1.4/5 (62 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

Top Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my bac...

Verified

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient an...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive auto insurance

Progressive is one of America's largest auto insurance companies, serving more than 20 million drivers. The company offers competitive rates in every state and an easy-to-use website with several helpful features and resources.

Progressive auto coverage

Progressive offers basic auto coverage options, which include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It also has some add-on coverage options, such as:

• Roadside assistance: Pays for emergency services like towing or help with a breakdown or flat tire.
  • Custom parts and equipment protection: If your car has special features like custom wheels, this policy protects them.
  • Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being replaced or repaired due to a covered accident.
  • Deductible savings bank: Can help save money during each policy period you don’t make a claim.
  • Ride-share: Protects ride-share drivers. It covers your car even when your commercial policy gaps.

Progressive also offers commercial and classic car coverage, as well as insurance for travel in Mexico.

Progressive auto insurance quotes and costs

Progressive rates are determined by coverage type, location and the driver’s age and driving record. An average Progressive policy for someone with a good driving record is about $192 per month, but it could cost as little as $47 monthly. Progressive also offers many discounts, which can make your policy even more affordable. Here’s a look at some discounts that could apply to you:

• Safe driving
  • Homeowner
  • Online quote
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic payment

Progressive also has some handy comparison tools on its website to help you find the right policy for your budget.

Progressive auto insurance FAQ

Does Progressive offer full coverage car insurance?
Progressive doesn’t advertise full coverage policies, but it does offer liability insurance and several additional and customizable coverages.
Does Progressive have accident forgiveness?
Yes. In most states, Progressive offers accident forgiveness through its loyalty rewards program.
Where is Progressive car insurance available?
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states.
Does Progressive offer rental car coverage?
Yes, Progressive offers rental car coverage while your car is replaced or repaired due to a covered incident.

Is Progressive car insurance good?

Yes, Progressive is a good auto insurance provider that's available nationwide. While it doesn’t have many agents, Progressive offers reasonable rates online, which you can purchase directly via its website. Overall, its competitive rates, handy add-on coverages like gap and rideshare insurance and various rewards and discounts make Progressive a pretty solid auto insurance pick.

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I obtained commercial vehicle insurance for a new car. After year 1, rate spiked by 25%. I called to find out why and the representative could not articulate the reason for 20 minutes. Then, she said maybe it was for a crack windshield (which was repaired for $75). So, I switched to another provider with the original rate. I sent them an e-mail through their system letting them know of the cancellation and no response. So, I called the day my insurance was expiring and finally got a hold of a customer service representative after being on hold for 56 minutes (no joke!). He was very pleasant and said it will automatically cancel if I do not pay. He did not seem concerned or asked me why. I guess they get this all the time. They should spend less on commercials and more on customer wait times.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I haven't even gotten in an accident (knock on wood). But, their overall legal, money-making moves is annoying and nonstop. Since when is default (the highest coverage possible???).

1. If you have other drivers in your home, they automatically add them to your insurance (I absolutely DID NOT WANT to add this person--they have their own car insurance). It's MY insurance, I say who's on it or not. I'm the one paying, let me decide. It's one of their infamous legal (but sneaky) moves.
2. Also, in Michigan you need proof of qualified health insurance (another sneaky albeit legal move). And getting the proper proof from your health insurance company EVERY SIX MONTHS is also a pain in the butt.
3. Progressive just has too many legal but sneaky money-making moves that DO NOT benefit their customers. Plain and simple.

4. Half their customer service is ok. The other half are not. Never trying to actually help me lower my rates.

I'm not sure which other insurance company I will try, but I'm done bundling and trying to work it out with Progressive. Maybe I'll try insurance that doesn't have to cover a half a billion-dollar advertising budget.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Do not use Progressive for your insurance. If you have to file a claim, they will prolong the progress for as long as they can. Once the work is done, took them at least two months to pay the shop that performed the work. They will only pay the amount they want to pay to the shop, leaving the insured responsible for the rest of the bill.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

My wife was involved in a minor traffic accident on Aug 24th 2021 causing approximately $1,741.99 in damages to her 2010 Ford Escape. My wife had a green light, the other driver had a red light. The vehicle was repaired costing a total of $1741.89, my USAA insurance paid the 741.89 minus the deductible of $1000. Progressive refuses to pay the deductible despite the police report. Resolution: Have progressive pay the $1000 deductible.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Switched over to Progressive after Geico increased my premium based on other drivers in my household that had their own car and insurance. My car has been hit twice by other drivers. Progressive respond immediately to my concerns. I never had to chase my adjuster down. My daughter is currently with Allstate. She is getting horrible service. I told her to come over to the light. Leave that darkness behind. She will be in better hands with Progressive.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

The commercials are cute and catchy flo the insurance is very funny. It's all smoke and mirrors, ask ANYONE you know about their experience when it comes to paying for your to be repaired or even a cracked windshield. Progressive WILL NOT honor your claim like Geico or USAA. They will investigate YOU the insurer not address your claim, ALL as an effort to not pay or pay very little of the actual cost. I was T-boned, filed a claim. After I was investigated I was sent a check for $300 to cover thousands in damage. The cracked front windshield, Progressive doesn't pay anything. DO NOT INSURE YOUR CAR WITH A CON COMPANY THAT'S STRICTLY FOR PROFIT.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

If you have insurance through them, ditch them and move. If you have been involved in an accident with one of their insured drivers, I'm sorry.

- They never pick up the phone.

- They don't respond to voicemails or emails.

- They say they'll contact you by a set time, then don't.

- They claim to be available 24/7, but that isn't all departments. And given agents are not required to document your claim timely, there is no ability to get an update 24/7.

- They use the cheapest parts available instead of replacing the parts like for like. They will not use OEM parts for your car, despite it being in great condition prior to the accident. Why? Because they can, and third party parts are cheaper. But third party parts don't fit correctly, and don't match exactly. So your vehicle will not be put back to the pre accident condition.

- They change their story about when they'll give you a rental to ensure they can keep you from having a rental.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Progressive Auto Insurance has been the best insurance I've had for over 15 years. Coverage is excellent, their staff assist me when Michigan Laws changed for car insurance. Progressive educated me on what coverage I needed to stay covered in case of an accident. Progressive staff is friendly, well equipped to assist with windows repairs, comprehensive's changes as well as offer roadside assistance. I highly recommend this company for car insurance.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

This review in Consumer Affairs based on my own experiences!! Once Progressive gets your auto accident photos they ignore claim, emails and voicemails to their Progressive claims adjuster as a tactic to delay, confuse and not pay victim for damages and deductible. Progressive Auto Insurance is in bed with my insurance GEICO in collusion to avoid lawyer fees and court action without paying to settle auto accident claim. Date of Loss is 08 27 2021 and today is 11 17 2021 with my vehicle not inspected, not repaired nor claim paid despite 45 day limit in California to settle claim. Best advice is sue both insurance and at fault party who hit my parked vehicle at a supermarket parking lot in Merced, CA.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I was in transition from Florida to Georgia. I purchased the car during the process and registered it in Florida where I bought it. Progressive was informed of this. And continued to sell me a policy. A few months later a friend and I were discussing insurance and I told her I was insured with Progressive and she said that she didn't they covered Florida. So it called Progressive and ask them and I was told that they did.

Fast forward to October when I had to get a new registration and I was told by Florida.dmv that I had to pay them $150 because I had did not have insurance for eight months. Then I called Progressive I spoke to several people on multiple occasions told him to cancel the policy after 3 weeks they would not cancel the policy. I asked them to return the money that I had paid them since they provided no coverage for those eight months on a brand new $75,000. They refused to refund anything. Horrible company. They took my heart earned money 3 months knowing that they could not provide coverage. God forbid I was in an accident in my new car it would have destroyed me financially. Horrible company.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information