Atlantic Broadband

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have had AB for three years and I cannot think of one positive thing to say about this company. The internet is sllllooowwwww. I live in LA part of the year and have basic internet. My laptop flies when I'm in NOLA and drags when I'm in Perryville. Same computer. Different internet provider. And I'm paying more for the lousy service! Currently in the process of finding another source. I've had it with this company.

My Mother and I have been having problems with our phone lines, television, and computer connection for 4 months. We do NOT live in the same house - we live 8 miles apart. To call to report a problem entails a 'hold time' for anywhere from 2 - 4 hours. THEN, we have each had technicians come to our houses 3+ times to 'fix' our individual problems. They are STILL not resolved. Mom just told me 2 hours ago that the company gave her credit for all her problems. THEN, her phone went out AGAIN. I have had to keep a LOG of all of my dropped called when I am on the phone. I.T. supervisors are coming to my house on Friday - this will be the 4th trip for the same problem. This company is ridiculous. Poor technicians. Poor communication. Poor supervisors. Poor connections/lines.

If there was another company to change to, we would... but only God knows how Atlantic Broad Band OWNS/CONTROLS most of the t.v., phone and computer connections in our area. So beyond fed up with this company. I scream at them on the phone at this point. My mother has been robbed and has no neighbors close to her - she cannot be without a phone connection and has trouble using her cell phone. My Android is no walk in the park to pull the dial pad up either if I would need 911. I wish the higher ups in this stupid company had HALF the trouble that my mother and I have been having. ** would be changing for sure if they had problems. With as high as the bills are, they could afford to have a technician on call on every street. I AM SO FED UP.

I have had problems with Atlantic Broadband's Internet speed. I just conducted a test on THEIR website and these are the results:?4?/?12?/?2017??12?:?12?:?11??PM Download Speed: 61347 kbps (7668.4 KB/sec transfer rate). Upload Speed: 6536 kbps (817 KB/sec transfer rate). Latency: 8 ms. Jitter: 2 ms. It took me hours on the phone to set up an appointment for a representative to come to the house. He told me it was my T.V. or my Satellite provider that is causing my slow internet connection. He did NOTHING. Everything is slow. My T.V., and my computer. I have done multiple tests to check my speed and it's never the speed it should be.

Today was exceptionally slow but, knew I would spend hours on hold trying to contact customer service so I decided to do the internet chat online. Could not get a representative after about 15 minutes of waiting ABB ends the chat session. I tried 3 times. There are no other internet providers in Warrenville or Aiken city limits. Comcast is barred in my area so broadband is all we have. Isn't that a monopoly?? I HATE ATLANTIC BROADBAND. People in my neighborhood have complained and their internet got even slower after complaining. I think they do that on purpose.

I have been on the phone now for 1hr 23 min for a technical issue. When a customer service rep finally answered the line and I said I had technical issues, can't watch the channels I have paid for and was automatically debited 3 days ago, rep didn't even let me talk. Just said "I'm transferring you to the technical assistance" and I've been holding on the line ever since with none of my favorite channels available.

Have been on hold now for 2 hours waiting for someone to pick up the phone regarding our service. We have been having continuous problems with our internet, television, and phone service with no satisfaction following the service technicians visits. Today is fourth day in the last seven that we have had service interruptions. The interruptions are annoying enough, but what is more disappointing is the lack of customer service that Atlantic Broadband offers their customers. AWFUL customer service, if there was another option, we would never keep the service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlantic Broadband?

I am an EXPRESS internet service customer of Atlantic Broadband. Full rack rate per month is $67.99. Advertised download speeds are up to 65 Mbps. I understand that the operative phrase therein is "up to." Nevertheless, after weeks of random speed tests varying days of the week and times of the day, using Atlantic BB's own speed test tool, the average download speed isn't remotely close to the cap. In actuality, it's only 9.2% of the advertised cap (6 Mbps).

I fully realize other variables are at play, but they are reasonably addressed. I build my own PCs and the one used in testing is a relatively new build with current, top-on-the-line components. Modem download capabilities are in the Gbps. Testing was done hardwired on the line entering the house (although I fully rewired the home with CAT6 when we renovated).

Considering all of that, I think the problem squarely rests with AtlanticBB. I can only conclude that AtlanticBB's infrastructure (and/or whatever it leases) are subpar and/or AtlanticBB purposefully controls bandwidth. At the discovered test speed average, it's just enough to support generally streaming HDTV and won't noticeably affect email, streaming music, browsing, and most gaming activities. While I realistically don't expect 65 Mbps in download speeds, I DO expect reasonable service for a fair price. And Atlantic BB doesn't provide anything close to that.

Daily Intermittent internet outages which has a negative impact on my spouse, because part of her job she does from home over the internet. Daily problems with the TV signal dropping for a second or two, maybe three then coming back. Sometimes this happens every few minutes, sometimes every few seconds. Not all channels are affected. No rhyme nor reason. Looks suspiciously like what I've seen happen with satellite TV service providers during bad weather.

I have called customer service in the past but rarely come away from the experience feeling like anything was accomplished.

With the internet the problem seems to linger on, so this past Thursday/Friday I called Atlantic Broadband customer service and spoke to a young man that checked out the modem remotely and could tell I've been resetting it from time to time, suggested I might want to purchase my own modem, that the rental modem might be the problem, even though it seemed to check out OK. So I purchased a modem and will set it up later this week and I hope the new modem resolves the issue we have been having the internet for over a year. To be completely honest I don't believe it will, but I'll give it a shot. I'll know soon enough if the new modem solves the problem.

More recently we have started to experience the problem mentioned in the opening paragraph with the TV and tonight it was just too much having the TV go in and out every few seconds, so I called Atlantic BroadBand customer service. The first call I made I received the same pre-recorded message I've been hearing for years, about being a high value customer and then being given the option to be called back.

To request the call back all I have to do is press 1, which I did. Well, it didn't work. I found myself on hold. After just under 15 minutes my call was answered. I explained the problem and was instructed to unplug the high definition box connected to the TV and then plug it back in, which I did. I was asked if that took care of the problem. No, the problem didn't go away, but she did. I found myself talking on the phone, but we were no longer connected. So I called back. After going through the menu and the prerecorded you a high value customer and your call is valuable to us recording again, I pressing 1 again for a call back and again found myself on hold. For some reason I get the impression the call back feature was turned off or disconnected. I wonder why?? After waiting for just over twenty minutes I hung up. However, the twenty minutes wasn't a total waste of time.

I sat down with my spouse and had dinner. OK, so I eat fast. However, when dinner was over and I was still on hold listening the prerecord list of techno stuff Atlantic BroadBand overs and that I would ask my service person about them I was done. I was done chasing the Atlantic BroadBand service unicorn. Atlantic BroadBand service does leave me feeling like I'm chasing a unicorn. My wife and I were considering switching our home phone service from AT&T to Atlantic BroadBand. Well considering how intermittent the internet service has been and the problems with the TV service we wisely decided it was never going to happen.

First, it took an hour to get somebody in tech support, second the modem did not connect right. Called back, 2 more hours on the phone. They never could get my 6190 Modem to connect. Had to switch back to my older modem. I spent a grand total of about 3 1/2 hours on the phone, only to connect my old modem back!!! WOW.

Service was not be as fast as speeds promised. Internet is still the fastest in my rural area that I live in. Phone is terrible cuts out, echos, total crap. Called several times over hour wait each time. Just thought I would warn some people. If you have other options go with them!

Today I called Atlantic Broadband Customer Care because of an increase in my bill. When I signed up for their internet service I was informed that I would be on a promotional price for a year plus any rental fees and that after the 12 month promotional rate I would pay the full price plus rental fees, in which I accepted these terms.

Last February I saw the increase they told me about and the amount also matched, which again I knew it would increase after 1 year and then I would be paying full price. I call and the info was confirmed. This February comes around and I see another bill increase, so today I decided I would call and see why the increase. When I express my concern and the knowledge to my agreement I was told that regardless of what I was told when I signed up, what she saw on her end was a 2 year promotion, that the amount I had paid in the last year still included a promotional discount but now I would be paying full price. I informed the rep that I did not understand why it showed a 2 year promotional price since I was told last year I was already at full price plus equipment. Again the answer is no matter what I was told this is the new price.

The problem I have with that is that I was told a year prior I was already paying full price and even asked if there is a way to listen to the audio from when I signed up and when I followed up last year because I understood she is reading what the system said but at the same time it was not what I was told or agreed on when I signed up. Her reply was that unfortunately she could not change the price and she could not deny or confirm what I was told, so she would transfer me to a supervisor. I understood her position and respected it and waited to be transferred.

When the BRYNN the SUPERVISOR gets on the phone she asked for my account info and asked what the problem was. Again I explained everything from day 1 til the present and this is where things take a very bad turn for the worst. She tells me that regardless of what I was told that Atlantic Broadband had given me credits on year 2 and that the price I will be paying from now on is what I was billed regardless of who told me that I would be paying full price. I let her know that I also work with the public and that a company cannot sign someone up and when they ask for the terms in which they signed up with to be explained and honored that at the very least they could look at what type of offer I was told I would be on since she didn't even know the amount I was to be paying cause when I asked she very quickly and in a condescending manner just kept repeating full price.

She continues with verbatim "I don't understand what you want me to do. This is the way we do promotions and if you don't want the credits we gave you I can just charge your account the full amount of credits we gave you which will then put you at full price as of last year. Is that what you want me to do? Huh? Huh?" I told her I was not disrespecting her and there was no need for her disrespect. In which she replies "Again I don't know why you are acting so confused and I really don't know what you want me to do. You were on a promotion. Now the promotion is over so you now pay the full amount. I can't just give you a discount just because you wanted to pay full price after the first year but if you didn't like our discount just let me know and I will gladly bill you for them and that should make you happy then since you will get what you are asking for which is pay full price after the first year. Right? Right?"

Now at this point I'm very angry and still was very polite in saying that all I wanted was for them to honor what I was promised when I signed up and if they looked into it and it was deemed I was incorrect that I'd gladly pay whatever I had to pay. My call was not to get credits or get over on the company. I simply wanted them to look into why I was told I was in a one year discounted price and after that I would be at full price unless there was a plan increase in two different occasions and now I'm being told and billed something completely different. She again goes back to "I can just build you for the credits you received last year if you want me to." Since she wasn't understanding I let her know is that all I wanted them to do was honor what they promised or I didn't want service from a company that makes promises and doesn't honor them and treats people the way she was treating me.

She tells me she can't help me with that that she will just transfer me to Retention. The lady from retention was very apologetic and actually looked at the account, apologized on behalf of the company for Brynn's actions and explained that all she sees was a 2 year commitment and that she apologized I was told something else. I don't understand why they allow their reps to promise things that are not true and get away with it. I was not calling to get around the system and get credits on my bill. All I wanted was for them to keep their word or clear up how I might have misinterpreted if that was the case. Instead I get Brynn the Supervisor's attitude and disrespect.

If there was any other provider that was worth my while in this area I would definitely switch providers even if I was to pay double or even triple as long as their customer service is nothing like what I received today. I just got a call for a survey in which was about someone else and I gave them the worst of scores because of how I was treated and left a recording stating that everyone else I spoke with today was very professional but that Brynn was horrible in every way possible.

Atlantic Broadband internet service is not dependable. On too many occasions on Friday, February 10th and again on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday my internet connection and phone service to my home have been interrupted for increments of 15-30 minutes, sometimes several times during the day. Attempting to call ABB during these times is impossible… It’s one indefinite hold. I spend the summer in Massachusetts and Comcast (my internet/phone service provider) is by far more dependable so I know it’s possible to have a cable company actually provide consistent service. Many times in the past I wanted to write and complain about Atlantic BB, but as is so often the case once the service is repaired it’s just easier to move on and forget the inadequate and inefficient service that ABB provides.

I am forced to use Atlantic Broadband because they are the cable company the building offers. Their customer service is abysmal. On top of waiting hours for a callback you have to wait over a week to get someone to come to your apartment. In one month I had 2 defective boxes. I called on Monday Jan 30, spent an hour on the phone with a "tech support" agent even after I explained I had already attempted a reset, and the soonest I could get service is Feb 11? That's two weeks. They refuse to ship a new cable box to me which would be the solution. The only option I would have is to drive 40 minutes to pick up a new box. I am truly disgusted. The worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Atlantic broadband needs a class action lawsuit filed against them. From the long waits on hold for customer service to the quality of service. When I set up service I was offered 120 gigs of data for $30 a month, which I later found out wasn't offered to my area. My internet automatically didn't work for 2 days. When the technician came out he told me my router was old (the 1 the previous man had just put in telling me it was brand new). Once the router was changed my service was ok for a couple days and only a couple days. Since then, about 6 months ago, my service has sucked!! Hours long hold periods to get ahold of customer service only to be told, or offered higher package deals. I've turned down every one stating if I can't get the quality I'm paying for now why would I want to pay more for the same quality of service.

My monthly plan was changed without my permission. When I was finally ready to wait on hold for hours I called and spoke with a customer service supervisor who told me she was going to go back into the phone calls and verify that I did not authorize the change and would be getting back to me within the next couple days, I have yet to receive that call. I am currently on my way down to the Waterford location to resolve this issue.

Frequent outages used to be addressed promptly by this company but during the past year I have been forced to wait in excess of 60 minutes plus on the phone and still no response; repeated attempt resulted in 0 connection. Only when I called billing did I get to talk to someone who initiated a service call order - thank you. This is a totally unacceptable handling of customer's problem.

I have been trying to reach Atlantic Broadband to complain about an issue for three months now. I refuse to devote more than an hour waiting on each call so I have yet to reach them. As I have gone from wanting to inquire to wanting to cancel my inability to reach anyone has my account now in an overdue status which I refuse to be responsible for since I can't reach anyone to cancel the service!! AARRGGHHHH!!! It is amazing they are still in business. I don't think I have ever experienced a company run as poorly as this one. They apparently never read these pages.

Have been on hold for 60 minutes each for 3 service calls. Was still on hold when I drove to their location. Horrible Muzak and all. They always have "higher average wait times". Finally received a call back and when I asked for a manager, hey hung up. Hard as it is for me to believe, they have a customer service manager. That has to be the funniest thing ever inside their walls. There is of course, no way to speak or right that person, so I'll trash them here. Comcast or VZ won't build to my area, so we are treated to a junior varsity experience with everything. Will be terminating service as soon as I can get Dish to visit.

I received a flyer promoting high speed internet at $29.99 a month. I contacted them and was told that there was a charge of $10.00 a month for each piece of equipment (i.e. modem, router, etc.). I signed up and was told that I had to pay an $85.00 deposit. When I got my service installed it didn't work the first week. And of course they had an 2 hr phone wait before I could speak with anyone. They did finally come and fix the problem. When I went to check my first bill it was for almost $80.00. I asked them why was it so high. The Customer Service Rep told me that I was being charged $49.99 a month because the $29.99 a month rate was only for the first year. I explained to her that I had only been a customer for 1 month. She saw that in her notes and told me that a credit would be made to my acct.

Let me also add that although they charge $10.00 per month for each piece of equipment they were charging me $20.00. She said that was because my equipment was a modem/router combo. I argued "so what, it's still one piece of equipment." That was a losing argument. At that point I decided to buy my own. None the less the following month I went to check the balance on my acct only to find that they were charging me $80.00 again. I asked why the problem had not been rectified. The rep said that she was unable to correct it and put me on the phone with a manager. He was rude and arrogant. He told me he wasn't changing the mistake and refuse to take responsibility for it. He told me that my acct would remain as is because I did not pay a deposit. I told him yes I did. He then told me that the $85.00 that they requested as a deposit was actually an installation fee.

Who charges an installation fee? And who charges an $85.00 installation fee? At this point I told him I was dissatisfied with their service want to cancel. He refuse to refund me my deposit and told me that I still owed them $26.00. I would never recommend Atlantic Broadband to anyone. In fact I would beat the drum, sound the alarm, fly the banner and flash the beacon to discourage anyone from ever using them.

Today 12/7 Atlantic Broadband came to my building Turnberry on the Green to give us new digital boxes. The moment they started to do that my phone stopped working. I told 2 of the Altantic Broadband representatives what happened. Well they did not understand English, I called and was on hold one hour and 12 minutes. I could not hold so long so I hung up. I called again and I am on hold 45 minutes. AB never calls me back except maybe 24 hours later. I can call Customer Service even at 1 a.m. and it is always, "Due to higher calls than usual..." If not even at 1 a.m. you are put on hold forever... worse the worse.

If you call Atlantic Broadband to start new service you will get in touch with a person in less than 5 minutes. If you have a problem with your service, or even have a simple technical question about your service... Forget about it. I've been trying to reach them for over a week. They put customers on permanent hold. The first time I called I was put on hold and left my phone on speaker while I worked around the house, 2 hrs no one answered. The second time I called, they offered to put me on a call back list, three days later nothing. Today I have been on hold for an accumulative 2.5 hrs. I have needed to call them Various times over the last 3 years, and EVERY time they were "Experiencing a high volume of callers". Even when my call weren't outage related. I'd recommend staying far away from this company, but if you're in the same boat as me... then you have no choice.

I am highly unimpressed with Atlantic Broadband. I can not get any representative on the phone without an hour wait and then when I do I get hung up on multiple times. This is poor customer service and if this wasn't the only service available in my area I would cancel my service and go elsewhere. I have never felt with such lack of customer service ever.

I've been on the phone now with customer service, just to set up a voicemail for business phone for 43 minutes as of now. Talked to two customer service reps already... This is freakin' unacceptable. Very poor customer service!!

Whenever I have a problem with cable (which is several times a year) I call into the ABB service. After a long wait to speak to someone, I explain the problem. I have to make an appointment to be home even though I explain that the last one dozen times I have called in with a problem, the problem was solved outside my home. But in order for me to get service, I have to be inconvenienced and make myself available for a 4-hour block of time. Even though the problem will be outside my home, they won't come out to check the problem unless I am available to them. Therefore, the burden of getting the service I pay for, becomes an additional burden. And they continue to collect their money each money whether the service is good or not. There is no penalty for giving bad service. Something is wrong with the system.

Bad experience! Moved to another state so I cancelled by 8-31-2016 and made a payment, then 0 balance. Requested and authorized to deliver box following day due to rain, which I did on 9-1-16 before 12 noon. A month and 20 days later received a service cancellation notice via email that I already did and collecting almost $200. Ended up paying $8.00. They forgot I cancelled the service back in 8-31-16.

I signed up for Atlantic Broadband after being dissatisfied with Frontier. I received a promotion for 100 Mbps for 29.99 per month for a year. The service had been spotty (went in and out, lost signal a few times a day) and after MANY phone calls, they sent out a technician. The technician said it was a "coding issue" and could not fix the problem. It still isn't fixed, and my speed varies between 8-20 Mbps. Calling customer service is terrible. When calling hold times are ridiculous (I am on hold now as I type. Currently have been waiting 1 hour 17 minutes). Giving them one more try to fix it today and then I am switching to DishNet, which is my only other choice in my area. Not thrilled about DishNet's speed or price, but I have them for TV and customer service is good at least.

For the past 3 weeks, we lose internet, cable, and phone for hours. Then last week we lost internet and phone for at least 3 hours. Today (Sept. 14) we are not able to log into our email. We run a business through our home and email is very important. Yes, I called and yes they have had a automated message up all day about outages all over the east coast. I have typed my password until I felt my fingers would bleed. This company has become junk. When we first signed on, no complaints. But this last month, nothing but trouble. Once my internet is up and running and I get past Atlantic Broadband homepage the computer works fine. I have no choice but to use this carrier, but if I can ever switch, I AM GONE.

They keep raising my monthly bill by adding sports surcharges or who knows what, and I don't care for sports at all, but there's no opt out option, take it or leave it, like everything else. They're a monopoly where I live, I'm in a condo and I don't have the choice to install a dish or anything else. The association won't allow it. I am seriously thinking of getting Sling TV but the only company that provides internet service in my area is AT&T and they require a contract which I'm not happy about either, because if I don't like their service I'm stuck with them for a full year.

Tried to get Atlantic Broadband to lower my bill by taking channels out or just canceling the TV service and keep the internet service only, but the difference in price was so ridiculous (just a couple of dollars less of what I'm paying now for practically getting rid of everything!) that it would not work out. I'm just tired of being at their mercy, I want out! But can't be without internet & TV either!

Horrible, horrible company that has Talbot county captive. They never showed up for an appointment. Waste of 6 hours. I am on hold for 49 minutes. Horrible horrible. I will be changing to anything else. They honestly do not care.

I am so very tired of calling Atlantic Broadband to have them troubleshoot my Cable internet access. Sunday morning 9.11.16, 8 am I'm calling AGAIN. I am not sure the number of times tech people have been here and I have had to miss work to be here... 5 times? 6? in the last year plus numerous calls in about my poor service that I pay for - a couple months ago when calling about the poor service I was told the modem was 3 generations old and why didn't I have a newer modem? Well it's because no one from Atlantic Broadband told me there was a problem with the one I had. This is getting old. This is a monopoly as there are no other cable providers in the area. In climbing the food chain who gets contacted next to complain about the poor service from ATLANTIC BROADBAND? FCC? WV Attorney General? Any help would be appreciated.

I tried requesting cable and internet from the company in Augusta, GA. Called WOW - 1-855-478-8148. Maybe if we all call them they may but out ABB and add 50K+ users in the area. I always have slow service and they want $80 a month just for internet.

This is the 4 time I have called them. The wait time is crazy. First time 3 hours set up for a call back no one called in 6 1/2 hours. Now this is phone service!!! They have been out 4 times!!! Changed everything in the house! Moved the phones, got rid of the old wall phone, 2 new modems, new wiring! And the computer keeps on freezing. They tell me the supervisor knows about it. It's some kind of SDR contraption on the pole. This is getting old. I'm ready to go back to Verizon. If you're thinking about doing a bundle with Atlantic Broad Band please think again. All they do is raise the rates and the customer service awful! And for price I have to pay is more than my health insurance!!! need to do something about this ASAP. One can only hope a more reliable company buys them in the USA. I heard they are owned by a company in Canada. Yep that makes a lot of sense! If you are thinking about Atlanticbb think and rethink!

Atlantic Broadband Company Profile