1.38/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 15, 2018

425 Earthlink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

It wasn't always terrible. I've had the provider for nearly 20 years. Pain that it is to change at this point, I am going to go through all those hoops (more work) in order to receive and process my email in a timely and efficient manner. Earthlink stalls, buffers and totally freezes on a page every time I log in these days. Any chance of reading an email is slaughtered by wildly blinking advertisements that don't give up. Only on the Earthlink site is my computer taken hostage by Mac Keeper, which renders any navigation null. I find myself calling myself names, like "stupid," because I actually PAY for this "service." I would recommend you do your own navigating away from Earthlink. A completely disgruntled customer.

Original review: May 13, 2018

EarthLink has great low cost internet service. When I used it the internet was reliable and had efficient speeds with not a lot of buffering or wait times for web pages to load.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Oh boy this was frustrating. I won't recommend Earthlink. My father's account fell into arrears because he had passed and I was scrambling to get his life in order. They sent it to collections and refused to do anything but tell me to pay the arrears and then pay the next payment. Really frustrating. I told them I would pay for a year's subscription if they backdated it to when the account lapsed and then waived the reinstatement fee. Or I would pay a year's membership from March forward, either way. They wouldn't work with me at all.

Every other company I have dealt with completely understood what happens when someone passes, the chaos and confusions it creates and every other company bent over backwards to help me. Earthlink, I talked to three customer service people, two of which were friendly but said they couldn't help me. The third was just a robot who was completely rude. It's unfortunate that such an amazing company as Earthlink started as, has declined so much.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

When I want the local internet service I ordered from EarthLink then EarthLink deal with local internet service provider Time Warner, of course when I cancel the service after few years I should cancel from EarthLink, right? However Spectrum (bill turn to Spectrum lately after Time Warner) still charged me, because EarthLink suppose notify my cancellation to Spectrum or tell me should call Spectrum but they did not do it. Now they said they cannot do anything and EarthLink does not even have billing department to handle this case, so just be careful use EarthLink internet cable service.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’ve been a customer of EarthLink since June, we moved from Missouri to Houston and transferred service to our temporary housing with no issue $69 installation fee which is understandable. We let them know it was temporary and would be transferring again after our house sold in MO. Now it’s time to set up service at our new home and all of the sudden a policy change happened requiring a $200 cancellation fee to move service. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This is the only company I know that tries to RIPOFF off their customers who try and STAY! I asked the rep to waive it and she said they should be able to and when she came back, she couldn’t. The supervisor CLOY and his supervisor FRED were adamant that this new policy was in the disclosures (never received) and there was nothing they could do about it. This company is unethical and does not care if they win or lose customers over $200 profit scheme! RUN away from this company and shame on ATT for associating themselves with unfair and abusive business practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I paid my bill early. My bill was 85$. l paid 70$ the customer rep assured me that the 16$ will roll over to next months bill. 5 days later my service is suspended. So l called to correct this. & they said I should've made the whole payment the first time. Now l have to pay a 200$ cancel fee & 60$ to get service again & sign a new contract... Literally this was out of the blue. If the worker would have gave me the right information the first time things wouldve went smoother. So my 70$ only got me 5 days of wifi. Here's the executive relations number... If you have Earthlink you will definitely need this 404815077 executive relations & Complaint Line. I just can't believe this company. This is sad... Just go to Charter Time Warner because this is not where you want to be. I would suggest going to AT&T U-verse but they Support Earthlink.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

When I first opened my account they took all my information then ask for my card information. I asked why. They told me for informational purposes. Since then me and this company have been going back and forth because they decided to start drawing off the card. I have several disputed charges with my bank. Now they turned my services off due non-payment. But they debited my account on the 29th of December. This company lies to get your service. Then you'll be going back and forth about unauthorized charges coming from you account.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I called EarthLink to transfer my service to a new location as I am moving. I was advised that I would be charged an early termination fee of $100 at my old location and $69.99 to install at my new location. In all my years of having service with different providers, I've NEVER heard of this nonsense. If I am still a customer with your company, why am I paying for an early termination fee??? I felt as if this is definitely some kind of scheme to make money off people. I request to speak with a supervisor after getting nowhere with the agent. At first, the supervisor wasn't helpful. He thought he could give me the web address and get me off the phone. I asked him where I could find what he was saying within the policy. He responded with an attitude saying, "It's in the policy, ma'am..." like I'm dumb or something.

