2.5/5 (165 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I did the 24/7 pick up and the app wouldn't let me take a photo so I couldn't advance. Had to call them and wait on the phone for 10 minutes to get someone...who promptly hung up on me! Then I called back and she hung up on me again. I'm at this point 20 minutes trying to pick up a simple truck. Finally got through to someone who let me just email my photos and ID so I could get my keys. Then when bringing it back it wouldn't let me take a photo of the mileage and gas tank. Then I get a bill for $133 on what was supposed to be a $75 bill and their wait time to speak to anyone today is over 20 minutes. I will not use this company again. Biggest hidden cost expensive hassle I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I have reserved a 10' truck online. They asked for all of the information about me: Address, a credit card and phone number, date of birth etc.... When I got to the location to pick up the truck they asked for two more phone numbers. Yes, for them is not enough one or two but three phone numbers. This is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty much they need the phone numbers of your entire family in order to rent a truck for 4 hours. I gave up and went to Home depot and rented a truck.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Do not hire Moving Help of U-Haul. They are fraud. They do not show up, do not provide services and do not refund money. I hired Moving help to unload U-Haul truck. They did not show up. When I called them, they told me to cancel the services. I had to hire another moving services. Had to take another day off. Paid premium for emergency services. Paid one addition day rent of the U-Haul truck. Moving Help will not refund my money. They told me to contact the movers. Movers told me that Moving Help did not pay them money. Moving help gave me a code to give movers when service is completed. Movers did not show up and I did not give them code. Without code they are not paid.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I'm not trying to disrespect their rental services; in fact their services are adequate for almost any person. My huge complaint here is with their customer service department. After having a heated but civil disagreement with a what I assume to be regional manager of some sort about a scheduling issue with a freight pickup I understood that the CS department has their thumbs way too far up their rear ends to care about anything that customer has to say. Keep in mind they are well within their rights to do this but they would rather lose a loyal customer and any future business with that customer than offering even the smallest amount of compensation towards a future rental with their business as a sign of good faith over a scheduling issue with a $20 trailer rental.

If that doesn't scream "We only care about our bottom line" then I don't know what does. The main point to take away from this is unless your moving plan goes without any problems or issues every step of the way then I would rent else whereas I don't think U-Haul's century old customer service model will help you very much.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Rented a U-Haul ubox. Worst experience ever. Never told me what time they were dropping off the box. Had to call customer service and wait 30 minutes on hold the day they were suppose to come out to get any idea of when it was being dropped off. Then had to call to get them to pick up the box even though I had already set a day for them to pick it up. Old landlord had to complain to me for me to know that they never picked it up. Now at my destination, delayed by at 8 days because they were late picking it up, they want me to pay 80$ to have the box delivered after I paid all fees online. Only other option was to pick the box up myself which requires a forklift. So I cannot get my things back from them until 80$ additional fee is paid and of course this fee only comes after they have my things. Complete nightmare experience from day 1. I wouldn't recommend this service to my worst enemy.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I made an online reservation for a 15' truck for a 110 mile move. Two days before the move U-Haul calls me and tells me the place where I reserved my truck does not have it available and I would need to go an hour away to pick it up. When I asked for the next size down (10 Foot), I was told there was a shortage and again would need to travel over 20 miles from my home to pick up a truck. I ended up cancelling my reservation and paying more money with another company but it sure was a lot less of a hassle and I got unlimited miles and an extra day with them vs. 175 miles and a one day rental that U-Haul was giving me.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

My husband and I drove to Asheville, NC, Sweeten Creek location to check out of a unit and rent a U-haul truck to drive back. We went to U-haul, rented the truck and started loading the stuff from the rental unit. We had 1 bag with some Styrofoam in it and I asked if there was a place we could dispose of it. My husband with hurt leg came hopping back from trying to put the bag in the garbage bin and he says, "The guy with the red hair says I can't put the bag in there." The employee whom I asked says, "I can't see why not." Well then I go into the store to buy a lock and asked the clerk Kijana what would it have hurt to let us to put one bag in the bin. Conflicting permissions. I said on top of it the guy spoke rudely to my husband. Kijana, the clerk says, "What. The fat guy? He's my manager." I said. "No the red headed guy."

The red headed guy came in and I asked the same question. He was quite rude with his answer and I told him so. Kijana said, "I am taping you" and I paused. He started taping and saying, "You are trespassing and you have to leave. You will not get any service." I stepped back and stood at the door. Kijana said, "You have to leave. You are trespassing and I am calling the police." He pushed the button for the police and we waited for the Police outside. Asheville Police Officers saw the silliness of this matter and told us that one clerk said he would not to wait on us. We still needed to return some boxes. We left. We were belittled for pointing out rudeness. After this and many years of using U-Haul we will never again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Terrible service. I rented a truck and received a cargo van and had to make more trips to do my moving. The website information is fake because I received a different solution from my order. I chose a location close to my house, and the pick-up location was far. The attendant tried to offer less equipment than what I rented. When I returned, the attendant said the fuel level was low and for my luck, I took a picture to prove that he was wrong. I don't recommend the U-Haul service to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I've been renting a storage unit with U-Haul for almost a year now. Signed up for $109 unit next thing I know I'm paying for insurance I didn't ask for nor need . Then they raise the price without informing me okaying it.. Then literally charge me a $30 late fees after paying the storage unit 5 days later how does $109 plus tax equate to $161.52.. paying for the unit isn't a issue but as an existing customer you should be informed or give some type of authorization before your contract details change... I could be wrong but to me this feels very sneaky and is very unacceptable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We arranged to rent a 4x8 enclosed trailer 4 weeks in advance. Called VIP in Stillwater, OK because the reviews stated Bobby D's was rude and difficult to deal with. VIP took all our information. Today (3 NOV), the day we are to pick up the trailer, we get a text message at 10:21 stating the location for pick up has changed to Bobby D's and was to be picked up by 9:00am. We called the number on the text and the OKC U-Haul office states they had sent us numerous messages starting on 1 NOV that the location for pickup had changed and Bobby D had spoken to us. We NEVER spoke to anyone from u-haul this past week, much less Bobby D and the only text we received was today. Then the uppity lady on the phone says, "well, we can cancel it for you." Knowing full well U-haul is the only business in Stillwater, OK to rent enclosed small trailers.

I finally got Tonya, the supervisor, who changes the pick up time. Not even an apology, but insisted Bobby D spoke to us. In other words, I was called a liar. She stated we had to call the OKC office to make changes to a reservation, not the place we placed our reservation with. I stated that U-haul made the change, not us. Insane! We will never, never use U-Haul again. I would rather buy a small trailer than have to put up with inconsiderate, uncooperative and ridiculous business practices.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I find a 1-star review to be very fitting. For my most recent experience, I’d give a zero if I could however I’ve rented from U-Haul over a dozen times. Each time has had its share of frustrations ranging from disgruntled employees, rude employees, to the truck needing maintenance to having to run to a different location to pick something up. However, this is the first time U-Haul completely flaked on our reservation and as a result, cost us over $10,000 in additional moving expenses. Their lack of responsibility and resolution to the situation is truly beyond words.

Our home sold at the beginning of October and we’d need to be out by the 30th. Soon after accepting our offer, we booked our reservation for a 26ft truck. This truck was to transport all of our 3br home from Carlsbad, CA to Austin, TX. We were shocked to see that a one-way truck would be $5500 but given the times, we were fine sucking it up. To help support our move, we bought plane tickets for family to come in to help, rental cars to help convoy back to Texas and of course, lodging along the way. When booking online, there were instances where we saw certain locations could not guarantee our reservation but we made certain to book one that could. Additionally, it was stated with our reservation confirmation that an agent would reach out to us the day before to confirm the exact location of our truck as pick-up location could be different.

Sure enough, they called as stated however it was to inform us that there were ZERO trucks available in all of Southern California. As if they didn’t see this being the case way ahead of time. I was literally in disbelief as we had so much riding on this reservation. The less-than-empathetic associate on the phone stated our only alternative was to get 6 pods dropped off and once shipped, we’d have our belongings in 4-6 weeks. I asked to speak to the manager and of course they weren’t available. I asked to have them call me back and of course they didn’t.

At this point it was clear that we had to solve U-Hauls mess. We were able to find a shipping company that could move us in such a short time frame however we had to pay significantly more as it was full-service and our only option at this point. So what was a $5500 move was now $13,500. Of course, that’s not including the additional $2000 for having to cancel non-refundable plane tickets, rental cars and hotel lodging as we no longer needed any of it. Side note: In calling around for new moving options, I found it interesting that almost everyone stated they heard about U-Haul doing the same to someone else recently. We were most definitely not the first as we were starting to see a trend.

In the end, U-Haul offered us their standard $50 reservation refund. Aside from this being insulting given what we had to resolve (and pay out of pocket) it’s really unfortunate that companies of this size can get away with this. Bottom line, people don’t want an apology, they don’t want $50, they want a reservation they count on. If U-Haul can’t offer that then they should assume financial responsibility for their lack of ability to manage rental equipment. Reservation #: **

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I rented a U-haul U-box for my moving needs. I had so many issues I genuinely cannot even count. I will recount a few of them here. First of all, their service is terrible. I was hung-up on several times during calls to U-haul. They were unable to give me details about my delivery or pickups at all. I was completely in the dark. When my U-box was being delivered to my original place of residence for loading, they scheduled a moving company in error who could not drop off the box. Forcing me to cancel, and delay the box delivery.

My box was not delivered on time, due to a truck breakdown or something. No one from U-haul contacted me to inform me of this, I had to call U-haul to find out what was happening. The box is still at my new apartment, empty, and has not been picked up on time either. I was hung up on again when trying to find out if I was being charged extra for their mistakes and late delivery. U-haul is a horrible service. Use someone else, literally anyone else. It will save you hours of wasted time on hold only to be hung-up on. Even if you get through after waiting on hold for up to an hour or more, they will likely not tell you any useful information.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

We booked a reservation for a van months ago for our move from New York to Chicago. We had booked a 16' trailer with a car trailer. A week before we were set to move we received a call from U-Haul that there were no moving vans available in the state of New Jersey, New York, or Connecticut for us to use and they were cancelling our reservation. Our lease is up, we had hired people to come help us move, and a week before they completely pulled the rug out from under us. We were then forced to quickly find another company (who actually guarantees they will have a truck for you to use) for more money because U-Haul is unable to make any sort of guarantee of their one single service. I have never dealt with a more disorganized and ridiculous company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My reservation was for a truck and moving blankets to be picked up at 1 pm on a Friday. U-Haul called me and changed the pickup location to another city because, as I found out later, my truck was rented to another customer. This is not the first time I have experienced U-Haul's first come first serve policy regardless of reservations, but it will be my last! The new location had no moving blankets, did not inspect the truck, and called me while I was driving from the airport to the location to check me in and tell me where I could pick up a key (at a local furniture store).

Everything was done via phone and text and then I was checked in as having taken the truck before I ever arrived. There was no registration information in the truck or any copy of my rental agreement. Fortunately, I was not stopped by police during the drive to Massachusetts. They are stripped down bare bones cabs with no insulation. The truck was very loud and handled poorly. Gas mileage is nowhere near the estimated 10MPG.

On returning the truck: U-Haul apparently will grant a rental franchise to anyone. This convenience store had some retail items in disarray in the back. They were put out I was bringing back blankets. They asked me to back the truck into a tight space after they checked in. They were not able to give me a receipt or any return paperwork. They said they would email it to me. When I got it is was all zeros no confirmation of final payment if any. I returned the truck a day early and expected a credit. The phone app and the computer app they were using both had technical issues and could not pull up the truck I was returning. I am done with the poor customer service that U-Haul provides. There is no value in renting from that company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

We ordered 4 boxes for one month. We basically got 2 boxes at a time for one week. What they don't tell you is that the boxes are attached to trailers that you don't rent, so even if you get the boxes you ordered, you are at the scheduling whim of the trailers. We have gotten phone calls nearly every day wanting the trailers. But our stuff is on there! So, they keep taking our stuff. After talking to Head Office is was explained to us that they were supposed to use a forklift to place the boxes on the driveway and not keep them on a trailer.

Initially delivered two boxes. Had to fill those as they needed the trailer. Took those away and brought the other two. Filled those and took them to the new house. They phoned again needing the trailer on the day before we had scheduled people to empty them. Insisted on taking our 2 boxes the day before the move. Did not give us another option. Refused to work with us. The GM talked over us and just repeats what he wants until he gets it. Pawned me off on the transit manager who was supposed to call within 15 mins. Never got the call and had to call them. As soon as the woman on the phone saw which account this related to her demeaner drastically changed. One word answers and she hung up on us. Extremely rude and unprofessional.

When picking up the trailers the day before our move the GM was incredibly rude to both my partner and I. He banged on our door VERY loudly and just walked away. Wouldn't talk to my partner. Just pointed at our car that I guess he wanted moved yet again. They also broke the neighbor's fence when placing the original trailer at new place. When we mentioned this the GM could not have cared less. Told us the neighbor would have to file a complaint. No apology. Nothing. Called to complain about the behavior of the GM and the second person we talked to was very rude as well and insisted that they talk to me as they refused to talk to my partner. She ended up hanging up on us. Very professional.

We had to constantly shift our plans around to suit their trailer schedule. We were never given an option. They would just show up and take our stuff without a care in the world as to how it would affect our move. When we insisted that they return our stuff on moving day they just gave us a string of excuses and hung up on us AGAIN. We never even came close to getting what we paid for. There has been no offer to compensate us for their schedule extending our move. Quite the opposite, they hounded us for $13 we apparently owed them.

I'm a 46 year old professional and I have never in my 46 years on this planet been treated with such a lack of respect. The GM's arrogant and flippant attitude was stunning to both myself and my partner. This was single handedly the most negative moving experience I have ever encountered. I would avoid this location at all costs and certainly do not use their box service. We will be seeking compensation for all of the above but I highly doubt anything will come of it but more hang ups.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

On September 20th I reserved a 10' truck and car dolly for my move from Vancouver WA to Salem, OR on October 1st. I was told that I would be called the day before to confirm the pickup location. Well I was called this morning and was informed that I have to go 14 miles into Portland to pick up the equipment. Why? There are three locations within a few miles of me. I asked and was told the other locations don't have the equipment. Well take it there because I'm paying you good money. I will never use Uhaul again. Every time I do it is a nightmare. Moving is stressful enough without this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

‎Thursday, ‎September ‎23, ‎2021

I am submitting this complaint against the Uhaul Corporation. In October of 2020 I rented a trailer from Uhaul and I was moving from Sacramento California to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. My first leg of the trip was from Sacramento to Reno, Nevada. After pulling the trailer over one of the highest mountain passes in California, we got a hotel room because something was definitely wrong with the trailer. My 20 year old son was following me in his BMW Z4 and we got like a Go camera so he could videotape the drive just in case something went wrong. Well it did.

The next morning we went to a local Uhaul dealer in Reno and explained to them what was happening. They in turn told us we must have loaded it wrong and to repack it. And assured us this was a normal thing and they were sure that was the problem and that the trailer was safe to pull. So my son and I spent all day repacking the trailer and then hooked it up to my truck again and took it for a test drive. The trailer was still bouncing all over the road and I felt like it was going to go off the road and take my truck with it. So we thought okay let's try it again but this time I discarded more of my personal belongings in hopes that would help to alleviate the problem.

Please note; I had already left behind almost every piece of furniture I owned because this was not a large trailer. So now I am just discarded items that were things that could not be replaced by any monetary amount offered. But now day 3 in Reno and I had a job I was suppose to start in less than 2 days. We had to get to Sioux Falls soon. So now after discarding my personal belongings and please note I was not even close to the maximum weight allowable. So again we do a test drive and the trailer was still bouncing all over the place and I was terrified of pulling it with my truck. Well another night in Reno and the next day I told my son I could not bring myself to pull that trailer. I knew something more than way I packed it was wrong.

So I had paid extra for coverage on the trailer if something happened. And I called the number on my contract with Uhaul and told them that I was unable to pull the trailer and Uhaul sent a mechanic out from another company they subcontract with. The mechanic checked under the trailer and in no more than 5 minutes stated it must have been in a crash or something and he could see where some things were repaired but the leaf springs had not been touched and that there was no way Uhaul and inspected or safety checked this trailer.

I have videos and pictures of everything he had pointed out and he confirmed how lucky I had been while pulling this trailer and he was not even comfortable to pull it less than 2 miles a way to another business subcontracted with uhaul where I was suppose to pick up a different trailer. (Please note in the pictures I have there Is a brand new sticker on the trailer that said it had just been inspected within the last 10 days.) Anyhow now I have proof of a video of me pulling the trailer with my truck and it bouncing all over the highway. You can literally see truck drivers passing me and actually driving on the outside on the far side of their lane because of how dangerous it was. Now I have a mechanic's testimony and pictures of all the mechanical failures of this trailer.

So now we go to this lot and of course wait and wait and wait until finally someone returned a trailer. Which of course the people at this business treated me and my son so badly, I mean terrible disrespect because the had promised that trailer to someone else and now uhaul I'm sure knowing they had extremely screwed up forced them to give us that trailer. Well it was almost closing time for them and in no way were they going to help us empty or reload the other trailer. They actually told us we had less than an hour to do this or the trailer with all my belongings would be locked in the yard and they would not give me any promises regarding the safety of my items and had even made statements how the yard had been broken into numerous times and it was in a very bad area.

So my son and I had less than an hour to empty and repack and it was 98 degrees that day. I want you to know those business owners and employees were nothing short of monsters and I suffer from Afib a very high risk heart condition and I thought I was going to have a stroke and my son literally killed himself to make this happen and to protect what little I had left.

So another day and finally on our way. Now the reality of that I could never make it in time to secure the job I was late to start. But now we had a problem with weather. If everything went as planned I would have had 4 days before the 1st South Dakota snow storm. But not only that my son absolutely cannot drive his car safely in snow or ice. But because of the delay now it's snowing in Rapid City, South Dakota and the main highway is closed. So now we had to go around the storm and get to Sioux Falls, South Dakota by going way out of our way thru Nebraska. Again more hardship and more financial costs with extra gas and hotels, etc. It took us over 7 days to get to Sioux Falls. By that time I had no job, and now had no options of renting a townhouse we had setup. No employment. I can also provide proof of losing the job with a written or verbal statement from the manager who had hired me.

So now I have to find a hotel to stay at that would accept 150 lb dog and my cat. Not easy and not cheap. I ended up completely spending everything in my savings on just surviving until I could find another job and then move into the townhouse. It took almost 2 months and all my savings almost $10,000.00. I had to rent 2 storage units for my personal belongings and 1 for my son's vehicle which could not be left in the snow. The townhouse we were to rent had a garage. All these expenses and all the loss would never had happened if Uhaul would have done what they are contractually and legally liable to do is to safety check and inspect the trucks and trailers that I paid 4X their normal amount to rent.

Not only did they falsely claim to have inspected this trailer, they had raised their rental fees 4X more than they had just 6 months prior and I can prove this they took advantage of having the monopoly on this business and price gouged all the customers that were leaving California at that time by the thousands. Also to rent a trailer from South Dakota to California was like said 1/4 less than going the other direction or go to South Dakota from Arizona and the cost was 1/2 or less than they were charging people leaving California. People leaving because of quarantine and the riots and the danger. How nice for this company to go to the utmost extreme of taking advantage of people during the pandemic. I have no doubt they ignored and/or shortcutted their safety policies because they were making 4X more profit.

So to make matters worse I finally was contacted by an employee from Uhaul after emailing them about what happened and wanting a refund, etc. I have voice mails to prove they did contact me. They gave me $200 for me and my son having to reload the trailer since their policy is to have their staff do this. But the woman I spoke with promised and again I say promised to call me in a few days and we would come to a financially benefitting settlement. She never returned my call at all, NOTHING!!! I tried to contact her, unable to. I tried to speak with someone who knew what was going on. I must have had to tell this story 20 times and all I got was more empty promises and lies.

At this point I had to focus on just surviving. And it has taken almost 11 months to get on my feet. It has not been easy. And my son and I still suffer hardship because the money in my savings was suppose to buy furniture. My kid sleeps on a couch from the thrift store and we barely have furniture at all. No kitchen table, no dressers, etc. I am still experiencing loss because Uhaul did not safety check a trailer they rented to me and also promised to make it right financially and just blatantly lied and lied.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Had a car in the shop. Saw the 19.95 per day ad on the side of rental van. Went in to rent van. Actual price was $44 per day after all fees, plus mileage. Was told van was full of gas. Was five gallons down. Will never deal with them again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I have a confirmed reservation from over a month ago. And a week before I get an email saying there are no trailer in my or the next province. Called and they repeated the same statement in the email. Why would anyone do business with a company that makes promises about something as important as an interprovincial move and then says, oh well, good luck!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I needed to store my belongings for about a month, so I reserved two U-Boxes and booked a local mover for my move out and move in dates through U-Haul's movinghelp.com site. Two days before my move out date, my mover called to tell me that they had been going to pick up U-boxes for other clients and being sent away because there weren't any U-boxes available. U-Haul's customer service line repeatedly redirected me to regional offices who couldn't help me, so I had to keep trying the specific office number until I got through to that office. The customer service agent said that they didn't have any U-boxes available because of "an error" so I asked her just to cancel my reservation. Both my U-box reservation and my Moving Help reservations disappeared from my accounts on those sites.

I worked with the local mover anyway because I had to be out of my apartment. I rented a truck and a storage unit and the truck rental guy said he'd met several other people who needed to rent trucks short-notice because U-Haul didn't have the equipment they had reserved, and most of them had found out the day of their move! Even though I couldn't see my movinghelp.com reservation, I was still able to pay the local mover through the website's system. Cut to a month later, I discovered that the second half of my reservation was never cancelled when a different mover from the same company called to tell me they couldn't find my U-boxes.

In summary, U-Haul let down a bunch of people moving in Wisconsin, my local movers, and me. As far as I know, they did not proactively reach out to any customers affected by the "error." Their website deletes reservation information without cancelling the reservation. I also couldn't send a review to U-Haul corporate without an active reservation.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Each U-haul dealer is dealing with the companies bad policies. I recently picked up a truck that they showed me on the computer was half full and I had to return it to half full upon return. By not giving you a full vehicle you have no idea how much gas you really used as it is just a guess. They have a tool on their "out" contract that shows you approximately how many liters this may be but certainly not a science as I drove 18 miles and put in $60 of gas. If you look on the website beforehand you could figure out how many MPG your truck gets, if that is the size you end up getting. Anyway buyer beware, lots of work to make sure you don't get ripped off for gas because of this stupid U-Haul policy that dealers have to deal with. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Having a hitch installed at UHaul was a most horrible experience. First of all, the hitch installation should have taken 1 1/2 hours; it took FOUR HOURS! We sat around with no updates and no Customer Service lounge. And, missed a doctor's appointment. Back to the actual work. The rear bumper, which had to be taken off, was scratched in the process. Next, we ordered a bike rack, which was also a total fiasco. Because the hitch installation took so long, the "mechanic" had no time to properly install the bike rack. Let alone show us how to use it or even understand how it worked himself. He wasn't even properly educated on how it worked himself (i.e., he had the "anti-wobbling" strap coming from inside of the car! Instead of from outside; my wife pointed it out to him).

Worst of all, in the midst of all of this confusion and ineptitude, he opened the hatch door of our brand new BMW X3, while the rack was in place, causing TWO dents right in the middle of the door. To go along with the scratches on the bumper. I don't know about their actual rental business, although I heard quite a few complaints during my 4+ hour stay in the office, but they should stick to that and avoid promising service on something that they have no right doing. I filed a claim with their insurance carrier. After 3 weeks I was told that it was "Tied up in Corporate".

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I had initially submitted for a rental on 5/12 for a one way trailer rental and received my confirmation. However when I went to inform the location that I'd be late I was told that there was no reservation and that the trailer was not available. My only option would be drive to Arizona (Glendale) and rent a trailer there and come back to San Diego to load. After no other options, I agreed. The next day, we arrived in Arizona only to find out that the location did NOT have the trailer and didn't inform us at any point that they didn't have any other options. The manager tried to give us the option of renting a truck but that it would cost us mileage and gas on top of other things. These options were not within our budget or what we had initially agreed to.

We were then told that another location had it, upon arriving (the manager knew we were on our way), he closed the lot for the night. We were then forced to rent a room in Arizona so we could wait to the next day. The next day when the lot opened, we saw the trailer and it was not what was advertised on the Uhaul website for at least a one bedroom apartment. We were directed to another location where the only call we received was from a reservation agent. Each time a reservation was updated, the information was incorrect.

When the trailer was found, it turned out to be an open trailer, which at that point we had no other choice. Upon picking it up two things occurred; One: we went over the contract, which is when I asked the question about timeline, We expected to drive through the night and be in San Antonio the next day (less than 48 hours of having the trailer) and would be charged per diem. The sales rep then said yes, it was per diem and whatever day we turned it back in the price would be prorated. We then also had to have the hitch wiring installed (which we later found out that this install damaged the wiring to my fuse box causing the signal/hazard light fuse to constantly blow). We left with the trailer only to realize that the tarp that we purchased was not given to us. We had to turn around and go pick it up because it would only be honored at that location.

When we arrived in San Antonio, we quickly unloaded and returned to the location. At this time, we had still yet to hear from anyone regarding the awful experience we had within the three day period. It was at that time that I learned about the fuses blowing, after visiting a mechanic I was told that our options were to fix the wiring or snip the hitch wiring to avoid it. I was not about to spend more money over Uhaul's carelessness, so I snipped the wiring.

To this date, I have not received a single call, email or letter from Uhaul about their poor customer service. Only one to inform me that the amount of almost $700 would be deducted and to rate my experience. I called back and informed them that this was not what was agreed upon and that someone needed to call me back as this was unexpected, not to mention costs to fix the issue of the wiring. NO CALLS BACK. I disputed with my bank and was just recently denied. Again, at no point did Uhaul contact me or try to resolve the issue by agreeing to at the very least half the cost. Their customer service is horrendous and they prey on those that just need to get things done without fully explaining the contract. They are too in a hurry for the next victim that they don't disclose everything to you. Nor will they actually listen to their customers to try to make the experience a little better.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I have never experienced such inefficiency, lack of empathy, and customer service as this experience with U-Haul. After the death of my mother I decided to relocate to be near my children as I have my own health issues and there is no other close relative around. My son came to pack me up and get me moved using U-Pods (as we had 3 years previous after selling the family home). He left his home for a month to be able to continue WFH during the day and getting me ready after work hours. First of all, we chose this service by past good experience and after researching other avenues... this is what we got:

-The initial issue came when the order we placed online was cancelled because there was no truck to deliver the U-Pods for weeks; he had to get a ride to the site, rent a pickup, load and deliver the 3 units one at a time. He was told that the fees for mileage and first month rentals were going to be removed because of the inconveniences.

-When he returned the 2nd Pod, it was discovered that there had been some damage (on site) to the 1st. *With all of the issues this has not been addressed formally.

-With one exception the customer service has been rude, ineffective, and incapable. The most annoying aspect is not being heard completely before interrupted and transferred from one incompetence to another, no one taking responsibility to hear and resolve issues created by U-Haul... not even and especially "supervisors/managers."

-The contract/online account was never accessible when customer service "corrected" the order; it was discovered that the whole process was in someone else's name, credit card (because they got an email about the order); and the units were never scheduled for shipment.

At this time we are waiting for a call from the manager who promised to straighten it all out and call by Tuesday. Still cannot see our order, don't know if or when or were our things are going to get here, I am physically moved with NONE of my possessions, our PRIVACY and someone's CREDIT INFORMATION is being exposed. If I weren't living it, I wouldn't believe it could be so profoundly messed up.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I rented a 20' moving 'van' and a car towing trailer. I also purchased several boxes and packing supplies. I made the reservation over a week in advance and received confirmation that the equipment was available. My pickup date was early morning the day before I had to move out of my apartment from a location within walking distance of my apartment. I arrived slightly early that morning to pick up the equipment, but was informed that the equipment was not available. The local Uhaul branch had the equipment present, but stated that they were coded for local use only and would not recode it for one-way moves.

They then sent me to the next closest store with equipment which was supposedly available. They assured me that the equipment and packing supplies were present there and apologized for the inconvenience. This store did not call to confirm equipment availability. I drove over 100 miles to that location only to find out that they did not have any van or supplies. They then called around to every local rental location and found one with confirmed equipment available. The clerks at this second location also said the third location would have my supplies as well.

I drove over another 65 miles further away to make the pickup, and finally successfully got the van and trailer. Unfortunately, this location did not have the packing supplies. I had to return to the original location (approximately 185 miles away) to pick up the boxes and such. Uhaul 'gave' me 175 more miles on my contract to 'compensate' me for the additional 185 miles I had to drive one-way. Uhaul did not do anything about the $100 worth of extra gas or 7 1/2 hours of time I burned. During this time I called my landlord and requested a 1 day move-out extension, but was denied and threatened with being charged a full month if I miss tomorrow's move-out day. I then returned home and worked for 16 hours straight (overnight) to pack everything up. I made my scheduled move-out inspection appointment with only 13 minutes to spare and passed it first try with no additional charges.

Uhaul's car trailer is a bit different than other companies. First of all, you cannot detach the trailer from the truck while loaded. The trailer's landing gear cannot take the weight. This means you have to unload the trailer in order to detach it from the truck to do things like loading the truck. Uhaul also does not have the low capacity single axle full car trailers. Those are nice because they lower the coefficient of friction and save a lot of fuel. The 'van' itself is exactly what I was expecting from a mid-sized fleet box-truck. There are 2 cigarette style lighter outlets, which was nice because I could charge my phone and use my Garmin which was in the kitchen drawer for a few years since I got a car with built-in GPS. The 'van' also came with air conditioning and warning triangles in case of breakdowns. Not all companies provide this with moving trucks.

The truck did not come with GPS or cruise control. There are rails along the left and right truck walls which you could use to tie-down light furniture and such, but I wouldn't use them for something really heave like tool chests, ATVs, or machining equipment. There are no medium or heavy-duty tie downs at all in the truck bed.

The turn in process was almost straightforward. I swept out the truck bed and ramp, which prevents a surcharge. I found out that I went 29 miles over my allotted mileage, 10 of which came from the pickup location change. Uhaul 'forgave' these miles 29 miles. I turned in the truck 6 days ago and am still awaiting a response to my e-mail looking for a fare reduction due to the extra 370 miles I had to drive on pickup day.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

WOW, what a great morning. We are moving in about a month which I have Hired a moving company to do the work but I always rent a trailer to bring the items I don't want to have broken. I made my reservation online which was very user friendly but after I gave them my credit card they stated that the trailer was not available at the facility that I chose. It said that a U-Haul rep would call me. I waited a week and no call so I called them to find out that I will not find out where the trailer will be until 24-48 hours before my move. I asked how far away they can go and she stated 100 miles.

So now I have to wait 1-2 days before I move and then drop everything to go up to 100 miles away which translates to 200 miles (100 there and 100 back) and I am in the Bay Area which could translate to 6 or 8 hours of drive time the day before my move!! Like I have nothing better to do the day before I move!! I would take my business elsewhere but unfortunately unless I want a truck nobody rents one way trailers. My only real option is to just go buy a cargo trailer which is just what I may do....

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

It is unfortunately the only option that is remotely in my area. It advertises $20, and then $1 a mile, until you get hit with a variety of hidden fees. Scheduling online was alright, except when the site crashed and I had to entirely refill out my forms. I got there at noon on the dot, since that was when I reserved it for, but the guy tells me "you are lucky if we have the truck" because apparently multiple customers had to leave without their reserved truck for the day. (He told me one guy reserved four weeks ago and still didn't get it due to a system error). After ten minutes of panic as he attempts to use the tablet, we get the truck. It is absolutely the bare minimum, no safety straps to secure my belongings.

I returned the truck to another location (as I had a one way trip) and the guy says to just leave it with the key in. It is now the next day and I have four missed calls from them, two voicemails (one which was incoherent and seemed like a butt dial), in the second voicemail it says I have not returned my truck. I call them getting put on hold for a half hour before speaking to someone. This still has not been resolved. Overall 0/10. I have to move again very soon and I will certainly not be renting another U-Haul. The stress of this experience has caused my entire move to be way worse and more stressful than necessary.

Original review: July 30, 2021

For ZERO Stars. U-Haul Hobbs, NM. Buying and closing on a new home is such a joyful time DECIMATED ERADICATED OBLITERATED via multiple cancellations by our local branch, despite multiple confirmations. Any positive emotion we could have had has been stolen by this company and now we face hundreds in losses from movers and fees that under the assumption Uhaul could follow through with their own policies. If given the option to move again through this company, or have my elderly father carry the entirety of my belongings on his back while wearing no shoes I’d pick my father. At least he would be reliable. I have never been so disrespected and disappointed by a company in my life. If you want to make the biggest mistake you can when it comes to moving, choose Uhaul.

Original review: July 29, 2021

This review is more about my experience with U-Haul's customer service - than the actual rental of the truck, which unfortunately, did not go as planned in the beginning. Bottom line is that I had to go to 3 different places before I could find the 26 feet truck that I had reserved. Having said that, I have to admit that I had never dealt with such a superb and sincerely concerned about me getting a truck, customer support representatives before! I spoke with 4 different scheduling managers. They each tried to help me get a truck, regardless of geographical boundaries.

I lived in NYC but for personal reasons, I reserved my truck out of Newark, NJ. They were very polite, very understanding, and they really went out of their way to help me find the size of truck that I needed for my move. But what really took me by surprise and made it all worth the minor inconvenience is that after I got to Florida and sent an email to their customer service, within 3 hours, Mr. Nick **, I believe a supervisor, judging by the way he was talking, was on the phone with me.

He explained to me that because so many people are moving out of the NY/NJ area, and very few people are moving from Florida to NY, they have to depend on their customers for when they will be dropping their trucks off and at which location and etc.. Obviously, that made a lot of sense but I was not aware of that when I wrote my email. Nonetheless, he was very apologetic about the inconvenience that I had experienced and he went out of his way, to make sure that I was happy with the resolution - and I was!!! Thank you Mr. Nick ** and it was a real pleasure talking with you!

Original review: July 29, 2021

We rented a U-Haul over three weeks ago to move our daughter to college TOMORROW. We just received a call—less than 24 hours before we were to pick up the truck—and we’re told they have no trucks available. Now we are scrambling to determine how we are going to move her. POOR customer service!! Never rent from UHaul!

U-Haul Company Information