2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes Quotewizard
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5
Based on 1,449 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

PROS
  • Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents
CONS
  • Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rental Property bundled for us, saving some money!

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over the years… Claims are handled well and quickly.

State Farm Auto Insurance Compare Quotes Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

PJS Towing and Recovery. I received this service through State Farm. I had to use them twice in one week. We thought my battery was low due to the cold, but when after a few days I thought the battery was dead and I needed a tow, they came and jumped it again. They were in constant communication about their ETA, and arrived on time each time. The guy advised that, after diagnosing my alternator, it was my battery and that I should replace it. He also advised me on replacing my jumper cables to a higher quality brand. Great company!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I have been with State Farm for several years now and am pretty happy with them overall. Whenever I've needed roadside assistance help it has been reliable and fairly quick getting to me. I haven't had any collision claims so far so I can't speak about quickness or response time regarding that but I would think it would be rather seamless. I have both renter's insurance and my auto insurance with them and they seem to be fairly priced but I may have a look around for price comparisons if I get a chance. Their personnel are always friendly and helpful and that's something I really like. No automated answering systems at their office so I can deal with an actual human when I call to make a payment which I'm happy about.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

State Farm has always taken excellent care of my family and me in the areas of car, home, and life insurance. The absolute best car insurance coverage I have ever had, and I have tried others in my 43 years of marriage, is by far State Farm. They have always covered repairs on our cars when we were in accidents without question and without raising our rates. There are discounts you automatically receive for increments of years of loyalty in staying with them. I can count on my local agent to answer my call immediately or within 2 hours, if after his hours. I have heard horror stories from colleagues at work about insurance companies that would not even cover their accident because, for example, there was not enough "proof" that it was a deer that hit the car. That does not happen with State Farm, as we experienced in the case of our daughter's late night deer accident. They covered us thoroughly anytime we had an accident.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I just had to write this review! I live in Phenix City Alabama, and got a call from a Agent name Leah **, who only first called to give me a quote. She was amazing: 10's all across! So professional, including the other staff that was also there. I only wanted Car insurance, but by the way she helped me, changed my life. I now have car coverage, renters insurance, and life insurance. She had me definitely! I was interested in everything she said. Great conversation, amazing energy. I am so happy I came into the office, because I was offered more options than what I came in for. I don't feel that nothing is a scam. It's legit. I'm happy for that. I can sleep at night and don't have to stress about issues I now pay monthly for lol (if you get what I mean).. God bless you, I'm happy you called.. Thank you Leah. And that handsome Jason ** with that Jeep I OH SOOOO WANT LOL... SEE YOU GUYS????

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been with State Farm for 14 years. I am very satisfied with my overall insurance plan. My auto, home, & condo are all insured with State Farm. My rates are among the lowest. I qualify for every discount that State Farm offers. I have never had a homeowner's claim. Hopefully, I never will. I have had 1 auto claim when I was involved in a collision with a deer. The damage was minimal and State Farm responded beautifully. My agent here in Auburn, Alabama is the top rated agent in this area. I am really satisfied with my State Farm agent Kathy **. My hard work of maintaining my credit and being a safe driver has paid off.

Original review: April 12, 2021

My sister purchased a $19k policy to cover our condo from the Omar Juarbe office. Our agent Dan ** has been giving us conflicting information, lied about what we were entitled to, then acted like we were being annoying because we were confused. Meanwhile, it's been three months since the fire, and we are still waiting for them to figure this out. We contacted corporate and was passed to 8 different departments because nobody seem to understand how the coverage worked. Totally unbelievable. Please don't make the same mistake we made by using State Farm.

Original review: April 8, 2021

On March 2, 2021 a State Farm insured driver turned left in front of me when I had green light. A month later I had to call them back to discover that they accept full responsibility. The agent told me I could go to any shop I desired. NOW THEY ARE SAYING... they will only cover the work and pay my rental car if I go to an IN NETWORK body shop. They changed their story and now I have begun the complaint process with the Insurance Commissioner.

Original review: April 2, 2021

MY car was stolen and then crashed by the dealership repairing it. After State Farm directing $30k+ in repairs, the car still has a bent frame, damage suspension, and engine problems. An independent inspector labeled the car 'Unsafe to drive' and has been sitting undriveable. State Farm has refused to fix the car or pay me for it. When I finally hired an attorney to force them, the case was thrown out as it was filed more than a year after the initial accident.

Original review: March 30, 2021

State Farm is the reason why people don't like insurance companies. They canceled my personal articles policy because I had a claim in 2019 and a claim in 2021. Why have insurance if you can't use it? They've been taking my premiums for years and then I file two claims and they cancel my policy. I am Never doing any kind of business with them ever again. And I am going to share my experience with everyone who asks me about getting insurance with them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Had an accident over 1 year ago, required surgery to repair knee. Jordon ** is claims specialist, he told we would be able to settle this claim in 2 weeks, well that was over 2 months ago. I call weekly and never get a call back. Registered online. Called another claim specialist, he has not returned any calls, sent email and still no response.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information