3.6/5 (484 ratings)

About Kinetic Internet by Windstream

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 100 Mbps. The company provides unlimited internet usage with no data caps or overage charges. There are also no long-term contracts, so customers aren’t locked into a commitment and can cancel anytime.

What is Windstream Internet?

Windstream is a high-speed broadband internet service provider that operates in some parts of the United States. It provides DSL internet, which connects through a phone line at a much faster rate than dial-up speeds.

The company’s offerings vary by state. One factor to note is that the internet speeds available to you also depend on your location. Some communities get speeds up to 1 Gbps, while other places may have much slower speeds. Because of this, pricing also varies widely by area. It’s essential to look at what Windstream provides in your city to know whether it’s the right choice for you.

Windstream Internet plans

The Windstream website offers three main internet plans: Kinetic 200, Kinetic 500 and Kinetic GIG. Depending on where you live, Windstream might offer bundle plans with TV and phone services at a discounted rate. Other possibilities that may be available in your area include Kinetic 25, 100 or 400, which are internet-only packages.

• Kinetic 200 offers up to 200 Mbps of high-speed internet. This plan is suitable for entertainment. Customers can download HD movies or shows, stream HD video on multiple devices or play multiplayer online games.
  • Kinetic 500 offers up to 500 Mbps speeds. This plan works best for heavy internet usage, particularly if there are multiple people in the house. It lets you download large media files and stream music and video on several devices at once.
  • Kinetic GIG provides speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is the best internet experience Windstream offers. The company recommends it for households using lots of smart home technology.

Windstream Internet prices

Windstream Internet prices typically range from $35 to $90 per month. The cost of Windstream's internet service varies based on the package you choose and your location. Contact a Windstream customer service agent to get pricing information for your specific location.

There are some other pricing factors to keep in mind. Often with internet service providers, your initial cost is a promotional cost and the price raises after the promotion period ends. It’s important to find out whether the price you’re paying is a regular or promotional offer. Windstream offers a discount for low-income households through the federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Windstream Internet FAQ

Where is Windstream Internet available?
Windstream Internet is available in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas
Is Windstream Internet DSL or cable?
Windstream offers DSL internet service. This type connects through your phone line instead of a cable.
Does Windstream Internet require a phone line?
No, Windstream Internet does not require an active phone service.
Does Windstream have a data cap?
No, there are no data caps with Windstream plans.

Is Windstream Internet good?

Whether Windstream internet is a good choice for you depends on one major factor: your location. There are vast differences in internet speeds based on your state and city. The best way to know whether Windstream internet is right for you is to find out precisely what is available in your location. There are some excellent things about Windstream, particularly the lack of data caps and contracts. So if the speed and the price in your location work for you, Windstream can be a worthy choice.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Absolute worst customer services I have ever experienced!! Had my internet disconnected due to an error on their end, that they do recognize was their fault. Yet they continue to toss me around and around for 2 entire days from customer service rep to customer service rep. Even after I would explain my situation each time I would get the same speech with absolutely no assist!! I was never allowed to speak with a supervisor either. Awful customer service. Still No internet 48 hours later! Currently shopping for a different internet company and would NEVER recommend Kinetic by Windstream to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Windstream increases their fees fairly regularly but they do not give you the internet speed that you are paying for. When you complain that you aren’t getting the speed you’re being charged for they’ll say that you live in an area that doesn’t have that speed & when you ask to then not be charged for it they say if you don’t pay for the faster speed you won’t even get the slower speed you have! This seems very fraudulent to me but what can I do? They literally have a monopoly in this area... No other internet providers are allowed in this area!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

They are very expensive compared to other providers near me. They told me when I signed up I would receive a $100 gift card after I signed up. I have not received the gift card after 2 months of waiting. Every time I call them about this issue they have a different story as to why I haven't received it yet. Now they are saying it will take up to 2 months to be mailed out after they resubmit my application. Issue #2, I am supposed to receive the EBB, I was approved and submitted my application to them twice and they say it will take up to 4 billing cycles to update it on my bill. Why?? My daughter submitted her application to a different internet provider and they had it on her bill within 24 hours.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Jennifer, I'm sorry you've been having trouble getting your issues resolved. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I can look into both of these matters. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

After reviewing my credit report recently, I found a Windstream Account that has been fraudulently opened using my name and social security number that is now delinquent and in collections and affecting my credit. I called Windstream on Monday, September 21, 2021 and spoke to Amanda (**) who was extremely pleasant and "filed a form" to "submit to the fraud department" for me; Amanda asked for a contact number for me and told me that I would hear back in 1-3 business days. It is 5 business days later and I have not heard from Windstream. Today, Monday, September 27, 2021, I contacted the company again and spoke with Amber (she would not provide her employee number for "security reasons"). She was not able to provide me any explanation for why I have not heard from anyone and again "submitted a request to the fraud department" and assured me that I would hear back this time.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Vanessa, in this case since someone has used your identity you would need to file a police report and dispute directly with the credit bureau. If you have any additional questions, please reach out directly to me at wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Plans offered are competitive with the market offerings in our area. Compared to my previous provider, upload and download speeds are better, however, speed does appear to be inconsistent at times. Not a deal breaker and would still continue to recommend Kinetic by Windstream, but I'd also let folks know about the inconsistencies that do occur.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Edward! Thank you so much for your rating and honest opinions regarding your service. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information if you need assistance with your service. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Literally the worst service ever!!! Their customer support is absolutely useless. We've had issues with our internet since Thursday and was told they'd overnight a new modem but the tracking says it won't arrive until Monday!! We called customer support and they were rude and couldn't even tell us why our internet wasn't working and said their techs are off on the weekends and that there's nothing they can do about it. We told them our baby relies on the wifi connect for his owlet to monitor his heart and breathing because he's had to be admitted to the ER before for not breathing in the middle of the night and my husband relies on it for work but all they said was "Sorry for the inconvenience, there's nothing we can do, you'll still have to wait until Monday..."

They didn't even care! We also can't easily replace the modem router because it requires a DSL connection which we can't find because they've stopped making them and we can't even get an adapter to convert Ethernet to DSL delivered until Monday when their modem replacement arrives!! This company is absolutely trash and I hate it!!!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Coral, I am so sorry to hear of your recent experience with us. Please reach out to wincanhelp@windstream.com if you need escalated assistance in the future. Thank you,

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

This company is clearly double dipping with EBB funding. I’ve contacted lifeline support and there is an investigation that has started due to their handling of people’s applications. I applied and got approved for EBB back in June, I called Windstream my provider and spoke to a customer service rep who told me to download the kinetic app and fill out the windstream EBB application. I filled out that application and was told it could take 3 billing cycles before it was approved.

3 months later I receive an email from a Kinetic service rep stating that my EBB application expired and I have to reapply. WELL OF COURSE it expired, they’re taking 3 months to get to your application, causing you to not be able to have your credit applied to your account. How is it our fault this company took 3 months to approve an application? Very ODD they make you wait 3 months, the same time it takes for your EBB application to expire. An abuse of funds claim has been filed with lifeline support against this company so I urge anyone who’s dealing with this FRAUD to call Lifeline and file an abuse of funds claim.

Then to make matters WORSE, I applied for LIFELINE, being that my EBB application was supposedly “expired” and got approved 09/02/21. I emailed the customer service rep back and gave her my Q code to apply to my account. She told me that I was expired again. HOW!?!? It doesn’t expire until November. This is literally not okay. This company needs to be investigated. People get approved and need this help.

I contacted corporate and explained my entire situation, they got back to the woman helping me and told her I’ve signed up with a different provider which is NOT TRUE. I live in the country and there’s no other provider for my area. LIES. They are doing everything in their power to not implement this help for people and it’s disgusting and this is ILLEGAL. We should not be forced to be played with like this. Once we are approved, stop playing games with people’s lives and GIVE THEM THEIR CREDIT. Disgusted with this company putting people already struggling through HELL. Anyone going through this I urge you to reach out to lifeline support and file an abuse of funds claim against this company. The more claims filed they will be forced to investigate this FRAUD. You don’t hear about any other company putting their customers through this. DISGUSTING

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Shel, I apologize that there has been a delay with your EBB credits. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information & your EBB approval from USAC. I'll escalate with management to see where we are with this and what exactly we need to move forward. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I will scream it from the rooftops HORRIBLE SERVICE. I've been without service since Saturday (it's now Thursday). The internet service constantly drops or completely goes out...Which has been a nightmare. I work from home. I've called service multiple times and you will hold for hours (and the line drops). You try to escalate through Chat, ask for a supervisor, even attempt to cancel and nothing. I've filed complaints at this point with the FCC and BBB. I wouldn't recommend this service to an enemy. The local store employees are incredibly nice, but service line employees are to understand language wise.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello. I am sorry to hear of your experience with us regarding your connection and reaching support for assistance. Please allow me to take a look if you still find necessary by emaililng your account informition to wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

During high usage times (which seems like ALL the TIME) my cell phone and PC act like Dial Up...I have contacted them so many times. Talked to people overseas and they don't get it. One told me I don't even HAVE WIFI. What? I have called and called to no avail. I am switching to Spectrum. I have been with them for a 1 year and a half. I HATE IT!!!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Denise! I certainly apologize this has been your internet experience with us. Please email me your account or telephone number to wincanhelp@windstream.com and I'll see what we can do to improve your connection. Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Company does not communicate professionally. My initial order for the service recorded my information incorrectly. I have called and corrected my information every month. Still received no billing information or final payment notification outside of threat to send my information to a collections agency.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Corbin! I've received and just sent a follow up email. Thanks!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Company Information