1.12/5

1449 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

"Important message about your Groupon with Commerce Downtown Kitchen. We've had to cancel this deal. If you haven't redeemed your Groupon, visit My Groupons to claim a refund." As noted above, Groupon stated that a refund would be issued for Groupon(s) purchased to this restaurant but when contacted, Groupon refused. They stated that since the Groupon had expired and the establishment is out-of-business, they would not authorize a refund. Their policy clearly states that the value paid for your Groupon NEVER expires. This is misleading and our State(s) legal authorities should review for the good of the public.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I ordered a lunch bag from Groupon but never received the order. It was some time before I realized as ordering it had slipped my mind. I contacted Groupon as soon as I noticed it on my used Groupon list marked as used. The customer service did not help at all. They said a manager would contact me - this never happened. I have spent a lot of money on Groupon and I'm a completely disappointed and feel ripped off. Please be wary if you order goods from them - they may never come and Groupon will mark your Groupon as used and take your money anyway. I will never buy from Groupon again.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Trying to find out how my Groupon bucks were used --- we as consumers cannot access any spend history even though the people in customer service can -- all they tell you is that they were used but don't give any details. This is not transparency for the consumer. Anyone else have the same problem?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

PUBLIC published review 9/20/18. I purchased the Novadab Turk and Caicos Coral Boho Accent Statement Necklace for a Groupon of $4.00. I should have known better because it was listed at a retail value of 44.99. Not on this earth!!! It is so poorly made and the metal is all discolored and not worth 1.00, seriously the quality is a joke. I can't even write a review on Groupon of my purchase to spare others from going through the hassle of buying this with a shipping price of $6.99 for a total cost of 10.99. I can't even speak to a live person, I called the company that sent this junk and they told me to return it, but of course I pay for shipping. So, I will be throwing the necklace away because I am not paying to return it for a 4.00 refund when I can't even contact Groupon. Such a waste of time and a few dollars. Will never use Groupon again.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I've been using GROUPON for years and so decided if they had one for the NYC Beer and Bacon Classic. I was so glad when they did but after looking over the 6 ticket options, I noticed that the original prices they quoted for the festival were way higher, and when you looked at the price they were selling them for, they were the same price as the Beer and Bacon Classic. What would be the point to buy the GROUPON at the same price. Now, I will have to always make sure that when and if I use their service again, I know the original price of the deal vs their price. Now I wonder if I've been paying even more for GROUPONS.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Once more I got screwed over by Groupon. I purchased a $40 certificate to be used at BLOOMS TODAY but they charge GROUPON cert holders an Extra $30-$40 on top of their regular costs! I have proof! If this isn't illegal, it should be. I asked Groupon for my money back and, as usual, they said no. Both companies should seriously reevaluate their policies allowing such fraud. I don't know how I can get my money back. It's not so much about the money as it is the principle. In this case its LACK OF PRINCIPLES. Guess it's time to call the AG and BBB.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

9/14/18 viewed 2 Groupon goods. DID NOT PURCHASE... Charged $100. 2 attempts to get rectified without resolution. 9/18/18 wake up to $59 charge and nothing in acct ordered. 2 overdraft fees as well...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Groupon will email you a coupon code with a link to shop using it. If you do that, you will be forced to sign in to check out. When you sign in, your coupon code will be lost and if you copy it in manually you'll be told it's already been used. You'll spend an hour figuring out that you must start over from the emailed link and create a new account to avoid losing your money.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I moved from Chicago to Colorado with about a half dozen unused Groupons. When I requested they allow me to trade, they declined. When I insisted and threatened to post the truth on Social Media, they sent me an email on a weekday giving me 24 hours to trade them. By the time I opened the email, the deadline had passed. They were worth hundreds of dollars, eyeglasses, massages, etc. I tried to appeal and got a message I am BLOCKED. I will never buy another Groupon.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I purchase a pajama for $7 deal last year and requested a refund due to its size being so big. The agent never asked me if I want it back to my credit card, but issued Groupon Bucks. I didn't even know there is such a thing, Groupon Bucks. A few days after I realized I have $7 reserved bucks in Groupon Bucks. I forgot about it for a while and didn't use it for my next purchase. So, for about a year, I didn't use it. Now, I just realized it has an expiration date that was expired in Feb. I chatted with a customer service representative and all he said is, "I am so sorry for your situation," but nothing he can do. He said the agent handled the refund situation wrong, but he just felt sorry and that's it.

Groupon is collecting free money by issuing refund in Groupon Bucks, not letting customer know there is an expiration date for that money (YOUR MONEY now expires if you don't use it), then letting it expires so that they just get the free money. I asked the agent to help on at least one thing today since he doesn't help on my issue with Groupon Bucks. I asked him to deactivate my account and take my email out from email list because I don't want to use Groupon anymore and don't even want tons of emails from Groupon in my mailbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

For the last three years I have send floral Groupons to my sister, niece, and nephew... I just found out that the Groupon had never been claimed. I called my sister and she said that none of them had received an email with the Groupon… I call Groupon and they said, "Sorry Charlie... your loss." I am 78 years old and this is not right... so I sent gifts, I thought for 3 years costing me 75.00 each year for a total of 225.00 and they never got them. This company is making millions cheating their customers. When I call Groupon they said I had 24 hours time frame to request a refund. What a disgraceful company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My first and last experience with Groupon was very frustrating. The website was confusing and sent me back and forth several times with a very short time deadline that cut me off more than once. Then when I used the voucher at the theater, I was still charged full price! I will not be using Groupon any time soon.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

This is about Groupon and their false advertisement, making up policies on the fly, breaking federal law, not following their original policy as they stated, and reneging on their contract with their customer. I called Groupon recently because I had some old vouchers I wanted to use at a local Greek place. However, when I arrived there, the place had closed down.

In the past, Groupon would issue a refund of the purchase price for the vouchers when a business closed. This was the policy as of even a few months ago in 2017 - and it makes sense as Groupon states all over their site that you can 'still use the value you paid for the Groupon from now until ETERNITY'. However, if the business is closed it makes sense that Groupon will honor the voucher by giving you Group credit. That is what they used to do. FURTHER, this is required by FEDERAL LAW which states that vouchers cannot expire.

So I called Groupon and they stated that no matter what, even with the reasoning above, they would only give me 50% of each voucher. I let them know that this was not right, was against the original contract with the customer, was against their advertisement, and was against federal law (which states that vouchers don't expire--including 50% of the vouchers). I spoke to 3 different reps and a supervisor to make sure that this is what Groupon wanted to do - to betray their customers - and they stated that policy stated that you have to call a year after the Groupon expires for restitution. This is fake and made up non-policy on the fly - and I know this because this was not policy as of just months ago.

Also, how can I contact Groupon about vouchers that are expired when I can still use them at the restaurant - per the contract I have with Groupon?? The place would have to close first before I ask for a refund. So it's a catch-22 policy by Groupon, who seem to not give a ** anymore. I was extremely dissatisfied and surprised at this company, which once prided itself on customer service. People need to know that this is NOT the same company. Making up policy and being dishonest is a bad look and they don't care.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I bought a Groupon for 4 hours of kayaking and didn't read the small print. The merchant didn't honor the Groupon at the time we were in the area (about 3 hours away). They said get a refund and they'd give me a discount. But Groupon said the trip had been bought too long ago and fell back on their "terms and conditions". It cost $35 and that's down the drain. I advise others to be very careful before buying anything from Groupon.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I purchase (2) Groupons for a Hot Air Balloon service. Anyone who knows Hot Air Balloons knows that scheduling a ride can be difficult based on weather, timing, etc. Combined with the fact that the location was 4.5 hours from me, it was difficult to get accommodated. The Groupon Expired, but on the website Groupon says I can use the amount at the company of $125 per Groupon at the company "from now till eternity". What reason do I have to call. I can still use the Groupon, except that the company went out of business and Groupon says since it expired, they will not refund me the "full" amount.

They are keeping $125 of my $250 for the Groupons. NO ifs, ands or buts. So they led me to believe I still had the full value, but in fact I did not. The representative kept telling me I should have contacted them prior to the expiration. I didn't think I needed to since they said the company would still honor it. Buyer beware... Groupon did not do the right thing. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. I feel like Groupon stole $125 from me by misleading me.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I booked 3 reservations to the Caravelle Resort in Myrtle Beach. Each was $207, but Groupon charged me $80 more for each for an "occupancy tax." After we visited the Caravelle, we received the bill, and we were only charged $233. There was no occupancy tax of $80. I requested a $54 refund for each reservation from Groupon, and they refused, revising their original explanation of what the $80 overcharge was for. Instead of "occupancy tax," this time, they said it was for "fees." We were overcharged a total of $162 for the 3 reservations.

I was not issued a refund, so I complained to the Better Business Bureau, and I am leaving my review here as well. I will no longer be using Groupon at all - will cancel my account as a result of this horrible experience. Customer service could not even spell "occupancy tax." They spelled it "ocuppence." It seems like such a scam to me to charge way more than what the actual hotel charged. Groupon is supposed to be a service that offers discounts.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Purchased a Groupon Special for 2-one hour massages for $60. I have been reaching out to the vendor for the past 6 weeks to no avail. They expire this month so I reached out to Groupon for a refund. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I should have read the fine print?! Are you kidding me? Where does it say the vendor can not fulfill the contract and basically steal money from you? What a scam.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Every time I want to buy a Groupon, it doesn't work. They pretend to let me reset my password, except it never works. They know I'm about to buy something I want and get a discount on it, so they prevent me from buying the discount they pretend to offer. Not to mention, back 7 years ago when their site did work, about every third time I would buy a Groupon from them my credit card company would have to send me a new card because someone magically got my account info (never happened when shopping at Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). This company is straight FRAUD and provides VAPORWARE.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Ordered a pet stroller. Expected it within 7-10 days. WAS NEVER SHIPPED. Good response however from Customer Service. I received a refund. Very very disappointed as Groupon does not ensure vendor reliability.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I received the wrong item and tried to find a way to exchange it for the correct item on the site. It took several minutes to realize that wasn't an option. It took several more minutes to find a way to chat with them. Then between each response it took several minutes for them to respond to me to get to where we needed to be. They first offered me a deal I was eligible for instead of taking care of me. The whole process took 30 minutes. This is wayyy too much time to have to spend on a return that was a company mistake.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I had an expired Groupon voucher that a merchant was not honoring. In that case, Groupon should have made the merchant honor it or allowed me to buy the Groupon for the same merchant which was few bucks more for me to pay or could have given me Groupon bucks to buy whatever in future. Not until I decided to dispute with my Credit company, Groupon finally gave me Groupon bucks to be used within 24 hours. Groupon just kept mentioning the policy. Also note that all the regular values are not even close to being true to lure us all. Not ethical.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Beware!!! I was charged twice for a purchase. Their mistake, No fault of mine then to make matters worse they refunded me the money but gave me only 2 weeks to use my own money. I wasn't aware that I only had 2 weeks to use my own money, as a result, I lost my money and they refuse to reinstate it. Two weeks to use credit??? What a rip off and con!!! DO NOT USE GROUPON.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I bought a Groupon and when I go to my account it's all empty. I contacted customer service online but didn't help really because he said he's going to escalate my issue and will contact me ASAP but I didn't get any respond so I distribute the payment. I will never purchase anything online.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I want to say that the customer service here is very unsatisfactorily. Even after emailing, speaking to a rep & supervisor, they kept telling me the same thing, over and over, going in circles, showing no empathy whatsoever! Doesn't even feel like you are talking to real person since they are so robotic and rehearsed in their responses.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Their guitar teacher don't know acoustic guitar. He tried to fake it off thinking that he was teaching acoustic guitar when he had a electric guitar when he was teaching my daughter, and we look online for those chords he was teaching and they were all wrong. We tried to get our money back from Groupon. They would not refund the classes we didn't even use. Be careful of Groupon as well, they have bad customer service who get back to you 48 hours later.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I purchased a Shutterfly photo book. Suddenly I am unable to log in. Many password resets didn't help. No customer support on "live chat". On my phone application (purchased from the same phone couple days earlier) shows no Shutterfly purchase, but when I checked my account sure enough they charged me for it. Just wasted almost an hour and still got nowhere. Can log in on my phone, can't on computer.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Be very careful when purchasing a Groupon. Read all Groupon’s return policies and the merchant you are purchasing a voucher for fine print also. I purchased a driving training voucher for an adult. When I went to redeem it the merchant said it’s for a teenager and Groupon refused to refund or give me credit. For the most part this is a scam. They will not even give you credit towards a different voucher when you cannot use the one you purchased due to the fine print and you not meeting the qualifications such as age etc. I will never ever do business with Groupon again.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Yesterday morning I purchased 2 adult tickets and 2 children tickets for the San Diego Wild Animal Park. When I was purchasing the adult tickets and pressed "Buy" the Groupon website told me there was an error. So I went and double checked the credit card info and made sure it was all correct. I then pressed "Buy" again. That one went through. But now I see that I was charged TWICE for both purchases when I only need 2 adult tickets (not 4). I would have never made it go through again if your website did not tell me there was an error.

Groupon is refusing to refund my money for the transaction that did not go through on my end. They said it was placed on "hold". How is the consumer supposed to know it was placed on "hold". Horrible customer service. I talked to live chat, a customer service rep and a supervisor. I will never be using Groupon again. A shame because I have had good experiences in the past but stealing my money is not OK.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I am a new mom, so I spend a lot of time searching for the best baby product deals out there. I've been a Groupon customer for 7 years now but have mostly purchased local deals. I have been looking through Groupon goods a lot lately and I am ASTONISHED by what I have uncovered. I recently saw a BabyBjorn Bouncer for $299. It said on the product listing $679.99 which was crossed out and then selling for $299. It specifically states that it is a 41% discount. I did a quick search on several other websites including Amazon, Target and Buy Buy Baby and no one has this product selling for more than $219. I contacted Groupon customer service and their response to me was that they can't control what their merchants list their items for.

Here's the thing: I don't have a problem with them selling this product at a price that is higher than market value. That is their right. I have a problem with Groupon posing as some sort of deal page and allowing their sellers to put a fake original price number in it to make it appear as if the buyer is receiving a heavy discount. That is extremely misleading! Another example, a box of Pampers wipes... 448 count. "Original price" is $50.95 with a cross through it and the sale price is $14.95. A "71% discount" IN WHAT WORLD ARE 448 PAMPERS WIPES $51?! I am absolutely disgusted.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information