3.4/5 (7192 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rent...

Verified

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over t...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

State Farm has excellent rates. You can get discounts for multi- car, safe driving etc. Whenever I have had a claim they paid promptly and my rates did not increase. I have been insured with State Farm for about 20 years. I have gotten quotes from other auto insures and the rates were higher with less coverage.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Have been a State Farm client for over 40 years and have had a number of claims both for auto and home. They have handled all efficiently and professionally and without raising my rates because of it. Plus my agent treats me with respect and is proactive in saving me money. VERY happy.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Notifications for price increases & when renewals are due are severely lacking in my experience with previous agent in Dallas, Texas. After being a loyal customer for many years I did not receive a timely renewal notice & was penalized by not being renewed & starting as a new inexperienced policy holder with significant increase in rating for my car despite still having home insurance with State Farm!

Original review: July 1, 2021

I utilized the mobile app for roadside assistance for the second time on 6/29/2021 both for flat tires. Both times I have had a fantastic experience. The app is user friendly and easy to navigate. Both times I had service to my vehicle and back on the road in less than 45 min from the time I logged into the app. Both times the service people were wonderful, friendly and fast. I definitely will continue to use this service.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Their prices are a little higher compared to other insurance companies. But I’ve been with them for over 35 years and never had a problem whenever I had a claim. They always dealt with my claim right away and got my car fixed or issued me a check.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We were involved in an accident where we were stopped at a traffic light when an underinsured driver landed upside down in the back of our car. With the money provided by the other driver's insurance and the 14K offered by State Farm that pays for half the medical bills, doesn't even take into consideration pain and suffering and our understanding insured coverage is 250/500. I've been a customer with all my home, life and auto for over 35 years. What a way to treat loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Some years ago I needed auto insurance so I applied with State Farm. I put down the deposit which was over $400. State Farm took the down payment and then told me that because of some problem they couldn't give me insurance but they kept the down payment. I complained to the State of NJ and what did they do? Nothing. Like a Good Neighbor? Really?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Brendon ** (BW) Henderson, Nevada. State Farm Owner/Agent/Clown. Bet you can’t beat my State Farm (SF) experience because no insurance company or their agent has ever done this to a client and never would. I had ten years rental and five years auto insurance with SF when I called Brendon ** for a change of vehicles and he cancelled my old policy and issued a new policy and proof of insurance for my new car. The DMV refused to accept his proof insurance and I spent the next three hours with the Toyota owner, a DMV clerk, and her manager while Brandon’s office searched but never found him.

I bragged that Brendon would fix this before sunrise and the DMV felt sorry for me and my pitiful agent so they gave me my new plates. What would your insurance agent and their office do??? The next day I sent Brendon a nice text thanking his trainees for trying to find him and he ignored me for ten weeks (90 days) until our country closed and the DMV suspended my registration and tried to fine me $500. State Farm Corporate didn’t lift a finger to help. Then to cover his nonsense, Brendon played his, poor me, I’m ** race card and SF fell for it. Did I mention I’m 68, crippled since birth and dying of lung disease? You can read and see as much or as little as you like, it’s amazing!!! **

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

This is the absolute worst company ever. I had a policy and was misinformed by my agent Victoria and her team and State Farm as well. I have never dealt with such a disorganized and misleading insurance company. Damages to my vehicle are not being covered because of their incompetent employees. I was told paperwork submitted would have been enough to keep insurance in good standing and that was incorrect. Do yourself and don’t use State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

So I'm not a State Farm member, however I did help someone out that did have State Farm. My cameras had captured video of an automotive incident as well as I took pictures for the policy holder, police report. etc.. So State Farm has no way of getting media content in the year of 2021. Email was the only option, I sent a dropbox link to large video files and pictures. Their IT seems to be stuck in the 80s listening to Pink Floyd. I was happy to help, but the alternative was upload it to YouTube.. "Um.. ok." No I don't do social media, especially for items like this. So I am jaw dropped, wide eyed blown away about that and they are all ok with that. They said thank you and hung up. I feel for State Farm policy holders.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information