1.54/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Greenies

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Greenies Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

If your dog does not prefer these treats, but you accept that some dogs do, why would you not recognize that it is a "no-fault" situation. Why would you leave a 2 star review for something that clearly was no fault of the treat itself? My dog absolutely loves the Greenies Original, but that's just my dog. I did have a bag appear to go bad on me, but that may have been that the bag was not sealed shut properly, and only that one time. We've been using these more for the treat value than anything to do with cleaning. Vets tell me they're not "all that". Nonetheless, we like them and will continue buying them because it buys me a few minutes to my thoughts when I get home.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I board dogs in my home. These treats are great for some dogs who will chew on them. My own dog swallows them whole. They are good for the teeth. The cost is too high even on sale. I spend $80 a 25 pound bag of dog food (that’s high end) and care greatly about my dog's health and diet. I buy my dog a bark box of toys and treats for $20 a month. I only bought my dog some pumpkin Greenies because they were clearanced. Nothing can take the place of a toothbrush and dental cleanings.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Treats delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 18, 2019

My dogs loves Greenies. I would let everyone know it's good for their dogs. It's good for the bad breath and good for their health. I have 3 dogs and it could be very pricey to buy all the time. So I don't buy them very often.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I give my German Shepherd/Doberman mix the Grain-Free Greenies. She loves them even more than her other treats. They have a rather disagreeable odor, but the bag seals tightly, so it's a minor inconvenience. My only objection to this brand is that the cost is so high. If it were more affordable, I'd give her extra treats every day, but even purchasing at Chewy.com, she can only have one a day.

Original review: March 6, 2019

As of now my dogs are doing very well with Greenies. I have two dogs and both get Greenies because brushing their teeth is a hassle! They are well and really love these. They actually work to remove plaque in the experience I have had with both of my doggies. They had some pretty bad plaque build up and Greenies got rid of it. As of the reviews I'm reading here, Greenies are recommended for adult dogs, and they only just came out with a puppy and senior recipe. Be mindful of that when purchasing. Some dogs are sensitive to certain ingredients that they might not know about and when introducing a new food to your dogs ALWAYS in moderation because a new food will almost always cause an upset belly if too much is given. (I worked at Petco and you learn there that TRANSITION is KEY.)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My dog loves Greenies and I was giving her 1/2 of a Teenie Greenie, (she is 7 lbs) before bed. She begs me for them and after doing this for maybe two years, now expects it. This last week I had to bring her to the Veterinarian because she was constipated and could not poop. I tried feeding her some canned pumpkin, which was what the pet store recommended but she wouldn't touch it and by this time wasn't drinking any water either. I had to bring her to the Veterinarian so they could give her an enema. It cost me 198 dollars for the visit and the treatment.

The veterinarian didn't ask me any questions about what she was eating and gave me no advice when I picked her up. I will not go back to that veterinarian again. When I called the next day to find out what they recommended feeding her I was told canned pumpkin, which was no help but rather what I told him I had tried to feed her. I am going to stop feeding her Greenies and see if I can get another chewie treat that is good for her teeth instead. Plus I will go back to feeding her Blue Small Senior Dog as she did well on that. I had switched to the Trader Joes Brand when a friend gave me a gift card.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I used these things as a medical care provider of mine feeds the regular Greenies to his dog and I know him to be quite careful about everything. I stopped giving my puppy these things 3 weeks ago. I got her at 10 weeks and by 14 weeks, I already made the association of her diarrhea with the dental chews. She's now 17 weeks and I wanted to give her a treat, but I was out of treats except for the pill pockets. I took a bill pocket, split it in 4 and gave the treat to her. She had diarrhea soon after.

I believe the problem is with glycerin in the product. I had my own issue with a sugar free syrup that was glycerin based. I didn't know it at the time I first started using it. Within 3 days, I had awful diarrhea. It occurred to me, "How did they make a sugar free chocolate syrup?" I look at the packaging and it was almost 100% glycerin (shy of the chocolate flavoring).

I knew that glycerin should only be ingested in very small amounts for humans. I discontinued use of that product and threw it away. When my puppy was sick off the pill pockets, that's when I grabbed the Greenies dental chews and pill pockets. Both have glycerin in them as the 3rd ingredient. I am pretty sure this was what caused her bouts with diarrhea. Just say NO to pet foods and treats with glycerin in them. There is literally no reason for pet food manufacturers to use it!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

PLEASE do not EVER give your pets Greenies! We have an 8 month old kitten who is very ill. We took him to the vet twice within the last week to the tune of $700. Our little guy had been eating Greenies dental treats for his bad breath --last week he started vomiting, could not poop, stopped eating and was in a lot of pain. X-rays show that he has and enlarged colon, severe gas in his intestines and a huge stomach packed with food because he cannot digest anything.

Greenies are sold at our veterinarian's office. They seemed to be a popular brand and it wasn't like we were feeding him something from the dollar store --we thought we were giving him something that was good for him. That was NOT the case! He absolutely loved the Greenies he would come running if he heard the package being opened--we are absolutely sick that we willingly gave him something that made him violently ill. He is still not eating or acting normal. We have no idea if any permanent damage was done to his organs or digestive system. Greenies should be put out of business and there should be a class action lawsuit for all the pet parents and fur babies that have had to go through all this pain and suffering..not to mention exorbitant vet bills because of their NEGLIGENCE!

Original review: July 23, 2019

I needed to give my 12 year old beagle two pills three times a day for a urinary tract infection. I used Greenies pill pockets and I bought the 3.2 oz package that said it had "approx" 30 pills. I would be Ok with 28, or 29 or 31 - I get it approximately means not exactly 30 but it also means "near" 30. When I used them - it only had 20 pills in the package. This is grossly misleading the consumer and in my opinion leads me to distrust the manufacturer. It's hard enough in this day and age to know who to trust for the product content but to not even put the number you claim in the package leads me to grossly mistrust them. I will never buy them again. I guess I will use a good fresh piece of meat or actual peanut butter to persuade my beagle to eat pills in the future. Shame on you - Greenies! Joel ** Irvine, CA **

Original review: June 29, 2019

My Yokie loves the Teenie Greenies, all flavors. Great for her teeth. Great for her digestion. Great for her happiness. She has been eating them for over 8 years and always loves them. Say the word “Greenies” and she comes running.

Greenies expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Nutro Natural Choice, a subsidiary of the Mars corporation, owns GREENIES. Nutro has been in business since 1926, and Mars has been in the pet care industry since 1939. GREENIES manufactures dog treats with health benefits.

• Dental Chews: GREENIES Dental Chews meet the Veterinary Oral Health Council’s standards for effectiveness to control plaque and tartar. The treats come in multiple sizes and flavors.

• Pill Pockets: GREENIES Pill Pockets have a pouch that allows consumers to hide pills inside the treat to make it easier to give dogs medication. The treats are available in multiple flavors.

• Nutrition information: Consumers can visit the GREENIES website to see the full nutrition information for all the company’s products. They can also view feeding guidelines for products.

• Availability: Consumers can purchase GREENIES products at a wide variety of local and online retailers as well as in many veterinarians’ offices. A full list of retailers is available on the company’s website.

• American made: GREENIES manufactures some treats in the United States. Ingredients for the pill pockets are sourced from the United States and Canada.

• Best for: GREENIES are best for pet owners concerned about their dog’s oral health and/or those who need to give their dog medication.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs