EarthLink

EarthLink

3.8/5 (531 ratings)

About EarthLink

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

Pros

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

EarthLink internet services

To get started with EarthLink, visit its website and enter some information on your internet usage habits and where you live. If EarthLink is available in your area, a representative will reach out to you.

EarthLink offers two customizable high-speed internet services for commercial and individual use: dial-up internet service and HyperLink, EarthLink’s premier internet service.

EarthLink has internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no throttling or data limits. The company also has comprehensive customer service with an online self-help portal, live online chat and 24/7 phone support.

Customers receive multiple perks when they sign up for internet services with EarthLink, including:

• Access to eight email addresses
  • 10 additional anonymous email addresses
  • Virus and spam detection and protection

EarthLink security

EarthLink’s security software, called EarthLink Protect, allows you to partner with NortonLifeLock to detect potential threats on your devices and protect your personal information. EarthLink Protect offers:

• Real-time protection against ransomware, viruses and malware
  • Dark web monitoring
  • Parental control add-ons

EarthLink internet prices

EarthLink doesn’t disclose much information about pricing on its website, but it does state that residential internet plans start at $49.95 a month. The cost of your internet service varies based on what speed you want and where you live. To get an accurate quote, call EarthLink’s customer service phone number for more detailed information.

EarthLink Protect, the company’s device security and online privacy software, has two levels of protection for different monthly costs: EarthLink Protect starts at $7.95 a month, and EarthLink Protect+ starts at $9.95 a month.

EarthLink FAQ

Where is EarthLink available?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose its geographic availability on its website, but the company partners with local internet service providers to offer service in most states. To find out if EarthLink is available in your city or state, visit its website and enter your address.
How much is EarthLink per month?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose comprehensive cost information on its website, but it does state that residential internet service plans start at $49.95 a month. For more detailed information on EarthLink’s prices, contact a company representative.
What type of internet is EarthLink?
EarthLink offers two different types of internet: dial-up and HyperLink.
Who is EarthLink owned by?
Trive Capital is EarthLink’s parent company. Trive Capital purchased EarthLink in 2019.

Is EarthLink good?

EarthLink’s internet services are an ideal option for someone who wants basic internet services for a low monthly cost. It’s not available everywhere, though, so contact a representative to see if you’re eligible for EarthLink’s internet service.

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Spectrum sent an email and then a letter informing me their contract with Earthlink expired 10/31/2020 and my email needed to change. NOT gonna happen! So I dropped the Spectrum modem off to them and signed up for Earthlink Hyperlink. Keeping my emails, one of which dated back to 1996. Speed is better. Price is comparable. Granted, it uses AT&T backbone over copper, but I am pleased with its performance. It figures we'd be forced to act on internet during Covid. Thanks so much Spectrum. Grateful for Earthlink responsiveness.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have read a lot of negative reviews about Earthlink. My experience is different. I first discovered Earthlink when I was working for Time Warner Cable (Spectrum). I did an installation for the cable company at the customer's house. The installation was good and the customer was happy when I left her with a fully functional Internet service. Yes Earthlink contracts with local ISP's like Spectrum and AT&T to install Internet service on the ISP's network. That's not a problem because for some reason the Internet service costs less when you go through Earthlink to get it. Any installation problems that you have are therefore caused by the ISP (Spectrum or AT&T) technician, not Earthlink. I purchased Hyperlink 50Mbit Internet service from Earthlink. A AT&T technician did the installation. My new Internet service is riding on the AT&T fiber network in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I am very pleased with the new service and price.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I've had this address over 20 yrs. The recent updates in May 2021 stopped my ability to download mail from that address from downloading on my Mac OS computers. Still on webmail site. No Warning or support. In process of switching out of that address.

EarthLink response

Tane, we’re sorry you experienced issues with your email. Our technical support team is available to provide assistance at 888-327-8454. Or if you’d like, check out the support articles on our website at help.earthlink.net — they may shine a light on the issue. Thanks for sharing your feedback and please let us know if we can assist with anything else.

Original review: June 10, 2021

I had internet installed and they left the line above the ground saying someone would be coming over to bury it. Well that didn’t happen and a dog decided it was a chew toy. 5 days later same thing. I got a F in school due to no reliable internet.

EarthLink response

We’re sorry about your experience, Sandra. Please allow us to apologize for the impact the damaged cable had on your schoolwork. If we can assist with anything, please reach out to us.

Original review: June 9, 2021

For a paid service they are horrible in controlling spam. The more you try to fight spam or report it, the more spam you receive. I have a personal Gmail account. It is free, and better at handling spam. One click and it is never again. With Earthlink, you report it and you get more spam, as if Earthlink is laughing at you. They also mislead you in what they charge you. I paid for a year of service and more for extra mail storage. Out of nowhere they billed me again, because before the end of the term they raised their rate. I fought with them about paying in advance for a year so I should have not been charged differently until renewal. They didn't care... I threatened to leave, they didn't care. They also are unable to control their email distribution. Out of nowhere approved emails started showing up in the "Virus Blocker" folder, and they were unconcerned in how it happened or fixing the issue. We use Earthlink as a business account.

EarthLink response

John, thank you for sharing your experience and thank you for your business. We’re sorry you had this experience. Please be assured that we care and value you as a customer, and we’d like the opportunity to offer better assistance. If you’d like, please contact our Business Support team at 844-356-5249, then select option 1 > 1.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Earthlink claims to have an advanced form of Fiberware that does not include 5 G. This is a total lie. Centurylink was the installer not Earthlink. They (Centurylink, a local company did not know anything about Earthlink) stated there is no Fiberware connection. Had I known this was a blatant lie.. I would have gone with Centurylink and gotten a cheaper rate. After all the fraud and Misrepresentation Earthlink sent a letter stating if I broke the contract (What contract were they talking about?) I would be charged $200.00. Every turn of events they were lying and charging me for things I had not knowledge of. They are scammers. Earthlink is criminal and will be reported to the FCC along with Consumer Affairs. I would like to see these agencies who are designed to help the public with this kind of fraud do their job.

This same sales person at Earthlink sold me a security system FRONT POINT SECURITY SIG that was not what he claimed, again total misrepresentation and lies. I sent the box back: FRONT POINT SECURITY SIG ...Without my confidential information the letter reads as follows: "You need to refund my money $52.55 and the cost of shipping immediately. I have returned your product today, May 18, 2021. I have waited on the phone for hours in an effort to resolve this misrepresentation. I will not be doing this again. Finally, your agent called me back and wanted to switch me to another department. I will not spend another minute or hour waiting on the telephone."

This is not the equipment the sales person at Earthlink and I discussed. I am learning you know nothing about Earthlink. We talked in depth about gray video cameras. There are no gray video cameras in the box. I have no use for this equipment, I have been deceived. The Earthlink sales person totally lied and misrepresented the Earthlink internet as well. There is no fiber product as claimed, It is all electromagnetic frequency 5-G. Earthlink, fraudulently connected me with Centurylink a very harmful, inferior product and service. Earthlink has been reported to this Consumer Protection and Federal Communication Commission for fraud, extortion and misrepresentation.

Violations:

18 U.S. Code Chapter 47 - FRAUD AND FALSE STATEMENTS | U.S ... [USC02] 42 USC 1383a: Penalties for fraud. 10 U.S. Code § 927 - Art. 127. Extortion | U.S. Code | US Law ... Any person subject to this chapter who communicates threats to another person with the intention thereby to obtain anything of value or any acquittance, advantage, or immunity is guilty of extortion and shall be punished as a court-martial may direct. (Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 74.). 18 U.S. Code § 1038 - False information and hoaxes | U.S ...(1) In general.— Whoever engages in any conduct with intent to convey false or misleading information under circumstances where such information may reasonably be believed and where such information indicates that an activity has taken, is taking, or will take place that would constitute a violation of chapter 2, 10, 11B, 39, 40, 44, 111, or 113B of this title, section 236 of the Atomic ...

You may want to evaluate your relationship with this unethical company, Earthlink.

EarthLink response

Ann, please allow us to apologize for your experience. We’re sorry for any misrepresentation or misunderstanding. We are investigating this case so we can help get it resolved and further improve our service. We’ve gone ahead and refunded your reactivation fee. Thank you for sharing your experience, and let us know if we can be of any help from here.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Earthlink has been my email provider for nearly 20 years. Over the years I found the service easy to use, if somewhat expensive, so I stayed. I liked the anonymous email program for dealing with vendors, but now they have removed it. This week (May of 2021) Earthlink changed the way the service works. They claimed that they only made a few tweaks but NOTHING operates the way it did. The new service is clumsy and slow as compared to the previous iteration. It stalls in mid-operation! Emails with pictures or ads in the body open to sizes so great that they no longer fit the page. I had to zoom down to 30% to see the entire email. At that reduction the emails are barely readable. I tried different browsers and got the same results. I wanted to be sure that the problem as Earthlink before I complained.

Trying to get tech help is like pulling teeth. Everyone just passes the buck and no one has an answer or solution. Several calls to different reps got the same result. They need to resolve this new and "better" service quickly. I work from home and need to be able to see my emails and read the enclosures and attachments without having to do all the adjustment and "special handling" now required. Earthlink is expensive relative to the alternatives. They charge enough to do things right! Old Earthlink was great - new improved Earthlink not so much!

EarthLink response
    Michael, we’re so glad you’ve been with us for 20 years. We love to hear that!
    We’re sorry for the trouble you’ve been experiencing recently and for the inconvenience it caused. Thanks for sharing your feedback, we’ll certainly pass it on to our team.

Thank you very much for your business.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Their customer service is awful. My boyfriend tried to politely hang up to contact his own internet provider before confirming a deal and both a woman named Nicola and her manager were being super forceful and pushy, asking “why do you need to hang up if we’re offering you a good deal,” over and over and tried to talk to him about the video games he played for 5 minutes. Seems like a total scam.

EarthLink response

D — please allow us to apologize. We would like the opportunity to provide better assistance and turn your experience around, if you’re still interested. Please just let us know. You can always reach us at 866-383-3080 or visit earthlink.net/internet to sign up online. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Original review: April 30, 2021

When I signed up for service I clearly told the sales person I would only need the service approximately 6 months. The sales person told me clearly that if I moved out of their service area I would not be charged an early termination fee. They are now charging an early termination fee. Add to that spotty Internet that failed as often as it worked. What a miserable company. If you are thinking of using EarthLink, please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

EarthLink response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Jeff. Our goal is to be straightforward and clear in our communications with customers, but it appears we missed the mark here. We apologize. Please reach out if there is anything we can do to make your transition easier. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I paid a bill on time in January. Because of an error on their end my services were disconnected as though I hadn’t made a payment. I then was charged a $200 early termination fee, which I also paid. I was assured this would be refunded once they got the account straightened out. Long story short: a month has gone by, no one will return my calls, I have been told it is impossible for me to reach the escalation department directly and I just have to keep waiting for their calls, and despite all of the notes on this issue in my account they have disconnected my services again.

Meanwhile my children have had to miss school because of this because is still partially remote learning. I have zero faith in this company, in their legitimacy or business practices, or their customer service. I would never recommend them to anyone. Over the years I’ve had AT&T as well as Comcast. While they weren’t always the easiest to deal with, either of those companies far exceed the customer service of EarthLink. This company is absolutely horrible.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Yall have got some of the dumbest customer service reps I have ever had to deal with. I have had service with Earthlink for over 2 years and these idiots want to collect my money for the bill and then turn my service off 2 weeks later and when I call they tell me, "Yes we got your money and it was our mistake and we will turn your service back on within 24 hours." Well 2 weeks later I call because they are not turning it on. "Oh we need to verify your address. The same address you have had for over 2 years." Well they give me a new install date. I have argued with these people for over a month now. I just told them to cancel. I only rate them a 1 star because they don't have a zero button.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I've had the email service only, for two accounts, since the 1980's. It started as my dialup internet provider, then evolved to email only as I switched to cable internet provider. Because we are lazy and the fee was small, we kept the email service for a long time (years). They finally increased the monthly subscription fee to a threshold that prompted me to close the account. Took 5 tries: 1st - system problems, call back later; 2, 3, 4 attempts put on long hold with disconnect at the end; 5 - success but I had to aggressively insist that I not be put on hold. Customer Service sucked. Email service ok.

EarthLink Company Information