3.8/5 (2843 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

I have been a customer with Spectrum for 7 years. It’s been no issues or outages pretty consistently. I recently upgraded to include cable and had some hiccups with a chat representative. Phone agents however are wonderful. Chat not so much. But anytime I call for anything they’re helpful and nice and wonderful.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I have been a loyal Spectrum for 3+ years. My girlfriend has had Spectrum Mobile's pay-as-you go plan for 6 months and in this short period I have grown to completely distrust the company. For three months, her phone has been on airplane mode, as she's hoping to avoid exceeding her data limits. Nevertheless, despite her phone becoming essentially a wi-fi only device, Spectrum Mobile is reporting her data usage at over 14 gigs, and charging her over $100 a mo. for the privilege. We have called several times to rectify the issue, but because the original account holder was her grandmother, they won't talk to us (even though my girlfriend is paying the bills!).

So my girlfriend has accrued bills over $400 in a short 3 month period. All of this from a company that offers an unlimited $30/mo plan. After spending dozens of hours rectifying the issue with the account holder (we had to ultimately show a POA over her grandmother to their staff at a physical spectrum store), we tried to explain the situation to higher up personal on the phone. Anna, a member of their Spectrum Mobile "leadership team" in New York, flatly refused to reverse or reduce the charges, even though there is clearly some technical error with the way data is being reported. She said the data doesn't lie. I insisted she try to help us, and reiterated in many different ways how we were being overcharged for substandard service from the beginning. No use. Anna was cold. Heartless even.

So my girlfriend is leaving them as a customer. I will be leaving as a Wifi customer. My business will be leaving as a Spectrum Business customer, and if you do any business with Spectrum, I encourage you to leave too. Up until now, I found their customer service exemplary. It took one experience with their senior staff to decide the whole company is rotten. I think because they think they are dealing with poorer customers (vis-a-vis pay as you go plan) with fewer resources, they can afford to be uncompromising and cruel. In this case, they would be wrong, since they will lose hundreds of dollars every month instead of simply working with one customer to attenuate their bill. Goodbye, Spectrum, we're never coming back.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

9/15 ordered internet, streaming tv/Roku, mobile service... internet and cable issues have been, hopefully no more, very unpleasant! Mobile service, I am undecided if I will continue mobile service. I never received initial phone they sent via FedEx..2nd phone had to pickup from FedEx, then I was unable to activate (no Sim card). I am working on the return for that phone, do not want to be charged for it! Like I said not sure if will attempt to continue with them?!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I was a Brighthouse, then Spectrum customer for over 15 years, with internet, tv, and phone service. When things were working it was OK, but when there were problems which seemed more often than not, the customer service was terrible. The representatives weren’t empowered to do anything, unless they were trying to sell you something new. Finally fed up with the spotty service, I found out I was paying waaay too much compared to some of the other competitor prices. So, I packed up all of my devices and took them to the Spectrum store to terminate my account and turn in the equipment.

Once in the store I was told that I could only disconnect my service over the phone and I would also have to take my equipment to a UPS store where they would ship it back to Spectrum free of charge. Calling Spectrum over the phone, I followed the prompts to terminate my service and when I finally got to a person she said I could drop off my equipment at a Spectrum store (are you kidding me??) but I would need to call Retention Serviced and gave me another number to dial. I find it interesting that if I was trying to get an upgrade to my service they would connect me automatically, but to terminate my service I was left on my own to dial it myself.

As anticipated, retention services was a terrible experience. The lady told me I could not get credit for terminating my service 3 and a half weeks before the end of the billing cycle. In addition she told me I could turn my equipment in at a Spectrum store, and when I explained that I couldn’t, she came up with a mealymouth excuse why taking it to a UPS was a better option. Overall, post-Hurricane Ian and Nicole, there have been at least 10 of my neighbors who have dropped Spectrum and have switched to AT&T fiber, now I’m another one. Spectrum is terrible.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Spectrum doesn't backup their trade in, they deal with another company CWorks Solutions. They will steal your old device. They send email with no contract information or customer support. Spectrum will do nothing for you, trade your own phone in, Spectrum and CWorks is and can't be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

We just moved, and decided to go with Spectrum for our internet. Then we received a flyer that offered a package deal with our phones. We were told that we could pay on our outstanding balances on our devices through Verizon, and that Spectrum was affiliated now with Verizon, and it would be no problem. We were told what our new bill would be, so we went with it. It was a great savings for us. Turns out that was not correct information. The devices needed to be paid off first, and the bill was 50$ more than quoted. So by then I have already switched my service over to them.

Now I’m trying to get my service back to Verizon, and it took two days on the phone! I was on the phone for 11 hours between the two days. I was in tears. Literally. I have never been told so may mistruths and conflicting information ever! So I decided after the weekend, to go to A brick and mortar Verizon store, and the girl that helped me, fixed the problem within 4 mins. It was an issue with the electronic Sim and she clicked a few buttons, and I was done. How any company can allow this to happen and waste of time and payroll to people who don’t even deserve the jobs they have been given, is just unreal. Hope this helps the next person that may be thinking of switching to this company. All I can say is, DO NOT!!! They tell you what you want to hear to get business, and then are no help after! Not one of the 10, or more people I talked to, had a clue what they were talking about. Beware of this horrible company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

I have been a customer of Sprectum for over 15 years. In September 2022, I decided to cancel service because this past year I noticed a degradation of service. The internet would go down in the evening several times during a month leaving the upstairs TV sets with no service. The TV sets directly connected to cable had at times heavy pixelization and the sound would go off or not be in sync with the show. On 9/28/2022 I canceled service, returned my equipment, and was expecting a prorated bill in the mail. But instead, I received a bill for the entire month from 9/16/22 through 10/15/22. When I called customer service they said the company was not required to prorate the final bill because California law did not require them to do so. In fact, she stated that only two states in the United States required a company to prorate the bill. I find it totally unfair for a company to collect for services not rendered and will continue to dispute this bill.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

UPDATED 10/21/2022: Update from last review Still haven’t heard anything from Spectrum. Only thing I am receiving are calls and text messages saying I am late. I am tired of this happening every month! I was receiving this since the beginning of signing up with them!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I decided to switch to Spectrum from DirecTV due to costs and satellite kept going out. When I signed up it took almost over a month to get service. Spectrum is still charging me on a monthly service on my bill since the beginning when I didn’t have full service at residence. Customer service told me in the beginning they would prorate it for me since I was still using DirecTV at that moment of time. Over a year later still not fixed. Every month they want to shut me off due to their error in the beginning. TV box always goes out and internet slow and outages frequently! Now they raised my bill from 180 to just over 200 dollars a month! This is not what I signed up for! I cannot get anyone to fix this!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

After 8 calls, HOURS on hold and 2.5 weeks, Spectrum Mobile was unable to even activate our phones. When I finally had enough and wanted to cancel the "service" and get a refund, I got passed around like a cheap ... (date). If they can't do something as simple as activate a phone, why would I trust them with mobile service?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Unethical practices including not offering any downgrades to your service online. Once you sign in all services cheaper than what you have disappear. 2 days ago I was quoted $165 to downgrade our services to 15 channels (TV Select) and was told I could do this online which was untrue. I called back today and was told by customer service manager (2nd person I spoke with) that the $165 did not exist and in actuality would be $197. So going from literally hundreds of channels and internet for $245 down to only 15 channels and internet only saves me $45?? Spectrum should be ashamed. They are unscrupulous, unethical and a complete rip off. After hurricane, Ian, we lost Spectrum service for more than a day (no biggie) but you have to call them for a credit. Why wouldn't they do this automatically as a courtesy and because it's the right thing to do? Sad.

Spectrum Company Information