2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

U-Haul has failed to refund my money after over charging me $250. I was forced to wait 5 business days before they would action the incorrect refund. Now it has been 15 business days and I was just told that my refund is still not processed. I asked to speak to a manager and it was deflected with no option to look after it. I will pay more in the future to avoid this company at all costs!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I was stuck on the side of the highway, at night, for 6 hours with no Uhaul help. I called every 30 minutes and spoke with multiple customer service reps who claimed they were sending a mechanic out (we overheated and blew a line causing the truck to have no coolant). After the first hour, with no call back, we continued to call. After hour two with no call back, we were told that they were going to send a tow truck. After hour three, the truck was dispatched but didn't come for another 3 hours. Not only was the truck from over 1.5 hours away, but it was not equipped with the tools to remove the drive shaft from the truck, thus, making the tow longer.

What should have been a 2 hour trip back turned into a 9 hour, 25 degree, rainy, dark nightmare. The only positives of the night were the few managers who claimed we would get the full uhaul refund, Lyft refund (they towed us to our destination to unload but then left us there with no ride), gas refund, and refund for the time as we were late on the delivery.

After three weeks of calling customer service to check in on my customer action claim, I have yet to get one call back. I received one nasty email claiming that their help was adequate in the situation and that was it. Since the case, we have received money back for the Lyft and the uhaul, but they refuse to refund the gas (a lot in a 26 ft truck) or our time. Our case has since been escalated to a Marketing President but we have yet to hear back despite my weekly calls to customer service. All in all, good luck hearing back from this company whether you are stranded on the side of the road or trying to just speak with a manager or president about the case. All I want is a firm answer but have yet to get one. Do. Not. Rent. Uhaul.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My husband and I reserved a 4x8 trailer online several weeks ago from a location in Hudson, Wisconsin. When he arrived to pick it up today, he was told they had upgraded him to a larger size. Now this might seem nice of them, but not when you only have two or three smaller items to transport and the size of the larger trailer puts a strain on your vehicle. (We are now at the highest tow rating for our vehicle.) There were other 4x8 trailers on the lot at the time and after inquiring my husband was told those were spoken for. We explained that we were traveling long distance and were going to have to navigate mountain passes and could we not have the smaller one like we had reserved in the first place. They refused.

I complained to Customer Service. Twice. They connected me to the scheduling office who promptly told me that none were available in a 59 mile radius of where we live. I again explained that there were several on the lot where we received the trailer. I was told, "Sorry, those were not available." UHAUL has not tried to lift a finger to rectify this and what could be a dangerous situation. If there was going to be a shortage or if they were not going to be able to deliver on their reservation, then they need to give their customers a heads up to give them time to make other arrangements. UHAUL has not given us this option. A couple years back, the company's CEO gave out his cell number saying he wanted to hear from his customers. Well, I called, texted and emailed and still have not heard back. I do not recommend using this company for anything. It will certainly be the last time I do. I would give them no stars if that was an option.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I had a bedbug infestation after using a U Haul truck and a certified exterminated determined that the infestation came from the moving truck. I filed a claim with the insurance company that I took out when I rented the truck and it was denied. The cost of the exterminator and having to wash and bag all of our belongings was $1000.00+. The attitude that u haul took regarding this issue was “not our problem”. Do not rent from u haul unless you want to deal the the added cost, the time to clean and remove your belongings from your home and the worry of having bugs in your bed.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

The vehicle ran well, but that was the only good part of my experience with U-Haul. I was told I could pick up and drop off my vehicle during off-hours, "using our app!" Well, the app is non-functional. I arrived early on a COLD winter morning, before the location opened, but the app said I had no reservations. Same with the regular website, although I had a confirmation email clearly showing my reservation time. I waited on hold for the "24/7" customer service, which NEVER picked up after 30 minutes. I had to start my trip 2 hours late, after the location had opened. Same experience dropping the vehicle off -- I had to wait until they opened the next morning, which made me late for work. Manager at the location would take no responsibility and would not offer me anything to make up for the inconvenience. He only said, lamely, "that system is new and has a lot of glitches." Not even, "We're sorry about that." If you have any other option, avoid U-Haul.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Horrible racist, wouldn't rent a truck to me as the wife said I needed additional verification outside what was stated on the website and meanwhile a white guy with just one verification came in, they left me and attended to him even after I offered to give them my SUV as collateral outside 2 identification cards.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

U-Haul has no communication within its own company, to the point where the rental station we were to drop off the truck and get the car detached from apparently isn't open on weekends... And we only JUST NOW got that information when we're two days into our trip. So not only do they have no idea what they're doing, but they can't even uphold the agreements they make. If you need to move, seek out a different company. I definitely will from now on.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Let me start by saying I will never use Uhaul again after the last experience. I even told one of the location managers that, and he actually lied to me about a competitor's rates to dodge the issue. We left the pickup location with tires underinflated by 30psi and what we were later told was a bad alignment. At the time we contacted Uhaul, I specifically asked to exchange the rental for a different one. I even offered to drive it back to a rental location.

They refused, saying that most locations don't have the ability to inspect the vehicle and approve the exchange. So, according to Uhaul, they are not capable of maintaining their fleet. Instead, what they are doing is waiting until a customer notices an issue, and then trying to fix it while the customer is stranded on the side of the road, so then Uhaul is getting paid for the down-time as well as the rental. What's worse is they do not have mechanics doing the work. They send tow truck drivers out to "inspect" and "repair" the vehicles on the side of the road.

Roadside assistance is fine for issues that it should be used for. A bad alignment is not one of those issues, and telling the customer that 90% of cars on the road handle like the vehicle they are driving, which we were told by 2 different Uhaul employees, is not a repair, and it certainly is not a correct or safe thing to do. The van handled badly at highway speeds when empty, and once it was loaded it was a constant struggle to drive. It was so bad that after driving it for around 1500 miles, I had to relearn steering my personal vehicle. The van, in its state at the time of pickup, should not have been rented. I should not have been told to keep driving it, and I vocalized that multiple times to around 6 different people in person and on the phone.

Each interaction with Uhaul staff was similar. They would cite policy that they don't do exchanges of rental equipment. They couldn't unless it was from their lot, and they would downplay the issue and/or deny there was an issue, and then of course, refuse to exchange the rental. In the end I contacted Uhaul for a refund, because they offered nothing for the 4 hours of time they caused us to waste and of course nothing for the refusal to exchange the vehicle as they decided there was no need to. They refunded $80.00 of a $745.00 charge. Not acceptable, and when I disputed the rest of the charge, Uhaul used the fact I "accepted" the service (I obviously did not) as reason I was not entitled to a refund. In short, the staff will lie to you and dodge or flat out deny issues, and upper management will not care that it is happening. Use some other company. Uhaul is trash.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I reserved a truck for Omaha Nebraska. Was supposed to leave at 8:00 in the morning. I got a call at 8:00 a.m. letting me know my truck was not available. We had a drive to Iowa to get the truck. Made it from Iowa to Omaha while in Omaha when we realized there a different U-Haul. Had our credit card info and had double charged our card overdrawing our bank account. When I contacted U-Haul they seem like they could care less that they just left me in my family stranded 50 miles from town. I had to call a family member and have them drive from Lincoln Nebraska to Omaha Nebraska to bring me cash because of U-haul's mistake. I went and I confronted Mike about it at U-haul. He threatened me telling me I'd never be able to use U-Haul again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

After using UHaul, I wanted to be nice to Uhaul. So, I filled the gas more than I was told (filled full tank) though I was told to fill half and Cleaned the truck before I returned the truck. But I felt a very bad experience with Uhaul at the end. I was charged $ 21.40 as an after-hours service fee. I didn't see this fee written in the contract while renting the truck. I had rented a Budget truck before and never get changed any fees other than they mentioned upfront. Normally, most of the rental companies don't charge fees for after-hours drop off or for key drop-off. In conclusion, I will never use Uhaul in my life and never recommend my friends and family to use Uhaul. $21.40 is not a big amount for me and Uhaul, but Uhaul gives me a very bad experience.

U-Haul Company Information