Find a Movers partner

3.8/5 (1418 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 29, 2020

2015 - We rented a box truck to relocate cities after my husband got out of the military. The truck we received had a broken fuel gauge. We filled the tank, dropped it off with the gas receipt and were still charged b/c the fuel tank registered low.

2018 - We rented a box truck to move from our rental to the house we purchased. We showed up to pick up the truck and the store wasn't open. After waiting in the parking lot for an hour, an employee showed up and proceeded to tell all of the customers that the person who was supposed to open didn't show up. He used vulgar language and was completely unprofessional all around. They didn't have the truck we reserved, so we were forced to rent a smaller truck.

2020 - We rented a box truck to pick up a piece of furniture. We made a reservation and arrived to pick up the truck. We were told they had no record of our reservation, so we were forced to do go through the process all over again. New truck, none of the extra materials we ordered with our reservation. Then U-Haul double charged us - once for the reservation truck and once for the new truck the store made us get. We've been trying to speak with the customer service billing department all day and after going through the menu options, it says, "I'm sorry, try back later."

If I could give negative stars, I would. How is U-Haul still in business when this is how they operate? It's ludicrous that I've required their services 3 times in 5 years, and have had issues all 3 times. In the event we ever need a box truck in the future, we'll use anybody other than U-Haul. Everything from the trucks themselves, to the store fronts and people that work them, to their customer service, is not just lacking. It's non-existent.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Extremely poor service. I picked up a Uhaul and car trailer to drive 2000 miles, 7/10/20, in Pineville, NC. I given a old car trailer and an old truck. There was no due diligence to ensure lights worked or these two equipments could travel that distance. I left at 6:30 am on 7/11/20, to start a 2 day trip. Within 200 miles, the car trailer bracket was broke. I had to stop in Jefferson, Georgia, and replace the car trailer that had a vehicle on it. (The personnel at that UHaul facility were wonderful). Then the connector on the truck to the trailer did not work. Delay of 4 hours. Back on the road and within 2 hours, air conditioner engine broke. I drove in heat and was extremely uncomfortable to reach Moss Point, Mississippi.

I stopped overnight and in the early AM contacted UHaul. A late fee was incurred waiting for the service man. He found that the air conditioner engine was broke and needed to be replaced with the needed supply not available until the next morning. I had to stay overnight in a hotel and the next morning drive without air conditioning to the repair shop. (Uhaul service personnel wonderful in Biloxi, MS) Another delay of 32 hours, with a late start to drive, on a scheduled 48 hour drive. In Houston, TX, the air conditioner engine that had just been replaced that AM, began stopping and starting for the duration of the trip. In July, the heat was almost intolerable. There is still a problem happening in the truck. Engine light is on.

I had to drive late into the night to reach my destination on early Tuesday AM. The trip I had scheduled (and have done several times), consisted of 2 days of day light driving. A 2 day drive extended into 4 days, with uncomfortable, delays and mandated night driving. I was expected to be home by Sunday, 7/12/20, but due to these repair delays from old equipment, I arrived instead in early AM 7/14/2020. I am not a young woman anymore, so this heat, delays, problems were very difficult for me.

The negative I had to absorb for this trip: Monday, 7/13/20, the day I had MY planned birthday celebration had to be cancelled (thanks a lot—63 years old, waiting for an old UHaul to be repaired, 3 States over). This is UNFORGIVABLE. Rescheduling of movers, as I had 2 storage rooms to load and unload, which had to be changed and rescheduled. Unexpected expenses for food, hotels, cleaning clothes, as I was not prepared for such delays for me and my dachshund. Unexpected traveling without air conditioning. Delay and usage of my valuable time.

There was NO Reason for the UHaul location in Pineville, NC, to give me OLD equipment that was not able to drive across the country, had not even had minimal maintenance updated on it, and no due diligence to ensure lights were working. I should have been given newer, functioning equipment that had a much better opportunity to drive across the county.

The truck they gave me had been in a previous wreck with the bottom of the truck torn and hanging off the truck. A sticker was on it, stating it had been previously claimed by insurance. Honestly, the Uhaul in Pineville, NC, just wanted to have someone rid them of this truck and the old car trailer. This rental had to do more with them getting rid of old equipment than giving me the proper equipment I had paid for and usually get from UHaul.

My life was put in harm’s way by UHaul renting me a defective car trailer and a truck that was not up to date on its maintenance. Not having an air conditioner in July on the Gulf Coast was not healthy for a 63 year old. I was charged $74 for returning the truck 1 day late, despite me being delayed 40 hours on 2 different repair stops. UHaul used to be a company where the equipment you rent was in good shape. No more. I was compensated $50 for my hotels, food, 40 hour delay, driving without air conditioning, and 2 stops for repairs.

Original review: July 22, 2020

This is my 3rd attempt to contact a supervisor or someone at U-haul who gives a ** about their customer service! Now the manager at Midwest city Oklahoma u-haul calls and gives me some freaking number to call my credit card company and tell them to take one of the charges off my statement! He charged me $121. and $116. So I was charged twice! Now I have to fix this!!! Is this standard procedure?

As I stated in the last email. I went online and reserved a half ton in Shawnee OK but when I got there it was closed and the lady on the phone said they took it to Midwest city. The lady at Midwest city was so snappy on the phone I just hung up. When I got there the manager stuck me with a van. I used way more gas than I would have in the half ton truck. I am asking for a full refund, if you ever want me to use u-haul again. This has been a nightmare and it's still going. Now I have to take time. I don't have to call the credit card company and write you all. Please email me.

Original review: July 13, 2020

After having my 26' U-Haul and all my belongings were stolen which was eventually found and towed to an impound lot I couldnt get an answer on when I would be able to retrieve what items were left in the U-haul. It took a week for them to get the U-haul out of the impound at which point I had to fly back to Texas and sort through the mess that was left. I was informed I would not be charged due to these circumstances.

After about two weeks now the reservation still remains open and I am still being charged the amount. I've spent over 6 hours on hold while being bounced back and forth between departments while everyone just tells me they can't help me. That's such and such department. Part of the charges that I am being charged are from the days the U-haul was in the impound lot. I am unable to get an actual finalized receipt which I need to claim due to traveling because of government duties. This has been a catastrophic experience and not one U-haul representative has helped me solve these issues.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Beware of Uhaul and their promises of delivered service!! I ordered a trailer hitch from Uhaul from Kanis Road location in Little Rock, AR (8) days ago paying in advance. They called me the day of installation saying my hitch was backordered? Shouldn't they of known at the time of the order? Plus I needed this hitch to pull a trailer down to Florida for my vacation!!! Thanks Uhaul! Now I have to find some other means of transportation the DAY BEFORE my vacation!! They are extremely untrustworthy and need to be called out on this for anyone else relying on them!!

Original review: June 29, 2020

We wanted to start a recent local move at 7am, and scheduled a truck using U-Haul’s 24/7 service. We received a confirmation email, and when I checked the night before, my time was still listed as 7am. Lo and behold, when I got to U-Haul at 7am, I was told through their online system I could not pick up the truck until the store opened at 9am. I received absolutely zero correspondence that the time had changed.

When I called customer service, they had the nerve to A. Tell me it was my fault because I had not confirmed the reservation (What? There was no way to do this), and B. Send me to another phone line for scheduling help that they guaranteed me would be open at the time of my call, except, of course, it was not. When I finally came back to pick up the truck at 9, the site provided only one of the two dollies I had asked for and paid for, also with no advance notice. I was able to get some money back by DMing U-Haul on Twitter, but I will never use this company again for anything related to moving.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Whoever did this invoice are thieves!!!! You charged $135 then you reimburse the money yourselves under oil change!!!! Because it wasn't reimbursed to my bank account. I will be reporting this to the Better Business Bureau!!!! No wonder you never responded to my email.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Rented a truck and trailer. Day before pick up received a call that the trailer broke but there is another one 25 miles away. Get a call the day of pick up that the trailer is not available, the guy refuses to return. I make arrangements for following weekend, received text confirmation. When I go online to check on order, my reservation is canceled. The local U-Haul locations will not answer the phone, I was told that they are too busy. Stay away from this place.

Original review: June 19, 2020

GO WITH BUDGET. THEY GIVE 20% DISCOUNT which was 30% cheaper then U-Haul. My story: 1530 I made a reservation to rent a truck from U-Haul in N. Charleston, SC at 0730 the next morning. I called the location to add a hand truck for my move. I had a guaranteed reservation or "we will give you $50." BEWARE OF U-HAULS GUARANTEES, THEY ARE WORTHLESS! 1715 I received a call from GIA from the U-Haul call center. She said she was sorry that the location never set up my reservation for an online pickup. The store will open at 9am.

I had already arranged to be dropped off at the interstate exit by my neighbor on his way to work and now I needed to wait in a not so desirable neighborhood. GIA was unable to find me a better location. I asked for my Guarantee $50 and she laughed at me. I asked for a supervisor, next came TISH an area manager. USELESS and not willing to help. Bottom Line: I now rent with BUDGET. Military TEAM, Budget gives 20% off your move.

Original review: June 12, 2020

My name is Jill ** phone number **. June 5, 2020. I made a reservation to to pick up UHaul at the grab in go store. A manual contract had to be done because uhaul system was down. After approximately an hour and half of phone calls between customer service and the authorization approval people, nothing was ever accomplished. However, I received notification that two transactions in the amount of $54.20 each had been taken out of my account. For the manual contract I was asked to give my card number over the phone. The last person I spoke with from uhaul over the phone was impatient, wouldn’t answer my questions, and disconnected from me. 2 1/2 hrs. Goes by and no progress. I had to pay for an Uber to get home.

The next day I called about the money that should not have been taken out of my account, and uhaul employee told me that wasn’t a problem on uhaul end that I need to take it up with my bank. I called back and spoke to another uhaul employee and she stayed that the money was just on hold and it would be released within 48 hours. It’s been a week now, I called again and was given 2 authorization codes, and told to call my bank and give them these codes, and hope for the best. I have run out of patience, and this is unacceptable. A supervisor with knowledge of all the details beginning with the reservation I made, needs to contact me within 24 hours, with the solution that will be acceptable by me, for this to be resolved. Or further action will be taken, Thanks, Jill **.

Original review: May 24, 2020

It doesn't matter whom you speak to; you will get a different answer, including cost. I rented two boxes, and only one arrived at the correct destination in twelve days. However, they were unable to find the other box. Eventually, it was found still sitting in the original city that it was loaded in, and it arrived close to three weeks later. When I called the General Manager in Georgia, she said my 'compensation' for their error was that I would not be charged anything additional for the box to be sent to the correct location. In other words, Uhaul wouldn't charge me for their screw up. I questioned her about some of the charges and let her know that I had verified the fees with three different people. She stated that she dealt with this all the time and that it is an ongoing problem.

Pretty much nobody knows what they're doing. When I got the second box, all the totes were upside down or on their side with the contents everywhere. The first box's door was bent to the point that I could not get the lock off, and after finally getting the lock off, to close again, I had to use a hammer. If you are looking for a cheap way to move and Uhaul sounds less expensive than hiring movers, DON'T DO IT! You will regret it, and in the end, it will not be cheaper!

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have used UHaul before with no real problems, but this time reserving 3 weeks in advance to be safe. Got a call 24 hours before picking up that no truck would available and needed to travel 75 miles further to pick one up. What's the point of making reservations if not to have equipment reserved? Had made plans and appointments scheduled based on original reserved date, but now needed to change or cancel due to this inconvenience.

Meeting with realtors, who's schedule I was on for a move-in, to Medical appointments, which were even more difficult to reschedule due to their traveling to different offices weekly, and had to cancel physical therapy due to the delays interfering with their schedule. Called corporate office and representative Very cordial and directed me to scheduling. Same story, "maybe in a few days". No help there reserving, first come first served, and additional travel beyond the 30 miles involved. They have us as a captive audience when in living in a rural area.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I rented a U-Haul truck on April 28, 2020 from Lake Charles Louisiana and paid $641.35 for my truck $51.05 for moving equipment and $325.00 for moving help. When I arrived at U-Haul in Lake Charles Louisiana and started the mobile pickup I was informed of a $100.00 deposit due to me paying with a debit card. On May 1, 2020 I returned the U-Haul truck to my designated drop off location, followed the instructions in the mobile app and called the U-Haul customer care line to assure the drop off information was submitted correctly. The lady that I spoke with assured me that everything was good. I asked the agent about my $100 deposit because I only received a refund of $65.00 and she told me that was my refund minus the extra day and insurance on truck. I then asked her about the $5.95 handlers fee from the movers and was told about making a review before I would receive that refunded to my account.

