2.18/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3401 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Thank you! It has been easier since you helped me as a senior with Parkinson's Disease. The man I talked to on the phone was very kind to me. He answered all my questions. Three cheer for him! I would recommend this search site. Checkmate is not ordinary. They research very carefully to give you the right information. Other sites don't do their research. In one site the information for one seeking to find me. Was not only incorrect information but had me working as a nurse instead of SAG performer. The girl that they showed to others never, ever looked like me. How they got some kind of information and a picture is a puzzle to me.

Hi Pam,

That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Overall I have had a good experience with Instant Checkmate. It has often helped me to locate people from my distant past whom I never thought I would be able to find again. Unfortunately I occasionally find that there is very little information on some people I look up.

Hi Angela,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

For the most part I am satisfied with the information provided by Instant Checkmate but I wish it would go further before having to pay for premium information and even when you pay the premium add on it just doesn't go far enough. I'm sure there are probably some legal reasons but it would be nice to have more for less!

Hi Julie,

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Love this tool! I do a lot of genealogy research using Ancestry.com and use Instant Checkmate as my research tool to fill the gaps in ancestries. Would highly recommend it to anyone researching genealogies. I have used this tool for over 3 years and it has got me over some big hurdles in family history.

Hi Thomas,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

So far after only an hour or so, I was able to locate my niece and nephews. I had lost track of them when my brother passed away. I probably know their addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. I think my sister-in-law is still living and with one of my nephews. They are college grads and established in careers. I'm still disseminating. I'm sure I'll learn more.

Hi Maryann,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We're so happy to hear you were able to use our service to locate your niece and nephews! We appreciate your feedback. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Member Services

Instant Checkmate

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 4, 2019

I signed up for a month of access and reviewed the record of a previous domestic abuser. I was alarmed because it listed two arrests and 10+ criminal records. Considering the individual had made violent threats towards my loved ones, I saw this as an important expense. I am thoroughly disappointed with the results. They were a mix of records from the individual's father and their own information. For instance, it reported that they bought a house in 2012. I know that is a lie, but their father did. There were no arrest records. There were only 3 criminal records listed. I would like a refund, and I feel it is justified. I'd be more than happy to provide the screenshots of the "supposed records." - Blie

Instant Checkmate response
We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 2, 2019

After I found that we did not need a background check on ourselves after all, I tried to stop all the push notifications I've gotten numerous times EVERY DAY FOR MONTHS. I'm told they'll send me a confirmation email to finish the opt out process, but I've never gotten it, even after multiple attempts. We didn't even subscribe to the service and we DO NOT NEED IT. This is driving us both crazy, to the point that if we ever did have a need for it, this would be the last company I'd contact.

Instant Checkmate response

We’re sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience with Instant Checkmate.

In order to stop receiving these notifications, please follow these instructions:
1. Go to www.instantcheckmate.com/unsubscribe
2. Your current subscription status will state "Subscribed" or "Not Subscribed"

3. If subscribed, click the green “Unsubscribe” button to stop receiving push notifications from Instant Checkmate

If you are receiving push notifications, but you are “Not Subscribed,” there’s an easy explanation: You allowed push notifications while you were using a different browser and device, like Safari on their mobile phone. Please use the correct browser and device to unsubscribe from Instant Checkmate push notifications.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Support Team at 1-800-222-8985 or via email at support@instantcheckmate.com. We are available to assist you during regular business hours, Mon-Sun 5am - 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Customer Support

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 13, 2019

I just paid $40 to do a background check and I know way more than what is listed on here. This is a complete rip off. And immense amount of information is missing and I am very disappointed that I wasted my money. I’m going to call tomorrow and ask for a refund which I doubt I will get.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: May 29, 2019

I knew my deceased father was in prison, but did not know why. He was in prison when I was young, and died before I was out of grammar school. No one ever told me why. This terrible site exploited my curiosity and charged me $35 to tell me my father passed away ten years ago, when he really died over 20 years ago, and it gave me a report for criminal activity up until eight years ago. The BBB needs to shut them down.

Hi Jennifer,

We apologize that you were unhappy with the information in your report. We obtain our information from various third-party sources, which may include incorrect or incomplete data. We apologize for this error and we’d like to work with you to correct this. We will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: May 20, 2019

I did one search providing name and location of the person. I know the date of birth, and other locations the person lived. This report came back with nothing about the person I searched. Wrong age, dob, locations he never lived at, etc. Rather the report came back with a few DUIs of a person with a different middle name and pages of child molesters at addresses he never lived. What a farce. Trust me. I have done background investigations for years and this one sucks!

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have noticed few days ago that I have strange transaction for around $34. I did not recognize it and did not recognize the name of company. I called my bank and informed them about this. They told me that it is subscription. So in panic I tried to check how many payments have been already made. And discovered that this company have been charging me every month for over half a year. I did not even know what this is for... Checked my email and could not find anything apart from confirmation that I have purchased on Instant Checkmate 'Unlimited PDF Downloads', Quantity 1 for total of $3.99. I could not remember buying this but many months ago I was doing research on company I was supposed to go to business with and maybe found something on their website which was helpful and wanted to see more and print it.

I did a lot of forensic work on this company for weeks and cannot remember all details. But never ever I have signed for some subscription of services which I do not need. I live in UK and data provided by Instant Check Mate is relevant to USA mostly. So those scammers have been charging me without my consent for months!!! This is fraud and criminal activity. Keep away from them!!! Barbara

Instant Checkmate response
We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: April 29, 2019

I used this service once and have just noticed that money is going out of my account. This needs to stop. I paid for a one time report so why is money still going out of my account 3 months later? I await a response!

Instant Checkmate response
We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced with our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: April 27, 2019

This website has a lot of false information on my background in which my used to be husband used it to background check on me in which I supposedly lived in another state and I lived with several sex offenders and to where I was using dating website while being with him and for some reason that because Instant Checkmate has no school records on me am all of a sudden an immigrant!!!! As of now am receiving mental health. My husband is now on drugs because he DEMANDS I tell him the truth when there is no truth to tell. Thank you Instant Checkmate. You done ** up our lives with your false information.

Hi Rosa,

We apologize that you are unhappy with your report. We compile existing public records, from databases like courthouses and census bureaus, into one report. We do not change or modify the information we are provided. There's a chance that the information we are provided may be out-of-date or inaccurate. All customers have the option to opt-out from Instant Checkmate. You can do so by calling our Customer Care department.

Original review: April 24, 2019

A complete runaround. Trying to obtain background information about myself and received information about some other person. The website was frustrating with always wanting more money. I called for a refund, the girl was rude and unprofessional. She said my refund would be processed in 4-5 days. I’m so upset of the amount of time the process took to have my money taken with no service in return.

Instant Checkmate response
We’re sorry to hear you found some inaccuracies in your report. We do not own the public record databases — we simply compile public data. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, the information in your report may be incomplete or inaccurate. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: April 24, 2019

One of those sites that tells you that you can do what you want, and they have all the info that you're looking for only to get you through the entire process and then try to get you to pay and also they lied. Their business model is literally lying, and wasting people's time in order to try to trick them into paying for their service. They want you to think "oh, well, I've already wasted 30 minutes of my life waiting for this website to get to the point where it tells me that they charge, I might as well just pay them so I don't waste more of my time." I'm not going to spend 30 dollars to find out if they have the info they say they have (they don't), so like any sensible person I'm simply writing this one off as a scam.

Instant Checkmate response

We're sorry you were unhappy with our services. We do not claim to be a free service. Instant Checkmate compiles pre-existing public records into one easy-to-read report. The following article explains what is included in a standard report: http://bit.ly/2UVlfII — while we wish we could provide all of this information for free, it costs money to access premium databases and maintain our website. Sincerely, Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: April 21, 2019

I keep getting a popup whenever I go online with Chrome from this company stating they found two criminal records on me in my state and they offer to send me the records if I'll purchase a subscription from them. I have never been arrested or had charges filed or gone to court. This is a scam company but as they seem to have an email address I believe I will contact a consumer advocate attorney to see what my options are for this harassment.

Hi Philip,

Please watch this video tutorial to learn how to unsubscribe from push notifications: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1FEkZpcdg. We don't create or modify public records, we simply assemble pre-existing records into one easy-to-read report. Occasionally the information we are provided may be inaccurate or out-of-date, and there is also a possibility that individuals with the same name may appear on each other's report. We have complete respect for your privacy, and as a courtesy, we have opted you out of Instant Checkmate. If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Care department on 1-800-222-8985.

Resolution response: April 11, 2019

I was very surprised to receive an email from InstantCheckmate.com today. I had been unhappy with the information available on their site and they refunded all of the money I had paid them. I would call that excellent customer service.

Original review: April 10, 2019

At first I thought the site was legitimate. Then I looked myself up and found I was a male attorney who went to prestigious law schools. The date of my husband's death is wrong, and there is no listing of our marriage. I checked other people's names and also found incorrect information. And it seems wrong that anyone can pay for your service and then change anyone's data. When looking for information on people, most email addresses are not current, and there is nothing about marriages and children. And few high school and colleges were listed. Surely there are records about these events with local and state governments. I don't feels it's unreasonable to ask for at least half my money back. Grace, Oregon

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have been on hold forever. This is a joke. Do not give any credit card information to them. You will not be able to delete it either. I'm pretty sure they may have been hacked because they allowed an unauthorized user onto my account and reactivate the account and do a ton of searches and premium searchs. Somehow, this hacker is also getting others to 'signup' for Instant Checkmate because they get free premium searches.

Instant Checkmate response
Thank you for reaching out. We apologize that you had a frustrating experience with our site, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: April 8, 2019

I googled my entire name and I saw my name associated with ex husband and other people and places that I don't know. I have also received and reported receiving a call saying that they were from the Social Security office saying that my car was found in Allen Texas when I have never been there. My car was with me. I was just getting back to work from having an accident.

To my knowledge my vehicle was being repaired and not driveable. Then last night unable to sleep and bored I googled my name and I saw you have falsely represented my name. I don't know several people that you have me relatives to and had me associated with a place that I never knew existed. I am willing to prove I have never been to Allen Texas in my life. And I am willing to to file a legal slander with an attorney. This is could be damaging to my character, and credit. I am frighten and reaching out for legal help. I am a quiet person who doesn't get around much. I have metal in my legs. This is wrong.

Instant Checkmate response
We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience on our site. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we have opted you out of our website so your information will no longer appear in our database.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: April 6, 2019

Initially wanted to locate an old friend, now keep getting all sorts of pop-ups trying to encourage me to "dig into her life"... not interested in that. I have tried to find where I can remove my information from this site and "OPT OUT" of any future emails.

Hi Maria,

We're sorry that you weren't happy with our services. It sounds like you subscribed to push notifications while you were visiting our site. It's easy to unsubscribe from push notifications. The following page can provide detailed instructions on how to do so: https://www.instantcheckmate.com/unsubscribe

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 31, 2019

I have been trying for several days to remove my info, but have not received the opt out email. Read numerous reviews and seems like this company is known its non existent customer service and does not complete these removals upon request. Terrible site!

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our site. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." We have opted your information out from Instant Checkmate. Please allow 72 hours for the changes to be reflected on our website. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to our Customer Care team.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 16, 2019

This site is showing that I have an arrest record from 2007, which is not only completely untrue but nowhere on my background. I worked in education until 2013 and had FBI and DOJ fingerprint clearance. Also,I have seen my background report from my employer, and there is zero on my report. Responses from them to other reviews claims that they have 3rd party info but that is untrue as I have seen my background reports from all my employers and never has there been anything. I have a very uncommon name so a "mixup" is highly unlikely. This site is just trying to bait you into paying for information on people with no results. Sad that they have to benefit monetarily by posting complete lies publicly.

Instant Checkmate response
We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience on our site. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 5, 2019

I canceled my subscription 2/18 and unknown to me they continued to charge me at a higher rate 34.78 a month! I asked for my money back 12 mos, but they only agreed to 3. The person on the phone told me to watch for an email and keep checking my spam. I look every day and no email. I am going to take it further if my subscription is somehow not canceled...again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Should be sued for inaccurate and misleading report! Says I am related to people never heard of, phone number never had and addresses I never lived at. Put on hold for over 45 min and no one answered.

Instant Checkmate response
We apologize you were unhappy with the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Imagine my surprise when I searched my phone number online and found Instant Checkmate selling not just my name and number, but my full address, the names and addresses of my family members, and previous cities where I'd lived. This is an identity thief's dream come true! I instantly took every possible step to have my personal information scrubbed from this website. Instant Checkmate claims that they allow anyone to opt-out of having their data sold (interesting, as I never remember opting in)... but when I made the request from their website, I was instructed to click a link in their confirmation email to finalize the process. Well, I made multiple attempts and never received an email. What a shocker! What they're doing isn't just sleazy and violating — if they're intentionally stalling/sabotaging the opt-out process, that is ILLEGAL.

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our site. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." We have opted out your information from Instant Checkmate. Please allow 72 hours for the system to update. Reach out to us if you have any questions.

Resolution response: March 1, 2019

After trying to call the number provided to cancel a subscription I did not want, and going online to cancel, a customer support person from Instant Checkmate verified my cancellation and refunded my money. Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I used the service for some information I needed and do not need the service anymore and the number to call to cancel is invalid so I went online to cancel subscription but from the reviews they don't honor this either... What is the deal? If they are a reputable company as they say why not give correct phone numbers on receipt and honor our requests to cancel subscriptions.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Your company is providing others with my private address and information. I have used the "remove my info" link numerous times to no avail. I have not received a single email to my inbox or spam folder. I have called but no one answered as well as emailed without a response. I cannot believe your company puts people's safety at risk by providing private physical address and phone numbers. If my information is not removed and I don't get a response to this I will be filing a formal complaint as well as listing a complaint with the BBB.

Instant Checkmate response
We hate to hear you're unhappy with our site. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have been trying to call customer service for two days as I've been unable to log into my account. NO ONE answers their customer service line. Are you kidding me? This is how you lose subscribers. That's IF they can get you on the phone to cancel their membership.

Instant Checkmate response
Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that you had a frustrating experience with our Customer Care team, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

They have no email support and despite informing customers on their website FAQ and terms of use that you are able to cancel your subscription online you are not able to. You have to call to cancel and no one answers your call. It's a total scam.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have sent requests 12/2017, 11/2018 and 1/2019 to this company to cancel my subscription. I recently noticed it is still charging me and they responded in 12/17 and requested my email for my PayPal account to cancel it. I responded with the requested information, however the charges continued. At this point they've taken over $450 after being asked to cancel the subscription. Be very wary of using this service. I want my money back!

Instant Checkmate expert review by Ben Mannes

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Instant Checkmate Company Information