2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.94/5

Need a background check company?

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

PeopleFinders.com Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I called to cancel my account completely. I requested to erase all of my personal information such as my name, credit card and home address. I was told that they cannot help me and that my personal information will have to remain in my account even if I don't use it. So I can cancel my personal information from a Gmail account but I cannot from these sleazy people? Do yourselves a favor and do not open an account with them or you'll regret it.

Hello,

You do have the right to remove your personal account information from your customer account. I am more than happy to do this for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

This company solicited me and for a $1 they would check someones files. I paid the dollar and checked that I did not want the service and I've never used it since. Visa/Costco called and wondered about the charge - I didn't even know I was being charged (which is probably my fault) as I did cancel it. From 2018 until today they have nailed me in excess of $800./00ik.

Hello,

I am more than happy to take a look at your account to see what was signed up with and if there is anything else we can do for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I, like so many others used this shady service to locate the owner of a phone number and thought I was paying a small fee of around $1.50 and months later I see they charged me $24.95 from July through November (a total of $125.00 for NOTHING). When I called them to complain they said they could only credit me for 2 months! What a way to make a living! Who are we going to scam today?! They sound very professional when you talk to them on the phone but they are crooks.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I paid 1 dollar to use their service once. So I thought that was done. But today I was checking the record transaction records of my credit card. I found Peoplefinders has charged me around 20 dollars 9 times. I never authorized those charges. I called them and they immediately canceled my "so called" membership that I never signed up and refunded me 3 months membership fees. I wanted all my "membership fee" money back but they hung up on me. Don't use peoplefinders.com!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I signed for the 7 Day trial membership $5.95 USD. Yesterday on Jan. 23 2020 I got the email verification with my passcode to enter to my account immediately. I thought so far so good. But when I clicked on to view report then came my 1st. surprise: even though at my search found all the information was available, I got the reply that they have to continue the search and I will have the result within 24-48 hours. The 2nd surprise came when the provided password didn't work. The 3rd. one was that I didn't receive any response, while several attempts to reset the pass-code. 4th surprise the the advertised 1-800 number can't be called from Canada. I don't have any cancellation experience yet. But based on my experiences so far, I still waiting for a proper response from Peoplefinders, but my future doesn't look too rosy.

PeopleFinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I replied to a solicitation to use this company's search tool. I expressly said that I would only pay on a per use basis and then would decide later if it was helpful to my law practice. Consistent with that, I was charged 3 small fees. Four days later I noticed a monthly fee and reported to PeopleFinders that I did not sign up for monthly or recurring use and was assured I would be removed and a reimbursement would be forthcoming. It wasn't. Unfortunately, I paid no attention thereafter as I thought it was resolved. For almost 2 years I failed to notice amongst my numerous credit card bills for the office that I was charged $24.95 monthly, and that another charge, under a cover name "CFK" was also charged at $14.95 monthly to my account. Their response was, unbelievably, for me to give them proof of their cancelling the account when they failed to cancel it as I instructed.

They have to know then that what they asked for is impossible to provide as it doesn't exists due to their error. As others have noted here, this is nothing more than a scam. And I am sure that they have hundreds of persons they have billed like me, who have never used the service but once and yet were charged for months or years thereafter. A class action suit may be necessary to ferret out the truth about this company's practices.

Resolution response: Jan. 6, 2020

After asking company for a screen shot of where I checked a box saying that I acknowledged I would be charged the cancellation fee, I never received screen shot, but they did refund both $2.95 charges.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

On 1/3/2020, I enrolled in the $3.95 trial membership, for 3 days, if cancelled in 3 days you would not be charged the full membership. Well, it wasn't even 1 full day of trial period and I cancelled, checked my banking account, and lo and behold there were two 2.95 charges. I called customer service and was told these were cancellation charges, misleading company, never heard of such a practice. I will be contacting BBB to key them know of this deceivable practice. What a scam.

Hello,

I am more than happy to take a look at your account to see what was signed up with and rectify the issue for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

This website offered to give me the name that a phone number was registered to if I paid for membership or a one time report. I selected the one time report and entered in my payment. The website advised me to "cancel my membership within 3 days" or I would be charged the $20+ monthly fee (even though I selected the single report). I was then told that I would receive an email when the report was ready. No report showed up. I went into my account to cancel it and avoid the monthly payment and was charged a cancellation fee. In short, I paid money for a suggested service and got nothing.

Hello Michelle,

I am very sorry that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to look into this issue for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I signed up for a one time search. I did not sign up for a membership. I was charged a membership fee for three months. I didn't notice it on my credit card statement the first time. These were fraud charges.

Hello,

I apologize that this was your experience with our company. I am more than happy to look into the issue for you to see if there is anything I can do to further assist you. Please send me your email address on file with us.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I have tried to opt-out of this website for two days, and even purchased my own report to remove it from their site but have yet to receive my confirmation email. I received the confirmation email for my purchase immediately, and I'm now VERY concerned that this company has my card information.

Hello,

We are more than happy to assist with our removal. Please send us the URL to your information so that we can assist with our removal.

Regards,

FastPeopleSearch.com

Not sure about PeopleFinders.com?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Background Check Companies for you.

PeopleFinders.com expert review by Ben Mannes

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

PeopleFinders.com Company Information