Instant Checkmate Visit Website
  2. Background Check Companies
Accredited Partner

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.18/5

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
View More View More
Instant Checkmate Visit Website

Instant Checkmate Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 3, 2020

I was asked to complete this survey after my last call to IC. I’ve had to call several times with various questions. Each time I’ve been greeted with very courteous and professional people. They always answer my questions to my satisfaction. Although the last time I called I was unable to get a conclusive answer, we came to the mutual conclusion that the subject of the search must have been removed from public records for some reason. The subject’s name did not appear under a people, phone, or email search. His name did not appear as a relative to his brother, father, or wife. I found his name as relative to his mother, but got an error message (attached) when I tried to view report.

I called IC for help and explained the situation. The person I spoke with was using a different browser, so to rule out the browser as being an issue, he wanted to try to view the report himself. However, when he pulled up the mother’s report, the subject’s name no longer appeared in the names of the relatives. The subject’s father had just told him he was going to find his address by looking at a background check service. Myself and your representative came to the conclusion that the father must’ve removed his (subject’s) name from public records. I give your representative kudos for spending the time with me on the issue. Great service from your people.

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I was searching for a friend of mine to reconnect with. Your service gave me enough information to assist me with my search. The person I was looking for had contacts that were all dead ends. I did find a link to one of her sisters and pulled her information. I was able to contact her sister who informed me that my dear friend died in 2016. Even though it was not the outcome that I wanted, I now can go through the grieving process and get closure. Thank you for all of your help.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Thought all was lost trying to find real owner of RV I purchased in early Nov. 2019. Was given a old non valid title and no other info from guy I bought it from disappeared and person he had gotten invalid title wouldn't cooperate either. Was able to obtain name of valid title holder. Then with the help of Instant Checkmate I got more information than friends at a large police dept. could even come close to. They were amazed when I told them how much info I got. Social Media, all related phone #'s, Spouses, criminal backgrounds, way more than I expected. Got everything resolved and taken care of. Will highly recommend this service. Their phone help is superb!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

A friend of mine gave me some information on a gentleman I have been dating for over a year. It was not complete so I decided to look into his background for my self. Instant Checkmate did a thorough job and the information I received was just what I needed to be able to make an informed decision about this person that I was getting serious about. Even the cancellation process was easy and the sweet lady that assisted me was great. With employees like this fine young lady your company will do great. I will highly recommend your service to my friends who utilize Facebook and other chat rooms. Thank you for all your assistance.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Dear Checkmate, Thank you for the recent phone conversation I had with one of your reps; Mary Ann. I used your service in May and I just got a notification in my email that $34.78 had been charged to my Pay Pal account. Mary Ann explained that the original agreement was to call within 30 days to cancel my May registration. I had not remembered to do that. So, she canceled my checkmate account and made a refund to Paypal. I am not use to seeing this type of service. No hassle, no accusing remarks, insults, time delay. Wow! You are a great organisation in my mind. Regardless that I am canceling my membership. We need more honest, reputable companies like you to actually put the customer first in the world. I give you 5 stars plus. With deep gratitude, John.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: March 29, 2020

I am not necessarily answering these surveys in the order received. This is the 3rd one so I ask that you review the two previous surveys. The Customer Service Agents were very good and it was great that they were able to work from home and provide excellent service. Refer for good customer service: Yes! Having to call Customer Service: No.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I just needed to review one contact. No additional needs. The information I sought was readily available. Some of the information was not necessarily correct, but there were statements stating this might be the case. There may be additional needs in the future, but not at this time. I will re-evaluate my needs at a future date.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I wanted to try out this service. I wanted to see how it works, so I did a background search on myself. It is a bait and switch. It came up saying criminal record found. I have no criminal record. I continued to work through it to see what else it says. Then it said possible criminal record found, key word "possible". In the end it took 15 mins to run through everything and then came up to a credit card screen. It makes up stuff in order to get you to purchase the report....

Instant Checkmate response

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. Instant Checkmate compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. While we wish we could provide this information for free, it costs us money to access records from our data sources and to maintain our website and app. Our billing details are prominently displayed before a customer decides to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at any time in our Terms of Use.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: March 20, 2020

Yesterday I decide to try your instantcheckmate.com 5-day Trial*. "Includes UNLIMITED Reports. Your 5-day $1 Trial Will Last Until 3/24/20! During your trial you’ll have access to UNLIMITED Background Reports. If you would like to cancel before the trial ends, you may do so for any reason and you will not be charged again. Simply call 1-800-222-8985."

OPENED ACCOUNT 2:30 PM 3/19/2020. CANCELLED 2:55 PM 3/19/2020. Address’s wrong, phone numbers wrong, NO employment History, no pics, licenses not correct. Did a check on known friends and their info was nowhere close. I can find more info on a Google search, myself. Sent email to support@instantcheckmate.com asking for cancellation confirmation number. As of yet I have no reply and no idea if my account has been canceled. “Our number one goal at Instant Checkmate is customer satisfaction. If you wish to cancel your membership, feel free to call one of our excellent member care staff at 1-800-222-8985.” Doesn’t appear to be the case.

Hi Michael,

We’re sorry about the recent delays in our email response times and our customer support lines. In response to COVID-19, we’re currently working with our communities, government officials, and local entities to take care of the well-being of our associates and our customers. This has caused longer response times between our customer support team and our customers, and we’re doing all that we can to lessen this delay.

For more information and updates in regards to COVID-19 and our response times, please visit this page:

Again, we greatly appreciate your patience with us during this time. Please do not hesitate to contact our customer service department at (800) 222-8985 with any further questions or concerns. We are available to assist you during regular business hours, Mon-Sun 5am - 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 11, 2020

I discovered that Instant Checkmate has billing our credit card since 2018. An account was created using my husband’s email and they claim we only did background checks on ourselves. Why a person would open up an account and do background checks on themselves is suspect to me. I’ve called customer service and they assure me my account is closed. I’ve canceled my credit card so they can’t have any more money. They have promised to issue me a 12 month refund despite the fact that they scammed me for longer than that. They say 12 month refund is their max. I only got that after being told that 3 and 6 months is the max.

I’m extremely upset. I’ve upset a couple of their representatives and I’m sure they’ve flagged me as nuts. I’ve contacted their legal department. I can’t get any written proof of my refund or account cancellation even though they claim to have emailed it. No it’s not in my junk folder. I want a full refund and I will not stop until I get it. I’m sure this company offers some kind of service but they also take people‘s money to whom they have offered nothing at all. Disgraceful.

Instant Checkmate response
    We apologize for any confusion you experienced in regards to our billing system. All customers must check a box authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described prior to signing up. Our Billing Terms and Terms of Use conspicuously state the customer will be charged a recurring membership until they cancel. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate expert review by Ben Mannes

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Instant Checkmate Company Information