AT&T Uverse

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have never posted a review of any type but I have hit my limit with AT&T. This is the worst provider of internet service I have ever experienced. We have DSL from AT&T since it is the only game in town (even though uverse cable runs just past our neighborhood). Our entire neighborhood's DSL service is beyond terrible. We have collectively complained for years with no results.

For the past 3 months our service has been practically nonexistent. It works at very low speeds maybe 10% of the time and the other 90% nothing at all. Various neighbors have had AT&T out more times than I can count but nothing ever improves, if anything it gets worse. At my insistence they sent someone out yesterday but it happened to be part of the 10% of the time it was working. The technician was a genuinely good guy and wanted to try to help. I insisted to him that something was wrong in the neighborhood. He promised that he would check the "box" of the neighborhood as he left and to call me if he found anything.

About 30 minutes later he called as promised and told me that the interior of the box was soaking wet. He promised that he would report this to his supervisor to try to get the problem handled. I then reported this to the neighborhood (we have an email chain) and was surprised to find that on at least two other occasions others had technicians tell them the box was full of water and that was causing at least part of the problem. Apparently there is no coordination or desire to fix what has previously been recognized as a long term problem. I never thought I would miss Time Warner.

I ordered service on the internet and get a call from a car. They cancelled my package for no reason and replaced the internet service that was bundled with the directv package. When ATT rep. Showed up to install the equipment, he said they could not do it as told.

Recently I got U-Verse. After trying several time at other addresses they managed to get the DSL line close enough, something AT&T was not able to do before. Of course the installation took two weeks. They came, they left everything upside down for 2 weeks then they came back to figure out that it was not provisioned. We got the business package for $100 a month, our max speed is 15.5 mbps. Comcast was giving us 40 to 60 mbps at $80.00 per month.

Then it came the time to configure the router. AT&T provides a router that runs proprietary, wide open no firewall or ways to set one up for it does not support to be used as a bridge. The router forces a NAT and a double NAT will not work at all. So now we're stuck with a slow internet connection paying more every month with a cancellation fee and a router supposedly for business that is wide open even disclosing passwords and the full network topology. Pathetic security. Changing the admin password will not make a bit of a difference because besides the fact that you can reset it with the password printed on the device, AT&T has a back door access to rewrite the config file at any point killing all your network settings.

Was told last Saturday I'd have wifi service today. Never showed but I'm supposed to pay $99. And then had to reschedule my day again to have them come out tomorrow and charge me another $99. And to show sympathy they offered me $10 off.

I have the bundle package with U-verse, Home phone, internet and DirecTV that costs me roughly around over $280 monthly. I called in August to get bill reduced by taking off premium channels like Starz, HBO, etc. I did not have service those services since August but was still charged for them. I received my September bill and called the company where I was told there was no record of this conversation but I felt it should have reflected from my services being changed instead of me being credited back.

They told me that I would see the changes on my account in September. Okay, here we are in December and I still have an outrageous bill. I have explained to them time and time again I cannot afford these prices. My job will be ending soon and I have been trying to reduce my account amount since August. This is ridiculous. Oh yeah they put $40.91 on hold which I should not have. They must have agents that don't know what they are doing this and I am still being charged a penalty on it. They appear to be money hungry even when they are wrong.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

They can't get billing right to save their lives. I've spent a couple hours every month for the past 3 months trying not to get overcharged for the "free" movie channels I never ordered and that I canceled. Every month they assure me they've fixed it and every month on my bill they've overcharge my account - the icing on the cake, they even add late fees on portion of bill I was instructed to deduct when I paid, services I neither owed nor paid! 1 star is too much! This has been a nightmare. DirecTV basic channels are poor unless you like lots of shopping channels.

Just received a call about our cable service. We told the caller we use Time Warner and he said he was with Time Warner and was looking at our account. He wanted to offer us a "premium" deal with more features at less cost. So, we said we'd listen. He transferred us to a product manager who said he was with AT&T and DirecTV. Totally dishonest and deceitful.

I was promised faster internet speeds... The AT&T technician even came in and changed the port, changed the outdated router that I had 6 years ago, and check everything outside such as which wires are causing the interruptions, even changed my Ethernet cable to have only experienced 0 PROGRESS! This is completely outrageous! No matter what I do as to blacklisting devices that I don't want in terms of my gaming experiences for MAC FILTERS LIST, it seems to have no progress. I basically blocked every other devices from the router, and still no PROGRESS WHATSOEVER... I've been a loyal customer of AT&T for 7-8 years now and this is the thanks I get as a customer... THANKS A LOT. NOT... I wish there was 0 stars. They definitely do NOT deserve even 1 star from me. This is completely unsatisfactory.

Our broadband cable was severed by accident by our landscaper. Fourteen days later, we are still without internet services and have no idea when it will be fixed. This is all despite having a family member with serious health issues that require contact with multiple medical professionals via internet.

We called AT&T on Wednesday 11/23/2016, the day before Thanksgiving because our AT&T Uverse was not coming on. We spoke with a call center in India Which the time and days are ahead of the USA. Was told we would get a new modem to watch UVerse TV on Saturday. It is now Sunday and no modem when promised. Called them back and was told we would get modem today. No modem yet. Called them back and was sent a tracking number. The tracking number says the modem will be delivered on Tuesday 11/29/2016. We have no recourse at this point.

We are at the mercy of AT&T unfortunately till our contract is up the end of December 2016. Only one more month and we will cancel internet, Uverse TV and 2 cell services and never look back on a company that only cares about saving money by giving our jobs out to other countries that don't care about keeping customers happy and staying with the company. I'm ashamed to know AT&T is ashamed to give US citizens a job. After reading the review, I'm ashamed to tell anyone I have AT&T!

My wife has AT&T Uverse before we met and she moved in with me after we got married. I canceled her service in August 2016 by calling and going into an AT&T Store (as we were told on the phone to go to the AT&T store to turn in the equipment and cancel the account). The AT&T store said we had to go the UPS store which we did. In September I got a bill showing the service was still active. She called and was told they received all the equipment required was received in early August. They said they would give us a credit and don't pay. In October we got the same bill with another month of service and called again only to be told the same thing. Again today, we got a bill showing a 98.25 credit with a past due amount of 236.87. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR AT&T. I have had Comcast (now Spectrum) and the service is excellent. I am also canceling my AT&T phone service and going back to Verizon.

Completely negative experience through the entire start up process. I started my order online on 11/07/16, picked my service (TV&Internet) and installation date for 11/18/16. I set my Xfinity services to end 11/19/16. No one showed up on 11/18 and I called, there was errors on my account and there was delays from the online orders and required $100 payment for Uverse and $21.95 for DirecTV. I paid and AT&T had to cancel and reopen a new account and got a new date for 11/21/16.

Monday the 21st came and again no one showed up. I called, there was still errors and need to cancel and reopen my account again. At this point I was frustrated, they didn't offer anything for the delay on their end. I got a new date for 12/09/16 after I spent nearly two hours. I kept getting promises that they'll try getting a new date. I called once again on the 22nd to see if I could get a new date, due to holidays around the corner, the best they can do was 11/28/16. I called Xfinity right after, they sent someone with new equipment on the 23rd at 9 am sharp. I had to cancel the services with AT&T. I didn't understand after so many errors and their end, I kept getting put at the end of the line each time. I've never felt so frustrated with trying to get something simple as internet!

I used to have AT&T/Directv combined building. I discontinued my service with AT&T effectively Sept. 2, 2016. AT&T continued to charge me for the next two months for services I no longer had. After calling in 3 times, I finally spoke with Laurel who properly disconnected my service. I was credited for the amount of non-service which left me a balance of over 100.00. I paid that bill and received a bill from Directv which stated no payment was made on my behalf.

I called in once again to straighten this issue. I spoke with Richie from AT&T who was RUDE beyond comparison to me and the Directv representative who was also on the line. Richie never listened to either of us and constantly interrupted both of us. His supervisor, Rickey was a little better; when I asked for his badge number, he refused to give it to me. I got it anyway. It is RC 1949. Both of them need classes in customer service. The Directv representative could really teach them how to listen to the customer. AT&T should be ashamed of who they are hiring and how poorly they are trained to adhere to customer requests. I never will go back to AT&T, but I will forever remain a DIRECTV customer.

Long story short... RUN! Tried them out, was horrible! Canceled within the 30 day trial and they continued to bill us for months! I have been on the phone with them 5 times (literally) and they assure me that it's being taken care of and that we are canceled. The next month we get a larger bill and late notices. Last call was 90 mins long. I was promised by a manager that this would all be resolved. That was 3 weeks ago. Today we got a notice that they sent us to a collection agency! We have perfect credit! Now I can let them ruin our credit or pay the bill? Isn't that called stealing? I have filed a complaint with the consumer protection agency. Worse yet, there are over 25,000 complaints about this very issue online and my brother just told me he had the same problem and ended up paying over $200.00 for ZERO services just to save his credit. Save yourself!

Long story short, had U-verse for a year with no problems other than very slow internet. After my 1 year deal was up I called to upgrade from U300 to U450. Instead of upgrading my channels they knocked out almost all of my channels. After 8 days 20 phone calls, 4 visits from technicians, 2 online chats, numerous unreturned calls from supervisors, and an incredible amount of misinformation I am giving up. I was with Comcast for a long time and thought their customer service was bad, however they both compete very hard to be the worst. At least Comcast internet was faster and I was never without cable.

I am extremely frustrated with the service!!! I was trying to switch my mothers' U-verse account to a regular AT&T phone, and it took me forever to find out what needs to be done and the cost. We decided not to do a switch, as it was not worth it and I called to cancel the order. They gave me a conf number, and I called again to confirm that everything will stay the way it is. However, my mother's phone stopped working in a few days. We've been on the phone with AT&T for a week every day for several hours trying to restore the service. They sent a technician, but nothing worked. I called today to cancel phone service for my mom, and have been transferred 3 times, and the last person just hang up on me after keeping on hold for 20 min. I cannot even cancel after all!!! No stars!!!

I'm sooo very tired of customer service people at AT&T not speaking clear English! While on the phone trying to sort out a log in issue, somehow 911 was called and were responding to my address! I didn't call them... what a debacle. Dispatcher upset with me, police on the way. Unclear about what happened??? 2 days now trying to log in to pay bill, and I get this BS.

I enrolled with AT&T for service, called passport and somehow cancelled the next day before it could even start on 9 Nov 2016 and called to cancel. The lady said "no problem we'll credit". Now the bill came on 19Nov 2016. The service was still there and of course the charge was there. Called on 19Nov 2016 at about 3:45 pm. Same thing, the guy said "So sorry. Somehow the credit did not go thru. We'll credit now." Just to double check I called again on 21 Nov 2016 at about 1 pm. Guess what, the same no action, do not know what to do, still waiting for credit, will now change the service from AT&T to some one else, but not sure what they will do.

I was totally scammed. The salesman rang my doorbell and told me that I could have cable for the same price I was already paying for my landline and internet. I told him that I wasn't interested in cable. I get 17 channels through my antenna. But he said it'd be free for two years because I'd be "bundling" my AT&T services and while it would cost about $54/year more, I'd be entitled to a $100 Visa gift card. Still, I told him I'd only be interested if I could get TCM, ESPN and CNN. He said I would! Ok, sounded too good to be true (it was) so I said "what if I want to cancel?" He said no problem, there's no cancellation fee, just wait to cancel until after installation or he wouldn't get his AT&T commission. In hindsight, this should've been a red flag, but I trusted AT&T.

When I asked to see the channels I would be getting, he said he didn't have a channel guide he could leave me, but ASSURED me that I'd be getting TCM, ESPN & CNN. On installation day, the tech guy destroyed a delicate bush I'd planted and been nurturing for 12 years by carelessly planting a patio chair on top of it which broke ALL of its branches. After 2 hours, it was time to get a lesson in how to work the clicker. That's when I learned I'd been scammed. I had none of the promised channels. No wonder the salesman didn't leave me with a channel guide (he said he only had one copy).

He got his commission and I lost a beloved carefully tended bush. I called his supervisor who told me "We understand that not every customer is going to be happy". I was given no consideration for the fact that I'd been intentionally scammed in order for a salesman to earn a commission. I lost a treasured bush, didn't receive what had been promised, and learned that AT&T doesn't care. Buyer beware.

When trying to determine if AT&T was the best option as an internet service provider... the sales rep (Taylor) finally said "I will throw in basic U-verse". At that point it seemed like a good deal so I agreed to the service. After the installation (this was done at my grandchildren's apartment not my home) they found that they had internet only. When I called to find out how they were to use their U-verse I was told I did not have that package. I asked that they pull up my original conversation (they say they are monitored for quality assurance purposes, right?) but was told they couldn't. Sounds like old time trickery to me. :(

I'm a customer of 20+ years. I purchased a BluRay/DVD player to get Netflix. It lock my network and I called AT&T for support. Each of 3 calls were directed overseas and the conversation was nearly inaudible. When the voice situation was under control, a lengthy sales pitch was delivered about other products... all 3 times. I just wanted to fix what I broke, not talk about products I don't need or want. This company is way too big. I resent having to talk to a robot for the amount of money I spend each month (335.00). It is unnecessary to be given a different number because you selected the wrong prompt number (which the robot indicated was the choice you wanted) to yet repeat the issue... again. Shame on AT&T for becoming such a technological giant that it loses touch with its client base.

I called to opt out of AT&T UVERSE before my trial period ended. We had extensive problems. I was informed by customer service that if I allowed them to repair the service, they would refund all payments since I subscribed to the service. I had numerous technicians work on the system with no avail. I called the overseas customer support, and was informed that I would have to pay for any further service calls. I could not get them to understand that my service was never repaired. They would not send out anyone else for repairs.

I wrote email after email to sales, customer service, etc. Nothing happened. I finally received a flyer and called the sales department and they transferred me to a person who gave me a tier 2 repair number to call. I called and a tier 2 tech came out. He found that my system had been improperly installed. By now it was the one year anniversary of the installation. He recommended I request a full refund. I had not been able to use my fax, had terrible internet, and my system froze up to 50 times a day, and had to be reset up to 25 times a day. I had no HD signal.

A month later, I have more freezes than ever, and my system now loses internet regularly. I requested AT&T refund my money and remove the system. They were to respond with 5 days according to the customer service individual. Nothing has ever been done. I was supposed to get 75mb bandwidth. When I have internet service 43mb is the best I have ever gotten.

They have raised the monthly fee by nearly $75 after the contract period ended. I have requested the system be removed. I can get no response except run around. You will find that there is no place to call but overseas, and no one there has cared about repairing my service. I will never recommend that anyone use this service. If you do, make certain you have all their US customer service and sales numbers. I still cannot find them.

I have had to call customer service several times and they are very nice. I have no problems with that. My problem is that the connection drops constantly. I will be in the middle of watching something (usually when I am watching DVR) and it will just freeze and stop for no reason. As someone wrote before I don't understand why this keeps happening to a service that the cables were underground. The weather is always perfect when this happens so there really no need for it. It is making me miss my Directv dish! I really expected more from Uverse. Oh, on a related note one night I wanted to watch something I recorded and surprise! All my recordings were gone. I had to have a new box put in. Arrg.

I'm not big on writing reviews, but this is the worst company I have ever received services from. AT&T is a big joke. My cell phone doesn't get messages till way after the fact. The cable has the nerve to go out sometimes and it's not even dish. The wifi is the ABSOLUTE WORST!!! This is a total rip off that unlimited package crap. I suppose it may as well be unlimited because you barely get any service. The Wifi never works. I have a Ethernet cable plugged directly into the router and it still does not function properly. The first technician told us to call us if we have any issues. Apparently when it is first installed the person who installed it is suppose to come out and make adjustments. We called him and sent text messages 3 days in a row with no response.

Finally we called the company. Another Technician came out and said we have a bad card and that is why we have no good signal. In response I questioned him and asked how a new install could have a bad card. He simply shrugged his shoulders and his was we just install whatever the company gives us. We tested the internet and moments later he informed me that there must be someone in the complex with a strong signal. He said to give it a while and see if what he has done eventually helps. Well the results were the same and he then told him us to get an Ethernet cord and basically good luck. Also when you call and complain they tell you if a tech comes out and they think it's your fault then you are charged a service fee. So basically we are paying for a service we cannot use!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A COMPLETE RIP OFF!!! As a result I can't do my job at home!

I had issues with very slow service for several months and was told on more than 1 occasion that my internet was slow due to us have the slower internet package. After 3rd call they agreed to send out a technician. The technician said there was a problem with something outside and he would have to have someone else come out to fix problem. Whatever technician did was of no help. I called again to customer service and they told me my modem was bad. The representative told me that he would send me new modem but failed to tell me that promotion was void and that there would be a 7.00 monthly charge.

I received my statement today and promptly contacted customer service and spoke with AR and he told me that he would get charge permanently removed but after speaking to his back office they would not remove charge. I was then transferred to itech and again was told that that is one charge they can't adjust. Needless to say I'm not happy and would NOT recommend AT&T to anyone.

I have been a AT&T customer for many many years. Was the first in the neighborhood to get DSL service. U-verse finally became available in my area so I called and decided to take the internet, phone and TV bundle. Was hesitant about the phone part but was assured that a battery backup WAS included with the service... that it was built into the modem itself; was also given a written list of available channels for the TV. They installed everything again assuring me there was a battery backup for the phone. I tried to program the remote but some of the channels that I watch were NOT on the channel guide even though they were on the printed one and then the service started to go on and off and there was no battery backup. Sitting here at 2am with a dead phone was very frightening. It turned itself back on but then a while later it happened again.

Today was a day of wasted phone calls to tech which are utterly useless. I talked to 6 people including a supervisor that told me anything that came to their minds. They said they didn't provide battery backup but I could buy one and pay for installation. I said why when I was promised one would come with it then it was “We'll reboot the modem...” Did nothing. “Is your phone on now?” Duh… “I'm talking to you aren't I?” “Well it must be the line. Call the modem manufacturer.” Ah... “Why call them when you say it's your line?” Then “Well you can always dial 911 anyway.” Ah... not without a dial tone, you can't dial anyone. He repeated that one 3 times and on and on, one stupid thing after the other. Finally after about 4 hours of listening to this nonsense they said they would send someone. Also no reason for missing channels. Was told to go back to Direct. It was cheaper anyway which is what I did.

They came and changed it back to what I had. Tonight the repairman came a real English speaking intelligent person so smiled and opened the one case on the wall... there is NO batteries in it at all and then he opened the modem and there's no batteries in that either. He said that's the way they come and he's never even seen a battery for the modem so the battery backup was a complete outright lie. He put a battery in the one but he said that only does the outside (don't ask) and would do nothing for having me have power for emergency phone.

He said the only real solution was to go ahead and find a battery backup unit and buy one. The phone is still going out when it feels like it… so far once today. Their tech service is nonexistent. Techs know nothing but can read a few sentences off a computer screen and I totally resent being lied to and having services misrepresented. Much more and I'm dumping the whole thing and going with someone else.

AT&T has continued to deceive its client just so we can have them for our service provider. I was promised a visa rewards card worth $ 400. I was never given clear instructions on how to claim it and in fact was told not to expect anything in the mail other than the $400 visa card, only to find out later it was not true. I was supposed to claim it via a corresponded mail. I found out 5 days later that my claim period had expired and I couldn't claim the $400. I was to claim it via a correspondent within a month and a half... I felt set to fail and duped... I hate AT&T for that.

It took me 4 days and multiple attempts to place an order. You are placed on automatic hold. My longest wait time was 1 hour when I finally hung up. On the 5th day I finally got a person - yea! So happy. Call went smooth, ordered what I needed and waited 6 days for installation. Took 4 hours off work. Went outside at the scheduled arrival time to greet truck. 20 minutes of waiting and I got a text. "Hey! This is Cameron. I am your technician." I respond back to text msg. "I don't see you. I am outside." No reply. I called his number. No reply. I waited another hour thinking maybe he is on a pole hooking it up? Call AT&T. At the moment of my call I get a text message that says "Sorry I missed you. Call to reschedule."

I spent the next two hours on the phone with 3 different people in 3 different departments. Set up another appointment for the next day. I get another text message "Sorry I missed you. Call to reschedule" 2 hours before the scheduled appointment! I am home and never left. The door was actually open all morning. Obviously this tech is off doing something and just sends out bogus messages. I am livid. Neither time did I get a call or knock on the door. Tried calling AT&T but I was placed on hold for 33 minutes before I hung up. Still no internet. AT&T is my only option. ATT SUCKS!

EVERY month, for 9 months, I've had issues with the combined U-verse DirecTV billing. In order to give me reasonable loyalty pricing, I was told that I had to disconnect and re-establish both my U-verse and DirecTV services (even though I had just set up my U-verse high-speed internet account). Apparently, my first combined billing account was set up improperly, SO... somebody set up a NEW account number, which led to improper application of my PAYMENT for 3 months.

This led to a suspension of my DirecTV services in September, until I was able to navigate the maze of disconnected AT&T departments to determine that my payment was applied to a closed account, a refund check was generated and sent to me (to be received in up to 6 weeks). Once I figured out the misapplication, I had to make 4 independent calls to get the payment properly applied. While the payment was misapplied, AT&T was only too happy to charge me a LATE FEE. Hours of my life later, my service was resumed. That time.

THIS MONTH'S bill was paid EARLY (received by November 10th, due November 12th), applied to the correct U-verse billing account (amazing, considering I had had to research and troubleshoot that three months running). For some unfathomable reason, DirecTV chose to disconnect my service. When I called the AT&T Integrated DirecTV services line, eventually, they were able to restore my service (after spending 3 hours on the phone). They have YET to give me a straight answer as to WHY, in spite of early payment, the disconnect order was issued, assuring me it won't happen again (based on what, who knows). The call required supervisor intervention.

The Arizona call center requires supervisors to approve service transactions, but operators do not provide supervisor operator numbers. Operators transfer calls to their supervisor, assure the customer that their supervisor is sitting at their desk ready to receive the call, only for the customer to be on MUSIC HOLD again, for several minutes prior to disconnect. When the customer calls back, (s)he has to call back, wait through a several minute wait queue and start the process over EVERY TIME.

Then, when the 'supervisor' is messaged to call back the customer, once again apparently ignoring the call-back message, the whole annoying process starts all over again. After all is said and done, when customer service is incapable of answering the root cause of the service disruption, the customer is told there are no other avenues to pursue an explanation. It seems AT&T has a policy of hiding inadequate fragmented customer service behind an anonymous corporate veil.

Very dissatisfied. AT&T DSL Extreme. Think the Extreme part stands for extremely SLOW. Not sure, but I think I missed a birthday waiting to get online. Need to find a better provider in Spring Hill, Fl area, but not a lot of choices. Speeds vary from a high of 2.85 to a low of.04. I'm told that's normal as traffic picks up, things SLOW down. Very, very frustrating.

Compare Internet Service Providers