1.28/5

Need a background check company?

PeopleFinders.com

PeopleFinders.com gives you the ability to run a Background Check on anyone, anywhere. You can easily find Public Records for just about every adult in the United States. Access our data 24/7 from any mobile device, tablet or computer. Use a PeopleFinders' Background Check to obtain useful facts about anyone before making important decisions.

Our detailed Background Reports include records from local, state, and national sources.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

75 PeopleFinders.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

If I could give no stars, I would. I know PeopleFinders will be replying to this review stating "we do not guarantee all the info will be in the report. Certain states, and or counties list the information that can be disclosed". Guys, just look at their weak ** response to the reviews on here. I just wasted 29.95 for no background check. I know what is on my background, I just wanted to confirm something.

When you pay the initial 29.95, they try and swoop you in to get their special. "Come and get 50% if you sign up for monthly reports." or, "Pay an additional 9.95 for reverse phone lookup." I'm telling you, do not, I repeat, DO NOT give them your money. There are better websites, and other resources than wasting your money here. If you are looking for a detailed report, do your due diligence and go to the counties which you may have had a case in. This website is garbage, and frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves for false advertising.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I paid the $3.95 for a reverse phone number lookup one-time report. The page button to order says "get report now". All I got is an email saying it will take 24 hrs and another email welcoming me to the membership. How dishonest is that? On top of it all, they mislead you by showing results found but you must pay to get them, but, the fine print says there may actually not be any results. Money for nothing. I did not agree to membership, I did not get my report NOW. I bet I do not get my requested refund, either. I hope karma exists. Finally, don't call them. They don't care.

Jay,

Some of our reports may take up to 24 hours to get information on. This is to ensure you are getting everything that may be out there on the individual you are searching on. If you would please send me your email on file, I would be more than happy to take a look into the issue for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

USELESS.COM, WASTEOFHOPE.COM, WASTEOFTIME.COM, NOTHING.FINDERS should be the name of y’alls website. Customer service answered quit to say no transfer me to a supervisor voicemail. I just want my 9.95 back so I can get myself lunch which is ACTUALLY beneficial. If you guys put as much effort into your superb advertising as you did in ACTUALLY doing a background check then you’d have better reviews. Just close your site down if it’s no good. Plain and simple. How are y’all going to advertise honestly and sell lies!!! Save your money and yourself some grief. You’d be better off calling a lawyer's office and doing a consultation about expungements and they’ll tell you what’s on your background for FREE!!! NOTHING.COM should be the name of this site.

Hello Britt,

We apologize you did not get the results you were hoping for with your search. Although we do not guarantee any specific results, I would be more than happy to look into this for you. Please send over your email address on file so that we can get this rectified.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

It LITERALLY found nothing. GREAT advertising though, if y’all put the money into ACTUALLY doing a background check y’all would have superb reviews... On hold right now for customer service!!! Checked on several people my girlfriend and roommate... NOTHING when we know there is... TF you guys... Just be legit!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I needed a search on a name that had four divorces known. The result came back with zero results. Needed those dates for official forms. Useless to me and $30 out of pocket. Complete waste of money... Offered no refunds. The site states divorce and marriage records. But none given. Do not give these people a dime.

Hi Neil,

our website does not guarantee any type of records since different states and counties have different stipulations on what they will release. This is all stated in our terms of use to review when you sign up. If you would please send me your email address on file with us, I would be more than happy to take a look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleFinders.com?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I signed up for 1 month reports membership, which is $19.95 for 1st month and $29.95 each month thereafter until canceled. This membership claims to provide reports on a multitude of records, which includes things such as addresses, phone numbers, known associates, court records, arrest records, birth, death, marriage and death records, etc... I read and agreed to all the information presented, and accepted that there was a no refund policy. HOWEVER, what I did not expect was that PeopleFinders.com falsely advertises what they can provide; and if they actually do provide this information, then it must be in very rare instances, in which case I do not believe they should advertise this as a service without qualifying what that means. I only went to this site for the sole purpose of looking up the marriage and divorce records of one person before I signed a legal document attesting to the facts around that.

In the report I got, I was gravely disappointed to find that not only were the marriage and divorce records not included, but little else was included as well. In fact, everything in it was something I already knew! It was a complete waste of my money! Out of curiosity, I decided to bring up my own name and see what was in my report. After all I might as well make use of the money I spent, right? Again, I was very disappointed. Not only was there a lack of information on me, including both of my marriages and one divorce, no birth record, and even an obvious gap in my associates including my own family, but there was an overwhelming amount of people that were listed as my associates whom I've never met and never heard of. Simply put, my own record was lacking in accurate information and contained a number of inaccuracies.

I proceeded to research the site on how I could correct my record, but all I found out is PeopleFinders.com denies responsibility for the accuracy of the information on their site, because they gather this information from a variety of sources, and they will not change any of the information. I wrote them an email advising them of my experience and suggested they improve the accuracy of their records. Their response was to send me a form letter repeating what I already knew.

So, I sent a second email expressing my disappointment in their response and the fact that they did not address my concerns directly. I reiterated my concern and expressed my concern that when someone pays money to access information about me (or anyone) that is incorrect, then they can make inaccurate assumptions about me (or the person they are researching) and PeopleFinders.com assumes no responsibility for it. I told them I felt it was unethical. In that email I made suggestions on how to improve their business practices by verifying the information they obtain, and being willing to correct false information, as well as adding links to the source of that information.

Their response was nearly as unresponsive as their first. And their explanation was ludicrous. So, I decided to look at reviews given this website, which unsurprisingly and consistently earned 1 star ratings. With every complaint about PeopleFinders.com they responded with the same message over and over: "Please send us your email so we can address the problem." I feel that robotic response only confirms that PeopleFinders.com is truly not interested in helping, making their business better or more ethical or truly communicating. I'm utterly fed up.

Michelle,

We show that we have already addressed this issue with you through the Better Business Bureau. We have refunded and closed the account. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I retrieved my credit report through an online service while car shopping. This site came and state I needed to pay a $1 fee to continue to retrieve my report. I got the report and IMMEDIATELY cancelled the service yet my card was billed monthly at $39.95. When I called customer service to request a refund I was given the runaround. I escalated my call to a supervisor who basically told me I was out of luck. He refused to refund the charges, was rude and condescending. I closed my card to avoid any more unauthorized charges but can't seem to get this company to refund what they took without my permission.

Teresa,

Our company does not offer any type of credit report services. I would be happy to look into this for you to see if you had made any type of purchase with PeopleFinders.com. However, it does like like you've contacted a different company. If you would please privately send me your email address that you used to make the purchase with, I would be more than happy to double check for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I obtained a background check with inaccurate criminal information that I know are 10 years out of date. I would like to know the source of where this information is coming from to get this inaccurate information corrected.

Gwendolyn,

Each state has different laws set into place as to what they can release. We allocate criminal records from three sources in each state, the DOC , the AOC and the DPS. These different departments release different types of records such as felonies, misdemeanors and traffic infractions. Every state has limitations on what they can release, you will need to check with your state departments regarding public coverage to see what is available.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

NEVER use this company. THIS IS A SCAM. I paid $3 for a reverse phone lookup in 2015 and they’ve been charging my credit card $25 per month for THREE YEARS. When I contacted customer service, they were useless.

Hello Corinna,

We do have a lot of different products on the website, it sounds as though there may have been a membership signed up with. I am more than happy to look into this for you. I would need you to privately send me your email address on file with us.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

A family member has a history of dating people who claim to be divorced but are still married. Wanted to see if family member's boyfriend was divorced or not. This site was recommended by a county. Paid for a PDF form because this was my first experience with these types of sites so just opted for a PDF record copy. When I received the report, it stated how there was no marriage or divorced record found. That was the whole point of purchasing this report. All it told me was information I already knew and didn't need. Very disappointed with this outcome. Waste of time and $10.45. Would not recommend and claiming to be "free public search" is also very misleading because these types of sites always want you to pay for some sort of membership. Glad I did not opt for the trial or any other services. Will be checking next month to make sure they did not opt in in some sort of membership service to collect money.

Hello Janny,

Although PeopleFinders provides public records, we do not create or modify them in any way. We are only able to display the information provided in each record, so we cannot guarantee their accuracy or any type of record that may or may not be available. We do not see this information until you pay to run the search. We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please privately provide me with your email address on file so that I may assist you further.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Horrible service. I ran a background check on a potential tenant. All the personal info such as full name, date of birth, relatives, etc was correct. It was for the person I was running a check on. The criminal background check however was for a different person. The race was wrong and the date of birth didn't match. I called their customer service and they refused to refund my money or fix the issue. They recommended another website which just happens to be owned by them.

Hello Mary,

It is actually against our terms of use to run a background check for tenant screening purposes because we are not an FCRA compliant company. In that case, we would definitely cancel out your account and refer you to a company that does screenings. Please privately send me your email address on file so that I may look into this for you.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I wanted to look up a SINGLE report and I accidentally selected a 6 month membership that was $59!!! I just wanted one report and I called for a refund and they stated they can't give a refund. I only needed a single report not a whole 6 month membership like come on now... bad customer service on top of it. I wasn't even asking for a full refund but after I've been through I need a full refund.

Hello Jassmine,

I would be more than happy to assist you in this matter. If you would please privately send me your email address on file with us, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I used the reverse phone number search for a cell number in Washington state. After compiling a report, a message appeared which said "Success! Full address available." So, I paid $3.95 for a one-time report. When it appeared, there was no address. When I asked for a refund, they said that I only paid for a search, no any results, AND gave me an address for a person with a different name who lives in California, not Washington. I just repeated my search, and got the SAME message: Full address available. This is plainly dishonest.

Mark,

We are more than happy to look into this for you. Please privately provide your email address on file with us so that we may assist you further.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I paid the 29.99 for a full report. I received name, phone number, and last known address. Everything you can see before you pay. When I contacted them for a refund they said they would give me one free report, that they don’t issue refunds. Why would I try that again? And if there was more than one person I needed to look into why would I pay for just the one... Their site promises all this info and then doesn’t deliver. False advertising. If there’s no info on the person they should tell you that before they offer you all this info that they don’t have.

Hello Brittney,

I am very sorry that you had this experience. Normally, we would not provide refund for our background checks; simply because we are running the search on your behalf to see what is available on an individual, not to return any specific result. We are unable to guarantee any type of results on a particular record. I am more than happy to rectify this for you. Please privately send me your email address on file so that I may assist you further.

PeopleFinders

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

If you get a charge from this company that is unwarranted, simply ask the customer service of your credit card to do a "chargeback". You will not only get your money back, but it will eventually cost this company money because they get charged a fee when a customer does chargebacks due to their fraudulent activity. I went to the site often over the years simply to verify dob and name, for a small fee, but recently like many others I was charged for a full background check when I didn't wish for one at all. They will not give you a refund no matter how long you've been a customer so just do a chargeback and never use this site again. When I spoke to customer service at Visa it seems they are aware of this companies scams so they do and will promise your money back if you are sincere and have good standing. These companies do not have good standing so don't be afraid to complain to your card company.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

They require significant information about you to "verify" the account. This information then appears to be sold to others using their service. If there's any problem with your account, and you can't resolve the login problem, your Credit card number associated with that account is not usable on any other accounts - so you have no recourse to continue service. Their customer service is atrocious.

Mike,

We apologize for any miscommunication during your usage with us. You are allowed only one account per credit card number, this is to prevent multiple charges on the same credit card number that may lead to the same service. We absolutely do not sell customer's private account information. We would be more than happy to look into the issue for you. Please message me your account information so that I may assist you further.

Peoplefinders.com

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I signed up for a trial review for $1.99. This corrupt business has charged my card since then, even though there was nothing in the online agreement for me concurring to this. I've had to resort to changing my credit card rather than pursue legal recourse because it's an invasion of my serenity. If I could score a minus 5, I would. DON'T USE THEM!!!

Hi Ronda,

I would be more than happy to look into this for you. As of right now, I am unable to locate an account for you with the information I have available. Please send me a private response with your full name or email address on the account with us, I look forward to your reply.

Resolution response: July 18, 2018

Thank you so much Brittany! As I stated before "Peoplefinders never overcharged me for reports, but keeping my ex out of my life as much as possible is a priority for me". My ex is worse than the chick from Fatal Attraction, she's been stalking me\us for years, sighs. They removed my unlisted phone# as promised.

So thank you once again for your help Brittany:)

Original review: July 16, 2018

Peoplefinders has terrible customer support!!! I don't have an issue with the search portion of the site, it's just the fact they send me some stupid form email letter to opt out of my number & name being displayed in reverse phone# search field. It's always "we can't find that listing nonsense of theirs" sighs, well it's coming up every time when I do a search. So someone's not smelling their own BS, or very incompetent at the least. Neither is good IMO, SMH. :(

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience regarding your request to opt out from the website. If you would send me a private message with your information that you are showing on the website, I would be happy to take a look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: July 2, 2018

I ordered a 1 time background check for $1.95, 5 days later a charge for a monthly subscription shows up on my credit card. Okay, I failed to read the very small print on page 5, I accepted that charge as a my fault. I go to the "my account" page and cancel, but I get a notice that I can still use the site for the month of my paid subscription. So, I run a background check on a neighbor and WHAM, almost immediately, I get a notification that PeopleFinders charged my credit card $11.95. I call PeopleFinders and was told I only bought the basic search of name (I already knew the name), the address (again, this was known to me) and phone number (again, already knew that), and 3 email addresses (didn't care about those). So that is why I paid $11.95, plus the $19.95 for the basic worthless information. I did get the report, but it basically cost me $32.00.

These little facts seem to be very well hidden on the page. They did provide what they promised. But be careful when you order anything from them. That 1 check for $1.95 will lock you into a subscription with no refunds, and it will be the basic that is really of no value. I mean in order to request the report you need a name, address, but they charge you to give you that. Just be careful and keep in mind if you do order, READ EVERY LINE or you will be paying for worthless information because you already know it.

Hello Terry,

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. If you could please send me a private message wit your full name and email address, I will get this matter handled. I look forward to hearing from you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 21, 2018

Ordered two reports from them. The first one was just relatives, so the second one I paid for a background check on a relative and got just her birthday, age, and one address for her, which was something I already knew. When I called the man at customer care, he refused to give me a refund... This is definitely a RIP-OFF company. Don't waste your time or money!!!

Hi Alicia,

I would be more than happy to assist you with this matter. I am unable to locate an account for you to be able to assist you further. If you could please send me a private message with your email address and full name so that I can take a look into this for you that would be great.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: June 20, 2018

The information on this website vs. the information on other websites I ended up using for only $1 was inaccurate. In addition the charges were more than advertised and their advertising/pricing is totally deceptive.

Hello Joseph,

We sincerely apologize that you had this experience with our company. If you would, please send me a private response with your account information with us, I would be more than happy to get this rectified for you. I look forward to hearing from you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 23, 2018

$10.45 for literally nothing. All I wanted was a wedding date that I knew existed, it's just that the particular state doesn't post online. These yahoos didn't have it and a ton of other information that should have been there if this was a reputable service. I eventually found Ancestry.com and got what I wanted. Lots more information and $9.95 rather than 29.95/month! I am sure there are others and I am not affiliated with any of them. Just felt PeopleFinders.com is a total ripoff. Nothing that isn't freely available on the internet.

Hi Donald,

Our website offers the most current public record information available. However, there is some information that specific counties will not give out online to record databases. This may have been the case for the records you were looking for with us. We do offer different report options and memberships on our website, so the pricing depends on what you are wanting. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Peoplefinders.com

Original review: May 22, 2018

I paid $3.95 for a search on the 18th of may. Later that day, may 18th, I went to their website and cancelled. They now charged me $29.+ for a monthly fee. You cannot stop them from taking your money even after you cancelled. They are a major scam!!! Run, don't walk away from this site!

Hi Tony,

I sincerely apologize that this was your experience with our company. Based on your information that is available, I am unable to locate your account with us so that I may rectify this for you. If you could please send me a private response with your full name and email address that you used with us, I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 21, 2018

I think a background check on the thieves at PeopleFinders is in order. They take credit card then you can't log in, Scam?! Find another site if you want information, the only info you get here is "Login" then nothing happens!

Hi David,

We are unable to locate an account for you to be able to further assist you. If you would, please send me a private response with your full name and email address. If you are not able to log in to access what you have paid for, we would definitely like to rectify this for you. Once I have your information, I will be able to further assist you.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: May 14, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would. I paid for a public report & I received no info but names & former addresses! Website states births, marriages, divorces, etc are to be included! Absolute waste of money! When I requested refund it was denied! Buyer beware! They take your $ & you get nothing in return! I only wish I would have read customer reviews before I paid!

Hello,

Our site does give you the results on the searches the customer is referring to. However, we offer different price points for different products. Basic reports will give you name, phone number and address. Our comprehensive reports will give you further information such as marriages, divorces, criminal history, property information, etc. You would be asked to upgrade the report if you are only paying for basic information and are requesting more. Thank you.

PeopleFinders

Original review: May 10, 2018

Wanted a $1.95 one time report to locate a phone number for an old friend. We got the report, but we were also charged $12.48 for a membership. When I called to inquire about this charge, I was told it could not be removed. The report had several numbers listed, and when I clicked on a phone number, I was told that automatically ran another report. Nowhere on this site did it tell me this could happen. What a scam!

Hello,

We are unable to locate an account for the customer based on the information provided. It sounds as if the customer selected a post transaction offer for 50% off the regular priced membership. If the customer could email me directly, I have sent a private message with my email; I would be more than happy to look into this and get it rectified. Thank you.

Best regards,
    PeopleFinders Customer Care
    customercare@Peoplefinders.com

Original review: April 30, 2018

PeopleFinders Review. I selected a .95 one time fee to display the owner of a phone. PeopleFinders provided a fake name that I validated through state and county databases and refused to provide a full report. I immediately realized I was scammed, and cancelled. They charged me $2.95 to cancel. I emailed them and KC responded stating I agreed to the charge when I opted for a 'free trial membership'. I did not opt for the membership and have screenshots showing such. The $2.95 cancellation fee only applied to membership selections. They refused to refund. I found they also hide a "LIMITED GUARANTEE" on their site basically stating they can provide you inaccurate information and you still have to pay. I've filed complaints for false and deceptive advertising practices with the FTC, CFPB and BBB. I hope it was worth the $3, PeopleFinders, AKA Confi-Check!

Hello,

We do show that we have already assisted the customer in this matter on 5/1/2018. We have explained what she signed up with, which was a trial membership for $2.95 along with her original report for $0.95. We have credited back the account fully, we apologize for any confusion on the website. We have also advised that, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee accuracy of data, which is why it can sometimes be incorrect. Again, we apologize for the confusion.

PeopleFinders.com

Original review: March 28, 2018

I only got a name that current address was not even up to date and I have billed and billed numerous times $.99, $1.99 over and over monthly. Now I get billed 2499. Something's got to be done. This is ridiculous. You are ripping people off for nothing.

Hello,

We did not find an account using the information you supplied. Please call us at the number listed below so we can help you with your account.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

Monday-Friday 7:00AM-6:00PM (PST)

Saturday-Sunday 7:00AM-3:30PM (PST)

Original review: March 23, 2018

I paid $0.95 for a free trial. They didn't even get the right name for the guy who had the number for 10 years. They gave me nothing of what they said they were going to give me and charge me almost $4 for 30 seconds non-useful information. I don't know who's letting him get away with this stuff but they are stealing from people.

Hello Jennie,

PeopleFinders.com obtains information from a variety of public records sources, but we do not create or modify these records in any way. If a phone number was not listed in your report or is showing something other than expected, it is because the owner has not reported the number to a public records source. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. PeopleFinders provides addresses, email and other information to help you contact most any person in the United States.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Terrible! Misleading. Used to find address for old friend. Charge was indicated as $4.95. They hit my debit card for $44.95. Shame on me for trusting anything on the internet. BOA contacts me for fraud alert. They believe I'm not that stupid. I cancelled with people finders. Before the bank shut them off they went in again and hit my account. Called into PeopleFinders, they go out of their way to anger you into hanging up and moving on... do not use!!!

Hello Scott,

Please contact us so we can go over your billing and explain what you were billed for an why.

Please call our Customer Care Team during the hours listed below at (800) 718-8997. Thank you for contacting PeopleFinders.com.

Monday-Friday 7:00AM-6:00PM (PST)

Saturday-Sunday 7:00AM-3:30PM (PST)

Best regards,
    PeopleFinders Customer Care
    CustomerCare@Peoplefinders.com

PeopleFinders.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PeopleFinders is a Data-as-a-Service company that has access to public records on nearly every adult living in the United States. They also offer reverse phone lookup services and criminal record search. Based in Sacramento, California, the company has been in operation since 1988.

• Free preview: Clients who are interested in using the service can test it out before they pay. The company offers a Free 4-Step Preview, which lets people enter the name of the person they're looking for and then view the list of results to see if their person appears. Clients must then pay to access customer contact information. A one-time report is available for a small fee.

• Social media searches: PeopleFinders includes a nearly instant social media search, which can return all public and free results from social media sites, including blogs, online bios and videos.

• Flat rate pricing: PeopleFinders is available for a flat-rate fee of $9.95 per month for basic services. Premium service is available for $29.95 per month and includes unlimited access to current and past contact information, background check reports, birth/death records, marriage/divorce records, criminal records and more.

• Automatic renewal services: PeopleFinders offers customers the option of having their plan automatically renewed, so they don't have to remember to make payments each month.

• Reverse phone lookup: Anyone can perform a reverse phone search to find out who has been calling them. Find out the phone type and phone carrier for free, or pay a small fee for a full report.

• Best for: parents, individuals and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs