4.3/5 (55 ratings)

About Instant Checkmate

Instant Checkmate is one of the leading public records search tools on the internet, providing instant access to millions of documents. Instant Checkmate’s information is generated by searching public records that include federal, state, and county databases and compiling them all into one report. Users can look up addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles, driving records, arrest records and more. Just enter a name and state to start your search.

Pros

• Unlimited reports with subscription
  • Detailed reports
  • Easy to use
  • Use 30 data points for reports

Cons

• Not a traditional background check
  • Subscriptions automatically renew

Bottom Line

Instant Checkmate searches multiple databases to create an easy-to-read report. Subscriptions come with unlimited reports. All information is public record and cannot be used for employment screenings.

Top Instant Checkmate Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Checkmate does what it advertises - reveals otherwise difficult to obtain information about individuals. We found it useful recently when a home inspector gave misleading informat...

Verified

I have never felt so unsafe in my life with scammers who claim to be one and they are not. Instant Checkmate helped me tremendously to remove those who are not legitimate and are ...

ConsumerAffairs operates independent of Instant Checkmate and does not offer background check services. Per the Instant Checkmate terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. Instant Checkmate does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is Instant Checkmate?

Instant Checkmate lets you look up a person’s information by typing in their name, age and location in the search console. Instant Checkmate asks you questions about the person as it searches databases to narrow results down to the right match.

Once you have a match, you purchase a membership subscription to access the report. A subscription gives you access to unlimited reports for as long as you are enrolled.

You can look up the following information and more using Instant Checkmate:

• Phone numbers
  • Voter registration
  • Census data
  • Social media profiles
  • Bankruptcy history

Strict guidelines dictate how and why you can use a public records search service. Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency, and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prohibits using Instant Checkmate to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Before using Instant Checkmate, make sure you review the guidelines of what you can and can’t do with the information found on its site.

Instant Checkmate cost

Instant Checkmate offers two subscription plans. Both plans give you access to unlimited reports. The company bills one-month subscriptions every 30 days and three-month subscriptions every 90 days. Instant Checkmate offers a five-day free trial. The trial option shows up on the checkout page after several minutes.

PlanPrice per month
Five-day trialFree
One-month$34.78
Three-month$27.82 ($83.47 total)
Reverse phone lookup$4.99

Membership subscriptions automatically renew every 30 or 90 days unless you cancel before the start of the next payment period. If you sign up for the five-day trial and don’t cancel before it expires, you’re automatically charged $34.78, the one-month subscription rate, every 30 days until you cancel. You can cancel your membership through your online account or by phone.

Instant Checkmate FAQ

Is Instant Checkmate safe?
Yes, Instant Checkmate is safe. The company has a verified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate and uses 128-bit encryption. Instant Checkmate also runs malware checks with Norton Antivirus software daily.
Does Instant Checkmate notify the person you’re searching?
No, Instant Checkmate does not notify any search subjects.
Is Instant Checkmate legal?
Yes, it is legal to use Instant Checkmate, but it is illegal to use the service to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), including screening someone for employment, a lease or credit eligibility. Make sure you follow the search guidelines when using Instant Checkmate.
Is Instant Checkmate free to use?
No, Instant Checkmate is not free. You must sign up for a membership. Memberships start at $27.82 a month and give you access to unlimited reports.
Is Instant Checkmate worth the price?
Yes, if you need the company’s service, it is worth the price. Even though the information on Instant Checkmate comes from public records, you would have to search through each individual federal, state and county database to find the information. Instant Checkmate compiles it all into one easy-to-read report, and all subscriptions include unlimited reports.

Is Instant Checkmate legit?

Instant Checkmate saves you time searching through numerous government databases to find the information you need. Sometimes people aren’t who they say or keep things from you that they don’t want you to know. Using Instant Checkmate helps you verify someone’s identity before meeting them in person or going into business with them, which protects you in the long run. Instant Checkmate is not a substitute for a traditional background check, however.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

The gentleman on the phone provided superb service. I was not able to access my account on my new device because it was not sending the email for verification. He escalated to his supervisor who said we needed to submit a ticket which would take 24-48 hours but he was determined to help me today and we tried one more option and it worked. I am grateful for his determination and superb service. You should give him a raise or promotion!

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

The site was easier than navigate around found information that I didn’t know. Very helpful and the bonus of the registered sex offender‘s in the area was also a big help. If you try this out look at the sex offender page and know your surrounding area. Keep your kids and grandchildren safe. I will definitely be back when I can utilize it more otherwise I would definitely keep it. This is an awesome site.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

The customer service rep was polite and efficient. No problems when I decided that I no longer needed a subscription. I would use this service again if I needed to locate a phone number or address. It was fast and easy and provided me with the info that I was looking for. I was then able to easily reach the person that I lost touch with and was searching for. Helped me a great deal.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

The man who helped me went above and beyond, spending time answering every question and concern kindly and patiently as well as efficiently. He was extremely knowledgeable. If he was an employee of Instant Checkmate he should be considered as a highly valuable asset. Instant Checkmate, however, despite the extensively constructed website gave me only one name I didn’t know but did not mention things such as Joseph **’s extensive arrest background in Modesto and Burson, California, such an arrest for threatening behavior with a gun. Another arrest resulted in a judge requiring a year of probation with weekly

checking in, then monthly. Joseph has an extensive ‘rap sheet’ With the Modesto and Calaveras County Police Departments. I certainly do not feel that I got my money’s worth. Please cancel any further interaction. Thank you. Audrey

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

When I set this up to check on some things that I needed to check on. I had no problem getting what I needed. Then I used it for 2 months and then when I went to cancel the lady that helped me did an awesome job. No hassles at all. She cleared me and I was done. It was that easy and I was very impressed and she or them were very cooperative. Thank you. Oh, I would recommend it to a friend but it is kind of expensive.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Did not provide accurate information on background check at all. There is nothing worth paying for. All categories are empty. (Even life long job status). This page was presented poorly. You don't have any of the basic answers on here. You get address and phone number for 27.00$? You should regroup and provide an answer to at least a few elementary questions.

Instant Checkmate response
    We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.
    Sincerely,

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

My mother is elderly and not computer savvy. One day she asked me to look up some friends she hasn't seen in ages. I was able to find most of them with Instant Checkmate (some were deceased) and she reconnected with them. It made me so happy to find them for her and she was even happier to reconnect with them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Should be on a month to month basis for some people. I’m on a fixed income and can’t afford a subscription. But all information was correct and I was very pleased with what I found out about certain people. I would highly recommend this site.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

It was a great pleasure of having assistance getting my membership canceled without any hard time. I would definitely recommend having someone use this app for finding something out about someone. So greatly appreciated for the gratitude for their support.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Already called and cancelled subscription!!! Spoke with Amber at 6:08 pm. Very unsatisfied. I spent $1.99 and $3.99 and 27.08 when all I needed was my bankruptcy information. Very unsatisfied!!! Wish I could get a refund from company. Very unsatisfied.

Instant Checkmate response