Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.39/5

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. Safe Auto is not an InsuraMatch partner. Contact InsuraMatch to get several insurance quotes from different providers and find the right carrier for your situation. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Auto Insurance is an Ohio-based and independently owned company serving 16 states. It provides minimum limit insurance, non-standard coverage and comprehensive options directly to consumers. Positive customer reviews appreciate the range of options and say they are likely to renew their policy.

PROS

• Liability, collision and comprehensive coverages
  • New business transfer discount
  • 24/7 customer service
  • Home owner discount
  • SR-22 option

CONS

• No online claims
  • Limited to 16 states
  • Low down payment and affordable monthly installments

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Safe Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I was deceived and misquoted auto insurance premiums when I was told that my monthly premiums would be set at $118 and when I tried to make my payment it was way more than the quoted price. On top of that, I wasn't informed that I had to make a payment two weeks after my down payment of $108. They wanted $156 thereafter. So this company is defrauding consumers big time. I contacted the BBB and when Safe Auto was contacted by BBB, Safe Auto then emailed me to go back to the original premium quote for $118. After I settled the case with BBB, Safe Auto went BACK to trying to hit me up for the $156. This is bad business practices and consumers needs to be warned.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

After going through their online Insurance Quote process, it said, make 2 payments, by paying $170, they did NOT disclose that $50 of that $170 payment was a nonrefundable PROCESSING FEE. I was thereby tricked into buying their insurance coverage when I could have simply paid much less with Progressive Insurance. I searched for reviews of this company. Ran into THOUSANDS of 1-star reviews with complaints of dishonesty, trickery, sudden rate hikes, just to make a few...

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I called 5 ins co's & all were high but Safe Auto was the cheapest, or so I thought. They gave me a discount for being a home owner. At that time I paid the quoted 6 month premium in full. I mailed & faxed them my proof of home ownership. They kept sending me a bill every month. I would call, & have to spend an hour on the phone arguing with them about already submitting the info, but they would say they didn't receive it. Finally I demanded to speak with the supervisor who after being on hold 45 minutes tells me they did in fact receive my home proof the 1st time!! But then tells me it's been denied! Wth, then on hold again for him to come back & tell me they finally accepted it but now I still owe for a prior ins discount, that (I most certainly never received).

Then they cancelled my insurance policy in the 5th month when I clearly paid for a 6 month premium. Moral of this story is that these people have no morals, no couth or ethics or respect for anything but free money & will lie cheat & steal from you without remorse. Why isn't anyone putting their foot in these people's rear ends? Avoid the headaches, you've been warned.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

A representative from the claims' department was rude to me. Another driver was held liable for causing the damage to my vehicle. Myself and the other driver has SafeAuto (car insurance company). The claim was submitted through the woman's insurance, but was denied due to the woman not having a current license at the time of the accident. The woman claimed that she did not have the spare time to renew her license. The rep from SafeAuto told me that I would have to contact my insurance company to start the claim since it's being denied on the woman's end. The crazy thing about it is.... I have SafeAuto as well. I would've thought that he would've done his research first. He was so dismissive with me.

I just feel defeated at this point. I'm not satisfied. Lastly, I have started coverage with this company on 09/05/2019. I was issued a notice of cancellation on 09/23/2019 due to nonpayment of premium. This is sooo wrong on many levels. My bill should have been due monthly as I was told. What is the grace period for the payment from the date of the bill? I have checked online and it said that there's a 30 day grace period. However, I have called their customer service line and was told that there is no grace period. The representative also told me that the wording on the Notice of Cancellation document is "kind of funky". I'm glad that he realized that this company is doing some fishy things. This is misleading. For car insurance, you're usually sent a 10-day notice of cancellation a few days after your premium due date. In this case, I have received a notice of cancellation prior to the bill's due date.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

The Safe Auto driver ran a stop sign and plowed into our Suburban, causing significant damage as well as injury to a young child passenger who was transported to the hospital by EMS. Accident report was completed with the Safe Auto driver being clearly listed as the at fault driver. Contact was made with Safe Auto the following day. Safe Auto did authorize a rental vehicle but would nothing further in regards to damage to our vehicle. Safe Auto's adjustor finally made contact and said they decided that we (the victims!) were 10% at fault because their driver SAID she thought we must have been speeding otherwise we should have been able to stop before she hit us. Yes, we were actually told that. So we had to get our insurance company to take over and make Safe Auto take responsibility.

We have State Farm< and they took care of everything< and Safe Auto no doubt ended up paying more than they would have if they had just been reasonable in the first place. Also, they tried to back up the date they had given us on the rental car to scam us. The rental Agency called and told us they had manipulated the date of return without informing anyone and that they weren't going to hold us financially responsible for what Safe Auto tried to do. What an absolute joke of a company!

The Safe Auto adjustor was a childish, rude BULLY and the fact that Safe Auto hires people like this to bully the victims in car accidents, when their insured people are blatantly at fault, is frightening and disgusting! We have told everyone we know about our experience so that they don't have to suffer the bullying and disrespect that was maliciously dealt to us by that extremely unprofessional adjustor. Safe Auto should be very ashamed, but everybody knows that the scummy insurance companies in the insurance world will do anything they can to avoid paying or pay far less than they should even when they are clearly responsible. Morals and ethics are clearly lacking in the Safe Auto company!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

One of SAFE Auto's clients hit my vehicle in a parking lot and left. After a week of waiting, their adjuster finally called me only after I left a voice mail on his supervisors voice mail. Now they are not releasing payment. If you are the victim of one of their clients, best thing to do is pay your deductible and let your insurance company do it. If I could give it negative stars, I would.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

The time now is 8:48 pm EST. I just got off the phone with one of the worst customer services ever! I called because they never sent me my proof of insurance and I had my vehicle for over 1 month already. I asked them to email it to me which they sent me a download link to Adobe Acrobat Reader. I downloaded and had to put my credit card information in and was directed to NOTHING! I called and asked if anyone could help me get my insurance information and was rudely spoken to by Tony, the "Supervisor" and the other representative. When I asked to speak with Tony's boss, he told me he cannot give me that information and told me he could not help me. Still to this point, I do not have any proof of insurance and I am lost with no help on how do I obtain my information after downloading Adobe. This is the WORST experience and I will be going to another Insurance company. DO NOT GO THROUGH SAFE AUTO! You will regret it!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I signed up, agreeing to a rate. An hour later it went up by $50, and when I asked to cancel they refused a full refund and also charged to cancel. Extremely shady business, and poor, impersonal customer service. I will never use them again. RUN AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I'm not a Safe Auto customer, but was in an accident by one of their insured. Their driver pulled out in front of me and I T-Boned him on 12-28-18, and it's now 8-28-19 and Safe Auto has been giving me the run around since day one. Their driver was ticketed and admitted to the police that he pulled out in front of me. I called Safe Auto in order to get a rental vehicle and Don told me that he would have to look at the police report to see who was at fault. After knowing his driver was at fault they still didn't provide me with a vehicle. Told them that I'm a business owner and have to move around, but they never provided me transportation. I would call and get no return calls and when they call they would say that they've been trying to reach me (lies). When they didn't provide me with a rental they wanted me to give a recorded statement and I declined, because they were already playing unfair and I knew what they were trying to do.

Long story short with no recorded statement they (Don) determined that I was at 40% fault. My truck is totaled and the adjuster that came out only took pics of the exterior of my truck when I wasn't home. He never popped the hood to see the battery flipped to the side and the radiator and cooler busted, the bumper, frame and lights are all damaged. I have medical bills (not paid), loss of wages, a totaled truck and Safe Auto sent me a $500 check. I will sue the vehicle owner and let him deal with Safe Auto once I gather the procedure in doing so. I value my case at under $9,000, and was telling (Don) that I believe I would be ok and to just fix my truck and cover my minor medical bills. SMH... Should I have lied or be honest? Seems like honesty doesn't work these days for me. Safe Auto will leave their customers vulnerable to being sued personally. WARNING!!! Stay away from this company. Even their customers are complaining.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Omg I wish I would have never purchased a policy with this insurance company. First of all I was quoted a really low rate on coverage for a car that I'm financing but when I purchased the policy the price raised to almost double. So after 2 months of paying the stupidly expensive price I found a better and cheaper car insurance company. For 40% less the price SafeAuto was charging me, for me, my wife and our 2 cars. So I gave safeauto a call to cancel my policy not long after making a payment to them. I was informed by the phone rep that it would be better if I emailed my my cancellation request along with my letter of declaration from my new insurance provider. He also informed me that I would receive a prorated refund amount from the beginning of my new policy with liberty Mutual. The none reply email informed me that my request would be processed 3 days after. Ok great, so 2 1/2 weeks pass I get a bill from safeauto for 365.00.

I had to call today to cancel the policy with them. Something I tried to do weeks ago. So instead of getting a refund I find out I now owe 75.96. The total opposite of what I was told. I know it's only 75 bucks, but I feel like I'm being punished for trying handle switching car insurance the correct way and listening to the advice of their customer care rep. Should I just accept it or waste more of my time trying to the get money owed to me. I'm torn. Guys do not purchase a policy with safeauto. You have been warned.

Not sure about Safe Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information