1.7(3,771)

About Instant Checkmate

Instant Checkmate is one of the leading public records search tools on the internet, providing instant access to millions of documents. Instant Checkmate’s information is generated by searching public records that include federal, state, and county databases and compiling them all into one report. Users can look up addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles, driving records, arrest records and more. Just enter a name and state to start your search.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Unlimited reports with subscription
  • Detailed reports
  • Easy to use
  • Use 30 data points for reports
Cons
  • Not a traditional background check
  • Subscriptions automatically renew

Featured Reviews

Verified
Vancouver, WA

Checkmate does what it advertises - reveals otherwise difficult to obtain information about individuals. We found it useful recently when a home inspector gave misleading informat...

Verified
Los Angeles, CA

I have never felt so unsafe in my life with scammers who claim to be one and they are not. Instant Checkmate helped me tremendously to remove those who are not legitimate and are ...

ConsumerAffairs operates independent of Instant Checkmate and does not offer background check services. Per the Instant Checkmate terms, you may not use this service or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require Federal Credit Reporting Act compliance. Instant Checkmate does not provide consumer reports and is not a consumer reporting agency.

What is Instant Checkmate?

Instant Checkmate lets you look up a person’s information by typing in their name, age and location in the search console. Instant Checkmate asks you questions about the person as it searches databases to narrow results down to the right match.

Once you have a match, you purchase a membership subscription to access the report. A subscription gives you access to unlimited reports for as long as you are enrolled.

You can look up the following information and more using Instant Checkmate:

• Phone numbers
  • Arrest records
  • Census data
  • Social media profiles
  • Bankruptcy history

Strict guidelines dictate how and why you can use a public records search service. Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency, and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prohibits using Instant Checkmate to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Before using Instant Checkmate, make sure you review the guidelines of what you can and can’t do with the information found on its site.

Instant Checkmate cost

Instant Checkmate offers two subscription plans. Both plans give you access to unlimited reports. The company bills one-month subscriptions every 30 days and three-month subscriptions every 90 days.

PlanPrice per month
One-month$35.12
Three-month$28.09 (Billed at $84.28 every three months)
Reverse phone lookup$5.99

Membership subscriptions automatically renew every 30 or 90 days unless you cancel before the start of the next payment period. You can cancel your membership through your online account or by phone.

Instant Checkmate FAQ

Is Instant Checkmate safe?

Yes, Instant Checkmate is safe. The company has a verified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate and uses 128-bit encryption. Instant Checkmate also runs malware checks with Norton Antivirus software daily.

Does Instant Checkmate notify the person you’re searching?

No, Instant Checkmate does not notify any search subjects.

Is Instant Checkmate legal?

Yes, it is legal to use Instant Checkmate, but it is illegal to use the service to look up any information governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), including screening someone for employment, a lease or credit eligibility. Make sure you follow the search guidelines when using Instant Checkmate.

Is Instant Checkmate free to use?

No, Instant Checkmate is not free. You must sign up for a membership. Memberships start at $35.12 a month and give you access to unlimited reports.

Is Instant Checkmate worth the price?

Yes, if you need the company’s service, it is worth the price. Even though the information on Instant Checkmate comes from public records, you would have to search through each individual federal, state and county database to find the information. Instant Checkmate compiles it all into one easy-to-read report, and all subscriptions include unlimited reports.

Is Instant Checkmate legit?

Instant Checkmate saves you time searching through numerous government databases to find the information you need. Sometimes people aren’t who they say or keep things from you that they don’t want you to know. Using Instant Checkmate helps you verify someone’s identity before meeting them in person or going into business with them, which protects you in the long run. Instant Checkmate is not a substitute for a traditional background check, however.

Stars Rating

• 16%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 9%
  • 76%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?
    Refunds & PayoutsStaff

Reviewed June 10, 2024

All the information that Checkmate gave me is useless, you don't give me any information about the person I asked for, and you give me a lot of information about people with a similar name. This way I want to cancel my account with you and I want my money back.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. If this issue has not been resolved, please reach out to our dedicated Customer Care Team at (800) 222-8985 or email us at support@instantcheckmate.com so they can better assist you. Thank you

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 31, 2024

I chose a 1 month subscription but the fine print said automatic renewal every month. Total Ripoff. Not very thorough info either. I hate when companies do that. Totally misleading and unethical. Don't waste your money. Not worth it.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. If you feel that you have been charged in error, please call us at (800) 222-8985, or email us at support@instantcheckmate.com, so we can make this right.

Customer ServiceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed May 30, 2024

Instant Checkmate. Did not provide ANY INFO AT ALL. WILL NOT REFUND. DON’T USE. Do not even read my emails, do not use. Did not help me find my daughter! Waste of money. Do not use. They will NOT REFUND.

Pinned

We are constantly working on and updating our records and we appreciate you taking the time to give us constructive feedback. We apologize you were unhappy with some of the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We hope to continue to improve our services to make them better for you and future customers. Please feel free to contact our dedicated Customer Care Team at (800) 222-8985, or email us at support@instantcheckmate.com, and we will try to make this right.

Resolution In Progress
      Verified purchase
      Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 20, 2024

The best people finder website hands down! Customer service is A+ and their searches are phenomenal! I will never use another search app! Best prices without a doubt. I've used almost every one of these sites and every one of them has horrible customer service, they will take your money and not stop doing it, and getting ahold of them is impossible. And not to mention their searches pull up minimal amounts of data. Instant Checkmate is definitely worth the money invested. If you're looking for someone from the past or doing background checks, I would recommend this over and over!

Pinned

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your experience using Instant Checkmate, and we look forward to continuing to assist you in the future. Thank you, Instant Checkmate Support

Sales & MarketingOnline & App

Reviewed May 16, 2024

Save your money! This website is a scam. After finding really interesting information for free on familysearch.com I was curious about my grandfathers' military records and Instant Checkmate advertised having them. The site spends about 10 minutes pretending to download information which is silly given the internet speed in 2024. Not only did they not have them, they did not have 25% of the information that was available for free on the other site. Only had one grandfather's last address and death date, the other one only his death date.

Pinned

Hello, we apologize you were unhappy with some of the information in our reports. Since we rely on third-party data sources, we can only display the information that we were provided, which could potentially include incomplete or inaccurate data. We hope to continue to improve our services to make them better for you and future customers. Thank you

Customer Service

Reviewed May 9, 2024

It is impossible to unsubscribe. For over a year I have only been met with automated emails from bots that tell me my account is not found and therefore they cannot cancel it. So every month I get a new charge, each time I reach out to the customer service desk I get the same message from a bot saying they are going to solve my issue. I wish I had never signed up.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. If you feel that you have been charged in error, please call us at (855) 921-3711, or email us at help@truthfinder.com, so we can investigate and rectify the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you would like to see our pricing page, please visit https://www.truthfinder.com/pricing/

Verified purchase
      Customer Service

Reviewed April 29, 2024

It was great at first and I loved it. Then I started only getting part of the reports saying error loading. That seemed to have gotten better for a day. Then I was suddenly locked out of my account in the middle of something. It says to call customer service to get back in. I called and couldn't get anyone. I have sent 2 emails requesting to cancel and requesting a refund since I couldn't even use it a full week when I paid for a month. I have got no response. I am very disappointed in my whole experience.

Pinned

Diana - Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. If you feel that you have been charged in error, please call us at (800) 222-8985, or email us at support@instantcheckmate.com, so we can investigate and rectify the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 14, 2024

Hello, my name is Wendy ** and I’ve been very unhappy with Instant check mate. I have tried to cancel my subscription multiple times and multiple months. My account has been locked as well. I have canceled online and I am still being charged. I’ve been charged for four months straight. I’ve been trying to cancel it. I’ve talked to many representatives and they have all said they have canceled it, however I’m still being charged every time I keep getting charged I keep reporting it but they say they can do nothing besides they cancel it for the future. I get the same robotic response every time.

Pinned

Wendy - Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your feedback. If you feel that you have been charged in error, please call us at (800) 222-8985, or email us at support@instantcheckmate.com, so we can investigate and rectify the issue as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed March 8, 2024

Alright, I was simply signing up for Instant Checkmate again after only 10 years as I had the first time in 2013. Now moving forward, I only did that so I check on the people that I know and see how they're doing.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing this review Myra and for choosing Instant Checkmate!

Refunds & Payouts

Reviewed March 7, 2024

This company are a bunch of thieves! Do not trust this company. They are just after your money! They refuse to refund me my money! Keep making up excuses! Stay far far away from this company! Worst experience!

Pinned

We’re sorry that you were unhappy with our billing system. Instant Checkmate provides all of the billing details to its users before they sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at any time in our Terms of Use. If you have any questions regarding our billing system, please contact the Customer Support team at 1-800-222-8985.

Sincerely,