Progressive Insurance
1.48/5
  • 1 star
Based on 334 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Progressive Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 20, 2018

2657 Progressive Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I was with them for over 3 yrs. I let them know what I do for a job which is driving. I use my own car. They told me I need better insurance which I told them to set me up and I needed window insurance too. "No problem" they say. Paid 320 a month. No problem still. Husband replaced windshield. He asked, "Will this count on my policy?" They say no. So with have 7 claims for windshield, 5 accidents, 1 at fault. After my last accident which I was rear-ended real bad they said they wasn't going to cover us anymore. I said, "Ok I'll find a commercial insurance." Well it just got worse because of the windshield claims my insurance is now 11,000 a year. Rhode Island they rip you off state. I'm in the process of finding a lawyer to get these claims off my record so I can pay a normal fee.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Please do NOT believe in Progressive insurance. They give you a price that make you happy then they will increase the rate without any notice. Their job is like THIEVE. I was supposed to pay $90 each month. After a while when I checked my account, I shocked when I saw my monthly payment increased to $170. When I called them and asked them to let me know their reason, they said me, "It is just because of your wife." It is essential to say that my wife never drive and does not have driver license!!!

After 30 minutes talking to their stupid representative, they decreased my monthly payment to $131! When I asked them why you increase the rate without any notice, she had nothing to say just saying "sorry"! Please, please, please do NOT deal with this ** insurance company. They charge you for nothing. They change your rate without any notice. They deal with you and waiting for the $50 termination fee!!! If I could, I will give them NEGATIVE star! They are thief that moving forward with people's money.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I am currently having financial hard times, all of lays solely on the premiums I pay to Progressive. I have one vehicle, I have been with Progressive a year and every policy period my payments have skyrocketed. For my next 6 month period, they want me to pay $445 a month, $20 higher than it was the previous period. I was told that my policy went up because that's the cost of doing business. I have called a few times asking how I can lower my payments. I was told there was no way. I am now finding out that I could've raised my deductible to lower the premium. Why did nobody tell me this before? For 6 months I have been struggling just to eat, because of Progressive.

I had a payment due on the 16th of January, but my bank account was frozen on that date. I had it reactivated on the 17th and was told there were no pending transactions. I then I called Progressive to ask about it. I was told that there was no payment due on the 16th of January because I was paid in full. Thinking the good Lord had given me an opportunity to finally straighten out my life and get some groceries, replace the broken blower motor on the heater for my car (so I can defrost my windows and not die of cold). I go to the grocery store get some food and I get the checkout lane and find I have no money. I check my phone and sure enough Progressive had drawn out money. I went out to the parking lot to call Progressive. I sat there for an hour waiting to find out that I had apparently never said or asked anything about the January 16th payment.

The reason I had called was entirely about the January 16th payment. So, I have to wonder... am I crazy? I know for a fact I asked about it and was told there was no need for a payment. So Progressive is making me question my own sanity and ability to recall an important conversation only two days after it happened. I asked for a copy of the recording, she said they would mail a transcript. I told her I wanted the actual audio file, she refused. I've read the reviews on here, and they all seem to receive the same level of treatment.

Please, can anybody tell me if this has happened to them before? I feel like I've lost my mind. That phone call on the 17th was important. It would decide whether I would be able to eat this week. I took it very seriously. So, why was I happy then, if I wasn't told there would be no payment being taken out of my paycheck? Long story short (too late), does anyone know of an Insurance provider that doesn't try to convince you that you are crazy?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Progressive will increase your rates without notice and charge you fees. Did not request snapshot device, was charged multiple times for not returning. Progressive canceled my auto pay after a clerical issue, and my rates went up $40 dollars a month without notice. I tried to reinstate the auto pay, and was told my rates would remain at the non-auto pay rate. They refused to negotiate and demanded I pay all charges. I will never work with them again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Started with Progressive six months ago around August 2017 and we paid for the entire 6 months up front. At the time they were the cheapest and we got all kinds of 'deals' like Snapshot. This is where our first problem came up. Snapshot actually messed with our car causing me the driver and my little sister to be stuck in the middle of a busy intersection. We had heard a lot about the Snapshot messing with cars so we called them up. They said they haven't heard of that before but will take it back and tell the Snapshot center of the claim.

After taking it out our car stopped shutting down on us. My husband still didn't like me driving the car and we had been looking at buying a new car and took that as the perfect opportunity to do that. A few months later we found a car, traded the old one in and my husband called the insurance the next day. Progressive took all the car information down and said it will be an extra 20 from our old vehicle. They asked if they could use the credit card on file and he said yes.

Now a few months later we have gone with a new insurance company and my husband is doing stuff with his license only to find out Progressive didn't put our new car on the insurance and now he is being fined a lot of money we can't afford because we didn't had insurance on the car for an extend period of time. He called Progressive they said they have no records of the new car besides a quote and they had no record of his call and they can't go back in our payments or records to find it out. If I had known they where this bad of a company or even read some of the reviews on the company I would have gone with someone else even with the higher rates because in the end it would have been cheaper. So please be cautious when going with Progressive. They don't seem to care for their customers or their safety.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I am a 56 yr. old female. I had Progressive for over 8 years (previous bundle pkg of homeowners and motorcycle). I've never been in ANY accidents in my life except on Oct. 30, 2017, I backed into my BF's truck in our driveway causing damage to my bumper and his. I was going to warm my car up, because I was taking my granddaughter to the doctor. There were so many fumes in the garage so backed up misjudging my BF's truck and caused some minor damage (fender bender). Progressive put me under investigation right away because I had changed my deductible 11 days prior to the accident. They requested my son & daughter-in-law's phone #, phone records of 2 weeks prior to accident, and an written excuse from my granddaughter's pediatrician proving I was there.

Everything that Progressive was asking for was irrelevant, but I gave them my son and daughter in law's phone number and a note from the MD, stating I was there with my granddaughter. I did NOT have permission to submit the phone records, as my BF did not want to share his personal info with this company. They refused to honor my deductible stating that I was not cooperating with their 'investigation'. I submitted a letter to the state of Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance. He couldn't do anything, but it was put on record. I was angry when I read what Progressive wrote to them. They lied and I have proof of this. They also said that they 'called' the pediatricians office to verify the note and the MD's office said they didn't have the authority to verify this.

Well, HELLO! It's called HIPPA! I was an RN for 32 years and I know if some stranger calls the office and says they want info, you can't say a word! Also, I gave them a written note signed by the MD stating I was there with her. The point of all of this, is, this company PURPOSELY leads you on a wild goose chase so they don't have to pay! Asking for phone records is their MO, so that they can claim they called this and that number and "didn't get a response", or question why did you call this # and can you prove this, and have that person/company write a note... etc. THAT's THEIR SCAM! I dropped Progressive after the first week of their games and signed up with State Farm (a local agent). I am taking them to small claims court and I also wrote a second letter to the State Commissioner of Ins. proving that they lied.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

This place technically has no such thing as full coverage and their workers are very uninformative. They tell you one thing one month and another the next month. They send you from one person to another. I thought my old insurance was bad but I will be returning more grateful. Never again and call and get informed as you can before you pick Progressive.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Three months ago, when our auto insurance rate went up 25%, my husband and I started shopping around for large, reputable companies that could give us equal or better coverage for less money. Progressive Insurance offered to reduce our premium by about a third, and we asked ourselves "Hey, why not?" There was only one catch: we had to install a little device called Snapshot in each car. As new policyholders, Snapshot will remain in our cars for the entire first premium period. We asked ourselves, "Hey, why not?" We're good drivers. What could possibly go wrong?

Installing wasn't difficult. We nicknamed the device "Jiminy Cricket," after the character in 1940 Disney animated feature film Pinocchio who serves as his conscience. Knowing Jiminy was there to improve our driving as well as lower our auto insurance premium, we tried very hard to like him. Unfortunately driving with Jiminy has turned out to be an experience we'd rate between annoying and aggravating, occasionally even dangerous.

Snapshot's primary metric is "hard braking." Originally we thought this meant driving fast and slamming on the brakes to stop, which neither of us do. However, no matter gently we step on the brakes in either car, Jiminy emits a BEEP if there is any firmness in the pressure and the brake goes down all the way. Snapshot seems to prefer stops that have about 100 yards of stopping distance, and assumes drivers always having the luxury of coasting to a stop, with no need to even press the brake down all the way. (Last week I had a situation in which all of the above conditions were applicable, but since there was a car in front of me, I took the added precaution of making sure the brake brought the car to a complete halt. BEEP!) It should be noted that in many places a driver can actually be ticketed for coming to a "rolling stop" rather than a full stop. The difference is subtle, but Snapshot clearly prefers the former to the latter.

In stop and go rush hour traffic, in shopping malls where cars are pulling into and out of spaces without paying attention, and when passing by commercial driveways on busy streets, these idyllic conditions do not usually apply. It's frustrating for a driver to brake for a car cutting them off and to hear "Jiminy" BEEP disapprovingly.

Here's where "Jiminy" can actually be dangerous. As I passed by the driveway of an office building on a major thoroughfare, a car pulled out in front of me. I actually found myself very consciously choosing between braking to avoid an accident and getting a "hard brake" on my Snapshot record. Fortunately my instincts kicked in and I braked--of course Snapshot BEEPed!--but it made me reflect on whether the device, which claims to have as its goal the improvement of my driving, was undermining my self-confidence as a driver by causing me to drive in order to please Snapshot, rather than relying upon my experience as a very safe driver. Snapshot BEEPing also has zero tolerance of braking for pedestrians who step out into traffic.

Here's another situation. When a car going 30 mph is less than 50 feet from a traffic light that changes from green to yellow, there ought to be time to stop rather than running the light. However, Snapshot will not approve of a hard stop, so more and more we are choosing to run through the yellow light instead of braking and setting off a BEEP. Frankly, at this point my husband and I are very sorry we changed insurance companies. Given it to do all over again, it would have been worth the difference in premium to not have the constant intrusion of Snapshot into our driving.

According to Snapshot, I have a B+ Snapshot rating, my husband has a C. (He does the driving whenever we go out together, so he does much more driving than I do, and therefore has more opportunities to incur Snapshot's censure. Prior to submitting this review, I attempted to contact Progressive directly to respond to my concerns. The website led me in circles (customer support says to log in, after logging in and going to customer support I was told I had to log in again...). There is nowhere to send a review like this prior to going public. So I am sharing this here.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I contacted Progressive Insurance because my car was intentionally hit 3 to 5 times and the driver drove off. Thankfully no one was hurt, but my vehicle is a complete loss, I have so many damning document's pictures, videos, and even an interview she made with a private investigator, admitting she hit my car! Meanwhile her vehicle was fixed fraudulently by claiming the damage happened somehow else!!! Progressive apologized on their insurers behalf and let me know they are investigating the claim! It has now been 5 weeks and was informed today by Progressive that my case is closed and there's nothing they can do to help me... It looks like I'm going to have to take this matter in my own hands and sue her civilly! I'm very upset and feel like Progressive Insurance is protecting someone who intentionally hit my car and committed insurance fraud, where do I go from here! Do not use Progressive Insurance Company.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My daughter has had Progressive Insurance for the last 5 plus years and has never had a claim against the insurance. She was in a car accident and Progressive stated her frame was bent on the car and they have totaled her car. She still owed some money on her loan. At first they stated they would pay off the loan and give her a check for the rest of the value of the car. The called about a week later and told her the car was not valued at what it should be because they stated she had over 270,000 miles on her car. They would not be paying off her loan on the car and it would be up to her to pay off the loan. There was no way she had that amount of miles on the car.

She disputed the claim and asked for proof of the mileage on her car. They sent a picture of a speedometer that had over 270,000 miles but it was not her car speedometer. The car was a tan car with a normal speedometer reading. Her car is a black car with a digital speedometer reading. We asked for the location of the car so we could go look at it ourselves and they said they didn't know where the car was located and they would get back to her. A couple of days later someone called from Progressive claiming they had their files mixed up and now they would give her the correct value of her car and that we didn't need to go look at the car. The car payment is still not paid off and now we are in a battle to get that paid off.

Now, the claim against her insurance for the other car is now becoming a nightmare. Progressive is stating that the damage to the other car exceeds the 10,000.00 they will pay. The repairs are far exceeding 10,000 but in another breath they are stating they are totaling the car. We have asked for a itemized detail of the repairs and what they will cost from a reputable auto repair shop. We have also asked where the car is located so that we can investigate ourselves if necessary. We can't get an itemized detailed invoice of the repair nor do we know where the vehicle is located so that we can have our own assessment done. We don't even know how much more the repairs will cost over the 10,000. So far I believe that Progressive is trying to con and deceive a young girl. Insurance fraud at its best. To be continued...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

For the year we were living in Florida while my husband was overseas, we used Progressive. It was our first time living in Florida. Twice a car hit our parked car while we were in a store or restaurant and twice we submitted the claim to cover the costs of fixing the major damages caused by the miserable people who drove off without leaving their information (which, honestly, very few people in this world are good enough to do). I've left a note for slightly bumping someone and leaving no visible marks! But, let's be honest here, people in general are not "good" and would not do this.

Progressive dropped us after this, stating that because Progressive had to pay out for these, we are considered at fault, therefore we are considered high risk. They should have an exemption or have a clause stating these situations would NOT count against the victim (us) and others, most likely many others, this happens to. I will NEVER consider Progressive again and I will recommend others to steer clear of them as well. The woman I spoke to on the phone was equally as terrible and I hope she has a tough night of tossing and turning for continuing to call us at fault.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

This is by far the nastiest insurance company I've ever dealt with. They will fight your claims and do everything not to pay. We've been lied to by the adjusters, management will avoid you and never respond. Good guy takes the case over and lied to again and again. Our RV was damaged in a tropical storm and after the shop gave quotes for repairs Progressive did everything to try and disprove the shops estimate and knowledge of repairs. Guess progressive claims reps do repairs on the side, not.

They will go out of their way to avoid paying a claim and make it always seem like it's all your fault. I wish it could go back 4 years and did my homework on them. I never would've made the switch for the lower rate. Worst mistake ever. Auto claim, well get ready to be more disgusted with that dealing. Was involved in a head on collision which resulted in 30k damages to our truck. They fixed it! 30k in repairs and they fix the truck. Now we are stuck with a truck that we can't ever trade in due to the severe damage it sustained. Went to 3 dealers to trade it in after the repairs and no one take this on trade. All 3 dealers couldn't believe this vehicle was fixed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

They are the worst. What started out as an easy process and low costs, it is now costing me an arm and a leg. Their customer service stinks. Their website is straight out of a boiler room operation. Go with another car insurance. Can't wait until my policy is over. They have schemes and scams to get the prices up before you know what hit you. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

What happened: January 2, 2018, 7:20 am - Blow out on Lebanon Pike, Nashville, TN; pulled into convenience store parking lot. Called Progressive Roadside Assistance: 8 to 9 pm and forward - 10+ phone attempts transferred to deadline. Called Progressive customer service and transferred multiple times into same deadline. After several hours of this contacted another Progressive number and that person told me the lines were dead and gave me a website to put in the roadside assistance request. Put in the request. After another couple hours and no response by text or phone, called Progressive sales department who put in the online request for me again. Waited until 2:45 pm with nothing; no contact at all.

The temperature was 8 to 12 degrees during this entire time. I was low on gas and didn't want my battery to die keeping the car running. I called my repair shop manager and asked if he would let me bill the tow; he did. My sister picked me up and I stayed at her house. Picked up the car next day. I didn't have money to pay for Uber. Did I ever get contacted by roadside assistance? I did... At 9:00 pm that night telling me a tow was on the way; and a followup text asking if it came at 2:00 am next morning.

What was I out of pocket? $99.00 for the tow and $130.72 for my holiday pay. My roadside assistance cost me a total of: $229.72. What did I learn? Progressive told me they do not underwrite the roadside assistance. It is provided by a company named Agero who also provides service for USAA and many other insurance providers. Progressive stated that they offer roadside assistance as a service only; they do not guarantee it at all, and it is Agero's decision to reimburse or not reimburse.

Progressive does not in any way interceded if the service isn't done according to what you think you paid for through Progressive. I think this is misleading since Progressive didn't tell me this when I added it to my policy. I also found out that I could buy the service direct through Agero for $69.00 a year which is cheaper than what I pay Progressive; so said insurance company gets what amounts to a referral fee on top of what Agero charges. If you file for reimbursement it will take at least 2 weeks and possible 2 months to get your money back, that is what a Progressive Supervisor told me. I will commend the Progressive chat CSR who did waive some late fees for me to help with the cost of what I lost. At least one person at the company takes ownership of something.

What will I do? I will cancel the roadside assistance once I get reimbursed and I will get it direct through another roadside provider like AAA. The insurance roadside assistance is a scam that the insurance company makes money off of without guaranteeing or standing behind the product. I am looking at other insurance providers as well as I feel Progressive misled me on the way the roadside assistance works and who is actually in control of it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My daughter got Progressive Insurance and it was supposed to be a reasonable rate. She gave them her debit card number online and must have missed a number in the card. They never called her never contacted her to let her know that it did not go through. They proceeded to cancel her insurance. She called back to get it figured out and they said because she had a lapse in coverage they were going to raise her rate over 100/month. She accepted it and moved on.

This morning she had a payment that 120 higher than what her payment was supposed to be. She called and they said that she did not provide proof of previous insurance and they were raising her rates...WTH. Do these people not have phones to call people? I have been with State Farm for 25 years and I can tell you they will call you in a minute if they need something or something is wrong. Progressive should be investigated for purposely trying to raise rates and steal from consumers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

They raised my rates because someone hit my car! Not my fault...just sitting there in traffic obeying the traffic laws when someone ELSE hit me. Progressive then raised my rates! Then charged me when I canceled my policy! Even though my policy was paid in FULL! They then threatened to hurt my credit if I didn't pay up their false charges!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My granddaughter was trying to check on the price for auto insurance. She filled in all the info they asked including her debit card and checking account info. The site was running so slow and after 20 minutes of waiting for it to process and move, she got frustrated. She removed all her debit card info and checking account info and exited the page. Three hours later she realized this had not been removed but processed. Upon calling a representative at Progressive, it was cancelled. Then she was told the $85 they had taken by debit card would take 14 days to process for return.

Seriously, the money was processed in two hours but 14 days for refund. NO!! These ripoff artists took advantage of a 17 year old and her first time to buy insurance by herself. We have all noted NEVER to call Progressive again if her money isn't returned immediately. Lesson learned!! And FYI, the supervisor she was transferred to only argued that no reports of website trouble had been logged. I knew that was a lie because I watched my granddaughter fill out the survey letting them know of the problem with their website. His only response was to argue with everything she said and was disrespectful doing it. Fortunately, we recorded it for our own benefit. Terrible!!! Run from these crooks!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My daughter got a quote from Progressive Insurance for car insurance. At no time did the agent or Progressive ask for details on any other individuals in the home. She signed up for the policy at $720 for 6 months. After she signed up she had to call and verify other people living in the household. They raised her premiums over $595.00 even though one of these individuals drives her car once every 6 months, if that and the other individual hasn't driven her car in over 2 years. They even charge you $100's to totally exclude people. Make sure the quote includes everyone living in the household. Needless to say, she cancelled the policy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

They are the worst. I have been a customer of Progressive Insurance for 7 years. Today, that I needed Road Side Assistance, I did not get it whatsoever. I initiated my call at 3:00 pm, by 3:52 that I was able to get them and schedule a towing for my car. I received a text message saying ETA for the service will be 5:26 - Fine. I called at 5:00 so to follow up make sure someone is on the way, to my surprise the agent said, "I am sorry. We have recorded the wrong # for you and need to re-schedule with the towing company." What!? Anyway, he said he will do his best to get someone out ASAP. Good, I get another text saying ETA @ 6:18. Waited & waited by 6:00 pm. I called the towing co. to get the status on the driver.

The lady answered goes, "We are very busy and cannot make it out." She added that she called Progressive to let them know. Whether she did or not, who knows, but never got a call from Progressive. I called Progressive and was on hold 40 min, when the rep answered she said, "I cannot populate the information based on the phone # you gave me and need to get your policy #", then she said cannot find anything. "I need your phone #", same she goes. "I am unable to find your record." Are you kidding me!? To make the long story short after she couldn't help I called to speak with a supervisor and explain why I am so frustrated now and so unhappy. Brian, the supervisor goes, "Let me check by calling our Roadside assistance dept", never apologized when I explained what happened.

He said, "Just hold on. Give me 2 min. I'll check and get back with you." I was on hold for 38 min then I gave up... Do you think anyone from Progressive called me back! NO. They are terrible. Clueless... Unprofessional. I have paid for 7 years ON TIME, no claims. All I needed is Roadside Assistance. Part of what I have been paying for and couldn't get that taken care of. It's a shame, Imagine it was a claim. Then what?? I am so disappointing and done with Progressive. STAY AWAY from Progressive, Unreal. Worst Customer Service, worst experience ever... I've attached a picture of their message, this is real complaint, genuine and for the people out there need to stay away from Progressive that is unable to deliver on the covered policy I paid for 7 years time. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I am certainly not surprised that out of 337 reviews Progressive was able to reach as high a rating, as One and half stars!! - a Gold member for 3 years we submitted our first road accident claim which was handled poorly. The adjuster was not even remotely empathetic, nor helpful in the situation, and now it seems that a towing and storage fee that we paid on their advice to alleviate accrued storage, will not be paid as we have no 'receipt' except for a Towing Bill which reflects "PAID" - A vehicle cannot be released from any towing facility without payment - even Progressive should know that!!! How disappointing. My advice to NEW policy seekers - Let the ratings speak for itself!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

This company doesn't listen to others. Just they will tell some stories, always protects criminals and refuses to provide claim. I have filed police complaint that other car with Progressive Insurance (Police provided me) hit my car and run away. When I reached Progressive they told they won't cover on the day. Police confirmed that their (Another car) Insurance is still active on the day of accident and Progressive is claiming that their insurance is disabled at the time of the accident. It doesn't make any sense Hitting somebody's car and disabling the insurance and hiding from Police and Progressive helping them to hide. Progressive is the worst company. And in my life, I won't do mistake of choosing Progressive for my own car. Instead am ready to pay more for other Insurance companies which will treat their Customers with great respect.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I was with Progressive for 5 years. Each year the price would slowly inch up a couple of dollars per month, which did not seem that bad at first. However about the 4th year of doing business with them without any accidents or claims the price went up tremendously. I contact them on several occasion to find out why the price continued to go up and got the standard "too many claims in your area." There was absolutely no quality customer service or satisfaction. In my 5th year my payment increased from 84.00 per month to 130.00 per month. When they asked if I would consider adding my home to the policy I said absolutely not. When I cancelled my insurance and paid the bill in full I later get a 35.00 bill for changing my address. This company has nickel and dimed me for 5 years. I will never used them again. Beware of their small increases they do not value loyal customers and that is bad business.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Couple things about this insurance. First, I signed up to snapshot program, they send me the device and it was worst experience ever. Even slow braking is treated as hard brake and dangerous driving. I was driving like 90 years old, never speeding nor hard breaking. I end up with $89 increase in my insurance cost. 2nd, I got hit and my car was totalled, they paid me $1800, same car with higher mileage is at least $4 500 on websites I searched. 3rd, because of that accident, even though it was not my fault, my insurance cost increased from $504 to $1100/months. Plus $89 increase from snapshot, so now my renewal is gonna cost over $1200 in January (insurance is valid thru 1.26). NOT WORTH TO SPEND TIME WITH THEM. BEEN THEIR CLIENT FOR OVER 4 YEARS AND THEY DO NOT CARE.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This company sent 3 failed contractors to fix a flat. Even the one tow truck driver couldn't tow a front wheel drive car because the back wheel was the flat one. Finally I walked and bought tools to fix and was done in 15 minutes. Then they raised my rates on my covered car because Snapshot wasn't working. $130 more. It is under a car cover for winter idiots!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I had an accident on 12/19, called the claims department on 12/20. Received a call from the adjuster the same day. Had my car at the body shop for repairs the next day. I have nothing but good things to say about Progressive. They provided the best service I have ever received from an insurance company in such a short period of time. They have 5 stars from me,

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Long time Progressive customer carrying full coverage for years. Had hit a deer and vehicle was a total loss. Average selling price for my vehicle was 5-6k. They deducted 3k and argued with me about the condition of my vehicle. I received $2,200. After trying for 3 days to get them to change the value. I was heartbroken. I was a property adjuster, my company would never treat our customers so poorly. When I think of all the premium we paid, I feel so cheated and depressed. Progressive is the worst company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

My family has switched over from Allstate to Progressive and wow what a huge mistake. The biggest issue we have been having is something that is common sense yet Progressive completely lacks. It's common sense to NOTIFY a CLIENT when you SUSPEND their insurance. Not once, not twice but three times!!! How much more idiotic can this company be. JUST NOTIFY ME.

Yesterday I got pulled over because of my insurance being suspended. However we went to Motor Vehicles the day before to register a car. In order to Register a car you need insurance, and we talked to someone from Progressive about registering our vehicle 3 days ago yet they did not think to notify us that our insurance was suspended for one car for 64 days. So now because they did not notify us we have to surrender our license plate for 64 days... Excuse me... We need our car. The amount of headaches I have acquired because of Progressive is substantial and unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was seeking assistance in obtaining a rental vehicle because my vehicle was involved in a accident that possibly rendered a total loss. The customer service rep., who spoke in a very irritated tone, proceeded to aggressively ask me questions about who I was; "Why didn't you contact the other insurance?" She told me I needed to go downtown and get a copy of the police report and that it would take a week for her to get the report. I was ridiculed by her. She made me very angry and upset for thinking I pay these people to help me and yet she would not. I will be seeking other coverage. I will not pay to be disrespected by them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I was stopped at a red traffic light waiting for it to turn green. As I was stopped in traffic my vehicle was struck hard from behind by an operator insured with Progressive. I thought doesn't get any simpler than this as I did nothing wrong and was just stopped at a red traffic light and struck from behind. I filed a claim with Progressive to have my vehicle repaired, which they denied to pay! Outrageous! They told me the person who struck me said his vehicle had a mechanical issue so the cause of the crash is in doubt! I don't know how these people live with themselves! Where do I go from here to have my vehicle fixed! The stress and aggravation is unbearable! I guess I will have to file suit against the operator? Progressive is on the level of the ** IRS Scammers! Beware!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I got a quote for auto insurance from Progressive Sept of 2017; down payment of $115 and 6 payments of $114. In Nov I called in to make a payment and their little automated system told me I needed to pay $180.00 to maintain policy. I called their customer service line and was advised since I did not register for paperless billing, sign a reject of uninsured motorist statement and create an online account I lost discounts that was quoted to me; I question to them was why was I not advised what the policy would be $180 if I did not do all the above.

So although they claim to offer you so many discounts there are conditions for having them; I just want to have coverage and don't want to play a do this, do that game to have coverage; who signs a statement saying they reject uninsured motorist? Isn't that a primary reason folks have insurance. I did try to work with them to restart the policy, however they refused to go back to original quote; needless to say I don't have Progressive anymore. Sorry Flo, you guys are more like "Regressive”! I was able to get a lower policy with another carrier with "uninsured motorist," and way less than first quote with "Regressive”!!!

Progressive expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.progressive.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use