD. His values on Monday put him at stage 3 on the IRIS scale, but the vet didn't think he should be acting this sick with the values he was at. We go back in 2 days for a second round of testing and I plan to ask for more to be done diagnostically.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I got a bag of these for hairball control. I had never tried them before. A week later I gave her 4 treats in the morning and she threw them up. Then in the afternoon she started throwing up a green liquid and foam all night long for about 12 hours and was very sick. It was like she had been poisoned and there was nothing else she could have gotten into. She got sick at least ten or more times. I had to take her to the emergency vet hospital. They did blood work on her and the only thing wrong was her blood sugar was a little high due to the stress. They gave her fluids Intravenously as she was severely dehydrated and anti nausea medication. They gave her pills for the nausea and an appetite stimulant to take home. Cost me $430.

I was afraid she was severely sick or going to die and did not get any sleep for over 24 hours. These were the only thing that could have caused this to happen as she had never been sick like this before. Plus she was throwing up a green liquid bile and foam which is the color of the Greenies. She is feeling better now but was not eating much or feeling good for several days. I feel terrible that I gave her these with the intention they were good for her. I am also going to contact the company and want to warn others not to buy these. I may look into getting these tested for contaminants.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I have been using GREENIES Grain free now for two weeks and my dog is now so sick he has bloody diarrhea and is suffering so much all he does is drink water and poop.. I will NEVER use this product EVER.. How can this make him so ill, I am taking him to the vet today. I hope he will survive as he is so young.. Please consider your pet's life should you buy this stuff.. I love my dog so much..

Original review: July 2, 2021

I reached out twice already in two years to let Greenies know as a loyal long time customer how I loved their products even when I had a bad stale batch purchased from my local state brothers market. I went out of my way to try a different batch from my local Target which were more fresh! My dogs love it so now I shop there for chews. But, their customer service rep end did not compensate or coupon or help in any way to alleviate the situation. Coming from 10 years in customer service I couldn’t believe this is how they treat their customers with a complaint and compliment for loyalty. Truly disappointed!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Even though I’m horrified to read about all the horror stories of cats dying and dogs getting sick, I honestly can’t say I’ve ever had a bad experience with this company or its products. In August of 2019, I adopted Dakota who is the absolute light of my life. As a new pet owner, it was a constant trial and error with finding an appropriate dog food right down to healthy supplements and treats. I loved the ingredients list for Greenies dental treats and Dakota has never had any trouble with it.

I’ve actually been told on two separate occasions when I scheduled a dental cleaning that it wasn’t necessary because his teeth were in excellent shape. I’ve also used pill pockets since like most dogs, the taste of medicine doesn’t exactly appeal to him. The chicken and hickory smoked flavors seem to be the best and pill time has never been easier for me. And even though my Ko doesn’t have an iron stomach, he’s never suffered from loose stools, diarrhea, or vomiting as a result of this company. I’m sad that some folks have gone through what they have with their pets’ health declining and I can only hope that I will personally never go through that experience as a result of someone else messing up.

Original review: May 6, 2021

On Jan. 13, 2021 Greenies treats were delivered to me from Chewy.com. I got them for my middle-aged cat because she liked canned food, had some bad breath, and I wanted her to eat something that would benefit her dental health. I wanted her to eat more dry food as well and give her treats for being a good kitty. I would give her 5 to 8 morsels at night to make her happy. If I didn't give her the treats she would keep meowing and I couldn't sleep at night. In the morning I would find the morsels mostly chewed up with some residual.

Over time I started noticing that my cat was getting diarrhea and whining when she went to the kitty litter. Several times you could tell that the Greenies were in the diarrhea as it looked a greenish color. But, when I stopped giving the treats for a few days, the diarrhea quit. Now mind you, my kitty was Siamese, so she was always vocal, and it was hard to tell what her exact issue is/was.

A week leading up to her death she developed a need for more water, an unwillingness to eat, and then constipation or some form of blockage. She appeared to be gassy and moaned off/on in pain. She was throwing up several times a day. She became wobbly when she walked, so I trimmed her back claws thinking that was the cause -- it wasn't. She liked to jump on my lap. She was having problem jumping straight. Three times a day I hand-fed her, only to have her throw it up later. She was also throwing up liquid and became dehydrated. My kitty passed away on May 5, 2021. My other cat, who is age 15, eats only dry food, doesn't like or eat Greenies treats, and she is doing fine.

Original review: April 1, 2021

My 2 yr old cat has been eating Greenies for almost a year and he loves them. BUT recently I had bought 2 lg bags from one of the big box stores and I had a small bag from the local grocery store. large bags were salmon flavor and catnip flavor dental treats and the small bag was also salmon flavor dental treats. All bags had more than a year before expiry date. I gave my cat some of one of the lg bags and he threw up 20min later. I didn't think it was the treats as he had not reacted to them like this before so next day I gave him some of same bag and he threw up again within 20 min. So the following day I opened the other big bag and gave him figuring it may be one bad bag and he threw up again! So then next day I gave him some from the small bag I had got at the grocery store and he threw those up also within 20 min!!! That's 3 different bags from 2 different stores!!!

Clearly these treats are contaminated with something. After reading other reviews I see I'm lucky he was able to throw them up and is OK. Seems many pet owners weren't as lucky. WHAT A HORRID COMPANY TO SELL FOOD THAT MAKES OUR PETS SICK. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE THESE AGAIN NOR ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS MADE BY Mars Petcare US. I hope someone brings a class action lawsuit against them...it's the very least they deserve!

Original review: March 21, 2021

Hello,

As Many other pet owners, we experienced a loss of one of our beloved cats (superstition preclude using our cat's names). Her sister, is fairing well (fingers crossed) after treatment and special foods/medicines to arrest the damage from the Greenies Cat treats. We were perplexed when both of our cats showed symptoms of lack of lack of elimination, no interest in food, vomiting, falling, weakness, lack of motor control, and in one case coma and death within a period of 1 and 1/2 days. The cat that passed away had several of the treats. We were not able to save her and she died in my daughter's arms. We were able to get her sister to the vet. We found out later that there was an emergency weekend. Vet too late to save one of our cats, but, we were able to get our other cat treated (enema) and hydrated along with a wellness check. We now are feeding her special diet for kidney support and hydrated for the rest of her life.

We did not know at first that Greenies was the cause of this sudden ordeal until a few days later after the Vet when we gave her sister the Greenies again and she started to vomit and fall down within 2 hours of eating them. Luckily she is a picky eater and only had one of the treats. We took her immediately to the Vet again and after rehydration and wellness check we were able to have her back home. However, she is not the same after the Greenies.

One of the reasons that I am also writing this is to speak about the cruel and representative that we spoke to when alerting her of the Greenies Company toxicity. Her lack of concern as well as Only invested in protecting the company was absolutely obscene. Her focus was try and find out what we did wrong to have our little furbaby die! She never asked for samples to be sent to the company, etc, only the barcode numbers (granted this is important and expected) but she tried to focus on the expiration date (Dec 2021) and any other feature that took the attention away from the Greenies as the cause concern.

In this format, I have not listed the totality of the symptoms of or ladies here as I did in the call. I had thought, naively so, that if I inform the company, there would be concern to save other Pet owners this kind of sadness and ordeal. I started the call with the fact that one of our cats have died and I am requesting that the company recall the treats.

This may have been a little assertive, but, a life was lost over the treats. I told her that this was my Only concern, that other pet cat owners not have to experience what we had with the loss of our beloved cat. Greenies has had recalls before for dogs, so, she her lack of real concern in this issue was alarming. This representative's focus on saving the Greenies company After Greenies has has had multiple recalls for dog food was telling. However, there has been None for cats. Even after multiple cat owners have contacted the company with similar symptoms and concerns.

Thus far, this is the only forum that even alerts cat owners that there is a toxic substance or processing in Greenies that is killing cats that are family for many of us. And, a review of this site will show that this has happened for Several Years now! This company should no longer be making any kind of pet food as it is evident that they do not know how to make it safe and after so many incidents with pet deaths and comprised heath.

On a positive note: There is a wonderful warning system for pet owners that alerts when there are recalls: Dave at Petful. He provides alerts but, as mentioned earlier none of these cat treats have been recalled by the Greenies company. And, if there is damage for your cat, there are products that can assist in strengthening the kidneys as well as pet rehydration products after a Vet visit. Thank you and Stay Safe and Blessed!

Greenies author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

Greenies Company Information