3.8/5 (320 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About BMW

BMW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: April 12, 2022

My X3 started acting up a few weeks back by locking up the brakes and couldn't move forward without turning the vehicle off and start again. No error coded came up at all. Eventually the problem got worse and I took it to get checked, they replace the caliper and drain the brake fluid. It worked for a days, but the problem persisted and it got worse. Got it checked again and seems that the DSC Hydro Unit has failed. Still no error codes. To replace the Hydro Unit, the dealer is charging over 4K for the part plus labor on top of that. The Hydro Unit is in back order in Germany for 2 months. So now I am without a car and they are not offering a rental due to expired warranty. Is it even worth fixing? The dealer said most people won't due to cost. This is a common issue they see with BMWs.

So one would think how can an electronic part that is extremely important to the performance of the vehicle be made not to send the proper error code and warn you of the problem? Why is it so expensive and why is it common to brake? This is not only a major BMW design failure but a safety problem with the vehicle that I feel obligated to report to the National Highway Traffic Safety. If you're in the market for a fancy vehicle, you better look the other way and bypass this brand. I know I will and will make sure my family and friends do as well.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Less than a month ago I made a terrible decision of switching from Toyota to BMW. I was surprised to find that my new car is causing serious BACK issues on my body. I called BMW to request a car return or exchange they said no. Now I have a super expensive car that I can’t drive because if I keep driving it will cause serious back pain to develop on my body. I believe all sports models that have the seat low cause lower back issues. Shout me an email if anyone is experiencing similar issues with BMW.

Original review: March 16, 2022

This is my first BMW and my last. While the car is fun to drive when it works, it has had such major issues (and now expenses) that it ruins the experience. Initially, the engine started to misfire. Eventually, when the car was pouring smoke out the back and would barely move, BMW replaced three injectors and a high-pressure fuel pump. After that work, the car ran fine but this was unfortunate because a check engine light came on within two weeks. I didn’t pursue it because the car was running well but should have because the warranty on the catalytic converter expired just then and it failed almost certainly due to the bad injectors (look it up). I’m now looking at a $4k bill for a single bad catalytic converter. I own a Lexus and a Honda and they give me zero trouble. I will simply stick with the Japanese brands from now on.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Do not buy any BMW products at all. It is not a suggestion but it is a warning as you will regret if anything will go wrong. They are only profit oriented company and do not show any sympathy or care about their customers or general public. My brand new X7 was on fire last month without any indication on the dashboard. Me and my entire family (including 2 kids and 2 senior citizens) were in the car when the car started throwing smokes without any indication. I acted on time and stopped the car and we all left the car. While taking out my 4 years daughter from the car seat the car literally went on fire from the engine. It was freezing cold day with a single degree temperature and snowing and we all were standing outside until the fire dept arrived. We we all lucky that we survived without any physical injury but mental trauma was never less after that incident.

I called BMW NA and filed a complaint to start an investigation as I also saw an article sent over by my friend from CNN where BMW is being sued in South Korea for the same engine fire issue. They acted so negligently that on the scheduled inspection day the public relation officer called me and told me that they didn't get an access of a car from insurance company as it was not communicated with them...Seriously? This shows how lightly they took the entire incident. In the end they wanted to offer me 2 month of lease payment and wanted me to buy or lease new BMW and sign a contingency not to disclose this information to NHSTA or any other places including social media. I declined their charity and chose to go out in public to educate them not to go for BMW brand. It is a known issue of BMW that their cars go on fire lot more frequently than any other manufacturers.

DO NOT BUY BMW...THEY ARE VERY PATHETIC IN CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WELL AS PUBLIC SAFETY. SPREAD THESE WORDS OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AS I CAN'T SUE THEM AS NY STATE LAW DOES NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE NO PERSON WAS INJURED PHYSICALLY. IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT HOW BMW IS BEING SUED THEN GOOGLE HOW THEY'RE BEING SUED IN SOUTH KOREA AND IT WILL SHOW UP...

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I have a 2020 BMW M4 Convertible. My vehicle has 8,000 miles on it and the brakes are warped and shuttering. My horrible BMW dealership (HENDRICKS BMW CHARLESTON) won't cover it because there is a white paper out on it. They said since I don't beat the car up, this will happen to the brakes. They said the M4 is meant to be raced and beat up...so not an everyday driver. I pushed thing up to BMW, and after promising to check on helping out and get back to me in 5 days. I gave them 3 weeks and still no call back, so I called them and found out they will not cover either.

If you know how thick the rotors are on an M4, it's hard to believe that they are warped after 8,000 miles. This to me is a definitely defect. Bottom line is BMW is not service oriented anymore. What is really funny is I was just in the process of purchasing an X7 for my wife, and immediately cancelled the order. There are plenty of other car manufacturers out there without dealing with this. I will NEVER buy a BMW again.

As a side note. BMW was going to charge me 2100 to resurface rotors and replace brake pads. Just terrible when a company that used to be great is worse than Chevrolet. I quit buying Lexus for a 10 year period because of horrible customer service, and how they dealt with me at the end of a lease. BMW is a horrible company for folks that like blowing their money for nothing. I have owned 6 BMW's and this truly is the end of my relationship. They truly aren't doing the right thing and I'm certainly not going to have a business relationship with a company that doesn't do the right thing or backup their products and looks for ways to get out of support. WITH BMW...BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I got a brand new 2022 X5 on Dec 22, 2021. After just 1000km drive, the engine light turned on and my car has been in dealership since 5 days ago. Such a frustrating experience with BMW. Perhaps other German competitors are more reliable. I wish I had not gotten a car from BMW.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

My complaint is in regards to how BMW handled a known issue with their Footwell Module 3 (ie FRM component). I recently purchased a used 2010 335i. While out Christmas shopping the car would not start. We had AAA tow it to one of their repair facilities. Their diagnosis determined the starter had died. After installation of the new starter, the repair shop was unable to get the windows back up. Upon further diagnosis they suspected an issue with the FRM module (which controls things like blinkers, wipers, automatic windows, etc). We then had the car towed to a local BMW dealership who confirmed the FRM was bad. Apparently, simply reconnecting the car battery which AAA had disconnected to do the starter replacement caused something in the FRM to get "fried".

My issue with this situation is that both AAA and the BMW dealer were aware of an issue with the FRM module in this model year BMW. BMW itself was also aware of the issue and offered a 10yr 150k mile limited warranty on a replacement. While my car is well below the mileage limit, it was just past the year limit and so BMW would not do anything to help with the cost of a new FRM. With parts and labor the new part was $1200.

With other car brands I've had, when there is a KNOWN issue with a part, the car company issues a recall and fixes the issue at no cost to the owner. This is what BMW should have done with this FRM issue. It was a known issue to the company (caused by something other than normal wear and tear like with my starter) and should have been replaced for me -- if not for free, at least with some kind of discount.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

How many of you guys have had to replace your door handles on your BMW X5 from the year 2005 to 2008? How many of you had to replace your windows and how many times have you had to do it? There's a defect - very very bad defective thing in their door handles to the point where they will break and you cannot get in or out of your vehicle. Also with the windows they will fall all the way into your car like they're not like it's not heavy enough to hold it. Okay it's a shame that all of us have had to go through this and we repair it and we don't ever do anything about it. If I would have known that I wouldn't have purchased it. I can't get in my car from the outside at all without going through a window after breaking my car every time I want to drive it.

It's a BMW X5 2005. That's a shame. Should no luxury vehicle have a handle broke on a car. I've never met or seen a car that had a broken door handle or is that the windows just fall down into it like the wires are not heavy enough. But BMW does not want to admit that it's a defect. I don't know why there's no class action lawsuit but I will warn you do not buy yourself a BMW X5. The handles will break and you will repair them all of them. You will not be able to get into your car okay. Don't even do it. It's not even worth it their alternators. The car goes through alternators like it's going out of style. Every time you turn around you'll be buying a new alternator because the oil sticks into the alternator. These BMWs are highly defective mostly all of them. I don't know nobody who hasn't repaired a door handle. Do not buy one of these.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I had the X7 for 2 years (2019) and 42,000 miles. Going through a school zone my steering AND brakes went COMPLETELY out as kids were crossing. Luckily there was a bend in the road and I was going uphill. I went off the road (not by my doing). A non-event. BMW acknowledged there was a "software" issue. I sold the SUV immediately! DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE...I am a 61 year old man. You have been warned. Oh by the way, BMW did NOT stand behind the vehicle..Email Bernhard.Kuhnt@bmwna.com VP of BMW or Caitlin **, Executive Customer Relations and Services. Tel: **....National Service Director....They are both useless

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Brilliant all the way. The model 530i series is a very promising drive without the fuel as an exception. However a technological engineering marvel. I never see why you need a driver for this vehicle by the owner. Envy and distractions by tech should be re routed to disabling any method of tech misguidance wrt routing and actual conditions. Still baffles how the slightest of puddles can create a undesirable impact on the chassis and drive nerve racking to avoid the same. Wonder what the future holds with mechanical engineering. Distractions as we speak on tech lost in word and thought. The face lift and profile of the vehicle models would make it less aggressive (the grill) and attract the buyers. A smooth tone to the external outlook features is and should be as is the drive and internal calm. Overall a drive of a lifetime. Hope to see no competition in your way of physics and engineering not forgetting the external features of competition by Chinese competitors.

BMW Company Information