Fast Free Quotes

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.34/5
Based on 2,211 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Direct model means lower rates
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance
  • Fast claims process

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I got into my second accident in 6 years recently, totaling my vehicle and getting injured. Both accidents were the other driver's fault and Progressive made a terrible situation a lot more manageable by responding to all my questions and concerns quickly, following up with next steps and making the whole process easy. They even offered options for picking up my payment check at the office to get it sooner or have it mailed. They reminded me about reimbursement for taxes, title and fees on my new vehicle, saving me over $500 dollars. Most of all everyone I spoke with over the phone was friendly and genuinely understood the stress of the situation and offered to assist in any way. I couldn't have been more pleased with the service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I love this insurance company so far. We haven't had any accidents so I can't rate them there. I love the option online to change your bill due date for the next 3 months. It's not always there, so you can't just do it continuously but it's helped us out a couple times. Call customer service is very easy, most people are helpful and polite.

I did have an issue with one person. I accidentally made a duplicate payment to my account and when I called they said the duplicate payment hadn't posted to my account yet, and to call back when it does and they would take care of it. When I called back a different person said they couldn't refund payments, and she said something about a 15 day hold before they could do anything. And she said I should call my bank and hope they could fix it. I didn't like that answer so I called right back and got on the phone with someone else. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and when she came back she told me she was able to refund it.

So that other person, who had an attitude for no reason, just made all that up. She didn't try to ask anyone, just told me "too bad" pretty much. I don't understand people like that. If you have an issue like that with customer service, call back and talk to at least one other person. Every company has at least one person like that, so it didn't affect my rating. I've dealt with enough jerks in customer service that I knew to call back immediately.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

On October 21, 2019 I ran into a deer. I have been a Platinum Customer for Progressive and never expected to run into any situation. I pick up the phone in my insurance card and from that very moment I was assisted as a very valued Customer. They suggested the auto body shop in Kansas City, MO and at that shop they had a courtesy driver to take me from work into the car rental company and back to the auto body shop. The lady that attended my case at the auto body shop did everything to make me feel valued. The most stressful event I have ever experienced became a learning experience on how business oriented people/employees/employers care for their Customer. Progressive I will eternally be grateful and thankful.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been with Progressive since 2015. I have never had an accident. My agent is non-existent because I have since moved far from the area where I first purchased the insurance. I have tried numerous times to change my agent, in hope of finding a local agent. I have been wanting to have my policy evaluated for better discounts. I believe I am not getting the discounts I am entitled to and I can't get my agent to return a call to me to help me out. When I want to inquire about anything it is easier for me to simply call the corporate office. Why then must I be stuck with an agent that is 3 hours away from me? It makes no sense to me. I have no use for this agent and he is no longer able to help me with my concerns.

Original review: April 15, 2019

A big shout-out to my agent William ** of “Insurance Services 3, Inc.” I recently moved to the US and was finding it rather costly and a pain to acquire car insurance from a reputable company. A couple of companies outright told me that I was uninsurable because I had no driving history in the US. I find Mr. ** to be a well-informed agent and a patient person who listens well. Thanks a million, and keep up the good work and thank you too progressive for not telling me I was uninsurable. Laura, A satisfied customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 1, 2020

01. Failed to inform me that FL DMV will suspend my license if I move to another state and get insurance there, before registering there. In some follow up calls, I became aware that Progressive knew that this would happen, but didn't inform me because it was not 'a legal requirement' for them to do so. Consequently, the next time I had to renew my insurance, they increased the premium amount by $700 approx. I believe Progressive does this on purpose specifically to be able to squeeze more money out of customers.

02. Even after I moved to Geico in disgust, this suspension will be on my record for 3 years, and my premiums will be high because of this scam Progressive pulled.
    03. I had a hit and run done on my car when I had it parked somewhere. Progressive made it as difficult as possible to claim that damage. The cost of the damage was just $1600.

04. I had paid for a car rental coverage too. They paid for the car, and then stuck me with the tax for the rental. Overall, a very cheap stunt, I felt.

I do not trust Progressive, and would never give them any of my money again.

Original review: March 31, 2020

About 2 years ago I switched from Geico to Progressive because it would save me a few dollars a month and I like to spend my money wisely. Fast forward 2 years... While driving home from work one night, had a gentleman hit the right rear of my vehicle. I was in moving traffic and he was exiting a parking lot... So long story short 100% his fault. Before this my truck did not have a scratch. 50k miles 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro4x. I was pretty upset, but gritted my teeth, and started making calls and taking pictures. Gentleman was in a work truck, and I recall being thankful he pulled over. I called police, they came and gave me an incident report with dudes driver's license, address, phone. I also got his insurance info - turns out we are both insured by progressive.

A week later called to get info about renting a vehicle while mine was being repaired and progressive says "Well sir, at this time we can't move forward on your claim because we haven't gotten a callback from the liable party". I say... "But there's a police report?" They say "Sorry sir". I say... "So if he just doesn't return your call EVER, then what?" They say "then we deny the claim. At that point you can put it through your insurance".

Forgot to mention a relative detail... In speaking with the gentleman who hit me, I can see he speaks very little English. I recognize the accent - can tell he's Latino. My wife, is a native Spanish speaker. She offers to call the guy. She gets ahold of him. He says he spoke to them, but is sorry and will speak to them asap. She asks and he tells her he only speaks spanish.

I call progressive immediately to try to get them to call him within 10 mins -while it's fresh on his mind. They say "Sorry, the claims adjuster is in a meeting right now". I say, "I don't believe the adjuster speaks spanish anyway, and the person who calls needs to speak spanish - can you please help me out here. I'm also your customer". They say they'll call but I can tell it's just to get me off the phone. Next day I ask "Did you call". They say "Well I just tried him a few minutes ago, and no answer". I say "Did you call in spanish". No response.

Then he sends me a message saying 'send me pics of your vehicle on all four sides'. I message him asking: "Did the guy contact you?" They reply "Oh, sorry, meant to send that text to someone else". Couldn't come at a worse time... Right now with all the Covid19 panic. Really wrestling with spending $500 to fix damage that was completely the other guy's fault, and possibly could have been covered if progressive had not just wiped their hands of me so fast.

So then, a few days ago, I noticed a windshield crack (it's AZ) and figured - no big woop. Has happened before and geico just took care of it - should be the same with progressive. Called them - my policy does cover it, but they say I have to meet my deductible first. Job costs $450. Deductible is $500. Long story short - really was not worth it to save $15 a month.

Original review: March 30, 2020

They will deny your claim whenever they can and they will try to tell you that it's written in the contract but it's all lies. They lie and lie and cheat. They tell you that the parts in question are because of service-related old etc and they don't cover them even though you can prove that you hit something and that all this happened only after you hit it and you have documentation. You have proof you have everything. They will not honor it if they can get away with.. This is happened to me even though I have all kinds of proof. They just kick it back to "oh you had worn parts". So be careful..

If your car is 9 years old and older and you have anything absolutely anything that could be wrong with it even though that did not cause the accident had nothing to do with the accident they will refuse to repair your car. They will blame it on you. They will say it's your fault because you didn't repair every little ** thing on your car. All lies. No matter if you have proof of records, proof of accident or whatever they will not cover it. Run run as fast as you can to another insurance company as these people have turned evil. You have been warned. Stay away from Progressive..

Original review: March 22, 2020

I placed a claim because my boat got full of water in a very bad weather, I forgot to take off the drain plug. My boat got so heavy, because of the water and broke one of the trailer axles, I was told by Progressive, that they don't cover for rusty axles and they denied my claim. Only a brand new axle wont have rust at all and mine seems to be in good condition.

Original review: March 18, 2020

First time I ever used an app to manage my car insurance and when it came time for renewal, I saw the amount to renew and went in to pay half last month and the balance this month. I didn't realize the amount would increase $1053. I called customer service and was on the phone 48 while the rep continued to put me on hold to figure out the problem. He finally went to transfer me and I was disconnected! The supervisor did call me back but said, "Sorry, nothing I can do since you didn't pay in full last month". I tried to explain my confusion and asked for help but she said nothing could be done even though my credit is excellent and driving record has been spotless for years. VERY poor customer service and will be finding a new insurer.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information

www.progressive.com

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.