Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.75/5
Based on 2,759 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

3921 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My insurance reps at Progressive have been so amazing to me after the accident. I could have filed with the other person's insurance but I didn’t feel comfortable because I felt like they wouldn’t have been an advocate for me. Thankfully in the end the other person's insurance took liability after they read the police report explaining that the other person caused the accident because she failed to yield and there was nothing I could have done to stop it. But Progressive waived my deductible instead of me having to pay and then get reimbursed by the other insurance, they just waived it completely. They made getting a rental car a breeze and have been in contact with me almost every day since the accident. They also worked with the collision center fixing my car and it will be complete sometime next week instead of in 3 weeks. It’s been a horrible week but I’m so thankful for them advocating for me. They really made an awful situation a little less awful.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I wanted to make a review for Progressive because I got in a car accident 8 days ago, while having Progressive auto insurance. I came to look at the reviews to see what I was in for in terms of my claim. I saw mostly negative or middle-of-the-road reviews. This made me sure nervous. But it's now a week after my car accident and I have been nothing but super impressed with Progressive.

I was hit by an uninsured driver who ran a red light. My car was totaled. I just had purchased my car a few months prior and had an outstanding auto loan. Within 5 days, Progressive had paid off my car loan, less my deductible, which left me owing a few hundred dollars on my car. But the value they gave my car was more than fair, I expected to have a balance of at least $1500 on the loan after settlement. Anyhow, to have it all handled within a week was amazing, I already have a new car, and my insurance premium did not go up. I wasn't at fault, so it shouldn't have gone up in my mind. But I have had increases in the past after not-at-fault accidents with another insurer, so I am really happy Progressive didn't do that as well. Anyhow, overall it was a great experience. And claims service aside, the website is very user friendly and customer service has always been great.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When I had my 2001 Ford Focus I was insured through Progressive. I was with them for about 5 years when I had my accident. I got hit in the back by a small pickup on a rainy day. It was my first major accident so I was feeling a bit anxious and stressed out but they took good care of me. They got me a loaner for 2 weeks and processed my medical benefit claim in a timely fashion. I didn't have to deal with the other driver's insurance at all since my Progressive agent handled it for me.

Unfortunately my car was written off as total loss but I got a nice check for it. I was very glad that I bought the optional medical expense coverage because it paid for my out of pocket physical therapy. I think it only costed $80 for 6 months so it was a great value. Overall I would rate Progressive as above average to good. I would happily recommend this company to anyone who might need car insurance. If my car wasn't written off I think I would still be with Progressive.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

About 8-9 months ago I was rear-ended on the highway. Completely totaled my car. Progressive reimbursed me for the full value fairly quickly once we realized that it wouldn't be repairable, which was just about as much as I paid for it in the first place. They also provided a rental car for a couple of days, until I purchased another car. Overall, while stressful, I was mostly satisfied with my claim. I would have liked to have gotten more for the cost of the vehicle (I had just gotten it, and while I got a good deal I felt that it was still worth more than what it was valued at), but it was about as quick and painless as I could imagine a claim being.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been a Progressive customer for a few years & have a great record. I recently had a total loss accident (not at fault). I filed a claim & found these reviews on this site & got scared on how Progressive would handle the claim. Let me tell you - the service was stellar! I have absolutely no complaint. I barely had to do anything. I promised myself I would come back here & write a review because if you sit here & reads these reviews, you’ll scare yourself to death.

If you read the reviews on this site for all the reputable insurance companies, it’s the same. I swear, one tiny thing goes wrong & people blow it out of proportion. Either that, or reviewers are leaving out details of things they did wrong & just putting the blame on the company. I had a great experience with Progressive. 5 star company with 5 star service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have been a Progressive customer for 5 years. I moved from NJ to Fl where my insurance rate more than tripled! In December 2018 my car was parked in front of my house in the middle of the night when it was hit and almost totaled. The driver of the other vehicle got out of his car and ran leaving his vehicle at the scene. I was extremely impressed with how quickly Progressive paid my claim and got my car back on the road- until it was time to renew my policy and my monthly payment went up by $200!!! No one at Progressive could tell me why my insurance rate changed. I was not at fault for my vehicle being hit because I was in the house sleeping. I'm pretty sure this is the reason that they raised my rates. I have never gotten into an accident myself, have always paid my monthly premium in full and on time and have been a loyal customer for 5 years. If you're looking for affordable insurance, DO NOT USE PROGRESSIVE!!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

My policy was changed without my knowledge. I was rear ended and I was not at fault. The person who hit me is liable and her Insurance is covering all costs. But Progressive raised my rate stating that my health insurance is not covering the cost. When my health insurance is not being used to pay for medical cost. They still raised my rate by 435 dollars. I'm being penalized and they still keep saying that I have to pay because my insurance isn't going to cover. I explained to the moron speaking to me that the other insurance was paying. I was kept on hold and only to be told I still had to pay.. I'm not paying. I'm changing companies and they can get some other sucker to pay. It's a shame. I have a good driving record and I'm being penalized for someone hitting me. Never again Progressive. You guys stink... bad policies and practices. I will tell everyone I can what you do.

Original review: May 23, 2019

First off, I get transferred to y’all by The General. I had prior talked to 3 agents there that send me on a run around. Then I get transferred to y’all and the first agent gave me a fax number to call. Didn’t even transfer me. I had to write down a number. I called 6 times!!! Then calling back y’all, I get told by the second agent that it’s the wrong number and so he gave me another number. I call and it’s a health brokerage. I end up looking up the number to an independent agent because obviously calling the 800 number wasn’t getting me anywhere, and again I get sent to the health brokerage company.

So I call y’all back, I speak to a woman who listens to me but doesn’t say anything and just transfers me to some guy. I tell him I’m quite upset and he can’t figure why she sent me to him cause he isn’t even part of the agency to give me a policy. So he transfers me to a woman. She goes to tell me to keep calling that number and acted like I got the number wrong but I’ve called and I’ve doubled checked. I told her all I wanted was some Auto Insurance. She saying "I can’t help you, call that number." “What good will it do to call a number that doesn’t work?” And again she keeps saying "I can’t do anything. I can’t help you." It’s your job to help me.

Finally she tells me to call a different independent agent. Again, gives me another number to write down. I call them and they say "sorry you have to come in." At this point I’m flaming. At least that person was decent. How can you say you’re please with your track record? I’m paying almost 300$ a month to be treated like that. It took almost 3 hrs to get insurance when it could have been a 30 minute thing. I hope that y’all get some better people to help because being told “I can’t help you” when it’s your job is kind of stupid. I wasn’t ever rude but sure was angry when all was said and done.

Original review: May 23, 2019

This is a very bad company to get insurance from - sky high premium, no services provided. I had road side assistance and I was standing in rain for 5 hours and still no support. I called towing on my own and it was there in 30 minutes. I paid out of pocket for this. I was not reimbursed for the fee I paid to towing company. At cancelation they are using intimidation tactics to charge extra fees citing STATE LAWS to charge fees. They refuse to LOG a concern.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My wife and I have been with Progressive for our auto insurance for the past 13 years (all in Oregon), first for our Honda, and for our 2012 Prius for the past 4 years. We recently received a non-renewal notice and were told it was because we had 3 claims in the past 3 year. Those claims were all from other people: one was from a BMW owner whose bumper I tapped at about 1 mph in stop and go traffic, one was from a truck owner whose truck was parked illegally on a narrow road and I clipped his side mirror (but did not break it) avoiding oncoming traffic, and the third was someone who rear-ended me in a parking lot. I called several times, asked to appeal the decision, and spoke to a supervisor, all with the same result. They said they don't care who was at fault, nor the amount of the claim (all three together totaled less than $3,000); they only count the number of claims and that was too many.

The previous 10 years didn't matter, nor did who was at fault, nor did the amount. And the "review" process was literally me asking them to review it and them coming back to me and saying, "We reviewed it and our decision stands"; i.e. no evidence or argument was presented, they just "reviewed" and saw there were 3 claims in 36 months. The oldest of those 3 will be more than 3 years old TWO WEEKS after what would've been our renewal date. I guess if you never have to file a claim, Progressive is great, but if you want to be listened to at all or treated as a valued customer, no. (And I realize that may just be true of all insurance companies.)

Original review: May 21, 2019

USAA recommended I contact Progressive for Commercial Auto Insurance. Progressive provided an outrageous quote in the sum of roughly 19 thousand dollars for one year. They explained to me that was due to the fact that I had 3 points on my driving record. Soon thereafter I paid for an up to date certified driving record from the MVA (Maryland Vehicle Administration). Maryland is the only state for which I have a valid driver's license. Therefore, it is the only information that can be obtained properly for which all quotes would be based after!

After reviewing the driving record it showed 0 points. Therefore, Progressive had wrongly quoted me for the insurance because they had falsified the information. I went ahead and contacted the 3rd party broker to clarify the wrong information that was given on the quote to see if the quote could be adjusted properly. Until this day, they have yet to respond. That is a poor way of doing business and I would not recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: May 21, 2019

Talked to a Progressive rep about why I'd gotten a C- on my snapshot review and found that if you drive your car more than about 30 miles a day, your driving is looked at as a negative. I live about 30 miles from a city that is large enough to have stores I shop at. I took a trip to see my son and his family and that's 530 miles one-way. I have a farm that is 75 miles one-way and I make a trip over there about once a month. So basically if you drive your car any distance over 30 miles a day or want to take it on trips, forget about using snapshot to save money on your Progressive insurance.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I was persuaded by great rates... Turns out you get what you pay for. $2500 discrepancy between what the collision repair shop wants and what Progressive will pay. It's been nearly three weeks, my rental car benefit is nearly exhausted and neither side will budge. Progressive: "You can pay for it out of your pocket." Me: "That's what I pay YOU for." Progressive can't even get me a list of repairs they won't pay. "You can get that from the collision shop." I've requested this three times. They say I'll have it tomorrow. I've heard that before. Don't use Progressive... They are everything but.

Original review: May 19, 2019

In April I was visiting in Hampton, VA. While traveling straight with other passengers a young lady driving her aunt car pulled out in front of me causing an auto accident, then tried to leave the scene of accident. I followed her and police was called. Police report taken and driver given a citation. There was a witness to come forth telling what happened. Progressive agent has spoke to all parties yet trying not to pay for claim and state instead they are going to breach policyholder contract to keep from paying. One insurance agent had first said they are held liable. Now another agent that handles bodily injury does not want accept liability. They would not even get police report and I had to which they now have.

Original review: May 16, 2019

We had been with Progressive for 6 months, had no claims other than one dead battery. We have 3 cars with them. When the 6 month renewal came up they raised our rates $10 monthly. That's $120 yearly which is outrageous. It is not another 6 months, no accidents, no claims, & they have the gall to raise it another $2.50 monthly. I do not recommend them. We had Geico prior & they never raised rates more than about $1 monthly.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Definitely the worst insurance company ever. It charged me for a service I didn’t use!!!! There was one time I asked for a tow service and the agent told me you wouldn’t be charged until you actually get towed. Guess what happens. The tow truck left without waiting for me, so I ended up not using their service. They charged me already and I submitted a reimbursement request, THEY DENIED IT! Excuse me???? The representative told me in the phone I wouldn’t be charged until being towed, and now they’re just not giving me back my 117 dollars. Cant believe you’re stealing 117 dollars.... How poor are you that you’re hungry for this small amount.... speechless and shocked.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Was homeless/jobless, pregnant with twins for 1 year so after taking the bus and saving yesterday 4/13/2019 I bought my vehicle straight cash $6k. Not only did I do that but I bought my home. I purchased insurance and that was that, so I thought. When I woke up at 4 am to get ready for work I walked outside around 5:25 am to start my car. My vehicle was vandalized and as I attempted to drop my twins off the car gave out.

I was treated so badly by claims representatives LACINA **. They refused to honor the rental I only needed for 48 hrs to ensure I can get to work. It’s disturbing because I wasn’t going to my insurance to pay for the damage. Total damage ended up being a estimated $3000 that I was paying for strictly out of pocket. I canceled my policy. I will never do business with! Today was a nightmare. Over a two day total cost of $80 you lost a customer... I switch to GEICO and a friend will accommodate me for the two days to ensure I get to work.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Progressive Auto Insurance ripped me off. I asked them to cancel me for a vehicle I was paying insurance for and they never did cancel the policy on the 25th of March like I asked them to. Instead charged me for another month of April 2019 figured the vehicle was still being drove when I said it wasn't told them on the phone it wasn't and still added a late charge to the bill of $10 dollars. Then sent the bill to a bill collector to collect money from me after charging with a late fee stacked on top of that 1 month. later. Then threatened me about the mvd going after me for penalties for no reason that I do not owe or know. I have great credit and always have for 32 yrs.

Progressive threatened or tried to ruin it/my credit cause I canceled their policy and the manager Scott looked up the wrong recording of that conversation we had on the phone cancellation on the 25th. Common sense said it would be the last call I served. Why would I have anything else to do with you when you treated me that way. Why would it be looked up on Feb 4th? You can't get on over on me.

Karma is real. We live in a world where common sense is less common. Figure...instead of how much money you can get out of it or excellent customers. You should not lie to the customers and please make sure you send notifications to the right address before you cause more problems that you caused. I gave you the right address and the address you sent it to I never even heard of. Dissatisfied. 0 rating for you. Not 1. I am a preferred customer to everyone I do business with. You should of treated me the same way and I might of stayed with you. :(

Original review: May 14, 2019

After all of their supposed discounts you still get charged an arm an a leg because in order to get covered for getting a flat tire or replacing the crack window of the front of the car they expect YOU to pay more and THEM less. So the less you want to pay the higher your insurance. Forget about getting full coverage HA. Even with good driving record, discounts and years of loyalty would still come out to roughly 350 a month. They don’t care about you. Only the money you're going to give up. They conveniently leave out information about their snap shot as well. Let's say you don’t want to continue on with the snap shot program there is a penalty for ending it BEFORE they give you the ok to do so. SO if Progressive doesn’t give you the ok to end it early you get charged $35 to your insurance.

When I had the insurance to cover the damage to my door from a punk that dented it with his door Progressive sent their “Appraisal Agent” to check out the damages. These Progressive punks wanted to replace my door with a used part when they where ripping my arm and leg of with insurance expenses and they couldn’t get me a NEW DOOR?!?! Thankfully I have a very trusting mechanic and my mechanic was the one that got the new door and charged Progressive what they deserved. Do yourself a favor, stay away from these crooks. You’re not a customer to them, your a dollar sign.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I switched from State Farm as they raised my rate, found Progressive for savings... Joined their driver tracking app and after six months of safe driving they lowered my rate and gave me $50 towards my deductible. Win Win. Buying them a Chicken Dinner! Also have Renter Insurance through an affiliate company, and save money there also.

Original review: May 12, 2019

The state we are in sent us an invoice for guardrail damage. This is clearly covered under the policy, but even after numerous calls to Progressive they have not paid the invoice. They say they are 100% obligated to pay, but will wait until the state sends a final demand letter. The state has, and now considers the invoice delinquent. We are in the process of moving, so this may affect our ability to qualify for an apartment. Thanks Progressive! For nothing!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I have Progressive car insurance. The claims adjuster would not and did not listen to me. He was rude, talked over me, and was so condescending plus did not send me the emails in re the claim. Called him back to see what had happened and he insisted he had sent me the email. I asked him to spell my name and email back to me and he had it wrong but insisted he had it right. After the correction, it did come through. WHY MAKE THIS SO DIFFICULT? Simple rule, be nice to the customers.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Please keep in mind that my car was drivable before this happened. My car recently got hit by a co-workers car on the passengers side. I called Progressive my insurance carrier. The person who hit me also had Progressive which was great. I also submitted a police report to the police station which was accepted. I drove my car after the person hit me and heard a noise coming from my right side and knew I had to get it in the shop to see what was going on and what needed to be fixed. I put my car in the shop for a week to get fixed and they even had someone repair my tire from when they hit it. I got my car back with the sound still going on and nobody was there when we picked up the car.

We called progressive and they told me that we can have them come by and look at it, but will not guarantee anything. So my husband gets there and drives them around the parking lot so they can hear the noise. They tell him there is nothing that they can do for him and that it is coming from the driver's side. They said they will do nothing because we can’t prove it happened from the accident when it is on the report. They also said that I should get it replaced because it could cause a car accident if it comes out. How is that safe? How is this okay?

Original review: May 9, 2019

They stole my credit card information and made an online purchase. I got online quote and they gave me customer service phone number on their website to make a purchase for my car insurance. I gave my credit card information over the phone on May 6. Customer Service Representative Ashley saved my credit card information and made 2 purchase using my credit card from rainbowshops.com on May 7. I called website customer service and they gave me her name and last name. That was new credit card and I have never used before. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Don't know how he can say that without even coming out of his car. My auto accident detail. On March 22nd around 2pm I was driving on Citrus Ave south bound for my dentist appt. I was driving in extreme rt lane. As soon as I crossed Adna on Citrus, I suddenly felt loss of control on my car and it was deviating to rt side. It did hit the rt side of curb and then went over the curb. I had no idea what happened and how it happened. I was trying to straighten my car and bring it down from curb. And that's what I did. When I got my car down from over the curb, I saw one black car behind me. The driver and passenger were sitting in car, very relaxed, no intention to get out of car.

I went to them and asked, "What happened, are you ok." Driver said, "You hit my car, but no damage is done or no one hurt." I do not understand without getting out from his car or looking at his car he can make that statement. He took picture of my car and wanted to take off. I told him that I want to make police report. He said there is no need because he had no damage or physical injury. He told me he has no time for police to come, he has to go. He took picture of my car and was ready to take off. I told him, "What about your information, I have nothing on you." I photocopied his driver licence and passport, and he took off. #1 if his car is behind my car how I can hit him. Without checking car he makes the statement that there is no damage to his car.

I was in shock, I had no idea what happened and how it happened. I just took eyeball look on my car, both front tire were flat and axle broken, all joints of car popped out, there were dents on back of car on both side. I did not inspect my car in great detail. I had no idea of damage. I was thinking what to do. When I was thinking what to do, in 10 minutes 3 police officer came. I asked them, "Are you here to make police report." They said, "No, we only make police report when both party are present. We came here just to make sure that you are safe and if you need any kind of help." They also took a vague eyeball look at car, did not look for any damage in detail. I got my car towed to nearby collision center and called my insurance Progressive.

My claim adjuster was Julia. She took my statement and recorded it. It all happened in seconds. I gave the statement, which according to her very scratchy. After that I kept on thinking it does not make any sense and tried to put puzzle togather. Next day I went to accident spot with my friend who is not claim adjuster but very very smart in figuring out things. He inspected the site, marks and told, "He rear ended you, your car lost balance, hit the curb which damaged the tires and went over the curb."

Next day I called Julia, my claim adjuster and explained her about the damage of my car and explanation. She agreed with all that and also said there is black strip all the way from front to back on my driver side. Also she said there is green strip of paint on passenger side of other driver from front to back. I told her that if I hit his car there should be burgundy paint on his car, which is not there. He hit my car, that's why there is back paint on my driver side of my car. I have no idea how it happened and can't explain more than that she told me. Now I am convinced that it is other driver fault and I am transferring case to All State. Other driver's insurance. Which she did next day from. All State Kathy ** called me and took my recorded statement, which I gave her in detail.

Few days later I got call from All State # **. I think he was damage assessor, he told me, "Your car is total loss. We will pay you 10800$ for it and 700$ for storage the car." Kathy ** also told me that they will pay for mid size car rental car from the day of accident. I agreed to terms then after 7-10 days I just called All State about my status. Kathy ** picked the phone and said Progressive took all the liability and there is no claim. I was shocked. No one informed me anything. I asked Kathy, "Do you know why this sudden change," she said, "I do not know, call Progressive."

I called Progressive, they won't listen, just like parrot repeating the same old things and said, "Based on evidence we decided it is your fault," when they don't have even single evidence that it is my fault. Other very interesting thing is that other driver, he did not reported accident to his insurance, but reported to Progressive and claimed the damage. I asked my Progressive claim adjuster, "If there was damage why he did not report to his insurance, and sent claim? I don't know how he can say that without even coming out of his car."

‎5/‎8/‎2019 why you did not report to your insurance. Peter told her, "Since there was no damage, no one got hurt, I did not feel like I need to report to my insurance." On the other side he puts claim to Progressive for damages. What a fraud or lawyer. Progressive has no answer for it and they do not want to discuss it. When I asked Progressive for answer and explanation of it, they keep on repeating same old thing like parrot, won't give any explanation and said we made our decision on evidence base. She said case is closed. You can go to court if you want to and I have no choice but to hire a lawyer. It is very hard to find a lawyer unless some body injury is involved. I don't know how to proceed it, hopefully you can help me in this matter. Thanks.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I called Progressive on April 1st and told them to cancel my policy. I was selling one of my vehicles and looking to purchase something else. The agent on the phone advised me that she would cancel the policy by April 3rd. They Charged my bank account in April, 7 days later and then again today 05/07/19. I immediately called them as they have caused my bank account to go into overdraft. The 1st agent got rude with me telling me they are not refunding anything, because the agent that I originally spoke with back in April told me to send in a bill of sale or transfer of title for the vehicle and then the policy will be cancelled Which is not at all true.

In April the agent I spoke with said she would go ahead and cancel the policy on 04/03/19 and that she wanted to let me know that "my State requires that I send in the Bill of Sale or Title transfer". When I got off the phone with her I call the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles and asked them if I needed to provide that to cancel an Insurance policy and was advised "NO"... that I either had to get appropriate coverage elsewhere or turn in my plates so my license wouldn't get suspended. So I bought a Chrysler 300, transferred the plates from my Mercury Sable and got coverage With Geico in April.

I have spoken with 4 different people today and it wasn't until I spoke with the 3rd "Brittany" whom I asked, “Why are y'all giving me such a hard time with this now. When this same exact car was insured with Progressive under someone else's policy, in the very same city & state and then cancelled... I was not asked for any of this.” I had no problem cancelling (I also wasn't on auto draft payments either).

Now suddenly for the 1st time ever, (after being placed on hold for 10 mins and 57 sec so Brittany can find out why, herself) it’s brought to my attention that Progressive has a secret, unwritten, policy (not my resident State) that they claim states "That you cannot cancel a policy within the first 60 days without providing proof that I no longer have the car or that the car is insured with a different company.” I wanted to know why this was never mention before. I requested this Policy in writing and was advised that it could not be provided to me as a hard copy, then my husband asked if it could be emailed and again I was advised that it could not because it was something that only they could see in their system. I'M VERY PISSED OFF AND DISSATISFIED WITH PROGRESSIVE... DO NOT SIGN UP FOR AUTO DRAFT.

Original review: May 7, 2019

A Customer of Progressive's hit me, no fault of my own. They have admitted liability. Will not give me a comparable rental vehicle to the vehicle I am driving. Instead have given me a vehicle I cannot even transport my children in due to the size. Nor can I perform my duties at work due to the bed size. Their claims agent initially assigned to me LIED via text message in regards to the rental, then denied it. I have asked for supervisor to call me back on several different occasions, they keep having the same rude, disrespectful ** call me back. Keep in mind this accident was NOT MY FAULT, was at the fault of THEIR customer. This so called "supervisor/stockholder" is being rude to me.

Not only am I injured, my truck needs to be repaired and their estimator goes to my choice body shop to inspect and is uncooperative with the shop, prolonging my repair. Now they have proposed fixing the bed of my truck by replacing it with a SALVAGE bed. THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE. Do not do business with them & if you get hit by one of their customers DO NOT expect to be taken care of.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Closed my bank account after my Progressive due date and called Progressive 3 days after my due date to update my payment information and explain that the account had to be closed. That I will be getting a new bank account in my new state and that I can make a payment and replace the payment now during the call and will update my bank information for automatic payments before my next due date. I was reassured and told this was all fine and no mention of fees was discussed. They said the payment would be returned, but all will be well because I made the payment and explained the situation. Now I'm getting a $50 fee and the representatives are nothing like "FLo." Unless Flo was on her monthly Flo. TERRIBLE customer service. Not able to fix the situation or make it right. All they could say was they didn't have to tell me about the fee and the representative at the time was not in the wrong for NOT telling me that I would be feed up the **.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I cancelled my policy and requested a refund because I chose a better option. The woman I spoke to informed me that it would be 48-72 hours before the money is back into my account. It took them nearly 2 weeks before my money was transferred. When I contacted them about the issue, they were lackluster in helping me. With this kind of process, I can only imagine how they would deal with a claim that is filed. I DO NOT recommend this company for insurance.

Original review: May 2, 2019

After a marital separation, I was added back on to my husband's auto policy. However, only adding my vehicle to his policy processed through their system. I realized this on 5/2/2019 and the vehicle addition was on 4/10/2019. Adding myself to the policy decreased the premium substantially. However, their system did not rate me on the policy back to 4/10/2019, it only added my vehicle. I noticed the error on 5/2/2019 and called 800.999.8781 to address this concern.

The gal who answered the phone was nice, but the gentleman, her supervisor was terrible. I re-iterated the circumstance to him multiple times and he essentially could not follow my train of thought. He simply wanted to reject the concern and premium change. There was no agreement on any forethought and just combativeness. Such poor service with a simple do-able solution was very frustrating. I noticed the issue within less than 30 days (timely) and my transaction was clear on 4/10/19 in the changes summary. Needless to say I made the change current date and gave up.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky