Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote
1.13/5

Compare Movers

Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote

949 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My mom rented one of the U-Haul storage and I guess she was late on it. My mom ask my husband and me to go grab some of her stuff at the storage. When we got at the storage an old man came out of his car and talk to us. He said "You two need to pay before we put a lock to it." Calling us delinquent! He stare at us for few second then left back to his car. We didn't know she was late on it on till we told her what happened when we got back. What a rude **. Employee shouldn't treat customer like that. Smh. We did try to explain to that dude but he didn't care or listen. Recommend not to try U-Haul!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Before Christmas, I rented 9 feet van from 3630 College Point Blvd location in New York. I returned it after 8 pm, and left it on U-Haul court. They charged me then extra $60. When I asked why, they said because I spilled out some white substance, so they needed to remove the mat to wash it. (They have 2 prices for cleaning - $30 for light, and $60 for heavy). However, I carried out only furniture, mirrors and Christmas tree. There was nothing in the van that could be spilled or crumbled. They sent me a picture, that showed white spots on the mat. The vehicle plates were covered, so I could not see them to identify the car. I do not know if those were truly spots, or just flash light reflection while they made the pictures. I am confirmed that there is a criminal group of people that is doing that to get more money.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I paid 416.79 on Wednesday, January 9 to Fort Walton U-Haul - 631 N Beal Pwy - to install a trailer hitch on my vehicle and electrical wiring compatible for trailer I was to purchase and pick up on Friday. I drove 400 miles to pick up the trailer from the seller. Upon arriving, although the seller's vehicle pulling the trailer confirmed that the trailer lights worked, they failed to operate on the installation I had performed by Fort Walton two days previous. Therefore, it couldn't haul the trailer; it being illegal to haul without brake and turn signal lights.

I was forced to hire a freelance U-Haul road service representative, as there were no facilities within 100 miles round trip that could service the vehicle. He charged me $100 cash per hour to fix the incompetent job performed by Fort Walton U-Haul. I was out not only $416.79 paid for a job not done correctly, but to add insult to injury, the manager April failed to even return my handful of calls over a couple days to resolve the matter. Not even the courtesy to return my calls, offer to resolve or fix the problem or provide me a refund for their failed service. I even called the regional manager, Chad, but consistent with his subordinate's lack of response, also failed to return my call. Bottomline, is I definitely would NOT recommend this particular U-Haul facility. And if given this as an example of their lack of customer service, would not frequent U-Haul ever again for any of my needs.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

They charged me 196.00 which it should of been but then they charged me another 120.00 on my card, so I called them and they said they mistakingly charged me the wrong mileage, so they credited my card 120.00 but then mistakingly gave back the original payment also. A week later they charge me the original 196.00 plus a 30.00 late fee, so I called them. They said they screwed up and once again reimbursed my card 30.00. Their billing department is not great at all. Watch your charges after. Always check, my credit card was bouncing all over.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We will be moving cross country in 11 days. We purchased 70% of our moving boxes a month ago from U-Haul, shipped free. Took a while but we had the time. We planned to pick up the rest of our boxes today directly from U-Haul stores in NYC. Yesterday evening we went online, selected the boxes we needed, were directed to the store that had the boxes in inventory, and we placed our order with a credit card and selected pickup time today. Confirmation was received. We called the store this morning and 80% of the order was actually not available and wouldn't be for at least a week to 10 days. We called customer service and was redirected to Buyer's Club. We called Buyer's Club and they were closed today. We called U-Haul again and was told to call ALL the U-Haul stores in NYC and get our boxes that way.

We were on the landline and cell phone and laptop for nearly two hours sorting it out. In the meantime our incomplete order WAS charged in full to our credit card. The website misleads the consumer by promising store pickup and listing inaccurate inventories of individual stores. We considered having the boxes shipped to us but the only choices were free shipping which is 5-10 business days or immediate shipping between 2-3 business days. That would have cost over $140.00 for an order of appx. $100.00. This moving/shipping company abuses shipping costs too. Buyer beware. Egregious business practices. A brand in name only literally. There's nobody behind this company. Nobody's home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I'm trying to defray the cost of professional movers by moving breakable and small items myself from Iowa to Denver. I rented a 26' truck from U-Haul. When I arrived to get it, was told they gave it to someone else and I couldn't have a truck till the next day. Finally found one an hour's drive away if I got it myself. Delayed our whole start by half a day, which on an 11 hour drive makes a big difference. Round 2. Now I want a small trailer. All set, easy, right? U-Haul has lots of trailers on the website. Instead of getting the trailer someplace in my city the trailer became available in DesMoines... 3 hours away. I complained and they found another an hours drive away. But now I add 2 hours of trailer driving to a day I wanted to pack the trailer. If you are hoping to have a planned organized move... DON'T use U-Haul. They're not reliable.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Back in May 2018 my ex wife needed to rent a U-Haul truck to return to Tucson Arizona from Sparta Michigan. She didn't have the money to do it so she asked me. I send her money for the rental of a moving truck 16 footer. When she had left Tucson six months before it cost $1,200 for the rental. 6 months later it was 1800 dollars. I think ridiculous at that price. The truck they gave her leaked badly from the roof. They ran across a few rainstorms on the way 2 Tucson. The transmission kept slipping on them. I think for that reason more gas was needed to make the trip.

When they got to Tucson we discovered most of their possessions were soaked. When we took the truck back to the U-Haul at South Six Avenue and Ajo Way here in Tucson they inspected the truck told us the roof was leaking really bad. So we file a complaint to the insurance company. They got back to us finally last week. They closed the case, wouldn't pay a cent for damages. This is a multibillion-dollar company and they can't afford to pay for damages? Don't run from these people. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Had a hitch installed here in July of this year by John the manager. I remember as he was checking me in he said he had never installed a hitch on my type of vehicle before. That didn't necessarily raise any red flags because U-Haul is supposed to be known for hitches and call me crazy but I assumed some measuring device would be used. It apparently was not and now I have a crooked hitch installation. This was not something that I noticed until I attached the bike rack and could visibly see it was crooked. In addition it was installed too close to my vehicle meaning I can't use the rack closest to my vehicle without zip tying my pedals or else they will strike and damage my vehicle.

I did take my vehicle to another U-Haul location in North Las Vegas where the tech agreed it's crooked and said he could fix it. At that time I contacted U-Haul customer service via Twitter and they requested that I at least go back to the install location so John could assess it. I had no problem doing that but my busy schedule prevented me from getting there until this past weekend. Upon arriving I learned John had been transferred but the three employees present all took a look at my vehicle and could see it was crooked and installed too close just walking up to the vehicle. The current manager, Gabriel, was not present that day but he did call me about a week later to touch base. He really has nothing to do with it except that this happened at his location before it was his location.

I'm still dealing with U-Haul customer service since this installation but a resolution has not been reached yet. On my end I can't say I would recommend them for a hitch install nor at this point would I use them for any future business because so far I have a product I can't fully use and I'm still wasting time trying to get the situation rectified. At this point I'm just out a ton of time when this should have been a one and done type of situation.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

1st off Christina with corporate is amazing. However the branch is bad. They rented me a U-Haul truck with bald tires with an impending snow storm. Needless to say I was stuck in my U-Haul for 7 hours due to know tire tread. As it get colder I ran the heat to keep my kids warm while we were stuck in the snow. Now I'm being charged for additional fuel cost, and mileage due to road closure because of the snow.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

On April 16, 2018, I entered into an equipment contract with U-Haul Moving & Storage of Philadelphia for the rental of a moving truck. I loaded all of my possessions into the truck and was involved in an automobile collision while transporting them to my destination. The police arrived and took a report on the accident, after which time the truck was taken from my possession. The truck was returned to U-Haul custody on May 1, 201, but have not had my items returned to me nor received any information about where or whether they are being held or what I can do to retrieve them.

I contacted U-Haul Moving & Storage of Philadelphia and U-Haul Customer Service on numerous occasions to try to obtain this information but was instructed that I communicate to the U-Haul Legal Department, in writing, is the only mechanism by which information about this matter may be obtained. I wanted to see if this has occurred to anyone else and what was done to retrieve them? I currently have a lawyer working on this, just wanted to see if there are any other ways to retrieve my items. Lastly, we are thinking about making a Civil Action if there are others that this occurred. Please contact me if this would be something that you would be interested.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I rented a Ubox to ship my items from Vancouver, BC to London, ON. The Ubox left my house October 30th and was to be available for pick up at a London location November 15th. I get charged for the Ubox five days before delivery, and I receive an email saying my box has arrived early on November 12th. I have a truck and the day off scheduled for the 16th to pick up and unload the box. Everything thing is going smoothly until the morning of the 16th when I arrive to pick up my Ubox. On arrival I am informed that they shipped the wrong box and someone was supposed to have told me.

This is failure #1, U-Haul had the box for four days and no one contacted me to tell me that they shipped the wrong box or they didn't even realize the wrong box had been shipped until I arrived (I am not sure what is worse at this point). So they have now missed their guaranteed delivery date and screwed me out of a day of work by failing to communicate. I am told that the box was mixed up in Toronto and I should see it the following week. The following week I start to follow up as to where the Ubox and all of my possessions are, and no one can get the story straight, after talking to 5 different people over 3 days I have heard that it never left Vancouver, it was left in Toronto, or it was shipped to Victoria BC, and no one can even start to guess when it will be arriving.

On November 20th I wake up to an email from U-Haul saying my box will be shipping that day with an arrival date of December 6th and they will be charging me another $1100 on December 1st... all under a new contract number... to say the least I am upset. I continue to try and get an answer out of U-Haul as to if this is correct, and figure out what is going on. After two days of calling I have finally have the answer that yes the new delivery date is as expected and that no I will not be charged. Great at least I have a new delivery date, to a new location that is supposed to be able to deliver the box for me to help make up for the day of work and two hours of driving I lost to their communication failure. I have asked for a follow up email regarding the new contract number and how it links to the old contract number so that I have something to reference on future call.

Fast forward to today November 28th, I get an email from them charging me an additional $155 for re-renting the box for another month. So not only do they fail to communicate to their customers they fail to internally manage the issue. I respond to the mail explaining that I will not be paying explaining it is their fault. To which I receive no reply.

November 29th, I get a call from the previous location that the box was supposed to show up saying that they now have my box. Great it's early! I ask when they can deliver it and they have no idea what I am talking about... so back to the phones I go. After three attempts to contact and being passed around from call center to call center spending 2 hours on hold... I finally get an answer to all of my questions. They will not honor the delivery, they still won't give me anything in writing, and I now have scramble to take a day off work, get a truck, and sort out picking the box up in the next couple of days on my own dime.

In the end they only honored their $50 a day guarantee refund and they did refund the additional $155 rental fee, but in my eyes this does not make up for any of the hardship that I was put through, with the days off work, the fuel, the freezing in -10 degree C weather because I didn't have my winter gear, not honoring the delivery and frankly just having zero care for their customer service and the experience they provide.

All of these bad experiences could have been made better with simple communication. Calling me the day the box arrived to notify me there was an issue and that I would hear from them within a reasonable timeframe for what the solution would be, and to keep me updated as to what was going on, and not sending me emails that say I am going to be charged extra money, and leaving me to try and figure out if it is true or not. In the end I am writing this review to hopefully let someone know what they could possibly be in for when using their service. As I never would have guessed I was getting into this nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I reserved a truck rental at a rate of 39.95 a day or so I thought. Apparently during the online rental process it defaults to 8 hours and the 39.95 is for 8 hours. My understanding was that I could have the truck overnight. That is apparently not the case. Turns out we needed the truck an additional day. I called the U-Haul location on Governors Drive in Huntsville, AL the next morning but no one answered. Later the manager called and asked where the truck was and I informed him we were delayed and he said no problem and issued another contract. I turned the truck in after business hours and the next day I never received a receipt but my wife said U-Haul charged our card three times adding up to over three hundred dollars.

I called the next day and they sent a bill to my email address and I was charged for three days. I called back. Even the person who answered the phone said he was confused by the charges. The manager called me back and said that I rented it initially for 8 hours and after that 8 I was charged another time for the remainder of the day. The extra day was another contract and another charge. The blanket rental and insurance was also charged three time since it was “three different service request”. I was also charged for a dolly rental but the seal was already broken and fortunately the manager has noted that. He wouldn’t budge on anything else. Very dissatisfied and still trying to find a solution with U-Haul.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I recently needed to rent a U-Haul truck in DeLand, Florida. The website listed six U-Haul suppliers in the area. At the first one we drove to, they said they hadn't supplied U-Haul trucks for a while, but U-Haul wouldn't take them off their website. The second location was closed when we arrived (and didn't appear to have trucks anyway). Out of the other four locations, each one of them either no longer supplied U-Haul or couldn't be reached at the given phone number.

Using an actual phone book, we finally found a dedicated U-Haul store (which wasn't listed at all on the website) and went there. The employees there were very helpful and got us set up quickly. We specified our preferred return location in Gainesville, Florida from a list of options, and they gave us a printout with the address and pertinent information. The truck worked fine for our needs.

The next problem came when we tried to return the truck. We arrived at the location to find it closed, but there was a dropbox for the key. We tried to go through the return process on the U-Haul website, but it had the wrong location listed and would not let us change it. After twenty minutes on the phone with a support person, we finally got the address changed and were able to drop off the key without fear of fees and further hassle. The whole process took us all day, and the website was wrong every step of the way. I was very frustrated, and I'll do everything I can to avoid renting from U-Haul again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

"U-HAUL" gave me shortest route mileage wise--only problem this route goes directly through half of the major cities (WAS OFFERED NO OTHER OPTION) on the eastern seaboard of U.S. Decided to take another route (safer) which went 100 miles over- complained to corporate and they blew me off. Cost me another $60.00 +/- plus taxes. They also force you to "almost" fill tank with threat of big penalty on cost of gas (if they have to put gas in) if gas gauge is not exactly where it was when you left with truck. Almost impossible to gauge how much to put back in. So ended up filling tank and "U-HAUL" declined pro-rating money back for cost of overfill--out another $20.00 +/-. Corporate failed to address this issue at all! SO "U-HAUL" GOT ME for an add on of $80.00 +/-. TOTALLY WRONG AND WILL NEVER, EVER use them again. Public beware!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I booked a truck two weeks before my move, a 26 foot truck (the largest they have in my area). A week later I got a call from U-Haul dispatching telling me they couldn't guarantee the location pick up of my 26 foot truck even though it was an option on the website for that location when I booked it. They said they would call 2 days before my date to tell me where the pick up would be and I said ok as long as it's in the same city. Nope couldn't guarantee that might have to drive an hour out of the city any direction depending on where it was. I was annoyed but I needed a big truck at the price was decent so I agreed to that. I was supposed to pick it up at 3:30 on a Friday, got there at 3pm and they were closed.

Called U-Haul and apparently that location had a family emergency and had to close, my truck was sitting in their lot, but I couldn’t get it. They then arranged for a 26 foot truck at another place in the same city at a storage rental place. I called the storage place on our way there and they said the U-Haul person wasn't there that and I'd have to wait to talk to him so she took my number and said he'd call me back. I headed back to work in the meantime. She called me back a few minutes later and said I spoke to my son (the U-Haul rep) and she told me he said that truck is going out to someone else in the morning and I couldn't have it for the weekend like I'd booked.

So I called U-Haul again and the scheduling lady pretty much yelled at me to just go there that the truck was guaranteed for me and that the storage place needed to update their system. So I drove there this time and Mr. U-Haul still wasn't there and his mom basically told me to go away cause she has nothing to do with U-Haul and I couldn't have the truck anyways. So I waited in my truck for a bit and then called U-Haul again and the U-Haul person wanted to talk to the person there at the storage place, but the lady refused to talk to them and said she had nothing to do with it. 30 mins later her son finally came back at like 4:45 at this point and they close at 5 and my reservation was for 3:30pm. He logged into his computer and updated his U-Haul system reservations and sure enough the person that had it booked for the next day is gone from the system and the truck was listed for me for the weekend.

He was confused and reluctantly rented me the truck, finally got out of there at 5:30. 2 hours of advocating for myself to sort out the truck issue. This is the 3rd time I've tried to use U-Haul thinking over the years maybe they've gotten better. NOPE! First time I tried to use them, went to pick up a truck and the place closed hours before that and the closing time in the U-Haul system was wrong. Second time was supposed to get a large truck at 8am, all they could give us was a small truck at 3pm. Just always a nightmare. NEVER AGAIN! Do NOT choose U-Haul even though they are cheap. It's not worth the hassle.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I was at U-Haul on Roosevelt Blvd in Philadelphia PA at 6:45 PM and wanted my propane tank filled and was given a very hard time to get it done. When the employee was restarting the system he was cursing me and telling me to shut the ** up or he wouldn't continue to fill the tank. He repeatedly told me to stop whining and would not give me my propane tank back after filling it as well as pulling the tank back away from me almost dropping it on the ground which could have been a catastrophic incident if he dropped it.

The general manager contacted me arguing his employee didn’t do anything wrong. Said he reviewed his video and saw nothing wrong. And the employees that were watching lied and said he didn’t talk to me like that. So I am very upset at business U-Haul on Roosevelt Blvd 7750 Philadelphia PA. I cannot believe this manager is covering for his employee which has violent tendencies as well as verbally abusive language and threats that he did say to me. I hope this story gets picked up and someone comes to help do an investigation into this matter. This isn't the first time I have had a problem with this employee and his mouth and threats.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I requested a truck online in one city, they said they had the truck there. But when I went to pick it up, I received a text and phone message stating "I had to pick up the truck in another city." The job was in progress, so I had to go to other city to pick up truck; which cost more per mile. Then they charged me double the price after I met all obligations required on contract and they have been giving me the runaround for several days. It seems like they don't want to deal with the matter and there is no one available "other than a computer" to look into matter properly.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

For a one-day, one-way U-Haul rental, within the city of Houston, I am being charged over $500, which is 5 times the expected fee. If I am in error, I like to be accountable, but between unprofessional and poorly trained representatives at both the drop-off and pick-up location, a lack of clear communication about expectations, and the 'carrot on a stick' that U-Haul is offering of a *$150 Refund", which would still leave me with a $350 bill for what was supposed to be $100, I am going to have to fight this case to the best of my ability, including subpoena in court of video and photographic evidence of both transactions. U-Haul is taking advantage of their customers and should be run out of business if they can't provide the dignified quality of service that customers deserve.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Yakima WA South 1st Street has Horrible customer service. We attempted to rent a box trailer to move our U-haul storage items out. The person working the counter had a name tag on her that said she was the owner, which she is not but she acts like it. She refused to rent the box trailer because she said our hitch was not factory. Our hitch is better than factory because it is welded to the truck frame. That was pointed out to her but did not do any good. She said they couldn't be responsible even though she was told our insurance covered any problems.

Maybe she'd like to tell us how much better the portable hitches that U-Haul rents/sells is better. I don't think so. My niece lost her storage key and U-Haul refused to let my husband cut off the lock. Their excuse was that people were breaking into lockers. The contracted person was right in front of her with ID and the U-Haul contract. That's ridiculous, we had to spend $80 for a locksmith for something we could have done. Mind you you have to know the code to get into the storage area before you ever get to your storage locker. When I hear of anyone wanting to store or rent at this U-Haul I will make sure they know what they are dealing with.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I used U-haul's Ubox service to ship our belongings from Oregon to North Carolina. Literally the WORST experience ever. Terrible, TERRIBLE customer service. The Uboxes finally ended up being delivered 7 days late, on October 27, when the original "guaranteed delivery" date was October 20th. I understand there are delays, but the overall customer service was terrible during the process.

I had to call the North Carolina Uhaul the day they were supposed to be delivered; when I spoke with the manager she had no idea where they were. Apparently they do not keep track of your Uboxes during the process. She was finally able to tell me they would arrive three days late. Fine. I understand delays happen. Three days later, no one from Uhaul even gets in touch with me. I HAD to call them AGAIN. I was told she still didn't know where they were and had to call the shipper directly. I called the next day and the next, and finally they were able to tell me they could deliver the 27th.

Since Uhaul has a "guaranteed delivery" date, they apparently offer $50 a day for every day it's late. I called Customer Service and they said they had no record in their system that it was ever supposed to be delivered on October 20, and that in THEIR system it said they would be delivered October 28. EVEN THOUGH I already had possession of the pods on October 27 and even got a confirmation email with my contract right after they were delivered. HOW IS IT NOT IN THE SYSTEM THAT THEY WERE DELIVERED?

Now apparently they have to "put in a request" to the local Uhaul shop's manager to make sure the delivery was actually 7 days late - even though I have various email confirmations from Uhaul - how this is not in their system is beyond me. When they finally arrived we had severe water damage to our couch. Now I have to deal separately with their insurance department - which is probably going to be a nightmare as well. UHAUL YOU ARE TERRIBLE. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My husband and I moved from FL to MD. Within an hour of the start of our trip, our SUV came untethered from the hitch pulling it. We called roadside with U-Haul and were told that U-Haul would not assist with our personal automobile. The roadside operator was informed that the issue was that the car was improperly tethered and that our vehicle was in danger of serious danger. We were told we would have to pay for service to the car out of pocket.

We were left to fix U-Haul's mistake, on the side of the road for over an hour. Once back on the road the tow dolly tire blew. Again we were on the side of the road for an hour. When I called to complain, I was told a manager from corporate would contact me. I am still waiting for that call. When I called back, the customer service operator made the statement, "You made it didn't you." In all fairness, I need to point out the efforts of one young lady who called back to inform me she had sent an email and made a phone call. I was told I would get a phone call by 4:30pm that day. The call never came. Someone should have took responsibility and called us back. This was unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

U-Haul charged me 694.05 THREE TIMES before I even brought the truck back! I was quoted 39.00 a day plus mileage! We just left about 2 hours ago!! I called the customer service line and they put me on hold for 20 minutes and then hung up on me! 955 N Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97217 is where we picked up at. What a NIGHTMARE!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

U-Haul proudly prints on their boxes that they will buy back any unused boxes. The small print says "with receipt". The U-Haul at Colfax and I225 in Denver stood firm on the small print. No receipt... no refund. Left my six boxes in the lobby without refund. They obviously need them more than I do. DONT USE U-HAUL. THERE ARE CHEAPER OPTIONS WHO KNOW HOW TO TREAT CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

U-Haul installed a trailer hitch and wiring. The trailer lights stopped working. I am a Shriner and Christmas Parades start and I need my Trailer. All my car lights are fine, only the wiring to the trailer is not working. I dropped it off at U-Hall. Twice I called and corporate answers the phone. Corporate stated, someone would call. NO ONE EVER CALLED. I tried to call the next day, Corporate again. Where I left my car never answers the phone. It's forwarded to Corporate. I finally went to pick up my car. Was told sorry the man that took my information and car keys was fired yesterday. I said why didn't anyone answer any phone calls. All I got was sorry. MY CAR WAS NEVER TOUCHED. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I downloaded the U-Haul app to rent a $19.95 truck for local moving for 5 hours. I was to pay the $19.95 for the rental, .59 cents a mile AND fill fuel to fuel upon return. (Double charging here.) My receipt said my "estimated cost" was to be $45.40. I agreed to this. I SPECIFICALLY told him I do not need or want the "Safe Trip" charges as I have AAA. He told me it was INCLUDED in the $19.95 rental! They ran my card, my bank paid them and I went on my way. Before returning the vehicle, I put the $6 of fuel I used back into the truck. I had exceeded my estimated mileage by 7 miles. No big deal right? An additional $4.13 at the .59 cent rate. I was told I owed $84.57! WHAT???

I showed them where they had taken it out of my bank, unbeknownst to me until that time, they had taken $80.44! Not the $45.40 I was told! (Wish I could upload this receipt!) So, a $19.95 truck rental PLUS $39.53 for 67 miles PLUS $6 for fuel PLUS $10 insurance PLUS $5 for Safe Trip fee I distinctly told him I didn't want, PLUS $9.09 in taxes for a SERVICE PLUS a $1 ENVIRONMENTAL FEE! Since I had a credit card they waived the $100 deposit! So in summation, the $19.95 truck is over 4 times the cost and potentially up 9 times the $19.95 advertised fee. NEVER AGAIN will I deal with U-HAUL and I will NEVER recommend them!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We reserved 6 U-Boxes from U-Haul for a move from Washington State to Bend, Oregon. The original quote was reasonable and all inclusive (beginning to end). However, additional charges were added as we began the move (U-Box drop-off/delivery fee, storage fees and others). Further, the delivery on the other end of our move was a subcontractor and charged additional fees. Please keep in mind all these fees were outlined as part of the initial quote and included in our original payment of over $2k. Customer service was no help, I will never use U-Haul again and do not recommend any of their services. Stay away from U-Haul!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

U-Haul has always prided itself with its commitment to the long-established core value of quality self-move, that can only be established through health and safety performance. Unfortunately, U-HAUL’s commitment to safety was completely ignored by U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING (709029) during my most-recent cross-country move.

On Friday, October 5TH, my sister (a nurse practitioner) and I (a senior military officer) rented a 15’ moving van (**) from U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING (709029) for our move from Visalia, CA to Beckley, WV. For the assistant manager of U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING, safety was not a considering factor when he rented us a truck with 4 out of 6 tires in faulty conditions: 2 (two) severely worn-out front tires and two flat rear tires on the passenger side that could not hold over 40 PSI. What mattered most for the assistant manager of U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING was to transfer responsibility of a faulty truck to another store; and he obviously did not care if a customer got hurt or even killed in that process.

It is also worth mentioning here the dirty state of the truck’s interior, and the fact that the passenger mirror was useless during our trip. I have no doubt that we would have entered into a terrible accident on the icy mountain Colorado roads (as it was snowing as we passed through) had we started to drive the truck in the condition that it was given to us. The assistant manager of U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING not only endangered our lives through his actions, but also the lives of the other drivers on the road. With a click, he took the money in full and then washed his hands from the situation disappearing and not taking responsibility and accountability.

Furthermore, the Roadside Assistance website did not work properly (nor were its phone lines), so on Saturday (October 6TH) we requested assistance from the assistant manager of U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING (who rented the truck to us); but he belligerently refused to offer any assistance — despite the fact that we were very calm and understanding during the entire ordeal. He just very angrily snapped at us (bad words and all).

We were finally able to reach U-HAUL Roadside Assistance on the phone on Saturday afternoon; but the truck was not fixed until after dark that evening. It was also appalling to see the other U-HAUL employees being instructed NOT to assist; and the lack of respect shown to the Roadside Assistance truck driver when he arrived.

My sister, my mother, and I spent the entire Saturday in the sun, in the U-HAUL parking lot waiting for help. It basically took almost two days to move the truck out of the U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING (709029) parking lot and begin our move — only thanks to U-HAUL Roadside Assistance mechanic, who was appalled by the condition of the truck rented to us. Ultimately, not only did U-HAUL endanger our safety, but it also ruined our trip. The two-days delay caused us to drive through bad weather and I spent my 36th birthday driving instead of spending it with my children — as this was supposed to be my first birthday spent with them, when I am not deployed.

While I am convinced that the service that I received is not the norm for U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING, the lack of care for the safety of its customers in this case — as exhibited by the Assistant Manager of U-HAUL AT MINERAL KING during this move — is unacceptable and does not live up to U-HAUL’s core values and promise to its customers.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had made arrangements 1 month prior to when I needed it to reserve and pick up of a 5x8 U-Haul trailer in my hometown of Medicine Hat. It was for a one way from Medicine Hat to Tucson, Arizona. This was not online but personally I stopped by the U-Haul rental. Two days later I started getting emails (2) from U-Haul. First was a confirmation to the trailer and pick up date and the second to make sure the vehicle I was going to tow with was adequate. One week prior to the pickup date I stopped by the rental office to make sure everything was in order and was assured the trailer would be there when I needed it. The morning before I was to pick up the trailer I received a call from a U-Haul rep. (Somewhere in the U-Haul worked) explaining to me that my trailer would not be available however they could provide me with a 4x8.

I told them that wasn't adequate or what I had requested so they said I (me) could pick a 5x8 in Lethbridge (which is a 200+ mile or 320 + km round trip from Medicine Hat... Which after much conversation is exactly what I did... I needed the trailer! They offered me an extra day rent at no charge (which was the day I wasted driving back and forth to Lethbridge to pick up the 5x8 trailer). I told them that was like waving the delivery fee for a pizza because I picked it up myself!!! Anyways at the end of the day I negotiated with U-Haul and they agreed to reimburse my fuel bill.

If there was any other game in town I would advise use them but U-Haul seems to have the trailer rental market cornered. As a side note there were 3 U-Haul reps. that I dealt with and all 3 of them told me the same thing had happened to each of them personally at one time (hmmm seems like a line fed to them to feed to customers but anywhere....) and one even told me that he swore he would never rent from U-Haul again... But he works for them... Too funny! I guess at the end of the day I got my trailer and my fuel money reimbursed. Had a good laugh when the reps all told me the same sad story... Especially the last guy, but would I ever rent from them again... Probably not... I hope not anyway.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My experience started with an online trailer rental 2 days prior to pick-up. I selected the location closest to my home and was confirmed. I get to the location at the time specified and there’s no trailer at that location. U-Haul decided to change my location to 45 minutes away. Apparently they assumed I would be fine with that. If traveling that distance isn’t a big deal to the company then why don’t they bring it to the location specified? Anyway, I’m given the address and I Google Map it. I get to the address and there is no U-Haul store. I drove all around the area and decided to call the company to find out what was going on. Meanwhile I have people at my home (45 mins away) waiting to load some furniture in this trailer that is nowhere to be found.

I sat in the parking of an auto shop with no U-Haul sign/trucks/trailers, anything identifying any business around me to U-Haul and called the customer service number. I sat on hold for quite a few minutes and became so frustrated with the whole thing I started driving back toward my home. I was supposed to be on the road at this point on a 3 1/2 hour drive. I’d put 2 hours of my day at this point just driving around. Finally after 10 minutes on hold the lady on the phone tells me the trailer is at a tire company. Why wouldn’t that information be communicated? I’m sent to a town I’m completely unfamiliar with to an address that has nothing to do with U-Haul and I’m completely behind schedule and now my only option is to cancel. What a waste of time! My time, and the people helping me move the furniture. The lady on the phone makes it seem like it’s my fault because she said they tried to call me and they left a voicemail about the location.

After I got off the phone I checked and no voicemail. I did see a text message with a different address than the email confirmation I was given but still no business name to know that it wouldn’t be a U-Haul business. The explanation I was given was that when the reservation is made and you’re given a list of locations to select that you’re only selecting your preferred location and not guaranteed that location. What an inconvenience. Why not give an accurate list of available locations or don’t give a list at all? I never agreed to travel that distance when I made the reservation. I will never attempt to trust this company to provide a service for me ever again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I rented a truck for one day. 79.00 charge. I returned the truck and they took 80.00 more off my credit card for a total of 161.00 for one day... Wtf. Who do I speak to? Where is my money? Ripped off completely.

U-Haul Company Information