3.7/5 (556 ratings)

About Kinetic Internet by Windstream

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 100 Mbps. The company provides unlimited internet usage with no data caps or overage charges. There are also no long-term contracts, so customers aren’t locked into a commitment and can cancel anytime.

What is Windstream Internet?

Windstream is a high-speed broadband internet service provider that operates in some parts of the United States. It provides DSL internet, which connects through a phone line at a much faster rate than dial-up speeds.

The company’s offerings vary by state. One factor to note is that the internet speeds available to you also depend on your location. Some communities get speeds up to 1 Gbps, while other places may have much slower speeds. Because of this, pricing also varies widely by area. It’s essential to look at what Windstream provides in your city to know whether it’s the right choice for you.

Windstream Internet plans

The Windstream website offers three main internet plans: Kinetic 200, Kinetic 500 and Kinetic GIG. Depending on where you live, Windstream might offer bundle plans with TV and phone services at a discounted rate. Other possibilities that may be available in your area include Kinetic 25, 100 or 400, which are internet-only packages.

• Kinetic 200 offers up to 200 Mbps of high-speed internet. This plan is suitable for entertainment. Customers can download HD movies or shows, stream HD video on multiple devices or play multiplayer online games.
  • Kinetic 500 offers up to 500 Mbps speeds. This plan works best for heavy internet usage, particularly if there are multiple people in the house. It lets you download large media files and stream music and video on several devices at once.
  • Kinetic GIG provides speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is the best internet experience Windstream offers. The company recommends it for households using lots of smart home technology.

Windstream Internet prices

Windstream Internet prices typically range from $35 to $90 per month. The cost of Windstream's internet service varies based on the package you choose and your location. Contact a Windstream customer service agent to get pricing information for your specific location.

There are some other pricing factors to keep in mind. Often with internet service providers, your initial cost is a promotional cost and the price raises after the promotion period ends. It’s important to find out whether the price you’re paying is a regular or promotional offer. Windstream offers a discount for low-income households through the federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Windstream Internet FAQ

Where is Windstream Internet available?
Windstream Internet is available in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas
Is Windstream Internet DSL or cable?
Windstream offers DSL internet service. This type connects through your phone line instead of a cable.
Does Windstream Internet require a phone line?
No, Windstream Internet does not require an active phone service.
Does Windstream have a data cap?
No, there are no data caps with Windstream plans.

Is Windstream Internet good?

Whether Windstream internet is a good choice for you depends on one major factor: your location. There are vast differences in internet speeds based on your state and city. The best way to know whether Windstream internet is right for you is to find out precisely what is available in your location. There are some excellent things about Windstream, particularly the lack of data caps and contracts. So if the speed and the price in your location work for you, Windstream can be a worthy choice.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I lost my credit card and forgot this was my billing card. When the bill came, I called, paid the bill with late charges (for two months) and changed my credit card. My fault, no problem. Two weeks later I get a termination notice. I called to find out what happened and ended up on hold for over an hour. I work from home much and need my internet. This isn't the first time I've been on hold for a LONG time.. Customer service is poor and WIFI will go out occasionally. Keep checking your wifi speed as they will slow your speed down too. Looking to change service at this time.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Jim , I regret that this has been your experience. I am happy to assist with any issues you are experiencing. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I have been using Windstream for the last 5+ years to supply a dedicated internet line to a small hotel in Brooklyn NY that I own and operate. The reliability of the line has been excellent. But when my service term expired Windstream doubled and then tripled my monthly cost with no recourse. Finding ANYONE from customer service or billing has been impossible. And I have been forced to find another vendor and totally cancel the Windstream service. They are now expecting me to pay for an extra 45 days of service after the date of my disconnection request. I have still been unable to reach anyone to discuss the situation. I would encourage anyone looking at Windstream for their business to be very careful and search for other options.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Peter, I regret that this has been your experience. I am happy to put you in contact with the correct group. Please feel free to email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

Have had flawless service for 4 plus years, was away on vacation and wireless cameras quit working, came home to no internet. Called in and was told I called them and told them I was moving and to disconnect. Which they did. Called and they said well you have to get new service. I NEVER CALLED THEM, They clearly never verified any information. Just disconnected my service and now here we sit with no service while we wait for a new installation. No making their mistake right and woman just laughed when I asked how this could happen. Also told me I owed them money to get started. I have been on an automatic payment since I signed up. They charged my account 61.80 on Dec 13th and disconnected it on December 27. How does this happen?? No disconnect notice sent either, Kinetic made a mistake but doesn't have to fix it.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Valerie, I regret that this has been your experience. If you'd like I would be happy to discuss what happened. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

I purchased Kinetic about 9 months ago. I was supposed to receive a $200 visa gift card. I never received it and I have called and called. I finally got a hold of someone about 4 months ago and he told me he filled everything out so I should be getting it. I called again 2 months ago and the agent said, "Yes I seen that you called and everything was filled out, it just takes 6-8 weeks for you to receive the gift card in the mail. Well because I still never received it, I called back and the guy said "I'm sorry Ma'am but the visa gift card is only for new customers. So I had to explain what happened and then he transferred me somewhere else and the next girl hung up on me. So it's really irritating. I mean this is what they promote so why is it so hard to receive it. I'm not sure what to do or who I need to be calling. One time they told me I had called the wrong department.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Britney, I'm happy to assist. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Our tech was awesome! Unfortunately, everything else was almost shockingly bad. If you’re rural - trying to work with Kinetic will be a waste of time and money. When we started our set-up process, Kinetic let us know that they’d have to do extensive construction, run a new line, and build out a new board. This was fine till 4 months passed without them coming out. All the updates we’d get were contraditory, making it seem like each person was making up what they thought might get us off the phone quickest.

Finally, they said they got it built and sent a tech out. Once he got here he couldn’t find anywhere there might have been construction. One of our neighbors was briefly unconnected, so he just plugged our wifi into their slot. Lucky for us and unlucky for our neighbor. But, since we both work from home, we figured we should take what we can get and hope our neighbors have an easier time than us getting their wifi, that they pay for, back online. As you might assume, getting someone on the phone is impossible. We’ve been on hold with them for 3 hours only to have the person working there let us know they had a list of statements and that’s all they could say to us via the phone.

For a year our internet functioned, at best, at .5mpbs upload speed and 20mpbs download speed. We pay the same price as my parents a 1/2 mile down the road. Our wifi connects to the same board as theirs, however since they have a Moultrie zip code rather than a Doerun one their wifi was 3x as fast. After a long wait for another wifi service to come to town, T-Mobile expanded into Doerun. It costs 1/2 as much, and runs literally 90x faster. It feels almost made up how much better T-Mobile is.

Kinetic seems to be operating under the assumption that since they’re the only game in town that they can provide truly terrible service at every level. It has been a shockingly straightforward demonstration of anti-rural bias. I’ve never had someone be so upfront about how, if you live in a rural zone, you deserve worse service and you should be happy that you get service at all. For something that shouldn’t be personal, the way that Kinetic has treated us and our neighbors has been so extreme that I’ll urge folks away from them whenever the opportunity presents.

It took about 2 hours to get our service canceled today, and the rep on the phone mentioned that they were going to try and make rural wifi quicker in May… but we already know what Kinetic means by “construction” and “faster” when you aren’t living in town… so I wouldn’t recommend holding out for that potential. It has truly been one of the worst service experiences of my life. Thank God it’s over! Good luck to you!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Theo, I regret that this has been your experience. We are trying to roll fiber out to our rural areas as quickly as we can. I am glad that you were able to find something that works well for your needs. Again, I apologize that this has been your experience.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I have been a customer for over a year and have had (still having) the same issue! They continuously send technicians but no one knows what they are doing and they won't compensate me for my troubles. I will be terminating my service as soon as I find a viable solution!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

GG, I regret that this has been your experience. I would be happy to get your service issues resolved. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I attempted to establish internet service in my home. Because of repeated failures on their part to communicate reasonably, I abandoned the pursuit. One of my roommates proceeded to attempt to establish service. During the call, their (commission-based) sales representative tried painfully hard to sell further services, which resulted in me getting on the phone and telling him repeatedly that only the internet service was to be installed and nothing else. Because either the technician was unable (unwilling to make effort) to find the residence (he never tried calling), installation was put off twice over a period of 5 days. He *finally* showed up on 09NOV22 and service was installed. Within 2 hours of the installation, the modem/router stopped working. Attempting to log into the modem/router via ethernet cable was pointless.

The WiFi SSID was present, but attempting to connect to it returned "Unable to connect to this network". Running through a power cycle would restore operation but it only lasted a few minutes. Windstream was notified the very next day, but once again, they failed to arrive in a timely manner. They claim they had the wrong address. The technician did not call. They showed little interest in making things right.

Today (13NOV22) my roommate received a bill of $120 from Windstream. She was told over a phone call on 12NOV22 that there would be a $20 credit for the trouble. Billing her for a service that they have repeatedly failed to even establish in the first place is in horrendously poor taste and they have yet to show any genuine concern for their actions. *IF* anyone reading this has options to go with a different provider in their area, I'd highly recommend ANYTHING but Kinetic by Windstream. We aren't so fortunate, as our options are 2 different satellite-based ISPs that are rather expensive for what is delivered.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Gary, I regret that this has been your experience. If you are still having trouble with your internet service I am happy to help. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Horrible Internet. Yes, it's fiber until it ties in with the 50-year-old copper phone lines. Super slow, SUPER undependable. When you need help (which is almost a daily occurrence) set aside a few hours for the hold time and be prepared for agents who are very difficult to understand and unable to help.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Donna, I regret that this has been your experience. I am happy to help resolve any service issues you are experiencing. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Got rid of this awful internet service over a year ago. We've switched to Spectrum, which has been amazing! I called to have the drop line removed from our house as it's been over a year and nobody bothered to finish the job after we discontinued service with them. So today I get a call from one of the same people who had previously been here. Saying just wanted to make sure that there weren't going to be any issues like there was the last time they were here and couldn't fix the ongoing issue we had. Said that everything would be recorded and that he could have had my husband arrested for trying to hit one of the unprofessional people that couldn't solve our issue.

He didn't try to hit anyone. He put his hand on the door of one of the trucks, so they were going to have him arrested for that. So, today the wiring was removed from our house. No issue except that the ladder climber had to get in what he thought was a parting shot. "So the junk is removed from your house now. You have a nice day." What a jerk! They must be very hard up to hire losers like this and keep them in their jobs. Most everyone I know has already cancelled their Kinetic accounts and hopefully, we won't see their trucks or advertisements much longer.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Carol, I regret that this has been your experience. I would be happy to raise your concerns with local management. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Two sales people came to my house to promote Kinetic Fiber optic internet service. They offer high speed internet and lower than what I’m paying right now. Service was installed 10/17 and only worked in half the house, not in TVs or on phones. I currently have Truvista and was not very happy with the low signals and disconnects when I was on Zoom calls. Turns out Kinetic was worse. I called customer service several times, called the rep. They came to the house and a manager from SC called promising a tech would come to take care of the problem. Three days later and nothing. I returned the modem today 10/21 at the Toccoa, GA location and just got a bill for $150.59. Crazy! Didn’t even have service and not even a week not to mention the rep said I would pay $69.99/mo. Cannot be trusted. BEWARE!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Elena, I regret that this has been your experience. If you are interested I would be happy to facilitate a resolution for your service issues as well as your billing concerns. You can email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Company Information