Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
2.99/5
Based on 1,110 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3734 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I gave Progressive wish what could be a zero!! Me and my wife meet got married. She had her ins. and I had State Farm. We never changed it so later in life never used it. We was going to baby dump truck pulled out of work site it was to hit it or oncoming cars. New car. Took Progressive one year to pay off. I gave them the benefit. We got her new suv more room for her and the baby. We live in the country. We hit a deer two years later. This Nov. Minimal damage. Got claim #. Never would call us. Today they canceled us. And said I wasn’t on it. REALLY. I’m very honest!!! REALLY now had to hire a attorney... DO NOT BUY THIS INS. I am going to spend all I have to show the world...it not a matter NOW it’s a POINT!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Progressive quoted me $1,980/yr for a policy that AAA wants $4,000/yr for. Yet I still ended up going with AAA simply because there's apparently no way to chat with a live person via Progressive's voice controlled system. Forcing customers to play a silly game of hacking/guessing the right phrase to say to sign up for auto insurance (with a pre-existing quote # no less!) is beyond insane. Between the non-sensical phone system and the glitchy website, I simply don't see how Progressive stays in business. Guess it's for the best after seeing the other reviews of this shady organization.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

After being accident free and clean record and with Progressive for 9 years, my insurance rate doubled with no reason other than "adjustment". I spoke to customer service and they offered no solution or reason. No loyalty to a good customer. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Progressive cares only about money. On Saturday, December 8, 2018, I needed a jump start for my car. The car wasn't used in over a month, and the battery simply died. In 4 years since I have had this policy, I never asked for anything, no jump starts, no accidents, no nothing, just paid like a loser 6 months ahead (and never late). Progressive just took the money and when it was their turn to provide a more service, they made me wait for 4 hours until I was tired of the customer service lies (every time I called, they told me 15 minutes). What is more ironic about this, every hour I received a text message on my phone asking me if I still need their service... Really??? What did they believe? Suddenly my car engine started and they don't need to provide the help I pay for?

People, please DO NOT PURCHASE this insurance, because if you are on the side of the road with car troubles, Progressive wouldn't care for a second. It is Monday Dec. 10, 2018, my car is still helpless, in need of a jump start, I was crying for two days because I can't believe that a company who has my money because I pay (for nothing) can be so indifferent when I need help. Bottom line, money is important to them, helping you...not at all, you are on your own. The sad thing is, people are forced to have insurance policies and Progressive is brazenly taking advantage of that. I am in the process of looking for another auto insurance, hopefully more helpful than Progressive. If anyone knows a better auto insurance, please leave me a message.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Too bad there's not a lower rating than a 1 star. I'm am disgusted with Progressive. Why even pay insurance, they are going to find every loophole and way to get out of it. I recently got contaminated fuel and my truck started running bad. After taking it to a Ford dealership and having a diagnostic test done it was determined I in fact had contaminated fuel. After reviewing my policy and confirming I had comprehensive coverage I filed a claim. They basically did everything they could do to deny me from taking what the Ford service advisors said and reword them to make it in their favor. So simply put I'm out 10k. They want get another dime from me, that's all there is to it, take this as you will.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Having driven through a terrible rainstorm, the next morning my car, a 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK350, had suddenly died. When we ran a code, it showed that the rear SAM unit got damaged and I'm told that this malfunction oftentimes happens once the unit has been wet. We have been Progressive customers for about ten years, insuring four cars with comprehensive coverage and, since storms are covered under comprehensive, I filed a claim.

My claim was denied: Progressive claims that the unit malfunctioned due to wear and tear and that there was corrosion. They claimed that no water could enter the car to cause the unit to get wet. I went to inspect the unit once it was removed from my car and I saw no damage nor corrosion. Moreover, the car had not given me any issues whatsoever before the rainstorm, and all of a sudden it malfunctioned immediately thereafter. I do not believe that was coincidence. Had it been wear and tear, I might previously have had issues, maybe off and on, but I had none whatsoever.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Me and my neighbor who has had Progressive for years on all her vehicles were hit in the rear at a stop light by an Progressive insured driver who was given the ticket. Well me and friend and her 2 grandkids were banged up by accident. Within a month kids received checks for almost 400 bucks. My friend was hurt worse and I told her to get herself a lawyer and to seek treatment for her injuries. I received a check for 350.00 dollars that was unsigned and as such not washable. Their office was more than 2 hours away so they told me to tear up check and they would send a new one.

