U-Haul Storage

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies

Research top Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Payment Harassment. They send an automated email a week before the storage rent is due which is an acceptable reminder. On the due date, they call me to remind me that payment is due (I have 3 days before being charged a late fee). If I don't make the payment, I receive a call each morning of those 3 days. I have rented storage from them since Sept 2012 - and have very seldom been charged a late payment.

We always use U-Haul for all our packing, moving and sometimes storage needs and have never had a problem. We've used them so much and they often give us discounts in addition to the low prices. Everyone is always loving and kind.

It's easy booking online or by phone or in-person. I had a last-minute change for reservation, and everything went smoothly with minimal effort by me. They have convenient pick-up locations and better prices than other similar businesses. It's not cheap but competitive, and better.

A couple of people have since left and one good value associate remains. As for the manager who taken Darryl place has a poor customer relation as I was looking for a lost box 5 month back and said he look into it. Month passed I checked said could find it so a lady in the shop contacted her GM and a check sheet I left with him to check he tossed aside, so when I got the from the GM when it was he had a attitude. Commented he was busy but really never looked as I see it.

We had a confusing mess when we got to Washington to help our disabled daughter move. I specifically asked if the pod would be ready at the location we specified and it was not. We then had to hire another vehicle to get the pod from 2 miles away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Trucks are always nice and clean, staff is always helpful and friendly and location is convenient. Based on our experience at this location, we also used a U-Haul service for storage and truck rental in San Diego, CA and had the same great experience. My only thought is to be very mindful of the mileage you use... that can add up pretty quickly.

It's too expensive just for a daily rate or for that matter for a week or two. Come down on prices and you will find you will be used more times than none.

I have used the U-Haul trucks. They are spacious, low to the ground for easy access to loading the truck for heavy items! They have loop grommets on the walls to tie items down so they don't slide around or fall down! You can rent blankets for keeping your items from getting scratched. The cab is roomier. I carry three people comfortably and they are automatic for those that can't drive a manual drive. They have plenty of power to climb mountains! The cost is very reasonable to rent!

They have ramps to walk up instead of having to step up or climb up into the back of the truck. You can also add on a towing bar to haul extra vehicles with you! They also have storage areas in some of their U-Haul facilities to store your good in a secure and climate controlled area to keep your items from rusting or getting moisture from your items and destroying them. They rent these spaces for a reasonable price as well! They have U-Haul dealerships in most towns across America for your convenience!

On Feb. 2, 2017 I attempted to rent a storage unit using a certificate that was issued by U-Haul for 30 days free storage. Premier Center refused to accept the certificate unless I planned to rent for 6 months or longer. The certificate had no such restriction on it. I had to rent from another storage facility. I emailed U-Haul, but they did not respond to my complaint. I have had good service from U-Haul in the past, but I can't believe that they issued me a useless certificate and then ignored my complaint.

We moved to a new city in September. Rented a one way U-Haul truck which gave us a free storage for 30 days. We had the storage from 9/16/16 to 10/15/16. Closed it out and had a receipt printed that showed our account zeroed out. A little over a week ago my father in law received a couple letters addressed to me (he was our emergency contact). One stating they hadn't received our payment that was due on 10/17/16 so they tacked on a $20 late fee. And another saying that I owed them $1709.25.

We called the location listed which was the location we had our unit. They were rude and snotty stating that they "didn't know why we were calling them because it can from another county". According to them the charge was coming from the county we moved from. We called them because that's the location listed in the letter. They gave us a phone number to call and I was waiting for my fiancé to call, but decided to use their live chat because it's easier for me since I always have my kids around and they're not quiet.

The lady was nice. She asked for a contract number which the letter does not have. It also doesn't list a unit number. It says #reservationnumber when it goes to list the unit. She had her manager look at the file and then told me they are sending it to the local and regional offices and someone would contact me. So I guess we will see if this actually gets resolved. Shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Where does $1709.25 even come from for a month of storage???

The items in my two of my climate-controlled units were covered in fire repellent. U-Haul claims the renter of the unit next to mine is responsible but have not given a satisfactory explanation of how it happened and won't provide me with the report of their investigation. They rejected my claim. The Restoration company provided an estimate of over 4K to remove, clean, and restore my items. That does not include clothes and fabrics nor a mattress that is not salvageable. Total costs could be between 6-8k.

In spring of 2015 I arranged for a ubox in NMB Florida. Unfortunately due to printer problems they couldn't print me a copy of my contract. Nevertheless, it took me several days to pack but by the time I was finished, my circumstances had changed. My partner, and reason for the move, was now employed with Delta which meant I could ship everything for free via the airline. Rather than unpack the box, I made an arrangement with U-Haul to keep it in NMB on a month to month basis. But, 2 days later after I left town I received a call from U-Haul saying they erred and shipped the box via a third party and it was out of their hands and they were unable to track or return the box to NMB.

I asked U-Haul for a copy of the contract but the original file they sent me multiple times via email is empty. It had been deleted from their server. However they have a new copy of a different contact at the destination, near Seattle Washington. Which is where they're holding our stuff for over a year and I've been paying storage fees of approximately $90 a month until I can pay the shipping cost of $2000. Now, it looks like I can't come up with the $2000 so I'll have to default losing our belongings, $1000 in storage fees and risk collections just because they shipped the box when it was supposed to remain in storage in NMB.

Who would ever think by storing everything you own would be ruin in less than 10 days. My apt was not ready so I used the storage facility to store my things, when I picked my stuff up it was full of insects and bugs. My things were stored and packed as if I was moving out of state. Repwest their insurance carrier is doing nothing about it. The facility itself is doing nothing. I had to throw away everything, my stove, fridge, all my furniture. I am so sadden and disgusted to lose everything and they are doing absolutely nothing about it. The filing claim process is a joke. These people have ruin me and my kids lives for the moment with no care or concern.

When I got the bill back, I was charged with a charge for a dolly. Typically when you rent something, someone walks you to the car, to show you the vehicle, to make sure there aren't any damages when you return it. They charged me for having used a dolly, due to a broken seal. It seems terribly unethical to charge somebody something when they don't confirm with you the condition beforehand. The man I spoke to over the phone was terribly unprofessional and forced down my throat that I used it. I didn't even touch it - I recall very vividly that the seal looked similar to a clothing tag in a department store, and that I shouldn't even touch it, lest I get charged. Whether the small slither of plastic tab broke during the bumpy ride, or the man was mistaken, nobody ever responds well to accusations. The very least I would expect is an apology for the mishap of a broken tab. What TERRIBLE TERRIBLE POLICY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I rented a 10' truck from Elizabeth, NJ and returned to Princeton Junction, NJ. I drove 46 miles (mostly on Highway 95) and added 4 gallons gas (I still have the receipt). When I picked up the truck, the gas is not full, which can be proved by the contract I have. When I returned the car, the manager in Princeton Junction refused to look at the mileage and gas right away and asked me to leave. They claimed the gas is full when I picked up, and charged me $6.50 for the gas. I wonder how I can get my money back, or how can I sue U-Haul.

I have been renting a storage unit for a couple of years and the price has been raised twice, both times illegally. I have been overcharged the whole time, had my property illegally withheld, been threatened with liens and with having my property sold (all while being current on my account). I have talked to corporate headquarters and notified them about a problem with their billing, yet months later I am still being harassed about money I don't owe. Time for legal action. I would recommend that anybody looking for a storage unit steer well clear of these jokers.

My pre-reserved and pre-paid climate controlled storage unit was miraculously not available upon arrival on the scheduled afternoon. I was offered a non-climate controlled unit on the exterior. Considering I had a truck full of my things and 2 men there to help me, I accepted this unit, as a last resort. 4 months later I moved my things out to find mold growing on certain items, and general mustiness in the unit. The huge poison box they had placed in the corner did not keep out all the critters, as I also found small pellet droppings on my items (mice?).

Upon moving my things out and closing the contract, I requested a prorated refund for the 27 days of the prepaid month that I would not be using. I was informed that they do not prorate under any circumstance, as a policy. The customer pays a full month's rent in advance no matter how many days of that month they occupy the space. This allows U-Haul to rent the unit and receive double income for the space, which seems very unethical to me. Throughout my experiences I received poor customer service and long wait lines. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

I spoke to UHaul requesting a Manager or Supervisor of Corporate to tell of the bad services. Have constant sent emails and my attorney also sent a letter to request to reserve my things in storage because I am disable and asked for and told I had storage space when arriving to Mobile from Florida. Found that a storage place upstairs in which I was unable to go upstairs and then calling around in Mobile to find storage and no one could accommodate. But if they could the truck would not start and the people that tried to help me had to take 3 bedroom house of furniture across the parking lot to two different storage spaces that I now would have to paid for that me disable and coming to Mobile for hearing seeking help.

I tried to keep up with the payments of two while I waited for the decision payment and requesting dire need after pawning my only transportation to paid for meds and storage while I was homeless. I requested the Corporate office to contact the local office after communicating with Fabien ** and my attorney Olinksy Law Firm also informing that the storage would be paid out and to allow us to get the payment from them so I could also have enough to remove the items from storages in full.

The attorney sent the letter in October 2015. I spoke to several employees in Mobile including the Manager that a letter was sent to myself to verify that they contacted UHaul. The SSA sent the monies and missed by one day thinking that the letter in place and the Certified letter I signed on last week would give me time to pay the storages in full as promised.

Both was put in the same day and the Manager ignored the correspondent from the attorney and auctions my things that included my children, my grandchildren and my parents that is deceased and things that had sentimental values included my deceased child pictures and personal things. My degrees and diplomas of mine and my kids! Things that years of hard work that have me disabled today, my clothes and shoes, everything. I sent letters, emails, begging to give me the time to receive from SSA and they made it by one day thinking that because of all of the misfortunate things that has occurred with UHaul they would value the customer -- I have been since 1984 or further back when my jobs had me to relocate and used UHaul.

I have rented a storage unit from the Yonkers NY U-Haul for more than 6 years now. I find their computer system and customer service unbelievably bad. The system to pay your monthly storage bill doubled - billed me twice. However today was a new low or high, the system charged me 3 months rent when I only authorized one month. OK computer glitch? No I don't think so - not if it happens consistently. This has cause me a lot of problems. It is hard if not impossible to get a refund from these people. I have had to battle for refunds. My bank states I have to speak to them first before I can try to stop the payment on this debit. I am furious. Either my rent check or my insurance check is going to bounce today, and I have basically no money till I get paid again next week. I wouldn't mind once but this is the third and last time I am going through this.

I made online reservations for a ubox. When I finally finished the price I agreed to pay was $2600 when they called me and said I needed to pay them an extra $800 because the price was only good for the day I made the reservation. I am so disappointed I thought they had to honor their pricing.

I have been storing my things at U-Haul in Opa-locka Florida for about five years now. Every couple of months I receive a notice saying either my rent is going up or their mandatory bogus insurance is going up. What a joke. I'm pretty sure this insurance will not pay to replace most of your things. Unless I'm reading it wrong… pretty much most things of value are not covered. U-Haul, you better start treating your customers right. There are a lot of other storage options popping up everywhere. I see you going out of business unless you make some adjustments. I feel like I'm being taken for a ride. I'm paying now 132.12 for a very small unit. I would not recommend to family or friends… or strangers.

I stored my belongings in one of their climate controlled buildings. I had moved out of town and used their facility for close to 2 yrs. Bad weather had hit in 2011 and there was damage done to the unit and my belongings, flooding. They contacted to come check out my stuff. I contacted my local contact and they had lost the keys. I asked U-Haul if they could cut the lock to gain entrance and they told it wasn't allowed. They said I would have to contact a locksmith or use theirs. At the time I had no money so it had to be put on hold until I could get the funds.

A month or so later they contacted to inform me they had insurance adjusters and were moving things to another unit. They told me they would be taking pics of the things damaged to protect both parties from illegal actions or something of that sort. They had cut the lock themselves to gain access. A few this later I was able to arrange to rent a truck and remove my items from their property, only to find it was in a much smaller unit and 80% of belongings were gone.

I had purchase insurance from them and from a 3rd party. Theirs was included with my monthly charge for renting the unit. The other was a one 're charge that would cover all my belongings in the unit ($20,000). It consisted of the total furnishings of a 3 bedroom home. I am still in court over that claim, but U-Haul never compensated for my stuff. And as for moving stuff without my permission, that is still questionable. To top it off, they put my remains in a smaller unit and still charged me for the the larger one. No pictures have been given to me either. They handled this all quite unprofessional and possibly illegally. From here on out I will be never use them again and I wish to warn all those who do!

Recently, in an effort to reduce clutter, we have rented 3 10x10 storage spaces at the Brentwood U-Haul Storage Facility. A month ago, after the ice and snow storms we had in Nashville, we went to retrieve a few items only to discover that the units on the ground floor (2 of our 3) had been flooded by ice melting. We arranged to transfer these 2 rooms to upper floor rooms, and evaluated the damaged goods that were actually on the floor. We lost several personal items (carton of 200 LP's - classics) unopened box of hardwood flooring, etc. The real problem is their bookkeeping system is now considering us late on payments, and charging late fees, and placing liens on our goods, when we are fully up to date on our payments. They are so screwed up it is beyond recognition. Talking to these people rationally is almost undoable.

About U-Haul Brentwood, TN location storage. A bad place. Twice got flooded and once during snow time, water came in (Low ground). VERY BAD customer service. Sends out notice to GUARANTOR just a day of delay in payment. STAY AWAY from U-HAUL.

My mother and I were renting a couple of U boxes to have things put in storage for a month. When we first talked to them, they accepted the card we used to pay for it, assuring us they accepted it, then when trying to charge the card it wouldn't go through. We had to go up through the levels for around 3 hours before someone would explain why they wouldn't accept the card. This whole time they kept threatening to take the U boxes back. I was in town only for the week so I really needed them to pack. Then when we offered to pay part in cash and get the rest when it was picked up, they refused and demanded another card (which I don't have).

We finally got that resolved after going through the corporate levels once again and now, a month later we want the pods delivered. Now, after confirming that there would be no more charges multiple times, getting as specific as possible, they refuse to deliver the pods without an additional $200. We had set up ahead of time that we would only store for a month and then they would be taken somewhere else. The rent ends soon, so we had coordinated to have people come and unpack the pods at the new location and paid for a new facility to make sure we were finished before the deadline came. All the work and changing plans to make sure everything would run smoothly and be done with minimum hassle all destroyed because they failed to a) give all the information up front multiple times and b) refuse to try and come to a compromise so we can try to fix the problem.

Uhaul sold my Adderal & inhaler meds & told me I had to pay $1000 on a separate storage acct in order to get back all my property. They towed away a van on Dec 22, 2014 that had all my immediate daily necessities, money, meds, important papers, 2 rifles, 1 handgun, 1 derringer, food, dog food, clothes, slew of electronics & batteries, & much more valuable & private things, insurance & rent vouchers, etc. They put it with the storage ACCT already set for auctioning JAN 7 2015!!!! And despite my PLEASE NOT TO GO AHEAD WITH AUCTION, THEY DID & I received email stating ALL WAS SOLD FOR $35.00!!! The police are involved, waiting for me to go to magistrate due to illegal sale of amphetamines & illegal possession, distribution. I just want my property, all of it, given back to me!!!

So, I had to put my washer and dryer in storage because I moved into an apartment that didn't have a hook-up. First thing they told me was that the first month was free. Lie number 1. Then, they explained that if I showed proof of renter's insurance, I'd get a discount. Lie number 2. The first month was not free. And I was still paying $90.00 a month. Also, I asked them to please kindly wait until the middle of the month when I got my 2nd paycheck. The nasty person kept trying to feed me this utter BS that the payment dates were set in stone; nothing can be changed.

Beware! They like to double dip too. Somehow, when my 61-year-old father, who out of the kindness of his heart, paid for a rental trailer for my husband and I to help move our stuff, used his debit card to pay for the trailer. Well, somehow, these fraudsters decided to not only take from my account and throw it into the negative, they'll take $90.00 out of my father's account as well. How can they live with themselves, knowing that they took advantage of a senior citizen?

Now this month, I get a nasty letter in the mail threatening me with late fees and liens if I don't pay on time. They won't let me get my washer and dryer out of storage either. Hell, they already took a payment from my father, and I can't get my damn washer and dryer out? Folks, do not rent storage units from these fraudsters. They aren't worth the money spent. I'm sick of this BS.

Used U-Hauls all over San Antonio, TX and now in NE PA. San Antonio, TX @ San Pedro/Basse, awesome guys. Manager Jeff is top notch. I can't say enough good things about him!!! Got me squared with truck, trailer tow and situated up here in PA with a flawless trip and superior customer service. Hated to leave them. Stopped in St Louis dwntn locale to CK tires. Awesome team there as well!!! Wilkes-Barre fellas were super but didn't use them after all since Scranton @ 7th ended up being my final destination. Brian over there bent over backwards to make sure I was happy with drop off and unhitch of my car and finally a storage unit I could use. Won't go into details but I've never seen a company work so hard and go out of their way to take care of a customer.

Me and my kids were brand new in a new place and to have Brian and his group welcome us as our first point of contact with smiles and words of kindness, it was a feeling that I can't explain for us and made our 2000 mile trip end so beautifully. If you go into a business relationship with folks with a mentality that they are people too and things do happen, just as they do in your own life, well, both sides can win. You just must be patient and understanding and good things will happen. Arrogance and a master's attitude is never the way to do business. I fear a lot of folks' posts may reflect what the problem with is to begin with. Life is not etched in stone and kindness to folks and a smile goes a long long way.... and a thank you to those who served you, whether they are paid to do it or not is irrelevant. I love U-Haul!!!

I rented a U-Haul van and because of a misunderstanding the van got impounded then taken back to U-Haul. When I contacted U-Haul about my stuff and went and picked the things up it wasn't even 1/4 of what was in the U-Haul when it got towed away. They said they threw my clothes away because they were saturated in oil (which isn't true) and threw away my flat screen tv because it was broke (which it wasn't when the van got towed) and that was all there was in there. So my video camera and laptop and other things were just gone?!?!

I needed to rent a storage unit to store my furniture during a move as my apartment was not ready to move into and I had sold my condo and was living with relatives temporarily. I needed a large unit but they did not have any available so I rented three small adjacent units. I had to buy a separate lock and key for each unit. During my move to my apartment I decided to keep one of the units for extra stuff. I asked U-Haul to remove the other two units from my account and they refused saying all three are connected in the computer so they can't separate them and my options are 1. continue paying for all three units or 2. get a fourth unit and move my stuff into that one. I spoke to two people at U-Haul and they both told me the same thing. I haven't been back but it would not surprise me if they rented out the two units I am paying for but not using to other people. I am 65 and on chemo and I cannot move the stuff from one unit to another by myself, so either way I am out more money as I would have to hire people to move the items around the U-Haul building. This does not seem ethical.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

U-Haul is a self-move and self-storage company that launched in 1945. Along with trailers and trucks, they rent U-Box containers that allow consumers to pack a room's contents for safe moving or storage through various delivery and pick-up solutions.

• Local and long distance moving: With U-Box, consumers can work around their personal schedule. Moving helpers are available to accommodate any moving needs, or a self-service option is available. U-Box containers are a great option for overseas shipping for consumers making an international move.
  • Storage: The containers can fit the contents of about one-and-a-half rooms of household items. U-Box offers short and long term storage on-site or in a secure warehouse.
  • Dimensions: A U-Box container is 96 inches long and 60 inches high with a capacity of 257 cubic feet. Each container can hold up to 2,000 pounds. Consumers can find a simple calculator online to help determine how many containers are necessary.
  • Delivery options: U-Box offers three different delivery options: a low-cost self-delivery, moving help delivery and truck delivery. They also give consumers the option to load/unload at a U-Haul location, and Hawaii residents can use U-Box for inter-island shipping.
  • Rates: Rates include cost for delivery to and from the consumer’s home, shipping costs and storage costs. The rate is guaranteed to be final so no unexpected costs arise.
  • Best for Consumers moving internationally, locally or cross country.

Compare Self Storage and Portable Storage Companies