2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5
Based on 1,828 ratings submitted in the last year

Groupon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: April 13, 2021

SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE. Under any normal circumstances, I would have understood the clause of expiry dates and using them within a timeframe. However, when businesses are closed because of the government due to a global pandemic, for 75% of the duration of timeframe and it is ILLLEGAL to use my Groupon, I have been told that this is irrelevant and they are unable to extend the date or offer anything other than a groupon credit. I work at a restaurant, in which our gift certificates hold an expiry date, but this has been rightfully extended until the individuals are permitted by the government to dine in. I am appalled at Groupon's lack of acknowledgement of incredibly challenging circumstances and disregard for customers. Please, don’t support this business. Support companies who acknowledge the pandemic and its effect on society, not blatantly ignore its prevalence in our lives.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Groupon is a sorry excuse for a company. In January of 2020 I bought tickets to Jurassic Quest. Due to Covid, the event was cancelled. Fast forward to July 2020, I contacted Groupon requesting a refund since the event was cancelled. Since the event wasn’t cancelled through Groupon, they made me take a credit. Now fast forward to April 2021, Groupon deactivated my account due to inactivity and thus took my credit. So they get to decide that I don’t buy enough things from them, deactivate my account, and then take my money they refused to refund in the first place. I am so frustrated.

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I’ve used Groupon before, but I’ve cancelled more purchases than I’ve been able to use. So I stopped using the app. After a couple years... I tried using the app again to purchase a Kayak rental and some lights. Four hours after that purchase, the same card was charged from UPTMSUCCESS. This charge was caught by the credit card fraud department... so they closed my card... yet, later this same day another charge was issued to the same credit card from Groupon. (The credit card company said that is normal... but is it...?? IDK)

This was the first time in three months that I’ve used this credit card and only for that one Groupon charge... and now there are 2 fraudulent charges. I was able to chat with a useless representative who continues to ask for information I already provided... All they had to do was scroll up!!! Geesh!! They were horrible... and somehow because of COVID they do not offer phone assistance...Huh? But email is acceptable... so COVID can go through the phone but not email... That’s new to me!! I’m closing Groupon and rather than waste any more time with Groupon, I’m going through my credit card fraud department. COVID has not stopped them from answering their phones.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Bought two tickets for a legit company that exists in our town, was given to use the code on a website URL provided in my email. Of course the website is down and the only way to use the tickets is redeeming them online...I hop on chat with customer support (because this company is so pathetic they can't afford a phone - or they know how terrible their service is so they avoid phones all together...either way it's beyond pathetic and unprofessional).

Their chat agents just copy and paste scripts into a box and send it to you (again super unprofessional) mostly because their chat agents are in India and their English is terrible. They continue to offer a different Groupon or a refund in "Groupon bucks" AKA not wanting to give me my money back. Luckily I am educated in the US legal system and after informing them that they sold me a fraudulent product in which I could sue their company over they suddenly had no problem refunding me actual US dollars not a credit for a future purchase. This company is beyond pathetic and should really be investigated more often because I am not the first person this has happened to.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Groupon has no customer support, telephone number, email or chat. They have refused to credit me back for a service that could not be done. I bought the Groupon in February 2021. The particular service could not be done.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I bought a Groupon for a car service to get to the airport for about 300 bucks. I immediately was unable to contact that service so after about a week of trying I reached out to groupon. They bounced me around for about a month. The car service was out of business but GROUPON KNOWING THIS KEPT SELLING THIS GROUPON TO OTHERS!! Bad enough they were ripping me off they knowingly were selling bad 300 dollar groupons to other customers!! After a month of asking for a refund they will only give me groupon bucks. I liked groupon about 5 years ago. They are just a rip off swindle site now. Steer clear of these thieves!! "Hi David, Unfortunately, we were unable to get in touch with the merchant. I've just canceled this order and issued a refund in Groupon Bucks to your account."

Original review: March 4, 2021

First time I have used Groupon. I am seeing that the wind surfing lesson package I bought was nothing more than a scam. The instructor kept putting me off until the coupon expired. I did receive a credit for $174 in group-on goods, however I wanted my money back and a credit made to my credit card account. If I went into the instructor's van and took $174 worth of equipment I would be arrested and jailed. However, Groupon and the instructor found a way to steal with contract and legal protections. I'm sure I'm not the only one that had issues with this vendor. Hard to believe that groupon keep allowing this vendor to use their services, guess they must be making money off it! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND GROUPON OR CERTAINLY NOT THIS KITE SURFING INSTRUCTOR TO ANY ONE!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Groupon are a terrible company who add unskilled and uninsured merchants to their website. Having purchased a microblading treatment from Natalief Brows - not only did she perform a terrible job, but assured me when I complained that this would all be put right in the 'top up treatment' paid for in my payment. However, when lockdown was lifted, this unscrupulous merchant demanded an additional £50 to complete the treatment due to covid. This is the only merchant to make such demands in times of covid. Having since contacted Groupon for assistance - they have basically shown no interest. People, take care when buying any treatment via Groupon!!!! They are negligent!!! They show no duty of care.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I purchased a Groupon for highlights and cut and made the appointment. When I arrived at the salon, they were closed. I called the phone number and no answer. I received a call back hours later in the evening and the message was that they had been calling the wrong phone number to confirm and when no response, my appt. was cxd. I have been trying to get in touch with someone from Groupon and it is impossible!! After showing up for my appt., I realized that the salon is being misrepresented. There were signs all over the windows advertising children's diva parties and nothing about adult hair lighting. There are also recent reviews that are terrible....reviews stating hair fried, etc. Obviously I want to trade the Groupon for something else and can't reach anyone at Groupon. The customer service at Groupon doesn't exist. Never again will I purchase anything from a company who does business this way.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I placed an order based on a promotion. They added items I had viewed months ago, to my order and charged me. I immediately tried to change it. It credited one item, but did not ship the other item. After 9 days, not seeing any indication that item was shipped, I tried to cancel. They defaulted in to refund in the form of “Groupon bucks.” I was looking for a refund! All phone calls are no longer answered and directed to website! I think the customer service and quality of products themselves have gone down!

Groupon author review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

by Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information