3.23/5

588 Windstream Internet Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2019

From day one on installation I wasn't getting the speeds I was promised. I'm paying 45 a month for 132 to 200 mbs and I'm speed testing at 94 on an internet cable hardwired and 3 mbs wifi. I called and emailed and texted. Not only that but I have to reset my messed up junk modem three times in a row to get it to reconnect. If they are your ONLY choice then I feel sorry for you. I even told them to send me a new modem and I'd send them back this POS at my own expense. I'm not convinced it's the modem based on what I'm reading on other reviews but I'm willing to give it a shot. However, based on what I'm reading so far their service just **....I called to complain and was put on hold until I hung up. This company needs to die...they aren't worth a **.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Joseph. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you having speed issues that are effecting your use of your service. Please allow me to troubleshoot this issue for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2019

Live in rural Arkansas, one of the few Internets you can get is Windstream, and they really charge you for it. My grandma had paid $90+ for 1.5 mbps for years;(and the service wasn't always reliable) and got an upgrade after she passed and my Uncle was still living there. Tried to get the account transferred into his name and it turned into a big mess because he doesn't use credit. Now he has no internet after paying it for over a year after she passed and a few years before she passed.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Gabrielle. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your family has had this issue when attempting to get reliable internet service. Please allow me to review the account to determine what we can do to resolve this issue. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 1, 2019

I live in rural Arkansas. Windstream is the only service available in my area. Cell phone service is not an option because of my location. I've been stuck with Windstream for approx. 13 years. At the time of the purchase from the previous company I was getting 6 mbps computer speed. After a short period of time that speed was lowered to 3 mbps at the same cost. Now that speed has been lowered to 1 mbps but I pay for 3 mbps. The phone service is not much better with many outages. Complaints make no difference. Now Windstream will not schedule appointments. They want to call you when they have available tech. Who can sit around the house and wait to a get a call that you might or might not get. That being because they have fired most of the personnel. I can't believe that the public service commission allows them to stay in business.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Joe. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I have contacted you via private message for assistance with your service and speeds. We have not heard back from you yet but would like to assist. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: July 5, 2019

Alice, thank for the update about the resolution of your service. I am glad that we were able to get your service issues resolved.

LaToya

Original review: June 29, 2019

Been using Windstream since 2008 which was 10MB internet package back then. In 2014 they offered 25MB then 2015 - 50MB packages. Speeds have always been hit or miss. We are paying out over $100 a month for 50MB internet and phone package. After the notice in the mail about Windstream filing bankruptcy the service has had problems each month with this month being the worst yet. The phone service is hit or miss with many outages over the pass year. Internet speeds will vary from 20MB to our paid for speed of 50MB. The last 2 weeks we are getting only 7MB-12MB speeds. Barely enough speed to do anything on the internet, let alone stream a movie.

Windstream has a recorded message when calling in to report a problem, "There is an outrage in your area, and we are working on it". Each day it says it will be fixed the next day. Calls to customer service gets me the run around and the same message that they are "working on it". They will not even let me file a ticket for repairs even though I pay extra for a repair package. It has never taken weeks to get service repaired before. I am very unhappy with Windstream and will be looking for a different internet provider. That's $1200 of my money that they will no longer be getting. If you times that by all the other unhappy Windstream customers that will be leaving if they don’t clean up their service, they are going to be in for a world of hurt unless they get on top of their problems.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2019

I'm presently suppose to be getting 12 meg download speed but it's poor at best. Was informed by a service tech that I should be capable of getting 100 but for some unknown reason on routing of hubs it is not available? From looking at pricing on the internet I'm paying as much for 12 meg as other customers are paying for 100 - What's the deal with that?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Resolution response: July 10, 2019

It took a month but finally got 80% of my subscribed speed. Not as good as the original 95-99% but it satisfies my needs.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I've been with Windstream since it took over Iowatelecom and until now been very happy. My bad experience began 6/3 when I couldn't stream TV and D/L large files without TV freezing. I checked my internet speed and found it to be only 47Mb (supposed to be 100). I called WS customer service and tried to explain to the rep. It was a difficult conversation because his English was very poor. Finally he said a tech would be at my home the following Wednesday (I wasn't happy it would take that long but had no other option). Wednesday came and went without a tech showing up. But I had regained enough speed to D/L and stream at the same time.

I've been checking my speed daily since then and find it running from 46 to 91Mb (very sporadic). I also sent an email to customer service explaining my issues - ZERO response! I might also add that my speed had always been 98Mb or better until this month. So, #1, when you tell a customer a tech is scheduled to fix your problem - be sure shows up! #2, hire customer service people who can speak clear English! #3, you sell to me and bill me for 100Mb service, I expect to get 100Mb service. On these 3 points you have failed miserably. Iowatelecom/Windstream used to be wonderful. Today, not so much!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2019

We currently use Windstream for business internet and VoIP. In the last 6 months we have experienced 2 major outages that lasted more than 4 days each time. Each time Windstream blamed Frontier. Each time they said Frontier had a major line cut in two near our office. However, Frontier apparently doesn't work nights or weekends even when there is a major outage. Our business was literally shut down and each time I called Windstream the only thing I could get is "We're working on it but have no ETA for completion". During each of these outages I have asked about a credit to our bill and each time I was told that wasn't possible. Really? Well what about your 99.99% uptime guarantee you tout? You guarantee it but when that doesn't happen they just say "oh well" and hang up on you. I am switching providers in 2 weeks and it cannot come fast enough. I will NEVER - EVER - NEVER use Windstream as a provider again. EVER.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, LaDonna. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand how important reliability is for a business. I apologize that you have had outages that affected your business. Please allow us to review those outages for service credit. We would hate to lose you as a customer. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

I was charged twice for my past due balance, which debited my checking account twice for $91. Called Windstream and had to be transferred to the financial dept. What a nightmare that was! The rep was extremely rude and hung up on me. So far I've either been hung up on or disconnected while being transferred 4 times. I call back and customer service tells me there's nothing they can do but transfer me to the useless financial dept. At my wits end just trying to get someone who speaks clear English that, I can understand.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Jamie. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for this overall frustrating experience that you have had with Windstream. I would like to assist with researching this billing and payment issue for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2019

I have been a customer for 10 years and the service and customer relations has become horrible. I received a bill in the mail that stated to avoid interruption make payment by June 11 so I did. Got my email with confirmation number that everything went through. I come home today and my service is disconnected. I work from home and need internet. I call and was told by the first customer agent that this is company policy and that I should have paid 24 hours before the due date because they don’t cycle till midnight. She was very rude and told me she put my in for reconnect but will take 1-4 hours. No apology or empathy.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and after a long hold I spoke with a gentleman that did apology and said that he didn’t have the access to speed the reconnect up. I work as a senior quality specialist for a call center and know that yelling and cussing isn’t going to get you anywhere but this company cost me money today and I’m already paying for outdated overcharged service when they don’t mess up and disconnect me. I will be calling corporate in the morning and if they don’t make this right I’ll be changing providers and contacting BBB.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Kalissa. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand the urgency to get your services reconnected and I apologize that it was delayed. Please allow me to review this this for ways to improve your experience going forward. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2019

Windstream has provided me with the worst customer service....and also Internet service I have ever had!! It all started when I called almost 3 weeks before we moved to set up new customer service with Windstream. The agent set everything up and I thought great, they will come out and we will get service, but I was wrong. The tech showed up on the day and could not hook up our service because we were told the people who lived here before didn’t cancel their service but as soon as they did he would be back that day. I got in touch with the old owners and they called AGAIN (because they had already called once) and canceled service. The tech never showed back up, the next day I called customer service and they rescheduled for several days later.... The day got here and the tech didn’t show up. We rescheduled for a third time, the tech again did not show up.

When I called Windstream I was very irritated and the agent told me it was my fault I didn’t make sure the people who previously owned the house canceled their service before I tried to get service, I asked for her supervisor and was told she didn’t have one but she would put in another tech ticket and you guessed it, the tech didn’t show up. So I call AGAIN, this time the woman tells me I tried to get service at the wrong time because May and June was their busiest months, once again set up another tech ticket. This time a tech came out, and we got our Internet. We got the 12Mbs plan but it is only running at 6Mbs, so here we go again.

We have talked to tech support at least 5 times, a tech was supposed to be coming out at least 6-7 times, they were supposed to try to fix it remotely a few times and you guessed it nothing!! As of last a tech was supposed to be here yesterday 6-10 and I even got a e-mail and a text stating he was scheduled then customer service called to say he was on his way but running behind. He never showed. When I called I was told a tech was never scheduled, but one would be out today, as of today no call, no tech, no anything. We are right now paying for a service we are not getting and for some reason can’t get it resolved. If we had any other option for internet I would use it but we don’t. But I will tell everyone I know if they do have another option to go with it, anything has to be better!! I am not a happy customer, and I’m tired of hearing I am the best part of Windstream because if you all felt that way your customer service would be much better!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Hannah. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that we did not met our commitment or your expectations. I understand how frustrating this must be. Please allow me to address your installation and internet concerns. I have requested for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 11, 2019

The general problem that I have found with Windstream over the past few years is the customer service. In the very often situation of issues with service I try to call only to speak with an outsourced employee. They are often rude and are often difficult to understand. The last time I contacted someone about our service going in and out in the evenings I was told to “go to Hell” when I politely asked if I may speak with someone who is a bit more fluent with the English language. It is quite astounding that with the amount of money we pay each month all we ask for is good service and someone we can speak to when there is an issue without someone being rude to us.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Jason. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you had this experience when attempting to get assistance with your service. Our representative should all be able to provide great, polite service to our customers and I apologize that wasn't the case. Please provide me the chance to address this experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 24, 2019

The experience thus far has been less than satisfactory. Ordering was a complete nightmare. We place the order and was told that it would take a week for the Tech to come and install. A week passes no tech shows, we call back and they tell us that they had a "problem" with their ordering service and that the order was filed but none of the customer information was populated. They then tell us that it will be an additional four days for a tech to be dispatched. Four days come and the Tech never showed up. The tech "claimed" to have come by and call, this was just a flat lie, I was home all day and the call logs showed no attempts. They then tell us there is nothing they can do about this and assign another tech to be dispatched but that it would take another week to have the order fulfilled.

I wish that was the end of the nightmare. We were told that we would be receiving the 50 Mbps packages, however, when the tech finally did show up he has "12mbps" on the order form. The tech then informs me that the servicing address could only receive up to 25 Mbps if the line is G-bonded. The tech told us to call customer service and inform them that we want to have it g-bonded. After calling and scheduling another appointment the tech was finally dispatched again. The problem is he tells us that he isn't able to g-bond the cables to speed up the internet. He did mention that if Windstream would put a remote here that we would be able to have the 50 Mbps, but from his tone, it was clear that Windstream would not want to provide that.

The customer service department then tells us the price is the same because it is a base rate regardless of how slow the speed is. I have tested my speed on a regular basis and the highest speed that I have encountered is 10 Mbps with the lowest at .47 Mbps. The problem is that it is constantly under 1 Mbps. Simple upload of 800 Mb took over three hours to perform.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Joshua. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had this experience when setting up service. Please allow me to review this and determine the best course to improve your service and experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I moved to Smithland, KY in 2008 and signed up for Windstream because here it is the ONLY option for DSL. I have had 127 “open tickets” for service problem last in 9 years. I have had 5 different modems, my whole front yard trenched up by them, and they can never ever find why our internet if off 2 to 8 days every single month! Every time it rains, it goes down. We have replaced every line from our junction box to inside our home. It is not US it is Windstream. Hours and hours and dozens of tech calls. Men coming here in vans and NEVER fixing this problem. It’s down right this very moment. The 800 number says our service should be up in the next 72 hours???? Have I ever been given 1 dime of a refund??? No! In 9 years!

The second another company offers service in Smithland I will drop Windstream instantly! I hope they go bankrupt like the rumors on the web say. They are a joke of a company. Holding rural customers hostage because we have no other choice. And my simple no tv, only medium speed DSL is $99 a month!!!! I could have a cable modem at that price if I lived in the city, and it is ten times faster! We can’t check our email, watch our smart TVs or even listen to music on our devices. It is so slow it will not stream. Do NOT buy anything from Windstream. You will regret it!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Bobbi. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I can understand your frustration with the repeat issues that you have had with your service. Please provide me a chance to review the service issue for resolution. We would hate to lose you as a customer and would like to improve your Windstream experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We have been out of Internet service for 3 weeks. Each time we spend 30-60 minutes on a call, we are told they can’t come out for at least a week. They recently told us we needed the higher speed Kinetic service and a new line. Now our TVs don’t work or go out periodically during a show. The extender we have does not work either. The new higher speed program they are promoting is a joke.

We have been customers for over 20 years and the products and service decline with each passing year. They run a monopoly and know we have no other choice. I don’t particularly blame the workers because they can only do so much with sub-par products and equipment, but the corporate heads are the real sleaze bags. If you can go with another company, do it and run as fast and as far from Windstream as you can possibly get! We are now out of phone data and have not had decent service for almost a month. We are dropping our landline to try and save money from this overpriced monopoly.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, L. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you are having issues with service. I would like for you to be able to use your service as you need. Please provide me an opportunity to explore options to improve your experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 19, 2019

90% of the time I have to reset everything - router, tv connection and phone. It just can't handle 2 devices and shuts down. 30-45 minutes to reset everything. So annoying. Windstream is not a good provider and does not provide what they say.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Jacqueline. I am LaToya and I manage web-based review for Windstream. I understand how frustrating this internet issue is. I would like the chance to do troubleshooting on what may causing your issues. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 17, 2019

I never had Windstream but if I didn’t already have it I wouldn’t get it because the overall process was just horrible. First I did the call to tell a representative that I wanted service. That went well but what I didn’t understand was why I was being put on hold constantly throughout the call for long periods of time. But not only that. They couldn’t verify my identity so they said so my order wasn’t processed. I would have to call them in 48 hours to verify my order but it didn’t end there. I called the following two days and the representative couldn’t even find my order. It took about 30 minutes then once she found it I had to be transferred to another department.

When I was transferred I had to put down a deposit but I understand my credit is not that good and I didn’t have a problem putting the deposit but in most cases when you put down the deposit it goes towards your bill but no. The representative told me that it doesn’t - that they gonna keep the money and refund it back to me after 12 months with them. WTF. I DIDN’T OPEN A SECURED CREDIT CARD SO WHY IS MY MONEY BEING KEPT. At that point I should've just canceled the whole process but I didnt I gave them the benefit of doubt. I paid the deposit after everything was finalized. The cherry on the cake was she told me they will not install my internet until 2 weeks. That’s when a technician will be available. Like come on. 2 weeks. Why does it take that long. I have my modem. Just turn it on. I don’t need a technician to do anything. Do now. I’m out of internet until the technician arrives.

Honestly if I would’ve known this was the process I would’ve went straight to Xfinity. Even though it’s expensive I wouldn’t mind. Their customers service is spectacular and my internet would be working as soon as my order was completed. No time wasted. This is just a horrible first time impression. I would not recommend Windstream to no one.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Oladayo. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had this experience when setting up service. We would love to have you as a customer and hope that you will give us a chance to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 14, 2019

3 weeks ago out for 3 hours. Last week out for 2 or 3 hours. Today out for 2 or 3 hours. High speed works ok when it's on. Hard to plain to clients why internet goes out so often and they have another provider and no problems. When can we get so competition here?

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, John. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had continual issues with service. Please allow me to review this issue to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 13, 2019

I've been a Windstream Internet + Landline customer for a little over 3 years & I have been very happy with the product service, the customer service & the technical support. It's a little pricey for the fastest high speed Internet, but I'm in the boonies, so what can I do? Got to have it! I don't watch TV, so there's a savings right there (who needs it anymore with Internet?) & when Windstream noticed that I only use my Landline for emergencies & the occasional 800 number, they offered me a significant discount (my overall bill went down an average of $40 - $50!). Can't beat that deal with a stick.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Kim. Thank you for providing the positive feedback about your service and experience. We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to provide you a quality experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 11, 2019

I have been a Windstream customer for 7 years (no other options). The internet service they provide is at best poor. I’m continually sometimes twice a day resetting my modem. I Speed test often and the speed will range anywhere from 0-6 throughout the day. Called today to see if a new modem could resolve some of my issues. Only to be told I could only rent one. Not going to happen. I pay too much for the service already. P.S. It’s 2019. Most everyone knows how to unplug a modem to reboot.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Matthew. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand how frustrating it must be to have to reset your modem constantly. We want you to have the best experience. We have reached out to you previously. We haven't received your account information for assistance with this. Please provide this information via private message for assistance.

