3.7/5 (4286 ratings)

About Spectrum

Spectrum Internet provides internet, phone and home entertainment coverage to millions of homes across the country. It offers three plans with different internet speeds and multimedia options. Customers can combine TV, internet and voice services for the most cost-effective deal and take advantage of internet speeds as fast as 940 Mbps. Before you buy, it’s important to know that while Spectrum offers service in 44 states, not all features and speeds are offered in all areas.

Pros

• Offers a free modem
  • No long-term contracts
  • Packages for different budgets

Cons

• Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Spectrum is a reliable internet and home entertainment service provider. There are no long-term contracts, and the company offers fast speeds for heavy internet users.

Top Spectrum Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The customer service is great. Everyone is very nice… You can call them anytime and they will help you with tech support and take the time to talk to you. You can change your plan...

Verified

I am retired and spend the vast majority of my time at home within WiFi range… Spectrum's unlimited talk and text plan with 1 gig of mobile data for $14 per month is perfectly sui...

What is Spectrum?

Spectrum offers internet speeds of up to 940 Mbps for heavy internet users and those who stream HD video on multiple devices, but it also provides a basic package and an option for those who want something in between.

Spectrum Internet
Spectrum is known for its internet options that let you choose an internet package that fits how you use the internet. Through Spectrum, you can choose from three internet options:
  • The Basic Internet service offers 10 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Ultra option offers up to 400 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.
  • The Internet Gig plan offers up to 940 Mbps speeds and high-speed internet with no data caps.

If you are currently struggling with slow and unreliable internet speeds, Spectrum will buy you out of your existing contract so you don’t have to worry about early termination fees. Spectrum also offers free modems.

Spectrum TV
Through Spectrum, you can choose between four TV package options.
  • The TV Select option gives you access to popular movies, sports and news channels along with many on-demand options. You also get 125 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Silver option includes all the channel options from TV Select plus premium channels like HBO Max, Showtime and NFL Network. With this plan, you get more than 175 channels with free HD.
  • The TV Gold plan gives you everything in the Silver package plus Starz, Starz Encore and TMC. This option includes more than 200 channels with free HD.
  • The Mi Plan Latino TV gives customers Spanish and English programming options and thousands of on-demand choices. The Mi Plan Latino TV option comes in three tiers: Basic, Silver and Gold.
Spectrum Voice
Spectrum Voice offers reliable home phone service with unlimited calling throughout the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. There are no contracts and no hidden costs or fees. Additionally, if you call 911 from your Spectrum home phone, emergency services can find you based on your Spectrum service. Some of the features you can expect from Spectrum Voice include:
  • Voicemail
  • Call blocker
  • Caller ID on TV
  • Anonymous call blocker
  • Call forwarding

The Spectrum Voice International plan is $5 a month and provides unlimited calling up to 70 countries throughout Europe and India.

Bundling your internet and home entertainment services is a good way to save money. You can bundle two or all three of the options. You can check to see what bundling deals and promotions are available in your area by inputting your zip code into the website.

Spectrum internet prices

Since there are so many different options and ways to bundle Spectrum’s services, price varies based on your location, current promotions and your service options.

If you’re just looking for internet, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 24 months for Basic Internet
  • $65 a month for 24 months for Internet Ultra
  • $105 a month for 24 months for Internet Gig

Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra and subject to change during and after the promotional period; installation/network activation, equipment and additional services are also extra.

If you’re looking for home entertainment and TV services, you can expect to pay:

• $45 a month for 12 months for TV Select
  • $70 a month for 12 months for TV Silver
  • $90 a month for 12 months for TV Gold
  • $35 a month for 12 months for Mi Plan Latino TV

If you’re looking for Spectrum Voice services, expect to pay $29.99 a month for voice only or $9.99 per month for voice bundled with TV and/or internet.

Spectrum FAQ

How can I pay my Spectrum bill?
Spectrum gives customers multiple ways to pay a bill, including by mail, through the app, online, over the phone or by going into a Spectrum location.
What is the cost of Spectrum internet only?
Internet prices range from $45 to $105 a month.
Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
You can download the Spectrum app on an Xbox or newer model Samsung TVs.
Does Spectrum charge extra for Wi-Fi?
Spectrum offers a free modem for internet access, but you have to pay $5 per month to activate the Wi-Fi option.
Does Spectrum offer a senior discount?
Yes. The Spectrum Internet Assist program lets qualified households sign up for low-income internet assistance. This program includes a free internet modem, 30 Mbps internet, no data caps, no contracts and optional in-home Wi-Fi service.

Is Spectrum internet good?

Spectrum is known for providing consistent and reliable internet service. The company has several options, which means you won’t end up paying too much for internet speeds that are faster than you need. It’s a good fit for those who do not want to commit to long-term contracts, who use Wi-Fi hotspots regularly and who like to save by bundling their services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spectrum?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

In my neighborhood, there are not many service provider options for high speed internet. I live in a suburban area, but perhaps because of the hills, there are very few options. Spectrum offers the best available with promises of increasing the speed over the last decade, but it remains similar. It’s not as fast as it could be during peak usage, but for the most part, it is reliable. I am not a gamer. I just stream movies occasionally in a household of 3, and use the internet for business.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Spectrum cell service is available for Spectrum Internet users. The price was definitely the tipping point for deciding to use. It’s $14 per line, one gig per month. Since we do not use data much one gig is plenty. We have not experienced calls dropping or poor call quality like we’ve had with other providers. They will let you bring your own device, but there is some limitations on which devices they accept. They also have interest free repayment plans on popular phones. All over great experience.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

In regards to my experience with Spectrum, when I had a problem with the connection, the Company had two repair Technicians to come out to my home. However, when one e was unable to solve the connection problem, the other took the time to retrace what may have been missed during the repair. Yes, the second Technician found what the issue was. He replace the old equipment with new equipment; explain to me the reason why the old equipment was not working properly; took the time to go over the steps as to how their new equipment was better; and remove the monthly payment from my bill!

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have the full package, TV, Internet, phone and DVR. The service is in my opinion, is very good and borderline outstanding. Going into my third year with Spectrum I have had very few problems and those were addressed by their customer service team in a timely manner. The high speed internet is very reliable with speeds close to advertised. I have had cable and satellite in the past including both Dish and Direct and after moving to Spectrum I find it to be far superior in terms of quality and programing and the internet is far above any other supplier.

Original review: July 13, 2021

My only issue with Spectrum is that they have a telephone service that I've been trying to get and they keep telling me that my credit is not good enough. What if I'm paying you every month. Isn't that good enough to let you know that my credit is good enough and that I still am I still pay MetroPCS every month so I don't understand that. I mean more clarification on that from them and they won't give it to me.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I signed up and paid their fees for activation and service, a week later the company was still unable to connect my cell phone (iPhone), they told me it was my fault. I visited in store and was helpful to employee for connecting service providing everything possible. I tried over the phone, internet, and after four days I gave up. Their customer service is garbage, this company has no place in cell phone industry.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Spectrum has lousy service and the worst customer service ever! Fortunately they are no longer the only game in town. I have finally been able to switch to a new provider but have been informed by Spectrum that I have to pay for an entire month of service because I didn't cancel soon enough. So not only do they have lousy service, but they're also a ripoff. If you have any choice other than Spectrum, for anything, go with whoever else as they have to be better than Spectrum.

Original review: June 19, 2022

Very poor customer service and rates keep going up every 6 months and they never give you notice. But do keep advertising for offers that we don’t need. Do not choose them if ever possible. They are a good, reliable company and do not care about helping their customers.

Original review: June 18, 2022

A couple of months ago, my roommate and I decided to go with Spectrum to get new phones and bundle to save money as we were both with different carriers.

My roommate set it up on the phone with customer service/sales. Our phones arrived in the mail and we took them to the Spectrum store at Loop 410 & San Pedro in San Antonio. They got our new numbers that they assigned each phone, mixed up!

After literally two days on the phone with customer service, my roommate finally got her number straightened out and her phone activated. I advised customer service I no longer wanted the phone or plan due to the extreme difficulty we experienced with them: we were transferred dozens of times and dropped from the line as well. I was advised by Spectrum they would mail a label so I could return the phone but it would cost a $50 re-stock fee! I never used it-only the girl at the store who tried and failed to get my phone set up!

I then agreed to keep the phone so it was paid off in full as an auto-draft. I was contacted by Mr. **, the area manager for Spectrum here. He checked his computer and confirmed the phone was paid and I could call customer service to get the phone unlocked so I could activate it with my carrier. Today, June 17, 2022- I called customer service and spoke with Isaac who indicated the payment was applied to my roommate’s phone, not mine! My roommate’s bill reflects otherwise. Isaac refused to transfer me to a supervisor! I was promised a supervisor call back within two hours but was never contacted! Now, Spectrum is going to take another full payment and leave us in a financial bind! We are senior citizens and disabled. I am a disabled veteran as well! This is elder abuse! Now I’m stuck with a phone I paid for but can’t use!

Original review: June 16, 2022

As someone who has worked in countless customer service jobs, I could not tell you why ANYONE would ever work for Spectrum. There is a massive disconnect between what their CS agents are telling you over phone/chat, and what you see reflected in your account & billing. I hate to be so dramatic, but their agents literally lie straight to your face.

Moving houses? Good luck. I had spectrum internet at the same address for 3 years before calling them to let them know I was moving and needed to switch my service to a new address. I have now called/chatted/gone to the store in PERSON at least 10 separate times because everything I was told on the phone: Internet rate of $54.99, new address, etc. was a complete lie and I am continuing to be billed $79.99 for my OLD address, 3 weeks later.

I don't know how much clearer I can be with them. Have none of their customers ever moved? Why are they promising me the 54.99 rate if they can't uphold that promise? If you are one of Spectrum's customer service agents reading this: QUIT. Why would you work for a company that preys on their customers and has monopolized the market to where you have no choice but to use them? SPECTRUM'S BUSINESS MODEL IS PREDATORY. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. Why would you want a job that requires you to lie and scam people? Aren't you tired of dealing with angry customers? Do bettter. And Spectrum, shame on you.

Spectrum Company Information