2. Background Check Companies

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.50/5

Instant Checkmate is a public records search service. All of the information is generated by searching public records from federal, state and county databases and compiling it into a report. You can look up addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles, driving records, arrest records, demographic data and a variety of other information.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
BOTTOM LINE

Instant Checkmate searches multiple databases to create an easy-to-read report. Subscriptions come with unlimited reports. All information is public record and cannot be used for employment screenings.

PROS
  • Unlimited reports with subscription
  • Detailed reports
  • Easy to use
  • Use 30 data points for reports
CONS
  • Not a traditional background check
  • Subscriptions automatically renew

Top Instant Checkmate Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Checkmate does what it advertises - reveals otherwise difficult to obtain information about individuals. We found it useful recently when a home inspector gave misleading information about a home we were selling - checkmate revealed numerous problems with the individual, including tax evasion and ot

I have never felt so unsafe in my life with scammers who claim to be one and they are not. Instant Checkmate helped me tremendously to remove those who are not legitimate and are only scammers. Thank you guys. I feel much safer this way with your verifications.

Instant Checkmate Get Pricing

ConsumerAffairs operates independent of Instant Checkmate and does not offer background check services. Per the Instant Checkmate terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. Instant Checkmate does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is Instant Checkmate?

Instant Checkmate lets you look up a person’s information by typing in their name, age and location in the search console. Instant Checkmate asks you questions about the person as it searches databases to narrow results down to the right match.

Once you have a match, you purchase a membership subscription to access the report. A subscription gives you access to unlimited reports for as long as you are enrolled.

You can look up the following information and more using Instant Checkmate:

• Phone numbers
  • Voter registration
  • Census data
  • Social media profiles
  • Bankruptcy history

Strict guidelines dictate how and why you can use a public records search service. Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency, and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prohibits using Instant Checkmate to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Before using Instant Checkmate, make sure you review the guidelines of what you can and can’t do with the information found on its site.

Instant Checkmate cost

Instant Checkmate offers two subscription plans. Both plans give you access to unlimited reports. The company bills one-month subscriptions every 30 days and three-month subscriptions every 90 days. Instant Checkmate offers a five-day free trial. The trial option shows up on the checkout page after several minutes.

PlanPrice per month
Five-day trialFree
One-month$34.78
Three-month$27.82 ($83.47 total)
Reverse phone lookup$4.99

Membership subscriptions automatically renew every 30 or 90 days unless you cancel before the start of the next payment period. If you sign up for the five-day trial and don’t cancel before it expires, you’re automatically charged $34.78, the one-month subscription rate, every 30 days until you cancel. You can cancel your membership through your online account or by phone.

Instant Checkmate FAQ

Is Instant Checkmate safe?
Yes, Instant Checkmate is safe. The company has a verified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate and uses 128-bit encryption. Instant Checkmate also runs malware checks with Norton Antivirus software daily.
Does Instant Checkmate notify the person you’re searching?
No, Instant Checkmate does not notify any search subjects.
Is Instant Checkmate legal?
Yes, it is legal to use Instant Checkmate, but it is illegal to use the service to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), including screening someone for employment, a lease or credit eligibility. Make sure you follow the search guidelines when using Instant Checkmate.
Is Instant Checkmate free to use?
No, Instant Checkmate is not free. You must sign up for a membership. Memberships start at $27.82 a month and give you access to unlimited reports.
Is Instant Checkmate worth the price?
Yes, if you need the company’s service, it is worth the price. Even though the information on Instant Checkmate comes from public records, you would have to search through each individual federal, state and county database to find the information. Instant Checkmate compiles it all into one easy-to-read report, and all subscriptions include unlimited reports.

Is Instant Checkmate legit?

Instant Checkmate saves you time searching through numerous government databases to find the information you need. Sometimes people aren’t who they say or keep things from you that they don’t want you to know. Using Instant Checkmate helps you verify someone’s identity before meeting them in person or going into business with them, which protects you in the long run. Instant Checkmate is not a substitute for a traditional background check, however.

Instant Checkmate Reviews

Original review: May 4, 2021

I called to question a charge (to a credit card I don't use anymore (but is still activated)) from Instant Checkmate (IC). I need to say upfront the the person I talked to (Lindsey (sp?)) was very courteous and helpful. That being said, although it was my responsibility to notice, I guess, I would've appreciated it if IC had a program in place to help with these "double accounts" (again, I take responsibility).

Additionally, I found that, for people who call to question billing items, IC could lower the rate paid for the "all services" account from almost $35/month to $16.95/month. I am recently retired and looking to lower my bills wherever I can; I would also have greatly appreciated it if IC had done this for me earlier (I use IC occasionally to try to locate old friends, but have considered many times canceling, due to the high (in my opinion) cost. I do appreciate the lower cost, I guess I'll keep my subscription for a while longer. Again, kudos to Lindsey - she was very professional and very nice.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2021

On 4-22-21 I was very fortunate to receive one if not the finest examples of assistance from a gifted professional customer service representative named Marisa. She combines her natural instincts with subject matter knowledge to quickly adjust her tempo of verbal exchange. Without patronizing me as a sick 73 year old customer exhibiting a need for slower, easy to understand and patient dialogue, she soon satisfied all of my questions. Additionally, she also educated me about, who, what, where and why explanations for my own further problem solving. Having that very important self confidence is extra work for so very kind of her to empower me.

Additionally, I also spoke with Marisa's supervisor named Genese and found another golden asset your company employs. My humble opinion as a seasoned educator of critical care Registered Nurses, Genese as a first line supervisor demonstrates she dedicates every working hour to personally mentor new agents to her own standard of excellence. I'm convinced that your wise promotion for Genese to a higher level of organizational improvement will offer Marisa her mentoring role. Respectfully, Charles F. ** and Mary Ann. PS; Please give these kind ladies our thanks and call for further.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I needed to find out the date of death of a person so I could request an informational death certificate from the County of Los Angeles for a property transaction where the title never got changed to the buyer. Checkmate had a special deal and it was very convenient and easy to use. I was suppose to cancel before the 30-day trial and totally forgot, but when I got the notice from PayPal I made a phone call and they not only canceled without a hassle, they refunded my money (I called the same day and hadn't used the service in the new month). The customer service rep was very helpful and understanding. I will definitely use this service next year when I start the search for classmates for my 50-year high school reunion!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Your customer service agent was most helpful and was able to get to the bottom of the problem. It was that I was being double charged for an account that wasn’t even using. So at the end of it and they will give me a refund for that account that I wasn’t using and to straighten out and move forward to secure a promotional rate for my monthly subscription so I’m very pleased. Thank you very much.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

It gives you all public record information that is 100% accurate. They really do a great job by having information that confirms that the subject is who you are interested in. It gives great detail until you’re wanting to go beyond the provided information which at that point requires additional funding but is even more useful because it expands on further into the subject to provide a great service!

Original review: May 10, 2021

I was looking for background information on 2 people. I put in the available information I had and Instant Checkmate came back with 40 pages of information on both people. They helped me locate family members I had not seen or heard from in over 35 years!!

Original review: May 10, 2021

Excellent service. I appreciate the care we received from Ruthy who helped on a refund for unintended service charges. She went above and beyond to help. We really appreciate the extra care including interaction with her supervisor to assist with our problems.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Background check in reference to my son's criminal history and when and where it happened so as to be fully aware of how he is doing since we no longer have contact with him. Due to unforeseeable circumstances we are not able to contact him or maintain a family relationship at this time.

Original review: May 4, 2021

The representative that helped me was very professional and understanding. I expected calling to cancel and get a refund would be much more difficult but she made the process stress free! I will definitely return to Instant Checkmate for any future needs.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Thank you to Jasmine, who was most helpful and patient with my concerns about my account. I wish my total experience with Instant Checkmate had been as positive as this final contract with your telephone representative. But, due to illness, I have been paying for this account unknowingly since its inception, but not using it, which is very distressing.

Instant Checkmate Company Information