Windstream Internet

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We had Windstream when we lived in the county and it was ok. When we moved to town we got Windstream and it is terrible. We were in town and should have great service, but we have found out it doesn't work that way. All the old original equipment is in town (and they don't anticipate replacing or updating them) while the equipment in the county is new and works much better.

We started off paying 59.00 and that has now passed 80.00 per month. We are paying top dollar for the worse service they can provide. Only thing attached to this internet is one computer and Netflix, and both are constantly lost. I have had techs out here many times and they all have a different fix - but none of them have ever worked. I spend a lot of time offline. I don't need internet to be offline. BUT I am paying for "up to 3MB" but I think I am flying when I can actually get 2.

Windstream keeps sending all this junk mail about how great their service is and how wonderful their speeds are (up to 100MB). They should not be allowed to advertise what they can't produce. They like to make it my fault or my computer's fault when I get lousy service, but it's not me and it's not my computer. I take this computer to other places where they actually have service and it is great. Windstream needs to give it up or get it right. We are stuck with them because of their monopoly in our town. I will never recommend Windstream to anyone.

I live in a rural area and have for most of my life I have been trying to get a decent internet service here at my residence without resorting to dreaded satellite. For 10+ years Windstream has for some reason refuses to expand their service to my address, claiming I'm "too far away" from a central office or sub station. I have access to their phone service but not internet. I can drive 5 minutes in one direction and 10-15 minutes in the other and those people have access to it according to their availability map.

I may be in a rural area but my road and the surrounding roads have quite a few homes and my area would benefit from this kind of service. I just don't understand how they can claim that they provide internet to rural areas but yet my area is "too far away" to get internet but I can easily sign up for their phone services. They could easily expand, maybe use better technology, better lines or build a station close to me to have service reach my specific area. At the moment for personal reasons I can't afford to move right now to get something better. I believe there would be good in them expanding their service here. I've tried to call and even file a complaint to the FCC but yet nothing seems to work to try to get them to expand.

This has to be the worse company that I have ever dealt with. I have been with Windstream for over 15 years maybe 20... I have no choice but to use them. For 8 years they have been telling me my internet would improve. It has gotten worse. I have had 2 bright spots in the past 2 years. Supervisors have called me back after I gave them bad feedback... helped me, or I should say gave me hope, but those times were short lived. They know they have you, they have no competition. One of these days they will. Don't EVER use them if you have a choice. THE WORST. If a supervisor that has any kind of character reads this call me... HELP.

Changed to Directv and Windstream. Windstream supposed to connect June 13 same day as Directv so we wouldn't lose service. They didn't show... We called and they said June 23 then June 19 was the earliest. Husband has a pacemaker and can't do pacemaker check over a cell phone. We have no internet service and trying to close on a house with no email/printer etc... No landline for emergencies. How rude for senior citizens to be treated this way. Someone goofed but won't change the date for us. He has to wait for his pacemaker check. Hoping nothing happens to him in the meantime or a lawsuit will ensue... Very unprofessional of Windstream!!!

I had Windstream across town for years and it was shoddy, at best. I didn't think it was possible to be worse than it was there. When we moved, we were surprised that there are no other options for internet service providers. That. Is. Ridiculous. I'm so beyond dissatisfied with their service that there are no words to explain it. It is impossible to watch even a short two minute video. It is impossible to check email or Facebook or anything else. If I'm on my phone, I have to use the data on my phone plan to use the internet. There is no excuse for the amount we pay for Windstream to have these issues. In our area, I have yet to find one single person that is satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

THE WORST! If I want internet service where I live I'm stuck with Windstream. Probably an accurate name because they **! Signed up for 'only $40' a month. Had to use their modem which raised the price by $10. But with all the hidden fees, my monthly bill is over $80! PLUS. My internet connection constantly 'blips' and drops out. Seriously considering letting my service expire until I move at the beginning of next year.

WindStream does not verify with the account holder whose card is being used to pay bills. Took money out of my account and I did not authorize it nor am I on the account. And don't try to disconnect your service as you have to wait till you are at the end of your billing period. Guess they don't like to issue refunds. Been waiting for an online rep now for 24 minutes. One came on and then immediately left. Guess they think if you continue to hold you may actually end the chat. The worst service and the worst internet service ever and they do and don't let you know if you are about to be disconnected (sometimes yes and sometimes no). They need to be bought out!!!

