3.7/5 (607 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Top State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Verified

I can call the office of our Agent, Rick **, and anyone I get is able to access our account and answer questions immediately. Very happy with our coverage: Home, 3 Autos, and Rent...

Verified

I have been with State Farm for several years now and see no reason to change. Local agent is great and the service level is unmatched by any of the others that I have used over t...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About State Farm auto insurance

State Farm started by providing auto insurance to farmers in 1922 — now it’s one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country and serves a wide range of drivers. It employs more than 19,000 local agents to help you find and manage the right policy. If you prefer to handle your policy yourself, though, its online portal and mobile app are intuitive and easy to use. State Farm’s coverage costs typically are reasonable, and it offers several discount options.

State Farm auto coverage

State Farm offers standard auto insurance coverage, including:

• Collision
  • Underinsured motor vehicle coverage
  • Medical payments coverage
  • Emergency road service coverage
  • Rideshare driver coverage

State Farm auto insurance quotes and rates

Typically, the cost of auto insurance depends on your individual situation, including your age, location, driving history, gender and more. State Farm features two discounts:

• Drive Safe & Save: Tracks your driving and provides discounts based on your safety levels.
  • Steer Clear: For new drivers or drivers under 25 years of age with no at-fault accidents or moving violations within the past three years.

Its other discounts options include:

• Accident-free
  • Anti-theft
  • Multicar
  • Policy bundling

State Farm auto insurance FAQ

How much is car insurance from State Farm?

Car insurance rates vary depending on your age, gender, location and driving history — the best way to find out how much a State Farm auto policy will cost you is to get an online quote.

Does State Farm raise rates after your first accident?

State Farm might raise your rates after an accident, but this isn’t always the case.

Does State Farm do accident forgiveness?

No. State Farm doesn’t offer accident forgiveness as a coverage add-on or as a reward for safe driving.

Where is State Farm available?

State Farm is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., but not all coverage features are available in all locations.

Is State Farm good car insurance?

State Farm has sold car insurance in the U.S. for nearly a century and has formed a reputation for being reliable. It employs more than 19,000 agents across the country, so you can almost always find a representative to talk to in person. If you prefer to handle your policy on your own, State Farm’s website and mobile app also make policy management easy. Overall, State Farm is a good auto insurance choice for most drivers.

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I have had a policy with State Farm for nearly 10 years. I have been satisfied with them up until my most recent experience. I was very hopeful given my other experiences, however, this was terrible, to say the least. State Farm and its employees have shown their true colors: they are great until you need them, and then they want to process you as quickly as possible. An insurance agency should have goals of being efficient, accurate, and fair. I am now clear that State Farm only cares to move claims through its process as quickly as possible, even without all supporting documentation and reports. Prior to State Farm, I was with one of their largest competitors and was treated much better. I am disappointed and am in the process of changing my insurance agency. I may later find that they are not any better, but I will not continue to give my business to a company that favors speed over precision.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

We have had State Farm for 12 yrs. Our 1st Auto claim has been ridiculous. Due to the pandemic parts have taken longer to receive, which is understandable. However, State Farm doesn't care, they didn't offer to extend our rental car so we have been a one car family for 3 weeks. Then today we get a call from our repair shop to let us know our vehicle is ready but they can't release it because State Farm sent the payment to the wrong collision repair shop. Now we are trying to figure out how to get the money to our actual repair shop so they can release our car. We have been without our vehicle for 6 weeks now. I'm not sure how they could have made such a mistake when they had been dealing with our repair shop during the whole process. Not satisfied at all and will be looking for a new insurance company.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

This company had a client who hit my car and they sue me ... The wreck happen in November 2022 but they put it on my credit 2 weeks later ... Didn't give me a chance to make arrangements or to fight it. They are a shady bunch of thieves...Out to destroy people's credit ...

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

This is by far the worst Insurance company in the world. I have been trying to get my vehicle from tow yard to Body Shop for 2 weeks now. Claims agents keep telling me that it will be taken care of the next day. Still not taken care of. Now they are sending me to their tow Vendor (Agero) and they are giving me same runaround. I'm already going through a nightmare with the accident, I expect a insurance company to help me.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

My daughter was in a car accident 12-03-22 and this auto claim has been a nightmare! The vehicle was supposed to be towed that day to repair shop but never happened. The 2nd shop, who agreed to accept, never received the vehicle. The vendor that StateFarm uses to hire tow company stated “too late to drop car off, repair shop won’t accept it “, which we confirmed was due to the delay of the tow company. So instead of delivering the vehicle, they left the car in a tow lot nearby in efforts to increase the amount of storage fees StateFarm would have to pay.

We were told at one point StateFarm didn’t even know where the vehicle was for several days, not to mention my family made countless calls everyday this week to claim dept and repair shops to get this vehicle towed/repaired. We eventually reached out to our State Farm agent to help resolve this issue. State Farm agents as well as 2 of the claims reps, Pete and Tanya were helpful. However, the claims supervisor, Diana ** assured me everything was taken care of and never followed the claim to insure that it was. I have been told that the vehicle will be dropped off 12-19-22 but repair shop can’t begin working on it until 2nd week in January. StateFarm has definitely dropped the ball and we are seriously considering going elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Horrible horrible horrible insurance company. They are incompetent and will have you call them 100x to get nowhere!! You will be punished even if you are not at fault! My car was hit while it was parked and these people treat me like I'm not their customer. They are not a good neighbor! The worst insurance experience I've ever encountered. I will be moving all of my policies elsewhere for sure!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

WORST experience with an insurance Company in my 33 years of driving and I used to be a State Farm customer (never will be again). I was involved in an accident (no fault of my own, the State Farm driver got a ticket for the accident). Since the State Farm customer was clearly at fault, I filed the claim myself with State Farm instead of going through my insurance Company so I'm not out my deductible for several months. Since my car was still technically "driveable" although the bumper is hanging down etc.., they wouldn't even send an adjuster out to see the car.

They said I had to download their app, take photos and submit through the app (30 minutes). I did and asked to speak with the adjuster when their estimate came back $4,000 lower than the two shops that I took my car to....they pushed for me to go to their shop which I didn't feel good about (my car is a Corvette with 9,000 miles so I wanted it back to like new condition). Well long story short, I made over 10 phones calls, waiting over 3 hours in total on the phone was promised 3 call backs which I never got over 3 weeks, all the while my car is not being driven.

On my 11th call, I spoke with Chris Mance who told me that what they offered was all that they were going to pay and I could file the claim on my own insurance Company. I explained to Mr. Mance that when I spoke to an attorney I was advised that I could sue the 70 year old State Farm customer who hit me (which I don't want to do b/c she is someone's Grandmother who made a mistake!) and his response was you sure can! So after 4 weeks total from the time of my accident, I filed the claim with my insurance Company, NC Farm Bureau. WOW, what a difference! I filed the claim, received a call from an ADJUSTER the next morning (which I couldn't ever speak to at State Farm) who provided her direct number and within 2 days had approved my repair! Incredible how State Farm is still in business playing the shell/waiting game with customers.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

We filed a claim for our daughter's vehicle on November 24th. We are going on two weeks without a vehicle or a decision on our claim. There has been lack of communication as to when we are going to get word on a decision to total it or receive a check for the worth of the car. My husband has spent a lot of time on the phone trying to speak with the right person to get this figured out. We have had good service in the past, but this has been a frustrating situation because our daughter lives in Lacrosse and we are having to get a different vehicle to her and wait to find out what the situation will be with this car.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

State Farm is not the insurance to use. I got into and accident at 730pm, call for tow, submitted the claim. Now it's 630am the next day still no tow with children on the side of the Rd. Made about 50 different calls literally to still not have nothing done. Every keep transferring me or say they setting it up but still no tow. Service I have towing, rental, all of the above with full coverage high insurance that they have.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

In the state of MN (can't speak to others, may apply) if you accidently hit a relative's car that also lives with you, such as an adult child, mother-in-law etc, State Farm will not cover the accident. This is an exclusion on their policy, my exclusion are listed on pages 9 and 10 of my policy. In our case our son's insurance will pay for his damages caused by my wife hitting his car. His insurance company wants to be reimbursed for the damages so they'll come after my wife for the entire $2300 bill. State Farm will NOT cover this per their exclusions. You have NO coverage in this instance and have to pay for all the damages. I've filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner of MN and waiting on a review of my case.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information