A couple of weeks went by and no check so they told me to come and get it. When I got to their office the building was locked up tight and I had to call another office 400 miles away to get them to call that office to let me in. Got new check and of course I checked it before I left and it too was not signed. I had guy sign it only to find out it too was not washable for several days because it was postdated till following Monday.

A few months went and me and my friend both received a card in mail from State Insurance fraud investigator requesting we call him immediately or else. I did but my friends lawyer told her he would handle it now. She being took to court by state because Progressive accused her of trying to get property thru false claims or some such nonsense which is weird because she still hasn't been paid for the accident and Progressive refused to pay for damage to her truck because her truck was old. Yes they claimed that they paid her 2 different times for this accident and like I said she never got the first check for herself from them. Her grandkids checks went to them at their house.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I finished everything online and was ready to buy my quote for my auto insurance and then the website tells me I cannot finish until I call their number, I call and then I'm told that my quote went to the underwriting department and that they will have to verify a few things before they sell me the quote! I mean verify what? I'm a good driver and any company should be lucky to have me! Simple as that, was the price a pitch to fish some people so you can maybe raise the quote and sell it for more? No - not interested if that is the case. Very fishy and slow and I'm already disappointed before I even become a customer of yours! Imagine if I do become a customer and something happens god forbids! You guys will probably take weeks and weeks to even answer me. Lol. Bye.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I offered to pay a year of insurance today if they'd waive a $75.84 fee. The fee was charged after their website continually refused payment, so it is not for a service rendered, or because of anything I did, or didn't do. I thought since it was their mistake they'd be happy to fix it and receive almost 20 times as much $$$... I was wrong. They'd rather just keep extorting me for $75.84.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had Progressive insurance for almost ten years. They had a price of insurance I could afford and as a driver with a clean recorded, it worked for me. Then in early 2017, My little car was damaged when it was blown off the road by high winds in an exposed area. I made the mistake of calling the insured company. As there was no damage to any property except the vehicle, my policy did not pay for any of the damages. Ok, that’s fine. I get that. The next thing I know, I got a threatening letter from the New York State Department of motor vehicles stating that my insurance company had reported I was in an accident that damaged my car and demanded that I provide all the information about it or I would lose my driving privileges .

Needless to say, I called the company to complain and was told that reporting such things was state law and they were not required to tell me that they had. If I had known, I would have never called them and just mailed the needed form to the State department. By the way, it gets better. I decided to donate the car to “Wheels for Wishes” that takes vehicles like mine, repairs/sells them and the proceeds are donated to the “Make a Wish Foundation”. I called Progressive and let them know that I had made the arrangements to donate the car and as a result, I would no longer be needing their services. I was told that it was not a problem and that they would close my policy at the end of the term of coverage. Figuring all was settled, I donated the car.

After the end of end of the coverage term with Progressive ended, I received another letter from the New York State Department which started Progressive had reported that I had allowed the coverage for my car to lapse and now I owed them a fine unless I could prove that I had insurance to cover the vehicle after the insurance. What followed was a series of notarized letters and documents proving that I had donated the car prior to the end of the insurance coverage to Wheels for Wishes. Needless to say, I am no longer a “ valued customer” of Progressive.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My son was rear ended by another car. We placed a claim to the other driver's insurance. At no time was Progressive called. Today I go into my bank account and I was charged $3000 something dollars because according to them we made claim in which is a lie. I was notified by email that my premium was going to be $3000 instead of $772 Because they had to add my son to my policy. He was driving the company car. Meanwhile my son was not at fault in the accident and has his own full cover policy.

They lost a good customer who has been with them for over 5 years paying 1000 a year. I had to cancel policy because they could take my son off the policy, the computer would not allow it. After all this I was returned $1054 from the $3000 something that they charged my account without any notice. I do not usually write reviews but am so angry. It was a hard lesson to learn so please read fine print before you sign. You can give access to anyone to charge whatever they want to your account without a written or verbal notice.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Was involved in a hit and run on the interstate. I was told they couldn't do anything for me- no replacement, no compensation, no rental, nothing. The representative asked me to provide her with my original quote to see if they made a mistake when creating my policy in which I did and I have not heard a thing since. They refuse to help me and on top of that once I provided them with the requested documentation, I get NO RETURNED CALLS, NO ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS, AND NO ONE TRYING TO HELP OR REACH OUT. I've sent the documentation twice and still, nothing. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE THROUGH THEM- It's cheap for a reason. They will not help you unless you have the most expensive plan. If not, you're not worth their attention or time. I will continue to give my honest reviews on all social media until I get the help and attention a loyal customer deserves!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My vehicle was hit in a parking lot and the man who hit me has Progressive Auto insurance. He exited the vehicle, apologized and gave me his insurance information. I gave him no information as it was his fault. After much negotiation, they denied the claim I submitted and I had to take them to small claims court to get reimbursed for my damages. The judge ruled in my favor and I won the case. They are now appealing, hoping that I won't spend the money to hire an attorney. Only $900 in damages. At this point, another lost day of work and attorney fees would be well over the money they owe me so why wouldn't the just say NO. There is no moral compass when it comes to insurance companies, they just don't want to pay, but I will continue to fight them and am now involving the insurance commissioner of North Carolina.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My car was involved in an NOT at fault accident and I called to give Progressive the heads up. After reporting the claim the claim representative contacted me and essentially I was treated as though I was at fault MY insurance company that I am PAYING to represent me. I have been working directly with the other insurance as I refuse to work with Progressive now, THE OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY has treated me BETTER than my own! Progressive will not be advocate for you, so if that's what you are looking for look elsewhere. Customer service wise they suck!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Progressive was fine until I went to change my address. We did a new policy because I moved states and it was all downhill from there. They messed up and made me have a lapse in coverage and proceeded to tell me they couldn’t fix it until they listened to the 24 minute phone call I had with them. They listened to the phone call and found out it was their mess up so they backdated the coverage and that was fixed but the coverage was ALL wrong so I called again to get that fixed and I thought it was fixed. I looked at the coverage paper and it was STILL wrong and they didn’t even have the right address. So I took my business elsewhere and was told I would get my money refunded.

I still have not gotten my money from them weeks later and calling 3 times. I have gotten nothing but different dates as to when it was sent out and they are now saying it was sent on Thanksgiving after I was told by two different managers there that I would have it before Thanksgiving so that my kids would be able to have Thanksgiving. I’ll probably never get my money back at this point and have contacted the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I purchased a new 2019 Mercedes Benz SUV. Within 2 - weeks of the purchase a Progressive insurer rear ended my vehicle. Progressive admitted their customer was at fault, after that it started getting ugly. There is only one Certified dealer in Tulsa that will work on my vehicle and provide the same warranty when I purchased the vehicle. However Progressive wanted to use one of their shops to make the repairs. To make a long story short I went with collision company that was recommended by the dealer.

I was informed by Progressive they will only pay the average labor rate for this area no matter what type of car it is. Please note the repair company said that they have numerous problems with Progressive. After the final inspection by Progressive I can only have 6 - days to get the repairs done before they shut off my rental reimbursement. Needless to say I am glad I don't have Progressive for my Insurance but it's unfortunate I am out money for something that wasn't my fault. I would never recommend this company to anyone. FYI I did report them to the state insurance commissioner and plan on retaining a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have been with Progressive Insurance for 12 years. No claims and my insurance renewal went up $3600 dollars. I have business associates with State Farm, and their rates have not changed. Enough said.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I switched to State Farm after my experience due to the fact after I made my payment (on time), the company dropped my insurance. I was not notified, despite their claims, nor was I given a reason. No accidents, etc. When I inquired about fixing this, they quoted me more than double my original bill because of the "lapse in insurance". Didn't matter if it was their error. 6 months later they do the SAME THING to my boyfriend on his own policy! We only found out when we went through a spot check to discover no insurance and suspended registration! No one notified us, nor did the DMV! Progressive are thieves and scam artists. Horrible policies and customer service. Talking to managers did nothing. We think the next step is going to contact commissioner. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Shotty reimbursement practices and horrible customer service. Had a first and last experience with this company and have been waiting over four months for over a hundred dollar reimbursement from cancellation (made the mistake of paying in full and in advance). First their tracking methods are horrible and are geared towards raising your insurance premiums (only the first offer is the lowest.) The company has an illogical and terrible way of reimbursing canceled customers by way of their original purchase method- even though the debit or checking accounts are CLOSED AND NON EXISTENT. Makes absolutely no sense if a proven account no longer exists. A cat and mouse waste of time method to hold on to money longer and to aggravate those who decide not to remain with them. Inexperience customer service reps and terrible leadership in supervisors. Please do your research and go somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I was slowing down and got rear-ended by the person behind me who wasn’t paying attention. Blew out my glass and completely ruined my bumper and back door. (I drive a Toyota RAV4.) The person who hit me has Progressive for insurance and dealing with them was a stressful headache from the start. They called us the day after the accident to get my side of what happened then we didn’t hear from them for days! My husband took over and started calling with no answer. Finds out they kept switching our claim to someone else. We went thru 3/4 people before we brought my car to an auto body repair shop we trust. He has his own claims adjuster and they completely dealt with Progressive themselves. My replacement car was a Ford Fiesta! (Lol) What a joke. 8,281 dollars and a month later I have my car back. I never want to deal with Progressive again.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Progressive is terrible. I wish I could give them 0 stars. I was hit by one of their insured policyholders and it's been nothing but a bunch of unanswered calls and we're still investigating answers. They refuse to keep me updated even though I was not at fault. It's been 35 days and I'm still waiting! They don't deserve to be in business and their commercials with Flo aren't even funny. Pray you never get hit by someone who has Progressive!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

DON'T HAVE ANY ACCIDENT BUT THEY KEEP ON RAISING HOW MUCH I HAVE TO PAY. I got their car insurance policy for more than 2 years. At first I thought I pay them reasonably but for not having any single accident and raising how much I pay... well it is not right.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

The day after my car insurance with Progressive Insurance was due... they canceled me. Years later, I found better insurance rate and coverage with Howard Hanna Insurance from Pittsburgh, PA and canceled Progressive Insurance the day it was due. They emailed me and mailed me with a Past Due Bill of $147.00. I told them I have the email where I canceled them the day my renewal was due and would NOT pay them anything. I do NOT recommend Progressive Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Not sure where to start, this company has really messed me up. I switch to Progressive a few months back. When I started the policy I was told my monthly payments would be $190... I was happy since I was paying only $290 with Geico. Everything was good. All of a sudden I noticed an increase within a month. I then went on maternity leave which caused me to lapse on my payment so my policy canceled. Fast forward I then paid the $600 balance that was owed. The representative told me I would need to start a new policy which I started and was suddenly told I would be paying $527 monthly for one car compared to the $190 for the two cars! THIS COMPANY IS A COMPLETE SCAM. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM. PLEASE GET YOUR INSURANCE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I was smashed into from behind by a Progressive policyholder, 2 weeks ago. From Day One the adjuster treated me as a FOE not as an injured party. Not as someone who needed kindness or even courtesy! He didn't even give his direct telephone number or e-mail! It has been a torture to deal with them, beginning with trying to get a rental car to go to the Doctor's first of all. (I should have gone to the hospital because now that I have heard an offer of $500 for a sprained wrist and a sprained ankle...)

Then there were four days I was promised that I would have an estimate on the value of my car; which was being treated as a Total Loss, that were just lies, with no call at the end of the day with or without the estimate. It was in the eleventh hour I was given the worst number based on a dishonest Valuation for which I did file a complaint with the State of Connecticut Insurance sector. They quickly moved into the injury part as the 16 days have elapsed they said and hit me with their miserly rude offer of the $500 for pain, discomfort etc etc. I will now probably Have to get an attorney because they would like to RUN ME OVER A SECOND TIME. Awful if the physical injury didn't hurt enough they will kick you where it hurts.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Was hit and run by a guy with their insurance. Filed a claim with police and took photos of his car/mine. It happened outside that person's residence. Got the person address. They said they don't speak English... Call their insurance. Progressive said since they cannot get a hold of him my claim will likely be denied. Scam artists.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I signed up for Progressive insurance online and got to the end of process and all of a sudden they wanted all this proof of this and that nonsense. But that was after they had already deducted money from my account. So I called the 1 800 number to get a refund and was told it would be back in my account immediately. Three days later no money. So I called again and was told it would be 15 days before they refunded my money. I asked why 15 days and they said I don't know. It's just their policy. I said, “It's my money and I'd like it back NOW!” They said, “Sorry you'll get it back in 15 days.” I was so mad. Still am, and I still haven't gotten my money. This company are thieves. They have no reason to keep my money like that. I will tell everyone about my experience with them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had Progressive Insurance for more than 2 years with one month lapsed coverage due to a payment not processing correctly. My policy renewed in September for the same amount I had been paying for the past 2 years $56. I then received a bill Nov. 9 for $192. I requested an explanation through the website immediately. No response for 2 days except an automated email saying they would respond when able. The only communication they sent about a change in policy was that I had not downloaded the snapshot app and that discount would be removed that was sent a few days before the new bill. I could not find any explanation or reason on the website so I shopped around and purchased a new insurance policy through Farmers (whose agent went into his office on a Sunday to help me after the online quote didn't go thru).

I called to cancel my Progressive policy today, 3 days after receiving a new bill which more than tripled the amount I had agreed to pay with no notice. The explanation given to me was that they only run checks every 6 months on driving records and my spouse had some items flag from 2 years ago which changed my coverage. He is not insured on my policy and has no license currently. Like I stated previously, I have had them for the past 2 years with no issues so every 6 months doesn't quite make sense. My complaint is that they gave me no notice of this change to allow me to make a decision on how to proceed. They did not answer in a timely manner and now I am responsible for a $92 bill for coverage I didn't agree to.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I got a quote over the phone. Called back the same day to speak with a sales rep and to get a new policy started. The representative transferred me three times to a different department to get a quote started. After reaching the third person, they couldn't find my quoted policy even though I previously gave them ALL my information, including my name, number, address, previous insurance company, my VIN #, Drivers license #, the company I worked for...etc. Well after giving them all my info again, they couldn't verify my driver's license number & that my car's VIN # even existed? WTF? in the previous phone call, they verified everything? So my take on Progressive is that they didn't want my business - So I went with another auto insurance company. Too bad Progressive.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My wife, children & I were involved in a serious MVA back in May (three cars involved, where we were pit maneuvered into another vehicle & rolled - not our fault). Car written off, & title given to wrecker next day - yet Progressive is unwilling to take vehicle off / back date policy & put outstanding balance towards our new vehicle. After multiple time wasting phone calls/emails (to various departments & supervisors) over the last 6x months - we simply gave up & changed insurers with our new vehicle. Yet to add insult to injury, and in spite of not being with them for several months, Progressive still sent us a final bill, to which they will send onto debt collectors if not paid! The case is still open, & we are waiting for an arbitration date with our attorney. Would definitely NOT recommend Progressive & suggest caution for anyone looking at getting auto insurance. Be advised!

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky