2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5
Based on 1,638 ratings submitted in the last year

Quick and easy

Get matched with a Moving partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Quick and easy

Get matched with a Moving partner

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I've never been treated so poorly by a business ever. It's probably fair to say we've all experienced some awful customer service at some point, but this experience tops it for me. Upon entering the store, I was immediately told, "You need to put your mask on." I was not asked nicely, I was told in a rude tone. I said that I can't wear a mask. I was told by the employee that I would need to leave and they can't do anything for me. I said that my religious beliefs and health prevented me from wearing a mask. He said he didn't care, and that I would have to leave or he was going to call the police. I told him, "Well, go ahead and call them if you want to but I'm not doing anything wrong as in the governor's order it does list exemptions and isn't a one size fits all deal." He didn't respond and instead got on his cell phone and called someone who was hostile and combative on the telephone, and identified himself as some type of manager.

He said extremely rudely that he doesn't care about my rights, I can sue him if I want to, and that I either wear a mask or get the hell off the property. He further added that he doesn't care if I spend my money there and that I could go to Penske or Budget instead, if I don't like it. I obliged, and said I wouldn't spend my money at a place that treats other human beings in this manner. All the while that this was going on, the employee who demanded I put a mask on was standing about 3 feet away from me with his hot headed manager on the speakerphone. So much for 6 feet apart for being so afraid of a virus. I called the U-Haul 800 number, and said I wanted to make a complaint about the manner in which I was spoken to and treated in general. They told me that I would receive a call within 72 hours from the general manager. Well it's now beyond 72 hours later, so I went to the Uhaul website and chatted with a customer service agent.

They advised that the case had been closed out by the manager, and that they could reopen it if I wanted. I said that I would like it reopened, but have no interest in speaking to the same hothead that was on the speakerphone on 12/19/2020 as it will get nowhere considering the complaint involves the way he treated me. Just so anyone reading this knows this is a legit review, the reference number Uhaul gave me reference the complaint is **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I don't leave reviews but I am furious with U-haul Company!! This is the 5th time they have done this since 2018 and I draw a line this time!! It has been always same bad service and it's nothing to do with Covid-19 situation! I made a one way reservation with the Guaranteed availability or get $50 refund which I didn't get. On the day of pick up, I went online to check in and noticed that the pick up address changed to Laurel MD. Location!!?? WHAT kind of Guarantee was that?? La Plata, MD and Laurel, MD is ONE HOUR + driving difference. TIME AND MONEY we have to spend for their convenience!! U-Haul Company SUCKS in scheduling and customer service!!

Maybe they are some good reviews because of same location pick up and delivery BUT their one way service is a HASSLE to go through! They just change their pick up location as they pleased at last minutes. They send you an email late night after hours, which you might not see and called it an excuse that they did inform you of the change which is too late to change our plans for the next day at that time anyway. They don't call you in early morning a day before to try to let you know or give you alternatives so you can schedule your day accordingly!

Previous time was the same thing, We went along and went to the location they changed it to and when we arrived at the new location where they sent us off to pick up, they said, "NO SORRY we don't have the truck," and sent us to a different location and they also sent us to a different location from there and after 3 location and FOUR HOURS we got a Truck. Can you believe that!! What company does that and stay in business for this long?? If it was one time, two times, you could say it's okay, it happens but ALL the time, IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE. I will leave a review everywhere I can so dear customers know what kind of company they are dealing with and watch for disappointments.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I moved from CA to MD. It was a small move, just about 250 cu.ft. I wasn't sure if I would need one U-Box or two. The representative said... "No problem! Just order two boxes, we'll only charge you for the one you use." U-Haul does not deliver to my new address. They partner with MovingHelp.com for the final leg of the move. MovingHelp.com farms out their contracts to unscrupulous businesses they don't vet.

U-Haul failed to update the order to reflect the fact that I only used one U-Box. MovingHelp.com failed to realize or admit they only received one box. The crook from "SafeCare Moving" that knew there was only one box, but accepted payment by MovingHelp.com for 2 boxes didn't update the order to reflect the change. U-Haul points the finger of blame at MovingHelp.com. MovingHelp.com points the finger of blame at Blaine ** of SafeCare Moving, and round and round they go. Nobody taking any responsibility for the extra $400.00 charge I was billed. Do yourself a huge favor. Do not use these people for your move. Do not give them your credit card number.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

U-Haul can take the reservation, but seems to have issues holding the reservation. The biggest problem is their customer service, I actually spoke with a number of representatives who were incoherent, now that being said I was lucky that I did get a few others who managed to address my issues (Dylan and I do need to note, Rob on Long Island was spectacular) - I think we all expect and hope our customer service agents are efficient, professional and knowledgeable. In the end the product was good, but I did age quite a bit as they called the day before my move to inform me they had no truck for me (even though I had reserved it 3 weeks earlier), we had workers scheduled, we had driven out of state for the move.. If they can improve their customer service (employ personnel that care and can help) and reliability of reservations, I could increase the rating.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

They refused credit. They promised for early trailer return. The pickup dealer promised and the drop off dealer promised but U-Haul mail office would not honor the credit that was to be given to me. You should always rent for the minimum time needed. I'm sure they will just bill you for the extra if needed more. Safer to do it that way.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Extreme Rate Increase SCAM - BEWARE!! Obtained a quote and made a reservation in the store for a 20' truck and auto transporter about a month in advance of our move date. A week later I returned to the store to look inside the different trucks, then modified my reservation to a 26' truck. I had to request and insist on a new written quote for the larger truck. A couple of days prior to my move I checked my reservation via my online account page and noticed the quoted price had increased by $845.00 with no explanation and no details listed on the reservation. The reservation showed us renting the truck for 17 days. I had booked the truck for 8 days. That was certainly an error.

I called to correct the erroneous time frame, thinking that would also correct the price hike. The reservations agent corrected the time frame, but that correction did not change the price. I was told that the extra days were given for "free" so the change in price wasn't because of the additional days, but he could not or would not tell me what the increased price was for. After several more phone calls and one very unproductive online live chat session, (the agent in the chat session ended the session while I was typing a question) I was eventually told by another agent that a few days before my call, there was a rate increase added to my reservation.

I had a friend log into U-Haul's website and request a quote with my exact details and dates, the prices on the website were the same as we were quoted 3 weeks prior. It appeared the "rate increase" was just for my reservation. The last agent that I spoke with had no explanation for the increased rate and suggested I contact the "regional office" and request they honor their original quoted rates, which were printed out for me at the store. Fortunately, we were able to rent a similar truck and trailer from Budget Truck Rental for $1100.00 less than U-Haul had intended to charge us. I cancelled the U-Haul reservation, we will not be patronizing any U-Haul businesses ever again. Had we not checked the reservation before moving day we wouldn't have been aware of the "rate increases" until we picked up the truck, it would have been too late to make other arrangements at that point. Scandalous!! Zero stars for U-Haul.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I contacted Uhaul 11/16/17, and reserved 2 UPods to be delivered to my house the following day. She said someone would call me before delivery to explain how to load the pods I waited until well after noon the next day waiting for my pods to be delivered. When I didn’t receive the call I was expected to receive I called Uhaul back and talked to a very helpful employee, Trish. She connected me to Sara, who I believe took my original reservation. She told me I said I would be picking up, which I did not.

Lousy experience all the way around, except for Trish. The only person who tried to provide good customer service. I read the other reviews on this site saying how messed up the UPod service is. If I had read reviews beforehand I would have never attempted wasting my time with Uhaul’s UPod service. I found a full service moving company with excellent reviews which will cost just a couple hundred $ more for full service for my 200 mile move. I haul never again!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We are devastated. We rented a 15 foot truck to move our fish tanks and fish and and keepsakes before the big move. Our truck was stolen and U-Haul is billing us even though we bought their coverage!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

DO NOT USE THE U-HAUL UPOD SERVICE. There is absolutely no communication from Uhaul’s end on when they are picking up the POD, where they are dropping it off, or when they are dropping it off. It is the most disorganized service. On the front end of my move, I spent hours going to the store/calling Uhaul to ensure that they were coming to get my POD. It was less than 24 hours before my move and Uhaul “could not confirm that I had a delivery time the next day,” which is when I needed to move out…. even though I had gone into a Uhaul location to move the reservation. At that point, I was skeptical that they would deliver it to the right place (since there seemed to be no organization), so I had them repeat back to me (and enter into the case notes) exactly where the POD needed to be dropped off at my address in Illinois.

Somehow, they still managed to send my POD to a Uhaul location that wasn’t “the correct drop off district for my address” Even though I gave Uhaul the correct address, they told me that they didn’t have any drivers to come and deliver the POD to me since it was not “in their district.” I wish I was kidding when I say I spent a week actively calling Uhaul customer service, trying to find someone who would help me because the location of the store that had my Uhaul POD in Alsip, IL did not care. I finally found a manager at their corporate office in Phoenix named Nathan who helped me get my POD a week late, but Uhaul still refuses to fairly compensate me for the move that I had to take a week off of work to coordinate and orchestrate.

I am currently filing my 3rd complaint (I’m still unclear where the last 2 complaints went, but I haven’t heard back). I will update this post to let you know if there is anyone at Uhaul who cares about customer service. That said, I have moved 10+ times in my life, and this was the worst experience I have ever had. I 100% do not recommend this service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I made a reservation for a 20' truck for a move with a confirmed reservation by email. On day of pickup while driving to the location to pickup, logged on for online pickup and noticed my order was cancelled without any call or notification. At location was initially told it was because I was not on-time to pickup vehicle and after pushing back that my order said nothing about being exactly on time to pickup and also had not received any call from them, was then was told the truth that it was because the vehicle had not been returned, they were overcommitted. Requested another vehicle of different size since I had people waiting to help move and was told there was no other option and they could not help me at all for the entire day. Thankfully for another client who was present and arranged to transfer his vehicle only to me when he returned it a few hours later. Warning to those who are counting on their reservations.

U-Haul Company Information