2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Take a Moving Companies Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: June 29, 2020

We wanted to start a recent local move at 7am, and scheduled a truck using U-Haul’s 24/7 service. We received a confirmation email, and when I checked the night before, my time was still listed as 7am. Lo and behold, when I got to U-Haul at 7am, I was told through their online system I could not pick up the truck until the store opened at 9am. I received absolutely zero correspondence that the time had changed.

When I called customer service, they had the nerve to A. Tell me it was my fault because I had not confirmed the reservation (What? There was no way to do this), and B. Send me to another phone line for scheduling help that they guaranteed me would be open at the time of my call, except, of course, it was not. When I finally came back to pick up the truck at 9, the site provided only one of the two dollies I had asked for and paid for, also with no advance notice. I was able to get some money back by DMing U-Haul on Twitter, but I will never use this company again for anything related to moving.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Whoever did this invoice are thieves!!!! You charged $135 then you reimburse the money yourselves under oil change!!!! Because it wasn't reimbursed to my bank account. I will be reporting this to the Better Business Bureau!!!! No wonder you never responded to my email.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Rented a truck and trailer. Day before pick up received a call that the trailer broke but there is another one 25 miles away. Get a call the day of pick up that the trailer is not available, the guy refuses to return. I make arrangements for following weekend, received text confirmation. When I go online to check on order, my reservation is canceled. The local U-Haul locations will not answer the phone, I was told that they are too busy. Stay away from this place.

Original review: June 19, 2020

GO WITH BUDGET. THEY GIVE 20% DISCOUNT which was 30% cheaper then U-Haul. My story: 1530 I made a reservation to rent a truck from U-Haul in N. Charleston, SC at 0730 the next morning. I called the location to add a hand truck for my move. I had a guaranteed reservation or "we will give you $50." BEWARE OF U-HAULS GUARANTEES, THEY ARE WORTHLESS! 1715 I received a call from GIA from the U-Haul call center. She said she was sorry that the location never set up my reservation for an online pickup. The store will open at 9am.

I had already arranged to be dropped off at the interstate exit by my neighbor on his way to work and now I needed to wait in a not so desirable neighborhood. GIA was unable to find me a better location. I asked for my Guarantee $50 and she laughed at me. I asked for a supervisor, next came TISH an area manager. USELESS and not willing to help. Bottom Line: I now rent with BUDGET. Military TEAM, Budget gives 20% off your move.

Original review: June 12, 2020

My name is Jill ** phone number **. June 5, 2020. I made a reservation to to pick up UHaul at the grab in go store. A manual contract had to be done because uhaul system was down. After approximately an hour and half of phone calls between customer service and the authorization approval people, nothing was ever accomplished. However, I received notification that two transactions in the amount of $54.20 each had been taken out of my account. For the manual contract I was asked to give my card number over the phone. The last person I spoke with from uhaul over the phone was impatient, wouldn’t answer my questions, and disconnected from me. 2 1/2 hrs. Goes by and no progress. I had to pay for an Uber to get home.

The next day I called about the money that should not have been taken out of my account, and uhaul employee told me that wasn’t a problem on uhaul end that I need to take it up with my bank. I called back and spoke to another uhaul employee and she stayed that the money was just on hold and it would be released within 48 hours. It’s been a week now, I called again and was given 2 authorization codes, and told to call my bank and give them these codes, and hope for the best. I have run out of patience, and this is unacceptable. A supervisor with knowledge of all the details beginning with the reservation I made, needs to contact me within 24 hours, with the solution that will be acceptable by me, for this to be resolved. Or further action will be taken, Thanks, Jill **.

Original review: May 24, 2020

It doesn't matter whom you speak to; you will get a different answer, including cost. I rented two boxes, and only one arrived at the correct destination in twelve days. However, they were unable to find the other box. Eventually, it was found still sitting in the original city that it was loaded in, and it arrived close to three weeks later. When I called the General Manager in Georgia, she said my 'compensation' for their error was that I would not be charged anything additional for the box to be sent to the correct location. In other words, Uhaul wouldn't charge me for their screw up. I questioned her about some of the charges and let her know that I had verified the fees with three different people. She stated that she dealt with this all the time and that it is an ongoing problem.

Pretty much nobody knows what they're doing. When I got the second box, all the totes were upside down or on their side with the contents everywhere. The first box's door was bent to the point that I could not get the lock off, and after finally getting the lock off, to close again, I had to use a hammer. If you are looking for a cheap way to move and Uhaul sounds less expensive than hiring movers, DON'T DO IT! You will regret it, and in the end, it will not be cheaper!

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have used UHaul before with no real problems, but this time reserving 3 weeks in advance to be safe. Got a call 24 hours before picking up that no truck would available and needed to travel 75 miles further to pick one up. What's the point of making reservations if not to have equipment reserved? Had made plans and appointments scheduled based on original reserved date, but now needed to change or cancel due to this inconvenience.

Meeting with realtors, who's schedule I was on for a move-in, to Medical appointments, which were even more difficult to reschedule due to their traveling to different offices weekly, and had to cancel physical therapy due to the delays interfering with their schedule. Called corporate office and representative Very cordial and directed me to scheduling. Same story, "maybe in a few days". No help there reserving, first come first served, and additional travel beyond the 30 miles involved. They have us as a captive audience when in living in a rural area.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I rented a U-Haul truck on April 28, 2020 from Lake Charles Louisiana and paid $641.35 for my truck $51.05 for moving equipment and $325.00 for moving help. When I arrived at U-Haul in Lake Charles Louisiana and started the mobile pickup I was informed of a $100.00 deposit due to me paying with a debit card. On May 1, 2020 I returned the U-Haul truck to my designated drop off location, followed the instructions in the mobile app and called the U-Haul customer care line to assure the drop off information was submitted correctly. The lady that I spoke with assured me that everything was good. I asked the agent about my $100 deposit because I only received a refund of $65.00 and she told me that was my refund minus the extra day and insurance on truck. I then asked her about the $5.95 handlers fee from the movers and was told about making a review before I would receive that refunded to my account.

Today at 4:47pm my card was charged $89.40! I call customer care center and spoke with an agent that had no clue about my $100 deposit and tells me that the extra 89.40 was for my late return! I asked to speak to her supervisor (Samantha) which also could not explain to me about where my money went and why or how my deposit went missing through the mobile app, why I was over charged at the time of pickup and that’s why I received the $65.00 and why I was told on May 1, 2020 that the extra day was taken out of my deposit and the $65.00 is what I had left. I was also told the $89.40 was taken because that was my extra day with the truck and she reopened my reservation for her higher up team to look at.

I don’t know if this is an issue with the mobile app or the U-Haul employees don’t knowing what they are doing. Why am I missing my $100 deposit and another $89.40 has been taking from my account? I have used U-Haul over 6 times in the past 10 years and have never encountered these issues until I used this mobile app but after dealing with my money missing, nobody can explain where my money went and the company is still taking money from me, I will never waste my time with this company again! U-Haul has stolen from me and my family! I am a very disappointed customer and out of $189.40 with horrible customer service and lies from my agent on May 1, 2020 nobody has yet to help me!

Original review: April 9, 2020

U-Haul rep were awful. No one knows where my box is or the correct contract number. Customer and managers have terrible attitude and refuse to respond to their mistakes. This company is terrible and I will sue them if I do not get my stuff back.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Rented a 15 ft truck in Lee’s Summit Missouri to move furniture to Naples Florida approximately 1500 mile trip, truck was so noisy. We had a difficult time communicating in the cab. When we got to hot temperatures in Florida I turned on the air conditioning and it only blew hot air. We called the company and reported it, thus we had to drive 7 hours sweating in the truck with the windows down. I then reported it to the U-Haul drop off point. It has now been 6 weeks and have not received any contact from the company, thus we will never use the U-Haul company again. I am considering disputing the 1600.00 charge on my credit card. So beware if you are renting a vehicle!

U-Haul Company Information