1.63/5
Based on 105 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 20, 2018

435 Windstream Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2018

We have been a customer for over 30 years and have had internet since Windstream has offered it. For the past few years our phone has static that you are unable to stay on a call for a long period of time. Our internet is so bad that it feels like we have dial up as we watch the circle spin, take minutes to load programs and only one device can be on the internet at a time. I have called numerous times and Windstream has sent technicians to the house to say they will work on it but believe it is due to where the transformer is. We have been told the transformer will be updated, still nothing. Month after month I pay on time a costly bill for bad service.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Dana. Thank you for being a loyal customer. I apologize that you have not be able to use your services as needed. Please provide us the opportunity to resolve this issue. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: May 15, 2018

Was hesitant to order after reading the reviews regarding this company especially the local service in Elverson Pa. I cannot be more pleased, from the service rep to the installation professional, all was done perfectly. I highly recommend.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Tom. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for providing this positive feedback about you service and installation. If there is anything that we can help with please feel free to reach out to us.

LaToya

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We moved to Blairsville, GA in June 2017. Set up phone service, internet service and TV with Windstream. Just found out we have NEVER had dial tone at our home. We used the land line for our security system only so now we know we have NEVER had monitoring on our security system EVER. Man how is that for confidence. We had a tech from Windstream come out and when he left he informed me we had dial tone but never stepped foot in our home. Went and purchased phone. Plugged in. Guess what - no line available. Call. Left messages. Finally got to talk to a person at Windstream. Now we have to wait from Monday till Thursday for someone to come out here AGAIN and take care of something we have been paying for for almost a year. How is that for a fantastic way to run a business?? Trying to find out if I have an alternative to Windstream in our area.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Glenda. Thank you for your response. I am glad that the Blairsville, GA office was able to assist you with getting your services working properly and credit added for the outage period. If there is anything I can do to be of further assistance, please contact me directly.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2018

I had internet when it was dial up. Company did a upgrade to broadband in my area. I was .02 mile from where the broadband wiring was and lazy crew would not let me have good internet service. I pay for high dollar slow dial-up again. Also Windstream could not keep my phone service going because telephone box was underwater. Between slow dial-up internet and phone service that is way behind the times for both I went to cellular phone service. Also while bundled Dish Services they changed me for a DISH DVR that was equipment owned by Dish not me. I should not have been changed for that equipment!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Ella Maria. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Ella, if upgrades are available in your area we want to make sure they are made available to. I have asked for additional information via PM. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We were promised "high speed" Internet. Once they were here to install, the technician informed us that in our neighborhood we can only get the slowest speed BUT they were working on getting a junction box and we would have the higher speed soon. He assured us what he was able to give us now would be plenty fast enough to stream Netflix and Hulu on the one device we have. It's been almost 2 months, countless calls with call center employees, 2 technicians, 4 modems and $200+ later and we still aren't able to use our wifi! It went from crappy service to what we have currently, which is NO service. This place is a waste of time & money. It's looks as though many others have made the same determination!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Kinsley. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your internet is not working properly. I would like the opportunity to resolve this issue so you are able to use service as you need. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: May 12, 2018

This company does not want to spend money to upgrade their service. They wait for other service providers to upgrade and then they piggyback. I have fiber within 1,500 hundred feet of my home yet they want to charge 10 thousand dollars to connect.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, James. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Windstream has invested greatly in improving our network to improve our overall customer experience. James, we would like to explore any options that will help your service. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I've been with Windstream for my internet & phone system. The service has been getting worse and worse. Just recently I've lost my entire phone system and internet with them for 4 days! You can call the 1800 service line but they will just give you the runaround. They even claimed on the last day that they fixed all problems but my service was still out! I was losing business and costing thousands of dollars in operation alone! I was forced to reroute the numbers on my own by hiring a tech from another vendor. I am leaving Windstream and I advise others to do the same. This is not the first time and sure won't be the last. Every year this gets worse and worse. Run for the hills!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Ken. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Ken, I apologize that your service issues have affected your business negatively. I would like to work with you to resolve these issues and improve your experience. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Been with Windstream for years now. They lie. You buy a bundle package for 64.99 a lifetime guarantee and you pay 115.00 a month or more. Takes two to three weeks to transfer service. A week if your phone is out. Their internet is a joke. We have a 100 megabits and running 43 but paying for a 100. Sure a bad company anymore.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Edith. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We appreciate your business and want to make sure that you are receiving the best rates and service. I have asked for additional information via private message to assist in this matter. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2018

For the last week we have had unreliable internet service. It will work for an hour then will for no reason go down. After calling in to have a tech be sent out to fix the issues we are having. The office was able to see that there is static buildup in the line. We schedule the tech for Monday. Before he comes out he looks at something and says that everything has been working for 12 hours, and cancels the appointment only to have the internet go down that very evening. I work out of town and now must fly out of town tomorrow and must leave my wife and five children to deal with this most frustrating problem.

I do not subscribe for tele, only internet. Leaving my wife with spotty WiFi to entertain our young children with. The internet is pretty decent when it works. But we have had issue after issue from the static mentioned above to a decoded junction box 3 months ago that required reprogramming of which there was only one tech that could properly fix the issue. To top it all off there no other ISPs that reach our home. It feels like Windstream knows they are our only option and since this is the case they give crappy service and refuse the properly fix the issue.

I would not recommend this ISP to my worst enemy and only grudgingly tell any new neighbors that move close that they must contact with Windstream due to them being the only option in the area. I do warn them however get ready for crappy customer service, the words we will get to you when we get to you and to have a stress ball handy. Otherwise they will be yelling at inanimate objects such as the modem. Their tv. Computer, router. Sooooo so frustrating.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Kolin. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand your frustration about not having your service working properly. I would like to make sure we work to correct this issue as quickly as possible. I have asked for some additional information via PM. Please review and follow-up at your convenience.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I keep being told that Windstream services are not available in my neighborhood. Even though I see Windstream trucks and technicians in my neighborhood I kept being told that service was not available when I called the 800 number. One day I finally got through to someone who confirmed that cable internet is available. They scheduled an install and had me waiting on an install between 1 pm and 3 pm. When I called after 3 pm I was told that the tech updated the case by stating that service is not available in my neighborhood. I was put on hold and eventually they hung up on me. Please help me! I don’t have any other provider but Windstream besides satellite internet.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Rod. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We are excited that you are wanting to join Windstream as a customer. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please provide that information at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Slowest internet available which is only exacerbated by there being NO internet signal whatsoever more often than not. Our modem went out, according to the technician, so he replaced it without mention that from that moment on, we would be charged an additional monthly modem amount. Hmm, sounds like a ploy to me. Grant it, the new modem did give us internet access again for a week or so without interruption but no more and we had called in so many times that they know that we know the whole routine... This is the most ridiculous way to do business! Because we are located in some other place besides the city of Abilene we do not get to have reliable internet access. Customer service just says "Well, you could just buy your own modem and then there wouldn't be a charge", gee thanks.

Trust me, I will find the way to be forever liberated from Windstream and their horrendous internet and snake-like business deception, I mean practice. All they had to do to at least make me happy was to remove the modem charge which was never agreed upon to begin with..and credit our account the amount paid for those charges since the inception back in September which isn't an unreasonable request given the number of times we have had to make do without internet service even though we pay for it every month without fail. Plus, when there is the odd thunderstorm, the phone lines are so static filled that you can't receive a call and actually understand the person on the other end much less be able to fax. Karma will eventually come back around and deal with this company for its horrendous business practices which won't be a minute too soon.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Pamela. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. You should know what charges to expect on your billing and I apologize there was a lack of communication. I hope that you provide us the opportunity to make this right. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please follow-up at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I pay almost $200 a month for internet service that does not work the majority of the time. Even after resetting, service did not work. We are having to rely on our data plan from our cellphone service to be able to get online on our mobile devices. For almost $200 a month you would think you were paying for great service BUT that is NOT the case with WINDSTREAM internet service. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Gabby. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. It is important that the services that you pay for work properly. I have asked for some additional information via private message to assist you with getting this resolved. Please provide this information at your earliest convenience. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Low speed, hang ups of browser, and constant disconnection of internet connection on desktop pc. Customer service never really resolves the problems.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Annamae. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have issues with your broadband performance. I would like to assist you with getting this issue resolved. I have asked for additional information via PM. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2018

Bills are way too high especially when some people are on fixed income and elderly people. At&t drops calls and Windstream a lot of stating on phones or internet is not what they tell you.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Donna. I am LaToya and I manage web-base reviews for Windstream. I understand your concerns about pricing and service quality. I hope that we have the opportunity to review your account to make sure that you are receiving the best rates and service. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 5, 2018

I used this company for 3 months. The phone service was great but the internet service didn't get used, due to the area I lived in... And to cancel it, they made it really hard to do so. And to get reimbursed, was a nightmare. I don't recommend this company.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Crystal. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you did not have easiest time interacting with us. Hopefully, you provide us the opportunity to make this right. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please follow-up at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2018

Bundled with tv and phone. I would of switch but I feel all providers suck! Bundled deals are not very good. Current customers are not treated well.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, William J. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We appreciate your business and want to make sure that your experience with Windstream is one that you are pleased with. I have asked for additional information via PM to review your account for the best rates available. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: May 1, 2018

I returned kinetic equipment with a label that Windstream provided. Windstream states never received equipment. I took the package to USPS as it was addressed to: SmartPost/Returns, Parcel RTN Service, 56950 as directed on the package, I can view the tracking history and the package was picked up by a third party (Returns Agent) from the post office. I called Windstream Customer Service and they stated I have to find out where the package is... but I didn’t set up the returns agent and have no way to track, plus since I did not create the return label (Windstream did) I do not have authority to get information... In the meantime I have a change of $212 on my credit report for non return of equipment. This is crazy... I talked to so many customer service reps and no one wants to help me!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Sue. Thank you for taking my call today. I apologize that you had such an issue with getting your equipment returned. I am glad that we could correct this issue. If you should have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Resolution response: May 1, 2018

So let me start here.

LaToya is a God send. If not for her, I don't think anything would have gotten done, no joke.

So,
3 stars for the company. Why?
1. Despite telling them my address several times and sending them the lease agreement - they still had the wrong address AND contact info for the previous tenet at my address. I don't know where wires got crossed but it was a major communication error on the company end. Unfortunately they are the only service provider that comes to my area so it really feels like they just don't care bc they dont have to.

2. I'm personally upset that I even had to go so far as leave a negative review in the first place. I don't like being that person, and being pregnant just makes it that much worse.

So, Kudos to LaToya. She has the hook up to get stuff done. Seriously, any issues she is the person to talk to. I even had to call tech support for an issue, and they wouldnt help me bc I'm not on the acct yet. My husband works 12 hr shifts 4 days a week. He wouldn't have been able to call till his next day off in 4 days. Thankfully I still had her number to get the issue resolved.

Was the issue resolved?

Yes. After much headache in the beginning, we were able to get the issue resolved.

Windstream - you need more LaToya's. Seriously.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Beyond ridiculous. Called Friday to set up services. Told a tech would be out Monday because they can't do same day hook up even though we called early that morning. We called first thing Monday morning because we haven't heard anything. Our appointment was canceled without notice because previous tenants still have services connected. We are being told now that it'll be another 24 to 48 hrs for them to verify documents before they can schedule a tech to come out. We already waited the weekend. Why were we not notified of the issue on Friday? Now we are being told to wait more?

This is ridiculous and honestly poor customer service. I wish there were other services available in this area. Then one rep trying to dodge and tell us we can't speak with a supervisor. And telling us that they didn't know this info until a tech comes out to the property. I work from home, been home all weekend. There has not been anyone out to the property and I know where the box is. There has been no one out here. Again, why are we being denied due to your companies lack of communication? This has been 1 giant headache.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Danielle. It was a pleasure working with you today to get your services installed; once we could get all the information on the order correct. I hope going forward that you will enjoy your overall Windstream experience. If there is anything I can do to help with that please feel free to contact me directly.

LaToya

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have never had any problem with company. They always been there to help in any way they can. I have my computer protection with them and every time I call for help someone is there.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Amanda. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for your positive feedback. We want to continue to be there for your needs. Please let us know if there is anything we can assist you with further.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2018

Customer service is good and the installation crew was good. But only deliver less than half speed they promise. They try to blame your equipment, but I spent the money to have it checked and everything was good.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Thomas. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for the positive feedback concerning our technicians and customer service agents. However, we strive to provide a great experience in all aspects of service and that includes your internet performance. Please provide us the opportunity to correct this issue. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 26, 2018

I work from home and have access only to 4.0 MBPS. My company ran a scan and speed was 1.37 - tech came up and advised we should get an upgrade to some equipment they could install - appointment was set and day before they were due got a call saying manager had canceled. If I had other options I would dump these folks in a heartbeat.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Elizabeth. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I look forward to getting your speed issue resolved. I have reached out to you via private message for additional information. Please review for follow-up at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 24, 2018

We’ve had service over 10 years and unfortunately it’s our only option for Internet service, which is ridiculous! A few years ago service improved, but was still not great and the last year it has been the worst ever! We lost Internet for over a month and we’re not prime area for a hurricane near Atlanta, GA. We constantly have to reset the modem and service is so incredibly slow, even though we pay extra for faster speed. I’ve never seen fast speed. It’s like we’re on Dial-up! We are not a super rural area, so I feel for those who are where the service is worse as I could not imagine worse.

You’d better believe if we had another option we’d be using it, but unfortunately we are stuck! Comcast runs on both sides of our road, but not in the middle of the road near two schools; we can throw a rock where the line ends on one side. :( Better service is needed! With the amount of complaints you’d think someone would be listening and making changes, but I guess that’s irrelevant when you have a monopoly.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Whitney. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We hear you and want to help get you get your service working properly. I have reached out to you via private message for additional information. Please review for follow-up at your earliest convenience.

Customer increased Rating by 4 stars! Resolution In Progress
Resolution response: April 26, 2018

Recently had a breakdown of internet, phone and credit card machine service for my business from Windstream. I left a review and instantly got a call. The service has been restored immediately along with calls from the company. Very satisfied with the prompt serve. Thank you.

Original review: April 22, 2018

We have been experiencing extremely bad connection for our business phone, internet and now credit card machine. When and if they show up, the service person has no idea what the problem is and they never send another person who may have the ability to fix the problem, this is taking a toll on my business and nerves. What can we do? Can't talk with anyone who has anything to say except they are sorry for our inconvenience. This is supposed to a reputable company but it is not in any way. No service, no concern but they demand to be paid every month.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Barbara. I appreciate you providing us the opportunity to troubleshoot your internet service and improve your overall performance. If there is anything else that we can do to assist you please feel free to contact me directly.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2018

We have experienced the same problems with our internet service that many of the other postings have described. We have had inconsistent and slow internet for the past 2 years and each service call has resulted in the problem getting worse to the point where our internet has been basically down for the past 4 months. Each phone call to Windstream is the same runaround, no supervisor/manager to talk to, no help from “the tier two specialist”, no fix from the 10 or so technicians that have replaced “the improper relay”, or the “incorrectly wired box”, or replacing the “bad outdated modem”.

I keep having to remind myself that yes I do live in America the most technologically advanced country on the planet and I am not living in the third world where I wouldn’t expect luxuries like a working internet. So why can’t this company get their act together and fix this? I and apparently many other folks are tired of paying for a service they are not getting! There has to be some type of recourse here!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Thomas. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I have reached out to you via private message for additional information but haven't heard back. We are anxious to get our act together and improve your internet services. Please check your private message at your earliest convenience for further assistance.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 14, 2018

Hands down the worst internet I have ever used in the last 15 years, especially at $80 a month. My internet constantly goes down on a daily basis, each time it goes down it cycles through 4 different IP addresses, and I am clearly having major connectivity issues. Most of the time I cannot even use it because it will not stay connected. I would say half of the time my DSL will go down and then connect back at half of the speed its supposed to be, then I will have to restart the modem a few times to get back to full speed. Called tech support a number of times, they tested the line from my house to the street and said everything checks out... Still having the same problems, so I replaced the modem and still having the same problems... The third time I contacted tech support, they gave me the runaround and said everything looks good on our end.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Christopher. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you a better internet experience. We are always looking to improve and maintain a positive Windstream experience. If there is anything we can do assist you further, please feel free to contact me directly.

-LaToya

Original review: April 13, 2018

Tech support is terrible at best. Was offered a free upgrade from 12 Mbps to 25 Mbps. They set up appointment and five months later still zero upgrade and still terrible modem speed. Sometimes once a day we'll have to reset it with an ink pen just to get 5 Mbps. Please Windstream feel free to contact me.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Gary. It was a pleasure speaking with you today. We appreciate your feedback and giving us the opportunity to provide a resolution to the broadband issues that you were experiencing. If there are any other issues that we can assist you with, please contact me via the information that has been given via PM.

-LaToya

Original review: April 10, 2018

Had internet installed yesterday 4-9-18. Called because speed was slow. They started a ticket. Said I could get a prorate for bad service. They closed the ticket in 15 min. No change speed. Slow. 10-16 Mbps. Won't stream video. So I called back. They refused to send a tech. They refused to open another ticket. Refused to let me talk to a supervisor. They suck.

Windstream Internet response

Good afternoon J, thanks again for providing us with the valuable feedback regarding your experience as our goal is to ensure our customer's have the best experience possible with every interaction. We also appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make this right for you and will certainly follow up with you after your jack install order has been completed. If you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out and we appreciate your business!

-LaToya

Original review: April 4, 2018

I don't know who's worse the people in customer service or the people in the field. The people in customer service just give you company nonsense. It's customer policy to lie and tell you your internet be restored in 8 hours and every 8 hours it's 8 hours for 4 days straight. They tell you they'll give you credit then tell you have to call back when the service is restored in order to get credit for the days without internet service. The clowns should stick to servicing ** Arkansas and get the hell out of Pennsylvania. My cable internet never goes out and I don't have to reboot my modem every day when it locks up.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Wayne. I am LaToya and I manage reviews at Windstream. I understand your frustration based on your customer service experience. I have reached out to you via private message for additional information so these issues can be addressed. Please check your PM at your earliest convenience and respond to the provided contact information.

Windstream

Customer Experience Specialist

Original review: April 3, 2018

Constantly lose phone signal and so I had that disconnected and now my internet does the same thing. Technicians come out to do the same repair to my phone line for every 3 years for the past 20 years I have had service. It takes them 4 hours to do the repair to replace a simple relay. The customer service people will not give you a manager when you ask for one. They talk over you and it is the worst service ever. I used to do customer service training for years and if these people treated customers like I was treated, they would have been fired. Stay away from this company.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Winton. I am LaToya and I manage reviews at Windstream. I have attempted to reach out to you via private message for additional information concerning the internet connection issues. I hope that you provide use the opportunity to improve your overall experience. Please check your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided.

Windstream-Customer Experience Specialist

Original review: March 31, 2018

My Windstream internet constantly drops off and requires me to "disconnect" and "connect" to re-establish my feed. I got a different modem from them, but the problem persists. The price has nearly doubled since my promotional period elapsed and I couldn't be more disappointed with the inconsistent product they've provided. They get one more star than Comcast.

Windstream Internet response

Good afternoon Michael. My name is Latoya and I manage our reviews here at Windstream. We have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right and ensure you have a reliable connection as we know this is important. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

-Latoya

Windstream-Customer Experience Specialist

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs