Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
State Farm Auto Insurance
2.96/5

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3418 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

If you are with State Farm or thinking about getting insurance with them STOP and go with another company. Back in July I was backing out of a parking space in a private lot and the car beside me was parked way too close to my truck and I really didn't even see it and I turned the wheel a little too soon and scraped the car. When I got my next bill it went up $100 and I flipped out so I called them and they said, "If the claim is $1700 or more then your insurance goes up," so I had to decrease my tort to get my bill down. When I got my next bill it was $235 then the next month it went back up to $255 so I am cancelling this pathetic insurance and going with Liberty Mutual. DO not ever go with State Farm.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Their insured motorist totaled my car and now State Farm won’t give me a fair market value. Stay clear of this insurance company. Run never insure with these thieves! They claim they're giving me a fair market value but their offer is well below fair market. I’ve yet to be able to find a car for the price they claim my totaled vehicle is worth. I’m out the car, my personal time researching cars and I didn’t do anything wrong. Their driver is at fault.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I've had State Farm for 20+ years ever since I was able to drive. I have an excellent driving record and have had ZERO at fault accidents throughout 20 years. I've had three claims/accidents (2 minor claims, one major) throughout two years and State Farm drops me like a hot potato. This goes to show you the kind of company State Farm is. Sure, they have good rates, but that doesn't mean anything if they drop you when you need them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Terrible. They won't pay to have your car fixed. They will total it and not let you have it back. Total rip off scam. Now I don't have a car and the amount I will be getting back will not buy anywhere near as decent of a car.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Our insurance agent died this summer, which is awful. We received letters that we had nothing to worry about and it was all taken care of by a new agent. Fast forward to today and I’m notified that we have a lapse in auto coverage and they are dropping us until we are in good standing with a third party agent. Naturally our home insurance rate also goes up since we have a bundle.

I have paperwork showing information from State Farm of confirmation of usual transactions, updated auto ID cards, home insurance statements, up to date premium information, auto draft of payments that we thought took place and budgeted as so, that I would love to upload with this post as proof, and yet because they dropped the ball somewhere, we are no longer covered, leaving us scrambling to find a new agent. It’s insane. I can’t believe this is acceptable to them. It absolutely makes no sense. We’ve been customers for over 20 years and are treated this way - just blows my mind. In fact, I’ve never written a complaint about any company or person before, that’s how bad this is!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My daughter's car was backed into in a parking lot by a teenage driver. Both my daughter and the other driver have State Farm insurance. Police were called and a report filed by my daughter while the other driver left the scene so his statement was not made to law enforcement. After getting the runaround for 3 weeks today we heard that State Farm won't allow a claim to their other client's insurance because there was no visible damage to his car and he claims he never hit her. So basically my daughter picked someone out of a crowd, received his insurance card from him, then lied about how her car was damaged? Ok State Farm, ** you and your pitiful customer service, we will take our business elsewhere along with anyone else's business we can persuade. This claim was filed in Chattanooga, Tn. with agent David **. Do business here at your own risk.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I got a letter today, that State Farm is dropping my roadside assistance, because I made too many claims. Every time I made a claim I tried to get the vehicle fixed and still ended up getting a new one after dropping 2k for nothing. I guess it's ok now to drive your broken vehicle not knowing when it's going to break down on you and cause an accident. I'm really disappointed for how much money I spend every month on my policy, and now being treated as criminal. This is very wrong. Next thing you know my rate will be going up as well, which technically should be going down if you are a safe driver.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Raised rate with no notice. Paid $253 a month with payment plan as quoted from beginning. After 3rd month switch to cheaper insurer. They withdrew $253 on Dec 17. I canceled policy effective Dec 23. Expected to be prorated for the 1 week. Should have gotten back $190 refund. Instead got $34. Was told my premium was raised so they adjusted my refund to $34. Charged me an increase dating back to when policy first opened. Also can't change or edit policy online. Must call local agent for everything. Inconvenient. Had I canceled policy before they withdrew from bank could have saved my $253. Will never use or recommend State Farm to anyone. Stick to Geico or Progressive. You can adjust things on policy online without have to constantly call someone.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Every month I have to change my password to pay my bill. I'm always getting locked out of my account. Every time I try to log in it automatically switches to my old password so it's saying invalid. All I want to do is pay my bill painlessly then when I call customer service I'm on hold for a half hour to an hour so that tells me their system has major problems. They lock me out faster than my bank. My bank log in id IS easier. FYI State Farm nobody ever hacked an account to pay someone's bill. I'm currently looking for an insurance company with low hassle. Life is stressful enough than to have to put up with such poor technical service. Change your name to headache insurance that's the only thing they give you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I don't have State Farm but was recently rear ended by a customer of theirs. I was hit on Oct 12th and it's Jan 2nd and I'm still not back out on the road. They never return phone calls ever and lost my car for 2 weeks. LMAO. My credit is destroyed and my life ruined due to State Farm's handling of the claim. I just wanted to warn anyone that chooses State Farm. It's at your own risk. This is a true account of what happened to me. Hopefully this helps someone.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had State Farm for about 4 years and then renters' insurance as well. My payments automatically came out of my account every month so it was always on time and never late. After almost 3 years I was backing out of the driveway and hit my husband’s truck. I paid the $500 deductible to get the vehicles fixed and after 11 months they tried to raise my insurance almost $80. When I called about the issue and asked why after almost a year they were trying to increase my premium they stated because they review policies every 6 month. As I proceeded to say that I have been 11 months so if they were going to raise it why didn’t they raise it in the first six months after the accident happened. Their response was they weren’t sure and there was nothing they could do. I decided to go with another auto insurance company but I did keep my renters' insurance through State Farm.

A few months ago our vehicles got broken into in our own driveway and a piece of property was stolen worth over $3000. I called State Farm to see what I had to do to make a claim or even how much was covered under our renters' insurance. I was told that we only had $1500 covered for jewelry and that was the max. Even though we took a loss we file the claim and a few months later I got a phone call and the lady said that she was giving me a “courtesy” call to let me know that they were dropping me and not renewing my policy because I made the claim when our vehicles got broken into. She said that I would receive a letter in the mail but she wanted to let me know ahead of time before I received the letter (I assumed the letter would be coming in the mail SOON).

After over a week of not receiving a letter I honestly didn’t think anything else about it. Almost 2 months later I look at my bank statement and see that I was still being charged for November and December. When I spoke with someone at the agency she stated that she was the one that I spoke with and that she never said that she was sending the letter out in a few days. She said it was sent out in December 28th and that my policy went through February. I just told them that I didn’t want anything to do with State Farm. She said that she could credit back up to 30 days.

Why have an insurance company that is going to penalize you or even drop you because of the first time you use the insurance (which is what it’s there for)? They had no problem taking my money on the same date every month like clockwork. But the second I claim a penny of that back, they’re like, "Screw you". I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND STATE FARM TO MY WORST ENEMY. I would give it 0 stars if that was an option.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

First off luckily this is not my insurance company. But I was hit by someone who has this piss-poor insurance. It has been almost 4 weeks now since my accident calling them every day my attorney calling them every day and their same excuse is that they have not heard from their clients yet. Well I don't know about anyone else but I think I would take a police report over what any client says anyway. My attorney has provided them with a police report. I have called. I don't know how many times he has called. I don't know how many times and my truck sits at the body shop waiting to get fixed as I get no way to work waiting on a rental car off on these ** again.

I would not recommend this insurance to my worst enemy. I would run as far away from it as I could if someone was to recommend it to me. Please be aware they are Crooks and this is how they work. I am going to be forced to sue their client instead of them I suppose and take everything she owns even though she's paying for insurance.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had my car broken into. They smashed a window and stole a travel bag I foolishly left in my car while shopping at what I was to learn by the responding police officer is a notoriously dangerous parking lot that the owners refuse to install security cameras in. State Farm's response was good. I had an appointment to repair the smashed window within 2 days. Although after filing the initial claim I was still unsure of who I needed to work with. That was not made clear to me by my local State Farm agent so there were a few unneeded back and forth attempts that I feel could have been avoided if my local agent had just told me to deal with their claims office. Also I didn't realize that even with full coverage on my car's policy only the comprehensive part applies to the replacement and or repairs to the car. No content coverage although my homeowner's policy would have covered the contents after the deductible.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Been with State Farm for over 10 yrs. Never been happier with an Ins. Co. or Agent in Topeka, Ks. But we just moved out of state and have to find a new one provider. :( Hope to find one we like just as good.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I've been a State Farm customer for over 30 years. I will be changing insurance companies due to State Farm's less than caring attitude and their slowness in getting a claims adjuster to check out my car (over a week for someone to do this) and their slowness in getting me a check so I can get my car. Today marks the 11 days without my car. The problem? Rodents ate my engine wire. Car dealer had the part in a day. State Farm is the culprit.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was in a no fault accident recently. I've been a State Farm customer for decades, & this is the first time I've had to rely on them. I phoned in the accident, & they handled everything on the spot in a reasonable time frame. I've always heard that they pay off, & they did. I had a rental car that afternoon, & when I learned later that my car was totaled, I received a check that exceeded my expectations. The accident was written off as a forgiveness, my rates didn't go up, & the rate adjustment to my new vehicle was barely noticeable. State Farm is convenient, honest and reliable.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

On October 4, 2018, while driving my 2015 Toyota Corolla, I was struck by a driver, whose car was insured by State Farm. The details of this accident can be found detailed in Georgia State Patrol crash case **. This report finds the driver of the car insured by State Farm completely at fault for the accident. My car was totaled, which by the way it took over two months for State Farm to come to this conclusion.

My car was my business. I do ride-share for Uber and Lyft. It is how I have made my living for the last three years. I have not made a dime since the accident. I provided proof of my income including tax information. The claim specialist assigned to my claim, stated that my proof of income, "looked convoluted to her". She has twice told me I should have used the rental (that I had to give back over a month ago) to do ride share?!? Each time I told her that, I can't use a car rented in this fashion to do ride share, it's against the guidelines and may be illegal.

On Oct. 4th 2018, I had a legitimate way to make a income and support myself and help my children with their needs. Due to the accident, I lost that and have been struggling to get back on my feet. Accidents happen, it's a fact of life. But it is why we pay for insurance. The driver who hit me, I'm sure paid for the protection of insurance, in case it was ever needed. The minimum for liability and property damage in the state of Georgia is 25/50/25. That driver didn't pay State Farm for coverage for them to not hold up their end on the claim. I received a letter dated Oct 5, 2018 from State Farm saying "We have received notice of your loss", and how they have "remarkable claim services."

More than once at the start of this process, I was told State Farm takes total liability for the accident. So why after not being able to travel to my mother's for Thanksgiving, which was over a month after the accident, do I have to explain why I can't travel home for the upcoming holidays? It took 'til Nov the 11th for State Farm to get back to me about my injuries and loss of income. At which time they offered to pay the ambulance and ER bill and basically ignored my loss of business and income. Also in taking their offer I release State Farm from any other bills or complications and difficulties I may face in the future due to the accident that happen on Oct 4th of this year.

My claim specialist even said, "you should be healed by now, it was just soft tissue injuries" After I stated that I was in an accident that resulted in my car being totaled. I was in that car so yes I have injuries, pain and suffering. There is a whole industry built off litigation. It is built off the back and forth of Giant Insurance Company and Lawyers. It is a vicious cycle that plays out in commercials and billboards nationwide. It is a cycle I find myself like others held captive to.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was rear-ended by a driver that caused my vehicle to be out of commission for days. I got the run-around from everyone I spoke with at State Farm and they were EXTREMELY RUDE. They did absolutely NOTHING to help the situation. Everyone knows when someone slams into the back of you and causes injuries severe enough for them to declare a “total loss” the individual was following too closely PERIOD. They did not take any action to repair my vehicle or help with my medical care although their insured caused me to suffer a concussion along with other injuries. I was passed from person to person, hung up on, overtalked, and I had to pay for and provide them with the accident report. They did not obtain. State Farm’s customer service is horrible and I pray that no one else has to go through this experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My mother has been under this insurance plan since the 1980s. I got into an accident because the other driver did not check his blind-spot and came into my lane. I was a fairly new driver and this was my first accident. Furthermore, I didn't know what to do and did not ask the other driver for his insurance info. However, I had his license plate number but State Farm claimed that they could not locate him because it was a fake driver's plate??? I filed a search through DMV and was able to find the other driver and provided State Farm with the information. It was not a fake and I feel like they were too lazy to do the research.

Anyways, they finally sent a claim to the other party (according to the rep) but I still have not gotten any word back. It has been over 9 months. They have raised the monthly payment for my mother by a ton and even tried to kick my family out of our plan. I feel so wronged and unfair because my family must suffer because of the idiot that crashed into me. I thought my insurance was supposed to be on my side and try to help me, instead they try to scheme their way to steal their customers' money. Total scam of an insurance. We can't even switch to a different insurance plan if we wanted to because of my accident. Once our premium goes down then we will definitely switch to a different auto insurance company. Thanks State Farm for nothing!!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Offers recommendations for everything related to cars and cycles. Bodywork and detail specialists who have been very good. Their advice online resource center helped me find a mechanic who did a thorough inspection and offered tires for a reasonable price.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Steve and his staff are always very helpful. They have a great understanding of the diverse make up of families and support our needs. They have gone above and beyond to provide information and service. Steve also donates to our area school to support in our Love Awards Program. His donations are very much appreciated. Thank you, Steve and Staff. You are awesome.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I use to always think that State Farm is a good company until one time I got involved in an accident where other vehicle sideswiped my vehicle and State Farm decided to hold me liable for it without doing any proper investigation. To me State Farm is a big scam company. I won’t recommend anybody to make a mistake going with State Farm because if you get in an accident they will make your life miserable.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

After telling them NOT to take the automatic withdrawal out of my account, they took it out anyway only on a different day and for over $100 more than my normal monthly amount!!! By doing this, we couldn't pay our rent and now we are looking at being evicted!!! I cancelled my policy to try to get the money back because clearly a roof over your head is more important than car insurance (especially when there would have been a grace period originally). But, not only are they NOT giving us all our money back, but what they are giving us back is going to ultimately take almost two weeks to get back.

By then the eviction process will be in full force... My husband has been unemployed for almost a year and we have been barely hanging on... Do you think Doug ** cares at all about any of this? Do you think he even communicated with me once regarding this matter??? NO WAY!!!! In fact, he left it to one of his employees to handle and actually reprimanded him for even trying to give us our money back at all!!! I have been a customer of Doug **'s for 2 years and 5 months and I have never once talked with him or had any communication with him!!!! He only cares about taking your money and nothing else!!! He is a fraud and a heartless human!!! Do not ever do business with him!!! He will swindle you every chance he can!!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

My girlfriend, who is on the policy, was recently involved in an accident which all agree was the other driver's fault. Our car was totaled. We found a car, same make, model and year nearby, but didn't like the color. Our car had 100k miles and the other car had 130k miles. We ended up buying a newer car. The other car sold for $4,995.00. State Farm offered us $3,400.00 for our car. I sent them verification of that sale.

They are totally unresponsive and the local agent is worthless. At first they said we would have to deal with the other driver's insurance company. After getting them straightened out on that, we had to pay to get the police report for them. They never initiate a call, we always have to call them. They say they will call back, but never do. They said they base their reimbursement on wholesale car value. I said we are not a dealer, we have to pay retail price. Finally after calling back today they upped their offer to $4,300.00. They said all the cars they are finding are less. I said, "How many miles are on the cars, what is their condition? Send me your comparisons." No response.

I pay over $12,000.00 a year in premiums to these guys. I have been a customer since the early '80s. I've had problems with them settling claims in the past. It seems they are always trying to do as little as possible and pay as little as they can get away with. I would not recommend them to anyone. I plan to shop for a new company and cancel every policy with them. I've already told them and they don't seem to care. I would have given them zero stars, but that wasn't an option.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

State Farm has TERRIBLE Claims service. My daughter was in an accident, the claims center called 3 times to get a statement and each time said it was the other driver's fault, she also had a witness. She was making a 3 point u-turn into a commercial driveway while another vehicle was stopped waiting for her parking spot. Impatient Drive #2, drove around the stopped car, crossing a double yellow line and T-BONED my daughter at appx 10-15 miles per hour.

The 2nd Driver & insurance contested. State Farm required we pay $1000 deductible, they claimed the vehicle was Totaled. We suffered a loss on the value & we Salvaged the car. State Farm Claims information was then sent to ARBITRATION. The Arbitrator ruled against my daughter. State Farm stated it because "she said U-TURN, rather than the 3 Point U-turn." Absolutely ridiculous! I was sitting with her and I know she said 3 Point U Turn. They try to get out of every claims. Now they are going to raise her insurance rates! SUCH A SCAM! THIEVES!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Do you want dishonest people handling your claims? Sign up with State Farm! In order to get a refund for damages to my car, I submitted a police report which said, "The video showed Unit #2 stopping and unit #1 continued to back up and strike unit #2." (I'm unit #2. I stopped my vehicle and unit #1 struck my car). However, because the report says, 'stopping' they said that they can't grant my refund. I was angry, but I said okay. I'll get them video evidence. It took a couple of weeks for me to get this precious video evidence from the police. I said to myself, "they couldn't possibly have any argument against my claim now." Oh boy I was wrong. Now they're saying, that the video is unreadable... Unbelievable!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been a policyholder for over 20 years with car and home protection. I have not experienced any problems with questions/concerns around costs, fees and rates over the years. However, my insurance rates are much higher when I compared them to other smaller companies.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I called in for auto insurance quotes from Eddie ** State Farm Agent in Colorado. I was helped by Jose **. Asked for quotes for 2 of our Subaru cars. He got all the info. expecting to get the quotes right away, he said he'll have to run the numbers and call me back. 3 or 4 days later he calls me for the quotes, I didn't pick up as I didn't know the number, he left a voicemail for it. He just said to call him back as he has the quotes ready and still leaves me a voicemail 2, 3 weeks later.

What I'm writing about is how late they respond to the quotes! It should not take that long for insurance quotes, let alone 4 days of it. I called other insurance companies for quotes and they gave me numbers on the spot. I didn't have to wait days for it. State Farm lost my business on this, I'm never calling for any insurance from them ever again. And shouldn't they already know that if you don't answer or call them back, should they realize that the person already got insurance from someone else.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Called for an emergency tow. Tiffany stated that I do not have that coverage while driving my son's car which is not on my policy. She also stated that my insurance is NOT active on any vehicle not on my policy. When I asked her to verify: She said that I do not have insurance coverage for accidents, damages, or emergencies on any vehicle that is not specifically on my policy. I've never heard of any auto insurance company that doesn't cover a customer at all times.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

All I wanted was a good quote for camper van liability Insurance. I think State Farm trying to rip me off because I am 77 years old and got a horrendous quote from a company appearing to try to do business as Todd Stewart State Farm Ins. I removed a large motorhome ($9.69) per month, purchased a camper van and now was Quoted $71.00 per month. Maria a clerk or maybe the floor sweeper, gave me that quote. I gave you one star because there in none lower.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky