3.02/5
Based on 1,071 ratings submitted in the last year

1692 Groupon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Riverside Hot Pot charges 18.99 dollars per head Monday to Friday (Happy Hours). But when I went there this evening with my family, they informed me for customers using Groupons, they charge 23.99 per head. (For my family of five, the bill ended up 25 dollars more than other customers not using a Groupon). This eliminating any saving I might have had using the Groupon.

I paid 34 dollars for a Groupon of 58 dollars value at Rivefside Hot Pot, that’s a saving of 24 dollars. One dollar short of the increased price for Groupon users. This Groupon has a restriction and can only be used from a Monday to Thursday, so basically they charge more if you use a Groupon to make up for the discount. Total scam!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Ok so I have been using Groupon for a while, and most of the items I wanted where ok and in good time, however they are usually very cheaply made, cheaper made than expected most of the time. and I have received about 3 products that where broken on delivery. My bigger issue is that you have to watch for Groupon deals especially on products, because With a little research you will find that they are not the cheapest deal out there for the same products, even if you look at a big box retailer like Walmart or Toys R Us, you will find the exact same products but sometimes cheaper than Groupon, so make sure you know what other companies are offering before buying from Groupon.

Also I have been having trouble with tickets bought on Groupon, if you miss the show the tickets were bought for, you can’t redeem them for something else which is fine, however they will send you push notifications telling you that you can?! Which is false advertisement, and I get these push notifications a lot, which then confuses me into thinking I can redeem my expired tickets. My advice would be buy from Groupon ONLY if you know you are getting a deal, and don’t always trust their push notifications or what their sellers are saying because it’s not always as advertised. But if you do your research and know more about what you are getting into, then Groupon can be good.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Have deal with Groupon a few times. Tho, I will buy items for Christmas and when checking the item out to test them. Not very good. Food and restaurant deals are good but confusing at times the way they word it when to use it and whatnot. When I did use one, seem the owner of the restaurant did not want to honor the deal.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had an unauthorized charge to my account for 4 tickets to WonderWorks in which I did not purchase. After discovering I didn't have enough money in my account to pay a bill I immediately got in contact with customer service and they told me they couldn't help me because it had been past the three day cancellation policy. How am I supposed to cancel the voucher for something I didn't even know was there?! I will never use this company again!

Original review: March 17, 2019

My first purchase with Groupon was terrible, they sent me a completely different model. I ordered a short sleeve shirt and they sent me a long sleeve shirt and the different print, they never answered my claim. I sent them a picture of my order and what I received and the return was not possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Groupon?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have bought a teeth whitening coupon from Groupon, when we tried to redeem, the company has a website, but phone number not in service, e-mail undeliverable and at the given address there is a cake shop, no dentist. Also, unable to reach anybody at Groupon, the feedback email does not allow to write anything, also, they are still advertising this and there is no way to warn others so they don't buy this. No email for Groupon no phone number for their customer service, no idea how I will get my money back. Please Don't buy My Smile Lab advertisement for One LED teeth whitening session for $94, it supposed to be the phone number 905-271-1441 but this is not working, and 306 Lakeshore Road East is a cake shop.

Original review: March 16, 2019

This will be the last time I ever use Groupon for this pest treatment - totally overpriced for what you get. The fine print has some hidden costs - very deceptive in my view. Go to your local pest guy and give Groupon a big big miss.

Original review: March 15, 2019

The beats are on sale from $299.99 to a 33%off now at $199.99 with extra $30 off. I don’t know why it does not add up. Asked rep. She said it’s already included. No codes to apply. Long story short. She issued a $10 credit for future purchase. I asked if she could connect me with a manager. She connects me with supervisor. Supervisor explains same thing. My reply was, "Please show me the math." I was not that good in math in school, but as I get older, it makes sense. LOL. She said there are no codes to apply and rep had issued a $10 credit.

Of course, that does not give me what the price would be if the extra $30 was actually honored to the sale price as stated. The supervisor apologize and said price is included. This is a false advertising. How does the math add up & to be included? Told supervisor I was reporting Groupon. I have never had a major issue with Groupon until today. We use them a lot. Love the deals but today was a turn for the worse. Had two orders wanted to place with them today and unfortunately, I will have to look elsewhere. This is terrible Groupon. I hoped to ordered the Dre beats for my son’s birthday (in April) and now this.

Original review: March 15, 2019

So I purchased a concert ticket for a great deal used PayPal to pay but got an email from Groupon saying the payment didn't go through. It was a failed payment. So I used a credit card to buy a ticket. I now have 2 tickets because the PayPal Payment ended up going through so I messaged customer service and they said it's a "Final sale". Normally I wouldn't care but it's a ticket on my phone on my Groupon app and the customer service lady was polite but only because she's paid to be polite. She really could care less. Needless to say they didn't do ANYTHING. I'll be calling PayPal in the morning. This was my first and only time using Groupon and I'll never recommend it to ANYONE.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Voucher system do not work for someone with a flip phone. I order several times for Christmas presents. Groupon took my money but I did not get a voucher. Their customer service stinks. There is no phone number and you request a call and they never call.

Original review: March 14, 2019

When I purchased this Groupon, I was not aware that there was only 1 person working at this massage place. By the time, I was able to schedule my appointment, the therapists said she can not work on 2 people at the same time. Then I contacted Groupon to trade in my Groupon and they so they cannot because of the fine print. The fine print never said there was only 1 therapist and they couldn't take 2 people at the same time. I am very unhappy and just want a trade-in for another Groupon deal and they refused to work with me. How can I help it when the business can't accommodate for my request. And I know my request is not unreasonable.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My son noticed a concert offer for Santana. He placed the offer in his cart. After investigating offer he noticed seating was lawn seating. This offer would not be good for us as we are both handicapped. So he deleted the offer from his cart. The site immediately thanked him for his purchase. He that sent a e-mail to Groupon to advise. He was told by several employees the this is a known glitch in the system, but concert sales are final sale and no assistance could be offered.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I will NEVER buy from Groupon again!!! RUN as far as you can from them!! I bought a Groupon and the code didn't work. I wrote an email to Groupon 3 times and all 3 came back to me for wrong address even though these were the addresses listed by Groupon. I tried to text them and there was some sort of glitch that wasn't working there. Point is, it is so very difficult to contact anyone from Groupon to get any help with your problems!!

After over a week of trying to get help, I finally got in touch with Faizal ** who never listened to a word I said, then wanted to "trade" my Groupon when I wanted my money back. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Kumar ** came on and she offered me a "trade" when I demanded my money back and when I finally asked to speak to her manager, she finally gave me my money back! I wasted SO MUCH of my time with these people and they just don't care! I never seen such poor customer service!! This is the third time I have had problems with Groupon like this and never again!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Groupon Customer Service if any exists is horrible. You cannot reach any for assistance whether it's to cancel or trade your Groupon. There is no phone, email or chat readily available! You go around in circles trying to navigate their site for help. How can you sell products and offers without providing some help for your customers? I will never use them again! I have lost money on previous purchases that I could not get them to help me get refunded or even trade in my Groupons! So what did they do with the money I used to purchase? I didn't use the Groupons.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Here is the big issue. They post Canadian Bargains like Niagara Fallsview Waterpark which shows a U.S. price that you think is Canadian. The total of the deal is then converted to Canadian dollars which is put on your credit card. When I asked for a refund within the 3 days, they said, "All sales final but we will put Groupon bucks into your account," but instead of a higher Canadian figure that they charged they put in lower unit U.S. bucks. When you go to use those credits for a Canadian purchase like Niagara Falls Fun Zone, they do not do a U.S. to Canada currency conversion...hence you pay 67 US for a 67 Canadian deal. Not fair, but sneaky, and illegal. Using the old money exchange trick and shady ticket pricing. What can be done about this shortchanging?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I just want to start out by saying that I have purchased many items and event tickets from Groupon over the years and I have had problems with a few things here and there, but I understand things happen so I haven't complained. However, what happened to me this past Thursday and the way I was treated is NOT ok and your company should be concerned about who is representing you to your loyal customers. I purchased 2 tickets to The Beatles Love show, in Vegas, for Thursday night for my mother and her friend. I saw that the tickets were non-transferable so I made sure to have the name and spelling of her friend so I could add that to the tickets. When I went to make the purchase, I selected 2 tickets and noticed there wasn't a spot to add names for the vouchers. I triple checked to make sure I wasn't missing something but still did not see a place for this information.

I made the mistake of trusting that I must be able to add them after the sale. That was not the case. I noticed I received 2 vouchers where my name was automatically added and that it stated my name had to be on the ID to pick both of them up at the box office. I tried contacting you within a minute of the sale and was finally able to get someone through live chat less than 5 minutes after the purchase. This person informed me that there was nothing he could do because they were non-transferable and non-refundable. He also informed me that even if he escalated the situation, I would get the same answer and that I wouldn't receive a call from anyone for 24-48 hours!

My next tactic was to try the box office since you cannot even reach anyone by phone at your company. The woman at the box office was VERY nice, sympathetic and helpful even though the problem wasn't hers at all. There was nothing she could do but she tried everything she could with me for about 30 minutes and sincerely apologized every time she came back on the line to say her idea didn't work out. There was nothing she could do but she tried and she was so nice about it with me. That is exactly how customer service should be.

After trying with her, I tried Groupon again and this time, I requested a phone call online. Someone called me about 30 minutes later but she was not understanding my problem because she wasn't truly listening to me and that was very frustrating. She put me on hold for about 10 minutes and when she came back, she started to tell me how to purchase a Groupon. I was dumbfounded considering I had already spent 10 minutes explaining to her that I had already made the purchase and needed assistance with it. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was placed on hold for another 20 minutes before a very rude man picked up the phone.

This is where things got even worse when they should get better. This man has no business being in customer service and I only wish he had provided his name. He refused to let me speak and just kept repeating the policy in the fine print. I was trying to explain that the problem was in the purchasing process but he told me this Groupon was not allowed to be purchased as a gift and I should have realized that. I asked if he was telling me that I was out $158.87 and if he was really not going to try and help me at all and his response was "Yeah, I guess that is what I am saying. I am not willing to do anything because that is our policy. If you want to talk to someone else, you can request another call on the site" and HUNG UP on me!

I have never experienced anything like that in customer service. You ought to be ashamed. I understand company policies but I also understand good business practice and this entire transaction, from start to finish, was not good business practice. It is not my fault that your system didn't ask for names on these vouchers and just automatically added mine. Nowhere on the Groupon, anywhere, does it state that these tickets cannot be purchased as a gift and if I am able to purchase multiple tickets, why would there not be a place to add names, especially if they refuse to assist you after the purchase? I work for a group travel company and have purchased event tickets for multiple people numerous times and through numerous companies. Each and every other company does not even allow you to finish the sale without physically typing in a name for each voucher, when they are non-transferable.

Even the woman at the box office used the excuse that the tickets are like a plane ticket! You cannot purchase a plane ticket, or any other non-transferable ticket, without prompting the customer for names to show on the front. Also, even airlines will allow you to change the names on your plane ticket. Groupon just added my name automatically and then basically told me I was out $158.87 without so much as an apology. Your company made the decision not to assist me in any way, even though you were fully capable of making things right in this situation. I am appalled at the way this was handled and the way I was treated and you can be sure I will never purchase another thing from your company.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I attempted placing an order and my credit card company declined the order. My credit card company informed for me I would have to reorder the the items.

I reordered the items and Groupon took it upon themselves to put the order through. I had two duplicate orders. When I tried to cancel the order, I was unable to. When I tried to return the order, the return page was unavailable. I contacted customer service. They don't allow phone calls, online only. It was a nightmare. They were unwilling to help me. 37 emails later and I'm still owed money. Worst company ever.

Original review: March 10, 2019

My 15 year old son saved up money by working all summer for an iPhone. My wife suggested we try the Groupon refurbished iPhone offer. My son wanted to upgrade to a 7 or 8 and that seemed like the best deal for his money. We purchased the phone and opted not to take the extended warranty upsale for $49.00 We were purchasing the phone with the $400 he had saved and since it was an iPhone, we felt comfortable purchasing since several members had iPhones and had no problems.

We purchased the phone September 4, 2018. In December that same year, my son said the phone was acting funny, but he said he turned it off and on and it was back to working. In February, he said the phone was really bad. I asked him why he didn't tell me sooner and he said he just kept turning it off and on and since he is in school half the day, it was usually off. Well the phone went kaput in February and was no longer functioning. I contacted customer support. Told them the issue and they could care less! They told me since I didn't buy the warranty, there was nothing they could do! We spent $400 on that phone and it was done in less than 5 months! Nothing you can do? You can't stand by your product??? This poor kid worked a summer job and you sell him a bum phone and that's it??? Because we didn't do the upsell and buy your warranty???? Why would you sell a bad phone to just get people to purchase your warranties???

Incredible. I went to the carrier and they told me it must have been a bad phone from the beginning!! Think about it... Wholesales you something for $400, it takes a crap on you and they say, "Too bad, should have bought our warranty!!!!" STAND BY YOUR PRODUCTS GROUPON!!! PEOPLE IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THAN IT IS!! I should have checked the reviews beforehand! Waaaaaay too many unhappy people with this iPhone deal. My advice is to stay away from Groupon. I know I will be.

Here is the response: Gabriel (CCR Warranty Exchange). Feb 28, 9:09 AM EST. "Hello, Thank you for contacting Customer Service regarding your request for a return. We regret to inform you that the warranty for the device you are asking to return has expired after 90 days and unfortunately no longer active. Your request to return your item for a replacement is denied. You may want to take your device to a local service repair company in your area to assist you. In addition, you may consider contacting your carrier to determine any insurance coverage. Please accept our apologies, and we hope you can find a solution. Thank you, Customer Service."

Original review: March 9, 2019

I purchased a Groupon for a car wash and it was by far the worst car wash I have ever been to. As the only car there it took over 45 minutes to get it washed and when I was told that my car was done to my surprise the car was still filthy. When contacting Groupon about the issue, I was informed that they can't do anything about it and that I would have to deal with the merchant directly. When explaining to the service rep that I purchased this deal through them and they need to help resolve the issue, the rep became rude and unprofessional with me. The rep stated, “If you ask many time also, solution will be same.” When I confronted him that it was unprofessional to say that he continued to say, “Not at all, I am doing according to our policy.” So you’re telling me being rude is according to Groupon’s policy? I will never be using this service again and advising others to do the same.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I made a purchase for Jazz in the Gardens on Monday 3/4/19 and in the fine print it says "Your tickets will be available in one hour for viewing or printing." After an hour pass I have no tickets. Call customer support immediately and they told me to wait, check my spam, call Ticketmaster and have patience my tickets will be available on Friday the day before my event. So I kept inquiring to get my case escalate for review but nothing happens. I still do not have tickets. Groupon is a scam and needs a class action suit. I will never purchase anything else.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hornblower San Diego Harbor Bay cruises are a great value for your money when offered through Groupon. I've taken at least two different ones. They have onboard refreshments, open top deck and below deck enclosed seating areas. The commentary is both informative and entertaining. Being on the water you get the opportunity to see naval bases and ships, boats, the harbor and marine life. I recommend this to everyone of all ages.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Depending on the item or deal Groupon has some great offers. I will say to make sure to read all the info before taking advantage of the offer. Some items such as electronics may have some exclusions or may be refurbished. But the few offers I have taken advantage of were great.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My mom, sister and I all purchased a Groupon to Seaquest and received an email 4 days later saying the Groupon was expired. I couldn't believe it had already expired so I tried contacting Groupon to find out why they would list something that expired only 4 days later. I could only contact them through chat and the person on the other end was anything but helpful pretty much just saying, “Sorry, there's nothing we can do.” I then reached out to the vendor and found out that they don't even get paid by Groupon once the deal is expired but they are still willing to honor the value we paid.

I immediately realized that this is a corrupt company and started doing a little more research. I found deal after deal stating they were 62% off but when you go to the actual company’s website and look up the price of the service. They are usually only a few more dollars than what the Groupon deal is. I will no longer buy anything from Groupon. They are scam artists in my opinion.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I've been working with Groupon for the past 3 months and my service representative is no longer there. I've tried to get support all day because my Groupon is no longer available. The person who answered the phone via Customer Service was rude and while I understand CS can be challenging she was disrespectful and extremely unhelpful. The person that was initially assigned was wonderful but once you reach out to the general support line... you pretty much get no support. Apparently they don't seem to care much about independent contractors. Very disappointing.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I placed an order in November for Burberry perfume. I have been wearing this perfume for years and was finishing up an old bottle before I got to this one. I have received this as a present for Christmas (from a department store) and not used it for 6 to 9 months and the perfume still smelled great. The bottle that Groupon sent me is either many years old and expired or filled with something that is not Burberry. Like I said, I have been wearing this perfume for years and what Groupon sent smells NOTHING like this perfume. It smells like chemicals and is revolting. I'm incredibly disappointed and would like a refund, which they, of course, won't provide. I prefer to not get ripped off when making a purchase.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I purchased a horseback ride experience with wine tasting for my wife and I for our wedding anniversary. Great deal at $149! When I called the winery stables to book, they said they only took one booking with Groupon daily and said they were overbooked due to recent inclement weather. They offered me an alternative deal over the phone which was too good to pass up. They said I could get my money back from Groupon since the order I placed was under 72 hours old.

I tried in vain to get a hold of someone from Groupon. Groupon has no customer service where you can speak to a person. Their so called online chat is an absolute exercise in futility leaving the user completely and utterly frustrated. The website is no help and their third party chat never returned any of my inquiries. Needless to say, I am out my $149 initial investment and left with a sour taste regarding Groupon. STAY CLEAR of these scam artists! Read all of the reviews for yourselves!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had an offer posted in 2014. Recently I saw it still advertised on Groupon. I contacted them asking them to take it down as it no longer applies to my business, and that it should have been removed in 2014 when I contacted them. I was told that once an ad is up it can never be removed. Business owners BEWARE. There are other services that are run much better than Groupon, companies that actually respect their users.

Original review: March 2, 2019

DO NOT BUY SHOW TICKETS FROM GROUPON! PJ Mask live is coming to my town Madison Wisconsin. I wanted to go but tickets were a little too steep for me. Then Comes my surprise when I see Groupon advertising to me directly on my Facebook page that they have tickets 50% off! I of course bought them and at check out realized it was for a show in LA California. I got immediately to my orders to find a refund button. There isn't one. So I reach out to customer service to explain the issue. They tell me, "No refunds. Too bad." basically. It's just horrible customer service and they know darn well not the right thing to do. They were specifically advertising a show coming to my town, but selling tickets in the other town to trap me. I'm sure they're doing this to many people. It's messed up and I'll never buy anything through them again. I also purchased boots from them in the past that lasted about 1 week.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I had purchased a voucher, followed the instructions perfectly but was having issues with the site. I contacted the company the voucher was for first but they were unable to really help. Knowing that I was past the refund policy time, I used the live chat to see of they could help me. First aggravating experience was: someone introduced themselves. Within a few seconds of the intro, as I was typing out my issue, the "person" started immediately asking if we were still connected.

I typed it out and responded yes, I'm just typing out my problem. He asked for the promo code, etc. I give it to him. The he said that I qualified for some challenge and wanted to send an email. I said no to the email and he said ok, he will deal with the issue first and then send the email. Ok whatever. I didn't respond expecting him to maybe get back to my problem. But he once again asked if we are still connected. Yes, we are I'm waiting on you. Then he says great! Lookout for the email. Yeah. Ok. Can we get back to my problem? He then immediately says there is no refund as I'm past the time limit.

That's not even what I asked about! I responded with "are you even a person". Immature probably but I was so frustrated at the time I didn't care. I ended it because I didn't want to deal with it again. I honestly don't think think their "live chat" is even live. And if it is, that person relied on canned responses way too much and didn't even consider my needs. I sent an email to explain what happened but haven't heard back yet.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have attempted several times to access my account and each time it tells me my email is not recognized. I just spent well over $300 at Christmas using this same email. I tried the chat to resolve this and they were totally clueless and didn't answer me after I told them I wasn't questioning billing. I sent an email and have not received a response and the phone number is worthless. Groupon has approximately $500 of my money in their offers and I have no way to obtain them! (And my account was hacked back in the summer -- and yes, I changed my password at that time).

Groupon Company Information