3.8/5 (610 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rent...

Verified

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over t...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?
Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.
Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?
State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.
Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?
No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.
Where is State Farm available?
State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Every time I've requested assistance, my State Farm agent never hesitates and always efficient without wasting any time, be it auto, or home insurance. Filing claims or making payments has always been a breeze. Questions are always explained to make sure I'm not confused and I appreciate that so much.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

State Farm has excellent rates. You can get discounts for multi- car, safe driving etc. Whenever I have had a claim they paid promptly and my rates did not increase. I have been insured with State Farm for about 20 years. I have gotten quotes from other auto insures and the rates were higher with less coverage.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Have been a State Farm client for over 40 years and have had a number of claims both for auto and home. They have handled all efficiently and professionally and without raising my rates because of it. Plus my agent treats me with respect and is proactive in saving me money. VERY happy.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Notifications for price increases & when renewals are due are severely lacking in my experience with previous agent in Dallas, Texas. After being a loyal customer for many years I did not receive a timely renewal notice & was penalized by not being renewed & starting as a new inexperienced policy holder with significant increase in rating for my car despite still having home insurance with State Farm!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I've been with State Farm for over 10 years and I have always gotten great customer service. I can call at any time for a quote or to make changes to my policy and they are always very helpful. I've submitted one claim and it went smoothly!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

My vehicle was hit while parked, no fault of my own, I have full coverage, State Farm forced me to accept very shoddy body work with quarter panel filled with 2 inches of Bondo, looks horrible and completely devalues my vehicle. Quarter panel should have been replaced. Car is now worth several thousand dollars less.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

8/30 vehicle overheated middle of the night on 2 lane Highway, ordered Roadside service through my State Farm 24/7 Roadside service, later to find out AGERO. NEITHER THE TOW TRUCK SHOWED AND THE INCORRECT ADDRESS WAS GIVEN TO LYFT DRIVER. "Then AGERO tells me I don't even have insurance". This left me no choice but to drive my overheated Jeep home. Now I have a cracked radiator and a estimate of 2100 to fix my jeep. After filing a complaint thru my insurance agent Theresa ** I got a call after a so called investigation that yes they have issues and the issues have been sent to department heads for training. Then so generously offered a 100.00 Gift Card. Shove that Gift Card State Farm 24 7 roadside service/AGERO. I was covered by my policy and advised State Farm my home and car insurance is being moved

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Filed claim with State Farm Insurance Company 6/13/2022 for an accident on 6/10/2022 involving my vehicle. The vehicle was damaged, State Farm has received a secondary supplemental claim from the body shop on 8/18/2022 totaling $16581.54 that has not been approved since that date. There has been no communication or action from State Farm, with me or body shop since 8/18/22. Due to a reduction of the original supplemental claim submitted by body shop to State Farm, with no response to my many email requests for information about my claim from State Farm, I hired an independent appraiser/collision specialist, invoking my policy appraisal clause on 8/1/2022 with State Farm. State Farm has refused to provide the name and contact information of their hired independent appraiser to me. Rental expires 9/16/22.

I want the rental vehicle extended. I want State Farm to respond to body shop in good faith to either approve the supplemental damage claim submitted 8/18/2022 immediately 8/18 OR, total loss the damaged vehicle and pay the fair market value of my vehicle immediately. This has been ongoing from 6/13/2022- 9/15/2022 without a satisfactory resolution, and in my opinion is unfair business practice.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I am officially at two weeks since we called State Farm to get our car towed 52 miles to the approved repair center after an accident with a police report. My vehicle is still in the same city as the accident even though I have placed 20 separate phone to State Farm, Agero & the repair center during that time.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

State Farm is dangerously incompetent. They failed to properly process my case in a $1,000,000+ collision lawsuit. I was served a lawsuit initiated by the other driver in a collision. The citation required a written response within 22 days. I notified State Farm within 24 hours of receiving the citation. State Farm told me that a defense attorney would contact me by the end of the week.

After a week of radio silence, I followed up with State Farm to request urgency. They told me that my case handler was not in the office, but they gave me the phone number for the law firm that was supposed to handle my case. I contacted the law firm, and they had not received my case from State Farm. 7 out of 22 days have passed.

One week later, I still had not been contacted by State Farm or the law firm. I called State Farm again. My handler was not in the office. I called the law firm. They had still not been notified by State Farm of the lawsuit. The law firm told me, "It is good that you are following up with us. Otherwise, we wouldn't know this case existed." 14 out of 22 days have passed. Do not do business with State Farm. They are unresponsive and irresponsible. When the stakes are high, I have seen no urgency and received no communication. I regret choosing them as my insurance company.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information