Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
2.79/5

Grange Auto Insurance

Grange offers auto, business, home and life insurance. The company is not a partner of InsuraMatch yet. To get multiple quotes at once, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Grange is a regional insurance company offering auto insurance to customers in the Midwest and Southeast states. It offers standard and customized insurance coverages packaged to conform with local driving and auto insurance laws within the region. Customers are satisfied with the company’s customer service and competitive rates.

PROS

• High customer claims experience
  • Standard and customized coverages
  • Great financial standing
  • Online policy management
  • Network of local and independent agents
  • Hybrid vehicle discount

CONS

• Claims response times can vary
  • Coverage limited to 13 states

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

42 Grange Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have a Grange homeowner's policy with an Inland Marine rider which covers farm equipment. During operation of the farm equipment, a tractor implement (loader) was damaged due to hitting a tree. The cost of parts to make the loader functional was significant and I turned a claim into Grange. The claim representative that I worked with, Mr. Ken **, processed the claim in a very professional manner. The claim was processed within a week with no haggling over payment for cost of the repair. I could not be happier with Grange and Mr. **'s efforts in resolving this claim. Thank you.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Nick, thank you for sharing your experience! We're so glad Ken was such a help to you during this process.

Original review: July 19, 2019

We had roof damage from storms. Our first surprise was that the policy covered the damage. An even better surprise was how quickly the claims adjuster showed up and how well he worked with our roofer to make sure that everything that should be covered was fully covered. Anytime there was a change in repairs or claim amounts, we had an amended claim form within 24 hours. The settlement checks were mailed within a week. I was happy. The roofer was happy. The adjuster was happy that we were happy. It's hard to get better than that.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Russell, we're sorry to hear about your roof damage, but glad to hear the Claim process and your Claims adjuster were able to help your home get back to normal in a quick and efficient manner! Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. We'll pass this on to our Claims department.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Tom **, Senior Claims Representative processed and managed my claim effectively and efficiently and had exceptional customer service. The claim was filed on a Friday with Monday being a national holiday. My claim had been approved, and the car was being repaired on Tuesday. I have never had such incredible service from an insurance claim and from LJI Collision services. I have a 5 star customer satisfaction!

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Ann, we're happy to hear that you're claim experience met with your satisfaction! Thank you for sharing your experience. We'll make sure to pass this along to our Claims department.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This company is awesome! I hit a deer and they worked very quickly to get my car fixed and back in working order! I called on a Monday and the car was in the shop being fixed the very next day. They had a rental waiting for me and the repair was done well.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi January, we're sorry to hear about your car, but we're so glad to hear that the process met your expectations and went smoothly for you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I've been working with Grange for the last 14 years with a catastrophic claim. Being a long period of time I've only had a couple changes in adjusters and they have all been great to work with! I would highly recommend Grange to anyone looking for insurance. Especially when those horrible accidents do happen, they are there for you. They are quick with reimbursements and have helped me in various situations over the years. Thank you Grange!

Grange Auto Insurance response

Kadi, thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We're so glad to hear that your experience with our Claims department has met your expectations and that they have been able to support you throughout this process. Thanks for taking the time to recommend us to others!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Grange Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Had a check for my claim in less than 2 weeks start to finish. This was the first time I've ever had to make a claim and they made it a very painless process for me. I would recommend Grange. Thank you!

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Rocky, we're happy to hear this! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I am not a direct customer of Grange but they have been horrific to work with after one of their clients totaled my vehicle. They are unfair/unethical in settling and I now know why attorneys are required. They unfairly valued my lost vehicle and forced us to purchase a similar vehicle that was at least 2 models below, with more miles. They would not honor extended rental coverage and expect you to find a new car within 3 days. We only wanted the same vehicle that their client "took" from us but it was impossible based on their ridiculous valuation process. Then after purchasing a new vehicle, albeit lesser in value, Grange would not even cover the registration fees for the vehicle. I will encourage anyone I speak with to avoid this company for their insurance needs. I'm honestly amazed the employees that we dealt with can sleep comfortably at night.

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Ryan. We appreciate your feedback and we are sharing it with our Claims department.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I switched to Grange Insurance about a year ago at a significant savings from my prior carrier. I couldn't be happier with the service received and timely decision after filing my first claim. Amazing!

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Cynthia! This is so great to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience. We'll make sure to pass your feedback along to our claims team, too.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have full coverage on EVERYTHING, and GAP on financed items. I have auto insurance for 2 vehicles, my condo, a camper and a motorcycle all with Grange Ins. GAP on 1 vehicle and the camper. The camper is a "recreational vehicle" only used in the summer on weekends. The campground that I have it stationary with closes from the months of Oct 31 to April 1. I filed my first claim with Grange for my camper when I made the trip one weekend before opening to get it ready for the summer season. I opened the door, and the smell of mold/mildew would have knocked you down. When I made my way through the camper, the floor was EXTREMELY soft... to the point I was afraid of falling through. With the smell alone, I had to leave and couldn't stay there.

I have an oversized full cover built over the camper, the deck that surrounds the camper on one side, that has a built in hot tub, around past the front of the camper - to fully protect it from the weather. They had an adjuster out to assess the damage, and he declared it "TOTALED." In having FULL COVERAGE to protect me and my things, I assumed it wouldn't be a big problem. I had no claims of any kind, both in driving or otherwise, and paid my insurance timely as it is AUTO DRAFTED (as someone stated earlier).

I got a DENIAL letter stating they would ONLY COVER SUDDEN AND ACCIDENTAL issues. Giving the example(s), as I have already read in previous comments, that if we had hit a deer, or a deer ran into the camper, THAT would qualify for sudden and accidental. If a limb fell out of a tree and hit the top of the camper and dented it, or it went through the top or window, THAT would qualify for sudden and accidental. But my issue, it due to a maintenance issue because the adjuster stated the only thing he could determine was a seal on the slideout was faulty, and I didn't repair it. My slideout wasn't taken in/out, and in/out - it stayed out and the cover over the camper covered it too.

Adjuster said "If the water happen to come in this direction..." and flood the camper? I remembered a year or so ago, the water heater busted. We replaced the water heater ourselves and cleaned up the water. NO I DIDN'T pull up the linoleum and the furniture in the camper, and wasn't aware that it had seeped under there. Apparently, it had, and now there is MOLD/MILDEW, and soft flooring. The adjuster suggested we not stay in it due to Black mold growing in there. OK.

So now, I have a totaled camper that I can't use, and can't afford to fix a $14,000.00 loan on it, and GAP won't cover it because primary won't. SO NOW WHAT???? OMG!!! I am sooooo MAD! You make sure you have FULL COVERAGE on everything to protect you from issues such as this, only to find out, their insurance isn't worth the paper it's typed on!! They e-mailed me 62 pages of what they WON'T cover, and how they will get out of paying on what they do cover. REALLY??? Funny, I don't remember getting that in the beginning when I first signed up with them. I have got another friend and an attorney looking over this information, because this just isn't right. So, I ask all of you... where can we go from here to fight this?? Are we really screwed?? OK! Lol. THAT'S NOT ALL FOLKS!

This camper issue began the week after 3/31/2019. Today is 5/21/2019 and still fighting it with no help from Grange. This past weekend, one of our vehicles breaks down 56 miles from home. "WAIT!! WE HAVE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE!!" Contacted the people through 24/7 customer service assistance with claims at about 1:00 p.m. Gave them the information... where the vehicle is, and where it needs to be towed to. ONLY 2 ADDRESSES! The rep advises, it won't cost us anything... "that's what you have insurance for." I advised him there was a shop right across the street who would tow it home for us for $200. Would they cover that? He states if we want to pay for it out of pocket, we could then submit the receipt with a claim, and "possibly get reimbursed." Otherwise, the contractors they have on call would get paid from Grange, and wouldn't cost us anything.

OK! Us pay $200 out of pocket and risk. NO REIMBURSEMENT, or NO COST TO US. No brainer! He states he would text me the details, and ETA. 2 hours later, no contact. My husband gets to the vehicle, and the driver of the tow truck states he was told he was towing it 2 miles down the road. What???? I gave only 2 addresses. Where did the address come from located 2 miles down the road?? The driver won't load the truck until we agree to pay $200. I contact Grange re: the issue. NO HELP. The rep states the information must have been misunderstood, although they had no 3rd address on file. They advise only 15 miles is at no charge. After that, it's $4/mile, so it was going to now cost us $165 out of pocket. Well, we had already paid the driver his insisted amt of $200 to load the truck, and tow it home. My husband didn't know, but while I was talking to Grange, they demanded the $165 by "credit card today!"

The driver is en route with the truck, gets to our home with it. My husband advises I had already paid the insurance for the tow so we would like our money back. He contacts his boss, no payment has been recv'd. He's instructed the driver, "You have the $200 in hand, give them a receipt and move on to your next job." I contact Grange AGAIN, and advise of the now issue. They ask to speak w/ the driver. They get into a screaming match out in our driveway. Driver won't return the money, and Grange won't budge either!

The driver advises every time they do a job for Grange, they have to chase their money down. They have the cash payment, they're moving on. This was Saturday, 5/18/2019, the manager Tim ** will have his manager Kimberly ** contact me first thing Monday, 5/20/2019. Tuesday 5/21/2019 5:11 - no call from Ms. Kimberly **. IMAGINE THAT!! I have called, left messages, left my e-mail address... NOTHING. I called today, she is on a call but about to wrap it up, and will call me right back - that was approx 3:00 p.m. or so. Hmmm longer call than expected.

Whoever is reading this, DO NOT reply with, "Sorry to hear your frustration" and DON'T tell me to contact customer service for further assistance with ANYTHING!!! GET ME SOMEONE WHO BELIEVES IN ASSISTING THEIR CUSTOMERS. SOMEONE MUCH HIGHER than is working in your call sites! Hope this helps to put GRANGE out of business!

Original review: May 5, 2019

My 97 year old mother has homeowners and auto insurance with Grange. She is now in a nursing home, but we keep her policies active and pay them annually for her. We changed the billing address to our home to ensure bills are paid on time and also since she no longer received mail at her residence. We received a bill for $69 on the auto insurance and $79 on the homeowners, I called to inquire about the charge since we had just paid the invoices in full for a year in April. They are charging these amounts to change the mailing address!!!! Ridiculous!!! We are shopping elsewhere for someone with a bit more compassion as to not charge a 97 year old woman in a nursing home these ridiculous fees just for changing a billing address!!!!

Grange Auto Insurance response

Hi Richard, we're sorry to hear your frustration. When the mailing address does not match the physical/garaging location a surcharge is applied. We've shared your feedback with our Billing department. If you would like additional information, please contact Customer Care.

Grange Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Grange Auto Insurance is an independent company offering personalized and localized service through a network of qualified agents with generations of experience at their disposal. They compare coverage from a variety of resources to find the perfect match for new clients.

• 80 years of service: Grange has been in business for more than 80 years, during which they've received high marks in strength and stability.

• Exclusively independent: Grange is an exclusively independent provider. This means agents are local and accessible through convenient visits to nearby offices.

• Expertise: Grange agents are specialists in insurance and its many requirements. They will examine each case individually to find the best combination of coverage and cost.

• Personalized service: Grange Auto Insurance is more than a toll-free number on the back of a card. They have dedicated staff who you know by name and strive to provide a positive experience.

• Online access: Complete insurance-related tasks without extra hassles. Grange offers online access for simple tasks such as ordering ID cards, checking weather alerts and billing.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers with a lot of questions and drivers who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky