Fast Free Quotes

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5
Based on 2,614 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I love this insurance company so far. We haven't had any accidents so I can't rate them there. I love the option online to change your bill due date for the next 3 months. It's not always there, so you can't just do it continuously but it's helped us out a couple times. Call customer service is very easy, most people are helpful and polite.

I did have an issue with one person. I accidentally made a duplicate payment to my account and when I called they said the duplicate payment hadn't posted to my account yet, and to call back when it does and they would take care of it. When I called back a different person said they couldn't refund payments, and she said something about a 15 day hold before they could do anything. And she said I should call my bank and hope they could fix it. I didn't like that answer so I called right back and got on the phone with someone else. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and when she came back she told me she was able to refund it.

So that other person, who had an attitude for no reason, just made all that up. She didn't try to ask anyone, just told me "too bad" pretty much. I don't understand people like that. If you have an issue like that with customer service, call back and talk to at least one other person. Every company has at least one person like that, so it didn't affect my rating. I've dealt with enough jerks in customer service that I knew to call back immediately.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

On October 21, 2019 I ran into a deer. I have been a Platinum Customer for Progressive and never expected to run into any situation. I pick up the phone in my insurance card and from that very moment I was assisted as a very valued Customer. They suggested the auto body shop in Kansas City, MO and at that shop they had a courtesy driver to take me from work into the car rental company and back to the auto body shop. The lady that attended my case at the auto body shop did everything to make me feel valued. The most stressful event I have ever experienced became a learning experience on how business oriented people/employees/employers care for their Customer. Progressive I will eternally be grateful and thankful.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I was a formerly insured by AAA. The day I walked into their office to cancel my policy is when my nightmare began. Not only did the representatives not care about what happened to my policy but I had to do all the legwork by making all the necessary phone calls. Bottom line, never assume someone else does their job. You have to be your own advocate and follow through. After all that, I signed with Progressive. My rates dropped and that's a wonderful thing. Their customer service is outstanding and I'm treated like a human being.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been with Progressive since 2015. I have never had an accident. My agent is non-existent because I have since moved far from the area where I first purchased the insurance. I have tried numerous times to change my agent, in hope of finding a local agent. I have been wanting to have my policy evaluated for better discounts. I believe I am not getting the discounts I am entitled to and I can't get my agent to return a call to me to help me out. When I want to inquire about anything it is easier for me to simply call the corporate office. Why then must I be stuck with an agent that is 3 hours away from me? It makes no sense to me. I have no use for this agent and he is no longer able to help me with my concerns.

Original review: April 15, 2019

A big shout-out to my agent William ** of “Insurance Services 3, Inc.” I recently moved to the US and was finding it rather costly and a pain to acquire car insurance from a reputable company. A couple of companies outright told me that I was uninsurable because I had no driving history in the US. I find Mr. ** to be a well-informed agent and a patient person who listens well. Thanks a million, and keep up the good work and thank you too progressive for not telling me I was uninsurable. Laura, A satisfied customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I was a customer of Progressive for 10 years and they treated me like crap. I bought a roof-top tent in July 2017. I reached out to Progressive to speak to a representative about whether I would need a change in coverage or if I would need to add coverage to my policy in order to cover the tent and all the equipment that had been installed on the roof of my car. I gave them the product details of the tent and the rack (both Yakima). The rep took some time to find out for me, and when he came back he told me that I would not need any coverage and that my current policy would cover me in the event of an accident or theft. Fast forward to November 2019 when my tent was sawed off of the top of my Volvo and stolen, I filed a police report and a claim. After three months of deliberation, they denied my claim, despite the representative telling me I would be covered in 2017.

The claim adjuster that came out to see my car even told me that I should be covered once I told him that a representative told me I would be covered 2 years earlier on a recorded phone conversation. In his exact words, he said: "If a representative told you you would be covered, then we almost always honor that and you should be covered." I have filed a BBB complaint and they still refuse to pay my claim. After 10 years with Progressive, covering both home and auto, I have canceled my policy due to this extremely poor customer service. I've paid so much in insurance premiums over 10 years without many claims so it is absolutely disgraceful that they refused to pay my claim (I would have still had to pay a $500 deductible).

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Worst experience of my life. Someone hit my car while I was park in front of my house, and it took an act of god to resolve. Worse insurance ever, do not respond to questions, take forever to approve a claim.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Progressive insurance advertises accident forgiveness if you have been insured with them for four years and haven’t had an accident in 3 years. I’ve been insured with progressive for over 5 years, had my first accident in 51 years a month ago and my rates increased significantly. Customer service said it was because of the accident. In my opinion this is either false advertising or a lie.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I was covered by Progressive auto for 5-6 years, although the records show from only 2018. Wanted to add homeowners, but they will not service my area due to a fire listed many years ago. But changing a vehicle and double premiums was the last straw prompting a cancellation which they put into effect the next day. I'm in dispute on a balance less than 100 dollars for a prorating balance plus installment fee's which are worked into every contract for every policy did you know!?

So many things went wrong trying to keep epic low premiums (fixed income) most caused by an underwriter. This policy wasn't even in the right name and found myself dropped from even being listed on the insurance card. I have no recourse but contacting corporate office for any adjustments as numerous calls to customer service personnel have little to no ability to waive balance due on a cancelled policy. Expecting status the cause!

I have found a policy with twice the coverage for half the cost also a much lower deductible if ever used - progressive is an income machine that with installment fees for every monthly payment that is never declared into the billions America. This giant is not the best and informed clients should think twice about being a long time loyal customer for many years like me - paying extra + extra + always in there favor on every possible angle.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I was quoted 649. I ended up pay 704. Then 2 days later told I have to pay more because I don't have health insurance. I have been out of work a year and Progressive agent knowingly lied about actual cost. I am now being told they will require more cash by 2/22. I am now going to be even further in debt by these scammers! Don't get scammed. Go elsewhere!

Not sure about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor