Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I used U-Haul for the first time ever to rent a van for 2 hours to move a mattress. I walked in and started to go thru the reservation process with the rep (who wasn’t pleasant). After a few minutes he handed me the keys, told me to replace the gas I used before returning it and made mention that my reservation was being texted to me. Ok. Easy.

I did what I needed to do without incident, put more gas in it than needed and proceeded to return the van. There were 2 drop offs ahead of me so I waited patiently in line. A different employee approached me and took my key, asked if I replaced the gas and told me I’d get a receipt via text. Never received the receipt.

The next morning I checked my credit card statement, and discovered a $550 charge! I called customer service and was informed this was for damage to the vehicle!! I informed the rep that there was no way I had damaged it, but there was nothing she could do besides email me the incident report. She then asked if I had done the vehicle inspection prior to leaving the lot. I didn’t know what she was talking about, the rep never explained anything about an inspection and this being my first time, I was naively unaware of this procedure.

Not only did the rep not inform me to perform a vehicle inspection, they took the vehicle back, never called to inform me of the damages and never emailed a receipt. They just charged the card on file! No explanation- no correspondence— nothing!! I am now taking this up with corporate because I feel scammed. Why wasn’t I informed of an inspection prior to leaving the lot? Why didn’t they call me after I returned it to ask about damages? Why didn’t I get a receipt like they stated I would? They just charge your credit card and hope you don’t realize it. Sounds very fishy to me. Please be aware. This is the Mt Pleasant location in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

We rented a car tow dolly. The tires were bald, blew out, waited for hours to be replaced. Cost us time, hotels, meals, fuel and they didn’t reimburse us for anything. Horrible company and experience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

So I ordered a 26-foot truck for a one-way move of 77 miles. The morning of the move I get a phone call that they didn't have that size truck. They were going to give me two trucks for the price of the one truck. That they were giving me extra days and extra mileage to get it done. When I went to pick up the first truck from the first location, she told me it'd be a hundred and twenty something dollars and I said I already prepaid. She made a phone call and left a voicemail, no one was available to help her. I went ahead and paid, because I had movers standing there getting paid for nothing. So, I just figured U-Haul refund me since I already paid for it. And researching would happen, reservations did not link my two orders together.

Since calling U-Haul this week to get my refund they're saying because they're extra miles. They credited me $80 of the $127 because of mileage. So all the stuff they said they were giving me the extra free mileage the extra days no they didn't give it to me. I had to pay!!!! They took me for an extra $50 that was not rightfully theirs. They did not have the equipment to get my move done in one trip!! So they weasel $50 in mileage out of me or whatever it is they're claiming it is. I still am not clear on that. I've used them many times for moves but you can bet I will NEVER EVER use them again and I will be sharing this story for the rest of my life, they are crooks. They say they're going to GIVE you something then they make you pay for it. Use at your own risk. You will regret it!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We rented from our local U-Haul rental provider after making the reservation online. The estimate was much less than the actual cost. We were quoted an estimate and that amount was debited from our account. When we turned the truck in the actual cost was figured by Uhaul and that amount was debited from our account. The original estimated amount was not credited to our actual invoice. In essence Uhaul charged us twice and will refund the held money in 3-5 business days. When questioning Uhaul regarding these charges, they stated it is in their contract. The contract which is only available in the smallest of print. Don't rent from them unless you want to pay more and get less than the other rental companies. Upfront it seems like a good deal, but the small print will get you every time.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I can see why this local UHaul (UHaul Moving and Storage of Vestavia, AL) is not listed on Angie's List, HomeAdvisor's, or has a Better Business Bureau affiliation. After driving in from out of town to get a hitch installed on my car, and having confirmed that the parts were in, several days in advance, when I arrived for my reservation, I was told the parts were NOT in! When asked how that could be, after verifying the parts several days beforehand, I was told their employees were trained to say "yes." My biggest disappointment was the absence of any apologies whatsoever. I was then promised I would be contacted AS SOON as the parts did arrive. That never happened. I had to call the corporate office the day before my rescheduled reservation (on a holiday weekend, of course) to finally verify that the parts had arrived. [5 Stars to the Corporate office for their assistance!] This is the type of service you should expect should you choose to do business at this location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Let me preface this by saying I have been a U-Haul customer for years, using them at least five times in the past 10 years or so. I have never had much of an issue with them, aside from maybe using their horrible app to pick up a rental van. This time, though, U-Haul showed me what I believe is their TRUE colors. I made a reservation online for a one-way long-distance move, with a car trailer, furniture pads, and added insurance. The next day, I went to my online UHaul account to add an additional driver. At that time, I learned that my requested location was no longer listed, nor was the car trailer, furniture pads, or insurance, although I provided my credit card information to make a deposit the day prior.

I called UHaul, and their customer service person told me that my REQUEST was under review by a manager--not my RESERVATION. A REQUEST. And there was nothing that rep could do. So, I contacted UHaul via Twitter where I was told that the only thing ever on my account was the 20' truck, and that they could not make a promise regarding the pick-up location of the truck. They said someone would call me THE DAY BEFORE MY MOVE to confirm pick up location and equipment availability.

So, basically, if you book online, that is simply a REQUEST and not a RESERVATION, and they don't even really know how/if they'll be able to honor it until the day before you must pick up the equipment. I informed the rep that my move date was non-negotiable because I'm starting a new job, and she reiterated the process to me. I have since cancelled my request to rent from U-Haul and put in an actual reservation with a different company that not only honors pick-up location, but also has unlimited mileage.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

Based on my experience with U-Haul, I can tell you that not only do they have horrific service, rude reps, they could care less about endangering YOUR LIFE & those on the road with you!! It all started with a simple reservation to pick up a truck and an auto trailer for a oneway interstate move. The night before pick up, I got a call telling me that I’d have to go to another location to pick up the truck. Not the end of the world. Then the rep went on to tell me that the auto transport was at a second location 4 miles away. I asked if they could at least get the transport to the same location the truck I was renting. His response. “We don’t offer that service.”

I called them back in the morning to ask if they could get the equipment I was renting to a single location. Honestly, is that too much to ask of a nationwide company that rents trucks & auto transports?!?!? Well, that rep assured me that the auto transport would be at the location I was renting the truck in Watts, not the Westchester location I confirmed and paid in full for a pick up several days in advance. She claimed she updated my reservation, so off I went to the location.

Upon arrival at the Watts location, they told me that they didn’t have a reservation for the auto-transport. The office called corporate and spoke to L.A. reservation manager “Leoné”. She changed that reservation over to the location I was getting my truck. They then hooked that auto transport to the truck. The rep began looking over the paperwork and luckily found that the auto-transport was NOT SAFE for my vehicle. I was thankful, but still upset as I would have to drive to the other location and get the transport EVEN THOUGH I WAS REASSURED NUMEROUS TIMES DURING THAT MORNINGS PHONE CALL.

BUT IT GETS MUCH WORSE AND LIFE-THREATENING! I got my truck for the 350+ mile rental with 1/8 tank gas. Spectacular service, huh?!? I went to the next location to pick up the transport, they no longer had the reservation as it had been changed to the truck location. No one bothered to get that updated. They simply could care less about any moniker of service whatsoever! I called the corporate office and got the charming (HEAVY SARCASM!!) Leoné who was rude and said this was “all my fault ‘cause I had had kepted changing’ my reservation location.” This is how U-Haul treats someone spending north of $700.00 dollars!!

SO HERE COME THE LIFE THREATENING PART! They connected my auto transport and I headed off to the closest gas station in a pretty sketchy neighborhood where cashiers protect themselves with bulletproof plexiglass. I had to get gas for the 10/ gallon vehicle that Haul rented me with close to an empty tank.

I loaded up all that day and got on the road. I noticed what I thought was a slow leak on the tire of the auto transport. I filled it with air and listened to the sidewall for hissing. It seemed to be fine. I took a picture, but didn’t notice the worn tread that shows this piece of equipment has been on the road with a slow leak for THOUSANDS OF MILES!!

I went on the road and drove from LA to just count of Baker and pulled off to check the tire and use the restroom. That tire had lost quite a bit of air and at that point, I felt it was dangerous to myself and those around me to be traveling 55mph down a highway with a leaky tire that had bald treads on the outside and inside. At this point I was so fed up and just plain exhausted, I slept in the truck and waited for morning to get service to a replacement company to continue my move.

When the tow truck driver arrived, he confirmed that the tread-wear was obviously from thousands of miles of wear and NOT just a few hundred from LA to the location I froze my butt off overnight. He replaced the tire and I headed out to my final destination. Because of all this, I was charged an extra day for the truck. But, hey, they took a $50 off for possibly killing me and anyone else on the road for hundreds of miles. Don’t even consider using U-haul. They should AT LEAST refund the entire amount, if not compensate me for risking my life with willful neglect of equipment!

U-Haul rented me a truck with an auto transport that put my life at risk! The auto-transport had a leaking tire that showed thousands of miles of tread-wear establishing the neglect over an extended amount of time. This has photographic and video documentation as well as the tow truck driver stating that this tire has been in bad shape with a leak for thousands of miles.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I rented a truck that had a pin broke in the steering mechanism behind the tire. I didn’t know this until I had the truck loaded and got out on the interstate and picked up a little speed and the truck shook so bad it felt like the tire was going to fall off. I called U-Haul and they had me take the truck back to my house. After the mechanic they sent out found the problem they had a tow truck tow my truck with my stuff to a storage building where I was moving.. 5 hours a way. My mother had passed away a few months prior and I had some of her furniture I had inherited on the back of the truck. Needless to say, when they raised the truck everything shifted so my mother's things along with my new washer and dryer and a few other things were damaged.

When I called U-Haul they did not want to compensate anything but offered me 175.02 for my troubles. Thanks U-Haul. Hope it doesn’t bankrupt you. Oh wait... I haven’t even received the 175.02 yet and now no one will return my call so now when I call they say it has been closed. Never will I recommend U-Haul to anyone!!! Had to rent a Penske truck just to take my stuff where I needed after U-Haul left my truck at a storage unit! No problems with Penske at all!!! Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My mother made reservations for a 25 ft truck back in September of 2019 for December 28, 2019. On the day that she was scheduled to pick up the truck at the Odessa, TX location on Kermit highway she received a call from a Uhaul representative stating they did not have any trucks and they were being given away on a first come first serve basis. This caused a delay of her getting moved to the DFW area. On Dec 29th she received a call from Uhaul around 9am stating they were able to locate a truck and she could come in to pick it up. She told them she was not able to get out to the location until 4pm that evening. By 3PM she had received a call stating they no longer had a truck due to first come first serve again.

On Dec 30th. I had to drive from Odessa, TX to San Angelo, TX to pick up the truck and Uhaul did not try to make things right in any kind of way. The Odessa, TX locations are terrible and unprofessional on Kermit Highway. The 1800 number that you contact to make reservations do not communicate with the local branches to ensure that there are trucks available. This was a very terrible experience and it cost me additional fees due to the delayed response of getting a truck. I would recommend anyone to run far away from this company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Needed to help get a friend out of a bad situation and rented truck (so I thought) for one night. The keys for the truck were NOT in the lockbox so the person on the phone continued giving box numbers until I found keys in a box. Found keys and the contract was supposed to be updated. The contract was never amended. Filed a STOLEN VEHICLE report with local POLICE. 6 days later finally straightened out and charged for larger vehicle for entire time.

U-Haul Company Information