1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1502 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Someone hacked my account and ordered $100s of dollars in make up. They changed the name and shipping address. But somehow Groupon let them charge my credit card under my name and current address. When I contacted Groupon they gave me a line about taking security seriously then said they would not refund any of the charges. Told me to call my bank. Such a scam. Closing my account. Recommend DO NOT DO BUSINESS, they will take your money.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I ordered a remote start and it duplicated my purchase. Customer support number says go online. I went online. Cannot find place to chat. When I was doing that somehow it added on 2 more. So from 99 dollars at this point I am up to 400. Also ordered heated seat for 129. The coupon place said they couldn't do it. Now I can't get a hold of Groupon. That is another $ 129 I am out. I will never use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Case was advertised as for an iPhone 6 on the product description and on the shipping document. The box that the case came in said iPhone X. They will not refund the money even though the product is clearly not right for my iPhone 6.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

A few weeks ago I purchased a shower head and phone/watch charging station from Groupon. Last week it arrived, but when I opened the box, it was 2 heated blankets for a car. So the following day I went to their website and started a chat which was pretty bizarre and offered no real resolution. So after trying to sort out with 2 reps and being completely confused as to why there was a breakdown in communication, I just reported it to the BBB.

Since then, I disputed the charges with American Express who came back to me with Groupon's response stating "The received dispute for the transaction dated 11/1/18 is invalid. Please see included documents supporting the cardholder is not due a credit. Additionally, the cardholder reached out to our Customer Service Department about this issue, where they were informed that this purchase was not due a refund due to our stated policies that could be seen clearly at the time of purchase. This dispute is invalid." American Express gladly reopened the dispute as this is not an issue with a return policy, it was items never received. Also, Groupon has since removed the phone/watch charging station from my list of orders.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I used Groupon in October and was not pleased with the experience. However, I believe in giving people a second chance. WRONG!!! I purchased passes for the Philadelphia Insectarium. I found out that one of the floors was closed due to a theft of the insects. I wanted to take my grandson to see the insects but could not. I have tried getting a refund but can't find a way to talk to a rep from Groupon. The pass will expire soon and the insects are still not back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

They are cheating people as I have been their customer for years. As I was sick for a long time and I was not able to use the vouchers and as they were expired and their rules you will never lose money what one has paid. As I was sick for a long time it was not my fault, I did not ask for a refund only just give me Groupon money so that I can use it in near future. They did give me some money but not the full amount. They have refused and this is an exceptional circumstance and it is cheating from their part. I even asked to cancel my membership and give me all the money back but they are not reasonable. I am 82 yrs old. They should consider my situation.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Three weeks ago I bought a Groupon for holiday cards. I wasn't ready to order, so I waited a couple of weeks before getting on the site and redeeming my voucher. I went back to my order confirmation email, and lo and behold, my voucher had mysteriously disappeared from my account. I double-checked my bank account, and yes, I was debited the amount of the Groupon on the date of purchase.

I contacted Groupon through chat originally, and was told that someone had "deactivated" my account for security reasons, so the voucher was no longer there and they had no record of the order. Then the rep changed the story later to say that the account was deactivated because of "inactivity." Ridiculous! Who deletes an account after a couple of weeks of inactivity? Then I was asked to provide the order number, confirmation, date of purchase, proof that I had paid for it, last 4 digits of my card, etc., etc. It went on and on.

I provided them with ALL of it. Then the rep said he had to switch to email. So after 4 sets of emails back and forth, I get another one from a different rep who tells me that the order is too old to get a refund, and that I can use the voucher or give it to someone else. She obviously never even read the transcript of the original chat. I haven't and still can't access the voucher, even though my account is alive and well and I've made purchases since!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

When I purchased the group the salon I purchased services from got great reviews for one stylist. When I called to make an appointment, that stylist was no longer at the salon. I read the most current reviews and the hair salon gets terrible reviews. I asked Groupon for a credit since I didn’t want the salon to mess up my hair, a problem stated in the most recent reviews. In spite of reading the reviews to Groupon customer service rep, she told me I could not get a refund or credit. I will never use Groupon again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Back from a trip, Groupon offering deals on Photobooks. I bought one. BIG MISTAKE! First, an indecent amount of email "offers" begin to hit my account. When I go to use the coupon, I have to log in somewhere to activate, AND the Photobook company won't recognize the coupon. Just TRY and get some help. Groupon is nothing but FAQ's. No possible way to have direct contact. Same with the Photobook company. No direct contact with anyone. I'm just left hanging. Deleted my account, and I would highly suggest the frustration is NOT WORTH the few bucks you might save. Life is short.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had a terrible experience with Groupon. 1st purchase: a coupon for a seafood restaurant. It was apparently obligatory for the clients to call a specific number in order to make the reservation. The woman was rude, impatient and there was ZERO customer service. I'm not sure if this woman worked for Groupon or the restaurant but we have booked a table at the restaurant and will be going on the 21st.

2nd purchase: an iPhone 6s case in white that turned into an iPhone 8 plus case in rose gold. Like how? Tried to see if there was somebody I could speak but as previously mentioned: ZERO customer service. Instead of going through all the trouble of returning the product, I have now decided to sell the case instead. If that doesn't work, I will be giving it away. How is this business still up and running?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We purchased a coupon for massage therapy and used it however; Groupon is not issuing any receipt neither the location we attend issuing invoice. We need that receipt to claim insurance but the massage location doesn't issue since they did not receive complete money we paid. On the other hand Groupon customer service clearly replied our email by refusing issuing receipt for the amount they received from us. Any advice???

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

A getaway was purchased by mistake. It has now been 3 days and I have not been able to get an answer on how to get a refund. This has been a living nightmare. I’ve been told to go to different sites, live chats, support emails, even spoke with someone on Twitter that stopped mid conversation never to return. I’ve been given return emails apologizing for the error that’s it. They have taken my money over $1k and I have nowhere to get help. The item I purchased didn’t show in my account so I couldn’t cancel it there. Be very wary of making any purchases from this company. They have no number to call and no help on the weekends.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Pretty much what everyone else is saying. There is zero customer support. I bought a Groupon at a salon, could never get a hold of the owner, and then the owner redeemed my Groupon. I never even had an appointment. Groupon won't do anything about it. Really terrible experience. Do not even bother.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I purchased a pair of boots on October 2nd from GROUPON!!! They email a phony tracking number to me. When trying to track the boots FedEx site said label generated. They are waiting for merchandise but when I viewed GROUPON site it is saying shipped on the 10th of October. I tried to get in touch with them regarding this matter. No respond. This has been going on from the 17th of October to present. Even this very day I tried reaching out to their customer service. VERY BAD COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH. 0 STAR. I DONT THINK THEY DESERVED 0. THEY BELONG IN THE NEGATIVE RATE.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Item was supposed to be 1500 mg and was actually 25 mg. The entire jar equals 1 normal gummy bear. There doesn't seem to be a contact number or even email for Groupon. Last time I do business with Groupon.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased a massage for my son as a birthday gift via Groupon. The massage therapist had great reviews on Groupon. After purchasing the massage I could never reach the massage therapist. He never answers his phone and does not return calls. After a week of trying to redeem the coupon, I did a web search for this massage therapist and the reviews were horrible. Only on Groupon do you find good reviews for him. I tried contacting Groupon to see if I could get a refund and let them know this guy is a scam artist. Groupon has no customer support. You cannot get in touch with them. I had to just eat the cost of the massage and buy another somewhere else. That was my first and last experience with Groupon.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I purchased a hotel reservation for one night in a hotel and they charged my credit card two times for the same purchase. I tried calling them. It's not possible to reach them via phone. Very bad company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I saw a deal for a micro sd card that read 128 GB. Only to receive a 128 MB SD card instead. WHO in this day and age buys ANYTHING these days in MB when it comes to flash storage?! GET REAL. Seriously such a blatant SCAM.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I planned to go to England so purchased the Stonehenge Premium Tour on their website. By the next day, I COULDN'T log in my Groupon account. I clicked the "forgot password" link, but the system email kept telling me the email address did not exist on the file. This is ABSURD!! I used that account with the exact registered email address to place an order a day ago. Then I reached to the customer service center. They told me since I submitted my problems to Groupon US & Canada team, I could only wait for their reply. Strangely, I could log in on US website, but my order just disappeared. I'm sure I placed an order on UK website, but there is no registered account on UK website. VERY WEIRD. I called Groupon in UK twice, wrote tons of emails and used the live chats. None of it works. So terrible experience.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

If you need customer service, it's non existing. You can't call you can only speak to people who don't speak and/or don't understand English even when they know the language. I bought an expensive item (robot vacuum) and couldn't return it - got stuck with it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I tried to redeem a Groupon in restaurant but they told me they can't find the code. So they charged the entire amount on my credit card. After I went home, I live chat with Groupon support. He confirmed that the Groupon is valid. He offered me two choices: (1) “If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to reach out to the business on your behalf to get this straightened out.” (2) “If you've changed your mind about this deal altogether, you can Trade In for another deal.” I said I want the first choice. He then said it will take up to 72 hours.

I was disappointed. I said it was a unpleasant experience. He then withdrew the first offer, and only offered me the Groupon refund. I paid $20 for a Groupon. But I had to pay $40 for my food. If it were not a Groupon, I will not go to restaurants. He then just hanged up on me. Seems like, I had to beg Groupon to solve the problem they created. I paid upfront for a Groupon and it is invalid. And yet I have to beg them to solve the problem. What a business! File complaint to BBB.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have had a problem last week and today with vouchers, and have had to ''jump through hoops of fire'' to get a resolution on the first problem. It took three days, and not being able to talk to a PERSON made it even harder. Same thing today, just a different issue, and am still waiting for them to correct... their... error. And, have no idea why they even list their phone numbers on their sites... when NO one answers except those ingratiating ''robots." I am highly considering becoming an ex long-time customer, and going with Living Social. I have had enough of Groupon's crap.

Updated on 10/24/2018: I finally got Groupon to cancel the order and reverse the charge. So, I went to LIVINGSOCIAL, and the same test is offered for the same price. When I went to pay for it through PayPal, the transaction completed, and then... it brought me to GROUPON'S site to view/redeem the voucher. OMG... this is beyond insane. Who knew that LivingSocial is Groupon in disguise?? When I called LivingSocial's ''customer service'' number, guess who it went to? That is all the proof I need! I am trying to get this charge reversed, and then I will be reporting Groupon to the BBB.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I bought a Groupon for $99.00 for a restaurant in Houston area. The restaurant closed its doors and went out of business. According to the Groupon's policy, I should be able to get credit for any Groupon that I cannot get in touch with the merchant or redeem my value. However, they do not have an operator to answer my calls and they do not respond to my repeated e-mails. I think they want to cheat me out of my money. Very dishonest company. I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

There was a purchase made on my account and Groupon will not refund it without an item number that I cannot find. Horrible customer service!!! I have never made a purchase through Groupon and I never plan on it after this.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Groupon offers "Groupon Select" which promises further discounts. It costs $4.99 a month but you cannot cancel until you have paid for 6 months. Most offers such as this will give you a free trial period and choice to keep or cancel but this does not. I checked join in my cart thinking I would get the 25% discount and pay for Groupon Select together with my cart during check out.

I was surprised that the second I checked the join box it does not give you the option of unchecking it (What if you hit that button by accident?) I was joined right then. I also only received 10% discount on the item I was going to purchase. I did not buy the item and tried to reach Groupon to cancel their Groupon Select. There is no customer service phone number but I found live chat. They would not cancel my Groupon Select when I only joined within 5 mins of chatting with them tricking me into joining. I wanted to cancel because they did not give the amount of discount promised in writing on their website. I think any website that does not offer customer service by phone is shady. I will now ban groupon because they are difficult to work with and possibly not trustworthy.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I purchased a new car on 9/28/18 and immediately open Groupon to order a blanket to cover my back seat since I have four dogs. The information said the item would be shipped in 2-3 days. I needed the item by 10/24. The money was withdrawn from my bank account right away but I never received the item. When I contacted Groupon by chat, they told me I needed to contact the vendor. I contacted the vendor who originally said that they shipped my item. When I continued on that I had not received my item the vendor again told me my item had been delivered. I informed the vendor that I had not received my item they said that I switched the address for it to be shipped to.

When I told them I had not done that asked for the tracking number they refused to give it saying it was on my Groupon order page (it was not). When I pressed them they sent me the tracking information and name and address of another person in another state. The vendor then said they don’t see an order for me. My Groupon screen shows it was ordered hut never shipped. I don’t know where the problem lies but my guess is the break down is with Groupon. I can’t even find where the chat is now. I have little confidence I will receive the item or a refund. I have to go purchase the blanket as it won’t arrive by the date I need it even IF it gets shipped. I will never use Groupon again. I don’t need the added frustration.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had fraudulent charges someone placed using my debit card. They did not use my Groupon account or my email address but just my debit card. When I tried to get help, I learned there is no phone number you can call. You have to fill out a form and wait for them to call you, which does not work well if you have a lunch break and limited time to wait around for a call. They also have a form or email for email response but when the customer service reps responded, they were basically useless.

I also had fraudulent charges placed with "Door Dash," another business, and Door Dash immediately asked intelligent questions and took my card information, billing address, etc. and submitted it to an investigation team. The Groupon customer service reps acted super friendly but could not assist intelligently after four tries. I would never order anything from Groupon again. The first charge originated with them that I noticed, so I don't trust their website or their business processes to resolve unauthorized charges going forward. HORRIBLE customer service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased two dryer vent cleaning deals (had to with a two story home) and each time I've gone in to redeem my Groupon voucher in "my stuff" it shows "redeemed". And it's not! I've contacted customer service twice already through live chat and email and at first they said there was nothing they could do about it and then I pushed it and they "unredeemed' them. But then two weeks later both times they show up again as "redeemed". Groupon is saying I'm clicking "redeemed" but I'm not! I know how to view a voucher without redeeming it. They're unbelievably frustrating and cheating people out of their money.

It's become such a scam organization now with horrible customer service, when you can actually get through.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I ordered two cases of wine two months ago but never received them. I was told to go to "My Groupon" and replace the order. Tried many times but the "send" button doesn't highlight, so I got nothing. Tried sending email but the same thing happens, can't send. Have been trying to get a refund from PayPal but they say go to Groupon, Merry goes round and round. I will never use Groupon again, no phone and no one to talk to. This is a terrible company. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I am a merchant. Listed with Groupon to bring in new business as a new start company. One year later, a customer called me and I provided service. Four weeks after, I had not been paid by Groupon after I submitted the voucher. Since there is no phone number to contact Groupon, I emailed asking where my money is. Groupon kept emailing back requesting different things from me. I complied, but still have not received payment for service. MERCHANTS BEWARE, YOU WON'T BE PAID.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information