3.8/5 (708 ratings)

About Groupon

Groupon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

GROUPON HAS BECOME A HUGE CORPORATE SCAM. I checked out 3 courses on Groupon and was going to purchase. A notification came up to enter the code MISSYOU and 99% would be taken off the price. I did this and paid through Paypal but the circle of dread kept going round and round and as far as I know is still going. Then I tried updating my credit card and went to put through the order. Suddenly the screen changed and it was applying a 20% discount! It changed all the discount codes to 20% instead of the 99%. I tried to take out my credit card, but it didn't show up in my account. I'm sure they still have the number as they accepted it and suddenly it too disappeared. I did take a screenshot of the Paypal order still processing at 99%. You can no longer contact a human by phone.

Like all big corporations who see people as nothing more than cash cattle, Groupon execs hide from all aspects of their show from the customer now. They use speech algorithms and bots called "Live Chat" or hire one or two poor souls who can barely comprehend English and keep jumping off to 50 other calls. I also took screenshots of this disgusting waste of time. It accomplished nothing but the whole scam lost me an hour and a half of my precious time. I don't think the rep could have even been a real person, although it pretended to be. My advice is run fast and run far from this creepy scam outfit. PLUS I'm going to have to check my credit card for fraudulent charges now every month, since I have no idea where they've stored it to remove it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Ordered Oct 11, did not receive until Nov 2 after writing to Groupon numerous times. They sent the wrong color so tried reaching out again to them {maybe 5th time} with no response. Not quite sure what is going on with Groupon but in the past ordered numerious times but there customer service has gone way downhill. The customer service number does not work it hangs up on you and when you try reaching out by e-mail they just ignore you. Will NEVER EVER order from them again and would like to warn others. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Booked when buying meal voucher to find restaurant hadn't been open for weeks according to bar in same building. Many emails to Groupon. They refuse to take down ad. Voucher is marked as used as vendor tell groupon they are open when they are not. Groupon keep taking people's money and refuse refunds when unable to redeem.

Resolution response: Sept. 10, 2022

After several email exchanges with Groupon they refunded my purchase.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

BEWARE... If you have a credit card associated with your Groupon account you may inadvertently BUY a product you're still reviewing. I was searching for a sightseeing cruise. I had several windows opened on my computer and hit the buy button in error. I was suddenly greeted with "purchase complete" and "all sales are final". I immediately contacted Groupon within 2 minutes and they will not cancel my order. I now have a voucher I paid $183 for that I will never use.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

BEWARE... If you have a credit card associated with your Groupon account you may inadvertently BUY a product you're still reviewing. I was searching for a service while visiting Chicago. I was reviewing, thinking I was getting additional information when I was suddenly greeted with "purchase complete" and "all sales are final". Ultimately they kept my money for a service I would never use. My credit card company was unable to stop payment but reimbursed me as a courtesy. I removed my credit card from their system and do not plan to do business with them again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Just go to Costco. Nothing was smooth about it and I never got the promotion promised. Was supposed to be a gift and it wasn't. I had to transfer it to the recipient. Was supposed to be a 40$ digital gift card emailed and was mailed a $33 gift card.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I bought a Groupon certificate on July 3, 2022 for $192.50. I have tried repeatedly to make an appointment with the merchant by calling (the calls go to voicemail) and by texting. (The texts were not viewed.) I have contacted Groupon support. After persisting, I was able to chat with a rep who asked me if I wanted another Groupon certificate or if I wanted the service I bought originally (20 units of Botox.) I said I wanted the Botox. The rep stated that she would contact the merchant and was supposed to get back to me. She never got back to me. Out of curiosity, I checked out how Groupon is doing on the stock market. It is tanking badly. It appears to my schooled eyes that they are nearing bankruptcy. Look for yourself. **

Original review: July 31, 2022

Second time I have purchased from Groupon and second time it didn't end well, would have thought I would have learnt the first time. Once they have your money they are not interested at all in what happens. First time was a spray mop that broke in the first week, refunds are not available, just groupon credit so we had a replacement.... It also broke after 2 uses & once again no refund is the policy. Second time was a voucher for ATS, went along and had the aircon regassed, it lasted less than a day and I only drove 2 miles. ATS said "it's not our problem. It worked when you left here," which it did a bit but not properly but they were closed when I picked the car up. Groupon said "sorry to hear that, have a 20% refund in groupon credit." They were not in the least bit interested in the fact that it didn't work and just said "we don't give refunds, regardless" so I'm left with no aircon service that I paid for and no refund.

Groupon's site says it pays any refunds to the original payment method, they don't, they don't give refunds and any they may offer is as groupon credit only. As for reviews, the only way to review a service from groupon is when they request that you do via email...so if you complain to them you can't leave a review on their site, hence why there as some many negatives on here but not on groupon's own site, don't buy from them as you are not covered by the normal retail laws and any problems you have no comebacks whatsoever.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I tried to contact Groupon because I had a question reference one of their Merchants that I had purchased a Groupon. First, this company do not have a contact phone number which is not good. I was give a choice to Chat and I did try to chat but no live person would chat back with me. I kept getting pre-written messages. After trying for over 5 times I got an email a week later to respond to a link. The customer service for this company is actually a minus one.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I placed my Order back in March and as of today No products (which were returned) and no refund (as promised by Ezone Technology) merchant who advise they would refund me when the products were returned. I reached out to escalate through Groupon since it is their platform. This has been the worse experience. The chat is slow and all they do is run you around in circles with no resolution. $112 may not be much to some but it is something to me and my four kids. I am not asking for more than I am owed my money or the products. I have all the supporting info emails and bank letters stating I have taking the proper steps to resolve the issue that would have never occurred if Groupon system didn't duplicate my order.

I will have to take other action and this is sad to lose a 15 year relationship over something that can simply be corrected. I will make sure to tell all my friends family and anyone I hear mention the names. Remember word of mouth is a major platform these days social media. Nothing good will come from not doing what's right. I want my money that's owed to me. If I could score less than 1 I would.

Groupon author review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

by Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Advisor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information