1.41/5

Need a background check company?

PeopleFinders.com

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

View More View More

69 PeopleFinders.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I retrieved my credit report through an online service while car shopping. This site came and state I needed to pay a $1 fee to continue to retrieve my report. I got the report and IMMEDIATELY cancelled the service yet my card was billed monthly at $39.95. When I called customer service to request a refund I was given the runaround. I escalated my call to a supervisor who basically told me I was out of luck. He refused to refund the charges, was rude and condescending. I closed my card to avoid any more unauthorized charges but can't seem to get this company to refund what they took without my permission.

Teresa,

Our company does not offer any type of credit report services. I would be happy to look into this for you to see if you had made any type of purchase with PeopleFinders.com. However, it does like like you've contacted a different company. If you would please privately send me your email address that you used to make the purchase with, I would be more than happy to double check for you.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I obtained a background check with inaccurate criminal information that I know are 10 years out of date. I would like to know the source of where this information is coming from to get this inaccurate information corrected.

Gwendolyn,

Each state has different laws set into place as to what they can release. We allocate criminal records from three sources in each state, the DOC , the AOC and the DPS. These different departments release different types of records such as felonies, misdemeanors and traffic infractions. Every state has limitations on what they can release, you will need to check with your state departments regarding public coverage to see what is available.

PeopleFinders.com

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

NEVER use this company. THIS IS A SCAM. I paid $3 for a reverse phone lookup in 2015 and they’ve been charging my credit card $25 per month for THREE YEARS. When I contacted customer service, they were useless.

Hello Corinna,

We do have a lot of different products on the website, it sounds as though there may have been a membership signed up with. I am more than happy to look into this for you. I would need you to privately send me your email address on file with us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

A family member has a history of dating people who claim to be divorced but are still married. Wanted to see if family member's boyfriend was divorced or not. This site was recommended by a county. Paid for a PDF form because this was my first experience with these types of sites so just opted for a PDF record copy. When I received the report, it stated how there was no marriage or divorced record found. That was the whole point of purchasing this report. All it told me was information I already knew and didn't need. Very disappointed with this outcome. Waste of time and $10.45. Would not recommend and claiming to be "free public search" is also very misleading because these types of sites always want you to pay for some sort of membership. Glad I did not opt for the trial or any other services. Will be checking next month to make sure they did not opt in in some sort of membership service to collect money.

Hello Janny,

Although PeopleFinders provides public records, we do not create or modify them in any way. We are only able to display the information provided in each record, so we cannot guarantee their accuracy or any type of record that may or may not be available. We do not see this information until you pay to run the search. We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please privately provide me with your email address on file so that I may assist you further.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Horrible service. I ran a background check on a potential tenant. All the personal info such as full name, date of birth, relatives, etc was correct. It was for the person I was running a check on. The criminal background check however was for a different person. The race was wrong and the date of birth didn't match. I called their customer service and they refused to refund my money or fix the issue. They recommended another website which just happens to be owned by them.

Hello Mary,

It is actually against our terms of use to run a background check for tenant screening purposes because we are not an FCRA compliant company. In that case, we would definitely cancel out your account and refer you to a company that does screenings. Please privately send me your email address on file so that I may look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I wanted to look up a SINGLE report and I accidentally selected a 6 month membership that was $59!!! I just wanted one report and I called for a refund and they stated they can't give a refund. I only needed a single report not a whole 6 month membership like come on now... bad customer service on top of it. I wasn't even asking for a full refund but after I've been through I need a full refund.

Hello Jassmine,

I would be more than happy to assist you in this matter. If you would please privately send me your email address on file with us, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I used the reverse phone number search for a cell number in Washington state. After compiling a report, a message appeared which said "Success! Full address available." So, I paid $3.95 for a one-time report. When it appeared, there was no address. When I asked for a refund, they said that I only paid for a search, no any results, AND gave me an address for a person with a different name who lives in California, not Washington. I just repeated my search, and got the SAME message: Full address available. This is plainly dishonest.

Mark,

We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please privately provide your email address on file with us so that we may assist you further.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I paid the 29.99 for a full report. I received name, phone number, and last known address. Everything you can see before you pay. When I contacted them for a refund they said they would give me one free report, that they don’t issue refunds. Why would I try that again? And if there was more than one person I needed to look into why would I pay for just the one... Their site promises all this info and then doesn’t deliver. False advertising. If there’s no info on the person they should tell you that before they offer you all this info that they don’t have.

Hello Brittney,

I am very sorry that you had this experience. Normally, we would not provide refund for our background checks; simply because we are running the search on your behalf to see what is available on an individual, not to return any specific result. We are unable to guarantee any type of results on a particular record. I am more than happy to rectify this for you. Please privately send me your email address on file so that I may assist you further.

PeopleFinders

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

If you get a charge from this company that is unwarranted, simply ask the customer service of your credit card to do a "chargeback". You will not only get your money back, but it will eventually cost this company money because they get charged a fee when a customer does chargebacks due to their fraudulent activity. I went to the site often over the years simply to verify dob and name, for a small fee, but recently like many others I was charged for a full background check when I didn't wish for one at all. They will not give you a refund no matter how long you've been a customer so just do a chargeback and never use this site again. When I spoke to customer service at Visa it seems they are aware of this companies scams so they do and will promise your money back if you are sincere and have good standing. These companies do not have good standing so don't be afraid to complain to your card company.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

They require significant information about you to "verify" the account. This information then appears to be sold to others using their service. If there's any problem with your account, and you can't resolve the login problem, your Credit card number associated with that account is not usable on any other accounts - so you have no recourse to continue service. Their customer service is atrocious.

Mike,

We apologize for any miscommunication during your usage with us. You are allowed only one account per credit card number, this is to prevent multiple charges on the same credit card number that may lead to the same service. We absolutely do not sell customer's private account information. We would be more than happy to look into the issue for you. Please message me your account information so that I may assist you further.

Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I signed up for a trial review for $1.99. This corrupt business has charged my card since then, even though there was nothing in the online agreement for me concurring to this. I've had to resort to changing my credit card rather than pursue legal recourse because it's an invasion of my serenity. If I could score a minus 5, I would. DON'T USE THEM!!!

Hi Ronda,

I would be more than happy to look into this for you. As of right now, I am unable to locate an account for you with the information I have available. Please send me a private response with your full name or email address on the account with us, I look forward to your reply.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: July 16, 2018

Peoplefinders has terrible customer support!!! I don't have an issue with the search portion of the site, it's just the fact they send me some stupid form email letter to opt out of my number & name being displayed in reverse phone# search field. It's always "we can't find that listing nonsense of theirs" sighs, well it's coming up every time when I do a search. So someone's not smelling their own BS, or very incompetent at the least. Neither is good IMO, SMH. :(

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your request to opt out from the website. If you would send me a private message with your information that you are showing on the website, I would be happy to take a look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ordered a 1 time background check for $1.95, 5 days later a charge for a monthly subscription shows up on my credit card. Okay, I failed to read the very small print on page 5, I accepted that charge as a my fault. I go to the "my account" page and cancel, but I get a notice that I can still use the site for the month of my paid subscription. So, I run a background check on a neighbor and WHAM, almost immediately, I get a notification that PeopleFinders charged my credit card $11.95. I call PeopleFinders and was told I only bought the basic search of name (I already knew the name), the address (again, this was known to me) and phone number (again, already knew that), and 3 email addresses (didn't care about those). So that is why I paid $11.95, plus the $19.95 for the basic worthless information. I did get the report, but it basically cost me $32.00.

These little facts seem to be very well hidden on the page. They did provide what they promised. But be careful when you order anything from them. That 1 check for $1.95 will lock you into a subscription with no refunds, and it will be the basic that is really of no value. I mean in order to request the report you need a name, address, but they charge you to give you that. Just be careful and keep in mind if you do order, READ EVERY LINE or you will be paying for worthless information because you already know it.

Hello Terry,

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you could please send me a private message wit your full name and email address, I will get this matter handled. I look forward to hearing from you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 21, 2018

Ordered two reports from them. The first one was just relatives, so the second one I paid for a background check on a relative and got just her birthday, age, and one address for her, which was something I already knew. When I called the man at customer care, he refused to give me a refund... This is definitely a RIP-OFF company. Don't waste your time or money!!!

Hi Alicia,

I would be more than happy to assist you with this matter. I am unable to locate an account for you to be able to assist you further. If you could please send me a private message with your email address and full name so that I can take a look into this for you that would be great.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 20, 2018

The information on this website vs. the information on other websites I ended up using for only $1 was inaccurate. In addition the charges were more than advertised and their advertising/pricing is totally deceptive.

Hello Joseph,

We sincerely apologize that you had this experience with our company. If you would, please send me a private response with your account information with us, I would be more than happy to get this rectified for you. I look forward to hearing from you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 23, 2018

$10.45 for literally nothing. All I wanted was a wedding date that I knew existed, it's just that the particular state doesn't post online. These yahoos didn't have it and a ton of other information that should have been there if this was a reputable service. I eventually found Ancestry.com and got what I wanted. Lots more information and $9.95 rather than 29.95/month! I am sure there are others and I am not affiliated with any of them. Just felt PeopleFinders.com is a total ripoff. Nothing that isn't freely available on the internet.

Hi Donald,

Our website offers the most current public record information available. However, there is some information that specific counties will not give out online to record databases. This may have been the case for the records you were looking for with us. We do offer different report options and memberships on our website, so the pricing depends on what you are wanting. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Peoplefinders.com

Original review: May 22, 2018

I paid $3.95 for a search on the 18th of may. Later that day, may 18th, I went to their website and cancelled. They now charged me $29.+ for a monthly fee. You cannot stop them from taking your money even after you cancelled. They are a major scam!!! Run, don't walk away from this site!

Hi Tony,

I sincerely apologize that this was your experience with our company. Based on your information that is available, I am unable to locate your account with us so that I may rectify this for you. If you could please send me a private response with your full name and email address that you used with us, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 21, 2018

I think a background check on the thieves at PeopleFinders is in order. They take credit card then you can't log in, Scam?! Find another site if you want information, the only info you get here is "Login" then nothing happens!

Hi David,

We are unable to locate an account for you to be able to further assist you. If you would, please send me a private response with your full name and email address. If you are not able to log in to access what you have paid for, we would definitely like to rectify this for you. Once I have your information, I will be able to further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 14, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would. I paid for a public report & I received no info but names & former addresses! Website states births, marriages, divorces, etc are to be included! Absolute waste of money! When I requested refund it was denied! Buyer beware! They take your $ & you get nothing in return! I only wish I would have read customer reviews before I paid!

Hello,

Our site does give you the results on the searches the customer is referring to. However, we offer different price points for different products. Basic reports will give you name, phone number and address. Our comprehensive reports will give you further information such as marriages, divorces, criminal history, property information, etc. You would be asked to upgrade the report if you are only paying for basic information and are requesting more. Thank you.

PeopleFinders

Original review: May 10, 2018

Wanted a $1.95 one time report to locate a phone number for an old friend. We got the report, but we were also charged $12.48 for a membership. When I called to inquire about this charge, I was told it could not be removed. The report had several numbers listed, and when I clicked on a phone number, I was told that automatically ran another report. Nowhere on this site did it tell me this could happen. What a scam!

Hello,

We are unable to locate an account for the customer based on the information provided. It sounds as if the customer selected a post transaction offer for 50% off the regular priced membership. If the customer could email me directly, I have sent a private message with my email; I would be more than happy to look into this and get it rectified. Thank you.

customercare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: April 30, 2018

PeopleFinders Review. I selected a .95 one time fee to display the owner of a phone. PeopleFinders provided a fake name that I validated through state and county databases and refused to provide a full report. I immediately realized I was scammed, and cancelled. They charged me $2.95 to cancel. I emailed them and KC responded stating I agreed to the charge when I opted for a 'free trial membership'. I did not opt for the membership and have screenshots showing such. The $2.95 cancellation fee only applied to membership selections. They refused to refund. I found they also hide a "LIMITED GUARANTEE" on their site basically stating they can provide you inaccurate information and you still have to pay. I've filed complaints for false and deceptive advertising practices with the FTC, CFPB and BBB. I hope it was worth the $3, PeopleFinders, AKA Confi-Check!

Hello,

We do show that we have already assisted the customer in this matter on 5/1/2018. We have explained what she signed up with, which was a trial membership for $2.95 along with her original report for $0.95. We have credited back the account fully, we apologize for any confusion on the website. We have also advised that, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee accuracy of data, which is why it can sometimes be incorrect. Again, we apologize for the confusion.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 28, 2018

I only got a name that current address was not even up to date and I have billed and billed numerous times $.99, $1.99 over and over monthly. Now I get billed 2499. Something's got to be done. This is ridiculous. You are ripping people off for nothing.

Hello,

We did not find an account using the information you supplied. Please call us at the number listed below so we can help you with your account.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

Saturday-Sunday 7:00AM-3:30PM (PST)

Original review: March 23, 2018

I paid $0.95 for a free trial. They didn't even get the right name for the guy who had the number for 10 years. They gave me nothing of what they said they were going to give me and charge me almost $4 for 30 seconds non-useful information. I don't know who's letting him get away with this stuff but they are stealing from people.

Hello Jennie,

PeopleFinders.com obtains information from a variety of public records sources, but we do not create or modify these records in any way. If a phone number was not listed in your report or is showing something other than expected, it is because the owner has not reported the number to a public records source. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. PeopleFinders provides addresses, email and other information to help you contact most any person in the United States.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Terrible! Misleading. Used to find address for old friend. Charge was indicated as $4.95. They hit my debit card for $44.95. Shame on me for trusting anything on the internet. BOA contacts me for fraud alert. They believe I'm not that stupid. I cancelled with people finders. Before the bank shut them off they went in again and hit my account. Called into PeopleFinders, they go out of their way to anger you into hanging up and moving on... do not use!!!

Hello Scott,

Please contact us so we can go over your billing and explain what you were billed for an why.

Please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I used this service and apparently didn't cancel before the free membership expired. That was fine. I paid the $24.95 renewal fee. I then contacted PeopleFinders.com to cancel my membership. They assured me that I couldn't be refunded for the money which was fine, but now I was charged again.

Hello Mary,

If you were charged again after you cancel please call us so we can look into this.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

When I did a 1 time search to test the product, I did a search on my own phone number which I have had for 20 years. All returns info was totally incorrect and when I asked for a refund, I was denied and they said they make no claims about accuracy. Total scam. They falsely target people.

Hello Dave,

PeopleFinders.com obtains information from a variety of public records sources, but we do not create or modify these records in any way. If a phone number was not listed in your report or showing under someone else’s name, it is because the owner has not reported the number to a public records source. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team at (800) 718-8997.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I signed up for a trial subscription in June 2017 as I wanted to find one address. I canceled that trial within the 5 day period. However, it appears that PeopleFinders has continued to charge me $24.55 per month since then. I didn't realize what this charge was when it appeared on my credit card as it is not state PeopleFinders as the source. I was finally able to figure it out. When I spoke to customer service today, I was able to get 5 months credit.

I believe that I should get credit for all of the months back to June as I never signed up to pay this. I have an email with an order confirmation for June 6, 2017 for $5. I do have any thing from PeopleFinders showing another upgrade account, as I did not sign up. I have not used PeopleFinders during that time at all, and that can be verified. I know that there are numbers complaints regarding unauthorized billing and I am very angry about spending this money for a service I did not authorize or utilize.

Hello,

The charge of $24.99 is for PeopleFinders Rewards program. You signed up for a 7-day trial on 6/26/2017. We did not receive notification that you wished to cancel this within your 7-day trial period, therefore you were billed $24.99 and for every month thereafter.

As stated in our Terms of Use, we do not typically offer refunds for the product you ordered. While we are unable to offer you a full refund, keep in mind we refunded over half the charges and canceled the auto renewal.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Deceptive billing, charged 24.95 on 2nd of month then 24.99 on 5th of the month. Cancelled online on Jan 31st. Was billed Feb 2 & 5th again. Called and was told I did not cancel in time and that I had only cancelled my regular membership not my rewards membership which I did not sign up for. I was told I could use the services thru Mar 7th, but they would not cancel both memberships immediately and refund my money. Total SCAM! I was going to use this for new employee screening but the information supplied was no more than I could from a google search. Terrible service.

Hello Phil,

We are unable to locate the account with the info you provided. Please call us at 800-718-8997 to review your account

To run pre-employment screenings or tenant screening, you will need to work with a company that is FCRA compliant. You will also need to obtain a release from each applicant before you run the search. Our service only provides public data (voter registration, property ownership, etc.) and we do not guarantee our results because of this. We are not FCRA compliant.

Resolution response: Aug. 22, 2018

Thank you for your response. I understand the complexities of data aggregation especially from state to state. However, I have found another service that was able to return much more data than yours, perhaps your crawlers or your data warehouse pull is flawed. I am sure your service fits the bill for others; however, it simply was the most lacking of the "big name" aggregators that I tried before landing on another service. Again, thanks for your response; perhaps in the future, your algorithms will be better suited for more discerning users. Just the fact that you actually responded speaks to your companies desire to improve and clarify the complexities of data aggregation.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Either this company's access to public information is extremely flawed or it is a scam. I searched a KNOWN person in my family that has a lengthy criminal record and currently incarcerated. None of this came back in the check. The only valid info was known relatives, which had many gaps. STAY away from this service if you are using to check on someone for your safety. Simply inaccurate information. Because I know the person I searched, I found accurate information on the open internet. DO NOT use this as any sort of standard for a comprehensive background check. For those who complained that they were billed inaccurately. Their billing and trial dates and costs are clearly stated. Stop clicking through things to get to the end.

Hello David,

We apologize you were unable to find what you were looking for. When it comes to Criminal records, each state has different laws set into place as to what they can release and what is considered “public record”.

We allocate criminal records from three sources in each state, the DOC, the AOC and the DPS. Every state has limitations on what they can release, you will need to check with your state departments regarding public coverages to see what is available.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We are a small business. We signed up for PeopleFinders because we got tired of being scammed by customers. Most customers are wonderful, but a few small time criminals slip through and can cause a small mom and pop business like ours some significant financial damages. Unlike most people we did read the fine print, we knew of what it would cost us. After trying this and that, we settled on a monthly membership, so that we could run a background search any day we need it. Some months we don't need to search, some months we do one or two searches.

We like the fact that as soon as anything out of the ordinary happens we can run a search and get to "check off" a point for misunderstanding or for possible illegal shenanigans. While we don't decline service based of the results of the search, it helps us be on guard ahead of time. Now cheaters can't so easily take advantage of our good and trusting nature and desire to accommodate everyone. PeopleFinders is very helpful. What would make them better is if their search results were more accurate and up to date. For instance they don't have info on people from before the world got to do everything on the internet, but rather have info on more recent activities. So finding someone from long long ago is problematic.

Hello Elena,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write us a review, thank you for your feedback, PeopleFinders is always looking to improve our site features. We will be sure to send your feedback to our enhancement team.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

PeopleFinders.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs