State Farm Auto Insurance

4,587people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with State Farm Auto Insurance :

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Unless you are clairvoyant in the ways of water, avoid State Farm. Apparently, if you have a leak in your house that goes undetected for any amount of time, you are not covered. Even if the offending leak originates in a wall, behind a sink and you have no clue what's happening because you lost your x-ray vision eyes on vacation. Even if you react the moment symptoms appear (in the form of a lot of water that wasn't just there...) and let your fingers do the panic attack thing dialing for a plumber, unfortunately, sadly, and most unexpectedly, State Farm refused to cover any of the water damage to our house. The water that came out of that pipe behind the sink had its way with our tile, lower cabinets, the dining room carpet and part of a wall. It was fast and ugly.

State Farm does NOT want to be confused by the facts. They chose to ignore statements from a master plumber and a water restoration expert who said this was an immediate incident. They found it especially inconvenient when we supplied a statement made by a third party who was told by our insurance agent that the adjuster based his findings on what he saw under my house, when we told them that three people will attest to the fact that the adjuster never went near the crawl space. Oops. Now I know how Al Gore feels...

After paying premiums (since 1984, hmmm....) to what we thought was an honest company that "had our back," State Farm refuses to believe what we are telling them, to look at the facts, refuses to send another adjuster, has ignored all of the evidence we have put in front of them and has left us on our own to rebuild an entire kitchen. The. Whole. Thing. The favorite State Farm line is, "State Farm regrets the inconvenience." I regret State Farm.

An owner of a gas station (Start Farm insured) constructed a sign directing traffic on their property and my car was damaged by $500, also State Farm insured. There is a City Ord specific to signs directing traffic on commercial property. The property owner did not receive approval from the City to construct the sign. If they had it would not be approved as designed because it caused a "trap" that damages vehicles vs a warning to the driver. State Farm asked me to show them the law and I did with the Ordinance as well as verification the sign was not approved by the City. Regardless State Farm still denied my claim.

In May of 2016 my car was damaged by a hit and run driver. The police found the driver after approx. 3 weeks. Driver admitted to damaging my vehicle and driving off! State Farm was notified about the damage to my vehicle and a report of the damage was sent to them. State Farm does not want to accept the damage claim and basically called me a liar! The agent at State Farm stated that it would do no good to complain to the state Bureau of Insurance or to file a claim in court. Agent stated "go for it" in a challenging way. State Farm is like a "Bad Neighbor" for they are never there!

Re: CLAIM NUMBER: **. This is a formal complaint regarding the customer service that I received from State Farm Insurance Company. I have been a State Farm customer since May 2006 with home, auto, and personal insurance policies. On July 16, 2016, at approximately 2 pm I called the State Farm Claims Department (855-341-8184) to file a claim because my 2007 Dodge Charger had been broken into and vandalized. I spoke to the representative at great length, detailing the damages, expressing my frustration about being a victim of a crime and inquiring about how to go about obtaining a rental car. On July 18, I picked up a rental car from Hertz Car Rental. On July 19, at 3:45 PM, my vehicle was towed from my driveway by Thomas Tow Truck Company and taken to their tow yard located at 11499 Douglas Rd Rancho Cordova CA 95742, where it sat for six days.

By July 23, State Farm had not contacted me so I called the claims number again and spoke with Theresa. She informed me that the only damage found by the adjuster was the broken lock. She stated that there weren't any notes describing any damages to my vehicle. At this point my vehicle was still sitting at the tow yard and hadn't been evaluated, no one had contacted me, and the State Farm representative was telling me there is no documentation of any damages outside of the lock being broken. I explained to Theresa that when I initially called on July 16, I went into great detail describing the damage to my car. She apologized and took my entire statement again and asked where I wanted to get my car repaired. Theresa informed me that another adjuster will be sent to the repair shop to look over my entire car and get the repairs done.

On July 25, I called State Farm and told them that I decided to go with Anderson Brothers Body Shop, a State Farm Service Select Shop. My car was then towed from Thomas Tow Truck Company to Anderson Brothers on July 27. On July 29, I again contacted the Claims Department at approximately 1 pm. I spoke to a representative named Madison. She informed me that their evaluation concluded that my car had not been broken into. To say that I was shocked would be an understatement! Madison stated that "There is no way anyone broke into your car." Now, I am a decorated 16 year veteran Sacramento County Probation Officer with an impeccable record and I did not appreciate basically being told that I was lying. Madison continued to allude that I was lying about my car being vandalized so I asked to speak to her manager.

A man who stated that his name was Chris got on the phone and stated that he was Madison's manager. Before I could speak one word, Chris stated I am in agreement with Madison. I then asked both individuals what the process is when a customer does not agree with the findings of the insurance company. They both responded there isn't one. At that point I ended the phone call and called my Agent, Alicia ** directly.

I explained to Ms. **, in great detail, the pattern of events that transpired from my initial call to the claims department on July 16, up to the conversation with Madison and Chris. I explained to her that State Farm had not once contacted me about the status of my claim. I told her that the initial adjuster not only did not look at my car but wrote in his report that my car was in horrible condition which is an absolute fabrication. Both the tow yard and Anderson Brothers can attest to the supreme condition that my nine year old car is in. I told her that I was basically called a liar by Madison and Chris and that I had continuously been treated rudely, disrespectfully and quite unfairly. Alicia apologized and her assistant Jennifer also called and apologized but neither had answers as to why I was being treated and spoken to in such a negative manner.

On August 5, someone from State Farm named Cedric called me. Cedric simply stated that "State Farm will not be repairing your car." I was shocked! Three weeks of going back and forth and it all came down to a two minute telephone call from Cedric basically telling me that I was out of luck. That was the very last straw for me. I called Ms. ** to tell her about Cedric's call. She was unsure as to why I received the call and told me she would follow up.

On August 12, almost one month after I initially contacted the State Farm Claims Department, Matt from Anderson Brothers called to inform me that my car repairs were done and I could pick up my car even though State Farm had not signed off on the supplemental paperwork. Matt stated that he was almost sure they will sign off but given my recent experiences with State Farm, I told him that I would wait until everything was finalized.

On August 15, 2016, I picked up my car. One day shy of 30 days since I initially called the State Farm Claims Department. The absurdity of this entire ordeal is that after my deductible of $500, State Farm will only have to pay $163.29. State Farm lost a long-term customer and many potential referrals over $163.29. That is just not good business sense.

I came to State Farm in 2006 on the recommendation of one of your very long time customers. For 10 years I paid my premiums on time, every month. I've never had to make a claim and up until July 16, 2016, I'd never had a problem or concern. It is unfortunate that the first time that I have to make a claim, I am treated as if I am trying to be fraudulent to the company that I have patronized for a decade. In the span of approximately 30 days, State Farm has questioned my character, lied, mislead, misinformed, and ignored me.

The State Farm Facebook page states: "At State Farm, you're more than just a policy number. At State Farm our mission is to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. The State Farm founders Philosophy for State Farm in 1922 was Being fair and doing what's right for the customer. Today, that philosophy still drives us." These statements describe exactly what I believed I would receive if ever I needed to call upon State Farm for assistance. Instead, the way I was treated was directly the opposite; I was treated like a policy number. I had to fight to get someone to help me recover from the unexpected. I was not treated fairly and the right thing was definitely not done for me. If the customer service that I received is indicative of State farm's customer service across the board, these statements are misleading and deceptive.

The customer service I have endured is way below standards and State Farm has some major training issues and customer service problems. I have gladly canceled all of my policies with this company and taken my home, car and personal insurance to one of your competitors. I would like to end this on a positive note and say that Ms. Alicia ** and her assistant Jennifer were very, very helpful once I contacted them.

I had a car accident in July of 2015. It caused approximately $12,000 damage to my car. My car never drove the same. The gas mileage dropped. The car felt and sounded different. My car started locking itself in place. I took it to repair shop and they found I needed a air bag sensor and brake light switch assembly. I filed my supplemental claim with State Farm on 8/22/16. They emailed a link for the repair shop to sent the estimate which they did on 8/26/16. I called claims numerous times. They claimed they didn't receive the info until 9/1/16. Did I mention the repair shop cc the estimate to me. I called again this morning and they finally denied my claim. I can't prove the accident caused the repairs and they can't prove it didn't. The big bad insurance company wins again. Thanks State Farm for not handling this claim in a timely manner and treating me like I was never insured by your company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

I have been with State Farm since 1958 and my mother and father before that! I had my first real accident since 1964 or so. No injury but damage to the car and the air bags deployed. Everything that could and should have gone well went wrong. The present claim department is a joke!! They should be run out of business! All the people I have referred to State Farm over the years I wish I go back and retract my referral. Customer service NONE! Help and aid on the roadside none existent!

The claims persons can't give a straight answer to anything... They hedge and wiggle without telling you what is happening. I was stuck over a 1000 miles away from home and I could not get a straight answer. I am now shopping my insurance as are so many other State Farm customers. If they don't fix the claims department don't use them - you are wasting your money.

Was super satisfied with State Farm until I was dropped due to 2 claims I never actually filed. Was never told that simply calling regarding claim options and processes, was the same as filing a claim which would count against my policy, regardless of the fact that I never even continued the process. Nor was I told filing 2 claims would lead to termination of my policy. When I called to get help on the matter, "nothing could be done because it's ultimately the underwriter's decision." Even though nothing was paid out, or finalized. A claims, a claims, a claim I guess. Thanks for the heads up State Farm.

I have been a State Farm Loyal Customer for about forty years. This is the second time this company has refused to believe my explanations, and truths. They have, instead, just accepted the responsible person's explanations even when they were not truthful. In my case the cost of the accidents were not great. One of the accidents was with an uninsured person that State Farm believed instead of their own victim (me). State Farm has not got the Back of their Customers, and are misleading us as such a good company. State Farm refused to obtain Video Records from Bank of America. My Wife was blamed and our Vehicle was repaired, while I lost my deductible.

My Son was hit in the rear quarter of his vehicle by a truck that was speeding more than 40 MPH above the limit and ran a red light. His vehicle was totaled. State Farm blamed my son, until he obtained an Attorney to represent him against State Farm Insurance Company and the other Ins. Co. That stopped State Farm from blaming him and forced them to investigate. He was not held responsible. HOW DOES THIS COMPANY STAY IN BUSINESS??

I contact State Farm because I use their Roadside service. I took my car for a oil change and found out my transmission was leaking. After I use their service my transmission begin to leak. I took my Ford Escape to Tommie Ford in Houston. I contact State Farm where the axle where they hook up my car broke seal on transmission causing it to leak. I took my car to one of their prefer company. I had not heard anything in a week so I contact repair job for status of my car and he told me call State Farm.

State Farm call me back. Left a message on voice mail saying unless I can prove it was a manufactory problem. I call Ford corp. office to see if they had any programs or recall with my VIN number they said. I contact State Farm and inform them Ford do not have any recall on my vehicle. Now State Farm is saying it worn out. I have not receive anything in writing from State Farm. I have been with State Farm for years. Because I have homeowner with them. They said it will be cheaper. This is a decision I will regret for life.

On August 22nd I sold my car to someone else. I call my agent a few days later to let them take it off my bill. That was never done. I was told that a email was send to me but I never received it. So I call the office again and spoke with a lady I will call Ms. **. Well she was very rude and disrespectful. She told me that it's not her job to so what I was asking about. Then I talk to Mr. ** and he helped me as much as he could.

So then I call the call center and the young lady was so nice to me. She said she would do as much as she could. Then she said she would call my agency. I told her "here we go again." So the same lady picked up the phone and was very disrespectful to her. She could not believe that Ms ** was talking that way. I told her that she did me the same way. With workers like that would make a person leave and go somewhere else. My mom has been with them over 25 yrs. And so has my whole family. If something don't be done to her I will keep filing complaint to everyone. The New is next.

On September 2, 2016 my car overheated while driving through a rough neighborhood. I called State Farm to request a tow at 12:30 noon. They told me someone will arrive at 1:40 pm. At 2 pm I called back to get an update and was told that the tow truck broke down so they are sending another driver and he should arrive 60 minutes. I asked if they were certain that someone was coming out because I was in a bad area sitting in a CTS Coupe and did not feel safe.

The representative suggested that I call the police immediately!!!. WHAT?! I called again at 2:10 pm and spoke with a rude rep that said "we try to get someone out dar to you!". Yikes! The short version, they refused to call a different tow company and I asked if they only work one tow service I was told that they have several but for whatever reason they refused to send someone. I contacted Cadillac (they offer free towing) and they finally sent someone to tow my car at 5:30 pm. I'm paying State Farm and they fail to provide service to me in a crucial moment. Did I mention that I called again around 4 pm and I rep laughed at me as I complained about the service.

I reported the claim within 2 hours of happening, giving my cell phone number as preferred contact. My husband was injured. After 10 day I called the claim number and was told that my home phone had been used for contact. I had spent all but two night with my husband who was in the hospital. I do not know if the phone information did not get on the claim or adjuster never bothered to read the claim, or maybe he just got drunk and did not show up for work. I would like to report the PIP claim for lost wages was worked timely but it has been 4 mailing days and check has not been received.

State Farm hassled me for over a year refusing to pay my claim when one of their insured ran into my car. After many calls and letters to them the situation is still not resolved. I am also being hassled because I have filed a diminished value claim. I have had enough. I'm filing a lawsuit against them tomorrow. People do not do business with this company. Simply go to court and maybe then they will do something.

Claim number **. My name is Emeka. On the 7/30/2016 we my car was flooded and state farm Insurance has not been able to fix my vehicle or even paid the repair shop to fix my vehicle. I will not recommend them to anybody that I know and I have been with them for the past 4 years. This is the first time that I have needed them to take care of my flood vehicle. Today is 8/27/2016 and I have no rental car. I have not seen any money from state farm to repair my car. All they keep asking is send in this and send in that. Then when you send, it will take 5 business days for them to review it and 5 days will turn to 3 weeks and even 1 month. I bought my own parts to fix my vehicle and even till today I have not been paid. All they keep saying is someone will come out next week and look at the vehicle.

Date of loss: 07/11/16. Called State Farm telling them I suspected someone had tried to loosen lug nuts on rim of car. Date of loss: 07/24/16. 7/24/2016- Car began to shake while driving, pulled over to the side of the road. I called roadside assistance with State Farm. Tow truck towed me to the apartment. The tow truck left. Out of duress I should have had tow truck drive me to a mechanic but did not.

I called roadside assistance again and they sent someone out to tow me. I noticed that there was only one lug nut attached to rim. While tow truck driver attempted to attach to truck the lug nut snapped off. Tow truck wasn't able to tow. Tow truck driver removed the tire after using a jack from my car. Tow truck driver called to have another person come out and tow the car. Another tow truck arrived but did not have the right tow truck. I needed a wrecker tow truck in order to have it safely towed. They refused to tow it. There was another tow truck sent out but they could not tow it with no lug nut and no wheel. I kept car in parking lot.

7/28/2016- car was towed to dealership. 8/1- I called State Farm to check on the status of the inspector to come out and look at the car to see how much they would cover. The car was inspected. 8/2/2016- State Farm sent me a check for 239.79 to cover for the repairs. My deductible payment to mechanic was 500.00. State Farm attempted to contact mechanic to see if there were any supplemental estimates that could be paid by State Farm. 8/4/2016- Mechanic wasn't aware that State Farm appraiser came out to inspect the vehicle.

8/5/2016- Went to State Farm office to talk about how disappointed I was about having to pay so much out of pocket. Representative said she would contact the appraisers and manager about my situation. They then told me (after the fact that I had the car towed to a dealership) that State Farm refers customers to have car towed to a preferred mechanic under State Farm which would have been cheaper and I only would have had to pay the 500.00 deductible and State Farm would have paid the rest for repairs. Manager and appraiser never got back to me. I am going to write a letter of complaint and keeping my file open, even if I already paid for the repairs and now I am in tons of debt. Please get back to me with any advice you have. Thanks.

I have been with State Farm for 12 years. I've had one accident during that whole time. I made some changes to my policy a little over a year ago and when I added a new car was told I only qualified for the high risk policy. I tried to fight it but had to had insurance... It's the law! So, six months later I call trying to get them to review to reduce my cost only to discover that the reason I was on the high risk policy was not what they told me originally. And the reason I was on it was not valid. It took me six months to finally get someone to realize they made a mistake and I was told it would take a bit but they'd get me a credit for the difference in the year I overpaid. I waited three months and now am being told they can only go back 30 days. How a company can overcharge you for a year and then tell you they aren't going to fix THEIR mistake is absolutely ridiculous!

My brother has been with State Farm for many years. He has 2 old trucks with full coverage. In June 2016 a driver in a pick up ran a stop sign and hit him. Travis was told it was the other person fault, here is all their info, they will pay for damages. He then contacts his agent who shortly informs him that the driver was not the owner of truck and refused to pay. He said to his agent, the driver said he was insured and one of the policies was the driver's. At first his agent said he would have to claim off his policy but he would take care of him. Travis's first mistake he did not get a lawyer.

About a month and several phone calls and office visits he is told he would get replacement value. He said "that is all I want." Trying to be a good person he asked what he need to do to get the ball rolling. State Farm said he need to get a lean release for a clear title to move paperwork on. 2nd mistake. He does that and State Farm sends him a letter saying his truck is only worth $4300. It is a 93 Dodge Diesel club cab. Motor and trans strong. He calls and talks to someone saying it was not enough that truck is worth more like $8800. He is told that he needs to have an adjuster look at it. State Farm said they did not have an adjuster who could come out but they would pick it up and take it to their office then they would give him a better price and get him a check out.

That was more than 3 weeks ago. It was picked up on Friday July 29th. The following Mon he called them back and asked when he would be getting his truck back. The truck was completely drivable and his transportation. State Farm said they would not give it back, he could not have it back. When it was picked up it was drivable and the right side from wheel to wheel was damaged. Then they said they would only give him $3800, it is totaled and he could buy it back out of the $3800.

After many phone call, many hrs with State Farm, Sheryl said "well we have his truck and that is more than I would pay for that truck." Her complaint was it was dirty and needs a paint job. He did not decide one day he wanted a new truck and was going to sell it. If that was the case detail and paint job and they sell for $12,988 like his. I mean sell, people pay that. All he wants is enough $ to buy a like truck not a nicer. When I went to pay my Farmer's bill I asked my agent and he said they should pay at least enough to buy one of same on low side. But Sheryl with State Farm claims said "we have his truck and what are you going to do."

The worst part is he has Parkinson and they know it. They cannot understand him over the phone so he had to go to his agent's office until he knew he was not helping him. After 3 crazy calls from him to State Farm telling them to talk to me because he could not take the stress. Now I have sent the about 20 emails with like trucks selling for $7000 to $20,000, most of the ones that were for sale last week are already sold. If you have a claim with State Farm get a good lawyer because they do criminal acts.

State Farm's insured admitted fault at the scene in front of the police officer, who wrote it in the police report. Still SF refused to pay and it was just for my scratched fender. Now I'm going to have to file a small claims case, which will cost SF much more to answer. I have never dealt with more problems than I have with State Farm.

I just attempted to call and provide information about an accident. I called the main number, gave the claim number, then I was sent to someone else who was so rude and unhelpful that I asked to speak to someone else. While on hold again, I decided to call my local insurance agent instead, who redirected me back into your system. Why would you have a system that is so OBSTRUCTIVE to someone actually calling to provide information about an accident, and seeking some assistance about the process? I come from a family of policyholders for State Farm, spanning over 100 years. I no longer recognize their dehumanizing and hostile claim processing system and rude call center employees. I used to speak with claims processors directly, sometimes in person!

They actually were "like a good neighbor" back then. Now the local insurance offices just sell policies (and have been getting pushier) but no longer help with claims in any way. For those of you who never want to deal with people directly, and are satisfied with website only interaction, State Farm is for you. Times have certainly changed. Once this claim is finally processed, I will be switching insurance companies. Probably to my Credit Union, where people are still personable (for now).

My experience with State Farm Auto Insurance was chaos. From adjusters to inputting wrong information such as name and social security while having verified with them on multiple occasions to the lack of professionalism. I've had State Farm for almost a year before I noticed that State farm was a bright and shiny apple but rotten in the core and useless. The adjusters being stoic and careless with information was the cherry on the top. I do not recommend State Farm at all. The timely matter of how state farm handles their claim is as long as the drought we have in California. I don't usually create reviews but state farm is an exception to this rant. Thank you State Farm for the horrible service.

I am really hoping that I can update this with a higher rating by the time this is all settled, but right now I am pretty discouraged. My husband and I were in a collision 375 miles from home. It was entirely the fault of the other driver. There is absolutely no dispute about that. The problem is that because it was a Saturday, the only car rental agencies that were open were at the airport.

State Farm does not work directly with them and will not pay the airport fees. Bad enough. Airport rental agencies are also more expensive. We will end up paying about $150 a week out of our own pocket. The car will take at least two weeks to fix (if it is not deemed a total loss). My husband will have to take time off from work and drive 375 miles each way to get the car back. He has a bad back (mine is even worse) so it will take 2 days each way -- SF will pay for one night in a motel. The rep didn't mention fuel or any other expenses. I thought if we traded the vehicle here at a off-airport car rental agency, we could get a rate that was within the insurance limits.

No go -- State Farm won't pay the relocation fees. In the end, this accident is going to cost us a lot more than the person who caused it, and I will have a 3 year old car that has lost value because she ran into it. I haven't asked about that yet, but I am sure they don't cover that either. I've had auto, home, and life insurance with State Farm since 1980. Disappointed is a huge understatement. I hope the situation improves and I can upgrade my review, but I am not encouraged at all.

My daughter was in the passing lane on a divided highway and was hit on the passenger side by an elderly woman who came over the center line. It was stated in the police report that woman crossed the center line and also improper lane usage. Both drivers are insured by State Farm but they do not want to pay the full damages to my daughter's car. They want us to pay our deductible even though it wasn't my daughter's fault. They don't care what the police report says. They state the woman isn't admitting to crossing the line.

I can't afford an attorney to fight this and I'm sure that would cost me more than the deductible but it's the principle. My daughter had control enough of her car not to get into the median and roll her car which could have been extensive and caused injuries or even her death. I feel we're getting screwed by a big company that could care less. They keep insisting on applying that claim under my policy even after I told them I didn't want that filed under my policy but they did it anyway. We have never had a claim on our policy with State Farm or my previous insurer, American Family. I know they are trying to pay as little as possible and from other articles I have read, this is a common practice for them and has been for years.

When State Farm, with whom I already had homeowner's insurance with for 16 years offered me a lower rate on car insurance, I left my auto insurance carrier of 20 years and signed on with them. It turned out to be a big mistake! Today, just a little more than a month after making the change, I came home to find a check in the mail from State Farm refunding my recent payment with a one sentence statement that my policy was closed and to contact my agent if I had any questions. I have received no written notification that my policy was going to be cancelled, no explanation, and worst of all no time to protect myself by finding another insurance carrier.

I am 69 years old and have a nearly perfect driving record. I am the only source of transportation for my adult son who has a disability. I really regret ever laying eyes on State Farm. Now I have to start all over again, but I will and we will be fine. Just having a sleepless night tonight with this unexpected shock. Good riddance State Farm!!!

I was in an accident almost a year ago and have yet to settle. I was driving with a guy pulled out in front of me. This was scary for me and my daughter and also life changing. The agent, L. **, was kind at first and I really thought she was the to help me through it, but then she went lock on me. She was rude and attack my motherhood. I was and am very upset. But thanks to how disrespectful she treated me, I am now going to seek a lawyer in Alabama. Let them deal with her. It's depressing enough that I have to wait to settle and me and my daughter are still dealing when the after effects. Why do we have to see a therapist just to get a settlement. Why can't I just keep praying to God to heal us.

We were involved in an accident caused by a texting driver. Our claim was immediately filed with our insurance company, State Farm. For the 2 weeks we have been dealing with them, we have consistently received incorrect information from the majority of people we have spoken with in the claims department. Each person we are transferred to tells us something different than the last one we spoke with.

To begin with, some random employee in the claims department took it upon herself to assume that our vehicle was flooded based solely on the fact that it is sitting in a wrecker yard somewhere near Baton Rouge, LA. Due to this erroneous assumption, an entire week was wasted with bouncing our claim back and forth between the total loss department and the catastrophe claim department, with nobody taking the time to listen to us when we tried to explain that we were able to confirm with the wrecker company that there was absolutely no flood damage to the vehicle.

Furthermore, it has even gone so far as us being told that the vehicle is a total loss, resulting in us participating in a conference call with the total loss department and our finance company to iron out the details of State Farm's payoff for our vehicle, only to find out 5 minutes after ending that call that the vehicle is now not considered a total loss due to the claims adjuster applying incorrect assumptions to our vehicle's value AFTER the payoff arrangements had already been made with our finance company. We have actually been told 3 separate times that the vehicle is a total loss, only to have someone inform us shortly afterward that a mistake has been made and they are moving forward with the repair process.

This is just a small part of what we have had to endure in dealing with State Farm's claims department. These employees and supervisors are apparently not capable of communicating with each other or their customer to determine the facts of each claim, and they have proven that they are completely incapable of providing accurate information in a timely manner to their customers who are paying a premium price for the insurance that is supposed to protect them in these exact circumstances. We are very disappointed in this company and would strongly recommend to anybody that they look elsewhere for their insurance needs.

I have been a State Farm customer for 22 years. In October of 2015 my son, who is insured on my State Farm policy, was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle. The driver who hit my son was also insured by State Farm. The driver of the car was found at 100% fault but everything has been a struggle with State Farm. The driver of the car never told his insurance that an accident occurred so after a few days I called State Farm to initiate a claim.

They immediately began demanding my son get the motorcycle out of the towing lot impound, threatening to not pay the towing bill if we didn't act fast. He was injured and our lives were turned upside down but that was their main concern - making sure the motorcycle was removed from the towing lot storage. I had to pay all of the towing and storage bills up front and wait months to be reimbursed. Lord knows what poor people are supposed to do because those bills can be steep. I had to put everything on a credit card and make payments until the check was mailed to us.

We did manage to settle the damage portion of the claim but they will not cooperate with us at all on the medical and personal injury portion. Without notice we have been assigned to three different claims agents who claim to not have any of our records when I call them. I send them bills and documentation through their portal email which is as good as sending into a black hole. It sometimes never reaches the intended destination or takes a week or longer to get to our agent. They NEVER answer the phone when we call them and always seem to be missing some piece of information they need to make their decision to offer a settlement. They also told me that they send out a request to the hospital, doctors, employers, etc. one time for documentation and if they receive nothing in return they don't do anything about it - the case just sits there until the records are provided.

Mind you they never tell you what is going on, it just never gets taken care of, so you are unaware that you are expected to collect the records and send them in. When I asked about the progress of the case I found that nothing at all had been done because they hadn't received the records they requested. They told me if I wanted things resolved I should request the information myself and send it to them. That is what I did but I still have not received any communications from them indicating they have the documentation that they need or if they need something further. Everything just goes into a black hole and no one ever calls or emails me back. I checked with the hospital and doctor's office and they both stated they never received any request from State Farm for my son's medical records.

I have given up and have hired an attorney to get my son's settlement. It should also be noted that the agents and other State Farm staff we dealt with made no effort to be polite or professional with us. They spoke to us in a very rude manner. Sometimes, when I was able to get in touch with a live person, I could hear an audible sign on the other end. Unbelievable. After 22 years we are leaving State Farm. My advice is to stay away from them, they are horrible to deal with.

I've had State Farm Insurance for over 50 years. I always thought it was the best insurance in the US. Because they were not there to help me when I needed help, I plan to go to a different company. When leaving my grocery store, I inadvertently locked my keys in the trunk of my motorcycle. I have had State Farm insuring my motorcycles since I first owned them in 2006. I actually thought I was covered. When I called them for help, I was turned down flat. I got no help from them and now I'm so discouraged about my State Farm Insurance that I plan to change companies as soon as I can.

I was involved in a fender bender a couple weeks ago, the other driver backed into me causing a couple thousand dollars in damage. He was clearly at fault and admitted it to me and the police. The police report is a slam dunk and there is absolutely zero doubt he was at fault. I don't have State Farm I have another insurance provider, the party at fault does have State Farm. I have called them 3 or 4 times and even provided them the police report. All they keep saying is they are trying to contact other witnesses. I'm sure they read the police report I provided them where it clearly states who was at fault and who was given a written warning for unsafe backing. It is terribly frustrating when you do everything correctly and you have zero liability and you get such horrible treatment.

My car was involved in an accident on 6/21/16. They didn't send an investigator out to inspect the car until 7/28/16. I called on multiple occasions to get status to see when someone would come out and each time I spoke w/ a different person and each time they gave me a different answer. They are the epitome of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. It's important to know that my experience occurred with the agency in NY b/c that's where the accident occurred but I also corresponded with the agency in MI b/c that's where my insurance was purchased and the MI agency was much more knowledgeable and helpful than the NY agency. This is also vital to the story b/c in NY there is alternate side parking so my boyfriend and I had to take time off from work each week that passed and the car was still sitting and waiting for them to inspect.

When it came time to submit the paperwork basically handing over the title of my car to their staff (car was deemed a total loss), they forgot to give me the name of the company that would take my car so that was another phone call to get clarification. The turnover for receiving the check was timely but the overall experience leading up to the finality of the entire experience was painful. Best of luck to anyone that has to work with the NY agency if you're ever involved in an accident. It's hard enough losing your 1st car but it makes it worse not dealing with a competent agency.

Wow. I have never seen anything like this. Not one call in over 30 days in response to a claim. They wanted the rental car back before they had paid the claim. Obviously she could not get a car until it was paid. They then told me how to fill the power of attorney out and when I refused to fill in information that I could not vouch for they refused to pay. I called the insurance commission. I called the supervisor. Over 30 days. No payment. And to make it even better, my husband had died on the 10th of July. I spend over 30 days calling them to resolve. As I write this, I have still not been paid. These guys are crooks. Do yourself a favor. Do not buy insurance from them.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.
  • Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)
  • Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.
  • Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.
  • Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Compare Auto Insurance