3.24/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Windstream Internet

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

596 Windstream Internet Consumer Reviews

Resolution response: Sept. 4, 2019

UPDATE: Windstream worked hard to resolve the issue. Turned out that the problem was with my Amazon Fire TV. Changing my review to 5 stars. Thanks Windstream. BTW, service has been very good.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I am a brand new customer of Windstream, internet and Kentucky tv. For the first week everything was great. Today, Sunday, September 1, I have had no service whatsoever this afternoon and evening. Got a message that it is attempting to reconnect. Hope this isn’t a harbinger of things to come.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Zero stars!!!! If you are in need of ANY type of support, technical or otherwise, it won’t happen on a holiday. It’s hard to believe a company of this type doesn’t even offer technical support on a holiday. Totally UNACCEPTABLE. If you have other service options available, do NOT choose WINDSTREAM!!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Missy. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you we unable to get assistance. However, our repair department is open 24/7 for reporting issues. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns for further assistance via private message.

LaToya

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

4 days to get repair service is no longer acceptable. There are either far too many neighbors needing repairs or not enough service people. We have been with them forever and this sudden slow down in response time is affecting my paycheck.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Tim. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand the importance of timely repair of service and I regret that we were unable to meet that expectation. Please allow me to review your account and repair issue to ensure that we can improve this experience going forward. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

On 8/18 I called because my internet speed slowed way down. The customer service rep informed me that someone would call me one 8/20 (2 days later). That call never came. So I called again on 8/20. That customer rep said someone from Windcrap would call me on 8/22. Well guess what? I never got that call. I'm wondering why it takes 2 days before somebody from Windpoop calls me! I called Norton twice and both times they say my internet SPEED IS NOT STABLE, check with my internet provider. So that's what I did and all I get is some ** excuse. (We'll call you in two days from WINDCRAP.) Why 2 days? When and if I have a problem with Norton they fix it when call right then and there while I'm on the phone with them. But yet with WINDPOOP I must wait for a call that never comes. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Tom. Thank you for giving us a chance to review the issues that you have had with Windstream service. I am glad that Norton was able to assist and resolve the issue. Please provide any further questions or concerns via private message.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Been with Windstream for 30+ yrs (which I now regret). Tried to upgrade from my 25Mbps DSL Internet. Was told I can upgrade to high speed for $45.99 and pay $5 extra to receive 100Mbps service (range from 73 to 125Mbps). Tech came out and said he can only provision to 50Mbps. Check line speed from PC (hardwired into Windstream own modem/router) after the install, max. speed is 38Mbps. Mostly 32 to 36. Tech lamented this is the most he can do and asked me to get back with customer service.

Called, CS reduced $5 extra for the "highspeed" 100Mbps service. Told me I will be charged for the 50Mbps. I said I am not even at 50Mbps, or close to it. Advised me to open ticket with tech. support. Go thru a couple rounds with them to no avail. If they cannot provide the said speed, why deceive the customer and market and offer plan as one there is one. Then make the customer go thru loops to find out for themselves? There were also missed dispatch of their tech by their CS. I am totally disappointed with this company. They basically don't want my continual business as far as I see it. Now I understand the reasons why they go into chapter 11.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Benny. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that we were unable to provide your the faster 100Mb speed. However, I totally agree with you if we are unable to provide you with the faster speeds you should not pay for what you are not receiving. Please allow me to review and adjust your billing accordingly. We have reached out to you previously but haven't heard back yet. Please follow-up at your convenience.

LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

We subscribed to Iowa Telecom which changed to Mediacom which changed to Windstream several years back (our line has been up for about 10 years and about 5 or 6 of those years it has been under the name of Windstream). To the point, our internet lags, drops out completely or drops speeds to less that half of what we pay for. $104.00 per month for 10 Mbps service when they offer a triple play bundle of 75-100 Mbps plus unlimited phone plus kinetic TV across the highway for the same price where they have competition. We had to subscribe to a "Bonded DSL/2 lines" to get up to 10 Mbps.

Windstream is the only wired service to this area so they treat us as they will without a fair package. Most of the issues we have resolve after a day or two and it will run as subscribed, but when it goes out or drops, if we schedule a service tech, most times the problem has been corrected before the tech arrives, or the problem will not present while the tech is watching so nothing can be done to fix issues. I have called in to the Windstream office to request a more fair price and was hung up on. So, my advice to anyone reading this, look for any other provider. Windstream will do the least they can for you and charge you the highest price they can.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 27, 2019

Having been a customer of several phone/internet companies across the U.S. over numerous years, I can absolutely state that Windstream is the Worst by far. Always breaking and forever to get fixed. Internet speeds that NEVER come close to promises. They have been trying to find a buyer/investor for a few years and none of the others want to take on the disaster they have created. I would actually love to see them totally bankrupt. At least the FCC could possibly break up the mess and distribute portions to other carriers.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Rod. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Windstream has filed for bankruptcy for reorganization for financial matters. However, we remain committed to our customers and business. I regret that your experience with us hasn't met your expectations and hope that you will give us the chance to address those concerns. We have reached out to you previously with no response. Please follow-up via private message for further assistance.

LaToya

Original review: July 21, 2019

I would not advise anyone to use Windstream Internet. I am in Broken Arrow, OK. It consistently drops service. You know how frustrating it is to be doing important work online and lose service and have to start all over. I have to admit, it is totally my fault to expect good service from Wind-dont-stream. Oh, and the "great" tech service advise. "Sir unplug your modem for 30 seconds." WOW, groundbreaking advice and assistance.

My advice, STAY AWAY from Wind-dont-stream. Especially if you use your service for work. I have had continuous problems and even waited and tried to give them a chance. Today was last straw when I lost too much important work that I spent a lot of time on to call tech to get someone I could hardly understand, to tell me to turn modem if for 30 seconds and ask if all the lights were green. **I TRIED TO NOT EVEN GIVE 1 STAR, BUT REVIEW FORCED ME TO GIVE AT LEAST 1.**

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Eddie. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had consistent drops in service. We would like to be able to assist you with improving your service experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: July 14, 2019

From day one on installation I wasn't getting the speeds I was promised. I'm paying 45 a month for 132 to 200 mbs and I'm speed testing at 94 on an internet cable hardwired and 3 mbs wifi. I called and emailed and texted. Not only that but I have to reset my messed up junk modem three times in a row to get it to reconnect. If they are your ONLY choice then I feel sorry for you. I even told them to send me a new modem and I'd send them back this POS at my own expense. I'm not convinced it's the modem based on what I'm reading on other reviews but I'm willing to give it a shot. However, based on what I'm reading so far their service just **....I called to complain and was put on hold until I hung up. This company needs to die...they aren't worth a **.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Joseph. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you having speed issues that are effecting your use of your service. Please allow me to troubleshoot this issue for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: July 6, 2019

Live in rural Arkansas, one of the few Internets you can get is Windstream, and they really charge you for it. My grandma had paid $90+ for 1.5 mbps for years;(and the service wasn't always reliable) and got an upgrade after she passed and my Uncle was still living there. Tried to get the account transferred into his name and it turned into a big mess because he doesn't use credit. Now he has no internet after paying it for over a year after she passed and a few years before she passed.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Gabrielle. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your family has had this issue when attempting to get reliable internet service. Please allow me to review the account to determine what we can do to resolve this issue. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs