2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Groupon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have been a long time Groupon Customer but have recently become very dissatisfied with Groupon, especially Groupon goods. I have found their products to be of poor quality and trying to receive any customer service from Groupon regarding issues is nearly impossible. I recently purchased a Oxford universal kayak dolly and it arrived with two defective tires. Groupon refused to take any action or even to provide me the manufactures name in order for me to try to get service through the manufacture.

I located the manufacture information on my own and the manufacturer Oxford also refused to stand behind their product and address the defective product issue, indicating that Groupon selects substandard manufacturers of the products that they sell who are also unwilling to stand behind their products sold through Groupon goods. I would recommend checking Amazon first before buying anything on Groupon, my experience has been good customer service and correcting product issues easily through Amazon. Probably worth paying a little more on Amazon if necessary to know that you can get customer service and support for the product purchased.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I had used Groupon years ago and had great experiences with them. Recently the experience has gone downhill. There is a lot in the fine print you need to be careful of before you purchase. I bought 1 for carpet cleaning and the company never called me back so I could set a carpet cleaning date. I finally called them again and found out they don't service my area without extra fees. I was able to get groupon to trade it in for groupon bucks, which was not ideal since there were no carpet cleaners available on their site to service my area, but better than a loss of funds. I couldn't find anything to purchase for such a large sum of money.

Recently I found another event that I could finally use the groupon bucks for and when I got home after booking it while I was out I found out you had to book in advance, which is not a big deal. When I went online to book a time I found that they didn't have any available slots until after we had to leave the city to return home. The vouchers expire in just a couple months so we unfortunately cannot even get back to Pigeon Forge to try again at a later date. The not reading of the fine print is definitely my error but I would've hoped for a bit more flexibility.

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I bought two Groupons for Raymond's Bowl in Johnsburg, IL. The total came to over $73. It was for a group outing. Ten days later I tried to get a refund, having found out Raymond's has leagues and NO open bowling except later on Saturday evenings (after 8 p.m.) or some on Sundays. That's not mentioned in Groupon's description of the deal. When I did a "chat" with Groupon's "customer service" (you can't call them), they said they're sorry for the inconvenience but their policy is to give me my $73.60 in "Groupon bucks". So I am forced to use Groupon again or lose my money. Their customer service is rude and cut me off three times. Their customer service is also not in the United States. Shame on Groupon. Shame on Raymond's as well for not specifying their extremely limited availability.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I've purchased from Groupon for years and have had many bad experiences but felt the savings and new experiences out weighed the poor customer. Until now. After purchasing a plane/dinner excursion for Dallas (only going to be there four days), I viewed the voucher (a must before knowing how to schedule) and found the company to be booked all the days I'll be in Dallas. Does Groupon care? Nope.

Their asinine policy, "view the voucher - no refund" would make sense if the consumer DIDN'T HAVE TO VIEW THE VOUCHER TO SCHEDULE THE EXCURSION. Customer service response was, "No refund. Can I help you with something else." I feel even just refunding with Groupon Dollars would be a valid response. I wouldn't get my money returned but I would get the opportunity for something else. Instead, completely out of $159. And they think I need help with anything else!! That's a joke and I'll tell every single person I know and write this same review on every social media outlet available.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I bought a waxing treatment through Groupon. Went to use my Groupon and the merchant refused to accept my valid Groupon and told me Groupon would give me a refund. Groupon refuses to give me a refund and will only give me Groupon bucks, which I have stated I did not want many times. I have been dealing with this issue for over two months and they still refuse to give me a refund. All email responses are generic and you can't get in touch with a real person. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

An accidental purchase was made on my Groupon account on Saturday. I immediately reached out to Groupon to correct the issue but found out Monday they are denying the refund. The purchase was for an amusement park in Iowa that expires in January 2021. I live in Florida and don't see any trips to Iowa happening in the near or far future. I've never heard of the park and only found out the location when my daughter googled it. I'm so disappointed because I reached out to them immediately in order to rectify the problem. They are now denying that they will refund me the $45 that is WASTED. We are in a weird time now with COVID and travel and everything. Don't purchase from Groupon, they don't about you or any customer. Due to their inability to help their customer, I've now had to get my bank involved.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Received wrong order. Cust. rep said no worries order new correct one and return original for full refund. Refund policy also said so. Turned out they do not refund to original payment. Only in Groupon money. Tried to discuss several times with chat support afterwards. Every single time chat was abruptly ended half word by chat rep. Very rude customer service and sneaky refund policies. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

My trip to Japan was cancelled by the tour operator due to the Coronavirus. Groupon will not refund my money. You cannot talk to a real person. They will not call you back and chat with customer service is useless. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Horrible experience. The merchants on Groupon are frauds and scammers hiding behind groupon's failing brand. I received a bluetooth transmitter that was defective, emailed the merchant to do the return, they proceeded to then try to bargain with me by offering me a partial refund or sending a different one because of their own "issues". Excuses are not what I want, I wanted a refund. Emails were extremely unprofessional. Contacted Groupon CS and they said since I've been communicating with the merchant over email they weren't going to do anything and that they were "sorry" I had a bad experience. Nothing resolved. Nothing offered for my headache. Just SORRY, that does suck, too bad!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I made the mistake of buying shoes (Adolfo Men's) through a third-party seller (YSY Enterprise) on Groupon. This turned out to be the biggest mistake. I have always considered that exchange and refund was an expected part of the difficult online shopping experience for shoes, and have never had issues with other sellers. Here, I received my shoes on August 21, and then sent a message three days later asking for an exchange. I received no response, even though the seller advertises a 14-day guaranteed return. I sent another message in a few days, this time requesting a complete refund. I still received no response.

The third time, I alerted Groupon, and they guaranteed that the seller would contact me in 48 hours. They never did, and Groupon failed to respond to my fourth message afterwards. I have never come across a business playing 'hide and seek' for a simple exchange request for a different shoe size. Do I have high expectations or is Groupon going down the drain using COVID-19 as an excuse?

Groupon author review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

by Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information