3.8/5 (4713 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

In my neighborhood, there are not many service provider options for high speed internet. I live in a suburban area, but perhaps because of the hills, there are very few options. Spectrum offers the best available with promises of increasing the speed over the last decade, but it remains similar. It’s not as fast as it could be during peak usage, but for the most part, it is reliable. I am not a gamer. I just stream movies occasionally in a household of 3, and use the internet for business.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Spectrum cell service is available for Spectrum Internet users. The price was definitely the tipping point for deciding to use. It’s $14 per line, one gig per month. Since we do not use data much one gig is plenty. We have not experienced calls dropping or poor call quality like we’ve had with other providers. They will let you bring your own device, but there is some limitations on which devices they accept. They also have interest free repayment plans on popular phones. All over great experience.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

In regards to my experience with Spectrum, when I had a problem with the connection, the Company had two repair Technicians to come out to my home. However, when one e was unable to solve the connection problem, the other took the time to retrace what may have been missed during the repair. Yes, the second Technician found what the issue was. He replace the old equipment with new equipment; explain to me the reason why the old equipment was not working properly; took the time to go over the steps as to how their new equipment was better; and remove the monthly payment from my bill!

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have the full package, TV, Internet, phone and DVR. The service is in my opinion, is very good and borderline outstanding. Going into my third year with Spectrum I have had very few problems and those were addressed by their customer service team in a timely manner. The high speed internet is very reliable with speeds close to advertised. I have had cable and satellite in the past including both Dish and Direct and after moving to Spectrum I find it to be far superior in terms of quality and programing and the internet is far above any other supplier.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I know lots of folks want to bash cable, but I just wanted everyone to know we had an incredible service experience! The "cable guy" who came to help us with issues following a lightning strike was the most experienced, knowledgeable, and pleasant rep of ANY company with whom I have worked. There were multiple diagnostic issues, since the extent of the damage to wiring, boxes, modems, splitters, amp was initially unknown. Jon S from Farmers Branch, TX Spectrum spent the time needed to discover the problems and resolve them. Additionally, he provided a way for me to make contact in case there were follow up issues. He was an incredibly capable and communicative, and the experience was a complete surprise given our history with cable service providers. Whatever they need to do to retain employees like Jon should be done - give him a raise, promote him, whatever it takes. I can only hope to have service from someone like him in the future.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Recently switched service from Tmobile to Spectrum. The spectrum representative neglected to tell me that I needed to cancel the phone number associated with the tablet I was moving to their service. As a result, I was charged a month and 1/2 service with tmobile (over $100) for the uncanceled line. As many people would - I was thinking device, not device number. Seems like a matter of protocol to inform new customers that they would need to cancel something like that. I was told all was good and that I didn't need to do anything with tmobile.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

After the 24 month introductory period is over, the basic internet cost increased by $25/mo! It's definitely not worth the price if you have other options. The free modem they gave me was weak junk, so I had to buy my own.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

It has taken me lots to get frustrated enough to seek out online sources to write a negative review! Had internet that was ok until the pandemic started. Then my internet became slow, would drop and no amount of technical assistance helped. I was told by a technician to buy my own modem. When I did I was then told it wouldn’t work unless I bought my own router. Bought my own router. Still iffy. Had added the streaming service as it was to have local TV channels. It didn’t. When I tried to cancel the streaming service was told my internet would be more a month. Was disconnected, waited for twenty minutes at a time. There is no end to the trouble I’ve had with them. I will be looking for a new provider! If you are looking for internet or cable that provides good customer service DON’T GET SPECTRUM!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I've had Spectrum for over 5 years, I ended up moving so I called and spoke to someone to change services. Nowhere in that conversation did they state my bill will double. I called after paying one month and 2 weeks into my current billing cycle. They didn't want to work with me, they kept passing me off and what spectrum does is that they will charge you the full month yet cancel on the day of request with no prorates. So if you cancel a week or 2 weeks as I did they stop service yet still charge you full price and not cancel when billing cycle ends. First time I had an issue and this is how they treat people. There are other streaming and now internet services so until they lose enough they will not care. Try streaming and other internet avenues before going to spectrum. The wifi is spotty as well unfortunately.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I had many problems with their service, the equipment I was provided failed and then customer service kept accidentally deactivating my new boxes! Additionally, Spectrum charges way too much for their sub-par service. I had internet and 2 tvs and I paid $177 a month... I cancelled with them and am now with ATT- service is great and I pay $50 now vs $177. Additionally, I had a huge problem with them raising my bill out of the blue. TONS of fees I went from $140 to $177 without any notification from them. It was probably in the fine print. Absolutely despicable business practices. Whenever I see a spectrum commercial I get a little angry with their "no extra fees!" claim because it is so untrue.

Spectrum Company Information