3.28/5
Based on 989 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

3502 Progressive Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have sent in document after document in order to waive a fee that would make Progressive my primary insurer for accidents. I've been arguing back and forth for over a month as I have my own insurance which would cover me in the event of an accident. I have had to pay an increase because no one can give me a straight answer and/or use common sense. I will be looking for other insurance providers as soon as my policy is up. I have dealt with EXTREMELY rude customer service reps who have been less than helpful and I am at my limit.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Today I attempted to remove two of my daughters from my driver's policy which were very easy to add to the policy but removing them wasn't as easy, it was downright impossible. The first person I spoke to couldn't speak English well enough so that I could understand her. Once I got my request to her and she understood my goal she informed me that they couldn't do it because they live with me 50% of the time and that I would need to keep them on the policy as excluded drivers. I asked to speak to her supervisor and that's when I was sent to Anna.

Anna was not helpful at all and a bit confrontational to be honest. She kept asking me to be clear in what I was saying. There was no way she didn't understand my request or comments. I now have to pay a small fee to keep them on my policy as excluded drivers. I then checked with State Farm, Geico, and Nationwide on rates and will be switching my policy to Nationwide tomorrow who cut my Progressive rate by 33%.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 17, 2018

Let me please start with a little info about me. I'm retired and drive less than 2200 miles a year and have no tickets and very good credit. My trips consist of grocery store and dr. appointments. I live alone so I don't buy a lot of groceries all at once and prefer to shop every other day-ish for produce. I have regular dr appointments about every 3 months. Other than that, the car sits. So I thought Snapshot would be good for lowering my rates. It is not. I was told by customer service that I went from an A+ to a B+ simply because my trips are not daily/regular and, because I went house hunting last week and put on 200 miles in a week.

Low annual miles or staying out of daily commuter traffic is not rewarded but penalized. Keep in mind I'm still WAY under the 2200 annual mileage. I have one hard brake (Thanks Austin traffic). You'll also get dinged if you have to punch it in traffic to change lanes or just get into the flow. The meager discount will not cover the loss of the signing discount for new policies. This is not the policy for low mileage drivers and is akin to a no-win carnival game.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I was hit by at NO FAULT OF MINES (Determined by Judge). The person that hit me had Progressive insurance. This company does not live up to what they sell online and in TV. They are the worst. Not only did they didn’t want to fix my 2017 vehicle with 9993 miles not a dent or scratch on till their client hits me, the right way, they wanted to cut corners and use junkyard parts.

Then it took them over 6 weeks after accident to start working on my car, meanwhile I’m without a car going to kids school and to and from work with Uber. After week 7 they finally said I can get a “rental”. I go to Enterprise and guess what? They never made reservation for me to pick up, finally Enterprise gives me a car. Another 3-4 weeks go by finally I get my car back. Return rental same day body shop told me car was ready, I get charged over $700 for rental. Progressive refuse to cover it. These people are a joke. Don’t do any business with this company and if anyone that reads this knows what legal process I can take to get them to pay for Uber, towing, wage loss, and rental please let me know.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I had a horrific, heinous experience after being rear-ended by 1 of their clients. Settlement was a nightmare, and I, 100% NO FAULT in the accident, was surprised POST settlement, that settlement did not include some of the medical bills submitted (I was under the understanding that Progressive would cover hospital bills). In a nutshell, I received hospital bills remaining because Progressive decided medical treatment was not sought in a timely fashion. 1 bill they found unworthy of paying was the emergency room where a CAT scan was performed to check for possible internal bleeding. Another issue Progressive had was me waiting 6 weeks to see a chiropractor after being rear-ended.

Never mind to them that I could not lay on the table, could not get up or down easily due to spinal and rib cage pain, nor could I seek have an adjustment. To date, there has been no adjustment -- they said 6 weeks was too long to wait to see a chiropractor. My car accident settled with Progressive and attorney winning and me losing --- funny thing is, I had agreed to the attorney being paid and all medical being paid, if nothing else... Attorney was paid, Progressive sneaked their way around medical bills, and I was left with nothing plus hospital bills -- When one is ill and unable to fight for what is right due to being an innocent victim not in the right frame or state of health due to the car accident, it is and remains a complete shock and sad outcome to me who still suffers from damage due to their client rear-ending me, to have portions of my medical treatment with monies due.

Completely victimized by a dereliction of duty. Since the imbecile settlement took place, and I have no right to anything else, All I can do is warn you, if you are a 100% no fault victim of a damage done to your car and /or your person by a one of Progressive's clients, Please stand your ground, do NOT become a victim of the #metoo (Progressive) movement. In my case, they were cruel, neglectful and completely uncaring in their duty to allow, assist, or provide reimbursement to be treated. One would think I was frivolous in what I asked for --- Be very careful with this company. Watch their commercials and guess how much money goes into their advertising. Wait until you need to go to the emergency room 10 hours after being hit by a holder of Progressive Insurance... and then see just how money they will NOT provide for human cause, dignity and treatment.

Yes, the attorney was a mistake to choose and will receive a review also. Perhaps I was the one incompetent one here --- choosing a wallflower of an attorney who allowed this happen to me, and me, too trusting of a company I assumed was professional and had ethical standards. This is about Progressive here, and as said, all I can do is warn you, and that helps heal me knowing I can let you know how I was mishandled and treated with malfeasance. Because this settled already, does not mean Progressive was not negligent. Keep your friends close and Progressive closer. Don't take your eye, mind or magnifying glass off of Progressive --- even if you have to take a nap, sleep with one eye open which deal with them.

Warning. That is all I can do here. But I gladly stand strong and hope to make a difference in another's treatment by them, if comparable to my situation. Thank you for listening and for allowing me to get some of this very sad experience off my chest. Thank you Consumer Affairs for giving me the opportunity to empower again after such an experience with Progressive Insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 13, 2018

I signed on with Progressive for both my car and homeowner's insurance looking for a cheaper rate than State Farm who I had been with for over 30 years. Big mistake! As many others have stated here, they get you with their rates but don't tell you that it's temporary. In 1 year they raised my car insurance by $96 and my homeowner's over $500! When I called to inquire why the change, they gave me some nonsense about an insurance report. I've made no claims and nothing in my life, i.e., job, income, credit (which is excellent) has changed. I am switching back to State Farm tomorrow. I cannot stress enough, don't be fooled by their low rates like I was, you will regret it. Also, they farm out their homeowners to other companies so Progressive themselves will not assist you with anything regarding your homeowner's policy. (I gave 1 star because it was the lowest rating I was allowed to submit)

Original review: July 12, 2018

I switched back to Liberty Mutual from Progressive and they said my refund check was mailed out on the 5th of July and today is the 12th and still no check. What a lousy way to run a company. I SHOULD have NEVER given Progressive a try. Worst mistake ever!! Stay away from this loser of a company!!!

Original review: July 10, 2018

Please think 5 times before doing any type of commitment with Progressive. 20 years with Progressive it was time to renovate my policy. They raise the yearly by 900 dollars. Call several times to customer service. Did not get help, then they told me is because of hurricane I did not make a claim. Customer service was horrible. They don’t care.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been with Progressive for years now. Made payments on time. I filed a claim because my husband was hit from behind while sitting at the red light and my grandbaby was in the back seat. The impact has caused my car to be a total lost. The lady that has been assigned to our claim has been nothing but rude and don’t explain things over the phone she put it in an email. Meanwhile she makes arrangements for us to get a rental car and says they only pay for this rental for 3 days.

The days ran into the weekend and Monday as she is explaining to me I need to go to one of progressive main office which was an hour and a half away from where I live and sign off as the poa I also needed to turn the car back in as of Monday evening or we could keep the car longer but we had to pay out of pocket after Monday evening. I tried explaining to her that I was not paid for my car yet and that was the only means of transportation I had. Oh and the person that hit my car also has Progressive insurance so I guess she was assigned to his claim too (go figure). Progressive fight a claim against Progressive that I have yet to see.

The lady assigned to our claim stated the total lost in which they would pay was $7200. I still owed $3700 on my car so it was almost paid for. She also stated they were taking the $3700 from that $7200 and then taxes of $525.76 and $25 which she never stated what that was for... I have paid on my car for 4 years almost paid for and the check progressive is cutting is nowhere near the money I paid into the car. I told her to go after the guy in fault for all those fees and she got quite and then stated I had to go after him myself in small claims court. Really?? When y'all are the ones handling our claim and his. Why not pay the car off and still cut the $7200 check and progressive insurance company take him to court. Remember he was at fault clearly stated in the police report. I will never and flat out refuse to tell my family members or give good recommendations to anyone I know about progressive.

Oh and mind you I had surgery on my knee and I had to try sitting in a rental while my husband drove 1 hr and 30 min just to sign off as a poa which only took 5 mins. The lady assigned to the claim DID offer to mail them but that would have taken longer for me to receive them and mind you as of 7/10/18 we have to pay rental fees until progressive insurance finish up the paperwork on their end and cut a check so I can go and purchase another car and start paying on something to drive all over again because when they get done taking out taxes and other fees that check will only cover a cheaper down payment car. Thanks for the total loss of my car and the total loss of the 4 years I put into my car that was hit and covered by your good for nothing insurance??? And again I recommend no one going with Progressive insurance company.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Was in an accident while having comprehensive coverage. I’m not at fault. The adjuster (Montel, San Diego) was verbally abusive. I was trying to get damage assessment done on the car. While I was explaining he said, “I’ve listened to you enough,” “I’m talking,” “You’re interrupting me,” he wouldn’t let me get a single word in or answer my questions. He said that I have to “prove” that the damage to my car “exceeds the deductible” and that otherwise they don’t plan to do anything. They want me to tow it out of pocket because I’m not using their “preferred” shop. They are trying to strongarm me into using their shop, which is illegal in CA.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I got a quote from Progressive, they were cheap so I bought a policy. They decided after the fact that a NOT AT FAULT accident that happened almost 2 years ago with no damage and no payout warranted an increase in my rates of over $100. Now I have to pay that or lose a big chunk of the money I've already paid them. Don't even bother getting a quote from them. They'll give you a low number to get you to sign then raise your rates in the next day or so.

Original review: July 6, 2018

The customer service I received was great, when I did not need anything. I was given a snap-shot device and discount. Unfortunately I drive the car maybe 2 times per month which is not enough to create the data they require, that did not go well for me and nothing they could/would do other than review my policy and confirm nothing has changed. I was later involved in an accident, I received more help from the other company (Farmers) which admitted partial liability. After the initial interview on the accident I heard nothing from the adjuster for over a week, and only after submitting an email requesting an update. Nothing helpful. Cancelled the policy and got a small refund for the remainder of the period. One star is more than they deserve in my case.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My daughter using mothers jeep hit me in garage on her way out of garage. She thought the 6 speed was in reverse it was not. I was in between jeep and my tool box full of tools. Yep. No claims. After not feeling good could not lift my arm above my shoulder I schedule a pain management. He did ultrasound and then required MRI, I was in a lot of pain. Progressive types up "Investigation" letter after about 3-5 days, 1/2 bottle of **. They had my story upside down, once they understood that self employed. They sent attorneys, letters, you name it. They are doing everything possible to not pay claim.

Even to the extent that the referral doctor after MRI called me complete tear rotator cuff and another partial tear plus muscle dying!! They lied. Never once contacted the hospital and or health care professionals. In fact the bills pilling up, and had to sell my SEP 401k just to make the bills and get healthcare. This company should be sanctioned for there, bait and switch customer service, and denying me medical care from one surgeon and told his office under investigation!! They are a complete joke. My attorney is filling suit end of week, system is so wrong.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I got a car and so needed to get an insurance. I called Progressive and they set a trap for me like incentives to persuade me to get this insurance. First month payment was about $51 and the rest about $135. I decided to cancel out that and did it a couple of days before the due date. They charged me about $60 for very irrational reason that you should pay 7% of the whole amount if canceled. But they didn't say anything beforehand. I strongly recommend you not to work with this insurance cause they just try to take money out your pocket somehow.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I recently switched my auto insurance to Progressive Insurance trusting it to be a fair business as described in their TV advertising. They sent me the Snapshot devices to plug in my cars. After reviewing my 1st month performance I found out they are discrediting me for every braking I have to apply to save me from the notorious potholes of my Michigan roads. I tried the safest braking but the snapshot device would still beep, indicating it to be a device especially made for the insurance company to increase its premium. I think the company wants you to hit every pothole to damage your car rather than apply brakes. If I start caring about the beeps, I may end up in multiple accidents every day. This device is such a distraction for drivers and may result in severe accidents.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Progress sucks!!! I just had my car run out of gas and it was my wife and my daughter and my self. They told me my 8 year old daughter couldn't ride in tow truck and has to stay back but they want me and my wife to ride with the tow truck. SMH!! WTF are they thinking!!! Tow truckers don't wanna be liable for her when I have a booster seat for her and everything!! If you have a family don't bring your kids if you need a tow because they will have to stay on side of road!! I am mortified and this makes me ** sick to my stomach!!! I will no longer be with Progressive!!???

Original review: June 29, 2018

I'm a customer at Progressive for my car and I called this morning to pay my bill and find out that next month my bill is going up and I was trying to explain to the customer service lady that I'm not understanding why my bill keep changing and I told her that I'm going to start looking for another insurance and the only answer she has for me was that she can cancel my insurance right now I am very upset what type of customer service is this you should be able to find out what's the problem with the customer and tried to fix it but not tell a customer I can cancel the insurance right now.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Prompt, informative and courteous. Like the commercial, its rates are comparable. In my case I get great service, the cases resolved quickly. The staff walks one through everything. Couldn't get any better.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I just got off the phone with a Progressive insurance agent to inform them that as of July 8, 2018 I will cancel my policy. I told her I have a new insurance policy with another company that shatters their rates! Immediately she wanted to know if I paid them for a year or 6 months... I interrupted her by asking her how much of a refund I would be getting and she said, "I'll answer your question, if you answer mine!" Anyway, she later told me that I am not getting a refund. If I would have cancelled 4 months earlier, then maybe I would have received a refund.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Snapshot is so horrible. It's probably one of the worst "driving" apps I've ever had to use in my entire life. It rarely ever even works right and when in does it acts like a fool. I drive a Kia so it's a pretty easy going car, when I stop at a stoplight my snapshot says "you hit the brakes too hard" so it ruins my score or I'll be going UNDER the speed limit and it'll says that I'm "speeding" so that ruins my score as well. I've never gotten into an accident with Progressive and I just checked my bill this morning and the price raised $300 and I'm already paying $340 which is 3x more than my car payment. Progressive is just an all around bad company to work with and I hope this company goes out of business or something because they definitely don't know how to work successfully and do their job.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Whenever I have to call Progressive I am always on hold for at least 20 minutes before I can talk to someone. So I made the mistake of not paying my bill on time so they cancelled my insurance. So I called to make my payment but the automated system said I need to speak to a representative. I was on hold for 35 minutes before speaking to a live person. Once I explained my situation the representative informed me that they will not re-insure me due to lack of payment and no other options were available to me.

So I was able to get auto insurance thru another company but they needed a loss run report from Progressive. So I call back to Progressive to ask for one. This time I am on hold for 30 minutes and the representative tells me that it takes a few days to get me this report and there is no other way to get it quicker. It is now 5 days since my request for the loss run report and I don't have auto insurance and I can't drive my car due to no insurance. I called back to Progressive and waited another 15 minutes to talk to a representative and they tell me that I just have to wait and there is nothing they can do. I nicely explained that I am out of a vehicle until I can get this report. They say that there is nothing that they can do. I am completely at a loss of what to do.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My son was hit by their insured. My son was going straight down the street and their insured turned left into his car. First their insured lied and said my son rear ended them. Progressive agreed. Then progressive saw the photos and said their insured was wrong and there was no way it was a rear end accident and they assumed 100% liability and had scheduled my son's car to be picked up and reserved him a rental. 2 days later the father of their insured says speed was a factor and they don't want assume 100% liability. The father was not in the car so how does he know. Instead of investigating Progressive agrees with their insured and tells my son to return the rental and they will only assume 80%. Now I have to file a lawsuit against Progressive. This company is so unprofessional.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance's customer service agents are friendly and professional. However, I dumped them because they were overcharging me. They surcharged me for a ticket I got for blocking traffic and I didn't even cause an accident. I'd urge anyone to shop around since most of what you are paying for is advertising.

Original review: June 26, 2018

As a 12 year customer of Progressive I'm fuming! Our rates 6 months ago were 165$ a month. Suddenly 2 months ago it jumped up to 300$. I called and spoke with a woman who got it down to 240$ (more than my car payment). Another insurance company warned me this might happen. Suddenly today I receive a notice saying that they added (without my request) un-insured motorist and now my bill was nearly 300$ again! I called Progressive AGAIN. Progressive added that coverage that I NEVER requested without my knowledge, then added it to my bill! Can they do that? I told them to remove that because I never requested or added that insurance coverage to my plan.

BUT then they told me they added it for me and when I didn't send them a letter denying the coverage they added and I didn't know about, it was added to my bill. THE only way to remove it was for them to spend time sending me a document refusing the extra coverage I never asked for, having it notarized, then sending it back. I asked if they were going to pay me by the hour for the time it would take to run around town to remove coverage I never ordered... he didn't answer, apparently not. So in two months what if they had home coverage to my policy without my knowledge? Do I have to run around another few hours signing their declaration page that I didn't want it. How can insurance companies add things to your policy without your knowledge or request. I hear George Soros owns Progressive. I can see it now.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I was calling about 15 insurance companies about 1 month ago to see if I could have good insurance at a lot more affordable price. I had been with All State and their price was very high. I found Progressive had a very good price for very good coverage of my truck and home over any other insurance company I had contacted. Also, most employees are experts.

Original review: June 24, 2018

This company has great customer service!! They get it done quick and thoroughly. No short cuts. Most insurance company talk down to their customers and keep all correspondences business; they don’t ask, “How are you today”? To stop and ask a customer that question matters because that means we matter. This company puts the customer first.

Original review: June 23, 2018

HORRIBLE!!! My daughter backed into a vehicle yesterday and we filed a claim. Today, I am working from home but it doesn't mean that I am not actually working or can stop something. I am working on, phone calls. I am in the middle of... It's just like work but I'm in my home office. I received an unknown call on my cell while on another call and didn't answer. The unknown number called back two more times never leaving a message. Less than 5 minutes later my 80 year old mother, who doesn't have the best mobility, comes teetering through my office door and hands me her cell phone. It was PROGRESSIVE!!! I'm not even sure how they got her number. She is not on the account nor is her cell phone number listed anywhere on the account.

I have a real issue with this, a huge issue with this. What if they call someone I am estranged from and give information to them? What if the number they call isn't mine and the person that answers passes themselves off as me. How does that work? It's unethical and has caused me to start to investigate other insurance companies. Bottom line is, people work all hours of the day and night and every day of the week. If I don't answer, LEAVE A MESSAGE. That's why we have voicemail and I will call you back to get my claim settled, THAT'S WHAT I PAY INSURANCE FOR!!! You got me this time Progressive but I will get the last laugh as I move my business elsewhere and let the world know of your unethical practices.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Snapshot is a JOKE. Touch your brakes and it goes off. I drive a truck, normal braking sets the darn thing off. If you don't use it, your rates go up 20% but if you do use it, you stand to have your rate go up even more. Snapshot is just an excuse to jump your rates to what everyone else charges. DON’T USE PROGRESSIVE.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Progressive Auto Insurance offers a variety of insurance needs which adds value to existing insurance. Their price is the cheapest I have found and they offer various discounts including longevity ones. Customer service is always professional and willing to help any way they can to accommodate their insureds like what they did with any kind of issue that I have presented over the years. I have stayed with this company over the years because they make claim processing easy and also take care of the claim for me. There isn't much I have to do to deal with my claim except provide details of the incident. Makes the process convenient and the company trustworthy.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Was in an accident by a driver who pulled out in front me. He got the citation and was clearly his fault. No problem right, that's what insurance is for right? Wrong. We both have Progressive insurance and I immediately called in a claim. The initial call went great, they got all the info and since it was a Saturday I knew it would take a few days. I finally had to call 3 days later and they saw in their system the other driver got the citation for reckless driving. My vehicle is undrivable so I expressed this to the rep and I needed in the shop asap and a rental car. Progressive said that they need to get his statement and if I want to file a claim on my policy I would have to pay the deductible and they would reimburse me. Same company, other driver ticketed, what's the problem here.

Progressive wanted me to send pics to get an idea if it needs to be totalled. It has cosmetic damage, no engine damage, however front bumper and headlights are beyond putting a bandaid on it so I can drive without costing me MY deductible. I asked if there was a claims office to get it checked out. There is not. Long story short, it has been 3 weeks and still not able to get it fixed because they have not let me get a quote from a body shop. Progressive will not pay for a rental car and the reason is because they haven't decided if my vehicle needs to be totalled. BS. Maybe $3000 damage. Needs front bumper and 1 headlight assembly needed, that's it.

I have had to do all of the legwork. Get my own prices to fix the damage, call and wait for them to call back, which they never have, I am the one that has to call back and find out what is going on. I get the same answer "Yes I was just going over your claim and was about to call you and"...blah blah blah. It's time to get my lawyer involved. Don't bother with this company. They will drag their feet until you give up on them. Finally they said they will send me a check to get it fixed and not once did they want a quote from a body shop that How do they even know what damage that is unseen needs to be repaired. This is big corporate insurance cheating out hardworking people yet again. I'm done with you Progressive.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky