3.8/5 (245 ratings)

About Kinetic Internet by Windstream

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 100 Mbps. The company provides unlimited internet usage with no data caps or overage charges. There are also no long-term contracts, so customers aren’t locked into a commitment and can cancel anytime.

What is Windstream Internet?

Windstream is a high-speed broadband internet service provider that operates in some parts of the United States. It provides DSL internet, which connects through a phone line at a much faster rate than dial-up speeds.

The company’s offerings vary by state. One factor to note is that the internet speeds available to you also depend on your location. Some communities get speeds up to 1 Gbps, while other places may have much slower speeds. Because of this, pricing also varies widely by area. It’s essential to look at what Windstream provides in your city to know whether it’s the right choice for you.

Windstream Internet plans

The Windstream website offers three main internet plans: Kinetic 200, Kinetic 500 and Kinetic GIG. Depending on where you live, Windstream might offer bundle plans with TV and phone services at a discounted rate. Other possibilities that may be available in your area include Kinetic 25, 100 or 400, which are internet-only packages.

• Kinetic 200 offers up to 200 Mbps of high-speed internet. This plan is suitable for entertainment. Customers can download HD movies or shows, stream HD video on multiple devices or play multiplayer online games.
  • Kinetic 500 offers up to 500 Mbps speeds. This plan works best for heavy internet usage, particularly if there are multiple people in the house. It lets you download large media files and stream music and video on several devices at once.
  • Kinetic GIG provides speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is the best internet experience Windstream offers. The company recommends it for households using lots of smart home technology.

Windstream Internet prices

Windstream Internet prices typically range from $35 to $90 per month. The cost of Windstream's internet service varies based on the package you choose and your location. Contact a Windstream customer service agent to get pricing information for your specific location.

There are some other pricing factors to keep in mind. Often with internet service providers, your initial cost is a promotional cost and the price raises after the promotion period ends. It’s important to find out whether the price you’re paying is a regular or promotional offer. Windstream offers a discount for low-income households through the federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Windstream Internet FAQ

Where is Windstream Internet available?
Windstream Internet is available in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas
Is Windstream Internet DSL or cable?
Windstream offers DSL internet service. This type connects through your phone line instead of a cable.
Does Windstream Internet require a phone line?
No, Windstream Internet does not require an active phone service.
Does Windstream have a data cap?
No, there are no data caps with Windstream plans.

Is Windstream Internet good?

Whether Windstream internet is a good choice for you depends on one major factor: your location. There are vast differences in internet speeds based on your state and city. The best way to know whether Windstream internet is right for you is to find out precisely what is available in your location. There are some excellent things about Windstream, particularly the lack of data caps and contracts. So if the speed and the price in your location work for you, Windstream can be a worthy choice.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 12, 2022

I am so happy to read these Reviews. I was going to Sign up today, but decided to do a little searching. I will tell you, they go from door to door to see if you want to switch, after today they are no longer allowed on the property. They have become an unwanted nuisance. No one reads anymore. It says no Soliciting… I read service is not good. I read all the responses from Kinetic to the customers. Looks like they should just go out of business. No one likes to be rip off or lied to. Thank you Consumer Affairs. This helped me from catching a headache and stress!!!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Renee, I'm sorry to read of your experience with our outside sales representatives. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with additional information so I can get this sent over to management of the area. We appreciate you taking your time to leave this review so we can work to improve. Thank you.

Original review: April 15, 2022

We signed up for service which was to be installed 4/12/2022. The tech came at 0800 that morning but when he left at 5pm service was never actually functioning. We called the help line while the install tech was still in our home and were told no correction would be available until 4/16 when a tech would be sent. I have called and pleaded for help as I work from home and rely on this service. Through many phone calls and even contact on corporate social media sites it seems evident that this company does not care about the quality of service it provides. We have since been warned by many neighbors about the known extremely poor service of this company and now I’m warning you. Hopefully you’ll read before it Is too late.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Jody, I am sorry to hear of your experience with installation. Hopefully this has since resoled. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com so I can check your order or if you need any additional assistance. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2022

If you are canceling be sure to read the fine print. They will continue to debit your accounts on file. They will send you the run around in order to give you a refund that will be cut drastically in half. Customer service is not helpful.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Marlene, I regret this has been your experience. Once an account is disconnected, your final bill for service or any pending bills that have come out prior to your call will debit if you are enrolled in auto-pay. Any refunds submitted will be reviewed and sent back within one to two billing cycles. Please contact me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you,

Original review: March 25, 2022

Horrible company and service. Moved and they said they did not receive a notice of cutoff even though I called and talked to someone. Sent me a bill for 3 months of service, one was for after the cutoff. Made me do a phone payment with a $6.95 fee to keep this from affecting my credit and said they would remove the one month of service after the cut off date. Then sent me a nasty letter that I was being turned over for collections and WOULD affect my credit for the month they said they wrote off. Their notes did not show my call to cancel service, and their notes did not show the adjustment when I made the first phone payment and was told my account was paid in full. I was forced to pay make another phone payment for a month when I did not have service. There is something very wrong with this company.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Janet, please email me with your former account information and your contact number you used to contact us. This can be tracked to verify the calls made with us and an investigation completed. My email address is wincanhelp@windstream.com and I'd like to help. Thank you,

Original review: March 2, 2022

Was on the phone with them for 90 minutes. Got switched to about 4-5 different people. Turns out they made a mistake on my account and I have to wait a whole week to get WiFi back on. I got snapped at yelled at. And ended up crying because of the stress.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Carina, please email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account number so I can find out what happened and where we went wrong. I'd like to try and help make this right. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I have been trying to get Internet service with this provider for months now. I was supposed to have had my service installed in September 2021. We are now at the end of February 2022 and I still don’t have an answer about the service. They have an office right in front of my neighborhood yet they aren’t able to connect me? I have called customer service several times over the past months trying to get an update, the only answer I ever receive is, "The technician will give you a call." No calls are ever received from a technician and the last time I called I was placed on hold for a ridiculously long time before they hanged up my call. I don’t know why I’m being singled out this way when all I was asking for was internet service, the same as all of my neighbors.

Hi Evelyn,

Please email me with your order number and I can find information regarding what is causing the hold up with installation. Sometimes this is due to pending permits, construction and new cable install but I will know more with your order number. I can be emailed at wincanhelp@windstream.com and can remain in contact that way. Thank you,

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Had Kinetic internet installed at my home a month ago. It started out pretty good but now my internet speed is going out and is very slow. Had a tech come out, says nothing is wrong but yet my internet is going out. About ready to drop them and go back to my original internet service provider.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I was a loyal customer for more than 20 years, first with D&E Jazzed, then with Windstream, then with Kinetic. I finally made the decision to switch providers. I discontinued all service except online email monitoring (intended to do for a month, to monitor people who had not changed to my new email address). The cost was less than $4 per month. Then, I tried to close my account. Nothing worked. Phone calls went unanswered. Online account access did not allow for account closure. Paying the final bill small amount and writing "Please Close Account on the invoice and check" did not work. We are now so tired of trying to get this done, that we simply return each new invoice without a payment and will a "Please Close Account" note written on it. We're now up to $35 and counting. We will NEVER pay another cent to this company.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Donald, I'm sorry that this has gone unresolved but I'd like to help. Please email me directly at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your former account information and I will be in touch about it closure. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I applied for an addition to my internet service for a rental home on my property on November 11, 2021. After multiple calls to Windstream I was given an expected date time of service connection. The technicians showed up and after a few minutes at the residence. They got back in their work van and left. I thought they were checking out the nearby substation but after 4 hrs they never returned. I made a call back to Windstream to ascertain the problem. The assistant on the phone put me on hold for 20 minutes then a recorded message came on the line saying the office was "Now Closed" and a dial tone followed. Ugh! Really?

After several other calls and being bounced around from person to person I was finally put in touch with engineering department. I was told my order was put on "HOLD" and that the engineer had 10 days to review the order. I patiently waited for much longer than the 10 days. It has now been almost 2 months with no Communication from the engineering department of this Communication Company so I called again today. I was sent the following text from them:

Kinetic: "This is an important update on your order which will require the construction of additional facilities. The costs will be shared by Windstream and you. Your portion of the costs will be 1600.00. You will receive a letter that will need to be signed and returned with your payment. If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-865-4255. Reply HELP for help. Reply STOP to end. Thank You." I feel that this is a terrible injustice that customers are required to share construction costs when trying to acquire internet connection. The residence has had internet connection in the past and now to be told it will cost me an additional 1600.00 feels terribly wrong.

Hello!

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review of your recent experience. The charges associated with the installation are due to needing to install brand new equipment in order to set up your second service. The equipment in place currently is fully utilized by the customers in the area. As previously discussed, we can move forward once the agreement is made for the shared cost of installation.

Thanks,

Maggie

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

We tried Windstream internet and phone and after 1 year had to switch to a new provider. Windstream's internet speed averaged about 9 mbps down to 2 mbps, which made streaming, especially 2 TV's, almost impossible. Phones had crackling noise in background. When we cancelled service, they charged us for an extra month of service at a higher price because we "had 1 day into the next billing cycle and we don't amortize". Skip these guys if you can.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Michael, I am glad that we were able to get this resolved and hope that we can do business together again in the future. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make this right.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Company Information