2. Shopping
  3. Deal Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5
Based on 3,918 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a deal website?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a deal website?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Groupon Reviews

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I always order phone cases, screen protectors and chargers for my phones. They are way cheaper and good quality and I always receive them quickly. I have also used Groupon for family adventure trips such as zip lining and water parks. Never disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I brought an item on Groupon from a third party and I never received it. I could not get in contact with them and had a lot of trouble for over a month. Groupon's customer service refunded me the money and was helpful when the merchant would not respond. Groupon itself is great but the merchants on it should definitely be reviewed before purchasing! Thank god for their customer service though.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I've been using Groupon for many years. I find the deals are always as advertised and I've never been disappointed in my purchases. I let one Groupon lapse past the expiry - but on the Groupon, it stated that the value paid for the Groupon never expired. I tried to redeem it with the vendor and they would not honor it. I reached out to Groupon's Customer Support and I received a response in a reasonable amount of time and they credited me the amount the vendor should have honored. I never hesitate to purchase a Groupon. I've made dozens of purchases, and I've always been pleased!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hornblower San Diego Harbor Bay cruises are a great value for your money when offered through Groupon. I've taken at least two different ones. They have onboard refreshments, open top deck and below deck enclosed seating areas. The commentary is both informative and entertaining. Being on the water you get the opportunity to see naval bases and ships, boats, the harbor and marine life. I recommend this to everyone of all ages.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I purchased a local deal and when I went to use it the manager gave me a lesser product instead of what I purchased and they just stated "it was from last year", just trying to make an excuse and con me out of what I played for even though I have bought it before and used it with no problem! Well I brought the issue up to group and even though the dishonest company marked it redeemed. Groupon went the extra mile and even offered a trade in effort to make up for something that wasn't even their fault. That was really comforting and out of respect I had to decline as it was not Groupon's fault the local business lacked honesty and integrity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Hi, I have bought a Coupon for Oil change from Big O Tire through Groupon.com, I have visited to Big O Tire store # 5268, 155 Linda Mesa Ave Danville CA today for Full Synthetic Oil change and for the same, I have bought a coupon from Groupon.com. Fine Print says on the coupon that "5 qts of oil and filter included in the price of coupon. Additional fee applies for Tax and disposal fees." It was 11.00 am and I told ** that I need to pick up my kids from School at 2.00PM and he said that it will be done in one hour. "We are not that busy." ** started helping me but as soon as he came to know that it's Groupon Coupon, his attitude changed and started behaving differently. From there he has treated me like I don't want to help you.

Finally the order no. ** came and ** was asking me that, "You have to pay $27 on top of Groupon coupon." I asked him, "Why? I have done same oil changed in the past 7 times with same Groupon Coupon and paid $9, On top of $50 Coupon then why this time it's $27." He replied that the 5th qts is not included in the Voucher. (Coupon) I asked him that where it says then he said, "It's somewhere there, you look into it." I checked and found that fine print says that 5th qt is also included but he refused to honor the coupon. And insisted me to pay $27. The order no. ** was printed and he asked me to sign it. Now the Order # ** has amount $117.81 and delivery time 5.00 pm.

I am very much disappointed and taking this matter to small court. I have already filed the complaint to BBB. I will leave my review to YELP also. This is BIG SCAM WITH PROOF of order number # **. Finally I called, sent the message to groupon and they refused to help me. They told me that it's written in the policy that if the merchant don't honor then it between you and Merchant. I have their email saved in my mail box.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I placed an order with Groupon in October. They subsequently used my bank number to charge me monthly payments in a membership. I had no idea such a thing even existed and certainly never authorized these withdrawals from my account. When contacted about this they refused to acknowledge their guilt or refund the funds they had literally stolen from my account. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I needed a smog check done on a Saturday and decided to see what Groupon offered. I quickly found a deal for a place close by that was open on Saturdays. I paid the amount and drove out to the business only to find that it was closed today because the city is working on the street in front of it. I explained the situation to Groupon that the coupon they sold me was to a place that was not open... I needed the smog check done today since they are closed on Sundays and I work Monday through Friday. The best they could do, they said, was allow me to trade the amount for any deal. I realize that neither the business nor Groupon is responsible for the fact that the city chose to work on the street today. However, they should have been more flexible in their refund policy for events such as this. Groupon has lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I bought a refurbished iPhone 7 on Groupon for my mom for her international travels. It indicated that it’s locked to AT&T. Since I know AT&T offers unlocking service to their customers I did not hesitate to purchase it. Unfortunately, when I went to unlock it on AT&T website in preparation for her travels I was informed that it was not locked to AT&T. I called Apple Support and they indicated that it was locked to JAPAN KDDI, and only that carrier can unlock the iPhone.

When I contacted Groupon regarding the issue, they said they’ve sold out on the phones and cannot provide a replacement, but will offer a $5 coupon for my next purchase. When I indicated that the $250 phone is essentially useless and request a solution, they indicated that it’s out of their hand since it has passed the 30-day refund period. But I wasn’t asking for a refund. I just wanted a product as advertised. This is completely unacceptable since they were not selling a product as advertised. And now they are denying responsibility and claim it’s out of the refund window. Don’t buy from Groupon!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

They screwed up on 3 orders. Never refunded my Groupon bucks when I was overcharged and didn’t send out the correct orders! It’s extremely difficult to start a live chat w a rep and once I do nothing gets resolved. I explained to at least 7 reps who all said they would correct it....it’s been a week! The items have now been delivered but they didn’t fix the errors. I even had a manager email me saying he would help but still nothing! I just want what I ordered and the 30 Groupon bucks and check out of Groupon for good!

Not sure about Groupon?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Deal Websites for you.

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

by Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information