1.44/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1175 Spectrum Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING SIGNING UP WITH SPECTRUM - DON’T. They are horrible, their customer service is deplorable, their representatives are the worst I’ve ever dealt with. I have Never dealt with a company or provider that is as bad as Spectrum. Check the Consumer Reports and all of the Spectrum Sucks sites on FACEBOOK. Going with Spectrum would be the worst decision you could ever make. I had an issue with Spectrum and nobody could help me, I would be on the phone for hours, being transferred over and over. I went to the Spectrum store and they were rude, useless and didn’t even attempt to help me. They never resolved my issue. DON’T CHOOSE SPECTRUM!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

In October I had to quit my job due to health issues. I am also on assistance as well. I was on the $44 and some odd sense because with my assistance you have to have cable which I did not want and I never have because I do not like my son watching cable nor do I like to watch cable. I have always used the fire stick and can get just about anything for the last 5 years. My place of assistance terminated their contract with Spectrum this year because of the fact that they switch to digital which caused a lot of problems four people in my area.

So when the contract was up I went and turned in my digital box and told him I do not want cable anymore. I also had a man come to my house asking if I wanted cable from Spectrum and I specifically told him no I do not want cable nor did I ever watch cable and I returned my digital box. My neighbor is on the same assistance and she told me that a man came at night from Spectrum, I feel as if a guy from Spectrum coming to my house asking me if I want cable during the day should have probably went to her house right afterwards to ask if she wanted cable as well but instead it was at night time, I find that very strange and creepy.

So now every month my bill had went up by almost $10. I called and they said my yearly thing was over okay so I'd let that slide. Mind you I have no job at the moment and I'm a single mother and I do have a lot of bills that I still pay. Eventually in January my bill went from $44 and some odd cents to 80 some dollars. I called and told them that it's not possible for this to be and they said I have cable and I told them I do not have cable. I'm on housing. We turn in our digital boxes because of the fact that you made us switch to digital. After a long conversation and difficult conversation the lady finally got my bill back down to $34 to only pay instead of the $87 which I did pay. Then I get an email saying that my $34 was returned and now I have a fee for a returned payment. Which there is no reason for that and I do not even see the returned fee in my banking account.

Now my bill comes up for February and it is $212. I called Spectrum and told them that there's no possible way and that I spoke to a lady who had fixed it. I called every month for 4 months. And they have no recollection or anything put down about that day I talked to the lady when I have it all wrote down as well. They told me that I have a bundle package of $197 with internet and cable. Now my question is why would I go to a bundle package with internet and cable in. First of all I cannot get cable without my digital box which I turned in the digital box and told him I don't want cable. Never wanted it. Don't like cable. Then I told them or ask why would I call for the last 4 months still complaining about how it keeps going up and how it seemed a little bit suspicious that it started going up once my assistance stop their contract with Spectrum.

I explained to them that there is no way I would agree to that bundle package due to the fact that I have no job and I am behind on bills and I am struggling. I still to this day have a $212 bill and it is due in 5 days, and the customer service the last time was complete ignorance, but my call for the previous bill, the lady that easily got my bill back down to $34 because she saw that I'm still being charged for cable but I have no digital box was able to get my bill down was so simple. Then the next bill was to be back to 44 something, and now I bill due is $212!?!? If it is not taken care of I am thinking of contacting the Better Bureau Business because this is absolutely ridiculous.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

So I used the phone this morning, late in the morning, and early afternoon it went straight to a busy signal and a 'line in use' message. Hum. Nothing I did fixed it so I finally went into a chat with Spectrum where I was told that my phone service had been disconnected in mid December, over two months ago and that I could not get my phone number back as they'd given it to someone else... Apparently in the three hours since I'd used it they gave it away. Right.

So then they said they could give me a new number but that the cost would go up. Again, right. All I had done is add cable to my already existing internet and phone service back in December. I made extra sure that the phone would NOT be disconnected and that we needed phone/internet and cable. Like one previous person pointed out, it is almost impossible to find an itemized list of what you are paying for online. So basically I had the service, I've paid the full amount well before it's been due ever since I've had the service.

I upgraded two months ago and today for no reason at all and out of the clear cold sky, they cut off my phone and then told me they'd given my number away months ago, even though it is the number they need to access my account. It's connected to my account. How is someone else possibly using it. I even demanded to speak to a supervisor hoping for someone with an IQ higher than that of a glass of water, but I was not that lucky. If there were two dots to connect, these people would be confused by that. I would LOVE to have a choice for cable internet. I'd take Satan's Super Cable Service over these guys. Ya know, someone with more integrity than Spectrum.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I was a long time customer of Time Warner Cable. Spectrum has raised prices and remove services. How can you remove a channel that's a part of a bundle package, then tell me that the channel will be removed from the bundle. The price will stay the same. I'm looking for new cable service. Very unhappy. No help from customer service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Charter/Spectrum had a notice on my bill. That in Feb they were removing four premium movie channels from my Gold package. When I asked the rep at their office if the package price would go be going down, they said no. When I asked if they would be grandfathering in existing customers, the rep said no. I asked how much it would be to add back in the movie channels, and the rep said $38-$40/mo. It looks like if I want the channels back I will be paying an additional $480/year. A complete ripoff.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I called to setup Internet service and they sent a self install kit. I asked the rep how I would be able to activate service at the pole and she said that her records indicated that it was never physically disconnected at the pole. I asked if it was no physically connected at the pole, would there be a charge for a tech to come out to activate the line.

After trying to self install, a rep on the phone and I determined that there was no active service coming to my house so she scheduled a technician (several days later!). The technician reconnected service at pole and left. Now I get my bill with a service charge on it and customer service says that the tech said it was a "failed self install". This is a lie and they can't even give me the parameters of what a chargeable installation is. They just let the tech make that call and will not change it. This company is horrible and I will be going back to U-Verse.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Spectrum is so expensive and their service sucks! 99% unreliable!! I have a 4k TV that is useless. Every night at 7 you can't watch the app. If you try to use the on demand from the cable box they don't always offer the HD version of the show. The app if it loads is so pixilated and blurry. You can't make out a person's face. I call and call and they just say " uninstall and reinstall" useless!!! If I cancel which I have before... there is no good internet provider that has over 25 Megs. You pay almost $100 after promo is over for just internet that works 70% of the time. Stuck in hell!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I want to find out if I can reduce the internet plan I have and still get a good speed of internet since it feels like I pay too much. The website will only give me prices for upgrades. It won't show me the various packages it has. They require my address to do things on the site so will only show me upgrades. I tried a Live Chat and they won't give me any information. I explained my situation to the first one and she literally sent me a list of upgraded packages only. When I said that I wasn't looking for an upgrade she disconnected.

I communicated with a second Live Chat person (Susan **) and she apologized for what happened and said that she would check on things and disconnected from me. They are such a scam. This has to be illegal. All I want to do is look at the different price levels and see which one fits my budget and needs and they have no interest in helping me. I am calling next but I shouldn't have to do all of this to look at the services they offer. If they needed my zip code to give me prices in my area that would be fine but they ask for my address so they can block me from seeing anything but upgrade information.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

They don't care about customers. I've had an internet outage problem for months and they are inefficient to get it resolved and they don't care. They are rude and arrogant and apathetic on the phone and when they send technicians out who act like they know it all and can't even fix the problem. Worst of all they don't even want to credit me properly. I have Spectrum! and how they treat me as a paying customer, and this outage problem is still going on because they are too lazy and uncaring to come troubleshoot in the area or the building. IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE, DO NOT USE SPECTRUM. :((( P.S. THEY HIKE THEIR PRICES TOO, FOR THIS HORRIBLE SERVICE. VULTURES.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

So many lies, so many games and zero results. Unfortunately, my profession requires that I have internet access. Also unfortunately, I live in an area of Brooklyn (pop. 3million people) where there is no other option for high speed internet. I must use Spectrum and Charter and in turn, they take advantage of their monopoly and charge me for service I don't receive. I could go into boring detail but after three straight days on the phone begging for what turned out to be a $20 credit (for over a month of no service) that I'm too exhausted tonight...

I almost lost my job yesterday due to internet disappearing from my home for 48 hours (after a month of tech calls and visits and complaints but the problems only got worse). I missed several important emails and subsequently, large amounts of income that I rely on to put food on my family's table. I was accused, by my boss, of lying about my lack of home internet because "that's always your excuse!" Thanks Charter/Spectrum!

Bottom line is I'm in touch with the state, my attorneys as well as the BBBureau and the Attorney General's office of NYS. I highly suggest everyone else fuming over the unethical business tactics of the Charter Company call their representatives to demand this company be held accountable. It doesn't take too long on the phone and you'll actually get some results.

And if you're bored, Google: "Spectrum class action suit". You may find that you are owed money that you'll never get back. Someone should also look into their labor practices as I've heard from the 10 different techs that have been in my unit in the past 4 weeks, how horribly they are treated on levels that will make you very very sad. No employee rights whatsoever. Guys are forced to work sometimes 24 hours, and if they complain, guess what? They're shown the door. Just an awful company. If you have any choice at all, spend your money elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This company is a Ripoff. Every year they find a reason to increase the price and they just waste customers time and money. Can you imagine if they have 10 million subscribers and they raise your monthly service fee by $10. What would it turn out to be? What a shameless way of making money and the authorities are probably sitting on the same side and enjoying the benefits. This is ridiculous and unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Both my daughter and I work at home and we have Spectrum internet. We have been told that we are on a node all by ourselves because all our neighbors have AT&T or satellite. For the past several months, the service has become more and more unreliable. For instance, we have lost internet 4 times since 9am and it is now 3pm. It only goes off for a few seconds, enough for me to have to restart my computer and set up my network. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes. This is time that I am unproductive at my job. If there was any other option for internet for us, we would take it but there isn't. We're stuck with Spectrum. We're totally dissatisfied customers.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This company has very creative ways to charge you for fees, some probably invented by them as they seem shady and ridiculous. Just because they don't shackle you to a contract they make it up on extra fees. They have the ability to add up so quickly that I cannot keep up with the payments as the prices go up and up for very small cable channel packages. I am done. I cut the cable and went back to HULU and Netflix.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I have been with them since they were Time Warner Cable, 6 plus years. I never had issues with my wifi until they merged to Spectrum. Now the wifi goes in and out. I have done troubleshooting steps via app and customer support. Customer support just brushed me off and told me that if they come to my place and there is nothing wrong with my modem they will charge me. That was very poor customer service. The bottom line I have a problem with my internet and they did not care to resolve it. At the moment I am looking for another Internet provider.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

They took over for Time Warner and that's when it all started. First the price went up by $40 per month and now it's more than twice what I was originally paying. Cancelled cable and phone service today.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

So we've lived in Whitefield, Maine for over a year now. My father, who also lives in Whitefield just seven minutes away from me, has Spectrum internet. Over the past year, we've waited and tried other companies like Consolidated Communications and US Cellular to get internet service because Spectrum said "we don't offer service in your location yet, try again later."

Earlier today, my father says "try today" so we do. We call up Spectrum and the guy on the phone puts in our address and we go through the steps to get service, going as far as to set up a date to get a technician out here to set it up for us. Guy puts us on hold so that he can transfer us to get our payment info set up and to finalize everything. Someone from (I believe) the billing department picks up the phone and asks us again for our address and then tells us that they don't offer service to us and hangs up. We were on the phone for 15-20 minutes, the whole time glad that we could FINALLY get some decent internet that we've been waiting over a year for, and suddenly they don't offer it to us. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Spectrum internet is the worst. They promise you 100 mbps. Their ping test shows decent numbers but when you use a 3rd party (someone that's not trying to sell you anything) ping test it show 30-50 mbps. Constant outages and at times the speed drops to kbps. Not even 1 mb. The service gets worse and worse but the bill is constantly going up. Steer clear and find another ISP.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

An elderly client's service was stopped because of aid bills. The bills were set to an repeatedly sent to an incorrect address even after we called and changed the address. When calling to re-install service today, we find out that they now charge $5 to speak to a customer representative? And then they still drop your call due to technical difficulties. Customer service has truly been eliminated.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I would like to to watch up to date shows instead of reruns. I feel that I am always not watching live tv. So how do I know what's current and what's not. So I guess I would like to stream live tv instead of old shows and as far as internet it cuts in and out interrupting the shows all the time.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

It was about two years ago that I became a customer of Spectrum, formerly known as Time-Warner Cable. For years, I had avoided this company because just about anyone who has used them reports terrible service, lack of reliability, outrageous pricing and tactics therein. You needn't search online to know they have a bad reputation. I was hopeful, however, when I signed on for service which, for me, is just basic cable and internet. It didn't take long for me to conclude what all others are saying or have said about them - they're terrible. It's for the internet primarily that I subscribe, and I RELY on it. The amount of outages that occur are too many, too often. It's for this reason, primarily, that I offer this review. Very rarely can you find out via their customer service what the issue is - either they don't tell their reps what's going on or we're deliberately lied to. I'm beginning to think it's the latter.

Customer service is always a headache, always. They insist on going through this checking of your equipment protocol, despite the fact that no one has touched the equipment except for the Spectrum agent who installed it. I cannot count/recall the times I have contacted their customer service over internet outages. When it works, it's pretty fast internet, but again, when it works. Even if there isn't an outage, it's common for movies or TV shows that I stream to freeze. Then there's the issue of billing. The longer I remain with this company, the more my bill becomes. I don't think many of us would mind that so much if the quality of the service to which we subscribe and the customer service therein were significantly better. It's particularly telling when a company is well aware of their terrible reputation, yet takes no measures whatever to improve.

This company has thoroughly earned their bad reputation. I gave them a chance, but they proved of their own volition how utterly terrible they are as a company and as a service provider. There ARE other options, so I, like so many others, are looking into those. I will be glad to soon call myself a former customer of Spectrum, and I will not hesitate to explain to people why I'm a former customer. People usually say, "they're a monopoly." Only if WE allow it. Every minute you endure through your next outage is time for which they are billing you. Remember that.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

WORST company ever! I’m actually in the process of hiring an attorney. I canceled my service in May of 2018 and here we are in Jan 2019 and I’m still dealing with them. They never canceled my account ever after I changed my cable to WOW. I had no idea I still had an open account until I started to receive bills from them. They “claimed” I never canceled my account, when I had even returned their equipment. Still after they realized my account was canceled in May, they sent me to collections. After I told them I contacted an attorney is when they got serious. They stated they would be sending me a refund check in Dec 2018 and I have yet to receive anything. Every time I call, they state the check has been sent on a different date. Meanwhile my account is still in collections. Not sure how they owe me money and have me in collects at the same time. If I have write a bad review on every website, I will.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had Charter's email service with my business for several years. In the past six months, Charter switched to an Outlook based format. While I understand the changeover to Outlook is sensible due to its widespread use, the switch has been anything but smooth. In the beginning, there were a lot of problems logging in for a couple of months. Generally for several months the service has been dreadfully slow. It takes forever to load up an email from the inbox, to view sent emails, etc. I'm not sure why these problems continue to persist. I've called in probably 10+ times in the past 4-5 months to register complaints. I'm hesistant to change because I have many contacts stored in there and don't want to change email addresses. If you're considering using Spectrum's email service, DON'T!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Terrible internet. Can’t even watch the spectrum app. At least every other day channels I try to watch pause or lose sound or skip. If you have a choice don’t choose Spectrum. I upgraded to a “faster” internet speed and there is no improvement. If you have a choice don’t choose Spectrum.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

This is by far the worst cable/internet provider. The internet constantly stopped working from time to time. Very unprofessional technicians. We called in for techs to come by and assess the problem and by far, two of them are no call and no show. Not worth it. Stay away from this company. Poor customer service. No one is willing to help with your problem. No one wants to fix the problem but they want you to pay for a service that does not work at all.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I received a letter sent to my new address from Spectrum dated June 1, 2018 informing me that I had a credit. I waited until the end of July to inquire about when I would receive it. It is now January 2019 and after 6 calls (I made notes about time/date of call) I am told that they have no record of my credit. Mind you, I have 2 refund confirmation numbers! If I owed them money they would have cut off my service and had a collection agency after me. THIEVES!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Spectrum Sucks, every 6 months they have been increasing our rates. Service rates increases without any warnings!! Buyers be aware!! As a small business, it has become near impossible to survive in California. I will be looking into change the service carrier ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I made an appointment to have Spectrum install a wifi in our house. Immediately I began getting calls from Spectrum salespeople, trying to get me to subscribe to their other services. These calls came before I even had the wifi installed. So I called to cancel the installation and Spectrum's defense began aggressively. I could not get the person who answered to cancel my order. She kept arguing with me. After I hung up another woman called me back with the same aggressive sales pitch. If I hadn't canceled Spectrum would have called me constantly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have had Time Warner for many years, more than a decade, and never had any problems accessing my email online through webmail; logging into your email using an internet browser. Spectrum comes in and gives us 150mb/s internet, that is clearly throttled because it never gets that fast, particularly in one place - Spectrum Webmail. This site is so slow it reminds me of the beginning of the internet speeds on dial up.

It literally changes screens after :25-30 seconds, sometimes longer, and is so antiquated that it is obviously an ignored service. If you send documents through your email from a PC, you have to use a third party email service to find any speed, but when you do, you will get messages that say "message send failed" and many other lovely messages that are not correct and you send emails 2 or 3 times, or you just don't ever reply! I know, it sounds like user error, but this experience has come after using an iPhone and Outlook for many years. Trust me, it is their antiquated system that makes those devices report erroneous messages and keeps the webmail server slower than molasses! All the best!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

It would be zero but sometimes I can watch but only if it is not important. If it is a highly watched game, like the Ohio State game, it buffers continuously and is terribly fuzzy. What a rip-off! I recorded the internet speed with an independent speed analyzer. The 100MB speed was mostly in the 20's but often dropped in the middle tens during hi demand.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I started having my spectrum WiFi service last year for $49.99. This year, they charged me $69.99 and I asked the reason because the awful receptionist didn’t mention the price will go up like this. They said it’s only limited for one year. If you want WiFi service, don’t go there. They are going to fool you to get into this service.

Spectrum Company Information