1.13/5

441 Earthlink Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

EarthLink is the worst internet provider I have any experience with. We have service with Dish Network and they sent us to EarthLink. They are horrible and unreliable. All of our devices we have linked with internet have experienced lag and no connection a daily basis. My family has grown use to the fact the internet will stop working throughout the day and they have learned how to accept it. This EarthLink company needs to be shut down for fraud and refund our money back...

Original review: July 12, 2019

EarthLink is a paid email provider. Very frustrating to have pop up adds that actually block about 1/3 of the text of the email you are reading. I have sent EarthLink "customer service" an email about this issue...no response. PIA to change email address but I am starting to change mine!

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I’ve had Earthlink email for 20 years. Didn’t want the hassle of switching all my contacts to Gmail- but no longer! Over the last couple of months their “spam filter” has been nonexistent. I get at least 30 spam emails a day in my inbox, and they are not from addresses in my contacts. According to tech support they are “working” on the problem. Yeah, right. Do not use this company.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have been with Earthlink for over 20 years. Time to look for another. Their spam filter is nonexistent. For various reasons I have 6 email addresses. Each day all the addresses get the same ridiculous spam. So I try to ban it. Even that doesn't work. Today I got 10 spams in my spam box in one account and 25 mixed in with my regular emails. They couldn't filter out spam even if the sender marked "spam" in the header. I'm look for another service.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have used Earthlink for e-mail for many years. Service has been so-so and I only kept the e-mail address because of its longevity. Several days ago I received a card in the mail telling me I owe them $49 for a web hosting account that I did not even know existed. They say this must be paid or they will send me to collections! Have spent hours on the phone to try finding out what this is about and they won't tell me anything unless I can give them the last four digits of the credit card used to set this up, or the password. How can I provide that information?

I have been transferred four times to four different individuals who are unable to tell me anything. How can I provide information about an account for which I have no knowledge? All of these people are outside the country and seem to be following some kind of rigid script. Even if I wanted to pay this $49 amount, they say that I cannot unless I give them verifying information. This is hands down the single worst customer experience I have ever had. This nightmare is still not resolved and it looks like I will be sent to collections for an account I have no knowledge of. Recommend staying away from this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Earthlink?

Original review: April 22, 2019

Time for Class Action Lawsuit! I am a 21 year subscriber to EarthLink services, first as my ISP, and currently, as my email services provider. Each of my 5 paid email accounts had a webpage associated with it, which I used for several personal and professional webpages, and online storage. After I discovered that all my websites were down, and a week of fruitless calls to (foreign) Customer service without any help, I directly contacted the EarthLink Corporate EVP Of Customer Service. After several rounds of communications with her, my sites were restored... but not my access to the FTP server where my files are stored, so that I could no longer maintain or update my sites.

After double checking that I had the right passwords and protocols to access the FTP server, I stumbled across an EarthLink FAQ describing the discontinuation of these webpage services, and the immediate locking out of the FTP site. WHY WOULD I, AS A PAYING CUSTOMER IN GOOD STANDING FOR 21 YEARS, NOT HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED OF SUCH A CHANGE TO MY ACCOUNT?!? Why would I have to find this out by accident, and be intentionally misled for a week by the EVP?!?

This is all happening while I was in direct communication with the Corporate Executive Vice President... who never answered my questions nor revealed any of this information to me- fully knowing that I had just spent the past week banging my head against their so-called Customer Service incompetence, trying to figure out what was going on... while she knew it all along!?

So, while I paid for these services, EarthLink surreptitiously removed my active webpages, then, locked me out from accessing the FTP server containing files THAT ARE MY PROPERTY! ALL WITH ZERO NOTICE TO THE PAYING CLIENT! This demonstrates an appalling lack of candor, integrity, and professionalism. Under no circumstances will I remain a customer of Earthlink. Under no circumstances should anyone consider using their ‘services’. They are completely untrustworthy and disingenuous,

Original review: April 20, 2019

Stay away from this company, they provide the worst internet service ever. Worst customer service. My internet worked half of the time for the price I was paying. Don’t do business with this company. Trust me. Look for someone else.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I have had a website with Earthlink for ~ 15 to 18 years, spent 1000's of hours creating and maintaining it. I used their "Trellix" platform for which they no longer use but told their customers they were grandfathered in and all would be ok. After spending tons of time and money sending out expensive advertising campaigns with this website address on my literature, I find my website is not even up and running. I contacted them between early March and late April 2019 several times.

First they said "It will be on Monday" then they said several weeks later "we are working on it, you are not the only one affected" and today it is still not on. I see others on this site were told something else. Not even a warning that would have alerted me and prevented me from wasting my money advertising my business on expensive pens, pads, mailings, and days of stuffing envelopes and the hit to the reputation of my brand. The broken link from various links I have to my website either says "this website has been migrated" or "this page no longer exists". I am actively searching for an attorney. If you are experiencing the same problem, please contact me at **. What they did to me is unacceptable and I will not just sit back and take it. I am going to fight them for damages. To this day, I have not even received an explanation, apology, or at least some type of compensation for their actions.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My password was hacked and changed, and the support person said it might have been computer generated, or a user did it... not me. So very unstable unsecured system. Don't use. They had to look up the new password, full of letters, numbers and random symbols so I could change it... but what is the use if my password can be changed so easily and no record of where that change came from. Since I have all my email forwarded to another account, I never use this account... So no one stole the info from my internet or wifi getting to this account.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have never written a review before but this is an emergency!! If you are even considering this company please don’t! I cannot describe to you how horrible this company is in every aspect! The customer service is absolutely horrible. You’re on hold for 30 minutes at least at a time in about five transfers. Later you still don’t have an answer to any of your questions. I have been without Internet for days even after I paid my bill and no one at all not even a supervisor will help me. I Can’t believe Dish network is using a company that is so terrible. I am going to have to switch to a different satellite or cable company as well because I am without Internet anyways. If they say it will be 24 hours and you will get a email confirmation please do not believe that because that is a lie!!! Spend your money elsewhere!! I honestly do not know how this company is still in business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

If this was not the only internet choice I have for my rural area, I would cancel my service. Everything about this company is wrong. Press 1 for English, only thing English about this option is the rep's name, because we would not be able to pronounce it otherwise. I have had nothing but bad experiences with this company right from the start. Horrible! Initially I called Dish for service, they transferred me to EarthLink (which, who, by the way, I thought was still Dish until the confirmation email came through, because they did not answer the line in a professional manner) for service set up, only to have AT&T come out & install my service!

Are you kidding? But AT&T does not provide service out here? You just send your techs out here for another company? Every time I call customer service for service, I am told they cannot help me at that time, I should try calling back in 2-3 hours! This company is a joke, hungry for our money. Please take my advice & go with any other service provider, even if it costs a little more, you will be glad you did. Or you can go with EarthLink and find out the hard way that they are a no good, horrible company to be with, you will regret choosing them soon! Customer beware!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have had Earthlink close to 20 years. At first I had the dial up service. It was great! But with all going to advanced technology thru cell phones, I no longer needed any internet services about 10 years ago. I cancelled the service but kept the email addresses. Now 10 years later they are calling me, emailing me and then locked me out of my email account because they say I owe them `15.00 for my mailbox. And once I pay that, they will unlock my mail box and charge me 8.00 a month for a email address! Why would anyone pay for a email address? It's free at Yahoo, Google, Gmail etc. They tell me it's because they have 24/7 techs to help with support. Support for what, I have a email box? Earthlink has really gone downhill. I told them to cancel my email and I went to Gmail. I hated changing but I am not going to pay for a mailbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

This company is terrible. They tagged on an additional 5.00 per month on my account without telling me and have been charging me for the past 5 years. Every month they send you a simple email that says you were charged (11.95 in my case) but they purposely don't give you a break down... Even when you click on it... you land on the main page not account charges... For 5 years they charged me without my authorization for buying Norton Antivirus... I never used it or downloaded it. WHAT A SCAM. Why the heck would I want to buy Norton from Earthlink for my computer... I just go to Norton. You don't go to home depot to buy milk... Right? STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCAMMERS.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been an Earthlink Web Mail customer for over 10 years. Incoming email hits the Earthlink inbound server and is instantly relayed to Gmail (All Good). However I have to wait 30 minutes to several (8) hours to display my mail in WebMail. More interesting, if I do a search I can display the mail header but can’t display the mail. I get a error message like "Mail is no longer on the server or has been removed or deleted". I called the help desk and after spending too much time, they basically pleaded Insanity.

Looking at the detailed headers you can see that the delayed mail is directly related to the difference in the timestamps on SMTP server before the Earthlink SMTP server and the timestamp of the Earthlink server. So if the previous time stamp is 2:00 PM and Earthlink timestamp is 5:00 PM then your mail will be delayed from reading by 3 hours. However it can be searched in the Earthlink Queue but not displayed. After explaining and testing and confirming the delay to Earthlink Service Desk, they plead Insanity. I have to go to Gmail to read my email in a timely fashion even though it is relayed from Earthink SMTP server. Strange!!! Why Earthlink won't fix the Problem, it’s been there for years.

Original review: July 26, 2018

They will tell you that your rate is locked for the term of the contract, but it's NOT. They hiked our rates 2 times in 2 years and a half. Calls are dropped all the time!!!! It's just a horrible service. I am stressed beyond belief with Earthlink/Windstream!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I signed up with Earthlink through Dish network and was guaranteed $35.99 for 1 year of service. 3 months later my bill went to almost $70. I made to go all the way to the corporate office to get an adjustment just to finish my contract. Now I only have 22 days left with the service and they charged my card over $60 and said, there will be no adjustment because I was only promised the original amount for another 6 months. This company is no better than Spectrum with the lying customer service. I don't recommend this service at all. They have the lowest speed offered for almost 3x the amount of everyone else.

Original review: May 15, 2018

It wasn't always terrible. I've had the provider for nearly 20 years. Pain that it is to change at this point, I am going to go through all those hoops (more work) in order to receive and process my email in a timely and efficient manner. Earthlink stalls, buffers and totally freezes on a page every time I log in these days. Any chance of reading an email is slaughtered by wildly blinking advertisements that don't give up. Only on the Earthlink site is my computer taken hostage by Mac Keeper, which renders any navigation null. I find myself calling myself names, like "stupid," because I actually PAY for this "service." I would recommend you do your own navigating away from Earthlink. A completely disgruntled customer.

Original review: May 13, 2018

EarthLink has great low cost internet service. When I used it the internet was reliable and had efficient speeds with not a lot of buffering or wait times for web pages to load.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Oh boy this was frustrating. I won't recommend Earthlink. My father's account fell into arrears because he had passed and I was scrambling to get his life in order. They sent it to collections and refused to do anything but tell me to pay the arrears and then pay the next payment. Really frustrating. I told them I would pay for a year's subscription if they backdated it to when the account lapsed and then waived the reinstatement fee. Or I would pay a year's membership from March forward, either way. They wouldn't work with me at all.

Every other company I have dealt with completely understood what happens when someone passes, the chaos and confusions it creates and every other company bent over backwards to help me. Earthlink, I talked to three customer service people, two of which were friendly but said they couldn't help me. The third was just a robot who was completely rude. It's unfortunate that such an amazing company as Earthlink started as, has declined so much.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

When I want the local internet service I ordered from EarthLink then EarthLink deal with local internet service provider Time Warner, of course when I cancel the service after few years I should cancel from EarthLink, right? However Spectrum (bill turn to Spectrum lately after Time Warner) still charged me, because EarthLink suppose notify my cancellation to Spectrum or tell me should call Spectrum but they did not do it. Now they said they cannot do anything and EarthLink does not even have billing department to handle this case, so just be careful use EarthLink internet cable service.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’ve been a customer of EarthLink since June, we moved from Missouri to Houston and transferred service to our temporary housing with no issue $69 installation fee which is understandable. We let them know it was temporary and would be transferring again after our house sold in MO. Now it’s time to set up service at our new home and all of the sudden a policy change happened requiring a $200 cancellation fee to move service. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This is the only company I know that tries to RIPOFF off their customers who try and STAY! I asked the rep to waive it and she said they should be able to and when she came back, she couldn’t. The supervisor CLOY and his supervisor FRED were adamant that this new policy was in the disclosures (never received) and there was nothing they could do about it. This company is unethical and does not care if they win or lose customers over $200 profit scheme! RUN away from this company and shame on ATT for associating themselves with unfair and abusive business practices.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I paid my bill early. My bill was 85$. l paid 70$ the customer rep assured me that the 16$ will roll over to next months bill. 5 days later my service is suspended. So l called to correct this. & they said I should've made the whole payment the first time. Now l have to pay a 200$ cancel fee & 60$ to get service again & sign a new contract... Literally this was out of the blue. If the worker would have gave me the right information the first time things wouldve went smoother. So my 70$ only got me 5 days of wifi. Here's the executive relations number... If you have Earthlink you will definitely need this 404815077 executive relations & Complaint Line. I just can't believe this company. This is sad... Just go to Charter Time Warner because this is not where you want to be. I would suggest going to AT&T U-verse but they Support Earthlink.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

When I first opened my account they took all my information then ask for my card information. I asked why. They told me for informational purposes. Since then me and this company have been going back and forth because they decided to start drawing off the card. I have several disputed charges with my bank. Now they turned my services off due non-payment. But they debited my account on the 29th of December. This company lies to get your service. Then you'll be going back and forth about unauthorized charges coming from you account.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I called EarthLink to transfer my service to a new location as I am moving. I was advised that I would be charged an early termination fee of $100 at my old location and $69.99 to install at my new location. In all my years of having service with different providers, I've NEVER heard of this nonsense. If I am still a customer with your company, why am I paying for an early termination fee??? I felt as if this is definitely some kind of scheme to make money off people. I request to speak with a supervisor after getting nowhere with the agent. At first, the supervisor wasn't helpful. He thought he could give me the web address and get me off the phone. I asked him where I could find what he was saying within the policy. He responded with an attitude saying, "It's in the policy, ma'am..." like I'm dumb or something.

I made him stay on the phone and asked him to point me in the right direction as to where I can find this information. He couldn't. But he was still going to charge me the $100 early termination fee. He even told me, "If there is something that we could do to waive this fee, we would." I had to take it as far as explaining to him WHY I was moving which is PERSONAL (and it shouldn't have gone that far) in order for him to do anything. He placed me on hold for about five minutes which gave me time to review their policy. I filtered and reviewed the terms on ETFs. The word 'early termination fee' was mentioned 14 times within the policy and there is not one mention of charges due to transferring service. The verbiage the supervisor was trying to use to explain why I was being charged the fee was that I was 'canceling' my service at the old address.

But that is not accurate. True, I'm moving so the service will no longer be at that address. But, I'm still going to have the SAME service as an EXISTING customer, only at a different location. So I didn't fall for that. Well in the end, after letting him know that my family attorney was waiting for my follow up on the matter, he waived the fee. So there was something you could do... Hmmm. In conclusion, I felt like I was being bamboozled and it took too much of a fight to get them to understand that I'm too smart to fall for the okeydoke.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had paid $140 for my service just to have them disconnect it 5 days later. I spoke to several representatives and they kept hanging up on me and giving me the runaround. Kept being told to wait 24 hours for 5 days and still no service. Now I was told that I need a new service and I have to wait 4 to 6 business days for someone to come to my house which means I have to miss work besides the work that I'm missing for them not reissuing my service and disconnecting it after I paid the money and it was taken out of my account the same day. Doesn't really seem like no one wants to help you in that company. Representatives pretend to be manager. They took my hundred and $40 the same day and I'm still waiting for an email confirmation.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

EarthLink is the worst service. They disconnected my internet after I paid them on Wednesday the day before Thanksgiving. They told me I would get my internet within 24 after calling them. They told me, "Oh we didn't remember it was an holiday. Your internet will be restored on Fri". When I called them they told, "There is no one here so you'll get your internet on Monday first thing in the morning. So Monday came. I called. They are now telling my line is inactive. I have to pay 70$ for a new line and I have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for them to come out.... since I had EarthLink it's nothing but problems. One time they put someone else Visa card on my account telling me if I don't know the last 4 numbers I can't pay my bill and it will be disconnected. I was like I can't tell you something I don't know. Needless to say it was hell. Another time they overcharge my card and now this... I'm telling do NOT ever get EarthLink. They are **.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I was promised internet service by 800 pm last night... it never arrived. They escalated the issue to a supervisor who contacted Verizon -- who is their vendor and they said Verizon said they didn't know what was wrong... OMG. Talk about horrible communication between Verizon and Earthlink! I am out 5 days of work because of their incompetence and false promises. Finally I learned about Straight Talk mobile hotspot internet service at Walmart. The internet box costs 50 bucks and it's 15 dollars per 1gb of service. As long as you aren't streaming movies it's ok... though it’s still cheaper to use a traditional service of course... Really mad that they strung me along, lied and then never delivered service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have never written a complaint on any company in my life, but I am today. I have had nothing but problems from day one with this company as to which Dish.net had referred me to and was told that AT&T did not service my area. Promised high-speed internet didn't deliver but meanwhile the technician that came to set it up said it was available but customer service wouldn't approve. Called several times for a tech to come and change modem due to modem not being compatible to dish (the ones that made the referral) they didn't know what I was talking about and refused to send tech out. Informed me that they would have to charge me $100 for tech to come out IF it wasn't there problem. An hour later no tech, no problem fixed only to tell me they tested modem and that 22 items were on my internet. NOT POSSIBLE!! RUN DON'T WALK FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Our business signed a 3 year contract with EarthLink. After receiving our first 2 bills, we realized that our monthly agreed upon amount was not what we are being billed for. We signed a contract for $ 317.00 per month, we are now getting billed for $ 451.00 per month. After a conversation with the customer service department, we discovered we are paying all kinds of fees and service costs. We cannot get out of the contract, and we have to pay the monthly amount, by the end of our contract, we will be paying over $500.00 when we thought it would be $317.00. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Earthlink sends me spam everyday all day. I have email accounts with 4 other providers who send NO spam. Based on the amount of spam Earthlink sends... I'm starting to think EarthLink is making money on spam. I call them the Spam Network.

Earthlink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company has seen many changes in the ISP market over the past two decades. It was one of the leaders when dial-up was the fastest speed on the market. Today, dial-up remains the only option in many parts of the United States, and Earthlink offers unlimited access from anywhere in the nation.

• Low price: The dial-up service from Earthlink is about the lowest-priced ISP on the market today. Even its higher speed options are less expensive than the large providers.

• Satellite ISP: Even when there is no DSL or cable available in a region, Earthlink allows customers to get online using HughesNet Satellite connections.

• New services: Managed services for business and cloud provisioning are two areas where Earthlink is expanding to help small businesses compete on the global market.

• Best for: Small businesses and families who are outside cable and DSL coverage areas.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs