Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.42/5

Safe Auto Insurance

Safe Auto Insurance provides auto, renters and health coverage for high-risk clients. Safe Auto is not an InsuraMatch partner. Contact InsuraMatch to get several insurance quotes from different providers and find the right carrier for your situation. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Auto Insurance is an Ohio-based and independently owned company serving 16 states. It provides minimum limit insurance, non-standard coverage and comprehensive options directly to consumers. Positive customer reviews appreciate the range of options and say they are likely to renew their policy.

PROS

• Liability, collision and comprehensive coverages
  • New business transfer discount
  • 24/7 customer service
  • Home owner discount
  • SR-22 option

CONS

• No online claims
  • Limited to 16 states
  • Low down payment and affordable monthly installments

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

133 Safe Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I'm not a Safe Auto customer, but was in an accident by one of their insured. Their driver pulled out in front of me and I T-Boned him on 12-28-18, and it's now 8-28-19 and Safe Auto has been giving me the run around since day one. Their driver was ticketed and admitted to the police that he pulled out in front of me. I called Safe Auto in order to get a rental vehicle and Don told me that he would have to look at the police report to see who was at fault. After knowing his driver was at fault they still didn't provide me with a vehicle. Told them that I'm a business owner and have to move around, but they never provided me transportation. I would call and get no return calls and when they call they would say that they've been trying to reach me (lies). When they didn't provide me with a rental they wanted me to give a recorded statement and I declined, because they were already playing unfair and I knew what they were trying to do.

Long story short with no recorded statement they (Don) determined that I was at 40% fault. My truck is totaled and the adjuster that came out only took pics of the exterior of my truck when I wasn't home. He never popped the hood to see the battery flipped to the side and the radiator and cooler busted, the bumper, frame and lights are all damaged. I have medical bills (not paid), loss of wages, a totaled truck and Safe Auto sent me a $500 check. I will sue the vehicle owner and let him deal with Safe Auto once I gather the procedure in doing so. I value my case at under $9,000, and was telling (Don) that I believe I would be ok and to just fix my truck and cover my minor medical bills. SMH... Should I have lied or be honest? Seems like honesty doesn't work these days for me. Safe Auto will leave their customers vulnerable to being sued personally. WARNING!!! Stay away from this company. Even their customers are complaining.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Omg I wish I would have never purchased a policy with this insurance company. First of all I was quoted a really low rate on coverage for a car that I'm financing but when I purchased the policy the price raised to almost double. So after 2 months of paying the stupidly expensive price I found a better and cheaper car insurance company. For 40% less the price SafeAuto was charging me, for me, my wife and our 2 cars. So I gave safeauto a call to cancel my policy not long after making a payment to them. I was informed by the phone rep that it would be better if I emailed my my cancellation request along with my letter of declaration from my new insurance provider. He also informed me that I would receive a prorated refund amount from the beginning of my new policy with liberty Mutual. The none reply email informed me that my request would be processed 3 days after. Ok great, so 2 1/2 weeks pass I get a bill from safeauto for 365.00.

I had to call today to cancel the policy with them. Something I tried to do weeks ago. So instead of getting a refund I find out I now owe 75.96. The total opposite of what I was told. I know it's only 75 bucks, but I feel like I'm being punished for trying handle switching car insurance the correct way and listening to the advice of their customer care rep. Should I just accept it or waste more of my time trying to the get money owed to me. I'm torn. Guys do not purchase a policy with safeauto. You have been warned.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Was politely acknowledged (greeted) by DAN who must have been the only one answering the phones that morning. He quickly turned very ugly when I asked about the 30 day period my mom was promised she had to cancel if she didn't want this extended warranty. First thing he did was hang up. I called back, Customer service yelled at me (I believe DAN was high on drugs). For them, making my 83 year old mom buy their confusing policy, a (take money sale) to a old lady, my mom. WOW this is quality service I thought. Bottom line this company or scam business should not be in business. Hook or crook, this is plain and simple BAD... Stay away. I am going through Attorney General of Minnesota to try clear this up.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I needed SR-22 insurance. So I got online and researched who carried the insurance. The site said they carried it so I bought it. A few days later I made it to the DDS and was informed by them I did not have SR-22. After 5 phone calls to this company and over 5 hours at the DDS I found out Safe Auto CAN'T even sell SR-22 insurance in Georgia. So I contacted another company, bought the insurance from another company. I have contacted The Insurance Commissioner and am in the process of filing a complaint and hopefully suing this company. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING ANYONE TELLS YOU AT THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CROOKS COMMITTING FRAUD. I made this mistake, you don't have to.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I really didn't want to rate them but had to so they get a one star. I just recently purchased a policy through Safe Auto for them to send me a cancellation notice 9 days later. They tell me I needed to pay my premium which I paid to start my policy. So now they wanted to charge double what I paid for my premium. So in total I would've paid over $500. On top of that pay my monthly a couple weeks later which in total for the month will equal to over $800 again. Didn't have the policy that long. They sent me no notices of any changes. Definitely don't recommend this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 12, 2019

I've been a policy holder with Safe Auto for over a year now and my recent experience has been absolutely awful. About 2 weeks ago I was hit while sitting at a red light and the other person fled the scene, I filed my claim and the communication with my adjuster is anything but professional. They don't care about their policy holders. I've called numerous times to only get put on hold or the line gets disconnected. They ended up telling me the car would be a total loss and I'll hear from a total loss adjuster within 48 hours, well it's now been 12 days. I have special driving privileges and now I received a voicemail from them saying my license is invalid, which isn't the case but they're trying to get out of paying. They have major communication issues, and I'm highly disappointed with Safe Auto and the BS I'm dealing with just to file a claim and getting the issue resolved, After all this is why we have full coverage just in case something happens right?

Original review: July 9, 2019

For starters it’s bad enough that their own policyholders are taking the time to warn everyone else about how bad this company is. I’m someone who doesn’t have a policy with these people and have still endured the pain they put people through. On May 12, 2019 one of their policyholders pulled out in front of me at about 40mph and totaled my car. Safe auto has took it upon themselves to make this experience as painful as they can. They offered me a settlement of $5000 for the vehicle damage. Mind you my car was valued at around $8000. They gave me some bs lie that that state of PA only allows them to offer that much which I learned to accept I will be responsible for the remaining amount due on my vehicle loan. Once again, the car was totaled and this was not my fault.

Once I signed the document they sent me, they reached back out to me after to tell me that they were going to deduct my rental fee, after I had to Uber for two weeks because they couldn’t get their ** together and provide a rental sooner and they also told me they were going to take another $1600 for the copier fees. Now after the accident the people in the ambulance told me if I wouldn’t of been wearing a seat belt, I possibly would have been ejected or been injured even worse so I’m glad I was at least being responsible on my part.

Almost 2 months later safe auto is still keeping their title as the worst insurance company out there. Not to mention, everyone that emails me takes literally 5 days to respond so my advice to anyone reading this is, go with a company more reputable and if you’re going to be charged a ton of money like other policyholders are saying, take your hard earned money somewhere else and get the coverage you deserve.

Original review: July 4, 2019

They quote a low price online and once you purchase the policy they increase the policy dramatically. I purchased a auto policy for my husband and tried to add a additional vehicle to the policy. There was not a option so we email them and they added it week later after we purchase a separate policy for our other vehicle. We called to make a payment and they told us they had to cancel one of the policies and combined the policy. We was first told they would apply the credit for the cancel policy in 7 business days. Upon the 8th business day we was told they had to send us a check. We informed them they have given us 3 different refund policies. The cost of the plan increase from $72 on 6/10/19 to $250 as existing cost for 2 basic liability policies. And we still have not received our refund. These people are crooks. BEWARE!

I requesting an investigation to be launched on this company for they cost, practices and policies that changes over and over and over and they charge customers as they change their policies. They told us we have a balance due for $250 on a statement that was generated 7/2/2019 and the due date is June 23, 2019. There something wrong with this statement and this company. We are leaving them.

Original review: April 23, 2019

2 months into this policy I paid in full to avoid the additional $10.00 monthly fee. Then after a 0.00 bill next month, the following month I get a 12.00 bill. What for??? They charged me an additional 2 + 10 monthly fee because I am a renter. 5 months later WTF. Now I know $12 isn't much but I paid the bill in full to avoid additional monies. I am retired and on disability. I do not want additional fees. This is pure **. How come you're going to charge me something 5 months later after I started the policy and then paying it off!!! Now I'm shopping for new insurance. This insurance company is the worst.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Safe Auto has to be hands down the absolute worst for car insurance out there. Their agents are lazy boldfaced liars. They create stall tactics and fake cancellations to force you into paying these bogus inflated monthly payment increases. Our payments went from $191 first month 03/19 PAID ON THE FIRST, $195 second month 04/19 PAID ON THE FIRST, to $225 third 04/19, plus a $95 immediately (for not signing some bs form they never sent to us) in just two months. We received two forms (this month 04/19) out of nowhere with "second notice" on them both.... **. We check our mail AND emails daily and never received a form from them. Had we received them we would have signed them and sent them back no biggie. We call them and they're blowing smoke up our **. We tell them we're not paying and we'll just find another agency. All of a sudden they're willing to have the forms faxed over to them.

Couple days later we receive a "YOUR POLICY WILL BE CANCELLED 4/26/19." We call them YET AGAIN, would you believe they're telling us we're missing yet another form. Well why weren't we told there were other forms missing when we spoke with a "supervisor" regarding the previous form issue? So again I tell them I'm not paying $225 for next months payment plus a $95 fee for April on top of the $195 I already paid.. All because you idiots are having clerical issues and you don't know which policyholder is missing which form. All this form nonsense should have been done when we first signed up for the policy and made the initial payment. I'm not about to pay $500 plus dollars in two months because you idiots at Safe Auto dropped the ball and failed to do your jobs. How is that fair? All this for missing forms. I wasn't late on a payment hadn't missed a payment. Only had the policy for two months. I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't living it.

Safe Auto Insurance Company Information