1.31/5
Based on 163 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Spectrum

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

743 Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

The lying salesperson, trained like such by Spectrum Bright House, came to my home and used my mentally and sick sick mom to call me at work to get internet so she could watch her Korean drama and to get The WHOLE BUNDLE FOR FREE AS IF I CALLED BEFORE THE 30 DAYS, which was confirmed when I called to make a complaint and close my account. I was told I would be given a major discount as I indeed called within the 30 days given for satisfaction guaranteed term. I was told to return my boxes and by last Wednesday I would have not one but two major adjustments as my internet was cut off for about 20 days and the company had it as active.

I got a call from a local sales manager last Friday, apologizing for his lying, thief and UNSCRUPULOUS sales person, as he trained her and she was his responsibility and gave me what I thought and repeated to him over and over that I was waiting for two major adjustments but I had not checked my balance yet, he then offered to me again what I thought to be another $30.00 discount and today as my service was cut off, I found out it was my only discounted amount from my $300-400 bundle bill for which I was promised first by a customer service manager and then another customer service manager who confirmed the first manager did write a ticket to eliminate my bundle price as first it was offered under false pretenses by their sales person house to house and then the second manager confirmed it was under the 30 days satisfaction guaranteed term to cancel and not pay for it.

I expect: Elimination of that total bundle cost for the first and second months as promised along with the bill adjustments for the days they were billing me and now I want the $30.00 that disrespectful sales manager lied and offered and I accepted as extra discount and not as the total discount as I still have a $300-400 outstanding balance. Be careful with SPECTRUM UNSCRUPULOUS, LYING, VICIOUS SALES PEOPLE, and the supposed managers over the phone who instead of giving you the $300.00 discount for the lies the thief said in your home, representing Spectrum and not punished after being reported, these so-called customer service managers give you a $30.00 discount "for your troubles?"... Please do not get Spectrum internet. It was the worst decision I've made...

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I've been with Time Warner for years and when Spectrum took over everything went downhill! My internet moved so slow and they raised my bill. I fell behind on my bill and asked Spectrum for an extension and was told they don't do any type of extension or payment plans. I said okay, the next week I was going to pay it but not even a week later they completely disconnected my service and even tried to continue billing me afterwards. This company has no regards for its customers nor do they care if you need an extension.

There's absolutely no standards from this company. It seems they're just greedy for money and have completely disregarded the customer. They'd rather lose a customer who's been with them/Time Warner for years than give the customer a little more time to pay their bill. That's a lack of empathy on Spectrums part and for that I give this company one star and they only get one star because there was not an option to decline picking none!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Spectrum Cable is switching to digital cable at the apartment complex where I live. Technician came out today to hook up the box. He had difficulties getting it activated, had to call in for some help. Still had trouble but eventually got the tv service working. He left, and I had tv service for one hour and 15 minutes before it went out. All I get are a black screen with the words "No service" marching around the screen for several minutes before it turns itself off. Called customer service rep who tried many things from her end but couldn't get it working again. Said she'd send a tech back out. Still waiting 3 hours later. No tech. I believe this will be an ongoing problem with Spectrum from what I've heard from others.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I initially started with a 60MB internet and streaming TV package. They send me a notice in the mail randomly one day that I was being upgraded to 100MB for no added charge which was a pleasant surprise. After that I had troubles with their streaming service and switched to YouTube TV and when I called to cancel the streaming portion of my service they did not try to upsell me or talk me out of it. I'm very used to this and know they're reading from a script but this time I didn't even have to sit through that. No questions asked, they canceled the service and my bill went down accordingly so there was no un-bundling penalty. Very satisfied with their internet service overall as well and have had 0 issues since I started using them. Great ISP, one star off for their streaming service not supporting Chromecast and buggy implementation of their Xbox streaming app.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

We have been customers for almost a year with internet service and had no issues until late summer. At that time, our internet would occasionally go out, we'd wait a few minutes, then it would be up again, we'd reconnect and continue working. Within a couple months the dropped internet became very frequent to the point that it was causing major disruptions to running our business. We contacted Spectrum, explained what had been happening and they sent a technician out. Since November, for over 3 months, we have continued to have issues with no solution.

They have replaced our modem twice with no change to our problems. They recommended we purchase our own router, which we did, continued to have problems, so they suggested it was faulty so we replaced it and still continue to have problems. Each time we call, we are told a different story from the person who's taking our call.

They send out a technician, they can't find a problem, and the technicians tell us that the people we talk to on the phone don't know what they're talking about because they're not in the field and are only looking at their own computers. So we've been told that we just have to hardwire everything, they don't guarantee wireless, and they can't solve the problem because according to them there is no problem. Yet every other business that operates in the same business park uses WIFI with no issues and does not have any problems. This I know because I have visited the businesses to find out what everyone else is doing about the problem, but we are the only ones with a problem. We are a small office with only 4 employees and other offices are much larger and not having any issues. Spectrum is our only option for internet and they are unable and unwilling to resolve our internet problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I've had Spectrum for over a year. Paid top rates to have highest level of internet. I live in a main town. Not only did I never receive the internet connection I was promised after months of always paying my bill on time I was forced to have no other option but to cancel my account. They gave me the runaround for months on end. When I finally had enough they wouldn't do anything to keep me as a customer. I can forsee lawsuit after lawsuit with these crooks! Extremely dissatisfied with the entire company as a whole.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

After waiting from October 2017 until January 2018 for my business installation, someone finally came onsite and realized they didn't have services in the immediate area and they would have to do construction to extend their services to our building. When the due date arrived, Spectrum said it would take another 45 days before we had service - after waiting 90 days! Unbelievable. I was turned over to a manager named Jennifer who doesn't return my phone calls or my boss' phone calls over the past few weeks. Even when she told me she would call me before the end of the day yesterday... no callback. And this morning when I called her she just kind of laughed, and explained that she was just so busy and yesterday was a crazy day. We ALL have crazy days at work. But if I make a commitment to perform a task I do it.

If there is a reason I cannot perform the committed task, I let the person know the reason and when I can perform the task. I don't just ignore the person or the request. It is unfortunate Spectrum is one of the only cable TV + Internet providers in Pinellas County. Very unfortunate. In early February I was given an install date of March 11th, 2018. I need TVs in my business scheduled to open on 2/14/18, so I had to contract with DirecTV for Cable TV service. DirecTV installed quickly, and on 2/12/18 Spectrum delivered their service to our building. Now we have both services. Maybe we'll like DirecTV better, but only time will tell. I'll have to cancel one of the services... joy.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Spectrum constantly removes channels and increases price. One is always paying more and receiving less. An atrocious business practice. And their Internet is extremely poor quality. These monopolies must be forced into competition or eliminated. Horrendous customer service. Would never recommend.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Since Spectrum bought out Time Warner I have had the misfortune to have my basic tv and internet service price increase by 33%. I get 11 less channels. This evening while talking to a representative from the retention department and voicing my displeasure I had to ask her to turn down her headset as there was a lot of background noise. She stated that it was a call center and it was unavoidable. I overheard a representative laughing and talking about another caller “you want to hear what this woman just said to me...(laughing at the caller)." Obviously the company hires people that think it is a joke that they are jacking up prices on people!

So to make a long story short they told me that I lost the 11 channels due to the fact that I was never supposed to have them in the first place, despite the fact that I have had the same channels for more than 7 years thru Time Warner but I can get them back by paying an additional 30 dollars. This is of course b.s. I purchased my plan 7 years ago knowing full well what channels were in my package.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

They offer you a deal then renege on it even after seeing what was offered they say, "Sorry, we won't do that anymore." Also every time they are not on the same page each person will tell you something different and say, "Sorry you were missed informed." Then next will say same thing. They sent me to local store saying I needed a box for the tv that didn't have box. Store says not true.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

This cable service is extremely slow. I have never experienced anything like it. It constantly freezes, and takes forever to change the channel. My internet also has issues, with it being so slow. It's very frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Have all 3 cable, phone and internet with Spectrum and have never been so disappointed. The charges are outrageous. If you don't save a bill you can Not view your bill online and they will Not give you a code over the phone or email it. The bill is different every month by a lot. Be prepared to spend near 400 the first month of service.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Time Warner became Spectrum in March 2017. At that time we had a package: phone, basic TV and basic internet. We wanted nothing more, this worked for us for various reasons. We paid $73 a month for this. For six months we were bombarded by Spectrum to switch to their $89.99 package with more channels and faster internet. We did not want this. Deceit #1: We were told that as an existing customer their research had established we were entitled to this “Special Offer”. This was a lie – everyone was entitled to it per their web page.

So, when this did not work they started to randomly and consistently increase our monthly bill. This has now risen from $73.01 in Aug 2017 to $87.56 in January 2018. An increase of 19.93% in just five months. Deceit #2: This increase has been put down to various uncheckable “surcharges” and an unexplained 33% increase in our basic internet charge. They are simply trying to force us into taking a package we do not want. Spectrum are a monopoly for packages in our area, if they were not we would switch in a heartbeat. We consider them to be an underhand, deceitful, and disreputable company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Where do I begin. I started with cable in April 2017. For 3 months I had no access to internet or phone. Called 30 times with ten different techs come out to no avail. After all complaints 40 bucks is what they gave me after paying almost 200 a month when I was promised a bill of 149.00. I am forced to pay even though I did not have any services. Their customer service is crappy. I was told if I switch to just internet and TV it will be 230 dollars to drop the phone so I was confused. I can only upgrade? Which means more money. Period. No other options for a cheaper deal they told me. But on the website it offers new clients only deals from 89 dollars to 130??? That includes all premium channels. I have been a customer for a year and still cannot get my bill lowered to a different package. They still haven't with TWC.

Never switched I was told. I was being overcharged and they would switch me. Never did then when I call back they haven't recollection. Internet goes out daily. I'm supposed to have the fastest. LMAO what a joke. It can't even watch a YouTube video without loading for mins. They tell you 5g but none of my devices get 5g. It's just a lie. They have you do a fake speed test that spits out the same number no matter what your IP or speed. It's all a gimmick. It's buffering while saying 76mps. All programmed to say that speed. I'm going to sue Spectrum for false advertising. Telling me one price, charging another and not delivering service. I literally has to pay 174 for internet and phone I didn't have because it would cut on here and there and I needed something instead of nothing.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Spectrum just increased my monthly bill by $10 with no warning and when I called to see if they could lower it in any way since I am now retired and living on fixed income, the person I spoke to promised to give me a promotional discount of $10 per month, however, when the next bill came, it was NOT reduced at all! So I called to complain and they said they had NO RECORD of me calling at all the previous month and REFUSED to honor the promise of reducing my bill. I am currently searching for a new Internet provider but am finding it difficult to find another provider in our area, so I may be stuck if I want to continue to have Internet service. Shame on you, Spectrum!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Our service was turned off, on 11/21/16, because Spectrum listened to someone claiming to be my wife. They reinstated it. Their representative offered us all the Premium Movie Channels, at no charge, for the duration of our service, due to our loyalty to their company. We made the mistake of accepting. Our paper statements stopped, after September 2017, and the online after August 2017. On 1/3/18, the Premium Movie Channels were cut, along with 52 other channels, and our bill was increased $10/month. According to their President's Office, we only had the Movie Channels for 12 months, and the other 52 channels (we had as part of our service, since 7/25/08), were separated among 4 pay packages.

They provided us, with no indication of the promotion, charged us $50, for both Nov. and Dec. of 2017 ($100), and told us charging more money, for less services, is forward progress. When we mentioned "cutting the cord," they cut The CW, CBS, Music Choice, and BayNews9. They told us, they'd significantly increase our internet/wifi service, if we tried it standalone, instead of bundled. They want to use the $100, to completely cut our services, they're throttling the internet speed badly enough to stop us from using their TV App, and making it difficult for us to watch the Cable TV. Spectrum has destroyed the great company Brighthouse was.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I wanted to upgrade my current service, but I had to go through 3 different departments until someone finally told me what specials they had available. The reps I spoke to were all very friendly, but it was extremely frustrating to have to repeat myself so many times.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This company is complete crap. There is always issues with the service...they make it sound as if all you need to do is call in for your issue and it will be handled. Problem is that first of all you have to clamber through the completely idiotic and unresponsive automated system and if that's not enough (in my case) they can’t find your account with all the info you give them (acct.# /address/phone # etc...) but to get to the real issues... Charter lies about the promos you will receive and the bill in terms of the taxes that are suppose to be included. I was told a year and a half ago that my bill would be $114 and that I could get up to 5 boxes (extra televisions) for the one charge of whatever the 1st box was (meaning boxes 2-5 for free) --- NOT the case when I called back to add 2 additional.

Now the "promo" or "campaign" as they call it may have ended but they would not even ADMIT that it’s what the rep stated and offered when I signed up and the ridiculous rep on the phone called it a "campaign" which it is referred to "in-house" meaning if you work there but you don’t call it that when speaking with a customer (just additional BS from them). Next...my taxes went up $3 about 2 months into the service...mind you it’s only $3 BUT it’s an increase and not included which they said it would be. To continue, after about 9 more months of service I called to add the "silver pkg" as it included some more HD channels as well as 3 Premium services. (HBO/MAX/SHO) not bad, but of course as my bill has already gone up the $3 (not a huge deal, just the premise) they inform me that the taxes are going to increase on top of my bill going up $20 (WAIT--- I thought the taxes were included). Nope!!!

There are an additional $7 now... and also, come to find out, I am now being charged for each individual box (only have 2) but remember they were supposed to be included (free/up to 5) but each person I speak with from Billing to Escalations (acct services) tell me -- "sorry sir, we don’t see anything in the notes or on previous bills that states you get 2-5 boxes included," COMPLETELY ASININE...SOOO frustrating you want to wring someone’s neck. Again, it’s not sooo much the actual bill going up as it is the belittling tone of voice from whomever it is you are speaking to and that they just follow part script/part their job to say that they see nothing in the notes nor would there be anything on a recorded call (that they say they can pull up as they are all recorded)...

Yes they are but do you really think they will do it unless I spent thousands to lawyer up and bring some lawsuit against this huge company... NOT!!! So again, completely **!!! ridiculous the way they talk down to you, interrupt you, sir sir sir you and basically say anything they can to convey the message that they are a large company and will not be bending any rules for you or giving you any break...which consequently THEY DO NOT anymore. Not even knock off an agent assisted charge for making a payment that is already late and NOT TELLING YOU. This company is ridiculous and out for their own best interests.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Went to ask why they only put Cable in my bedroom not my living room. Employee coming up with excuses. I said I just want them put Cable in my living room. She went crazy. Told me to get out. She said I was talking loud to her which is not true. I hope they had some camera in the company. When I didn`t move fast enough for her she threatening me with calling 911. She is the most unprofessional and racism woman I have ever met. I am canceling my service with Spectrum. I`m going with DirecTV. I will make sure I tell all my friends to go with DirecTV. She work at the Spectrum in Spring Lake NC.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

DVRs erase and/or break and OnDemand/Guide/List are UNAVAILABLE frequently. Also, bills are never what's advertised! $30 for web? Try $100 for exactly what's said to be $30! Best local option though for reliability, content and no contracts (always a plus!).

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have no choice but to use Charter because that's the internet provider in my area, already checked and I don't have any other choice but to go with them. Their tech installed the internet box in my daughter's room and I asked him to install it outside in the living room so I can get better signal for the whole house. He said no, he can't move it and it has to stay in my daughter's room. Well I pay for almost $80 for internet which is already b.s. as is, it should not be that expensive and on top of that I can barely get signal in my living room and my room as I predicted it. Called Spectrum and a rep told me that he should have wire the box out to my living room because he supposed to put it per customer request.

She apologizes for him not doing his job but if I want to move it now it would be $34.99 to get it moved. My problem is that why am I paying for something that was done wrong by your employee in the first place, now I have to pay for his wrongdoing? But Charter will not give me a discount for that $34.99, talked to Sup and still no... I still have to pay! On top of that the Rep sounds like she was half asleep. You guys keep on calling me to switch out my TV service? That's a hell to the no after seeing how bad your technician is and your poor customer service. I will never switch to them because I heard from family that they trick you then don't care when you call them. I will never recommend them to ANYONE and as soon as another internet provider become available in my area, adios Charter! Will never deal with you again!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My son had them install the combo deal (cable, telephone, & internet). When the tech got here to install he damaged one of my walls in a bedroom, didn't seal holes that was drilled in the walls, and damaged my VCR/DVD combo. Called for a claim on all of it and was told they could not do anything about it. Also when ordered the deal was told one price got the bill and it was higher what was told and agreed on. Every month it kept going up. I would never have Charter again and would not recommend anyone to have Charter. This is saying would never recommend it to family or friends. Very bad customer service and techs. My husband had to fix the wall so the cold wind could not come in.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Their goal is to confuse and redirect. What the hell is this thing with selling an internet phone as part of a package. I never use it and if I cancel it and my TV, then my internet goes up. Seriously considering just going Netflix and Amazon Prime... I'm done.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My Spectrum communications bill increased from $145 to $176 per month. I called and was told if I turned my DVR in the price including the monthly DVR rental and DVR service would drop down to $160. I brought the DVR to the Spectrum location in Brandon on 1/04/2018 and gave it to them. Now I'm being told that a special promotional price was tied to the DVR and my bill will surpass $200.00 per month. I was also told that I should have kept the DVR and returned a regular cable box and everything would have been just fine? I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income and truly feel that Spectrum is taking advantage of me. I appreciate any and all assistance I may receive on this matter.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Terrible customer service. Bill went up and called to get it fixed. They offered to take channels off for $13... really? I pay over $190 a month for TV and Internet. Although they have an intro deal for 29.99 plus another $40 for extra channels and that is for TV/Internet/Phone, I do not expect to get intro pricing. But I do not expect to get raped after being with them a year either. What kind of business model is this??? They would rather their customers leave after 12 months due to jacked prices rather than raising their prices to a reasonable amount to try and retain customers instead of churning them - especially if there are other options...well goodbye Spectrum!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Moved into a apartment in Dallas, Texas and of course Spectrum was the only provider you could have. It seems common here in Texas. I guess these management companies must be getting some kickbacks 'It was suppose to be turned on. Just hook up the modem which was theirs. Of course it would not work so called customer service which was a nightmare. They sent a tech out and he claimed it was on it was the modem which was theirs and just a year old which I had used at the other place I lived at. Of course there all you could have was Spectrum also. So I was charged $35 fee for him replacing their equipment. But guess what I pay for the highest speed they have. I lose connection several times a day or the Wi-Fi on my tablet will not stay on because it says no service.

And the smart TV will not stay connected to it. And when I use my work computer or laptop it takes forever for any site to load. So they have a pretty good racket going on here in Texas. I did have Hulu and Netflix on my Roku which I canceled because it was constantly reloading. I have had neighbors tell me not to get the cable TV it is constantly breaking up! Then you get these smart ** customer service people to deal with. I am about to save myself 1200 a year and tell them to stick it. I can live without the Internet and cable TV. Maybe if people canceled they might try to improve. I bet they send me 5 to 6 advertisements a week So much for going green. Maybe they should try to improve the service instead of bothering you with advertisements.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

We had a hurricane 5 months ago. The feeder cable was broken and the so called drop line to the house. Since then I have called them over 10 times to fix my cable!! They have came out to my home, surveyed the damage many times. They have the worst customer service and terrible internet service. I am not one to complain but this is ridiculous! Before the hurricane it took 3 different rep's just to hook up a cable wire... Finally fixed my cable to a room in my home took 3 times. The women that finally came out fixed it in 5 minutes. She said Spectrum has problems with people not wanting to work for them.

If you have Spectrum, I feel sorry for you... Their internet cable box won't even reach 20 feet from their so called router. We had Brighthouse network and never had a problem for 14 years. If you have spectrum RUN!!! They're liars, I went without cable for 2 months. They said they would credit my account. I called them to fix the cable. They still haven't fixed it. They on the phone said they would open a case and adjust my bill for their problem... I fell over their cable box on the ground next to my driveway and I fell and my back and knee. They were here the next morning by 9 am. I guess I will be calling my lawyer to get results!

They're the worst company I have ever dealt with. I have tried to be nice and wasn't going to sue over my back and knee but enough is enough and now I will see Morgan and Morgan my lawyer!! "BEWARE OF THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY." I never leave a review unless they're really bad. "SPECTRUM INTERNET IS TERRIBLE". A person just can't make this up! When I tripped over their little box I got hurt. They finally came out next morning and put little flags around their box 1 foot from my driveway. By the way, that was at least a month and a half ago. If I could take a picture of their mess and post it. Would. Again I tried to be nice and the people that did come out were also nice guys but still no results. It's Jan 23, 2018 as I am writing this. The hurricane was Sept 10, 2017. Still problems with my internet!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

On 11 Jan 18 we decided to get cable package from Spectrum after being visited by a salesman stating we can get the Triple Play free for 30 days including installation. Yesterday I received a bill for $107, it was not even one week! The cable channels are not worth anything, we don't even get history or travel channel!! Needless to say I will have it taken out except maybe wifi unless they overcharge. BTW I do have written notice about this being free for one month!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

To begin with I've been lied to and deceived by Spectrum since April 2015, I was told by their agent I could pay my bill on the 15th of each month, since that date I've been late incurring a late charge every month. I waited 20 yrs. for cable to get in my area and for the last 18 mos. I've almost regretted having them, all Spectrum would have to do is make mine and all the other poor people able to pay their bill without all of this worry and aggravation every month.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Unfortunately, we are forced to use TWC/Spectrum for internet service as they are the only provider in our area. They frequently offer promotions that expire anywhere from 3 mos to a year. Often you don't know you are on a promotion until your bill comes and it is $100+ higher than usual. We should have known we were headed for issues the first day we set up service. Eventually, we were contacted by a corporate representative out of Charlotte named Robin. She apologized and told us this was not normal. She set our rate at $106/month. Fast forward a year later our bill started to climb and has done so every year. A few days ago our bill was at $206.

Their internet has NEVER functioned in the three years we've had their service. We've had over 15 technicians at our home and still, our internet rarely gets above 20 when we pay for 100! We were told that once 300 became available we would receive the upgrade for free. Well, 300 is available but today we clocked our speed at a whopping 23! We can't wait to move and have service with a different provider. We've canceled everything but the internet and wish we could do without that!

Spectrum Company Information

Formerly Named:
Bright House Networks
www.spectrum.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use