3.77/5
  • 1 star
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a background check company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 2, 2017

23 PeopleSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I like and would tell a friend that it is very user friendly and easy to use. Someone who had little experience with the internet could even figure this website out and it was a quick process too. For people who have a very common name such as "Smith" or "Williams", I wish it was easier to find exactly who you are looking for. I did have some trouble locating specific individuals with this issue. But I am able to search for the majority of people quickly and easily. The cost is not too much either.

Original review: July 31, 2017

It was very easy to use and figure out. It was extremely helpful and it did exactly what I needed it to do all in all. I hope it doesn't change. It was a very good experience and so far it's my favorite website.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 30, 2017

The site is easy to navigate and the results come up in a reasonable amount of time. It gives a variety of ways for you to narrow your search and it seems to be in most cases fairly accurate. Every time I have looked for a person on the site I was able to find them. However, I do not like that I feel tricked by the site. For instance, I am just searching for a phone number and go through a series of questions and BAM! Just like that I am there and don't want to be because I am only looking for a phone number. Otherwise, I like the service it provides and the option of paying less and getting limited searches rather than paying for a full membership price.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I really liked how it doesn't cost much, and it gives you the honest truth on the person's past. A friend used another website and was not as please with the results that she got. I wish it was free, but I'll gladly pay, when I need this kind of information on an individual. Very happy with what I paid for and definitely worth your bang for your buck. Well done!!

Original review: July 28, 2017

The website is very user friendly. I like how easy it is to navigate their website and to actually be able to put precise input in the proper fields. Also, there is absolutely NO CHARGES made unbeknownst to the person using the site. The prices fair and you get a special discount for signing up as a first time user. I love how the creators work very hard to confirm AND protect identity. To say the least, this website is one of the best hands down that I've used.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleSmart?

Original review: July 26, 2017

PeopleSmart was fairly easy to use and direct. I liked the general concept and it was easy to follow the directions. I also liked that it didn't involve too much reading. Sometimes these sites get very wordy and I skim over important pieces. I was able to complete the background check fine. Did what it needed to do and I completed the prompts easily, but it was slow to load when I was on it. I am not sure if this was a personal internet issue though. All in all, I would recommend PeopleSmart to a friend in need of a similar service.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I like everything about it. It was one of the best experiences I have ever gotten. It was so easy to get the information and they were able to find out things that other sites can't. I would love to use it again.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Some are priced too high but this one was within an affordable rate, if it wasn't free. Also, easy, was accurate and it was clear and easy to read with very little discrepancy. It was cool and a Good experience and I found out what I was looking for in detail and I was referred to other avenues for other answered. It did what I needed it to do.

Original review: July 23, 2017

My experience with PeopleSmart was a little hard, because you had to keep going from one screen to another. Putting in information about yourself. Answering many questions and everything else. So it really needs some work to get the information. You really need to cut out some steps. A lot of it is just a waste of time. But I like the way the website is set up. As far as the name address and phone number. I like the way it gives information about their jobs, the information about the jail or arrests, the marriage information and all of there family members. I like if they are dead or alive. Also, like the past history of all their relatives.

I would try to get them to put more information about behaviors and child hood things though. I would try to get more about the education and where the person was born. If the family struggled with finances. They say many behaviors come from poverty. They say alcoholic parents and drugs lead to abuse. So that causes 9 children out of ten to repeat what the parents do. So I would put more information about the background, where they grew up, stable job and so on.

Original review: July 22, 2017

The first visit to the website offers plenty of information about PeopleSmart and the ease of registration and use, excellent customer service, competitive pricing, availability of information given when an individual is searched. A free trial would attract new customers though, or even one free background check before paying for the service. Also, a lot of these services are not comprehensive or are right-out scams, so potential customers may feel more comfort with a chance to try before they buy. But after sign-up, finding the information needed was simple and straightforward. The service has a multitude of information on the individual you are searching.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I liked that I was able to use PeopleSmart for my background check because it was much simpler than all of the other background check websites. It was pretty much self explanatory to use. It was very simple to get what I needed and very easy to perform the background check. I was very pleased with the website. I liked most of the options and/or actions that were available to me. PeopleSmart was a good experience for me.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I like this website because I can check the background of people, so I can see if they're capable to do the job. It's very good. I would like it if it were to have better graphics, more information, more pictures, ideas. But I would tell a friend about PeopleSmart so she can do background checks, and she can be sure to have trust in that person.

Original review: July 17, 2017

A situation occurred that was made me uncomfortable, I used PeopleSmart and got information indicating the person involved had a background inconsistent with what I had been told and supported my inclination to be cautious. I never thought I would be in a situation where I would want or need to do a background check and had no idea how to go about it. Once I found the website and followed the instructions, it was relatively easy to get the information I needed. I would tell a friend about PoepleSmart... This is an interesting thing to do. In my case, it provided information I needed to avoid what could have been an uncomfortable or even dangerous situation. But it could also be used to see how people view yourself or to check out people for many reasons.

Original review: July 16, 2017

There are criminal background, address, general required information for employment, reliability, to ensure that the person being hired is a quality individual, responsible, an adult who has credibility. Fairly easy, sometimes it seems to take more time that most have to give in during average work day; use it in the midst of helping with work, employees, etc. But it would be better if shorter information was requested as seems most background checks require an extensive amount of information to perform the check. Needs to be able to provide the information requested quickly without taking too much time.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I like the in depth report. Get a lot of info and the report comes back fairly quickly. The site is a great resource for me. The quickness of the response makes things a lot easier for me to get things done. Very smart resource tool. The best part about PeopleSmart is that the reports are very inexpensive so the price is worth continuing to use this service. I am very picky but love this service. I am a big fan.

Original review: July 14, 2017

It was Easy to find the information I was looking for on the person. I was able to find out what I needed very easily without having to look very hard or very long. The information was clear, easy to understand, concise and was not confusing at all. But the cost was more than I wanted to pay and was more expensive than on other sites I looked at. I would have preferred to pay nothing to obtain the information if possible.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I liked the site. Gives you a lot of information and takes very little time. You can locate people and their background. Gives you any sites they might be on or have pictures on, anything they may have an account online with, such as Facebook, dating sites and other things associated with the internet. It's easy to use and is very helpful to see a person's criminal background. But I would change the cost though. There are several different companies out there so it mainly comes down to price.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

They ask you to go for a 7 day trial. Shame on me for not paying attention. This bill goes up to $29.95 per month unless you cancel. I have never used the service and have somehow, because of the way they bill, overlooked the bill for over two years. They have received over $1,000 for a service I have never used. They offered to refund $120 of what I have paid and I told them no. I am going after these bait and switch shysters legally and will protest with American Express. Run, run, run from this service. You would think they would have said something to me after noticing I have never used the service. When I complained, the operator, Crystal, said that she was going to make an exception and refund not 60 days, but, in my case, 120 days or four months of the $29.95 or about $120. It is very apparent they have these types of complaints daily. This is a very misleading and fraudulent website. Don't even look at the service or you may end up like me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

The website promises a large list of type of background checks including criminal convictions what you get are traffic violations, driver school to reduce points. Where criminal convictions are listed for each address they are blocked out saying they're not digitized but other background companies get them and supply the information. So to add insult to injury they try to sell you additional services. Customer Service simply says they could not get info and wants to useless points to do another background check that will be also skimpy. However they did the right thing and refunded my $39.00.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

This website to find people, addresses, etc is a SCAM. The report says it MAY include addresses, phone number, email, etc. I paid for the subscription. Was only provided a phone number that was out of service. The vague address pointed to a courthouse location and no other information was provided. When I contacted customer service, they basically don't care and gave me 50 credits to do another search. They said they do not provide any of that information to protect individual privacy. Why advertise that it will be included in a report if you never intend to provide it in the first place.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

Paid $39.95 for a comprehensive report to include criminal history information, and the report is so lacking as to not be of much value. Dates and case numbers are given for the offenses but no state or court given and no disposition. Just not worth much to me.

Original review: June 28, 2012

I looked at a few different background check companies online and chose PeopleSmart, partially because they have a 60-day money back warranty as stated in their terms of service. I was careful to not sign up for any "free trials" when completing the form for the background check, especially since the option was already selected. What I received was an extremely incomplete, outdated background check. After a week, I was also charged for a free trial that I did not sign up for.

I contacted customer support and member services about both the background check and the charge on my account for the additional services. They refunded the charge for the service, which I appreciate, especially since I intentionally did not take advantage of the free trial and did not use the service. They did not refund the cost of the background check in accordance with the 60-day warranty, stating that the refund is only applicable if they did not find any information on the person. If you read further in their terms of service, which they sent me a link to **, it has a disclaimer, basically saying if it stinks, they don't care and there's nothing I can do about it. (The services and information are provided "as-is" and "as available" and neither we nor any of our data suppliers represents or warrants that the information is current, complete or accurate. We hereby disclaim all representations and warranties regarding the performance of the website or our services, and the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information, including (without limitation) all warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).

I explained to the representative that the background check was extremely incomplete, outdated and had a lot of incorrect information also, such as contact information from states he's never even been to. He said it must be incomplete because the person did not have any property or public information. I told him I already had much more information than they did on the check and know that his bills, automobile title and driver's license all have the same address listed, which was not on the report. He said it didn't matter and that the 60-day warranty is only applicable if they could not find anything on the person at all. I'm extremely unhappy with PeopleSmart and would like to dissuade others from falling for their scam of a service.

Original review: April 28, 2011

It's a people search website and they advertise searches for a fee and a membership fee. What you get they shouldn't even charge a fee for. I tried them out. After a couple of searches ,I realized this isn't doing what they advertised so I wanted to cancel. So I emailed them a cancellation and they said after seven days. Eight days later, there was no word and I emailed and they responded saying no refunds.

PeopleSmart expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PeopleSmart is an online search engine of public records, and it specializes in reuniting lost friends and family members. They also offer reverse phone lookup and access to public records.

• FCRA-compliant background checks via GoodHire: PeopleSmart offers background check services specifically for employers via GoodHire.com. The checks are FCRA-compliant.

• Additional services: In addition to background checks and employer screenings, PeopleSmart also partners with IdentitySmart to offer an identity management tool helping people protect their identities and manage their online reputation.

• Focus on privacy: PeopleSmart offers a section of its website dedicated to educating customers about privacy so they can more easily understand how to use the information they find.

• Search services: PeopleSmart allows customers to look up other people via various modes of communication, including name, city, phone number, email, address and more.

• PeopleSmart PRO: Professionals can join PeopleSmart PRO for a flat rate of $99.99 per month to gain access to digitized public court records, 250 searches using a phone number, 250 searches using an email address, 500 emails sent to recipients on your behalf and more. Note that PeopleSmart PRO cannot be used for certain employment and tenant screening purposes as covered by the FCRA.

• Best for: HR representatives at large companies, small business owners (via GoodHire.com), landlords and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs