3.9/5 (606 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: March 17, 2022

State Farm discriminates against people who have medium to lower vantage score and low income. They will not even offer you a quote unless you have what interpret as good credit. Please stay far away from them.

Original review: March 3, 2022

We had a State Farm customer crash through our commercial building. We sent in our paperwork with quotes on January 27th. As of today, March 3 we have still not received a check or even confirmation that it has been approved. I have called 7 times and I am told the same thing each time - "we are working on it". Now going on 40 days and our building is still wide open and tenants are upset.

Original review: March 1, 2022

My mailbox was destroyed by a State Farm customer. He drove off and my neighbor took a picture of his car as he was leaving. I took numerous pictures and the claim department is refusing to understand that this kid destroyed my mailbox. I called the police department on this kid. If you are not a customer of State Farm, you are screwed.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I'm a customer for over 40 years and have submitted minimal claims until I was hit by a car 2 years ago. I'm still suffering from a traumatic brain injury. I launched a lawsuit because the settlement they offered didn't cover the first medical bill. Over the 2 years, they've denied payment for legitimate medical services for which I've had to pay out of pocket or use my health insurance company. With the amount of coverage the defendant has through State Farm I will never be compensated for my loss but still their lawyers are dragging me to their specialists who of course are in support of State Farm. I always felt protected because I paid higher premiums to have a reputable insurance company. But now, I caution that despite their claim "State Farm is There", they are NOT.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Every time I've requested assistance, my State Farm agent never hesitates and always efficient without wasting any time, be it auto, or home insurance. Filing claims or making payments has always been a breeze. Questions are always explained to make sure I'm not confused and I appreciate that so much.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I was mostly happy with my State Farm Insurance until recently when I received a call from the agent telling me that they now need to assign my son to a vehicle so they can collect another $47 per month from me. I asked why and was told that "that's what State Farm wants us to do". My son has been an unassigned driver for quite a while. In fact State Farm set it up that way. I am very disappointed with State Farm.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

A motorist that had State Farm rear ended me. 100% her fault. I expected to have a dedicated team to fix the car since their motorist hit me. The service I received from state farm absolutely sucked!!!! 15 plus hours on hold to be told numerous times "oh that's not my dept let me transfer you" then on hold again 30 more minutes. I was given the 1st number to call and then I was redirected. All this happened as I was supposed to help my family decorate Christmas tree and put up lights. Instead I did what I could wearing a headset waiting. Then they paid me instead of the body shop AFTER I confirmed they would deal with them.

Their so called App that makes everything easy basically pooped for 4 days straight. I couldn't email any photos of damage and the claim status sat there and stagnated for over a week because of their "crap". I wouldn't recommend state farm to anyone. They don't care and treated me like dirt. So kiss my rear state farm. Your company needs to relocate to a sewage treatment center cause your company is literally nothing but **!!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Never buy State Farm insurance. They don't pay or cover their own insured motorist. Rip off artists. Even when their insured motorist almost killed us driving by us while parts flying from the state farm car insured struck us and almost killed one of us. State farm accepts no liability. Run. Do not buy state farm. They are con artists.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We were involved in an accident where we were stopped at a traffic light when an underinsured driver landed upside down in the back of our car. With the money provided by the other driver's insurance and the 14K offered by State Farm that pays for half the medical bills, doesn't even take into consideration pain and suffering and our understanding insured coverage is 250/500. I've been a customer with all my home, life and auto for over 35 years. What a way to treat loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Some years ago I needed auto insurance so I applied with State Farm. I put down the deposit which was over $400. State Farm took the down payment and then told me that because of some problem they couldn't give me insurance but they kept the down payment. I complained to the State of NJ and what did they do? Nothing. Like a Good Neighbor? Really?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Brendon ** (BW) Henderson, Nevada. State Farm Owner/Agent/Clown. Bet you can’t beat my State Farm (SF) experience because no insurance company or their agent has ever done this to a client and never would. I had ten years rental and five years auto insurance with SF when I called Brendon ** for a change of vehicles and he cancelled my old policy and issued a new policy and proof of insurance for my new car. The DMV refused to accept his proof insurance and I spent the next three hours with the Toyota owner, a DMV clerk, and her manager while Brandon’s office searched but never found him.

I bragged that Brendon would fix this before sunrise and the DMV felt sorry for me and my pitiful agent so they gave me my new plates. What would your insurance agent and their office do??? The next day I sent Brendon a nice text thanking his trainees for trying to find him and he ignored me for ten weeks (90 days) until our country closed and the DMV suspended my registration and tried to fine me $500. State Farm Corporate didn’t lift a finger to help. Then to cover his nonsense, Brendon played his, poor me, I’m ** race card and SF fell for it. Did I mention I’m 68, crippled since birth and dying of lung disease? You can read and see as much or as little as you like, it’s amazing!!! **

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

This is the absolute worst company ever. I had a policy and was misinformed by my agent Victoria and her team and State Farm as well. I have never dealt with such a disorganized and misleading insurance company. Damages to my vehicle are not being covered because of their incompetent employees. I was told paperwork submitted would have been enough to keep insurance in good standing and that was incorrect. Do yourself and don’t use State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

So I'm not a State Farm member, however I did help someone out that did have State Farm. My cameras had captured video of an automotive incident as well as I took pictures for the policy holder, police report. etc.. So State Farm has no way of getting media content in the year of 2021. Email was the only option, I sent a dropbox link to large video files and pictures. Their IT seems to be stuck in the 80s listening to Pink Floyd. I was happy to help, but the alternative was upload it to YouTube.. "Um.. ok." No I don't do social media, especially for items like this. So I am jaw dropped, wide eyed blown away about that and they are all ok with that. They said thank you and hung up. I feel for State Farm policy holders.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have been with State Farm for over a year now. They agents are wonderful and knowledgeable to answer any concerns that I might have. They also call me to see if I need to adjust anything in my policy.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have been calling these crooks for 3 months to get an accident resolved. Not once have they called, not once have they had a resolution and zero answers every call. Save your self some time and hire attorney on day one. BBB is next

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I have been a State Farm customer for more than two decades. I recently received a call from my local office telling me that I have to move my homeowner insurance back to them in order to keep a discount on my auto insurance. The reason I had homeowner insurance elsewhere is because State Farm pulled out of Florida after a major hurricane (I did NOT file a claim after this storm). In any event I don't respond well to threats no matter how veiled or silky they are and instead of moving my homeowner insurance back to State Farm I moved my auto insurance to my agent who helped me with my homeowner's insurance when State Farm ran out and stranded me without any home insurance.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Stay away from this agency and State Farm. They are useless in all matters. They are especially useless when it comes to problems and issues. If you have a "Payment plan", they will charge you a different amount each month with no explanations whatsoever. When asked for an explanation as to WHY each month's payment number is different, they don't provide an answer other than they will look into it. They never do and they never get back to you. This agency and State Farm has now caused me to lose 10 days of work, and has forced my son to miss 10 days of school because of their incompetence. They have no clue what they are doing, and they will cause you many hours of problems.

I thought going with a local agency after 31 years with Liberty Mutual would be a good thing. Boy, was I wrong. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired and they refuse to get back to anyone concerning issues or problems. They will be happy to provide you a phone number so YOU can try and resolve problems, but they will not lift a finger to help you. They walk away from problems and instead rely on the customer to take care of it. I had a policy with them for 19 months and will not be renewing it because of the lack of help and service from this agency. Go to another insurance agency that values your business. This agency could care less about your business. There are many insurance companies that value your business. This is NOT one of them. You have been advised.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

They are fair. My premium was discounted due to the pandemic. It increased because the world opened back up. They offer many discounts to assist you with the lowest possible rate. I can say they are concerned with their customers livelihood. I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

State Farm has excellent rates. You can get discounts for multi- car, safe driving etc. Whenever I have had a claim they paid promptly and my rates did not increase. I have been insured with State Farm for about 20 years. I have gotten quotes from other auto insures and the rates were higher with less coverage.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Have been a State Farm client for over 40 years and have had a number of claims both for auto and home. They have handled all efficiently and professionally and without raising my rates because of it. Plus my agent treats me with respect and is proactive in saving me money. VERY happy.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Notifications for price increases & when renewals are due are severely lacking in my experience with previous agent in Dallas, Texas. After being a loyal customer for many years I did not receive a timely renewal notice & was penalized by not being renewed & starting as a new inexperienced policy holder with significant increase in rating for my car despite still having home insurance with State Farm!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I've been with State Farm for over 10 years and I have always gotten great customer service. I can call at any time for a quote or to make changes to my policy and they are always very helpful. I've submitted one claim and it went smoothly!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I was hit by someone insured by State Farm. They've been doing nothing but giving me the runaround since the claim was filed. They keep saying they can't get in contact with their insured and have literally only tried once. The police report I'm glad I filed was clear their driver was at fault yet they are dragging their feet to make a decision on liability. Just know if you get hit by someone insured by State Farm they are going to hope you give up so they don't have to pay the claim to get your car repaired. My bumper is in bad shape and they do not care if it ever gets made right.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I was victim of a hit and run by someone insured by State Farm. Dashcam video forced them to accept responsibility-- almost. The bodywork on my car was done well. Yet State Farm claimed the mechanical issues were due to "normal wear and tear". That decision was made in spite of the fact that my car was serviced two and a half weeks prior to the accident-- and had no mechanical issues. The only intervening incident was the accident. So, if you have the misfortune of getting hit by someone insured by State Farm, be prepared for the possibility of a fact-free decision to deny your claim. So much for being like a good neighbor, State Farm.

Original review: July 22, 2021

My husband and I took out State Farm Insurance in the 1970's, yes this is true. In all our years of driving cars we have had a few claims on windshields in which our comprehension covered and a couple of claims when rocks hit the hood of our vehicles on the freeway. My husband noticed in May 2021 that our bumper was damaged and we had two dents on our tailgate. I think the end of the month he put a claim in. He then took the car which was a 2019 Ford Escape to the Ford dealership that we have used in the past. The damage came in at $2300.

No one responded and so he called our agent's office and the lady at the front desk explained that they did not use that dealership anymore. She gave my husband instructions to go to the Toyota dealership and to put an app on his phone to send in pictures of the damage to the claims department. He went to Toyota and they came back with a $1600 bid to replace the bumper and to repair the two dents. He presented the bid to State Farm Claims department and sent in the details of our car. VIN, Mileage and all the pictures.

About a week later, the claims department contacted us. The lady began to say "we can take care of the bumper minus your deductible but, the two dents on the tailgate above the bumper were not consistent damage to go along with the bumper damage. We laughed because of these facts. Number one, we were 70 and stayed home 90% of the year because of the pandemic. Number two we only put on 4500 miles a year on our only car. We had our groceries delivered and everything else. We did go to Centerpoint Medical Center very often because I was have pre-treatment on my left knee and finally consented to major surgery, which was a total knee replacement on 6/22/2021. We had other appts this year also. Pretty much home bound.

I explained to her to look at a damage history and also the mileage we use each year. She was telling me there was two accidents to my car and I said absolutely in no way was there. She did not believe me and continued her case against our claim. I stated with our history of driving and the extreme low mileage would we not even go along with was she said, absolutely never. I asked her if someone from the claims department could examine our car and she said that was not necessary that she had our pictures and had done this for 27 years and stated her case again. What can you do when a nasty lady in a know it all mood addresses that your one claim is not meeting what consistencies of damage are met. My husband had a body shop when he was younger for over 20 years and he was in shock. Again, look at our stellar record and tell me that again.

She also claimed that the dents had rust. My husband at this time stopped her in her tracks and stated there was not one speck of rust on our car. She ignored him. We have a $500 deductible and maybe they are cutting paying on folks that have low deductibles. My agent in Grain Valley tried to call them and had no luck. My husband took our car to the Toyota dealership and explained to the body shop that we were in a dispute with State Farm and he wanted the car repaired/replaced no matter if he had to pay out of his pocket. I was home at this time from my Total Knee Replacement and needed to have a car to go to my follow-up appointment with my orthopedic surgeon and go to my PT therapy twice a week. When John, my husband decided to pick up our car, he was told after 9 days sitting there that the dealership was told to put a hold on the repairs which we never told them that.

We have claims, agent and dealership all working against us. What can we do at this point? I will never trust State Farm again and I have been very outspoken to my adult children to look for new coverage if they have State Farm. In the meantime, my homeowner's policy came due and they deducted $2000 out of my escrow account. I am shopping for new car insurance and reading all of the reviews. Thank you for letting me vent. This has been a joke, we just want our car fixed. We would trade it in right now but inventory is so low, we can't get the color or features we love. Dianna C.

Original review: July 3, 2021

My brand new Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE 2020 was hit by someone insured by the State Farm. The State Farm fixed the car and did a great job. I really appreciate the State Farm. Now the car has an accident report and its value is about USD 26,500 based on appraisals from CarMax and Toyota Dealership. In late June 2021 and early July 2021 the minimum market value for pre-owned Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE of Year 2020 with over 11,000 miles is/was over USD 30,500 due to shortage of car chips in the industry and low inventory in dealerships. Here is the link: **. With about or less than 8,000 miles the same car will be have a value of over USD 32,000.

Now even though my car is fixed it was damaged once, so I do not want to drive it and want to buy a similar car but without an accident report. To buy a pre-owned Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE of Year 2020, which was not in the accident, I will have to pay at least USD 32,000. The State Farm offers me USD 2,200 and refusing to offer a fair market value for me to buy a car of the same quality, which does not have an accident record.

It is not my fault that someone insured by the State Farm has hit my brand new car, the value of which is substantially diminished now. Now the State Farm agent responsible for this case is bringing all possible excuses not to offer a fair diminished market value for my car. In fact until I initiated a process to determine a diminished value of the car, the State Farm has not even mentioned anything about the process.

It looks like that the State Farm even did not want me to know about the process and thus did not want to cover my car's diminished value. This is absolutely unfair and dishonest way of treating customers on the State Farm's part. I never expected that the State Farm could go so cheap to risk its reputation and trust of the customers. Does anyone have any similar experience with the State Farm or any other insurance companies? What could be done differently so insurance companies remain committed to their liabilities and respect the ordinary working class in the US. Should I go to court? What would be your advice?

Original review: July 1, 2021

I utilized the mobile app for roadside assistance for the second time on 6/29/2021 both for flat tires. Both times I have had a fantastic experience. The app is user friendly and easy to navigate. Both times I had service to my vehicle and back on the road in less than 45 min from the time I logged into the app. Both times the service people were wonderful, friendly and fast. I definitely will continue to use this service.

Original review: June 29, 2021

When my parents became elderly, I moved back in with them. My dad convinced me to drop my wonderful insurance with USAA because they would cover me under their state farm insurance which they have had for decades. They told me State Farm had never let them down. A few days later I’m in a bad part of Atlanta at 3 AM and I get a flat. It took me almost an hour to get a hold of a customer service rep and set up assistance. On the policy there is roadside assistance. When I inquired about the Assistance she told me that it was not that kind of assistance. She then proceeded to extort $100 from me before she would offer me any aid. Did I mention that I was by myself, a woman, and a bad part of town?

She then told me after I handed over the money and she made me wait to confirm the money went through. She said it would be 45 minutes before roadside got to my car to change my flat out. 2 1/2 hours later I have not heard from anybody. I have not heard from State Farm. I have not heard from roadside assistance. I finally called roadside assistance and they said it would be at least another hour. I have never been treated like this by USAA. They never would’ve let me sit here for almost 4 hours with a flat tire by myself. And they certainly would not of extorted $100 out of me before they even offered any kind of aid. Guess what I’m doing in a few hours? I’m immediately calling USAA once again and reinstating my insurance. And I will tell everyone. I will sing it from the rooftops. I will write it back everywhere. Do not get State Farm. They don’t care about you, me, or anyone. They have the worst insurance in the industry, even worse than Progressive!

Original review: June 26, 2021

Their prices are a little higher compared to other insurance companies. But I’ve been with them for over 35 years and never had a problem whenever I had a claim. They always dealt with my claim right away and got my car fixed or issued me a check.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I am a forty year customer of State Farm Insurance and have recently had major issues concerning quotes and billing. I added a classic truck to my policy and was quoted a decent rate under their antique/classic policies. When I received my bill it was billed as general transportation. I obtained insurance from a well known classic car insurance company and cancelled the State Farm policy. When the next bill arrived the classic truck and another vehicle that I owned and sold was was billed. I deducted the two vehicles that I didn’t need to remain covered and made my payment.

I had numerous conversations with my agent concerning this issue. Yesterday I received a cancellation notice in the mail, I have never been late or let my insurance lapse for any reason. When contacting the agent I was told State Farm was 15 to 30 days behind on billing. They are behind on updating billing and going to cancel a forty year customer. Insurance shopping is in my near future. STAY AWAY.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information