3.7/5 (479 ratings)

About Kinetic Internet by Windstream

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 100 Mbps. The company provides unlimited internet usage with no data caps or overage charges. There are also no long-term contracts, so customers aren’t locked into a commitment and can cancel anytime.

What is Windstream Internet?

Windstream is a high-speed broadband internet service provider that operates in some parts of the United States. It provides DSL internet, which connects through a phone line at a much faster rate than dial-up speeds.

The company’s offerings vary by state. One factor to note is that the internet speeds available to you also depend on your location. Some communities get speeds up to 1 Gbps, while other places may have much slower speeds. Because of this, pricing also varies widely by area. It’s essential to look at what Windstream provides in your city to know whether it’s the right choice for you.

Windstream Internet plans

The Windstream website offers three main internet plans: Kinetic 200, Kinetic 500 and Kinetic GIG. Depending on where you live, Windstream might offer bundle plans with TV and phone services at a discounted rate. Other possibilities that may be available in your area include Kinetic 25, 100 or 400, which are internet-only packages.

• Kinetic 200 offers up to 200 Mbps of high-speed internet. This plan is suitable for entertainment. Customers can download HD movies or shows, stream HD video on multiple devices or play multiplayer online games.
  • Kinetic 500 offers up to 500 Mbps speeds. This plan works best for heavy internet usage, particularly if there are multiple people in the house. It lets you download large media files and stream music and video on several devices at once.
  • Kinetic GIG provides speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is the best internet experience Windstream offers. The company recommends it for households using lots of smart home technology.

Windstream Internet prices

Windstream Internet prices typically range from $35 to $90 per month. The cost of Windstream's internet service varies based on the package you choose and your location. Contact a Windstream customer service agent to get pricing information for your specific location.

There are some other pricing factors to keep in mind. Often with internet service providers, your initial cost is a promotional cost and the price raises after the promotion period ends. It’s important to find out whether the price you’re paying is a regular or promotional offer. Windstream offers a discount for low-income households through the federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Windstream Internet FAQ

Where is Windstream Internet available?
Windstream Internet is available in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas
Is Windstream Internet DSL or cable?
Windstream offers DSL internet service. This type connects through your phone line instead of a cable.
Does Windstream Internet require a phone line?
No, Windstream Internet does not require an active phone service.
Does Windstream have a data cap?
No, there are no data caps with Windstream plans.

Is Windstream Internet good?

Whether Windstream internet is a good choice for you depends on one major factor: your location. There are vast differences in internet speeds based on your state and city. The best way to know whether Windstream internet is right for you is to find out precisely what is available in your location. There are some excellent things about Windstream, particularly the lack of data caps and contracts. So if the speed and the price in your location work for you, Windstream can be a worthy choice.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

This company is clearly double dipping with EBB funding. I’ve contacted lifeline support and there is an investigation that has started due to their handling of people’s applications. I applied and got approved for EBB back in June, I called Windstream my provider and spoke to a customer service rep who told me to download the kinetic app and fill out the windstream EBB application. I filled out that application and was told it could take 3 billing cycles before it was approved.

3 months later I receive an email from a Kinetic service rep stating that my EBB application expired and I have to reapply. WELL OF COURSE it expired, they’re taking 3 months to get to your application, causing you to not be able to have your credit applied to your account. How is it our fault this company took 3 months to approve an application? Very ODD they make you wait 3 months, the same time it takes for your EBB application to expire. An abuse of funds claim has been filed with lifeline support against this company so I urge anyone who’s dealing with this FRAUD to call Lifeline and file an abuse of funds claim.

Then to make matters WORSE, I applied for LIFELINE, being that my EBB application was supposedly “expired” and got approved 09/02/21. I emailed the customer service rep back and gave her my Q code to apply to my account. She told me that I was expired again. HOW!?!? It doesn’t expire until November. This is literally not okay. This company needs to be investigated. People get approved and need this help.

I contacted corporate and explained my entire situation, they got back to the woman helping me and told her I’ve signed up with a different provider which is NOT TRUE. I live in the country and there’s no other provider for my area. LIES. They are doing everything in their power to not implement this help for people and it’s disgusting and this is ILLEGAL. We should not be forced to be played with like this. Once we are approved, stop playing games with people’s lives and GIVE THEM THEIR CREDIT. Disgusted with this company putting people already struggling through HELL. Anyone going through this I urge you to reach out to lifeline support and file an abuse of funds claim against this company. The more claims filed they will be forced to investigate this FRAUD. You don’t hear about any other company putting their customers through this. DISGUSTING

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I will scream it from the rooftops HORRIBLE SERVICE. I've been without service since Saturday (it's now Thursday). The internet service constantly drops or completely goes out...Which has been a nightmare. I work from home. I've called service multiple times and you will hold for hours (and the line drops). You try to escalate through Chat, ask for a supervisor, even attempt to cancel and nothing. I've filed complaints at this point with the FCC and BBB. I wouldn't recommend this service to an enemy. The local store employees are incredibly nice, but service line employees are to understand language wise.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello. I am sorry to hear of your experience with us regarding your connection and reaching support for assistance. Please allow me to take a look if you still find necessary by emaililng your account informition to wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you, Maggie

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

During high usage times (which seems like ALL the TIME) my cell phone and PC act like Dial Up...I have contacted them so many times. Talked to people overseas and they don't get it. One told me I don't even HAVE WIFI. What? I have called and called to no avail. I am switching to Spectrum. I have been with them for a 1 year and a half. I HATE IT!!!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Denise! I certainly apologize this has been your internet experience with us. Please email me your account or telephone number to wincanhelp@windstream.com and I'll see what we can do to improve your connection. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Company does not communicate professionally. My initial order for the service recorded my information incorrectly. I have called and corrected my information every month. Still received no billing information or final payment notification outside of threat to send my information to a collections agency.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Corbin! I've received and just sent a follow up email. Thanks!

Original review: July 21, 2021

We switched to Windstream about 9 months ago. We live in a rural area & I WFH 100% so I wanted faster uploads. I’m sorry we switched! Windstream will sell you on fast speeds but after about 3 weeks they are significantly less, like 100 mps to 30 mps. And I lose service every 2 weeks, it’s like clockwork but they don’t know why. I go without service for at least a full day up to 10 days! Terrible situation when you WFH. And such poor customer service, very long wait times, no one department seems to know what the other one is doing, no consistency in customer support. I was better off with my previous provider. I’m planning to go back to them. I’m tired of paying for high speed but getting average to low speed and terrible service and support.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Tracy, I'm sorry you've been having issues with your service and this has been your experience. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I'll check out your service & see what we can do! Thanks!

Original review: July 18, 2021

I have had Kinetic internet for four days. It has been a disaster. The wifi modem Kinetic installed does not extend thru the house. The internet falls off my cell phone every time I go outdoors. I have to delete Kinetic internet off my wifi on my cell phone when I come into the house then reinstall it. Kinetic technical support pretty much told me that 1. I am an idiot, 2. I have to buy a modem to install in the upstairs and the main floor in order to get internet and a wifi extender. The modem is in the basement like I always had. Spectrum modem extended throughout the house with no problem and outside to the driveway and garage. This is **. If Spectrum has a modem that gives me wifi throughout the house, Kinetic should have the same service. Just today I had to reconnect my wifi on my cell 5 times because I was gardening. Do not get this internet from Kinetic. It is worthless.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Julia, I apologize you are having issues. I'd like to escalate this issue with the local manager to take a look. Please email with your account information at wincanhelp@windstream.com if you need any assistance moving forward. Thanks!

Original review: July 16, 2021

The internet quality is slow most of the time. I live in an area where Kinetic is our ONLY option. Getting a technician out takes a very long time. I was estimated to have a tech out on the 21st. That's 8 days after I requested one. They said it's due to the storming in the area. I find that odd since the storm season in Florida is extremely predictable and hence should have been prepared for. I believe they underserved our area because they know as a consumer we have next to no choice for who we can choose for internet services.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

John, I certainly apologize for the delay in repair. If you need someone to take a look next time, send me an email at wincanhelp@windstream.com and I'll see what we can do. Also, I'd like to ensure you were compensated back for the time you were without service. Thanks!

Original review: July 12, 2021

As a long term Windstream customer in a relatively rural area, I feel very qualified and obligated to warn as many people as I can about how poor this ISP is. Pros: No data caps. Cons: Poor customer service, very long wait times, no one department seems to know what the other one is doing, no consistency in customer support, no ability to dial 911 just about every time it rains, very pricey for less than 10 Mbps. Kinetic has no interest in upgrading the 40-year-old copper lines with which they provide DSL service on my street. I can't believe how much Kinetic lies to their long-term customers. I'd have left Windstream long ago, but they are the only ISP in my area. Beware!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response
    Jim, I'm really sorry to hear of your experience with us. I'd like to look into your connection to see if anything else can be done. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com and I'll be in touch!

Thanks!

Resolution response: Aug. 8, 2021

The company has resolved the issue and I was finally able to receive the EBB Credit. Though due to the hassle to receive the credit, being repeatedly given wrong information, not receiving a follow up when I was told that a Windstream Representative would follow up with me, and the rude behavior of one of the Windstream Representatives on one occasion in particular when this Representative was assisting me in this resolution process, I am only updating my review to a three star review. Though I truly appreciate several of the Windstream Representatives who assisted me in the resolution of this complaint, who were very professional. I also really appreciate Windstream making things right with me and applying the EBB Credit!

Original review: June 17, 2021

I was approved by the USAC, through the National Verifier, for the EBB Credit, and even though I already submitted my information to my internet provider, Windstream, in order to receive the EBB Credit, Windstream refuses to provide the credit. Windstream sent me an email falsely stating that the USAC has denied me for the EBB Credit, and this is false, as I was approved for the credit. I have proof that I have been approved by the USAC for the credit. I called Windstream to speak to someone about this and a Customer Service Representative tried to give me the runaround, and even went so far as to try and convince me that I had not been approved for the credit, that I misunderstood the email the USAC sent me which clearly states I have been approved for the credit.

I don’t know if Windstream simply isn't training their Customer Service Representatives on the EBB Credit or if there is something more unethical going on here, though this is awful customer service. This same Customer Service Representative I just referred to also kept repeatedly trying to talk over me and simply wanted to get me off the phone and not deal with the issue. She was clearly trying to manipulate the conversation and she was just ridiculously condescending.

To make matters worse, I called Windstream again after I got off the phone with the EBB Customer Service Center (the EBB Customer Service Representative was much more polite), and the Customer Service Representative that I got this time around was much more polite, though she also seemed lost and a bit confused on how the EBB Credit works. Initially,  this Windstream Customer Service Representative tried to give me wrong information and when I suggested we call the EBB on a 3 way call to ensure that I would receive the EBB Credit and that we had fixed any issues regarding the credit, she agreed, and then I guess she dropped the call because the line went dead after waiting for several minutes.

This same Customer Service Representative didn't call me back, and after an hour of trying to resolve this issue, and 3 phone calls later, I still have no idea if I will ever see the EBB Credit I was already approved for. Since Windstream accepted Federal Funds in order to provide this EBB Credit, they need to actually follow through on their word and use these funds appropriately and issue the funds to those who qualify for the credit.

You would think that the funds for the EBB Credit are coming directly out the pockets of these Windstream employees because of how incredibly difficult it is to actually receive the EBB Credit once you've been approved. This is just all really unethical and a really bad look on Windstream at this point. I let EBB know what was going on and I also made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Not only for myself, but for the potentially thousands of customers like myself who are likely being given the runaround by Windstream as well. I had a strong gut feeling that Windstream would make the process as difficult as possible in order to receive the credit, and I was right. I wish I had been wrong in this instance. Maybe the BBB will help, I guess we'll see.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Rhia, I'm sorry there has been a delay in processing your documentaion and EBB qualificaiton. I can confirm with our management team that we've received your paperwork and that the credits get applied. Please email me your documents and account number to wincanhelp@windstream.com and I will provide an update there once completed! Thank you!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I have had nothing but problems with Windstream. I had no Internet and it took them over a month to get my internet up. I recently tried to upgrade to their fiber. They could not give me a time window. Just sometime during the day (when I have work). When the tech finally showed up and called me (which he said he had a time window so I don't know why the person on the phone could not access that time window) he said the box was not active and could not hook up anything. Techs came the next day (another day I had to miss work) and hooked up everything. Went to turn on the fiber and found out that there is an issue with the data center in my area. They do not have something set up correct (the automated text I got said they may require the "construction of additional facilities").

Other people in the area have been waiting over a month for Windstream to fix this problem. Why would a company say they offer a service, to only not make it actually available to customers and cause their customers more headache. I plan to switch ISP because this is unacceptable. This is how they treat 18+ year customers. Very disappointed.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Dakota, I'm happy to hear that we were able to get this resolved. Myself and my co-worker manage the Facebook pages as well so please feel free to reach out directly via DM moving forward. In my opinion, it is the easiest and quickest way to get a resolution on any issues you may be experiencing.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Company Information