Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
3.08/5
Based on 1,018 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

3593 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Progressive sucks you in with a low quote and then bills you twice the amount the next month, then when you cancel they take money from your account, even when you don't sign up for EFT, then tell you they can only give half back. Worst insurance company ever, look elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was in an accident with a car that was insured by Progressive. The accident was caused by their driver (he turned in front of my car). When it was time to pay out their claim adjuster would not answer phone calls or e-mails. It took over 6 weeks for them to answer me. Then they lowballed the value of my car. They will wear you down by ignoring you and leaving you without transportation until you just accept whatever they want to offer. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. I will never do business with them - you're better off without insurance than to trust Progressive.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Progressive raised the rate on my auto insurance policy because my adult daughter came to live with me, even though she has her own car, her own auto insurance and never drives my car. I am switching to another company as this is unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This company is very sneaky and dishonest. Several years ago my neighbor backed his car up into my parked car while I was asleep in my apartment. He left a note on the window admitting he hit it that morning. The bumper was hanging off almost touching the ground. I contacted Progressive about it and suddenly the guy who hit my car no longer wished to cooperate. I wanted my car to be repaired. Progressive offered to do it at their destinated shop even though I was not responsible for the damage. I got my car repaired and went on with my life.

Years later I moved and switched insurance companies. It was then that I figured out they put an at fault accident on my record. I called them more times than I can count about the matter but they were not willing to try to resolve the matter. I overpaid on my car insurance due to this error and never got a dime of it back. In fact one of their associates had the nerve to cop an attitude with me. They basically lied and stole from me.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I went to purchase a car and received a quote from them. I put my card on file while the insurance agent was sending paperwork to the car dealership for me to sign. To make things short I ended up not getting a car or signing any paperwork and later that night I noticed Progressive already took out almost $400! I called for a refund and they said they hold the money for 12 days and then they will give me a refund, it's been almost a month and I am now hearing from my bank saying they just received a credit on my account yesterday and it's processing. A month just to get a refund when it was a mistake on their end!!! Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Disgusted by Progressive. My family and I left for hurricane Florence and had to stay in a hotel. We had no way of returning by back. Wilmington was completely surrounded by water. Why pay for insurance if you can’t use it? Please don’t go with Progressive if you’re in a area that is affected easily by natural disasters. We’re going to switch back to USAA because they took care of their customers regardless of whether it was a mandatory evacuation.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

They will charge you extra for anything they can think of without trying to help you. A windshield replacement is counted as a claim the same as an auto accident. So when they ask if you've had claim and you tell them no. They raise your rate for "lying" to them about it instead of simply asking if even the smallest thing, that you may not remember, might have occurred and may count as a claim. It's not at all the same as lying and they know it. So watch out.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I chose to cancel my policy with Progressive well before my next payment due date for better coverage and pricing and this bottom feeding company sent me a final bill which included installment fees, what installment fees? I was done as of the date. I called them as well as, another charge of $27.37 with the explanation of "other fees". Are you kidding me. When I called and talked to their CSR Agent and a Supervisor's rationale was more ridiculous than the final bill itself. Progressive is and always will be the worst insurance company I've dealt with, the coverage is sub par and their customer service is even worse. I'm so happy I never had to put in a claim with these bottom feeders because I'm sure the experience would've been a nightmare. Don't believe those ridiculous adds plastered all over television and the web. They do not have your best interest at heart and you'd be better off staying away and going with a reputable insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Literally the only good thing is their prices, but that is even a thing of the past. They are not very polite or understanding and will try to suck every last penny from you. Promised a 6 month premium but salesman did not callback like he said and they raised it by $300 when I called back the next day. Definitely looking for new insurance.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I called the day before the premium was to be debited from my account. I was assured the money would not be taken from my account. The money was taken the next day from my account, and even though I cancelled the coverage the day before, now I am being told it will take 12 days to get my money back. WTF. When they want their money it comes out clickety split, but to get a refund for something you called about BEFORE the scheduled payment, it takes 12 days to get the money back??? All I can say is WTF... you promised me it wouldn't be taken out, then you did it anyway and will take 12 days to get my money back. Bullcrap customer service, AND the CSR was extremely rude about why I wanted my money back. We SOLD THE MOTORHOME. It was GONE. Yet you still took my money for insurance on something I don't own. Bad, terrible customer service rep. Rude.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The very LAST time I sign with a national. I easily joined their patent payment plan in 2017 for the rebuilding insurance coverage ratings. A six-month deal that was purported lowered by May 2018. Didn't happen. Called them about it. Next two billing cycles were discounted by $20. After that, the rate went up again, and I called them again about it. They promised they had lowered it, that I was all set. Nope. The August billing went, and the higher charge was back. Soon after, a local insurance contacted me with a significantly lower rate, so I took it. Called Progressive to CANCEL that policy, effective END September. No further charges.

They emailed me the cancellation confirmation, but the pro-rate had not refunded to my bank after 10 days. Sure enough, ANOTHER PAYMENT went through my bank account, and I hit the roof. Called Progressive and about punched the dude through my phone as he tells me "no record of any account cancellation". I very patiently sat through a 2ND CANCELLATION, in which I'm told they could refund me only me ONLY the pro-rate, not the full payment amount because of the date. What utter B.S. NO prior insurance ever did that to me, which I noted to the guy. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I recently got a 6 month policy with PROGRESSIVE AUTO INSURANCE on my 2005 Ford Expedition. Nearly 1400 for basic coverage at six months. "Fine I said," I sucked it up and paid it. Then shortly after many lower quotes came in which differed immensely from PROGRESSIVE'S CLAIMS. So much I feel a fraud had taken place. Luckily or so I believed at the time one such quote did included the true PROGRESSIVE QUOTE. Not the quote I agreed to pay, not a third party. The PROGRESSIVE QUOTE BY PROGRESSIVE FOR PROGRESSIVE. Again, not the quote I just with incorrect misrepresented knowledge, agreed to pay for. SO I TRIED TO FIX MY POLICY WRITTEN by playing the phone game. You know game, you get on the phone and press 1 now, then press 3, then an operator says whatever. You win some you lose some.

Most of us all have played this game and it's so frustrating to continue to play this over and over, never solving our issue at all. The person or third party rep with whom I spoke with originally when the policy in my reference was written, was being recorded by me, and I informed him the call was to be recorded, he agreed as did I for the archive to exist. I asked this Third Party Representative when we set up policy, if booking fees were charged. "NO NO NO." He claimed, no fees in addition, this fact is on record... Keep this in mind for later when I try to get the truth. When the actual PROGRESSIVE QUOTE WAS IN, I HAD SIGNED THE INCORRECTLY QUOTED POLICY.

When getting a quote from PROGRESSIVE shortly after I signed, I also was disturbed to have found a nearly 300 dollar difference. Money now in the hands of PROGRESSIVE and the elements and power of this huge machine are now becoming apparently to me. I add that in my opinion, DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES are now starting to seem what may have been the reason this happened at all. This path of deception I'll call it, will be something that agent after agent will make unusually ridiculous stories to deny. I personally believe it to be is a fraudulent deception committed against the consumer, this consumer this time was ME!

I'm guessing it is very usual because the roads I was forced to travel upon in my pointless search to get MY money back, are clearly very well paved and heavily traveled by many. I was told by more than 4 operators in the phone game, that to get the difference, I MUST cancel the policy and wait for a full refund by mail. What, a new policy for 1174.00 more. Then through the mail, weeks.... or even a month later, I'd get the full amount of the first policy (the deceptively written policy for 1300 plus) in full. That's how they claim their mistake is fixed. Who has an extra 1174.00 or does everyone have an extra 1174.00? Now I must include I can cancel and get a refund but I have a cancellation on my record and I still have a vehicle with no insurance. Hmmm, okay how about we rewrite the policy I requested and send me the difference in question, nearly 300 dollars.

Nope. PROGRESSIVE DONT DIM THAT, OTHERS DO BUT NOT PROGRESSIVE. So I FINANCIALLY STRUGGLE while having paid for a policy that I was misinformed of the true costs Or its terms. I said to myself with confidence, "Marty, I have been deceived and I bet Im screwed." As this, deceived-consumer I am now calling myself, I played phone tag of many kinds. I learned unfortunately, that because I can't pay PROGRESSIVE ANOTHER HUGE SUM OF MONEY, and I can't go without a policy on my vehicle to keep a license suspension off the table.

And because I spent everything on this overinflated fraudulently presented policy I now have, without a huge sum of money in addition to it all, I'm such paying Progressive and they know this. They depend on this! Progressive profits more because of this! It's standard operation practices as I found to be. I kept thinking how can I LEGALLY be, that because I don't have an extra thousand plus dollars to go with a policy elsewhere before cancelling this one, I can't get money that I'm clearly entitled to, money that in my opinion, was systematically defrauded from me. A third party PROGRESSIVE contracts is how I originally came upon this misrepresented product or policy. They, meaning Progressive, pay and entrust these third party agents to legally represent Progressive and they (both parties) agree to practice the same policies, regulations and laws.

They... (Progressive claims they the third party) made the mistake and the difference is a booking fee. Sorry try again no booking fee existed here. I recorded my conversation before any money ever changed hands... The booking agent said that no fee was added for using his services and it's reflected in the documents Progressive and I possess. No booking fee. So I asked the others that were playing the phone game with me to explain why I was OVERCHARGED. Call after call, operator after operator and ridiculous excuses and long pauses and excessive holds and transfers to others. I got nothing.

I lost and wasted my time as excuse after excuse was given attempting to inform me what IDENTICAL POLICIES BEING COMPARED had am huge difference in premiums costs. IDENTICAL FOLKS, IDENTICAL. Back to the phones I guess is all I can do and I got absolutely nowhere. Progressive agents on the customer service numbers claimed my policy was different because my driving record came back so that is why it's "More"... Try again Progressive, the amount was actually and unexpectedly less the s time (I never told this one specific operator at customer SVC if the difference was higher or lower, he just assumed it was higher). Hmm, I knew then, this entire happening was one of the many tactics systematically used to produce higher revenues for PROGRESSIVE.

After several customer service agents compared identical policies, none could explain to me why I was billed nearly 300 dollars more for the same policy. They did agree on one thing though. They all agreed on what I needed to do so I could fix their mistake and misrepresented information. Of course I was blamed and made to seem unreasonably over demanding. Their mistake not mine... And I was told repeatedly that more money from me, will fix their mistake. My money to fix PROGRESSIVE'S mistake, and it's recorded over and over and over, and I have no other options? This to me, easily confirms they systematically employ of fraudulent business practices.

I personally witnessed a well practiced, flawlessly orchestrated protocol. A protocol I witnessed as it was used against me. A protocol that only exist, simply to explain these inconsistent numbers and policy rates. I experienced their gentle or legal (I'll intentfully) way that they have grossly adopted which allows them to keep mistakes from becoming refunds. A PROGRESSIVE MISTAKE or ERROR or a MISREPRESENTED POLICY PREMIUM or whatever you call it is a lot of money PROGRESSIVE has and are going to try to keep. How can this be I keep asking but it is the truth. I am it that money and I can't afford to pay to fix it. This "conned" as I call it, money that's owed to the consumer, many times over, stays in the possession of PROGRESSIVE and most never know they've been had. I Wanna know why and how this can go on?

I have an idea as to why so easily I believe I have been defrauded. It is because I put my money and trust into a company that uses fraud tactics to take hard earned money from people on fixed incomes, or from people who have no resources to fight back. Thats why I was a victim of this, thats what I believe. Pass the buck Progressive... Will you trust me, the way I used to trust you?

Nevertheless I must let you all know that this THIRD PARTY ALSO BLAMES THE OTHER. No surprise really. To keep from getting ripped off or deceived, they expect me/you to voluntarily rip myself/yourselves off again. It's insanity at its FOR PROFIT FINEST. Remember though, our wallets suffer... not theirs. I found policies with equal coverage or even more coverage, for nearly half or hundreds less, hours after I signed. Even the quotes from other carriers that are posted by PROGRESSIVE as a tool for us all to use to make a well informed decision, WE'RE HEAVILY OVERINFLATED.

These so called competitor rates or what have you, are so inconsistent with the true quotes, I see these numbers only Yet one more of the many... unethical tools PROGRESSIVE uses to get more of our money. I found another tactic, legal sure but unethical and immoral it, still is too. Skillfully used, these and many other well practiced manipulations made me a victim. I learned unfortunately, when used alongside the many other deceptive practices PROGRESSIVE skillfully employs, I'm of many with whom have been taken in this business plan. Is it legal to just misrepresent a product and to just take our/my money? I learned that YES it's legal.

More than ten different carriers over and over and over had drastically lower premiums for the EXACT same coverage and I found these prices within hours of paying for my OVERINFLATED policy. So here it sits and I'll break it down to my truth. I'm out my light bill, phone bill, a full tank of gas, 3 prescriptions, one co-pays, and that non generic toothpaste I was hoping to finally purchase. That's what I had to do without because I didn't have NEARLY THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS that PROGRESSIVE HAS SCAMMED FROM ME. Yes folks that's what I would have gotten for that NEARLY THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. I just want to pass it on to others what has happened to me. I hope that I have Informed you and you don't become another victim to this deception. It's used by many by the way, not just PROGRESSIVE.

It's one of many legal means by which we are easily defrauded. I'm out nearly three hundred dollars because I can't afford to pay for another policy to be written. I can't just cancel the incorrect one either. DECEIVED AND DEFRAUDED BY PROGRESSIVE AUTO INSURANCE. It's true, I can't do anything about this well orchestrated game (I believe is intentfully aimed to unethically yet on the semantically argued edge of legal) played to overcharge consumers and stop many from having a corrective method.

This allows new revenue streams to exist while the grey spots in law, give protection. THEY... PROGRESSIVE AND MANY OTHERS, with intent, DO THIS EVERYDAY TO THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU! I was naive so now, if I want my 300 dollars back, I'll be forced to pay 1174 more, or pay for another policy... Then to get MY money back, I now must wait possibly over a month while they have my money interest free. They charge me interest when I can't pay in full. One more thing done to us we can't do to them.

I should be given interest on my 300 and refunded but it will never happen. I'm also by the way just expected to TRUST that my refund or the money from the incorrect policy will just be on its way. And I can't expect it for weeks maybe more... Weeks maybe more. Allegedly it will come in the mail. TRUST REALLY? I don't have that 1174 more... I barely made the first incorrect amount. Listen folks, Stay away from PROGRESSIVE. Trust yourself and only yourself when you're being told amounts and coverage types and state required this and suggested that. Don't just quickly agree to this add on or that deductibles or premium. It's nearly exhausting and the majority of us go into this with little or no knowledge of the truth.

Those I have spoke to about this, some which seemed somewhat knowledgeable of the inner workings of insurance carriers. We're surprised to be far more clueless than they had believed about this topic. It's funny, I asked a friend, a third party auto insurance agent, how could this happen. She told me this is a standard practice in the industry, a way to keep from giving morally owed refunds. Legal and moral are by far not equal in THE WORLD OF PROGRESSIVE. I hope that by informing consumers like myself, others will get the true information which will allow them to pay a more fair rate than Impair. To me what happened is a symptom of a bigger problem.

What else should I watch for when searching for auto insurance? It's been a month now and I am struggling still to make ends meet. I struggle as a normal, but when it's the time of year to pay auto insurance, I struggle more and it trickles on down to my budgets and I experience the hit for months. One person I am yes, alone I feel, struggling with no help I exist. But I can do one thing that can help. I can tell you my experience to help arm you against this. I suggest we all ask more questions and believe less when things aren't in writing. And when written, ask even more. I wish I would have got in writing the way I feel comfortable that mistakes like these should be handled.

PROGRESSIVE AND ITS MANY MANY TOOLS, funny it is really, isn't it? They put these advertisements everywhere and naive consumers are hopeful by the fancy gadgets and glare that these advertised savings truly exists. The matrix and inner operation has remained the same I found. A glare with a fancy gadget didn't change anything at all. It is still the same old policies written for the same old coverage now and before.

For what we all are strategically advertised to believe, these savings on paper merely look like any other bill at the end of it all. Savings I'm not sure, deceptive behavior I can easy conclude yes. Do not be fooled by these so called price tools and other marketing gimmicks. Tools do not change the product at all. Its insurance and money is the objective. Tools they say... well I was the tool when naively I signed with Progressive. I learned however, we the consumer, are the only tool we truly need. Good Luck everyone!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought insurance for my boat which was 340 dollars per year, The claim adjuster from Progressive came out to estimate my boat which was not even half price from N.A.D.A website value determent. The boat value is 29 thousands. They only want to pay 2,600 dollars for My boat was stolen last week. Try to contact a representative who takes care my case, he has his voice mail says he is out of the office for 2 weeks. They try everything to avoid to reply or process my case. I have to find my lawyer to fight with my case and will file complain to State of California Dept. of Insurance.

Progressive is a very dishonest insurance company. They changed my insurance declaration document when I started filing my claim. PLEASE TAKE MY WORDS: PROGRESSIVE IS A DISHONEST INSURANCE COMPANY. Progressive is a dishonest insurance company. Progressive is a dishonest insurance company. Progressive is a dishonest insurance company. If you need more advice or want to know more about their dirty tricks feel free to contact me at **.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This company takes your premium month after month like clockwork, but when you need them the most they make you feel far from an appreciated customer and more like a crook. I have full coverage, it was not my fault and ALL evidence proves it yet they still want to drag out 2 weeks or longer to not pay my claim. They are doing everything they possibly can to not pay a VERY valid claim. My next step will be a lawyer and I am sure this will have to be a turning point. I rather spend more money on principle than let this CROOKED INSURANCE COMPANY/PROGRESSIVE not pay a VALID & CUT and DRY claim.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My son was in an accident with one of their insureds. He was on the freeway on HIS lane, to the left of his lane there was a merge lane, Progressive's customer came on the left and tried to get in front of my son before her lane ended and sideswept my son, she should have merge cautiously, it was clearly her fault, but Progressive is only taking 70% liability, and they are making my son 30% liable for driving on his lane. Now because of their lack of professionalism and knowledge their customer will be sued by us. She will not be happy, she has no need to go through all of that when she admitted it was her fault. Progressive is not only not fair to other people but to their own customers.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My family and my son, his gf etc have been with Progressive for quite some time. While we have not had any issues with any claims so far... their customer service is so rude and it's always been that way no matter what I am calling in about. Will be looking into other providers since they don’t care if they have my business or not.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been a Progressive customer for a few years & have a great record. I recently had a total loss accident (not at fault). I filed a claim & found these reviews on this site & got scared on how Progressive would handle the claim. Let me tell you - the service was stellar! I have absolutely no complaint. I barely had to do anything. I promised myself I would come back here & write a review because if you sit here & reads these reviews, you’ll scare yourself to death.

If you read the reviews on this site for all the reputable insurance companies, it’s the same. I swear, one tiny thing goes wrong & people blow it out of proportion. Either that, or reviewers are leaving out details of things they did wrong & just putting the blame on the company. I had a great experience with Progressive. 5 star company with 5 star service.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have been with Progressive for several years. My motorhome was in storage with a cover on it and during the winter months someone hit it on the drive side and passenger side bumper. I created a claim and the adjuster came out to arrange for the bumper to be fixed. The adjuster said it should not make my rates go up and decided to write each damaged area as two separate claims. The deductible almost covered all expenses so there was not much cost to Progressive. Being I never made a claim before they made plenty of off of my no fault driving records. When my policy was up for renewal I expected my renewal to be the same however it was a cancellation notice. I tried to fight it but they would not change their minds. If you are looking for a loyal company after being loyal with them for many years I strongly would not recommend Progressive for any insurance needs.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have had insurance with Progressive since 2015 and the rates just keep going up. I'm 35 years old with no accidents and no tickets or anything else (perfect driving record) and I pay more for insurance than my 20 year old sister does (with the same car btw). Changed now to another provider and pay about $60 less than Progressive a month and got a lower deductible and renters insurance which I didn't have with Progressive.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My first auto quote from Progressive was $886 for 6 months. When I got my bill it had gone up to $1011 because they claimed I had a poor credit rating. My rating was 735 at the time. No accidents, no tickets, no claims in over 15 years. Then they added another $200 because they claimed I never sent them proof of my previous insurance coverage and/or a copy of my medical insurance card, which I had via email. Eventually, this was cleared up after several calls and repeat emails. I was only with Progressive for a couple months before I decided to go with Farmers Insurance (they are incredibly less expensive. I saved $600 per year with them). Progressive issued a $525 refund check on 9-9, which was received on the 17th. I received another refund check in the amount of $425 on 10-4.

I went to PNC (Progressive's bank) and found out that the $525 check had been canceled (without letting me know) because I had "failed" to return a "snapshot" device to them (which I had... I have the tracking No.). After several phone calls, they now tell me that I should get the $100 in a couple weeks. Progressive told me they notified me via email that they had stopped pmt on my check. I did receive an email that told me to go to Progressive.com for the message. I could not access the message because I no longer have Progressive insurance. My experience with them was very very frustrating. Do yourself a FAVOR. THEY'RE MORE TROUBLE THAN THEY'RE WORTH. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FARMERS INSURANCE.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I’ve had Progressive for a couple years and I’ve notice things keep getting worst them. I pretty much have a perfect driving record and my rates went up. When I called them they said it was because of my area where I live. I guess that how prices are rated by zip code. Recently I got into an accident with a Semi that almost killed me.

The thing that made this worst for me we both had Progressive. Of course they took his side with the million dollar policy. They didn't even bother getting the police report and blamed me for the accident. Then I had issues with my repairs. I needed an alignment down. The shop they referred me to couldn’t even do that right. I took my own mechanic. Had it done. It only cost me 59 bucks. I sent them the bill. Told them I want to be reimbursed. I’ve sent them the reports. They have to investigate it. Are you kidding me people!!!! This Insurance company is a joke. They are a waste of time and money!!! As soon as my policy is up I’m done with this company. Do not waste your money with them. Find someone else.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Please reconsider another Insurance Company if you came here to do some research. Progressive is horrible! I was rear-ended by one of their teenage drivers and my car was totaled. They first gave me a rental car so I would have a way to work and then said go turn it back in, they aren't obligated to pay after today. They don't care if you're a single mother who has to work and get your child to school. This is a business and this is how it is. They then told me they will repossessed the rental car for added threats. (I had the rental for 9 days if you're wondering). I was forced to buy a car quickly and turn the rental car back in before my car was even paid off by Progressive. They low-balled me a figure for pain and suffering and I was completely offended. I have used vacation time to see doctors and now have to take meds for headaches and stiffness in my back and neck... Please don't use this Insurance Company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My family has had Progressive for 13+ years accident free. The only time I have contacted them was for informational purposes when my husband's unoccupied vehicle was hit by a car on a job site in 3/2016. The other party at fault's insurance paid the claim in full and Progressive was NEVER even involved. I made the STUPID mistake of just letting my insurance know what happened. They counted this against us, so that when we had a minor collision back in May 2018, the only at fault in 13 years, they declined our "Accident Forgiveness" and immediately raised our rates by $250 on our next 6 month premium. This is deceptive, unethical, and should be illegal. There is a very clear difference between right and wrong, and Progressive's money over humanity business practices. Have lost a customer for life.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We were hit from behind and have been forced to deal with Richard **, a Claims Generalist at Progressive Insurance. They not only tried to underpay us for the truck that they deemed as totaled but gave us 3 different numbers for a settlement in the same day. Before they would release a check they demanded I drive to their office 2 hours away to sign a document. They also took away our rental car after a few days and said they would no longer pay for it. I have never in my life had such terrible service. I will never willingly go with Progressive for your insurance needs nor would I recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

The worst insurance company I have ever dealt with in my life. On 8-29-18 a car insured also with Progressive like myself did not stop when police tried pulling him over for tint on his vehicle. He sped off at a high rate and police discontinued pursuing him and turned their lights off but stood in that direction. As he proceeded from a stop sign when the guy fleeing officers hit him at a high rate totaling my Honda Civic which we recently found out from Honda had the airbags recalled. Officers were immediately there since they had tried pulling him over for tint. After hitting my car they ran into a tree and left the scene. Inside the vehicle were open beer containers, as well as some drugs.

Officers reassured us at the scene that we would have no problem getting insurance to get our car back since he was an innocent victim. Turns out not true. From the time of filing the claim the agent made it blatantly clear that they were going to deny the claim which they ultimately did giving the example that if some one robs a bank or commits a crime like that then runs from police they are in the commission of a crime. Whomever they hit while fleeing doesn’t not get reimbursed by the insurance company. I even recording him acknowledging that they never intended to approve my claim.

And yesterday they had the nerve to send a late payment notice! I have no car and Im still incurring charges in a tow yard you refused to even check saying no agents are available in my area when there’s one around the corner of my home. As I’m waiting on the state investigation to give them the 15 days you're allotted we will continue to have to spend money on transportation back and forth to work and pay to go to the supermarket and lose out the money I invested into buying my car. I would caution anyone from dealing with your company after the way I was treated!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I guess I did not spend enough time and exercise enough diligence before accepting the idea that a device plugged into a vehicle could measure good driving and result in cheaper insurance rates for good drivers. I used the device since about May 1, 2018 to the September 27, 2018. I was disappointed from the outset at how quick this device was to penalize normal city driving (especially when I would slow down, intending to stop on red instead of speeding up to get through yellow lights).

I realized that I needed to drive more slowly in approaching traffic lights, which means hesitant driving, so that I could have enough time to slow down and not have to speed through when lights began to turn yellow. Otherwise, I would get that annoying beep just for slowing down at the rate of normal city driving. I agree with other reviewers that the rate of deceleration flagged by the device is not practical and is unsafe. The concept of one static rate of deceleration is also flawed, as others have recognized. Good driving normally is decisive driving; and this calls for varying rates of deceleration and acceleration, depending on the flow of traffic and other factors. Driving that slows at a predetermined set rate tends to be hesitant, annoying to other drivers and dangerous.

Although I tended to adapt to the device, such adaptation caused a deterioration in my driving techniques. I will not spend the time to give details; but in summary, I did not handle changes of traffic lights very well, and I did not contribute to the smooth flow of traffic in some cases. I also noticed that at times the device would beep at corners, when I was going slowly. My wife reported the same observation. I now realize, from reading a review by someone else, that there is a technical glitch for this discrepancy.

Maybe there is also a technical glitch that explains a couple of fast-start reports that showed up on my trip reports. My wife apparently also had one such fast-start report. My Toyota Prius C is not the kind of vehicle in which one burns rubber to get going. It has a very gradual acceleration, in keeping with the CVT (transmission). My wife also (usually in a Toyota Corolla LE sedan) is no race-car driver when it comes to setting a car in motion. Gradually I realized that the device was biased toward an unfavorable rating. It might easily provide reason for an insurer to raise rates. It is unlikely to generate a rate decrease for a good driver. That is perhaps why some reviewers have labeled the snapshot program a sham. I agree that it does not do what it has been advertised as doing; that is, it is not a device that identifies good driving, and it contributes to bad driving.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I paid for shippers to deliver a tractor/backhoe and some attachments from a dealer in Oregon. The shipment made it to Arizona a day late, but that was all right. One of the attachments during shipping was damaged and after some further investigation found out the Insurance company was Progressive. It is going on 47 days now and the insurance company doesn't even have the courtesy to get back to me about questions on my claim. I am losing income not being able to use these attachments because of the damage and the insurance company appears to be dragging their feet. I may have to resort to suing if this continues any longer. Maybe I will get my losses also.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

After I cancelled my plan on 9/12/18 and was told that I didn't owe anything and was getting a refund the following week I get another email stating that I owe them another $160.00 bucks. I have paid every month on the same date since 2016. I have never missed a payment and was never behind. I have spoken to 3 different agents and 1 supervisor. One agent told me that I used more than what I was charged from 9/5/18 to 9/12/18. They pulled 161.00 out of my account for Sept payment. Then she comes back at me that I changed my due date which was also a lie because I've been charged every 8th day of every month since 2016.

Now I've had 3 supervisors trying to figure out why I am being charged and no one can figure it out. I will be getting another call in 24 hours once my account gets unlocked from the IT dept which was never explained to me why it was there to begin with. I want my damn refund for the remainder of Sept that I haven't used. I will never again use this company for anything.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was rear-ended by someone recently who had Progressive Auto Insurance. They’re terrible. They send out their own claims adjuster to nitpick every detail. This guy talks and acts like he knows everything, but he doesn’t understand simple physics or common sense. Hmmm if my car was making a noise in an area near where I was hit but it wasn’t before maybe it was caused by the accident. That sounds simple enough to me. No, he went down there with the mechanics and didn’t drive my car or anything — he only looked at the area directly contacted by the other driver — that’s all he wanted to cover. I had to get angry at him for him to have the mechanics drive my car around to listen for a scraping noise that started to occur after the accident. This was in the back-right wheel well. I’m guessing the movement from the impact bent something and it’s now hitting my rotor intermittently. The guy’s an idiot.

If you get hit by someone with Progressive Insurance, get ready for a fight. Oh, and they weren’t going to replace my tailpipe that was bent. He was confident they could bend it back. How cheap are these guys?? They advertise all the time about their cheap prices, but do you wonder how they’re so cheap?? This will go both ways. They’ll be just as cheap with full coverage for you.

I had a Progressive claim on an old Buick that I had driven through the rain for a whole day while travelling. My car stopped running and needed to be fixed. They sent out an inspector who didn’t know cars and who said that there wasn’t evidence of water getting to a certain point in the car. Well my car worked before driving in the rain, and it didn’t work after the rain. So much for full coverage from Progressive. I took my car to buddy who knows cars and is a mechanic. He said it was from the rain and fixed my car for me for cheap. Progressive adjusters are spawns of Satan trying to pinch and squeeze every little penny they can. They could care less about customer service. To anyone who’s thinking about going with them, please, don’t!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Bad customer service ever. I put the car into the dealer body shop for repair, and they spent almost 30 days to get the additional supplements to approve, and the rental car only have 30 days. They won’t extend the rental car for me. After that I spend about $600 to rent a car for two week. I talk with them, but the response is that is not their company’s fault. OMG, that was my fault to choose such kind of insurance company.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky