Windstream Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Made a appointment with them because my internet is so slow. So I was told I needed a new modem and that a tech need to come out to hook it up but no one needed to be home for this to be done. I got a call from the tech the next day and he said he was at my home but someone does have to be here. So they set it up for him to come back the next day between 9 PM to 5 PM. After taking off work and wasting a whole day's pay at 5 PM Windstream calls and says the tech can't make it and we will have to reschedule for the 21st which is two weeks away. But after telling them we need internet sooner than that they keep saying that is the soonest date available and would not let us speak to someone higher up.

So when we got off the phone nothing was solved. Well the next day without them telling us they send the tech out and he calls us to see if we were home. He was in our driveway. We told him no we are on vacation all weekend and that they told us it was going to be the 21st. So he told us to call Windstream. Well after staying on hold a hour and going back and forth with this lady she says there is nothing to be done. The appointment is still set for the 21. Windstream has the worst customer service out there and they know they have you because they are the only internet service in our area.

I am counting the days (and there are many) until my contract is over. When we signed up our two locations (one company) they "accidentally" opened 4 accounts. It took months to straighten out-and I feel I was overcharged. The rates keep going up and up and we have gotten COX internet because Windstream did not analyze correctly what we needed and sold us a sub-standard bill of goods. To add faster internet they wanted an additional $800+ dollars. Cox gave us what we needed for a little over $200.

When something isn't working you get to call and be transferred around. Sometimes I have been on the phone trying to get to the right dept. for up to 3 hours. Then they try to blame Allworx or AT&T for their inadequacies. AT&T proved that the lines coming into our building were clear and it was Windstream's static. The cost is way too high, almost as high as the frustration level if you sign up for service with Windstream. TRY ANYONE ELSE--they are the worst.

Our Attorney General requested customers of a couple other providers (I believe Verizon and TW) to run internet speed checks and report the results. We ran it just to see what we, as Windstream customers, were receiving. Paying for 3 Mbps and getting less than 1 you would think is unacceptable even for the company, but it is standard. So I call and ask about my results, they try to sell me a plan that guaranteed 1 Mbps but was more than the 3 Mbps I was already paying for. What do I get with my next bill -- AN INCREASE, because my bill hasn't increased in years (guess I was lucky for a little while). Besides the increase what I found out was that our area is in need of an upgrade for the system. So when do you think they told us that the upgrade was coming? NO PLANS. And what options do we have??? None unless we want to go to a satellite. Would I recommend Windstream to anyone -- NO.

I have been in the medical administration business for 30 years. I have never dealt with a worse vendor in my entire career. Support is not responsive and never seem to completely resolve our problems. We have been with Windstream over 3 years and the service and equipment and connection performance has never been what has been promised nor has support been responsive. The only reason I gave them a 1 star is because 0 stars is not available. My frustration is at 1000 stars.

I have been paying for Windstream's premium internet service for nearly a year and have yet to have continuous service. I have called and complained and they sent out service techs who are by far wonderful. They found a broken cable about a 1/2 mile from my house, eventually got it replaced (had to wait on the engineers) and now every time there is an outage or a problem in the hub, I end up having to get another router. I made a complaint to the GA Public Service Commissioner's Office (online) and it was a matter of days that Windstream Corporate Office was calling me, giving me the contact info of the lady who was overseeing the resolution of the issues. I have had one episode since that conversation and believe me, I still have her information. I have received numerous credits for the months that I have been receiving substandard service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

I have been experiencing extremely slow internet speeds on my desktop and my roommate and her son, who connect wirelessly, have had a difficult time staying connected at all for several weeks. I finally did a speed test and my download speed was 2.21mbps and upload was .41mbps. I called Windstream and was told that they were having a "know issue" with my kind of router and that they had no idea if or when it would be fixed. Since I rely on my connection for my college classes, this is completely unacceptable. If this is a known issue, they need to notify their customers and either fix it or replace the existing routers with ones that have no issues, but their answer is to hope that no one will notice or will be too stupid to question it. I am paying for the highest speed connection they offer and can barely connect, but they just keep taking my money and say and do nothing.

As a conscious consumer I set for up installation of new services 2 weeks in advance of the date that I was moving into my new home. This installation date was critical for monitoring medical equipment, communications at the house and to be able to work from home. The experience to date with Windstream has been horrible, very time consuming and extremely stressful. I was given numerous "excuses" why the date for services did not occur. Everyone just seemed to make up some different excuse. We were never contacted to be advised of a change in the installation date (without me initiating a call). I have spent countless hrs. on the phone and been given several dates for installation of the inet that just push out further and further. I have a 0 confidence level that I will have inet installed by the current date promised of Jan. 24th (or any date) as previous commitments have not been kept.

I have traveled and worked all over the country and established phone and inet services with basically every provider imaginable. No installation date or time was ever missed. This leads me to the conclusion that Windstream is the worst provider in the industry. With no reservation I can say that Windstream's commitment to customer service is the worst I've ever come across. Personally as a matter of work ethics, I couldn't work for a company that is as uncaring about the consumer and as dysfunctional as Windstream. In doing research on complaints about Windstream I find that I am not alone.

Today I contacted HughesNet and was on the phone for less than 10 minutes, established an account and have a confirmed installation date and time on Jan. 14th. I also have a confirmation by email of the installation date. Aside from the ease of communication with them, I learned that I will have higher speed at less cost that what Windstream can provide. WAKE UP - THERE ARE VIABLE OPTIONS BESIDES WINDSTREAM. Unless Windstream can get my inet up and running before Jan. 14th (when HughesNet installs their equipment) I will terminate all services with Windstream on Jan. 15th. I will also post my review and comments about Windstream on every comment board I can find on the Inet. In case you haven't ever checked the reviews out there are horrible. I highly encourage Windstream to work to improve their customer service and reputation in the industry.

This has been an issue going for at least three years now. I've opened countless support tickets and spent hours on the phone and waiting for techs at home. I got the 12Mbps package they offer, but I hardly get those speeds. If lucky I will get 3 or 4 Mbps a couple days, but the average I get is below 1 Mbps. Customer service always blames it on the devices I have connected and that those devices consume all the bandwidth and that's why I have slow speeds. I have run countless speed tests (and of course documented) connected via cable and wireless, with phones, tablets, computers, video game consoles, with all the devices connected to the internet, just one connected, you name it, all the combinations I can come up and the results are always consistent, less than 1Mpbs.

Every time I report it, it takes around 30 to 45 minutes for them to pick up the phone and their service reps are rude and most of the time seems they are doing me a favor picking up the phone. Let me say that their field techs are amazing, friendly and helpful as much as they can. One time I asked for a credit on my account for weeks of poor service and one of their reps (I'm sad I didn't record that call) told me if I didn't pay my full bill Windstream would screw up my credit report. So, if you can avoid this provider do it. If you can't, I'm sorry, you will be paying for a poor service like if it were a premium service, bad customer service and an outdated infrastructure.

Had to call numerous times to obtain service because this pricey company is the only company available in my area! Then when they came out they did not bury the line yet they ran it across my yard and into my neighbor's yard! So I had to call again to have them come out to bury the line. Then I never received a bill and could not go online because I did not have the home phone number nor did I ever receive an account number. Getting CS on the line was horrific. I was then notified that I was being charged extremely high late fees BUT I NEVER RECEIVED A BILL!!!! AND NO ONE WOULD ANSWER THE PHONE!!!! After finally contacting CS, they transferred me to the Financial Department for another 25 minute wait!!! This is horrible and I finally said forget it! My kids will just have to go to McDonald's or the library because I refused to be ripped off by such a horrible company with horrible WIFI and customer service!

Our internet was out for 8 days. They couldn't find the problem so scheduled a tech visit - for the following Thursday at 6pm. No one showed up or called. When I tried to find out why the next morning I was told it had been an area outage but it was re-established the previous evening at 6:21pm. I tried it and sure enough we had internet access. OK but an area outage for 8 days... I don't think so. No one in our neighborhood had lost internet. Someone is not telling the truth. I can only wholeheartedly agree with eveyones comments on Windstream's lack of concern for customers in areas where they are the only provider. We certainly would switch if there was another company in our area besides satellite which is too expensive on a fixed income. I don't know that anything can be done but I thought the days of monopolies were over. Obviously not!

I want something done about my internet speeds. It didn't matter if I had a 3mbps service or 12mbps service my speeds have never been anywhere close to that in the evening hours when I actually am home to use it. My speeds hover around .80mbps during this time and everybody always tells me everything is working like it should. I've never felt like I get what I pay for and believe me if I had another choice in IPS I would have left years ago. They are a terrible company but I have no choice where I live. It's pay for Windstream's horrible monopolized service or live without access to the Internet. I have filed complaints with the FCC but I fear nothing will ever be done. Even as I write this I have been waiting on a Netflix episode to load for 15 minutes and it's still not playing.

"Very dissatisfied" doesn't even come close to describing my experience. I gave one star only because there is no option to give less. I own an animal clinic and we rely heavily on our internet to receive reports from our outside lab, send referrals and consults, send and receive patient records and send/receive radiographs as well as paying bills among many other uses. Our service went out on Thurs, Dec 22, as it does about every other week. We reported it immediately. No technician came to repair it Thursday or Friday. When I called they told me the repairman had come out Friday. Well, we close at noon on Fridays and they have that in our records from the many previous times they've had to come out for repairs. I waited until after 2:00 and no one had shown up.

When I called back on Monday Dec 26 they told me it would be Wed the 28th before they could get out. I told them that was unacceptable, that the service should have already been fixed and I cannot run my business without internet. After a long time on the phone and asking to speak to a manager (who was unavailable) the person said she spoke to the manager and they would be out on Tues to do repairs. It is now after 6pm on Tues and no one came.

When I called they said the repair ticket was written for Wednesday, not Tuesday and no one was ever scheduled to come out today. That's when I blew my top. So they never intended to come out today, never wrote a ticket for today and only told me that to get me off the phone! I had the name of the agent I had spoken to previously. I asked to speak to her but no one there ever heard of her. I'm so furious at the crappy way they treat their customers and have no conscience about it. I pay over $350/month for my services. Unfortunately it is the only service available in our area and they know it. How do they stay in business?? If I treated my customers like they do I'd never survive.

Our phone lines have been down for over two hours. Called tech but they have a recording saying our phone lines are down. Well thanks I know that much. OK I have a business to run so I need to know how to transfer calls to my mobile phone and please let me know when they will be up again. You can't get this information and they just end the call after the recording. So try chat. OK 6:15 minutes later I still have the "We will be with you shortly" message on my screen. Nope update 8:07 minutes. Windstream was one of the worst decisions we made when it came to phone and internet. As soon as I can get out of the contract I am gone.

I order service on 17 Nov and I am still currently waiting to be connected. I have call about once a week to check the status of my order. I continue to get the same response "the engineer will contact you". Still nothing. I work from home so this is my livelihood we are talking about. Windstream don't seem to care. I'm still waiting to hear from the engineer. I have to have service by 28 Dec or I will lose my job. Thanks Windstream.

When beginning this process I was contacted by the company and they had a much superior product... blah, blah, blah. When they were reading off the extra charges that may be incurred I voiced questions which I was told would be answered when they called to set up installation. The service guy just showed up and I started calling. I was supposed to receive a 30 free trial and a 12 month waiver on the rental fee. 1 week later I received the bill. When I called to explain that I was still on my 30 day trial, I was told they do not offer these trials. Then told they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. When I asked for this option I was told it wasn't available in my area. Then they came to disconnect and cut all of my old service off when everyone was gone, they also left all of their equipment. Wonder if they want to buy it back?

Terrible customer service. 8 day wait for engineer. Probably the worst customer experience I have ever had. I'm 48 years old and have been in America for 3 years. I have never experienced a more incompetent company than Windstream. Nobody knows what they are doing, nobody knows what anybody else is doing, nobody does what they say they are going to do and they seem to break what works with no explanation for why. Terrible, terrible, terrible and worse.

I am trying to become a professional gamer. I lose so many matches just because the internet give me lag spikes throughout some of my matches. I am so sick of it. I just don't know what do. I guess I will just have to throw my dream down the drain because of my internet connection...

I have had Windstream Internet now for five (5) months. My biggest problem with them is that my bill changes drastically each and every month. When I signed up, I was told my bill would run about $85.00 per month. Since that time, I have received bills for over $130.00, $140.00, $110.00, etc. NEVER near what they stated at the beginning, and NEVER the same every month. I have spent countless hours of the phone, being switched from one department to another, getting credited (only for it NOT to show up the next month).

After this frustration, I chose to email them to have written documentation. Last month they emailed that my bill was $84.84, but I had already paid them $85.79. New bill is for over $110.00! It's ludicrous that a company can continue to gouge a customer EVERY month!!! They have no qualms about it either and just keep transferring you to someone else to deal with the problem. BUT, the problem has yet to be resolved. AVOID this company if you can.

My parents have been with Windstream for three years and it's been crap this whole time. It's slow and constantly buffers. You have to restart it five times a day because it stops all together. I'm always booted off at night when we have no restrictions. It makes my streaming lag. They never upgrade, just give you the same stupid box every year and you have to call for them just to do that. Overall, it's a waste of money. Plus side, I talked my parents into switching providers if it doesn't change when I call Windstream tomorrow.

I have been a Windstream customer for many years; I am not sure how many because I have gone from the company being first AlTel (much better!) and before Altel, another company, long disappeared from the scene. As time has passed with Windstream, I have experienced the service overall to be less and less consumer-oriented. I live in a rural area and the attitude of the company seems one of being: "We're your only option so we don't have to pay attention to your needs, nor the quality of what we offer you." I have scanned through the complaints at this site, and I can find nothing I disagree with. I am prompted to write because I just received my bill online and find a $6.50 fee tacked on that is labeled "Internet connection fee"! I already pay a $32.00 a month charge to Windstream for my internet. Of course, I am expected to understand this charge! I haven't a clue.

I have been frustrated now for at least 10 years with their service -- SLOW, their Tech Support minimally trained, their customer service largely filled with people who have bland and/or impolite attitudes. I am searching for an alternative to Windstream. I am a senior, have a fixed income, and my landline is tied up with the internet, so I get a bundle price for the "service" I get. I also have a cell phone, so would give up my land line if I could find an internet company I can afford. It is a shame that people who live in areas just outside larger urbanized centers have to put up with inferior service because of where we find ourselves enjoying our choice of living situations.

I have been a Windstream customer for many years primarily because I live in an area where they have a monopoly on the phone lines and therefore a monopoly on the phone and internet service in the area. My main complaint right now is with their repair service in the event you have a problem with any of their equipment. I upgraded my internet service and was told they were so busy it would take 6 weeks to get someone here to do the work. So the day the work was to be done (which had a window of 8 am to 7 pm) Windstream called and canceled about 10 am and said he would be here the next day. So the work finally was completed but a problem with my caller ID surfaced immediately and Windstream said that would take another 2 weeks for repairman to make it back out.

Today was the day they set up once again with a window of 8 am to 12 pm. Once again at 10 am I get a call saying "Sorry cannot get there till Sat." This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Obviously my time means nothing to them. If there was any other service in this area I would have switched years ago. I cannot wait for that to happen. Please be advised that their appointments mean absolutely nothing, but they always tell me to have a nice day.

I have phone and internet service through Windstream, although I never use the phone. It's supposed to be high speed and it is as long as you're plugged directly into the modem. Wireless is about 1.5 Mps. I tried talking to customer service about the problem and they said they only guarantee the speed when hooked up directly, not the WiFi, even though I pay $10/month for the modem and wireless router. I asked if I could buy a new modem and router and they said I could, but they couldn't provide any help if I had problems with the other device. I told them they're not helping with the device I pay them to provide.

This is not the first problem I've had with the company and I've only had service with them for 2 months. There have been multiple issues with billing and installation. But I won't get into those. The problem is they're the only show in town when it comes to internet since I live out in the country a bit. So they've got a monopoly on the area and therefore don't need to provide good service. You'd think they'd at least try, though.

The service provided is so bad and has been that way for years, we have stopped bothering to complain... It does no good. Can't even stream a movie in low res without countless delays for buffering. Internet is SLOOOOOOW. If you can avoid Windstream in any way do it!!! Crappy company, poor service, uncaring personnel.

Ordered internet service around October 15. Finally received a confirmation number, then a different one, with instructions to schedule installation. Called the number supplied who informed me that neither confirmation number was valid. Waited a month. Received a bill for telephone service, which was not ordered nor installed. On Nov. 26, Called billing number, who stated that internet service was not available, and they would credit my account. But I had to be transferred to another number to terminate service. Waited 48 minutes on hold. Called back, waited 28 minutes on hold. Tried their online contact. After filling out the form, the site came back with an error message. Tried online chat. It came back with an error message. Called billing back and finally got a human who cancelled the account and gave me a confirmation number. Absolutely the worst customer service that I have encountered.

After 5 years stuck in an area where Windstream has an effective monopoly on 'high speed' internet access, I'm finally moving, so It's time to review. Pros: No problems with automated billing, online account management interface is fairly well designed, timely storm outage service recovery. Cons: Cheap DSL modem/router components fail, predictable service outages during any precipitation event, rural hardware maintenance clearly not prioritized, bandwidth ridiculously limited for the price, bandwidth not as advertised, multiple dropped connections per hour on a daily basis (twice while typing this review), poorly trained telephone and on-site support staff.

To put it bluntly, you probably will not get what you think you're paying for with this company. If all you need to do is browse the internet for occasional entertainment, you may be fine, right up until your equipment starts to fail, unless you live in an area in which Windstream has decided to deprioritize their service quality. If you need even a vague sense of certainty that your internet connection will be functional from minute to minute, or day to day, this company is not a good bet.

If you or your household intends to stream video, play networked games, download large files, or engage in any form of time-sensitive activity while online, find another provider. In short, do not reward this company with either your dollars or your loyalty if you have any other option. If no other option is available, never make plans that rely on this service functioning as advertised or expected. Reviewer credentials: Network switching systems maintainer and operator, Windstream service user.

1/8/16 (Tuesday) lost internet. Called and service tech was going to forward problem to another tech... Latest to have it fixed would be Thursday 1/10/16. 11/9/2016 Called again 10:32 am. Going to send out a tech. Was told the 1st ticket # was sent to the wrong department, Second Ticket # was corrected to dispatch a service tech.

Called Customer Care 866-445-5880 for reimbursement of internet charges. Not very good service, told me they would be 10 days out from sending a tech out! I received a 800 call with a recorded message telling me that a tech would be sent out the following morning (Friday) between 8:45 and noon. Waited until 3:30 pm and called the support tech and he told me the soonest would be Nov. 19 and he talked to a supervisor and they moved it up to Nov 16th. How can this company remain in business with customer service such as this? How would a business survive in this day and age with service such as this?

I've been a Windstream customer for at least five years. I have a lifetime contract for unlimited High speed internet that cost $59.99 for 12Mbps download speed, but recently (maybe 5 or 6 months) it seems the speed throttles down at certain times pretty consistently. When I call, they want to send someone to check the inside of my house (cha-ching), because clearly (or so they tell me) the problem is inside my house. If that's true, why does my download speed work great during the day, but dips so low at night and on Sundays. It literally takes at least a minutes for a response, just like a good ol' fashion dial-up connection. My recent speed check result was 1.41 Mbps download speed and I'm not surprised.

This all seems odd to me and I suspect they're throttling down my connection, hoping I'll complain, then beg them to come repair the problem, and smile when they hand me the bill to fix a problem that doesn't exist. I have complained, but either cancel their appointment or told them I'll find another carrier. If I'm right, isn't what they're doing illegal, especially since I paying for high speed Internet and getting low-speed service? I can't shake this gut feeling I'm being scammed and I'm sure I'm not alone, either!

WindStream is the most horrible worthless pathetic joke of a ISP to exist. My max download speed is 300 kb. I was promised I would be getting a minimum of 3 mbs. CS is a joke. None of the people know what they are doing at all. UNPLUG IT AND PLUG IT BACK IN. **. That. They inflated my bill from 60 a month to a 100 a month so I am paying 40 dollars more than I need to in order to have internet that is 17x slower than what I was told I would get. Bottom line, WindStream is a complete joke and is not even remotely good enough even IF it's your only option. Pure ** those that review Windstream and say it's good are employed by them or are not avid users of the web.

3 years I have had them and it has only gotten worse. The CEO can't run a company for ** and is a horrible at his job, along with a majority those he has employed. I was told multiple times a technician would show up to review with me and find a fix. They NEVER showed up whatsoever. And when they did, it was when I needed a new router which is another way of saying, I needed to make a purchase from them and have them install it for me. They won't help you unless they make a profit out of doing it. They are like teenage boys that never come out of their room to do chores unless you pay them. DO NOT GET WINDSTREAM.

We been a customer of Windstream for around eight years, as they were the only Internet provider in our area of Kentucky. Recently we bought a Roku device in order to watch streaming news shows as well as other live streaming shows. Our reception is less than perfect as when watching these live streaming shows on Roku they frequently drop-off and buffer or have to re-load. This is not good and believe they could provide adequate bandwidth for us as they provide in larger Kentucky cities. We are charged the same price but receive less than good service. We checked with a local computer place and they said that Windstream doesn't provide enough "Bandwidth" to provide quality service. We checked the system control on our Roku Device and under "Internet Connection" it is rated "POOR". We feel we should receive the same level of service as the larger cities as we are charged the same.

There is no possible way I could recommend Windstream. They are possibly the WORST company I've dealt with in my entire life, and that is really saying something. I've been with Windstream since 2008, and unfortunately they are the only ISP around. Their HIGHEST speeds are only 25 Mbps DOWN and Mbps UP.

On top of not offering decent speeds, there have been a plethora of problems with our internet dropping for about 6 months now, and after a seemingly endless amount of phone calls it seems as though nothing can be done. The techs that are supposed to come out to customers' houses have closed countless tickets from us "within 1 minute of opening it and deciding to not show up" (words from one of the level 2 technicians). The fact that even speaking to numerous level 2 technicians and supervisors over the course of 6 months can't get us anywhere towards the right direction, is just ridiculous in itself. I have not been able to talk to anyone above a supervisor either!

It is sad to see a public company provide such terrible service AND customer support. Amidst our 100+ phone calls over the course of the past 6 months, we've been hung up on over 25 times. (No exaggeration, over 48+ hours of phone time alone in the past few weeks.) Please, stick with dial-up or even satellite until someone decides to provide a somewhat reliable service. This review should be 0/5 stars. The images attached are us after dealing with Windstream for 8 years.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.
  • Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.
  • Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.
  • Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Best for Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Compare Internet Service Providers