Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
1.17/5
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratings

Sherman Oaks, CA

Freeway Auto Insurance has many types of auto insurance coverage, including SR-22 policies. At this time, it not an InsuraMatch verified company. Contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from multiple partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

118 Freeway Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My experience with Freeway was the worst. Agents are rude! Don't care about your experience or the customers, all they care about it signing you up and collecting the auto pay. Wouldn't recommend. I spoke to "customer care" over the phone. Not only is the wait long they treat customers as a jokes since my agent kept making laughing noises at every question.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My experience with Freeway started out pleasant enough. They searched for the cheapest coverage for me by using a zip code for the rich part of Orange County, CA. When I received my paperwork from Infinity Insurance I find out I'm paying an extra 600 dollars because my car is in a different zip code. What a scam. I thought this would be really easy to fix but instead I got the runaround just like everyone here. I canceled the policy right away and went with a different insurer. Hope this will help someone not get rip off.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Okay WORST insurance ever! I canceled my insurance because they were charging me $220 just for me not even full coverage. I canceled two weeks before the second payment so next month they still had the disgrace to take out the money. I go into the store the same day. Lady refuses to refund me the whole amount even though I canceled & went in that same day to cancel. Just BS!?? They kept $80 ** dollars for what. I have no insurance. I canceled it before & went in the same day to say WTH was going on???

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews before purchasing through Freeway. They called me asking the basic questions. I was on the phone forever. They never stated they were an agency and charged fees. The rep. came back with a price way cheaper than what I’ve been getting online, so it sounds like a deal. They said it was through Progressive. I proceed to give my financial information. She said it’ll be x amount of dollars, okay cool no problem cause it’s going towards my insurance.

Wrong. $105 of that went toward agency fees and the other half hasn’t been taking out my account yet but may be on hold. When I found that out, I called to have the policy canceled. To my surprise, no answer. I called and called and by the time they answered, I was over the top. He claimed they were super busy and apologized blah blah blah. I was connected back to the lady who sold me the policy explained I wanted to cancel, so she connected me to management.

It get fun here. Oh he started fast talking me saying it makes no sense to cancel since I paid a months worth already. Just use the month and then cancel. After saying no a thousand times, he still was at it, proceeded to say the agents work hard to find insurance blah blah blah so the agency fee is none refundable. And then they already emailed out the paperwork, which I signed none of it. Now they added my refund application to the list of emails papers I didn’t sign, so I asked them to email that paperwork separate. Of course no response yet.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Hi... When I signed up for this Ins the customer service was quick and helpful, I signed up with a lovely agent (**). She was great in getting me a quote and I paid over the ph and she sent me my ID cards and all her reachable info, She said when it was time for my payment I can call her and we can do it over the phone. So at that time, I called. No Ans, so I left a message NA, then I called at different times of the day. No answer, left messages, no return call, emailed, no return emails, at one time the call rolled over to another office at Military (Mitchell). She was really nice. I asked how come the office on Austin High never answered. She says the office is always open.

So I called the 8884434662 Customer Service #. The Rep that answered was unprofessional and rude, So at the end of the call she asked If there was anything else I needed help with I said, "Yes; you need to be more nicer to your customers," and I said, "You are very rude and impatience and had I have had an accident or something else had happen and that's why I would have been calling I would not want a Rep with your attitude helping me." So with a softer tone of voice, she said, "I'm sorry." I then told her I was originally thinking that I was going to get a quote for my other 5 veh's, However with their manner of assisting customers, Them, not answering the phone calls or emails I'm definitely sure I do not want to stay on with Freeway Ins.

So I made my way to 1533 Austin Highway, spoke to Mrs. ** and put in my cancellation. Shortest time I was ever with an Ins Co. 16 Days Only. What one needs in an Ins Co is for the least: Great Customer Service, Prompt Assistance, ESPECIALLY in the event of an accident, Then again their having employment depends on Customers and their Satisfaction, Hence Training and Assessments, To Better Serve Customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freeway Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Save yourself a lot of money, time, and despair. Do not ever purchase Freeway insurance. They are the most dishonest, unethical, crooks I've ever done business with. They will tell you anything you want to hear to get your business, and know just how to word it to cover their ** legally. I asked if they charged to add on or delete a vehicle because that was a deal breaker for me. And I was informed by the nice agent on the phone. "Oh no. We will not ever charge you for adding a vehicle." They go through on the internet while you're on the phone. All their 100s of forms to sign your life away so fast you don't know what hit you, this is where all the hidden fees are.

Well needless to say first time I tried to add a vehicle at the office of our Hemet location, I was informed there is a $100 fee, later I found out that this is an broker fee not adding a vehicle fee. This is how they can lie about it, and legally get away with it. So I then tried to cancel this insurance policy, which turned into a nightmare, I went into the office and thought I covered all my bases (put in writing, dated for the 1st and reason why,). Agent faxed it over while I sat there to confirm. Then I find out they never cancelled me on the first and waited to cancel me until the end of the month for no payment. I even emailed a copy to them stating to cancel me as of the 1st because I requested due to their misleading me and they still would not cancel me as of my request.

Even after trying to call multiple times and speak with supervisor etc... no one would listen or help me. I was in tears. So I decided to make a complaint to the department of insurance with my complaint. And finally after that they decided to cancel me per my request by the requested date. And proceeded to charge me a cancelation fee of $ 70.00 after paying broker fee to start the policy and only having their insurance for two months. So buyer beware and if you decide to get your insurance through them God help you. I would love to see a class action against this deceitful, dishonest, horrible company. Hopefully if enough people get took it will happen.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I purchased Insurance with Windhaven through Freeway Insurance. I provided proof of prior insurance and was told my discounted rate will be $260 per month. After almost 3 months I realized they were charging my card over $510 per month. I called Windhaven and they stated Freeway never sent them proof of prior insurance and that is why I was charged $510 per month. Windhaven stated it is too late for me to receive my previous quote and placed a conference call to Freeway. Freeway asked them to cover the mistake made by Freeway and Windhaven said no and canceled my policy. Freeway filed a complaint for me because it was proven that I provided my previous insurance proof prior to purchasing this new quote and it was a mistake on their behalf and they owe me the overpayment amount.

I received a refund offer of only $100 instead of the total owed of $750 when the math is done based on being overcharged for the past 3 months. I kept asking to speak to someone else, all of then admitted it was Freeway's mistake, but the most I was offered to be refunded is $300, which I refused to accept because then I would be agreeing by taking that amount versus what is owed. I was told that someone will contact me next week with their final amount they will pay for their mistake. Each person offered a different amount of refund and someone who stated she was the Manager said they will not refund anything and I should have noticed in the beginning. I'll find out next week what they're going to actually pay me.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I just bought a policy from a wonderful gentleman named Richard ** (Representative Golf Course location in Rio Rancho, New Mexico). I’m on a fixed income, he gave me several options/quotes. He found me, all the things I was looking for. He is kind, patient and very helpful. Great experience!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I've never hated an insurance company till I start using Freeway. This company is so very unorganized. I was told my policy would cost me $40.00. Well received first bill I received was a disconnection notice and for $74.71. I called them immediately. I was transferred to three different people then I was discounted from the line. After calling back I ask for a supervisor. Waited on the line for over 30 mins. I was told there was nothing she could do for me. I was so ticked off. I'm so finish with this company... Bait and switch is all they do!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Classic bait and switch. Quote me one price. Then double it in person. When I reluctantly went with their policy. I was $14.00 short. Kila then said I could pay him back. I thought that was kind. Yesterday he called to remind that I owed him still. So I said I'll try to make it over to pay him. I unfortunately was unable to make it there.

As far as Freeway insurance I highly recommend that this gentleman, and I use the term gentleman loosely. Is either fired or give him a business ethic course along with a basic guideline of what proper customer service is supposed to be like. As for me I recommend that you stay away from this place. This place is shady. Go with a company like Allstate, AAA or State Farm. Their agents have to be professionals.

