3.27/5
Based on 1,577 ratings submitted in the last year

1716 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hornblower San Diego Harbor Bay cruises are a great value for your money when offered through Groupon. I've taken at least two different ones. They have onboard refreshments, open top deck and below deck enclosed seating areas. The commentary is both informative and entertaining. Being on the water you get the opportunity to see naval bases and ships, boats, the harbor and marine life. I recommend this to everyone of all ages.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I purchased a local deal and when I went to use it the manager gave me a lesser product instead of what I purchased and they just stated "it was from last year", just trying to make an excuse and con me out of what I played for even though I have bought it before and used it with no problem! Well I brought the issue up to group and even though the dishonest company marked it redeemed. Groupon went the extra mile and even offered a trade in effort to make up for something that wasn't even their fault. That was really comforting and out of respect I had to decline as it was not Groupon's fault the local business lacked honesty and integrity.

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I just want to say what a fantastic and easy experience I had with your sales rep Kathleen **. She was just a pleasure to deal with. I'm a salesman as well and she provided me with the best customer service I've ever had. Would recommend her to all my friends and family. Thank you Kathleen.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

They purchased a Groupon for an IPL facial and went to the salon to have a done. It turns out that the IPL facial was actually in at home IPL machine and the woman put a red light mask on my face and walked away for half hour. When she came back a big lines all over my face from the mask that hurt and nothing had been accomplished with the IPL machine that was supposed to. I contacted customer service for a refund. The person that help me out was absolutely amazing. They do not argue with me. They do not question me. They were absolutely amazing and gave me a full refund.

I would have been happy with a store credit. I don’t think I have ever been so satisfied with customer service before I use Groupon for everything and I highly recommend them. They have great customer service but the agent I talk to him particular what is exceptionally great! I was having a pretty rough week and Shyaam made it so much better. It is very hard these days to get someone who understands your frustration and Shyaam handled this situation so professionally. If I have any questions or concerns in the future I will personally request Shyaam! Thank you Shyaam!!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Purchased Costco membership from Groupon. Excellent offer provided by Groupon. $60 membership includes 1 box of Cheese Pizza (inside the box 3 medium size full pizza),1 box of popcorn, lime juice of 5 litres, $10 coupon for instore and $10 coupon for online purchase. It was very easy to redeem the coupon at the store. No issues at any step. Keep up the good work Groupon. I am still enjoying the cheese pizza. I will recommend my friends to buy the Groupon Costco membership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Mother’s Day flowers offer online for $20 with discount. No mention of a voucher. Instead of getting flowers for $20 I bought a $40 voucher to discount flowers which I end up paying $55 for plus the $20 for the voucher which wasn’t a deal or saving. Never again Groupon. You suck and Blooms flowers suck. Deleting my account ASAP. Rip off.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I purchased 2 Groupons for a Sears oil change and only got to use one because Sears closed their auto stores. Groupon states although a Groupon purchase may expire, the face valued paid can be applied and never expires. When I submitted my request for a refund, Groupon offered me a refund of HALF the purchase price. I requested a supervisor's attention to this matter and received the same answer. I believe I received an automated response and want to report this matter to Consumer Affairs. Their website states the following: "Groupons may always be redeemed for at least the amount the customer paid for it—even after the promotional value has expired" and they are not honoring this.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Not impressed with Groupon at all. For the second time in as many months, my nephew purchased Home Chef for my birthday and Shari's Berries for another occasion. Both times when I tried to redeem, I receive message there are no funds tied to the Groupon code.... Really, because Groupon you're deducting the money from his account. You can't speak to anyone at Groupon, as they have chosen to NOT have an inbound number. So far, Groupon has collected $85 and there are no goods or services that can be received. RIP OFF - and yes, there were/are expiration dates for each item he purchased. Don't bother trying to chat with anyone, when you have an issue, they will ONLY discuss with the person who purchased. So, basically, folks at Groupon are NO HELP.

Original review: May 12, 2019

They will flat out break the law to refuse your refund, even when they send you the wrong item. I spoke with 5 different associates and all gave me canned cut and paste responses telling me they cannot help me. Disgusting criminal practices that do not care about you as a consumer. If you buy anything make sure you really want it, cause even if you don't get it you are out of luck. BEWARE!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I bought bed in bag set. It was bought as a new purchase. They sent a used item. I returned it using their label. They send you updates of return using their system. The USPS does not recognize their return labels code sent by them through email. So I looked at the label again. Groupon list the wrong label number. However, even when using the right label USPS has put the item on hold for some reason. It has been 2 weeks. I still have not received a refund. Groupon also access my banking two times. They did a pending charge of the purchase amount when I purchased the item. Then charged me again once the item shipped. They should have just debited me for the purchase charged that was pending. Instead, they create a brand new charge. This generated 2 charges of 139.00 within 3 days. So for over a week my bank reduced my balance by over 280.00.

Original review: May 9, 2019

The vendor would not honor the Groupon since it was expired. I contacted customer support and they said they could do nothing since the Groupon was expired. Be wary!!!! Groupon no longer honors their expired coupons..

Original review: May 9, 2019

Read the small print. I was new to Groupon so I purchased a Sam's Club membership. When I called to find out how redeem it they told me to come in. MISTAKE. The lady at the desk helped me set it up so instead of getting the best package I had paid for with Groupon I ended up with the lesser package. It cost me another $55 to get the package I wanted so I saved nothing not to mention I never received the free fruit basket or the 15% discount on my order. I will not be going through Groupon again.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Do not purchases any service from GROUPON. They don't back up any company on their site. They don't show any bad reviews that are wrote about anything that they are trying to promote. I got a coupon for Lash extensions for Laura Warren at Meraki Salon & Spa. Groupon had a great deal for them. I seen all these great reviews on there. Set up appt only for lady to reschedule the time. Went to appt, they looked great and in less than 3 days they all fell off. I have gotten Lash before and know that they are to last for weeks.

Called the lady back. She said to set up a time to have them redone. I did that only to have her change the time AGAIN. Then while I was on my way to appt (24min before I was to be there) she text to cancel the appt and want to reschedule. Enough. Only made 2 appt with this lady for her to change the times on each and now cancel. I told her I want my money back. She said no. I purchased with Groupon and take it up with them. I contact Groupon and they said I used the coupon so I can't get my money back to take it up with her. Seems like the perfect scam to me. I went and wrote a review with Groupon about this service so others would not waste $88 for nothing. Groupon never showed the review. I noticed that they don't show any reviews that are less than 4 stars. So they can keep promoting crap service.

Original review: May 7, 2019

POOR UNDERSTANDING OF THE ISSUE AT HAND AND NO REAL SOLUTION PROVIDED. I spoke to one of their managers, Jay ** (wouldn’t give his full last name) in customer service and he said, “We don’t guarantee the product we send to our customers because we can’t guarantee what the back office and warehouse will ships out" (what an answer). This matter could have easily been resolved if they had competent customer service representatives.

I placed three different orders of the same items and all three orders I received were incorrect/incomplete. I paid a total of $513.30 USD. Now they want to charge me another $513.30 to allegedly send me the correct order, without guaranteeing that the order will be correct. The customer service and warehouse don’t communicate which leads to incorrect orders being shipped out. I am appalled at the lack of professionalism displayed by this company. They don’t value their customers at all. Especially these days with the competition so fierce Companies like Amazon and others. They provide Top notch customer service.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Groupon return is a minefield with no escape route. I ordered socks from Groupon, they sent me colors other than what I ordered. Can't get in touch with return dept, sent to computer repair. Don't go there! Groupon is definitely a no no regardless of their low cost.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Purchased $40 Groupon for ProFlowers, initially voucher was not available immediately because Groupon was ‘down’. Then unable to complete purchase because ProFlowers said 16 digit voucher code was invalid or expired. There was no disclaimer as to what or how many items can be ordered. Called ProFlowers and rep tried to keep me on phone as long as possible saying he couldn’t understand me, English not good, he’ll resolve it but wanted credit card, offered discount, ... terrible waste of time. Spent 1 1/2 hrs on phone with him because I thought he was disabled. Groupon refunded the purchase only because it was less than 3 days and after trying to get me to take a ‘credit’ for future Groupon purchases. Very shady.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Groupon basically peddles junk companies and their lousy deals - which look good but if you research the companies offering the deals, you see that they are terrible companies. I got scammed twice and now I know how their business model works. Basically, peddle junk that people would not normally buy - and then market it to make it sound like you are getting 90% off! Well, I am probably too naive to have bought into it but after losing a little money, I am wiser now!

Original review: May 5, 2019

We booked our Saturday tour on Thursday evening. We never received a email confirmation or even a receipt that our card was charged. The Groupon stayed processing. We contacted customer service to which we were told it was issued and “just show up”. We call the service provider to confirm this to which we were told they had no reservation and they were fully booked. We asked for confirmation of via email and were told “they required 24 hour to send a email”. We then contact Groupon again to be told the trip was FINAL SALE! How is a trip you cannot even get on final sale?

Original review: May 4, 2019

I purchased two pairs of running shorts off of the Groupon website sold by CharmLeaks. The shorts was purchased on March 30th, but had to be purchased separate which required double charging of S/H. NOWHERE on the page did it state that the shorts were coming from China. One pair of socks arrived from China on April 19th which of course was not my purchasing item. My bank also alerted me of a potential fraud alert and closed my credit card. Groupon was notified via a request to call me (never received a call) and Live Chat. The merchant was notified as well. They stated it was a mistake and they will send the shorts. The shorts was sent and was stuck in customs for over a week so I didn't receive them until a month later of the purchase date. I purchased the shorts for my daughter for track practice. Track is over now.

The whole point of this review is the following. Customers should be able to contact Groupon by phone. Amazon and other websites provides this service and it works out GREAT. I should have received a full refund (including shipping especially since the shorts arrived together) and Groupon should of handled the seller... NOT ME. People won't experience anything like this until a problem occurs and they'll see the POOR customer service that Groupon provides.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Misleading advertisement about oil changes. Lied about locations and customer service is through chat. Worst experience I have had in a long time. First rep ended the chat while I was typing. Truly sad a multi million dollar company can't service a call center or get a supervisor.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Abysmal company that should have failed years ago. Received wrong size shoes. No customer service phone number. Online chat cuts me off when they can't deal with the problem. Broke down website now refusing to allow me to use chat a second time. Screw Groupon. They can fight for the money with my bank.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I signed up for new account in https://www.groupon.com/. After signing up I purchased a Skydiving for $145. They said they will email the Groupon to my Email id with details. I never received any update, so I live chat with their customer support team they said I will get in one day. SO I tried today logging to my account and it says account doesn't exist and when I try to reset my password it again says email id not linked to any account. I try to contact their customer service but they are ending the conversation as soon as I told them the issue and blocked me. These guys are frauds. They take credit card number and disable your account. Please be aware of these frauds.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I ordered a pair of shoes on April 10th. As of May 1st they didn't arrive and the only thing that customer service could do was offer a refund. They were unable to track my shoes despite the fact that they use FedEx. The tracking was wrong. I requested a refund, but now I'll have to wait 10 days for that as well. Never purchasing an item on Groupon again.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have ordered things since January 2019. I DO NOT recommend Groupon. I have been ripped out of so much money with them. I am trying to utilize the items I’ve purchased per the terms & conditions. I have not been able to use ANY of my Groupons as of May 1st. I have a concert tonight & the seats I purchased, ARE NOT the seats they gave me. I purchased floor seats and they gave me seats somewhere totally different. I am not happy. This is playing with my money.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I am very disappointed with this company. I was told by my friends three of them as a matter of fact that there was not a charge for Groupon. When I went on the other night it asked me for my credit card like a jerk. I put it in and immediately was charged $10. That was taken out of my account less than a minute later. None of my friends pay $10. I have asked several times in a live chat, "Am I charged $10 a month?" Is that a hard question to answer? Immediately they end the conversation with me. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

Yesterday when I spoke to somebody. He said, "I have no problem reimbursing your money and canceling your account." Well guess what? That was never done. Now I was just talking to somebody else in live chat since there's not a phone number to contact and he said he would send me an email telling me what the results were. Has anybody else ever had this problem with them? And do you pay $10 a month for it? I just find it odd that I was charged $10 and none of my friends are. They said it was a free site. Totally disgusted with these people.

Original review: April 27, 2019

When making a purchase on Groupon I never thought that I would have a problem after all I have purchased from them many times before. Unfortunately this time was different. I purchased 3 tickets to Universal Studios on Groupon, almost $700. My initial purchase I made an error and purchased 3 children tickets instead of adult tickets and this is where the nightmare began. There is NO number to call customer service if you experience a challenge. Due to the nature of my purchase I could not request a callback from customer support. I had to go under another purchase to request a callback.

When the call came in the representative was extremely rude and short with me. The purchase stated all sales are final and she would not discuss the purchase with me. After trying to explain I was looking to simply upgrade the children tickets to adult tickets she still refused to listen or assist me. I had to request a second callback where I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor explained to me that they could give me the money back via Groupon bucks. That was fine with me as I was going to purchase the tickets anyway. The children tickets was refunded and I purchased the adult tickets. Everything was perfect...so I thought.

Two weeks go by we have driven 8 hours to Orlando FL to only get to the gate of Universal Studios to learn our NEW set of tickets had also been refunded. Why???? Who made this request? Shocked by this news I look on my Groupon app and I see the Groupon bucks is back in my account. Embarrassed at the gate....I make the purchase again, but my Mom is there and also want a ticket so now the total cost is almost $1000. I step out of line, make the purchase, get back in line, and Groupon automatically refund those tickets, this refund, which was not requested, cause us to be turned away from Universal Studios a second time.

Hours has passed. By this time, the children are getting restless, and my senior citizen Mother is getting hungry. I request a manager from Universal Studios who shows me on the computer screen where it clearly showed that Groupon had refunded the tickets and they cannot be used. At that time I purchased tickets from Universal Studios directly in efforts to enjoy reminder of the day. At this point Groupon still has almost $1000 of my money which until this very day the refuse to refund. I simply want my cash, not Groupon bucks, back!

I have reached out to Groupon via chat, supplied them with screenshots of my tickets being refunded (without my request), the receipt from the tickets I purchased at Universal Studios, and they still refuse to resolve the matter. As a matter of fact I was blamed for the error. Yes, the customer is NOT right with Groupon. At this point I supplied Groupon with screenshots that showed the refund of my tickets the day of the purchase. However now it magically showed the tickets valid. We are back home and is not interested in using the tickets. My advice to all shoppers is please don’t purchase from Groupon! Their customer service is horrible, you can’t just call and speak with someone, and the few dollars you save is not worth the headache if something goes wrong. Please share this warning with all your family and friends.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Purchased a massage for my wife. She set up an appointment for the following week. When she arrived at her appointed time, no one was there. The lights were out 11 AM. No one answered the phone. Voice mail was filled. Started a dispute with my credit card. Groupon told them they issued me a credit back to my card. They did not. Groupon said they issued me a voucher. I did not want one. I simply wanted my $35 back. They show no phone number, so you can only communicate via e mail.

However, someone called me while I was in the shower. Her English was very broken. She sounded as if she was Oriental and I had a hard time understanding her message. I called back the number she left, but got a recorded message telling me basically start with an e mail. To make a long story short, after 15 emails, three of which showed no one really read my email, I still do not have the issue resolved. They still have my $35. I still have nothing. I will never use them again.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I bought some tickets off Groupon for a show, rented a limo, and me and some friend took the day off of work. When we get to the venue in the limo, the venue is closed and a man said the show was rescheduled in 2 weeks. The total for the 5 tickets was a $105, so I contact Groupon to get a refund for the tickets because financially I cannot go in 2 weeks. I'm talking to Groupon while still in the limo and he says he will refund me the money. The next morning I look at my account and $25 is refunded. I call Groupon back to get the rest of my money, then they put $35 Groupon bucks in my account. I don't want Groupon bucks. I want the money to go back on my credit card, and where is the other $45. I ended up calling my credit card company to dispute this.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I purchased a refurbished cell phone from Groupon. The phone came, it had a lot of glitches, so I returned it. When I didn't get a refund and I could not reach Groupon Customer Service, they're operating hours are limited and I work all day, I reached out to my credit card and they disputed the charges. I thought everything was fine and the credit card company would handle it; but 8 weeks later the charge appeared on my credit card again! Groupon claimed that the box I send back was empty. I happened to have a day off of work and spent 3 hours contacting Groupon, I finally got to "chat" with a representative. She asked me if I had "taken a picture" of the box I sent, do people do this I asked? Anyway, after an hour of trying to resolve this with the representative, she said, "if you send us proof that the dispute is taken off, then we will investigate the "empty box"!? Me and my family have deleted Groupon, though I am still working on this problem.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I ordered something on Groupon that was supposed to be a wicker couch. First of all it was a corner piece. That is it! They mark for returns and I contacted them for the return and what they claim they would help me with was just another site, the USS store, which is another scam! They said I could return it but did not send labels. They list no other way of contacting but through email. Anyways getting through and getting label has been ridiculous. They would reply with stupid remarks and avoid even sending the label!

Then by the time I got label and sent it back, the product was returned a week ago and not one person can tell me why I have not been refunded! No refund, no product and nothing but pathetic excuses or they ignore me!!!! I will NEVER shop through Groupon or the USS store EVER again and will highly recommend everyone to stay far from these scammers. I have yet to see refund or have an answer and I have messaged them several times now!!!

Groupon expert review by Erin Huffstetler

As one of the first deal sites on the scene, Groupon has been offering discounted vouchers and merchandise since 2008.

• Vouchers retain value: After vouchers expire, they can still be redeemed for the purchase price.

• Returns accepted: Vouchers can be returned within seven days of purchase. Some Groupon Goods purchases are eligible for returns.

• Accessible customer support: Both online and phone support is available.

• Easy email management: Email subscriptions can be set and changed with ease.

• Deal overload: With hundreds of local deals to sort through, and just as many national deals, it can be time-consuming to sift through all the offers, and hard to zero in on what you’re interested in.

• Vouchers: All vouchers remain in your account until you mark them as redeemed, so it can be tricky to remember which ones you’ve used and which ones you haven’t (especially if you buy a bunch).

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, occasional users, businesses

Profile picture of Erin Huffstetler
Erin Huffstetler Deal Websites Contributing Editor

Erin Huffstetler is the Frugal Living Guide at About.com, and the founder of MyFrugalHome.com. If there’s a way to get something for less, Erin will find it, and tell you about it.

Groupon Company Information