Today at 4:47pm my card was charged $89.40! I call customer care center and spoke with an agent that had no clue about my $100 deposit and tells me that the extra 89.40 was for my late return! I asked to speak to her supervisor (Samantha) which also could not explain to me about where my money went and why or how my deposit went missing through the mobile app, why I was over charged at the time of pickup and that’s why I received the $65.00 and why I was told on May 1, 2020 that the extra day was taken out of my deposit and the $65.00 is what I had left. I was also told the $89.40 was taken because that was my extra day with the truck and she reopened my reservation for her higher up team to look at.

I don’t know if this is an issue with the mobile app or the U-Haul employees don’t knowing what they are doing. Why am I missing my $100 deposit and another $89.40 has been taking from my account? I have used U-Haul over 6 times in the past 10 years and have never encountered these issues until I used this mobile app but after dealing with my money missing, nobody can explain where my money went and the company is still taking money from me, I will never waste my time with this company again! U-Haul has stolen from me and my family! I am a very disappointed customer and out of $189.40 with horrible customer service and lies from my agent on May 1, 2020 nobody has yet to help me!

Original review: April 9, 2020

U-Haul rep were awful. No one knows where my box is or the correct contract number. Customer and managers have terrible attitude and refuse to respond to their mistakes. This company is terrible and I will sue them if I do not get my stuff back.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Rented a 15 ft truck in Lee’s Summit Missouri to move furniture to Naples Florida approximately 1500 mile trip, truck was so noisy. We had a difficult time communicating in the cab. When we got to hot temperatures in Florida I turned on the air conditioning and it only blew hot air. We called the company and reported it, thus we had to drive 7 hours sweating in the truck with the windows down. I then reported it to the U-Haul drop off point. It has now been 6 weeks and have not received any contact from the company, thus we will never use the U-Haul company again. I am considering disputing the 1600.00 charge on my credit card. So beware if you are renting a vehicle!

Original review: March 30, 2020

U-Haul is nothing but scum of the earth. Back in 2016 when my wife and I were moving into my mother's house we got a uhaul because we thought it would save us money, little did we know they Illegally charged us for going to 2 different cities when we never went to. Plus they charged us for gas that we put in the tank before returning. They charged us for fuel that we never used and said we used more mileage than claimed. So they put me on the "don't rent to list" which is bs, they told me I still owe them $65 which is a lie. I wouldn't even recommend uhaul to my worst enemy. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. THEY LIE, CHEAT, AND STEAL!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2020

I reserved a truck online. I wanted a truck to be at the location chosen. I was not able to get that as per phone call. I then had to confirm with an Iphone. I dont have one. I called and chatted 6 times to get my point across about not having a phone. Last person I spoke to said it was fine to show my driver's license in person. I still had to drive 45 minutes to pick up truck rather than 20. I am so disappointed.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I took my car in to have a trailer hitch installed. The car sounded fine. When I went to pick the vehicle up there was an exhaust leak that made the car sound rough. I contacted the company. Told him before I left the facility. They refuse to acknowledge that they made a mistake.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

My husband and I moved to Florida from Keene NH recently. We went to the Keene NH Facility to rent these items. Moving truck and Car hauler. We waited for 15 minutes yelling, "Is anyone here," to walk around the building and find your so call manager and one other employee smoking beside the building. Who is there to wait on customers. We asked for the girl, younger than the manager who was so nice and helpful when we went in to ask about the pricing. We were told she didn't work there anymore. We were treated with disdain after asking for the other girl that. We were told if we didn't like who was waiting on us we could get out My husband and I walked out. No wonder the nice girl no longer works there. Budge in Brattleboro VT was more than willing to take our money and were very helpful. And Guess what....when we walked in they had someone there to greet us, not around the building smoking and leaving the store unattended.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I used U-Haul for the first time ever to rent a van for 2 hours to move a mattress. I walked in and started to go thru the reservation process with the rep (who wasn’t pleasant). After a few minutes he handed me the keys, told me to replace the gas I used before returning it and made mention that my reservation was being texted to me. Ok. Easy.

I did what I needed to do without incident, put more gas in it than needed and proceeded to return the van. There were 2 drop offs ahead of me so I waited patiently in line. A different employee approached me and took my key, asked if I replaced the gas and told me I’d get a receipt via text. Never received the receipt.

The next morning I checked my credit card statement, and discovered a $550 charge! I called customer service and was informed this was for damage to the vehicle!! I informed the rep that there was no way I had damaged it, but there was nothing she could do besides email me the incident report. She then asked if I had done the vehicle inspection prior to leaving the lot. I didn’t know what she was talking about, the rep never explained anything about an inspection and this being my first time, I was naively unaware of this procedure.

Not only did the rep not inform me to perform a vehicle inspection, they took the vehicle back, never called to inform me of the damages and never emailed a receipt. They just charged the card on file! No explanation- no correspondence— nothing!! I am now taking this up with corporate because I feel scammed. Why wasn’t I informed of an inspection prior to leaving the lot? Why didn’t they call me after I returned it to ask about damages? Why didn’t I get a receipt like they stated I would? They just charge your credit card and hope you don’t realize it. Sounds very fishy to me. Please be aware. This is the Mt Pleasant location in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

We rented a car tow dolly. The tires were bald, blew out, waited for hours to be replaced. Cost us time, hotels, meals, fuel and they didn’t reimburse us for anything. Horrible company and experience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

So I ordered a 26-foot truck for a one-way move of 77 miles. The morning of the move I get a phone call that they didn't have that size truck. They were going to give me two trucks for the price of the one truck. That they were giving me extra days and extra mileage to get it done. When I went to pick up the first truck from the first location, she told me it'd be a hundred and twenty something dollars and I said I already prepaid. She made a phone call and left a voicemail, no one was available to help her. I went ahead and paid, because I had movers standing there getting paid for nothing. So, I just figured U-Haul refund me since I already paid for it. And researching would happen, reservations did not link my two orders together.

Since calling U-Haul this week to get my refund they're saying because they're extra miles. They credited me $80 of the $127 because of mileage. So all the stuff they said they were giving me the extra free mileage the extra days no they didn't give it to me. I had to pay!!!! They took me for an extra $50 that was not rightfully theirs. They did not have the equipment to get my move done in one trip!! So they weasel $50 in mileage out of me or whatever it is they're claiming it is. I still am not clear on that. I've used them many times for moves but you can bet I will NEVER EVER use them again and I will be sharing this story for the rest of my life, they are crooks. They say they're going to GIVE you something then they make you pay for it. Use at your own risk. You will regret it!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We rented from our local U-Haul rental provider after making the reservation online. The estimate was much less than the actual cost. We were quoted an estimate and that amount was debited from our account. When we turned the truck in the actual cost was figured by Uhaul and that amount was debited from our account. The original estimated amount was not credited to our actual invoice. In essence Uhaul charged us twice and will refund the held money in 3-5 business days. When questioning Uhaul regarding these charges, they stated it is in their contract. The contract which is only available in the smallest of print. Don't rent from them unless you want to pay more and get less than the other rental companies. Upfront it seems like a good deal, but the small print will get you every time.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I can see why this local UHaul (UHaul Moving and Storage of Vestavia, AL) is not listed on Angie's List, HomeAdvisor's, or has a Better Business Bureau affiliation. After driving in from out of town to get a hitch installed on my car, and having confirmed that the parts were in, several days in advance, when I arrived for my reservation, I was told the parts were NOT in! When asked how that could be, after verifying the parts several days beforehand, I was told their employees were trained to say "yes." My biggest disappointment was the absence of any apologies whatsoever. I was then promised I would be contacted AS SOON as the parts did arrive. That never happened. I had to call the corporate office the day before my rescheduled reservation (on a holiday weekend, of course) to finally verify that the parts had arrived. [5 Stars to the Corporate office for their assistance!] This is the type of service you should expect should you choose to do business at this location.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Let me preface this by saying I have been a U-Haul customer for years, using them at least five times in the past 10 years or so. I have never had much of an issue with them, aside from maybe using their horrible app to pick up a rental van. This time, though, U-Haul showed me what I believe is their TRUE colors. I made a reservation online for a one-way long-distance move, with a car trailer, furniture pads, and added insurance. The next day, I went to my online UHaul account to add an additional driver. At that time, I learned that my requested location was no longer listed, nor was the car trailer, furniture pads, or insurance, although I provided my credit card information to make a deposit the day prior.

I called UHaul, and their customer service person told me that my REQUEST was under review by a manager--not my RESERVATION. A REQUEST. And there was nothing that rep could do. So, I contacted UHaul via Twitter where I was told that the only thing ever on my account was the 20' truck, and that they could not make a promise regarding the pick-up location of the truck. They said someone would call me THE DAY BEFORE MY MOVE to confirm pick up location and equipment availability.

So, basically, if you book online, that is simply a REQUEST and not a RESERVATION, and they don't even really know how/if they'll be able to honor it until the day before you must pick up the equipment. I informed the rep that my move date was non-negotiable because I'm starting a new job, and she reiterated the process to me. I have since cancelled my request to rent from U-Haul and put in an actual reservation with a different company that not only honors pick-up location, but also has unlimited mileage.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Based on my experience with U-Haul, I can tell you that not only do they have horrific service, rude reps, they could care less about endangering YOUR LIFE & those on the road with you!! It all started with a simple reservation to pick up a truck and an auto trailer for a oneway interstate move. The night before pick up, I got a call telling me that I’d have to go to another location to pick up the truck. Not the end of the world. Then the rep went on to tell me that the auto transport was at a second location 4 miles away. I asked if they could at least get the transport to the same location the truck I was renting. His response. “We don’t offer that service.”

I called them back in the morning to ask if they could get the equipment I was renting to a single location. Honestly, is that too much to ask of a nationwide company that rents trucks & auto transports?!?!? Well, that rep assured me that the auto transport would be at the location I was renting the truck in Watts, not the Westchester location I confirmed and paid in full for a pick up several days in advance. She claimed she updated my reservation, so off I went to the location.

Upon arrival at the Watts location, they told me that they didn’t have a reservation for the auto-transport. The office called corporate and spoke to L.A. reservation manager “Leoné”. She changed that reservation over to the location I was getting my truck. They then hooked that auto transport to the truck. The rep began looking over the paperwork and luckily found that the auto-transport was NOT SAFE for my vehicle. I was thankful, but still upset as I would have to drive to the other location and get the transport EVEN THOUGH I WAS REASSURED NUMEROUS TIMES DURING THAT MORNINGS PHONE CALL.

BUT IT GETS MUCH WORSE AND LIFE-THREATENING! I got my truck for the 350+ mile rental with 1/8 tank gas. Spectacular service, huh?!? I went to the next location to pick up the transport, they no longer had the reservation as it had been changed to the truck location. No one bothered to get that updated. They simply could care less about any moniker of service whatsoever! I called the corporate office and got the charming (HEAVY SARCASM!!) Leoné who was rude and said this was “all my fault ‘cause I had had kepted changing’ my reservation location.” This is how U-Haul treats someone spending north of $700.00 dollars!!

SO HERE COME THE LIFE THREATENING PART! They connected my auto transport and I headed off to the closest gas station in a pretty sketchy neighborhood where cashiers protect themselves with bulletproof plexiglass. I had to get gas for the 10/ gallon vehicle that Haul rented me with close to an empty tank.

I loaded up all that day and got on the road. I noticed what I thought was a slow leak on the tire of the auto transport. I filled it with air and listened to the sidewall for hissing. It seemed to be fine. I took a picture, but didn’t notice the worn tread that shows this piece of equipment has been on the road with a slow leak for THOUSANDS OF MILES!!

I went on the road and drove from LA to just count of Baker and pulled off to check the tire and use the restroom. That tire had lost quite a bit of air and at that point, I felt it was dangerous to myself and those around me to be traveling 55mph down a highway with a leaky tire that had bald treads on the outside and inside. At this point I was so fed up and just plain exhausted, I slept in the truck and waited for morning to get service to a replacement company to continue my move.

When the tow truck driver arrived, he confirmed that the tread-wear was obviously from thousands of miles of wear and NOT just a few hundred from LA to the location I froze my butt off overnight. He replaced the tire and I headed out to my final destination. Because of all this, I was charged an extra day for the truck. But, hey, they took a $50 off for possibly killing me and anyone else on the road for hundreds of miles. Don’t even consider using U-haul. They should AT LEAST refund the entire amount, if not compensate me for risking my life with willful neglect of equipment!

U-Haul rented me a truck with an auto transport that put my life at risk! The auto-transport had a leaking tire that showed thousands of miles of tread-wear establishing the neglect over an extended amount of time. This has photographic and video documentation as well as the tow truck driver stating that this tire has been in bad shape with a leak for thousands of miles.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I rented a truck that had a pin broke in the steering mechanism behind the tire. I didn’t know this until I had the truck loaded and got out on the interstate and picked up a little speed and the truck shook so bad it felt like the tire was going to fall off. I called U-Haul and they had me take the truck back to my house. After the mechanic they sent out found the problem they had a tow truck tow my truck with my stuff to a storage building where I was moving.. 5 hours a way. My mother had passed away a few months prior and I had some of her furniture I had inherited on the back of the truck. Needless to say, when they raised the truck everything shifted so my mother's things along with my new washer and dryer and a few other things were damaged.

When I called U-Haul they did not want to compensate anything but offered me 175.02 for my troubles. Thanks U-Haul. Hope it doesn’t bankrupt you. Oh wait... I haven’t even received the 175.02 yet and now no one will return my call so now when I call they say it has been closed. Never will I recommend U-Haul to anyone!!! Had to rent a Penske truck just to take my stuff where I needed after U-Haul left my truck at a storage unit! No problems with Penske at all!!! Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My mother made reservations for a 25 ft truck back in September of 2019 for December 28, 2019. On the day that she was scheduled to pick up the truck at the Odessa, TX location on Kermit highway she received a call from a Uhaul representative stating they did not have any trucks and they were being given away on a first come first serve basis. This caused a delay of her getting moved to the DFW area. On Dec 29th she received a call from Uhaul around 9am stating they were able to locate a truck and she could come in to pick it up. She told them she was not able to get out to the location until 4pm that evening. By 3PM she had received a call stating they no longer had a truck due to first come first serve again.

On Dec 30th. I had to drive from Odessa, TX to San Angelo, TX to pick up the truck and Uhaul did not try to make things right in any kind of way. The Odessa, TX locations are terrible and unprofessional on Kermit Highway. The 1800 number that you contact to make reservations do not communicate with the local branches to ensure that there are trucks available. This was a very terrible experience and it cost me additional fees due to the delayed response of getting a truck. I would recommend anyone to run far away from this company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Needed to help get a friend out of a bad situation and rented truck (so I thought) for one night. The keys for the truck were NOT in the lockbox so the person on the phone continued giving box numbers until I found keys in a box. Found keys and the contract was supposed to be updated. The contract was never amended. Filed a STOLEN VEHICLE report with local POLICE. 6 days later finally straightened out and charged for larger vehicle for entire time.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I posted a credit card and reserved a trailer with U-Haul. They emailed me a confirmation with a pickup time and location. Based on their confirmation I hired a crew of guys to meet at my home to load the trailer. The location was closed, so after several emergency calls, U-Haul company representative wasn’t able to reach the location owner. U-haul did scheduled another location several miles away, which took over a hour of driving time. Paying people for doing nothing is very frustrating, especially when U-Haul failed to fulfill their obligations to supply a trailer at the proper time and location. They did apply a $50 credit that didn’t come close to covering my expenses. I contacted customer service and was told the $50 was the best management could do. I would highly recommend not using a company who provides more lip service than customer service.

U-Haul Company Information