3.8/5 (607 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About State Farm Auto Insurance

State Farm is well known for its auto and homeowners insurances. When you request an auto coverage quote, State Farm suggests one of its three levels of protection. You can also select add-ons and see if you qualify for discounts. The company has a large network of local agents to assist with policy management.

Pros

• Intuitive website and mobile app
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Many local agents

Cons

• Not the cheapest option
  • Quotes require personal info

Bottom Line

State Farm is an insurance provider with nearly a century of experience. Its car insurance rates are fairly standard, but you can apply for discounts or bundle policies to save money. It has more than 19,000 local agents nationwide.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

State Farm Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about State Farm Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 3, 2021

My brand new Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE 2020 was hit by someone insured by the State Farm. The State Farm fixed the car and did a great job. I really appreciate the State Farm. Now the car has an accident report and its value is about USD 26,500 based on appraisals from CarMax and Toyota Dealership. In late June 2021 and early July 2021 the minimum market value for pre-owned Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE of Year 2020 with over 11,000 miles is/was over USD 30,500 due to shortage of car chips in the industry and low inventory in dealerships. Here is the link: **. With about or less than 8,000 miles the same car will be have a value of over USD 32,000.

Now even though my car is fixed it was damaged once, so I do not want to drive it and want to buy a similar car but without an accident report. To buy a pre-owned Hybrid Toyota Camry XLE of Year 2020, which was not in the accident, I will have to pay at least USD 32,000. The State Farm offers me USD 2,200 and refusing to offer a fair market value for me to buy a car of the same quality, which does not have an accident record.

It is not my fault that someone insured by the State Farm has hit my brand new car, the value of which is substantially diminished now. Now the State Farm agent responsible for this case is bringing all possible excuses not to offer a fair diminished market value for my car. In fact until I initiated a process to determine a diminished value of the car, the State Farm has not even mentioned anything about the process.

It looks like that the State Farm even did not want me to know about the process and thus did not want to cover my car's diminished value. This is absolutely unfair and dishonest way of treating customers on the State Farm's part. I never expected that the State Farm could go so cheap to risk its reputation and trust of the customers. Does anyone have any similar experience with the State Farm or any other insurance companies? What could be done differently so insurance companies remain committed to their liabilities and respect the ordinary working class in the US. Should I go to court? What would be your advice?

Original review: July 1, 2021

I utilized the mobile app for roadside assistance for the second time on 6/29/2021 both for flat tires. Both times I have had a fantastic experience. The app is user friendly and easy to navigate. Both times I had service to my vehicle and back on the road in less than 45 min from the time I logged into the app. Both times the service people were wonderful, friendly and fast. I definitely will continue to use this service.

Original review: June 29, 2021

When my parents became elderly, I moved back in with them. My dad convinced me to drop my wonderful insurance with USAA because they would cover me under their state farm insurance which they have had for decades. They told me State Farm had never let them down. A few days later I’m in a bad part of Atlanta at 3 AM and I get a flat. It took me almost an hour to get a hold of a customer service rep and set up assistance. On the policy there is roadside assistance. When I inquired about the Assistance she told me that it was not that kind of assistance. She then proceeded to extort $100 from me before she would offer me any aid. Did I mention that I was by myself, a woman, and a bad part of town?

She then told me after I handed over the money and she made me wait to confirm the money went through. She said it would be 45 minutes before roadside got to my car to change my flat out. 2 1/2 hours later I have not heard from anybody. I have not heard from State Farm. I have not heard from roadside assistance. I finally called roadside assistance and they said it would be at least another hour. I have never been treated like this by USAA. They never would’ve let me sit here for almost 4 hours with a flat tire by myself. And they certainly would not of extorted $100 out of me before they even offered any kind of aid. Guess what I’m doing in a few hours? I’m immediately calling USAA once again and reinstating my insurance. And I will tell everyone. I will sing it from the rooftops. I will write it back everywhere. Do not get State Farm. They don’t care about you, me, or anyone. They have the worst insurance in the industry, even worse than Progressive!

Original review: June 26, 2021

Their prices are a little higher compared to other insurance companies. But I’ve been with them for over 35 years and never had a problem whenever I had a claim. They always dealt with my claim right away and got my car fixed or issued me a check.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I am a forty year customer of State Farm Insurance and have recently had major issues concerning quotes and billing. I added a classic truck to my policy and was quoted a decent rate under their antique/classic policies. When I received my bill it was billed as general transportation. I obtained insurance from a well known classic car insurance company and cancelled the State Farm policy. When the next bill arrived the classic truck and another vehicle that I owned and sold was was billed. I deducted the two vehicles that I didn’t need to remain covered and made my payment.

I had numerous conversations with my agent concerning this issue. Yesterday I received a cancellation notice in the mail, I have never been late or let my insurance lapse for any reason. When contacting the agent I was told State Farm was 15 to 30 days behind on billing. They are behind on updating billing and going to cancel a forty year customer. Insurance shopping is in my near future. STAY AWAY.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Terrible company and awful ethics. A car rear ended me at an intersection when I slowed down to allow a passenger getting off the bus to cross the pedestrian line. Because the car that rear ended me also had State Farm insurance, State Farm refused to recognize my claim and instead told me that I should have just sped through the pedestrian line and not slowed down. They said that they’d have found the other driver guilty if she didn’t have State Farm insurance. Go figure...

Original review: April 12, 2021

My sister purchased a $19k policy to cover our condo from the Omar Juarbe office. Our agent Dan ** has been giving us conflicting information, lied about what we were entitled to, then acted like we were being annoying because we were confused. Meanwhile, it's been three months since the fire, and we are still waiting for them to figure this out. We contacted corporate and was passed to 8 different departments because nobody seem to understand how the coverage worked. Totally unbelievable. Please don't make the same mistake we made by using State Farm.

Original review: April 8, 2021

On March 2, 2021 a State Farm insured driver turned left in front of me when I had green light. A month later I had to call them back to discover that they accept full responsibility. The agent told me I could go to any shop I desired. NOW THEY ARE SAYING... they will only cover the work and pay my rental car if I go to an IN NETWORK body shop. They changed their story and now I have begun the complaint process with the Insurance Commissioner.

Original review: April 2, 2021

MY car was stolen and then crashed by the dealership repairing it. After State Farm directing $30k+ in repairs, the car still has a bent frame, damage suspension, and engine problems. An independent inspector labeled the car 'Unsafe to drive' and has been sitting undriveable. State Farm has refused to fix the car or pay me for it. When I finally hired an attorney to force them, the case was thrown out as it was filed more than a year after the initial accident.

Original review: March 30, 2021

State Farm is the reason why people don't like insurance companies. They canceled my personal articles policy because I had a claim in 2019 and a claim in 2021. Why have insurance if you can't use it? They've been taking my premiums for years and then I file two claims and they cancel my policy. I am Never doing any kind of business with them ever again. And I am going to share my experience with everyone who asks me about getting insurance with them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Had an accident over 1 year ago, required surgery to repair knee. Jordon ** is claims specialist, he told we would be able to settle this claim in 2 weeks, well that was over 2 months ago. I call weekly and never get a call back. Registered online. Called another claim specialist, he has not returned any calls, sent email and still no response.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

My son was a passenger in a car. The driver had full coverage w/ StateFarm. My son was hit by 2 random road-rage bullets. One went thru his arm. The other grazed Gus stomach. State Farm didn’t pay a dime for his injuries.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

We purchased a supplemental "Systems" policy with our Homeowner's Insurance. 5 days ago, our electrical system failed. We have damage to several appliances. Had a licensed electrician out who assessed the situation. Yes, the system is old, thus, it now needs to be replaced. There wasn't a "surge" or "lightning" or anything else that State Farm TRIED to blame it on. It is a "system" failure. Although State Farm's VERY RUDE rep JEREMY tried to diagnose the cause over the phone trying to blame it on these things, sight unseen. Where is his electrical license? We've had a professional assess it!!!!

It is now DAY 5 without a State Farm rep at our home. We have no heat/no electricity. My husband (disabled veteran) and I have medical needs and we have an adult son with special needs. So far, State Farm has done everything they can to ignore us or come up with excuses not to pay our claim. They will not provide us lodging either.

I'm 63. Never filed a claim in my life. We bundled our car and homeowners with State Farm and trusted them to be there for us. I cannot recommend this company to anyone seeking insurance. Read the posts on Facebook about State Farm! All of these people can't be wrong as they share their complete dissatisfaction with this company. I only wish I had checked out State Farm's record before I handed them over our money. I hope to be able to interface with the local media and get them involved in looking into the matter to bring awareness to the worthlessness of these "Systems" policies that State Farm is upselling to their customers. Shame on you, State Farm!!!! Do better!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

PJS Towing and Recovery. I received this service through State Farm. I had to use them twice in one week. We thought my battery was low due to the cold, but when after a few days I thought the battery was dead and I needed a tow, they came and jumped it again. They were in constant communication about their ETA, and arrived on time each time. The guy advised that, after diagnosing my alternator, it was my battery and that I should replace it. He also advised me on replacing my jumper cables to a higher quality brand. Great company!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

We have been with State Farm for almost 50 years, have been mostly happy with them until I was involved in a accident a year ago where my vehicle was not even touched and the other vehicle was struck from behind. State Farm paid out to the driver without any notice. Took my safe driver discount and my insurance went up a lot. After finding out I went to my agent and he stated that there was nothing he could do because I had six insurance claims. Two broken windshields, four roadside calls for a bad battery. They paid the driver over $11,000.00 for a accident that I was not at fault for and I’m paying the price for.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

It has locked keys inside service, roadside service, tow service, car rental when yours breaks down on the road, and so much more just by calling one phone number. Or if your car or truck has On Star you can get a discount for it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

My daughter had a wreck and called our insurance company that called roadside assistance. 4.5 hours and no one showed up. The insurance company called some days later asking where was it towed to, I told them it was not towed. After waiting 5 hours my daughter took a very dangerous chance and drove it home off the street.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Had to wait over 24 hours for them to respond to my home. Too many phone calls. Some representatives were not knowledgeable. In the end, the young man who showed up to my house keep having to run to the store to buy stuff he should have had, so it took him over 2 1/2 hours to change a battery that was at least $50 over priced.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

State Farm is very good friendly people & I feel good rates on home & auto's. They also have other options such as savings.. I have been with them for approx 25 years. I ran out of gasoline & they got someone to help me. My car wouldn't start & they sent a tow truck..

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

State Farm has always been a peace of mind in any kind of homeowners nightmare so adding our vehicles to the insurance policy was definitely a no-brainers. Good to know that State farm has my best interest at heart.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

This is a terrific insurance. They give you special rates when you bundle. They also have special discounts for teen drivers in the household which include one for good grades and for also being a safe driver, as in no accidents or speeding tickets.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

It's been good company for me. Dependable auto insurance. Always got my back. Fast claim and good service and good prices. I got into accident 2 years ago and they were very helpful with my claim and they fix my car right away and people at the claim center are very helpful.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

We have been with State Farm for over 30 years. Combining car, home, etc. helps to get the discounts. Every once in a while we check with other companies to compare rates and State Farm has worked out to be the best rates and coverage.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I have been with State Farm for several years now and am pretty happy with them overall. Whenever I've needed roadside assistance help it has been reliable and fairly quick getting to me. I haven't had any collision claims so far so I can't speak about quickness or response time regarding that but I would think it would be rather seamless. I have both renter's insurance and my auto insurance with them and they seem to be fairly priced but I may have a look around for price comparisons if I get a chance. Their personnel are always friendly and helpful and that's something I really like. No automated answering systems at their office so I can deal with an actual human when I call to make a payment which I'm happy about.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

State Farm has always taken excellent care of my family and me in the areas of car, home, and life insurance. The absolute best car insurance coverage I have ever had, and I have tried others in my 43 years of marriage, is by far State Farm. They have always covered repairs on our cars when we were in accidents without question and without raising our rates. There are discounts you automatically receive for increments of years of loyalty in staying with them. I can count on my local agent to answer my call immediately or within 2 hours, if after his hours. I have heard horror stories from colleagues at work about insurance companies that would not even cover their accident because, for example, there was not enough "proof" that it was a deer that hit the car. That does not happen with State Farm, as we experienced in the case of our daughter's late night deer accident. They covered us thoroughly anytime we had an accident.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

State Farm is a good auto insurance and they are on top of everything that involves the automobile that you are driving and you are able to call them any time you need them. They make you feel good that you are in hand as far as insurance.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I was with another company for years but when I had to put my child on my policy the company wanted to raise my premium an ungodly amount. I shopped around and found a plan with better coverage and adding my child was a third of what the other company wanted.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I had this auto insurance 5 years ago when I was in my first (and hopefully last???)major auto accident. Although the accident wasn’t my fault, State Farm made me jump through hoops before even considering to allow me access to my PIP insurance for $2500. Once the PIP was exhausted on my initial ER visit, and I already gave my statement to State Farm, they seemingly wanted nothing more to do with me. Two months after this accident, my semiannual statement arrived...it was $150 more than what I’d been paying for the past 3 years! When I called to inquire I was told the rate increase was due to the accident despite the fact it was determined that I was not at fault! I called Geico, got a way cheaper rate for the same exact coverage, switched that day and never looked back! State Farm is one of the worst companies out there; avoid at all costs!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

They have been really good to us for the years we have been with them. Only bad thing is they need to lower our rates. We have had no accidents ever and have no speeding tickets on our records. Customer service is extremely nice.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

This is the worst insurance company EVER! I would never be a customer of State Farm. Their claims dept. works as a team of over 300 and a supervisor clearly told me they do not use pictures or a police report to make decisions on their investigations of an accident. So where is the "investigation", I ask? They take the word of their insured always to base their decision and then place partial blame on the person hit (20%)! Seriously? The poor insured doesn't even know their own insurance company isn't paying out their claim in full. So what happens? To court....I go!! What a joke company! Way too many commercials to pay for, I guess. Don't let that stupid Jake fool you!

State Farm Auto Insurance Company Information