1.28/5

Last updated: April 21, 2018

796 Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

Well, I recently contacted Spectrum to downgrade services. I wanted to remove TV and phone (I don't even own a landline phone and never use this service), and keep internet only. My first issue is that regardless if I have TV and phone or not monthly services will still run approx $100/mo. I only wanted to get rid of the ugly equipment, cut some useless services, and save some money. Looks like there will NOT be any money saved. They claim that "bundling" is what keeps internet costs down. Long story short here, I kept the services in place. Seems like nothing would change in the monthly expense... though I'm still looking for a way to change their strong hold. Second issue, is that my internet speed mysteriously came to a crawl after I completed my call with Spectrum. I jumped through the traditional hoops to troubleshoot the problem.

Unfortunately, I had to call Spectrum tech support for assistance and still do not have the speeds I had before the call. The situation is disappointing. I feel like they're messing with me, leading me to think I need to upgrade internet since I attempted to ditch other services. There's not any way to vet Spectrum's services and I feel like I'm being ripped off now. Before I could power my Xbox One, my computer, and multiple mobile devices AT THE SAME TIME ON WIFI. Now I'm lucky if I can get my computer online and have decent speeds. Spectrum claims it's a problem with my non-Spectrum router. Contacted my router company... and it's not my router, not the channel(s). Who's the liar? I'm very dissatisfied with Spectrum in every way conceivable. Wish there were other companies available to choose from. Aren't there laws against monopolies?

Original review: April 21, 2018

I’ve had 12 internet outages in the past 12 months that weren’t caused by inclement weather. And the worst one of them all is a week before finals, their customer service had me wait over a week to get internet... Also to make things worse I missed my opportunity at a large scholarship and national play ins for league of legends because I had to forfeit all my games (the worst being that my whole team had to forfeit and everyone lost their scholarship). Company is terrible and internet speeds are not even accurate (I get around 35 mb, when I pay for 50). If you mention your internet speeds aren’t correct they will say it’s the router even though that’s provided (note that it’s a gigabyte router so 50mb<1gb)... So for the 365 days I paid for I got internet for about 250 days because it was unresponsive for weeks at a time.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

This sums up my experience over the last week with Spectrum Cable in Lexington: On Monday (4/16/18) I added TV service to my existing account with an EZ Connect. When I got the equipment home I realized I needed a tech because Dish had used the cable lines through the house. On Wednesday I called, and after I was transferred a couple times, and they said they could have a tech out between 8-9 and that they would honor the $34.99 install quote that I received when I purchased the service.

This morning I waited from 8:00-9:15 and no tech showed, so I was late for work and still had no cable. I was still patient when I went online today and started chatting with someone who indicated that they needed to transfer me to still another person. When chatting with Richard he indicated that it would be $49.99 for the install and he could not honor the original quote.

All I want is to have my cable installed as soon as possible at a cost of $34.99, a reduction of $15, without having to speak to a 6th person. I realize that I screwed up by not scheduling it this way in the first place, but I don’t think that should cause me to spend literally 2.5 hours (up to this point) on the phone and online to get this taken care of.

I'm a long time customer (cable internet company has changed names a few times) and I’m trying to add significant services to my account but this is not giving a good feeling about Spectrum’s customer service. After 2 hours on chat with customer service they finally gave me a $20 credit, which I guess is supposed to make up for being stood up by their technician and spending 4 hours just to schedule an installation.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am so very dissatisfied with the television reception... it tends to break down every night after 7:00 pm. It makes viewing impossible... and totally useless. I personally know approx. 14 family and friends in my area and other nearby area that are contemplating going to the press and doing a mass cancellation which we seem to believe would result in hundreds of dissatisfied customers complaining to our local press outlets (local weekly free publications). This is ridiculous and we will soon act... if no one else does!!!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I called Spectrum for assistance with my Internet hook up, but the representative could not help me. An appointment was scheduled for Spectrum to come out and fix the problem, however, no one showed up. When I called Spectrum, again, they told me the appointment was never scheduled. To date my Internet remains slow despite having subscribed to and paid for 100 speed. I called Spectrum today and, once again, the representative was unhelpful. Most of the representatives I have spoken to are impatient, unhelpful, and borderline rude. I never experienced such issues when Bright House was the service provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: April 11, 2018

They are ripping people off. When you take a service off they still charge you for it. And when they print your bill out they charge you a 10 late fee and your bill is not even due yet, also from billing and customer service they all tell different stories when you talking about your bill. Not only do they send you a bill but it don't be correct. To me Spectrum is No good. They are overcharging and taking people money. They need to be closed and brought out. Bad business.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Worst service ever, unwilling to credit but one day of service for not having service for over 2 months. Questioning me as to why I could not call in sooner, by saying "you mean to tell me you have been hooked up since February and you are just now calling?" Via supervisor Cameron. Why should I have to tell them family issues with death in family. It is blatantly obvious I had no service for 2 months! Credit me the 2 months! It's that simple! One day, Are you kidding me???

Original review: April 8, 2018

This company concerns me. As much as I hate much of the government today. Internet services need to run by that entity. It should never be left up to one company that controls so much of what we do on daily basis. Because of that, we have a company that simply does not care. My internet service has gotten so bad, I thought I was still using dial-up. Oh, you certainly can't speak to anyone, because they make it difficult to do. Why? Because they do not want to talk with you. If I could give them a zero rating I would.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Never had issues with Brighthouse or Verizon, then Spectrum came through and decided I only needed internet for 30 seconds at a time. I'm a hockey fan, and I've yet to watch a game (on their streaming service which I pay for) where the internet didn't cut out at a very key moment. Sometimes just for a minute and sometimes for an hour. I'm moving soon and I can't wait to be out of Spectrum's monopoly. I hope this company fails in every way possible.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Glad to see all these negative reviews! At my home we do not have a choice as they cut my one block out when running lines! I live on a 3 block street and they ran service to the first two blocks and cut the 3rd block out! All the streets and neighborhoods around me they gave service to but this block of 25 homes they have refused service! So because they are shown to be a company that does discriminate and also has crappy service I do not feel so bad! Discrimination is never good especially when a Company purposely denies their service to one area and cannot explain their action! Spectrum has shown their true colors! They can deny service to anyone for absolutely no reason!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had Time Warner/Spectrum for over 12 years. The customer service has always been lacking but proceeded to become much worse once Spectrum took over. Not only are they rude and unprofessional, your problem is not resolved after an hour or more on the phone. I finally decided to cancel my service after all these years due to the customer service and the constantly increasing bills. Canceling was a hassle within itself and now they are overcharging me on my last bill. When I first purchased cable I paid a month up front in full.

This means I am paying a month in advance, common sense right. So explain to me how I am billing billed for almost a whole month when I canceled before my bill was due??? I never skipped a payment and was never behind. If I pay a month in advance and cancel in January how in the hell am I being charged for the month of February? They sent me one bill after my cancelation. I requested an itemized bill which I never received. Next thing I receive is a notice from a collection agency. What a joke and a rip-off. A Class action lawsuit should be brought against Spectrum for overcharging their clients. I am sure if Spectrum was investigating, this would be an easy find against them. Never going back!!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

On multiple occasions this company has been dishonest with me about billing. On average to get to a Supervisor it is an hour wait. I have on six occasions had to have my bill adjusted. I have Customer Service Reps lie, argue with Me and hang up on Me. I tried being respectful and nice. That doesn't work with these people. You have to get nasty with them for this company to even attempt to fix their mistakes.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Every single time I call Spectrum to get pricing info I get conflicting info about prices and services. Quotes differ by as much as $30-$50/month! They claim they are noting every conversation in my account with prices quoted but the next person I speak to can't seem to find that information! Prices are outrageous for the lowest package. I can't wait until another company comes to the area to dump these crooks! They seem to be able to charge whatever they choose because they've monopolized the market. How is this legal?? That's the thanks you get for being a loyal customer. We should all dump them & watch them go bankrupt!

Original review: March 27, 2018

MIchael ** (sales representative) that works for Spectrum introduced himself when my wife and I moved to our new apartment. Offered his services with Spectrum. Arranged a phone call and told him what channels I want. Quoted me $106 monthly subscription. Asked him to e-mail me a breakdown after we agreed for the technical team to visit and install the cable with the internet. He never did, and never returned my messages and phone call. My wife asked the technical team how do we know what we’re getting and how much we’re paying. They had no idea at all, and asked her to cancel if we don’t like the services. Few days later from the installation, we received a bill of $196 including a $50 installation fee that he never mentioned as well. $40 more than what he quoted me. I called the company and explained what happened.

After a long conversation of going back and forth, the lady said she’ll have a manager contacting me, since no one was available. No one called. I called back three days later, and finally connected me to a manager. What he basically offered me, is to cancel everything based on my request. Didn’t apologize or offered me a solution apart from downgrading to receive a lower bill. This to me is fraud on a high level. I don’t understand how such a well known company, can easily do such a thing and just get away with it. I hope this message reaches to someone who can at least change things around in this company, especially that it represents the biggest market in LA. They’re taking advantage of what they have, and customer service is the last thing they’re selling to provide. It looks like the company is making a lot of money, and care less about their subscribers. Great job Spectrum.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Unbelievable!!! My mother is a senior citizen on Social Security. She qualifies for their 'Internet Assist' package for seniors. However, because she's an existing customer paying $71 a month they can't switch her over to the new rate for seniors. They said it was impossible, she'd need to disconnect service for 30 days and then come back as a new customer. It's a trap. If she were a TWC customer when Spectrum merged and the program wasn't available, shouldn't she be offered the program with Spectrum after the merge?

Original review: March 27, 2018

Back Ground: In November I received a notice that my cable and internet base price would be increasing from $120 to $162 plus tax, a 25% increase. I had already had to cut my internet speed in half just to keep my bill down at around $120 (with taxes and Paid per views $150). I asked and asked if there was anyway keep my bill down, given that that offer new customers $120 for my plan. Answer was NO! So I changed to another service provider. When I called back to tell Spectrum a shut off service, the operator told me she could have offered me a deal for around $120. I said great, it's too late. The other company had already installed my new service.

The operator told me it was OK, because the other company offered a 30 refund period. That real bothered me to know that it is Spectrum's business policy. Have you cancel, have another company come out and spend a day installing new lines and then offer you a lower rate to get you to come back. My cancellation came a few days before the billing cycle ended. It turned out Spectrum owed me $30.53. which should probably be more as it appears they were already basing it on the higher rate. I waited until February and called them to ask when my check would come. The man said he was going to put a request in, as there was no order to send me a refund. He then said it would be 6 weeks before I would get a check. I also asked if they would stop emailing me a monthly bill for $0.00, as I had not had service with them in months.

March 27, 2018: I called Spectrum to find out where my check is and AGAIN stop sending me statement emails for $0.00. The operator asks me, "have you turned in my equipment?" (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) I said, "Yes." I drove it all the way over to the Farmers Branch office the day I cancelled. (20 miles). I had to use my son's day off before Thanksgiving to do that. She then said she would put a note in that I had turned in equipment. She gave me that as a reason for why I "may" not have received my money after 5 month.

I commented that this is ridiculous, you would think I would have received a bill for the equipment by now??? No one else has mentioned it to this point. Did the first guy even request my check??? It didn't sound like the women I was speaking with could even request a check. AND why would no-one contact me if they thought I still had equipment. It is a totally absurd excuse for poor business practices. Cautionary tale. Stay away. Read reviews. Spectrum always raise rates when they come into a new area (25%+). They also will charge more for fast internet speeds. Being sued in New York for speeds slower than advertised is widespread issue.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I actually don't even know where to begin. This company has no intentions of satisfying its customer base and couldn't care less about retaining a customer base. Our 'promotional rate' ($180/month for the triple play) was due to expire and the new cost would have been close to $300/month for the same services. We spoke with service reps via chat lines, email and finally decided to try going in person to a store to see if we could get a new/better deal. Nope, not even an apology just "nope, no deals for existing customers." The guy behind the counter seemed like he was pretty used to our request, 'cancel all services except internet'. Asked him why our internet speeds were so slow and nowhere near the quoted speeds he said "contact the service dept."

Also asked about neighborhood loops (one of the service techs that came out about a year ago told us, the main reason our speed was slower was because of the 'neighborhood loop,' which is basically a shared line for the entire neighborhood), he said he'd never heard of that before. Spectrum has no direct cable competition (satellite services are available) in the area so they feel they can do whatever they want. This is no way to run a business!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I was a Time Warner/Spectrum customer for 15 years. I was going to make the switch to DirecTV and AT&T a few years ago but Time Warner was willing to work with me regarding my bill. This year, my bill went up significantly. I called Spectrum to try to work something out but they are geared toward new customers instead of keeping long standing customers that always pay their bill on time. So it was time for me to leave them. I just disconnected my Spectrum service last week and now I have DirecTV and AT&T. When I called to disconnect my service for Spectrum, they still tried to get me to stay but why would I stay if you not even try to budge on the pricing? Nah, I am good with my new service. Bye Time Warner/Spectrum!

Original review: March 22, 2018

Contact your state's public service commission. It got Spectrum to call me back the next day despite having to speak to 12 representatives over a 3 day period. Despite my complaint, Spectrum is charging me for things I got for free from Time Warner. If you were a Time Warner customer, they actually will charge you for less services. If you switch to Spectrum completely you will be paying more. Their advertising is plain bait and switch. Almost nobody from Bright House and Time Warner qualify for their scam 29.99 x 3 for cable, phone and internet because you are NOT considered a new customer. However, their illogical policy that says if you drop Bright House or TWC for 30 days then you can qualify as a "new customer". I asked the various representatives if they could waive the 30 days and the answer was an emphatic "NO". I was basically told that they would lose a customer than give me a break on the 30 days.

I am currently try to find a way to dump them because the government has allowed for Spectrum to become a monopoly In some areas. The company has "dumb" representatives, inept supervisors. I am trying to get rid of them but the TV part has become a nightmare for me as Spectrum is the only way I can get my local channels. I am thinking of leaving for 30 days and working out ways I can cut the cord on them. I definitely will drop them for phone and internet. I have Roku but network TV with local stations is problematic. I have too many tress to install a satellite dish, I tried an antenna but it does not work for my local CBS Affiliate (the local channel I use the most). I also cannot get DirecTV Go or FIOS, etc. or any other alternative sources for my digital services and internet. I can get an app for CBS, NBC ABC and PBS but it seems like these apps having incomplete programming.

I intend to still report Spectrum to other government agencies that are supposed to protect the consumer. The government needs to be reminded by thousands of people that cannot allow corporate giants to become monopolies because they are bad for the consumer and they to be punished for the lack of transparency in their pricing and terms and conditions. I know this is long but I have had it with the arrogance that Spectrum has.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I made a call to a company that offered internet service in my area. I was trying to find a reasonable plan that worked for my needs. After about 10 mins of conversation the person I was speaking to mentioned it was Spectrum. I thought it was odd since I googled local internet service and the phone number popped up without any name. I asked for info and prices and said I was shopping around. I did give my name and address because I was told it was needed to see if they serviced my location. I was told Yes, they do and I could be set up as soon as they sent me the receiver. I was asked to stay on the phone to confirm my order. It was then I realized that although I hadn’t made a decision, they had decided to make me their customer. I didn’t answer or accept the follow up questions to confirm my order, but an account was set up none the less and a receiver and bill were sent.

In addition to not actually completing an order, I noticed on the bill that I was set up for a bundle with landline phone service, which I Never asked about. I haven’t used a landline in years and made it clear I was only interested in internet service. Once I received the equipment and bill I made a call to ask why I had, without final approval by me. At that point I thought I might use their services if they removed the phone charge, which I never wanted and that would bring the monthly plan down to $45.99 from $65.99. The first customer service person told me that was impossible since I was already signed up for a bundle plan. After a loud discussion with me trying to explain that I never actually said yes to ordering, I was transferred to a so called Expert who listened to my story, apologized profusely and then told me he would remove the phone charge and if I wanted just the internet service, I could have it.

All I had to do was set up the box and call when I was ready to activate everything. Well what to my surprise tonight when I went to do it and asked about adding WiFi for $5, my so called plan was still $65.99, I could not remove phone service and there was absolutely NO NOTATION of my call earlier in the day. I guess the so called Supervisor told me what I wanted to hear just to get me off the phone. And the supervisor I spoke to tonight was short tempered and condescending. Spectrum is the type of company that I would advise anyone to stay away from. I can’t wait to send back their equipment tomorrow and bid a not so fond farewell to a conglomerate. Hopefully, I can keep someone from choosing Spectrum.

Original review: March 21, 2018

A password to the wifi was changed to my mother's computer, and she gave me the new password, but I was unable to figure out how to apply it to my ACER laptop. I called ACER, which was useless. They said my warranty had expired, and because of that they were not allowed to answer a simple question, in which they knew the answer to. So my mother called Spectrum, and put me on the phone with Hayley. Hayley didn't know the answer, as the ACER seems to have theirs structured differently than most computers, but she put me on hold and investigated, and she talked me through it and ultimately found the answer. I was very pleased. Especially because I just had a bad experience with another company. She went above and beyond. Kudos Hayley!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Spectrum called me March 8 and told me I could try their new digital app for streaming live television on your phone or tablet/iPad. They stated this would be free for ten days and then cost 24.95 per month after the ten days. With a 30 day money back guarantee. I was heading on vacation so thought it might be nice for the long car ride. Well, I downloaded the app but for whatever reason was not able to log in even after contacting technical support. They were nice but not helpful for me. When I returned home and tried to get the service dropped they said it was not free. That the free trials were not offered this year. I reminded them that they solicited me for the service and the phone call should be recorded.

They kept repeating that I had called them to add the service and that I wanted the service. I have been hounded by Spectrum trying to get us to add a cable box for months. We repeat that we are just happy with internet and with simple antenna television. Finally, they sent me to customer service to remove the service from my account after saying they would have to close my internet service as well which we have had for almost 12 years. Customer service said it was no problem to just drop the streaming service on the phone/tablet, but that they could not give me our old price for our internet service. Whenever you add a service, they change all your services so you can't go back to your original deal with whatever service you started with.

After more time on hold, the gentleman at customer service finally got my internet back to the lovely price we had it at before I agreed to the "free trial." A word of wisdom...don't fall for any of their sales tactics to try phone or cable box (which he pushed all the way to the end of our conversation). If you add them, you will pay more for your high speed cable when you decide they are a waste of time and money. I love my high speed cable even though our price has doubled in recent years. It is still a great deal as we have so many students in our home who need the internet for school and work. Spectrum is a great internet service. That's all.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have satellite TV but signed up for Spectrum Internet January 8, 2018. In March, I noticed a collections account on my credit report in the amount of $90.00, opened January 18, 2018. After several phone calls to both Spectrum and Charter (which is ridiculous in the first place since they seem to be the same company), they claim this stems from a Time Warner Account I had in 2012, that I made payments on in 2016.

So, instead of catching a bill and giving me the opportunity to pay it, they took my money for new service and used that as an excuse to open a new collections account and drop my score significantly, despite the last rep I spoke with telling me that I do not have 2 accounts, old and new, just an account transfer. Again, how did the bill go to collections instead of transferring with the account. Unfortunately, although they repeatedly expressed as much confusion as I have and they 'completely understand my frustration', their policies are against anything that will help me get this off my credit report.

Original review: March 20, 2018

How did we lose our home phone number we have been using for over 50 years? Due to financial issues we determined it was best to switch from Frontier to Spectrum. March 4 the switch was determined. March 5-6 I received repeated robot calls to confirm this switch, 911 issues and switch of phone companies. I received confirmation numbers each time. Due to the repeated robotic calls I called the help number and spoke to Leslie. I repeated the robotic consent with her assistance and she said it was complete and I was given another confirmation number.

Installation was completed on March 7 AM. We had TV, internet, and phone (Frontier, but we thought it was Spectrum). We had phone service until March 17 (Frontier). Frontier keep the phone on until March 17 of which I have proof of making a phone call on this day. When I called Spectrum about the phone on March 19, they said the phone line did not switch over from Frontier as it was supposed to. Spectrum also blamed me for turning off Frontier too early. I told Frontier that we were changing to Spectrum on 3/4 as the salesperson told me to but the phone line was connected until 3/17, that is 10 days and it should have been long enough to make the switch if their internal communications were sufficient. What a headache!! Changing all those phone number contacts, family, friends, doctors, insurance. What a mess!

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had been paying separate for satellite TV and phone and internet. I was paying 270 a month. I have everything with Spectrum and saving over a 100 a month. I never had HBO or STARZ. Now I have them and a lot of others. Reception is great. No problems. I wish I would have switched years ago saving over 1200 a year. I love you Spectrum♡♡♡. You are the best. 5 stars plus!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

We've had Spectrum for almost a year. In that time we have yet to have a single week of service that worked. On demand, DVR, are seldom available. We must reboot the control box several times every day. We've had technicians galore trying to make something work. ANYTHING! They've broken stairs, baseboards, ran cable to nowhere, and dug a trench for their cable that is now an eroding ditch. Each tech blaming the previous tech for our problems. In short this is a system utterly broken and unable to provide the most basic cable, internet and phone service. We have now switched back to Uverse and refuse to pay last statement. Avoid this company like the plague.

Original review: March 14, 2018

If I could not give them a star at all that is exactly what I would do. So, I called the customer service line to disconnect my account because I have various other sources for cable and I was going to use Frontier for the wireless. When I told the customer service agent this, she said that if I took away all my special channels and left just the barebones of the internet, then I could have that with the high-speed wireless at the same cost as the Frontier wireless was going to cost me. That meant that my bill which was around $165 would now go down to $80 something. So, I accepted the new plan and cancelled my connect appointment with Frontier. Sounds good right? Well, to my surprise, the next month, my bill went up!!! Annnd I didn't have any of the channels I had before!!! You guys get that right, I am now paying more for the barebone of their ** system after I was told that taking everything off would lower my bill. Nice Spectrum. Real nice.

Original review: March 13, 2018

What name is Bright House going by this month? Spectrum? Charter? The business by any name sucks, and this is why. My new fee JUST for their crappy SLOW internet service is $73.00 plus tax. They continuously do false advertising on TV claiming, & lying about their speed when there is NOTHING FAST about it at all. They raise their rates on a regular basis, so their stockholders can get richer off the backs of the little guy. Watch out for the Bright House/Spectrum/Charter service guys who come to your home. They will and did change my service after I told the thief that I did NOT want any type of upgrade & he did it without asking me, resulting in a much higher bill from the scammers. This thieving company sucks & ALL of the internet companies in the area have terrible reviews. They have the consumers over a stinky barrel.

Original review: March 13, 2018

My prices kept going up until it was hard for me to pay. I called today since my promotion will end this month and again the price is going up. I talked to Billing and was told the specialist might help me. I was transferred and a gentleman answered and asked me when will I want to cancel. I told him I’m thinking about it cause I can’t afford this higher rate. I only watch 5 Korean channels and I just to basic internet. I wanted some kind of help and he told Me he can’t do any time. He said call back when I want to cancel. I was shocked and disgusted how he was very rude. I been a long time loyal customer. Very upsetting this is how you get treated and pushed away. Well I guess I will be shopping around for another company and definitely like he said call and cancel. Never will I recommend to anyone to use Spectrum.

Original review: March 13, 2018

First I signed up for a cable, phone, and internet deal for a certain amount of money. They raised the price of the boxes so as not to change the deal. I agreed to this certain amount to be automatically paid out of my account but when they raised the price of the boxes they started taking more money out of my account without my permission. Service has been bad and have had to contact customer service several times as well as my neighbor. Channels don't come in right away. Have to go back and forth with channels till they come in. Prices this company charges are going up, up, up. The hooking up of boxes, the price, the customer service, the changing the amount of money they take out of my account is really getting on my last nerve.

Spectrum Company Information