3.9/5 (567 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: June 17, 2022

I reserved an 8' pickup truck, for a friend, online using a major credit card. I then called the 800# to confirm my reservation & payment options. My reservation was confirmed & was told I needed to be with the person at pickup time & a major credit or debit card would be needed. I later called to change the pickup time which was confirmed & also payment methods. When we arrived the next morning to pick the truck up, the 1st thing they told us is they didn't have a pickup truck available. I told them that I confirmed my reservations twice. Then they say, "We have a pickup truck but it's out of gas & we would have to go right to the gas station & the amount of gas the truck is returned with would be deducted from payment." Finally, they wouldn't take a debit card as payment! I again called the 800# & was told debit couldn't be used for pickup trucks & vans but the U-Haul website says even says credit or debit card!

Original review: June 7, 2022

How can I be forced to leave a one star when they deserve zero. Our family rented a U-Haul 26ft truck from Bloomington, MN to Colorado and it nearly killed me and my family. They knowingly gave us a truck with faulty breaks that leaked out and could of killed us. After contacting U-Haul they chose to do nothing. I’m deeply disappointed and need to make renters aware. I usually rent from Budget and should have stuck with them. At least they would have not put our lives on the line knowingly. Please be AWARE!!

Original review: June 7, 2022

I called customer service to setup a reservation for my long move. Customer service made the reservations but for the returns she made them for 3 different locations around the same time. That night I spent 3 hours on the phone just to hear, "Call tomorrow." Speak manager and so I did that she had me return all the equipment in 1 place. When I arrived and explained the situation that young lady advised she would credit me back my late fees because obviously this was not my doing, it was HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE that setup the reservation in the first place. My card was never credited back they charged me an additional $100 for their errors!!!! THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD with ANY moving company!! DO NOT USE UHAUL. THEY ARE TRULY THE WORST!!

Original review: May 28, 2022

We made a reservation at 9 am and so when we went to pick up the truck at 10:30 the contract said we needed to return it by 9 am on Sunday since that is when we made the reservation. The U-Haul store is closed on Sunday!!!! No one told us this but I can assume they don't so they can charge you for another day. "Once checked out I rec'd a text: if you are dropping off the equipment after hours please use your mobile device to verify your equipment return by going to this link: www.uhaul.com/Orders********. Or you can choose to have us verify it for you the next day for a $20 convenience fee." The app does NOT work!!! We spent an hour trying to checkout. As for their $20 convenience fee.... Really??? You can bite me! Never again. Budget Truck Rental is much cheaper! U-Haul gives NO discounts to AAA, AARP, or our proud Military/ Veterans. Pigs!

Original review: May 25, 2022

3.5 weeks prior to moving, made reservations for 20' truck + car transport, < 48 hours prior to pickup they called and canceled! I'd called 3 days prior to check the availability, U-Haul assured me all was fine. Beware of them and never pay up front.

Original review: May 19, 2022

3 weeks ago we reserved 2 26' trucks for a move, to be picked up at the same location. 5 days before the move day, they inform us there is only 1 available at that location and they would like us to pick up the other in the town next to where we are moving 2 hours away from our current home, we call and she locates a truck 30 minutes from our home but an hour away from the other truck. We spread the pickup times out so that we can get both. Today the day before the pickup, we find out only one truck is scheduled and there are no 26' trucks available. This gal states she can put us in a 20' truck with a trailer, but it is even farther away to pick up. This company is a joke and you cannot trust the online reservation app.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I’ve used Uhaul many times in my life and now, all I wanted was a bike hitch attached to my car. I call customer service and they book me for an appointment, where I paid the deposit and the overnight fee for the hitch cause they were out. Well, I get a call from the person the morning of the appointment, the one who would have done the install. He states the over night part never arrived and then, goes on and on and on, "Well, you just got the appointment yesterday and I wouldn’t have had time for you anyway." He also states customer service does not see his schedule. Oh really. And on and on and on. Like he was shocked I called and got an appointment without his permission or something.

Then he goes on to say, "Well, I can’t do it Thursday cause I’m off and I’m totally booked on Friday." And on and on and on again about my appointment and his schedule. Like I ruined his week. Well, he then states we may do Saturday, pending if the part was there and if I don’t hear from him on Friday stating the part was not there, he would call and let me know. Now mind you, I was supposed to leave Friday. So ok, Saturday morning now. Of course it's Friday now and lo and behold, Uhaul is calling but it isn’t him. Oh no, it's someone else claiming that he is off for five days cause he has covid now.

Well I’m sorry if he does have covid but after dealing with him, I highly doubt it. He and their customer service department (MANCHESTER CONNECTICUT facility) are just liars, making promises they cannot keep just to overcharge me. He was an ** to me and I knew when he stated that a overnight part might not make it three days later, yeah, this appointment was not going to happen. Oh do I get my money back, oh sure, in about a week or so. So no, I don’t trust you with my car now or any type of installation on my car.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Simply put, We tried to rent a truck for 3 days to assist in our moving to a new home. Made a reservation about a week out, was told that there was no issue truck was available. Got an email telling me my pickup location had changed to another city so I called and got my pickup location changed back to near my home and told them that I would require the truck for 3 days. Thought we were all on the same page at that point. Picked up the truck and noticed the reservation was for one day again, called later that day and was told the truck is not available for the 3 days I need it. Basically making it so I am just wasting my money and time by renting their truck as I am not able to fulfill the work I need to complete since they make it so difficult to schedule your own return dates. I will never use them again.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Zero stars if I could - U-Haul has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I requested a specific location for picking up a 10 foot truck and they didn't bother to call and ask me if there was another location that I could pick it up at - they decided that they knew best and chose a location that I didn't want. They put their mistake on me, the customer! They sent me to a location that I would not have chosen and after the fact it has completely screwed up my plans for using their truck. If you want good service - DON'T USE U-Haul!!!

Original review: April 1, 2022

The U-haul driver put my neighbors boxes on my property and when I called them (which was 5 times due to getting disconnected and transferred to numbers that were no longer in service) I finally get a number for traffic and the women would not even talk to me. Her receptionist said it would be Monday before they would pick them up and was very rude and hung up on me. So for a week I had to look at my neighbors boxes on my property and U-haul acted like I was the problem. Very disappointing and frustrating. And to make matters worse it rained and the area under the pallets has a sunk and now we have to fix our property.

Original review: March 14, 2022

With U-haul, my experience over the years it is hard to get a straight answer from anyone-they are just like the staff at a major airline. The story always changes even when something appears to be straightforward. I needed a standard U-box to ship w/in the US less than miles. Easy. The female rep at this location who assisted in setting up this need for me, who stated “I have been doing this for over 10 years” said my U-box would be delivered to the exact site I wanted.

I ordered this move about 2 weeks in advance total for the box drop off then re-picked up in town to be shipped. In the interim, she got me connected with a peer in international shipping to see if the, U-haul, could be competitive overall to ship my items directly to their final destination in Central America (my online research said there was no way would they be) so I would not have to us another shipper at a major US hub to ship to Central American. I said, "Okay, give it try but hurry."

First, they couldn’t get any answers from their international shipping partners. Finally, just before it had to be decided if it would go direct with U-Haul all the way or split shipping, I finally, after much pestering via VMs/e-mail and with my U-box being filled up, got an answer and the quote was insane-almost double what it would be between using the U-box + the international direct shipper! What a joke! And then here was the kicker at the same time-I learned from the manager, Erik **, at the Coors location that I still needed to give them the address of where it was going to be shipped. I said I already had given them that. No, he said, the U-haul location in the nearest major city. WTH?

In short, I fought with them but they would not budge on their original verbal promise by the rep I trusted because she had been “doing this for over 10 years”. This screwed up everything. I was battling with the location manager even on the phone while driving through Mexico to Central America. I asked to speak with the woman who lured me in to start at this location but naturally now she was out on the road every time I called in. I escalated it to the Regional Manager, Tom ** via phone and e-mail. Naturally, no response.

In the end I had to spend hours managing U-haul's project here and I had to pay my international shipping company almost $500 extra to drive 30 miles to the U-haul location where my stuff ended up, unload it, reload it into their truck, drive back 30 miles and unload it into a larger shipping container to be sent via sea. In conclusion, this was a total fiasco at a time I didn’t need it as I was permanently relocating and retiring overseas and these items represented the remainder of my personal effects. But then again, U-haul is a typical American corporation-always promising pie in the sky and rarely delivering.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Oh boy...where to begin....We reserved a truck weeks in advance and when my girlfriend went to go pick it up, there was no truck in sight. The local Uhaul rep was not to blame for this, as the truck was dropped off in a completely different location. However, we were then advised by Uhaul's "Customer Support" to drive over 50 miles away to pick up a truck at that location. Little did we know this is where the screwing would begin.

Originally it was going to cost us around $85. No big deal. We were moving to a different home in town so mileage wouldn't be a deal breaker anyway. However, since we had to drive to get it from another location and didn't want to drive it all the way back to turn it in, it was going to cost over $180!!!! They tried to excuse the fact and give "extra mileage" on the truck, even though that does us no good since again we were moving in town. Fine. We take the screwing and start moving.

When it came time to turn in the truck, we were told to turn it in by 6. 4:40 was approaching and I called the Uhaul location we were turning it in to and was told they closed at 5. I asked if we need to make 2 more trips to the new house, would it be ok to turn it in after 6. The rep said it was fine and they don't check the vehicles in until the next morning anyway. No problem. We ended up taking the Uhaul back at around 11 PM that same night....only to find out...WE WERE CHARGED FOR AN ENTIRE EXTRA DAY!!! Another $59.40, making this "local move" cost almost $250. My God Almighty I was livid. We were told there would no extra charge since we had it back that night...but nooo....let's screw a little more.

I called Uhaul while in a very livid state of mind, and found out I would be on hold for about 20 minutes. I took the callback option...and 2 hours later...got a call back saying that even if it's 15 minutes after 6 PM, they charge you for an entire extra day!!! To hell with that. Had we known that...we WOULD have kept it for an extra day. This is the BIGGEST scam in the moving industry...ever...hands down. Uhaul...you can haul your ** straight to hell for this kind of crap. Gas is already insanely high and it cost us over $40 to fill it back to the half-empty tank it already was...which again...wouldn't have been necessary HAD IT BEEN IN THE RIGHT LOCATION TO BEGIN WITH!!!! Hands down the WORST company I have ever had the "pleasure" of dealing with.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

If you are looking for a truck rental service, do NOT use U-Haul. I rented a $20 truck for a quick furniture pick up and Uhaul overcharged me. Over $200 in charges on my account for what was advertised as a $20 truck, and I only drove it a short distance from my home!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

This is the second time we've used UHaul within the past year. BOTH experiences were TERRIBLE. We relocated from PA to SC in July. In PA we had a uhaul truck rented (email confirmation to prove) with a pick up location 10 minutes from our house. We got to the uhaul store, where the store manager was completely RUDE and DEGRADING and said there was no truck for us there and we had to drive AN HOUR to get the truck and AN HOUR back. No additional miles were added. It put a 2 hour delay on our move which was a burden when we were driving 9-10 hours that day after loading the truck.

This past weekend we rented a uhaul to load everything from our storage unit on beaver run road in surfside, SC. My email confirmed that the truck was to be picked up at the storage facility location and dropped off later that day in Myrtle Beach, SC. My fiance went to pick up the truck with the email confirmation and AGAIN was told there was no truck for him there. He had to drive 30 minutes to myrtle beach to pick up the truck, 30 minutes back to the storage unit. Then for drop off he went to the location on the email and it made him go BACK to surfside to drop off the truck. ANOTHER 30 minutes EACH WAY. Uhaul has been a terrible service, and instead of your employees be helpful and kind, they were rude and arrogant. I will never recommend uhaul to anyone and will never use them again. We are extremely disappointed with both experiences.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

One of my most horrible experience at moving was with Uhaul. I book a van over the phone with 2300 John st Markham Ontario. At the pickup time the store owner never helped with the rental. He just gave me the key to pick up the van. The van supposed to be 107 if my millage was around 60. When I got the receipt, They have charged me 450$ for it.

When I contacted them they are saying that their terms have been updated and they are charging me for the van that was broken because I accepted the term and conditions which indicates I accepted to pay for the van damages even if it was broken when I picked it up. I never was notified by store owner that van has a black plastic on top of it which is broken or damaged. Here is the way management emails with complete ignorance about the situation and put all the fault on client. Even I sent them several images of the pick up time they never accepted the pictures. Clearly they just want take money from people making up reason for it.

"Hello Kajhal. Thank you for contacting us. Our records show that a Confirmation Access Link was sent successfully via text to your phone however, our records also show this link was not used. The Confirmation Access Link is used to verify the condition of the rental equipment, including cleanliness, damage, odometer reading and fuel level. If anything does not match the pictures you would have approved, you can note it on your contract. This includes the odometer reading and fuel level as you have the opportunity to dispute either of those levels at time of dispatch. Please also be aware that our Rental Contracts have been updated to include a stipulation that if the Confirmation Access Link is not used, then you are accepting the condition of the equipment as is , along with the fuel and odometer readings as show on the rental contract. Regards U-Haul Customer Service."

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

They are a stain on my first time home buying experience. 1) I booked the moving help service through U-Haul, and the moving company contacted me and told me they couldn't work with my time. So I had to cancel and re-book, using the credit they gave me. However their credit does not fully cover the cost of re-booking through their site. I literally re-booked within a couple of hours and the prices were drastically different. Expect to pay an extra $40-80. 2) I had questions when I was trying to book my new reservation and decided to use their chat function. After typing in my question, I received a reply saying I would be responded to within 1 minute. I never got a response. I waited for over 30 minutes before closing the chat.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I did the 24/7 pick up and the app wouldn't let me take a photo so I couldn't advance. Had to call them and wait on the phone for 10 minutes to get someone...who promptly hung up on me! Then I called back and she hung up on me again. I'm at this point 20 minutes trying to pick up a simple truck. Finally got through to someone who let me just email my photos and ID so I could get my keys. Then when bringing it back it wouldn't let me take a photo of the mileage and gas tank. Then I get a bill for $133 on what was supposed to be a $75 bill and their wait time to speak to anyone today is over 20 minutes. I will not use this company again. Biggest hidden cost expensive hassle I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I have reserved a 10' truck online. They asked for all of the information about me: Address, a credit card and phone number, date of birth etc.... When I got to the location to pick up the truck they asked for two more phone numbers. Yes, for them is not enough one or two but three phone numbers. This is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty much they need the phone numbers of your entire family in order to rent a truck for 4 hours. I gave up and went to Home depot and rented a truck.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Do not hire Moving Help of U-Haul. They are fraud. They do not show up, do not provide services and do not refund money. I hired Moving help to unload U-Haul truck. They did not show up. When I called them, they told me to cancel the services. I had to hire another moving services. Had to take another day off. Paid premium for emergency services. Paid one addition day rent of the U-Haul truck. Moving Help will not refund my money. They told me to contact the movers. Movers told me that Moving Help did not pay them money. Moving help gave me a code to give movers when service is completed. Movers did not show up and I did not give them code. Without code they are not paid.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I'm not trying to disrespect their rental services; in fact their services are adequate for almost any person. My huge complaint here is with their customer service department. After having a heated but civil disagreement with a what I assume to be regional manager of some sort about a scheduling issue with a freight pickup I understood that the CS department has their thumbs way too far up their rear ends to care about anything that customer has to say. Keep in mind they are well within their rights to do this but they would rather lose a loyal customer and any future business with that customer than offering even the smallest amount of compensation towards a future rental with their business as a sign of good faith over a scheduling issue with a $20 trailer rental.

If that doesn't scream "We only care about our bottom line" then I don't know what does. The main point to take away from this is unless your moving plan goes without any problems or issues every step of the way then I would rent else whereas I don't think U-Haul's century old customer service model will help you very much.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Rented a U-Haul ubox. Worst experience ever. Never told me what time they were dropping off the box. Had to call customer service and wait 30 minutes on hold the day they were suppose to come out to get any idea of when it was being dropped off. Then had to call to get them to pick up the box even though I had already set a day for them to pick it up. Old landlord had to complain to me for me to know that they never picked it up. Now at my destination, delayed by at 8 days because they were late picking it up, they want me to pay 80$ to have the box delivered after I paid all fees online. Only other option was to pick the box up myself which requires a forklift. So I cannot get my things back from them until 80$ additional fee is paid and of course this fee only comes after they have my things. Complete nightmare experience from day 1. I wouldn't recommend this service to my worst enemy.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I made an online reservation for a 15' truck for a 110 mile move. Two days before the move U-Haul calls me and tells me the place where I reserved my truck does not have it available and I would need to go an hour away to pick it up. When I asked for the next size down (10 Foot), I was told there was a shortage and again would need to travel over 20 miles from my home to pick up a truck. I ended up cancelling my reservation and paying more money with another company but it sure was a lot less of a hassle and I got unlimited miles and an extra day with them vs. 175 miles and a one day rental that U-Haul was giving me.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

My husband and I drove to Asheville, NC, Sweeten Creek location to check out of a unit and rent a U-haul truck to drive back. We went to U-haul, rented the truck and started loading the stuff from the rental unit. We had 1 bag with some Styrofoam in it and I asked if there was a place we could dispose of it. My husband with hurt leg came hopping back from trying to put the bag in the garbage bin and he says, "The guy with the red hair says I can't put the bag in there." The employee whom I asked says, "I can't see why not." Well then I go into the store to buy a lock and asked the clerk Kijana what would it have hurt to let us to put one bag in the bin. Conflicting permissions. I said on top of it the guy spoke rudely to my husband. Kijana, the clerk says, "What. The fat guy? He's my manager." I said. "No the red headed guy."

The red headed guy came in and I asked the same question. He was quite rude with his answer and I told him so. Kijana said, "I am taping you" and I paused. He started taping and saying, "You are trespassing and you have to leave. You will not get any service." I stepped back and stood at the door. Kijana said, "You have to leave. You are trespassing and I am calling the police." He pushed the button for the police and we waited for the Police outside. Asheville Police Officers saw the silliness of this matter and told us that one clerk said he would not to wait on us. We still needed to return some boxes. We left. We were belittled for pointing out rudeness. After this and many years of using U-Haul we will never again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Terrible service. I rented a truck and received a cargo van and had to make more trips to do my moving. The website information is fake because I received a different solution from my order. I chose a location close to my house, and the pick-up location was far. The attendant tried to offer less equipment than what I rented. When I returned, the attendant said the fuel level was low and for my luck, I took a picture to prove that he was wrong. I don't recommend the U-Haul service to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I've been renting a storage unit with U-Haul for almost a year now. Signed up for $109 unit next thing I know I'm paying for insurance I didn't ask for nor need . Then they raise the price without informing me okaying it.. Then literally charge me a $30 late fees after paying the storage unit 5 days later how does $109 plus tax equate to $161.52.. paying for the unit isn't a issue but as an existing customer you should be informed or give some type of authorization before your contract details change... I could be wrong but to me this feels very sneaky and is very unacceptable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

We arranged to rent a 4x8 enclosed trailer 4 weeks in advance. Called VIP in Stillwater, OK because the reviews stated Bobby D's was rude and difficult to deal with. VIP took all our information. Today (3 NOV), the day we are to pick up the trailer, we get a text message at 10:21 stating the location for pick up has changed to Bobby D's and was to be picked up by 9:00am. We called the number on the text and the OKC U-Haul office states they had sent us numerous messages starting on 1 NOV that the location for pickup had changed and Bobby D had spoken to us. We NEVER spoke to anyone from u-haul this past week, much less Bobby D and the only text we received was today. Then the uppity lady on the phone says, "well, we can cancel it for you." Knowing full well U-haul is the only business in Stillwater, OK to rent enclosed small trailers.

I finally got Tonya, the supervisor, who changes the pick up time. Not even an apology, but insisted Bobby D spoke to us. In other words, I was called a liar. She stated we had to call the OKC office to make changes to a reservation, not the place we placed our reservation with. I stated that U-haul made the change, not us. Insane! We will never, never use U-Haul again. I would rather buy a small trailer than have to put up with inconsiderate, uncooperative and ridiculous business practices.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I find a 1-star review to be very fitting. For my most recent experience, I’d give a zero if I could however I’ve rented from U-Haul over a dozen times. Each time has had its share of frustrations ranging from disgruntled employees, rude employees, to the truck needing maintenance to having to run to a different location to pick something up. However, this is the first time U-Haul completely flaked on our reservation and as a result, cost us over $10,000 in additional moving expenses. Their lack of responsibility and resolution to the situation is truly beyond words.

Our home sold at the beginning of October and we’d need to be out by the 30th. Soon after accepting our offer, we booked our reservation for a 26ft truck. This truck was to transport all of our 3br home from Carlsbad, CA to Austin, TX. We were shocked to see that a one-way truck would be $5500 but given the times, we were fine sucking it up. To help support our move, we bought plane tickets for family to come in to help, rental cars to help convoy back to Texas and of course, lodging along the way. When booking online, there were instances where we saw certain locations could not guarantee our reservation but we made certain to book one that could. Additionally, it was stated with our reservation confirmation that an agent would reach out to us the day before to confirm the exact location of our truck as pick-up location could be different.

Sure enough, they called as stated however it was to inform us that there were ZERO trucks available in all of Southern California. As if they didn’t see this being the case way ahead of time. I was literally in disbelief as we had so much riding on this reservation. The less-than-empathetic associate on the phone stated our only alternative was to get 6 pods dropped off and once shipped, we’d have our belongings in 4-6 weeks. I asked to speak to the manager and of course they weren’t available. I asked to have them call me back and of course they didn’t.

At this point it was clear that we had to solve U-Hauls mess. We were able to find a shipping company that could move us in such a short time frame however we had to pay significantly more as it was full-service and our only option at this point. So what was a $5500 move was now $13,500. Of course, that’s not including the additional $2000 for having to cancel non-refundable plane tickets, rental cars and hotel lodging as we no longer needed any of it. Side note: In calling around for new moving options, I found it interesting that almost everyone stated they heard about U-Haul doing the same to someone else recently. We were most definitely not the first as we were starting to see a trend.

In the end, U-Haul offered us their standard $50 reservation refund. Aside from this being insulting given what we had to resolve (and pay out of pocket) it’s really unfortunate that companies of this size can get away with this. Bottom line, people don’t want an apology, they don’t want $50, they want a reservation they count on. If U-Haul can’t offer that then they should assume financial responsibility for their lack of ability to manage rental equipment. Reservation #: **

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I rented a U-haul U-box for my moving needs. I had so many issues I genuinely cannot even count. I will recount a few of them here. First of all, their service is terrible. I was hung-up on several times during calls to U-haul. They were unable to give me details about my delivery or pickups at all. I was completely in the dark. When my U-box was being delivered to my original place of residence for loading, they scheduled a moving company in error who could not drop off the box. Forcing me to cancel, and delay the box delivery.

My box was not delivered on time, due to a truck breakdown or something. No one from U-haul contacted me to inform me of this, I had to call U-haul to find out what was happening. The box is still at my new apartment, empty, and has not been picked up on time either. I was hung up on again when trying to find out if I was being charged extra for their mistakes and late delivery. U-haul is a horrible service. Use someone else, literally anyone else. It will save you hours of wasted time on hold only to be hung-up on. Even if you get through after waiting on hold for up to an hour or more, they will likely not tell you any useful information.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

We booked a reservation for a van months ago for our move from New York to Chicago. We had booked a 16' trailer with a car trailer. A week before we were set to move we received a call from U-Haul that there were no moving vans available in the state of New Jersey, New York, or Connecticut for us to use and they were cancelling our reservation. Our lease is up, we had hired people to come help us move, and a week before they completely pulled the rug out from under us. We were then forced to quickly find another company (who actually guarantees they will have a truck for you to use) for more money because U-Haul is unable to make any sort of guarantee of their one single service. I have never dealt with a more disorganized and ridiculous company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My reservation was for a truck and moving blankets to be picked up at 1 pm on a Friday. U-Haul called me and changed the pickup location to another city because, as I found out later, my truck was rented to another customer. This is not the first time I have experienced U-Haul's first come first serve policy regardless of reservations, but it will be my last! The new location had no moving blankets, did not inspect the truck, and called me while I was driving from the airport to the location to check me in and tell me where I could pick up a key (at a local furniture store).

Everything was done via phone and text and then I was checked in as having taken the truck before I ever arrived. There was no registration information in the truck or any copy of my rental agreement. Fortunately, I was not stopped by police during the drive to Massachusetts. They are stripped down bare bones cabs with no insulation. The truck was very loud and handled poorly. Gas mileage is nowhere near the estimated 10MPG.

On returning the truck: U-Haul apparently will grant a rental franchise to anyone. This convenience store had some retail items in disarray in the back. They were put out I was bringing back blankets. They asked me to back the truck into a tight space after they checked in. They were not able to give me a receipt or any return paperwork. They said they would email it to me. When I got it is was all zeros no confirmation of final payment if any. I returned the truck a day early and expected a credit. The phone app and the computer app they were using both had technical issues and could not pull up the truck I was returning. I am done with the poor customer service that U-Haul provides. There is no value in renting from that company.

U-Haul Company Information