Groupon

Compare Deal Websites

Research top Deal Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a set of kitchen knives on Groupon. The description claimed it was a set of "5 knives with a magnetic block"! Which is exactly what I wanted so I ordered it. When it came, it was just the knives. I went to the Groupon chat and asked about it. They tried to appease me with 10 Groupon bucks, which is absolutely insulting. When I declined they said there was nothing they can do. I asked how is ok that they falsely advertise things and basically got a "sorry about your luck!" I then went to their Facebook page and got a hearty "sucks to be you!" So apparently, they have no ethical reason to advertise things as they are, and if they do, well too bad for you for believing them. In a world where we have so many places to choose from to shop, why would anyone have customer service as bad as this? Stay away from the Groupon goods!

I booked a hotel through Groupon for 4 nights in NYC. The Royal Park hotel, which by the way is a royal piece of poo. And Groupon, a majestic pile of poo for condoning and backing up this atrocious way of handling customers. I thought I was purchasing a double ensuite with park views, if you look up their offer on Groupon it's this beautiful picture of Central Park and one of its huge beautiful ponds with buildings in the background. When I get to the hotel, first it's hard to tell that it's a hotel, looks more like a residential building. The staff look like residents who live in the building and rolled out of bed to work their shift, no uniform, no professionalism whatsoever. When I check in they hand me an actual key on a key chain to our room. The hallway floors were filthy and stained. The place looked cheaper and nastier than a motel where prostitution is the real standing business. My view in the room was another wall to the building behind us.

There was no safe in the room. The bed took up 85% of the room. The bathroom was very small, only one person fits in it at a time. My hands which are small took up the whole sink. No cups, no water. And I can go on and on and on. I did not stay the night. I did not feel safe or comfortable. I do not leave the comfort of my home and pay to stay somewhere beneath the standards of my own home. I checked out maybe 2 hours later while I was disputing this disappointment with Groupon which they told me would take some time to investigate. It is about 15 degrees outside and snowing and have to now find other accommodations in the cold.

When I went to check out and expressed my disappointment, the guy at their "front desk" was not a bit surprised, nor did he even try to stop me or accommodate my expectations, simply told me that Groupon would have to refund me my money and did not give me a confirmation that I had checked out. I continue my complaint with Groupon, they give me the runaround asking information they already had like under whose name was the reservation under. This all started January 7th 2017, today is the 12th and they respond via email telling me they were not authorized by the hotel to give me my refund!!!

We are the business owner, after Groupon charge your business high percentage of margin, they do not care what's happening next. When need to talk to someone to modify the deal we have, their account manager, that's what they call them, never pick up their phone, never reply. What sort of company is this?

I placed an order of 2 set of Diamond earrings. I had an appraisal done on both sets. One set claimed to be 3/4 carat and a VS1 and VS2 (good clarity) clarity, the appraisal came back and the carats was 0.64 and the clarity was I1 (bad clarity). The other set of Diamonds is supposed to be 1.5 carats and the appraisal came back at 1.30 carats. I have the receipts from Groupon and appraisal with me if needed to be provided. If I would have not done the appraisal I would have been stuck with these Diamonds that are not what I supposedly paid for.

Groupon has the WORST customer service and many other issues that will leave you disappointed or wishing you went another route. Their customer service 'people' are in far away lands and are more ROBOTIC than human. You will never get to speak to a real person. Your products will be lost or come broken. The services will always be most basic that do NOT cover what you thought you were getting and you will be UPSOLD on all services purchased through GROUPON for more than double of your Groupon price you originally paid. DO NOT support a company that does NOT care about customers or clarity or product quality. It is a BIG RIP OFF - do not bother to waste your time, energy or money. You will NOT be satisfied AND you are supporting jobs in far away countries that do not understand or value customers or even have a HUMAN TOUCH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

I purchased a iPhone from Groupon and after 1 month I started having all kinds of problems but could never get satisfaction from Groupon other than sorry it's my problem. I finally took the phone to apple and they said the phone was purchased in 2014 and returned back to the dealer in late 2014 with problems. Will Groupon purchased the phone as refurbished and passed the problems on to me to cut the story short. So therefore I lose over 400.00 etc. Very unhappy. Please people do not buy from Groupon please.

Groupon kind of screwed me over five years ago. So I tried it again - five years later. I bought a Nutrisystem meal pack. My promo code did not work!! So, I called Customer Service. They told me I needed to contact Nutrisystem. This is the exact same problem I had five years ago! They do not stand behind their deals. They tell you to contact the main company if anything is not working! But they are the ones that sold you the product. Complete scam. This company takes no responsibility. Just collects money and says "See ya later!" I will never use this company.

I purchased a massage voucher. The vendor who provides the service is missing in action. You are unable to catch them at the location, not able to leave a voice mail because it is full, and no response via email. I contacted Groupon and have gotten this 'canned' response 3 times...'We would recommend for you to retry to redeem this Groupon. As per checking on the redemption instructions you just need to present it at the location of the vendor. Once you're there no need to set an appointment.'

It's clear they are completely ignoring/avoiding the issue since the problem is that I am not able to contact them! If I could this would be a moot point. It's clear they take no responsibility for the vendors they back. The fact that Groupon is the face for these Vendors and allow them the freedom to provide poor customer service without backing THEIR customer and THEIR brand is an extremely terrible business practice. I can say that going forward I will never use Groupon for any purpose.

I purchased a voucher for Exquisite Mobile Detailing. When I called to make an appt they explained that it is only a quick inside cleaning and vacuuming of the car (not outside). Upon reviewing the "fine print" the voucher does indicate outside cleaning, inside conditioning/shampooing, etc. They tried to get me to upgrade my service if I wanted outside cleaning or conditioning/shampooing. When I voiced my complaint to them they asked me to take it up with Groupon as that is what the fine details should indicate.

I called Groupon and described the discrepancy and they said if no refund is requested within 3 days that a refund cannot be given. They would not hear any further concerns or complaints from me and decided the issue to be resolved. I will no longer be purchasing further products from Groupon. If I see that a price is given on Groupon, I will call the company directly to find the details and ask if I can purchase directly from them with no third party involvement.

I purchased a house cleaning Groupon 11/21/16 and I have called them and left messages about 7 times with no reply. I contacted Customer Service in mid-December and was told that they were able to get a hold of them, and would be contacted by them in 2 to 3 business days. Still nothing. I'm chatting with Groupon now and they refuse to resolve, and told me to send an email to Customer Service. This is beyond my control and refuse to help me.

Tried to purchase a backpack. I received an email saying "purchase not complete" so I order again. Yes there is money in my card. Groupon sent me six emails saying purchase not complete. Then three days later they charge me five times!! Call email. Customer service is obviously not a priority for Groupon. I explain that I have the emails and times I order and never authorized them to keep charging me. The rep said, "Oh, return it." Takes forty-five days to get my money back. Omg! I am so upset. Fraud fraud fraud.

I first started using Groupon a couple months ago when I discovered a mystery comic book t-shirt pack for cheap on there. I was like "sure, why not?" The shirts were of very high quality and quality selection of design. I was hooked. I ordered more stuff on there. Some cheap earbuds that I quickly lost track of because of how disorganized I am, some pairs of shorts, more shirts, a very fine and mystery selection of comic books. There was a lot of them in the pack for the price, I was pleased. I also bought a refurbished iPhone 6 for very cheap and have been using it for 3 months now and it works great. However until recently, I noticed the site was not without flaws.

First of all, there is no way to check reviews on almost any of the products so an item being a good deal or too good to be true is anyone's guess. This is particularly strange because you can rate items and write reviews. Where those reviews go, who knows? This wasn't a problem until recently I ordered some phone accessories. A charging case and an anti gravity case. The charging case works as desired, no complaints there. The anti gravity case though was an overpriced gag on the buyer. First of all the case is worth $3 on eBay. The same exact case that Groupon is selling for $10. That's more than 3x the price. Also it barely sticks to the walls of my house, it only sticks to some even though they are all the same smooth texture and material.

It only guaranteedly sticks to windows/glass. The rest is a gamble if you would let your phone drop to the floor. As a case, it works good. It absorbed the shocks when my phone impacted against the ground after failing to stick to the wall. Good thing it was carpet though. In all, though I have more to be happy than sad about. After many purchases, this is their first hiccup with me. I gambled for an iPhone and I got an iPhone. I gambled for 2 very cool phone cases but only got 1. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

I ordered a gift for a client and one for myself. I went to check the address and phone number. Called with the number being disconnected! Drove there and no signed office and suite number. I called Groupon the same day 12/22 and they told me I had to wait several days to get a callback after investigating. Nothing to investigate! Someone screwed up at Groupon. Just refund my money. I lost a client over this embarrassing event and was charged another massage on top so they owe me at least $90! Been told they'd give me a credit. I want my money back. I had to buy a more expensive massage elsewhere!!

I bought massages as a gift, a packet of 3. The person I gave it to said the availability was bad and gave it back. I tried to use it myself, had the same experience. Plus, the folks on the phone are not great to talk to. They sound tired and rude, not like someone you would want to give you a massage at all. Jasmine ** told me no dice on refund or on exchange. So $$ down the drain. Don't do business with Groupon local service unless you call and talk to the vendor prior to buying the groupon or you could be wasting your $$.

We purchased $80 Groupon for interior and exterior car wash. When we contacted the vendor, he asked us to pay $100 extra. We refused and asked him to do any service that he can accept for this coupon. He did not provide any service. When we contacted Groupon they refused to help and mentioned that vendor has redeemed the coupon. This entire Groupon is poncy scheme. It's a big scam.

Nearly as bad as the old "bait and switch." Spent a couple of hours on the phone to be able to apply a promo code (it was correct, applicable and hadn't expired). They are all in Manila and there is no available chat. This is usually is quite ok for someone liberal. This time, a couple folks didn't understand a word of English. Finally one person who walked me through how to obtain the promo code and they either didn't know or lied. Then after the full-price order was placed, I phoned to have the code applied and was "offered" the credit in Groupon bucks. This is truly the worst!

I was considering becoming a merchant, but now I would never do this because of this experience as a consumer. I am so sorry I didn't read the other reviews or I wouldn't have ever tried to buy from these people. They figure if 100 people are ripped off a few dollars only a couple will actually object and of those, only 1 won't take their "groupon bucks." Unfortunately they came upon me. No refund, no nothing. Just "I understand how you feel." Thank goodness it was on a recorded line!

I've been trying to purchase a Groupon for nearly 3 hours now but they seem adamantly against taking my money. The order was left on "processing" for a full hour before it set itself to failed without any kind of notification. Customer service (which is from India and terrible English) gave me the helpful advice of "deleting my cookies" which did absolutely nothing. I've tried three different cards and even created a new account. Nothing. This has happened to me before with this company yet for some reason I keep coming back like an idiot.

I purchased a voucher as a gift for a meal for 4 people Waterfront Port Melbourne for my parents and sister and brother in-law. My sister made a booking and they said that if she didn't use the voucher by Jan 07 2017 she would lose it. I contacted groupon for a refund and now they say that unless I accept a Groupon credit I can't get a refund. I am still waiting for delivery of my son's christmas present which they said would take 2 to 5 days. I ordered it on the 14th Dec, and here we are almost the new year and still no parcel.

The fine print of Groupon is where I have found the limitations. Recently I bought a Noah's bagels coupon and it was not stated in the fine print that it could only be used in Chicago. I bought it under the local deals area of the Groupon that I used to look at several times a week. I tried so many ways to contact Groupon within their website but I could never move the process along from one screen to the next. I found a way to get their general email and left this message. Instead of responding, I get a mass email that says they have extended the deadline for me to use my coupon. I tried to respond, and, of course, it is a no reply email, just like the way it is from within the website. Of course there is no phone number on the website to call. So of course, I unsubscribed. No loss for me.

DO NOT PURCHASE from Groupon. I ordered a Xmas gift from Groupon and it arrived broken due to poor packaging. Groupon will not send me info on who actually sold me the item but wants me to send it back to the manufacturer. Why should the manufacturer be responsible for packaging from an online retailer? After ordering there is absolutely NO communication either. No emails stating what was purchased. Nothing. Also, there are no receipts and no paperwork that comes with the product showing how much I was charged or who I purchased it from. Amazon is the best way to buy with confidence.

Let's be clear—I have ordered a couple dozen products/deals from Groupon over the past few years. Some have been of good value while others have been nicely dressed junk. When it comes to actual, physical products, I find that Groupon is a peddler of stuff most other places can't sell. Honestly, I feel the best things to purchase from Groupon are discounted tickets and restaurant deals. If you already plan on going those places, the reduced prices are nice. Otherwise, I'd avoid them after what I've gone through recently.

Once an item is purchased, delivery can be sketchy. Case in point: I ordered a set of blackout curtains for my daughter for Christmas. Don't ask me why she wanted them so badly, but she did. Being of modest means, this would entail the majority of her presents from us as parents, so we were relying on this coming through for us. Buying them Dec. 11th, delivery was slated to be around the 18th to 20th. On the 22nd, I started to worry a bit, so I contacted Groupon. Getting hold of Groupon's contact info is a bit tricky and takes some searching, but I finally got through to them after waiting for 45 minutes.

All I ever heard from their customer support folks was that they weren't sure where the package was even though it was showing up as delivered in their system. They had difficulty finding my email address (as others have mentioned), the background of their support center was chaotic, and the phone connection was horrible. After repeating myself over and over, the lady pretending to help me finally looked up delivery info.

FedEx said the product was delivered in the final stage by USPS, but nobody could explain why the box was not actually at my home. We had 2+ people at the home both days they thought it was delivered and our dog goes bonkers when someone even approaches our doorstep. Groupon's solution? Give me a refund if it doesn't show up the day before Christmas. Okay, so I get my money back, I get it. But the day before Christmas when I was ordering online to avoid the madness? Not cool. This level of shady business is not alright in my books. I will now begin the search for another company that handles its issues more promptly without screwing up major gift-giving.

STAY FAR AWAY FROM GROUPON. The month of December has been a horrible experience with Groupon Goods! I have a flood of concerns and recommend to all DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. I will start with this last situation that is just unconscionable that any reputable company would allow to happen. Advertised was a Michael Kors WOMEN'S classic watch. The first sku number on the initial listing was different than when a selection was made but the description remained Women's classic. What arrived was a huge watch when compared to my other women's classic was very different. I decided to research the sku number of my selection and it indeed is a MEN'S watch. The sale on the site was final sale but what I received was not what was advertised.

Groupon chat said they needed pictures and asked me to reply to an email. I sent my concern with various pictures of what was advertised. Their response to the email indicated it was a final sale and I should read the fine print. THAT IS FALSE ADVERTISING. I have not faith or trust that what you are reading to make your purchase decision is truthful nor correct. I will NOT be purchasing from them using my hard earned money.

Of course this is only the last issue. If you order multiple quantities of a product VERY RARELY does the correct number of items get to you. But customer service says "our records show that the package was delivered. You need to reach out to the delivery company." I irately responded that FedEx does not fulfill the order they deliver. Now I have credit to use in items I am unsure will be 1) what I intended to order and/or 2) actually arrive to me. STAY FAR AWAY FROM GROUPON. Use Amazon. At least their customer service reads your issue and responds with solution that fit your concern. Groupon copies and pastes verbatim what is on their site regardless if it fits the concern you are trying to address.

My first contact asking for the refund was just 2 days after the 3-day refund grace period. The voucher I purchased has the business charging me an additional $15 which I was not going to spend. I contacted them asking for the refund and they kept telling me about the 3 day refund grace period. I spoke with a manager or supervisor named Trevor **. He refuse to give me his last name. He just reiterated their 3-day refund period. I told him my situation and also the fact that I wasn't even able to call on the weekend to cancel my order and get my refund. He still just reiterated their refund policy. I'm not using my voucher nor do I intend to use it since the company is charging me an additional $15. I just want my refund. It's been less than a week since the voucher was purchased and I haven't used the services and I can't get MY money back that belongs to ME? Thieves!

I purchased a refurbished GSM unlocked iPhone 6 64GB from Groupon. I received the item within the shipping time and was satisfied with the purchase, until yesterday. It's been about 38 days since I made the purchase and believed that the standard 90 day warranty applies (industry standard on refurbished units) to the purchase, but when I tried to get support for the phone, I was received by a huge surprise to which I was informed that there is nothing that they could do. I spoke to Marvinne ** via the online chat support. She explained the following to me. "The vendor has responsibility on their valued customers like you that's why we could have this rectified if this has been returned or checked within 14 days. I would also advise though to purchase brand new items to avoid these kind of circumstances." Really...this is a lesson learned. NEVER...EVER purchase from Groupon.

Bought a surf lesson and also a Pearl Harbour Tour while our stay in Hawaii. Surf lesson could not be booked as was booked out while our stay in Hawaii. Pearl Harbour Tour was not met by the Supplier as they did not turn up to pick us up from the hotel as booked. When finally we got in contact with the Supplier, they advised us that they no longer had the licence to conduct the tour. On our return home to Australia, wrote to Customer Service at Groupon and with may e-mails back and forward, they kept on advising that they do not refund after 3 days, even though I kept on advising them that the Suppliers did not meet their needs.

Finally they agreed after 2 weeks to give us a refund to our Groupon Account, that doesn't help me as who knows when I will be returning to Hawaii. I asked if they could refund the money to my credit card, but they didn't, so now I have credits on my Groupon Account and who knows when I will ever use them. With the experience that we had, they first of all upset all our plans we had and then had to book everything in Hawaii which took up most of the day. Will not recommend Groupon.

I purchased two pieces of jewelry as Christmas presents on Nov. 24, 2016. On Dec. 9, 2016 I received email confirmation that one of the two items had been shipped. On Dec. 21, 2016 I had received no items so I called the support line and they said they didn't know where they were (full refund provided). However, they also shared that the second item was never shipped despite my credit card being charged!! Sounds like the merchant was the problem... My guess is that the merchant probably does this sort of thing all the time and then just hopes that people won't follow up because it is too much of a hassle. Oh well... First and probably last time with Groupon and have to go shopping again for more presents but at least they promised a reimbursement.

I'm adding my two cents because I can see most people come here with complaints. I was searching for info on Groupon's g-pass ticket system and it lead me here. I have been a Groupon customer for nearly ten years. In all that time I've only had two bad experiences. We purchased a $6 discount Groupon for a local business and they don't seem to be in business anymore. Groupon will not respond or refund our money. It's not a huge deal because, hello? It's $6. But the problem is the deal is still offered when you look it up.

We had a bad experience with a specific business that did some yard work for a friend. We purchased a Groupon for her for her birthday because she had some health issues and had been unable to do her own yard work. The company wouldn't return phone calls, charged her extra on top of the Groupon, and did a horrible job. I filed a formal complaint with Groupon but again, I notice they are still offering the deal on their site.

Despite those two incidents we have had nothing but fun with our Groupon deals. We frequently buy discount meals for local restaurants (Typically "$20 for $16" or something like that). I've also purchased Old Navy discounts in the past (Although beware! You cannot make returns and get your money back. If you return the items you've lost your money. It's complicated). But by far we have had more positive experiences than negative. I even had one company extend the expiration date because we completely forgot we had purchased it. Always read the fine print, but in general you can get good deals if you use local deals (I've never purchased a product from them, so I cannot speak to that experience. And from what I can tell so far I would stay away from the "g-pass").

On 12/15/16 I purchased 2 tactical flashlights from GroupOn. Today is 12/20/17 and items still have not shipped. GroupOn posted a FedEx tracking # which cannot be found at FedEx site because GroupOn has not shipped the items. Cust ser reps and supervisors at GroupOn tell me that FedEx tracking system is having glitches and not updating. But GroupOn site clearly shows that item has not shipped and also states that all items ship within 2 days. Cust ser rep and supervisor have no ability to tell me when item will ship or expedite the shipping and refuse to allow me to cancel the item. My suggestion is to call your credit card co and place item in dispute. Charge back will be placed on GroupOn and they will have to show proof of package they never sent.

I ordered GoPro on black Friday November 27 and here it is Dec 19 and still waiting for item. It says it was supposed to ship 2 days from order date yet here I am still waiting. Groupon says that it does not know the status of my order or when it will be delivered. No updates or status for this item by Groupon. Really disappointed since this is supposed to be a Christmas gift for my daughter.

I bought Groupon tickets to Sky Zone on my phone. When I get to Sky Zone they tell me they were invalid tickets because they were not for the NJ location I was at, but instead for a Sky Zone in California. When I called Groupon the rep said she would attempt to resolve and would call back within 72 hrs. Never got a callback and now they are saying I am stuck. The one rep even asked me if I would be willing to fly to California and maybe stay at a resort near the Sky Zone. Are you kidding me!

Now I am attempting to take them to small claims court. Absolutely nowhere on the receipt does it say that it's only valid for California and the deal is deceiving itself. This is a crime and I will get my $ back. Now I have had a rep telling me that all supervisors are busy and they can call me back within 48 hrs or I can continue to hold. I chose to hold and asked her how long would it be and she said 5 minutes and have now been waiting 25 minutes. To be continued...

Expert Review

Erin HuffstetlerDeal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.    More about Erin→

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

What consumers say

We don’t hear a lot about Groupon at ConsumerAffairs. This generally is a sign that, while there may be occasional problems, there is no single issue, or group of issues, that irk consumers.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.
  • Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.
  • Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.
  • Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.
  • Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.
  • Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).
  • Best for Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses