Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.66/5

Windstream Internet Reviews

Original review: March 7, 2020

I’ve been a Windstream subscriber for 14 years mainly because they have the monopoly of service here in New Mexico. In the beginning, I had 3 megs but almost daily the speeds would drop to half a meg or nothing. Restarting the modem or resets wouldn’t help and I repeatedly had to call Windstream tech support which often solve the problem for five minutes. After many visits from Windstream techs, a fellow checked the signal coming into the interface box and discovered static. He went up the road and connected be to a different line. Windstream had already by way of apology, upgraded me to 6 megs which didn’t affect the signal drops. After the tech switched my connection I suddenly had a steady 6 megs. However, it didn’t last long.

For the last couple of years, my internet signal drops 3 or 4 times a day altogether for 10 minutes an at time up to 45 minutes. It seems to happen around the same times for several days and then the “schedule” shifts. Irritating as my T. V. Watching is entirely streaming. I also do much work via computer and I-net. Windstream keeps on giving the same lame excuses which are echoed by many others on sites like this. Windstream has recently filed for bankruptcy and was absorbed by Kinetic. If they don’t get their act together, the new partnership will go down the tubes as well. I don’t like to rant but I’m extremely disappointed, frustrated, and powerless against the Windstream monopoly!

Windstream Internet response

Hi Roger. I apologize that you have had the best experience with us. I'd like to look into this more and see if anything can be done to improve your services and ensure you're receiving the best service and rate. Please private message me or email at wincanhelp@windstream.com your account info so I can assist further. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: March 7, 2020

Our subdivision currently has 12 mb internet. Windstream recently installed a new system in our subdivision to provide up to 200MB. Since that has been completed, I have called numerous times to upgrade my residence but customer service has not received any information about the upgrade. A Technician came out today and successfully got a home in the back of the subdivision running high speed. I called today to ask for the same service. I again was told they don’t have a record of a higher speed being available in our subdivision. There are approximately 40 homes in this community.

Why can’t Windstream send out a technician to get all of our homes upgraded? We now know the service is available and running. This has been going on for months. Promises after promises. All I get is “Sorry, can’t do anything. Just call back.” I live in a rural area and have had to deal with Windstream for over 40 years. 20 years with 3 mb internet. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Windstream Internet response

HI Janis! I"m sorry that the upgrade has not yet completed. I'd can check into this with the local team so we can get it all worked out. Please private message me or email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information for additional assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: March 7, 2020

I have some very good TVs but the streaming service (internet) from Windstream is horrendous! Making the switch next week. I would do it sooner but that is the quickest the other provider can service our home. You’ve been warned!

Windstream Internet response

Mike, I'd like to try and work with the local team to help get this resolved for you to help improve your experience. Please send your account info via private message so I can assist further!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I've been with Windstream for 3 years, in Cleveland, Georgia. Windstream is the only cable company available. All in all not too bad. The LOCAL installers are great. The customer service is lousy...LOUSY. First of all support is "outsourced" to another part of the world (India) I think. I cannot understand the very thick accents. I think most of these people work from home and Windstream probably pays them 20.00 a week.

My problem started over 2 months ago when I had high speed internet installed. Once again the local installer was great. Promised that the cable would be buried in 7 - 10 days. Well 2 1/2 months later guess what, cable still not buried. I called and spoke to someone and she promised again 7-10 days. 2 weeks later still not buried. Called again. Was told 7-10 days. Well now I'm fed up. I pay good money every month to this company and all they can tell me is "I'm sorry for your inconvenience," they really are not sorry, they could not care less. A so called supervisor told me they would give me a credit for my inconvenience. I don't want a credit. I want the damn cable buried. If there was any competition in Cleveland, Windstream would be out of business.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

It took 4 years worth of complaining and having technicians come out and do pretty much nothing, for them to figure out the reason why we were getting such low speeds and so many service interruptions was they had used old wiring that was simply draped across our roof. The first time the technician ordered a line to be dropped and buried it took over a month for them to show up and then they didn't even change any wiring or bury anything. A couple months went by and I had to call again because we were getting so many service drops and awful speeds, so yet again they scheduled for a line drop and bury.

No one ever showed up to fulfill the order. So the last time I called they informed me the old drop request had expired and that I needed to request a new drop order. They finally came out and it took less than an hour to bury the new line, but of course we're still having dropped connections and slow speeds. I assume that we will never have good service but unfortunately we have no other broadband providers to chose from.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Kelly! I'm really sorry it took so long to get that line replaced and buried. I'd be happy to check into your services to ensure you're receiving the best possible options for your address. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com for assistance. Thank you, Maggie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Windstream sucks always problems then you call and customer service is a joke. My son is paralyzed and has no movement under chest level pretty much depends on Internet for his work and his social life. He is always having to use his cell phone hot spot. Of course internet out again today and was told next Tuesday before anyone can come look at. Last Year was nothing but problems. Took 3 months for them to bury the wire that ran across the road and cars drove over it every day. If I had another option I would take it and cancel this service but unfortunately my son needs Internet. At almost 80.00 a month you would think it would work.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Carol. I'm terribly sorry to hear of your situation and would like to see if any improvements can be made to better your experience with us. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com or private message me with your account info so I can see what can be done. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I live in an area where Windstream is 1 of very few service providers and so I have been with Windstream for almost 2 years and every month there has been a problem with them. Either they are charging me for services I don't have or turning off my internet because they say they didn't get my payment yet they took the money out of my account. When you call them it is very hard to understand 95% of them because they don't speak English clearly. Then they give me the run around that I have to talk to someone else cause they can't help with my problem. I was told to send proof of my payment to the email they gave then tell me that when the supervisor checks the email they will call me at their convenience. They are the absolute worst.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Thomas. I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having these ongoing issues with your billing and payments. I'd like to jump in and help get this fully resolved. Please email me your Windstream account info to wincanhelp@windstream.com or via private message here. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

My internet goes out an average of four times per week. Sometime it is a short time and sometimes more than 24 hrs. All I get from crapstream is “we have found an outage in your area”. Then Windstream needs to pay their bills to keep it up and running. Worst service I ever had.

Windstream Internet response

W. I'm really sorry you've been having an inconsistent service experience. I'd be happy to help look into this to find a more reliable solution. Please email me at your earliest convenience at wincanhelp@windstream.com or private message with your account information. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I have Windstream's "high speed" internet, via DSL. At a pathetic 15 Mbps. The average internet speed in the U.S. is 98 Mbps. Windstream advertises they have same speed as competition at lower prices. Well, their competition offers 1,000 Mbps at A LOWER PRICE THAN MY 15 MbPS!!! Every time I call to check on when THEIR gig speed fiber will be ready, they can't tell me. I'm switching to their competition as of today.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning Michael, our services range based on the service address. I'd be happy to look into see if any improvements can be made as we would hate to lose you as a customer. Please email me at WINCanHelp@windstream.com or private message with your account information for additional assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

DO NOT USE WINDSTREAM EVER!! We have had nothing but issues with this company from the beginning. I have to reset and unplug the router more than 10 times a day. Their customer service team takes 5 days to send anyone out and we've already had our router replaced by them. It's a ** company and deserves no business as nobody there actually does the work they should be doing. Complete failure as far as techs go. I only got Windstream to avoid a $300 internet bill from the only other service provider available. All customer service reps read from a script and sound like they hate their job. It's never fun speaking with anyone from the company but I'm forced to as they don't have any will to actually make their service available as well as any maintenance needed on their Network. They should just close the business altogether.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon Brandon, I am truly sorry to hear of your continued issues with your services with us. I'd like to help out to see what improvements can be made to your situation. Please email me at WINCanHelp@windstream.com or private message with your account information for additional assistance. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you, Maggie

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team