3.6/5 (532 ratings)

About EarthLink

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

Pros

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

EarthLink internet services

To get started with EarthLink, visit its website and enter some information on your internet usage habits and where you live. If EarthLink is available in your area, a representative will reach out to you.

EarthLink offers two customizable high-speed internet services for commercial and individual use: dial-up internet service and HyperLink, EarthLink’s premier internet service.

EarthLink has internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no throttling or data limits. The company also has comprehensive customer service with an online self-help portal, live online chat and 24/7 phone support.

Customers receive multiple perks when they sign up for internet services with EarthLink, including:

• Access to eight email addresses
  • 10 additional anonymous email addresses
  • Virus and spam detection and protection

EarthLink security

EarthLink’s security software, called EarthLink Protect, allows you to partner with NortonLifeLock to detect potential threats on your devices and protect your personal information. EarthLink Protect offers:

• Real-time protection against ransomware, viruses and malware
  • Dark web monitoring
  • Parental control add-ons

EarthLink internet prices

EarthLink doesn’t disclose much information about pricing on its website, but it does state that residential internet plans start at $49.95 a month. The cost of your internet service varies based on what speed you want and where you live. To get an accurate quote, call EarthLink’s customer service phone number for more detailed information.

EarthLink Protect, the company’s device security and online privacy software, has two levels of protection for different monthly costs: EarthLink Protect starts at $7.95 a month, and EarthLink Protect+ starts at $9.95 a month.

EarthLink FAQ

Where is EarthLink available?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose its geographic availability on its website, but the company partners with local internet service providers to offer service in most states. To find out if EarthLink is available in your city or state, visit its website and enter your address.
How much is EarthLink per month?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose comprehensive cost information on its website, but it does state that residential internet service plans start at $49.95 a month. For more detailed information on EarthLink’s prices, contact a company representative.
What type of internet is EarthLink?
EarthLink offers two different types of internet: dial-up and HyperLink.
Who is EarthLink owned by?
Trive Capital is EarthLink’s parent company. Trive Capital purchased EarthLink in 2019.

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I was not with internet service for a week, tried to reach their technical support. NOBODY answered the phone. They are partners with AT&T which provides the modem and the service. I got trapped in a endless menu loop. NOBODY answered the phone. In the end I canceled the service and they charged me 200 dollars for breach contract.

EarthLink response

Karla, we're sorry that you had trouble reaching our tech support team and for the frustration it caused. We do our best to be available to help our customers, but it appears we missed the mark. If you need assistance with anything else, please reach out at 888-327-8454 or earthlink.net/live-chat.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

My Experience has been horrible. I called 6 × 2 day. Got hung up on 5 times. That was put on hold for over 2 and a 1/2 hours and still have not talked to anyone. And I have asked you to speak to a supervisor feature every time and still have not been able to speak to one. This universe recommend Earthlink to anyone. Department customer service need to make over. About that the woman that I spoke to twice today was sharing my information with her colleagues. That is a company that is not to be trusted.

The Better Business Bureau said launch an investigation. Because I was told at 1st I owe $200. I'm doing a conversation with one of them all of a sudden they want to upgrade me. I did not receive any service and now they are trying to charge me. They went into my account And pull money without my authorization. Then I called them and told them about it. They never offered to reverse me. So I called the bank and the bank reimbursed me my money. So now earthlink terminated my account and wants me to pay $200. Is someone to launch an investigation on earthlink

EarthLink response

Kurtis, we apologize for your experience. We've sent you the number to our Executive Relations team in a direct message, they can take a look and see what they can do to help.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I signed up when I moved to try to avoid giving large corporations my business. I signed up for a middle plan of data, uploading a YouTube video took me 8 hours. I only have 3 devices, they told me to log my TV out every time I turn it off because I was using more data "than I bargained for." Which I don't think is even accurate but they don't provide the plan descriptions in their website so you have to just remember your original plan off hand I guess. I'm pretty sure they lowered the plan amount after I signed up. You have to call and have each receipt emailed to you because they're not available on your portal where you pay. Currently I've been on hold for 10-15 mins while someone cancels my service.

EarthLink response

We're sorry you experienced slower internet speeds than expected. If you'd like, our tech support team can troubleshoot and look into any possible causes for the slower speed. You can reach them at 888-327-8454 or earthlink.net/live-chat. Otherwise, we're very sorry to see you go. If you need anything further, just let us know.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Service is good much of the time, but ATT equipment has faltered and the service is not very good. It's slow, unreliable and not as cheap as it should be for the service you receive. It freezes often and I often get incomplete and slow loading web pages. It is just adequate.

EarthLink response

Thank you for your review, Raymond. We want to see if there's something we can do to improve the internet speed you're experiencing. If you'd like, please call our tech support team at 888-327-8454 (available 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM ET, 7 days a week), and they can help troubleshoot any issues.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Earthlink will block email accounts without notice to the customer depending on mysterious reasons. When you write to them or call them asking why it go through multiple customer service teams and then they will tell you any of these:

1. They don't know.

2. They ask you for your IP address, and then nothing.

3. You call again and they will say they blocked your email accounts because it seems you are in a different area than you normally are in (??!!)

4. Their system can't handle your email accounts if you block, filter, certain senders (like spam).

5. Their limit of data storage is so small that you are constantly deleting and clearing important emails. BUT you don't know that you are out of storage because the account doesn't show you are. EARTHLINK just blocks emails coming to you so you have NO idea what email you aren't getting.

6. Customer service is horrible. EARTHLINK has outsourced it to a foreign country, and this particular country is one of the worst outsource customer service countries. Besides the fact they read from a script, you can barely understand what they are saying, their attitude is if their script doesn't allow it, they just stonewall you OR they will hang up on you and you have to start the process all over again.

EarthLink response

Cal, we're sorry for the trouble you've experienced in WebMail and we'd like to help. We sent you a direct message with the contact info for our tier 3 support team — they can further assist in troubleshooting the issue.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The internet connection always fails. Netflix and Amazon are typically always slow when loading. The representatives are always answering the phone when they are not in the most appropriate setting ie: at parties or gatherings with loud music and or people in the background. Every time I call, I can count on always being on hold for no less than 20 minutes. If I knew better, I would have gone thru my cable provider instead of wasting my time on EarthLink. I am now on hold for the repetitive reason specified above, and it's been 29 minutes and counting...

EarthLink response

Anne, we're sorry for your experience when you contacted our customer support. We strive to assist each customer in a timely manner, but we fell short in this case and we apologize. Did you know that you can reach our support team on live chat too? If you'd like to try it out, just visit earthlink.net/live-chat and click the button to get started.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

New customer with Earthlink as of Friday 9/26 - took 2 techs one did 2 hrs other 4 hours to get everything working - services were on till Monday - boom off in the morning. Mind you I work from home. My son schools from home.... I had to call them & tell them, my internet was not working - response that the 2nd tech did not finish it - but yet no one told me. I flipped out telling them that I made it clear when I signed with earthlink that I need my services to work - and told them the same thing. Her response, "I am sorry sir." Over & over I hear the same thing, "Sorry sir" - date for the new tech to come to my home was set for 9/30. I made it clear I was not happy about it in a nice way (not true) and today got a text not a call that it was changed to 9/1 - I truly ** flipped out - I had to call them and yell and explain how truly angry I was about what they were doing - response, "I am sorry sir." Worst customer service & internet service period - d. **

EarthLink response

We apologize for the issues you've experienced with your service, Isaias. We strive to provide our customers with timely, effective support, but we really missed the mark here. We're sorry for the frustration this caused. If we can help you further with getting your internet up and running smoothly, please contact us at 888-327-8454.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

For the past week EarthLink has displayed the worst possible customer service I’ve ever witnessed from a reputable company. Me & my wife have been lied on, lied to, hung up on, and blatantly disrespected by multiple supervisors, & are issue is still not resolved.

EarthLink response

Allan, we're sorry for your experience and the frustration it caused! We'd like to make this right. We've sent you the contact info for our Executive Relations team in a private message. Please reach out there and we'll work to get your issue resolved.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

We wanted to upgrade to 50mbps. And they keep trying to install a new modem. Was told by both people that came out we don’t need one but customer service keeps trying to give a second WiFi!!! When all we want is a WiFi does upgrade!!! We have yet to have a WiFi upgraded. Instead they are trying to give us two WiFi bills. Which is **.

EarthLink response

Gabrielle, we're sorry for the trouble you experienced. We'd like to help — our customer support will be happy to take another look to make sure we're providing the best service options for you. If you'd like, give us a call at 888-327-8454 or chat with us at earthlink.net/live-chat.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Erratic issues with formatting, fonts, spell check not working at times and others. Recipients complaining. Any new contacts and domains added to the whitelist in my address book do not work any longer. Submitted feedback over a week on the issue and just recently noticed they went all missing, hundreds of them, over 20 years worth! I'm now concerned the same may happen with my thousands of emails. This is not acceptable for a service upwards of $10/month just for email.

EarthLink response

Greg, we understand your concerns and are sorry for the issues you’ve experienced with WebMail. We’d like to help — please contact our customer support team at 888-327-8454 or earthlink.net/live-chat.

EarthLink Company Information