3.8/5 (4133 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: July 20, 2021

In regards to my experience with Spectrum, when I had a problem with the connection, the Company had two repair Technicians to come out to my home. However, when one e was unable to solve the connection problem, the other took the time to retrace what may have been missed during the repair. Yes, the second Technician found what the issue was. He replace the old equipment with new equipment; explain to me the reason why the old equipment was not working properly; took the time to go over the steps as to how their new equipment was better; and remove the monthly payment from my bill!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I know lots of folks want to bash cable, but I just wanted everyone to know we had an incredible service experience! The "cable guy" who came to help us with issues following a lightning strike was the most experienced, knowledgeable, and pleasant rep of ANY company with whom I have worked. There were multiple diagnostic issues, since the extent of the damage to wiring, boxes, modems, splitters, amp was initially unknown. Jon S from Farmers Branch, TX Spectrum spent the time needed to discover the problems and resolve them. Additionally, he provided a way for me to make contact in case there were follow up issues. He was an incredibly capable and communicative, and the experience was a complete surprise given our history with cable service providers. Whatever they need to do to retain employees like Jon should be done - give him a raise, promote him, whatever it takes. I can only hope to have service from someone like him in the future.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

We had Spectrum back when it was Brighthouse Networks. Once it became Spectrum, at first it was horrible. The monthly bill kept going up and up. We were at about 200.00 a month and said no more. Went to strictly streaming. Spectrum kept sending offers via mail. After about three years we decided that we would try Spectrum again. The offer is good. Actually paying less than we were with the different streaming apps. Everyone has been extremely nice and pleasant to work with. So far really good. They have 5G network and all our devices are working well. We are happy.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Pretty decent service for the amount being charged. There are a lot too for others service providers who charge almost double for the same internet speed. Spectrum has gotten better over the years with their customer service and internet speed. Also, there three level of internet service so you choose what is best for your internet of speed and money. Overall it is a good company to have as your ISP. Even though they also offer bundle packages which can save some more money if the customer is interested. But they are not pushing and won’t force you to commit to a bundle plan. But for the people who need it, it is a good option to have.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I was with Cricket Wireless for 30 months. Happy with the service. However I discovered that Spectrum Mobile MVNO is on Verizon's network. I have clearer calls and the data speed is much faster then Cricket. So I switched to Spectrum; I bought a new LG phone (like LG phones). I was able to port my number within less than 10 - 15 minutes.. I do not use much data away from home. I use wifi at home.. It is rare for me to use more that 0.75 gigs of data.. Hey $14.00 per month on Verizon. NO-BRAINER there. I like the fact hot-spot tethering is part of the plan. But I like the idea $45.00 is max charge if I go past my data plan. Spectrum has the best phone support I have used for assistance.. Spectrum customer support is very, very courteous.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Spectrum's customer service is absolutely dismal despite their decent internet in my area. Year after year I have been forced to take their internet service because they have been the only game in town. Without competition, the rates rise every year and each year I am forced to reevaluate how much I am willing to pay for a basic service that allows me to do my job and stream some television. I am happy to shed their terrible service now that T-Mobile offers home internet through a hotspot gateway in my area. It is a much lower rate, has better speed, and the customer service has been amazing.

Upon canceling my service, Spectrum told me I was liable for the bill for the month and they would not pro-rate my service, despite the fact that I would not be receiving the service for two of the four weeks I would be paying for. They pointed out that the billing cycle (which was in much smaller print) had begun and I was obliged to pay for the full time. It is this sort of disingenuous and deceitful behavior that leads to people jump ship to a company with better customer service and a better experience at the first chance they get. I am glad to be rid of their service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Watch bills particularly when cancelling. Worried about seniors with this. Bill within hours when cancelling for equipment. Supposed to have 2 weeks to return. When cancelled billed for month after cancelled. Poor practices. Concerned seniors pay for services not provided because scared not to. Not a good company to work with.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Sales department is a scam. Multiple price differences from each person to talk to. Horrible service. We had three different quotes within a two hour period which we discussed the same service. We kept asking them why they kept changing the pricing. No wonder what they were talking about and we are never able to get through. The box was sent to us. We're sending it back. We requested someone to come out and help us. That was almost impossible. We were sent to 16 different locations. An absolute nightmare. Horrible service. Horrible sales team with no knowledge of what's going on. Save yourself the trouble. That's consumer fraud when you keep changing pricing.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

This has been completely the worst service I have ever experienced. I was with them for 3 years and to say the least they do not reward you for customer loyalty. Within that time the Internet was very unstable and nobody could ever help. When we moved we requested our services to be canceled at the end of the month just like every other service you have and they told us to send back the equipment and we thought that would be it. We then get a bill charging us for the equipment as well as another month's worth of Internet. I called and told them we sent the equipment back and that I gave my cancelation for the end of the month so I shouldn't be charged for another 30 days of Internet. The supervisor or manager Caren blatantly told me, "We are a subscription based service and that we will not be refunding you as you had the service until the 31st and billing end on the 28th." So in short I am paying $79.99 for 3 days of internet.

Of course they state these details somewhere but nobody told me when I called in for cancelation to make sure I end my services at the end of billing month otherwise I would have ended it then to not pay for the next month. After 3 years of being with them they have no customer satisfaction and only want your money. Completely unhappy with them and the so called service they provided. I will be leaving more reviews on as many platforms as possible to warn people of them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

One positive = The initial monthly charges for cable TV, internet and Wi-Fi include a perk of HBO/Showtime for 1 year. (No one advised me of this, I found it out by mistake!?) Multiple Negatives =

(1) When accepting the option of getting a call-back, I was informed it would not lose my place in line. Not only did I lose my place in line, I didn't get a call back at all. This happened three times before I opted to stay on the line and hold for the next available operator.

(2) The voice verification the phone system reminds you of on every call, more than once, means absolutely nothing. Out of the 5 calls I've made over the past 24 hours and 15 people I've had to explain my problems, NO ONE has verified my account by solely using voice. I've had to repeat name, address, PIN, and issue to each and every one.

(3) Policies vary depending who answers the call:

(A) One person tells me I cannot place an advanced cancellation notice for cable TV while keeping internet and Wi-Fi. Another person states I can.

(B) One person tells me the cancellation will take place on my requested date, but erroneously disconnects cable TV as soon as the call ended. When I immediately called to reinstate TV, the rep did so, but did not tell me there was a fee attached to reinstate TV along with a price increase at the going rate (not my original rate which was valid for another 8 months!) Also, the rep that reinstated service, did NOT reschedule the cancellation originally requested.

(C) When I called to talk to billing about eliminating the reconnection fees (due to Spectrum's error), they could not handle the issue because nothing was showing up yet on the actual bill. Nothing can be done until I receive a bill.

(D) One person states I do not need a return box sent to me for the DVR and remote. Another person states that I do and will be sending me one to my home.

Sure, I have names, confirmation numbers, dates and times related to the 15 calls mentioned above. However, this does not always mean I will be believed. No one seems to read the notes prior to grilling me over what I want done and when. Spectrum charges a hefty monthly fee. Therefore, customer service should be optimal, straight-forward and accurate each time with each person. ALL details need to be shared with the consumer for each matter. Lastly, they should really use the voice verification they advertise at every chance.

Spectrum Company Information