Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1052 BMW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

To all that might take an interest in this; this is my first time posting on any consumer complaint forum. So hopefully people don't make the mistake of purchasing a 2009-2014 BMW with an N63 engine and affects five different vehicle classes. These cars are lemons with a long history of mechanical problems, and a class action lawsuit filed in 2015 for excessive oil consumption, drained batteries, and other problems affected by the oil cooled parts inside the car. Visit: ** to see full notice of the court documents, and full story. The final date for filing any paperwork to claim your vehicle under the class action was October 10th 2018. Too bad BMW has failed to properly notify owners about this, and still continue to sell these cars without advising anyone about the litigation behind them.

In August 2016 I purchased a used 2012 BMW 750LI M Sport with 38,482 miles. The car was sold to me by a private dealership in Los Angeles, and was a one owner lease return that originated from BMW of Santa Monica, CA. The car had a clear title, and free of "defects", and I paid 42K out the door price with tax & extended warranty to protect me through 100K miles for any possible mechanical issues that could arise with the car. Since that time I've had nothing but problems since I bought it that started with minor things like ignition coils, spark plugs, and check engine lights. Excessive oil consumption was noticed immediately the first year I owned it, and constantly had to top off the oil. I've meticulously maintained the car since I've had it and always taken to a certified BMW mechanic. The BMW service centers I don't trust as far as I can throw them, and use a preferred & HONEST BMW mechanic.

In July 2018 I took my car into the shop to diagnose several issues going on with the car which now has 92K miles. I wanted to have my mechanic check everything including doing a brake fluid flush, and oil change prior to making another drive into Southern California from Nevada where I currently live. After inspection my mechanic mentioned that the motor was falling apart; The car had leaking turbo hoses, upper oil pan gasket leak, bad steering pump, excessive oil consumption problems, and the engine valve stem seals were shot and explained why smoke would come out of the tailpipe during cold starting, and lastly an electric short underneath the drivers seat that scorched the material underneath and could have caught fire at some point had it continued. In all I was facing $15,000 dollars to complete all repairs.

We contacted my extended warranty company who handled the situation great. Due to the extent of the engine problems they sent out an adjuster to verify everything and audited my service records to ensure the car had been properly maintained, and also had video scope photos taken inside the engine of oil cooled timing chain to verify there was no engine deposits or oil gunk build up. It was clean as a whistle, and they indicated since the repairs exceeded the value of new engine they authorized a complete engine replacement in addition to fixing the electrical problems with my seat.

The engine was ordered through a BMW dealership in Las Vegas NV in August, and now here we are in November 2018 and still no sign of the engine or status on when we can expect to receive it. Since July I've had a loaner, and paid out of pocket for extensive rental fees, paying for an auto loan on a car that I can't even drive with still $24K left on it, and have had to register the vehicle as non-operable with the state DMV.

After repeated attempts to get a status on the engine by myself personally and my mechanic to get a status on the replacement engine; we still have no information, and appears to be no end in sight. The only reasoning behind the delay of the engine is that "they can't find anyone to make a drive camshaft on this motor". The third party company that used to make this part went out of business and they have no alternative currently. Sounded like complete B.S. to me, and I called them on it stating that it sounded like an excuse. At this point I'm extremely pissed off, and decided to email BMW Group Germany to ask them if they really cared about their customers. I found the CEO & other executive level members of BMW email addresses including their press secretary. I emailed them and demanded a response to this nonsense with the engine replacement.

A couple days later I received a voicemail from a Craig ** @ BMW North America customer care stating that he was calling because I was interested in a "RE-PURCHASE" of the vehicle. I had missed the call because I was on a business trip. I had no clue what a re-purchase entailed or what the qualifications were, but it was something that THEY suggested. I called back the very next morning which was on a Friday, and he didn't answer so left a message to call me back as soon as possible to discuss what he'd mentioned on my voicemail. He waited three days to call me back and returned my call on October 10th 2018. We discussed the re-purchase over the phone which entailed buy back 100% of the vehicle financing, maintenance, and oil used for the car that I had to top off constantly. I loved that option and expressed my interest to get me out of this situation.

He said that unfortunately the deadline had passed to have my paperwork submitted under the class action settlement... I said "What settlement?" I had no clue what he meant. He then said "yeah you're calling about the class action lawsuit right?" I told him that nobody had ever notified me at any point by mail, phone, or email about a class action lawsuit. Confused he said that "well the deadline is October 10th is the deadline to have your request submitted for compensation under the class action". I told Craig that "You know today is October 10th right?"; He confirmed this and said that there was nothing he could do to consider me for the class action since it was past the deadline as of that day, and apologized for the inconvenience.

So I contact BMW - Germany, they contact Craig ** @ BMW North America to ask me about a re-purchase, and then only to tell me that I'm past the deadline and there's nothing he could do. WTF? How does this make any sense? Why am I now just finding out about this class action lawsuit?? I became more irate and phoned the BMW dealership that we ordered my new engine from, and demanded to talk to a service manager or parts department manager. I told them on the phone that during this whole time my car has been in the shop, and we'd been asking for a status on the engine, or alternatives to put me into another car. I asked them directly if they knew about this class action lawsuit pertaining to my engine? When I cornered them they paused on the phone & said... "Yes we knew about it". I said then, "Why did you not say anything about it this whole time?? Why was this kept a secret or not disclosed?"

The person at BMW stated that they were instructed by higher ups not to say anything about it to owners because it was in "litigation, and the car owners would be notified at the appropriate time". They continued the same story about the drive camshaft holding up the production of these replacement motors, and that there was roughly 185 of these engines on back order in the entire country. WOW... talk about a cover up right? I hung up the phone on him, and proceeded to email BMW Group Germany again explaining what I just found out, and that dealerships are hiding this information from people to minimize their exposure & loss due to the class action.

The very next day after I sent that 2nd email I got a call from Craig ** @ BMW North America again stating that they'd be willing to review my case again as a re-purchase option. I proceeded to email Craig my entire file from the shop that we gave my extended warranty company, and all associated service records. Craig said he'd send it out to his "field team" to be reviewed and a determination would be emailed to me once they made their decision on the matter. After waiting a week I emailed Craig to get a status on the re-purchase decision. He contacted me saying that BMW North America had reviewed my case and have declined to approve my re-purchase request. He would not give any reason as to WHY they were rejecting it, and would not tell me who this "field team" was. He said he was not able to name the individuals or dealerships that make the decision for their "Protection". Protection from what??

They also noted on the rejection letter that their last record of service/maintenance records was in February of 2017 which was not true. I had my car serviced at my own BMW certified mechanic, and provided records for that work done, but BMW refused to acknowledge that in their letter to me. So now here are the facts.

BMW continues to sell these vehicles and dealerships are intentionally not advising people that there is litigation behind them starting in 2015 when the class action was filed. BMW offered an "N63 Customer Care Package" at one point to put a band aid on the problem; not calling it a recall, but just making the cars last long enough to make it out of their factory warranties leaving them not liable past that point. BMW has not provided any information or status on when new engines that are paid for out of pocket or by warranty are due to be received. Stating a "drive camshaft" issue is preventing delivery of these engines with no end in sight.

As a consumer I AM SCREWED. No car for almost 6 months, and no money to buy a new one or sell this one to get out of my current loan so I can buy something else. Without delivery of this motor my car is worthless, and no options. BMW Group Germany and BMW North America have zero control of this situation, and dealerships refusing to help take ownership of these problems. This is consumer fraud at its finest, and deliberate false statements, misinformation, are being fed to the public about these N63 motors. The 2009-2014 N63 motors are an aging group entering into high mileage and engines are crapping out with less than 100K miles on them.

This is snake oil folks, and BMW knows it. The class action settlement proves the excessive oil consumption problems, and now these same engines are failing with the valve stem seals resulting in repair costs that exceed a new engine cost. They have not done their best to advise the public of this and I'm sure there's hundreds of people that might be able to relate to my story.

If you have purchased one of these vehicles recently from a dealer, or have extensive repairs resulting in the requirement of a new engine that BMW is not delivering on please email me immediately so we can talk. Right now I know three other people in the Las Vegas area that are affected by this. We need others in the country to step forward & share your story and put a stop to this. BMW & Car Dealerships have screwed the public long enough, and now they need to take ownership of a crappy mass produced product they've put out into the market. Even if you buy an extended warranty you're still not safe; BMW does not have an answer for this, and if you need an engine replacement you'll be waiting until next year.

The biggest issue here is that BMW knows that their warranties are nowhere even close to sufficient with the well known documented issues behind these cars. They continue to sell these vehicles used and keep the information hidden from consumers. This is fraud! Look at the new class action filed this November 18. BMW has been defrauding its customers for years on these faulty motors, and continue to get rich. Someone needs to put a stop to this asap. The evidence is there, and plenty of public record & consumer complaints... how are these guys still in business?? If you've been taken advantage of please do the following: File a complaint with your State Attorney General's office - Contact your local news media - There's three of us here in Las Vegas affected by this and we'd be happy to give a statement & tell our story. If we don't make enough noise this will never stop!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My 2017 330e has less than 6000 miles and broke down while I was out of state on vacation. Needless to say it ruined my vacation having to spend my time dealing with BMW and leaving it in CA while I had to rent a car to get back to NV. 2 weeks in the shop and no loaner car given. BMW offers a reunite program but only 250 miles or under warranty repairs. I call BS! They want to charge me the difference in mileage for the return of my vehicle which is $250. For the amount of money I pay to have this luxury vehicle they can’t get it back to me? I had to get a rental car to get home, now I have to buy a plane ticket to go get it and drive it back? No one will help me and I can’t even get through to customer service. I will never purchase another BMW again. I’m going back to Toyota. They treat you a whole lot better.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Unsafe unreliable products. Owned this vehicle for a year and a half. Have been able to drive it for 4 months of that, with no replacements offered during down time. Don’t have the time or energy left to delve into the details of all the headaches and frustrations with my X6 hybrid, or the $20k+(Seriously, no joke!!) it has cost in repairs the past year and a half.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My BMW X5 diesel 2017 has 16000 miles and has died 2 times in the middle of the road. Abruptly stopped, almost hit twice in the side and rear end. I had a BMW 535 diesel and the same experience at 36,000+ miles. All 3 times, major fuel pump failures with no advanced warning. Stranded two times, 4 hour tow wait time! Uhg! Glad I had AAA towing as a backup!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

BMW limited warranty is a joke, BMW customer relations is a joke, BMW customer reimbursement center is a joke as well. One star is a understatement! Would not waste your time on this overpriced garbage unless you have money to burn and time to waste! Avoid BMW like the plague! Customer service is the pits! Trying to have anything repaired by them is a joke and a waste of time. How many recalls does a car need before they will buy it back? You have been warned. Stay clear.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had a 2006 330i replaced all window regulators at $285.00 per window, replaced cly head assy. Steering angle sensor. Traded that P.O.S. In to BMW dealer for a 2010 X3. I have replaced all 4 window regulators and both rear regulators broke again today 9/19/2018 (no recall???). On this car, steering angle sensor for 4x4 light and brake light on $326.00. On airbag light came on took car to Roseville BMW for recall repair of passenger seat mat on 5/31/2018 they ordered part and said will call me when it comes in, and no one can sit in passenger seat until repaired, well, today is 9/19/2018 and they have not called me that the part is in yet!!!

My 2006 X5 all 4 window regulators, steering angle sensor, oil dip stick tube, 1 door handle carrier assy, front driveline rubber joint, center support bearing assy, r/r airbag, L/Front drive shaft, (this is going out again), fuel sender w/ Pump, has blue smoke at idle, needs valve guide seals replaced at a cost of $10,000.00 to $12,000.00. I just read that BMW built aircraft engines. Thank god they stopped or planes would be dropping from the sky left and right.

BMW is not the ultimate driving machine. They are the ultimate money sucking machine!!! I had a 1988 Buick Regal and never had to replace window regulators. So if you buy one of these P.O.S. I hope you have a healthy savings account. You will need it. BMW USA does not take care of their customers. I would never buy one again!!! BMW are the biggest junk cars ever built. I hope this helps people who are looking for an (ultimate money sucking machine!!!).

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I'm leasing a 2017 230i xDrive Convertible. In one year and 12K miles, I've already had to replace 3 run flat tires at a cost of $400-$500. Now I know why I was offered insurance at the time of my lease, which I didn't take. I've never needed it before. No one explained the issues with these tires. Now I find myself either having to make a one time payment of $1,300 for the insurance for the remainder of my lease; put regular tires on the car but run the risk of damaging the transfer case ($4-5K repair) or continuing replacing tires every time I hit a pothole. This is my Ultimate Driving Experience; NOT!!! Horrific experience; never again; a total disappointment.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I have a BMW X5 (2012) which I purchased new, it had an AC problem however that won't be fixed by BMW. Here is my story on the X5. After warranty is done at 50K miles this is where all the troubles start. Thermostat failure a 2500$ repair, Burnt Oil smell, fluid leak repair $2500 in 2016 by a BMW Repair service. Took it to the dealer to see if it would resolve and he replaced the same Oil Gasket leak at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, CA for roughly $2500 in Aug 2017. Now I take it back to the dealer and ask him about the 2 year warranty and he says it is a different issue and I need to spend another $1500 to get this fixed. There is no end to the excuses for bad repairs but I wanted to call out that my experience with BMW and their repair technicians is so poor that they refuse to accept responsibility or address the issue.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had an issue with a BMW dealership - Coast BMW from San Luis Obispo to be precise. They have been dishonest and unreliable. Save yourself the time, go somewhere else. I contacted BMW customer relations CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com and after a few generic non-answer I was finally told the truth. You are on your own, BMW USA could not care less what happens in the so called BMW dealership.

Here is the official response: “BMW Customer Relations and Services provides aftersales information on warranty, vehicle, and manufacturer-related inquiries. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with information regarding vehicle sales. Since all sales are processed a fulfilled by the sales team at independently owned and operated authorized BMW centers, we recommend continuing to work directly with the sales manager at Coast BMW. The sales manager is in the best position to further assist you with your concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to write to us."

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

X28i X1 - Car with 75000 mile completely shut off in middle of traffic with catastrophic engine failure due to timing chain. We were lucky we were not killed. Cost us $8000 to replace engine (we still owe on the vehicle loan to begin with). Drove the car once and now it needs a new battery and alternator. Piece of crap and BMW should step up and reimburse us for this repair as they know this problem exists.

BMW Company Information