Earthlink

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm locked into a 2 year contract with them because of my cable provider. The first month I had no service at all but was billed twice. Found out the lines in the house didn't run after 2 weeks of talking to people in India and finally got someone in America to call. They sent a tech to check the outside lines. Lines outside were perfect. Did that circle 3 times until the phone company told me that EarthLink had to fix the lines because they were the customer not me. Of course they did nothing. Ended up running a line from the 911 access on the phone box.

For the last 9 months been dealing with service working on average 4 hours a day and once a month a week with no service. Can't get my money back, they won't fix the lines and I keep getting generic answers and hour hold times just to get nowhere. By far the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with although they advertise US based impossible to call someone in the US. Do yourself a favor and never get their service. You'll just pay for something that never works at ridiculous prices. Worst company ever!

We were Deltacom customers for years and Earthlink acquired the company several years ago. About a year ago, we started have issues with our internet service and with the phone system not functioning properly. We were told to renew a contract, replace our brand new card machine, update our phone system and all problems would be resolved. After numerous calls and many hours trying to get customer service to repair our problems, I made the decision to switch to AT&T. As a small business owner, we cannot function without our phones and since our change, we have not experienced any issues. Now, Earthlink has mailed a bill for $9717.15 and it appears that I will have to secure an attorney to defend our company. I have never experienced any company that operates in this manner.

Due to moving and not being able to use EarthLink at my new address I had to cancel my internet, that was cancelled on 4/18/2017. They had taken my payment out of my account on 5/20. After nearly an hour while I was on the phone with the company... Someone else was calling me leaving a message telling me they will only reimburse me $24 due to cancelling 43 days of an early termination. It didn't makes much sense to me since I had their internet just shy of 3 years. If you cancel just change your bank card number... Save yourself time... Energy... Frustration...

Company email took a dump. Apparently our email service, EarthLink, provider decided we needed to re-register our domain name and shut everything down. I was frustrated with their overseas tech support and the lack of email was hurting our bottom line but managed to get everything back on after a few hours of phone time. The people I was dealing with in India (?) told me they needed my name, a contact number for me and a different email address for me since the company email was down until they restored service which I provided.

Strangely the next day I started getting spam emails, texts and even phone calls from Indian tech companies. Some might call it coincidence but when I re-registered the domain name, I put it in my bosses name. Guess what? All of the communications were addressed to my boss. EarthLink claims they don't sell customer information, but then how did they find out my cell number, bosses name and place of employment? Especially since my information listed on my Facebook account etc is all bogus. EarthLink tells me that this is a "serious accusation" but repeated calls to corporate, tech support, their Facebook page etc have been brushed aside and I'm pissed.

I have been with Earthlink since 2014. My service was cut off for non-payment. But I called and had it turned back on. They told me they have to give me basically a dial-up service for 14.99 because of my DSL was turned off. DSL is not good, it's slow very slow. And now they want to give something slower. Not right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

We have tried cancelling our email service since last December. Have email, have called, have received a credit only to keep being called for payment on service we haven't used in over 2 years. We were guaranteed on a call in February it would be credited and cancelled. Instead we have received harassing phone calls regarding a $16.00 some odd balance that they did not write off as promised and continued the service until today when we told them to just "come get us" for payment. Really Earthlink? TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO PROMISES KEPT. I would NEVER use this company again.

Long, long wait times for customer service which you need because of their ongoing technical issues. Customer service does not listen but rather gives "template" responses. Clunky administrative processes and policies just add additional time burdens to customers. I understand the occasional hiccup but how you respond matters. Requested a small refund on fees due to poor service and functionality. No go so they have lost a customer. Empower your people to make simple decisions. It costs more to find a new customer than retain one.

I know this is hopeless, but I am SICK of calling "Customer Service" and then spend most of the conversation saying "what was that?" or "come again?". There should be some law that requires representatives have the ability to pronounce and communicate in English. Four phone calls; all difficult to understand, asking different questions or information requests. On my end someone else had to finally take over as she could tell I was about to go into cardiac arrest over frustration. Somehow she was finally able to cancel the service. Good riddance, Earthlink!!!

Just off phone with Earthlink - India customer service, as reviewed by others. :( My Earthlink email account, after 15+ years suddenly was closed. I call, get India, and am told Comcast and Earthlink no longer have a provider agreement, so I must now pay for my Earthlink email access, never mind Comcast is still getting the monthly internet service charge. She tells me I was notified of the change, I say I did not see the notification. Never mind, I cannot have a month or two of email service to access my account and make adjustments/changes to plan for the loss of this email. Earthlink wants my money each month, so screw the customer who has been with them 15, maybe 20 years.

I signed up for service, paid the installation fee. They just turned on my service 3/21 (today is 3/24). I got a bill in my email Thursday, says to pay my account on the due date. Today I check my bank account and they withdrew the bill from my bank account without my consent. Called customer service (foreigner). Kept getting told they will withdraw the money on the 22nd of the month. This unauthorized withdrawal will cause my car insurance to lapse. Took 20 minutes repeating myself to try to speak to a supervisor. After repeating myself about the unauthorized withdrawal a few times he finally agreed to refund the money, but it will take 10 calendar days. Not in enough time to cover my insurance bill. Any more ** like this and they will lose a customer. BEWARE THEY WILL WITHDRAW THE BILL MONEY FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT WITHOUT TELLING YOU THAT THEY DO THIS.

Oh my God - Only sign up for Earthlink if you want to spend the rest of your life on hold with India while getting charged for everything under the sun, while they take money directly from your bank account for no good reason. BEWARE!

For two years I have used them. First they told me I will high speed internet but needed a landline. Why would I need that if it's 'not suppose to be a dial up'? Then after months of using their service, my internet keeps going in and out. I keep calling and it takes hours! This last time, it goes out and they said my modem is completely down because it's an old model and I need to order a new one. I placed the order to 'rent' after they told me it can't be used with another provider if I ever leave EarthLink (why would I purchase anything from them?). I completed the rent agreement and he apologized about my internet not working. I told him I'm in school and in the middle of finals week and need to submit a paper. I sent to bed highly upset! I just woke up and my internet is working. I think they prey on those who hasn't changed over to this new modem. Now I have a new bill for a modem. This is crazy! I need to look for another provider and fast.

I signed up for the service and was guaranteed service within 24 to 48 hours. They took the money out of my account and I quit looking for another service. I called back after 4 days and they told me the same thing 24 to 48 hours. I called back the next day and was told the same thing. The 6th day I called them and after 45 minutes on the phone I was told they could not provide the service in my area. I spent approx 2-1/2 hours total on the phone with them for nothing.

I was told installation would be done BEFORE Christmas and now they are telling me it won't be until next year. 2 weeks just for installation? It didn't take 2 weeks to take the money out of my account. I will make sure to let everyone I know to NEVER get service with you. This is horrible. The worst customer service I have ever experienced! I've been on the phone for 2 hours and still nothing has been done. No one knows what to do! 2 HOURS. 2 different customer service agents, 1 "supervisor", 1 installation tech and STILL NOTHING. As a matter of fact instead of fixing my service. They cancel my service and then told me I would have to pay ANOTHER deposit and wait another week for "processing". WTH??? Isn't this an American company? Why am I talking to people in India that have no clue how to help me get service in America; THAT I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR!!!

Earthlink, the provider for KFC in Magna Utah. I have been assigned to the Refinery/Smelter for Kennecott in Magna for over 2 years now. Not once, EVER, has Earthlink's WiFi in the restaurant worked. If you connect, and it will connect, you can do nothing. You can't go to the 'lightest' website, that is one that is only text, no images. It will not connect. The manager there tells me that their customer service shouldn't be considered CS at all. They are almost impossible to contact and when you do, there is no resolution to the issue. No one from the company ever got back to them, not even once. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DON'T CONSIDER USING EARTHLINK FOR ANYTHING.

Have been with Earthlink for many years. I understand that it happens and in this day and age, many large companies have glitches. However, it would be nice of the company (Earthlink) to at least send an apology email when things go wrong. Owning a business and having the email system go down is an unnecessary stress and potential loss of revenue. A simple apology goes a long way. We, the subscribers keep you going Earthlink - so do the right thing and treat your customers like human beings.

Have been a user of Earthlink (they acquired Mindspring) for nearly 20 years, and have finally moved on to Microsoft 365 and godaddy... forever. Only 30 days until I dump my mindspring emails. I was caught up in the email company name idea for years, but now through their never-ending horrible service, highlighted by no service for the past 5 hours. Whoever heard of a business in the technology service industry shutting their server down and no access to anyone by phone. Refunds in order, but no way to contact. If one ever does connect with them the phones are answered in India. And the first question asked is to fill out the survey following the call. Weird indeed.

I've been with Earthlink since 2011 and they are terrible. I had Net-zero before for dial up before the switch and I live in a rural area, so they were the best option at the time. The modems they give you suck. Found that out after a year using them and started to buy my own. Had less connection issues meaning I haven't had to call them for the BS troubleshooting steps they give you. (And already know.) Now when you do the troubleshooting yourself and still can't connect, that's the down fall.

You call their "IT support" and they feed you the same bull that you ALREADY done. You'll have to keep calling or keep talking to them until they figure out it could be a damn outage on their side so they can fix it. I recently tried to reactivate my service with them because the other service I went to was so slow. They suppose to give you 30 days to reactivate. Nooooo, I did reactivate it my service and it was on my account. Even talk to 5 different people saying my port was still connected.

But for some pure dumb a** reason they feed me I lost my connection and was still getting charge for it. Then one of their reps got my address wrong and tried to set me up with cable internet. Shoot, I wish. Told her that I don't think that's right because I don't live in the city limits. So I just cancel the crap and kept my email account until I can check through all my email before I cancel that crap too. I'm going to see if I can get cellular broadband and I really don't want satellite internet. (That's even worst if you game or download.) Earthlink was nothing but a pain.

Today, 11-10-2016, tried calling to report that one of my phone lines is out, and again, all calls lead to India. All I get in return is calls back about ticket numbers instead of fixing my phone line. I made a huge mistake by signing a contract with these people. Don't make the same mistake I did. Run far away. The first owner set up this account and that is why we have done business with them for over 11 years. I tried turning just one line off and they will force me to pay the entire contract out. They don't care at all they we have been a loyal customer. Not at all. They don't even have an office in our town. I asked for a phone number for an actual employee or an number to an office in America and nothing.

Said there isn't any. Their internet speed is terrible. Took 2 hours to download 256.65 mb. It's 1 mb. Horrible. But, it's the horrible customer service that makes it the worst. I'm counting the days till my contract runs out and it will be one of the happiest days of my life when I can call and close out our account. I never want to hear back from EarthLink again. It's unethical to force payment on one line when one line doesn't work anymore. So, I'm paying for 2 lines that are useless. Don't use these people. They charge way too high!!! Everything is done from a "remote" location. You will regret it. Haven't seen an actual employee in over 7 years. The internet constantly goes out. So slow. Run.

I used EarthLink prior to 8/1/05 for dial-up service. On 8/1/05 I ordered a DSL modem, as dial-up was no longer needed. I was never asked if I wanted to keep the dial-up. I figured it would end when I started DSL. Seems I have been charged for both from 8/05 to 10/16 = over $2,800. It was an automatic deduct on my card and it never hit me, that I was being double charged until my wife called. Overseas customer service kept telling her the 21.95 (which was the dial-up fee) was just internet service. She kept pushing what exactly it was for... finally told it was for dial-up. She cancelled it. They offered us 2 month refund and we refused. Went to BBB in Atlanta with complaint and was able to get a 1 year refund but EarthLink came back and stated some people STILL keep dial-up along with DSL, as a backup. This is total bull. You don't need dial-up if you have DSL.

We are senior citizens and feel extremely taken advantage of!! There was nothing on our charge statement stating WHAT the charges were; just their name, phone, Ga., and Internet Service. For all this time, I had thought it was just "Internet" fees, until my wife noticed it. Yes, I should have noticed it sooner but I just pay the bills and honestly thought it was just for the one service. So BBB has closed the case. We would like to pursue this further, but need help!! As seniors, we could use the money that they took from us. How many others are they double charging?

I have been an Earthlink customer for years. For the last few years, I have been trying to get them to upgrade my DSL service to something faster than the 1mb service I have had for the last 10 years. They tell me the that I already have the fastest service available in my area. The local phone company, whose network Earthlink uses, now offers up to 7 mb service, which means the lines are conditioned for data speeds up to that rate. For some reason, Earthlink can't seem to figure out how to provide faster service. How, in this day and age, can a company claim they offer fast internet service when the best they can do is 1mb?

Went down first time on 9/30/16. STAYED down until 10/4. Actually THROUGH 10/4. When it came back up, I was charitable enough to give them a second chance. After all, stuff happens. Earthlink then went down AGAIN on 10/14. It is STILL down. Both times (10 days total without ANY email or WWW access) I tried to get tech support and instead got a robo-voice stating that "due to the heavy volume of calls... bla-bla-bla" basically call back later or better yet not at all. Finally the AT&T tech came out today to give me a new Internet access/email address. After notifying everyone and answering the backed-up emails, I plan to let Earthlink know that IT'S FIRED! EARTHLINK SUCKS!!!

Omg worst decision of my life!!! AT&T referred me to Earthlink and it was a draining experience. I would say it's a scam of internet. I've been waiting for 3 weeks now for them to install my internet. I gave a deposit $25 and try to get a refund. They are only giving me 19 dollars back. What a scam, that's if they even give me that supposedly it takes up to 10 days to transfer to my card. Yeah right, I should just say good bye to those 25 dollars. They gave me the runaround for 3 weeks saying they will give me a call back for an installation appointment. I really recommend to not chose this SCAM OF INTERNET.

I have never in my life came across a joke like Earthlink. I called them because I wanted internet. Was given a so called dial up acct so that I could upgrade to high speed and keep the $14.95 rate. Keep in mind this dial up acct was a fictitious acct to get me to high speed. I never got any service from them. I was told after the fact that you need a landline. NO. Why should I add more bills? Then was told their tech would come out, do something at the outside box of the phone companies and I'd be good.

Well since I didn't know if my inside outlet for the phone worked I show hire a technician to come check it. WOW more money. So after screaming that I want this cancelled and being told the $14.95 would go to collection I said "well it will have to because I cancelled my credit card." He was MADE. Oh well. So after all the raised voices he says he cancelled it, took off the $14.95 and gave me a confirmation number. So we shall see. PLEASE DO NOT PICK EARTHLINK. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Just awfull!! When I moved to my new apartment in NYC I called Verizon for internet, they gave me an installation date for 12 days later so I cancelled because I work mostly from home and needed internet service as soon as possible. I came across Earthlink.... Called, they told me that I will receive my modem within 5 days and I can connect it myself (since I have a phone jack at home) and start using the service right away! They charged me $19.95 for shipping the modem. I received it a few days later on September 10th, happy that I'm going to have internet soon, I connected the modem and called them as instructed.

The guy on the phone checked my account and said it looks like technician didn't install my service yet, apparently someone has to go to building's cable box and do something in order for you to get internet in your apartment, so he said that I will have internet access the next morning... I was a little disappointed but it wasn't that much of a big deal... I waited the entire next day waiting for DSL light on the modem to turn on like the representative told me. Nothing. I called that night, representative told me I will have internet access Monday morning (next day). Next day, nothing! At night I called again, this other guy told me to give it "24-48 hrs", because I just received my modem and it takes a few days for the service to start (new information!!), I told him that I really need this and I have to start working! So he said someone will contact me to explain and find a solution within "24-48 hrs", I again told him that I'm in a rush!

So he said he'll leave a note that they contact me tomorrow, then I tried to cancel the free trial they signed me up, for back up and Norton Anti-Virus, he kept told me "no I recommend that you try it, it's very good!" And I kept told him that "I. Really. Don't. Need. Those!!" By the way, I was nice! And at the middle of one of my nice explanations about why I don't need those 2 services (which will charge you a lot monthly after your free trial ends) he simply hung up on me!! And he didn't call back (they ask for your phone number first thing when you call and tell you if for any reason the call got disconnected, that person will personally call you back). So I waited the entire 24 hrs, no call from support, no internet...

