2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. Safe Auto is not an InsuraMatch partner. Contact InsuraMatch to get several insurance quotes from different providers and find the right carrier for your situation. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Auto Insurance is an Ohio-based and independently owned company serving 16 states. It provides minimum limit insurance, non-standard coverage and comprehensive options directly to consumers. Positive customer reviews appreciate the range of options and say they are likely to renew their policy.

PROS

• Liability, collision and comprehensive coverages
  • New business transfer discount
  • 24/7 customer service
  • Home owner discount
  • SR-22 option

CONS

• No online claims
  • Limited to 16 states
  • Low down payment and affordable monthly installments

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Safe Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 16, 2020

Please never buy insurance from this company. They lie to you about what you're going to pay. My monthly payments were 154.00 then 2 weeks later they said I had to pay another 154.00 so I paid that. Then two weeks later they sent a bill and said I owed 324.00 dollars. They said I didn't fill out my paperwork which I did 3 times and they said they didnt receive it. Mind you I did it 3 times. They are out to steal people money. I'm warning you DONT BUY THIS INSURANCE.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I was forced to rate the 1 star, needs an option that allows no stars. I called to request a payment extension on my May bill until my next pay on 6/11 due to my job being impacted by Covid19, & Nola told me there is no extension nor a grace period offered & my policy cancelled on 5/14 the day my bill was to be paid. HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! Shame on Safe Auto & if that's their version of customer service, no thanks????

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Safe Auto has twice now added additional charges without notice to an auto insurance policy after a quote for not receiving forms. These forms were never sent nor were we ever made aware that the forms were required. Even after contacting customer service I could never find out what forms were missing!!! As the title states Shame on me!!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I had gotten into a fender bender and called Safe Auto (my insurance company) to make a claim. The adjuster sent a field adjuster out to do a visual appearance, he came and printed estimate and left. The adjuster had later called me and said that they were going to have their Tow company that they work with "Copart" come pick up my car to see if it is considered a total loss. I was kind of confused but said ok and they came the next day. I didn't hear anything back for almost a week. I had gotten a response via email January 30th from the adjuster saying she was not aware there was already a estimate they put together, and asked for the body shop's info that was going to work on my car. I then replied with the information and she said Copart was going to tow my car back to that body shop in 2 to 3 days.

I waited the 3 days and called the body shop and asked how the car was coming along. The owner then stated that the Copart company had brought my car back from a salvage auction yard, and the car had then been stripped of car parts. It is missing a battery, my side mirrors, gear shifter, spare tire, bumper was ripped off and put into back seat of my car damaging my interior. The floor board is all dented in and damaged. The spare tire and jack is missing as well. The body shop has video of the tow truck bringing in the car from Copart, and the mirrors are clearly missing in the video and bumper. I called insurance company immediately to tell them my car is demolished and they said, "We are not responsible!" Ummm excuse me? You had your affiliate tow company com pick up my vehicle and they brought it back stripped of parts?!

Mind you my car is a 2019, I have only had it 6 months, and purchased it with 35 miles on the speedometer. Copart was then called and they deny to the fullest and said it's not their fault!? I have been treated so badly by both companies! Help! My car went from having 3700.00 in damage to over 10 thousand dollars!!!! It's demolished!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I was deceived and misquoted auto insurance premiums when I was told that my monthly premiums would be set at $118 and when I tried to make my payment it was way more than the quoted price. On top of that, I wasn't informed that I had to make a payment two weeks after my down payment of $108. They wanted $156 thereafter. So this company is defrauding consumers big time. I contacted the BBB and when Safe Auto was contacted by BBB, Safe Auto then emailed me to go back to the original premium quote for $118. After I settled the case with BBB, Safe Auto went BACK to trying to hit me up for the $156. This is bad business practices and consumers needs to be warned.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

After going through their online Insurance Quote process, it said, make 2 payments, by paying $170, they did NOT disclose that $50 of that $170 payment was a nonrefundable PROCESSING FEE. I was thereby tricked into buying their insurance coverage when I could have simply paid much less with Progressive Insurance. I searched for reviews of this company. Ran into THOUSANDS of 1-star reviews with complaints of dishonesty, trickery, sudden rate hikes, just to make a few...

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I called 5 ins co's & all were high but Safe Auto was the cheapest, or so I thought. They gave me a discount for being a home owner. At that time I paid the quoted 6 month premium in full. I mailed & faxed them my proof of home ownership. They kept sending me a bill every month. I would call, & have to spend an hour on the phone arguing with them about already submitting the info, but they would say they didn't receive it. Finally I demanded to speak with the supervisor who after being on hold 45 minutes tells me they did in fact receive my home proof the 1st time!! But then tells me it's been denied! Wth, then on hold again for him to come back & tell me they finally accepted it but now I still owe for a prior ins discount, that (I most certainly never received).

Then they cancelled my insurance policy in the 5th month when I clearly paid for a 6 month premium. Moral of this story is that these people have no morals, no couth or ethics or respect for anything but free money & will lie cheat & steal from you without remorse. Why isn't anyone putting their foot in these people's rear ends? Avoid the headaches, you've been warned.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

A representative from the claims' department was rude to me. Another driver was held liable for causing the damage to my vehicle. Myself and the other driver has SafeAuto (car insurance company). The claim was submitted through the woman's insurance, but was denied due to the woman not having a current license at the time of the accident. The woman claimed that she did not have the spare time to renew her license. The rep from SafeAuto told me that I would have to contact my insurance company to start the claim since it's being denied on the woman's end. The crazy thing about it is.... I have SafeAuto as well. I would've thought that he would've done his research first. He was so dismissive with me.

I just feel defeated at this point. I'm not satisfied. Lastly, I have started coverage with this company on 09/05/2019. I was issued a notice of cancellation on 09/23/2019 due to nonpayment of premium. This is sooo wrong on many levels. My bill should have been due monthly as I was told. What is the grace period for the payment from the date of the bill? I have checked online and it said that there's a 30 day grace period. However, I have called their customer service line and was told that there is no grace period. The representative also told me that the wording on the Notice of Cancellation document is "kind of funky". I'm glad that he realized that this company is doing some fishy things. This is misleading. For car insurance, you're usually sent a 10-day notice of cancellation a few days after your premium due date. In this case, I have received a notice of cancellation prior to the bill's due date.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

The Safe Auto driver ran a stop sign and plowed into our Suburban, causing significant damage as well as injury to a young child passenger who was transported to the hospital by EMS. Accident report was completed with the Safe Auto driver being clearly listed as the at fault driver. Contact was made with Safe Auto the following day. Safe Auto did authorize a rental vehicle but would nothing further in regards to damage to our vehicle. Safe Auto's adjustor finally made contact and said they decided that we (the victims!) were 10% at fault because their driver SAID she thought we must have been speeding otherwise we should have been able to stop before she hit us. Yes, we were actually told that. So we had to get our insurance company to take over and make Safe Auto take responsibility.

We have State Farm< and they took care of everything< and Safe Auto no doubt ended up paying more than they would have if they had just been reasonable in the first place. Also, they tried to back up the date they had given us on the rental car to scam us. The rental Agency called and told us they had manipulated the date of return without informing anyone and that they weren't going to hold us financially responsible for what Safe Auto tried to do. What an absolute joke of a company!

The Safe Auto adjustor was a childish, rude BULLY and the fact that Safe Auto hires people like this to bully the victims in car accidents, when their insured people are blatantly at fault, is frightening and disgusting! We have told everyone we know about our experience so that they don't have to suffer the bullying and disrespect that was maliciously dealt to us by that extremely unprofessional adjustor. Safe Auto should be very ashamed, but everybody knows that the scummy insurance companies in the insurance world will do anything they can to avoid paying or pay far less than they should even when they are clearly responsible. Morals and ethics are clearly lacking in the Safe Auto company!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

One of SAFE Auto's clients hit my vehicle in a parking lot and left. After a week of waiting, their adjuster finally called me only after I left a voice mail on his supervisors voice mail. Now they are not releasing payment. If you are the victim of one of their clients, best thing to do is pay your deductible and let your insurance company do it. If I could give it negative stars, I would.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information