Groupon

Compare Deal Websites

Research top Deal Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Groupon double charged me. I called Groupon on 3/3/2017 and gave my Credit Card and personal information, they verified and told me that they will refund my money shortly. And their game began, they send an email stating that they are working hard to resolve the issue, and they send few emails after few days expecting us to ignore it. When I responded, they started asking again Credit Card and other personal information via email.

I work in IT, there is no way an application can double charge, Development team can tweak in application to double charge randomly, have anyone noticed other way around. Purchasing groupon without charging. Some people might have asked for refund, including me. I am so frustrated still I did not get my refund, many might not have noticed. Some law firm should come forward to find out how much money Groupon has double charged customers and not refunded, hope it should be a big amount. I am going to call my credit card company to file fraudulent transaction and I am going to close my Groupon account.

Horrific experience! I ordered several products. They charged my credit card $100 and never received anything... they brush you off to everyone else and at the end I had to dispute the charges with my credit card company who also sad. "Groupon has by far the worst customer service known." I will never recommend them to any clients or friends ever!

On 3/1/2017 I purchased a $35 Groupon for a 1-hour Thai massage from Saba Thai Massage. I called and made an appointment for 3/15. I showed up early as I was excited to try this new type of massage. I waited 20 minutes and nobody showed up. I called and was told they did not have me down for an appointment. The lady did not try to rectify the problem either for later that day or any other day. So I contacted Groupon, told them my tale of woe, and was told no refunds after 3 days of purchase.

When I replied that I did my part but the provider did absolutely nothing on their part and that I shouldn't be penalized, I was told this issue would be elevated to a higher authority. What a lie that was. I got exactly the same refusal... "it's our policy..." When I wrote back that I did not wish to do business with Sabai and that for customer satisfaction I am requesting a refund, I got the same response. So, bottom line, Sabai and Groupon took my money and did not provide any service at all, through absolutely no fault of my own. Groupon prefers to stick to policy rather than stick to customer service. I will never use Groupon again.

I purchased Crab & Claw Carrollton Groupon on March 20th. It is in another city which 20 miles from me, but since it looks nice so I and my friend drive there excited around 1:00. First disappointed when we get there we found restaurant is closed, the service notice showing only open Monday to Friday from 4:00pm to 11:00pm. I don't remember on groupon has that mentioned. Since we are in another city, so I decide to go some shopping first and wait until they open. After 3 hours waiting I came back the restaurant, one customer already in the restaurant, but to my surprise I stand at the reception desk for while nobody greeting me. I have to find a table by myself, but after sit there 10 minutes, still nobody provide service.

There is a waitress come out serve the other customer, then go back her seat watch her cellphone. I called her loud. She looked at my direction, but quickly back to her cellphone again. I have to walk all the way to her seat, ask if she can give me a menu. She is little unhappy because my complaining. When I tell her I am going to use groupon voucher, she turn her face into mean, "you have to be 2 or 3 persons then you can use the coupon." I said "please be considerate. I already been here twice, and I came from another city, would you please just let me use the coupon get some food to eat, I don't even have lunch yet." She answer coldly "I have to ask Manager". After 1 minute she come back to me still with cold face, "no you can't use it, you have to be 2 persons."

After I step out restaurant mad I called groupon right away, want to check the policy why they don't allow 1 person to use the coupon. The customer service of Groupon double checked the terms and tell me there is no registration saying one customer is not allowed. The gentlemen from Groupon suggest I give the phone to general manager to communicate, so I go back to restaurant give the phone to the GM of Crab & Claw, while keep me stand there for another 10 minutes. The GM very tough and rude talk with the Groupon customer service, he keep on asking in his Korean tone English why I have to follow Groupon rules? Which make me really funny, after I stand there so long I lose my patience, I asked him give me back phone, there is no meaning I wait there for his mercy. He don't even being polite. How can I expect to give a good service. The Groupon customer service even so mad, he told me the General Manager of Crab & Claw is so rude, he never met anybody like him.

I was shocked with my experience, traveled 40 miles, spend 5 hours but get the service like that? Groupon looks has very weak control on those restaurants. When the problem happen, Groupon can't protect their customers. The restaurant just use Groupon to get the customer they want, but they can refuse to anyone if they feel not that profit. I feel so disappointed.

If I can, I won't even give them one star. I placed an order on Feb 23rd. The order supposed to be delivered on Mar 13th WHICH I NEVER RECEIVED. I even contacted the merchant Mar 12th. They did not give me an answer. So I had a live chat with the GROUPON consumer services THREE times. All they did was ask me to wait. AND I waited for A WEEK already. They did not give me respond either. I asked them for a refund, and they said it's a third party sale, they will not issues refund for me. Don't they check the merchant before they post the good information? I found that I am not the only case. I am so disappointed, and will NEVER use GROUPON AGAIN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

NEVER purchase a vacation with Groupon. They provided me with an invalid voucher number and I am now having issues with my vacation. The voucher number was valid when I went to book the vacation, but 3 days later, after I have booked tours, transportation, etc., the voucher has become invalid and I am left with nonrefundable tours and with no vacation. I have been trying to contact customer service for 2 days now and no one has been helpful. They keep stating that their supervisors are in a meeting, which has now lasted more than 5 hours, and will be giving me a call back. Still have not received a call back. Overall, horrible customer service and horrible experience. I have always purchased with Groupon but after this experience, I will not be using Groupon again!

I paid for a 3-day stay at Hooters Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas that I purchased from Groupon. I couldn't use the Groupon because my flight was cancelled due to poor weather conditions. Groupon refused to refund my money saying that they cannot bend the 3-day cancellation rule for unexpected circumstances. In order for me to have a place to stay I would have to reserve a room. Not only that, Groupon has a 24-hr customer call back rule. It's been 3 days since I requested to speak to a Supervisor and haven't gotten a call back yet. I would never use Groupon again.

I purchased an Anastasia Beverly Hills Highlight kit as well as Too Faced "peach palette" beginning of February. When I received the highlight kit I knew the product was a fake. As soon as I swatched it I realized what poor quality the item was. I Immediately contacted the seller (Groupon store m&h stores). They refuse to give my money back and claim their product is legit just a manufacture reject. I have made a complaint with FDA to look into this company selling fake product as well as emailed ABH corporate office. DO NOT buy from this company. They are fraud. As for the second item (peach palette Too Faced) still has not arrived. According to Groupon and m&h store the item was suppose to arrive 3/6/17 but when I track the item has not even shipped! I will do anything to get my money back and to make sure this company is investigated for selling fraudulent items.

I purchased a voucher for Canvas Prints. When I started to redeem the vouchers I discovered that the resolution of my pictures were not adequate enough to obtain a quality canvas. Since I didn't print my voucher I was able to trade in my voucher. I was originally led to believe that I could use the credit for any item, but I only had 24 hours to complete the purchase or I would lose the credit. That policy alone is really petty and only benefits Groupon. Since I didn't have the time, I opted to come back once I figured out what I wanted. I then requested my vouchers to be traded for credit. Once traded and my 24 hour time frame started, I was told I could only use the credit on local deals.

Well, this is really petty on Groupon's behalf. Limiting to local deals, most of which I have no interest or need for, and then only giving me 24 hours to find something to utilize my credit on. This whole experience has cost me $150 more than I was wanting to spend on something I was looking for, but if I didn't buy it through Groupon, I would have lost $86. I have no desire to use Groupon again.

Groupon supports vendors who use Groupon to scam people. Vendors allow customers to purchase Groupons, it causes them to be overbooked and the vendor doesn't care because they get their money. Groupon doesn't care either. They don't care if the vendor provides good customer service or anything.

I PURCHASED A HAIRCUT, CONDITION, HIGHLIGHT GROUPON FOR SAMANTHA ROBINSON HAIR STUDIO in Westwood. I contacted her right away and she texted me back she was busy doing hair at the Golden Globes and would call me the next day. She did not call, nor text, or answer any of my calls or texts. I called for weeks and no response. I told Groupon x2 that there was an issue with this merchant not honoring the Groupon. Groupon stated that they had a 3 day policy so I only had 3 days to ask for a refund.

They did not care that the business was not honoring this Groupon and they were both keeping my money!! Unfortunately, I had bought a 2nd Groupon for a 30 day aesthetic treatment, and when I called they said that their Los Angeles office was closed, but their Long Beach was open. The deal I bought had a LOS ANGELES address. I have no intention of driving 40 or 50 miles to Long Beach for 30 days! Again, Groupon quoted their 3 day refund policy and didn't care about the customer!

I purchased a BJs membership at full price which claimed to be at 60% off!! A membership which was $125 was available for $50 + $20 BJs gift card & coupons... which sounded too good to be true. Since original price was $100+... I hoped it to be membership which earns 2% back on most BJs in-Club and online purchases. But it wasn't. It was a regular personal membership which actually costs $50 only (detail below). So basically I bought a $50 membership on 60% discount and paid $50 for the membership. So angry right now! BJs only have two memberships: (found out after I already paid for the deal) Personal Membership $50/yr, BJs Perks Rewards Membership $100/yr.

Bought a Groupon for an oil change from Jiffy Lube. When I tried to redeem it, I was told that they did not carry my oil filter at any location. This means that it is physically impossible to redeem the Groupon. I contacted Groupon and was told there was no way they would refund money. They maintained this even after I informed them that Jiffy Lube was unable to honor it.

The WORST customer service I have ever received. I purchased a Groupon for a tour in Vegas about 3 months out. Before purchasing it, we made sure that we were able to book the dates with the tour company for the weekend we were going. All was fine until a few days before the trip when the company stopped answering calls and responding to emails. Finally, we heard back from a girlfriend of an employee that said they were shutting down until further notice. We immediately contacted Groupon to get a refund and submitted all of the unanswered emails to the company. Along with the notice from the girlfriend that they were shutting down. The girlfriend even said to get a refund because they were unable to accommodate us.

I have spoken with Groupon representatives over the phone 3 times, have had countless emails and have even tried Groupon chat. The only response I get is "unfortunately this is nonrefundable". Even though it is 100% out of our control that this company has shut down. Mind you, I live in Florida and was traveling to Vegas for this. It was planned months in advance. I have never experienced such a lack of customer service... and common sense! BEWARE OF GROUPON!!! DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICES!

Paid $112 for Groupon for 3 massages. Received one massage. Therapist didn't show up to 2nd appointment & did not respond to texts/phone calls to reschedule. Contacted Groupon. Requested refund of full amount (since I had already spent a lot of time dealing with the issue, I felt I owed nothing). Groupon said they would make the last 2 appointments happen & would contact me within 3 business days. Then the massage therapist would contact me within 3 business days after that. I received no contact whatsoever.

After 9 days, I contacted Groupon again. After spending a great deal of time navigating their phone menus & time on hold waiting for the customer service rep multiple times, I was offered a partial refund by way of "Groupon Bucks". After this horrible customer service experience, I have no interest in utilizing Groupon again. However, it would appear I will be forced to in order to get any value at all from my original purchase (not to mention I was only refunded half of what I paid).

I purchased a voucher from Groupon. However when I went to use this voucher, the company 'photobookshop' say it is invalid. I have been in touch with both Groupon and Photobook Shop for almost 2 weeks but neither have been able to solve this problem. The Company are Australia based so it is difficult to contact them. I have now gone to Groupon to try and help me deal with the company or give me a refund. They are very unhelpful on the matter and say I cannot have a refund. And that I should just keep contacting the company directly. I feel as though Groupon were happy to sell me their deal but now that there is a problem with it, they want to wash their hands of it. It is very bad customer service and support and I am hugely disappointed with them.

Do not buy a vacation with Groupon. I bought an expensive vacation in December for travel in July just to be told in March that my vacation is cancelled because the resort had hurricane damage from October. I don't know why they are selling vacations at a resort that has hurricane damage. Then they were going to charge me a cancellation fee when I didn't cancel. It is taking a long time to get my refund and my vacation is ruined. Now that 3 months have gone by the air fare is much more expensive.

I bought Groupon for 3 facials. I did not notice the fine print that said 1 per customer. I had been getting facials for about a year from Sadhana. The lady at Sadhana name would not take my Groupon. Groupon refused to give me a refund since it had been more than 72 hours of purchase. When I told Sadhana she said she would call Groupon and they told her sometimes they make exceptions. So I called Groupon and they told me that I could get a refund and they would have management send me an email within 24 hours. Well, after 2 weeks, I called Groupon and they said that never happened and that I could not get a refund. I won't be buying anymore Groupons. Horrible customer service!

My honey purchased my engagement ring on Groupon. 1.38 carat ring priced $1,299 plus tax. Received a cloudy piece of junk. I left a professional upsetting review and it was rejected. I also noted why there were no other reviews on the ring... Once it was denied-I called Groupon who gave me the run around. I spoke with a supervisor Kevin, who stated "you can state your review with me, unfortunately-It will not get on the site". Then what's the point and why wouldn't you let the public know that Bliss Diamond is a fraud dealing selling rings that are not the real carat? I'm truly surprised at Groupon-I've shopped on their site with pride for years. :(

I was browsing their site via my phone app. I turned my phone off while on their app and 2 Groupons were purchased without my knowledge. Since it's been past 3 days from the purchase Groupon is refusing to refund their system error purchase. Do not browse the site while on your phone!

I got a $30 Groupon for a massage. The massage company would only communicate via email. No calls, no website, only emails. I sent 6 emails to them trying to set up an appointment. On one occasion I got a response that they had an opening in 30 minutes! I work 45 minutes away. I called them and they refused to make an appointment that way referring me again to email. During this time I emailed Groupon and they asked me to try one more time. I tried twice. Finally I realized that the Groupon has just expired the previous day. I wrote Groupon that said "Too bad, the Groupon was expired". I explained the whole situation as I have here but too bad for me as they do not refund expired Groupons. Screwpon would be a better name. Stay away from Groupon!

Purchased Fresno Bee Subscription. Bee did not deliver and their customer service says they will escalate claim but could not fix the problem. Groupon refuses to refund because my claim is more than three days after purchase. Since delivery was to start in one to two weeks I would like to know how I could file a claim within three days of purchase! I also notice that all of the products purchased through Groupon are subpar.

One of my daughters purchased myself and her sister a Groupon coupon for a 60-minute Swedish massage for our Christmas presents. After trying several times to book an appointment online I called the location of All About U. I left a message about the date and times we would like to come. Later that day someone did call me back to tell me that since it was a Groupon we could not come at the same time. I asked why, she said because they offered them at such a low price they sold a lot of them. They only hired one contractor for the Groupon massages. She stated there was no way that we could have massages at the same times-that these were not group massage packages. I said do what? She said the first available reservation wasn't until April 11, 2017. The coupon expires April 23, 2017.

Today is March 7, 2017. I informed her this should be notated on Groupon and on their website. I stated this would have been my first massage and it is definitely the last massage. Please when purchasing massages for anyone please let them know that they cannot have two appointment for the same time. I informed her it was not my problem that they sold so many at such a cheap price that was their fault. I want to make sure everyone knows that these people are NOT all about u, it's all about them. Do NOT purchase from them.

I ordered two items that were never delivered, when I tried to contact Customer Service and inquire about my order, and asked for a refund, they came up with every excuse in the book. If it is too good to be true it probably isn't!

Purchased a $175 voucher for eyebrow services. Vendor will not return text calls or emails. Made appointment 3 weeks ago, she will not confirm with me now. Vendor damage someone eyebrows 2 weeks ago. Groupon will not allow me to use the voucher to purchase service with another one of their vendors told me I cannot use it that I have to assign this to another person?

If you value your money, don't buy things from Groupon. My experience - I purchased a Groupon and it said that it can be redeemed in another state. They would not give me a refund so basically I bought something that I cannot use. Why wouldn't they give me a refund? Because it passed the 3-day grace. Who runs a business like this? You make one mistake and it's sorry you're out of luck. That's the answer that I got. BUYER BEWARE.

I bought and tried to use a 31.00 for a Groupon coupon that was completely not endorsed and honored by the vendor. I complained. I was refunded the 31.00 credit to my Groupon. Then months later, mysteriously, I was recharged the 31.00, but no coupon was offered. I have repeatedly attempted to call, chat box, email, even contact Groupon exec's on Linked.com, but to no avail. I've received absolutely ZERO response to my issue, AND I NEVER WAS OFFERED ANY EXPLANATION. When Groupon started it was good for a few years, but seriously, now, WE NEED A CLASS ACTION SUIT. WTF?!?! It's more than scam. IT'S PURE THEFT. NOTHING LESS.

I purchased an unlocked iPhone from Groupon. I was not planning to use it for several weeks. When I attempted to use it there seemed to be a problem with the connection. After contacting T-Mobile, I was informed that the phone was jail broken and not usable. The Groupon representative said it was past the return date and no refund would be issued. By the way, he was quite rude. I sent an email to the customer service department and they never responded. The fact that I was notifying Groupon a few days beyond their refund policy allowed, should have been irrelevant since the iPhone they sent was no good from the start. DON'T TRUST GROUPON!

Groupon sold a deal from Blue Apron that I found out later Blue Apron gives all new customers. Groupon refused to give me a refund. They would only give me Groupon "Bucks" but because it was such a horrible experience, I will never use Groupon again. A waste of $40.

I purchased a Lash Extension Groupon & paid extra for a fill-in. The salon was great but I ended up with an allergic reaction on my lids and the salon could not give a refund for the 2nd fill-in. They directed me back to Groupon of which they denied a refund.

Expert Review

Erin HuffstetlerDeal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.    More about Erin→

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

What consumers say

We don’t hear a lot about Groupon at ConsumerAffairs. This generally is a sign that, while there may be occasional problems, there is no single issue, or group of issues, that irk consumers.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.
  • Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.
  • Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.
  • Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.
  • Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.
  • Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).
  • Best for Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses