3.7/5 (1927 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

Spectrum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2023

The service is trash! My phone has a service ERROR almost two to four times a day! I have to turn the phone off two to four times as well In order for the service to reconnect to the internet. I’ve been out in the middle of nowhere & the GPS will do absolutely nothing. This is not good for someone alone. Very frightening as a matter of fact! I hate the customer service reps because no one can ever assist me & ALWAYS transfers the call without even putting notes on the account so that the next rep knows what’s going on! I hate this company! Metro by TMobile was never like this!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

When we first moved to Oregon, 3 years ago, Spectrum was great. Outstanding service, quick to respond to our inquiries and installation, and very fast for repairs (minor issue when we first signed up), but after our two year agreement, of course like other large communication companies, our rates doubled, not to mention we started having service connection issues later in the evenings. So we called, and asked about assistance with pricing and reviewing the connection. They adjusted the price $5 or $10 lower per month, checked everything, and indicated they couldn't find anything wrong, and based on the lower cost, it was minimal as increase was much larger.

I warned them that a new carrier is coming into our area in a few months, and Spectrum didn't seemed to worried about my thoughts of moving to the new carrier, and refused to lower my bill any further. I mentioned, "When I call to cancel, you will then offer me a better price." Well, it happened. When I called to cancel, they almost gave me a free year (at a very minimal cost), so I simply said no, they had a chance and blew it. Our new carrier is great, better pricing, faster service. Spectrum is just like the other big companies, they don't care until you actually cancel.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

Was charged for service I did not even receive. Manager even said it was unfair. 1. Terminated service on December 27th. 2. New billing cycle was 12/24-1)24.

3. Charged for full cycle. 4. Not willing to prorate or work with me on the final bill. Internet service matched up with the other ones. Customer service did not. At the end of my promotional rate I contacted them to discuss and they were not helpful so I terminated my service. I went to the store to drop off the equipment and the representative that are said I should have just came straight to them and it would have worked with me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

A word of warning. STAY AWAY FROM SPECTRUM AT ALL COSTS!!!! They are nothing but a bunch of crooks who take advantage of homeowners. Just to recap what they’ve done to me. I called them and requested Internet service, they set up an account for me, told me I was eligible, gave me a price quote AND set up an appointment to come and install it this week. This morning I got a call from their construction department that says they cannot connect to me and if I want to be connected they’ll have to install equipment at the pole.

Now bear in mind, I don’t own that pole and the people two doors down from me on the right have spectrum and the third house on the left from my house has spectrum. They chose to ignore this little small group of homes stuck in the middle and they want me to pay them $6000 to come out here and put their equipment on the street to supply me w/ Internet service. Am I the only one that thinks that is just ludicrous?? Why in god's name would I pay them to put equipment on poles at the street that everyone else is going to benefit from and they’re going to be getting money from every single month for God knows how long in return for the service. If you agree with me, please be sure to leave reviews regarding spectrum's unethical business practices. My goal is to flood the Internet with negative reviews about the way they treat people.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

I have been a Spectrum subscriber for years, and currently have a bundled TV cable, phone, and internet package. The service is reliable 99% of the time, and the tech support is good. The only problem is, the service costs far more than I think it should. Furthermore, it is difficult to reach the billing or customer retention departments by phone.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Following Spectrum's takeover of my Time Warner (cable) accounts, the only things they have given me are rate increases and excuses. I've been told many times, by their customer service agents, Spectrum does not reward customer loyalty. AT&T Fiber finally made it to my neighborhood; lower rates and faster internet speeds. Once again I called Spectrum to ask if they would match AT&T's lower rates. I was told Spectrum does not match competitor rates. OK .. today I called to cancel my Spectrum service. I told the agent I have already switched my service and had no interest in hearing any deals they can offer. No surprise; the agent put me on hold multiple times. Each time she returned with another "deal" to keep me as a customer. After 25 minutes of delays; she finally cancelled my Spectrum services.

Next problem is returning a (cable TV) converter box. I visited a Spectrum corporate store 3 hours after cancelling my service. I was told my account was in a "change pending" status. A "change pending" status LOCKS an account; the sales agent could not process my converter box return until after the nightly system update.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

This company is a thieves, do not buy anything with them, they sell you a service and then when the invoice arrives it is other prices and every month they charge you different things. They sold me exactly in Aurbundale, Florida office, one offer of 2 telephone lines for $29.00 and the third line free, then they charged me for each separate line, then another invoice arrives and they are charging me 1g for the third line, I will stop paying for the phone service with them for that reason, they are criminals, that company should not exist.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Spectrum Mobile (Charlotte) - Spent hours and hours on the phone just trying to get my new phone activated. Hold time is typically 45-60 minutes after they transfer you to the department that is supposed to be able to help you. 3 days ago was told by Tier 1 that Tier 3 will send me an email but it has not arrived. After waiting for another hour to follow up on it was told that I could only wait because they have no way to contact Tier 3 and no complaint department. New phone is still not activated.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Spectrum charged me $85 for 100 Mbps. They did this for years until I learned AT&T offers 300 Mbps for $55. They will not look out for you. They will take your money and not mention you have better options with them. They claimed it was the old equipment they gave me such that the upgrade option "was not triggered" automatically. I tried to cancel my service and they kept me on a 30 minute call trying to hardshell me to keep me. I told them I couldn't trust them anymore. They ended up not cancelling my service and tried to charge me again a month after I cancelled and a month after I returned their equipment. Their own customer service said it made no sense they did not cancel and that they are still charging me. As usual they have to transfer you to customer retention who disrespect you and try to argue with you through hard sale tactics to try and keep you.

My last call, where I was very polite, the customer retention rep put me on a 20 minute silent hold without checking back. I had to hang up and reinitiate the call. Same hoops to jump through but I was so livid the last customer retention rep terminated my account and backdated so I was not incorrectly charged due to their mistake. I will never use Spectrum again, unprofessional, not concerned about their customers, and incompetent.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I recently had the unfortunate experience of having Spectrum Unified Communications install their Internet and Phone service at my business. From the outset, the installation process was poorly managed and took an unacceptable 4 months longer to complete than was necessary. One of the major issues I encountered was an inability to reach support when I had questions or issues. It seemed like every time I called, I was placed on hold for an unreasonable amount of time or transferred to someone who was unable to help me. This lack of responsive support was extremely frustrating and caused unnecessary delays in the installation process.

Another issue I encountered was a complete lack of communication from the project management team. I was often left in the dark about the status of the installation and had to constantly follow up to get any updates. This lack of transparency and communication caused additional stress and wasted time on my end. Overall, my experience with Spectrum Unified Communications has been extremely disappointing. The poorly managed installation process and lack of support and communication have been unacceptable and I would not recommend their services to others.

Spectrum Company Information