Earthlink

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wish I didn't even have to give this company one star - they deserve zero stars. I absolutely dread any and all contact with them. I can echo many of the other complaints about their requirement of having payment taken out automatically by them. I was initially blindsided by this, believing it was a one time deal. Letting these people have direct access to your account is risky at best.

My current issue with them is trying to do a simple move. The initial phone call was 55 minutes, 12 seconds. This to do a move... providing an old address, giving them a new address, no other changes, simple stuff. So one would think. BTW the actual service call takes 10 business days even though they contract through AT&T, who reconnected my DirecTV in 2 days. I was told my new charge would be $39.99.

"What new charge?" I asked "$39.99 for service call then $39.99 for three months and then $65.00 from there on out?" "What do you mean... on top of what I already pay?? $78 a month." "No ma'am it's a promotion." "But I'm already a customer, why am I being given a new customer promotional price?" The majority of my explanation was done by a supervisor because I couldn't understand the representative and he didn't understand my questions. (Earthlink is based entirely out of India, sales and service.) 55 minutes later I was sort of comfortable my move was being scheduled. That was July 25.

On August 3rd I received a phone call saying my installation would be done on August 7th. The representative actually seemed to speak English well, so I took the opportunity to go over some of the details of my move I was confused about: did they still use AT&T because they changed the name of their service to Hyperlink. Yes, still AT&T and they would provide a new modem even though I brought the old one with me. And I would be billed $39.99 the next day (today). All is well, I thought.

Today, I checked my bank account and they took out $78 (my old rate), resulting in another hour+ on the phone with customer support. Come to find out, I now have TWO accounts with them. One at the old address and one at the new address. "Yes ma'am, it is your responsibility to close the old account. We opened a new account which is why you get the promotional price." "So if I wouldn't have called, you would've continued to charge me for my old account??" "Yes ma'am." (After talking to the supervisor I'm not sure that's true, but I'm also not sure it's not!)

So after expressing my displeasure profusely, they agreed to refund the $78, which will take up to 10 days. Then on the 7th, I will be charged for the new service, which after they add their fees, should be about $50. So they will have taken about $130 out of my account and I have to wait for the refund, which I just have to trust, will be done correctly. There is no way to do business with these people without giving them free access to your account. I would not recommend EARTHLINK to my worst enemy. And, oh by the way, you have to sign a contract with them.

I had called Earthlink for service. It was only after I gave my bank account information was I told, that I could not use my phone at the same time. I immediately told them I did not want their service. I am 60 years old and live alone, with a disability. I contacted Earthlink several times, telling them to stop taking money out of my account. I was IGNORED. I changed banks, then the harassing phone calls started - 27 calls in 7 days. I will NEVER recommend this company, never use them nor will I ever buy stock. They are deceitful and resort to harassment. I was informed by them they were going to send my account to collection, for services that I NEVER have used.

I ordered online service on 7/11/17. I authorized a one time payment. I gave consent for one amount to be debited from my card yet they decided to withdraw a different amount. As soon as I realized it, I demanded to end our business relationship and demanded them to reverse the payment. This was all happening in the initial conversation. They advised me they only have the ability to take payments NOT the ability to refund. After 2 hours of arguing my call was ended. During this horrible call I was told a technician would come out to my house for installation. I'm still waiting for the appointment. Come to find out, I reached out to Earthlink today. They advised me I have to wait for Verizon to cancel my service before they can set up installation. HELLO!!! Here goes another argument.

If I had Verizon online services why would I order a downgrade service! The most irritating part is I'm connected to India. Let's just say "common sense is not so common". Every time I mention refund the call is "transferred". Long story short the call is disconnected each time. Out of the blue today I had an Indian call me. I asked to speak with an American. The call was passed around to only Indian representatives. He said he's calling from the IRS and they issued a federal warrant for my arrest.

He advised an $8000.00 payment would stop all legal action. Call it a coincidence but I'm pretty sure Earthlink is responsible for the trickery. I'm just thrilled it's an easy fix. Cancel my card and move on! I would NOT advise anyone to waste their time with this foolish company. Unfortunately, I'll take the loss before I provide them any of my new banking information for a refund. (I wonder how many times they've gotten away with this trick)

In early May we called Dish to ask about the internet they offer on TV. We already use them, so we trusted them! They gave a quick rundown of a special for $30 per month and arranged to connect us with Earthlink right away. Right from the start the internet kept shutting down 15-20 times a day for 5-15 minute intervals. We had just moved and I work full time, so I didn't have the time or energy to deal with it. We gave a one time debit card for installation only and they have been illegally charging without permission ever since. Now that the 60 days have passed, they took their money the first week of July, and the VERY NEXT DAY our internet only worked for 6 hours a day from 11 am to 5 pm everyday.

After over an hour on the phone, India says they will send an AT&T TECH out to fix on Saturday between 1-4 pm, the tech never shows. Now they say tomorrow, Tuesday 7/11/17. Now considering all of the HORRIFYING reviews I'm reading, how are they still continuing to get away with this? How is our internet shutting off from precisely 5 pm to 11 am the next morning an outside technical issue!!! This company has got to be scammers and yet they are still allowed to exist!! I trusted Dish and they connected us straight to being ripped off by they devil!! I can't afford their so called cancellation contract fees, nor can my daughter afford not to have internet for her school work in evenings!! Please help us and society shut these people down!

Was without internet service for over three weeks. Finally sent a new modem which they told me would be no charge. They also said they would credit me with a month's service... all was a lie. They also charged me for shipping, Norton security and other items. It is aggravating also that you talk to people from India who don't speak English and they put you on hold forever. NEVER use this service. One of the most dishonest group of people I have done business with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Poor service/overcharging - When I sign in for 19.99 a month no contracts. Sounds good and first month went to 24.99, I say ok. 3 months later is 50.33 and I called and some Asian person tell me to cancel the service I need to pay a termination fee.

I requested a new service about a month ago and still don't have service. They lied about everything. They lied about the monthly charge. They lied about how long it's going to take for installation. They lied about activation charge. They lied about everything. After almost 4 weeks I still don't have service. This is the worst service I faced in my 37 years in the USA. If I could give them negative 100 rating I would but you don't have that option. I will check with a lawyer to see how I can be compensated for all the suffering.

I'm locked into a 2 year contract with them because of my cable provider. The first month I had no service at all but was billed twice. Found out the lines in the house didn't run after 2 weeks of talking to people in India and finally got someone in America to call. They sent a tech to check the outside lines. Lines outside were perfect. Did that circle 3 times until the phone company told me that EarthLink had to fix the lines because they were the customer not me. Of course they did nothing. Ended up running a line from the 911 access on the phone box.

For the last 9 months been dealing with service working on average 4 hours a day and once a month a week with no service. Can't get my money back, they won't fix the lines and I keep getting generic answers and hour hold times just to get nowhere. By far the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with although they advertise US based impossible to call someone in the US. Do yourself a favor and never get their service. You'll just pay for something that never works at ridiculous prices. Worst company ever!

We were Deltacom customers for years and Earthlink acquired the company several years ago. About a year ago, we started have issues with our internet service and with the phone system not functioning properly. We were told to renew a contract, replace our brand new card machine, update our phone system and all problems would be resolved. After numerous calls and many hours trying to get customer service to repair our problems, I made the decision to switch to AT&T. As a small business owner, we cannot function without our phones and since our change, we have not experienced any issues. Now, Earthlink has mailed a bill for $9717.15 and it appears that I will have to secure an attorney to defend our company. I have never experienced any company that operates in this manner.

Due to moving and not being able to use EarthLink at my new address I had to cancel my internet, that was cancelled on 4/18/2017. They had taken my payment out of my account on 5/20. After nearly an hour while I was on the phone with the company... Someone else was calling me leaving a message telling me they will only reimburse me $24 due to cancelling 43 days of an early termination. It didn't makes much sense to me since I had their internet just shy of 3 years. If you cancel just change your bank card number... Save yourself time... Energy... Frustration...

Company email took a dump. Apparently our email service, EarthLink, provider decided we needed to re-register our domain name and shut everything down. I was frustrated with their overseas tech support and the lack of email was hurting our bottom line but managed to get everything back on after a few hours of phone time. The people I was dealing with in India (?) told me they needed my name, a contact number for me and a different email address for me since the company email was down until they restored service which I provided.

Strangely the next day I started getting spam emails, texts and even phone calls from Indian tech companies. Some might call it coincidence but when I re-registered the domain name, I put it in my bosses name. Guess what? All of the communications were addressed to my boss. EarthLink claims they don't sell customer information, but then how did they find out my cell number, bosses name and place of employment? Especially since my information listed on my Facebook account etc is all bogus. EarthLink tells me that this is a "serious accusation" but repeated calls to corporate, tech support, their Facebook page etc have been brushed aside and I'm pissed.

I have been with Earthlink since 2014. My service was cut off for non-payment. But I called and had it turned back on. They told me they have to give me basically a dial-up service for 14.99 because of my DSL was turned off. DSL is not good, it's slow very slow. And now they want to give something slower. Not right.

We have tried cancelling our email service since last December. Have email, have called, have received a credit only to keep being called for payment on service we haven't used in over 2 years. We were guaranteed on a call in February it would be credited and cancelled. Instead we have received harassing phone calls regarding a $16.00 some odd balance that they did not write off as promised and continued the service until today when we told them to just "come get us" for payment. Really Earthlink? TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO PROMISES KEPT. I would NEVER use this company again.

Long, long wait times for customer service which you need because of their ongoing technical issues. Customer service does not listen but rather gives "template" responses. Clunky administrative processes and policies just add additional time burdens to customers. I understand the occasional hiccup but how you respond matters. Requested a small refund on fees due to poor service and functionality. No go so they have lost a customer. Empower your people to make simple decisions. It costs more to find a new customer than retain one.

I know this is hopeless, but I am SICK of calling "Customer Service" and then spend most of the conversation saying "what was that?" or "come again?". There should be some law that requires representatives have the ability to pronounce and communicate in English. Four phone calls; all difficult to understand, asking different questions or information requests. On my end someone else had to finally take over as she could tell I was about to go into cardiac arrest over frustration. Somehow she was finally able to cancel the service. Good riddance, Earthlink!!!

Just off phone with Earthlink - India customer service, as reviewed by others. :( My Earthlink email account, after 15+ years suddenly was closed. I call, get India, and am told Comcast and Earthlink no longer have a provider agreement, so I must now pay for my Earthlink email access, never mind Comcast is still getting the monthly internet service charge. She tells me I was notified of the change, I say I did not see the notification. Never mind, I cannot have a month or two of email service to access my account and make adjustments/changes to plan for the loss of this email. Earthlink wants my money each month, so screw the customer who has been with them 15, maybe 20 years.

I signed up for service, paid the installation fee. They just turned on my service 3/21 (today is 3/24). I got a bill in my email Thursday, says to pay my account on the due date. Today I check my bank account and they withdrew the bill from my bank account without my consent. Called customer service (foreigner). Kept getting told they will withdraw the money on the 22nd of the month. This unauthorized withdrawal will cause my car insurance to lapse. Took 20 minutes repeating myself to try to speak to a supervisor. After repeating myself about the unauthorized withdrawal a few times he finally agreed to refund the money, but it will take 10 calendar days. Not in enough time to cover my insurance bill. Any more ** like this and they will lose a customer. BEWARE THEY WILL WITHDRAW THE BILL MONEY FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT TELLING YOU THAT THEY DO THIS.

Oh my God - Only sign up for Earthlink if you want to spend the rest of your life on hold with India while getting charged for everything under the sun, while they take money directly from your bank account for no good reason. BEWARE!

For two years I have used them. First they told me I will high speed internet but needed a landline. Why would I need that if it's 'not suppose to be a dial up'? Then after months of using their service, my internet keeps going in and out. I keep calling and it takes hours! This last time, it goes out and they said my modem is completely down because it's an old model and I need to order a new one. I placed the order to 'rent' after they told me it can't be used with another provider if I ever leave EarthLink (why would I purchase anything from them?). I completed the rent agreement and he apologized about my internet not working. I told him I'm in school and in the middle of finals week and need to submit a paper. I sent to bed highly upset! I just woke up and my internet is working. I think they prey on those who hasn't changed over to this new modem. Now I have a new bill for a modem. This is crazy! I need to look for another provider and fast.

I signed up for the service and was guaranteed service within 24 to 48 hours. They took the money out of my account and I quit looking for another service. I called back after 4 days and they told me the same thing 24 to 48 hours. I called back the next day and was told the same thing. The 6th day I called them and after 45 minutes on the phone I was told they could not provide the service in my area. I spent approx 2-1/2 hours total on the phone with them for nothing.

I was told installation would be done BEFORE Christmas and now they are telling me it won't be until next year. 2 weeks just for installation? It didn't take 2 weeks to take the money out of my account. I will make sure to let everyone I know to NEVER get service with you. This is horrible. The worst customer service I have ever experienced! I've been on the phone for 2 hours and still nothing has been done. No one knows what to do! 2 HOURS. 2 different customer service agents, 1 "supervisor", 1 installation tech and STILL NOTHING. As a matter of fact instead of fixing my service. They cancel my service and then told me I would have to pay ANOTHER deposit and wait another week for "processing". WTH??? Isn't this an American company? Why am I talking to people in India that have no clue how to help me get service in America; THAT I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR!!!

Earthlink, the provider for KFC in Magna Utah. I have been assigned to the Refinery/Smelter for Kennecott in Magna for over 2 years now. Not once, EVER, has Earthlink's WiFi in the restaurant worked. If you connect, and it will connect, you can do nothing. You can't go to the 'lightest' website, that is one that is only text, no images. It will not connect. The manager there tells me that their customer service shouldn't be considered CS at all. They are almost impossible to contact and when you do, there is no resolution to the issue. No one from the company ever got back to them, not even once. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DON'T CONSIDER USING EARTHLINK FOR ANYTHING.

Have been with Earthlink for many years. I understand that it happens and in this day and age, many large companies have glitches. However, it would be nice of the company (Earthlink) to at least send an apology email when things go wrong. Owning a business and having the email system go down is an unnecessary stress and potential loss of revenue. A simple apology goes a long way. We, the subscribers keep you going Earthlink - so do the right thing and treat your customers like human beings.

Have been a user of Earthlink (they acquired Mindspring) for nearly 20 years, and have finally moved on to Microsoft 365 and godaddy... forever. Only 30 days until I dump my mindspring emails. I was caught up in the email company name idea for years, but now through their never-ending horrible service, highlighted by no service for the past 5 hours. Whoever heard of a business in the technology service industry shutting their server down and no access to anyone by phone. Refunds in order, but no way to contact. If one ever does connect with them the phones are answered in India. And the first question asked is to fill out the survey following the call. Weird indeed.

I've been with Earthlink since 2011 and they are terrible. I had Net-zero before for dial up before the switch and I live in a rural area, so they were the best option at the time. The modems they give you suck. Found that out after a year using them and started to buy my own. Had less connection issues meaning I haven't had to call them for the BS troubleshooting steps they give you. (And already know.) Now when you do the troubleshooting yourself and still can't connect, that's the down fall.

You call their "IT support" and they feed you the same bull that you ALREADY done. You'll have to keep calling or keep talking to them until they figure out it could be a damn outage on their side so they can fix it. I recently tried to reactivate my service with them because the other service I went to was so slow. They suppose to give you 30 days to reactivate. Nooooo, I did reactivate it my service and it was on my account. Even talk to 5 different people saying my port was still connected.

But for some pure dumb a** reason they feed me I lost my connection and was still getting charge for it. Then one of their reps got my address wrong and tried to set me up with cable internet. Shoot, I wish. Told her that I don't think that's right because I don't live in the city limits. So I just cancel the crap and kept my email account until I can check through all my email before I cancel that crap too. I'm going to see if I can get cellular broadband and I really don't want satellite internet. (That's even worst if you game or download.) Earthlink was nothing but a pain.

Today, 11-10-2016, tried calling to report that one of my phone lines is out, and again, all calls lead to India. All I get in return is calls back about ticket numbers instead of fixing my phone line. I made a huge mistake by signing a contract with these people. Don't make the same mistake I did. Run far away. The first owner set up this account and that is why we have done business with them for over 11 years. I tried turning just one line off and they will force me to pay the entire contract out. They don't care at all they we have been a loyal customer. Not at all. They don't even have an office in our town. I asked for a phone number for an actual employee or an number to an office in America and nothing.

Said there isn't any. Their internet speed is terrible. Took 2 hours to download 256.65 mb. It's 1 mb. Horrible. But, it's the horrible customer service that makes it the worst. I'm counting the days till my contract runs out and it will be one of the happiest days of my life when I can call and close out our account. I never want to hear back from EarthLink again. It's unethical to force payment on one line when one line doesn't work anymore. So, I'm paying for 2 lines that are useless. Don't use these people. They charge way too high!!! Everything is done from a "remote" location. You will regret it. Haven't seen an actual employee in over 7 years. The internet constantly goes out. So slow. Run.

I used EarthLink prior to 8/1/05 for dial-up service. On 8/1/05 I ordered a DSL modem, as dial-up was no longer needed. I was never asked if I wanted to keep the dial-up. I figured it would end when I started DSL. Seems I have been charged for both from 8/05 to 10/16 = over $2,800. It was an automatic deduct on my card and it never hit me, that I was being double charged until my wife called. Overseas customer service kept telling her the 21.95 (which was the dial-up fee) was just internet service. She kept pushing what exactly it was for... finally told it was for dial-up. She cancelled it. They offered us 2 month refund and we refused. Went to BBB in Atlanta with complaint and was able to get a 1 year refund but EarthLink came back and stated some people STILL keep dial-up along with DSL, as a backup. This is total bull. You don't need dial-up if you have DSL.

We are senior citizens and feel extremely taken advantage of!! There was nothing on our charge statement stating WHAT the charges were; just their name, phone, Ga., and Internet Service. For all this time, I had thought it was just "Internet" fees, until my wife noticed it. Yes, I should have noticed it sooner but I just pay the bills and honestly thought it was just for the one service. So BBB has closed the case. We would like to pursue this further, but need help!! As seniors, we could use the money that they took from us. How many others are they double charging?

I have been an Earthlink customer for years. For the last few years, I have been trying to get them to upgrade my DSL service to something faster than the 1mb service I have had for the last 10 years. They tell me the that I already have the fastest service available in my area. The local phone company, whose network Earthlink uses, now offers up to 7 mb service, which means the lines are conditioned for data speeds up to that rate. For some reason, Earthlink can't seem to figure out how to provide faster service. How, in this day and age, can a company claim they offer fast internet service when the best they can do is 1mb?

Went down first time on 9/30/16. STAYED down until 10/4. Actually THROUGH 10/4. When it came back up, I was charitable enough to give them a second chance. After all, stuff happens. Earthlink then went down AGAIN on 10/14. It is STILL down. Both times (10 days total without ANY email or WWW access) I tried to get tech support and instead got a robo-voice stating that "due to the heavy volume of calls... bla-bla-bla" basically call back later or better yet not at all. Finally the AT&T tech came out today to give me a new Internet access/email address. After notifying everyone and answering the backed-up emails, I plan to let Earthlink know that IT'S FIRED! EARTHLINK SUCKS!!!

Omg worst decision of my life!!! AT&T referred me to Earthlink and it was a draining experience. I would say it's a scam of internet. I've been waiting for 3 weeks now for them to install my internet. I gave a deposit $25 and try to get a refund. They are only giving me 19 dollars back. What a scam, that's if they even give me that supposedly it takes up to 10 days to transfer to my card. Yeah right, I should just say good bye to those 25 dollars. They gave me the runaround for 3 weeks saying they will give me a call back for an installation appointment. I really recommend to not chose this SCAM OF INTERNET.

Compare Internet Service Providers