1.13/5

Earthlink Reviews

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Why lie to me as I'm signing up for service and say I'm getting fiber optic, only to have install guy come out to hook me up and find out it's just DSL. I refused installation, and await my $70 install charge refund, which I was told several times would be returned if the install was not completed to my satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I WISH I COULD RATE NO STARS!!!! I called to get wifi on the 5th of Oct. Everything went smooth, they got a $70 installation payment and told me I would get notified in a few days as to when my installation date would be. I got the notification. Installation would be on the 10th between 8 and 12. The 10th comes, no-one shows up. I call and they say the installation tech was at my door at 7:02 and I apparently told him I wanted to cancel! That was a lie, he never showed up.. Okay, I get a partial refund of my fee and I am told I will get a new installation date. New date is the 18th. The 18th gets here and once again no-one shows up. I call in and they say that their service is already at my house and I can't get Wi-Fi installed until the service is shut off.. Nobody has lived in my house like 8 years prior to me.

Screw it, just cancel my installation and all services I signed up for and give me the rest of my refund. They what I thought, cancelled everything! The 22nd comes and I get a call from Earthlink saying there was a problem with my account and that I needed to call in. Then they tried to charge my card $39.95! Call in and ask what is going on and the lady says the guy I talked to on the 18th didn't cancel all of my services. She goes ahead and cancels EVERYTHING! Last evening I get the rest of my refund back. Great! I'm done with them.. 7AM this morning my card is charged $39.95. I'm getting really mad.. I have to call in at 8 when customer service opens because the guy I spoke to can't see why my card was charged! This company should be shut down!!!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Called Earthlink regarding service for internet in September 2019. Was eventually told that the company that services their lines could no longer do so. Was billed regardless of poor/non-existent service. If you have DSL with Earthlink, your lines are NOT being maintained. This was directly from a service technician in Earthlink's offices in India. I called a second time and was told that the lines were no longer being maintained by their contractor. If you have been having problems, write to BBB, the FTC, the FCC and your local State AG's office and lodge a complaint. This kind of business practice must NOT be tolerated.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Used Earth link years ago and decided to try them again despite the 1 STAR ratings (RED FLAG, I know). They immediately withdrew the required deposit from my account but 5 days later, NO notification of when service would be installed so I called them. Given date between 11am and 1pm. Although I called them twice this day, several hours apart, (the reply was always, 'We're running 2 hrs behind'). At MIDNIGHT still a No Call, No Show.

The following day when I called, the answer was 'Techs don't work on the weekend but I promise to call you on Monday at 8am to follow-up 'til you have internet.' On Monday @ 9:30 am, nothing... Called corporate and spoke to 'James' who was as arrogant as one could get. He told ME: 1) "They called but you didn't answer." 2) "You weren't at home". 3) 'You must have given them the wrong address...LIES, ALIBIS, and ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. In my opinion, Keep what you've got or keep looking!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I started with Earthlink email years ago as the internet got started. It's bad, not user friendly, slow and difficult to navigate. For nearly 20 years I paid them a little over $20 a month for the service! About 8 years ago my account was overrun with spam. Nothing I did could make it stop. Contact with EarthLink went nowhere. But customer service is so bad I continued to pay as I shifted my contacts over to a different company and moved important emails. In order to shut down your account you have to call, fax or snailmail a request.

The first time I called to shut down my account the representative told me the computers were down. The second time I called it took 40 minutes, 2 representatives and some strong words to convince the person I did not want anything other than to get away. They claimed I would be able to access the account, and retrieve the confirmation of account cancellation, until the end of the month. Not true. I immediately got shut out, so I'm just going to have to watch my credit card to make sure they stop charging me. In conclusion: Customer service is beyond bad, and the email service is way worse than Yahoo or Gmail which you get for free. Don't use this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

For the last couple of weeks, ever since Earthlink tried to improve their spam blocking, most of my regular emails are going into the Known Spam folder. It took 6 days of trying with tech support before I was finally able to speak to a Level 2 and then Level 3 "executive level" help. The Level 3 was much worse than the Level 2 but neither one had any interest in helping the customer.

They said all the (many) companies who are email me, whose email now goes to Known Spam, have "non-secure servers" and I was supposed to contact all of them and have them update their servers. They denied that there was ANY problem with Earthlink services. I asked for a work-around and was told there was none. I asked if Earthlink was going to find a solution and was then told "maybe next week". Which means they do actually recognize that it is a problem. Dealing with Earthlink now is a massive waste of my time. They did not care at all that I was ready to cancel my account.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Like other reviewers, in the past maybe 6 months, I continuously receive spam emails despite the fact that I have the highest security level set and they're not in my address book. I've spent hours troubleshooting with tech support, even the highest Tier 3, to no avail. In fact, the Tier 3 Level (in the U.S.) have absolutely no interest in solving the problem at all--much more so than the lower tier techs in India. An absolute waste of time talking to them. Really can't understand why they have no interest in addressing the problem--maybe email service doesn't generate enough revenue? Who knows. Very disappointed because like others, I've had the service for many years and didn't want to have to change. Tired, though, of trying to block each domain that bypasses address book, only to have more come in.

Original review: July 21, 2019

EarthLink is the worst internet provider I have any experience with. We have service with Dish Network and they sent us to EarthLink. They are horrible and unreliable. All of our devices we have linked with internet have experienced lag and no connection a daily basis. My family has grown use to the fact the internet will stop working throughout the day and they have learned how to accept it. This EarthLink company needs to be shut down for fraud and refund our money back...

Original review: July 12, 2019

EarthLink is a paid email provider. Very frustrating to have pop up adds that actually block about 1/3 of the text of the email you are reading. I have sent EarthLink "customer service" an email about this issue...no response. PIA to change email address but I am starting to change mine!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I’ve had Earthlink email for 20 years. Didn’t want the hassle of switching all my contacts to Gmail- but no longer! Over the last couple of months their “spam filter” has been nonexistent. I get at least 30 spam emails a day in my inbox, and they are not from addresses in my contacts. According to tech support they are “working” on the problem. Yeah, right. Do not use this company.

Earthlink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company has seen many changes in the ISP market over the past two decades. It was one of the leaders when dial-up was the fastest speed on the market. Today, dial-up remains the only option in many parts of the United States, and Earthlink offers unlimited access from anywhere in the nation.

• Low price: The dial-up service from Earthlink is about the lowest-priced ISP on the market today. Even its higher speed options are less expensive than the large providers.

• Satellite ISP: Even when there is no DSL or cable available in a region, Earthlink allows customers to get online using HughesNet Satellite connections.

• New services: Managed services for business and cloud provisioning are two areas where Earthlink is expanding to help small businesses compete on the global market.

• Best for: Small businesses and families who are outside cable and DSL coverage areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs