3.9/5 (290 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About SafeAuto Insurance

SafeAuto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. It’s an Ohio-based company that’s independently owned and serves 28 states. It directly provides policyholders minimum-limit insurance, nonstandard coverage and comprehensive options. It offers payment plans and a mobile app for policy management.

Pros

• Affordable plans
  • Three payment options
  • App accessibility
  • Nonstandard policies

Cons

• Can be expensive
  • Mixed reviews
  • Available in only 28 states

Bottom Line

SafeAuto offers flexible nonstandard and comprehensive auto coverage policies. While it has mixed reviews and is available in just 28 states, its affordability and coverage might be ideal for some — especially high-risk drivers.

Top SafeAuto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Safe Auto is the best insurance company I have found so far because they pay their claims in a very timely manner, and if I have any problems they have a 1-800 number so I can spe...

Verified

I've had Safe Auto for over 5 yrs now and never had any problems with them. Their customer service is excellent. Their claims dept is fast and efficient if you ever need to file a...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is SafeAuto?

SafeAuto is an insurance company that provides affordable state-minimum auto coverage in 28 states. Though it specializes in auto insurance, it does offer more than 10 other types of coverage, including homeowners and dental insurance. As a nonstandard provider, SafeAuto offers products for drivers who don’t usually qualify for affordable rates, e.g., those with DUIs or bad credit.

How does SafeAuto work?

With SafeAuto, you can choose from its many products to find a fast and affordable quote. Most SafeAuto policies are designed to meet state minimums, which makes its prices lower, but you can also add additional coverage to suit your needs. Simply fill out the online form with your information and vehicle coverage needs, then you’ll receive customized quotes with flexible payment options. From there, you can choose to enroll immediately online or call for more information.

SafeAuto quotes and costs

With three payment plan options, SafeAuto lets you customize the way you pay to make its coverage more affordable and budget-friendly. The cost of a SateAuto car insurance policy depends on factors like your credit score, location, coverage type and more. For example, a quote for a male driver in Kansas City with a good record and credit score comes to $359 for six months (for a 2004 Chevy Malibu).

SafeAuto FAQ

Who owns SafeAuto?
Ron Davies is the company's president and CEO.
Does SafeAuto have roadside assistance?
Yes, and it’s free. SafeAuto’s roadside assistance program offers towing, jump-starts, tire changes, gas and fluid delivery, lockout services and winching.
Is SafeAuto a standard insurance company?
No. SafeAuto specializes in nonstandard auto insurance for individuals who have a hard time qualifying for standard policies elsewhere.
Does SafeAuto have homeowners insurance?
SafeAuto doesn’t underwrite or fulfill homeowners insurance policies, but it does partner with Hippo to provide home protection.

Is SafeAuto good insurance?

SafeAuto specializes in nonstandard coverage, making it a good option for those who have a hard time qualifying for affordable coverage elsewhere. Because of this focus, its costs are sometimes a bit higher than state or national averages — and it's available only to residents in 28 states. Overall, though, SafeAuto’s flexible payment plans, app connectivity and easy-to-use platform make it a good option for those with low credit and tight budgets.

SafeAuto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SafeAuto Insurance?

Original review: July 29, 2022

They canceled my insurance but I was never contacted and I made my monthly payment, which was never refunded to me. The app shows my policy as active but then when I clicked on view auto pay settings it redirects me to another site where it prompts me to login again. Then it shows my policy as cancelled. I checked and my address and phone number are correct however I was never contacted prior to today when a lady called me and told me my policy canceled days ago. She said they can’t apply the $300 I just paid to it but wants me to contact them to start a new policy. So I’m supposed to be out of $300 and then give you all more money on top of that to start a new policy when you never contacted me prior to today regarding the policy that is still showing as active and up to date on the Safe Auto app I have on my phone.

This is not the first time they have misinformed me and mismanaged my payment. In February of this year, they emailed me about issues with their system and a payment I had made. It’s funny how they were able to contact my by way of email in February but now in July and regarding a policy cancellation, they have not contacted me via email. I am looking into my options regarding this matter as this company should not get away with taking a payment on a policy that was current and then canceling the policy.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

When shopping for automobile insurance the agent for Safeco made recommendations to making sure I had sufficient insurance coverage. She offered me an umbrella policy which the cost was very reasonable for a lot of coverage. It gave me added coverage for my home and other aspects of benefits that I had no idea was available.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I will not recommend SafeAuto to ANYBODY. They really surprised me about my tow. I paid $92 for tow safe auto only wants to pay $40. I still haven't received any money. I'm waiting for my refund for the cancelation refund.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I would give this crooked low down company a zero star. I accepted a quote with them and just as I went to finalize it. I received a better offer from a competitor. It was less than 30mins and the charged me $50 to cancel a policy that I didn't even fill out the paperwork for. I'm wish I could sue.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Called SafeAuto Insurance for a quotes. Gave them accurate driving history and was quoted $90 down and $79 a month for state minimum and SR-22. After the $90 down has cleared my account. I received an email stating that I owe another $169 in a few days 8/3/21. At this point I have only had them for a few days. I called and canceled, right away. Found another insurance companies and had a policy through that company Aug 6 2021.

I spoken with 2 different women after canceling and was told that I wasn't covered by safe auto from the date I canceled. I was also told that I'd be refunded $45 of the $90 I paid down and used for only a couple days. I received a bill from them for $45 instead and I was shocked. They claim that I was still insured through Aug 14th 2021, however I already had a new policy elsewhere and was told that I was getting a refund. Essentially I paid $90 for a couple days of "insurance" and now they want another $45. $135 total for 2 or 3 days of insurance I never used. What a scam.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Safe Auto stinks. They give you a "quote" and then add an additional fee AFTER you have chosen to accept the quote. But if you CANCEL after accepting the quote, you still have to pay additional fees (because they ran your reports, etc... Well doesn't EVERY SINGLE INSURANCE COMPANY run your reports before quoting you?). And THEN, at the end of the policy period, they charge fees to cancel, even if you don't cancel early. Their reasoning is that they sent you a renewal bill and they ran your reports again, and it is an "earned" fee because they ran your reports again (even though you had not chosen to renew with them!!!). 0 stars for SafeAuto. They suck.

Original review: March 13, 2021

SafeAuto told me our car was totaled after they towed it to their storage building. We were covered by this policy for collision. This car was financed with one more year to pay off. They refused to pay anything to the bank. Safe Auto stated that the bank would have to turn the title over to them BEFORE SafeAuto would pay anything to GMC Financial towards the pay-off. GMC refused to turn the title over to SafeAuto BEFORE receiving their pay-off. Basically Safe Auto Insurance was of zero value on our claim. We got nothing from Safe Auto, nothing at all. I really think how they handled our claim was illegal!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Friendly workers, low prices, and can pay every six months. No one can match the price no matter how much they try. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone just starting out trying to find a inexpensive auto insurance company. If your car is older they have rather cheap insurance for the vehicle you have. The newer the more expensive it might be but still less than most companies.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I got an estimate from SafeAuto for car insurance, thought the rate was reasonable and started a policy. Two days later my rate went up because of an old ticket I had forgotten, my mistake. Found another insurance company that offered a lower rate with the ticket considered so I decided to switch. SafeAuto made that process extremely difficult, "accidently" hung up on me and kept entering my info wrong. After two hours finally got confirmation of policy cancelation and was promised the difference back from the coverage I had already paid for. I still haven't gotten a penny back from them, tried to call multiple times and the reps keep saying they can't find my info or account and no money will be refunded to me.

It is theft, by a company or an individual, straight up theft. This is not an insurance company in my opinion, and they should be held accountable by the law. Unfortunately it isn't enough money to warrant litigation or I would be considering it. Do yourself a favor and pay a little extra if necessary to get a better company. SafeAuto will never have your back unless it's for the sole purpose of rummaging around in your wallet.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

An AllState insurer back into my car while I was stopped at a light. This was 7/24/20. I'm still waiting to be assisted with my claim. The claims rep Danielle said she was having a hard time filing for me, and told me to file myself online as a third party. This is very frustrating as I also had a hard time filing and feel this is what I pay Safe Auto for. Tomorrow is Oct 1 and still no claim has been filed so my car's body work can be fixed. I'm definitely changing car insurance. Stay far away from this company.

SafeAuto Insurance Company Information