I made him stay on the phone and asked him to point me in the right direction as to where I can find this information. He couldn't. But he was still going to charge me the $100 early termination fee. He even told me, "If there is something that we could do to waive this fee, we would." I had to take it as far as explaining to him WHY I was moving which is PERSONAL (and it shouldn't have gone that far) in order for him to do anything. He placed me on hold for about five minutes which gave me time to review their policy. I filtered and reviewed the terms on ETFs. The word 'early termination fee' was mentioned 14 times within the policy and there is not one mention of charges due to transferring service. The verbiage the supervisor was trying to use to explain why I was being charged the fee was that I was 'canceling' my service at the old address.

But that is not accurate. True, I'm moving so the service will no longer be at that address. But, I'm still going to have the SAME service as an EXISTING customer, only at a different location. So I didn't fall for that. Well in the end, after letting him know that my family attorney was waiting for my follow up on the matter, he waived the fee. So there was something you could do... Hmmm. In conclusion, I felt like I was being bamboozled and it took too much of a fight to get them to understand that I'm too smart to fall for the okeydoke.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had paid $140 for my service just to have them disconnect it 5 days later. I spoke to several representatives and they kept hanging up on me and giving me the runaround. Kept being told to wait 24 hours for 5 days and still no service. Now I was told that I need a new service and I have to wait 4 to 6 business days for someone to come to my house which means I have to miss work besides the work that I'm missing for them not reissuing my service and disconnecting it after I paid the money and it was taken out of my account the same day. Doesn't really seem like no one wants to help you in that company. Representatives pretend to be manager. They took my hundred and $40 the same day and I'm still waiting for an email confirmation.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

EarthLink is the worst service. They disconnected my internet after I paid them on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. They told me I would get my internet within 24 after calling them. They told me, "Oh we didn't remember it was an holiday. Your internet will be restored on Fri". When I called them they told, "There is no one here so you'll get your internet on Monday first thing in the morning. So Monday came. I called. They are now telling my line is inactive. I have to pay 70$ for a new line and I have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for them to come out.... since I had EarthLink it's nothing but problems. One time they put someone else Visa card on my account telling me if I don't know the last 4 numbers I can't pay my bill and it will be disconnected. I was like I can't tell you something I don't know. Needless to say it was hell. Another time they overcharge my card and now this... I'm telling do NOT ever get EarthLink. They are **.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I was promised internet service by 800 pm last night... it never arrived. They escalated the issue to a supervisor who contacted Verizon -- who is their vendor and they said Verizon said they didn't know what was wrong... OMG. Talk about horrible communication between Verizon and Earthlink! I am out 5 days of work because of their incompetence and false promises. Finally I learned about Straight Talk mobile hotspot internet service at Walmart. The internet box costs 50 bucks and it's 15 dollars per 1gb of service. As long as you aren't streaming movies it's ok... though it’s still cheaper to use a traditional service of course... Really mad that they strung me along, lied and then never delivered service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have never written a complaint on any company in my life, but I am today. I have had nothing but problems from day one with this company as to which Dish.net had referred me to and was told that AT&T did not service my area. Promised high-speed internet didn't deliver but meanwhile the technician that came to set it up said it was available but customer service wouldn't approve. Called several times for a tech to come and change modem due to modem not being compatible to dish (the ones that made the referral) they didn't know what I was talking about and refused to send tech out. Informed me that they would have to charge me $100 for tech to come out IF it wasn't there problem. An hour later no tech, no problem fixed only to tell me they tested modem and that 22 items were on my internet. NOT POSSIBLE!! RUN DON'T WALK FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Our business signed a 3 year contract with EarthLink. After receiving our first 2 bills, we realized that our monthly agreed upon amount was not what we are being billed for. We signed a contract for $ 317.00 per month, we are now getting billed for $ 451.00 per month. After a conversation with the customer service department, we discovered we are paying all kinds of fees and service costs. We cannot get out of the contract, and we have to pay the monthly amount, by the end of our contract, we will be paying over $500.00 when we thought it would be $317.00. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Earthlink sends me spam everyday all day. I have email accounts with 4 other providers who send NO spam. Based on the amount of spam Earthlink sends... I'm starting to think EarthLink is making money on spam. I call them the Spam Network.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We have had 3 major issues with Earthlink. 1. We were told the cost was $25.00 per month then the actual charge was $25.00 for the first 3 months only... Lie #1. 2. We were told we had 30 days to preview and contact the company multiple times indicating the service was not working. At each occurrence we were assured they would fix the issue and each time the fix did not work. Now we are trying to cancel the service after 35 days of repeated attempt to correct a bad service and they refuse to cancel without charging us a $200 disconnect fee. LIE #2.

3. The supervisor my wife was on the phone with was the rudest person I have ever heard. He continually talked over her and demeaned her say the issue was her lack of understanding of technology rather than a fault on the companies end. Wow... Seriously that is your answer. If Earthlink wants to correct the issue then email me and give me a real, normal person I can have a conversation with... If you just want to screw another customer then I guess you just have as that has been my experience so far! My email is **.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I recently switched to Earthlink internet. I had a rep tell me and my mother both on a 3 way call that I was to get 100mps for $39.99. I have had service since July and have had several nasty encounters with them. Tech support is very rude and don't take care of problem. Ever since had service I am constantly booted offline every 3 to 5 minutes. I am a school student and also stream tv and when spoke to salesperson told me this would handle it being I was 100mps and they are claiming they don't have that speed. My mom and myself heard the same thing. Meanwhile, I have had tech support every single 2 weeks. I am constantly booted offline every 5 minutes. They told me that the line is too far from the building and why they offered it to me since it doesn't work is false advertisement.

I am a school student online courses and they are refusing to let us out of our contract even though our internet has not worked. I have failed several test due to being kicked offline every 5 minutes. I want out of my contract and they said no to deal with it. Meanwhile I paid $8000 for school for them to make me fail. They are rude and extremely nasty. I want something done and they refuse. I have had continued interruptions with my internet since I got it. This is not fair to a consumer who pays $40 a month and they won't do anything.

More less told me too bad and if cancel they plan on charging me the remainder 8 months. This company is very shady and I need help with this being they false advertise and don't need it on my credit. Please help and follow up with me. I want my money back for service that was not provided on their end. They are not holding up to their end of bargain and told me they were going to drop my speed for same price. Unacceptable. I am sure they are doing this to many people.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have Earthlink as part of a bundled pkg through TWC now Spectrum so the internet speed is determined by Spectrum (their internet service is awful). I love Earthlink, very good and reliable features, been using it for years. I hate Spectrum. They've raised prices, reduced services and speed is not good.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Was told installing it was going to be just like plugging in a toaster! Well I've been paying for the service and haven't been able to use it since I got it in March. Called and complained, got a credit. Still wasn't able to use the service. Still was charged a early termination fee. Crazy!!! I never used it and was still charged. I thought you pay to use a service. Not taken advantage of.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

EarthLink is the worst experience I've ever had. Numerous service interruptions for over 3 years. They won't let me out of my contract even though I've had soooooo many issues with connectivity. But, they do allow in their contract to increase their rates annually... which they did by $600 today. EarthLink customer service agents agree with me but state they cannot do anything about it. AVOID EARTHLINK at all costs. The service and rates are not going to be pleasant once you sign the contract.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

When this company was in Atlanta, GA they were terrific. They have now outsourced to India (quite some time ago) and the service is absolutely horrific. I wish there were another web provider in my area but there isn't except for one other that also has horrible reviews. I rue the day that this company moved to India and became a partner recently with Windstar (which has even worse reviews) since it has only made my email service incredibly worse than it was. If I could give this company less than one star I would do that.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I originally purchased Earthlink dial-up service back in 2009. I haven't used DSL (Dial Up) since 2010. Whenever I call one of their many customer service numbers, the call drops or no one answers. How do I cancel their service?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We have had Earthlink since we began using the Internet. They have deteriorated in service. Our connection is so unstable it rivals that of a third world country. If it rains, snows, wind blows, sun shines, we lose our connection constantly. Throughout the day we are rebooting, restarting the computer, going down stairs turning the modem on/off constantly through the day. I am sick of it. In addition, earthlink charges for each computer that is connected to their service. Moreover, they can never solve any technical problem. The tech support people read from a manual to you when you call in for help.

Finally they are squeezing us for storage space. I cannot keep any of my emails on the server. I have to delete them or get an email stating I have run out of storage space and emails will be returned to sender. This started recently. Of course I could solve this problem by purchasing more storage space from guess who. The company who already sucks and provides lousy Internet service. We would switch, but have been told we have too many trees in our neighborhood that block signals for dish company and also Charter and ATT suck as well. This is what we mean by competition. Government sanctioned monopolies and lousy service.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I wish I didn't even have to give this company one star - they deserve zero stars. I absolutely dread any and all contact with them. I can echo many of the other complaints about their requirement of having payment taken out automatically by them. I was initially blindsided by this, believing it was a one time deal. Letting these people have direct access to your account is risky at best.

My current issue with them is trying to do a simple move. The initial phone call was 55 minutes, 12 seconds. This to do a move... providing an old address, giving them a new address, no other changes, simple stuff. So one would think. BTW the actual service call takes 10 business days even though they contract through AT&T, who reconnected my DirecTV in 2 days. I was told my new charge would be $39.99.

"What new charge?" I asked "$39.99 for service call then $39.99 for three months and then $65.00 from there on out?" "What do you mean... on top of what I already pay?? $78 a month." "No ma'am it's a promotion." "But I'm already a customer, why am I being given a new customer promotional price?" The majority of my explanation was done by a supervisor because I couldn't understand the representative and he didn't understand my questions. (Earthlink is based entirely out of India, sales and service.) 55 minutes later I was sort of comfortable my move was being scheduled. That was July 25.

On August 3rd I received a phone call saying my installation would be done on August 7th. The representative actually seemed to speak English well, so I took the opportunity to go over some of the details of my move I was confused about: did they still use AT&T because they changed the name of their service to Hyperlink. Yes, still AT&T and they would provide a new modem even though I brought the old one with me. And I would be billed $39.99 the next day (today). All is well, I thought.

Today, I checked my bank account and they took out $78 (my old rate), resulting in another hour+ on the phone with customer support. Come to find out, I now have TWO accounts with them. One at the old address and one at the new address. "Yes ma'am, it is your responsibility to close the old account. We opened a new account which is why you get the promotional price." "So if I wouldn't have called, you would've continued to charge me for my old account??" "Yes ma'am." (After talking to the supervisor I'm not sure that's true, but I'm also not sure it's not!)

So after expressing my displeasure profusely, they agreed to refund the $78, which will take up to 10 days. Then on the 7th, I will be charged for the new service, which after they add their fees, should be about $50. So they will have taken about $130 out of my account and I have to wait for the refund, which I just have to trust, will be done correctly. There is no way to do business with these people without giving them free access to your account. I would not recommend EARTHLINK to my worst enemy. And, oh by the way, you have to sign a contract with them.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I had called Earthlink for service. It was only after I gave my bank account information was I told, that I could not use my phone at the same time. I immediately told them I did not want their service. I am 60 years old and live alone, with a disability. I contacted Earthlink several times, telling them to stop taking money out of my account. I was IGNORED. I changed banks, then the harassing phone calls started - 27 calls in 7 days. I will NEVER recommend this company, never use them nor will I ever buy stock. They are deceitful and resort to harassment. I was informed by them they were going to send my account to collection, for services that I NEVER have used.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I ordered online service on 7/11/17. I authorized a one time payment. I gave consent for one amount to be debited from my card yet they decided to withdraw a different amount. As soon as I realized it, I demanded to end our business relationship and demanded them to reverse the payment. This was all happening in the initial conversation. They advised me they only have the ability to take payments NOT the ability to refund. After 2 hours of arguing my call was ended. During this horrible call I was told a technician would come out to my house for installation. I'm still waiting for the appointment. Come to find out, I reached out to Earthlink today. They advised me I have to wait for Verizon to cancel my service before they can set up installation. HELLO!!! Here goes another argument.

