Find a Movers partner

3.8/5 (1418 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had a great experience today at U-Haul. The store associates Stacey and Belinda were very friendly and helpful. They gave great advice that helped me decide what reservation I needed to make. They were awesome!!

Original review: June 22, 2021

I reserved a trailer to pull one-way from California to Wyoming online and selected a location pick-up 10 miles from my house because it indicated there was a trailer available there. I received a confirmation. At 4pm the day before I was supposed to pick it up, I got a phone call from a business 80 miles away saying that they had my trailer at their lot. He was calling because he was concerned that U-Haul might not have let me know the location had changed and it was far away (actually a 2 hour drive because of the roads). U-Haul had not let me know. I called and there were no other trailers any closer, and it was too late t find another option, so 80 miles there and 80 miles back I drove.

When I made my reservation, even though I put my destination as Jackson, WY, the drop-off location was given for a town in another state about 45 minutes away. I had no way of knowing that there was actually a drop-off in Jackson. When I tried to change the drop-off location after finding out I could do it 45 minutes closer, U-Haul said that they would charge me double and "there was nothing they could do." So, I dutifully drove the extra 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back. When I did drop it off, there were MULTIPLE trailers like mine, so U-Haul clearly did not NEED it in that location. They must have a horribly antiquated computer system to not be able to make a simple location change. I will go out of my way to avoid U-Haul in the future.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Customer service was terrible. They changed my pickup location to a place over 150 miles away. So I cancelled and rebooked in a town that was closer (Vegas). I called to confirm after hours pickup. They weren't sure if the location provided that. They changed my pickup location again. I called to confirm a 26' truck would be available for after hours pickup. Pay for an Uber to go to pick up location. Truck is boxed in. After waiting on hold for an hour, customer service couldn't help. Had to book a hotel and pay for an Uber to the hotel so I can pick up in the morning. Picked up in the morning. Incorrect mileage and a bald tire. Tire blew 20 miles down the road. 45min on hold waiting for roadside assistance. 45 minutes for them to find a provider. Over 90minutes for someone to show up to change the tire. Had to cancel the movers I booked because it will be too late for them. Customer service is sorry for my inconvenience.

Original review: June 10, 2021

So I have been trying to move from CO to NV and they have made it a horrible experience. They randomly canceled my 26' truck rental. I had to call to figure out why. Every time I called I got redirect to New Mexico, Texas and Alaska all saying I had to get the CO office they are the only ones to help you. After calling within 2 minutes of them opening I finally got the correct office. Just to be told they are not letting the large truck leave state anymore because too many people are leave Colorado and no one is moving to CO. That is ** since we all hear and see the reports of the house sale. Then they say they can only give largest trailer for out of state. It became apparent they are just trying to do multiple rentals to get more money instead of supplying what people really need and using there stock.

I have seen tons of 26' at the 4 different U-Haul I went to in person. All saying the same that they won't let those trucks and trailer leave the state. I then tried to by a tow hitch and have it shipped to me and said it would be here in 3 days. It is now 5 days and all they sent was the ball and clip both I can get a Walmart or O'Reilly for 1/2 the price. I used to use U-Haul for all my moving needs for the last 10 years. I don't know if it is a CO thing but I will never use them again. A bunch of scammers.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I ordered a trailer on the 800 number several weeks prior to my moving date (tomorrow). I was explicit that I wanted to pick up the trailer at one of the many Uhaul dealers in my town the morning of my move (I live in a town of 125,000 people...there are many locations). The representative told me that I would receive a call the day before to let me know what dealer I would pick up the trailer from. I was fine with that. On the day before the scheduled move, I was notified via text that my trailer could be picked up in a neighboring southern state to me, over 1.25 hours away from where I live. That would add 2.5 hours back and forth when I was expecting to move in the morning. This is not even practical.

I called the 800 number to try to sort this out and was on hold for 50 minutes waiting to speak to a representative. I was transferred numerous times, the rep always saying, "I'm not the one who can help you". When I finally got to the right person, they told me I was out of luck, that no trailers were available in my home town. She told me that this was the end of the month and it is not uncommon for this to happen at this time of the month??? Now I have no trailer for my move tomorrow. When I got off the phone, I called the dealer locally to make sure no trailer was available...and was basically told that "Uhaul does this many times to customers". I am livid about this and will NEVER do business with Uhaul again.

Original review: May 26, 2021

U-Haul corporate office in Phoenix AZ just hung up on me after poorly explaining why they won’t issue a 50% credit for a problem during my move. When I made my reservation I had the representative submit an application to MovingHelp.com, a third party company that will schedule a local mover to help your move. Unfortunately he submitted my information wrong, a clerical error, but as a result my move was delayed several hours and caused added stress because the mover couldn’t contact me to confirm the schedule.

Out of frustration I initially asked for a full $300 refund as the services were not delivered adequately, but I told the corporate rep I’d settle at 50/50 since I did ultimately still use the service. He said $100 was all he could issue but would not further explain why, and when I asked him for a third time to explain he said “I’m sorry we can’t resolve this further for you, you’ll have to take it up with the local manager.” And hung up on me.

I’ve now been on FB messenger with a rep who says they offer a $50 refund for an unfulfilled reservation and as they’ve already offered me $100 there is nothing more they can do. She also offered a $30 U-haul gift card. Uhaul, are you really telling me you don’t have $50 in petty cash to resolve this to satisfaction? That sum is nothing to this company but to me it’s a week of groceries. Appalled by the lack of customer service when the company is at fault.

Original review: May 22, 2021

The company policy of charging for a service without being able to fulfill the reservation is very disappointing. I had an appointment for a truck that was not available and never was and a different reservation with moving helpers that were also not available and never was. The people at the U-Haul store was very helpful and took care of the truck portion. I had to go and find my own helpers even though UHaul charged me before I ever had any moving help. Their refund takes 3-5 business days but only took them minutes to charge for a service they could not perform. To sum up I was charged for two different services that UHaul could not fulfill and never had the ability to fulfill at the time they said they could.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Short version: go with somebody else; Penske, Budget, local outfit, anybody but Uhaul.

Long version: I made a reservation for a 26' truck and when I drove 30 miles to where they had the size I wanted, I was told it was not available: even though it was parked outside. They told me I could rent a shorter truck and drive another 20 miles to get a 4' x 8' trailer. When I got the trailer the chains were dragging on the ground: not just a little, a full foot of each chain was dragging on the ground. I decided to not use the trailer since I could not even see it and the thing was a joke that did not even have a device to lift the tongue off the ground. What a joke. The lightest, bare minimum box on two wheelbarrow wheels you can imagine.

So I took off in the truck and a mile from town a chunk of metal came off that looked 3' long bouncing down the freeway at 70mph while cars swerved to avoid it. My guess is a catalytic converter cover. Well the old girl got so hot it was burning my feet, no AC, and some of my wheels on suitcase melted in the back, but, by GOD, we made it. Had to stop and let her breathe a couple times each mountain pass. I was praying she would not break down with most of my belongings, and the LORD saw us through.

Since I could not get a 26' truck I have to make two trips now and pay for both of them. Turns out the price per mile is the major cost and it is the same no matter what size the truck is. Uhaul does not care about their mistake and not available to answer the phone either. If you do wait all day to talk to them, all you get is a call center anyway. The call center has a rude woman whose only skill is to give you the number for customer service. Anyway, I left their stupid trailer on the side of the road and told them to come pick it up. Not sure how much that will cost me but I tell you what. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM UHAUL AGAIN AND I MAY EVEN START VANDALIZING THEIR TRUCKS AT RANDOM FROM NOW ON. Tired of getting screwed by some huge corporation that is so nice until they have my credit card numbers and then they are busy and rude.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I went to get a 10' truck for one day and the cashier told us it would be $139 and if we brought it back in less than 24 hours it would be less money. Well right off the windshield was covered with bugs and the window washer had no fluid or did not spray, so I had to manually clean it up myself and I was in a rush for time. Then it was night time and the cargo light did not work so the loading was not safe and difficult. The load ramp gave us a lot of problem also, first it did not want to hook into the two spots and it was also very problematic getting it back under the truck when ready to travel. Pretty sure there was some mechanical problem with it because we have used many many ramps like this with no difficulties. There was no latching system to hold the two wheeler truck against the wall.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Because U-haul is a franchise/licensed company, it is hit or miss whether you will get good service. Trying to schedule through the online site is completely useless because it will make a reservation, then when you call to make your pickup at the site assigned, they have no idea what you are talking about. It is a horribly run system.

Original review: April 29, 2021

U-Haul forced us to drive 120 miles to pick up truck. The day before our 5 day drive from OR to MN, U-Haul called and said the truck we had rented would only be available at a location 120 miles further than the location on our reservation. That was 4 hours of additional driving and gas for my wife and I the day before out trip. Customer Service foul up. When customer service was telling us we had to drive 120 miles out of our way to get the moving truck, they said they would set up an extra day and mileage on our contract. When we got to the new U-Haul location, they had no record of that information. Almost impossible to reach Customer Service. U-Haul customers should be prepared to wait on the phone for 20+ minutes to reach a customer service representative. Overcharged. We I got my credit card bill, U-Haul had overcharged my $215.88.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Reserved a car Hauler for Vancouver to Victoria, straps were tangled knotted and unusable, had to ask twice and wait for repairs. Only needed a one day rental, their system said it had to be 2 days. I returned trailer within 24 hours, still charged 2 days, no one in customer service could fix or resolve this. Very dissatisfied. Cash grab. Should be based on actual usage.

Original review: April 25, 2021

The short version: Don’t rent from U-Haul. They’ll do everything wrong and then blame you. The long version: I moved my household goods from AZ to CA this week. Monday, I went to my designated pick up point, SSC Auto Repair, on the day I had reserved a truck to begin my move. I was quickly informed that there was no truck available for me there despite having made my reservation weeks prior. The desk attendant called Uhaul and was informed that my pickup location had been moved and that Uhaul had called me to tell me I had a new pick up location. I stated that I had not received any such call. Upon further investigation into my phone records I saw that I had a call from an unknown number that when googled was indeed Uhaul but they left no message. (Strike one for Uhaul.) The attendant was able to locate my new pickup point and give me the address.

I now headed to Tom’s Family Car Wash in Gilbert. Upon arriving there I was met by a distressed employee who informed me that their system was down and so her manger was requiring her to do all equipment check ins and check outs on her personal smart phone. She was the only employee at the desk and was responsible for managing the Uhaul orders as well as help all other customers who came to the desk for their car wash payments. This employee was clearly stressed and in need of assistance. She had not been given sufficient training on how to complete Uhaul orders and was unfamiliar with the functions of her phone. She called three times for her manager, Allison, to come help her. Allison would come and give limited assistance then leave again instead of staying to walk her employee through each of the steps she needed to take or at the very least be on standby to help other customers who came to the line.

The employee did her best to complete my order informing me that my truck was to be returned to my designated drop off point with an 1/8th tank of gas. After a few more minutes on her phone she triumphantly exclaimed that she had finally gotten through the process and could give me the keys to the truck. (It took almost an hour for her to reach this point.) I was not given anything to sign. No written contract with guidelines for usage or a fee schedule. Only verbal communication of the expected 1/8 tank at return and the keys.

I took the keys and found my truck in their parking area. When I opened the door to the cab I was greeted with empty water bottles and dirty, discarded face masks all over the seats. The windows were filthy and covered with bug guts from its previous usage. (Strike two for Uhaul for renting equipment that is filthy which at the very least is taboo in the climate of a global pandemic and more than a little unprofessional.) Given the arduousness of the check out process I also checked my bank account to see what charges were applied to my credit card. I discovered that I had been charged the rental fee three times in total, amounting to more than $700. (Strike three.)

I called Uhaul and waited on hold for about an hour before reaching a customer service agent. I explained that I had been charged my rental fee three times and would like two of those charges removed. The customer service agent claimed they had already taken care of it. (Great!...Right? Just wait.) After emptying the truck in CA the next day (Tuesday) I drove to my designated drop off point. The store was closed but had an after hours drop of with instructions to login to my Uhaul account and follow their online steps for completing the drop off. I logged in and found out my rental reservation had been deleted and I was not able follow any online prompts for returning the truck. (Strike four. Aren’t you only supposed to get three?)

Again I was on the phone with Uhaul. Once I finally reached a human I explained my situation and that I was trying to return my truck. He told me that, that wasn’t true because his system didn’t have record of it. Yet, somehow, I was sitting here with a truck. (Customer service at its finest ladies and gents and if you’re still keeping score that’s strike five) Our call got cut off before any headway was made and I called again. Now I’m speaking with someone new. I recount my saga to her and she says “Uh...I don’t know how to help you.” (Strike six! I’m under the impression that Uhaul should consider some revisions to their training modules.)

She puts me on hold to try and “figure something out”. When she returns she connects me to someone in the CA transportation division. He tells me that the woman who “rented” me the truck, never actually “rented” me the truck so there was no record that I had picked up the truck and my reservation was canceled. (But she somehow was still able to charge my credit card three times. Interesting. Oh and strike seven.) The gentleman from transportation instructed me to take the truck to a hub location two miles away and leave the truck in the parking lot and the keys in the overnight box. He would call the hub in the morning and wave any additional fees. So, I drive the truck to this new location (which was over 5 miles away but I think we’ve already established that details are not Uhaul’s strong point) and I leave the truck as instructed. (Surely this game is over. Right? Think again. This was only the seventh inning stretch.)

The next morning, Wednesday, I wake and check my credit card account. Not only are the three original charges still listed but I now have two new charges for $188 and $29. Also, in my inbox are contracts for a truck rental I’ve already returned, and a receipt for the $188 which indicates it is my equipment rental fee. I have no explanation for why I was charged $29 nor why I’m being charged another rental fee for equipment I’ve already returned so, to the phone I go. (We are up to strike 8.)

After some time on hold someone answers and I immediately asked to be connected to a manager. A few minutes later I’m speaking with Faith who tells me she is a customer service manager. I go into what is now my fifth or sixth retelling of my tale because apparently you aren’t ever allowed to speak with the same person twice when you call Uhaul. Faith isn’t able to tell me what my charges are for because she works for the customer service department so I wait on hold while she contacts the finance division.

15 min later Faith comes back and tells me that the finance department can’t do anything about the three original charges but that she’ll give me some authorization codes so I can call the number on the back of my credit card and perhaps reverse them that way. (Why I now have to put in the work to undo the mistakes that Uhaul made I don’t know...but I digress. Strike nine.) Faith further explains that the other two charges are the $188 rental fee and a $29 fee for returning the truck to a different location than originally assigned. Our connection is getting choppy so she wasn’t able to hear my inquiry as to why I was being charged when I was directed to change the drop of location and assured that any new fees would be waved. We lost our connection shortly after.

I called back again and was connected to someone brand new. I asked to speak with Faith but this new person didn’t know a Faith and didn’t know where in the country Faith was located so didn’t know how to contact her. (That’s right strike ten. Apparently we are aiming for MULTIPLES of three in this baseball game.) The woman I was talking to now read Faith’s notes on my file and eventually found her on Uhaul’s instant messaging system. I asked her to please ask Faith for her direct number so I could finish our conversation. Her response was that Faith didn’t have a direct number and that Faith would reach out to me directly instead. So I waited.

I never did get a call back from Faith (strike eleven) but I did get an email a few hours later from David **; Area Field Manager. He said he had reviewed my file and saw that I was charged a total of $217; $188 for the rental and $29 for fuel because I had brought the truck back on an 1/8 of a tank instead of a 1/4 of a tank like my contact had stipulated. (In case we need a review I wasn’t given a contract until the day AFTER I had returned the truck and this explanation for the fee was different than the one Faith gave me before.)

I returned Mr. **’s email explaining that I had not been given a contract until after I had returned the rental and that the only fuel information I had been given beforehand was to return the truck on an 1/8 of a tank and therefore the $29 was unauthorized and unprofessional. I requested that he please remove the $29 charge from my account as it was Uhaul’s negligence that resulted in a return on an 1/8 of a tank, not mine. Mr. ** curtly responded that the $188 rental fee was granted with a $27 discount contingent on the return of the rental with a 1/4 tank. (He had highlighted this stipulation in my contact for emphasis but once again (louder for the people in the back) I didn’t receive a contract until THE DAY AFTER I RETURNED THE TRUCK!)

His counter offer to my request was to remove the $29 fee from my account but rescind the $27 discount as well leaving me to pay the original rental fee of $215. (Apparently a $2 discount was sufficient compensation for the mountain of unprofessionalism Uhaul had displayed. Strike twelve.) I responded again to Mr. ** that his solution was unsatisfactory because I was essentially still being penalized for non-compliance to a contract I didn’t receive until AFTER the fact. I asked him to review my file again and come back with a more appropriate solution. I never got another response from Mr. ** and my bank statements indicate that he never did as he proposed nor as I requested so I’m stuck with the $188 rental fee and $29 fuel fee and more than a sour taste in my mouth from the unprofessionalism of this entire company. (I think we can count that as strikes 13-15.)

(Side note: the original three rental fees did eventually disappear which is a minor miracle because when I called the number on the back of my card they said they couldn’t do anything to reverse the charges and didn’t have any idea of what to do with authorization codes Faith had given me.) So 15 strikes later and this baseball game from hell is apparently played out. Uhaul’s customer service is disappointing at best and their area field manager seems to think that the best course of action when presented with a logical proposal for resolution is to ignore it. Clearly an apology and company accountability is beyond Uhaul’s capabilities.??? “So it’s one, two...fifteen strikes, you’re out!... Just kidding. Let’s blame the customer team...at the Uhaul ball game!”??

Original review: April 17, 2021

It was easy to rent a moving van from this moving company. My aunt and I put a down payment down for it but it wasn't that much. All I had to do was refill the truck back up with the same gas amount that was in it when she purchased it for me. All you need is license and no negative history with the company. If you have an accident you will be charged and refundable deposit will be kept.

Original review: April 16, 2021

UHaul was a nightmare from the beginning to end. It first three months just to get a schedule date of calling in once a week once or twice a month or more for two or three months before we actually got a date confirmed to have a truck available for our move. The truck they gave us didn’t have air conditioning and we were moving to a hot state and this was in the middle of summer so needless to say we were very very uncomfortable in this truck with no air-conditioning. We had issues after we got our load to our new residence with UHAUL wanting to charge more than the original agreed-upon price. The people that we hired to pack us and unpack us were not qualified to do the job. When we dropped off the truck that should’ve been taken out of commission they want to try and charge us for dents and dings and all kinds of problems with the truck that was given to us in bad condition. I will never use UHAUL again!

Original review: April 15, 2021

Moved from Chicago to Florida. They were very professional, packed what I wanted them to, tv’s, lamps, etc. Took apart Furniture and reassembled at new home. The best part was they stored it while waiting for the closing.

Original review: April 14, 2021

In these days & times, during Covid-19, with a lot of people out of work, & less money to work with, it helps when you can get things like moving accomplished, but with half the cost. Now you still have to be wise in your choice of companies that you choose to work with in the end, but you will save a lot of money by packing yourself, renting your own truck, & doing the driving yourself. The only thing you will need the 2-3 guys for, would be to meet you at your old place & load everything onto your truck, then follow you to your new place, & unload everything off of your truck. After the job is done, you will give them the payment code that they turn in to Moving Helpers, to be paid for the completed job; that's it.

I have used them successfully several times, in & out of state. My sons use them when they were in college, & job transferring. We have never had a problem, & we saved a lot of money by packing & securing the truck & driving ourselves. You will have several companies, within your area to choose from. Everything is done online. Tipping is left up to the customer. I always did, because I felt like they earned it.

Original review: April 6, 2021

This is a review of my experience with Uhaul. I would like to say that when I went to pick up my uhaul I was never notified that it was sent to another location so that caused a 35 minute delay and the guy at the convenience store apologized several times and not to mention I was on hold for 20 minutes just to get through to your customer service number to reach someone.

Secondly, when I picked up the uhaul finally it only had a half of tank of gas in it, not 3/4 like I was told, so I called the Martinsville location and spoke to the lady there about it so I wouldn't be charged 4.00 a gallon when I dropped it off and she didn't seem to care, I was told through your customer service that I would recall 70.00 credit off with my 100.00 deposit back and I'm showing here that the 100.00 has been sent to my card but not the 70.00.

Thirdly, when I dropped off the uhaul the guy there reran my debit card to get payment for something I had already paid for, luckily that didn't come out, then he said I didn't put the gas to 3/4 take which I kindly informed him about it, so really this experience was a very bad one and I will not recommend or use uhaul again. Bad customer service, no 70.00 credit as promised which that does need to be honored. Changing locations without notifying customers is unacceptable, overall very poor service.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I went through the online process to rent a small enclosed trailer from U-Haul. After selecting the trailer I needed and picking the location. It told confirmed. It was available. I then had to carefully click through about 5 pages in a row where they tried to upsell me on various items. In fact, they were so clever in doing so I almost purchased supplies that I did not need or want. I made the reservation and was told that an agent would call me in 24hrs to confirm. I received a call and a customer service rep rudely told me that the trailer I wanted wasn't available anywhere nearby. I was then told the only option was a larger trailer (higher cost) and that I would have to drive an additional 10mi each way to get the trailer.

I asked if they would reduce the price to what was quoted and I was told rudely that I didn't read the small print and that there was no 100% guarantee given. It isn't their fault I didn't read the details and it isn't their fault that I need to drive 10mi further each way to get a trailer that was much bigger than I needed. I gave them 5 days notice prior to the day I needed the trailer. When I started to ask about the misleading quoting process and that I felt it was extortion that I was being told to pay more after confirming with my credit card, the service rep said that I clearly was upset and she would not be willing to help me as a result.

So in summary. I confirmed a specific size, date & location to pick up, reserved with my credit card... and then 24hrs later was told I "needed to pay more" and drive further, opposite direction to pick up and drop off and had to get a larger trailer. No compromise was offered. Nothing but rude condescending comments about my inability to read and their lack of concern. Then told I was being rude and basically not worthy of their service. The kicker... what other options do you have? They can treat however because they know there is no competition in our general area.

Original review: April 2, 2021

If I could leave negative stars, I would. Do yourself a HUGE favor and rent from Budget. Or really, anywhere else. I booked a reservation two weeks before my moving date. U-Haul called me twice to cancel and find a different truck. The first time it was like 30 minutes out of the way, but I said fine. Then 6pm, the night before my move they call again. No truck. They try to give me a truck over an hour out of the way. I said absolutely not. I suggested getting a truck in the town I'm moving to, I would have to pay more for round trip, but I was willing to do that because I'm desperate. I'M MOVING TOMORROW. Nope. No trucks. Apparently not one truck in all of North Jersey.

The nasty woman I spoke to, Aaliyah, was disgusting. Most unhelpful, nasty person. I asked to speak to her Supervisor. But, of course, she claimed no Supervisor available. I will never rent anything from U-haul ever again. What's the point of making a reservation if you can't hold on to a truck for the person. Now it's almost 7pm on a Friday and I have no way to move. Thanks U-HAUL! Great job!

Original review: March 13, 2021

Awful. Do yourself a favor and explore all other alternatives before using U-Haul. I reserved a small trailer for a cross country move. Despite there being several uhaul facilities in my region, I was told I needed to take a 4hour roundtrip drive to pick up a trailer. I needed it so I did. I made it across the country only to have my drop-off location changed to add an additional 2 hours of driving to drop off the trailer instead of using a location within 20 miles. I made a couple of calls to try and sort it out, find something closer, etc., and was told - "Sorry, you need to drive it there." Uhaul's remedy: a $30 rebate. Bait and switch tactics and bad customer service. I'll never use them again. I would have been better off buying a trailer. Beware.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Not once but twice one being paid for. U-Haul cancelled my reservations without so much as a phone call or a text then they are rude about it. Now I'll have to fight for my 580.00 Dollars back. People that work there were rude as hell. Why make a reservation if it's not going to be there when you need it!! Extremely unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

First things first, this individual U-Haul wasn't terrible. It's the service after them that I'm complaining about. Worst customer service I've ever experienced, EVER. First of all, they charge you about as much as the trailer's worth just to rent it for a couple days. Second, I paid for insurance and roadside assistance. I broke down half way into my move and was stranded by the side of the road. Not only would they not come out to help, they wouldn't even come get their equipment with my stuff in it to get it to a safe place!!!

The trailer leaked and destroyed some furniture. Nope, the insurance is for the trailer! ON TOP OF ALL THAT, after I had made the most ridiculous arrangements to get myself moved across country... a week after I thought I'd forgotten about all the mess... they charged me for a toll that I had already paid!!!! I called and talked to a number of people over the course of about an hour and NOTHING. They wouldn't even waive a $6 toll that was already paid!!! GO PENSKE or someone else that rents trucks/trailers at ALL COST!

P.S. I had not written a review on their website! ON TOP OF ALL THAT, this is what I got on their website when I tried to write a review: "Review already submitted! Thank you! Our records indicate that your review for this contract has been completed. If you have additional feedback or inquiries, please contact us through chat, email or by phone. Thank you for choosing U-Haul."

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

U-Haul-Sacramento- at El Camino Ave. 1650 El Camino Ave Sacramento CA. I took a photo of the mileage & gas before leaving-gas was 1/4 tank. We drove it 39 miles & I put in $10 gas. When we returned it, they lied and said the initial gas was 3/4 tank. Then tells us we should have gone onto some app they never told us about, they were in such a hurry, they didn't bring out the furniture dolly I rented. The rep we spoke with when checking out was also very rude. If I hadn't discovered it wasn't in the trailer, we would have left without it. Even after showing him my photo, with gas level and miles, he lied about the gas level & charged us $40 + tx more. When I asked to speak with a manager, he said the manager wasn't there. I recommend not doing business with this U-Haul outlet since they are thieves. They don't even deserve the 1 star I had to enter. I have been a U-Haul customer many times and have never had such a bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Not only does U-Haul University of Texas not care about their customers, their employees did such a terrible job attempting to install my hitch and wiring that they blew all of my fuses and caused a total system failure of my brand new car leaving me marooned for days in New Mexico where I had to be towed from the side of the highway. Despite alerting management and their customer "service", I have not received any acknowledgement of the issues, expenses, nor the danger they put me in. The wiring install was so shoddy that even though it was completed merely days before I hit the road, the plastic encasing was rubbed through and exposed the wiring underneath. I had been traveling in a snowstorm at night in an area without cell service. It could have been even worse, and they couldn't care less. Do not spend a dime with these guys. I spent thousands reversing the damage they did.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Horrible!!!! I needed to rent 10 vans for corporate use. The experience was horrific from the point of reserving the vehicles to returning. I've never seen a company as poorly organized as U-haul. It took hours to reserve the vehicles. When the reservation was finally submitted it was canceled the day of pickup. We had to waste additional time to reserve the vehicles again. The reason they canceled the reservations was that they didn't want to give up all vans from a single location. We had to drive across 5 different locations to pick up the vans. On top of that the rep was extremely rude. The vans are overpriced and you can get a much better deal with other companies (Hertz). When we returned the vehicles we were overcharged for late drop off plus other charges. Lastly we could not get a receipt for our rentals. We gave over $20k in business to Uhaul in November and December. We will never rent from Uhaul again!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I went to U-Haul in Moon Twp, PA. Rent a 15' truck for $29, they give me a truck over 120,000 miles, tires were out on freezing weather with heavy rain. I am not exaggerating. That truck should not be on the road so I return the truck around 7 pm. I had it for less than 4 hours and give me a bill for $104, I was told they were going to charge me around $40. Now I want tell others when thinking about getting Uhaul think twice and see alternatives. This Company is rip off and misleading people with their ad and top of that their outdated trucks, Uhaul you are a thief.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I've never been treated so poorly by a business ever. It's probably fair to say we've all experienced some awful customer service at some point, but this experience tops it for me. Upon entering the store, I was immediately told, "You need to put your mask on." I was not asked nicely, I was told in a rude tone. I said that I can't wear a mask. I was told by the employee that I would need to leave and they can't do anything for me. I said that my religious beliefs and health prevented me from wearing a mask. He said he didn't care, and that I would have to leave or he was going to call the police. I told him, "Well, go ahead and call them if you want to but I'm not doing anything wrong as in the governor's order it does list exemptions and isn't a one size fits all deal." He didn't respond and instead got on his cell phone and called someone who was hostile and combative on the telephone, and identified himself as some type of manager.

He said extremely rudely that he doesn't care about my rights, I can sue him if I want to, and that I either wear a mask or get the hell off the property. He further added that he doesn't care if I spend my money there and that I could go to Penske or Budget instead, if I don't like it. I obliged, and said I wouldn't spend my money at a place that treats other human beings in this manner. All the while that this was going on, the employee who demanded I put a mask on was standing about 3 feet away from me with his hot headed manager on the speakerphone. So much for 6 feet apart for being so afraid of a virus. I called the U-Haul 800 number, and said I wanted to make a complaint about the manner in which I was spoken to and treated in general. They told me that I would receive a call within 72 hours from the general manager. Well it's now beyond 72 hours later, so I went to the Uhaul website and chatted with a customer service agent.

They advised that the case had been closed out by the manager, and that they could reopen it if I wanted. I said that I would like it reopened, but have no interest in speaking to the same hothead that was on the speakerphone on 12/19/2020 as it will get nowhere considering the complaint involves the way he treated me. Just so anyone reading this knows this is a legit review, the reference number Uhaul gave me reference the complaint is **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I don't leave reviews but I am furious with U-haul Company!! This is the 5th time they have done this since 2018 and I draw a line this time!! It has been always same bad service and it's nothing to do with Covid-19 situation! I made a one way reservation with the Guaranteed availability or get $50 refund which I didn't get. On the day of pick up, I went online to check in and noticed that the pick up address changed to Laurel MD. Location!!?? WHAT kind of Guarantee was that?? La Plata, MD and Laurel, MD is ONE HOUR + driving difference. TIME AND MONEY we have to spend for their convenience!! U-Haul Company SUCKS in scheduling and customer service!!

Maybe they are some good reviews because of same location pick up and delivery BUT their one way service is a HASSLE to go through! They just change their pick up location as they pleased at last minutes. They send you an email late night after hours, which you might not see and called it an excuse that they did inform you of the change which is too late to change our plans for the next day at that time anyway. They don't call you in early morning a day before to try to let you know or give you alternatives so you can schedule your day accordingly!

Previous time was the same thing, We went along and went to the location they changed it to and when we arrived at the new location where they sent us off to pick up, they said, "NO SORRY we don't have the truck," and sent us to a different location and they also sent us to a different location from there and after 3 location and FOUR HOURS we got a Truck. Can you believe that!! What company does that and stay in business for this long?? If it was one time, two times, you could say it's okay, it happens but ALL the time, IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE. I will leave a review everywhere I can so dear customers know what kind of company they are dealing with and watch for disappointments.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I moved from CA to MD. It was a small move, just about 250 cu.ft. I wasn't sure if I would need one U-Box or two. The representative said... "No problem! Just order two boxes, we'll only charge you for the one you use." U-Haul does not deliver to my new address. They partner with MovingHelp.com for the final leg of the move. MovingHelp.com farms out their contracts to unscrupulous businesses they don't vet.

U-Haul failed to update the order to reflect the fact that I only used one U-Box. MovingHelp.com failed to realize or admit they only received one box. The crook from "SafeCare Moving" that knew there was only one box, but accepted payment by MovingHelp.com for 2 boxes didn't update the order to reflect the change. U-Haul points the finger of blame at MovingHelp.com. MovingHelp.com points the finger of blame at Blaine ** of SafeCare Moving, and round and round they go. Nobody taking any responsibility for the extra $400.00 charge I was billed. Do yourself a huge favor. Do not use these people for your move. Do not give them your credit card number.

U-Haul Company Information