2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.54/5

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I have given my dog Greenies for years and really didn’t notice any adverse effects till a couple of months ago. The first sign of trouble was when he had diarrhea in the house, he never has done this before. This persisted for a few days so I took him to my veterinarian and he was placed on an antibiotic and I gave him boiled chicken and rice till his tummy settled, no treats. Fast forward one week I start to give him his regular food and a few treats...no greenies, all is well.

First day he gets a greenie and that night the diarrhea starts again, now with blood and mucous. Back to chicken rice and no treats. Good again till two weeks later gets his first greenie and it starts again. I thought maybe he had just developed an intolerance to them so knowing my brothers dog also liked greenies Gave them to him with the information about the trouble my dog had. First night his dog has diarrhea with mucous. I will never give my pets any greenie products again. I think there must be a quality control issue with the company, hope they get this resolved before something much worse happens to someone’s beloved pet.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We got the Greenies dental chews for our dog - staffy x. After the first stick, he developed very loose bowels, and after the second - he went to the toilet three times inside (which he never does) with some blood seen in the stools. His stomach is very distended and he has been laying down looking like he is in constant pain. Nothing else has changed - apart from these green nasties! DO NOT BUY, this product should be taken off the market!

Get buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2020

My one and a half year old Golden Retriever has been having bouts of severe diarrhea off and on for around 6 months. I’ve had her to the vet several times, told the vet exactly what I feed her and she was stumped, with tests being negative and exam normal. Was told to put her on Hills Science Diet I/D. My sweet girl has been on this diet several times. Diarrhea would stop, I’d then go back to her premium food for dinner and a Greenies for lunch, and the diarrhea would start again in 1-2 days. Yesterday, the diarrhea was worse than ever! Never did I suspect her being ill was due to the Greenies. After reading your reviews, I realized my poor girl is suffering from being fed a bone I thought was healthy. I’m deeply saddened to learn of several of you losing your pets to this highly toxic treat.

In retrospect, thanks to all of you, I now know why my other dear Golden (she passed a year ago) was in distress when on medication. She refused Greenies Dental Chews, but liked having her meds in a pill pocket (made by the same company). Her lethargy, bloating and moaning could’ve been avoided had the vet told me about the serious and/or fatal effects of pill pockets. Perhaps we can get these products off the market eventually by getting our vets to listen to us and take us seriously. In the meantime, may our experiences save a cat or dog’s life, I know I’m extremely indebted to all of you for saving my precious girl. Thank you!

Original review: April 14, 2020

I purchased a bag of Greenies for my German Shepherd. I gave him a sample from the vets office after he’d had his teeth cleaned; he was only about 5 years old. One night I gave him a full size large breed chew- he wolfs everything down - and the next night he started looking a little too round in his abdomen. I’d only seen this once before and I was helpless to do anything but not for lack of trying. Living 20 minutes from vet’s office and the time it would take to get the vet to her office, my dog started whining and crying. It seemed like a long time; I frantically tried everything to reverse his decline even pouring ** down his throat. In the end, all I could do was cry and hold him. I’m crying as I write this despite this having happened nearly a year ago. Use this product at your own peril. I cannot convey the extent of my emotional pain and the anger I have towards this company.

Original review: March 21, 2020

This is a painful confession, but mostly a warning for all cat lovers. I believe this product played a big part in Tomasina's health decline. Here's why. She's been tossing up her food for months. She'd have bad days and then a few good days where she would play like a kitten. Recently, my sister fed our cats the 4 days I was in SD. Tomasina didn't "toss" once. Yet, when I returned she was increasingly sick until the day I called the vet and had her euthanized. She was emaciated, hollow-eyed and losing coordination.

It was nagging at my brain so I couldn't sleep last night and began looking up reviews on "hairball control" Greenies. What I found was a lengthy story by another cat owner nearly identical to mine. A cat that reacted to the treat like a crack addict and wouldn't eat anything else, but began "tossing up" on a daily basis. The difference is that he figured it out in time. It explains why Tomasina had good days. Those were the times we ran out of her favorite treats. She was 15. I believe I failed her. (It goes without saying that Greenies has a part in it, too). If this spares even one cat owner this remorse, it's worth the confession. Please pass this on to other cat lovers.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Upon starting a 2nd bag of Greenies, the other morning my Cavalier woke me up to go outside. I had been giving her 1 each night before bedtime. She had horrific diarrhea at least 3x at 2:00 AM, 4:00 AM and again around 6:30. Each time it was very bad and sometimes bloody. At first I thought she had gotten into some cardboard, but when it happened a 2nd night after giving her one, I realized it was the Greenies. Got on the internet and read horrible stories about other dogs getting sick from them as well, including 13 dogs that had intestinal blockage and died. Threw them in the garbage today. No more greenies for my dog. They should be taken off the market.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I bought the assortment box 2 months ago for my cat. She was 17 months old at the time. I have a brush and paste I use but wanted some extra protection for her teeth. Turns out she loved them. She gets the recommended amount daily for her size. She expects them after meals now. They have even seemed to increase her appetite by 33%. Good product, made in the USA and not loaded with the trash many cat treats have. The only way your cat will benefit from them is if they chew them. Swallowing whole would defeat the purpose. Your cat should be a year old prior to starting them on Greenies.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My dog loves Greenies and I was giving her 1/2 of a Teenie Greenie, (she is 7 lbs) before bed. She begs me for them and after doing this for maybe two years, now expects it. This last week I had to bring her to the Veterinarian because she was constipated and could not poop. I tried feeding her some canned pumpkin, which was what the pet store recommended but she wouldn't touch it and by this time wasn't drinking any water either. I had to bring her to the Veterinarian so they could give her an enema. It cost me 198 dollars for the visit and the treatment.

The veterinarian didn't ask me any questions about what she was eating and gave me no advice when I picked her up. I will not go back to that veterinarian again. When I called the next day to find out what they recommended feeding her I was told canned pumpkin, which was no help but rather what I told him I had tried to feed her. I am going to stop feeding her Greenies and see if I can get another chewie treat that is good for her teeth instead. Plus I will go back to feeding her Blue Small Senior Dog as she did well on that. I had switched to the Trader Joes Brand when a friend gave me a gift card.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I used these things as a medical care provider of mine feeds the regular Greenies to his dog and I know him to be quite careful about everything. I stopped giving my puppy these things 3 weeks ago. I got her at 10 weeks and by 14 weeks, I already made the association of her diarrhea with the dental chews. She's now 17 weeks and I wanted to give her a treat, but I was out of treats except for the pill pockets. I took a bill pocket, split it in 4 and gave the treat to her. She had diarrhea soon after.

I believe the problem is with glycerin in the product. I had my own issue with a sugar free syrup that was glycerin based. I didn't know it at the time I first started using it. Within 3 days, I had awful diarrhea. It occurred to me, "How did they make a sugar free chocolate syrup?" I look at the packaging and it was almost 100% glycerin (shy of the chocolate flavoring).

I knew that glycerin should only be ingested in very small amounts for humans. I discontinued use of that product and threw it away. When my puppy was sick off the pill pockets, that's when I grabbed the Greenies dental chews and pill pockets. Both have glycerin in them as the 3rd ingredient. I am pretty sure this was what caused her bouts with diarrhea. Just say NO to pet foods and treats with glycerin in them. There is literally no reason for pet food manufacturers to use it!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

PLEASE do not EVER give your pets Greenies! We have an 8 month old kitten who is very ill. We took him to the vet twice within the last week to the tune of $700. Our little guy had been eating Greenies dental treats for his bad breath --last week he started vomiting, could not poop, stopped eating and was in a lot of pain. X-rays show that he has and enlarged colon, severe gas in his intestines and a huge stomach packed with food because he cannot digest anything.

Greenies are sold at our veterinarian's office. They seemed to be a popular brand and it wasn't like we were feeding him something from the dollar store --we thought we were giving him something that was good for him. That was NOT the case! He absolutely loved the Greenies he would come running if he heard the package being opened--we are absolutely sick that we willingly gave him something that made him violently ill. He is still not eating or acting normal. We have no idea if any permanent damage was done to his organs or digestive system. Greenies should be put out of business and there should be a class action lawsuit for all the pet parents and fur babies that have had to go through all this pain and suffering..not to mention exorbitant vet bills because of their NEGLIGENCE!

Greenies author review by ConsumerAffairs

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team