Compare Quotes and Save

State Farm Auto Insurance
3.80/5
Based on 1,473 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

3473 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

I switched to this agency (Cherie ** - State Farm Insurance Agent) after being with Allstate for all my life i.e. over 20yrs. They quoted me about the same rate as Allstate with a promise that as I become older customer, my premium would go down. I thought it does not hurt trying them if the rates are about the same. I received the confirmed quote, policy etc via email, but after a month they increased the premium by 50% saying that this is from the Corporate office and there is nothing they could do.

They suggested that they could cancel the policy if this new rate was not acceptable to me and they even offered to coordinate with Allstate to make sure the policy was easily transitioned to Allstate. So, I cancelled the policy with this agency (and State Farm) and switched back to Allstate. However, when I received the refund from this agency, they deduced about 15% amount saying this is a cancellation charge, which they did not mention before cancelling the policy. I was fooled to work with them by seeing great reviews here. Not sure if all these reviews are real. But to me, this agency is just pathetic. I wish I could give them a 0 star here. I would never go to them or State Farm and would advise everyone to be cautious when working with this agency.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I filed a claim yesterday, because a lady backed into me. She gets out of the car, saying she is so sorry she did not see me and she will pay for the damage. Sounds straight cut to me who is at fault. Especially, since she rammed my car!!! I have pictures of her paint all over my red car to prove it!!! No investigation was done, they automatically believed her lies. When I spoke to a a guy named James, he yelled at me!!! He said I was at fault and he belittled me, I was so angry I told him I was getting a lawyer and hung up! I will be switching companies ASAP. IT is all lies, they do not care anything about the policyholder! I may in fact, end up getting a lawyer. I don't appreciate the other lady lying and if it was legal, I would punch her in the face!!!! Do not go with State Farm! Yes, they maybe cheaper but I am learning now that it was not worth it. Now I am paying for it!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

HIGHLY recommend not having State Farm for insurance. SCAM ARTISTS!! Not only have they billed me twice in a month, twice! I can never get ahold of my agent and have to always call the 24/7 hotline to get my insurance issues resolved. Last Friday I got a bill saying that they were now charging me $500 a month for insurance when I've been paying $218 dollars steadily for over 6 months now with no warning at all! NO email, NO calls, and NO letters in the mail stating they were going to change my rates. When I called State Farm they told me they couldn't do anything about the price even though I had been a loyal customer for a little over 2 years now and when I threatened to switch they offered to help me do so. I've already switched to another insurance company with better coverage and added renters insurance that's $300 cheaper than what State Farm was trying to charge me...????

Original review: April 22, 2019

This insurance company is awful. They will tell you they will pay the full amount of of the claim and then proceed to wiggle out of their obligation as soon as the bill comes due. Lying, dishonesty and deception is there. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. They will screw you over, plain and simple. Save yourself many hours and heartache and go with a legitimate company.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My husband and I moved to a new state and during a short period of time switched to new jobs, we're looking for a new home, and had our first child. Life was crazy starting all over. We moved all of our insurance policies over to Liberty Mutual for the convenience of having everything consolidated to one company and with a hope to save money. During this transfer we thought a document of cancellation was sent to State Farm, only to find out 8 months later, it had not. They still charged us the premium for the year even though we had a declarations page to prove we had insurance elsewhere. They have a policy that states they can only backdate insurance 30 days from cancellation (BE AWARE).

I feel this is unjust and protects the multi million dollar company rather than hard working families. Their interest will never be with the client and only with themselves. It should not be legal to be charged insurance by two different companies, given you have proper documentation to prove this. I took my complaint to the highest level with no resolution from State Farm. Yes on our part we accept we should have followed up but life happens. We should have been protected from this especially considering we had no claims on the property. I will never use their services again, nor would I ever recommend this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: April 19, 2019

Do yourself a favor and stay away from State Farm Auto Insurance at all costs. And, every day pray to God that you don't get into an accident with someone who's covered by State Farm. State Farm pulls out all types of tricks to avoid paying when their clients are liable. They screw both their clients and those who get into an accident with their clients.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Been a customer for years. Since Mel ** left the local office has deteriorated. Just got a TEXT of all things for me to call. State Farm wants to drop my auto for no reason and actually thinks I would keep my homeowners policy with them. I have a perfect driving record but just regaining employment and apparently this is not worthy of State Farm.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The rates are not the best and the service is also lacking. In the last 10 years I have been with USAA and Allstate and both of them where very helpful and took good care of me and my family. They removed all stress and handled everything for us. So far I have been fighting with State Farm on every bit of this accident that was caused by the driver of Liberty Mutual. They have been telling me to basically handle everything on my own. I have to call the shops and pass their message on my own and I have to call and follow up with Liberty Mutual.

All the loss of value claims I was told I have to do on my own. They have nothing to do with it, for a company who runs a huge commercial campaign "Like a good neighbor State Farm is here". They definitely are not here for me to help me through this stressful process. Once my insurance is up with State Farm I am going back to USAA or Allstate. The thing that really took me over the top was when I called my agent and he told me I have to do this all my self that they don't do the work for me.

Original review: April 10, 2019

A man that has State Farm insurance pulled out in front of me this weekend. I called the police and the state trooper that showed up took statements and told me that I was not at fault. The other driver, who openly admitted he was at fault, filed his claim to State Farm as did I with my own company. State Farm called me and told me they needed a recorded statement to process my claim. I found out from my insurance agent that they used the statement to wiggle their way out of paying for my full damages. I was asked if I was familiar with the area in which the accident happened, which was less than a mile from my home. I said yes and they are using that against me.

The other driver and I both had pulled our cars off the road after the accident (before the trooper showed up), which they are also using against me. They do not even have a copy of the police report yet and they’ve determined that they are only accepting 80% liability! I have to pay 20% because of the aforementioned questions and the fact that an unidentified neighbor was backing out of his driveway, blocking the view of my car from their car moments before the collision! I am disgusted that State Farm is not fairly handling my claim. Their goal isn’t to do what’s right, they are just out to pay as little as possible and increase their yearly profit. I will be submitting my claim through my own company and they can battle it out in court.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I've been with State Farm for about 6 years. Every year, they raise the price. I never had any accident for the last 13 years, but the price was so high. Every time I asked if they could do anything with reducing the price, they always said that they already gave discount, and also they said that the state raised the price. The price was $102/month (full coverage) for only for 1 car. That was a bit too pricey. So, I quit from them and I got better deal at USAA for $199/month for 4 cars (2 full coverage & 2 only liability). I'm very happy with my new insurance at USAA now.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We had a smooth experience with our new agent, Don **. Afterward, we were motivated to change our car insurances x3 from years of high pricing with Liberty Mutual and no contact by our agent for years. So, we are hoping to be part of the State Farm family. Thank You. Mr. Don **. Sincerely, Mr. Ronald & Malai

Original review: April 5, 2019

My car was stolen on March 18th, my premium was due on the 12th but did not get paid til the 19th til we got paid. We have been with State Farm for over 30 years, they denied the claim. The adjuster and his manager both stated I could not appeal to anyone else and their decisions were final and do not both going to the state! My agent has tried to help us, but State Farm just wants your money. They took my money after my car was stolen, WHY!!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

A guy who hit my car holds State Farm insurance. When the accident happened, the police officer arrived to the site in a couple of mins and investigated the accident for a couple of hours. He talked to both drivers and inspected both vehicles on sites. The police believes other driver violated the rule and caused the accident. He said I need to call his insurance State Farm to file a claim.

I immediately called State Farm and sent the photo and police inspection video to State Farm. In the video the police officer says other driver got citation because he violated the traffic rule and I did nothing wrong. State Farm agent called me and told me the video was not recorded for the moment when the accident was happening and she would not think what the police officer saying helps her decision. Then she told me that she made her decision that I was driving without lookout so I should share 35% loss of the accident. The State Farm claim specialist is not fairly handling my claim. I agree State Farm is the most unethical company. They have the same goal to pay as little as possible.

Original review: March 29, 2019

State Farm by-and-large provided the worst auto insurance I have ever had. Their staff was rude, unresponsive, and ignorant to say the least. There was little communication or follow-up. I do not feel that they listened to or took my side into account AT ALL when making their decisions in claims. I even went on to complain to a supervisor and division head after such poor experience. After speaking with the supervisor/division head I removed all of our service. One of the accidents I was found to be "at fault" even had my name spelled incorrectly on the paperwork throughout the entire thing -- 13 pages?!?! I gave up trying to correct their mistakes and changed providers as soon as I could. I am now with AAA and would NEVER EVER recommend someone return to State Farm. I rarely give bad reviews, but my God. Never want someone to be treated the way my family and I were.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My mom was driving and while turning to go into a parking lot from a very busy street her steering wheel froze with the rest of her van and smoke was coming from the steering wheel. So like any other human being we both jumped out of the van. So she calls her emergency roadside assistance, after what seemed like forever she finally got through to a real life human being. The person she was speaking to ask for her policy number and she tried to explain to them that it was in the van that was in the middle of traffic and she could not get it. They were rude and told her the wait. Would be 1 hour then after that 45 minutes then after that 15 minutes. This was 4 in the afternoon and they still didn't come for the car which was in a busy Street.

My cousin later that night before 11 had to call their AAA. She is diabetic and when she told them how long she was waiting they told her to go ahead and go home and to leave the keys in the van and they would tow it. Her phone was dying. This service is horrible. A very horrible experience and a paying customer for years. State Farm needs to get it together. And why in the world would anybody want to get a text message when they are calling for EMERGENCY roadside assistance. Please change your setup.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was married. State Farm allowed my wife at the time to set up my homeowner's insurance in her name as primary insured. Home was only in my name in deed and title and on loan and mortgage with escrow was in my name alone. The agent refused to allow the policy that I paid for to be in my name. I had to take it to another office and agent.

My credit had been destroyed by my ex as she took over approx. $163,000 in credit cards and loans in my name. County Attorney refused prosecution and courts actually forced me to pay 100% of insurance claims checks from State Farm to my ex on forged loans as well as the destruction to my credit. Due to credit destruction I had to stay with State Farm as I couldn't take a hit on credit again and rates would have been horrible as today's American courts actually allow, support and reward fraud if it is a woman doing it to a husband. Even when they commit perjury on parts and admit parts. Of course this could be just Montana.

So after recovering after being court ordered to pay off a loan against my house taken in my name by my ex... yes I was ordered to pay the loan off or lose my house when a loan was taken out against and forged. With that recovery I got rid of a car and a truck. I added a new car and a new truck. Both used of course but newer.

State Farm took 6 months... yes 6 months to get the policy written on the new truck. I am being back billed over $950. For the last 6 months I have not been receiving multi-line discount. I filed a complaint about the 6 months to write the policy, having the payment on the old truck and the overpayment on the new car that was not recognized on a multi-line discount to be applied to the truck as credit that I had paid.

Basically I have been told, "Too bad." I have informed my agent's office and the headquarters where the complaint was lodged. Here is the $950+ as I know they will get it in our corrupt courts. I will obtain new policies with a company that has customer service capabilities. Not even a response from either. So if you want policies to be changed by other people and you want to have a policy take 6 months to be written so you can be back billed and then get a "so sad too bad" response then go ahead and choose State Farm. If not go elsewhere.

Original review: March 28, 2019

A State Farm agent makes approximately $55,000.00 a year to do practically nothing. The agent takes your information received a yearly or monthly stipend and have another department manage or mismanage your account, and handled your disappointment(s). Then the agent will claim he cannot give you an apology or does not know anyone who can give you an apology in State Farm after my $1200 was re-directed or mismanaged into a "foreign account." It took approximately 12 months and several letters to received an apology.

My suggestion to all unhappy clients is Small Claim court. You can win or lose but the message will be clear that the days of ** tactics and/or disingenuous approaches are over. Also, do everything in writing! Do very little communication over the phone. Write to the California Insurance Commissioner, if you live in California. I have numerous letters regarding unauthorized cancel of my homeowner's insurance, mismanagement of $1200, failure to inform me in a timely manner of a class action suit against SF and it losing the class action suit, incorrect loan balance, less-than-truthful input to car insurance, and etc.

Since many insurance companies are basically the same the best advice is put your disappointment(s) in writing to help your memory in the future and to obtain some form of satisfaction. Oh yeah, follow-up, follow-up in your complaint. SF alleges that it is not aware of "chapter 13" waste management" department - a pseudo-department where your complaint disappears.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I'm rating 3 stars because my service up until this point was great. I got a hold on my DMV registration because State Farm sent them a notice for lapse of insurance coverage. My agent reviewed and said there was absolutely no lapse. They immediately cooperated with contacting my local DMV to get it resolved, but why did they send the notice to begin with? It does not inspire confidence.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have a wired situation here. I permanently live in the UK and was visiting US for 1 year. I have applied and paid to STATE FARM INSURANCE COMPANIES. I was giving a Temporary Identification Card and a contact number (**) for the person whom supposed to do the insurance (his name is Peter). Then I cancelled the insurance the following day when I realized that the cars am renting will be covered by Turo insurance. According to the insurance policy I should have a full refund. Untill the moment, I still didn't have any refund and Peter keeps postponing. I checked the policy number I was given but it might that everything was just FAKE!!! Luckily I paid a v small amount but just sharing this everywhere so everyone takes care especially guests who might not be aware.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I was involved in a car accident the beginning of February 2019. State Farm's insured cut me off and slammed into my car. I originally was not going to pursue a claim so I never contacted them. However, after head injuries and consulting my doctor, I wanted to get at least compensated for lost work and doctor bills. I called State Farm and the original Rep was extremely rude and condescending. Immediately, she said, "well we have already established liability and found you at fault"! Umm, wait, what am I missing.

I asked how was that established being I was never contacted for a statement, their insured received a citation for the accident and the damages to the cars coherent to them being at fault. She continued to say that based on their insured statement and the police report, (by which held their insured liable), they said they determined they were not liable. Totally confused, I started asking questions. The rep was short with me and very rude. Finally she said she will review it with her supervisor and will call me back. She called back and said, their decision will not change. They will not be liable.

Frustrated I left it alone. After about another week or two, I called back and spoke with Nina because my insurance company and has filed arbitration against State Farm. When I called this time to speak with another rep. To my surprise, she was also very, very rude and condescending as well. I asked to speak with a supervisor or someone a bit higher than her and she said, she will not at this time. She stated she will review the claim and if she feel something is missed she will call me back. I asked when should I expect to hear back and she said, "If I don't see anything, I will not call you back." What the... These people really want me to flip out. I again said I really need to speak to someone else, and she refused. I then asked her to please have someone else give me a callback. She said, "I need to get off the phone to review the claim." And that all I was doing was holding her up. Just awful!

No State Farm is not my auto insurance company, however, I am a signer and a policyholder for one of my corporations and carry a commercial umbrella policy with State Farm. I have already started the process to switch insurance companies. I am so surprised by how rude and disrespectful they all were to me. I will not recommend State Farm Insurance for anything. I thought it was a joke that an insurance company would refuse to take rightful responsibility for an accident. NO IT IS NOT. Truth is, to fight for liability is one thing--to be totally rude and disrespectful is another. They all need customer service training ASAP. They lost a business policy here and they will never get any of my business again. I will spread to word to all of my affiliates as well. G. **

Original review: March 18, 2019

Affordable rates, friendly staff, and always very helpful. If you refinance through them you automatically get GAP insurance which I highly recommend cause my car was totaled and I still owed about $22,000 and based on Blue Book they were only going to give me about $13,000 but since I had the GAP insurance the remaining $22,000 was paid so I owed NOTHING.

Original review: March 14, 2019

82 yrs old had house fire. Agent offered me her friend number to buy house for 5k. Next day 10 k. We have requested her off the claim at least 10 xs still on. So we got an adjuster. State Farm put us in a 220.00 a hotel room. We started to negotiate our rental (Aug) as a place to stay. We were getting 1100 a month income. We had to furnish with our own money. State Farm did not agree to put us in our house til Nov. Post dated check to include last week in hotel so we were not reimbused. They paid 2 months rent and stopped. So out 1100 rent income. Inventory took 2 months to get paid. Asked about water damage caused by water dept. A question. Just asked. No claim made. State Farm canceled house insurance For asking.

June 2 months before 1 yr anniversary State Farm closed claim on fire damage. No communication on either parties. Just found out by accident it was closed. They pay you your undisputed out and the 1 yr starts to tick away. They use the noncommunication to tick the clock away. They want you to use inside general contractors. State Farm paid 660. For nonemergency board up of 2 windows. I made the appt. Cleaned the stairs then came 3 days later. The plywood was noted as 13.00 each. When I had to board up 9 windows for security at 650. With my own contractor they said no. I had to go back to my emails and show the agent approved the sunroom board up with her guy. It was approved.

Took 3 months to pay the poor guy. Do everything through an email everything. We have insurance A B C and extra electrical upgrade. They paid all undisputed amounts and has gone silent on any inventory proof, hotel paid out of pocket and rental payments. Has quit after 2 months and delayed electrical upgrade. We are at a standstill. I think it's lawyer time. Stay away. I heard repeated I wish I would have died in the fire than end up with this emotional mess. 82 yrs old what will they do to you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was in an accident on March 1, 2019 when a lady, insured by State Farm, was directly in front of me and decided to put her vehicle in reverse without looking. My children were in the car and we started screaming and honking the horn to try and get her attention. She continued to reverse and hit my car causing over $1000.00 in damages. I contacted her insurance company to make a claim because she did not appear concerned at the time. After State Farm contacted her, they tell me the claim went to the dispute department because she is saying my vehicle was moving at the time. This is a lie. I submitted my photos, a preliminary estimate of damages, a diagram of the accident scene, etc.

After having received no response from State Farm I contacted them. They said they have still not been able to reach their insured to take her statement. They said because there was no witness and no police report they would deny my claim because of lack of evidence. I now have to take the matter to conciliation court to try and sue this woman for the damages she did to my car. If you are looking for a shady insurance company that likes to screw over victims, then State Farm is for you. If you are looking for an honest insurance company that does the right thing, then I would shop elsewhere.

Original review: March 10, 2019

In the 18 months, since I moved away from MS Gulf coast, I have been to see my SF agent 3 times over my car's physical address. SF is still charging me the higher rate associated with my old address, as no one at the "home" office has changed it, yet. Never mind my car is registered, with DMV, at my current physical address. I have watched my agent, on the phone, requesting this change as well as seeing her change this on her computer. Still, my insurance rate stays based on old physical address. Yes, SF owes me money for all those over payments, but if I can't trust them to change my car's physical address, how can I trust them to pay a claim? As far as I'm concerned, they've had 3 strikes, so they're out. After 6+ years, I'm changing my auto insurance.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I was driving from leaving the Golden Coral and on my way home on December 19, 2019. It was raining lightly at times and I and their client were driving northbound on little blue parkway turning westbound onto 39th street. I was in my lane the farthest that I can get over and the other driver crossed over Into my lane and hit the right side of my front fender putting a crease it the top of the fender and tearing up the fender on the bottom portion of the fender. The driver had 2 females in the pickup; one in the passenger side and one in the rear seat.

When we exchanged information the passenger female wrote bogus information down; so, I walked in a police report the next day. That is when I found out the information was bogus. I turned it in as an uninsured motorist. I returned to the Police station the next day after that and the police found out the true contact information that I needed. I went to my Agency and they filed the claims. The total estimate is $783.-- And I have to pay the whole thing because my deductible. I have to pay as one of the females in the pickup claimed to be a witness and lied about them "not crossing over Into my lane; State Farm refused to pay the claim. So thanks pickup liars for sticking it to me and thanks State Farm for being a co-perpetrator in the scam. William** Independence, Missouri.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My husband and I have a multi policy with State Farm. We have had their insurance since 2012. We have 5 full coverage car insurance policies, a homeowners policy with all the adds on and an umbrella policy just for extra protection. We have never had a claim. In Jan 2018 a semi truck driver from Canada carrying huge chunks of ice, flew off the top of his semi trailer and hit our 2012 Jeep as my family and I were driving on the interstate in KY. We flagged and followed the semi driver off of an exit to a truck stop. The semi driver admitted fault and apologized and gave us his information. He could clearly see the ice wedged in between our soft top moon roof along with huge dents in the front of our vehicle. It was 55 degrees outside and there was no snow or ice anywhere except the top of his trailer. We were on the way to a family member's funeral, it was terrible timing to have something like this happen.

I called the truck driver's insurance company the following week and submitted 3 quotes for repairs. I had statements from 4 of the 5 body shops that said they wouldn’t work on our vehicle because of the high probability that the roof would leak or they didn’t have any experience working on the Skyglider. The only body shop I could find that had any experience working on the Skyglider system was a Jeep Dealership.

From the very beginning the dealership told me I needed the entire roof replaced with a new skyglider. The truck driver's insurance company sent out an adjuster to review the damages. His Canadian insurance company refused to the fix the car before I signed off on the check and they wanted to take 20% off the repair quote for depreciation. I thought this was unfair and SLEAZY and I said no. I went back and forth with his insurance company for 2 months. All the while my roof was leaking and causing electrical damage like shorting out the window from the leak above.

We had just purchased this vehicle at the end of October 2018, it was in perfect condition prior to this. I went to see our State Farm Agent, we know her very well. She lives in our community. She advised us to turn it into our policy, so we could get our car fixed without all this hassle and allow State Farm’s attorneys to subrogate the claim. So we followed her advice and submitted the claim. I went back to the same Jeep Dealer who luckily was also a State Farm Certified Body shop (One of the three original quotes that was submitted). They were confident they could work on the complex Skyglider roof system and wanted to replace it. Once State Farm got involved the State Farm adjuster actually worked against replacing the roof system. I later found out that it was because Chrysler stopped making the parts. The dealership kept our Jeep until 12/26/18, only a few days shy of a one year marker.

Every time they called me and told me my Jeep was ready something else was damaged and the roof was still leaking upon arrival. State Farm was aware of these issues. The dealer wanted to put a skin on the roof and remove the moon roof completely which would devalue my car. I agreed to do this because I wanted the leaking roof repaired. State Farm refused to fix the roof and told me to call Chrysler. I called Chrysler and the customer service agent was just as rude as dealing with State Farm and neither would not put anything in writing to help me get my car fixed. My agent said she was so sorry and tried everything she could to help us, but I found out agents have no power so don’t rely on them being able to assist you in anyway. They are just a smiling face without power. So here I am with a car that I’m paying full coverage insurance on, can’t drive, still leaking and sitting at the Jeep Dealership for over a year.

We wrote and asked State Farm to replace our roof with a skin and they wouldn’t do that because they said it would change the structure of the vehicle. I asked them to total the vehicle. They said no. My husband and I decided to contact an attorney because we felt what was happening to us was very wrong. We found out that if you’re not injured in an accident, which none of us were...attorneys won’t take your case because the pay out isn’t enough. So we have $19k in our Jeep and our measly $4000 claim for the roof to be repaired. We would have lost more money to trade or sell the vehicle, we looked into it. So we forked over the $4000 to have the skin put on and repairs made out of our own pocket.

Let me recap, we have a multi policy with State Farm for over 7 years, high premiums, full coverage, no claims, the accident on record wasn’t our fault and the person who was at fault had full coverage insurance. But we had to pay to get our vehicle fixed out of our own pocket and we paid the bodyshop our State Farm $250 deductible.

We are shopping for insurance now. These big insurance companies can do whatever they want because they know regular consumers like us can’t afford to sue them for $4000. It wouldn’t be financially viable for us to do so. State Farm also knows attorneys are only interested in the injury money maker cases. I cannot recommend State Farm. They are white collar criminals. We are a middle class family with extra coverage and I feel State Farm is a fraudulent company who broke the law by not upholding their end of our insurance contract. We pay big money every month on time for full coverage policies and they outright didn’t honor our insurance coverage agreement. They can do whatever they want because there is no one to hold them accountable. If there is a silver lining, We are just grateful that we found out about State Farm now. Thank goodness it wasn’t an expensive home claim from something like a natural disaster.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was rear ended & other driver fled scene of accident. My 1st accident in 42 years of driving & my payment increased by $60 a month on a 10 year old car. They never sent adjuster. They stated I was 40% responsible without reviewing camera footage, pictures taken. I was not ticketed and other driver fled the scene.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Worst claim service imaginable. My wife was in an auto accident where a young driver was on their phone and not paying attention. He ended up hitting the stopped vehicle in front of him who was pushed into my wife’s vehicle. Liability was accepted by State Farm and they paid to get her vehicle fixed. She was injured and had over 30 visits with providers. We kept calling the bodily injury adjuster to find out what we should be doing with no response. She finished treatment in November and we called once a week after that to find out what we needed to do with no answer and no response.

We made over 20 calls to them over the past few months with one single call back. They gave us a low ball offer to settle the bodily injury and we refused. They said this was the best they could do based on the damage to our vehicle. When I pushed more they raised the offer but it is still a low ball offer. They are now saying this is the best they can do based on the damage to our vehicle. I have left several messages for the adjusters boss with no return call. They are not willing to pay for what they owe. We have collections agency’s after us because they refused to properly review the documents submitted and evaluate the claim in a timely manner.

We still have not settled the claim and we still have not heard from the adjuster's boss. The adjuster rarely answers our calls, even when we leave a message, and never returns calls when we do. DO NOT GET STATE FARM FOR YOUR INSURANCE. They are not responsive and don’t care about you or the people you may get in an accident with. This is the worst experience we have ever had with an insurance company and we have been around insurance companies for many years!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Every time I call they tell me something different. I just had a call with State Farm claims department. The claims agent was so rude with me. No help at all. I had to hang up on her because she started yelling. Then she calls me back and asks me if she's talking to ** and I say, "No. You are talking to **, the owner of the car" and she says, "Well I am calling the wrong number," and hanged up on me. Just in general State Farm is a ** service. After I finish this claim I am so done with them. Any recommendations?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Michelle Twitchell Insurance Agency in Bartlett, IL I've been with for 5 years for home and 2 car insurance got so obnoxious with her policy of canceling paid in full car insurance I couldn't believe. As I said I had two car insurance and one of my cars had insurance from Sept to March 2019. I cancel one of my car insurance in December 2018 and the payment was adjusted and due in January which I did not know about since I paid for 6 months in full. The idiots did not call me about my MB in Dec 2018 but about my BMW don't drive anymore and do not need insurance for.

First of all, I think it should be against the law to back charge you if you pay in full for six months of insurance no matter what. (Another American legalized crime.) Second of all, I should be notified that my car insurance will be canceled, so I will not drive without valid insurance for over a month. This agency is filled with disgusting ignorant people and should be investigated so there are no people on the road without insurance and knowledge they do not have one. The one positive thing about the incident is, I found out that Michelle was overcharging me over $660 dollars on my home and car insurance. Very greedy and ignorant people people work in that State Farm agency. Stay alert.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky