2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I rented a U Haul on 8/29/2020 at 16823 Foothill Blvd Fontana, Ca. I was charged wrong. They gave me a contract with the price $492.42 but charged me $599.10. They stole an extra $106.00 from me. Also after paying for the 20' truck and auto transport the receptionist or cashier said that I could pick up my auto transport after moving stuff in truck. I get there around 5pm and one of the workers asked me to park the truck in front of the auto transport assuming he was going to hook it up.

They asked for my receipts and made me wait an hour after arriving on time to put the transport on the truck. Come to find out they were helping another customer with transport when I already paid for truck and transport. They gave my transport to another customer when I paid. This is unprofessional business and I want a refund. I had no where to go because they did not provide me with a transport. They didn't care about the situation they put me in. I want the two guys fired!!! That is no way to treat a customer with disrespect. I will file a complaint with Better Business Bureau and Attorney General Office.

Now I had to leave the truck at the U Haul location and drive somewhere to sleep and eat and go back to the location and find another U Haul that has auto transport because of your incompetent employers! This is a lot of stress and I am going to file a police report because I called the police. Also I just found out they sent me an email canceling my reservation so this tells me they canceled to make it look like I never paid for a truck and auto transport. So they ended up giving the customer the auto transport that I paid for by canceling what I already paid. This is unprofessional business and outrageous the two guys need to be fired! Patricia **

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Loaded 8 Uboxes with all of our furniture for a short (166 miles) move. Guaranteed arrival was 2 days ago, and when questioned the stock answer is "the truck is arriving today to pick them up." Been told this 3 times now and when pressed the customer service rep responded with the equivalent of "it is what it is".

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I did not interact with the storage location, this is a review of the customer service I received which was not helpful at all and I would rate as zero stars. My U-Box was guaranteed delivery August 7th, with a delivery to my condo August 8th. I never received notification that it was delivered in Chicago August 7th, or any update on when I would receive my ubox in Des Plaines on August 8th. I called several times for a total of 6 hours wasted on August 8th only to be told by every customer service rep they "don't know" when it'll be delivered and they don't know where my ubox is, and that they would have the drivers contact me asap (this never happened), they offered me several different numbers to call which all ended up taking me right back to the main U-Haul customer service line again.

I called the following day on the 9th of August and a customer service rep stated my ubox was not yet in Chicago and still in transit, something none of the customer service reps mentioned at all the day before, she offered $50 each day my ubox did not arrive. She then hung up on me without saying goodbye or asking if there was anything else I needed. Fast forward 3 days my ubox was still not in Chicago, I call uhaul August 10th and am informed actually my ubox was delivered on time on August 7th, so I am not owed any money (not sure why each customer service rep is seeing different things and telling me different things), this person who was on live chat ended the chat without waiting for me to respond.

Later that day I get a call from the scheduling department to inform me my ubox will be delivered on the 11th, this person was rude, interrupted me while I was talking, told me they were not late as my ubox was in Chicago since August 7th, and no one guaranteed delivery on August 8, despite me waiting at the condo for 6 hours and taking off of work to be ready to accept the box, and refused to follow through on the refunds I was promised by the prior agent. Mind you on top of all of this each wait time while I was on hold was an hour each time, and I would get transferred to multiple departments and people before actually speaking with someone. Not to mention every agent sounded like they were still in bed sleeping and completely incoherent. I will never use uhaul again, I will not recommend them to a friend, and I would give 0 stars for their customer service because it actually does not service any customers at all.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

From Start to Finish Horrible experience. 5251 N. Keystone Indianapolis In.

1. Dirty Truck
      2. Horrible Customer Service

3. Over Charging for mileage. (ALWAYS TAKE PICTURE OF MILES BEFORE AND AFTER.)

I ordered the 10 inch truck on friday for the following day. I received a call from a very nice lady, who advised me that the 10 inch truck was not available. I asked if the 10inch truck was available that Friday evening she checked and came back and said yes. I would have to be there by 7pm. I said no problem. When I arrived to pick the truck up around 6:45pm, the clerk advised it should be returned by 9pm. I advised the lady said 10 am. Another man turn looked at me and in a very rude manner stated the truck had to be back by 9 no. Instead he said, "8:45 because we have to clean the truck for a customer." I advised no problem. They gave me the keys to the truck (which was dirty when I got it).

