Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
3.62/5
Based on 2,655 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

On October 21, 2019 I ran into a deer. I have been a Platinum Customer for Progressive and never expected to run into any situation. I pick up the phone in my insurance card and from that very moment I was assisted as a very valued Customer. They suggested the auto body shop in Kansas City, MO and at that shop they had a courtesy driver to take me from work into the car rental company and back to the auto body shop. The lady that attended my case at the auto body shop did everything to make me feel valued. The most stressful event I have ever experienced became a learning experience on how business oriented people/employees/employers care for their Customer. Progressive I will eternally be grateful and thankful.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I was a formerly insured by AAA. The day I walked into their office to cancel my policy is when my nightmare began. Not only did the representatives not care about what happened to my policy but I had to do all the legwork by making all the necessary phone calls. Bottom line, never assume someone else does their job. You have to be your own advocate and follow through. After all that, I signed with Progressive. My rates dropped and that's a wonderful thing. Their customer service is outstanding and I'm treated like a human being.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been with Progressive since 2015. I have never had an accident. My agent is non-existent because I have since moved far from the area where I first purchased the insurance. I have tried numerous times to change my agent, in hope of finding a local agent. I have been wanting to have my policy evaluated for better discounts. I believe I am not getting the discounts I am entitled to and I can't get my agent to return a call to me to help me out. When I want to inquire about anything it is easier for me to simply call the corporate office. Why then must I be stuck with an agent that is 3 hours away from me? It makes no sense to me. I have no use for this agent and he is no longer able to help me with my concerns.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My insurance reps at Progressive have been so amazing to me after the accident. I could have filed with the other person's insurance but I didn’t feel comfortable because I felt like they wouldn’t have been an advocate for me. Thankfully in the end the other person's insurance took liability after they read the police report explaining that the other person caused the accident because she failed to yield and there was nothing I could have done to stop it. But Progressive waived my deductible instead of me having to pay and then get reimbursed by the other insurance, they just waived it completely. They made getting a rental car a breeze and have been in contact with me almost every day since the accident. They also worked with the collision center fixing my car and it will be complete sometime next week instead of in 3 weeks. It’s been a horrible week but I’m so thankful for them advocating for me. They really made an awful situation a little less awful.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I wanted to make a review for Progressive because I got in a car accident 8 days ago, while having Progressive auto insurance. I came to look at the reviews to see what I was in for in terms of my claim. I saw mostly negative or middle-of-the-road reviews. This made me sure nervous. But it's now a week after my car accident and I have been nothing but super impressed with Progressive.

I was hit by an uninsured driver who ran a red light. My car was totaled. I just had purchased my car a few months prior and had an outstanding auto loan. Within 5 days, Progressive had paid off my car loan, less my deductible, which left me owing a few hundred dollars on my car. But the value they gave my car was more than fair, I expected to have a balance of at least $1500 on the loan after settlement. Anyhow, to have it all handled within a week was amazing, I already have a new car, and my insurance premium did not go up. I wasn't at fault, so it shouldn't have gone up in my mind. But I have had increases in the past after not-at-fault accidents with another insurer, so I am really happy Progressive didn't do that as well. Anyhow, overall it was a great experience. And claims service aside, the website is very user friendly and customer service has always been great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I cannot even put into words how disappointed I am in this company. Progressive will do absolutely everything in their power to avoid paying on a claim, and you'll hear 1000 excuses as to why. As being in an accident isn't enough. Avoid being insured by this company at all cost unless you enjoy getting the run around.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

That is the worst company ever! They canceled my insurance policy for no reason after 2 months after they have charged me $400! They are no good Liars and Scam! They should be shut down and all put in jail for robbing you. So called legally! Shame on you Progressive! So that’s how your ads are paid for? By robbing decent customers! I hope you go bankrupt, you don’t deserve any customers!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

One month before my auto policy was scheduled to expire (I pay in full at the start of each policy renewal period), my daughter became eligible to drive. My daughter was given a car, she paid to title it in her name and insure it in her name (she was responsible for all maintenance and insurance costs - paid $750 down for insurance and $150 month). Within days of her registering and insuring her car, Progressive sent an email informing me that my insurance premium would be going up. Under Massachusetts law, I and my older daughter are permitted to exclude other household members from being listed as a driver on our policy - including my youngest daughter who just started driving. Progressive assured me over the phone that my youngest daughter would be excluded and I would not have to pay a large increase in premium. Days later, I get another email warning as if the phone call never happened.

I decided not to renew with Progressive and two weeks after the policy expired - received a bill for $165 to cover the additional charge Progressive felt I owed for the month my daughter became eligible to drive while I was still insured with Progressive. Like another well known large nationwide auto insurer, Progressive is constantly looking for ways to reach into your pocket while at the same time looking for ways to refuse to pay rightful claims. Progressive is a scumbag company that pays many millions for its barrage of TV advertising campaigns. And its unfair, thieving business practices explain how it is able to pay for that advertising time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Would not pay for diminished value on a vehicle that their insured caused major damage to. A minor claim was made against the vehicle two years ago for scratching the bumper cover or another vehicle with its license plate bolts in a parking spot. Progressive used this claim as a reason for not paying even after proving the claim was very minor. They also refused to pay loss of use for a half month repair to the vehicle, since a rental car was not retained.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

The agent named Cheryl will absolutely blame you first if the process isn’t the way she likes and won’t attribute nothing to help you to finish the claim. Progressive will deduct your own settlement money to pay for bodyshop fees which should be paid by Progressive themselves. They will calculate every penny with you in the claim and drive the whole situation the way they want or they will rage on you.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky