BarkBox

BarkBox Reviews

About BarkBox

Get ready to spoil your pup with BarkBox! Every month you’ll receive TWO original toys designed in-house (with the help of their dog-obsessed toy experts), TWO full bags of all-natural treats, and ONE drool-worthy chew. Each box is built around a fun surprise theme for all dog & dog parents to enjoy. If your pup doesn’t absolutely love something, BarkBox will make it right, no questions asked!

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Options for dogs with allergies
  • High-quality ingredients
  • Customized to your dog’s size
Cons
  • Subscriptions renew automatically

BarkBox Reviews

Stars Rating

• 4%
  • 4%
  • 0%
  • 11%
  • 81%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BarkBox?

Reviewed May 7, 2024

From the very beginning, email after email, I had explain my dog did not like any of the treats, they promised they’d send only toys, that was only another run around, more emails with many different people “and the their pups”. I specifically signed up because they offered the DNA test. , Well by the 2nd month I was shelling out close to 40.00 a month, through PayPal. I’m so fed up!!!! This was my last step.

Reviewed May 6, 2024

I specifically asked when I signed up that I did not want to auto renew, but they will auto renew you anyway they make it extremely difficult to cancel and extremely difficult to contact anyone there. I’m in the middle of disputing a charge and this has been ongoing for a week now, I do not recommend this company unless you plan on staying with them for the long-haul because. They don’t make it easy.

Reviewed May 5, 2024

My dog likes all the treats. However, he is not picky when it comes to treats. He plays with the toys a little but not that much by himself. My review is for the great hassle free customer service experience I had when I asked to pause my subscription due to traveling outside of the US for half a year. They said the maximum time they could pause the subscription was for 2 months, so I asked if they could cancel my subscription, refund me the remaining amount (I paid for a 12 month subscription and there were 9 months left) and I could rejoin when I return and they said yes immediately and refunded me immediately the full 9 months amount. Very easy and hassle free experience. Thank you!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 3, 2024

It has been 13 days since I’ve placed my order with BarkBox and it has yet to be shipped. I was told 2-3 days for it to process before being shipped. I’ve gotten in touch with your chat customer service 6 times. Each time someone told me something different about when my box would ship. This is my first order from you guys and I am very disappointed. Almost 2 weeks now and my items have still not left the warehouse. The items I ordered are for my pup's Gotcha Day … And now they are going to be late. I need a real solution. Can you guys stop beating around the bush and actually make sure my package gets shipped in a timely manner? Your site says 2-8 days. This is well overdue. BarkBox needs better customer service and should not lie to paying customers about when their items will ship.

Ashleigh **

order # **

Online & App

Reviewed May 1, 2024

So back in March 2024 I canceled the subscription because at this time I could not continue to afford it. So for almost two hours I made sure it was canceled. The only thing you can do is “disable” the auto renewal through the app which you would assume that means it stops the automatic monthly purchase. But no. I find out now. So I contact them and instead they tell me that no matter what they will be taking the money until the subscription is done at the end…. Uh excuse me???? Instead of giving me my money back for them taking it for the past two months when I didn’t want it. They are now going to continue to steal from me?!?! Blatantly steal from me…. I have the screenshots of the conversation for proof as well so Jann…. Yea I will be sure to let everyone know that your company is a bunch of thieves and only care about money. Not your customer's happiness…. I would have come back when I was better financially set…. But now. I will never go back.

PriceOnline & App

Reviewed April 30, 2024

I do wish that I checked here first! My pup has NO interest in anything that came in her box. The treats are definitely not for a pup of her size (120 lbs) and she begrudgingly takes one from me. The toys are in the corner collecting dust. I wanted to try them out because it did look good on the website. HUGE mistake! They say I am locked in for 5 more boxes (month-to-month) at $35.00 a box. So, 2 toys and 2 bags of treats that she will not use? They do not care, they are getting their money, right? Who cares if the customer and pup is happy. They are on the way to the bank. Just cheaper and a lot easier for me to take her into a pet store and let her pick out what SHE wants. What toys she wants and the treats I already know for her. I wished I never tried them.

PriceStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2024

Wow I completely underwhelmed by this company. I have a small dog so he loves the boxes but they will charge your account and then it literally takes 3-4 weeks to get delivered. I have contacted them on several occasions and twice I was told that they were very sorry for the delay and they would double or deluxe the box for us and this has not happened. Also I ordered an add on for April, so I gave the extra money and it did not show up with the box. They are very apologetic but never seem to right the issue. This is only our 5th box of 12 and I am considering canceling at this point. They really need to get this figured out.

Alycia

I've had the same experience.

Reviewed April 18, 2024

Barkbox like many company's promises that the first item will be free, if you agree to pay into more products in the future. Bad business practice. Support kept beating around the bush, one person telling me that I needed to buy a different box, to then refund. Another in support tells me that I need to select the single box as I "agreed" on the plan. I go to the plan selection screen to be shown that the single box cost $35.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed April 8, 2024

The products for our rescue dog are not strong enough. We put in her breed/size weight. They send us the small dog toys that are destroyed in minutes. They are extremely cheap dog toys. The snacks are also quite cheap. They seem extremely mass manufactured and are also small. Maybe your experience will be better with smaller dogs, but for us it doesn't make sense. You also cannot cancel your subscription and they increased our price after 3 months for no reason. Customer service doesn't respond so good luck dealing with them.

Contract & TermsSales & Marketing

Reviewed April 2, 2024

I am not a fan of this company! I wish I knew they force you into a 12 month contract that you cannot break or pause. All the toys are at retail stores like Walmart, Target and Amazon so there's no point to the box. You can't skip any months and there's no flexibility. The only way they would allow me to skip ONE month was to get locked back in to a FULL YEAR contract. It's a scam and it's not worth it!!

Reviewed April 1, 2024

I am writing for a refund as my subscription I had prepaid for expired and your company took it upon themselves to charge my PayPal account, without my permission, after I repeatedly said no, I do not want to purchase any more of your items. I have had nothing but issues since the first time I clicked on your website. I am more than disappointed in the fact that I have to spend my time more than once to get money returned to me because the company takes whatever amount they want, not what is agreed upon.

Staff

Reviewed March 12, 2024

I was really excited to try BarkBox again. It's been a few years, my previous dog passed. I have a 15lb terrier now so I thought the durability, or should I say lack of, would be ideal for him. They're super cute, fun and sassy themes are just that, the quality of toys isn't there. He destroys them within minutes, not some, all!! Additionally they're super quick to ensure they charge you on the 1st of every month, but ummm...today is the 12th and our box hasn't even been packed or shipped yet. It's gets to us later and later in the month with each box. All around disappointing!

Reviewed March 5, 2024

I hope this is helpful. Do not sign up for BarkBox! Customer service = garbage. Transparency = Garbage. Products = Garbage. Company as a whole = garbage. Didn't deserve 1 star! This was by far the worst experience I have ever had and jumped off the Empire State Building onto a bicycle with no seat!!!

Customer ServicePriceOnline & App

Reviewed March 1, 2024

Caution: if you don't wish to continue using this service, you must cancel the auto-renewal feature online. I purchased 6-month BarkBox subscriptions for my two dogs. To be honest, I found the products gimmicky and not worth the cost. Attempting to cancel the auto-renewal on their website, I succeeded in canceling only one subscription due to the site's user-unfriendliness. I made numerous attempts to contact their customer service to cancel the other subscription's renewal, especially since I'm now earning less and can't afford it. However, they never responded or acknowledged my messages. While I accepted the initial 6-month subscriptions, I expected a response regarding the renewal, now I'm stuck paying for another cycle. Don't expect any help from this company. I recommend staying away from them.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2024

The first month of this subscription was great. We received three stuffed Christmas themed toys and four (small-ish) bags of treats the week between Christmas and New Year's. Since then I am charged at different times of the month and the box doesn’t ship on any regular date. Since subscribing I have received numerous emails about special “sign up” gifts, none of which are available for current customers. I’m not renewing after the 6-month period is done (can’t cancel it sooner). Toys are the same price as in the marketplace and the snacks aren’t worth it.

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2024

I just cancelled my subscription to Bark Box. I am writing this to express my disappointment. We were so excited to receive our first box, filled with toys from the island of misfit toys. It was spectacular! You can’t imagine our utter disappointment when this month's box arrived. We opened the box to see a city scape insert showing several city themed toys, only to find two small toys that weren’t even indicated on the insert. Toys we could have purchased separately for less than $10. It made us regret ever looking at your service in the first place.

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

I placed one single order back in November 2023 and since then they sending their product months. They faked my “subscription“. Quality are very low and unsafe for dogs because products just falling apart. The phone and email are fake

Reviewed Jan. 1, 2024

Not only did they auto renew me for $230 with no notice but they’ve got no customer service either. They’ve got a phone number that goes nowhere and I don’t know if any living people actually work there. Shop for your pup on Amazon.

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2023

I have had this subscription for over a year and did not know I would be charged an auto renewal. I was not informed via email that the renewal was coming up. Now I want to cancel and I cannot get a hold of anyone over the phone. They only allow chat and email messages. When I tried chatting, there was nobody that responded. When emailed, I did get a response but the person would only try to sell me other items and avoided the conversation of refund and cancelation all together. Because of this my entire experience with this company is ruined and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2023

Due to consistent delivery issues, I decided to cancel auto-renewal of my 12-month subscription which was set to end in 3 months. I was sad to cancel and decided to reach out to the company via chat to explain why I’d made the decision and also to request a replacement of a damaged toy I received in this month’s box. So what does the agent do? He immediately cancels my account, and I then had to spend close to an hour with another chat representative to get my account restored - which she could only do by putting me back on another 12-month subscription! So now instead of 3 months left, I have 12.

I requested a transcript of the chat so I can again cancel in 3 months and she never sent it to me despite promising she would. I could not be less happy with Barkbox right now. All the aggravation is not worth the nice boxes - especially when they consistently take multiple weeks to arrive after I’m charged. I feel completely duped, and having read the other issues here, I have no confidence that I’ll be able to cancel again in 3 months. I believe this “miscommunication” as they called it was intentional to hook me into another year when I expressed my intention to cancel at the end of the year.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2023

I signed up for the standard Barkbox but after the first delivery arrived, I realized I somehow got the dental subscription. Trying to get this fixed has been a nightmare. The Customer service number doesn’t take calls, the Chat feature takes so long to answer that it times out, and the email correspondence takes 48-72 hrs to reply. I just got my second dental box and sent it back. I foolishly prepaid for an upfront discount and now I’m afraid I’ll be eating the cost. I know that I’ll not be able to reach anyone to cancel it and get a refund. Buyer beware-don’t work with this company. At this point, it’s a scam.

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

BarkBox started out great. Their customer service was wonderful. Now all they care about is up-selling when you have any issues. For the last 6-8 months, my boxes have been taking 3-4 weeks at least to arrive. I am charged on the first and don't get my box until the end of the month. In July, they switched our shipping to FedEx which was perfect, but then promptly took that away. I feel like it was simply to get us to stay another month. My box this month didn't ship for over two weeks and will take an additional two weeks to get here. Customer service is always willing to double the box or provide a free month, but they refuse to solve the real problem which is the shipping carrier they are using.

When I talked to Brandi today, who is supposedly a member of the leadership team, all she could do was apologize and tell me that nothing is going to change, but she will send the info up the chain. This is the same thing they have said for the last 6 months. I cancelled and will spend my money with a company who cares about their customers moving forward. There are plenty of other subscription services to choose from.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2023

We started Barkbox in memory of a dear friend's dog passing and we had a new puppy that liked to chew. One big issue that totally ruined it for us. We live on a private road and USPS does not have to come down our street at all. With our jobs and hours we can not go to our post office Mon-Fri. Our small town post office is only open for 2 hours on Saturday. If we can not make it there the package is returned. We let them know that we needed another delivery company and it was great until I received an email that they will no longer give preferred delivery methods. Well confirmed by two other staff members. We can no longer use their services. This just is not very good customer service. If I want anything delivered I should get the option, when paying shipping, how it is delivered!

Reviewed June 15, 2023

We have now had several times boxes not show up. We have gotten two responses "We will double your pup's box for next month" or you get two of the same boxes. The arrival of boxes is erratic. You can get one box on the last week of the month and the next a week or two later. Then not again for 6 or 7 weeks. One of the serious downfalls of this subscription is the difficulty in canceling. For example, if you sign up for 6 months, after 6 months you are auto renewed and if you cancel you owe for 6 months. If you are anywhere not in the renewal, you are stuck purchasing. We are currently working with the credit card company to reverse charges for boxes that were not shipped. As far as the toys, they are cute and themed but don't necessarily last that long. The snacks are high quality and the themes are fun and relatable.

Reviewed May 13, 2023

I have tried to cancel my subscription three times and my credit card is still being charged. I had to cancel my credit card to stop these charges. I was going to reach out to the Attorney General of Barkbox's home state, and then I saw it was lawless NY. No one prosecutes any crimes like this in New York anymore, I'm on my own.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed April 16, 2023

The quality of the toys is top notch. The price is definitely a good deal, especially since many toys have another inside for those that like to tear them up. The themes are so fun, you'll look forward to it as much as your dog. Customer service is exceptional! I've been a customer for almost two years and it has been a positive experience in every way. Once, a toy was torn apart (new Pittie pup) in 20 minutes. They replaced it for free. The treats are great quality...and I am very particular about what I feed my dogs. Yes, there may be something extra when you sign up that ends after the first year. It is up to you to read before hand. Or, ask later if you notice a change. Customer service thru text or email is very fast and friendly. I have never been disappointed in any way.

Reviewed March 27, 2023

Barkbox is unfortunately one of the several subscription services that attempts to bring in new users through discounts then makes cancelling your account near impossible. The toys are poor quality and durability and once you realize this and try to cancel your subscription, they are intentionally deceptive about "updating your subscription" instead of allowing you to stop future payments. Bad experience all around.

Reviewed March 18, 2023

BarkBox traps you in joining by offering a free extra for first timers. Which seems to be the trend with subscription services. I realized signing up I had to participate for 6 months. I was renewed for another 6 months, and you cannot get out of it. The toys are the same, my dog at this point destroys them in 30 minutes so it’s not worth it for me. I have had shipping problems and delays. Two of my boxes we received weren’t the themes of the month, that was disappointing. The biggest disappointment with this company is they take your money out at the beginning of the month and you don’t get your items until the 17th of the month. The company will make things right when needed, I personally will just go to the pet stores to purchase items for my dog.

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2023

I feel like the subscription is misleading. I bought what I thought was a one time box, later to find out I am on for a year. 90% of the treats we get we give away because our dog won’t touch them. The toys are ok but we get some that’s way too big for our Morkie. Seems a company trying to make its way with superior customer service would take into account when someone wants to cancel. Not Barkbox. Then you need to manually change your subscription which in my case was to cancel it, so it don’t auto renew. I get auto renewing but that should be a customer choice, not a default. Again we come back to customer service. So clearly they are out for the dollar not the reputation as a great company. Once my year is up I’m out and will never use a box subscription for my pet again. If they need treats we have a Walmart.

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2023

My dog Max passed away two weeks ago and I contacted BarkBox to cancel their product. They immediately gave me a refund for my last box with Max without me asking for it. It was just a nice gesture. They also sent me sympathy cards with an artist who drew Max for me. They just simply asked to email a picture of Max and to my surprise, the artist drew him. They even followed up to ask if I was ok. Max loved his BarkBox so much that I decided to keep sending to my son's dog. Thank you Barkbox, companies like you are difficult to find.

BarkBox Company Information