If I had Verizon online services why would I order a downgrade service! The most irritating part is I'm connected to India. Let's just say "common sense is not so common". Every time I mention refund the call is "transferred". Long story short the call is disconnected each time. Out of the blue today I had an Indian call me. I asked to speak with an American. The call was passed around to only Indian representatives. He said he's calling from the IRS and they issued a federal warrant for my arrest.

He advised an $8000.00 payment would stop all legal action. Call it a coincidence but I'm pretty sure Earthlink is responsible for the trickery. I'm just thrilled it's an easy fix. Cancel my card and move on! I would NOT advise anyone to waste their time with this foolish company. Unfortunately, I'll take the loss before I provide them any of my new banking information for a refund. (I wonder how many times they've gotten away with this trick)

Original review: July 11, 2017

In early May we called Dish to ask about the internet they offer on TV. We already use them, so we trusted them! They gave a quick rundown of a special for $30 per month and arranged to connect us with Earthlink right away. Right from the start the internet kept shutting down 15-20 times a day for 5-15 minute intervals. We had just moved and I work full time, so I didn't have the time or energy to deal with it. We gave a one time debit card for installation only and they have been illegally charging without permission ever since. Now that the 60 days have passed, they took their money the first week of July, and the VERY NEXT DAY our internet only worked for 6 hours a day from 11 am to 5 pm everyday.

After over an hour on the phone, India says they will send an AT&T TECH out to fix on Saturday between 1-4 pm, the tech never shows. Now they say tomorrow, Tuesday 7/11/17. Now considering all of the HORRIFYING reviews I'm reading, how are they still continuing to get away with this? How is our internet shutting off from precisely 5 pm to 11 am the next morning an outside technical issue!!! This company has got to be scammers and yet they are still allowed to exist!! I trusted Dish and they connected us straight to being ripped off by they devil!! I can't afford their so called cancellation contract fees, nor can my daughter afford not to have internet for her school work in evenings!! Please help us and society shut these people down!

Original review: July 2, 2017

Was without internet service for over three weeks. Finally sent a new modem which they told me would be no charge. They also said they would credit me with a month's service... all was a lie. They also charged me for shipping, Norton security and other items. It is aggravating also that you talk to people from India who don't speak English and they put you on hold forever. NEVER use this service. One of the most dishonest group of people I have done business with.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Poor service/overcharging - When I sign in for 19.99 a month no contracts. Sounds good and first month went to 24.99, I say ok. 3 months later is 50.33 and I called and some Asian person tell me to cancel the service I need to pay a termination fee.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I requested a new service about a month ago and still don't have service. They lied about everything. They lied about the monthly charge. They lied about how long it's going to take for installation. They lied about activation charge. They lied about everything. After almost 4 weeks I still don't have service. This is the worst service I faced in my 37 years in the USA. If I could give them negative 100 rating I would but you don't have that option. I will check with a lawyer to see how I can be compensated for all the suffering.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I'm locked into a 2 year contract with them because of my cable provider. The first month I had no service at all but was billed twice. Found out the lines in the house didn't run after 2 weeks of talking to people in India and finally got someone in America to call. They sent a tech to check the outside lines. Lines outside were perfect. Did that circle 3 times until the phone company told me that EarthLink had to fix the lines because they were the customer not me. Of course they did nothing. Ended up running a line from the 911 access on the phone box.

For the last 9 months been dealing with service working on average 4 hours a day and once a month a week with no service. Can't get my money back, they won't fix the lines and I keep getting generic answers and hour hold times just to get nowhere. By far the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with although they advertise US based impossible to call someone in the US. Do yourself a favor and never get their service. You'll just pay for something that never works at ridiculous prices. Worst company ever!

Earthlink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company has seen many changes in the ISP market over the past two decades. It was one of the leaders when dial-up was the fastest speed on the market. Today, dial-up remains the only option in many parts of the United States, and Earthlink offers unlimited access from anywhere in the nation.

• Low price: The dial-up service from Earthlink is about the lowest-priced ISP on the market today. Even its higher speed options are less expensive than the large providers.

• Satellite ISP: Even when there is no DSL or cable available in a region, Earthlink allows customers to get online using HughesNet Satellite connections.

• New services: Managed services for business and cloud provisioning are two areas where Earthlink is expanding to help small businesses compete on the global market.

• Best for: Small businesses and families who are outside cable and DSL coverage areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs