Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.43/5

Safe Auto Insurance

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. Safe Auto is not an InsuraMatch partner. Contact InsuraMatch to get several insurance quotes from different providers and find the right carrier for your situation. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Auto Insurance is an Ohio-based and independently owned company serving 16 states. It provides minimum limit insurance, non-standard coverage and comprehensive options directly to consumers. Positive customer reviews appreciate the range of options and say they are likely to renew their policy.

PROS

• Liability, collision and comprehensive coverages
  • New business transfer discount
  • 24/7 customer service
  • Home owner discount
  • SR-22 option

CONS

• No online claims
  • Limited to 16 states
  • Low down payment and affordable monthly installments

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

130 Safe Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

I needed SR-22 insurance. So I got online and researched who carried the insurance. The site said they carried it so I bought it. A few days later I made it to the DDS and was informed by them I did not have SR-22. After 5 phone calls to this company and over 5 hours at the DDS I found out Safe Auto CAN'T even sell SR-22 insurance in Georgia. So I contacted another company, bought the insurance from another company. I have contacted The Insurance Commissioner and am in the process of filing a complaint and hopefully suing this company. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING ANYONE TELLS YOU AT THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CROOKS COMMITTING FRAUD. I made this mistake, you don't have to.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I really didn't want to rate them but had to so they get a one star. I just recently purchased a policy through Safe Auto for them to send me a cancellation notice 9 days later. They tell me I needed to pay my premium which I paid to start my policy. So now they wanted to charge double what I paid for my premium. So in total I would've paid over $500. On top of that pay my monthly a couple weeks later which in total for the month will equal to over $800 again. Didn't have the policy that long. They sent me no notices of any changes. Definitely don't recommend this company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I've been a policy holder with Safe Auto for over a year now and my recent experience has been absolutely awful. About 2 weeks ago I was hit while sitting at a red light and the other person fled the scene, I filed my claim and the communication with my adjuster is anything but professional. They don't care about their policy holders. I've called numerous times to only get put on hold or the line gets disconnected. They ended up telling me the car would be a total loss and I'll hear from a total loss adjuster within 48 hours, well it's now been 12 days. I have special driving privileges and now I received a voicemail from them saying my license is invalid, which isn't the case but they're trying to get out of paying. They have major communication issues, and I'm highly disappointed with Safe Auto and the BS I'm dealing with just to file a claim and getting the issue resolved, After all this is why we have full coverage just in case something happens right?

Original review: July 9, 2019

For starters it’s bad enough that their own policyholders are taking the time to warn everyone else about how bad this company is. I’m someone who doesn’t have a policy with these people and have still endured the pain they put people through. On May 12, 2019 one of their policyholders pulled out in front of me at about 40mph and totaled my car. Safe auto has took it upon themselves to make this experience as painful as they can. They offered me a settlement of $5000 for the vehicle damage. Mind you my car was valued at around $8000. They gave me some bs lie that that state of PA only allows them to offer that much which I learned to accept I will be responsible for the remaining amount due on my vehicle loan. Once again, the car was totaled and this was not my fault.

Once I signed the document they sent me, they reached back out to me after to tell me that they were going to deduct my rental fee, after I had to Uber for two weeks because they couldn’t get their ** together and provide a rental sooner and they also told me they were going to take another $1600 for the copier fees. Now after the accident the people in the ambulance told me if I wouldn’t of been wearing a seat belt, I possibly would have been ejected or been injured even worse so I’m glad I was at least being responsible on my part.

Almost 2 months later safe auto is still keeping their title as the worst insurance company out there. Not to mention, everyone that emails me takes literally 5 days to respond so my advice to anyone reading this is, go with a company more reputable and if you’re going to be charged a ton of money like other policyholders are saying, take your hard earned money somewhere else and get the coverage you deserve.

Original review: July 4, 2019

They quote a low price online and once you purchase the policy they increase the policy dramatically. I purchased a auto policy for my husband and tried to add a additional vehicle to the policy. There was not a option so we email them and they added it week later after we purchase a separate policy for our other vehicle. We called to make a payment and they told us they had to cancel one of the policies and combined the policy. We was first told they would apply the credit for the cancel policy in 7 business days. Upon the 8th business day we was told they had to send us a check. We informed them they have given us 3 different refund policies. The cost of the plan increase from $72 on 6/10/19 to $250 as existing cost for 2 basic liability policies. And we still have not received our refund. These people are crooks. BEWARE!

I requesting an investigation to be launched on this company for they cost, practices and policies that changes over and over and over and they charge customers as they change their policies. They told us we have a balance due for $250 on a statement that was generated 7/2/2019 and the due date is June 23, 2019. There something wrong with this statement and this company. We are leaving them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 23, 2019

2 months into this policy I paid in full to avoid the additional $10.00 monthly fee. Then after a 0.00 bill next month, the following month I get a 12.00 bill. What for??? They charged me an additional 2 + 10 monthly fee because I am a renter. 5 months later WTF. Now I know $12 isn't much but I paid the bill in full to avoid additional monies. I am retired and on disability. I do not want additional fees. This is pure **. How come you're going to charge me something 5 months later after I started the policy and then paying it off!!! Now I'm shopping for new insurance. This insurance company is the worst.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Safe Auto has to be hands down the absolute worst for car insurance out there. Their agents are lazy boldfaced liars. They create stall tactics and fake cancellations to force you into paying these bogus inflated monthly payment increases. Our payments went from $191 first month 03/19 PAID ON THE FIRST, $195 second month 04/19 PAID ON THE FIRST, to $225 third 04/19, plus a $95 immediately (for not signing some bs form they never sent to us) in just two months. We received two forms (this month 04/19) out of nowhere with "second notice" on them both.... **. We check our mail AND emails daily and never received a form from them. Had we received them we would have signed them and sent them back no biggie. We call them and they're blowing smoke up our **. We tell them we're not paying and we'll just find another agency. All of a sudden they're willing to have the forms faxed over to them.

Couple days later we receive a "YOUR POLICY WILL BE CANCELLED 4/26/19." We call them YET AGAIN, would you believe they're telling us we're missing yet another form. Well why weren't we told there were other forms missing when we spoke with a "supervisor" regarding the previous form issue? So again I tell them I'm not paying $225 for next months payment plus a $95 fee for April on top of the $195 I already paid.. All because you idiots are having clerical issues and you don't know which policyholder is missing which form. All this form nonsense should have been done when we first signed up for the policy and made the initial payment. I'm not about to pay $500 plus dollars in two months because you idiots at Safe Auto dropped the ball and failed to do your jobs. How is that fair? All this for missing forms. I wasn't late on a payment hadn't missed a payment. Only had the policy for two months. I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't living it.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Safe Auto is the worst insurance company out there by far. I had been with them for 2 years with no accidents, and no tickets. Always paid on time every month. The one time I put in the wrong account by 1 number all hell breaks loose. They never contacted me to tell me the policy was going to cancel for non-payment. They cancel it on the 15th of the month. Them send me a letter. I call and ask why they didn't send a letter sooner, and they claim the bank rejected the payment a week after they cancelled the policy. So I had paid to reinstate the policy and then cancelled after these shenanigans, and cancel the payment I had made that morning, and they are trying to charge me a $175 Cancellation Fee. They are out of their minds. Good luck getting me to pay. Next step, Better Business Bureau. Safe Auto is a horrible company with horrible people and even worse practices.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was hit by another driver while I was parked. I called Safe Auto that same day, the other driver had already reported the accident. They told me the claim number and said that Aiden would be contacting me. I waited several days, unable to use my car, because the outside mirror was destroyed. The first couple of days I was not too concerned, as I was snowed in. I then called them back, because I never heard from Aiden. The woman who answered the phone told me Aiden would get back to me. I asked when, she didn't know. She then claimed that they hadn't called, because they had no contact information, which was not true.

She tried to get me to take some responsibility for the accident, asking where I was driving to when it occurred. I told her several times that I was parked, not moving. So, Aiden finally called me, six days after the accident. I told him I needed it handled immediately, as I needed a rental. He told me they would do it as soon as they managed. He sent me an app to take pictures of the damage, which I did, immediately, and emailed back to them. I had to call again, because I did not have a rental to drive. The guy who finally called me is now trying to claim that most of the damage had to have been prior damage.

I informed him that my car had just been in the body shop a month ago, because I hit a coyote and damaged the front end, and that the body shop would have knowledge of the fact that there was not prior damage, so he would have to be amending the estimate/payment as a result. I told him I did not want him to issue payment to me, because I would not be paying out of pocket for damage which was not my fault. Then he asked if I wanted him to MAIL me the estimate, without which I cannot get my claim handled. Why would I want to wait an additional week or more for my repairs? This is the absolute worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

When I initially got my policy, I was paying $186 a month for 6 months. When my 6 months was up, it raised to $206 a month. They said this was due to the taxes raising in my city. Okay, fine. It was still the cheapest insurance I could find. Then, when my insurance policy renewed another 6 months later, they raised it AGAIN by $28 a month. At this point, I have had no claims, no accidents and my insurance policy keeps RAISING. They couldn't provide me with a reason as to WHY it kept raising. I switched to Progressive where my insurance was over $100 cheaper than what I was paying with Safe Auto. They are a RIPOFF. Would not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I recently purchased auto insurance through Safe Auto. 24 hours later I receive an email stating my premium has increased by $31 and I will be receiving something in the mail with further details. One week later I receive a BILL “due” in 3 days for more than double the monthly payment I had been quoted and signed paperwork for. There is also a notice with the bill stating my premium has increased by $256. I’m given some story about how they operate on “two dates” and the first one isn’t actually my due date?? The second date is nowhere on my bill but THAT is the date I need to pay by to avoid cancellation. They claim that my accident a few years ago is why my premium increased. Except I gave them all of that information from day one so why couldn’t they tell me the accurate cost from the start!? Because they reel you in with a super cheap start up fee and then jack it up within a few days.

I will be canceling and already know I will have to deal with more rip off charges for doing so, even though the guy on the phone assured me if I cancel by a certain date I will not owe them anything more than what I’ve already paid. Regardless, they lost a customer in just seven days because they are dishonest and unprofessional. Every other company who gave me a quote was able to immediately include my driving history and give me an ACCURATE premium, so there’s no reason why Safe Auto isn’t able to do that. They do it on purpose and I refuse to do business with a company who operates that way. I was completely honest about my driving history realizing that an at fault accident would cause my premiums to be higher than normal. For them to go about it this way is completely unacceptable!! I am willing to pay a slightly higher premium through their competitor who was HONEST, ACCURATE and PROFESSIONAL from the start.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I contacted and purchased Auto Insurance from Safe Auto however I was able to get a better deal from their competitors. I called in to cancel 2 days later. I paid $181 for the policy, which was back in May 2018. I'm still waiting on my refund, however, I'm now being told it was sent to the DMV due to Safe Auto didn't have my address. Who sends a refund to the DMV, scammers that's who. Please don't use this insurance company, clearly, it is legal to steal from hard working people.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I don't have the issues with Safe Auto like I did my last insurance company shelter. I don't get runarounds, it's affordable for my insurance needs, and they are quick to taking care of what is asked from them by me when needed. Also friendly customer service. So far I've had nothing but positive experience. As of now I highly recommend. Hopefully that doesn't change. I've been with them a year now as of today.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was going to change to Safeco Insurance. However my husband decided he did not want to so I called and canceled 15 minutes later. 3 days later I see that money is pending to still be taken from my account and instead of it being put back I'm told a check is being mailed. TERRIBLE customer service. Very glad I did not go with this company!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Have been trying to reach adjuster for 5 days. When I call it places you on hold then voicemail. I’ve called at least a dozen times and left half a dozen voicemails. Even visited their social media sites and was told I would be “contacted shortly”, but that has not happened either. I have never experienced this with any of my other insurance providers. I would NOT recommend SA to ANYONE. I’d rather pay a higher premium than to get such poor service!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safe Auto Insurance is an insurance company that I pay money to for really no reason 99.9% of the time. I just pay my bill every month. I don't like how they will up my rate at times without letting me know why. Also, their website was recently changed and it is a pain to use now.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Safe Auto is a fraud. I did an online quote for an SR22 and after checking two other companies I decided to go with Safe Auto. When I called back less than 1 week later with the quote number they gave me the quote mysteriously went up. After complaining I was told that they didn't have my vin number to which I stated to then that I could not have proceeded without it. Then there was the excuse of my social security number, I don't have not have I had in almost 10 years any fines or tickets and I stated on the app that I didn't have good credit but I was working.

Their next excuse was that I must've checked the box that says homeowner accidentally because when they checked it they came up with the exact same quote I told them that they quoted me. To which I then asked him "well how do you know I'm not"? Implying that his excuse was bogus because evidently they changed it to nonhomeowner themselves then without even knowing (I hadn't talked back to them to confirm this) if this was true then changed the quote on the fly.

Then there's the fact that they never ever ever ever asked for any proof of homeownership to begin with, either online or on the phone. Bottom line is Safe Auto is not truthful, they are not to be trusted. Before wasting your time with this fraud of a company my advice is take your business elsewhere. Even though the quote they gave me after the fact was still amongst the lowest I'm taking my business elsewhere. I'd rather pay more to a company I trust than to go the cheaper route and deal with these liars!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Safe Auto Insurance company is an online insurance company. I do not think the company has any in person offices. They are cheaper than the alternatives, at least in my area. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I had an accident while I was with them that was handle promptly. I would recommend them to anyone that wants to save money.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I tried to make a payment with 2 cards and they told me I could but I had to make it at the same time. Due to the situation I was in, I couldn’t. The guy said I could 3 way call the other person that would be paying the rest. While calling intl that was going to be a problem. They did nothing to help. On top of this, this wasn’t the first time they had made things difficult for me. I’m cancelling my policy. This company is trash.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

After I canceled my policy Safe Auto took 10% of 6 months' premium. I have never heard of anything like this before. My advice keep yourself away from these cheat people. The customer service is terrible.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I always make my payments the second I get my paycheck, because of this I know I have no way to miss a payment. That being said, I went to go pay my bill for July, and instead of paying with my debit card and getting charged the $3.95 fee, I went ahead and paid using my checking account or so I thought. I put in my information correctly, and went along with my day. Sometime after, I got a letter saying my insurance was going to be cancelled if I did not pay by 8/13/18. I was confused because I paid a couple weeks prior.

Now, I paid off my insurance for August BEFORE the due date. I even paid half of it for September. I've checked my account probably twice a week and I've had no updates about how much I owe for next month. But I just checked it a couple hours ago and I OWE FOR AUGUST 9th!!! I am JUST getting an update THREE WEEKS LATE! I am going to start looking for a new insurance company because this is crazy!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Worst service I have EVER experienced! I had a policy with them for 8 hours! I repeat, ONLY 8 HOURS before realizing my policy did not include full coverage (which I need for a financed car). I spoke to a representative by the name of Luis & he told me I COULDN'T CANCEL MY POLICY!!! Told me to wait 24 hrs for a confirmation or a call back! (Later found out, THEY DONT EVEN MAKE OUTBOUND CALLS) Wtf!!! So I took his word for it & called EXACTLY 24 hours later!

9 am the next morning I spoke with a lady that was VERY apologetic & was also very confused on why the guy didnt just cancel my policy the previous day! Soo now the $244 I paid I was told I wouldn’t get the full amount back because of “fees” AND because it was a day later even though I CALLED 8 HOURS AFTER AND SHE COULD SEE IN MY NOTES THAT I CALLED 8 HOURS AFTER MY ACTIVATION!!! So I would only receive $189 after “fees”... I didn't care anymore. I just wanted my money back!!! She said it would take about a week...

Fast forward to today, August 16, 2018 (a week later) I call to check the status of my refund... well I was informed that they were sending me a check!!! I paid with a debit card & was NEVERRR informed that I would instead receive a check or confirmation that the address provided would be suitable to send a check to, my point is they sent the check WITHOUT an apartment number leaving me having to call them a FOURTH time.

They tell me I can either wait 60 DAYS to get a new check or they can void the check for ANOTHER 26$ “fee” and send me a new check. I am now waiting to get a $163 check from $244 I paid for a 8 HOURS policy! I am MORE than disappointed in these people & HIGHLY upset with the first guy I talked to, I AM going to send this complaint to every single department I can! This could of all been avoided if he just canceled me when I called!!! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SERVICE, ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!

Original review: July 17, 2018

Safe Auto has very deceptive business practices... I've been with them for several years but not without challenges... I had to file a complaint because I'd rec'd my monthly billing statement 3 days before it was due, ensuring Safe Auto could charge me a late fee. Then I'd pay my premiums for the 6 month period and would have to contact customer service to have a supervisor deduct the $10.00 surcharge, i.e. ($241.00-$10.00=$231.00) but I couldn't pay just the $231.00 online though both options were clearly visible.

I filed a complaint and argued the lower price was the incentive for paying 6 months only to be told the $10.00 was given as a courtesy and would no longer be given... Recently I contacted Safe Auto to close my account because I no longer have the car. Customer Service said there was a $25.00 cancellation fee but I'd only have to pay $5.00 because I had a 20.00 credit on my account and gave me the mailing address. Sent the check but rec'd a notice in the mail stating the $5.00 couldn't be credited to my account because the account was now closed and instructed to reinstate my policy for the amount to be credited or the amount would be sent back and fees would be assessed for Safe Auto having to mail it back to me... I had no knowledge of any $20.00 on my account nor did Safe Auto inform me of such... The accumulation of the undisclosed $10.00 could go on indefinitely not to mention how many consumers this is happening to...

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am not even a member of Safe Auto and will never be based on my experience with a claim. A Safe Auto insured driver rear ended me and I put in a claim. I had to do the job of the adjuster and take my own pictures and videos to send them through a Safe Auto app so they could do an "estimate". They did the estimate and sent me a check and promised me a rental car while my car was being repaired. I ended up having to pay 4 days for a rental car because they did not want to pay for a whole week that I was without my car. I go through Travelers insurance and also went through State Farm and Progressive before and I never had to deal with such crappy customer care with any of them as I had to with Safe Auto. This is the worst insurance company I ever had to deal with and the accident was their client's fault.

Original review: June 26, 2018

They only got 1 star because I couldn't do zero stars. UUUGGGHHH! I started a policy on 06/19/18 and paid $235, I cancelled the policy on 06/23/18, I was informed that I was not getting a refund and that I have a balance on the account of $190 because I self cancelled before the intended cancellation date they can charge me 10% of the 6 month premium. Which if I do not pay they will send to collections. I feel like they trick people out of their hard earned money and can get away with it. I have never had an insurance company that keeps our money if you cancel a policy that you clearly do not need.

My faith in people diminishes every day because you have companies like this that can just scam people and it's legal. They can hide behind a statement in their policy booklet that states they can charges you 10% of your 6 month premium and there is NOTHING the customer can do about it. They can take your money and say ** YOU!!! I am filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I had to be admitted to the hospital for an emergency surgery and will be out of work for a few weeks. I called to see if they could waive this month's payment as I have been a customer for quite some time. I was told no. Then my policy rates went up to no reasoning other than I suppose they felt that Ohio was getting too good a deal. Tack on top of the highly annoying harassment mail they start pumping out the first of the month and phone calls, they charge you $3.95 to pay your bill online. This company is complete crap when it comes to looking out for their customers. Every one of my other monthly bills I am responsible for were more than willing to help me out in this time of need except for them, and their supervisors aren’t good for any answers to any questions you have. Pretty much, they suck and I’ll be shopping for a new provider ASAP. I can’t be the only person who has fallen on a hard time that they could give a damn about.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It was rather simple to get an insurance policy through Safe Auto! I was so very happy to have found this. The price is the cheapest that I could find in calling around & comparing prices. Some prices that other companies are asking for are completely absurd! I will never try to get a policy with any other agency! But I hate that my insurance company mails my payment so early & it always says my payment is due way before it is actually due. They also call a gazillion times to remind you of your darn bill!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have always used Safe Auto. They have always been cheaper and met my needs for the most part. The people who work at Safe Auto are very kind and always respectful. If they didn't know the answer to my question they made sure they went ahead and asked someone else who would know the answer. They were always very helpful when I needed them to assist me. When I had gotten into an accident, I have received several calls to check on me over a few weeks of time after the accident. However, they only offer full coverage insurance on vehicles that are of newer age. I can't afford brand new vehicles and when I purchased my truck it was a 2001 and they didn't have full coverage available for me and my vehicle. Other than that I absolutely love the company. I would most definitely refer any family or friends even strangers to Safe Auto.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I was a good paying, happy customer of 5 years. This until I was injured in a not at fault accident. I’m unable to get the recommended treatment because of not having the money as I fight Safe Auto. They don’t give a damn about their customers. At times when your insurance company should be there they are everything but that!!! Then they have the audacity to try to raise my rates...

Original review: April 17, 2018

I never had Safe Auto, but I work in a car dealership for a Buy Here Pay Here and Safe Auto doesn't want to pay out to the bank if the car is totaled. We as the dealership would have to call many times thru the week to get any results. Do yourself a favor do not get Safe Auto. Pay a little more for someone else, we now let our customers know they cannot use Safe Auto for Full Coverage cause of their BS, when you're looking for Insurance view for the reviews and discounts that is the best way to shop for Auto Insurance.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information