3.8/5 (611 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rent...

Verified

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over t...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Every time I've requested assistance, my State Farm agent never hesitates and always efficient without wasting any time, be it auto, or home insurance. Filing claims or making payments has always been a breeze. Questions are always explained to make sure I'm not confused and I appreciate that so much.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

State Farm has excellent rates. You can get discounts for multi- car, safe driving etc. Whenever I have had a claim they paid promptly and my rates did not increase. I have been insured with State Farm for about 20 years. I have gotten quotes from other auto insures and the rates were higher with less coverage.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Have been a State Farm client for over 40 years and have had a number of claims both for auto and home. They have handled all efficiently and professionally and without raising my rates because of it. Plus my agent treats me with respect and is proactive in saving me money. VERY happy.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Notifications for price increases & when renewals are due are severely lacking in my experience with previous agent in Dallas, Texas. After being a loyal customer for many years I did not receive a timely renewal notice & was penalized by not being renewed & starting as a new inexperienced policy holder with significant increase in rating for my car despite still having home insurance with State Farm!

Original review: July 1, 2021

I utilized the mobile app for roadside assistance for the second time on 6/29/2021 both for flat tires. Both times I have had a fantastic experience. The app is user friendly and easy to navigate. Both times I had service to my vehicle and back on the road in less than 45 min from the time I logged into the app. Both times the service people were wonderful, friendly and fast. I definitely will continue to use this service.

Original review: June 10, 2022

My experience with State Farm is negative. I obtained a quote for auto and homeowners insurance. The coverage was good and affordable so I went ahead with binding. After paying for the auto in full, they inform me that there is a $250 inspection required to bind the homeowners. They did not inform me of this prior, nor is the condition listed on the written quote provided. I told them to cancel. This is fundamentally dishonest and unethical.

To date, State Farm has not refunded my money. The agent won't answer my emails, forcing me to play phone tag. She has been rude, condescending and unprofessional. I've just taken my issues to State Farm corporate, the BBB, my bank, law enforcement, and all applicable FL insurance licensing agencies. NEVER do business with State Farm.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I switched from State Farm because I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed. The rates kept going up so I canceled in February and I was supposed to get a refund. Here it is now June, every time I call no one return the call. It takes days to return an email. Once someone finally reach out they say, "The check was mailed out to you." So I said, "It doesn’t take 4 months or even 1 month for a check to get mailed to you." I sent numerous emails about this and no one seem to be working on it, now if I owed them money best believe they will call and call and probably cut the insurance off. GIVE ME THE CHECK YOU ME.

Original review: May 21, 2022

"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there," slogan. The above statements from State Farm is far from the experience I had. My experience was "horrifying, very stressful, feeling nauseous but not throwing up" . On December 31, 2021 my Toyota Tacoma was hit on the driver side by a State Farm driver. The video camera clearly shows the accident. Driver B clearly has the right away (Me). Driver A crossed 3 lanes of highway traffic and crashed into Drive B. (State Farm driver)

After reviewing the video camera, State Farm stated IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN ADMISSION OF LIABILITY and refused to pay for the damage (see video). Some "State Farm associate members" told me (on the phone) that the video camera totally support Driver B, but the decision was out of their hands. I know all phone calls are recorded, hopefully, the recorded phone calls explanation from some "State Farm associate members" will throws light on their behavior.

"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there," applies to the folks that have State Farm Ins. (Everyone else contact your own insurance company). I read several stories like minds regarding State Farm not accepting liability for accidents. This type of unjustifiable, trickster and fraud behavior from State Farm needs to be exposed." It must STOP. While dealing with State Farm, they appeared to me as unconcerned, detached; they was not friendly toward me, but arrogant. Note: Geico (my insurance) was appalled and stunned regarding State Farm not accepting liability for the accident.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I was in an auto accident with another party who is insured by State Farm. I was in front of their insured and was turning right and they hit me as they were going too fast and could not stop when they seen me making a slow right turn (as my car would have scraped turning into this entrance) so he veered to the right and slid into the side of my car. State Farm denied the claim. How do you deny a claim when someone who was behind you hit you. I have a extreme issue with that scenario. The story their insured gave was not even possible. I have heard lots of complaints about State Farm paying claims. Now I have first hand experience and on a claim that was complete common sense. I think their adjusters need a extensive amount of training on what is possible and what is not. It's very frustrating and disturbing.

Original review: May 13, 2022

My incident occurred back in 11/21, I finally found a body shop, in May with a new fender, North Port Auto Body to complete my repairs, in which I paid for in total in the amount of $1,330.00. Also my bra for the front end and the damaged wheel plus shipping and tax. According to my Math I should be receiving a check for $1,367.71.. I received a check for $1,482.51, the Swansons repairs was $974.45, leaving $355,56. The total for N Port auto body is $1,330.01 less $355,56, leaving a total of $974.45, Plus 109.76 for the bra and $265,00 plus tax $18.50 for the wheel, not including shipping.

I am a claims adjuster for multi million dollar residential and commercial properties so I am familiar with the industry and this is what I have paid for my repairs as the auto industry is lacking quite a bit of parts. Nobody came and looked at my truck. I received am to receive check for $467 and change, add that to my left over amount from the first check of $355.56 for a total of $823 rounded off. $823 minus my front end bra $109.26 and my wheel, $327 is $386.74.

State Farm is telling me they replaced my fender, painted it, blended it with my door, a check for $467 and change, add that to my left over amount from the first check of $355.56 for a total of $823 rounded off. $823 minus my front end bra $109.26 and my wheel, $327 is $386.74. You replaced my fender, painted it, blended it with my door, and also replaced the fender shroud, emblems etc for $386.74! That's amazing. Stay away, rates may be decent, but their claims dept. is Absolutely horrible and unrealistic! Claim #** Timothy

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information