Call toll free*
Call toll free
3.28/5
Based on 995 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

3474 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

HORRIBLE!!! My daughter backed into a vehicle yesterday and we filed a claim. Today, I am working from home but it doesn't mean that I am not actually working or can stop something. I am working on, phone calls. I am in the middle of... It's just like work but I'm in my home office. I received an unknown call on my cell while on another call and didn't answer. The unknown number called back two more times never leaving a message. Less than 5 minutes later my 80 year old mother, who doesn't have the best mobility, comes teetering through my office door and hands me her cell phone. It was PROGRESSIVE!!! I'm not even sure how they got her number. She is not on the account nor is her cell phone number listed anywhere on the account.

I have a real issue with this, a huge issue with this. What if they call someone I am estranged from and give information to them? What if the number they call isn't mine and the person that answers passes themselves off as me. How does that work? It's unethical and has caused me to start to investigate other insurance companies. Bottom line is, people work all hours of the day and night and every day of the week. If I don't answer, LEAVE A MESSAGE. That's why we have voicemail and I will call you back to get my claim settled, THAT'S WHAT I PAY INSURANCE FOR!!! You got me this time Progressive but I will get the last laugh as I move my business elsewhere and let the world know of your unethical practices.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Snapshot is a JOKE. Touch your brakes and it goes off. I drive a truck, normal braking sets the darn thing off. If you don't use it, your rates go up 20% but if you do use it, you stand to have your rate go up even more. Snapshot is just an excuse to jump your rates to what everyone else charges. DON’T USE PROGRESSIVE.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Was in an accident by a driver who pulled out in front me. He got the citation and was clearly his fault. No problem right, that's what insurance is for right? Wrong. We both have Progressive insurance and I immediately called in a claim. The initial call went great, they got all the info and since it was a Saturday I knew it would take a few days. I finally had to call 3 days later and they saw in their system the other driver got the citation for reckless driving. My vehicle is undrivable so I expressed this to the rep and I needed in the shop asap and a rental car. Progressive said that they need to get his statement and if I want to file a claim on my policy I would have to pay the deductible and they would reimburse me. Same company, other driver ticketed, what's the problem here.

Progressive wanted me to send pics to get an idea if it needs to be totalled. It has cosmetic damage, no engine damage, however front bumper and headlights are beyond putting a bandaid on it so I can drive without costing me MY deductible. I asked if there was a claims office to get it checked out. There is not. Long story short, it has been 3 weeks and still not able to get it fixed because they have not let me get a quote from a body shop. Progressive will not pay for a rental car and the reason is because they haven't decided if my vehicle needs to be totalled. BS. Maybe $3000 damage. Needs front bumper and 1 headlight assembly needed, that's it.

I have had to do all of the legwork. Get my own prices to fix the damage, call and wait for them to call back, which they never have, I am the one that has to call back and find out what is going on. I get the same answer "Yes I was just going over your claim and was about to call you and"...blah blah blah. It's time to get my lawyer involved. Don't bother with this company. They will drag their feet until you give up on them. Finally they said they will send me a check to get it fixed and not once did they want a quote from a body shop that How do they even know what damage that is unseen needs to be repaired. This is big corporate insurance cheating out hardworking people yet again. I'm done with you Progressive.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Progressive insurance is the worst. I was a permanent customer since 2009, never gave me an affordable price for being part of them. Last year in 2017 I've bought a new car and had to have full coverage. They gave me the worst package ever. I used to pay my car in advance because I hate monthly payment and also supposedly you get a fair discount. I paid 2355.00 for 6 months, without the discount would be 2895.00 for a liability 15,000.00 each person which it is nothing and not good covered for a high price.

I knew it was overpriced but I wanted to keep my loyalty with Progressive until my sister opened my eyes telling me, don't care about loyalty, care about your pocket! She was right. As soon as my policy is was going to expire, I renew with another insurance agency with a better price with a liability 300,000 each person in an accident and all the packages covered for a better price. Don't go with Progressive, They don't care about the customers, they just care about money.

Original review: June 20, 2018

When I moved from N.C. Progressive gave me a good quote which I accepted. They didn't tell me the same policy with an added $92 discount for using the snap device would go up over 30% the second 6 months. What a SCAM!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 20, 2018

I live in Utah, I had insurance with Progressive until I decided to have my son removed from my policy. Since my son bought his own car and insurance of his own. I asked my insurance agent to make the changes and my premium went down. After a couple of weeks I received a bill from Progressive of $116. Their explanation was because my son is still living with me and that my son was able to drive my vehicles which I wouldn't let that happen since that was the reason of the why I had him removed from my policy. Can they legally do this even though my son has his own policy? Can I do something to have this bill taking away from collection.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My Florida auto policy was erroneously canceled because I didn't verify my address at my vacation home even though they write that policy too and all their communications went directly to spam. After I realized what happened they increased my rate substantially in order to reinstate (no change in driving records). Once it was reinstated I was assured that they would notify the State of Florida of their mistake so there would be no lapse in coverage. Well today, 5 months later I find out that my license has been suspended because they never notified the State of Florida. In addition the last payment I made they cashed the check over a month ago and didnt apply it to my account requiring me to send copies of the check which isn't that big of deal but this has all happened in less than a five month period. I'm a partner of an insurance brokerage and I deal with insurers daily and have never had this level of service or lack of with any other company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I am a current customer of Progressive, living in Fort Lauderdale. I was recently rear-ended and went through the whole ordeal of claim processing and long story short, this was a very frustrating experience. Progressive wasn't very responsive when I was trying to have repairs made, and when I called once, I waited on-hold for more than five minutes. Although they have been good for me in the past, I'm thinking of using this situation to shop around and see what others recommend for auto insurance in Florida. A friend recently recommended one site to read reviews, but wondering what people here think.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Purchased policy at $120 a month in Oregon. I have a perfect driving record. My roommate got a quote at under $80 a month. She is younger with a newer vehicle. The customer service rep offered only one possible reason I was getting charged more than my roommate is because I'm a male. Then he quoted me a new policy at 30% more than my current one from two months ago. This system is rigged, non-transparent. And they know we have no power so hey they ** you with a smile. The rep was nice. But hey bud, FYI, your working's for corrupt BS. And I suspect the higher quote is a BS tactic as well. I will be leaving progressive ASAP. Hey remember when I had insurance with you like ten years ago for about six years and never had a claim? No. Oh that's funny. How convenient.

Original review: June 14, 2018

This insurance company is very easy to do business with. Their rates are good, they give discounts on your driving habits and length of service with them and other insurance companies. They have very flexible payment plans.

Original review: June 13, 2018

A 16 year old Progressive driver ran a red light. She T-boned a SUV with two old ladies into my vehicle that was sitting at a red light just waiting for the light to turn green. She immediately jumps out her totalled car. Just so happens a cop pulled up immediately after and she lies to the cop like the old ladies hit her and couldn't explain how my vehicle was totaled also, long story short Progressive admitted she ran the red light but says they're not at fault and is refusing to pay either party. We both have suits against them now. SMH.

Original review: June 13, 2018

When I purchased my policy I pushed the button for full coverage and paid 750 for a six month policy being 56 with no accident or tickets in 3 years. They switched policies and kept the difference. Progressive charge too much for my policy only to be told it was not full coverage. Once I filed the claim I didn't hear from them again. The other person’s insurance company called me and did a follow up. The accident was not my fault either. I have not received either phone call, letter, or email telling me what the outcome was.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Progressive must have many lawyers. They are good at automatically grabbing my $. Their customer service is a criminal farce designed to frustrate customer to hang up. Last Friday the sleazeoids bounced me around & played their BS "rep will be with you soon". I waited & the crooks hung up on me 3 times! After an hour I got Sarah as a rep. She actually helped me!! I believe Progressive customer service is a criminal deceit a farce! They are lawyered scammers who should be banned from the internet & planet!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was hit by a car with Progressive insurance. The driver said he didn't hit me and the cop didn't see paint on their car. My car was damaged and my girlfriend and I felt the impact. The damage was minor and estimate was about $500 but I had a big black mark on my white bumper. Progressive chose not to pay the claim.

Original review: June 11, 2018

This is the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with. 1st they changed my policy several time raising and then refunding and raising again. I was never sure what my payments was going to be and couldn't get clear or reasonable answer as to why. 2nd their customer service if that's what you want to call it, could not explain anything. Any time I asked a question they would just read my policy, any idiot can do that. They were no help explaining any reasons for the raise in the policy. 3rd even after I cancel my policy they were still taking money from my checking account. This was 5 days after I canceled my policy.

The excuse was that I still owed for the previous month. I was told the previous month I was getting a refund for their mistake in billing, so come to find out it was only $50 and they billed me a month late. They said that anytime there is a policy change they bill the next month. Not the current month. I didn't change my policy. They were suppose to give me a refund. 4th they wouldn't sent Insurance cards in everyone's name without having to add and remove name in the policy. I had to call several time to get cards and other paperwork they were suppose to sent. They said they were sending it but I was not getting it. They want you to go paperless but wouldn't email the paperwork. So what good is paperless when I still get everything thru the mail? What kind of weird stuff is that.

Well long story short I will never do business the Progressive Auto Insurance again. They are the worst company to deal with. I did get Insurance with a different company who has the knowledge to explain any questions and is a 1/3 less in price. Thank God there are still some Insurance companies out there that are not a ripoff, headache, nightmare and total the worst company ever. They are even worst the Comcast. I would give them negative stars but to leave a review I had to get them 1.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have been a customer for years with this company, accident forgiveness isn't a real thing. In January my husband bumped a bumper of a car. They raised my insurance to 300+ a month, they said it's only for accidents under 500, the car he bumped wasn't worth 500 total. I have paid thousands of dollars for this insurance and never needed them, this is how they forgive accidents. I wouldn't recommend this insurance company at all, run away from this company. We have been accident free for over 20+years and a bumper scratch allowed them to stick it to me.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was a customer for 7+ years. They hiked my home insurance by 2x. After getting competitive quotes elsewhere, I convinced them to put me with another provider, and finally got them to agree and was back in business. Fast forward a year home and auto hike... I tried to get both looked at as I had other offers sent in the mail that were much better. No luck, they continued to try and justify the reason for the increase. Guess what, saved over $2,000 going with someone else.

Best part in the 7 years with Progressive I never had a claim... WOW, what a treat being a preferred customer. I fought to stay, but all that did was make me loyal to something that was fake with no meaning. Oh yeah, I called today to ensure my policy was cancelled and they had the nerve to charge me $11 and change for a booking fee and policy fee (may be off on exactly what the fees where called, because I was HOT). The receptionist held the whole call with an arrogant tone, which further frustrated me, as she asked if they could reach out in 5 months with new pricing... ya, NO THANKS!!! Get you in cheap and take advantage of your preferred status later... truly, unbelievable! Never again Progressive fakes!

Original review: June 8, 2018

To be clear I am NOT a Progressive customer and NEVER will be. I was hit by a Progressive customer (rear ended). I am told I have to go to Progressive's repair center which is clear across town from where I live for an estimate and they can't even look at it till the 18th (accident happened on the 1st). So I am stuck with a damaged bumper half hanging off my truck and cannot use my towing equipment for more than 2 weeks costing me money, I cannot fix the damage myself or at a shop of MY choosing until they do their estimate further holding me back from using my truck for its intended purpose.

When I complained to Progressive they got very rude and told me that's how they handle claims. I understand I'm not their customer and they want a fair resolution but there are 20 other body shops that can give an estimate the same day and expedite this process but they refuse to do that. I've already gotten 3 estimates that are all in agreement within a few dollars but Progressive insists they must use their shop. Still waiting to see how this plays out but thus far I am very dissatisfied.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I am finding that at the time of starting with Progressive there was less expensive insurance that may have been overlooked. I get emails from insurance companies that seem to have the same coverage for less. Except for that I am ok.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Had Progressive for year driving with snapshot device that supposed to capture "hard brakes". This device is incorrectly calibrated. It complaints about slightest push on brakes on all 4 cars. Only progressive benefits from miscalibrated snapshot devices, therefore is a scam. After a while they jacked up my price citing this device so I cancelled them. PS - their wait time on phone is always 5 min+. WTF Flow :-)?

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have been paying for full coverage on my car for a year. I recently purchased a car from my mom and had it for 3 days. On day 3, my car was totaled by a hit and run in the middle of the night. Progressive has found a loophole to not cover me. They are the most crooked company I have ever dealt with. They are trying to tell me that I met 2 of the 3 criteria needed to cover my car.

1. It was bought within 30 days of the accident. 2. There was no other insurance on the car at the time, and 3. That all cars in my name HAD to be insured by Progressive (which was NEVER EVER, EVER told to me). Apparently this is in the fine print, and it royally screwed me. Now I am left paying for a car that is totaled and still have to find funding for another vehicle and make 2 car payments at once. I have never dealt with such crooked people. They suck!!! BE VERY CAUTIOUS about getting insurance with them. They WILL find a loophole to NOT cover you. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

Had Progressive for a few months. Decided to try the Snapshot to help obtain lower rates. Do not use the Snapshot to lower your rates unless it’s just going to sit in a car that isn’t moving but maybe once a month. It penalized me for every single movement of driving. It’s a scam and it raises up my rates by a ridiculous amount. Now I’m stuck with a premium that doesn’t even make sense. Thanks a lot Progressive. You officially suck. Looking into other auto insurances now.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I always hate to write a bad review but at this point I am exhausted of all options and I’m not sure what else I can do because I have not received the service I had hoped I was paying for monthly with my auto insurance payments. I had a car accident and my car was totaled. My policy states that I shall be provided with a rental car for a maximum of 30 days and up to $40 per day. (Which equals $1200 total.) I paid extra money to add the rental car to my policy. Now I am being harassed by Enterprise to pay $337 by the end of the day. They said I can be arrested for not paying by the end of the day. I have been talked to and treated like a criminal.

As of today, Progressive has only paid $697 towards my rental car. They stopped paying on the 25th. I received the rental on May 8th, 2018. The vehicle I was given is $34 per day. The total balance is $1085. We have not reached 30 days OR $1200 YET. I am worried and afraid for this growing problem! I pay my auto insurance each month because I don’t want to be in trouble. I also pay it because I expect to receive a service of my insurance helping and handling these issues in a timely and professional manner. This has not been what I have experienced. My claims adjuster went on vacation last week without warning. So I have been trying to get answers and help from other claims adjusters but they have not helped. I was told I would get a callback and never did. I asked for a supervisor and never got to speak to one. All while I am being charged daily for this rental car & threatened with the police.

The reason I still need the rental car is because I am still waiting for the lender of my auto loan to receive payment for my loan with the pay off checks that were sent on the 23rd is May. They still have not been received. I even asked my claims adjuster if I could pay the overnight the checks to speed up the process. I was denied. She said, "The check only has to go from Dekalb to a CarMax location which is in very close proximity. Maybe 40 minutes away. Maximum travel time in a car." I am very stressed and disappointed. I thought Progressive was one of the best insurance companies.

This is a major inconvenience for me as I am a single mother. I work very hard and I’m a good person. I just want to get exactly what I paid for and not be lied to or given wrong information. I don’t know why Enterprise is calling me several times per day. It is very ridiculous that I have to be so worried and that my insurance company is not helping me. I feel like I am in this alone. My insurance has not reached out to me at all. They are not following up. They should be taking care of these things. That is why I pay each month. Perhaps I need to stop paying them. Perhaps another insurance company does much better at fulfilling the policy’s promises. I was happy to save when I switched to Progressive but now I am thinking paying a little more each month would have been far worth it to have better service! Shameful!

Original review: June 2, 2018

This company won’t listen to their customers. They claimed I had an accident 2 years ago, when it was my son. He told them what happened and still considers I was the driver, when the car that was involved in the accident is in my Son’s name and I never drive. But even getting his statement, they still claim it against me. So this company can’t keep track who is who in their policies. One department does not know what the other department is doing when you call and try to straighten things out. And sorry but Flo needs to be fired!! They make so much money to run commercials on TV during Primetime, that they really don’t care anymore about their customers to properly pay out when needed. They will pay for the small fender benders, but nothing large!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

Having had negative experiences with previous auto insurance, we were pleasantly surprised at Progressive's professional and kind service after an accident. Progressive has provided the best ever experience for us after an accident. Progressive was immediately there with any questions and concerns we had. Their shop did an excellent job with repairs on our car. Everything was fast and efficient. During the aftermath of an accident, they put us at ease, something other auto insurance companies have not done. We have confidence in Progressive Auto Insurance. We were glad they were there when we needed them.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Progressive always uses shortcuts. They choose the cheapest repair places, which do terrible work. I’ve had to get my car repaired THREE TIMES since they “repaired” it. What’s the point??? They choose the worst tow companies. I’ve been waiting outside for over an hour. It’s not rush hour. It’s not bad weather. Choose an insurance company that values their customers. Smh.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I had two fender benders. The first one: I bumped the lady in front of me at a red light that went green. She didn't move her car and I was going under 5 miles an hour. She insisted I call the cops. I did whatever she wanted and stayed with her, swapped insurance information, and we spoke for a while. She told me she was fine - she didn't really want the cops to come but have called them anyway. She is 66 years old. I asked of course if she is OK and she said she is fine but just having a bad day. She said she has had neck issues forever but she seems fine. She even mentioned that I was a nice person before we left the incident. However, she is a creative problem solver that takes full advantage of the insurance industry. Remember, there was no airbag deployed in either car and absolutely no need for an ambulance.

I had to pay a ticket and appear in traffic court. My premium went UP. She wasn't a nice older lady after all. The insurance company, Progressive, 1.5 years after the incident received a letter from Lyons Gaddis, a local law firm. The letter was detailed and explained that from this incident, I have reduced her quality of life as her neck pain is awful and she and the lawyer are insisting $100K might cover damages. The letter was full of lies. It claimed she hurt her 'knee' in a car wreck 2 years ago and had surgery and suddenly she mentioned that she 'banged her knee' on the dashboard and it hurt days after in the claim/threat written to Progressive. Progressive sent an auto message to me saying that there is a possibility of a pressing charges against me that exceeds my limits.

I spent hours on the phone with the claims adjuster and went over each medical visit and lawyer cost/claim since I knew medical jargon. This lady went to the doctor the next day after the accident. She didn't see her 'usual' doctor but a substitute that said she had a possible swollen cervical spine. Then she went to 11 physical therapy sessions. Then the physical therapist discharged her because she was 80% better with a low pain scale. Then she had a knee MRI and there were no fractures from the results. A month later, she went back to her 'real' doctor that she knew for a long time and the doctor gave her a 'code' and told her to go back to physical therapy. She went back to physical therapy, this time a different office that does physical therapy. She had 15 sessions there and they discharged her as her pain subsided but not 100%.

She was then referred 4 months later to get an MRI on her neck. The diagnosis had to do with a degenerative condition that is called Stenosis. Stenosis often occurs with older age, bad posture and stress. She was told she needed $4000K injections in the facets of her neck for the rest of her life. The amount of the health bills alone without pain and suffering were around $12,000. The big issue was that her neck issues that continued on and on were not caused by a small fender bender. However, the claims adjuster said in her 'claims' records that she only saw 'claims' for her knee and not her neck. I asked that the medical records from the past 5 years must be given to Progressive asap. She has had prior neck issues, possibly surgery from Stenosis. The lawyer, I was told, was not obliged to give full medical details of her client because we were not in litigation.

I asked for a private investigator at this point. The claims adjuster spoke to her supervisor. Then they looked at the Progressive data for cases 'like' this in 'their software' and said no way - absolutely will they not speak against the lawyer who was really pushing for money that would be fraudulent based on the accident.

They said they would get back to me at Progressive about the amount of money they settled with at the end. The claims adjuster said it would be between $19-$25,000 total that the lawyer and the lying lady would be given for something I have not caused. I still don't know the actual amount given to these people.

There was NO guarantee that a lien would be placed on the health insurance of this woman, who knew how to navigate the insurance system and was a life insurance salesperson as well. She knew how she could get money out of Progressive because they roll over and protect the client (me) and shell out tens of thousands of dollars that is not verified or just at all. I requested we go to the next level and ask them to take me to court. Progressive said, "No." I knew I would win because there was no case. Once we saw medical records, my solid assumption would be that we would most likely find plenty of neck injuries prior to this incident. It was as if she was saying that before this incident, her neck was perfect but she told me she has had neck issues for a while Sstenosis).

She also mentioned that she was fighting so hard with the healthcare system to get a wheelchair for her sick son and has been on the phone with insurance and Medicaid companies all day. I felt badly for her because she had to go through this and her son was ill. Basically, I don't know this woman but I do know that she is sneaky and hired a sketchy insurance lawyer that knew all the ropes and how to scare insurance agents to get money. He also knew that he has no obligation in the state of Colorado to put a lien on the health insurance so that the lady must reimburse the health insurance company for the medical costs. Progressive enables double dipping. They are conservative and should be but also should spot a scam when it is obvious that it is a scam.

I think it is fair to pay for medical costs for right after the bump on the fender, the physical therapy right after it and that is it. It is fair to give her that and acknowledge a swollen knee. I don't think she should get nothing. However, it was so minor and Progressive even has tons of photos of MY vehicle and shows NO damage on record. Every day this happens to someone and Progressive hands out money to lawyers and liars that know they can get the money without going to court and disclosing clear evidence that she is lying about her medical history. Every day, millions of dollars are given to scammers, cheaters of the system, groping for money that does not belong to them.

I do think in this case, it is insurance fraud - threatening and asking for up to or even over $100,000 is outrageous. It's absurd and the auto insurance companies and sleazy lawyers are literally wrecking the economy. Progressive knows that they do this yet the consumer is powerless. Absolutely powerless because the auto insurance company would not investigate this claim. There still is an older case (less than 3 years) that they can't close and I fear that this other person is ready to do the same exact thing to get money out of Progressive because they won't investigate and they won't listen to the customer. They listen to the threats, the lawyers who know the loopholes and it has to stop. There are no regulations put on lawyers or health insurance companies to ensure they are reimbursed. That is disgusting.

For regular hard working people, trying to make a living, get their kids to college and not steal from the system, what Progressive has done is disgusting. As a consumer, I would personally never place a claim that was so unjust to gain money. This is corruption. I don't know what else to do about it. I will be looking for auto insurance companies that fight fraudulent claims and threaten the agents. I am outraged because I have been scammed and so has everyone else who is paying Progressive. It's all of our money, not just mine. It affects our whole economic system. Is every insurance company doing this too? Not fighting against outrageous claims? What can be done about these frauds?

I am hoping to get some kind of resolve from this post. Are there ways to report her, get medical records, find out about her health insurance liens and make sure the lawyer is following through with reimbursement to the healthcare company? Truly, there are so many cases like this one. Shouldn't Progressive be investigated for not claiming fraud? Is it really all automated and there is nothing you can do about lying scammers and insurance fraud? Thank you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We were in an accident involving a Progressive Ins. customer. It was their fault, driver told highway patrol he didn't see us and he sideswiped our car damaging the driver's side back to the front. After filing the claim a representative for Progressive called and asked to record our conversation and kept acting as if it was our fault. The driver plainly pulled over on our car. Well after speaking to the rep. 4 days passed and we heard nothing. I called back and she said they were still talking with their investigation dept. I asked what does that mean? She stuttered a sec and said well the driver of the car was not insured under this policy so we may not pay for your claim. She stated that was the SC law. How is it that I am required to have insurance and if I am caught without it I am in trouble.

But because this guy was driving his girlfriend's car with her in it and he wrecks her car they don't have to pay. Those does not seem right. The car had coverage but because her boyfriend was driving they get away with the accident free and it's my problem. Not to mention the highway patrol wrote him for not using his blinker to save his points and lower fine. Progressive is a joke and are bullies trying to make someone think an accident was their fault and not their client's. Seems the law needs to change where if you are driving someone else's vehicle and not covered under their policy then you are fined or liable for the accident. I shouldn't have to pay for underinsured ins. that cost me extra for people like this to drive with NO COVERAGE and pay nothing.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I didn't have a very good experience with Progressive. I dislike the whole company. I was constantly frustrated and annoyed. They are more expensive than any company I called for a quote. My rates increased without cause or notice. None of the agents were willing to explain the increases and they were always rude to me and my spouse. Poor customer service. My payments also took forever to post and caused me to have late fees a few times. Also I didn't care for their service. They weren't very helpful or nice. I switched companies as soon as I could.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was parked at Lowe's, in about the third parking slot from the end of the row were there is a street that connects Walmart's parking lot with Lowe's. I was pulling out slowly. Forward look to my left then look to my right and started driving out of the parking lot towards Lowe's, and looked again to my left. At that time I saw a red truck coming at me fast and I hit my brakes. The Ford truck swerved to try to miss me but ended up hitting my car's front left quarter, causing damage to the entire fender and the hood. He hit me hard enough to move my car sideways a little.

We both got out of our vehicles he told me right off that he can't stay because he had drank a beer. He said this was his second accident in a couple of weeks and gave me his insurance card. He said it was his fault, it's a company truck, and they'll pay for everything. I took a picture of the insurance card with my phone and he took off. I realized then that my car would not start and it was leaking fluid after he left.

I have sent the company pictures of the damage showing way more damage to my vehicle than a 5 mile an hour crash, pictures of the parking lot showing I was parked near the top of the row and there's a street which their client must have pulled in from, and an accurate description of the accident. I also sent the police report I filed. Progressive has denied the claim even though in all my other conversations with the company, all agreed your client was at fault. I would like to know how a drunk barreling through a parking lot is not responsible when he hits a car.

I made a police report and the officer told me that he had to have been going very fast when he hit me based on the damage to my car. This is the second time I've dealt with Progressive on a claim that they would not pay. In both circumstances the first thing Progressive does is try to share responsibility with any other insurance companies you may have. And if they can't share they deny the claim. They do not care if you are not at fault they just don't want to pay claims.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky