Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Sonia,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find your lost friends and family members! Thank you for the positive feedback, and we're glad you love our service. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

It helped me find a ton of my lost friends and family members I would have never found on my own! LOVE IT.

Hi Patricia,

We’re so happy to hear that our service is helping you locate long lost family members and friends! Thank you for taking the time to share your story and provide us with such positive feedback. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 11, 2016

I have performed 5 searches, 3 to find long lost family members, and 2 to find friends. All were found quickly and accurately, 1 with very little information to go on. This is a fantastic search engine! I don't know how you do it and I worked in information technology for over 10 years. I am so grateful for all the joy your product has added to our lives. Without your product, I can't begin to think how empty the end of my life would have been. I have a rare but wasting illness and you have allowed me to meet with people I never would have found without you. Thank you so much!

Hi Saundra,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find your long lost friends! Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 29, 2016

I was able to easily locate friends I had not seen for 40 years! The site is really great!

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your feedback and for reaching out. We will contact you privately to work out the issue.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Two items. 1- I think many of your email addresses shown in profiles are inaccurate. These need to be better verified. 2- I received an invite and completed a live survey with COURTNEY (Dir of Research at Checkmate). She promised a $40 AMAZON Gift Card which I NEVER RECEIVED. I will shortly be sharing this fact on social media.

Hi Melody,

I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with our site. Our management team is currently looking into this issue. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I did one check on 8/4 for their monthly fee knowing that they now will automatically charge every month for unlimited checks unless you cancel. I could have sworn I called and cancelled it yet when I called back with close to a $100 of billing for one usage in August and begged them to refund the $30 they just charged me for the third time yesterday because things are so tight. I can't even buy groceries. They REFUSED!! What a greedy company who can care less about their customers or their reputation!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate ?

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that there was a problem with the reports you pulled, and that we were unable to get your issue resolved when you contacted our member care team. We have contacted you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I tried this service and the reports were totally blank except the person's name and address which I already knew. I complained and they basically said sometimes that happens, of course in a longer winded version of that but same BS. It happened 3 times because I tried several as a test before I gave up on it. They refuse to refund me. Oh well live and learn, but thought I'd share.

Hi Bonnie,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

I used instant checkmate back in March 30, 2014 and at that time did not set up a recurring auto payment. I set up a one time payment to see my report such as this statement taken right off of your website: "Remember, you do not need to purchase a Premium Report to access all of the information available in your Standard Report. Our Premium Reports contain exclusive data that is not available in standard reports, and this information is gathered from an extensive network of secure databases. To access the premium data, a onetime payment of $19.99 will be applied to the credit card on your file."

"Why is there an additional charge? Premium data can be highly sensitive, and we pay an extra fee each time we unlock this information for our users. To help cover this cost and keep our membership prices as low as possible, we must charge a small upgrade fee. Remember, you do not need to purchase a Premium Report to access all of the information available in your Standard Report."

I was never one to check my account and did not think there would have been any dishonesty from this company. However not once but two times a month for the last 30 months you guys have been taking money out of my account. I just realized it and am so upset. The first charge every month is for $19.86 and then the next amount is $29.63. So they did more than take a monthly charge out - they did it twice in two amounts. I looked into this on my account and nowhere on my account did it show I was set up for an recurring charge nor did it say I was set up for a certain account. I opened up another window while logged in and looked someone up to see what it would charge for additional information and copied information for this letter.

Next thing I know it tagged my husband to my account even though I did not look him up in it. They obviously do not have things put together there and their website gives you little to no information about your account. I live paycheck to paycheck and have 3 children 2 of which are disabled and am totally upset that they would take advantage of someone just hoping that they would not notice like me. They have taken a total of $1484.70 out of my account just for me looking to look up a couple people back in 2014.

I trusted the one time payment and never agree to a monthly payment and now I have to look into legal action to get my money back. How sad to run your business like this and take peoples money. I would hope that no one else gets fooled into using this place and have the same problem happen to them like me. That money could have went the therapies for my boys instead of Instant Checkmate stealing it.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. While our data providers are always updating their information, some state and local governments do not release their records to the public, which can create gaps in our data. We want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to provide further assistance.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

Mediocre results. Cannot readily tell what is current and what is not.

