2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.39/5

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients.

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Auto Insurance is an Ohio-based and independently owned company serving 16 states. It provides minimum limit insurance, non-standard coverage and comprehensive options directly to consumers. Positive customer reviews appreciate the range of options and say they are likely to renew their policy.

PROS

• Liability, collision and comprehensive coverages
  • New business transfer discount
  • 24/7 customer service
  • Home owner discount
  • SR-22 option

CONS

• No online claims
  • Limited to 16 states
  • Low down payment and affordable monthly installments

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Safe Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

An AllState insurer back into my car while I was stopped at a light. This was 7/24/20. I'm still waiting to be assisted with my claim. The claims rep Danielle said she was having a hard time filing for me, and told me to file myself online as a third party. This is very frustrating as I also had a hard time filing and feel this is what I pay Safe Auto for. Tomorrow is Oct 1 and still no claim has been filed so my car's body work can be fixed. I'm definitely changing car insurance. Stay far away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We were rear ended while driving our 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Van which we bought brand new and planned to keep for another 10 years. It had low mileage and was in pristine condition. The person who hit us was covered by Safe Auto. No one ever contacted us, we had to initiate contact. It took 2 weeks for anyone to look at our van and then they totaled it out. It has been 4 weeks now and we still have no compensation. We are senior citizens on a limited budget and we had to purchase another vehicle. We had to borrow the money to do so. Safe Auto will not pay us for stress involved or loss of our vehicle usage.

The van was worth so much more than they are willing to pay. We asked they just fix it and because of its age they refused. There was nothing wrong with the motor, inside, dash, etc. It is a crime that they total these vehicles out. Are our landfills so empty they need more vehicles? NOT. It could have been fixed and driven for another 10 years. Their adjuster never called us, we called him, only to be put on hold or wait for him to call us back. He promised to call us three times and never did. Who does business like this? I will NEVER recommend Safe Auto and I will be very verbal on social media and Facebook about their lack of quality service. NO ONE SHOULD PURCHASE INSURANCE FROM THEM.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I don’t have Safe Auto as my insurance THANK GOD!!! But the lady who hit me does. They were rude every time I spoke to someone. They didn’t get back to me in a timely fashion. They made my accident of less priority and basically put me on the back burner. They didn’t talk to the lady that hit me until almost two weeks later! I called and called and my case was never updated. Then they put me in the smallest car possible, a Ford Fiesta. I’m 5’9!!!! Why would they put me in a small car when my car is like medium size. My knees are in the dash board. My ankle hurts and my whole right leg hurts from driving. When I called to see if they can at least put me in a medium sized car as always I was on hold for an hour! Then the lady came on to tell me she had to ask her supervisor for an upgrade when it should’ve been a medium size anyway not small. She wanted to put me on hold AGAIN & I couldn’t because I had places to be.

This has been nothing but a headache for me from 7/13/20 until now 8/31/20. Today I just got to put my car in the shop and they gave me a small rental because that’s what safe auto told them. I'M TOO TALL FOR A SMALL!!!! I am in so much pain right now! I wouldn’t recommend ANYONE to have safe auto. Smart mouths! They have you on the phone on hold for an hour JUST TO GET ON & get smart with you. Mind you the accident wasn’t my fault!! And if your accident is “minor” you are not a priority to them in a timely fashion. I just called and they put me on hold for like 20 minutes just to disconnect my call. POOR PROFESSIONALISM!!!! Something needs to be done with this company. I am very disappointed & I will be contacting news outlets & anyone else that I can concerning this matter!!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I would recommend Safe Auto. I’ve been pretty satisfied with the services. I plan to continue use of Safe Auto insurance. I was able to get a discount after my first year with them and it was a awesome surprise.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Safe Auto is the WORST INSURANCE COMPANY ON THE PLANET. I signed up for them.... I forgot my password and when did the "forgot password.. never got the email to reset.. kept taking me to the login... I Called. I always get someone who can't speak English and don't know what his was doing.. He had an ATTITUDE... Then filed a claim that didn't pay the claim so I had to come out of pocket for $3000 plus rental. WORST COMPANY EVER!!!! Do yourself a favor. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH SAFE AUTO or you will be out of pocket a lot of money and NEVER Get the help you ask for!!

Original review: June 16, 2020

Please never buy insurance from this company. They lie to you about what you're going to pay. My monthly payments were 154.00 then 2 weeks later they said I had to pay another 154.00 so I paid that. Then two weeks later they sent a bill and said I owed 324.00 dollars. They said I didn't fill out my paperwork which I did 3 times and they said they didnt receive it. Mind you I did it 3 times. They are out to steal people money. I'm warning you DONT BUY THIS INSURANCE.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I was forced to rate the 1 star, needs an option that allows no stars. I called to request a payment extension on my May bill until my next pay on 6/11 due to my job being impacted by Covid19, & Nola told me there is no extension nor a grace period offered & my policy cancelled on 5/14 the day my bill was to be paid. HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! Shame on Safe Auto & if that's their version of customer service, no thanks????

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Safe Auto has twice now added additional charges without notice to an auto insurance policy after a quote for not receiving forms. These forms were never sent nor were we ever made aware that the forms were required. Even after contacting customer service I could never find out what forms were missing!!! As the title states Shame on me!!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I had gotten into a fender bender and called Safe Auto (my insurance company) to make a claim. The adjuster sent a field adjuster out to do a visual appearance, he came and printed estimate and left. The adjuster had later called me and said that they were going to have their Tow company that they work with "Copart" come pick up my car to see if it is considered a total loss. I was kind of confused but said ok and they came the next day. I didn't hear anything back for almost a week. I had gotten a response via email January 30th from the adjuster saying she was not aware there was already a estimate they put together, and asked for the body shop's info that was going to work on my car. I then replied with the information and she said Copart was going to tow my car back to that body shop in 2 to 3 days.

I waited the 3 days and called the body shop and asked how the car was coming along. The owner then stated that the Copart company had brought my car back from a salvage auction yard, and the car had then been stripped of car parts. It is missing a battery, my side mirrors, gear shifter, spare tire, bumper was ripped off and put into back seat of my car damaging my interior. The floor board is all dented in and damaged. The spare tire and jack is missing as well. The body shop has video of the tow truck bringing in the car from Copart, and the mirrors are clearly missing in the video and bumper. I called insurance company immediately to tell them my car is demolished and they said, "We are not responsible!" Ummm excuse me? You had your affiliate tow company com pick up my vehicle and they brought it back stripped of parts?!

Mind you my car is a 2019, I have only had it 6 months, and purchased it with 35 miles on the speedometer. Copart was then called and they deny to the fullest and said it's not their fault!? I have been treated so badly by both companies! Help! My car went from having 3700.00 in damage to over 10 thousand dollars!!!! It's demolished!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I was deceived and misquoted auto insurance premiums when I was told that my monthly premiums would be set at $118 and when I tried to make my payment it was way more than the quoted price. On top of that, I wasn't informed that I had to make a payment two weeks after my down payment of $108. They wanted $156 thereafter. So this company is defrauding consumers big time. I contacted the BBB and when Safe Auto was contacted by BBB, Safe Auto then emailed me to go back to the original premium quote for $118. After I settled the case with BBB, Safe Auto went BACK to trying to hit me up for the $156. This is bad business practices and consumers needs to be warned.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information