State Farm Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Hit in rear on October 2, 2016, by their insured, and forced into car traveling in front. Totaled my car. I had to go to hospital and suffered pain for two months before healing. Was not offered accident settlement until March 21, 2017. Settlement was not acceptable due to their low ball price for vehicle with only 128,000 miles. Rude customer service agent that hung up on one occasion. I refuse to talk to them on the phone-- only in writing. We still have the totaled vehicle. They wanted to pick up the vehicle yet we have no assurance they will pay the claim. State Farm is a fraud!

THE SHORT: I use to think highly of State Farm. However, recently State Farm turned a simple repair into a month long logistical nightmare from April 5 until soon May 1, 2017. The primary issue was the unrepairable rubber bumper at the primary point of impact. Four different State Farm adjusters insisted it was repairable. The body shop (the highest rated body shop I found on Google with a perfect 5 star ratings from many and multiple sources Mundy's Collision Center & Auto Repair in Lawrenceville GA) said the bumper needed to be replaced due to anticipated fitment issues and the severity of the bumper deformation.

After countless hours on the phone, multiple visits with adjusters and the body shop, multiple supplements with repair cost escalating from $1600 to approx. $3900 State Farm independent estimator agreed the bumper needed to be replaced and the team manager agreed to pay the body shop their fair wage to redo the work with a new bumper. BTW. The body shop is not one that State Farm contracts with for repairs. The majority of State Farm referrals for body work have poor customer reviews on Google as does Hertz car rental. As of today Enterprise offers a better customer experience. I speculate to say State Farm’s strategy is to get customers to accept a small cash payout and ultimately not have the body work performed. This might make their strategy profitable but frustration if you want your car fix right.

My car was involved in an accident July 19th, 2016. I took it to a shop that I've dealt with for over 10 YEARS! I trusted the shop and even drove 45-50 minutes to get there. But after that it was all a scam. My car was "fixed" with glue and "parts" were charged to rack up the bill... but they never existed. The car was returned 3 times for corrective repairs and still my vehicle is damaged. After all this, my agent lied about the coverage timeline terms and even made harassing calls to me. 8 to be exact, and after the 3rd call I clearly said, "If you call me back I will take it as harassment!" But no... He called back 5 times until my lawyer had called me, and I asked the agent if he'd like to do a 3 way call. He never called back.

One week later I found out I was being dropped, and now I'm being quoted like someone who had a DUI history with vehicular homicide. Of course I got the run around like every other person who's ever filed a complaint and now I'm dropped. 4K in repairs for glue, headaches, harassment, and now a tarnished record for ATTEMPTING to stand up for myself. Insurance with these guys is a joke. What's even worse is I'm on disability and WAS working part time since I'm physically limited a full-time position. I slipped and fell and OF COURSE whenever insurance is involved it seems to lead to complications rather than protection. What was once $147 has now gone to $300 a month. If I can't resolve this, then I'll be forced to sell my car knowing I won't have a car and just a loan to pay for the damages. Very very disappointed to the point of crying over this matter and feeling totally hopeless.

I was in a car accident a few weeks ago that was not my fault. State Farm is not disputing that the accident was not my fault but I have spent the last three weeks fighting with them over what I deserve. No one returns phone calls after they say they will call you back. Everyone states something different. They will fix something then they won't fix something. They will pay part of it, then they won't. I have never in all of my years of driving had to do this much leg work with a car insurance company. I will be switching to someone else who is better with claims and customer service.

You pay all this money to make sure you are protected if something happens and then it does and no one wants to do anything. I have had to take time out of my job and spent hours on the phone. The last time I talked to State Farm they said "you can call the auto body and let them know to submit a claim." Why am I calling anyone isn't that what I pay you for? If you have State Farm I suggest you switch before you are in an accident and need them and if you don't have State Farm I suggest you never get them.

I was in an accident in which I was rear ended. What had happened was that the car in front of me had slowed suddenly, from about 60mph to 10mph, because of an incident ahead. As I braked to, of course, avoid an accident with the car ahead, I was smashed into from behind from a driver insured by a different insurance company. As often happens, he claimed that I suddenly stopped for no reason to his insurance. I told his insurance why I braked. Even though they accepted liability, they said I was also liable because their insured complained that I braked too hard. I really couldn't believe that they would actually put liability on me for that. Luckily, it turned out to be a good thing, as I went through my own insurance, State Farm, for settlement as to not be out money for my "negligence". My car was totaled and I was given a very fair settlement.

