1.45/5
Based on 211 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

228 Greenies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

After two of our dogs became ill, we had to figure out what was the cause. After process of elimination, we realized we were still giving both of them their daily Greenies dental chew. Both continued to have severe diarrhea. As soon as we took them off the Greenies, their stool was normal & they were much better. I will never give my dogs these treats again. These treats are very expensive & I assumed safe since they are for dental purposes.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Gave these to my 5 month old puppy and he had blood in his stool then it progressed to very bad diarrhea, I had no clue these would make him so sick. Hopefully he will be okay. I'm very nervous considering what I've read with the other reviews of dogs getting very sick. The vet sells these which is ** insane to me. Very pissed at this company for providing such a toxic product for dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have been using Greenies Pill Pockets for the past few years for treats in the evening (one every evening). My Westie has had intermittent bloody diarrhea during that period and the Vet did not know what was causing it. It was really quite frightening and it took days and days of just chicken and rice and probiotics to get him over it each time. I now know without a doubt that Greenies Pill Pockets have been causing this reaction!!! I feed him nothing but whole cooked chicken and vegetables and no other treats!!! I will be complaining to Greenies Company and the FDA. If anyone would like to pursue a class action suit, please let me know. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My dog eats no table scraps. She only eats prescription dog food and is given no other treats. After getting Greenies in the mail, I decided to try them every now and then for her dental help. After a few days; my dog became very sick. I took her immediately to the doctor, pancreatitis. She was very ill and then only connection was Greenies. Don’t feed your dogs these treats!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Starting giving my dog these treats daily to help his teeth about 3 months ago, He loves them haven’t noticed any bloody stool. However he has two tumors now under his right armpit. The vet says they’re lymphomas (fatty not cancerous) and I should cut down on processed food junk food. He doesn’t eat table scraps and he also is on Orijen (high protein) diet. The only change is this product clearly filled with toxins fillers and no good for daily consumption.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My cat has to take 2-3 pills a day. We bought Greenies salmon-flavor pill pockets and he LOVED them. No problem getting him to take his pills. However, about halfway through the $7.99 pack of 45 pockets, he started refusing to eat them. So we tried the chicken flavor. He LOVED them. But again, about halfway through the bag, he began refusing them again. After the same thing with 2 more bags, it appears that once the bag is opened, they have a shelf-life of about 2-3 weeks. Wasting money. I wish they would sell them in bags of 20 for half the price! We are still using them since otherwise we would have to fight with Puma every day to get him to take the pills, but not happy about the wasted money. The leftovers that Puma won't eat get put out for the possum.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Caused vomiting and extreme bleeding in the stomach for DAYS of my Shih Tzu. Made my dog extremely ill. After reading similar experiences, I can't believe they are still on the market. $850 in vet bills.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

What a horrid experience. Like so many others my cat became addicted to Greenies Catnip Dental Treats as if it was **, from the first morsel she was completely hooked and would howl like a banshee begging for as many treats as she could pry out of me. She also experienced a manic burst of energy after her very first treat like other cats whose stories appear here. After two days of treats having consumed about 25 or so in total she began producing torrents of completely liquified diarrhea. She also seemed to be experiencing abdominal discomfort which is no surprise with that kind of diarrhea. I immediately googled her situation and found this website with page after page of pet owners detailing their horrible, costly and sometimes even FATAL experiences with Greenies treats for both dogs and cats.

I was beside myself with anguish that I may have unwittingly poisoned my beloved kitty and prayed that my mistake would not cause my cat needless pain and suffering, thousands of dollars in medical care and God forbid possibly her premature death! I immediately threw out the remaining Greenies. She still has diarrhea but less than before and she is eating bland cat food, holding it down and not vomiting, and is acting mostly normal so my hope is this will be out of her system in a few days without lasting negative effects. Please learn from my experience and those of so many others, do not purchase these products for your beloved pet, my cat’s crazed response to the first treat offered followed by massive intestinal distress speaks to serious quality control problems at best!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I really wish I had read all of the negative reviews about this product before I ordered two bags from Amazon. The amount recommended by the manufacturer was about 12 treats per day. For about 4 days I gave my cat this amount. He started vomiting on the first day about two hours after ingesting. Cats vomit; I didn't think it was remarkable, though it was very rare for him to do so. There have been many fires, soaring temperatures and lots of smoke in the air in California, so I thought perhaps that was the problem. I continued giving the treats. My cat was also behaving strangely- he acted as if the Greenies were heroin; he would frantically yowl and lunge and climb the cupboards trying to get at them. He'd never rated that way to any good or treats. He lost interest in his food and pestered me for the Greenies, but I wouldn't give him more than the recommended amount, and eventually I began to suspect that the continued vomiting was associated.

He did continue to eat his regular food but seemed to have little appetite for it, and ate less. On day 4 I caught him vomiting within 2 minutes of ingesting the Greenies. It finally clicked for me that just because he craved them did NOT mean that they were good for him! Junkies like crack too. I immediately stopped giving them to him. It's now been several days since he's had any Greenies, and he hasn't booked since the last time he had them. We still have fires and smoke and temperatures in the triple digits. Nothing else in his food, environment, or circumstances has changed. After going back and reading all the reviews, there is just too much empirical evidence for this to be coincidental. This company needs to do some serious investigation if this many cats have such similar adverse reactions. And perhaps a recall is in order until such time as the investigation is concluded.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I was told by a friend that my dog's teeth are white as can be. I said are used to Greenies and she said, “They are very dangerous for your dog.” I now went on website and Consumer Affairs and realize that my two dogs which are Maltese mixes both get diarrhea once in a while and I couldn't figure out what the problem is. I realize sometimes they must be getting it from the Greenies I give them what I think is the best food and never any table food really. But I realize now it probably is the Greenies. I'm going to stop them even though they do make the teeth really white. I have to look into what is good for their teeth and not bad for their digestive system.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I am dealing with my 6 yr old 12 pound Havanase. She is sick and shaking. She has a bloody stool like raspberry jelly and bright red blood coming out of her rectum. I gave her one Greenie a day for 3 days but yesterday gave her two. She is not doing well. I’m hoping and praying from all the other reviews that she will be ok. No more Greenies! I would be on board for a lawsuit with the rest of you. Scared and mad.

Original review: June 27, 2018

All my cats go crazy for Greenies. I wish they were larger because my one cat swallows them whole! You cannot shake the box or they will hear it and come running. I often use the shake to find them when they are hiding.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I only purchased Greenies once. I wanted something to clean the tartar on my cat's teeth. The cats - all 9 of them - liked the Greenies, no questions asked, and that was enough for me. I would buy Greenies again.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My dog's favorite treat ever was Greenies and when she passed away a month ago, I adopted a rescue kitty. While getting things for Charlie, I noticed Greenies for cats so, of course, I bought some. He absolutely loves them too!!! Thanks so much for a healthy treat my babies actually love! The vet told me that Zoe (my dog) had the cleanest teeth he had ever seen on a Chihuahua and her breath didn't smell bad at all. I can't wait to see how great they work for Charlie. Thanks so much for your time and fantastic fur baby treats!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been giving our 10 year old dachshund Greenies Teenies for a few years now with no issues. He absolutely loves them. However recently, beginning of this year 2018, he started having some digestive issues. Diarrhea, blood in stool, loose stool, mucus in stool, vomiting and skipping meals. After a few trips to the vet, blood and stool test, he came up normal. Otherwise active, happy, playful and drinking water fine. Our vet said sometimes they just have flare ups in the intestine, but because his test and physical exams were all good, he didn't think further work up was needed. I mean our dog is healthy. So I started becoming suspect of his food and other factors around the house. After playing around with portions, adding probiotic and giving rice and chicken, I began to think maybe his age was a factor. Some days poops were good and other days not so good.

He was on and off having diarrhea and loose stool for a few months. THEN we ran out of Greenies last week, as Amazon wasn't able to deliver his order of Greenies for almost a 7 days. Louie, the dog, 14 lbs, gets one or two teenies a day after his walks. Since he never turned one down, even when he was feeling his lousiest, I didn't suspect them at first. However after going on a week without a Greenies, his poops were at all time great. Solid, great color, easy to pick up and no straining. I thought the probiotic were helping, the organic chicken in his homemade chicken and rice or maybe his senior gut was having a good week! But... then Amazon delivered the Greenies and in the past two days Louie has enjoyed one Greenie teenie a day after his walks... and guess what. His diarrhea is back, he didn't eat breakfast today and looks pretty droopy overall. He had a loose stool in the am, then watery diarrhea this afternoon with lots of straining.

So I would highly suspect the Greenies and as of this post am done with this treat. I'm not saying Greenies is bad, but somewhere along the years either the formula doesn't agree with him or he created an allergy against them. All I know is that the week without them, his poops were great. The general consensus is that Greenies changed their formula as many dogs were having issues digesting the treat, in some cases Greenies becoming lodged in throats. Especially when dogs who love the treat inhale them lol. So I guess to fix that issue, they made a new formula to better dissolve the treat and that may be our issue, the newer formula does not agree with our little Louie. Oh well Greenies, we had a good run. On to find a kinder treat for my pup.

Original review: April 24, 2018

We have an 8 year old German Shepherd. We started to give him Greenies approx. 2 years ago. He has a sensitive stomach, so it took some time for us to realize the vomiting was being caused by the Greenies. This is an assumption, not something our vet told us. We looked into his food, the amount of food we were feeding. Enough/not enough. Like many of the other reviewers, we are very selective when it comes to our dog's diet. Our dog gobbles the treat down so quickly then soon after will throw up. I have noticed that the pieces are whole, even if he throws up the next day. Again, this is our observation. We cut the Greenies from his diet one week ago, and he hasn't thrown up once.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have been feeding my 3 year old Chi 1 Greenie a day for 3 months. She LOVES them, and she has not yet had any issues. Two weeks ago I adopted an 8 month old Chi, so I began giving him a Greenie when his sister gets her treat. I noticed right away that he didn't gobble them up the way his sister does, but I thought it might be because he is so young. I give both my dogs the best food I know of, and they drink lots of water. My baby began have loose stools, then diarrhea. This morning I found loose stool all over my house and my puppy is scratching his skin everywhere. His Vet can't see him for 2 more days, so my only option, if this gets worse, is the Emergency Vet, which is horribly expensive.

Obviously I'm tossing the bag of Greenies and hopefully the sickness will subside very soon. I am kicking myself for being so stupid as to give him these treats. A simple little treat seemed so harmless, but his symptoms are exactly like those described by countless others here. This can't be a coincidence. I am just sick that I trusted what it said on the label of these treats (that I purchased at my Vet!) and didn't even think twice about using them.

Original review: March 18, 2018

My dog, a five year old Doberman, has a very bad reaction to these treats (Greenies Dental Treats Grain Free). I cook all his food and he has no other food, so I know nothing else is the cause. I introduced one of the treats two weeks ago and he had vomiting (moderate) and a rash that covered his body and inflamed his gums. He was mad with the itches. He scratched so much that he has ripped a chunk out of his neck. He never normally scratches and he does have fleas or anything. I must be really stupid because I thought yesterday, let's just be sure that that was really the cause and I gave him another one. Same reaction. My poor boy. He really can't tolerate these. I'm throwing the rest in the bin now. The packet says all the right things, they are good for him, vet recommended, delicious, nutritious, easy to digest - well, this just isn't true for my dog. The rash, vomiting and dry reaching lasts for 2-3 days. I'm just sorry I fed it to him twice.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My 8 pound chihuahua pug mix Molly was given a teeny Greenie one morning recently and was crying in pain a few hours later. Two vet visits later and $500 dollars spent, the treat wasn't digesting properly. She was miserable for almost a week and had to take medication and constantly watched for symptoms. I will never buy this product again, I hope no one else has to go through this with their dog.

Original review: March 1, 2018

My 8 lb chihuahua loved Greenies tiny size. Teeth were clean and breath fresh. Never a problem until it went from original shape to the toothbrush shape!! I have tried at least 6 flavors. Hates them all!!! They are expensive had to give them away. So very disappointed!!! My dog still looks for this treat!! Why couldn't they make the original shape and the toothbrush shape, sad. SHAME. Lost a good customer!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I would of rated this 2 stars if it didn't work in the past, but when I had a dog (corgi), he loved Greenies and never got sick. However, I now have a 2 year old cat, and so I bought her these treats, the chicken flavored ones, thinking I'd have the same experience with her as I did with my dog. She ended up vomiting blood and parts of the treat everywhere! At first I thought it was the water since I put her back on tap water instead of bottled, but once I took her off the treats as well, she was fine. A few weeks later, she had bottled water, same food, just her typical diet, so I decided to feed her a treat. The next day, same bloody vomit. I will not be buying these anymore for my cat, or any future pet after I read the reviews.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

My dog took Greenies pill pockets and started having diarrhea and vomit. This morning she had blood in her stools. We brought her to the vet and she was very dehydrated, they have to give her anti nausea and anti diarrhea medication. They had to give her some fluids in her skin. We will have to give her frequent meals of rice and chicken for several days and add two additional medications. This was very disturbing to me as I thought we had to put her down. Will never use this product again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

We purchased Greenies for our Pug and French bulldog in hopes to care for their teeth long term. The first evening one was throwing up and had violent diarrhea, and continued then after each daily treat. Thinking it was just the French Bulldog's system, I continued with the Pug only to have the same reactions, and getting worse each day after. Violent diarrhea, nausea and sick pets!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been giving my two lil dogs Teenie Greenies as an occasional treat for over ten years and they absolutely love them! Last ones were Pumpkin Spice and they were ecstatic about the flavor. I have NEVER had an issue with bugs or moths so people please always check your dates and product packaging. I have however found bugs in human cereal, now that truly is disgusting! But I contribute that that employees not rotating stock or checking expired dates. I will however say that if offered or eaten too frequently; Greenies can cause loose stools as is true of anything consumed too quickly, but we've never really had this issue. Greenies meet AAFCO and VOHC standards and offer satisfaction guarantee.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My dog's favorite treat is a Greenie but I am not sure I will ever buy them again. They grow maggots that turn into little moths that will eat your clothes. GROSS!! I thought it was a fluke but after 3 bags I am convinced it is not how or where I keep them but the treats themselves. I have ordered them online from Petco and Dr. Fosters and always the Teenie Weight Management Greenie. My last order was from drsfostersmith.com.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I'm one of those cat owners that believed my cat was throwing up due to aging. This was happening 2 - 3 times per month but he was healthy in every other regard. He can be a fussy eater and refused to eat his wet food. I started giving him more Greenies because he always loved them. Recently he was in distress and I brought him to the emergency vet. He was having trouble urinating. There was no blockage or crystals. Antibiotics were finished and he seemed great. Then another sudden attack and back to the vet. Once again, he had x-rays and testing with no determined reason for his reactions. He started throwing up daily, now 4 - 5 times per day.

I've been terrified and was told he would have to go back for even more tests. I started to do a lot of research online and finally realized that the Greenies might be hurting him. His symptoms seemed to indicate either Irritable Bowel Disease or Cancer. Greenies are full of gluten. I've cut him off of the Greenies. No more throwing up. He is now doing very well. While I can't say that the Greenies caused the other issues with any certainty it does have me wondering. Reading all the other reviews has really opened up my eyes.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I just read the reviews on Greenies products after starting to search for answers for what was going on with both my poor dogs. We added the Pill Pockets to their routine after trying to get them to take their regular pills with cheese or bread and having to redo a few of the attempts each day. Sadly within a week our 3.5 year old Shar Pei became very ill. She spiked a fever, became lethargic, was visibly having difficulty. Her kidney levels and glucose had crashed. Her liver was enlarged and presented with pancreatitis.

Unfortunately, she didn't make it. I didn't put this together with the Pill Pockets until our second dog began to present with the same symptoms; lethargy, soft stool, high fever, lowered appetite, and mild unresponsiveness. Thankfully we were able to turn the symptoms around much faster and he seems to be doing much better. I can't think of a single other item that would link these two different dogs' bizarre symptoms together other than the Pill Pockets. I really warn people not to use these at all!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I just purchased a 12oz bag of Bursting Blueberry Greenies in Petite for my two dogs. As I pulled one out of the bag to give to my 11 month old puppy I noticed there were little maggots crawling all over it. I'm shocked and disgusted. I purchased this bag from my local Petco store where I always buy their treats. I will never be buying this brand of treats again!

Original review: July 27, 2017

I gave my Jack-Chi, a 3 month old puppy a Greenies as a treat. When at Petco, they recommended I buy it and I had no idea it is indigestible. Why would anyone sell or recommend buying a product that causes your pet to get sick? It's shameful! Her vomit is green and pasty and she is in the hospital and the bill is going to be upwards of $830.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Our healthy indoor Maine Coon cat became extremely ill in just a matter of weeks and was diagnosed with liver disease jaundice. The only change to his diet was the addition of Feline Greenies. In doing our research we have found hundreds of other pet owners who have had similar health issues with their dogs and cats by feeding your Company's poison to our pets. We have over $1000 in vet bills with more on the way and our cat has a 50% chance that he will recover. We have all intentions in filing a complaint against your Company and starting litigation. We are aware that your Company has had multiple recalls on your products regarding health concerns but you continue to push your poison for the sake of profits. You should be ashamed.

Greenies expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

• Best for: GREENIES are best for pet owners concerned about their dog’s oral health and/or those who need to give their dog medication.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs