3.8/5 (4555 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: July 20, 2021

In regards to my experience with Spectrum, when I had a problem with the connection, the Company had two repair Technicians to come out to my home. However, when one e was unable to solve the connection problem, the other took the time to retrace what may have been missed during the repair. Yes, the second Technician found what the issue was. He replace the old equipment with new equipment; explain to me the reason why the old equipment was not working properly; took the time to go over the steps as to how their new equipment was better; and remove the monthly payment from my bill!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I know lots of folks want to bash cable, but I just wanted everyone to know we had an incredible service experience! The "cable guy" who came to help us with issues following a lightning strike was the most experienced, knowledgeable, and pleasant rep of ANY company with whom I have worked. There were multiple diagnostic issues, since the extent of the damage to wiring, boxes, modems, splitters, amp was initially unknown. Jon S from Farmers Branch, TX Spectrum spent the time needed to discover the problems and resolve them. Additionally, he provided a way for me to make contact in case there were follow up issues. He was an incredibly capable and communicative, and the experience was a complete surprise given our history with cable service providers. Whatever they need to do to retain employees like Jon should be done - give him a raise, promote him, whatever it takes. I can only hope to have service from someone like him in the future.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

We had Spectrum back when it was Brighthouse Networks. Once it became Spectrum, at first it was horrible. The monthly bill kept going up and up. We were at about 200.00 a month and said no more. Went to strictly streaming. Spectrum kept sending offers via mail. After about three years we decided that we would try Spectrum again. The offer is good. Actually paying less than we were with the different streaming apps. Everyone has been extremely nice and pleasant to work with. So far really good. They have 5G network and all our devices are working well. We are happy.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Pretty decent service for the amount being charged. There are a lot too for others service providers who charge almost double for the same internet speed. Spectrum has gotten better over the years with their customer service and internet speed. Also, there three level of internet service so you choose what is best for your internet of speed and money. Overall it is a good company to have as your ISP. Even though they also offer bundle packages which can save some more money if the customer is interested. But they are not pushing and won’t force you to commit to a bundle plan. But for the people who need it, it is a good option to have.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I was with Cricket Wireless for 30 months. Happy with the service. However I discovered that Spectrum Mobile MVNO is on Verizon's network. I have clearer calls and the data speed is much faster then Cricket. So I switched to Spectrum; I bought a new LG phone (like LG phones). I was able to port my number within less than 10 - 15 minutes.. I do not use much data away from home. I use wifi at home.. It is rare for me to use more that 0.75 gigs of data.. Hey $14.00 per month on Verizon. NO-BRAINER there. I like the fact hot-spot tethering is part of the plan. But I like the idea $45.00 is max charge if I go past my data plan. Spectrum has the best phone support I have used for assistance.. Spectrum customer support is very, very courteous.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

As a high school teacher, I manage a club called CyberPatriots, a virtual competition that allows students to compete worldwide to demonstrate their skills and abilities. Due to the nature of virtual competitions, we need high speed internet, which Spectrum has proved to be difficult in providing. They turned down a request for a donated line and have actually been charging double the current rate for 200mb internet. Due to the local monopolization, they don't seem to care about anything but $$$ and we can't do anything about it...

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I had recently cancelled my Spectrum service and switched to another provider since the 2 years promotion expired and the cost went up. I had 2 days into the next month cycle when I switched the service. I was thinking spectrum would charge pro-rate for the no of days I had their service (3 days) but they charged me for the full month saying that is their policy.

With the paperless billing, we do see all these fine hidden terms and now they claim that I should have read that contract. With paperless billing, we don't get to see the full contract terms. What a shame, it is real cheating if you ask me. Basically they know people will switch when the promotion expires to avoid high cost for the same service and this is a trap to get even. Beware of these policies -- no prorate when you cancel, but give you a prorate when you sign in to a new contract with them. What a shame?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Spectrum is one of the worst cable internet providers available. The company has some of the worst and nastiest individuals working for them. They truly need to expedite some customer service and quality control training for all their employees. I wish we never generated an account with them. We have always used Dish Network, and received great service for over ten years. Unfortunately, due to a military change of duty we were not able to relocate with Dish Network.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

It's a depends on the weather sometimes. If the weather is bad you can lose Internet service. Sometimes I have had to call to have it re-booted. The pricing has been a little higher than normal. They don't have as many sales as they used to.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

So, I am not a Spectrum or Charter customer, however, I do get robocalls from them EVERY SINGLE DAY, sometimes multiple times per day. I repeatedly ask to be removed from their list, however, instead of being professional and honoring my request, their agents mock me and tell me that the calls will increase in frequency and that there is nothing I can do about it..... Except there is, and that is to report them to my local AG, FTC and BBB. Additionally, I am filing complaints for their clear violations of a number of privacy laws. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but these clowns are as unprofessional and shady as they come.

Spectrum Company Information