2.65/5

1281 Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2019

When I went with Spectrum I took the bundle package TV internet landline and never used the landline once, my bill was $105.00 per month, after 1 year without notice the bill is now $155.00. I called and the person I dealt with was pleasant and tried to explain to which she was right I should have read the fine print. So I ask her if I could get the new promotional ad and was told no it was for new customers only. She explained I could leave for 90 days and come back however the promo may not be available. I am on disability and budget my money very well, but since then I have had to pay my bill in 3 payments each month. I enjoy having spectrum but it's getting harder to pay. If spectrum would look at the people leaving versus new customers does this make for a good business practice? I wish they would reconsider and allow existing customers to take advantage of the new promotional plans.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Let me share my recent customer service experiences w Spectrum! I Ordered cable & internet from Spectrum because the apartment I moved to would not allow DISH. I was sold by Spectrum “the Apple TV” streaming box instead of a 3rd cable box for the same price. Before Spectrum, I was with another company and obviously, I don’t intend to mention their name.

After spending majority of my time on the phone with their so called “CUSTOMER NO SERVICE “, they reluctantly agreed to a return/replacement, which could take 7-10 days with no assurances that the replacement would even work. I faced some technical issues with Spectrum too, but the tech said He could look at my Apple TV setup and that too without any charge. I don’t know much about the product but as far as customer service is concerned, I was sold on it.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Really easy to set-up recordings from computer or smartphone, great to use while traveling ~ you can watch on other devices, very strong and fast wi-fi, easy and fast scheduling appointments with good customer service. I have all home so I can record and watch from any room in my house, which is especially important when hubby wants to watch sports. Red Zone is the most important feature for my husband and sons ~ very inexpensive program for football lovers who do not want the expense of total football packages.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The customer service is above average. The only issue that I really have is the value and price of the services. For the price, the number of channels that you receive does not seem to be worth what you pay. The Internet price could be a little bit lower, but is OK. I have not had any trouble with the customer service when I have called for help.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I know I’m not alone when I say, Spectrum's Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired. We have been paying for 300 Mbps since November 2017, however we NEVER received speeds that were even close to what was promised. We made calls and had Service Technicians out to the house. They never resolved the issue!! My last call to Spectrum Customer Service was the worst! The representative was rude and offered me a $10 credit for my troubles. I asked for a Manager but I was told that wouldn’t provide me with anything more than the $10 credit. I had enough and decided to scour the internet for another avenue of help, and I found it!! I emailed a corporate employee at: **.

Within 10 minutes I received a call from Ms. **. She referred me to my local contact in Charlotte, NC. The very next day I had SIX Spectrum trucks on our property!!! These men were the kindest people, who were genuinely vested in finding a solution for our internet issues. They were all Managers in their respective field, and provided their personal cell phone numbers.

Over the course of 3 days they fixed our problems and educated me on just how internet speeds and broadband works. After the problem was fixed I called my NC contact to ask for a credit for the many months of paying for a service that we never received. She is reviewing the account billing and promised to get back with me today, with the credit amount. Based on the attention I have received as a result of contacting the corporate offices, I have no doubt that I will be satisfied with what they offer. I have only one regret, that I didn’t reach out to corporate Spectrum sooner. Give them a chance to fix your issues, you won’t regret you did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Complaint to Spectrum-Charter. Switched my service from TWC on 4/8/19 to Spectrum! Was given a quote of $134.29 a month. Just viewed my bill online, on my account, as I haven’t received the hard copy yet, and they have already raised the price to $162.19! UNREAL! Called Spectrum to get it straightened out and they have refused to take off the extra $27.90 they are charging me. Will file a complaint with the FCC as well! If they don’t resolve this for me I will probably cancel my service or take some services off my account. I can’t believe they are willing to lose a good customer over this amount!

Here is some background on what is taking place. When I called in on 4/8/19 to switch over they told me to pay $111.18 for the month of April. This was prorated I guess because of starting new service with them for the month of May which was going to be $134.29. I have an email from them stating the new amount and saying they had switched my service. They are telling me now that they don’t know how I got the amount of $111.18 when it appeared on my online account! LOL. FOOLS!

Original review: May 15, 2019

This company will sell you on saving money if you switch, they will then jack your bill up and say you upgraded, and there is nothing they can do about it. My first bill is $250 a month, when I agreed to $127 a month. Do yourself a favor and talk to people about their experiences... No one is happy, matter of fact everybody I talked to hates this company. They never got me straight, cost me a Ton of money to go back to DirecTV. I won't Ever go back to Spectrum. Horrible customer PR. Steer Clear. You think it can't be that bad, then it's 3xs worse.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I called to cancel my Spectrum account yesterday because I got Frontier. Well I called right back to get my account reconnected for Spectrum. They came out today and installed everything. But I've been on the phone since the tech left at 1 and I'm currently still dealing with a price issue. I've talked to 4 reps today. None of them gave me the same info. All of them told me different prices plus I was given the incorrect TV package. I'm missing all the channels I actually watch. The sales rep told me yesterday I would get a better price and discount for opening a new account under my husband. They wouldn't reconnect my account. I use to pay 126 for TV, WiFi and phone on my personal account I just closed yesterday. And so far they can only do 145 and I have less channels than before. The last call he supposedly got me my channels. I currently do not have them. I've been waiting for a call back from another rep who is suppose to fix the problem.

All I want are the channels I had before at a reasonable affordable price. Why is it so hard for cable companies to do this. They should seriously go by income and offer packages according to your income. I guarantee you that they would have tons of customers coming their way. I've never had a problem with their wifi. I really hope they figure this out or I'm cancelling tonight. Just way too many problems - too much stress over TV. I have Netflix and Hulu. I really don't need cable but I want it so I can watch my fave shows. I should not be this stressed out over cable. I'm almost in tears and doing weird mindless things like trying to put a pacifier in my ignition. I'm never like this. The stress is too much. Hey your crap together Spectrum!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I went from Time Warner to Spectrum and they promised better speeds for more money. The speeds were not improved, but pricing was. When I contacted Spectrum, they said it was my modem. I bought a new modem for $119. Same problem. I contacted Spectrum again and they said I was "grandfathered" into an old plan from Time Warner. I am paying $50 a month for 20mbs, but they offer 100mpbs at $45 a month. I asked if I could change plans, they said no. I would have to pay $70 for 100mpbs since Im not a new customer. I contacted the BBB and Spectrum lied and said I agreed the issue was resolved. Nonsense. I am here to complain to everyone about the unfair price hikes, scams and lies. I cant wait for greenlight!

Original review: May 13, 2019

Beware the Spectrum Mobile App auto bill pay feature. The app recently upgraded from TWC to Spectrum. The other morning, I went in to make a partial payment on my account. My intent was to pay half of the past due bill last week, the balance on that bill, this week. Ha! Nope. Did not go as planned. Wiped out my bank account, leaving me $6 for the next 5 days, since, when I tapped on "Make Payment" the app took the ENTIRE amount due! Wonderful. And of course, "we're sorry, there's no way we can reverse this charge."

Not to mention the unnecessary home phone line that cannot be removed, or $45 upcharge "because you have a bundle discount" or the automatic $60 upcharge ar the end of their "introductory" period, and "sorry, we don't have any deals in your area at this time." My bill is now more expensive than AT&T Uverse with less quality. Moving shortly. Cannot wait to cancel this service.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Spectrum has been providing me with terrible internet for 5 years. The ONLY reason I am still a customer is because they have a monopoly on the buildings that I have lived in. After calling in weekly for 8 MONTHS about my internet not working, one technician FINALLY let me know that they SHUT OFF MY WIFI SERVICES without telling me (or letting me know on any of the 30+ subsequent calls with technical service) that I wasn't set up for wifi. As a consultant who works from home from time to time, this company has cost me thousands, not to mention the monthly charge that I essentially toss out my window most months.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Our internet service, our exorbitantly priced internet service, purchased (rented) from Spectrum, who purchased it from Bright House (which was better, although not by much) is once again out of service. It has been out as of this moment for 2 1/2 hours. I found out, about 20 minutes ago, that it's (again) a local problem, affecting a few blocks inside of apartment/condo complex in which we live. This is important because it really limits the number of things that can go wrong/break. This also means that the technician (I use the word technician loosely, very loosely) that is eventually sent out to fix the problem should have everything needed to facilitate the repair the malfunction with them; in other words no reason whatsoever to delay the repair or inconvenience the PAYING customers any more than absolutely necessary.

I know this because I spent most of my adult life as a maintenance technician in Engineering Services for the largest entertainment company in the world. Yet Spectrum knows this is an ongoing problem and does nothing to correct it, except continue to raise prices. This is in spite of the unbelievable number of complaints against their service. I can't speak for all of their service area in our country, but I do know that where we live they get away with it because of no competition. There's only one way to bring a company like Spectrum in line and that's to hit the only thing they pay attention to: their bank accounts. I strongly urge everyone to boycott Spectrum, make them realize they need us way more than we need them.

Original review: May 12, 2019

When I signed up for the package there is a big icon stating if for any reason you are not satisfied within 30 days they refund your money. Now looking at the actual refund terms which are here: https://www.spectrum.com/policies/guarantee-new.html you read that unless there are special installation professional services for internet, tv, and/or phone service you get your money back if not satisfied in the first 30 days. I actually had their service for only 14 hours before cancelling it.

I was not getting the speed promised - up to 400mbs/400mbs - on a hardwired device. It was getting 20mbs/6mbs on their router. I didn't expect to really get 400/400 on all my devices but I get 100/100 minimum on all my devices on my other provider so I expected at least that. I still had a week left of my other internet service provider that is 150mbs/150mbs service and when I plugged the ethernet cable back into my other provider's router I got the usual 100mbs/100mbs for this device. As soon as I plugged it back to the new Spectrum router ... 20mbs/6mbs. They sent out a tech who replaced the router and nothing changed. He insisted it was my ethernet cable or the device even though I plugged it into my other provider router and showed him it got 100mbs/100mbs.

I decided to cancel the Spectrum service since there is a "money back guarantee" and my other provider works better. The installation tech for Spectrum had arrived that morning at 830am, plugged in a 1 foot coax cable to the already existing Spectrum outlet, connected it to their router and modem (2 separate pieces of equipment instead of all in one), turned on their router and got the service working. He was done in 45 min. No special installation work required at all.

After 4 hours that evening with my boyfriend and I calling on separate phones to cancel the service, being redirected to the "RETENTION" department that essentially never answered the phone, finally at 1130pm we managed to be able to get the service account closed. "RETENTION" does NOT want to let you close an account and it took a good half hour to get the request fulfilled once we both got someone on the line. My rep was pushing me to wait for another tech to come to the house but my boyfriend got his rep to close my account.

So finally that debacle was over and I waited for the refund on my credit card for a few days, nothing. My boyfriend and I started calling again to find out when the refund would occur. Well, there is no refund. They only send out prepaid wire cards. So we wait for the wire card and dispute the credit card bill until we get the refund to pay it. Only a portion of it is refunded. The internet service fee for the first month. So back on the phone again, we talked to probably 15 different people and some said no there is no refund and some said yes you should get all your money back. This went back and forth until finally a "Ticket" was put in to request the full credit.

The final outcome so far is: The installation fee that they now have decided to call an "ACTIVATION FEE" is part of the "OTHER FEES AND SURCHARGES" that is NOT refunded. So beware, Charter/Spectrum/Bright House Networks and whatever other names they use pull a bait and switch on you by offering a 30 day satisfaction guaranteed money back refund BUT don't tell you that they only refund the monthly service fee, which if you cancel in 30 days means you didn't use their service for that month anyway, and they DO NOT REFUND THE INSTALLATION fee by playing word games and changing it to be an OTHER FEE AND SURCHARGE item after 2 weeks of phone calls. So you pay $50 plus tax for their service whether you keep it or not. Rather than play word games and lure customers in on a false premise, if they don't want to refund the money they should not offer the bogus guarantee in the first place.

Original review: May 10, 2019

A recent "upgrade" to the set-top box software now shows large unavoidable advertisements embedded in the on-screen cable guide. I believe this is totally obnoxious behavior. Whoever in the Spectrum organization should be fired immediately. Now I can't even select a channel from the channel guide without a barrage of advertising from this third rate company. It makes the despicable AT&T company look better each day.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Signed up on internet for Spectrum service. After supply address etc order service. Received some legal information back to sign. Two days later email came to me sorry no service in your area. Yet they advertise in my area, internet says ok but then No. Spectrum trying to act bigger and better....sorry no.

Original review: May 6, 2019

For years with Time Warner and then the takeover of TW by Spectrum, we always received our billing statement in our email for the next month a few days at the end of the month before that cycle begins. Now they refuse to send it early and you can't see what their billing is for the next month until days after that month cycle starts. I called and talked with a real jerk. He wouldn't tell me what the charge would be and that I didn't need to worry because it wasn't due until 18 days later. He was arrogant and practically laughing at me.

This is a scam by Spectrum to keep us in the dark and they can charge whatever they want and you won't know until you get your late bill or, for some people, bank statement if they have automatic payments from their bank account. I don't work that way with my bills. I need to know and have a right to know what I will be charge. They are notorious for constantly raising rates. Now you won't know until too late.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I had BrightHouse for a couple of decades and got test results close to advertised speeds. Since BH became Spectrum I'm lucky if I get half of what I used to get for the same price. I'm supposed to get 30Mbs down, I'm lucky if I get 10 to 15. During peak hours, I get less than 1Mbs. It's like I'm back to the days of dial-up. All while seeing commercials boasting about all the improvements they're making! They should be sued and prosecuted, or at least run out of business, for the way they're ripping off their customers!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have had Spectrum for years with the same due date, now they changed it that makes my bill due 8 days earlier!!! I called them and was told pretty much too bad they won't change it back to my previous due date! Like my budget don't matter to them! Some people only get paid 2 times a month and to change their due date can be a big problem to them!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Initially I left TWC/Charter/Spectrum about 2 years ago. After many years as a customer with this company, I tried an alternative, wasn't happy with speed on internet, I returned. OK, great for a year -- got a super pack with all kinds of goodies in terms of cable access. A year later no warning except a near miss shut off for a $63 increase to the bill. Now up to $211. I've explained that I'm 65 and entitled to the "senior discount" whatever that may be. Nope, only for new customers. Also explained I need services to use my heart loop recording machine -- too bad is their attitude. Now IDK what to do. So frustrating and their customer service is just a nonchalant and "who cares" attitude. This was a clear "bait and switch" on the plan issue. Overall their services are awful and it doesn't look like it will get any better.

Original review: April 26, 2019

It goes out every time a cloud goes over. There are no excuses. They take it down whenever they please, no such thing as a maintenance window. Unbelievable. Outage every day these last two weeks. Sadly they are the only game in town and they know it. Someday we are going to get a choice and I will drop these guys like a hot rock.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Been unsatisfied with Spectrum for Months. Yesterday, I was harassed and threatened by a local Spectrum employee who refused to leave my property and used intimidation, pointed a pepper spray to my face. Asked him to leave many times but he refused as long as I was not going to give him money. I had previously agreed with Spectrum to pay my bill by May 1st and would take care of any late fees. I was assured that I would not be ever harassed by agents knocking at my door. For the last six days, they can on my property. Spectrum is not taking responsibility since he is an independent contractor. Enough is enough. I am not letting Spectrum get away with that one.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have been a customer for 6 years and have always paid $49/month for internet, plus cable. When I went to cancel cable package and just keep internet, all of a sudden I had to pay $70/month. The rep said this was because $49 was an "introductory" rate. If that was the case, Why did I have it for 6 years! They just try to reel you in but jacking up prices on a service they know you need. In addition, after I said I was dropping the service, they had me wait on hold for 45 minutes. Really??? Horrible company.

Original review: April 25, 2019

We are seasonal customers, having internet for about 4-5 months a year. We have always disconnected in the fall and started up again in the spring. This past year, we were advised to go seasonal rate of $4.99 per month and save activation fee. Now I call up to come off of seasonal and find our rate has gone from $44.99 to $65.99!!! We always got the introductory rate because we were considered a new customer. This year we had the pleasure of paying $4.99 every month we were gone and and the additional kindness of paying $20.00 more a month for being a valued customer!! Lesson learned...just disconnect! After 1 hour of talking and going thru 3 people, they lower our rate to $50 per month...but I will discontinue in the fall.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I called Spectrum to disconnect my service because I'm moving and where I am moving already has Spectrum. The Customer Service Rep tried to get me to change the service at the place I am moving to. He even said he would wait while I called. I simply just wanted to end my service. Prior to this conversation I would have considered returning to them, but the service rep was so persistent when I told him 3 times, "No thanks. Not now." He then was extremely rude. Did not say thank you for being our customer for the past several years, and then just hung up on me. I absolutely dread dealing with them. I will never use them again in the future. They always hook you by giving you a "deal" and then jack up the prices a few months later. There are so many other options now that know how to treat a customer, no need to deal with terrible customer service.

Original review: April 22, 2019

So I wanted to switch over to Spectrum because after a year of service with Frontier, they were set to increase my prices. A Spectrum rep came to the house, sat with us and went over the bundle packages. He had the channel list and went over everything. We chose our package and everything was set. We would be paying about $127 total. A couple weeks later, they hook up service and I noticed I’m not getting all the channels I’m supposed to. I call Spectrum that night and they claim that I only signed up for basic cable which was absolutely not true. They tell me if I want more channels I’ll have to pay extra. I repeatedly tell them that I signed up for the Spectrum silver package already and refuse to agree to pay more.

I call the sales rep the next day and leave a message. He gets back to me the following day and says he’ll look into it. He ends up coming back to the house around 6pm the next evening where I show him the package info he left us, which shows exactly what we signed up for. Since it’s the end of his work day he says he’ll talk to his boss and follow up with us. He of course never got back to us. After about a week of radio silence from the sales rep, I went ahead and called Spectrum to find out exactly how much more I would have to pay for the bundle package I should have had to begin with. The woman quotes me at $162. I was frustrated but went ahead and decided to go with it. I get a bill for $133 in late March and went ahead and paid it. Now late April I get a bill for $323!

I call Spectrum and at first the customer service rep has the nerve to say some nonsense about it possibly being an installation charge. She has my account info. She can clearly see it’s not an installation charge. It’s what they are trying to charge me for a month’s service. I ask her why I’m now being charged almost $100 just for internet service. I never made any adjustment to my internet. The only change that I authorized was to upgrade my cable from basic to the select channels. She tells me I must have requested the upgrade to the internet as well. She’s actually trying to convince me that I requested this. I’m sorry but this woman was just a moron. I can’t believe this is the quality of their reps.

After several minutes of her telling me that I requested the upgrade, her manager comes on the line. He is very apologetic but ends up telling me that he doesn’t know how this could have happened but that the best he could do was charge me $179 plus taxes. I repeatedly tell him that I was told $162 including taxes and he basically tells me that he doesn’t know where the previous rep got that number from. How is that even possible. Aren’t all these conversations recorded? How is it legal to quote a price and then completely deny it.

He tried to get me to agree to the $179 plus tax but I refused. After several more minutes of not backing down on the $162 price he said he’d get back to me. Then he actually tried to get me to switch to their mobile plans! He talked about their reliability! It was such a joke. I couldn’t believe it. This cannot be legal practices for a company. My quoted bill went from $127 to $162 to an actual bill for $323. If this is not a scam, I don’t know what is!

Original review: April 21, 2019

My Spectrum bill is ridiculously high and continues to creep up. While I continue to see "great deals" for new customers, customers such as myself, who have been with BrightHouse and now what is Spectrum continue to see our monthly bills climb ever higher. This is not for any movie channels. This is just for a basic cable package.

The customer service representatives and managers are unwilling to provide any type of solution, saying that "in the end everyone will be paying these high rates." Meanwhile, longtime customers are footing the bill for Spectrum's continued growth. I am paying for 100 MBS internet, yet when I run my random tests, I am not downloading or uploading at this promised rate. The technician tells me "up to 100 MBS." That is false advertising, and so I have requested a copy of documentation explaining the different rates based on what type of connectivity. After all, it should be in writing, right? Bottom line, I am not getting what I am paying for. One thing is for certain, they may not lose all of my service, but I promise they are going to lose most of it.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Updated on 05/07/2019: I spoke with the Spectrum to start my service. All sounded good, I was not told about automatic withdrawal. I was told to accept the minimum plan and if I went over I would go to automatically to the unlimited plan. When I mentioned about the overage charge my bank hit me with because they never mentioned the automatic withdrawal, "Oh Well", is their response. When I mentioned the data plan they promised, they responded for a fee of $45 per line they would switch me and no they would not fix any overage charges they hit me. I had to go to the B.B.B. on them. Response, they do not care about what was promised I have a contract, I found Spectrum to be unethical in their business practice.

Original Review: I have recently started using Spectrum Mobile for my cell phone service because of how bad AT&T is in all. Well Spectrum Mobile is not any better. First I cannot get my account number from them to do any acknowledgements on my account and secondly they have advised me after the fact that I am on an automatic withdrawal from my bank account. This I was not aware of nor did I agree to and have no idea on what is going on with my mobile account because they will not give me my account number. Thirdly I was told to start my service with the minimum required and if I exceeded that they would automatically change me over to the unlimited plan, no such thing. Another lie. Spectrum Mobile is a lying deceitful company that will say anything to get you started.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Worst cable and internet service I've had in 40 years. On a regular basis the box for the TV reboots itself with no warning and takes 20 minutes. Internet download speed is usually only 2mbps tops. Customer service representatives are incredibly rude when to try to call for answers.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I called to cancel tv service. The young lady then beginning telling me about Spectrum mobile. She said I can get two phones for $48 per month which includes 1 gigabyte for data. Not to worry because Verizon Wireless has towers are everywhere. Once I step out of my door I can turn off my data and I will immediately connect to a tower. Phones came. Stepped out my door, in fact I went to work and back. Still not connecting to any towers. I paid $101 for the phones and 1 gb of data. I called Spectrum. Spoke to a rep who said the information the other rep shared was not true. I could have stayed with my other carrier.

Original review: April 17, 2019

They deserve no stars, first they change my modem because computer and phone keep going down. Guy says no extra charge yet immediately my monthly rate jumps up from $90 to $96. Then a few months later (yesterday) they come down since I still have the same problem. Workers seem perplexed and too interested in my items in my house instead of the problem at hand that they should be worried about as usual they got to gawk at my stuff! So supposedly fixed but they say they don't know for sure what problem is and that manager would be down to my house the next day. Well that's a LIE. It's 2 pm and no call - NO MANAGER! Figures! Beware of this company. Their systems tend to go down a lot! And they seem to have glitches in their system that they cannot figure out of fix!

Spectrum Company Information