3.44/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

1015 U-Haul Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 23, 2019

I reserved a U-Haul for Saturday. I got there at 9 and no one showed up until 10:40. I spoke with a man over the phone who told me the lady was only 15 minutes away at 9:21 and again she didn’t get there until 10:40! When I tried to call him back he didn’t answer the phone. THEN, I get in there finally and somehow my reservation cancelled (I had just been on the phone with their customer service and it was fine) The lady tried to put me back in the system and said that it was now rejecting my request. Then she said I don’t even have a truck that size!... Wth!

I was livid! Two and a half hours of my life wasted and still no U-Haul. I had to get a friend to help me get the items I purchased in his truck which took 3 trips to a location over 25 minutes away. Absolutely the worst experience I’ve ever had renting a U-Haul. Also when I called the customer service line I was on hold a total of 26 minutes. No one came back to the line to give an update or anything. I just sat waiting and waiting until I eventually hung up.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I went online to reserve a 4x8 trailer and selected a pick up and drop off location. I received an email confirming my reservation. Around 4 pm the day before the pick up they told me I was confirmed to pick up the trailer 40 minutes away from where I selected to pick it up. After numerous phone calls to try and find a closer pick location, they were unable to help me - they did say I could pick it up earlier (I guess to help avoid traffic - this was in Long Island). So we picked it up early... and they had the drop off/return location also different than what I had chosen.

They also did not do us any favors by picking it up early since you have to return it 48 hours from when you got it and we picked it up at 7am on a Sat in NY and so we were supposed to have it back by 7am in VA - which did not happen so they charged us an additional $22. We tried to find another place to get a trailer, but were unable to - especially the day before we needed it. We were dealing with a difficult family situation and U-Haul made the weekend SO MUCH HARDER than it should have been. They should be move the trucks/trailers to the locations that people reserve them - not have the customer drive all over the place to pick them up.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I went online to reserve a trailer a week before I needed it. The website asked many questions about my vehicle size and type of hitch I planned on using. The website asked me information about where I would like to pick it up and where I would dropping it off. It gave the types of sized trailers and moving material options. I made the reservation, and printed out my reservation number with all the details. The following day I stopped by the U-Haul location to prepay. They informed me that they don’t do prepay because the trailer may not be here and I would have to another location to pick it up. I tried to explain that I have a reservation for this type of trailer and your website said you have it at this location. His response was, "First come first serve.”

My question is why have a website that makes reservations? He told me to go back to the website and look because somewhere on it, it states your requested trailer size is not guaranteed to be at the pickup site requested. I looked at the website again and the only time it states it is when you print your confirmation letter, the last sentence of the letter in small print says “This location is a preference only”. Definition of reservation - the action of reserving something. I guess U-Haul doesn’t care about treating their customers fairly, instead they don’t mind doing the ole switch-a-roo at the last minute having the customer to jump through hoops. If that’s your policy put it on the website so people can see it, no small print after the fact!

Original review: July 19, 2019

Updated on 07/21/2019: I have 3 U-Boxes coming from Florida to California, they were supposed to be delivered on 7/21/2019 and my access date is on the same day. But the system notified me on the 13th that my boxes were delivered to Hayward, CA instead of Santa Clara, CA. So I thought they may be transferring them later. But waited for a week, and they are still there!! Contacted customer service several times, they all say my order will be delivered on time. But this morning which is 7/21/2019, when I was going to pick up my boxes, the destination U-Haul location said they didn't have my boxes!!!! What a messed up system, and they changed the destination without notifying me upfront!!!!

Original Review: My U-Box order was shipped to a different city which is 30 miles away, couldn't catch up with my moving schedule and I have to pay more to pick up my stuff. Called their customer service, but they keep transferring me to different person and nobody willing to solve my problem. Shame on U-Haul, the system really sucks.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I set up a U-Box reservation, have movers load my stuff and take it away, to be told on the flip side that my delivery date is not guaranteed even though my stuff is in the town I need it to be. So, I set up movers through Moving Help, called U-Haul back to let them know who I hired and when they would pick them up. Asked if there was anything else I needed to do... They said no. Come the day my movers show up at the Mineral King Location in Visalia Ca... They waited for 4 hours for them to load 1 U-Box (I had 3) onto a trailer. Because of this I did not get my stuff that day.

When I talked to the manager he just laughed about it and tried to blame me saying I hadn’t made a reservation... which I had... And I had tried to call the location several times and always got pushed to the call service. I emailed customer service and they pushed it back to the same manager (Charles) who called to once again tell me it was not his fault. So I called customer service who said it wasn’t okay and would push it above the local managers head. Well, who did I get a phone call again from?!? Good old Charles! Who still is trying to say it’s all my fault. Whatever I’m over it but I will never use U-Haul again and I encourage you not to as well.

To be fair I don’t know if it was Charles' fault but I know I did everything I was supposed to and more. It just ticked me off how defensive he was and how he felt it was okay to basically scold me for leaving a complaint. All I know is that their systems need to get worked out so that there isn’t these miscommunication. If you do go with them request transcripts of every conversation so that you have proof when you need it. For some reason no records have been kept for several of the conversations I had with them clearing all this up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 17, 2019

I scheduled a rental trailer on Sunday for Wednesday. On Monday they called and said it wasn't available at my location. (**) So they set me up in another. (Woodhaven) On Tuesday that location calls and says no availability at their location for Wednesday. So set me up in another location for the 3rd time. (Hempstead) Now Wednesday, I'm on my way to the Hempstead location and I get a call that it's not available again. Like wtf?! These guys take your money and give you the runaround to then tell you there's nothing available. I was willing to go 40 miles in the opposite direction to pick up my rental and was on my way there. They are very rude and definitely not courteous. With that said I would never use U-Haul again. Very unprofessional.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Trailer rental from ACL Moving Company Anderson IN unusable condition. They were to credit us, sent us to Midstate Truck Equipment Greenfield IN to get diff. one. Got double billed for Midstate and not credited for ACL. Waited a whole week and 1/2 to receive credit from ACL for $785.38. Still don’t have the $785.38 back for the double billing from Midstate Truck. It has been two weeks today and U-Haul Corporate could care LESS that they charged us 2 extra times $1600 of OUR money though no fault of ours for 2 weeks!!!! Numerous phone calls to Corporate and the locations and our bank. The bank is the only ones that jumped on it but did not have the credits. U-Haul gave us a lousy $50 buck credit “for our trouble” which somehow miraculously came through right away!!!! Sickening! This could have ruined some people! We were forced to move money in our accounts and everything due to their errors!!!!

Still waiting for our other $785.38 to show up in our account and it is 2 weeks and counting and they quite frankly could care less!!!! Never again and I strongly encourage others to use a different company that cares about their customers!!!! After all this there should be a no charge for the use of this trailer!!!! Or at least a special apology or something instead of treating us as a bother and giving us the run around on OUR money!!

Original review: July 8, 2019

I only went 70 miles at the most from Oak Grove MS to Laurel MS and took the truck back. They charged me $75 at the moment of pickup, but the next day and unauthorized payment of $35. Never ever again will I rent from them and I know 2 other people who are fully about business who had the same experience. Had I known all of this I wouldn’t have put their gas needle back.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I picked up a 20 foot truck for one way from Regina to Toronto. Truck was not having cruise control, was not even serviced properly making cranking noise and worst in mileage. Manager told me that I will get 10% off which I never received it, called customer service 5 times every day to get it resolved but all customer service agents don't know what they are saying. Getting different responses from all the agents. Worst service ever. Don't pick U-Haul if planning to move. Get it moved using movers. At end you will pay the same amount which you will pay to get it moved through movers. Find someone else to help it moved. Don't get it moved using U-Haul. Customer service agents don't care about the service as money is paid upfront for the truck. After getting money they don't care how the truck is - how the service is.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Way too much administrative overhead. Took me 20 minutes to rent a pickup truck, and would have taken 30 or more to get it checked in if I had not jumped the line. I rent trucks at Home Depot - it's 5 minutes out and 2 minutes in. And they don't charge 79 cents a mile.

U-Haul Company Information