Call toll free*
Based on 389 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 19, 2018

3030 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

Customer service is horrible. Was involved in an auto accident, the other party had State Farm. Their customer service called me to schedule my rental pick up, the person on the line wanted to argue and go back and forth when I asked him to schedule the rental that was miles from the body shop. He literally called me and wanted me to do his job and tell him which rental, so I told him, "You called me and are clearly looking at the rentals so pick one." While I was talking he started over talking me saying I don’t know the area after giving me 3 rental places and I already picked one. Anyway he hung up on me when I asked for a supervisor since he wanted to argue about the place I picked.

I called back and it was no record of the call or that anyone called me, they also told me they can’t talk to me since I have an attorney handling my claim. So now I’m confused. Why would you call me to schedule a rental, I’m not discussing my claim just which rental service I’m using. Long story short I get to the rental place and guess who I have to speak with? State Farm, I immediately say, "I thought you can’t speak with me," they say, "No we have no record of saying that and we have to speak with you in order to finalize the rental." Full of playing games and giving people headaches, can’t imagine if they were my insurance carrier it would be complete foolery trying to get correct information from them.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Their insured slammed into my right front wheel and they fixed the damage without replacing the wheel bearing, including replacing the smashed up fender and hubcap. When I got the car back it made a clicking noise that quickly turned into a failed right front wheel bearing. They refuse to fix the wheel bearing, saying "those can go out at any time". The manager on duty told me, "Take it in, pay for a rental for 5-6 days while you wait for us to inspect and deny your new claim, then go ahead and sue us or just pay for it yourself and wait for them to do the work." He wins, I can't afford to take the time off work to take him to court, my lost wages will cost as much as the repair. I will never buy State Farm Insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I pay a premium insurance rate for full coverage, but when it comes time for State Farm to live up to its obligation they refused to fix my because the parts broken may have had wear and tear from driving the car. Absolute **, stay away from State Farm.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We are not State Farm Insurance carriers. However, a women insured by State Farm drove into the back of our RV on October 16, 2017. We decided to go through her insurance. Everything started out smooth, then the problems started. State Farm paid the repair garage in full for repairs, and then never communicated with us that repairs are not going to be completed as the garage had not even received parts until we ask for a rental, which is $1500/week. That is when State Farm decided it was important to put pressure on the repair garage, as the RV was promised to be completed on March 1, 2018. I start tracking progress of the garage to see why things are not be completed. I call every two days, because State Farm is not communicating with us on progress. We notify State Farm that starting April 1, we will be renting an RV until ours is repaired at $1500/week.

When the garage continues to have difficulty getting parts State Farm says all rentals after April 1, will need to go through the garage. I end up having to get legal guidance and find out they cannot require us to go through the garage as we do not have a claim with the garage. State Farm must cover rentals then go after third-party for reimbursement.

Finally they decide to total the RV. It goes downhill further at this point. We talk to five different people within a few days, because you have to talk to whoever answered the phone and we get a different answer every time we talk to someone. Then we are told they are not going to pay off because the total goes above her liability limits. I am very upset at this point and when I voice my frustration of not have this settled within six months I am told I am being unreasonable in demanding a rental until paid in full. After getting additional legal guidance and submitting a formal letter, we finally get their attention and they started responding a whole lot faster. It was six months of fighting and I have their customer service is horrible! I will NEVER carry State Farm Insurance as I would never want anyone to be treated like this. We finally got our money and are moving on. But State Farm wasted a lot of money and a lot of my personal time along the way.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Absolutely horrible experience with State Farm Auto and Renter's Insurance after hitting an animal causing a flat tire… While I was waiting for a tow overnight, the car was vandalized and contents taken from the inside. It was bad enough the tow took several hours to arrive even after going home and coming back… I was forced to have it towed to an unfamiliar collision shop where it has taken four days to even get someone to let me know when they will take a look at the damage.

I’ve been without my car for four days and there is a great possibility it could be over two weeks! After contacting claims department, the representative for the theft of items from the car was so rude and told me without receipts for the items, they would not be covered! One of the things missing was a computer for my autistic son. After 10+ years with State Farm, it’s time for the entire family and business to move insurance elsewhere. It takes just one incident to show what kind of insurance you really have and I am so disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: April 17, 2018

As of today, I have been without my vehicle for 1 month. Using my roadside assistance, the tow truck that State Farm dispatched to assist me bent my tire rod on my Mercedes, damaged all 4 of my tires, and has left me with a repair bill of $1995. It took me 3 times to get them to agree to cover the damages. Now they will only pay $192.71 towards the damages. I am furious! I also filed a claim with the Bureau of Insurance. They want you to pay your premium but will not cover damages that they are liable for.

Original review: April 13, 2018

While sleeping, my neighbors' car was hit and slammed into mine. State Farm has been my carrier for 18 years. I have never had to file a claim, unfortunately that meant I didn't know the shoddy coverage they were charging me top dollar for. I had to pay my deductible (which had been switched from 250.00. I originally started with to $500) (again, shame on me). Then they want to put aftermarket, like, kind and quality parts on my car. OEM refurbished. When I disputed that, they said my car was not new since I drove it off the lot and I needed to take it to one of their service centers. I refused. Took it to a reputable body shop and paid 1732.00 to get my car fixed properly. They were paying .30 cents on the dollar for my parts. I paid the difference to get my car fixed. They were supposed to collect my deductible for the claim.

I followed up 3 times in 6 months, and got nothing but excuses, "Oh we sent the paperwork to the wrong place," then, "Haven't heard back yet, no new information." Last week I got a letter stating that they were unable to collect so they were turning it over to the lawyer, and to let them know if I want them to collect my deductible for me. Um...YES!!! My neighbors, whose car was hit, and who hasn't even been driving for 18 years, paid nothing, ZERO dollars out of their pocket to get their car fixed. Imagine my disgust. I was told the agent can use funds from their office to satisfy policyholders in this situation and my agent didn't bother.

They found their coverage to be sufficient for me, and encouraged me to allow them to fix my vehicle in the manner they saw fit. ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have switched to a top rated insurance company and will never again use State Farm Insurance for anything. They used to be a reputable company, something has changed, drastically and buyer beware... They do not cover OEM parts, they do not collect on your behalf and they most certainly DO NOT CARE.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The driver of a vehicle insured by State Farm ran a red light and totaled my car. The company has the police report and the statements of three witnesses, all confirming the other vehicle ran the light. The driver was also cited for failing to stop. State Farm, however, remains unwilling to accept liability because they "have been unable to speak to the driver of the other car" to get her statement. That was 9 days ago. State Farm told me they have up to 30 days to make contact. Their "suggestion" is that I file a claim with my insurance company, and that company will have to try and recover their costs from State Farm. This is a typical tactic that allows State Farm to avoid having to do any of the work associated with the claim. It also means that I have to pay the deductibles, which I don't know if I'll ever recover. "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" is joke! A "good neighbor" extends himself to help and accepts responsibility, rather than stonewalling.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My vehicle was involved in an accident. We were not at fault. The at fault party had a State Farm policy. State Farm declared my vehicle a total loss. They arranged to pick up the vehicle and I signed over the title. I was then informed the payment would be sent with my name AND the name of their insured on the check. Their insured refused to assist with me cashing the check so I do not have payment for the vehicle I signed over to them and they refuse to issue the payment in my name only. The accident was in February and they cleave my car and I do not have payment.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I was hit by one of their clients 3 weeks ago, although some of this is the client's fault for not communicating with SF, they are doing nothing to get in contact with her. One person said they got my pictures of the accident, the other one said no. One said it would take up to 7-10 days to get the police report, as it does cost money ($7). Call back 7 days later, now I am informed that it would take 30-40 days to have the police report. I am told they will do nothing about this.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My wife had an accident a few months ago. She was in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. State Farm deemed it a no fault so both parties pay their deductible. The driver of vehicle 1 normally at fault on a PD report is at fault. The officer in the report evidence support driver 1 moving into drivers 2 (my wife's lane). Facts my wife was getting off to the right in a mile. No reason to move into left lane. Driver 1 was the overtaking vehicle #2 and stated to the Insurance company she saw my wife moving left into her lane? For one my wife has a new VW. Has accident avoidance and lane awareness, makes it hard to switch lanes into someone and no reason for her to switch lanes.

Driver #1 also stated she speeded up to avoid an accident. Not slow down or move over into the left lane which was an emergency lane. That represents not being aware of your surroundings and negligence. Also we had physical evidence of #2 my wife's mirror being bent out and #1's mirror being bent into showing she was in forward movement passing my wife. Plus she stated to my wife not to call the police that could handle it without the PD. PD report shows my wife was the 911 caller. State Farm denied the claim finding the other driver at fault because of lack of evidence and the closing statement was the Officer said both parties had conflicting stories???

As an Ex Officer I feel since it was 10 degrees the officer did not look at the physical evidence until I pointed some things out via phone call. Also the officer should of asked #1 driver why she didn't slow down or change lanes to avoid an accident. So with all the facts and evidence State Farm denied placing fault and the fact we're both State Farm customers. Funny thing is originally my agent spoke with State Farm and told me we were getting a check.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have been with State Farm for 25 years with a perfect driving record and only a couple of comprehensive claims. My rates are always increasing with no explanation. My wife hit a deer a couple of weeks ago in our 2013 VW Golf, owned since new, causing about $1800 damage. The deer ruined a fender and smashed one of the headlight assemblies. The body shop pointed out that a new headlight assembly would not match the other one, so they would try to find a used one. I had no problem with this.

Well, it turned out the used ones were no good, so the body shop recommended to State Farm they replace both units. They flat refused. I spent a ton of time on the phone with my agent (terrible customer service, never called back, etc) and the claim adjuster, telling them the car was not being returned to pre accident condition and it would be obvious the car had been wrecked. They basically told me to pound sand. My body shop said they were not surprised, as State Farm is known for doing this type of thing. I am now switching carriers, as once I called around, I have also been paying WAY more than every single quote I have received for the same coverage with other, much higher rated companies. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CROOKS!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I went to go get something out of my mom's car. While the door was open and my leg was out of State Farm driver hit the driver's door and dented in the door bending the hinges. The so smart agent at State Farm told my mother to download an app and upload pictures when in fact you cannot upload any pictures or videos. You have to actually take it live but her car was already in the shop. Now they're giving me a whole bunch of problems with making the claim. If we have already paid for the damage why is it a problem for us to get reimbursed? Why does no agent that works at State Farm know what is going on? Everyone tells you something different!! PS stay away from State Farm and the drivers they cover.

Original review: April 4, 2018

State Farm of Orchard Park - On April 4 I received a letter from the DMV informing me that my 3 auto insurance policies had been canceled. I immediately phoned the office only to have an abrupt conversation with an agent named Maria informing me that we were canceled due to claims review. I asked her why I had not received any phone calls and she replied, “We called your husband twice”. I said well this is a emergent situation, why would she not then also attempt to call me, as I am also listed on the policy? She replied... "Mam... I called Chris twice, it’s not my responsibility and I didn’t have your phone number “. Which is untrue as the company has called my individual cell multiple times to Solicit my business for other potential policies with them.

She was crass, unprofessional and unsympathetic to the situation and the financial burden this oversight has caused me and my family. It will cost us over 1000$ to fix this and we have no idea where this will come from as we struggle just to make ends meet week to week. This representative was arrogant, condescending and crass. She should not be working in customer service let alone as a manager. I am disgusted with the treatment I received from this company and want others to know what they are dealing with before they purchase their policies.

Worst experience ever and now we are left uninsured with 1000$ debt to pay to the DMV. Just in case you are thinking we are not reputable... this has never happened to us before... we do not make a habit out of not paying our insurance. This was an honest oversight and could have been easily corrected if this company was as ambitious about informing us of our cancellation as they were about soliciting us for other policies with them. The worst part about this situation was not only that it simply occurred but the appalling manner in which we were treated after the incident. I will never recommend this company to anyone. What a nightmare. No idea what we are going to do.

