Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (1981 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I needed to store my belongings for about a month, so I reserved two U-Boxes and booked a local mover for my move out and move in dates through U-Haul's movinghelp.com site. Two days before my move out date, my mover called to tell me that they had been going to pick up U-boxes for other clients and being sent away because there weren't any U-boxes available. U-Haul's customer service line repeatedly redirected me to regional offices who couldn't help me, so I had to keep trying the specific office number until I got through to that office. The customer service agent said that they didn't have any U-boxes available because of "an error" so I asked her just to cancel my reservation. Both my U-box reservation and my Moving Help reservations disappeared from my accounts on those sites.

I worked with the local mover anyway because I had to be out of my apartment. I rented a truck and a storage unit and the truck rental guy said he'd met several other people who needed to rent trucks short-notice because U-Haul didn't have the equipment they had reserved, and most of them had found out the day of their move! Even though I couldn't see my movinghelp.com reservation, I was still able to pay the local mover through the website's system. Cut to a month later, I discovered that the second half of my reservation was never cancelled when a different mover from the same company called to tell me they couldn't find my U-boxes.

In summary, U-Haul let down a bunch of people moving in Wisconsin, my local movers, and me. As far as I know, they did not proactively reach out to any customers affected by the "error." Their website deletes reservation information without cancelling the reservation. I also couldn't send a review to U-Haul corporate without an active reservation.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Each U-haul dealer is dealing with the companies bad policies. I recently picked up a truck that they showed me on the computer was half full and I had to return it to half full upon return. By not giving you a full vehicle you have no idea how much gas you really used as it is just a guess. They have a tool on their "out" contract that shows you approximately how many liters this may be but certainly not a science as I drove 18 miles and put in $60 of gas. If you look on the website beforehand you could figure out how many MPG your truck gets, if that is the size you end up getting. Anyway buyer beware, lots of work to make sure you don't get ripped off for gas because of this stupid U-Haul policy that dealers have to deal with. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Having a hitch installed at UHaul was a most horrible experience. First of all, the hitch installation should have taken 1 1/2 hours; it took FOUR HOURS! We sat around with no updates and no Customer Service lounge. And, missed a doctor's appointment. Back to the actual work. The rear bumper, which had to be taken off, was scratched in the process. Next, we ordered a bike rack, which was also a total fiasco. Because the hitch installation took so long, the "mechanic" had no time to properly install the bike rack. Let alone show us how to use it or even understand how it worked himself. He wasn't even properly educated on how it worked himself (i.e., he had the "anti-wobbling" strap coming from inside of the car! Instead of from outside; my wife pointed it out to him).

Worst of all, in the midst of all of this confusion and ineptitude, he opened the hatch door of our brand new BMW X3, while the rack was in place, causing TWO dents right in the middle of the door. To go along with the scratches on the bumper. I don't know about their actual rental business, although I heard quite a few complaints during my 4+ hour stay in the office, but they should stick to that and avoid promising service on something that they have no right doing. I filed a claim with their insurance carrier. After 3 weeks I was told that it was "Tied up in Corporate".

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I had initially submitted for a rental on 5/12 for a one way trailer rental and received my confirmation. However when I went to inform the location that I'd be late I was told that there was no reservation and that the trailer was not available. My only option would be drive to Arizona (Glendale) and rent a trailer there and come back to San Diego to load. After no other options, I agreed. The next day, we arrived in Arizona only to find out that the location did NOT have the trailer and didn't inform us at any point that they didn't have any other options. The manager tried to give us the option of renting a truck but that it would cost us mileage and gas on top of other things. These options were not within our budget or what we had initially agreed to.

We were then told that another location had it, upon arriving (the manager knew we were on our way), he closed the lot for the night. We were then forced to rent a room in Arizona so we could wait to the next day. The next day when the lot opened, we saw the trailer and it was not what was advertised on the Uhaul website for at least a one bedroom apartment. We were directed to another location where the only call we received was from a reservation agent. Each time a reservation was updated, the information was incorrect.

When the trailer was found, it turned out to be an open trailer, which at that point we had no other choice. Upon picking it up two things occurred; One: we went over the contract, which is when I asked the question about timeline, We expected to drive through the night and be in San Antonio the next day (less than 48 hours of having the trailer) and would be charged per diem. The sales rep then said yes, it was per diem and whatever day we turned it back in the price would be prorated. We then also had to have the hitch wiring installed (which we later found out that this install damaged the wiring to my fuse box causing the signal/hazard light fuse to constantly blow). We left with the trailer only to realize that the tarp that we purchased was not given to us. We had to turn around and go pick it up because it would only be honored at that location.

When we arrived in San Antonio, we quickly unloaded and returned to the location. At this time, we had still yet to hear from anyone regarding the awful experience we had within the three day period. It was at that time that I learned about the fuses blowing, after visiting a mechanic I was told that our options were to fix the wiring or snip the hitch wiring to avoid it. I was not about to spend more money over Uhaul's carelessness, so I snipped the wiring.

To this date, I have not received a single call, email or letter from Uhaul about their poor customer service. Only one to inform me that the amount of almost $700 would be deducted and to rate my experience. I called back and informed them that this was not what was agreed upon and that someone needed to call me back as this was unexpected, not to mention costs to fix the issue of the wiring. NO CALLS BACK. I disputed with my bank and was just recently denied. Again, at no point did Uhaul contact me or try to resolve the issue by agreeing to at the very least half the cost. Their customer service is horrendous and they prey on those that just need to get things done without fully explaining the contract. They are too in a hurry for the next victim that they don't disclose everything to you. Nor will they actually listen to their customers to try to make the experience a little better.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I have never experienced such inefficiency, lack of empathy, and customer service as this experience with U-Haul. After the death of my mother I decided to relocate to be near my children as I have my own health issues and there is no other close relative around. My son came to pack me up and get me moved using U-Pods (as we had 3 years previous after selling the family home). He left his home for a month to be able to continue WFH during the day and getting me ready after work hours. First of all, we chose this service by past good experience and after researching other avenues... this is what we got:

-The initial issue came when the order we placed online was cancelled because there was no truck to deliver the U-Pods for weeks; he had to get a ride to the site, rent a pickup, load and deliver the 3 units one at a time. He was told that the fees for mileage and first month rentals were going to be removed because of the inconveniences.

-When he returned the 2nd Pod, it was discovered that there had been some damage (on site) to the 1st. *With all of the issues this has not been addressed formally.

-With one exception the customer service has been rude, ineffective, and incapable. The most annoying aspect is not being heard completely before interrupted and transferred from one incompetence to another, no one taking responsibility to hear and resolve issues created by U-Haul... not even and especially "supervisors/managers."

-The contract/online account was never accessible when customer service "corrected" the order; it was discovered that the whole process was in someone else's name, credit card (because they got an email about the order); and the units were never scheduled for shipment.

At this time we are waiting for a call from the manager who promised to straighten it all out and call by Tuesday. Still cannot see our order, don't know if or when or were our things are going to get here, I am physically moved with NONE of my possessions, our PRIVACY and someone's CREDIT INFORMATION is being exposed. If I weren't living it, I wouldn't believe it could be so profoundly messed up.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I rented a 20' moving 'van' and a car towing trailer. I also purchased several boxes and packing supplies. I made the reservation over a week in advance and received confirmation that the equipment was available. My pickup date was early morning the day before I had to move out of my apartment from a location within walking distance of my apartment. I arrived slightly early that morning to pick up the equipment, but was informed that the equipment was not available. The local Uhaul branch had the equipment present, but stated that they were coded for local use only and would not recode it for one-way moves.

They then sent me to the next closest store with equipment which was supposedly available. They assured me that the equipment and packing supplies were present there and apologized for the inconvenience. This store did not call to confirm equipment availability. I drove over 100 miles to that location only to find out that they did not have any van or supplies. They then called around to every local rental location and found one with confirmed equipment available. The clerks at this second location also said the third location would have my supplies as well.

I drove over another 65 miles further away to make the pickup, and finally successfully got the van and trailer. Unfortunately, this location did not have the packing supplies. I had to return to the original location (approximately 185 miles away) to pick up the boxes and such. Uhaul 'gave' me 175 more miles on my contract to 'compensate' me for the additional 185 miles I had to drive one-way. Uhaul did not do anything about the $100 worth of extra gas or 7 1/2 hours of time I burned. During this time I called my landlord and requested a 1 day move-out extension, but was denied and threatened with being charged a full month if I miss tomorrow's move-out day. I then returned home and worked for 16 hours straight (overnight) to pack everything up. I made my scheduled move-out inspection appointment with only 13 minutes to spare and passed it first try with no additional charges.

Uhaul's car trailer is a bit different than other companies. First of all, you cannot detach the trailer from the truck while loaded. The trailer's landing gear cannot take the weight. This means you have to unload the trailer in order to detach it from the truck to do things like loading the truck. Uhaul also does not have the low capacity single axle full car trailers. Those are nice because they lower the coefficient of friction and save a lot of fuel. The 'van' itself is exactly what I was expecting from a mid-sized fleet box-truck. There are 2 cigarette style lighter outlets, which was nice because I could charge my phone and use my Garmin which was in the kitchen drawer for a few years since I got a car with built-in GPS. The 'van' also came with air conditioning and warning triangles in case of breakdowns. Not all companies provide this with moving trucks.

The truck did not come with GPS or cruise control. There are rails along the left and right truck walls which you could use to tie-down light furniture and such, but I wouldn't use them for something really heave like tool chests, ATVs, or machining equipment. There are no medium or heavy-duty tie downs at all in the truck bed.

The turn in process was almost straightforward. I swept out the truck bed and ramp, which prevents a surcharge. I found out that I went 29 miles over my allotted mileage, 10 of which came from the pickup location change. Uhaul 'forgave' these miles 29 miles. I turned in the truck 6 days ago and am still awaiting a response to my e-mail looking for a fare reduction due to the extra 370 miles I had to drive on pickup day.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

WOW, what a great morning. We are moving in about a month which I have Hired a moving company to do the work but I always rent a trailer to bring the items I don't want to have broken. I made my reservation online which was very user friendly but after I gave them my credit card they stated that the trailer was not available at the facility that I chose. It said that a U-Haul rep would call me. I waited a week and no call so I called them to find out that I will not find out where the trailer will be until 24-48 hours before my move. I asked how far away they can go and she stated 100 miles.

So now I have to wait 1-2 days before I move and then drop everything to go up to 100 miles away which translates to 200 miles (100 there and 100 back) and I am in the Bay Area which could translate to 6 or 8 hours of drive time the day before my move!! Like I have nothing better to do the day before I move!! I would take my business elsewhere but unfortunately unless I want a truck nobody rents one way trailers. My only real option is to just go buy a cargo trailer which is just what I may do....

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

It is unfortunately the only option that is remotely in my area. It advertises $20, and then $1 a mile, until you get hit with a variety of hidden fees. Scheduling online was alright, except when the site crashed and I had to entirely refill out my forms. I got there at noon on the dot, since that was when I reserved it for, but the guy tells me "you are lucky if we have the truck" because apparently multiple customers had to leave without their reserved truck for the day. (He told me one guy reserved four weeks ago and still didn't get it due to a system error). After ten minutes of panic as he attempts to use the tablet, we get the truck. It is absolutely the bare minimum, no safety straps to secure my belongings.

I returned the truck to another location (as I had a one way trip) and the guy says to just leave it with the key in. It is now the next day and I have four missed calls from them, two voicemails (one which was incoherent and seemed like a butt dial), in the second voicemail it says I have not returned my truck. I call them getting put on hold for a half hour before speaking to someone. This still has not been resolved. Overall 0/10. I have to move again very soon and I will certainly not be renting another U-Haul. The stress of this experience has caused my entire move to be way worse and more stressful than necessary.

Original review: July 30, 2021

For ZERO Stars. U-Haul Hobbs, NM. Buying and closing on a new home is such a joyful time DECIMATED ERADICATED OBLITERATED via multiple cancellations by our local branch, despite multiple confirmations. Any positive emotion we could have had has been stolen by this company and now we face hundreds in losses from movers and fees that under the assumption Uhaul could follow through with their own policies. If given the option to move again through this company, or have my elderly father carry the entirety of my belongings on his back while wearing no shoes I’d pick my father. At least he would be reliable. I have never been so disrespected and disappointed by a company in my life. If you want to make the biggest mistake you can when it comes to moving, choose Uhaul.

Original review: July 29, 2021

This review is more about my experience with U-Haul's customer service - than the actual rental of the truck, which unfortunately, did not go as planned in the beginning. Bottom line is that I had to go to 3 different places before I could find the 26 feet truck that I had reserved. Having said that, I have to admit that I had never dealt with such a superb and sincerely concerned about me getting a truck, customer support representatives before! I spoke with 4 different scheduling managers. They each tried to help me get a truck, regardless of geographical boundaries.

I lived in NYC but for personal reasons, I reserved my truck out of Newark, NJ. They were very polite, very understanding, and they really went out of their way to help me find the size of truck that I needed for my move. But what really took me by surprise and made it all worth the minor inconvenience is that after I got to Florida and sent an email to their customer service, within 3 hours, Mr. Nick **, I believe a supervisor, judging by the way he was talking, was on the phone with me.

He explained to me that because so many people are moving out of the NY/NJ area, and very few people are moving from Florida to NY, they have to depend on their customers for when they will be dropping their trucks off and at which location and etc.. Obviously, that made a lot of sense but I was not aware of that when I wrote my email. Nonetheless, he was very apologetic about the inconvenience that I had experienced and he went out of his way, to make sure that I was happy with the resolution - and I was!!! Thank you Mr. Nick ** and it was a real pleasure talking with you!

U-Haul Company Information