2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5
Based on 1,462 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

PROS

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

CONS

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rental Property bundled for us, saving some money!

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over the years… Claims are handled well and quickly.

State Farm Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I just had to write this review! I live in Phenix City Alabama, and got a call from a Agent name Leah **, who only first called to give me a quote. She was amazing: 10's all across! So professional, including the other staff that was also there. I only wanted Car insurance, but by the way she helped me, changed my life. I now have car coverage, renters insurance, and life insurance. She had me definitely! I was interested in everything she said. Great conversation, amazing energy. I am so happy I came into the office, because I was offered more options than what I came in for. I don't feel that nothing is a scam. It's legit. I'm happy for that. I can sleep at night and don't have to stress about issues I now pay monthly for lol (if you get what I mean).. God bless you, I'm happy you called.. Thank you Leah. And that handsome Jason ** with that Jeep I OH SOOOO WANT LOL... SEE YOU GUYS????

Original review: July 28, 2020

I've appreciated the discount program Drive Safe & Save and the application that goes with it. The software provides accurate account of my driving showing where I could use improvement in my safe driving. I was disappointed the quote to bundle my motorcycle with my car wasn't beating my motorcycle coverage with Progressive. I haven't tried bundling my car with my Progressive bike policy but I may do that in the future unless State Farm gets more competitive with motorcycle rates. Other than that issue I'm very pleased with my State Farm representative and the great customer service he provides.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been with State Farm for 14 years. I am very satisfied with my overall insurance plan. My auto, home, & condo are all insured with State Farm. My rates are among the lowest. I qualify for every discount that State Farm offers. I have never had a homeowner's claim. Hopefully, I never will. I have had 1 auto claim when I was involved in a collision with a deer. The damage was minimal and State Farm responded beautifully. My agent here in Auburn, Alabama is the top rated agent in this area. I am really satisfied with my State Farm agent Kathy **. My hard work of maintaining my credit and being a safe driver has paid off.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I was checking my options for car insurance and I got a call from State Farm from a guy named Christian and I have never in my life had anyone worked so hard for me! If everyone that works at State Farm is as good at their job as Christian is then it has to be the most amazing company on the planet. I absolutely love this company! P.S. If Christian's boss is reading this that man deserves a raise and you should always do everything you can to keep him. He makes your company look good, I have complete trust in State Farm because of Christian!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

They offer more than just vehicle insurance, but roadside assistance is a plus, I haven't had to use this in a little while, let me tell you I have looked my keys in the car so many times, twice in one day also, had tires changed or aired up, jump starts, you name it. I have never had a pay out of pocket when I call them to get me help. If I am alone on the side of road they stayed on the phone until helped arrived, the tow truck was going be to long. The gal had called the sheriff's department. I kinda freaked when I seen the blue lights, I said, "Great now this on this dark road I have flashing lights," the gal said, "Calm down, I called the dept, you're out there all alone." Bless her heart. Health and accident hospital, hospital income, life insurance. All a plus when you have children. In Melanie's State Farm office all the gals are helpful great. I have not had a issue with not one claim!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

This is the worst insurance company EVER! I would never be a customer of State Farm. Their claims dept. works as a team of over 300 and a supervisor clearly told me they do not use pictures or a police report to make decisions on their investigations of an accident. So where is the "investigation", I ask? They take the word of their insured always to base their decision and then place partial blame on the person hit (20%)! Seriously? The poor insured doesn't even know their own insurance company isn't paying out their claim in full. So what happens? To court....I go!! What a joke company! Way too many commercials to pay for, I guess. Don't let that stupid Jake fool you!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

State Farm is a horrible insurance company. My dads car was hit while he was stopped at a red light, and he went through his insurance company for repair of his vehicle, because the guilty persons insurance was not responding so he figured he would let state farm legal team deal with them. State farm insurance company has given my father SO MUCH PUSH BACK, and has made me want to cry for him, state farm REFUSED TO PAY FOR A SUPPLEMENT CLAIM SUBMITTED BY dad autoshop AUTOBODY SHOP, it was a tug of war getting them to pay for a supplemental claim, his car has been in the shop since Sept 22, 2020 waiting for state farm to decide what they are going to do.

He has had a rental since sept 22, 2020, state farm said they are only paying 1000 dollars per my fathers policy max for a rental, he went to return my the rental car yesterday 11/6/2020 and state farm said the amount that has accrued after that 1000 they paid is my fathers responsibility (1,211.91 is what my father owes, and my father has fullll coverage with your company). They were not willing to meet us in the middle, all the representatives and managers I spoke with told me us no one told my father return the car when he feels like it.

Today is 11/6/2020, state farm came back Monday to 11/2/2020 to state my fathers car is a total loss. The managers told me it's my father's fault for keeping the rental. I told them he cannot afford to pay that, the rental company will not let my father return the car without payments. I asked state farm to meet me in the middle with the payment they have refused. Like a good neighbor state farm is not there for its customers, my dad is left paying 1211.91 out of pocket for a decision state farm was on the fence about.

This is unjust and truly unfair and then for them to tell my father sorry there is nothing they can do for him, knowing I called state farm pretending to want a quote and ask them this question and they stated the claims department has the authority to extend to whom they want when it comes to negotiating the amount they will pay for a rental despite what is stated in the policy is ludicrous. This is my dads insurance company. I will make my dads voice heard about the tug of war with this company, when you entrust big corporations it shows they really do not care about you and just want your money.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

If You Have State Farm Please Stay Away! When you have a claim, deal with this company is a nightmare they will do anything not to pay!!! I truly wish I could give them zero stars.

Part number (1). State Farm is the worst. Having been a loyal customer For a long years with several policies!!! I thought I was in good hands but this is a trash company to deal with! I made my first claim On February year 2020. I had a cracked windshield On the highway on my BMW. These companies don’t cover original parts And they don’t even cover good quality parts They cover the cheapest!!! Original windshield almost 1900. Good quality aftermarket almost 900. They cover not even 400. They cover the very cheapest one!!

Part number two (2). On October I had a claim on my wheels the originals wheels from BMW almost 900 each one without the tires. And remember State Farm don’t cover original parts. They did everything they could not to pay for it. not even the Aftermarket wheels! They told me that they were not going to pay because the car comes with 18 inch wheels. My car had 19 inch wheels. Those were the wheels they came with the car when I bought it and I told him that those wheels were in my car already when I purchased my policy and like I said this company is a nightmare to deal with. They only care about our money paying you policy every month????

Part number three (3). On the same month someone hit my rear bumper on shopping center parking lot. I was in the store. They didn’t leave a note. Nobody saw anything. I claimed that through my insurance. I Went to three different people and they told me that I needed to change my bumper because it was cracked. When I called the claim people they told me they cannot replace the bumper because the car had an accident before and the bumper wasn’t fixed properly And like I said before they will do anything not to pay For a cover that I was paying for???? They call the shop where I had my car fix and they told them they were only approving to fix the bumper that if you wanted to replace the bumper I needed to pay out of my pocket????

Please please stay away from this company. This company is a nightmare to deal with!! Worse insurance COMPANY EVER. RUN FROM STATE FARM. I will not be using, NOR will I recommend State Farm to anyone I know!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I was involved in a minor accident and filed a claim with State Farm (my insurance) as the driver at fault's insurance (USAA) refused to pay. State Farm was at first helpful but I should have known that would turn out to be a joke on me. The initial person to whom I gave a statement told me that State Farm found me “not at fault” of the accident. I then spoke with my personal agent, Emma **, who confirmed that my rates would not increase just because I filed a claim. However, they did say that the claim would be turned over to a third party “to try to get your deductible back” because I did have to pay the deductible for repairs out of pocket.

Several months later, my husband and I received a bill with a $55/month increase. I called my State Farm office and spoke with Courtney ** who told me (after several months of no communication or attempts to contact me) that the third party deemed me at fault and thus the rate increase. When I was initially told the claim would go to a third party, I was NOT told they could change the decision of who was at fault; I was told it was going to a third party simply to attempt to collect my deductible.

The State Farm office (Emma **) has been less than helpful and only redirected me to a 1-800 claims number, who then told me I could take the case to small claims court. Overall, I am really disappointed with their service (so much for being a good neighbor) and wouldn’t recommend them. The only reason I have not cancelled as of yet is because I now have points on my license thanks to them and am terrified of even more outlandish rates from other companies.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Do yourself and your family a huge favor, and DO NOT use State Farm for any type of insurance that you may need. Having State Farm coverage is similar to paying a monthly rate to really just be UNINSURED. Their slogan is a complete joke. They will fight with you for YEARS when you need help, and low ball the value of your life, pain and suffering, long term pain and suffering and medical treatment in any way possible. I have been a State Farm customer for over a decade, have a completely clean driving record and have never needed ANYTHING from them. My entire family has also used this company the entire length of time that they have been driving as well, and they have never needed help either… LUCKILY.

Apparently to their adjusters, breaking your neck, multiple bones in your pelvis, and severe nerve and disc damage throughout your spine, is not considered severe injuries, but they will gladly cover the cost of your HOSPITAL STAY. Why pay into an insurance plan with a company that literally does NOT care about you or your future? They will do any and everything to delay your claim; lose medical records, make insulting offers, ask for an extension on their response time frame – FOR YEARS, and still hit you with an insultingly low offer for your quality of life and medical care/needs, while you try and make it by on a daily basis.

If we are required by law to carry insurance to drive a vehicle, insurance companies should be required by law to help their customers when they need it. This company is a disgrace. If you have a policy with this company, start looking elsewhere before it is too late and you need them, because they won’t be there like a “good neighbor”.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information