1.49/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a background check company?

PeopleFinders.com

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

View More View More

58 PeopleFinders.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

Peoplefinders has terrible customer support!!! I don't have an issue with the search portion of the site, it's just the fact they send me some stupid form email letter to opt out of my number & name being displayed in reverse phone# search field. It's always "we can't find that listing nonsense of theirs" sighs, well it's coming up every time when I do a search. So someone's not smelling their own BS, or very incompetent at the least. Neither is good IMO, SMH. :(

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your request to opt out from the website. If you would send me a private message with your information that you are showing on the website, I would be happy to take a look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ordered a 1 time background check for $1.95, 5 days later a charge for a monthly subscription shows up on my credit card. Okay, I failed to read the very small print on page 5, I accepted that charge as a my fault. I go to the "my account" page and cancel, but I get a notice that I can still use the site for the month of my paid subscription. So, I run a background check on a neighbor and WHAM, almost immediately, I get a notification that PeopleFinders charged my credit card $11.95. I call PeopleFinders and was told I only bought the basic search of name (I already knew the name), the address (again, this was known to me) and phone number (again, already knew that), and 3 email addresses (didn't care about those). So that is why I paid $11.95, plus the $19.95 for the basic worthless information. I did get the report, but it basically cost me $32.00.

These little facts seem to be very well hidden on the page. They did provide what they promised. But be careful when you order anything from them. That 1 check for $1.95 will lock you into a subscription with no refunds, and it will be the basic that is really of no value. I mean in order to request the report you need a name, address, but they charge you to give you that. Just be careful and keep in mind if you do order, READ EVERY LINE or you will be paying for worthless information because you already know it.

Hello Terry,

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you could please send me a private message wit your full name and email address, I will get this matter handled. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

PeopleFinders.com | Reviews • Complaints • Ratings | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 21, 2018

Ordered two reports from them. The first one was just relatives, so the second one I paid for a background check on a relative and got just her birthday, age, and one address for her, which was something I already knew. When I called the man at customer care, he refused to give me a refund... This is definitely a RIP-OFF company. Don't waste your time or money!!!

Hi Alicia,

I would be more than happy to assist you with this matter. I am unable to locate an account for you to be able to assist you further. If you could please send me a private message with your email address and full name so that I can take a look into this for you that would be great.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 20, 2018

The information on this website vs. the information on other websites I ended up using for only $1 was inaccurate. In addition the charges were more than advertised and their advertising/pricing is totally deceptive.

Hello Joseph,

We sincerely apologize that you had this experience with our company. If you would, please send me a private response with your account information with us, I would be more than happy to get this rectified for you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 23, 2018

$10.45 for literally nothing. All I wanted was a wedding date that I knew existed, it's just that the particular state doesn't post online. These yahoos didn't have it and a ton of other information that should have been there if this was a reputable service. I eventually found Ancestry.com and got what I wanted. Lots more information and $9.95 rather than 29.95/month! I am sure there are others and I am not affiliated with any of them. Just felt PeopleFinders.com is a total ripoff. Nothing that isn't freely available on the internet.

Hi Donald,

Our website offers the most current public record information available. However, there is some information that specific counties will not give out online to record databases. This may have been the case for the records you were looking for with us. We do offer different report options and memberships on our website, so the pricing depends on what you are wanting. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Peoplefinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: May 22, 2018

I paid $3.95 for a search on the 18th of may. Later that day, may 18th, I went to their website and cancelled. They now charged me $29.+ for a monthly fee. You cannot stop them from taking your money even after you cancelled. They are a major scam!!! Run, don't walk away from this site!

Hi Tony,

I sincerely apologize that this was your experience with our company. Based on your information that is available, I am unable to locate your account with us so that I may rectify this for you. If you could please send me a private response with your full name and email address that you used with us, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 21, 2018

I think a background check on the thieves at PeopleFinders is in order. They take credit card then you can't log in, Scam?! Find another site if you want information, the only info you get here is "Login" then nothing happens!

Hi David,

We are unable to locate an account for you to be able to further assist you. If you would, please send me a private response with your full name and email address. If you are not able to log in to access what you have paid for, we would definitely like to rectify this for you. Once I have your information, I will be able to further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 14, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would. I paid for a public report & I received no info but names & former addresses! Website states births, marriages, divorces, etc are to be included! Absolute waste of money! When I requested refund it was denied! Buyer beware! They take your $ & you get nothing in return! I only wish I would have read customer reviews before I paid!

Hello,

Our site does give you the results on the searches the customer is referring to. However, we offer different price points for different products. Basic reports will give you name, phone number and address. Our comprehensive reports will give you further information such as marriages, divorces, criminal history, property information, etc. You would be asked to upgrade the report if you are only paying for basic information and are requesting more. Thank you.

PeopleFinders

Original review: May 10, 2018

Wanted a $1.95 one time report to locate a phone number for an old friend. We got the report, but we were also charged $12.48 for a membership. When I called to inquire about this charge, I was told it could not be removed. The report had several numbers listed, and when I clicked on a phone number, I was told that automatically ran another report. Nowhere on this site did it tell me this could happen. What a scam!

Hello,

We are unable to locate an account for the customer based on the information provided. It sounds as if the customer selected a post transaction offer for 50% off the regular priced membership. If the customer could email me directly, I have sent a private message with my email; I would be more than happy to look into this and get it rectified. Thank you.

customercare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: April 30, 2018

PeopleFinders Review. I selected a .95 one time fee to display the owner of a phone. PeopleFinders provided a fake name that I validated through state and county databases and refused to provide a full report. I immediately realized I was scammed, and cancelled. They charged me $2.95 to cancel. I emailed them and KC responded stating I agreed to the charge when I opted for a 'free trial membership'. I did not opt for the membership and have screenshots showing such. The $2.95 cancellation fee only applied to membership selections. They refused to refund. I found they also hide a "LIMITED GUARANTEE" on their site basically stating they can provide you inaccurate information and you still have to pay. I've filed complaints for false and deceptive advertising practices with the FTC, CFPB and BBB. I hope it was worth the $3, PeopleFinders, AKA Confi-Check!

Hello,

We do show that we have already assisted the customer in this matter on 5/1/2018. We have explained what she signed up with, which was a trial membership for $2.95 along with her original report for $0.95. We have credited back the account fully, we apologize for any confusion on the website. We have also advised that, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee accuracy of data, which is why it can sometimes be incorrect. Again, we apologize for the confusion.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 28, 2018

I only got a name that current address was not even up to date and I have billed and billed numerous times $.99, $1.99 over and over monthly. Now I get billed 2499. Something's got to be done. This is ridiculous. You are ripping people off for nothing.

Hello,

We did not find an account using the information you supplied. Please call us at the number listed below so we can help you with your account.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

Saturday-Sunday 7:00AM-3:30PM (PST)

Original review: March 23, 2018

I paid $0.95 for a free trial. They didn't even get the right name for the guy who had the number for 10 years. They gave me nothing of what they said they were going to give me and charge me almost $4 for 30 seconds non-useful information. I don't know who's letting him get away with this stuff but they are stealing from people.

Hello Jennie,

PeopleFinders.com obtains information from a variety of public records sources, but we do not create or modify these records in any way. If a phone number was not listed in your report or is showing something other than expected, it is because the owner has not reported the number to a public records source. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. PeopleFinders provides addresses, email and other information to help you contact most any person in the United States.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Terrible! Misleading. Used to find address for old friend. Charge was indicated as $4.95. They hit my debit card for $44.95. Shame on me for trusting anything on the internet. BOA contacts me for fraud alert. They believe I'm not that stupid. I cancelled with people finders. Before the bank shut them off they went in again and hit my account. Called into PeopleFinders, they go out of their way to anger you into hanging up and moving on... do not use!!!

