1.40/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

187 Atlantic Broadband Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

ABB only supports modems up to DOCSIS 3.0 in my experience. Using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that works with Comcast, Internet service was almost unusable. Even with the previous generation modem, the service is unreliable. TV streaming goes out regularly, even though I can use my browser on my computer. That too goes out often. Simply put, ABB sucks!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Service goes in and out on a daily basis. Sometimes for a few hours and at random times. Cannot use home phone, or use internet or the full cable package I pay for every month which is give or take $200. Whenever I call, which is weekly, sometimes daily I am left on hold for sometimes up to an hour and 8 mins (that was today's goal). I am then told to unplug everything (which I do daily) and then they set up a service call. My life is working around phone calls to Atlantic Broadway or awaiting on a rep to my home who always says all is clear yet when I call, they say they can see a "weak" signal. No one has checked the pole the last 10 times someone came to my house. When I am left on hold I am told there is no supervisor available to assist with my complaint of having to pay the full amount and when someone DOES call back they always call the house phone that does not work even though I give them my cell number over and over again.

And finally, they then leave a message giving me the main 800 number to call this "supervisor" back, the same number that takes up to, if not more than an hour for a rep to come onto the phone, which you then have to repeat everything over for the 12th time that week (today's rep told me he can't do anything until he gets other complaints from my area, clearly with an hour and 8 min hold time, I'm guessing there are enough complaints). This company takes advantage of the fact they are currently the only provider and will tell you when you call or go to the office that if you're not happy, you can go elsewhere. I cannot wait for "elsewhere" to come to town and shut them down. It's not right. None of it is. I refuse to pay them another dime. They do not deserve even one star.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Atlantic Agent at 8:40AM: SUCKS! The same Atlantic Agent as 3 times before, in mornings time, won't do nothing to help me out with internet connection, "because we have a technician appointment schedule for next friday 27".

Original review: July 12, 2018

Honestly this is the best Internet Service Provider that I've ever used. They don't block any ports, they don't monitor my traffic, the only time I've ever experienced an outage is due to power related issues or weather and occasionally when they perform maintenance. I don't understand why people dislike Atlantic Broadband, Customer Support does take a while to get a hold of but mostly due to how many people don't understand how their services work calling to blame this ISP. If my services drop it's never due to this ISP, usually due to networking issues I'm experiencing on my end from my devices. The speeds I receive from Atlantic Broadband are 120 Megabits per second for Download and 10 Megabits per second Upload. I have never not received these speeds when I test a proper connection with Ethernet. If I don't get these speeds over wireless, it is because of my Wireless Router and not the ISP.

If you purchase good equipment for your internet (i.e. a high quality Router and Modem) you will never see issues. The leased equipment they provide is not the best, but obviously they can't provide top-tier equipment to everyone who only uses the internet for Facebook and writing bad reviews to share on Facebook. I recommend this ISP to anyone who wants the best we have in Central PA. 10/10. On a more technical note, I have a VPN running to my two friend's houses, who are also using Atlantic Broadband by the way, and we have about 98% up-time between us. If you know how to use the resources Atlantic Broadband provides, you will never be disappointed.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Looking for email address for Atlantic Broadband CEO Richard Shea. Support for issues with service is nonexistent. Been on hold now for over 2 hours. Tried chat. Not available either. No problem getting my bill though. Pay for 18 mbps, getting 4.4 mbps upload and .02 mbps download. Recording keeps playing how great support is. What it is is a disgrace.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlantic Broadband?

Original review: June 30, 2018

The bundle that I have is very high compared to other services that I have owned. Not only do they charge a very high rate, their customer service is also really bad. Try calling them for something and they will put you on hold for at least 20 mins. Also, their website (online payment) needs tweaking. I have attempted to make 3 payments and would get an "error" saying that the payment could not be processed. If there is an error, it would be wise and helpful for the customer to know what exactly that error was. Overall, this service is not good at all and I do not recommend it.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have experienced recurring problems with my cable service. Every time the script is the same. "Unplug your cable box." (Difficult because of the way my shelving is configured.) "Let me send a signal. Let me send another signal. We'll need to schedule a visit." On one occasion the repairman told me the problem was in the TV set and that I needed to buy a new one. Another time the problem was in the cable box, and, again, I needed a new one. On both occasions, the problem was NOT with the equipment.

Today, because this is the seventh or eighth time this problem has recurred, I asked to speak with a supervisor. No supervisors were available, but one could call me back within 24 hours. In other words, for all practical purposes, there is no supervision. The only reason I have given one star is that the website will not allow me to give fewer!!! Prior to today, I have never written a negative review for any product. Atlantic Broadband is quite simply the greediest and most inept company that I have ever encountered.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Before Atlantic Broadband took over, Metrocast charged me roughly $192 per month for internet, basic cable, and phone. I kept the internet service, purchased Roku devices for my dumb TVs, purchased a streaming TV service, and switched to Vonage. After breaking down all my services, I now pay roughly $121 per month. After Atlantic Broadband took over, I requested a quote for internet + TV only and they told me $138. That is more than I am paying now for cable + TV + phone. They price gouge when bundling packages and never itemize costs.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I already had internet before they took over and they didn’t touch that but I added TV service and disconnected DirecTV and I am sorry I did. I can only record 2 shows on at the same time but you have to be watching one of them and you can’t view the shows from another room unless you have another DVR in that room. With DirecTV I could access the DVR no matter what other TV I use in my house and I could record 5 shows on at the same time. I can’t even see how the channels on my upstairs TV as I could on my downstairs TV. I asked about TiVo and they said they don’t have that available yet and don’t have a release date when they will but it is in the future. So disappointed, I wish I stuck with DirecTV instead of switching.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I called because my paper billing was stopped. I was told that I can have a online account or paper billing but not both. If I want paper billing they would cancel my online account. Customer billing is very bad. They took out my heavy duty router/modem and put in a piece of junk that doesn't work half the time. Worst company ever!!! High prices terrible service!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

My cable tends to work for a month, then go out. If I want to watch TV, I have to call, be put on hold for sometimes hours, then get them to reset. Occasionally they send out a service person and mark the issue as resolved. Then two months later, it goes out again. I don't watch that much TV so I don't know it's out till I try to watch something, and then I have to find the time to deal with a long phone call or be home two hours for a service person. The company does not find their persistent lack of service a problem and refuses to give any kind of refund.

Original review: May 21, 2018

First off their rates are way too high for the service they provide. I'm paying $120 per month for basic cable and their top tier internet package. By comparison I was paying $30 less with Comcast and had double the download speed that Atlantic Broadband is giving me. Second, I had lightning strike which took out my personal router, their TiVo and Moca, and a TV of mine and then I was threatened to pay for their junk equipment.

Third, less than a week after I received new equipment from the lightning strike the internet connection began to work intermittently. I called support three times. The first two times I waited for longer than I had time to wait and ended up having to end the call. I did get through to someone through the online chat and they did a factory reset on my MoCA and within 15 mins the internet became even more intermittent. I tried to bring up the chat support which threw unhandled exceptions any time I was put in queue to wait (I'm a software engineer and I can tell you that an unhandled exception is a sign of bad programming and/or quality control). That being said I was stuck with calling and waiting. So after being on hold for over a half hour the support rep told me that they can get tech support to my house in two days!

Once again I'm a software engineer and I rely on my internet connection to work and having to wait for over a full day and a half is a day and a half that I have to take off of work (I work from home if you haven't figured that out). The next thing the support lady did was threaten that I'd have to pay if tech support had to come to my house! (Someone please tell why I have to pay for tech support to come to my house when I am paying that crazy high fee of $120 per month for their services?)

On top of all of that the support lady I was on the phone with was borderline rude when I told her I just restarted my MoCA and it will take a second for me to be able to tell her what all lights were displaying on the box. The first time I said that to her she repeated what she told me (Check the lights) so once again I tried to tell her again that I just restarted the MoCA and before I could finish my sentence she interrupted me and told me what she already told me twice before. It was obvious that I heard what she told me because I gave her a response, but to repeat the same thing to me three times like that as if I'm some kind of moron is downright disrespectful. Bottom line, if you can avoid moving to a area where Atlantic Broadband is the cable and ISP provider do it. It's blatantly obvious that Atlantic Broadband knows their peoples only choice and they take full advantage of that.

Original review: May 13, 2018

They raise their rates pretty regularly and not that many choices for internet providers in this area. Would I recommend them for an internet provider? Heck no. I think you could find a better value with someone else.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Atlantic broadband WiFi customers ATTENTION! Download the app called Fing. You may be surprised to know the lack of security Atlantic broadband has. I called the company and they told me they could see my computer screen (is that legal) and told me they couldn’t see any red flags the Fing app produced. The app told me there was a major security problem and my WiFi was being hacked. The customer service rep told me they see two passwords associated with my account and which one do I want to use.

I only created one password. She basically laughed at me when I told her that I disconnected the coax cable from the modem and unplugged the modem and still had WiFi service. Lol that’s not right lol but if I wanted a serviceman to come out they would charge me $40.00 just to see if things were hooked up properly. Funny thing with this is I live in Pennsylvania and the serviceman that hooked things up told me he drove from South Carolina to hook me up. Don’t trust them. Something odd about the experience. Now I’m looking to dump this service. Anyone else have this type of experience with them?

Original review: May 11, 2018

Service is decent and most reps are ok. But $50+ internet too high! I have fixed income and can't afford high prices! I have lowest speed. Price vs value not worth it!

Original review: May 5, 2018

This company is money gouger. They essentially included undisclosed costs and fees that they don't inform you of. You need to look into the details to understand that the PDF format of your monthly bill doesn't include all of the Taxes and Fees details. I canceled cable, purchased my own modem-router, and I now have a lower bill, which I expect to be lower in the next month. They don't provide details on the additional charge for all Sports channels, and the additional charge for local channels.

They also don't disclose that the "Free TIVO" is being rented monthly for $25, and they're charging you twice for both TIVO and a DVR. They don't disclose that the "Free EPIX" channel is being billed on monthly basis. They also don't disclose the total of 6 Franchise Fees, the FCC Fee, and the two State Taxes, one for internet and one for cable. If my landlord allowed DirecTV to install cable and internet, I would opt into that installation. Unfortunately, Atlantic Broadband holds a monopoly in the area I live in.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Website is awful. I have not been able to log into my account for over 2 years, yet, I have to pay a fee to pay my bill by phone. Internet is down every morning between 4-6 (which they deny). Tech support told me I could not troubleshoot my modem online - yet website has a link - "Troubleshoot your modem online." Tech support told me no updates were pushed, yet my modem had errors related to updates. I told tech support I had an ongoing intermittent outage problem. He kept saying, "It's running fine now." When I tried to explain the internet intermittently dropped, he told me I needed to listen and said, "It's fine now."

How much is my time worth? Because Atlantic BB has eaten hours of my time. For over 2 years they charged me for a modem I didn't rent. Why didn't I realize this? I could not access my account online to see my bill and services!!! Upload speeds are far slower than other providers. Search Atlantic BB and dropped internet plus SW file fail and see how many complaints there are.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have been a seasonal customer for 15 years. I just called to cancel my service because it keeps going up every year. The lady on the phone never tried to save me or ask me why I'm canceling??? Guess it doesn't matter to them. Where I work, we try to save every customer who calls because they are our paychecks. So sad they do not care!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Customer service is THE WORST! Each time I call (which is often) I hold on average 30 minutes, usually to be transferred to another department where I have to hold another lengthy amount of time. Hardly ever get my issue resolved yet they increase my bill by $20 every year. They continue to remove channels as they increase the rates. Get less for more money. On Demand is always on the fritz, our local office doesn’t even have a phone number, and the only reason we’re stuck with this company is because the satellite companies can’t get a signal with all of our trees. Calling Monday and canceling my subscription. I’d rather do without TV than deal with this sorry excuse for a business.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Outrageous. They tell me I don't get credit for cancellation until items picked up or return. I called. They say tech supposed to pick up, but they don't know when. I have to wait for this monopoly to pick up and it could take tomorrow or whenever but I must be home or take 2 buses to return them. They are abusive.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Though their internet may be great their customer service is lacking, if I could give less then 1 star I would. Katherine a "supervisor" for their customer care center was not only rude, but cursing on the phone. How is that customer service. Maybe this company should look into who is being the voice of their company. When I asked to talk to her supervisor she kept putting me on hold then would pick the phone up herself. Obviously she knew she was in the wrong and didn't want her superiors to know. Step up your game Atlantic Broadband. You've lost this customer.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Terrible Company, On hold as I write this, I see a charge on my bill for calling 411 when I lost all power, TV, phone, internet after some drunk hit a pole. Phone finally worked & I called to find out what happened & I was charged!!! I'm NOT paying my bill. Screw you like you're trying to Screw me!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Call to discuss account and sit on hold for 15 minutes. We are your customers. We pay your bills. And then to hear you advertise a show called “Smilf” very unprofessional. Thank God my wife didn’t call in.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I was paying for the internet but this year my condominium decide included the faster internet service with the cable service with the condominium expenses. It is the same the service. It is off and on all the time. They have a huge problem. I'm in Sunny Isles Fl. It so frustrating to trying to use the internet because sometime no connect for more than a minute and the setting starts scanning. I do not understand how can they cannot FIX THE PROBLEM. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE CONTINUE LIKE THAT. The worst part no other company we can have. If someone one knows please let me know other choices **. I'm very frustrated for 4 years. Thank you. I call them so many times and they do nothing or they. can do know how to fix it. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Just like everyone else I have been on hold for hours. No recording giving the hours they are open or that they are closed at noon every day except Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday - then they are closed all day, unless a holiday falls within the 14 preceding days, then they are closed for all 28 days. No TV, phone or internet AGAIN but there is never anything wrong at their end.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

For the past 3-4 days, my internet is down from early morning until about 12-12.30 PM. Called them 3 times on different days, waited for about 2 hours and no one picked up. This is horrible. I have 2 different internet accounts in my house 1- residential 2- business. Both are downs at once.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My internet service was interrupted (again!) so I called the customer service line. I waited TWO HOURS TWENTY FIVE MINUTES and no one picked up the call. The music just kept playing and the automatic voice recording would occasionally interfere to say, "Due to high call volume someone would answer shortly." I waited and waited and waited, no one answered.

When someone finally answered and I explained that I’d waited over 2.5 HOURS, he didn’t apologize or anything of the sort, simply said they had a “high call volume” and that at the time I called they had over 100 calls waiting. I said “so TWO AND HALF HOURS??” He simply said yes. I was at a loss for words. It’s a real shame that Atlantic Broadband has monopoly in East Lyme...or at least in my community. Otherwise I would’ve NEVER used their service. I’m going to look into Dish Network and other alternatives. This lack of customer service and their nonchalance is sickening and unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

We have had ABB since May of 2016 and it wasn't until recently (1month ago) we have started to have Internet issues. About a month ago, we decided to purchase our own Modem and Router so we would be able to save money by no longer paying the Modem/Router Lease fee. Coincidentally since then we have had the Internet drop signal sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes longer. We have contacted ABB what seems to be 10+ times, spoken with multiple Representatives (who were all great btw) and the issues still happen. We have since returned the original purchased modem (Arris Surfboard) and are now using a Motorola Modem. Both Modems purchased off Amazon, and both with stellar reviews mind you. The longest period we did not have any interruptions/issues was when we had to reconnect the leased modem during the period we had returned the Arris and were waiting on the Motorola.

Bottom line is this, 1+ year with ABB leased modem, 0 issues. 1 month with own purchased modems constant issues. So what this looks like to me is now that I as a consumer no longer wish to pay ABB their modem leasing fee, they are now giving me service issues. I truly want to believe that a company would not conduct itself in such a manner, but I am left with no other choice now than to think this. We know it is not a modem issue as we have tried a second modem.

Now ABB is sending out a tech to the house to take a look and see if there is something on our end that needs to be fixed. Which seems like yet another way for them to make money as I am sure the tech will find "something wrong" even though there was nothing wrong for the year + I used their modem. If Frontier wasn't the only other option in our area I would have dropped ABB by now. So I feel like a hostage to ABB as I really don't have a choice but to stay with them. I like to give people and business the benefit of the doubt and rarely write reviews, but if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck... you know where I'm going with this.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have been calling for almost 2 months to downgrade, no one ever answers. They are always busy. I leave a callback and don't get one. I am now 2 months behind because no one can answer. If I didn't need my internet I would just completely take myself off them.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

We have been forced to use Atlantic Broadband as the building I live in does not allow any other provider. I have been using this company for over 4 years now. This company is bad beyond measure. I pay for 100mbps and rarely get half that. Calling the customer service? Good luck! I have actually waited for hours to get to someone. And when you get to someone, it does not end there; they transfer you from one department to another, until you give up. I check the internet speed regularly after realizing that what I pay for is not what I get. I bought a new Apple router for $200 thinking that would solve the issue. It didn't!

I have spent hours on end trying to speak to someone to get an appointment... the wait is endless. One time I waited all afternoon for a technician and nobody showed up, had to rebook another appointment. The time I wasted dealing with this company is ridiculous. If you have an alternative, take that company. What is amazing is that there are bad reviews similar to mine for years yet they get worse and worse every year; that in itself is an accomplishment.

Atlantic Broadband Company Information

atlanticbb.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business