Progressive Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is one of the worst insurance companies I've ever dealt with. Took forever to handle my claim, did not answer calls in a timely manner, did not value my property fair, very disrespectful personnel. Progressive casualty insurance in Federal Way, WA are a bunch of thieves, closed my claim without my authorization. STAY AWAY FROM PROGRESSIVE, they lie!!!

I attempted to renew policy when I purchased my vehicle. The agent was a poor communicator and did not make me aware of the effect that they would only continue my previous policy that had a week left before payment was due. When I received notice of payment due I contacted customer service to ensure I in fact had coverage (this call was recorded). They confirmed all was good. A few days later my coverage lapsed and I was hit by another driver. Their incompetence and misinformation caused me to pay for the accident out of pocket. STAY AWAY. I today attempted to cancel my policy but they refused to cancel it and provide any cancellation in writing and instead informed me that by law they keep the policy open for 90 days in case the driver changes their mind for coverage. I stated I absolutely will never use them in the future.

I switched my car insurance to Progressive May 2017, I received an email June 2017 stating my insurance will cancel on 15th of June for claims made. I wasn't aware of any claims made, so I gave them a call because I was sure this was a mistake. I was told by a rep that a roadside assistance claim was made twice in May and they consider that a liability. When did roadside assistance which is a optional add on to your policy become a claim? I have had insurance since I've became a driver and have not ever heard of such BULL!

I submitted a quote online which was easy to do, however the very first question they ask is, "Is your vehicle financed?" which I replied, "Yes." This would lead anyone to believe that you would be getting additional coverage over basic liability, I submitted my driving record and information regarding my driving history. I submitted it and was surprised at the savings, I even called a representative to confirm it was correct. The Rep, or "insurance agent" said, “As long as you (me not being an insurance agent) put all of the information in correctly then yes that is the correct premium.” I buy the insurance and I'm happily driving around with my two new cars and two kids thinking that we're covered with full coverage.

Well I get into an accident and I find out that I only have liability and property and they even laugh at me on the phone when I explain how this all happened. I would never recommend them even if they were the best price for FULL COVERAGE simply due to their customer service and absolute disregard for paying customers well-being. They would sacrifice someone’s safety, well-being, career and life to get a monthly payment out of them regardless of how shady they have to be to do it!

We were unhappy with Progressive rates and went to quit coverage before the next month's fee, period. Progressive charged $339 and change for "leaving their service before our six month period was up". THIEVES! The average American is being financially raped by these "practices". Veterans should not be treated in this way. No respect for the consumer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive?

Progressive Insurance failed timely resolve my claim and tried to threaten and intimidate me. They are the biggest crooks around. They take your money for the premiums and then become crooks and thieves when you have a valid claim. Never trust them. Never do business with them. They shouldn't be allowed to do business.

I joined with Progressive online car insurance over a year ago. When I had joined I was certain I gave the correct DOB. They've changed it on the policy and they are now blaming me for it, telling me I've lied about my age. Why would I add 13 years on top of myself? How stupid is that? I had a car accident on the 12th of April. It's now May. CLAIM consultant is investigating my scene. I've paid full comprehensive and had an accident just like a thousand other people do. 10.40pm on the 12th of April is when I had this accident. Is she allowed to investigate me? Yes I believe so. But why?

I got drug and alcohol tested on the scene of the accident and I've sent her through the fine from the police. Shes now asked me for THREE months worth of bank statements and THREE months worth of PHONE records, FROM the 12th and 13th of April LISTING who I spoke to, the reason and time of the calls and texts. I had rang her and told her that would have taken me way too long so if she had any problem give me a call and I will reason those calls with her. IS she allowed to ask for three months worth of phone records. I've never heard of any car insurance company ask for such past history information. Has nothing to do with the accident time. PLEASE HELP. She's taken almost 2 months to finalise my claim. I've been honest about everything and I think this is just not fair.

I have been ripped off by Progressive continually. I had one claim with my previous insurance though it involved my truck and travel trailer. It showed as two claims. I got a letter from Amica stating that it was only one claim that they were reading it wrong. They jacked my rates for three years until it dropped off. Then I was out of the country with work. My insurance lapsed by 14 hours and they tripled my rate. Then just today after another three years my rates went down. I get a notice out of the blue that my insurance went from 247$ mo. on tow vehicles to 450 next month to 555 the next and 387 the next. What friggin' magic calculator do these people have, I called. Their excuse "WE TRIED TO RUN YOUR WIFE'S DMV RECORD AND THERE WAS NONE FOUND. SO WE ARE SURCHARGING YOU."

My wife has been listed on the policy but as a non driver for three years as she has no license. They know this. They asked this. THEY KNOW SHE DOESN'T DRIVE. HOW THE HECK DO INSURANCE COMPANIES GET AWAY WITH IT. The other thing is that they are paying pennies on the dollar for what claims are worth, they wouldn't pay any repairs on my stolen vehicle and claimed it was wear and tear and age. It was a month old and under warranty. Told me to have the warranty cover it. Then recently had a fender bender. They quoted a bunch of junkyard parts and estimated 4700 less than the body shop. Any advice. Where does it stop.

Bundling? More like bungling. Called Progressive to take advantage of bundling my home/auto. Was given a quote as to my savings on my auto. Sounded like a good deal. They promised a lower homeowner premium and $10 every 6 months on my auto. When I got to the auto, they changed it to saving me $6 every 6 months. By the time I got to the bottom line, they saved me $2. They are an inept bunch of liars. Save yourself a bundle of time and shop someplace where they can be honest.

All consumers PLEASE READ THIS! I am the most dissatisfied customer EVER! This and maybe ALL companies are scams! I can only speak on this scamming company because I WAS a customer but I am glad I'm not anymore. So my first payment was returned to me because of an error with the routing number. I fixed that issue. I bought the insurance April 10. On April 21 I was rear ended. I made a claim with my company. Long story short, I received a cancellation in the mail because of 2 reasons. 1, the payment issue WHICH I did fix and 2, the claim that was made within the 30 days. I spoke to a woman and basically there was nothing I can do. They NEVER told me about the claim within 30 days thing. These ** took my money and I will NEVER get PROGRESSIVE AGAIN!

My car got hail damage on May 8, 2017. My 2 side mirrors are broken, it will cost me about $1000 because has heated mirrors etc. It's a safety issue but they didn't want to give me the money to fix it. They gave me a "bogus check" that I couldn't cash it to at least help me buy the mirrors. Find a different insurance company, this company only want your money but don't want to help you in a time needed. Very disappointing.

Was hit in the rear by a Progressive insured. Met with Progressive adjuster who quoted my vehicle repair. Received quote from another repair shop that was higher. Progressive would only pay what their adjuster quoted. Also, both repair shops quoted 3 day repair. Progressive would only allow car rental reimbursement at their discounted rate. A hundred emails and hours spent driving to places to meet their requests and I'm stuck with Progressive telling me where to fix and how much they will pay. They make you feel like you're the one at fault, not their insured. Stay away and hope you don't get rear ended by Progressive!!

The worst ordeal dealing with ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE COMPANY USED BY PROGRESSIVE on night of 5/23. Made over dozen calls to company and companies they supposedly sourced to come out to help with flat tire. This is by far the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I dealt with 3 different people - all trained to say I apologize unsympathetically. Like freaking robots with no emotions. It took over 4 hours to get anyone out to help me. Progressive needs to rethink about the reputation they are building with this so called roadside assistance company they use.

On Christmas Eve 2016 my car was hit parked on the street out front of my house. From the very start of my claim I was treated as if I was only trying to collect a check. After I confirmed that I was going to actually have my car fixed. They are now claiming that my car was hit twice while parked. They are telling me that a tree had fallen on my car and someone backed into as well. They have made this into 2 separate claims. With 2 deductibles. Their interpretation of what happened is impossible. A tree could not have fallen on my car with where it was parked and there is no evidence that any tree had fallen on my street. It does look like a truck with a load of brush on it backed into my car. Progressive's staff has been argumentative and unwilling to work with me. No one from Progressive has even come out to my house to see where the accident happened. If they had. They would see that a tree could not have fallen on my car.

I filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner. Their response was to call my insurance broker and talk ** about me. They told my broker that they are going to drag this out until my rental reimbursement runs out. They also went on to tell my broker that my filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner will do nothing, that the I.C. cannot make them do anything. All my filing a complaint did was piss them off. My car being hit while parked is exactly why one has insurance. Progressive does not take care of their customers. They do not provide the peace of mind knowing you do have insurance. All Progressive does is give you a hard time and inconsistent answers. Them running my 1 accident as 2 claims shows that all they want is more money by making you pay 2 deductibles for 1 accident. No one there is willing to work with me on this.

I have received the worst customer service ever. I am surprised that they can remain in business treating their customers so badly. This was my first claim with them. My car is still not fixed. I am still going round and round with them. Meanwhile my car is sitting at the body shop and I'm in a rental that is costing me $10.00 a day.

My wife and daughter were in an accident 5-18-17. Dealing with my Claims Generalist Assoc. is a joke from South Plainfield, NJ. Makes me feel like our fault when other driver got careless for rear-end accident. I'm very sorry I been with this co. for 10 years. To get somewhere I need a lawyer. Once again Progressive not me at fault then you blame lawyers. Why it's your co. not the lawyer's. Oh well can't wait to see this outcome. Good luck Progressive.

Progressive is the worst insurance company & don't care about customers. They dropped my coverage without notice and I rode around without coverage for 30 days before I noticed. They made excuses to not reinstate. Wrongful cancellation. Poor customer service.

My 22 year old daughter got in an accident and her car is not drivable. She reported the accident to Progressive that same day in the early afternoon. She was told someone would call her to set up an appointment to estimate the damage. She has not heard from anyone and it has been 4 days. Progressive claims they tried calling her and sent an email. She received one call from an unknown # and no message was left. No email was received. She has called several times and gets a different story. I called as well. Listen up Progressive! I am a homeowner and own a vehicle. You will be the last company I consider for my insurance.

Sent balance due to claims without notifying me. I used Progressive Commercial on a commercial vehicle policy from approximately September 2015 until April 2017. I went with Progressive because it was the most reasonably priced for the coverage that I wanted. Whenever I needed to add or remove a driver from the policy there is someone who is always available. When the business was no longer profitable for me, I contacted Progressive again and asked them to cancel the policy. I was not told at the time that I still owed any additional money and thought that everything was squared away. That was until I received a phone call in May from a collection agency stating that I owed Progressive $290 for a remaining balance.

I contacted Progressive to find out what was going on and they said they had sent me a bill (not sure if it got lost in the mail but I never received it) but that I would need to pay the amount with the collection agency. I immediately settled the unpaid balance with the collection agency. I was furious that I had no communication (phone call, email, letter) from Progressive or my local carrier that I still owed a balance, and the first communication I received was from a collection agency. I take my personal and business credit very seriously and this lack of communication could have been something that could have remained a bad mark on my record for at least 7 years.

I was quoted and started a 6 month policy for 170/month. The first month I paid the 170 but the second month the bill was higher. When I asked why they had told me the previous amount was just my initial payment but that the higher amount for the second month was actually going to be my monthly amount. The third month it went up AGAIN and I was told that I was misinformed earlier on but that the third month's amount due was actually my monthly income. I sucked it up after realizing that I cannot change the company and continued to pay it to have my car insurance.

Mid way through my policy I turned 25... I was excited and expected my rate to go down, of course. When I called, I was told that my rate would go down but that I would have to wait because I cannot change anything on my already existing policy. After paying my last month of insurance due for the 6 month policy I had realized it was finally time to save some money on my rate... I called hoping to hear what my next better rate would be and I was told I had to wait till the end of the month to find out even though I had already paid the policy off in full.

I called back for the final time at the end of that month, once again, excited to hear a cheaper rate and the lady not only told me that I am not getting a discount because me be 25 is not a guaranteed factor but also that my rate is going to be MORE than it was before. By the way nothing on my driving record had changed, so when I asked how in the hell it was more when it should be less... she told me it was only because the rate I had prior was actually a discounted rate because I had agreed to efiling (that's when all business is done electronically instead of using paper). I said, ok and why and the heck is that not the case this time? "Well because it is only offered for your first policy." You would think it would be the opposite but instead they start out sounded good only to trick you in the end! Highly disappointed and will not be renewing any policy or policies for that matter!

The representative dropped my phone call multiple times after picking up. I have no clue why but that is complete disregard of the customer's experience. She said she will pick up the call back, but I tried more than 10 times, she picked the call up and dropped it back.

I had an accident more than a month ago. There were three cars hit each other. I was the second one. I stopped in time but the third car pushed me on to the first car, so there are only slightly scratch in the front but the rear part of my car got damaged badly. Progressive is the 3rd car's insurance company and they only want to pay 50% of my total damage!! 99% damage is on the rear part but they just want to deny!!! They are taking advantage of my slight language barrier (and I'm an Asian) and they're throwing to me bad, bad attitude! I don't know what they will do if I'm not a minority, but probably they will pay 100% if that is the case because THEIR CLIENT DID HIT MY CAR FROM THE BACK AND THEY JUST WANT TO DENY THE RESPONSIBILITY!!! I feel like that is definitely discrimination!! I have to go to the court to deal with them because they're too hard to work with!!!

They will not pay a claim... very bad company. The best is State Farm. I got hit in a parking lot hit-and-run and I needed a new door. And they gave me the hardest time to make the claim then accused me of being fraudulent, and denied my claim. This is the worst company to go with!!! I have never had an accidental before and they treated me like I was a criminal that was trying to get money from them, please do not use this company. They are a scam company. They will not help you. They need to be investigated by the government!!! Very unfriendly!!!

And they had a hidden charge on me when I canceled. They said I owed the 133.00 because of monthly compound interest fees because I did not show proof of prior insurance that I was cover the whole time I had my car. And they never told me I had a separate bill that was racking up. I always paid on time and never missed a payment!!! It's a sham that this company projects themselves as this great company but they are horrible and will rob you!!! And yes I am going to file a lawsuit for a $500 door that they refused to fix. Got a lawyer and in the process!!! Good luck everyone and know this they just want your money!!!

Progressive is a ripoff. They make you pay all this money in premiums a month and soon as an incident happens. They cater to the other person (paid out 3600 for a whole porch) when the damages was confined to a certain area. The young man the claim was assigned to didn't know anything. Once I spoke with the manager William, he didn't care about my feelings or concerns regarding the payout. As a consumer I feel like they paid out entirely too much for damages that wasn't caused by the insurer. I will be finding another company because they're giving money away and causing our premiums to rise.

Granted this is the only policy that would accept me after my first and last DUI at the age of 23. With that being said I am paying near half my rent for this terrible experience. So when I am charged an extra $100 dollars for not going paperless I got nervous. Now I was very calm throughout this process and yet was given an attitude by the man on the other line. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. FULL ON DIVA ATTITUDE. I've never been so floored by the tone of a voice. I just hung up and swallowed the payment because I am two months away from being out of this awful policy. Sad sad company. RUN WHILE YOU CAN!

Yesterday I went to the court and discussed the matter before the judge and I was told the person who rear ended us actually had insurance. The Progressive claims manager tells me there was no record of a call from the court. Surely the court would not be telling a lie saying that a telephone call was placed with Progressive. Apparently the clerk of the court placed the call to Progressive Insurance. We need to get the damage to the car taken care of.

It takes up to 10 business days for them to issue a refund for my cancelled auto insurance policy. I think that is rather criminal and backhanded on their part. It takes up to two days for them to process funds going to them, but five times that to get them returned. I find that to be rather unacceptable. Shame on them for unethical and unfair business practices. They have lost my business, period.

I have had an open claim for 6 weeks now with no movement. My rep does not return my phone calls, and my estimator just doesn't show up for appointments. Basically a nightmare. They have no respect for their customers or other people's time. Will be canceling my policy as soon as this is resolved.

I recently received notice. They would not be renewing my policy after being a customer since 2012 because I used roadside assistance too many times within a 3 year period. When I spoke with an underwriter he was completely fine with dropping me stating using it counted as a "claim." Why would they make a customer pay for the service, but penalize them for using it? I hope a class action suit gets started and they have to pay back everyone who has paid roadside assistance fees.

A person that has a Progressive insurance policy hit my car, my son was driving it. No big deal. Accidents happen. But then I had to deal with Progressive! Going down the road my lane car backs out of driveway, slam on breaks, they hit my car... Progressive then says, "Oh you didn't try to avoid the accident enough so you're 20% liable!" Seriously! Awful insurance company! No apologies. Just try to blame the other driver so they don't have to pay all of the damage. Believe me we'll fight it! At least the guy that hit my car felt bad, took responsibility and apologized. Too bad his insurance company is awful.

I was rear ended at a red light by someone who decided to lay head on steering wheel. The vehicle was insured by Progressive. I contacted my carrier & Progressive. My carrier closed it since the other driver was at fault & had no damage. After a week Progressive said I had no proof their customer had rear ended me & accused me of filing a false report since they hadn't been able to contact driver. I called police dept. Got accident report. Emailed it to Progressive.

After a few days Progressive called back said they still couldn't pay for my vehicle because they hadn't spoken to her. I texted number from police report another occupant from vehicle called who was suppose to be owner cussed me out & threatened me said I had all info I needed. Progressive was finally able to speak to driver after that call but she refused to give him info on policyholder so they can verify the vehicle wasn't stolen. Progressive says since they can't verify it wasn't stolen they can't pay my claim. So now I have to pay my deductible & let my insurance sue the driver.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.
  • Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.
  • Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.
  • Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.
  • 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Compare Auto Insurance