1.13/5
Based on 428 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1405 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I was running a campaign for my business at Groupon... and as soon as I stopped the campaign Groupon started paying me a $1 or $2 per voucher redeemed. Is a shame that a company as big and with the money this company is making the company keeps doing fraud to customers and merchants... This needs to stop. Does anyone else here as merchants have the same experience I did? Any lawyer here? Is there any laws that protect us or a way to stop Groupon from doing more fraud to their customers?? I can't even email them anymore. They have me blocked because I have them a bad review.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Please be advised... that while your Groupon CLEARLY states that the promotional price you paid for an item NEVER expires, this was from them today for an item that I paid $16 for (a restaurant voucher, the restaurant closed)... "Since the voucher is expired more than a year our system would only be able to process $8 Groupon bucks for this process, we do apologize for this situation, as my hands are tied in this issue as well." So make sure you use your Groupons in the time allotted because they lie!!! Please know that I did have another expired Groupon just recently from a few years ago that I was fully refunded in Groupon bucks. I do not mind the Groupon bucks, I mind the discrepancies in their policies that demonstrate inconsistencies, lies, and fraudulent business practices.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I read Groupon's refund policy before booking an architecture cruise around NYC harbor for a small group of friends. It stated refunds are provided within 3 days of purchase. Right after, I was reminded we have a 50th anniversary celebration same day. Groupon no longer has a phone number to contact customer service so I had to communicate via text. The support staff stated the purchase was a final sale despite the written policy saying refunds are provided within 3 days of purchase. Groupon would not process a refund, not even after a supervisor intervened. GROUPON'S POLICIES ARE MISLEADING AND THEY SHOULD BE INSTRUCTED TO CHANGE.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

So we just had the worse customer service experience with Groupon and looks like we are leaving them as customers. We experienced fraud on a $15 purchase. The agent locked our account for over a week to investigate just to email us later to say we did the purchase and they could not refund our money back! Now the Groupon deal is at a restaurant in Illinois which is 9 hours from us! They said tough and so we are out $15 dollars and were treated like liars! Not how you retain customers Groupon! We are closing our account!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Go Jump Oceanside Groupon - Coupon is bogus! Called and spoke to 2 reps there to verify that we pay full price for 1 and up to 8 with that full price booking are 51.00 each. Paid down of 260.00 get there and are now told it's 100.00 more a person and then extra for photos and videos (the latter I expected). So, instead of 350 for 4 jumpers, they took our 260 and then wanted 300 more plus paying for videos at lowest 95 each for total of about 860! Are you kidding me! Totally felt scammed and said, "I'm not jumping, cancel me." At least I had the girls there talking about me... guess they couldn't see my point? Oh well...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have tried to purchase these Groupon deals. It has only worked once out of three attempts. Sadly that was a fast food promotion, the other two were for large chain restaurants, always seeing to show up on the first page for my local deals. In both instances, I was stuck with the full cost of the restaurant meals. I will never use Groupon again. I would especially not use it unless I was ready to pay without their so-called deal. Also, I will point out trying to get a refund was nearly impossible. They did refund the amount of the Groupon "deal," but they told me it would take 10 business days. Interestingly enough, the amount was taken immediately. So my guess is, they love to sit on the money of thousands of these "deals" that interest adds up for these guys.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Hard or impossible to get back a refund, there is no phone number you can call and talk to a live person. I sent back two items on the same day same time and they said that they only got one and got several empty boxes several times. They never refund my money back so I lost $217. Stay away from this company at all cost.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Tried to use a Groupon, merchant had moved away. Groupon refused to refund. Can’t understand the service reps. No one listens to your issues. HUGE pain to get any resolution. Don’t waste your time or money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Very few products or services ever in my area (within 100 miles) that I could use EVER on Groupon. Every email now has a big gun pointing at me advertising a Shooting Range. I spoke to a Supervisor through their Chat, and urged them to never have anything to do with guns any more, and after a week, they told me in an email "Groupon has not been able to do the edit you requested." So, they would rather have the money from companies that glorify guns, than to cut down on the mass shootings in this country. A Groupon for a service expired, and a Supervisor told me that they cannot do anything about it. I need to contact the store.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I received a package in the mail today from Groupon Goods. I did not order this item nor did I authorize the purchase. I had to leave a message for someone to call me. They then had a customer service associate call me that hardly spoke any English and what she did speak so thick with an accent you couldn’t understand her and said they weren’t going to do anything about me having an unauthorized purchase without me verifying information that I did not have access to since I DIDN’T make the purchase. Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Received Groupon email "50% off for 2 days only". Opened email and hit shop now. I expected to enter coupon code at checkout but transaction didn't give me an "Apply Code" window and transaction completed at full price. Contacted Customer Service immediately via email and directed to "fine print". Groupon Promise does not apply. I tried Chat customer Service and Mohomad asked me to hold on and ended chat when he returned and I didn't respond immediately. Tried CS via phone and referred to fine print that overrides the Groupon Promise. Had come to like Groupon until this deceptive email and 3 strike customer service experience.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Do not EVER book vacations through @groupongetaways! Me and my soon to be husband have literally had the worst experience ever with them from the beginning. Long story short, we booked our honeymoon through them which was a painful process in the beginning but we got it figured out. Come to find out by calling the actual resort that they don’t have any reservation booked for those dates for us. So my husband chats in because no one is answering the phones... and explains the situation to this lady and she says, “Oh no problem. I’m so sorry about that, I will forward the information to the resort and get this reservation confirmed for you.” Minutes later my husband gets an email saying, a full refund has been processed and will take up to 7-10 business days... and as you can imagine this vacation is not very cheap. So it’s not like we can just repurchase it right now and our wedding is in 4 days. Oh and flights are already booked too.

My husband calls in and finally gets someone on the phone and this guy says, "Sorry. There’s nothing we can do since the refund is already in the processing stage!" So pretty much Groupon really screwed us over and thankfully we have a backup plan. But just wanted to warn anyone who’s ever thought about booking any vacation through Groupon.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I placed an order for a shoe rack with this company on July 22 and have yet to receive my product that is coming from two states away from me! I have contacted customer service several times and have been given the runaround. I want my money back or my item delivered! I will never shop with you again. I have never had such a bad experience with a company in my life!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Deal concerned: Costco-membership - My spouse bought a Groupon without reading the fine print, (as a computer/online newbie). When we were unable to use it, (after the three day expiry time), I contacted them to ask about a refund, of course, they touted the three-day rule, I then said I would be happy to take an exchange or credit instead. No way would they do this, they didn't even discuss this with me. The worst part was that during the last part of our discussion on chat, she hung up on me while I was still typing a reply. DO NOT USE GROUPON! You will get burned sooner or later.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I would strongly urge people to avoid using Groupon at all costs. After my experience and that of others I’m reading here, it’s apparent Groupon often takes people’s money without delivering and then use their “terms and conditions” to get out of any refunds. In short I bought a voucher good for 2 Pogo city passes. I followed Groupon’s directions to redeem the voucher, but only one pass showed. I went back to Groupon and noticed another pass in my cart and figured that was the 2nd pass. When I pressed redeem, it brought me to the correct 2 Passes I needed. I now had 3 passes, although had only bought 2. I went back to cancel my pass and noticed ANOTHER voucher had been placed in my cart. At this point I realised their error and deleted this pass.

I wrote to them many times to say I wanted my money back for the original additional pass they had added to my cart but they have refused to do this. They have further refused to give me the correct two-pass voucher that I supposedly bought. This means I am stuck with a voucher I haven’t ordered, but they have made me pay for, and doesn’t even give me what is paid for. I know this sounds confusing. Believe me, I was confused trying to sort it out on my end too! Unfortunately they took advantage of this and have still charged me $80 extra and I don’t even get to have the correct voucher.

I have now written to them stating I will accept they won’t refund my money (although I’m not happy about this as it was their fault) but would like them to provide me with the 2 vouchers as the voucher only gives me 1. They have refused many times to do this no matter how much I explain their second error. It’s a frustrating circle and I will not ever use Groupon again, choosing other similar services with better customer service who don’t try to cheat their customers.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This company is a thief and steals your money. Don't buy any product or service through this website, because if something goes wrong there would be no resolution for your problem. Someone used my credit card and I saw the charge on my checking account and I tried so many times to get someone to help me from this company. This company has no actual phone number that you can contact them directly and you have to request a phone call which they may or may not call you the same day.

In 4 months of trying, with emails including the picture of transaction and requests of phone calls, finally I was able to talk to them only 3 times make. and my answer was that this is a purchase with one of their accounts and that can not be resolved and refund cannot be granted. Don't use this service, there is a reason that they only have one star here, if there was a choice to give zero star and a thumb down option I would rather to chose that instead. Please be careful what you signing for.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I purchased a Groupon City Explorer pass for Chicago. 2 adults and 1 child for $187. I redeemed these with the merchant and was ready to go. When I go to Chicago I had difficulty using it. At the venues where we tried to use it. They said they had had difficulties with other Groupon purchases of explorer passes. I rang the merchant and they checked out the pass and said that Groupon had sold us an expired pass. When I contacted Groupon I could not call them but over a chat online they said they couldn't help and they would escalate it and get back to me in 3 days. They are now offering me a credit which I have to use on a Groupon product by 22nd August. Given this is a mis-sold product that I could not use I am shocked that I cannot be refunded the full amount. It seems like a scam to me. I urge you not to purchase through Groupon as they have stolen my money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Groupon is a scam. The merchandise they sell is cheap looking. I ordered three items of clothing, look nothing like the picture, cheap stitching, colors different, sizing is made for Asian builds, the dress I ordered ripped down the middle out of nowhere because it's so cheap. Trying to contact customer service is a joke-hung up on; chat disconnected, no contact number for the clothing manufacturers. - SCAM. DO NOT BUY FROM GROUPON.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I returned a computer after it did not reboot after one week. I send back the computer on the 10th of July and is still waiting just to hear back from the company about how long it takes to get a refund. They do not have a telephone number and when I webchat with them they could not give me an answer. This company is ripping consumers off.

Original review: July 29, 2018

My friend and I recently purchased rooms for Niagara Falls - Groupon had the room listed as Wyndham Garden Niagara Falls Fallsview, along with a picture of the falls. We purchased the voucher for 2 nights, believing we were getting a great deal... no... the hotel was 1-2 stars and had a view of the parking lot along with some heavy equipment, dingy and old rooms and furniture. Certainly not what we expected for a romantic getaway. AND, NO FALLS VIEW - apparently, the room is in Fallsview, Niagara Falls - so much for transparency! We were completely misled. This is one of two situations we experienced this trip with Groupon Getaways... misleading advertising and watch out for the "FINE" print... (First time - Last time)

Also, the reservations take time in their "System", so when we called the hotel to confirm our reservation, which was for the following day, we were told by the hotel that they had no record of the reservation, so we booked another room, assuming it was a snafu with our credit cards... so, now, we had 2 rooms each, neither reservation shows up at the hotel front desk for verification... Groupon refuses to give back our money for the room, I only needed one room, but I had to pay for two rooms for the same night in the same city.

NEVER AGAIN... I was once a fan of Groupon - now - with the difficulty you have contacting them... try to negotiate the website... it seems to change on a daily basis. Then you wait forever to get contact from a supervisor, which is also via email or chat. What's Up Groupon. NEVER AGAIN. I noticed a change with Groupon in the past year. Prior to this, they seemed to be a well-run company with fair policies. Apparently they have had a change of heart... too bad. I will be in touch with Corporate tomorrow to bring my complaints to a higher level.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I am never buying a Groupon ever again. Worse experience ever. Bought a Groupon for a wine tour in BC which cost over $300.00. Called the company itself to ask if they needed anything from me and they were surprised as they no longer do Groupons or even do wine tours from the town I booked for. So I contacted Groupon. They tell me that they will get back to me on a certain day with a resolution to my problem. Two days after said day, I still haven't heard anything. When I contact them again they tell me they asked for time. Which I then tell them yes and it's now been two extra days from the time you told me. To then get an email saying, "Sorry but we will not reimburse you because the ticket said it was nonrefundable". I spent over 300 dollars on this ticket. So I asked that a manager phone me which no one phoned.

So you tell me that there is a disconnect between Groupon and said company, nothing I did wrong on my end but I'm punished and out of funds because the fine print said no refunds? I can understand this if I'm cancelling but that is not the case. The event I bought does not exist. Called said company again to tell them I bought a Groupon for them and they were amazing. Apologized for the bad experience I had, due to Groupon. They told me they had talked to Groupon and asked that I get refunded as they had no idea Groupon was selling some of their tours... I told them that's funny cause Groupon will not refund me at all. So the company will give me a wine tour. Though I now have to drive 60 km from the town I'll be vacationing at.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I ordered a mattresses from Groupon. Groupon message said that it will be shipped in two days after order. It has been more than a week since I make the order, I haven't even receive a confirmation of the order and no delivery date or anything. Click on the status still showing that my is order 'being processed'. Contact Groupon Customer Support once through online chat and told that a specialist will handle my case and let me know about it. It has been three days and don't heard anything from Groupon. Told them that I will be on vacation and needs a confirmed date so that I can be sure that we have somebody around to receive the item, but no luck to get any information from Groupon. Used to love Groupon, but this totally changed my opinion on this company. Seeing so many negative reviews on this company. Will stop order anything in the future from it. Groupon simply has not any business ethic!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

So disappointed!!! Booked a romantic getaway - drove over an hour to place and was told I had no reservation!!! When talked to someone - I was told it could take over 24 hours to process. I was only staying one night - all they could offer was to cancel the order!!! Had to return home with no getaway!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

First of all they rip off the business owners by keeping half of the Groupon amount that is advertised. Secondly I had a problem recently where I was getting random texts for "consumers" wanting my painting services. The addresses I was given were for homes that were recently put on the MLS, or abandoned. All the requests were out of state spoof numbers that asked if I accepted credit cards and were always in the hospital with some illness, and couldn't meet me in person . I had 15 of these in a week.

I brought it to Groupon's attention and they did nothing, I escalated for several days and finally got the Groupon cancelled and my information removed. No apologies I was told to just calm down... and to make sure I honored the Groupon vouchers that were already purchased. Not one was ever purchased in three years. For giving this company half my money the marketing and ads were very substandard, and generated a whole lot of nothing for my business. Stay away from this company if you are any kind of business owner.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My wife and I went to a Groupon listed restaurant today, and experienced a "Bait & Switch" for menu prices/almost double from the web menu site. We told Groupon, and they agreed to refund the $$ spent on the voucher. Later in the conversation, the refund was "reworded" to say, "You will have a credit to apply to future purchases." Not what was agreed. The CS Manager was helpful but not able to override the computer, and now I am stuck with money on the account that I am forced to spend on another Groupon product. The Groupon policies are too strict, the restaurants are not cooperative, and the customer gets the short end of the stick. We will be closing our account. BE FOREWARNED!!! DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR ADVERTISING. They do not deliver as promised.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Groupon Used to be great. Not anymore! I’ve been a Groupon freak since its inception many years ago. I was an avid fan, buying multiple coupons every week for just about every type of deal offered. It was a fantastic way to get established in a new area after a move. How far it has fallen. Customer service is nonexistent. There is no 800-number or effective live chat anymore. Customer support used to be front and center. That’s done. I have friends that post deals on Groupon for their business and they have just as much trouble on that end as the people buying the deals. I also noticed the quality of some of the products shipped from the goods category are subpar at best. It’s just not worth the gamble.

Call the vendor directly and they will usually give you the deal, matching Groupon's price without having to deal with them. It’s so sad - they are a horrible company now. They are just surfing on their reputation from the past. It will probably squeeze everything out of the company they can before it’s garbage. The search result information is shotty and sometimes you could end up buying a deal hours away from the search location entered.

It is very easy to buy a deal outside of your area of interest without knowing. You might be unfortunate enough to have purchased a large ticket item, like a destination adventure or vacation package. If you have any issues with your purchase it will take you a long time to get support. If you get to this point at all, you may get offered Groupon bucks in exchange. Great, hundreds of dollars worth of Groupon bucks to buy more crappy deals and get more crappy customer service. I did this in preparation for a trip to Hawaii and it was a disaster. Type in Maui to search for deals in that area and see what pops up.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Don't fall into that trap of the Groupon deals, once they take your money your on your own, you may not be able to redeem your voucher. Anything goes wrong with the company from which you should get the service from, they are going to tell you to contact Groupon to get your refund, and you're not going to be able to speak to nobody in Groupon because their customer service is basically nonexistent, some deals work and you have no problems but a lot of them don't and your money is going to be in limbo. Stop Groupon from fooling people. Don't let them fool you!

Original review: July 25, 2018

Will never purchase Groupon Goods again. I purchased a Groupon Good for the first time in years, and after placing my order I realized that there was a very old mailing address listed in my account. I attempted to contact customer service that night with no luck. In the morning, I was able to Live Chat and was told that after 2 hours from the time the order is submitted, nothing can be done to change anything about it, including shipping address. So, I am out of luck and will not receive the item I just paid for, and contacted them about within 12 (night time) hours of making the order.

I attempted to contact Groupon many times to try to get my item will be delivered to my house (rather than a stranger's house). Two days later I got a notice saying "your item has shipped to [wrong address]." Continuing to get a customer service on the phone has been impossible, and the live chat submits form answers that are unclear, repetitive and not helpful. This is truly poor customer service. Why wouldn't they want to make sure customers received the items they purchased? I will not shop here again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Do not trust your security with Groupon, don't save your credit cards on file with them. My account was hacked, and email associated with said account was changed, and someone tried to make purchases (thanks fraud detection from Amex!). Do you think Groupon chat support can understand what 'The email associated with my account was changed' means, or any way to trace what happened? NOPE! They copy and paste the same ** 'support' messages, I can't even confirm if they know English, and I can confirm they don't know how to solve problems! You also can't phone them, and waiting for someone to email back, if you're lucky, is ridiculously long, and when they do THEY DON'T EVEN address the problem! What a joke! I wouldn't put it passed a decent hacker to have breached their 'security' and get their user/password lists, and we'd never know!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I purchased two vouchers for a restaurant at Groupon by mistake--I only wanted one. When I realized my mistake, I immediately called Groupon and was told I could not get a refund. This is really terrible customer service, especially since I called as soon as I finished making this purchase.

Not sure about Groupon?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Deal Websites for you.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information

600 W Chicago Ave #620
Chicago
IL
1-888-375-5777
www.groupon.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business