Hi Jason,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We're happy to hear you were impressed with our reports! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 13, 2017

Everything is spot on. There's zero errors in their reports! After talking with people and friends about the accuracy of the reports, everyone was impressed. They all loved InstantCheckMate.com as much as I do. Keep up the super sleuthing.

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating! We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that you are enjoying our service. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: March 10, 2017

Very quick and easy to order. Great introductory offer. Very accurate information and fairly up to date. I would recommend this to a friend. Easy to navigate and great customer service. This is one of the best people search sites I have used.

Hi Sonia,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find your lost friends and family members! Thank you for the positive feedback, and we're glad you love our service. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

It helped me find a ton of my lost friends and family members I would have never found on my own! LOVE IT.

Hi Vera,

Thank you for the high rating and positive review! We're so happy to hear that Instant Checkmate has been able to help you connect with your relatives. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have used Checkmate for several years as part of my genealogy research. It has helped me connect with my relatives across the USA. The information is easy to read and the searches help a lot. I especially like the links to social media.

Hello,

We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Instant Checkmate. InstantCheckmate.com compiles reports from millions of public records, including information provided by state and local governments. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as "public record." As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of Instant Checkmate. We apologize for your troubles getting your information removed. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 7, 2017

As a crime victim, I shouldn't have to give them more information than they've already made public. I called them. Explained I wanted my listing removed and would give them limited info. The extremely rude woman hung up on me. I've emailed repeatedly with information and request for removal and have gotten no response. Exploring legal action against these sites, brokers, etc. Why exactly are these companies allowed to not only unilaterally publish without consent, but make money off of publishing our personal and private information?

Hi Anne,

We hate to hear you're unhappy with the updates we've made to our site. We sincerely apologize for your frustrating experience, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 4, 2017

I've been a customer for several years. I HATE THE NEW INTERFACE! Nothing is showing anymore! Very bad design. I don't care about their timeline. I want to see their phone and locations. HORRIBLE! I will be investigating other services who are user friendly!

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for reaching out and we apologize for any confusion. Our monthly membership does allow unlimited access to standard reports. While we try to provide our members with as much information as possible in our standard reports, we can’t show everything because some records are more difficult to obtain and it costs us money for each premium report we make. We do require a customer's authorization to charge the credit card or PayPal account each time they purchase a premium report. We sincerely apologize for your frustrating experience. A member care manager will be in touch shortly to help you.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 3, 2017

1st let me say that some info I found using your program broke my heart but it also allowed me to reach out to my brother and offer him some help and comfort. BUT AS GRATEFUL AS I AM - I AM STILL FURIOUS WITH YOUR COMPANY AND I WANT RESOLUTION. I just saw on my PayPal account that I signed up for your service and paid 34.78. Your advertisement said all was unlimited for this time period. Then I look and see 4 charges for 19.95. That is $80.00 I knew nothing about. Please explain your scheme and then refund the $80.00. Thanks so much and have a wonderful 4th!

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about how you use our service! We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helps you find what you are looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: July 1, 2017

I use the service to confirm mailing address and birthdate to send my clients birthday cards. Facebook tells me their birthday too, but not all have Facebook and it waits until too close to their birthday for me to get a card in the mail and to them on time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Hi G,

We’re sorry to hear you didn’t find useful information in our reports. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 29, 2017

Went ahead and risked it and paid $35 for month of full access. It's not full access at all. They constantly want you to upgrade. The basic info shown is nothing like a PI background check. They even want more for you to save the info in a PDF, I mean for real. Most the data was no good. Phone numbers did not reach the person, social info was broken links. I've seen a real background check and this was nothing like it.

Hi Titus,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you were unhappy with our service and that you did not have a good user experience. We provide our users with as much information about our service before a customer signs up. We explain what type of information our customers can expect to find in our reports, how our billing works, our Terms of Use and disclaimers, what our service can and cannot be used for, and what you can expect to find in our Standard versus Premium reports.

The purpose of providing all of this information up front is to allow the user to decide if this is the type of background check service they are looking for. From there, they can decide if they want to sign up for our services or not.

Again, we apologize for your frustrating experience, and we will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 27, 2017

Instant Checkmate is manipulative in its implementation if not design. After playing what is essentially a gamified cow clicker to generate a report you will be asked to pay a sizable fee, despite no indication of a paywall until you've already given the site considerable time engagement. Fear not, for if you don't take action for a few minutes the site will "congratulate" you with a $1 5-day membership.

The site recurrently reminds you that many people don't know its services exist. This could be construed as empowering its customers, or simply getting them to play IC's game the way IC wants. A background check service does real good in encouraging its users to handle its information discreetly, but the overwhelming message is not "be sensitive" but "satiate your curiosity." The writing gratuitously uses exclamatory shrieks, and the prospect and reality of customers becoming addicted to the thrill of personal information is unsettling on some levels.

If a criminal record comes up clean, the site will prompt the user to investigate additional data points with a premium subscription precisely at the moment the user scrolls to the Criminal Records section. Scrolling to the Location section and seeing a paid satellite map of someone's home residence may make you hallucinate the smell of rat poison. Instant Checkmate may be evil, but its information is organized in such a way to ensure its customers know what kind of usage of its services is illegal. It is also transparent about its (sometimes amusing) inaccuracies.

Hi Ryan,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our site! We're happy to hear that you found our trial useful, and we appreciate your feedback on the criminal and sex offender section of our reports. Thanks again for the positive feedback and high rating!

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 26, 2017

Try it - free trial. Really useful service for everyone who cares about knowing anything about people and for finding people you know a little bit about. If you're just worried about one person, you'll get the information you need for free so long as you cancel within the trial period. Yes, all of the information can be found on your own and usually for free, but that cost is dependent on you considering your time absolutely worthless. I seriously did find someone I've been looking for off and on since childhood (she had her Vietnamese first name on Facebook instead of the one I knew her in school by). It didn't tell me much of anything I didn't already know about most of the people I looked up except for a bunch of current phone numbers and a few addresses, but it has been invaluable to confirm information I'd already gained through regular Google research.

Their search feature is really good - if you know someone's first and last name and have a pretty good idea of where they live, or can do good enough research (like cities with a high median income, etc.), chances are this will find them. It won't tell you everything you need to take over someone's identity, but it'll help you find them, learn about them (especially if you're already familiar with their character), and often it'll help you contact them, too. Considering it's $30 for a full month and the most effort is spent in putting together a list of all the people you know, it's well worth it. Their cancellation process is 100% hassle free, no questions asked, maybe one special offer before you go. $2-3 to save PDF reports is essential, because once you cancel your account you no longer get access to your reports. They also have apps for Android and iPhone that are fantastic. Makes it really easy to creep on people even if you've only known them a few minutes.

One bad thing is how they associate people with criminal convictions. It seems like everyone and their mother has like 100 "criminal" convictions (most of these are traffic, which doesn't get its own category). All the false positives are "partial matches" - it's on the person's list of "likely" convictions so long as a couple points match, like First and Last name. Different birthdays often get included. In Los Angeles County, you can do a name search for a couple bucks that will give you all of the criminal and civil cases a person has been involved in, though, so this isn't a big issue. Another bad thing is the sexual predator thing - it's there on everyone's report and it's often the longest portion of the report. Totally unnecessary - should at least be a collapsed section.

Never bought a premium report, largely due to the whole "gambling" thing - you have no idea if what you're looking for will be included, only what category it may be in (civil conviction, etc.), and it may not even be applicable to them (based on the shoddy criminal conviction history) - but I can definitely see a use for that. Whether they actually have to pay that much extra for such information, though, even to average out their profits depending on the information sought, I have my doubts, but I can see how it would be worth it to someone needing specific information.

Hi Lee,

We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience with our site. Our management team is currently looking into this issue. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to provide further assistance.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: June 22, 2017

They have yet to remove my protected information, blocked me from Facebook although most other companies removed my information after I explained a crime victim and my life at risk publishing my information. They do not care if I get hurt or killed a veteran. They care about making money and that is all they care about despite the fact my address is protected under the law. Very sad.

Hi Leonard,

We’re happy that our member care team was able to get that issue resolved for you. If you need help with anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-800-222-8985. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Member Services

Original review: June 12, 2017

I went on the website to determine if an acquaintance of mine was still alive. I found that he was but ever since that time I get frequent continuing requests to reopen the report. at the bottom of my computer screen. There is an X to delete them but no way to say enough!

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding your recent experience with our service. An Instant Checkmate standard report may contain the following information: a person’s date of birth, phone numbers, address history, related persons, arrest records, government license information, social media profiles including email addresses, and nearby sex offenders. Although our service has included marriage and divorce records in the past, they are not currently provided. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. A manager from our member care team will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Member Services

Original review: June 10, 2017

I signed up for this thinking I could obtain the date of my long-ago divorce. After waiting a ridiculous amount of time to get the results, what I read did not include my current address, current employer or LinkedIn profile and most important, NO DIVORCE RECORDS. So then, thinking maybe if I get the Premium Search I would get what I was looking for -- NO! They will entice you with a message saying, "There's a big asset in your records, you should claim it," then you discover it's a house you sold decades ago.

They include those sales records, alright, but still NO DIVORCE RECORDS. Then I looked over some of my old addresses and found looong lists of names of people who "may have" lived in the same building decades ago -- people you likely never met, which fills out your "report." Then if you're feeling especially P.O.'ed by the experience, try calling "Customer Service" so they can put you in an "on hold," message loop that never gets answered. SUCH A RIPOFF. I want my money back!

Hi Saundra,

Thank you so much for the positive review! We're so glad to hear that we are able to help you locate people from your past. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Member Services

Original review: June 9, 2017

Every time I try to locate someone from my past, I can always find the contact information and a report. The site is super helpful! I have used it for reunions and locate former classmates, professors, and colleagues. It is well worth the cost of the membership!

Hi Suzanne,

We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Instant Checkmate and that you were unable to find the information you were looking for in your report. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Member Services

Original review: May 26, 2017

I paid $35 to see my own report and it is missing very important background information. I called to complain and I was told old records wouldn't show up. I checked a friend's record and their 20 year old record showed. I do not recommend this service.

Hi Travis,

We have received your request to have your information removed from our website. Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced due to our services. As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of Instant Checkmate.

We get our information from local county courthouses and census bureaus. This information is then uploaded to the database that we pull from. There exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. For these reasons, search results are filtered by "most likely," "likely," and "somewhat likely." The following disclaimer is also posted on every page of our website:

DISCLAIMER: It is PROHIBITED by law to use our service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq. Instant Checkmate does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency. The information available on our website may not be 100% accurate, complete, or up to date, so do not use this information as a substitute for your own due diligence, especially if you have concerns about a person’s criminal history. Instant Checkmate does not make any representation or warranty about the accuracy of the information available through our website or about the character or integrity of the person about whom you inquire. For more information, please review Instant Checkmate Terms of Use.

Member Services

Original review: May 24, 2017

My ex used your site to try and find negative things against me to interfere with me seeing my children. She never even paid for a review. Just screenshot the page where it says you folks have three criminal reports on me (included... she sent me the image with a rather nasty "gotcha now" type message). Which is outright FALSE. As I've never been arrested, never failed a drug screen, never had any convictions, and have even been registered with the Department of Homeland Security for employment and shown absolutely squeaky clean.

If this is just a hook or gimmick to dupe people into paying for your service, you need to rethink what damage you can do to clean reputations. "If she paid for the service and you're telling the truth, there should be nothing there." If you're thinking of replying with that, don't bother. All it took was her screenshot without even going into detail for her lawyer to try and jump all over me in court and slander my name. Either you need to remove my information from your listings, change your "gimmick", or print up a notarized statement of the true report that shows nothing so that I may clear my name in court.

What you have done is, by definition, libel and is a criminal act in itself. It has interfered with me seeing my children and that's one line you do NOT cross with me! Remove my name, clear my name, and/or change your "gimmick". This is your only warning or you'll be hearing from MY attorney. And if I have to pay for your service to clear my name you WILL reimburse it, with interest, for hardship and defamation.

Hi Charli,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Member Services

Original review: May 23, 2017

I had canceled originally, but after my company gained a lot of use out of it, I renewed. I've compared this service to BeenVerified - Instant Checkmate has consistently had more information in general and/or a correct information on people.

Hi Rosita,

Thank you for the positive review and feedback! We're so glad the dates of birth and location information has been helpful to you. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 21, 2017

I'm not sure how people I don't know are linked to me. Otherwise, this is the best people searching tool I have ever used. The accuracy is very good with dates of birth and past residences. This is a good product to check for identity theft is a growing crime. Keep up the good work!

Factual basis uncertain

Hi Yevgeniya,

I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with our site. Our management team is currently looking into this issue. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 10, 2017

I had the worst experience! I just found out I was being billed by Instant Checkmate for years! Good news first: they returned me 12 months worth of payments they withdrew from my bank account, but only after I threatened to have them investigated. Bad news: There is still approx. $1,100 of my money that they kept, customer service never replied to my email, operator asked for my phone number telling me someone will get back to me and no one did! Operator was not able to provide me with my contract.

They claim that I signed up for membership back in 2013 and ever since then they were billing my bank for over $29/month, each month, even though I did not authorize this, didn't use their services or member benefits. They were sending the bills to my spam email so that way I wouldn't see them. Operator told me I will receive an email confirming my cancellation but the email never came. I have never had to deal with this before. This is the very first company that screwed me like that and won't own up to it.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We apologize for any errors you may have come across in your reports. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to provide further assistance.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: May 3, 2017

It looks as if I have multiple Premium Reports for the same person. Am I being charged for each? In the last few months a bunch of errors have begun showing up in reports that were all correct up until the last time you "appear to have updated" your system. What's going on? Don't you test changes before you put them into the system?

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent experience with Instant Checkmate. We do provide date of death when possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 30, 2017

You recently removed all information relating to persons being dead or alive, after I indicated to your Customer Service people that it was one of the main reasons I carried the expense of continuous membership. Unless you change back, I will be terminating my membership in the very near future.

Hi Brent,

We apologize that the information was not as in depth as you were expecting. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 22, 2017

There just didn't seem to be any in depth info. Nothing with a current address... or at least something that looked like a credible/reliable current address. No record of when the phones and emails were active. No records of divorce/marriages, court records were not nearly complete. No records of child support. Info on adult children missing. Just not worth paying more than $10 at most.

Hi Angel,

We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the information found in your reports. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate or up to date. We apologize and will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Overall great, but your profiles need to be updated. They do not have the most up-to-date information, plus they keep referring back to old information (i.e. addresses, at the top left side, phone numbers, etc.) and it has been deleting aliases that are currently used that are verified. Some criminal records do not show up in the paid Premium Reports, nor does some of the assets. I hope by me doing this some of these issues are fixed/updated. Thanks.

Hi Ricky,

We're really sorry to hear some of your son's information has been mixed into your report. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: April 20, 2017

A lot of my son's information has been merged into my info. This problem needs to be addressed by checking birth dates and Social Security Numbers, and Addresses. My son has a HVAC License and has lived in Athens, Ga most of his life. He was born ** in Riverside, CA while I was a member of the US Air Force.

The information I got wasn't dissatisfying, but I did expect a little more for the monthly fee... plus $19.99 per premium report? That one caught me by surprise but thought I'd try it once to see what I got. Nothing life changing, actually not much additional information. Not everyone is going to have dirt pulled on them... and a lot of the dirt was accessible from other sites. I was OK with getting through the first month and then cancelling, even after paying the extra $19.99 premium fee, but what ticked me off was I ended up with another premium charge. There is a pop up that asks you if you're ready for the premium, and I admit it was a little late, but for $20 a pop I think it should take you through more of a check out process, rather than just hitting one button.

Hi Raymond,

We’re sorry to hear you didn’t find what you wanted. While our data providers are always updating their information, some state and local governments do not release their records to the public, which creates gaps in our data. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. A manager from our member care team will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 17, 2017

I have found that I can not get any information on some Persons!!! Which is VERY DISAPPOINTING TO ME!!! And a lot of Information is not up to Date!!! Like Phone Numbers and Addresses... It also said that I myself have 34 criminal charges which is very WRONG!!! And has my daddy has 8 and he has NONE PERIOD!!!

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We'll bring that issue up with our developers. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to us if you ever have a question or need help with our website. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 14, 2017

Usually helpful. It would be beneficial if you could indicate the last time a phone number was verified as you indicate the last time an address was used. It is infuriating that your drop-down messages that have check boxes for "Do not show this again" are completely ignored. If you plan to ignore the check boxes, then don't include them on the drop-downs. It just makes Checkmate look inefficient or insensitive to your customers.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Hi Carol,

We’re sorry that you weren’t happy with our service, but glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. Our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985. Thank you for your feedback!

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 7, 2017

This was not at all helpful, there was no useful additional information that wasn't available elsewhere for free - don't waste your money on the upgrade. This information is not even up to date as I found other addresses elsewhere that weren't even listed in the upgrade.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Hi Melissa,

Original review: April 6, 2017

First of all they tell you you can search for free on the web and then when you go on their site. You sit there and wait sometimes 20 minutes for them to retrieve all the information then once they tell you they have your background check on the person then it proceeds to direct you to a payment page when it says it's for free. It should be for free. I think that that's false advertisement.

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your honest feedback, and we apologize for your frustrating experience. There is a checkbox on these popups that you can click that says "Don't show this again." If you have any questions regarding the foregoing, please do not hesitate to contact Customer Support at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Too many dropdowns. Right in the middle of every search, down comes the ad to buy the premium report. I like your product and the ease of use but I will change if the annoying dropdowns persist. Once every 10 times would be ok. Please!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Hi Lamesha,

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 5, 2017

I signed up to do a background check on myself and this service did not provide any useful information. To add insult to injury I was just charged again for this ** service. I regret having signed up but I will be canceling this subscription as soon I finish this review.

Hi Angel,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive feedback! We're so happy to hear that our service is helping you and your girlfriend find lost relatives. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: April 3, 2017

I was looking for my girlfriend's biological father. I had limited information and the information I entered seemed to pop up the most accurate results in all the searches we have done in the last 2 years. I am happy with it. The information is presented in an organized and easy to understand manner. It also makes it easy to connect the dots when researching lost relatives. I have found my own lost relatives by other means and wish I use Checkmate sooner. Hopefully everything pans out well for my girlfriend. No one should go their entire lives without knowing the other half of their genetics.

Instant Checkmate Company Profile