Original review: April 4, 2018

State Farm raises my rates on a monthly basis practically... I started paying 100 a month and somehow with no accidents on record I end up paying 165.00 for my tiny car... They are a major ripoff... I don't see any benefit with using State Farm and I have the simplest plan!!! Ripoff!!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am writing this review on a claim adjuster by the name of Brenda **. This adjuster is not a customer service type person. Place to claim on March 12th with her. Issues with the claim to get ahold of her to find out what the status of the claim. I don't lie and everything. Made 9 phone calls to her. Two different claim adjusters that left message for her to call. Never heard from her again since March 12th when I first talked to her. Had to finally get a gentleman by the name of Ian to come all the way from Yuma to do the claim and got it done in one day.

Original review: March 31, 2018

The reason for sharing this review is to let consumers be warned that State Farm Auto Ins. is not the good neighbor they advertise to be. After being with State Farm Auto Ins. for 54 years and now had a claim, I advise you to pick another Ins. Company before you have to go through what I did. To start off with you cannot count on your agent to give you the support you will need to battle the rude claims people.

On Jan. 30 2018 my wife was in our 2013 Toyota Camry that we purchased new. She was on the highway 100 miles from home. She was arriving at her exit and was about to shift into the exit lane when a dump truck hauling a load of huge stones suddenly pulled in front of her car and a huge stone fell from the truck almost landing on the hood of car. No time for my wife to apply brakes or anything. Fortunately the stone did not hit the car but instead the stone went underneath the car doing damage to radiator mounts, motor mounts, engine cradle and also struck the transmission. The transmission oil pan was crushed and a large hole ripped in it losing all the transmission fluid.

My wife called our State Farm agent and the process began. The nearest repair shop was a Toyota dealership a short distance from the damaged car. The dump truck did not stop. We guess maybe the driver did not know what happened. After my wife talked with agent's staff and claims person it was agreed that the car would be towed to the Toyota dealership for repairs. Up till then the process was going okay. When the claims adjuster came to the shop to examine the damage to the car and discussed the repairs with mechanic the adjuster was told by the mechanic that the transmission took the hardest blow and that the transmission should be checked because all the fluid had run out and the fluid pan was crushed.

The adjuster told the mechanic, "For now let's just try putting a new pan on and adding fluid back to transmission." So State Farm had the shop to replace and repair the other damage and put a new oil pan on transmission. My Camry had 42,000 miles on it. After a couple of weeks the Toyota shop called me to come and pick my car up. My wife and I drove the 100 miles back to the shop and picked my car up. The service mgr. explained to me that the only thing done to the transmission was a new pan was put on it and that I would need to drive it awhile to make sure it was okay. He also said that the State Farm adjuster knew this and had it on report that any damage to transmission would have to be determined after driving the car some.

I drove my car from the shop and a few miles away the transmission slipped just before I got on the expressway. I continued to drive the 100 miles back home and on the highway I had no more problems. When I was close to home and exited the expressway the transmission started slipping again. I called the Toyota shop and told them and was told to bring the car back. I called my SF agent and told them what was going on. I also asked the agency if they could tow my car the 100 miles back to shop. She said maybe that she would check and get back to me next day. That night a State Farm claims specialist called me by phone and told me if I take my car back to the shop and they examined the transmission and if the problem was not related to the stone hitting it that I would have to pay the bills that State Farm would not be responsible.

I tried to tell this claims specialist that was supposed to be on their record of claim that damage to transmission would have to be determined. This person would not listen to me repeating I would be responsible for payment. His attitude really upset me and when I contested his attitude he hung up on me and I lost sleep all night. The next morning I got in the Camry and my wife got in our other car and she followed me the 100 miles back to the Toyota shop and we dropped the car off and drove the 100 miles back home. Every time I tried to talk with my SF agent he would not be in and I would have to talk with staff and staff wanted me to call claims that it was really out of their hands?? I just could not get my agent to go to bat for me.

After another couple of weeks without my Camry the service mgr. from Toyota shop calls me and tells me that State Farm purchased a recycled transmission from a salvage yard for my Toyota Camry but he said he was not going to install this transmission in my car because it had 147,000 miles on it. Now that was just great, my original transmission just had 42,000 miles on it. Can you imagine how sorry that was for State Farm to do a customer that way, not to mention I was a 54 year State Farm customer.

I immediately called my State Farm agent and explained to her about State Farm wanting to put this 147,000 mile transmission in my new Camry. On top of that State Farm paid $490.00 for this wore out transmission and was going to be perfectly happy to have it put in my car??? It was at this point my State Farm agent reminded me that this Toyota shop was a State Farm Select choice shop and that this service manager threw State Farm under the bus by telling me that SF was going to put this wore out transmission on my car. I told my agent the service mgr. did not throw State Farm under the bus, but he kept State Farm from throwing me the customer under the bus!!!

Now my agent decided we together will call the claims dept. Of course I had to deal with claims while agent listened on phone. I told the claims specialist about this dirty deal State Farm was trying to pull on me and I asked him why didn't State Farm either fix my original transmission or put me a new transmission in? He said they could not put a new one in because that would be putting one in that was better than original??? So I said to him, so State Farm would be acting in good faith to put transmission in with 147,000 miles on it and my original had only 42,000.

As our conversation went the claims specialist hung up the phone in both our faces the agent on the line and me. My agent was not pleased at all that he hung up on us and she said she did call in to have the person reprimanded. Now more time has gone by and the Toyota shop calls me and tells me State Farm has purchased another transmission from the same salvage yard and this one is supposed to have 38,000 miles on it at a cost of $900.00. This transmission was installed and the shop called me to come pick my Camry up so it is now 3/22/2018 almost 2 months dealing and arguing with State Farm.

My wife drives me back the 100 miles to shop. I take my Camry and head home. Drove real nice on expressway, still in the city and get backed up in traffic bumper to bumper now every time I stop I feel my car vibrating. My rear end is vibrating, my back is vibrating, the steering wheel is vibrating, my brake pedal is vibrating. Wow I am really displeased. Every red light I stop at I have to feel this vibration. I get home and call the Toyota shop and then I call my agent.

Next morning I get in the Camry, my wife gets in the other car and again we drive the 100 miles back to the shop. My car stays at the shop another 7 days and the shop calls me and says they have checked things out and what they suggest is for me to drive the Camry a couple thousand miles and see if the computer on the car maybe straightens things out. I told service mgr. I don't think that is going to happen that all that is a bunch of bull. He persuades me to try it. I call my agent again and she wants to call the claims specialist again and talk with them.

When the specialist gets on the phone the agent introduced us asked me to tell the claims specialist what's going on. First thing I did was to ask the specialist to look at my claim and tell me where we are at at this point. His answer to me was that this claims case was closed. I asked him how my case could be closed and my car has not been fixed??? I go over this vibrating experience with him after this other recycled transmission was installed and explain to him about the shop recommending me to drive the car awhile and see if the problem works out. So the claim specialist says he will keep the case open for one month and if the shop send in another estimate for problem they will take care of it.

So far I have put several hundred miles on the Camry and it still vibrates. I know overall these several weeks I have left some details out but they would be negative details of discussions with State Farm people. Consumers be aware. You cannot trust State Farm. Again I repeat I have been with State Farm Ins. for 54 years. They are nothing like they use to be and since I have been through this I have talked with a lot of people that also had to drop State Farm because they are only nice and good as long as you don't have a claim.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Jenn ** and Emily are very unprofessional. I called to get a break down of my auto insurance because I wanted to know why it was canceled so early and why was my monthly payment up to $336 to reinstate my policy. I became a customer on January 29th of 2018 and I put a down payment of $126 down for 2000 Honda Accord that mean my payment wasn’t due again until February 29th. I added my 2005 Ford focus on in February 25th of 2018 and paid my $84 upfront. I transferred my 2000 Honda accord to my 2004 Chevy Cavalier on March 5th. Now they are saying I’m 30 days past due and didn’t prorate the amount and cancelled my policy.

I tried calling and my calls was screened and they sent me to voicemail. The office closes at 5 pm and I called at 4:45 pm to make my payment of $336 and they screened my calls and send me to the 1800 number... They are not concerned neither do they value their customers. They don’t care and they tell lies on every single call. I will be searching for another auto insurance company. State Farm is not a good company to do get insurance with. They are reasonable but only for the first bill after that you will have unknown charges and cancellation. BEWARE.

Original review: March 26, 2018

State Farm has always been easy to work with. I have used them for 25 years now and have never had a problem or a concern. I have always appreciated the customer service. Don't know if the value is awesome but the experience has always been so good I have never felt the urge to shop other companies. Went to the shop of my choice. All payments were handled between insurance and the shop.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was extremely disappointed in the entire claim process and I switched insurance carriers afterwards. The commercials do not truly represent how long the process takes. The claim process is slow and cumbersome. Moreover, the final outcome was less than expected.

Original review: March 23, 2018

You don't deal with your agent, who can get to know you, you deal with an automated system and then whoever you get, you get. You never talk to the same person and are not always told the same thing. Better customer service and better use of agents is needed. Having all staff on the same page is good -- we were told 3 completely different things regarding our claim.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My vehicle was struck while parked by a driver with State Farm insurance. It was a brand new Audi (3 weeks old). State Farm would only pay for recycled parts for a BRAND NEW vehicle. According to a supervisor, it is their policy that if they can find a used part that's all they will pay for. This is completely unacceptable to replace used parts on a new vehicle. Another friend of mine cancelled her policy with State Farm after they did the same thing to her on a new Mercedes. Avoid this company!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have been with State Farm for 40 years for both home and auto. The ease of claim process and policy changes is remarkable. I just phoned the 1-800 number, received a claim number and a list of authorized auto body shop that is on the preferred list. No estimates were needed. My agent is always friendly and readily available. If I use the after hours claims service, my agent will call me the next business day to see if he can assist.

Original review: March 21, 2018

My all around experience sucked. Each time I called in to customer service I was given different info about my account and payment dates... I had reps and supervisors look at my 02/13/2018 and then later 03/21/2018 and none of my info was the same. All of my payment history was erased. They claim that the phone calls may be recorded but they are not because I asked them and that is done cover up their mistakes. I will not do business with them again and don't ever sign up for auto bill pay with State Farm... I cant explain how many different stories I got from the State Farm agents... NEVER GET MY BUSINESS AGAIN!!!!

I called customer complaint line. That woman had an attitude with me, probably a ** woman. I asked to speak to her supervisor, she said, "I'll have them call you." I know it's big cover up and they do too... I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person having these issues... I had a rep tell me my agent was in my account while we was on the phone and later that night all my history was erased and I have been with State Farm over a year or so... Nobody wants to admit they are wrong and busted... Thanks State Farm. Really means a lot.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We have been with State Farm Auto Insurance for a long time and the carrier has responded quickly to our most recent claim and personally when we have had questions. Claims process worked efficiently but it took a long time to get our check.

Original review: March 20, 2018

They have high premium but low coverage. Full coverage did not meet other companies that offer more for less out of pocket expense. Also they totaled out my son's car when it was just a little fender bender.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I loved State Farm, for past 23 years, till this accident claim that was not my fault. They took wonderful care of my home when wind storm took 1/3 my roof off and 2 months later a torrential rain storm knocked out power and flooded my finished basement in 2009. (Those are only claims I have ever had on 24 years of home owners policy. Both unavoidable.) But this fall, the service with my auto accident where I was hit and run by some dummy in the most ridiculous and nonsensical manner, made me realize how bad customer service has become. The cops got her and she admitted what she did, but my insurance has to still pay my medical bills.

I've been paying for 50,000 of PIP coverage for 24 years with NO CLAIMS till now with State Farm. (The legal minimum is 4500.) They told me wrong info about who would pay my medical bills, then they made it a hassle to get help to finish my yard clean up for fall that I could not do because of injuries I sustained. Then they told me I only had 2000 of PIP, then when a lawyer for my health insurance told me I had to have at least 4500. I called them again and they told me, "Oh Yeah, you have 4500." Then my physical therapist was the one who told me I have 50,000 of PIP coverage. I called State Farm again after checking my policy and they said, "Oh, yeah, you have 50,000 in coverage."

This has been my worst experience ever and my first auto claim in 24 years (with exception of rock chips and a replacement windshield 18 years into my coverage). Their customer service has gone downhill BAD since 2009. :( And the new agent they assigned me 3 years ago when my original agent retired is not very good. I don't feel comfortable with her. She is not knowledgeable and I don't feel any trust with her like I did with my original agent.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been with State Farm insurance since I started driving in 1982 and have not had a ticket in 25 years. My dissatisfaction started several years ago when I received a notice that State Farm is no longer offering homeowner insurance in Florida. I, of course, had to find another company to insure my home. A few months after obtaining new insurance I was informed that State Farm changed their mind and is continuing to offer homeowners insurance in Florida. When I tried to re-obtain homeowners insurance with them, they told me they were not taking new customers. In 2016 I backed out of my garage and into a guests car that I forgot was there and in 2017 my wife bumped the car in front of her at a stop light when it turned green, not even hard enough to scratch her white bumper. Now State Farm is canceling us under their Mutual company but they graciously offered to insure us for the low price of $5200 per year, three times our previous rate.

Unfortunately, I have been a loyal customer over the years even when cheaper rates were out there and I have used them for previous and current auto loans. I will never recommend them again and will be moving my loans to another company. Like a bad neighbor, State Farm will turn on you in a second or run away when you need them.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been a customer of State Farm for over 7 years now. I got into a accident where I was crossing a intersection. This lady turns right from the crossing street and turns into my lane. I jump the median concrete to keep from hitting her and she swipes my rear passenger side quarter panel. We both ended up being State Farm customers. Called and put in an accident claim. They investigate and find us both at fault. So now my insurance is up first time 30 bucks but now they raise it every 6 months.

Also got into a accident backing out of a parking space at Walmart. Lady came around the corner sees me backing up and decides to stop right behind me. I tap her driver's side bumper (tap). Call State Farm to report the accident. She reported damages on the passenger side of her car that the headlight came off lol. Meanwhile no damages to my bumper except paint stuff. State Farm pays her and I get another insurance hike. I was paying 100 a month. Now I'm paying 222.

Original review: March 15, 2018

As stated by most I was with State Farm for many years, 0 Points on my driver records (as this today). I left State Farm then came back. Was quoted a reasonable rate. 6 months later my rates, go up. They claim the cause of the accident, yet before I left 1 year ago they knew it because I was on State Farm when it happened 3 years ago and it since fallen off. So they raise my rate about 120 dollars a month. In August I had a tire blow so now they sent me a renewal for 2200 for 6 months. I speak to the agent Derrick ** in Gwinnett County with his emotional behind was the rudest person I ever talk to. So if an accident has fallen off and my rate was this 1360 then my rate should go down right. No. He tells me it's because of a tire blow out which only cause damage to my car and was way less than what you'll pay for that.

I finally got someone in the main office my info. It still worked Even Ms. Derrick ** knew the crap he was coming out with these outright increased were foolish. His excuse, "Everybody is going up", but excuse ain't this what we pay these thousands dollar a month/year for. It is all good but as soon as we use their service oh it's a problem now. Mr. EMotional Derrick **, after I said I was going to the head, HE sashays that Big old of his head around and said, "I DON'T CARE". I say, "Oh ok. I'm going to tell them said too." He flung that head around, "I DON'T CARE."

I was just done. Call the main office. Got someone who claims he was calculating in both amounts but a few days no one knows where the convo go. I sick of the State Farm. They full of **. They trying to make us pay for the loss. Mr emotional Derrick of course call me back state, "Oh it shouldn't have to go like this." I just hung. I'm already sending out my letters to who really need to see it. And that Smith new agent him and his staff ain't no better. NEVER GOOO TO STATE FARM INSURANCE.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky