1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1622 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Consumers need to be aware of the Groupon Select Program. While I was updating my credit card information on Groupon. I accidentally clicked on Groupon Select. There was no confirmation warning whatsoever about this 'subscription'. Desperately reaching out to their customer support within in 2 minutes, no solution was being offered, except being repeatedly cited their terms & agreement, which I did not read as I had no intention to subscribe in the first place - "During your 6-month contract, your subscription cannot be canceled and fees are not refundable."

I have long heard faults on Groupon's business model. Very often at times, merchants would request me not to go through Groupon but pay them at the same price instead. I always wondered why. Now with this experience, I got a peek of how Groupon conduct their business, they are surely damn good at pissing off both the merchants and customers. After spending nearly $3000 Groupons in the past 2 years, no more Groupons for me - that's for sure. Groupon sucks!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was making a purchase and Groupon wasn't honoring the promo code that was used for the order. There were no exclusions and nothing listed in the fine print area. I contacted customer service, they cancelled my previous order and gave me the run around about the code. I had to contact them three times because they wasn't responding. Beware when contacting them that it will be hours and there will be no resolution!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I waited 2+ weeks, had to hunt down the 3rd party delivery service just to find out Groupon had never sent the package. After trying to reach a manager 3 phone calls later. 2 hours with customer service. They put me on hold for almost 30 minutes. Twice the call got dropped when on hold (funny how this never happened with anyone else). Every time I asked for a callback I had a different person who was nonchalant about the problem. After 3 days I finally get ahold of a “supervisor” Paul (probably not his real name). All I asked was that I get a refund and some credit for the wasted hours. NO HELP AT ALL. If you want to risk having a horrible experience don’t go with Groupon. Just buy the stinking product full price. You will pay more if you don’t.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I purchased a Groupon Select for $5 per month for a period of 6 months. (First month free). The notice said that I could get an additional 25% off. I took that to mean that as being an additional 25%. Well, Groupon usually has a sale where you get an additional 25, 30% off, or a dollar amount off based on how much you spent. Well, you don't get an additional $25 percent off if they are offering a discount. I complained several times about this but they told me they could not refund my money. At the end of the six months, they will notify me to see if I want to renew. So, I have paid $25 and get nothing out of it because of all the coupons they have. No one at Groupon could understand why I was upset. To me, "additional" means additional. Also, to me, this is false advertising.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I purchased these new in box Powerbeats 3 by Dre in Nov 2018. They did a few odd things at first- lost charge after just one use- I thought I didn’t turn off correctly. Then in January 2019 they completely stopped working. Contacted Apple and they told me the warranty is not valid because whatever company had purchased them in 2017. Contacted Groupon to see if something could be done as they were only 2 months old. Groupon informed me that since they were purchased over 30 days ago there was nothing they could do- website states that there is a 60 day warranty, but not offered this and when asked the representative about warranty stated there isn’t one. I will not be buying from Groupon again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Groupon has been down since last month (Dec. 2018). I have a Groupon that is set to expire and I cannot access it to use it. I also have a Groupon that requires me to download a link that Groupon sent me in order to use the purchase. The link will not open. I keep getting an "Oops! Internal Error" message. MANY people online are complaining of the same issue. We cannot seem to get through to Groupon in any way, shape or form. Their customer service number only tells you that they now take care of any customer service issues online. If you can't get a hold of them online how do you get any service???

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I was visiting my elderly sister in Brenham, Texas over the holidays. On Jan 2nd she took a bad fall. We were in the ER when my phone showed a Groupon offer for 6 Flags Magic Mtn. to be redeemed within 3 days, Jan 6th. I saw a Confirmation message on the screen and tried to back out of it but it got Confirmed anyway. They billed my credit card which I've since canceled. They would not refund it because of the "fine print". A Groupon rep in the Philippines suggested I "give" it to a friend or relative. I did not order it anyway. ONE ticket to be used in 3 days? I flew back home to San Diego on Jan 7th. Groupon needs to stop flashing quick offers on the screen with no recourse, no choice to answer Yes or No. I will report them to everyone, every agency I possibly can. They have billions now and don't give a darn.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Harrisburg, PA - Jan 12, 2018 I purchased a discount coupon for $30 off meal. It had a special Deal Code cutting cost in half. I have the purchase statement that shows all of this plus the order number. They drafted $30 from my account instead of the $9.50. I've just spent over an hour on internet and the support # (which is a robot) to no avail. I will go to Better Business Bureau and probably to my LegalShield attorney. It looks like a lot of folks are getting scammed.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Ordered several things before Xmas and they were delivered and charged correctly, BUT, just today I was looking at my bank acct. and saw a charge for $4.99 from Groupon. Called Groupon (hard to find a phone #) and they told me that I will be charged this $4.99 for another 4 months and it is NOT cancellable. They told me that I signed (?) up for this and the first charge is $0 but the next 5 months will be at $4.99 each. F R A U D. Noticed that they have a 1 star review from most customers. I agree! DO NOT do business with company!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have purchased a lot from Groupon over the years and they have always been helpful on dealing with refunds or crediting me back my purchases that I either could not use or due to unforeseen circumstances was not able to redeem the coupons. All I was asking for was credit for 2 of the coupons that I was not able to use cause of the merchant was not honoring them and one was for due to the weather was canceled, of which I could not use that before it expired. Dealing with this company is a pain and I will not be recommending them to anyone even if it is a good deal. You should be getting some sort of credit back if you cannot use them for whatever the reason.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased a Groupon service for detailing on December 18, 2018. On December 22, 2018 my Groupon was marked as redeemed. When I noticed the error. I contacted Groupon customer service via email. The team member responded in a timely fashion; however automatically assumed the redemption was an error on my part. He stated he would unredeemed the deal but future deals will not be granted. When I checked to see if my deal was unredeemed it still showed as being redeemed. I contacted customer service again to ask for a refund, in which they refused to give me and stated that I had redeemed the Groupon. I tried to explain to the team member that I never used the Groupon and that the problem was suppose to be handled from my first email.

The team member sent me another email refusing my refund stating that I redeemed the Groupon. I wasn’t able to contact or use the call back option for customer service because it kept stating unavailable. I was able to chat with a team member; however nothing was resolved through this. The team member stated I used the Groupon and that I had a similar request for redemption before, which was untrue. Never had a problem with redeeming a Groupon before. The customer service unit for Groupon is horrible. I was only able to resolve the problem by calling the detailing company that the Groupon was for and they stated they had similar complaints and would handle the problem. Groupon will not be getting any more of my business.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

First, it’s been over a week since they took money out of my account and overdraft my account. I canceled my order yet, they charge me still for a service I never used. They said, they refunded me. Yet I have proof on my bank statement that they did not. They said, “thanks for being a customer.” And hasn’t refunded my account the $59 they owe me. You can’t call and speak to customer service anymore, now you have to talk to a robot. This is a scam and I wouldn’t recommend Groupon to even an enemy. Mind you I had used them many times. Customer service was good back then. Now NO! Don’t even bother. They steal and scam from you because they know, there is nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I made a purchase on August 31st and contacted the merchant. The merchant advised that I had to redeem the voucher in order to secure the date for December. On the day of the event Photo Booth USA never showed up to the party! When I contacted them about my refund $625.00 I was told a refund would be issued for $125.00 their fees and the $474 I paid to Groupon would have to be refunded by Groupon. I contacted Groupon several times via email, and the useless chat feature and have been told they are working on it! Finally after three weeks I receive an email stating the voucher was unredeemed and I could use the credit on their website. I stated I did not want nor need a credit I wanted a full refund. One week later I just received an email saying I have violated their policy and can no longer use their website or services or legal actions will proceed. They are both crooks!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Do not buy Groupon! Just call the services directly and arrange your price with them. If the companies offer their services on Groupon, they would have no issues to arrange a good price for you. Groupon charges companies half a price, and if you buy a Groupon for hair, you will pay double price once you get to hair saloon. When I figured it out and ask Groupon for credit, they refused me. I lost my money as I could have much cheaper price with my old hairdresser. Groupon does not care about their customers, all they want is your money! They are not in business for a long term as they have no idea how to build a customer base.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I bought a few Groupons for haunted hometowns corp. from Groupon and the sale was only good for a couple months (it was a walking tour), but I was injured and couldn't walk, so the company said no problem you can use the vouchers whenever, however; they will only be good for the actual money I paid (no sale value...). I said that, that was fine with me. It's $70.00!

Also, on the Groupon itself (in print) states that, "Even after the promotional value expires, the Groupon is still worth what you paid for it". However, the tour company went out of business shortly after issuing the Groupon and now Groupon refuses to refund my actual cash value and even refuses to offer a Groupon credit. HOW IS THAT FAIR? THEY PAID THEMSELVES WITH MY MONEY FOR NO SERVICE RENDERED!

They did this to me once before recently where the actual cash I paid for a restaurant that went out of business was 25.00 and they gave me 12.50. So, they are paying themselves 50% - 100% commission on bogus businesses that they listed. But, but there is no way to get any resolution with Groupon because they will not talk to their customers (There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE) and whenever you write them, it winds up back at a level one help desk person and they always misunderstand everything you are trying to explain and you're back at square one! I've been battling them for months and I'm exhausted. I'm a heart patient and don't need the aggravation, but could use my money back.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

The Ninja Coffee Bar is a Christmas gift for my son and when he opened it it was broke and I am having a very hard time trying to get a hold of customer support figure out what to do. I am out around $79.00. I need help on how to get a hold of customer service. I either need a refund or a replacement. I feel so bad that my son's Christmas gift is broke.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I bought a haircut deal on Groupon. A few days later, found out that there was a student deal on Groupon that gives you an extra 25% off on your purchases. I wanted to cancel my haircut that I got and repurchase it with the student discount (would've save me $7). Tried to find customer service... NADA. NOTHING. No phone number, email, or live chat. But that's what their "contact" information says: "contact us via phone number, email, or live chat" BUT WHERE ARE THOSE INFORMATION?! It's nowhere to be found so how do I even call, email, or chat?! It's been 3 days since I purchased the haircut deal, and 3 days is the limit for their cancelation request eligibility. 99.9% sure Groupon will not get back to me in time for the cancelation eligibility to work for me... a frustrating 4 hours of my life!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased two service products for my daughter and her boyfriend for the Knoxville, TN area: (1) Bellydancing which turned out it is located an hour away; (2) Reflexology/Swedish massage, but when daughter contacted for an appointment the owner said the coupon was only for hand/foot reflexology massage. I discovered there is no way to contact Groupon except through their website. I requested a refund on both since neither were offered as advertised, but Groupon refuses. Groupon stated that the FINE PRINT states vouchers must cancelled within three days, however, I had no idea the advertisings were misleading. Groupon only suggested I give the paid services vouchers away, but no refunds. Groupon is not offering any other reparations for customer satisfaction! This was my first experience with GROUPON, and is certainly my last! This is bad business on their part! BUYERS BEWARE!!! Groupon does not care about consumers!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I used to be a Groupon fan - but no more. I purchased a gym Groupon and the fine print did not say it was limited to a 6 am class. Groupon is no longer reachable to solve problems. The phone number no longer works. The Live Chat is gone from the website and you can't even email support! You are only allowed to see the FAQ which won't lead you to email support. Bad Bad Bad! You lost a VERY loyal and longtime customer Groupon. I am sure I am not the only pissed off customer!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I been using Groupon all this time. Over a year I haven't use Groupon so I couldn't log in. I create a new Groupon. Purchase something. They cancel my order. I sent a email. The reply like am a criminal. They sent. "For the safety and security of Groupon, we often review accounts for potential risks. Upon reviewing your account, we encountered a violation of our Terms of Service and closed the account. This decision cannot be appealed. Please discontinue use of our website and our services immediately and note that we are preserving all rights to pursue further action -- should it be necessary -- to preserve the integrity of our program and the best interests of our company. Thank you for your understanding."

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Where’s the silver iPad that I ordered? The rose gold is nice color however it is not what was ordered. Additionally, the charging cable and charger do not work to charge the pad. This is a misrepresentation. Agreement of sale: iPad Pro Silver reconditioned with charging cable and USB cord. Ordered on 11/27/18 and credit card sale closed same day with delivery slated at 5-7 business days. What happened: IPad Pro Rose Gold reconditioned with dead battery and non-functioning charger and cable arrived 22 business days later on 12/28/18.

The card was charged and sale recorded but the product was not delivered for shipping. The tracking messages said product was delivered to Shipping company and awaited shipping. 12/15/18. I contacted Groupon support (ordeal). After inconclusive web response I requested phone call. Customer rep on phone apologized and provided options: cancel order, get refund in Groupon bucks. There was no option provided for refund or a refund with interest. I persisted and explained that I wanted the iPad, it was paid for, they had my money, please deliver or return my money with interest. Customer rep replied she would look into the matter. She did not say that she would return response, my mistake not to record the conversation.

A second phone call from a differed support rep came a few hours later. This rep had no awareness that I’d been contacted previously and I started over. Two days later, tracking message indicated product would ship for arrival 1/8/19. I assumed this would be the silver IPad as initially ordered. Wrong assumption.

Product took circuitous route beginning in Gaithersburg, MD with one shipping company. The package travelled through Indiana to Seattle then to Oregon where it was delivered by another shipping company on 12/28/18. The package was wrapped for travel in padded box and inside in a bubble envelope. The envelope, white, did not bear the markings of main shipper or delivery shipping company. The box, brown cardboard with no brand markings, had a broken tape seal.

The issue- the sale was recorded as complete and card charged without the requisite exchange necessary for the product to transfer to the shipping and delivery company. The product ordered was not shipped nor delivered within 5-7 business days. The deal did not include adequate information about seller or contact information. Wrong color product late In an unsealed package with cables incompatible with product. This was an ORDEAL... Thank you Groupon. I’ve been reminded that shopping local and having personal face to face exchange is a much better deal.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Horrible experience every time I deal with them. They just don't care. I hate Groupon and won't ever be using it again. First experience is I booked a tour with them which has a validity for 3 months and they don't me after buying the Groupon that the availability on only there on the weekdays. So, I had to put a leave on a weekday and go to the tour. Horrible. Now, I got a Groupon gift for a very nice restaurant. They allowed the booking on a day when the restaurant is closed. I got my makeup done and went along with my husband just to find out that the restaurant is closed. And now the Groupon says it is expired. When I contact the customer support, they are telling that they can't regenerate the gift voucher again, instead the person who gave the gift had to contact them. This is horrible service. People don't use them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought something from Groupon. I try to apply 25% percent code on Groupon. And right after that I try to cancel my order but I can’t cancel. Then I called Groupon and they have answering machine. I try to email and I got answers back after month, "Sorry we can’t able to refund your money back after 30 days." I am very pissed off. Never buy from Groupon.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Purchased a Christmas present for my daughters on the 10/12/18. It was guaranteed to be delivered in time for Christmas. Obviously nothing was sent, no tracking ID given, no updates whatsoever. It is now 29/12/18, nothing has been received and it never will. Thankfully I paid through Paypal and have opened a claim and will force them to refund me in full. I did contact customer service first, and got the standard automated email through telling me that I needed to be patient. I knew then that it wouldn't arrive and it never did. Looking at all of these reviews there is obviously something very wrong with this organisation. Their business doesn't work, and I've heard that a lot of parcels are not sent as customers don't use the credit notes that they offer. They need to be reported to the ACCC and I certainly will be doing so.

Latest update; Groupon have just been in touch. Apparently "According to our records, there were no issues or delays in regards to the dispatch of your item from our supplier's warehouse. However, as you have not received it yet, there is a chance it has been lost in transit at the hands of the postal service (which can happen from time to time)." I've asked them to confirm which records these were, where the parcel was being posted from, which courier was being used and what the tracking ID is. They've offered me a Groupon credit, which came as a great shock. This is a scam. They take money, don't send products, tell you that it's lost in the post and you can have a credit that you will either never use, or you'll find something of half the value and they pocket the rest. I'm definitely reporting this to the ACCC. I've never seen anything as dishonest as this online.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Horrible experience. False advertisement & never returned money. A failure at customer service & very poor communication skills. Get your deals elsewhere. This is a scam & if I can give them a zero for a failure at what they do, I would’ve.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

If there was an option for zero stars, that's what I'd rate this lousy company. This was my first and last time ordering from Groupon. I live in Canada. I ordered a product in Nov 2018. They passed the payment on my credit card (50$) and never delivered!!! After they took the payment, I found out I needed to enter a special code for them to deliver which I never found. The link they sent me to find the code was invalid. Stupid practice. I frickin PAID them so code or not, they should deliver to the customer! They say you can contact them if there's a problem which is a lie! Their phone number is a machine with nobody there and there's also an email but nobody responds. Shady much? There's No way to contact these people! They basically stole my 50$!!! It's a damn good thing I didn't order for 500$ or so. I've learned a hard lesson and will now avoid Groupon like the plague!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

This "program" is nothing more than a way for Groupon to steal your money. The site tricks you into joining with no way out until you have been with them a required 6 months! They tell you that you can get out within in 1 day of joining but just try, it's impossible! It's not the money wasted that infuriates me, it's the way they go about getting it. The second I can get out of this contract I am running and fast from Groupon all together, this is bad business and I WILL NOT support them any longer. Most of the time I can call the companies that have offers on Groupon, mention the deal and they will give it to you directly so you really don't need this customer unfriendly site at all except to look up deals then take it from there on your own.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have been a long time user of Groupon and didn't have any issues until today. I saw at the bottom of the page a button about Groupon Select. It said it was $4.99/month and you'd get 25% off Groupon local deals. I thought it was interesting so I clicked it. A pop-up appeared asking if I wanted to join. I thought it would take me to a page that would add this subscription to a cart or something but nope, once you click yes, you're subscribed. And you're subscribed for 6 MONTHS and you CANNOT BACK OUT. They will not let you cancel the contract, even if it was a mistake, even if you haven't used the benefit, even if you let them know less than 3 minutes after you subscribed that you want out.

It's clearly designed to trick people into joining because they know anyone with any brains would never join this subscription otherwise. Now I have to pay them for 6 months for something I do not want and will not use. Their customer service is useless. Groupon is shady AF. Once I'm done with this 6 months, I'm never using them again.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I decided to not use Sunray BP auto service after getting a quote and cannot get a Groupon refund. I got the quote late Friday, read it over the weekend and the vendor wished me well and Groupon has no prompt or method to get my 60 bucks back. On Groupon website 4 times now and just get nonworking screen and apps to buy more stuff. NEVER BUY GROUPON SERVICES - YOU WON'T GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH OR A REFUND IF YOU OPT OUT.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Updated on 12/30/2018: After several "chat sessions" with Groupon I'm still waiting for my refund and for my package to be tracked. I do know from the carrier's tracking that Groupon received my return on 12/24, however it is not in the system for a refund. I am filing a complaint with Missouri's Attorney Generals office and the BBB. This company sends out defective/faulty merchandise then makes returns next to impossible.

Original review: After finally receiving my Dell Latitude Pro, I opened the box (curiously a USPS box turned inside out but mailed through UPS). There was no receipt, no manual. I soon learned that it was not refurbished but had all of the previous owner's files AND was locked. I took it to a computer shop and was told to return it since it was totally useless to me at this point. I am partially blind and have mobility issues and had to spend more money on transportation to print a return label and drop it off at UPS. The only Customer Service Groupon has is Live Chat. Pretty much useless. I've tried to track my package with UPS after 4 days and it doesn't appear to be in the system yet. This has been a very stressful, time-consuming and costly experience. I had to spend money on another computer and will be very surprised if I receive a refund. I will NEVER use Groupon again. Buyer beware!

Groupon Company Information

600 W Chicago Ave #620
Chicago
IL
1-888-375-5777
www.groupon.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.