3.9/5 (534 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

We ordered 4 boxes for one month. We basically got 2 boxes at a time for one week. What they don't tell you is that the boxes are attached to trailers that you don't rent, so even if you get the boxes you ordered, you are at the scheduling whim of the trailers. We have gotten phone calls nearly every day wanting the trailers. But our stuff is on there! So, they keep taking our stuff. After talking to Head Office is was explained to us that they were supposed to use a forklift to place the boxes on the driveway and not keep them on a trailer.

Initially delivered two boxes. Had to fill those as they needed the trailer. Took those away and brought the other two. Filled those and took them to the new house. They phoned again needing the trailer on the day before we had scheduled people to empty them. Insisted on taking our 2 boxes the day before the move. Did not give us another option. Refused to work with us. The GM talked over us and just repeats what he wants until he gets it. Pawned me off on the transit manager who was supposed to call within 15 mins. Never got the call and had to call them. As soon as the woman on the phone saw which account this related to her demeaner drastically changed. One word answers and she hung up on us. Extremely rude and unprofessional.

When picking up the trailers the day before our move the GM was incredibly rude to both my partner and I. He banged on our door VERY loudly and just walked away. Wouldn't talk to my partner. Just pointed at our car that I guess he wanted moved yet again. They also broke the neighbor's fence when placing the original trailer at new place. When we mentioned this the GM could not have cared less. Told us the neighbor would have to file a complaint. No apology. Nothing. Called to complain about the behavior of the GM and the second person we talked to was very rude as well and insisted that they talk to me as they refused to talk to my partner. She ended up hanging up on us. Very professional.

We had to constantly shift our plans around to suit their trailer schedule. We were never given an option. They would just show up and take our stuff without a care in the world as to how it would affect our move. When we insisted that they return our stuff on moving day they just gave us a string of excuses and hung up on us AGAIN. We never even came close to getting what we paid for. There has been no offer to compensate us for their schedule extending our move. Quite the opposite, they hounded us for $13 we apparently owed them.

I'm a 46 year old professional and I have never in my 46 years on this planet been treated with such a lack of respect. The GM's arrogant and flippant attitude was stunning to both myself and my partner. This was single handedly the most negative moving experience I have ever encountered. I would avoid this location at all costs and certainly do not use their box service. We will be seeking compensation for all of the above but I highly doubt anything will come of it but more hang ups.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

On September 20th I reserved a 10' truck and car dolly for my move from Vancouver WA to Salem, OR on October 1st. I was told that I would be called the day before to confirm the pickup location. Well I was called this morning and was informed that I have to go 14 miles into Portland to pick up the equipment. Why? There are three locations within a few miles of me. I asked and was told the other locations don't have the equipment. Well take it there because I'm paying you good money. I will never use Uhaul again. Every time I do it is a nightmare. Moving is stressful enough without this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

‎Thursday, ‎September ‎23, ‎2021

I am submitting this complaint against the Uhaul Corporation. In October of 2020 I rented a trailer from Uhaul and I was moving from Sacramento California to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. My first leg of the trip was from Sacramento to Reno, Nevada. After pulling the trailer over one of the highest mountain passes in California, we got a hotel room because something was definitely wrong with the trailer. My 20 year old son was following me in his BMW Z4 and we got like a Go camera so he could videotape the drive just in case something went wrong. Well it did.

The next morning we went to a local Uhaul dealer in Reno and explained to them what was happening. They in turn told us we must have loaded it wrong and to repack it. And assured us this was a normal thing and they were sure that was the problem and that the trailer was safe to pull. So my son and I spent all day repacking the trailer and then hooked it up to my truck again and took it for a test drive. The trailer was still bouncing all over the road and I felt like it was going to go off the road and take my truck with it. So we thought okay let's try it again but this time I discarded more of my personal belongings in hopes that would help to alleviate the problem.

Please note; I had already left behind almost every piece of furniture I owned because this was not a large trailer. So now I am just discarded items that were things that could not be replaced by any monetary amount offered. But now day 3 in Reno and I had a job I was suppose to start in less than 2 days. We had to get to Sioux Falls soon. So now after discarding my personal belongings and please note I was not even close to the maximum weight allowable. So again we do a test drive and the trailer was still bouncing all over the place and I was terrified of pulling it with my truck. Well another night in Reno and the next day I told my son I could not bring myself to pull that trailer. I knew something more than way I packed it was wrong.

So I had paid extra for coverage on the trailer if something happened. And I called the number on my contract with Uhaul and told them that I was unable to pull the trailer and Uhaul sent a mechanic out from another company they subcontract with. The mechanic checked under the trailer and in no more than 5 minutes stated it must have been in a crash or something and he could see where some things were repaired but the leaf springs had not been touched and that there was no way Uhaul and inspected or safety checked this trailer.

I have videos and pictures of everything he had pointed out and he confirmed how lucky I had been while pulling this trailer and he was not even comfortable to pull it less than 2 miles a way to another business subcontracted with uhaul where I was suppose to pick up a different trailer. (Please note in the pictures I have there Is a brand new sticker on the trailer that said it had just been inspected within the last 10 days.) Anyhow now I have proof of a video of me pulling the trailer with my truck and it bouncing all over the highway. You can literally see truck drivers passing me and actually driving on the outside on the far side of their lane because of how dangerous it was. Now I have a mechanic's testimony and pictures of all the mechanical failures of this trailer.

So now we go to this lot and of course wait and wait and wait until finally someone returned a trailer. Which of course the people at this business treated me and my son so badly, I mean terrible disrespect because the had promised that trailer to someone else and now uhaul I'm sure knowing they had extremely screwed up forced them to give us that trailer. Well it was almost closing time for them and in no way were they going to help us empty or reload the other trailer. They actually told us we had less than an hour to do this or the trailer with all my belongings would be locked in the yard and they would not give me any promises regarding the safety of my items and had even made statements how the yard had been broken into numerous times and it was in a very bad area.

So my son and I had less than an hour to empty and repack and it was 98 degrees that day. I want you to know those business owners and employees were nothing short of monsters and I suffer from Afib a very high risk heart condition and I thought I was going to have a stroke and my son literally killed himself to make this happen and to protect what little I had left.

So another day and finally on our way. Now the reality of that I could never make it in time to secure the job I was late to start. But now we had a problem with weather. If everything went as planned I would have had 4 days before the 1st South Dakota snow storm. But not only that my son absolutely cannot drive his car safely in snow or ice. But because of the delay now it's snowing in Rapid City, South Dakota and the main highway is closed. So now we had to go around the storm and get to Sioux Falls, South Dakota by going way out of our way thru Nebraska. Again more hardship and more financial costs with extra gas and hotels, etc. It took us over 7 days to get to Sioux Falls. By that time I had no job, and now had no options of renting a townhouse we had setup. No employment. I can also provide proof of losing the job with a written or verbal statement from the manager who had hired me.

So now I have to find a hotel to stay at that would accept 150 lb dog and my cat. Not easy and not cheap. I ended up completely spending everything in my savings on just surviving until I could find another job and then move into the townhouse. It took almost 2 months and all my savings almost $10,000.00. I had to rent 2 storage units for my personal belongings and 1 for my son's vehicle which could not be left in the snow. The townhouse we were to rent had a garage. All these expenses and all the loss would never had happened if Uhaul would have done what they are contractually and legally liable to do is to safety check and inspect the trucks and trailers that I paid 4X their normal amount to rent.

Not only did they falsely claim to have inspected this trailer, they had raised their rental fees 4X more than they had just 6 months prior and I can prove this they took advantage of having the monopoly on this business and price gouged all the customers that were leaving California at that time by the thousands. Also to rent a trailer from South Dakota to California was like said 1/4 less than going the other direction or go to South Dakota from Arizona and the cost was 1/2 or less than they were charging people leaving California. People leaving because of quarantine and the riots and the danger. How nice for this company to go to the utmost extreme of taking advantage of people during the pandemic. I have no doubt they ignored and/or shortcutted their safety policies because they were making 4X more profit.

So to make matters worse I finally was contacted by an employee from Uhaul after emailing them about what happened and wanting a refund, etc. I have voice mails to prove they did contact me. They gave me $200 for me and my son having to reload the trailer since their policy is to have their staff do this. But the woman I spoke with promised and again I say promised to call me in a few days and we would come to a financially benefitting settlement. She never returned my call at all, NOTHING!!! I tried to contact her, unable to. I tried to speak with someone who knew what was going on. I must have had to tell this story 20 times and all I got was more empty promises and lies.

At this point I had to focus on just surviving. And it has taken almost 11 months to get on my feet. It has not been easy. And my son and I still suffer hardship because the money in my savings was suppose to buy furniture. My kid sleeps on a couch from the thrift store and we barely have furniture at all. No kitchen table, no dressers, etc. I am still experiencing loss because Uhaul did not safety check a trailer they rented to me and also promised to make it right financially and just blatantly lied and lied.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Had a car in the shop. Saw the 19.95 per day ad on the side of rental van. Went in to rent van. Actual price was $44 per day after all fees, plus mileage. Was told van was full of gas. Was five gallons down. Will never deal with them again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I have a confirmed reservation from over a month ago. And a week before I get an email saying there are no trailer in my or the next province. Called and they repeated the same statement in the email. Why would anyone do business with a company that makes promises about something as important as an interprovincial move and then says, oh well, good luck!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I needed to store my belongings for about a month, so I reserved two U-Boxes and booked a local mover for my move out and move in dates through U-Haul's movinghelp.com site. Two days before my move out date, my mover called to tell me that they had been going to pick up U-boxes for other clients and being sent away because there weren't any U-boxes available. U-Haul's customer service line repeatedly redirected me to regional offices who couldn't help me, so I had to keep trying the specific office number until I got through to that office. The customer service agent said that they didn't have any U-boxes available because of "an error" so I asked her just to cancel my reservation. Both my U-box reservation and my Moving Help reservations disappeared from my accounts on those sites.

I worked with the local mover anyway because I had to be out of my apartment. I rented a truck and a storage unit and the truck rental guy said he'd met several other people who needed to rent trucks short-notice because U-Haul didn't have the equipment they had reserved, and most of them had found out the day of their move! Even though I couldn't see my movinghelp.com reservation, I was still able to pay the local mover through the website's system. Cut to a month later, I discovered that the second half of my reservation was never cancelled when a different mover from the same company called to tell me they couldn't find my U-boxes.

In summary, U-Haul let down a bunch of people moving in Wisconsin, my local movers, and me. As far as I know, they did not proactively reach out to any customers affected by the "error." Their website deletes reservation information without cancelling the reservation. I also couldn't send a review to U-Haul corporate without an active reservation.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Each U-haul dealer is dealing with the companies bad policies. I recently picked up a truck that they showed me on the computer was half full and I had to return it to half full upon return. By not giving you a full vehicle you have no idea how much gas you really used as it is just a guess. They have a tool on their "out" contract that shows you approximately how many liters this may be but certainly not a science as I drove 18 miles and put in $60 of gas. If you look on the website beforehand you could figure out how many MPG your truck gets, if that is the size you end up getting. Anyway buyer beware, lots of work to make sure you don't get ripped off for gas because of this stupid U-Haul policy that dealers have to deal with. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Having a hitch installed at UHaul was a most horrible experience. First of all, the hitch installation should have taken 1 1/2 hours; it took FOUR HOURS! We sat around with no updates and no Customer Service lounge. And, missed a doctor's appointment. Back to the actual work. The rear bumper, which had to be taken off, was scratched in the process. Next, we ordered a bike rack, which was also a total fiasco. Because the hitch installation took so long, the "mechanic" had no time to properly install the bike rack. Let alone show us how to use it or even understand how it worked himself. He wasn't even properly educated on how it worked himself (i.e., he had the "anti-wobbling" strap coming from inside of the car! Instead of from outside; my wife pointed it out to him).

Worst of all, in the midst of all of this confusion and ineptitude, he opened the hatch door of our brand new BMW X3, while the rack was in place, causing TWO dents right in the middle of the door. To go along with the scratches on the bumper. I don't know about their actual rental business, although I heard quite a few complaints during my 4+ hour stay in the office, but they should stick to that and avoid promising service on something that they have no right doing. I filed a claim with their insurance carrier. After 3 weeks I was told that it was "Tied up in Corporate".

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I had initially submitted for a rental on 5/12 for a one way trailer rental and received my confirmation. However when I went to inform the location that I'd be late I was told that there was no reservation and that the trailer was not available. My only option would be drive to Arizona (Glendale) and rent a trailer there and come back to San Diego to load. After no other options, I agreed. The next day, we arrived in Arizona only to find out that the location did NOT have the trailer and didn't inform us at any point that they didn't have any other options. The manager tried to give us the option of renting a truck but that it would cost us mileage and gas on top of other things. These options were not within our budget or what we had initially agreed to.

We were then told that another location had it, upon arriving (the manager knew we were on our way), he closed the lot for the night. We were then forced to rent a room in Arizona so we could wait to the next day. The next day when the lot opened, we saw the trailer and it was not what was advertised on the Uhaul website for at least a one bedroom apartment. We were directed to another location where the only call we received was from a reservation agent. Each time a reservation was updated, the information was incorrect.

When the trailer was found, it turned out to be an open trailer, which at that point we had no other choice. Upon picking it up two things occurred; One: we went over the contract, which is when I asked the question about timeline, We expected to drive through the night and be in San Antonio the next day (less than 48 hours of having the trailer) and would be charged per diem. The sales rep then said yes, it was per diem and whatever day we turned it back in the price would be prorated. We then also had to have the hitch wiring installed (which we later found out that this install damaged the wiring to my fuse box causing the signal/hazard light fuse to constantly blow). We left with the trailer only to realize that the tarp that we purchased was not given to us. We had to turn around and go pick it up because it would only be honored at that location.

When we arrived in San Antonio, we quickly unloaded and returned to the location. At this time, we had still yet to hear from anyone regarding the awful experience we had within the three day period. It was at that time that I learned about the fuses blowing, after visiting a mechanic I was told that our options were to fix the wiring or snip the hitch wiring to avoid it. I was not about to spend more money over Uhaul's carelessness, so I snipped the wiring.

To this date, I have not received a single call, email or letter from Uhaul about their poor customer service. Only one to inform me that the amount of almost $700 would be deducted and to rate my experience. I called back and informed them that this was not what was agreed upon and that someone needed to call me back as this was unexpected, not to mention costs to fix the issue of the wiring. NO CALLS BACK. I disputed with my bank and was just recently denied. Again, at no point did Uhaul contact me or try to resolve the issue by agreeing to at the very least half the cost. Their customer service is horrendous and they prey on those that just need to get things done without fully explaining the contract. They are too in a hurry for the next victim that they don't disclose everything to you. Nor will they actually listen to their customers to try to make the experience a little better.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I have never experienced such inefficiency, lack of empathy, and customer service as this experience with U-Haul. After the death of my mother I decided to relocate to be near my children as I have my own health issues and there is no other close relative around. My son came to pack me up and get me moved using U-Pods (as we had 3 years previous after selling the family home). He left his home for a month to be able to continue WFH during the day and getting me ready after work hours. First of all, we chose this service by past good experience and after researching other avenues... this is what we got:

-The initial issue came when the order we placed online was cancelled because there was no truck to deliver the U-Pods for weeks; he had to get a ride to the site, rent a pickup, load and deliver the 3 units one at a time. He was told that the fees for mileage and first month rentals were going to be removed because of the inconveniences.

-When he returned the 2nd Pod, it was discovered that there had been some damage (on site) to the 1st. *With all of the issues this has not been addressed formally.

-With one exception the customer service has been rude, ineffective, and incapable. The most annoying aspect is not being heard completely before interrupted and transferred from one incompetence to another, no one taking responsibility to hear and resolve issues created by U-Haul... not even and especially "supervisors/managers."

-The contract/online account was never accessible when customer service "corrected" the order; it was discovered that the whole process was in someone else's name, credit card (because they got an email about the order); and the units were never scheduled for shipment.

At this time we are waiting for a call from the manager who promised to straighten it all out and call by Tuesday. Still cannot see our order, don't know if or when or were our things are going to get here, I am physically moved with NONE of my possessions, our PRIVACY and someone's CREDIT INFORMATION is being exposed. If I weren't living it, I wouldn't believe it could be so profoundly messed up.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I rented a 20' moving 'van' and a car towing trailer. I also purchased several boxes and packing supplies. I made the reservation over a week in advance and received confirmation that the equipment was available. My pickup date was early morning the day before I had to move out of my apartment from a location within walking distance of my apartment. I arrived slightly early that morning to pick up the equipment, but was informed that the equipment was not available. The local Uhaul branch had the equipment present, but stated that they were coded for local use only and would not recode it for one-way moves.

They then sent me to the next closest store with equipment which was supposedly available. They assured me that the equipment and packing supplies were present there and apologized for the inconvenience. This store did not call to confirm equipment availability. I drove over 100 miles to that location only to find out that they did not have any van or supplies. They then called around to every local rental location and found one with confirmed equipment available. The clerks at this second location also said the third location would have my supplies as well.

I drove over another 65 miles further away to make the pickup, and finally successfully got the van and trailer. Unfortunately, this location did not have the packing supplies. I had to return to the original location (approximately 185 miles away) to pick up the boxes and such. Uhaul 'gave' me 175 more miles on my contract to 'compensate' me for the additional 185 miles I had to drive one-way. Uhaul did not do anything about the $100 worth of extra gas or 7 1/2 hours of time I burned. During this time I called my landlord and requested a 1 day move-out extension, but was denied and threatened with being charged a full month if I miss tomorrow's move-out day. I then returned home and worked for 16 hours straight (overnight) to pack everything up. I made my scheduled move-out inspection appointment with only 13 minutes to spare and passed it first try with no additional charges.

Uhaul's car trailer is a bit different than other companies. First of all, you cannot detach the trailer from the truck while loaded. The trailer's landing gear cannot take the weight. This means you have to unload the trailer in order to detach it from the truck to do things like loading the truck. Uhaul also does not have the low capacity single axle full car trailers. Those are nice because they lower the coefficient of friction and save a lot of fuel. The 'van' itself is exactly what I was expecting from a mid-sized fleet box-truck. There are 2 cigarette style lighter outlets, which was nice because I could charge my phone and use my Garmin which was in the kitchen drawer for a few years since I got a car with built-in GPS. The 'van' also came with air conditioning and warning triangles in case of breakdowns. Not all companies provide this with moving trucks.

The truck did not come with GPS or cruise control. There are rails along the left and right truck walls which you could use to tie-down light furniture and such, but I wouldn't use them for something really heave like tool chests, ATVs, or machining equipment. There are no medium or heavy-duty tie downs at all in the truck bed.

The turn in process was almost straightforward. I swept out the truck bed and ramp, which prevents a surcharge. I found out that I went 29 miles over my allotted mileage, 10 of which came from the pickup location change. Uhaul 'forgave' these miles 29 miles. I turned in the truck 6 days ago and am still awaiting a response to my e-mail looking for a fare reduction due to the extra 370 miles I had to drive on pickup day.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

WOW, what a great morning. We are moving in about a month which I have Hired a moving company to do the work but I always rent a trailer to bring the items I don't want to have broken. I made my reservation online which was very user friendly but after I gave them my credit card they stated that the trailer was not available at the facility that I chose. It said that a U-Haul rep would call me. I waited a week and no call so I called them to find out that I will not find out where the trailer will be until 24-48 hours before my move. I asked how far away they can go and she stated 100 miles.

So now I have to wait 1-2 days before I move and then drop everything to go up to 100 miles away which translates to 200 miles (100 there and 100 back) and I am in the Bay Area which could translate to 6 or 8 hours of drive time the day before my move!! Like I have nothing better to do the day before I move!! I would take my business elsewhere but unfortunately unless I want a truck nobody rents one way trailers. My only real option is to just go buy a cargo trailer which is just what I may do....

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

It is unfortunately the only option that is remotely in my area. It advertises $20, and then $1 a mile, until you get hit with a variety of hidden fees. Scheduling online was alright, except when the site crashed and I had to entirely refill out my forms. I got there at noon on the dot, since that was when I reserved it for, but the guy tells me "you are lucky if we have the truck" because apparently multiple customers had to leave without their reserved truck for the day. (He told me one guy reserved four weeks ago and still didn't get it due to a system error). After ten minutes of panic as he attempts to use the tablet, we get the truck. It is absolutely the bare minimum, no safety straps to secure my belongings.

I returned the truck to another location (as I had a one way trip) and the guy says to just leave it with the key in. It is now the next day and I have four missed calls from them, two voicemails (one which was incoherent and seemed like a butt dial), in the second voicemail it says I have not returned my truck. I call them getting put on hold for a half hour before speaking to someone. This still has not been resolved. Overall 0/10. I have to move again very soon and I will certainly not be renting another U-Haul. The stress of this experience has caused my entire move to be way worse and more stressful than necessary.

Original review: July 30, 2021

For ZERO Stars. U-Haul Hobbs, NM. Buying and closing on a new home is such a joyful time DECIMATED ERADICATED OBLITERATED via multiple cancellations by our local branch, despite multiple confirmations. Any positive emotion we could have had has been stolen by this company and now we face hundreds in losses from movers and fees that under the assumption Uhaul could follow through with their own policies. If given the option to move again through this company, or have my elderly father carry the entirety of my belongings on his back while wearing no shoes I’d pick my father. At least he would be reliable. I have never been so disrespected and disappointed by a company in my life. If you want to make the biggest mistake you can when it comes to moving, choose Uhaul.

Original review: July 29, 2021

This review is more about my experience with U-Haul's customer service - than the actual rental of the truck, which unfortunately, did not go as planned in the beginning. Bottom line is that I had to go to 3 different places before I could find the 26 feet truck that I had reserved. Having said that, I have to admit that I had never dealt with such a superb and sincerely concerned about me getting a truck, customer support representatives before! I spoke with 4 different scheduling managers. They each tried to help me get a truck, regardless of geographical boundaries.

I lived in NYC but for personal reasons, I reserved my truck out of Newark, NJ. They were very polite, very understanding, and they really went out of their way to help me find the size of truck that I needed for my move. But what really took me by surprise and made it all worth the minor inconvenience is that after I got to Florida and sent an email to their customer service, within 3 hours, Mr. Nick **, I believe a supervisor, judging by the way he was talking, was on the phone with me.

He explained to me that because so many people are moving out of the NY/NJ area, and very few people are moving from Florida to NY, they have to depend on their customers for when they will be dropping their trucks off and at which location and etc.. Obviously, that made a lot of sense but I was not aware of that when I wrote my email. Nonetheless, he was very apologetic about the inconvenience that I had experienced and he went out of his way, to make sure that I was happy with the resolution - and I was!!! Thank you Mr. Nick ** and it was a real pleasure talking with you!

Original review: July 29, 2021

We rented a U-Haul over three weeks ago to move our daughter to college TOMORROW. We just received a call—less than 24 hours before we were to pick up the truck—and we’re told they have no trucks available. Now we are scrambling to determine how we are going to move her. POOR customer service!! Never rent from UHaul!

Original review: July 29, 2021

The online reservation system is a scam!!! Read the fine print. They cannot and will not guarantee a truck on the date you need it. Then they will notify you 24 hours before you move. Then it's is too bad.

Original review: July 27, 2021

We made a reservation for a truck rental in June of this year--a month and a half ahead of time--to pick up a 20' truck in Bloomington on July 28th and return it in Carmel on August 1st. We were called, with LESS THAN 24 HOURS NOTICE, only to be told that there were no available trucks in Bloomington and that our only pick-up option was in Carmel. I had to take a day off work--again, with less than 24 hours notice to my boss--to drive from Bloomington to Carmel and back again to pick up the truck, only after they had increased our price by over $200. I am /unspeakably/ disappointed--never using Uhaul again.

Original review: July 21, 2021

My reservation was lost, which is not the fault of this location, but the fault of UHaul. I live 100 miles away from this location and on the morning of the move, we were told that there wasn't a 26 ft. truck available in my town despite the reservation. We went through 2 frantic hours trying to locate one and somehow get it to my home before the movers were scheduled to show up to load it.

We finally reached UHaul's Scheduling Department. They found a truck (after every local UHaul location told us no such truck existed for 100 mile radius), but now we had to find someone, at a moment's notice, willing to drive our vehicle back from the new location 100 miles away because we had to drive the truck back, too. (This meant gasoline costs for our personal vehicle of 200 miles round trip just to pick up the truck). Had it been a local truck, we could leave the vehicle in town, and a friend had agreed to drive it 5 miles back to our home. Miraculously, the friend agreed to drive our personal vehicle 100 miles and take the time to make the new 3.5 hour round trip down and back to pick up the out of town truck.

We finally got the truck loaded and drove to within 2 hours of our new location. The movers hired through Moving Help on the UHaul website, who were to unload the truck, called and cancelled, citing car trouble. Because I had to hire someone last minute to unload the truck, the only people available with any ratings were $200/hr as opposed to the original movers at $75/hr. I had no choice but to hire them. Did you know that if you underestimate the time you need for the move, you will need to pay cash to the movers for the extra time? Well, I didn't have $400 cash in case the unloading took too long and no way to get to a bank two hours from my new home. I had $150 to cover an extra 2 hours at the original rate. That wouldn't cover even one hour with the new movers. So I had to overestimate the time needed so I could just pay online with my credit card. Big mistake.

Did you know if you overestimate the number of hours needed, the movers just get to keep the extra money they did not earn? Yep. So I guessed 5 hours and it took 3. (Mostly because the new movers stuck stuff in the garage or the laundry room to avoid taking things upstairs. One of the two movers was elderly and frail. Felt sorry for him but guess who gets to take it upstairs now?) At the new hourly rate, this meant I had to fork over $1000 for unloading that I had previously scheduled for 4 hours at $75 ($300).

We originally planned to return the truck to the location in the city from which I moved. The driver lives there. But since that truck reservation was lost, we now had to decide whether we should leave the truck in my new city or drive it to the location 100 miles further than anticipated (300 miles one way). Remember that UHaul charges for extra mileage. Also, even if the person drove the truck back the 300 miles, they would be stranded 100 miles from their home, which was in the city from which I moved. And the driver did not have time for the extra 3.5 hour additional drive time required. In the end, we turned in the truck at the new city and rented a car for $400 for the person who drove the truck to get back to their home in my former hometown. Bear in mind that getting a rental car in 2021 with no prior reservation is no small feat.

We searched for hours with every location saying they had no cars. Finally, we drove out to the airport (this was not close by) and every rental place said they had no cars. Finally, skipped the line and went to the "Gold Membership" desk, where the agent said to make a reservation online and they would honor it. Crazy, right? You don't have cars unless I reserve it online (on the spot) and then show you my phone with the reservation number. That is what finally, magically, produced a car. Oh, did I mention that some of the moving supplies I ordered from UHaul arrived so late (days past the promised arrival) that I couldn't use them and had to buy supplies locally because the packers needed them on time? (Anyone need a bunch of packing paper and bubble wrap? "New in Box") Any move is exhausting, but this was a nightmare. Such an expensive nightmare.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I originally reserved for a one way from ATL to NYC. I fell ill during the move and had to be admitted to the ICU. The truck remained in the hospital parking lot for the majority of the rental. After I was released, I wanted to continue the move. U-Haul charged me another one way rental, AND I paid for the in town rental. But, they will only return a portion of the first one way rental stating that "I checked it in at a different location IN THE SAME CITY, so it's still a one way rental!" Not only was the pick up location closed on 7/5/21, but the truck was full of my furniture and personal belongings, so I couldn't just leave it at a location. The result is that I'm paying $77 for a local rental with only 36 miles used.

Their actions are cruel and not taking illness and extenuating circumstances into account. What's more, the SAME DAY I was released from the hospital, I waited in the Sandy Springs/ATL location for over an hour for the renewal to be processed!!! Since then, I've held on the phone for literally hours trying to get help--each time I get a different answer as to why I'm paying $77 for what should be $19.95! At one point, I was told, "you're not going to get all of your money back." Customer care at its finest...

Original review: July 12, 2021

Originally at the pickup counter when the contract was written they mistyped the information and charged us 13 days. Too many. After contacting the company upon completion of the move and the company checking our original reservation and confirming there was an error, they said they would refund the overcharge. After we got the refund of $402, I e-mailed the service person back twice asking about the tax on the $402. I heard nothing and had previously asked about the tax refund on the original e-mail. Then I started over again and sent the e-mail back using their "contact us" system and actually heard back 4 hours later. They were going to refund $32 in taxes.

My problem is this. When my wife made the appointment she asked if there was an issue returning the truck early. They said no problem. We did return it two days early and found out U-Haul does not refund the early days returned. I asked U-Haul where that was written and they said somewhere on the contract, which they did find and e-mail to me, but was written in such small font it was difficult to read and vague in the meaning, which I believe is why my wife missed the extra days they charged us for originally. As for the refund on the early return, when my wife asked, the counter person, they should have told her there is no refund for early return and good luck on finding where it is plainly written.

Also she had an issue with the brakes stopping the vehicle a couple of time. We called and reported it and they said it was up to us to keep going with it or have a mechanic sent out. She was 4 miles from home when it happened twice, but she made it home. Later we found out they issued the vehicle back out with no problems found. As a final note, don't try calling unless you have plenty of time. It took over twenty minutes for the quickest call to be answered. It seems to us U-Haul is trying to get every penny possible without giving the service they used to supply. Also the cab was not the most comfortable to ride in.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Disgusting, my mom was sick and they had put the truck on a very bad location so I had to forcefully park my car which resulted my car and my neck hurt but U-Haul does not even answer my emails. Disgusting.

Original review: July 3, 2021

If you can imagine every possible nightmare with a moving company, this has been my life for the past month. U-Haul was HORRIBLE!!! I would NEVER rent from them again, neither will my family. They consistently lied and had a different story every (16 times) time I spoke to them. I placed my reservation a month in advance for Huntington Beach, CA and kept checking in on it only to have The local scheduler tell me that he wasn’t going to rent a truck to me because I was going one way and he was going to give the rental to other people that were staying in the state. This was after I was told two weeks before that by someone that because I reserved it first I should be fine since they do for reserved first truck. I was suddenly left with no vehicle.

I had to pay someone to drive a truck down from Utah to California to me to be able to move. Then, the 20 foot truck, even though I had asked for specific dimensions, they lied about how big the truck was. A 20 foot truck is actually 16 1/2 feet long with an overhang over the cab that they’re counting as the extra square footage. Only, they don’t tell you that part. The truck wasn’t big enough and I went to the local office to rent a trailer, only to find out it would cost me $5,000 to rent a trailer one way to put my extra things in because they refuse to let their trailers leave the state and would triple fine me for not returning it to that location. After many hours of calling and repairing the story to 5 different uhaul people over the phone (they kept passing me off to other people) they said they’d rent me a 26” for an ADDITIONAL $2800 (plus fees and taxes) to go from California to Utah in top of my other 20” payment I had made, seriously!

On top of being consistently over stressed for a month about the rental, being lied to consistently, and severely mistreated, disrespected and hours sitting on hold by their terrible customer service, the auto transport didn’t fit my car! They asked exactly what type of car I had and the one that they gave me did not fit in my car. It took us two hours and YouTube videos to find a way to get my car to stay on the auto transport. We had to put boxes underneath the tires to lift it so the undercarriage wasn’t scraping. Completely unsafe! On top of that, there was no safety hook attached to the front of the auto trader and because of the faulty equipment it took us an extra two hours driving because we had to stop every hour to double check the straps. By the way, one of the two straps came off during the transport.

Driving the truck wasn’t any better, the transmission didn’t sound like it was shifting gears properly so it really struggled to drive, especially On inclines. It was crazy noisy. It was hell. I hate U-Haul with a passion. They clearly do not care about their customers. They jacked up the prices as much as they possibly could to get the most money possible, lied to me consistently for a month, And completely screwed me over as well as giving me a faulty equipment. Horrible experience. Honestly if I had to do it over again I would’ve paid the extra $500 and gone with Penske or one of the other rental places to begin with.

Original review: June 29, 2021

If there was a negative stars review, I would have chosen that option. I have been getting the run around (after being on hold on each call no less than 30 minutes - most are over 50) since my Uboxes were scheduled to arrive June 22nd in Denver. Uhaul customer service (since you can't get in touch with an actual location) says the boxes are there but when the movers call to schedule to come get them, they are told they have not been delivered to the Denver location and they don't know where they are.

In addition to that, the contract number I was given and that is listed on Uhaul.com for my account is apparently, as of today, not a viable contract number and another one is now associated with my cell number, even thought it isn't listed anywhere on my account on their website. There have been NO emails to me letting me know that the boxes are delayed past the June 22nd delivery date or when they will be expected or where they are. I was counting on a large company like Uhaul to be better and they are not.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I have had to rent a few hauls over the past 2 months for work and each representative I've spoken with has been wonderful. They've helped me move drop off locations and pick up times, easily changed from 1 to 2 trucks and every time it's been quick and seamless. When it comes to moving anything, it's really no fun but when it's made easier with timely, friendly service - it makes the process that much better. I wish I had names of the gentlemen I've worked with but I made a point to create an account with ConsumerAffairs to leave a review other than with U-Haul themselves. Thank you!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had a great experience today at U-Haul. The store associates Stacey and Belinda were very friendly and helpful. They gave great advice that helped me decide what reservation I needed to make. They were awesome!!

Original review: June 22, 2021

I reserved a trailer to pull one-way from California to Wyoming online and selected a location pick-up 10 miles from my house because it indicated there was a trailer available there. I received a confirmation. At 4pm the day before I was supposed to pick it up, I got a phone call from a business 80 miles away saying that they had my trailer at their lot. He was calling because he was concerned that U-Haul might not have let me know the location had changed and it was far away (actually a 2 hour drive because of the roads). U-Haul had not let me know. I called and there were no other trailers any closer, and it was too late t find another option, so 80 miles there and 80 miles back I drove.

When I made my reservation, even though I put my destination as Jackson, WY, the drop-off location was given for a town in another state about 45 minutes away. I had no way of knowing that there was actually a drop-off in Jackson. When I tried to change the drop-off location after finding out I could do it 45 minutes closer, U-Haul said that they would charge me double and "there was nothing they could do." So, I dutifully drove the extra 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back. When I did drop it off, there were MULTIPLE trailers like mine, so U-Haul clearly did not NEED it in that location. They must have a horribly antiquated computer system to not be able to make a simple location change. I will go out of my way to avoid U-Haul in the future.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Customer service was terrible. They changed my pickup location to a place over 150 miles away. So I cancelled and rebooked in a town that was closer (Vegas). I called to confirm after hours pickup. They weren't sure if the location provided that. They changed my pickup location again. I called to confirm a 26' truck would be available for after hours pickup. Pay for an Uber to go to pick up location. Truck is boxed in. After waiting on hold for an hour, customer service couldn't help. Had to book a hotel and pay for an Uber to the hotel so I can pick up in the morning. Picked up in the morning. Incorrect mileage and a bald tire. Tire blew 20 miles down the road. 45min on hold waiting for roadside assistance. 45 minutes for them to find a provider. Over 90minutes for someone to show up to change the tire. Had to cancel the movers I booked because it will be too late for them. Customer service is sorry for my inconvenience.

Original review: June 10, 2021

So I have been trying to move from CO to NV and they have made it a horrible experience. They randomly canceled my 26' truck rental. I had to call to figure out why. Every time I called I got redirect to New Mexico, Texas and Alaska all saying I had to get the CO office they are the only ones to help you. After calling within 2 minutes of them opening I finally got the correct office. Just to be told they are not letting the large truck leave state anymore because too many people are leave Colorado and no one is moving to CO. That is ** since we all hear and see the reports of the house sale. Then they say they can only give largest trailer for out of state. It became apparent they are just trying to do multiple rentals to get more money instead of supplying what people really need and using there stock.

I have seen tons of 26' at the 4 different U-Haul I went to in person. All saying the same that they won't let those trucks and trailer leave the state. I then tried to by a tow hitch and have it shipped to me and said it would be here in 3 days. It is now 5 days and all they sent was the ball and clip both I can get a Walmart or O'Reilly for 1/2 the price. I used to use U-Haul for all my moving needs for the last 10 years. I don't know if it is a CO thing but I will never use them again. A bunch of scammers.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I ordered a trailer on the 800 number several weeks prior to my moving date (tomorrow). I was explicit that I wanted to pick up the trailer at one of the many Uhaul dealers in my town the morning of my move (I live in a town of 125,000 people...there are many locations). The representative told me that I would receive a call the day before to let me know what dealer I would pick up the trailer from. I was fine with that. On the day before the scheduled move, I was notified via text that my trailer could be picked up in a neighboring southern state to me, over 1.25 hours away from where I live. That would add 2.5 hours back and forth when I was expecting to move in the morning. This is not even practical.

I called the 800 number to try to sort this out and was on hold for 50 minutes waiting to speak to a representative. I was transferred numerous times, the rep always saying, "I'm not the one who can help you". When I finally got to the right person, they told me I was out of luck, that no trailers were available in my home town. She told me that this was the end of the month and it is not uncommon for this to happen at this time of the month??? Now I have no trailer for my move tomorrow. When I got off the phone, I called the dealer locally to make sure no trailer was available...and was basically told that "Uhaul does this many times to customers". I am livid about this and will NEVER do business with Uhaul again.

U-Haul Company Information