1.42/5
Based on 105 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

Safe Auto Insurance

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. Safe Auto is not an InsuraMatch partner. Contact InsuraMatch to get several insurance quotes from different providers and find the right carrier for your situation. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

108 Safe Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

Safe Auto has very deceptive business practices... I've been with them for several years but not without challenges... I had to file a complaint because I'd rec'd my monthly billing statement 3 days before it was due, ensuring Safe Auto could charge me a late fee. Then I'd pay my premiums for the 6 month period and would have to contact customer service to have a supervisor deduct the $10.00 surcharge, i.e. ($241.00-$10.00=$231.00) but I couldn't pay just the $231.00 online though both options were clearly visible.

I filed a complaint and argued the lower price was the incentive for paying 6 months only to be told the $10.00 was given as a courtesy and would no longer be given... Recently I contacted Safe Auto to close my account because I no longer have the car. Customer Service said there was a $25.00 cancellation fee but I'd only have to pay $5.00 because I had a 20.00 credit on my account and gave me the mailing address. Sent the check but rec'd a notice in the mail stating the $5.00 couldn't be credited to my account because the account was now closed and instructed to reinstate my policy for the amount to be credited or the amount would be sent back and fees would be assessed for Safe Auto having to mail it back to me... I had no knowledge of any $20.00 on my account nor did Safe Auto inform me of such... The accumulation of the undisclosed $10.00 could go on indefinitely not to mention how many consumers this is happening to...

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am not even a member of Safe Auto and will never be based on my experience with a claim. A Safe Auto insured driver rear ended me and I put in a claim. I had to do the job of the adjuster and take my own pictures and videos to send them through a Safe Auto app so they could do an "estimate". They did the estimate and sent me a check and promised me a rental car while my car was being repaired. I ended up having to pay 4 days for a rental car because they did not want to pay for a whole week that I was without my car. I go through Travelers insurance and also went through State Farm and Progressive before and I never had to deal with such crappy customer care with any of them as I had to with Safe Auto. This is the worst insurance company I ever had to deal with and the accident was their client's fault.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 26, 2018

They only got 1 star because I couldn't do zero stars. UUUGGGHHH! I started a policy on 06/19/18 and paid $235, I cancelled the policy on 06/23/18, I was informed that I was not getting a refund and that I have a balance on the account of $190 because I self cancelled before the intended cancellation date they can charge me 10% of the 6 month premium. Which if I do not pay they will send to collections. I feel like they trick people out of their hard earned money and can get away with it. I have never had an insurance company that keeps our money if you cancel a policy that you clearly do not need.

My faith in people diminishes every day because you have companies like this that can just scam people and it's legal. They can hide behind a statement in their policy booklet that states they can charges you 10% of your 6 month premium and there is NOTHING the customer can do about it. They can take your money and say ** YOU!!! I am filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I had to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency surgery and will be out of work for a few weeks. I called to see if they could waive this month's payment as I have been a customer for quite some time. I was told no. Then my policy rates went up to no reasoning other than I suppose they felt that Ohio was getting too good a deal. Tack on top of the highly annoying harassment mail they start pumping out the first of the month and phone calls, they charge you $3.95 to pay your bill online. This company is complete crap when it comes to looking out for their customers. Every one of my other monthly bills I am responsible for were more than willing to help me out in this time of need except for them, and their supervisors aren’t good for any answers to any questions you have. Pretty much, they suck and I’ll be shopping for a new provider ASAP. I can’t be the only person who has fallen on a hard time that they could give a damn about.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It was rather simple to get an insurance policy through Safe Auto! I was so very happy to have found this. The price is the cheapest that I could find in calling around & comparing prices. Some prices that other companies are asking for are completely absurd! I will never try to get a policy with any other agency! But I hate that my insurance company mails my payment so early & it always says my payment is due way before it is actually due. They also call a gazillion times to remind you of your darn bill!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have always used Safe Auto. They have always been cheaper and met my needs for the most part. The people who work at Safe Auto are very kind and always respectful. If they didn't know the answer to my question they made sure they went ahead and asked someone else who would know the answer. They were always very helpful when I needed them to assist me. When I had gotten into an accident, I have received several calls to check on me over a few weeks of time after the accident. However, they only offer full coverage insurance on vehicles that are of newer age. I can't afford brand new vehicles and when I purchased my truck it was a 2001 and they didn't have full coverage available for me and my vehicle. Other than that I absolutely love the company. I would most definitely refer any family or friends even strangers to Safe Auto.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I was a good paying, happy customer of 5 years. This until I was injured in a not at fault accident. I’m unable to get the recommended treatment because of not having the money as I fight Safe Auto. They don’t give a damn about their customers. At times when your insurance company should be there they are everything but that!!! Then they have the audacity to try to raise my rates...

Original review: April 17, 2018

I never had Safe Auto, but I work in a car dealership for a Buy Here Pay Here and Safe Auto doesn't want to pay out to the bank if the car is totaled. We as the dealership would have to call many times thru the week to get any results. Do yourself a favor do not get Safe Auto. Pay a little more for someone else, we now let our customers know they cannot use Safe Auto for Full Coverage cause of their BS, when you're looking for Insurance view for the reviews and discounts that is the best way to shop for Auto Insurance.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I called Safe Auto 11/2017 about having a vehicle removed. Come 2/2018 I was wondering why I was still paying the full amount for one Vehicle. I was told they show no record of me requesting to have my vehicle removed. So I ask if they could remove and make a payment. 4 days later they still did not remove my vehicle and they did not take my payment out.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Was charged my first month then they more than doubled the premium and said if I didn't pay the increased premium I would not have coverage until I paid the higher premium. When I said I wanted to cancel and return my initial payment. They would not return my full amount, deducting fees, etc. The best though was that they would mail me a check! They instantly took my money but they want me to wait to give me my money back. Absolutely absurd! I would give them 0 stars but I was forced to leave at least one!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

When I requested a quote from Safe Auto for auto insurance for my son, I listed an accident and a failure to yield citation on their form. The quote came back for $348 monthly premium. I signed up and paid the $348. The next day I received an e-mail stating that I owed $544 more. I called to cancel and was told to cancel it would cost me $348 plus $114 more just to cancel the policy I had for 2 days.

When I asked why the premium had changed from the first quote, I was told because of the "failure to yield" citation came back from the DMV. I told her I listed it for the quote I was given. IT DID NOT MATTER!! She also stated that in Georgia, they are allowed to keep 90% of the premium to cancel a new policy which equals to $462. First, they quote $348, then bill for $544 more, and require $114 more to cancel. THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN. They didn't do this to only me because there are 100s of bad reviews out there about them doing the same thing. DON'T EVER USE SAFE AUTO or you will be sorry.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Yes, I realized it could go up from the quote when you're pricing new insurance but DOUBLE!?!? And then when you cancel within 26 hours because you really can get better/cheaper insurance, you're charged $25 cancellation AND a $40 application fee... LOL... WTH!!! If I could give them zero stars I would... How this came to light. I paid them $135 to start the insurance at 7AM. The next morning at 7AM I received a bill due in 10 days for $213!! So I called them and cancelled at 9AM.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I switched from Progressive to Safe Auto on December 11, 2017. About Dec. 26 I received a threatening letter in the mail that my insurance would be cancelled if payment was not received by Jan. 11 2018. In two days I received a text about such payment, then another letter, another email, etc. By Jan. 11, 2018 I was a nervous wreck, from fifteen days of harassment, I called to pay my bill and was charged 3.95. Wow I thought, then here comes Feb. and the harassment starts again. I paid my bill on Feb. 9 2018 and set up auto payments. On Feb. 26, 2018 they charged me another 117 bucks.

To make a long story short this company claims to generate your bill cost 10 bucks, yet they have no problem harassing their clients to death. This company not only charged a 10 installment fee but also 3.95 to process a payment. That is a yearly total of 147.40 to generate a bill and process a payment. Once again, they have no problem starting the harassment 15 days before your bill is due, but they charge 13.95 extra a month to pay it. What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My vehicle was stolen 12/20/17; as of 2/20/18 my theft claim with Safe Auto is still "under review". We provided everything they requested including handing them over the ID of the thief we found in the vehicle. They have been stalling us and each week requesting additional information that could have been provided in the beginning. Each additional item they request comes with a 7 day turnaround time, so as of today they said they need another 7 days. The adjuster has been indignant to the inconvenience we have experienced.

We are seeking an attorney to help resolve this further and for compensation as we have still been paying our car payment and insurance premium. As a family, we have lost out on priceless family events because we have no vehicle and the car rental coverage we paid for is a joke, because for a theft we only have $10 a day coverage. We would have had better compensation had we been involved in a wreck versus being the victim of a crime. Oh yeah, my wifes job requires me to have a federal background check and license and they are investigating us as if I am the car thief.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Paid $78 Bill on 5th. Cancelled on the 12th because I got better insurance for a cheaper price. Asked for a refund, they charged me $25 to cancel and they are only giving me a $3.00 refund! Safe Auto is the worst insurance company out there! Overcharge people for minimum coverage, send cancellation notice 3 days after they mail you a bill. Then don't refund your money when you cancel just a week later! Safe Auto sucks... Use anyone else but these people! Oh and they charge you an extra $3.95 to pay your bill online or on the phone! That's addition to the $10 fee per month they charge you to even pay your bill monthly! They suck in so many ways. Read all reviews about Safe Auto before you even think about using these butt heads!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Safe Auto is the worst car insurance company ever. Don't even waste your time or money on them because all they will do is give you a hard time, give you a big headache and waste your time... Unless of course you have no life and you have all the time in the whole to devote your life to calling them and trying to fix your policy and your bill that would randomly go up for no reason. Not send you proof of insurance until you called 4 times asking for them to send it. Never sending you paperwork you're supposed to sign. OMG I can't believe how horrible the experience I've had with them. I'm so done with them and I would advise for no one to ever waste your time or money with them. They are really not that much cheaper than other insurance companies. Maybe $5 a month you would save for having them which is not worth the bs you will go through with them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was hit by a Safe Auto insured driver who was cutting through a parking lot, came around a corner & slammed into my car which was driving straight on a side road. Safe Auto says they're not liable. So if you have Safe Auto you can make a left directly into oncoming traffic & don't worry. You're not liable. Guess everyone should be off the road when you're coming if you're insured with Safe Auto. Scam insurance company for sure!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Safe Auto Insurance agent guaranteed me that my monthly bill would be $81 and so I agreed to have them as my car insurer. 9/2/2017 well my next bill was $133 Which I did not pay and they cut my car insurance days short of a month 10/27/2017 that I had paid for and which me and the car insurance agent agreed on. THEN I get a letter from Safe Auto Insurance saying that I owe $35. What nerve! Cons!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Upon purchasing a new policy yesterday, Safe Auto claims it will take up to 72 hours for them to 'electronically file' my SR-22 with the BMV. Up to 72 hours to send an email??? They had no problem taking my money electronically. THAT was immediate! They won't email the insurance card to me. They won't fax it to me. They won't allow me to come in and pick it up. Now, I have to drive illegally for 2 more days, because they won't give me what I paid for. The only reason I gave them a 2 star rating is because they are the most inexpensive company around. But if you're trying to get your license back? Don't go with these guys. Go with a small company out of the Yellow Pages. You can walk in the office and get the paperwork that you paid for immediately.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We bought our 2012 Ford Fiesta from a dealership so obviously we had to have full coverage insurance. The price difference was only ten bucks from our previous insurer, so we decided to go with Safe Auto. Fast forward five months and our car was hit by a runaway tire on the freeway. Don't know whose it was or where it came from. Called the insurance company right away and went through the runaround to find out how much they'd pay after us paying the deductible. They sent an estimate of around 3 grand in damages, a week later sent a check for a little over 1,700. Our deductible was 500, but the shop was one of those that pay your deductible if the damages exceed so much. Our insurance came to an end October 1st, so we switched to Geico because it was over a hundred dollars cheaper for full coverage.

We finally were able to get the car into the shop Monday this week, it's now Wednesday and the shop discovered another 3 grand worth of damages, called the insurance company to keep them updated and presumably for the money to fix the parts. They called us an hour later saying they're now considering the car "totaled". Which is BS because the car still drives absolutely fine, it's just cosmetic damages, a tire replacement, and a few other things that would still relate to cosmetic issues. I should note that every time we called to talk to a representative, it was as if nobody on the other line even heard of a car before. It was almost like they had never done their job before in all honesty. Safe Auto workers are equivalent T Mobile workers. Definitely would not even recommend to my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

One month in and already the worst car insurance company I have ever dealt with. Never before have I seen a company with so many white lies and sneakiness to get money out of you. I have had one policy for exactly 30 days as of writing this, they have charged me 2 times and are now asking for a third that is over twice as much!

When asking why, I am informed none of the due dates they send out are not accurate (in fact, they are stated as 2 weeks before the actual due date in every price of paperwork they have sent me). So, I paid 1 payment and another unknowingly early, I should have 2 months of coverage? I somehow am only covered for 1 and 1 week, and they are asking for over twice as much for unsigned paperwork they never sent out. Unsure how that math works out, and apparently the customer service reps are unsure as well but don't care enough to help. Please, if you need cheap and good insurance, go elsewhere.

Original review: July 24, 2017

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017, Safe Auto went to my online checking Account and deducted unauthorized $292.00 for car insurance which they already received on July 14, 2017. I called Safe Auto and explained to them that they have gone to my Checking account and deducted this money which was unauthorized. The Customer Service representative told me that they would refund my money back to me. I told them that was my Car payment for the month of July that they took, and that my vehicle would be repossessed, but to no avail from them. Later, I was told to send my bank statement even though they are seeing that they have this unauthorized money there. However, I did email it highlighting Safe Auto on my bank statement and covering up the other places that I do business with.

Subsequently, I was told to fax a second copy of my bank statement to their Accounting Department, but I told the young lady that I do not have a fax machine, but she was insisting that I must get one. Then came back and told that she would send it over to their accounting department via email. Later, she gets back to me stating that the Accounting Department wants to see all the items that I do business with on my bank statement of which I refused because I am not taking a loan from Safe Auto, but that Safe Auto went to my checking account and took unauthorized money off of my bank account.

Later, I called back on Friday and was met with two unprofessional staff members in the Customer Service department and Claims department as they were transferring me back and forth plus had me holding for a long time then cut-off the phone from one person to another arguing that they do not understand me, even though I am speaking the English language which is the universal language in the US and the world at large.

I then called the number to cancel the car insurance, and a refund of all my monies, but Marsha promised to help me by sending an email to the Accounting department to refund me my monies. Today I called to follow-up, and was not able to get any word on my refund and when I would get my monies back from Safe Auto. But was told again to send proof that they took my money out of my account, and they are seeing that they withdrew unauthorized monies from my checking Account twice. This representative said he cannot help me further.

Now I need to emphasize that I am not applying for a loan from Safe Auto to be up in my business, for me to send my bank statement to them. Also, I did not authorize them to draft my checking account twice. It was a one-time transaction and to add that my car insurance supposed to be $166.00 per month. While in the meantime my car is being repossessed, and without my car, I cannot pay them for car insurance. As of today, there is no positive word on my monies from Safe Auto, and I am on the verge of canceling my car insurance with them.

I need my monies back urgently at the same time frustrated with Safe Auto Insurance Company. Also, I would like to advise consumer to do not allow Safe Auto to withdraw money off of your Bank Account because they will take off unauthorized money from your checking account, and you will receive hell from them to get your monies back. I will also report this matter to the Better Business Bureau and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau because Safe Auto is causing me a lot of distress and expense. This is not right for business.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Beyond pissed off. They cancelled my son after 15 days and they are only refunding back 13 dollars. Stay away from these rip offs. They are the worst insurance ever. They will let you have insurance then cancel you after you pay out your ** then only refund back 13 dollars of 220 dollars and doesn't even have insurance for the month.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I opened an account with Safe Auto 9 years ago. I have never filed a claim until 5-11-2017 when my husband hit a pack of hogs during a hail storm in Texas. We met with the adjustor, but never heard back from Safe Auto. After calling 4 times a day to Ryan our claim rep and leaving numerous messages, I have lost hope. I am in the market for auto insurance and I am sure my husband's car will never be fixed. Thanks for all the years of taking my payments Safe Auto!

Original review: April 4, 2017

Before you purchase insurance through Safe Auto I would recommend getting a copy of your DMV or motor vehicle accident report claims and accidents to them. SafeAuto will rip you off by adding additional accident so they have a reason to raise your rates. I was told 130 I must and they said I was going to be paying 230 now. They are cheapskates and they will use you in any way to raise your car premium. I highly recommend that you do not use Safe Auto. They are liars. They are users and they love to play games with your customers. I complete this was dissatisfied with the service I had to let my cancel due to the fact they wanted 300 premium to pay and so again I recommend that you have your DMV record to prove that what accidents you had. They will pull anything out of your ** to raise your rates. They raise mine claiming I had 5 accidents not 2 when I had 2.

Original review: March 26, 2017

Annoying. I pay 4-6 months at a time. Every 3-5 months, without fail, Safe Auto is blowing me up threatening cancellation. I know when I'm due. I know what I've paid. I have credit card bills to prove it.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I claimed a wreck on 3/2/17 and have just received a quote, a very unimpressive quote at that. Not only that but I am being charged for storage of the car because they do not pay for it after a quote is received. They stated this on the 9th and I got my quote the 15th. Claim was made on the 2nd. I have talked to so many different people that are handling my case, it is ridiculous. I would rather pay $100 a month insurance than this junk.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017 I can't believe this company is still in business. They completely prey on lower income drivers and those with less than stellar driving records. Why do I say that? One of the always rude agents outright told me so! They quoted me $70 a month and within two months it is somehow up to $190 - with NO explanation.

Literally nobody there can explain why.

Also the first few times I called I was given a different quote each time based on the same exact information. These people are unbelievably rude, and I am pretty good at tolerating that while remaining pleasant. But every conversation in the last two months has been a disaster, I hang up being polite then scream and vent to my spouse. We both work jobs that pay ok but after bills etc we're not left with much, this is the only company we can afford. Be warned that the low rates quoted are inconsistent at best, and nothing more than a ploy to lure you in. It's a shame because years ago I had a policy with them and they were wonderful. Not sure what happened. Note I am basing this on 5-6 interactions, not 1 or 2. Disappointing and extremely frustrating experience, issues not resolved but actually getting worse.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Last Wednesday, a driver hit my car and ran. The back is needs repair but is still drivable. I did a claim and it took 48 hrs just to get an adjuster. They never answer the phone. Was told yesterday that this falls under Uninsured Motorist and to drop my car off for repair. Get a call later today that they gave the police report, located the driver, but have to confirm he has no insurance. Until they do so, it is under collision instead which is bull crap. He hit me and ran. Obviously he has no coverage. Why am I being penalized? Definitely not a happy customer.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I was applying online for a quote for auto insurance from Safe Auto Insurance. I went online to get the quote and I came to find out the company did not want any credit information. They did not ask me for my credit score. The only thing they were talking about was my age. The simple fact I was 45 years old, but I have 27 years of experience on the road... I asked the person on the phone about the quote. The customer service agent, the woman kept talking about my age and how old I am. Then she kept telling me my quote of $304 down and $284 a month has nothing to do with my credit has everything to do with my age. She said the same thing 10 times to me, because I asked her different questions about my car insurance for my 2003 Acura 3.2 TL. I even gave her my VIN number, so she could give me the correct quote. But she constantly barraged me with enormous amounts of quotes for my car.

The other quotes she gave me or I got online for example: my second quote is for $119.00 with 5 payments of $99.00. Then they have third quote for car insurance $207.00 and 2 down payments of $187.00. The fourth quote for $296.00 and 1 payment of $275.00 and the last quote for car insurance I received was $536.00. These was quotes were from 1514913070.

I hope you can tell customers to boycott this business, and not allow them to receive any other vulnerable customers that will not do their homework and waste all their money on this car insurance company. This company, discriminated against me, due to my age as well as violating my rights to get quality, good and equal as well as affordable car insurance for my 2003 Acura 3.2 TL. I did not spend any money for this insurance, since I knew the lady was definitely trying to scam me out of my money or trying to see how much money she could get out of me today on January 29, 2017. I do not have a receipt, because I did not spend any money. I told the lady that I needed her name, but she did not want to give me her name. I told her I would call the insurance commissioner and report her and she just hung up the telephone on me.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information