1.18/5

Need a background check company?

PeopleFinders.com

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

85 PeopleFinders.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I paid my subscription fee and couldn't log in. I forgot my password and went to retrieve it from mail and couldn't log back into the site. Said that that account was already registered and should try another account. Sorry. Will get out of this service as soon as possible. It SUCKS! Read too many reviews after the fact, that so many people have been taken from this site. You pay for the service and then you can't get the report, Not very good business.

Hello Louise,

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. I would love nothing more than to help you with your issue. If you would send me your email address on file, I can look into the issue for you. You may also contact our customer care at the number below and we can assist you directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Just like everyone else, I was taken by this company's bait and switch scam. The service they over charge for is very bad and their customer service is even worse. Very rude and uncaring service reps. Overall I would NEVER recommend this service, there are many other better companies out there, DO YOUR RESEARCH, don't be taken by this scam. They will charge you more than what and when you call back to cancel and get a refund they will tell you to take a hike... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Hello Joe,

I am sorry that this was your experience with our company. If you would please send me your email address associated with your account, I would be more than happy to look into the account for you to see what we can do.

PeopleFinders.com

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I signed up for 1 month at $19.99. I was billed $39.00. When I emailed the company they said, "We don't give refunds, We're sorry you didn't get the results you wanted." Results? Lol. What results? I looked up myself and about 10 other close family and friends and all it showed on every report was old phone #s, addresses and possible relatives. It's a scam thru and thru. I can Google my name and find 10x the info. My "package" included death, marriage, divorce, liens, addresses, relatives' phone numbers, criminal records, etc. And none of those ever showed up except like I said old #s, possible relatives and some addresses.

This is legit a scam. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and whoever else I think I need to. I feel extremely taken advantage of and basically robbed... I even told them, "Keep the $19.99 I knew I was paying but refund the other $19." Ha. They don't give refunds. If you use this website you will be beyond angry. It's straight thievery on PeopleFinders.com part. I will continue to contact whoever I can until this is resolved. I am beyond upset at this point... I wish to God I had read some reviews because they all say what I'm saying "ripoff, scammed, lied to, overcharged and on and on and on." By the way they have a 1 * rating and that's just because you have to press that to go any further. So PeopleFinders.com make this right. You've done scammed enough people.

Hello Kelly,

I am very sorry that this was your experience with our company. If you would please send me your email address so that I can look into this for you, I would be more than happy to help.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Absolutely useless, most of the information is not correct or incomplete. I looked at my information to verify the accuracy of others and mine was completely outdated and most was incorrect. I cannot trust that whatever information they give on others is accurate.

Genny,

I am sorry that the information you received was not helpful to you. Unfortunately, public records cannot be guaranteed to have any specific type of information. You are simply paying for us to conduct a search on your behalf. If you would please send me your email address associated with your account, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

100% scam. I was trying to figure out what was on my criminal background report. They did not have one arrest nor any charges and I've been arrested more times then use taken a ship at McDonald's. I called for a refund and it says they cannot guarantee or backup the information. I said what does this membership guarantee and she's like nothing...

Hello Alex,

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with your purchase with our company. Please send me your email address associated with your account so that I can look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Every time you click on continue or a report you get a new price prompt. The only information returned was what I entered plus an address and cell phone which are no longer useful since he is dead. No information regarding birth, marriage, divorce or death was returned. No criminal records returned. When I ran it again it took me to a report on a site Persopo which required another subscription and money. What a scam. Do not use this company.

Hi Janet,

I am sorry that this was your experience with our company. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. If you would please send me your email address, I will be able to locate your purchase to see what I can do.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My friend and I were messing around on this site today and not only did it have very little information on it to begin with all the information it did have seemed to be pulled out of thin air. They overcharged us $35 from our original purchase! Then proceeded to deactivate our account with no refund! This is ridiculous and we are out more money then we signed up with. Do not use this website. You could very easily get any of this information off Google or Facebook and it would be more likely to be correct.

Hello Jeff,

I am very sorry to hear that this was your experience with our company. I hope to be given the opportunity to resolve this matter for you. If you would please send me your email address associated with the account, I can look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Our company has used PeopleFinders for both business and personal use. This site is bogus. For $9.95, you will receive less information than a basic Google search. Moreover, if you contact customer care for a refund not only do you have to jump through hoops to verify account information, they will inform you that their information is compiled of public information. Basically, search Google. No refund will be issued simply because they "compiled a report," which took less than 30 seconds but more time than typing a name in on Google. Total scam!!!

Hello Jessica,

I apologize that this was your experience with our company. If you would please send me your email address associated with your account, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

WORTHLESS!!! Their "report" shows none of my marriages, divorces, children, sisters, parents or any relative as "relatives" and no traffic violations. (I WAS born, wed, divorced and had traffic violations.) Shows numerous people as relatives who ARE NOT related. When I asked for a refund, they only offered to do ANOTHER search. May as well take your 9.95 and throw it right in the harbor!!! Their actual reply... "Our system searches through billions of public records and collects every piece of relevant information. The charge you paid was for us to conduct a search on your behalf, not to return a specific result. We are unable to provide a refund, but we will be happy to offer you another search at no additional cost." Wow! BILLIONS of records and every piece of relevant info and although they have all my addresses, they couldnt find birth/death/marriage/divorce/etc.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I am applying for a government job and needed to obtain public records like divorce, traffic, and criminal records of which I paid an extra amount $11.95 to receive a one time report, hoping it might save me some time with gathering the data and dates, and the report only included potential address and relative information that was only about 60% accurate. It produced 3 marriages with people that I had never even known. Only 10% of public record with no way to further pinpoint my identity or search parameters. And it continued to attempt to con me into further charges as I began looking for the missing information. I thought it would save me time, but it ended up costing 2 hours and $12.00 more than it was worth. Shouldn't try and get people to pay more for traffic and criminal checks only to be shafted.

Hello Robert,

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

If I could give no stars, I would. I know PeopleFinders will be replying to this review stating "we do not guarantee all the info will be in the report. Certain states, and or counties list the information that can be disclosed". Guys, just look at their weak ** response to the reviews on here. I just wasted 29.95 for no background check. I know what is on my background, I just wanted to confirm something.

When you pay the initial 29.95, they try and swoop you in to get their special. "Come and get 50% if you sign up for monthly reports." or, "Pay an additional 9.95 for reverse phone lookup." I'm telling you, do not, I repeat, DO NOT give them your money. There are better websites, and other resources than wasting your money here. If you are looking for a detailed report, do your due diligence and go to the counties which you may have had a case in. This website is garbage, and frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves for false advertising.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I paid the $3.95 for a reverse phone number lookup one-time report. The page button to order says "get report now". All I got is an email saying it will take 24 hrs and another email welcoming me to the membership. How dishonest is that? On top of it all, they mislead you by showing results found but you must pay to get them, but, the fine print says there may actually not be any results. Money for nothing. I did not agree to membership, I did not get my report NOW. I bet I do not get my requested refund, either. I hope karma exists. Finally, don't call them. They don't care.

Jay,

Some of our reports may take up to 24 hours to get information on. This is to ensure you are getting everything that may be out there on the individual you are searching on. If you would please send me your email on file, I would be more than happy to take a look into the issue for you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

USELESS.COM, WASTEOFHOPE.COM, WASTEOFTIME.COM, NOTHING.FINDERS should be the name of y’alls website. Customer service answered quit to say no transfer me to a supervisor voicemail. I just want my 9.95 back so I can get myself lunch which is ACTUALLY beneficial. If you guys put as much effort into your superb advertising as you did in ACTUALLY doing a background check then you’d have better reviews. Just close your site down if it’s no good. Plain and simple. How are y’all going to advertise honestly and sell lies!!! Save your money and yourself some grief. You’d be better off calling a lawyer's office and doing a consultation about expungements and they’ll tell you what’s on your background for FREE!!! NOTHING.COM should be the name of this site.

Hello Britt,

We apologize you did not get the results you were hoping for with your search. Although we do not guarantee any specific results, I would be more than happy to look into this for you. Please send over your email address on file so that we can get this rectified.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

It LITERALLY found nothing. GREAT advertising though, if y’all put the money into ACTUALLY doing a background check y’all would have superb reviews... On hold right now for customer service!!! Checked on several people my girlfriend and roommate... NOTHING when we know there is... TF you guys... Just be legit!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I needed a search on a name that had four divorces known. The result came back with zero results. Needed those dates for official forms. Useless to me and $30 out of pocket. Complete waste of money... Offered no refunds. The site states divorce and marriage records. But none given. Do not give these people a dime.

Hi Neil,

our website does not guarantee any type of records since different states and counties have different stipulations on what they will release. This is all stated in our terms of use to review when you sign up. If you would please send me your email address on file with us, I would be more than happy to take a look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I signed up for 1 month reports membership, which is $19.95 for 1st month and $29.95 each month thereafter until canceled. This membership claims to provide reports on a multitude of records, which includes things such as addresses, phone numbers, known associates, court records, arrest records, birth, death, marriage and death records, etc... I read and agreed to all the information presented, and accepted that there was a no refund policy. HOWEVER, what I did not expect was that PeopleFinders.com falsely advertises what they can provide; and if they actually do provide this information, then it must be in very rare instances, in which case I do not believe they should advertise this as a service without qualifying what that means. I only went to this site for the sole purpose of looking up the marriage and divorce records of one person before I signed a legal document attesting to the facts around that.

In the report I got, I was gravely disappointed to find that not only were the marriage and divorce records not included, but little else was included as well. In fact, everything in it was something I already knew! It was a complete waste of my money! Out of curiosity, I decided to bring up my own name and see what was in my report. After all I might as well make use of the money I spent, right? Again, I was very disappointed. Not only was there a lack of information on me, including both of my marriages and one divorce, no birth record, and even an obvious gap in my associates including my own family, but there was an overwhelming amount of people that were listed as my associates whom I've never met and never heard of. Simply put, my own record was lacking in accurate information and contained a number of inaccuracies.

I proceeded to research the site on how I could correct my record, but all I found out is PeopleFinders.com denies responsibility for the accuracy of the information on their site, because they gather this information from a variety of sources, and they will not change any of the information. I wrote them an email advising them of my experience and suggested they improve the accuracy of their records. Their response was to send me a form letter repeating what I already knew.

So, I sent a second email expressing my disappointment in their response and the fact that they did not address my concerns directly. I reiterated my concern and expressed my concern that when someone pays money to access information about me (or anyone) that is incorrect, then they can make inaccurate assumptions about me (or the person they are researching) and PeopleFinders.com assumes no responsibility for it. I told them I felt it was unethical. In that email I made suggestions on how to improve their business practices by verifying the information they obtain, and being willing to correct false information, as well as adding links to the source of that information.

Their response was nearly as unresponsive as their first. And their explanation was ludicrous. So, I decided to look at reviews given this website, which unsurprisingly and consistently earned 1 star ratings. With every complaint about PeopleFinders.com they responded with the same message over and over: "Please send us your email so we can address the problem." I feel that robotic response only confirms that PeopleFinders.com is truly not interested in helping, making their business better or more ethical or truly communicating. I'm utterly fed up.

Michelle,

We show that we have already addressed this issue with you through the Better Business Bureau. We have refunded and closed the account. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I retrieved my credit report through an online service while car shopping. This site came and state I needed to pay a $1 fee to continue to retrieve my report. I got the report and IMMEDIATELY cancelled the service yet my card was billed monthly at $39.95. When I called customer service to request a refund I was given the runaround. I escalated my call to a supervisor who basically told me I was out of luck. He refused to refund the charges, was rude and condescending. I closed my card to avoid any more unauthorized charges but can't seem to get this company to refund what they took without my permission.

Teresa,

Our company does not offer any type of credit report services. I would be happy to look into this for you to see if you had made any type of purchase with PeopleFinders.com. However, it does like like you've contacted a different company. If you would please privately send me your email address that you used to make the purchase with, I would be more than happy to double check for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I obtained a background check with inaccurate criminal information that I know are 10 years out of date. I would like to know the source of where this information is coming from to get this inaccurate information corrected.

Gwendolyn,

Each state has different laws set into place as to what they can release. We allocate criminal records from three sources in each state, the DOC , the AOC and the DPS. These different departments release different types of records such as felonies, misdemeanors and traffic infractions. Every state has limitations on what they can release, you will need to check with your state departments regarding public coverage to see what is available.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

NEVER use this company. THIS IS A SCAM. I paid $3 for a reverse phone lookup in 2015 and they’ve been charging my credit card $25 per month for THREE YEARS. When I contacted customer service, they were useless.

Hello Corinna,

We do have a lot of different products on the website, it sounds as though there may have been a membership signed up with. I am more than happy to look into this for you. I would need you to privately send me your email address on file with us.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

A family member has a history of dating people who claim to be divorced but are still married. Wanted to see if family member's boyfriend was divorced or not. This site was recommended by a county. Paid for a PDF form because this was my first experience with these types of sites so just opted for a PDF record copy. When I received the report, it stated how there was no marriage or divorced record found. That was the whole point of purchasing this report. All it told me was information I already knew and didn't need. Very disappointed with this outcome. Waste of time and $10.45. Would not recommend and claiming to be "free public search" is also very misleading because these types of sites always want you to pay for some sort of membership. Glad I did not opt for the trial or any other services. Will be checking next month to make sure they did not opt in in some sort of membership service to collect money.

Hello Janny,

Although PeopleFinders provides public records, we do not create or modify them in any way. We are only able to display the information provided in each record, so we cannot guarantee their accuracy or any type of record that may or may not be available. We do not see this information until you pay to run the search. We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please privately provide me with your email address on file so that I may assist you further.

PeopleFinders

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Horrible service. I ran a background check on a potential tenant. All the personal info such as full name, date of birth, relatives, etc was correct. It was for the person I was running a check on. The criminal background check however was for a different person. The race was wrong and the date of birth didn't match. I called their customer service and they refused to refund my money or fix the issue. They recommended another website which just happens to be owned by them.

Hello Mary,

It is actually against our terms of use to run a background check for tenant screening purposes because we are not an FCRA compliant company. In that case, we would definitely cancel out your account and refer you to a company that does screenings. Please privately send me your email address on file so that I may look into this for you.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I wanted to look up a SINGLE report and I accidentally selected a 6 month membership that was $59!!! I just wanted one report and I called for a refund and they stated they can't give a refund. I only needed a single report not a whole 6 month membership like come on now... bad customer service on top of it. I wasn't even asking for a full refund but after I've been through I need a full refund.

Hello Jassmine,

I would be more than happy to assist you in this matter. If you would please privately send me your email address on file with us, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I used the reverse phone number search for a cell number in Washington state. After compiling a report, a message appeared which said "Success! Full address available." So, I paid $3.95 for a one-time report. When it appeared, there was no address. When I asked for a refund, they said that I only paid for a search, no any results, AND gave me an address for a person with a different name who lives in California, not Washington. I just repeated my search, and got the SAME message: Full address available. This is plainly dishonest.

Mark,

We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please privately provide your email address on file with us so that we may assist you further.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I paid the 29.99 for a full report. I received name, phone number, and last known address. Everything you can see before you pay. When I contacted them for a refund they said they would give me one free report, that they don’t issue refunds. Why would I try that again? And if there was more than one person I needed to look into why would I pay for just the one... Their site promises all this info and then doesn’t deliver. False advertising. If there’s no info on the person they should tell you that before they offer you all this info that they don’t have.

Hello Brittney,

I am very sorry that you had this experience. Normally, we would not provide refund for our background checks; simply because we are running the search on your behalf to see what is available on an individual, not to return any specific result. We are unable to guarantee any type of results on a particular record. I am more than happy to rectify this for you. Please privately send me your email address on file so that I may assist you further.

PeopleFinders

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

If you get a charge from this company that is unwarranted, simply ask the customer service of your credit card to do a "chargeback". You will not only get your money back, but it will eventually cost this company money because they get charged a fee when a customer does chargebacks due to their fraudulent activity. I went to the site often over the years simply to verify dob and name, for a small fee, but recently like many others I was charged for a full background check when I didn't wish for one at all. They will not give you a refund no matter how long you've been a customer so just do a chargeback and never use this site again. When I spoke to customer service at Visa it seems they are aware of this companies scams so they do and will promise your money back if you are sincere and have good standing. These companies do not have good standing so don't be afraid to complain to your card company.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

They require significant information about you to "verify" the account. This information then appears to be sold to others using their service. If there's any problem with your account, and you can't resolve the login problem, your Credit card number associated with that account is not usable on any other accounts - so you have no recourse to continue service. Their customer service is atrocious.

Mike,

We apologize for any miscommunication during your usage with us. You are allowed only one account per credit card number, this is to prevent multiple charges on the same credit card number that may lead to the same service. We absolutely do not sell customer's private account information. We would be more than happy to look into the issue for you. Please message me your account information so that I may assist you further.

Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I signed up for a trial review for $1.99. This corrupt business has charged my card since then, even though there was nothing in the online agreement for me concurring to this. I've had to resort to changing my credit card rather than pursue legal recourse because it's an invasion of my serenity. If I could score a minus 5, I would. DON'T USE THEM!!!

Hi Ronda,

I would be more than happy to look into this for you. As of right now, I am unable to locate an account for you with the information I have available. Please send me a private response with your full name or email address on the account with us, I look forward to your reply.

Resolution response: July 18, 2018

Thank you so much Brittany! As I stated before "Peoplefinders never overcharged me for reports, but keeping my ex out of my life as much as possible is a priority for me". My ex is worse than the chick from Fatal Attraction, she's been stalking me\us for years, sighs. They removed my unlisted phone# as promised.

So thank you once again for your help Brittany:)

Original review: July 16, 2018

Peoplefinders has terrible customer support!!! I don't have an issue with the search portion of the site, it's just the fact they send me some stupid form email letter to opt out of my number & name being displayed in reverse phone# search field. It's always "we can't find that listing nonsense of theirs" sighs, well it's coming up every time when I do a search. So someone's not smelling their own BS, or very incompetent at the least. Neither is good IMO, SMH. :(

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your request to opt out from the website. If you would send me a private message with your information that you are showing on the website, I would be happy to take a look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ordered a 1 time background check for $1.95, 5 days later a charge for a monthly subscription shows up on my credit card. Okay, I failed to read the very small print on page 5, I accepted that charge as a my fault. I go to the "my account" page and cancel, but I get a notice that I can still use the site for the month of my paid subscription. So, I run a background check on a neighbor and WHAM, almost immediately, I get a notification that PeopleFinders charged my credit card $11.95. I call PeopleFinders and was told I only bought the basic search of name (I already knew the name), the address (again, this was known to me) and phone number (again, already knew that), and 3 email addresses (didn't care about those). So that is why I paid $11.95, plus the $19.95 for the basic worthless information. I did get the report, but it basically cost me $32.00.

These little facts seem to be very well hidden on the page. They did provide what they promised. But be careful when you order anything from them. That 1 check for $1.95 will lock you into a subscription with no refunds, and it will be the basic that is really of no value. I mean in order to request the report you need a name, address, but they charge you to give you that. Just be careful and keep in mind if you do order, READ EVERY LINE or you will be paying for worthless information because you already know it.

Hello Terry,

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you could please send me a private message wit your full name and email address, I will get this matter handled. I look forward to hearing from you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 21, 2018

Ordered two reports from them. The first one was just relatives, so the second one I paid for a background check on a relative and got just her birthday, age, and one address for her, which was something I already knew. When I called the man at customer care, he refused to give me a refund... This is definitely a RIP-OFF company. Don't waste your time or money!!!

Hi Alicia,

I would be more than happy to assist you with this matter. I am unable to locate an account for you to be able to assist you further. If you could please send me a private message with your email address and full name so that I can take a look into this for you that would be great.

PeopleFinders.com expert review by Ben Mannes

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

PeopleFinders.com Company Information