3.23/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3457 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Dear Checkmate, Thank you for the recent phone conversation I had with one of your reps; Mary Ann. I used your service in May and I just got a notification in my email that $34.78 had been charged to my Pay Pal account. Mary Ann explained that the original agreement was to call within 30 days to cancel my May registration. I had not remembered to do that. So, she canceled my checkmate account and made a refund to Paypal. I am not use to seeing this type of service. No hassle, no accusing remarks, insults, time delay. Wow! You are a great organisation in my mind. Regardless that I am canceling my membership. We need more honest, reputable companies like you to actually put the customer first in the world. I give you 5 stars plus. With deep gratitude, John.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Thank you! It has been easier since you helped me as a senior with Parkinson's Disease. The man I talked to on the phone was very kind to me. He answered all my questions. Three cheer for him! I would recommend this search site. Checkmate is not ordinary. They research very carefully to give you the right information. Other sites don't do their research. In one site the information for one seeking to find me. Was not only incorrect information but had me working as a nurse instead of SAG performer. The girl that they showed to others never, ever looked like me. How they got some kind of information and a picture is a puzzle to me.

Hi Pam,

That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Overall I have had a good experience with Instant Checkmate. It has often helped me to locate people from my distant past whom I never thought I would be able to find again. Unfortunately I occasionally find that there is very little information on some people I look up.

Hi Angela,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

For the most part I am satisfied with the information provided by Instant Checkmate but I wish it would go further before having to pay for premium information and even when you pay the premium add on it just doesn't go far enough. I'm sure there are probably some legal reasons but it would be nice to have more for less!

Hi Julie,

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Love this tool! I do a lot of genealogy research using Ancestry.com and use Instant Checkmate as my research tool to fill the gaps in ancestries. Would highly recommend it to anyone researching genealogies. I have used this tool for over 3 years and it has got me over some big hurdles in family history.

Hi Thomas,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Instant Checkmate Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Truly grateful to Instant Checkmate as I was able to find someone who needed information to help someone out of a difficult situation. It all worked out thanks to your service. And, there is a happy ending to this difficult situation that could not have happened without my ability to search and find them. Thank You!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

If you have questions and are curious about someone. Checkmate can answer them. Police records, education, where they have lived and are living now. Employment and social or professional organizations. We can no longer say we live in an isolated world. You just have to know where to look and whom to ask.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I only checked 2 people and I was satisfied with what I found. It is simple even for a computer illiterate like me. Just don't be surprised at what you might find in someone's background and if you check yourself you might find something you had forgotten.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

My go to source if I am wondering what has happened to someone. This service finds it quickly without having to sort through hundreds of names!! Would recommend it first. You won't be disappointed. Try it and see!! Yeah!! Yeah!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

My experience was good. I got the information I needed and the price was very reasonable. You could make downloading the reports a little easier. I wasn’t sure when the report was ready how to access it.

Instant Checkmate expert review by Ben Mannes

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Instant Checkmate Company Information