Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 100 Mbps. The company provides unlimited internet usage with no data caps or overage charges. There are also no long-term contracts, so customers aren’t locked into a commitment and can cancel anytime.

BOTTOM LINE

Windstream internet offers high-speed broadband internet to communities in some states. Service and costs vary greatly depending on location. The company doesn’t require contracts and has no data cap.

PROS

• Discounts for low-income households
  • No data caps or overage charges
  • No contract required

CONS

• Pricing varies by location
  • Not available nationwide

What is Windstream Internet?

Windstream is a high-speed broadband internet service provider that operates in some parts of the United States. It provides DSL internet, which connects through a phone line at a much faster rate than dial-up speeds.

The company’s offerings vary by state. One factor to note is that the internet speeds available to you also depend on your location. Some communities get speeds up to 1 Gbps, while other places may have much slower speeds. Because of this, pricing also varies widely by area. It’s essential to look at what Windstream provides in your city to know whether it’s the right choice for you.

Windstream Internet plans

The Windstream website offers three main internet plans: Kinetic 200, Kinetic 500 and Kinetic GIG. Depending on where you live, Windstream might offer bundle plans with TV and phone services at a discounted rate. Other possibilities that may be available in your area include Kinetic 25, 100 or 400, which are internet-only packages.

• Kinetic 200 offers up to 200 Mbps of high-speed internet. This plan is suitable for entertainment. Customers can download HD movies or shows, stream HD video on multiple devices or play multiplayer online games.
    • Kinetic 500 offers up to 500 Mbps speeds. This plan works best for heavy internet usage, particularly if there are multiple people in the house. It lets you download large media files and stream music and video on several devices at once.
    • Kinetic GIG provides speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is the best internet experience Windstream offers. The company recommends it for households using lots of smart home technology.

Windstream Internet prices

Windstream Internet prices typically range from $35 to $90 per month. The cost of Windstream's internet service varies based on the package you choose and your location. Contact a Windstream customer service agent to get pricing information for your specific location.

There are some other pricing factors to keep in mind. Often with internet service providers, your initial cost is a promotional cost and the price raises after the promotion period ends. It’s important to find out whether the price you’re paying is a regular or promotional offer. Windstream offers a discount for low-income households through the federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Windstream Internet FAQ

Where is Windstream Internet available?
    Windstream Internet is available in the following states:
    • Alabama
    • Ohio
    • Oklahoma
    • Pennsylvania
    • Texas
    Is Windstream Internet DSL or cable?
    Windstream offers DSL internet service. This type connects through your phone line instead of a cable.
    Does Windstream Internet require a phone line?
    No, Windstream Internet does not require an active phone service.
    Does Windstream have a data cap?
    No, there are no data caps with Windstream plans.

Is Windstream Internet good?

Whether Windstream internet is a good choice for you depends on one major factor: your location. There are vast differences in internet speeds based on your state and city. The best way to know whether Windstream internet is right for you is to find out precisely what is available in your location. There are some excellent things about Windstream, particularly the lack of data caps and contracts. So if the speed and the price in your location work for you, Windstream can be a worthy choice.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?

Original review: April 2, 2021

Horrible service down here in Southern NM. They refused to cancel payments for my property months after I had moved out and repeatedly asked them to. Customer service reps are rude and unwilling to help. So basically they attempted to rob me until I brought my bank in to handle this issue (scam IMO). Avoid this sad excuse for a service provider at all costs!

Original review: March 22, 2021

Tried to get my internet installed today, and took off work. The technician comes and says, "We do not provide to your area." I asked him why the gentleman I spoke to on the phone said, "We do service your area." Guy was dumbfounded. Stay away from these clowns. If the installation process is this unorganized, God forbid you have any technical issues.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello! I can confirm availability with the local manager. Please email me with your address at wincanhelp@windstream.com for assistance! Thanks,

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I was having problem with my Windstream internet. Called customer service and the rep said that I had many line breaks and I would have to have a service technician come out scheduled for Saturday, waited ALL day. Finally I called and was told they were out on Thursday. LIE. No one was here on Thursday. No apologies for wasting my day. The phone rep said that she would assist me. She become belittling and rude. I am still suffering from inferior and sporadic internet that I am paying too much for and not receiving the service promised. I wish I had another choice but I don't.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Celia! I hate to hear this has been your experience! Please send me an email at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account info and I will be in touch to help resolve! Thanks,

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Half the time I get a speed of 6, promised 25mps, but ended up with 12mps. They misrepresent their service. Sadly we pay a fortune for the worst service. There are few options where we live, I was told they need to upgrade our area to get 25 mps, the person told me they will not spend the money.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Susan! I'm sorry about the issues you've experienced with your network speed. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I can see what else can be done to resolve this. Thanks, Maggie

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Windstream is not a good internet provider at all! The service is really bad and yet they make you pay for full service anyway. We canceled our service but they won't prorate the bill so we need to pay for a full month even though we only used it 10 days. My advice: Avoid Windstream if at all possible!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Kelly! I'm sorry to hear of your latest experience with Windstream. My name is Maggie and I'd like to help work this out. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your former account assistance. Thank you,

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I am extremely satisfied with my Internet and phone service. I have been with Windstream for almost a year now. I did not think I would ever get reliable service in the area I am located. It is 20 miles off the beaten path in Deep East Texas, besides the service being out during major power outage events, IE Hurricanes, I have not had any issues. I stream Netflix and Amazon without issue, and do not have any problems with speed or latency. My ONLY concern right now is that they will not sign up new customers in my neighborhood. I am an Internet engineer, so I know a thing or two about service.

They keep rejecting to sign up new service in my division, and the reason they are giving is that the area is to far out to service. I am in the back of the neighborhood so I not it is not an equipment limitation, as I said my service is great. The distribution equipment is at the front of the neighborhood. I worry about when they will decide to pull the plug on the entire area. That being said, I signed up as soon as I was aware it was available, so if there or no other providers in your area and they come to town my recommendation would be to sign up early.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

They have been very helpful to me, from start to finish so far. It looks good already... That's all I have to really say for now.. Just giving it a try got a long way to go.. Glad I found them. I have no more to say...

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Windstream has the worst customer service EVER. They will transfer you around to different people who won't solve your problem. Sometimes they will hang up on you. The internet service they provide is terrible! The internet is slow and stops working all the time and they don't try to improve because right now they are the only service available in some areas. I can't wait until Trailwave internet comes to our area so I can stop wasting my money on this sorry company.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Nelson, I'm really sorry that you've had a bad experience with our customer support. I would look to check into your service for any available improvments. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com for assistance. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I made a payment of $90.00 5 days ago. I set up a payment arrangement for September 30th to pay the rest ($73). The woman that was putting in my information "forgot" to update where I paid the $90. So with that being said they turned my service off. I have a receipt number where I paid and they still cut it off. Now I have to wait 1-4 hours before my service is restored. I can't get a real person on the phone, and when I do finally get to talk to someone they keep hanging up with no return phone calls. This is the second time I've had to go through this. Too bad there isn't another internet provider in my area, because I hate dealing with Windstream. They are terrible!!!!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Courtney. First, I apologize that this review is just receiving response. I hope that your experience with us has improved since however, if you still need assistance I can check it out. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com for additional assistance as required. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have had terrible experience with Windstream, but they are the only internet provider in my area. My "service" was taken off vacation hold on May 5, but the speeds were not adjusted back to the normal level until September 7. When I complained about the speed, I was upsold a faster level of service, which has not yet been installed for a variety of reasons. Customer service would not refund the difference between the rates for those months. The supervisor said, "you pay for the service, not the speed." Up/download speeds of less than 1MB at a 25-30MB price.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Company Information