2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.3/5 (84 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

Top Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my bac...

Verified

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient an...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive auto insurance

Progressive is one of America's largest auto insurance companies, serving more than 20 million drivers. The company offers competitive rates in every state and an easy-to-use website with several helpful features and resources.

Progressive auto coverage

Progressive offers basic auto coverage options, which include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It also has some add-on coverage options, such as:

• Roadside assistance: Pays for emergency services like towing or help with a breakdown or flat tire.
  • Custom parts and equipment protection: If your car has special features like custom wheels, this policy protects them.
  • Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being replaced or repaired due to a covered accident.
  • Deductible savings bank: Can help save money during each policy period you don’t make a claim.
  • Ride-share: Protects ride-share drivers. It covers your car even when your commercial policy gaps.

Progressive also offers commercial and classic car coverage, as well as insurance for travel in Mexico.

Progressive auto insurance quotes and costs

Progressive rates are determined by coverage type, location and the driver’s age and driving record. An average Progressive policy for someone with a good driving record is about $192 per month, but it could cost as little as $47 monthly. Progressive also offers many discounts, which can make your policy even more affordable. Here’s a look at some discounts that could apply to you:

• Safe driving
  • Homeowner
  • Online quote
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic payment

Progressive also has some handy comparison tools on its website to help you find the right policy for your budget.

Progressive auto insurance FAQ

Does Progressive offer full coverage car insurance?
Progressive doesn’t advertise full coverage policies, but it does offer liability insurance and several additional and customizable coverages.
Does Progressive have accident forgiveness?
Yes. In most states, Progressive offers accident forgiveness through its loyalty rewards program.
Where is Progressive car insurance available?
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states.
Does Progressive offer rental car coverage?
Yes, Progressive offers rental car coverage while your car is replaced or repaired due to a covered incident.

Is Progressive car insurance good?

Yes, Progressive is a good auto insurance provider that's available nationwide. While it doesn’t have many agents, Progressive offers reasonable rates online, which you can purchase directly via its website. Overall, its competitive rates, handy add-on coverages like gap and rideshare insurance and various rewards and discounts make Progressive a pretty solid auto insurance pick.

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have been incredibly satisfied with Progressive insurance. I appreciated having the snapshot device to use when I switched to Progressive to help me be more aware of how I was driving. I was thrilled that when I moved to a different zip code I saved more money. I was also pleased that during Covid, Progressive introduced the Blue Apron Program which gave money back to its customers. Their website is easy to navigate and their customer service is great.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I found out this Agency from a friend. Wow! I was more than impressed with the agent's upbeat and assuring attitude. She knew the different policies and explained each one in plain details, not a lot of jive. She went through each one and noted pros and cons. She found discounts and applied them to afford me the most reasonable quotes for my policy. Instantly I had my documentation that were required and I am a happy camper. Note: Customer service is everything but the company's Service Representatives truly make the difference. 5 star care isn't just given, it's earned. I highly recommend them.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Signing up for a new policy on my van was incredibly easy and the price was so competitive too! I was able to do it all online without the hassle of talking to a salesperson, which I appreciated. I even was able to download my insurance card and all of the related documents as soon as I signed up. I've been very pleased with Progressive and even after shopping around, found theirs to be the best price of all. I highly recommend them as an insurance company for your automobile.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I’ve been a customer with Progressive for three years now and they seem to be the cheapest out all the ones I searched online for I was able to do my entire quote online and was able to get everything I wanted on my policy and was even able to purchase at a cheaper price because I did it online and saved even more by having automatic withdrawal. I’ve shopped around a lot and Progressive had the cheapest for my needs. I have no problems

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Progressive is easy to manage your account online but I missed the personal touch. There isn't just one agent that you build a relationship with and that person be your contact for questions or issues. I had my home and car with them and each one increased every year without explanation. When I called the call center, I was given the explanation of the cost of doing business increases. When I asked for help to review my policies, there were no suggestions on how I could save money. The personal touch is what I needed. After many years I looked for and found everything I needed. I left Progressive. Not a bad company, just wasn't what I wanted and needed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I am a newer Progressive customer. I have full coverage and paid for road side assistance. This morning I broke down in the middle of nowhere. I called for road side assistance and asked them for a tow to the nearest shop. They said, "We can do that." I said, "great." Then they informed me that they would only pick up my vehicle and take it to the shop and that I had to find my own way there. I said, "Let me get this right. The point of road side assistance is to get you back on the road or to a shop to get your vehicle fixed so you're not stranded on the side of the road and since you're willing to pick my vehicle up but no willing to let me ride to the shop I need to walk 5 miles to get to the nearest shop." They operator said yes. I am glad I was the one to break down and not my wife and child. I am very displeased with my service and I will be getting a new insurance.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Horrible customer service! After several weeks, our claim has still not been serviced. East Coast claim representative does not return calls and leaves at 4:00 pm. There is no formal complaint or quality control department. We are in process of filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Switched due to the enticing prices but regret this decision. Do not recommend this insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I have been with Progressive for about 4 years and recently became ill and hospitalized. I called as soon as I was able after being out of hospital to ask for assistance in extending my payment date and they did nothing. Just said it will be expiring and canceled. I could even make the payment in 4 days after it cancels and they said, "Sorry it will still be canceled." This company has zero sympathy and just treat customers like a number and not a human being that was experiencing a rough patch. I have always paid on time as well. I will be switching to All-State whom is amazing and got a 80 difference in price for the same coverage.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

After 2 months my payments went from $238 to over $400 for no reason. Stopped auto pay and they still took money out of my account. Was put on hold for over 1 hour waiting for a supervisor. Finally hung up. Worst customer service I’ve experienced.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Please do not take Progressive Insurance. They are absolutely horrible. They had a cheaper rate but it is not worth the horrible experience and condescending customer service reps you will have to endure.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information