Looking for a deal website?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.55/5
Based on 3,971 ratings submitted in the last year

Groupon Reviews

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I brought an item on Groupon from a third party and I never received it. I could not get in contact with them and had a lot of trouble for over a month. Groupon's customer service refunded me the money and was helpful when the merchant would not respond. Groupon itself is great but the merchants on it should definitely be reviewed before purchasing! Thank god for their customer service though.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I've been using Groupon for many years. I find the deals are always as advertised and I've never been disappointed in my purchases. I let one Groupon lapse past the expiry - but on the Groupon, it stated that the value paid for the Groupon never expired. I tried to redeem it with the vendor and they would not honor it. I reached out to Groupon's Customer Support and I received a response in a reasonable amount of time and they credited me the amount the vendor should have honored. I never hesitate to purchase a Groupon. I've made dozens of purchases, and I've always been pleased!

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hornblower San Diego Harbor Bay cruises are a great value for your money when offered through Groupon. I've taken at least two different ones. They have onboard refreshments, open top deck and below deck enclosed seating areas. The commentary is both informative and entertaining. Being on the water you get the opportunity to see naval bases and ships, boats, the harbor and marine life. I recommend this to everyone of all ages.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I purchased a local deal and when I went to use it the manager gave me a lesser product instead of what I purchased and they just stated "it was from last year", just trying to make an excuse and con me out of what I played for even though I have bought it before and used it with no problem! Well I brought the issue up to group and even though the dishonest company marked it redeemed. Groupon went the extra mile and even offered a trade in effort to make up for something that wasn't even their fault. That was really comforting and out of respect I had to decline as it was not Groupon's fault the local business lacked honesty and integrity.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

They purchased a Groupon for an IPL facial and went to the salon to have a done. It turns out that the IPL facial was actually in at home IPL machine and the woman put a red light mask on my face and walked away for half hour. When she came back a big lines all over my face from the mask that hurt and nothing had been accomplished with the IPL machine that was supposed to. I contacted customer service for a refund. The person that help me out was absolutely amazing. They do not argue with me. They do not question me. They were absolutely amazing and gave me a full refund.

I would have been happy with a store credit. I don’t think I have ever been so satisfied with customer service before I use Groupon for everything and I highly recommend them. They have great customer service but the agent I talk to him particular what is exceptionally great! I was having a pretty rough week and Shyaam made it so much better. It is very hard these days to get someone who understands your frustration and Shyaam handled this situation so professionally. If I have any questions or concerns in the future I will personally request Shyaam! Thank you Shyaam!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

1. There is no number to call.

2. There is no email to email.

3. There is no "online" chat to chat on.

I found this phone # on google = 877-788-7858... And it is a recording that says it has 2 and 3. But it's a LIE. Worst customer support EVA! I need to merge two accounts...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

So I bought a bathing suit, it came too big so I wasn't able to exchange it for a smaller size. Don't waste your money unless you know it's going to fit for sure. Dimensions on the website are all the same for all sizes. The operator couldn't speak English well so she had a really hard time trying to pull my account, she wouldn't transfer me to a manager so she decided to tell me that there was nothing she could do.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I bought a voucher through Groupon this afternoon. I had nothing but trouble with the code they gave me when I tried to redeem it on Photoshop, it kept saying invalid code. I had to contact them twice to find out why and then they gave me some random code that did work. I'm buying off overseas sites in future, you don't seem to have the same trouble with them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I booked tickets for my family and I to visit the Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto Ontario from Groupon.com. I did the research and found that what Groupon was offering was a deal and would save us some money so I booked it. About 20 minutes later I saw on my VISA bill that Groupon charged me in US dollars. As I live in Canada, and was booking a Canadian attraction I was unaware that the so called deal was in US dollars. Even upon purchasing the tickets the currency was not listed beside the price. HOW a company can charge you in a different currency and thus not be forthcoming about the true price of something is an absolute scam.

I called Groupon right away to try to sort it out but they just kept telling me no refunds. I was not trying to refund anything, I was just trying to pay the true price of what I thought I was purchasing. Needless to say their customer service is terrible, and they chose not to make things right. From this so called Groupon deal my family and I actually ended up paying more than 50 dollars extra than what the aquarium cost would have been if we just purchased the tickets there. So please be forewarned. Groupon is an absolute scam. Avoid purchasing anything from this company at all costs or you will truly regret it.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Disappointed that I found something I like in Groupon, and I was not able to log in at first. Contact customer service and they reactivated my account. I log in and was about to make a purchase when I notice my gift cards were gone. I contact service rep and they said that my gift card expire. The customer service rep was not able to help me with that issue. She said that my gift cards expire 10/31/19, because my account was inactive (meaning that I had not made a purchase). I mention to the customer service rep it would be nice for them, to let us customer know. The only thing she said to me was sorry for the inconvenience.

Clearly the gift card said that it never expire. One of my reason for not buying as often as before is because I made some purchase and I received the wrong order. I didn’t make a big deal because the clothes that I bought fit me but they never send the right color. I didn’t want to go thru all the trouble of returning items so I just kept the items. The other purchase I had was with a 65 in tv where I made the purchase and they took about a week or two to let me know that they were not in stock. Saw the deal again and I made purchase on a 65 inch tv and the same thing, not in stock and took about two weeks weeks to let me know.

Other than that I never had a problem with Groupon. I usually add all my gift cards to my profile as I get them. And use them if I see a deal. Good thing I didn’t let them accumulate, usually I let them pile up so I could make a big purchase. Just want to warn customers of Groupon of this problem. I log in every two week to see if I found a deal, so my account was not really inactive. But after a year of not making a purchase they are going to deactivate a account. It would be nice to let customer know, I lost about 35$ but it could of been worse. So I am not that upset, I just don’t think I am going to purchase there no more.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information