Fast Free Quotes

State Farm Auto Insurance
3.89/5
Based on 2,760 ratings submitted in the last year

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

3578 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I can't get my car back because State Farm won't pay the claim even though the dealership has sent in all the paperwork. It is sitting repaired at the dealer. We have talked to State Farm multiple times with them claiming they don't have the claim or the outside vendor is disputing the labor rate. This is a claim for two wiring harnesses that a rodent chewed thru. It has to be taken care of by someone who works on electrical. Our dealer is asking for $100/hr. for labor and ASI, the outside vendor for State Farm, says they should only get $40/hr. Every time we talk to a State Farm claims representative, they say they can't do anything until the claim is approved.

We took the car in on August 20th because a light went on saying there was a problem. Since the car is still under warranty, we took it to the dealer. They found the problem with the wiring. That was on the 21st of August & we filed a claim. It is now the 14th of Sept. and we still don't have our car. We have tried to speak to a supervisor at the State Farm claims dept. but haven't been able to get thru. We are beyond frustrated. And the saga goes on!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Kim **, An Account Representative for State Farm in Buford Georgia gave me Awesome customer service. I called for a quote for car insurance through one of those online call you right back with a quote. Kim called me back immediately. She was friendly, understanding, and very pleasant to talk to. Within an hour, I was at her office. She was very prompt and professional in providing all my insurance needs with State Farm. I would recommend her for your State Farm Insurance help. Thanks Kim!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I recently made a claim due to front end damage on my 2015 Silverado. Got the estimate done at a garage. They then send an adjuster who writes half less than the cost of the repair. I had a damaged rim and rack and pinion which is 3000 dollars to repair in total. I have a 2015 Rally 2 Edition so rims were pricey. Back to the problem at hand. I find out the adjuster priced out junkyard parts to repair my fully covered low mileage great condition pickup. Now tell me how safe that sounds. Used parts in the steering component of a 6 thousand pound vehicle. But they said they guarantee it.

Ok so what happens when your junkyard parts break and I end hurting myself, kids or innocent bystander. And why bother pay for full price on their half fix. This is so dirty and I'm so beyond angry. I am 37 years old. Have been with them since I had a driver's license and paid my bill on time. And in return I get shoddy work and used parts from a boneyard and god only knows what those parts have been through. I could see replacing a hood at junkyard but something as vital as steering. Just goes to show you how low of a company this is.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

My State Farm agent has always answered any questions directly and precisely and when an answer wasn't known, the agent directly got the answer from main office and all answers are always explained. I personally have seen my agent even word explanations in a ways that any person with lack of insurance knowledge can understand.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

The agents are local, so they know the area. If I have a problem, they can recommend local places to go. The agents are friendly, and know who you are. The policies they recommend are the best for my situation, taking in not only what I need, but also balancing it with what I can afford. They answer the phone 95 percent of the time, and when they don't I get a call back immediately.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have had State Farm Insurance for many (30) years, and I have always enjoyed the personal attention I get when I need to add or change insurance, or if I have a claim. Recently, I was on a trip, and was eating at a restaurant with family, and when I came out of the restaurant, my van had been severely damaged by a hit and run driver. We assume it was a drunk driver. When I called my State Farm agent, they were happy to hear that I was not injured, and then they were ready to work on the damaged van. From the first call, to the completed repairs, was TWO WEEKS! I am talking about some serious repairs were completed in TWO WEEKS.

State Farm has many Preferred Provider shops, that do estimates, and repairs for them. They are trusted, and certified shops, and that means it cuts through the usual delays, and gets the repairs done quickly. State Farm, paid exactly what they said they would, quickly, and clearly. My agent called to be sure everything was to my satisfaction, and the repairs look great. This is how insurance is supposed to work. I can't say enough good about State Farm.

My agent said that they are in the check writing business. I said "What?" He said, "If we don't write checks, then we aren't helping people when they need help." Now that is my kind of agent, and my kind of insurance company. I don't shop around for a cheaper company. Insurance is supposed to give you coverage so you can sleep at night, and have help when you really need it. I get that with State Farm.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I see all these negative claims against State Farm. So I thought I'd write a positive one. We've had a couple of claims in the past 5 years and both were handled to our complete satisfaction. Neither was our fault, but our state is a "no fault" status. The first incident was a young lady texting who ran a red light and broadsided my wife in our newest vehicle. Thank God, no injury to my wife but an expensive fix to the vehicle. And there was a witness. The second incident was unusual. We live in a condo and the snowplow driver never came so the slush built up and then froze. When my wife came home from work, she helplessly tried to stop in the driveway and slid right into the garage door. Both claims were handled very well. They have always been fair to us. The only reason I can't fully give 5 stars is because rates on older vehicles keep raising a bit every few months.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was rear-ended by a motorist that had either no or very bad insurance and had to use my policy to get my car repaired. State Farm called me promptly on Thanksgiving weekend to tell me what steps to take and assign a file number. The person I spoke to could not have been nicer or more helpful. The car was repaired but had to be taken back for further repair and State Farm provided me with a rent car so I could make Christmas in Dallas area with my family. I had no problems.

I have been with State Farm for over 50 years - homeowners and automobile coverage and will never change. I have never had bad service or slow service. I had a home claim on water damage and was paid on the spot when agent came out to look at damage. I really do not understand the bad reviews as I have had claims from Texas to Arkansas over the years and not one complaint could I find. I feel very safe and well taken care of by the considerate and helpful agents I have dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I recently had my car broken into. They smashed a window and stole a travel bag I foolishly left in my car while shopping at what I was to learn by the responding police officer is a notoriously dangerous parking lot that the owners refuse to install security cameras in. State Farm's response was good. I had an appointment to repair the smashed window within 2 days. Although after filing the initial claim I was still unsure of who I needed to work with. That was not made clear to me by my local State Farm agent so there were a few unneeded back and forth attempts that I feel could have been avoided if my local agent had just told me to deal with their claims office. Also I didn't realize that even with full coverage on my car's policy only the comprehensive part applies to the replacement and or repairs to the car. No content coverage although my homeowner's policy would have covered the contents after the deductible.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I have been with State Farm Insurance for over 30 years. I was with them when I learned to drive, and have been with them ever since. I have had multiple cars, and then renters insurance, 2 homes, and never have I had a problem with them. I've had a total of 2 agents. I have lived in 2 different states which is the reason for the 2 agents, and both were/are the most helpful people. State Farm goes above and beyond to do a yearly review with you on your policy to see if you need more or less coverage based on your situation. Driving more/less, having more items/less. It's a wonderful service. It's nice calling a company and them actually knowing who you are. I've unfortunately had to file a few claims, and they actually want to know how you are. Great feeling. Great people. Great company!

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become ranked No. 41 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance for a myriad of auto emergencies, such as running out of gas or oil, getting a flat tire or locking their keys in their car.

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car during repairs are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, such as classic car insurance and even antique car insurance for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky