3.8/5 (481 ratings)

About Kinetic Internet by Windstream

Windstream is an internet service provider with speeds up to 100 Mbps. The company provides unlimited internet usage with no data caps or overage charges. There are also no long-term contracts, so customers aren’t locked into a commitment and can cancel anytime.

What is Windstream Internet?

Windstream is a high-speed broadband internet service provider that operates in some parts of the United States. It provides DSL internet, which connects through a phone line at a much faster rate than dial-up speeds.

The company’s offerings vary by state. One factor to note is that the internet speeds available to you also depend on your location. Some communities get speeds up to 1 Gbps, while other places may have much slower speeds. Because of this, pricing also varies widely by area. It’s essential to look at what Windstream provides in your city to know whether it’s the right choice for you.

Windstream Internet plans

The Windstream website offers three main internet plans: Kinetic 200, Kinetic 500 and Kinetic GIG. Depending on where you live, Windstream might offer bundle plans with TV and phone services at a discounted rate. Other possibilities that may be available in your area include Kinetic 25, 100 or 400, which are internet-only packages.

• Kinetic 200 offers up to 200 Mbps of high-speed internet. This plan is suitable for entertainment. Customers can download HD movies or shows, stream HD video on multiple devices or play multiplayer online games.
  • Kinetic 500 offers up to 500 Mbps speeds. This plan works best for heavy internet usage, particularly if there are multiple people in the house. It lets you download large media files and stream music and video on several devices at once.
  • Kinetic GIG provides speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is the best internet experience Windstream offers. The company recommends it for households using lots of smart home technology.

Windstream Internet prices

Windstream Internet prices typically range from $35 to $90 per month. The cost of Windstream's internet service varies based on the package you choose and your location. Contact a Windstream customer service agent to get pricing information for your specific location.

There are some other pricing factors to keep in mind. Often with internet service providers, your initial cost is a promotional cost and the price raises after the promotion period ends. It’s important to find out whether the price you’re paying is a regular or promotional offer. Windstream offers a discount for low-income households through the federal Lifeline Assistance Program.

Windstream Internet FAQ

Where is Windstream Internet available?
Windstream Internet is available in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • Texas
Is Windstream Internet DSL or cable?
Windstream offers DSL internet service. This type connects through your phone line instead of a cable.
Does Windstream Internet require a phone line?
No, Windstream Internet does not require an active phone service.
Does Windstream have a data cap?
No, there are no data caps with Windstream plans.

Is Windstream Internet good?

Whether Windstream internet is a good choice for you depends on one major factor: your location. There are vast differences in internet speeds based on your state and city. The best way to know whether Windstream internet is right for you is to find out precisely what is available in your location. There are some excellent things about Windstream, particularly the lack of data caps and contracts. So if the speed and the price in your location work for you, Windstream can be a worthy choice.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kinetic Internet by Windstream?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I am extremely satisfied with my Internet and phone service. I have been with Windstream for almost a year now. I did not think I would ever get reliable service in the area I am located. It is 20 miles off the beaten path in Deep East Texas, besides the service being out during major power outage events, IE Hurricanes, I have not had any issues. I stream Netflix and Amazon without issue, and do not have any problems with speed or latency. My ONLY concern right now is that they will not sign up new customers in my neighborhood. I am an Internet engineer, so I know a thing or two about service.

They keep rejecting to sign up new service in my division, and the reason they are giving is that the area is to far out to service. I am in the back of the neighborhood so I not it is not an equipment limitation, as I said my service is great. The distribution equipment is at the front of the neighborhood. I worry about when they will decide to pull the plug on the entire area. That being said, I signed up as soon as I was aware it was available, so if there or no other providers in your area and they come to town my recommendation would be to sign up early.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

They have been very helpful to me, from start to finish so far. It looks good already... That's all I have to really say for now.. Just giving it a try got a long way to go.. Glad I found them. I have no more to say...

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I have had nothing but problems with Windstream. I had no Internet and it took them over a month to get my internet up. I recently tried to upgrade to their fiber. They could not give me a time window. Just sometime during the day (when I have work). When the tech finally showed up and called me (which he said he had a time window so I don't know why the person on the phone could not access that time window) he said the box was not active and could not hook up anything. Techs came the next day (another day I had to miss work) and hooked up everything. Went to turn on the fiber and found out that there is an issue with the data center in my area. They do not have something set up correct (the automated text I got said they may require the "construction of additional facilities").

Other people in the area have been waiting over a month for Windstream to fix this problem. Why would a company say they offer a service, to only not make it actually available to customers and cause their customers more headache. I plan to switch ISP because this is unacceptable. This is how they treat 18+ year customers. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I recently moved and I was going to sign up with this company. I started to and they got my name, address and my card info and suddenly lost the phone convection. I tried calling back but they have my number so I waited for them to get back with me. Next thing I knew my card was used to buy games. When I tried again because I really needed internet, they wanted be to jump through hoops to get it. I found out my old internet company was in the area and I bought from them. Do not use this company. They have thieves working for them.

Original review: May 18, 2021

My home phone has not worked correctly in a week. You can't hear the person speaking on the other end and they cannot hear you. Have had repair techs out several times to no avail. The last one switched out my newer modem for an older one and now the internet is not working either! I am an older, disabled person and I need my home phone service and internet to keep up with my appointments. Their answer has me literally waiting at home until it's convenient for them to get here! No concern at all. It can take days to get repair and then it usually gets pushed further out than originally planned. I am looking for another company with better service.

Original review: May 18, 2021

This company should be fined by the FCC for incompetence and lack of customer service. I set up internet a month ago and was given an installation date two weeks out. I patiently waited got a text confirming appointment waited all day no call no text nothing so I call and they said, "Sorry you already had service." I confirmed that I did not and found the installers went to the wrong address but did not give me a courtesy of a phone call. I call back and they said, "Sorry but we can’t come out until two weeks." The next day the installation crew shows up next door and installs my neighbor. I ask about mine and he says, "Not on my list." The very next day he showed up at my other neighbors house and again tells me, "Sorry not on my list." I again wait my two weeks. I get a confirmation text. He will show up between 8 and 10 today and guess what. No crew! I call again and now they tell me the best they can do is tomorrow maybe!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Charles, I am so saddened to hear this has been your experience with us. Please send me a direct email with your order information so I can help make this right. My email is wincanhelp@windstream.com. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: May 1, 2021

I set up my appointment to have my internet connected by Windstream a couple weeks in advance. It was set for a Saturday as I work Monday through Friday. The morning of the appointment I received a text stating the installer would be there between 8:15 and 10:15. I tracked the installer on their provided tracking app that kept saying that he would be here in 1 min...then said he was working on it... Nobody ever showed up at my house. I waited until 11am and called customer service line and was told he came out here and did not have enough fiber optic line so had to order it! Nor could he bother to inform me so that I would not continue to sit here and wait!! Now this is a new construction subdivision, homes are pre-wired, and apparently Windstream installs in all the homes... He didn't know he would need Fibre optic line to install?!! Sorry I don't buy it.

Then I was informed I could not get another Saturday appointment by a rather rude Customer Service representative named Avery. Her rudeness and sarcasm ranks up there with some of the best. I finally hung up... Tried another Windstream number, they routed my back to Avery... I hung up. Now sitting here trying to figure out what to do... I would rather do without than use Windstream at this point. I have no illusion that customer service with this company could be anything but the worst!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Mary. I certainly apologize to hear about your experience thus far with us. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your order information so I can escalate this and provide resolution. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: April 2, 2021

Horrible service down here in Southern NM. They refused to cancel payments for my property months after I had moved out and repeatedly asked them to. Customer service reps are rude and unwilling to help. So basically they attempted to rob me until I brought my bank in to handle this issue (scam IMO). Avoid this sad excuse for a service provider at all costs!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Antonio, I'm sorry that this has been your experience with us. I'd like to ensure that this has been completely resolved. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your former account info, and I'll be in touch.

Thank you!

Maggie

Original review: March 22, 2021

Tried to get my internet installed today, and took off work. The technician comes and says, "We do not provide to your area." I asked him why the gentleman I spoke to on the phone said, "We do service your area." Guy was dumbfounded. Stay away from these clowns. If the installation process is this unorganized, God forbid you have any technical issues.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello! I can confirm availability with the local manager. Please email me with your address at wincanhelp@windstream.com for assistance! Thanks,

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I was having problem with my Windstream internet. Called customer service and the rep said that I had many line breaks and I would have to have a service technician come out scheduled for Saturday, waited ALL day. Finally I called and was told they were out on Thursday. LIE. No one was here on Thursday. No apologies for wasting my day. The phone rep said that she would assist me. She become belittling and rude. I am still suffering from inferior and sporadic internet that I am paying too much for and not receiving the service promised. I wish I had another choice but I don't.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hi Celia! I hate to hear this has been your experience! Please send me an email at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account info and I will be in touch to help resolve! Thanks,

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Half the time I get a speed of 6, promised 25mps, but ended up with 12mps. They misrepresent their service. Sadly we pay a fortune for the worst service. There are few options where we live, I was told they need to upgrade our area to get 25 mps, the person told me they will not spend the money.

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Susan! I'm sorry about the issues you've experienced with your network speed. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I can see what else can be done to resolve this. Thanks, Maggie

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Windstream is not a good internet provider at all! The service is really bad and yet they make you pay for full service anyway. We canceled our service but they won't prorate the bill so we need to pay for a full month even though we only used it 10 days. My advice: Avoid Windstream if at all possible!

Kinetic Internet by Windstream response

Hello Kelly! I'm sorry to hear of your latest experience with Windstream. My name is Maggie and I'd like to help work this out. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your former account assistance. Thank you,

Kinetic Internet by Windstream Company Information