2.56/5
Based on 47 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1027 BMW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought 2013 ActiveHybrid 3 from Patrick BMW at 15000 miles. (Certified Car), this car has been in and out of dealership for multiple issues, electrical and body. For some reason they are not able to fix the car. It is quite frustrating that both dealership and BMW North America is not willing to take up the responsibility for manufacturing the faulty vehicle and selling the faulty vehicle. The resolution that the BMW North America offered for a vehicle worth over US $30000 driven only 15000 miles that stayed in dealership (in and out) was only $1000 and that's it. I totally feel cheated and robbed in daylight by Patrick BMW and BMW North America. My suggestion: Do not BUY BMW you feel or "ULTIMATE FOOLING MACHINE".

Original review: June 4, 2018

I leased a 2015 BMW 428I - I have had timely payment without interruptions. I have had very minor maintenance issues. BUT it seems as I have found myself with an ongoing to date unresolved electrical issue -- specific to the radio. I have take this car 5 times back to the dealer to no avail. I am without my car for days and sometime weeks. And it seems as if they cant get it right. As I am now again experiencing malfunctions yet again with the RADIO. I have exhausted all energy with this. My lease is up in two months --- I have opted to contact BMW and suggest/offer to at this point just return the car two months early as it makes no sense to again take the car back to the dealer for the SAME ongoing issue and have them keep the car for days and so thereafter have the same issue reappear.

I was insulted and disappointed that I was offered to take the car back early without being charged for the last two months of the lease BUT only if I agreed to purchase another car... What a major insult to my current situation. I would have expected a prestigious establishment to OWN their LEMON and offer me an amicable solution enough to have me re-gain confidence in not only there product BUT the way that treat/satisfy their customers. After rejecting the horrible offer I was told they will revisit and have me wait until June 7th -- for my final answer. Very disappointing to say the least. My situation has been established by records of the amount of times this car has been worked on for the SAME issue. But yet they want me to wait an additional week. SHAME ON BMW USA.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My 2012 BMW X5 was recalled and I took it to BMW of North Scottsdale to have the work done. They had to remove the oil filter or something and apparently did not bleed it properly. I went on a trip and limped into Denver where I took it to Schomp BMW. They had to replace the oil pump ---it must have burned out due to air in the line. NOW apparently due to the oil pump going out the ENGINE has major problems and the cheapest way to fix it is replace the engine. There is a rocker arm problem with some of this year's but mine is not in the VIN # for that problem so is likely a rod.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Driving on major road and car suddenly dies with warning that drive train malfunctioned. Car would not restart blocked a lane of traffic, feared being hit from behind since on major roadway. Car had to be towed cannot put in neutral to pull off roadway. Thank goodness police office was able to park behind and flashlights until tow truck arrived. Disappointed in 2014 BMW 328i.

Original review: May 4, 2018

For a luxury car, this is a piece of crap. We bought a 528i, and 2 years later the thing is nothing but problems. The heater does not blow hot air unless you max the thermostat out. The fan won’t blow air unless you max the fan speed out. The vents fall apart and are not covered under warranty or extended warranty. Took it to the dealer and they said it was all normal and accused us of user error breaking the vents. No one sits in the back seat, but yet the vent broke. Total BS. Will never buy another one of these crappy cars.

I have a BMW X5 as well, also crappy piece of junk. They can’t even honor their warranty or roadside service commitments. Total waste of money. Hendrick BMW in Pleasanton California is the dealership that we used and they are substandard. Never been so ignored by any car dealership. Took all day to get an update on a car they had for 3 + days, only to get all the BS answers about why they could not do any of the repairs. Just BS about normal function and blamed us for their ** falling apart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: May 2, 2018

The 2006 BMW Z4 has a wonderful engine, smooth and powerful. Repairs are expensive so take care of it. It is nice to drive. Older models are very well equipped but not too technical. Good value for an older roadster.

Original review: May 1, 2018

BMW X1 is a wonderful auto. But lease is expensive and living in NYC means that use is limited. This is because of traffic congestion, crazy bike riders and poor driving habits of many motorists. Insurance cost is also too high as is parking. So not economically feasible for such a high priced vehicle. But I love it. Next time may buy Subaru or use on demand car rental services by BMW/Mercedes if they develop here in NYC.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Great power and very good fuel consumption. Very hard ride for an SUV due to the run-flat tyres. There is ample space for a spare so would be better with conventional tyres. Otherwise BMW is very well equipped and a pleasure to drive.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I love the performance and road handling of the BMW 328i. But I don't like that I don't have a spare tire. The repairs are pricey, but worth it. This car is also very fuel efficient.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Bought a used BMW 335 with 62,000 miles on it for 1/3 the price of a new one. At 91,000 miles only basic maintenance and still does not burn oil despite twin turbos and GDI. I plan to keep it as long as it runs.

Original review: April 25, 2018

With X-drive the BMW 428 2014 is a year-round, all weather car (as long as you don’t need clearance!) Fun to drive, good mileage, superb handling. Would definitely buy again.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love to drive the BMW 640i (plus the look). And people love the look too. It's fun, responsive, fast, gorgeous, awesome driving machine, tight (no rattles or squeaks), super-incredible convertible and eye catching! You feel totally in control when driving this 6 series car. Turning radius is awesome too! Need acceleration? No problem. Ever. Fully loaded this car does almost everything!

Cameras all around can show if you are evenly in a parking space! Write addresses on the ceramic dial for navigation. Or talk to the car to get directions or to make a call on the phone. On cruise control, it will slow itself if a car gets too close! One touch and the convertible top opens or closes by itself. Check the car, unlock it, turn on the lights, or even sound the horn from my phone! Or turn on the ventilation in the car from my phone if it is too hot out so the car will be cooler when I get in! And if I need any kind of help - at all - I can contact my “always there” BMW assist! They will answer questions, send directions, give suggestions, talk to me, read to me, anything! Seems like there is nothing that this car isn’t able to do! Cannot imagine a better-looking or driving vehicle!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I live in an area with really rough roads and the X3 provides a very smooth, comfortable ride and impressive fuel consumption. We’ve had our X3 for over 3 years with no maintenance issues.

Original review: April 22, 2018

BMW x3 xDRIVE28i - For a SUV of this price, some of the finishing touches are mediocre and I find that after 50 years of driving a BMW product, their top quality and so called attention brought to customers, are declining. It is still "the driving machine" but it's not anymore the cream of the cream!

Original review: April 21, 2018

Bought new BMW X5 3.0l 2002 in October 2001. Total out-of-pocket repair costs about $21,000. Best version of the X5 BMW made and dream to drive. Only shortcoming is modern safety systems - some can be retrofitted if desired.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Great car. Been leasing for 30 years BMWs. My 10th BMW. Had many models. Love the 328xi the best. All maintenance included in lease price too. Service top notch.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I'm in the military, and when I went to look at cars they told me leasing was the way to go. When I explained that I move a lot and that the chances of me still being in the area when the lease was over were slim they said that wasn't an issue. They said they worked with military people all the time and knew how everything went. Well 3 years goes by and I have to turn in my car. I was told if I turned it in with miles to use I'd be reimbursed. I was 8,000 miles under didn't get a penny. Then I am told I have to pay a 300 dollar fee for not getting another BMW. So I was not happy to say the least... then a year later I get a bill for property tax in a state I'm not a resident in and never even registered the car in.

Apparently they like to leave out that because you lease it means the title belongs to them not you and the states don't allow the exceptions because the title is owned by BMW. Horrible experience trying to deal with this and in the end had to pay a tax I never should have had to pay. Stay away from BMW leasing if you are a Soldier.

Original review: April 17, 2018

BMW has got the american car makers in the dust. The quality of materials used and the construction of the vehicle is far superior. If you look at the American workmanship is it so much inferior to the Germans. We need to upgrade our workforce in order to be competitive with other markets i.e. Germany, Japan.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I got scammed by BMW. I entered into a 2-year lease in 2016. Few months before the lease ends, I purchased additional miles. I was told that any unused miles will be refunded. I returned my car yesterday and guess what, they refused to refund my unused miles. However, they found my left rear tire was a little bit more used than the other ones and they charged me $300. Plus the extra $350 fee to close the lease...

Not only that but last year, I was in Europe for a month or so and totally forgot to pay my monthly charge, was 30 days late and paid as soon as I came back to the US and opened my mail. That was the only late payment I had during my entire lease. Well guess what, BMW reported it right away and my credit score got impacted so bad it prevented me to purchase a house. I wrote a letter to try to solve this issue, they ignored it. BUT the sales team kept harassing me to try to sell me a new lease... Yeah, you guys can keep trying. I don't want to deal with BMW EVER again!

Original review: March 12, 2018

My car was at Spring Valley BMW for a week being serviced. I went to pick up my car, paid, got in and drove home for my brother to scream at me “KIMBERLY what the ** happen to your car!” I’m like, "What!" He said, “You don’t ** see that!" I looked and my mouth dropped right away. I went back to BMW. My back bumper was smashed and my light was broken. I was gone not even 10 minutes. The manager at BMW was very rude and nasty telling me this did not happen there. And I was responsible to cover the damage. Someone at BMW while in their possession crashed my car. Backed it in and knew I would get in and drive off. I took my car in for internal problems nothing having to do with the body. I did know I had to do a 360.

My main concern was that my car was running properly. Not that my car would be smashed. How does that happen? Then for the manager to be so rude and mean to me blaming me like I did that damage. As he walks in he says to me “looks like someone is going to need a new bumper!" That is no way to treat nor talk to a customer who just spent money and then having her car damaged from someone at BMW. Unacceptable. No one should have to go through this. Horrible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I got scammed by BMW. I entered into a 3-year lease in 2015. In 2016, I purchased additional miles. I was told that any unused miles will be refunded. The Addendum that I signed clearly stated that I will receive back any unused miles at the rate of $.16 per mile. The 3-year lease was over last month and I returned my car with no issues except they refused to refund my unused miles. I was told that I can only receive credit for the unused miles and use it to apply to any outstanding balance. Well, I prepaid my lease up front and there is NO outstanding balance.

Your company is so tricky. Tried to get me purchased additional miles, but never ever, not on the phone nor on the Addendum, that clearly stated that any unused miles will NOT be refundable. I hate business like BMW that is so tricky in their own words and agreements and don't tell their customers everything. I will post this scam on Facebook and let everyone know not to buy or lease BMW cars.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I purchased a 2009 BMW and was having issues with starting the car a couple years ago. I would sit there and try so hard to start but wasn't able to. Took the car to several auto repair places including BMW but no one could figure out why the car wouldn't start. I even had one BMW auto place put a new starter in. Eventually I ended up leasing a new car costing me thousands of dollars. After I leased the new car I received a recall notice in the mail that there was an issue with the fuel pump. I think BMW needs to reimburse me the cost of the leased car.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I've spent so much money getting this car (2010 BMW 328I) repaired, I should have bought a Kia or something cheaper. 3 belt replacements, radiator replacement, cracked rim, I could go on but I won't. This used to be a reputable brand. Next car will be a Ford or Chevy.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

This car just fell apart. It's a 2008 BMW 750Li. The transmission went bad, the electronics went out and the worst part was the door would just open and not close when moving. I complained and they said they would recall but I have not heard anything about fixing the cars. A rep sends me an email for almost a year now many more saying that BMW in Germany is working on it. I had to get rid of the car because it was unsafe. I don't want the car fixed. I want compensation for my anxiety. Who protects consumers... who fights for the rights of the consumer. These cars should never have been allowed on the road. They have been numerous complaints about the safety and mechanical design quality of this car from a certain time frame. The complaints seem to disappear from the web after a period of time.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I purchased a used BMW that was purchased as a certified pre-own by the previous owner. The warranty extended through 2019 up to 100k miles. I thought this would be a transferable warranty seeing that it was purchased through BMW. I called in and was transferred to a third party company who had no record of the warranty. I called BMW back to which another person explained that the warranty can no longer be transferred because I did not buy the car directly from the previous owner.

There was a third party involved. I offered to pay a transfer fee, have the car reinspected or whatever yet BMW would not transfer the warranty. I was surprised that BMW wouldn’t want to stand by a car that they certified as good based on a transfer of ownership that involved a third party. That seems like bad business to me and way to force a new owner to repurchase the same warranty again. I would suggest others be aware of this clause when purchasing a used BMW.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

BMW offered me exceptionally POOR Support for their 1984-91 BMW 524td engine. BMW’s customer support was as though they had never built the engine or even heard of it. Finding parts became a worldwide internet search nightmare, as USA dealers were ZERO assistance. BMW routinely changes part numbers, but apparently leaves no follow-up reference to find the part one seeks. I ended up contacting BMW's CHAIRMAN Harald Kruger with a message that lifted him off his chair. The immediate result from Kruger's office was that BMW had found the "unobtainable" and "extinct" parts I requested... But at DOUBLE their advertised price. They changed their part number (for the 5th time in one instance), then doubled the price. Was I shafted?? I'll never waste another nickel with BMW and recommend the same to you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Very confusing when they change network, they don't want to fix it. All BMW dealership tell you different stories. Customer relation is a joke, rude and obnoxious. This is my fourth Bimmer and customer service level is going down. I think BMW been losing money due to airbag recall, now network has change and don't want to correct this issue, very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I leased a 2015 BMW 328 for my son. First time the giubo disc broke, the manufacturer refused to fix it under warranty and made me pay for it. I took the case to Arbitration and I won the case and I was reimbursed for the repair. The giubo disc broke down two more times and the manufacturer replaced it under warranty. However when it broke for the fourth time, they refused to pay and I am retaining an attorney to file a claim against the manufacturer.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My car stopped on me going out of town on the weekend and needed a tow. I contacted BMW roadside from the number in my trunk and set up service to be towed to BMW of Manhattan and I prepaid 139.00 from my debit for the service. I called the service center at BMW of Manhattan to assure security and lockup information and was told that they could not accommodate that and they closed at 5pm.

So I knew the car wouldn't arrive on time because it was a little after four when I called back roadside and made reservations for the car to be stored at the towing company until Monday morning but I had to upgrade the amount I paid from 139.00 to 169.00 because of storage time. I was told the first payment couldn't be reimbursed over the phone but that I'd receive it in three to five business days. I continued out of town on the 30th through Greyhound and returned on the fifth. I kept running into the resistance of phone tag when I returned but finally got through with email correspondence.

When I visited the BMW of Manhattan location I spoke about the issues and options concerning the car. The 189.00 payment for diagnostic and the issues that needed to be addressed. I was told I needed the alternator replaced and battery fixed then another diagnostic needed to be done to see what caused the recharger to stop charging and the battery to die.

I explained that I had some one oil the car and wanted to know if that could be the cause because he used oil that was not suggested by my previous mechanic; it was Mobile synthetic and I wanted to make sure it hadn't shocked my system causing the car to fail (BMW 750i 2006). I also didn't want to pay for a diagnosis and fix it only to pay for another diagnosis and realize my system was shot. I feel he should have been able to give me that information the first time opposed to being charged so many times. The service area associate assured me it was not the oil but he needed to fix the car first then re-diagnose.

So, I asked about the financial assistance program that I was told they didn't have. I was also told if the car was fixed and not picked up I'd be charged 85 dollars a day for storage. So I asked the service adviser Denise ** did she have the information for the towing company. I wanted the car towed back to she said "No". I then stated I have it in my papers I will call and have it picked up and she replied "I do have it". She gestured to a folder in front of her and she said "I'll call and make the arrangement and the car will be picked up Monday" (This was a Saturday again and they closed at 5).

Its been two weeks now since the car broke down and I have not received my reimbursement. I called BMW roadside. They cannot give any information or a telephone number to speak with someone who can explain why I don't have my 139.00 back. The woman on the phone sounded unusually uncomfortable and told me I had to send a letter to the claims department. That's all the information she could give me; that there was no number I could call. I expressed my concerns about no contact by phone and not receiving a follow up (which she said I should have gotten). I've googled and cannot find a number for BMW claims or reimbursement and they insist they can't help me on the phone.

I called BMW of Manhattan and was greeted nasty. I wanted to know where had the car been delivered to and the woman on the phone said "It was delivered to the shop where I was having it fixed" (she said it wasn't there). I told her I didn't make arrangements and where's my car. She told me to hold on and transferred me to Denise ** who said "she never made the arrangements and never agreed to it". We went back and forth on the phone till I finally asked where's the car and she said "It's still in the service area". Today is 10/13/17 and the car has been there since 10/02/17.

I think BMW of Manhattan is a in every area from the financial assistance to having the car fixed and also on delivery. The attitude of the managing staff I've run into is very unethical. I feel it's bad business to take my money and now I have to chase it and get spoken to rudely. There system is not put together professionally; unless they're just common thieves. I would like my money returned and car delivered and as I write this long (hour-some) letter the email had still not generated on my phone for an update (as she called it). BMW gets no stars from me. I wish I never bought the car. (I wanted an Impala.)

Oh, and when I returned to my car to retrieve stuff from my trunk. They had left food in the car that was rotting for the time it was there. The windows were rolled down and big flies were in my car. I had little groceries in the car and though it might not be their job, if you are working on it and it's in your garage common courtesy and your environment should have made you throw away sour milk, juice and hamburger meat. (I'm just saying.) But I'm not on fb so I won't. ;) I didn't know I'd need receipts at the end for this but I can furnish upon request.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had service done at Vista BMW in Coconut Creek, FL after receiving via email service coupons and discounts. After the service was done and the emailed coupons were presented the Service Manager denied and did not apply the coupons. 20% discount was offered on any service done at the dealer. After the service was done, the manager refused to apply the coupon and pointed out the fine print. This coupon is very deceiving as it was very clear that they wanted to get customers pulled into the dealership for service thru this offer, only to turn it down when it was time to pick up the vehicle.

BMW Company Information