1.09/5
  • 1 star
Based on 543 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

1132 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

DON'T buy anything from Groupon! They have merchants shipping from China with defective goods and it is IMPOSSIBLE to contact Groupon NOR the merchant to return the goods! Then you find yourself out of pocket because of the scam! Groupon has changed many of their policy, DON'T WASTE your money on them!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

30 min after its purchase, I returned a voucher I didn't think would be active by the time I was going to need it (24hr waiting period). Groupon 'refunded' it, but all they did was take the voucher from me, change its status to 'refunded' and never refunded the money. I contacted customer service a week later when I notice the charge was never applied back to my card and they told me: "All sales were final and that I can let someone else use the voucher" even though they already took back the voucher and listed it as 'refunded'.

After explaining what happened for the SECOND TIME, they told me: "That they cannot refund it because it's past their 3 day period and I will have to reach out to the business itself." After explaining to them again for a THIRD TIME that they already took back the voucher, listed it as refunded, and didn't pay me the money, they told me: Nothing.... they ignored my response email with screenshot of my account showing that the voucher was listed as 'refunded' and how it's no longer available for me to use. So here I sit with no voucher to 'give to a friend or family' or the money for the voucher that they took back. The level of incompetency in their system and in their customer service makes me wonder how a company like this has survived this long. If I could give them less than one star I would.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I have purchased multiple items from Groupon. Over the years their customer service has been exceptional. However, I recently purchased four bracelets from Groupon for the company NovaDab. First of all, the process was cumbersome. In order to redeem the voucher, I had to log onto Novadab's website. The website did not line up with the order. I ordered four bracelets for one price. It took longer than 10 days for the order to be shipped to me. When it arrived, there was only one bracelet. I contacted both Groupon and Novadab. Groupon did not respond. Several emails later Novadab basically said that the fine print allowed them to send the items one at a time and charge shipping for each bracelet. The entire order was a ripoff!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

On 11/28/2017 I made a purchase from their site using Apple Pay as the payment option. Within a few minutes I got an email stating the order hadn't gone through without much more information. I was going to go back to the site to re-order, but decided it wasn't that important. (see attached.) At 3 am the next morning 11/29/2017 I got a second email this time telling me that the order had gone through. I also got a notification from Apple Pay that they had charged my card. (see attached)

After waiting two weeks the order never arrived, so I went on the site. While an order showed up under "My Groupons" when I clicked on it, it would go back to the order page. I contacted customer service via email and via Twitter. I sent them images of the credit card transaction showing it was a completed transaction and not a "pending transaction" (after all it had been 15 days, which is longer than pending transaction like this sit on an account). I even gave them the order number and shots of the emails they had sent. They never offered a refund, and simply told me I could try ordering again. I asked if I could speak to someone on the phone, but the only way to do that is to have an order and to request a callback - no way I am placing another order on Groupon again.

This has been going on until tonight when I started tweeting both the @GrouponHelpUS and @Groupon (using the @Groupon seems to get their attention). Still not refund though. They even sent me a return label for something that never got dispatched! I've now disputed the charge with my credit card company who have given me a provisional refund. I have enough emails and Twitter screen grabs to easily prove it's their fault. Never ever again!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Groupon will never give you a refund and will ignore all of your emails. I asked for my order to be cancelled 1 day after my purchase. The allotted time to do so is 3 days. So Groupon, where the hell is my money?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I’ve been trying to get through to customer service for three days now using their website customer support email option. I have requested multiple callbacks to my number with no luck whatsoever. Within the last few weeks it looks like Groupon has done away with their customer service phone help. I do not plan on buying any more Groupons and I would recommend my friends and anyone else reading this not to buy any more coupons because of their complete lack of customer service.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I called to have an address fixed after their app and website glitched and would not let me update it 3 times. They refused to fix the issue and kept saying there was nothing they could do even though the item has yet to ship. I requested to speak with a manager and was met with the same condescending ignorance. This idiot also told me he was the highest ranking supervisor. Of the entire company? Highly doubtful. I am beyond angry and will not be using them again for fear of another screwup.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Toy phone was bought $6.99. It's nothing but junk. If I wanted to buy something like this toy phone I could have gone to a dollar store and purchased it. They say it was 70% off the retail price. There is no way that this toy phone cost more than $ 2.00. This site is a ripoff.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I order from Groupon a lot! Usually 3-4 times a month. Since November, they have gotten awful! I either don’t get what I ordered for almost a month, damaged goods and just today the wrong color of an item! I can’t give men the purple shower speakers. I might have to stop using them. The damaged wallet I can find a place to return! Ugh.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I've used Groupon for years and have found several restaurants that are now favorites of mine. Their customer service on their 800# was always great and would work out problems with you right then and there. In the last year the customer service has gone down the crappier. NO 800# ANYMORE. If you ARE ABLE to get someone on the chat line they are usually snotty, argumentative and will dismiss your problem as your fault so deal with it. Most don't even have a working knowledge of English...either that or they use computer generated responses to your typed message. I'll still probably use Groupon (LivingSocial is now owned by Groupon too) but not as often and NOTHING from the product side.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I bought a $25 gift card to Groupon to purchase bluetooth waterproof speakers. Their site kept rejecting my 911 address. Which I've lived at for 20 years. So I put in the town name of the Postal office that handles rural mail and UPS delivers from believing that the package was being shipped UPS or FedEx. Two weeks later, I get an email from DHL saying my package had been shipped back to sender. All due to the fact the package was shipped Postal not UPS. I do not get mail on the rural route! I spent almost an hour on live chat with Jennie (who does not completely understand English) only to be told to order them again with the same address that caused the package to be returned. I will never purchase anything from Groupon again nor will I recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Groupon seems like such a good deal, until you need help. I purchased an item and could not get the vendor site to work to redeem my coupon, tried to contact the vendor directly with no success, tried to contact Groupon for help, but I cannot reach them. The website takes you in circles but never gets you to anyone for help. I googled their phone number which basically had a message saying you have to go on the website for help. No matter what you do you can't get any help. I will never buy a Groupon again and will speak out against the company every chance I get.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I ordered Monogrammed Kids Beanie Hat for my granddaughters. 5 for $19.99. I went to the vendor's website and the shipping was $32.95. Not paying 52.95 for 5 Beanie knit hats. Products are priced too high for the product received. Stay away! I asked for a refund within 24 hours due to the voucher code would not work. Charging me 19.99 per Kids Beanie Hat... That is ludicrous!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Usually I like Groupon and their deals. Recently I tried to buy tickets to an event on my phone but got notifications it wasn't going through. The next day I call my credit card company and find out I was charged twice for this one event. I tried to get a refund multiple times, exhausting all resources with Groupon. They would not do it, so I ended up calling my credit card company to refute the charge. In my chat with Groupon, "Jeanne" said "the system itself is unable to cancel this for us." Groupon - fix your system!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We were merchants selling in Groupon. They Never paid what they were suppose to pay. Always coming up with excuses, they run supposed promotions & that's their excuse for keeping your money. Stay away from the company. They don't go by the rules.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I want to start by saying- I am a HUGE Groupon fan. I rarely have any issues and have used customer service maybe once to reach out for help about 3 years ago. With keeping that in mind- I was really disappointed by my recent experience. I have been planning affordable ways to keep my niece busy while I babysit her in coming weeks. We picked out activities- however I accidentally purchased same of 2 activities. I didn't realize that until- I was planning my week with her to see what we should do when- which was few days after I have already made purchased.

I looked for 1800 # and couldn't find it. The only thing I could find was e-mail or chat option. I tried chat option 2-3 times different times of the day and there was NO one to assist me. I can't sent an e-mail because the email listed in my account old and idk how reset it. I finally scheduled a call for their customer service rep to call me- when I filled out the form I was told someone will contact me in 30 min. 12 hours later NOTHING. I went on their social media page and tried sending a message through FB; 30 sec later I get a message to try sending them email or try contacting them during business hours. Which at this point I have tried multiple times. This is the worst experience I have ever had. As soon as I get my issue resolved- I will be deleting my account and look for another business where they have a legit customer service department!! #WhatThe**IsWrongWithGroupon.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I've purchased house exterior cleaning service voucher from Groupon. The cleaners won't respond to voucher redemption and I ended up waiting couple of days for them. I've asked Groupon for refund where they refunded in credits. Little did I know that these credit has 1 month expiry date. Moral of the story; don't trust Groupon. Ever.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I received an order I placed on Groupon for a men's jacket and the incorrect color was shipped to me. I contacted customer service via their Live Chat to make them aware of the error and to have the item I ordered shipped to me. Within a 40 minutes chat with Mateusz **, I was told that they would not send me the correct item unless I placed another order for it (thereby placing a double order). My refund would not be given to me until approximately 3 weeks from now once the incorrect item they shipped to me was returned, received and processed. I asked to speak to a supervisor (three times before being transferred), since this was unacceptable to me.

Upon being transferred to the supervisor, Lufti **, I was told to hold for several minutes while a solution is looked into. After holding (all the while taking time out of my workday to remedy their mistake), I was informed of the same exact solution that the representative gave to me with the exception of a measly $5 Groupon bucks on top of that. I explained that it was not an acceptable "solution" seeing as the error lay with Groupon and through no fault of my own. I would not place a double order for an item that I ordered correctly the first time.

The alternative "solution" given to me was to send the item back, to wait for my refund to post, and then place my order once more... but they could not guarantee the inventory. Neither solution would guarantee the correct item that I ordered in my possession in the time I needed it. I requested that the correct item be sent to me without charging me while the return is in transit to their facility. Request was denied. All in all I spent an hour and a half out of my workday to only receive extremely poor customer service and no reasonable solution.

The two options are far from any sort of solution to fix their own error especially from a company that brings in over $3 Billion a year. My company brings in a fraction of that and our customer service will do practically anything necessary to remedy a situation for an unsatisfied customer. Groupon needs to do much better for their customers!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Not sure about this Groupon thing, I am having such a hard time getting ahold of a real person, getting into my account, which they are saying doesn't exist. I have 133.00 bucks in my account with them. This is a joke Groupon! Shame on you!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I bought NFL Silk throw blankets, each listed as 14.97 plus shipping and handling. I was charged 29.99 plus shipping and handling for the actual items. Unprofessional to offer a price and then charge double, should be illegal.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I purchased a Groupon for over $250.00 to go on a shark encounter in Hawaii while we were there on vacation. After we made the booking, the company offering the shark encounter adventure had to cancel our booking due to unsafe weather conditions, i.e. an act of God. When I contacted Groupon for a refund, I was advised to read the fine print and they would not issue a refund. So Groupon is in essence stating that they are entitled to keep $250.00 for a service that could not be provided due to an Act of God. What the hell has our country become? Just do the right thing people! I won't spend another dime with Groupon and I recommend that others avoid them also like the plague. This is just a legalized scam with no accountability or customer service. Just a big money grab. Buyers beware!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I purchased a package of 6 laser lipo treatments from "The Slim Co" through Groupon. To my surprise, the service was provided through an indifferent chiropractor's office. The process was time consuming, improperly administered, humiliating, and generally terrible. I'm surprised that Groupon would form a business relationship with an operation this disappointing and generally shady. My complaints have been met with jargon-filled apologies that have been more offensive than satisfying. Years ago, I got a Groupon for a new restaurant and ended up with a pancake full of human hair--and Groupon only offered me a 50% refund. I should have taken that as a sign to not use the company again. I won't ignore this experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We purchase a Groupon for two nights at the Lake Town Wharf Resort in Panama City Beach, FL and the hidden fees (their words "Fine Print") cost us more than the room through Groupon. The fine print is after the purchase process. Groupon and the Lake Town Wharf Resort know this. What they did is wrong and they will continue to take advantage of the consumer. They continue to use the response, "you should have read the "fine print"! The desk clerk knew immediately why I started to get upset during check in, they have been through this complaint more than once and have the consumer over the barrel since they have driven many miles and are already out almost $200 which the would totally lose if they didn't stay.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Horrible experience and abysmal customer service. I bought something with a voucher wherein I am directed to another site to complete checkout - that site wants to double charge me. No apology from Groupon...nothing. The only thing I can do after wasting 3 hours of my day is get a refund. Great! Thanks for wasting my morning today. Jerks!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I bought a Groupon for a manicure and the salon flat out refused to take it. I was told, "Why don't you just come in and pay cash - we only get 50% off Groupon value" (as if that's my problem). I asked directly if she was refusing to serve me because of the Groupon and she said, "Yes". Calling ahead to other salons listed on Groupon and am finding many others who refuse to accept them. Of course, you can't get a refund, only credit towards another Groupon but what good is that if no one accepts them or the only ones who do have 2 stars. Just deal directly with the company. If they only get 50% of the value of Groupon, mention you saw the Groupon and will pay that amount in cash... Maybe they will honor the discount.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Nov. 16th I ordered a EdP from the Groupon for my birthday. Nov. 22nd in A.M. I checked FedEx tracking for the delivery date, it said on November 24th The package would be delivered to my residence. Then all of a sudden the Groupon app notified me that the package was delivered; yet, no one knocked at my door to give me the package of which I had found out later that the USPS CARRIER just left it at my doorstep where by the time I got the notification it gave someone ample opportunity to steal the item delivered of which I can not get reimbursed ($53.61) for.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I put in a specific delivery address for 3 orders placed on Groupon (my new address). Groupon still shipped to my old address. Since there is no way at all to call Groupon and actually speak to a live person, I typed my issue to a rep online who typed back that all they can do is wait for the products to get sent back and then issue a refund. That is IF the people at my old address even return the items, which I doubt. All I want is for them to stop shipment and send me the items I ordered to the address which I requested them to go. This is their mistake yet I will lose money. I asked to "speak" to a manager and they kept me waiting for a 1/2 hour until I ended the IM session in disgust.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I ordered a solar stake light. The product is a dollar store item, inferior quality, not as presented, plus it does not work as described. 19.00 for something I can buy at a dollar store for a dollar, plus it does not work as described? I contacted Groupon customer service, they said I would hear from them in three days. They did not contact me. I received email with a ticket number at the start of my complaint = ** and to refer to it at my account site. There is no number in the ticket box on my account page. On the sale site for this item it says "this item is not available" leading me to think there is a problem with this seller. I contacted the seller and haven't heard from him either. Groupon is not going to get any more of my money for sure.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I will never use Groupon again. I bought two jawbone trackers the high end ones which neither one would work. Had to send both of them back in less than three days. Then I bought a little toolkit to repair phones which had my address correct everywhere but they sent the product to Idaho. Trying to communicate with Groupon is a joke to bc you can tell it is someone from another country trying to write back. The reps kept closing the case so when I responded it would reopen. Two months later I received my money back in my bank.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Purchased Raiding The Rock Vault VIP Tickets from Groupon live and we went to redeem them at the Hard Rock Casino in Las Vegas and they did not honor the tickets. Box office would not exchange the tickets for general admission, and stated that I had to contact Groupon. I contacted them and Groupon stated that there was nothing they would do to rectify the situation. We had to purchase general admission tickets to see the show, which we traveled from Ohio to see, which was an additional $400 on top of the VIP tickets that was already purchased at $420. I believe that Groupon and The Hard Rock Casino are working in collusion together regarding tickets purchased and not having to accept them or give returns for tickets purchased. I would highly recommend NOT using this service for anything, Groupon is a rip off and steal your money.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

What consumers say

We don’t hear a lot about Groupon at ConsumerAffairs. This generally is a sign that, while there may be occasional problems, there is no single issue, or group of issues, that irk consumers.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information