2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.1/5 (1768 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About BMW

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

BMW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I have a BMW 435i and just had to put it in the shop for drivetrain/engine malfunction for the 2nd time. This will, no doubt, be another $2k. BMW's are by far the most overrated, unreliable cars in the world. I am selling it as soon as it is fixed and getting a Toyota Tacoma. Can't wait to get a reliable car/brand.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I have never had a worse experience in purchasing a new car than from Schomp BMW (Highlands Ranch, CO). Sales people were warm and friendly but management and the quality of the car was terrible. The day I took the car off the lot, check engine light came on. Called my sales rep and he asked me to bring the car in to get it reviewed and fixed. Two weeks later, I got the car back. One week after that, engine light came on, yet again. Same as before, waited two weeks to get the car back. I was hoping this was the end of it. One day later, check engine light. At this point, I was incredibly frustrated and concerned that I bought a lemon given its been in the shop 3 times with less than 400 miles on the car.

Asked Schomp BMW to provide an extended warranty given how many times I had to bring it back into the shop for repairs. Management was willing to look into the warranty and mentioned they would go "to bat" for me. They also asked if I would be willing to pay another $1K for the warranty if needed and wanted to "manage expectations". I said absolutely not given the number of issues I have had with the brand new car. They called me back a couple days later and said they could provide the warranty if I pay $2K. That's double what they initially told me! You don't set the anchor price in one conversation and then double it in another. That's Sales 101.

I ended up giving the car back to Schomp and getting a refund. It's a bummer. I really liked the car and was also working with the Sales rep on purchasing another vehicle. They are playing the short game and lost a long-term customer as I will never buy a BWM or another car from a Schomp dealership. What a terrible experience.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I was informed by the BMW dealership that my certified 2017 BMW X1 needed a motor mount replaced. The car has 30K miles and I had driven 5K in a little over a year that I owned the car. The warranty does not cover the motor mount however, after only 30K miles, the part must be defective. Furthermore, the cost was quoted as close to $1500. BMW customer service, after speaking with the dealer negotiated the cost down to $600+. I told the BMW rep that it was still not acceptable and would he send me the details of his conversation with me to my Email.

I wished to pursue the matter. He said that was not possible! I could not appeal the decision and that was final. I rarely have been spoken to in such a manner as if I were an errant school girl. A take it or leave it attitude. Very shocked about how the BMW company is represented. I would characterize the rep as a junkyard dog. There to discourage the customers. I have an appointment to have the part replaced outside the dealership and the cost will be less than $300. I will also be writing a review of the BMW dealership.

Original review: June 11, 2021

So I leased a 2020 430 convertible in July 2019. A month later driving the car in 90° weather after two hours of driving the air-conditioning broke. Brought the car back to the dealership, they said the problem was fixed. A month later same situation. Brought it back, he said it was fixed. The following summer in 90° weather same situation after a few hours of driving air-conditioning stopped. Brought it to a different dealership, problem was fixed, it was not.

Currently two weeks ago in June, driving back from the Jersey shore and 98° weather I stopped at a rest stop and left my daughter and my dog in the car. When I came back I found that the air conditioner had stopped, my daughter who has down syndrome, my dog suffered mild heatstroke. Contacted Bmw multiple times. They tell me that nothing is wrong with the car. And have yet to buy me out of my lease. So worst company ever, this car is a lemon. There’s nothing but problems with these BMWs. Do not purchase or lease then.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Car started giving MAJOR and EXPENSIVE problems around 75k miles. My brother also had a BMW and he had a different model but same issues. These cars are absolute GARBAGE. They will break down and cost you an arm and leg. STAY AWAY!!!! Go with a Honda or Toyota.

Original review: March 31, 2021

My wife and I purchased a 2014 BMW X3 xDrive 28i in August of 2014. The car we chose was a certified preowned car, meaning it had low mileage and additional inspections/warranties applied. We purchased the car with about 7k miles on it and it was a good car for the first few years we owned it. In the last year, we needed to replace several expensive items including the oil gasket, most of which cost upwards of $1k plus.

The final straw was the transmission dying. My wife was on her way home from the store when the vehicle gave her a "Drive Train Malfunction" warning and urged her to pull over and stop the vehicle. Once stopped, the vehicle would no longer allow itself to be shifted out of park. We managed to get it on a flatbed tow truck and then to a repair center. The repair center diagnosed a faulty transmission which baffled them as the car has less than 90k miles on it and had been maintained fully by BMW certified techs. The fact remained, however, that it was indeed the transmission that would need replaced.

If we had decided to go this route, the cost would be roughly $6k and a month of time if we went with a third party repair or closer to $9k if we went with a dealership. The car at this point in its life is worth roughly $10k, so neither repair is worth it. So essentially, we're left with a very heavy paperweight that we now must dispose of. I've had low end beater variety Mazda's last twice as long as this "luxury" vehicle. I will not be purchasing again and will be warning anyone I can get to listen to me off of BMWs going forward.

Original review: March 21, 2021

Attn M owners. I had my 1 yr service at 4500 mi on my M 5 Comp. and was told about a tank ventilation recall. No biggie right! Except the recall service deletes all custom settings I did at delivery and all must be redone BY ME on the phone. No advance warning by the dealer. So I now need to essentially go through the delivery setting process again. Really BMW. Makes me miss my AMG Mercedes.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I family had two BMW vehicles and from my personal experience I absolutely do not recommend. There are many parts that fail within the first five years costing thousands. Be very careful, and simply test drive other vehicles before settling. You will regret it once you find yourself in the dealership service department over and over. Corporate customer service will make it even worse. I called a few times for assistance because I felt I have a defective vehicle. They are arrogant, rude, and will not help you. Thanks for reading my review, you are fair warned.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

The car is beautiful, the customer service is bad. I called when my first lease is up. After so many calls, I thought we solved the problem. I leased another one and everything was okay. Now I tried to lease another one, because my 2017 lease ended. They are telling me that I owed them money from 2014 lease. I called to resolve the issue, they were rude and arguing. They keep telling me different stories. I do not recommend it at all. I think i am going bake to Audi. I tried them before, they were a lot better.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Bought a 2020 M340i xdrive BMW. The proximity feature of the Idrive have been an issue from the day I picked up the vehicle. On the way home from the dealership the doors would not open using the door handles. Had to use the key fob. On day two I called the BMW genius. He had me reboot the Idrive. This fixed the problem for a short time. The way it stands now, we never know when it's going to work. It worked for a couple days recently, only to stop working for the last 2 days. I took it to the dealer when it was not working.

When I got to the dealership, it started working when I arrived at the dealership. They checked for error codes. They said there may be issues with the antenna based on the error codes. The order is in for a new antenna. This was on 10/19/2020. Still have not heard anything from the dealership. It is now 10/27/2020. I don't know where the part is coming from, but I had hoped it would be here by now, and I could see if this fixes the problem. Hoping for the best, but I fear this going to be an issue as long as own the vehicle.

BMW Company Information