Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
3.71/5
Based on 2,759 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

4052 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been with Progressive since 2015. I have never had an accident. My agent is non-existent because I have since moved far from the area where I first purchased the insurance. I have tried numerous times to change my agent, in hope of finding a local agent. I have been wanting to have my policy evaluated for better discounts. I believe I am not getting the discounts I am entitled to and I can't get my agent to return a call to me to help me out. When I want to inquire about anything it is easier for me to simply call the corporate office. Why then must I be stuck with an agent that is 3 hours away from me? It makes no sense to me. I have no use for this agent and he is no longer able to help me with my concerns.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My insurance reps at Progressive have been so amazing to me after the accident. I could have filed with the other person's insurance but I didn’t feel comfortable because I felt like they wouldn’t have been an advocate for me. Thankfully in the end the other person's insurance took liability after they read the police report explaining that the other person caused the accident because she failed to yield and there was nothing I could have done to stop it. But Progressive waived my deductible instead of me having to pay and then get reimbursed by the other insurance, they just waived it completely. They made getting a rental car a breeze and have been in contact with me almost every day since the accident. They also worked with the collision center fixing my car and it will be complete sometime next week instead of in 3 weeks. It’s been a horrible week but I’m so thankful for them advocating for me. They really made an awful situation a little less awful.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I wanted to make a review for Progressive because I got in a car accident 8 days ago, while having Progressive auto insurance. I came to look at the reviews to see what I was in for in terms of my claim. I saw mostly negative or middle-of-the-road reviews. This made me sure nervous. But it's now a week after my car accident and I have been nothing but super impressed with Progressive.

I was hit by an uninsured driver who ran a red light. My car was totaled. I just had purchased my car a few months prior and had an outstanding auto loan. Within 5 days, Progressive had paid off my car loan, less my deductible, which left me owing a few hundred dollars on my car. But the value they gave my car was more than fair, I expected to have a balance of at least $1500 on the loan after settlement. Anyhow, to have it all handled within a week was amazing, I already have a new car, and my insurance premium did not go up. I wasn't at fault, so it shouldn't have gone up in my mind. But I have had increases in the past after not-at-fault accidents with another insurer, so I am really happy Progressive didn't do that as well. Anyhow, overall it was a great experience. And claims service aside, the website is very user friendly and customer service has always been great.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When I had my 2001 Ford Focus I was insured through Progressive. I was with them for about 5 years when I had my accident. I got hit in the back by a small pickup on a rainy day. It was my first major accident so I was feeling a bit anxious and stressed out but they took good care of me. They got me a loaner for 2 weeks and processed my medical benefit claim in a timely fashion. I didn't have to deal with the other driver's insurance at all since my Progressive agent handled it for me.

Unfortunately my car was written off as total loss but I got a nice check for it. I was very glad that I bought the optional medical expense coverage because it paid for my out of pocket physical therapy. I think it only costed $80 for 6 months so it was a great value. Overall I would rate Progressive as above average to good. I would happily recommend this company to anyone who might need car insurance. If my car wasn't written off I think I would still be with Progressive.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been a Progressive customer for a few years & have a great record. I recently had a total loss accident (not at fault). I filed a claim & found these reviews on this site & got scared on how Progressive would handle the claim. Let me tell you - the service was stellar! I have absolutely no complaint. I barely had to do anything. I promised myself I would come back here & write a review because if you sit here & reads these reviews, you’ll scare yourself to death.

If you read the reviews on this site for all the reputable insurance companies, it’s the same. I swear, one tiny thing goes wrong & people blow it out of proportion. Either that, or reviewers are leaving out details of things they did wrong & just putting the blame on the company. I had a great experience with Progressive. 5 star company with 5 star service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

My sister was in an accident Saturday 9/14/19 and I have been trying to get this settled without hiring an attorney but the claims representative Chad **, obviously needs to have an attorney on his ** in order for things to get done. Maybe Progressive should look into their claims reps thoroughly as they are obviously costing Progressive big bucks.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Anyone looking for insurance coverage stay away from Progressive. They are a dishonest company that will not honor the terms of your policy thus stealing from you as a customer. I paid for an auto policy that closeted comprehension, collision, rental car, roadside assistance, loan/lease pay off and everything in between amounting to a monthly bill of over $200. When my vehicle was hit in a parking lot while I was watching fireworks with my son I contacted Progressive and the local PD. I filed a police report, turned over my vehicle to the repair shop and picked up my rental. I thought everything was going fine and just like my policy stated. That was until they decided to total out my car and transfer my claim to Franchesca a representative out of Utah. That is when everything went downhill.

For starters she canceled my rental car after 10 days (my policy covered 30 or $1500) and to top it off she never informed me she canceled my rental car. The rental company thankfully called me. Otherwise I would of been liable for any days past the day she canceled. I spent a week prior to her canceling to get a return call from her. Then after my rental car incident she presented me with a offer for my now totaled vehicle. The offer she sent me was over 2k below the market average, didn’t include any of my upgraded packages, the brand new tires on my car that she had an invoice for, my Gap coverage and she was charging me a deductible despite the fact that I didn’t have one due to the amount of coverage I had purchased.

I refused her offer to which her response was to try and force me to accept it by threatening me. I sent her multiple emails with questions. She refused to answer and when I confronted her about those emails she responded in a mocking and degrading way. Disrespectful yes but that’s her prerogative. If she wants to be a disrespectful person she can be. I contacted an attorney and scheduled an outside party to appraise my vehicle which is my right as per their company policy.

The week of my appraisal Franchesca closed my claim as an owner retains offering a fraction of what my vehicle is worth still not including any of the extra coverage I paid for and refusing to answer any phone calls or emails once again. What they have done is illegal. They did not act in good faith nor did they honor the contractual agreement between us with my policy. So I urge anyone who is thinking about using Progressive to reconsider. They are not a good company and if given the opportunity they will take your money and refuse to provide you with the coverage you are paying for. I will never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

If you like shady scammers then Progressive is for you! My husband was rear-ended Sept 2 2017. They offered him measly squat. My husband was end stage COPD and lost his battle Aug 21st. Just before statute ran out for a whopping $2,000. Progressive is refusing to give me the claim $ to put towards my husband's grave marker. Register of wills lady spoken with them regarding a legal letter she has written 1000s of even accepted by IRS. Progressive refuses to accept it. They generously gave me 1 month to have a grieving spouse jump through hoops, wants me to deal with opening stuff through courts etc. Even though we have a will! How horrible is this?? If you like scum go with them. Can't even grieve. Well would've been nice to have dates on my dear hubby's stone.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

One-time discounts were applied to quote for $171 6mo coverage. At renewal time w/ snapshot discount of $50, premium was $166. Premium was over $200, and more than what I was paying for my insurance before I switched. This is a bait and switch scheme. I have filed a complaint with my state insurance commissioner. Now as I'm searching for new insurance, Progressive is stating I was insured for less than a year, even though I have had continuous insurance for 10+ years, with no tickets/accidents or claims in my life.

When you are looking for lower premiums for car insurance, consumers are not expecting the quote with discounts!! Especially after using snapshot for 6 months, driving less than 1000 miles, with no incidents, and the discount from snapshot is $50. Wow, my new premium should be around $110 for a 6mo premium based on my driving score. BTW, my occupation is a school bus driver, so I actually drive for work for the last 12 years, again with a perfect driving record.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have a bit of information that I think needs to be shared about this insurance company specifically its policies and procedures. On September 12, 2019 I went to check my email. Progressive had sent me a change of policy which I thought was kind of strange since I hadn’t changed anything on my policy. Going to my account I found that they had automatically added my oldest daughter on to my auto insurance. Now, my daughter hasn’t lived in the same state as me for years. She’s almost 30 years old, has her own cars, home, family. How in the world did she get onto my car insurance? And who had authorized it???

Of course, I called to find out what was going on. First, I talked to a woman named Mariah in Customer Service which transferred me to the underwriter department and a woman named Christina. Come to find out that the underwriters for the company had decided to add my daughter to my account. Why? Because at one time she had lived at this address and had Progressive Insurance. Wait….what? So just because my daughter used to live here and had Progressive insurance she could be automatically added to my policy by an underwriter? Who are these underwriters that think they can just do whatever they want to anyone’s policies?

They don’t know what is going on outside their computer screen and they have no right to just assume information with no proof. Oh yes, at one point she had lived in my home and they didn’t have any proof that she no longer lived here. Christina then informed me that I (yes, me!) needed to provide them proof that she didn’t live here. No…I don’t think so. I didn’t add her to the policy, I don’t work for Progressive. I pay the company Christina works for to insure my vehicles!!! Not to tell me who is on them or that I must do paperwork to take them off when a person I didn’t add to the policy shouldn’t even be there in the first place! Christina told me that was how their policies worked. Not for me.

Progressive obviously doesn’t work for me. No one should have to right to add whomever they choose to my policy whenever they choose. It’s my policy. I think that maybe I know my world a little better than they do. I happen to know who lives in my house and who drives my vehicles! I told Christina that she needed to take my daughter off the policy. She again, told me that I needed to show proof that she didn’t live with me. No, Christina I don’t. I don’t NEED to do anything. But I am going to switch insurance companies. Congratulations on having one less patron to Progressive's business. By midnight tonight your services are no longer needed!

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky