PeopleSmart

Compare Background Check Companies

Research top Background Check Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The website promises a large list of type of background checks including criminal convictions what you get are traffic violations, driver school to reduce points. Where criminal convictions are listed for each address they are blocked out saying they're not digitized but other background companies get them and supply the information. So to add insult to injury they try to sell you additional services. Customer Service simply says they could not get info and wants to useless points to do another background check that will be also skimpy. However they did the right thing and refunded my $39.00.

This website to find people, addresses, etc is a SCAM. The report says it MAY include addresses, phone number, email, etc. I paid for the subscription. Was only provided a phone number that was out of service. The vague address pointed to a courthouse location and no other information was provided. When I contacted customer service, they basically don't care and gave me 50 credits to do another search. They said they do not provide any of that information to protect individual privacy. Why advertise that it will be included in a report if you never intend to provide it in the first place.

Paid $39.95 for a comprehensive report to include criminal history information, and the report is so lacking as to not be of much value. Dates and case numbers are given for the offenses but no state or court given and no disposition. Just not worth much to me.

I looked at a few different background check companies online and chose PeopleSmart, partially because they have a 60-day money back warranty as stated in their terms of service. I was careful to not sign up for any "free trials" when completing the form for the background check, especially since the option was already selected. What I received was an extremely incomplete, outdated background check. After a week, I was also charged for a free trial that I did not sign up for.

I contacted customer support and member services about both the background check and the charge on my account for the additional services. They refunded the charge for the service, which I appreciate, especially since I intentionally did not take advantage of the free trial and did not use the service. They did not refund the cost of the background check in accordance with the 60-day warranty, stating that the refund is only applicable if they did not find any information on the person. If you read further in their terms of service, which they sent me a link to **, it has a disclaimer, basically saying if it stinks, they don't care and there's nothing I can do about it. (The services and information are provided "as-is" and "as available" and neither we nor any of our data suppliers represents or warrants that the information is current, complete or accurate. We hereby disclaim all representations and warranties regarding the performance of the website or our services, and the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information, including (without limitation) all warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).

I explained to the representative that the background check was extremely incomplete, outdated and had a lot of incorrect information also, such as contact information from states he's never even been to. He said it must be incomplete because the person did not have any property or public information. I told him I already had much more information than they did on the check and know that his bills, automobile title and driver's license all have the same address listed, which was not on the report. He said it didn't matter and that the 60-day warranty is only applicable if they could not find anything on the person at all. I'm extremely unhappy with PeopleSmart and would like to dissuade others from falling for their scam of a service.

It's a people search website and they advertise searches for a fee and a membership fee. What you get they shouldn't even charge a fee for. I tried them out. After a couple of searches ,I realized this isn't doing what they advertised so I wanted to cancel. So I emailed them a cancellation and they said after seven days. Eight days later, there was no word and I emailed and they responded saying no refunds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PeopleSmart?

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

PeopleSmart is an online search engine of public records, and it specializes in reuniting lost friends and family members.

• FCRA-compliant background checks via GoodHire: PeopleSmart offers background check services specifically for employers via GoodHire.com. The checks are FCRA-compliant.
  • Additional services: In addition to background checks and employer screenings, PeopleSmart also partners with IdentitySmart to offer an identity management tool helping people protect their identities and manage their online reputation.
  • Focus on privacy: PeopleSmart offers a section of its website dedicated to educating customers about privacy so they can more easily understand how to use the information they find.
  • Search services: PeopleSmart allows customers to look up other people via various modes of communication, including name, city, phone number, e-mail, address, and more.
  • Best for HR representatives at large companies, small business owners (via GoodHire.com),, landlords and people utilizing online dating sites.

Compare Background Check Companies