Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
1.44/5
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratings

Safe Auto Insurance

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. Safe Auto is not an InsuraMatch partner. Contact InsuraMatch to get several insurance quotes from different providers and find the right carrier for your situation. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

116 Safe Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Have been trying to reach adjuster for 5 days. When I call it places you on hold then voicemail. I’ve called at least a dozen times and left half a dozen voicemails. Even visited their social media sites and was told I would be “contacted shortly”, but that has not happened either. I have never experienced this with any of my other insurance providers. I would NOT recommend SA to ANYONE. I’d rather pay a higher premium than to get such poor service!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safe Auto Insurance is an insurance company that I pay money to for really no reason 99.9% of the time. I just pay my bill every month. I don't like how they will up my rate at times without letting me know why. Also, their website was recently changed and it is a pain to use now.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Safe Auto is a fraud. I did an online quote for an SR22 and after checking two other companies I decided to go with Safe Auto. When I called back less than 1 week later with the quote number they gave me the quote mysteriously went up. After complaining I was told that they didn't have my vin number to which I stated to then that I could not have proceeded without it. Then there was the excuse of my social security number, I don't have not have I had in almost 10 years any fines or tickets and I stated on the app that I didn't have good credit but I was working.

Their next excuse was that I must've checked the box that says homeowner accidentally because when they checked it they came up with the exact same quote I told them that they quoted me. To which I then asked him "well how do you know I'm not"? Implying that his excuse was bogus because evidently they changed it to nonhomeowner themselves then without even knowing (I hadn't talked back to them to confirm this) if this was true then changed the quote on the fly.

Then there's the fact that they never ever ever ever asked for any proof of homeownership to begin with, either online or on the phone. Bottom line is Safe Auto is not truthful, they are not to be trusted. Before wasting your time with this fraud of a company my advice is take your business elsewhere. Even though the quote they gave me after the fact was still amongst the lowest I'm taking my business elsewhere. I'd rather pay more to a company I trust than to go the cheaper route and deal with these liars!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Safe Auto Insurance company is an online insurance company. I do not think the company has any in person offices. They are cheaper than the alternatives, at least in my area. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I had an accident while I was with them that was handle promptly. I would recommend them to anyone that wants to save money.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I tried to make a payment with 2 cards and they told me I could but I had to make it at the same time. Due to the situation I was in, I couldn’t. The guy said I could 3 way call the other person that would be paying the rest. While calling intl that was going to be a problem. They did nothing to help. On top of this, this wasn’t the first time they had made things difficult for me. I’m cancelling my policy. This company is trash.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

After I canceled my policy Safe Auto took 10% of 6 months' premium. I have never heard of anything like this before. My advice keep yourself away from these cheat people. The customer service is terrible.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I always make my payments the second I get my paycheck, because of this I know I have no way to miss a payment. That being said, I went to go pay my bill for July, and instead of paying with my debit card and getting charged the $3.95 fee, I went ahead and paid using my checking account or so I thought. I put in my information correctly, and went along with my day. Sometime after, I got a letter saying my insurance was going to be cancelled if I did not pay by 8/13/18. I was confused because I paid a couple weeks prior.

Now, I paid off my insurance for August BEFORE the due date. I even paid half of it for September. I've checked my account probably twice a week and I've had no updates about how much I owe for next month. But I just checked it a couple hours ago and I OWE FOR AUGUST 9th!!! I am JUST getting an update THREE WEEKS LATE! I am going to start looking for a new insurance company because this is crazy!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Worst service I have EVER experienced! I had a policy with them for 8 hours! I repeat, ONLY 8 HOURS before realizing my policy did not include full coverage (which I need for a financed car). I spoke to a representative by the name of Luis & he told me I COULDN'T CANCEL MY POLICY!!! Told me to wait 24 hrs for a confirmation or a call back! (Later found out, THEY DONT EVEN MAKE OUTBOUND CALLS) Wtf!!! So I took his word for it & called EXACTLY 24 hours later!

9 am the next morning I spoke with a lady that was VERY apologetic & was also very confused on why the guy didnt just cancel my policy the previous day! Soo now the $244 I paid I was told I wouldn’t get the full amount back because of “fees” AND because it was a day later even though I CALLED 8 HOURS AFTER AND SHE COULD SEE IN MY NOTES THAT I CALLED 8 HOURS AFTER MY ACTIVATION!!! So I would only receive $189 after “fees”... I didn't care anymore. I just wanted my money back!!! She said it would take about a week...

Fast forward to today, August 16, 2018 (a week later) I call to check the status of my refund... well I was informed that they were sending me a check!!! I paid with a debit card & was NEVERRR informed that I would instead receive a check or confirmation that the address provided would be suitable to send a check to, my point is they sent the check WITHOUT an apartment number leaving me having to call them a FOURTH time.

They tell me I can either wait 60 DAYS to get a new check or they can void the check for ANOTHER 26$ “fee” and send me a new check. I am now waiting to get a $163 check from $244 I paid for a 8 HOURS policy! I am MORE than disappointed in these people & HIGHLY upset with the first guy I talked to, I AM going to send this complaint to every single department I can! This could of all been avoided if he just canceled me when I called!!! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SERVICE, ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!

Original review: July 17, 2018

Safe Auto has very deceptive business practices... I've been with them for several years but not without challenges... I had to file a complaint because I'd rec'd my monthly billing statement 3 days before it was due, ensuring Safe Auto could charge me a late fee. Then I'd pay my premiums for the 6 month period and would have to contact customer service to have a supervisor deduct the $10.00 surcharge, i.e. ($241.00-$10.00=$231.00) but I couldn't pay just the $231.00 online though both options were clearly visible.

I filed a complaint and argued the lower price was the incentive for paying 6 months only to be told the $10.00 was given as a courtesy and would no longer be given... Recently I contacted Safe Auto to close my account because I no longer have the car. Customer Service said there was a $25.00 cancellation fee but I'd only have to pay $5.00 because I had a 20.00 credit on my account and gave me the mailing address. Sent the check but rec'd a notice in the mail stating the $5.00 couldn't be credited to my account because the account was now closed and instructed to reinstate my policy for the amount to be credited or the amount would be sent back and fees would be assessed for Safe Auto having to mail it back to me... I had no knowledge of any $20.00 on my account nor did Safe Auto inform me of such... The accumulation of the undisclosed $10.00 could go on indefinitely not to mention how many consumers this is happening to...

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am not even a member of Safe Auto and will never be based on my experience with a claim. A Safe Auto insured driver rear ended me and I put in a claim. I had to do the job of the adjuster and take my own pictures and videos to send them through a Safe Auto app so they could do an "estimate". They did the estimate and sent me a check and promised me a rental car while my car was being repaired. I ended up having to pay 4 days for a rental car because they did not want to pay for a whole week that I was without my car. I go through Travelers insurance and also went through State Farm and Progressive before and I never had to deal with such crappy customer care with any of them as I had to with Safe Auto. This is the worst insurance company I ever had to deal with and the accident was their client's fault.

Original review: June 26, 2018

They only got 1 star because I couldn't do zero stars. UUUGGGHHH! I started a policy on 06/19/18 and paid $235, I cancelled the policy on 06/23/18, I was informed that I was not getting a refund and that I have a balance on the account of $190 because I self cancelled before the intended cancellation date they can charge me 10% of the 6 month premium. Which if I do not pay they will send to collections. I feel like they trick people out of their hard earned money and can get away with it. I have never had an insurance company that keeps our money if you cancel a policy that you clearly do not need.

My faith in people diminishes every day because you have companies like this that can just scam people and it's legal. They can hide behind a statement in their policy booklet that states they can charges you 10% of your 6 month premium and there is NOTHING the customer can do about it. They can take your money and say ** YOU!!! I am filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I had to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency surgery and will be out of work for a few weeks. I called to see if they could waive this month's payment as I have been a customer for quite some time. I was told no. Then my policy rates went up to no reasoning other than I suppose they felt that Ohio was getting too good a deal. Tack on top of the highly annoying harassment mail they start pumping out the first of the month and phone calls, they charge you $3.95 to pay your bill online. This company is complete crap when it comes to looking out for their customers. Every one of my other monthly bills I am responsible for were more than willing to help me out in this time of need except for them, and their supervisors aren’t good for any answers to any questions you have. Pretty much, they suck and I’ll be shopping for a new provider ASAP. I can’t be the only person who has fallen on a hard time that they could give a damn about.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It was rather simple to get an insurance policy through Safe Auto! I was so very happy to have found this. The price is the cheapest that I could find in calling around & comparing prices. Some prices that other companies are asking for are completely absurd! I will never try to get a policy with any other agency! But I hate that my insurance company mails my payment so early & it always says my payment is due way before it is actually due. They also call a gazillion times to remind you of your darn bill!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have always used Safe Auto. They have always been cheaper and met my needs for the most part. The people who work at Safe Auto are very kind and always respectful. If they didn't know the answer to my question they made sure they went ahead and asked someone else who would know the answer. They were always very helpful when I needed them to assist me. When I had gotten into an accident, I have received several calls to check on me over a few weeks of time after the accident. However, they only offer full coverage insurance on vehicles that are of newer age. I can't afford brand new vehicles and when I purchased my truck it was a 2001 and they didn't have full coverage available for me and my vehicle. Other than that I absolutely love the company. I would most definitely refer any family or friends even strangers to Safe Auto.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I was a good paying, happy customer of 5 years. This until I was injured in a not at fault accident. I’m unable to get the recommended treatment because of not having the money as I fight Safe Auto. They don’t give a damn about their customers. At times when your insurance company should be there they are everything but that!!! Then they have the audacity to try to raise my rates...

Original review: April 17, 2018

I never had Safe Auto, but I work in a car dealership for a Buy Here Pay Here and Safe Auto doesn't want to pay out to the bank if the car is totaled. We as the dealership would have to call many times thru the week to get any results. Do yourself a favor do not get Safe Auto. Pay a little more for someone else, we now let our customers know they cannot use Safe Auto for Full Coverage cause of their BS, when you're looking for Insurance view for the reviews and discounts that is the best way to shop for Auto Insurance.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I called Safe Auto 11/2017 about having a vehicle removed. Come 2/2018 I was wondering why I was still paying the full amount for one Vehicle. I was told they show no record of me requesting to have my vehicle removed. So I ask if they could remove and make a payment. 4 days later they still did not remove my vehicle and they did not take my payment out.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Was charged my first month then they more than doubled the premium and said if I didn't pay the increased premium I would not have coverage until I paid the higher premium. When I said I wanted to cancel and return my initial payment. They would not return my full amount, deducting fees, etc. The best though was that they would mail me a check! They instantly took my money but they want me to wait to give me my money back. Absolutely absurd! I would give them 0 stars but I was forced to leave at least one!!!

Original review: March 29, 2018

When I requested a quote from Safe Auto for auto insurance for my son, I listed an accident and a failure to yield citation on their form. The quote came back for $348 monthly premium. I signed up and paid the $348. The next day I received an e-mail stating that I owed $544 more. I called to cancel and was told to cancel it would cost me $348 plus $114 more just to cancel the policy I had for 2 days.

When I asked why the premium had changed from the first quote, I was told because of the "failure to yield" citation came back from the DMV. I told her I listed it for the quote I was given. IT DID NOT MATTER!! She also stated that in Georgia, they are allowed to keep 90% of the premium to cancel a new policy which equals to $462. First, they quote $348, then bill for $544 more, and require $114 more to cancel. THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN. They didn't do this to only me because there are 100s of bad reviews out there about them doing the same thing. DON'T EVER USE SAFE AUTO or you will be sorry.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Yes, I realized it could go up from the quote when you're pricing new insurance but DOUBLE!?!? And then when you cancel within 26 hours because you really can get better/cheaper insurance, you're charged $25 cancellation AND a $40 application fee... LOL... WTH!!! If I could give them zero stars I would... How this came to light. I paid them $135 to start the insurance at 7AM. The next morning at 7AM I received a bill due in 10 days for $213!! So I called them and cancelled at 9AM.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I switched from Progressive to Safe Auto on December 11, 2017. About Dec. 26 I received a threatening letter in the mail that my insurance would be cancelled if payment was not received by Jan. 11 2018. In two days I received a text about such payment, then another letter, another email, etc. By Jan. 11, 2018 I was a nervous wreck, from fifteen days of harassment, I called to pay my bill and was charged 3.95. Wow I thought, then here comes Feb. and the harassment starts again. I paid my bill on Feb. 9 2018 and set up auto payments. On Feb. 26, 2018 they charged me another 117 bucks.

To make a long story short this company claims to generate your bill cost 10 bucks, yet they have no problem harassing their clients to death. This company not only charged a 10 installment fee but also 3.95 to process a payment. That is a yearly total of 147.40 to generate a bill and process a payment. Once again, they have no problem starting the harassment 15 days before your bill is due, but they charge 13.95 extra a month to pay it. What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My vehicle was stolen 12/20/17; as of 2/20/18 my theft claim with Safe Auto is still "under review". We provided everything they requested including handing them over the ID of the thief we found in the vehicle. They have been stalling us and each week requesting additional information that could have been provided in the beginning. Each additional item they request comes with a 7 day turnaround time, so as of today they said they need another 7 days. The adjuster has been indignant to the inconvenience we have experienced.

We are seeking an attorney to help resolve this further and for compensation as we have still been paying our car payment and insurance premium. As a family, we have lost out on priceless family events because we have no vehicle and the car rental coverage we paid for is a joke, because for a theft we only have $10 a day coverage. We would have had better compensation had we been involved in a wreck versus being the victim of a crime. Oh yeah, my wifes job requires me to have a federal background check and license and they are investigating us as if I am the car thief.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Paid $78 Bill on 5th. Cancelled on the 12th because I got better insurance for a cheaper price. Asked for a refund, they charged me $25 to cancel and they are only giving me a $3.00 refund! Safe Auto is the worst insurance company out there! Overcharge people for minimum coverage, send cancellation notice 3 days after they mail you a bill. Then don't refund your money when you cancel just a week later! Safe Auto sucks... Use anyone else but these people! Oh and they charge you an extra $3.95 to pay your bill online or on the phone! That's addition to the $10 fee per month they charge you to even pay your bill monthly! They suck in so many ways. Read all reviews about Safe Auto before you even think about using these butt heads!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Safe Auto is the worst car insurance company ever. Don't even waste your time or money on them because all they will do is give you a hard time, give you a big headache and waste your time... Unless of course you have no life and you have all the time in the whole to devote your life to calling them and trying to fix your policy and your bill that would randomly go up for no reason. Not send you proof of insurance until you called 4 times asking for them to send it. Never sending you paperwork you're supposed to sign. OMG I can't believe how horrible the experience I've had with them. I'm so done with them and I would advise for no one to ever waste your time or money with them. They are really not that much cheaper than other insurance companies. Maybe $5 a month you would save for having them which is not worth the bs you will go through with them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was hit by a Safe Auto insured driver who was cutting through a parking lot, came around a corner & slammed into my car which was driving straight on a side road. Safe Auto says they're not liable. So if you have Safe Auto you can make a left directly into oncoming traffic & don't worry. You're not liable. Guess everyone should be off the road when you're coming if you're insured with Safe Auto. Scam insurance company for sure!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Safe Auto Insurance agent guaranteed me that my monthly bill would be $81 and so I agreed to have them as my car insurer. 9/2/2017 well my next bill was $133 Which I did not pay and they cut my car insurance days short of a month 10/27/2017 that I had paid for and which me and the car insurance agent agreed on. THEN I get a letter from Safe Auto Insurance saying that I owe $35. What nerve! Cons!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Upon purchasing a new policy yesterday, Safe Auto claims it will take up to 72 hours for them to 'electronically file' my SR-22 with the BMV. Up to 72 hours to send an email??? They had no problem taking my money electronically. THAT was immediate! They won't email the insurance card to me. They won't fax it to me. They won't allow me to come in and pick it up. Now, I have to drive illegally for 2 more days, because they won't give me what I paid for. The only reason I gave them a 2 star rating is because they are the most inexpensive company around. But if you're trying to get your license back? Don't go with these guys. Go with a small company out of the Yellow Pages. You can walk in the office and get the paperwork that you paid for immediately.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We bought our 2012 Ford Fiesta from a dealership so obviously we had to have full coverage insurance. The price difference was only ten bucks from our previous insurer, so we decided to go with Safe Auto. Fast forward five months and our car was hit by a runaway tire on the freeway. Don't know whose it was or where it came from. Called the insurance company right away and went through the runaround to find out how much they'd pay after us paying the deductible. They sent an estimate of around 3 grand in damages, a week later sent a check for a little over 1,700. Our deductible was 500, but the shop was one of those that pay your deductible if the damages exceed so much. Our insurance came to an end October 1st, so we switched to Geico because it was over a hundred dollars cheaper for full coverage.

We finally were able to get the car into the shop Monday this week, it's now Wednesday and the shop discovered another 3 grand worth of damages, called the insurance company to keep them updated and presumably for the money to fix the parts. They called us an hour later saying they're now considering the car "totaled". Which is BS because the car still drives absolutely fine, it's just cosmetic damages, a tire replacement, and a few other things that would still relate to cosmetic issues. I should note that every time we called to talk to a representative, it was as if nobody on the other line even heard of a car before. It was almost like they had never done their job before in all honesty. Safe Auto workers are equivalent T Mobile workers. Definitely would not even recommend to my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

One month in and already the worst car insurance company I have ever dealt with. Never before have I seen a company with so many white lies and sneakiness to get money out of you. I have had one policy for exactly 30 days as of writing this, they have charged me 2 times and are now asking for a third that is over twice as much!

When asking why, I am informed none of the due dates they send out are not accurate (in fact, they are stated as 2 weeks before the actual due date in every price of paperwork they have sent me). So, I paid 1 payment and another unknowingly early, I should have 2 months of coverage? I somehow am only covered for 1 and 1 week, and they are asking for over twice as much for unsigned paperwork they never sent out. Unsure how that math works out, and apparently the customer service reps are unsure as well but don't care enough to help. Please, if you need cheap and good insurance, go elsewhere.

Original review: July 24, 2017

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017, Safe Auto went to my online checking Account and deducted unauthorized $292.00 for car insurance which they already received on July 14, 2017. I called Safe Auto and explained to them that they have gone to my Checking account and deducted this money which was unauthorized. The Customer Service representative told me that they would refund my money back to me. I told them that was my Car payment for the month of July that they took, and that my vehicle would be repossessed, but to no avail from them. Later, I was told to send my bank statement even though they are seeing that they have this unauthorized money there. However, I did email it highlighting Safe Auto on my bank statement and covering up the other places that I do business with.

Subsequently, I was told to fax a second copy of my bank statement to their Accounting Department, but I told the young lady that I do not have a fax machine, but she was insisting that I must get one. Then came back and told that she would send it over to their accounting department via email. Later, she gets back to me stating that the Accounting Department wants to see all the items that I do business with on my bank statement of which I refused because I am not taking a loan from Safe Auto, but that Safe Auto went to my checking account and took unauthorized money off of my bank account.

Later, I called back on Friday and was met with two unprofessional staff members in the Customer Service department and Claims department as they were transferring me back and forth plus had me holding for a long time then cut-off the phone from one person to another arguing that they do not understand me, even though I am speaking the English language which is the universal language in the US and the world at large.

I then called the number to cancel the car insurance, and a refund of all my monies, but Marsha promised to help me by sending an email to the Accounting department to refund me my monies. Today I called to follow-up, and was not able to get any word on my refund and when I would get my monies back from Safe Auto. But was told again to send proof that they took my money out of my account, and they are seeing that they withdrew unauthorized monies from my checking Account twice. This representative said he cannot help me further.

Now I need to emphasize that I am not applying for a loan from Safe Auto to be up in my business, for me to send my bank statement to them. Also, I did not authorize them to draft my checking account twice. It was a one-time transaction and to add that my car insurance supposed to be $166.00 per month. While in the meantime my car is being repossessed, and without my car, I cannot pay them for car insurance. As of today, there is no positive word on my monies from Safe Auto, and I am on the verge of canceling my car insurance with them.

I need my monies back urgently at the same time frustrated with Safe Auto Insurance Company. Also, I would like to advise consumer to do not allow Safe Auto to withdraw money off of your Bank Account because they will take off unauthorized money from your checking account, and you will receive hell from them to get your monies back. I will also report this matter to the Better Business Bureau and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau because Safe Auto is causing me a lot of distress and expense. This is not right for business.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information