U-Haul Storage

U-Haul Storage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.79/5

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

U-Haul Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul Storage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

The U-Haul rental payment page is awful. I have now twice been charged late fees after trying to pay online before payment was due and on both occasions being told by U-Haul on their payment page, no payment was due. They need to address this issue immediately. If they are at all concerned about their customers the payment page needs to be user-friendly, in its current format I believe it is designed to deliberately mislead renters so you can then charge late fee.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I am a Bi-Coastal (or Tri Coastal if you will) voice over actress traveling between Los Angeles, Dallas and New York for the last many years. Because I was traveling so much I left my most treasured and other belongings in a U-haul storage Facility here in Dallas (but not until grilling them about pest control). Recently, as I am in Dallas right now, I went to check on things and discovered that everything I own was covered in not only roaches, but BAT POOP, RAT POOP, MOUSE POOP and Urine! I am losing everything and it should be U-haul's fault as there were holes in the room, and they did NO PEST CONTROL as is obvious.

I am losing my entire history of work, brand new things with cartoon characters I voiced on them, valuable one of a kind furniture, mementos from my trips to Africa, Philippines and other places to help 3rd world children as well as pretty much everything I own. However, the worst part is they and their ins. company are DOING NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO REMEDY THE SITUATION, OR GIVE ANY REFUNDS, GIVE THE VALUE OF INS. or anything and even worse still they cleaned the room, are charging me for another one, and re-renting the poop, rodent, vermin, roach filled room to someone else without any investigation into anything!

So, many many, many others are going to have their treasured belongings destroyed by UHAUL as well, and they can be sure U-haul will not claim any responsibility, nor will their ins. co., and that includes the extra ins. you pay for. So basically, people are paying U-Haul to destroy their belongings! I am including pics, but these are just the beginning! If you will help me, you will help many other poor unwitting folks who have already or about to have their stuff destroyed by U-Haul as well. I have tons of pictures and videos! Sincerely, Carrie ** Please keep all contact and private info off the web and on a need to know basis only!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I tried to sign into my account and could not after many years of doing so, it kept saying it did not recognize my device and to enter a verification code that would be emailed to me. I checked my email, no code. Tried again - multiple times, multiple devices, multiple browsers - no luck. Contacted customer service, spent three days emailing back and forth and got all kinds of useless advice that showed they had no idea how their own system worked and no interest in finding out what the issue was. They never did fix the issue, I had to call the local office, explain everything again and have them send a receipt. I need to get my receipt each month, so this is unacceptable - no access to my account and totally incompetent U-Haul customer "service." It's too bad, I've been with the same storage company for 17 years now, but their association with U-Haul means I will now be moving my stuff elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Worst company you will ever work with. I would prefer to give these people 0 stars! I have never been treated so badly by a company in my life. I don’t even know where to begin. I received a damaged box that didn’t lock. They tried to charge me money for stuff they didn’t do at every turn, the movers they suggested were the most unprofessional people I’ve ever worked with. And I have been trying to talk to a manager and get reimbursed for the damage to my items as well as for the absolutely horrendous service they provided and NO ONE WILL EVER CALL YOU BACK. That’s their strategy. NEVER EVER USE THESE CROOKS!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

From the time I first rented my storage unit, I had over miles used while moving in with truck rental due to manager not being there when hours are posted and took 3 weeks to be able to use my code to enter! I've complained about ROACHES around area of storage and was told there's nothing they could do, then on this past Friday I was at my unit most of the day and I Am a smoker ALTHOUGH NOT anywhere near my unit!

While I had been awaiting a buyer from offer up for items listed by me, A man later to find out, named Thomas **, came to my unit, which is located INSIDE, and automatically began accusing me of smoking in unit?!?! I was completely shocked and explained I was a smoker but no I'm not smoking inside my unit, I smoked outside in my car! He proceeded to accuse me of lying then stepped inside my storage unit without my permission and accused me of being a transient!!!! Telling me I can't live there?!?! Then as I proceeded to argue that I was not homeless and didn't appreciate his accusations he then told me I was evicted!!!!

I've made numerous complaints to office and to corporate office although, I've only been told there's nothing they can do because he is a general manager?!?!

So now...even though I'm paid thru to Jan o1. 2020...I am to be out on Christmas day??? I'm seriously very upset...I'm a 55 year old woman who sells items on offer up and disabled but not a transient!! I want a formal apology and the eviction revoked. If not I will take further civil action against both UHaul and Mr. Thomas **, Sincerely P **

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

If you go to rent any U-Haul product from this Valero station after you read this and the other poor reviews in Yelp and Google for this location you are crazy! Don't go there if you want to be treated with any respect or as you would expect. Here is my story. I made the reservation for a 6'x12' cargo trailer online, no problem. The next day I wanted to change to an earlier pick-up time. I called the local number and after many rings it transferred to the U-Haul national line. They told me they pick up the call after so many rings to the local number. No problem, I was able to change my pick-up time. I even received a call 24-hours ahead confirming the new time.

When I went to this Valero station to pick up my trailer, it was a completely different experience. There was a middle eastern younger guy who was in the store when I arrived. He said nothing when our eyes met. When I asked where I needed to go to pick up my trailer, he pointed to the counter. He asked for my DL, which I gave him. He started his work on the computer. I tried to ask him a couple confirming questions and he ignored me even though he was only three-feet away facing me. I gave him my CC, he charged me. No problem. Then he told me where the trailer was located. Said to be sure that when I returned it to put it into the exact same location not blocking anything even a little bit or he would charge me $25 fee on my credit card. I said as long as someone told me where to park it, it would be done correctly.

Then he asked if I knew how to hook up the trailer. I said "no" and that he should be responsible for that to be sure it was done correctly and safely. He said, "I'm not hooking up any ** trailer because it would throw out his back." He is in his 20's and I am 64 years old. I told him I wasn't going to hook it up either. He went to his computer and began to cancel my rental saying he was going to send to another location that was 5 miles away. I said I didn't have time to go to another damn location and that he/U-Haul needs to hook it up. Again, he replied with, "no way he was going to hook up my ** trailer." So I offered, "How about if we go out together and hook up the trailer." He agreed.

Walking out I mentioned to him that I understood now why his customer reviews online only rated 3-stars due to his attitude and customer service skills. He really got angry and screamed at me that he "didn't care one ** thing about customer ratings" and he told me to get the ** of his premises. I said, "Let me just get the trailer and be on my way." Once we got out there, he lifted up the tongue and set it on my trailer ball, hooked up the chains, etc., very easily. When it came to hooking up the lights my Toyota 4Runner has only a round trailer light connector. The trailer had the 5-pin style all in line. He told me I would have to go the Walmart and buy a pigtail cable converter. This man never offered to rent or sell me one. Obviously they don't keep any around. I'm sure my vehicle is not the only one they have hooked a trailer to that requires this additional part. I was not happy and I showed it. He told me to leave the "** premises" again.

I agreed. He unhooked the trailer, again lifting it off and down with no problem. We went inside where I had to ask forcefully to him to run a refund and give me a receipt. I had to yell at him to sign the receipt, which he did with just a couple marks on the paper saying all the time to me in broken English that, "I was ** and to get the ** out." End of story, he used the "f" word several more times screaming at the top of his lungs. I of course called U-Haul and have filed a formal complaint against this guy and location. U-Haul is great. I've rented from them before many times with no problems. Don't use this location! They do not deserve to show the U-Haul sign. By the way it forced me to choose 1-star to post this. Clearly they deserve none and no future business.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I made a reservation two weeks in advance for a large moving truck with a car trailer for my interstate move. I called prior to my move 3 times to find out what town I would need to pick up my equipment in and to inform the customer service department of my preferred area. The DAY before my move I am informed that my equipment is 58 miles and the only closer facility would be 38 but the car trailer would be another 30 from me. Two separate locations! Perhaps they should schedule their equipment with some extra time so if they screw up they can fix it. I cancelled my reservation and hired a company that could accommodate and had the equipment in one location.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I found U-Haul in Venice, FL to be professional, knowledgeable and supportive. I absolutely would use the company again especially for its boxes. I have a friend who will be moving in a couple of weeks so I'll research and compare them to other businesses in the area for the "best deal."

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

First, somehow my payment date was changed, but I was on automatic payments so I didn't realize this until they locked me out of my storage for acquiring late fees EVERY MONTH even though I was paying EVERY MONTH! When I realized this, and spoke to them, they wouldn't credit me for all the late payment charges, even though I was paying every month. Then, I go by 4 days after I pay off my past due balance, and I am still locked out of my unit! So I go to tell them, and after waiting around for 30 minutes, they were still too busy to remove their padlock so I could access my (paid up to date) unit! Fine, I will just come back next weekend.

Came back tonight to find out that I haven't paid extra to get 24 hour access TO MY STUFF! So I get there at 6:45, and have to talk to the office once again to have them correct my account, and by the time that's done I go to grab ONE load of boxes out of my unit, and the guy tell me it's too late and I need to leave. Oh, and last but not least, there was a giant cockroach just hanging out in my indoor, climate controlled unit!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My recent U-Haul experience was a nightmare. First of all, I rented a 15' truck for my move 6 weeks prior to my move and when I called to confirm was told that the truck I ordered wasn't going to be available at the time I requested (8 am) but at 11 am and this was not guarantee but only an estimate, or at the location I requested but rather at a location 40 minutes away from the original location. I was on the phone with U-HAUL for 3 hours to resolve this issue. 3 hours that I really didn't have the day before my move. I was eventually able to resolve this issue and the truck I rented was not available at the location I requested, at a time close to the time I requested (9 am).

Now, enter the storage unit rental experience. I originally rented a drive-in storage unit in Chicopee., six weeks prior to my move. As I was living on the cape, I arranged this over the phone and with the help of a staff member who assisted me in choosing a drive up unit that he told me should accommodate my two bedroom apartment. (Confirmation # **) When I arrived it was clear that there was no way my belongings would ever fit in this unit. They offered to rent me (at my expense) two small units but the contents of my two bedroom house would never have fit in this. These units are way too small. My movers stated clearly that my furniture would not fit in these units.

They called the Holyoke facility and I rented a very large drive up unit there. Confirmation # **. When I arrived, I waited for half an hour to be served while my movers waited as well. I was then told, after quite some time, as evidently there was a new computer system and new staff, that this unit was actually not available and they had no drive in units. I should have just left at this point. Unfortunately, I stayed. It then took them over an hour to locate a unit for me. This involved bumbling around in the warehouse as evidently there was a new computer system involving lock keys not working and so we were struggling to get in doors and up the elevator. We finally secure a unit and they can't get my key card to work (NOT EVER!).

To this day I still don't have a key card to get into this building or to get up the elevator. We didn't begin moving things up until after we had been at this location for two hours. Then we had to ask staff to assist us each time we moved a load precariously balanced on a cart, up the elevator and this was beyond frustrating as they had numerous other victims to not help that day.

Also, we had items that fell off the carts as we were wheeling them into the elevator as you had to go over this serious bump as you entered and items were falling off the cart and breaking. I, and my movers were there from 2:30 PM until 6 PM!!! And now my belongings are very inconveniently located on the fourth floor of that bloody building that I can't even get into. For me to get my stuff out it will take hours again!! I am so unhappy and frustrated and broke. I am a great planner and this was a total disaster. I went with U-HAUL as I thought that they were a trusted name and I didn't want to leave my move to just any man in a truck but I guess I would have been safer and happier with that.

U-Haul author review by Jessica Render

U-Haul is a self-move and self-storage company that launched in 1945. Along with trailers and trucks, they rent U-Box containers that allow consumers to pack a room's contents for safe moving or storage through various delivery and pick-up solutions.

• Local and long distance moving: With U-Box, consumers can work around their personal schedule. Moving helpers are available to accommodate any moving needs, or a self-service option is available. U-Box containers are a great option for overseas shipping for consumers making an international move.

• Storage: The containers can fit the contents of about one-and-a-half rooms of household items. U-Box offers short and long term storage on-site or in a secure warehouse.

• Dimensions: A U-Box container is 96 inches long and 60 inches high with a capacity of 257 cubic feet. Each container can hold up to 2,000 pounds. Consumers can find a simple calculator online to help determine how many containers are necessary.

• Delivery options: U-Box offers three different delivery options: a low-cost self-delivery, moving help delivery and truck delivery. They also give consumers the option to load/unload at a U-Haul location, and Hawaii residents can use U-Box for inter-island shipping.

• Rates: Rates include cost for delivery to and from the consumer’s home, shipping costs and storage costs. The rate is guaranteed to be final so no unexpected costs arise.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

U-Haul Storage Company Information