Fast Free Quotes

State Farm Auto Insurance
3.85/5
Based on 2,642 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have had State Farm Insurance for many (30) years, and I have always enjoyed the personal attention I get when I need to add or change insurance, or if I have a claim. Recently, I was on a trip, and was eating at a restaurant with family, and when I came out of the restaurant, my van had been severely damaged by a hit and run driver. We assume it was a drunk driver. When I called my State Farm agent, they were happy to hear that I was not injured, and then they were ready to work on the damaged van. From the first call, to the completed repairs, was TWO WEEKS! I am talking about some serious repairs were completed in TWO WEEKS.

State Farm has many Preferred Provider shops, that do estimates, and repairs for them. They are trusted, and certified shops, and that means it cuts through the usual delays, and gets the repairs done quickly. State Farm, paid exactly what they said they would, quickly, and clearly. My agent called to be sure everything was to my satisfaction, and the repairs look great. This is how insurance is supposed to work. I can't say enough good about State Farm.

My agent said that they are in the check writing business. I said "What?" He said, "If we don't write checks, then we aren't helping people when they need help." Now that is my kind of agent, and my kind of insurance company. I don't shop around for a cheaper company. Insurance is supposed to give you coverage so you can sleep at night, and have help when you really need it. I get that with State Farm.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I see all these negative claims against State Farm. So I thought I'd write a positive one. We've had a couple of claims in the past 5 years and both were handled to our complete satisfaction. Neither was our fault, but our state is a "no fault" status. The first incident was a young lady texting who ran a red light and broadsided my wife in our newest vehicle. Thank God, no injury to my wife but an expensive fix to the vehicle. And there was a witness. The second incident was unusual. We live in a condo and the snowplow driver never came so the slush built up and then froze. When my wife came home from work, she helplessly tried to stop in the driveway and slid right into the garage door. Both claims were handled very well. They have always been fair to us. The only reason I can't fully give 5 stars is because rates on older vehicles keep raising a bit every few months.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was rear-ended by a motorist that had either no or very bad insurance and had to use my policy to get my car repaired. State Farm called me promptly on Thanksgiving weekend to tell me what steps to take and assign a file number. The person I spoke to could not have been nicer or more helpful. The car was repaired but had to be taken back for further repair and State Farm provided me with a rent car so I could make Christmas in Dallas area with my family. I had no problems.

I have been with State Farm for over 50 years - homeowners and automobile coverage and will never change. I have never had bad service or slow service. I had a home claim on water damage and was paid on the spot when agent came out to look at damage. I really do not understand the bad reviews as I have had claims from Texas to Arkansas over the years and not one complaint could I find. I feel very safe and well taken care of by the considerate and helpful agents I have dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had my car broken into. They smashed a window and stole a travel bag I foolishly left in my car while shopping at what I was to learn by the responding police officer is a notoriously dangerous parking lot that the owners refuse to install security cameras in. State Farm's response was good. I had an appointment to repair the smashed window within 2 days. Although after filing the initial claim I was still unsure of who I needed to work with. That was not made clear to me by my local State Farm agent so there were a few unneeded back and forth attempts that I feel could have been avoided if my local agent had just told me to deal with their claims office. Also I didn't realize that even with full coverage on my car's policy only the comprehensive part applies to the replacement and or repairs to the car. No content coverage although my homeowner's policy would have covered the contents after the deductible.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was in a no fault accident recently. I've been a State Farm customer for decades, & this is the first time I've had to rely on them. I phoned in the accident, & they handled everything on the spot in a reasonable time frame. I've always heard that they pay off, & they did. I had a rental car that afternoon, & when I learned later that my car was totaled, I received a check that exceeded my expectations. The accident was written off as a forgiveness, my rates didn't go up, & the rate adjustment to my new vehicle was barely noticeable. State Farm is convenient, honest and reliable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

State Farm used to be a reputable auto insurance company. I haven’t had a claim in two decades of driving. I have an expensive car which was dinged while parked. I made the mistake of thinking it would be a non issue to make a claim. 6 weeks later, State Farm refuses to pay for the repair. They hide behind their two apps and “policy” by which no one is responsible. It is no one’s responsibility to follow up with the customer. They send out an adjuster who takes a few cell phone photos and sends you a check for a fraction of what a repair of the vehicle will actually cost. This is State Farm in 2019. It's good if you have a Yugo but please don’t bother expecting any customer service or accountability. Do not expect State Farm to fix a moderately expensive car. Do not expect anything but a thinly veiled fraudulent representation on the part of this quasi “insurance” company.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Online advertising specified that State Farm provided off grid homeowners insurance, yet husband was told in office visit that State Farm did not support that type of insurance. We have current coverage from Farmers...please stop advertising off grid insurance if you do not provide it!!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

If I could leave a 0 star review I would. My representative Kirk (who works for agent Charleen) messed up my plan for over 4 months, even after my husband and I repeatedly brought it to their attention. When they finally 'fixed' the issue, which in the office manager's words "happens all the time", they charged me for their mistake. They are shady and will twist their own words around when you call them out of their BS to make sure they are blaming you for any issue that come up. Customers beware!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

My agent told me I could get my gap insurance back if I refinance my car through State Farm, and it would only raise my payment Maybe $25.00 a month or so. What she did is extent my payments for an extra year and raised my interest rate from 2.9% to 4.73%. I trusted her and did not review the contract, stupid me!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

This company like many American companies these days enjoy taking your money and having you do all the work. I had to pay my deductible for a accident that wasn't my fault. When you call on the status of your refund, they push you off and tell you to call the other insurer for that. I thought that paying for a service meant "service". New 'merica folks!

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become ranked No. 41 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance for a myriad of auto emergencies, such as running out of gas or oil, getting a flat tire or locking their keys in their car.

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car during repairs are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, such as classic car insurance and even antique car insurance for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky