2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.52/5

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Direct model means lower rates
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance
  • Fast claims process

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
Progressive Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I got into my second accident in 6 years recently, totaling my vehicle and getting injured. Both accidents were the other driver's fault and Progressive made a terrible situation a lot more manageable by responding to all my questions and concerns quickly, following up with next steps and making the whole process easy. They even offered options for picking up my payment check at the office to get it sooner or have it mailed. They reminded me about reimbursement for taxes, title and fees on my new vehicle, saving me over $500 dollars. Most of all everyone I spoke with over the phone was friendly and genuinely understood the stress of the situation and offered to assist in any way. I couldn't have been more pleased with the service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I love this insurance company so far. We haven't had any accidents so I can't rate them there. I love the option online to change your bill due date for the next 3 months. It's not always there, so you can't just do it continuously but it's helped us out a couple times. Call customer service is very easy, most people are helpful and polite.

I did have an issue with one person. I accidentally made a duplicate payment to my account and when I called they said the duplicate payment hadn't posted to my account yet, and to call back when it does and they would take care of it. When I called back a different person said they couldn't refund payments, and she said something about a 15 day hold before they could do anything. And she said I should call my bank and hope they could fix it. I didn't like that answer so I called right back and got on the phone with someone else. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and when she came back she told me she was able to refund it.

So that other person, who had an attitude for no reason, just made all that up. She didn't try to ask anyone, just told me "too bad" pretty much. I don't understand people like that. If you have an issue like that with customer service, call back and talk to at least one other person. Every company has at least one person like that, so it didn't affect my rating. I've dealt with enough jerks in customer service that I knew to call back immediately.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

On October 21, 2019 I ran into a deer. I have been a Platinum Customer for Progressive and never expected to run into any situation. I pick up the phone in my insurance card and from that very moment I was assisted as a very valued Customer. They suggested the auto body shop in Kansas City, MO and at that shop they had a courtesy driver to take me from work into the car rental company and back to the auto body shop. The lady that attended my case at the auto body shop did everything to make me feel valued. The most stressful event I have ever experienced became a learning experience on how business oriented people/employees/employers care for their Customer. Progressive I will eternally be grateful and thankful.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I was a formerly insured by AAA. The day I walked into their office to cancel my policy is when my nightmare began. Not only did the representatives not care about what happened to my policy but I had to do all the legwork by making all the necessary phone calls. Bottom line, never assume someone else does their job. You have to be your own advocate and follow through. After all that, I signed with Progressive. My rates dropped and that's a wonderful thing. Their customer service is outstanding and I'm treated like a human being.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been with Progressive since 2015. I have never had an accident. My agent is non-existent because I have since moved far from the area where I first purchased the insurance. I have tried numerous times to change my agent, in hope of finding a local agent. I have been wanting to have my policy evaluated for better discounts. I believe I am not getting the discounts I am entitled to and I can't get my agent to return a call to me to help me out. When I want to inquire about anything it is easier for me to simply call the corporate office. Why then must I be stuck with an agent that is 3 hours away from me? It makes no sense to me. I have no use for this agent and he is no longer able to help me with my concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 1, 2020

No good at all. Progressive in the past had cheated me out of thousands of dollars. Twice in the past 17 years. Both sales and claims are dishonest. I would not do business with them if it wasn't force to by law.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I bought a policy with Progressive after buying a car mainly just to get me through about a week until I could add the car to my commercial taxi policy. I have an airport taxi business so I pay huge money for this insurance. I decide to keep this progressive policy for 6 months because it was cheap and I figured it never hurt to have extra insurance. After my 6 months were up I never renewed and never signed any renewal but they sent me a bill for another 6 months. I sent email after email showing I already have insurance and will not be renewing with them. They put me in collections with Caine & Weiner and hurt my otherwise good credit rating.

I disputed with caine and wiener with documentation but it fell on deaf ears. I disputed with TransUnion and this stupid $240 charge is still on my report. Equifax did remove this so I rate them much higher than transunion. I refuse to pay out of principle and have decided my only recourse is to tell what a crooked company progressive is to the world on every review site I can find. Recently with covid 19 I cannot continuing my business because this bogus collection cost hurt my credit score to not qualify for a Small Business Association Covid loan which would have allowed me to stay in business.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I added Progressive to a seperate vehicle I own for just covering myself since I am the only driver of this work truck. The rate was good and I had no problems the first 6 months. One day a bill came in and it was double its normal amount. I called up Progressive and asked why it jumped so high? They told me that they learned my 20 year old son lived with me and they took it upon themselves to add him to my account. I told them both he and my wife we currently on a State Farm policy I also had, and that he did not need to be on my Progressive account, nor did I give permission for Progressive to do so. I cancelled the account which was in good standing (paid in full) and put the truck on my State Farm policy.

Now they are sending me a bill for $219.00 which they say I have to pay or they will send me to collections! I went through 3 customer service people who couldn't do anything for me except tell me to pay it. They conveniently hung up on me and I had to start the whole process over again. This last lady was helpful and once I show proof my son did indeed have coverage, they will wipe away the balance due. I am hoping this is the case and this nightmare is over. Had I looked at their reviews and seen a One and a Half stars review grade, I would of keep going and not even bothered with a quote. Cheaper in this case is not better!

Original review: June 25, 2020

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient and helpful! So much I’m considering changing my own insurance company to Progressive! Thanks again BRIAN!!!

Original review: June 24, 2020

Progressive Insurance is terrible! Was in 2 accidents that had no other insurance company involved. Accidents were over 6yrs apart. I was not treated like a human being in either accident. First accident was a hit an run but they said it was my fault, had to go to one of their headquarters to argue with my adjuster. I had to remove my pants so I could show them a bruise because they did not believe in some pre-existing damage inside my car. By the way that car was totaled. They cut me a check, at first, for way under the car's value. Did not even discuss what happen, just sent the check. Was not until I went up to an office to speak with a rude adjuster that I made my points and they gave me more money for the car. That is how you do business?

Second accident was with someone who had progressive as well. I LEARNED A LOT FROM THIS ONE! So if they do not have a 3rd party they can go after, they put the blame on you. How interesting. I paid my insurance every month but when it came time to use it I was left high and dry. Had to get a lawyer to help with an accident that was clearly the other drivers fault. Was driving on a public highway, at night, when other driver backed out for no reason and I hit him. I was found responsible for a certain percentage. State law for right of way was ignored due to them, without any evidence, saying I was speeding. This is not a very honest company to go with, I can not believe I actually paid for this. They got so much money out of me and could not even be honest when the time came. Thieves. Beware.

Progressive Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company, in addition to auto insurance, offers property, personal and commercial insurance products. Customers can bundle these plans with their auto insurance. The company’s Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty and offers benefits like accident forgiveness. Features include 24/7 customer service and plenty of discounts.

• Coverage and plans: Beyond basic auto insurance, Progressive has add-ons like gap insurance, pet injury protection, coverage for custom parts and equipment and a deductible savings bank.

• Cost: Full coverage from Progressive costs about $1,750 a year, while minimum coverage sits closer to $750 a year.

• Discounts: Progressive’s discounts include savings for good students, homeowners, multivehicle policies, bundling, good drivers, continuous insurance, upfront payment and automatic payments.

• Standout feature: Progresssive’s Snapshot program reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This ensures a driver is paying the right amount for insurance.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor