EarthLink

EarthLink
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

BOTTOM LINE

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

PROS

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

CONS

• Not available in every state

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I've had Earthlink as my paid e-mail service provider for 15+ years. I haven't changed service as I've thought it would be too much trouble to change to a new service. SPAM control is non existent. Put on the filter and you get no mail. Now I get up to 50 spam mails daily. Customer service? That doesn't exist either. $6 a month folks. I'm done with earthlink.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Charged $79.95 upfront for "installation". Had to wait 2 weeks for the install appt. NOT told CenturyLink (who owns Earthlink) technicians would NOT be able to enter the house due to Coronavirus. Tech said he could only install cable to the "cable box" outside the house OR he could say I canceled the job (he claimed I shouldn't be charged anything -- NOT TRUE, no refunds.) Additionally, I would have to hire an electrician to finish the install. I could do so either before he did "his job" or have his appt canceled/rescheduled and he'd come back "later" to do cable connection to the box. Started the work then left with cable/wiring hanging. Hope he comes back. POOR communication. If ever I get internet service, hope it is worth the frustration.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I recently ordered EarthLink HyperLink internet with a WiFi modem and account. I put down my deposit and 1st month's bill and had it installed. Not even a day after instillation I got a bill from them for their monthly billing cycle due the following week. I paid it, and they skipped down their internet service to a crawl after 15 days of service. I contacted them concerning both and for the slow down I was told that it is their policy to slow down their service after mid-way into a billing cycle until the bill is paid, which would make them lose business.

And as for the bill, I was told by the same person that it is their policy too to have a monthly bill due right after instillation, even if you paid the instillation and first month's service. You can't even understand what they are saying due to their extremely thick accents.. After my next pay I am ditching them for another company and if they want to take me to court then they can. I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have read a lot of negative reviews about Earthlink. My experience is different. I first discovered Earthlink when I was working for Time Warner Cable (Spectrum). I did an installation for the cable company at the customer's house. The installation was good and the customer was happy when I left her with a fully functional Internet service. Yes Earthlink contracts with local ISP's like Spectrum and AT&T to install Internet service on the ISP's network. That's not a problem because for some reason the Internet service costs less when you go through Earthlink to get it. Any installation problems that you have are therefore caused by the ISP (Spectrum or AT&T) technician, not Earthlink. I purchased Hyperlink 50Mbit Internet service from Earthlink. A AT&T technician did the installation. My new Internet service is riding on the AT&T fiber network in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I am very pleased with the new service and price.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

They store your PASSWORD in PLAINTEXT***. Please don't use this company to get your internet connection. This company should shutdown! I called them to set up my internet and was given my password in plaintext. That means they know what password I use, scary! I completed my order on 9-1-2020, still waiting for the internet connection. They make up reasons when I call them. I was asked once to wait till midnight to get the internet, seriously? I WANT FULL REFUND!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I am in Day 8 and still have no internet service, I have called 5 plus times. I was hang up on By 2 service agents. I have ask for Earthlink's team to call me with updates and I hear crickets. I was told it will be another 2 days before they will provide service to correct the problem. We will be on Day 10 by then. My story is too long for this forum, I would be glad to my story through a phone conversation. I don't know how long this will go on - Stay Tune.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I ordered EarthLink about 3 months ago. Paid for the service but was never able to go on the internet. They did send 2 Verizon techs. They could not fix it. So instead of paying them more I cancelled my debit card. They still keep sending me emails and calling for money.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I am EarthLink customer since December 2019. Everything was nice and stable until I moved to the new location served by EarthLink. In the moment I asked move my service things just got out of hands. First I called and was assured the installation on my new place will be scheduled in 48 business hours. Needless to say nothing happen in 48 hours. I called again and was sent to wait another 48 hours. By the end of those 48 hours it turns out they got wrong my new address and nobody did any effort to contact me. Now I am at the end of the other 48 hours and guess what? Nobody contacted me, but money was successfully charged from my account. Bottom line after week of struggle I can't work, children disconnected from education and no any estimate when it is going to end.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

I have had EarthLink DSL internet service for a very long time. Not the best service, and the last few years there have been some lengthy outages, but it usually worked. Not very fast, but I don't stream movies or game, so it did what I needed. I rarely needed to call their outsourced Indian tech support. It had cost $45 a month, and after recent inflation, that wasn't too bad. A couple months ago they upped the charge to $50.

