1.54/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1078 Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Years of having had SPECTRUM removed from our home I've had the unpleasant experience of forcibly having their services re-installed into our home since Spectrum has the monopoly of the surrounding area where we live. Neither WOW, AT&T or EarthLink are able to install cable into our homes even though we are compatible with their services provided. This said, installation time(s) have not been in compliance - workers neither shown up or extremely late. Our time taken from work and loss of monies cannot be recouped and SPECTRUM not once consider adjusting our account. Monthly billing not HAS YET to be submitted electronically or USPS regardless of the MONTHS of calls to customer service OR emails to CEO hotline.

The only utility bill due that is "late" is the one we NEVER receive unless we remember and or begin to write it down on the calendar. The services are not that great for what we are charged to begin with. And if I'm expected to pack up this box and take to a store...not happening. Prices increasing with SPECTRUM and not paying each month for late fees or service for a service that is pathetic and not corrected. Shame on Tom Rutledge for handling business and a corporation in this manner. Your workers are lacking educations, technology and hospitality. Sometimes the customer is RIGHT. AFTER ALL, there is a reason people are cutting the cord.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Reinstating my regular service after it had been on "seasonal" mode for a few months, I was faced with Spectrum's conversion of TV service to a 100% digital format. In addition to the additional fees associated with equipment required for digital TV, making the conversion has been a terrible experience. The lines at the Spectrum store where I got (and returned some of) the equipment were incredibly long. I was issued faulty equipment. When I returned the equipment, they totally changed my bill, cancelling services I needed. When they gave up trying to make my equipment work from a call center and said I needed a service call from a technician at my house, I had to wait about 5 days for an appointment.

I spent 45 minutes on one phone call, 50 minutes on another and over an hour on a third, mostly on hold, trying to get help. When I did get a person on the phone, they simply did not know the product or procedures. I got incorrect information at least twice, causing me to do things (return equipment, change service) that I really did not need or want to do. The changes they told me I had to make had to be reversed, setting off another round of time consuming and frustrating contact with Spectrum. In the past, I told people that Brighthouse was a company that provided very good customer service. That is certainly not the case with Spectrum and I am investigating my options for obtaining the services I need from another provider.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The company Spectrum does not take responsibility when they make a mistake. My husband called in and was told that he needed to pay at least half of the past bill or we would be disconnected. We only owed 28.94. He was told it was 177.26 today or the service would be disconnected. When he asked for an explanation the guy was very rude and made no sense. He then proceeded to give the representative our bank account information. I immediately called back and told the representative that I got we did not owe that much and please explain the amount owed. The representative said we owed 28.94. I said I knew that, my husband paid someone else's account and was threatened to do so.

The gentleman said he would take care of the mistake and find the payment. He said, "Don't worry. It will not come out of your account". Well that Saturday Oct 24th the payment came out and overdrafted my account. I called back to resolve this issue about 11 times and each time was told something completely different. Then they had the audacity to say, "We will refund you what you don't owe on the new bill that generated". I of course would not agree to those terms. They took my money and paid another account. Why should I be concerned about the new Bill? So I finally spoke with a supervisor that escalated the issue and said I would be refunded in 5-7 days. That is not the case. I then was told they issued a check and it will be here within 2-3 weeks. This company has been nothing but dishonest and hateful!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Unbelievable! After being hounded with junk mail for MONTHS I finally succumbed and ordered the $89.99 special. That $89.99 bill doesn't include RECORDING or WIRELESS and the first bill informs that there will be an immediate raise in the equipment and Broadcast surcharge fees. They don't tell you until you order that they also charge for installation. OUTRAGEOUS! Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

First I want to say that I’m a LONG LONG time, Time Warner customer... Whomever states Spectrum is great or does an excellent service... probably works for the company! Spectrum is a piece of garbage wasting my time for two weeks trying to get the cable & channels going for $143 dollars a month & it’s still the time I cannot see my channels, it’s been call after call not counting I have wasted my gas going inside Spectrum local stores, I have not gotten a solution or fix! This company all it does is steal the hard workers' money! Total piece of GARBAGE! If you want to get STEALED GET SPECTRUM AS YOUR CABLE, INTERNET AND PHONE PROVIDER! If you have the option of SWITCHING providers rather than Spectrum DO NOT HESITATE ON DOING IT! My sincere recommendation! Don’t let this people fool you or take your hard earned money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Did not take long for me to ditch Spectrum. Since May 2018 to election night 2018, I have had so many problems like many others. After third DVR replacement because of the shutdowns just from using the equipment as it was SUPPOSED to be designed to perform, like fast forwarding or rewinding, I switched to a regular TV receiver. They tried to charge me $35 for replacement, and I refused to pay it since the rep said I would not be charged since I am disabled AND DO NOT OWN A CAR.

Since then, I have experienced service outage for the third time, during shows I expect to be available, like This Is Us premiere, Halloween night and on election night all three services failed simultaneously. TV, Internet and phone all failed for several hours. DONE. Going back to Verizon Wireless, free TV and Netflix. Buyer beware. Customers leaving by droves due to Spectrum not delivering basic services it is being paid to provide. I wish I could say how I REALLY FEEL!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

This is ridiculous!!! Ever since Spectrum took over Brighthouse it’s a terrible deal. They put me on a package with a phone which I don’t use and I gave up a bunch of channels. THEN when the promotion ended they raised me over $60 a month but I still have nothing. Every time I call NOBODY will help me. They say nothing we can do. So now I am paying $154 for missing channels!!! I asked them to work out some deal. They refuse to work with me. Period. I hate them. Such scammers.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We moved in to The Colony TX area for more than 3 month. 3 months ago, when we have the service, we were told the cable in the back of the house will be buried within 7 days, but 14 days goes by, cable still there. We called, and called and called for 3 months, many times. We were always told there will be an order and someone will call me to get it buried. Someone did called a few times to tell me it will be buried tomorrow, but many tomorrow has past, cable still there. HOA sent letter to me will fine me and the kids are running around in the area. Parents told me if any kids gets hurt, I will be responsible for. I said there is nothing I can do besides keep calling Spectrum. The parents told me I should call the police. I will call the police if no one fix it by next week.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I switched my equipment over to TIVO to save on cost and get better technology. It was a complete nightmare dealing with their service department. They were poorly trained and had no idea what to do. They brought non-compatible equipment that didn't work with their modem. After a 3 week fiasco of phone calls and wrong equipment, I was finally up and running. It was worth the effort to have better equipment. I have a second home and my provider is Xfinity, so I'm able to see how bad Spectrum is. Wish it was my provider in Ohio.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Spectrum (formerly Charter in this area) recently upgraded their service (to our advantage I'm sure *sarcasm*). I apparently need to upgrade to a better modem. I was told this was no additional charge. If I were dependent on this service for any kind of income it would have been much worse. I can get one tomorrow, in the meantime I have no internet. The agent told me that I should read every piece of mail that comes from Charter. I told him it was almost all sales crap. He said there are important notices. I hung up. Everything I get from Spectrum says "Important" am I expected to read every piece of junk mail I get just to make sure I don't miss something? Should I take every fraudulent phone call and email seriously for the same reason? Is Charter Spectrum condoning fraud?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Spectrum is the most incompetent company I have ever come in contact with. My husband is looking into getting Internet and Phone Service through another company. I called to get an upgrade, so Spectrum came out and changed my equipment. However, before the lazy technician left, he didn't even check to see if all of my services were working! I had to call them back and BEG for someone to come back out and connect my landline phone service, since I absolutely need it for work. They came back and now it's been 2 weeks and I have no features on my phone line.

I have spoken to 8 people totaling 6 hours on the phone with these incompetent people and they still have not provided me with the features that I am paying for. How is it so damn difficult to connect features from your office. HORRIBLE customer service. Also, they have no respect for your house! They will tear holes in your wall, leave cords in disarray. I beg you to use another company... You won't regret it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I have had Bright House/Spectrum cable & internet not by choice but at 3 different addresses. One, after given many routers, every evening I had to call to get my cable/internet to unfreeze. Every night. Told me they can only fix it if they come out and I have to pay a service charge. This home, had issues with them having equipment. My original appointment was set 1 month in advance. Service person shows up telling me they ran out of routers; that Bright House only gives the techs a certain amount. And he was out. And they would call to schedule to come out with a router. No one called. I called the Spectrum rep for the community I live at. He is not helpful and does not return emails well. I do not have AT&T as an option because this community has a deal with Spectrum/Bright House for its properties.

Next, every night at my new location, Internet is slow and cable freezes up. When I call customer support, a message states (if it’s cable or internet) that there are updating issues so service might not be available, no reps are available and there is no info to give you. It states almost like a disclaimer so they cannot be responsible for bad service, that if you have Netflix, Hulu, etc, that it’s probably their issue not Bright House. (I’m not using anything except cable so they can’t scapegoat with other companies). I can tell you at other locations, when I tried to use Apple TV, it could not keep up. It would lock up. AND every time I get cable and internet I ask for a fast version. I’m always assured it’s more than I could ever need. It’s horrible.

In fact, I use my unlimited Verizon data on my phone to do everything. The internet is too slow and crashes too often. I wish my community didn’t have a “deal” with Spectrum/Bright House so that I could get AT&T. So three homes, issues every time. I’m still trying to find a real email to email the company. Also, their chat is not with a real person. Every time I try it, it is a canned response stating something like “I’m not trained in how Bright House equipment operates”... something like that. In other words you are out of luck. When all I submitted in the chat was “I need a customer service or customer feedback email”.

You cannot and will not get help. Your service will not be as fast as using your phone’s data, and your cable and internet will not be reliable. Even in perfect weather. (Don’t let their commercials fool you. I don’t know how they can say that in stormy weather it works correctly when it cannot work right on a clear day). Bottom line: it’s not reliable. Customer service is very hard to get. They are not reliable. If there is a main Spectrum rep you had to call to get your initial appointment, they really only care about making sure you don’t cancel your service that 1st month. You will not get help even if it is just asking for a customer service email. This should not be okay to do to customers but they can because you do not have another provider choice. Which is a bit shady.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

No contracts, great! Provide internet service for 44.99. Great! They will then proceed to contact you by phone & mail to convince you to bundle a media package for a better price. It is NOT! After 12 months you will get a bill for $70 + dollars. You call and let them know this must be a mistake for them to tell you the 44.99 was only an introductory RATE! They say "sorry, can't help you, it is what it is now because you are no longer a new customer." Ask if you wish to continue service or simply cancel. "Well, yes, bye..." Cancel service. They DON'T! You will have to report them, and continue to waste your time calling to get them to cancel. They don't want to cancel your service because they want to be able to bill you the doubled rate. SCAM COMPANY... PLEASE BEWARE!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I can NOT believe that this company has the "nerve" to actually go up, for some people nearly $100.00 per month! And I cannot believe that they're actually being given the okay by the commission to do it. Will service be better than it's been? Or will shoddy services continue while we line their pockets with more money? I'm on the hunt for another provider or to get a Firestick, so that Spectrum can 'stick' it where the sun doesn't shine.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

First of all, I just wanna ask who had the cojones large enough to serve this ** to paying customers. If I wanted my internet to disconnect every 5 minutes, I'd unplug the modem myself. Slowest speeds I've ever seen, the weakest signal imaginable. I get better service using my phone's mobile hotspot/data, "AT&T", you know, the one they claim they're better than. (I think you'd have to hate yourself to get Spectrum's mobile service as well).

I've seen that damn no internet dinosaur game more than anything else I was actually browsing for. And the rate just keeps climbing. For what? Im sure hamsters on wheels could generate a more reliable service all while costing less. Don't even get me started on the cable service. First of all, one of our boxes wasn't even turned on, yet we were paying for it the whole time. Even the guy that came out to fix it was puzzled. Second, services like on demand are almost always unavailable or unable to load. The guide breaks every other day meaning if you don't know what channels are what, good luck finding something to watch. The worst experience I've ever had, and I've been through DirectTV, Comcast, Dish, even Time Warner etc. Never had the problems I'm having now.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We have 3 TVs. 1 of them goes out several times a week causing me to call Spectrum to restore the converter box. Such a hassle. I've never had to do this with any other providers, and I've had most of them now. I don't care or believe their equipment will ever work properly. Poorest engineered service ever I have paid for.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was a customer with Time Warner and recently came back as a Spectrum customer. I am not happy with this quality of service I am currently getting. The television live broadcast doesn't work. The on-demand is not working most times. This problem has existed for three months. Can't go beyond this if there is no improvement.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Spectrum came out on a weekend to install new internet service at my home. After 4 hours the technician tells me that my service line signal wasn't working so he would have some come out to finish the installation. No one came. After multiple calls and being given the runaround I am still without internet 48 hours later. These ** did not deliver the service promised. They failed to complete a new internet installation job in the time agreed upon and charged my credit card for services not rendered. I am absolutely disgusted. Never had such piss poor service. I am gonna make sure I repost this on every website that allows customer service review. Beware of Spectrum! They take your money and give you the runaround. They don't even follow up on their own screw ups.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I understand that I was on a special rate and it is due to go up. So I called asking if they would reduce it. Of course the answer is no. It is going from $135.00 to $155.00. Next year it goes up to their standard rates. They don't believe in reducing it for their current customers who has been with them for a long time. Then I was checking online with Spectrum and the young man called and I was explaining and his remark was IT IS WHAT IT IS. So rude. I will stay this year and then if it gets close to $200.00 next year, I am gone.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have had nothing but great service from this company. From internet to tv service. Each time I call, the hold time may be long but I always get a friendly and knowledgeable person on the other line who is more than willing to help resolve my problems. I will always recommend to anyone looking for amazing reliable service!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This service is horrible. They change their name from Time Warner cable to Spectrum but still kept the bad service. At 12:40 my internet and cable went down and was not restored until 3:02. I was working on an assignment for school and the internet crashed. I called the company at 12:48 and the automated system stated that there was no outage in my area. S/W Sarah and she stated there was outage in my area and read from a script about how she would credit me 7.94 and give me a call back once services were restored. I said it was acceptable because my teacher will not allow to make up the assignment. She continue to read from her script.

I then ask to speak to a supervisor (Ayne). He basically agreed with the rep and stated that outage happen due to unplanned outage. And they were only offering a $7.94 credit and a call back. I asked where did he get this amount he stated based on my monthly rate of $138.45 divide by 30 days. I know my services were restored because the TV and cable box were on not because I got a call back. The break down of the $7.94 is $4.94 for cable and $3.00 for internet. I would recommend that you get Dish, DirecTV or fire stick, Netflix, Hulu, Roku before getting Spectrum. It's not worth the headache. I wouldn't even get them one star but you have to give a star in order to post review.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I had to drive an hour to pick up a cable box! The representative in the Kissimmee office was very rude! She ended up giving me the wrong box. It didn’t have the serial number assigned to me. Spent most of the next day on the phone with someone trying to help me activate it. She finally had to send a tech out to the house. He discovered that not only was I given the wrong box but it was a defective box as well! The tech suggested that I call corporate about it. He was very nice to me. When I called corporate she was even ruder than the first woman! She said that she was going to look up the tech that had been so helpful and he would be in trouble! She said they don’t give upgrades to customers for their mistakes! I am so done with Spectrum!!! If I could give negative number of stars I would!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

CHARTER SPECTRUM claims that my payments for June and July 2018, for Internet, were not paid and proceeded to deactivate my services. I normally make my payments online through US Bank. I went to US Bank and after being jerked around by them, they provided with ACH documentation proving that Charter Spectrum had cashed both payment. Well, in order to reactivate my services, I had to pay on the spot, over the telephone, causing a double pay for June and July 2018.

I've spent hours of time talking to Charter Spectrum Billing, Fraud and Cash Management Departments --all customer reps who have lied and basically said what they needed to say to end the conversation/inquiry. As of today, this company would not bother to 1-acknowledge their error; 2-refund my money --money that does not belong to them. If they've done this to me, I assume that this is what they do to a lot of people. Totally unacceptable and deceptive.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Can this crap go on? TWC ripped people off for years and now Spectrum just took the torch. They are overpriced and do NOT help when you call them IF you ever get in touch with them. It is sooo annoying!! I have NEVER hated to call into a call center as much as I hate calling them. The only other place worse calling is DMV!! Believe me, after 20+ years, NOTHING has changed for the better!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I have been a Spectrum customer long before they were called so. Have had no issues up until they increase their speeds to 200mb, I suffer poor connectivity and slow speeds to the extreme. I have had to call a few times and each time they have sent a technician out but every time they find nothing. Please stay away from this company. You have been warned.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The Spectrum App is pure junk. We get blurry pictures, it "overloads" and shuts down almost every evening. You call and get apologies, "we're aware of some issues and are working on them"...for nearly a year! Then we get our bill. Who is going to reimburse me for all the time I've been on hold (average of 20 min.) only to get no results. It will kick you out and ask you log back in and our log in won't work...another phone call and reset. If this is an example of 21st Century technology, bring back the rabbit ears!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

There was already an active Spectrum account at my address but I decided to open my own since I was gaming so much. After the initial install I kept getting lag spikes. I was plugged directly into the modem with a 100MB connection. Techs came out to my address 4 times in one week. Each time they said they had fixed the issue. I was getting ready to leave the state so I said to myself / forget it! I returned the modem and canceled my account.

If I were to re-open my account they would charge me to have a tech come out and "setup" my modem. When I asked what exactly they were setting up? Couldn't I just go pick up the modem and do it myself? "They have to test the signal and make sure everything is working." Well - If they had done that anyone of the FOUR times they had previously been to my address I wouldn't have had to cancel my service in the first place. I'm not going to pay you AGAIN to "setup" my modem when it's been less than two weeks since the service was canceled.

Another thing... I had the service (internet only) for about five months @ $39.99. If I were to re-open (after having closed it for only two weeks) not only would I have to pay that set up fee (40-60 bucks?) but my new monthly bill would be $60.00. Unfortunately, there are no other competitors out here so if anything I would just have to use the shared house hold internet. Not impressed. Horrible customer service. Techs that don't know/care what they're doing. Wasted my time and for nothing. 0 stars.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've had the streaming TV service since Feb 2018. I has worked maybe 50% of the time. We have three Samsung TV's, all have the Spectrum streaming app as well they all have Roku device's with the app. In the last few months the streaming has got to the point where it just doesn't work well enough to watch. All devices have Netflix and Prime and work flawlessly so we knew it was a Spectrum issue. I finally decided to bite the bullet and call today (hour on the phone). Started with internet/streaming TV support and explained the scenario and said I'd like a technician to come and resolve the issue.

To the rep's credit she said they are aware the service doesn't work as it should and hasn't and they don't have an ETA and sending someone wouldn't resolve the issue. She gave me the current months credit but said she her department couldn't do a retroactive since Feb and transferred me to billing. Billing; wouldn't issue any credit, transferred to a manager and she said the same. I asked for 50% credit since streaming service started in Feb. I will be filing a complaint here in MI with AG or whomever as this is ridiculous. I asked manager to conference in the rep who explained the issue and she said she couldn't and she also couldn't tell me if the call was recorded, WOW! Never again will I do business with this company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I pay for Spectrum Gold Service. Over and over when I try to access a channel I receive a message that says, "Only available to Spectrum Gold," which I pay for. When I call to complain no one answers. Tonight, I finally hung up after waiting an hour and five minutes. Don't buy Spectrum. It's a moderately good service with horrible support.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I’ve had Spectrum/Time Warner for a little over 2 years. I recently got tired of my bill climbing every month and the cable and On Demand services NEVER working properly. After going days without being able to use my Cable, I’d decided that I only needed internet from them. Well, my internet goes down just about every single day and when it’s not down the speeds are ridiculously slow. Spectrum service is some of the most expensive that money can buy and it never works like it should. The commercials about change are disgusting and laughable. They care nothing about their customers!

Spectrum Company Information