Fast Free Quotes

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.84/5
Based on 2,623 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Personally speaking I've never had any problems with State Farm. The office I call has always been helpful. The staff are friendly and kind and usually resolve any issues I may have. I have had other insurance policies with State farm over the years. I was involved in 2 separate accidents over the years and they were always prompt with the whole process from start to finish. I have had insurance with State farm for over 20 years and they have always been friendly and kind no matter what the issue may be. I recommend State farm to anyone who might be looking for a different insurance company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Trax in April and in July I was parked and woke up the next morning to my car being hit from behind. I immediately notified State Farm and automatically felt a sense of relief. Everyone I spoke with helped me with my claim, the repair of my car and rental. My State Farm agent's office called to make sure everything was going well with my claim, you get what you pay for. State Farm's rates may be a little higher than other companies but is well worth it for a peace of mind. Belinda **. Chicago, IL.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have had State Farm Insurance for many (30) years, and I have always enjoyed the personal attention I get when I need to add or change insurance, or if I have a claim. Recently, I was on a trip, and was eating at a restaurant with family, and when I came out of the restaurant, my van had been severely damaged by a hit and run driver. We assume it was a drunk driver. When I called my State Farm agent, they were happy to hear that I was not injured, and then they were ready to work on the damaged van. From the first call, to the completed repairs, was TWO WEEKS! I am talking about some serious repairs were completed in TWO WEEKS.

State Farm has many Preferred Provider shops, that do estimates, and repairs for them. They are trusted, and certified shops, and that means it cuts through the usual delays, and gets the repairs done quickly. State Farm, paid exactly what they said they would, quickly, and clearly. My agent called to be sure everything was to my satisfaction, and the repairs look great. This is how insurance is supposed to work. I can't say enough good about State Farm.

My agent said that they are in the check writing business. I said "What?" He said, "If we don't write checks, then we aren't helping people when they need help." Now that is my kind of agent, and my kind of insurance company. I don't shop around for a cheaper company. Insurance is supposed to give you coverage so you can sleep at night, and have help when you really need it. I get that with State Farm.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I see all these negative claims against State Farm. So I thought I'd write a positive one. We've had a couple of claims in the past 5 years and both were handled to our complete satisfaction. Neither was our fault, but our state is a "no fault" status. The first incident was a young lady texting who ran a red light and broadsided my wife in our newest vehicle. Thank God, no injury to my wife but an expensive fix to the vehicle. And there was a witness. The second incident was unusual. We live in a condo and the snowplow driver never came so the slush built up and then froze. When my wife came home from work, she helplessly tried to stop in the driveway and slid right into the garage door. Both claims were handled very well. They have always been fair to us. The only reason I can't fully give 5 stars is because rates on older vehicles keep raising a bit every few months.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was rear-ended by a motorist that had either no or very bad insurance and had to use my policy to get my car repaired. State Farm called me promptly on Thanksgiving weekend to tell me what steps to take and assign a file number. The person I spoke to could not have been nicer or more helpful. The car was repaired but had to be taken back for further repair and State Farm provided me with a rent car so I could make Christmas in Dallas area with my family. I had no problems.

I have been with State Farm for over 50 years - homeowners and automobile coverage and will never change. I have never had bad service or slow service. I had a home claim on water damage and was paid on the spot when agent came out to look at damage. I really do not understand the bad reviews as I have had claims from Texas to Arkansas over the years and not one complaint could I find. I feel very safe and well taken care of by the considerate and helpful agents I have dealt with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I have been a loyal customer for 17 years. In September of 2019 I am struck by a young lady at 70mph without hitting her brakes while I was stopped to turn left. The accident was not my fault. I had injuries and my PIP was ate up with hospital bills. Since Florida is a “no fault” state with PIP you are forced to file for injuries first under your own insurance and then the remaining over 10,000 rolls onto the other parties insurance. I am over 50 never an accident and 2 tickets in my twenties for speeding.

Over the 17 years with State Farm I estimated that my wife and I had paid them over $23,000.00 without a claim once ten years ago for a windshield. My bill was always $130 a month and higher depending on the newness of the vehicle. Get this, a new bill came for $275 for a month and I was told that the new rate is because of the accident. The accident I was not at fault for. The accident that law enforcement charges the other driver with. That they have to compensate for the $10k they paid out. Funny so over 17 years paying $23,000 to them. They have to compensate. Went to Geico and got insurance for $149.00 a month. DO NOT TRUST STATE FARM!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We were one of two vehicles hit by a drunk driver, while parked on the side of the road. Both of the vehicles were totaled. Our insurance company got through the process in 2 weeks, while State Farm took 4 months to process the other totaled vehicle. So we also had to wait the 4 months before the claim was paid out. Glad we have Bear River and not State Farm insurance. They are a large bureaucracy where no one person is in charge of handling a claim, it just goes from department to department which is super inefficient.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My car was struck by an elderly State Farm Insurance carrier who admitted that the accident was his fault. Then the State Farm adjuster's get involved and try to settle for less than what they should be covering. When the car was in the shop, State Farm starts saying that there was prior damage and begin their stalling tactics. This is a very poor company and tries to take advantage of senior citizens with their strongarm tactics. Never do business with this company, now I must bring a lawsuit against their client to recover for damages that are not being paid by State Farm. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH STATE FARM. The state Insurance commissioner is being appraised of the situation.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I just signed up with State Farm after trying Progressive and Liberty Mutual. I wish I had done a more thorough research as my experience with Sam ** @ the Ballwin location was top notch! Hope I will not have to use it, but as far as ok with spending the money for coverage, I'm pleased with this decision

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

State Farm sucks, especially when you tried to file a claim against them. The accident happened on November 2019, when I turned left to College Point Blvd when it is green light. State Farm's customer pulled out his car from the parking space on college point blvd and hitted my car on the right hand side doors. State Farm customer also hitted the car that was parking in front of him. I had been calling state farm so many time in the first 2 weeks, the answer they gave to me is they couldn't reach the insurer and they will sent out a final notice to the insurer, if the insurer didn't response back by Dec 31,2019, they will close the claim and get an estimate to fix my car.

I called state farm back on January 2, 2020, they told me they denied the claim because of my unsafe left turn. I was like wtf, what does unsafe left turn mean? Did I run red light, or did I make improper left turn when there is ongoing car? It is one way, green light, all cars are either turning left or right into College Point Blvd. The car who was pulling out from the parking space should have aware of oncoming cars. The adjuster couldn't answer me, she said she will have to contact insurer for more info. This is all **. I will hire an attorney to fight for it no matter how much I will have to pay to that attorney. This is so ridiculous. Never ever use state farm.

Not sure about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become ranked No. 41 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance for a myriad of auto emergencies, such as running out of gas or oil, getting a flat tire or locking their keys in their car.

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car during repairs are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, such as classic car insurance and even antique car insurance for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor