Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
State Farm Auto Insurance
3.54/5

State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm provides several different insurance products, including auto, home and renters insurance. State Farm is not a participant in the InsuraMatch and *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. With one simple phone call, you can contact InsuraMatch to get quotes for vehicle coverage from multiple providers.

BOTTOM LINE

State Farm offers auto, home, and renters insurance. Happy customers appreciate State Farm’s rates and say that their rates don’t automatically raise every time their policies renew. Having a local agent gives customers assurance that they have someone to turn to anytime they have a question or need to file a claim.

PROS

• Discounts for safe drivers, including good teen drivers
  • Network of more than 18,000 agents serving all 50 states
  • Basic and comprehensive coverages
  • Online portal for easy policy access
  • Discounts available when you bundle State Farm homeowners insurance

CONS

• No accident forgiveness option
  • Not all options available in every state

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

3450 State Farm Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 14, 2019

82 yrs old had house fire. Agent offered me her friend number to buy house for 5k. Next day 10 k. We have requested her off the claim at least 10 xs still on. So we got an adjuster. State Farm put us in a 220.00 a hotel room. We started to negotiate our rental (Aug) as a place to stay. We were getting 1100 a month income. We had to furnish with our own money. State Farm did not agree to put us in our house til Nov. Post dated check to include last week in hotel so we were not reimbused. They paid 2 months rent and stopped. So out 1100 rent income. Inventory took 2 months to get paid. Asked about water damage caused by water dept. A question. Just asked. No claim made. State Farm canceled house insurance For asking.

June 2 months before 1 yr anniversary State Farm closed claim on fire damage. No communication on either parties. Just found out by accident it was closed. They pay you your undisputed out and the 1 yr starts to tick away. They use the noncommunication to tick the clock away. They want you to use inside general contractors. State Farm paid 660. For nonemergency board up of 2 windows. I made the appt. Cleaned the stairs then came 3 days later. The plywood was noted as 13.00 each. When I had to board up 9 windows for security at 650. With my own contractor they said no. I had to go back to my emails and show the agent approved the sunroom board up with her guy. It was approved.

Took 3 months to pay the poor guy. Do everything through an email everything. We have insurance A B C and extra electrical upgrade. They paid all undisputed amounts and has gone silent on any inventory proof, hotel paid out of pocket and rental payments. Has quit after 2 months and delayed electrical upgrade. We are at a standstill. I think it's lawyer time. Stay away. I heard repeated I wish I would have died in the fire than end up with this emotional mess. 82 yrs old what will they do to you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was in an accident on March 1, 2019 when a lady, insured by State Farm, was directly in front of me and decided to put her vehicle in reverse without looking. My children were in the car and we started screaming and honking the horn to try and get her attention. She continued to reverse and hit my car causing over $1000.00 in damages. I contacted her insurance company to make a claim because she did not appear concerned at the time. After State Farm contacted her, they tell me the claim went to the dispute department because she is saying my vehicle was moving at the time. This is a lie. I submitted my photos, a preliminary estimate of damages, a diagram of the accident scene, etc.

After having received no response from State Farm I contacted them. They said they have still not been able to reach their insured to take her statement. They said because there was no witness and no police report they would deny my claim because of lack of evidence. I now have to take the matter to conciliation court to try and sue this woman for the damages she did to my car. If you are looking for a shady insurance company that likes to screw over victims, then State Farm is for you. If you are looking for an honest insurance company that does the right thing, then I would shop elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

In the 18 months, since I moved away from MS Gulf coast, I have been to see my SF agent 3 times over my car's physical address. SF is still charging me the higher rate associated with my old address, as no one at the "home" office has changed it, yet. Never mind my car is registered, with DMV, at my current physical address. I have watched my agent, on the phone, requesting this change as well as seeing her change this on her computer. Still, my insurance rate stays based on old physical address. Yes, SF owes me money for all those over payments, but if I can't trust them to change my car's physical address, how can I trust them to pay a claim? As far as I'm concerned, they've had 3 strikes, so they're out. After 6+ years, I'm changing my auto insurance.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I was driving from leaving the Golden Coral and on my way home on December 19, 2019. It was raining lightly at times and I and their client were driving northbound on little blue parkway turning westbound onto 39th street. I was in my lane the farthest that I can get over and the other driver crossed over Into my lane and hit the right side of my front fender putting a crease it the top of the fender and tearing up the fender on the bottom portion of the fender. The driver had 2 females in the pickup; one in the passenger side and one in the rear seat.

When we exchanged information the passenger female wrote bogus information down; so, I walked in a police report the next day. That is when I found out the information was bogus. I turned it in as an uninsured motorist. I returned to the Police station the next day after that and the police found out the true contact information that I needed. I went to my Agency and they filed the claims. The total estimate is $783.-- And I have to pay the whole thing because my deductible. I have to pay as one of the females in the pickup claimed to be a witness and lied about them "not crossing over Into my lane; State Farm refused to pay the claim. So thanks pickup liars for sticking it to me and thanks State Farm for being a co-perpetrator in the scam. William** Independence, Missouri.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My husband and I have a multi policy with State Farm. We have had their insurance since 2012. We have 5 full coverage car insurance policies, a homeowners policy with all the adds on and an umbrella policy just for extra protection. We have never had a claim. In Jan 2018 a semi truck driver from Canada carrying huge chunks of ice, flew off the top of his semi trailer and hit our 2012 Jeep as my family and I were driving on the interstate in KY. We flagged and followed the semi driver off of an exit to a truck stop. The semi driver admitted fault and apologized and gave us his information. He could clearly see the ice wedged in between our soft top moon roof along with huge dents in the front of our vehicle. It was 55 degrees outside and there was no snow or ice anywhere except the top of his trailer. We were on the way to a family member's funeral, it was terrible timing to have something like this happen.

I called the truck driver's insurance company the following week and submitted 3 quotes for repairs. I had statements from 4 of the 5 body shops that said they wouldn’t work on our vehicle because of the high probability that the roof would leak or they didn’t have any experience working on the Skyglider. The only body shop I could find that had any experience working on the Skyglider system was a Jeep Dealership.

From the very beginning the dealership told me I needed the entire roof replaced with a new skyglider. The truck driver's insurance company sent out an adjuster to review the damages. His Canadian insurance company refused to the fix the car before I signed off on the check and they wanted to take 20% off the repair quote for depreciation. I thought this was unfair and SLEAZY and I said no. I went back and forth with his insurance company for 2 months. All the while my roof was leaking and causing electrical damage like shorting out the window from the leak above.

We had just purchased this vehicle at the end of October 2018, it was in perfect condition prior to this. I went to see our State Farm Agent, we know her very well. She lives in our community. She advised us to turn it into our policy, so we could get our car fixed without all this hassle and allow State Farm’s attorneys to subrogate the claim. So we followed her advice and submitted the claim. I went back to the same Jeep Dealer who luckily was also a State Farm Certified Body shop (One of the three original quotes that was submitted). They were confident they could work on the complex Skyglider roof system and wanted to replace it. Once State Farm got involved the State Farm adjuster actually worked against replacing the roof system. I later found out that it was because Chrysler stopped making the parts. The dealership kept our Jeep until 12/26/18, only a few days shy of a one year marker.

Every time they called me and told me my Jeep was ready something else was damaged and the roof was still leaking upon arrival. State Farm was aware of these issues. The dealer wanted to put a skin on the roof and remove the moon roof completely which would devalue my car. I agreed to do this because I wanted the leaking roof repaired. State Farm refused to fix the roof and told me to call Chrysler. I called Chrysler and the customer service agent was just as rude as dealing with State Farm and neither would not put anything in writing to help me get my car fixed. My agent said she was so sorry and tried everything she could to help us, but I found out agents have no power so don’t rely on them being able to assist you in anyway. They are just a smiling face without power. So here I am with a car that I’m paying full coverage insurance on, can’t drive, still leaking and sitting at the Jeep Dealership for over a year.

We wrote and asked State Farm to replace our roof with a skin and they wouldn’t do that because they said it would change the structure of the vehicle. I asked them to total the vehicle. They said no. My husband and I decided to contact an attorney because we felt what was happening to us was very wrong. We found out that if you’re not injured in an accident, which none of us were...attorneys won’t take your case because the pay out isn’t enough. So we have $19k in our Jeep and our measly $4000 claim for the roof to be repaired. We would have lost more money to trade or sell the vehicle, we looked into it. So we forked over the $4000 to have the skin put on and repairs made out of our own pocket.

Let me recap, we have a multi policy with State Farm for over 7 years, high premiums, full coverage, no claims, the accident on record wasn’t our fault and the person who was at fault had full coverage insurance. But we had to pay to get our vehicle fixed out of our own pocket and we paid the bodyshop our State Farm $250 deductible.

We are shopping for insurance now. These big insurance companies can do whatever they want because they know regular consumers like us can’t afford to sue them for $4000. It wouldn’t be financially viable for us to do so. State Farm also knows attorneys are only interested in the injury money maker cases. I cannot recommend State Farm. They are white collar criminals. We are a middle class family with extra coverage and I feel State Farm is a fraudulent company who broke the law by not upholding their end of our insurance contract. We pay big money every month on time for full coverage policies and they outright didn’t honor our insurance coverage agreement. They can do whatever they want because there is no one to hold them accountable. If there is a silver lining, We are just grateful that we found out about State Farm now. Thank goodness it wasn’t an expensive home claim from something like a natural disaster.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Worst claim service imaginable. My wife was in an auto accident where a young driver was on their phone and not paying attention. He ended up hitting the stopped vehicle in front of him who was pushed into my wife’s vehicle. Liability was accepted by State Farm and they paid to get her vehicle fixed. She was injured and had over 30 visits with providers. We kept calling the bodily injury adjuster to find out what we should be doing with no response. She finished treatment in November and we called once a week after that to find out what we needed to do with no answer and no response.

We made over 20 calls to them over the past few months with one single call back. They gave us a low ball offer to settle the bodily injury and we refused. They said this was the best they could do based on the damage to our vehicle. When I pushed more they raised the offer but it is still a low ball offer. They are now saying this is the best they can do based on the damage to our vehicle. I have left several messages for the adjusters boss with no return call. They are not willing to pay for what they owe. We have collections agency’s after us because they refused to properly review the documents submitted and evaluate the claim in a timely manner.

We still have not settled the claim and we still have not heard from the adjuster's boss. The adjuster rarely answers our calls, even when we leave a message, and never returns calls when we do. DO NOT GET STATE FARM FOR YOUR INSURANCE. They are not responsive and don’t care about you or the people you may get in an accident with. This is the worst experience we have ever had with an insurance company and we have been around insurance companies for many years!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Every time I call they tell me something different. I just had a call with State Farm claims department. The claims agent was so rude with me. No help at all. I had to hang up on her because she started yelling. Then she calls me back and asks me if she's talking to ** and I say, "No. You are talking to **, the owner of the car" and she says, "Well I am calling the wrong number," and hanged up on me. Just in general State Farm is a ** service. After I finish this claim I am so done with them. Any recommendations?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Michelle Twitchell Insurance Agency in Bartlett, IL I've been with for 5 years for home and 2 car insurance got so obnoxious with her policy of canceling paid in full car insurance I couldn't believe. As I said I had two car insurance and one of my cars had insurance from Sept to March 2019. I cancel one of my car insurance in December 2018 and the payment was adjusted and due in January which I did not know about since I paid for 6 months in full. The idiots did not call me about my MB in Dec 2018 but about my BMW don't drive anymore and do not need insurance for.

First of all, I think it should be against the law to back charge you if you pay in full for six months of insurance no matter what. (Another American legalized crime.) Second of all, I should be notified that my car insurance will be canceled, so I will not drive without valid insurance for over a month. This agency is filled with disgusting ignorant people and should be investigated so there are no people on the road without insurance and knowledge they do not have one. The one positive thing about the incident is, I found out that Michelle was overcharging me over $660 dollars on my home and car insurance. Very greedy and ignorant people people work in that State Farm agency. Stay alert.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We had State Farm insurance for years. Never had an accident! My son was T-boned by another person who was insured through another company! They took full responsibility but we were advised to go through our insurance and they would go after the other company! Biggest mistake!!! The accident happened in May 2018. We are still waiting to be paid back, the same year we had to put in two windshield repair claims and my husband bumped another car leaving nothing on either car! The lady my husband bumped worked for State Farm, she went into the system. Found my phone number (I wasn’t in the little fender bender so how would she have my number). That lady who had ZERO marks on her car claimed a medical injury (btw she’s insured by a different company, not the one she works for) after telling my husband that she was in an accident the week prior in her other vehicle which totaled that car!

State Farm didn’t listen to my husband's claim, didn’t take the picture we have of both the cars and paid her out! Meanwhile we have not been paid out for the accident caused by someone else, and State Farm canceled us stating we had too many claims in one year! They include windshield repairs against you! This is a terrible company and I would advise everyone to stay away from them!

Original review: March 2, 2019

I was rear ended by a policy holder with State farm. Contacted State Farm the following day to make a claim. It took almost a month for State Farm to accept liability. After that the battle really started. State Farm sent an adjuster about a week later. Adjuster was nice, he totaled my car. In a few days State Farm called and offered a settlement, but refused to pay for the rental car I had to obtain because they had not authorized the rental car. State Farm then demanded to pick up the car without payment and said they would mail a check at a later date, which I refused to do. Hire an attorney whenever you have to deal with this company since they will not provide acceptable customer service not handle their government mandated responsibilities. It's now been over two month since my car was totaled and they refuse to pay.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I was recently rear ended by a person insured by State Farm. He even admitted guilt. However, when I submitted the claim, it took more than 3 days for a callback and there was minimal investigation into the accident. Even though I submitted several pieces of evidence, including pictures and diagrams of the occurrence (not to mention documentation showing safety features my car contains vs. the lack of features his large SUV contains) they stated there was no evidence their insured was at fault. Save yourself a headache and choose another company who will advocate for the consumer. If they treat an auto insurance claim with such indifference, how do you think they'll treat a home insurance claim?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Another kid at high school hit my car my son was driving while it was parked. He had State Farm. Claim process went well with rental car set up for when my car was in repair shop. They totaled my car as damage was more than value. Claim process went downhill after they said they would mail me a check. Said I'd receive within 5 days. Now at 9 days and still no check. Car rental company calls me about when I'm taking my car into shop and need the rental. Apparently State Farm never notified them their services not needed. Still out a car and no reimbursement check!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

As my daughter was driving through a parking lot alley, State Farm customer pulled out and hit my car on passenger front side, above front wheel well. I filed with State Farm, but they are telling me I’m 20% liable and would only pay 80% of the damages because their customer was a quarter way out and I could have taken evasive actions to avoid them. I’ve substantial pictures taken after the accident to support that their customer hit my car, yet they are refusing to fix my car. I’m planning to file complaints against them at State Insurance Corporation, but would appreciate any other inputs.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I was rear ended at a red light. State Farm doesn't want to pay for damage because I had previously damage to the side of my vehicle that is not related to the accident. They have literally gotten out of paying for anything. I have never filed an insurance claim in my life. I took the car to a certified auto shop on two occasions with pictures. The mechanic stated issues were related to accident. He even spoke directly to agent and advised. They have been nothing but rude and they do not return calls.

A State Farm investigator who is bias to State Farm because he works there, said it's wear and tear. Of course he would say that he works there. Who regulates State Farm and has checks and balances. This is so one sided and bias. Of course a vehicle will have wear and tear but if I had never been hit I wouldn't have the issues. I have been treated like a criminal and they are so rude and condescending toward the consumer the people who in turn help pay their salaries. Everyone in the world is not a liar and it's just sad. This is how honest hardworking people are treated.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Just to let everybody know how bad State Farm is. I have been a loyal client of State Farm for about 20 years or so. I have no accidents or tickets. The one time I made a claim because somebody hit my car and mess up my hood and windshield. They told me it was two separate claims and is trying to get out of helping me. Also I'm the kind of person that never complains and don't even send my food back because not was messed up. But State Farm is the worse insurance company I could ever imagine and I will be canceling them and going to another insurance company. I wouldn't recommend State Farm to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I lived in Dallas-Fort Worth for over 30 years, I had the State Farm agent all that time. No problems or issues. As of 6 months ago, I was transferred to the Bossier City, Louisiana area. As of this writing, I have had to send my homeowner's, life, and auto policies to Baton Rouge which is approximately 7 hours away. I have done this because of the unprofessional behavior of this agent and his office manager. I was told that IF I transferred in the area I lived in, they would go out of their way to tell every State Farm Agent my history here in Louisiana. We now have been hung up on here AGAIN because our life insurance has NOT been transferred to the new agent, the agent nor the office manager will speak to us. We now have late fees, policies not getting paid because we are being told that HEADQUARTERS is to blame. I would recommend to go with USAA or a more reputable company. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Coming out of midtown tunnel on Queens side my family Grandpa, 2 daughters, 2 granddaughters had a blowout on our right rear tire. Pulled aside on the expressway, and called the emergency assistance number on the State Farm insurance card. This is when the "sense of comfort" left all of us. Took 1/2 hour to finally navigate the taped responses to get to a customer service rep, where we again were subjected to repeating all of our statistics and being told they could not find our account.

After calling back with the identical info, but new Rep. was the asked questions like where we were. What town are we near. All delay tactics as if "on side of eastbound LIE at Midtown tunnel exit" was not enough to find us. We attempted to change the tire ourselves. Not a job for a 72 yr old grandpa with daughters on the side of the expressway in the dark. Luckily, we got assistance from another party and after about 1.5 hours were able to resume our journey. State Farm needs to get its act together!! Disgusted customer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been with State Farm for 3 years. When I went to purchase a new vehicle I call my insurance company to get a quote and they stated that I did not have insurance for the last 6 months, which I was unaware of. I was supposed to have automatic payments coming out of my account which would ensure that I was covered on a monthly basis. I had no notice of cancellation. I had no phone call about the cancellation. This is terrible customer service. When I got a quote on my new car it ended up being $243 on a monthly basis. This is outrageous! I have a fantastic driving history, no accidents, no tickets and that is what they quoted me.

Today I called to cancel my policy because I found a policy for $170 less for the same coverage and once I stated that I was going to cancel my policy the customer service rep changed his tone of voice and treated me very poorly. I also asked him to assure that my automatic payment would not be coming out as I had set up when I first started my policy for my brand new car, he put me on hold, came back and said I was not set up for automatic payments so that I should be okay.

Once I informed him that this was another reason why I was canceling the policy because when a customer requests something it's never done correctly that I would like him to inform my State Farm agent this is why he's losing customers. I got backlash and the customer service rep said okay bye. Absolutely will never use State Farm again. In addition when State Farm hires these customer service reps while you're interviewing you should put emphasis on hiring good personalities, not just work experience. Terrible Service. I recommend finding another insurance company for this one surely will go out of business In the future based off of customer service alone.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My family and I had State Farm for about a decade before we began getting into accidents which in turn they deemed us high-risk clients and canceled us. However in the process, we received many discounts of which, was signing for a life insurance policy that I didn't want or need. They breached the law by NOT disclosing that I would surrender the cash I have been paying for three years (amount does not exceed $1,000) had I canceled. The person that sold me the policy was not fluent in English and knew little to nothing about the product she was selling me.

The reason I signed was because they incentivized it telling me that I would receive a substantial discount. I've been paying $28 for the past three years and when I finally called to cancel, it unraveled into bitter feud I did not want from the beginning. This office in particular preys on unsuspecting people that know are not familiar with business/insurance vernacular and sell them on virtually anything.

When I finally got around to canceling, I received a letter in the mail completely contradicting the information I was told at their physical office. In the letter, I am told that the amount I've surrendered is $38.24 which couldn't be further from the truth, as I have had this policy for well over three years. They have deliberately falsified and retained vital information to refrain from paying me what is owed. I was also told I would received a check in the mail, however, not in the amount of $9.33. I am asking that the money I've paid them in the last couple of years be reimbursed in full.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

There is a big problem with the system of State Farm. I think I have updated my living address but State Farm still sent the check for my claim to my old address. Also, their staff told me that I can changed the preference to directly deposit to my bank account to receive the money but after several days they still haven't issued it yet. I didn't know and I called to ask why I still haven't got it then they told me they still haven't issued it. Really terrible experience. Disappointed on the service!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Fully covered. They paid the city of Grand Prairie TX - Real nice people but my wife of 35 years had a accident on a very raining night and they acted like, "Who are you?" 2006 Jeep Commander 17,500 was paid for. They said must have been the tires. NO! Brand new Goodyears 600. They just refuse to help. Ok. This was Oct of 2015. We still have not got a dime 3 1/2 years. My wife walks to Kroger. Me I am handicap. Only one leg. I call all the time. They now are just rude and now we are just out 18,100 and me on SSI can't get another car. When do we just give up?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We had State Farm for our homeowners insurance for over 25 years, paid all premiums on time, and never had a claim. Sometime after that period of time our house was hit by lightning & hail multiple times. We made 6 claims, 3 of which resulted in $0 dollar claims. After the second hail claim to replace our roof & a car, State Farm dropped us stating that “we were too high of a risk, & that we should take more precaution!” I wrote a letter to the CEO, which was intercepted by some overpaid middle manager, who called me and basically told me that I wasn’t going to speak with the overpaid CEO, and that they were dropping us, and to move on! CEO Michael Tipsord’s 2017 pay was $8.5 million! Poor guy.

So they love customers who pay year after year, but when you need their support for the services you’re paying them for, they drop you because now they have to pay. Money doesn’t seem to be a problem with the amount of advertising, and sponsorships they do to lure people to buy their products, but it is when a customer needs their support! I was fortunate to get coverage from Allstate at a lower price & have been a customer of theirs for close to 10 years. I would not recommend State Farm.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I was in a minor car accident on Christmas Eve of last year. I was completely not at fault as another driver hit me trying to pass a semi truck on an interstate. We were both State Farm drives and everyone was fine so I figured the claim process would be simple. There was minor damage to my car, which is older so I took it to one of State Farm's select service auto body repair shops. The mechanic told me there was some pre-existing rust (which I did not know about) and State Farm would only pay some damage and I would have to pay out of pocket. He said it would be $3000 out of pocket, and advised me to cash out the claim and save the money for when I could afford the repairs. So, I did just that. Well, last night at 6:45 pm I received a voicemail stating State Farm had overpaid the claim and I had to write them a check for $1000 and had 30 days to pay.

Note: they did not send anything in writing and when I called back 15 minutes after getting the voicemail, I was told there was no one available to discuss my issue. When I called back I spoke to an extremely rude woman who said I should have realized the claim was overpaid. I explained that I thought the difference had to do with the mechanic and what he told me. She said either I pay it in 30 days or it will be sent to collections. I still have not received anything in writing, which is extremely concerning to me. I have been a customer of State Farm since I first got my license (20 yrs).

I left due to back customer service but decided to give them another chance. Well, not anymore. The way I have been treated is ridiculous. No apologies, no admittance they made a mistake. All they said was I have 30 days to pay them. I don't have money for a lawyer. The check from the claim I used to purchase a new laptop as mine was damaged in the accident but I was told that could not be proven so no luck there. I would recommend everyone should stay clear of State Farm and their select service repair shops.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I see all these negative claims against State Farm. So I thought I'd write a positive one. We've had a couple of claims in the past 5 years and both were handled to our complete satisfaction. Neither was our fault, but our state is a "no fault" status. The first incident was a young lady texting who ran a red light and broadsided my wife in our newest vehicle. Thank God, no injury to my wife but an expensive fix to the vehicle. And there was a witness. The second incident was unusual. We live in a condo and the snowplow driver never came so the slush built up and then froze. When my wife came home from work, she helplessly tried to stop in the driveway and slid right into the garage door. Both claims were handled very well. They have always been fair to us. The only reason I can't fully give 5 stars is because rates on older vehicles keep raising a bit every few months.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I had an accident in April 2017. Someone backed into me as I was approaching a stop light after they overshot the intersection... State Farm said only body damage and minor issues. Paid for the repairs. FAST FORWARD... July, car feels funny but I'm told nothing is wrong... (Sometime between) Jul-Nov...called State Farm to come look at vehicle due to side mirror never being added to original estimate nor was fixed. Adjuster came out to place of work and said she recommends I go to a used parts shop and buy a replacement mirror because her boss will not allow her to approve it due to Camaro mirrors being high priced. YET...2 more adjusters came out to view issues. When I called about having after accident issues both deemed my vehicle nondrivable and approved transmission assembly to be repaired or replaced despite the fact 3k miles had been driven since the accident.

I was told by mechanics AND the adjuster the transmission may not be the entire issue but he could tell immediately that the accident caused damage that was not initially predicted and apologized for not catching the damage initially thusly preventing extensive damages. It was asked if the engine was assessed and I was told, "Let's look into one major issue at a time because to assess the engine it would need to be removed and completely broken down to examine internal components for extent of damage if damage did exist within engine due to accident." I agreed and transmission, intercooler, radiator, and some other parts were paid to be replaced completely. I was told I was all good to go... Both my mechanic and I took my Camaro for a test drive after months of dealing with State Farm. Not a block into drive car is still acting funny.

I call State Farm and report this. They say they need to look inside of engine and I'd need to cover the cost upfront and if engine did indeed need repair I'd be reimburse. So I handed over 1500.00 and authorize the breakdown of my beautiful engine. Different adjuster came out and I was told via phone it was not approved because they didn't see damage but more importantly because I had placed 3k miles on the vehicle since original repairs and technically I should feel lucky because my transmission should have never been approved! Yes these words came from my claim specialist. She stated mechanics never sent her reports in timely manner. I verified with shop and they assured me they sent report to State Farm when they sent the same copy to me. I called State Farm back and explained this to them and I was told by team member if I could email in the report. In which I did.

Then my claim specialist calls me and says report not complete. They want more of a breakdown and want original diagnostic codes from state authorized system to prove the engine light was on and why they even thought something was possibly wrong with the engine to cause the breakdown and inspection to be requested. The shop complied. After my claim handler got everything she needed including a video I drove an hour from home to take off the mechanic breaking down the issue in full and simplified so even I could understand the cause issue and effect.

She said she still would refuse to approve it because the shop took too long to respond with docs. (Keep in mind we just suffered thru Harvey. An extreme ice freeze that took the entire city off grid for a week...and a snowstorm Texas wasn't familiar with. I had a newborn child, and a home to repair due to mother nature so the engine was not a number one priority such as fixing leaks, roofs, furniture, and lives.) Well... Here it is Feb 2019 and my Camaro still sits exactly where it has been since 2017. I even questioned why it couldn't be approved since I was not at fault and the other insurance would be covering damages regardless since other driver admitted fault and 3 experts viewed my engine and all components of vehicle and deemed the engine damage due to unassessed initial damage both original mechanics and adjusters overlooked.

She stated they didn't know what they were talking about. She is an expert and she knows the 3k miles I drove solely caused engine issues and just because other insurance will be paying State Farm in full for cost State Farm is the one that has to wait for the agreement to be reached and the higher the damages cost the harder for approval it is since as she stated technically the vehicle should have been deemed a total loss because damage cost are more than amount I owed for vehicle. I asked to speak with supervisor and all he told me was, "I agree with whatever outcome she decides."

WOW... I then am told from the auto shop when they spoke with her she originally agreed to repair engine partly due to the fact that, (in her words) "let's get this thing fixed so I can close Ms. ** claim because that woman is nothing but trouble for me, send me the report and cost to repair and it should be approved within two weeks once I send my adjuster to verify vehicle is as report states then we will proceed to being done with Ms. **." Adjuster came and viewed Camaro and concurred with mechanics findings... Shortly after this verbal slander took place I was told about it and I proceeded to call my claim team and file a grievance. Was told she was on vacation and issue would be addressed then.

When she came back I was not apologized to for her statement, instead I was told... "I apologize but I will not be able to approve your claim now or ever due to adjuster not being able to verify there is any damage period. And all other reasons. You may speak with my supervisor but I've already discussed this claim with him and he fully supports me. Thank you for choosing State Farm. Goodbye." I after that gave up my fight. But I didn't forget it. I don't know what my rights are but I fully intend to exercise them. And I intend to make sure the claim handler answer for the behavior directed towards me.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

State Farm is now putting fake $0 claim marks on your customer's record if you have 2 claims on your record or feel they are paying too much for your not at fault accidents. Technical errors or deliberate? Many previous customer have had to go to other car insurance companies and pay over $300/month because $0 claims showing them to be false high risk drivers. Class action lawsuit for the lawyer who wants to find out canceled policies or customers who have any $0 claims on their record. This is good.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I know that I am in the polar vortex and that many cars were not working, but when I called at 1:30pm to get my car jumped (it was in my driveway) I was told that it would be 3 hours and I was okay with that. 3.5 hours later I was told that the guy might not be there until 7pm. I was okay with that. What I was not okay with was the customer service lady telling me to get a neighbor or friend to jump it (if it was that easy I would have done that in the first place), call the cops to have them jump it, and take a cab to work (who would then be there to get my car jumped?). At around 6:30pm they called me and said that maybe the original guy would come out but no one else was doing jumps that night. Then they decided it was appropriate to call me at almost 2:30am to reschedule.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've been insured with State Farm for about 10 to 15 years now. I recently bought a used car but have had several electrical problems with it so it hasn't really been drove maybe 3 times in 6 months. Well when I bought the car I went ahead and paid 6 months in full from July 2018 to December 2018. Well around January 15, 2019 I received a letter about one of my other vehicles and I called them immediately. Amongst our conversation she happen to tell me that I didn't have coverage on my car I just bought in July! I was furious! She stated that State Farm sent out a letter back in December that the insurance was not going to be renewed after December. I asked the lady why didn't anyone try to call me or send an email? The lady replied with the same statement saying State Farm sent out a letter in December.

Now here it is there is no explanation as to why they are not giving me coverage and as of today I still don't have insurance on the vehicle and it's January 28th. The last time I spoke with this lady she said that she added insurance back on my car that was canceled on January 22nd. I just called the office and a different lady answered the phone and told me that I don't have coverage on that vehicle! What in the hell is going on with this agency? One person tells me one thing and another person tells me another thing!

Now keep in mind I've been with this company now for 10 plus years and this is how you're treated all of a sudden? Not a problem; I will take my business elsewhere. I'm sure another company would love to have $1,000 per month payments from me! State Farm is sure not for their customers, especially the ones that's been with them for years! Never again! Please be wise and take your business somewhere else cause eventually you will regret having State Farm as your agent!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

So here I am writing this review while I've been waiting for over 2 & a half hours for this tow truck. I can't believe how long this is taking and it's been back & forth phone calls constantly. I've had to turn my car off for fear of my battery dying on me. If I had any other options right now I would use them, I am going to learn how to change a damn tire myself so I never have to use this service again. I probably could have walked home by now. Not to mention missing work and my daughter having to be left with her grandma.

I understand the fact that there's traffic but when I call and you say 15 min EVERY 15 min obviously I'm going to get aggravated especially if you start to sound irritated that I'm calling. This is absolutely unacceptable and I don't know if they don't have enough tow truck drivers (JACK RABBIT TOWING) or what but to leave someone stranded for 3 hours is ludicrous. God forbid I had my daughter with me. State Farm has seriously let me down!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was rear-ended by a motorist that had either no or very bad insurance and had to use my policy to get my car repaired. State Farm called me promptly on Thanksgiving weekend to tell me what steps to take and assign a file number. The person I spoke to could not have been nicer or more helpful. The car was repaired but had to be taken back for further repair and State Farm provided me with a rent car so I could make Christmas in Dallas area with my family. I had no problems.

I have been with State Farm for over 50 years - homeowners and automobile coverage and will never change. I have never had bad service or slow service. I had a home claim on water damage and was paid on the spot when agent came out to look at damage. I really do not understand the bad reviews as I have had claims from Texas to Arkansas over the years and not one complaint could I find. I feel very safe and well taken care of by the considerate and helpful agents I have dealt with.

State Farm expert review by Matthew Brodsky

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.

• Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)

• Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.

• Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.

• Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky