Progressive Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My daughter was in a costly accident in 2014 and was found at fault. We were dropped from Erie after that and went to Progressive. Since we started with Progressive our insurance rates have almost doubled and they are still charging the accident against the policy even though 36 months has passed. I recently shopped around for a new quote because the latest renewal (even though we do not have any new violations) again was raised almost $50 a month.

I contacted Progressive BEFORE switching to see if there was any way they would lower their rate to what was offered to me by another company. They said that I must not have been honest about the violations because they offer the best rate out there, when the real reason is they are not dropping the accident of over 3 years ago off the policy. When I asked as to the explanation for the rate increase they stated that their expenses went up in the state I'm in so they were passing it on to their customer.

They called yesterday about a claim on a vehicle I sold in May. They would not give me any information. Refused to confirm whether they are still billing my credit card for anything. The claim is from a date after the vehicle was sold. They want information from me but refused to tell me thing. I only wanted a confirmation that they are not charging me for any premium for the policy.

I signed up for the Snap Shot Program in an effort to bring down my insurance rates. The Snap Shot device plugs into the underside of the dashboard and if you accelerate too fast or brake too hard you hear a little beep which means it transmitted that driving behavior to the insurance company. I tried so hard to never hear that beep! I allowed large distances between me and any car in front of me. I didn't speed, and to the best of my ability I braked gently and did not accelerate quickly.

However, I noticed that even on gentle braking I heard the beep. I have hills around my house which requires me to apply the brake a little harder and I would hear the beep. So I called them to complain and they told me to take a different route. They also told me I was doing fine. My letter grade at that time was a 'B". So I often chose a longer route to avoid the hills and beeps. Additionally, about half my driving time I did not drive during rush hours which is another thing they grade you on. I work part-time and often was able to avoid heavy traffic times. All to say my driving greatly improved and I was expecting my rate to go down!

Today I called them because the email I received at the end of my 6 month period did not show how I did. I found out my rates went up $50 a month! I asked why and he said the data showed because it was time of day and my braking! That's crazy. He said my grade dropped from a B to a C- but he couldn't tell me what changed to make my grade drop from a B to a C-. Many times during the 6 months I considered their program was rigged because the beeps would go off even on gentle braking but I gave it a chance even though I kept hearing those beeps. Friends who rode with me even commented and thought it was too sensitive. I was driving like an old lady! Now I'm convinced it was rigged.

Progressive Auto Insurance rigs their Snap Shot program to increase your insurance rates. I was and still am driving better and more carefully than any other time in my life and will continue to do so. And yet my rate still went up! Buyer beware! They will tell you that you will get a discount for signing up but, trust me, at the end of the program you WILL pay more!

I have dealt with Progressive Insurance more than I would want to have anyone deal with this terrible company. This company wants me to pay out of pocket expense for damage that was their clients fault. They want the shop to use aftermarket parts to fix my OEM parts that were damaged. They want to manipulate the body shop to pay their employees the average rate of all body shops. They are less than $400 apart on the estimate and their client is at fault and they want me to pay the difference. They blame the shop for being too high of price. This shop doesn't have a problem with any other insurance other than Progressive. I have had a vehicle fixed by the recommended shop before and they used aftermarket and used parts which gave me nothing but trouble afterward.

A used radiator was installed on my truck and it had 70,000 miles and leaked a month later and on and on. Progressive says they will guarantee the repair if I take it somewhere else. I know this company well enough not to fall for this because when I call them they will do nothing for me. I have taken my car to a reputable shop that has a long history of fixing things right the first time so why would I go anywhere else. I went somewhere else before I found this shop and had nothing but trouble.

I had another claim with their client being at fault and Progressive representative looked at our vehicle and told my wife and myself that we were lying and wasn't even involved in the accident because the sheriff didn't list our vehicle on the accident report but the sheriff talked with my wife and wrote her name down, progressive contacted Sheriff and found out we were involved but don't you think they should do this before they say we were lying. I wouldn't have Progressive Insurance if they were the last insurance company on earth.

I switched to Progressive six months ago when my State Farm rates went way up. My initial policy on both my vehicles was $549 with low deductibles and good coverage overall. I pay my premiums in full for 6 months. I got my renewal notice for the next 6 months, and my premiums went to $845 for both cars! I did an online chat with a Progressive rep who said my initial policy had a discount on it that no longer applies and suggested I raise my deductibles. Really? Apparently their marketing tool is to give you a low rate for the first six months and then raise your premiums. I'm done with Progressive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive?

I used their website for an online quote for my auto and rentals insurance bundle. I was quoted a bundle amount for both at $124.80 a month. I didn't want the policy to start until a couple of days before my current one ended, which was like a couple of weeks. When they ask for payment, I called to ask why they ask to pay up front and the representative said in order to guarantee that quoted rate I had to pay before the start date or risk the rate increase. I explained I didn't want the policy to start until my current one ended in a couple weeks, so he said I could go ahead and cancel my current policy and get a refund for the days not used and start my new policy with Progressive today after payment is received. I thought, since it was much cheaper than my current agency for both auto and rentals and didn't want to miss the quoted rate, I decided to go ahead and pay using my checking account.

Before I did I ask him what if I decided to cancel before the policy starts, he said no problem. My money would be refunded back immediately. A couple minutes later after I made the payment, I received confirmation and instructions to create my online personal account page with all policy information. I created the page and was browsing the policy information when I noticed it didn't have the rentals policy on it, only the auto policy information. I immediately call back and just so happen to get the same representative. I told him I didn't see my rentals policy only the auto, so he looked it up on the computer and said, “You made a payment for the auto insurance only” and I had to pay the rental policy separately. I told him the quote given was for the bundle (auto & rentals) but he assured me it wasn't, so I told him, “Well y'all need to fix your SCAM website, I best stay with my current agency because your rates is double what I'm paying so I need to cancel.”

He canceled their policy and assured me immediately and sent me a confirmation email. This was on a Sunday which transactions don't process on weekends with my bank (Capital One). So on Monday I checked my bank account to make sure and the transaction hadn't processed, I checked on Tuesday, still hadn't processed so I was sure they didn't process it. Then on Wednesday, I get an email that they took my money out my account afterwards. I waited a couple more days because sometimes it does days a couple days. This took place on August 27, 2017, today is September 4, 2017. I called Progressive to ask where the hell is my money they stole from my account after they cancelled and was not suppose to process, she talking about they have to put a 12 day hold on ALL checking account refunds and my refund was due to be processed on September 8th.

Boy was I pissed, I told her I'm filing a consumer complaint if my money was not in my account the end of business day tomorrow, since today is Labor Day Holiday. Also tomorrow I am going to contact my bank and tell them the transaction was refunded and not to be processed. Progressive online quote site is a SCAM, they are a SCAM, they steal your money and hold it hostage, their rates are OUTRAGEOUS! The real reason they're holding my money hostage is due to Hurricane Harvey. I'm sure they have to pay out thousands of dollars of damages. I hope they go bankrupt from Hurricane Harvey and other future natural disasters! I rated customer service one star because HE LIED. I rated value 1 star because their rates are outrageous. I rated coverage 1 star because their website coverage rate was a fraud/scam.

Now my email inbox is full of their cries asking me to return for business. Excuse me Progressive but have you checked your ratings lately? Thumbs down to you and Flo... STAY AWAY FROM THEIR ONLINE QUOTE WEBSITE BECAUSE WHAT YOU SEE ISN'T WHAT YOU GET! Don't trust their phone representatives because, they probably get a bonus for each consumer they scam. Don't give them any money up front because they holds it, probably hoping you die within their 12 day window so they don't have to refund it!

I signed up with Progressive auto insurance over the phone on August 13, 2017. On September 1, 2017 I received a cancellation notice stating that they had sent a request on 8/15. I never received it. I called the number to find out why my policy was being cancelled because I had made the payment and was scheduled for the EFT on 9/13/17. I was told my ex-husband and my 20 year old son, neither of who live at my house were going to be added to my policy because they showed up on a report that they lived at my house at one time. I refused, saying that neither of them live in the house or drive my cars. I was told I needed to give Progressive proof of where they live and submit it. My policy went from $170.00 a month to $599.99!!!

Until they receive their specific form signed and delivered that I am excluding them from my policy Progressive will not remove them and the new rate stands. But Progressive also has NOT sent me this form that they want me to sign! I don't even know where my ex lives! Progressive is indifferent in how they offer a solution. Pay up or cancel. I think I will cancel, but then I am sure they will still charge me the cancellation fee... They lock you in with one rate and decide to demand more from you. If you refuse they still charge you! So they win either way. Beware!!! Do NOT use Progressive. They will get you one way or another.

Have been loyal to Progressive for two years. Income has changed which threw me late for 3 weeks. Intended to pay and catch up, then receive a nice-nasty letter from Progressive "Although your policy canceled, there still a balance due... If you already sent your payment, thank you, but please know that your payment will not reinstate your policy. Failure to pay the amount owed by the due date may result in your referral to a collection agency." Question: Who in their right mind is going to pay for services not rendered? Is this legal. What can be done about that? Pure scam. Progressive wants something for nothing. Times are too hard!

Called about getting my son's spare car seat replaced as it was in an accident and was told they would not cover it due to the accident. Met NHTSA standards for a minor accident and police report said there was no visible damage to car seat. I called my own insurance (NOT Progressive) to see if they would cover the seat. They are willing to however may need something stating the seat will not be covered in writing. So I called Progressive back and asked for a written statement. They said I needed to file a claim with them and wanted a policy number. I don't use Progressive. I don't have a policy number. They stated they only reach out to people if a claim has been filed (so there was one somewhere because person received a call) however they can't find a claim in their system and will not send a denial letter out. Why is a second claim needed when they can't find the first one. It's not gonna cost them anything.

WOW, WOW, & WOW! NOW I KNOW WHY THEY CALL "IT" Progressive, and that is because they seem to give you a good or decent price on your premiums when you start out... THEN THEY "PROGRESSIVELY" INCREASE YOUR PREMIUMS until they want to dump you by jacking-up your rates and then... they are finally Jack-Up & increase 47% from $289.64 to $425.64 from your last 6/months premium coverage, which is an extra $272.00/year more (OR $579.24 TO $851.25/YEAR), and that is for:

1.) The same coverage as before! 2.) For your/My Good drivers Rating Discount (and that is with ~ no tickets & no accidents and for no other good reason than they can get away with it, (stated my Insurance Brokers at Nevin & Witt Insurance here in Chico Ca.) 3.) For your multiple Car Rating Discount (being one driver & with three cars and only being able to drive one car at a time)! 4.) Extreme Low Mileage Drivers Discount (2000/YEAR AND LESS DOCUMENTED). 5.) For being Retired Senior on a FIXED INCOME SSI (that has yet to have or get a reasonable or even decent COST-OF-LIVING raise(s) or increase to cover even 2% of Inflation costs yearly)!

6.) So if you want a "Progressive Car Insurance that will really take care of you and your finances with constant and ongoing Premium Increases to the point in which they did to ME, then give them a... CALL & TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK OF THEIR EXCEPTIONAL RATES AND TOP NOTCH CUSTOMER Service like I had!!! Now you really need to ask, do you want to see what real extortionists looks like then call Progressive Insurance company representatives, now!

I didn't renew because they charge 200% more than any other auto insurance and went with another company. They notified the state of Florida lapse of insurance and my license was suspended. I went to DMV to show proof of insurance and the clerk said “Let me guess you had Progressive Auto Insurance” and I said “Yes how did you know?” The clerk said “We get that often here. Progressive does that a lot to the customers...” Need I say more? Goes to show you how they rob their customers and quick to get your license suspended because you don't want to pay their ridiculous rates!!!

I moved to LA two years ago. Progressive told me that because I could not provide a previous driving record they would charge me more. For my 2006 Honda Civic they charged me 178 dollars per month. I currently pay 168 with them since the city I live in now in LA is different. They told me when I signed up if I could provide my previous driving record and it was good, my rate would be lower. I finally got around to getting my driving record from British Columbia (province in Canada if you are not familiar). I have a perfect driving record. No accidents.

I called Progressive yesterday and told them that I had obtained my driving record. After being on hold twice for a while the representative came back to the phone and said "well we haven't been charging you extra premiums for not providing a driving record before so there is nothing more we can discount." I asked her why I would have been initially told differently when I signed up. She did not have an answer. I then asked the rep why I had friends who used Progressive and paid less for vehicles that were luxury and newer. She then said "yes I see what you are saying. That doesn't make sense. Let me get you over to our customer retention team so we don't lose you." I agreed and was placed on hold.

I waited and waited but no one answered so I hung up. Later I started shopping around for insurance. Every company offered substantially lower amount than what I pay. For fun I decided to go to Progressive and get a quote. I chose a new customer. The rate was $70.60. This was the same middle insurance package that I currently have with them but I pay over double currently. So I wonder, if this company is that deceitful, I can't imagine dealing with them when they have to pay out. For those wondering why I had such a giant hole in my head to pay so much in the first place, well we pay a lot more back home so it seemed reasonable.

I was hit by a Progressive customer. He beat a red light and came right in front of me which damaged my car on the driver side, this was a big bump close to my light. He came out of the car and admitted that it was his fault that he sneeze and press the drive pedal and he was very cooperative in providing his insurance information. The cop was called and cop but never showed up. The guy on the phone said we should exchange insurance informations. I filed a claim with Progressive to get my car fix.They acted like they were listening and I got a call the next day that the guy that hit me is claiming that he did not beat a red light. My claim was denied because it a he say she say claim. Progressive will find a way to not pay for the damages that their customer made. Stay away from Progressive. They are liars.

Like I mentioned above, Progressive Insurance is garbage! Don't be fooled by those creepy Flo commercials! They are terrible! They will take fault in accidents that weren't even your fault just to close claims as fast as they can, they don't care about your rates going up or your record being **, all they care about is squeezing as much money out of you as possible. My rates doubled while being with these creatures, I'm currently with Esurance, Pay Per Mile, and I'm paying about 30% of what those disgusting animals over at Progressive were charging me.

I purchased insurance with Progressive and paid in full for 6 months. Soon after, I received notice asking for further documentation on mine and my husband's residence. (We had recently moved and my husband had not corrected the address on his driver's license.) My husband went to the DMV and "replaced" his license. I sent documentation to Progressive. The first person I spoke to told me that, "His license would not be accepted as proof of residency because the license stated "replaced" instead of "issued"!!! This type of "customer service" continued while I spoke to approx 5 different people, on 5 different occasions, all of which gave me different, conflicting information.

We had received an additional bill from Progressive for almost $200.00 due to the address being incorrect (even though we had paid in full). They asked for another proof of residency. I provided them with an internet bill. To make a long story shorter; It took approx 2 months to get the policy corrected. I finally had to ask for the help of a family member, who works in the field, to get the bill corrected. I spent hours online and on the phone with these people. I am rewriting with another company, even if it cost more.

I recently got into a accident where I'm driving up north and the other driver on my right side attempts to make a left turn to go southbound. Filed my claim and I was first told that I was not found responsible. Next thing I know I'm getting told that it was a shared responsibility! For some reason I was not able to speak to anyone else other than the representative that was handling my claim during that time. But after completing a survey online, a supervisor contacted me and told me every single FALSE information that the representative had wrote in the report and was not said or given by me! Progressive clearly does not care about their customers, because they have those type of people working for them. Don't trust them at all! Currently filling out a report with my state Bureau of Insurance.

From the experiences that are learned... I canceled my policy because I could not pay it and when I canceled I have been charged extra money because I received a discount when I started and in addition to a charge for disconnection of auto payment from my bank account according to information Provided by two different agents of Progressive. So I called to ask that the extra charge for disconnecting my bank account was removed and the agent told me he could not do it. So I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor told me that the information was incorrect and that they were not charging for this service beforehand and that the agent who gave me this information was wrong. I paid to have no problems, strange thing is that two agents of their company saw the same overload. I feel cheated and stolen by this insurance.

I was stopped at a light, and car behind me did not stop and ran into me. She said she was looking for her cell phone and sounded a little off. I called police. They said they don't come out for this unless I was injured. The girl did NOT have a license or registration with her only some ID card and her father's insurance card, the vehicle was her father's car. Progressive is the insurance. They will not pay for my vehicle, which I cannot use my trunk. Progressive says they can't find the girl and the man said he left his vehicle in the driveway. So progressive says unless they find the girl and talk to her they will not help me to fix my car, they told me to get my insurance to fix it. This is not right! This is horrible. The man is lying. The girl had his keys and his insurance card. My insurance will raise my rates and I have a deductible, IT Was NOT my fault. Help.

Customer for 17 yrs. Thursday night car was in an accident. Had to have AAA tow because my policy didn’t cover towing even with full coverage. Since it was a claim against Progressive they said an assessment would have to be completed before work could be done. Wasn’t a big deal initially because they said Friday or Saturday it should get done. Have emailed and called the rep without response Sat, Sun, Monday. The shop it’s at had to give me an update on Progressive’s plan and are saying Progressive said will be doing assessment Tuesday.

It’s Monday afternoon and I have my doubts. I’m 4 states away from home and work and they will have taken what should be considered 4 business days just to pre-process the claim and do the assessment. Anticipate changing insurance though. This is my first insurance claim and find it crazy, over past 17 yrs by my account have paid in 38k in just auto insurances, not including home or any other insurance. Seems crazy that a claim that should be maybe 2k at most is so difficult and time consuming.

A Progressive customer crashed into my Chevy Suburban and Progressive refused to repair my vehicle. Progressive wanted to total loss my vehicle because it was cheaper for them instead of repairing. Being retired, I could not afford to buy another Suburban with what they would give me. Progressive is a terrible customer service company, BEWARE! My insurance company, Allstate, repaired my Suburban for half of what Progressive wanted.

Started account with minimal down payment. 1 week later get renewal papers??? I call and inquire WTF? “No worries,” they explain. “Typo error,” they say. Another week passes! My account needs another $400 to remain active! Why? High risk! Hu??? Wtf!! Ok thieves! I played their game because I had more money that time. 6 months roll by and I renewed with a more reputable company (Farm Bureau). I receive papers saying I owe progressive 1900 hundred! Again WTF?

They claim I renewed with and failed to pay!! I say, “Prove it.” They say don't have to prove I renewed. I have to prove I didn't. I say, “Let's see papers with my signature.” They say no Sig needed... My immediate response was, “Tell your attorneys to get ready to earn their money.” I hired my own attorney... took 3 years but finally had my day!! Settled on steps of Baton Rouge court house!! Received check for 30 thou and signed saying, “I'd never have insurance with Progressive again!!” Really?? Lmfao!! Those peps are a pack of pathetic losers! Nothing but scam artists looking for a payday. Go elsewhere people!! Look into Farm Bureau!!

I have had Progressive auto insurance since 2008 and have been very fortunate to not have any accidents in that time... However, I did add a leased vehicle that I co-signed for a friend that I added to this policy a little over a year ago. The additional car, being a "luxury" vehicle as well as a lease increased my rates a significant amount as I made sure my friend's car was covered as well as it possibly could be. Quite unfortunately I received an email Monday of this week from Progressive regarding a claim I had no idea about- Keep in mind at this point I am barely in contact with given individual as they have faulted on numerous payments that I kept up with as to not affect my credit. Anyway, I contact Progressive, give the claim number, find out the details of this accident that the "friend" did not tell me about (but was on top of telling progressive), they gave me tow info and told me all the next steps of what to do.

Next morning I get the plates from the junkyard, snap a picture of the mileage, respond to a secure email to pass along the information of the lien holder and go about my normal work day. Wednesday I speak to both the medical representative as well as the amazing person handling my claim (Janelle). I had a million questions and concerns about my rates increasing due to this accident, owing Mercedes Benz money, possibly being liable to pay for property damage, etc. Janelle explained to me that because I did add this individual to my policy as the driver of that car this does not affect my insurance rates or make me responsible for his bad decisions. Thursday she called me to let me know she just mailed a check to Mercedes AND ME! Turns out the estimated value of the car was greater than the total amount due.

Look, I wasn't looking for nor was I expecting any sort of a pay out. It doesn't equal the amount this individual owes me, but what it does do is give me a solid sense of what I can expect from my insurance were anything to ever happen to me while driving. Over the top customer service from everyone involved. Also, super bonus, today is Friday- five days since both Progressive and I were notified of this incident- and I was able to drop the jerk off my plan and his car he couldn't afford to drive. Back to my super low rates with a full coverage plan!

Me and my daughter was involved in a car accident which happened on 8/2/17. A driver hit me from behind and totaled my car. We were transferred to the hospital by ambulance. Police came to give me info on as to what happened and just like that the guy didn't have insurance... I called Progressive gave them info and contacted a lawyer (Bad mistake)... Progressive Rental car gave me 3 days just on the strength for a rental and another 5 days until the adjuster called me. They said my car was a total loss... 2016 Kia. I had it for 10 months. They paid it off. I had uninsured motorist. 50,000/25,000 each accident. They paid 15,930 to my lenders which paid it off.

NO money paid to me. I got 0.00 so I have no car, had to quit my job because of no transportation. I work 1hr 30 minutes away. No buses run at 3:30 in the AM where I live to get to work and now I'm facing the fact that I would have to lose my place because I'm not able to pay my rent (Lawyers did nothing to help). I was told to ask a family or friends for help. I did everything right and got stumped in the ground. What happened to that 9,000 or something left over. I should have gotten something back to recover my car. Frustrated.

Few hours ago. I hit sand. Blew cooling hoses. Call Progressive, I need tow. Me ** said, only company pays to the closest Marina. I paid full coverage, including towing assistance 75 miles. I was broke down, about 20 miles from my slip. I’m have 2 children with us. At 11:00 pm. Progressive do not cover the towing to my slip. Please be careful with this company. Monday I going to cancel this policy.

I filled out all the information for a quote and was given an amount for a 6 months policy. I paid the policy in full. 10 days later progressive informs me that my premium is an additional 22%. No reason given. After numerous phone calls and LONG hold times, I was given as a reason that the higher premium was because my credit was locked. I unlocked my credit and after more phone calls, was told that it wasn't because of my credit but because they considered that I was a higher risk, even though I have had no at fault accidents in more than 10 years. In my opinion this was a complete scam & bait & switch by progressive. Offer low rate and then jack it up. As a consumer you have no recourse against their scams. Long hold times on the phone. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had a claim.

Twice my husband has added vehicles to our policy online... Neither time was there any sort of confirmation that because there was a lien holder we needed full coverage. Of course we get in accidents (first one was a few years ago and not our fault, second one was just recently and was) and we find out when we call to file a claim that there is only comprehensive insurance on our vehicles and there is nothing they can do for us. My husband was told they could go through the screens and see what he clicked on to determine where the "error" was made. Now today the agent says "I never said that because we can't do it". I'm sure we're not the first to have this problem happen. Anyone else?

Full disclosure, I have a DUI on my record. Progressive knew about my DUI when they took me on first term with a premium of $156 which wasn't too bad. When the policy renewed, they drafted $518 from my account. They claim they sent me emails and letters - but I never received. I spoke with 4 agents and got 7 different reason why the hike occurred. Finally, I cancelled my policy and found a new provider. I am expecting close to $300 back from prorated time not used, and not only am I NOT getting that money back, but they claim I OWE THEM $50. They're telling me it's because when the policy renewed, they renewed it with the expectation it would go the full term and because it's not, I'm being penalized. They are claiming I signed and agreed to this with my first term with them in which NO ONE explained to me what I was signing. I plan on getting legal advice on this and will not be paying them any more money.

I took my car insurance for 6 months (Honda civic 08 LX), and I made the 3 road side claims that was given to me for six months in span of three months. While making them I spoke to customer care, if there will be any impact if make them, they said it's ok to make claims for 3 times within six months. Then I used them to jump start my battery, Then got mail that policy is being cancelled. When I called customer care, they said I was in review period for first month, as I used 3 claims which were given to me, thought that they wouldn't make much money from me and cancelled my insurance. That's so mean. Worst experience from a company ever in USA. I will go with Geico. :)

About three weeks ago I was in a shopping plaza parking lot and when I came back out my SUV had a huge white scratch mark on the back bumper. There was no one around so I called Progressive to report the accident. The lady took my statement and asked me several questions about me, location and damages. I asked her did I need to call the police to report the accident and she told me no because it happened in a parking lot and there were no witnesses. First mistake! Got a claim number and waited for my claim adjuster to call me.

When she called me I told her the same story I told the first lady, she went over my policy and claimed it wouldn't be any problem moving forward with fixing my vehicle. LIE! An appointment was made for me to bring my vehicle in for an estimate. Well, Dwayne ensure me it wouldn't be any problem getting my vehicle fix, gave me a pamphlet on what my options using their service or picking my own auto shop. I was thinking great after I filled out the SR-13 form. WRONG!

I was told that Brittan the adjuster would follow up with me about the estimate, she never did. I had to keep calling her and leaving messages for her and Dwayne. Well, she finally reached out to me and told me in so many words that Progressive was not going pay the claim because the damages didn't look like a vehicle had hit me. She asked me did I damage my own vehicle by scraping up against a wall or something. Also, she implied that someone maybe had access to my vehicle and I didn't know about it. I was floored. I couldn't believe that she was asking me did I damage my car. I explained over and over what happened, my story never changed. Then she told me that if I filed a claim that Progressive would only pay 12 dollars explaining the damage wasn't extensive enough. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY AM I PAYING INSURANCE and I can't use it when I need it.

As I'm typing this out I'm getting upset all over again. Okay, Brittan told me that she would have to talk with her supervisor and Dwayne to make a final decision. Well, Dwayne called me acting as he was clueless about the whole situation, I'd hurried up and got off the phone with him. Brittan called me the next day telling me that there is no way Progressive can pay the claim because the damage doesn't going along as if a car hit my vehicle. She apologized over and over. I told her to save it and fix my car. I was told that the supervisor and Dwayne review the photos and it's not possible how the accident happened. She told me that Dwayne would follow up with me in a day or two and I told her don't bother! And I told Brittan I will be changing car insurance and thanks for nothing!

A lady hit my father's van in a grocery store parking lot while he was shopping. She was a responsible, honest person who waited for him to return to the car. In my father's presence she called Progressive Insurance agent, described accident, took pictures, gave them my father's name, address, phone number, his insurance information, make, model of his van. Everything possible. They told the lady to give my father the Progressive Insurance phone number and her policy #, and call when he got home to follow-up with a claim for repair shops in his area to contact. She wrote the information on a piece of paper for my father. When my father got home and made the call as instructed and gave the agent the policy number the agent refused to help him because he didn't have the name of the lady who hit him. The nightmare began.

My father has early stages of dementia and could not recall the kind honest lady's name. The agent refused to help him or confirm their client had called and reported the accident only an hour before. My father contacted his personal insurance company, USAA, and they too refused assistance because he had only a policy#, and no name. Supposedly it is a loophole in both companies, one cannot force another company to verify the existence of a policy holder. The kicker is, when I called the hotline number, inserted the policy number, it confirmed JANE ** had an active account, and her payments were current. AGAIN, the agents refused assistance because he had only a policy # and no name. My 85 year old father has to pay $7000 out of pocket for the repairs. An honest kind man who has never missed an insurance payment in his life.

Insurance agents REFUSE to do the right thing and acknowledge the accident was reported. My father took his damaged van to two local Progressive Insurance offices in the Kansas City area, showed the agents the hand written note of their client. They refused to confirm the policy number without a name. Insurance companies are truly a scam, and they will do anything to prevent helping people who in the heat of moment don't get all the information they need to get assistance when making an accident claim.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.
  • Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.
  • Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.
  • Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.
  • 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Compare Auto Insurance