1.08/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Groupon

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

1040 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I ordered a special rate through Groupon for 26 wks. (6 mo.) for the Dallas Morning News. After the time expired charges continued on my credit card without any authorization. I contacted the News and spoke to a supervisor (Veronica) that stated Groupon authorized the charges, not the newspaper. She stated the order was done through them, and they had the card info. etc.

To resolve the issue I needed to contact them. I asked for a verification of that in writing, so that when I contacted Groupon I would have her statement. Of course, her answer was, no, nothing in writing. I am trying to contact Groupon for an explanation, but no phone # to call, Chat ended the conversation because my explanation was taking too long, waiting for response from email now. But not expecting much, other than it was "the newspaper charging your card without authorization" not us. If the outcome is different will update. Regardless, this is my last purchase from Groupon, and should not have happened. There was no fine print about reoccurring charges, I checked.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I purchased an item. Next day received an email that my credit card has problem. I need to update or add a new card. I added a new card. Next day I still got the same email. I was not sure it was just repeated reminder or my other card is also declined. Groupon told me problem was with my card and they cannot charge the other card either and order needs to be canceled. (With credit score of 850/850 my cards are never declined). I called (actually requested them to call me). They told me my card was declined so they have to cancel my order and I can buy same item again. I called my credit card company and was told that there is no problem with card or me. Groupon took the charge back so I can talk to them. Yes I did and closed my account with Groupon.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Bought 2 coupons for restaurants in Daytona Beach, Fla, while on vacation- October 2017. In both cases, coupons were not honored by the restaurants. In, the first case they claimed I had to return after 6:30 pm when they finished serving lunch. They had no trade nor did they seem to be serving anyone at 4:45 pm. In fact, there were no staff - except for the one employee, tables were pushed against the walls, showed no activity that demonstrated lunch was being served. The second restaurant was suppose to be open at noon. When I showed up at about 4 pm it was locked up. Groupon refused to refund my money. Offered me Groupon credit. I told them it was unacceptable!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a Groupon for wine. When I tried to redeem the Groupon, Wine Insiders said they they would not ship to Hawaii, where I live. I contacted Groupon customer service via chat where I was told the supervisors would get back with me, after 5 days and several attempt to get back in touch with customer service, nothing. I will NEVER use this site again. I've gone through hours and hours of my time trying to get my money refunded, to no avail!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My daughter was turning 9 and we invited multiple families to join us at Wisconsin Dells Kalahari Resorts. We all used the Groupon app to purchase the room on the same night. Multiple of the families arrived at Kalahari Resorts Wisconsin Dells only to find out that their room had somehow been booked in Ohio. When you clicked on the Groupon it only showed a page that said this page is no longer available... Printing the details or the confirmation was not an option. The hotels were willing to switch the rooms however since group Groupons customer service is unable to contact the reservation area except by email and it was a Friday night we got no response and no help from their customer service.

Being an avid user of Groupon for at least 5 plus years I'm utterly disappointed with the lack of care for the customer and the quality of the site. There was obviously a site error. We all had to purchase new rooms at full price. We are currently disputing and requesting a refund and getting very little response from Groupon. Stating that since the date has passed they can't do anything about it. So not only did I have to pay double for the one night stay at Kalahari Resorts but I also have to pay for a night in Ohio Resort that we did not go to. One night will have now cost me $545.00. on top of the fact that Friday night was basically ruined due to the fact that we had to have 9 kids sit in the hotel lobby and not able to attend the water park or any of the amenities the hotel due to waiting on a response from Groupon 4 hours until we had finally bit the bullet and just paid the double amount.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I placed an order for 4 items which were all shipped separate. 1 was missing so I contacted Groupon. I was told they could not provide me with any additional tracking information so thus time they would credit the money I paid back to Groupon bucks not my credit card. Then told me if any package ever is lost again there will be no refund. They just lost a loyal customer for bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I purchased 3 90-minute jump passes for Sky Zone for my son’s birthday. When we arrived at Sky Zone, it was brought to my attention that I had bought them for the wrong state. They could not honor another state’s Groupons, so I had to pay again, full price for 6 kids. They told me to contact Groupon and I would get a refund. Well, with kids and an extremely busy schedule, I finally had time to contact Groupon for my refund; 4 days after purchase. I could not find a phone number to call anywhere, so I did the live chat. I was told I could not get a refund due to the fact that they have a 3-day refund policy. I argued a little and advised them again that I don't even live in the state these are issued to. Not even close.

After still being refused a refund, I asked if they could exchange them for my local Sky Zone. Again was refused. I then asked for a phone number to call so I could speak with a manager, and was told "Sorry, there is nothing more I can do for you." Very poor business ethics! I will never use Groupon again because of this. The least they could have done was an exchange or even a Groupon credit to my Groupon account. I literally threw away $78.00. Better to be safe and pay full price than to end up losing money!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Order a weight bench. The Chinese merchant sent a set of shelves. Merchant was unresponsive for 6 days. Contacted customer service and they have taken an additional 4 days of back and forth emails and wanting us to send pictures (had to send by email because you cannot post to their site). Have spoken with 4 different people. Time zone differences because they must be in Asia. Had to actually give them the ticket number because they can't see it. Now they say it will take another 2 days for them to contact the merchant to get a return label. Have they ever heard of Amazon? I will never use them again and you shouldn't either. Horrible experience.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

It took me 5 phone calls to get a campaign to go live! Phone calls that lasted 15-20 min. After they had completely eviscerated that campaign I chose to try once more. Now if you wish to start a new campaign you cannot do it from your merchant service account but have to log out and go through the entire process of creating a new account and then they are merged. So I did so, was forced to re-enter the business info again and make my new campaign. Well sure enough day before the "launch date" came I had still heard nothing from them that the campaign was ready to be launched.

Finally after more phone calls I was able to see the campaign they had ready and sure enough it was completely wrong AGAIN. The chosen picture and business category had also changed. The customer service reps were very short and unprofessional. I now understand why! Taking phone calls after phone calls from upset customers. I can't blame them. The time spent to get the campaign would have been better spent with me going door to door, literally that is not a joke. Avoid like the plague!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Bought an item on Groupon. Seller shipped a different item. Emailed seller, no responses for 2 days. Contacted Groupon, they said to just wait. On the third day, seller responded and said to send a photo of the wrong item, in which I did. Waited 2 days, nothing back. Contacted Groupon via chat, they gave me a runaround that they cannot see any details about this complaint on the order. I gave them the complaint ticket number. They said that this is between me and the seller, and that I should work it out with the seller. I asked Groupon how can I get their help if the seller is non-responsive? The response was: "Is there anything I can help you today?" I said: "No you haven't helped me with this issue yet." The rep agent then asked for my ticket number. I gave it to him. The next thing I received was "Thank you" and he ended the chat conversation.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Bought two iPad Pro's. Supposed to be refurbished "grade A". One works great. The other has both a bad battery and a defective screen. I know one is taking a risk buying a refurbished item, but clearly no one even bothered to try to turn this one on. What is "refurbished"? Take junk that someone returned and put it in a box and ship it out? Getting the defective unit was bad; inexcusable. What was worse however was the fact that the company doesn't even have a working phone or email to contact to complain.

I got a return label for my product, but their customer complaints are so vast, I don't believe they will actually ever credit me the near $700 I paid for this. I may pay to have it repaired rather than risk sending it back and get no refund. Groupon is fine if you don't mind taking a risk and throwing away $50 or $75. But to trust them with more than a grand? I was really a fool. I bought on impulse having the false impression this was a reputable institution. Better off trusting someone off Craigslist. This company needs to go out of business.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I bought moving service from Groupon but the moving company refuse to do the service on the day I want. By that time 3 days pass and Groupon will not refund your money. They tell you gifted to one of your friends.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Bought a foldable bicycle which promised free return policy, however, when I tried to return it, I get a different response from a different customer service rep each time telling me that I have to pay for the return/ have to contact the merchant/ can only get Groupon credits back/ etc. None of them can simply send me the return label in order for me to send it back. Extremely frustrating and misleading as they do not abide by their policies!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Ever since Groupon stop letting us get a hold of them by phone the place is gone downhill. I used to order from them all the time and the customer service was awesome. Now I have lost so much money due to not being able to get a hold of people. I've been trying to reach someone for over a month now and no response. This place is ridiculous now.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

When you buy a duct cleaning package for your home, you think you are going to get your ducts cleaned. Not so. First of all, it took the company more than six months to get in touch with me. After we set an appointment, a very nice young man came to my house and explained he would not clean my ducts unless I paid $380.00 more. Something about moisture and not being able to guarantee the cleaning if I got sick. I have lived in that house for 40+ years and I have never gotten sick from my duct work. So this company is buying prospects through Groupon, and you are paying for you to become a prospect. When I tried to get my money back from Groupon they said my Groupon had expired, even though it very clearly states on the company website that Groupons do not expire! DO NOT FALL FOR THIS RIPOFF!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Groupon by far is the WORST Online Marketplace I have ever done business with. People complain about eBay? Nah this takes the ball by a mile. Every single Ticket Opened by a customer has to be discussed within Groupon which it is understandable but how they expect a Ticket to be properly resolved or addressed when the customer CANNOT attach pictures of the issues they seem to be having with their products. So Groupon just believes 100% what the customer says and refunds the customer and a Big ** You to the seller.

