3.8/5 (606 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 26, 2022

They provide you with a low quote to get you signed up with a new policy. Then they threaten to cancel your new policy within one month or else you have to pay more than double your quoted rates if you want to keep your auto insurance. Their only excuse for the price hike and canceling of the policy is I have a poor credit score. It doesn't matter to this Company that I have zero claims, zero accidents, and no traffic violations on my record. These important factors should always outweigh credit score when it comes to risk factor calculation algorithms Completely deceptive, unfair price gouging, discrimination intentionally causing adverse effects to consumers. This company only cares about lining their corporate pockets. Insurance companies and their underwriters need to be held accountable for their dishonorable shady corruptive practices.

Original review: June 10, 2022

My experience with State Farm is negative. I obtained a quote for auto and homeowners insurance. The coverage was good and affordable so I went ahead with binding. After paying for the auto in full, they inform me that there is a $250 inspection required to bind the homeowners. They did not inform me of this prior, nor is the condition listed on the written quote provided. I told them to cancel. This is fundamentally dishonest and unethical.

To date, State Farm has not refunded my money. The agent won't answer my emails, forcing me to play phone tag. She has been rude, condescending and unprofessional. I've just taken my issues to State Farm corporate, the BBB, my bank, law enforcement, and all applicable FL insurance licensing agencies. NEVER do business with State Farm.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I switched from State Farm because I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed. The rates kept going up so I canceled in February and I was supposed to get a refund. Here it is now June, every time I call no one return the call. It takes days to return an email. Once someone finally reach out they say, "The check was mailed out to you." So I said, "It doesn’t take 4 months or even 1 month for a check to get mailed to you." I sent numerous emails about this and no one seem to be working on it, now if I owed them money best believe they will call and call and probably cut the insurance off. GIVE ME THE CHECK YOU ME.

Original review: May 21, 2022

"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there," slogan. The above statements from State Farm is far from the experience I had. My experience was "horrifying, very stressful, feeling nauseous but not throwing up" . On December 31, 2021 my Toyota Tacoma was hit on the driver side by a State Farm driver. The video camera clearly shows the accident. Driver B clearly has the right away (Me). Driver A crossed 3 lanes of highway traffic and crashed into Drive B. (State Farm driver)

After reviewing the video camera, State Farm stated IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN ADMISSION OF LIABILITY and refused to pay for the damage (see video). Some "State Farm associate members" told me (on the phone) that the video camera totally support Driver B, but the decision was out of their hands. I know all phone calls are recorded, hopefully, the recorded phone calls explanation from some "State Farm associate members" will throws light on their behavior.

"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there," applies to the folks that have State Farm Ins. (Everyone else contact your own insurance company). I read several stories like minds regarding State Farm not accepting liability for accidents. This type of unjustifiable, trickster and fraud behavior from State Farm needs to be exposed." It must STOP. While dealing with State Farm, they appeared to me as unconcerned, detached; they was not friendly toward me, but arrogant. Note: Geico (my insurance) was appalled and stunned regarding State Farm not accepting liability for the accident.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I was in an auto accident with another party who is insured by State Farm. I was in front of their insured and was turning right and they hit me as they were going too fast and could not stop when they seen me making a slow right turn (as my car would have scraped turning into this entrance) so he veered to the right and slid into the side of my car. State Farm denied the claim. How do you deny a claim when someone who was behind you hit you. I have a extreme issue with that scenario. The story their insured gave was not even possible. I have heard lots of complaints about State Farm paying claims. Now I have first hand experience and on a claim that was complete common sense. I think their adjusters need a extensive amount of training on what is possible and what is not. It's very frustrating and disturbing.

Original review: May 13, 2022

My incident occurred back in 11/21, I finally found a body shop, in May with a new fender, North Port Auto Body to complete my repairs, in which I paid for in total in the amount of $1,330.00. Also my bra for the front end and the damaged wheel plus shipping and tax. According to my Math I should be receiving a check for $1,367.71.. I received a check for $1,482.51, the Swansons repairs was $974.45, leaving $355,56. The total for N Port auto body is $1,330.01 less $355,56, leaving a total of $974.45, Plus 109.76 for the bra and $265,00 plus tax $18.50 for the wheel, not including shipping.

I am a claims adjuster for multi million dollar residential and commercial properties so I am familiar with the industry and this is what I have paid for my repairs as the auto industry is lacking quite a bit of parts. Nobody came and looked at my truck. I received am to receive check for $467 and change, add that to my left over amount from the first check of $355.56 for a total of $823 rounded off. $823 minus my front end bra $109.26 and my wheel, $327 is $386.74.

State Farm is telling me they replaced my fender, painted it, blended it with my door, a check for $467 and change, add that to my left over amount from the first check of $355.56 for a total of $823 rounded off. $823 minus my front end bra $109.26 and my wheel, $327 is $386.74. You replaced my fender, painted it, blended it with my door, and also replaced the fender shroud, emblems etc for $386.74! That's amazing. Stay away, rates may be decent, but their claims dept. is Absolutely horrible and unrealistic! Claim #** Timothy

Original review: May 2, 2022

Even with clear evidence they still deny claims to their own clients!! I have shown photographic proof of my vehicle damage that was done by another client who had State Farm Ins... and they still denied my claim to keep from paying... obviously, I cancelled my policy and have moved on to another company that takes care of their clients.

There were 3 cars involved in the accident... Car 2 hit my vehicle as I sat in traffic on the Highway causing significant damage... I am in Car 3...Car 1 was supposedly the originator at fault from hitting Car 2. The problem with that is... there is no damage between Car 1 and Car 2.. other than Car 1 bumper popped loose, so, while there was impact between Car 1 and Car 2... there was certainly no major damage to where it hit and knocked Car 2 into me (Car 3) and caused all of my damage to both my car rear end and Car 2 front end.. Car 2 has absolutely no damage to the rear end where Car 1 supposedly hit it.. That's because Car 2 hit me (Car 3) first... then, Car 1 might have mildly touched Car 2 after the 1st impact.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Uninsured joy rider totaled my car and First, had to fight for uninsured coverage even though it was. Then, State Farm gave me a replacement value that was wrong and lied about pre-existing damage. They gave me a valuation that didn't include the options my car had and claimed I had extensive pre-existing damage which was absolutely not true - even to the point where they said I had bare tires and I have proof they were new! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take photos of all of the condition points of the car before it was sent to the shop so I had no way to contest the condition valuation. Cut the amount I received in half.

Horrible company. Would not recommend at all. All the reviews on here are people without problems. The real reviews come up when you have real problems. I had a totaled car and I can say without a doubt State Farm was anything but helpful. In fact, they showed me they could care less about what happened and did everything possible not to pay out the actual value of my car (including by lying about pre-existing condition).

Original review: April 14, 2022

Very disappointed! I can't even remember how long I have been with this company! I have my home, 3 autos, and a life policy with them. Needless to say, I pay almost $400 a month to State Farm. I had 1 " accident". Someone lost a large object off their vehicle at night on the interstate I saw it too late and ran over it and tore the underside of my car. This is been a real eye-opener into how State Farm feels about its clients.

At one point I was told I was not a priority although it took their adjuster 3 days to get out to look at my vehicle while the days for my rental car coverage ticked away. Never thought I was asking to be a priority I was only asking them to do their job. That's what I've been paying for all these years that they would be there when I needed it as my payments were always there on time I did my job! I have been loyal to this company but now I'm seeing what happens when you need them! I'm definitely looking into other options for insurance. I used to recommend them to people but I won't be doing that anymore.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Only reason am giving them 2 stars is for several years of reasonable service. Would have given them 4 stars apart from my last experience with them, which drove me to other carrier [Farmers]. That experience was horrible customer service over the span of maybe a year with no resolution. Good for them. They failed to honor their obligations, gave me a ton of lies instead, and held onto several thousand dollars [passing that burden to me, the insured].

My experience: a sketchy dealership damaged the engine block of my vehicle, requiring a bolt hole to need re-tapped at a larger size. State Farm told me they that although I have comprehensive coverage, they could not cover damage by a mechanic's shop unless it was on their preferred provider list. That was absurd and I challenged them on that. They subsequently changed their story that they had never said that...but they had.

Then, they would only say that I would have to pay for the tear-down and then their inspection would determine if it would or would not be covered. Any attempts to get them to pin down what would invalidate coverage, assuming facts were exactly as stated [I already have independent mechanic who has indicated the damage in writing and is willing to discuss his findings with them], was met with brickwalling of Sophist word games. No straight answer possible. After trying for months, I am merely absorbing the damage caused by the mechanic, and getting a new insurance carrier.

Total Cost: About $1000 to tear down to do the repair. I have not priced the repair. Guessing another $1000...? Additionally, there is the cost of the previous "temporary" repair that was part of the interim process while wrestling with State Farm: $1000. So, guessing in the ballpark of $3000 that they reneged on, acting like I don't have comprehensive insurance that covers damage done to the vehicle by a shop.

[Side Note: the sketchy shop--another issue altogether--*REFUSED* to give me their liability insurance info so that I could file a claim through it. State Farm could, however, subrogate this claim back through their liability...but that would make waves.]

Never again State Farm for me, nor can I recommend them to others. My opinions and beliefs, only.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Our van was hit by a pick-up truck when my husband was trying to turn left from the turn lane. The pick-up bumped into our van on the right while the husband was standing. That is, the unequivocal fault of the pick-up driver. Nobody was hurt, fortunately. Immediately after the accident, the pick-up driver said that he was at fault and his insurance company would cover everything. He showed his insurance, but refused to give his phone number. My husband called the police. The police office made a report. Later, we uploaded the report - the policeman found the driver of the pick-up at-fault.

Then the causer of the accident began to hide and did not answer the calls of his insurance (State Farm). When, finally, he answered, the pick-up driver told his insurance that everything was the other way around, that my husband did not let him through and the accident was the fault of my husband. State Farm took its client's side without even looking at the police report! We have our own insurance, but now we will have to bear the deductible cost, although this accident is not our fault. Our insurance will sue State Farm. It was difficult to accept that in a civilized country, such barbaric behavior of the State Farm is quite acceptable.

Original review: March 17, 2022

State Farm discriminates against people who have medium to lower vantage score and low income. They will not even offer you a quote unless you have what interpret as good credit. Please stay far away from them.

Original review: March 3, 2022

We had a State Farm customer crash through our commercial building. We sent in our paperwork with quotes on January 27th. As of today, March 3 we have still not received a check or even confirmation that it has been approved. I have called 7 times and I am told the same thing each time - "we are working on it". Now going on 40 days and our building is still wide open and tenants are upset.

Original review: March 1, 2022

My mailbox was destroyed by a State Farm customer. He drove off and my neighbor took a picture of his car as he was leaving. I took numerous pictures and the claim department is refusing to understand that this kid destroyed my mailbox. I called the police department on this kid. If you are not a customer of State Farm, you are screwed.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I'm a customer for over 40 years and have submitted minimal claims until I was hit by a car 2 years ago. I'm still suffering from a traumatic brain injury. I launched a lawsuit because the settlement they offered didn't cover the first medical bill. Over the 2 years, they've denied payment for legitimate medical services for which I've had to pay out of pocket or use my health insurance company. With the amount of coverage the defendant has through State Farm I will never be compensated for my loss but still their lawyers are dragging me to their specialists who of course are in support of State Farm. I always felt protected because I paid higher premiums to have a reputable insurance company. But now, I caution that despite their claim "State Farm is There", they are NOT.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Every time I've requested assistance, my State Farm agent never hesitates and always efficient without wasting any time, be it auto, or home insurance. Filing claims or making payments has always been a breeze. Questions are always explained to make sure I'm not confused and I appreciate that so much.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I was mostly happy with my State Farm Insurance until recently when I received a call from the agent telling me that they now need to assign my son to a vehicle so they can collect another $47 per month from me. I asked why and was told that "that's what State Farm wants us to do". My son has been an unassigned driver for quite a while. In fact State Farm set it up that way. I am very disappointed with State Farm.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

A motorist that had State Farm rear ended me. 100% her fault. I expected to have a dedicated team to fix the car since their motorist hit me. The service I received from state farm absolutely sucked!!!! 15 plus hours on hold to be told numerous times "oh that's not my dept let me transfer you" then on hold again 30 more minutes. I was given the 1st number to call and then I was redirected. All this happened as I was supposed to help my family decorate Christmas tree and put up lights. Instead I did what I could wearing a headset waiting. Then they paid me instead of the body shop AFTER I confirmed they would deal with them.

Their so called App that makes everything easy basically pooped for 4 days straight. I couldn't email any photos of damage and the claim status sat there and stagnated for over a week because of their "crap". I wouldn't recommend state farm to anyone. They don't care and treated me like dirt. So kiss my rear state farm. Your company needs to relocate to a sewage treatment center cause your company is literally nothing but **!!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Never buy State Farm insurance. They don't pay or cover their own insured motorist. Rip off artists. Even when their insured motorist almost killed us driving by us while parts flying from the state farm car insured struck us and almost killed one of us. State farm accepts no liability. Run. Do not buy state farm. They are con artists.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We were involved in an accident where we were stopped at a traffic light when an underinsured driver landed upside down in the back of our car. With the money provided by the other driver's insurance and the 14K offered by State Farm that pays for half the medical bills, doesn't even take into consideration pain and suffering and our understanding insured coverage is 250/500. I've been a customer with all my home, life and auto for over 35 years. What a way to treat loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Some years ago I needed auto insurance so I applied with State Farm. I put down the deposit which was over $400. State Farm took the down payment and then told me that because of some problem they couldn't give me insurance but they kept the down payment. I complained to the State of NJ and what did they do? Nothing. Like a Good Neighbor? Really?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Brendon ** (BW) Henderson, Nevada. State Farm Owner/Agent/Clown. Bet you can’t beat my State Farm (SF) experience because no insurance company or their agent has ever done this to a client and never would. I had ten years rental and five years auto insurance with SF when I called Brendon ** for a change of vehicles and he cancelled my old policy and issued a new policy and proof of insurance for my new car. The DMV refused to accept his proof insurance and I spent the next three hours with the Toyota owner, a DMV clerk, and her manager while Brandon’s office searched but never found him.

I bragged that Brendon would fix this before sunrise and the DMV felt sorry for me and my pitiful agent so they gave me my new plates. What would your insurance agent and their office do??? The next day I sent Brendon a nice text thanking his trainees for trying to find him and he ignored me for ten weeks (90 days) until our country closed and the DMV suspended my registration and tried to fine me $500. State Farm Corporate didn’t lift a finger to help. Then to cover his nonsense, Brendon played his, poor me, I’m ** race card and SF fell for it. Did I mention I’m 68, crippled since birth and dying of lung disease? You can read and see as much or as little as you like, it’s amazing!!! **

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

This is the absolute worst company ever. I had a policy and was misinformed by my agent Victoria and her team and State Farm as well. I have never dealt with such a disorganized and misleading insurance company. Damages to my vehicle are not being covered because of their incompetent employees. I was told paperwork submitted would have been enough to keep insurance in good standing and that was incorrect. Do yourself and don’t use State Farm.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

So I'm not a State Farm member, however I did help someone out that did have State Farm. My cameras had captured video of an automotive incident as well as I took pictures for the policy holder, police report. etc.. So State Farm has no way of getting media content in the year of 2021. Email was the only option, I sent a dropbox link to large video files and pictures. Their IT seems to be stuck in the 80s listening to Pink Floyd. I was happy to help, but the alternative was upload it to YouTube.. "Um.. ok." No I don't do social media, especially for items like this. So I am jaw dropped, wide eyed blown away about that and they are all ok with that. They said thank you and hung up. I feel for State Farm policy holders.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have been with State Farm for over a year now. They agents are wonderful and knowledgeable to answer any concerns that I might have. They also call me to see if I need to adjust anything in my policy.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have been calling these crooks for 3 months to get an accident resolved. Not once have they called, not once have they had a resolution and zero answers every call. Save your self some time and hire attorney on day one. BBB is next

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I have been a State Farm customer for more than two decades. I recently received a call from my local office telling me that I have to move my homeowner insurance back to them in order to keep a discount on my auto insurance. The reason I had homeowner insurance elsewhere is because State Farm pulled out of Florida after a major hurricane (I did NOT file a claim after this storm). In any event I don't respond well to threats no matter how veiled or silky they are and instead of moving my homeowner insurance back to State Farm I moved my auto insurance to my agent who helped me with my homeowner's insurance when State Farm ran out and stranded me without any home insurance.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Stay away from this agency and State Farm. They are useless in all matters. They are especially useless when it comes to problems and issues. If you have a "Payment plan", they will charge you a different amount each month with no explanations whatsoever. When asked for an explanation as to WHY each month's payment number is different, they don't provide an answer other than they will look into it. They never do and they never get back to you. This agency and State Farm has now caused me to lose 10 days of work, and has forced my son to miss 10 days of school because of their incompetence. They have no clue what they are doing, and they will cause you many hours of problems.

I thought going with a local agency after 31 years with Liberty Mutual would be a good thing. Boy, was I wrong. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired and they refuse to get back to anyone concerning issues or problems. They will be happy to provide you a phone number so YOU can try and resolve problems, but they will not lift a finger to help you. They walk away from problems and instead rely on the customer to take care of it. I had a policy with them for 19 months and will not be renewing it because of the lack of help and service from this agency. Go to another insurance agency that values your business. This agency could care less about your business. There are many insurance companies that value your business. This is NOT one of them. You have been advised.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

They are fair. My premium was discounted due to the pandemic. It increased because the world opened back up. They offer many discounts to assist you with the lowest possible rate. I can say they are concerned with their customers livelihood. I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

State Farm has excellent rates. You can get discounts for multi- car, safe driving etc. Whenever I have had a claim they paid promptly and my rates did not increase. I have been insured with State Farm for about 20 years. I have gotten quotes from other auto insures and the rates were higher with less coverage.

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information