2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.6/5 (290 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 9, 2021

I am a forty year customer of State Farm Insurance and have recently had major issues concerning quotes and billing. I added a classic truck to my policy and was quoted a decent rate under their antique/classic policies. When I received my bill it was billed as general transportation. I obtained insurance from a well known classic car insurance company and cancelled the State Farm policy. When the next bill arrived the classic truck and another vehicle that I owned and sold was was billed. I deducted the two vehicles that I didn’t need to remain covered and made my payment.

I had numerous conversations with my agent concerning this issue. Yesterday I received a cancellation notice in the mail, I have never been late or let my insurance lapse for any reason. When contacting the agent I was told State Farm was 15 to 30 days behind on billing. They are behind on updating billing and going to cancel a forty year customer. Insurance shopping is in my near future. STAY AWAY.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Terrible company and awful ethics. A car rear ended me at an intersection when I slowed down to allow a passenger getting off the bus to cross the pedestrian line. Because the car that rear ended me also had State Farm insurance, State Farm refused to recognize my claim and instead told me that I should have just sped through the pedestrian line and not slowed down. They said that they’d have found the other driver guilty if she didn’t have State Farm insurance. Go figure...

Original review: April 12, 2021

My sister purchased a $19k policy to cover our condo from the Omar Juarbe office. Our agent Dan ** has been giving us conflicting information, lied about what we were entitled to, then acted like we were being annoying because we were confused. Meanwhile, it's been three months since the fire, and we are still waiting for them to figure this out. We contacted corporate and was passed to 8 different departments because nobody seem to understand how the coverage worked. Totally unbelievable. Please don't make the same mistake we made by using State Farm.

Original review: April 8, 2021

On March 2, 2021 a State Farm insured driver turned left in front of me when I had green light. A month later I had to call them back to discover that they accept full responsibility. The agent told me I could go to any shop I desired. NOW THEY ARE SAYING... they will only cover the work and pay my rental car if I go to an IN NETWORK body shop. They changed their story and now I have begun the complaint process with the Insurance Commissioner.

Original review: April 2, 2021

MY car was stolen and then crashed by the dealership repairing it. After State Farm directing $30k+ in repairs, the car still has a bent frame, damage suspension, and engine problems. An independent inspector labeled the car 'Unsafe to drive' and has been sitting undriveable. State Farm has refused to fix the car or pay me for it. When I finally hired an attorney to force them, the case was thrown out as it was filed more than a year after the initial accident.

Original review: March 30, 2021

State Farm is the reason why people don't like insurance companies. They canceled my personal articles policy because I had a claim in 2019 and a claim in 2021. Why have insurance if you can't use it? They've been taking my premiums for years and then I file two claims and they cancel my policy. I am Never doing any kind of business with them ever again. And I am going to share my experience with everyone who asks me about getting insurance with them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Had an accident over 1 year ago, required surgery to repair knee. Jordon ** is claims specialist, he told we would be able to settle this claim in 2 weeks, well that was over 2 months ago. I call weekly and never get a call back. Registered online. Called another claim specialist, he has not returned any calls, sent email and still no response.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

My son was a passenger in a car. The driver had full coverage w/ StateFarm. My son was hit by 2 random road-rage bullets. One went thru his arm. The other grazed Gus stomach. State Farm didn’t pay a dime for his injuries.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

We purchased a supplemental "Systems" policy with our Homeowner's Insurance. 5 days ago, our electrical system failed. We have damage to several appliances. Had a licensed electrician out who assessed the situation. Yes, the system is old, thus, it now needs to be replaced. There wasn't a "surge" or "lightning" or anything else that State Farm TRIED to blame it on. It is a "system" failure. Although State Farm's VERY RUDE rep JEREMY tried to diagnose the cause over the phone trying to blame it on these things, sight unseen. Where is his electrical license? We've had a professional assess it!!!!

It is now DAY 5 without a State Farm rep at our home. We have no heat/no electricity. My husband (disabled veteran) and I have medical needs and we have an adult son with special needs. So far, State Farm has done everything they can to ignore us or come up with excuses not to pay our claim. They will not provide us lodging either.

I'm 63. Never filed a claim in my life. We bundled our car and homeowners with State Farm and trusted them to be there for us. I cannot recommend this company to anyone seeking insurance. Read the posts on Facebook about State Farm! All of these people can't be wrong as they share their complete dissatisfaction with this company. I only wish I had checked out State Farm's record before I handed them over our money. I hope to be able to interface with the local media and get them involved in looking into the matter to bring awareness to the worthlessness of these "Systems" policies that State Farm is upselling to their customers. Shame on you, State Farm!!!! Do better!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

We have been with State Farm for almost 50 years, have been mostly happy with them until I was involved in a accident a year ago where my vehicle was not even touched and the other vehicle was struck from behind. State Farm paid out to the driver without any notice. Took my safe driver discount and my insurance went up a lot. After finding out I went to my agent and he stated that there was nothing he could do because I had six insurance claims. Two broken windshields, four roadside calls for a bad battery. They paid the driver over $11,000.00 for a accident that I was not at fault for and I’m paying the price for.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information