Progressive Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On December 17, 2016, I became a hit and run victim. The other driver plowed into my car trying to merge into traffic running me off the road. When I safely pulled over out from harms way from hitting other cars, the other driver was nowhere in sight, so I called the police. Two witnesses who observed the accident came to see if I was ok and gave me the information of where the other driver took off to as well as details pertaining to make, model and license plate of his car. The information was given to the police and once the police came they found the other driver around the corner from the accident where his car died. The police went to see about the other driver, they came to talk to me, soon after explaining the other driver was arrested due to finding him in the act of smashing a pipe that consisted of an illegal substance and for being impaired.

I was given a police report and instructed to call his insurance (Progressive) to file a claim and get assisted. I did so immediately after, and because this was on a weekend, they explained there would be nothing they could do but process the claim. I was forced to drive my car home in such poor condition (deployed airbag, bent wheel and the entire driver's side bashed in). Once at home I was in so much pain and had no one to take me to Emergency Hospital for assistance, I was forced once again to drive my car and take myself. After being treated for my injuries, I went to my car to leave and my car wouldn't start. I had no choice but to overdraft my account for a tow truck to get me and my car home.

The following day a claims representative by the name of Brittney ** with Progressive called me for more information concerning the car. She arranged for their towing yard to pick up my car and when I asked for a rental she said they would have to contact their client in getting his statement (you know the one that was arrested) before issuing me a rental and that she would get back to me. Later on that week she calls to tell me my car was beyond repair. When asked if I could get a rental so that I would not lose my job, she said they can issue me a rental good for two days after they get a police report and are able to speak to their client. After days on end of excuses, missing days and hours from work, unanswered or return phone calls from Brittany, I decided to contact a law firm in handling my case. I felt I was not getting anywhere with Progressive.

According to my claim online with Progressive, their client was found at fault. A letter for victims services was sent to me by mail with their client's charges for hit and run plus DUI, explaining my rights. However it's now January 11, 2017 and I have yet to receive my settlement from Progressive for the total loss and damages for my car.

According to my claim on their webpage everything is complete except for payment details. They tried to award me for just the value of my car plus 10 days (even though it's been at least a month) of being without a car. But I have other out of pocket expenses owed such as the towing and overdraft fees that receipts were sent to them for, but they claim they never received. Receipts that were sent via email from my law firm which I also received a cc for at least two weeks ago. According to my law firm my claim representative at Progressive has now conveniently took a vacation and her supervisor is looking for my paperwork. LOL. Waiting on Progressive for assistance almost cost me my job. They are as irresponsible as their client who ran me off the road. Don't trust them!! To get help with getting another car I am now seeking assistance with a 24 HR settlement loan office to get a loan to buy another car. Sincerely, Progressive is a joke.

My car was stolen on the 3rd of December. My claim was filed on the 5th. There has still been no resolution to my case and these agents are trying to make it seem as if I am attempting to commit fraud. Investigating his credit and he isn't even on my car loan!! They are talking about hiring analyzers and such. My car was purchased 1 year before we got married. I have tried to be so patient and understanding. My husband and I are both active duty Army. Fraud would ruin our careers for sure. I am currently without a vehicle. I am not stationed in the same place as my husband so when he is away I have no vehicle. I only switched my insurance because this was cheaper than my previous insurance for my husband and I to be on the same policy. I guess this is what I get for being cheap.

My car was rear-ended by a driver that had Progressive insurance. I am suffering from Post-concussion syndrome but dealing with progressive customer support and their lawyer has been a nightmare. It seems like claims adjuster is nice to you, but they want to sign a paper that you are OK and there is no physical harm. As soon as you say you are not OK and refuse to sign papers they stop talking to you.

My vehicle was stolen. My claim was handled fairly and quickly. From my agent Chris ** at All Coverage Insurance... Who made sure I had the right coverage. To Every contact made to Progressive exceeded my expectations. Would strongly recommend both Progressive and All Coverage Insurance. The level of service was outstanding.

I do not have Progressive, but have a claim with them. Their customer pull out in front of my son (was not my son's fault). We had a police report to verify. We started the claim before we left the scene of the accident. The insurance claim service agent, Jenny **, took another 3 weeks to finalize the paperwork. The only reason that this happened was because we have to call her supervisor. It took another week, after that, for an adjuster to look at my son's vehicle. The accident occurred on Nov. 19, 2016 and we just picked up the vehicle today Jan. 4, 2017. For damage less than $3,000 it should not have taken that long for the work to begin on the vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive?

Progressive's customer service is HORRIBLE! I was hit by one of their insured customers on December 13th. He tried to pass me on the left while I was turning left. He got me with a Ford Mustang and I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. They only approved me for a compact car rental car which does not make any sense! I should've gotten some kind of SUV with a trailer hitch because my family had plans to go up north snowmobiling. Progressive ruined my family's whole Christmas vacation! I will never recommend Progressive insurance to anyone!! Their agents are useless as far as Customer service and do not return calls!

I was driving down Peachtree Road. A Progressive client pulled into my lane to avoid a car coming into her lane. She caused a great deal of damage to my car. Progressive states that the accident was not her fault - that she did the right thing swerving into my lane to avoid an accident. The fact that she caused an accident is not relevant to them! I have filed a complaint with Insurance Commissioner. Hopefully they will see the logical response to this issue.

When applying for the insurance no problem except they do not offer the deductible for RV insurance on their quote. I found out the hard way that by default the deductible is $5000 after I filed a claim. The deductible costs for $500 is only $10 more a month but it is not offered on signup you have to change it in their system. Other insurance for auto's asked what deductible you want but not on RV insurance with them! So beware if the cost seem cheap to you. It's because your deductible is really high!

I had a policy with Progressive for years. I had a fire at my new home from my car. The fire started in the driveway and burned my garage and the side of my new home. I was awoken one night by the fire with my two children asleep in their beds. As a mother running out of the house with my baby in my arms and my other child by the hand at 4:30 am in the freezing cold in their pajamas and no shoes was horrifying. The emotional stress after was overwhelming. The thinking about all of the what if! What if I had not awaken. What if I was not home. What if something happened to my children the love of my life. I call Progressive the next morning still devastated about what happened and only to be grilled as I have done something wrong. The way I was treated was devastating. The fire happened December 30th 2016 and still nothing from the adjuster of when this is going to be finished to put this all behind me.

I have Nationwide as my homeowner insurance and I have to say they stand by their words. Nationwide is on your side. They were amazing talking me through the emotional process and they are with me to the end of this process. That was comforting after all that I have been through especially around the Holiday time. I warn everyone not to use Progressive, because when you need them they will not be there.

The guy that came out was very rude and not professional at all. He had No right to tell me I had my music in my car too loud and that he would expect it from someone younger, not someone my age. My husband is not on my insurance with Progressive but they insist on sending the bill in his name as if I mean nothing to them although I make all the payments. They are not willing to help you find a cheaper rate. They don't give me credit for having OnStar safe and sound on my car. They seem too busy when you call to talk to them and won't change the billing although my husband is not on their insurance. The bill always comes in his name Just because he is the man. Very belittling to me.

I hit a deep pothole one night, after days of snowing. The customer service rep (woman) treated me like it was my fault, like I hit the pothole on purpose! She was rude the entire time. I'm leaving this company! I wouldn't recommend Progressive to anyone! Extremely poor customer service! Progressive has some of the rudest customer service representatives you will ever encounter. Not even worth buying insurance from them. My rates went up and not ONE person could explain to me why. No tickets, no accidents. Rude Rude & Rude! Whenever I called for any reason, I was treated like I was bothering them. Don't buy Progressive insurance!

Let me first off say that I am not the one covered by Progressive. Instead, I had a Progressive driver hit my car in a not-at-fault accident on my end (I was rear-ended). This is where the treacherous experience of dealing with Progressive started. It has been 6 months. My car is finally fixed after 6 adjusters, 2 managers, 12 customer service representatives, and 52 ignored phone calls (they don't hire the brightest employees apparently). Next is my diminished value claim... now they aren't responding to my lawyer. I have never experienced such a lack of professionalism from one company before; it is disgusting how they run their "business". I will never have a contract with them. Despicable.

I wanted to get a quote by sending in my current declaration page, however, I was told by ASHLEY that I can't send it, but we could do it over the phone. One of the things she asked me was my SS, which I was skeptical, however, she reassured me that it would be a soft hit... So I gave it to her. As the questions kept going, I got uncomfortable and told her that I DO NOT want to continue. We weren't even 1/2 way through and told her that I DID NOT want her running ANY type of credit. She arrogantly said, "well you gave me your SS number and therefore gave me authorization." I told her that I had the LEGAL right to stop at any time and that is exactly what I was doing. Not only was she recording our conversation, but so was I!! I again reiterated that I am NOT giving her authorization to run ANY TYPE of credit soft or not!!! She told me to have a good day and hung up. I gave a 1 star only because that was the lowest I could go.

I needed insurance for 1 month. I called PROGRESSIVE and asked if I can get one month of auto insurance. I was told purchase the 6 month coverage and cancel it after one month. I paid for 1/3 of the coverage. After one month, I tried to cancel. Customer Service kept trying to tell how I need 6 months of insurance. I said did not need the 6 months insurance on this vehicle. I tried to cancel before next month's payment was due. Then I was told I had to pay about 100 dollars to cancel my insurance. I disagreed with the customer service rep. Explained why I did what I did. The customer service agent stated because I was cancelling before the next payment is due. She would prorate the cancellation fee and charge 88 dollars instead.

A week later I get a bill for about 100 dollars. I wrote to Progressive 3 times explaining that I did not think I owed this money and did not understand why I was being charged this amount. I now have a warning letter saying if I do not pay this almost 100 dollar Progressive will send this amount to a collection agency. They never responded to my 3 letters. I am shocked by this response. I did what the customer service agent told me to do but no one ever said I would have to pay an extra 100 dollars to cancel the policy.

I bought a policy from Progressive Insurance ONLY because my niece works for Progressive. Boy, was that wrong! On a day that I was bored, surfing the WEB, I started reading reviews of Progressive. I really should have read the reviews BEFORE purchasing but, now I have buyer's remorse! I called and asked my niece if she knew why Progressive does not respond to customers reviews? Her response was that they did respond, "When you see a bad review, Progressive employees are the people that write the GOOD reviews that follow!" To prove this comment, this weekend when I saw her, she signed on to 2 separate reviews, on 2 different websites, to show me that these were hers!!

PROGRESSIVE HAS SOME NERVE! I have 2 more months left on my policy. I have already told my niece, I'm going back to my old insurance company, should have never left! Yes, they have some bad reviews but, the company responds to the reviews with actual responses not BOGUS PRAISE! I understand there is a Review Board with Consumer Affairs and they offer the company time to respond. Consumer Affairs shouldn't wait on Progressive Insurance! Look back on the reviews of this company. Progressive doesn't bother!!

I signed up with this company in September 2016. The staff do not have a clue. Customer beware. Horrible hold times on the telephone. Supervisor Camilla promised to check and call the next day. Angry woman, still no response 4 days later. No notes in the system. Do not believe the commercials they are not true about Progressive Insurance. Shop around. It is all about the money.

Progressive is denying fault for an accident my daughter was involved in. It is clearly their client's fault but they are trying anything just to not have to pay her repairs. Because of this it goes to arbitration. Now it's been 3 weeks, our car is still wrecked, and my daughter has to walk alone in the dark and cold to and from the bus each day to be able to go to work. Nice job Progressive. How do you sleep at night. Hope it feels good to screw people over. No conscious for anyone there. Never have my business.

I hit a deer. Progressive Insurance first said they were going to total the car because the air bag had deployed. Then decided not to because my car was worth too much. Three different adjusters said it would be fixed in two weeks. Two months later and I'm still waiting due to back ordered air bag parts. I called and asked if they could pay my deductible because it was taking a lot longer than expected. A flat 'no' was given. My reasoning is I have paid two car payments. Three different adjusters said it would only be two weeks to repair my car. They are not reasonable or helpful. This whole experience was bad. There roadside assistance to pick up the car even lost the car initially. I should have known right then this claim was going to be a ordeal.

I am a low income person who is currently on public assistance because of physical limitations. Before you use a stereotype know that I served my country and worked for over twenty-five years before I needed assistance. I am currently in a mandatory job search program administered by Gloucester County Social Services (New Jersey). Since I can't take the bus I recently scouted online for automobile insurance so that I can continue to attend the job search and keep my benefits until I can rejoin the work force. Progressive was the lowest down payment by twelve dollars over GEICO. It doesn't seem like much but I get 140.00 a month. When I went to the website to buy it I ran into a typical problem for low income people. Progressive was willing to take my down payment from my debit card but they insisted that the subsequent payments be tied to a checking account.

Most low income people do not have a checking account because it is not practical. I used to have one when I was working, but since I now get 140.00 put directly on a card the fees and need were unnecessary. Progressive WAS willing to take my payments from my debit card eventually, but the down payment went from 85.00 to over 100.00 and the overall policy cost went up. When I asked why it went up the kid just told me that "this is how we do it." Since debit payments are just as "paperless" as a checking account I can see where this policy can be construed as just giving people with a checking account a more favorable rating while once again victimizing the people who can least afford it.

I responded to their ad or "click bait" about lower auto insurance rates. After they obtained my information, my computer was subject to countless attacks. They must be hurting for business or just plain criminals. On the other hand, perhaps it was a 3rd party using their name, or some other 3rd party scam. Regardless, they don't seem to have their act straight. Not feeling comfortable with Progressive. TV commercials are funny, but they suck as business.

When I called to file the report, the woman that I spoke with was very supportive and empathetic. She told me who would be contacting me, when, and what the steps from there out would be. The coverage that I have for my car is wonderful. I had an insurance quote completed prior to my renewal and the agent told me that she didn't know how I got such a low rate, especially since I didn't contact Progressive through them. As always, there are some things that are frustrating but I think they apply to all insurance companies. It's worth every penny for their customer service. The people that work for Progressive are incredibly accommodating. They seem to make it a goal to remember that you have contacted them before and you're worth calling back.

I never had an accident while with Progressive, yet my premium kept rising. The representative said that I was classified as a Construction worker (which I've never done). One week after that was fixed, I received an email from their underwriting staff stating that I had not "received their best" and that my monthly bill would be even higher than it had been before. They give the bare minimum coverage, at the highest possible price. Their Snapshot plug-in will penalize people that drive at night or in bad traffic.

There was absolutely no value in this company. I received state minimum coverage for $145 per month. I suffered this fleecing for a year, when I received a call from State Farm. They would not offer my current coverage, simply because it was not enough insurance. My limits are doubled, and I pay $86 per month. Their customer service representatives, while knowledgeable in company sales tactics, do little to satisfy customers. Their management and underwriting staff will undermine any good representatives trying to do their best.

Super easy claims, helpful claims staff, and continuous updates through the whole process. Very satisfied and while I wouldn't want to have another claim I'd be happy to deal with the staff. Staff went through multiple coverage options and truly helped me find the policy that actually fit my budget. Very satisfied, call them every time renewal comes up to make sure I'm still getting what's right for me. I get excellent coverage for the price I pay. Customer service is fantastic, ease of access to all documents is great. They've been my only insurance company. Reps are always very friendly and helpful and tend to bend over backward to make sure you are getting what you need with a policy. Also fantastic with claims.

They have been easy to do business with so far, and therefore I hope it will be an easy process for me to do if and when I ever have to file a claim. Their coverage is good. They have a wide range of coverage options and they also cover a lot of areas, home, auto, etc. Their package deals seem to be fair. I only have auto, but would also go to them if I needed additional insurance. I feel rest assured having the auto insurance thru Progressive. They have been helpful and consistent. Their prices are not too bad, and again, I would go to them if I needed additional insurance in other areas. Progressive has been helpful, nice, professional and consistent in my dealings with them. Thus far, I have not found any hidden clauses that has made me question my choice to use them.

Everything was questioned when I made a claim. My car was totaled, the radiator was cracked, and the hood dented. The coverage plan paid out the remainder of my car loan, which was about $8000. The value Progressive added to my life was that I was able to get another car after I wrecked my first car. I did not have to find rides from other people. My interactions with Customer Service was with the claims representative. She was rude when I filed my claim. She could not seem too understand why I did not have a picture of the deer that I hit. I just it on a dark interstate with little traffic on a cold night. Then I had to provide my work schedule, phone records, and bank statements for the month before and the month of the accident happen. This was to ensure I was not committing insurance fraud.

Progressive is quick and easy to help when I need it even if they won't cover it. They will recommend places you can go for a decent price. It covers all my vehicles for a fair price. I still think the prices are too high though. They need to not charge so much. They do need to educate you about your policy better. Their prices start out really good and then they raise them after the first 6 months to be just below everyone else's. It's kind of a crock. Their customer service is very nice and helpful for the auto part. Just don't talk to their homeowner's insurance. They don't know what they are talking about.

We have had multiple claims and the submission process is very easy. Information is available online and the claim representative I dealt with was very responsive. My experience with the assigned repair shop was also pleasant. We have full coverage for 3 cars and the offerings are acceptable. Additional gap coverage and income protection options are good. I did have some trouble getting medical expenses covered although they were part of my policy. Car insurance is a necessity, and Progressive has done an adequate job in making this necessity accessible. They make changing policy options easy through their online website.

You have access to people too if you need to chat online or phone so these are value added services. The customer service team is generally knowledgeable. I have on occasion needed to call more than once to obtain information about the same topic since I was not confident with the first answer provided. In doing so I did receive a different answer the second time that made more sense than the first response.

I am pleased with the coverage I have. I would recommend Progressive to someone looking for insurance. They have many options to choose from to customize your coverage. I feel as if we pay too much for insurance and when it is used, the rates go up. I am pleased with the customer service. I always speak to a very pleasant person who is able to assist me quickly. They do have great customer service.

I feel I have great coverage and get great discounts. I have full coverage on all of my vehicles and pay less than people who only have state liability. I pay so much less than anyone I know even those who only have state liability and I have full coverage on 3 vehicles.

If in an accident they handled my claim quickly and without complaint. My claim adjuster called, told where to meet him and within minutes handed me a big fat check. Walked in the office told them what I wanted, I filled out the forms and signed. I was walking the next day insured. Happily insured. They had the best rates in town and checked every insurance (brick and mortar in town), got in got out. Customer service is the best in the business, the best in town. The only place in town with devoted people. Handed me the forms no questioned asked, gave them the check and it cleared the right bank, no JIVE about it.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.
  • Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.
  • Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.
  • Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.
  • 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Compare Auto Insurance