Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
2.85/5
Based on 1,130 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

3793 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I was involved in an accident. I had the right way and my eyes were on the road. I know what was my surroundings and what light was on. Intersecting the intersection. A car from my right that had a red light made a fast right turn. Then made a full stop to make a left turn. The street only has a one lane of equal direction. Without a legal center lane to make a left. For desperate decision from the other driver. Not knowing what he was about to do. It was not enough time or distance to make a full stop. Especially on a rainy night. I slid and made impact then the car in front of me. Then the car in front of me took off. Leaving me behind.

I wish I had a dash cam to show the officer. Yet they are not witnesses. They only assume what happened. The other driver came back just before the police arrived. I told the officer what happened. Then the other driver told his side. At the end I got the ticket. I explained what happened to a Progressive agent. Then after the recording. The agent named Jesus from Tucson Arizona claimed me at fault for the accident. Now I have an attorney fighting my case and court trial. Progressive is not there for me and they will not be there for you. I'm a victim of Progressive insurance. Dont be one like me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have been in an accident with an uninsured motorist. My state requires that I have UMI/UIMI and the only way not to have it is to physically sign that you are refusing to have it. The person that hit me had nothing no liability or collision. Her tag was even expired. Now I am stuck paying a $2000 deductible to have my own truck fixed where her insurance should be paying and Progressive says I only have PI on uninsured motorist not collision. So I am an Alabama State Trooper and have been for 19 years and they are trying to tell me what the law is in my state. (Excuse the profanity).

This ** at claims refuses to admit he is anything but right and says it all on me unless I want to sue her. I told him he had better pray to whatever god he believed in that he never comes through my state and gets stopped. Do not believe anything about this company. They will rip you off and give you the runaround and hope your not ever hit by an uninsured driver cause if so no matter what you know is right they will screw you. Do not Buy auto insurance from the sons of **!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I purchased commercial insurance, paid in full for my RV Transport service. Sole proprietor, 1 driver, Ram 3500. When I contacted FMSCA (DOT) they stated they did not have my insurance on file. I contacted Progressive who stated my insurance should have been over $18,000 for 1-year versus the quote I had already paid. How can this be justified at that rate. Bad thing is most commercial insurance is usually done with Progressive.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My son recently leased a Car - before buying, we called Progressive from the Dealership with the Make, Model, and VIN to ask them how much it would cost to remove his old car and add the new car. They said it would cost $**/month. After purchasing the Car, the bill was at least 25% more than what they had quoted earlier. My son and I are really pissed at Progressive and are shopping around - they shall be dumped ASAP. Surprised that such a Company is at the top of the list. Says much about the quality of the Companies available to shop with!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Was with Progressive for 5 years. Never had a claim until 4 weeks ago. The car was deemed total loss just because air bags deployed. I told Progressive That I had wheelchair accessible conversion four years ago. The adjuster said there was no record of me telling him that. So even with looking at the car he can't accept that it was wheelchair accessible. So he treated it as if I never had it accessible. So I did not get the payout that I deserved and the payout has taken 3 weeks. If you sign with Progressive get everything that you told Progressive in writing. Also expect long wait times to get paid claim. Also your car will be deemed totaled if any air bags deployed. I am done with Progressive. Good insurance until you have a claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

If you will have accident and other driver also have a PROGRESSIVE you will eat all the cost of both cars and all injuries!!! They will VOID your insurance on the spot!!! Then you will receive: Cancellation Notice. Rescission Notice. PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE! STAY AWAY FROM PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID PROGRESSIVE.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Progressive uses a dispatch company called Agero... They have messed up so many calls dispatching my towing company that this morning I HAD ENOUGH and I tried to complain to Progressive that Agero is "BIG TIME TICKING OF THEIR CUSTOMERS AND ME!" with poor dispatch information (in the case of this morning NO INFORMATION!). I am insured through Progressive on my tow company myself... So I tried my customer service numbers to make a complaint myself for Progressive to investigate! They sent me (transferred me!) to complain to Agero... Really!

This morning at 7:55 I get a call that a man is stuck in his driveway needing winched out... Of course I am in the bathroom... No pencil to write down the information of where this man is at... I told her call me back in 5 minutes. She said she would e-mail the instructions to me! I asked her again to call me back our internet (Dish) is too slow to be reliable. I need the information verbal and again I asked her to call me back and she agreed!

Waiting for her call (with a notepad in hand) I get a call... 10 minutes after waiting for her to call Its. The man stuck in his driveway... He's chewing me out because I've been leaving him sit in his driveway 2 hours! I explained to him I JUST GOT THE CALL 10 MINUTES EARLIER AND DO NOT KNOW WHERE HE IS AT MUCH LESS BEEN GIVEN PAYMENT... He told me to get my ** there. I said forget it! I'm not going to be chewed out for someone else's incompetence! And hung up on him!

10 minutes after I hung up on him I received the e-mail from Agero Idiots of where he is at... Called them back informing them of their dispatchers dropping the ball TOTALLY!!! And told them they need to service me better if they expect my company not to hit ignore on Agero calls! Apparently Progressive was not interested in investigating on Agero!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been a customer for over 5 years and have always had the best customer service. I love their app. It saved me money by showing I am a good driver. Easy bill pay and rewards each month. If you need a customer oriented and reliable auto insurance company Progressive is the way to go!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I made a claim for hitting a curb. Progressive does not replace your original wheels with new original manufactured automakers wheels, example, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota, etc. Instead they use re-manufactured wheels that have been recycled from totaled vehicles, and/or off market generic wheels recycled. These wheels have been sanded, repaired, repainted, and have zero warranty and are unsafe to drive on. If the wheel fails from unseen stress in the wheel, you cannot sue the company who remanufactured the wheel. There are no markings on wheel to prove who or where the wheel came from.

If your re-manufactured wheel fails while driving then your life and passenger’s lives, as well as, other vehicles involved are at high risk of injury or death. The driver of the vehicle is at fault for the accident and potential loss of life from Progressive using unsafe Re-manufactured wheels. The practice is to use remanufactured or recycled parts to repair your vehicle that pose safety threats to life and limb. I believe many people are unaware of the practices that Progressive and other insurers are using to save the money, while leaving their customers liable for accidents caused by defective parts and bodily harm and even death!

It’s a dirty secret that insurers do not tell you and many do not even question the parts listed on the estimate nor read their policies. It’s time to better educate yourself! You can request from an insurer if they have a Ryder that you can add on so that if in the event of an accident that your vehicle parts be replaced with new original parts from the automaker that your car is, Chrysler, Ford, etc. Especially for parts that are a essential for safety of your vehicle. Note: Snapshot ruined all the electronics in my new vehicle, top of the line model. There is a class action lawsuit!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I signed up for Progressive Auto Insurance for myself and my wife. We participated in the snapshot program and received an A and B on the cars - and were told we had earned an extra discount. We had no incidents, tickets, or claims of any kind, have never even spoken to an agent (just a 5 minute chat session to confirm this information). We have the exact same cars now a year older and worth a bit less. And yet - overall - Progressive is still quoting higher rates because they say there were 'online discounts' that are 'falling off'.

They were never clear about this and although it isn't a lot of money (because my cars got older and I earned a snapshot discount) I personally find this practice misleading and deceptive. Hook me on your value and your service - your honesty and your reputation --- not your hidden teaser rates (I have both declarations pages). Companies that are not confident in their ability to deliver real value resort to this sort of borderline trickery. I am taking my business elsewhere before the current policy period ends. I recommend other keep on shopping.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

After shopping around, I found Progressive Auto Insurance cheaper than Geico; however, after passing cooling off period, they send me an increase of 70%! After calling for cancellation they charged me prorated based on new premium + cancellation fee! Be aware of their trick to sell cheaper insurance. I will trust Geico safely.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had an incident on the 29th of December in which I avoided hitting a guy on a scooter and hit a tree. I call the roadside assistance and gave them the location of my vehicle and they never showed up. My vehicle was subsequently stolen from the location and their representative has did everything in her power to my our lives complicated. She inferred that we had a tow truck to steal our vehicle and she's asking for phone records, bank statements, Uber accounts, etc... I'm a Pastor of a Ministry in Va Beach Va and this unprofessional woman has insulted our INTEGRITY on several occasions. This is the first claim since being with Progressive and it will be our last... With Progressive you're GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT. My wife and I have never been treated like criminals in our lives until now. This company is an embarrassment to other good insurance companies...

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

If I could give them no stars I would. We had their car insurance and then the time came to purchase our first home and we bundled the home insurance which is underwritten by a company called QBE. Between the constant raising of rates and then one day they did us a favor and QBE decided to drop us because our roof (which is in good shape) is 10 years old. So we tried calling Progressive to get more info. We were transferred 5 times. The reps didn’t even listen to us to understand what we needed. We had to finally hang up. Positive note we got signed up with USAA, we will be saving money and are getting amazing insurance. The customer service at USAA was excellent so thank you Progressive. You did us a favor. USAA appreciates you sending them your business.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Had an insurance claim from accident and it’s been nothing but aggravation trying to get in touch with this company. Emails never get responded to, car rental company is harassing me for payment because the claim is over 30 days old. Progressive does not call them back either. Supervisors are never available to talk to. It’s the worst insurance company i have ever had to deal with in my 30 years of driving.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We were hit by a Progressive insured driver Nov 23. I called my ins carrier right away! Adjuster from my ins called back day after my call. Police officer said other driver was at fault... never stopped and excessive speed! My ins said we have to wait for Progressive to claim liability... and my ins demanded they do it asap. Adjuster from Progressive didn't call so 3 days later I called her... When they found out there were injuries had to wait until that adjuster called! So dealing with PI adjuster and vehicle adjuster... PI adjuster was switched in new year so that is actually going much better than before. Vehicle adjuster NEVER answers his phone, NEVER returns a text and every time they said my vehicle was finished in body shop... I had to return it because of something they did not fix properly.

I returned my vehicle 3 times. When we picked vehicle up for the last time we took to our tire place... They said 3/4 tires were bad and one rim bent... Guess what? Back to shop... They replaced the rim but only would pay to have the tires balanced. In all reality and fairness we should have had the 3/4 tires replaced by Progressive because prior to the accident we had no wobbles or shaking. When we finally got our van back... mind you 6 weeks later... we were told by body shop and rental car company that, "This is what Progressive paid for and you are done. Pick it up and drop off rental..." That's it... just we are done. This is a CHEAP Company making oodles of money by cheapening the people that were hit by their insurers! I have nothing good to say. Oh and the first amount they tried to settle on injuries was under $1000. Give me a break!!! I am still in therapy and chiropractic appts 5 days a week.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My RX350 has a fender damage recently. Both independent shops gave me estimate about $2200. However, Progressive "Photo estimate" only give me about $1000. They try to fool me to take the check. I told them by intentionally underestimate my repair cost, they are undermining my right of getting a fair estimate. Without a fair estimate, it is impossible for a person to exercises his/her right of "fix or keep the money".

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Worst company. Rude customer service in claims department, no response to calls, emails, very unprofessional. They only look out for their company not the people they serve if you understand what I mean. GEICO is the way to go!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Moved to Progressive after many years at AAA. Worst decision ever! First claim for an auto accident where we were not at fault took 2 1/2 weeks to process and then was denied. I am going back to AAA today. DO NOT sign with them if you think you may ever have a claim!! Would have given 0 stars if possible. I am filing a complaint with the State of Michigan as well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been hit by a lady driver on a highway and even the police report mentioned that it's the problem with the lady driver. And, the highly valued and customer caretaker Progressive came into scene and I ended up paying my deductible.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was involved in a MINOR fender bender, in which the other driver came to a dead stop on a busy road, during wet weather. I tapped the other driver, at approximately 2-4 MPH resulting in ZERO damage to my car. During my conversation at the scene and to the interviewer with the adjuster at Progressive, the other driver admitted the damage was there from a previous accident. Progressive STILL paid for the repairs on a 13 year old vehicle totaling over $800. This caused my insurance score to drop over 300 points and increased my insurance 2x the premium I paid previously.

The other driver intentionally caused this accident with the hopes of getting her previous damage repaired. There was no reason to stop, the flow of traffic was steady. She could have caused a serious accident. BUT it was not her fault. Progressive determined that I am still responsible. The other driver is a deceitful liar and is representative of why insurance rates are out of control.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had a car accident - minor fender-bender - where I was hit from behind on December 11, 2018 in Miami, FL. I had Progressive Insurance and the other driver had Geico insurance. The police officer at the scene did not issue a ticket because she said she couldn't tell what happened, since we had both moved our cars. However, in the police report, in the diagram she drew, the police officer was clear that it was the other driver's fault for the accident. Even though I have damage to the back bumper of my vehicle; even though the other driver has damage to the front bumper of her vehicle; even though the police officer drew a diagram where she implicated the other driver was at fault - somehow I have been found at fault for this accident - and I am going to be responsible for the other driver's damages.

I've tried talking the Progressive claims adjusters; I have pointed out photos that clearly shows the damage from behind to my vehicle; I have pointed out photos where it shows the other driver has damage to her front bumper; and I have pointed out the police officer's diagram in the police report. Despite all of this - the Progressive Claims Adjustors insist I am at fault.

I am baffled and puzzled. Where has common-sense, logic and rationality gone to? How are these photos and the police report being ignored by the Progressive claims adjusters? But more importantly - WHY??? I would think Progressive would be interested in either having the other auto insurance be liable since I was hit from behind; or at least have the other driver's auto insurance be responsible for her damages. But no - I am going to be responsible for everything. It's mind-boggling. I have no explanation for any of this behavior on the part of Progressive, but I am furious. STAY AWAY FROM THIS AUTO INSURANCE AT ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

After speaking with them for over an hour repeating much of the information they asked for, they documented that we were licensed in the wrong state. I know I gave her our licensed numbers several times, they documented that we had a gap in our coverage because she could not find the information on our previous policy -- we have never had a gap in our insurance! There was other misinformation on the policy. They are money grubbing and inconsiderate. Absolute worse experience I have ever had with any company!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Our vehicle was struck by a Progressive-insured motorist the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I reported the claim immediately, from the accident scene. Once all of the information had been gathered I was told it would be 10 days before an adjuster could come and look at my car, if I wanted to move any faster then I needed to send them videos that I took (in a very specif format) so they could pre-assess the damage (in other words, do their job for them). It took about 10 days for them to accept responsibility for the damage, even though their insured driver admitted fault and was ticketed for causing the accident. Then I was given a list of "preferred" vendors that they suggested for the repairs. Only one was close to my home so I chose that one.

The next day Progressive called me and said that shop was no longer on the preferred vendors list. I used them anyway and they did fine. Communication was almost all one-way throughout the process. No one EVER answers their phone at Progressive, just leave a message any they will get back to you eventually. My vehicle was ready for pickup on Jan. 3. So I dropped off the rental that morning only to be informed by Enterprise that Progressive had only paid through the second and that I had to pay the extra day. After three phone calls Progressive finally talked the repair shop into paying the extra day and never offered an apology or explanation for why the rental was stopped early.

Finally, Progressive claimed there was no diminished value to the car even though the repairs go on the Carfax report. I would highly suggest that you stay away from this lousy company. When all of this was done I cancelled my Progressive policies on my personal vehicles and moved to Geico Insurance... and saved over $200 on a six-month policy (for 2 cars).

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I was involved in a multi car accident caused by a Progressive Insured Driver the week of 11/19. I was sitting still and the last vehicle to be hit (rear driver’s side door caved in). The Progressive claim representative has not returned my calls for over a week. I called again this morning, He says the claim is in "liability". Nothing can be done until this liability issue is resolved. Progressive has admitted responsibility and say they want to fix my vehicle but "SORRY, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS". Progressive puts up these huge advertising campaigns but are just as sleazy and cheap as any of the low end insurance companies when it comes to pay-out on claims. I'm done dealing with Progressive. Turning over to my own insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have 4 vehicles, 1 driver who is a teenager in college and my husband and I. 3 of our cars are older And on PIP insurance and one of our cars is new and full coverage. I called and asked him about why my rate for my next 6 months' insurance went up to $844 a month for vehicles 3 on PIB and the 1st lady I talked to said that there is an accident under my name which was a lie. I called and I found out that it was a no fault accident that had nothing to do with me 2 years earlier and I'm being charged from them and then on top of it they say that my daughter because she's a teenager. She's almost money is at high risk so they gave me the highest rate possible. I ask for discounts. I asked for help. I asked him explain it to me and I basically got a "Screw off. This is the rate. Take it or leave it." Would never recommend them ever.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I wish I could give them a negative star rating, but that would be far too high of a rating for these crooks. A few years ago my ex-girlfriend called to inquire about how much it would cost to insure her granddaughter who had just got her drivers license. I was the policyholder on the account which covered my vehicle and my girlfriend's vehicle. She called to find out how much it would cost if the child were to reside with us. Although the child resided with her dad.

These ** decided that they were going to attempt to bill me as if the child resided at my home of which I told them numerous times that she did not live with me, and that I did not as the policyholder make the inquire much less authorize anyone else to add and or delete anyone on or off of the policy. They then wanted to see proof of her residency at her dad's address. They threatened me with a $400.00 a month insurance bill, and if it was not paid they would cancel the policy due to non-payment. All of the people that I spoke with were less than professional and rude beyond words. Why should I have to threaten legal action to resolve this problem? I would never refer anyone to this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I was not notified about my claim, I made the first call. The rep talked so disrespectful, I requested another rep through his supervisor who was also disrespectful and said I can't switch reps. So I called his boss and he never called me back. I was treated like a criminal and not the victim. I will be leaving soon.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

If I could give Progressive a no stars I would. I got into an accident on 12/11/18 with a driver who has Progressive insurance. I filed a claim against the other driver for backing into the side of my truck. I have damage between my rear tire and tail light (tail light is not damaged), while the other driver has a busted tail light and damaged bumper. When I got assigned to a claims representative (India **) she told me that it could be both of our faults since we were backing up. That is BS. I was about to put my truck in drive when the other driver backed into me. I would take responsibility if I had back end or hit the right side of her car (The left side of her car is damaged). I was in a diagonal parking spot and the other driver was in a straight parking spot.

My insurance agent said that it was her fault and he will NOT pay for the damage to her car. The most frustrating part is that we cannot get a hold of India ** (claims representatives) on the number she provided. My mom had to call corporate to get through to her. She then tells my mom that a supervisor will need to be involved because we were both backing up, and that we should hear something the next day. Well it’s been over a week and we cannot get a hold of India ** so my mom is calling corporate again on Monday. If I have one advice for anyone DON’T get Progressive. I don’t want someone else to go through what I have to go through.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I called to see what my policy covered in regards to windshield replacement - did not file a claim or anything, just wanted to know the details if I ever needed or wanted to use it. But Progressive opened and filed a claim against my policy anyway in regards to my questions! Now there is a "claim" recorded against my policy, despite one never being filed, no money of any kind paid out, etc. So far they have been unwilling to address or correct the error - and even claim they "can't". This policy is for my daily driver, and this error is subject to raise my premium, is jeopardizing my claims free discount with Progressive and the quotes I have obtained in the last few days.

The biggest problem is this can also be held against my separate collectors policy for my 4 classic cars, which is strictly reviewed every year due to the low cost but high coverage of these vehicles (example: I pay for full coverage on all 4 classics what full coverage would cost on one regularly insured vehicle). If I lose my collector's policy I'm looking at an $8000+ a year increase! And I live in NJ!!! All because Progressive made a clerical error. I've already contacted my attorney - does anyone have an additional suggestions or advice?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I signed up for automatic withdraw payments to save $95. First of all how ridiculous that they would start charging me that much more if I didn't sign up for it... Ridiculous. Then they tried pulling the payment out at 4 am... So it got declined because my money was not deposited til 5:30-6 so I am charged $25 fee. This is just nonsense. Try having your company pull payments at a normal hour maybe... 6? Just wow. What a waste of money. Roadside service is also a complete joke. They are no real help if you really need it.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky