3.5/5 (2875 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About BMW

BMW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I used to think BMWs were nice cars. After having maybe 8 or 9 I discovered bmw is the worst car to get. Every part you have to install they have to do it and program it to the car.. Then play games about every little thing. Pls don't waste money on this junk cars no more. Buy a Kia or Honda or Toyota but please save yourself a headache.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I purchased a BMW X1 Hybrid xDrive25e Sport 1.5i PHEV (reg: **) on 14 May 2022 and was told that BMW assistance would help with issues on the road. On Friday evening, 26 August, I had a flat tire and called BMW assistance. They picked my vehicle up and told me that it would be dropped off at a local dealer. From thereon began a series of nightmares with no communication from BMW assistance, until I called them on Saturday morning to check the status of the car and courtesy car. After a series of calls, I found that the car had been handed over to BMW Thames Ditton and I would need to call Enterprise to get a courtesy car. After that there was a series of calls between BMW assistance and BMW Thames Ditton having to plead to get the courtesy car and check for the status on my car.

Finally, after a lot of imploring, I was provided with assistance in getting a courtesy vehicle but had no status on the vehicle still. With bank holiday, Tuesday was spent chasing BMW Thames Ditton continuously to get status on the vehicle. BMW assistance refused to help as they said that this was now ownership with the dealer. Finally, at 6PM someone at the dealership found that BMW assistance had sent the car to the wrong place and should have updated the system to get this corrected. They agreed to get the tire changed but were unwilling to assist any further.

One of the reasons for buying a BMW was that being a reputable brand, one thing I would be assured of was good customer service. However, with this entire experience and the appalling service that I was provided, I feel totally let down and have lost complete faith in this brand. I would have expected this to be a simple process of the car being collected, taken to the correct dealership for repair and being provided with a courtesy car. Given my recent experience, I have decided that I will not continue with BMW after the end of this contract. If a company doesn't value its customers, then as a customer, I do not see not see any point continuing with the brand.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

BMW car on fire. Beware! After driving 20 km near Bilbao, our five year old BMW X1 started pouring smoke, with no prior notice. Then fire broke out. We were lucky enough to escape, my wife, her 87 year old mother, and our dog. We informed BMW-Munich (customer dep) the car was just burnt steel, and asked for some help. The car had all its servicing done at BMW official points in Spain. It was an automatic, 150 HP diesel engine, four wheel drive. BMW sent an engineer to analyse the remains. It was a faulty EGR? Particle filter? Turbo? Four months later BMW sent a polite letter, saying they had found no origin for the fire. Not a cent to buy a new car. You expect a better treatment from a premium firm like BMW, but it has been a very disappointing experience.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I recently bought a 2022 BMW X5. It currently has 9000 miles and I have owned it less than a year. My car started showing a "Passenger Restraint Problem" notification and indicated I should take it to the dealer. The Dealership has told me that water damage leaked through the console and damaged the sensor that will activate the airbags, and that this would not be covered under warranty and it resulted from water damage and the repair cost is $2,500. I have taken impeccable care of this car. Other than a minor spill that would have been wiped up immediately, there has been no water damage to the vehicle. I live in Colorado, an incredibly dry climate.

There is clearly a design defect with this vehicle if water can get to an airbag sensor ... in less than a year of this car being on the road. So beware, I have raised this with BMW North America and so far they are NOT taking responsibility. If I repair this sensor, how would I know it won't happen again next month? OR what if the next sensor is as shoddily made as this one .. and goes bad and I don't get the sensor notice, and the airbags stop working. Overall, to buy a new car and have something like this happen outside of warranty is beyond my imagination. Do yourself a favor and spend your $90,000 on an audi or similar company that stands by the safety of the cars they sell!

Original review: June 7, 2022

BMW, unfortunately after supporting the brand since 1979, 10 cars, has turned in to a most unethical manufacturer. I have an X5 that at <14,000 miles showed what has been identified by Pensky BMW certified collision shop as solvent popping, 100% created by the manufacturer by not letting the solvents of the under laying paints properly cure before sealing with the clear coat. There is absolutely nothing anyone could do to create these defects under the clear coat, which is smooth, shiny and 100% intact. There are what appear as appx 100 tiny sand marks in the paint, under the clear. The issue was explained to me as being created at the paint application process, in some cases will not show up for a few years after new car inspection. The hood and top need to be sanded down and painted properly.

BMW refuses to add any customer assistance, $4666 repair. Now I understand issues happen out of our control, it’s the quality of the company you do business with as to how these issues are handled, BMW is showing their colors. To have a company the status of BMW dish out such decisions is unethical and in my opinion foolish business practices. The BMW Arizona zone manager refused assistance without any contact or inspection, nice job! Now I am forced to repair on my own.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My X3 started acting up a few weeks back by locking up the brakes and couldn't move forward without turning the vehicle off and start again. No error coded came up at all. Eventually the problem got worse and I took it to get checked, they replace the caliper and drain the brake fluid. It worked for a days, but the problem persisted and it got worse. Got it checked again and seems that the DSC Hydro Unit has failed. Still no error codes. To replace the Hydro Unit, the dealer is charging over 4K for the part plus labor on top of that. The Hydro Unit is in back order in Germany for 2 months. So now I am without a car and they are not offering a rental due to expired warranty. Is it even worth fixing? The dealer said most people won't due to cost. This is a common issue they see with BMWs.

So one would think how can an electronic part that is extremely important to the performance of the vehicle be made not to send the proper error code and warn you of the problem? Why is it so expensive and why is it common to brake? This is not only a major BMW design failure but a safety problem with the vehicle that I feel obligated to report to the National Highway Traffic Safety. If you're in the market for a fancy vehicle, you better look the other way and bypass this brand. I know I will and will make sure my family and friends do as well.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Less than a month ago I made a terrible decision of switching from Toyota to BMW. I was surprised to find that my new car is causing serious BACK issues on my body. I called BMW to request a car return or exchange they said no. Now I have a super expensive car that I can’t drive because if I keep driving it will cause serious back pain to develop on my body. I believe all sports models that have the seat low cause lower back issues. Shout me an email if anyone is experiencing similar issues with BMW.

Original review: March 16, 2022

This is my first BMW and my last. While the car is fun to drive when it works, it has had such major issues (and now expenses) that it ruins the experience. Initially, the engine started to misfire. Eventually, when the car was pouring smoke out the back and would barely move, BMW replaced three injectors and a high-pressure fuel pump. After that work, the car ran fine but this was unfortunate because a check engine light came on within two weeks. I didn’t pursue it because the car was running well but should have because the warranty on the catalytic converter expired just then and it failed almost certainly due to the bad injectors (look it up). I’m now looking at a $4k bill for a single bad catalytic converter. I own a Lexus and a Honda and they give me zero trouble. I will simply stick with the Japanese brands from now on.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Do not buy any BMW products at all. It is not a suggestion but it is a warning as you will regret if anything will go wrong. They are only profit oriented company and do not show any sympathy or care about their customers or general public. My brand new X7 was on fire last month without any indication on the dashboard. Me and my entire family (including 2 kids and 2 senior citizens) were in the car when the car started throwing smokes without any indication. I acted on time and stopped the car and we all left the car. While taking out my 4 years daughter from the car seat the car literally went on fire from the engine. It was freezing cold day with a single degree temperature and snowing and we all were standing outside until the fire dept arrived. We we all lucky that we survived without any physical injury but mental trauma was never less after that incident.

I called BMW NA and filed a complaint to start an investigation as I also saw an article sent over by my friend from CNN where BMW is being sued in South Korea for the same engine fire issue. They acted so negligently that on the scheduled inspection day the public relation officer called me and told me that they didn't get an access of a car from insurance company as it was not communicated with them...Seriously? This shows how lightly they took the entire incident. In the end they wanted to offer me 2 month of lease payment and wanted me to buy or lease new BMW and sign a contingency not to disclose this information to NHSTA or any other places including social media. I declined their charity and chose to go out in public to educate them not to go for BMW brand. It is a known issue of BMW that their cars go on fire lot more frequently than any other manufacturers.

DO NOT BUY BMW...THEY ARE VERY PATHETIC IN CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WELL AS PUBLIC SAFETY. SPREAD THESE WORDS OUT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AS I CAN'T SUE THEM AS NY STATE LAW DOES NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE NO PERSON WAS INJURED PHYSICALLY. IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT HOW BMW IS BEING SUED THEN GOOGLE HOW THEY'RE BEING SUED IN SOUTH KOREA AND IT WILL SHOW UP...

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I have a 2020 BMW M4 Convertible. My vehicle has 8,000 miles on it and the brakes are warped and shuttering. My horrible BMW dealership (HENDRICKS BMW CHARLESTON) won't cover it because there is a white paper out on it. They said since I don't beat the car up, this will happen to the brakes. They said the M4 is meant to be raced and beat up...so not an everyday driver. I pushed thing up to BMW, and after promising to check on helping out and get back to me in 5 days. I gave them 3 weeks and still no call back, so I called them and found out they will not cover either.

If you know how thick the rotors are on an M4, it's hard to believe that they are warped after 8,000 miles. This to me is a definitely defect. Bottom line is BMW is not service oriented anymore. What is really funny is I was just in the process of purchasing an X7 for my wife, and immediately cancelled the order. There are plenty of other car manufacturers out there without dealing with this. I will NEVER buy a BMW again.

As a side note. BMW was going to charge me 2100 to resurface rotors and replace brake pads. Just terrible when a company that used to be great is worse than Chevrolet. I quit buying Lexus for a 10 year period because of horrible customer service, and how they dealt with me at the end of a lease. BMW is a horrible company for folks that like blowing their money for nothing. I have owned 6 BMW's and this truly is the end of my relationship. They truly aren't doing the right thing and I'm certainly not going to have a business relationship with a company that doesn't do the right thing or backup their products and looks for ways to get out of support. WITH BMW...BEWARE.

BMW Company Information