Call toll free
(855) 286-1988
3.68/5
Based on 146 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3305 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

I could not access the program. Amir helped me find out why I was having difficulty. He was able to guide me through what was needed to get into the program. Amir was EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable. Amir was very positive and very polite. I REALLY appreciate his patience since I am a senior citizen and have difficulty understanding technology. Thank you Amir.

Hi Helen,

We're very happy that our member care team was able to assist you! Thank you for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. Our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 8, 2018

I have been using this service for years and I think it is better than anything else out there. I have memory problems and when people contact me saying they know me, I can check. This saves me considerable embarrassment AND keeps me secure from online predators.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're glad to hear that our service helps you find the information you are looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I'm happy with the application. No doubt about it and it has been very helpful. It would be nice to perhaps have an "Advanced Search" capability. As suspected, you will populate a number of results and it can be limited because you don't entirely know the age or location of the person. One would then have to go through each based on a rough idea of the parameters, "This person would probably be mid 30s is my guess and I think they may have lived in GA before but so have several others, etc., hmmm". If there was a way to have an Advanced Search to where you could put keywords about the person you are seeking that could narrow it down even further.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We do have an advanced search feature. After your initial search, you can refine your results by clicking "advanced search" near the top of the search results page. This will allow you to enter in a middle initial and approximate age. If you need further assistance with this, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I spoke with Kris today employee # **. He was so helpful finding all my options and very patient with my questions! I'm very happy with the conversation and experience over the years and will recommend Instant Checkmate to other people when they need these type of services.

Hi Carrie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on our customer service. We're so happy to hear we were able to provide assistance and answer your questions. We appreciate the positive review and high rating!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Finding current contact info for folks I've not seen in 40 yrs - 95% of folks searched for I was able to discover at least one working number/email/address for. Considering I have had almost no luck through white pages or Google prior to this system, I am damned thrilled with it! Your timeline section is an enormous help for determining if I have the correct person. It is odd how many folks have no information re spouses/previous spouses--especially when I was at their wedding. In most cases, the only mention of a marriage is on property purchases under whom buyer/seller is.

Hi Thos,

Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear we are able to help you locate the contact information you are searching for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 27, 2018

I signed up for Instant Checkmate as I was mislead thinking this was a one time fee for a search. It turned out to be a monthly billing, and I never received a report that I searched for. I have not accessed this again as I thought it was a one time charge per their misleading ad. Billed multiple times, no information was ever provided for the one search and I have not even accessed the account since and this vendor will not refund any of the money they have billed for over a year.

Hi Mark,

We apologize for any confusion you may have had with our billing terms. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 26, 2018

I found everything I was looking for and more! This is a great site!!! You will get information that you were not expecting! You will be able to find information about the neighborhood you live in or are going to live in. It will let you know people that are relatives that you may not know about.

Hi Christine,

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your positive feedback. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 19, 2018

I have tried several times, using multiple email addresses, to have my information removed by using Instant Checkmate's "Expedited Opt Out" service. They are refusing to send the confirmation email necessary to complete the opt out service required by law in my state. A business cannot advertise a service it does not actually provide. This is North Carolina Law, and they are breaking it.

I have checked all inboxes for over two weeks, spam folders, etc... and still no confirmation. I have also made screenshots of those requests as proof that I actually used their opt out service. I have not given consent at any time, through any agency affiliated with Instant Checkmate, to publicly display my information, and by doing so and disallowing me to opt out, they are in violation of current privacy statutes in North Carolina as well as many other states. This is a horribly inaccurate site.

Hi John,

We apologize that you had a difficult time opting out your report. A senior member of our team will be in touch privately to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've not had any issues on this site. I have had instances where I could find more info on criminal just from Google than here, and on the occasion that I've ordered more, I've found it mostly similar to the original with little additional info. Those time have not been worth the extra money.

Hi Greg,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We apologize that you were unable to find all the information you were expecting in your premium report upgrades. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 5, 2018

This site is very concise and accurate making that search to find lost friends, family, etc very easy. The report provides sufficient previous information that helps determine you have likely found the right person and where they can be reach currently. I have found many of my high school classmates using this service.

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're so happy to hear our service has helped you locate lost friends, family, and high school classmates. We appreciate the high rating!

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 3, 2018

Ran personal report on myself. Report has only my birthdate and address correct. It contains my son's work and educational history and not mine. The report has my middle name as LEWIS when it is actually **. After calling Instant Checkmate I was told that there was nothing they would do to correct the report. I consider the report, as no doubt others would as well, to be a total waste of both time and money.

Hi Robert,

We know how frustrating it is when you don’t get the information you were expecting. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 30, 2018

Very vague in the information. I feel like I went to a bad psychic who walked away with my money. Does not have dates of marriage or divorces. Doesn't state if person was in the military. Many inaccurate information. Did not have complete and accurate information of related family members. Was not helpful at all. I did a better job finding information on my own.

Hi Julie,

We're sorry to hear you were unhappy with the information found in our reports. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 29, 2018

As an Australian I engaged the services of Instant Checkmate to search for a cousin I believed to be in the United States. Whilst I only used the service once, I was unaware due to my own personal oversight, that I had actually agreed to a monthly subscription with Instant Checkmate. It wasn't until some years down the track that I realized that monthly deductions had been taken from my bank account for a service I only used once.

I contacted Instant Checkmate about the problem and we both arrived at a consensual arrangement which saw Instant Checkmate refund a full years subscription. Whilst this wasn't the full amount of the fees I had paid to Instant Checkmate, I believe it was a fair result as it was an oversight on my part that caused to me to sign up to a permanent subscription.

I want to commend Instant Checkmate on their prompt and efficient handling of the matter. As an Australian dealing with a US company I felt like I had little choice but to accept a full loss. The fact that Instant Checkmate could see that I had genuinely made a mistake and offered a partial refund of the fees paid, showed to me that they are a company that views its clients as more than just a number. Many thanks to Instant Checkmate on their Professional consideration of my contractual misunderstanding and I wish their company all the best with their future endeavours.

Hi Lyall,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We're happy to hear our member care team was able to assist you and provide a fair and satisfactory resolution. Thank you again for your positive feedback.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Tamera was very good and patient. She took a lot of time to help me when there were many problems. I recommend her highly. There was trouble with my account in that it automatically or without my desire cancelled my account. She straightened it all out.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review. We're so happy to hear our member care team was able to assist you. We appreciate the feedback!

Original review: May 27, 2018

I find this website very effective, and I feel it is the best quality search service. I am very satisfied, and I will recommend this website to all my educational friends. All my background information that is known, and retrievable is at my fingertips to explore.

Hi Donovan,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We sincerely appreciate your feedback, and we're happy to hear you are able to find all of the information you are looking for.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 26, 2018

In the beginning it "appears" to be somehow "free" information. Then after 10 minutes of waiting for the slide bars to finish, you are "hit" with a ridiculous charge. You can go to a state judiciary site and get information faster and free!!!

Hi Jer,

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. Instant Checkmate compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. We pay for all of the information we provide. Our billing details are prominently displayed before a customer decides to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at anytime in our Terms of Use. Thank you for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or concerns. Our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 24, 2018

Everything that I wanted to find out was there. Nothing surprising either. Then to my surprise was info on others that have lived or visited me. Read them and found out things I didn't know, but is ok was long time ago. Thank you very much for these reports.

Hi John,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so glad you enjoyed our reports. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was very frustrated when I couldn't get into my account, noticed the number to call, called, busy, grateful for a callback option. It took about 15 minutes and I received the call. The representative was very helpful, kind, well spoken and accurate. Within 2 mins problem fixed. Thank you!

Hi Laurie,

We're so happy to hear that our member care team was able to assist you. Thank you for your positive feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. Our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 10, 2018

I really enjoy having this service because I take care of mentally ill and elderly people, but it can get pricey when I pay for the service every month and pay for every premium finding that I need. When owning a facility we need to do thorough background searches on clients, helpers, family members, etc... Couldn't there be a price that is set for everything instead of nickel and dime pricing ($20.00 extra dollars is pricey for us working facilities). Please let me know. I enjoy your service but at these prices it's difficult to keep. I have recommended this service to others. Thank you.

Hi Paralee,

We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helps you find what you are looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 8, 2018

This information is so out of date it is unbelievable. This was very expensive and the information for current address was 14 years out of date. I ran this on my husband of twelve years and I wasn't even listed as one of the people he knew. Don't waste your time or money! It's not real and don't even pay for the added fees because you don't get anything from that either.

Hi Chris,

We know how frustrating it is when you don’t get the information you were expecting. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 16, 2018

My experience with Instant Checkmate has always been great. They have helped me out a lot and when I do not need to use the site for months at a time it is easy to cancel membership if needed. Other than that, overall, great help and great information is provided.

Hi Paige,

We appreciate the positive feedback and high rating! Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 13, 2018

Signed up on 4/3/2018. Did a search but I had found better information previously and some of theirs was wrong. Canceled within an hour. Got cancellation number. On 4/8/2018 two charges appeared on my Visa. Checked their site a few minutes ago - shows cancelled. Filed complaint with BBB. As of this morning no refund showing. Will probably have to do a Visa Chargeback.

Hi Geraldine,

We apologize for your frustrating experience with Instant Checkmate. We will reach out to you privately to get this issue resolved.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 12, 2018

I do enjoy the site and get a lot of information. I just wish I could see a bit more detail without having to pay more money. I already pay a monthly fee. Other than that I do not have any real issues with this site.

Hi Edric,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your honest feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoy the site and are able to find the information you are looking for.

No response received
Original review: April 3, 2018

I ran a check on myself and was both shocked and amused by what I found. Fully a quarter of the info. is wrong. You had me living in Oregon and West Virginia. Never have. The funny thing is that you have me living at three different addresses simultaneously. Many of the relatives and acquaintances you have me down for are total mysteries to me. The only thing I can think of is that some of these people lived at addresses I once lived at, in some cases over thirty years ago. Or perhaps they are using a recycled phone number of mine.

More seriously you say that I have a criminal conviction, but the truth is I don't even have a parking ticket to my name. Upon closer inspection I see that you have me confused with someone with a similar name -- different middle name, different age, different addresses. Perhaps you should think about cross checking SSNs? The truth is, now that I've seen what misinformation you are peddling I would be reluctant to use it for any serious purposes. If you can get my information so badly wrong, after I've lived a quiet life at the same address for the past 20 years, you could easily screw up other peoples' data even worse.

Hi Robert,

We're really sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the information found in your background report. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 2, 2018

My initial thoughts about the site were good... I looked everywhere to see if this was going to be another one of those sites that charge you a monthly fee then start tacking on additional fees for other features. From what I could see, they seemed legitimate and gave no indication that there would be additional fees to see additional content so I signed up and right off the bat it's $34.78 and once you're inside the site... It's an exact replica of TruthFinders, MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT then sure enough the additional fees started coming. $2.99 if you want the ability to save the report you just spent $34.78 on, an extra $23.40 for phone number search, extra $7.99 a month for email reports.

It's a scam folks... They lead you to believe that their services are all inclusive of their services and I looked everywhere and couldn't find any information that said there would be additional charges for the items I listed above which was the only reason I agreed to sign on. What is it with these companies and their shady business practices. I want a complete refund, this is not what I signed on for.

Hi Wes,

We apologize for any confusion regarding our services. When customers pay the membership fee, we provide the service that we say we will, which is compiling public records data into an easy to read format. We guarantee that we will search every database available to us, but we cannot guarantee which records will or will not show up in the final report since we are not in control of the records themselves.

Any additional charges, for features such as our reverse phone lookup service or pdf service, are completely optional and are just extra services that customers can choose to sign up for or not.

If you have any additional questions or concerns in the future, our US-based member care team is standing by 24/7 to provide assistance. We can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My wife has been doing everything she could to make it hard for me to find out who her lover was. With the help of your website I was able to do all the research it took to put everything together. I must thank you for having so much information on here and it all came together. Now she can lie cheat and steal from someone else.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on your recent experience with our service. We're glad that you were able to find the information you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Data page too difficult to manage on my machine. Too sensitive to placement... data was good. I find your service useful, but the previous system for communication and feedback was more stable and faster and easier to understand. Thanks for the good accuracy of everything you provide and your research.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're happy to hear you are happy with our service, and we apologize for any difficulties you may have with some of the updates to our site. We are constantly making improvements to our site, so we value your feedback. If you need help using our site, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-800-222-8985. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 28, 2018

Used this service to self-check and compare with background check from work. This service lists multiple people with same name from multiple states with multiple addresses, crime and arrest information. When I saw my report and saw I lived in states I've never been to, arrested for crimes I have NEVER committed as well as being on a states sex registry. Called the people and of course, morons at a call center saying there is nothing that can be done. This is a dangerous site. The misinformation could lead to wrongful terminations, police inquiries and a multitude of negative life altering treatment from job opportunities to the communities you live in. Stay away and use government approved background software. This is **. Dangerous, incompetent **.

Hi Scott,

All users and customers of our service must agree to our disclaimer prior to using our website that "you may not use our service to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require FCRA compliance." This is stated on every page of our site.

Additionally, we offer anyone the option of removing their information from our site for free if they are dissatisfied with the information provided. If this is something you would like to do, please visit www.instantcheckmate.com/opt-out/ or you can reach our member care team at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: March 25, 2018

I use this site often to locate old friends and coworkers. I have been successful in almost every search in finding the right person. It is reasonably priced per month and the reports are comprehensive. I recommend this site to anyone for locating persons.

Hi John,

Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! We're so happy to hear you are able to locate old friends and coworkers using our service. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: March 23, 2018

You have me listed as living in Michigan City IN and Portage IN. That information is totally inaccurate. I only live in Michigan City. I have never lived in Portage a day in my life. I have been through Portage a few times but I never actually lived there. I see a fingerprint posted by name right side of court records. What you're say is that I have a criminal history. I most certainly did not. I am a Christian man and a law abiding citizen. I have never been arrested or convicted in a court of law a day in my life. Nor do I intend to either. You need to start retracting that information from your records effective immediately.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reaching out. We apologize for any inaccurate information you came across in your report. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs