Windstream Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Spoke with a WINDSTREAM rep yesterday about upgrading our service. We have had service with them for 8 years. I was never told nor did I give permission for them to run my credit. This morning I had notification from Equifax that WINDSTREAM had performed to HARD INQUIRIES against my credit. Because they are hard hits that affect your credit rating. I have spoken with 10 people at WINDSTREAM and numerous ones at EQUIFAX. Both say the other has to correct it. Well, be the consumer I AM UNABLE TO HAVE IT REMOVED because Equifax says it is a factual/real time check. They did say I had the option of filing a police report. The last person I spoke with from WINDSTREAM assured me she would get it resolved, that was over 3 hours ago and I have heard nothing. The Rep that I spoke with will not return my call to me... Something is really fishy here!

Signed up for my business. Never received a bill or a call about being past due. Disconnected my phone serviced for 2 days. When I called in to correct billing information, they would not let me without knowing prior bill amounts or account number which I couldn't provide since I never received them. On hold with them for over an hour and still no resolution. Terrible customer service!

This crew has really missed the boat on scheduling and service. No weekend hour or anything after 5. Sooo if you and your spouse work for a living good luck getting service. Furthermore, they are under the illusions that no one else can install their equipment. Hello. Would you like a list of companies who send you a router in a box with a cable and set of instructions that anyone can follow. Here is an idea. Sell your service tech’s time as needed and let the rest of us do what we do. Epic.

Our internet speed runs at .15-.25. It usually locks our computer up because it is so slow. I pay $65 /mo. for a service we can barely use. It's frustrating because they have a monopoly in our area with other providers so we have to suffer with a sub-par company that the government have money to so they could update their fiber optics. But as usual they fleeced the government.

My internet is down 4-5 week. I have to reset the router. They have been out several times. 1 person says it is fixed. The next person says that the signal is weak in to the house. If there was any other service in my area I would drop them like a bad habit. Windstream has the worst service and customer service in of any company that I have ever done business with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

I have ordered promotional price of $20 Month & $10 modem rental with $200 one time credit. Finally they said they will not honor that price since they did not order in to their system on-time (not sure why I need to care about their system). I do received confirmation email from them with above pricing details. I had chat with their customer support and they confirmed the pricing details. Then I agreed to install internet at my home, then technical team visited and installed. When I checked internet speed it was only 2MBPS (out of 50 MBPS), and they generated bill with credit of $100 (instead of $200 on-time) and monthly bill of $110 (instead of $30 (internet +model rental). What I don't understand is if they are not able to honor the price why they are keeping promotions (To make people as April fools?).

Our internet is down constantly with only recently getting 3mbps. It was off with a 10 day wait for service until 16th of March and down again on the 23 with another 8-day wait for someone to fix at hub. They are also charging us $75 for a rate that was guaranteed for life at $29.95 which I have the advertisement and management's email confirming the fixed price offer. They are an awful corrupt monopoly!

After my (multiple) bad experiences and reading the other bad reviews I would advise anyone looking to set up internet to look elsewhere. This company is crooked, money hungry and nothing less of a scam. I would've never messed with them again if it wasn't for the fact that it's our only option in this area. I'm praying Cox expands their service because if I have to make another phone call to Windstream to demand credit for service that has not even worked for a full 24 hours since the tech set it up a month ago, I will lose it! Save your time and patience by using another company. I wish I would've.

First of all, signing on was a sham. I was given a date for set up by DirecTV and lo and behold after allowing time to be home alerting schedules and tons of misdirected unanswered phone calls to their lousy customer service, I was told the appointment was inaccurate. Nothing available for 3 weeks!!! They come I wait from 10 am til 5 pm and the "Tech" shows at 430 pm! He sets up I now realize the easiest way with their "Best " router only to find it even when you are practically sitting in top of it, you have no Internet service especially when young to our second floor.

Now another million calls and no, they can't find my account, wrong name, even spelling, wrong email, no phone number, you name it. Multiple calls to one more ignorant, useless "representative" then the next and each even more obnoxious than me!!! And so nothing is resolved. The absolute worse! My father would say you get what you pay for!! TWC may be pricey but the service worked for the most part. I'll take New York Optimum ANYDAY!!!

Ordered internet from Windstream on January 30, 2017 and the initial order was totally hosed up. Once corrected I was given several dates for installation with March 3 as the last date. On March 2 I called in and asked for a time so I could have someone on site for the installation. I was told I would receive a call around 4:30 with an anticipated time. At 4:45 I called back since I had not heard from anyone and was told "Dispatch" had closed and I would have to call back in the morning at 8:30, but the service rep said the notes stated "an engineer was working on it" but confirmed my order was scheduled for March 3.

Shortly after she hung up I received an email from Windstream stating my order date had been moved to March 10. When I called in again to complain about the change I was told they didn't know they had a problem until the tech went out today to do "prep work." What a chicken shot operation! Apparently they don't have equipment records and have to go on site to determine equipment availability and then only check the day before. I wish I had other options, but there are none in this area.

When I waited for technician to come out he never showed, never called and when I called in no answer. He was to be at my home before lunch and I waited all day. Lost a days pay. No offer of an apology at least! My internet service is slow as molasses. Not to mention the prices are too high. I was informed they were my only option for high speed internet in my area. Not!

Made a appointment with them because my internet is so slow. So I was told I needed a new modem and that a tech need to come out to hook it up but no one needed to be home for this to be done. I got a call from the tech the next day and he said he was at my home but someone does have to be here. So they set it up for him to come back the next day between 9 PM to 5 PM. After taking off work and wasting a whole day's pay at 5 PM Windstream calls and says the tech can't make it and we will have to reschedule for the 21st which is two weeks away. But after telling them we need internet sooner than that they keep saying that is the soonest date available and would not let us speak to someone higher up.

So when we got off the phone nothing was solved. Well the next day without them telling us they send the tech out and he calls us to see if we were home. He was in our driveway. We told him no we are on vacation all weekend and that they told us it was going to be the 21st. So he told us to call Windstream. Well after staying on hold a hour and going back and forth with this lady she says there is nothing to be done. The appointment is still set for the 21. Windstream has the worst customer service out there and they know they have you because they are the only internet service in our area.

I am counting the days (and there are many) until my contract is over. When we signed up our two locations (one company) they "accidentally" opened 4 accounts. It took months to straighten out-and I feel I was overcharged. The rates keep going up and up and we have gotten COX internet because Windstream did not analyze correctly what we needed and sold us a sub-standard bill of goods. To add faster internet they wanted an additional $800+ dollars. Cox gave us what we needed for a little over $200.

When something isn't working you get to call and be transferred around. Sometimes I have been on the phone trying to get to the right dept. for up to 3 hours. Then they try to blame Allworx or AT&T for their inadequacies. AT&T proved that the lines coming into our building were clear and it was Windstream's static. The cost is way too high, almost as high as the frustration level if you sign up for service with Windstream. TRY ANYONE ELSE--they are the worst.

Our Attorney General requested customers of a couple other providers (I believe Verizon and TW) to run internet speed checks and report the results. We ran it just to see what we, as Windstream customers, were receiving. Paying for 3 Mbps and getting less than 1 you would think is unacceptable even for the company, but it is standard. So I call and ask about my results, they try to sell me a plan that guaranteed 1 Mbps but was more than the 3 Mbps I was already paying for. What do I get with my next bill -- AN INCREASE, because my bill hasn't increased in years (guess I was lucky for a little while). Besides the increase what I found out was that our area is in need of an upgrade for the system. So when do you think they told us that the upgrade was coming? NO PLANS. And what options do we have??? None unless we want to go to a satellite. Would I recommend Windstream to anyone -- NO.

I have been in the medical administration business for 30 years. I have never dealt with a worse vendor in my entire career. Support is not responsive and never seem to completely resolve our problems. We have been with Windstream over 3 years and the service and equipment and connection performance has never been what has been promised nor has support been responsive. The only reason I gave them a 1 star is because 0 stars is not available. My frustration is at 1000 stars.

I have been paying for Windstream's premium internet service for nearly a year and have yet to have continuous service. I have called and complained and they sent out service techs who are by far wonderful. They found a broken cable about a 1/2 mile from my house, eventually got it replaced (had to wait on the engineers) and now every time there is an outage or a problem in the hub, I end up having to get another router. I made a complaint to the GA Public Service Commissioner's Office (online) and it was a matter of days that Windstream Corporate Office was calling me, giving me the contact info of the lady who was overseeing the resolution of the issues. I have had one episode since that conversation and believe me, I still have her information. I have received numerous credits for the months that I have been receiving substandard service.

I have been experiencing extremely slow internet speeds on my desktop and my roommate and her son, who connect wirelessly, have had a difficult time staying connected at all for several weeks. I finally did a speed test and my download speed was 2.21mbps and upload was .41mbps. I called Windstream and was told that they were having a "know issue" with my kind of router and that they had no idea if or when it would be fixed. Since I rely on my connection for my college classes, this is completely unacceptable. If this is a known issue, they need to notify their customers and either fix it or replace the existing routers with ones that have no issues, but their answer is to hope that no one will notice or will be too stupid to question it. I am paying for the highest speed connection they offer and can barely connect, but they just keep taking my money and say and do nothing.

As a conscious consumer I set for up installation of new services 2 weeks in advance of the date that I was moving into my new home. This installation date was critical for monitoring medical equipment, communications at the house and to be able to work from home. The experience to date with Windstream has been horrible, very time consuming and extremely stressful. I was given numerous "excuses" why the date for services did not occur. Everyone just seemed to make up some different excuse. We were never contacted to be advised of a change in the installation date (without me initiating a call). I have spent countless hrs. on the phone and been given several dates for installation of the inet that just push out further and further. I have a 0 confidence level that I will have inet installed by the current date promised of Jan. 24th (or any date) as previous commitments have not been kept.

I have traveled and worked all over the country and established phone and inet services with basically every provider imaginable. No installation date or time was ever missed. This leads me to the conclusion that Windstream is the worst provider in the industry. With no reservation I can say that Windstream's commitment to customer service is the worst I've ever come across. Personally as a matter of work ethics, I couldn't work for a company that is as uncaring about the consumer and as dysfunctional as Windstream. In doing research on complaints about Windstream I find that I am not alone.

Today I contacted HughesNet and was on the phone for less than 10 minutes, established an account and have a confirmed installation date and time on Jan. 14th. I also have a confirmation by email of the installation date. Aside from the ease of communication with them, I learned that I will have higher speed at less cost that what Windstream can provide. WAKE UP - THERE ARE VIABLE OPTIONS BESIDES WINDSTREAM. Unless Windstream can get my inet up and running before Jan. 14th (when HughesNet installs their equipment) I will terminate all services with Windstream on Jan. 15th. I will also post my review and comments about Windstream on every comment board I can find on the Inet. In case you haven't ever checked the reviews out there are horrible. I highly encourage Windstream to work to improve their customer service and reputation in the industry.

This has been an issue going for at least three years now. I've opened countless support tickets and spent hours on the phone and waiting for techs at home. I got the 12Mbps package they offer, but I hardly get those speeds. If lucky I will get 3 or 4 Mbps a couple days, but the average I get is below 1 Mbps. Customer service always blames it on the devices I have connected and that those devices consume all the bandwidth and that's why I have slow speeds. I have run countless speed tests (and of course documented) connected via cable and wireless, with phones, tablets, computers, video game consoles, with all the devices connected to the internet, just one connected, you name it, all the combinations I can come up and the results are always consistent, less than 1Mpbs.

Every time I report it, it takes around 30 to 45 minutes for them to pick up the phone and their service reps are rude and most of the time seems they are doing me a favor picking up the phone. Let me say that their field techs are amazing, friendly and helpful as much as they can. One time I asked for a credit on my account for weeks of poor service and one of their reps (I'm sad I didn't record that call) told me if I didn't pay my full bill Windstream would screw up my credit report. So, if you can avoid this provider do it. If you can't, I'm sorry, you will be paying for a poor service like if it were a premium service, bad customer service and an outdated infrastructure.

Had to call numerous times to obtain service because this pricey company is the only company available in my area! Then when they came out they did not bury the line yet they ran it across my yard and into my neighbor's yard! So I had to call again to have them come out to bury the line. Then I never received a bill and could not go online because I did not have the home phone number nor did I ever receive an account number. Getting CS on the line was horrific. I was then notified that I was being charged extremely high late fees BUT I NEVER RECEIVED A BILL!!!! AND NO ONE WOULD ANSWER THE PHONE!!!! After finally contacting CS, they transferred me to the Financial Department for another 25 minute wait!!! This is horrible and I finally said forget it! My kids will just have to go to McDonald's or the library because I refused to be ripped off by such a horrible company with horrible WIFI and customer service!

Our internet was out for 8 days. They couldn't find the problem so scheduled a tech visit - for the following Thursday at 6pm. No one showed up or called. When I tried to find out why the next morning I was told it had been an area outage but it was re-established the previous evening at 6:21pm. I tried it and sure enough we had internet access. OK but an area outage for 8 days... I don't think so. No one in our neighborhood had lost internet. Someone is not telling the truth. I can only wholeheartedly agree with eveyones comments on Windstream's lack of concern for customers in areas where they are the only provider. We certainly would switch if there was another company in our area besides satellite which is too expensive on a fixed income. I don't know that anything can be done but I thought the days of monopolies were over. Obviously not!

I want something done about my internet speeds. It didn't matter if I had a 3mbps service or 12mbps service my speeds have never been anywhere close to that in the evening hours when I actually am home to use it. My speeds hover around .80mbps during this time and everybody always tells me everything is working like it should. I've never felt like I get what I pay for and believe me if I had another choice in IPS I would have left years ago. They are a terrible company but I have no choice where I live. It's pay for Windstream's horrible monopolized service or live without access to the Internet. I have filed complaints with the FCC but I fear nothing will ever be done. Even as I write this I have been waiting on a Netflix episode to load for 15 minutes and it's still not playing.

"Very dissatisfied" doesn't even come close to describing my experience. I gave one star only because there is no option to give less. I own an animal clinic and we rely heavily on our internet to receive reports from our outside lab, send referrals and consults, send and receive patient records and send/receive radiographs as well as paying bills among many other uses. Our service went out on Thurs, Dec 22, as it does about every other week. We reported it immediately. No technician came to repair it Thursday or Friday. When I called they told me the repairman had come out Friday. Well, we close at noon on Fridays and they have that in our records from the many previous times they've had to come out for repairs. I waited until after 2:00 and no one had shown up.

When I called back on Monday Dec 26 they told me it would be Wed the 28th before they could get out. I told them that was unacceptable, that the service should have already been fixed and I cannot run my business without internet. After a long time on the phone and asking to speak to a manager (who was unavailable) the person said she spoke to the manager and they would be out on Tues to do repairs. It is now after 6pm on Tues and no one came.

When I called they said the repair ticket was written for Wednesday, not Tuesday and no one was ever scheduled to come out today. That's when I blew my top. So they never intended to come out today, never wrote a ticket for today and only told me that to get me off the phone! I had the name of the agent I had spoken to previously. I asked to speak to her but no one there ever heard of her. I'm so furious at the crappy way they treat their customers and have no conscience about it. I pay over $350/month for my services. Unfortunately it is the only service available in our area and they know it. How do they stay in business?? If I treated my customers like they do I'd never survive.

Our phone lines have been down for over two hours. Called tech but they have a recording saying our phone lines are down. Well thanks I know that much. OK I have a business to run so I need to know how to transfer calls to my mobile phone and please let me know when they will be up again. You can't get this information and they just end the call after the recording. So try chat. OK 6:15 minutes later I still have the "We will be with you shortly" message on my screen. Nope update 8:07 minutes. Windstream was one of the worst decisions we made when it came to phone and internet. As soon as I can get out of the contract I am gone.

I order service on 17 Nov and I am still currently waiting to be connected. I have call about once a week to check the status of my order. I continue to get the same response "the engineer will contact you". Still nothing. I work from home so this is my livelihood we are talking about. Windstream don't seem to care. I'm still waiting to hear from the engineer. I have to have service by 28 Dec or I will lose my job. Thanks Windstream.

When beginning this process I was contacted by the company and they had a much superior product... blah, blah, blah. When they were reading off the extra charges that may be incurred I voiced questions which I was told would be answered when they called to set up installation. The service guy just showed up and I started calling. I was supposed to receive a 30 free trial and a 12 month waiver on the rental fee. 1 week later I received the bill. When I called to explain that I was still on my 30 day trial, I was told they do not offer these trials. Then told they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. When I asked for this option I was told it wasn't available in my area. Then they came to disconnect and cut all of my old service off when everyone was gone, they also left all of their equipment. Wonder if they want to buy it back?

Terrible customer service. 8 day wait for engineer. Probably the worst customer experience I have ever had. I'm 48 years old and have been in America for 3 years. I have never experienced a more incompetent company than Windstream. Nobody knows what they are doing, nobody knows what anybody else is doing, nobody does what they say they are going to do and they seem to break what works with no explanation for why. Terrible, terrible, terrible and worse.

I am trying to become a professional gamer. I lose so many matches just because the internet give me lag spikes throughout some of my matches. I am so sick of it. I just don't know what do. I guess I will just have to throw my dream down the drain because of my internet connection...

I have had Windstream Internet now for five (5) months. My biggest problem with them is that my bill changes drastically each and every month. When I signed up, I was told my bill would run about $85.00 per month. Since that time, I have received bills for over $130.00, $140.00, $110.00, etc. NEVER near what they stated at the beginning, and NEVER the same every month. I have spent countless hours of the phone, being switched from one department to another, getting credited (only for it NOT to show up the next month).

After this frustration, I chose to email them to have written documentation. Last month they emailed that my bill was $84.84, but I had already paid them $85.79. New bill is for over $110.00! It's ludicrous that a company can continue to gouge a customer EVERY month!!! They have no qualms about it either and just keep transferring you to someone else to deal with the problem. BUT, the problem has yet to be resolved. AVOID this company if you can.

My parents have been with Windstream for three years and it's been crap this whole time. It's slow and constantly buffers. You have to restart it five times a day because it stops all together. I'm always booted off at night when we have no restrictions. It makes my streaming lag. They never upgrade, just give you the same stupid box every year and you have to call for them just to do that. Overall, it's a waste of money. Plus side, I talked my parents into switching providers if it doesn't change when I call Windstream tomorrow.

Compare Internet Service Providers