Get Pricing

2. Background Check Companies

4.5/5 (97 ratings)

About Instant Checkmate

Instant Checkmate is a public records search service. All of the information is generated by searching public records from federal, state and county databases and compiling it into a report. You can look up addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles, driving records, arrest records, demographic data and a variety of other information.

Pros

• Unlimited reports with subscription
  • Detailed reports
  • Easy to use
  • Use 30 data points for reports

Cons

• Not a traditional background check
  • Subscriptions automatically renew

Bottom Line

Instant Checkmate searches multiple databases to create an easy-to-read report. Subscriptions come with unlimited reports. All information is public record and cannot be used for employment screenings.

Top Instant Checkmate Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Checkmate does what it advertises - reveals otherwise difficult to obtain information about individuals. We found it useful recently when a home inspector gave misleading informat...

Verified

I have never felt so unsafe in my life with scammers who claim to be one and they are not. Instant Checkmate helped me tremendously to remove those who are not legitimate and are ...

ConsumerAffairs operates independent of Instant Checkmate and does not offer background check services. Per the Instant Checkmate terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. Instant Checkmate does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is Instant Checkmate?

Instant Checkmate lets you look up a person’s information by typing in their name, age and location in the search console. Instant Checkmate asks you questions about the person as it searches databases to narrow results down to the right match.

Once you have a match, you purchase a membership subscription to access the report. A subscription gives you access to unlimited reports for as long as you are enrolled.

You can look up the following information and more using Instant Checkmate:

• Phone numbers
  • Voter registration
  • Census data
  • Social media profiles
  • Bankruptcy history

Strict guidelines dictate how and why you can use a public records search service. Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency, and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prohibits using Instant Checkmate to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Before using Instant Checkmate, make sure you review the guidelines of what you can and can’t do with the information found on its site.

Instant Checkmate cost

Instant Checkmate offers two subscription plans. Both plans give you access to unlimited reports. The company bills one-month subscriptions every 30 days and three-month subscriptions every 90 days. Instant Checkmate offers a five-day free trial. The trial option shows up on the checkout page after several minutes.

PlanPrice per month
Five-day trialFree
One-month$34.78
Three-month$27.82 ($83.47 total)
Reverse phone lookup$4.99

Membership subscriptions automatically renew every 30 or 90 days unless you cancel before the start of the next payment period. If you sign up for the five-day trial and don’t cancel before it expires, you’re automatically charged $34.78, the one-month subscription rate, every 30 days until you cancel. You can cancel your membership through your online account or by phone.

Instant Checkmate FAQ

Is Instant Checkmate safe?
Yes, Instant Checkmate is safe. The company has a verified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate and uses 128-bit encryption. Instant Checkmate also runs malware checks with Norton Antivirus software daily.
Does Instant Checkmate notify the person you’re searching?
No, Instant Checkmate does not notify any search subjects.
Is Instant Checkmate legal?
Yes, it is legal to use Instant Checkmate, but it is illegal to use the service to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), including screening someone for employment, a lease or credit eligibility. Make sure you follow the search guidelines when using Instant Checkmate.
Is Instant Checkmate free to use?
No, Instant Checkmate is not free. You must sign up for a membership. Memberships start at $27.82 a month and give you access to unlimited reports.
Is Instant Checkmate worth the price?
Yes, if you need the company’s service, it is worth the price. Even though the information on Instant Checkmate comes from public records, you would have to search through each individual federal, state and county database to find the information. Instant Checkmate compiles it all into one easy-to-read report, and all subscriptions include unlimited reports.

Is Instant Checkmate legit?

Instant Checkmate saves you time searching through numerous government databases to find the information you need. Sometimes people aren’t who they say or keep things from you that they don’t want you to know. Using Instant Checkmate helps you verify someone’s identity before meeting them in person or going into business with them, which protects you in the long run. Instant Checkmate is not a substitute for a traditional background check, however.

Instant Checkmate Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

You have a remarkable employee by the name of Susan. She was so patient, knowledgeable and kind. This had to be hard due to the fact we are not tech savvy.

Her sweet demeanor never changed throughout the long process to get us signed up. It was our fault that it was so long. She is definitely an asset to your company. Based on our experience thus far, we would not hesitate to recommend your company to others.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Agent Raven out of San Diego, California… gave me EXCELLENT customer service!!!! She is VERY FRIENDLY!!!! I could feel her smile and enthusiasm over the phone. She has EXCELLENT PEOPLE SKILLS!! Not only did she cancel my service (dissatisfied with it), she resold me into another plan that I’ll be paying monthly. And ALL BECAUSE OF RAVEN, Your co. WILL STILL BE…. KEEPING MY BUSINESS!!!! Instant Checkmate needs to hire MORE employees like Raven!!!! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND your company offer Raven a training position to train some of the other DEADBEAT AGENTS working the phones!!!! Thank you, Scott

Original review: May 4, 2021

I called to question a charge (to a credit card I don't use anymore (but is still activated)) from Instant Checkmate (IC). I need to say upfront the the person I talked to (Lindsey (sp?)) was very courteous and helpful. That being said, although it was my responsibility to notice, I guess, I would've appreciated it if IC had a program in place to help with these "double accounts" (again, I take responsibility).

Additionally, I found that, for people who call to question billing items, IC could lower the rate paid for the "all services" account from almost $35/month to $16.95/month. I am recently retired and looking to lower my bills wherever I can; I would also have greatly appreciated it if IC had done this for me earlier (I use IC occasionally to try to locate old friends, but have considered many times canceling, due to the high (in my opinion) cost. I do appreciate the lower cost, I guess I'll keep my subscription for a while longer. Again, kudos to Lindsey - she was very professional and very nice.

Original review: April 23, 2021

On 4-22-21 I was very fortunate to receive one if not the finest examples of assistance from a gifted professional customer service representative named Marisa. She combines her natural instincts with subject matter knowledge to quickly adjust her tempo of verbal exchange. Without patronizing me as a sick 73 year old customer exhibiting a need for slower, easy to understand and patient dialogue, she soon satisfied all of my questions. Additionally, she also educated me about, who, what, where and why explanations for my own further problem solving. Having that very important self confidence is extra work for so very kind of her to empower me.

Additionally, I also spoke with Marisa's supervisor named Genese and found another golden asset your company employs. My humble opinion as a seasoned educator of critical care Registered Nurses, Genese as a first line supervisor demonstrates she dedicates every working hour to personally mentor new agents to her own standard of excellence. I'm convinced that your wise promotion for Genese to a higher level of organizational improvement will offer Marisa her mentoring role. Respectfully, Charles F. ** and Mary Ann. PS; Please give these kind ladies our thanks and call for further.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I needed to find out the date of death of a person so I could request an informational death certificate from the County of Los Angeles for a property transaction where the title never got changed to the buyer. Checkmate had a special deal and it was very convenient and easy to use. I was suppose to cancel before the 30-day trial and totally forgot, but when I got the notice from PayPal I made a phone call and they not only canceled without a hassle, they refunded my money (I called the same day and hadn't used the service in the new month). The customer service rep was very helpful and understanding. I will definitely use this service next year when I start the search for classmates for my 50-year high school reunion!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Some of the Report I did not understand. The term of the word in the report were abbreviate. No police reports. No court. One of the main thing that I were looking were not there. Had some good information, but corresponding date did not match.

Instant Checkmate response

Hi Ivey,

We understand how frustrating it can be when you cannot find the information that you were looking for. We work really hard to provide relevant and useful information to our users. Sometimes, however, there may be incorrect or inaccurate data that we receive from our sources. If there’s anything we can do to better your experience, please let us know!

Sincerely,

TruthFinder Support

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My Customer Service Rep. was very helpful and knew her job very well. Very pleasant to talk to. She did a excellent job, Need more workers like her. Very dedicated. Did not want to hurry over the conversation to get done. She was definitely an asset to your company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Aaron (sp?) was very helpful in answering my questions and helping me with my account. Very patient and extremely polite which makes for comfortable phone interaction. Thank-you! I will be sure to recommend Instant Checkmate to my colleagues and friends. Keep great employees on to help with such problems.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Great service by kind, knowledgeable and courteous staff. Thanks. It was a pleasure securing your service and when I need this type of service again I will contact your kind, knowledgeable and courteous staff for assistance. Thanks again and again and again and again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

We would like to thank Angela for her help getting our account canceled today. We had already put in a request for cancelation that somehow didn't process but Angela was so helpful and made sure it was taken care of.

Instant Checkmate Company Information