How is it possible that they have not created a way which customers can discuss and send pictures to us so we can validate the return with a refund? So I had customers say "Item arrived Broken", "Item does not work", "Item not as advertised", and Groupon automatically refunds them without any proper proof. But I see Groupon does this kind of scamming business only with us sellers because they seem to be losing a lot of their customers. (Not because of Third-Party Sellers) but because of their fraudulent practices.

Now they also take 15% out of Postage? How is that in any way reasonable or understandable. So you are taking 15% of PROFIT from SHIPPING which the seller obviously does NOT profit from. Also, every time you try calling them or open a Ticket with them, their Support Agents take FOREVER to answer and if they do, they seem not to have the mental capacity or logic to understand an issue.

Especially an Agent called Nina, what a waste of air. She is rude, unlogical and have suspended countless of accounts only because her opinion is the right one. I have over 10+ colleagues who have had their accounts suspended by her over simple things where Amazon or eBay wouldn't have mind. I doubt there is any thought or consideration put on her wild decisions.

She should have a manager approve her every move. If she keeps going like this, Groupon may even run out of third party sellers. She capitalizes everything, immediately suspends accounts at once (normally because of one disagreement) and wants to teach and talk about customer service when she is the worst at service towards a Groupon Seller. They are all a Joke, I'm definitely sticking with Amazon, at least Agents there talk to sellers and buyers with respect, courtesy and professionalism.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Bought rug cleaning service... NOwhere did it say you have 3 days to ask for refund. When I found out I would have to wait for 30 days to get a spot in the services rotation, I decided to cancel the contract. Was told to go thru Groupon. The cleaning company has no ability to cancel that service???? Groupon NO PHONE NO EMAIL just a "help" tab that sent me to terms of purchase... NO REFUNDS AFTER 3 DAYS... Such BS. Contacted my bank and they said they have had "a lot" of requests for non payment against Groupon. Absolutely no way to contact... Found email in the minutia print sent... Nothing. My hope for this company is to go under quick. Thieves.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I ordered a Honda generator from Groupon. 5 days later the order was cancelled for no reason. I placed a new order for the same item, thinking it was an error to be cancelled. I paid over $500 each time. Groupon no longer has phone support so I had sent numerous communications via chat to report the problem. Eventually, I received an email from Groupon stating that the merchant was fraudulent and my money would be refunded. One order was, but I am having trouble getting the 2nd one refunded. All I get are apologies via chat from reps who are clueless. I even try to escalate to a supervisor. I am getting nowhere. I have spent hours on chat. I am very frustrated. Groupon was quick to take my money but is refusing to give it back.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Worst company so far! Purchase 800$ TV. They tricky and sent a different model. Filed for return. They sent me USPS 1st class return label! THIS IS BY ITSELF IS A POSTAL FRAUD! Complained, wasted time. After that they send FEDEX label and now they saying they can’t find it. Hassle me, no money after 45 days. AVOID THESE GUYS AT ALL COST!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I purchase the Groupon deals on my one of the other account. They made an error and deleted my account. Now I can't access my account or deal voucher. I sent an emails. Initially they responded then response stopped. I sent many emails but no response. I have a case number **. I have no way to call them or talk to higher level i.e. supervisor to get this resolved. Unfortunate. My Groupon will expire as well as no way to get the refund as long as they don't respond to email. Is there a way to get help to get my money back?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Purchased a table from Groupon, the corner is warped, there were holes missing for screws on several components and a massive deep scratch down front of chair leg. Contacted them and they offered £20 Groupon credit or I physically arranged and paid for the return. After threatening with trading standards they offered to collect and told me to choose my 3 dates between Mons. and Sats. I chose 3 Saturdays to be told due to a technical error I couldn't have any did those dates and to choose from midweek dates. Advised I was away and the wife works half hour away 9-5 and as they could only say collection would be between 9 am and 8 pm and they couldn't be more specific. I advised it would have to be a Saturday, lo and behold been a week now and no response to my emails. Not impressed, I advise everyone to stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchased/booked a Groupon for Sheraton Dallas Galleria for a romantic getaway a night in Sept 2017. I had my confirmation, but the day of, I called Sheraton to verify and was Informed there was no booking and there was none available for what I had already purchased. Attempted several calls to reach Groupon, but no answer. Sent emails also. 2 days after, Groupon returns my email, but states They will not refund, because Sheraton refused to issue a refund for a stay that never happened. Contacted Sheraton, who stated they haven't talked to Groupon and they never showed a booking for such. Groupon will screw you over given the chance.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I purchased 2 massage packages, and unfortunately the owner passed away over a month ago. I contacted Groupon to let them know & ask for a refund. Not only is it EXTREMELY difficult to get a live person in Customer Service (they encourage people to use email, which I did at first, and when I received NO responses looked for another option, which the only other option was live chat.) So I chatted with them twice now, the first time being 2 weeks ago, and was assured I would receive an email re: the progress. Today I live chatted with another agent & she said they were waiting for confirmation from the Merchant. Tell, me... how is THAT going to happen when he has passed away!!? I asked her, and she responded that I would hear from them in 2 days via email re: confirmation. They must have a direct link to a list of the people who are in heaven!!! The vouchers expire Oct. 5, 2017.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I got signed up for Sam's Club and I paid Groupon. Sam's Club said that I needed a code from Groupon. I never got explanation on how to get a code number. Now I am out the money that Groupon quickly took out of my checking account. I want my hard earned money back.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have ordered from Groupon many times and have always been satisfied with the service. There was always a phone number and a rep to help with any problem. That's no longer the case, and although the site says to email, forget about it. There's no response. There's no way to contact them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Groupon Store fantasty2017. Purchased a BT speaker which shipped directly from Korea. This was not disclosed in the Ad and against Groupon Store’s Policy. The volume on the unit is too low in the vehicle I purchased it for and therefore unusable. I have been trying to return in accordance with Groupon policy and you cannot get a return label. You get a message that says "oops our server is overloaded try again later."

You cannot contact Groupon directly only through their site by opening a ticket. You keep getting the runaround between the seller who says every unit is checked before leaving Korea? And it is not possible the volume is too low. The external box was half crushed on its long journey so anything is possible. This sale did not total $20 but Groupon is willing to lose a long time customer over it. The seller I feel is disreputable and Groupon does nothing. They have thousands of online complaints against them. This is my last Groupon Transaction. Stick with Amazon for no hassle returns. Groupon is poorly run!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I had purchased a Groupon for massage worth 80$ for "Get massage now". When I tried to set up an appointment I was informed that the Groupon is only valid for MON/TUE/WED before 12:30 pm. I have a full-time job and won't be use this Groupon because of the limitations. When asked for a refund, I was told they cannot refund me. They recommend me to give it as a gift to someone. My issues is why not be transparent and let the customer know the time/day limitations the Groupon comes with. In my view Groupon is getting paid but the customer is not receiving the service, which is a fraud.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Purchased DrePowerBeats3 from Groupon. They lasted the warranty period, 90 Days and then won't charge. They said they can't help me. GROUPON sells refurbished garbage and then doesn't stand behind it.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

They take a 4% credit card processing fee out of my half of profits from the deal. They don't tell me this upfront, but hide it in the fine print of the merchant agreement. They also discount my deal on random days which affects my profit up to 20%. Again, they didn't make this clear up front but curtly say, "It's in your merchant agreement" when I complained. So on any given day, I am making a lousy 26% instead of 50%. Groupon is officially the worst. They are so excited, attentive and accessible before you've signed the agreement. After, you're just left with questions of why your profits at 1/3 what they should be. Crooks. Honestly.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I bought three Groupons for the same restaurant. I went to the restaurant once and didn't like the food and asked for my money back for the other two Groupons. Groupon said they wouldn't refund my money because I had to cancel within three days. In order to do that I would have had to have three meals at the same restaurant within three days. That's just not reasonable. I will be cancelling my Groupon account.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

What consumers say

We don’t hear a lot about Groupon at ConsumerAffairs. This generally is a sign that, while there may be occasional problems, there is no single issue, or group of issues, that irk consumers.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.
    • Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.
    • Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.
    • Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.
    • Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.
    • Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).
    • Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses
    Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
    Erin Huffstetler

Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information