2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.77/5

State Farm is best known for its auto insurance, but it also offers homeowners insurance. When you request a quote, State Farm suggests one of three levels of coverage: Essential, Expanded or Premium. You can select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. AM Best has given State Farm a high rating for its financial strength.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Online portal for easy policy access
  • Multi-policy discounts available
  • Safe driver and teen driver discounts

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I was checking my options for car insurance and I got a call from State Farm from a guy named Christian and I have never in my life had anyone worked so hard for me! If everyone that works at State Farm is as good at their job as Christian is then it has to be the most amazing company on the planet. I absolutely love this company! P.S. If Christian's boss is reading this that man deserves a raise and you should always do everything you can to keep him. He makes your company look good, I have complete trust in State Farm because of Christian!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

They offer more than just vehicle insurance, but roadside assistance is a plus, I haven't had to use this in a little while, let me tell you I have looked my keys in the car so many times, twice in one day also, had tires changed or aired up, jump starts, you name it. I have never had a pay out of pocket when I call them to get me help. If I am alone on the side of road they stayed on the phone until helped arrived, the tow truck was going be to long. The gal had called the sheriff's department. I kinda freaked when I seen the blue lights, I said, "Great now this on this dark road I have flashing lights," the gal said, "Calm down, I called the dept, you're out there all alone." Bless her heart. Health and accident hospital, hospital income, life insurance. All a plus when you have children. In Melanie's State Farm office all the gals are helpful great. I have not had a issue with not one claim!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Personally speaking I've never had any problems with State Farm. The office I call has always been helpful. The staff are friendly and kind and usually resolve any issues I may have. I have had other insurance policies with State farm over the years. I was involved in 2 separate accidents over the years and they were always prompt with the whole process from start to finish. I have had insurance with State farm for over 20 years and they have always been friendly and kind no matter what the issue may be. I recommend State farm to anyone who might be looking for a different insurance company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Trax in April and in July I was parked and woke up the next morning to my car being hit from behind. I immediately notified State Farm and automatically felt a sense of relief. Everyone I spoke with helped me with my claim, the repair of my car and rental. My State Farm agent's office called to make sure everything was going well with my claim, you get what you pay for. State Farm's rates may be a little higher than other companies but is well worth it for a peace of mind. Belinda **. Chicago, IL.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

State Farm has always been very helpful reducing my bills whenever I have enquired about discounts. The agents at the Troy, MI location have always been pleasant, friendly, and helpful. That being said, I have never made a claim, so I don’t know how to rate them on that aspect (is in regards to my car insurance). I did try to make a claim once on my homeowner’s policy regarding a large water leak in my basement, which was declined. I’ve tried to find other insurance companies that are less expensive than my State Farm policy is, but with little luck.

Original review: June 5, 2020

Raising insurance rates during pandemic so you can give a discount that will be applied from July bill is as shady practice as you can think of. Thank you State Farm!!! I'm definitely going to leave this comment on any platform I can so people know what's happening out there.

Original review: May 29, 2020

We recently had to replace an auto that was a total loss. The process was plagued by many different claims - personnel who seemed very incompetent and careless. They used competently incorrect car comparisons. They also chose to NOT use the actual sale price of the vehicles when I discovered they had previously sold. They chose to use a value that was heavily discounted based on their "estimate" rather than the sale price of that actual car. State Farm is very intent on collecting your monthly premiums, but turn unethical when they have to settle a claim. I have been with State Farm for over 20 years without EVER filing a claim. I never knew how unethical State Farm is so now I'm taking my Home and four vehicles to another insurance company. Turns out most are rated much higher than State Farm.

Original review: May 12, 2020

Until you need to file a claim with State Farm, great prices, great coverage. Have me down with 5 violations/accidents. One was a tow using my Roadside Service. They considered getting stuck on a bush an accident when all I needed was a tow, and had Roadside Coverage. One was an accident, and they canceled me before I went to trial. Guilty until proven innocent? The accident became 4 separate violations instead of one. Now, I am having difficulty obtaining new coverage after 50 years of driving with no claims. Take back my recommendation to use State Farm Insurance Company.

Original review: May 11, 2020

When I initially signed up for StateFarm about 7 or 8 years ago my agent had a hard time with my husband's record. He has the same first name, last name, & DOB as someone who lived in our large city. This other person has a middle name, my husband does not. This other person has DUIs & a horrible record, my husband does not. It took verifying his DL number & SSN to see they were definitely NOT the same person. The issue was fixed fairly quickly & we were good for almost 8 years.

Fast forward to this month. My husband purchased in full a 17 year old truck for work & wanted to add it full coverage to our policy. The quote came back double what we pay for our brand new 2020 vehicle. We were both stunned. 200 for one vehicle alone. One paid off, old vehicle. I asked the agent why, she explained all the factors that could do it, credit, record etc. She mentioned it could be one of the past DUIs. I stopped her right there to explain my husband has never had a DUI. Never even been to jail. He's had a few speeding tickets & his most recent flaw was he ran a red light 5 years ago. She tells me, "Well maybe it had been resolved, maybe it was in the past..." implying that perhaps it could have been a ticket I was unaware of. I've been with my husband since he was 19. He started driving at 17. I'm sure I would know if he had a DUI!

I explain how this has happened before & it must be an issue on their side. I even asked if there was someone higher up I could speak with about this issue. She said they'd just send me back to my Statefarm office. She tells me the only thing I can do is provide a driving record for them to review. I had to purchase this. I had to take my time to get this & send it to them. After purchasing the record I emailed it over the same day. Sure enough, NO DUIs. NO ARRESTS. NOTHING. After hearing nothing for a few hours I called & she told me it could take 2 weeks to review & update for a better rate & EVEN then they couldn't guarantee it would change based on other factors that could affect it. Well that didn't make me or my husband confident with this company.

We shopped with their competitor & were able to resolve that issue the same day within a few minutes. They could clearly see they were not the same individual. I wasn't made to feel like my husband is a secret criminal. This system of just name and DOB is BROKEN. We have DL numbers and SSN for a REASON. I am just utterly disgusted with them as a company & am happy we switched. Be aware that they are pulling your record CORRECTLY!

Original review: May 7, 2020

I am fortunate in that I have a wonderful State Farm insurance agent here in Florida but am annoyed with the company overall. State Farm says that they are offering a one-time 25% discount to their customers because people are driving less due to COVID-19 and therefore are having fewer accidents, however they just had an across the board increase of 8%!!! What a scam! They'll more than make up for their 25% "discount" in a matter of three months!!! Shame on them!

State Farm author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company offers customers — current and potential — tons of helpful educational resources via its website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible. A bevy of discounts allows customers to save on their premiums.

• Coverage and plans: Besides basic coverage, State Farm also has classic car insurance and antique car insurance. State Farm has options for travel expenses, rental car coverage and ride-share insurance.

• Cost: Full coverage from State Farm costs $1,500 a year, or $125 per month, on average. Minimal coverage is about $625 a year.

• Discounts: State Farm has discounts for avoiding accidents, safe driving courses, multivehicle policies, anti-theft devices, good students and good driving.

• Standout feature: State Farm’s Steer Clear program gives teenage drivers discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor