Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Windstream Internet Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

This company is a joke. If you use this company, just know you would get more out of putting your money in a pile and setting it on fire. My internet stopped working on January 10th. I called in and was told it would be back on by January 15th. Complained and was finally told it was expedited and would be 48 hrs. 48hrs passed and nothing. Called back and was then told there was an outage and it would be done in 72 hrs. 72hrs passed nothing. Called back and was told outrage and line fixed but there was a problem with my personal line and that they would come by the 25th, again unacceptable. Asked for manager again and again was told 48 hrs. Keep in mind my wife works from home and internet is needed for her to work, which I explained on the 10th and no one cared. They assured me 48 hrs.

I finally just move to another provider and they installed this morning, the 24th. Guess who calls and says a tech is on the way, Windstream. I'm without service on the 10th and I get a tech to come on the 24th, which there is no guarantee their tech can handle the situation. Based on my Windstream experience, I am happily paying twice as much for my service. Windstream is THAT BAD! DO NOT ENTERTAIN WINDSTREAM, EVEN IF THEY OFFER IT FOR FREE, IT'S NOT WORTH THE NON-SERVICE YOU'LL GET. They should be forced to attach a "Buyer's beware" caution with their advertising. If you read this and still choose to try their service, don't be upset when they fail you as a non-provider. P.S. I was forced to give 1 start to submit this review.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

One Star review is even too generous because that would imply the company has done work even 1 star worthy. This is simply incorrect as Windstream is possibly the worst company in America. Sure EA (Electronic Arts) gets the golden throne of bad companies for scamming and fleecing its customers with bad products and dodgey service, but ** me if Windstream doesn't generate the majority of HATE I feel in a year. Their internet is sub-par at best when it works and murderously infuriating when it (and it will without question) fails. If you have another option for internet, go with that as Windstream customer service will drive you to premeditated homicide. It's more reliable to send data via carrier pigeon than windstream lines. Can't wait for SpaceX to finish their satellite web as I'll be first in line to dump Wind-Dream service.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I have had nothing but trouble with Windstream. We have gone down at least 6 times. The first time the equipment kept going down and I had to unplug and replug by direction of Windstream. Then the equipment simply failed and my company was down 3 days before they got here to replace the equipment. Once the new equipment was installed we were good for about one month, then started to unplug and replug as the system would go down. Then went completely down and this time it took them 5 days to replace the equipment. Service is terrible, they say they will update you, but never do and I had to call them constantly for an update. My honest opinion is stay away from Windstream...

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Service is nonexistent most of the time. I’ve had service technicians out several times and have called customer service to no avail. First thing in the morning when I’m the only one on, it doesn’t even work correctly, I spend most of my time waiting for a connection. If two or more people are on, then forget it. My son cannot even play Xbox. I selected Spectrum and am very satisfied now.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I had such poor reliability of a internet signal and I would report it, when the servicemen came out to check it they even complained about the poor signal service in my area. Every time, every tech. I finally disconnected my service and then they refused to send me a refund for the unused days after I disconnected. They said it would cost them too much to send me a check for the 3 days and it was not their policy, (I should have read the fine print better, huh?) I understand it was only for around $7 but they have no problem increasing our bills by $2.00 or so when needed. We pay from the 15th to the 15th of every month and they get to keep our money if we cxl before the 15th. Why are they allowed to keep our money, I call that racketeering.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

We have had Windstream as a provider for a longtime. A friend stayed with us for awhile and after 2 days he did a speed test and found it at 1mb. I can only speculate this had been going on for along time. Called them and was offered 50mb avg. up to 75mb download for same price we were paying, $39.95 + taxes. Ok, sign me up. Had problems getting set up, but got it going after 4 days or so. Soon after speeds were up and down. Bill comes. Not the price I was quoted. That's just the start. Add up bill and I get $54.48... "Current Charges Due $68.99". Now how do you come up with that I ask after calling customer service and being on phone for 45 min? After an hour it was clear they only want to make it difficult so you just pay your bill because it's such a pain to ask them to do what they claimed they would do.

Wrote check for $45 and change for what my bill has been for years with a letter explaining our agreement. Next bill, same thing. Well, I'm not wasting my time calling. Sent another check for same amount, maybe they will figure it (I know they won't). Mailed check in early and they held it for 2 weeks and cashed it after the due date so now we have a late fee. Lol, unbelievable. If this was a small local company they would be out of business. Along with all this billing stuff, my internet speed is not what they claimed to be giving me. All in all a terrible company. If you are reading this and are having issues as well, Call the BBB and your SOS and have them be your advocate. Move on to another company and don't pay them. These are not technically "contracts" and you are not bound if you do not wish to be. In my case, they wouldn't dare sue me, because what they are doing is committing outright FRAUD!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Windstream service at one time was good and had great customer service. Now internet works for a while then down. Call for repair, then wait 4-5 days for a repair asked for the contact info of a local service mgr or person in charge locally. They won’t provide it. All you get is crappy at best customer service and thanks for being a 30 year customer. Reliability?? They have no idea what that means anymore. At least I got a bill credit last month but only after being on hold and transferred to multiple people.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Upgraded to 50 Mbps internet speed. Had it for a couple of years. No major issues since I started college and had numerous online classes. The ability to upgrade to 100 Mbps, the highest in my area, was finally available and since then I have experienced service drops every 5-10 minutes ever since. Called to have a tech come out to the area, no issues were found but the service drops continued. I have done various speed tests and it never goes above 40 Mbps. So either someone is lying to me about my 100 Mbps upgrade or the service tech missed something. I am at the point where all I can do is downgrade back to 50 Mbps since they are the only service provider around.

Windstream Internet response

Dom. Something doesn't sound right with this and I'd like to check it out. My name is Maggie and I managed wed based reviews for Windstream. Please send your information via email at WINCanHelp@windstream.com or via private message so I can help get this resolved. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Windstream internet is the worst internet ever. We upgraded to 25mps over a year ago and we get less than 1mps most of the time. Our neighbors that are on Windstream have the same problem. Their customer service is just as bad. You get someone from another country that you can't understand. Can't wait for another company to come to our area. So long Windstream.

Windstream Internet response

Hello Richard. I do apologize that you are not receiving the up to 25mb connection. I can agree that something must not be right and I would like to jump in and help figure this out. My name is Maggie and I manage web based reviews for Windstream. Please provide your account information to WINCanHelp@windstream.com or via private message and I can assist. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I called @Windstream on September 16 for a landline and internet. Here we are at December 31 and I still do not have a phone! And they are unable to give me a date as to when I will have a phone??!! #Windstreamsucks #Windstreamgetyour**together #IhateWindstream #Windstreamneedscompetition #Windstreamneedsaworkover #WindstreamneedsFCC

Windstream Internet response

Hello Renee. I am terribly sorry there has been a delay in your install. I'd like to look into this further to help get this escalated and resolved. Please email me at WINCanHelp@windstream.com or respond privately with your order information so I am able to assist.

Maggie

Not sure about Windstream Internet?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Internet Service Provider for you.

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team