State Farm Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Terrible Unethical Company! I am very unimpressed with State Farm Auto Insurance. I am actually considering suing them for taking advantage of the mentally disabled. I may be highly functioning but I feel like I have been taken advantage of and had my privacy rights severely violated. At the beginning of the claim we gave them specific instructions to contact the insurance agent handling the claim through my insurance. When that fails to contact my designated legal guardian. The first few months, the group of insurance agents aware of this fact did a fine job of keeping within the contact circle.

After a few months, State Farm started contacting me and leaving peer pressuring voice mails on my phone to contact them. Well you call State Farm Auto Insurance back and all you get are ** voice mails! You have to go through their slew of phone trees before you actually get someone. When you get someone it's not the designated party handling your insurance.

My designated guardian and I called them back to see what they wanted. We thought it was to challenge our demand letter. No! It was a con into providing a recorded statement! Which is full of false information due to my mental disability not allowing me to understand half the questions. It was illegal for my mother to guide me for answers. A few of the answers were revoked due to her trying to answer for me. I work retail and am trained to blindly say "yes" and be compliant to all whether I understand them or not. I honestly did not understand any of the questions they were requesting of me. The recorded statement they illegally made me speak against my will is full of lies. The only piece of information accurate to the day of the m.v.a. incident is the dash cam video. Which they refuse to view unless it's burned to a data disc.

I started services with State Farm because they said it would be cheaper than the current insurance company I was currently with. They asked me to sign papers for me to have automatic payments through the company. I originally said, "Sure I would like it," but 15 days later they go in my account to attempt to take another payment out. Which a full 30-31 day cycle haven't lapped yet. So that's the first incident! They actually called me after attempting to take money out my account. My respond; it's not even time for me to pay. Which I didn't even get pay yet so yeah that was considered a return check and a Overdraft fees. Every time they called they would try to get me to sign up with them for this automatic payment plan. That right there with the first incident already got me apprehensive of signing up with them.

So bottom line too many problems I decide not to sign up with them. I go to call in my payment for the month they tell me "Oh you owe 232 and some change." I tell them how does my payment go from 69 dollars to that large amount. They proceed to tell me because I didn't sign the papers and send them back they automatically picked my tort (which we discussed obviously the first time I sign up) and because I didn't sign the automatic payment plan it made my payments jump. I tell them there is no way I can pay that much and if I could I would've just stayed with my old company. So the day it was due I called them and cancel after all this debate of why I don't want to deal with them. (Mind you I never signed papers stating they can go in my account for reoccurring payments).

The next day of canceling with them they go into my account illegally. And I'm having a hard time getting my money back that they took illegally! My mother also happened to have the same problems a couple years ago come to find out. After reading other reviews. Beware of this company bad business!! My experience your could be great or worst! Good luck!

I've been with State Farm for three years. Vehicle was parked and my neighbor hit it. We both have State Farm Insurance so I thought it would be easy claim. After giving me the run around for a month and a half they finally paid for my car repairs but not after asking me a million times was the car parked illegally.

A guy hit my car in the parking lot and he reported to security, of course there is camera everywhere, so he was covered by State Farm. When we call this company it took us almost one week for them to fill up the case. Then when this lady name Nuncia ** take the case she sent this guy who did the report after 10 days of the accident happen, they said the repairs cost 1000 almost but they only going to paid 490 because my cars was already repair before. I think this is so unfair because is my car was repair or no they have to give my car the way it was. Now I have to paid the differences, when it was not in my plans to make this spend. I feel so disgusting for this people, but I am telling everybody that I know how they work and don't trust them.

I am not insured by State Farm however their insured driver backed into my parked vehicle. I submitted a claim for my damaged bumper but State Farm denied the claim. The adjuster said there was previous damage to the bumper. The damage that he spoke of has a good little story behind it and I kinda smile when I see it. The opposite side of the bumper it's where some guy backing out of his driveway not paying attention has caused more damage. Besides the facts of either instance, the bumper it's repairable. Should I decide to have it repaired it would cost me more due to the damage caused by State Farm's careless driver. I have threatened legal action. Let's see where it goes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

I have been with State Farm for nine years. I was extremely happy with them until 2 years ago when my policies started increasing every six months. I have the same vehicle, no tickets, no accidents, and I haven't moved. My vehicle is getting older, so more expensive unnecessary coverage was not needed. I experienced an increase of $40 a month twice a year. This last six month period ended in December and I asked why my coverage changed without my consent and why the price has been increased. Tiana stated she would fix it and in January not only was my COVERAGE WRONG, my rate went up another $40 a month. I looked at 3 other insurance companies Allstate, Geico and American Family. All of them quoted me less than 1/2 of what State Farm was charging me.

When I called to cancel my insurance I was hung up on. This wasn't a negative conversation, so I was confused by the unprofessional behavior. I still had questions, so I called back. This was at 3 pm. They let me go to voicemail so I left a message for a return call. Still haven't received one. Buyer beware. This company is fraudulently increasing coverage to cover quotas. They are also highly unprofessional.

After 40+ years of having State Farm insurance I had a small rear end accident where I "tapped" the rear end of the car ahead of me while I was "hooked" up to a car washing pulley. I was not operating my car. I was following the directions of the car wash employee to move forward. When I obeyed the employee he suddenly yelled to stop but my car could not stop and I "tapped" the rear end of the car ahead of. With a perfect California DMV driving record State Farm penalized me for this small rear end accident by raising my premiums $320 per year. So much for customer loyalty to State Farm. I would not recommend California State Farm to anyone.

I had poor experience with rental car. I was not at fault for an incident and I was getting a 100% coverage from State Farm who is the insurance of party at fault. As per my own insurance policy, I am entitled for rental coverage at $50 per day. However State Farm just made sure that they will pay only for the segment of vehicle I am owning. I feel that I should have claimed via my insurance and asked State Farm for a refund rather than going through State Farm. Their claims agents were not willing to correct this when I approached them. Poor service.

State Farm is the least helpful company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. The last few months has been hell with this company. One place can't remember to automatically withdrawn the payment from our account and we moved to a different agent after the first one screwed everything up and they ended up withdrawing payments twice in 1 month! Not to mention the fact that for months we could not get into the online State Farm account and come to find out the wrong email address had been used to set up our account but they kept telling us we could reset it ourselves (clearly not the case since any reset was being sent to the wrong email address!!!).

When we switched to the new branch we asked repeatedly if there was any hold due to the lapse which occurred when Rob Fields neglected to automatically charge us for our monthly insurance (for the 2nd time in a 6 month period). We were assured that they could see nothing wrong with our registration/account, we find out by being pulled over that they were wrong and the registration was suspended!!!! After paying almost $500 to State Farm to get things straightened out we now owe DMV $320 in fine.

Not one person would help us. We had no clue that anything was suspended. Nobody called to say payment had not been made and no email was sent. DMV was the only place that contacted us and that was only after everything was a mess. The woman actually shrugged her shoulders at me when I went into the office for help and said nothing I can do. The owner gave me the number for customer service and told me to call them. When I asked who she reported to she said nobody is above her and she can't (wouldn't) help.

My insurance claim was denied. On 12/13/16 I filed a claim with State Farm, my insurance company after I had experienced vehicle breakdown on 12/12/16. I had my vehicle towed to the repair shop where it was diagnosed that sugar water had been poured into my gas tank. The technician showed me the effects of the sugar contamination to my fuel pump, gas lines and tank, as well as to the spark plugs and engine heads. At that time I informed my insurance agent of the issue and it was filed as a vandalism claim.

After the claims adjuster accessed the vehicle it was his determination that there was sugar contents found in all of those areas and that those would be covered but that the engine failure was not due to the sugar but posed that it was from engine wear and would not cover any repairs to the engine. I disputed his assessment and provided the insurance company with receipts of routine vehicle maintenance records and oil changes/stating the condition of the vehicle prior to the vandalism was in great condition. I asked for a second review as the repair shop disagreed with the adjuster's assessment.

I have been a customer for over 40 years with State Farm Insurance. I have NEVER had a speeding ticket, a moving violation ticket, or caused a wreck... I have the +5 points on my driving record here in Virginia. My 22 year old son, who has his OWN POLICY which is not under my policy, was the reason I got a NON-RENEWAL for my Auto Insurance. Unbelievable!!! State Farm will now lose my Home Owners policy and our Life insurance policies... My parents are also dropping ALL of their State Farm Insurances as well. State Farm sucks!

Have been a State Farm customer for 8 years. Never have had a claim, someone hits my parked car they also have the same insurance company. I go get estimates between $2,240-2,500. State Farm's adjuster Jasper ** totally ripped us off, lied and wouldn't even tell us the claim, said he wasn't finished yet (he didn't tell us because he didn't want the conflict).

We call, of course stay on the phone forever after calling several times throughout this process and getting the runaround several times. He didn't even give us the right claim! Not to mention driving all over the place for estimates which has been a huge inconvenience. His claim was a little over $1000 so what am I supposed to do? Pay 1,500 out of pocket! So disgusted!! My car got hit and they should pay for the damages! I'm not even sure if he claimed all the damages they wouldn't tell us! I will absolutely be dropping this insurance company and will never use them again! The only response I got (more runaround) was have the body shop send in what else is owed like I really believe they'll pay it! The whole time Jasper ** talked about how he was an honest person and how he tried to help people out and how sorry he was, **! The complete opposite.

I was involved in a serious car accident 14 months ago. Thank God I bought extra ins thru State Farm for disability so I thought! Have not seen one red cent in those 14 months paid extra got screwed!!! Don't be fooled by these trained liars. Don't deal with them they can not be trusted! You've been warned.

System will not let me give zero stars or negative stars. I had brand new truck- 50,000. They want to settle for pennies on the dollar... Had a wreck in August 2016, it's January 2017... still nothing. Had another truck hit me head on 55-mph. State Farm (my insurance) trying to get me to settle claim within the first 2 days for PENNIES on the dollar. Truck with just 3100 miles, front in totally smashed, passenger front door is jammed. State Farm said they can fix it for $14,000.00. Right... Also local agent wouldn't give me the time of day. Safe Co (their insurance) no phone calls... nothing.

I was in a car accident on thanksgiving night when I was hit. She ran a red light. When the police got there they said that it was her fault. When State Farm got the police report they said to take my van to the body shop but two weeks later they said that they were not going to pay because she said she had the green arrow. There was no green arrow. The light was green. That was two days before Christmas. They put me in a bid.

I have been with State Farm for over 20 years and my parents have been with them twice as long. 2 years ago I was involved in an accident where the other driver was found at fault as he backed out of his driveway onto the road in front of me. Then he filed a lawsuit against me in which he made up a part of the accident that didn't happen, and claimed he was injured in it. After the accident he was posting pictures on Facebook of himself lifting weights and vacationing when he was supposed to be injured. Instead of State Farm doing the right thing and fighting it they are trying to settle with him. I am leaving State Farm as soon as I can get new insurance, and I am asking those who want to stand up to insurance fraud to do the same. This is why people continue to milk the system, because insurance companies keep letting it happen instead of trying to shut these people down.

I have had State Farm Auto Insurance for over 30 years. I have had few if any, issues concerning their dealings with me. I had a minor accident that was my fault. No one was hurt. State Farm took care of the person whose car I hit with no issues as well as fixing my car immediately. They took care of contacting the auto body shop for me who then called me with an appointment. My car was repaired in a little over a week. It was smooth sailing with State Farm when it came to the accident described. I will continue with them for the immediate future.

I switched over to State Farm because I was told they would give me a great rate by an agent that was advertising. I have one of the safest cars on the market. I take very good care of it maintenance wise because it is expensive. My pride and joy. I had hit a semi truck whole tire in the middle of a 2 lane high way going 55 miles per hr at night on an unlit highway on my way to work at 945 pm. I filed a police report, had my car towed to a clinic of theirs because I had fluids leaking the next morning. Had front damage, damage underneath my car and who knows what else. They only paid for the cosmetic portion.

Never did they do a mechanical check on my car which I requested. They wouldn't let me take it to the place I wanted to for both body and mechanical checks. I may have to pay for it. Their recommended clinic advised me to get a second opinion on what the outsource company had said I needed to have new shocks and struts before they would do my alignment. Which in turn would cost 1400.00. Outsource said that's crazy.

To make a long story short. My repairs were $4000.00 that I had to pay out of pocket to get my car fixed. I can't drive a car without it being aligned etc. I have invested to much money into my car. Adjuster lied, they never got a copy of my accident report stating what happened. They stated claim said it happened at 930 am not 945pm at night. They stated that I said I hit "something" in road never mentioned semi truck tire which I had pic of. They said adjuster had contacted me which he had not ever when I had requested to talk with him.

My agent never returned my calls. Had to talk with Manager. They raised my rates 60.00 while my car was in shop for 3 months cause I didn't have my Bluetooth gps State Farm navigator on (I removed everything from my vehicle when I had my car in shop, wasn't driving it). The car rental put the bill for three months on my debit card instead of billing State Farm directly like they said it would happen.

Instead of putting my payments on hold for three months cause my car was being fixed, I get a notice saying it's illegal to go without insurance. Please reinstate. It has been a total disaster since day one. Auto repair shop said I would hire an attorney... so I did. I'm just a average single parent with a kid in college. I could of gone to the ER and made up some big story. It would of been easier if had gotten injured. They should be excited that I have a very safe car and how I handled the situation. Instead they take my money make me pay deductible and screw me. I've hired an attorney. This is a nightmare!!!

Filing a claim used to be excellent when direct contact with agent who filed for you. Now you have to file online with no personal conversation. Still good service but lack of comfort hearing a live voice of assurance. We have an agent office turnover every two years.

Filing claims is fast, easy and dependable. We have been with them for over 30 years and have always had great service, great rates and always there when you need them. We have everything we own covered under State Farm. Our rates are a lot better than any other company, I know this because I have called just to see what they would quote me. Our agent is the best - never put on hold, always returns calls within the hour and is very helpful.

State Farm was more concerned with themselves than my welfare. In general their customer service has been terrible. I ended up getting business and renter's insurance elsewhere. The only time an agent had time to speak with me was after the accident and when I proved someone involved was filing a false claim and saved them thousands. The only response I got was for them to raise my rates. Every time in the past 7 years I asked for an agent, specifically the agent that was assigned to me, he was always too busy. They raised my rates every year even though I had a perfect driving record.

I have been with State Farm since 2014 when I got my new car. I am on a policy with my boyfriend. I bought a house in 2016 and used State Farm to cover our homeowners policy. Unfortunately in April 3, 2015 I was hit by a drunk driver while I was stopped at a light heading home from work. March 2, 2016 I was rear-ended while I was stopped at a light headed to work. And a deer jumped out in front of me in October 2015 on my way home from running an errand. There was very little damage and if I didn't get rear-ended in March, I wouldn't have fixed it at all. BUT because of the frequency of the accidents in a 3 year time span, State Farm underwriting will no longer cover me. 2 accidents were not my fault and I was stopped.

My boyfriend has been with them for years, so if we were married, even though we live together, and/or his name was on my car title, then State Farm would cover me. Why do we have insurance? To protect us from the ones that cause accidents... right? I am being punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am being punished for actually abiding by the law and stopping at traffic lights. On a side note, the second accident State Farm didn't have to pay for. The driver that hit me; his insurance paid for all the damages.

I will say that I did love working with Katie Harris State Farm Agency. They were always helpful when State Farm forgot to take out my monthly auto-drafted insurance payment. They were even just as helpful when we first found out State Farm wanted to drop me. They even got me a temp policy until underwriting was finished. Apparently underwriting cannot read the Police Reports. So they sent me a letter stating that I am eligible for insurance coverage through the Georgia Automobile Insurance Plan. This plan is for high risk drivers. Both accidents I was stopped at a light, not driving? How am I high risk?! Explain that one... Oh yeah the frequency I was in an accident when other drivers hit me. Not me hitting them.

State Farm underwriting has put me in a bind, and I am scrambling to get insurance by Friday. This is unfair that they put me in a risk category. Look at my entire history of driving. LONG GAPS of no incidents at all since 1992. And I can remember being hit in 1992. Then I was hit in 2005. They need to take that into consideration. OH... and still haven't gotten my $500 Deductible or my 20% car rental back for an accident I didn't cause on April 3, 2015. I should have never had to pay that deductible since I didn't cause the accident. That drunk driver hit 7 of us and only stopped because he plowed into a stopped Cadillac SUV.

I was in an accident in which a commercial vehicle ran a red light and hit my car. Since I live in Michigan it is a no fault state and I was told that I could file a mini tort claim against the other ins company. So I proceeded to do a mini tort to get my deductible paid. I gave State Farm all the info they needed police reports witness info other ins. State Farm assured me that they would help me get my deductible back and they would forward any and all info to the other ins company. After almost 2 months later they informed said they couldn't forward the info and that I had to do everything myself. With so much time been passed the other ins company couldn't contact the witness. The other ins company denied my claim cause it was lack of info. State Farm did not assist me with the right info in a timely manner. I have been with State Farm for 20 years and I have never been treated like that before. I will be leaving.

I have been with State Farm for close to fifty years and before, I could call my Agent and he would take care of everything for me. But in my latest claim, I could not go through him, I had to call the claims division. The claim was for a rear bumper that was hit in a grocery store parking lot. It was considered a hit and run. I spoke to four different claims agents and all four gave me a totally different explanation of what would be covered and what would not. Two of those agents when I questioned them were the rudest people I had ever talked to. I finally called my agent and he called the claims division for me and we finally got the correct information. If it were not for my agent, I would have cancelled my insurance. Based on my experience with the claims division, I am very disappointed with State Farm. But I love the relationship I have with my Agent which is the only reason that I'm staying with State Farm.

I call to tell them I had an accident and they walked me through the process. It was easy and took less than 5 min, the claim was paid promptly to the other person involved and my rate did not change the next month and I wasn't dropped. Best rate, fast and efficient with road side Service and customer care (note at least with my agent Dominic out of Milwaukee, Oregon). He has insured me with great service. I did have to deal with corporate one time with roadside assistance and had issues so I called my agent. He fixed everything and gave me a Card for local businesses they contract with and never had any other issues. The best Insurance company I have had in 40 YEARS of driving.

After 20+ years of insuring my homes, cars, boats, and more. Multiple umbrella policies. With absolutely no claims!!! I was rear ended by an uninsured driver. State Farm treated and is still treating me like I am the uninsured. Very poor, slow, and only a partial repair on my vehicle. Never once did I even get to see or speak with an Adjuster. They turned my own words around to use them against me. I am still being treated for my injuries. Now 5 months later they are trying to abuse me again over the medical. All this after they called me months prior and said for having such a good record. I would have a free accident without any penalties to me. Very disappointing. I thought paying high dollar for quality insurance is what I signed up for. Obviously NOT!!!

I have since chosen to pay less somewhere else, if all I am getting for my money is abused. Please BEWARE!!! Agents sugarcoat everything to get you to pay for. Spendy Abuse later. I would like to add for those of you in the Lake Oswego, Or. area. Patrick ** was my agent. Will NOT help you when you need it. But, he will sell you more coverage for next time. I don't know how he sleeps at night. Very disappointed Past customer.

Filing a claim was relatively easy but rather tedious. We had to wait too long for our settlement check but once claim was approved, we were able to buy back our totaled 2005 PT Cruiser convertible quickly and easily.

When my Hartford Auto Insurance premiums went through the roof several years ago I went insurance shopping & was surprised how much State Farm saved me compared to others. Also like that they have an office only 20 miles from where I live so when I needed to change my home address they took care of it quickly. Also they had a great deal on renter's insurance.

State Farm did help me out with my claim. They answered my questions, and then process the claim. It wasn't difficult for me to do. However, I have been with this company for over 20 years and I spend way too much for my insurance. I need to get other quotes from other insurance companies. I'm struggling right now and having problems meeting my debts.

Filing a claim was easy and quick. However, they dropped me after 2 accidents in one year and the thing is I had been with them 7 years without a claim. They are a great company as long as you don't have claims.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.
  • Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)
  • Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.
  • Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.
  • Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Compare Auto Insurance