BMW of North America is recalling 257,481 of the following vehicles:
- Model year 2018 540d;
- Model year 2018-2020 530i, 530i xDrive, 540i, 540i xDrive, M550i xDrive, M5, 530e, 530e xDrive, X3 sDrive, X3 xDrive, X3 M40i, X3 M;
- Model year 2019-2020 X4 xDrive, X4 M40i, X4 M, X7 xDrive, X7 M50i, 740Li, 740Li xDrive, 750Li, 750Li xDrive, 8 Series Convertible & Coupe 840i, 840i xDrive, M850i xDrive, X5 sDrive, X5 xDrive, X5 M50i, X6 xDrive, X6 M50i, 330i, 330i xDrive, M340i, M340i xDrive, Z4 sDrive, Z4 M40i, 740Le xDrive & 745Le xDrive;
- Model year 2018-2019 640i xDrive Gran Turismo & Rolls-Royce Phantom;
- Model year 2019 M850i xDrive Gran Coupe &Rolls-Royce Cullinan; and
- Model year 2020 Toyota Supra vehicles.
The back-up camera and display settings can be adjusted such that the rear view image is no longer visible and the system will retain that setting the next time the vehicle is placed in reverse.
The lack of an image in the back-up camera display increases the risk of a crash.
What to do
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will update the back-up camera software free of charge.
The recall is expected to begin November 19, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at (800) 525-7417 or Rolls-Royce at (877) 877-3735. Toyota owners may contact Toyota customer service at (888) 270-9371.