Find the Best Match

FIND MY MATCH
2.68/5
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings

Grange Auto Insurance

Grange offers auto, business, home and life insurance. The company is not a partner of InsuraMatch yet. To get multiple quotes at once, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

28 Grange Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We moved home and auto to Grange after over 40 years with State Farm. Up until this past week, no problems. We received our renewal notice and our premium had skyrocketed, an increase of more than 30%. There was no explanation given, never is with Grange. Called company direct, the person answering had no reason. Call our agent, even though we were accident free and violation free, we were told that it was the company’s actuaries who were the reason for our increase. Through their math models (to which no details available even to the underwriters) our household triggered one or more of the variables in their model which caused the increase. Needless to say, we will be taking our business elsewhere. In a world where everyone is clamoring for transparency, Grange is completely oblivious. They hide behind their models even when there are no claims.

Grange Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry to hear this, but we appreciate your feedback. We are sharing it with the appropriate people at Grange so we can look into it further. We hope we can work with you again in the future.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I started to take out insurance with Grange and the agent made 2 mistakes while setting up my policy. Wanted to charge me more money than I was quoted so I cancelled. I cancelled payment and when a check was mailed to me I immediately had my account charged again and not I am getting bills telling me to pay immediately. I sent proof that this was paid but did not do any good. I will complain to BBB if this affects my credit rating at all.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Norma. Please contact your independent insurance agent if you have any questions about your insurance. Please also contact our Billing department at (800) 425-1100 and we will assist you.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I was rear ended and seriously injured by a Grange insured trucking co. that had serious safety violations and should never have been on the highway. The co. had tags expired for 2 years prior, lots of safety violations, yet Grange insured them anyway. Been a nightmare and very stressful last 4 yrs filing lawsuits against Grange and we have a jury trial approaching. Grange has a whole team of in house attorneys that fight claims. They are totally unreasonable... worst insurance around.

Their attorneys have openly lied to the court, encouraged their insured to lie and fabricate falsified inspection documents, and have committed fraud on the court, by submitting counterfeit docs. I feel more victims need to come forward and hire a fighting trial attorney (not a settlement attorney) and sue this dishonest insurance co. Knowledgeable victims can also file bad faith lawsuits against Grange (many states have these provisions now), and file complaints with their state's Dept. of Insurance oversee-ers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I Purchased full coverage uninsured motor. Addition property damage. While on vacation I was hit from behind hard enough to total my 10 month old car. Grange in Columbus, Ohio did nothing accommodating (we were 11 hours away from home). Once claim was filed they came in with a low offer. The second offer just as insulting. There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it. I have never been so disgusted and disappointed in a Insurance company. I asked to escalate. No calls were ever returned. The lack of customer service or explanation has me sick.

Our suitcases were crushed. The electronic bag crushed. Everything is ruined. I’ve calculated at least $4000 worth of ruined belongings. Grange told me, "Sorry about your luck. Maybe your homeowners will cover damaged belongings." Grange Insurance is someone I will warn as many people as possible. They will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. They are not honest or kind in your time of need. I am sick that nothing is being replaced. I am sick at settlement amount. They are scam artist. The adjuster I have been dealing with is horrible and has not even looked at all the data I had to back up why those numbers were off.

Basically all I’ve heard is, "Sorry about your luck". I can pay my own appraiser. That is only thing they continued to repeat. No supervisors will return my calls. They do not care about the customer and read your policy carefully. I hope this helps someone avoid the mistake I made with having a auto policy with this scam of a company. I also paid a addition 140 for a rental that would get us home not being reimbursed. So disappointed and angry. Don’t let Grange take advantage of you like they have my claim. Thank you for reading.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Grange didn't provide efficient follow-ups with the rental company regarding rental extension and collision center regarding supplement to adjusted repair approval. This resulted in lack of notification that my rental limit had expired, therefore causing an out of pocket expense to me. We pay for rental coverage to prevent out of pocket expense other than our deductible. The repair shouldn't have lasted 3 weeks or long enough to exhaust my rental limit. However, the appraiser and adjuster played email and phone tag with the collision center regarding needed approval for supplements to repair. Grange failed to respond to the rental company when they requested if an extension would be given for my rental.

The adjuster responded two days after the rental limit had been exhausted. The rental company notifies the customer once Grange closes out rental claim. Therefore, I wasn't notified in timely manner to decide if I wanted to be responsible for the out of pocket cost or return the rental. Grange doesn't feel they are responsible to refund the money lost due to their poor response to deadlines. Grange's customer service is horrible, passing me around to various people. When asked to provide the regional manager's contact information I was informed by a call center rep and my insurance agent they are not allowed to give the number out. In no way do I want to do business with a company that limits customer access to chain of command.

I do not recommend Grange due to not working in the best interest of their customers. I found the adjuster, M. **, of my claim to be rude and to date her supervisor, M. **, hasn't contacted me to address my concern. Documentation from both the collision center and rental company show the lack of proper follow up and an effort to clean up a missed notification to the rental company. CHEAPER RATES MEANS YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BE AWARE. It's all great until you need them to make your claims process efficient and not stressful. They have lost my business and I will continue to warn other consumers.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Rhonda. We are very sorry to hear your frustration. Please send us an email at support@grangeinsurance.com and include your full name and claim number. With this information, we will be able to look into this further for you and contact you directly to assist you with your claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Grange Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 25, 2018

Grange Auto Insurance has good price, friendly and helpful customer service when I had to call. Check prices with this company before signing somewhere else.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Have not had direct claim interaction with company yet and as I deal directly with an independent insurance broker I hope not to have to but may need more user friendly website access for policyholders in the future if needed.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Thank you for choosing Grange Insurance! We offer online customer accounts via our website and our Grange Insurance mobile app where you can access your policy information, file and track a claim and pay your bill online. To set up your My Grange account, go to https://www.grangeinsurance.com/login. And please let us know if you have suggestions for improving our website or mobile app by calling Customer Care at (866) 550-9222.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I like how quickly Grange Auto Insurance take your calls and respond back to an issue when one occurs. They are also really friendly and nice for the most part and make the process smoother. However, some of the people are not quite as friendly and Put up a fight when you have multiple claims too close together even when not at fault and it become a Hassle and headache.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide both timely and caring customer service during every interaction. We will share your insights with our Claims and Customer Service departments and make improvements where needed.

Original review: April 29, 2018

As far as purchasing my policy I was referred to them by my old agent that was returning. They are friendly and fast when it comes to filing a claim. They also have the best rates for my insurance needs. And when you need to file a claim you don't have to worry about your insurance rate going through the roof because of an accident. My overall experience with my current insurance company has been excellent.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Steve. Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re happy to hear that we are meeting your expectations and we appreciate you choosing Grange for your insurance needs!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have had it since I got my license. I signed up with my parents and kept it. They have reliable and consistent customer service. Had good local agents and always reachable by phone. However, rate is high for a clean driving record. Should be cheaper with better benefits for no accuses.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Rachel. We appreciate your feedback; however, we believe it may be for the Grange Insurance Association that’s headquartered in Seattle, WA. Grange Insurance, headquartered in Columbus, OH, is not affiliated with the Grange Insurance Association in Seattle, WA.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My overall experience with this company has been positive so far. I was sent an online quote, which saved me time. I was able to ask for the same type of coverage that I had in my previous insurance policy. Since the office was local, I was able to ask questions and sign everything in person. I liked the fact that they had a local office and that I have a person that I can call directly and not just talk to an automated system. And I enjoy the fact that Grange is much more affordable than my last plan. It was also recommended to me by my boyfriend so I know it is that insurance. I have only had this policy for a few months, but it might have been nice if the representative called me to ask if I had any questions or if I was enjoying my new account.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Sue. We’re happy to have you as a customer and pleased that you have been satisfied with your experience. Please contact your local agent if you have any questions about your policy. We also recommend creating an online My Grange account at www.grangeinsurance.com or downloading the Grange mobile app to access your policy and billing information online, as well as other features like filing and tracking a claim or paying a bill. Welcome to Grange!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Grange was the only insurance company in town that allowed me to purchase home and automobile insurance at the same time at a very good price. The Grange branch in my town has a very good reputation of being honest and straightforward with their customers. The policy is easy to read and not full of jargon and claims are handle in a timely manner. A Grange representative contacts you as possible to let you know when a claims adjuster will stop by and look at your vehicle. I wish my premium would go down like other companies that offer the same benefits, like accident forgiveness when someone hits your car and leaves the scene before contacting the police.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Awesome experience from purchasing and on. The customer service is great and pricing is incredible. However, not having access online to my policy is a very big downside. I would like to have access online. Other than that, would recommend to my family...

Original review: March 27, 2018

A client of Grange's caused an accident involving four vehicles, including mine. Six weeks later, still no contact from Grange regarding compensation. Their client was cited by the police, and my insurance has found me not at fault, but the response I hear when I contact Grange is that they are still conducting their investigation into the claim to see who is liable. The adjuster for the claim is Annette **, and she has stated that she still needs to speak with one of the people involved in the accident (6 weeks later) and that the individual isn't available to speak until after 5:00, and Annette only works until 4:30. Annette said she's fine to let this go to subrogation. In other words, that they won't pay the claims from damages caused by their client unless taken to court. Believe all the negative reviews you are reading about Grange. They're true.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Kerry, thank you for your feedback. We are sharing it with our Claims department. Please contact us directly for assistance with your claim.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I was struck by a driver with Grange Insurance and have had the worst experience of my life. I was a pedestrian and was hit by their driver, which broke my ankle. After having surgery to repair it, they have stalled paying my medical providers leaving me, a single mother of 3 to struggle to make payments to them or take the hit on my credit. They have said their claims adjuster was out of the office unexpectedly, they had technical issues, peer review was taking more time unexpectedly, etc. All excuses to delay my settlement when they already accepted liability.

I’ve had to hire an attorney and after months of delays, we now have to file a lawsuit against the driver, as well as Grange for failing to act in good faith to settle this claim. I would never want to have an insurance company that would personally put me at this type of financial risk. We think our insurance companies will protect us in the case of an accident but Grange has left their insured driver in a lawsuit because they refuse to settle this matter in a timely and reasonable manner. I feel aweful for the driver as they will likely need an attorney of their own and begin to experience the stress and financial burden I have been through while dealing with Grange. Think twice before you use them to insure you, as they are not there to protect you, they are protecting themselves while leaving you open to possible financial ruin.

Original review: March 7, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY!!! We just had a comp claim due to an accident with a deer. The damage was WELL below blue book and yet they REFUSE to repair it. We were advised the adjuster said he was going to total it before he even looked at it. They have NO compassion, they WILL NOT listen to or reason with you. They know they hold all the cards and are powerless against them. They couldn't care less about what you want or need. They ONLY care about what is in their best interests - period!!!

Grange Auto Insurance response

We are sorry to hear your frustration, but we appreciate your feedback. Please contact us directly so we can look into this for you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Was rear ended by a Grange Insured semi truck with many safety violation issues. Suffered head and neck injuries. Grange drivers fault, yet I have had to go to Court for 4 years now seeking reimbursement. Grange in house lawyers stubbornly fight most claims and will cheat victims out of the fair value of their vehicles and injuries. Very shady Insurance company. Many bad reviews on insurance websites about Grange.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Grange doesn’t answer emails or voicemails and their receiving department dropped the ball. The agent lied that I should have my check on Friday. My daughter was hit by a driver with Grange Insurance. Grange does not have a claims office near me. The week before Thanksgiving they called me on a Friday, we discussed an offer for the car to be totaled (the amount had not settled) and I had three days to return the rental... Not three working days. The rental was due to be returned on Monday, I did and my daughter had no car. We looked at new cars Saturday and put a down payment down to hold till I received the Grange check.

After I called and asked, they emailed me the amount they would pay on Monday. I overnighted the papers to them that Monday and email the agent that I had. I called Tuesday at 1 pm. I asked if she had received my overnighted package (the claims agent said it had not been scanned into their system). I checked tracking and my package was signed for at 10:30 am. I called back two times and left messages. I called back at 3:30 pm and gave the agent the tracking number. She said she would message the department and find out why my package hadn’t been scanned into the system. At this point, I still had hope that I would have a check Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving).

I call a few times on Wednesday morning and left messages. I called at 2 pm and finally got the agent. I asked if my paper had been scanned in, she said they had not and she would call the responsible department. At 3 pm I called her supervisor and told him that the department that scans in received paperwork is holding up my claim. After calling and leaving messages, I finally reached the agent at 4 pm, she had all the needed paperwork, I should have the check Friday and that she would email me. That night I checked the tracking; UPS indicates the package hasn’t been picked up, was 2nd air and was scheduled to be delivered Monday. I checked again today on Thanksgiving Day, hoping that UPS just hadn’t updated. Oh... Well... Still the same.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Horrible company. I was in an accident with one of their clients and they admitted fault. Jeff **, their adjuster, proceeded to give me a low-ball offer for my car. When I told them I found their valuation unreasonable and I felt it wasn't a fair offer, they stonewalled me. They told me it was the absolute best they could do and wouldn't negotiate with me. I told them that if they can't give me a fair offer, I would have to sue their client for the money I feel is owed to me. They told me they couldn't offer me anymore, so I am filing a suit against their client because they refuse to work with me.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

Would be nice to be able to talk to someone instead of a computer. Would also be nice to be able to know someone is nearby to answer in questions I have. And the quotes seem a little off. I was told the older you get the lower your insurances goes, I still haven't seen mine go down yet.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

My auto insurance is through Grange and what I love about them is that the price is fairly low for someone who hasn't hit the age of 26 and whose mother is also under the same insurance. We can pay up or pay monthly. There's no excessive charges on my mother's bank account. They also send payment reminders. There's also room to keep getting quotes so that my mom and I can get a lower rate.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I am very pleased with the billing and contact information and their website is very friendly to move around in. I have had one claim with them recently and the lack of communication and the response that I got from them was not good. I initiated all phone conversations with the claim adjuster and emails with her supervisor. I would not use the collision repair company that I was informed that I should use as there was no correspondence with them whatsoever. I had to go through the insurance company to find out what the status of my car was. I had to have a rental for a month as it took that long for it to be repaired. Just seemed to be a hassle/fight with everything or it might still not be fixed today.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

Signed up because a friend was employed. Haven't had any issues. Very customer service oriented. Never been involved in an accident, so my dealings with the company are limited. No issues.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

The people at Grange are very helpful and always find ways to give us great insurance that works with our low budget income. We are very happy with this company and love that it is local and right in town.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

My experience has been good. They appear to work with me and have been good during accidents. I do believe they are more expensive than competitors but do not have time in my life to review my options. Plan on doing so first of the year.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I have been satisfied with our auto insurance. They are always responsive to questions. Although I haven't had any accidents, we've added vehicles to our plan and asked for recommendations on the amount of coverage needed per vehicle. We have 4 vehicles on our plan ranging from full coverage to liability to the minimal amount of coverage on a vehicle we don't drive.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

Have had this company for more than four years with only one problem. I updated my new address and phone number on their website but somehow it didn't get passed on to my local agent. Which caused a issue in contacting me when I bought a new vehicle. Thankfully I wasn't in a accident because the local agent didn't insure my new vehicle for almost 3 weeks after I bought it. And I had no idea!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

We get the coverage we need for our family, especially with two teen drivers. I have been with them for over 30 years as well as my parents. Started with them in high school and my husband switched to them when we got married. They cover auto and home.

Grange Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Grange Auto Insurance is an independent company offering personalized, localized service through a network of qualified agents with generations of experience at their disposal. They compare coverage from a variety of resources to find the perfect match for new clients.

• 80 years of service: Grange has been in business for more than 80 years, during which they've received high marks in strength and stability.

• Exclusively independent: Grange is an exclusively independent provider. This means agents are local and accessible through convenient visits to nearby office locations.

• Expertise: Grange agents are specialists in insurance and its many requirements. They will examine each case individually to find the best combination of coverage and cost.

• Personalized service: Grange Auto Insurance is more than a toll-free number on the back of a card. They have dedicated staff who you know by name and strive to provide a positive experience.

• Online access: Complete insurance-related tasks without extra hassles. Grange offers online access for simple tasks such as ordering ID cards, checking weather alerts and billing.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers with a lot of questions and drivers who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky