EarthLink

EarthLink
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

BOTTOM LINE

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

PROS

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

CONS

• Not available in every state

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Spectrum sent an email and then a letter informing me their contract with Earthlink expired 10/31/2020 and my email needed to change. NOT gonna happen! So I dropped the Spectrum modem off to them and signed up for Earthlink Hyperlink. Keeping my emails, one of which dated back to 1996. Speed is better. Price is comparable. Granted, it uses AT&T backbone over copper, but I am pleased with its performance. It figures we'd be forced to act on internet during Covid. Thanks so much Spectrum. Grateful for Earthlink responsiveness.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have read a lot of negative reviews about Earthlink. My experience is different. I first discovered Earthlink when I was working for Time Warner Cable (Spectrum). I did an installation for the cable company at the customer's house. The installation was good and the customer was happy when I left her with a fully functional Internet service. Yes Earthlink contracts with local ISP's like Spectrum and AT&T to install Internet service on the ISP's network. That's not a problem because for some reason the Internet service costs less when you go through Earthlink to get it. Any installation problems that you have are therefore caused by the ISP (Spectrum or AT&T) technician, not Earthlink. I purchased Hyperlink 50Mbit Internet service from Earthlink. A AT&T technician did the installation. My new Internet service is riding on the AT&T fiber network in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I am very pleased with the new service and price.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2020

We switched to EarthLink about two years ago, and it has been such an effortless experience. We called, they helped us determine the right plan, the installer showed up when they said they would, and we haven't had to think about it much since. We also have email with them, and I love knowing it's secure, unlike Gmail or Yahoo. All around, great, easy experience.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

The sales rep did not mention that I need a LAN port in order to use the device. I assumed it had a coax connection, as most modems do. They wasted my time & money, paid an unrefundable $40 for expedited shipping for no reason. This company had potential to be very good, except for their sneaky sales reps trying to reach their quotas.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

After homelessness for about 10 months I relocated back to Jacksonville FL. As a Veteran it was difficult losing everything but not my faith. I had recently moved from another complex that offered their own internet service. I decided to try out EarthLink & it was the most horrific experience. It appears the reps aren’t US based & that’s a major issue. I moved into a bigger unit just before Christmas. EarthLink wasn’t able to complete my order prior to Christmas or the weekend. I had to use my mobile hotspot just to have some tv services. EarthLink had me scheduled that Monday to install the new service. I waited but no technician showed up.

I called their customer service only to get horrible customer service. I requested to cancel my service & reached out to customer service. I explained my issues to the agent but was advised if cancelled they would hit me for a $200 cancellation fee. I didn’t feel that was fair especially that it was their error. I will never use this service again!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have been an Earthlink user for years, even back when they were dial-up, Mindspring, Sprynet etc. After sharing their cable with Spectrum, they announced that they were severing that relationship, I elected to go with their "hyperlink" service. Installation was done by Frontier, and they supplied the modem. Now, I HAVE TO REBOOT THE MODEM EVERY DAY. Not happy with this frustration. This means that some time every night the service shuts down and automatic updates from Microsoft Windows have to wait until booting up. Not to mention the inconvenience.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I live out of state and wanted to start up DSL internet service at our new property in Vail AZ. Purchased a DSL modem from EarthLink for $200, which appears to be dead. It has a warranty... But they wouldn't replace it without attempting to do some trouble-shooting first (a reasonable request....). But despite spending multiple HOURS on-line listening to recordings saying how sorry they were that we were on hold for so long, and how much our business meant to them... we never could get anyone to talk to to set up the troubleshooting session that THEY requested (the one time we actually DID get a person to talk to). Enough is enough. Basically this outfit has no functional tech support, as near as I can tell.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

There is no "worst" for this company, they hired a huge customer support team from India and South Africa to so-called "support you". But in reality, they are just buying the internet bandwidth from AT&T, it's like a reseller branded as a "internet service provider". They don't own anything, any infrastructure except for customer support. The customer support also call AT&T technical support to support them. So if any problems, they can't solve it at all from the "EarthLink" end, horrible right?

No, not yet. The worst is their agents lie about speeds, when you sign up, they will tell you your speed is 50-1000 at least. but mine is 23MB max. not even close to 50. Bad enough? Not yet. They set up a contract of 12month to lure you in, so you'll find out they suck, of course they know they suck, so they will collect your $200 early cancelling fee. Worst enough? NOT YET. Their agents won't even bother to save you as a client. They will cancel for you immediately if you request because they know they'll collect the $200 fee anyway, plus, they don't really have a company company, it's just bunch of telephone marketers. Choose them, you'll either regret or regert more.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Don't use this company. They never installed the equipment. I was charged installation, and monthly since. Yesterday they took 259.00 out of my account! I don't have Earthlink! I have called repeatedly.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Okay so let me start off by saying I NEVER leave reviews but this place is something else. Recently my wifi went out and I just thought it was no big deal so I decided to call them. So I go to call them and to start off it’s a person that can barely speak proper English, so I just hung up and called again. However I once again got someone that wasn’t very fluent in the english department. Anyways I was talking to these people and they said my internet services were suspended because I didn’t update my card because it was recently found fraudulent. So I was like “oh silly me haha” and I was hoping to resolve this issue in the following day at least, but nope. They said my services would be restored within one business day.

The next day following I still noticed that it wasn’t working so I decided to wait and see if it would come on but it never did. I then called them again to inform them of this and they CLEARLY told me that my internet would be on that following night which happened to be yesterday and also a Friday. So I wake up this morning and realize that 1.) They lied to me 2.) WHAT KIND OF INTERNET COMPANY IS CLOSED ON THE WEEKENDS. So in conclusion I haven’t had internet in 2 whole days and I have to wait until Monday to even talk to these people again.

EarthLink Company Information