2.03/5
  • 1 star
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

35 PeopleFinders.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I called 11/4/17 to cancel the subscription because somehow I was getting charged $29.95 a month for a site I used ONCE and paid $0.50 sent for a report and thought that was it. They were to refund the money to my account and I have email confirmation of this. I checked my account and the refund was credited to my account and then deducted from my account BY PEOPLEFINDER without authorization the same day! So unless the money is credited to my account and not deducted two seconds later, I will continue to feel this company is a scam. So then I try to call customer service and I just get a message telling me saying I called after business hours when the site clearly states it’s open weekends until 330 and I’ve been calling since 8am but of course no real human being actually answers the phone so I’m stuck with no customer service and I’m out $30. Cool.

Hello Shannon,

At the time of purchase on 9/28/2017, you chose to receive a discounted price on your Background Check for signing up for a 5-day trial to our PeopleFinders Premium Monthly Membership. For the period of the membership it allowed you to run unlimited searches. You had the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We have received your cancellation by phone on 11/4/2017 after the 5-day trial has ended. The 5-day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee of $29.95 on the sixth day, and for every month thereafter.

We have removed the auto-renewal for this membership per your request on 11/4/2017 and you will not be billed going forward.

The representative you spoke with got approval from management to issue one curtsey refund of $29.95. Unfortunately, no further refunds are available for this account. If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team.

Monday-Friday-7:00AM-6:00PM (PST)

Saturday-Sunday7:00AM-3:30PM (PST)

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

PeopleFinders is dedicated to helping you find people and learn more about them in a safe and responsible manner. PeopleFinders is not a Consumer Reporting Agency (CRA) as defined by the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). This site cannot be used for employment, credit or tenant screening, or any related purpose. To learn more, please visit our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

People Finders has very poor Customer Service and Management. I was continuously set up on a monthly deduction from my credit card that I never requested. I ordered a background check for one background and they turned it into 6 months of monthly charges. When I caught it and called to complain about the fraud they said they would give me a 3 month credit. Not enough! I called twice and asked to speak to a manager. Both times I was told my call would be returned by a manager and it never happened! I will never use this service again because they just want to grab hold of your credit card and run it up!

Hello Julia,

Our records indicate that you chose to make and additional purchase to receive a discounted price of $12.48 on a PeopleFinders membership by signing up for a 30-day trial. For the period of the membership, it allows you to run unlimited searches. You have the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We did not receive any notification that you wished to cancel this trial. The 30-day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee of $24.95 on the 31st day, and for every month thereafter.

We received your cancellation request by phone on 11/3/2017 for your PeopleFinders Membership service. The representative you spoke with got approval from management and was able to refund three months as a curtesy.

Our records show that management called you on 11/7/2017 and got a voicemail. Management confirmed no further refunds are available for this account. If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I got People Finders one time and I canceled the next day, never found the correct person. Well, apparently they have billed me over $249.00 and over. I only went back so many months so there could still be more charges and I only used it one time then canceled. Yes, this a total scam and should be stopped. In fact any and all autopay or renewals should not be done online. To me the key are all scams.

Hello Anja,

At the time of purchase, you chose to receive a discounted price for your report by signing up for a 3-day trial to our Membership. For the period of the membership, it allowed you to run unlimited searches. You had the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We did not receive any notification that you wished to cancel this trial. The 3-day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee of $24.95 on the fourth day, and for every month thereafter.

Per your written request, and as a onetime courtesy, we will grant three refunds of $24.95. Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to process back into your credit or debit card.

We have also cancelled your membership on 11/14/2017.

Our records also show you signed up for PeopleFinders Rewards program for $24.99. This membership allows you to get $1 Reports (People, Background, Criminal, Phone, Property), Assisted Searches, Genealogy Searches, PeopleFinders Local (deep discounts on thousands of local and national products). We did not receive notification that you wished to cancel this within your 7-day trial period, therefore you were billed $24.99 and for every month thereafter.

We have cancelled this membership on 11/14/2017 for you and have refunded three charges of $24.99 as a one-time courtesy. Please allow three to five business days for this credit to reflect on your account.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

First the reverse phone search was inaccurate with every number I entered, then the people search also inaccurate. I paid .95 for unlimited searches for three days. This was a waste of money. I canceled my membership within the three days time span so I wouldn't be charged regular membership fees since the service was trash anyway only to find out I'm being charged 2.95 just to cancel my membership. I received absolutely nothing for the money I spent so this company is a total ripoff. Beware before signing up for a membership with these con artists.

Hello,

The offer that you accepted was a Report + Trial offer. This discounted your first report from $3.95 down to $0.95 and included a unlimited 3 day trial. We do not offer a free trial service so your total is $0.95 (Report) + $2.95 (Trial). This was disclosed on your order.

You did have the option to take the single price and pay per search without enrolling into an unlimited membership service. This would be priced at 2 Reverse phone reports at $3.95 each and 2 people search report at $1.95 each; bringing your total to $11.80. Instead you elected for the trial service and you were billed accordingly.

If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team. Our hours of operation are:

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Person owned phone for over 10 years but report was on someone else completely. PeopleFinders comment was this is the last public owner of that phone. This is absolutely not true. Don't waste your time or money with this company.

Hello,

If the newest owner has their phone number listed privately, we will not have access to the record since it is not public record. In this case the most recent owner will be listed.

PeopleFinders has access to billions of public records, including the most recent and 40-years worth of historical data. This allows us to provide information about most every person or business in the United States. Public records are created from a variety of sources, including phone directories, property records, birth and death records, magazine subscriptions and voter registration cards.

Although PeopleFinders provides public records, we do not create or modify them in any way. We are only able to display the information provided in each record, so we cannot guarantee their accuracy. New public records are created every day, so PeopleFinders is always able to offer the most up-to-date and accurate information possible; however, this information must be publicly reported by the person.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I needed the address for the sister of a tenant who moved out without a forwarding address. I knew he lived with his sister prior to moving in with me. His sister is studying to be a nurse and has lived in Southern California for a least a year, if not more, because she is going to Nursing School. I could not find an address for my tenant, so I was contacting his sister so she could let him know I was pursuing legal action for several months of unpaid rent. I found her name and a listing for her in Sterling Heights, Michigan on the site. I was asked to pay a 3 day trial membership for her CURRENT address. Her current address is in California.

I paid and the address for her I got was in Michigan. Totally useless information. When I went to cancel my membership, I was charged a $2.95 cancellation fee. That fee was not visible or explained at the time I paid for the membership. There were pop-ups after pop-ups trying to sell you several different "memberships" to keep you hooked. I hope I canceled properly. I read a review where they kept charging payments after the customer canceled because he only knew to cancel one membership and he was unaware of another membership which they kept billing him. I am worried they will do the same to me. It wasn't a lot of money initially, but if you don't cancel in time, the fees skyrocket.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I'm not a fan of your search engine. I think the $29 a month for the service is excessive. Just my 2 cents. When a person shares a common name with someone sometimes it hard to confirm the individual you need.

Hello,

We understand that memberships are not meant for everyone. If you feel that the membership fee is too steep, we do offer single search fees.

K.G.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I paid for a search on a phone number and not only do I get the same info they already show on Internet for free but want me to pay for additional info and a phone report also cost additional money. Never again will I use or recommend them!

Hello Millie,

We we're not able to locate an account with your information, we would never want to charge you for non information. Please give us a phone call at your earliest convenience so we can review your account, your report and retrieve that information for you.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team. Our hours of operation are:

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: July 21, 2017

Google website information states that the check of individual is free. After you go through the entire process and they process information and then they go to the last screen and want to charge you. What a rip off and in my opinion is false advertising. Where is our government when we need them. Sitting on their butts as usual.

Hello,

PeopleFinders provides free preview results every time you run a search. Our previews may include full names, the city and state of known addresses and possible relatives. You will also be shown what type of information we have available, such as phone numbers, addresses and email. This helps ensure that you are aware of the type of information you wlll receive before you order a report.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Signed up for service today. Completed several searches. Results seemed incorrect, so searched phone numbers of people I knew. They too came back incorrect... all of which had been owned by a friend/family member for 5+ years. When I attempted to cancel membership, was charged a $2 95 cancellation fee. Spoke to customer service rep, she refused to reverse fee. Even though the information I obtained through the service was incorrect. Totally bogus! Buyer beware!

Hello David,

Your order is packaged as a "Report+Trial", the charge of $2.95 applied for your three day trial is non-refundable as it is part of your contract. If you have any questions regarding your account, or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I used the PeopleFinders last few months and I did not get the information from the phone number searching more than 80% of the times. This is very suck service and did not provide me any information when I search for people via phone number

Original review: June 6, 2017

I click on a check our service for a dollar... NOWHERE I "subscribed" to the service!... (STUPID! Don't do it!). Then 2 days later they charged me 25.00 dollars for nothing! 3 days later! Not even sending you "DO YOU WANT TO STAY WITH US?" No, once you entered the info, you're screwed, they will charge you and refuse to refund telling you (YOU're an idiot basically) "cause you did subscribe". SO DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Check complaints on Google, Yahoo, Yelp whatever and ask they be closed down!... Call your bank, file a complaint and write the BBB!