Hello Scott,

Please contact us so we can go over your billing and explain what you were billed for an why.

Please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I used this service and apparently didn't cancel before the free membership expired. That was fine. I paid the $24.95 renewal fee. I then contacted PeopleFinders.com to cancel my membership. They assured me that I couldn't be refunded for the money which was fine, but now I was charged again.

Hello Mary,

If you were charged again after you cancel please call us so we can look into this.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

When I did a 1 time search to test the product, I did a search on my own phone number which I have had for 20 years. All returns info was totally incorrect and when I asked for a refund, I was denied and they said they make no claims about accuracy. Total scam. They falsely target people.

Hello Dave,

PeopleFinders.com obtains information from a variety of public records sources, but we do not create or modify these records in any way. If a phone number was not listed in your report or showing under someone else’s name, it is because the owner has not reported the number to a public records source. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team at (800) 718-8997.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I signed up for a trial subscription in June 2017 as I wanted to find one address. I canceled that trial within the 5 day period. However, it appears that PeopleFinders has continued to charge me $24.55 per month since then. I didn't realize what this charge was when it appeared on my credit card as it is not state PeopleFinders as the source. I was finally able to figure it out. When I spoke to customer service today, I was able to get 5 months credit.

I believe that I should get credit for all of the months back to June as I never signed up to pay this. I have an email with an order confirmation for June 6, 2017 for $5. I do have any thing from PeopleFinders showing another upgrade account, as I did not sign up. I have not used PeopleFinders during that time at all, and that can be verified. I know that there are numbers complaints regarding unauthorized billing and I am very angry about spending this money for a service I did not authorize or utilize.

Hello,

The charge of $24.99 is for PeopleFinders Rewards program. You signed up for a 7-day trial on 6/26/2017. We did not receive notification that you wished to cancel this within your 7-day trial period, therefore you were billed $24.99 and for every month thereafter.

As stated in our Terms of Use, we do not typically offer refunds for the product you ordered. While we are unable to offer you a full refund, keep in mind we refunded over half the charges and canceled the auto renewal.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Deceptive billing, charged 24.95 on 2nd of month then 24.99 on 5th of the month. Cancelled online on Jan 31st. Was billed Feb 2 & 5th again. Called and was told I did not cancel in time and that I had only cancelled my regular membership not my rewards membership which I did not sign up for. I was told I could use the services thru Mar 7th, but they would not cancel both memberships immediately and refund my money. Total SCAM! I was going to use this for new employee screening but the information supplied was no more than I could from a google search. Terrible service.

Hello Phil,

We are unable to locate the account with the info you provided. Please call us at 800-718-8997 to review your account

To run pre-employment screenings or tenant screening, you will need to work with a company that is FCRA compliant. You will also need to obtain a release from each applicant before you run the search. Our service only provides public data (voter registration, property ownership, etc.) and we do not guarantee our results because of this. We are not FCRA compliant.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Either this company's access to public information is extremely flawed or it is a scam. I searched a KNOWN person in my family that has a lengthy criminal record and currently incarcerated. None of this came back in the check. The only valid info was known relatives, which had many gaps. STAY away from this service if you are using to check on someone for your safety. Simply inaccurate information. Because I know the person I searched, I found accurate information on the open internet. DO NOT use this as any sort of standard for a comprehensive background check. For those who complained that they were billed inaccurately. Their billing and trial dates and costs are clearly stated. Stop clicking through things to get to the end.

Hello David,

We apologize you were unable to find what you were looking for. When it comes to Criminal records, each state has different laws set into place as to what they can release and what is considered “public record”.

We allocate criminal records from three sources in each state, the DOC, the AOC and the DPS. Every state has limitations on what they can release, you will need to check with your state departments regarding public coverages to see what is available.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We are a small business. We signed up for PeopleFinders because we got tired of being scammed by customers. Most customers are wonderful, but a few small time criminals slip through and can cause a small mom and pop business like ours some significant financial damages. Unlike most people we did read the fine print, we knew of what it would cost us. After trying this and that, we settled on a monthly membership, so that we could run a background search any day we need it. Some months we don't need to search, some months we do one or two searches.

We like the fact that as soon as anything out of the ordinary happens we can run a search and get to "check off" a point for misunderstanding or for possible illegal shenanigans. While we don't decline service based of the results of the search, it helps us be on guard ahead of time. Now cheaters can't so easily take advantage of our good and trusting nature and desire to accommodate everyone. PeopleFinders is very helpful. What would make them better is if their search results were more accurate and up to date. For instance they don't have info on people from before the world got to do everything on the internet, but rather have info on more recent activities. So finding someone from long long ago is problematic.

Hello Elena,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write us a review, thank you for your feedback, PeopleFinders is always looking to improve our site features. We will be sure to send your feedback to our enhancement team.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

After paying $3.95 to do a simple people search with People Finders I was excited to see contact information. All I was looking for was a couple phone numbers. I was told I could do searches for 3 Days with the trial 3.95 sign up fee. So the first day I did find the people I was searching for with phone and address. I immediately made phone calls to the current phone numbers listed for both related people. In each case the phone numbers were not correct and belonged to other people. I didn’t get answers or a return call from the messages I left but the sound of the message asking me to leave a message wasn’t the right voice for the elderly folks I was trying to find. So I decided to cancel my trial the next day. Guess what... It costs $2.95 to cancel the trial. That was nowhere mentioned when I signed up. So it costs me $7.00 to find 2 bogus phone numbers. Stay away from this company! They are not upfront about their charges or services!

Hello Carol,

PeopleFinders.com obtains information from a variety of public sources, but we do not create or modify these records in any way. If a phone number was not listed, discontented or no response it is because the owner has not reported the number to a public records source.
    As stated during checkout, an additional fee of $2.95 will be applied to your account for the trial you selected.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care (800) 718-8997.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Scam... read the fine print - I find this website and used it to find 1 person. I was charged an initial "TRIAL MEMBERSHIP" of $1. I wanted to print the report in PDF form so guess what... another $1.95 charge. 5 days later, I'm charged another $44.95 for my first month's subscription to their website. I was never asked if I wanted to pay $1.95 for the PDF form nor was I told that I was signing up for an on-going charge... for a service that I initiate IF I ever want to use it again. $44.95 per month. WHAT kind of crap is that? Then when I called to cancel my subscription to get my money refunded I was told no, they do not refund membership fees but I do have full access to their information for the next ?? days. Uhhhh NO! I want my money back. This is fraudulent activity and is sitting there waiting for stupid people like me to fall for it. DON'T DO IT! STOP! DON'T! You will be almost $50 better off.

Hello Melody,

We did not find an account using the information you supplied. Please call or send us the e-mail you used to create your account at PeopleFinders.com.

PeopleFinders Customer Care

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

In front of the paywall, I did a search for a phone number. They claimed to have the information relative to the phone number I searched for (name, address, AKA's, email, etcetera). Once I paid, they revealed that the number was private and that they did not have any information. They are intentionally lying. They are a complete scam.

Hello Kenneth,

In the event that we are not able to locate any information on the number you requested you are not billed. Please contact our customer care department by phone our email with the information listed below. We would be happy to review the account with you.

Monday-Friday 7:00AM-6:00PM (PST)

Saturday-Sunday 7:00AM-11:30AM and 12:30PM-3:30PM (PST)

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My recommendation is to not use this site at all. I used it to try and find my husband's lost cellphone. When I realized this site would not accomplish this task, I left and removed my history from my device. Since then, I keep getting notifications that they have found additional information about this phone number. I have requested to have these notifications to be stopped. They claim they cannot do this. Visit at your own risk.

Hello Betty,

In order to prevent further notifications from being sent to you, click on the cog symbol in the upper right-hand corner of the notification box. This will direct you to the Notification Settings menu for your internet browser. From here, simply click on the three dots located to the right of the PeopleFinders website, and press "Block".

PeopleFinders Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I called 11/4/17 to cancel the subscription because somehow I was getting charged $29.95 a month for a site I used ONCE and paid $0.50 sent for a report and thought that was it. They were to refund the money to my account and I have email confirmation of this. I checked my account and the refund was credited to my account and then deducted from my account BY PEOPLEFINDER without authorization the same day! So unless the money is credited to my account and not deducted two seconds later, I will continue to feel this company is a scam. So then I try to call customer service and I just get a message telling me saying I called after business hours when the site clearly states it’s open weekends until 330 and I’ve been calling since 8am but of course no real human being actually answers the phone so I’m stuck with no customer service and I’m out $30. Cool.

Hello Shannon,

At the time of purchase on 9/28/2017, you chose to receive a discounted price on your Background Check for signing up for a 5-day trial to our PeopleFinders Premium Monthly Membership. For the period of the membership it allowed you to run unlimited searches. You had the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We have received your cancellation by phone on 11/4/2017 after the 5-day trial has ended. The 5-day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee of $29.95 on the sixth day, and for every month thereafter.

We have removed the auto-renewal for this membership per your request on 11/4/2017 and you will not be billed going forward.

The representative you spoke with got approval from management to issue one curtsey refund of $29.95. Unfortunately, no further refunds are available for this account. If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team.

Monday-Friday-7:00AM-6:00PM (PST)

Saturday-Sunday7:00AM-3:30PM (PST)

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

PeopleFinders is dedicated to helping you find people and learn more about them in a safe and responsible manner. PeopleFinders is not a Consumer Reporting Agency (CRA) as defined by the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). This site cannot be used for employment, credit or tenant screening, or any related purpose. To learn more, please visit our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

People Finders has very poor Customer Service and Management. I was continuously set up on a monthly deduction from my credit card that I never requested. I ordered a background check for one background and they turned it into 6 months of monthly charges. When I caught it and called to complain about the fraud they said they would give me a 3 month credit. Not enough! I called twice and asked to speak to a manager. Both times I was told my call would be returned by a manager and it never happened! I will never use this service again because they just want to grab hold of your credit card and run it up!

Hello Julia,

Our records indicate that you chose to make and additional purchase to receive a discounted price of $12.48 on a PeopleFinders membership by signing up for a 30-day trial. For the period of the membership, it allows you to run unlimited searches. You have the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We did not receive any notification that you wished to cancel this trial. The 30-day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee of $24.95 on the 31st day, and for every month thereafter.

We received your cancellation request by phone on 11/3/2017 for your PeopleFinders Membership service. The representative you spoke with got approval from management and was able to refund three months as a curtesy.

Our records show that management called you on 11/7/2017 and got a voicemail. Management confirmed no further refunds are available for this account. If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I got People Finders one time and I canceled the next day, never found the correct person. Well, apparently they have billed me over $249.00 and over. I only went back so many months so there could still be more charges and I only used it one time then canceled. Yes, this a total scam and should be stopped. In fact any and all autopay or renewals should not be done online. To me the key are all scams.

Hello Anja,

At the time of purchase, you chose to receive a discounted price for your report by signing up for a 3-day trial to our Membership. For the period of the membership, it allowed you to run unlimited searches. You had the option to cancel this membership trial at any time via your account manager on the website, via email, or with a representative over the phone.

We did not receive any notification that you wished to cancel this trial. The 3-day trial has ended; therefore, you were charged the membership fee of $24.95 on the fourth day, and for every month thereafter.

Per your written request, and as a onetime courtesy, we will grant three refunds of $24.95. Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to process back into your credit or debit card.

We have also cancelled your membership on 11/14/2017.

Our records also show you signed up for PeopleFinders Rewards program for $24.99. This membership allows you to get $1 Reports (People, Background, Criminal, Phone, Property), Assisted Searches, Genealogy Searches, PeopleFinders Local (deep discounts on thousands of local and national products). We did not receive notification that you wished to cancel this within your 7-day trial period, therefore you were billed $24.99 and for every month thereafter.

We have cancelled this membership on 11/14/2017 for you and have refunded three charges of $24.99 as a one-time courtesy. Please allow three to five business days for this credit to reflect on your account.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

First the reverse phone search was inaccurate with every number I entered, then the people search also inaccurate. I paid .95 for unlimited searches for three days. This was a waste of money. I canceled my membership within the three days time span so I wouldn't be charged regular membership fees since the service was trash anyway only to find out I'm being charged 2.95 just to cancel my membership. I received absolutely nothing for the money I spent so this company is a total ripoff. Beware before signing up for a membership with these con artists.

Hello,

The offer that you accepted was a Report + Trial offer. This discounted your first report from $3.95 down to $0.95 and included a unlimited 3 day trial. We do not offer a free trial service so your total is $0.95 (Report) + $2.95 (Trial). This was disclosed on your order.

You did have the option to take the single price and pay per search without enrolling into an unlimited membership service. This would be priced at 2 Reverse phone reports at $3.95 each and 2 people search report at $1.95 each; bringing your total to $11.80. Instead you elected for the trial service and you were billed accordingly.

If you have any questions or need further assistance with your PeopleFinders account, please call our Customer Care Team. Our hours of operation are:

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Person owned phone for over 10 years but report was on someone else completely. PeopleFinders comment was this is the last public owner of that phone. This is absolutely not true. Don't waste your time or money with this company.

Hello,

If the newest owner has their phone number listed privately, we will not have access to the record since it is not public record. In this case the most recent owner will be listed.

PeopleFinders has access to billions of public records, including the most recent and 40-years worth of historical data. This allows us to provide information about most every person or business in the United States. Public records are created from a variety of sources, including phone directories, property records, birth and death records, magazine subscriptions and voter registration cards.

Although PeopleFinders provides public records, we do not create or modify them in any way. We are only able to display the information provided in each record, so we cannot guarantee their accuracy. New public records are created every day, so PeopleFinders is always able to offer the most up-to-date and accurate information possible; however, this information must be publicly reported by the person.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I needed the address for the sister of a tenant who moved out without a forwarding address. I knew he lived with his sister prior to moving in with me. His sister is studying to be a nurse and has lived in Southern California for a least a year, if not more, because she is going to Nursing School. I could not find an address for my tenant, so I was contacting his sister so she could let him know I was pursuing legal action for several months of unpaid rent. I found her name and a listing for her in Sterling Heights, Michigan on the site. I was asked to pay a 3 day trial membership for her CURRENT address. Her current address is in California.

I paid and the address for her I got was in Michigan. Totally useless information. When I went to cancel my membership, I was charged a $2.95 cancellation fee. That fee was not visible or explained at the time I paid for the membership. There were pop-ups after pop-ups trying to sell you several different "memberships" to keep you hooked. I hope I canceled properly. I read a review where they kept charging payments after the customer canceled because he only knew to cancel one membership and he was unaware of another membership which they kept billing him. I am worried they will do the same to me. It wasn't a lot of money initially, but if you don't cancel in time, the fees skyrocket.

CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I'm not a fan of your search engine. I think the $29 a month for the service is excessive. Just my 2 cents. When a person shares a common name with someone sometimes it hard to confirm the individual you need.

Hello,

We understand that memberships are not meant for everyone. If you feel that the membership fee is too steep, we do offer single search fees.

K.G.

PeopleFinders.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs