3.5/5 (2879 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About BMW

BMW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

The lane assist feature is supposed to make the car safer but it gets confused by construction or other issues. Sometimes you feel drag when you have to change lanes which is not a big deal but we came to a place where there was construction and the lane assist took control of the steering panel causing our vehicle to swerve into a barrier on the highway. BMW of course said we deliberately drove off the road and billed our insurance. My concern was with safety because our child was in the back seat but they clearly have no plans to fix this defect. If you have lane assist on your car deactivate it immediately. In most circumstances it may be fine but if there is construction or the lanes are improperly labeled on the road it could kill you.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

As much as I used to love BMW, I have learned to hate them even more. The engines in the BMW x3 28i from 2013-2017 are garbage. After 70k miles and routine care by BMW, my engine seized. In 2021 a class action was won, yet hundreds of these vehicles have the same problem and diagnosis. You would think BMW would take responsibility for the faulty parts that make up the engine series, yet they continue to make more money and forget about those who suffer.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

July 2017 I took my X5 to get serviced for air suspension problem. You can hear the air bleed out of the suspension system, thus no suspension when I drive. I took it to the dealer to get serviced…There were no codes, nothing found, and the issue could not be replicated. I still have the issue with no air being held for the suspension system. Is this remotely done? If so why does a car have this capability? I can be driving and all of a sudden the air in the suspension is gone. I can be at home and ready to leave. Hear the air compressor turn on, and hear at the same time air from the suspension system come out as a hissing sound. Thus the air suspension never finalizes and the air compressor keeps running. Finally the air compressor stops with no lift seen in my X5. After many tries there may be air in the suspension but it won’t last like usual. This started happening once I moved to Brazoria County in Texas.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

2018 BMW 740i has dashboard delamination, leather is peeling and shrinking around the heads up display and end of dash adjacent to the pillar. Customer service won't help, completely got political responses from agent, like he was reading a script. Please make sure before you buy one of their cars that they finally don't go the extra mile for a luxury lineup of vehicles.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I used to think BMWs were nice cars. After having maybe 8 or 9 I discovered bmw is the worst car to get. Every part you have to install they have to do it and program it to the car.. Then play games about every little thing. Pls don't waste money on this junk cars no more. Buy a Kia or Honda or Toyota but please save yourself a headache.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I purchased a BMW X1 Hybrid xDrive25e Sport 1.5i PHEV (reg: **) on 14 May 2022 and was told that BMW assistance would help with issues on the road. On Friday evening, 26 August, I had a flat tire and called BMW assistance. They picked my vehicle up and told me that it would be dropped off at a local dealer. From thereon began a series of nightmares with no communication from BMW assistance, until I called them on Saturday morning to check the status of the car and courtesy car. After a series of calls, I found that the car had been handed over to BMW Thames Ditton and I would need to call Enterprise to get a courtesy car. After that there was a series of calls between BMW assistance and BMW Thames Ditton having to plead to get the courtesy car and check for the status on my car.

Finally, after a lot of imploring, I was provided with assistance in getting a courtesy vehicle but had no status on the vehicle still. With bank holiday, Tuesday was spent chasing BMW Thames Ditton continuously to get status on the vehicle. BMW assistance refused to help as they said that this was now ownership with the dealer. Finally, at 6PM someone at the dealership found that BMW assistance had sent the car to the wrong place and should have updated the system to get this corrected. They agreed to get the tire changed but were unwilling to assist any further.

One of the reasons for buying a BMW was that being a reputable brand, one thing I would be assured of was good customer service. However, with this entire experience and the appalling service that I was provided, I feel totally let down and have lost complete faith in this brand. I would have expected this to be a simple process of the car being collected, taken to the correct dealership for repair and being provided with a courtesy car. Given my recent experience, I have decided that I will not continue with BMW after the end of this contract. If a company doesn't value its customers, then as a customer, I do not see not see any point continuing with the brand.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

BMW car on fire. Beware! After driving 20 km near Bilbao, our five year old BMW X1 started pouring smoke, with no prior notice. Then fire broke out. We were lucky enough to escape, my wife, her 87 year old mother, and our dog. We informed BMW-Munich (customer dep) the car was just burnt steel, and asked for some help. The car had all its servicing done at BMW official points in Spain. It was an automatic, 150 HP diesel engine, four wheel drive. BMW sent an engineer to analyse the remains. It was a faulty EGR? Particle filter? Turbo? Four months later BMW sent a polite letter, saying they had found no origin for the fire. Not a cent to buy a new car. You expect a better treatment from a premium firm like BMW, but it has been a very disappointing experience.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I recently bought a 2022 BMW X5. It currently has 9000 miles and I have owned it less than a year. My car started showing a "Passenger Restraint Problem" notification and indicated I should take it to the dealer. The Dealership has told me that water damage leaked through the console and damaged the sensor that will activate the airbags, and that this would not be covered under warranty and it resulted from water damage and the repair cost is $2,500. I have taken impeccable care of this car. Other than a minor spill that would have been wiped up immediately, there has been no water damage to the vehicle. I live in Colorado, an incredibly dry climate.

There is clearly a design defect with this vehicle if water can get to an airbag sensor ... in less than a year of this car being on the road. So beware, I have raised this with BMW North America and so far they are NOT taking responsibility. If I repair this sensor, how would I know it won't happen again next month? OR what if the next sensor is as shoddily made as this one .. and goes bad and I don't get the sensor notice, and the airbags stop working. Overall, to buy a new car and have something like this happen outside of warranty is beyond my imagination. Do yourself a favor and spend your $90,000 on an audi or similar company that stands by the safety of the cars they sell!

Original review: June 7, 2022

BMW, unfortunately after supporting the brand since 1979, 10 cars, has turned in to a most unethical manufacturer. I have an X5 that at <14,000 miles showed what has been identified by Pensky BMW certified collision shop as solvent popping, 100% created by the manufacturer by not letting the solvents of the under laying paints properly cure before sealing with the clear coat. There is absolutely nothing anyone could do to create these defects under the clear coat, which is smooth, shiny and 100% intact. There are what appear as appx 100 tiny sand marks in the paint, under the clear. The issue was explained to me as being created at the paint application process, in some cases will not show up for a few years after new car inspection. The hood and top need to be sanded down and painted properly.

BMW refuses to add any customer assistance, $4666 repair. Now I understand issues happen out of our control, it’s the quality of the company you do business with as to how these issues are handled, BMW is showing their colors. To have a company the status of BMW dish out such decisions is unethical and in my opinion foolish business practices. The BMW Arizona zone manager refused assistance without any contact or inspection, nice job! Now I am forced to repair on my own.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My X3 started acting up a few weeks back by locking up the brakes and couldn't move forward without turning the vehicle off and start again. No error coded came up at all. Eventually the problem got worse and I took it to get checked, they replace the caliper and drain the brake fluid. It worked for a days, but the problem persisted and it got worse. Got it checked again and seems that the DSC Hydro Unit has failed. Still no error codes. To replace the Hydro Unit, the dealer is charging over 4K for the part plus labor on top of that. The Hydro Unit is in back order in Germany for 2 months. So now I am without a car and they are not offering a rental due to expired warranty. Is it even worth fixing? The dealer said most people won't due to cost. This is a common issue they see with BMWs.

So one would think how can an electronic part that is extremely important to the performance of the vehicle be made not to send the proper error code and warn you of the problem? Why is it so expensive and why is it common to brake? This is not only a major BMW design failure but a safety problem with the vehicle that I feel obligated to report to the National Highway Traffic Safety. If you're in the market for a fancy vehicle, you better look the other way and bypass this brand. I know I will and will make sure my family and friends do as well.

BMW Company Information