Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.4/5 (154 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About SafeAuto Insurance

SafeAuto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. It’s an Ohio-based company that’s independently owned and serves 28 states. It directly provides policyholders minimum-limit insurance, nonstandard coverage and comprehensive options. It offers payment plans and a mobile app for policy management.

Pros

• Affordable plans
  • Three payment options
  • App accessibility
  • Nonstandard policies

Cons

• Can be expensive
  • Mixed reviews
  • Available in only 28 states

Bottom Line

SafeAuto offers flexible nonstandard and comprehensive auto coverage policies. While it has mixed reviews and is available in just 28 states, its affordability and coverage might be ideal for some — especially high-risk drivers.

Top SafeAuto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Safe Auto is the best insurance company I have found so far because they pay their claims in a very timely manner, and if I have any problems they have a 1-800 number so I can spe...

Verified

I've had Safe Auto for over 5 yrs now and never had any problems with them. Their customer service is excellent. Their claims dept is fast and efficient if you ever need to file a...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is SafeAuto?

SafeAuto is an insurance company that provides affordable state-minimum auto coverage in 28 states. Though it specializes in auto insurance, it does offer more than 10 other types of coverage, including homeowners and dental insurance. As a nonstandard provider, SafeAuto offers products for drivers who don’t usually qualify for affordable rates, e.g., those with DUIs or bad credit.

How does SafeAuto work?

With SafeAuto, you can choose from its many products to find a fast and affordable quote. Most SafeAuto policies are designed to meet state minimums, which makes its prices lower, but you can also add additional coverage to suit your needs. Simply fill out the online form with your information and vehicle coverage needs, then you’ll receive customized quotes with flexible payment options. From there, you can choose to enroll immediately online or call for more information.

SafeAuto quotes and costs

With three payment plan options, SafeAuto lets you customize the way you pay to make its coverage more affordable and budget-friendly. The cost of a SateAuto car insurance policy depends on factors like your credit score, location, coverage type and more. For example, a quote for a male driver in Kansas City with a good record and credit score comes to $359 for six months (for a 2004 Chevy Malibu).

SafeAuto FAQ

Who owns SafeAuto?
Ron Davies is the company's president and CEO.
Does SafeAuto have roadside assistance?
Yes, and it’s free. SafeAuto’s roadside assistance program offers towing, jump-starts, tire changes, gas and fluid delivery, lockout services and winching.
Is SafeAuto a standard insurance company?
No. SafeAuto specializes in nonstandard auto insurance for individuals who have a hard time qualifying for standard policies elsewhere.
Does SafeAuto have homeowners insurance?
SafeAuto doesn’t underwrite or fulfill homeowners insurance policies, but it does partner with Hippo to provide home protection.

Is SafeAuto good insurance?

SafeAuto specializes in nonstandard coverage, making it a good option for those who have a hard time qualifying for affordable coverage elsewhere. Because of this focus, its costs are sometimes a bit higher than state or national averages — and it's available only to residents in 28 states. Overall, though, SafeAuto’s flexible payment plans, app connectivity and easy-to-use platform make it a good option for those with low credit and tight budgets.

SafeAuto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SafeAuto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I will not recommend SafeAuto to ANYBODY. They really surprised me about my tow. I paid $92 for tow safe auto only wants to pay $40. I still haven't received any money. I'm waiting for my refund for the cancelation refund.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I would give this crooked low down company a zero star. I accepted a quote with them and just as I went to finalize it. I received a better offer from a competitor. It was less than 30mins and the charged me $50 to cancel a policy that I didn't even fill out the paperwork for. I'm wish I could sue.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Called SafeAuto Insurance for a quotes. Gave them accurate driving history and was quoted $90 down and $79 a month for state minimum and SR-22. After the $90 down has cleared my account. I received an email stating that I owe another $169 in a few days 8/3/21. At this point I have only had them for a few days. I called and canceled, right away. Found another insurance companies and had a policy through that company Aug 6 2021.

I spoken with 2 different women after canceling and was told that I wasn't covered by safe auto from the date I canceled. I was also told that I'd be refunded $45 of the $90 I paid down and used for only a couple days. I received a bill from them for $45 instead and I was shocked. They claim that I was still insured through Aug 14th 2021, however I already had a new policy elsewhere and was told that I was getting a refund. Essentially I paid $90 for a couple days of "insurance" and now they want another $45. $135 total for 2 or 3 days of insurance I never used. What a scam.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Safe Auto stinks. They give you a "quote" and then add an additional fee AFTER you have chosen to accept the quote. But if you CANCEL after accepting the quote, you still have to pay additional fees (because they ran your reports, etc... Well doesn't EVERY SINGLE INSURANCE COMPANY run your reports before quoting you?). And THEN, at the end of the policy period, they charge fees to cancel, even if you don't cancel early. Their reasoning is that they sent you a renewal bill and they ran your reports again, and it is an "earned" fee because they ran your reports again (even though you had not chosen to renew with them!!!). 0 stars for SafeAuto. They suck.

Original review: March 13, 2021

SafeAuto told me our car was totaled after they towed it to their storage building. We were covered by this policy for collision. This car was financed with one more year to pay off. They refused to pay anything to the bank. Safe Auto stated that the bank would have to turn the title over to them BEFORE SafeAuto would pay anything to GMC Financial towards the pay-off. GMC refused to turn the title over to SafeAuto BEFORE receiving their pay-off. Basically Safe Auto Insurance was of zero value on our claim. We got nothing from Safe Auto, nothing at all. I really think how they handled our claim was illegal!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Friendly workers, low prices, and can pay every six months. No one can match the price no matter how much they try. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone just starting out trying to find a inexpensive auto insurance company. If your car is older they have rather cheap insurance for the vehicle you have. The newer the more expensive it might be but still less than most companies.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I got an estimate from SafeAuto for car insurance, thought the rate was reasonable and started a policy. Two days later my rate went up because of an old ticket I had forgotten, my mistake. Found another insurance company that offered a lower rate with the ticket considered so I decided to switch. SafeAuto made that process extremely difficult, "accidently" hung up on me and kept entering my info wrong. After two hours finally got confirmation of policy cancelation and was promised the difference back from the coverage I had already paid for. I still haven't gotten a penny back from them, tried to call multiple times and the reps keep saying they can't find my info or account and no money will be refunded to me.

It is theft, by a company or an individual, straight up theft. This is not an insurance company in my opinion, and they should be held accountable by the law. Unfortunately it isn't enough money to warrant litigation or I would be considering it. Do yourself a favor and pay a little extra if necessary to get a better company. SafeAuto will never have your back unless it's for the sole purpose of rummaging around in your wallet.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

An AllState insurer back into my car while I was stopped at a light. This was 7/24/20. I'm still waiting to be assisted with my claim. The claims rep Danielle said she was having a hard time filing for me, and told me to file myself online as a third party. This is very frustrating as I also had a hard time filing and feel this is what I pay Safe Auto for. Tomorrow is Oct 1 and still no claim has been filed so my car's body work can be fixed. I'm definitely changing car insurance. Stay far away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We were rear ended while driving our 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Van which we bought brand new and planned to keep for another 10 years. It had low mileage and was in pristine condition. The person who hit us was covered by Safe Auto. No one ever contacted us, we had to initiate contact. It took 2 weeks for anyone to look at our van and then they totaled it out. It has been 4 weeks now and we still have no compensation. We are senior citizens on a limited budget and we had to purchase another vehicle. We had to borrow the money to do so. Safe Auto will not pay us for stress involved or loss of our vehicle usage.

The van was worth so much more than they are willing to pay. We asked they just fix it and because of its age they refused. There was nothing wrong with the motor, inside, dash, etc. It is a crime that they total these vehicles out. Are our landfills so empty they need more vehicles? NOT. It could have been fixed and driven for another 10 years. Their adjuster never called us, we called him, only to be put on hold or wait for him to call us back. He promised to call us three times and never did. Who does business like this? I will NEVER recommend Safe Auto and I will be very verbal on social media and Facebook about their lack of quality service. NO ONE SHOULD PURCHASE INSURANCE FROM THEM.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I don’t have Safe Auto as my insurance THANK GOD!!! But the lady who hit me does. They were rude every time I spoke to someone. They didn’t get back to me in a timely fashion. They made my accident of less priority and basically put me on the back burner. They didn’t talk to the lady that hit me until almost two weeks later! I called and called and my case was never updated. Then they put me in the smallest car possible, a Ford Fiesta. I’m 5’9!!!! Why would they put me in a small car when my car is like medium size. My knees are in the dash board. My ankle hurts and my whole right leg hurts from driving. When I called to see if they can at least put me in a medium sized car as always I was on hold for an hour! Then the lady came on to tell me she had to ask her supervisor for an upgrade when it should’ve been a medium size anyway not small. She wanted to put me on hold AGAIN & I couldn’t because I had places to be.

This has been nothing but a headache for me from 7/13/20 until now 8/31/20. Today I just got to put my car in the shop and they gave me a small rental because that’s what safe auto told them. I'M TOO TALL FOR A SMALL!!!! I am in so much pain right now! I wouldn’t recommend ANYONE to have safe auto. Smart mouths! They have you on the phone on hold for an hour JUST TO GET ON & get smart with you. Mind you the accident wasn’t my fault!! And if your accident is “minor” you are not a priority to them in a timely fashion. I just called and they put me on hold for like 20 minutes just to disconnect my call. POOR PROFESSIONALISM!!!! Something needs to be done with this company. I am very disappointed & I will be contacting news outlets & anyone else that I can concerning this matter!!!!

SafeAuto Insurance Company Information