2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

View More View More

PeopleFinders.com Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. I signed up and paid for one month in January, 2020. I cancelled later that month. In February, March, and April they billed my credit card again. My bank flagged some of the charges, but they kept coming. I finally reached someone who agreed to cancel the account. This company engages in completely unethical business practices. There are many more services to help you find people. Use them instead. Don't get ripped off.

Hello Lee,

I am more than happy to take a look at your account to see what was billed and if there is anything else we can do for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: April 28, 2020

Peoplefinders advertised "free" service to look up a person. Once you go through all their processes, you think you're getting your info only to find out on the very last screen that comes up, they're charging you for their service. Where I come from, that's called false advertising, bait & switch, an unethical and illegal. I'm sure the Consumer Fraud Division of the State's Attorney General's office there in Sacramento, CA. would like to investigate Peoplefinders. I'll be submitting my complaint with their office shortly. -Dave.

Hello,

PeopleFinders provides free preview results every time you run a search. Our previews may include full names, the city and state of known addresses and possible relatives. You will also be shown what type of information we have available, such as phone numbers, addresses and email. This helps ensure that you are aware of the type of information you will receive before you order a report. We apologize if you feel misled in any way.

PeopleFinders.com

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I used the service of PeopleFinders today for checking basic information about a lady. I applied for a one-time service. I got a pdf file with the name of that lady as title. Once I opened the pdf file, it was done in the name of a gentleman, that is not her husband and not her father. All the basic information was absolutely useless! I did a search myself on the internet and I found the lady on Facebook and also a Company she was part of and the place she is working today!!! I called PeopleFinders, got to speak easily to a courteous assistant and she was nice and did rerun the check, but came back saying that the result was the same! So I told her about my personal search, and asked my money. She told me that this will be effective in 3 days. To be followed.

Hello Tom,

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: April 9, 2020

I looked up a number to locate who is harassing me. They said it was free. Then they claim to have all of the information but now I have to pay for it. Bait and switch. This is nothing but a scam, preying off of people's need to know who is harassing them. Don't waste your time.

Hello Sierra,

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: April 1, 2020

I signed up to see if I could find any information on the people that stole a classic car that was left to me by father. The information was inaccurate and unhelpful. I called to cancel and spoke to someone that told me they would cancel but that I would still have access up until the end of the 7-day trial. Checking through my account and I see I have been getting charged for the service. I emailed to let them know of their error and they proceeded to tell me that it was my fault. They said they would not refund my money but they would give me vouchers. I didn't use the service at all after I cancelled so what would I need vouchers for?

This is the worst kind of customer service I have ever had. I didn't use the service beyond the trial days and I called to cancel within the trial days. They can clearly see I did not use the service. It is a rip-off to accept that I am in the wrong and not their employee who failed to cancel it correctly. I suspect they do this routinely, fail to cancel the account correctly, so they can collect extra months of fees and play dumb. Do what's right Peoplefinders and refund me for unused access to a service I didn't use.

Hello Ben,

PeopleFinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: March 24, 2020

I signed up for a free trial for $0.99 to look up a phone number’s owner. Then they offered me to send a “PDF REPORT” via email for an additional $0.50. The pdf was nothing more than the name and the phone number, which I had taken a screenshot for. Had I known I’d get the same information, I wouldn’t have paid for it. To top it off, I canceled the free trial Right away, and they charged me $2.95 for it. I called and the rep Irma told me she was not going to give me my money back because it was stated in my screen that if I cancel the free trial before 3 days I would be charge. I NEVER saw that statement, otherwise why would I pay more to cancel a free trial than what I paid for the service? Total non-sense! They are misleading and their tricks are a total rip off!

Hello,

I am more than happy to take a look at your account to see what was signed up with and if there is anything else we can do for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 23, 2020

They tried to charge me the next day for a monthly fee.. Their information was less than I could find on Facebook.. It locked up my ATM card because of fraud charges! I had to get a new card.. Embarrassing to have Safeway say my card was declined!!!

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I called to cancel my account completely. I requested to erase all of my personal information such as my name, credit card and home address. I was told that they cannot help me and that my personal information will have to remain in my account even if I don't use it. So I can cancel my personal information from a Gmail account but I cannot from these sleazy people? Do yourselves a favor and do not open an account with them or you'll regret it.

Hello,

You do have the right to remove your personal account information from your customer account. I am more than happy to do this for you. Please send me your email address on file so that I can further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

This company solicited me and for a $1 they would check someones files. I paid the dollar and checked that I did not want the service and I've never used it since. Visa/Costco called and wondered about the charge - I didn't even know I was being charged (which is probably my fault) as I did cancel it. From 2018 until today they have nailed me in excess of $800./00ik.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I, like so many others used this shady service to locate the owner of a phone number and thought I was paying a small fee of around $1.50 and months later I see they charged me $24.95 from July through November (a total of $125.00 for NOTHING). When I called them to complain they said they could only credit me for 2 months! What a way to make a living! Who are we going to scam today?! They sound very professional when you talk to them on the phone but they are crooks.

PeopleFinders.com author review by Ben Mannes

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

PeopleFinders.com Company Information