1.08/5
Based on 546 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Groupon

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

1212 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I purchased 4 tickets to an event in my hometown and went to purchase another ticket when another friend wanted to join. I purchased ticket and went to redeem without really reading too carefully as I had just purchased 4 with no issue and in the same browser, and my location got changed to a country I don't live in. Now they won't refund my money as I already viewed the voucher. The website is designed to scam people. Of course I wouldn't assume my location would change without me changing it. I contacted customer service (if you can call it that) and they were no help, saying that since it has been viewed they can't refund it. All I was asking was to change the location to where I was trying to buy it from. I guess they got my $25 but they won't ever be getting more money from me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Constant problems with not getting product or customer service telling me they can’t refund. I am done. Deleted app won't buy anything from them again and will not recommend to anyone. Just terrible! You will not get any help regardless of problem. Screw them!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I recently purchased some concerts tickets from Groupon, as I was finalizing my order I realized that I had clicked on the wrong location. It was a matter of minutes when I contacted the customer service center, not to cancel my order but to try and correct it. The agent replied "sorry. It's in the fine print. No refunds", again wasn't asking for a refund just the right location. She then replied, "Perhaps a family member could use them." They are of no help at all and then just dismiss your concerns. I am out $120.00 dollars.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Bought a Groupon during one of their sales when there is no promo code and the price is just marked down. They incorrectly charged me for the original price and when I contacted Groupon, their only solution was to give me the difference in Groupon bucks (I wanted it refunded to my cc which they apparently can't do) or to cancel my order and refund me completely. The first customer service rep suggested to cancel the order and re-purchase the Groupon. I did this and the same thing happened. I didn't get charged the sale price but the original price.

I contacted customer service again and they were not able to help again, offering only the same solution again. When I asked to speak to a manager, the rep didn't respond and completely ignored me. He didn't end the chat but just left me hanging. Extremely dissatisfied in the level and lack of customer service. Can't even explain how upset I am. Beware, Groupon is not always the best deal, especially when they try to trick you and steal your money.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I ordered five, items and I only got 4... The items show delivered, but all five items on your tracking system have the same tracking number. When they were shipped separately and the four packages I have have different tracking numbers. Do not order anything from them. YOU HAVE NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT... YOU ARE UNABLE TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THEM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Truly awful experience. They sold me a parking pass at a rate higher than the seller. The Terms and conditions clearly stated that I can cancel at any time before the date of service. However, the agent refused to issue a refund, even though I contacted him right after I made the reservation, and 3 days before the service. He ended the chat abruptly, and I could not cancel the reservation. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased a Groupon for a great deal on an all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family vacation. I called beforehand to verify the flight charge for an extra 2 children. I was quoted pricing of an additional 749.00 in total. After purchasing the Groupon I called back and was told that Groupon should not be selling the 6 night option since it was a mistake. I called Groupon. They promised to look into it. I never heard back. I called to book it again since it was still on Groupon being offered and I was quoted additional fees of $2502.00 for airfare upcharges (we did not request any flight changes or times, etc. this was just because they undercharged the airfare to start with) and the extra children including a lap infant. SCAM! Now they will not refund my one Groupon since I viewed it to start booking the vacation. Both of these companies (Groupon and Vacation Express) should be ashamed. This is not good business practice.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We booked a holiday with Groupon to Italy, visiting 2-locations. The travel company supplying the holiday was Weekender Breaks, who pretty much ripped us off, with flight bookings that wouldn't connect with the follow-on rail travel. They made us pay extra charges to change the original flights. The follow-on train travel then turned out to be on a 1-way ticket only, with no ticket to get back. Extra costs were liable for the return journey to allow us to get back again. There were also issues about the original hotel booking, so a very bad experience overall. Avoid Groupon and their holiday companies like Weekender Breaks.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

☠️ “BUYER BEWARE” ☠️. If the vendor doesn’t produce the service or goods you're out of luck! Groupon has a no refund policy, pays a lot of lip service but leaves you high and dry!!! In other words you're out of pocket, say goodbye to your money!!! Much of what is listed isn’t a deal to begin with! Save yourself a great deal of aggravation, not to mention your money and go anywhere but here! I’m out $465.00.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I accidentally purchased wrong tickets and yes I agree that it was in the fine print that I could not cancel but it was less than 20 mins and they would not refund. Before making the purchase I also chatted with the agent and he/she did not tell me I was looking at wrong tickets and I just ended up wasting $80. Not only that I was on Ticketmaster and the same tickets are for $20 and I paid $30 each. I AM NEVER buying anything on Groupon EVER again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Groupon does not help with vendor issues. Mail order is the biggest problem. I can't even get Groupon to contact me. Metal Unlimited offered a sign at $19.95 but when I entered the code, etc., they want $39.95. If this is not straightened out, it will "time out" and I will lose everything. Similar problem with a child's book. Items I have received include a set of sheets with a hole in the top sheet and pillowcases that are too small for my pillows; bracelet that was not the one I ordered was sent to me.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The last 3 deals I purchased on Groupon have had misleading or incomplete information. When I contacted Groupon the first time, they flat out refused to issue a credit or a refund even though their vague language created the miscommunication. I'm still out money on that deal. As a "helpful" suggestion, they told me to gift it to someone else, as if I did not spend actual money on it and gifting this for no reason is totally fine. The second time, they issued a Groupon credit, refused to issue a refund. In that situation the Groupon they offered was a spa experience, when I called the "spa" they informed me that they only have 1 masseuse a day and very limited availability.

Third purchase, which I just had the pleasure of realizing was also a dupe, is a couple's massage that is being touted around as "Valentine's Day deal". I read the deal. I read the fine print. Typical jargon, nothing specific about blackout dates. I called to make an appointment (AFTER VALENTINE'S DAY NO LESS) and learn that they have a blackout date between Feb 9-19... there isn't a single word about this anywhere on the Groupon. Groupon policy change and went from decent customer service to total garbage. I've lost so much money trying to use their deals that I don't think I'm going to try using them anymore. Full price is more worthwhile than dealing with these crooks.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

In January 16 & 18 2018, I ordered spiral 5 notebooks ($5-$7 each) for a group of young ladies in an organization that helps with the tools for a better life. Yesterday 2/5/2018 I confirmed that I did not receive the books, nor did the organization. I contacted Groupon via chat, because they do not allow calls and they advised me that I had to complete the process with a voucher on the merchant's website. I did and there was a large balance, I stopped and contacted Groupon and they advised that I had to complete all of the steps and when in check out I would get the voucher credit and the balance would be zero. That never happened.

I was charged $117.96 and $124 for 5 spirals notebooks, plus the original $70 when Groupon that I paid in January. I reached out to Groupon today and now, I am not able to get them on chat. When I try to cancel my order, they loop me around to use my voucher# to process my payment. Very deceiving and I will never use Groupon again. Groupon has gotten into a horrible practice of ripping people off.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Sought numerous times to obtain refund for 3 Rusty Wallace Driving Experience. Customer service and upper management refused to consider refund because 3 day voucher refund window had passed (I requested at about 8 days). Kept saying "Our policy doesn't allow us to consider this." Ad on Groupon said "expires Aug. 10" leading one to believe it must be use sometime prior to that date and there would be multiple dates from which to choose. Not the case. There is ONE date on which it can be used, Aug. 10. Secondly, when vouchers were received it stated they must be redeemed within 90 days making me think that meant it had to be USED within 90 days.

Since I purchased these in January and we live in Michigan, the tracks aren't even open by mid-April so held off opening the vouchers so as not to activate them prematurely. Apparently it meant you must sign up for the "experience" within 90 days to go on Aug. 10. How misleading is that? Obviously Groupon believes in Policy before People, which is so contrary to other companies. So I am out about $240 because they will not bend because they "must adhere to policy" and not extend refunds beyond the times listed. (3 days vouchers, 14 days goods), regardless that their advertisements are misleading and confusing. I used to be a strong Groupon consumer and even recommended it to family and friends but that ends right now. I am done with Groupon because they care more about their policy than people. I hope you'll steer clear of them too.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I’ve been trying to get ahold of a Groupon Rep for about 3 weeks and had no luck. There’s practically no customer service available. Finally the rep responded to my email after I found her initial email in my spam folder when I logged in to start the sign up process. Surprisingly she responded with an apology that she was out with the flu and that emailing her would be the best and fastest way to get ahold of her. I was relieved because the platform isn’t user friendly and my Groupon offer was put in incorrectly with no way to fix it.

She said she would help me, asked me a few questions and then disappeared. I got no response after that and haven’t been able to reach her since by phone or email. Now I have a vague and incomplete business advertisement that’s running on Groupon that I’m unable to fix, plus it’s getting views but no purchases because of the errors that I can’t fix and there’s no one to talk to! This is utterly ridiculous! How is this company still in operation? They need to be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

On 2/3/18 I ordered a voucher from you for Hungarian Rhapsody restaurant. I entered the promo code SAVE25 to get the voucher at $19.50 instead of $26.00. Look at my bank account and I have been charged the $26.00. Chatted with someone from Groupon and he tells me he is going to give me Groupon Bucks for $6.50. I do not want Groupon Bucks, I want my cash back. Says he can't do that. So I canceled that order and chatted with another and told him that I had canceled the order and to remove the Groupon Bucks as it is only fair in which he did.

I ordered from Hungarian Rhapsody again that same day (2/3/18) thinking maybe I did something wrong. Entered the promo code of SAVE25 to save $6.50. Look at my bank account and I have been charged $26.00 again. And instead of it automatically giving me my credit, I have to write Groupon!!! They are committing a fraud!!! Nowhere on there does it say the savings will be issued in Groupon Bucks and that I have to CONTACT SOMEONE to get the CREDIT!!! That is dishonesty to its finest!!! I DO NOT WANT GROUPON BUCKS, I WANT MY CARD THAT I PAID WITH CREDITED $6.50!!! So, I contact Groupon again on 2/5/18 and this time the representative is telling me to cancel the second order and order again and enter another promo code to get an even bigger discount which means more Groupon Bucks. Riiiiighhhhhtttt!!! I will never, ever buy from Groupon again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I was able to enter a promo code for $10 off my purchase during check out but when I checked my credit card statement I discovered I was not given the discount. I tried to contact Groupon by telephone but I was not able to locate ANY phone numbers. I did the online chat. Their customer service apologized and stated they will issue a $10 Groupon buck towards my NEXT purchase. So now I have to make another purchase to get my discount!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Bought a Groupon and when I went to use it the location has no parking lot. Have to walk 1/2 block in dark alone. Asked for a refund and they will let me "trade" the Groupon. First time purchaser... never again. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

If I could choose negative stars, I would. We are a company that offers our services at a discounted rate with Groupon and we have been trying to get a hold of our representative for months. I have personally called him dozens of times, left voicemails and plenty of emails. He responded to the first one and then seemingly disappeared. No wonder customers hate buying things on Groupon because if there is a problem, there is no resolution. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. CALL ME BACK.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

What kind of so called "company" is this? I was bold faced ripped off. I placed an order through one of their promotions. They had no problem charging my credit card for their money, but never sent the product. After months of chasing my order down...Groupon said "go to the merchant for your order". The merchant said "go to Groupon for a refund". Neither one could find the order even though I had an order number. I could prove the charge on my account but that wasn't good enough. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

What a joke of a company. I purchased a voucher through Groupon and within 72 hours of purchasing the voucher, the company had a better promotion that made the product cheaper than what my voucher was worth. In contacting Groupon, they refused to refund my voucher or even give me credit in return of the unused voucher. I went as high as I could go with the company to seek a resolution but was met with absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced. AVOID!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Recently I want to purchase A Gotham cookware set which they advertise for $99.99. I made the purchase right away as soon as I received the email offer so the offer is still valid. But when I clicked on the 'Review Offer' the price I was offered was $133.99. I contacted Groupon right away and their excuse is that the price is subject to change. Then why can they offer a price with an expiry date and the price changes before it expires?? False advertisement. This is not the first time I have encountered this price irregularities. So buyer beware. I will not shop at Groupon for sure.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Groupon is SO awful! Do not ever buy anything from them! I booked a trip through their site but that trip was no longer available at GoMundo their partner! That means they have received money from me for nothing! And afterwards their site says that I can get my money back in 14 days without any reason. But first they said that I need confirmation from GoMundo, contacting them is so difficult, they do not answer mail and it takes half an hour until they pick up the phone! I have sent the confirmation twice to Groupon and now after a lot of calling and mailing and days passed, I have received an email that I have to wait 5 days until they find a solution. What the hell does that mean? This is just stealing, stealing my time and my money. I'm going to tell everyone how bad their site and service is!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Groupon has great prices, for the worst companies. I have never been rejected so many times to set up an appointment for something I already paid for. It makes Groupon look bad, and customers not wanting to return.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I recently purchased some tickets to a local event. The following day I realized I needed to switch to a different date thus I needed to contact Groupon customer support. Over the past few years Groupon has made it more and more difficult to deal with their Customer Service department. They have since removed their toll-free call in # and rather, force you to use their awful chat support. When I was finally able to get a hold of an agent, the amount of time it took this person to answer simple questions was unacceptably slow. Because their customer support has been outsourced, the agent had a difficult time understanding what I was trying to request from him.

Finally, in frustration I terminated the chat and revisited the website requesting a callback from Customer Support (expected wait time 1 hour). I finally received a callback from an agent and I was told by Groupon that the future showings were sold out and they are unable to issue me a refund or a credit. This has not been the case in the past, I have been in similar situations years ago where Groupon was willing to offer me credit (Groupon "bucks") and in some cases a refund.

I will no longer be doing business with this company and I encourage others to do the same. Although you may find the occasional "bargain" if there are issues with your purchase Groupon has taken a firm stance on not offering refunds or trade-ins. This company no longer seems to care about the customer, as they once did, as evidenced by their abysmal "customer service" process and the fact they flat out refuse to offer refunds now.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I bought a Groupon coupon. When it was time to use it, the link provided didn't work. The vendor's help-line phones went unanswered for almost 40 minutes. I called Groupon. They verified that the link was a bad one, and that the phones went unanswered. In essence, the coupon was worthless! But... For reasons that were very complicated, Groupon refused to give a refund. Or even a credit towards another coupon. Bad deal!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Don't use Groupon no matter what you do! False advertising by omission. We recently bought an overnight package for Maui Sands in Sandusky, Ohio. No mention that the waterslides were all closed! Get there and nothing to even do. No breakfast included and then the place made you pay for coffee filters for the in room coffee pot. Don't' use Groupon.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Ordered a deal for Noah's bagels... Had to click to get deal. The code would not work. Contacted Groupon. Was told to notify Noah's... Noah's sent me back to Groupon. Just gave up since no one seemed to think it was their issue.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

So Groupon ripped me off. 95 was suppose to be credit in Groupon bucks or into CC. I had explained to them I canceled that CC and changed banks. But they said bank issue now. Called and looked up bank things when closed account. Sent them all information and said, "Not our issue". So they kept my money and then get nothing. But I see they only have one star. Reason ripping people off.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My mother booked a room through Groupon for our vacation, using a PayPal card. That PayPal card was stolen from within the next couple of days. So Groupon cancelled our order without notifying us. Thank God we checked the reservation or else we wouldn't have had a place to stay. We then started researching other hotels and we clicked on one for 150 a night and since the website wouldn't load we clicked again and it booked the hotel. So we were being charged for a hotel we didn't want.

So we go on a chat room with a tech and she told us there was nothing she could do because the cancellation window had passed even though that deadline was the day we accidentally booked it. She kept saying wait 1-2 business days. She was using talking points, not really trying to understand the problem. This company is awful at customer assistance and now my family is scammed out of a lot of money and we have to stay at a hotel that we could've gotten for much MUCH less. This experience was just awful to have to deal with at 11 pm on a Tuesday.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

What consumers say

We don’t hear a lot about Groupon at ConsumerAffairs. This generally is a sign that, while there may be occasional problems, there is no single issue, or group of issues, that irk consumers.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information

www.groupon.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use