State Farm Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I applied for auto insurance for my very first time and it took over 3 weeks for them to get it done, when I was told it would only take a maximum of 7 days. During this time I had to call to find out that the agent I thought I was working with quit. Then when they told me what paperwork I needed to give them, they forgot about 2-3 different papers they needed for it to go through, causing it to take even longer. This also caused me a late fee since you only have 15 days to register your car before a late fee is applied. I asked if they would pay it, since it was only because of them I had a late fee. They said no. I called for insurance two days after obtaining the car, figuring it would leave me with plenty of time. I will never trust State Farm and am extremely disappointed in the frustration they caused me, and their poor efficiency. I called AAA and they had insurance in my hand in less than 24 hours, for less than State Farm.

I have had auto insurance with Allstate for 12 years. I had a couple of problems and decide to change it over to State Farm Insurance. I had the insurance for 3 months and last week I had two very unfortunate mishaps with my automobile on the 26th of December. I came out of the store to find that someone had done something to my car. It was scraped up. There's no question it looks like a shopping cart. However State Farm says that shopping cart is a collision and I will need to pay a $500 deductible. Unfortunately 3 days later I was rear-ended and the person who hit me drove off. I contacted State Farm and I was told that I will need to pay yet another $500 deductible to get my car fixed although I do have insurance for uninsured drivers.

My agent no longer will have anything to do with the incident and he told me that if I had problems with any of the claims or the estimates that I needed to contact the adjusters or the estimators and there was nothing he could do about any of it. So not only was I abandoned by my agent and left to deal with all of this not knowing anything about policies, I'm out of thousand dollars for all kinds of damage that's been done to my vehicles not due to my fault at all. I'm very sorry that I left Allstate and this experience with State Farm has cost me dearly. I am now in financial ruin. As a single mother I don't have $1,000 to fork out to whoever wants it. State Farm should be put out of business.

I got a Auto quote from Brad ** State Farm Agent and indicated that I only have a foreign international driver's license and sent copies of my license. I accepted the quote which was $68.82 a month and couple of weeks later I have been told that my premium in now $97.00 because I have a foreign license. They give lower rate to have people get their insurance with them and then increase the premium. I had another option with another company which was $72.00 but I have chosen State Farm and now they are forcing me to pay $30 more each month. This is not called business, this is called bankruptcy!

It was done 6 years ago and the process required only a phone call and they set up the rental car (at no cost to us) and the dealership that repaired our make of car. That was all the effort it took on our part to get State Farm to recognize the claim and set things up for us. We picked up the rental car, delivered our car to the repair facility and when it was repaired we checked it out, picked it up and signed the papers. We paid the deductible to the repair facility and it was done. I like the company, I do not like Insurance Premiums from anyone, but these guys are reasonable, do excellent work and are in line with the premiums of their competitors. I know, I check it out every year before renewal.

I pay extra for State Farm's Roadside Assistance. I finally need it one day. They didn't come at all, even after I told them that my car was blocking traffic. The police finally had to move my car, at my expense.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

I called and said someone had T-Boned me, they sent out an adjuster/inspector and sent me a check for the value of my car which was right on (amount). I've been with State Farm for 20 years accident-free except the one where someone hit (that price of ins is good) but no claims on my homeowners for 20 years and it just keeps going up, up, up. I stay because I get the multi-policy discount, I still get $100.00 Deductible on auto. There always willing to help you to try and lower your payment going over all options available to you. I've checked other insurance companies and they can't beat their price and stay in my deductible range.

Driving down I 71 and a big truck pulling a huge trailer came over into our lane. Had we not slammed on the brakes, it would have pushed us into the bridge guard rail. He clipped the front right side of our truck instead. We got all appropriate info and State Farm denied the claim from their insured saying there was no proof except our word that he hit us. WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER. Our insurance company wasn't surprised at all...said they do it all the time!

My State Farm agent is great, but having to deal with a recent accident, I realized how not "good neighbors" State Farm really is. Trying to file the claim was a circus. The first person actually yelled at me versus helping me which was ridiculous. No contact from them after 3 weeks and numerous phone calls. When I finally go a response, the offer was absurd. RUN to a different insurance provider. RUN NOW. So sorry I ever, ever insured with them. BIG BIG MISTAKE.

I've used this company off & on, just went back because of better rates. Since I've been able to compare State Farm with other companies, they have always beat them in every category. I've had the chance to try several in many different states & haven't been happy most of all customer service. The only thing is that my first experience with State Farm, it appears some aspects are not as outstanding as they used to be. The organization & customer service is just not as I remembered.

Called my agent, adjuster scheduled appointment to see car. Adjuster wrote up estimate, got car fixed. Adjuster missed a couple of minor things, so they sent me an additional check for the difference. No hassles, no delays, no problems what so ever. Been with them over 30 years and lord willing I'll be with them another 30 years. Can't beat the price either and I have done some checking around. They can't be beat!!!

I had a horrific freak accident in July and they took so long to pay it that they ruined my credit and now I have to hold off on buying a house. My claim is still open and no one will return my phone calls. It's been six months of nothing but giving me the runaround. I was told my claim contact did not take care of anything but the car and told me file the other part of my claim online. When I did I got a call while I was at work, on a Saturday afternoon at noon, telling me "Please call back Mon thru Fri 9-7". If I can only talk to you Monday thru Friday why are you calling me on Saturday? When I called them back I got the voicemail of the same contact who I was told doesn't deal with that part of my claim. I left three messages. Still no return call.

They insist on raising the rates often. I am currently looking at other insurance companies. When I started with State Farm it was great. However, in the 4 years I've been with them, it's ridiculous how often they have raised the rates and I have never filed a claim.

I work with a local office that I can call on the phone. If I need to change my coverage I can call someone local who I believe will have my back more than a national call center. The price I pay is about 50% of what I paid Progressive. I don't know if I have the absolute cheapest price but it's pretty low I feel. I've been a customer for about 6 years. I don't have plans to change my coverage.

My husband accidentally hit a car turning beside the vehicle he was driving. He filed a claim immediately, both vehicles was examined, processed and repaired. No hassle for us or the vehicle he hit. Work done and paid and everyone was completely satisfied. Claims filed and paid immediately. Customer service for St. Farm and our agent and his staff were more than helpful. We have no complaints with St. Farm or our agent.

Filed claim, they directed me to choices of body shops. I chose one, and they went from there. Had absolutely no difficulty with exception of a couple of duplicate calls wanting same info. Very pleased with State Farm.

On December 9 I was t-boned by a van as I entered the intersection of a four-way stop. The van came out of nowhere and skidded to a stop as it crashed into the right front door of my vehicle. I was exceptionally fortunate not to have been injured. This driver was also insured by State Farm. My husband came to the accident site and took pictures showing the skid marks as the other driver attempted to stop at the last moment and could not. I reported the accident and called the Highway Patrol, who declined to make a report. I immediately gave a report of what occurred to State Farm... Do NOT do that. When you are traumatized and upset by the accident; don't talk to State Farm. Consult an attorney and preferably hire an attorney. State Farm will take your words, twist them around and use them against you.

Be advised that no matter how clear the case, State Farm will endeavor to avoid assigning responsibility, if it requires them to pay out more for the claim. Also read your policy very carefully. In my case they would not pay the full bill for repairs if I took my car to the repair shop of my choice. And I was required to accept non-oem parts. I strongly advise anyone with State Farm Auto Insurance to work only through an attorney when dealing with this corporate entity.

It was very easy with no hassle. The problem was quickly fixed. We have never had to hassle with about any claim. They just take over and make sure everything is done right. We have been with State Farm for 55 years. We have NEVER had a problem with them. We have had to contact about a rental car when we were out of town. They had the claim filed right then and gave us very clear direction as to what we needed to do. We had a fire and they took over getting everything done. Even getting us a place to live for three months. They checked with us weekly to see how we were doing. I would recommend them to anyone.

I have been a State Farm auto and homeowners insurance policy holder for over 10 years. Having never been in an accident or getting a speeding ticket once in 10 years, I would assume and expect that my loyalty and my being a low risk policy holder would get me the best rates possible. Boy was I wrong. So recently I had a 2004 and a 2005 car on my insurance policy. The total value of these cars were no more than $3000. Yet I was paying $180 per month for insurance. I always thought this was high, but my trust in State Farm made me expect that I was getting the best rates.

Now when I say best rates, I know every company is different so maybe a $20-$30 difference per month is acceptable. Anyways, I paid this premium for over 2 years and didn't complain or even question State Farm. The issue that brought this to my attention and submitting this to Consumer Affairs, was when I purchased a 2010 Jeep and tried putting it on my policy. After talking to my local agent and going over all the details he came up with a price of around $150 per month for just this car. Again, I thought this was high, but this time I decided to check the market and see if I was getting a good price.

Very first place I tried, and have never been a policyholder and have no loyalty towards came up with a quote $80 less per month on just the one vehicle. For both vehicles it was over $120 cheaper per month. That is a whopping $1440 price difference in insurance. And this is for the SAME EXACT COVERAGE that State Farm was offering. APPLES TO APPLES. How could this be? Has State Farm been taking advantage of me for the past 10 years? This other company has the same exact information as does State Farm of where I live and all other factors that determine price of insurance. How could there be almost a 100% markup for a loyal and low risk customer? These are questions I want answered.

Who knows how many people have just "assumed" that being an excellent driver and a low risk policy holder that we are getting the best rates. They tell you that you are getting all these discounts for being a safe driver accident free but are they really? I'm sure there are many other current or past policy holders that have been affected by this price gouging tactic they use. I would love to see a private or Federal investigation uncover the truth behind all this.

I'm a blue collar worker barely making ends meet with a wife and two kids and need to save a penny anywhere I can. This whole time, I expected my Insurance company would be the last place that would try and pull some wool over my eye. I hope this wakes some people up that are current and past policyholders to question them and get other quotes to see exactly if they are doing you wrong like they did me. I would love to have someone look over my past payment history and rates and tell me just how much I was really overpaying.

In conclusion, I would hope that something becomes of this because the answers I have received from State Farm were not satisfactory. There are underwriters and other factoring that goes into developing rates, but why should the average everyday low risk driver be the one who bares burden to State Farms major rate increases and obviously high risk policy holders? Just because?

It is State Farms mistake for covering these high risk policy holders that are ruining it for everyone else. I put my trust into them and they took advantage. Is that the American way in today's standards? Maybe it's companies like this that are making the economy so volatile right now. Wake up State Farm and help. Don't put loyalty by the back burner and expect people to just accept this.

Well I have been with State Farm for 2 years and they just cut my Auto Insurance without not one call or notice until 1 month after. According to State Farm using the towing coverage is filing a claim. While 2015 Atlanta was hit with record rain and my car was flooded. State Farm decided to fix it instead of totaling it out. That was their call. I had a small fender bender which was my fault. But being that, I had that one at fault accident and used the towing. Their company have now labeled me as high risk. What is insurance for? This has been my only at fault accident in my whole life.

So Dec. 19, 2016 I paid the bill that State Farm sent me, they took my money and said my coverage was good to go. Just for me to go out of town and get pulled over and car towed. Towed why? No insurance, really State Farm that is how you are doing your customers. Your dates that you told me didn't add up. If you are calling your customer saying you are going to cancel them on Dec. 1, then why did your company email me for a bill pay as well as your Reps calling for a payment? To add to this you sent a letter out on Dec. 21, 2016 talking about you cancel me on Dec. 15, 2016. You just took my payment on Dec. 19, 2016. State Farm is starting to be a scam. I started my complaint already with the GA Insurance Comm., as well as the BBB. So basically they give you things they don't want you to use. So if we pay for tow but you don't want you to use it, then just say that. Why have it in the policy? I will never use them again.

We have filed several claims with State Farm, and we received excellent service. Granted, we have been with this company for a very long time, and have both our homeowners insurance, and two vehicles insured with them, and could not be more satisfied with their service, and claims process. We believe "you get what you pay for", and State Farm is worth every penny.

It was years ago that I filed a claim. The adjuster took the information in a timely manner and processed the claim quickly. I receive discounts for being a long time customer, for taking refresher classes, for a clean driving record and for multiple policies. Questions by phone are answered clearly and professionally. Every staff person knows me and has the knowledge and training to respond to my questions accurately. The staff is friendly and I feel they care about me and want to be sure I am properly insured. The agent contacts me every year or two to review my coverage. I appreciate that.

Paid me for injuries but seem to charge extra at times. Helpful. Just wish they would stop increasing at times feel it is unfair. Have been with them over 14 years. They have saved me lots of money over the time I've been with them. However at times seems like they want a bonus at my expense. They did however take good care of me when I was injured and even one time when other car drove off.

I was in a bad car accident with my baby, but the other driver didn't have car insurance. The other driver was at fault, and I only had liability and knew I was screwed. I called a lawyer that does auto insurance injuries. But we had to talk to a judge and felt like I was interrogated. The person representing State Farm said it wasn't that bad since I wasn't in pain right away. I was really sore, and the next day it was horrible. She's not a doctor so she had no right to say that or make that judgment. To get out a man had to pry the door open. I didn't hear my 9 month old baby, and was still in shock. I thought my baby died.

Shortly after he started to cry. I lost my car, his stroller, and all our belongings that was in the car. I only had his diaper bag and car seat. My injuries got worse because I carried him and the car seat around. There was no sympathy about her attitude and how I was treated from State Farm. I got the money I needed to help me since my car was a total loss. I told my new insurance company what happened. She said there should have never been a problem and that shouldn't have happened.

Someone backed into us, we got estimates, no hassle to fix. We have discounts with them, no hassle, polite customer service. The more things you insure with them the more discounts you receive. We have had a few causes for their service. Deer do not look before crossing the road. We had no problems getting the truck fixed. Just received a few estimates and got the work done. Another deer ran into us, same truck, and received the same service. Different car hail damage, same procedure. We also have other things with the insurance. They offer IRA's, Roth and Traditional. They explain it to you and if you have questions they will answer them, even if you forget and have to ask again.

My Wife was sitting in a fast food place when a little old lady backed into her vehicle. We did the whole exchange of info and police report making sure that she was ok. Fast forward 2 weeks our vehicle has now been deemed totaled. Bumper and back hatch damage. I thought a bit excessive, but who am I to question. It is 4 Days before Christmas and we have a decision to make, whether to surrender the vehicle or have it repaired out of a salvaged title with an unknown price. Speak to the collision place and all of a sudden the price is within the range of the settlement to take the salvaged title amount, in which I found a bit shady as when I dropped off the vehicle they had mentioned if the vehicle were to be totaled they may be able to work something out.

So instead we decided to surrender 2 days later after an emotional roller coaster as this van was a gift from my father and the attachment overwhelming. State Farm brings the check to us an afternoon a day before Christmas Eve. We are now in a scramble to find a vehicle as we only have another 5 days with the rental, with 2 of these days Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

We finally call State Farm day after Christmas (After 3 prior phone calls - 1 saying to us they would probably at least be able to extend the rental because of the holiday) as most of the check does not clear until the day after the rental is due back and the remainder won't clear until the 31st. This leaving us without money to buy a vehicle until the check clears nor a vehicle to do things during the holidays with 5 children. State Farm stated it was our banks fault for not clearing the check sooner. We then stated the check most likely hadn't cleared because we had no money due to the holidays and did not budget for this situation we were in, where they said accidents happen. I am truly blown away at the lack of empathy due to circumstances. Not sure what to do next. HELP.

This was back in 2005 hurricane Wilma. My car received body damage. State Farm claim process through such a tragic time was effortless. They opened up tented claim centers. So convenient so organized. Outstanding customer service. Outstanding professionalism. When it comes to auto insurance my coverage is State Farm. When it comes to homeowners, condo, apartment, which I've had all three, I know they have my back should I ever call upon them. Some people claim they are expensive. I don't think so. And if they were you get what you pay for.

This is a local agency in a small town - so it's a friendly atmosphere, no agents coming or going, same location always; - it's always the same agent who's also well-known for her civic service. I resent that my "little-bitty" policy keeps getting more expensive every time I renew; even if it's 2-3 $'s each time, it adds up, even if inflation hasn't increased.

If I have a question or need any assistance, they are always ready to help. There were times I needed a tow, or had a dead battery, or a flat tire. And State Farm was right there to help and reimburse me for my out of pocket cost. Never (so far) a penny lost. I call with ANY question and they get me the answer. NO problem. Been with them over 20 yrs.

I was in an auto accident and they took us through the whole process and even told us what to do to get our car fixed because the other insurance company involved wanted us to use secondary parts, which is cheaper for the other company to fix the vehicle involved, not original parts. State Farm told us to get our vehicle fixed with original parts and they would take care of the matter, which they did. We have had our insurance on our vehicles through them for over 40 years now and have never wanted to change companies.

We just recently visited our agent and increased our auto insurance because of all the people in our state who have none. He discussed our options and how much each one would increase our monthly rate. We were very satisfied with the process and now feel a lot better that we have increased our rates. We have two cars insured with State Farm, our homeowners insurance and even our life insurance through them and we get great discounts for having all these items insured through them. We have checked different companies just to see how their rates compare, and so far in all these years no one can beat them!

I stay in Texas and recently took a new insurance with them. After few months I changed my Virginia license to Texas license. Suddenly a night before I came to know that they had terminated my insurance as they could not find any valid license number. The agent told me they left me a voice mail (which only asked me to call back without diverging any further details). When I called them back there was a long hold time and I had to disconnect and they NEVER tried to reach me ever after. They sent me a letter by post which is posted on November 30, 2016 and the termination date was also Nov 30. Obviously the letter reached to me after November 30. Now they are saying they can issue a backdated new policy with rates way more than what I was paying. Totally DISHONEST company! Least they could do was to talk to me or send me an email before terminating.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.
  • Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)
  • Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.
  • Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.
  • Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Compare Auto Insurance