1.10/5

Last updated: April 21, 2018

1287 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

Having worked with Groupon for almost a year and done almost $50,000 of business with them, they terminated our contract without notice or without reason. A customer complaint they said. They said they did a thorough investigation but never consulted us? The past few months they have taken deductions without explanation and refused to return emails when asked for details? Our dealings with them have never been easy and smooth, right from the start and I am really, really disgusted with the way they conduct themselves and smoother the market with advertising and make it so difficult for small businesses to compete with them.

They treat their merchants with contempt and they are not much better to the customer. My advice for any Groupon Customer is to call the vendor directly, cut out Groupon and ask the merchant if they will honor the Groupon rate. Most merchants will gladly deal with the customer directly, this way they are getting 100% of the discounted rate at the time services are rendered, instead of only 50% of which they have to wait three months to get 20% of that payment. Only to find increasingly more "payment adjustments" deducted, that are not explained! I will never do business with Groupon again, not as a customer or a merchant and I look forward to the day they go out of business.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I was able to "Chat" with someone once and have never been able to get back to that screen again. I had Groupons that expired due to the fact that my mother was in hospice and I moved in with her to care for her. I have a Groupon where the vendor would not come to my area; where the business no longer exists; where the online program did not work; and where the vendor has marked the Groupon as being used when it was not. You use to be able to call and speak to someone in India; that no longer is an option; there is no phone number or email address that works. Representatives are unable to call out and you cannot call in. I was on chat (slower than molasses) for over 2 hours and only got a couple of issues handled.

I was contacted by Groupon that one of my deals was not able to offer their services as they had left the country. Rather than credit me the amount paid I was told to contact Groupon which is impossible. I attempted to resolve this very issue on the one time I was able to "Chat" but it never happened. Groupon has no concept of what Customer Service means and do not care about their customers at all. Today a Promo Code "Sale3" did not work on a substantial purchase and no way to contact anyone. They have certainly lost me as a regular customer. I wish they had some competition.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 20, 2018

I attempted for 2 straight days to return a product through Groupon's website (the product was clearly marked free returns). I attempted to contact customer service, but discovered that no one answers the phone. It's only a recording. The only way I was able to get satisfaction was to "live chat" over the computer. The only way that I was able to get a live chat going was to threaten to contact the attorney general of my state and the Better Business Bureau. That got a response and I was able to live chat. During the live chat, I said that their claim of free returns was false advertising and they finally emailed me the return label. Now, I will see if I get a refund. Fortunately, I purchased this on American Express, who has a wonderful policy that they won't pay for an item that you've returned. My recommendation -- only purchase Groupon on credit cards that you know will protect you.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Sorry to say that the reviews are true. Ordered something, got sent the wrong product completely. Then told by Groupon they couldn’t replace or refund but would give me Groupon credit. IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS. Terrible customer service, now have to pursue refund through my credit card.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was looking for information regarding a dinner show on Groupon. I found the information but did not purchase the tickets. A few days later I checked my bank account and I had a $234.00 charge. I contacted Groupon and they won't do anything. I am going to the bank to file a fraud report. Hopefully they will refund my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Note - this is my first negative review of a company. BEWARE! Just a warning to even those of you that think it's great now. Like I had once upon a time: The customer satisfaction pledge is false (which is the reason I felt confident about purchasing a trip from the site). I purchased a trip from a very shady company who did not respond to my efforts to contact and was not as it was advertised. I contacted Groupon 2 days after the purchase for the trip 7 months away, confident that the satisfaction pledge would stand up. No. The customer service is the worst I'd ever seen... ever. You can only communicate through email, and you only get a canned response (from what I assume is an offshore vendor) is canned and ridiculously irrelevant to your inquiry. There is no phone number, no escalation path- well except for the attorney general, which is now my new path.

The Ebates link that advertises cash back... does not give you cash back, even if it's on the trip you clicked on. The promise of getting cash back is also false. As verified by Ebates. I had used Groupon for years for local purchases, but will never again. This is the worst experience that I've had with any company of its size. How can it still be operating?

Original review: April 16, 2018

On April 9, 2018 I ordered the JetWave Sonic toothbrush, cost 37.99 plus 3.34 unknown charges to total 41.33. No acknowledgment was sent to my email, but on 4-10 I was charged $41.33. ON 4-16 I was again charged $41.33. I have still not received any acknowledgment of the order, nor have I received. Shortly after the second charge of 41.33, additional charges of $202.50 and $1853.30 was made to my checking account. I have tried to find a number for Groupon Support to no luck.

It appears that Groupon will not back up their clients and are certainly unwilling to support customers. This appears to be a fraud operation who is making money from unwitting customers. My bank will be reversing all charges and I will never buy anything from Groupon again. Their customer service is non-existent. (I don't know how I can get a picture of the item and since there was never an confirmation of the order I can't give you an item number.) I'm just extremely unhappy this and with Groupon that there is no way to solve problems. Please contact me to let me know how to put a picture of the item for you.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Ordered 2 night time masks with ice packs, received 1 with no ice packs. I am an adult, they sent small. Cannot get it on my head. Cannot get a refund or talk to anyone. Receipt says 9.99, I paid 14.99 through PayPal.com. Shameful.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Before I did anything I put in my location. I ended up buying tickets for across the country. Now they won't refund my money or transfer the tickets to my area. So I'm out $80 and have two upset children. I will never use Groupon again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The fact that I have had more than one issue with Groupon not giving refunds that were promised and never received, you can't get in touch with them because they simply don't want to deal with customers and they really are not needed to get discounts. Business are starting to just give the offers so they and you don't have to work with the crooks at Groupon.

I have been treated badly one too many times and I want to be able to speak to someone when there is a problem. I will never use them again. Businesses will just honor the deals without you having to buy the Groupon... There is no need for this POS company. Goodbye and Good Riddance. RIP GROUPON. YOU DESERVE IT.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am owed $76.93 in Groupon Bucks, after complaining about an expiration on the Bucks, I was informed my Bucks would not expire since they received the money. So I have been reviewing their offering emails for quite sometime looking for something to apply my Groupon Bucks. I found something today and checked my account and it reports there are no Bucks available even though I was lead to believe they would not expire. The company does not represent ethical practices.

NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH GROUPON, They will take your money, not deliver a product, but after 3 days give you worthless credit in their Groupon Bucks, which they misrepresented. I believe this is fraud. You need to be really careful, because if you don't find something immediately, you will lose your money. Terrible customer support.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Groupon allows people who are not verified purchases to leave negative ratings on my company's listing and they refuse to take down ratings on a completely different product from the business before we bought it, to remain. We are getting a 73% rating from something they sold 7 years ago stuck on our deal page. We didn't even own the business! Completely unfair.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Groupon sells items on their website and get your money, and if you have a problem, they Could Not care less. I made a purchase 6 weeks ago. I did as instructed to get my purchase which did not work the 4 times I tried. I contacted Groupon. NO HELP whatsoever... SO They Got My Money... end of story. If you have a problem, you are on your own. I would advise anyone to Not use this site... I think they all a bunch of crooks.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Bought some deals - about $300 total which all disappeared from “my stuff” and Groupon claims they can’t find them. They should be able to based on my email but say they would need the business names or purchase # but this record is no longer available to me on their site due to some glitch. Smells a lot like a scam.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have never dealt with such awful customer service. I went to buy two tickets but it kept defaulting to one ticket for some reason so I bought the one ticket for 10.50. I then bought another ticket for 10.50. I look at my receipt and notice that it gave me two tickets the first time and charged me 21 even though I confirmed the 10.50 with the first ticket. The tickets were final sale so I contact customer service hoping for a refund since it was their app that messed up. They refused a refund because it was their policy since it was final sale even though they messed up.

Apparently it’s their policy to rip customers off. I was under the impression that it was their job to fix any errors that come across. I also told them that the third ticket is not going to be used because I only needed two and she told me that she “respects my decision,” like I actually meant to order the third one. Sounded very condescending. I’m lucky I only spent 10 extra dollars but I’m irritated that they have such awful customer service.

Original review: April 6, 2018

On 3/17/2018, I purchased a Sam's Club $40.00 membership for $30.00. I paid through PayPal and then received a redemption code for the voucher. I entered the code on the website provided. A few weeks passed and I didn’t receive anything from Sam's Club. I called them and they researched the purchase and could not find any evidence of a purchase of a voucher under my name.

I then contacted Groupon via their Live Chat since you can’t speak with a rep directly. I chatted with Nishant ** and advised him of my situation. He typed back that he would check into my problem. After a period over several days, I was advised by Groupon that the voucher was redeemed on 3/17/18 at 2:38 PM. Again I contacted Sams and gave them the info provided by Groupon. The rep checked via their system and still couldn’t locate a purchase made by me. Again I contacted Groupon via chat and advised them of the info I was given by Sam's. I received an e-mail from Groupon stating that they couldn’t do anything about my situation but provided me with a long Support ID# to give to Sam's. Again I contacted Sam's and gave them the support number. I was advised that they had no way to look up the number given to me by Groupon.

This is a very sad way of Groupon having me go back and forth between them and Sams. They should be the ones investigating the matter. I paid Groupon for the voucher, they need to investigate why a voucher that was redeemed and not received by Sam's Club. I would like to get what I purchased and paid for without all this hassle from Groupon.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I received $200 in gift card from my Father. I used them all except for one because when taking the label off the PIN and the tape ripped and covered it. I attempted to scrape it off but had no luck. I contacted them and never heard back (24 hours). I did CHAT twice and provided the information they asked for. So they are holding and not returning my CASH. Inferior customer service. There is not a phone number to contact them most likely because they don't have enough reps to handle all of the complaints. Not too long ago they were selling a salon coupon and when I attempted to make an appointment they were out of business. I have spent a lot of time dealing with incompetency.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I absolutely love this makeup brush set! It has such good quality. The case it comes in is even good quality. The reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because one of the brushes looks like it's burnt and it looks like I'm missing a brush, but everything else is perfect! I love it. I can't get a good picture of the burnt one. It looks worse than the picture. But this is definitely a good buy!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I bought a Groupon for Printerpix, 4 canvas portraits 16x20 for $31.00. I tried for two days to order. My order would not go through. It was about to expire so I called Groupon and explained that Printerpix was having trouble with their site and I was unable to place my order. I simply asked for a 1-2 day extension. I was denied. I asked why... all of this on chat, of course, because you are not allowed to speak to a human being. Cheaper for Groupon this way! I was disconnected! So I called Printerpix. All of the reps are abroad and it is very difficult to understand them. I know my blood pressure must have hit 200 during this ordeal. I was disconnected 3 times by Printerpix. I will never use Printerpix or Groupon again.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I am beyond frustrated with Groupon. Fraudulent, poor customer service & has an extremely poor resolution team. Not even a phone number to contact is provided. The “fine print” for “getaway packages” should include distances from the hotel to participating attractions, restaurants, wineries etc. Especially if traveling out of the country! Misled! “Fine print” did not specify all of the inclusions were several miles away. Nor did the “fine print” specify parking rates at the hotel or cab fare/parking prices to get to these “inclusive” destinations.

Images as well as reviews of the hotel not provided. Paid $180 to stay in an extremely outdated hotel with horrible reviews online, when I could have rented a room in the same hotel with a legit travel site for less than $60! Absurd & fraudulent. I would have accepted a voucher towards something else on Groupon or even 50% of my money refunded. Now I will be contacting my bank, deleting my account & relationship with Groupon. My family & friends will be doing so as well.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This is the most frustrating process I have ever had to deal with. I spent 150.00 on a camera and they sent the wrong color. You can not contact ANYONE to help you and you only have 30 days to receive a refund. I AM FRUSTRATED AND FEEL LIKE MY MONEY WAS TAKEN!!! What can be done about them?

Original review: April 4, 2018

Tried to purchase a Groupon and kept receiving error message. Contacted Groupon customer service who said they would look into the error. Never received anything back. I contacted again and they said they would look into this error. Never received anything back. Did this several more times and finally they ignore my requests and close the case. I still cannot purchase the Groupon and still receive the error message. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. For the fun I contacted them again month later with my case number, and they ignore my request. In a business like this, customer service is everything, good luck to them.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Purchased two Groupons and when I tried to redeem the voucher from the merchant, the merchant's website said "invalid codes." I tried multiple times. I finally contacted Groupon. Turns out, there's no longer a phone number to call and be able to actually talk to a person. I ended up chatting with someone who could not help at all (I've had a similar experience in the past, and because I was able to talk to a person, the matter was resolved immediately during the conversation). He/she kept saying he/she needed to escalate to his coworker because he couldn't do anything else. Useless! I ended up just cancelling my order altogether. I don't think I'll purchase from Groupon again mainly because of this terrible customer service!

Original review: April 3, 2018

Very bad experience. I had an issue with my voucher. After purchase the offer Golden beaches helicopter tour, it said: internal error, I wasn't able to use it. Customer service said it's a final sale. Pfff. Yet no one was able to help resolve my issue. 200 dollars down the drain. No customer service number. Just live chat with some incompetent supervisor.

Original review: April 2, 2018 Immediately attempted to cancel purchase of salt cave experience since the place was in Naples, FL and I live in Maine. The only contact way is by email. They do not respond. After 2 days I requested a call from them. They did call and said that the "fine print" does not allow a refund, but I could try to sell it to someone.

So I paid for a service I did not receive and cannot use. Filed with BBB, but I think it gets intercepted to them, because they sent me email that it was resolved, it was not resolved. Only $24, but this says a lot about Groupon. Beware.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am giving Groupon a one star review in Consumer Affairs. They are unfair to the merchants that offer their services that have helped Groupon become the multi million Dollar enterprise that it is. However with many consumers don’t understand or know is the perspective of the business owner that decides to going to business with Groupon especially the small business owner. Groupon treats merchants with lack of respect. They lie to us and they force us into deals that causes hardship. They run deals without our permission and furthermore will not stop running them when they say that the deals are expired.

Consumers need to understand the other side of matters and that it is not that business owners take issue with redeeming coupons. It’s that Groupon is unfair to the merchants that generously offered their services in an effort to grow their businesses. In turn Groupon does not honor this generosity. Instead it takes advantage of it and lies to the consumer and to the merchant. I personally will never do business with Groupon again nor for any of my business services through this company. Furthermore consumers need to know that there is a class-action suit pending against Groupon currently for illegally re-writing contracts and publishing deals that merchants did not want to published or agreed to.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Two different scenarios, one was over a year ago and I was promised a food tray, dessert plate and cash back at Sam's for a membership. I received the membership but customer service at Sam's did not honor the Groupon deal. Recently, my daughter bought a silk screen painting to be done. She can't get a refund from Groupon nor the company as they are no longer honoring this deal.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I bought a MacBook Pro and the operating system was encrypted. I tried email and phone to no avail. A chat finally showed up. It cost me $130 for a tech to get the computer to work. Groupon would not refund me that amount nor give me a credit to use on my account, THEY WANTED ME TO SEND IT BACK AFTER I ALREADY HAD IT FIXED!

Original review: March 29, 2018

What incredible abuse of consumer rights. But it seems from the reviews that Groupon is guilty of flagrant abuse of consumer rights across all continents. It seems incredible that they can continue to abuse consumers with impunity. The consumers have the right to know all the information pertaining to an offer in the FINE PRINT which IS why it is called the Fine Print... Not to have specific clauses, validities and exclusions buried in the ‘How to redeem’... It hardly says ‘When to redeem’... But How...

This ongoing and blatantly misleading and furtive presentation of offers in order to boost and falsely inflate sales is reprehensible and an affront to consumer rights. Groupon of course deny any wrongdoing as is their standard response to consumer complaints... In the words of John Grisham in the Rainmaker: "Dear Mrs. Black: On seven prior occasions this company has denied your claim in writing. We now deny it for the eighth and final time. You must be stupid, stupid stupid, stupid!” Are we stupid Groupon?

Original review: March 29, 2018

I ordered an Android box from Groupon. They delivered it to the wrong address, so I tried to contact them via phone and via email. I have a better chance playing lotto, I have contacted the seller but he doesn't reply. Groupon doesn't reply either. I will take a 40 dollar loss. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM GROUPON AGAIN. AND I HOPE THAT WHOEVER IS READING THIS DOESNT BUY FROM GROUPON EITHER.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information