1.26/5
Based on 95 reviews that contain star ratings

106 Heartland America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2018

On March 13, 2018 I purchased a pair of fisher men's sandals size 10. Shoes were received in a timely manner, but when I opened the box tried on the shoes they were too big, I prepared the box for return and did costing $10.33. To be replaced by a size 9 (Be sure to read the fine print on returns). I waited and waited finally a box came from Heartland. When I opened the box the shoes were a different style called "Black Leather Strap Sandal" size 12. Now no one from Heartland will respond so I am stuck with a pair of shoes wrong size, wrong style. I'm out the shoe cost $42.98 plus the cost of return shipping $10.33. They do not answer their phone, respond to e-mail.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Ordered 5 items on 2/22/18, paid for them, They shipped 2 items by BLUE LABEL on 2/26/18 that have never arrived. Remaining 3 items are backordered by 1 month. Called them on 3/7/18 to find out where my 2 items were that was shipped blue label. Spoke with Linda who said the shipper is bad and do not update their tracking of packages? So I can wait for it to show up, she was obviously not concerned or interested in offering anything else to me just by the tone of her voice. I told her to cancel the 3 backordered items & she asked if I wanted to cancel the VC membership pricing I paid $19.99 for, but they would charge me $6.99 to do that? This company should be put out of business by the State's Attorney General for being such a ripoff! Save yourself the frustration and order from a qualified company!

Get expert buying tips about Deal Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We ordered leather car seat covers. They were on back order so it took a while to get them but the company was very good about keeping us posted and updated. The covers were good and we liked them. But the modem/ router I bought had no serial number because it was refurbished. It came with instructions how to get the serial number "if we needed it". Well of course we needed it. And the instructions involved using an ethernet cord and going on a computer online which wasn't possible for us and even if it was I doubted whether that was even going to work. So I returned the router at a postage of $10. Plus they want another service fee. You already had to pay a service fee when you buy something, I complained and the "manager" said he'd give me a full refund.

So after much trouble following the tracking number with the post office because they said the receiving company has to put "received" on the tracking list and Heartland said that's the post office's responsibility. I did get a refund. But they still charged the service fee and the "discount coupon" I had used. So I lost $7 more on the return. When I complained the "manager" said managers can't promise to waive a service fee. Only the returns department can do that and the customers are not allowed to talk to them. This is a real schlock operation. Only deal with them if you are absolutely sure you are not going to return the item.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have purchased many items and am generally satisfied. However, I purchased an "unlocked" smartphone for $56.00. I tried to buy a sims card for it on two occasions but neither would fit into the slot. The directions showed two different size slots. My phone had one tiny slot. Heartland said go to the manufacturer.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Order 2 items on 12/5/2017. Got one item on 12/14/2017 and still haven't got the second one. Called them 3 times with the 1st response the product is being shipped from supplier, 2nd time the product should be here any days, the 3rd time is the product is being processed. I guess all they're doing is keep telling fake information. Their website is no different cause the order tracking shows all 2 product being prepared for shipment even the one I received on the 14 of December. Tried to cancel and the only answer is I cannot cancel due to they can't stop the shipment process. I figure that maybe the product to arrive in the next 20 years. I know I won't order anything again and plan to refuse it whenever it get here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Heartland America?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Made a purchase on 12/11/2017 and as of today I have received NOTHING!!! After many unanswered emails to the company, I called them and they keep telling me it was shipped but for some reason they cannot give the tracking #, WOW, that so much BS. They say they will call me and they never did, they have promised to give me the tracking # and I never ever received such and SO it was never ever shipped. Probably the MOST AWFUL e-commerce store in the world!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I ordered 2 pairs of shoes. One pair arrived and is ok but the second pair was back-ordered. My credit card was charged for both pairs of shoes. I requested a refund on the unavailable shoes and they gave me a partial credit and shorted me $6.67. I e-mailed them twice and spent about 40 minutes on the phone, mostly on hold, trying to get my additional money. They insisted that they had never charged for the back ordered shoes and they did not owe me any refund. I tried to explain that they already charged me and they already gave me a partial refund. I just wanted the full amount of the refund. The woman assisting me was very unkind in tone of voice - telling me if I had a problem to take up the issue with PAYPAL. Was it worth all the frustration for a mere $6.67? Probably not. Will I EVER buy from them again? Absolutely not.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have ordered from Heartland quite a few times and was well satisfied with the items I had ordered. I knew that the items were not top of the line or a discount company wouldn't be selling it. That being said I will tell you that if they call you and tell you welcome to their discount club tell them right then that you do not want to be a member because if you just say thanks for calling they will hit your credit or debit card for $39.98 without you telling them it's ok.

I got the call and the rep said that they were checking their records and I had been overcharged by $7 for the products that I had ordered and they were giving me a refund on my card and that I would be enrolled as a member now so I would always get a 10% discount on any orders. What he neglected to tell me was that in order to get the credit on my card they would charge me the membership fee. I happened to check my bank the next day and there was no credit just a charge of $39.98. I called their customer service number and was told that was what the charge was. I said I never authorized that and wanted it put back on and I was told only a supervisor could do that and immediately put on hold. I was doing something else at the time so I put the phone on speaker and it had some sorry guitar music playing for 22 minutes at that time the line was disconnected.

I kept the number that they called me from and called it back and was told there would be a credit on my card in 3 or 4 days, the problem is that they didn't tell me which 3 or 4 days so I will have to get VISA to take care of it I guess. I would not recommend this company to anyone because as others have said they are scammers and when you do get hold of someone they are beyond rude. I will do as another reviewer said I am going to file a complaint with the attorney general.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I had ordered for an ab system on July 17th 2017 through the mail. 1st time I had called on August 11th 2017 and was told that the product was on back order and that it would be in on the 23rd. 2nd time I called in I was told again that it was on back order and that it would be in on the 30th of August. 3rd time I called in on the 13th of September I was told that it was still on back order and that It would be in on the 15th of September. I then told them that I wanted my money back and I had told them I wanted to know how long it would take to get the check and I was told 2 weeks.

I called in again today and I was told That the check was written but it would not be mailed out until the 2nd of October. When I had asked why I was told that they only send out so many checks a Month and that my check was not in that group. When I had told the lady that I was told that I would get it in 2 weeks all she could tell me was that the other lady was wrong and that the check would still be mailed out on the 2nd.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Heartland America may have some interesting products and good deals, but I would think twice about purchasing any electronic products from them. I've purchased six electronic products from them. They either flat did not work out of the box, had other serious defects, or failed shortly after their usage. The last straw prompting this review was the purchase of two TV digital to analog converters - one did not work out of the box. Heartland demanded that I contact the manufacturer since the item was within the warranty, period rather than issue an RMA for its return. Payment for this item was of course rejected, which was upheld by my credit card company. The other device failed shortly after usage began, but unfortunately after it had been paid for.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

My parents bought a 5X magnifying lamp from these folks on the 8th of August. They brought it over two days ago, and I put it together as I gave double vision (bad... goes both horizontal and vertical after 3-4 seconds causing migraines and vomiting) I've lost over 34 pounds since the wreck. That is why they purchased it. I was on hold 28 minutes for Robert (refused to identify himself or ID number for call backs (a bad sign)) and finally told me I would have to pay return shipping, plus $2.95 return fee, and to see his reaction I told him I had my laptop and had come to find "the top 95 complaints against them..." there was a lengthy pause then, "Hmpf. Well I've never heard anything like THAT!"

I told him I could give him the website and he could see, but even though I told him how reassured customers would be if he acknowledged they had some problems but he would help them through... he refused, and I knew. They do not care about consumer complaints. That lack of care is a lack of fear. The lack of fear means they counted all this in when they set their prices. That means the money they pay on quick settlements doesn't affect profits. Sounds bad... but that one question gave FIVE clues! And the sum of the four is, if you DO actually carry through, they ARE going to offer a QUICK, therefore quiet (to keep the scam viable) and since Interstate Commerce Laws (especially those cases involving seniors also violate number of laws. [Again and Vulnerable Adults Act] THOSE laws carry up to triple the courts maximum punitive damages!

Anyway, after speaking to "Wayne" (refused to give an identity number too, surprise!) he said because of the costs (ALWAYS TELL THEM YOU'RE A DISABLED SENIOR if you are) and he "offered" an ARS --- Automatic Return Shipping Label. That's supposed to cover shipping costs. But I won't hold my breath.

THAT'S why I wish my parents would get a laptop or upgrade to a smartphone so they can look at these companies before they buy. Just like the call to "Drain The Swamp in D.C.," I hope to inspire you to "Drain Bad Business" by calling them out, and doing whatever is legal to make them fly right. So they don't hurt someone else, parents, grandparents, family or friends. If we hope to bring America out of this hole we're in it has to start by us caring enough TO look out for those we don't even know, because we have to show our worth, not just talk it. Sheepish look, embarrassed... Gets off soapbox... Anyhow, probably burned too... but will try to inform if anything works out.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I sent a check of 43.99 back in May of 2017 for a heavy duty tarp, kept getting back ordered. Finally I just canceled my order and requested a refund. After 3 weeks I called and was told the check was mailed on July 3rd, was told then they would trace and stop pay on said check and reissue another. I don't' think the check was ever mailed. Then I sent an email, Emma ** then told me the check was mailed on July 14th. Now I know that the mail is not that slow. I have no product or no refund. What is the recourse for me? What about the Attorney General of that state. Maybe he needs to know what a rip off company he has in his state. But with all the complaints he probably knows.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I ordered a karaoke machine from them for my grandchildren. When it came and I opened it I found that it was not something a child would use. It didn't have speakers & you would need to hook it up to a TV to use it! I called and asked to return it. They said they would send mail labels which I am still waiting for that. The item was dropped shipped from another company and came with direction that were written in English by someone who didn't know English! This item was misrepresented in the catalog and I would have never ordered it if I had known the minor points that were left out of the description!

Original review: May 26, 2017

I received a product with a manufacturing defect I noticed as soon as I took it out of the packaging. I don't blame Heartland for the product defect. I do blame them for their unfriendly customer return policy. Here are the negatives with my experience on their policy:

1. The back side of the invoice that comes with the product is the return form and label if needed. I really want to keep my invoice, so I have to burn a copy.

2. There is no way to get an online acknowledgement of the return. I can view my order online for status, but that is all. I will have to pay to send the product back at my expense without a RMA or knowing what Heartland plans to do about the return.

3. I have to pay a $2.95 return processing fee, and return shipping to exchange a product that was shipped with a defect. Here again, more expense without a commitment from Heartland as to their resolution.

4. I used a $10 promo code to purchase the product. Not sure if it will apply to the exchange, so I don't know if I will owe an additional $10 to complete the exchange. Also not sure if I will owe another $6.95 shipping fee for the replacement to be shipped.

5. There is a place on the return form to sign that will allow the credit card used for the purchase to billed for the cost of the return/exchange. I am reluctant to agree to unknown fees & charges.

6. After spending 30 minutes on hold waiting for the next available customer rep to find out what my total cost for the exchange would be, I gave up. This is totally unacceptable. The price and delivery time was OK, however, with so many products offered with possible poor mfg. quality standards, customer service after the sale is a must. That means no more Heartland for me.

Original review: May 5, 2017

After reading the experiences of returning products on here, I'm not even going to try. It's a wash and I'm stuck with it. I bought this unit for an emergency jump, and within 2 weeks of its arrival, I needed it. Fully charged it did nothing on the jump. And the spotlight head fell off, pulling out the wires. I checked on the HSN site, and most reviews said the same thing.

I'm a senior, and thought I was buying peace of mind. I also contacted the design/manufacture company for info on reconnecting the pulled wires, and got no response. All I got was a 12 pound PAPERWEIGHT. And no free shipping as advertised, I had to pay extra. Why don't catalog companies vet the products they sell for defects? If I'm going to buy junk items online, I'll do it on Ebay at half the cost. Save your money and DON'T buy this item. You can't count on it for an emergency.

Original review: May 1, 2017

They said I became a valued member and some other kind of member after I bought a lamp from them last year. They said they phoned me, which they did not, and I agreed. Then I find out they took $90 out of my account causing me not to be able to pay my bills on time. Don't trust them. They're running a scam operation to get to your checking account and take what they want from you.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I ordered HD mirror camera online from Heartland America on 3/25/2017. Checked my order status on 4/1/2017, it sitting somewhere in Chaska MN. Sent number of emails to Heartland America, no reply so called today 4/12/2017. Per supervisor Rebecca they will send me a claim letter to be filled out for reship product or full refund, another 7 day for paperwork, then once they get the paperwork that takes another 3 weeks to get the product shipped. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. When customers buy the product online they expect products they ordered not around like this. I hope something can done about this. Thank You.

Original review: April 2, 2017

Order on March 10th from new catalog. Back-order to March 24th, days later e-mail to March 31st. March 31st no delivery. April 1st April 2. Arrival anyone's guess, service at Heartland America stinks. No more of my business small as it is neither should you.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Product No. 02-70337 10x12 Heavy Duty Tarp. This is the cheapest tarp I have ever seen, advertised as HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION. To get my money returned I would have to pay postage when returning, postage, tracking and insurance $10, Product cost was $20. Not use throwing good money after bad so I will just keep this flimsy HEAVY DUTY Tarp to see how long it lasts. The tarp is made by MAXAM. Poor quality product.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I ordered this item that was supposedly in stock on 12/11/2016. I then receive an email on 12/22 that is NOT in stock and been back ordered. I cancelled the order immediately and still awaiting my refund after numerous emails... My first and last order with this outfit.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I found this site via another shopping link while researching dash cams for my SUV. Their selection was limited but I did find the model I was looking for and it was being offered at a very good price in early December. I placed my order online Dec 11th and figured delivery would take place before the 24th. I paid an extra $3.99 for expedited shipping as well.

I did receive an email order confirmation and the delivery date stated unknown at this time. Huh? The item was clearly labeled on their site as "in stock." I sent an email to HeartLand's customer service department and after not receiving a reply in five days, I called. The CS rep said that the dash cam was so popular that it is back ordered and scheduled to be back in their warehouse on Dec. 21 and my unit would ship out directly. I asked if my expedited shipping would guarantee delivery by the 24th. The rep could not guarantee this. I appreciated the honesty but was upset over the entire ordeal. My dash cam arrived securely on Dec 28. I doubt I will be ordering here again.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

I ordered a WiFi Tower Antenna for $33.32 (Promo Code WW22INET) with free shipping on Nov. 14, 2016. The description said it could be used enhance your existing WiFi in your home. When I opened the box to follow the instructions they recommended you disconnect your existing WiFi. Additionally a CD Rom was needed to do the installation and was missing. When I called to complain and was quoted a restocking charge I was assured that due to my situation no stocking fee would be imposed.

I returned the item at my expense. My tracking with the Post Office the package arrived on the 28th. I allowed about 5 days and tried to contact them via phone. They said that all reps were busy and then the line went dead. After trying a number of times I resorted to an email to the company. 3 days later the reply was they were busy and refunds would come in about the next 2 weeks. Finally on Dec. 16th refund was issued minus a little over $8.

To say there's product misrepresentation and sloppy handling of returns is an understatement. They break all norms of what is required by credit card companies in the amount of time that is allowed for refunds. This should certainly be brought to the credit card companies' attention when handling their accounts. Many years ago I ordered various products from them before the computer age and they were just a catalog company, and was satisfied with their products. Shame on me. I should have checked Yelp before resuming business with this company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I got "slammed" by Heartland after ordering for the first time. Phone call welcomed me as a customer and told me about a Value club that I am now a member of without any mention of a fee. A month later I see a $59.99 extra charge on my credit card. I call up and tell them I am not interested in a membership. No push back, just a "we will refund your fee". 4 days later a credit appeared on my credit card. Excellent customer service. 3 stars instead of 5 due to the auto enrollment in the club without full disclosure that there is a fee.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I ordered shoes on November 13. They sent me an email saying they were back ordered. Two weeks later I asked them where the shoes were? They said back ordered to a later date. I asked for a refund no response. I have gone to PayPal to dispute this and force a return. HORRIBLE company! Scammers.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Needed to change something on my order & trying to call customer service is an absolute joke... They never answer the phone & when they do they immediately hang the phone up. The only time that you will actually speak to a person is when you (of course) are placing an order... Down right BS!!! This will be the very last order they will ever get from me. Very poor customer service!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I received a catalog that says on the front & back "Just for you take 10.00 off your order from this catalog. Use code 16682 when ordering. Offer expires 12-31-16." When making my order of a pair of moccasins for 29.99 she said the order had to be a minimum of 30.00, to get the 10.00 off. It does not say that. However on the 10.00 off sticker there is an *. At the bottom of the page in fine print it says check the order form for details. After talking to a supervisor she said she could add insurance to the order for 2.49 that way I would meet the 30.00 Min. I said, "No thanks, you can keep the moccasins," & she hung up. This kind of advertising should be illegal. No way to do business.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I received the item less than 3 weeks ago. I called because there was no discernible On/Off switch. It took several days on the phone to get through to Heartland. They suggested turning the Volume knob which of course had already been tried to no success. Then they said the product was out of warranty despite the fact I had received it less than a month ago. No concern or responsibility on their part; I was simply out of luck. Watch out for consumer fraud with this firm!

Original review: May 18, 2016

No way to cancel an order. Purchased online, but there was no way to cancel online. Called customer service, and waited 50 MINUTES for them to tell me to call PayPal to cancel; they couldn't cancel it in their system. That's B.S. HUGE RIPOFF! Advertised the item as $239 on sale for $99 w/ free shipping, but order came to $125 when they added their extra fees (tax was not included in the $125). After I placed the order, I googled the item to see what other sellers were charging for it. Found Heartland America was selling the exact same item every day on eBay for about $70 w/ $15 shipping.

Original review: May 12, 2016

This company just can't get it right. I placed an order on 5/2/16. I got a confirming email saying item was on back order and would be shipping on 5/6. I then got another email saying that it was now a pair of men's shoes that would be shipped and order backdated to 5/13. I sent an email saying I needed to cancel the order since it was wrong. They sent an email stating that the order had shipped - AFTER JUST TELLING ME IT WAS BACK ORDERED! I then get two emails addressed to George ** about this order - I am not George **. I call customer service this morning, 5/12 and the first thing customer service said was that my order HAD NOT shipped, as stated above, and could be cancelled, however that customer service has nothing to do with online ordering and no control over the emails that are sent out.

Tanya, at customer service, was rude, belligerent and really difficult to deal with and should be fired. I then called the CEO of Heartland, Bruce Brekke, and left a message outlining all of this information. There is a reason there are 75 complaints about this company. I strongly urge anyone considering ordering from Heartland to take their business elsewhere. I also encourage everyone to email the CEO.

Original review: May 9, 2016

Tornado Cordless Leaf Blower - The first time I used the item it broke. It was after their expiration for return. The battery is so heavy that the door can't hold it. It fell out and broke. Heartland needs to test their items before buying it. Their only emphasis is to get it cheap. No regard of its quality.

Heartland America Company Information