3.9/5 (1841 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

Top Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my bac...

Verified

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient an...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive auto insurance

Progressive is one of America's largest auto insurance companies, serving more than 20 million drivers. The company offers competitive rates in every state and an easy-to-use website with several helpful features and resources.

Progressive auto coverage

Progressive offers basic auto coverage options, which include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It also has some add-on coverage options, such as:

• Roadside assistance: Pays for emergency services like towing or help with a breakdown or flat tire.
  • Custom parts and equipment protection: If your car has special features like custom wheels, this policy protects them.
  • Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being replaced or repaired due to a covered accident.
  • Deductible savings bank: Can help save money during each policy period you don’t make a claim.
  • Ride-share: Protects ride-share drivers. It covers your car even when your commercial policy gaps.

Progressive also offers commercial and classic car coverage, as well as insurance for travel in Mexico.

Progressive auto insurance quotes and costs

Progressive rates are determined by coverage type, location and the driver’s age and driving record. An average Progressive policy for someone with a good driving record is about $192 per month, but it could cost as little as $47 monthly. Progressive also offers many discounts, which can make your policy even more affordable. Here’s a look at some discounts that could apply to you:

• Safe driving
  • Homeowner
  • Online quote
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic payment

Progressive also has some handy comparison tools on its website to help you find the right policy for your budget.

Progressive auto insurance FAQ

Does Progressive offer full coverage car insurance?
Progressive doesn’t advertise full coverage policies, but it does offer liability insurance and several additional and customizable coverages.
Does Progressive have accident forgiveness?
Yes. In most states, Progressive offers accident forgiveness through its loyalty rewards program.
Where is Progressive car insurance available?
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states.
Does Progressive offer rental car coverage?
Yes, Progressive offers rental car coverage while your car is replaced or repaired due to a covered incident.

Is Progressive car insurance good?

Yes, Progressive is a good auto insurance provider that's available nationwide. While it doesn’t have many agents, Progressive offers reasonable rates online, which you can purchase directly via its website. Overall, its competitive rates, handy add-on coverages like gap and rideshare insurance and various rewards and discounts make Progressive a pretty solid auto insurance pick.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 21, 2022

My son sold (or thought he had sold) a vehicle to a person who deposited money into my account, did the bill of sale, and everything that was to be done properly when selling a vehicle. 5 days later the money was reversed. We immediately filed a stolen vehicle report with the police. Progressive's "Automatic Termination" policy states that if the vehicle is sold or transferred (without any other clarification) then the insurance is automatically terminated on the vehicle. Using this statement, I could have someone hold me at gun point, steal my car and it would still not be covered as a theft since a "transfer" took place.

What is the difference between someone using a gun to steal my car and someone using a blue collar method to steal my car. I see no difference. At the end of the day, my son is STILL responsible to pay on the loan of the car, the car is STILL registered in his name, there is STILL an open investigation on the car, and the car is STILL unrecovered. Now tell me in what universe that this car was "SOLD OR TRANSFERRED" where it isn't considered stolen and insurance would not pay for it under the comprehensive insurance coverage. I have been complaining until I was blue in the face to anyone who will listen. If Progressive changes their automatic termination policy to read "if the vehicle is sold or transferred, through any legal or illegal means, insurance coverage will be immediately terminated," then I will rest my oars and say another thing about it. If they cannot do that, then they do not have a leg to stand on denying the coverage on this vehicle.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Artisan and Trucker Casualty Insurance owned by Progressive protects and won't pay out, when the trucker left the scene, had to be chased down and threatened to harm me, then his boss offered cash because they knew they were wrong.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Had my truck 3 days. 2022 GMC. Was rear ended. Driver texting and driving over 50 mph…Progressive is my insurance. Should be looking out for the safety of me and my family.. 3 body shops have said it should be totaled… They want to pay 11500 to repair and replace damaged frame! Said I’ll be just fine… Do not consider the Body Shop's opinion only their bottom line! DON'T DEAL WITH THESE CROOKS.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I signed up for Progressive online. They offered options for cars that I had owned which was a 2005 Audi, I owned a 2006 Audi and had not owned the 2005 for a year prior. But I selected the 2005 Audi by mistake. So, when I went to DMV to register a new car, a year later, I found out that my license was suspended because of lack of insurance, plus I could not register a car for a year. Now I cannot drive for 90 days and will have no car until 3/23 all because Progressive failed to post the correct car and instead listed a bunch of cars I NO LONGER OWNED. Their AI is difficult to manage and when you finally get to a representative, they couldn't help you. I would NEVER recommend Progressive if you want to be insured correctly. They should not be able to be in business in NY state.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I'm a customer with Progressive since 2011. I never had a problem with them until recently..they are a disaster. I am so frustrating so disappointed to the point that I'm changing to another insurance company. I rather pay more money with someone that knows what they're doing; than with a company that they say they would do one thing and do another completely different ...

Original review: April 20, 2022

My Homeowner's Policy went up after one year and the auto policy seemed too high. USAA had a much better rate, so I set up my new policies to begin on April 12. I spoke with a Progressive agent on April 10th to cancel both my home and auto policy. I had just added a car to our policy so there was going to be an outstanding balance due. The agent told me it would be $87.31. When I received the Final Bill in the mail, it was $90.31. They had the $1 monthly installment fees broken out and totaled $3. My policy period was from January-June so I had paid $3 so I assumed that may have been the difference. I called and talked to an agent and asked about this fee and they stated that $90.31 was the correct amount due and was not sure why the Agent originally told me it was $87.31.

I know it is just $3 but it definitely seemed that they were charging me for either the $3 I had already paid or the $3 for the remaining payments. That is the only thing that would make sense. That, or the initial agent just misquoted the final bill on the phone. They were unwilling to reduce the bill to match what I was told originally and I was disappointed; not in the money and time lost due to this issue, but in the lack of customer service. I'm much happier with USAA. If you are military, a veteran, or your parents are, I would highly recommend contacting them. They have great rates and their customer service is top-shelf.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Sent me a letter stating that my daughter would automatically be added to my insurance policy. I called and spoke to representative and told me that they will still charge me $72.00 extra for my car insurance even though she doesn't have a driver's license. I will cancel my policy and also my home policy and find another insurance company. Poor representative. Don't care they charge you more for no reason?

Original review: April 8, 2022

Progressive will sell you a car insurance, will charge you and then will find anything they can to cancel your insurance. When they interviewed me, I mentioned my Mom who doesn't live in my house drive my car once a month to go to do her grocery and they cancel my policy just because of that. Didn't even give me the chance to add my Mom to the police if that was the case. They are a big time liar.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Yes if you're thinking about getting progressive insurance I'll state one to me that I would get what I paid for and they were right. I've had them a few months and I can't wait to get out of it. Bottom line if you're thinking about Progressive don't do it. If they were insuring machines and not people it and not people it might work out but they definitely have no customer service skills. I guess they're all getting paid but none of them are really doing any work not for me at least. My agent at All State was right. I need someone lineed someone like them that knows me, I know them, and we work together. There'll be none of that progressive. The worst insurance company I have ever had. I cannot reiterate strongly enough if you're thinking about getting insurance but progressive don't do it.

Original review: March 4, 2022

When a Progressive insured causes damage to another vehicle they are responsible for damage payment. If you are using them prepare to go to court because they won't cover damages you cause. They refuse to pay full damage until you have damaged vehicle repaired, when all they should get is a professional estimate regardless who repairs it and when or if you want to repair at all. Take them to court and add on any public transportation fees, and rentals and your time at your job salary rate or further damage caused by their delay.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information