2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

3.7/5 (1742 ratings)

About Groupon

Groupon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Definitely a scam company. Criminals. DO NOT USE. They say on their website they have a 14 day return/refund policy, but in the small print of every product they sell it then says that the 14 day refund policy is not valid. No refund policies are not automatically upheld in English & Welsh Law. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and Consumer Contracts Regulations, consumers are entitled to a full refund, without fees, in the same manner used to purchase the product (eg £'s), IRRESPECTIVE of any company policy on refunds. Contract law states that items sold must be as described and fit for purpose. I purchased a Groupon Code for £50 for a specific Tough Mudder Race. However, the code was not valid on the Tough Mudder website.

I contacted Groupon and they said they would only give me ‘Groupon credit’, not cash. I used this to purchase another Groupon code for the same event I wanted. However, this code was also invalid and unusable. I gave Groupon the opportunity to satisfactorily rectify the situation, but ultimately I’ve spent £50 on something not as described or fit for purpose. They have stolen money from many people in this way. My friends who are also trying to book this event have found the same problem with Groupon. They also requested refunds, as they we are entitled to under English contact law, but again Groupon refused to abide by the law. Criminals. Scammers. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I bought a jacket. Took 4 weeks to come then found out it was too small. I ordered xxL and received the jacket. I couldn’t even put on. Too small. I contacted Groupon and because they gave me xxL they said no return. The site for purchase didn’t say sizing is small. SO BEWARE GROUPON DO NOT REFUND. IF I purchased it from a store I would be able to get a refund or exchange but because of lock down you do internet shopping. I will never use Groupon again.

Get buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Groupon is a serious embarrassment for America. In addition to offering the worst customer service imaginable, their policy provides no refunds, no control of your own money in the account wallet, and even takes your money without your consent. My personal experience with their services resulted in a loss of $1000. Fraud!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Groupon may give folks a "great deal" but it does so at the expense of small businesses and merchants. Groupon hid so many ways of being able to skyve money off our ticket prices in the fine print, and didn't even hold to their own "contract" about pricing. Then they find any way they can that they will make more money off holding your hard earned cash "in escrow", or by not enforcing your policies for your own business. I will never be working with them again. Maybe a big company or chain that has enough product to take some losses can use them without breaking the bank, but for me, it was an awful money drain and continuous issue. Please don't buy things from Groupon, if you like something on there just go directly to the merchant and purchase it through them. You'll be saving many businesses.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I purchased a voucher for a dental service. The dentist refused to honor it and said Groupon made the mistake. Groupon said they didn't. Whose mistake it was. It was difficult to get help from the dentist or find help from Groupon. I believe this is a case of false advertising.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Groupon does not honor their “refund promise”. Do not make any reservations for motels/hotels on here because they will not refund you if you chose to cancel. They have done little to nothing to help me cancel my order. The motel had no clean towels and homeless people in the lobby, we choose not to check in and even received a cancellation letter from the motel manager, who said all we needed what the cancellation number to provide to Groupon. The First Lady I chatted with through IM with Groupon said I needed to provide the manager's name in which of course we were not given, she did not care for the letter or cancellation number!

Also, the motel price was cheaper than the Groupon amount. They have now charged my card a larger amount than what the Groupon was originally paid for!! My advice don’t even trust them with any orders, they will not refund you, they barely even offer to exchange the order. I will never use Groupon again!! Instead gonna call my bank to report them for processing an unauthorized order. Shame on them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I Purchased a bunch of event tickets. Right after purchase the events changed location to a completely different state, there is no way we can travel so I contacted support and no refund allowed...complete waste of money, don't buy event tickets. This has happened on more than one occasion...

Original review: July 30, 2021

I had ordered some juice from Groupon. My PayPal was charged $55 and some change and I never received the product. When I asked for a refund my claim was denied. I will never do business for the Groupon again! I now understand why there's so many negative reviews regarding Groupon.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I reached out to Groupon about an issue with credit in my account disappearing. They asked for more info - credits numbers & expiration dates, etc., They responded with a very nasty threatening email stating "Upon review of your account, we have identified a violation of our Terms of Service. Because of this, we have closed your account and request that you discontinue use of our website and services immediately and note that we are preserving all rights to pursue further action—should it be necessary—to preserve the integrity of our program and the best interests of our company." At this point, they have taken money for a product/service I never received. The threat with, "We are preserving all rights to pursue further action—should it be necessary" is not taken lightly by me. I have reached out to them to request an actual reason they decided to just keep my money. No response at the time of this complaint.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I order a Dolce and Gabbana perfume. It never came. Not sure if it was lost in transit or never deliver. They refuse to give me a replacement or refund. They are not reliable or honest company. They are not recommended.

Groupon author review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

by Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information