Original review: June 4, 2018

** from Freeway Insurance office at 510 Hacienda Dr.Ste. 108B. Vista, CA 92081 scammed me by giving me an insurance policy against my will. When I came to their office asking for an insurance quote, she was being extra friendly and distracting by asking personal questions, and repeatedly saying "trust me." She collected all of my personal information including credit card and car registration. After that, she said that she can give me a monthly price of $101, and that it is the cheapest insurance I can find in entire California, which is not true. Then, she said I need to sign couple documents that mean I approve that my information is correct and that I received her help looking for the best insurance. Again, she was rushing and distracting me from paying attention to the paperwork by asking me random personal questions.

Finally, she gave an envelope with her business card on it saying it is her contact information in case I need further assistance. One hour later, my credit card was charged $303. I gave her a call asking what happened, and turned out she sold me the insurance! In that envelope, it was a policy that had my car information wrong. I kept calling her number but she never responded. Next day, I showed up at her office and she was being very rude and avoiding giving me an assistance. She said that my money are not refundable and I cannot reverse the process. ** never responded to my phone calls and never sent me any information through email as she promised me to do.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I bought a one year policy and paid in full. 4 weeks into the policy I got a bill stating I need to pay 610 more dollars. I called and was told it was for changing my address which I didn't do nor did I move. I paid 1533.76 for the whole policy. They refuse to stand by the agreement, they refuse to drop the 610 dollar fee even though they found me to be right. They also refuse to refund me my money. The person I spoke to talked over me several times and refused to help. Both companies said the other company made the mistake. They won't even tell me how long they will honor the insurance I paid for. Never use these people. I was on the phone for 2 hours only to be interrupted and she kept talking louder when I tried to tell her I don't live at the place they have for the garaging of the car.

Original review: April 18, 2018

First off Freeway Insurance is just the broker. It's not a actual insurance company. I finally found out I had insurance through Western General after going in to speak with them. Make long story short if you purchase a new car and want to take the old one off they will charge you 172 just to swap cars on your insurance and you will have to pay your insurance on top of that. So in one month I needed to pay 175+240 or whatever your insurance amount is added with the 175 in. Guess what. It does not stop there. Because my car is a 2016 they took it up 60 more dollars so my payment is 300 a Month. What a rip off. Insurance is almost a car payment. Looking for another insurance company as we speak. Throw the broker and the insurance company away pls.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I called for a SR22, was told it would be 21.00 a month, made 1st payment for 60.00 and then they came back and charged my cc 176. And change all together 227.00. to my shock and I didn't authorize another 176.00. When I complained they said they would give me 50.00 credit but only if I gave them a good review. And also got another bill from INS. Co. 227 and 35. 262+ dollars. I said I couldn't afford a lot and was happy to only pay 21 a month. But instead they are charging 262. I called and called to try to work things out with no results. They are a ripoff!!! They give you one price and charge you a lot more. They are not an insurance company, they are a broker, and I didn't find this out till after.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I signed up over the phone opting to pay in full, but decided to cancel less than 2 hours after charging over 1,000 on my card. They were supposed to email paperwork for me to sign and fax back an Insurance info within 15 minutes, but hadn't done so yet. So when they finally called me back 2 hours later I told them I no longer wanted insurance, Please cancel. They threatened me they would take money anyway and if I didn't want to lose any more money I needed to keep Insurance and not cancel.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I needed cheap insurance because I have an old car that doesn't need full coverage. Heard about freeway insurance on the radio so I gave them a call. I paid 75$ to start my insurance and was told it would be 45 a month after that. I specifically told them that I don't authorize auto bill pay. Two weeks later 130$ was taken from my account. From what I've read on here I'm not the only one to have this problem. Please someone do something about this company.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I was struck from behind by a Freeway Insurance member. However, Freeway Insurance seemingly has no way to be contacted to make a claim! Try. I dare you. Google them. Look on their website. There is plenty of information on how to buy their crappy insurance. None on how and where to file a claim. I've invested several hours today trying to make a claim, having wound up in several queues and voicemail boxes. This company is the absolute worst. Please. In the name of all that is holy, do not buy insurance from these people.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I contacted Freeway Insurance via phone to open a new policy on January 4, 2018. I paid nearly $150 to start the policy and I was told several times that my first installment payment would be due the following month, and all subsequent bills would come monthly. I received a bill in the mail for my first installment fee about a week later stating that my first bill was due as of January 25, 2018. Needless to say I was pissed. They did not honor what they originally quoted me. What is the purpose of recording the phone conversation if the broker/agent is not going to be held accountable. I paid $150 for 22 days of insurance as opposed to 30. Had this been conveyed to me initially, I wouldnt have had a problem, but I don't like being deceived.

I tried contacting customer service and after being placed on hold for more than 20 minutes the agent finally picked up and after explaining my grievance the call was disconnected and there was no attempt for them to call me back. I had to contact them again and wait again for someone to pick up only to be told that there is nothing that can be done about the mix up. Extremely frustrating. I will never do business with them or any of their affiliates (such as Infinity) and would not recommend their services to a friend or loved one. Their rates were no lower than any of the many other insurance agencies in my city.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Freeway Insurance of Fresno, CA 4846 Kings Canyon Rd - I signed up with Freeway October 12, 2017. I was very clear with Agent **, that I didn’t want Freeway Insurance in my private account. I told her 5 times, while looking directly in her eyes at her desk, I did not want Freeway Insurance in my bank account. It turns out, if you write a check, or use a debit card whether you authorize them or not, these people now have the right to access your account at will. This is exactly what Freeway Insurance did. This company is robbing customers at will when you sign up them, And overcharging good paying customers for what’s supposed to be reasonable insurance. What I paid Freeway for Liability, I have full coverage at a better company.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I was searching for an insurance policy over the weekend. I called Freeway insurance twice and twice they hung up on me. A man and (the second time, when I called to complain) a woman. No apologies; nothing! Because I really needed an affordable policy, I called again. I began an insurance policy with Freeway for $260. They said the insurance policy is from Progressive Insurance. To my surprise, in the space of two days they had deducted $260 and an additional $258! My gosh! I have been calling and emailing the Manager, Luiz. He said he's been communicating with Progressive and that it'd take them 2 WEEKS to refund my money! How is that POSSIBLE?

I do not know WHY & HOW they exposed my banking information to Progressive Insurance. Secondly, this UNAUTHORIZED debit into my account has led to my inability to meet certain financial obligations! Freeway insurance emailed me on Monday to inform me that Progressive would send an overnight check to get to me by EOD, Wednesday! Unfortunately, as of today, Thursday 9/28/17, I am yet to receive a cheque, call or email from Freeway Insurance! Beware of these scammers!!! I am taking them to court!

Original review: June 7, 2017

My employee was a policy holder for this company. She was involved in a hit and run a few weeks ago. Her insurance is not wanting to cover the accident. The policy period for the policy started at a non industry period, which is normally 12 midnight. In this case the policy was enforce at 9:45 am and her accident was at 11:00 am. The carrier asked for the police report which also stated 11 am. Now the carrier is delaying the claims for another three weeks and is asking for a week’s worth of cellphone records which Verizon does not publish. This company clearly does not want to pay its claims.

Original review: April 27, 2017

An agent I spoke to named "Sabrina **" and she lured me into getting insurance by telling me that there is a great deal but did not tell me that I will be paying a huge deposit. I paid $486 and told her to cancel and she said she will call me the next day to cancel it but did not! I called her up the next day after huge call waits and she was on another call (probably duping another innocent person). After a few long call waits and few tries I was able to contact her and she said she will cancel the insurance and I will be refunded the money in 2 to 3 weeks.

8 WEEKS go by with NO SIGHT Of MONEY, I call back only to find out that she did not complete the cancellation form and was told only $16 could be refunded back after all cancellation fees, DUPING broker fee and all their fees to STEAL my money!!! Horrible service, very hard to get in touch, multiple transfers, long call waits, cheaters, manipulators, liars, very expensive. DO NOT GET THEIR INSURANCE.

Original review: April 22, 2017

On April 8th, my husband received a call from Alex at Freeway Insurance and was advised that our policy was cancelled. After my husband told him that a check was sent in with an exact amount and date on it. He put us on hold and then came back on the phone and said everything was fine and confirmed we do have insurance. My husband asked if he was sure because we were heading out of town for the weekend and need to be covered. To find out a week later when my husband accidentally drove over something on the freeway that caused the bottom of his car needing major work about $5,700 worth.

Got on the phone with insurance company and they confirmed it's been canceled for the last 2-3 weeks due to no payment. Payment they received was a few dollars short. A cancellation notice was sent out but my husband has a lot going on. So when Alex said, "Everything was confirmed, all was ok", we believed him. So Infinity denied our claim. Called Freeway and to our dismay, turns out they said "that conversation was never recorded". We are constantly talking to one "supervisor" or another with no help! We need this yet resolved since it's our 2nd car to get around in.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Freeway Insurance helped me find an affordable insurance coverage plan in less than 20 minutes. My agent, Laura ** made the process really easy and her customer service was great. I would recommend this company for anyone looking for insurance.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Two months ago I helped a friend find auto insurance. She has a bad driving record, so I searched for companies who deal with assigned risk. Freeway Auto Insurance took all of her information, driver's license, vin number etc. and ran all the reports. They quoted her a price of $298.00 a month (which was a lot less than other places). The agent sent her the documents to sign, which included all of her accidents listed and spelled out who was at fault. The agent assured us that this was the price and it wouldn't go up. They deducted her payment for the 2nd month just as the first one. Then on the 3rd month she got a bill that read that her payment was $564.00 a month. When she called them and spent 6 hours on the phone, they told her that the agent has put a "good driver" discount in and then upon review, they took it off.

Did the agent do this just to get the $350.00 non-refundable agent fee, knowing that it wouldn't stick? Also, the insurance company (Dairyland Insurance) obviously accepted the policy presented from the agent, why would they do if they didn't plan on honoring the contract. I feel like our friend was scammed. Shady business practices a best... possibly scam artists.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Looking for reasonable insurance after being dropped by State Farm, Freeway Insurance helped me find affordable coverage for around almost half the price of other companies. My agent Dawn ** really help ease my mind of paying high prices for insurance. With an affordable down payment and affordable monthly payments, I have great insurance coverage again. Thanks Dawn, you're truly an angel!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

I went to Freeway Insurance because I was looking to get a low monthly car insurance. They gave me a good monthly price and asked me for a deposit of $293.00 for the insurance. I thought it was ok but a few days later I started to get by mail letters increasing the monthly fee. I decided to look for another insurance company and I cancelled the policy with them. I went back to the same Freeway Insurance office, requesting to get back some of the refund from my deposit because I only used their service less than 30 days and I understand that there is broker fees. They said is not refundable. I learned my lesson, never go back to them and I don't recommend them. Shady business.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

You get what you pay it for. The reason this "car insurance" company is cheap is because they want to get you in and rip you off later. I had a battle at the first month with my bank and this company 'cause all of a suddenly they charge from my bank account without my authorization an amount of $284 and say that was the fee for the broker. They fraud my sign and with different car color and misspelling my name. People are sarcastic on the phone. I was able to prove to my bank all the paperwork and it was a time consuming. At the end they took a payment of $80.41 and never refund me. I gave up cause the didn't worth the stress. Never trust in this company and give your personal information. Bad service and bad business.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I was completing the adhesion of Freeway Insurance when the dealership of the car I was trying to buy informed me that I could not buy the car. At the same instant I told the FREEWAY INSURANCE clerk Arthur to cancel my insurance. But even canceling in the same second, I was charged, and by requesting my money back they informed me that it would take 2 weeks for my refund. I'm waiting almost 1 month, and every time that I call to ask about my refund, they put me on the waiting line for more than 40 minutes and they never solve my situation. This will be my last request before talk with my lawyer to solve this problem.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I tried them after hearing how cheap auto insurance was. The idiot tells me that I would be charged a ONE TIME fee of 145 to set up my insurance and that was it. I then get a call a month later from a rude ** rep telling me that I was late and fees applied now for not paying an additional $200 dollars, which was NEVER the case or EVER discussed. So, I ask for a Supervisor just to end up being spoken to like complete ** and told to deal with it or have it on my credit and then he hangs up on me. Fast forward another month and I look at my credit card statement and notice that these ** are charging my damn card every 2 days for $20+ charges. I call to complain and now none of them want to talk to me. Freeway Insurance is an absolute SCAM!!!! They should be shut down! I'm going to get my money back!

Freeway Auto Insurance Company Information