Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 500 Mbps. Windstream’s basic internet services are available nationwide, but it offers premium-speed internet services in 18 states.

Windstream Internet Compare Offers

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Windstream Internet Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2020

Absolutely disgustingly price gougingly low quality garbage ISP filth. If I could give this review 0 stars, I would. We pay for 3 Mbps and get 1 Mbps. There are 3 people living at my residence, and only one of us can use the internet at a time, and 0 of us can use it if our neighbors use it since they also unfortunately use Windstream.

Not only that, but the price gouging is beyond obvious and ridiculous; we pay around 80$/month for this trash. Windstream knows there is no ISP competition where we live, and they take full financial advantage of that. Impossible for me to mention them without thinking of or mentioning trash, because that's what you see a picture of when you look trash and garbage up in the dictionary.

They don't increase the quality of service, but they do increase the price. How is this legal? People need the internet, now more than ever with the advent of a FREAKING PANDEMIC, and they're going to continue being worse than a low tier ISP?! When will windstream wake up and change for the better by actually behaving like they have a shred of decency?

Original review: May 4, 2020

I pay for the most expensive speed from Windstream and it's so **! Every day it drops connection. I have to restart my router every day to try to make it reconnect. I've been suspended for 2 months from a game service because I kept losing connection! Streaming movies is slow as **, gaming is a laggy mess, the ping is all over the place. It's so unreliable it's driving me insane, but every month I have to keep paying for this ** service. I am no longer paying for this service till they fix my garbage internet!

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I am a high school graduate starting out on my own and chose Windstream due to their low prices to help. I was told it was $60 a month, and instead I have been getting bills between $70-$100 a month. 99% percent of the time when I try to call in to pay my bill your automatic system does NOT work and fails my payment every time. I try to avoid speaking to a representative due to a lack of help/understanding and issues that only seem to arise when on the phone with a representative. I had auto pay set up for a time and ended up calling Windstream to state my payment would be two days late due to a check mixup, and I wanted to make sure the payment wouldn’t be put through and overcharge my account.

After being assured the payment would not go through without the funds they proceeded to put me $80 overdrawn with my bank. Upon calling a representative to fix the issue I was instead told “we are not refunding your money, my supervisor will tell you the same thing.” When I said I would still like to speak with a supervisor due to them STILL pulling the money, I had to wait an hour and a half, before the phone was hung up without anyone saying a word to me. I only rate two stars due to internet not cutting out. As a starting college student it’s very difficult to get new internet without having to pay hundreds due to having no credit, but windstream has motivated me to save up for the best internet in my area to assure I can get done what I need for college. Don’t expect me as a customer for much longer windstream.

Original review: April 23, 2020

Out of 3+ months of service I had roughly 20 scattered days of useable internet. I cancelled service and they continued to charge me and sent me to collections. I disputed the claim and they just chose a different collection company. They “cant find” the call where I cancelled service even though they “record them for future use”. It's affecting my credit score, it has cost me work problems, home buying problems, and they will not fix it. Customer service has been terrible. They are trying to extort money from me for services I expressly denied and did not want. They are hands down the worst company I've ever had an experience with.

Windstream Internet response

HI Ryan. Im so sorry to hear that we were unable to get this resolved. I'm happy to take a look to see what we can do to settle this dispute. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com or private message here. Thanks, Maggie

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 14, 2020

Updated on 04/28/2020: Wrote a review about Windstream, and since then, my internet has been going in and out. The lady "Maggie" that comments on every review, has YET to contact me, even though I gave my information the same day she commented. The technician that I had to call for, is currently working on something outside, but I do not have high expectations that anything will be better. How many times does this company have to be sued or file bankruptcy before they are made to produce what they claim?

Original: Windstream has the absolute worst internet ever. We pay $69 a month for 25mbps speed, and get like 7-8 instead. Their website claims to offer higher speeds, but when you call, they claim we live 1 mile too far for the better speeds, which is utter bs. I would gladly pay more money for better service, but they cannot provide that. Sadly, they are our only choice for internet where we live. This business has been ripping off customers for years and getting away with it and it needs to be stopped.

Windstream Internet response

HI Katy. I'm sorry your service is not suitable for your needs. I'd like to take a look to see what we can do to improve your service to ensure everything is working properly. Please email me or private message with your account information for additional assistance. Thank you, Maggie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream Internet?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 6, 2020

Windstream Internet access in Dawsonville, GA is very unreliable. They are apparently only able to stay in business because there are no other alternatives here. Every day, there are multiple downtimes. They do not have an online method for reporting problems, so the only way to do that is to call and wait on hold for long periods of time. Hopefully, one day people will wake up and elect some public service commissioners who will hold companies accountable.

Windstream Internet response

HI Joseph! I'm sorry that you've been having issues with your services. My name is Maggie and I manage web based reviews for Windstream, I'd like to help. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information, or send a private message for further assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: April 5, 2020

I am surprised that Windstream is still in business (what's interesting is how many other people wonder that as well!). Our home internet has frequent periods of slow response time at various times throughout the day. The amount of my monthly bill is constantly changing, too. Sometimes, it's $117, and the next month, it'll be $118, then $122. What is that about? We don't watch movies or a lot of videos, we don't have a lot of devices connected to our internet and we don't purchase any extra services. Sounds a little fishy to me. If I am paying for decent internet speeds, then that is what we should get. Windstream is the ONLY provider in our area, so there is no motivation for them to improve to keep their customers. You know how that works! You're just stuck with 'em.

Windstream Internet response

Hi Robert. I am really sorry that the services have not been meeting your expectations. I can totally take a look at your account to make sure that you're receiving the best possible speed and rate for your plan. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com or private message me her with your account information so I can assist. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: April 3, 2020

Reported slow service for over 2 weeks. Kept saying it was fixed. The technician kept saying he came to fix it when no one showed up. Last day a technician came out to "fix it", now it's running even slower. Just put in for a new service and will be canceling soon. Don't waste your money. The WORSE service I've ever had.

Windstream Internet response

Hello Patti. I'm really sorry that you've been having ongoing issues with your services. I'd like to get with the local team and see what can be done to help get this resolved. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com or send a private message here with your account information. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: March 29, 2020

Ever since getting Windstream (Hobbs, NM) two years ago the internet has constantly dropped. We get an average of 3 Mbps or less (shouldn't even be paying $60 for such horrible speeds). Customer support is no help. We've called for them to check out the problem, nobody ever showed up but claim they did (we were all home). I contacted them and was told to wait for a call from another department or so, but nobody reached out.

Windstream Internet response
    Hello! I'm so sorry to hear that you've not had the best experience thus far with Windstream. My name is Maggie and I manage web based reviews. I'd like to see what I can do to help you out here. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account inforamtion for additional assistance.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I’ve been a Windstream subscriber for 14 years mainly because they have the monopoly of service here in New Mexico. In the beginning, I had 3 megs but almost daily the speeds would drop to half a meg or nothing. Restarting the modem or resets wouldn’t help and I repeatedly had to call Windstream tech support which often solve the problem for five minutes. After many visits from Windstream techs, a fellow checked the signal coming into the interface box and discovered static. He went up the road and connected be to a different line. Windstream had already by way of apology, upgraded me to 6 megs which didn’t affect the signal drops. After the tech switched my connection I suddenly had a steady 6 megs. However, it didn’t last long.

For the last couple of years, my internet signal drops 3 or 4 times a day altogether for 10 minutes an at time up to 45 minutes. It seems to happen around the same times for several days and then the “schedule” shifts. Irritating as my T. V. Watching is entirely streaming. I also do much work via computer and I-net. Windstream keeps on giving the same lame excuses which are echoed by many others on sites like this. Windstream has recently filed for bankruptcy and was absorbed by Kinetic. If they don’t get their act together, the new partnership will go down the tubes as well. I don’t like to rant but I’m extremely disappointed, frustrated, and powerless against the Windstream monopoly!

Windstream Internet response

Hi Roger. I apologize that you have had the best experience with us. I'd like to look into this more and see if anything can be done to improve your services and ensure you're receiving the best service and rate. Please private message me or email at wincanhelp@windstream.com your account info so I can assist further. Thank you, Maggie

Windstream Internet author review by ConsumerAffairs

As one of the most popular of the mid-sized ISPs, Windstream ranks among the top 10 largest ISPs in the nation. It is especially well-known throughout the Midwestern and southern states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky and Texas.

• Customer service: This is one company that consistently receives positive reviews for its devotion to keeping customers happy and exceeding expectations.

• Steady expansion: For the past several years, Windstream has been acquiring smaller ISPs and enlarging its coverage area.

• Standard speeds: Like Earthlink, this is a mid-sized ISP that can provide a good quality of service for standard Internet usage.

• Social presence: In addition to normal customer support channels like phone, email and chat, Windstream maintains active communities on Facebook and Twitter.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team