3.7/5 (312 ratings)

About EarthLink

EarthLink is an internet service provider that offers customizable plans for residential and commercial needs as well as internet security software and digital marketing solutions for small businesses. Its premier service, HyperLink, gives you access to internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no data caps or teaser rates.

Pros

• Dial-up or HyperLink options
  • Home plans start at $49.95/month
  • Residential and commercial plans

Cons

• Not available in every state

Bottom Line

EarthLink offers residential and business internet services with speeds up to 1 Gbps. It also has digital marketing solutions and internet security products.

EarthLink internet services

To get started with EarthLink, visit its website and enter some information on your internet usage habits and where you live. If EarthLink is available in your area, a representative will reach out to you.

EarthLink offers two customizable high-speed internet services for commercial and individual use: dial-up internet service and HyperLink, EarthLink’s premier internet service.

EarthLink has internet speeds up to 1 Gbps with no throttling or data limits. The company also has comprehensive customer service with an online self-help portal, live online chat and 24/7 phone support.

Customers receive multiple perks when they sign up for internet services with EarthLink, including:

• Access to eight email addresses
  • 10 additional anonymous email addresses
  • Virus and spam detection and protection

EarthLink security

EarthLink’s security software, called EarthLink Protect, allows you to partner with NortonLifeLock to detect potential threats on your devices and protect your personal information. EarthLink Protect offers:

• Real-time protection against ransomware, viruses and malware
  • Dark web monitoring
  • Parental control add-ons

EarthLink internet prices

EarthLink doesn’t disclose much information about pricing on its website, but it does state that residential internet plans start at $49.95 a month. The cost of your internet service varies based on what speed you want and where you live. To get an accurate quote, call EarthLink’s customer service phone number for more detailed information.

EarthLink Protect, the company’s device security and online privacy software, has two levels of protection for different monthly costs: EarthLink Protect starts at $7.95 a month, and EarthLink Protect+ starts at $9.95 a month.

EarthLink FAQ

Where is EarthLink available?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose its geographic availability on its website, but the company partners with local internet service providers to offer service in most states. To find out if EarthLink is available in your city or state, visit its website and enter your address.
How much is EarthLink per month?
EarthLink doesn’t disclose comprehensive cost information on its website, but it does state that residential internet service plans start at $49.95 a month. For more detailed information on EarthLink’s prices, contact a company representative.
What type of internet is EarthLink?
EarthLink offers two different types of internet: dial-up and HyperLink.
Who is EarthLink owned by?
Trive Capital is EarthLink’s parent company. Trive Capital purchased EarthLink in 2019.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about EarthLink?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 15, 2022

This is by far the worst internet service I've ever had. Please do not rope yourselves into a year contract with this company. Our service goes out at least 20 times a day. It's ridiculous and frustrating. Customer service is equally aggravating. They absolutely never give a solution to the problem. Run.

EarthLink response

Angela, thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience. We’re so sorry about this. I’m going to send you a private message with information to reach out to our Tier 3 Tech Support team to see if they can figure out what’s going on with your service. They’re a higher level of customer support, and they might even be able to suggest an alternate plan to improve your connection. Again, please accept our apologies.

Original review: June 6, 2022

I called to check fiber internet availability in my area. The saleslady started by asking what service I had, what I did online, and how many devices I had connected. I have around 10 devices connected, two people working from home, four TVs that stream movies (sometimes simultaneously), and a daughter who is a Twitch streamer. Currently have 1.2gbps cable for $100/month. Saleslady tells me she will beat that price, only $59 a month, with fees, maybe $75 total. Ok, lady, but what's the speed? 45mbps! I told her this was way too slow, but she insisted that this was all I needed and, "This is fiber. Fiber is different than what you have." She suggested I just sign up and try it for a month. "Lady, you need 25mbps just to watch one 4K stream. How is 45mbps going to cover all my needs?" "This is fiber! This is great for online gaming and streaming video!" *sigh*

EarthLink response

Mandi, thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience. We do our best to match our customers with the service that best fits their needs, but it appears we missed the mark here. We will take this as a training opportunity for our team. We appreciate you considering service with EarthLink, and we hope we can offer a better experience next time.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2022

Updated on 05/02/2022: I was scammed out of my money and didn’t receive my services. Was given a telephone number to call for a different dept within EarthLink that was supposed to assist me. When I finally spoke to someone after being hung up on multiple times I was informed I need to speak to the sales dept. Still no service. My money has been taken and the ISSUE STILL NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED.

Original Review: Do not waste your time or money with Earthlink. They charge your credit cards without authorization. Also, they kept my money and never restored my services and fail to show proof my services were cancelled. I have my attorney involved in this matter!!!

EarthLink response

Kareda, we're sorry about the experience you had. We'd like to look into this further for you, so we're sending you a private message to reach out to our Executive Relations Team, a higher tier of customer service. We'll send you a direct message with their contact info. Thank you for being an EarthLink customer!

Original review: April 23, 2022

I have been an Earthlink customer since 2001. I use the prepaid method for my mail account. Every year I waste 15 or more minutes on a chat platform to renew this prepaid. WHY!!! Why can’t I do this on my billing page. This is 2022 not 1999. Why doesn’t the prepaid option appear anywhere, forcing me to waste time on a chat. Today, “Kristal R” took over 15 minutes to set up my prepaid. VERY SLOW CHAT RESPONDING! I do not understand why I can’t do this myself on my billing page. Is it because Earthlink want to the extra $1.00 a month! Earthlink: Please stop wasting my time.

EarthLink response

Bill, we're sorry about the experience you had. We appreciate you sharing the feedback. Please know that we will be sharing it with our team to improve training and service in the future. We know that Live Chat can sometimes get a little slow at peak times, so if you prefer, please feel free to call us next time. We can be reached at 888-327-8454 from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, 7 days a week. Again, thanks for being an EarthLink customer!

Original review: April 20, 2022

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWFUL, I mean never experienced this kind of horrible customer service. I called and set up an account April 13th, and still nothing resolved on getting service running. Trying to refuse to refund my money for equipment and sent me false tracking on the equipment I was supposed to receive. HORRIBLE COMPANY...do not use them. It will be nothing but a headache. If I could give - Negative - stars I would have.

EarthLink response

Cara, we are so sorry for your experience. We'd like the chance to make it right, so we're sending you the information to reach out to our Executive Relations team (a higher level of support) in hopes they can help resolve this situation. If you need anything, please reach out to them or you can reach us from 9:00 am - 10:00 pm, 7 days a week at 888-327-8454.

Original review: April 5, 2022

The service EarthLink internet provides is not theirs, but AT&T’s. I have not had internet for a whole week and they tell me they can’t fix it for another 7 days. This is in the first month and is the second outage. Working from home, I need internet! When I wanted to cancel, I was told they would charge me a $200 early cancellation fee. Two hours of holding for a supervisor and another 46 minutes waiting to speak to a manager, resulted in a $200 early cancellation fee. If I could rate them a minus ten, I would. How can you charge a cancellation fee for a service you are not providing?

EarthLink response

Loet, were you able to reach our Executive Relations Team for help sorting this out? We hate to see you go, and they may be able to assist with a resolution. We've sent you the contact information through a private message on here, so please let us know if you need anything further.

Original review: March 29, 2022

If there was zero star I would press it. They are the worst, they came at 10 am one day. I thought they're experts and they are gonna do their job. They started moving in out, going back and forth and then they left with the machine inside, no signal no nothing. We called them. They said there is no signal and they are gonna try to fix it the next day and they didn't. It's been a week from that time. We have no wifi. We were like stupid waiting and they didn't come to fix the problem. Not recommended. Don't ever call them.

EarthLink response

Fa, we're very sorry for the trouble you're experiencing with your service. We understand that having no internet is frustrating and inconvenient, so let’s see what we else can do to help. Please give our Executive Relations team a call – they’ll be happy to take a look. We’ll send you their contact info in a direct message. If there’s anything else we can help with, please let us know at 888-327-8454.

Original review: March 21, 2022

If it were in my hands I would give it 0 stars. I moved to a location to where they did not have service but still had me pay for the whole year, even after being promised to not charge me if they don't have service in the area.

EarthLink response

Thank you for your feedback, Prateek. Would it be helpful to speak with our Executive Relations Team? We'll send their contact info in a private message. They'll be happy to see what they can do to help improve your experience. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Ordered a dedicated fiber service. An AT&T Tech showed up a week later to install the line (?) and quickly determined there is no fiber in the area. Earthlink then attempted to have the tech install a bonded copper line. I happened to catch them here, but how many customers are paying $70 a month and being deceived?There isn't anyone in the USA available to help, this operation is all middle-man and uses cheap and unqualified customer support.

EarthLink response

Thank you for your feedback, J. We're sorry for your experience. Would it be helpful to talk to our support team to see if there's anything we can do to improve your experience? We'd be happy to send you the information to reach out to our Executive Relations Team via private message. Please let us know what we can do to help.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I live in an apartment complex in San Diego. I called every internet provider searching for fiber optic, AT&T included. I was told by every company that they could not give me fiber optic because of where I live (the apartment complex is the issue). When I called EarthLink and gave them my address, apartment number included, the sales rep informed me they could give me fiber optic and increase my speeds and connection. That is the only reason I paid for them to install their equipment, with the idea that I would be getting fiber optic.

Come day of installation I discover it's an AT&T technician installing my equipment because EarthLink piggy-backs off of their fiber optic cable. When I asked the installing technician why I couldn't get fiber optic direct from AT&T he told me it's because there is no fiber optic connection to this complex, and the connection he was giving me was not fiber optic, but fiber based because he was attaching a copper line to the fiber optic line. 24 hours after my install I called into EarthLink customer service ready to cancel because the service was even worse than what I had before. After being on the phone for an hour while they ran diagnostic and latency tests I was told they would have to send a technician out to see why I wasn't receiving the service I was promised.

When the technician came out, 7 total days after my install, he informed me that they couldn't provide me with fiber optic because of where I lived. This was another AT&T technician, the people whose service lines and equipment EarthLink is piggy-backing off of. When I called to cancel the service and request a full refund I was told they couldn't refund my installation fee because, in their eyes, they were providing a fiber based service so they did live up to their promise, even though my connection and speeds were even worse than before I had their service and that wouldn't be the case if they had provided me with an actual fiber optic connection. That's like running 240 volts to a building, then stepping it down so the house can only handle 120 volts. Yes you had the better amount running TO the building, but once there you used a connection that would only allow it to run a smaller amount.

I know the sales rep was just going off of what their system showed, I don't believe anyone gave me misleading information purposefully, but what I don't understand is how they won't refund me when the only reason I paid for the install was with the understanding I was getting fiber optic connection and not fiber based connections that actually performed worse. Ridiculous

EarthLink response

Ronald, we're so sorry about your experience. A refund of the installation fee has been processed back to the card we have on file for your account. It may take up to 3 days to appear based on your card provider, but please let us know if you have any issues. Thank you again for reaching out, and sharing your feedback.

EarthLink Company Information