2. Automotive

State Farm Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5
Based on 1,225 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Online portal for easy policy access
  • Multi-policy discounts available
  • Safe driver and teen driver discounts

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
State Farm Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Beware if you have a claim against a State Farm Client. A State Farm client backed into my car in a parking lot. It was a very narrow isle. She was backing out of a handicapped space when I saw her. I stopped and applied my horn, but she kept on coming. She didn't see me or hear my horn. The State Farm adjuster admitted she was at fault but blamed me for 35% of the accident and denied the claim. My insurance company is taking them to arbitration. Depending on the outcome, I'm as of now, out my deductible. I have filed a complaint with the state I live in. Very poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I was with Travels Insurance for years, but in my older age they would not give me better quote. I went online and enter my info before you know Rick Verst called me. His profile look good, but that doesn't mean anything. He was very pleasant and we agreed on the insurance policy. I didn't know he used Adobe and repeating I ask for my insurance car and copy of the policy by mail. Never received it. The few most later I had an accident and Rick Verst showed his true colors. I had to push my claim through. I didn't receive that service from State Farm and Rick Verst was to provide. Never do business with State Farm by computer; just simply go to an agent near you and you will receive excellent care.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

The entire process to deal with State Farm has been a disaster. First, State farm failed to inform me about the policy changes fee. I only found out three months later when I got a chance to check out by myself. Second, they only care about money but do nothing helpful on their customers. I am with State farm more than 3 years, when I changed another car within the last 0.5 year, the agent gave me a *** experiences while his job is supposed to help me, one of the most Loyal customers, to go through the pandemic.

They failed to explained to me how much they charged me per month, why they jack out the price ($150/ month with an year 2000 car), especially the most recent car accident is nothing to do with myself as a driver. I called/ emailed for more than five times for the past three months but they can never give me an accurate response even once. I actually hope someone can see all the negative reviews on this website and avoid this company for their best interest. Again, State farm has a big name but they only care about money. So think twice before you want to work with them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I was policyholder with this company until recently. Another of their customers dinged my door so I called in a claim through her policy and in return I got strong armed into dropping the claim. I was cordial and compliant through the whole process. When requested to submit pictures of the damage on my vehicle, I complied. They said they would get photos from the other person too. Couple days later, they strong armed me. I stayed calm and asked if they got any photos from the other person. The claims rep only listed the photos I submitted, ignored my question, and kept pushing me. I have since dropped this company for bad faith practices and strong arming. This company has forever lost my business and recommendations to friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I have always heard great things about State Farm insurance company. Until a recent experience with a State Farm customer. We were recently in a car accident with a person that is insured with State Farm. All of the facts and evidence shows that the insured was 100 % liable for the car accident. However State Farm is refusing for pay for the damages caused by their customer. This has left me with no other choice but to proceed with legal action against their customer. If that is how they treat their customers I am glad I am not insured by them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I just had to write this review! I live in Phenix City Alabama, and got a call from a Agent name Leah **, who only first called to give me a quote. She was amazing: 10's all across! So professional, including the other staff that was also there. I only wanted Car insurance, but by the way she helped me, changed my life. I now have car coverage, renters insurance, and life insurance. She had me definitely! I was interested in everything she said. Great conversation, amazing energy. I am so happy I came into the office, because I was offered more options than what I came in for. I don't feel that nothing is a scam. It's legit. I'm happy for that. I can sleep at night and don't have to stress about issues I now pay monthly for lol (if you get what I mean).. God bless you, I'm happy you called.. Thank you Leah. And that handsome Jason ** with that Jeep I OH SOOOO WANT LOL... SEE YOU GUYS????

Original review: July 28, 2020

I've appreciated the discount program Drive Safe & Save and the application that goes with it. The software provides accurate account of my driving showing where I could use improvement in my safe driving. I was disappointed the quote to bundle my motorcycle with my car wasn't beating my motorcycle coverage with Progressive. I haven't tried bundling my car with my Progressive bike policy but I may do that in the future unless State Farm gets more competitive with motorcycle rates. Other than that issue I'm very pleased with my State Farm representative and the great customer service he provides.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been with State Farm for 14 years. I am very satisfied with my overall insurance plan. My auto, home, & condo are all insured with State Farm. My rates are among the lowest. I qualify for every discount that State Farm offers. I have never had a homeowner's claim. Hopefully, I never will. I have had 1 auto claim when I was involved in a collision with a deer. The damage was minimal and State Farm responded beautifully. My agent here in Auburn, Alabama is the top rated agent in this area. I am really satisfied with my State Farm agent Kathy **. My hard work of maintaining my credit and being a safe driver has paid off.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I was checking my options for car insurance and I got a call from State Farm from a guy named Christian and I have never in my life had anyone worked so hard for me! If everyone that works at State Farm is as good at their job as Christian is then it has to be the most amazing company on the planet. I absolutely love this company! P.S. If Christian's boss is reading this that man deserves a raise and you should always do everything you can to keep him. He makes your company look good, I have complete trust in State Farm because of Christian!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

They offer more than just vehicle insurance, but roadside assistance is a plus, I haven't had to use this in a little while, let me tell you I have looked my keys in the car so many times, twice in one day also, had tires changed or aired up, jump starts, you name it. I have never had a pay out of pocket when I call them to get me help. If I am alone on the side of road they stayed on the phone until helped arrived, the tow truck was going be to long. The gal had called the sheriff's department. I kinda freaked when I seen the blue lights, I said, "Great now this on this dark road I have flashing lights," the gal said, "Calm down, I called the dept, you're out there all alone." Bless her heart. Health and accident hospital, hospital income, life insurance. All a plus when you have children. In Melanie's State Farm office all the gals are helpful great. I have not had a issue with not one claim!!

State Farm author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company offers customers — current and potential — tons of helpful educational resources via its website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible. A bevy of discounts allows customers to save on their premiums.

• Coverage and plans: Besides basic coverage, State Farm also has classic car insurance and antique car insurance. State Farm has options for travel expenses, rental car coverage and ride-share insurance.

• Cost: Full coverage from State Farm costs $1,500 a year, or $125 per month, on average. Minimal coverage is about $625 a year.

• Discounts: State Farm has discounts for avoiding accidents, safe driving courses, multivehicle policies, anti-theft devices, good students and good driving.

• Standout feature: State Farm’s Steer Clear program gives teenage drivers discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor