Call toll free
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our USA-based member care team is available 24/7 to assist you with any questions or concerns.

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest people search engines in the world. Our online service gives consumers the power to access millions of federal, state, and local public records right from their computers. Members can get unrestricted access to its database and perform unlimited searches to learn more about the people in their lives. The data included in our reports may include criminal history, sex offender registration, known addresses, and more. This information can help you investigate the background of online dates, neighbors, social media connections, or anyone else you’re curious about. Members who wish to dig even deeper can upgrade to a premium report to access information that isn’t available in our standard reports.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (6)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

3243 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I’m trying long time to remove my name from that site but they don’t give me that option. They are violating my privacy by publishing some bunch of lies regarding my background. They are located in San Diego, CA.

Hi Joanna,

The information contained in Instant Checkmate reports are records from local, state, federal, and independent sources that are publicly available to anyone. As a courtesy, we provide the option for anyone to opt out of Instant Checkmate. We make it quick and convenient to opt yourself out of our website. Just visit https://www.instantcheckmate.com/opt-out/ or you always have the option to contact our Member Care team who is available 24/7 to assist you.

Member Care Services

Instant Checkmate

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Sometimes other programs pass me over to Checkmate and there's no way to log in when it goes through what seems like hours of searching. It would be nice if when it got to the screen to pay for the item, you'd also have an option to log in if you have an account. I've also noticed the information is not that accurate. I searched on someone I knew and it was saying they were born with their married name vs maiden name. One would think with all the information out there that Checkmate could pull up accurate info about who a person married and what HS they attended, etc.

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding our services. Please know that you can always log into your account by going to www.instantcheckmate.com/dashboard/login/ or by clicking on Login on our homepage. We highly recommend bookmarking the page so it's quick and convenient to login.

We also hear your concerns about some of the data in our reports. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. If you have any additional questions or concerns in the future, our US-based member care team is standing by 24/7 to provide assistance. We can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Member Care Services

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I searched for a specific individual and his information never appeared. I called the 800 number to ask why they tout all these results and I was told they guarantee nothing. The statement was "we do not guarantee 100% results". I ask why I didn't even get 1% results and the smart ass on the phone said, "Well, that's less than 100% isn't it". A real ripoff for information you could likely find without these jerks.

Hi Bruce,

We're sorry to hear you were unable to find the results you were expecting. While we do have millions of reports, we are limited to what our data providers give us and there exists the possibility that the individual opted out his report. We also want to apologize that you were unable to get your issue resolved when you called our Member Care team. We will look into your call and follow up with the member care representative to make sure that we do a better job of explaining our service. A manager will contact you privately to resolve this issue.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After doing a checkmate on three individuals I found the information provided was incomplete and omitted know court judgments. Even when indicating a criminal or court record no information on the record is provided without paying another $19.99 which is not identified as additional cost when you first join. Don't waste your money on this website!

Hi James,

We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were expecting on the three individuals you searched for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Good so far. Worth the price. Pictures are not actual. I found my cousin on here. Interesting facts about others. My picture was not right but facts were, I enjoy looking other people up. I look forward to looking more people up.

Hi Kay,

Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! We're so happy to hear you enjoy using our service. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This is a good site. I like it so far. I just hope when I go to cancel it it is just as easy as registering and using it. It is kind of amazing how much information there is and that it is so accurate. I would recommend to a friend. I should have checked it out sooner.

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We're so happy to hear you are enjoying our services. If you ever have a question, or need help canceling your subscription, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Undoubtedly the most dishonest, unhelpful, worthless support I've ever experienced. I was repeatedly lied to (the card will be charged tomorrow, the card will be charged in 8 days, the information is correct, the information is incorrect, the supervisor said they will definitely take care of this, I'll talk to the supervisor... the lies go on and on). Just letting you know Gail and Nadine and both of their supervisors are either the laziest, dishonest, nefarious people I've ever talked to on the phone or the company itself is or both. In case you can't tell I don't like to be being lied to and to have something as simple as update billing information become such a major ordeal. I'm glad you want to be told about my experience with Instant Checkmate, I probably wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Hi Gene,

We hate to hear you had such a difficult experience when trying to update your billing information. We will look into your call with Member Care and follow up with the Member Care Representative to make sure that we do a better job of explaining the billing process. We apologize for your frustrations, and we will contact you in order to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Everything was very straightforward. After I spoke to lady at Checkmate her calmness relaxed my hysterics. Not good on computer and shadow wouldn't go away. It was really a terrific way to find out things and I would like to have a way to let you know when I have information as to where they are now. One was a tenant. His girlfriend was nowhere. She said boyfriend is a deadbeat father again. Oh well. Thanks.

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We're so happy to hear we were able to help you use our service. If you ever have any other questions, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Great Service and very big help to make sure you're doing business with ethical and honest professionals. We were also able to Check our OWN records and remove some large inaccuracies. I have been also able to locate former Army and Work associates with whom I have lost touch.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We're so glad to hear you are happy with our service, and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I searched for my junior high school math teacher whom I was curious about, and found all the contact information I wanted. For this search and for Instant Checkmate in general, I rate the service highly for accuracy, and completeness of data including location, phone, email, social media and date of birth, as well as some history of work and such.

Hi Todd,

We're so happy we were able to help you find the information you were looking for. Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate your feedback.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Incorrect home addresses, emails, phone numbers, employment and education. Due to hacking and ID theft, information on this site, and others like it, will not be updated for accuracy. My advice to others looking for TRUE info is to go directly to the source (ex: state websites for court records). Sites such as this are clearly misidentifying people.

Hi Cheryl,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We apologize for any inaccuracies in our reports. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Everything is great! Love it! I like the sequence, the family members, birth dates, deaths tree. I find all pieces of information helpful but would like more information without having to pay more money: Actually, wish I could search the globe. Other than that, I am very satisfied. Thank you.

Hi Dana,

We're so happy to hear you love our service! Thank you for the positive review and high rating. We sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I was able to add more information to my investigations. My investigations require more information to support the case. This site has been able to provide very important part of puzzle to put together my cases. In most part subject's connections, criminal history, financial history tells much more about the person.

Hi Arvin,

We’re so happy to hear that our service is helping you find what you are looking for. Thank you for the positive feedback and high rating! If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have never been more happy with a service in my entire life!! I found exactly all of the information I was looking for on everyone in my life. Thank you for providing such an amazing service at such an affordable price. I will definitely be recommending these services to other people!

Hi Brittany,

Thank you for the positive review! We're so glad to hear you are happy with our service and that you found all the information you were looking for. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Although I'd like more accurate phone contact numbers, criminal backgrounds and obituary info, I have found that you provide OUTSTANDING personal service whenever I have a question or trouble logging on. Your phone staffers are the best... I have called (3) or (4) times and I wish I'd have noted their specific names... But it doesn't matter... They ALL are patient, helpful, honest and understanding (no matter how computer illiterate I am). They seem to give it a sincere personal touch without following some script etc. Specifically, the night-crew has been great... (and I'm NOT the easiest guy to talk to on the phone). BTW: Where can I find the "Color-Code" info?

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your positive feedback and high rating! We're so glad to hear that we are able to help you with your questions and walk you through logging into your account when you call in. We sincerely appreciate your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

They are asking $34.95, but no pricing is given upfront, before you waste 20 minutes while they ask a lot of questions and are constantly "loading" information (which they will give you NONE of unless you pay $34.95). Some fake reviews online, most say it's not good info they provide, and anyway it's super SLOW.

Hi Michelle,

We're sorry that you had a negative experience with our site. Our billing details are prominently displayed before a customer decides to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at anytime in our Terms of Use. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have additional questions or concerns. Our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Thank you! This is a great system and I love the slick, well laid out user interface. Easy to use, comprehensive data results. Only wish that the premium data was based on monthly flat rate fee vs per case. Has social media links that other websites do not have. Also seems to have more data up front after the initial search to help you identify the correct person to click on for a details report.

Hi Michele,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We're so glad to hear you find our service easy to use! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Renewing my membership for 6 mos at $59. I had an expired card when it came time to renew my subscription. I gave a new credit card expiration date and was told it would renew the following Monday. I have talked with several customer service people and no one has been able to program a renewal since about March 2017. Needless to say I am horribly disappointed and also disappointed with the new fee structure. The service itself is excellent. Easy to navigate. Great information.

Hi Jim,

We're so sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Instant Checkmate when trying to update your credit card information on our site. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Information inaccurate. Has people related that are not related. They say they pull from public records. Public does not mean legitimate records. There are no birth or marriage records with matching date of birth or details that could link these people to me.

Hi John,

We're really sorry to hear you didn't find the information you were expecting in our reports. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources, and we are constantly working with our data providers to get the best information possible. However, due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record,” some reports may be incomplete for people living in certain counties or may not be 100% accurate. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I am most pleased with the information you have provided. Your reliability is superior over other companies supposedly offering this type of service. I wish to thank you for your good work in these matters. I will most likely continue to use your company for much needed info when such information is made available. Thanks again.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the kind words! We're so glad to hear you are pleased with our service, and we appreciate you taking the time to leave your positive review.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I pay for the product already although every single time I log in I get harassed to upgrade. Take this whatever it is and select yes and no on constant popups. The only reason I still use it is because I'm too lazy to find something else and cannot figure out how to remove my credit card information and keep getting charged too. Might as well use it until I finally lose my mind. Hopefully you get the point.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We sincerely apologize for your frustrating experience. We want to let you know that this feedback has been passed on to our developers, and they are working on a fix immediately to prevent the constant popup. Again, we apologize for your frustrations, and we will contact you in order to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Someone made four fraudulent charges to my credit card for payments to Instant Checkmate. I suspect the charges were made by an employee that got my number at a seafood restaurant in Aberdeen WA. Instant Checkmate should verify that the person charging online is the owner of the credit card before accepting payment.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

The service used to be great. I would be able to go on and look up things the way I wanted to. Now, even though I have asked at least 20 times for the pop-ups to stop, I have every search interrupted with careless and callous pop-ups that are a complete waste of time. I used to refer people out to the service and I know some have purchased subscriptions. I have stopped referring people to Instant Checkmate because I don't want them to associate me with such an annoying experience. The information is good as long as you're willing to put up with the BS surrounding their incessant pop-up screens.

Hi Mark,

No response received
Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I googled my own name and it led me to this site. Upon reading some of the entries there was 2 with only 40% correct information. This site listed me as being dead not once but twice with 2 very different backgrounds. Some of the information was fact. But I am very much alive and was shocked to learn they had me listed as being dead for the past 28 years.

I then called them only to learn they do not really pay attention to what information goes to which name. Buyer beware. You may or may not be getting the information you pay for. I requested them to remove my information since it was 60% false but I also took screen shots of all four posts about me. If you have given them money I urge you to get a second opinion on information you receive.

Hi Belinda,

We apologize for the incorrect information on your report. ur data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Poorly working location map, not user friendly. Attempted to move the map to better see one of multiple locations found and the map quit working. I used my cursor to move the map and then hit the '+' button to make it larger and it quit working.

Hi A,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're sorry that you experienced issues with the map in our report, and we will bring that up to our development team to look into. We sincerely apologize, and will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Was on the 20 a month plan, then they were charging me over 80 a month without any notice until I started to review my credit card statements. This company should not be in business. When I cancelled the service, they asked me if I would stay if they only charged me 10 a month... What a joke.

Hi James,

We're sorry that you had a negative experience with our site. Our records show you signed up for our 3 month plan. In order to complete the enrollment process, each user is required to check a box to agree to Instant Checkmate's Billing Terms which are prominently displayed on the page and in our Terms of Use. If you have any questions regarding the foregoing, please do not hesitate to contact Customer Support at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I requested to find an individual. That person was dead. They kept sending me messages saying that person was in my town, which was a lie. He had never been to my town and being dead, would never be to my town.

Hi Sandra,

We apologize for any mixups in our information. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, and we will contact you privately to work out a resolution.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This site has been very easy to use, they have great customer service and very fair pricing. It has been a been a very useful tool. I highly recommend them for anyone who wants or needs a service to screen people for any reason.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

The service has been fast, informative and easy to use. It gives a good amount of information. I have never needed to purchase more detail, but feel I could find valuable information if need be. My one complaint is how often they ask you to review your experience.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I purchased a two premium searches. The first one I purchased had the right information on it, however, the information or data on the report I purchased was replaced by a different/wrong one. The name was still right but the information is wrong. I would like to know if I can get my money back or be given the right information that I had purchased to begin with.

Hi Alana,

Thank you for reaching out. We sincerely apologize that you were unhappy with our premium report. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Company Information