Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
3.21/5
Based on 1,491 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

3852 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

Progressive changed my zip code on one of my 3 cars insured randomly to a zip code I have never been in let alone lived in and raised my insurance by triple due to bad area. I called to have resolved then sent in documents to prove residence. They never fixed it. I called back 2 weeks later and they said the document wasn't good enough. I spoke to a "supervisor" Jessica who decided to tell me it's my fault for not sending "proper document". This is a scam. They do this in hopes folks don't notice and just blindly pay it!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

A truck did not see our car coming and pulled out in front of us. The car sat at the tow company for a week before Progressive picked it up and towed it to their lot. After that they totaled the auto. That was 2 weeks ago. No money yet because the other company wont admit their driver was at fault so they won't pay anything. What!!! The police report stated the other driver did not see our car. Shouldn't Progressive fight for us to get us the full value of the car plus rental etc? Very ???? angry that we cannot get anything done. Oh and I called today Monday but our claims agent is on vacation this week. So next week will be 4 weeks. What does a person do?

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Progressive Insurance completely jerked me around on a recent claim. After I paid my deductible ($1,000) and used their preferred provider near where I live, only the cosmetic damage was corrected from my accident, not the under-body damage that was making my car unsafe to drive. I didn't care about the scratch on my car, I cared about the functionality of my car.

After this, my car was at the dealership where I bought it and they communicated to Progressive what work needed to be done. Progressive sent out a local rep (Josh ** & Steve something) several times who approved of the bodywork and said they would cover it under the initial claim. After all the work was complete, Progressive said that they wouldn't cover the work and that there was nothing I could do about it. I then had to pay $1,700 (three weeks after paying $1,000) to get my vehicle back. I haven't had my car in 5+ weeks and have invested almost $3,000 into it. I felt that they tricked me because I don't know a lot about cars or how to file an insurance claim. I will be switching providers after being with their company for almost two years now. I would rather pay more and support a company that will support me.

Original review: March 15, 2019

After my daughter was in a minor accident, we notified Progressive and after two weeks of waiting for a a reply, I finally called. I was told that they are not covering the claim and my policy was canceled. I was paying for a policy with myself and a minor on it as to not have a problem if there were any accidents or tickets. My daughter is also listed as a driver of another car that she bought as a driver of that vehicle. They mentioned words like fraud and misrepresentation in regard to my fully paid policy. They were not only unreasonable, but were also rude and accusatory on the phone. They insisted on a recorded conversation to provide them with any possible loopholes they could use to avoid paying a claim. Think twice before obtaining any type of insurance policy with this company. They are not there for their customers. I have spoken to others who have had similar types of experiences with this company.

Original review: March 15, 2019

When I advised Progressive that my wife had passed they increased my auto insurance by 22 percent but left my house alone. Hard to understand that by reducing the driving by 50 percent that would get you large increase in premium.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I switched to Progressive because Allstate wanted to double my insurance when I bought a new truck. Allstate would not lower it for anything. Funny side story... After I switched I got an ad in the mail for Allstate offering me lower insurance. Anyway, I stuck with Progressive for a little while. Filed a claim once (non-fault) and it was zero hassle. Someone else (driver) tried to scam me by taking a picture of my license plate and proceed to file a fake claim. They even filed a hit and run police report on me. Progressive stuck by my side and found me 0% at fault.

So you would think I would be super happy with them right? Well... All of that is $2,400 a year for a Nissan Titan. Every single person I talked to that had the same type truck as me is paying no more than $800 a year. What the heck? I have no points, good driver... I just don't get it. Those other companies might be more of a hassle to work with but at what cost? $1,600 a year? Yeah, I'll gladly be on hold a little longer for $1,600 a year!!! Oh and to top it all off, all these other people I talked to, have almost double the coverage!

Original review: March 13, 2019

The insurance in Colorado Springs is too expensive. I canceled my Progressive insurance because I found it cheaper elsewhere. I paid the new company and contacted Progressive to cancel my policy. They were paid in full. They still billed me another $150 and demanded payment so I paid even though I was covered under Allstate. Law requires them to refund my $ but guess what? That check never came and who do you call? A 1-800 # with a voice prompt to eventually talk to someone who has no power to do anything. You steal people's money and give nothing. Reviews are powerful and are being utilized more and more. We need it. We the people are tired of being robbed!

Original review: March 13, 2019

My name's Svetlana **. My car was hit 03.01.2019 in the parking lot next to BJ's store. Attendant of parking lot called to police, Police officer prepared report case # ** and said to me call call to my insurance. I have Progressive Insurance and call to representative about claim. My claim number is #**. Claim representative called me next morning and said to me that I had no coverage and I need to apply to Police Department and try to find person who this crash. I'm retiree. 72 years old. I don’t know how I can prove my problem now. I live in USA more than 27 years and never had the same problem.

It is my arguments. You can check all dates according my documents. I selected Quote #** 10/07/18. I received bill for payment 10/08/18. I paid full amount For Auto policy 10/09/18. I received letter from Progressive about my full payment for 6 months 10/09/18. I printed my ID cards/Proof of Insurance 10/09/18. I didn’t change any word in my Insurance policy. You can check all my information. What are the problems? Why I, citizen USA, retiree, need to check mistakes representatives Of Progressive agency? I worked with Progressive agency before and didn’t have any problems With my Insurance. Svetlana **.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I regret that this place worked on my classic 1987 Pontiac Fiero. The repairs were supposed to be a surprise Christmas present in 2018. The thought of this place and the damage done to my car while in Progressive's care is a nightmare. The car had 3/4 a tank gas when it was brought in, but was on empty when it was picked up... that's 150 miles of test driving/running the engine. Their mechanics damaged the manual transmission by mishandling during excessive test driving. I picked the car up Feb.7, 2019 and immediately heard a grind in 4th gear. There was nothing wrong with the manual transmission when it was brought in. Someone at Progressive mishandled the gearshift and now it grinds when it's shifted into 4th. The tires were newer, but after leaving Progressive they had noticeable tread wear. They broke the door key off into the trunk and did not replace it,even though there is a trunk release inside the car that pops the trunk open.

The inside of the car was left grimy and dirty, car mats had a lot of debris... and someone messed with the radio in the car. It was a big mistake believing Progressive could do moderate/major work at this place on a rare classic car....starter, water pump, heater core, front pads... nearly $3,000 of work. They had the car for 6 weeks total, way too long: They drove it excessively... and gave it back to me with the manual transmission grinding. I have had this car for 27 years, it's been semi-restored, clean, garage-kept for the past 15 years. The manual transmission that Progressive damaged had no more than 300 miles on it... and that includes the last transmission flush. I do not recommend them.

Original review: March 8, 2019

On June 6th @ 2:30am of 2001, my 1996 Ford Ranger pick-up was destroyed in a fire by an arsonist. The police and fire department of the city I lived in at the time took a statement from me and arrested the suspect. My truck was taken away to the salvage yard as it was totaled/un-drivable. I contacted Progressive. Told them what happened. I was on the phone for at least over an hour or so with them. They took my statement and told me that an agent from Progressive will contact me in the morning.

I took the day out of work that morning and told my employer as to what happened. I later received a call from the insurance adjuster. He asked me to get copies of the police and fire department reports and to come to visit insurance department office. I got the necessary information and saw him the following day. He took my statement by audio recording. A few days passed he then called me and told me that the truck payout can only be for the book value for the year of 2001 so there will be a balance still owed. I asked him if he told Ford Credit what happened to the truck and he said to me yes. I was NEVER told about something called "gap" insurance. I later contacted Ford Credit and they stated that nothing was mentioned about a fire.

On November of 2003 I purchased another vehicle which was a 1994 Dodge Intrepid and I was getting ready to apply insurance on the vehicle by a new insurance provider named Geico. As I was going thru the application process, they notified me that there was a discrepancy on my record labeled as a collision. I explained to the insurance representative that in the 14 years I have been driving, other than 2 moving violations I have NEVER been in an automobile accident in my life. This has to be a mistake. I then called Progressive and questioned the adjuster that filed the claim on my behalf. He apologized, insisted it was an error and he would write a letter to my new insurance company. This immediately looked very suspicious to me.

In December I decided to switch to a new insurance company called Travelers Insurance and I told them as to what was happening and gave them free access to check my driving record and to notify me if that collision is still on my record. Sure enough, Progressive did not make good on their promise to remove that so-called error off my record. Not only that, Ford Credit has contacted me to demand payment for the amount of $1000 still owed on the truck. I told Ford that the truck was destroyed by a fire. The customer service rep told me that Progressive told them that I was involved in an accident and the vehicle was totaled.

I contacted the state Insurance investigator's office and told them as to what happened and they in turn notified Progressive. Progressive responded back with a letter saying that again they apologize to me and that the claim was paid in FULL and there was an error and has since been corrected. Fed up, I decided to get the local media involved and force Progressive to acknowledge what was going on, that my driving record was seriously compromised based on false information. I also threatened Ford credit letting them know what was going on dealing with my previous insurance company. I made it very clear that if I win this fight with Progressive, they are next.

As it turns out, there is a company named Choice Trust that has all kinds of credit and other personally identifying information on people that companies such as Progressive report to. The reporter not only had a good consumer alert story to tell the public, she got me in contact with Choice Trust via their phone number. I was on the phone with a rep from Choice Trust explaining to them what happened. The woman looked at my record and told me that it said it was a "collision/no driver" listed. I explained to her that this was a fire. And she had the same question that everyone else had: "Why wasn't this listed as a fire?" Good question.

After that media report came out a few days later, Progressive FINALLY cleared my record. That was in March of 2004. I also told Ford Credit that I was essentially screwed by the insurance company, the money still owed on a vehicle I no longer have as it was destroyed by an arsonist was not my responsibility and I will fight them viciously. Ford sent me a letter saying they investigated what happened and found that gap insurance was not purchased and that Progressive the insurer I had at the time did nothing wrong. They decided in good faith to waive the remaining amount I owed on the destroyed vehicle. My credit and driving record was restored. I was beyond furious. I will NEVER trust Progressive insurance ever again. I still want to know why it took Progressive nearly 5 MONTHS to clear their "mistake"?

Original review: March 8, 2019

I came from Australia and got my insurance through them - recently had a policy renewal and the rates went up excessively. I did not get get any ticket last August. Have had no accidents. When I called customer service and asked how we could lower the rate they went through robotic motions verifying my address etc. and said that was the best they could do... They have no "loyalty" program at all. One more thing is the snapshot after 6 months I got $3!?

Original review: March 8, 2019

My husband and I have been with Progressive Auto Insurance for years - we recently had a policy renewal and the rates went up excessively. I did get a speeding ticket last August (the first ticket in 25 years). I am not a repeat offender and have had no accidents. When I called customer service and asked how we could lower the rate they went through robotic motions verifying my address etc. and said that was the best they could do... They recommended that I get a new quote.

The gal I was sent to seemed puzzled that I wanted a new quote and told me the renewal was the new quote that is as good a rate as possible... We have been loyal customers for years and are part of a "loyalty" program - I guess I just didn't realize that the loyalty was only one way... The complete lack of care and help was pathetic and not only have I lost confidence in the rates of this company, but I have also lost 20 minutes of my life being on hold and experiencing lackluster service... They must not be concerned about retaining good customers. I will have to take a good look around at what other companies offer.

Original review: March 7, 2019

In 3 weeks my price kept changing. I am an existing customer, replaced a vehicle on my coverage and my quota dropped $204, great! But wait, received an email two days later and it dropped to $234, instead of $204, got a refund, fantastic! But wait, almost 3 weeks later and it changed again, had to pay them $130 more. Let's see if they contact me once again with another price change.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Progressive Auto Insurance is the ABSOLUTE BEST!!! Fast and very friendly service. I have not had to wait for anything, they have been right on top of everything. They even waited on the line for nearly 45 minutes because I was having trouble with my credit card at the rental place. I will always deal with Progressive and I will definitely recommend them to other people! Thank you Progressive???

Original review: March 5, 2019

After 15 years of a perfect driving record with State Farm, I changed to Progressive for better rates. I was shown that the SNAPSHOT program can give me better savings by tracking my driving. As I have never had a ticket or an accident, I gladly accepted the SNAPSHOT program feeling confident that my rates could only get better. How WRONG I was to think such a thing. My rates went up due to what Progressive calls heavy braking. They also told me that they monitored mileage, and speed. As I drive a F-350 (One Ton) Truck, for mostly commuting to work (less than 1000 miles a month), Progressive deemed it necessary to raise my rates.

Customer service from the SNAPSHOT department need a serious overhaul of their customer service skills. As I work for Southwest Airlines as a Flight Attendant, I know Customer service and what Progressive did to me was very disturbing. No Apology, no acts of kindness, no thank you for doing business with them. I was treated so much better at State Farm. Good thing we have choices on insurance companies.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I made a claim over a month ago and I'm still getting the runaround in getting my car fixed. Every time I called it was a different excuse as to why my vehicle has not been repaired. They had an adjuster come out to inspect my car. He emailed me a list of repairs, and how much it would cost to get the vehicle repaired. I have been paying for a rental out of my pocket, and have not reached the maximum of my $600 per occurrence. The most that they have paid out of that is $402.93. I have spent $703.23 of my own money for a rental. That is ridiculous. My total charges for the rental is $1,106.16 that I didn't have to spend. I could have put that on other things that I needed to put it on. I want to be reimburse for all of the money I have spent on this rental. After everything is done I'm going with another company.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I was first quoted $109 a month ($654 for 6 months) and I was so happy. Within 2 weeks, I was informed that my premiums would be increased to $2279 because they were adding all of my 3 no license, no driving children to the policy because they live in the house with me and my take the car without my permission and be in an accident. This is sick. So, I canceled and they told me that I still owed them $609. I was so pissed, but I have to pay because they will put in on my credit.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I purchased auto insurance online, paid in full with a debit card that had the same address as mine. A few weeks later they take issue with that address, but email and letter sent to that address. I'm told a credit agency informed them and I should call them, asked for manager, informed of address issue send proof. At the time, both vehicles have their location devices in them. I send proof with a W2 form. Informed them moved to another RV park 15 miles down the road, again wants proof, more phone calls. Been with 1 insurance company for 25 years, zero accidents and tickets with average to above average credit. Horrible experience.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I've had Progressive for auto and renter's insurance for a long time (12 years or more). I haven't had any claims the whole time until 2018. The claims rep was terrible and the whole process was very time-consuming. They tried to get me to pay a deductible for repairs on a "no-fault" accident. The other party was actually at fault but it was documented as no-fault. Had to speak with a manager to get the matter resolved so that I didn't have to pay unnecessary fees. The manager promised my premium wouldn't increase as a result of the claims.

Within months, my renewal letter came and the premium increased by 27%. The three people I spoke with at Progressive insisted that the increase wasn't because of the claims in 2018. They couldn't give an explanation, other than maybe there are more claims in my neighborhood, or more people are moving into my neighborhood, and insurance rates in my city are rising in general. This is ridiculous and they should be able to provide a reason as to why I'd have to pay 27% more! I had to open a new policy and opt for less coverage in order to decrease the premium by about 23%. So a brand new policy is better than the policy I've had for 12 years... Makes no sense. So 12 years as a paying customer means nothing?!

Renewed renter's insurance policy and stated twice during phone call that I wanted to pay in full. Asked for credit card authorization number and was told they couldn't give me one... Seems strange. Checked credit card transactions and they didn't charge the full amount, so I'm stuck paying an installation fee? Of course this means another phone call to Progressive in order to get them to fix their mistake. Such a waste of my time. I'm looking elsewhere for auto and renter's insurance now. Maybe somewhere that appreciates long-term customers and provides better customer service.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I tried to renew my plan with them but made a typo in my bank account. A few weeks later I was notified that my I wasn’t insured, there would be late fees and a fee for the bank account error. I decided to drop them and go with another company. A few months later I received a collection call saying that I owed nearly $200 because of coverage for two months, which should never have happened. They are an incompetent unethical company. Go elsewhere for your insurance needs.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Purchased a policy from them. Was quoted $100 a month. Two months later they withdrew $389 from my account. When I called they said they found a past address of mine from like 10 years ago and said they had to charge the old address rate until I provide proof I wasn't still living there. So now I have to jump through hoops to get my money back soon annoying. I'm canceling my policy and going back to State Farm!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I fail to see how Progressive has managed to get their claims as a pro here because my experience has to be the most sluggish. I've had two claims and my past claim has been cancelled because I could NEVER get into contact with the rep who handled it no matter how many times I contacted her. My current claim seems to be taking the same route except with my estimator who has YET to contact me to confirm an appointment to look at the damage to my car for an estimate. Because the damage is more significant (with the car still being drivable) I want to have it fixed asap, but their claims is just dragging my feet and forcing me to drive a damaged car, which could damage it even more. I'd rather not buy a rental and waste money by having my car sit in my garage and NOT be repaired. So, needless to say, I am highly upset and even considering changing my insurance.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I HAD been with Progressive for over 25 years and had assumed that by sticking with the same company, remaining accident free, paying on time, no tickets, etc. my rates would be fair. Well, after noticing my rates continuing to rise (and after calling and getting the usual explanation ‘oh insurance rates are going up and because there was flooding last year in the lower part of your state rates are going up for everyone in your state blah blah blah’) I kept policy for another year... I also had double checked all my coverage and deductibles and because I have an older car had lowered everything as much as I could and still felt like I was paying more than I should.

Guess what? Progressive insurance has basically been overcharging me for years and I think it is ridiculous that I put this much trust into a company based on their oversold commercials and assuming that I should believe them. I think their customer service and their company has gone downhill over the years (Maybe spend less money on commercials and more money/time on customer service training and being fair to long-term customers!)

Long story short when my son was shopping around for insurance and got a really low rate with another common name insurance company (starts with G...) I checked just out of curiosity and for a better plan I am now paying LESS than half of what I have been paying for some years now to Progressive despite all my so called ‘discounts’, being a loyal customer, thinking I was staying on top of things...

Dropped policy that day... enjoying and feeling much better with saved money. I will never be using Progressive again. I will not let my kids use Progressive. I will recommend against them and I am really upset that I went that long paying that much when I never even had had an accident or claim. Big hype-check other places first then call these guys if you’re curious but I highly recommend against calling them first to let them compare rates for you as they advetise-that’s a joke. I was pretty upset about the situation but I feel better now that I can share my story and hopefully help others from wasting thousands of dollars for no reason with Progressive Insurance Company!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My experience with the claims department on the phone was not bad. The lady was really nice and friendly but she didn't give me 3 options on where to take my car. The only reason I know this is the place that fixed my car actually messed it up worse than when I took it in and when the claims adjuster refused to agree and that only the bumpers were in the claim not the fact that Ford collision messed up my electrical system he told me to file a complaint on his own coworker. I told him how since my car was worse. They needed to fix it. I didn't care if it wasn't in the claim since they sent me to Ford and that's when he informed me I could have chose where to take my car. The lady only ever asked me in network or out of network then she called a place no answer. The second place put her on hold and she hung up. Then she called Ford. How is that letting me choose?

Now the claims adjuster I didn't like how he rushed them and my bumpers look crappy. My intake was not fixed like they said. I also don't like that he made me feel like he didn't care what I had to say. Like it was going in one ear and out the other. Progressive may care about the insured but not about the people their client's hit. I'm so glad they don't get my money and are not my insurance.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

On February 26th I called these guys looking for a quote for my vehicle. They gave me the quote. I sign up for insurance. 2 hours after I signed up I found out the motor on the vehicle was blown. I called Progressive and ask them to Cancel my policy. They told me to write a note To explain the reason of my cancellation. I did. I faxed it into them. They still took payment From My credit card and refuse to give me a refund. I am now fighting with my credit card company to get a refund. Shameful.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I recently was involved in a hit & run, and thought that I would at least be covered under UMPD. After several quotes from local body shops, I am informed that my car is not worth the estimate of $5k- 6k to fix. Never mind that it runs perfectly, is paid for, is a classic, etc. Anyway, a Progressive authorized repair shop comes back with a bare bones minimum of $3800.00 to do the work. (Note, this is after their initial estimate of $5k+). What does Progressive subsequently offer me? The $3800 of course! But not to repair my vehicle, no, they want to total it out! Needless to say, I blew my top! They quickly come back with a $3k quote to keep my vehicle, but when I receive the check, it is for $600 less than what they quoted me!!!

Upon speaking to my Rep, Shay, I am informed that it was a misquote, and that I can take the check, or leave it! She even threatened to stop payment on it! Further, she interrogates me as to why I would want to keep my car? Because you know, I can apparently go buy a new one with the awesome amount of $3800.00 they want to give me to total out my running, paid off car! I honestly feel like they blame me for the accident, even though my perfect driving history, the police report, and witness statement read differently. Progressive honestly treats you, the paying customer like a criminal! At this point, I'll gladly pay a higher monthly premium to another company, on Principal Alone! Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have been with Progressive for a long time but haven’t had to resolve an accident for a long time. This has been the most frustrating experience. It is impossible to return calls to your rep, they notified me on Friday afternoon that my car was deemed a total loss and was being moved to a different lot on Monday morning. I was told I had to get my belonging out of the car between 9am 12pm on Sat which was extremely inconvenient. I wasn’t sent any estimate or paperwork at all. The guy just kept saying they wouldn’t know until it was moved. When I did go to the lot on Saturday, racing from out of town to get there in time, I was told they don’t allow people to get their belongings on the weekend. I was furious as I had just changed my weekend plans to accommodate this so she took me to my car which was completely torn apart!

My car had minimal damage, superficial scrapes with one small dent along the passenger side. I opted to take it to their preferred garage. Huge mistake! Avoid this at all costs! They completely took apart my car for the appraisal. They removed the bumpers which were not involved in the accident, the insides of the doors, the lights which were all working and intact. The estimate included all of these things including license plate holders for $33, and 2 wheel caps, only one was missing. I’ve had other estimates done on my car and they have never taken it apart to complete them.

The valuation report for my vehicle was completely inaccurate. They listed cloth seats instead of leather, they didn’t include the backup camera or navigation system, and they listed it with 126k instead of 79k. Despite all of this, the repair bill was $2k less than the value and they still want to total it out, citing some salvage value. It makes no sense! But if I want to fix it, because it still runs fine, I now have to BUY it from them for $2k and they will give me even less money. I feel completely robbed! And on top of it all, once they give you a price, instead of having a rental for 30 days so you can find a new car, you get it for three days! You have 3 days to buy a new car!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

This has been the absolute worst company I’ve ever seen. I wrecked my car, and it has been an absolute nightmare to turn and recoup what my car was worth. We have been getting estimates of what our car is worth from Jeep/Dodge experts and dealerships and they had the nerve to call up an 8 car dealership and trick them into kind of saying what the car was worth instead of getting a legitimate estimate. They’re a piece of work. They don’t even deserve one star. Crooks.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Progressive's customer service number is operated by a robotic phone system. It is the worst system I have ever dealt with. It can't understand you. You have to yell to get it to hear you. It is impossible to get transferred to an actual person. If the system can't understand your question they end the call instead of transferring you to a person. What a joke. Will no longer be a Progressive customer soon!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

This company does not care or take care of the customer!!! The customer service is atrocious. Every time I had to contact this company, I would get a promise something would be done & nothing would ever get done. No matter how many times I called, promises, promises, promises to no avail. I cancelled my policies today & they are sending my refund check TO A BANK ACCOUNT THAT HAS BEEN CLOSED!!! It doesn't matter to them. They're sending it anyway. So now I have to contact the bank & try to get them to send me a check. What a load of ** that I am due a refund & I can't get it!!! Seems pretty fraudulent to me.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky