State Farm Auto Insurance
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

State Farm Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

2870 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Been with them for a lifetime. So I bought a brand new MINI in 2013 and told them I wanted full coverage, the kind that will actually replace my car if something happens. I paid my premiums on time every time, and then one day I made the choice to run over the debris in the road instead of sideswiping the people in the next lane. It took out my tire and damaged my rim, and I paid cash for the tow, the rim, and the tire. State Farm paid $0.00 and they admit it. But the fact that I even called, still sitting in my car, thinking I might possibly need a rental (it was after hours on a Saturday!) before I got a friend to come meet me and help me out, means that State Farm entered an "at fault" incident on my record.

Fast forward 2 years, the car now has about 58,000 miles on it, and I break down out of state. I call and say I may need a rental to continue my trip and I'm told that since there was not a multi-vehicle collision, I DO NOT QUALIFY FOR A RENTAL. WHAT??? This is complete and total BS. I would recommend you call EVERY OTHER AGENCY before considering these hacks. They lie, they cheat, and yes, twice, they double-dipped on my premium, which cost me hours of my time to rectify, all without a single "we're sorry" or other acknowledgment of fault on their part... yet they want to assign blame and make the customer pay double what other companies charge...

Just got off the phone with Farmers who quoted me a price for TWO vehicles that was still $500 LESS per 6 months, while Farm Bureau quoted me a price only on the car that I am currently driving at LESS THAN HALF what I am currently paying State Farm for the same vehicle. I've asked them to run some numbers on the one that is getting repaired before I commit to a different company... but... it's NOT going to be State Farm's job any longer!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I recently looked for quotes for my car insurance to see if I can get a better deal than what I currently pay with Geico. I got a quote from State Farm and they gave me a higher quote than what I pay with Geico. Then a State Farm agent calls me and tells me how they do so much more than other insurance companies and that they "are always there for me" and serve me which is why they charge a higher premium. I was refusing to sign with them, but the agent kept pursuing me and finally dropped the price lower than what I currently pay with Geico. So that made me happy. Temporarily.

Two weeks later, I received a letter that they have canceled my policy because I recently opened too many credit cards including retail store cards, and there were too many inquiries in my credit report. First of all, I have excellent money managing skills. I have 15 credit cards, combining a total of $75000 credit limit but I only use very little amount from the credit cards and pay the balance in FULL EVERY MONTH. I do not accrue any interest because I use what I am capable of paying back IN FULL.

The credit cards I have opened in a within a short period of time were offering excellent incentives, so it was beneficial for me to open them. It pretty much shows that I am a very responsible person. But because of that, State Farm canceled my policy after making me cancel my existing policy with Geico. I went back to Geico and they slapped me with a higher premium than I paid before just because I canceled and came back to them after three weeks.This short interaction has cost me money, time, and stress. They make you believe that they really dont care about money and they are there for you, but in reality, they found a reason to charge me more money and they were unwilling to let that opportunity go. TYPICAL INSURANCE COMPANY.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My car got hit from rear bumper by a car insured by State Farm and I claimed, however, after the investigation the State Farm guy called me and he told me other party claims for the compensation. During the accident day, my son was driving and the driver, who claim now, hits my car from back side. Apologizes and say no need for calling the police and gives all his contact information and insurance information and leaves without demanding any information regarding my insurance company and contact.

My son was new in this country and having communication problem and he trusted the person and let him go. Later, my son informed me, I called the insurance company, State Farm, and try to tell the story and then they recalled and talk to my son with the help of a translator and after long time later one guy called me from the State Farm Insurance Company and he said my son had mistake and they were going to claim and today my insurance company informed me they got the letter.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

On 9/25/2017 I was rear ended while at a red light, driver was on the phone. Driver was found at fault and cited. I called State Farm the next day to make my claim. The driver (at fault) did not make a claim. Had to send in all the information and paperwork. It has now been over 6 wks and the only response I get is the "we need time to do our investigation". I have called them every day to attempt to push this along only to be told by a State Farm Rep that I should just file it on my insurance... this company sucks and are a pack of crooks. So I guess the moral of this story is if you have State Farm and you get into a accident just don't file or answer the phone, that way the claim will just sit and sit and sit.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have been a State Farm customer for 5 1/2 years. No claims but they still raise my rates by putting false emergency road service claims and refusing to correct. One claim was even when I was away and my car was in a locked garage. I tried to contact customer and Libby ** who responded has done nothing, and now will not return my calls. She even told my agent NOT to correct the false report where they wrongly classify road service as comprehensive claims. I did a little insurance shopping and found much better rates with other insurance companies. So I am leaving.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

After having State Farm for 17 years and no serious claims my husband is hit from behind. Other driver gives insurance info and gets ticket. I called in claim on Friday Aug 18, 2017. To repair car is over 5,000 so they total car. They offer 3,300 for car. We tell them we have receipts for 1,100 work just put into car a month before. They say very rudely, "Either take our offer or we will close case." But here is the part that I have problem with. They take out our 500 deductible and give us 2,800. When this happens I have bad feeling we are going to be out 500... After waiting over 2 months and calling numerous times about our deductible now State Farm just tells us that the man that hit us has no insurance and has been turned over to collections to get money back. Really, if man can't afford to pay his insurance he can't afford to pay for our car. I feel State Farm makes their insured carry some of their liability.

Not once has State Farm called or kept us informed about case. Now to add insult to injury out of the blue get a call from my local State Farm office that I need to stop in and sign "some papers". Really? No. I say I can't. Well they are mailing them to me and I have 5 days to sign and return. What? They think I am dumb enough to sign? Is rejecting stacking policies for my 3 vehicles to non-stacking? How can State Farm even think that I am going to sign away triple on my coverage. State Farm doesn't care about their customers. Never sign anything from State Farm. I never thought State Farm would do this to me as a customer. State Farm has been nothing but a problem to us. Cancelled all 3 of my auto policies. State Farm is not a good neighbor. If you have State Farm I would think about changing before you are in accident and get no service and no money for your car like we did.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

They canceled my car’s insurance once my policy expired, I did receive official letter, where I was given a due date and I knew my policy wasn’t renewing. They did this to me not too long ago and I didn’t pay too much attention because I was planning to sell this car anyway. My mom received a letter a week ago from DMV stating that she either needs to prove she has insurance on her car, or surrender the plates. She found out that her insurance policy is closed almost 2 months and she was driving without insurance unbeknownst to her. This is all happening in these dire times when my father died 2 months ago... I don’t know what I'd do if she got arrested for them being so careless.

When she called Diana **, agent from STATE FARM Massapequa NY, she also said she tried to call several times and couldn’t reach, that’s how they’re justifying their action. My mom asked why she didn’t receive policy nonrenewal letter... I don’t know how she does business until now, she’s been most irresponsible and careless agent I've seen. Now my mom has to pay fines for almost 400$ for not having insurance for all this time. Worst experience ever, Beware Diana ** and STATE FARM.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

My car was hit by somebody with State Farm insurance. After I got estimates, sent pictures to them and the estimate. They told me that they were still reviewing it. Every autobody place said, no matter where you go, the repairs will be around 1500 dollars. So apparently, State Farm estimators have no experience estimating because the damage can be seen from the images. It is just an excuse to slow pay by a corporation.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

State Farm Auto Insurance is more expensive than other companies but they do give discounts for safe driving and multicar families. The local offices are small town businesses and give personal service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My RV received some damage from rain, I have comprehensive insurance through State Farm. Due to the heat of the Arizona sun the shell of the RV was starting to delaminate. Causing 3500.00 worth of damage. I made a claim and the State Farm adjuster denied it because it didn't happen suddenly. I have been 85.00 a month for comprehensive insurance to make sure it would be covered. If you are looking to get insurance I would think twice before getting State Farm. I currently have the RV and 2 vehicles insured through them and I am in the process of finding a better company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

A driver Insured by State Farm HIT MY CAR. When the police report came back it stated that their driver was at fault. It’s has been such a hassle dealing with State Farm. Their client hit my car, I feel like they should be jumping through hoops to make me happy. Instead I had to ask them about a rental which they only gave me for FIVE freaking days, and my car was totaled. I also had to ask who I should talk to about me missing work, due to being hurt and going to the doctors.

When they final called about a settlement they stated they will send me papers that I will have to sign and send back, then that’s when they’ll send my check. Mind you I only have 3 days from the 5 days left with the rental. I ask how long will the extension on the rental be and they stated it wouldn’t be a extension, they only give 5 day rentals. I AM SUPER PISSED. I have to wait for you to send me papers, only for me to send them back, then wait for my check and buy a NEW CAR in 3 days. All because your client hit my car.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I went to a dealer and I pay a hold for a car. After that I went to a State Farm office for apply for a loan and also the insurance. So they supposed to make me first the loan to see if I was eligible. No they make me first the insurance, they took out from my account $160 and at the moment for check the loan they don't give me the amount that I was needing. So we cancel the insurance and they told me that they were giving the refund in 5 days and I was waiting for 3 weeks. And all official papers of the insurance were coming to my mail and I was not having the car. They also send me the snapshot (for plug in a car). So I call more than 10 time to see what's going on. And after a month they send me the refund. So the point is that they take you the money fast but for make a refund they take forever. Don't recommend Stare Farm. Bad!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I am a good driver. At 55, I have never sustained a loss in a vehicle accident where I was at fault. That was until a couple of months ago. I have State Farm Insurance. I had to drive my classic Camaro to an appointment which is rarely used but it was my only choice that day. Sadly that was a mistake. That morning, I was in severe traffic where things would move and then come to a rapid stop. On one of those cycles, I could not stop in time and I had my first accident of my life where I was at fault. 20 years or so back I was home and two of my vehicles were parked on the street when a lady ploughed into the first so hard that it broke it free from park striking my second vehicle. All 3 vehicles involved were insured by State Farm.

The adjuster had the audacity to try to low ball me for my losses. I realize that is their job but a State Farm ploughed into a State Farm insured vehicle which then broke free and hit yet another State Farm insured vehicle. I think State Farm after many years or premiums needed to take care of their clients. I called my agent who was awesome. She suggested a reasonable approach and we got things worked out.

Now it is 20 years later and thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in premiums later and this time it was my fault. My first accident and my classic Camaro, I am so disappointed in myself. I know I caused damage to the other driver and this was my top concern. So no injuries which is a relief. Now we have only property damage to work thru.

I understand State Farm covered the victim I hit, thank you. But when it came time to address my vehicle, my classic Camaro with full insurance, I asked if the estimator could contact me so I could meet him at the shop to go over this car in detail, "No problem" was the response. But guess what, that didn't happen. So now the estimator treats this like just an old car. I have stated value coverage but the car is not totalled and will get fixed, but again they won't make me whole again. I made many calls to the claims department and sure they collect your premiums, but when it's time for them to pay up, it's one discrepancy after another. And I did almost all the calling as they rarely were returning my calls or listening.

I strongly believe State Farm is not too different from the many of other Major names that claim to be there when needed but ISN'T. My Agent, same great lady I had before, tried to do what she could, but the company is not in it for its clients, it's only in it for them. I am seriously going to review my coverages with scrutiny. I was going to just fix all the problems and file a Small Claims action against them, but the agent got them to partially cover the damage so it's a mute point but it did show me how unreasonable they are. I suggest you Really compare dollars as all the ads and promotions won't speak as loud as the clients that suffer losses. Why should you pay more for service you don't receive???

I would have given them one star, but Cathy **, my agent was a listener and did what she could and for that I doubled their rating. My agent was helpful. The claims office Sucks! The days are gone when they made you whole without a fight. With State Farm, you almost always have to expect half ** service involving claims, lousy communication if you call their main office and people that will say one thing but will do another. I cannot recommend them at this time even though I at the time of this writing have 10+ policies with them. This of course will most likely change in the coming year... I suggest you look at all your options closely as I plan to. Stay away from companies that do not fulfill their purpose.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was rear ended by a State Farm customer. My car was totaled. It was an older model car, but I just put 1000 dollars into maintenance. Their payout was just 1000 dollars even though I provided them with receipts for the repair from one week earlier. The customer service was very rude telling me that they would not pay anymore for the car. So after being rear ended by their customer I have no money and no car. Their client has cost me a vehicle that I cannot afford to replace because my balance is now $0.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I had my policy with them a little over a year, I went to add my son to the policy but it was going to be $479 a month just for him! Not including my bill. I went ahead and put a down payment of 439 that day because my son was buying a car and we did not have time to shop around. I went home and found a much cheaper policy through Geico and called to cancel State Farm immediately. This was a Saturday so they were happy to take my money to create a policy but would not cancel on a Saturday and told me I had to call my agent on Monday.

I called them Monday and they "say" they canceled everything. I get a refund for my policy in a week and call to inquire about my son's. They say it was never canceled that it should only be another week. I am now on a month plus waiting. I have called numerous times and ask to escalate the situation and they tell me there is nothing to do. They gave me a long BS explanation each time and nothing gets done. Meanwhile, I am out 439 of my downpayment. I will never do business with them ever again. I canceled my renter's policy with them after my last call I can't even imagine the service I would get if I had to actually make a claim.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Seriously TERRIBLE service! As I write this, my husband is stranded approximately a mile from home with no way to get our disabled Dodge truck home. A. Single. Mile. He called for a tow shortly after 3:30 PM, and he's still waiting for a tow after 5:30 PM (it's now 5:42 PM to be exact). We have ALL our insurances (five vehicles, one trailer, homeowners, etc.) with State Farm, we pay a hefty sum for it all, and ultimately, when it came down to needing a simple tow, they failed miserably via their contracted tow companies. Time to put our hard earned money into a different insurance company plus AAA. Terrible experience! And by the way, no, we don't live out in a rural part of California. We are within a five-minute drive of two smaller cities, and within a 22 minute drive of a large city. No excuse!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

State Farm is a horrible company to deal with if you file a claim. Was hit by a drunk driver. My car was totaled. They wanted to pay me a very low price and canceled my rental car when I did not accept. Out of 25 years I had never filed a claim. They were very rude while talking with them on the phone.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

On 9/4, I submitted a claim regarding my vehicle. I was told by my agent that for a vehicle to be totaled, there would have to be 75% of the total value in damages. Confident that the damages were nowhere near that cost, I proceeded. My vehicle blue booked at about 28,000$, and there was NO WAY that damages were 75% of that, as I priced out a brand new engine at about $8000, installed. All I wanted was repairs, from a company that is paid to repair damaged vehicles. They also said that if it were deemed a total loss that I could buy the vehicle back from them. Both of these were flat out lies. After some delay, because they immediately took it to the "total loss lot" when I specifically said it needed looked at by a mechanic, I got a call a week or so later stating that the vehicle was totaled. I asked them to show me how repairs would cost 75% of $28,000, and they said it only had to be 30% of the total value.

I was very disappointed at this assessment and DID NOT want to total my vehicle. I then said I would like to buy it back, and they said I COULDN'T, contrary to what they had previous told me. They had backed me into a corner, as 1000$ in diagnosis fees had accrued at the dealer. At this point, I had little choice but to accept their assessment and make the best of a bad situation. I then turned in a list of aftermarket parts, as I was told to do, and they would compensate me for the extras I had installed on my vehicle. I soon received a voicemail stating that all of the listed parts were already figured into the total payout, so I asked them to show me the original assessment which included these parts.

Hours later, I received an updated assessment, along with a statement saying they owed me another 1300$. Had I not asked for proof, they would have kept that money. I feel as though I was intentionally misled, then pressured to accept a total loss. Then, 2 weeks later, I hear that my vehicle was for sale on a lot in a neighboring town. I called them and asked why they could sell it, but I couldn't buy it. They said it was not for sale. After establishing a pattern of dishonesty, I do not believe them and feel as though they are acting unscrupulously. I will be finding a new insurance company very soon.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I just signed up for State Farm 4 months ago. I signed in Iowa then move to PA. I planned to come back within 6 months and the agent told me it's okay to keep policy in Iowa. Without my permission, they transfer my policy to PA and there was a $500 increase. Even I'm not with my Iowa agent anymore, they still tell me sign auto payment plan so I did, so I thought I would be charged automatically but I wasn't because the agent didn't handle it well. Then I decide to transfer from one agent to the other since the latter one is closer.

It took them entire month to transfer. The lady told me she would contact me within 3 days but she didn't until my Minnesota agent contacted her. She finally contacted me after 1 month and told me I haven't paid for 2 months and owed $600, so I went in today and ask why she never contacted me even she said she would. She said she just saw it and start giving me ** attitude and yelling at me. I asked her if I have to take the responsibility for their mistake and if this is how she treat customer, she couldn't take it anymore and start screaming at me. Lmao seriously State Farm this is how you treat your customer? Your agent might have mental issues. Bye.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Year 2016 purchased State Farm homeowner's ins. at local agency. Three weeks later a secondary bill arrives for more money. Called underwriter for explanation and was told they found a weather related claim in 2013 and that was their reason. No weather related roof claim is reason to raise a rate so cancellation took place in 2017. Find a company with better business experience.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have been a State Farm customer for auto insurance for 16 years. In 2016 I reported a fender bender where I was not ticketed and only called the claim in because of damage to my car. There was no damage to the other vehicle and State Farm did go up on my monthly payment due to the accident. I got married Sept of 2017 and at that time my husband wanted to add me to his car insurance. I then canceled with State Farm on Oct. 9 of 2017.

Well due to that 2016 accident the original price that was quoted to me by my husband's insurance company changed. I then decided to just reinstate my policy with State Farm. Little did I know when I called to reinstate on October 20 of 2017 that they noted my account as do not reinstate. The 24 hour customer assistance did not know why and advised me to call my agent Monday morning. I thought, "No problem. I have a long history with my agent and my parents even longer."

So Monday morning I call and I am told that State Farm had already decided not to renew my policy in January due to many claims. I then asked what claims, I only had the one in 2016. She goes on to explain I had 2 tows (I had an older car 2006 before purchasing my new 2015 car), windshield replacement (driving a small stone or debris hit my front window) and then the 2016 accident where State Farm had to pay $1900.

I was shocked because I pay for roadside assistance and had not needed a tow in over 2 years the length I had my new car. Unfortunate circumstances with the small stone hitting and cracking my windshield but again, I thought Florida had laws for replacing front windshields. And my only accident that was actually my fault is the reason we pay insurance to be covered because no one is perfect.

I am extremely disappointed in State Farm and realized there is no loyalty to customers having held my car insurance policy with them for over a decade. At this time I would not recommend State Farm to anyone nor my previous agent. I am disappointed in her as well due to the fact that she knew what was coming down the pipeline and did not advice me so that I could make arrangements for obtaining different car insurance. I will not leave the agents name due to the fact that my family continues to have policies. I am further concerned with what government entities are running or policing what insurance companies do. They seem to be allowed to whatever wherever and that is not acceptable.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I have been with State Farm for 4 years. Through out these 4 years I have had the displeasure of my bill increasing every single month. Mind you I didn't make any changes to my policy. However, every month the billing department increases your bill. My bill went from 108, 130 (liability) to 147, 156, now 160 and this is only for this year. Last year was worst. My agent has no answers other than tax increases. Which leaves me baffled as to why EVERY single month the tax has to increase. Upon seeking answers from the 24hrs customer service phone number; I spoke to Jake a specialist, who is higher than a customer rep who behaved as if me wanting to know WHY every month my bill increased was annoying to him. So I asked to speak to someone else only to be place on hold for 10 mins.

Jake return to the phone hot and bother stating no one else was available after telling me he was going to let me speak to someone else, when I ask him his name he lied saying Ryan before hanging up on me. I had to call back and speak to another rep named Lorrie who was very professional. She helped me identify that the rep who was very rude and hung up on me was not Ryan but Jake. My advice to anyone who is looking to buy insurance from State Farm is RUN go somewhere else. Until they can fix their billing issues that is clearly an issue people should find business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My husband and I was hit from behind by a State Farm Client. Our car was totaled out. Both my husband and I was hurt but didn't go to the hospital that night because we had just left the hospital. My husband was diagnosed with Vertigo prior to accident. For me, I was the driver. I have been stressed, lied to, and even told that whiplash heals in 3 to 4 weeks by the claims rep. that is currently handling my claim. I called back to speak to her manager and had the nerve to say to me that my car was not that bad when the car was totaled out. My husband and I are an older couple. I'm still fighting with them today because the settlement amount they offer me for the injuries that has inflicted my body, being I'm disabled has intensified my health condition.

They are the worst, soft tissue injuries are very devastating when you already have complications. I don't understand how they can get away with treating people with this kind of disrespect and low balling an injured person that will have to live with this condition because of their client. I seen on the News that these Insurance Companies are cheating people by paying them less money then keeping the money for themselves. I'm very disgusted with State Farm and I will continue to do my research on how they treat their customers!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have had State Farm for over 25 years. I stay with them and pay more because I have always had great customer service. I went to Walgreens and came out and there was damage to my car. I followed their claim procedure and took to one of their select service locations. This location could not determine what caused the damage. I get a call from State Farm saying because he couldn't tell what it was that did it, I have to now go to adjusters until they determine it be covered under collision. The damage is probably 6-700 dollars. My collision is 1000 deductible and my comp is 100. They don't want to pay a dime for a claim. Mind you, I have paid about 20000 to them in premiums for car insurance over last 5 years, Michigan rates are most wonderful! They are fighting a claim for minimal value and I have given them this kind of money! Ridiculous. I have not had any claims for a very long time. I will definitely change companies.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I received extremely poor service by State Farm Roadside Assistance. I called State Farm for jump start request for my car at 10:30AM in the morning. They send text that the roadside assistance will arrive in 45 minutes. It took 2.30 hours for assistance to arrive, the came at 1:00PM. In the meantime, I called the Service Provider, they were unable to find the records of my case. They just kept me in the dark for 2 hours and did not provide a timely service. Auto Rescue Name. H.E.L.P Roadside.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

When I first took them for insurance coverage my bill was $171.00 including renters insurance. When I renewed it went up $20 to $191 because they said I moved to a high-risk area, but this is more of a retirement community. I had no claims with them, hadn't even gotten a ticket! When it was time to renew again they put my premium up to $209. When the rep explained that "rates went up in your area" I have experienced rate increases with other companies and NEVER was it more than $3 or $4 at a time. They also removed my renter's insurance for no reason without my permission to charge me more!! I saw the rate increases two a weeks ago and left messages and my so-called agent never called me back! This company is a scam and I hope somebody has enough of a complaint to sue them and put them out of business!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been a State Farm customer for almost 20 years. I chose this company not because they were the cheapest, but because I thought they were a reputable company that I could trust. Unfortunately, after having an accident, I realize that is not the case. My accident happened on the freeway at night. All of a sudden I feel something hit the side of my car and feel my tire slowly deflating, so I exit the freeway immediately. When I pull over, my tire is flat, my fender has a dent, my taillight is broken, and a panel is missing from the door. I took my car into a reputable repair shop with great reviews. After a couple days, I receive a call from State Farm, saying that they will pay for the body damages, but they will not pay for a new tire!! How does this make any sense? They tell me something about it not being covered in my policy unless I hit something with my tire.

I told them I have no idea if I hit something or not and how would they know enough about the situation to determine that I DID NOT hit something when there are marks all over the car as if I DID hit something. When I called the body shop, the owner told me that when the insurance estimator went to the shop to inspect my vehicle, he was the one that stated "HE" would not be paying for the tire. As if it was coming out of his own pocket. After 20 years of bundling our 2 vehicles and homeowners insurance through them, I told the representative from claims that we would be changing insurance companies after being treated this way. Their response? "Ok, call your local agent to cancel." This alone should tell you just how much they care and value their customers. There are way too many other solid insurance companies to choose from that I am sure will be more caring and value my business.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

First off took like 3 weeks just to review pictures and statements, I had to call them every time I wanted to check up on my status or to record my statement. Every person I talked to had something different to say. 3 people told me the other driver was at fault and 2 others said we were pointing fingers so it might not be anyone's fault. Keep in mind I got rear ended and my whole bumper was cracked while this other drive had 3 scratches on the front of his car. My bumper also broke off the following days. I finally called again today and had someone tell me the other driver was at fault and then realized we had the same insurance and goes, "OH you both have State Farm. Let me put you on hold".

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

State Farm is not a good insurance company. If you're looking for insurance DO NOT pick them. They will constantly change to a new company and change all your renewal dates. I bought my house in October 2007 and when I went to cancel my policy they are charging me because even though it's October and it should be my renewal date apartments it's not now. When I try to get answer they just keep passing me to someone else and then that person says, "Sorry I can't discuss that with you". Try calling and give me another number.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

On 8/18/17 I notified my agent that I moved from Illinois to Texas. I was told to contact an agent here in Texas and they would submit the request to change. On 9/10/17, after many phone calls, their underwriting team finally completed their review however they charged me a surcharge for a previous accident that was I was not a fault for as the person who hit me had no insurance. In Illinois, I was not charged with a surcharge so I called them back and they resent to underwriting.

After a week, I called for an update and they said they were trying to contact the prior insurance for a letter of proof. Which I obtained the same day and sent to them on 9/16. 2 weeks later, they moved the completion to review from 9/27 to 10/4. And now I received an email that’s it’s been pushed again to 10/25. They want a payment knowing it’s not correct and I’m being over billed but wants to take over a month and a half to possibly fix maybe more if they continue to push back the date to correct. Poor customer service.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky