Call toll free*
Based on 425 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Last updated: May 25, 2018

3092 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

State Farm does not respond in a timely manner to auto repairs. I have waited for a week to get approval for minor repairs to my car. They do not call me nor leave phone numbers for local help. They only share a 800 number for claims that gets the customer nowhere. They give their standard runaround speech and still do nothing. I spend over $6000 a year with State Farm. Surely there are insurance companies that would do something for that amount of money. Mayhem is all they sell apparently.

Original review: May 25, 2018

State Farm issued my auto policy $50/month MORE THAN QUOTED despite even confirming the accuracy of all my information with licensed rep. Because of the bait and switch, I cancelled my policy but a week later they STILL DRAFTED THE MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT. This is NOT a good way to conduct business, nor do I understand how that's legal. What a terrible experience. ALSO FOR THE RECORD- I used to work there and saw this happen all the time, along with a bunch of other shady practices (which is why I quit). I guess it's my own fault for being so naive as to think they changed their ethics. Don't be as stupid as me and get insurance somewhere else.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Didn't realize I was leasing a low mileage vehicle from my insurance company! Every year I get a notice to verify mileage driven, with 12,000 miles being the national average. This year I was busy and didn't fill out their form, and I get a notice that my rates will be increased for failure to reply. I take the form to the office (I drove 7,286 miles) last year, but the form "asks" to estimate this year's mileage. I put down 10,000 miles which is below the national average, and I'm told that my rates would be jacked up because it exceeds the 7500 mile limits for my "low mileage rate"...which isn't that low considering I have bundled home, 2 cars, and motorcycle. At least she says she will take it back down to the 7500 miles mark.

As many others on here, I have been with SF for 30 years with no claims, tickets, accidents. I asked when this processes started because I have never had to go through this until I moved to Nevada. She replied, "well some things change"... I agreed with her and said "some things will change on my side as well"... Looking for new company, even it comes out lateral payments. So tired of being bond to insurance companies.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I've been a member with State Farm for over a decade, but the way they handle customers is EXTREMELY unprofessional and unorganized. I had an auto accident that resulted in total loss, but when trying to evaluate my car's worth they kept adding cars that are significantly of less value to lower the final price. On the first evaluation, they compared my car to soft top convertibles which are thousands of dollars less than the hardtop convertible that I had. They also omitted optional part that costs over $3000.

On the second evaluation they compared it to two hardtop convertibles, but they threw in another soft top convertible again. Two of these three cars were also corporate fleet vehicles that are generally significantly less in price. On third and final evaluation they it compared to hardtop convertibles, but threw in another corporate fleet vehicle in the comparison. It was taking way too long, so I decided to accept their evaluation.

They sent out a check to me many weeks later, but they decided to send me over $1,000 less than what they told me. They apologized for the "mistake" and sent me a new check, but they decided to write down wrong name this time. They apologized again and told me a new check will be sent. It feels like they are deliberately toying with their own customer, and if they are not it shows how incompetent they are. Once things wrap up I will switch over to another insurance company for sure.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I had an accident last June 2017, was not my fault. I was rear ended and the force was so hard I ran into the car in front of me. The lady who hit me told State Farm that someone hit her and took off and didn't have any info on that driver. They did not send an adjuster to her house to take pictures of her vehicle because she refused to send her pictures. It took them almost two months to finally see it was her fault. No damage was done to her car. She lied about being hit in the back. Now I have been in another accident as of May 12. The lady hit me by leaving her right lane into my lane and hit me but she said it was my fault.

State Farm is my insurance. They are suppose to fight for their customers (me). They have accused me 100% because the lady lied about where she was as her story is fabricated so they believed her over me. My story has never changed and I’m still 100% at fault. Even before the investigation they said it was my fault. I’m done with this company. Anyone who reads my review think twice before you choose State Farm because they do not support their customers/clients. They are not on your side. I am switching insurances as I am typing this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: May 16, 2018

I have been with many different companies. Any claim I have filed with State Farm has been taken care of promptly with ZERO hassle. Wife rear ended another car at a stoplight... no issues. Rock cracked the windshield... no issues. Roadside assistance used... no issues whatsoever. If you want to pay just a tad more and be worry free about your insurance, State Farm will have your back when needed.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I've had State Farm insurance on my car since I was 16 years... State Farm is a reputable, reliable insurance company. It has great customer service and you just don't hear horror stories about them trying to get out of paying for damages or repairs. BUT the rates have gotten ridiculous. The older I get, the less affordable State Farm is. I am exploring other options currently.

Original review: May 16, 2018

State Farm is a good company but lately we are being penalized for driving our car over their acceptable mileage which is ridiculous. Our son switched from our family plan to Liberty Mutual and got a better deal. On the other hand, my agent is great and have been with him for many years but some of the office staff need to work on being more efficient.

Original review: May 15, 2018

The company agent at State Farm was very incompetent and inconsistent in how they handled the accident. The agent was belligerent and unconcerned with the severity of damage their policy holder had placed on my family. I was hit by one of their most influential drivers and never was compensated for my vehicle. They never sent an adjuster and never went to the accident scene. The lady was under the influence of all types of pills falling out of her vehicle. The police report stated it was her fault and they just raked it under the rug.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I joined State Farm in New York and was pleased with the service. After five years I moved to Maryland and transferred my policy and the Agent and staff were really friendly and offered more benefits for my car than other insurances as I reviewed other insurances at that time for the cost. Filing a claim with them was easy. I had a flat tire on the highway. I called State Farm and provided detailed information & they sent help quickly. My car was repaired and I had a rental car. I also had an injury and State Farm sent me a check for time lost from work as they went after the other car insurance. The Representative has top notch customer service, I receive periodic calls checking on me and insurance comfort, and monthly news letters. I have been with State Farm for at least 37 years with a wonderful relationship and great service.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Customer service drives all business. When you pay attention to that business will keep their customers. I am very pleased with State Farm's customer service. They’re very good when filing a claim. Have not had an issue that was too hard that could not get solved in a short period of time. I also like that as the customer my voice is being heard.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have State Farm Auto Insurance for years, and have always been a satisfied customer. I discovered they paid a minimum for towing, but allowed my car to sit on a lot that I had to pay $100 day for. I spent time trying to reach someone just to check on the claim. I think it depends on the agency. Some take time out to talk to the customer on a regular basis, others only call when you try to contact them. For instance if you want to non-renew, a suggestion would be to send a letter two months before non-renewal, so the customer can find someone else.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have had State Farm for over 30+ years and have always been very pleased with the quality of service I have received. They are fast and courteous when I file a claim.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I was with State Farm many years for home and auto. They canceled my policy after filing a claim and I encountered rude people at all levels. I then had to pay 13.65 when I picked my car up because they replaced a tire and this was the estimate that I had to pay for the wear and tear on previous tire. They told me they only had to put the car back as it was prior to accident. After so many years of not filing a claim and when I need them, unprofessional, uncaring and hardly seems fair to the consumer.

Original review: May 13, 2018

State Farm practices personal customer service. They have office people who are knowledgeable and help you! My calls to agent are answered by a live person and not to vm. I can ask for repair shop names and people to speak with. I had road service in out of way location on Sat AM. Fast response, repair, then reimbursed expense Monday.

Original review: May 13, 2018

An insurance company should be judged on how they handle claims rather than the annual premium. Most individuals choose an insurance company on the cost of the annual premiums, or based upon statements made in a TV or radio commercial. That is the worse way to choose! We chose on the basis of how they handled claims for our friends or relatives and we are happy we decided on that basis. The claim process was hassle free. We had to bring the car to an authorized repair shop, but they did excellent work. Most important, they pay claims.

Original review: May 12, 2018

State Farm is a large company that likes to take advantage of its customers by refusing to pay claims without legal process. I have been a good customer. Payments always paid on time. I have never been the cause of an accident, Still my premiums are too high and although I pay for uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage. State Farms refuses to pay both portions of the claim. However, they do not refuse their high insurance premium. I feel and think insurance companies are allowed to discriminate against customers based solely upon their zip code. This is simply another way of profiling.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I would rate State Farm highest. Our car was broken into and some electronics items were stolen. State Farm made the filing a claim process very simple and straight forward and we received our check soon after. This took place over 10 years ago, so with the way companies are looking to their share holders instead of serving their customers, I am not sure this ease of filing a claim or getting reimbursement would be the same, nowadays. Sad, but true. Also for knowing that this company is a member of ALEC and supports the far conservative right's extreme agenda, just so their company can do what it wants. I am not singling State Farm out, but this is the integral reason we opted to cancel a life insurance policy with them.

Original review: May 12, 2018

VERY Serious lack of customer loyalty. Age discrimination??? Our age is 70 & 72! THE AGENT FINALLY ADMITTED IT WAS THE MAIN REASON WE WERE DROPPED!!! We were also informed our rates would have continued to rise because of this! I am FURIOUS!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

A polite and courteous very professional service is offered. They were 'there' for us when needed and were neither pro nor con with the accident and the towing. State Farm have not argued over two claims. Always available 24/7. Fender bender, two vehicles, black ice. No one at fault. A slow speed collision. Airbags did not deploy. Police informed. No arguments were made against the claim by the insurer, compensation was made. And second claim was towing after a systems failure and a 'no start,' situation. Tower arrived very promptly, tower compensated by State Farm on site. (Via phone.)

Original review: May 11, 2018

State Farm is a very reliable & trustworthy company. I have known the local agent for over 40 years and have always liked him personally. He is a very thoughtful person, and represents his company very well.

Original review: May 11, 2018

State Farm is a great insurance company. They have been around for years and honor their policies. Even when you switch agents they do the same thing and give the same information. They are great to work with and professional. They are extremely easy to file a claim with. You can do it online, over the phone or in the office. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. I don't like who they referred me to for flood insurance. They have always paid on the chains I submit as promised.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Such a great experience! Tiffany ** with the Scott Weer agency at State Farm helped me to secure all of my insurance needs. She definitely went above and beyond my expectations. I was very impressed by her attention to detail and the level of personal service she provided, since I’m known to ask a ton of questions. ;) She was extremely patient and knowledgeable and I would highly recommend her to anyone!

Original review: May 10, 2018

My reviews are only for a current accident and one previous accident. I have been with State Farm for about 30yrs. I have been relatively happy until one really bad year when everyone in my family was involved in a car accident. That said, that's why we have insurance and have been paying for 30 years for Home, Auto (6 vehicles presently) all with State Farm. My previous accident will explain why I am having such a big issue with SF currently.

My Audi A4 "hit" a Honda pilot. The A4 is smaller, lower and I was barely moving when I slammed on brakes while veering right. We couldn't tell if we hit the car because there was no BOOM, just sound of brakes slamming. The car pulled forward and the lady admitted she had no damage from my car. I took detailed photos of her car and my car who had only damage from hitting her tow hitch. I had a perfectly shaped square on my bumper popped in that was not centered, but offset to the driver side of the bumper.

She had damage that she said from backing into something another time. Her husband got involved and blamed me for the damage that my car couldn't even reach that high and far left on their car. I sent all pics, I went to a dealership and took measurements of where the other cars damage was and the measurements of where my damage was. SF paid for their car. They were State Farm customers also. I was pissed. I took a loss on my car because our family had too many accidents and then they just give away money to this family that was lying. It took me 6 mos. of battling SF before I finally spoke to a manager who apologized that his team did not do their job and all of the pics and measurements that I took, clearly proved I didn't damage their car. Yea! Good to go right? NO!

Present day, my 21 yr old son was driving my husband's car, with me in the passenger seat in the city. We just left a vet appt. and were heading home. We decided to go a different direction, so I tell my son to turn left at this street and we will go around the block to go find the business we decided to go to. All of a sudden, right when we both realized that my son shouldn't turn because it was a one way, a car slammed into us. A car that was either following too closely and swerved to miss rear ending us, or was busy texting, or most likely was passing us because she was in a hurry. But it was at the same time that we were going to start to turn. BUT didn't turn. We took pics. We listened to the lady scream at us because she was on her lunch break and she was in a hurry and asking us why we turned? Meanwhile her story changes. She tells SF and the cops(?) that we were either parked or turning right to park in the middle of a 3-way intersection.

She said we were in the far parking lane pulling into her lane. Yet, we were driving and she was in the on-coming passenger lane when she was honking and I looked over my shoulder at her. So at first State Farm tells us it is going to be word vs. word. I am not happy with this, because the woman is clearly lying. She is a State Farm customer also. Apparently, State Farm doesn't want to thoroughly do investigations when it's a SF vs SF claim. It's easier for them to make a quick judgment, right or wrong, and then hopefully no problems or hopefully their customers aren't bright enough to question. I was livid. I told them and emailed them and said I wanted to speak to a Manager and I didn't want to wait 6 mos for that to happen. My next phone call was in March/April. (Dealing with an injury myself and a dog with ongoing medical and injury herself, so I was busy.)

I was told that the accident, both cars, were placed against my husbands insurance. Again, livid. So I again, explain everything, and the SF guy was surprised to hear that we were the car in front of the other car and we were being blamed for both. He said he would talk to his manager and call me back soon. Not 6 mos later. Of course no call. May 8th, I call again, and just ask to talk to a manager. And this lady was just obstinate. That no one at State Farm would make a mistake. That my car has been fixed. (I said no it hasn't and they made the check payable to the wrong business) That the decision has been made and it is word vs. word (again). And that they aren't going to change the decision. I again, said, "All I want to do is talk to a manager." She said, "A manager has already reviewed the case and they are not changing the decision."

I didn't call there to talk to anyone but a manager. I said, "Are you saying that you are not going to allow me to talk to a manager?" She said, "no." That she would send a message. May 10th, I call again. I again immediately ask for a manager. The lady said she sees I called in a couple of days ago and that I am calling because I disagree with the decision? I said. "Yes, among other things." (The other things... My car has not been fixed. And the check was made payable to the wrong business.) She puts me on hold while I wait for a manager to answer. A lady answers, with a claims specialist title. I said, "Does that mean you are a manager or a claims specialist?" She said she is not a manager. That I have already spoken in great length to the lady on the 8th. That she put in the comments about the call that I am a customer who just wants to get her way.

I said WHAT??? That I want to just get what I want? I said, "NO!" I said that I have been asking to speak with a manager since February. And no one has called me. She repeated that the lady 2 days prior noted that I said I was going to get the 911 tapes and go back out to the accident site. I said, "Clearly there is incompetency because why would I need to go back out to the accident scene." That they are the ones who needs to go back to the accident scene to see that what the lady is saying happened couldn't have happened. That I have already gone through this once before with State Farm, and I just want them to do a proper investigation and get the cameras from the intersection we had passed through, and the 911 tapes. They said they cannot get access to either one of those.

So it is essentially a 50-50 chance if everyone decides to lie about what they did at an accident scene. It doesn't matter about recreating the accident scene, or getting live footage. They just want everyone to zip their lips and let State Farms incompetent employees make decisions that affect probably a large proportion of innocent parties because the propensity of people trying to lie their way out of their responsibilities in an accident.

Why should that go against an innocent party. What is the most irritating is that their employees had the nerve to tell me that I am only trying to get what I want. Well if I am the innocent party, would that be wrong? It has happened to me before. SF isn't infallible. Yet a customer of 30 years, they have the nerve to say that to me after my experience with them. After 3 months of trying to just get a manager to give me a callback. I have told them I am going to now call every day until they have a manager call me back. I will post more later as this evolves...if a manager ever decides to call me back...to treat me like a real customer who has been loyal to their company.

Original review: May 10, 2018

They are do take care of your claims in a reasonable amount of turnaround time on claims, but they are getting to be too expensive. I pay 250 a month full coverage. I even have my homeowners with them and have been a long time customer. We'll be checking out other insurance prices.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have both car and home insurance with State Farm and everything I have ever filed with them went efficiently. I was in a fender bender. Contacted the insurance company. They came and looked at the car and the claim went very smoothly. I've also had some home claims with them when my basement flooded and that was also a very smooth transaction.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We have one year's experience with State Farm which has been good. They seem to be willing to handle any situations locally, although we did not have any situations that needed to be handled.

Original review: May 9, 2018

State Farm's price is competitive but they screw you over when you really need them. They didn’t pay up or help w/ travel expenses as they say they would till I got someone else involved to help me! A pain in the butt. Don’t bother getting roadside protection especially if you travel far distances. State Farm doesn’t really care about their customers' needs. They care about how much money they have to put out on a claim! I’d go w/ some other company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I've had a car insurance with State Farm and now I've transferred a title from my name to my mother's since I no longer need this car. I explained everything to an agent, she seemed to understand everything I've explained correctly, gave me an estimate of $197 for my mother's insurance now since she also has a house insured with them. Now, when it comes to getting a proof of insurance they keep sending it to me with my name on it rather than mom's although Karen from Allen Park, MI branch charged me for a NEW policy.

Another woman, Gloria **, now states that it's impossible to do this because the addresses are different and asserts I have to pay for it although now the car is registered under my MOM'S name and she cannot get a proof of insurance to go to a DMV. I'm extremely disappointed with the service. If you are reading this, please stay away from either this company or at least from this branch in Allen Park, MI they are not qualified for this kind of work and don't deserve to be paid for such a terrible customer service!

Original review: May 8, 2018

No customer service from State Farm. When I was rear-ended and needed assistance in getting the police report, making a claim with the other driver's insurance company and even just reporting the accident as required by my policy, I was told to handle it all myself.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky