3.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our US-based member care team is available to assist you Mon-Sun 5am to 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST).

Instant Checkmate is one of the largest Public Records Search Services in the world. Our service operates by aggregating public records from all over the United States. When you run a new search, public records are pulled from multiple data sources, and this information is then compiled and displayed in a single, easy-to-read report.

Our goal is to help users learn the truth about the people in their lives, and reports may include information such as phone numbers, addresses, contact information, previous arrests, criminal convictions, traffic citations, sex offender status, and much more.

Please note that it is prohibited by law to use Instant Checkmate or the information it provides to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or for any other purpose subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq.

Instant Checkmate Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3353 Instant Checkmate Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Overall I have had a good experience with Instant Checkmate. It has often helped me to locate people from my distant past whom I never thought I would be able to find again. Unfortunately I occasionally find that there is very little information on some people I look up.

Hi Angela,

Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate Support

Get expert buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Tried the "trial version" for a small fee and found that everything accessed was an attempt to get more money for "premium" access (or whatever it was called). So, I made sure I cancelled in time and via instructions. Never heard another word from Instant Checkmate until...six months later. Instant Checkmate ran a nearly $200 "fee" through my credit card. I called them up, and they told me it was for "six monthly service charges". Also, the rep claimed that the business had been billing each month (six charges), so "it has to be the credit card company not debiting your account each month, so it's just now showing up" (of course the transaction was for a single lump sum -- I wasn't that stupid).

These people wouldn't give up even when caught red-handed. "Well, let's settle this way; I'll cut the amount owed in half, so you'll only owe 50% of the bill)." The rep actually tried to get to me to pay HALF of what she knew I didn't owe. I can't think of a worse business to have access to my credit card or banking information. I consider myself lucky that more charges were not applied later.

Hi Ed,

We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced with our billing system. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I was tired of searching the internet for a high school reunion and needed to find old schoolmates. The application finds about 75% of my searches but the information is not vetted and often mixes correct and incorrect data. It does provide related contacts of the target but the system does not distinguish between current and former marriages. It searches every time for sexual predators and there is no way to exclude that metric. Every month I look up 2 to 5 people for various reasons. I wish it were more accurate but from their ads it seems you get what you pay for. They always solicit more in depth searches circa fee.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Your customer service line kept me on hold for 10 mins, so I chose to leave my number for you to call back. You never did. So, why did you triple my membership fee? I was paying $9/month, now you want a whopping $21??!

Hi James,

We appreciate your feedback, and we apologize for any confusion you encountered regarding our membership plans and/or billing policies as well as getting in touch with our customer service team. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have been house hunting for over a year and due to the sellers' market, have branched out to calling people to see if they will sell. This service has allowed me to get an idea of the person I am calling as well as providing contact information. I also do checks on kid's friend's parents for safety. Only 4 stars because I want reverse phone number look up with normal service. Overall, worth having!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instant Checkmate?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We have used CHECKMATE for over a year. This service offers us the opportunity to locate people that are often hiding. It provides friends and relatives and phone numbers of contacts. It also provides email and other social media contact info. We are satisfied with the service and would recommend that anyone interested in locating "lost" people should try this service.

Hi R,

Thank you for your positive review and high rating. We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. If you ever have a question, or need help with our website, our US-based member care team can be reached at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

For the most part I am satisfied with the information provided by Instant Checkmate but I wish it would go further before having to pay for premium information and even when you pay the premium add on it just doesn't go far enough. I'm sure there are probably some legal reasons but it would be nice to have more for less!

Hi Julie,

That's great news! We're so glad to hear that our service is helping you find the information you need. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and high rating, and if you ever have a question or need assistance with your search, our US-based member care team can be reached directly at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I am having the most horrible time trying to opt my information, a lot of it erroneous at that, out of this site. The directions are to search for your name and once you find your profile, simply click remove. Easy enough, right? Not for me! Even though my profile is completely out there for anyone doing a Google search to see on their site, as soon as I type my name to opt it, I get a message that I cannot be found...though my profile still openly shows on their site. I have called their customer service and had to hang up after an hour on hold. An email response never happens either. I am at my wit's end; I need my profile removed from their site. With all of their inaccuracies and personal information, this places me in a dangerous position. I wish someone would help. Someone needs to follow up on this immediately!

Hi D,

We hate to hear you're unhappy with our app. All of the information contained in our reports is part of what is referred to as the "public record." Sometimes, the possibility of false positives exist, where more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records.

It sounds like you were given misinformation regarding how to opt your report out of our system. We will reach out to you privately to resolve this matter.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

The opt-out feature on this website is fake. They never send a confirmation email. Other reviewers have said the same and they've done nothing to fix it. I guess the next step is to write my hyper-libertarian representative in Congress and have him deal with it the hard way.

Hi Jessica,

Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services. We always honor opt out requests but oftentimes our confirmation emails get lost in spam folders. We will reach out to you privately to confirm your opt out.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I subscribed to Instant Checkmate in 2014 to a buy a report for one use. I immediately unsubscribed and recently found out that they have been charging my Paypal account $22.80 every month since then. It was actually my wife's account and she thought it was something else until we recently figured it out. Did not even know what it was. I called them and knowing they were wrong, I was immediately credited back for one-year. I demanded the entire amount and I was told system limitations prevented that. I was directed to write to them at a support email address which I know would get me nowhere. I am very angry and feel completely deceived by this company. I tried to resolve it peacefully with them, but am not satisfied, so I feel others should know about their practices.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Would not let me log in. Kept saying to create a new address. I don’t like things that take up my time when there should be a problem after first phone call but problem was never resolved. Had excellent service first time though.

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate honest feedback — it allows us to do our job better. We apologize that you experienced technical issues with your account, but we want to let you know that we’re committed to making things right. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Ease of use of such a large amount of not just complete but accurate information makes the service fee completely worth every penny. I also appreciate the convenience of features that are stable and built into the user interface efficiently for you to use. Thanks to the ICM team and everybody behind its efficiency.

Hi Sloth,

We’re so happy to hear that our service helped you find what you were looking for. Thank you for the positive review and high rating! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Save your money. Very little information. Constantly wanting you to upgrade to a more expensive package. Canceling as we speak... We need to run a background check for new employees and Checkmate provides us with almost no help. We have gone to a different source.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your feedback. You are reminded to review our Terms of Use and Limited License for Services. Specifically, Instant Checkmate cannot be used for business purposes. Please contact us at 1-800-222-8985 or via support@instantcheckmate.com if you have any questions about your account or the use of Instant Checkmate.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Great resource. A wonderful tool for those you can't find or who doesn't want to be found. Very helpful resource for the occasional heads-up on a certain person that you need to know about. It's been utilized often and leaves people wondering how you got in touch!

Hi Gregory,

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I found it to be very useful in finding old friends and also researching who was spam calling me or missed calls. My only complaint is that to do stronger searches I needed to pay more, the service is great but too expensive to include emails and phone number lookup, they should all be included in the lower price.

Hi James,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I find it frustrating that they say it's free but you have to pay a fee to get the information. Even when you're already a member. What is the monthly charge for if you to provide them a cc # each time you use it.

Hi Jan,

We apologize for any misunderstandings, but we do not claim to be a free service. Instant Checkmate compiles hundreds of millions of available public records from several different data sources. We pay for all of the information we provide. Our billing details are prominently displayed before a customer decides to sign up for our services, and these terms can also be reviewed at anytime in our Terms of Use.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Instant Checkmate provided the information I needed about a man I was dating. It is great to be able to confirm someone is who they say they are. It also allowed me to see what information was available for me and my family. I highly recommend!

Hi Denise,

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I ordered the monthly reverse phone number look up. It took to long getting past the constant up sales to the needed information and less then half the time the information was accurate. I switched to a different service where its quicker since l don't have to constantly say no to the intrusive advertising checkmate does asking if l want to add more services. If l want more services I'll let you know. I shouldn't be forced to click out of the intrusive pop up every few seconds that won't let me continue unless l answer them.

Hi Lisa,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. We apologize that you had a bad experience on our site. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Instant Checkmate makes it look like they offer you a chance to opt out, but they require you to reply to a "confirmation email." They never send this email, so no opt out is possible. Need to fix this Kafkaesque nightmare.

Hi Gina,

Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services and opt out process. We will reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

While I do enjoy using the product, I stopped using your service because you do not accept American Express. If you just pass the cost of the transaction fees to the consumer, we would still use the service.

Hi Lawrence,

We appreciate your feedback and will take that into consideration. We apologize that we do not accept American Express at this time.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I don't care for the endless, useless information regarding the neighbors of related people to the person I'm researching. Not enough current info. It's mostly relatively old data. Some helpful information, a lot of info re: associated persons was inaccurate and based on past addresses. Also, the report is way too long to print not printer friendly at all.

Hi Alisha,

We’re sorry you didn’t find the information you were looking for. We’re always working with our data providers to ensure that the information in our reports is as up-to-date and complete as possible, but sometimes the data just isn’t available to us. A senior member of our member care team will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Truthfinder is good but Instant Checkmate is way better. More information and the timelines are really needed to put it all together. Not to mention that if using Truthfinder there's no way you would receive this much info in your report without paying more and more money.

Hi Carolyn,

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I went online searching for myself and it said that I had a criminal record on my name. Since I don't have charges or a criminal record I was scared that someone stole my identity so to investigate I paid $26 for nothing. You all are thieves and liars. I don't have a criminal record or tickets in my name and you made it look like I did which is why I paid as I was afraid someone stole my identity! I want a refund ASAP!

Hi Ariel

Here at Instant Checkmate, we hold the utmost respect for each individual's privacy, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to our services. Our information is gathered from many public sources including local county courthouses, census bureaus, and other sources of public information. We do not supplement or add to the information we obtain. If you would like to have your background report removed from our site, you can do so. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This company did a good job with my need for a report but then they would not accept my cancellation and went into my bank account and took more money than was authorized. I have tried to reach by phone and email and get cut off or cannot reach anyone.

Hi Cathy.

We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced with our billing system. When a user activates their account, they must provide an electronic signature authorizing Instant Checkmate to charge their card as described, including for the automatic renewal of their membership. A manager from our member care department will contact you privately to help resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Instant Checkmate Support

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Pretty easy to find people. You sometimes need to tweak the results to exclude similar results with other people who share the name. Knowing someone's birth date and/or relatives helps tweak the results. Pretty in depth finds once you have the right person.

Hi Eric,

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

InstantCheckMate.com FALSELY posted that I have a criminal record. I absolutely DO NOT have any kind of criminal or arrest record. They removed my information upon request, but how many people have seen this and how many jobs/contracts did I NOT get because of this? Obviously, they do NOT have accurate information and are still posting it. Their tiny (!) disclaimer that the information cannot be used for employment purposes is ridiculous - who controls that? I am now self-employed - how many people don't use my services because of this false and damaging information? Also, as soon as my information got removed from one of these horrible websites, it appeared on another. My guess is that they either sell the information or that MyLife.com / Truthfinder.com / PublicDataDigger.com are all connected. Please, somebody NEEDS to stop them from hurting people!

Hi Angelika,

We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience on our site. Our data is obtained from public records and various other records sources. We are always working with our data providers to get the best information possible, but as our Disclaimer states, there are some cases in which the information may not be 100% accurate. This is due to variables like clerical errors, slow processing times, and discrepancies between states over what is considered “public record.” There also exists the possibility of false positives, and more than one individual with the same name and basic information may match up with many other records. We also want to assure you that we do not sell the information obtained from these public records to other search sites. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experienced, but are glad to hear that our member care team could help you out. Please feel free to contact us again if you need anything else. We are available to assist you during regular business hours, Mon-Sun 5am - 10pm PST (8am - 1am EST). You can reach us at 1-800-222-8985.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

A year ago I signed up for Instant Checkmate for a 30 day trial period. Since then Been Verified has been deducting my PayPal account and so has People Finders. I only signed up for Instant Checkmate and now I am being charged $75 a month for all 3. I have cancelled them numerous times and they are still fraudulently charging me. I have only used the Instant Checkmate service once and have never heard of the other two companies. It’s a scam and I believe they are selling my information to other companies! I want my money back from all 3 of these scammers for the entire year or I will retain an attorney. These sites are garbage!!

Hi Karyn,

We apologize for your frustrating experience. However, we are not affiliated with Been Verified or People Finders nor would we ever share financial data with these third parties. In regards to your Instant Checkmate account, we will investigate this further and reach out to you privately to work out a resolution.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I was on the phone with a very professional and patient, Diane, who got me back online and answered all my questions. She helped me with my credit card payment. They help me with signing in (log-on) password. I am a happy user! Well done!

Hi David,

We’re happy that our member care team was able to get your payment and login issues resolved. If you need help with anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-800-222-8985.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Despite offering people the ability to opt-out by selecting their information and requesting a confirmation email to be sent to confirm the opt-out process -- no confirmation email is ever sent. I have tried several times to complete the process, tried several emails, and always checked spam folders and yet they refuse to send an email which would allow me to opt out.

Hi Jennifer,

According to our records, your background report was opted out on September 17, 2018 using our opt out tool. We will reach out to you privately to provide you with further assistance.

Instant Checkmate

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

You're doing great -- this is very helpful. One thing I'm sad about: people who have died aren't listed on your site as "dead" with the date of death as much as they used to be. Could you correct that? Sometimes this is the only way to find out if a seldom-talked-to friend is still with us. Thanks!

Hi Marcia,

Thank you for the positive review! We're glad to hear you find our service helpful. We appreciate your feedback, and while we provide the date of death when we are able, we may receive slightly different information based on the data provider being used. We are continuously working with our data providers to get our customers the best information possible. Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Instant Checkmate expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Instant Checkmate searches public records to provide information about DUIs, arrests, driving convictions, sex offenses and other criminal records. Their services cannot be used for employment screening, including household workers or tenant screening. They also cannot be used to assess professional services or determine qualifications for education-related financial assistance, credit or insurance eligibility.

• Comprehensive checks: Instant Checkmate checks over 30 data points, which means they offer a wide range of information about the person under investigation.

• Unlimited checks for a low fee: Instant Checkmate offers customers unlimited checks and reports for a low monthly fee.

• U.S.-based customer service: Instant Checkmate offers high-quality customer service to clients, via the Internet and the phone. The customer service representatives are all based in the United States, so they have a firm grasp of language and culture and can communicate easily.

• Utilized by reputable clients: Reputable and trustworthy clients use Instant Checkmate.

• Three membership plans: Instant Checkmate offers three membership levels, so customers can choose how much they want to spend and how often they want to utilize the site.

• Important Disclaimer: Unlike many background check web-based businesses, Instant Checkmate is not a consumer reporting agency and does not furnish consumer reports as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). This means that it is unlawful for consumers to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides for (a) evaluating a person for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention (including employment of babysitters, nannies, cleaning personnel, gardeners or other contractors); (b) establishing a person's eligibility for personal credit, loans, insurance or assessing risks associated with existing consumer credit obligations; (c) evaluating a person in connection with leasing, renting or sale of a house, apartment or other dwelling; (d) evaluating a person for educational opportunities, scholarships or fellowships; or (e) any other purpose subject to FCRA. Any such use is strictly prohibited by Instant Checkmate and is strictly prohibited by federal law. Instant Checkmate further prohibits use of its site and the information it provides by businesses or other organizations. As a condition to use Instant Checkmate and the information it provides, a subscriber must expressly agree to these terms and must expressly agree that he or she is acting solely in his or her personal capacity for exclusively personal (i.e., non-business related) purposes.

• Best for: parents, concerned citizens and people utilizing online dating sites.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs