Fast Free Quotes

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5
Based on 2,259 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Online portal for easy policy access
  • Multi-policy discounts available
  • Safe driver and teen driver discounts

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I was checking my options for car insurance and I got a call from State Farm from a guy named Christian and I have never in my life had anyone worked so hard for me! If everyone that works at State Farm is as good at their job as Christian is then it has to be the most amazing company on the planet. I absolutely love this company! P.S. If Christian's boss is reading this that man deserves a raise and you should always do everything you can to keep him. He makes your company look good, I have complete trust in State Farm because of Christian!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

They offer more than just vehicle insurance, but roadside assistance is a plus, I haven't had to use this in a little while, let me tell you I have looked my keys in the car so many times, twice in one day also, had tires changed or aired up, jump starts, you name it. I have never had a pay out of pocket when I call them to get me help. If I am alone on the side of road they stayed on the phone until helped arrived, the tow truck was going be to long. The gal had called the sheriff's department. I kinda freaked when I seen the blue lights, I said, "Great now this on this dark road I have flashing lights," the gal said, "Calm down, I called the dept, you're out there all alone." Bless her heart. Health and accident hospital, hospital income, life insurance. All a plus when you have children. In Melanie's State Farm office all the gals are helpful great. I have not had a issue with not one claim!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Personally speaking I've never had any problems with State Farm. The office I call has always been helpful. The staff are friendly and kind and usually resolve any issues I may have. I have had other insurance policies with State farm over the years. I was involved in 2 separate accidents over the years and they were always prompt with the whole process from start to finish. I have had insurance with State farm for over 20 years and they have always been friendly and kind no matter what the issue may be. I recommend State farm to anyone who might be looking for a different insurance company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Trax in April and in July I was parked and woke up the next morning to my car being hit from behind. I immediately notified State Farm and automatically felt a sense of relief. Everyone I spoke with helped me with my claim, the repair of my car and rental. My State Farm agent's office called to make sure everything was going well with my claim, you get what you pay for. State Farm's rates may be a little higher than other companies but is well worth it for a peace of mind. Belinda **. Chicago, IL.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have had State Farm Insurance for many (30) years, and I have always enjoyed the personal attention I get when I need to add or change insurance, or if I have a claim. Recently, I was on a trip, and was eating at a restaurant with family, and when I came out of the restaurant, my van had been severely damaged by a hit and run driver. We assume it was a drunk driver. When I called my State Farm agent, they were happy to hear that I was not injured, and then they were ready to work on the damaged van. From the first call, to the completed repairs, was TWO WEEKS! I am talking about some serious repairs were completed in TWO WEEKS.

State Farm has many Preferred Provider shops, that do estimates, and repairs for them. They are trusted, and certified shops, and that means it cuts through the usual delays, and gets the repairs done quickly. State Farm, paid exactly what they said they would, quickly, and clearly. My agent called to be sure everything was to my satisfaction, and the repairs look great. This is how insurance is supposed to work. I can't say enough good about State Farm.

My agent said that they are in the check writing business. I said "What?" He said, "If we don't write checks, then we aren't helping people when they need help." Now that is my kind of agent, and my kind of insurance company. I don't shop around for a cheaper company. Insurance is supposed to give you coverage so you can sleep at night, and have help when you really need it. I get that with State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: March 31, 2020

My husband and I were involved in an accident and the process to file a claim with State Farm was horrible from start to finish. They wrongfully denied our claim in less than 1 business day before even allowing us efficient time to send photos and proof of fault via their email. One of their agents on our claim team, Paula, was curt in explaining that that's just the way State Farm does things... She clearly did not care whatsoever about our frustrations regarding the process and handling of our claim. I will make a point to let all friends and family know of this experience and will NEVER recommend State Farm to anyone in the future.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Before even reviewing photos, evidence, and details of the vehicle that swiped us, State Farm denied our claim within 1 business day. After talking to our agent at Geico and receiving the advice that we should still send our photos via email, we sent everything and then called State Farm again. A woman named Paula took our call; apparently she is one of the several team members of Tammy ** who assigned our claim.

After asking her why an insurance company would make a decision to deny a claim in less than a business day before even reviewing any of proof, Paula was rude and frank with her response "That's just the way State Farm does things. Others may not agree but it's how we operate." Paula then told us that we were welcome to submit any other proof we'd like and IF they decided it was proof enough that they would notify us of any change, but otherwise the claim would remain under the status of DENIED. This is a hideous display of customer service and an unethical way to treat others in the decision making process to determine who is at fault in an accident.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Why the two stars?: The website that I worked with was fairly well designed and the representative I spoke with was respectful and cordial. Why not more stars?: The advertisement, the website, and the system was designed in a way that I was given a lower quote at first, and I went ahead and purchased it. Later on (after a month), they emailed me that they have to double my rate and they told me all kinds of lies why they had to do it. This is a psychological trick, get someone to invest in you (their time, money, thoughts), and they are more likely not to walk away. I think two stars is fair for State Farm. They are slow and use psychological manipulations for their business.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I had an auto policy with literally every type of coverage possible in SC. After having an accident that totaled the car I promptly reported to my agent. State Farm refused to honor my insurance even with state police verifying that it was not my fault. I was forced to hire a lawyer and the day I did State Farm paid. However a lawyer should have been unnecessary. Full coverage and I did not even get the price of a 4 month old car back and that includes injuries. State Farm is a joke. ALLSTATE is the way to go.

Original review: March 11, 2020

Wow. I tried to leave the stars blank but could not. The magnitude of my nightmare of dealing with State Farm is far too overwhelming for me to discuss all here. But the theft in the form of overcharging in billing with no explanation and other illegal ways, extra fees that no one will explain but demand you pay or the being asked to lie about a certain situation, being asked not to tell that certain things were said or done, the constant harassment, the "No" customer service with "employees" who should remember they are just "employees" whose services are not needed without customers. These ungrateful employees should remain in their "employee" place and remember I pay their salaries, along with other loyal customers.

Unfortunately, the law mandates drivers maintain at least minimum coverage to operate a motor vehicle on roadways, and since I have heard horror stories about other companies, though not nearly as horrible as my story, I am here. We are forced to have insurance to drive legally, and this is the only company I know and have been with since I could drive. This is all the more reason why their fraudulent and other behavior and underhanded illegal tactics are unacceptable. What's more, I was assaulted by someone driving the State Farm DOTD vehicle today. I am resolved what to do. Comment with suggestions if you like. This company has oppressed me so much, but I have tried to remain loyal as it is a "family thing". I have the right to expect proper treatment from a company and employees whose salaries I pay.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

State Farm author review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become ranked No. 41 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance for a myriad of auto emergencies, such as running out of gas or oil, getting a flat tire or locking their keys in their car.

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car during repairs are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, such as classic car insurance and even antique car insurance for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor