3.48/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

1011 U-Haul Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

My husband and I made a reservation over a month in advance for 4 U-Boxes to be delivered on a certain Friday, to be delivered to our home address from the Manteca, CA location. We were supposed to be contacted 48 hours in advance to let us know the time of day they would deliver, but when this didn't happen, we called and they had no record of our reservation. When pushed, they looked it up that we indeed did have one and they had overlooked it. Unfortunately, because of their incompetent handling of our reservation, they only had 1 UBox to send to us, which arrived later that evening. They promised us that they would contact us the following morning and deliver the other 3 boxes that day as well.

On Saturday, we were not contacted until 1 p.m. at which time we were told that 2 UBoxes were leaving their facility to be dropped at our home, about 35 minutes away. By 6 p.m. we were still waiting. When we called the Manteca location, no one picked up and we were intermittently put on hold for over 2 hours with the call center, trying to figure out what happened. Eventually, we found out that the manager at the Manteca location did not actually send us the promised UBoxes as she did not have the staff/vehicles available to do so, and was leaving that day for vacation. We were shocked by the lack of professionalism and empty promises. At the very least, she should have picked up the phone and let us know that the boxes would not be arriving.

This display of incompetence and poor customer service/professionalism is inexcusable. On Sunday, the day we were supposed to be all packed up and the UBoxes scheduled to be picked up, the Manteca facility sent over 1 Ubox in the morning, and slowly brought the remaining 2, 1 by 1, throughout the day. We were able to fully load each UBox and had to wait at least an hour before the next one arrived. It was extremely frustrating. By the end of the day, we still had 1 box that was not picked up because the facility would not allow the driver to work overtime and pick up our last box (which was their own fault).

Not only did UHaul fail to meet every single reservation and promise to us, but they delayed our move and caused a lot of stress and frustration. We had to cancel the movers that we had hired as well, because there were no UBoxes to even move things into. We have never had such an awful experience with a company before and would not recommend that anyone use UHaul of Manteca for any of their moving needs, especially if the management continues to be the same.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

U-Haul is clearly out of control. Their staff in Ann Arbor is rude and uncaring, the 800 number does not answer and you cannot get hold of a manager. My truck broke down on the highway in Florida. Took 30 mins to get ahold of someone, repair guy showed up in 1 hr, I missed my flight. They cancelled my reservation of my second truck. They charged me an extra day, and just 109% don't care about their customers. They just brushed me aside each time. This company is stuck back 30 years ago when customer satisfaction was not important. Pay a little more for Hertz/Penske.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I reserved my truck over a month ago only for me to show up at the pickup site and the guy telling me he didn’t have one. The day before pickup I received a call that they had changed my location, and I was like okay cool. The day of pick up I spoke to the guy about my reservation twice and he said nothing about not having it. After calling the U-Haul line, and being sent back to the general main menu options line 5 times, we got through to someone who said they didn’t have any available within a 100 mile radius. I hired movers and everything and they could legit care less. No one offered any kind of solution. How does a rental truck company even operate this way? Clearly, people need their truck at a time for a reason. How do you not keep track of how many trucks you're renting out and end up not having any left for people who reserved one? That is insane. If I could do less than 1 star, I would.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I was informed after getting the truck that I would have to pay for an extra day just because I had the truck for 4 hours longer. Tried to talk to a supervisor and he had no mercy, just wanted the money. Last year had a great over the top experience with Penske. Had a far worse and much more expensive solution for their company, they offered a free rental to fix the solution. I have used U-haul over the years and wanted to give them another chance but they have lost a customer for life. I'm a Penske guy from now on no matter the cost. Dr. Daryn **

Original review: July 30, 2019

I booked my U-Haul with a local person I knew 5 minutes from my home. Upon arrival I found out that my pick up location had been moved 20 minutes away. I then drove to the next location which was a gas station. They had 1 person working the checkout and U-Haul. He did not know I was coming and was more concerned with waiting on customers. He didn't know what key or truck to give me and could not confirm the truck sizes. He could not pull up my reservation and when I tried to use the express pick up it was telling me to go back to original location and trying to charge me again. It took over 2 hours to pick up my truck and I had no paperwork or info. I spent 45 mins calling U-Haul afterwards to make sure I had been charged correctly and that paperwork was correct because the gentleman just wrote info down on a scratch piece of paper and sent me with the key. It then rained while I was driving and the inside of the cab leaked.

To return the vehicle I was supposed to be given an address nearby. I didn't receive one so I called U-Haul again and the lady who spoke broken English told me the place I was returning the truck to was 1 mile from where I was and that I would receive a text with address. I received the text and the location was over 30 minutes away. I had to take toll roads and put more gas in the vehicle. Check in took another 45 minutes and I left before it was finished because he couldn't get the app to work. So another 2 hours in wasted time. I will never use again. Do not use unless you have a lot of time to spare and like being frustrated!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 24, 2019

U-Haul is a good company, but I am surprised that they let agents take customer payment information (credit card whole number, expiration date, and CVV) from the comfort of their homes (agents working from home in the customer service/reservation department). As a former employee, I still have many lists of customers' credit cards detailed info from taking many reservations over the phone from my home (writing it down on a piece of paper, prevents me from making you repeat yourself). Honestly, all it takes is for our lists to fall in the wrong hands and that will be the beginning of huge nightmare for you. I have been a victim of fraud myself so as I am staring at these lists, I thought sharing this post is the right thing to do. I am definitely not saying don't do business with U-Haul; U-Haul is a great company, but their payment system over the phone can leave you vulnerable.

These days, it doesn't take much to sell these lucrative lists on the black market. You would probably never think of tracing it back to giving your payment info to a U-Haul agent. Reserving early guarantees you a better rate, that is true, but the form they use is no better than the form that is on U-Haul's website. Save yourself the headache, either go to a nearby location or have the agent walk you through reserving while you are on your pc. They key is to make sure you are inputting your credit card information from your PC, and that is true for any company with an online presence. If the agent is working from home, the chances are the company has that same form on their website and you can walk yourself through that form from your PC with the agent on the phone (in case you need clarification).

Original review: July 23, 2019

I reserved a U-Haul for Saturday. I got there at 9 and no one showed up until 10:40. I spoke with a man over the phone who told me the lady was only 15 minutes away at 9:21 and again she didn’t get there until 10:40! When I tried to call him back he didn’t answer the phone. THEN, I get in there finally and somehow my reservation cancelled (I had just been on the phone with their customer service and it was fine) The lady tried to put me back in the system and said that it was now rejecting my request. Then she said I don’t even have a truck that size!... Wth!

I was livid! Two and a half hours of my life wasted and still no U-Haul. I had to get a friend to help me get the items I purchased in his truck which took 3 trips to a location over 25 minutes away. Absolutely the worst experience I’ve ever had renting a U-Haul. Also when I called the customer service line I was on hold a total of 26 minutes. No one came back to the line to give an update or anything. I just sat waiting and waiting until I eventually hung up.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I went online to reserve a 4x8 trailer and selected a pick up and drop off location. I received an email confirming my reservation. Around 4 pm the day before the pick up they told me I was confirmed to pick up the trailer 40 minutes away from where I selected to pick it up. After numerous phone calls to try and find a closer pick location, they were unable to help me - they did say I could pick it up earlier (I guess to help avoid traffic - this was in Long Island). So we picked it up early... and they had the drop off/return location also different than what I had chosen.

They also did not do us any favors by picking it up early since you have to return it 48 hours from when you got it and we picked it up at 7am on a Sat in NY and so we were supposed to have it back by 7am in VA - which did not happen so they charged us an additional $22. We tried to find another place to get a trailer, but were unable to - especially the day before we needed it. We were dealing with a difficult family situation and U-Haul made the weekend SO MUCH HARDER than it should have been. They should be move the trucks/trailers to the locations that people reserve them - not have the customer drive all over the place to pick them up.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I went online to reserve a trailer a week before I needed it. The website asked many questions about my vehicle size and type of hitch I planned on using. The website asked me information about where I would like to pick it up and where I would dropping it off. It gave the types of sized trailers and moving material options. I made the reservation, and printed out my reservation number with all the details. The following day I stopped by the U-Haul location to prepay. They informed me that they don’t do prepay because the trailer may not be here and I would have to another location to pick it up. I tried to explain that I have a reservation for this type of trailer and your website said you have it at this location. His response was, "First come first serve.”

My question is why have a website that makes reservations? He told me to go back to the website and look because somewhere on it, it states your requested trailer size is not guaranteed to be at the pickup site requested. I looked at the website again and the only time it states it is when you print your confirmation letter, the last sentence of the letter in small print says “This location is a preference only”. Definition of reservation - the action of reserving something. I guess U-Haul doesn’t care about treating their customers fairly, instead they don’t mind doing the ole switch-a-roo at the last minute having the customer to jump through hoops. If that’s your policy put it on the website so people can see it, no small print after the fact!

Original review: July 19, 2019

Updated on 07/21/2019: I have 3 U-Boxes coming from Florida to California, they were supposed to be delivered on 7/21/2019 and my access date is on the same day. But the system notified me on the 13th that my boxes were delivered to Hayward, CA instead of Santa Clara, CA. So I thought they may be transferring them later. But waited for a week, and they are still there!! Contacted customer service several times, they all say my order will be delivered on time. But this morning which is 7/21/2019, when I was going to pick up my boxes, the destination U-Haul location said they didn't have my boxes!!!! What a messed up system, and they changed the destination without notifying me upfront!!!!

Original Review: My U-Box order was shipped to a different city which is 30 miles away, couldn't catch up with my moving schedule and I have to pay more to pick up my stuff. Called their customer service, but they keep transferring me to different person and nobody willing to solve my problem. Shame on U-Haul, the system really sucks.

U-Haul Company Information