Find the Best Match

FIND MY MATCH
State Farm Auto Insurance
2.59/5

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

3241 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My Mom is 81 yrs old so I have been trying to handle this situation for her. I got a police report and submitted the claim before 10 AM the next morning because I couldn't get the report until 9 AM. I waited 3 days to find out when I could get the car in for repair. I called to find out they had done NOTHING. The individual I spoke with said we don't even have the police report and none of the 3 other drivers had called in, and I had provided them with all names and numbers of everyone involved at the time of calling it in!

So I sent over a copy of the police report and they said they will have to investigate the claim. I was like, "An officer has done that already. I need my car fixed." After threatening to get an attorney involved they finally said to take it in. Then they tried to get me to take it to a repair shop of their choosing and using reconditioned parts. I am still fighting about using OEM parts and they hung up on me and when I called back I asked for a manager and return call ASAP. That was yesterday and I am still waiting for that call! STATE FARM SUCKS!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I gave them a 1 only because there weren't any negative ratings. Have had all my insurance with SF for many years. Didn't mean anything. They blew me off. We called the agent's office and they told us they couldn't help. Referred us to a call center. So much for being there for us. The agent never called to check on me, I had to call him. NOT one follow-up call, but interestingly enough one of his employees asked us to come in to see if we needed to upgrade our insurance. Why upgrade something if they denigrate and deny claims you on the existing policies? I filed a claim and you would think I was a criminal.

They ask for the same documentation over and over and combine that with the numerous claims rep changes, so it's a merry go round designed to make you give up. They may or may not return your calls, but the end result is the same...YOUR CLAIM IS DENIED. Insurance isn't any good if they cheat you. I would suggest they quit getting their name on stadiums, denying claims and just pay the policyholders claims instead of taking advantage of them. You have been WARNED. Stay away!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have been an accident free State Farm insured for 25 years. Two days ago a lady hit me in a minor fender bender type accident. She filed a claim under my State Farm policy. State Farm paid her almost same day despite my heated objection. She hit me. Here is the deal. State Farm knows they can jack my rate to recover the claim amount, they know under California law I cannot change insurance companies for five years. I am locked in. Their claim agents get incentives for moving the paper. If they had denied the lady claim the paper would have around awhile. SUMMARY: THEY THREW ME UNDER THE BUS.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Seven weeks ago my home was invaded. My patio door kicked in, home ransacked. My truck parked in my garage loaded with antiques and other items inherited from my parents was stolen. I’m still waiting for an adjuster to come out... Seven weeks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This is the absolutely worst insurance company I’ve ever had to deal with. As of now I been in a car accident with supposedly one of their insurers. This guy insurance lapses and he currently doesn’t have coverage. This company told USAA they have to investigate that he doesn’t have coverage. This been since Sept 2. It does not take a whole darn week to figure out this man coverage. I hate State Farm. What does it take to say this guy doesn’t have insurance. How much investing you have to do about that. They don’t even qualify for one star.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have been with SF for over 30 years and things are not like they use to be. My daughter had a fender bender and we were advised by SF to take it to one of their recommended collision centers or we would risk the chance of the car being a total. I agreed and after 9 weeks of our car being at Caliber Collision and SF and Caliber advising us that our car would be ready in few weeks we are now finding out that our car is not going to be fixed and it will be a total. They could have told me that from day 1. State Farm is horrible. They don't return call and they have mismanaged this situation from the get go!! I am canceling my auto, home and life ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have had insurance with State Farm for over 35 years. I wish I could add up all the money I have paid them over the years. I have had a few claims over the years but was canceled. Last year after my daughter and son in law had a fender bender and since we are in the same household I was canceled. I guess State Farm needed my money to pay for their name to be on every sporting event wall, marquee, field and program. I sure don't think I was treated fairly. I tell everyone I know NOT to get insurance from State Farm.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I called for a quote. They quoted me 134.80 for liability. I checked my receipt. They charged $234.80. All my calls are recorded. I can prove what I was told vs what I was actually charged. When I called to cancel they told me I can't cancel within the 1st 60 days.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I've had the same experience that others have had with State Farm. My 23 year old son was hit in the back rear tire in a 5 miles hour speed zone. The collision bent the rear axle and the car was totaled. Again, this was in a 5 mile hour speed limit zone. State Farm could care less what the speed limit was. Obviously, the other person was exceeding the speed. The other car, 2015 Toyota Camry was totaled as well. How can two cars be totaled in one accident in a 5 miles hour speed zone. State Farm determined it was my son's fault. They never spoke to him. They never sent anyone out to look at the car. When I called to talk to them about it, they never responded. State Farm just does not care or want to spend the time to determine liability. Now, they have sent us to a risk pool. My family has over 85 years of combined driving experience and 1 accident. Thanks State Farm.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Use literally any other service. I have had State Farm for 11 years. They are never, EVER on your side and absolutely DO NOT fight for you. They literally let all of these no-name insurance companies walk all over them. They will call you and put you on the spot and try to get you to say the wrong thing. I know nothing about the mechanics of a car and I tell them that over and over again but they insist I answer questions I don't have the answer to and when you call a part the wrong thing, they then take that as facts and refuse to pay for it. I am a 27 year old female. I don't know the ins and outs of cars. Bottom line here is: FIND AN INSURANCE COMPANY THAT WILL ACTUALLY FIGHT FOR YOU. END OF STORY.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Let me start off by saying I have had insurance with State Farm at least as early as age 18. No late payments lapse or anything of that type. First claim was filed during hurricane Matthew for my vehicle. Which was a complete headache and took 2 months and was denied payment for damages and had to have the dealership fight it out with them about damages only for them to pay 2 months later and 1 month after I had spent 1,000 out of pocket on car rentals because they didn't want to pay. Then on July 12 this year my home was broken into and we basically got cleared out. Police were called. Insurance company was called. A recorded statement from Insurance was taken probably a week after incident only to be asked after the recorded statement if I had any proof of where I was at the time of booking in!

Although I was completely insulted I sent card transactions from that night over. Afterwards I sent all requested documents only to be told to send them again a week later. Given the run around. On week 4 they sent a home inspector to take pictures of where the items were stolen and point of entry which law enforcement already had and is kind of pointless anyway considering it's been a month and we painted cause they never mentioned a home Inspection. Thankfully our door hadn't been replaced yet. When I asked why I was being treated the way I was. They said it's a special investigation cause someone had to be there for a couple hrs to take 5 TV's a safe and a computer. My sister is a police officer and verified exactly as I expected that that was a bold face lie. And 20 mins tops would have allowed the to get away with my stuff.

So I informed State Farm I was going to hire an attorney if they kept trying to drag out my claim. Conveniently enough I got a new claim number that week and a check sent out for part of my claim. Which I made them put a stop on because I had signed up for EFT. Took 2 days for them to straighten that out. Now I've been waiting for 2 more weeks for an estimate on a gold 13 thousand dollar necklace that they don't want to pay for and I'm fed up! If these people haven't paid me by September 12th which is my 2 month mark. I'm hiring an attorney and seeing what I can do about everything down to the harassment and way I was treated. The people seem to be nice. But nice don't replace my 20+ grand worth of stuff of mine and my children's that they have tried their best to get out of paying for. These people are good until you need to file a claim.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We have used State Farm for over 30 years. We filed our first car claim in May 2018 and State Farm denied it having no proof, saying it was our word against the other driver. After the driver backed into my son's car she sat and waited while he got out of the car. She then gave him her D.L which he took a picture of. She then denied to State Farm that she hit him. State Farm refuses to explain why she would wait for my son and then give him her info if she hadn't hit him. They will not give us info on the damage on her car and my son's car to show that it couldn't have come from the accident. After many years paying State Farm we are really disappointed that they have done so little to investigate. We will be moving to a different insurance company. The big shame is that our agent is great. It is useless, however, to have a great agent if he is not backed up by the company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We have been good customers of State Farm for years. We spend a lot on premiums for auto, home and life insurance. My son was badly injured as a passenger in an auto accident and the driver at fault was also a State Farm customer. State Farm does not care at all! My son’s life or well being did not matter to them. He was an innocent victim whose life will never be the same. We had to hire a lawyer who thankfully helped us through the whole process. But we are beyond disgusted with State Farm and are in the process of finding a new company to switch to. In our dealings we have heard they are one of the worst insurances when it comes to helping victims. That is not a company I want to do business with! They are NOT a “good neighbor” at all!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Involved in a hit and run. A few days later elderly woman was found and confess to accident, she informed State Farm to pay all damages to us. State Farm lied and refused to pay us despite hard evidence, in a nutshell.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I would never recommend this company to anyone. My daughter was in a car wreck. I have custody of my daughter but not through the courts. Her father is barely around and State Farm has the nerve to put the father name on the check when I take care of her PERIOD! Now I have to somehow convince her father to try and come with me to cash the check. PURE**.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I switched to State Farm while I was in Tennessee. I was doing my internship in TN but still had New York License Plates. State Farm gave me TN insurance on NY plates. Due to this NY DMV suspended my license and registration plates since the day I moved to State Farm. State Farm never gave me a notification that my insurance is not compatible with NY plates. Since now I moved back to NY. I was pulled over and told I do not have valid driver's License & my plates were suspended. After checking with DMV, I was without insurance in DMV records ever since I moved to State Farm.

SO now I have to lose registration plates and my driver's license for FOUR MONTHS for a mistake done by State Farm. State Farm never even acknowledged what they did. Their Customer service was horrible. None of the agents cared what this is costing me and did not even try to help. The Complaint department coldly replied they cannot do anything about this. So I paid for the insurance all this time to know I cannot drive for FOUR MONTHS AND LOSE MY PLATES. Highly disappointed by State Farm. IF you take the policy online they just don't care about whatever might happen to you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I have had State Farm for 30 years. Homeowners, car. I recently put in a claim for leaking roof and from the roof leaking I have mold in my closet. The adjuster came out, was on our roof, saw the damage. Came back to us with a lowball figure... I am currently gathering estimates from roofers. Today I received a threatening letter. I have had three claims on my homeowners and not to have any more going forward. These claims including this latest are under 10k... and are old claims. I still do not have an estimate for mold remediation. I am filing a complaint with the NJ Dept of Banking and Insurance. I have had it with this company!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

What I am about to say has nothing to do with my State Farm local agent. They did a good job servicing my family’s auto insurance needs. I called into my local agent to request a simple proof of insurance card. She says “hey just a heads up a letter is being mailed to you for non-renewal on your family auto policy” (3 drivers). My son did have an accident that he was found at fault for technically and the insurance went up in a large way of course. But I was told that the 2 other accidents which were not his fault (one was an old lady hit him head on and the other he was rear-ended) were also the reason we were being dropped combined with a claim that I had 5 years earlier when we were with a different company - Allstate in a different state, which I was not at fault for (lady in a very dark heavily tinted Mercedes slammed her door open into my path).

The kicker is I didn’t even put in a claim for the damage on my vehicle yet this is being held against me (I ended up trading the car in but lost money because of the damage). Oh and that State Farm roadside assistance, when my wife got stranded on an major expressway with a flat and my son needed a jump start. Yeah that also went against us and there wasn’t even a tow truck involved. So that State Farm roadside program that you pay for every month. Yes use it and it’s going against your record. Sweet. These people are greedy "Like a Good Neighbor" I say like a "Like a Piece of Crap Neighbor" should be their new slogan!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We had State Farm for almost one year. During that time we had two claims, collision with a pole and hit a deer. We received a non-renewal letter because of two claims within a year. Terrible!! State Farm is not a good neighbor and is only there if they do not have to take care of your accidents. I guess someone has to pay for all their fancy commercials! Please beware. They will sweet talk but in the end State Farm looks out only for themselves.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We had the most ridiculous experience on the phone with a State Farm agent named Mary ID#**. We were on the phone for 2 1/2 hours and accomplished nothing. We gave her our personal information (names, cars, VIN, etc.) at least 5 times each (and that's being nice). She repeated the same questions so many times we thought this was a genuine prank. The biggest mistake of the call was, she had opened individual policies for the 3 cars we are insuring instead of 1 on my wife's original policy. Which my wife and I caught because the price was so much higher than usual.

At the end of it all when we went to pay she said the system was having problems and we wouldn't be able to pay at this time, (but honestly I think there was more to it which is OK. If you don't want to insure us fine but don't waste 2 1/2 hours of "MY LIFE"). The level of incompetency was so high I can't believe that State Farm would allow an employee so undertrained in her job to assist customers. If we weren't in the boat we are in we would be leaving State Farm immediately. This phone call is the end to a very long string of mishaps that we have endured at the hands of this company. We will never recommend this company to anyone EVER! We will absolutely be leaving ASAP!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was just declined for my auto insurance renewal at State Farm. State Farm can insure who they choose in compliance the regulations, and there is certainly no violation here. However, a prospective customer might want to include these items: I've been insured by State Farm for over 40 years, and with business properties, home and rental policies, business vehicle fleets and family vehicles, I would estimate I've supplied over a quarter of a million buck in premiums to the company. My driving record is clean, going back decades. This year, I had two parking lot rubs that cost State Farm about five hundred bucks in claims. Total. I have no other claims, again, going back decades. Lesson learned.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Got rear-ended in a one lane construction zone on 35w (freeway) in the middle of nowhere, on a 90 degree August day. I wanted to get off the side of the road first, then deal with all the other details. I have emergency towing and roadside assistance on my policy. Long story short the trooper had to call me a tow truck despite talking to various State Farm reps (I was put on hold and transferred around several times) for more than an hour. None called a tow, they were asking policy related questions instead. The kicker is that most of them asked me if I was in a safe situation and I flat out told them NO! I'm on the side of the freeway in 90 degree heat with people whipping by at 70 mph!! 3 separate vehicles hit the construction barrels blocking the other lane while I was sitting there trying to simply get towed off the road... NOT SAFE!! I think I'm going to dump these losers!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My daughter was rear ended by a State Farm insured driver. After 2 and a half weeks State Farm finally accepted full liability for the accident. Our car was considered a total loss. My daughter is a working college student and in order not to lose her job she had to rent a car while waiting on State Farm to hear from everyone involved in the accident even though it was a rear end collision and the State Farm admitted fault. When it came time to be reimbursed for the rental State Farm was sent a bill for 656.85 however they sent us a check for only 415.35.

I called to discuss and was told that since my daughter was not on the title they don’t owe her anything and the car rental company charged a young driver fee since my daughter is only 21. State Farm said they also would not pay lost wages unless my daughter had been injured and couldn’t work. So because we decided not to get an attorney and sue State Farm they only paid three quarters of our car rental and paid off my car, nothing extra. So for a wreck that was not my daughter's fault. We now have to eat the additional 200 plus dollars and we have no down payment for another vehicle. They did not care about anything other than paying the minimum. I would never use State Farm for my personal insurance and I hope to never get into an accident with someone insured by State Farm.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

One year ago, I received my new premium -due notice on my auto. There was a form letter included stating that due to a recent credit bureau report from Lexus Nexus, my premium increased. I have a higher than average rating - from 815 to 869. (The latter from Citibank where I maintain a credit card) I requested a credit report from Experian or Equifax and saw nothing that really indicated a problem. I determined that is was simply because they discovered I had reached the age where they think we're risky drivers. I have no claims, no tickets, etc.

Then in March, the same letter appeared in my homeowners' insurance premium notice. I called the agent and he can't explain it. He said my car insurance premium decreased. I informed him it was likely due to depreciation. He disagreed. I have no way of knowing whether a quote I received from another company has also received a faulty credit report based upon State Farm's rating of me. The agent said premiums are based upon several factors. I know one of them is the theft factor. However the letters stated this is based upon a credit report.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

State Farm currently uses Agero, formerly Cross Country Automotive Group, for towing services. They dispatched a local tow truck driver who ruined my steering. State Farm and Agero both refused to accept responsibility and would not cover the damage. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had a very small fender bender. No one came to look at my car or ask me for details. They immediately blamed me even though my car had no marks at all while his had obvious damage which I suspect involved fraud. I was treated with cold disrespect. After 40 years with them, I am looking for new insurance.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

State Farm kept increasing my rates. I talked to the local agent about it and was told that everybody was being increased in the state. Called around and got better rate with another insurance company for $255 per month cheaper. I have been trying to get my State Farm policies cancelled and the agent is always out of the office and nobody else in the office can handle it. I have called the 800 number customer service twice and they say they can't cancel it because it has to be done by the local agent. It's been a week now and my State Farm policies hasn't been cancelled. I'm tired of dealing with State Farm and just want to be done with them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Let's start with switching to State Farm was supposed to save me money, instead it's costing me over $500.00. I switched policies because the Perry ** offered me a lower rate on my auto insurance. I thought it was weird that they said I had to get life insurance on my daughter in order to get a discount but I went with it. They were supposed to have me set up with Homeowners, Auto and for some reason a life insurance policy for my daughter... I got a letter stating that my mortgage hasn't received insurance info from my carrier. When I called their 1-800 number the guy said I didn't have Homeowners with them. Then I found out they canceled my underinsured motorists clause on my policy.

The billing amount is inconsistent and the date my account was debited is inconsistent. So I'm set to pay around $300.00 per month and then I get a bill for over $520.00. I tried calling the agent but they were closed so I left a message for them to call me back to discuss the bill. They never called... But I was offered a lower insurance quote with everything the prior insurance covered and more for LESS, so I went with the new insurance company. Since the State Farm bill was due on June the 28th, I canceled my policy on June 21st. Then on July 1st my account was debited my account for the over $520.00 amount. Now they are telling me that they only owed me $70.00... I now know why I don't use State Farm Insurance.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Yes they were good when there was an accident last year. Yes they seem to have good prices on some of their products if you group your home/life/auto altogether. My concern is that when we purchased a used car to replace one that had been stolen the agent actually told me "it is statistically proven that when people replace a vehicle the incidents of accidents go up." Therefore the insurance is almost twice as much for what they say is the first year? Really? Then the agent tells me in a note that he did not explain that very well. LOL.

What American does not realize that statistics can be twisted to say whatever your company wants them to say? So I paid the bill and less than a week later I get an additional bill relating to the same vehicle with no explanation. It being very early (pre-coffee) in the morning paid the bill. Only to receive yet another bill relating to the same vehicle. This time I sent a note advising I do not pay bills for unknown reasons. Thus I am not convinced that: The agent knows what he/she is doing? OR The agent gave me a lower price (because I complained wholeheartedly about the high price to begin with) and then added the rest in chunks later OR it begs the question... Is it time to change to a more local agent I can visit in person?

Original review: July 31, 2018

Had a flood in my basement due to a malfunction in my sprinkler valve. Within 2 hours the window well filled with water which then flowed into my basement through the window. I called my agent for guidance and they sent a water mitigation company out. Never mentioning that the claim could be denied. I opened the claim the same day, spoke to a claims person the next day who gave me my deductible and stated claim should be covered. Claim adjustor called almost a week after the incident and said this type of claim would be denied but she would come out to take pictures. Came out, took pictures and then denied claim. I asked my agent's office for second opinion or adjustor.

Didn't hear anything until my agent called to say it was still denied. First time my agent had called through the whole process. Denial letter that says flooding due to wear and tear of valve (6 year old home) and was underground water that came through foundation and window, was subterranean seepage. Seems to me everyone had already made up their mind that this would be denied before ever hearing or seeing the facts. If I had known this would be denied, I would have done the cleanup myself. Now I am left with a bill in the thousands of dollars, not to mention the damages. Not sure why we pay for insurance when nothing is covered. The customer service I have experienced was terrible. My advice to anyone insured with State Farm, if you have a flood, stop and take pictures before you try to stop the water. You will have to prove what happened but they do not. Their denial is solely based on their opinion, not facts.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky