State Farm Auto Insurance
2.81/5
Based on 415 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

3203 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

Have been with State Farm since I was 16. Got a call they are dropping my insurance because of too many claims including their Roadside assistances. Had I know that they were going to ding me (which by the way when they sold it to me said it won't count as a claim) I would have bought AAA. Then had the nerve to tell me I had only been with them since 1995 (17 years) because when I was on my parent's policy it didn’t' count, never mind I paid the insurance. Which is not true and I outlasted two agents couldn't even get a phone call back other than to tell me I had not really been with them that long. They dropped my husband without any notice in 97 because he said he was going to shop around. Hmmm any coincidence that I just added my 16 year child? Maybe someone else wants 35 years from me? And yes, I had some accidents, I only had one ticket during that time. Never again State Farm and Geico insurance me on a much lower rate.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Stay clear of Michelle DeCarlo State Farm Insurance Agency. I had a policy for several years with this agency, and encountered nothing but problems. Each time a new problem occurred, I encountered incompetence, discourtesy and lack of ability to resolve the issue. When all policies were cancelled and confirmed cancelled, I still received a bill for one of the vehicles and renters policies, which I was abruptly was told; they would handle it. As the policyholder, I wasn’t even listed on my vehicle let alone any of the vehicles.

My son who hadn’t been on my policy for 2.5 years, was the primary driver on all the cars. This is vital in the event there would have been an accident. Coverage could have been denied. Furthermore, the coverage on the vehicles was so messed up, that an accident would of caused major problems due to how the policies were written. Refunds are calculated by the date they put on the policy, not the coverage date listed on the statement, which means all refunds are prorated by whatever date they enter and not to count on seeing a penny back. Consumers, beware!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 16, 2018

I got hit by a guy while sitting at a stop sign. State Farm refused to contact the person's insurance who hit me to collect the deductible. I had to make all the calls. I had to pick up the police report and hand deliver it to them. They ended up paying about $600 between repairs and a rental vehicle, I ended up paying about $350 for overages on the rental vehicle. (Shop took a lot longer to fix my car than planned.)

I was told those overages could not be retrieved by the other person's insurance because it's the no-fault law. Now State Farm says they are trying to retrieve the money from the guy's insurance they paid out for my car+rental costs to be repaired. Shouldn't that go back in my pocket? I'm the one who was obeying the law when hit by a guy with a junky old truck and paid from my pocket in addition to the $2400 insurance per year with a clean driving record. Shop elsewhere for your car insurance need. This company is the biggest rip off there is.

Original review: July 13, 2018

This is my first experience with State Farm. "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" is such a lie. It is like having a neighbor who deals in illicit activities and hurts you! My Mercedes got hit and was "TOTALLED" by State Farm and they have offered me less than $3,000/- for it. I lost property worth $11,152/- in the car, but they have completely refused to accept responsibility for the loss of property. They follow the policy of Deny, Delay and Defend, the triple "D" as a modus operandi I learned from the Justice Org - which holds them to be the fourth worst Insurance company after Allstate, UNUM and AIG. So, users beware. State Farm is neither a good neighbor nor do they provide you support when you have an emergency and you rely on them.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I received my semi-annual statement of auto premium paid from July, 2018 through January, 2019 on which was printed NO PAYMENT DUE, along with the proof of insurance carry cards on early June. Nearly an oversight on my part, I called to remind the agent to adjust my bank debit so only the life policy premiums were debited. First response to me was that my information was not truthful and that I was in error. The agent threatened to lapse the auto coverage if I didn't provide the evidence of my having paid the premiums despite my telling her the premiums were being taken over by my fiancé who lives in Ohio and is consolidating our insurances as we merge our budgets and that I don't have a cancelled check to send as my proof of the coverage.

I sent the agent copies of my premium notice saying NO PAYMENT DUE and the Proof of Coverage carry cards showing the coverage was paid through January 2019. The response from the agent then was to allude to my having altered the documents, and insisting that I prove that my documents were not fraudulent or fraudulently obtained though the very documents were mailed TO ME from the THEIR office! The insinuation was that I had created counterfeit documents rather than considering that the agency may have an employee who has pilfered funds which the agency cannot reconcile and alluding to my lack of integrity. Into the second week of the ongoing dispute, they sent me a bill marked "PAYMENT DUE" with the addition of "DISREGARD ALL PREVIOUS INFORMATION" and demanding that I remit the same amount of the PAID PREMIUM, ($937) or $240 (rounded) by July 1 or my coverage would lapse.

Whatever happened to cultivating "goodwill" as a tenet of customer service and "the customer is always right"? I've never made a claim, been late or given our insurance business to another company in the 10 years I've been covered by State Farm. I cannot believe the agency will not give me the benefit of the doubt instead of demanding that I prove their proof of insurance sent to me is authentic. Talking to and treating a good customer like a crook is the Dave ** State Farm way, apparently. BUYERS BEWARE; you can get equal coverage for much less money and not be insulted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Incompetency is (truly) one thing. (A woman said that I could get communications through *both* email and text when only one option was possible, and then failed to save my phone number as a cell even though we went over that.) However, putting a number that relates to a silly promotion about the Bahamas is something entirely different. That's because the number is supposed to be for calling when it is incorrect that one does not have accounts set up to be viewed online. Also, you can't set your account for claims payouts to be electronic. So the default is actually snail mail.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I've been with SF since 1999 continuously and also before that with a short gap in companies. When my son got licensed, our FL SF agent worked hard to get me the very best rate she could and I couldn't have been more pleased. Since our relocation to Rossville, GA in 2015, we've had one frustration after another and haven't ever felt the agent was working to get us the lowest cost possible. We've never really had our questions answered. I stay with them for my great history with them, but if this agency was my only experience I would have left them within a few months. They're just terrible. State Farm has been good at paying my claims which is the only reason I continue to put up with them here and now.

Original review: June 29, 2018

State Farm knows the business. They are not amateurs trying to sell you something. They train their staff to be professional and down to earth. You cannot go wrong with this company, even if the premiums turn out to be more than others. Overall I would recommend State Farm to anyone.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My car was damaged in a rear end collision by a State Farm Insurance policyholder. That night I contacted my Insurance company and State Farm to make the claim. State Farm says they are trying to contact the policyholder and have not made contact. They refuse to process my claim. I am interested in how many others are a victim of this scam. I think the Maryland State Insurance Commissioner needs to investigate this.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My accident was with an uninsured motorist. From the moment I reported the accident they took care of everything including collections and paid for my damages. I was only slightly inconvenienced. Their first concern was for my well being.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I found out last year in March of 2017 from MVA that I did not have insurance and upon investigating discovered that my payments were going to another policyholder. It took over 4 months of going back and forth to be re-issued a new policy, being routed to 'underwriter' who could not explain to me what the holdup was, and during this time communicating with State Farm Corporate headquarters, their people were very unhelpful to the point of being downright rude. I did not feel as if they were a 'good neighbor'. Then in February, my rates went up, and I was told that they increased their rates. I have not had a ticket or accident in 5 years but now I am paying $50 more per month because 'their rates went up'.

Fast forward to today, I was told that I was still one month behind because the large payment I made to bring my account current did not accomplish that. To add insult to injury, part of that payment was held in 'reserve' so I now owed 2 payments in order to bring my account current. I believe State Farm's incompetence, and their horrible way of doing business just serves to bring them more money, they are not interested in helping to keep your costs down, or keeping you as a customer, because it is mandatory that we, the consumer, must have insurance coverage. Looking for another company.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Having State Farm for almost 7 years now, the company associates are very professional and their rates are excellent for the quotes and coverage given. Never do they question customers and try to help with claims even if it not with them.

Original review: June 23, 2018

This week I went to see about getting car insurance with you guys. I was told I couldn't due to the fact that my insurance had lapse a month ago, and my DL was suspend due to that. But I know for a fact that this last month you let Graydon ** add his ex wife on his Insurance with lapsed insurance and a suspend DL, plus tickets with no questions asked. How is it that they ran mine and found out something I didn't know. But never ran Cheryl ** with a long list of stuff on hers. So how is it she only has to pay 76.00 a month. And I am not able to get insurance with you. Please let me know. Thank you.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have had State Farm a lot of times. For several years before I married my ex, they could not insure me with his driving record, it was not good. That I understood. As soon as we were divorced I went back to them. State Farm is an excellent company. They were always there to answer all of my questions. Their customer service personnel were always so very kind, courteous, and respected me. I would still be with them except when I had to move to WV. For the exact same coverage I had in Texas they want me to pay double. I imagine it is the driving conditions in WV that make the rates so very high. I have only had one accident in my 56 years of driving and that was not my fault way back in my early 40s. That was over 30 years ago. No tickets! I really love State Farm, just cannot afford them in WV.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am a customer who's been with State Farm for quite some time now. I called State Farm since last week regarding a matter that I have regarding payment. I just lost my mother and aunt in the time frame of a week. I am traveling overseas to go and bury them and my payment is due but I won't be able to make it until I return. I spoke to a representative Adrien in the Nanuet, NY branch not once but three times and all three times he gave me the same information because I don't want to come back and have my policy cancelled. He said he would Withdraw and put it as no use until I get back and make the payment and he said that would be fine.

As I am in my way to the airport I get a called from a representative named Steve and he says my policy is going to get cancelled if I don't pay. I made him aware that I fixed this with Adrien and he confirm that I was able to make that payment when I return. He says, "Well he gave you the wrong information." I told him that, "You guys need to be compassionate and realize that I am on my way to bury two loves of my life." I'm not thinking about State Farm right now. I am upset and when I return I will be finding another insurance company.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I am disgusted with how rudely I was treated by "AMY" in automotive claims. She interrogated me like I was some sort of criminal. I was trying to describe how someone hit me in the wrong and she did everything she could to trip me up in her questions to make me sound like I was in the wrong. Don't trust these people, I made that mistake and now my insurance is going because of this person. What goes around comes around though. Maybe one day someone will treat her the same way when she is in pain and feeling vulnerable. State Farm reps are SCUM in my book. Changing insurance companies because of how this woman treated me.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had been a customer of theirs for 5 years and was loyal too. Until this past February I was trying to pay my bill and found the hard way that they had raised the price to an already very expensive policy. And I asked why I got a thousand excuses and lot of disrespect!!! Poor customer service.

Original review: June 15, 2018

State Farm's local agent neglected to tell me that State Farm no longer pays diminished value. Considering that I valuable and collector status cars, a bad CarFax can cost me thousands in real dollars. They even dropped simple windshield chip repairs. Worse, the day a 100 pound chunk of metal fell off of a truck striking another car and then mine, because I couldn't chase down the culprit (due to a blown radiator), the "comprehensive" claim is being partially denied... next time I will drive at 100 MPH (just kidding) to catch the perpetrator and destroy my car in the process... GRRR.

Even worse, State Farm took 3 hours and 24 minutes to get a tow truck to the site. The other car, covered by Geico had a tow truck in 30 minutes. It was 110 degrees outside that day. And State Farm wouldn't let me use the same company Geico used. So three more hours passed before State Farms tow truck arrived from 55 miles away. There were 13 closer tow companies.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The State Farm agents available on the claims hotline need training period. I called to inquire about my rental car coverage and was told that the security deposit would be 50.00 once the reservation was made. When I called Hertz to ask about the security deposit they informed it would be 250.00 plus the fee for the rental. I called State Farm back with this information and I was told that the 250.00 is correct and that I can only use Enterprise or Hertz. I called Enterprise who informed that once State Farm does the reservation the reservation number would reduce the security deposit to 50.00. I call State Farm for the THIRD time to clarify all the info I had been given. The State Farm agent confirmed the information that the Enterprise agent provided over the phone to me and she also informed that the agent I last spoke with had cancelled the reservation for Hertz. The agent had to make another reservation with Hertz towards the end of the call.

This is very unfortunate. The agents should have knowledge of their job description. What are they being paid for? To give customers headaches? This was a simple process that turned into something complex due to a lack of information provided. I am very dissatisfied with the claims process. Hopefully this message does not fall on deaf ears but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My 16 year old daughter was hit by a drunk driver. Both insured by State Farm, I made a claim against the other driver of course, clearly thinking this is a shut and close case considering the circumstances. Multiple people from their claims office not only treated me as I was in the wrong, lied to me about my vehicle already being evaluated, flat out told me I was wrong, and never even apologized for treating me as I was not also their customer. I understand they need to protect the driver I made the claim against but that doesn't justify them treating me that way and continuing to be treated as an uncalled customer. Be prepared to have to get all paperwork and police records for them and do it quickly cause they are not in a hurry, also make sure your full coverage includes car rental 'cause mine did not. Definitely will be changing insurance companies once this situation is settled. Longtime customer.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I am very happy with State Farm's price and service. The premiums are low and customer service is great. After my accident I immediately called State Farm and I was very happy with the process of handling my car damage. They gave me 3 choices to take my car for estimates. After I choose the one I wanted they handled everything. They were helpful, advised on good places to go. State Farm paid all with no questions. My car was fixed almost like new.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been with State Farm over 10 years and have no complaints. I have asked for quotes from various companies, none can match the price of State Farm. Once I was rear ended in my Firebird. No injuries! Two days later State Farm informed me that I would receive a check due to the car being totaled. I usually stop at the office I use and have come to know a few of the ladies that work in that office. When I am not in a hurry I will stay and chat for a little bit. This makes me feel like "a part of" State Farm Ins. I do think they look hard for any and all discounts available to me. I've recently added renter's insurance thru State Farm.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My car antenna (looks like a shark fin) was damaged by debris that flew off a truck on the highway. The antenna came off and some dents were on the outside of the car. I reported the claim to State Farm and none of the Lexus dealership body shops in my area were in their program, so I drove almost an hour away to AutoNation Collision Center in West Palm Beach. When the car was supposedly ready I arrived to find the inside of my car covered in dirty prints that looked like grease or oil and the headline was bent from end to end.

The service writer told me he never noticed and wanted me to take the car and bring it back when they get a headliner in a few weeks. I called Lexus from the shop and was told it was available overnight. I told the shop and they said they must have gotten wrong information. I left the car at the same AutoNation Collison center giving them a second opportunity to repair the car.

AutoNation texted me on Friday that the car was ready. It was not. I was told the car would be ready Friday and I could pick it up Friday or Saturday. I arrived about 10:00 am on Saturday and was told it was not ready as they had just but the windshield back in Saturdays morning at it had to cure. About 1:00 I left with my car... The shop broke the light in the passenger side door, the headliner has bumps under it and the car is noisy, the windshield has bubbles around the edge, the navigation screen is not the same and the trim panels no longer match up.

I called State Farm and told them about the problems and refuse to have AutoNation Collision work on my car a third time. The State Farm Rep met me at JM Lexus in Pompano refused to repair my car because AutoNation worked on it. I called North Miami Lexus who is in the State Farm program and they will not work on my car either because the damage was done by AutoNation. The State Farm Representative was unable to locate a shop that would do what he called "corrective repairs” he told me to have State Farm write a supplement and take the car to any shop vs telling the shop it was for corrective repairs.

Now weeks later, he changed his mind and told that State Farm has no control over the shops and his company pays money, they do not repair cars and now explains to me I need to open a second claim for vandalism for which my deductible will apply for damages caused by AutoNation Collision of West Palm Beach because the repairs are from the shop and not my original claim from flying debris. This is NOT how State Farm explains their program works. They did not tell me that they write checks and do not get involved in the repair process when I reported the claim. I called AutoNation Customer Service and they told me they would investigate and call me back. That was weeks ago. This has been a horrible experience for which has left me very frustrated.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have a truck insured with State Farm, the truck lost a front tire on the road, was taken to a wrecker parking. Truck was not repaired because the front axle part is discontinued. Anyway, it's been a year and State Farm keeps making all kinds of excuses to NOT make a settlement. If you are insured with State Farm please stop or you will be in lots of trouble in case of a claim.

Original review: June 4, 2018

State Farm Homeowners Insurance is high in their premiums. A semi truck hit my car and I had a witness that I was not at fault, even the insurance company stated I was not at fault. But in the end the company raised my rates and only got back $125.00 and both I and the semi-truck was at fault. My car was sitting in a parking lot. The damage was high and my collision insurance coverage went up to help repay for my repair

Original review: June 2, 2018

I had a 2002 Lincoln Continental. Full coverage. $500 deductible. My payment was $70 a month. That was also with $20,000 renters insurance. I bought a 2001 Chevy Silverado and added it on my policy, I only had liability on it. Of course my payment went up a bit. I got rid of the Lincoln Continental and removed it for my policy. I bumped my coverage up two full coverage on the Silverado. I told my agent to give me matching coverage of what I had on the Lincoln. So please explain to me how my payment went from $70 a month for the Lincoln which was a year newer and was all computerized and electronic up to $138 for the pickup truck that is a year older and has a better safety rating. I have ask my agent several times. I have called in to State Farm and ask them several times. Nobody can give me an answer as to why it skyrocketed to double the premium. I have had no accidents. Nothing has changed. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: June 2, 2018

They are there to answer my calls and I have phoned around but they are still the cheapest that is why I have been there for 25 years. I just called in and my agent told me to get it fixed so I did and they paid the bill. No hassle. They don't try to oversell me, and whenever I call they answer all my questions right away.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I like that State Farm has an app for my phone that I can easily access my policy information and pay my bills wherever I am with no problems. It was very easy to purchase my insurance through them. I sat down with my local agent who was very friendly and informative throughout the whole process. The only thing I don't like is that they charge a small fee to do monthly payments when I can't pay my premium in one lump sum.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I love my insurance company who is State Farm. They have awesome rates and great coverage. I have auto and renters insurance through State Farm and I have compared them with a lot of other companies and nobody can beat their quotes. I have full coverage on my car with only a $100.00 deductible and my renters insurance is only $10.00 a month for $25,000.00 coverage. I couldn't be more happier with my agent. I also have rental and towing included. Just can't beat them.

I have had to file two claims on my insurance policy since I have had it. One for bumping into someone else so they had to pay $500.00 to get their fender painted but the people that I hit tried to say that I did more damage that what I really did so my insurance company investigated it and I was found to not be at fault for the other issues and was having with her car she was trying to get her car fixed for free or should I say on my dime. Then my second time I had to file a claim I was caught in a hail storm and it took chips of paint off of my car and put dents in my car they gave me a little over $600.00 to get it fixed and my monthly payment didn't go up a dime thank God. The only thing I dislike about them is the grace period if payments are late.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am currently with State Farm and have had them as long as I have had insurance. It is very easy to get quotes and make changes. I like that my policies are available online and my agent is easy to get ahold of. I like and trust my agent who is with State Farm. I have a great relationship with him and staff members. He and his staff are very knowledgeable and helpful. Always get quick responses from the office. I feel I am very loyal to State Farm and my agent. But prices have increased more than I had hoped. I know I can save money by switching to the agent I work for, but I don't want to leave my agent at State Farm.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky