Compare Weight Loss Programs

Research top Weight Loss Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I love Slimfast, I lost over 30 lbs after my second child. Simply had one for breakfast then a snack like a piece of fruit or a Slimfast bar. I had a larger lunch and a snack, then dinner I would have another shake that I would put in the blender with a banana and/or espresso to make a frozen smoothie. I normally drink chocolate. Those of you who have stomach cramps, the reason why is the fiber. If you are not getting enough fiber in your daily diet then add fiber suddenly, normally you will have gas or cramping 'til your digestive system gets used to it. Ok face it... for those of you who are afraid of the thickening added to Slimfast. Everything we eat has something in it. You won't be on Slimfast forever if you stick to a good diet. Once you have lost your weight you can stop drinking Slimfast and maybe add an Ensure or Boost to your daily replacement meal drink. I love Slimfast!

I honestly don't know why so many reviewers are having issues with the Slim-Fast advanced nutrition. All of the products are delicious and keep me feeling full. I will agree with the one review that the coffee shake makes my urine smell like coffee for a day. Other than that I love this product.

I bought a box of 4 hour control caramel Almond Hunger control bars. Nasty stuff. The almond stinks. Old almond. It makes you throw up. I guess Slim Fast wants people to lose weight by getting sick eating their products. Shame on Slim Fast. First I thought maybe the bars have expired date on it and Wal Mart is selling them not knowing is outdated but when I read on the packaging it had another 5 months before it expired.

I have been asked by my physician to lose weight before surgery. I had decided to try the SlimFast Protein Drink. I had been advised to watch for all products that add "CARRAGEENAN" to their products for thickening. CARRAGEENAN has very bad reviews and can lead to cancer. So to my dismay, when I was ready to buy SlimFast for a diet routine, I noticed that "CARRAGEENAN" was in their shakes. I immediately decided against this product. I am so disappointed that the makers of SlimFast decided to use CARRAGEENAN in their products. Now let me also tell people that there are a lot of dairy products and other types of products (pizza crust) that have CARRAGEENAN in them. People need to be aware of this & watch for it. Myself and others have written to some of the companies (ex: Almond Milk) and they have removed this product. SLIMFAST think of the livelihood of your customers. Listen to what we say.

I've been heavy most of my life and I've never been a great dieter. I decided to switch it up and try some meal replacement shakes. I went with Slim-Fast. Used unsweetened vanilla soy and the Chocolate Royale powder, blended it with ice, so it was exactly like drinking a choc milk shake. I started on January 7th and replaced 2 meals a day, a balanced dinner with little to no exercise. The most I did was a 30 minute walk to and from my daughter's school. To date, I have lost 70 lbs. I couldn't be more excited. Start weight was a whoopin 209 lbs and I am currently 140 lbs. I would definitely recommend this (and have) to my friends and family. Great product and has changed my life forever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Slim-Fast?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I am 37 years old and have recently decided to get serious about my weight loss. I anticipate a most challenging journey with a goal of losing 100 pounds. I was enthusiastic about eating one balanced meal and substituting the other two with Royal Chocolate Slim-Fast. I did this faithfully for 2 weeks. At first, I felt great. I used unsweetened almond milk to make the shakes. They were enjoyable and satisfying. However, at the end of the two weeks, I had only lost four pounds which is ok, but it should've been more with such a drastic caloric intake shift. I also included exercise in my daily routine.

The deal breaker for me was my face. I started getting large pimples on my face like I have not had in years. My skin has always been pretty clear throughout adulthood. I'm deducing that all the sugar and chocolate wrecked my complexion. Prior to purchase, I was aware of the chemical content and the reviews expressing concern over the unhealthy ingredients in Slim-Fast, but I still wanted to give it a try. I did, and now I'm moving on to something else.

I have been a regular Slim-Fast user for almost 15 years. My daily breakfast would consist of a Slim-Fast and an oatmeal breakfast bar. It was a very convenient way for me to eat breakfast in the morning. It was never about using it as a weight loss drink, it was about starting my day with a nutritious breakfast. When I went to the store to pick up more this week I saw that you had changed your drinks. I would buy the Chocolatey Royale. Your new drink is called Creamy Chocolate. And you cut down from 8 bottles to 4 bottles.

Fine, I can live with that. But when I tried your new drink while driving to work I had to pull the car over because I thought I was going to vomit. I couldn't believe how horrible this new drink tasted. I thought maybe I didn't shake the drink enough before I drank it. But no, even after shaking it my Slim-Fast was possibly the most vile thing I have ever tasted in my life. I poured the rest of my drink onto the street and drove to work very disappointed.

I really don't know what I'm going to do about my breakfast. I have been driving from store to store to see if they had any old Slim-Fast remaining and I have about enough to get through to the end of the month. I cannot stress how HORRIBLE and DISGUSTING your new drinks are. I am hoping that with enough negative feedback you might go back to the old Slim-Fast. Maybe you will need to suck it up like Coca-Cola did and bring back Classic Slim-Fast. You probably won't but I will try to remain as optimistic as possible. Yours truly, a very disappointed ex-Slim-Fast user.

I bought Slim-Fast power 4 days ago. The first time that I drank it at night, it gave me really bad stomach cramps and gases. I was thinking could be the milk and I decided to use only water in the second time. In this case was worse, the stomached was really painful. I wake up with cramps at 4 o clock in the morning and I felt like throwing up everything... I will throw away the rest of it. This is a really bad product.

I started taking the SlimFast shakes about two month ago. I've lost about 15-20 pounds. For me it works. When I first started drinking the shake I notice that sometimes I would get really bad stomach pain in the mornings. Then I notice that it was only when I would drink the bottle that said high protein on it. So I switch it around. I would take a regular one for breakfast and a high protein one for lunch. It's been working like a charm. No complaints at all. I order all my shakes online, that way I have all the flavors and can switch them up.

I drank Slim-Fast when I was overweight as a younger person. Never had any complaints. Now I started to drink it for a week. Lost 3 lbs but it gave me really bad cramps in my stomach and gas that was extremely painful. I will throw away the rest that is left and not drink anymore. Everybody's different. You might not get this pain or symptoms. I'm very unhappy. Advice try one package before you buy a month's worth.

I have been drinking Slimfast shakes (ready to drink) for over 25 years and now without even letting people know they change it and decide to add Stevia as a sweetener. Well I didn't know this but noticed my stomach was really bothering me after drinking which it never did before. I called them and after sidetracking they finally said they added Stevia (doesn't say this on bottle). Then I researched Stevia and find it causes digestive discomfort in many people and is hard on the stomach. Slimfast what are you thinking why would you do this!! I will now be changing to something else for breakfast as I cannot drink these shakes anymore.

I am disappointed in the new size and limited choice of the snack bars. I have substituted Danon Light yogurt with chocolate on top and find them much more satisfying. I still use the shakes but limited choice of flavors is a big turn off.

I buy two boxes a week and I agree with some of the other reviews that sometimes the bars are smaller. Sometimes wider and or so hard you can't bite into them. I can handle the smaller and wider bars. I want fresh product. It's the hard as a rock bars that brought me to this site and I am tired of paying so much for bars I can't eat. :/ Fix it!

Was about to get on this plan again, but based on these negative experiences, decided against it. Thank you all for sharing. Hope the company improves the product. The rating I gave is for the time I used this product which was 29 years ago and I remember achieving decent results - not stellar but a decent start to weight loss which had to be coupled with rigorous exercise. I looked at it more like a detox program. The only thing I did not like at the time was that there was not much variety in SlimFast's products to choose from.

I am determined to once again lose weight. I accomplished losing 30 pounds years ago. I now need to do that again and started back on slim fast. However, there is hardly any product available. I get stuck with chocolate shakes and nothing else. No powder, no flavors, no bars. I have tried many stores. Where can I buy it. Or else give it up?

For the third time in as many weeks, one of the Peanut Butter Crunch Time Snack Bars in a box contained at least one bar that is approximately one half the width of the regular size bars. And they have gotten smaller each year. The taste is usually good, although I have gotten several that are hard and not like the usual peanut butter crunch time.

I am very disappointed in the quality of these bars. They remind me of the Butterfingers I used to eat as a kid. I am frustrated that I am only finding one bar out of about every eight that has not crystallized. My current box has an expiration date of FEB2516VB13. I am assuming these are good til Feb. 25th 2016. Not sure what the VB13 stands for. Am I the only one having this issue?

Bought 2 cans of the powder - 1 chocolate flavored and 1 vanilla flavored. The chocolate was very good. I finished the entire can, and opened the vanilla. Made my first vanilla shake, tasted it, and promptly dumped it down the drain. It has a very nasty aftertaste, bitter and gritty. I mixed it in a blender, so I know it was thoroughly blended. I can't for the life of me understand why there is such a difference between the two flavors. The chocolate was delicious and the shake replaced my lunch. Now I'm stuck with a can that I won't be able to use! Very disappointed with the company. I doubt I'll buy either flavor again. I don't want to have the same thing every day, and I'm not sure I trust the company enough to try a different flavor. Especially since I am on a fixed income, and buying something that I won't use is a huge waste of money - which I don't have a lot of!

I have been drinking protein/replacement shakes for years. Normally I buy Atkins, not because I'm into low carbs-because I'm not. But they have decent protein NO SUGAR, good fiber and they are tasty. But I thought I'd try SLIM FAST. I purchased Cappuccino Delight. Delightful it's NOT: Tastes like **. Gross. Reminds me of burnt coffee beans. 18 G Sugar/it is so sweet. It stays in your system for days.

I ONLY drank maybe 65% before I decided I just couldn't handle the taste or the smell. OMG it smells so bad!!! I had to actually throw it in the garbage outside because it stank up my kitchen so bad. The main issue is this: It stays in your urine. I know it sounds insane but every time I go to the bathroom I smell it. It's been 38 hrs and even though the scent is depleted it’s still there. What is that? Is it vitamins/minerals? I have NEVER in the 40 years have drank ANYTHING except maybe alcohol had a product come through the pores of my skin and in my urine. It’s the not even worth 1 STAR!!! I will NEVER GET the taste out of my mouth. DISGUSTING!

The cans I was used to buying have been replaced by 4 small plastic bottles. They are small. The flavor was what I remembered. I have had 2 bottles. The first gave me stomach pain followed by diarrhea. I had a bottle this morning and within an hour the diarrhea began again. Won't be purchasing again.

I buy slim-fast from Wal-Mart. It's just $7 for the protein powder. Soooo much cheaper than a lot of other shake regimens out there. Love the product look. Of course bottled shakes will cost more - duh! Make your own with milk and powder, so much cheaper. Best of all, I'm seeing results! Thank you, Slim-Fast!

I have been purchasing Slim Fast products for years, mainly the shakes and snack bars and have been very satisfied. I usually buy a couple of boxes of the snack bars at one time and keep them at work. Well the first problem I had was that my local Wal-Mart where I usually purchase the snack bars is no longer carrying them. They have the shakes but not the bars. After finding them at a different local retailer I once again purchased two boxes. When I unwrapped the first snack bar it was noticeably smaller! It seems as though they cut back at least 25% or more on the size of these bars. After eating it I could tell that it did not satisfy my hunger the same as the previous size.

Once again I feel like another product has shrunk the size of their product however are still charging the same price if not more for it! I am VERY disappointed with these snack bars sizes for the price I paid, which was nearly $4.00. I will not be buying these in the future and will be shopping for a different company's product to replace my snacks. I have been a long time customer of slim fast however after this experience I feel other consumers should be warned of this cutback so they can avoid feeling like they were "ripped off" as I was!

When I first tried slim fast, it was in powder form only (yes, many many years ago). It gave me very bad gas and diarrhea. Never tried it again. I cannot use any diet products with fibre in it. For those of you who can tolerate fibre, go to your drugstore and buy cheap fibre pills. Same result as all the overpriced diet products and you save money.

The packaging!!! Why not put a little perforation in that first outer plastic. It frustrates me to no end. Fingernails bending back. On to the next challenge. Now that your fingers are burning from the first task you must attack that foil seal. It is SO ridiculous. "What's in there? Plutonium!" I yell. I know there are larger problems in the world but for some reason battling these bottles everyday really, really bugs me!

I quit using Slim-Fast when it changed from can to plastic bottle because of higher price and because of new bottle. Having forgotten my objections, I just bought S-F again. Never again. It is impossible to get the inner seal off without using a sharp tool or pliers. For me, bare hands is simply not enough. What are they thinking? I need a quick-n-easy meal drink that I can open and consume wherever I am, whether tools are available or not.

The new container contains 10% less product and the same number of calories. It has more Cholesterol and costs more per container. This a huge effective price increase. The bottle has sharp edges that cut your lips as you drink it. We are not only dropping this product but the others including: I Can't Believe its Butter, Vaseline, Ragu, Hellmans, Q-Tips, Ben & Jerry's, Lipton, Wish-Bone and Nexxus. These folks are greedy and dishonest.

Are they out of their minds? Slim-Fast has taken downsizing to a whole new level. First, they go from 6 cans to 4 bottles, and then they reduce the amount in the bottles from 11 ounces to 10 ounces. What used to cost 7.5 cents an ounce, now cost 12.5 cents an ounce. That's a whopping 65% increase! Their greed just cost them a customer. And no longer will I be purchasing any of their other products: Lipton, Wish-Bone, Dove, Hellmann's, Vaseline and Axe.

Like many others, I am disgusted with Unilever's move to change containers and raise the price. It is the same story that others tell - I buy the six-pack of 11-oz cans from Wal-Mart at $5.48, but they changed to a four-pack of 10-oz bottles and the price is the same! I buy two packs per week. I have not made a move to other products yet. I have stayed with Slim-Fast, but I made one vow - I would never buy Slim-Fast again without a coupon. I get two each month from Slim-Fast online and order coupons in bulk on eBay. So far, I have not purchased one product without a coupon. The new container is much harder to open, easy to tip over, and is not easily recycled. The whole new packaging is a bad idea for Unilever!

I was the biggest fan drinking Slim Fast daily and have stopped. The new bottle is hard to open and you can not drink on the run out of the bottle because it cuts your lips. Bad move on Slim Fast packaging.

The new 10oz bottled Slim Fast is not only more expensive than the 11oz can, but they require 3 steps to open (instead of one, making it more difficult for some people). You cannot drink from them or risk cutting your lip. They contain more cholesterol and more sodium, taste more watery, yet magically retained the same amount of calories, protein and fiber as the larger can size. This is a giant step downward for the company. We will no longer be purchasing the liquid Slim Fast products.

Expert Review

JJ VirginWeight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.    More about JJ→

Slim-Fast carries a line of nutrient-enriched bars, snacks, pre-packaged meals, protein powders, and dietary supplements. However, it is most known for its canned shakes that work as meal replacements. In 2009 “Slim-Fast simplified its product line with the "3-2-1" diet plan. The plan emphasized three 100-calorie snacks, two 200-calorie meal replacements (shakes or meal bars) and one dinner.”

• Simplification: 3 snacks, 2 bars or shakes, and 1 sensible dinner: how easy is that? This low-calorie diet, at least initially, will create that fat loss for people who want fast fat loss.
  • Planning: “My Daily Plan” chart that allows you to customize day-by-day what foods you will eat. Planning is key to successful fat loss, and Slim-Fast will appeal to anyone who wants a super-simple fat loss plan.
  • Convenience: Slim-Fast is accessible and convenient. Unlike other plans that require you to pre-order meals, you can find Slim-Fast products in most grocery stores and drugstores. Slim-Fast is for anyone who needs fast, on-the-go, readily available shakes and bars as meal replacements.
  • Emphasis on calories: The program emphasizes calories over food quality. Slim-Fast is a low-calorie diet, which is why it succeeds for some people. Athletes and other very active people who demand a nutrient-rich, higher-calorie diet: Slim-Fast is simply too low in calories.
  • Ingredients: The Rich Royale Shake contains fat-free milk, sugar (3rd ingredient), fructose, hydrogenated soybean oil (trans fat), and several artificial sweeteners (acesulfame potassium, sucralose). With its emphasis on calories, Slim-Fast neglects quality ingredients and nutrients as vital components of healthy fat loss.
  • Best for Teens, college students, busy adults, dieters on a budget, older men and older women.

Compare Weight Loss Programs