State Farm Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This review is specifically aimed and DAVID ** in claims who handled the claim. I was recently parked in a Safeway parking lot. When I arrived to the parking spot, there were no cars either in front of me or to either side. When I returned to the car a short time later... 10 minutes I found a car had pulled all the way up to my parking space, several feet past her marked spot and had hit and broken my license plate frame. I waited for the person to return to her car, shocked there was no note... And yes, it's just a license plate but at that point it was the principle...

After several minutes, I took a few pics on my flip phone and drove to nearby police dept. They waited for her and asked we exchange info and left as it was July 4th and they had a fire call so did not make a report... Again, it was no big deal but I would have appreciated a note or at minimum an apology. Then I contacted State Farm, her insurance, I asked if it was necessary to call my insurance company, they said most people do not so I asked what the law is regarding this in CA and they said it was not necessary.

A few days later I got a call from DAVID ** who could see the cars were attached and that she was indeed in my parking spot but he denied the claim saying I couldn't prove she did it and that he was going to report it to my insurance company, I told him I hadn't reported the claim to them and I would appreciate if he didn't do that. He became more hostile and as rude as a person could be and said, "You have the burden of proof" (which I thought I had met with the pictures). It would have been one thing to simply deny the claim but he was rude, instigative and, in my experience a very unprofessional person. To any or all of you involved in an accident with State Farm insured, if DAVID ** is your claims person, I am suggesting you request another person.

I see several complaints about State Farm and have to say that every time I have submitted a claim with State Farm I have had a positive experience. This is covering a time period of more than 30 years and around seven or eight claims. My local agent's staff know me by name and are familiar with my coverage when I call. They are responsive, attentive and quick to return calls. I've never had to argue a claim item with State Farm and they have always settled claims quickly. The majority of accidents were the other party's fault so I relied on their subrogation of the claim. State Farm is not the cheapest insurance but they are among the best. I have had no reason to go elsewhere for 30 plus years.

So I am a State Farm insured. I have an auto loan through them, checking and homeowners' policy. I was recently involved in an accident where another State Farm insured rear ended me doing damage to my vehicle. It has been two weeks and my car is repaired but because the person that hit me never notified the insurance company and hasn't been able to be contacted they will not put the claim on her insurance but are keeping it on my insurance and I will have to pay $500.00 to pick up my car. A police report was filed at the time of the accident and State Farm received a copy of that report on the day of the accident. I should not have to pay anything. I wasn't at fault. My agent, who is typically easy going, was a total ** and told me to just pay the deductible and get reimbursed when they move the claim over to her policy.

Here's my issue... this is the second time. I am still waiting on the deductible reimbursement from my home policy from two (2) years ago and it's over $1350.00. State Farm said they would put a lien on my neighbor's property to ensure that I received my deductible back and two years have passed and they have not done it, something that I have checked periodically and called them about every time. Don't trust them! They will take your premiums, get your deductible on your policy but then they don't want to pay on claims of their other insured.

My daughter lives in Houston TX. One morning, a lady flag her down on the highway. My daughter turned around to offer help. The lady told her, it was my daughter who caused her hit the curve on the off ramp and caused her flat tire. My daughter never hit the lady car, for all we know she could of had a blow out & flagged the first available car. So my daughter help the lady as best as she could. She even purchased her a new tire, so she could get to work. This mean lady, took my daughter's State Farm info, and filed a claim. There was no police report, but State Farm believed this lady, paid the claim without a police report & raised my daughter's car insurance. This is what happens when you help people out.

State Farm is the biggest crooks I know! My 16 year was recently in a wreck involved with a person that has ins through State Farm. The other driver ran a red light and caused my car to be totaled. My 16 can't attend football camp this summer and probably no ROTC. MY 16 YEAR old is a female do I mention that. These people not only not want to pay for their driver they have no manners and tell me not my problem and that's why I should have ins. It's ok though cause A. I have a big mouth and work with a large population of my county B. know my legal rights even though the representative tried to act like I'm stupid! You guys are the worst ever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm?

I was rear ended by a driver that is insured with State Farm. I have since sent in my claims for repair and have had to fight every step of the way to get them to cover the repairs. Every time I call, I get passed around and have to repeat all of the information over and over again. The lady I have been in contact with the most is accusatory and yells at me. As if it wasn't bad enough to get rear ended in the first place, this company is adding textbook "insult to injury." It seems like they are intent on beating me down until I pay for everything out of my own pocket. Horrible.

I was with State Farm Insurance for multiple auto policies (had 4 vehicles plus multiple recreational vehicles), renter's insurance, personal articles, EVERYTHING was insured through them. I was with them for just shy of 10 years when they kicked me to the curb because my husband had a couple accidents and a couple speeding tickets kind of close together (I've never had an accident or ticket on my record in the entirety of having my insurance through them and still don't have any). Not only did they cancel all of my auto policies, they refused to insure my new home (recently purchased instead of renting). My agent Charles Buckner located in SLC, UT entered a few of my policies incorrectly and I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to correct his mistakes. I would have been a State Farm customer for life and referred everyone I know to them, but not anymore. Where's your loyalty to the customers you expect to be loyal to you?

After being with State Farm for over 20 years we called it quits. Bad agents and just pure laziness. Reasons are the following: would not recommend! Told agent wanted full coverage on truck. Back window broke and went to file claim and they advised that only had liability. We explained when we talked that since it was only $10.00 more to add it at that time.

Jewelry policy was not explained properly. Explained that it was a set coverage for all jewelry. Not that each item had to be listed. Lost a $300 earring and was told it would not be covered. After that, went to add bracelet but sticker was covering appraisal on email and to resend. Sent no more than 10 mins later on 9/9. Email from agent on 10/21 asking for 2nd request for appraisal. Reforwarded email advising it was sent the same day as the original request.

10/22 called to apply for State Farm loan and agent input wrong car info into app and app was denied. Input info for financing on a car that was already insured with them. Had to resubmit loan and approved for 8500. Agent advised would be there at 11 next day on Sat. Agent did not show up as promised. Called and lodged complaint. Service team got in touch with agent who was at an eye appointment and didn't bother to call to say they would be late or reschedule. The husband of one of the agents assistants had to come unlock the office and give us our check so we could go buy the truck. Unauthorized person for one and two we had to wait there until they came with our 4 year old daughter also waiting. Ridiculous!!!

April 2017- was told by Enterprise that rental was covered 80/20. Had truck for three days - $10 /day. Deer hit truck. Got a call from Brian that no rental coverage. State Farm now says was on the sable not on the 94 truck and not carried over to 2004 truck. 2 separate policies so even though I have on the Jeep and then Suzuki - it cannot be used even though we are in the same household. Nothing they can do but add it now for future but no coverage on this accident.

I was in an accident a month ago and I have been paying for full coverage insurance with State Farm for over eight years. I traded in my car for a newer one and I went online to switch the insurance over from my old car to the new one. They never swapped the insurance to the new car but they raise the price of my monthly payment for the insurance which they automatically take out of my bank account every month and that never fails. I purchased a car about 8 months ago, you would think that they would notify me that I had no coverage on a brand new vehicle because I notified them when I bought the vehicle that I needed to switch the policy over from the old vehicle to the new one.

Now they refuse to pay for anything not even a rental or reimbursement of the money that they've taken from me for the last eight or nine months or so for a car that they never put the insurance on. They made the mistake by not switching it and not notifying me that my new car was not covered. I have been paying for full coverage this entire time but yet no one notified me that the car I was driving was not covered.

Now I am stuck with this and my totaled car that I owe almost $25,000 on. They claim to be investigating the coverage while my car is sitting in a lot racking up fees. They are denying everything so now all of that falls on me and comes out of my pocket. They have not assisted me in any way, yet they have taken money out of my account for full coverage on a car that I don't even own and that they never swapped over even though I contacted them to do so. I have been calling and asking what exactly I have been paying for and they refuse to let me know what they have been doing with the money that they have been taking out of my account. They refused to refund that money and they refused to take responsibility for any part of this accident even though I've been with them for several years with three different vehicles.

While in the new vehicle while driving I have been pulled over and never got a ticket for no insurance and the day of the accident I also did not get a ticket for no insurance. I am just curious why I have been paying every month for full coverage and for some reason I am covered for 0%. They even took out the payment for insurance even after my car was already totaled. I will not be using State Farm again and I never leave bad reviews but this has really hurt my finances and I want people to know that State Farm is not an honest or reliable company. They will take your money and give you nothing in return. They are not very friendly when you have a claim and they deny deny deny and just refuse to assist with anything.

I am a single mom and now I am struggling due to the fact that they never put my new car on the policy and they never contacted me to tell me that my car was not covered. I do believe that either the dealership the finance company or my insurance company should have contacted me or each other to notify them that a car that is owed so much money was not fully covered. I will not use State Farm again. I've never had an accident till now, and now that I have it has broken me financially and emotionally and the accident alone was very traumatizing.

State Farm was not any help and really hurt me and I plan to try my best to get back on my feet but State Farm will not be involved and I want to take them to court and I'm going to try to get every single penny that they owe. I wasn't even going to ask them to replace my car but just to take care of the car that was totaled. But they won't even refund the money that they have taken out of my account that they basically just took from me because I was paying for full coverage but then I find out that I have no coverage at all. They refused to give the money back and I hope to find an attorney to make them do the right thing.

I really dislike how insurance companies do not care about their clients and they have no sympathy for what their clients go through and they don't see that I have paid every month for the past 8 years and they still refuse to pay for one single thing. It's not fair but I guess life's not fair but I have no choice but to take them to court and make them do what's right because I do have a little boy to take care of and I need to do what I have to. But for anyone else considering using State Farm as a new insurance company I advise you to look elsewhere. They are not the cheapest I honestly thought that they were a good company but I know now from experience they're not. Please do your research before choosing an insurance company and always check the reviews for them. I wish I had and maybe I wouldn't be in this situation.

Honestly to be very straightforward State Farm is a crooked company and they couldn't care less about stealing your money. I have been a loyal client with them and the State Farm agents seem to be nice people but when you're in an accident and it goes to claims it is those people who will find any reason to deny you and say no. They did that to me and they refused to refund any money or figure a way to help me out or give me advice on what to do.

In the end my car, the fees from the lot it's been sitting in while they are investigating, the rental car, and the other expenses that I had because of this has put me damn near $30,000 in debt. I was also not able to work for over a month because of the injuries that were caused in that accident. Luckily I was the only one that was injured. So I have a lot of money going out but no money coming in. I am now making two car payments one of them which I will never see again. State Farm broke me. They destroyed me financially, put me in major debt, and this will ruin my credit. I will never do business with State Farm again ever. Please think about it before signing with State Farm.

Doug Baldwin State Farm - Worse insurance to have. No accident forgiveness after being with company for 15+ years. Gave bad rep to be able to get insurance anywhere else. They are scumbags and will completely screw you over. Highly suggest going elsewhere.

After being a State Farm Auto Insurance customer for 50 years I received a letter saying my policy is going to be cancelled in two weeks because they "didn't receive a signature for increased charges for deductible". I never received a letter for signature nor a call from my agent, and upon calling my agent, Mike ** in Wake Forest, NC, my call was forwarded to operator who said, "Oh, that's too bad" and hung up on me. The local State Farm office is a joke. You would think Mike would call me to prevent cancellation. This is a company that operates out of a national call center, Mike ** and his staff are there to sign you up and that's the end of their service, so I might as well switch over to a company that operates out of a national call center.

State Farm totaled my car because of hail damage, my car has 88,000 miles and they compared it with 2 cars that had over 150,000 and the other had 160,000 double the mileage, why could they compare with cars with less miles or at least the same amount. Legal thieves that's why. Rip offs that's all they are. They were a decent insurance co. 25 yrs ago but I'm canceling my insurance - a.s.a.p.

I'll be so happy to be rid of this place! Before anyone says anything negative to me, including employees and family of, I've been battling this company for over 3 months now. I've been handled by every single employee, save one that just downright laughed at me and thought my requests for the employees to do their jobs was ridiculous. I've bled money trying to keep up. That is the exact reason you're required to have insurance, they say - so you don't have to worry about huge expenses after and yet I'm STILL VENTING MONEY because of these "people!". It all started 3/29, when my van was accidentally flooded following a storm. I've had this van nearly 5 years, I've always been super cautious with it and have never had issues with it but the whopping 6 inches of water somehow managed to wreak havoc on my van.

First, it took over a week just to get an adjuster to look at it to declare it needed to be worked on. There are only about 6 authorized beings in the entire Houston area, I'm told. In the meantime, I have 2 kids and no transportation for them, including my youngest who's highly asthmatic and at the worst seasonal transition of the year. That made absolutely no impact on my claim despite several supposed escalations on it - just more handling by the claims department and **'s office. Despite paying $450, that's no mistake folks - $450 on 3 OLDER vehicles (2002 truck, 2003 Expedition and 2012 van which was in disrepair from the flood) PER MONTH (yes, I have to pay that every month, there's not an extra month rolled in), I couldn't get answers or help in a timely manner.

I had to continue paying my van note for an additional 2 months to keep them at bay, which was an extra $475/month, plus State Farm continued to take payments for the insurance on the van despite me not being able to use it. In the meantime, I was without a vehicle. I had to arrange every single place we had to go. My mother in law was a huge blessing, but the planning and begging and reducing myself to the bare minimum trips so that I didn't have to burden anyone were seriously getting to me.

State Farm has to reach some threshold of money into the vehicle in order to total it and I get and even understand that, but what they don't tell you is that they won't authorize the purchase of quality parts. They work with junk yards and pick a part places and put grimy old used parts including major "parts" like ENGINES in your vehicle and wonder why your vehicle is still having issues 3 months later. In that 3 month period, the mechanic had to replace my starter, plugs, 2 engines and subsequent coil packs. I may be forgetting a few minor items. Actually I believe he also had to replace filters as well. All used parts. All from the junk yard. All cheapest as possible. All junk. Surprise, surprise. Van still didn't work. After the second engine, we were still having issues with the motor shaking, doors are opening at random, a door won't lock, etc etc etc.

On the claims side, I'm being tossed from agent to agent. I would have to call every day to every other day and tell my whole story to at least 2 different claims agents until the last 2 weeks, when I finally scored my own agent, which of course, fell right in the last 2 weeks of school and you know the end of the year madness if you're a parent... ceremonies (my youngest graduated kinder), awards, early dismissals, end of year parties, belt testing and ceremony at their TKD classes, etc. To say the timing couldn't have been worse would be a drastic understatement. Anyway, my very own agent was finally assigned when I guess they realized they were going to total my vehicle and I had to endure incessant calls from her, calls that I had to be on the line to authorize her to speak on my behalf to my lender that literally would take an hour or more.

The lack of communication was ridiculous. They sent me money for the repairs, which I was supposed to give to the mechanic. So then a couple of weeks later, it's hurry up and get the money back bc it is now going directly to my lender. Why do they not send this stuff directly to the sources? I mean, this poor mechanic was working for free for 3 months. From what info I gathered, they didn't pay him what he was worth either. Thanks for burning that bridge. The last thing he wanted was to give up money that he'd finally gotten from 3 months of work for it to be totaled anyway. He had to front the engine money, front money for the other parts, too. The lying from the agents was the most unbearable part of the whole ordeal.

They'd tell me we were top priority, highest escalation, etc etc. Whatever they needed to say to keep us quiet I guess. They'd tell us that the mechanic told them it was definitely fixable after every new piece they'd put in. The mechanic told us if there was an electrical issue due to the water damage, it would be very very difficult to track it down and it could be potentially very dangerous since electrical issues can spread. Well, apparently the door that wouldn't lock, doors opening/closing at random weren't of concern to State Farm. I have kids going in and out of the back seat. Them getting smashed in the doors or the doors opening while I'm driving was absolutely of no concern to them. Had a brand new crate motor not been required to fix the shaking issues, we would've been stuck with those issues and that concern until we either ate the cost ourselves or sold it!!

So, I'm still having issues to date because apparently, State Farm feels they have a right to reach into my bank acct and take payments for vehicles you don't have and ignore the fact that one of those vehicles hasn't been removed for 3 months! Oh and don't believe your claims person when they say your nightmare is over bc State Farm has a way of making it persevere! So nearly 4 months later and a 3rd insurance payment on this van is auto drafted. Well, if they have your signature on file and you don't tell them to remove the vehicle from your insurance, even if you've never had an auto draft from them before in the history of your acct there, apparently they're allowed to take whatever amount they want. Requesting to speak to Ken again is out of the question and a laughable request at that.

They're not at all responsible for the $240 worth of courtesy pay fees that follow that unauthorized amount of money they took, either. Oh and the biggest kicker: it's going to take 14 business days to get my acct right at State Farm alone. In the meantime, I have a new handler at State Farm who is telling me that they don't pay overdrafts, they're not responsible for having not removed the vehicle they totaled out and this will continue this way. Ummmm...no. You knew the van needed to be removed bc through the whole process, Ken **, himself, was involved. I told him and every agent between that this van needed to be totaled after my mechanic told me about the electrical issue. My claims agent said she took care of every detail pertaining to my van and basic customer service needs weren't met once again.

Ken ** State Farm, you owe me 3 months of insurance payments, a ton of inconvenience pay (and tons more because apparently, "this isn't at all how this is supposed to work, we don't know why it's taking so long," and my personal favorite, "we want to restore faith with you.") during all of those handling me periods, and you owe me 2 vehicle payments I had to make to keep them from hitting our credit while you dragged your feet for 3 months! That's 2 payments I had to make while not being able to use my vehicle! This is going to be copied to every single place that will allow it and to every lawyer that cares to read it until I get some resolution. I'm so sick of big companies squishing their customers to continue to get ahead.

Corporate bailouts, rude "customer service" agents, employees not doing their jobs, they blame it on the situation or customer mentality, the "I don't have to have good customer service because I can just play the numbers game - someone will replace them if they leave so it's really not a problem for us, and mostly the just wait them out so they'll give up and we can stay ahead and bludgeon the customer so far down that they can't fight back as we stand on top of them and stomp on all of the people required to pay us to stay at the top" mentality that just absolutely disgusts me. You all are the most despicable group of people I've met to date. Please keep passing the buck and not taking responsibility for your own actions and inactions, dropping the ball on people and being the sad example of humanity that you are.

I am writing this complaint today because I just got my last payment statement, and it really bothers me cause I have been with State Farm a long time. And now they are charging me way too much for something that was their fault. It all started Around April last year when I had another on my insurance and I asked them to take it off and that's the only one. Was the Ford F-150. They said OK. Well I was thinking that they had it right cause the money was taken out of my check automatically every month. Well I know.

At least 2 months went by and I didn't never see a statement like I had been getting every month I have been for several years until I got a cancellation letter where they cancelled my insurance. I called them and they seen where the wrong. Vehicle was took off. But wouldn't admit they done it. And my insurance cancelled now because they did that. My car insurance is very high and it's hard to make payments like that on a fixed income like Have. I went to another State Farm the price wasn't good. But I had to have insurance.

The payments were OK. I made a payment for 6 months and recently I due a payment and I was shocked to see what it said. It was much more than I had expected. And all this is because of the mistake that State Farm made and is wrong and against the law. Please help me to resolve this and get my payments back to normal or I may have to seek legal advice. Thank you.

Worse customer service ever with a claim. My daughter was hit by a State Farm Insured vehicle 2.5 weeks ago and they refuse to even look at my vehicle until they talk to their driver first. The driver was found at fault by the police and cited. The accident report which I had to provide to State Farm clearly states they were at fault. I'm going on 3 weeks with a banged up vehicle which needs repaired and no help from State Farm until they talk to the driver who is clearly avoiding them. Very aggravating.

My insurance was automatically renewed. I went to another insurance after a year with State Farm. I called them and confirmed the cancellation with the main number. Now I get a letter they are cancellation due to non payment. How can they do that? I cancelled them and didn't want policy renewed. They renewed it anyway so now I owe them. Don't think this is right. I cancelled due to rate increase on the new policy. Went with someone cheaper. I hope they get this straightened out.

They claimed that it would take two hours for a tow truck locally to come and get my truck off the road two nights ago. Every two hours I called and the first time I called I couldn't track down Ian who promised to text me and update me as to which company was going to show up. The next guy was a little better but even he couldn't get the tow company to show up after another two hours. Finally at 5:30 AM, two hours and 15 minutes after the third call, MT towing showed up. I didn't sleep at all that night and I just would've preferred that if they couldn't get the tow truck that they just tell me so I could've called one myself and paid for towing myself.

State Farm made an unauthorized transaction from my checking account of $275.00, and refuses to return the full balance of the unauthorized withdraw. Per our conversation, a weekend's worth of premiums is over $60.00, and will not be returned because my bank allowed the withdraw.

I have a car, which is paid for and in my name. My 21-year-old daughter was hit by a customer of State Farm, and the processes is exhausting!!! It took 30 days for them to contact us about the claim! Then, because I own the car, and she has the insurance, NO ONE knows the process! Every time I spoke with someone the information changed! I will never recommend them or anything to do with them! I asked to speak with a supervisor and was basically told they call me if they can. Ask for a ref number for the call and Shaylin couldn't give me one. I told them to pull the call from my previous service rep, because we all know they record the calls, Shaylin told me they couldn't. If you can't get a supervisor to review a call, why do you have them? PLEASE, go anywhere else, rather than a company that works like this! Horrible customer service and no process to get a rental vehicle for someone who doesn't own the car...

I'm using the State Farm auto insurance and rental insurance for about 2 years in Houston Texas. Statefarm office address: 9889 Bellaire Blvd #132 Houston, TX 77036. No accident and no claim. I didn't have the chance to evaluate the service quality during my stay in Texas Houston. Then I moved to MICHIGAN in Dec, 2016. Because of that I contact my agent to cancel my auto insurance and the rental insurance in advance (on Dec 5, 2016). Since they already charged my credit card for the Dec insurance fee. They need to mail me a refund check. The Agent told me I have to wait for 3 months. And 4 months past, I still haven't received the refund check.

I contact the State Farm agent in Houston Texas, they ask me to confirm the address and it was the correct one. Another agent told me the address was wrong in the system. Yes, agent ** failed to read my e-mail and put the correct address in the system. He put the wrong APT number there for I never receive that check. No apologies from ** and I need to wait for another 1 month. Now it has been 6 months! And I lost the faith and trust to those agents and State Farm. I want to share my experience so anyone who want to consider State Farm? That's a terrible terrible idea.

I recently went online to State Farm's Insurance web site to modify my insurance. I have an old 2007 Toyota Yaris and wanted to cut back after paying insurance on it for 10 years. Funny my premiums keep going up although the car keeps getting older. So I dropped "uninsured motorist". The secretary then emails me a cancellation form and orders me to print and scan it and then email it back to her. I do not have working printer and would have to purchase one; and I do not have a scanner and would have to purchase one. And Siegel State Farm doesn't have electronic signature software (I've done business with several small real estate agencies and mortgage brokers that use electronic signature software but State Farm doesn't). So I borrowed a printer and printed the document and put it in an envelope and placed a stamp on it and mailed it. Who is serving whom? That is the question.

Had a car for only 5 weeks. Car was t-boned in a parking lot by a State Farm client. First the client failed to turn in the claim. We turned it in to them upon getting the police report. State F. said they would reach out to their client. Three days later we call State Farm again to find that they were waiting for a police report... which we had, and promptly sent to them. All promises of getting a claims person out really fell short, as particular days were mentioned, and would come and go with NO CLAIMS REP.

Finally... 16 days into this, a State Farm agent shows, writes a claim. Whopping $6500. Parking lot accident caused by a youngster who just got her driver license. Yeah! Overall I think State Farm handled this too slow. Pray you never are hit by a State Farm client. If you are...use your own company to get your estimate and let them go after State Farm. They must be too big to take care of their workload.

After being a long-time customer, my son had an accident. We learned that was not at his hand and we were cancelled. I 2 years earlier had a fender bender that was going to be paid out of my pocket and the insurance told me the amount I will pay the man for cash outta pocket. Then w/o calling talking to me, after I told them I was paying outta pocket paid on their own. What pieces of work they are. I will never use them again!!! I had 3 vehicles on insurance. What a disappointment.

So we've been with State Farm for a few years and all has been well. Someone got a hold of my bank card information so I started paying my bill manually, and have been doing so for a year. Recently I signed in to pay my bill and was told I would owe almost $800 for June. My insurance bill is about $230. I contacted an agent who told me that it's because I haven't updated my card, so they're charging me for an extra month, PLUS they forgot to charge me for my Husband's new car when we first got it (which is news to me) so they decided to catch up 3 months later!? What is this? So in order to get the payment down I HAVE to sign up for the autopay program. It's total **. I prefer having control over! Account. How is this legal?

Insurance buyers BEWARE! State Farm looks for 1 claim, regardless of who is at fault, in a 13-year time span. After 27 years of coverage, in multiple lines, we had 6 claims in 4 years for 4 drivers and 3 automobiles. Three were losses 100% to the other driver, and not on our insurance. Two claims were minor, and 1 claim was ours and bigger. State Farm dropped us, but only on our autos (for which we promptly dropped all other lines!). They claim that through the Lexus Nexus reporting system, they view all records for their insured, regardless of who paid on the claim. So, they hold accidents against you, even when you are found faultless. What a total racket!

They claim all insurance companies do that. However, I can assure you they DO NOT. I am not insured with Farmers Insurance, better coverage, better rates, and none of the BS I received from State Farm. Buyers beware... "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" only if you live next to crooks! This is just about the auto, but I can also affirm that when our house was hit by a tornado, clearly through no fault of our own, and they received government kick back because it was labeled as a natural disaster, they only paid for the half of our roof that was damaged. The other half came from our pockets! We should have left sooner. Our fault for trying to be loyal. Please learn from our mistakes, and choose someone else for insurance!

I switched to State Farm after being dropped by my previous insurance for being too "high risk" even though I had not had a ticket in more than 2 years. My prior insurance (marketed as the company that will save you money...) payment was $96/mo (again "high risk") and after switching my payment immediately dropped to $52/mo! Thanks to the Drive Safe and Save program not only are my rates cut in half but I can show actual record of being an excellent driver! Win win! In addition, setting up my policy online was a breeze, the app is user friendly, and my agent called me within 24 hours to check-in.

Rate increase - I've been with State Farm for a little of 2 years. My daughter got a car. I co-signed for it. My went up to 297, which was ok with me because of my daughter age. The problem came later when I purchased a car. It went from 298 to 312. Still no problem. Several months later it went to 336. Still no problem. The problem came when I call to make a payment it was 368. They said it was because of the device they sent me in the mail that I never used. But they said they had given me the discount prior to sending me the device that I never used so they charged me for it. But how are you going to give discounts when you never activate the device to your car so how did they track it? I paid the 368 then my payment went from 336 to 351 after I paid for the device I never used.

So then my younger son got his DL so I added him as a driver because they said you have to name everyone in your household with a DL but excluded from the policy, so I get a bill for 633+. So I called the local office and the girl was rude and she had a nasty attitude when I tried to get some understanding about the bill because it was ridiculous. Of course she was no help. This company or individually owned need to get qualified agents/employees. One agent called me about the first increase and that was it no one else ever call me or notify me about the other increases. I use to think it was a pretty good company but not anymore. I am in pursue of other companies as I write. I agree there should be some investigation of this company. It is a RIP OFF!!!

I called Roadside Assistance around 5:15 pm Wednesday 5/31/17 from the parking garage of where I work, which is also an hour from my home. My husband was at his work which was also an hour away from our home in the other direction. My car stalled in the parking garage of where I work. My husband said to call State Farm's Roadside Assistance. So I did. When I called, I told her I wanted the car to be towed where I live, she said it would be $29.25. She was telling me unless I paid the 29 dollars, there was NO tow. So I gave her my debit card, she sent me an email receipt to my email. I waited and around 6:55 pm, I got a recording that the E.T. A would be 5 minutes. I called back at 7:32 pm and the lady on the other end put me on hold and said the driver would be another 25 minutes.

By that time, my husband called frantic that not only was it dark, but I was on a desolate road; he decided to come for me. I got a call from a driver at 8:30 pm, at this point it was very dark, he asked me if I needed a tow, I yelled at him and told him; "yes, 3 hours ago". He asked again if I needed him, I told him; " no, my husband was coming", he said "Ok no problem." My husband got to me which was at 8:40 pm and the another driver called and asked me if I needed a tow. I said the same thing: "yes, 3 hours ago". He asked me; "didn't state farm tell you I was at a state police situation?" I said;"no". Meanwhile the security guard came out from the business I work at to see if I was alright, I told him everything and he said he was thinking that he and his wife will switch to State Farm but after seeing I've been hitting for 3 1/2 hours, he said "forget State Farm."

At this point my husband did all he could to get the car going and we switched cars. I decided at that point to call roadside assistance again to tell them how horrible they are and this was totally uncalled for. When I expressed to the person, and I was not gentle in my approach, she put me on hold and never came back. I called again, making sure I cancelled the tow, and I hear I will receive a refund in 7-10 business days, I expressed very sternly that it took 2 minutes to take my debit card, NO ONE EVER SHOWED UP TO HELP, and it's going to take more than a week to get my money back for services I never received!!! I called my insurance location in the morning about this and they had the complaint department call me; what good that did. She gave me a bunch of rigamarole of how State Farm is upstanding and they stand by what they represent.

This was my first time using roadside assistance and this is what they did. I let them know what my husband said about how upstanding AAA is and that there has to be a better insurance company who would stand for what they represent. A year or so ago, I had a car-homeowners insurance with a company for 23 years, I had a piece of jewelry that got eaten up by my garbage disposal with a $1500 price to have it fixed, I called my previous insurance company and they said that in order for them to pay that, it had to be either destroyed by a criminal or a volcano. I DROPPED THEM! -- for State Farm... go figure!!!

I have been with State Farm for 30 years and never had a problem until recently. I have not had any violations since the 90s or any claims ever. I have my house and 3 cars with them and they just keep going up and up every time I turn around and I am sick of it. State Farm is about to lose my business and the funny thing is I hardly drive at all anymore but every month I can count on a increase.

I was with State Farm insurance and my payment was coming out of my bank account automatically every 12 of the month. They had the wrong address and they NEVER send me a letter saying my insurance premium was going go up. On the day of payment they took 390 for the monthly payment. My bank account overdraft and it's been more than 20 days and I have not been able to receive payment. My rent is due and I have a budget and my car it's currently with no insurance in case of anything happen. It's the worst experience ever. I would like to know if there's something I can do.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

State Farm is one of America's largest and most popular full-service insurance companies. The company was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George Jacob Mecherle, and it has since grown to become the No. 41 ranked company on the Fortune 500 list of the largest companies.

• Teenage driver discounts: State Farm offers a unique program called the Steer Clear Safe Driving program, which affords families with teenage drivers insurance discounts if they complete State Farm's course on safe driving.
  • Emergency roadside service: The company offers policyholders emergency roadside assistance should drivers run out of gas or oil, have a flat tire or lock their keys in their car (in addition to a myriad of other auto emergencies.)
  • Rental reimbursement program: Drivers who get in a collision and have to rent a car while theirs is being repaired are reimbursed for the cost of the rental car by State Farm.
  • Educational resources: The company offers customers and potential customers tons of helpful educational resources via their website, including helpful tips for purchasing the right car and equipment for the lowest insurance prices possible.
  • Specialized insurance offerings: State Farm offers a selection of specialized auto insurance, including not only classic car insurance, but also antique car insurance, for cars that are older than classic cars.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who have teenage children who are learning to drive.

Compare Auto Insurance