Hello Avianna,

At the time of purchase you chose to receive a discounted price for your report by signing up for a 3 day trial to our Membership. For the period of the membership, it allowed you to run unlimited searches. You had the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We did not receive any notification that you wished to cancel this trial. The 3 day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee on the fourth day. You we’re given the option to pay $3.95 per single search, but this was not selected.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Do NOT use this site. The information you receive is totally inaccurate. They try to blame this occurrence by try getting you to become a full member since "They are updating their data base constantly" and from time to time you may receive old info as in 20 years old! They make it impossible for you to cancel your membership online. You have to call their toll free number that just rings and rings and rings. Again DO NOT USE THIS SITE.

Hello James,

We offer three very easy ways to cancel. You may cancel online through your account, you my cancel by email or you may call us within our business hours to request cancellation.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: May 14, 2017

It said type a name in and wait almost 12 minutes and then I got a request to join for a dollar. I sign up and waited some more but never go the results. I did receive several charges on my card. Two charges for 9.99 and one for $1. Then several days later a charge for $42.99 showed up. I was able to successfully dispute the first charges but PeopleFinders said I didn't cancel in the 5 day policy so I was unable to receive a refund on the $42.99. The problem is I didn't know I needed to cancel in 5 days or that I would be charged $42.99. Do not use PeopleFinders. It's a scam.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I signed up for a 1-time person search for $9.99 and then I find out 11 months later that they have been charging me $24.99 for some rewards program I NEVER signed up for. I had to speak with three different people before anyone even pretended to care. They admitted they could tell that I have only been on their website one time and that I cancelled the $9.99 service. I do not understand how/why there would be two options of memberships anyway, you would think there would be levels perhaps; basic, premium, etc., but not multiple memberships. You are doing a people search. How many memberships are necessary for that? It's just a scam way of you signing up for one thing and cancelling it responsibly, but them tracking on some other 'membership' and continuing to charge your card and hoping you don't check your statement.

Hello Chere,

Our records indicate that you registered for both a 3-day Premium membership trial and a 7-day PF Rewards trial on 06/02/2016. We received your cancellation request for your Premium service online during your trial period, however the PF Rewards service was not cancelled until you called in on 04/17/2017.

You spoke with management and they we’re able to approve refunds for four months as a courtesy. Unfortunately, no further refunds are available for this account. If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: April 11, 2017

Total waste of time. Do not waste your money. This company is a scam. They charge you without your approval and all information is outdated information. I was looking for someone then I received information with the person's unexpired ID, totally different address for 3 years. PeopleFinder had no update info on that. Waste of my time. Going to cancel my credit card because they will keep scamming from what I read.

Original review: April 6, 2017

It said type a name in and wait 15 seconds? After almost 12 minutes I got a request to join and a dollar amount that was well above what I thought it would be. The trouble was waiting then finding out I had to join for a total of about 20 minutes.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write us a review, we appreciate your feedback! If you have any questions regarding your account, or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: April 3, 2017

Too many steps to get to the issue. Way too costly. Very frustrating after spending so much time on the site to find out you have to pay for every little element of your search. Not for me.

Hello Roselea,

We do offer a convenient trial membership if you do not wish to pay on a per-search basis. We offer an unlimited three day trial for both our Basic ($0.95) and our Premium ($7.95) memberships. Please feel free to contact us if you have any futher questions about our membership services and pricing. If you have any questions regarding your account, or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: March 25, 2017

I was looking for my sister and they helped me find her in a short time. I didn't pay any money for the information. I would recommend it to others.

Hello Karen,

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: March 22, 2017

I subscribed to do my own background check and also someone that I am interested in. I never received a background summary of my own background or of the person that I had in question. Was not happy with the response I got and cancelled my subscription. I can say they were very prompt about returning my money. Also they advertised that you would get a free trial for 30 days and that never took place. To me that is false advertising just to draw people in to check out the product they are selling.

Hello Bonnie,

We do not offer a 30-day trial membership, the member price for 30 days of unlimited background checks is $29.95.

Original review: March 6, 2017

PeopleFinders' website is a waste of time. Scammers! If I could give NEGATIVE stars I would!! Worst experience EVER!! I was charged w/out my confirmation then told I was only going to get charged 2.95 for a mistake they made!! I never received a refund, I never used their services & don't plan to.

Original review: March 6, 2017

By far the worst company to use, I have tried to cancel with them three times now and they refuse to stop charging me which is now going to force me to cancel my debit card. They also charged me for service I did not ask for. The rep was so rude and then told me to prove that I had canceled the service. There is no way to do this as the system does not provide a cancellation number. So, as of right now I'm out over $100 for a service that should've been $29.

Hello,

We offer three very easy ways to cancel an account or membership. You may login to your account and cancel your membership or close the account online. You may email or call us and request cancellation. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I received this email from PeopleFinders listing the database of marriage/divorce records that they have. 14 States!?? That is all they have. AND they only have records through 2004? In some states the records end in 1970?!! This is not clearly stated anywhere on the site--and is clearly not as advertised. These people have lost their moral compass.

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have access to information about marriages and divorces in every state. Several states do not post that information online, so our system is unable to retrieve those records. We are including the marriage and divorce coverage below for your convenience. To obtain records from states that are not listed below, you may contact the county office where the marriage or divorce was filed.

Marriage Searches:
Ohio (1970-2004)
Texas (1968-1998)
Utah (1800-1999)

West Virginia (1931-1970)

Results may include bride and groom's name, bride and groom's age at time of marriage, county and/or state, and filing number.

Divorce Searches:
Colorado (1975-2000)
Florida (1970-1999)
Minnesota (1970-2003)
Nevada (1968-2000)

Texas (1968-1998)

Results may include petitioner, respondent, file number, marriage date, and county and/or state of filing.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

We purchased a membership to find a lost relative. The information was wrong and the phone numbers given were unavailable. I wondered how accurate the site was so I entered my name only to find I am "deceased" and apparently I have a criminal record. Both of which are not true.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

Works very well! I was looking into a person from my past and found out some disturbing information on them. Without this service I would not have known about a person and would have put myself in harms way! It was a very very detailed report. I was very happy with all the information I found out about this person. This service is well worth the price. It was very reasonable and I would recommend this to anyone I know. This service is very valuable.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

They do release names, family members, the state and city. The report gives you information on the person that you want to locate/find. All you have to do is type in the name and the state if possible. This will give you better search results. The price that they charge is definitely a fair price in my opinion. I still think that they should change it up a little and lower the price for those who would think that it's too pricey. Based on the reviews and the results that I'd received from using their free service, I would definitely recommend them to others. I think that they'll be pleased with the results.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I wanted to find some information about a potential employee so I used this background service. It provided me with the information I needed to know and was very helpful. It provided me with a report which gave me the information I needed. The price was very reasonable for the information that I needed. I compared the prices to other background services and this one was the cheapest.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Can obtain background information with name, location, etc. home address, telephone #. You select what you want and they will build it into a customized profile for a cost. Provided me with information I was seeking along with rap sheet of felony convictions, jail time, etc. Report was customized to my specifics and provided a comprehensive profile of what this guy had been up to. Low price -- introductory special... $9.99 for what I was looking for. Had it customized to my specifics and was a fair price for the detail that I specified. I was able to obtain the information that I was seeking at a favorable cost. Had the option to pick a variety of specifics. It was extremely valuable to me.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Gave me several names to identify, possible birth DATE, CITY AND ADDRESS MATCHES and let me decide who to look at. I could look at as many on a specific time period as I wanted for a fee. This gave me possible matches based on name, birth date as well as address and possible familial relations. This also included any arrests or legal actions taken on behalf of or against those individuals as well as any criminal charges. I spend about $20 and could look at as many listing as possible that I wanted in a 24 hour period with a detailed report I could print. For unlimited names and possible matches, it was a very good value and would recommend it to anyone who was interested in knowing general details, indication, any need for further investigation or more in-depth research.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

General background check was conducted on the person I was searching, however, it was a simple check with not too many details unless I were to pay a fortune for it. It was a general background check that consisted of criminal record history and schooling and family. It didn't give too much away and only provided your basic search parameters. Price was an issue because they wanted me to shell out a fortune and I don't have that kind of money lying around to pay for something that doesn't turn out right. The value was not up to par and provided little detail regarding what I was going to receive. With a little research online, I found what I was looking for for free.

PeopleFinders.com Company Information