Yesterday I received this letter from EarthLink in the mail that reads: "Dear EarthLink Customer, Due to unforeseen circumstances your EarthLink Internet service will no longer be available at your address after September 17, 2020. To avoid a service interruption you will need to find a new provider before September 18, 2020."

They are just shutting me off. With only one month notice. In the middle of a global pandemic. Public libraries are closed or limited. I'm unemployed. Internet is the only way to apply for jobs since paper and face to face are no longer accepted. Changing my equipment around for a new service and finding another provider will take more time than I have and may cause other problems for me. They don't even explain why this is happening.

It appears they still offer other services in other areas, so it looks like they are not quite going out of business. This is unacceptable behavior for any internet company in this day and age. They should be ashamed of themselves. I recommend that people avoid this company like the plague. And I mean more than just wearing a face mask.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

About five years ago (2015) I was searching for a new internet carrier and settled on Earthlink. Or I thought it was Earthlink. When I signed up with them, I was actually subscribing to Time Warner (now Spectrum). This was never adequately explained to me. Earthlink did, however, claim to provide internet security for which they charged a small monthly fee. Over the course of the last five years, this has amounted to almost $400.

A little over a year ago, I switched my internet carrier to AT&T, but Earthlink kept charging me. I called their customer support to ask what these charges were for (since I was no longer with Spectrum). I was told it was to provide internet security. I did some further research and learned Norton was actually providing this service to me directly and charging me annually. So, I was continuing to pay Earthlink while also paying Norton for the exact same thing. Through all the information I was able to accumulate, I learned that Earthlink was actually charging me for nothing. When I asked them for proof that they actually provided some sort of benefit that I was paying for, they couldn't. Norton could provide this proof. Earthlink defended this by saying that these charges were "subscription based." So long as I had a subscription with them (whether they provided a service or not), I was going to be charged.

When I looked at all the evidence, I decided to request a refund of the past year of charges. I have every reason to demand more, but I realized that part of the misunderstanding was mine. So, I was willing to settle for one year. After an hour on the phone (in which I was on hold for half of it and spoke with three different people), Earthlink flatly refused to explain these charges (other than I was "subscribed" with them) and refused to compensate me for a year of charges that was literally for nothing. I offered to provide the documentation that proved Norton provided this service that they claimed to, but they just kept repeating the same excuses (with no evidence).

While I realize their customer service people are just following a script and are limited in what they are authorized to do over the phone, it was their accounting department that have the power in this situation. While they never have to deal with any customers directly, they assume the right to decide that money is much more important to them than the customers. I have paid them nearly $400 over the course of five years, yet they refuse to accept responsibility for taking that money for no reason. One of the customer service people I spoke with offered me a six month refund (telling me how "generous" he was being), but after talking with accounting, he cut that to three months. Is $20 generosity after lying and stealing from someone for five years? Then they suggested I was to blame because I was the one who stayed subscribed to them. Yes, I did, because they led me to believe I was getting something for my money.

Earthlink was providing me no service that they can prove, yet they were content to simply keep charging me forever. Their company shows no transparency, bears no responsibility for how they treat their customers, and has proven to me they value money more than doing the right thing for someone who has been with them for years. This is not a company that I would recommend to anyone. They lied to me when they told me they were providing me with internet security, then when caught in that lie, they refused to make it right. Then actually had the audacity to blame me for these charges. Dishonest. Unprofessional. Zero stars.

EarthLink Company Information