2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.1/5 (1769 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About BMW

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

BMW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: July 19, 2021

I was informed by the BMW dealership that my certified 2017 BMW X1 needed a motor mount replaced. The car has 30K miles and I had driven 5K in a little over a year that I owned the car. The warranty does not cover the motor mount however, after only 30K miles, the part must be defective. Furthermore, the cost was quoted as close to $1500. BMW customer service, after speaking with the dealer negotiated the cost down to $600+. I told the BMW rep that it was still not acceptable and would he send me the details of his conversation with me to my Email.

I wished to pursue the matter. He said that was not possible! I could not appeal the decision and that was final. I rarely have been spoken to in such a manner as if I were an errant school girl. A take it or leave it attitude. Very shocked about how the BMW company is represented. I would characterize the rep as a junkyard dog. There to discourage the customers. I have an appointment to have the part replaced outside the dealership and the cost will be less than $300. I will also be writing a review of the BMW dealership.

Original review: June 11, 2021

So I leased a 2020 430 convertible in July 2019. A month later driving the car in 90° weather after two hours of driving the air-conditioning broke. Brought the car back to the dealership, they said the problem was fixed. A month later same situation. Brought it back, he said it was fixed. The following summer in 90° weather same situation after a few hours of driving air-conditioning stopped. Brought it to a different dealership, problem was fixed, it was not.

Currently two weeks ago in June, driving back from the Jersey shore and 98° weather I stopped at a rest stop and left my daughter and my dog in the car. When I came back I found that the air conditioner had stopped, my daughter who has down syndrome, my dog suffered mild heatstroke. Contacted Bmw multiple times. They tell me that nothing is wrong with the car. And have yet to buy me out of my lease. So worst company ever, this car is a lemon. There’s nothing but problems with these BMWs. Do not purchase or lease then.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Car started giving MAJOR and EXPENSIVE problems around 75k miles. My brother also had a BMW and he had a different model but same issues. These cars are absolute GARBAGE. They will break down and cost you an arm and leg. STAY AWAY!!!! Go with a Honda or Toyota.

Original review: March 31, 2021

My wife and I purchased a 2014 BMW X3 xDrive 28i in August of 2014. The car we chose was a certified preowned car, meaning it had low mileage and additional inspections/warranties applied. We purchased the car with about 7k miles on it and it was a good car for the first few years we owned it. In the last year, we needed to replace several expensive items including the oil gasket, most of which cost upwards of $1k plus.

The final straw was the transmission dying. My wife was on her way home from the store when the vehicle gave her a "Drive Train Malfunction" warning and urged her to pull over and stop the vehicle. Once stopped, the vehicle would no longer allow itself to be shifted out of park. We managed to get it on a flatbed tow truck and then to a repair center. The repair center diagnosed a faulty transmission which baffled them as the car has less than 90k miles on it and had been maintained fully by BMW certified techs. The fact remained, however, that it was indeed the transmission that would need replaced.

If we had decided to go this route, the cost would be roughly $6k and a month of time if we went with a third party repair or closer to $9k if we went with a dealership. The car at this point in its life is worth roughly $10k, so neither repair is worth it. So essentially, we're left with a very heavy paperweight that we now must dispose of. I've had low end beater variety Mazda's last twice as long as this "luxury" vehicle. I will not be purchasing again and will be warning anyone I can get to listen to me off of BMWs going forward.

Original review: March 21, 2021

Attn M owners. I had my 1 yr service at 4500 mi on my M 5 Comp. and was told about a tank ventilation recall. No biggie right! Except the recall service deletes all custom settings I did at delivery and all must be redone BY ME on the phone. No advance warning by the dealer. So I now need to essentially go through the delivery setting process again. Really BMW. Makes me miss my AMG Mercedes.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I family had two BMW vehicles and from my personal experience I absolutely do not recommend. There are many parts that fail within the first five years costing thousands. Be very careful, and simply test drive other vehicles before settling. You will regret it once you find yourself in the dealership service department over and over. Corporate customer service will make it even worse. I called a few times for assistance because I felt I have a defective vehicle. They are arrogant, rude, and will not help you. Thanks for reading my review, you are fair warned.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

The car is beautiful, the customer service is bad. I called when my first lease is up. After so many calls, I thought we solved the problem. I leased another one and everything was okay. Now I tried to lease another one, because my 2017 lease ended. They are telling me that I owed them money from 2014 lease. I called to resolve the issue, they were rude and arguing. They keep telling me different stories. I do not recommend it at all. I think i am going bake to Audi. I tried them before, they were a lot better.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Bought a 2020 M340i xdrive BMW. The proximity feature of the Idrive have been an issue from the day I picked up the vehicle. On the way home from the dealership the doors would not open using the door handles. Had to use the key fob. On day two I called the BMW genius. He had me reboot the Idrive. This fixed the problem for a short time. The way it stands now, we never know when it's going to work. It worked for a couple days recently, only to stop working for the last 2 days. I took it to the dealer when it was not working.

When I got to the dealership, it started working when I arrived at the dealership. They checked for error codes. They said there may be issues with the antenna based on the error codes. The order is in for a new antenna. This was on 10/19/2020. Still have not heard anything from the dealership. It is now 10/27/2020. I don't know where the part is coming from, but I had hoped it would be here by now, and I could see if this fixes the problem. Hoping for the best, but I fear this going to be an issue as long as own the vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Awesome car to drive. I am on my 4th BMW. But this will be my last. My current car is a 335i. I need a footwear module. I cannot drive the car because of this part needs replaced. I contacted BMW because my car is just out of the warranty. Now mind you BMW extended this warranty because this part was defective. So knowing that asking for any help to cover the cost seemed reasonable. My car has 60k. It's a 2010. The warranty is 10 years 156k. I was told BMW won't help not one penny. Because of the age. Now owning 4 of these cars. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of money I have spent on repairs over the years. So now knowing I have to eat this cost. I am told 30-60 day to even get the part. So thanks BMW. I won't have a car to drive till I can get this handled. So once this puppy is fixed. I WILL BE TRADING IT IN! This is the last BMW I will own.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have had a love affair with BMW since the mid 1990's, however I'm sorry to say that relationship is on the rocks. Having had 3 brand new BMW cars and one new BMW motorcycle I can now say that "BMW quality" is no longer a corporate mandate, just a slogan. What was once (with proper care) a vehicle that you could rely on, be proud of and enjoy has become the brand of "what next". I say this as my X3 sits in a service bay to replace the drivers side mirror which fell off! $1300 To replace something not broken not damaged but the latest in a long line part failures that was preceded by a motorcycle that I literally had to throw away.

WHAT? Yes a 2003 R1200C with less than 12000 miles stored in my hanger that in 2014 turned into junk because of cheap manufacturing processes, poor quality wiring and metal plating that literally fell off. Sound familiar, among exterior body reflectors and interior parts that have fallen off or delaminated on the X3 the one that has convinced me is the drivers door handle that is slowly turning into black goop and when I showed it to the service writer he said and I quote "On the earlier models you had to replace the entire door panel".... As I said in the beginning not worth the money, because you are paying for quality that is no longer there.

BMW Company Information