3.8/5 (3422 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I chose Spectrum Mobile because my long-time previous carrier could not resolved my Caller ID issue. After multiple hours on the phone over 6 weeks, then refusing to send a Pin Transfer # to Spectrum, I was done. the downside was I had to get a new phone #, but I am dealing. My local Spectrum Customer Service was awesome. Youvette, Justin and Craig assisted me. My new phone was FedExed in 2 days as promised. I took it to my local office and the associates assisted me in transferring my information. Even though I had to get a new phone #, the transfer was seamless and they answered my questions. I have had to call Spectrum Mobile twice and the agents could not be nicer or more helpful, and they speak English. My reception is very good. I would recommend Spectrum Mobile upon customer service, fair pricing and professionalism.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

So far the service has been fine and tech support has been available for any questions we have had. Our service was with Verizon, and even though the basic network is the same for Spectrum, we have had fewer dropped calls and issues since we switched. And we definitely are saving money.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

It's a depends on the weather sometimes. If the weather is bad you can lose Internet service. Sometimes I have had to call to have it re-booted. The pricing has been a little higher than normal. They don't have as many sales as they used to.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

As a former AT&T client, my internet speed performance showed around 77 mbps at basic rate despite Spectrum's 100 mbps claim and versus Xfinity's, AT&T's and Cox's 25 mbps claim on basic rate. Spectrum basic rate is significantly cheaper than any other competitors. Just a few times, it ran slower (likely high demands and/or Spectrum computer manipulation to urge me to upgrade to 200 mbps rate (costs a lot more). Overall very satisfaction with Spectrum to this date.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

The staff at the store were very helpful. I moved from out of state and the staff was polite and patient with me and my questions. I even actually went with their phone plan and the same staff member went out of his way to set up my phone also. I have not had any issue with the internet with Spectrum at all where Cox cable internet was way more expensive in my previous state.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Unethical practices including not offering any downgrades to your service online. Once you sign in all services cheaper than what you have disappear. 2 days ago I was quoted $165 to downgrade our services to 15 channels (TV Select) and was told I could do this online which was untrue. I called back today and was told by customer service manager (2nd person I spoke with) that the $165 did not exist and in actuality would be $197. So going from literally hundreds of channels and internet for $245 down to only 15 channels and internet only saves me $45?? Spectrum should be ashamed. They are unscrupulous, unethical and a complete rip off. After hurricane, Ian, we lost Spectrum service for more than a day (no biggie) but you have to call them for a credit. Why wouldn't they do this automatically as a courtesy and because it's the right thing to do? Sad.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

This is the worst company to deal with and then some. Substandard services, keeping their customers in the dark. Hide information and not continue to sell services. They know it’ll discontinue in the near future like home security. Their customer service sucks and they don’t care generally about what their customer’s experience and needs. Will stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I volunteer for a non-profit animal rescue and I went into a Spectrum store to switch my services and the rescue's services to 'Spectrum's new $59. per month for 2 phones'. That was in July. When I walked into the store I had two working phones and walked out with no service on either phone. When I called customer service to ask why the store would not make sure the customer has a working phone before they leave the store and she said, "Oh the personnel in the stores are only salespeople". Are you kidding me! They set you up with service and do not make sure you have service! 3 stops at the Spectrum store and 6 customer service calls (todays was just under 3 hours actually talking to 3 different agents) and I still do not have service! DO NOT sign up for Spectrum if you need to actually have a working phone!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We have been with this company for years and decided to get the mobile service, we signed up for limited data plan and all went fairly well, then we're offered a new unlimited plan at a set rate for 2 lines, it turns out that plan was a certain amt per line, not for 2 lines, to make a long story short, we were stuck with a big bill that we weren't expecting! I am insisting on a refund for that and the opportunity to get the limited plan back, otherwise I will be shopping for a new mobile company. Beyond mad, spitting nails here.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Avoid doing business with this company. In my opinion, they are a master of “bait and switch”. They will tell you one thing to get you to “buy” (go with their mobile service) and then not deliver on promises. Do not be persuaded by their $29.99 per line offer. You really do get what you pay for and our experience has been that you get sub-standard (low quality) service. Everything from porting existing phone numbers, to activating new phones and to not getting promised trade-in offers on old phones was very problematic. It should not be this difficult to get quality mobile phone service!

Spectrum Company Information