2. Background Check Companies
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

US Search is an online tool that provides background checks and person searches. It pulls information from public records, including criminal records, social media profiles, property records and more. You can search by name, address or phone number. The site offers free basic searches, but you'll have to pay for a membership to get more in-depth information.

BOTTOM LINE

US Search provides basic free person searches and paid premium reports with information gleaned from billions of public records. Members get access to unlimited background reports and extended data searches.

PROS

• Free basic search
  • Hassle-free cancellation
  • Sources updated daily
  • Trial membership available

CONS

• Extra fees for premium report

How does US Search work?

US Search offers some free services and paid premium services. The company uses a proprietary search engine to comb through billions of public records, websites and other sources. You can search by a person’s name to find their current and past addresses, phone number, household members and home value; search by phone to find name, address, utility verification and more. You can also find names associated with specific addresses.

When you enter a name, US Search generates a free report that includes basic information like relatives, age and location history. The paid subscription includes extended data searches for further details, including social media accounts, sex offender data, criminal records, images, friends, financial assets, court records and contact information. You can choose from instant search reports, advanced person searches or background checks.

US Search provides additional information for extra fees. When you sign up, your report is available for instant online viewing with the option to download and print.

US Search costs

A paid US Search subscription includes unlimited person and phone searches for $19.95 per month or $49.85 per quarter. Additional services require other fees; for instance, access to national criminal records costs $19.95, marriage and divorce records cost $2.95 and email address information costs $2.95. A trial membership is $1.99.

US Search FAQ

Can you remove your information from US Search?
US Search uses public records and info to conduct person searches — a person cannot opt out of inclusion in these databases.
Does US Search provide criminal background information?
Yes, US Search accesses arrest records, though these records don’t necessarily confirm a conviction.
How does US Search get its information?
US Search accesses public records like court records and weapons permits. The company has developed a proprietary search engine to query billions of records and websites. Its criminal background information comes from state and local databases nationwide.
Is US Search a safe site?
US Search is confidential. The site provides a private and safe 256-bit encrypted connection.

Is US Search legit?

While US Search is not a substitute for a background check when hiring or screening potential tenants, the service is legit and provides free basic background info. For those who want further details, a paid subscription includes reports that show date of birth, address history, arrest records, phone numbers, court records, government license info and social media profiles. The company’s proprietary search engine accesses public records from state and local databases and cross-references multiple data sources to ensure accuracy.

US Search Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Search?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Search?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

When running a search, I find it confusing as to which searches are free and those that will required an additional payment. Frankly, I found the old system with Omni-search. I would like to see an improved Reverse Phone Number feature.

Hi Donald,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We’re sorry that you were not satisfied with our services. We’re committed to providing our users a great customer experience and we’d like to make this right for you. A member of our team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

US Search Support

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I chose USSearch because of what I can only assume was a purchased phony website review of their company. It rated higher than BeenVerified and since I used that for four months with satisfactory results, I thought I would try the higher rated company. What a mistake. I canceled within an hour after not even a Facebook page came back and the person I was researching has a public profile. He has an extensive criminal background as does his wife and all that USSearch could kick back was an address which I've had for two years. Do not waste your money with this company. I've opened a dispute with my credit card company for a refund. I wish I had checked ConsumerAffairs before wasting my time and energy. This company's service isn't worth a quarter let alone $29.95.

Hi Kay,

We're disappointed to hear about your past experience with US Search. It looks like your account has already been refunded, but we will reach out privately to resolve this situation.

Best,

US Search Customer Support

Original review: April 12, 2019

I purchased a one time $4.95 search for a number that I suspected for a scam. US Search said they would refund the $4.95 if they could not find the results which they did. I checked my account and noticed they charged a $22.02 membership fee as well. I never signed up for the membership and they refused to refund the fee. I only signed for the one time search. This is a scam as I requested to be contacted back by a supervisor and they refused. They have basically stolen the money and refuse to reach out via phone. Do not ever trust this site, as it is a phony search con scam web page.

Hi Sabrina,

We're saddened to hear about your experience with US Search. According to our records, we refunded this transaction on 4/21/2020. If there is anything else we can do to resolve your issue, please let us know.

Sincerely,

US Search Customer Support

Resolution response: Oct. 2, 2018

After around 24 hours US Search responded to my request said they are processing my refund.
    That still doesn't change the poor site design and incomplete and inaccurate report I paid $39.95 for!
    However my real gripe now is with consumeraffairs.com

I want to delete this comment they make it difficult.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I wanted to get a background check on myself and I decided to give USSearch a try. While I was trying to complete the order there were confusing popups and offers that I had to click away. Just when I thought I was finally ready to complete the order, they placed a LARGE button directly above to the complete order button (which was tiny by comparison). Somehow the big button got clicked on. Now it seems impossible to get a hold of customer service to get things resolved.

(This big button added extra an subscription service of $19.95 a month to my one time order of $39.95).

Moreover the background information they provided me with was not very comprehensive and contained errors. My honest opinion is that they DELIBERATELY make the order page confusing and hard to navigate for customers so that they get extra charges, and then just don't respond in hope that the charges stick! I HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere for a background report.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This company makes its money on STEALING personal information and providing it to the general public. This type of business should be illegal in the US and should be sued for an amount from which the company (and individuals working there) would never recover from!! The only way this company agrees to remove people's stolen personal information is if they agree to send the company a copy of your DRIVER'S LICENSE!! Further invasion of privacy!! Disgusting, disgraceful that such an enterprise can call itself a "business". Incredible that they have not been sued to kingdom come! I guess that's on the horizon.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I had used USSEARCH once in the past and I was unhappy... they had NOTHING on the person I asked about. I called and they credited my credit card back and at my request my account there was deleted. Sat I wanted to try again... I knew the nightmare stories about recurring monthly charges. I was extra careful not to click on anything that would cause that issue. I placed the order and I got the material and a bill for $39.95. Immediately I started getting concerned about those recurring charges. I called them today. I have to confess they were professional and assured me that $39.95 was a ONE TIME fee and there would not be any recurring charges... BINGO! Case closed. Be careful what you click on and do not fall for OMNISEARCH because I'm sure they are a monthly service.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

The search I received was for the wrong person. They couldn't find the right person even though they are in the white pages. The customer service rep was clueless. Terrible company and a huge waste of money. I did better in 10 minutes on my cell phone.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I had to complete a background check for an IC position. I was responsible for the $25. The beginning of my social is similar to my birthday. I guess when I typed the # I immediately continued with Bday rather than SS #. As soon as I got the info (within seconds) I emailed them for help. They replied with a copy and paste, "Hi Teresa, You will need to reach out to the hiring party for further instructions." I replied again, asking for further info. Again they sent, "Hi Teresa, You will need to reach out to the hiring party for further instructions."

I asked for further clarification rather than a copy and paste, since *I* am paying for the check if they could credit my card so that I could redo the check. I realize this was my fault. I totally get that. But come on, good customer service would see what I'd done and allow me to fix it. However, they are right. I will be letting the IC company know of their business practices. Perhaps they can find a more reliable, customer friendly company to contract with.

Original review: June 25, 2017

As a private investigator, I gave this service at try… To say that I'm not impressed is an understatement. The results of my search did not include known arrests for the subject I was trying to locate and it didn't include current address either. I send their customer service a request for a refund with proof of the information I located. They would not refund but offered a credit for a free (less than useful) search. I will not take the credit. I asked that they close my account (their website doesn't seem to let users do it themselves - or it's well hidden), and that they permanently delete all my information from their records.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I went to this site to find out some information I needed right away. I went through the sign-up process, then a pop-up appeared saying my registration could not be completed, and I should call the office during business hours. I went to another site, and got what I needed. I never thought I was signed up with this site, per their own message, yet they have been charging me for the past 3 months, and I just now noticed. This is very deceptive, in my opinion. I won't ever be using them, no matter how long they charge me. There is no order number, because I didn't order anything!

US Search Company Information