The repair shop I originally brought it to told me later that State Farm is very fair when settling for total losses, and another friend told me the same. I received more money than I bought it for years ago. State Farm went after the claimant carrier, and let me know that I did nothing illegal or wrong, and that the other company has adjusters who put liability on victims even when it's inappropriate, to get out of paying the full cost of the claim. I suffered greatly over the accident, and I hated being blamed for the accident when I did exactly as I should have - taken action to avoid an accident with the car in front of me. I cannot help if someone is tailgating behind me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

After doing business with State Farm for many years, 40 to be exact with no tickets or accidents we are changing to Farm Bureau. After buying a new car and selling my older car to a family member they jerked me around by raising my premiums three times. I got insurance on my new car before I drove it off the lot. I kept insurance on my older car until my buyer got it insured in their name. I lost my accident free driving discount because they said since I cancelled my insurance on my older car that I sold, therefore it would be 3 years before I got that discount. The agent refused to do anything by saying that was their policy rules. The headquarters didn't do anything either. They were oblivious to my good driving record. This was their way of getting more money from me. Everything fine until you need something. I will not recommend State Farm to anyone. They are incompetent and sorry. Don't go there.

Received a letter from State Farm saying that they were reviewing their claims. Keep in mind I've had two different cars and two different policies. I have requested roadside assistance 6 times since 2013. The letter states that I can have my policy terminated because they consider it a loss? How is it a loss when I'm paying them faithfully to come and help me when I need it??? Time to search for a new insurance!

I have been a client of State Farm Auto Insurance since I got my Driver's License way back in 1987. No longer! The office I dealt with, in Crestview, Florida, is amazingly incompetent. To wit: Although I gave them my bank account information, they did not withdraw my premiums from my bank, causing me to fall behind and placing my driver's license at risk (this was in March). I found out yesterday that I had been driving under a suspended license since December although I had paid my premium because these idiots never told the state DMV I had insurance. And while I told them for MONTHS that I did not own a certain vehicle, they kept billing me for it! These people are idiots who have caused me a great deal of stress trying to fix their stupid mistakes. I will never use them again!

Bottom line is this... State Farm Ins. Co. does NOT want to hear (especially in their home office in Bloomington, IL. - the President sends somebody else to call me that is young & just started to call back on a complaint about a huge increase in rates. Gee... we can pay for the President's advertising for State Farm, but he can't answer a question on doubling my rates for an accident that was very minimal). I paid 400.00 every 6 mos. & after an accident that they paid out a mere 500.00 for - charged me 800.00 every 6 mos. Somebody called me back after trying to talk to my agent locally in Salt Lake City. Agents just have a very mundane standard answer... "That is just what the rates are - the home office sets the rates."

They are such a giant. They don't care about their customers & please never complain... you will NEVER hear from anybody. I cancelled 3 cars & another policy with them today & I told my agent why I was canceling, because the rates are just ridiculously high & out of sight. She put on the cancellation notice - "Insured by another company". I called her back & told her to put the real reason in my words exactly why I was cancelling & she came back with "We have other insurance in place at a much more reasonable rate than State Farm". I feel the agents can't tell the truth about why their customers are canceling for fear of what?

I was given a new car by my father and I shopped around for policies. State Farm had the best rate, which was still pretty high at $145 per month because I have not had the need for a car for the last 4.5 years, so I have not had auto insurance either. I have a clean driving record, no accidents and have had my license continuously for 21 years. I signed up with them, as the agent was very nice and accommodating. I also signed up for the program where they watch how you drive via a bluetooth device in my vehicle to get a safe driver discount.

I have had the policy for 2 weeks now and I got a call from my agent. She tells me that the rate is going up $40 per month because the vehicle is new to me. I have never heard of this in my entire life. I work from home and drive the vehicle maybe once a week, as they can see from the bluetooth device in my vehicle. They want to charge me $180 per month for a vehicle I drive 200-400 miles per month. I am very upset that this is just coming up. I feel like State Farm is nickel and diming me. I now have to research and find another policy before the end of the month because State Farm will not budge and will not honor the rate that I was originally quoted when I signed up. Through no fault of my own, as stated by the agent herself. STAY AWAY FROM STATE FARM.

State Farm Auto Insurance is the biggest set of crooks in the world. I was rear-ended in an auto accident a year ago and have over $20,000 in medical bills. They tried to settle with me today for $190.48 for medical bills and $250 for pain and suffering. I have been in physical therapy for the past 12 months over this and just completed a follow-up surgery a week and a half ago. If anyone has an accident with State Farm, I would recommend immediately getting a lawyer because you're going to need one!

We were with State Farm for 10 years and no accidents and never filed a claim. We have a accident that totaled the car and they REFUSED to Pay! My agent in Arkansas LIED to me. He said he would help and he bailed and lied again. Terrible!! So, we had to buy a new car with our own money because they wouldn't pay! Look at all the Terrible reviews! The Government needs to shut them!!!

My claim was sent in and lost twice to get my car fixed. This insurance company seems incompetent of even the slightest task. They couldn't even get the police report. I had to send that in several times 6 to be exact... I had liability coverage and was the one pressing for compensation on my behalf and my insurance but State Farm refused to deal with me. Instead they went around me several times trying to settle at a higher cost to me with my insurance. It took me several months 4 to be exact and with plenty of proof including two eye witnesses to prove my case and make them pay out even a proper amount... even now I just got an email saying they started on the paperwork to get my truck fixed. I would highly not recommend this company, because of their incompetence of even the slightest task and how they run around and put things off.

While driving to work on Interstate 10 in Baton Rouge, LA, a State Farm insured driver was on the wrong side of the road, headed straight at me. I slowed down and was hit from behind by a lady who was also a State Farm insured driver and my car is ruined. Three months later State Farm still won't pay for the damages even though the police say the guy driving on the wrong side of the road caused the wreck and the lady who hit me from behind was at fault. State Farm is an awful insurance company who takes money for a service they don't provide. How can this even happen???

I got into a wreck on Thursday, March 30, 2017. The other driver was at fault. I submitted my paperwork and was offered a rental car. They said they would pay 80%, even though they had previously told me 100%. The rental takes forever, since I have to use one of their preferred dealers. It takes days to hear anything else, and I don't have an estimate until a week later. They still quoted my deductible despite me NOT being at fault. I have no idea what the status of my vehicle is, as when I call I get bounced from person to person. The website never updates. I find it hard to believe that I would be having this problem if I did not have the same insurance as the at fault driver, but since there's nothing to do about that I am at their mercy. VERY dissatisfied.

This company is a real scam. Don't waste your money. My drunk neighbor hit my parked car in my driveway and he damaged my car and my garage. State Farm is refusing to pay for it because he told them he didn't do it. I have a copy of the police report and 2 witnesses. I saw the man's truck stuck on my car. Now I have to get a lawyer and I plan to file a complaint with the PA Insurance board. This company is horrible. They rob innocent people who are suffering from loss. I have a damaged car and a dented in garage door.

Worst insurance company ever. My car break down, we called State Farm to help us, we waited for 3 hours in a dark and unsafe location, the service never came. We called at least 10 times, the customer service was terrible, rude and incompetent.

My personal agent, Cheng **, did not give me vital information about not having rental included with my Full Coverage Insurance Policy. Once in an accident - 5 yrs later - the claims department did not file my claim the first time I called. They then left my car sitting for 10 days without inspection. I am being forced to pay for a rental car for over two weeks, though they were supposed the have this completed in 3 - 5 business days. 13 days later I still have No car, No rental, No answers and the accident was NOT my fault. Be very careful these people are snakes...

Imagine shopping in a store and hearing your car info called over p.a. then walking outside to find someone smashed and sideswipes it. Well that's what happened to me. I'm not even a State Farm ins customer. But the man who hit me is. I thought I was lucky that he had come in to find me. Hahaha yea. This is the most horrible fraudulent company besides cable and electric companies that I have seen.

They have tried bullying me into signing my car over to them. They will give car loan people almost double what they will agree to give me if I can find someone to fix car for less, which I have. They will not cover the loan though. They are supposed to work as a so called team! Ha how can it be teamwork when every single conversation I have with them is different than the last. I would be ashamed to be a State Farm insured. I cannot to run into the man who hit me. I'm going to give him an earful. I get accidents happen. NO ONE WAS IN MY VEHICLE. Why am I being punished for parking properly in a parking spot?! Disgraceful!

State Farm has a claim against me where their insured hit my car and there was no damage done and are stating I owe them almost $1500 in damages. I have paperwork showing there was no damages done and they have taken this to "Wilber and Associates" who are so rude and they are not willing to help you at all. They basically are just telling you to pay the money and stop calling. They have also left several messages to a phone number that is not mine and never has been mine leaving personal information through voicemail which I am sure is illegal to do. I am getting with my attorney and starting a lawsuit. Also Bobby is very rude and unprofessional. She is with State Farm claims department. I have spoke with maybe 1 person really willing to help.

I'm an International Photographer in Hall of Fame and they treated me like crap. The lady that hit me was at fault and they refused to go to court and take side of client, who also had a total loss. Not only did they not help me, they gave my medical benefits away to a ** person just because I was **. And they breached contract and ruined the small business. The scene of accident with no false witness in it. The two pictures in traffic shows the awkward angle from which the guilty party loss control of her vehicle. These pictures clearly shows who is at fault. Look at the angle of the Oldsmobile, does this look like a safe angle? Where is Robie ** the false witness that was supposed to be on the scene at the time.

I have never experienced WORST customer service in MY LIFE. I was hit by a State Farm insured while parked, car off and having ice cream with a friend. The person driving a new INFINITI with back up camera managed to hit my passenger rear back and cause damage to my vehicle along with an injury to my lower back. The insured NEVER called in the claim and I called the day after the accident. When I gave the claim department my claim info they stated they would investigate and gave me a claim number after taking my information. They asked if I was hurt and I informed them yes, that I was in excruciating pain. They advised me to get treated and to put the claim info for medical treatment.

Fast forward to a month after the accident: Finally I called to follow up, and was informed that the report had came in and that the wrong policy number was originally given. I asked Jerrylin which was the person in charge of that claim if my medical bills would be transferred to the new claim and she stated yes. When the new adjuster called me since now this was a New Jersey claim he did his job correctly and informed me that no medical bills would be paid and that this would go through my own insurance company (NEVER WAS I INFORMED OF THIS) reason my bills were put under this claim -_-. I was not given the choice if I wanted to go through my insurance company. This was not my fault AT ALL! And now I have to suffer the consequences of a higher premium because of other people negligence.

When I called and spoke to the manager Jill **, she informed me of the law (which again Andrew my new adjuster had informed of) and Jerrylin failed to. I feel the negligence in State Farm's claim department now causes me long term financial consequences as well as injuries. I am disgusted by the lack of professionalism with something as severe as medical treatment. I will never recommend State Farm to anyone since they can't even give the correct information and don't care to impose a burden in someone's life.

I can believe after I'm be a loyal customer of you guys. Because of a accident the was clearly not my fault on the police report you guys want drop my policy. Now is Not fear but is ok. You guys are a giant. I will use social media for rest of my life to and only 43 now to tell people how guys treat your customers by not stand by then. And also paying almost 10.000 dollars a year of insurance.

Whatever you do do not let them record you! My son was in an accident. An old greaseball tried driving off, my son had to confront the driver and when the old greaseball gave his story to State Farm he refused to be recorded, where as my son did and they are using my son's recording against my son! They drop out things my son had said and construe things he did, State Farm will say "oh yea" he still at fault. I have fought every step of the way. This State Farm, they have gone from 100% my sons fault to 90% and now it's 50/50 after a 2-hour conversation with a manager. I demanded that both vehicles be inspected, State Farm said we needed to have it done in 2 days, the old piece of cr... 3 months later has refused. "My son is still liable!" I told State Farm I am going to report this to the Nebraska Department of Insurance if this is not corrected! They got pissed!!! No credibility! It wont do any good but I'm pretty peeved.

I am writing this to report that State Farm appears to be denying claims for auto accidents even when their own insured admits fault. It looks like we will have to hire a lawyer to get what should be a simple situation resolved. I suspect this may be a pattern for State Farm. If you have experienced a similar situation I urge you to contact me. If enough people respond we can file a class action suit. The person who denied our claim is Kate ** of State Farm. I am withholding specific last name but will share if you contact me. If you wish to contact me with your details please send email to ** addressed to Mike **. Thank you for your time.

State Farm is the biggest scam I have ever seen. So in October of 2016 I called to retrieve my bill amount and out of nowhere they gave me a figure well over the amount of 300. Normally I pay 180. I asked how and why... They couldn't give me an answer so I told them to dig well. They came back and claimed I didn't pay them for April May and June so my question was if they didn't receive a payment in 3 months how is it that I still had coverage? I told them I had bank statements proving this. They ignored my comment. Well I paid for 3 months over 300 dollars to "bring my account current". Well today I got a call stating they were dropping me from their policy because I didn't pay for those months, in which I paid and paid again. I made a complaint in which they did not seem to care either. I will be switching to Progressive. Because well excuse my French ** State Farm. Now they are telling me I haven't paid since 2015... This place is a joke.

On March 24, 2017 my daughter was rear ended by a State Farm insured and we got a call on Monday 27 from Lynn ** a State Farm rep. She was straight to the point, never asked if my daughter was ok or anything. She set up a appointment for us to take the car in to their State Farm adjuster. Her driver side taillight bumper and trunk were damage. They said her car was only worth 2100.00 but the damages were 2486.00 but then they inform me that they were going to look into it some more. I called and talked to several rep, but no one tried to help. I requested to speak to a supervisor but was told one would call me back. So a couple of hours later one of the rep. we had already talked to called back to say they were only going to pay 101.00 to replace the tail light not even labor to repair it. SO NOT DONE WITH THEM!!! Planning to carry their insured to small claims court!!!

I had Progressive insurance on auto-draft for over 4 years with no issues. However, State Farm called me & offered a reduced rate. My payment was coming up & the State Farm agent advised to stop the auto-draft & Prog. Had to give me 10 days grace which was not true. I took out State Farm Feb. 1st, & called Progressive the same day to cancel my policy. My cancellation was effective Jan. 30 because I stopped the auto-pay. Now I have 2 fines for a total of 300 to pay to the state due to false information from State Farm. The State Farm agent made multiple mistakes on my account -- wrong checking account info, email, bogus renter policy, & now denying any wrongdoing.

I agreed to a six month policy amount. They have fraudulent auto draft practices. They required us to sign up to get a lower premium. They have hidden bills and fees. Send you a statement in mail but do not email you the amount of your upcoming draft. I was over charged. January billed $200, February 240, March a whopping $340. I received three different explanations for the ballooning monthly rate. I did not have an accident, nor did I add any new vehicles to policy. I want a refund for the over-billing. I was hung up on by two different State Farm representatives. I never cursed, yelled, or was overtly disrespectful. This is unacceptable business practices! It is not acceptable to draft whatever you want from customers without approval.

Me and my wife car was stolen. Police found abandoned, 3 weeks later. My insurance, State Farm took it to an auto recovery place they do business with it. After 2 weeks they decided the car was a total loss and would calling with a settlement offering. Forgot to mention that the agent handling this was in Chicago, IL. She had no clue as to where the car was, she had no clue that it was declared total loss by somebody here in Florida. Another week went by and finally received a call from Chicago claim Dept telling me the car was going to be repaired and I need it to pick a repair place where I wanted my car been repaired. I did as they asked.

My car was at the shop for 2 weeks and finally was told by them that car was beyond repairable and that they were trying to get State Farm to respond to their calls in regards as to what to do with the car. Finally somebody from State Farm called me and gave me the amount of settlement they were willing to pay and told me to just go to the repair place and signed a release form, releasing the car to State Farm and faxed them copy of the title. They asked for my bank info in order to deposit the settlement money into my account. Did all they asked.

Today I called them to make sure I followed their instructions and the money was been deposited into our account. A different person that answer their phone told me the previous person that instructed me the day before was wrong and that she would be sending me via mail a package with all kind of forms me and my wife need it to filled out and mailed back to them before they releases any settlement.

I'm 77 years old, my wife is very ill and she needs all my attention and also we are in need of this money since we just bought transportation car in order to go back and forth to hospitals and doctors' offices every other day. Do not want their pity. We can deal with our pain. But no fair to treat customers like this. Never thought that STATE FARM INSURANCE CO. would treat their insurers this way. It has been a nightmare to the point that I feel like we just don't count. Hope this never happens to anybody else. Right now I feel like crying as me and my wife has no recourse but to vent out our frustration. Thanks for listening.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.
  • Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)
  • Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.
  • Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.
  • Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Compare Auto Insurance