Fast Free Quotes

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5
Based on 2,615 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

They offer more than just vehicle insurance, but roadside assistance is a plus, I haven't had to use this in a little while, let me tell you I have looked my keys in the car so many times, twice in one day also, had tires changed or aired up, jump starts, you name it. I have never had a pay out of pocket when I call them to get me help. If I am alone on the side of road they stayed on the phone until helped arrived, the tow truck was going be to long. The gal had called the sheriff's department. I kinda freaked when I seen the blue lights, I said, "Great now this on this dark road I have flashing lights," the gal said, "Calm down, I called the dept, you're out there all alone." Bless her heart. Health and accident hospital, hospital income, life insurance. All a plus when you have children. In Melanie's State Farm office all the gals are helpful great. I have not had a issue with not one claim!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Personally speaking I've never had any problems with State Farm. The office I call has always been helpful. The staff are friendly and kind and usually resolve any issues I may have. I have had other insurance policies with State farm over the years. I was involved in 2 separate accidents over the years and they were always prompt with the whole process from start to finish. I have had insurance with State farm for over 20 years and they have always been friendly and kind no matter what the issue may be. I recommend State farm to anyone who might be looking for a different insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Trax in April and in July I was parked and woke up the next morning to my car being hit from behind. I immediately notified State Farm and automatically felt a sense of relief. Everyone I spoke with helped me with my claim, the repair of my car and rental. My State Farm agent's office called to make sure everything was going well with my claim, you get what you pay for. State Farm's rates may be a little higher than other companies but is well worth it for a peace of mind. Belinda **. Chicago, IL.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

State Farm has always been very helpful reducing my bills whenever I have enquired about discounts. The agents at the Troy, MI location have always been pleasant, friendly, and helpful. That being said, I have never made a claim, so I don’t know how to rate them on that aspect (is in regards to my car insurance). I did try to make a claim once on my homeowner’s policy regarding a large water leak in my basement, which was declined. I’ve tried to find other insurance companies that are less expensive than my State Farm policy is, but with little luck.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have had State Farm Insurance for many (30) years, and I have always enjoyed the personal attention I get when I need to add or change insurance, or if I have a claim. Recently, I was on a trip, and was eating at a restaurant with family, and when I came out of the restaurant, my van had been severely damaged by a hit and run driver. We assume it was a drunk driver. When I called my State Farm agent, they were happy to hear that I was not injured, and then they were ready to work on the damaged van. From the first call, to the completed repairs, was TWO WEEKS! I am talking about some serious repairs were completed in TWO WEEKS.

State Farm has many Preferred Provider shops, that do estimates, and repairs for them. They are trusted, and certified shops, and that means it cuts through the usual delays, and gets the repairs done quickly. State Farm, paid exactly what they said they would, quickly, and clearly. My agent called to be sure everything was to my satisfaction, and the repairs look great. This is how insurance is supposed to work. I can't say enough good about State Farm.

My agent said that they are in the check writing business. I said "What?" He said, "If we don't write checks, then we aren't helping people when they need help." Now that is my kind of agent, and my kind of insurance company. I don't shop around for a cheaper company. Insurance is supposed to give you coverage so you can sleep at night, and have help when you really need it. I get that with State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Please avoid State Farm at all costs!!! I was a loyal customer with State Farm for 25 years and they dropped me. Yes I had some accidents. None of them were my fault. None of them cost State Farm any money and when it did they were reimbursed. I am just in shock. I can't help it that these people around here don't know how to drive. All of these people ran into me. I didn't run into them. I gave State Farm thousands of dollars over the years and now it's gone. Over the years when someone asked me what car insurance company to go with I always said State Farm. Now this is how State Farm repays my loyalty. I've now found another insurance company and it happens to be $10 less a month than what I was paying with State Farm. Even my new insurance company couldn't believe that State Farm dropped me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I’ve been a loyal customer for over 2 decades and I’ve never had to file for a collision. Think about how many thousands of dollars that is from a loyal customer. I’ve used State Farm for car, renter’s, and life insurance. But unfortunately I had to file my first claim last month. So at long last I can see how they really operate. And it’s very, very disappointing, My car was in the shop for a solid month because State Farm couldn’t get its act together to approve the shop’s estimates. I had to rent a car during this process and rented from Hertz on the recommendation of State Farm. I was assured the entire time that the allowance for car rentals was generous, more than enough to cover the time in the shop. What I wasn’t told was that State Farm would drag its feet at every opportunity, ultimately taking so long that I went about a week over my rental allowance.

I paid for the overage without question but when I contacted customer service to see if I could get reimbursed, rather than working with me on it, rather than apologizing or even making a case for why they couldn’t do it, they were patronizing, demeaning, and disrespectful. All these years of good will and customer loyalty were destroyed in a few minutes by a single customer service rep. In the end, they wouldn’t budge, and now I’m out the additional cost that they themselves incurred by short staffing their adjustment department. For the last two decades I would have recommended State Farm in a heartbeat, without qualification. But at this point, I would say keep searching. You can find better.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

WAS a customer for 55 years, accident free. Was insuring 2 cars, H.O, and valuables. Gave 1 car away and lost multi car discount. Received revised bill and paid. Received another revised bill and paid. Received a 3rd revised bill stating increased premium due to age. Premium now almost equal to one vehicle. Changed to another company and saved $400 a year for same coverage. Says a lot about customer loyalty and rates.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have been a loyal customer of State Farm's since I acquired my drivers license 15 years ago. I have never had to file a claim with them until recently, when I was rear ended by an uninsured driver, and my newly financed car was severely damaged. This was a time when I needed my insurance company (whom I had never needed up to this point) to step up and have my back. I am sad to report that none of them did so. I have gone all the way up to the CEO of State Farm with zero sense of customer service. My hope was that they would work with me to find a solution, but I received no help, much lack any sense of loyalty to a loyal customer.

The mess that I am now in will leave me in substantial financial trouble for the foreseeable future. I urge you as a potential consumer to find a different insurance provider. God forbid you find yourself in a time where your only hope is your insurance company, you want to be able to depend on them. This company will not so much as lend a helping hand in finding a solution. I worked with a lady named Allie in the claims department of their Bloomington, Illinois office. She was rude, condescending, and had zero customer service. My hope in writing this review is that you, as a potential customer, will never have to place your hopes in someone like Allie, who has no interest in providing help.

Prior to my talk with Allie, State Farm provided me with a declarations page stating that my newly acquired vehicle was insured at the time of the accident. Allie informed me that they would be retroactively changing the time on this document to indicate that my vehicle was not insured and they weren't obligated to provide coverage for me. While this does not sound legal to me, they ended the conversation saying that there was nothing further they could help me with. My hope is that you do not ever find yourself in a situation similar to mine. I urge you to find a different insurance provider who will be there for you in your time of need. My situation is proof that State Farm will not provide that for you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Ok so we have been with this insurance company for over a year and have had one issue after another with them since day one. 1. When we first had the insurance added to my mother's policy it seemed like everything went well until they tried to tell us we didnt pay the add on fee which we did and had a bank statement to show we did but they swore we didnt. So according to them because we refused to pay the add on fee twice we have somehow been "behind for almost a month" since we got the insurance or so they keep saying. So we finally just paid in full what they claim we owed them at the time since it was like 60 damn dollars they kept saying we was behind.

After that we made our payment on time every month but somehow about 3 months ago they claimed we was once again behind and we have argued with them every month trying to figure out how exactly they kept saying we was behind but nobody ever seemed to have an answer. Ok so fast forward to about a month and half ago we decided to get a new suv and we called to have our regular insurance switched over to our new Durango but had to switch to full coverage. The lady we spoke to told us all we had to do was pay our monthly payment and that she would switch it over. Ok simple enough. But maybe two weeks later we was being told that we once again owed more than we were told we had to pay for the full coverage so we spoke to several different people trying to figure this out and it was said that we was supposed to pay more than our monthly bill to have the insurance switched over.

Wouldnt have been an issue had she told us this when we switched the insurance over in the first place. So once again somehow we owe more than what we was told we would be paying and all because now we're apparently behind again because we only paid what the lady told us we had to pay...and as if all that isnt bad enough dealing with this company we get a letter in the mail ( remember we have full coverage now ) stating that in a few months our emergency roadside assistance will be discontinued due to "The frequency of our roadside emergency claims" on these dates.

11-2-2019
    4-27-2019
    2-12-2019
    2-6-2019
    1-25-2019
    12-18-2017

8-7-2017

The main issue with this and these dates is that we DID NOT even have insurance with them in 2017 at all and we did not have the truck that we had insured through them in 2017...and more importantly the insurance was in my daughter's name and she didnt even have her license in 2017...so my thing is and my issue is this.

1. We pay for roadside assistance in order to have it in the event our vehicle breaks down and we was never once told we could only allow our truck to break down so many times and if it broke down more than they cared for it to then that means they can just discontinue our service.

2. We now have full coverage insurance meaning we pay a bit more for one and we would expect that with full coverage insurance that roadside would definitely be a part of that. I've never had full coverage insurance with any company and not had roadside assistance.

So needless to say I believe we have been more than patient with this corrupt ** company and been ripped off enough and we will be finding another insurance company and they can take their overpricing overcharging no roadside assistance with full coverage and get lost...I would never recommend anyone to this company and will never use them again.

Not sure about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become ranked No. 41 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance for a myriad of auto emergencies, such as running out of gas or oil, getting a flat tire or locking their keys in their car.

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car during repairs are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, such as classic car insurance and even antique car insurance for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor