2.64/5

Need a background check company?

PeopleFinders.com

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

Need a background check company?

118 PeopleFinders.com Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 19, 2019

I have tried to cancel & they keep billing. DON’t get sucked in. Aug 2017 I used to search and they have been billing me since then every month. $24.99. I have called and canceled on credit card. They changed name. They are ridiculous! I have screen shots that prove this too.

Hello,

We are PeopleFinders.com. You have sent a screenshot for PeopleFinder.com, no(s) at the end. We apologize for the confusion but you will need to contact them for further assistance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 18, 2019

This place is a scam! Did not even show basic information. Cancelled within the trial period! Was still charged for 29.95. Called to complain because when I tried to logged in it said I had no account even though I’d been charged! Called to complained. Was told I would only get 27$ not the full amount because I didn’t cancel in time. Was hung up on and called back. Was told the manager would call me back!! Complete scam!!!

Hello,

I apologize that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to review your account and look into this billing issue for you. If you could please send me your email address on file, I would be more than happy to further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. Absolute scam ripoff. This report contained so little information, it told me there were no records for things I KNOW there are records for - like my marriage to the person I searched. And the Trial Period offer on the website says I would be billed for $2.95 (I took a screenshot), but the email confirmation says I am billed for $3.95. I presume the company figures if they keep the cost to a few bucks, nobody is going to take the time to say anything about this ripoff company. Meanwhile, they're fleecing thousands of people for $4 a pop - it adds up. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE.

Hello,

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee any type of information that may or may not be available in your search as all states have different stipulations on what they offer. We do let you know that there is a limited guarantee upon making your purchase. I am more than happy to look into the billing issue for you to see if there was a mistake that was made. Please send me your email address on file with us so that I can further assist you.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Signed up for the $1 trial which claims unlimited access but you only get 1 background search. I'm a (Jr.) and it didn't even show me myself, only my Dad's info with my age. I tried cancelling my membership right before the trial period ended and I be charged the $19.95. Me not knowing there was a second "confirmation" page clicked the "x" in the upper right hand corner and then noticed the charge on my statement yesterday.

I sent an email about the issue and requested that they get me my refund as soon as possible and they replied with "Our records show that you have already successfully cancelled your membership online," obviously not even responding to my refund request. I then sent in another email regarding my refund and their lack of a response, and they said "Our records indicate that you were assisted with this matter. Your membership is cancelled. Unfortunately, we do not offer refunds for the product you ordered. You will not be billed again." I will never use this company again, and anyone looking for a background search should just check with their local county.

Hello,

I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with your purchase and that there has been some confusion with your product. I am more than happy to look into this for you to see if there is anything that we can do to resolve this. If you could please send me your email address on your account so that I can look further into the issue.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 14, 2019

I enrolled for the free trial. I ran 6 or 7 reports the first day. None of the reports were factual, if I could find the people I was looking up. I immediately cancelled the trial. In fact I sent in the information 3 times and never got an acknowledgement it was cancelled. Then I received my bank statement and PeopleFinders took out $24.95. They said I cancelled the subscription and wouldn't be billed again. I guess this company can only make money by scamming innocent people out of their money. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!! THEY AREN'T LEGITIMATE!!! READ ALL OF THE REVIEWS FROM UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS. There are tons of bad reviews. They will take your money without batting an eye!!! Worst reports in the world. No factual information!!!! Scam artists to say the least.

Hello Leica,

I am truly sorry that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you would please send me your email address on file, i would be more than happy to resolve the issue for you.

PeopleFinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 13, 2019

I was charged 25 dollars a month for two months for a membership I did not sign up for. I paid for a reverse phone lookup, which apparently came with a trial membership. They have charged my credit card twice and I had no idea I had a membership or was being billed until today when I checked my statements from the past couple of months. What really upsets me is that even though I had this so-called membership, then I also paid 6 dollars per background check which aren't even included in the membership. Not only that but I bought a background report from this company that had no information about someone's criminal records. When I asked customer service about this then they told me they were not required to have valid information listed in their background checks. So this entire site is basically a scam website.

Hello,

It sounds like there might be a membership attached to your account. I would love the opportunity to take a look into your account to try and resolve this issue for you. If you could please send me your email address on file, I would be more than happy to take a further look.

Best regards,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 23, 2019

This company is a scam. I ordered a $0.95 phone number lookup. As I went through the registration I declined all other services. I even received an email receipt for $0.95. They then billed my a total of $3.90 and when I canceled within 24 hours and they refused to refund the extra fees. Their customer service kept telling me I agreed to this. I am sure I did not. I am a senior executive and Chief Information officer. I know exactly what I agreed to. It is crazy they would argue over $3.90. It shows they have very shady business practices.

Hello,

I am very sorry that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to look into the issue for you. If you could please send me your email address on file, I am more than happy to assist you further.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 21, 2019

Beware giving your credit card information to this company. I signed up for a trial and cancelled the same day, expecting to pay the advertised trial rate - $5 or thereabouts. The company continued to bill me until I noticed it a month later for a total of $80.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 20, 2019

I used PeopleFinders one time with zero results. They said I had a free 7 day membership. I realized 5 minutes after, this was probably not a good idea, so I immediately cancelled the membership. A day later they have already charged my credit card 3 times. Once was for $.47, the other time was for $.48 and the next time was for $24.95. I called my credit card company to dispute. Scam!

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 9, 2019

Like many others my experience using PeopleFinders for a one-time background search was one in which I felt totally ripped off. The PF search returned almost NO INFO, and less than a simple Google search (which indicated the individual in question has an extensive police record). PF came back with "No records found" on almost every section. I gained ZERO from their service. In addition I paid extra for an emailed version of their "report" which never came, and when I went back into the "report" & clicked the email option their website wanted to charge me again. I contacted them stating my experience was totally unsatisfactory & that I wanted a refund. Guess what: NO RESPONSE. This company has no right to solicit business.

Hello Steve,

I am very sorry that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to look into the account for you. If you could please send me your email address, I would be happy to rectify the issue for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 6, 2019

What is the $9.95 charge on my card? I only signed up for a one time use and not a membership. Getting charged extra even though I declined them!! I only wanted a printout of a person who was using our rental as their permanent address even though we didn't even know the person.

Hello,

I am more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you could please send me your email address on your account I would be more than happy to rectify this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 5, 2019

Since 1999 PeopleFinders started their site to find anyone anywhere information. They started this 3 day trial for so many pennies on the dollar. Then if you don't cancel in them 3 days it charges you for their highest membership. But I tried them the other night for the .95, put in my bank info. Didn't get nothing that they claimed they done. Was trying to find a phone located, gave them the number. The phone is mine and someone else using it. Instead of tracking the phone gave addresses of stuff about who had my phone. They have always make it hard to cancel but too easy to get scammed for those pennies that turn into lots of dollars. I tried finding out how to cancel this 3 day trial. My bank started sending me fraud alerts. I immediately called them on the fraud hotline.

They asked had I made a purchase for 5 different things, to tell them which was correct, 3 were previous things I bought with my card. 2 items were .95 the other was 24.95. Now remember this was only maybe an hour from signing on to PeopleFinders. They had done charged my bank account 24.95. I was only 1 hour in to their site. If I hadn't had a super banking system they would have got that 24.95. folks don't use any sites that want to charge for a 3 day trial. It's a scam. PeopleFinders started years ago and many companies have picked up on. I'm not saying PeopleFinders invented the scam but I remember years ago they got me and I had to threaten them. I had forgot about it till they tried it again.

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not track devices. A reverse phone report will simply give you information on who owns the phone number. I am more than happy to look into your account to make sure your trial is cancelled. Please send me your email address if you would like me to follow up with you.

PeopleFInders.com

Original review: June 2, 2019

I used PeopleFinders one time with zero results. They said I had a free 7 day membership. It hasn’t even been the 7 days and they already charged my credit card 3 times. Once was for $.47, the other time was for $.48 and the next time was for $24.95. I called my credit card company and they told me that they get many phone calls everyday from people that have been scammed from PeopleFinders.com.

Michelle,

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 1, 2019

I bought a one time one person background check for a woman who wrote me bad checks. I then was charged automatically for a recurring membership. I did not sign up for a membership although I was offered that. Beware of giving them your credit card information, as they will charge you when they want. Their policy is not to give refunds, only close your account. Lesson learned.

Michelle,

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 19, 2019

I've been subscribing to PeopleFinders for easily 15+ years and now all of a sudden they change their website so for the monthly charge. I get NOTHING more than I can find on Google???? And if I want to see the info I've had access to for 15+ years I now have to pay my subscription PLUS another fee of $9.95 for each lookup???? What the hell am I paying for???? Good that's one less recurring charge I'll be paying from now on.... What a joke POS company...

Hello Thomas,

We have recently changed the formatting of our website, which is probably why you are seeing changes. We want to make sure our customers are happy with the change; it sounds like you may have an error on your account if you are being asked to pay additionally after having a membership. I am sorry for the inconvenience and would love the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send me your email address so that i can further assist you.

PeopleFinders

Original review: May 17, 2019

Used this site ONE time. Cancelled the service the following day. I was charged 2.95 cancellation fee but then was also charged a 24.95 fee for something. It was cancelled well within the free trial period. Beware. Do not use. It's all a lie. Calling the BBB, my bank and whomever else I need to on this matter.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you could please send over your email address, I can look into your account to rectify the issue.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 16, 2019

Every day PeopleFinders pop up while I'm on AOL Mail, showing defamatory information about me; I've contacted them, asking to cease these defaming statements, however to no avail. Are PeopleFinders, Safecart & Verispy all the same company? Joyce **.

Hello,

We are not linked to any of the websites you've mentioned. You can remove your personal profile by following the link below. Also, if you are referring to "pop-ups," this is because you have allowed the website to send you information in your browser. We will send you a private message with instructions on how to stop the pop ups from appearing. Below is the link to have information opted out of the database.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 14, 2019

I recently noticed that there was a charge from Peoplefinders on my credit card and do not understand how they are charging my account. I called the company to try to resolve the issue and their response was to basically say that it was my fault and would not tell me how long they have been charging my account as I never remember using it. The woman who I talked to was to say the least unprofessional. She was unable to answer questions and became rude to say the least. I would have liked to talk to a supervisor to try to resolve this. Is this company a scam? Jim from NY.

Hello,

I am sorry that you have had this experience with our company. I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can assist you further.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had to look up my ex because I am suing him, I was told on the site that it would be 1$ or so, I found the information and thought that was it, got a confirmation email about the amount. HOWEVER, I looked at my statement in my bank account and it signed me up for a membership, one that is more expensive than their premium first month! I checked for an email telling me that I got signed up, but nothing. It’s misleading and a scam.

Hello,

It sounds like you may have signed up with a trial membership that wasn't cancelled in time. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. If you would please send me a private message with your email address on file with us, I would be more than happy to rectify the issue for you.

Resolution response: April 30, 2019

The company worked with me and resolved the issues for me . Thanks Peoplefinders

Original review: April 24, 2019

Was only suppose to take 1 dollar from my my acct but took around 45.00. I did not sign up for any membership. When I called them they said it was a legitimate charge. This site is designed to scam you. Do not use them. They get 0 star for me.

Hi Sherron,

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. Please privately send me a response with your email address on file with us so that I can locate your account to rectify the issue for you. I look forward to your reply.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: April 22, 2019

I search for my husband's record. We need his divorce decree. All PeopleFinders found was his addresses over the year. What a JOKE! BTW I was very careful not to be enlisted in a trial, PeopleFinders open several windows with offer for trial, almost clicked on one, the "No Thank You give me my Report" are very small letters under the very Big "GET REPORT" button. What a SCAM.

Hello,

We are sorry you did not find what you were looking for. Unfortunately, we would only offer divorce records and not all states make them available to the public. You would need to check with that specific county to see why it is not listed. We do let you know this in our terms of use before making your purchase. We are more than happy to provide you with a free search for your inconvenience. You may contact our customer care for further assistance.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: April 13, 2019

I tried to get a $1.95 background check, and it signed me up for a monthly membership at a much higher cost without my approval. It also kept bringing popup windows with boxes trying to fool me into signing up for more memberships. I wasn't even mailed a receipt of the membership. This company is a scam.

Hello,

We would be more than happy to take a look into this for you. Please send us the email address you used to make your purchase so that we can rectify the issue for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 30, 2019

I heard my ex-husband was dead; I could not find info on this, but it did not show our 1980 divorce nor his second divorce. I cannot trust his current address, as it showed his old home address (with both of his now deceased parents still listed as living there). I knew most everything already and wanted a PAID service to give me true up to date info...not this useless mess.

Hello,

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee any type of record. We will show you exactly what has been publicly reported on the individual. Every company has access to the same information and it will only be updated if the consumer fills out public record documents that would give us new information. We are unable to offer a refund, however, we can offer you a courtesy search to use at any time. Please let us know if this is something you would like.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 29, 2019

In the attempts to verify a divorce date for my husband's former marriage, we went to PeopleFinders.com and did a search on him. The site stated that there were records and so we purchased the one time report. Not only did it not show his former marriage and divorce date, but it didn't show his current marriage to me! I contacted PeopleFinders.com for a refund for information that was promised but not delivered. Their response was that they could not refund my money, but would offer me another search.

I responded that I have no need for another search and want my money back. That was 9 days ago and they never replied. Buyer beware: They lure you in by stating that there are records on the person you searched. But the records you receive will be outdated, incorrect, and missing. I could care less about the couple of bucks I spent on this search - it's about the principle. Scam 100,000 people out of 2 or 3 dollars and you've got a thriving business running a b.s. company.

Hello,

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee marriage/divorce information, as every state has different limitations on what they will give out. This is something that is listed upon making your purchase with us. We are unable to offer a refund for the product but we can offer you a courtesy search as the representative has. Please let us know if this is something you would like.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 6, 2019

I asked for a report on an individual that had been married 3 times, divorced 2 or 3 times had been arrested (I'm told) for public **. I was looking for confirmation of the last item. The resulting report showed none of this even though all of the wives were noted as associates. No marriage. No divorces. No arrests or convictions except speeding tickets. I asked for my money back. This site is bogus. Look for someone else to do searches for you.

Hello,

Unfortunately, some states do not allow marriage/divorce information to be available online, you would need to contact that specific county to see their policy. The same goes for criminal records. Different states have different laws regarding public records. We will also not have sealed/expunged records. Although we are unable to guarantee information, we are more than happy to look into your account to see what we can do for you. Please contact us.

PeoppleFinders.com

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Few things to point out about this pos site: If they fool you into purchasing a one time report for any amount they will automatically sign you up for a membership. In the first month you will be charged for your one time report and membership. They store your credit card info and will not allow you to delete it from their website. They send you one email to say you made an account with them and one email to say you purchased a report.

They do not send any emails after that. And they never send one with any details about this said subscription you signed up for, that is right not one! Like typical subscriptions who send thank you emails for your payment every month. So they fly under the radar until you catch on. When you catch on and call to dispute. They will make you believe at first that 3 months is all they will refund. Until you push a little harder than 6 months becomes a huge favor from them. The representatives and supervisors are trained to manipulate you into believing that you in fact agreed to this subscription. And they will also tell you that no other subscription services (every single one of mine does) send a thank you for payment email every month that you pay. Then they ask you and I quote if you will take any accountability here because it is your fault.

When you finally realize you are talking to someone who is trained to get you to believe that you are partially responsible, you will hang up and dispute it through your credit card instead. After you have wasted 2 hrs of your life you will do what I did and try to stop this from happening to others. I have not logged into my "PeopleFinders account" since the day I made the one time purchase and today when trying to dispute these charges. They charged me for a service that I never used or even thought about since making my one time purchase. And charged me for it every month without my consent or notification. They are a scam. They are fraudulent! They are trained in the art of making people believe they agreed to their scam. Do not I repeat do not fall into this trap.

Joni,

I am very sorry that this was your experience with our company. Our subscription services are all listed before registering and if chosen to sign up with, you must provide an electronic signature stating you understand the terms. The trial is also listed on your original purchase receipt. We understand if this was not intended and are happy to help where we can. I am happy to look into this for you if you would provide me with your email address.

Best regards,

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I tried to login in to People Search to find my long lost cousin. I was ready to pay, could not remember my password, had them send me my password, tried to log in and could not. Called cust service, was told I could not use my account because MY email was under someone else's name! I told them, "You just sent me an email for my password change, my only email for the last 20 something yrs." Asked for a supervisor. Was told next that email belonged to someone else, could not tell me who. I said, "This person committed a fraud, I needed the info to see what else had been done." Did they not ask for any other proof of identity? No was the answer. I told them they were horrible, and the worst business ever!! BEWARE!! Your emails are not SAFE!!! DO NOT USE THEM!! Be WARNED!!!

Denise,

Our policy is to close out any account that has been compromised. We apologize that you were not able to log in but you do have to option to create a brand new account if you so wish by using a different email address. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I wish I would have read all the 1 star reviews before spending 30$ on something Google tells me for free. This website has false advertisement. I wanted to look myself up knowing my history. This site promises so much information that they would be able to find, but has majorly failed to deliver. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY IT IS A SCAM. All you will see is your old phone numbers and relatives phone numbers. You have to keep paying money on top of what they already promise 30$ would find you. If you call they will give you some lame excuse so I just gave up and am eating a 30$ loss. Do your research before making these scammers more rich than they already continue to get off poor people's money!

Hi Kristy,

I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with your purchase. With public record data, nothing can be guaranteed. Our service offers consumers the ability to see what public information is available in one report, we do not guarantee any specific result. I am more than happy to look into your account to see if there is anything I can do for you. Please send me your email address that you used to register.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

To test out the service before purchasing I decided to check out someone that I already knew had a criminal history- None of their information was provided whatsoever, they didn't even have correct phone numbers so I contacted customer service and explained the problem and Jennifer ** the "Department Manager" hoping that they would be reasonable about the situation and the lady had no ** about the website's lack information- Correct or otherwise- I paid $30.00 for a BS report. I asked to speak with a supervisor and according to Mrs. **, she was the only one who could "help me" She was rude and inconsiderate and the website is a complete SCAM!

Hello,

Criminal record information is allocated differently within each state and county. They are the ones who determine what online databases can have depending on their laws. This is something that is out of our control and that we do not guarantee to have. We apologize that you did not get the results you were hoping for within your report. I am more than happy to look into your account if you would like to send me your email address on file.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I joined, but the second time I wanted to log in I forgot my password. When I entered my e-mail address to get a message reminding me of my password, the system claimed not to recognize my address. So it seems this company are indeed swindlers.

Hello,

If you would like to send us your full name along with your email address you have registered with, we are more than happy locate your account.

PeopleFinders.com expert review by Ben Mannes

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
      Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

PeopleFinders.com Company Information