Hi David,

We’re sorry that you weren’t happy with our service, but glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I opted into this service and would not have left a negative review if it did what it said it would. I was also extremely disappointed to learn that many of the features they promise require you to pay more and more money. These were features that were advertised in the initial signup. You're paying approximately $30 to sign up, and if you really want pertinent information, you're required to opt in and pay for more. They should give access to those "premium" features/services because that (I guess?) is where you'll find important information - it's the only reason people are signing up.

Hi Lynn,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

This site is a total scam. You get absolutely NOTHING for the $22 fee. If you want any significant information such as court records you will have to pay for an "upgrade". This is deceptive and exploitative. I wish only trouble and pain for the people who run this site.

Hi Gilman,

We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I looked up myself and people I know and address, phone numbers, jobs, etc. were all several years out-of-date. It seems pretty pointless to continue this service after my one month subscription is up.

Hi Andrew,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

I needed to run few background checks, and accidentally used my personal gmail address instead the address I typically use for these services. Within 2 days, I started receiving 500-1000 new spam messages to that email! I called the company and asked why they sold my information and they said, "just go unsubscribe from the spam messages." Of course, they could not be bothered.

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your honest feedback about our popup messages — we are always looking for ways to improve our user experience. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Very good in most, many lookups. Do not like the drop down messages. Please stop them, it is annoying.

Hi Jon,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Instant Checkmate is a public records search engine that apparently sold the unique email address I gave them to spammers who have continued to send unwanted emails nearly a year after they were first told to stop.

Hi Kathryn,

We're so glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I've paid for and used this service for years and now I can't seem to get in. Horrible. I may have to cancel.

Hi Shelley,

We’re sorry to hear you were unable to obtain information on certain people. Our data providers are always updating their information, but some state and local governments do not release their records to the public, or they may not update their databases annually, which can create gaps in our data. A manager from our member care team will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Very Unhappy with searches. I was unable to locate any information on some, only partial on others and on another there was someone else's arrests.

Hi Sarah,

We’re very sorry you are no longer a member of Instant Checkmate, but happy to know you got things straightened out with our member care team. If you have additional questions, our member care center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I used this service to check my criminal record but was discouraged as soon as I saw that the site didn't even get my birth date right! After all of those loading screens, making me think I was going to see tons of information, I was disappointed to see very little accurate information. Cancelled my account after about 5 minutes. Wish I could get my $22 back. :(

Hi Derek,

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Did not list my one speeding ticket from 1985, in Wisconsin. Did not list my cleaning business, in Bowling Green, KY, from 1997-1998. Listed a wrong state that I lived in -- Holland, MI. Did not list the house and property I own in Warren County, Kentucky. Did not list my three social media accounts, former and present: Facebook, MySpace, Google+. Did not list my second daughter. No past employment records were provided for me, Derek **. Did not list my university education, or my current SS disability. I feel like I was scammed. Plus every time a new piece of information was offered, a very high, ridiculous price was presented. I will never use this again. I will warn all of my relatives, friends, and former co-workers to not waste their money on instantcheckmate.com. I am very disappointed.

Hi Todd,

We’re so happy to hear that you find your Instant Checkmate subscription well worth it. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

The report on the person I was researching was very helpful. It contained much pertinent contact information. I was able to search by phone number and also by name. The name search produced much more data. It was good to know an even more thorough background check was available by paying a small fee if I needed it, but I only wanted the basic search provided to members. Once again my subscription to Instant Checkmate is well worth it.

Hi Denine,

We're sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with our service. We know how frustrating it is when you don’t get the information you were expecting. We are constantly working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but due to some states’ laws regarding public records, and slow electronic processing times in certain counties, there may be gaps in our data for some jurisdictions. We sincerely apologize, and will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 30, 2016

I am dissatisfied due to the following reasons: The lack of more search filters to make it easier to obtain precise information, the total lack of updated information.

I only found one small and insignificant bit of information I wasn't already aware of. The pricing at the initial sign up surely didn't reflect that to get any decent information. You would be charge additional amount for any little bit of information. I wanted cell phone numbers and wasn't able to obtain them. This site is nothing but a money grabber.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the high rating and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We really appreciate your feedback and will pass this feature request along to our development team. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 27, 2016

The next time your software team works on the site, would you please give some merit to adding DELETE? The ARCHIVE feature is somewhat useful; however, I'm sure that a new customer like myself will look their own name up, their spouse, someone they really know, just to see how accurate the results are, etc. It would be great to DELETE that resulting record rather than using ARCHIVE before moving and/or after searching other people.

Hi Derek,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback of your experience with Instant Checkmate. We're so happy to hear that you are able to find the information you need and that our member care team was able to resolve your issue right away. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team is standing by 24/7 to help. We can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: July 26, 2016

This service surprised me because I was skeptical about receiving real value for my money. I do not find everything I'm looking for, but I'm still learning how to use the search inquiry to find what I really need. This isn't a copycat service of competing providers either as I use competing providers of this same service as well in my searches. They all have their "secret sauce" search engine that yield different results and I like the ability to dig further when necessary.

I had one issue with the company, but it was immediately resolved with a supervisor and I'm pleased with the results as it makes my sometimes monotonous job easier to manage. I could easily recommend this service to anyone. By the way, I have renewed my 3-month purchase again. I especially like the following features: Possible relatives, social media links (hit and miss here), addresses have a date when last seen (allows me to cross reference another address from a competing service) and ability to search further when needed.

Hi James,

Original review: July 26, 2016

Any service that promises detailed information to lure you into slapping down your credit card then adds a disclaimer after they don't provide that information is a scam. Many people are looking for arrest and legal records in order to apply for pistol permits. This site initially promises that information only to recant it at the last steps saying info may not be accurate. There is no way to find out if there is legal information in the report without putting down your credit card and paying $28 + another $2 to download a pdf. There was literally NO legal information included in the report instead it states local, state and government law offices do not provide that information. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY and be sure if you do to cancel the recurring monthly charges. I considered disputing the credit card charges since it is really a scam not a legitimate service.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 25, 2016

They first explained why info might not be as up to date as I expected. Then they were more than willing to give me a full refund which I found was more than fair. So, yes, I feel the issue was resolved.

Hi Julie,

Original review: July 23, 2016

I looked up a couple of people and there was no "in depth" information revealed. In fact, much of what I already knew wasn't even listed. I feel this was not worth the cost and I feel ripped off.

Hi Cleveland,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about your recent experience with our site. We're really sorry to hear that you are no longer as satisfied with our service. We sincerely apologize and will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: July 23, 2016

I've used instant Checkmate before and really liked it but now it seems every thing cost extra and there's not much more info.

Hi Iris,

Original review: July 23, 2016

Very dissatisfied with the information presented because I was able to find all the information on my own prior to Instant Checkmate's service. I thought that I was going to receive much more detailed and accurate information through the Premium access but I was sadly disappointed and will not be recommending this service.

Hi Shauntel,

Member Service

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 22, 2016

The information provided is old information. Nothing is up to date.

Hi Fred,

We get our information from local county courthouses and census bureaus. This information is then uploaded to the database that we pull from. There is a possibility that some information may not show on a given individual because some state and local laws restrict us from accessing certain records which may not be considered “public” in that jurisdiction. In addition, users do have the option to upgrade to a premium report if they choose to do so, however a premium upgrade is not required to view basic information such as names, aliases, phone numbers, location history, possible related persons, arrest records, sex offenders, licenses, social media accounts, and horoscopes. If you have additional questions, our member care center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 21, 2016

On your page you said there is no other charge for reports like other sites. Only the monthly membership fee. But you want extra funds to view reports just like other sites. False statements on your web page.

Hi Ruben,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 20, 2016

I was able to find information about me that I never knew would ever be online!!! I was so into it I started researching my family to see if they were at risk as well. Turns out EVERYONE had info online. Thanks to InstantCheckmate.com we are all now in the process of taking all our info off the net!

Hi Melinda,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 19, 2016

Inaccurate info. I basically paid for info that is easily found via the internet!

Instant Checkmate Company Profile