1.13/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Earthlink

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

445 Earthlink Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Used Earth link years ago and decided to try them again despite the 1 STAR ratings (RED FLAG, I know). They immediately withdrew the required deposit from my account but 5 days later, NO notification of when service would be installed so I called them. Given date between 11am and 1pm. Although I called them twice this day, several hours apart, (the reply was always, 'We're running 2 hrs behind'). At MIDNIGHT still a No Call, No Show.

The following day when I called, the answer was 'Techs don't work on the weekend but I promise to call you on Monday at 8am to follow-up 'til you have internet.' On Monday @ 9:30 am, nothing... Called corporate and spoke to 'James' who was as arrogant as one could get. He told ME: 1) "They called but you didn't answer." 2) "You weren't at home". 3) 'You must have given them the wrong address...LIES, ALIBIS, and ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. In my opinion, Keep what you've got or keep looking!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I started with Earthlink email years ago as the internet got started. It's bad, not user friendly, slow and difficult to navigate. For nearly 20 years I paid them a little over $20 a month for the service! About 8 years ago my account was overrun with spam. Nothing I did could make it stop. Contact with EarthLink went nowhere. But customer service is so bad I continued to pay as I shifted my contacts over to a different company and moved important emails. In order to shut down your account you have to call, fax or snailmail a request.

The first time I called to shut down my account the representative told me the computers were down. The second time I called it took 40 minutes, 2 representatives and some strong words to convince the person I did not want anything other than to get away. They claimed I would be able to access the account, and retrieve the confirmation of account cancellation, until the end of the month. Not true. I immediately got shut out, so I'm just going to have to watch my credit card to make sure they stop charging me. In conclusion: Customer service is beyond bad, and the email service is way worse than Yahoo or Gmail which you get for free. Don't use this company!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

For the last couple of weeks, ever since Earthlink tried to improve their spam blocking, most of my regular emails are going into the Known Spam folder. It took 6 days of trying with tech support before I was finally able to speak to a Level 2 and then Level 3 "executive level" help. The Level 3 was much worse than the Level 2 but neither one had any interest in helping the customer.

They said all the (many) companies who are email me, whose email now goes to Known Spam, have "non-secure servers" and I was supposed to contact all of them and have them update their servers. They denied that there was ANY problem with Earthlink services. I asked for a work-around and was told there was none. I asked if Earthlink was going to find a solution and was then told "maybe next week". Which means they do actually recognize that it is a problem. Dealing with Earthlink now is a massive waste of my time. They did not care at all that I was ready to cancel my account.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Like other reviewers, in the past maybe 6 months, I continuously receive spam emails despite the fact that I have the highest security level set and they're not in my address book. I've spent hours troubleshooting with tech support, even the highest Tier 3, to no avail. In fact, the Tier 3 Level (in the U.S.) have absolutely no interest in solving the problem at all--much more so than the lower tier techs in India. An absolute waste of time talking to them. Really can't understand why they have no interest in addressing the problem--maybe email service doesn't generate enough revenue? Who knows. Very disappointed because like others, I've had the service for many years and didn't want to have to change. Tired, though, of trying to block each domain that bypasses address book, only to have more come in.

Original review: July 21, 2019

EarthLink is the worst internet provider I have any experience with. We have service with Dish Network and they sent us to EarthLink. They are horrible and unreliable. All of our devices we have linked with internet have experienced lag and no connection a daily basis. My family has grown use to the fact the internet will stop working throughout the day and they have learned how to accept it. This EarthLink company needs to be shut down for fraud and refund our money back...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: July 12, 2019

EarthLink is a paid email provider. Very frustrating to have pop up adds that actually block about 1/3 of the text of the email you are reading. I have sent EarthLink "customer service" an email about this issue...no response. PIA to change email address but I am starting to change mine!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I’ve had Earthlink email for 20 years. Didn’t want the hassle of switching all my contacts to Gmail- but no longer! Over the last couple of months their “spam filter” has been nonexistent. I get at least 30 spam emails a day in my inbox, and they are not from addresses in my contacts. According to tech support they are “working” on the problem. Yeah, right. Do not use this company.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have been with Earthlink for over 20 years. Time to look for another. Their spam filter is nonexistent. For various reasons I have 6 email addresses. Each day all the addresses get the same ridiculous spam. So I try to ban it. Even that doesn't work. Today I got 10 spams in my spam box in one account and 25 mixed in with my regular emails. They couldn't filter out spam even if the sender marked "spam" in the header. I'm look for another service.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have used Earthlink for e-mail for many years. Service has been so-so and I only kept the e-mail address because of its longevity. Several days ago I received a card in the mail telling me I owe them $49 for a web hosting account that I did not even know existed. They say this must be paid or they will send me to collections! Have spent hours on the phone to try finding out what this is about and they won't tell me anything unless I can give them the last four digits of the credit card used to set this up, or the password. How can I provide that information?

I have been transferred four times to four different individuals who are unable to tell me anything. How can I provide information about an account for which I have no knowledge? All of these people are outside the country and seem to be following some kind of rigid script. Even if I wanted to pay this $49 amount, they say that I cannot unless I give them verifying information. This is hands down the single worst customer experience I have ever had. This nightmare is still not resolved and it looks like I will be sent to collections for an account I have no knowledge of. Recommend staying away from this company.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Time for Class Action Lawsuit! I am a 21 year subscriber to EarthLink services, first as my ISP, and currently, as my email services provider. Each of my 5 paid email accounts had a webpage associated with it, which I used for several personal and professional webpages, and online storage. After I discovered that all my websites were down, and a week of fruitless calls to (foreign) Customer service without any help, I directly contacted the EarthLink Corporate EVP Of Customer Service. After several rounds of communications with her, my sites were restored... but not my access to the FTP server where my files are stored, so that I could no longer maintain or update my sites.

After double checking that I had the right passwords and protocols to access the FTP server, I stumbled across an EarthLink FAQ describing the discontinuation of these webpage services, and the immediate locking out of the FTP site. WHY WOULD I, AS A PAYING CUSTOMER IN GOOD STANDING FOR 21 YEARS, NOT HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED OF SUCH A CHANGE TO MY ACCOUNT?!? Why would I have to find this out by accident, and be intentionally misled for a week by the EVP?!?

This is all happening while I was in direct communication with the Corporate Executive Vice President... who never answered my questions nor revealed any of this information to me- fully knowing that I had just spent the past week banging my head against their so-called Customer Service incompetence, trying to figure out what was going on... while she knew it all along!?

So, while I paid for these services, EarthLink surreptitiously removed my active webpages, then, locked me out from accessing the FTP server containing files THAT ARE MY PROPERTY! ALL WITH ZERO NOTICE TO THE PAYING CLIENT! This demonstrates an appalling lack of candor, integrity, and professionalism. Under no circumstances will I remain a customer of Earthlink. Under no circumstances should anyone consider using their ‘services’. They are completely untrustworthy and disingenuous,

Earthlink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company has seen many changes in the ISP market over the past two decades. It was one of the leaders when dial-up was the fastest speed on the market. Today, dial-up remains the only option in many parts of the United States, and Earthlink offers unlimited access from anywhere in the nation.

• Low price: The dial-up service from Earthlink is about the lowest-priced ISP on the market today. Even its higher speed options are less expensive than the large providers.

• Satellite ISP: Even when there is no DSL or cable available in a region, Earthlink allows customers to get online using HughesNet Satellite connections.

• New services: Managed services for business and cloud provisioning are two areas where Earthlink is expanding to help small businesses compete on the global market.

• Best for: Small businesses and families who are outside cable and DSL coverage areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs