1.64/5

498 Windstream Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

The service is off more than on and slower than dial up! The worst service ever! From the beginning we have to call every other week and sit on hold for 30 minutes to an hour. We have had service techs come out and it's the same thing over and over. Absolutely not worth the money they charge.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I’ve been a Windstream customer for years. Throughout this time my phone lines are frequently down, my internet is slow to say the least, I can’t watch Netflix or run more than one phone adequately. I’ve had repair calls too many to count. Usually, they don’t bother to even show up and close the ticket saying no one was home, which was a lie or a dog was out, also a lie. I open another ticket. Wait for days or weeks with the same outcome. We start all over again, after weeks of complaining, threatening to call the Better Business Bureau or Kentucky Consumer Association, someone finally show up, acts as if they fixed the problem, only to have no better quality once they’ve left resulting in another service call, more lies and more waiting and... my internet is still terrible. How is this even allowed to go on!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Angela. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We want you to have internet that meets your expectations and needs. I apologize this has not been the case. Please allow me to work to improve your internet experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We have had Windstream service for many years since they are the only provider in our area. We have experienced poor phone and internet since the beginning. Our phone has a humming sound and if there is any background noise such as BREATHING it shuts off the sound coming from the caller. It is impossible to use unless there is complete silence on my end. The internet speed is hardly ever above .3 making it completely useless as well. We have complained countless times to no avail. We are told the lines are old. Well fix it! We pay for service that you don't provide! FIX IT!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Billy. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you are have been experiencing issues with service. I would like to ensure that we exhaust all efforts to improve your service. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I'm paying 100 a month for 1 gbps but I get 3.07 mps on a good day. That is 1/40th of the speed we pay for. All they do is say, "Sorry. We are working on improving our speeds in your area." But the more we say anything the worst our internet is getting worst. Please someone actually fix this issue instead of empty lies.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Dalton. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Your speed issues are a concern. We would like to address this for resolution as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I called Sunday and was told they would call on Monday to tell me when a tech would be out because my speeds dropped down so slow that I can't run our company software to work which I work from home. I called and was told it was a problem with the line but that a tech would not be out until the 14th. I told the tech Support that was unacceptable because I am training for a new contract and if I miss time I could lose this job. I have been given empty promises and I am sick of it. The speed I am paying for is 50 yet I am getting less than 2mbps and that is wrong. Windstream don't care about anything but getting our money.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Brenda. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for your post. We're happy to see this issue was resolved Wednesday, September 12th. Please reach out if we can assist you further.

LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have tried for a week to get service ran to our new house site that is under construction. My ticket was closed when the job was not done. This is obvious as the trench that we dug for the line is empty. I called customer service and was told that an email has been sent and they should have it resolved in 24-48 hours. They refused to give me a name and number to the person they emailed. So my construction is on hold until further notice because the trench is blocking the driveway! I've been with Windstream for 8 years. I dug the trench! Why is this so difficult???

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Theresa. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize this has delayed your construction. Please allow me to work with you to ensure this gets completed as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have been a customer since the late 80's. The internet service has always been poor, but worse lately. I have contacted them numerous times to get someone to talk to me, the request must go in the garbage. I requested the number to a local office, they refused to give it to me. As before, they said I would get a call. I have heard that several times, I have yet to get one.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Elizabeth. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I know how important internet service is. I apologize that your service has not met expectations. Please allow me to work to find a solution to improve your experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Every week I must unplug modem and allow it to "clear" (whatever that is) as the speed to stream becomes so slow for Netflix or others that they basically shut down or constantly cycle on-off to allow "buffering" to catch up. Also, any problem that requires me to contact an agent online, doesn't get attended to as agents are never available. Emails are slow to answer as well, so service is not a priority at Windstream.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

After my 98 year old mother passed away, we terminated her phone and internet service. It was apparently several days into the next billing cycle... They refused to prorate bill for unused service. Spoke to multiple agents, all promised a corrected statement, but never received one. Finally received a collections notice... Spoke to supervisor who stated it was company policy not to prorate.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, David. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for your loss and regret that you had an issue with getting your mother's affair taken care of with us. Thank you for providing you information and allowing me to make this right.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I was on the line for over an hour. First rep hung up on me and second person told me that he was going to send new modem in 5 days. Called in two weeks to find out they never sent the modem and have no record that I called. Called again today and it took one hour and I couldn't not understand the person I was talking with. The service is horrible and nobody seems to care.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Scott. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for WIndstream. I apologize that you have had trouble getting a modem sent. I would like to help. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Windstream might be a rather large company, but they are completely inept at customer service and have no ability to keep their internet functional. Example, my internet went down after a storm. I called several times to get the issue resolved (as in daily) and was lied to by the company as to when someone would come out to fix it. As in, lied to on several occasions spanning quite a bit of time. After clearing my schedule to try to accommodate the nonexistent technician, and missing several assignments (I’m an online student... classes that I take online in the evening after working during the day). I was finally told that it would be at least two weeks before they could even start to get someone out to even ‘look’ at my internet connection issue.

If you’re looking for reliable service, and a willingness to fix issues when they arise, and a desire to actually take care of the individuals that are paying them for their service... Do NOT use this company. They charge for services they don’t provide, and refuse to fix their products in any type of reasonable time frame when there’s an issue. It’s like internet-service hostage taking... And I was silly enough to be a customer with them for over 6 years.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Katrina. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We appreciate you for being a customer for over 6 years. I apologize that we haven't met your expectations. Please allow me to work with you to resolve any service issues. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Windstream is one of the worst internet service providers available. The only reason my family has to use it is that they have a monopoly in the Dawsonville area. It is so terrible that I've heard nothing but hate about this horrible service. We pay for 25 mp/s down but we get about 1 mp/s if we are lucky. They rip you off and treat all their customers like garbage.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Zac. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you are experiencing issues that are effecting your speeds. I would like to help with getting this resolved. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My DSL service has degraded considerably over the last year and a half. I pay for 3Mb down, but only get 1.6Mb down at most, and it dips as low as .3Mb. It varies wildly from second to second. It's not consistent enough to be reliable, and feels no better than dial-up when browsing the web. I've called tech support numerous times, and have been told there's nothing they can do. They say it shows that my speed is 3Mb down, and that's what it always displays on my modem's interface, but I never even get close to that. This used to not be the case, and the connection was faster and more importantly, consistent. Something changed in the last year and a half, and I can't even get them to come look or test anything out on my end. Support is worthless. If I lived in an area where I had another viable option, I'd drop them in a heartbeat.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Nathan. Thank you for your review. We do regret the frustration you have experienced with your service and would be glad to see if there is anything which can be done to improve your service. If you would, please respond to the private message I am sending you with the requested information and we'll be glad to help. Thank you. - Amanda with Windstream Communications.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I ordered residential internet service on July 11. 46 days later, nothing has been installed. They came to install on July 27 and figured out they did not have facilities. Of course, I told them at time of order that this was new construction, but they do not do anything proactive. An engineer laid out a cable route and said I may not get the 100 MBPS service I ordered, and he would call me back to give me a speed. No call yet.

On August 13 they sent me a letter demanding a contribution to construction. I priority mailed a check that the USPS delivered on August 15. On August 21 I called to check the status. They said they were waiting for my check (yes, the same one they had received 6 days earlier). They said they couldn't find the payment I told them had been delivered, so I'd just have to send another one (is there no accountability?).

On my way back from mailing them another one, they called to say they found the first one, without explanation of where they put checks they receive via priority mail (along with the letter in which they had requested the payment, so there should not have been any question of the purpose of the check). They claim they are expediting installation, but nothing yet. Oh, I called the engineer to ask what speed I would be getting -- yeah, the one who said he would call me -- he said once again he would have to check and call me back. Has he called yet? Nope. Guess I'll find out whether it's faster than dial-up after they install it.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, John. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had this experience when attempting to get your internet service installed. I would like to research this issue thoroughly for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

A lightning storm shorted out our modem. We called customer service. On 8/19/2018 at 12:29, we called and spoke to a CSR that never gave a name. He said that someone would be out that day to fix, it was a lie. He sat the appointment for one week later. We called back the same day at 18:35, and spoke to another CSR whose name was Tristen. She said “We show the ticket to be set for Saturday (8/25/2018) at 7 pm.” She was going to set another appointment to resolve the issue sooner. She suggested that we could get our own VDSL2 modem which “shouldn’t be hard to find”, and said that she would “open a ticket to send a modem, which should be there no later than Wednesday” (8/22/2018), this was also a lie.

On Thursday (8/23/2018) at 11:10 am I called and spoke to a Jess and was told that I didn’t have authorization to talk about the account. This is after the fifth time that the account holder (my wife) had authorized such use. She called my wife, and gained yet again the authorization for the CSR to speak to me. I was told that the modem was “never sent” and that “at this point it would be quicker to wait for the technician to bring it with him to the originally scheduled service appointment.” I was told that she would escalate the case to a “local manager that would call me either way that day.” This too was a lie.

On Saturday (8/25/2018) at 10:32 I spoke to a Taylor, she said that “she shows the original Saturday ticket, we requested to have somebody arrive for the service appointment no later than 17:00, because we have a previous arrangement that we had to go to. She stated that she would “get in touch with a supervisor”, and placed us on hold. We immediately went back into the customer service queue. Essentially she performed a tactic referred to in the customer service business as a “hose and close”. When we got back to another CSR (Giovanno), after waiting another 20 mins, we were told “that he doesn’t show a ticket, said he would “update the info to have somebody before 17:00” (after miraculously finding the ticket).

We then asked to speak to a supervisor, and were told that he would not send us to a supervisor, that they were “too busy”, and that he would have a supervisor call us back within a hour. It is currently 12:50 and I have not received any calls either from technician or supervisor. It has become apparent to me that Windstream:

A.) Does not value their customers.
B.) Clearly and frequently lies to their customers.

C.) Will say and/or do anything to get the customer off of the line so that they may move onto the next poor sap who choose this really crappy internet service provider.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, John. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We do care about our customers and their experiences with us. I apologize that you have had this series of miscommunication missteps. I hope that you will give me a chance to correct this. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have been a Windstream customer for 30 yrs, and overall I think they provide good value for the price. My problem in that my internet connection drops out, sometimes several times a day and I must restart my modem. I have two modems and it's the same with both. When I called to have someone check the line to my house, the lady just said that it was my modem and would not send a repairman. While buying gas one day, close to my home, I noticed that I could not use my card at the pump, when I went inside to pay, they told me that their internet connection was lost and that they had the same problem that I was having, needing to reset their connection several times daily. They are changing providers, I sure hope that I don't have to as well. I feel like I can't get service because I don't pay monthly rent for my modem. The lady told me that "these Modems are only good for about a year!!" I just find that Really hard to believe!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Paul. I am LaToya and I manage web-based review for Windstream. I understand how frustrating it must be to experience issues that prevent you from using your service as expected. Please allow me to review your concerns for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I signed up with Windstream as they are the only player in my area (Except for satellite service). I have been with Wind SCREAM for little over two years, and 5 modems later It is still a P.O.S. This last time I was down a week waiting for the "Overnight" modem that they sent to me that took 5 days to get here. I called them to adjust my billing and they took $25 off then told me that they were fixing to add $9.95 to everyone's bill per month for repairs! They have a captive audience here, they know it, and don't care.

I am supposed to have 12Mbs. On a good day I might get 3-4. But they tell me they are showing 12 on their end. I have had a new line ran to my house, from the "BOX" (40 feet from my house). The service contractors that have been out here (at least 5) have told me that the wiring is shot in the box and needs to be replaced. It looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory and the service techs shake their heads in disgust trying to find wires that work. The insulation is brittle and falls by just bending the wires. Service techs have told me that the lines are shorted out underground and the entire system needs to be replaced. There are about 30 folks in my little area and everyone is fed up with WindSCREAM. Windstream doesn't care about service as long as they get their money. Now they want to job us in the shorts for another $9.95 a month. I would rate them a negative number if it were possible, I sure wouldn't recommend them to anyone EVER.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Greg. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I sincerely apologize for the experience that you have had with your service. I hope that you will provide me the opportunity to address your concerns. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My internet was hit by a lightning storm. Called customer support. She said new box would be here in 3 days. Never came. Called back. They said it Was never ordered. Windstream again said it would be here in 5 days. Waited 5 days. Never came. Called back Windstream again. Said NOBODY ordered my new box. At some point a company needs to hold their employees responsible for mistakes. I have had nothing but problems like this for over 15-20 years and feel like if I had an option I would find another source of internet service.

My wife tries to run a small business and it is impossible with this kind of service. I work in a utility field and if I was to make these kind of mistakes I would not be at my job long. Kinda seems like the company does not care or their employees are doing this out of spite. I dread Every time I have to call Windstream about anything and It should not be like that. Looking at the reviews I'm not the only customer that had a bad experience.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Christopher. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had such a hard time getting your modem replaced. We certainly don't want you to dread calling us for help. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Scheduled my internet upgrade for this morning. They call and tell me it will be between 11 am - 3 pm... what part of "I close at 2 pm don't you understand?" Call and get NO help at all. Reschedule is week later! Ridiculous!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Bill. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that we did not honor the time-frame that you requested. However, I would like to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Hi. I have had Windstream for about 6 months and it is horrible. Internet is constantly dropping. The last month alone my internet has been off for a total of 14 days and their earliest convenience is not convenient with me. I rely on my wifi because I don't have cable or satellite tv yet. They are a joke and I'm considering dropping them if I can find another provider in my location.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Henry. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for WIndstream. Thank you for choosing Windstream as your provider. We would hate to lose you as a customer. Please give me a chance to correct the issues you are experiencing with your internet service. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I've been a customer since before 1985. Over the last 9 months, I've had internet dropped. I've contacted Windstream customer service, after being disconnected 4 times I gave support tech my phone number in case I was disconnected a 5th time. Though we had the problem solved, Not, I have to go to the end of the driveway over 200 yards to connect to Facebook. I run a business and need reliable internet. Lately, I've watched ice melt faster than my internet connects. I have the F@st 1704 Sagecom Router.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Mary. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had to contact Windstream multiple times for resolution of your issue. Please provide me the opportunity to work with you to make sure you are able to use your service properly. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

We had a credit of $86 and on because of this we were told that the scheduled payment that was due to come out on August 17 was cancelled because of the credit we had on our account. However, on Friday I learned from our bank that Windstream took the $60.56 payment and a payment fee of $6.95 which we were never told about in the beginning. Because of this payment which we were told the credit cancelled out the payment, this $67.51 now places us short for another bill.

1. Had we not been told this payment was cancelled we would have made other arrangements to cover the other bill. 2. We were never told that there was a $6.95 payment fee so why are we charged this fee. 3. We find on our current bill we are charged a $91.00 reconnect fee but was never told this when we made our payment on the August 4th. 4. We were told on Friday that a Financial Accounts Manager would call us back on Friday August 17th to resolve our issues and no one ever called back. Windstream does not practice integrity or ethical business with its customers and that is not a good way to retain clients. As a result, we are angry on how Windstream has treated us.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Brenda. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for any misinformation about your payment processing. I would like to review this issue for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I called customer service with Windstream to cancel my Internet because I went with fiber optic through my power company. They said I had to pay for the Internet for the rest of the month even though I’m not going to have it. I don’t think that’s right. If you cancel the Internet and they turn it off why should you pay for it for the next few weeks. They should give you a credit on your bill. When I started saying that Was wrong A guy named Josh just hung up on me 8/16/2018 5:43 PM. I went through the same thing with my sister. She couldn’t pay her bill because my mother passed away and they turned it off and then they kept charging her for the next few months for putting it on hold. How can you charge someone for service that they do not have. That stealing in my book.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Beverly. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I would be happy to review your final billing associate with your internet service. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

For the second time in the last month my internet has dropped one of the two lines. Called customer service and was told service date of August 22nd which is crazy when this is the same problem for the second time in the last month. Told them wanted to speak with supervisor and they sent email to my local branch manager. Was told they would get back and that was two days ago. Needless to say haven’t get a call yet. Got to love their customer service.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, John. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you are having service issues that caused you to be unable to use your internet service. Please allow me to work to restore your service as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We needed to move, so we called Windstream to check if any late fees or early terminations fees were in place for our business account. Sherita at Windstream informed me that there was a late fee on our active account but no early termination fee. She informed me the cancellation process will take 2 months so we would have to pay for 2 months whether or not we used the services. I called and talked to her and another associate in 3 different occasions asking for waiver of the late fee and also confirming that there was NO early termination fees on our account. They eventually waived our late fee and all I had to do is pay for 2 additional months until the cancellation of this business account takes effect. We paid for the 2 months which totaled more than $900 dollars to close our business account.

After which the account was closed, we were smacked with a $5000 early termination fee! I immediately contacting their disputes team, they were unable to reconcile the early termination fee that was imposed on us incorrectly. This is unethical business practice and I have confirmation numbers that I spoke with Sherita that there no early termination fees. We were so frustrated, we requested that they recall the conversations we had with Sherita. The dispute rep (Brandy) informed us that our conversation was about a CLOSED account! We thought to ourselves, why on earth would someone ask about an early termination fee for a CLOSED account?

We found out there was 1 active acct and 2 closed and she was insinuating that we were talking about the closed account. I couldn’t believe what she was saying? How could I ask for a late fee waiver on a closed account and if we were indeed talking about a closed account, how did the ACTIVE account get closed correctly? She was obviously delusional, it didn’t make sense. We felt we are being pushed into a corner and taken advantage of. I tried reaching out to disputes, but they are not replying and closed the case without any consent or rebuttal. Now the collection department is calling us and bothering us for payment. We will go to litigation regarding this unwarranted charge and hopefully with some numbers, we can get a class action going.

I tried to speak with 5 different people at Corporate, Disputes, and Customer Care. I informed them that no one would call to inquire about a dead/inactive account when they want to cancel service. If a customer called about their account and asked to check if it is under contract or month to month, common sense points to searching the active accounts. Why would anyone inquire about cancellation charges on past accounts, if inactive?

I told them that when I called those 3 times, I informed Sherita that we wanted to cancel the “current active account” (the active account where the late fee occurred, which I got credited back) and to check if there were any early termination penalties. We were loyal customers for many years! They are dead wrong to assume that my calls were about the contract that ended on Sept 2017. All they have to do is recall the conversations and they can clearly see what late fee waiver I was requesting and which account I am talking about. Total scam and dishonestly!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Charles. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for the frustration of the issues concerning the final billing for your account. Please allow me to review your billing and contract dispute for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

A week ago, I ordered service. The appointment was for 5 days laters. I received a confirmation email that they would be at my house somewhere in between 8am and 7pm. No one ever showed up, no phone call, no email. I speak with them this morning and they are ‘sorry’ (no one called). They said someone was there, but needed additional equipment to set it up. They are ‘sorry’ (that the technician didn’t respect my time enough to knock on the door to let someone know that they were there and couldn’t do the install). They are ‘sorry’ they cannot give me any type of date of when they can install. They are ‘sorry’ that they are now costing me money. So ‘sorry’ that a supervisor (Joshua @ Ext **) actually said – “What is it that you want me to do?”

I wanted service on the day that Windstream confirmed twice with me. I wanted a phone call (as they mention in the email 24 hours prior) if they could not do the install. I asked Joshua to send me an email with the details, his name and employee number and he refused to do it. Actually said no, and starts repeating the info again I told him I didn’t have a pen and asked for an email - AGAIN HE TOLD ME NO.

WINDSTREAM - since there is lack of other providers in the area, you act like we have NO CHOICE but to accept non-existent customer service, poor communication, awful attitude and employees that do not care about your customer service. Well IF this is my only choice, I will make sure that people who do have a choice know that Windstream customer service and interaction is the worst I have ever experienced. So bad that your own employees refused to put their name against it. Joshua - you could have sent me the information in an email. I explained I didn’t have a pen, and was in the car. You not wanting to identify yourself just shows that you didn’t even try to help me. Since I may not have a choice in provider, I will keep reposting so those that do have a choice go somewhere else.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Kim. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for the issues that you have had with getting service installed. I would like to make sure that service is provided and we communicate the status of your order. I have provided additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I cannot explain how horrid this service is, Windstream is the only service in my area and I am supposed to be getting 75 Mbps and I can't even get 20 Mbps. I just called in once again like I have to do normally once a week and what do you know Windstream themselves cannot even access their own system. I have had Windstream for over 10 years and should have paid in total for 10 months because that is how much my internet has worked. The reps constantly lie along with the supervisors (which I have caught them blatantly lying).

One woman was hitting the keyboard just so the noise was there until someone in the background (in her office) confronted her while I was in the call about not doing anything on her end just making the noise so it sounded like she was doing something!! If I had any other choice even if it meant paying 200$ a month instead of over 100 just for internet I would switch to another company instantly but cannot switch because Windstream owns the rights to my area. Please everyone. Save yourself the trouble and headache and go to any other company possible and run as fast as you can from these crooks!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Charles. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have issues with your internet service. Please allow me to assist with getting the service working properly. I have requested additional information via private message. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have been a Windstream customer for 20 years. Only because there is no other options. For the last 5 years I have been paying for 3 MB and getting between

5kps-1.6 MB. I have been on the phone countless times in which they reboot the broadband only to come as close as 2.5 MB that only lasts for a few weeks. Service techs have come out approx 10xs to change everything outside and inside the house. Plus change the Modems 3xs. Still the same problem. Was told more than once that their control box is too far but they will not set up a new one. Next road over is getting 16 MB. Why don’t they care about their customers? Especially 20 year customers. The whole neighborhood is disgusted with this company. Two days ago a storm killed the Internet. Three phone calls and two days later... Nothing has been done. The Bottom Line is all that matters. Disgusted!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Tom. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We do care about all our customers. I apologize that your experience has caused you to feel this way about your internet service. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We have been a Windstream customer since they bought out Alltel. 10 years ago we had Windstream internet and it was not reliable. So we switched to cable internet. We kept the Windstream phone line which we have had since 1995. Windstream has been sending mailers and saying they have fast internet now and we should sign up for it. We resisted and kept the phone line but didn't switch to their internet because of the prior bad experience. Recently, the cable company went up on their internet service price; so I started looking for alternates. Windstream came up in the Google search. I figured that in 10 years they might have gotten their act together. So I placed the order online and had to give my SSN number for a credit check. The credit was approved and they gave me an install date.

Unfortunately they are still just as bad as they were before. Reading this forum, they might even be worse. The date for installation was today August 10, 2018 between 8AM and 7PM. I received several e-mails from these folks. So I waited at home all day. I didn't receive any notification of any changes at least 24 hours prior as per their e-mail. I didn't get a call from the technician prior to his arrival. (Probably because he never arrived.) I didn't receive any other notification from Windstream after the one above on 08/08/2018.

I received a robo call two days ago confirming my date and time. So at 5:30 today, I call Windstream (at the number on the notice) to make sure they are coming. They aren't. They tell me the technician tried to hook up my internet, but he couldn't because I am already a customer. (Yep been one for 23 years.) Unless I want to disconnect my phone right now, they will not be able to hook up the internet today. The rep told me a supervisor told her to tell me that. If I didn't want to disconnect my phone today then the soonest they could come out is 8/16/2018 (six days from now).

I explained that they had not given me 24 hours notice of any change as per their e-mail. I also explained that the technician did not call me prior to his arrival as per their e-mail. She told me the technician did not come to my house. He did the work from the CO. So I put in a number port request to Ooma to port my number over. When the port is complete, I will be done with Windstream.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Joe. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had difficulty with getting internet service installed. Thank you for considering Windstream to provide this service to you. Please allow me to assist with getting this installed. I have requested additional information via private message. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Some time ago, I decided to upgrade my Service with these folks from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps. After 2 weeks waiting (for an upgrade, really?), the technician came and did a switch/change in my box outside, when he stepped inside the house to test it, it took about 5 attempts for the internet to work, after that I was left with the exact same service I had before (100 Mbps). I called, and called, and called, and called. I am now in my 7th Customer Service Rep, and 2 different tickets that have been "closed" as my issue "is considered resolved". I just opened another one and have contacted the BBB with a complaint against Windstream.

Windstream and Comcast are basically the only 2-non-satellite suppliers in the area and they hold a monopoly regionally, especially in rural areas such as mine. I am considering changing to Comcast now as I think they have removed their monthly data caps... Will drive by their store tomorrow to find out. All I want is what I will be paying for on the next bill - which I will probably not pay any increased costs as I am stuck with the same service I had before for less money.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Ben. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had this experience since upgrading your internet speed. Please provide me a chance to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs