2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5
Based on 1,865 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Direct model means lower rates
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance
  • Fast claims process

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
Progressive Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my back always. Customer service is really good. If I need to just get information on something, they are always polite. And for me, I always talk to a live representative and not a foreign country or automation. That is important to me. The app is great to pay my bill every month. Very user friendly.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I love the snapshot service that they offer. It keeps me driving responsibility. If you stop to hard or take a corner too fast or what is considered unsafe, it will make a sound to notify you that it just did a snapshot. I have had my insurance lowered by 20.00 a month. It may not seem like a lot but over a year that's a savings of 240.00, that's 240.00 more that I can spend on date night with my husband, groceries or whatever I would like to spend it on or save it for a rainy day. Customer service reps are knowledgable on products and services. Love the savings.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I got into my second accident in 6 years recently, totaling my vehicle and getting injured. Both accidents were the other driver's fault and Progressive made a terrible situation a lot more manageable by responding to all my questions and concerns quickly, following up with next steps and making the whole process easy. They even offered options for picking up my payment check at the office to get it sooner or have it mailed. They reminded me about reimbursement for taxes, title and fees on my new vehicle, saving me over $500 dollars. Most of all everyone I spoke with over the phone was friendly and genuinely understood the stress of the situation and offered to assist in any way. I couldn't have been more pleased with the service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I love this insurance company so far. We haven't had any accidents so I can't rate them there. I love the option online to change your bill due date for the next 3 months. It's not always there, so you can't just do it continuously but it's helped us out a couple times. Call customer service is very easy, most people are helpful and polite.

I did have an issue with one person. I accidentally made a duplicate payment to my account and when I called they said the duplicate payment hadn't posted to my account yet, and to call back when it does and they would take care of it. When I called back a different person said they couldn't refund payments, and she said something about a 15 day hold before they could do anything. And she said I should call my bank and hope they could fix it. I didn't like that answer so I called right back and got on the phone with someone else. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and when she came back she told me she was able to refund it.

So that other person, who had an attitude for no reason, just made all that up. She didn't try to ask anyone, just told me "too bad" pretty much. I don't understand people like that. If you have an issue like that with customer service, call back and talk to at least one other person. Every company has at least one person like that, so it didn't affect my rating. I've dealt with enough jerks in customer service that I knew to call back immediately.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

On October 21, 2019 I ran into a deer. I have been a Platinum Customer for Progressive and never expected to run into any situation. I pick up the phone in my insurance card and from that very moment I was assisted as a very valued Customer. They suggested the auto body shop in Kansas City, MO and at that shop they had a courtesy driver to take me from work into the car rental company and back to the auto body shop. The lady that attended my case at the auto body shop did everything to make me feel valued. The most stressful event I have ever experienced became a learning experience on how business oriented people/employees/employers care for their Customer. Progressive I will eternally be grateful and thankful.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

The test of insurance company is how they handle a claim and investigate. Progressive is more interested in clearing the claim than investigating. You send in your information and pictures and they never contact you again except to notify you of the decision, which is final. My claims adjuster took a month to get back to me, never made any further inquiry, then rudely rejected the claim. Progressive spends money on a lot of advertising. I think the business model is akin to a Ponzi scheme... sign people up, get their money, and when a claim is made, get rid of you as fast as possible, regardless of fault.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

After purchasing a new car, I wanted full coverage insurance and decided to go with Progressive Auto. After spending over $700 for 6 months, they wanted more proof of where I'm living. They even sent a cancelation notice (which meant to me, they didn't want my business). So, I call. The customer service rep noticed their underwriting team didn't accept any of my 4 proofs of residence and wanted more. The documents they wanted included my SS# which I did not want to send them. They made it clear that they didn't want to accept a new hybrid car. I'm very upset and paid a lot of money for the coverage. They didn't want my business, so I'm going with another company. I wanted to share my experience with you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I have had their insurance almost 2 years. During covid I had banking problems and somehow our bill pay had errored and they cancelled my policy over less than 25 dollars while accepting my payment. Not only was it 25 dollars but it was less than 30 days.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I have had my vehicle insured with Progressive for years - full coverage, ALL the bells and whistles. Even have homeowners with them. Got in a little fender-bender moving about 15 mph. Impact didn't even deploy air bags. Hood bent up slightly. Rest of car is fine. Progressive TOTALED my vehicle without any of their adjusters even looking at it, or having it inspected by a body shop. The adjuster based his opinion solely on the pictures we texted him. My vehicle is a 2009 model, but in excellent condition with very low miles, but they claimed it would cost more to repair the hood than the value of my car!

I was instructed to take everything out of the car and remove the license plates and they were going to tow my vehicle to a city 200 miles away to have it inspected by one of their "specialty" adjustors. In other words, my car was headed to auction. The adjuster was horrible over the phone - talked over me and even argued about paying for my rental car & towing expenses (which are included in my policy). The entire process seemed very shady to me. But I knew one thing....I wasn't about to remove the license plate and have anyone take my vehicle 200 miles away to be inspected when it could have been done here locally!

I opted to pay for the repairs out-of-pocket....which was probably their goal from the beginning. I'm not GIVING my vehicle to Progressive. When I think of all the money I've forked over in premiums to Progressive over the years, it makes me furious. So be warned....It really doesn't PAY to carry full coverage on an older model car. One tiny little scratch and they're going to total it. I'll be cancelling with Progressive, for sure.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I give Progressive zero stars. Why? They do not care about their customers at all!! Our 2017 Prius C with 22410 miles on it was totaled June 18. Every person we dealt with could of cared less about us and acted like everything was take or leave it CUZ WE DONT CARE ABOUT PEOPLE! The only visible damage was to the lift gate and bumper cover. It happened in a parking lot at 5ish mph. A week later I was contacted by an agent Joe ** pretending he was like the secretary for the agent and his hands were totally tied. I informed him my husbands brother owned a body shop and I was totally aware of what happens when your car is damaged from accident to dealing with insurance. He actually told me he was afraid of getting fired if he asked his “manager” to give us the cars real value WHAT???? He pretended they used a magical formula from JD Power!!!!

Our car value by JD power/NADA guide Was about 16500ish dollars. NADA is the gold standard used by all insurance agencies. But the secretary agent Joe ** offered 13500ish then he said our final offer was 14100ish. I told the agent secretary guy that after I pay the balance of the loan I'll have 11118.00. Not enough to buy a comparable car. I live near Madison WI. Prius is a a very popular car in the area. A used Prius with 50000 miles retails for 18900.00!! We are unable to buy a similar car like we just lost!! We know Progressive is going to send our car to an auto auction and get 10000.00 so they are only out 4000ish dollars on our claim.... And the agent gets the money he could of given us as a bonus!! (It's a new practice that encourages them screw you.)

We bought our progressive Insurance through an agency in our town. The guy is inheriting the business from his dad.... He told us we were our own agents!!??!! I said, "What are we paying you for then??" Entitled?? Needless to say we were screwed No matter what we said. Then it took 50 days to get our check. It arrived July 31. Was cashed on August 4. We bought a new car the next day. I sent the agent secretary guy Joe ** an email with the purchase contract Attached to get the sales tax check of 1500.00 ish dollars. After a week I got an email saying I sent him blanks?? I resent another copy saying the attachment was there when I checked my sent mail!!

I got an email to review my experience. I filled it out and wrote the same thing I’m writing here. I clicked do you want a manager to call. I got a call the next day from a Progressive Manager. He added insult to our already injury!! He didn't give a care about how we felt re our experience and said he couldn’t help?? Even though knew we got lowballed but there was nothing from him but crickets. The only positive was he told the guy who was holding our check Joe ** the agent secretary guy to put our check in the mail today!! It’s August 18 and been almost 70 days now and this still isn't over!!

All he did was add insult to the injury we already felt from Progressive. I felt like the wound was reopened intentionally by the “Manager”. He was supposed to offer help. I felt he called just so he could laugh in my face!! Even a manager has a boss. I plan to call because I want to know if anyone in the progressive ins agency cares that we went through and that we felt mocked and abandoned by everyone we have dealt with. I will spend the rest of my life telling everyone I know we were treated like we were expendable by Progressive. Because Progressive doesn't need Its customers. It just needs our MONEY!!

Progressive Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company, in addition to auto insurance, offers property, personal and commercial insurance products. Customers can bundle these plans with their auto insurance. The company’s Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty and offers benefits like accident forgiveness. Features include 24/7 customer service and plenty of discounts.

• Coverage and plans: Beyond basic auto insurance, Progressive has add-ons like gap insurance, pet injury protection, coverage for custom parts and equipment and a deductible savings bank.

• Cost: Full coverage from Progressive costs about $1,750 a year, while minimum coverage sits closer to $750 a year.

• Discounts: Progressive’s discounts include savings for good students, homeowners, multivehicle policies, bundling, good drivers, continuous insurance, upfront payment and automatic payments.

• Standout feature: Progresssive’s Snapshot program reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This ensures a driver is paying the right amount for insurance.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor