Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Earthlink Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

There are few choices when looking for an internet provider as I live in a rural area. I called Earthlink and got service installed on 04/08/19 because they promised me an internet speed of 24 mbps which is why I was paying $67.39 (including taxes) monthly. They sent a technician out to install the DSL line and I discovered that they are using AT&T technicians. I previously disconnected service with AT&T because the internet was very slow. The Earthlink rep. told me on 04/08/19 that they contract with AT&T. Once the technician came and set the internet up he said that the DSL lines really belong to AT&T and they sell service to Earthlink which in turn sells service to customers.

Since the 4/08/19 installation I NEVER received any speeds even close to 24 mbps which I was being charged and paying for every month. I was appalled by the extremely slow internet speed for the entire time that I was with Earthlink. Sometimes the internet would stop working completely and I would have to reset the internet modem then it would seem to work but extremely slow. On 12/24/19 the internet stopped working again. I called Earthlink and they scheduled an AT&T technician to come to fix the service on 12/27/19. The AT&T tech changed out the modem and he told us that the closest AT&T box from our house is 1.2 miles away and that we will never receive 24 mbps from that distance away. He said the absolute most speed that we would receive is 6 mbps.

I asked them then why is Earthlink charging us $67.39 a month for a service that they know they cannot deliver to my household. The tech. said that he works for AT&T and I would need to call Earthlink to discuss that matter. When he left the internet was working but we were getting speeds between 5-6 mbps. I called Earthlink customer service and asked them why did they tell me they can deliver 24 mbps to my house which is what I am paying for all this time when they can only give me 6 mbps or less. The rep. said that they can adjust my bill to take $10 off a month for instead of charging 59.99 for 24 mbps they will charge me $49.99 for 6 mbps. I said well what about the last 9 months that I have been overpaying for internet service that Earthlink could not provide. I said these are fraudulent charges.

The rep. said he will speak to his supervisor and after about 3 minutes came back on the line and said that Earthlink will give me next month's service for free and won't charge me for January 2020 service. I said, "So technically you are only saving me $50 plus the tax," and the rep said that is the best that Earthlink can do. Later that night the internet stopped working again, so the next day on 12/28/19 I called Earthlink again and told them the internet is not working, so the scheduled another tech to some on 12/30/19 and this tech did not show up and no one called or informed us that the tech was not coming at the scheduled time.

They got a tech. to finally show up the next day on 12/30/19. He said the same thing that the previous tech said, that the house is too far away from the main box. He checked the lines outside and said it is now working and left. Later that evening the internet stopped working again. I again made another call. Earthlink scheduled a tech to come out on 1/02/20, this time the tech discovered the problem. My computer was updating Windows 10 and pulling all the internet speed. The tech said we will never receive any speed faster than 6 mbps and suggested satellite internet instead of DSL. I canceled Earthlink on 01/09/20 and went to a satellite ISP and am much satisfied with the internet service. Earthlink is trying to charge me $150.00 as they are saying I canceled service with them before 12 months, and that I am not allowed to cancel prior to April 2020.

I wrote their EVP of Customer Experience Jennifer Spindel and sent her a certified letter stating my problem with Earthlink and they are not justified in trying to charge me $150 for internet service that does not work half the time and is slow when it is working. I told the customer rep. who identified himself as Alan that I will not be paying $150, then he said he will put me in collections. I then said these bullying tactics will not work with me. Since 01/09/20 I have been getting a minimum of 5 calls a day from 1-866-516-3885 with an automated message saying, "Please go online to make a payment on your account." They resort to repeated harassing phone calls on people who cancel their service because they promise internet speeds they cannot deliver on.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

DO NOT GET THIS INTERNET SERVICE! Do not waste your money nor time by calling customer service! They are clueless! It has to be the worst service I have ever had. It Freezes and states no internet service constantly. It could take up to 4 Hours to watch a 2 hr movie due to the freezing. Sometimes the freezing last up to 15 minutes.When I called in to complain they said I need higher speed. I increased speed but had to pay $10.00 more a month. Now my bill is $70.00 and speed is STILL EXTREMELY SLOW. This is the only company in my area for internet service with Dish. The issue is not with Dish. It's with EARTHLINK! I'M going to cancel Dish even though I'm on a contract. Sorry I'm leaving Dish due to Earthlink's inability. They are taking advantage of consumers!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I recently moved in a new home & contacted Earthlink for internet service. I paid an install fee & was given a date to expect the technician. On my scheduled date, I was told he was on the way every hour & around 5PM EST, I contacted them to ask why hadn’t he showed and was finally told he never got my work order and that it would be a week before someone could come out to my home. My BIGGEST issue was I was lied to throughout the day & wasn’t told the truth. I was also transferred numerous times & on hold for an hour to request a refund for installation fee. This company is probably the worst I’ve ever had to deal with in regards to utility service. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have been a customer for 21 years. I had my credit card stolen and it’s happened before that the bill gets declined and I try to connect and realize what has happened. I have to change my card on file. In the past when this has happened 21 years of emails are always back up. Not this time. EarthLink says they are all gone. They are wrong for what they did and they know it. They basically said get lawyer. I said why did you have me pay for the past due bill if there are no emails in the storage? Why does my email say 3100 megabytes used but there are no emails? This has to be rectified NOW!!! I am going to all social media with this story and I want my emails NOW!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I have been with Earthlink for years and do not understand what is happening with this company. My email does not load, my password is not recognized even as it has been the same for years. Customer service cannot correct any problems but suggests using a different server to access my account. I am trying Gmail and it works, unlike Earthlink. All of the complaints noted by other customers is right, Earthlink does not provide a service that works. I hope that the managers are reading all the complaint comments and respond.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Do not get this internet services. It has to be the worst service I have ever had. It just freezes and states no internet service. When I called in to complain I always get a person I can hardly understand and they really get offended if you ask for someone else. Last time I called in the Technical department told me my computer was too old. Funny I have a new service now and I have not been frozen once. If you get this service you will have problems and it is not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

The worst company to ever call if you want internet! Unless you want your money wasted then they are perfect for you. I repeat. This is a horrible company with no respect for the consumer. I tried my best to work with them but they just made everything impossible except when they took my money. That seemed to work perfectly but once they had my money everything went bad as if they just forgot about me and my installation.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

We have spent HOURS on the phone just trying to change the password on our account. People in India or Bangladesh, or wherever are never able to help but keep you on the line for hours - literally. Then they say it's after hours so you have to call back another day!!!! Really!!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Currently on hold for a half hour, and counting...just to see what what packages are available in my area. Was looking to switch providers, but if this is what they offer me right off the bat, then no thanks. How are they even still in business...

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Sign up with this company. Paid installation fee. Havent been with them 2 weeks they drafted money out of my account which I asked them not to. Charge me for the whole month of November and I haven't been with them 2 weeks! Bad company to deal with! Stay away! Looking for another company asap!

Not sure about Earthlink?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Internet Service Provider for you.

Earthlink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company has seen many changes in the ISP market over the past two decades. It was one of the leaders when dial-up was the fastest speed on the market. Today, dial-up remains the only option in many parts of the United States, and Earthlink offers unlimited access from anywhere in the nation.

• Low price: The dial-up service from Earthlink is about the lowest-priced ISP on the market today. Even its higher speed options are less expensive than the large providers.

• Satellite ISP: Even when there is no DSL or cable available in a region, Earthlink allows customers to get online using HughesNet Satellite connections.

• New services: Managed services for business and cloud provisioning are two areas where Earthlink is expanding to help small businesses compete on the global market.

• Best for: Small businesses and families who are outside cable and DSL coverage areas.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team