1.70/5
Based on 116 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

458 Windstream Internet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

Worst company to deal with when it comes to internet. On the phone with them over 45 minutes. The first person told me it would take 2 days to troubleshoot. Why. My internet just went down. I told her that was unacceptable and I wanted to talk to someone who could help me now. Their tech support is worthless!!! She transferred me to the phone department. Then I had to wait for another rep who still wouldn't do anything to help me. So now I have no internet and no TV (firestick) for 2 days. I have been with Windstream for about 15 years. I am looking to switch now.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 19, 2018

Windstream seems to think that an acceptable timeframe to resolve internet issues is measured in weeks. My DSL went down with noise on the line prior to June 29 & after calling for 3 days, the earliest they could send a tech would be over a week since I was not a priority due to not being a business account. Since they are the only option available for internet in my area, I canceled the residential service & ordered a business line. It was activated & has the same issue, I called tech support and it will still be over a week before they will address the issue. Worst service that I've ever experienced by far!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had internet issues that have not been resolved. Please provide me the opportunity to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2018

We have been Windstream customers for approximately 4 months now. Service was adequate until a storm knocked out our router 3 weeks ago (June 28th). Power was still off until late on that Friday, so when the power came back on and the router did not we called Windstream on June 30th. The Customer Service rep we spoke with seemed very helpful at the time and told us our new router would be delivered on July 3rd. July 3rd came and went, no router. So we call Windstream again. We are told they have no record of a router being ordered and will dispatch a new order to expect it in 3-5 days. After 3 days and no router being delivered AGAIN. They assured us it was on its way. Two more days pass with no router. We call again and are told it doesn't look like they shipped the correct router anyways and it was dispatched to the incorrect address (it was sent to a prior billing address).

I explained that that address is not correct and ask her to verify that it has changed, and also inform her that no router was ever delivered to that address either because I still know the individuals living there and contacted them. I am told they will re dispatch ANOTHER router to our correct address, and it will be delivered on July 17th. On July 17th, AGAIN, no router was delivered to our address. We call Windstream and are told the router was delivered to the old address (ugh...), they say they will dispatch another router but we said we would just get in contact with that residence and pick it up because at this point we just want our internet to work. We get home with the router and guess what, it doesn't work. We call Windstream and go through several troubleshooting options to no avail. The Rep tells us that it will require a technician to fix and puts in a ticket for the next day.

She told us she would put a note for our residence to be the first ticket of the day and told us the time of 7:30 am and stated the tech would call us 30 minutes to and hour before he arrived. By 9:30 am the next day we have yet to receive a call and no technician has come to fix the issue. We call Windstream (AGAIN)... they told us they see the note the prior rep typed for 7:30 am but the planning department scheduled the call for 11am - 1pm. I asked why we weren't informed and they could not provide an answer other than "it would have been up to the planning department to call".

I asked if we could get a more concrete time because we took time off of work that morning to be available for the tech but had to be back at work at 10 am. I am told they could not give any more specific time for the repair and would have to wait for the technician to contact me. I am not confident that will happen at this point. I have never had this many issues with one company in my life, and I am convinced you only stay in business because you have service in areas with no other affordable options.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, April. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for the inconvenience of this situation. Please allow me to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I’ve given Windstream one star only because it’s impossible to give zero stars. We’ve been using Windstream for 10 years or so and the internet service is extremely shoddy. We’ve paid out bill on time every month, yet most months we don’t have a full month of uninterrupted service. It’s impossible to get any kind of progress attempting to talk to their customer service reps. We’ve had multiple modems, as a matter of fact they replaced one just a couple of weeks ago AFTER we were without service for several days. Better yet, the internet is down AGAIN, with no idea when a tech will be sent out to fix the issue.

My wife works customer service from home for an internet retail company and she’s now forced to lose pay, and may end up losing her job because of Windstream’s miserable service. If this happens they will hear from my lawyer. I’ve spoken to many people in my area and apparently since Windstream is the only ISP in the area they don’t care about their customers. Maybe it’s time we all got together and filed suit.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Robert L. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had repeat issues with your service. Please provide us the opportunity to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Windstream is a total nightmare. They are an absolute joke. I have never had a worse experience with a service company in my life. We bought our house this past winter and from December-June we had the exact same issue with the internet cutting out in rain. I tried being nice, I tried being rude, I tried everything to get these people to just fix the service I paid them on time for every month. Most of the customer service employees (and believe me I talked to enough to gauge the pool) seemed like they had no idea what I was talking about. It was like it was everyone’s first day. My calls were full of “Um... Um... Um...let me put you in a brief hold...”

Finally, SIX MONTHS later a service guy (bless him, someone find this man and give him a raise) found a bird nest in our wiring housing on the line outside and they had picked at the line, which was allowing rain to get in. No one had even checked it even though I explicitly made my point (SEVERAL TIMES) that it had to be a line issue. Today our internet is out AGAIN. They can never get a service tech out until the next day. I’ve called them at 7 AM before and it’s still next day before anyone can be here. I guess I understand with the shoddy service they provide, I’m sure they have plenty of calls to go to. I am on the lookout for a new service, living in our rural area makes it tough to find options, I guess that’s how they get any business period by coming to places that don’t have a choice. But at this point I’d pay more for less to get rid of these people. Do yourself a favor and don’t pay these people a cent, find a service that provides what they advertise.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Lacy. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that your experience has caused you to feel this way. Hopefully, we have the opportunity to address these issues and resolve them appropriately. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Original review: July 16, 2018

I got Windstream Internet in Richmond TX. We are a suburb of Houston so this is not a rural area. We are on their fiber optic backbone. I been a customer for less than a year and I can tell you their service is BS. Not only that but they use deceptive practices to get you to sign up. They sent me an email saying my modem rental would be $0. But when I checked my bill, they are charging me 9.99 + tax. They have done this behind my back after confirmation via email and on the phone.

I have called 3 times to try and get a refund. The first time the CS rep told me to send my email confirmation, which I did. She said she would call me back and she never did. The other 2 times I called the line got disconnected, how convenient for them. I am starting to suspect that the CS reps are trained to hang up when they cant answer a question. They had an outage for two consecutive days. They said on the phone that they would give me a refund for the downtime, but they never did. I feel like they have lied to me and scammed me out of my money.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, John. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize about the miscommunications issues associated with the modem billing. Please allow me to assist with making this right. I have requested additional information via PM. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been a Windstream customer for about a month now. For the initial install they put my order on hold due to needing equipment. The issue is I took a vacation day for the appointment and was never told. When they rescheduled they didn't even check my availability. After the service was up I had my first issue in about a week. Here the tech unplugged and plugged in the box outside the house.

When they buried the cable they put a PVC pipe in front of my gate so I could not open it. When they came out to move the pipe the tech said he can't do anything since he didn't have a key for the box. Someone came to look at the service since I was down again and he moved the pipe, but did nothing to address the issue with the unreliable service saying he didn't have to do anything; it is working.

A day or so later I was down yet again. Call in and get the usual answer of having to wait four days for a tech. Was told it was being escalated and never got a reply. The next day I had to call back in for a status and was told, "You are calling on Tuesday and your appointment is on Thursday." I had to explain the situation and then argue to speak to a manager. Got a team lead who was able to escalate it and I had a tech out the next day. He fixed some wires that were frayed during the original install, replaced a board and said it looks good. The next day I was down yet again. Each time I call in they are having issues communicating with the box outside. I called it in again and was told it would be escalated, expect a call back by end of day. The next day I call in again for a status and am told I would get a call back in a few minutes. I am still waiting.

I am not a fan of Spectrum and think they charge too much for old tech, but they are reliable. So far I cannot trust Windstream's product at all and their service has been very poor. The techs seem to take the minimum amount of steps when reviewing a problem as well. To this day no one has checked anything downstream to confirm there aren't issues.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Brian. My name is Amanda with Windstream Communications. Thank you for your recent review. I have sent you a private message so we can assist you with your Windstream services and resolve your outstanding concerns. Please respond and we'll be glad to help you. Thank you. - Amanda.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 11, 2018

Ok to start off I been with Windstream for over 25 years and it has to be in my honest opinion the worst experience I have ever had to deal with. If there was another ISP that I could swap to I would in a heartbeat cause to save the least let's just say my PROBLEMS! have persisted for over 25 years which involves getting these letters in the mail that advertise that I can upgrade my internet to 5 to 6Mb. When I call about it I get told there is no future plans of upgrading my area. What's even worse is my area is massively oversold to the point I can't stay connected for very long due to how bad unstable it is because Windstream refuses to upgrade the area and instead chooses to give the runaround. The other issues that I suffer from is constant disconnections that still persist even after a tech has come out. I've called numerous times to get this issue fixed and still yet I get nothing done.

The other issues I get is my internet speed which is not even half a Mb cause it's always being lowered along with me having ping so darn high this might as well be considered dial up. Honestly with the false advertising that Windstream does I'm highly considering taking it court and I urge everyone else to do the same cause right now at this moment I feel like I'm being cheated out of a lot of money for a service that I cannot use. Don't forget to mention the fact my phone goes out every day and stays off every day which is a big issue. What if an emergency comes up and I can't contact family or they can't contact me over an emergency if PRTC was in my area?

I would change to them in a heartbeat but sadly I'm stuck with Windstream and to be frank about this and this is strictly my opinion Windstream is the biggest joke of a ISP I have ever seen in my life with all these issues in a oversold area that they really need to upgrade and do something about. It's been about 3 to 5 months now that I have called numerous times and the experience still continues to get worse each day that passes but I will end this review by saying I hope something gets done to change this negative experience into a good experience and wish everyone else a good day and God bless.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Cody. Thank you for your recent review of Windstream. My name is Amanda from Windstream and would like to help you. I have sent you a private message regarding your concerns. We do appreciate your feedback and would like the chance to improve your services. Thank you very much. - Amanda.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Been dealing with same issue for month and half and cannot get it fixed. My internet keeps dropping numerous times a day for no reason. Have called customer service over 10 times (even called and asked for supervisor and was told "she" was on another line and would call me right back...hour & half later with no response, I called back and guy named Cory said he was the supervisor but he stated he could not help me with my issue) plus I've had 2 techs (which were all very nice) out here on 4 separate occasions and they said the problem was the main board but that another dept. would have to fix and they even lowered my upload speed to try to help...NOT!!!

Bad part is...Windstream is the only service out here right now where I live, BUT if you're going to offer service, you should have service that works!!! Bet you I wouldn't have service long if I only paid when I wanted to. I cannot wait for Xfinity to get out here in the next few months I've been told, so I can actually have the service I pay for. You may not have a choice, but if you do, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH WINDSTREAM!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Traci. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I want you to have the service for which you are paying for. I have requested information via private message for resolution of this issues. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Had Windstream for a couple years and at least 4 to 5 times a week our modem has to be MANUALLY reset and the internet drops off constantly. I recently discovered that Windstream is not defined as a high def carrier, they are a standard def carrier. They do not tell you this when you sign up. OR EVER and if there is a problem it's always on our end. Not their fault. It's the modem or the router or a buried cable. UNTRUE. Our bill is $200 on avg because we go over our data plan, but once the extra is paid it's supposed to be unlimited. I would calculate that the internet is off 60 hours a month but do we get reimbursed for that? NO. I intend to find another carrier, I HAVE HAD IT.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Mitchell. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you had had issues with your services. I hope that we have the opportunity to troubleshoot and resolve these issues. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: July 10, 2018

About a week ago we lost our landline. No dial tone, could not make or receive calls. After calling every few days to check on the status of my ticket, (I have a small business and need my landline due to my cell phone not having good connection) 2 Windstream vans pulled in my driveway late this afternoon. It literally took them 30 to 45 minutes to find the source of the issue, now I have my phone service back!!! The Windstream employees were great!!! Very nice and very efficient!! I am very satisfied with the service I received from Windstream!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Leyna. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for the positive feedback. We strive to provide quality service to all our customer and I am happy that we hit the mark for you. Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Resolution response: July 9, 2018

A day after writing my review a tech was finally sent back to our home and did rectify our problem. As of this writing our phone and internet are both back up and working fine.

Original review: July 5, 2018

For the past 3 weeks our internet connection has been dropping for hours at a time. Called Windstream for service after the 1st week, took three days to get a technician out to look at it. We were told that our high speed internet (25mbps) was not available due to us being “too far from the main” and they had to “drop it to 15.” This after we have been paying for high speed for the past two years. We were then told all was fixed and should have no further problems. Two hours after the technician left, the same problem started back up. Called Windstream back and was given three different excuses as to the problem, and told a new ticket would be opened but could not give me a definitive time a tech would be back.

The next morning we lost our phone connection. Subsequent calls to Windstream produced the same different excuses and a “note being added” to our open ticket but nothing else. The neighbors surrounding us all have working internet and phones (also with Windstream) but ours is still not functioning correctly. Long story short, for the past three weeks we have had intermittent internet, and no phone for the past week, with no help from Windstream in sight. Poor excuse for customer service, bad example on way to run a company.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Jack. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have been having issues with you internet and phone service for the last month. I would like to make sure that your service is working properly. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have had Windstream for nearly a year. When I first signed up I had to go to war with them over being charged for a landline I didn't have nor wanted in my house. "JUST the internet" I said. They finally took off the phone end of the bill which made my monthly bill tax and all for just internet $61.91. This month I called to make as always my payment by phone and was told it went up $10.00 because of some credit had ended but I had 1 more credit that was to expire in September then my bill would jack up once again another $25.00 for a total of over $100.00. Theft by deception I say. I was not told that my bill was done on some promotional bases to begin with. If you can't openly sell your product as is by bill of sale then criminal charges should be filed on you with massive fines from the FCC. To whom I've also contacted over this.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Eric. I am LaToya and i manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand how frustrating an unexpected increase in you bill would be. I would like to review your account and explore any options that we may have that can reduce your overall billing. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 3, 2018

Have been without internet for a week and this is not the first time. Every time a tech is to come out, there is a problem. Service was scheduled for today... could be ANY TIME so we gave 2 cell #'s to call prior to coming out. I left house at 8:45 am and got a call saying ticket had been closed @ 10:01 am. I assumed since they had not called me, they had called my husband. WRONG!!! When I got home, he said he had been out but got him at 9:45 am. He had not rec a call from Windstream during that time. I called customer service who said tech had left a note.

The note said he checked from box to house and service was good. Also said "DID NOT HAVE A CELL # TO CALL." Cust service said she could reschedule for Fri-which I told her was no good cause we are going out of town. She then said she would schedule it for Mon. which leaves us without service for 12 days. My thing is this... We should be put at the top of the list as this entire thing is Windstream's fault. It'd the had called prior to coming out as they were told to do, someone would have been there. Either tech lied about not having a ph # or customer service was amiss for not giving him the 2 cell #'s we provided. This kind of bad customer service has happened EVERY TIME we have requested service. If they weren't the only provider around, I would drop them in a heartbeat. WINDSTREAM IS THE WORSE!!! If you have any other option, please be good to yourself and use any service other than WINDSTREAM.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Bonita. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret we did not meet our commitment to you for the repair of your service. I would like to address this issue as soon as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 29, 2018

I've been with Windstream since they took over Alltel many years ago. My internet speed is unbelievably slow, slower than dial up most of the time. Windstream claims that I can only get 4 mbps, haven't seen 4 yet, my download speed is actually around .04 mbps. I'm within feet of the Kinetic Services they say is blazing fast, probably another lie. But they won't connect us, it's not like I live in the woods, we're off a main road 2 miles from town. But anyway after years of complaining to Windstream nothing yet, so if there's anyone out there who cares, please help. If there was another provider in my area I would leave these crooks. Warning. Stay away from Windstream if you can.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Paul. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Internet is important and I would like to make sure that we have explored all options to improve your experience. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 25, 2018

I ordered internet service from Windstream and it never has worked correctly. I called numerous times, pleaded my case, multiple emails and phone calls and NOTHING. I just filed an FCC compliant. Hopefully someone will listen. The most recent mail from them is an 11k bill for termination??? No credit for non-existent service, no reasonable person that will listen, and a whole bunch of reps that are hiding behind a policy. I was brought up to do the right thing. Windstream, when are you going to do the right thing?

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Shannon. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that your services haven't been working as expected. I would like to make sure this issue is resolved as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2018

To say Windstream’s service is reliable is like saying North Korea has power 24/7. It’s TERRIBLE! I should get a prorated refund for the amount of time I’m not getting service. If you have a choice of internet providers in your area, DO NOT choose Windstream. They should think about changing their name to Slipstream. It’s more fitting. Service just “slips” to off on a daily basis. I can’t wait to switch. Wait, I can’t wait till this company goes out of business.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Eric. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your internet experience with Windstream has caused you to feel this way. I would like to work with you to assist with resolving these issues. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: June 20, 2018

Initially the tech called and said I could not get service even though there was service there in the past, after going round with the service department, they came out and fixed the problem the next day. Thank You Windstream, if there is any way they can get you going they will. Much appreciated.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I scheduled service to my new home for today, 6/18/18. The technician called me this morning to tell me that there is no pin available for my home! The former owner had internet and telephone with Windstream! The technician said that when he vacated the property the pin was used for another customer! I am very upset about this and have yet to talk to the 'engineering department'. I have an internet business and need the internet and a landline! I have already purchased this home and if I had known this I would have purchased a different home! I am less than 2 miles from the town of Fort White. This is unacceptable!

Furthermore, no one can tell me when or if I will be able to have internet and phone service!!! I did not want to be forced to use HughesNet or AT&T!!! I do not want a satellite dish!!! HughesNet does not provide a landline and AT&T locks me in for 2 years!!! So if Windstream becomes available in the meantime AT&T will charge me a 300 dollar early cancellation fee! What the hell? Is Windstream in the dark ages?? I am more than upset right now. Get with the times! You used the pin for my house for someone else without adding more! Unacceptable!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Bethanne. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I am pleased to hear that your service was repaired and that everything that could be done was. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 15, 2018

In January 2018, without any advanced notice, access to my e-mail platform was blocked by Windstream, my service provider. Contacting a customer service representative, I was redirected to another e-mail platform - Windstream Webmail - that I didn't ask for and didn't want. I then found that my folders and contacts list hadn't been moved from the old platform to the new. When contacted, Windstream advised that the problem would be fixed within twenty-four to forty-eight hours, I telephoned again when that period had elapsed and nothing had been done.

Again, I was told the problem would be fixed soon. Finally, after the passage of weeks, when my folders and contacts list still hadn't been restored, I escalated my complaint. Ryan **, a representative at the Windstream Consumer Repair Center, responded. I told him I expected Windstream to fulfill its stated commitment to move my folders and contacts list. He requested remote access to my computer, which I granted. Consulting with colleagues about the issue, Mr. ** said, "You've got us stumped". After two telephone calls lasting more than two hours, Mr. ** finally managed to move some folders from the old e-mail platform, providing instructions that would allow me to move the rest.

A day or two after this very time-consuming consultation, I discovered all e-mail messages in the sub-folder I'd labeled 'Windstream' had been deleted without my knowledge or permission. When I contacted Windstream about this, I was told the messages been deleted because it was thought messages sent to other users of Windstream e-mail service were causing the problems I'd reported. No e-mail messages sent to other users of Windstream e-mail were deleted, only those sent to and received from Windstream representatives concerning service issues. Subsequently, before remembering to delete downloads that had enabled remote access to my computer, I found someone had accessed my backup computer (it was offline at the time I spoke with Mr. **), intruding in the 'Windstream' sub-folder residing there.

I've been unable to send e-mail messages to people with whom I'd communicated for more than a decade, and that's just one problem among many with Windstream Webmail. One Windstream representative told me bugs are to be expected in a new system, especially one with so many new features, ignoring the fact that the basic function of that system - sending and receiving e-mail - had been compromised. I've now been saddled with Windstream Webmail for six months and the bugs haven't been fixed. I've no need of or interest in its new features, whatever they may be. From my perspective Windstream Webmail is, in every way, far less satisfactory than the platform it replaces.

Updated on 07/04/2018: I've been a customer of Windstream (for telephone and Internet services) for more than ten years, but only because I'm unaware of better alternatives. Difficulties with the DSL service provided by Windstream at my residence were essentially endless over the course of many years. My complaints to Windstream representatives about DSL issues were mostly fruitless and frustrating, with Windstream representatives attributing service issues to a wide variety of factors for which Windstream accepted no responsibility (viz., children getting out of school and slowing Internet service, problems with my computer and with wiring in my house, software issues that I could only solve by contacting Microsoft, and so on ad nauseam).

I wish I'd counted the hours I spent on the telephone with Windstream representatives trying to get the service for which I was paying; it'd allow me to quantify the considerable inconvenience and annoyance Windstream has caused me. No other service provider I've ever had dealings with has given such dismal service and cost so much of my time needlessly. I'm not a highly skilled computer user but, through discussions with computer professionals and others more knowledgeable than me, I came to understand how often I'd been misled by and had my time wasted by Windstream representatives. Disabling problems with the DSL service were finally addressed when fiber optics replaced the clearly oversubscribed Copper wiring in the distribution system in my neighborhood.

The "Resolution in Progress" shown for my earlier complaint at this website, as with so many other complaints here, is mere window dressing on the part of Windstream. In response to a written complaint I'd filed with the North Carolina Department of Justice concerning ongoing problems I'm having with Windstream Webmail, Windstream sent an apology but did nothing to resolve of the problems I'd identified. The IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) e-mail platform Windstream forced on me in January is an unsatisfactory replacement for the PoP (Post Office Protocol) e-mail platform that served me well for a decade. It gives error messages daily.

Opening or deleting e-mail messages is often very slow. Repeatedly throughout the day, I'm obliged to read, "The server or network is slow to respond. To cancel your request, press Cancel Request." Thirty seconds pass before this message is even displayed. "This site can't be reached. webmail.windstream.net took too long to respond," is another error message typical of the service.

Repeated login attempts are sometimes required. When attempting to log in recently, I received this message: "There was an error while performing the login." When I attempted to login again, I received this message: "Your password has been entered incorrectly multiple times. In order to validate your account, please enter the letters or phrase you see in the image below." My password is saved to my computer; I don't enter it when I log in and, therefore, it doesn't change. There weren't any letters or phrase in the 'Please Complete The Captcha' box, only a checkbox with "I'm not a robot." The login still didn't work. I got the following message: "This page isn't working. webmail.windstream.net didn't send any data. ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE."

On my third attempt, the login finally worked. Since being forced to adopt Windstream Webmail I'm unable to send e-mail to people I've communicated with for over a decade. Others are unable to communicate with me by e-mail. When I contacted Windstream Executive Customer Relations in Charlotte, North Carolina, about problems with Windstream Webmail, I was advised to use another e-mail service. Windstream Webmail is so badly flawed even Windstream representatives are recommending alternatives. After I'd granted a Windstream Consumer Repair Center representative access to my computer to fix another problem Windstream created, I received an unprecedented flurry of suspicious e-mail messages (viz., messages with no subject, a short salutation, and a hyperlink). Is it only a coincidence?

I pay Windstream to provide service. Windstream is supposed to work for me, but it often seems as if I work for Windstream, spending hours of my time on the telephone to try to resolve problems Windstream created. Because the Windstream business model seems to view customers as a necessary inconvenience, I encourage others here to write their government agencies to report problems they've had with Windstream. Pressure from outside Windstream is what's needed to effect change that'll benefit customers.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Glenn. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you are experiencing problems with you e-mail since we have made changes in our e-mail service. I look forward to working through these issues with you. I have request additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: June 14, 2018

We have been with Windstream for about 20 years and in the last 5 years their internet and phone service is horrible. We have called numerous times about our internet being out and static on the phone line so bad at times you could not hear the other person talk. Yes they would send out a tech but never fixed the problem correct. We might get internet for a few days and it would drop again. The static on the phone continues but they turned off our internet without even telling us and they said the box needed to be replaced at the pole and we were too far away from it even though we have had the internet for approximately 13 years. They told us they would no longer provide internet to our address. Why can't they fix their equipment to work properly? I would not recommend Windstream to anyone, they sure don't care about their customers.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, T. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I would like to thank you for being a customer for 20 years. I would like to have the opportunity to improve your experience going forward. I have requested information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: June 12, 2018

We have been without service 4 days so far. My father is a cancer patient and recovering from multiple perforated colon surgeries. My primary mode of communication with my father's doctors, OT, PT, home health care etc...is via email. So when I have no internet it's serious. I have called several times and they said they have placed a medical escalation, as of yet, no service. This is the worst service I have ever had. We live in Branford, Florida. Any suggestions?

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Christina. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have been unable to use your service as you would like. I hope you provide me the opportunity to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: June 10, 2018

LaToya was able to get service scheduled the next day. The installer got the job done and we are up and running.

Original review: June 7, 2018

There has been nothing but issues with setting up new service with Windstream here in Texarkana, AR. We had a service order for this afternoon, 06/07/2018. However, yesterday we were contacted by Windstream that they needed info because they showed active service. Spoke with a rep and faxed our lease in. Called back and confirmed our apartment number. This was all yesterday and we were assured our install date would still be today 06/07/2018. This morning received a call that it was on hold because they showed active service for an apartment not ours. Called back and now our install date has been pushed back. To all it is best to go with Cable One even with the data limits. Windstream has been horrible thus far. The supervisor at Windstream was no help at all.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Venessa. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for allowing us to make this right for you. I am glad that services were installed promptly after our interaction. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

LaToya

Original review: June 4, 2018

Been with Windstream for over 20 years, since upgrading my 2 Mbps internet to a whopping 4 Mbps, had nothing but problems. “Upgraded” over 6 months ago, seem to be calling weekly, past two service calls, wife sat home all day waiting - no show, but ticket was closed, issue not resolved. Same issue today, tech closed ticket and never showed. Only reason I’m still with the company, beck no other option, someone should shut this company down, very poorly ran.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Adam. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand your frustration with your internet performance. I have received your information and will be reviewing your account for resolution of this issue.

LaToya

Original review: May 20, 2018

We have been a customer for over 30 years and have had internet since Windstream has offered it. For the past few years our phone has static that you are unable to stay on a call for a long period of time. Our internet is so bad that it feels like we have dial up as we watch the circle spin, take minutes to load programs and only one device can be on the internet at a time. I have called numerous times and Windstream has sent technicians to the house to say they will work on it but believe it is due to where the transformer is. We have been told the transformer will be updated, still nothing. Month after month I pay on time a costly bill for bad service.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Dana. Thank you for being a loyal customer. I apologize that you have not be able to use your services as needed. Please provide us the opportunity to resolve this issue. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: May 15, 2018

Was hesitant to order after reading the reviews regarding this company especially the local service in Elverson Pa. I cannot be more pleased, from the service rep to the installation professional, all was done perfectly. I highly recommend.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Tom. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for providing this positive feedback about you service and installation. If there is anything that we can help with please feel free to reach out to us.

LaToya

Original review: May 14, 2018

We moved to Blairsville, GA in June 2017. Set up phone service, internet service and TV with Windstream. Just found out we have NEVER had dial tone at our home. We used the land line for our security system only so now we know we have NEVER had monitoring on our security system EVER. Man how is that for confidence. We had a tech from Windstream come out and when he left he informed me we had dial tone but never stepped foot in our home. Went and purchased phone. Plugged in. Guess what - no line available. Call. Left messages. Finally got to talk to a person at Windstream. Now we have to wait from Monday till Thursday for someone to come out here AGAIN and take care of something we have been paying for for almost a year. How is that for a fantastic way to run a business?? Trying to find out if I have an alternative to Windstream in our area.

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Glenda. Thank you for your response. I am glad that the Blairsville, GA office was able to assist you with getting your services working properly and credit added for the outage period. If there is anything I can do to be of further assistance, please contact me directly.

-LaToya

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had internet when it was dial up. Company did a upgrade to broadband in my area. I was .02 mile from where the broadband wiring was and lazy crew would not let me have good internet service. I pay for high dollar slow dial-up again. Also Windstream could not keep my phone service going because telephone box was underwater. Between slow dial-up internet and phone service that is way behind the times for both I went to cellular phone service. Also while bundled Dish Services they changed me for a DISH DVR that was equipment owned by Dish not me. I should not have been changed for that equipment!!!

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, Ella Maria. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Ella, if upgrades are available in your area we want to make sure they are made available to. I have asked for additional information via PM. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We were promised "high speed" Internet. Once they were here to install, the technician informed us that in our neighborhood we can only get the slowest speed BUT they were working on getting a junction box and we would have the higher speed soon. He assured us what he was able to give us now would be plenty fast enough to stream Netflix and Hulu on the one device we have. It's been almost 2 months, countless calls with call center employees, 2 technicians, 4 modems and $200+ later and we still aren't able to use our wifi! It went from crappy service to what we have currently, which is NO service. This place is a waste of time & money. It's looks as though many others have made the same determination!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Kinsley. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your internet is not working properly. I would like the opportunity to resolve this issue so you are able to use service as you need. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: May 12, 2018

This company does not want to spend money to upgrade their service. They wait for other service providers to upgrade and then they piggyback. I have fiber within 1,500 hundred feet of my home yet they want to charge 10 thousand dollars to connect.

Windstream Internet response

Good Afternoon, James. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Windstream has invested greatly in improving our network to improve our overall customer experience. James, we would like to explore any options that will help your service. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: May 11, 2018

I've been with Windstream for my internet & phone system. The service has been getting worse and worse. Just recently I've lost my entire phone system and internet with them for 4 days! You can call the 1800 service line but they will just give you the runaround. They even claimed on the last day that they fixed all problems but my service was still out! I was losing business and costing thousands of dollars in operation alone! I was forced to reroute the numbers on my own by hiring a tech from another vendor. I am leaving Windstream and I advise others to do the same. This is not the first time and sure won't be the last. Every year this gets worse and worse. Run for the hills!

Windstream Internet response

Good Morning, Ken. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Ken, I apologize that your service issues have affected your business negatively. I would like to work with you to resolve these issues and improve your experience. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Windstream Internet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

• Best for: Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs