Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.87/5

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

1069 BMW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I lease a $120,000 750xi and have had nothing but problems with this car. The car has been in the shop over 10 times including the recent 25 day trip where they replaced the engine!!! On a brand new 2016 lease never owned before. BMW refuses to make my payment for me. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. They lost my car once, one time gave me the car back with a flat tire. The list goes in. THE WORST COMPANY EVER.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I bought an X5 two years ago for 35k. The NOx sensors apparently are a huge issue. My car has been at a BMW dealer for 3 weeks! Still not fixed! $2000 later I don’t have my car! Called corporate, they don’t give a ** whether my car runs or not. Will not help me. These cars are lemons. Do NOT buy BMW!

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I am the first owner of A 2008 528i. Just installed my 3rd transmission into my beemer, it's hilarious such German build? First one out at 45000 miles about over 5 years ago, then the warranty just outdated and go through back and forward negotiated with the dealer. Finally they paid for the transmission and I paid $1800 for the Labor charge... And 2 weeks ago it's out again and this time I had 139200 miles on it, which mean about 5 years again, so just have the rebuild one puts on for a few days, and runs good so far, other than transmission problems, everything are fine. I love this car, just don't understand why can't they good one like Japanese... Haha!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I took my BMW 328i with 48,000 miles in to the BMW Birmingham service department on a Friday afternoon for a new battery. I was told by the service advisor that it needed coils, a new belt, belt tensioner, and some type of “boot” due to an oil leak. They quoted my over $2,000 for the repair. I told them I could not afford that much unexpected repair work and agreed to the battery and coils, which they said were a minimum to get the vehicle running properly at a cost of about $1,250.

I also told them that my 16-year-old daughter drives the vehicle to school (around 5-10 miles a day) and that I was having it repaired because she wanted to drive it to a school dance the following day. 10 days later and less than 100 miles following the $1,250 repair, the vehicle was towed to the private garage of a retired BMW technician due to a coolant leak. After he inspected the vehicle, he told me that there was nothing wrong other than the radiator hose clamp had been removed and slid down the hose at the heater core. This could be seen easily by a BMW technician. He repaired the vehicle by reconnecting the hose/hose clamp and replacing the coolant.

I called Birmingham BMW 6 times without a return call over a 10 day period and went by the dealership in-person once to speak with them about my issue and no one would talk with me. When I asked to speak with a manager and for a business card for the manager I was told that everyone was in a meeting and that they did not give out business cards. I persisted for a contact in writing for management and the wrote a name and number on a post-it note.

I shared this with BMW of North America and asked for help contacting the dealership. I received a call from a service advisor the following day, who proceeded to make excuses when I shared my concerns then he transferred me to a service manager who acted in disbelief when I told him what happened to me. I shared my concern that the service department was pushy about the need for service with urgency to do it quickly before something broke and rendered the car undriveable.

I question this culture within the dealership and asked the service manager how a technician could miss something as obvious as a clamp that had been disconnected and slid down the hose? I was told that the technician would not see an issue with the cooling system since he was working on the battery/coil pack/electrical system. To which I replied, then how did they find issues related to an oil leak and the belt and belt tensioner? And they had no response other than they would check into it. I have had no further response and feel that I cannot trust BMW Birmingham, Alabama to service my vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I am sending this complaint because I would like to leave a precedent in relation to BMW's poor service (customer service, car technical service department, and the financial department). When I got my car lease BMW in 2016, I got the tire and wheel protection they offered me. But it was the worst decision I took. This protection never cover me beside is the worst protection according with the policy. I got the tires and Wheels insurance which covered any damage that might arise. A few weeks ago I saw the need to carry my car because the screen showed that the tires on the back of the car were with air deficit, in addition to a physical malformation that we noticed one of the wheels (bowel).

After reviewing it in the service, they came to the conclusion that the two rear tires had to be changed, but that the insurance only covered one, and the other would not be covered because it did not have a hole or a nail. Irresponsible situation on the part of them, taking into account that if I had continued with that car because of that bad physical formation of the tire I could have exposed myself to having an accident that could possibly have generated death or physical damage.

I explained the situation and obtained the advice of both mechanics, lawyers, and BMW employees, who concluded that they did not know why I had not covered the insurance. Finally pay to be able to withdraw my car. Now I receive a bill where I have to pay the dealer's fee in addition to a remaining payment. I think BMW irresponsible, because in my case I was forced to deliver the car before the time because I did not feel safe driving a car in which I had no guarantees. Because of this, I am in the process of sending a complaint to the BBB or consult it having illegal process initiated. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Disappointing policy concerning factory tires that are sold with a new vehicle. Don't get caught in this SCAM, there is no warranty, so same day you purchase your new vehicle, if tires start losing air and you find there is a puncture. Too bad, you get to purchase a new tire out of pocket. You then purchase a new tire, same brand and model and the dealer warrants the new tire for 1 year? Huh. No offer from dealership or from the national headquarters of any discount or compensation for your trouble and issue. What type of customer service is this?? This is my first BMW so starting off with a very sour taste of things to come from this experience.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

So my cars power went out, I did some research about the recall it had with the battery cable. I got the car sent in for that battery cable recall, they ended up taking longer than expected to fix it. Okay so I was patient, very nice to the dealership. They told me the car is fixed, I went and got the car. Whilst getting it, I was told that my regular for my back window is broken... Weird, my regulator wasn't broken before. So the service advisor told me he was going to get his manager to fix it then he'll get the car out to me asap. So I thought they fixed it, didn't think anything of it. I took the car, wanted to listen to some music... Turns out my aux import AND USB port are both not working. So I'm okay with it, called them about it and the service advisor, Cody, never answered my call. So I went on with life.

Take in mind, two of my friends who got this recall done, BOTH of their starters went out at the SAME time. So I told this guy, Cody, that if my starter goes out... I'll be back, he goes "that's interesting, but definitely let me know if the starter goes out." So I have the car for one day... I pull up to a gas station, turn the car off to get some gas. Try and turn it back on. Wow turns out my starter went out.

Called BMW to get it looked at, they tell me my starter is out and that it's going to be a whopping $1,400 to fix my starter and regulator for my window. This is ridiculous, so the manager called me and basically said that I'm WRONG over and over and he had to be right. I asked him if it were a possibility that the starter got too much power to it? From this new cable. NOPE I'm wrong, there's no chance at all. Just because the starter is somewhere else doesn't MEAN that this recall defected my starter. Weird cause my car was in perfect condition before that recall, and before the power went out. Will never be doing business with this corrupt company ever again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Two weeks ago we had great pleasure in taking BMW Arden to the small claims court. My daughter's 18 month old BMW had a faulty wishbone arm. It should have been repaired under warranty but she had to pay the insurance excess of £395. We had a small win as BMW had to pay it back. I know it wasnt much but at the end of the day it was the principle.

Here is how it began: BMW Series 1. On 17 September 2017 my daughter Sam stopped at traffic lights to turn right into the Esso garage. When the lights changed, she moved slowly away, at this point the wishbone arm snapped causing her to catch the car in front. A passing mechanic who has his own garage examined the car and said it had issues. The only marks on her car was a small dent and scratch as the photos show. We sent photos to an online mechanic, he said that slight knock would not have caused the wishbone arm to snap.

Her insurance company transported the car to their garage in Ashford. A couple of days later BMW asked Sam if they could take it to BMW Arden to undergo repairs as it was still under warranty. When she collected her car a month later, she was shocked when she had to pay her insurance excess of £395.00, she’d been told it was being repaired under warranty.

It is apparent that at no time Ageas the insurance company inspected the vehicle. A letter dated 6th March 2018 states “I have reviewed our Audatex report from Arden Maidstone repairers who have not advised in their comments on the engineers report that the drive shaft snapped due to wear and tear or due to being faulty. Had they seen the car then they would have known it was the wishbone arm and not the driveshaft. They also wouldn’t have had to ask BMW what caused it to snap!

We wrote and complained to BMW Arden, BMW Customer Services and the Ombudsman. They all said the insurance company carried out the repair so you have to pay. Her authorized repair company in Ashford did not do the repair, BMW Arden did and then invoiced the insurance company for £4550,09. Our mechanic said the cost should have been no more than £500. A solicitor advised me the onus of responsibility lay with Arden BMW, she said the insurance company was just doing their job.

On July 6th, 2018 I wrote a final letter to Gary ** the assistant service manager at BMW Arden, His last email said, “The possible cause of the broken wishbone arm was wear and tear.” At the time my daughter’s car was 18 months old with under 7000 on the clock, so how could it have been wear and tear? We believe it had a faulty wishbone arm from new or it was in an accident when it was delivered to Arden Maidstone.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I bought my 2014 X1 with 3800km on it. So far 1) the front end had to be to be replaced, 2) airbag recall, 3) Idle stop stopped working, 4) smell of fuel lingers in the interior, 5) most of the vents are brittle and break, 6) hazard lights switch is broken, replaced and broke again three days later. 7) Rear hatch door unlatches when gremlins want in or out, 8) rear door latch passenger side won’t latch. A door I rarely used.

9) Valve cover and gasket replaced with 89000km (55000 miles), 10) Hole in the valve cover, 11) rust coming through under the rear hatch door. Told by Georgian BMW, Service Manager, who never worked in a body shop I was told, nor his manager, This I was told was due to a alteration. Car has never been in an accident, no record of an accident is apparent. BMW Canada told me to get the dealership to take pictures of the rusted area, Georgian BMW refused. (I won’t step foot in that door ever again and make it a point to tell anyone of the troubles I have with both car and dealership.)

12) Doors locked with car running, 13) side plastic plate at bottom of door pops off. Had to use $4.00 tube of silicon on a “fine piece of German Engineering”. 14) Front cowl is plastic and broke off while hitting a pothole in the cold... Did I say...plastic front cowl like in the same plastic in the toy cars my Grandchildren play within the bathtub...but obviously more resilient. 15) Intermittent wipers are stuck on one speed. Told by Georgian BMW this was due to an aftermarket windshield. Odd in the corner of the windshield it reads BMW and I had never replaced it from when I bought the car. Funny that whenever I go into a BMW Shop to repair my car, continuously try to sell me a new and improved model of crap.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Read a few previous posts on BMW lease buyout. I had a buyout price of 33k. Was offered 27k buyout at the end of the lease. The price was still too high compared to Market so I turned the car in, terminated the lease and paid $375 disposition fee. Now the same car is listed at 23k CPO. I approached the dealer to buy it but they refused. According to the dealer BMW and financials services are not allowing them to sell the car at the listed price 23k to me. I would have to pay 27k. The dealer is completely transparent about bmw’s poor practices. According to the dealer BMW and FS don’t want to expose this practice as all previous customers will demand a price adjustment. BMW FS is extremely aggrogrant and says it’s an issue BMW NA and dealership need to address. Dealership is willing to sell if I register at a different address. BMW NA will not respond. The brand is untrustworthy. Period.

BMW Company Information