AT&T Uverse

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've been having Uverse for about 2 years now. Never had any problems until I moved. I talked to two people who assured me my speed would not change from 18 megs. Once I moved to my new apartment, the tech tells me that I wouldn't be getting the same amount of speed, that it would go down to 1 meg. I was furious. AT&T is a rip off. They failed to tell me when they knew I wouldn't have any service in that area. Also, once my year contract was up they raised my bill without telling me. The representative I talked to the first time told me my bill would stay the same, actually would be cheaper. All they care about is money, they are a rip off and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

I don't know if this will make a difference, but I've had so many issues with AT&T and promotions that they promised me. It took me four conversations and two chat sessions to get them to actually honor the promotions they had verbally offered me. They never confirm in writing, they are dishonest and they don't care. They sent me a bill that never reflected what we agreed, then I had to fight to get a credit. They are unethical, and I question the legality of their business practices.

I called to start new service with them. I was offered deals and specials to fit my needs, however when the tech came to install he said he had no clear like for the satellite and for me to call AT&T back to cancel, so I did. Then set up a new order for Directv now and internet. And no-one showed for my appointment. When I called to see why no-one had showed to install my service, they said because my appointment had got cancelled and that AT&T couldn't install service in my area, "no service is available". So I had to cancel everything. I then called Time Warner who were able to set me up with new service and a same day appointment in which the technician showed up 45 minutes later. I think AT&T and Directv is full of crap and do not recommend counting on them to install because they lied to me two times just to make commission on my call!!! Unacceptable and inexcusable!!!

I called AT&T/Uverse on December 22, 2016 to complain about their equipment that was making a horrible buzzing sound. Also, internet connection problems. I spoke with a representative and was told that they would get back with us. Well, 14 days later I had to call the company back. I called on a couple of other times while at work but the hold time was too long.

I speak with this very rude person and was told that this buzzing sounds that we had to endure was not their problem anyway. The company had decided to not cover the backup battery after 1/1/2016, but the company never came to remove or replace these items. So, my family just had to suffer with this sound that kept you awake and interfered with everything for the 14 days. The poor internet and television service (the television keep freezing up) they tried to repair this on several occasion, but it still hastily been repaired. AT&T/Uverse refuses to even compensate us for the inconvenience of not sleeping and just bad service for internet and television.

I have had an old phone number through AT&T that I have attempted to have turned off for 7 months now. It is a phone line that is no longer used. They have turned my current phone off 4 times now due to the old number. I have paid the bills each time and when you call CS they can't figure out why my new phone is turned off and then they always hit me with a 100+ bill to reinstate when they see I have credit balances on my current lines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Switched from Comcast Cable and Internet which gave us no problems to AT&T DirecTV to get horrible customer service and overages on billing. Transferred to different departments with no end resolutions. During months and lengthy ongoing phone calls I was told my overages have been taking care of just to get interrupted a couple of days later. It has been a constant headache and now because they didn't hold up to their end of the contract which makes it void they still want to bill me for cancellations charges. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with customer service relations and billing disputes. I will never recommend their services to anyone.

On 2 Jan 17, I called AT&T UVerse internet service regarding poor connection speed. After on-line testing, the technician advised I would need a new modem. He further advised that a technician would be available on Saturday 7 Jan 17. I advised I could install and would not require a technician. The AT&T rep advised I could get the modem faster if self-installed and it would arrive on 5 Jan 17. I called back on 6 Jan and again on 7 Jan since I had not received the modem by then.

On 7 Jan, AT&T technical support advised that he could not give a shipping tracking number and gave me the phone numbers for UPS and FEDEX. On Monday 9 Jan 17, I again called AT&T Technical Support and the agent advised it was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow 10 Jan and they do not have a tracking number, but it would be sent to me as soon as AT&T receives it. When I questioned not having a tracking number yet implies not shipped yet, she kept repeating it was scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I haven't had service for five days. I spend three hours on the phone but technical support wasn't able to help. I scheduled appointments a technician to come out, and I had no shows twice. Their automated system is horrible and complicated. It is nearly impossible to get ahold of a live person, and customer service reps usually hang up after jumping through hoops to reach them if the reason for the call is complicated or it is near the closing time. The internet is usually slow and expensive. I've had frequent extra fees and ATT does not help resolve them. If I could, I would give zero stars.

They were good 4 years ago. They seem to want your business, now that they have you they overcharge and overbill. Keep going up on the price while every other company wants your business and works with you. I have already swapped cell phone service to Verizon who by the way is cheaper, better, and never goes up on price. So now I will switch to Comcast which is cheaper and more channels, and want your business, and ain't rude. My mom worked for AT&T for 42 years and she uses Comcast as well. Customer service and billing is rated a zero but one star is the lowest. You will be out of business at the rate they are going.

On December 19, 2016 I canceled my internet service. I received the invoice for the total amount of the month... I call AT&T and ask why they did not send me an invoice with the exact amount that I had to pay... AT&T indicated that I had to pay first the amount for the month and after that in 90 days they would return the portion not used. I thinks this action is illegal. At&t retains millions of dollars for 90 days. How much money this company has been receiving for bank interest?? I demand my money back immediately.

I signed up for U-verse last week (AT&T talked me into leaving DirecTV, isn't that interesting). My landline stopped working the next day. I was given a 4 hour window for them to come out to fix this the day after that. It has now spanned two days and 9 hours, going on 10 that I have been sitting in my house waiting for my phone to work. I have spoken to at least 6 people, including two supervisors (Amrish and Alex). I am now waiting for a call back from another supervisor (Raman).

Unbelievable that they can't make a FOUR HOUR WINDOW. Waiting for 4 hours for AT&T to fix something is bad enough, but when they can't make even that window of time and then don't have the decency to call and let you know. AT&T stays in business because everyone else has to lease lines from them, so they truly do still have a monopoly. Congress needs to fix this. If I ran my business like this, I wouldn't last long. Absolutely ridiculous. Cancelling my service tomorrow.

I signed up for the AT&T Uverse bundle package June 2016. I was guaranteed 89.99 for 2 years. I receive bills every month for expenses $20 to $90 above the guaranteed amount. I contact them each month to try to reconcile the bill. Yet, the situation has still not been resolved.

AT&T cashed a check for $100 less than it was written for. I've called 5 times, spent time in a chat session, faxed over information 2 times and the issue is still not resolved. Each time they end up blaming my bank for their incompetence. I'm currently on the chat with them for over an hour repeatedly escalating through "specialists" that can't get the facts straight. The agent says I owe $30.46, the website says $136.46 and the downloaded paper bill says $288.76. The collections department is now telling me I have a $60.42 credit. They can't even agree on how much of an error in the billing they made. In the meantime I've verified that I paid all the paper billing statements that they sent and my balance should be $0 until the next billing cycle. I give them a negative infinity on customer service.

I had a schedule appointment for Dec. 5, 2017, from 1 to 3, and at 3pm I get text message stated that they will come out Jan. 6 at 9am. Now no courtesy call or anything, starting off on a bad note... I ORIGINALLY had a date with Time Warner to come out, but listening to someone else lead me to be another night without service. This is all b.s.... and beware of AT&T. I will spread this on social media sites also.

We signed up for an AT&T DirecTV/Phone package on September 22, 2016. Worst consumer mistake we ever made. They told us we also had to switch our local internet provider from Frontier to Charter, but now that we have problems neither AT&T or Charter will take care of a problem that has gone on since... over 3 MONTHS!!! We have no internet connection on the TV but we have in through our entire house. Charter has been here 2x and DirecTV 2X - both say it's the other guy. And Charter says they have no affiliation with DirecTV or AT&T. Phones were a huge problem. They told us they would buy back our old phones in September - just got the final check last week... after untold # of calls... and my daughter still does not have the phone she is supposed to have... nor does she get service at her dorm in Long Island.

The AT&T store near Oyster Bay (not sure the exact location) is definitely dishonest at best... a total scam at worst. They "lost the check" 2x in the mail?? Would not answer the phone when we asked to talk to the lady supposedly helping us. We finally contacted a regional manager, and even he didn't seem to care much about taking care of the problem. DON'T GO THERE!! Still unresolved as is our internet connection to DirecTV. I asked to just get out of the deal. No way. I don't understand. I've paid the bill, I signed a contract for services, and they didn't hold up their end of the deal... but I can't pull out with huge cost on my end. Unbelievably bad customer service and even worse - a total scam. If you have any other provider besides AT&T and are thinking about switching to save a couple bucks (according to them) DON'T DO IT!

I have AT&T Uverse service and regularly when I turn on the TV it does not work. Every second or third time I turn my TV on I get "weak signal" or "no signal" or a red x or a black screen or it is frozen on the "On Demand" screen, etc. It requires a call to their technical service which usually takes 10-15 minutes before you get a technician because of their lengthy menu system. They are usually able to get it working after another 20 or 30 minutes of the technician running "diagnostics" but of course my show is typically over by then. When I finally got really angry and demanded new equipment they came out and replaced it and it worked for 2 times before it stopped.

And when a technician comes onsite, you have to provide a 4 hour window to,"wait" for the technician plus another 2 hours for the technician to fix the problem. I am regularly without TV service most recently on New Year's Day. AT&T says they will adjust the bill but when the bill comes it is not adjusted... and when you call to talk to billing they don't know anything about the problems--the 2 sides of AT&T (technical support and billing) don't appear to communicate. Not to mention that they should be reimbursing me for my time for the hours spent on the phone with technical support, or waiting for a technician to come to my house. I am not able to give AT&T even one star.

I made a deal a few weeks ago and when I looked at my bill, I got additional charges because I installed the internet before the tv. The Uverse rep said there would be no problem and no charge but turns out they charged me $36.67. Kicking my bill to $153 from $82 which was the price told. They said that all the charges couldn't be removed and I had to pay that but I did not know about it. Just beware of this company. Too bad I'm locked in a contract, if I weren't in a contract, I would've changed my tv service right now.

My wife and I made the unfortunate decision to "upgrade" to AT&T U-verse. Knowing that I would be required to use their equipment, I asked about the parental control features such as activity logging, time scheduling, website blocking, etc. I was assured that such features were available by logging into the router. However, the day the service was installed, I discovered that no such features are available in the router (NVG599). I called the U-verse manager and he seemed to think that I was the only person that wanted such features and it was unusual. I informed him that my years-old Netgear router had such features and they were actually quite common. To make matters worse, the service is only marginally faster than my prior DSL service. Of course this is probably due to the fact that the U-verse service is actually DSL (as indicated in the Broadband tab of the NVG599 software). My fault for not fully investigating U-verse prior to switching over.

I set-up U-verse in our new home in Dallas because Verizon Fios isn't available in our neighborhood. I previously had DirecTV for 8 years and it wasn't a good experience to say the least. I have 10 TVs in the new house (as in the old one) and pay a monthly charge that is ridiculous. My experience includes: Knocking a hole in the wall in the kitchen to run a cable splitter from another TV in the den due to the fact that U-verse said I had only 2 wireless receivers available to me... 2 months after that, they went to 3. Ugh!! I am so tired of my TV in the office getting bumped off the air because of the lack of bandwidth when 2 streams are being used to record. Ugh!

I tried to purchase a PPV a minute ago and found another fine print limitation. There is a $150 credit limit per month on PPV and movies rented. Why?? I was $8 over and got declined for a PPV purchase. It took me 45 minutes, via 7 different answers/transfers, and my finally giving up once I was told that there is nothing that can be done. Really... You cannot approve an $8 overage on a $150 credit to an account that pays between $300-$450 per month, and has never been late. They really should not be in business, much less the communication business.

Consumer Increased Rating!

So I couldn't just write a bad review. I have to share my great experience too. After being hung up on several times. Vina in billing helped me as much as she could have. So two thumbs up to you Vina! Keep up the great customer services!! Job well done! You represent AT&T well!! :)

Letisha of Baton Rouge, LA on

Original Review

I called AT&T several times about the same billing problem. Each time the representative will transfer me to DirecTV without me knowing. The problem with that is Directv can not see u-verse billing. So I have to hang up and call AT&T over and over again! I don't have the names of the two representatives that hung up on me. I'm not sure where/when AT&T went wrong but they customer service is horrible now! I been a customer for some time now. I have cell phone, alarm, and internet service with them and I regret it!

I called AT&T to set up internet service at my new address. In the process of going through the steps with the agent to set up the service, I was told they would need to obtain information from my credit report. I asked her if it would be a hard or soft inquiry. The agent responded it would only be a soft inquiry because it was only to verify if a deposit would be required. After all was said and done, I checked my Credit Karma account as I regularly do now due to fraudulent activity on my credit report in the past. I also placed a fraud alert on my credit report to help prevent future fraud activity and I've personally abstained from applying for anything that would require a hard inquiry which is why I asked the agent beforehand.

Lo and behold, on my Equifax report, a new hard inquiry from AT&T! I immediately called back to customer care to have the inquiry removed and to cancel my service. The agent I was connected to told me that AT&T could not remove the hard inquiry even though I did not authorize it but of course offered me a discount or rewards for my inconvenience. Unbelievable. AT&T merely sees their mistake as an "inconvenience" to the customer. However, in the meantime, my credit score will surely be affected due to this "inconvenience". This only solidified my decision to cancel my service with the company which took over 30 mins just to complete as I kept getting re-routed to the wrong department. All in all, a terrible experience. I will never repeat with them again. I am now planning to dispute directly with Equifax since AT&T refused to remove the unauthorized hard inquiry to fix their mistake.

Paid my bill. Was watching TV it went off so called AT&T. They said I ask to shut it off. I didn't. Made me a lot of promises. Lied to me. Said no charge then sends me a bill for 169. Already paid bill. What is 169 for? It was their mistake not mine. They lied to me and I will have to pay a fee to get out of contract. I was stupid. Should have seen this coming. I am on social security and can not afford to pay 2 bills in one mo. What an awful company. Do not trust them.

I have been a customer with AT&T for over 3 years. I called to get services moved and they cannot provide the service for over 2 weeks. It is unacceptable for a returning customer to not have access to technicians to provide the service needed. I will be finding another provider. (P.S. I work from home.) They don't even have anything on their website that says "May take up to 2-3 weeks - order in advance". There should be some sort of warning that they are unprepared to service their customers.

If you are looking for a hassle-free experience, do NOT use AT&T. Twice burned, shame on me! First time around I purchased 3 phones and plan renewals (or so I thought) through AT&T at a Target store in Houston. The rep was a third party retailer. When I asked to keep my plan/cost the same, he said "no problem". Not sure if he consciously lied or if he really did not know what he was doing, but when all was done, my price went up over $75 per month for the same plan. When I called AT&T (at least 6 conversations), they said, "your plan is the same, you just lost the discounts you had before!" Enough said. I converted everyone over to Sprint as soon as Sprint launched their new switch program... By the way... Sprint... 5 stars for customer service... 3 stars for coverage.

Almost 2 years later, a friend extols the virtues of DirecTV. So I finally cave and get Wireless, DirecTV and U-verse Internet from AT&T. Stupid me! The Authorized AT&T retailer, Spring Mobile, promised the Universe and delivered Pluto. A frozen planet far away from what was promised. To add insult to injury, the rep was actually promoted to some kind of manager for another store and that store, as well as the store where I bought the package never answers their phones and never returns calls when you leave messages. They absolutely do not care about their customers or their integrity. It is all about making the sale at any cost.

Bottom line, if you really, really have to deal with AT&T, do it with a corporate store. At least you will eliminate the middle fibber. So I have whittled away at the rebates and credits that were promised with no less than 8 phone calls to the mother ship. Still in the hole about $1,150 while I wait for my Switcher credits (for which I had to apply after the store rep said she had done the application... another fib). Anyway, you are warned. By the way, did I mention Sprint AND Comcast had great customer service! Lesson learned. Cheaper is definitely not better in this world.

Since I've been with AT&T last September 15, I have put in a complaint and spend more time on the phone with the incompetent customer service who has no clue what their job is! I get transferred soon as I have a question and always to the wrong department if any! Today I had enough. Directv I see is the new scam. Give you unlimited don't deliver the equipment and bill you for it anyway. Once they've got you AT&T with no warning turn the unlimited data off and blame you for the techs not showing calling, instead bill you as if you never had Directv. I want to know where the contract we signed are. I was told with no equipment no unlimited but you still get the bill. The fraud and embezzling from the customers deserved a second look from the Feds due to this being way more serious than any AT&T customer could have assumed! I told them my phone had GCI charges, I was told it was a mistake. I'm coming for my money! Believe that!

Contacted them for bundle Internet and VOIP. After everything was said and done, the tech came over and installed all well there. The Fraudulent part is that for the wonderful package they offer there is no mention of a 1042GB cap usage for the quoted monthly price. After the cap is reached they charge $10 for much smaller chunks of data. I used 1/3 of the allotted time in 2 hrs while watching a movie on fire stick. Be aware of these caps and charges and ask them about it before you sign up. They will not volunteer these information.

I got ATT wireless and Direct in July. They completely lied to me about service, plans, pricing. I have been charged all kinds of ridiculous fees and had the wrong service installed and get shuffled from non-English-speaking person to non-English-speaking person. I have over 50 hours on the telephone with customer service agents in the last five and a half months. I never get statements until I call them and scream at them and then I have a statement two days later but it's always late. They always attach late fees and extra fees to my statements. I end up paying about $70 a month more than what I'm supposed to be paying and when I try to talk to somebody about it they completely ignore me or just hang up on me. Each month I speak to a agent finally that says they have taken care of everything but on the very next statement all of that money is still owed plus the attached more fees.

They switched my plan so now I don't get what I originally signed up for. My Wi-Fi is nearly non-existent but I cannot talk to anybody about it because they tell me everything works great! I waited 3 months for a $200 Visa card for signing up and never got it. Finally talk to somebody that acted like they knew what was going on and promised that I would have it within four to six weeks and that was 3 months ago. When I try to talk to somebody about getting rid of this horrible service that completely ignore me and will not talk to me about how to disconnect ATT and direct.

This company is lying, deceitful, Criminal! I just want out of this and want for this nightmare to be over but can't get anywhere with anybody. I'm so disgusted and shocked that a company is given the power to treat a customer like this without the customer having any kind of actions to take. I wish I would have looked at the horrendously terrible reviews for this company before signing a contract with them. I don't understand how it is legal for a company to treat a customer like this. If I did this to one of my customers I would be in jail!

This complaint is regarding AT&T UVERSE which keeps tormenting me with false charges. I signed up with AT&T on 06/22/2016 where I reached an agreement for monthly payment of $37, @ 18MB/s for the promotional one year offer. Prior to June 22, 2016, Uverse was my previous internet provider with the same internet speed (18MB/s) and a monthly charge of $31, and when the price went back up, I was forced to seek for a new provider. One day I got in touch with an AT&T salesman who offer me a $37 monthly payment @ 18MB/s and would also waive the first two months. I was ecstatic and went ahead and signed up with them. He reassured me that since I had already purchased a modem in the previous contract, I would not be charged an installation fee and even though some charges 1st appeared, he reassured me that it was standard and they will disappear when the 1st bill would be sent.

Also, as soon as I signed up, I had a functioning internet line (since I had purchased a modem before) and sent out emails, and this also is a fact that has been overlooked and ignored, but I can easily show (via emails and data usage) that I had a good internet connection prior to the technicians arriving at my residence, thus rendering my modem functional. However, the AT&T installation team came to inspect the lines outside and checked the ones inside as well, and again I was reassured that no out of pocket charge was going to add to my monthly bill of $37. So now I am thinking that I am getting June & July waived and any previous charges from last contract of 2015-2016, but little did I know.

AT&T send me a 1st bill of 152.93 due on 8/8/2016 and a 2nd bill of no less than $206.54 for the month of August which was due on 9/7/2016. During this time, I was infuriated and called them to only find operator after operator transferring me to other departments where I was always placed on hold and then hung up on. The first day I was on the phone for more than three hours explaining the same story to the operators over and over but this led to nothing but my internet getting cut off and I was forced to make a payment of $111.00 on 8/30/2016 for the two previous months, which two of them (June & July) were promised to get waived from the contract and paid $39.61 on 09/01/16 for the next month of September as well and just made the payment of $38.22 on 10/27/16.

As you can see none of the charges are $37.00 nor have ever paid what my contract was asking for due to extra charges and changes to my account which are a clear violation of contract and were orchestrated solely by the greed behind the AT&T Empire. But wait, there's much more, because these artificial bills just keep coming and becoming even larger, as I keep receiving more statement of $93.61 due on 10/09/2016 & $110.22 due on 11/07/2016 and finally just received the ultimatum yesterday that if don't make the payment by 10/31/2016 then my internet will be interrupted.

Well I would like to use these few last moments of my time to expose these scammers and frauds for who they are. Aside from the horrible customer service and the huge quantity of lies which I have been told from various AT&T operators (whom have promised that they will fix my account), I was only given temporary credits while the false payments rolled on to the next month, only this time with fees and charges which they, themselves have created.

Moreover, I just recently found out (last month to be exact) that the AT&T technicians who entered my home on 06/22/2016 replaced my fully functional, privately owned and up to standards MODEM, with some new modem which looks the same and has the same components as the previous generation. They were charging me $7/month for it without my knowledge an equipment fee which also resulted in a snowball effect of extra fees and charges. I was not told about this by the technicians (I must've not been present when they switched it) nor have I ever signed anything which stated that I would allow them to take my modem and pay AT&T an equipment fee for a new one. The modems are identical and I did not have an idea that was going to be charged an equipment fee. Just ask you self this; who would give up their perfectly functioning modem to be charged and equipment fee? It's absurd.

I have records of operatives names and badge numbers, conversation after conversation recorded on paper and detailed account which I experienced while trying to resolve this issue, whom promised that issues would disappear and AT&T would respect the terms of the contract yet I am writing to you in despair and disbelief that the harassment and the threats over more payment or face the consequences continue.

After I found AT&T switched my modem, I asked a AT&T phone operative to bring it back but he refused and said that there is no way that this could possibly happen, so I had to pay the equipment fee. I explained to him that the device, which was my property, was taken out of my residence without my consent and that I had no knowledge of the extra monthly charge of $7 after this switch were to happen.

On 10/23/2016 I was chatting with a AT&T operative via AT&T.net while looking at the ridiculous monthly charge. He/she said that he/she would have a manager call to clarify the issue (his name - James). The manager called me at my cell and then after I explained the issues to him, without saying where decided to transfer me. After being transferred some X recording machine asked for me to leave a message and then I hung up. Then started a new chat with someone else who reduced my monthly bill to $38.22 which I recently paid, but said that could not do anything about the other charges because needed manager support and would call or have someone call at 10:30 AM the next day (10/24/2016).

No one called, but they did not forget to send me a bill of $110.22 due on Nov 07, 2016 and a threat of internet interruption if at least $56.61 are not paid by October 31, 2016. FYI: I printed all the conversations and have kept up will all their lies and discomfort which they have caused. This is causing me distress and for this reason I am seeing a psychiatrist for this anxiety which is a direct cause of the continuous bullying of AT&T. I have decided to not pay and will soon seek legal action. Also, I will not trust AT&T anymore. Here's a list of laws they broke: 1) Unlawful seizure of private property from my legal residence (Modem). 2) False charges applied to account on behalf of point (1). 3) Unlawful extra charges, fees & interests on behalf of points (1) & (2). 4) Breach of contract, since I was always charged over $37/monthly.

Ethical Conduct which AT&T operative & managers broke. 1) Lied to customer about fixing the issue and yet continued the same money scam. 2) Unprofessional resolution and tough, near impossible compromises. 3) Unwilling to talk, cooperate, solve or escalate the problem to higher level staff. 4) Unwilling to explain continued billing issues, origin of charges and fees. In all, I should've never trusted AT&T as my provider.

In April 2016 I called AT&T to cancel my services because of the increase in my bill during the two years' contract and was told that if I switched to DirecTV which they owned I would get a set rate of 135.00 per month for internet and satellite. I got that rate in May and from June to December the rate has gone up. This month it is 224.00. I was also told if I cancelled before 2 years the fee would be 250.00. When I spoke to them on Friday for the ninth and final time for over 90 minutes, I was told to disconnect would be 480.00. Additionally the manager, Aaron was very rude. I have already blasted them on social media and I will not stop.

I have been with AT&T for 5 years. Everything was good for the first few years, until I decided to cut the cable cord on cable and use only U-Verse internet about a year and a half ago. Since then we have had nothing but problems with our service and the customer service when you try to resolve these issues is even worse. Over the last 18 months we have not had a steady stream of service for any longer than a few weeks. The internet speeds are always far below what they should be and often times will simply cut out.

We are not gamers or over-average internet users in my household at all. We have 2 televisions where we stream Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix, and partake in very standard computer use. We cannot watch Netflix on both televisions without one slowing down and having to restart every 30 minutes to an hour. If we are using the computer, the streaming slows to a crawl. We call, service improves for a week or two and then it is right back to the usual slow service. Unacceptable for almost $80/month.

But the worst of it is dealing with their "customer service," and trust me, I use that term very lightly. I am now dealing with a mysterious late fee placed on my bill (multiple representatives have confirmed I have never been late on a payment), which I was never notified of until I called the company to complain about the slow service again. The first time I called on the 14th of December, I had to go through 4 different representatives who all said the same thing - they had gone back to 2015 and could not see anytime where I had been late on payment and so the fee had to be wrong, but they couldn't do anything.

Finally, after spending 40 minutes dealing with this, I was transferred to a manager who after another 20 minutes agreed to reverse the charge because he also confirmed that it had no basis in fact for being there. Almost an hour on the phone to fix a seemingly simple issue, or so I thought. Well fast forward to Monday 12/19, I get a phone call from AT&T saying they have information and call them back. When I do so, I get shuffled around and have to explain the story another 3 times even though they could very easily look at notes in their system.

When I finally get to a "manager" he is incredibly rude and actually hangs up on me saying "I am just going to cancel your service then." No, I did not ask for the service to be canceled, and you do not hang up on a paying customer. When I called back, told my story another 3 times to get to a manager again, I am told they have no notes saying the fee would be reversed and they will not do so. I told them to listen to the tapes, because all calls are recorded. The woman I spoke with, after a lot of pushing, finally says she will escalate the request and they will pull the tapes and get back to me within 24-48 hours.

I am mildly satisfied with this because I know if they pull the tapes they will clearly hear the original manager I spoke with state that the charge will be removed. It is now December 21st and I receive another phone call from AT&T, have to explain the situation again, even though they called me to talk about it so they should have read notes. And big shocker, they have not pulled the tapes and are repeating the same line they have been since Monday - charge is not being reversed, I have to pay the fee. I have now spent almost 2 1/2 hours over 3 days on the phone with AT&T dealing with a situation that never should have been a problem in the first place.

I would not recommend U-Verse to my worst enemy at this point. Their customer service staff is very poorly trained and has no concept of doing the right thing, following through on promises, or how to take care of their customers in general. If you are thinking of U-Verse, stay as far away as possible and don't do it. You will regret it if you use their service.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AT&T Uverse Internet service is provided by AT&T, one of the oldest utility companies in the United States. With over 10,000 patents and nationwide coverage, AT&T offers various Internet, telephone and satellite options to customers all over the country.

• Online orders: Customers can order services directly from the AT&T Uverse website. Available options are based on zip code and street address.
  • 24/7 support: Uverse technical support is available 24 hours a day via telephone, and live chat is available via the AT&T website.
  • Reliability: Users get a dedicated line with steady services and little variability in speed, even during the busy evening hours.
  • Easy switch: Moving from another company to AT&T is simple and quick as the company offers coverage to the majority of U.S. addresses.
  • On the go mobile viewing: Subscribers can download the Uverse app to view live or recorded TV straight from their mobile devices.
  • Best for Those who need a reliable connection for news, information and homework help.

Compare Internet Service Providers