Call toll free
(855) 286-1988
3.94/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3323 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I was on the phone with a very professional and patient, Diane, who got me back online and answered all my questions. She helped me with my credit card payment. They help me with signing in (log-on) password. I am a happy user! Well done!

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

You're doing great -- this is very helpful. One thing I'm sad about: people who have died aren't listed on your site as "dead" with the date of death as much as they used to be. Could you correct that? Sometimes this is the only way to find out if a seldom-talked-to friend is still with us. Thanks!

Hi Marcia,

Thank you for the positive review! We're glad to hear you find our service helpful. We appreciate your feedback, and while we provide the date of death when we are able, we may receive slightly different information based on the data provider being used. We are continuously working with our data providers to get our customers the best information possible. Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

The number to this business called my personal cell phone. I have never heard of this business and have never been called before. The person (a male) said "aw, hi grandma". I told him this wasn't grandma and then he proceeded to use every expletive on me possible. What? Is this normal for a company? Because it seems right up the alley of the scammers that call me regularly. I called the number back and the computer said to be ready with the email address you use for their business. I don't use their service so I'd love to know why I am being called and attacked on the phone by one of your representatives.

Hello,

We're sorry to hear this. However, we only make outbound calls to customers who request a callback, and our calls are recorded for quality assurance purposes. We are more than willing to further investigate this situation — we will reach out to you privately.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Have used many background services in the past but this is the best. Easy to manage your account, great search engine for finding people, and comprehensive reports that can be easily downloaded. I will never use another service. Highly recommended!

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We're so happy to hear you are able to find what you're looking for and that our service is easy to use. We appreciate the feedback!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

You can find more info yourself on Google. Don’t waste your money. All they gave me was the name and birthdate of the person, which happens to be a convicted criminal, drug dealer, has a DUI, and bankruptcies. Yet none of that information was provided by your site. Why take peoples’ money without providing the service? If no information on a person is given, then don’t charge for giving them nothing! Waste of time! Now I have to try and cancel my recurring subscription.

Hi Sean,

We know how frustrating it is when you don’t get the information you were expecting. We are constantly working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but due to some states’ laws regarding public records, and slow electronic processing times in certain counties, there may be gaps in our data for some jurisdictions. We sincerely apologize, and will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I use Checkmate on a regular basis. Compared to Google, US Search, and a couple of other places I have tried, I would give Checkmate a score of 11 out of 10. Easy to use, extremely fast, and very accurate. We had been looking for a lost relative for five YEARS using other methods. Checkmate found her in five MINUTES. Thank you Checkmate!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I do a lot of mail-outs and often the county information is hopelessly out of date. Instant Checkmate is easy to use and has fairly accurate data and saves a lot of time going to other databases for information. Once, I hired a retired detective to find a person, spent a lot of money and time on fuel and effort without finding the person I was looking for.

Hi Diana,

We’re so happy to hear that our service is helping you find what you are looking for. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

It is easy and I found things about me I had forgotten. It is a great service. I recommend it. It was easy to get, easy to navigate, detailed and accurate. I am so glad I have it. I feel informed and more secure. Also, very affordable.

Hi Mae-Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for the positive review! We're so happy to hear you were able to find the information you were looking for and that you find our site easy to use. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach our US-based member care team at 1-800-222-8985. Thanks again for your feedback!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Though they were forced to provide the option of opting out, Instant Checkmate is hoping it isn't reported for making the online opt out option worthless. It simply doesn't work. Even if you have a Gmail account it won't send the link to confirm opt out. So far five coworkers of mine have tried, looked in their spam folders and nothing... Not a single link sent. I guess they need further pressure from the government.

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for your feedback. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

So far after only an hour or so, I was able to locate my niece and nephews. I had lost track of them when my brother passed away. I probably know their addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. I think my sister-in-law is still living and with one of my nephews. They are college grads and established in careers. I'm still disseminating. I'm sure I'll learn more.

Hi Maryann,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We're so happy to hear you were able to use our service to locate your niece and nephews! We appreciate your feedback. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Overall I am satisfied with Checkmate, I was able to find most relatives and was satisfied with my friend search also. Some people just do not want to be found, however, I am still satisfied with how fast and easy is to locate important people in my life. Recommend to a friend.

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're so glad to hear our service is able to help you find your relatives and friends. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I used Checkmate for one name and was very disappointed. Information was very general and public. A rip off. Plus they keep billing you month after month even if you check the box. Beware of this Company.

Hi Sandra,

We understand how frustrating it is when you can’t find the information you were looking for. We work really hard to make our reports as thorough as possible, but some states and counties do not release their records to the public which sometimes impacts the quality of our data. We apologize and will reach out to you privately to resolve this issue.

Respectfully,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Most thorough background checks I have ever experienced. Have done over 100 background checks so far and am very pleased with the reports and the reported results. Has helped me with my own family and doing ancestry history research. Will definitely use Instant Checkmate often.

Hi Lewis,

We're so happy to hear you find our reports thorough and that our service is helping you with your family and ancestry history research. Thank you for the positive review and high rating!

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have used other sites, but yours is hands down the best on the web. I discovered info about a pedophile predator who was around my grandchild daily. Now my grandchild is safely away from the threat. Thank you so much. I shudder to think what could of happened. That makes your site a wonderful tool in keeping pedophiles and criminals away.

Hi Betty,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We're so happy to hear you are able to use our service to help keep you and your family safer. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 26, 2018

I searched myself and it shows without even buying the report that I "may have a criminal record" (that's borderline slander, I do not). And that I have a mass amount of assets... If I do, I'd like access to them please.

I searched myself and it shows without even buying the report that I "may have a criminal record" (that's borderline slander, I do not). And that I have a mass amount of assets... if I do, Id like access to them please.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Instant Checkmate compiles reports from millions of public records, including information provided by state and local governments. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as "public record." While we strive to provide accurate information, sometimes individuals with common names may see information in their reports that is attributable to another individual with the same name. If you are unhappy with the information displaying in your report, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of our website. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: July 24, 2018

The young lady I spoke with was very helpful, courteous, and efficient. Not to mention friendly. She made my experience delightful. She is a definite asset to your company. I appreciated her help and demeanor. I believe she went above and beyond in helping me with my problem. Thank You.

Hi Curt,

We're so glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. Thank you for your positive feedback!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have recently had the Pleasure to deal with 3 different Ladies in your Cust. Service Dept. 'Kathy' -- then 'Jessica' - and today 7/23/18 with 'Sandy'. All 3 Ladies were simply wonderful to deal with - POLITE - KNOWLEDGEABLE - COURTEOUS and FRIENDLY - Just EXCEPTIONAL. A PLEASURE... They are are an Asset to your Co. and certainly to us Customers. 'CONGRATULATION'! And THANK YOU!

Hi Renata,

Thank you for the positive review! We're so glad to hear our member care team was able to assist you each time you've called in. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need anything else.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 18, 2018

I tried to log into my premium Checkmate account last night. Without success. I was on hold after calling for 1/2hr, then told I would receive callback. NOT. I tried again this morning and got basically the same results as before. I called and spoke to rep. I was told that all the past information on persons I searched and had them store for my immediate or future use WAS GONE. Information on the information hwy or stored on a computer does not just vanish. It was hacked my suspicions. I have the feeling their computers were hacked and the many dozens of searches I did are in other's hand other than mine or the main system of Instant Checkmate. P.S. My acct was the premium and had data beyond just the basic searches.

Hi Jim,

We sincerely apologize for your frustrating experience. Our site was experiencing some technical issues that temporarily caused the report history to be removed. We were able to get the issue resolved, and your report history should be back. If you have additional questions, our US-based member care center can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 11, 2018

I could not access the program. Amir helped me find out why I was having difficulty. He was able to guide me through what was needed to get into the program. Amir was EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable. Amir was very positive and very polite. I REALLY appreciate his patience since I am a senior citizen and have difficulty understanding technology. Thank you Amir.

Hi Helen,

We're very happy that our member care team was able to assist you! Thank you for your feedback, and please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or comments. Our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I have been using this service for years and I think it is better than anything else out there. I have memory problems and when people contact me saying they know me, I can check. This saves me considerable embarrassment AND keeps me secure from online predators.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're glad to hear that our service helps you find the information you are looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I'm happy with the application. No doubt about it and it has been very helpful. It would be nice to perhaps have an "Advanced Search" capability. As suspected, you will populate a number of results and it can be limited because you don't entirely know the age or location of the person. One would then have to go through each based on a rough idea of the parameters, "This person would probably be mid 30s is my guess and I think they may have lived in GA before but so have several others, etc., hmmm". If there was a way to have an Advanced Search to where you could put keywords about the person you are seeking that could narrow it down even further.

Hi Aaron,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We do have an advanced search feature. After your initial search, you can refine your results by clicking "advanced search" near the top of the search results page. This will allow you to enter in a middle initial and approximate age. If you need further assistance with this, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I spoke with Kris today employee # **. He was so helpful finding all my options and very patient with my questions! I'm very happy with the conversation and experience over the years and will recommend Instant Checkmate to other people when they need these type of services.

Hi Carrie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on our customer service. We're so happy to hear we were able to provide assistance and answer your questions. We appreciate the positive review and high rating!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Finding current contact info for folks I've not seen in 40 yrs - 95% of folks searched for I was able to discover at least one working number/email/address for. Considering I have had almost no luck through white pages or Google prior to this system, I am damned thrilled with it! Your timeline section is an enormous help for determining if I have the correct person. It is odd how many folks have no information re spouses/previous spouses--especially when I was at their wedding. In most cases, the only mention of a marriage is on property purchases under whom buyer/seller is.

Hi Thos,

Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear we are able to help you locate the contact information you are searching for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 27, 2018

I signed up for Instant Checkmate as I was mislead thinking this was a one time fee for a search. It turned out to be a monthly billing, and I never received a report that I searched for. I have not accessed this again as I thought it was a one time charge per their misleading ad. Billed multiple times, no information was ever provided for the one search and I have not even accessed the account since and this vendor will not refund any of the money they have billed for over a year.

Hi Mark,

We apologize for any confusion you may have had with our billing terms. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 26, 2018

I found everything I was looking for and more! This is a great site!!! You will get information that you were not expecting! You will be able to find information about the neighborhood you live in or are going to live in. It will let you know people that are relatives that you may not know about.

Hi Christine,

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your positive feedback. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, you can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

No response received
Original review: June 19, 2018

I have tried several times, using multiple email addresses, to have my information removed by using Instant Checkmate's "Expedited Opt Out" service. They are refusing to send the confirmation email necessary to complete the opt out service required by law in my state. A business cannot advertise a service it does not actually provide. This is North Carolina Law, and they are breaking it.

I have checked all inboxes for over two weeks, spam folders, etc... and still no confirmation. I have also made screenshots of those requests as proof that I actually used their opt out service. I have not given consent at any time, through any agency affiliated with Instant Checkmate, to publicly display my information, and by doing so and disallowing me to opt out, they are in violation of current privacy statutes in North Carolina as well as many other states. This is a horribly inaccurate site.

Hi John,

We apologize that you had a difficult time opting out your report. A senior member of our team will be in touch privately to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've not had any issues on this site. I have had instances where I could find more info on criminal just from Google than here, and on the occasion that I've ordered more, I've found it mostly similar to the original with little additional info. Those time have not been worth the extra money.

Hi Greg,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We apologize that you were unable to find all the information you were expecting in your premium report upgrades. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 5, 2018

This site is very concise and accurate making that search to find lost friends, family, etc very easy. The report provides sufficient previous information that helps determine you have likely found the right person and where they can be reach currently. I have found many of my high school classmates using this service.

Hi Pamela,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're so happy to hear our service has helped you locate lost friends, family, and high school classmates. We appreciate the high rating!

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 3, 2018

Ran personal report on myself. Report has only my birthdate and address correct. It contains my son's work and educational history and not mine. The report has my middle name as LEWIS when it is actually **. After calling Instant Checkmate I was told that there was nothing they would do to correct the report. I consider the report, as no doubt others would as well, to be a total waste of both time and money.

Hi Robert,

We know how frustrating it is when you don’t get the information you were expecting. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 30, 2018

Very vague in the information. I feel like I went to a bad psychic who walked away with my money. Does not have dates of marriage or divorces. Doesn't state if person was in the military. Many inaccurate information. Did not have complete and accurate information of related family members. Was not helpful at all. I did a better job finding information on my own.

Hi Julie,

We're sorry to hear you were unhappy with the information found in our reports. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs