1.14/5
  • 1 star
Based on 147 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

790 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I went to the U-Haul facility located in Hopewell, Virginia to rent an auto transport trailer. The rep at the facility quoted me a price of $329 since I was dropping the trailer off in Oklahoma. When I committed to reserve the transporter, the rental fee came up to $576 and the rep said her hands were tied and referred me to U-haul customer service for an adjustment for the misquote. I contacted U-haul customer service and explained the situation hoping to get a satisfactory response.

Since there was such a wide disparity in what I was quoted initially, in which I committed to vs the final reservation fee. I was seeking at least a $150 adjustment. The rep at the facility inadvertently quoted a truck/trailer combo fee. I explained this to the U-haul customer service department and the rep stated that she only had the authority to make a $100 adjustment and any additional adjustment must come from the supervisor. I asked to speak to the supervisor and she stated that he/she was not available at the time but will alert him via email and that I should hear from him. I never heard from the supervisor. I called back on August 30 and spoke to customer service regarding this issue and got the same song and dance, i.e., the supervisor isn't available, a death in the family. I, again, asked if there was someone there that I could speak with and I was emphatically told no!

I was not upset with the rep at the rental facility, she was very nice and personable. She made a mistake, human error. The U-haul customer service department leaves a bit to be desired in resolving customer service issues and concerns. I had no issues with the mistake but do have issues with how the customer service department relate to and resolve the needs of the customer. I am sure the next time I need services of this type, I may exercise some other options such as Penske or Budget. I would forewarn any prospective customers of Uhaul not to have any favorable results if you encounter a customer service issue with this organization.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

On Friday Aug 25 I made a reservation for a Car Dolly at the Old US 33 U-Haul location for Saturday 26 pickup. When I got there they said they don't have any available until Monday the 28th. When I arrived for the pickup they said they don't have any reservation but my name was in the computer. The 2 agents kept conferring back and forth until finally they found it. They said there were computer problems... Not my problem as I was running against a dead line. A sign inside the store says guaranteed reservation, "right equipment, right location, right on time." That definitely was not my case. I think I deserve the $50.00. It sure was not the terms we had originally agreed to. I will never go back there for any future rentals.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Reserved 2 weeks in advance. Confirmed day before. Went to pick up equipment. Not there. Were sent to two other locations before getting equipment. Did not go over any paperwork. Wrong car dolly and pulled front bumper cover off car. U-Haul refused to do anything. Half way on a 700 mile move, engine blows in 26 ft truck. Left along highway with two kids, my diabetic mother and three dogs in temperatures over 90 for over two hours. Finally towed to a location but wrong one. Stayed in motel, everything we own in U-Haul, and was to have a group of movers next morning to do a U-Haul to U-Haul transfer. Location was not set up for this type of transfer and they sent two guys to do this job instead of the four that they were to send.

Our items set out in high temperatures and then pouring rain. Again, another night in a motel. All food destroyed, and over $7000 in personal property damage, 800 in car repairs. RepWest asked for itemized list with cost. Did that. Now, no call backs. Did I mention, they didn't even put the right name on this rental? Did I mention that we were told to turn all this in for reimbursement? It's been 6 weeks and no resolution nor call backs. Are they for real? Attorney is next call and that will be put on with U-Haul expenditures as well. BBB contacted as well. Displace us for this long due to incompetency of customer service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I moved to a small town that only has U-Haul. I rented Penske from my old town, drove up, unloaded, drove back, and then drove my car to my new home instead of renting U-Haul one-way because Penske charged half as much for twice as many miles, but I reserved a cargo van through U-Haul to get the rest of my stuff. It would cost more, but I would only need to make one trip. I reserved the van at noon, wanting to pick it up at 4pm, but the site reset several times, and my 4pm kept changing to 5pm, which was when that location closed. I finally got my reservation, but when I went to pick it up, I was told they had never had vans, not once in all of the years they were open. The lady tried to rent me a 10' truck for the van price, but the system would not let her, and kept giving her other problems because I reserved one vehicle, but she could not give it to me.

At one point the rental was $180.50, but it ended up being $344.18, required a horrible amount of time, and the lady needed to call two different places to have them help her. She tried to charge me, but my bank blocked it, because U-Haul attempted to charge me twice, which appeared fraudulent. She tried again and U-Haul also tried to charge twice. I needed to call and let them know I authorized one transaction.

U-Haul charged twice again, but I did not realize until after I left. I am currently overdrawn. Since this happened after the close of business on Friday, my money will not be available until Monday or Tuesday. The truck only had a quarter tank of gas and I needed to drive hundreds of miles, but I was overdrawn, so I took back the truck immediately, and they charged me for one day and eight miles for a truck I couldn't use. I feel the lady did everything she could and I talked to another employee at another location that genuinely seemed to want to help, but it did not seem like the company let them do their jobs.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

As if not enough increasing rate per mile up from 70 cents to $1.09 for Friday and Saturday. They scam you for extra gas payments. They scamming us for extra gas money. Is to claim the Truck is under 7/8th so pay 10.00 more! Trucks do not have 7/8th marks only quarters. And the scam is they park the vans on a slope. That is plain cheating. Putrid smell of scamming.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017
I rented a car hauler to pull my son's car to Auburn University to start his freshman year. I rented the trailer from Norman, Oklahoma to Auburn Alabama one way.

I wanted to trailer his car so we could all ride together in the RV. We weren't halfway into a 800 mile journey and had a flat tire on the U-Haul car carrier. After looking at the flat tire it was completely bare of tread and the middle had the steel belts showing.

When the contractor arrived, very quickly and courteous for midnight he changed the tire and we were on our way. After we examined the other trailer tires they all had terrible wear and shouldn't have been assigned to travel anywhere. The contractor said we should make to our destination ok but when I dropped off the trailer at our end destination to let them know to change tires and do not rent it until it's done. When I called to report this to U-Haul office they initially said they would contact the rental facility. I've been renting trailer, trucks from U-Haul for 35 years and never had this experience. I requested a full reimbursement and they denied it. Shame on you U-Haul for service like this to a loyal customer of 35 years.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I had reserved a 26 ft U-Haul in preparation for moving within the same state roughly 13 miles away. When I arrived for pick up the location didn't have that size U-Haul, only a 20 ft. I was given the reservation guarantee of $50. Most likely we would have been able to make one trip with the 26 ft U-Haul, instead I ended up having to pay my movers more and pay for more miles as we had to make 2 trips. The movers charged by the hour and it takes a minimum of 30 minutes per way of drive time.

I asked at the local store if my miles could be decreased and the man checking us in said no and called the manager on the phone and he wouldn't even come over. He said he'd already talked to me. The store opened at 7 and when we arrived a little before we watched the manager open the door (after 7). He didn't greet us or even acknowledge we were there. Out of the 4 employees I interacted with for pick up and drop off 3 of them were rude and apathetic at best. They weren't accommodating to pleasant.

This however isn't even why I'm writing the review. I'm writing the review because upon leaving the local station after dropping off the U-Haul I called the 1 800 customer service number. The representative told me someone would call/email me back within 24-48 hours. After 48 hours I called the 1 800 number back and not only had no one reached out, but the representative told me no one had even reviewed my complaint. She said it went to the manager of the local store, I said I'd already talked to him and assumed it was going to someone at HQ. She moved the complaint to his boss and said he'd reach out to me within 72 hours. Again, the timeframe came and went and no one reached out.

I called back and again was told that no one had even looked at my complaint. I wanted to speak to someone at that time to resolve the issue as waiting for someone to call me back clearly wasn't working. The rep said she was chatting with her supervisor via text and he refused to take my call. I was to be transferred to "transportation". Someone would call me back first time in the morning. Yet again, that timeframe came and went. Days later I did get a voicemail saying they gave me the $50 reservation guarantee and they won't do anything more. It doesn't matter that their mistake cost me more than $50 at the end of the day. I could have gotten over not having the right U-Haul and paying more for movers and mileage, but the complete disrespect and indifferent attitude I received after calling customer service 4 times is unbelievable. Don't give time frames if you have no intention of fulfilling them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

On 8/4/2017 l made and paid for a reservation with U-Haul of Bandbox Music in Lakeport CA, for a 15' Uhaul truck. l heard nothing from them until the day before l was to move on the 17th of August. On this date a Uhaul representative from Bandbox Music called just 24 hours before l was due to pickup my "reserved truck" to say they could not obtain a 15' truck and offered a 10' truck in its stead. I explained to them that a 10' truck was too small and they offered to attach a trailer at no additional charge. I explained to them why that wouldn't work for me and was basically met with "that's all we can do". A call to Uhaul main office resulted in the same response and when l said l wanted a refund plus the promised $50 that Uhaul clearly offered on its reservation agreement or l had no alternative but to take them to court l was told, "Quit threatening us or l'll hang up"!

They, both at local and national level, were extremely unprofessional and lacked the knowledge of customer support! My granddaughter was able to obtain the truck l needed from a very professional Uhaul representative some 37 miles away and they brought it to me that next afternoon. The actions of the Bandbox uhaul representative and uHaul national resulted in my moving a day later than scheduled and at additional expense. DON'T BELIEVE THIER "GUARANTEE OF $50 REFUND IF THEY DON'T HAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT AS RESERVED READY FOR YOU ON THE DATE REQUESTED@. IT'S A LIE!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

When you call and reserve a rental truck, make sure you call another company and also reserve a truck. According to the rental agent a truck was available for me to rent tomorrow. This afternoon at 4 pm, the truck is no longer available. However, a much larger truck at a much larger price is available. Or, if you want, you could wait to move overnight Saturday as the truck is available overnight! Will NEVER call U-HAUL again. Carry on my back first!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I relocated from Arizona back to Chicago. On 7/18/2017, I called this ** place to request a Ubox. I was told that I could go to the location and a box would be available for me. Upon arrival there was no box and everyone was confused as to why I would be asking for a box. I was scheduled to fly out only a few hours after attempting to load my box (which was not available). I had my sons with me to load the box. Because nothing was available, I had to pay for movers 125$ that was not in the budget. The manager of the store suggested that I contact a supervisor at 800GoUhaul. THAT HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE!!! No one ever calls back, or emails or anything.

To top that off, I get my box as scheduled, BUT there's a 99$ charge on my debit card that I did not authorize. I called and the chick at the Indiana location had an attitude because I had an attitude! They tell you that someone will contact you within 24-48 hours. That does not happen! I am furious!! Forget the MOB. UHAUL are the real gangsters!!! It's just shy of 30 days and NOTHING!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I made a reservation 10 days in advance. Less than 24 hours before my move, they emailed me and changed the pickup time and location. When I called to complain the managers were rude and surly, and they didn't understand why I was even calling. Apparently a "reservation" with U-haul means nothing. Needless to say I had to change all of my plans at the last minute. If I had been told that reserving early meant nothing, I would have gone somewhere else. Horrible experience!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Please do not use Moving Help through U-Haul. They damage your belongings and do not allow for claims. If you ask about making a claim on your damaged personal property, then the company (i-move) notifies you that they will sue you. U-Haul Moving Help uses non-insured, non-bonded movers. I purchased insurance through U-Haul and they said that it does not include damages done by the movers. Lesson learned. Do not try to save $100 or more by doing a cheap move. I did not save any money because it costs me $500 to fix my damaged furniture. There is no customer service either.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I reserved a truck through a reservation with my old roommate. Since I wasn't comfortable with driving the truck, I put down my credit card information and my roommate's license number. My roommate neglected to tell me that he owes over $2000 to U-Haul, so they denied us from renting the truck. I tried to do it by myself, but now because I'm associated with my old roommate (whom I don't even speak to anymore), they have banned me from renting from them ever again unless I pay down HIS fines.

I've spent HOURS on the phone with customer service in order to get this resolved, but they absolutely refuse to help me and tell me that there is nothing I can do about this. The situation is extremely frustrating, because I am moving to Colorado later this month and had plans to spend over $1000 on getting all my things hauled out there and this has put a dent in that. Sad they would lose a paying customer because they don't want to put effort into helping their customers.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I am filing a legal complaint with the Minnesota attorney general. I am waiting on a refund in the amount of $1295.38 since U-Haul cancelled my reservation and they debited my checking account. I was due to relocate from Minneapolis to Albuquerque on Sunday, July 30, 2017. My reservation was made eight weeks prior. They didn't have a truck for me three days prior. On Saturday, July 29 I was summoned to the pickup location informing me a truck was ready. I had to arrive within 30 minutes since they were closing in a half hour. I took a Lyft to the store. When I arrived they informed me they lost or misplaced the key. They did not attempt to have a new key made from a master key. Meanwhile they had run my debit card charging my account. I never got the truck. They told me to return the next day at 9 am to get a truck. On that next day the line was out the door. The counter help made me wait in the line for two hours, always saying "wait a sec."

After two hours I never had a truck and they were renting trucks to customers who had placed reservations just the prior week. At that time U-Haul decided to cancel my reservation saying my money would be refunded "immediately" yet their paperwork declares this phrase that the issuing bank takes advantage of a federal regulation allowing up to five days for a refund. Of course banks know this is not the case since many refunds are processed immediately. The refunded amount appeared on August 1 but disappeared on August 2. U-Haul will not speak with me, saying they've severed all ties with me, although one district person did return my call about the refund in process. I used a different rental company to temporary move my belongings to an apartment unit since a new tenant was moving into the unit I had relinquished, thinking I was moving on July 30 out of state.

My apartment managers offered me free quarters in a downtown building for the week, however the cost of moving temporarily, paying movers and my delay has cost me an additional $500. U-Haul personally still considers my pursuing legal options, particularly with the Minnesota attorney general, as threats. This has been a horrible experience, much of which could have been prevented if the incompetent employees at 3545 Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis had cut a key for the truck they said was ready for me. These employees blew me off for two days, also claiming a higher power didn't want me to rent a truck. The experience was extremely physical and mentally stressful since I had planned this departure for two months and those plans were ripped out underneath me on what was supposed to be my departure day. I could not function for most of the day.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

We scheduled their smallest truck for a small easy move on U-Haul.com, and then immediately logged in and carefully changed just the day of pick-up, for a week later (with no other changes). 24 hours before our scheduled pick-up we got an email with a location change, truck size upgrade and a 1.5 hour pick-up delay. The dealer at the pick-up location clicked the 'charge for up-grade' button on his computer screen and we were charged (also paid more for gas) for the upgrade. When we dropped off the truck (one way rental) we were told what happened and that we would have to call 1-800-Go-Uhaul to be credited. BUT, 1-800-Go-Uhaul (after 15 min. on hold with spam messaging) would not talk to me or discuss the contract, because I was the wife. My husband (whose name was on the contract) had to call in and discuss what the drop-off location dealer told us happened. Then he was told he'd get a response within 5 days.

Ryan (Manager from the pick-up location at 14th Street in Cleveland, Ohio) told us that wasn't the case. That the 'Charge for Upgrade' button had been selected, but with the date change to the end of the month. All the equipment is at a 'higher demand' rate and the cost had just gone up for the smaller truck (we'd not been charged for the upgraded truck size we did not want). This is NOT the case. If you go to the U-Haul.com website and make a reservation the price for the truck is the same when booked in the middle of the month versus the end of the month. (Let alone, when booking a reservation online, your confirmation email does not give you a copy of your contract, it gives you a link to log in each time you want to view it. So, be sure to print out a copy and have it on hand!!!).

We were NOT given a higher price when changing our date of pick-up to the end of the month! We did not select the location nor delayed time of pick up or the up-graded truck, that we got a 24-hour notice for. We paid a lot more for the gas the larger truck took for the move. No one at U-Haul will listen to us and refund/compensate us for our extra charges/costs.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

First off they never answer their phone, nor their email complaints. Rented 2 furniture dollies and furniture pads which I never received nor given credit back for this. The truck had a leak in the roof which destroyed some of my contents and stained my mattress & box spring. Rented a auto transport for my car which the 16' foot truck was not powerful enough to tow it, gave it back to them within 20 minutes because it was impossible to move 650 miles pulling this car. They never refunded me a dime of its use. Wasted $281.00, also they ended up charging me $5.00 more on my credit card which they have not explained what this is for since I put in more gas than I should have in the end and went 90 miles under the allowed amount. BUT they WILL NOT answer their phone. On hold over 30 mins. No one answers their customer service phone.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have recently rented a 26' U-Haul truck to complete part of my move from Boise, ID to Temecula, CA. Upon returning the vehicle, I had several concerns about my trip and the quality of the vehicle I was driving. One of the employees forwarded me to the managers of the location, but they were out to lunch at the time. I have made several attempts at contacting a manager at the return location including leaving messages with their employees, on voicemail, and even returning to the location... each of them unsuccessful. Nearly two weeks later I have yet to receive the courtesy of a returned phone call, which is why I am now contacting you. I have previously written a well-crafted email with the details of my journey in the Uhaul I was issued, but that draft was inadvertently deleted, so don't mind if I get straight to the point. Here are my concerns with the truck I was issued.

When I arrived at the pickup location, I was greeted by the truck I rented. The external appearance of the truck told me that it had been very well used. Upon conversing with the manager of the pickup location, it was the only 26 footer they had and it was needing to be returned to Southern California. There was also no 24-foot trucks available. Advice that the manager gave me made me a bit concerned: if the engine begins to overheat, turn the AC off and open the windows... maybe even turn the heater on. No more than 50 miles into my trip through the 110-degree desert, the engine began to overheat. After following the advice given, the engine cooled to an operable level... so much for comfort. I never turned the AC on again for the duration of the nearly 1000 mile trip leaving me sweat-soaked and sliding on the vinyl seats.

When I initially got in the cabin of the truck to drive it to the loading location, I noticed it was exceptionally dirty. There were sunflower seeds in the cracks and crevices of the cab and grease on the steering wheel, shifter, and seat belt. The steering wheel was also falling apart, with chunks of foam vinyl falling off as I used the steering wheel. Upon starting the truck and accelerating, the engine was clearly misfiring... something the manager told me was "normal" for a truck this age in the fleet. As the trip progressed, I noticed the power steering was gradually getting worse. Turning into gas stations and parking lots was getting more and more difficult as time went by. The gas gauge is broken. I filled up the truck right before I began my journey and within 50 miles, the gas gauge showed only 3/4 of a tank remaining. I stopped to refill, but only used around 4 gallons to that point, so I surmised the gas gauge was malfunctioning.

When I had to turn the AC off, I went to open the window. As I reached for the manual lever to roll the windows down with, I noticed it was broken. The lever was missing the upper half where the wheel that assisted in cranking the lever was located and had sharp edges making opening the window difficult while driving as I had to carefully crank the remaining lever half turns at a time being careful not to gouge myself. From the beginning of my journey, I was searching for the OD (overdrive) button. Usually, it is expected to be on the end of the shifting knob, but it wasn't there.

After reading all of the directions and warnings in the cab of the truck (finding nothing) I searched Google to discover it was one of the switches near the radio. There was no label on or around the button to indicate that this was the OD button, nor was any warning light operational to tell if the button was engaged or not. This led to me wasting more gas than necessary as OD was off for the majority of my trip. When the Sun set and I had to turn the headlights on, the headlights were so dim that you could hardly see them. I was reliant upon the headlights of other vehicles to guide me, and when there were no cars around (which was more often than not), I would use a flashlight to help brighten the road in front of me.

Many of the above create incredibly hazardous driving conditions. As I drove up to the return location, I noticed all the new-looking trucks on the lot. This, coupled with all of the issues surrounding my truck, left me curious as to why Uhaul would allow this vehicle to remain in its operational fleet. It's not that I was looking for faults to complain about, rather, I was looking for anything to justify me spending nearly $1,000 on this moving truck and to return to Uhaul for my next trip from Boise to Temecula. More than anything, I feel like I paid $1,000 to return a truck from the Boise area to the Temecula area for Uhaul (this was another conversation I had with the manager at the pickup location when I asked if there was another truck available). I want to thank you for taking the time to read my message and for anything you can do to help make me feel like my experience with Uhaul was worth more than I feel it was. Thank you.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I rented a U-Haul truck on 6-27-17. I used it one way. They gave me 111 miles allowance. I used 83 miles. About a week later I get an email stating that I went over by 200+ miles. I disputed it and was refunded the money on 7-4-17. On 7-15-17, U-Haul took 74 cents out of my account (that's because that is all I had available). Today 7-26-17, they took out $40.94, again that's all I had available. I called and spoke with someone and they are re-opening my claim. I don't see how they can refund me and then take it back. Now I am flat broke until they refund me again. I will NEVER use this worthless company again.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Set up.. check. Payment... check. Delivery... never happened. Absolutely, hands down the worst customer service ever. No one calls back, no one writes back and the 4 pods still haven't been delivered after 2 months. Fool me once shame on you U-Haul, fool me twice shame on me... Never Again!!!

Original review: July 24, 2017

U-Haul is a joke they cannot do anything right but rent your equipment that's faulty. The only they care about is your money and how they can take it from you by not providing you with safe and reliable equipment and changing pickup time and location drop off time and location. All they care about is your hard earned dollar. Customer's services is a joke. The whole company should be shut down and all the employees fired. Nothing good about the company. No customer's service no value no professionalism.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Fractured Fibula and Tibia Exiting The Cab of A 26 foot Rental U - Would like to know if other people have made complaints about slipping off the top metal steps while exiting and fracturing fibula and tibia. In good weather... PLEASE let me know because they denied my claim against them.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I booked MovingHelp.com as an adjunct service after reserving a moving trailer through U-Haul. I had set up a MovingHelp moving order with Mark ** (LA area), on the Moving Help website as part of a Uhaul contract. It did not work out because of timing differences. I had a civil email exchange with Mark about that. So I went in and canceled the order on the Moving Help website. There was a checkbox that asked if I wanted to reschedule with someone else. I checked the box. Then there was a text box for comments. I filled that in explaining the scheduling conflict and asked for 1 of 4 other LA area movers.

A few hours later I get a call from Mark ** admonishing me for writing on his website. I explained I had not been on his website but the MovingHelper website and I had cancelled and put in comments. Apparently it went into his reviews and he was upset. I had no idea that would happen, I thought I was writing to MovingHelp. He kept saying "stop writing on my website" and I kept telling him I had not, I was on the MovingHelp.com website. He then threatened me and said if I did not stop writing on his website, he would have to hurt me.

How is it that I set-up moving help through the U-Haul website and I end up getting threatened by some thug? I contacted customer service at MovingHelp via email, because they openly say they do not accept customer service phone calls. Their email response was that they are a broker only and do not get involved in disputes with the movers they represent on their website. I cancelled the contract and will never do business with Moving Help again. I am not happy that a major business like Uhaul would offer such a poor adjunct service on their website.

Original review: July 17, 2017

We rented a U-Haul 26ft truck and car hauler several months before our military move from Alaska to Nebraska. We picked up our U-Haul truck the day of our reservation, and were asked if we wanted to go ahead and grab our car hauler as well. We asked if we could wait until the day of our move (3 days) to pick it up since we didn't need it just yet. The day of our move, 30 minutes before our scheduled time to pick it up, U-Haul called us and said our car hauler was not available and was 4 days out from arriving. Seeing as we didn't have 4 days to wait, my husband had to drive the U-Haul truck and I had to drive my vehicle, adding extra fuel to our expense and 3700+ miles and wear/tear to my vehicle. U-Haul's response? Discounting our truck expense $100. Getting U-Haul to refund the cost of the car hauler we never used has been nearly impossible.

When we called they said the refund should have already go through, but it's still not showing on our credit card statement. We have spent several hours on the phone with their "customer service" since we rented from them with little to no results. After calling again today, they said it would be another 3-5 business days until the credit shows up. Additionally, U-Haul offers free 1-month storage with any one-way rental. That's what we were told on the phone when we reserved the truck and that's what the large sticker on the dash of the truck advertises. No disclaimers, no legal terms, just 1-month free storage. When we asked about the free storage we were told there were no available units in our area and then they offered us their version of PODS for $60 a month each (we should have needed 5-6 PODS according to U-Haul for the size of truck we had rented $300-360 more). They basically pulled a bait and switch.

When we asked about them discounting the truck rental to cover the cost of the storage unit we had to rent ($115/month), they said there was nothing they were going to do for us. There were several most instances with U-Haul over the course of this period that were red flags to us. However, being in Alaska our options are somewhat limited with renting to go out of state. At one point our entire reservation (including the storage unit we had reserved when we first rented the truck) had been cancelled. U-Haul could never tell us what had happened, other than it was a glitch and that storage units were no longer available in our area. Had we not checked online to ensure everything was good on our rental, we would have been left high and dry the day of our move. The experience we have had with U-Haul has been horrible and I would not recommend using them ever.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Worst moving experience of my life!!! - and this is my fourth out of state move in the last 5 years. First time I had used U-Haul and I thought it was going to be convenient because they advertised that I could rent a truck and auto transport right down the road from where I lived. I made the reservation a week out and failed to read the fine print (that was on me), that said they could change the pickup location. Two nights before my pickup I receive a call that our pickup location is not down the street, but over an hour away!! I'm very glad that I set aside two days to load up the truck. U-Haul decides to compensate you for this by taking off $50, of which about half was wasted on gas. I was very disappointed and this was inconvenient, but I thought this would be the extent of the problems.

Then on travel day, the real fun began. We were about halfway through our 11-hour drive, when one of the tires on our auto transport blew. Since I only had my cell phone and not a Wifi connection I thought calling in would be the fastest means to contact customer service. After being on hold for 15+ minutes and not talking to anyone, I used the internet browser on my phone to submit a request on their website. I received a text that Bowles Towing, LLC had an ETA of 90 minutes to assist us (this company was 15 minutes away from our location, so I don't know why it would take six times as long to get to us). This was again another disappointment, but what can you do? You are at the mercy of the roadside assistance. I contemplated calling my AAA service to help us, and now wish I would have. So we waited in our cab while it poured down rain on the side of the highway for 90 minutes, and guess what? No one showed up.

I'm sure a safety liability too when it's pouring rain and we are just off the highway. U-Haul even has an ETA countdown after you submit the request and we watched it count all the way down from 90 to 0 and no one showed up. So again I call the customer support line, and am on hold for 25+ minutes without an answer (a reoccurring theme). I pull up the roadside assistance page on my phone again and open up the chat. Type in a few message, and all of a sudden I get a call from U-Haul while I'm still on hold. U-Haul's explanation: the towing company got called out on a police report, which takes precedent. Understandable, but why aren't we given an update or another towing service sent out to change our tire and send us on our way?

Just a reflection on both parties - the towing company for not letting us or U-Haul know that they would be late, and U-Haul for not keeping us updated and contracting with this company that obviously doesn't value our time. The end result of this? We are given another 45 minute ETA for this same towing company to assist us! 45 minutes go by. Nothing. Try to use U-Haul's chat and this agent tells me she isn't part of roadside assistance and can't help me! Call in and get put on hold again for 30 more minutes before I can talk to a representative. The representative tells me he is 5 minutes away. We are praying at this point. I don't know what he has been doing the last 5 hours and it is starting to get dark.

Finally about 10 minutes later the guy shows up. Wasn't even the same company U-Haul told was coming, but at that point I didn't care. Not so much as an apology for the delay either. Takes him 10 total minutes to jack up the trailer and put on the new tire. Total time left stranded on the side of the road? over 5 hours. If your roadside assistance is going to be so poor at least put a jack and spare tire on the trailer so we can do it ourselves! An awful customer experience from U-Haul, start to finish. Never again!! Budget, U-Pack, Penske, anyone else but U-Haul.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have never had to deal with the level of dishonesty and unprofessional behavior!! From the reservation process to the pick up location was extremely dissatisfying. I was told the wrong pick up location for starters (Manhattan Kansas) and also quoted a price that included tax and definitely paid way over. So after googling I found the location which was 30 miles out (Junction City KS). Then getting to the location I ran into the problem of the sales associate being unknowledgeable about the entire rental process which resulted in being over charged by $100.00 which by the way 2 weeks later I have not received a refund!! I would not recommend this location to any one using U-Haul!!

Original review: July 13, 2017

For obvious reasons, 3 months in advance I requested a newer truck to drive 2,650 miles across the country. U-Haul Dealer in New Hope gave me an older truck with 115,000 miles that had 2 loose side view mirrors that each made LOUD banging/rattling sounds once I got above 40MPH -- regardless if it was a smooth or bumpy road. The noise was highly annoying. (Even the radio could not hide it!) Picture driving with one person on one side of you quickly hitting a metal pot with a knife nonstop, and the other person on the other side of you quickly hitting a metal pan with a spoon nonstop.

Now picture that scenario driving... for 40 HOURS! I called to complain. The place I rented from said to call Roadside Assistance to help. I called them. Three separate times. On hold for a total time of 53 minutes, listening to an automated voice tell me over 30 times to "go online and complete our survey..." while also hearing the LOUD nonstop banging and clanging and rattling sound. Really? How about getting a live human being to pick up the phone and answer my call to fix a problem?

What was supposed to be a cool adventure driving across the country turned out to be a 40-hour aggravating trip with a LOUD symphony of nonstop banging and clanging and rattling sounds. There's a better chance I'll ride a camel across the country next time than there is I'll ever rent a U-Haul again. This vehicle should have been rented to a person who was doing an in-town move. Not rented to someone traveling 2,650+ miles on roads whose speed limits are 70-75MPH.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I am wondering if any of those who have published complaints here were contacted by U-Haul with attempt to resolve the issues. I had a hair raising experience with defective equipment. I have had positive experiences with U-Haul but the most recent near deadly scenario has eliminated prospects of my future patronage.

Original review: July 11, 2017

The experience of this company is of inadequacy, incompetence and lack of customer service from top down at all levels. A complete audit should be done. Phone calls not returned. Accounts managed? No. A project management team should audit the company, creating specific department for retention and liens, with authority to make decisions. On site managers should be available during business hours for customers. Invest in the branch employees, training them of the organization hierarchy and which department has what authority. The web's design should be overhauled for payments. A technical support team should be created and available to assist the customers and patrons. All are shareholders in the company. The personal opinion of this company is of inadequacy across the organization. Minus 10 would be the grade.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I purchased a 15' U-Haul from Uhaul.com. Received my email reservation # ** (look it up, it's still there). The reservation was for a 15' u-haul truck, pick up 4/28/17 in Norwich, CT and return 5/2/17 in Colchester, CT (did I mention the woman @ Norwich rental told my husband that we could not bring the truck back there?!) 4 days up to 30 miles. It is clearly stated on my on my reservation emailed to me by U-Haul. Dropping off the U-Haul my husband was informed that we owed an additional $237.92 for 4 days worth of overages. Somehow from point A, the reservation to Point B, the pickup location, the order was changed from 4 days to 1. This cost went from $179.50 to $417.42.

I have spent over 6 hours on the phone with U-Haul customer service. There is about 4 pages worth of notes from what employees are telling me. I have had the claim opened and escalated many times. I have had 3 promises for managers to call me back and I have been hung up on three times, I have been lied to multiple times and most importantly I have been stolen from. They have reopened my objection package... again. A manager has 48 hours to call me back. I suspect as usual, I will call them back this week, Thursday (the 48 hour mark) and get the same run around as all the times before. I would rent a horse and buggy before I would use U-Haul again. They are unethical crooks. I believe U-Haul has some kind of scam going on.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I rented on Sat 7/1 a unit from Ballwin, MO to be returned at 4055 N Broadway st. Chicago, IL. I had 3 days to return it and I went to U-Haul Broadway IL location on 7/2 at 4:00 pm to return it. When I was get to park inside one of the people working outside told me that I couldn't leave it at that location because they didn't have space for it. I parked in the return area (there was enough space for my truck and for several more) and went inside to talk with the manager ** who told me the same. He said I had to go to a different location 4.5 miles away to return it.

I showed him my contract which said that the return location was that one. I also told him that I had a crew at the apartment where my daughter moved in that I had to pay and I didn't want to be charged for extra time while waiting there. He persisted on his explanation. In the meantime they were accepting returns for at least four (4) more trucks they rented from there and when I asked why they receive them and not mine they said those were from that location, not mine.

Even if ** didn't want to sign my contract and check my truck gas level, I left it there, took the keys with me and left back to the apartment to take care of the movers. ** said that he'll take the van out from the site and it will be towed away. I called Ballwin office, explained to a lady there the situation and she talked through my phone with **. He didn't agree and gave me my phone back. While I was explaining the lady at Ballwin office that there was enough space there and I didn't have time nor was my responsibility to look for some other location where to return the van, she hung up the phone without allowing me to finish speaking.

I left the van there at 5:20 pm, walked to the apartment 5 blocks away, paid the movers and went back to U-Haul at Broadway again to solve that problem. When I arrived there ** was receiving back another truck and he made me wait for two other customers. I was respectful of their time and waited. When it was my turn I called back to Ballwin and put both an agent from Ballwin and ** from Broadway on speaker so they could figure out what to do. In the meanwhile a new customer showed up and ** left me alone. I respected the two previous customers but he didn't show respect with me leaving me on the phone while he was outside serving other customers. When he finished and came back he offer me to take myself the van to a location at 4.5 miles away and offered $40 in credit to do so. I asked him if he could confirm that the other location was open and will have space to receive the van there.

After calling that and two more locations he realized that they didn't have space either nor they'll receive the van. I explained him and the people from Ballwin that my responsibility was to care for the van and bring it back with a full tank of gas to the location stated in the contract. I did my part. If U-Haul had space issues, that wasn't my problem and I didn't have to solve it. Finally at 6:20 pm ** decided to take it in. I gave him the keys and left. I had to finish setting up my daughter's moving and go back to St. Louis.

That's NOT the way I like to be treated as a customer. I chose that return location for the proximity to the apartment we rented, that would give me enough time to help my daughter to set up her apartment. I didn't ask U-Haul to solve my problems nor I didn't share them with U-Haul. Please don't make me responsible for your problems. Solve them yourself. You're a big company and should have provisions for issues like this one. Do not treat your customers as I was treated by both locations. I'll think twice before renting again from you. I hope to have a compensation for all the inconveniences and time spent on something that should've take five minutes.

U-Haul Company Information