Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (1988 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 15, 2021

I originally reserved for a one way from ATL to NYC. I fell ill during the move and had to be admitted to the ICU. The truck remained in the hospital parking lot for the majority of the rental. After I was released, I wanted to continue the move. U-Haul charged me another one way rental, AND I paid for the in town rental. But, they will only return a portion of the first one way rental stating that "I checked it in at a different location IN THE SAME CITY, so it's still a one way rental!" Not only was the pick up location closed on 7/5/21, but the truck was full of my furniture and personal belongings, so I couldn't just leave it at a location. The result is that I'm paying $77 for a local rental with only 36 miles used.

Their actions are cruel and not taking illness and extenuating circumstances into account. What's more, the SAME DAY I was released from the hospital, I waited in the Sandy Springs/ATL location for over an hour for the renewal to be processed!!! Since then, I've held on the phone for literally hours trying to get help--each time I get a different answer as to why I'm paying $77 for what should be $19.95! At one point, I was told, "you're not going to get all of your money back." Customer care at its finest...

Original review: July 12, 2021

Originally at the pickup counter when the contract was written they mistyped the information and charged us 13 days. Too many. After contacting the company upon completion of the move and the company checking our original reservation and confirming there was an error, they said they would refund the overcharge. After we got the refund of $402, I e-mailed the service person back twice asking about the tax on the $402. I heard nothing and had previously asked about the tax refund on the original e-mail. Then I started over again and sent the e-mail back using their "contact us" system and actually heard back 4 hours later. They were going to refund $32 in taxes.

My problem is this. When my wife made the appointment she asked if there was an issue returning the truck early. They said no problem. We did return it two days early and found out U-Haul does not refund the early days returned. I asked U-Haul where that was written and they said somewhere on the contract, which they did find and e-mail to me, but was written in such small font it was difficult to read and vague in the meaning, which I believe is why my wife missed the extra days they charged us for originally. As for the refund on the early return, when my wife asked, the counter person, they should have told her there is no refund for early return and good luck on finding where it is plainly written.

Also she had an issue with the brakes stopping the vehicle a couple of time. We called and reported it and they said it was up to us to keep going with it or have a mechanic sent out. She was 4 miles from home when it happened twice, but she made it home. Later we found out they issued the vehicle back out with no problems found. As a final note, don't try calling unless you have plenty of time. It took over twenty minutes for the quickest call to be answered. It seems to us U-Haul is trying to get every penny possible without giving the service they used to supply. Also the cab was not the most comfortable to ride in.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Disgusting, my mom was sick and they had put the truck on a very bad location so I had to forcefully park my car which resulted my car and my neck hurt but U-Haul does not even answer my emails. Disgusting.

Original review: July 3, 2021

If you can imagine every possible nightmare with a moving company, this has been my life for the past month. U-Haul was HORRIBLE!!! I would NEVER rent from them again, neither will my family. They consistently lied and had a different story every (16 times) time I spoke to them. I placed my reservation a month in advance for Huntington Beach, CA and kept checking in on it only to have The local scheduler tell me that he wasn’t going to rent a truck to me because I was going one way and he was going to give the rental to other people that were staying in the state. This was after I was told two weeks before that by someone that because I reserved it first I should be fine since they do for reserved first truck. I was suddenly left with no vehicle.

I had to pay someone to drive a truck down from Utah to California to me to be able to move. Then, the 20 foot truck, even though I had asked for specific dimensions, they lied about how big the truck was. A 20 foot truck is actually 16 1/2 feet long with an overhang over the cab that they’re counting as the extra square footage. Only, they don’t tell you that part. The truck wasn’t big enough and I went to the local office to rent a trailer, only to find out it would cost me $5,000 to rent a trailer one way to put my extra things in because they refuse to let their trailers leave the state and would triple fine me for not returning it to that location. After many hours of calling and repairing the story to 5 different uhaul people over the phone (they kept passing me off to other people) they said they’d rent me a 26” for an ADDITIONAL $2800 (plus fees and taxes) to go from California to Utah in top of my other 20” payment I had made, seriously!

On top of being consistently over stressed for a month about the rental, being lied to consistently, and severely mistreated, disrespected and hours sitting on hold by their terrible customer service, the auto transport didn’t fit my car! They asked exactly what type of car I had and the one that they gave me did not fit in my car. It took us two hours and YouTube videos to find a way to get my car to stay on the auto transport. We had to put boxes underneath the tires to lift it so the undercarriage wasn’t scraping. Completely unsafe! On top of that, there was no safety hook attached to the front of the auto trader and because of the faulty equipment it took us an extra two hours driving because we had to stop every hour to double check the straps. By the way, one of the two straps came off during the transport.

Driving the truck wasn’t any better, the transmission didn’t sound like it was shifting gears properly so it really struggled to drive, especially On inclines. It was crazy noisy. It was hell. I hate U-Haul with a passion. They clearly do not care about their customers. They jacked up the prices as much as they possibly could to get the most money possible, lied to me consistently for a month, And completely screwed me over as well as giving me a faulty equipment. Horrible experience. Honestly if I had to do it over again I would’ve paid the extra $500 and gone with Penske or one of the other rental places to begin with.

Original review: June 29, 2021

If there was a negative stars review, I would have chosen that option. I have been getting the run around (after being on hold on each call no less than 30 minutes - most are over 50) since my Uboxes were scheduled to arrive June 22nd in Denver. Uhaul customer service (since you can't get in touch with an actual location) says the boxes are there but when the movers call to schedule to come get them, they are told they have not been delivered to the Denver location and they don't know where they are.

In addition to that, the contract number I was given and that is listed on Uhaul.com for my account is apparently, as of today, not a viable contract number and another one is now associated with my cell number, even thought it isn't listed anywhere on my account on their website. There have been NO emails to me letting me know that the boxes are delayed past the June 22nd delivery date or when they will be expected or where they are. I was counting on a large company like Uhaul to be better and they are not.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had a great experience today at U-Haul. The store associates Stacey and Belinda were very friendly and helpful. They gave great advice that helped me decide what reservation I needed to make. They were awesome!!

Original review: June 22, 2021

I reserved a trailer to pull one-way from California to Wyoming online and selected a location pick-up 10 miles from my house because it indicated there was a trailer available there. I received a confirmation. At 4pm the day before I was supposed to pick it up, I got a phone call from a business 80 miles away saying that they had my trailer at their lot. He was calling because he was concerned that U-Haul might not have let me know the location had changed and it was far away (actually a 2 hour drive because of the roads). U-Haul had not let me know. I called and there were no other trailers any closer, and it was too late t find another option, so 80 miles there and 80 miles back I drove.

When I made my reservation, even though I put my destination as Jackson, WY, the drop-off location was given for a town in another state about 45 minutes away. I had no way of knowing that there was actually a drop-off in Jackson. When I tried to change the drop-off location after finding out I could do it 45 minutes closer, U-Haul said that they would charge me double and "there was nothing they could do." So, I dutifully drove the extra 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back. When I did drop it off, there were MULTIPLE trailers like mine, so U-Haul clearly did not NEED it in that location. They must have a horribly antiquated computer system to not be able to make a simple location change. I will go out of my way to avoid U-Haul in the future.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Customer service was terrible. They changed my pickup location to a place over 150 miles away. So I cancelled and rebooked in a town that was closer (Vegas). I called to confirm after hours pickup. They weren't sure if the location provided that. They changed my pickup location again. I called to confirm a 26' truck would be available for after hours pickup. Pay for an Uber to go to pick up location. Truck is boxed in. After waiting on hold for an hour, customer service couldn't help. Had to book a hotel and pay for an Uber to the hotel so I can pick up in the morning. Picked up in the morning. Incorrect mileage and a bald tire. Tire blew 20 miles down the road. 45min on hold waiting for roadside assistance. 45 minutes for them to find a provider. Over 90minutes for someone to show up to change the tire. Had to cancel the movers I booked because it will be too late for them. Customer service is sorry for my inconvenience.

Original review: June 10, 2021

So I have been trying to move from CO to NV and they have made it a horrible experience. They randomly canceled my 26' truck rental. I had to call to figure out why. Every time I called I got redirect to New Mexico, Texas and Alaska all saying I had to get the CO office they are the only ones to help you. After calling within 2 minutes of them opening I finally got the correct office. Just to be told they are not letting the large truck leave state anymore because too many people are leave Colorado and no one is moving to CO. That is ** since we all hear and see the reports of the house sale. Then they say they can only give largest trailer for out of state. It became apparent they are just trying to do multiple rentals to get more money instead of supplying what people really need and using there stock.

I have seen tons of 26' at the 4 different U-Haul I went to in person. All saying the same that they won't let those trucks and trailer leave the state. I then tried to by a tow hitch and have it shipped to me and said it would be here in 3 days. It is now 5 days and all they sent was the ball and clip both I can get a Walmart or O'Reilly for 1/2 the price. I used to use U-Haul for all my moving needs for the last 10 years. I don't know if it is a CO thing but I will never use them again. A bunch of scammers.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I ordered a trailer on the 800 number several weeks prior to my moving date (tomorrow). I was explicit that I wanted to pick up the trailer at one of the many Uhaul dealers in my town the morning of my move (I live in a town of 125,000 people...there are many locations). The representative told me that I would receive a call the day before to let me know what dealer I would pick up the trailer from. I was fine with that. On the day before the scheduled move, I was notified via text that my trailer could be picked up in a neighboring southern state to me, over 1.25 hours away from where I live. That would add 2.5 hours back and forth when I was expecting to move in the morning. This is not even practical.

I called the 800 number to try to sort this out and was on hold for 50 minutes waiting to speak to a representative. I was transferred numerous times, the rep always saying, "I'm not the one who can help you". When I finally got to the right person, they told me I was out of luck, that no trailers were available in my home town. She told me that this was the end of the month and it is not uncommon for this to happen at this time of the month??? Now I have no trailer for my move tomorrow. When I got off the phone, I called the dealer locally to make sure no trailer was available...and was basically told that "Uhaul does this many times to customers". I am livid about this and will NEVER do business with Uhaul again.

U-Haul Company Information