Windstream Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

What else can I say besides the one star I gave them. It's really bad when you have no other options and they know that. They don't care about customer service because where else is the customer going to go when there is no other provider.

We recently moved to a rural area and chose WS as our internet provider. BIG mistake! I placed the original order online a month ago tomorrow. The first available date for install was 8/23. I chose self install because I knew we wouldn't be able to be present. I get an email the night before stating I need to be home ALL day on the 23rd for installation. That night was my first hour on the phone with these people. Cancelled the professional appt and ordered the modem to be sent out to me. A week goes by and no modem. I called again and magically there was no order placed for a modem. Placed it yet again, waited until the following Monday, no modem. Same song and dance again so it was ordered one more time. I waited another week and NO MODEM! I did however receive a bill for a month of service and yes a professional install! When I called about not getting the modem yet again, I decided to cancel and remove the stress from my life.

They cancelled the service that I never got and zeroed the bill. As luck would have it I chose another provider for tv and internet, so I thought! The internet turned out to still be Windstream. We are here again at the beginning of the story a week later and no internet. They told us to be home today and husband stayed home. They swear we never had an appointment for today and that it was for tomorrow. Totally untrue! They insist that someone has to be there tomorrow for install. We all work in our home and it is so difficult to take off for a whole day not knowing if or when these clowns will show. I have spoken to I can't even count how many people and get nowhere new. Same old story. Same lame answers. Unfortunately they are my only option or I would NEVER choose them for service! That is assuming I ever actually get service! If you have a choice, RUN!

Hello. I used to work for IBM and held a Cisco CCNA certification so this stuff is my profession. They need to look up what the FCC classifies as broadband. You pay for broadband which is classified as being at least 25 mb/s download. So you pay for broadband service from this company and get 15 to 20 mb/s download. They ran fiber optic right across the street from my home but refuse to connect it to the homes. To get speeds that comparable to are low end services in the city they want you to pay exorbitant prices. They have a monopoly over these rural areas and treat them horribly. Might be time for a class action lawsuit.

I cannot get high speed internet where I live, even though the "box" (I don't know the proper name of this device) is about 100 yards from our house. A retired employee is actually the one that gave me this information, and I was shocked since our internet speed is AWFUL! The employee also told me that a random selection process is used to decide who receives high speed and who basically lives in daily frustration. Choosing random areas doesn't sound ethical or legal, and I need some answers. Windstream is the only internet service we can access (because of towers) so that company has no competition and is taking advantage of its customers. I would love for Windstream to step up and do what's right and stop trying to get rich off rural customers. Otherwise, I'd love to see another internet company run Windstream off the face of the earth.

My husband and I are both teachers and have literally had to drive to our perspective schools at 11 p.m. to submit our grades because the internet is so slow. I'm writing letters to Missouri lawmakers in hopes of establishing some kind of Broadband Accessibility Act, like Tennessee recently established. If Windstream would be a reputable business, it would want its customers to be happy. I'd love to brag about how wonderful my service is and say how I love Windstream, but that would be a horrible joke. I don't know one person that says good things about Windstream, but we are stuck, and I'm tired of it. I plan to be a "thorn in its side" and to be relentless and also very vocal until this problem is fixed.

I think it's been a little over a year since we've upgraded to our internet from 3 Mbps to 16 Mbps. For the first month, everything has been fine, we were getting what we paid for, now, half of the time our connection is around 30-78 Kbps and on good days 5 Mbps. My anger and hatred for Windstream are beyond imaginable now. Dealing with their ** and horrible customer service. Can't get another service provider because they are the only provider in town that can provide us. How is it that my neighbor, literally right across the street, can get fiber optic from a different provider but we can't because we are not in their area?!?

I digress. Basically, we are paying more for speeds that are far more horrendous than we previously had. One star is the lowest you can give on the rating system. They don't even deserve one star. They don't even deserve zero! Wish some other service provider would come compete with them, I'll happily switch over to them if they can provide the speed we are paying for. If anybody thinking about getting Windstream, don't!!! They are basically robbing us and there's nothing we can do about it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

We live in an area where Windstream is the only DSL provider. We never had any issues with Windstream when we lived in "town". When we decided we were going to move is when we started having problems. We found the perfect house, so I called Windstream to make sure they could get service there. I got the run around several times, when I knew the people who lived across the road had Windstream, and there is a substation 5 miles down the road. I finally get someone that tells me, "Yes, we can get you service" and they schedule me for 8/7. We were due to move on 8/5, so that worked out perfect. This was the middle of July.

On 8/7 I call Windstream because I usually get a call the day before from the technician to let me know when he is going to be out. I never got one. The rep I spoke with told me I didn't have an appointment that day. Couldn't tell me why. Just that she couldn't do anything and I would have to wait until the 22nd for my install. I asked to speak with her supervisor who told me that my appointment was actually canceled without telling me. She escalated it and booked me for the 22nd and if something came open sooner they would call me.

I called back a couple times those two weeks to make sure I still had my appointment. I even called on 8/21, and yes my appointment was still scheduled, I should receive a call that evening from my technician letting me know what time. No call from the technician. So on 8/22, I called again. I didn't have an appointment. Apparently the last 4 people I had spoken with lied to me. The next available appointment is 8/30. This nice representative told me after speaking with her supervisor, that I would receive a credit for my whole first bill.

On 8/23... I get an automated call from Windstream, my appointment has been rescheduled for DECEMBER 17th. I called the representative I spoke with on 8/22. Her supervisor is looking into it and is suppose to call me back by close of business today. It's now 4:15 CST... I'm not holding my breath. As far as my first bill, when I originally called Windstream, I told them I just wanted to transfer service to my new address. Apparently they set up a whole new account in which I have to pay activation and install fees. My bill should have been around $60, my first bill was showing almost $180. I'm looking into satellite internet. I refuse to work with this company anymore, and I refuse to pay $60 for 3 mbps when I was paying $100 for 50 mbps at my previous address.

I would easily be able to be verbose as the anger at Windstream is beyond measure. The Customer Service department is so sweet as sickening as compared to being able, to tell the truth. Tech Support started with the lie of replacing an inoperable modem. We spoke on 8/4/2017 and told 3-5 days. So, at a minimum, they expect you to be without service for five days. They will not send a technician to get you up and online.

On day 5 we called and learned the tech support person never placed the order. So, on 8/10/2017 another very sweet person says, "We will overnight' and we will expect delivery on 8/14/2017. The overnight promised was actually shipped ground regular service. It will be delivered to our post office (not our home) by 8/15/2017 and they can make available by Wednesday 8/16/2017. (FedEx commonly uses post offices in some rural communities.) On purpose, Windstream lied twice.

The worst Customer Service I have encountered in years. The most "run-around" the most "switch you around" and nobody really cares if you have a problem or not. It took me 3 days to correct and get info on a internet upgrade I ordered. I was told that a manager/supervisor would call me back... it NEVER happened. In 3 days I was ON HOLD for a total of 40 minutes. Once after being on hold for 15 minutes the person in Customer service told me he would have to give me someone in Customer Service (????) and then I waited another 10 minutes. Their Customer Service needs to be called "Customer Hassle" and "we hope you hang up waiting ON HOLD so we do not have to talk to you." Do NOT sign up with Windstream unless it is your only choice... you will regret it.

My internet went down due to a storm hitting my internet box, I called for a replacement seeing I have insurance on my equipment. When it arrived I tried to hook it up but no luck, called the company was told "Should be up next day if not call back," had to call. Was then told they will pass off to next department and if they needed to come out someone would call me. Came home from work to find they came to house. Never was notified. Then again they returned to house 2nd time after they was told that day was not good that no one would be home for we all work. That took another call to this company. Was told again they would set a date to come out someone would call me to confirm. Was given appointment date of the 27th, so I ended up taking the day off.

Called at 8 am on the 27th to confirm they still was coming and what time frame. To be told by their employee that maybe I forgot they said the 28th, got upset hung up. Recalled to be told yes they be here between 1 pm and 5 pm. Come 5 pm no show so another phone call to be told they be here the 28. And again more bs. I called again on the 28 and finally got someone to my house to find Windstream sent wrong internet box.

So this whole time of fussing, calling lost wages and write up actions from work cause of not being able to do my job in its full description it turns out to be Windstream's fault. They say they only wanna credit it me 50.00. Plus every month the bill seems to go up and don't understand. Very displease with this company's service rates. Lack of communication to their customers or understanding how their lack of communication and their not sending the proper equipment can cause stress on their customers. Am looking into other providers. There are some very rude people working for this company and great liars as well. They tell you anything just to get you off the phone.

It would take a half day to type what I have gone through with their customer service department. I am only giving the ONE star to Dario who is in the SALES Dept. who, after one and a half days on the phone actually was concerned enough to check further into our business issue. I am waiting for my phone bill so I can send a letter to BBB to show how long I was on hold trying to rectify the problem. If you have a choice, do not go with this company! My experience is one I will never forget!

I've only been with them three days, but I already hate them. Everything is fine, except for trouble with the sports tier. I got it so that I could get baseball games on FS North, FS South, and FS Ohio. But all of the baseball games on those channels are blacked out. I've talked to their service department and they say I should be getting them and she could not figure out why I'm not. I have been using it for three days. My account is not suspended, pending, or rejected.

It's just fine and I'm using it now. Trying to get this taken care of is a nightmare. Because of this screw-up on their part it's very hard to get through to them on the phone, as my home phone number is not in their system. So in two days I've spent around two hours on the phone and I still can't get the games they admit I should be getting. I finally got fed up with it and because of this screw-up it's impossible to cancel the sports tier. All they do is put me on hold and when I do get to someone they can't do anything and so they put me on hold again until some other clueless person gets around to answering it. This is not a good way to do business.

We decided we wanted to try Dish Network for our "cable" and needed an internet provider. Dish and Windstream bundle their services so we thought we'd give them a try. Dish is awful and I already reviewed them. Now I have to address Windstream. The service is very slow. I was told when I signed up that we would have more than enough speed to stream movies, which I had no intention of doing, but it does indicate a certain amount of speed. Now that we have them, I can say that it is not fast enough to stream movies. In fact, it's so slow, I can barely use it.

When I called to ask about it, they made the excuse that because our house is far from some center or something that it slows the service down and is only half of what I am paying for. But the bill is still for the full amount. On top of that, the WiFi barely reaches the kitchen which is just above the modem. To add to this issue is the fact that the cable has been lying in my yard for over two months. They told me it would be buried within two weeks. When two weeks went by, they said 6 to 8 weeks. When 8 weeks went by, they said 6 to 8 weeks from the time they entered the work order which they hadn't done. So now, over 10 weeks later, I am still moving the cable every time I mow lawn, paying full price for half speed that barely provides WiFi and generally dissatisfied with Windstream.

Windstream may be the worse company in America. They should be ashamed. Today I ran a speed test. 45 ping, 0.14 download & 0.00 upload speed. That's strong. We have had no other choice in 9 years now. These guys said I would get 6 Mbps I only received 2-3 Mbps for 8 years. Only recently did we get a bump up to 5-6 Mbps. I can hardly work from home with this. They should pay us to use this. I wish and hope that some other company can invest in new infrastructure and give us quality internet service. Boy do I miss AT&T. Close to our home Google is putting in a T1 line. We can't even get 6 Mpbs for $60 a month. UNREAL!!! Run if you hear the name Windstream.

When a consumer pays for a service he should receive that service. When you pay for a service and then it doesn't work you should get a refund. Windstream has a wonderful racket going. You see you NEVER get the speed you pay for! When you discover that you don't get that speed you have to ASK for a lower (read this as cheaper) speed. But here's the rub... they won't refund you for what they over billed you for. Now this is a racket but if you have their service and it quits working you do not get a refund for your lost time and money. AND if you call in (like I have at least every two weeks for the last 17 years) it is at least an hour of CRAP... Check this, check that, try this, etc. Now this would be fine if it was your FIRST ISSUE but they make you troubleshoot EVERY TIME. Even if it was an hour ago that you called last.

So besides wasting your time trying to get on the internet, paying for service you don't get, you also get to waste your time, again and again, with them when they could just put in a trouble ticket. I'll bet I have a thousand hours in reporting my bad service in the past seventeen years and I still have service interruptions on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. It's not my place to educate their employees. It's not my place to revamp their flow charts. It's not my place to show them that their system of dealing with RECURRING issues is defective. Consumer Complaints are viewed as bothersome but have no way of equalizing the field when a company intentionally defrauds their customers...

I find a deal offer on the internet saying that I can have a 50mbps internet and phone service for 44.99 for a year. I call and guy told me that he is not sure that I can have a 50 but he can guarantee me 25 mbps, so I said OK then he said that they will come on that Sunday for installation and I ask him few times is he sure and he said yes, then I ask him what will be my bill and he said 44.99 plus some taxes. So after few days nobody showed up so I call and talk to some lady that she said that tech is going to be at my house on 5 of the July, I ask her again how much is going to be my bill and she said the same thing 44.99 plus taxes.

So guy come and set me up with speed of 6 mbps, which I check in front of him and I said "what in the hell is this?" He said they told him I should get just 6 mbps, so I told him that was not what they promised me, so he went out play something in the box and give me 12mbps, which is not speed that I ask for. So today I got first bill and there is charge of 50.00 for activation fee which nobody ever said anything about. I call the Windstream Internet and they said yeah they should let you know but anyhow you have to pay that. My advice to anybody there that looking for service PLEASE DO NOT TAKE WINDSTREAM.

This company is TERRIBLE. They rescheduled my appointment from 5 days after making the appointment to 10 days. Then they called me the night before to tell me that they would be there between 10-2. I took off work from 10-4. Then at 8:20 the day of the install, I get a call from them saying a technician will be there between 8:15-12:15 THAT DAY. I called immediately (which took time away from the client I was working with at that time), and explain the circumstances. The woman said she put a note on my account that I would not be available until 10. Well, I get home at 10, and there is a note that someone has already been there and to call to reschedule. So, I do.

Next available install date is 11 DAYS after this one. 11 DAYS! I have already lost work, had to pay data overage on my phone bill, and wasted 45 minutes of my life. So I call to set up internet with a new provider and lo and behold, it is Windstream that installs internet for them too. I call (45 minutes I spent on the phone), set it up, everything goes smooth.

Next day, I get an email saying my order cannot be processed because it is a duplicate order. I call, they can't figure out what is going on so they cancel one order. Next available install date... 10 DAYS from the order date. That would make it 26 DAYS after my original order was placed with them before I can get and install. So regretfully because at this point I am so pissed off, I take the later install date to get it over and done with. I ask the woman what time they will be there that day at she says between 8-5. So I ask if there is any way to narrow that down so I don't have to take ANOTHER day off work and she says, "No ma'am there isn't." REALLY?! GET IT TOGETHER WINDSTREAM. I am not even a customer and you guys have really burned me.

I called and got Internet on 6-24-17. I was told the installation date would be on July 5. They called to tell me they would be here anywhere from 10 to 2. I waited until 4 and called them and was told that the installation date was 7-17. So I wait 2 more weeks. Well they called to confirm and told me they would be here anywhere from 9 to 1. So I left work early to be here. It's now 4 pm and still not here. So I call them and they tell me it's going to be another 2 hours. Now mind you I have already missed 2 days of work. So I called HughesNet. They were very polite and efficient. I got a better deal and they will be here in a day. Not a month that it was with Windstream. Every time I called they always said that I was lucky they were even coming. DO NOT GO WITH WINDSTREAM. They are horrible and their customer service really sucks! Not to mention the 2 days of work I missed for installation and they never showed up.

We had Windstream when we lived in the county and it was ok. When we moved to town we got Windstream and it is terrible. We were in town and should have great service, but we have found out it doesn't work that way. All the old original equipment is in town (and they don't anticipate replacing or updating them) while the equipment in the county is new and works much better.

We started off paying 59.00 and that has now passed 80.00 per month. We are paying top dollar for the worse service they can provide. Only thing attached to this internet is one computer and Netflix, and both are constantly lost. I have had techs out here many times and they all have a different fix - but none of them have ever worked. I spend a lot of time offline. I don't need internet to be offline. BUT I am paying for "up to 3MB" but I think I am flying when I can actually get 2.

Windstream keeps sending all this junk mail about how great their service is and how wonderful their speeds are (up to 100MB). They should not be allowed to advertise what they can't produce. They like to make it my fault or my computer's fault when I get lousy service, but it's not me and it's not my computer. I take this computer to other places where they actually have service and it is great. Windstream needs to give it up or get it right. We are stuck with them because of their monopoly in our town. I will never recommend Windstream to anyone.

I live in a rural area and have for most of my life I have been trying to get a decent internet service here at my residence without resorting to dreaded satellite. For 10+ years Windstream has for some reason refuses to expand their service to my address, claiming I'm "too far away" from a central office or sub station. I have access to their phone service but not internet. I can drive 5 minutes in one direction and 10-15 minutes in the other and those people have access to it according to their availability map.

I may be in a rural area but my road and the surrounding roads have quite a few homes and my area would benefit from this kind of service. I just don't understand how they can claim that they provide internet to rural areas but yet my area is "too far away" to get internet but I can easily sign up for their phone services. They could easily expand, maybe use better technology, better lines or build a station close to me to have service reach my specific area. At the moment for personal reasons I can't afford to move right now to get something better. I believe there would be good in them expanding their service here. I've tried to call and even file a complaint to the FCC but yet nothing seems to work to try to get them to expand.

This has to be the worse company that I have ever dealt with. I have been with Windstream for over 15 years maybe 20... I have no choice but to use them. For 8 years they have been telling me my internet would improve. It has gotten worse. I have had 2 bright spots in the past 2 years. Supervisors have called me back after I gave them bad feedback... helped me, or I should say gave me hope, but those times were short lived. They know they have you, they have no competition. One of these days they will. Don't EVER use them if you have a choice. THE WORST. If a supervisor that has any kind of character reads this call me... HELP.

Changed to Directv and Windstream. Windstream supposed to connect June 13 same day as Directv so we wouldn't lose service. They didn't show... We called and they said June 23 then June 19 was the earliest. Husband has a pacemaker and can't do pacemaker check over a cell phone. We have no internet service and trying to close on a house with no email/printer etc... No landline for emergencies. How rude for senior citizens to be treated this way. Someone goofed but won't change the date for us. He has to wait for his pacemaker check. Hoping nothing happens to him in the meantime or a lawsuit will ensue... Very unprofessional of Windstream!!!

I had Windstream across town for years and it was shoddy, at best. I didn't think it was possible to be worse than it was there. When we moved, we were surprised that there are no other options for internet service providers. That. Is. Ridiculous. I'm so beyond dissatisfied with their service that there are no words to explain it. It is impossible to watch even a short two minute video. It is impossible to check email or Facebook or anything else. If I'm on my phone, I have to use the data on my phone plan to use the internet. There is no excuse for the amount we pay for Windstream to have these issues. In our area, I have yet to find one single person that is satisfied.

THE WORST! If I want internet service where I live I'm stuck with Windstream. Probably an accurate name because they **! Signed up for 'only $40' a month. Had to use their modem which raised the price by $10. But with all the hidden fees, my monthly bill is over $80! PLUS. My internet connection constantly 'blips' and drops out. Seriously considering letting my service expire until I move at the beginning of next year.

WindStream does not verify with the account holder whose card is being used to pay bills. Took money out of my account and I did not authorize it nor am I on the account. And don't try to disconnect your service as you have to wait till you are at the end of your billing period. Guess they don't like to issue refunds. Been waiting for an online rep now for 24 minutes. One came on and then immediately left. Guess they think if you continue to hold you may actually end the chat. The worst service and the worst internet service ever and they do and don't let you know if you are about to be disconnected (sometimes yes and sometimes no). They need to be bought out!!!

Since becoming a customer in 2013, I have had consistent issues with internet speeds too slow to accommodate Netflix, YouTube, and my online class modules. Every year Windstream reports that they are improving their infrastructure and should be able to provide higher speeds the following year. At this time they only guarantee up to 3mbps. However, my speeds are dramatically less than 3mbps even when connected with only one device. Why am I paying for broadband speed but receiving dial-up speeds???

Windstream finally started offering cable internet in our area so we signed up. When the technicians showed up to our house, they started running cable lines in a VERY questionable manner. The lines were wrapping around the house, and the main line ran straight through our yard and across the street, IN the road, where cars were running it over all day. When they finished, the techs said "well the modem needs to update and we have to leave now because we have a busy day and we want to finish so that we can get home", and they left, WITHOUT even waiting to see if they set the lines up properly. Shortly after, I left to go to work. I came home later that night, and OF COURSE, the internet wasn't working.

I called customer service and they tested everything and said that the lines were probably set up wrong and they needed to send another tech out to fix it. They said it could take up to three weeks until another tech could come out. I DEMANDED that they sent a tech out the next day due to them screwing up the installation and the supervisor said that they were booked solid and that it wouldn't happen. Mind you, we had NO internet. This company should be banned from serving consumers with service. What a terrible company. They have no sense of dedication to their customers nor do they care about fixing an issue that they cause. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR SERVICES WITH THEM. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

My husband called to pay his previous bill with Windstream and to set up an installation date on 4/12/17. We told the rep we were calling to pay the bill but she stated she had "Good news", we didn't have to pay anything. The appointment was set for today between 8-2. I waited until 11:30 to speak with my husband on his break about an estimated time of arrival. He called to find out that we still had to pay the bill before installation. So they lied and wasted my time on waiting. I'm livid. Why would they do that and refuse to accept the payment when we called to pay the bill off.

I see all these bad comments and now I see why. I called and spoke with a supervisor about the issue he stated that he would investigate this situation but now the ball was in my court to get service and pay the bill. This is not a game to me. The issue isn't us paying the bill it is due to the lies the rep told us and wasted my time sitting waiting on someone that wasn't coming. Why was there an appointment made if the bill wasn't paid. The representative won that game.

This has got to be THE WORST company for customer satisfaction. I'm paying extra for faster internet connection speeds, and receiving a blistering 1MB speed!! Often, it's less than that. Nowhere on their web site does it indicate anything near this speed being offered. You see them promoting MUCH faster speeds, but delivering MUCH less than what is offered. I have made dozens of calls to customer service, and receive a condescending service reply that wants me to be EXCITED that they are giving me THAT MUCH speed. Look elsewhere if you want something that is with-the-times, speed wise. Windstream is stuck in the 80's technology-wise, and they refuse to upgrade, as long as they can keep collecting their fees.

I have been without phone service since April 20, 2017. I have continually called Windstream about the problem and all I get is a scripted response. They have an outage and no idea when it will be fixed. The customer service reps are absolutely unknowledgeable. The entire company should be shut down for their total lack of concern or respect for paying customers. And there are no local reps. In my area that you can call for help. It's all going through a central location. Poor, poor business practices... I don't recommend them to anyone who wants phone service that actually works...

When I first ordered Windstream it took them six weeks to contact me. Then once they contacted me we set up a schedule date to hook up service and they never showed up. Come to find out they lost my order. So I rescheduled. The tech never showed up. So my wife missed a day of work. We then rescheduled for the following week in the morning on a Tuesday. They never showed up again said the tech was at lunch and was behind, never got a phone call so I missed my afternoon doctors appointment which I have to schedule 2 months in advance. Now I have been out of internet for ten days and been on the phone with them every other day and come to find out they have me set up to fix it in July and we are in April. Nothing but a runaround.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.
  • Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.
  • Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.
  • Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Best for Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Compare Internet Service Providers