Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars38%
  • 3 stars8%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars3%

Our USA-based member care team is available 24/7 to assist you with any questions or concerns.

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest people search engines in the world. Our online service gives consumers the power to access millions of federal, state, and local public records right from their computers. Members can get unrestricted access to its database and perform unlimited searches to learn more about the people in their lives. The data included in our reports may include criminal history, sex offender registration, known addresses, and more. This information can help you investigate the background of online dates, neighbors, social media connections, or anyone else you’re curious about. Members who wish to dig even deeper can upgrade to a premium report to access information that isn’t available in our standard reports.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Hi Sonia,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find your lost friends and family members! Thank you for the positive feedback, and we're glad you love our service. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

It helped me find a ton of my lost friends and family members I would have never found on my own! LOVE IT.

Hi Patricia,

We’re so happy to hear that our service is helping you locate long lost family members and friends! Thank you for taking the time to share your story and provide us with such positive feedback. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 11, 2016

I have performed 5 searches, 3 to find long lost family members, and 2 to find friends. All were found quickly and accurately, 1 with very little information to go on. This is a fantastic search engine! I don't know how you do it and I worked in information technology for over 10 years. I am so grateful for all the joy your product has added to our lives. Without your product, I can't begin to think how empty the end of my life would have been. I have a rare but wasting illness and you have allowed me to meet with people I never would have found without you. Thank you so much!

Hi Saundra,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find your long lost friends! Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 29, 2016

I was able to easily locate friends I had not seen for 40 years! The site is really great!

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your honest feedback about our popup messages — we are always looking for ways to improve our user experience. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Very good in most, many lookups. Do not like the drop down messages. Please stop them, it is annoying.

Hi Jon,

I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with our site. Our management team is currently looking into this issue. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Instant Checkmate is a public records search engine that apparently sold the unique email address I gave them to spammers who have continued to send unwanted emails nearly a year after they were first told to stop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate ?

Hi Kathryn,

We're so glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I've paid for and used this service for years and now I can't seem to get in. Horrible. I may have to cancel.

Hi Shelley,

We’re sorry to hear you were unable to obtain information on certain people. Our data providers are always updating their information, but some state and local governments do not release their records to the public, or they may not update their databases annually, which can create gaps in our data. A manager from our member care team will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Very Unhappy with searches. I was unable to locate any information on some, only partial on others and on another there was someone else's arrests.

Hi Sarah,

We’re very sorry you are no longer a member of Instant Checkmate, but happy to know you got things straightened out with our member care team. If you have additional questions, our member care center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I used this service to check my criminal record but was discouraged as soon as I saw that the site didn't even get my birth date right! After all of those loading screens, making me think I was going to see tons of information, I was disappointed to see very little accurate information. Cancelled my account after about 5 minutes. Wish I could get my $22 back. :(

Hi Derek,

We’re sorry that you weren’t happy with our service, but glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Did not list my one speeding ticket from 1985, in Wisconsin. Did not list my cleaning business, in Bowling Green, KY, from 1997-1998. Listed a wrong state that I lived in -- Holland, MI. Did not list the house and property I own in Warren County, Kentucky. Did not list my three social media accounts, former and present: Facebook, MySpace, Google+. Did not list my second daughter. No past employment records were provided for me, Derek **. Did not list my university education, or my current SS disability. I feel like I was scammed. Plus every time a new piece of information was offered, a very high, ridiculous price was presented. I will never use this again. I will warn all of my relatives, friends, and former co-workers to not waste their money on instantcheckmate.com. I am very disappointed.

Hi Todd,

We’re so happy to hear that you find your Instant Checkmate subscription well worth it. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

The report on the person I was researching was very helpful. It contained much pertinent contact information. I was able to search by phone number and also by name. The name search produced much more data. It was good to know an even more thorough background check was available by paying a small fee if I needed it, but I only wanted the basic search provided to members. Once again my subscription to Instant Checkmate is well worth it.

Hi Denine,

We're sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with our service. We know how frustrating it is when you don’t get the information you were expecting. We are constantly working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but due to some states’ laws regarding public records, and slow electronic processing times in certain counties, there may be gaps in our data for some jurisdictions. We sincerely apologize, and will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 30, 2016

I am dissatisfied due to the following reasons: The lack of more search filters to make it easier to obtain precise information, the total lack of updated information.

I only found one small and insignificant bit of information I wasn't already aware of. The pricing at the initial sign up surely didn't reflect that to get any decent information. You would be charge additional amount for any little bit of information. I wanted cell phone numbers and wasn't able to obtain them. This site is nothing but a money grabber.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the high rating and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We really appreciate your feedback and will pass this feature request along to our development team. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 27, 2016

The next time your software team works on the site, would you please give some merit to adding DELETE? The ARCHIVE feature is somewhat useful; however, I'm sure that a new customer like myself will look their own name up, their spouse, someone they really know, just to see how accurate the results are, etc. It would be great to DELETE that resulting record rather than using ARCHIVE before moving and/or after searching other people.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback of your experience with Instant Checkmate. We're so happy to hear that you are able to find the information you need and that our member care team was able to resolve your issue right away. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team is standing by 24/7 to help. We can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 26, 2016

This service surprised me because I was skeptical about receiving real value for my money. I do not find everything I'm looking for, but I'm still learning how to use the search inquiry to find what I really need. This isn't a copycat service of competing providers either as I use competing providers of this same service as well in my searches. They all have their "secret sauce" search engine that yield different results and I like the ability to dig further when necessary.

I had one issue with the company, but it was immediately resolved with a supervisor and I'm pleased with the results as it makes my sometimes monotonous job easier to manage. I could easily recommend this service to anyone. By the way, I have renewed my 3-month purchase again. I especially like the following features: Possible relatives, social media links (hit and miss here), addresses have a date when last seen (allows me to cross reference another address from a competing service) and ability to search further when needed.

Hi James,

Original review: July 26, 2016

Any service that promises detailed information to lure you into slapping down your credit card then adds a disclaimer after they don't provide that information is a scam. Many people are looking for arrest and legal records in order to apply for pistol permits. This site initially promises that information only to recant it at the last steps saying info may not be accurate. There is no way to find out if there is legal information in the report without putting down your credit card and paying $28 + another $2 to download a pdf. There was literally NO legal information included in the report instead it states local, state and government law offices do not provide that information. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY and be sure if you do to cancel the recurring monthly charges. I considered disputing the credit card charges since it is really a scam not a legitimate service.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 25, 2016

They first explained why info might not be as up to date as I expected. Then they were more than willing to give me a full refund which I found was more than fair. So, yes, I feel the issue was resolved.

Hi Julie,

Original review: July 23, 2016

I looked up a couple of people and there was no "in depth" information revealed. In fact, much of what I already knew wasn't even listed. I feel this was not worth the cost and I feel ripped off.

Hi Cleveland,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your recent experience with our site. We're really sorry to hear that you are no longer as satisfied with our service. We sincerely apologize and will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: July 23, 2016

I've used instant Checkmate before and really liked it but now it seems every thing cost extra and there's not much more info.

Hi Iris,

Original review: July 23, 2016

Very dissatisfied with the information presented because I was able to find all the information on my own prior to Instant Checkmate's service. I thought that I was going to receive much more detailed and accurate information through the Premium access but I was sadly disappointed and will not be recommending this service.

Hi Shauntel,

Member Service

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 22, 2016

The information provided is old information. Nothing is up to date.

Hi Fred,

We get our information from local county courthouses and census bureaus. This information is then uploaded to the database that we pull from. There is a possibility that some information may not show on a given individual because some state and local laws restrict us from accessing certain records which may not be considered “public” in that jurisdiction. In addition, users do have the option to upgrade to a premium report if they choose to do so, however a premium upgrade is not required to view basic information such as names, aliases, phone numbers, location history, possible related persons, arrest records, sex offenders, licenses, social media accounts, and horoscopes. If you have additional questions, our member care center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 21, 2016

On your page you said there is no other charge for reports like other sites. Only the monthly membership fee. But you want extra funds to view reports just like other sites. False statements on your web page.

Hi Ruben,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 20, 2016

I was able to find information about me that I never knew would ever be online!!! I was so into it I started researching my family to see if they were at risk as well. Turns out EVERYONE had info online. Thanks to InstantCheckmate.com we are all now in the process of taking all our info off the net!

Hi Melinda,

Original review: July 19, 2016

Inaccurate info. I basically paid for info that is easily found via the internet!

Hi James,

Original review: July 19, 2016

I was lead to believe you would give information, instead there were hidden charges to receive nothing more than I already knew. Things that should be listed were not. Very disappointed. Glad I didn't order the three month service. Would like my money back so I can go somewhere else to get real information. If you'd like to upgrade me to the premium member at no additional cost and it proves to have legitimate information I will happy to pay for it at that time.

Hi John,

Thank you for reaching out to us — we appreciate the honest feedback. Our loyal members are very important to us, and we will contact you privately to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: July 19, 2016

You changed your categories and length of membership terms without informing your existing loyal members, also raising the price substantially.

Hi L C,

We're sorry to hear you were unable to find what you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 18, 2016

The process is too long. I did not find what I was looking for. It is a complete waste of money. Unfortunately I am dissatisfied. I desire a refund.

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear you find Instant Checkmate to be a useful tool. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 17, 2016

Information is accurate in most cases. Provides additional information that may be helpful. The opportunity to give feedback on any possible discrepancies is a bonus. It was overall a useful tool, that require much more time and effort to locate the information provided, if you did the research on your own.

Hi Lorraine,

Sorry to hear you were unhappy with our premium reports. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: July 17, 2016

Not only in premium reports but in all reports, there seems to be no real distinguishing areas about accounts and all the same people & info gets the same mentioning in other reports. It becomes difficult to separate what belongs to who.

Hi John,

Thank you for the high rating and for taking the time to share your positive experience with Instant Checkmate! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 16, 2016

I did a check on a young lady I had met online. It was great knowing so much about her BEFORE I got involved. I'd highly recommend this to every Man and Woman. We didn't work out but at least I knew a lot about her before we met. She wasn't so smart as I advised her to do the same with me, look me up, I have nothing to hide. But she was actually going to have sex with me, and me spend the night without knowing anything but phone calls and texts, which were great, but it was crazy on her part.

Hi Katrina,

Thank you for reaching out. A senior member of our team will be in touch privately to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: July 16, 2016

When I signed up, I ordered three Premium Reports and PDF privileges, but apparently my credit card turned down the extra charges. I called the credit card company and confirmed the charges, then tried again. Again, it didn't work. I logged onto your website and was able to add the PDF privileges at the price quoted, but now the Premium Reports appear to be $14.99 each -- three times the price what you offered (and which I tried to accept) on sign up. I called your customer service and Rodney said, "Luck of the draw." In other words, I'm screwed. I am not trying to get anything I didn't pay for, but it would nice to actually get what I ordered from you rather than paying three times the price because my credit card company (probably based on previous experience) thinks you might be fraudulent.

Hi Alicia,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! We’re so happy to hear that our service has come in handy for you. We appreciate the feedback, and we are constantly working with our data providers to get our customers the most up-to-date information possible. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 16, 2016

I have been able to find a lot of useful information here. Most of it is up to date. I would like them to have their records a little more up to date, but it is not an easy feat so I understand. Other than that, this service has really come in handy.

Hello,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 15, 2016

I expected much more for my money. There was a lot of missing information as well as incorrect information. I looked up people who I know very well to see how accurate the reports were and was shocked to find how inaccurate they turned out to be. If the info on the people I know is so inaccurate, how am I supposed to trust the info on the reports I get on people I don't know? I couldn't even find myself on here and I have loads of public record info available on me. PS. The upgrade report costing more on top of my monthly fee is double insulting.

Instant Checkmate Company Profile