3.29/5

Find the right weight loss program for you

Find the right weight loss program for you

87 Slim-Fast Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have been reading all the 1 star given to the Slim-Fast drink products. I for the life of me cannot imagine these are the same drinks I’ve been drinking for a year now. I have never had any of the issues people are complaining about. I have tried all the flavors of the advanced Slim-Fast shakes. I love the caramel and the cappuccino delight. In the year I have been drinking the shakes I have lost 30 #’s and feel great. I use my own snacks during the day such as cheese sticks or summer sausage sticks. It is the easiest diet to stick with. It’s not a diet plan but a way of life plan. I am 74 yrs young and it is difficult to lose weight. My BP and cholesterol have improved over the year. I’m so glad I gave Slim-Fast a chance.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I love the taste and consistency of the Chocolate (bottled) shake, I was never hungry on this program. I had 2 shakes a day, a reasonable dinner and I lost 11 pounds in 2 months. I also used my stationary bike 30 minutes a day. I didn't need snacks. My only complaint is on more than one occasion my shake had lumps in it even though the expiration date was well in the future. It seemed to me the product wasn't mixed well enough because the taste was perfect, not spoiled. However, this makes me not sure about buying it again BUT I love Slim-Fast. I am 67 years old so weight doesn't come off too easy. I miss my Slim-Fast.

Get expert buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I'm not really sure where all of the negative reviews are coming from. I started Slim-Fast a year ago and in 6 months I lost 16 pounds! I am usually horrible when it comes to dieting but the Slim-Fast plan is pretty straightforward and if you really stick to it and don't cheat you will get results! It takes time but it works. The only complaints I do have are the shakes normally don't keep me full for too long and they are high in sugar but otherwise I love Slim-Fast!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

How an 83 year old uses Slim-Fast for a better life! When are people going to figure out that going on a diet to lose weight it takes time to work. My Slim-Fast Diet is as follows: Morning - one six ounce glass of Prune Juice and one bottle of Slim Fast Original. Noon - one bottle of Slim Fast Original. Five PM - a salad with one cup of shredded lettuce, dressing, and sliced black olives and one bottle of Slim-Fast. I have lost ten pounds in the first month of dieting. When I gain those extra ten to twenty pounds this diet plan goes into action! AND IT WORKS!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I can't speak to the negative reviews regarding taste and packaging, since that's subjective, but I do want to address reviews calling this product a "scam". If you follow the program Slimfast recommends (no cheating), you will lose weight, barring some type of medical condition. It's not a magic bullet. It doesn't melt away pounds upon swallowing. It's only what it claims to be: a low-calorie meal replacement that helps with appetite control.

I have read reviews that say it does not help with appetite control and I think I can address that too. When I first started using Slimfast, I was a grazer and, on occasion, a binge eater. Because I was used to eating all day (and drinking pop), when I first started Slimfast, I didn't feel like it helped with appetite control. But after a while, once I got myself out of the habit of grazing, soft drinks and taking in so much food, it did start to help. I would recommend taking a product like Metamucil when using Slimfast, since it seems to bind me up a little. But otherwise, I would recommend this product to someone wanting to shed pounds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Slim-Fast?

Original review: April 22, 2019

The last group of 11 oz has foreign material in it, under magnification it looks like 'SKIN' of some kind and is very unpleasant to drink. This is the first time I have found this, in every can I have. Batch DW or DM18336A 03-01 best by 12 02 19 4A. I have saved a piece. Don **

Original review: March 8, 2019

I need help getting my 89.95 and 79.95 back on my card: The Slim Fast and Lean Result took my money off card without my permission. That is all the money all the money I got. Please help me get it back. I did not sign up on these companies. If I have to call my lawyer Monday morning. Please Help Me. JO **.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought Ketone Slimfast and a bunch of other diet foods at Walmart and when I got home I read on the jar of Slimfast I could text ketoplan to 44222 so I did and it asked me Multiple questions about what foods I like and gave me choices to pick from so I'm thinking that they're offering me a box of food as the price for this was 29.99 and they led me to believe I was purchasing food items and asked me to pay the money and when I did it wasn't until I already paid them did they tell me I paid for a diet PLAN AND SENT ME A LIST OF FOOD TO BUY... OMG!!!

I was angry that I was fooled into buying a grocery list. And I explained to them I misunderstood what I was purchasing and then asked to be refunded and they will not refund and are very rude and are trying to convince me that I knew and that they said clearly what it was about and they did not make it clear enough AND NOW I HAVE HAD TO PAY 29.99 FOR A LIST. I'M VERY UPSET... BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I used this product because I wasn't eating enough. My entire life until 29 I was 135-140 even after having a child. With a hectic schedule and no real will to eat, I figured this could be a great way to get my necessary husband and nutrition. I stayed on my daily eating habits but after this because I was only eating once a day. Since I've stopped using the product with my same eating habits I am now 175 pounds. I still look great but I can't figure out for the life of me what changed except that I super using their product.

People always complain about losing the weight and then gaining the weight and then some back. What if in fact it slows down your metabolism and once you stop drinking it or using their products you in fact they know it back? I think no one's looked into that because they just figured they always been overweight, and oh well. Well that's not my issue, I've always been a good weight for 5'7, so then what changed? We really need to look into what causes people to regain that weight once they stop using the product, I'm pretty sure that everyone isn't always overeating, I'm pretty sure that there's something in the powder or in their smoothies. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it changed the entire dynamic of my body.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been using Slim-Fast from 1990 - first use I developed depression - I did not associate it with Slim-Fast. In the last 5 years I have used Slim-Fast just to test this and I can confirm that this drink is very dangerous and causes mood swings, negative thoughts and total mental imbalance. KEEP AWAY FROM THIS drink. I took a drink of this Slim-Fast bought from Superdrug after 2 months. I halved the amount and I still suffered a setback yesterday and I am unable to think (anything) calmly. The 123 diet helps to lose weight but it comes back very fast.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

This product is full of sugar. I couldn't drink it. I bought the chocolate shake but really it taste very sweet in the mouth. I wonder why don't they make sugar free ones. But I loved the chips. They are so yummy especially the barbecue flavor.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I'm so sick of Slim-Fast's nonsense and false advertising. Their meal replacement bars while they do fill you up are by far my worst enemy. I spent the past two days in agonizing pain farting up a storm with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea nonstop. These bars make you so gassy and cause stomach issues. Nothing has controlled the excessive farts until I finally figured out the culprit. Slim-Fast bars. I have no idea what they are made of but if you wanna spend each day farting nonstop with bad stomach cramps by all means try the Slim-Fast bars. Don't be surprised if you go through the same thing I did. I never had this problem with Atkins bars so will be sticking with them. Slim-Fast is no good.

Original review: July 31, 2018

First, I must say that I really like the Original type of SlimFast meal replacement shake mix. It is easy to use and with a hand blender and some ice it is a refreshing thing. However... there is no such thing as 4 hour hunger control and I suspect that is misleading advertising. I do not normally eat when I am NOT hungry though it might work better then? I eat when hungry so if I am replacing lunch with a 200 cal drink that is not much to sustain a person even after they are used to much reduced meals. I shall continue using this product as it replaces my mid morning and mid afternoon snack.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The new, "prettier" packaging of the shake powder. The packaging is larger, there is a full 2 oz less in it and it tastes like crap. It leaves the most disgusting, bitter taste in your mouth. SO with there being less product and more packaging it is also 3.5$ more than the original, smaller packaging that has more and better quality product. I will not be spending my money on it again, or rather, wasting my money. It's disgusting.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I don't know why people are complaining here, but Slim-Fast is a Godsend. With it I lost 45 pounds in 3.5 months, and that's with no exercise. I went from 249 pounds to my current weight, 204. It also completely reversed my high blood pressure, which was originally 170/104, which then dropped to 108/76 after I had lost 36 pounds at that point. My weight loss has been documented with my PCP, so this is fully verifiable. I even emailed Slim-Fast about it and they wanted to put me up on their site, but I'm a private person and opted out. So for those of you out there who complained, it's not because of the Slim-Fast product. It's because you didn't give it a fair shot.

You can't be drinking booze or wine every weekend, or eat a half gallon of ice cream per week. You have to give up those things that are making you fat, and alcohol and sweets are a major contributing factor. I totally gave up wine, and though I like my M&M's, I'm still doing the Slim-Fast daily. When I first started I was even doing a shake in the morning and then two in the afternoon, and then a regular dinner like chicken and rice, even pizza on Friday sometimes, and I still lost weight. You can't just drink this stuff and continue your normal eating routine. You have to work at it, and I personally guarantee that if you give it an honest shot, you WILL see a difference in one week, just like they promise, and just like I did.

Once I saw that in the mirror, it gave me the enthusiasm and determination to go on. I started off at size 42 pants and 2x Large polo shirts, and now I'm at X-Large polos and size 36 pants. That's 6" off my waistline, and you know what else? When people saw me after I lost all that weight, they were just amazed, telling me how good I looked. You just can't beat that, and how good it feels. Also how good YOU feel. It all just keeps motivating you to go on. So don't complain, just give it an honest shot, and you'll see.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I did not know you have to take Metamucil or something like it before each meal... I had a problem of not being able to go to the bathroom I almost needed a doctor's help. I then took Metamucil before each replacement meal and after two weeks I lost NOTHING... THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Slim Fast Advanced Nutrition Smoothie Creamy Chocolate: bought 2 containers today at Walmart and the contents is NOT smoothie, it is the other chocolate type. This is unacceptable because the other type contains aspartame which will give me a dangerous migraine for days. Both containers have this other product. I could see the powder looked different right away, it mixed differently and it tasted like the chocolate Slim Fast that isn't the smoothie type. What do I do now with the 2 opened containers that I cannot consume? What's for breakfast tomorrow since your product isn't as advertised?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

On 1/7/18 I purchased a box of the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I open the first one and there was mold all over the top. After checking the other cookies, they all had mold on them, some more than others. Use by date 09/01/18. Batch # SF09062017.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Wow, whenever I've "stumble" upon a great, weight loss or appetite control snack over the years, I've always noticed they were foods by Slim-Fast. Currently, I'm addicted to their barbecue flavored potato chips which are much better than the high fat content ones sold at the grocery stores. I eat at least one small, 100 calorie bag of these a day. They are absolutely delicious, addictive and a great mid-day snack to hold me over until dinnertime. I miss their chocolate covered, peanut butter crunch bars so much; I can't find them anywhere. I think they got rid of them last year, because I found hundreds of boxes of them at the 99 cent store nearby.

I bought 30 boxes and went back for more a few months later when I'd finished them. I do NOT tire of these snack and those chocolate, peanut butter bars tasted exactly like Butterfinger candy bars which were my favorite treat as a kid. Slim-Fast also has these great little candy balls that look like mini-malted milk balls except that they're pretzel pieces overlaid with chocolate. Yum... I don't mind their shakes although some people on this site are criticizing their taste. Maybe that's because I always put my chilled shake drink in a blender along with ice cubes and fresh fruit. Those "smoothies" are tasty and to die for; they satisfy my hunger throughout the day and are very filling. I'll be really bummed if Slim-Fast ever goes out of business. They've got a loyal, dedicated (and trim!) fan for life!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have been using Slimfast (Royal Choc) for 5 years now and drink them primarily as my go to morning breakfast shake. These new shakes taste completely horrendous compared to the originals. Just awful... What have you done?! I will no longer buy the shakes due to the new taste and will miss my routine. What’s more, the new packaging is poorly made and the bottles continually break out of the flimsy cardboard containers... Too much trouble. The former twist tops were much more convenient and these new sealed tops are NOT. So disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Last summer I had a problem wanting to vomit after drinking cappuccino. I continued to vomit almost daily after eating. I started to drink it again and once again I heaved. Went online to see if this happens to anyone else. I was shocked I was not the only person. I just bought a number of bottles online since I can't find that flavor in the stores. I will not drink them again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I've been buying the 2 of the four packs of the original, chocolate variety for quite some time. Although they do have the box of 8, I found it more convenient carrying two items instead of one larger box. I'm starting my review with the packaging because when the packaging recently changed, so did the flavor & even consistency. The old packaging had a twist off cap, without any need to peel off anything before opening, then a foil seal. The "new" packaging has a perforated plastic seal that needs to be removed before twisting the cap off. No big deal really... Until I actually tasted one of the new ones. It was watery & gritty and just didn't taste good. I thought maybe I just hadn't shaken it well enough so the next day, I shook extra. NOPE, same gritty, watery, bad tasting stuff. Slim-Fast has been part of my morning routine for quite some time. I'm sad to say I won't be buying it any longer. Undo whatever was recently done, PLEASE!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I've been drinking one bottle of Slim-Fast Cappuccino Delight for two or three years, and before that the milk chocolate flavored drink. I really liked these drinks, but about a month ago when I opened a bottle, the drink smelled rotten. I checked the other three bottles of the four-pack and they also smelled rotten. I figured out that probably because I had had them in my kitchen cabinet for a couple of weeks, they must have spoiled. So after that I put the drinks in the refrigerator as soon as I brought them home from the supermarket.

For a month or so, everything was fine. But this morning, I opened a drink, and there was that some rotten smell. I opened the other three bottles, and they also smelled rotten. I've read the other reviews, and concluded that something has been going on with the way the drink is being prepared. Considering that the company is obviously very well aware of this, I would be very happy to participate in either a complaint to the FDA or a class action lawsuit.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Slim-Fast curbs sweets cravings. It used to make me feel a little sick (years ago when I used it). About a month or two ago I started using again. Not every day. Now I can better handle empty stomach too. I have lost weight with Slimfast exercise/ active. No pop. Good to hear good comments and to know side-effects. Good way to lower blood pressure. Need to lose 50 #. Eat a lot of nuts, fruits/veggies and eggs every day.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I have been using Slim-Fast for over a year and have managed easily to take 20 lbs off and keep it off. I freeze the shakes, like them better that way, and use the plan 3 times a week. I originally decided to try it because it has been around for so long that I thought it must work for someone. I saw so many negative comments that I decided to obtain an account and write a review. I love it!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I ran into a lady in Walmart and saw that she had Slim-Fast in buggy and asked what she thought about it. She says that she has lost weight drinking it but was dieting too, so she has changed her eating habits a bit. She mostly bragged on curbing the appetite. I was all in then. I bought a big box because I will try about anything once. I bought the 4 hr hunger control. Does it work? Doesn't work on me, I still am hungry. I bought creamy chocolate. Does it taste good? If you like the smell of moth balls, that is the sense. I don't mind the protein texture, which some may describe as chalked.

I understand that, but the taste... whoosh! I would rather drink a flavored whey protein drink or Svelte called hello beautiful which is an organic protein shake also sold at Walmart. The cappuccino is awesome, and the taste is unmatched. Good luck if you like Slim-Fast and their new flavor. I had tried it before and didn't remember it tasting so bad. They may need to rethink it and bring back the flavor that worked. Why are companies always wanting to change things were. They were just fine before. :)

Original review: April 4, 2017

It has been over 8 years since I last used Slim-Fast drinks in my daily diet. My busy schedule and now turning 52, I have packed on a few extra pounds, more likely over 20 lbs. Thank God I remembered what helped me in my past. I turned back to the drinks that were formerly in a can, now in a great plastic bottle. I freeze them overnight and by lunch time they are perfectly thawed into a deliciously cold drink. I have IBS and was afraid that it may trigger problems, but fortunately they haven't bothered me one bit. They help take the cravings for the sweets I crave so often far away and fill me enough so when I go home I desire a healthy dinner. I am on my third week of using Slim-Fast again and have noticed a huge difference on how I look and feel. My wife also enjoys the results I have received. I use the Cappuccino, the Milk Chocolate and the Dark Chocolate. I love all three flavors. Dark being my favorite.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I am writing because I have only one complaint about your product. I canNOT open the container very easily. I have attempted several different ways, but to very little avail. Also, due to this situation, I can never "grab and go" with Slim Fast. In this world of hurry, hurry, hurry I would love to have a SlimFast to drink in my car as a snack or whatever. I love the creamy-milk chocolate and drink it daily.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I have been using Slim-Fast creamy milk chocolate for years and love it UNTIL you changed it and the new one "milk chocolate" is undrinkable. Taste very bad. Are you ever going to change it back? Before the change when I needed to lose a few pounds it worked very good. I only have a return receipt because I always buy 2 8-packs and could only return 1 that was unopened.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I tried all the products, bars, shakes etc. I got so sick I had to go to the hospital. I was hospitalized for gastrointestinal issues. The Doctors told me to stop using Slim-Fast and that was what was making me sick.

Slim-Fast expert review by JJ Virgin

Two meals a day are replaced with protein and fiber-rich shakes, bars or cookies and combined with post-meal, low-calorie snacks. One week of shake mix starts around $7. Supplements also available.

• Variety of plans: In addition to SlimFast’s original plan, there are also ones designed for advanced nutrition, advanced energy, diabetic needs and Keto dieters.

• Free quick-start guide: Users can pick a date on the SlimFast website and have a free quick-start guide emailed to them outlining how the program works.

• No prep: Meal replacement shakes can be purchased pre-made or packaged bars and cookies can be used in place of shakes. Pre-portioned, 100-calorie snacks are also available.

• Support network: SlimFast Together is a Facebook support group where you can talk to fellow dieters and also chat with brand ambassadors and those who have successfully lost and kept weight off.

• Nationwide availability: Products are available at stores and supermarkets nationwide or can be delivered through e-commerce sites. Items can also be purchased in bulk.

• Online resources: The SlimFast website contains recipes and tips, as well as nutritional information and coupons.

Profile picture of JJ Virgin
      JJ Virgin Weight Loss Programs Contributing Editor

Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is author of New York Times bestseller “The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days.” She is also the best-selling author of “Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy” as well as a prominent TV and print media personality.

Slim-Fast Company Information