3.8/5 (568 ratings)

About EarthLink

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

Pros

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

EarthLink internet services

To get started with EarthLink, visit its website and enter some information on your internet usage habits and where you live. If EarthLink is available in your area, a representative will reach out to you.

EarthLink offers two customizable high-speed internet services for commercial and individual use: dial-up internet service and HyperLink, EarthLink’s premier internet service.

EarthLink has internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no throttling or data limits. The company also has comprehensive customer service with an online self-help portal, live online chat and 24/7 phone support.

Customers receive multiple perks when they sign up for internet services with EarthLink, including:

• Access to eight email addresses
  • 10 additional anonymous email addresses
  • Virus and spam detection and protection

EarthLink security

EarthLink’s security software, called EarthLink Protect, allows you to partner with NortonLifeLock to detect potential threats on your devices and protect your personal information. EarthLink Protect offers:

• Real-time protection against ransomware, viruses and malware
  • Dark web monitoring
  • Parental control add-ons

EarthLink internet prices

EarthLink doesn’t disclose much information about pricing on its website, but it does state that residential internet plans start at $49.95 a month. The cost of your internet service varies based on what speed you want and where you live. To get an accurate quote, call EarthLink’s customer service phone number for more detailed information.

EarthLink Protect, the company’s device security and online privacy software, has two levels of protection for different monthly costs: EarthLink Protect starts at $7.95 a month, and EarthLink Protect+ starts at $9.95 a month.

EarthLink FAQ

Where is EarthLink available?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose its geographic availability on its website, but the company partners with local internet service providers to offer service in most states. To find out if EarthLink is available in your city or state, visit its website and enter your address.
How much is EarthLink per month?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose comprehensive cost information on its website, but it does state that residential internet service plans start at $49.95 a month. For more detailed information on EarthLink’s prices, contact a company representative.
What type of internet is EarthLink?
EarthLink offers two different types of internet: dial-up and HyperLink.
Who is EarthLink owned by?
Trive Capital is EarthLink’s parent company. Trive Capital purchased EarthLink in 2019.

EarthLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

DSL wasn't working so called Cust Svc. Polite - but very hard to understand - rep promised to ship modem to me. Received wrong modem, Called again. 2nd rep will ship 2nd modem to me. Soon received 2nd AND 3rd modems! Called for install help & was told that my service was down, & original modem was ok. 3rd rep said he would send return label for 3 modems. No label received. Called again, another promise to send return label. Finally received TWO labels. Called again & was told to put all 3 modems in a bigger box, affix 1 label to box & drop at UPS. Did so. UPS says box delivered. Now I'm being billed for all modems, and an "expedite" fee which I told rep I didn't want. This is ridiculous. I'm very close to dropping Earthlink. Other issue is heavy accent of support people. I have to constantly ask them to repeat, & still can't understand them.

Hello,

We are very sorry to hear that you have had some issues with modems, service, as well as issues with being able to understand the customer service agents. We are glad to hear that the customer service agents were polite, but we defiantly want to get this issue resolved. I am going to send you a direct message so that we can get his issue resolved swiftly.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Horrible customer service! I do not recommend them due to poor customer service and ridiculous contract and waste of time (install takes forever when other companies can do it in one day/ you'll be on the phone with customer service hours). I spoke to four agents and got nowhere until I spoke to a manager. The customer service agents do not speak English and hard to understand. Waste of time!!!

You are bound to a contract even if you move address. There is no way to transfer your contract/account to another location (they will charge a hefty cancellation fee so if you do sign up ask about it). Do not sign up for EarthLink you will most definitely regret it!!! They also use other services outside their network like ATT. I was informed that they had fiber in Fair Oaks but ATT techs are the ones that actually check the issues. They tap into other companies line.

EarthLink response
Hello Diana, I'm very sorry for any confusion but we only utilize AT&T's infrastructure to provide our services. The services the customer receive are not AT&T service and because we utilize their lines they prefer that their technicians continue to service them and perform any installations needed.

Our terms and conditions are read to every customer at the point of sale and in order to proceed with your order you must agree to those terms. We do have a 12 month contract with an ETF of $200.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

So pretty much EarthLink has stolen 80 dollars from me and now I have to wait 24-48 with no internet because they need to review their own negligence which was told to me by a supervisor. My advice just don't do it. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Hello Destiny,

I am sorry that it looks like we overcharged you 80.00, and unfortunately you have no internet at this time. With the little information that I have to go on I am going to send you a direct message so that I can take a closer look into what happened, so that this does not happen again in the future. I also would like to see what we can do to make this wrong, right. Again, we apologize that we overcharged and then your internet was turned off.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

When will Earthlink Mobile be able to give transfer pins to enable a cellular customer to port the number to Verizon. I've been trying for over a week and no one at Earthlink can give me any information. Can not tell me when- or if- problem be fixed. Will not tell me what problem is. Any help you can give is very appreciated-- call, text or smoke signal!! Thank you.

EarthLink response

Charles, thanks for reaching out and sharing your feedback. We’re sorry we missed the mark here, and we’ll definitely take it back to our team as a training opportunity. I’d like to get you to our Executive Relations team, a higher tier of support, to see if they can help you sort this out. We'll send you a private message on how to reach them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Tried calling Earthlink "Customer Support" line 888-327-8454 to complain that my autopay rates are regularly increased by 20-25% without any pre-notice. I got a health monitoring device marketing recording when I clicked on option 1 "Older than 55" and, after I called back and clicked option 2 "Younger than 55" it just disconnected. Past experience is also horrible support and "customer service." This is without fail the most unprofessional company in the field!

EarthLink response

Beatrix, we're so sorry for the experience you had, but EarthLink doesn't have a health monitoring question or inquire about our customers' ages as part of our phone system. I'd still like to get you some help in addressing your billing issue, so I'm sending you a private message on here with the access information for our Executive Relations team (a higher level of support) so they can get this sorted out for you. Thanks for being an EarthLink customer!

Resolution response: Aug. 1, 2022

After filing a complaint against Earthlink they contacted me within one business day and will be refunding the money. They were efficient in resolving this issue so I will upgrade the company now to 3 stars for doing the right thing.

Original review: July 28, 2022

My Father Passed away on June 14th 2022. On July 28th 2022 I discovered he was being charged for 20 yrs for a personal email account. Predatory is what I think taking advantage of the elderly comes to mind. But when settling his credit card statement I saw this charge and called immediately. (Less than 60 days from his death) I called to report his passing and to request a refund of the payment they took after he died. They told me I should have reported his death when he passed and that they cannot refund the money but would be happy to waive the fee for July.

This is unacceptable behavior. I had no idea this company was charging my father for a personal email for 20 years let alone, did I have the opportunity to report his passing within the billing time frame. They were based out of South Africa and said this is their company policy but would waive July payment. How can you collect on anything after someone dies. All other accounts not only forgave the debt but refunded the interest from the date he passed. As far as I am concerned EarthLink took advantage of my father for 20 years and behaved like a dead many still has to pay for his email until it's cancelled. I cancelled the account of course but what in the world is this nonsense. No refund will be issued.

EarthLink response

Sandy, we are so sorry for your loss and for this experience. Please know this is not how we do business. I'm sending you a private message on here to reach our executive Relations team (a higher level of support) to see what we can do to make this right. We're also passing along the details you shared here to our customer service team for future training opportunities.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Well I just got off the phone with one of their sales associates named Anne. Now when I had dealt with Anne she was polite and professional. What I really dislike about a company is when I'm told that I'd be placed on hold for a moment then transferred to another dept to see if they can help me a little more then abruptly hung up on .... I could understand if she had stated there wasn't anything else they could do and then just ended the call there but it kinda seems dirty doing things the way she did it her way.

EarthLink response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Patrick. We missed the mark here in providing you with outstanding service, and we’re sorry about that. We’ve shared your feedback with our team to improve our training. We're also sending you a private message if you'd like to speak with someone from our Executive Relations team (a higher level of support) to see if there's anything we can do to help from here. Again, please accept our apologies.

Original review: July 26, 2022

First experience with EarthLink, charged $166 a month. Haven't even been a customer for 2 months. Been without internet almost 2 weeks now. Today is actually day 12. No updates, just told cell tower down. No estimated time to be resolved. Had to leave my home to go to someone else's house to use their internet because could not work from home. Calling everyday to find out what's going on. Calls been disconnected multiple times and automatically sent to an automated survey. Well that's the wrong time to send someone to provide a survey. So frustrated, so dissapointed. I'm paying almost 3 times more for lesser service than when I was paying ATT $60 for Fiber Optic. Worst experience ever.

EarthLink response

Thanks for sharing your experience. We apologize for the issues you're having. We're also sending you a private message if you'd like to speak with someone from our Executive Relations team (a higher level of support) to see if there's anything we can do to help from here.

Original review: July 20, 2022

The customer service was fine but was a little hard to understand, but cost is high and not good for gaming as I was told most of son's games won't even load. Can't do anything requiring a lot of speed. A bit deceptive on how good the speed are.

EarthLink response

Robert, we'd love to look into this for you to see how we can improve your experience. I'm sending you a direct message with some details for our Tier 3 Support Team (a higher level of support) to see if they can help with the speed issues. We’re sorry again about the inconvenience, and we hope to better serve you in the future. Thank you for being an EarthLink customer.

Original review: July 8, 2022

They charged us $70 for "45 MBPS" and $9 for modem fees. Neither of these numbers matches up with their site. I called to ask them if it was MegaByte or Megabit and she laughed and said they were the same thing... I asked because we were getting 80 Mbps so nothing was lining up. I don't think she understood, but she said I'm getting Megabit. This is a ridiculous amount of money for 45 Mbps. Their website sucks and doesn't give you any info that you actually need. You have to call to do anything with your account. I don't recommend it.

EarthLink response

Koby, thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience. We'd like to get to the bottom of what may be happening with your internet speed, so we'll send you a private message on here with the contact information for our Executive Relations team, a higher level of support.

Megabits in Mbps are typically what's used to measure internet speed, so we'll also take that back to our team as a training opportunity. Again, our apologies, and thanks for being an EarthLink customer.

EarthLink Company Information