2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.9/5 (1420 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rent...

Verified

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over t...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

PJS Towing and Recovery. I received this service through State Farm. I had to use them twice in one week. We thought my battery was low due to the cold, but when after a few days I thought the battery was dead and I needed a tow, they came and jumped it again. They were in constant communication about their ETA, and arrived on time each time. The guy advised that, after diagnosing my alternator, it was my battery and that I should replace it. He also advised me on replacing my jumper cables to a higher quality brand. Great company!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I have been with State Farm for several years now and am pretty happy with them overall. Whenever I've needed roadside assistance help it has been reliable and fairly quick getting to me. I haven't had any collision claims so far so I can't speak about quickness or response time regarding that but I would think it would be rather seamless. I have both renter's insurance and my auto insurance with them and they seem to be fairly priced but I may have a look around for price comparisons if I get a chance. Their personnel are always friendly and helpful and that's something I really like. No automated answering systems at their office so I can deal with an actual human when I call to make a payment which I'm happy about.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

State Farm has always taken excellent care of my family and me in the areas of car, home, and life insurance. The absolute best car insurance coverage I have ever had, and I have tried others in my 43 years of marriage, is by far State Farm. They have always covered repairs on our cars when we were in accidents without question and without raising our rates. There are discounts you automatically receive for increments of years of loyalty in staying with them. I can count on my local agent to answer my call immediately or within 2 hours, if after his hours. I have heard horror stories from colleagues at work about insurance companies that would not even cover their accident because, for example, there was not enough "proof" that it was a deer that hit the car. That does not happen with State Farm, as we experienced in the case of our daughter's late night deer accident. They covered us thoroughly anytime we had an accident.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I just had to write this review! I live in Phenix City Alabama, and got a call from a Agent name Leah **, who only first called to give me a quote. She was amazing: 10's all across! So professional, including the other staff that was also there. I only wanted Car insurance, but by the way she helped me, changed my life. I now have car coverage, renters insurance, and life insurance. She had me definitely! I was interested in everything she said. Great conversation, amazing energy. I am so happy I came into the office, because I was offered more options than what I came in for. I don't feel that nothing is a scam. It's legit. I'm happy for that. I can sleep at night and don't have to stress about issues I now pay monthly for lol (if you get what I mean).. God bless you, I'm happy you called.. Thank you Leah. And that handsome Jason ** with that Jeep I OH SOOOO WANT LOL... SEE YOU GUYS????

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I've been with State Farm for almost 10 years. I recommendation my mom made to me when I was younger was to shop around every few years, but each year State Farm calls me to check my rate and see if I qualify for new discounts - each time I check around, I'm already getting the best rate I can find. They are extremely easy to work with. My cell phone was broken when I was trying to purchase my latest vehicle, and they were more than happy to handle things over email with me.

Original review: July 22, 2021

My husband and I took out State Farm Insurance in the 1970's, yes this is true. In all our years of driving cars we have had a few claims on windshields in which our comprehension covered and a couple of claims when rocks hit the hood of our vehicles on the freeway. My husband noticed in May 2021 that our bumper was damaged and we had two dents on our tailgate. I think the end of the month he put a claim in. He then took the car which was a 2019 Ford Escape to the Ford dealership that we have used in the past. The damage came in at $2300.

No one responded and so he called our agent's office and the lady at the front desk explained that they did not use that dealership anymore. She gave my husband instructions to go to the Toyota dealership and to put an app on his phone to send in pictures of the damage to the claims department. He went to Toyota and they came back with a $1600 bid to replace the bumper and to repair the two dents. He presented the bid to State Farm Claims department and sent in the details of our car. VIN, Mileage and all the pictures.

About a week later, the claims department contacted us. The lady began to say "we can take care of the bumper minus your deductible but, the two dents on the tailgate above the bumper were not consistent damage to go along with the bumper damage. We laughed because of these facts. Number one, we were 70 and stayed home 90% of the year because of the pandemic. Number two we only put on 4500 miles a year on our only car. We had our groceries delivered and everything else. We did go to Centerpoint Medical Center very often because I was have pre-treatment on my left knee and finally consented to major surgery, which was a total knee replacement on 6/22/2021. We had other appts this year also. Pretty much home bound.

I explained to her to look at a damage history and also the mileage we use each year. She was telling me there was two accidents to my car and I said absolutely in no way was there. She did not believe me and continued her case against our claim. I stated with our history of driving and the extreme low mileage would we not even go along with was she said, absolutely never. I asked her if someone from the claims department could examine our car and she said that was not necessary that she had our pictures and had done this for 27 years and stated her case again. What can you do when a nasty lady in a know it all mood addresses that your one claim is not meeting what consistencies of damage are met. My husband had a body shop when he was younger for over 20 years and he was in shock. Again, look at our stellar record and tell me that again.

She also claimed that the dents had rust. My husband at this time stopped her in her tracks and stated there was not one speck of rust on our car. She ignored him. We have a $500 deductible and maybe they are cutting paying on folks that have low deductibles. My agent in Grain Valley tried to call them and had no luck. My husband took our car to the Toyota dealership and explained to the body shop that we were in a dispute with State Farm and he wanted the car repaired/replaced no matter if he had to pay out of his pocket. I was home at this time from my Total Knee Replacement and needed to have a car to go to my follow-up appointment with my orthopedic surgeon and go to my PT therapy twice a week. When John, my husband decided to pick up our car, he was told after 9 days sitting there that the dealership was told to put a hold on the repairs which we never told them that.

We have claims, agent and dealership all working against us. What can we do at this point? I will never trust State Farm again and I have been very outspoken to my adult children to look for new coverage if they have State Farm. In the meantime, my homeowner's policy came due and they deducted $2000 out of my escrow account. I am shopping for new car insurance and reading all of the reviews. Thank you for letting me vent. This has been a joke, we just want our car fixed. We would trade it in right now but inventory is so low, we can't get the color or features we love. Dianna C.

Original review: July 3, 2021

My brand new Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE 2020 was hit by someone insured by the State Farm. The State Farm fixed the car and did a great job. I really appreciate the State Farm. Now the car has an accident report and its value is about USD 26,500 based on appraisals from CarMax and Toyota Dealership. In late June 2021 and early July 2021 the minimum market value for pre-owned Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE of Year 2020 with over 11,000 miles is/was over USD 30,500 due to shortage of car chips in the industry and low inventory in dealerships. Here is the link: **. With about or less than 8,000 miles the same car will be have a value of over USD 32,000.

Now even though my car is fixed it was damaged once, so I do not want to drive it and want to buy a similar car but without an accident report. To buy a pre-owned Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE of Year 2020, which was not in the accident, I will have to pay at least USD 32,000. The State Farm offers me USD 2,200 and refusing to offer a fair market value for me to buy a car of the same quality, which does not have an accident record.

It is not my fault that someone insured by the State Farm has hit my brand new car, the value of which is substantially diminished now. Now the State Farm agent responsible for this case is bringing all possible excuses not to offer a fair diminished market value for my car. In fact until I initiated a process to determine a diminished value of the car, the State Farm has not even mentioned anything about the process.

It looks like that the State Farm even did not want me to know about the process and thus did not want to cover my car's diminished value. This is absolutely unfair and dishonest way of treating customers on the State Farm's part. I never expected that the State Farm could go so cheap to risk its reputation and trust of the customers. Does anyone have any similar experience with the State Farm or any other insurance companies? What could be done differently so insurance companies remain committed to their liabilities and respect the ordinary working class in the US. Should I go to court? What would be your advice?

Original review: July 1, 2021

I utilized the mobile app for roadside assistance for the second time on 6/29/2021 both for flat tires. Both times I have had a fantastic experience. The app is user friendly and easy to navigate. Both times I had service to my vehicle and back on the road in less than 45 min from the time I logged into the app. Both times the service people were wonderful, friendly and fast. I definitely will continue to use this service.

Original review: June 29, 2021

When my parents became elderly, I moved back in with them. My dad convinced me to drop my wonderful insurance with USAA because they would cover me under their state farm insurance which they have had for decades. They told me State Farm had never let them down. A few days later I’m in a bad part of Atlanta at 3 AM and I get a flat. It took me almost an hour to get a hold of a customer service rep and set up assistance. On the policy there is roadside assistance. When I inquired about the Assistance she told me that it was not that kind of assistance. She then proceeded to extort $100 from me before she would offer me any aid. Did I mention that I was by myself, a woman, and a bad part of town?

She then told me after I handed over the money and she made me wait to confirm the money went through. She said it would be 45 minutes before roadside got to my car to change my flat out. 2 1/2 hours later I have not heard from anybody. I have not heard from State Farm. I have not heard from roadside assistance. I finally called roadside assistance and they said it would be at least another hour. I have never been treated like this by USAA. They never would’ve let me sit here for almost 4 hours with a flat tire by myself. And they certainly would not of extorted $100 out of me before they even offered any kind of aid. Guess what I’m doing in a few hours? I’m immediately calling USAA once again and reinstating my insurance. And I will tell everyone. I will sing it from the rooftops. I will write it back everywhere. Do not get State Farm. They don’t care about you, me, or anyone. They have the worst insurance in the industry, even worse than Progressive!

Original review: June 26, 2021

Their prices are a little higher compared to other insurance companies. But I’ve been with them for over 35 years and never had a problem whenever I had a claim. They always dealt with my claim right away and got my car fixed or issued me a check.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information