I called again, this time with the intention of cancelling my order (which you think should be easy, right? Very wrong!) guy named Kevin, (their customer service based in India, so I doubt they tell you their real names) answered and after hearing about my experience he said he's very sorry and he will personally be on top of it until he's sure everything is fixed and I have access. I insisted that I just want to cancel, he offered me a free month and told me there was an issue and they're going to fix it and someone will contact me within "24-48 hrs". I said I don't want the free month ($14.95+$5 modem rental-price would go up to $39.95+$5 after 3 months) and all I want is to cancel because no one has any answers or knowledge about my case and I'm tired of waiting.

He again tried to explain why I should wait and if I cancel and go after any other provider now I should wait too when I might get internet tomorrow with them and bluh bluh bluh, I wasn't happy but at the same time tired of talking on the phone with no results, it seemed impossible to cancel... Annoying. So I said "ok, but I want to cancel those free trials", after the same process with this one (trying to make me keep those two trials) I could FINALLY convince him that I don't need those craps and not interested to be charged for them, his voice got upset but he cancelled them. So I waited not only "24-48 hrs" but over 3 days and NOTHING! No one contacted me!! I really didn't want to call again that's why I waited longer... Calls were really draining my energy, long and pointless... But I had to cancel this time and not hear no for an answer... It was the 16th (the day Verizon gave me installation appointment - Big mistake not taking that...).

I called at night and said I want to cancel, -by this point you know the process, they won't say "oh I'm sorry to see you leaving us" and then cancel your account like they should! Noooo, you have to talk for hours and hours to maybe just maybe be successful at canceling your crappy service- so yeah after the usual process and him telling me to wait "24-48 hrs" for an imaginary support member to call me, and my answer to everything was "cancel my account please". He said he's not trying to keep me (hahah) but just want me to give him an opportunity so he can call the support team when I'm on the phone for a conference call or whatever, that way I don't have to wait "24-48 hrs" and if they said something is wrong and takes time to get fixed then by all means he will cancel my account, I sighed, worned out from an hour phone conversation, I agreed, hoping it'll be over soon... He put me on hold to call support...

I WAS ON HOLD FOR ONE AND A HALF HOURS!!! I swear I'm not joking! Without him even checking on me to see if I'm still there or give me an update or anything, pureeee hour and a half hold time... Nothing but a recorded American voice thanking me for my patience... You might wonder why I didn't hang up, well I did not want to go through it again with another representative trying to cancel my freaking Earthlink service (what service??). So... It was midnight, and I fell asleep on hold... That was it, I said to myself I'm not gonna call ever again... By the way, no emails from them either... Nothing! On the 19th, I got a call from Earthlink, they told me that my service was cancelled on... Wait for it... September 9th!!!!! Not a joke!

They cancelled it a day before the modem arrived and NONE OF THOSE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES KNEW ABOUT THAT!!! All they've been taught is to say wait "24-48 hrs"!!! I was so tired of them to even get angry or argue with the guy about this unbelievable and unacceptable experience, was actually glad that it's finally over... I just asked for a refund ($19.95) and a return shipping label. He said I'll receive my refund because they were the ones who cancelled (I still don't know the reason and don't care) and someone will stop by my apartment to pick up the modem. I thought it was over, I was wrong once again. I did not receive a cancellation notification email... Instead I received another Welcome to EARTHLINK email that day.... Energy draining company...

It's the 24th today, still no refund or modem pick up... And it makes me really sad when I think about I might have to call them again... Looks like they might have signed me up again instead of cancelling. :( This is the very first time I'm leaving a bad review (and super long review) for anything that I purchased in my life. But I really think Earthlink should do something about their services or close! I'm grateful that [hopefully] I'm not their customer anymore, I can't imagine how it would be like to have the internet service and some interruption happens and you have to ask their support team about it. I'm glad I dodged the bullet [again, hopefully] early. This is the only time I wish you could give negative stars... If you haven't signed up with them yet and are still thinking about it, please do yourself a big favor and stay away from Earthlink. Sorry if my review is too long, have a good one everyone!

I paid for my service to be installed on Aug 29th. I was suppose to have an install date within 6 days. They were unable to get me an install date. I called them back on Sept 6th. I was told I would be contacted back in 24 hours with an install date instead I receive an email telling me I will have an install date no later than Sept 11th. Still nothing. I called back again and spoke with 3 different people who kept putting me on hold. They would come back on the line to check if I was still there then they would tell me that they were still looking at my account. Then they would try to still sell me their security package. Like I don't even have your service. You just told me that you couldn't service my address. Just give me my refund. So then finally after an hour long hold, I received my refund. This is a bad company that has zero customer service skills and very limited service area! Do not spend your money with these people!

My two-month encounter with Earthlink was full of strange incidents. Customer support in India, non-answered calls, never calling back etc. It became very clear that they were not going to be able to deliver a working internet connection so I cancelled, still within my trial period. I was promised my deposits back, but it never happened. I actually reported this business to USPS as a scam, feeling that they send mail which is date-stamped and then let wait somewhere and only delivered to the mail system so all the deadlines are already gone when you get the mail (this was related to returning their equipment to get the money back). Please be very very cautious with this company. I am now with Shentel: they were able to deliver a functioning connection and the couple of times I have had issues (such as faulty modem), a local repair guys arrives and actually does something to the matter.

Long time customer of Earthlink. Had an issue with my DSL and was promptly issued a work order from a foreign customer service agent. The reason I state the origin of the customer service is because the volume of my business is deemed bronze, meaning not important enough to have US based customer service. If I was a larger company I may merit Silver or Gold status. Agent filed it as a phone issue not a DSL issue and AT&T sent out a repair crew checked the phone line and said everything was good. After days without internet I called and was told everything was good. I stated my internet was not working. They sent someone again and same thing happened, two more times this happened.

Finally a service person from Earthlink caught on that the ticket was for DSL however the work order for AT&T was for Voice. After 4 weeks of going without internet, thanks to a local service man going out of his way to contact AT&T it finally got fixed. Today I received two things from Earthlink. 1. An e-mail that my issue was resolved, 2. A bill with no credit issued for lack of internet. Customer service will not resolve this because according to them it is still an open order. I advised them that it was closed per my e-mail from the company they work for. Billing is not resolved, and will have to go to court because that has to be easier than dealing with their customer service.

At our company we have been loyal customers to Earthlink for awhile. For the past three months we have been trying to disconnect our service as it is to no use of us anymore. We have filled the disconnect form out twice, sent it to 2 different emails, and we received no response until two months later claiming that they did receive the form but from someone who is not authorized on the account (I made sure that everyone in the office is verified on the account when I first tried to disconnect from the service). So I then sent the form, and an official letter from my supervisor stating that I was a contact person on the account and I was able to submit forms to them.

Once again did not receive an email back, until they sent out their last email saying that they received no form from us and will not disconnect our service, so we are still being charged for months that we had previously tried to disconnect and now we are getting late fees. So please do not ever sign up with this company. Do not waste your money, and do not waste your sanity trying to talk with someone who does not know what they are talking about.

For over the past 15 years I've been a loyal Earthlink customer. My current issue is the DSL Internet speed. I tell them that I'm using an XP OS. I'm paying for 3Mbps, but receiving 80Kbps. I've called several times over the past year to resolve this issue, but only temporary solutions were offered. Earthlink sent Verizon technicians out to the junction box, but no improvement. Earthlink replaced my modem, but no improvement. Earthlink has given me token refunds, but no improvement. I've had issues on and off, but this current one has gone on for over a year. It leads me to think that it is time to quit Earthlink.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This company has seen many changes in the ISP market over the past two decades. It was one of the leaders when dial-up was the fastest speed on the market. Today, dial-up remains the only option in many parts of the United States, and Earthlink offers unlimited access from anywhere in the nation.

• Low price: The dial-up service from Earthlink is about the lowest-priced ISP on the market today. Even its higher speed options are less expensive than the large providers.
  • Satellite ISP: Even when there is no DSL or cable available in a region, Earthlink allows customers to get online using HughesNet Satellite connections.
  • New services: Managed services for business and cloud provisioning are two areas where Earthlink is expanding to help small businesses compete on the global market.
  • Best for Small businesses and families who are outside cable and DSL coverage areas.

Compare Internet Service Providers