LaToya

Original review: May 10, 2019

Just recently moved into an apartment in Dahlonega, GA. The service being paid for is their Kinetic Internet 100 option, which SHOULD range from 75-100 Mbps in speeds. On a day when all my roommates are gone and it's just me at home, my speed tests never hit higher than 12-15 Mbps. It is beyond ridiculous how throttled the internet is because Windstream doesn't care about their customers. I cannot understand how a company in this day and age can care so little about their customers and expect to have people come back. Fix your ** WIndstream, you are in for a really bad wake up call if you don't.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Desmond. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you are having issues with slow speed for your subscribed service. I really would like to get this fixed for you. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 6, 2019

As a working business we rely heavily on our internet daily. With Windstream Enterprise/Communications we consistently had issues. It seemed like every other week with always being down, no tech support. When we needed them to come on site aways took an arm and leg for them to send someone out. This in return hurt us. So we decided to switch over to AT&T (since they piggy backed off them anyways). Gave them notice on 9/30 and we knew about the early term buyout fee we had to pay when leaving them and I knew we had to keep our services on for 30 days after giving notice so 10/29. I was okay with this.

When it came time for our last billing cycle they about tripled the price. Not at all what it should have been, nor did it match what they originally sent me in a spreadsheet as a finally tally for early term buyout (End of term 12/31). I started calling straight away once I received the bill and it was showing the incorrect amount. They kept pushing me off saying they will get it fixed. Every month I received my bill with still the incorrect amount on it. I would call asking them to fix it so I can show account paid in full, they would say wait until next billing cycle. Always someone different and no one to directly talk to in regards to the account and billing issues (they use a third party auditor not available to talk with directly).

Now here it is May (5 months later) and they still have yet to resolve this. They've now turned us over to a collection agency (which let's face it is never any fun to deal with). Who really doesn't know what the situation is, they just know what they've been told. I've tried to explain the situation to them, providing all the emails and proof of my correspondence with Windstream and calculations sheets; and basically not they don't care they just not wanting to listen to what I have. Needless to say, We will never be a customer again of theirs. They are the worst company to deal with all around. A very unprofessional unorganized company. I will warn any and everyone I know to stay far away from them business and personally.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Jennifer. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that your experience has caused you to move to another provider. Please allow us to review your experience for ways to improve going forward. I have requested your account information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 2, 2019

The problem has been going on for 2 months now and they have sent 7 Techs out to my house now. Call after call to the Customer service all go through the same speech. All they know how to do is create a new ticket. I'm stuck in a endless loop with no resolution in sight.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Robert. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand your frustration and apologize that you have not been able to get this issue resolved. Please provide me the chance to troubleshoot your service for resolution. I have requested you account information via private message. Please provide that information at your convenience.

LaToya

Original review: April 28, 2019

For the last several months I have been paying the additional $10 per month for high speed internet service. What was I thinking. Windstream cannot reliably deliver service under their standard contract with residential customers. To complain, their local office now has refused to answer phone calls. Since they are the sole ISP for my area (Dahlonega, GA), options are nonexistent. Now I know why they serve rural communities, no competition; thus, a “take it or leave” mentality.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Michael. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you are having issues with the speed of your internet service. We would like to address those concerns for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: April 18, 2019

This has got to be the worst company I have been with! EVER!!! I bought a fax machine and there was some kind of connection issue, I call Windstream and they have me do a ten second reset... My modem never came back on (so situation went from bad to worse ). It’s now been two days and all they can tell me is that I can expect a technician at my house sometime within the next 48 hours... I mean seriously WTF? And the kicker is I literally live right across the street from Windstream!!! To some this may not be a big deal but I left my cable company to go to these knot heads and everything in my house from everything I watch on TV to my computers to my phone all runoff of Wi-Fi shakes my head! And don’t even get me started on how they treat you over the phone. I hope this company goes under more than anything! WINDSTREAM SUCKS!

Windstream Internet response

Hi William. My name is Amanda and I work at Windstream. I assist with online based reviews in order to resolve concerns such as yours. I appreciate your recent review though regret your experience. Please view the private message I am sending to you and respond with the requested information so we may help you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I called today to discuss downgrading my service to Internet only. The price quoted was 20-30 dollars higher than other internet services providers. I would think there would be a lower price for existing customers!

Windstream Internet response

Hi Danier. Thank you for your recent review of Windstream. We would be happy to review your account and make sure you are getting the best possible pricing available. Please respond to the message we sent you and we'll be glad to see what we may be able to do for you. Thank you. - Amanda with Windstream

Original review: April 15, 2019

We were without internet for 2 months due to the local power company cutting the internet cable; was told we wouldn’t have to pay those 2 months; resumed normal payments in December; woke up to no internet 3 times now due to “non-payment “. Found out they sent our account to collections for no reason and the payments I had been making were going to that account without my authorization instead of the current account they created-also without authorization. Received another disconnect notice after making a $90 payment-shows our past due is $80. Canceling this account ASAP.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Amber. Thank you for your recent review of Windstream. My name is Amanda with Windstream and I would like to help you resolve your concerns. I regret the experience you have had. Please respond to the private message which is requesting account information and I'll be happy to review the account and assist you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Windstream is the only high speed ISP in my area. They’ve had a monopoly contract for over 15 years. They do not care about their customers. They don’t have to. It’s Windstream or satellite and they exploit it. Their customer service reps are horrid and vindictive with bad attitudes and no comprehension of the English language. There are never satisfactory technician tickets scheduled in a timely matter. They do not care if you work from home and depend on them. If you have any other choice go with it. Windstream will bring you nothing but unpredictable service, loss wages and headaches! I cannot wait for them to go bankrupt or for someone to buy them out. Worst run company I’ve ever had the displeasure of doing business with.

Windstream Internet response

Hi there. Thank you for your recent review of Windstream. We regret to hear of your experience and would like to help resolve any concerns you may have. My name is Amanda and I work at Windstream. I sent you a message regarding your concerns requesting further information. Please review and respond. We'll be glad to see what we can do to help you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Promised 200mbps - I get 7 mbps download, .91 mbps upload. I believe that I was given a sales pitch, and I bought it. It is the weekend and I cannot connect to customer service until Monday!!! I asked about DSL and the sales agent said that it is the name of their fiber optic.

Windstream Internet response

Hello. My name is Amanda with Windstream. I assist in responding to online reviews in order resolve service concerns. I sent you a private message requesting further information in order to do. Please respond and we'll be glad to see what we can do for you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: March 30, 2019

My residence has been a loyal customer of Windstream for 8 months despite slow speeds. However, in the past week and a half, something fishy started happening. Multiple devices in our home started disconnecting spontaneously, and our internet speed started to plummet. After resetting the modem 15 times in the past week, nothing changed and it got worse, with latency skyrocketing to 2700 and download speed dropping to 300kbps. Our devices were not able to connect at all for two days, at which point I called Windstream for assistance. After a 30 min phone call in which they claimed they were "sending signals" to improve our internet to no avail, they told me the earliest they could send a technician is in 3 days, and that they will upcharge if the modem needs replacing.

Meanwhile, I'm unable to do any work from home while taking care of kids for a friend in the hospital. Reading reviews on here seems to confirm that Windstream's services are abysmal, with many others facing similar issues. Bottom line -- they are the worst internet provider I've ever had. If my issues aren't resolved ASAP I will be transferring to a new provider immediately.

Windstream Internet response

Good afternoon Keaton, my name is Latoya and I manage Windstream's web based reviews. I am sorry to see we have been unable to provide the best experience possible when it comes to your internet needs. I'd be happy to take a look and see what we can do to get this resolved and gain your confidence as your provider. I've sent you a private message requesting some additional information so we can address your concerns and look forward to your response.

-Latoya

Windstream Customer Experience

Original review: March 28, 2019

They mainly utilize DSL in most all but commercial instances where their revenues are highest. They provide the slowest DSL service imaginable but will solicit you ad nauseam that you can have 10 mbps speed but you must lease one of their modems for $10 per month in addition to your service fee. The modem is nothing more than a base modem that any equivalent would cost $50. If you lease their modem, you will pay $600 for 60 months of service. How's that for a company that promises to bring you faster internet at lower prices?

Our service had been placed at 10 mbps sometime back through an unsolicited phone call by Windstream, then suddenly returned to 6 mbps. When we called to complain about the slow speed, they stated a technician would be out to inspect the system. When we called because they did not show, they stated that they were not aware of any service ticket, that no call was made to them and that our internet had never been 10 mbps. Naturally, everyone you speak to is from a call center somewhere in India or other country and they keep apologizing in accordance with a script designed to assist you with your problem. When you push hard enough, they finally connect you to the U.S.-based customer service who will describe a scenario entirely differently than the one actually taking place. If you then have no other questions for them, your call is over. End of story. If you have any alternatives, explore them well before choosing Windstream.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, R. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand your concern about the modem lease price. I would like to review your account for ways to reduce the overall pricing while still providing you faster speeds that may be available to you. We have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs