Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 500 Mbps. Windstream’s basic internet services are available nationwide, but it offers premium-speed internet services in 18 states.

Windstream Internet Compare Offers

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Windstream Internet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Living in North Georgia is a blessing, with the exception of the sole internet provider, Windstream. As such we excepted 5 mbps as the "standard" when we arrive several years ago. Now, we have substandard bandwidth of 1 to 2 mbps. Why you ask? We are told it's because everyone is working from home. HA! I can be working off other services 20 minutes away at 50mbps all day long in a higher populated area. I don't know how the children in the area that must rely on a ISP like Windstream to be able to excel in school when the service continues to degrade. The corporate execs should be called before the Senate to explain why rates go up and service declines.

Windstream Internet response

Hello Steve! Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your service. I can check into this and work with the local team to resolve any serivce discrepancies. Please email me your account information at wincanhelp@windstream.com for additional assistance.

Maggie

Original review: July 29, 2020

We were told we would receive 12mbps but were only able to get 4mbps on a good day. We got the run around & multiple excuses. Once the pandemic hit, Windstream showed their true colors even more. Our monthly bill jumped almost $50 DURING a pandemic! Our streaming signal was spotty at best, no one answered the phone & when we asked then demanded to speak to a manager, we were given reasons why we didn't need to speak to one. To make matters worse, our service was shut off and we were charged for a month we NEVER had service! Windstream said we NEVER made payments when our bank account states otherwise! We're still getting roadblocks & attitude from their so called professional customer service reps. Now they're wanting us to pay our "outstanding bill" AND return the modem at our expense! Seriously?! DO NOT GO THROUGH THIS COMPANY!

Windstream Internet response
Hello Genesis. Windstream absolutely values our customer's and I'd like to help make this right. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com or send a private message here with your account info for assistance.

Maggie

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2020

My wife and I have been a customer of Windstream since June 8th 2020. It is July 23rd and we have made no less than 22 calls for no service. Our router goes down constantly and have been told by representatives that service representatives would be available 3-5 days out. We have been told it will be escalated, but don't always get service. And miraculously sometimes hours or the next day the router comes back. I will say the technicians that have shown up, seem to do everything they can to resolve the situation. Customer service is very disappointing. We try not to get upset with those on the line, but unfortunately have lost our cool at times. It seems as though some reps are more capable in troubleshooting than others. We have had no problems for 2 days now, which is the longest we have gone with no calls to this point. Might look back to Xfinity internet if the service does not improve.

Windstream Internet response
    Hi Bob! Hopefully the service has continued to be stable and we were able to get those issues resolved. Please privately message me or email at wincanhelp@windstream.com wiht your account info for additional assistance.

Maggie

Original review: July 22, 2020

Got Windstream back in 2014, was tolerable. I could stream video games to Twitch and YouTube every day with ease. I lost it for a bit, got it back with a new box and it is atrocious. Outages always happen mid day, disconnecting me from my friends and signing me out of my game, and it also disconnects my family from Netflix and Hulu. I'd get Spectrum but they're too lazy to install their wifi. Every year, they get worse. Stay away from this ISP, they've unfortunately lost their touch.

Windstream Internet response
    Hi Gavin, please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I'll check out your connection. I'd like to help get this issue resolved.

Maggie

Original review: July 6, 2020

I had Windstream/Kinetic for just over 2 years with nothing but disappointment. I paid extra for high-speed internet and every 4th or 5th day it would actually be high speed. I also paid extra for business internet and still the service always let me down. My son gets paid from working online doing computer animations and he would have to wait until 1:30 am on average to start his work. I know this because I would stay up and see if there was any truth to what he was saying, and yes, that is when it would work properly with any sorts of consistence. For the last 6 months we had this internet service he would set his alarm for 3:00 am when everyone was in our area was sleeping so he could work. When I called to confront the situation to get a resolution to this problem I was told "it is UP TO 100 megabytes, not guaranteed 100 megabytes."

My husband has an app to check to see how much we were actually getting and it averaged during the day at 2.5 to 3.2 megabytes. I now have fiber-optic internet through my electric company and I have had no problems for the last 3 months. No wonder this company is going bankrupt. I am paying $70 a month less for WAY better service. I still don't have an answer to why they were charging an EXTRA $64 a month for Windstream tv. $121 a month for Windstream internet and $64 for Windstream tv when I have never had tv and never will. They claim it is because they have cable internet, so why is it $121 for internet and then $64 for the cable internet when all I received was crappy connection?

Hi Jennifer.

I'm apologieze that your experience with us was less than satisfactory. I can take a look at your billing to ensure everything was correct. We'd love to work with you in the future if you were to give us another shot. Email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account info for assistance.

Maggie

Original review: June 25, 2020

I called Windstream to get assistance with payment arrangements and it was a disaster. My services were interrupted and was told if I pay a certain amount my services would be restored. I told the rep I would call back in ten minutes because I needed to discuss this with my husband. The rep assured me that everything was notated on my account. I call back and the rep told me that she shouldn't have told me that cause I needed to pay way more than the stated amount. Needless to say, I'm still awaiting a Supervisor to call me back about this matter. I had this same issue before.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Melinda! I'm really sorry that the arrangment made was unable to be honored. I can certainly check into this and ensure our representatives are not making this type of mistake moving forward. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any concerns with your account and I can help you. My name is Maggie and I can be reached at wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thanks! - Maggie

Original review: June 13, 2020

We've had Windstream internet for about 2 years now and it has been atrocious. Our experience was like a nightmare that just wouldn't end. The wifi is extremely inconsistent and we have had several outages. A pattern I've noticed is that outages usually occur on Fridays. We would call customer service and they said a technician would come out the following Wednesday. A one time outage is understandable but several times is unacceptable. I have never had an outage for 6 days before and we are switching to Xfinity as this is being typed. Each outage would last 4-6 days. To Windstream: if you're going to run a business, do it right. Otherwise get out. And no Maggie, I don't really think there is anything you can do at this point. I would advise you find another employer as this place is going under. It doesn't take a fortune teller to know that this company will be gone soon.

Windstream Internet response

Hey Peter! So sorry that you're having issues with your service and that it takes us a while to dispatch in your area. I'd like to help get these issues resolved completely to prevent any further dispatches all together. Here is our email if you'd like to send me your information, wincanhelp@windstream.com. Hope to hear from you soon, Peter.

Original review: June 10, 2020

After having a cable laid across our yard for two weeks, an outside contractor finally shows up to bury the line and they disconnected our service in the process. Windstream customer service said they were so sorry for the inconvenience and they would have it fixed 5 DAYS from now. They told me that the contractor was liable for the damage and it would be up to them to fix and they can't get back for 5 days.

Meanwhile I will be trying to work from home using my wife's cellphone as a hot spot and my phone for communication. Guess what the wife gets to do while I use her phone. Guess what kind of speed I'm getting from our hotspot. Yeah it's barely workable and this is how I will have to conduct business for a week. Also worth mentioning that the contractor was so inept that they did not even know they had disconnected us and did not report the problem to windstream. Customer service is a joke. I'm at the point where I feel like I service them more than they service me. How do you screw up and then make the customer wait for you to fix it. I did not cut my own line. I did not damage my equipment or fail to pay my bill. They messed it up and I suffer. That is not adequate service.

Windstream Internet response

Hello Dan. I'm so sorry that this happened and that you were without service. I can totally understand your frustration about this. Please let me know what I can do to help make this right for you. You can reach me at wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: June 9, 2020

Stay away from this internet provider. They are so inconsistent and bad. I have a YouTube channel and try to stay on a upload schedule but it's hard when the videos take a week to upload just because this internet is so slow. It is so unbelievably slow and I cant stand this internet. If I'm playing a game and my phone is on the internet at the same time it will lag horribly and the ping will never go down from 600-1000. We live in 2020. With all this technology we got now why the hell is this internet so damn bad? I cant even connect to the wifi as I'm writing this cause it's too slow to load the damn page. If you can get Spectrum internet do it. The extra money is worth it because you wont be getting constant headaches cause this ** internet.

Windstream Internet response

Hello Kasey! I'm so sorry that you're not able to do your work with Youtube with our service. I can check to see if any improvements can be made to help with your experience with us. I certainly want to help. Please provide your account information to wincanehelp@windstream.com and I'll see what can be done! Thank you!

Original review: June 6, 2020

This is the worst - Windstream Kinetic - stay AWAY - they are in bankruptcy for reorganization and it is no wonder - all of their tech service is some guy in India with a two page manual who insists on going through it each time to no avail. I pay extra for highspeed internet - it ranges from 0.53 to 12 within a 5 minute period - it's crazy and pretty much useless. I live in the country and did not have any choices - to show you how bad it is - Comcast is finally coming to our area and even as terrible as those people are - we are happy to see them. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING TO DO WITH WINDSTREAM AND OR KINETIC or you will be sorry. Feel free to email with questions **.

Windstream Internet response

Hello Michael. It sounds like you've not had the best experience with us thus far, and I'm really sorry to hear. I'd like work with our local team to see what can be done to help improve your services. Please email me at wincanehlp@windstream.com with your account information for additional assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Windstream Internet author review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team