Since becoming a customer in 2013, I have had consistent issues with internet speeds too slow to accommodate Netflix, YouTube, and my online class modules. Every year Windstream reports that they are improving their infrastructure and should be able to provide higher speeds the following year. At this time they only guarantee up to 3mbps. However, my speeds are dramatically less than 3mbps even when connected with only one device. Why am I paying for broadband speed but receiving dial-up speeds???

Windstream finally started offering cable internet in our area so we signed up. When the technicians showed up to our house, they started running cable lines in a VERY questionable manner. The lines were wrapping around the house, and the main line ran straight through our yard and across the street, IN the road, where cars were running it over all day. When they finished, the techs said "well the modem needs to update and we have to leave now because we have a busy day and we want to finish so that we can get home", and they left, WITHOUT even waiting to see if they set the lines up properly. Shortly after, I left to go to work. I came home later that night, and OF COURSE, the internet wasn't working.

I called customer service and they tested everything and said that the lines were probably set up wrong and they needed to send another tech out to fix it. They said it could take up to three weeks until another tech could come out. I DEMANDED that they sent a tech out the next day due to them screwing up the installation and the supervisor said that they were booked solid and that it wouldn't happen. Mind you, we had NO internet. This company should be banned from serving consumers with service. What a terrible company. They have no sense of dedication to their customers nor do they care about fixing an issue that they cause. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR SERVICES WITH THEM. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

My husband called to pay his previous bill with Windstream and to set up an installation date on 4/12/17. We told the rep we were calling to pay the bill but she stated she had "Good news", we didn't have to pay anything. The appointment was set for today between 8-2. I waited until 11:30 to speak with my husband on his break about an estimated time of arrival. He called to find out that we still had to pay the bill before installation. So they lied and wasted my time on waiting. I'm livid. Why would they do that and refuse to accept the payment when we called to pay the bill off.

I see all these bad comments and now I see why. I called and spoke with a supervisor about the issue he stated that he would investigate this situation but now the ball was in my court to get service and pay the bill. This is not a game to me. The issue isn't us paying the bill it is due to the lies the rep told us and wasted my time sitting waiting on someone that wasn't coming. Why was there an appointment made if the bill wasn't paid. The representative won that game.

This has got to be THE WORST company for customer satisfaction. I'm paying extra for faster internet connection speeds, and receiving a blistering 1MB speed!! Often, it's less than that. Nowhere on their web site does it indicate anything near this speed being offered. You see them promoting MUCH faster speeds, but delivering MUCH less than what is offered. I have made dozens of calls to customer service, and receive a condescending service reply that wants me to be EXCITED that they are giving me THAT MUCH speed. Look elsewhere if you want something that is with-the-times, speed wise. Windstream is stuck in the 80's technology-wise, and they refuse to upgrade, as long as they can keep collecting their fees.

I have been without phone service since April 20, 2017. I have continually called Windstream about the problem and all I get is a scripted response. They have an outage and no idea when it will be fixed. The customer service reps are absolutely unknowledgeable. The entire company should be shut down for their total lack of concern or respect for paying customers. And there are no local reps. In my area that you can call for help. It's all going through a central location. Poor, poor business practices... I don't recommend them to anyone who wants phone service that actually works...

When I first ordered Windstream it took them six weeks to contact me. Then once they contacted me we set up a schedule date to hook up service and they never showed up. Come to find out they lost my order. So I rescheduled. The tech never showed up. So my wife missed a day of work. We then rescheduled for the following week in the morning on a Tuesday. They never showed up again said the tech was at lunch and was behind, never got a phone call so I missed my afternoon doctors appointment which I have to schedule 2 months in advance. Now I have been out of internet for ten days and been on the phone with them every other day and come to find out they have me set up to fix it in July and we are in April. Nothing but a runaround.

After signing-up for service I received an email stating I needed to call to confirm services. They requested I fax them a copy of my Social Security card. I said absolutely not! I filed a complaint with the MN Attorney General's office.

Spoke with a WINDSTREAM rep yesterday about upgrading our service. We have had service with them for 8 years. I was never told nor did I give permission for them to run my credit. This morning I had notification from Equifax that WINDSTREAM had performed to HARD INQUIRIES against my credit. Because they are hard hits that affect your credit rating. I have spoken with 10 people at WINDSTREAM and numerous ones at EQUIFAX. Both say the other has to correct it. Well, be the consumer I AM UNABLE TO HAVE IT REMOVED because Equifax says it is a factual/real time check. They did say I had the option of filing a police report. The last person I spoke with from WINDSTREAM assured me she would get it resolved, that was over 3 hours ago and I have heard nothing. The Rep that I spoke with will not return my call to me... Something is really fishy here!

Signed up for my business. Never received a bill or a call about being past due. Disconnected my phone serviced for 2 days. When I called in to correct billing information, they would not let me without knowing prior bill amounts or account number which I couldn't provide since I never received them. On hold with them for over an hour and still no resolution. Terrible customer service!

This crew has really missed the boat on scheduling and service. No weekend hour or anything after 5. Sooo if you and your spouse work for a living good luck getting service. Furthermore, they are under the illusions that no one else can install their equipment. Hello. Would you like a list of companies who send you a router in a box with a cable and set of instructions that anyone can follow. Here is an idea. Sell your service tech’s time as needed and let the rest of us do what we do. Epic.

Our internet speed runs at .15-.25. It usually locks our computer up because it is so slow. I pay $65 /mo. for a service we can barely use. It's frustrating because they have a monopoly in our area with other providers so we have to suffer with a sub-par company that the government have money to so they could update their fiber optics. But as usual they fleeced the government.

My internet is down 4-5 week. I have to reset the router. They have been out several times. 1 person says it is fixed. The next person says that the signal is weak in to the house. If there was any other service in my area I would drop them like a bad habit. Windstream has the worst service and customer service in of any company that I have ever done business with.

I have ordered promotional price of $20 Month & $10 modem rental with $200 one time credit. Finally they said they will not honor that price since they did not order in to their system on-time (not sure why I need to care about their system). I do received confirmation email from them with above pricing details. I had chat with their customer support and they confirmed the pricing details. Then I agreed to install internet at my home, then technical team visited and installed. When I checked internet speed it was only 2MBPS (out of 50 MBPS), and they generated bill with credit of $100 (instead of $200 on-time) and monthly bill of $110 (instead of $30 (internet +model rental). What I don't understand is if they are not able to honor the price why they are keeping promotions (To make people as April fools?).

Our internet is down constantly with only recently getting 3mbps. It was off with a 10 day wait for service until 16th of March and down again on the 23 with another 8-day wait for someone to fix at hub. They are also charging us $75 for a rate that was guaranteed for life at $29.95 which I have the advertisement and management's email confirming the fixed price offer. They are an awful corrupt monopoly!

After my (multiple) bad experiences and reading the other bad reviews I would advise anyone looking to set up internet to look elsewhere. This company is crooked, money hungry and nothing less of a scam. I would've never messed with them again if it wasn't for the fact that it's our only option in this area. I'm praying Cox expands their service because if I have to make another phone call to Windstream to demand credit for service that has not even worked for a full 24 hours since the tech set it up a month ago, I will lose it! Save your time and patience by using another company. I wish I would've.

First of all, signing on was a sham. I was given a date for set up by DirecTV and lo and behold after allowing time to be home alerting schedules and tons of misdirected unanswered phone calls to their lousy customer service, I was told the appointment was inaccurate. Nothing available for 3 weeks!!! They come I wait from 10 am til 5 pm and the "Tech" shows at 430 pm! He sets up I now realize the easiest way with their "Best " router only to find it even when you are practically sitting in top of it, you have no Internet service especially when young to our second floor.

Now another million calls and no, they can't find my account, wrong name, even spelling, wrong email, no phone number, you name it. Multiple calls to one more ignorant, useless "representative" then the next and each even more obnoxious than me!!! And so nothing is resolved. The absolute worse! My father would say you get what you pay for!! TWC may be pricey but the service worked for the most part. I'll take New York Optimum ANYDAY!!!

Ordered internet from Windstream on January 30, 2017 and the initial order was totally hosed up. Once corrected I was given several dates for installation with March 3 as the last date. On March 2 I called in and asked for a time so I could have someone on site for the installation. I was told I would receive a call around 4:30 with an anticipated time. At 4:45 I called back since I had not heard from anyone and was told "Dispatch" had closed and I would have to call back in the morning at 8:30, but the service rep said the notes stated "an engineer was working on it" but confirmed my order was scheduled for March 3.

Shortly after she hung up I received an email from Windstream stating my order date had been moved to March 10. When I called in again to complain about the change I was told they didn't know they had a problem until the tech went out today to do "prep work." What a chicken shot operation! Apparently they don't have equipment records and have to go on site to determine equipment availability and then only check the day before. I wish I had other options, but there are none in this area.

When I waited for technician to come out he never showed, never called and when I called in no answer. He was to be at my home before lunch and I waited all day. Lost a days pay. No offer of an apology at least! My internet service is slow as molasses. Not to mention the prices are too high. I was informed they were my only option for high speed internet in my area. Not!

Made a appointment with them because my internet is so slow. So I was told I needed a new modem and that a tech need to come out to hook it up but no one needed to be home for this to be done. I got a call from the tech the next day and he said he was at my home but someone does have to be here. So they set it up for him to come back the next day between 9 PM to 5 PM. After taking off work and wasting a whole day's pay at 5 PM Windstream calls and says the tech can't make it and we will have to reschedule for the 21st which is two weeks away. But after telling them we need internet sooner than that they keep saying that is the soonest date available and would not let us speak to someone higher up.

So when we got off the phone nothing was solved. Well the next day without them telling us they send the tech out and he calls us to see if we were home. He was in our driveway. We told him no we are on vacation all weekend and that they told us it was going to be the 21st. So he told us to call Windstream. Well after staying on hold a hour and going back and forth with this lady she says there is nothing to be done. The appointment is still set for the 21. Windstream has the worst customer service out there and they know they have you because they are the only internet service in our area.

I am counting the days (and there are many) until my contract is over. When we signed up our two locations (one company) they "accidentally" opened 4 accounts. It took months to straighten out-and I feel I was overcharged. The rates keep going up and up and we have gotten COX internet because Windstream did not analyze correctly what we needed and sold us a sub-standard bill of goods. To add faster internet they wanted an additional $800+ dollars. Cox gave us what we needed for a little over $200.

When something isn't working you get to call and be transferred around. Sometimes I have been on the phone trying to get to the right dept. for up to 3 hours. Then they try to blame Allworx or AT&T for their inadequacies. AT&T proved that the lines coming into our building were clear and it was Windstream's static. The cost is way too high, almost as high as the frustration level if you sign up for service with Windstream. TRY ANYONE ELSE--they are the worst.

Our Attorney General requested customers of a couple other providers (I believe Verizon and TW) to run internet speed checks and report the results. We ran it just to see what we, as Windstream customers, were receiving. Paying for 3 Mbps and getting less than 1 you would think is unacceptable even for the company, but it is standard. So I call and ask about my results, they try to sell me a plan that guaranteed 1 Mbps but was more than the 3 Mbps I was already paying for. What do I get with my next bill -- AN INCREASE, because my bill hasn't increased in years (guess I was lucky for a little while). Besides the increase what I found out was that our area is in need of an upgrade for the system. So when do you think they told us that the upgrade was coming? NO PLANS. And what options do we have??? None unless we want to go to a satellite. Would I recommend Windstream to anyone -- NO.

I have been in the medical administration business for 30 years. I have never dealt with a worse vendor in my entire career. Support is not responsive and never seem to completely resolve our problems. We have been with Windstream over 3 years and the service and equipment and connection performance has never been what has been promised nor has support been responsive. The only reason I gave them a 1 star is because 0 stars is not available. My frustration is at 1000 stars.

I have been paying for Windstream's premium internet service for nearly a year and have yet to have continuous service. I have called and complained and they sent out service techs who are by far wonderful. They found a broken cable about a 1/2 mile from my house, eventually got it replaced (had to wait on the engineers) and now every time there is an outage or a problem in the hub, I end up having to get another router. I made a complaint to the GA Public Service Commissioner's Office (online) and it was a matter of days that Windstream Corporate Office was calling me, giving me the contact info of the lady who was overseeing the resolution of the issues. I have had one episode since that conversation and believe me, I still have her information. I have received numerous credits for the months that I have been receiving substandard service.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.
  • Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.
  • Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.
  • Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Best for Windstream is best for smaller businesses, rural consumers and those who prefer a local option with high-quality customer experience.

Compare Internet Service Providers