1.24/5
Based on 120 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

872 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 2, 2018

On June 30, 2018, I reserved a truck and storage compartment at 1120 State St. "U-Haul Neighborhood Dealer" in Springfield, Massachusetts. I went to pick up the truck and pay for storage this morning, July 1, 2018. A person was with me to drive my car as I drove the truck to clear out my dead brother's apartment. That person came up to the counter while I was conducting my business and interrupted telling the clerk U-HAUL trucks were substandard. They argued back and forth about who has the better experience with trucks. I asked the both of them to stop so I could finish what I came to do.

The manager threw his pencil down and said he was not going to give me a truck because I brought the person with me. That was wrong and nonprofessional. I had nothing to do with their argument. I had to drive to another U-HAUL in Chicopee, Mass. to get a truck; so upset I forgot to rent the storage. I ended up having to keep the truck an extra day because I had no storage. The manager should have asked the person to step away from the desk the way I did. Instead, he took it out on me. I hope someone reads this and does something about it. I asked to speak to his boss and he said he is the boss.

I asked if the other clerk could help me and he said "no". I left very upset but I remained a lady. I was the customer. I was treated badly because the clerk engaged in an argument that had nothing to do with me or my transaction. I am not responsible for another person's actions. NOT FAIR! I will make a phone call in the morning to better express myself; hopefully to Corporate Office. With death in my family, I should not have had to go through that type of nonsense. Oh, by the way I did speak very strongly to the person who was with me when we got outside. He had no business at the counter at all.

Original review: June 29, 2018

7 phone calls, perpetual hold black hole. Never got to talk to an agent. Ironically you ask continuously on the recording to give a review. Did you think it was going to be a positive one given your track record?!! You screwed up my reservation. You seemed confused by the easiest of tasks!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Rented a 15 ft. truck to move a refrigerator. Had the truck back when instructed and put key in box. When I check my credit card, this business claimed damage to the passenger side underskirt, and charged me for repair and an extra rental fee! Like really?? All because I didn't get their insurance! The damage he claimed was old and had rust! After complaining to the regional manager it was removed. This business is bad!! They are downright cheats!!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Reserved a 15 ft U-Haul weeks in advance. Had to phone twice after booking online because the information for the reservation was wrong - wrong date, time, and vehicle. Had to wait on hold both times, where an obnoxious message played on repeat (even worse than typical hold music). And after all that, I was told that they didn't have anything larger than a 9 ft van available. Completely messed up my moving plans, and it meant I didn't find an alternative ahead of time.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Pleasant experience. They had the right size truck and had it ready on time. Upon return a representative walked to the truck and looked it over. She gave me my receipt and I was on my way. I was over the time by about an hour but she did not charge me extra. I had the truck for 5 days and 1200 miles. No problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: June 26, 2018

I used U-Haul in 2017 for a U-Box move. It went well. So I had no concerns with using them again for my most recent move. I booked almost a month in advance online. When we went that morning to pick up our 15 ft truck, we arrived at 7:48 am for an 8am rental, and the truck was gone. It was rented out the night before and had not been returned. So we were stuck at U-Haul for 3 hours waiting on a truck. Finally got a truck, that pushed our moving help back until 2pm. Disaster! Finally returned to the U-Haul for our car trailer about 4pm. We were on a long distance move. We drove about 160 miles before we were alerted by another driver that 1 of our tires on the trailer had blown. We contacted roadside assistance for service and waited 2.5 hours on the side of the interstate for a tow truck.

The driver was very nice, he came with a tire that was used, it had a hole in it, he plugged the hole and told us we should make it to Maryland. So, we started up the road again, checked the tire 10 miles later, it was fine. When we arrived at my mother's home 70 miles away, the tire had blown again. I was very angry. My husband was on the phone with roadside assistance again, trying to get service. He was up most of the night waiting for service. U-Haul kept insisting that we had gotten into an accident. I insisted that we didn't. The equipment was unsafe, the service guys told my husband the axle on the wheel was bent, and that's why the tire kept blowing, it could have easily caused us to have a wreck. U-Haul didn't want to allow us to swap trailers. It was a day long battle trying to work with U-Haul and the service technicians to get a safe trailer since we had so far to go. I was beyond angry!

We were finally able to secure a better trailer at 2am Sunday morning and we left at 6am that same morning. We made it to our destination as scheduled. We tried to contact U-Haul to file a complaint and speak to someone about this ordeal, we have both been unsuccessful in our attempts to make contact. This is unacceptable and very unprofessional to me. I will not use them again!

Original review: June 26, 2018

U-Haul is the most ridiculous organization I have ever dealt with when it comes to someone who should be an expert in this. They have no Idea where my mother's belongings are and whoever you talk to tries to elevate and pass it on to the next person. They literally do not have a clue. At one point I was told that the box is still here in Naples in my driveway. Then they say they found it and would arrive on Monday. Now they don't know where it is but they DID charge my credit card $1500... So they do know where the billing statement is. What a joke. Stay Away of U-BOX. They asked me yesterday if I bought insurance. I guess I should have.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I'm not one to write reviews, but after my recent experience using U-Haul's U-Boxes, I want to share to help anyone planning a long distance move with a storage container. The pricing for a U-Box container is very reasonable and it was easy to reserve online. Unfortunately, when it came to customer service and communication, U-Haul failed miserably.

In Arizona, I lived in a one bedroom condo where I sold most of my furniture. I was specifically using the U-Box containers for miscellaneous home décor, tools, kitchen items including a dining room table and chairs, a couple TV's, and a bed. I reserved 2 U-Boxes according to the recommendation on their website. When my "drop off" day arrived, I never heard from a representative to know exactly what time my boxes would be delivered. I waited around most of the morning calling the customer service number to no avail, and then started calling local U-Haul store numbers to get a human being on the phone who could reference my reservation.

I finally reached a person who advised me my driver would be dropping them off between noon and 1 PM. Despite the initial lack of communication, I wasn't too concerned. The forklift driver was very cordial, and promptly unloaded the boxes in the areas I specified. At first glance, the boxes were a little rough, but hey if U-Haul stands behind them, then I have no reason to doubt their product. I spent the weekend loading them up according to their directions, and the forklift driver returned that Monday to pick them up and return to the warehouse for transport.

When I made my reservation, U-Haul guaranteed my boxes would be delivered in Jacksonville, FL on Sunday, 6/17/18, and then a representative would contact me to arrange for delivery to my home address in St. Augustine that Monday, 6/18/18. The boxes were picked up from my condo on Monday, 6/4/18. Once again, I never heard from a U-Haul representative regarding issues or the status of my U-Boxes. I finally received an email confirmation that my U-Boxes were received in their Jacksonville warehouse on Tuesday, 6/19/18, with a scheduled delivery date to my house on Wednesday 6/20/18. I really didn't care that it was a day late at that point; I was just happy to know my belongings made it. Well, Wednesday 6/20 rolls by and no contact from U-Haul.

I logged into my U-Haul account to see that my delivery date was rescheduled for Thursday 6/28/18 which is completely unacceptable. I immediately called the warehouse holding my U-Boxes looking for an explanation, and the young lady on the line said the driver was too busy and backed up, and wasn't sure when my U-Boxes could be delivered. After hearing the haste in my voice, she took down my information and advised that the driver would call me back as soon as possible. She explained that they only have 1 driver who loads and unloads these boxes, so it could be several hours before I hear from her.

The driver finally called me towards the end of the day with some very bad news -- 1 of my U-Boxes was broken, and it was unsafe to deliver to my house. She tried to explain to me over the phone what she thought happened, but ultimately the only resolution was for me to drive over an hour into Jacksonville to pick up my things. I asked her about the other U-Box, and said she still wouldn't be able to deliver it until the following week. The GM of that store gave approval to give me a free U-Haul truck to drive and pick up my things, and I ended up emptying both boxes just because I couldn't wait another week for the other one.

The Jacksonville store did not offer any help to move my things, nor any compensation other than a free truck. I still had to pay for the gas. I also ended up missing a day of work to get this done. When I arrived at the Normandy Jacksonville location, they stated my box was overweight, and Tucson should've never picked up/transported it to Florida. I had a hard time believing or understanding this based on contents.

I've moved MANY times over the last 5 years - all interstate moves using storage containers, and never had any issues with packing. The broken box was shrink wrapped and bolted together after the fact. The door was broken off and the base was almost completely separated from the walls. It looked like the contents of my container had fallen out at one point, because they were covered in dirt and debris. If my container was indeed overweight, not a single representative called to explain this to me. I honestly believe the boxes were in too rough of condition to begin with. With all that being said, I'm super disappointed. I paid over $2000 to load and unload my things one time at my door step which did not happen. I lost additional time and money. I'm a very laid back person and I know people make mistakes, but this was handled so wrong. U-Haul will never have my business ever again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

So I reserved a truck for a drop off in my new city but they didn't hold me a truck. I get a text message the night before my rental pick up saying I need to go across town for my rental. Then they charge me for extra miles once I arrive in my new city along with a drop off charge as my return location had changed as well. Of course I used more miles when I had to drive further for the truck. No one alerted me I needed to drop the car in another city as well. I called customer service and was told reservation cities are only a preference and up to you to work around the change.

Original review: June 13, 2018

As if moving were not stressful enough, U-Haul made it so much worse with a lack of communication, lack of clarity, inability to be reached with any kind of efficiency and terrible customer service. My family relocated from Chicago to Boulder this summer. We decided to use the U-boxes and ordered 2 for our 1 bedroom apartment per the website recommendation. We ordered the boxes 4 weeks before the loading date. On the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, we were called to ask if we had the required permits for dropping off the boxes outside our Chicago apartment. This was the first we had heard of needing a permit of any kind.

We called back 3 times, were hung up on twice, and waited on hold for 40 minutes before someone told us they didn't know what kind of permit we needed and we need to check with the city. By that time we had to wait until Tuesday to call the city and discover that Chicago does not allow the boxes to be dropped off on any city street. Nowhere on U-Haul's website is there any indication that some cities might have limits to where the U-boxes can be dropped off. Nor does it state anywhere the U-boxes need to be unloaded on private property. So we ended up renting a truck, loading our apartment into it, driving the truck to the Uhaul compound and loading our boxes from there. Turns out we were quoted incorrectly for our apartment space, and needed to rent a 3rd box.

We get ourselves to Boulder and get the email confirmation that our boxes arrived at the storage facility in Denver. However, we never hear from anyone at that location to arrange to have the boxes delivered to our final destination. We call the warehouse, only to discover that we either can't access our boxes for 3 days past our desired delivery date (which was stated on the original order) unless we drive to Denver with a truck that has the appropriate hitch and rent a trailer from Uhaul, or rent a truck from them for an additional $400 and drive the boxes to our final destination ourselves. Every turn this company has failed to communicate clearly, and has used every opportunity to squeeze more money from us. They are dishonest, sneaky, unhelpful and I am frankly surprised that they are still in business. Do yourself a favor, use any other moving service. U-Haul is dead to me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I reserved a 17 foot 3 weeks ahead of time and went to pick up on reservation date and they had no truck for me. U-Haul said I had to drive 45 minutes out of town to pick up a 20 foot truck which was too big and I had to drive this truck from Texas to Georgia. When I got to Georgia all my TVs were cracked from the truck being so big and I did not have a lot of furniture to fill the space of a 20 foot truck. SMH... Thank U-Haul!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have rented from U-Haul on numerous occasions over the years, some good, some bad. But I've been good customer... good driver, clean record, all bills paid-in-full at time of service... I've never once been penalized for failure to comply with any of their requirements. BUT, a few months ago, a hired a couple of workers to help me with a move, when I was renting the truck I listed one of the workers as the driver, her name FLAGGED in their system alleging an unpaid bill, so U-Haul declined to rent the truck to us. Inconvenient, but understandable.

MY ISSUE: I am once again in need of a rental, so I secured a reservation online, but when I was there to pick up the trailer, MY account FLAGGED! I called to inquire and THEY ARE REFUSING TO RENT TO ME BECAUSE OF THIS LADY'S DEBT!!! This is a lady I hired that one time! I'm not responsible for her alleged debts or liabilities, yet U-Haul is labeling me as an unworthy customer because of a beef they have with someone I crossed paths with! GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION - is that legal? Because it's certainly unjust!

Original review: June 11, 2018

A few months ago, we rented a Ubox, filled it up about half full, and have had it sitting at a U-Haul facility. We now had more to add to it. So my husband called Customer Service to set up the delivery of our existing Ubox from the U-Haul storage location to our house. He was told a scheduler would call him back; no one ever did. Two weeks later when we had the free time to try this all again, I called CS on Monday. Was told a scheduler would call me the next day to set up delivery. No one called.

So Wednesday, I called CS again. He said we were not scheduled yet, but he could do it (so why couldn't the CS rep I spoke with two days earlier just schedule me? Or the rep my husband spoke with two weeks earlier?). He scheduled our delivery for between 9am and 10am the next day. About an hour later, a rep called to ask for the delivery address and if we wanted morning or afternoon. Morning… like I had scheduled with the guy an hour ago.

The next day, 10am came and went; no delivery. I called CS, asked to speak with a manager. They could only take a message to have the storage location manager call me back. I gave them my husband’s info, as he was the one at home waiting for it. The manager called back and told my husband he was looking into it. Later that afternoon, a guy from an Auto Shop/U-Haul Storage Facility in a neighboring town called me. He'd been told we wanted an empty box delivered, and then he was supposed to take that box to the U-Haul location for us after we were done loading it up. Told him, no, it's our existing, half-full box that we want delivered to our house, we'll add more to it, then someone will need to come pick it up and bring it back to the U-Haul.

Around 4pm, the Auto Shop delivered our Ubox. Told us that when he came to pick it up, he'd bring it back to his location instead of U-Haul (so I don’t get a say in where I now have to go to access my own stuff?). But by then, I was long past having any confidence in the reliability of U-Haul that I decided to empty the box. I'll take my business elsewhere.

The next morning, I spoke with the Auto shop and told him he could come by any time to pick up the empty box and I wanted to terminate my contract. He said he could close out our account after he picked up the box. Later that afternoon, I missed a call from U-Haul. I called CS back, kept getting bounced around from one CS location to another (sorry this is the Indiana CS, you need Chicago. I’ll transfer you. Oh, sorry this isn’t Chicago. This is southern Illinois. I’ll transfer you. Sorry, this isn’t Chicago. I’ll transfer you…). One of the reps read me a note in my file that said the call I missed was someone trying to contact me to schedule delivery of my Ubox. Seriously? So I stopped being bounced around and just hung up. It was obviously too little too late to schedule delivery the day AFTER we'd already cleaned our box out.

Now, a few days after all that, I see a charge to my credit card of $39 for a monthly storage fee (umm… I'm not storing anything anymore), and the day after that, I was charged $75 for the box delivery and another $10 for the trailer fee that hauled the Ubox. I don't think I should have to pay $85 for a delivery that took that much run-around. And certainly shouldn’t pay for a storage unit that is no longer storing any of my stuff! CS also tried to call me again this morning, but I didn't bother to answer. Figured it was them trying to schedule delivery again. Also, when I look up my account on U-Haul’s website, it shows my next payment is due in a month, so it doesn't appear the auto shop actually closed my account like they said they would. I disputed the $124 charges and was only refunded $75.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The trouble started when I rented a truck and car dolly from U-Haul for a trip from SC to CA and the man that I rented from tried to take pictures of me bending over attaching the car dolly to the truck. If it was not for my sister's boyfriend interfering he would have succeeded. He claimed it was for “proof”. The next day the tire started sparking and we had to pull over and call U-Haul, who sent out someone who claimed it was a “quick fix” and sent us back on the road. No less than 24 hrs later the tire of the dolly caught on fire in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas with no one driving by and no fire extinguisher. Luckily someone driving by gave us their fire extinguisher to extinguish it. The fire department had to come out to finish putting out the fire. That night U-Haul put us up in a hotel because they claimed no one could come out to do an exchange, but sent someone out to come out to pick up their faulty equipment that night.

That morning they sent no one out to help us. I called multiple times trying to figure out how we were going to get a new dolly and was hung up on twice, all while the hotel owners were saying we had to leave because it was past checkout. I had to rearrange things in my car because it was not driveable, hence why it was being towed (that also caught fire) and drive it 20 minutes out to a dealer to get a new dolly. When we finally got set up with a new dolly we had been in Arkansas for over 24 hours. A full day wasted.

When I ended up getting to CA and turned the truck in the manager stated she could not help and I would have to contact who I got the truck from, and that I should be entitled to my full refund of 2k. I went back and forth for months with U-Haul to at least pay for my car to get checked out since underneath it was on fire and they wouldn’t even do that and I purchased insurance with them on the truck. The most they gave was a $50 U-Haul credit as if I would ever do business with them again. That was an insult. U-Haul risked my life, and was sexually harassed in the process. Never trust them.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Where do I begin: Took 3 hours to set up a) One way U-Haul truck from GA to Texas, B) U-Box from GA to NJ, C) Movers and Storage. And was still not right due the reservations linking to a 2015 rental I had on file. The U-Haul Movers I am still not sure if they were ever paid due to never getting confirmation email. There is no online traceability. Luckily the movers call me and I worked direct with them (they were great). They shipped the wrong U-BOX to NJ. Took three days of me calling and calling and calling and then on day three I was told they found my Box at the GA site. Who knows who's stuff is in the NJ Box? And now 5 days late and still no one can tell me when my box will be shipped and available in NJ.

The Maple Shade NJ U-HAUL people are useless. All they did was say I need to call U-HAUL. They could give 2 ** on how this mix up has ruined this move. The one way truck rental agreement that gives me 1st month free storage was not honored by the North Ridgeland TX franchise. I am there with a 26' truck and movers (I did not use U-Haul this time... Smart) and the manager Joe says I need to take up the free 1st months storage with Corporate. So I just paid the $150 anticipating I could get this honored. Again three phone calls later and I am still waiting on when/how the contract will be honored.

I have spent on average 25 minutes on hold for each time I have had to call customer service. And they NEVER have the history/always need to transfer me to the U-Box people, the move people, the franchise people... Somewhere. And today I have been on the phone for 32 minutes being bounced around which is allowing me to warn you. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE U-HAUL.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I made this account a minute ago specifically to warn people away from the embarrassing pile of ** that is U-Haul. I have never interacted with a more incompetent company in my life~ And there were three distinct interactions. In all three cases, I was helping friends move and they had booked a truck for a given date at a given time weeks and months in advance. With all three of them, U-Haul gave them a call on the day before in two cases) and the day of (in one case) to let us know that they changed our reservation against our will because in all three cases, they gave our truck to someone else. How do you ** that up once? Let alone three out of three times?

Case 1: A Rude Awakening. Upon finally getting the first truck, 4 hours late, and having to drive across town to a different location from the one we were told to pick it up from, it came to our attention that despite having paid extra for more padding blankets and rope to tie things down, U-Haul, in all their glory looked at it and evidently said to themselves "Nah. They don't need ropes or blankets, so let's not give it to them, and just as is in U-Haul fashion, we will also not tell them that there are in fact no ** blankets or rope in the truck. Hahaha, God I love screwed people over!" We then tried to call a nearby location (the original one we were supposed to get the truck from before they gave the truck away) only to be told that they couldn't give us the ropes since the truck wasn't rented from them and so we'd have to go back to the across the town location if we wanted to get them.

So instead we went to Home Depot, bought some wire, unpacked the baby blankets and began to MacGyver the ** out of everything in that four-hour-late-truck until we were confident that the box of bathroom products wasn't going to be crushed by the uncanny force of a full speed couch crashing into it with all its might. You ever try to secure a box full of glasses and plates using a Winnie the Pooh blanket and some gardening wire? I don't recommend it.

Case 2: Oops I did it again. This one starts out the exact same. Booked a truck about a month in advance, all good, all good, all good until a day before, we'll call him "Jimmy" from U-Haul gives us a call. "Hi there! So it turns out we stopped giving a ** about customer satisfaction. Additionally we started hiring only the dumbest of a dumb on a company wide dare. It was a triple dog dare, yo. That ** serious." To which our confused selves sadly accepted what they were saying and began to drive across town to a third U-Haul location where we eventually began the tireless process of leaving the property with the truck. You know, like we had agreed we would do. Unfortunately for us, when we got to the front counter, we were greeted by none other than Tommy~ Jimmy's little brother who was growing up to be just as brilliant. We paid for the rental within the first 5 minutes, as one would expect.

Sadly, Tommy somehow didn't notice us paying which resulted him requesting that we pay as we tried to explain that we did in fact already pay. This exchange took just short of two hours. If finally ended when we opened our banking app and showed that the payment had left out account 2 hours ago. It took him a moment to process this. We got back to the house but thanks to the previous rental fiasco explained on page 14, Case 1: A Rude Awakening, we ended up having two U-Haul trucks in from of the same one-lane driveway house at the same time, rather than having them staggered as the plan was originally set. We pissed off a lot of neighbours that day. If any of you are reading this, I am genuinely very sorry but I guarantee we all had a far worse day than you. To our surprise there were both blankets AND rope in this truck. Thanks Bobby, or Tommy, or whatever I named you, you really pulled through for us there.

Case 3: I Guess This Should Have been Expected By Now. Truck booked two weeks in advance, all good until day of "Hello this is U-Hoo calling, ** you. Lol." Really, I only laughed, I wasn't even phased because by this point I was a pro. I knew exactly how to get through their mistakes you just have to go along with it until they figure it out themselves and deal with their bullshit as it comes.

Unfortunately for us, this strategy did not apply here because in what I can only imagine was an effort to give us PTSD, they opted to actively make things difficult for us, rather than working with their most unreasonably loyal customers. See, the original booking was from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm. We booked the day off work, we're going to get the move done and then enjoy a nice cold beer at sunset after a long day's work. After the first two ** storms of an experience, I advised friend #3 to call U-Haul and be sure that everything was still as it was. It was not. Without notifying us they decided to arbitrarily change our truck to a van (about a third the size), and change out pick up point from near to far, and change the rental duration from 12 to 11 hours.

Oh yeah and changed the ** rental period from 9-9 to 5-4. Ready for the plot twist? This isn't 5:00 am - 4:00pm. This is 5:00 pm - 4:00 am. I ** you not, they without telling us decided to change our booking from in the middle of the day, and all day, to the evening and the middle of the night! It's mind boggling to me, really, that they thought we would just be cool with that. Who the ** needs a moving tru-- van* at 4:00 in the ** morning?! This isn't a joke by the way. This seriously happened. Everything I've written here ACTUALLY HAPPENED (the conversations were paraphrased). I swear to you this was real.

So we tried calling them to ask what happened and how they could possibly think that this was okay. After being on hold for 97 minutes listening to the same 10 second message on insta-repeat a whole 5820 times we finally got a hold of a customer service representative, who by the way I feel so bad for. I always thought being an Indian sewer cleaners was the worst job in the world (look it up. It's gross) but I was wrong. This girl we'll call "Ashley" has it worse. At least as a sewer cleaner, you can wash the shame off at the end of the day, but this poor girl has an entire company continuously ** directly on her day after day.

Our thoughts are with you, Ashley. We don't mean to get mad at you and we know it's not your fault, it's just your ** co-workers. **. Anyways. Ashley basically just told us that it happens sometimes, that the people responsible for scheduling the trucks only have partially functioning brains so we have to talk really slow and repeat ourselves or the message won't make it in and that she was sorry for the inconvenience, an utterance I'm sure she's made thousands of times before.

In conclusion: Eventually our near immeasurable patience broke and we cancelled with U-Haul altogether and are looking for another option now. We are thinking of just using about 30-40 trips on the city buses a couple boxes at a time. I'm sure some funny conversations will rise up and we can help spread the word about the unfortunate plague spreading across our great nation, called U-Haul.

Can you tell that this was a stressful day? If you can't, please note that it was a stressful day. I would like to take a moment to note that obviously not everything mentioned here is fact. There was a lot of artistic flavouring throughout, but the general experience was actually factual. All of the things mentioned here actually did happen and I'm genuinely blown away by how incompetent the company is as a whole. They single-handedly made these past couple of days an absolute nightmare and I don't want anyone else to have to experience the same pain, frustration and stress that we all had to go through on account of U-Haul. Have a nice day.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After purchasing a new Toyota Sienna in October 2017, I decided to install a hitch and the appropriate wiring. In making my decision of where to have the hitch installed, I searched on the Internet and found the following advertisement from U-Haul: U-Haul is North America’s #1 hitch installer. I felt reassured by the advertisement and proceeded to make a reservation to install the hitch and wiring at U-Haul on 12025 Parklawn Dr, Rockville, MD 20852. At that time, I was under the impression that U-Haul mechanics know what they are doing.

To be honest, the work was done quickly and on time. However, the problems with the installation became apparent after six months. On Friday, May 4, 2018, I was driving my 2017 Toyota Sienna when suddenly I saw a signal flashing on my dashboard that I had the brakes malfunction. I stopped the car, turned off the engine, and when I tried to turn the car back on, I could not move the gearbox knob. I was forced to call a tow truck, which took me to the Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg for service.

The dealership said that they found the problem and the diagnosis took three hours and a minimum two more hours were needed to fix the malfunction. According to the Toyota dealership, the wrong wires were used in the hitch installation and the wires were not connected properly. Thus, the faulty installation directly caused a fuse to blow out. The total charges for the repair were $662.50.

I paid the bill and went to U-HAUL hoping to get reimbursed for the repairs, because the repairs were necessary due to the faulty installation. When the U-Haul manager carefully studied the invoice, he agreed that the installation was not done properly, apologized for the faulty installation, but refused to reimburse me $662.50. They did refund me $310, which was what I paid for installation. They also agreed to reinstall the new wires for free. I made another appointment for the new wiring installation. No longer under the impression that the U-Haul mechanics know what they are doing, I carefully researched which wires should be installed on the Toyota Sienna 2017 prior to my appointment. The following is an excerpt from Page 223 of the owner’s manual for Sienna 2017:

"WARNING. Do not directly splice trailer light. Directly splicing trailer light may damage your vehicle's electrical system and cause a malfunction. The wires must be connected to the vehicle battery, eliminates all electrical connection with the vehicle electrical system. T-connectors C 56261 or 118648." Why U-HAUL did not know this, or care to follow the manufacturer’s explicit instructions, remains a mystery. When I came to the installation appointment, they again began to install the same (new) wires, the same incorrect way contrary to the explicit warning from Toyota. In other words, they tried to directly splice the wires to the vehicle’s electrical system, which is what caused the vehicle to break down in the first place.

I told them that such an installation is not acceptable. The manager indicated that he has no other wires and that I must buy the wires myself and that they will charge me $70 per hour labor for installation. He also indicated that even though they are willing to install the hitch using the wires supplied by me, he preferred that I find another company who will do this installation. I ask you that you investigate this matter and reimburse me the $662.50 that I paid to the Toyota dealership. I cannot and should not need to pay for U-Haul’s mistakes.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am extremely disappointed in the service provide by this company. I rented a 5X9 trailer on Monday for use on Thursday. I was told I could pick it up in Kitchener and drop it off in Gravenhurst. I get a call from the company Wednesday at 4pm, advising me that I had to pick the trailer up in Fergus which is a hour away from my location and drop it back off in Fergus. Then the lady corrected herself and said I could drop it off in Gravenhurst. I advised her that this is not what I agreed to when I made the contract. She did not care. I asked to be put through the complaint department and put on hold for an hour. With it being last minute now, there is no way I can make other arrangements.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Went to pick up a 17' U-Haul but the guy at the counter said the one we were scheduled for hadn't been returned yet. Instead he offered to give us a 15' which was the same price and worked fine. Upon returning it, they noticed a dent in the top corner cap, which we didn't make! I racked my brain thinking of anything that may have happened but know for sure we didn't cause the dent. Everywhere we parked was clear of obstruction. They said damage reports are filed every time a vehicle comes back and there was no damage report filed for this vehicle before we took it, therefore it's on us.

My boyfriend, who picked up the vehicle in the first place, did not get a walkaround of the truck to inspect it with the worker - they just gave it to him. I asked him if there was a possibility that it was missed or it just wasn't checked since they switched trucks on us at the last minute, and he said no that's unlikely. As we were talking, another worker backed a vehicle into a stop sign attached to a mobile podium, but that could've caused damage. Maybe their own workers are causing this damage! Of course, the insurance we purchased from them only covers the truck itself and not the topper. If you're going to assess things, be consistent. We haven't resolved this yet but our estimate is $86 (not bad, but it's a matter of principle). Who knows how high that will actually rise.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Local move rental truck: I guess it's too much to expect honest business practices. Due to some last-minute changes to my moving itinerary, I spoke to a couple representatives from U-Haul, yesterday (Saturday, May 19th). The changes to my moving plans meant that I was staying locally, rather than heading down to Sacramento. It was a hassle but one I could not help, unfortunately.

I called the U-Haul Interbay location to make sure that I could return the truck there. They mentioned that they could not decide that and transferred me to "traffic". I spoke the traffic representative and she confirmed that I could drop off the truck at the Interbay location. I mentioned that I wouldn't be able to arrive until after 9 pm and she said that would be okay. It turns out that Interbay has an after-hours dropoff. The representative gave me some instructions that included placing the dolly and moving pads in the cab of the truck and lock it up before I drop the key into the overnight key drop. Naturally, I followed the instructions to a note.

This morning, I started receiving calls from U-Haul, basically chastising me for dropping the truck off at Interbay, rather than Sacramento. I spoke to four more people from the U-Haul team without being able to resolve the problem. I even spoke to the folks at the Sacramento location, to let them know of the changes. Despite speaking to multiple people, I'm still being called by David, the GM at the Interbay location. However, now, mysteriously the dolly and moving pads are missing. We both know that this is a lie, however, I'm willing to give David the benefit of the doubt. Just know that I will never use U-Haul for any reason, ever again. I would expect honest business from a company like U-Haul, however, that doesn't seem to be the case. I will be submitting some reviews to the typical places, articulating my experience with U-Haul Interbay, and more specifically, David, the GM of the location. Lying, for spite, is inexcusable.

Original review: May 16, 2018

WORST experience ever! During my experience with U-Haul, three main problems came up. First of all, U-Haul never clearly stated where the pickup location was. On the date of pickup, I had to personally call U-Haul to find out where my pick-up location was. The location happened to be 25 km from my original set location. Adding an extra 25 km to my bill. On top of that, I do not have access to a vehicle, therefore meaning, I had to order a taxi to arrive on time, which also added an additional 40$ to my expense. Next, I arrived at the U-Haul. I signed all the papers and had asked if it was possible to drop off the truck at a closer drop off site. They said it was an extra charge usually over 50$ so that was not an option. Hence another 25 km was needlessly added to my bill.

Once signed and approved, I received the keys to the truck only to find that it was not the correct size. I had ordered a 10' truck so that I would have the high of the cabin to move out of my apartment. But U-Haul reserved me a simple cargo van in its place. At this point, I complained but U-Haul said they couldn't change the truck. Being in the position that I was, I had no choice but to proceed. As suspected, the truck that was given was not tall enough to hold the beds and the furniture all at once adding 2 more needless trips. Overall, I hated my experience with U-Haul since they lack communication with their customers while simultaneously taking advantage of them.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I ordered a 15' truck through the storage company. I happened to call them a couple of days in advance to ask an unrelated question and managed to find out that my pickup location was scheduled for Santa Cruz, which is up to 2 hours away with traffic. When I called, they said there is nothing they can do unless I want to cancel. I had the reservations for over a week but the dispatch apparently doesn't actually dispatch and plan vehicle loads in advance. It took me 3 hours to straighten it out, and only by cancelling the order and going for a smaller truck.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The Uhaul Corporation is involved in a very deceptive practice of forcing customers to purchase more gas than the truck initially had in it. It's very simple. The customer signs their receipt and goes over the fuel level inside the store. When they agree to bring the truck back with a customary fuel level, usually 3/4 full they also agree to pay for gas that is below that level at a markup of 50%. So when the payment is received they go outside to get the keys. Another employee who is supposed to verify the fuel level secretly marks the receipt with a line that indicated the fuel level as being higher. Since the payment was already made and the contract is signed they have to bring the truck back with that new fuel level but the company will only give credit for the level that was agreed to in the store. There will not be any refunds or credits given. They have already made it clear in the contract. This is a very tricky scam.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We placed an order for the truck from March 30th to the second. When my husband went to pick up the truck he told them that he did not need the truck that whole time and asked the lady to adjust the quote. He told her we would be dropping it off on the 1st. She told him she did not need to adjust the quote and all he had to do was tell them when he drops it off not to charge the full amount and to charge for the time we had it. He asked her if she was sure. She said, "Yes we do not charge you until you drop it off to make sure you are charged the proper amount." Well we showed up to drop it on the 31st at around 1230 or so. The lady was not there and the man outside working on trucks told him to call her. We called her. She said, "Drop the key in the box and we will process everything for you."

We were charged the full amount and from the 31st until now May 1st we have not seen an adjustment. Before coming to post any complaints I called on Friday April 27th to U-Haul the company itself. The agent we spoke with was trying to blame us and telling us that is not how it works. Well we didn't mess up. We tried to have the lady at pick up adjust it on her end. We were even asked the description of the lady which we did provide. We were promised a supervisor call back from the department that would work on this dispute and got a call yesterday telling us that they were only refunding us $80 bucks. Really? We were charged almost $600 for 4 days. Had it for 24 hours and that is what they are refunding us.

Stay far away AND BE SURE THAT IF YOU NEED TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS YOU DO NOT DO IT AFTER PICK UP AND ONLY BEFORE. Such a dishonest company. I will share this experience everywhere I can think of to make sure all potential customers are aware of the rip off scam. I will go to every site I can think of (BBB, attorney general, Ripoff Report, Consumer Advocate, etc) as well as sharing this on FB, Twitter, IG etc.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Back in August I had a receiver hitch installed on my car along with trailer light harness. Within the first month the harness shorted out, so back to them to replace it. After a few weeks all they're wiring just fell hanging below the hitch, so back again. Went back and talked to another person (manager) and he seen how it was wired a made complaints to me about, which I know. After going back a total of 5 more times to have the harness replaced time after time, they put in and plug in play (no splicing required) so we'll see how this one holds up. I ended up fixing this last harness they put on, routed the wires over and under the muffler. After the 3rd or 4th time of going back he did give me a refund of half of what I paid.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Made a reservation for a 26 foot truck at a local U-Haul, there are several near me. Two days before I’m supposed to pick the truck up they call me and tell me the closest location for the truck that I reserved is over 30 miles away. Completely unwilling to do anything about the additional mileage, never mind the time I would need when I am supposed to be moving. Moving a house is stressful enough without that added to it. I had already done the online check-in and was packing when they called. Had to scramble around to find a different moving truck rental, somewhere local so I did not have to waste 2 to 3 hours out of my day on the day I’m moving into my house to drive to a location 30 miles away or pay for mileage I didn’t need. I will never ever even consider U-Haul again. Their business practices are sketchy and they do not stand by their confirmation numbers or online reservation and check in.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Over the years I've used U-Haul many times for truck rental for moves, but I will never again! Those of you that use them are only feeding into their horrible business practices & customer service! As long as folks keep using them as much as they do, they will never change. They do not care about us, only themselves. They advertise "lowest price guarantee" but you have to fight for it! I had a 20' truck rented for an upcoming 1 way move to another state but found a MUCH better deal on Penske's site for a 26' truck for less. I cancelled my U-Haul rental & booked with Penske.

After reading online that U-Haul would "price match", I attempted it & ran into nothing but frustration! My 1st call to the Sales department w/ U-Haul taught me that the beginning zip code & ending zip code had to both hold a U-Haul location as well as a Penske location. Not an easy feat when you're moving to a small town in another state where most of everything is spread out. After the 1st call ended, at least I had this info so I could research a zip code close to my ending location that both held a Penske & U-Haul location. Thankfully, I found one. I called the Sales department back & hit a brick wall with a woman who said U-Haul did not price match anymore & even told me that she received a memo recently stating that. I asked to be transferred to a Supervisor/Manager & was placed on hold.

A pleasant woman in Customer Service picked up & was confused why I was transferred to that department. She assured me that U-Haul did price match & said her department had nothing to do with that nor was there a Supervisor/Manager there that could help me with this issue. She did apologize however for the "lie" I was told by the last Saleswoman I spoke with. She then transferred me back to Sales where I then was connected to the 3rd woman I spoke. At this point, I was very frustrated & on the phone for over 45 minutes trying to get a "simple" price match. The woman who answered was short with me but listened to what I was asking for. Without saying a word to me, she placed me on hold for over 20 minutes, never once coming back to let me know she was working on my request. All I could think was how I was not going to hang up, regardless of how long I was on hold.

When she finally got back on the line, she said hello which I responded to several times as she said nothing else & then I was hung up on! Wow, really!!?? At this point, I had spent well over an hour trying to get a simple price match! I called back & was pleased to be connected with someone who sounded like she knew what she was doing. She apologized & after checking Penske's rate, told me she could price match it. I gave her my CC info to reserve the truck rental & thought everything was taken care of. Logging into my U-Haul account I was shocked to see that the price was not matched, it was the same high $650+ that their website showed, while Penske was $512. See why I wanted the price match???

At that point I refused to call Sales back & fight for what I should have been given from the 1st call! I sent an email through their website & hoped for the best. The next business day I received a voicemail from some woman who said she was calling about the issue I sent them. She went on to say that the errors caused were due to new employees not knowing the proper procedures to follow when price matching is requested. I might have bought that "story" if I had not the same issue time & time again with each Saleswoman I spoke with! While she offered me the price match & said to call Reservations as a note was placed on my account for the price match to be done, I refuse to use U-Haul ever again. I don't care if I have to pay more with another company. These folks have nothing but excuses & obviously could care less about anything but their bottom line!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I rented a trailer so that I could move boxes to my new home. I received a confirmation email, had my credit card on reserve - the whole thing confirmed. When we went to pick up the trailer at the Kasold location in Lawrence, KS, we got a female employee who could not even log into the computer system. She stated she wanted a phone confirmation from someone we knew. What? We have rented three trucks and two trailers in the last 6 months. Now they want a confirmation from someone in my phone contacts. What good would that do? She said she wanted to make sure we brought the trailer back.

So now I am insulted. Why would I steal a trailer and what good would it do U-Haul to ask someone in my phone contacts about me? I walked out and called the district office. They had no idea why this woman would ask such a thing. Nice - I am ready to move and no trailer. This company is a joke. Don't use them. Their reliability and customer service is terrible.

Original review: April 18, 2018

To all who might want to read my past week experience with U-Haul. I make a reservation with U-Haul and discuss the details and I'm given an amount for a one way move from California to Phoenix, Arizona, in a 15ft. truck of $594, plus insurance $42, additional fees of $12, $10 and $10, which equals $668 total. This is agreed and my pick up is in Moreno Valley on Sunnymead Blvd on April 8th, 2018. I also get the rental truck for 3 days that until April 11th, 2018. I travel to Moreno Valley from Arizona to pick up the truck on the April 8th in Moreno Valley, Sunnymead location and I'm told it's no longer there and the pick up has moved to another location in Moreno Valley, someone should have called me, which I said didn't receive a call or email of this change. So I get to the new pick up point and now told the new total is $711, which no includes taxes and pick up fees.

We get to our destination in Phoenix, Arizona and find out the new place won't be ready for move-in until possibly the following week. Now what do we do with rental truck? So we now jump to April 10th, 2018, and decide to get a storage unit for the appliances and we unload a 3rd of the stuff in the U-Haul. I then call U-Haul to discuss our situation about needing the rental truck longer and how much extra would it cost. I speak to a gentleman from customer service and explain the details and if there is any U-Haul might be able to help us out? He looks over my account and says, "It might be possible for you to get a in state local rate for $29.95, per day" but I would need to take the rental truck into the drop off address (2701 W. Dunlap Ave., Phoenix, Az. 85051) and confirm with whomever is working there this day before they close.

The customer service representative says he will put notes in the system so that our discussion will be there for the worker to read at the my drop of location and anybody who might need to refer to our conversation. I say thank you for his help and that I'll head over there immediately. I arrive at the drop off U-Haul destination and speak to the general manager of the store. He at first says there's no way I can keep the rental truck the extra days because he doesn't allow me to finish my explaining that it's a one-way rental.

Once he hears that it's a one-way rental he then says, "Ohhh in that case yes you can keep the rental" for however many days I may need it. So I ask him what the charge would be per day and he says $42 plus insurance per day. I said, "I spoke with your customer service member and he said you might be able to help me out with a in state rate because I brought in the rental truck as a temporary turn in". He then reads the notes and says. "ok let see what can be done". He prints out a part of my contract and says the in state rate plus insurance would be $29.95, plus $12 for insurance, total $42, per day. I said thank you and go talk it over with my family member who has witnessed this conversation that general manager of the store has agreed that it would be $42, per day extra.

April 11th, 2018, the new place calls and says we can move in our new stuff on Friday, April 13th, 2018, which is great news. The next day I call U-Haul and explain I'll only be needing the rental truck until the 13th, no later than 11 pm. The customer representative confirms with me that it'll be two day extra charge at $42, per day plus extra if the gas is low. I said I'm calling to make sure that this is the correct amount per day and what I will owe on Friday, April 13th? She (customer service representative) says yes that is the correct amount owed and I have put the notes into the system. I say, "Thank you for your help" and hang up.

I return the rental truck on Friday, April 13th at 7:55 pm with a little over a quarter full of gas which is how it was given to me. I see the general manager working after hours and he says to me "just leave the keys in the truck". He'll process it. I say back to, "Ok sounds good" and I take off and my journey is finally over, not so. The next day Saturday, April 14th, I check my checking account balance. I see that U-Haul charged me $177 and not the $84 that was agreed upon. I immediately call U-Haul and speak to a lady from the after hours customer service line and she says that I was charged an extra day because I did not return the rental truck at 10:30 am.

I was also charge $42 plus insurance and out of state fees, lastly $6 for gas. I said that's completely wrong and go on to explain what I had confirmed with two people from U-Haul and the general manager of the drop off site. She then says, "You need to speak with customer service" and before I can say anything she transfers me. Now I'm put on hold for around 20 minutes before speaking to someone else from customer service. A gentleman takes my call from customer service and I go on to explain the whole ordeal in detail as to what was agreed upon and how I'm really upset with U-Haul and its business process with its customers.

He listen to everything I say and says he'll need to type up my complaint and send to the regional. He gets back on the line with me and says, "I forward to the general manager of the store you dropped it off with". I said, "What good will that do. He's the one the made the agreement with me and also changed it, that's why I'm speaking to you". I need to speak with someone who is his boss because more than likely he'll uphold his decision. I said are all the notes in your system that rely document my confirmation back on Thursday and what was agreed upon? He says yes and that I shouldn't have been charged an extra day or the extra fees. I then ask for the number to corporate and to email to me. He does and before I hang up I say to him, "I'm not upset with you personally but with U-Haul and its business practices and how they treat their customers".

I get a call from the store general manager the next day Sunday, April 15th, 2018. We exchange pleasantries and then he starts with, "Your per day fee is $42, which includes out of state fees, plus insurance and one three extra days". I say to him, "We spoke you and I and you confirmed with me that my per day amount would be $29.95, plus insurance of $12 which would be $42 per day, did you not say this to me?" "Sir if you would refer to your contract it show a $42 per day fee and out of state fees and insurance." I said "Why did you say refer to my contract when I spoke to you directly face to face and you printed a part of my contract to me and showed me it was $29.95, plus $12 for insurance." He immediately jumps in and says, "I knew there was something wrong and fishy with your contract and no it's $42 per day plus insurance, out of state fees and gas."

I said, "That's not what we agreed with and no what the printed document you gave me state in state local rate." And before I could finish my statement he jumps back in and says, "Sir look at your contract. It says it right there". I say, "Why to do you keep telling me to refer to my contract when you and I spoke and your printed out my contract and showed me. It said $29.95 plus $12 for insurance which is $42 per day". "No that's not right. You need to look at your contract and stop interrupting me". Now I'm beyond upset with the general manager of the store. Told me to my face and made an agreement of price and now going back on his wording and to look at my contract. I say to him in anger, "Don't talk me this way in I'm the customer" and he hangs up on me!

So everybody, you've read the story and I would like to get your opinion because anybody who knows me, knows I don't seek out any harm or revenge towards anybody but this situation truly upset me and the fact the general manager lied to me. He couldn't read his own contract to convey the correct amounts and then goes back on his word.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Worst experience I have ever had with a company. To begin with I booked online however the day before we moved they call us to tell us that booking online doesn’t really mean anything... So why have that option?? So anyway this meant we had to downsize to a van which was fine, whatever. So we get there at 830 am which is the time we booked it for. We waited there for almost two hours because the van wasn’t even at the location!!! When we called Claire told us they were delivering the van to us and will be there shortly. However it never showed and we ended up having to drive all the way to the other side of town to get the ** van. Ok so when we get there we grab the key from the safe and get into the car... It’s the wrong key.

After having to go in and deal with the representative we finally had the right key. So after talking to Claire she told us she would refund $50 because of our experience. A week later no refund. I message an employee on the U-Haul chat and Melody told me we would not get a refund. I’ll never use U-Haul again and I will make sure everyone knows not to as well. Terrible customer service and I am beyond angry. Worst company to ever do business with.

U-Haul Company Information

www.uhaul.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business