Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
State Farm Auto Insurance
2.98/5

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3384 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was rear ended while at a dead stop in February 2018. I had to undergo physical therapy and multiple back and forths for my neck and back injury. I finished physical therapy in September and my demand was sent to the adjuster. He has been shooting lie after lie to my attorney! He said “I will have everything ready by the 15th of November...” On the 15th he called and yet again another lie! Obviously their driver is at fault so stop blaming the system and DO YOUR JOB!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

My wife was struck by a State Farm insured driver 10/31/18. As of 11/19 SF has not settled but made us return the rental on 11/17. Their first offer was riddled with inaccurate assumptions about our vehicle. When they made an offer on 11/13 they said to put any objections in writing. I did. Claim stated on 11/15 that they had not reviewed our comments and when I asked where our vehicle was taken the agent did not know, and if it could be brought back to my town - the agent hung up on me. I am convinced that they have no interest in settling. I have had to file a complaint with the SC insurance. Just because they have a big advertising budget does not mean they are ethical or reliable.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I have had State Farm over 15 years until this week. My husband and I found out over the summer for almost a year we had been incorrectly charged because the way they input our information. When this was discovered out agency told us not to make a payment because we had so much in credit. After a few months of not needing to make a payment, and also being told our bill would be less, we received and outrageously expensive bill which included a $244 change of plan fee. When I called my agent to ask I was told the person I needed to speak with was on vacation but that I needed to pay the bill in order to not have a loss of insurance. I paid the bill and when the person came back I never got a call. I called her again, and she was unable to explain the fee to me and needed to call someone else.

Another week goes by and no word. I call and email and no one called me back, so then I called again and she still had no answer with her excuse being that no one call her back. My next bill came due and still no word, so when I called her... can you guess what she said? No one has called her back therefore she couldn't speak to the issue... We decided to find another insurance agent and we have 2 cars and renters for more $100 less per month then what we were paying for 1 car and renters with State Farm. I asked several times to be credited for the change of plan fee that no one seems to be able to explain, and she told me she couldn't help me with that and gave me a 1-800 number.

It's ridiculous that someone who is educated in insurance can't even speak to details of someone's policy. Why would I pay someone to be in charge of my insurance if I know more then them. No one seems willing to help me, and I feel like I'm being ignored and taken advantage of. The error started on State Farm's part and no one will take responsibility for it. I'm out a lot of much that I didn't have to begin with. I promise any other company you chose will be better and cheaper.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

NEVER GO WITH STATE FARM! All -- I wanted to switch insurance companies so left my loyal one and switched to State Farm for what I thought was better customer service. Day 2 of my policy I was notified that my rate actually is $50 more a month and I owe them money asap. My agent explained it's not his fault. Also because I had 2 vehicles break down on my last insurance, they decided to inform me on day 2 of my policy that they would not cover roadside assistance. I now had to call my insurance policy with USAA back and pay more since I left -- Thank you for charging me money State Farm. Wonder if it's called State Farm because they see people as farm animals.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

State Farm treats anyone filing a claim like dirt! I have been without a vehicle for a week now because their insured driver totaled my car but won’t return their phone calls so they can process the claim and start repairs - I don’t even have a rental yet! This company is a joke and I’m glad I left them years ago! Get a lawyer because you’ll need one!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

They're the worst. No stars given from me. 2 month ago I got hit and run by a FedEx semi truck from behind. As I was pulling over off the ramp, the truck driver went straight. There's a few freeway choices to go from right after that offramp. I called State Farm and they told me, "Thank you for your $500 monthly payments, but we can't help you."

Yesterday I paid for a tow truck from them at 11:30 am. They messed up my phone number so when the tow truck driver called, they told him they didn't order a tow truck. I called them and told me they would get one on the way. They didn't. They said that since I canceled the truck driver didn't want the call. I told them they made the mistake (which they admitted to). Still waiting now at 4 pm, they finally get the idea to call a different tow truck company, which they were extremely busy. So they had a two hour wait, which I waited on, before the tow truck was about to get there, the shop which my car was in closed. No way to get my car now and I had paid the tow at 11:30 pm. They will definitely take my money promptly, but for them to help you even if you're paying for years, they sure take their time. Hopefully today they can get the car out, that's if the guy who owns the shop doesn't charge me extra for keeping the car an extra day.

My advice go with the cheapest insurance you can afford, get AAA because when you need help they all of a sudden make mistakes and forget you. But when it's time to pay they're on the dot and in a hurry to charge you. Insurance companies are scammers is but I figured that if I pay a little more it would mean I get more. Not the case, they are real nice and happy to take your money. When you need them, they all of a sudden become incompetent. They are???

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

This company has the worst claims experience ever. Their customer turned out of a business and ended up on the wrong side of the street and nearly caused a head on collision with the driver of my vehicle. He filed the claim with State Farm and it has been downhill since. They have assisted their customer in avoiding responsibility for the damages to my vehicle and refuse to do what they should as an insurance company. Their claim agents are horrible and the adjusters are worse. Then again if they treat their customers like crap (as evidenced by the reviews) how can we expect them to treat the people their customers hit any better.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have been a loyal customer with State Farm over these past years and have had multiple cars with them. Never had an issue until the day that I unfortunately crashed my car. This has been a nightmare dealing with this company. They do their absolute worst to take care of their clients. My car had a collision on both sides from the parking accident and they refused to acknowledge half of the damage taken. At the end of the day all they want to do is take away their customer's money and be the least helpful as possible. I will now be in the market for a new company and I truly hope they continue to lose loyal customers as myself. Unbelievable what happened. Extremely dissatisfied.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

By far the worst insurance company ever we had an accident and the other people had state farm and we have USAA and the accident was not our fault and even though there was an eyewitness and video of the accident and the other guy got a citation for the accident State Farm refused to accept fault. After weeks of arguing with the rudest insurance agents I have ever dealt with they finally accepted fault. And now months after the accident are claiming they never accepted fault and are not wanting to pay the doctor's Bills that were obtained due to the accident. So I'm appalled at State Farm's agents and how they can be so disrespectful and rude to the people that their customers injured. Hope this reaches someone important. Thanks for reading. Have a wonderful day.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

The State Farm claims adjuster told me that my BMW was considered a total loss. We went through the features of the car and what their source valued it at. She said that they said it was “good” across the board. Further, she said that the value of the car, when taxes are included, came to a certain amount. I was stunned. I disputed this, claiming that the car was worth AT LEAST $3000 more. She said that I would need to show this from comparables in my area, without specifying what my area encompassed. I mentioned to her that when I spoke to a State Farm claims agent previously, I was told that the value of the car if totaled would be negotiable. She said there was no negotiation unless I had comparables. I disputed that with the following points.

First, I mentioned that a three-level comparison hardly takes into account a car that is in superb condition. If my car was on the upper end of above average or good, then it deserves to be valued higher. She said no. (I found out later that State Farm uses a four-level comparison, but that would only put my car in the top 25%. I mentioned that I was a professor and that there is a huge difference between a student who earns a 96 [an A] and one who earns a 76 [a D+]!). Second, I noted that since only four other cars were included in the comparison, this would hardly take into account a car such as mine. On a bell curve, the top 1% gets thrown in with the top 25%. That is not a fair comparison. Those who take immense pride in car ownership are penalized severely.

Third, she specifically said that a car with paint chips no larger than a credit card would be considered in good condition. I was astonished. This underscores how broad a range “good” really is! Fourth, I mentioned that there are things that are unseen in a car that can enhance its value. I specifically mentioned that I get it detailed every year or every other year, that I change the oil every 5000 miles even though the owner’s manual says to change it every 15,000 miles, and that about 90% of the miles are highway miles. I keep it in essentially mint condition, with a few minor issues from time to time, but I don’t leave such things unfixed. She said that such things cannot be calculated into the value of a car. I mentioned that in that case I could have changed the oil every 30,000 miles, and she said that that WOULD be taken into consideration in terms of the wear and tear on the engine.

This means that an irresponsible owner is penalized (and rightfully so), but a responsible owner is not rewarded. It’s obviously not a just comparison to only consider such negatives on a car and not positives. The fact that such a range in the personal care of a car is not considered in its value tells me that a truly outstanding car will be seriously undervalued. Fifth, I mentioned that only the BMW dealership has maintained the car. This, too, is not taken into consideration. Sixth, I mentioned that I was the sole owner, that the car was made to order, and that I had planned on keeping it the rest of my life. Obviously, with such a history I would be taking special care of the vehicle. "Nope, doesn’t count," she said.

I have been a member of the BMW Car Club since 1988. The surest way to find the best comparables to my car would be in the Roundel, the club’s magazine. Yet even here it’s rare to find a car in the same condition as mine. I highlighted some cars for comparison, noting that although they were two years newer, they had far more miles or unfixed problems, were second - or third-owner vehicles, and STILL were selling for quite a bit more than mine. None of this mattered.

Later I spoke with another agent. She told me that the state of Texas fixed how much the insurance company could pay. I asked, “So, when I mention this on social media I should say that you said it was state law?” She paused, then replied, “Well, um, no, not exactly.” “So, there is some flexibility in how much I can get for my car, right—because, after all, the state has not dictated what the value should be?” She answered, “No, there is no flexibility.” Folks, if you take excellent care of your car, don’t insure it with State Farm. You’ll never get what it’s worth if it gets totaled. On the other hand, if you don’t give a rip what condition your car is in, you’re in luck! State Farm will probably give you top dollar.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We canceled our insurance early one month, we received a prorated amount $25 less than expected. As it turns out, they had deducted $25 from our prorated amount, claiming the reason behind it being that our "drive safe and save" discount fell off our account due to a failure on our part to register our car. We had registered our car multiple times through the Android app; however, we had found the app to be an absolute pain to use and a mess to register on. Often we would register the car, and the app would claim that we had successfully registered it. Other times, we were unable to register the car, and the app would throw a warning. We disagree with the company policy of back charging all the discount when a customer cancels their account, and we have found it very frustrating trying to get the correct amount back.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Mike ** State Farm Office in West Seneca, Ny is not a good office. This past summer they quoted me $126 per month for car insurance. The first checking account withdrawal was for $140, several months later the withdrawal was $164. They kept raising the price and made excuses. If you have to be insured by State Farm use John ** in Orchard Park, Ny.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have been with State Farm for a little over 7 years now, since my first car. Just last year I got into two wrecks because LIFE HAPPENS. 1 was deemed 50/50 at fault. So one wreck where I was at fault in 7 years calls for me to be dropped. WOW. Nothing prior to that but they sent me a letter saying they are dropping me. I called and complained about it and they didn't seem to care. I remember a commercial saying "tired of paying for insurance and getting dropped for using what you pay for?" They were talking about State Farm. I will bad mouth them to everyone I know. I have always paid them on time and I get dropped for being at fault for 1 and a half accidents in one year after almost 10 years. Makes sense.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had State Farm for my auto insurance almost 20+ years; on auto-pay (never late)... All those years not one ticket nor accidents. Last year, my husband had an accident and I got a less than 20 mph speeding ticket. Rates went up and we paid monthly then suddenly received a letter in the mail that State Farm was dropping us. This company is not loyal to long term customers whatsoever!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My experience with State Farm automobile insurance overall has been a positive one. I have only had to file a claim once due to an accident that occurred about eighteen months ago. The agent I dealt with was very accommodating and helped me find a rental car the same day. They were also fairly quick on the evaluation of the damage done to my vehicle. I received an appraisal within ten days, and I received a quick payment for my total car. The agents I spoke were really helpful. When I had questions someone was always available to walk me through the process and make sure my concerns were addressed.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I switched to State Farm last year from another major company and have never been happier about an insurance decision. Our agent worked with us to get a great deal when we bundled our home and auto insurance and we pay less for much better coverage with State Farm now.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

State Farm is a lot better than other auto insurance companies. In the past, companies like The General and Safe Auto would jack up the rate every time I had to renew the policy, even though I never filed a claim or caused any trouble. State Farm keeps the rate steady and reasonable. I've been with them for a few years, and I'm glad I don't have to hop around between companies anymore.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've been a customer of State Farm for over 27 years. I've only had two minor accidents during the entire time, however, the customer care service was fast and effective as far as processing my claim and assisting me. I find State Farm rates to be fair and will continue to use them in the future. Overall, I'm satisfied with my coverage.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

State Farm has always been there to help me when I needed them most. A few times I have been involved in car accidents and it meant so much for the claims adjusters to help me get my car repaired, my medical bills paid, and just to have someone from State Farm to call and see how I was feeling and doing. Being involved in a car accident is stressful enough, but having people help you through it makes everything that much better.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've been with State Farm for about ten years and overall, I'm extremely happy with their coverage and the value I get for the money I pay. I've seen how bad some of my family member's plans are and I'm glad I've stuck it out with State Farm.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had State Farm Auto Insurance for about two years now. I switched to State Farm when my teenager got his driver's license. My previous insurance was going to go up too much for me, so I decided to comparison shop for a better rate. I ended up going with State Farm because the price was great, the coverage was too, and most important to me, the customer service was amazing! I am completely happy with my State Farm auto insurance and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been with State Farm for over 20 years. Lynn Bullard and his staff have no integrity & credibility. I filed 2 claims and when I spoke to Bullard's staff they stated they had nothing to with my claims, they just washed their hands & passed on the buck. My vehicle got flooded, water in engine, transmission, axles, brake system, water contamination in the fuel, water also flooded the inside of my truck causing electrical shortages & received body damage from Hurricane Florence. The blue book value is $8000.00 on my truck & the gentleman that assessed my truck wrote down that it was driveable & cut me a check for $1000.00.

I asked him lets take it for a drive but he refused. I spoke Bullard & he stated to me he was going to send another assessor the next day, well it been 3 weeks & no one has shown up. I'm a retired federal officer & Bullard & his staff are no different than the convicts that are locked up. The same thing with my house, I got cheated on that too. Good thing I took pictures & I'm going public with this. I will contact everyone that got taken advantage of & file Tort lawsuit. My number is **.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I use State Farm because it is what my Mom and my Grandparents suggested. I really like my local agent and the service he has given to me and my family. It makes it feel more like a friend than a company. They really treat you like an individual vs. a number.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

My agent is ALWAYS AVAILABLE, KNOWLEDGEABLE, and I ESPECIALLY APPRECIATE his HONESTY. He has NEVER TRIED to PUSH PRODUCTS or certain coverage. I feel certain he gave us the best rate for the coverage we asked for. The few accidents we've been in over the past 25 years were handled quickly and fairly. I was impressed with the way it was handled. Their rates are competitive - not the cheapest, but customer service makes up for it. In 25 years we've never had reason to complain about State Farm.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been covered by several insurance companies over the years, and this company has given me the best service, by far. It is also the best coverage for the money. Their rates, for me, is the lowest I've had from any insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The value offered by State Farm seems good, at least reasonable and on par with other services. The coverage I receive with my policy is also pretty good. Their representatives and customer service are excellent. My experiences in dealing with them have always been positive. They make you feel like they care, and back it up with their actions. When I had a major claim, they were very helpful in guiding me through the process and I was well compensated. I have used State Farm for over a decade, and have always been satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

State Farm gives you a wide selection of plans or the ability to customize what you need for your budget. It allows you to really get the items you think will benefit you most and leave behind the stuff you don't want. It fits anyone's unique situation and allows you to get the most for your investment. The company has good customer service with people who really know what they are doing and are polite and appear to mean well. There is little issue when you file a legitimate claim. Overall it's a good company who I am satisfied to do business with.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

When my husband was hit by another driver, State Farm helped out right away. They found a place to repair it within 2 miles of my house and arranged for a rental while it was being fixed. Everything went as planned and the car was fixed. There were no unexpected additional fees beyond my deductible. Very happy with the customer service I received.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

State Farm really meets my needs. I got into a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago and they not only covered the repair bill on my bike but also seemed genuinely concerned about my health and well being that is the mark of a great insurance company. They feel more like family and less like they are just after profit. 4 out of 5 stars!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I love my car insurance agency because they are always very friendly and helpful to talk to on the phone. The agents are personable and always try to get me the lowest rate possible. They are on your side through the entire process and put themselves in my shoes to better understand my situation.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky