4.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

U-Haul Storage

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 4, 2017

132 U-Haul Storage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My recent U-Haul experience was a nightmare. First of all, I rented a 15' truck for my move 6 weeks prior to my move and when I called to confirm was told that the truck I ordered wasn't going to be available at the time I requested (8 am) but at 11 am and this was not guarantee but only an estimate, or at the location I requested but rather at a location 40 minutes away from the original location. I was on the phone with U-HAUL for 3 hours to resolve this issue. 3 hours that I really didn't have the day before my move. I was eventually able to resolve this issue and the truck I rented was not available at the location I requested, at a time close to the time I requested (9 am).

Now, enter the storage unit rental experience. I originally rented a drive-in storage unit in Chicopee., six weeks prior to my move. As I was living on the cape, I arranged this over the phone and with the help of a staff member who assisted me in choosing a drive up unit that he told me should accommodate my two bedroom apartment. (Confirmation # **) When I arrived it was clear that there was no way my belongings would ever fit in this unit. They offered to rent me (at my expense) two small units but the contents of my two bedroom house would never have fit in this. These units are way too small. My movers stated clearly that my furniture would not fit in these units.

They called the Holyoke facility and I rented a very large drive up unit there. Confirmation # **. When I arrived, I waited for half an hour to be served while my movers waited as well. I was then told, after quite some time, as evidently there was a new computer system and new staff, that this unit was actually not available and they had no drive in units. I should have just left at this point. Unfortunately, I stayed. It then took them over an hour to locate a unit for me. This involved bumbling around in the warehouse as evidently there was a new computer system involving lock keys not working and so we were struggling to get in doors and up the elevator. We finally secure a unit and they can't get my key card to work (NOT EVER!).

To this day I still don't have a key card to get into this building or to get up the elevator. We didn't begin moving things up until after we had been at this location for two hours. Then we had to ask staff to assist us each time we moved a load precariously balanced on a cart, up the elevator and this was beyond frustrating as they had numerous other victims to not help that day.

Also, we had items that fell off the carts as we were wheeling them into the elevator as you had to go over this serious bump as you entered and items were falling off the cart and breaking. I, and my movers were there from 2:30 PM until 6 PM!!! And now my belongings are very inconveniently located on the fourth floor of that bloody building that I can't even get into. For me to get my stuff out it will take hours again!! I am so unhappy and frustrated and broke. I am a great planner and this was a total disaster. I went with U-HAUL as I thought that they were a trusted name and I didn't want to leave my move to just any man in a truck but I guess I would have been safer and happier with that.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

U-Haul is a good company to do business with and they care about their customers, always have what you need with no pressure, service is good and with a smile and politeness.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

U-Haul is a good company in general. I have rented every size truck they have and all the trucks above 20' truck are old. They have cramped cabs and if you are moving a family of 4 you need to drive two vehicles. I have seen a few four door cab self-moving trucks but none at U-Haul.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

U-Haul is a great company and I enjoyed their services. They have many different services and are reliable. The employees are courteous and knowledgeable and their prices are not too bad.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have always thoroughly enjoyed my experience with U-Haul. The employees are kind and helpful from start to finish. I was pleased that the container wasn't just dropped off and I was given lots of advice. I really did appreciated the professionalism and accommodating nature extended to me by the staff, it isn't something you usually get and they were all very courteous. When the container arrived it was a little smaller than I expected. That was my fault as I didn't pay attention to the sizes listed online. But they were very helpful in giving ideas as to how to pack it to get the most out of the space.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Moving from one home to another is never pleasant. You wake up all stressed out knowing you have to go to a U-Haul location and deal with them to get a truck, then load the truck and unload at the storage center, then bring the truck back. The only thing I liked about it was driving from one location to the other. Overall, my experience with U-Haul was okay, I rented a storage unit and truck. I dislike the availability of the storage unit sizes as well as the length of time to rent and turn in the rental truck along with the additional costs like boxes, etc. It was a little pricey but it served its purpose.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

The process was easy and smooth. Their customer service people were nice and able to answer all my questions. I discussed with them over the phone what I needed stored and they handled everything with care. I felt my items were taken care of and safe. All in all, my experience was positive. I was completely satisfied with their service and I would use them again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We first went to look up details on their website which we found to be very fluid and easy to use. Then we called the company to gather more information and luckily the person on the other side was very helpful and patient in answering questions and getting rid of any confusion on our part. Unfortunately, at the moment there was no availability and that we had to wait a bit so that was a little disappointing, but the company offered to call us back when there was availability. They also asked if we would like to reserve their product. When they called us back we were given the option of either picking up the box or having it dropped off to where we lived, which in my opinion I found very helpful. The response time was fast and their rates were low.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

It is a very easy service to use, great customer service, affordable, extremely convenient and timely. They help with packaging supplies and offer assistance moving if needed. Customer service is able to provide customers with everything that may be needed through the entire process.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I contacted them via phone, explained our situation to them and asked the representative for pricing. They were quick, kind and courteous throughout the whole process and their professionalism was second-to-none. They had some of the best pricing in our area and they were available when we needed them. From start to finish, the company was above and beyond what we expected. If I needed to move again, they'd be the first call. The service wasn't free so that's always a bummer but otherwise, they really met all of our needs.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

U-Haul was a nice fix and it helped solve some problems as well. I liked that it was easy to use and nothing big was a problem with it. The men were very nice and they helped speed through some processes for me and my family so when they came in and helped out it wasn't much of an effort. It was an easy process. Overall, it was a nice experience and they were very cooperative with what was needed to be done. They were very well behaved and actually did it well.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

U-Haul's process and transaction were fast and exceptionally easy. The salesman was extremely helpful and knowledgeable making my decision to use this company very comforting. Also, there were no delays nor complications. The reliability of the company is as true as their advertisement said.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

For my storage needs, U-Haul Storage had all the storage I could possibly need now or in the future. I like that they had clean and climate controlled storage units as well as non-climate control units and either one would fit they need anyone would have. My experience with them was excellent and I would recommend them to any friend, family or colleague as well as use them again in the future for my needs. I like that they were very experienced and very qualified to do the job I needed them to do. I like the way the company made me feel in charge the whole time and everything was done in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I contacted them to initiate the entire process, they gave me a quote, we agreed to it, they hooked me up with a storage space and I have paid monthly. My experience with U-Haul Storage was positive for the most part, and the few problems I had they took care of in a speedy manner. Their customer service was the best. I like it as well as the good storage facilities and the friendly employees. I would definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My experience with U-Haul Storage was very easy going and pleasant. They were very easy to work with and are very helpful. They also provide the best customer service. The process of getting a storage unit with them was very easy and simple. I was able to get a storage unit through the website and made my decision by comparing different sizes and rates. They provide reliable storage unit services at a cheap affordable rate. The storage units are also very safe and secure which made them even better.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I went to the U-Haul Storage website. Looked around for a little while then placed an order. They showed up and help load everything after they packed everything neatly in their awesome packing. The packing and packages were top of the line. From the first look at the website to the complete processing, completely happy and more than content. I found the experience to be a great one. They met every need it had and then some. Would definitely recommend to friends and family. The best service from a company I have had in a long time.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The service was great and the customer service was very friendly. Everything is very clean and secure. The process of getting what you need is simple, seamless and pain free. I told them what I needed and poof I had it. The people who work there were so nice and helpful. They were also very knowledgeable so if you have any problems or questions they will be answered. The price is very competitive with other companies and I can get packing, moving, equipment, trucks, and storage all in one place. I wish the price could be a little lower though but then I would not want to compromise on quality to get a lower price.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

The experience was pretty decent, not too much trouble with anything or the company. Asking family to help put or move my equipment to the truck and then garage. Usually took the whole day or more or moving as fast as we can without breaking anything to get done. The trucks and garages they offer could be a little bigger though so we can store more stock in them and better place things and not stacked up. There's a high chance you could break things. But good overall. I would recommend U-Haul Storage to anybody that asked about this company if they were planning on moving.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

The company was easy to work with, provided reasonable prices, and remained very professional. The process started with me researching a lot of companies and U-Haul Storage It was the best deal and value so I chose it. I also liked the variety of options that the company offered. There was something for any need I could have and the employees were nice as well. I would recommend them to others.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Very good experience, I enjoyed the relationship I had with the staff that worked there that were able to help me. U-Haul was an affordable choice for us to use at the time. It's easy to use and available in locations I needed and helpful with shipping need. Very easy to get a hold of someone to schedule any service or if there were questions, they looked up the answer when I needed help and got back to me. I was able to get the right amount of storage I needed. Only thing was customer service and support wasn't the best, wish they had more people working each shift, had to wait for an answer but they did answer the question eventually.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The website is very easy to navigate where you can view and compare over 40,000 storage facilities across the United States. It takes you inside to local facilities near you so you don't have to call around for pricing. The leading company has many partners with "small business, mom&pop" facilities so there are ample possibilities for you to rent in your local area; you know the pricing and can book in as little as a few minutes. You can do your business to find what suits your storage needs on your computer or on your mobile devices with no hassles. I used the storage service and did the packing myself. Once I booked a space was available and upon my arrival the customer support was exceptional. They even had tools available to help me if necessary. A very stress-free event.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

It was pleasant, convenient and U-Haul Storage had great hours. They worked with me if I was going to be a few days late and the prices were great. It was an overall great experience. But maybe they could have a drop off box for payments and could have more available hours.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We needed storage when we moved from one state to another while looking for a larger place to rent. U-Haul Storage had reasonable prices, ample storage space and many choices of space size. We were showed several spaces so we would know how much we needed to spend for a space that would hold the items we needed to store. They also provided a list of names we could speak to about their service and all the references provided had very positive things to say about them, especially about the safety of the storage compartments so we were not at all concerned. They were extremely professional, helpful and provided reliability and very quick service. We had a very good experience.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

U-Haul is a trusted brand for moving, so it makes sense that the company would seek to extend their brand promise into the storage space and they are a first choice versus other local, lesser known companies. The process of deciding to engage U-Haul self and portable storage was smooth sailing and it was easy to find prices, options, terms and conditions, etc. Their staff is sometimes harried but the experience was seamless, from the start all the way to the finish. Customer service support was adequate and representatives were knowledgeable. Also, the items were stored safely.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We were moving out of our apartment into another across town and we got to keep the Uhaul box for the whole weekend and return it in Monday so we had plenty of time to load our stuff and then unpack it. The employee were very pleasant and helpful and answered all our questions. The price was a little expensive but it was worth it. We would recommend Uhaul to anyone looking for a storage box to use it. It was a good experience and we had no problems. The Uhaul was not as clean as expected but when we mentioned it to the manager they cleaned it out. Was mainly just some garbage left from previous renters.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

U-Haul Storage/U-Box was very affordable, extremely convenient and exceeded expectations. I called the company and advised them that I was in need of a storage solution. The company then replied the size of the storage unit (approximately a room and a half) & asked me would I come get it or did I need it delivered. They also asked if I would be packing it myself or needed their assistance. I advised I would be packing it myself. I was then asked to schedule a pick-up time & they picked it up during the time they said they would.

I liked the fact that they would deliver & come pick up the storage unit as well as your belongings. However there were a few less-than-friendly employees there but unfortunately that's just the character flaws of some people in my hometown. The actual office that was called was great but the guys who delivered? Not so much. Other than that the experience with U-Haul Storage/U-Box was extremely positive. I got what I paid for and was able to get it set up and running quickly. It was a very easy & seamless process & I would use it again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

When I first contacted them, they were professional, they offered plenty of knowledge, they had local resource for me. I spoke to a very kind receptionist who walked me through everything that I needed to do. This was my first time using such a service and she was such a great help for me and made the process so seamless. They were also able to be available for me when I needed them and in the time frame that I needed them. They offered competitive rates, warranties and insurance that was far better than that of any competitor, they went out of their way to make me feel important. I can't say enough about how grateful I am that they were available with helping out my family and myself. They could not have been a better help than they were. I wish that there were more companies out there that are just as available out there for other people to be able to use. I will definitely use this same company if I ever need these types of services again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I needed a storage unit to store some personal items that I was not wanting to move from my old home to my new one. I didn't really want to throw them out either. So I went online to research the best option and found U-Haul. Went to the location and rented a unit and stored my things.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I looked U-Haul Storage up through their website and also spoke to a representative on the phone. I found good information on the website and the phone rep helped walk me through. It was a good experience. I received good customer service and it was easy to set up. This was the first time I had looked into this type of service and I was a little confused about it the beginning. I have used some U-Haul locations in smaller towns and you never really know what to expect but this customer service was more professional. I would consider using them again in the future for my storage needs when my children move in and out for college.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I ordered a truck online, used U-Haul Storage's truck size examples to find the right size I would need. Set up pick up time and drop off time and went to get it. I got to the place and my truck was ready with gas in it and had no complications. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I like that it's pretty easy to setup, order online and pickup. They have an online truck size chart that is helpful when trying to figure out what size you need so you do not have to make a bunch of trips back and forth. However, there are extra charges for everything. Also, some of the trucks just seem old and hard to drive or wore down. But for the most part U-Haul Storage is fine.

U-Haul expert review by ConsumerAffairs

U-Haul is a self-move and self-storage company that launched in 1945. Along with trailers and trucks, they rent U-Box containers that allow consumers to pack a room's contents for safe moving or storage through various delivery and pick-up solutions.

• Local and long distance moving: With U-Box, consumers can work around their personal schedule. Moving helpers are available to accommodate any moving needs, or a self-service option is available. U-Box containers are a great option for overseas shipping for consumers making an international move.
    • Storage: The containers can fit the contents of about one-and-a-half rooms of household items. U-Box offers short and long term storage on-site or in a secure warehouse.
    • Dimensions: A U-Box container is 96 inches long and 60 inches high with a capacity of 257 cubic feet. Each container can hold up to 2,000 pounds. Consumers can find a simple calculator online to help determine how many containers are necessary.
    • Delivery options: U-Box offers three different delivery options: a low-cost self-delivery, moving help delivery and truck delivery. They also give consumers the option to load/unload at a U-Haul location, and Hawaii residents can use U-Box for inter-island shipping.
    • Rates: Rates include cost for delivery to and from the consumer’s home, shipping costs and storage costs. The rate is guaranteed to be final so no unexpected costs arise.
    • Best for: Consumers moving internationally, locally or cross country.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs