3.37/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I am currently awaiting my U-Box delivery that was "guaranteed" yesterday (their words). I called multiple numbers this morning in an attempt to locate my belongings as no one from U-Haul has contacted me. My 2 U-Boxes supposedly left Oregon on the 2nd and were to be in Florida on the 6th. After about 2 hours of phone calling I spoke to John ** who assured me he found find my boxes (yes, NO ONE knew where they were???). After over 6 hours of waiting, I called him TO GET INFORMATION. He says they will arrive on the 10th!!!! So.... 4 days late of a 4 day trip? AND NO ONE EVER CONTACTED ME??? How can this be? I had multiple questions and with each one all he said was "They will be here Thursday". He kept repeating that and never answered any of my questions. When I asked for his supervisors number he told me he didn't have one. When I asked again HE HUNG UP ON ME!!! Lovely man.

So here I sit, with NOTHING. No furniture, NOTHING. And no idea when my boxes will arrive. I called the 800 number to file a complaint and was told a manager would call me. Hours ago. And still. NOTHING. Never have I experienced such a lack of customer service or even simple human decency. If you want a "pod-type" moving experience, go with Pods! Lesson learned.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

It was cheaper for me to BUY a retired UHual truck from the company, than it was to RENT one for the same period of time. $2900 to rent, $2700 to buy. Yes, I bought the truck. They do have the best sizes, a lot of availability around the country, the ability to return any location, but it’s too expensive. Even though I own my own truck now, it will be more economical to have my belongings moved instead of me moving myself.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

For the fourth time, using the telephone service to reserve a truck failed us. The truck was not at the location at the time it was supposed to be and the people there had no idea who we were. They didn't even try to help us resolve the issue. We had to find a local place ourselves to get a truck. The truck is advertised as fifteen feet. If you read the fine print it says the length is fourteen and a half feet. If you measure the truck's floor it is barely twelve feet. The tiny shelf on top above the cabin is what they're calling fourteen and a half feet. You're not only lied to twice about the dimensions, they're the truck's outside dimensions, not the interior floor space where you load your belongings.

If you were to go by their advertised dimension of fifteen feet when you pack your home, you wouldn't even be close to fitting everything into the truck you pay for. In the end it took us three and a half hours to find a truck by ourselves that we reserved in advance and it was one hundred percent misrepresented. We will never use uhaul again.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Reserved a car hauler a week in advance. Drove 600 miles to pick up the car and hauler. Just before pick up time I got a call. The location was moved 100 miles away. By the time I got they they had rented it to another party. Even though they had 2 sitting in the lot they said "Sorry, We canceled your order." Had to spend the night in a motel and make another reservation for the next day. Ended up getting one from a dealer close to where I had originally selected. I have crossed U-Haul off my list!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Signed up for the online pick up and took over an hour because the company messed up and sent me to a location that was closed. Had to call corporate so they could find me another truck. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I like UHaul options and low cost priorities, how they provide moving options that can be bought in store, however I dislike that you have to have a "credit" card, and that they will not allow you to pay with cash or a debit card.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Took 4 hours online and on the phone to make reservation for 26' truck for 10 am pickup. Place we were supposed to pick up truck is closed permanently. U-Haul sent us to another location that never carried 26' trucks. U-Haul called another location 30 miles away. When we arrived there the man told us he had a 26' truck pulled aside for us, give him a few minutes to take care of the people in front of us and he would be happy to help us. 1 1/2 hour later we find out he gave the truck to the people in front of us. We had to settle for a 20' truck that we did not get until after 2 pm.

The pickup time was not changed on the contract so the truck was due back the next day at 10 am. The pickup debacle cost us an extra 5 hours for movers and gas for an extra 60 miles. The small truck did not allow us to move everything and we were still moving past midnight. The drop off was not as painful but they had us drive the truck 20 miles past 2 other U-Haul locations and then had the audacity to charge us for 1 extra mile on the truck.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I rent a U-HAUL - there are always "day workers" near by- they are great- have never had a problem! No theft, no damage - no "attitude". I pay them above minimum wage and buy them lunch. The ones without a green card usually do it for free -.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Reserved a 20 ft. Moving truck in advance. Guaranteed it would be there. The day of the move NO TRUCK. Couldn't find one anywhere. I needed a truck, like NOW. Last minute had to go with a different company who was able to help me. NEVER USE U-HAUL. NOT RELIABLE AT ALL. UNTRUSTWORTHY. RUN. DON'T WALK. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Reserved a 26’ truck a month before my move. Got a reservation update the day before pick-up and the order was changed to 20’ truck at a location one hour away. Called Budget Truck Rental and they delivered. U-Haul made an already stressful situation more stressful.

U-Haul Company Information