2.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3385 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

This site is showing that I have an arrest record from 2007, which is not only completely untrue but nowhere on my background. I worked in education until 2013 and had FBI and DOJ fingerprint clearance. Also,I have seen my background report from my employer, and there is zero on my report. Responses from them to other reviews claims that they have 3rd party info but that is untrue as I have seen my background reports from all my employers and never has there been anything. I have a very uncommon name so a "mixup" is highly unlikely. This site is just trying to bait you into paying for information on people with no results. Sad that they have to benefit monetarily by posting complete lies publicly.

Instant Checkmate response
We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience on our site. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 5, 2019

I canceled my subscription 2/18 and unknown to me they continued to charge me at a higher rate 34.78 a month! I asked for my money back 12 mos, but they only agreed to 3. The person on the phone told me to watch for an email and keep checking my spam. I look every day and no email. I am going to take it further if my subscription is somehow not canceled...again.

Instant Checkmate response
Thank you for reaching out. We apologize that you had a frustrating experience with our site, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Should be sued for inaccurate and misleading report! Says I am related to people never heard of, phone number never had and addresses I never lived at. Put on hold for over 45 min and no one answered.

Instant Checkmate response
We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Imagine my surprise when I searched my phone number online and found Instant Checkmate selling not just my name and number, but my full address, the names and addresses of my family members, and previous cities where I'd lived. This is an identity thief's dream come true! I instantly took every possible step to have my personal information scrubbed from this website. Instant Checkmate claims that they allow anyone to opt-out of having their data sold (interesting, as I never remember opting in)... but when I made the request from their website, I was instructed to click a link in their confirmation email to finalize the process. Well, I made multiple attempts and never received an email. What a shocker! What they're doing isn't just sleazy and violating — if they're intentionally stalling/sabotaging the opt-out process, that is ILLEGAL.

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our site. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." We have opted out your information from Instant Checkmate. Please allow 72 hours for the system to update. Reach out to us if you have any questions.

Resolution response: March 1, 2019

After trying to call the number provided to cancel a subscription I did not want, and going online to cancel, a customer support person from Instant Checkmate verified my cancellation and refunded my money. Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I used the service for some information I needed and do not need the service anymore and the number to call to cancel is invalid so I went online to cancel subscription but from the reviews they don't honor this either... What is the deal? If they are a reputable company as they say why not give correct phone numbers on receipt and honor our requests to cancel subscriptions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Your company is providing others with my private address and information. I have used the "remove my info" link numerous times to no avail. I have not received a single email to my inbox or spam folder. I have called but no one answered as well as emailed without a response. I cannot believe your company puts people's safety at risk by providing private physical address and phone numbers. If my information is not removed and I don't get a response to this I will be filing a formal complaint as well as listing a complaint with the BBB.

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our site. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have been trying to call customer service for two days as I've been unable to log into my account. NO ONE answers their customer service line. Are you kidding me? This is how you lose subscribers. That's IF they can get you on the phone to cancel their membership.

Instant Checkmate response
Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that you had a frustrating experience with our Customer Care team, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

They have no email support and despite informing customers on their website FAQ and terms of use that you are able to cancel your subscription online you are not able to. You have to call to cancel and no one answers your call. It's a total scam.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have sent requests 12/2017, 11/2018 and 1/2019 to this company to cancel my subscription. I recently noticed it is still charging me and they responded in 12/17 and requested my email for my PayPal account to cancel it. I responded with the requested information, however the charges continued. At this point they've taken over $450 after being asked to cancel the subscription. Be very wary of using this service. I want my money back!

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Have been charged far more than what I agreed to. Agreed to a 3$ Trial. was charged over 30$. Have been left on hold “waiting for an agent” for hours. The site spent 15 minutes pretending to find records on me only to pop up nothing correct besides using my old Facebook photo. They even made up a middle name for me. I’ll be contacting Better Business Bureau and possibly taking further steps if this is not resolved.

Instant Checkmate response
We appreciate your feedback, and we apologize for any confusion you encountered regarding our membership plans and/or billing policies. In order to complete the enrollment process, each user is required to check a box to agree to Instant Checkmate’s billing terms. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Great Program for what it can do. Could use better info gathering but it is what it is. I would like to see it do better on the info it gathers since I have seen a lot in there that was not the person who it gathered on.

Instant Checkmate response
Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Refuses to remove my information. I have made multiple attempts to opt out and after a couple weeks of checking, my information appears again. I have followed all of the instructions. I was actually considering membership until this has come to light. Unreal.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Bad. They stole my money. They do not give good info. They my money and I cannot get any info. They do not answer the and do not answer email or text messages. They offer 5 days trial for $3.99. Took the money but gave me nothing. The company is a ripoff.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I cannot reach a customer service representative. No one answers the phone. I have called numerous times to have them help me. I can't reach anyone. The phone shuts off after so many taped sayings. There is silence. I would say that aren't even operating? I feel like this company is not in compliance with being in business.

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our services. A senior member of our team will be reaching out privately to make things right.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I was horrified to find under my own name a listing of old traffic citations from 2006 to 2008 with Instant Checkmate's libelous comment about "possible criminal records" making it look as if I am a criminal. I have repeatedly asked by phone and by email that this company to remove my listing, to no avail. This is vicious marketing at its worst. Clearly this is done to entice someone into paying them a fee to find out the "lurid details" when in fact there are none. Where is the consumer protection from libel?

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our services. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." We’re sorry to hear that you’ve experienced issues opting out. A senior member of our team will reach out privately to make things right.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was happy with the results Instant Checkmate provided, but after not needing the service again I tried to cancel my account and although the call goes through to customer service, it is NEVER answered. Even a good product loses its appeal if customer service is bad!

Instant Checkmate response
We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our customer service department and we appreciate your feedback to help us improve our services. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Do you understand cancel. You gave me a cancelation number, yet you kept billing me month after month. I have all sorts of purchases on my credit card, had to cancel that to end this nightmare! Yes you're a crooked company. Why else all the different names you bill customers with. Want something to report? Try the truth about your firm.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

This company has me living in Florida, Georgia, and getting in some legal trouble in Arizona. I've never lived in Florida nor Georgia, and the legal trouble in Arizona wasn't possibly as at the time of the incident, I was at work in Colorado. Then when I went to use the opt out feature, it conveniently doesn't send the opt out confirmation link. The process won't let you opt out even though it has lies posted about you. I'm so mad I'm going to go see my Senator and my Congressman when their offices open back up.

Instant Checkmate response

Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services. Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain. We’re sorry you’re having issues opting out and we will be reaching out privately to make things right.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have contacted my attorney and sent them a link to my search results on their platform which falsely claims I have criminal records, which I do not. I have found the same false claims in searches for other people I know. I demand that they immediately remove any and all information about me from their fraudulent site(s) and I will be seeking damages for the damaging and false search results attributed to me.

Instant Checkmate response

We hate to hear you're unhappy with our service. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." If you would like to have your background report removed from our site, you may request to have it opted out.

Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain. As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of TruthFinder. Once you have opted out, your background report will no longer appear on the TruthFinder site. Your background report will be removed from our databases and our website, but as we did not create these records, they will still be available, albeit from different sources. We will also reach out privately to make things right.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They are fake. They promote fake. Do not subscribe to this agency. This agency is only asking questions about an individual instead of giving you information about an individual. Never give information to an agency that questions you about information that you're looking for about individual let alone you subscribe and paid for the information. You will be given them more recommendation instead of you getting a recommendation from them.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I signed up for 1 report. (Okay bits of information - not really impressed) and they ended up charging my card for three months (before I caught it). Don't Sign up for this!!! Under my Subscription - it said I signed up for: "1 Report." Ended up billing for months!

Instant Checkmate response
We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing TruthFinder to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was trying to find my criminal background - when I searched it said it had all kinds of information. Then after I paid it said I did not have a criminal record. I have an extensive criminal background. I could have found more on Google. When I ask for a refund they said they could not do it because they did not guarantee the results or the information.

Hi Alex,

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I am the only person with my first name, and on your site you have me listed with my first and last name, age, birth month and year, and where I have lived. This is not the case of multiple people having the same name. However, you gave me a fake middle initial. I don't have a middle name. This is a scam. Don't tell me how sorry you are that I am having a problem; the problem is with you. Remove my information, please. This is the second time I have gone through the opt-out.

Hi Ivy,

We hate to hear you're unhappy with our site. Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have tried in vain to Opt Out of Instant Checkmate for the past week. My background check is filled with untruths and inconsistencies. According to Instant Checkmate the Opt Out procedure is as easy as falling off a bicycle; "We understand why someone might want their name removed from the Instant Checkmate database. That’s why we make opting out of Instant Checkmate easy. Simply search for your report and select the report you'd like to have removed. You will then receive a confirmation email which will require you to confirm the record you wish to remove. That's it!"

Over the past week I have TRIED no less than 14X to opt out. I do the dance and get this message; "Your email has been sent! If you don't see it, please be sure to check in your "bulk email" or "spam" folder." NO emails have been sent, but based on the hundreds of reviews I read regarding this firm that seems to be the norm. So I paid for a "Membership" and downloaded a background check on someone I KNOW. I got NO CONFIRMATION from Instant Checkmate. The background check I downloaded (after paying an additional charge for a background check I already paid for) is a JOKE. There is NO MENTION of the multiple DUI arrests I KNOW happened because I'm the one who bailed them out of jail. The ONE social media account listed in the "Report" is a dead link, and the "Report" made no mention of the ELEVEN other Facebook accounts I had already found by doing a simple search on FaKebook.

IF I want to know who the neighbors are it's a simple matter to go online to the Tax Assessor's website and type in the Street name. Likewise for the "sex offenders." ANYONE can search the National Sex Offender Registry database, and likewise for the State Sex Offender database. Checkmate CLAIMED there were 39 sex offenders in the neighborhood, but a COUNTYWIDE search revealed only 20. Upon further research I learned that Truth Finder and Instant Checkmate are the same people. The only difference is in the price you pay, otherwise the GUI, bar graphs, and psychological "come ons" are identical. I fault Instant Checkmate for deliberately misleading the public. The "intensive background checks" are 90% fluff, 10% content. Realistically there is NO meaningful "OPT OUT" procedure. In a nutshell, I have nothing good to say about this company.

Instant Checkmate response

Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services. Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain. We will reach out to you privately to resolve this matter asap.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Thought I was paying for one month. But I have been paying for over a year. I am very dissapointed in in that. I only get about $100 a month and taking almost $30 and sometimes taking it twice a month, is just so unfair. I have learned that it is better not to use a c.c number to buy anything on line.

Hi Valgerdur,

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Their Opt out is fake! I have Opt'd out twice, and my information somehow reappears within a few weeks. Their support sucks. They claimed they were going to purge all my info from Google, another lie! When I search my phone number on Google, it comes up with their website info, and my name. My next step will be legal action, to resolve this fraud!

Hi Todd,

Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services. We will reach out to you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Your information is accurate and has been extremely helpful. The information you have provided helped me learn that my ex is dating a convicted felon, which has assisted me with keeping my children safe. I will continue to use this service and recommend it to friends.

Hi Julie,

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Thank you! It has been easier since you helped me as a senior with Parkinson's Disease. The man I talked to on the phone was very kind to me. He answered all my questions. Three cheer for him! I would recommend this search site. Checkmate is not ordinary. They research very carefully to give you the right information. Other sites don't do their research. In one site the information for one seeking to find me. Was not only incorrect information but had me working as a nurse instead of SAG performer. The girl that they showed to others never, ever looked like me. How they got some kind of information and a picture is a puzzle to me.

Hi Pam,

That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

IC has me listed on their open, public website as potentially having 24 criminal records, including sex offender status in AZ. My name is not common, my age is accurate, my current zip code is as well. They confirmed that I do not in fact have a criminal record, but their public interface suggests otherwise. Their data collection techniques are problematic to say the least. I have no idea how long this false and libelous information has been on their website.

Hi Chris,

We hate to hear you're unhappy with our service. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of TruthFinder. Once you have opted out, your background report will no longer appear on the TruthFinder site. Your background report will be removed from our databases and our website, but as we did not create these records, they will still be available, albeit from different sources. We will reach out to you privately to provide more information on how to do this.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Overall I have had a good experience with Instant Checkmate. It has often helped me to locate people from my distant past whom I never thought I would be able to find again. Unfortunately I occasionally find that there is very little information on some people I look up.

Hi Angela,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate expert review by Ben Mannes

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Instant Checkmate Company Information