3.2/5 (245 ratings)

About EarthLink

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

Pros

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

EarthLink internet services

To get started with EarthLink, visit its website and enter some information on your internet usage habits and where you live. If EarthLink is available in your area, a representative will reach out to you.

EarthLink offers two customizable high-speed internet services for commercial and individual use: dial-up internet service and HyperLink, EarthLink’s premier internet service.

EarthLink has internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no throttling or data limits. The company also has comprehensive customer service with an online self-help portal, live online chat and 24/7 phone support.

Customers receive multiple perks when they sign up for internet services with EarthLink, including:

• Access to eight email addresses
  • 10 additional anonymous email addresses
  • Virus and spam detection and protection

EarthLink security

EarthLink’s security software, called EarthLink Protect, allows you to partner with NortonLifeLock to detect potential threats on your devices and protect your personal information. EarthLink Protect offers:

• Real-time protection against ransomware, viruses and malware
  • Dark web monitoring
  • Parental control add-ons

EarthLink internet prices

EarthLink doesn’t disclose much information about pricing on its website, but it does state that residential internet plans start at $49.95 a month. The cost of your internet service varies based on what speed you want and where you live. To get an accurate quote, call EarthLink’s customer service phone number for more detailed information.

EarthLink Protect, the company’s device security and online privacy software, has two levels of protection for different monthly costs: EarthLink Protect starts at $7.95 a month, and EarthLink Protect+ starts at $9.95 a month.

EarthLink FAQ

Where is EarthLink available?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose its geographic availability on its website, but the company partners with local internet service providers to offer service in most states. To find out if EarthLink is available in your city or state, visit its website and enter your address.
How much is EarthLink per month?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose comprehensive cost information on its website, but it does state that residential internet service plans start at $49.95 a month. For more detailed information on EarthLink’s prices, contact a company representative.
What type of internet is EarthLink?
EarthLink offers two different types of internet: dial-up and HyperLink.
Who is EarthLink owned by?
Trive Capital is EarthLink’s parent company. Trive Capital purchased EarthLink in 2019.

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Read some of these reviews, and they sound so much of what I went through that I had to make sure I hadn't written it. Here's mine: Told Fiber to our home. Charged $80 for install. ATT guy comes out and says we don't get fiber, here. It's only to their junction box, and then to all the homes from this junction box. Which is NOT the same thing that they told/sold us. Low speed. They lied. Then they said, well, you have Apple products, so therefore you need more bandwidth. Really?? We told them we had Apple products prior to signing up with them; never said a word at that time. Now, they want us to sign up for even more speed at a higher cost. Oh, sure. Also, told us our first payment due would be the following month after install.

They took $60 out of our bank account three days after install. I was told we had 30 days to cancel if we were not satisfied with service, and would receive full refund of install. And just so we're clear, THEY didn't offer this information to me. I had to ask them about satisfaction and opportunity to cease service. Today, we cancelled, and they now tell us we do NOT get full refund of install. Further, you'll be pushed to some foreign country, helped by someone who's difficult to understand, and allegedly has limited ability to approve matters, such as above. Oh, did I forget to mention that when you choose to cancel, you'll be on hold for an HOUR AND A HALF before they put you through to their so-called cancellation department. What a schlock outfit they run. I wouldn't trust these people if they offered free service for a year, in writing. Letting our bank handle these liars.

EarthLink response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, William. We’re very sorry for the trouble you experienced. It seems there were a few things during sign up that weren’t clearly communicated, and we apologize. If you have any questions about your account or if there’s anything we can do to change your mind, please call our customer support team (we’ll send you the contact info in a private message), and they’ll be happy to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

OMG!!! Where do I begin???? EarthLink has the most ** up customer service ever!!! Let me count the ways in which they ** us over!

#1

I called to get an extension to pay my bill at a later date. The agent told me to call back on Dec 2nd which was 10 days after my bill was due to get an extension. On Dec 1st my service got cut off. I had to speak to 2 agents on the phone before they turned it back on. When I got my next bill, there was a charge for that disconnection that was the agent’s fault. I talked to agents on the phone but none waived it for me.

#2

You can’t trust an agent who tells you to call back later than 8 days after your bill is due to get a payment extension because if you do listen to them and your service gets cut off you will have to pay that disconnection fee even if it was the agent’s fault!!!! This has happened to me because I listened to an agent and nobody gave a ** afterwards!!!! Your service gets cut off on the ninth day after your bill is due. Sometimes they’ll send you an email saying you have a 12 or 13 day grace period. You won’t always get this email. If you don’t get this email, you have 8 days to pay. They never sent this email when my service got cut off on the ninth day because the agent told me to call back 10 days after my bill was due for a payment extension.

#3

They say you have a 10 day grace period, but they count the day your bill is due as the first day and the service gets cut off early in the morning on the “10th” day which is actually the 9th day, so you have eight days to pay, which is actually an eight-day grace period.

#4

When I tried to make a partial payment on my bill with a gift card, it wouldn’t go through online or on the phone. The agent on the phone said if you make a partial payment your service could get cut off so she made another payment extension over the one I already had to secure my service. Even after doing this it still would not take the partial payment. I had used the gift card earlier that day on another bill and it worked fine and I knew without a doubt there was money on the card because I checked the balance before I tried to pay EarthLink. It’s just EarthLink don’t want to take my payment. And why would you make it difficult for someone to make a partial payment???? All of it adds up. They want all or nothing which is ridiculous!!!!

#5

I got the highest internet speed they offer and it continuously buffers nearly everyday which is annoying!

#6

One day they cut my service off days before my payment was due, early in the morning. Had to wait nearly two hours for them to open so I could talk to an agent. Stayed on the phone for about an hour and got it turned back on. Didn’t offer any courtesy discounts.

#7

Sometimes my bill is $1 to $2 more. They don’t tell you what the hidden fees are.

#8

You can only get 3 to 4 payment extensions at a time. After that you have to wait 90 days to be able to get another one, even if you’ve been making your payments by the extension date.

#9

They’ll only let you get a two week payment extension. No longer than that. If you need more time you’re SOL (** out of luck).

#10

Their technicians are unreliable. The technician never showed up for a repair and never called. Waisted hours waiting on them. Our internet started working again afterwards so didn’t call back for a repair.

I can go on and on about this but how many characters will they let me write in this review???? I hate EarthLink! They are so unprofessional and don’t value their customers at all!!!! I’m tired of the stress from dealing with them. It’s one of the most terrible services I’ve ever had to deal with!

EarthLink response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, Tanjenika. We're sincerely sorry for the issues you experienced with payment and your service, and for the frustration they caused. We'd like to help — please call our Executive Relations team (we sent you a direct message with their contact info), and they will be happy to look into this further. If we can help with anything else, please let us know at 888-327-8454.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

If I could give to them 0 stars I would. My internet kept went out several times and usually took hours and one time two to three days in order to restore my service. I got this service with EBB program and my understanding was it was $49.95 but they got a credit $50 and there's also supposed to be $100 towards equipment yet they charge me $9.95 a month added up and within 4 months terminated my service at which time they wanted a $200 termination fee to bring my bill to 228.95 for free program for only September, October and November of 2021. I made numerous phone calls different agents and got nowhere at all even to the point where they would even put me on hold for an obscene amount of time to wait for a supervisor.

They were hoping I'd hang up and one time they actually turned my phone off. I don't know how they do it or how they have the access to do it but they turned my phone off. It went completely off. My phone was charged at 51% and all sudden it cut off while I was on hold. There's something wrong with that and there's something wrong with this company.

EarthLink response

Debra, we’re very sorry for the trouble you’ve experienced! We’d like to help. We sent a private message with the number for our Executive Relations team — they’ll be happy to work with you to get this resolved. If we can help with anything else, please let us know. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I spoke with a rep about getting 1 gig fiber internet and was told I was going to have a dedicated line and an installation fee of $80 to get it installed, Att installer comes out and installs the internet and says that fiber is not available in my area and left me with 18megs, I call Earthlink and let them know what I was told and they tell me that the sales rep made a mistake that fiber is not available in my area, so I asked for a refund because I did not get what I paid for and was told that I received "fiber based" internet and that I could not get a refund, this place is a scam. People stay away.

EarthLink response

We sincerely apologize for your experience and the frustration it’s caused, Fidel. Our Executive Relations Team will be happy to look into this further and see what they can do to help — we sent you a direct message with their contact info. If we can help with anything further, please reach out to us at 888-327-8454.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I asked for a quote, got a quote and said I'm going to do some shopping around. The rebuttal was "would you like me to call you in an hour?". I said "no, I'll give you a call if I'm interested after shopping around" and I was hung up on. Completely unprofessional. I spoke to a supervisor, like a Karen, and he was as nice as could be. Altogether the initial interaction turned me off. Very unprofessional.

EarthLink response

David, we apologize for your experience. We'll share your feedback with our team and use the learning for training, so this doesn't happen going forward. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, and please let us know if there is anything we can do to turn your experience around. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I got internet with them but was given the wrong speed. I asked the fastest internet they have but was given the slowest. Then I called to upgrade and was told next week you should have it. Still waiting. And it’s been a week and a half. And the internet randomly goes down to 2 mbps. Stay away from this company. They lie to you.

EarthLink response

Omar, we’re sorry for the speed issues you’ve been experiencing. We’d like to look into what’s going on and see how we can help. If you’d like, give our Executive Relations Team a call and they’ll be happy to assist (we sent you the contact info in a private message).

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

They got 1 number wrong in my address, and I found that out when a technician arrived at my door on 12.16.2021. I called EarthLink to edit the address, so that they could continue my installation. THEY COULD NOT RESOLVE THIS SIMPLE TASK. They wasted hours of my time, and the 2 Technicians that came to my address. They could not do the install and were unable to help. They could not change one simple number on my address, because they typed in the wrong address.... And they only offered me 15.00 credit....for 3 PEOPLE's TIME!!! RIDICULOUS!!!

EarthLink response

Gregory, we’re sorry for the trouble you experienced and for the inconvenience it caused. We’d like to take a closer look and get this resolved. If you’d like, call our Executive Relations Team at the number we sent you in a direct message — they’ll be happy to help.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

A month ago I switched to Earthlink for high-speed internet. When I initially searched reviews of Earthlink I only saw that they had won "awards" for customer service. Guess I should have looked closer as perhaps the award was for the worst customer service!! From the day I signed up, to the first billing period, I had to get a new bank card. When they did the autopay of course I was notified it failed. That very evening I resolved the issue.

Since Dec. 1/2021, Earthlink has been bothering me about nonpayment. I sent a picture of my bank statement SHOWING THEM the $125 payment. They keep saying they haven't received it. What has prompted me to write this review is that once again I get another call from their autodialer system. I have hung up on it several times after waiting with no sound whatsoever for several minutes. As I write this I have listened to total silence for the last 21 minutes!!!! The longer I wait the angrier I am becoming!! I guess my wasted time by Earthlink doesn't mean squat to them. It's totally disrespectful of the customer!

I have read through some of the other negative reviews and see at times Earthlink will apologize for "letting them down," or "missing the mark!" But in my book, those apologies are nothing but another slap in the face by Earthlink to the customer, since I doubt very much they took any action to resolve the situation. One person mentioned that Earthlink basically stole $200 from them when the company wouldn't respond to their request for $200!! It has now been 25 minutes since their annoying call came in. Once someone answers I will tell them to hold on for the same amount of my time they wasted!!!! I will be "very busy" doing something and they'll just have to wait!!

About 5 years ago I was with Cox, but their network in Wichita was very outdated, and several outages. Then two years ago I went to ATT on a promo. The very first night I called in for some tech support. Somehow my plan amount came up and discovered I was going to be charged three times the agreed-upon contract!!! It took nearly 5 hours of phone time to get what I signed up for. Then about every three months, I'd get a notice of a large rate increase!! I had to keep fighting them to honor the original one-year contract. I then switched back to Cox for their Gigablast service. In over a year's time, I NEVER received even half the speed I paid for. In the last two months I was with them there were numerous partial service outages. I will say that the customer service was good, but I needed constant service at the contracted speed.

Now I went to Earthlink and have received another MAJOR disappointment!! It is extremely aggravating that these big companies want our money, but fail to provide the service at the level you are paying for! It's criminal. I am now done with this review and have been listening to silence for 36 minutes. I am close to saying to HELL WITH EARTHLINK!!! PS: Earthlink, DO NOT note this review with an apology!!!! That would be an extreme insult!! I only want action and resolution!! PERIOD!!

EarthLink response

Scott, would you mind sending us your account number and/or the email address associated with your account in a private message so we can take a closer look at what's going on? We’d like to help get this resolved.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I ordered Hi Speed Internet, because I was tired of spending $75/month with Spectrum / Charter. Well, it was determined that installation wasn't going to happen. I paid $80 upfront for Installation. Earthlink never refunded my $80. I've been working on getting this refund for almost a year. Earthlink is very difficult to get a hold of. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. No matter how much your Hi Speed Internet is, stick with it. Don't switch to Earthlink.

EarthLink response

Terry, we're sorry for the trouble you've experienced! We sent you the contact info for our Executive Relations team in a private message — they'll be happy to look into this situation and get it resolved. If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

After a twenty minute conversation with Vanita about signing up I felt the sales pitch was strong but the delivery failed. The cost was high and the service was slow. I was told no one else serviced the area and that make me think. I went with a competitor as it was cheaper with faster service. So they lied in the first 20 minutes of communication.

EarthLink response

Christopher, thank you for your interest in EarthLink. We do our best to provide new customers with the most accurate information, but we fell short in this case, and we're sorry about that. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, our team is investigating this instance to make sure that it isn't repeated going forward.

EarthLink Company Information