1.25/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

203 Atlantic Broadband Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I used to have Metrocast and they were great. Then they became Atlantic Broadband and the service is terrible! The internet can't stay connected for than a minute tonight. Packet loss all over, stay away from these people. Want tech support, you will wait for over an hour to talk to an idiot. I can only assume it's because of all the other dissatisfied customers calling. The only other option available to me is slow satellite internet that has a data cap and a hefty monthly fee.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

First of all their customer service might be good if you can wait an hour or longer to talk to somebody. I've tried them morning, noon or night and I hang up after 20 minutes. That being said I am paying $145 per month for expanded basic and middle-of-the-road internet. They seek out new customers and offer them deals for $79 per month with high speed internet and twice the TV channels I get plus additional perks. They Prey Upon their loyal long-term customers. They refuse to give you any breaks when you confront them and in order to become a new customer again you must drop them for six calendar months. Unfortunately I live in rural Connecticut where there are no suitable alternatives that's why I give the cable Pig a one-star rating. They have earned it.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

This is one of the worst companies I’ve ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Customer service is downright terrible. I had called to get service set up at our new home. I was told it would cost me $267 JUST to have internet hooked up. Keep in mind they had a deal advertised right on their website - $39.99 a month for 60mbps for the first year when you use autopay. The customer service rep quoted me at almost $60 a month. That is false advertising. I called my husband and told him to call and see what it would cost to have it hooked up in his name. It was significantly less and they honored the deal. What? How does this company get away with things like this. Also, the service absolutely sucks. My internet goes out almost DAILY! Unfortunately they have a huge monopoly over our area so there aren’t many choices for internet service. I hate this horrible company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We have ask many times for a paper bill. Also have a e-mail that we would receive a bill by mail from them. Well so much for that... This company has no regard for their customers. I don`t see how but plan on finding out how to stop this practice of their. Not a good company!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

4+ hours on hold for a problem. Atlantic has no email for small problems. You are transferred from person to person and no one will help. They have all my account information but refuse to take money from my account. I'm on Auto Pay with plenty of money in my account. The on hold times are ridiculous. It's a terrible company. Do yourself a favor and do something different.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlantic Broadband?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When my service was MetroCast for almost 10 years my service was ALWAYS excellent. Service almost NEVER dropped out. NOW since my service is from Atlantic Broadband, it is TERRIBLE. LOW signal strength, LOW speeds, and drops out OFTEN! I long for my METROCAST!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

This company refuses to bill me and then charges me late fees for the bills that I don't get. Every time I would call they would tell me to pay online and then after two years I was told that "having an online account" means that I have switched to paperless billing even though I did not agree to this and was told to do it. I have asked for paper bills multiple times and might get one every other month. My last bill was almost $500. I think it is a scam just so they can collect late fees. I can see from the BBB page that it is not just me this is happening to.

I also constantly lose services. There is no customer service help. I am constantly hung up on or left for 2 and 3 hours on hold until I hang up. I have spent weeks calling and trying live chat and cannot contact anyone. I don't know what I can do. I have never been treated so poorly by any organization in my life. They don't give you the speed you pay for, the internet goes out at least a half a dozen times a day, we lose on demand services for days at a time and can't even report the outages. I spent the afternoon in tears after being given false info in person and honestly wish I could sue.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Atlantic Broadband/MetroCast used to have a seasonal plan where you could shut off service to your house in the fall while you were gone for the winter and turn it back on at the beginning of the summer. The fee was $5/month to maintain your account. Very reasonable. Now they limit the shutdown to 6 months. So they would have me paying a full-blown internet bill ($60/month) starting in March when I don't even arrive in NH until the end of June. Since when is 6 months "seasonal"? Sooo sleazy! This requires no effort on their part except to throw a switch. Stereotypical cable company behavior.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Internet does not last for over 5 minutes!!! A complete disaster! Wait time for customer service 20 minutes. All they do is ask to unplug and plug back in the modem. This does not solve the issue. Keeps dropping after 5 minutes. My condo Teeca 4 just changed from Comcast to this Atlantic broadband. First day experiencing the worst internet signal ever. I cannot connect for more than 5 minutes because the signal disappears and I have to unplug and plug the modem again and again. Also, they say they have HBO on demand, but compared with Xfinity, I can only get to see 10 series while in Xfinity I was able to access like 40 series. They claimed on the phone that HBO decides what to show!!! How naive the rep, that doesn't understand HBO shows what you pay for. Worse decision Boca Teeca 4 had made regarding cable and internet. This is a rip off. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Since MetroCast became Atlantic Broadband I lose internet service on a daily basis. Constantly having to rest the modem. Not to mention that I pay over $200 a month for cable, phone and internet. Definitely not worth the money anymore. If I was not moving this month I would be changing services. Do not recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

It could be a coincidence, but ever since Metrocast became Atlantic Broadband we have had nothing but problems. Metrocast had excellent service, fast and friendly support, and we rarely had outages that lasted very long. Now, with Atlantic Broadband our business phone began dropping calls the first week they took over and has been unresolved for weeks. I cannot have a conversation with a client without the call dropping, and this has been going on for weeks. You don't expect calls to drop on a landline.

As far as the internet: my business is on its knees with problems. I have been spending 2 or more hours a day trying to get a good internet connection. We can't order products, track deliveries, make proposals to clients or email clients in a timely manner. Hours of downtime and anxiety. We have now spent several thousand dollars hiring a tech company to troubleshoot out small mom and pop business network, but the outages continue to occur. Atlantic Broadband is a plague on this good earth. It is a sin that there is no competition available and they can just get away with taking our money for bad service and a substandard product.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Atlantic BB has a monopoly on the Johnstown, PA area. They forget bills, will not give receipts for return of equipment to ensure recharging on next billing cycles, outages, do not answer phone, and freely raise prices on an electronic signal. Contacting Commonwealth AG ASAP. 10 years of this Bull.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I moved from NJ to PA about 3 yrs ago. I had FIOS prior to this and was delighted to see there was a service that had similar speeds. UNTIL I GOT THE SERVICE. It is all BS. 3 yrs later, with ABB having the monopoly in my area, I am stuck paying 335.00 a month for TV, internet, and phone. I pay for the highest service they have and if more than one person is using the internet, it is slow as molasses. There are several outages a month and NEVER am I compensated for the days or hours that the service is not usable. I was a few weeks behind on my bill this month and decided to see if the extreme latency I was experiencing was due to that and as soon as I paid online my router miraculously reset itself and it was faster than it's been in days.

Sadly, it lasted 15 minutes. I now can't watch Netflix and my son cannot use his Playstation. I have not called in yet this time because after hundreds of calls in the past couple of years, I need to prepare myself for the pack of lies the automation is going to tell me about how reliable they are. LOL. There has to be something we can do collectively. This is false advertisement, isn't it? If I pay for 250 mbps and barely clock in at 75? I am at such a loss as I also work from home and my son is in cyber school and it is affecting that negatively. When I call they just try and push their business service on me instead which would cost nearly 500/month. If you can avoid this company, do it, at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have been with this company nearly 10 yrs. Started out with phone and internet. Eliminated phone 3 yrs ago. Internet speeds have been ok, but internet monthly cost has gone from $55 to $43 and now is $65 a month. They are a near monopoly with limited competition in our area. Cannot get customer service to answer after nearly 30 minutes on hold. No callback provision while holding your place in queue. Where is the Public Utilities Commission when you need them?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Company is a JOKE. If you're not management/higher up you DON'T matter. Slave shop where they have their little workers take the calls while supervisors just hang out in management's office watching Youtube videos. Timed bathroom breaks that are up on a big screen so everyone knows when you're in the bathroom and how long you've been in there. Supervisors REFUSE to call clients back and/or take an escalated call. They are lazy and pretty much tell you to figure it out yourself. Ungrateful and they don't reward you for everything that you have to put up with. VERY unrealistic call standards/quota. This place will COMPLETELY damage your mental health. SAD EXCUSE for a company.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I started having bandwidth problems using YouTube and Netflix. On YouTube things would load extremely slowly at times and restrict me to a 144 p stream. So I began searching for a solution on Ggoogle as to why Chrome was slow to respond using YouTube. I couldn't find any legitimate fixes. I downloaded Firefox and had the same slow YouTube with constant buffering. My equipment is self bought, a good ASUS RT-N66R router and Motorola MB7420-10 16x4 modem. I do my speed tests and see that I am getting more than the speed that I pay for yet YouTube and Netflix will still buffer. I pay a yearly subscription to a VPN that I occasionally use for torrents to avoid DMCA's on some recent title movie downloads.

I decide to launch the VPN client and bring up YouTube to test. Now the website is lightening fast! No buffering, No waiting, it just runs like a dream. There is nothing wrong on my end and it is VERY obvious that Atlantic Broadband is throttling certain websites! Unfortunately ABB has monopolized my area otherwise I would change my provider. It's very sad that we lost net neutrality. I've decided to upgrade my smart TVs with Windows 10 HDMI PC's so they can run the VPN software as a standard smart TV cannot. Yes my smart TVs will often pause and stop while streaming Netflix, that causes me to restart and resume only for it to happen again within a hour. I hope everyone can find a solution to their streaming needs.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

ABB only supports modems up to DOCSIS 3.0 in my experience. Using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that works with Comcast, Internet service was almost unusable. Even with the previous generation modem, the service is unreliable. TV streaming goes out regularly, even though I can use my browser on my computer. That too goes out often. Simply put, ABB sucks!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Service goes in and out on a daily basis. Sometimes for a few hours and at random times. Cannot use home phone, or use internet or the full cable package I pay for every month which is give or take $200. Whenever I call, which is weekly, sometimes daily I am left on hold for sometimes up to an hour and 8 mins (that was today's goal). I am then told to unplug everything (which I do daily) and then they set up a service call. My life is working around phone calls to Atlantic Broadway or awaiting on a rep to my home who always says all is clear yet when I call, they say they can see a "weak" signal. No one has checked the pole the last 10 times someone came to my house. When I am left on hold I am told there is no supervisor available to assist with my complaint of having to pay the full amount and when someone DOES call back they always call the house phone that does not work even though I give them my cell number over and over again.

And finally, they then leave a message giving me the main 800 number to call this "supervisor" back, the same number that takes up to, if not more than an hour for a rep to come onto the phone, which you then have to repeat everything over for the 12th time that week (today's rep told me he can't do anything until he gets other complaints from my area, clearly with an hour and 8 min hold time, I'm guessing there are enough complaints). This company takes advantage of the fact they are currently the only provider and will tell you when you call or go to the office that if you're not happy, you can go elsewhere. I cannot wait for "elsewhere" to come to town and shut them down. It's not right. None of it is. I refuse to pay them another dime. They do not deserve even one star.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Atlantic Agent at 8:40AM: SUCKS! The same Atlantic Agent as 3 times before, in mornings time, won't do nothing to help me out with internet connection, "because we have a technician appointment schedule for next friday 27".

Original review: July 12, 2018

Honestly this is the best Internet Service Provider that I've ever used. They don't block any ports, they don't monitor my traffic, the only time I've ever experienced an outage is due to power related issues or weather and occasionally when they perform maintenance. I don't understand why people dislike Atlantic Broadband, Customer Support does take a while to get a hold of but mostly due to how many people don't understand how their services work calling to blame this ISP. If my services drop it's never due to this ISP, usually due to networking issues I'm experiencing on my end from my devices. The speeds I receive from Atlantic Broadband are 120 Megabits per second for Download and 10 Megabits per second Upload. I have never not received these speeds when I test a proper connection with Ethernet. If I don't get these speeds over wireless, it is because of my Wireless Router and not the ISP.

If you purchase good equipment for your internet (i.e. a high quality Router and Modem) you will never see issues. The leased equipment they provide is not the best, but obviously they can't provide top-tier equipment to everyone who only uses the internet for Facebook and writing bad reviews to share on Facebook. I recommend this ISP to anyone who wants the best we have in Central PA. 10/10. On a more technical note, I have a VPN running to my two friend's houses, who are also using Atlantic Broadband by the way, and we have about 98% up-time between us. If you know how to use the resources Atlantic Broadband provides, you will never be disappointed.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Looking for email address for Atlantic Broadband CEO Richard Shea. Support for issues with service is nonexistent. Been on hold now for over 2 hours. Tried chat. Not available either. No problem getting my bill though. Pay for 18 mbps, getting 4.4 mbps upload and .02 mbps download. Recording keeps playing how great support is. What it is is a disgrace.

Original review: June 30, 2018

The bundle that I have is very high compared to other services that I have owned. Not only do they charge a very high rate, their customer service is also really bad. Try calling them for something and they will put you on hold for at least 20 mins. Also, their website (online payment) needs tweaking. I have attempted to make 3 payments and would get an "error" saying that the payment could not be processed. If there is an error, it would be wise and helpful for the customer to know what exactly that error was. Overall, this service is not good at all and I do not recommend it.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have experienced recurring problems with my cable service. Every time the script is the same. "Unplug your cable box." (Difficult because of the way my shelving is configured.) "Let me send a signal. Let me send another signal. We'll need to schedule a visit." On one occasion the repairman told me the problem was in the TV set and that I needed to buy a new one. Another time the problem was in the cable box, and, again, I needed a new one. On both occasions, the problem was NOT with the equipment.

Today, because this is the seventh or eighth time this problem has recurred, I asked to speak with a supervisor. No supervisors were available, but one could call me back within 24 hours. In other words, for all practical purposes, there is no supervision. The only reason I have given one star is that the website will not allow me to give fewer!!! Prior to today, I have never written a negative review for any product. Atlantic Broadband is quite simply the greediest and most inept company that I have ever encountered.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Before Atlantic Broadband took over, Metrocast charged me roughly $192 per month for internet, basic cable, and phone. I kept the internet service, purchased Roku devices for my dumb TVs, purchased a streaming TV service, and switched to Vonage. After breaking down all my services, I now pay roughly $121 per month. After Atlantic Broadband took over, I requested a quote for internet + TV only and they told me $138. That is more than I am paying now for cable + TV + phone. They price gouge when bundling packages and never itemize costs.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I already had internet before they took over and they didn’t touch that but I added TV service and disconnected DirecTV and I am sorry I did. I can only record 2 shows on at the same time but you have to be watching one of them and you can’t view the shows from another room unless you have another DVR in that room. With DirecTV I could access the DVR no matter what other TV I use in my house and I could record 5 shows on at the same time. I can’t even see how the channels on my upstairs TV as I could on my downstairs TV. I asked about TiVo and they said they don’t have that available yet and don’t have a release date when they will but it is in the future. So disappointed, I wish I stuck with DirecTV instead of switching.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I called because my paper billing was stopped. I was told that I can have a online account or paper billing but not both. If I want paper billing they would cancel my online account. Customer billing is very bad. They took out my heavy duty router/modem and put in a piece of junk that doesn't work half the time. Worst company ever!!! High prices terrible service!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

My cable tends to work for a month, then go out. If I want to watch TV, I have to call, be put on hold for sometimes hours, then get them to reset. Occasionally they send out a service person and mark the issue as resolved. Then two months later, it goes out again. I don't watch that much TV so I don't know it's out till I try to watch something, and then I have to find the time to deal with a long phone call or be home two hours for a service person. The company does not find their persistent lack of service a problem and refuses to give any kind of refund.

Original review: May 21, 2018

First off their rates are way too high for the service they provide. I'm paying $120 per month for basic cable and their top tier internet package. By comparison I was paying $30 less with Comcast and had double the download speed that Atlantic Broadband is giving me. Second, I had lightning strike which took out my personal router, their TiVo and Moca, and a TV of mine and then I was threatened to pay for their junk equipment.

Third, less than a week after I received new equipment from the lightning strike the internet connection began to work intermittently. I called support three times. The first two times I waited for longer than I had time to wait and ended up having to end the call. I did get through to someone through the online chat and they did a factory reset on my MoCA and within 15 mins the internet became even more intermittent. I tried to bring up the chat support which threw unhandled exceptions any time I was put in queue to wait (I'm a software engineer and I can tell you that an unhandled exception is a sign of bad programming and/or quality control). That being said I was stuck with calling and waiting. So after being on hold for over a half hour the support rep told me that they can get tech support to my house in two days!

Once again I'm a software engineer and I rely on my internet connection to work and having to wait for over a full day and a half is a day and a half that I have to take off of work (I work from home if you haven't figured that out). The next thing the support lady did was threaten that I'd have to pay if tech support had to come to my house! (Someone please tell why I have to pay for tech support to come to my house when I am paying that crazy high fee of $120 per month for their services?)

On top of all of that the support lady I was on the phone with was borderline rude when I told her I just restarted my MoCA and it will take a second for me to be able to tell her what all lights were displaying on the box. The first time I said that to her she repeated what she told me (Check the lights) so once again I tried to tell her again that I just restarted the MoCA and before I could finish my sentence she interrupted me and told me what she already told me twice before. It was obvious that I heard what she told me because I gave her a response, but to repeat the same thing to me three times like that as if I'm some kind of moron is downright disrespectful. Bottom line, if you can avoid moving to a area where Atlantic Broadband is the cable and ISP provider do it. It's blatantly obvious that Atlantic Broadband knows their peoples only choice and they take full advantage of that.

Original review: May 13, 2018

They raise their rates pretty regularly and not that many choices for internet providers in this area. Would I recommend them for an internet provider? Heck no. I think you could find a better value with someone else.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Atlantic broadband WiFi customers ATTENTION! Download the app called Fing. You may be surprised to know the lack of security Atlantic broadband has. I called the company and they told me they could see my computer screen (is that legal) and told me they couldn’t see any red flags the Fing app produced. The app told me there was a major security problem and my WiFi was being hacked. The customer service rep told me they see two passwords associated with my account and which one do I want to use.

I only created one password. She basically laughed at me when I told her that I disconnected the coax cable from the modem and unplugged the modem and still had WiFi service. Lol that’s not right lol but if I wanted a serviceman to come out they would charge me $40.00 just to see if things were hooked up properly. Funny thing with this is I live in Pennsylvania and the serviceman that hooked things up told me he drove from South Carolina to hook me up. Don’t trust them. Something odd about the experience. Now I’m looking to dump this service. Anyone else have this type of experience with them?

Atlantic Broadband Company Information