2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5
Based on 1,868 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Progressive Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I found out this Agency from a friend. Wow! I was more than impressed with the agent's upbeat and assuring attitude. She knew the different policies and explained each one in plain details, not a lot of jive. She went through each one and noted pros and cons. She found discounts and applied them to afford me the most reasonable quotes for my policy. Instantly I had my documentation that were required and I am a happy camper. Note: Customer service is everything but the company's Service Representatives truly make the difference. 5 star care isn't just given, it's earned. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Signing up for a new policy on my van was incredibly easy and the price was so competitive too! I was able to do it all online without the hassle of talking to a salesperson, which I appreciated. I even was able to download my insurance card and all of the related documents as soon as I signed up. I've been very pleased with Progressive and even after shopping around, found theirs to be the best price of all. I highly recommend them as an insurance company for your automobile.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Progressive is easy to manage your account online but I missed the personal touch. There isn't just one agent that you build a relationship with and that person be your contact for questions or issues. I had my home and car with them and each one increased every year without explanation. When I called the call center, I was given the explanation of the cost of doing business increases. When I asked for help to review my policies, there were no suggestions on how I could save money. The personal touch is what I needed. After many years I looked for and found everything I needed. I left Progressive. Not a bad company, just wasn't what I wanted and needed.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I love the snapshot service that they offer. It keeps me driving responsibility. If you stop to hard or take a corner too fast or what is considered unsafe, it will make a sound to notify you that it just did a snapshot. I have had my insurance lowered by 20.00 a month. It may not seem like a lot but over a year that's a savings of 240.00, that's 240.00 more that I can spend on date night with my husband, groceries or whatever I would like to spend it on or save it for a rainy day. Customer service reps are knowledgable on products and services. Love the savings.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Have had Progressive Auto for five years now and six months ago had my first claim, had an at-fault accident. My premium was about the same every time and I had no issue with them increasing rates significantly over the last five years. I did price check prior to every renewal, but know I was overpaying a bit. The accident was minor but I took my vehicle to a body shop and they found hail damage that I never noticed or reported. With these two issues, it didn't make sense to repair the car so I cashed it out and bought a different vehicle. The premium did not go up after my accident (my fault) and I'm pretty happy with the streamlined online process. I did notice from the few calls with a claims adjuster that she had a lot on her plate; it took almost a month to get through the entire process. Overall I am happy with their service.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

Bad customer service,, just to cancel my policy took me almost 30 minutes, Roadside service is bad. My reimbursement not receive. Roadside customer service is bad. I was told to pay out of my pocket because Progressive system is down, blame it to the system. BAD BAD BAD, in time of need, you are out of service.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Progressive encourages its policyholders to file fraudulent claims. Had a lady run a red light and had a police report. They denied my claim. Heaven ** is a corrupt employee and is not doing her due diligence.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have never been so disappointed by a company in my life. My fiancé and I have Progressive and we’re hit by a drunk driver a few months back. We pay for MedPay services on our insurance which means that it covers our medical bills up to $5000 each outside of the settlement. We both received chiropractic care to help with our back pain.

We each worked out our settlements to cover medical bills and pain and suffering (because again rear ended by a drunk driver while pregnant = lots of stress, anxiety and fear). We verified that medpay had covered our medical treatments with the chiropractor and their adjuster ensured us that they had and that our settlements would be coming to us in full. Well, she lied, or as her boss put it “she made a clerical error”.

As soon as we tried to cash our checks they were declined and progressive came back saying that they needed additional documentation from the chiropractor because medpay hadn’t in fact paid for my treatments. Then for my fiancé they said they totaled the amount of his treatment wrong (yes, they agreed that they made a mistake and gave us false info before we signed) and that he had actually gone over the medpay coverage of $5000 by $1200 so they would need to remove that from his payout to pay the doctor. Again, we asked these questions and have documentation and will admit that they messed up, but they expect us to pay and essentially holding us responsible for their bad faith acts.

It apparently doesn’t matter that they agreed to giving us false information before signing, or that they issued us checks and immediately voided them, they’re not willing to budge or accept fault because we signed the settlement so that’s what they’re bound to. They should be ashamed. Our settlements weren’t a lot of money (we accepted the first offer they provided and didn’t attempt to negotiate for more) and now they’re trying to remove a quarter of the amount from each to make up for their mistakes. What’s worse is how petty this is.... That amount of money is nothing to them but makes a huge impact in our lives. Again, they should be ashamed and I would highly recommend going with any other insurance provider.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

If you ever have the misfortune to be in an accident with an auto insured by Progressive, don't automatically think you will be paid for your damage. I had an incident with a car insured by Progressive in Dec, which they admitted their client was responsible for, but they refuse to fix my auto because they say they can't confirm coverage and need more time. They think I am just going to go away, they are sadly mistaken. I will write this review everywhere I can. Trust me, patience is not something you can have with this piece of crap insurance provider. So much for their commercials about going the extra. Well then again, they go the extra not to pay for their insured. I hope none of you ever has an accident with this so called provider.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I switched to Progressive Insurance at the end of November 2020. I, unfortunately, had an auto accident in late December. The claim experience was phenomenal. I was 100% taken care of and satisfied with the claim process. However, on 2/5/21 I awoke to an email dated 2/4/21 that stated my policy was canceled on 2/3/21 due to an underwriting issue. I immediately contacted Progressive who told me they had sent two notices regarding needing to conduct an underwriting review. I never received any of that information from them regarding cancelation, otherwise, I would have immediately rectified the situation. I did however receive multiple letters, emails, phone calls, and log-ins on the Progressive app without notice during this time. I updated my policy several times as I removed the loss vehicle, added another (and dropped another vehicle that I had sold). At no time was I made aware of a need for underwriting review.

With dozens of points on contact made with the company and a paper trail to support this claim, I contacted Progressive on 2/5/21 to explain that I was not notified and somewhere a breach in communication occurred regarding underwriting. After hours on the phone and multiple escalations, I was told I need to wait for up to 48 hours for a response and they will in no way reinstate my policy. As an individual who can prove these points of contact and who has every piece of mail sent from progressive stored in a file cabinet (without any underwriting review information included...), and who can prove multiple emails, app logins, website visits, and phone calls, I was kicked to the side and left without insurance, resulting in missing work to rectify insurance needs before driving my vehicle.

Progressive insurance does not operate a business that takes care of their customers and others need to be warned. Before they are put at risk, especially when this company is supposed to mitigate risk for consumers. Today I awoke to snow on the ground, imagine if worst case an accident would have happened without me seeing the one email, cancelation, and would have conducted my daily business not knowing that behind the scenes Progressive was conducting shady business practices. Please note my policy was current and paid, and any point of contact requested of me was immediately responded to. The proof is available if needed. I was told I would have to wait for up to 48 hours to reach a supervisor and in no way would they reinstate the policy.

I want it to be known I don't leave negative reviews often, if at all. I also am a responsible citizen who handles my responsibilities and acts when the situation dictates. Somewhere a breach in the chain of contact occurred and I believe that I have demonstrated that with all my points of contact made with the company I had provided several opportunities to be notified of this breach. I don't believe that was Progressive's intent and that they sought to drop my insurance due to the accident (so that I could create a new policy at double the rate).

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information