1.40/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

548 Windstream Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My internet wifi service goes down 4 to 5 times daily, we call constantly and get the runaround, if we had any other service in our area Windstream would be out of business. We get 16 days of service and get charged for thirty. Being charged double of service? Time for the govt regulators to get involved.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We have had Windstream for 10 years, and honestly if there was any other option available to me I would take it. Our internet goes out 4-6 times daily, and when we call "customer service" all they say is, "the problem is in your home, we will send a technician out". When said technician arrives he "doesn't know how to fix the problem". We also called to lower our bill and found out we were being charged for high speed internet WHICH ISN'T EVEN AVAILABLE TO US! Customer service appears to simply shrug this off, as well as their technicians. If I could rate less than one star, I would.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Jennifer. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had to endure these constant issues with your internet service. Please allow me to review your account for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I called customer service to drop my internet plan down to the lower speed because I needed to lower my bill. I talked to 2 different reps, one over the phone & one on the online chat. I had to tell both that I wasn’t interested in adding phone service or TV service to my plan. I was trying to LOWER the bill, not add to it. Also, the person I got over chat was rude & has no business interacting with the public. If I had any other providers in my area & didn't require internet for college, I would not use Windstream at all.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Michelle. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to find a solution to get the best value for your service. If there is anything further we can assist you with please feel free to contact me directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have a relatively minor issue that a tier 2 rep needs to resolve. I called at 1:45, told I would get a call back in half an hour. Called again at 2:15, was put on mute (not hold, mute) for 15 minutes, then told that I should get a call back within half an hour. Called again an hour later, was told I'd get a call back within half an hour. Called again, same issue.

Went on the chat system. He took literally half an hour to verify my information, then told me that all the previous reps had written the information down wrong, so we have to start back from scratch. 20 minutes later, he says that he fixed their error, and they would get back to me "sometime." Let's see who responds first - the tech callback, or Latoya who tries to smooth over bad reviews?

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Legend. It is our goal to meet or exceed your expectations and it appears that we have dropped the ball. I apologize this has been the case. I want to ensure that your issue is addressed and resolved as promptly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

2 things were promised to me and my neighborhood. I have been a long standing client and I was promised a free upgrade last year through notification by snail mail which I never received. (To whomever responds to this check out my written company complaint.) Face it in this day and age a 10 meg connection simply sucks and does not cut it anymore.

In addition to this, "Project Lunar" or something like that was initiated early last and my entire neighborhood was promised better service options which never came into existence. No matter who you call or write no one can or will even say if and when that will happen. Even the simple threat of dumping Windstream altogether sent by email didn't ruffle any feathers. I could go on about why I never even plug the phone in I pay for but I think that was all covered by a person previously posting. I only awarded you the extra star because prior to the subject I am addressing I was a happy customer, now I am not.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Rich. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. It is my goal to explore all options to provide you with the speeds that you were offered. I apologize that this experience has cause you to consider leaving. I have contacted you via private message about this matter. Please review and respond for further assistance.

LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Was told that I could get a free upgrade to my internet speed in my new home. Rep said they needed to send a new modem. Takes two days then the office automatically activates. No modem after 4 days. Called again. New rep said it takes up to a week to get modem and once installed then I needed to call them to activate. Modem arrives. Connect it according to instruction booklet. No internet service. Called tech rep. She said to ignore instruction book and connect her way. Still no service. Service ticket generated. Meantime, I called and asked another rep if I could use my current modem for the upgrade as it was the same model as the one sent. He said no.

Tech came out next day. Used my old modem and had to go to the Windstream box on side of house to upgrade speed. Done in less than 5 minutes. No one at Windstream seems to be on the same page these days. The reps were nice but had no idea what they were talking about. Not sure I want to stay with them. Been a customer since 2004 and it's only getting worse.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Deborah. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand that this experience was frustrating and I apologize. We would hate to lose you as a customer. I have requested additional information via private message to thoroughly review this matter. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have several clients who are more or less held hostage by Windstream and poor internet... They have no other choice. Lots of connection problems. Windstream has all kinds of answers and different answers depending on who you are talking to. Some do not have much experience. They send a tech out and tech might be critical of what tech did previous visit.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Beverly. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you fell you are being held hostage with Windstream service. I would like to address your concerns and hopefully improve your experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I live in a rural area and have only one option for internet outside of satellite. I signed up for Windstream 6 1/2 years ago for the highest speed they had...“3”, much slower than I hoped for. Windstream boasted how my area would have a major upgrade in the next couple years. This was in 2012. Since I began service it has gotten worse and worse. Most days I’m lucky to have a speed of “1”. Over the past three years it has continued to have more outages and slower average speeds. I have called so many times that I have lost count. I have had techs schedule appointments and never show. I have had customer service promise to have someone call me to take care of the issue but no one ever calls me back. The worst issue I had with customer service was being told if I did not like the service I was welcome to cancel it.

My last couple calls to customer service ended with them putting me to tech support. They advised that I have a major issue with my line but I have to have a tech that specializes in copper lines. They would have engineering call me to schedule an appointment. No one ever calls back. I continue to pay month after month. I go with very limited sleep so I can either wake up at 3-4 in the morning or work from 2-5 in the morning. I work from home to help care for my father and grandkids. I am losing money due to the lack of service available. Many days I have to connect to my AT&T hotspot which is not much better as we get terrible cell service as well. I only live 6 miles from Granbury and feel my service should not be this bad. All I want is what I pay for every month. I’m tired of excuses Windstream! Please come out and properly install my internet and provide me the service promised. Thank you.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Kytinna. I am LaToya and I l manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had this internet experience. Please provide me an opportunity to explore all options to improve the service I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Windstream recently cut off my landline phone and internet service because of my inability to pay the bill. In a nutshell, my cost for a landline phone that mostly received calls from telemarketers, including taxes was over $40 a month. Half of that cost was taxes alone. Perhaps the taxes are not the fault of Windstream but a telecommunications company with their size and influence should appeal to the law makers on behalf of their customers. As for the internet service, I mainly access the internet from my cell phone and with the unlimited data cell companies offer nowadays, that is a better deal. I would have given Windstream one star instead of 2, but they did forgive at least 2 months of charges last year because I called to cancel service. Bottom line, Windstream is going to have to try harder to be competitive in pricing to retain their customers.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Sherry. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. It is our goal to provide quality service at a great value. I apologize that has not been the case for you. I would like to review your account for ways to reduce your bill and retain you as customer. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Summary: Technician did not install properly. Did not place service where requested, hardwired ports throughout the house do not function. Wireless only works in one area of the house. I found out Windstream was in my area and I finally had an alternative to Comcast! I called and scheduled installation of 1g services to be completed on 1/8/2017.

The technician arrives and after completing initial work outside, enters the home to finish the installation. He tells me that he cannot have the service enter my home where I would like it (I later found out that was false). He also said there is no need for my modem because he was going to install it without a modem (This is impossible for those reading this without networking knowledge). Eventually he says he will have to install it with the Windstream modem/router, and furthermore cannot set it to function with that and my $400 nighthawk x10 router so that I can blanket my house in connection. He sets it up and says he is out of time and has to run to another call. Only wireless works upstairs and none of my hardwired ports throughout the house function.

I am on the phone from 3 pm until 5 pm trying to get another technician out here to finish the job. Eventually they say they will have someone out on 1/9/2018. I took another day off to wait around for a technician to do the job right and no one ever arrives. I get to spend another hour of my time working my way through the vast network of transfers that Windstream has, that eventually results in them pointing fingers at each other and never resolving my issue. They say someone will come tomorrow, I'm doubtful because they are "not allowed" to get me into contact with an installation supervisor in my area. I just want a skilled installer to come and fix the job they botched up in the first place. Maybe switching from Comcast was the wrong idea, this customer service may be way worse.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, William. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that this was your first impression. I would like to insure that the issues that you experienced with your installation are address and resolved. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I've been a Windstream customer for over 5 years and honestly if I could go with another company I would. Their customer service is absolutely horrible, they don't keep appointment times and any time there is a problem they give you the runaround. I even spoke with Karen, a so called supervisor and she was no help at all, apparently it's acceptable for them to cost you loss in wages when you work from home but not to mention this to them. They do not care about their customers, we're just numbers to them.

The most recent incident, my husband works from home, we depend on our internet for income. Called Windstream on Friday (1-4-19) and was told someone would be here on Monday for repairs, even got the animated call they make to remind you of your appointment, which I don't know why they bothered since nobody showed, called again on Monday to be told someone would be out today (1-8-19) to correct the problem, it's nearly 4 pm and nobody has shown, so thanks Windstream for taking $360 out of our pockets and offering a $20 credit to my next bill. In short I really wish another provider covered my area and we'll never recommend your services to anyone.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, J. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you had service issues and the inconvenience that it caused. I would like to help ensure that this issue is addressed.and resolved. I have requested additional information via private message but haven't heard back from you as of yet. Please let me know if we can assist you further by responding via private message.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We received a call from Windstream saying they were offering free upgrades in speed. So sure we took it. Well a week or so later our bill went up in price. We called and complained about and they lowered the price back down. Well a few months have gone by and the bill has gone up again. So upset with this company. I will be calling BBB, my state representative and a lawyer if they don't fix the price.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Dustin. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand how frustrating this billing issue is. We would like the opportunity to address and resolve this issue. However, we have not heard from you with the information required to properly resolve this. Please provide that information via private message at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Our current issue began two weeks ago when we called Windstream regarding slow internet service and to have the router moved to our new office in our new addition to the house. A Windstream tech came to our house to assess the issue of slow internet with repairs to the box. While here, he brought up and suggested that we get “cable annex” lines ran to our house, since our neighbor across the street already had the service. He discussed the need for those lines to be run under the street and under our driveway. Repairs made to the box completed, and our internet restored, the tech left. Apparently, that triggered Windstream to cancel our current service in order to initiate the new service, which isn’t available yet until they run the necessary lines.

This morning at 1 AM (Saturday morning), our internet service was remotely disconnected. As realtors and business owners, Internet is crucial. We have spent the entire day on the phone with Windstream, being transferred from one department to another, only to have each person demand payment, despite our account being current. In an attempt to have our service reconnected, we re-paid our last bill cycle. That payment failed to impress the never ending list of Windstream representatives that we were eventually directed to, since each person we spoke with demanded payment. No records were created to assist in dealing with the next person we were directed to.

Finally, after 4 hours on the phone, we were told that we have to wait until Monday to have our service reconnected. Apparently, bribing Windstream customer service with demanded and unwarranted payments in hopes of reversing their mistake is ill advised. We will wait and see what Monday brings. Like our neighbors, we are waiting for Comcast and Charter to make their way here. Pathetic service!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Ron. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you had this experience. I understand how important internet service is. I would like to assist with making this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

If this wasn't the only service in my area I wouldn't have it. When I order it man tells me $50 a month - It's $97. Then I bundled it with Dish and he said he made my appointment. I took off work and waited but the salesperson actually never made the Dish appointment. Our internet is slow and stops working all the time. My husband calls to get service and they say it will be 2 weeks. I call and say, "The internet is slow and my neighbor just got a free upgrade. Can I?" They say it won't be free for me because I'm an existing customer.

After I decide maybe almost $100 a month is too much to pay for internet that only works 50% of the time they say I can have the upgrade for free. Still having issues months later and finally internet stops working altogether. Call and the woman on the phone is super nice. Tells me she can't fix it over the phone so unfortunately I'll have to wait for a technician to come out after the weekend. Then she offers me the free upgrade they supposedly already gave me 3 months ago. I am over this company. Maybe internet isn't that important. This place is a ripoff.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Kristina. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you first impression of the service has not met your expectations. I hope that you will provide me the opportunity to assist you with the issues that you have experience. I have requested additional information for assistance but have not heard back from you as yet. Please respond via private message at your convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Dear Fellow Windstream Customers, LaToya, and Amanda: I have taken a few minutes to read some of the reviews and was amazed to see the similarities in problems which we have been experiencing for the past year with so many customers across the country. We have been mistreated, overcharged for intermittent service and denied necessary upgrades to an antiquated equipment. Recently, I stopped dial tone for a # which we had for 60 yrs. It has been so frustrating because Windstream says they set up a new account that has worked very briefly since its installation. Most of the time was spent reentering codes and trying to get the internet work done if and when the service kicks in. They also cancel work orders without completing the work. It is time consuming to reopen a new ticket The final straw was when a Representative told me she saw service every day. She indicated that I should do my work on their schedule not my own!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Jane. I regret that you have had continued issues with service. I also apologize for the customer service experience. Please provide me the opportunity to find a resolution for the internet service issue. We would hate to lose you as a customer. We can make the most progress when provided a chance to review the issues. I have requested additional information but haven't received a response as of yet. Please review and respond for further assistance.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Have had Windstream for 5 years now. We have no other choice because of our location. I can drive a mile in either direction of my house and Windstream internet speeds are acceptable. We often get speeds less than .25 Mbps, and very rarely get 3 Mbps. Windstream tech came over and explained to us Windstream could fix our connection by upgrading one of the substations, but they really could care less what our speed is. I have called and complained and any customer service person I talk to is usually rude and says they can't do anything about it. They tell me as long as I get 3 Mbps sometimes that is all their required to give. So between midnight and 5:00 am I can get my internet to work because everyone is off the internet at that time. Really sad service.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Jeremy. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We certainly care about your Windstream experience. I regret that you have not been pleased with your service and hope that you will give me a chance to review options to improve. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

The first time they rescheduled the appointment, the tech never showed up. They gave me another appointment two weeks later, we got no service, but the tech said the job was finished. We canceled after three tries. So now we are trying it again. We are going through the same problems. This is very poor service.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, David. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for any inconvenience this experience has caused you. I would like to help with your appointment. I have requested additional information via private message for resolution of this matter. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I signed up for Windstream and that was the worst decision ever, never received GOOD service or good customer service. Nobody speaks English. I get a different answer from them all the time. I never received a paper bill my internet would cut off before I got a bill... I lived in New York and I had better service. Nobody should get this service. Don’t waste your money. Please don’t you will regret it... Also my bill was originally $55 dollars but magically jumped to $100... Just a fair warning!!!

Windstream Internet response

Thank you for your recent review of Windstream. We regret the frustration you have experienced. If you have any outstanding concerns regarding your Windstream service, we would be glad to help. My name is Amanda. I work at Windstream and assist with Windstream customer concerns via online reviews. Please feel free to respond to our private message with the information requested and we can assist you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

We have to use Windstream or else we would have to hotspot everything or get satellite internet. For a while, internet service was ok. Would have to reset router routinely. Friday, internet went out so I power cycled the router, it didn't fix it. Same thing on Saturday so I called. They reset my connection on their end, my internet worked for 10 minutes then back to "internet may not be available" on my devices. Speed tested less than 1 mbps when I pay for 10. Call them back on Saturday, they open up a ticket. They leave me a message on Sunday, telling me they've fixed it. Get home, try it out, same ** - different day.

Call them Monday morning on the way to work, asking for the ticket to be reopened since they haven't resolved my issue, guy tells me he can't because I'm not home to power cycle the router for the 15th time in 48 hours. So here we are, with no internet and Windstream swearing it works without sending anyone out to confirm it doesn't work. One guy even told me if they sent a tech out and it was working, I would be charged extra.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Justin. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that this process has been so frustrating. I want to ensure that your service is working properly as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please respond at your earliest convenience for resolution.

LaToya

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

This company is a scam. Though we have paid for service since installation 5 months ago, we have never received the 20 mbs promised when we signed up. A technician stood in my house recently and told me they would never be able to provide this service offered because we are “the last house in the line” and were only capable of receiving the “leftover” bandwidth after our neighbors used what they needed. This was obviously never mentioned when we signed up.

It took 5 days of waiting at home All Day Every day to get the service connected in the first place. —Should have been a red flag— At the end of each day I would call to find out why no one had shown up to connect our service, only to find out we had been rescheduled for tomorrow or that someone had “tried to contact you but could not access the house.” These were in fact lies as no one ever contacted us or showed up.

Recently when our service dropped below 2 mbs, and no web pages would load, I called to get service fixed. 4 more scheduled days of waiting at home for someone to show up without success. The technician who finally showed up DID call 15 minutes before he arrived (the only Windstream service tech to ever contact me) but on a day not scheduled and we had to cancel plans to accommodate his unexpected arrival. He was who informed me we could not possibly receive the service we’d been paying for due to being the last house on the block.

Here’s the scam! After he left, when we called to complain about our situation, again, we were told by a telephone agent that someone would contact us in 24 hrs about why we were not getting the service and we would be credited until they fixed it. A month passed and no one called. No one showed up. The service is still incapable of consistent 3mbs+ speeds -just like always.

WHEN I CALLED TO CANCEL, they told me my service did work. They told me it had been working since someone came to fix it a month ago. They even told me that the tech had tried to contact me and could not get into the house on that day. ALL LIES. Now they are telling me that I owe them for this last month while I was waiting on them. And that I can’t cancel without paying them what they say I owe for the last month. They did, however tell me that I was eligible for 100mbs service. Hahahaha! They can’t get me 5mbs at any point in the last 5 months, but I’m supposed to believe they can get me 100?

Do not do business with this company. They lie. They cheat. They do not value customers time or business. They tried to upsell me when I condemned their horrible service and told me they could credit me if I stayed. Only if I stayed... If I cancelled, they would just “send [me] to collections.” Wish I had read the plethora of negative reviews prior to spending my money and time on this terrible service. Hope this saved you the trouble they caused me.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Scott. My name is Amanda with Windstream. I assist in resolving customer concerns via web based reviews. We'd like to help you and resolve any outstanding concerns you have on the service you have with Windstream. We certainly regret the trouble you have experienced. Please see our private message and respond with requested information. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

In order to use Windstream service, we are forced into renting Windstream equipment, that doesn't hold up to light use, and then when it goes out, are forced to endure long periods of time with no internet, waiting for repair. That is an unacceptable situation. We want to know what the specs are for a third party modem and what the process is put it to use.

Have had Windstream service for some years in rural north Florida. The service tech who installed at the location we've been at for past year said you can't buy a modem that is compatible, that you have to rent from Windstream. The past year, the Actiontec T3200 modem has quit working 4 times. Not one of those occasions was there storm or inclement weather. Seems to be shoddy equipment. The last time we were without internet due to a bad modem for 5 days. That is how long it took for a service tech to show up to replace the modem.

We cannot go that long without internet, so we wish to purchase a 3rd party modem to keep on hand to swap in when the Windstream modem goes out. Have called Windstream twice with this request "Please tell me the specifications for a 3rd party modem." Both times, I was told just make sure it is a DSL modem. Knowing that not just any DSL modem will work, I pressed for more details, and was given none. All I am asking for is specs, I didn't ask them to tell me what modem to buy. It should be a straightforward process to use a third party modem. I hope that solutions can be found.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Rural, My name is Amanda with Windstream. I appreciate your recent review and would like to assist you with internet service trouble and see if we can provide the information you are looking for in regard to third party modems. Please see our private message and respond with the requested information. We'll be happy to assist you and regret the frustration you have experienced. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I had heard the horror stories, but have had service over 4 years and had no issues. Well, I guess that is because I haven't needed any tech service or any customer service. I had scheduled an upgrade, and my gut told me not to do it. Well, always listen to your gut. I got a text about an appointment. No one ever asked me a day or time to schedule. Since I was at home that day, no worries. Well, the day prior to my scheduled appointment, they cut off my service. Long story, several calls later, no internet, and the day of the appointment no updates, lies to tech about me not being here, and they are still not here to fix the internet. I hate being held hostage by a company that has a monopoly. Guess I use cell service and cancel...

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Elizabeth. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for being a customer for over 4 years and allowing us to work with you on this issue. The cable internet service was completed on 12/11/2019. I have reviewed your account and there has been no further trouble reported. However, we are available for any issues that you may have. Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any further questions or concerns.

LaToya

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Twice in four months my internet connection has completely dropped out of nowhere. No more connection out of the blue with no way to fix it. Contact Windstream via chat, phone, whatever and they are vague and repetitive and unhelpful (if you can get through to them). I need a service technician to be sent to my location, but I cannot get through to a rep. The chat app keeps crashing. The phone line is perpetually on hold. I live in an area where this awful company is the only choice, and I have no cell phone reception at house. This company is THE WORST.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Navid. Thank you for providing your information and allowing me to work to get you a resolution for your issue. On December 6, 2018 we were able to have a technician out to your location and replace your modem and have had no reported issues since. We are available should you need any further assistance. We appreciate your business.

LaToya

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Call Customer Service for service termination and refund. Connected from 1 person after another with a 45 minute on hold in between. Conversation was short and simple: "...I have to connect you to...." and the 45 minute transfer wait began again. Mindless, brainless and illiterate staff. To say they were the worst would be a build up for this crew. Should be less than 1 star. How are they still allowed to do business?

Windstream Internet response

Hi John. My name is Amanda with Windstream and I assist with customer concerns regarding service with Windstream. Please feel free to respond to the private message I sent you with further detail so we may address this appropriately and also let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you. We regret any frustration you experienced. - Amanda.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I placed an order for, and have a confirmation email for, extended wifi plan. Which is 10-25 Mbps. They installed my wifi and my speed test is picking up 1/2 Mbps! I called customer service and they said I'm only eligible for 3 Mbps, even though I am being charged for, and signed up for 10-25 Mbps! I told them I'm not even receiving 3 Mbps, and I was told they DO NOT GUARANTEE WIRELESS SPEEDS! So why was I given the option to pay for faster speeds? This is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND THAT IS NOT LEGAL!

Windstream Internet response

Hi Mandy, Thank you for your recent review. My name is Amanda and I assist with Windstream customer concerns via online reviews. I regret the frustration you have experienced and would like to assist you. Please respond to the private message I have sent you with the information requested so we may review your services and billing.Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Updated on 11/30/2018: It’s the end of the 4th day and still NO Internet. I called again today. This time the rep told me that I was mistaken, that no one was set up to come to my home. Wow!! Unbelievable! I told her that since they record calls, they should replay them because I know what I was told. Tomorrow is Friday and I have no more expectations. I keep my promises by paying when I say I’m going to pay. I wish Windstream showed the same respect. Never in my life, including cable companies have I experienced this type of behavior towards a customer. All I expected was to have an internet service guy or gal to come over and get it fixed. That’s it. I always see their vans in town so it’s not like I live on Mars. My dad passed away on Thanksgiving, so this is the last thing I needed to be dealing with???

Original Review: Monday I woke up to no internet. I did all the things you are suppose to do to see if it would start working. It didn’t so I called Windstream. They also tried at their end with no results. An order was put in. That was Monday. Tuesday, no internet. The next guy I talked to had a I don’t really give a ** attitude. He said that someone should be here on Wednesday. I said that I have received in email, a phone call. Nothing. He tried to tell me that they don’t have my number but I know they do and gave it again. Today is 6:38 pm, Wednesday. Still no internet. I called at 5:30. The guy said I was going to receive a call at 6 pm. No call, no internet. I rely on the internet as I work from home occasionally, have no cable as we watch all our shows with Hulu, Netflix, etc... This is ridiculous. I’m being treated like I don’t matter. I’m about ready to change to a different service!!!

Windstream Internet response

Hi Starliene. Thank you for your review of Windstream service. I regret the experience you have had and appreciate you providing me the opportunity to help. Since a technician came out on December 4, 2018, there have been no other reported trouble. If there is anything else that we can assist with please let me know.

LaToya

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My neighborhood is new and houses are being built all around us. We unfortunately have the utility boxes in our yard and one day my husband was mowing the grass and mowed over a wire. We called our builder to say there was 30 feet of wire sitting on our lawn and that was the last we heard of it. A month later, we received a bill for $6,700 in damages for a "buried cable". We did no digging, no gardening, just mowing. Who in God's name can charge us $6,700 for not seeing a tiny wire that was not marked? When we called the claims company to discuss we were told that it was cut due to a fence being installed. First, our fence was installed in 2016. Second, our builder installed the fence before we purchased the house. This information is incorrect and makes our case easier to fight. We have pictures of this wire sitting on our lawn (IT'S STILL THERE!) and if we do not get this claim resolved with the claims company we will be seeking legal action.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Jessica. Thank you for your recent review. My name is Amanda with Windstream. I assist with concerns regarding Windstream via online reviews. We would be glad to assist you with addressing this cut line and the bill. Please respond to the message I have sent you with the requested information. We will certainly see what we can do for you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I'm a "long term" customer at 5 years and at this point I can see why most people flee from using Windstream. My speed would be considered subpar in a super rural area at 8 Mbps/756 Kbps (let alone FCC definitions of Broadband being 25/3), my LTE smartphone connection is faster than that with a half bar of signal, and at $80 per month I'm way overpaying (for comparison a 300Mbps connection via a local fiber optic ISP is $65 and 1 Gbps is $90 all taxes included). The worst aspect of Windstream is they claim one speed is available (in my case it was 24 Mbps) but at install they refuse to give you that speed but promise to update their local hardware when they get the parts (5 years later I have given up on it ever happening and am happily switching to my local fiber optic ISP once the install in my area is complete in a few weeks). After numerous outages, issues and slow speeds I'm done with them.

Windstream needs to do some serious soul searching at this point to retain any customers whatsoever. Reaching out to customers who file an online complaint makes no sense, take it from a business customer retention specialist for a separate telecommunications company, there wouldn't be any complaints if a company was willing to actually keep its promises. The biggest complaints I deal with are when my company fails to keep its promises.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Osmau. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that promises for upgrades in speed have not been met for you. Your frustration is understandable. However, I would hope that you will give me a chance to explore all options for upgrades in your service. I have requested account information via private message. Can you please provide that information at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Have to use them since they are the only service available in my gated community. For over 2 years I have had problems. Cable was out over a month so I dropped it. Went to streaming and that doesn't work because the internet speed drops down to 1 MPBS many times a day. Can't get anyone out to fix this issue. Avoid them if possible.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, John. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I want to make sure we address any issues that are causing you problems with your service. I regret that you are unable to use your service as expected. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Let me start by saying that I knew when I bought this home that it was a very rural area with limited providers in East Texas. It is not our primary residence. I contacted Windstream in October after being advised they were the only "hard line" service in the area. I wanted to avoid satellite and radio systems that are also offered in my area. After being advised that they do indeed offer service in our neighborhood, I proceeded to place the order for installation.

Windstream then immediately ran a hard credit check on me. Ok, no big worries, I was a new customer, and then installation was set for October 12th, and was given an installation window of between 8am and 7pm (I thought wow, but this is rural), I made arrangements to miss work so that I could be on premises for their installation. I waited the majority of the day, and at 3pm the tech showed up. He was very polite, and after checking out the lines, advised me that he could not perform the installation because the number of wires entering the neighborhood did not have any available. He then advised that he would send this back to the engineering department for review. I asked how long would this take, and he advised that he did not know.

The following Monday, while away on a week-long business trip, I received an email stating that my new installation date was set for TUESDAY (tomorrow). It also included information that the tech was supposed to use wires that were from a location a customer had disconnected service from. My first thought was why couldn't they determine this on Friday while they were on site. My second thought was why had I not received a phone call for this reschedule with a follow up email (you know I could have missed the email), and the final thought was how am I going to travel back there when I am over 7 hours away on a business trip.

I proceeded to call the 800 number and after talking to like 4 people, was informed that a self installation could not be performed, and that a tech must attend. I was successful in rescheduling the install for November 19th, when I could be back in the area (it is 4 hours from my primary residence). Once again, I was given the window of 8am-7pm for installation. I again missed work. On the 19th, at 4 pm, I received a call from the installer stating that he could not do the installation, again because there was not enough wires. He did not even show up to the residence. I quoted him the emails that they had advised which wires for him to use, but he stated that the engineering department had made a mistake, and they are not available for use.

I proceed to call the 800 number again, and was given the run around by someone in their call center in Jamaica. I asked to be transferred to USA based call center (little known law), and was advised he could not do that, that I would have to call back and "hope" to get routed to the USA call center, so I asked to speak to a manager. He stated that there were no managers on site, and he could "pass the message". I asked for a number to call for a manager, or a USA office, and again he could not provide that information. I then called the installer back, as I had his number from caller ID on my phone, and asked if he could provide me a contact number. He also could not provide any information, but said he would again send a trouble report to the engineering department.

Today is the 21st, I have missed work twice, had a hard credit report pulled, and cannot even give this company my money. It seems that I want to become their customer more than they want me as a customer. As I have yet to hear from them, I am posting this review, and also researching the likes of Deep East Texas Communications (radio based internet access), HughesNet (satellite) and Viasat (satellite). I am also looking into Wilson Cell Phone boosters so that I can tether my phone to get internet access. I will find some company that wants me as a customer and my money.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Darrel. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for WIndstream. I can understand your frustration, as this process should have been easier. Please provide me the opportunity to assist you with becoming a Windstream customer. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs