2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5
Based on 1,432 ratings submitted in the last year

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Groupon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Basically stole my money. I thought I was reviewing an order and instead they charged me for a hotel I didn't want and that had an additional $40 a day surcharge not reflected in the price. I called one minute after the charge happened and then they wasted an hour of my time before telling me they couldn't do anything and to contact the hotel which is nonsense since they charged me. Groupon has basically become scam artists and I will never use them again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I ordered a "high speed" three port iPhone charger through Groupon. The merchant sent a one port charger that was nothing like the one pictured on Groupon. The merchant included cheap charger cables that are not meant for iPhone. I assume the merchant hoped the cables would make me overlook the difference in the chargers. It didn't. I emailed the merchant through the Groupon site three time. No response. Ever try to find Groupon customer service? There is no Groupon customer service. Their site would try to make you believe there is one, but, try to reach them.

You are on your own if the merchant is not responsive. Pitiful. I left a nasty message on Groupon's PR site, the only place you can communicate with anyone there. I will never get a response, but I feel better. Now, I will just leave a negative review whenever I can and hope to see they file Chapter 7 in the near future. Fortunately, my credit card company disputed the charge. They can now take over where Groupon should have been involved. NEVER AGAIN WITH GROUPON.

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

The business I worked for tried out Groupon a few years ago. We didn't really like it, so we never did more. Our company stayed up on Groupon since they insist they can't delete you. This weekend we discovered that they had started a new Groupon without our consent. Luckily we caught it before they sold a lot. Their explanation as for why they started a new one for us was that they had sent us an email telling us they would activate it again and that they would take no reply as consent. Do not ever use this company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I am a Groupon Select customer and was purchasing an item when I noticed the addition of a shipping charge of $5.99 on the invoice at checkout. Right next to the shipping charge was a note that said "as a Groupon Select member, I will receive 15% off plus free shipping on this purchase". Since I was supposed to receive free shipping, I contacted customer support on the live chat line and was greeted by Adriana S., their customer service rep. WOW, what a waste of time that was!! Very rude and short with me when I inquired about the free shipping.

I even sent her a screenshot of the invoice showing I was supposed to get free shipping. She said "their policy was no free shipping on some marketplace merchandise for Groupon Select members... have a nice day". No explanation about the invoice or how this fell into this special category. She made me feel terrible and with absolutely no clarification to help me understand their policy in the context of my Groupon Select membership. Adriana S. was very rude and condescending. I was so angry from her attitude that I canceled my order. She should not be interacting with customers. You'll start losing them FAST!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I used Groupon to purchase tickets to the Funspot. My card declined. I tried a different card still declined. Notified my bank. Says the charges should have gone through. I never received any email from Groupon. I ended up using the actual vendor website and paying more for the tickets. Upon returning I checked my account and Groupon charged me in both my accounts. I filed a dispute. Groupon refuses to return my money saying that they have a no refund policy. Per the bank they kept trying until they obtained payment at 11:30pm and sent me an email the next day. I provided all of the documents supporting my claim. This was in November and it is January with no resolve. I am currently out of 700+ the tickets were $367.00 ea charge. I am a single mother of 4 children. The customer is terrible. No live contact. Only email. Please do not use Groupon. It's a rip off!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Today I placed an order with Groupon. I put my groupon bucks in and coupon code and hit check out my code. Didn't take it. Charged full price so I cancelled it. Less than 3 minutes after they issued me a refund but only for the face value. The item never shipped out as only 3 minutes had went past before I noticed the mistake. Customer service told me even if it does not ship out I still have to pay $16.00 in shipping and taxes. How this can't be legal. Whenever anyone gets a refund you must return the taxes on that item and if the item never shipped you should return the shipping fee. No label was created yet the order couldn't have even been sent to the seller that quick. THEY ARE CROOKS and lost a loyal customer. I would give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I purchased Groupon to book a hotel room and found the date on the receipt was not what I typed in. Since I am a very cautious person so tried to modify the receipt which I received from the email, unfortunately, it produced a second receipt. To avoid further errors, I contacted Groupon immediately( they even do not allow phone call), after 5 customer service, they escalated to '' solution team''. When I called the hotel I booked and was told never to make a reservation via Groupon and they shredded their shoulder. Despite back and forth desperate messages and emails, I learned my lesson that never uses Groupon, it's a dirty company.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Purchased a Christmas Gift. Needed to return. Groupon will not refund original payment, just offers Groupon Bucks which I don't want or need. Contacted through chat, but they won't budge. Poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I booked two rooms at the Showboat Hotel on Groupon for December 23 to December 26, 2020. We checked in on the night of December 23 and checked out on the morning of December 24. The rooms were smelly and not very clean, room 2008 had a big water bug in the bathroom, room 1920 a mouse ran from behind one of the beds and ran into the cabinet where the refrigerator is, we did not sleep one wink that night and checked out the next morning. Showboat said they could not issue the refund and they will allow Groupon to refund. Groupon does not want to refund my credit card and is making all kind of excuses. Do not use Groupon.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I purchase a Groupon for $93 voucher for Wine Insiders. When I was on the merchant's website to place an order, I was supposed to pay additional $40+ which was not disclosed. I went back to Groupon to cancel, Groupon said it is not an option. I chatted with customer service and was told that if I already "viewed" the Groupon, even I didn't use it, it is automatically marked "redeemed" and is not eligible for a refund or even trade in. It is a pure scam and I will not recommend to anyone to use it.

Groupon author review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

by Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information