EarthLink

EarthLink
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

BOTTOM LINE

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

PROS

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

CONS

• Not available in every state

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: July 17, 2020

A couple days ago, I spoke with an associate named Kyle to have Earthlink internet installed. Kyle misheard the address and put CT instead of Ave. I told him it's Ave and he confirmed he made note of the mistake. He then told me I'd receive a text in the next few days confirming the date a technician would be available to come. I receive no text but instead, an email. It confirms the date for the 14th. On the 14th, I receive calls from different "Scam Likely" numbers but none from the technician. One call was from a stranger asking me my personal information and then saying that the technician went to his house instead. So not only did the first associate I spoke with never correct the address but the technician gave away my number to a person I don't know.

I call to have this issue corrected and the machine tells me they have an "internal outage" whatever that means and they connect me to an associate who proceeds to tell me the same thing and to call back in 3-4 hours. I called back from a different number about an hour and a half later and an associate answers and begins helping me with my problem. So I guess the "internal outage" was a lie. The associate told me to wait up to 48 hours to get a call back to have this issue corrected because she has to put in a request first. My father tells me to forget it and cancel the service.

I get transferred to the department in charge of that and speak with a man apologizing for the inconveniences. He offers to refund $40 for the troubles and tells me someone will contact me in 2 days to send someone else as a solution instead. I agree. Two days passed and no one contacted me. Today, the 17th, received a charge instead of a refund for the $40 followed by multiple emails. One telling me the refund request of $40 has been approved...the next one "thanking" me for my "payment" and finally, one telling me the service is being cancelled.

In short, Earthlink robbed us and charged us twice. $79 for the installation we never received and $40 that was supposed to be REFUNDED for all these inconveniences.. On top of everything, they cancel the service we never got without telling us anything until it was already done. Also, their emails say their support is available 24/7 yet their website says they're available until 8pm and their phone says they're available until 9 or 10 pm (depending which number you call - they have multiple numbers and two websites – a dot com and a dot net the dot net being the supposed official one).

If you call when they're "closed" a robot voice will still greet you saying they have significant call volume and that there is a long wait time and then tell you they are closed and hang up. Meaning that no matter what, they will say they are busy and put you on long holds for no reason. The emails aren't even encrypted leaving the clients vulnerable to having their information stolen. I can't even access my account because the website says "this function is temporarily unavailable". This company is completely unorganized and unethical. We will be taking action against them now.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Let me start by saying if I could give less than 1 star I would. As a long-standing customer, I am so disappointed in the service. I have had an ongoing, unresolved problem of sending and receiving emails and no one seems to be able to help. It is apparent to me that they do not have the technical knowledge to resolve the issue. I have logged over 150 emails to them and hours and hours of time talking to various people to no avail. In fact, the average wait time to get through to their "escalation team" is between one and one and one half hours. This shows me that I am not the only one having issues.

I have stressed that with the pandemic, email is essential but even this doesn't seem to help expedite a solution. At one point the CEO did send an email apologizing for a technical problem but he made it seem like it was fixed. Well, clearly, for me it is not. They also make it near impossible to talk to anyone with any real authority so you just get stuck with endless customer service reps. I am beyond disappointed in their lack of professionalism, expertise and compassion. My advice is to not consider them for ANYTHING unless you have a lot of time on your hands to try to solve an problem that won't get resolved!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2020

THIS IS GONNA BE LONG but Ive never wrote a review on here and legit just created an account to let everyone know to stay farrr away from this trash company. I got a flyer about a bundle promotion for internet with DISH. Ive been a LOyal Dish customer for 6 years and was like hmm, maybe I should give this a try. Firstly the representative gave me WRONG PRICES, WRONG INFORMATION with promising to have my dish bill reduced. My account was automatically deducted 79.95 before I even came off the phone with the guy. I immediately called back when I realized money had been taken out of the account and another representative told me that they are seeing nothing is being done to my dish account in regards to any promotions or prices. I told them I wanted my money back, I'm not even interested in trying you anymore because I never agreed to anything nor was I made aware of an 80$ installation fee.

They gave me a runaround of refunding then when they finally issued it they took the money right back out my account again. YES AGAINNNN!!!! I basically had to call my bank and freeze my acct, order new debit card and file claims with my bank. I am soooo pissed off. I will never in my life advise someone to even speak to this business. A totally JOKE. Yal should be shut ** down!!! DISGUSTING.

Original review: July 5, 2020

They charged me $15/month claiming they are a part of Spectrum, while it turned out I've been paying Spectrum and EarthLink at the same time. It's a robbery since I wasn't aware of any of the service they provide. It's really time for class action.

Original review: June 28, 2020

In signing for the service and right from the start I was never getting the speed I was promised. I spend it 3 months contacting them almost every day and they continue to claim that everything was fine and continued to disregard that proves I have that I wasn't getting it. I got tired of fighting with unreliable people that clearly don't even know what they are doing and let it go. Today the service crashed and their customers service center refused to answer call and the entire website and service are down without any warning. This company shouldn't be allowed to provide services and should be shut down completely if they are not honoring their contracts.

Original review: June 17, 2020

This company is the absolute worst. Took off work to meet with installer that never showed. I canceled the contract and was billed 3 months of service and a $200 termination fee for a service I never received. Hours on hold. Promises of callbacks from management to resolve my issues which never came. Friends do yourself a favor.. stay away from this company.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I'm an ongoing customer of Earthlink. In May I received my bill receipt and all the way at the bottom it stated that my bill would increase by $5.00, going from $39.95 to $44.95. There was nothing on my bill stating a reason for the increase so I decided to contact customer support using the chat function on the website. A rep by the name of, "James", told me that the increase in my bill was, "Due to rising costs in their business, they found it necessary to take this action." and it had been "several years since they conducted a price increase and they do not make those decisions lightly." He proceeded to tell me that since I had a concern, I could be excluded/revert me back to my old billing plan with immediate effect.

I didn't think that was fair since I'm not the only one whose bill will increase, why should I receive special treatment regarding my bill? Just because I had a concern for WHY it was being increased? It's not like my bill is increasing and so is the speed of my DSL internet (if only that were true). My bill is just higher and I still have the same inconsistent speeds. When I questioned him further about the increase, asking if it was due to Covid pandemic, he said no. He just repeated that it was due to the rising costs in their business and the increase would, "affect all Earthlink customers or just those with DSL." All customers OR just those with DSL? So not only did I not get a clear answer for the increase in my bill but they're pretty much picking whose bill will be increased and who won't? That didn't sit right with me and it still doesn't.

Original review: May 29, 2020

This is by far the worst company I have ever been with. They did not give me the service we agreed to, they are taking forever to disconnect my lines so I can go to a different company, and I am on the brink of losing my job because I work from home. I have told them this and all they can say is that is nothing they can do. I would never recommend them to anyone even if it is the last Internet company on earth!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2020

They over sell product, gave me a two hour block, no showed me 3 times. Every time I called because of the no shows I was put on hold frequently because not sure what to do and then told me to wait until end of day because running behind at 8pm. They close at 6pm. So had to wait until the next day to call because they didn’t show up! Called the last time to ask for refund! The customer service team is not aware of what’s going on. I believe their costumer service team is overseas as they are hard to understand! The communication is horrible! DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: March 10, 2020

We switched to EarthLink about two years ago, and it has been such an effortless experience. We called, they helped us determine the right plan, the installer showed up when they said they would, and we haven't had to think about it much since. We also have email with them, and I love knowing it's secure, unlike Gmail or Yahoo. All around, great, easy experience.

EarthLink Company Information