I dropped the truck off around 10:30 pm and went back the more around 7am to drop the key off (as it was dark and I could not locate drop box). I went back to the location when they open to get receipt. The same rude man advised he could not find the key, am I sure I put it in the box, he know he did not take that key out the box. I asked him why would I lie about dropping a key in the box. He stated he is sure he did not take the key out that box and he did not have time to deal with this now. He had other customers to assist (like I was not a customer), he would call me when he finish. Well when he called me he informed me that I took the wrong truck.

Keep in mind I took the truck that they showed me and gave me the key to. (He never apologized for their mistake.) At this point he tells me that I went 30 miles, I advised I did not go 30 miles and I took a picture of the mileage before and after. The pictures I took showed I only went 17 miles. After I advised him what the mileage was he charged me for the 3rd time. I now have 3 charges on my account over $100. I called the bank only find that the charges have not been reversed. I called U-Haul again only to be given a reference number and approval number for the wrong receipt. I will NEVER use this UHAUL location again!!!!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Got a flat tire at a gas station in Montana around 8:00pm. Waited on hold for nearly 2 hours before anyone responded and submitted a request online. Finally got the tire fixed around 12:30 am. Very miserable experience.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I made a reservation for a 15' truck at the beginning of the week. I needed to move out on the last day of the month because another tenant is coming in after me. This is how moving works (you'd think U-haul, a company that rents moving trucks, would understand this). I get a call tonight at 4:18 pm (when I was supposed to pick up a truck at 9:30 am tomorrow) saying they don't have a truck at my "preferred" location. Preferred? How about the location I reserved? The only option was to drive 2 HOURS AWAY to pick up a SMALLER truck at NO DISCOUNT.

Um, excuse me? You mean, it's gonna take me a 4-hour round trip just to get the truck? In other words, half the day I had planned to be moving (and enlisted the help of friends, who also have lives and schedules of their own). The woman kept offering me a rental "at my preferred location" for the following day, which would have been too late. Again, do you not understand how moving and lease agreements work? She showed no empathy and acted like this way of doing business is totally normal--like there is nothing shady about U-haul just waiting to see what trucks arrive the evening before your rental and gambling with your plans.

Her manager was only slightly better and at least apologized. But he acted irritated and "business as usual" too. He said they were going to have to call 125 other people and break the same news to them. Are you kidding me? What a slimy, broken business model. Thankfully a kind friend offered their pickup truck so I was able to cancel my order. Never again will I patron U-Haul.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Do not rent from U-Haul!!! They do not "guarantee" a pick-up location. It's only a "preferred" location. I rented and was to pick-up at a "preferred" location and less than 2 hours before I was to pick-up the truck, they changed it to a completely different city. When I called and ask what was going on they said they have the right to change the pick-up location. What we put down is only a "preferred" location and they don't have to honor that. Sorry I was planning on picking it up from one location and then was upset because they changed to a different city. And not only did they change the location, they changed the time I was to pick it up as well. WTF!! Apparently they don't honor anything you put down on-line. I seriously hope they go bankrupt. Do not give them your business!!!!

Original review: July 29, 2020

2015 - We rented a box truck to relocate cities after my husband got out of the military. The truck we received had a broken fuel gauge. We filled the tank, dropped it off with the gas receipt and were still charged b/c the fuel tank registered low.

2018 - We rented a box truck to move from our rental to the house we purchased. We showed up to pick up the truck and the store wasn't open. After waiting in the parking lot for an hour, an employee showed up and proceeded to tell all of the customers that the person who was supposed to open didn't show up. He used vulgar language and was completely unprofessional all around. They didn't have the truck we reserved, so we were forced to rent a smaller truck.

2020 - We rented a box truck to pick up a piece of furniture. We made a reservation and arrived to pick up the truck. We were told they had no record of our reservation, so we were forced to do go through the process all over again. New truck, none of the extra materials we ordered with our reservation. Then U-Haul double charged us - once for the reservation truck and once for the new truck the store made us get. We've been trying to speak with the customer service billing department all day and after going through the menu options, it says, "I'm sorry, try back later."

If I could give negative stars, I would. How is U-Haul still in business when this is how they operate? It's ludicrous that I've required their services 3 times in 5 years, and have had issues all 3 times. In the event we ever need a box truck in the future, we'll use anybody other than U-Haul. Everything from the trucks themselves, to the store fronts and people that work them, to their customer service, is not just lacking. It's non-existent.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Extremely poor service. I picked up a Uhaul and car trailer to drive 2000 miles, 7/10/20, in Pineville, NC. I given a old car trailer and an old truck. There was no due diligence to ensure lights worked or these two equipments could travel that distance. I left at 6:30 am on 7/11/20, to start a 2 day trip. Within 200 miles, the car trailer bracket was broke. I had to stop in Jefferson, Georgia, and replace the car trailer that had a vehicle on it. (The personnel at that UHaul facility were wonderful). Then the connector on the truck to the trailer did not work. Delay of 4 hours. Back on the road and within 2 hours, air conditioner engine broke. I drove in heat and was extremely uncomfortable to reach Moss Point, Mississippi.

I stopped overnight and in the early AM contacted UHaul. A late fee was incurred waiting for the service man. He found that the air conditioner engine was broke and needed to be replaced with the needed supply not available until the next morning. I had to stay overnight in a hotel and the next morning drive without air conditioning to the repair shop. (Uhaul service personnel wonderful in Biloxi, MS) Another delay of 32 hours, with a late start to drive, on a scheduled 48 hour drive. In Houston, TX, the air conditioner engine that had just been replaced that AM, began stopping and starting for the duration of the trip. In July, the heat was almost intolerable. There is still a problem happening in the truck. Engine light is on.

I had to drive late into the night to reach my destination on early Tuesday AM. The trip I had scheduled (and have done several times), consisted of 2 days of day light driving. A 2 day drive extended into 4 days, with uncomfortable, delays and mandated night driving. I was expected to be home by Sunday, 7/12/20, but due to these repair delays from old equipment, I arrived instead in early AM 7/14/2020. I am not a young woman anymore, so this heat, delays, problems were very difficult for me.

The negative I had to absorb for this trip: Monday, 7/13/20, the day I had MY planned birthday celebration had to be cancelled (thanks a lot—63 years old, waiting for an old UHaul to be repaired, 3 States over). This is UNFORGIVABLE. Rescheduling of movers, as I had 2 storage rooms to load and unload, which had to be changed and rescheduled. Unexpected expenses for food, hotels, cleaning clothes, as I was not prepared for such delays for me and my dachshund. Unexpected traveling without air conditioning. Delay and usage of my valuable time.

There was NO Reason for the UHaul location in Pineville, NC, to give me OLD equipment that was not able to drive across the country, had not even had minimal maintenance updated on it, and no due diligence to ensure lights were working. I should have been given newer, functioning equipment that had a much better opportunity to drive across the county.

The truck they gave me had been in a previous wreck with the bottom of the truck torn and hanging off the truck. A sticker was on it, stating it had been previously claimed by insurance. Honestly, the Uhaul in Pineville, NC, just wanted to have someone rid them of this truck and the old car trailer. This rental had to do more with them getting rid of old equipment than giving me the proper equipment I had paid for and usually get from UHaul.

My life was put in harm’s way by UHaul renting me a defective car trailer and a truck that was not up to date on its maintenance. Not having an air conditioner in July on the Gulf Coast was not healthy for a 63 year old. I was charged $74 for returning the truck 1 day late, despite me being delayed 40 hours on 2 different repair stops. UHaul used to be a company where the equipment you rent was in good shape. No more. I was compensated $50 for my hotels, food, 40 hour delay, driving without air conditioning, and 2 stops for repairs.

Original review: July 22, 2020

This is my 3rd attempt to contact a supervisor or someone at U-haul who gives a ** about their customer service! Now the manager at Midwest city Oklahoma u-haul calls and gives me some freaking number to call my credit card company and tell them to take one of the charges off my statement! He charged me $121. and $116. So I was charged twice! Now I have to fix this!!! Is this standard procedure?

As I stated in the last email. I went online and reserved a half ton in Shawnee OK but when I got there it was closed and the lady on the phone said they took it to Midwest city. The lady at Midwest city was so snappy on the phone I just hung up. When I got there the manager stuck me with a van. I used way more gas than I would have in the half ton truck. I am asking for a full refund, if you ever want me to use u-haul again. This has been a nightmare and it's still going. Now I have to take time. I don't have to call the credit card company and write you all. Please email me.

U-Haul Company Information