3.17/5

Compare Movers

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

We scheduled a 24/7 pickup for a local U-Haul carrier at 8:00 AM on a Saturday. I show up at 7:55 AM and begin the online process through my phone. After taking pictures of my face and license, the site just says my account is under review and says to reply to the chat below to ask for help. I reply to the chat - no response. I reply for 10 more minutes with still no reply.

Finally, I call customer service at around 8:15 AM and when I finally get in touch with someone, they say the 24/7 customer support is different and transfer me to... a receptionist apparently. She can't help me and so she transfers me to a number that rings 7 times and then hangs up. I call back and select the 24/7 option and then sit on hold for 20 minutes until I finally get someone. I tell them my problem and ask what the holdup is and let them know I am now 45 minutes late because of them. They put me on hold and then the phone hangs up. I call back and sit on hold for another 10 - 15 minutes. I give up and call the standard customer service line so I can at least speak to someone. Again, they can't help me and apparently their manager wasn't available to speak with.

Finally, over an hour after my first call, someone with 24/7 calls back and says they will complete the process over the phone, but only after they waste time calling my wife to confirm she's my secondary contact. What's the point of an online 24/7 pickup if it takes an hour-and-a-half and I have to call customer support and they have to call my wife to confirm who she is? Terrible, but fine - it's almost 9:30 AM, but I finally got my truck after making my friends wait forever for me to show up.

Then, when I return to drop the truck off at 5:00 PM, the system works better, but at the end it shows that it will charge me for 1000 miles!! on a 35 mile trip. I refute the charges and describe the correct mileage (which I have pictures of) and am told I will be contacted in 48 hours. Six days later (144 hours), I get an email reply with the final bill for the standard charges plus a charge for 95 miles, which I understand is less than 1000 but still greater than the actual 35 miles I used the truck for. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have an extra $60 laying around to pay for someone else's incompetence.

So to recap:

- Their system and subpar customer support made me an hour-and-a-half late
    - They then overcharge me by 965 miles when I return it

- I refute this with evidence and they still overcharge me by 60 miles

I requested a full refund. Completely incompetent company with terrible customer support who overcharges you. I'm running out of adjectives to describe how terrible the whole experience from top to bottom has been. Do not recommend for anyone to use in the future. Use Penske if you can.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!! I had a 24/7 rental. The location refused to honor it because he doesn't want to participate in the 24/7 program. Took over an hour to get someone in customer service to get me in a truck. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on movers that I won't get reimbursed for. It took about 4 different phone calls that night, and several hours on hold, just to find out where I was supposed to return the truck because no one updated in the system the changes to my reservation. Cust service was only "willing" to credit me $50 for not having my rental ready on time. Movers cost $130/hour regardless of if you arrive on time or not.

After following directions and returning the truck to the address I was given, I get not one, but 2 different phone calls from agents that were clueless of the entire debacle asking why I had not returned the truck! So INCOMPETENT on so many levels! Get your act together! Fulfill your contractual commitments and stop blaming the customer for your own poor customer service!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I booked a one-way rental and a day or two later U-Haul advised that they couldn't offer the one-way rental at the price to which I had originally agreed. U-Haul then began negotiating with me and we ended up at a price approximately double the original price. When I later tried to resolve this through their customer complaints, they effectively offered nothing. I am now in the process of filing a claim through our court system.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have used U-Haul twice this year and I must say that I haven't had any issues with them at all. Both location was willing to help and helped me in any way they could. The two locations I used was in Columbia, S.C.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Mathew **-Employee and Nikki **-Area Regional Manager are the most unprofessional people I have ever encountered. DO NOT EVER RENT A UHAUL VEHICLE FROM THIS LOCATION!!! You have been forewarned. I have been charged $192 for the van door lock latch damage that is less than 1/2 in diameter. I advised them that I DID NOT do this and was informed that they would investigate on 11/9/19. If it were not for my bank informing me of an unauthorized charge on 11/10/19, I would not have been aware! Nikki ** advised that she would contact me to let me know her decision and that there was a possibility that I would not be charged. Instead she submits a charge to my card for an unauthorized amount without informing me via call as she indicated!

I have filed a complaint with Uhaul customer service who will forward this to Chris ** the Regional Manager and I will also file a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General, as this is unacceptable business conduct. Again, there currently exist far more visible damage that was not documented and they chose to charge me for a ding on the van door in the amount of $192. Disgusting!!!! I will never do business with Uhaul EVER again if this is not resolved!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I reserved a truck and selected a specific location when prompted. Upon arriving to the location, they said they were completely out of vehicles and didn't even have the kind of vehicle I reserved. I was instructed to call their facilitator for this. She told me the closest location that had my requested vehicle was two cities away. So I changed vehicle types for one in my city. I then went to the next location.

At the second location, they said they didn't have the vehicle type requested on the phone just MINUTES before when I was talking to the facilitator. I could upgrade (yet again) and pay the price difference. The man at the second location thought it was a little weird of a situation and got me transferred to another location in the city with a smaller vehicle so I didn't have to pay an extra $25.

Upon arriving to the third location with many vehicles, the person at the desk said they didn't know anything about the dozen UHauls in their parking lot. I walked around to several other business around that parking lot and no one knew who was in charge of the UHauls. So basically there are just UHauls stored there, apparently several hundred feet away from wherever the pickup location is supposed to be?

I just gave up. I needed a UHaul to pick up a couch. I'm just not getting the couch. I wasted too much time with UHaul's completely unintuitive and disorganized online reservation system. A message to UHaul: just because you put something online, doesn't make it easier. I really suggest that you OverHaul your online reservation system because I just wasted the time of seven of your employees and ended up not even spending a single penny on your company due to the inefficient system in place.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

1st- call for price quote. Continued calling other companies to compare prices. Budget was cheaper. Still, bc the UHaul rep said they were the most economical is gas usage, I 'googled' to see if they do price matching. Some results said yes, so I called again. 2nd call- Tammy call length 33:23. Tammy right away was doing the price match, gave me the order number and said someone would call the day before pick up. I received a confirmation email, but when I clicked on the link with the order #, the price was much more than the original Uhaul confirmation. So, 3rd call- Karen, said they stopped doing price matches a couple of months ago, but she would transfer my call to someone that could help. The call was disconnected.

4th call- Skylar, said she would speak with someone to see if I could be given a discount due to all the above. After being on hold for a while, she said 'he' could give a discount of $2340 for a 15ft truck. Really? I told her that wasn't a discount. It's the original price quoted online. I found this to be dishonest and insulting! I asked to speak to someone in a higher position. She said she could put a complaint through, and I would be contacted by Thomas **, but when? As said on their recording before a representative picks up "To keep our promises with you, this call may be recorded", they can listen to the recording of the call with Tammy (not sure of the spelling) today on November 6, 2019 at around 1pm. I will be waiting to see how/if they honor their statement.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

This is the second (and now last) that I will ever use Uhaul. I had a confirmed reservation for a Saturday. I called the day prior to ensure we were set. This was from their Northbrook IL location. When I arrived at 9:30 am, I was told that they had given the truck to someone else. They said they tried calling me to see if I was still coming.... I had reserved it for the entire day. Unbelievable. Never again. Poor form and Oscar in the store had no clue about how to handle the situation. Instead, I drove over to Enterprise and unlike Uhaul, their customer service was awesome. Do not use U-Haul.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

These people will allow you to make a reservation and then the day before you are to pick up what you have “reserved“ they tell you that you have to drive 60 miles to “pick it up“. Do not trust these people, do not make plans based on what these people tell you. Horrible overpriced company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I will never use U-Haul again thanks to my first and only experience with U haul. I was lied and told things that weren't true. I was charged for a deposit is what I was told and would get my money back but when we returned U haul it was a total lie. When we called Gene to ask him about it he was being belligerent and a total ** saying we were the liars.

U-Haul Company Information