Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
State Farm Auto Insurance
3.89/5
Based on 2,724 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

3526 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have had State Farm Insurance for many (30) years, and I have always enjoyed the personal attention I get when I need to add or change insurance, or if I have a claim. Recently, I was on a trip, and was eating at a restaurant with family, and when I came out of the restaurant, my van had been severely damaged by a hit and run driver. We assume it was a drunk driver. When I called my State Farm agent, they were happy to hear that I was not injured, and then they were ready to work on the damaged van. From the first call, to the completed repairs, was TWO WEEKS! I am talking about some serious repairs were completed in TWO WEEKS.

State Farm has many Preferred Provider shops, that do estimates, and repairs for them. They are trusted, and certified shops, and that means it cuts through the usual delays, and gets the repairs done quickly. State Farm, paid exactly what they said they would, quickly, and clearly. My agent called to be sure everything was to my satisfaction, and the repairs look great. This is how insurance is supposed to work. I can't say enough good about State Farm.

My agent said that they are in the check writing business. I said "What?" He said, "If we don't write checks, then we aren't helping people when they need help." Now that is my kind of agent, and my kind of insurance company. I don't shop around for a cheaper company. Insurance is supposed to give you coverage so you can sleep at night, and have help when you really need it. I get that with State Farm.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I see all these negative claims against State Farm. So I thought I'd write a positive one. We've had a couple of claims in the past 5 years and both were handled to our complete satisfaction. Neither was our fault, but our state is a "no fault" status. The first incident was a young lady texting who ran a red light and broadsided my wife in our newest vehicle. Thank God, no injury to my wife but an expensive fix to the vehicle. And there was a witness. The second incident was unusual. We live in a condo and the snowplow driver never came so the slush built up and then froze. When my wife came home from work, she helplessly tried to stop in the driveway and slid right into the garage door. Both claims were handled very well. They have always been fair to us. The only reason I can't fully give 5 stars is because rates on older vehicles keep raising a bit every few months.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was rear-ended by a motorist that had either no or very bad insurance and had to use my policy to get my car repaired. State Farm called me promptly on Thanksgiving weekend to tell me what steps to take and assign a file number. The person I spoke to could not have been nicer or more helpful. The car was repaired but had to be taken back for further repair and State Farm provided me with a rent car so I could make Christmas in Dallas area with my family. I had no problems.

I have been with State Farm for over 50 years - homeowners and automobile coverage and will never change. I have never had bad service or slow service. I had a home claim on water damage and was paid on the spot when agent came out to look at damage. I really do not understand the bad reviews as I have had claims from Texas to Arkansas over the years and not one complaint could I find. I feel very safe and well taken care of by the considerate and helpful agents I have dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had my car broken into. They smashed a window and stole a travel bag I foolishly left in my car while shopping at what I was to learn by the responding police officer is a notoriously dangerous parking lot that the owners refuse to install security cameras in. State Farm's response was good. I had an appointment to repair the smashed window within 2 days. Although after filing the initial claim I was still unsure of who I needed to work with. That was not made clear to me by my local State Farm agent so there were a few unneeded back and forth attempts that I feel could have been avoided if my local agent had just told me to deal with their claims office. Also I didn't realize that even with full coverage on my car's policy only the comprehensive part applies to the replacement and or repairs to the car. No content coverage although my homeowner's policy would have covered the contents after the deductible.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have been with State Farm Insurance for over 30 years. I was with them when I learned to drive, and have been with them ever since. I have had multiple cars, and then renters insurance, 2 homes, and never have I had a problem with them. I've had a total of 2 agents. I have lived in 2 different states which is the reason for the 2 agents, and both were/are the most helpful people. State Farm goes above and beyond to do a yearly review with you on your policy to see if you need more or less coverage based on your situation. Driving more/less, having more items/less. It's a wonderful service. It's nice calling a company and them actually knowing who you are. I've unfortunately had to file a few claims, and they actually want to know how you are. Great feeling. Great people. Great company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Summary: Still trying to resolve a fender bender claim. Four months after the incident. State Farm has been uncooperative and unresponsive. Details: Rear ended by a State Farm insured on Apr 27, 2019 while refueling my car. My car was turned off. Husband was pumping gas. I was in the front passenger seat. The other party did not want to report the incident to police. I insisted. Police arrived and wrote an incident report. State Farm insured was solely at fault. After weeks of no action by State Farm, I filed with my insurance company and had the repair done.

As of today, the claim is in subrogation. State Farm does not want to reimburse USAA for the full amount. I fronted the cost of a rental car (not covered by my policy) and filed directly with State Farm for that expense. State Farm reduced the payment by 85% without any explanation for the reduction. They also included correspondence informing me that I could take the car to the place of my choice for repair or call them for recommendations for a repair place even though they knew the claim was in subrogation, which makes no sense. As of today, I have been informed that USAA is taking State Farm to arbitration which will take several months. I doubt that I will ever receive rental car reimbursement —I am, therefore, out $741.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I moved from GEICO to State Farm. Initially, I talked with a representative, feel like good service. He explain each detail item. But State Farm has a bad system, it lets you choose a specific agent. I got a poor one, she looks like no energy. Very often, office nobody picks up phone. Even talked with her, she did not do as we say. If you have question about billing, she no good answer. Also, made several big mistakes to my insured cars, I have to call and email again and again. Transfer to other agent. Generally, Service is poor in State Farm.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I got into a wreck and had to file a claim through State Farm. It’s still ongoing and has been way over 45 days. I’m paying for a totaled car that I can’t even drive. They have lacked to give me any or more knowledge about the ongoing claim and have still neglected to do so, and having no car is affecting my daily life now. It’s hard to have to work as a full active duty military member and have to walk halfway across base to get groceries only about a backpack full to try and last you maybe a week or 2. I do not recommend State Farm to anyone looking for a “reliable” insurance company.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My vehicle was damaged in an accident. I contacted the claims adjuster and was given a list of places approved by State Farm to repair my vehicle. Once I spoke with the person at the dealership that was supposed to do the repairs to my vehicle I noticed that the details of the accident were incorrect so I called the claims adjuster and informed him that the information on the claim was incorrect. The claims adjuster assured me that I wouldn’t have any trouble getting my vehicle repaired. Well today I was contacted and informed that State Farm would not authorize the repairs to my vehicle because the adjuster didn’t believe that my vehicle was damaged due to the accident and I would have to pick up my vehicle and return the rental vehicle provided to me.

I contacted the police department and got the incident report and you can clearly see from the incident report that my vehicle was struck in the area where the damage was indicated. I was told that I would have to pick up my vehicle and have another place inspect my vehicle to state that the damage was caused during the accident and I would be responsible for paying for it out of pocket. I have never filed an insurance claim since I have been insured with State Farm or any other insurance company. I viewed State Farm as a reputable company and had faith that they would handle my claim in a professional manner but I was disappointed in the way that the adjuster handled my claim. I see now why insurance companies get a bad name.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I recently switched my policy since I got a new car and traded in the old. I called in and they changed everything and said was a 6 dollar increase a month. I said ok not a big deal. I just got my bill and I understand I have a rate change since it was mid month but after this bill I'm paying out more monthly than what I was told. I might start looking. This isn't the first time this happened.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become ranked No. 41 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance for a myriad of auto emergencies, such as running out of gas or oil, getting a flat tire or locking their keys in their car.

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car during repairs are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, such as classic car insurance and even antique car insurance for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky