2.89/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

1044 BMW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I had an issue with a BMW dealership - Coast BMW from San Luis Obispo to be precise. They have been dishonest and unreliable. Save yourself the time, go somewhere else. I contacted BMW customer relations CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com and after a few generic non-answer I was finally told the truth. You are on your own, BMW USA could not care less what happens in the so called BMW dealership.

Here is the official response: “BMW Customer Relations and Services provides aftersales information on warranty, vehicle, and manufacturer-related inquiries. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with information regarding vehicle sales. Since all sales are processed a fulfilled by the sales team at independently owned and operated authorized BMW centers, we recommend continuing to work directly with the sales manager at Coast BMW. The sales manager is in the best position to further assist you with your concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to write to us."

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

X28i X1 - Car with 75000 mile completely shut off in middle of traffic with catastrophic engine failure due to timing chain. We were lucky we were not killed. Cost us $8000 to replace engine (we still owe on the vehicle loan to begin with). Drove the car once and now it needs a new battery and alternator. Piece of crap and BMW should step up and reimburse us for this repair as they know this problem exists.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am leasing a 2017 BMW 330i BMW. I really like my BMW car. On Sunday July the 30th my daughter and her daughter three month old baby girl were in the back seat in my BMW. My daughter ask if I would stop her Wendy's at 3041 Headland Dr. When my daughter got out of the car to go into Wendy's her daughter was asleep. I was sitting in the first seat on my phone. After about two minutes later I heard my granddaughter crying. I opened my door to get out and to get in the back seat with my three month old granddaughter. I shut the driver's door and went to open the back door and it was locked and went back to open the driver's door which I had just got out of and it was locked also. I checked all doors and they were all locked.

I was devastated. My three month granddaughter was lock in the car and crying. I could not understand this at all because my keys to the car was still in the car and the car was still running. I was so upset, I ran into Wendy's to tell my daughter and to ask for help. All this time my three month old granddaughter was in the car still crying really bad. My daughter and about six other people ran out of Wendy's to my car to help. Because all doors were locked a young lady had to break the back window on the BMW for us to get the door open to get my granddaughter. We got my granddaughter out ok but she did have broken glass all over her from the young lady breaking the window. Your BMW Lover.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We financed a used Lemony Fresh BMW 328i from BMW North Scottsdale less than 6 months ago and have been defrauded out of $25,000 purchase and stuck paying $415 a month for a car I cannot use and have been fighting BMW North Scottsdale for the last 6 months to do the right thing. When we purchased the vehicle we were told the vehicle had undergone a comprehensive multi-point inspection and that it was ready to be driven. We were pressured into buying the most expensive "Platinum Extended Warranty" to cover all of the major repairs like the engine components. Since we have purchased the car it has been in the service center more than it has been driven.

The first problem we had was all of the seat belts stopped working simultaneously we were charged a $200.00 service "cleaning" fee as they found toothpicks in the seat belts instead of covering it under the lifetime seat belt warranty. The car had a systematic vacuum pump failure which should have been covered under the recall "13V454000" or even the "platinum extended warranty" both of which were denied as the recall was VIN specific despite the fact that it exempted the same symptoms. The Warranty claimed they didn't have it on their list of parts covered even though its a mandatory part of the engine to function. This has caused the car to catch on fire while my kids were in it, put billows of smoke inside the cabin of the car and make it unsafe to drive since the day we bought it.

We have sent the car into their service center and have attempted to resolve this issue at least 4x now and they refuse to acknowledge or fix the issue without us paying for it. If this is what BMW North Scottsdale or “Penske Automotive” stands for save your money. Go to CHAPMAN BMW Instead! The service people at BMW advised us to purchase another car vs fixing this one. All of this in less than 6 months… I am under the impression that not only did they have knowledge of this failure prior to selling the car but they sold it to us on purpose with the intent of defrauding us out of a working vehicle so they could just get rid of it as quickly as possible as we have not been able to drive this car more than it has been out of commission. We have already put thousands of dollars into this vehicle being repaired and now they want an additional $3,611.00 to fix the issues with the car.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Replaced and paid 1000 dollars for front side camera on a BMW 550I 2011-2012. This issue was caused due the faulty design of camera system where the water intrudes and damages the camera and wire harness. This should be recall and be replaced in all BMW maintained cars. Totally tired of this car since as it has given me so much stress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have been in contact with Tom ** BMW, Jacksonville, FL and there is a 280$ charge for the water test, plus the cost of repair, and I have to have my windshield replaced because the stripping is coming apart. I am appalled that I have had so many issues with this vehicle (2012 BMW 335i). When I purchased this car, my thinking was that I was receiving a premium vehicle; it is far from that. I could have saved a lot of money and purchased a Hyundai and still not have had this problems that I have had with this one. Thank you for taking time to read my complaint.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I drive the X3 M series. It has paddle shifters on the steering column making it a fun alternative to your standard automatic. The heads up display is something I never want to miss again since it helps tremendously when you are using the navigation system. No more taking your eyes off the road to look at a screen.

Original review: June 26, 2018

My overall experience with my BMW 4-Series Grand Coupe model: sports ride, awesome performance and sleek style. I like the navigation package because visually it is appealing and has several functionalities that are easy to use. The heated steering heats up to a comfortable setting for my hands. The heated seats, front and back, is extremely useful for my family on cold days. The seats are typical for a sports car. However, for a BMW, I expect that the seat should be more comfortable. Right now, the seats are too hard and very uncomfortable. I do not like the seats at all. In fact, I use Anne sit on a cushion in the not comfortable.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I absolutely love the 2017 BMW 7-Series. This is my second BMW and it's my all time favorite. This car drives like nothing I have driven before. I had owned a series 3 prior to this purchase and found that it was easy to park, but just not big enough for everything we do. That was the main determining factor in purchasing this car. The leg room in the back is what you find in the front seat. No worrying about the front seat hitting your knees when the front seat is adjusted. With the front seats as far back as possible, there is still ample leg room, even for a tall person.

The only thing that I have an issue about is the hefty repair charges. In the previous car, quite a bit after the warranty expired, I needed some repairs done. After purchasing the new model, we found the repair bill for the old car. It was nearly the amount that we put down as the cash deposit. Repairs can get expensive but it is worth it. All the controls are easy to read and figure out. The music that comes with the car is phenomenal. I have never heard speakers sound this good in factory sound system. Typically if you want sounds this good you would need to purchase a new stereo package as an after purchase add on. Also, the way it hugs the corners and curves is unbelievable. This is the smoothest ride ever.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have truly enjoyed the 2014 BMW convertible. It is just fun to drive. I often get told how nice it is. The take off is fast and the controls on the wheel make it less distracting to answer phone or navigate the radio. The overall look is very attractive. I am very short and the seats fit me perfectly. They allow a large range of positions so it also helps my pain from a cancer removal. By the way, the truck release on the key remote drives me nuts. It's like it has a combination of buttons to hit. The car also has a very small trunk so I am not able to purchase larger items.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We love the style lines and color of BMW 328i. It's a well-rounded car with its size, luxury features, maintenance and insurance costs. When test driving it we were really impressed with how quickly it responds to the driver. It drives like a dream. We also like the convenience features, quality feels when you close the doors and touch the fabrics/ Materials used inside. Very pretty color and we enjoyed the car dealership's low pressure, friendly and helpful attitude. Phone interaction and price were all attractive to us. However, I wish the engine sounded deeper/ Stronger. Wish it had a standard rearview camera, it seems strange a luxury car brand would not have this as standard today. Also, why do all BWM's eventually smell like crayon?

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have a BMW X3 30i and my brake light, 4x4 light, and airbag light came on. I found out it may be my actuator, transfer case, or transfer gear. Anyways to make a long story short, I looked up this issue and found out this is not just a small problem but many older BMWs are all having the same problem. Apparently, they made the transfer gear out of plastic which tends to wear out right away. I thought this was something that maybe just a few cars were experiencing, but going on the internet, a lot of these BMWs are having the same problem. Is there a recall for this issue because there should be if BMW is making this actuator to fail on a lot of BMWs.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have a 2013 BMW 328i with just under 40,000 miles. The fuel pump went out last Friday 6/15/2018. No excuse for a fuel pump going out at this point. It is still under the 50,000 mile warranty criteria, but over the time limit. I received no satisfaction from the dealer or BMW customer service for replacing the pump at no cost or reduced cost to me. Apparently BMW values dollars over customer service and reliability. Highly recommend against anyone purchasing a BMW.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I purchased this BMW 330i vehicle used and while I got it for a great deal, I've had issues with it ever since. First, the engine went out then had issues with the car stalling. Not so good luck with the vehicle. It dawned on me that the previous owners probably did not take care of the vehicle which is why it had so many issues. Nevertheless, the car does have good features such as heated seats. I also like how the battery is located in the back. The car is really good in bad weather conditions such as snow and ice. I also like how there is a computerized screen which has various options on it for service and radio.

Still, I would definitely fix some of the maintenance features of the vehicle and make it so that any mechanic can fix the issue without needing a code from the BMW dealer. I would also change it or have it so that when there is an electrical failure, there is a way to override using the windows and unlocking and locking the doors. With those main issues fixed I would enjoy the vehicle so much more.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I chose BMW S3 because, although roomy enough for my family of five, it still feels more sporty than mini SUV. I love the sunroof, the leather seats, and other features that make it feel like a true luxury vehicle with great engineering. However, I don't like that maintenance and repair can be very costly. Also, the ride is a little jarring, and not as smooth as I would like. Nevertheless, I have really enjoyed driving my car. The control, and, road handling are amazing. The pick up is phenomenal, the steering is clean and tight, the ease and power of driving it make even boring tasks desirable. It's a great driving experience.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've always wanted a BMW. When I chose this car I was not looking to buy a car but I fell in love with the look of this car. Then I took it for a test drive and found that it was such a fun car to drive. I was hooked and it drove like a dream. It's very fast and handles very well. It's also beautiful and comfortable. I loved the color combination with the black exterior and gray interior. It has many airbags and it's a very safe car to drive. I also love that it has a GPS in the dash. And I like that I can switch from comfort mode to fast with a touch of a button. I like the backup camera as it comes in very handy too. But I wish I had paid more attention to the back seat as it is very tight. Although, it is comfortable if you're very short. Other than that, I would recommend this car to family and friends. Will also only buy BMW from now on.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought 2013 ActiveHybrid 3 from Patrick BMW at 15000 miles. (Certified Car), this car has been in and out of dealership for multiple issues, electrical and body. For some reason they are not able to fix the car. It is quite frustrating that both dealership and BMW North America is not willing to take up the responsibility for manufacturing the faulty vehicle and selling the faulty vehicle. The resolution that the BMW North America offered for a vehicle worth over US $30000 driven only 15000 miles that stayed in dealership (in and out) was only $1000 and that's it. I totally feel cheated and robbed in daylight by Patrick BMW and BMW North America. My suggestion: Do not BUY BMW you feel or "ULTIMATE FOOLING MACHINE".

Original review: June 13, 2018

The BMW 300 is great for everyday driving. I love driving its 6 speed manual transmission! It's super fun to drive around town as well as long distances. The hands free features are also well designed. But, even though it's a German car, it's awful in the snow. We were very surprised by the poor handling in snowy conditions. We would not purchase this model again because of the climate we live in. It does not handle slick roads or snow well at all. Taking this into consideration, we might look at a different model. We really only bought it for the manual transmission.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I leased a 2015 BMW 428I - I have had timely payment without interruptions. I have had very minor maintenance issues. BUT it seems as I have found myself with an ongoing to date unresolved electrical issue -- specific to the radio. I have take this car 5 times back to the dealer to no avail. I am without my car for days and sometime weeks. And it seems as if they cant get it right. As I am now again experiencing malfunctions yet again with the RADIO. I have exhausted all energy with this. My lease is up in two months --- I have opted to contact BMW and suggest/offer to at this point just return the car two months early as it makes no sense to again take the car back to the dealer for the SAME ongoing issue and have them keep the car for days and so thereafter have the same issue reappear.

I was insulted and disappointed that I was offered to take the car back early without being charged for the last two months of the lease BUT only if I agreed to purchase another car... What a major insult to my current situation. I would have expected a prestigious establishment to OWN their LEMON and offer me an amicable solution enough to have me re-gain confidence in not only there product BUT the way that treat/satisfy their customers. After rejecting the horrible offer I was told they will revisit and have me wait until June 7th -- for my final answer. Very disappointing to say the least. My situation has been established by records of the amount of times this car has been worked on for the SAME issue. But yet they want me to wait an additional week. SHAME ON BMW USA.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My 2012 BMW X5 was recalled and I took it to BMW of North Scottsdale to have the work done. They had to remove the oil filter or something and apparently did not bleed it properly. I went on a trip and limped into Denver where I took it to Schomp BMW. They had to replace the oil pump ---it must have burned out due to air in the line. NOW apparently due to the oil pump going out the ENGINE has major problems and the cheapest way to fix it is replace the engine. There is a rocker arm problem with some of this year's but mine is not in the VIN # for that problem so is likely a rod.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Driving on major road and car suddenly dies with warning that drive train malfunctioned. Car would not restart blocked a lane of traffic, feared being hit from behind since on major roadway. Car had to be towed cannot put in neutral to pull off roadway. Thank goodness police office was able to park behind and flashlights until tow truck arrived. Disappointed in 2014 BMW 328i.

Original review: May 4, 2018

For a luxury car, this is a piece of crap. We bought a 528i, and 2 years later the thing is nothing but problems. The heater does not blow hot air unless you max the thermostat out. The fan won’t blow air unless you max the fan speed out. The vents fall apart and are not covered under warranty or extended warranty. Took it to the dealer and they said it was all normal and accused us of user error breaking the vents. No one sits in the back seat, but yet the vent broke. Total BS. Will never buy another one of these crappy cars.

I have a BMW X5 as well, also crappy piece of junk. They can’t even honor their warranty or roadside service commitments. Total waste of money. Hendrick BMW in Pleasanton California is the dealership that we used and they are substandard. Never been so ignored by any car dealership. Took all day to get an update on a car they had for 3 + days, only to get all the BS answers about why they could not do any of the repairs. Just BS about normal function and blamed us for their ** falling apart.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The 2006 BMW Z4 has a wonderful engine, smooth and powerful. Repairs are expensive so take care of it. It is nice to drive. Older models are very well equipped but not too technical. Good value for an older roadster.

Original review: May 1, 2018

BMW X1 is a wonderful auto. But lease is expensive and living in NYC means that use is limited. This is because of traffic congestion, crazy bike riders and poor driving habits of many motorists. Insurance cost is also too high as is parking. So not economically feasible for such a high priced vehicle. But I love it. Next time may buy Subaru or use on demand car rental services by BMW/Mercedes if they develop here in NYC.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Great power and very good fuel consumption. Very hard ride for an SUV due to the run-flat tyres. There is ample space for a spare so would be better with conventional tyres. Otherwise BMW is very well equipped and a pleasure to drive.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I love the performance and road handling of the BMW 328i. But I don't like that I don't have a spare tire. The repairs are pricey, but worth it. This car is also very fuel efficient.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Bought a used BMW 335 with 62,000 miles on it for 1/3 the price of a new one. At 91,000 miles only basic maintenance and still does not burn oil despite twin turbos and GDI. I plan to keep it as long as it runs.

Original review: April 25, 2018

With X-drive the BMW 428 2014 is a year-round, all weather car (as long as you don’t need clearance!) Fun to drive, good mileage, superb handling. Would definitely buy again.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love to drive the BMW 640i (plus the look). And people love the look too. It's fun, responsive, fast, gorgeous, awesome driving machine, tight (no rattles or squeaks), super-incredible convertible and eye catching! You feel totally in control when driving this 6 series car. Turning radius is awesome too! Need acceleration? No problem. Ever. Fully loaded this car does almost everything!

Cameras all around can show if you are evenly in a parking space! Write addresses on the ceramic dial for navigation. Or talk to the car to get directions or to make a call on the phone. On cruise control, it will slow itself if a car gets too close! One touch and the convertible top opens or closes by itself. Check the car, unlock it, turn on the lights, or even sound the horn from my phone! Or turn on the ventilation in the car from my phone if it is too hot out so the car will be cooler when I get in! And if I need any kind of help - at all - I can contact my “always there” BMW assist! They will answer questions, send directions, give suggestions, talk to me, read to me, anything! Seems like there is nothing that this car isn’t able to do! Cannot imagine a better-looking or driving vehicle!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I live in an area with really rough roads and the X3 provides a very smooth, comfortable ride and impressive fuel consumption. We’ve had our X3 for over 3 years with no maintenance issues.

Not sure about BMW?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

BMW Company Information

www.bmwusa.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business