Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.15/5

Sherman Oaks, CA

Freeway Auto Insurance has many types of auto insurance coverage, including SR-22 policies. At this time, it not an InsuraMatch verified company. Contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from multiple partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Freeway offers customers looking for low-cost insurance an easy, online method of getting coverage. Positive reviews appreciate the lower price and connections to national firms and the ability to sign up from the comfort of home.

PROS

• Affiliation with major insurance brands
  • 24/7 customer service available
  • Fast, easy sign up online or by phone
  • Plans available for cars, trucks, RVs, commercial vehicles and more

CONS

• Insurance office hours can vary
  • Wait times can vary

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

136 Freeway Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

Stay away from this company!! I repeat stay awayyy!! I paid 361.00 for 1 month. A month later I got a letter from DMV saying I have to pay a fine for not having insurance. So I am confused now and I end up calling Freeway Insurance only for them to tell me that it was a down payment and that I was only covered for 20 days?! I was never told this. I even had all the proof that says I would be covered for a month but the person I speaked to through the phone could care less to what I had to say. Saying it's not their fault and being so rude. Dont want to refund my money or anything. I have never ever been scammed like this from a insurance company in the 7 years I been driving. These people need to be shut down asap. This is really wrong!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I obtained a second vehicle and my current policy went up too much so I opted to switch to Freeway. They gave me a pretty good deal so I decided to sign up. I was told by the guy who signed me up that all I would have to pay was $151 and then $87 a month. I agreed and had him put my debit card on file to automatically debit the money in a week.

A couple of days later, I found a cheaper rate so I called to cancel. The woman I spoke to told me that in order to cancel the policy, all I would have to pay was a $20 cancellation fee and that I would also be refunded $50. The day after that, I get a call from Freeway's collections department saying I owed a total of $299. They couldn't explain why the woman told me I would only have to pay $20 or why my payoff amount on my online account said $0. All they kept saying was that I owed a $150 broker fee plus an additional $149 down payment, which I think is ridiculous for a service I didn't even end up using, and I honestly wouldn't have had an issue paying it if everyone would have been upfront about everything from the get go. I plan on fighting that $299 balance and I also switched to Wawanesa who gave me a much better deal with no ridiculous down payments or broker fees.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I heard the advertising on the radio 105.9 that they were the best for prices and little do I find out after calling the guy that I was transferred to starting cussing say ** and, "Screen this ** screen ain’t working." No lie. That was funny but then the guy clicked on me. Trying to be professional and cussing at the same time is like a 1 star service seriously. Then I called back and they said they will call me back in 5 mins and never did.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I will never deal with Freeway insurance company. Lost 500 dollars because of their agents. Not one person I talk to care about my situation and even the manager knew their agents missed and still didn’t care. No I have no insurance because they didn’t do their job and I’m willing to go to the highest to sue this damn company.

Original review: April 23, 2019

This place should not even be in business! They treat customers poorly and have no clue what they are doing! If you need insurance please stay away from this horrendous company! No one knows wtf they are doing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freeway Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 21, 2019

I had this insurance and someone hit me and run. I asked my "insurance" for help because it wasn't my fault but they lie saying that they would review my case and it passes about 2 months when I asked because my car was totaled lost and I was on so much pain and didn't hear from the insurance anything; when I called they told me that my case was closed 15 days before. Can you believe it! I had to pay the chiropractor some therapies and I was soon disappointed that I canceled my policy. It's bad really bad.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The agent Maricella ** is so unprofessional. She assured me there would be no extra cost after paying full amount. Then when I receive another bill I cancel and they steal more than half of my money including downpayment in only less than a week. I told the lame agent to cancel and she never returned my calls. This is a crooked company. Needs to be sued. I noticed a lot of other bad reviews similar to mine. Stay away from this scammers.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Please be aware they lie to you, If you want to add a car or make changes to your policy, you CAN NOT doing nothing by phone or online. It is frustrating!! Your first bill will be due after 21 days. They never told me that!! I cancel my policies and even more ridiculous. After 5 days I still have to wait for approval cancellation.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I paid $560 for a down payment Freeway insurance never mentioned. When I open the policy, they cancel my Policy. NOW, I have NO Insurance and they took my $560 (down payment). This is the WORST experience ever!! :(

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I made the biggest mistake of going to Freeway Insurance to get car insurance for my family. I was charge $395 by Freeway Insurance agents just to find me a car insurance (broker fee). I was never aware of a broker fee. I also was NOT told that there will be a down payment fee... In total I paid $544.00 and was WAS TOLD THAT THIS WAS THE CAR INSURANCE PAYMENT FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR!!! I was lied to. I found out that it's a BROKER FEE and DOWNPAYMENT FEES, I also have to pay a monthly fee of $85 on top of that $544.00 fee which I had thought was the car insurance payments. I find this experience with Freeway Insurance to be very dishonest. I feel that they took advantage of me.

Had they explained these fees to me, it would have been a different situations. They never did, they told me that this was the entire payment for the whole year! I clarified it with them and they said the same thing. They never mentioned a monthly payment and my understanding was, I was going to pay the whole amount in two payments... Find a local, and honest insurance. Do not go online and make calls to random insurance companies! My family, whose on the insurance with me was so busy that we decided to go online and call around to these insurance companies to check on quotes. This was the biggest mistake I made in a long time.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Formerly Texas State Low Cost is now Freeway, I've used the company for years but today I went in to pay my bill and remove a vehicle from my policy to which I found would cost me 20.00. Never had to pay to remove a vehicle before this. But I was told that if I left a Google review the 20.00 fee could be waived. Soliciting a review is basically extortion in my opinion. I do not think this is very ethical and seeing just how many bad reviews are out there for this company has prompted me to find insurance elsewhere. I took time to read previous reviews and it seems nationwide this company has many issues. Personally I will not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I highly encourage all those who were ripped off by unethical treatment by this company's personnel to join me in class action law-suit!!! Please help me and help yourselves and most important, help others so they won't be ripped off!!! I moved out of California and wanted to keep my policy with this company. They bounced me like a football transferring me from one person to another to 'help me out' until person #8 finally told me that I needed to cancel the policy because they wouldn't cover me in another state. He said that he would email me their cancellation form after verification of my email address, but until this day I don't have it.

When I called a week later, they gave me an email address to which to send my cancellation letter and then this stupid representative asked me to wait to change my address so I would get my funds leftover sent to the new address. After he was back, he declared that the policy was canceled and that I would only get a fraction of what I had paid because I was charged cancellation fee. Neither him, nor his supervisor agreed to take responsibility for the action, setting me into a loss. I basically paid for nothing while I was supposed to cancel the policy before it was renewed.

I AM INTENDED TO BRING THE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST THE COMPANY!!! PLEASE JOIN ME!!! YOU WON'T LOSE!!! The names of two last people I talked to: Customer Service Rep Charlie ** Employee #** and Supervisor Kevin ** #**. This is the only piece of information that I can't vouch for because they both may lie to protect themselves. Everything else is true!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

If you expect courteous customer service you will NOT get it from Freeway Insurance. If you go into their office you will wait for extreme long times even if you are the only customer. The underqualified agents purposes ignore you and file their nails and giggle while they gossip. They have deceptive means as to which to charge you obscene charges that are hidden and unreasonable such as a $100.00 fee to make changes on your policy including removing a vehicle from the policy. Then if you get wise and cancel they will find other coercive ways to bill you for made up charges. And forget their roadside assistance as you will sit for 4-5 hours in danger. I cancelled and got written by AAA with better coverage, rental car and roadside assistance that can be depended on. So DO NOT use FREEWAY INSURANCE, they are not to be depended on and surely are not your friend.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

This place needs a 101 lesson on customers service. They must forget we keep them employed. I work too hard as well as everyone else does for their money. I have been hung up on by the Manager Angelic at the Houston Location 832-786-6245 on several occasion. I have contacted customer service with my complaint and still nothing. What I did receive is a letter stating I am being cancelled for not sending over document that I have emailed over on November 7. I have 4 are with this agency so now you're telling me you're going to take my money due to the incompetence of this office. Now I am going to file a complaint with BBB and submit all information. I highly recommend staying clear of this place. PERIOD!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

This insurance company is a JOKE! I called to get insurance and was quoted 135.00 a month. After the first month they canceled my policy. When I called to ask why, they told me that the "discounts" that were applied were taken off. One discount being that I did not have any previous insurance, which I stated when I originally received the quote. The other for not being a homeowner. Which if they had asked, I would have told them no. When I called the representative to inquire about this, he told me that all quotes include these discounts and then once verified, the payment increases if you do not qualify. Pretty sure this should have been asked or even mentioned when I originally got the quote. What a ripoff! Do not use this scam of a company!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Forgets to send out a bill instead send late notice of cancellation. Takes over 6 month to resolve an accident that wasn’t my fault. Customer service is awful. Have gotten 2 letter from them canceling my insurance due to paperwork I need to fill out. I bring it in and they, “Oh we didn’t need this. Sorry.”

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Warning Do not use this broker! Was sold a commercial policy for $519 down, turns out Progressive Insurance that Freeway Insurance sold me to does not cover passenger carrier for the Liver Industry and now they will not refund anything! Please do not use both of them.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I wish I could give this place negative stars if I could. So first, I called Baja Insurance to get a quote and I signed up with an agent named Jesús. Then my policy got later canceled because of something about my insurance card not being current and when I tried to call him I find out that he doesn't even work for the company anymore so the number they gave me doesn't mean jack **. After that I had to call Freeway Insurance from the number on their website because neither of the numbers that were on my signed contract were applicable.

So fast forward to today, I go to check on my policy and find out that it's canceled AGAIN even though I sent in a current insurance card, and when I call the fourth person in a row in order to get some information on that, they tell me that my policy was canceled because my application was never sent. Mind you they're talking about the application that I SIGNED and RETURNED to Jesús. They told me that they sent me a mailed and texted notice about this, but I never received either. When I asked what could be done about it, the agent was extremely rude and told me that the only thing that could be done about this whole mess was to open a new ** policy.

To summarize DO NOT GO HERE unless you're comfortable with: being randomly dropped from the policy for payments you never received notice for, being dropped for never submitting an application even though you did, your agent suddenly not existing anymore, having to call four different numbers just to get in contact with your company because the other three they gave you don't work.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My experience with Freeway was the worst. Agents are rude! Don't care about your experience or the customers, all they care about it signing you up and collecting the auto pay. Wouldn't recommend. I spoke to "customer care" over the phone. Not only is the wait long they treat customers as a jokes since my agent kept making laughing noises at every question.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

My experience with Freeway started out pleasant enough. They searched for the cheapest coverage for me by using a zip code for the rich part of Orange County, CA. When I received my paperwork from Infinity Insurance I find out I'm paying an extra 600 dollars because my car is in a different zip code. What a scam. I thought this would be really easy to fix but instead I got the runaround just like everyone here. I canceled the policy right away and went with a different insurer. Hope this will help someone not get rip off.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Okay WORST insurance ever! I canceled my insurance because they were charging me $220 just for me not even full coverage. I canceled two weeks before the second payment so next month they still had the disgrace to take out the money. I go into the store the same day. Lady refuses to refund me the whole amount even though I canceled & went in that same day to cancel. Just BS!?? They kept $80 ** dollars for what. I have no insurance. I canceled it before & went in the same day to say WTH was going on???

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews before purchasing through Freeway. They called me asking the basic questions. I was on the phone forever. They never stated they were an agency and charged fees. The rep. came back with a price way cheaper than what I’ve been getting online, so it sounds like a deal. They said it was through Progressive. I proceed to give my financial information. She said it’ll be x amount of dollars, okay cool no problem cause it’s going towards my insurance.

Wrong. $105 of that went toward agency fees and the other half hasn’t been taking out my account yet but may be on hold. When I found that out, I called to have the policy canceled. To my surprise, no answer. I called and called and by the time they answered, I was over the top. He claimed they were super busy and apologized blah blah blah. I was connected back to the lady who sold me the policy explained I wanted to cancel, so she connected me to management.

It get fun here. Oh he started fast talking me saying it makes no sense to cancel since I paid a months worth already. Just use the month and then cancel. After saying no a thousand times, he still was at it, proceeded to say the agents work hard to find insurance blah blah blah so the agency fee is none refundable. And then they already emailed out the paperwork, which I signed none of it. Now they added my refund application to the list of emails papers I didn’t sign, so I asked them to email that paperwork separate. Of course no response yet.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Hi... When I signed up for this Ins the customer service was quick and helpful, I signed up with a lovely agent (**). She was great in getting me a quote and I paid over the ph and she sent me my ID cards and all her reachable info, She said when it was time for my payment I can call her and we can do it over the phone. So at that time, I called. No Ans, so I left a message NA, then I called at different times of the day. No answer, left messages, no return call, emailed, no return emails, at one time the call rolled over to another office at Military (Mitchell). She was really nice. I asked how come the office on Austin High never answered. She says the office is always open.

So I called the 8884434662 Customer Service #. The Rep that answered was unprofessional and rude, So at the end of the call she asked If there was anything else I needed help with I said, "Yes; you need to be more nicer to your customers," and I said, "You are very rude and impatience and had I have had an accident or something else had happen and that's why I would have been calling I would not want a Rep with your attitude helping me." So with a softer tone of voice, she said, "I'm sorry." I then told her I was originally thinking that I was going to get a quote for my other 5 veh's, However with their manner of assisting customers, Them, not answering the phone calls or emails I'm definitely sure I do not want to stay on with Freeway Ins.

So I made my way to 1533 Austin Highway, spoke to Mrs. ** and put in my cancellation. Shortest time I was ever with an Ins Co. 16 Days Only. What one needs in an Ins Co is for the least: Great Customer Service, Prompt Assistance, ESPECIALLY in the event of an accident, Then again their having employment depends on Customers and their Satisfaction, Hence Training and Assessments, To Better Serve Customers.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Save yourself a lot of money, time, and despair. Do not ever purchase Freeway insurance. They are the most dishonest, unethical, crooks I've ever done business with. They will tell you anything you want to hear to get your business, and know just how to word it to cover their ** legally. I asked if they charged to add on or delete a vehicle because that was a deal breaker for me. And I was informed by the nice agent on the phone. "Oh no. We will not ever charge you for adding a vehicle." They go through on the internet while you're on the phone. All their 100s of forms to sign your life away so fast you don't know what hit you, this is where all the hidden fees are.

Well needless to say first time I tried to add a vehicle at the office of our Hemet location, I was informed there is a $100 fee, later I found out that this is an broker fee not adding a vehicle fee. This is how they can lie about it, and legally get away with it. So I then tried to cancel this insurance policy, which turned into a nightmare, I went into the office and thought I covered all my bases (put in writing, dated for the 1st and reason why,). Agent faxed it over while I sat there to confirm. Then I find out they never cancelled me on the first and waited to cancel me until the end of the month for no payment. I even emailed a copy to them stating to cancel me as of the 1st because I requested due to their misleading me and they still would not cancel me as of my request.

Even after trying to call multiple times and speak with supervisor etc... no one would listen or help me. I was in tears. So I decided to make a complaint to the department of insurance with my complaint. And finally after that they decided to cancel me per my request by the requested date. And proceeded to charge me a cancelation fee of $ 70.00 after paying broker fee to start the policy and only having their insurance for two months. So buyer beware and if you decide to get your insurance through them God help you. I would love to see a class action against this deceitful, dishonest, horrible company. Hopefully if enough people get took it will happen.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I purchased Insurance with Windhaven through Freeway Insurance. I provided proof of prior insurance and was told my discounted rate will be $260 per month. After almost 3 months I realized they were charging my card over $510 per month. I called Windhaven and they stated Freeway never sent them proof of prior insurance and that is why I was charged $510 per month. Windhaven stated it is too late for me to receive my previous quote and placed a conference call to Freeway. Freeway asked them to cover the mistake made by Freeway and Windhaven said no and canceled my policy. Freeway filed a complaint for me because it was proven that I provided my previous insurance proof prior to purchasing this new quote and it was a mistake on their behalf and they owe me the overpayment amount.

I received a refund offer of only $100 instead of the total owed of $750 when the math is done based on being overcharged for the past 3 months. I kept asking to speak to someone else, all of then admitted it was Freeway's mistake, but the most I was offered to be refunded is $300, which I refused to accept because then I would be agreeing by taking that amount versus what is owed. I was told that someone will contact me next week with their final amount they will pay for their mistake. Each person offered a different amount of refund and someone who stated she was the Manager said they will not refund anything and I should have noticed in the beginning. I'll find out next week what they're going to actually pay me.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I just bought a policy from a wonderful gentleman named Richard ** (Representative Golf Course location in Rio Rancho, New Mexico). I’m on a fixed income, he gave me several options/quotes. He found me, all the things I was looking for. He is kind, patient and very helpful. Great experience!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I've never hated an insurance company till I start using Freeway. This company is so very unorganized. I was told my policy would cost me $40.00. Well received first bill I received was a disconnection notice and for $74.71. I called them immediately. I was transferred to three different people then I was discounted from the line. After calling back I ask for a supervisor. Waited on the line for over 30 mins. I was told there was nothing she could do for me. I was so ticked off. I'm so finish with this company... Bait and switch is all they do!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Classic bait and switch. Quote me one price. Then double it in person. When I reluctantly went with their policy. I was $14.00 short. Kila then said I could pay him back. I thought that was kind. Yesterday he called to remind that I owed him still. So I said I'll try to make it over to pay him. I unfortunately was unable to make it there.

As far as Freeway insurance I highly recommend that this gentleman, and I use the term gentleman loosely. Is either fired or give him a business ethic course along with a basic guideline of what proper customer service is supposed to be like. As for me I recommend that you stay away from this place. This place is shady. Go with a company like Allstate, AAA or State Farm. Their agents have to be professionals.

Original review: June 4, 2018

** from Freeway Insurance office at 510 Hacienda Dr.Ste. 108B. Vista, CA 92081 scammed me by giving me an insurance policy against my will. When I came to their office asking for an insurance quote, she was being extra friendly and distracting by asking personal questions, and repeatedly saying "trust me." She collected all of my personal information including credit card and car registration. After that, she said that she can give me a monthly price of $101, and that it is the cheapest insurance I can find in entire California, which is not true. Then, she said I need to sign couple documents that mean I approve that my information is correct and that I received her help looking for the best insurance. Again, she was rushing and distracting me from paying attention to the paperwork by asking me random personal questions.

Finally, she gave an envelope with her business card on it saying it is her contact information in case I need further assistance. One hour later, my credit card was charged $303. I gave her a call asking what happened, and turned out she sold me the insurance! In that envelope, it was a policy that had my car information wrong. I kept calling her number but she never responded. Next day, I showed up at her office and she was being very rude and avoiding giving me an assistance. She said that my money are not refundable and I cannot reverse the process. ** never responded to my phone calls and never sent me any information through email as she promised me to do.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I bought a one year policy and paid in full. 4 weeks into the policy I got a bill stating I need to pay 610 more dollars. I called and was told it was for changing my address which I didn't do nor did I move. I paid 1533.76 for the whole policy. They refuse to stand by the agreement, they refuse to drop the 610 dollar fee even though they found me to be right. They also refuse to refund me my money. The person I spoke to talked over me several times and refused to help. Both companies said the other company made the mistake. They won't even tell me how long they will honor the insurance I paid for. Never use these people. I was on the phone for 2 hours only to be interrupted and she kept talking louder when I tried to tell her I don't live at the place they have for the garaging of the car.

Freeway Auto Insurance Company Information