2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.8/5 (1844 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

Top Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient an...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive auto insurance

Progressive is one of America's largest auto insurance companies, serving more than 20 million drivers. The company offers competitive rates in every state and an easy-to-use website with several helpful features and resources.

Progressive auto coverage

Progressive offers basic auto coverage options, which include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It also has some add-on coverage options, such as:

• Roadside assistance: Pays for emergency services like towing or help with a breakdown or flat tire.
  • Custom parts and equipment protection: If your car has special features like custom wheels, this policy protects them.
  • Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being replaced or repaired due to a covered accident.
  • Deductible savings bank: Can help save money during each policy period you don’t make a claim.
  • Ride-share: Protects ride-share drivers. It covers your car even when your commercial policy gaps.

Progressive also offers commercial and classic car coverage, as well as insurance for travel in Mexico.

Progressive auto insurance quotes and costs

Progressive rates are determined by coverage type, location and the driver’s age and driving record. An average Progressive policy for someone with a good driving record is about $192 per month, but it could cost as little as $47 monthly. Progressive also offers many discounts, which can make your policy even more affordable. Here’s a look at some discounts that could apply to you:

• Safe driving
  • Homeowner
  • Online quote
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic payment

Progressive also has some handy comparison tools on its website to help you find the right policy for your budget.

Progressive auto insurance FAQ

Does Progressive offer full coverage car insurance?
Progressive doesn’t advertise full coverage policies, but it does offer liability insurance and several additional and customizable coverages.
Does Progressive have accident forgiveness?
Yes. In most states, Progressive offers accident forgiveness through its loyalty rewards program.
Where is Progressive car insurance available?
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states.
Does Progressive offer rental car coverage?
Yes, Progressive offers rental car coverage while your car is replaced or repaired due to a covered incident.

Is Progressive car insurance good?

Yes, Progressive is a good auto insurance provider that's available nationwide. While it doesn’t have many agents, Progressive offers reasonable rates online, which you can purchase directly via its website. Overall, its competitive rates, handy add-on coverages like gap and rideshare insurance and various rewards and discounts make Progressive a pretty solid auto insurance pick.

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I found out this Agency from a friend. Wow! I was more than impressed with the agent's upbeat and assuring attitude. She knew the different policies and explained each one in plain details, not a lot of jive. She went through each one and noted pros and cons. She found discounts and applied them to afford me the most reasonable quotes for my policy. Instantly I had my documentation that were required and I am a happy camper. Note: Customer service is everything but the company's Service Representatives truly make the difference. 5 star care isn't just given, it's earned. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Signing up for a new policy on my van was incredibly easy and the price was so competitive too! I was able to do it all online without the hassle of talking to a salesperson, which I appreciated. I even was able to download my insurance card and all of the related documents as soon as I signed up. I've been very pleased with Progressive and even after shopping around, found theirs to be the best price of all. I highly recommend them as an insurance company for your automobile.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Progressive is easy to manage your account online but I missed the personal touch. There isn't just one agent that you build a relationship with and that person be your contact for questions or issues. I had my home and car with them and each one increased every year without explanation. When I called the call center, I was given the explanation of the cost of doing business increases. When I asked for help to review my policies, there were no suggestions on how I could save money. The personal touch is what I needed. After many years I looked for and found everything I needed. I left Progressive. Not a bad company, just wasn't what I wanted and needed.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my back always. Customer service is really good. If I need to just get information on something, they are always polite. And for me, I always talk to a live representative and not a foreign country or automation. That is important to me. The app is great to pay my bill every month. Very user friendly.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I love the snapshot service that they offer. It keeps me driving responsibility. If you stop to hard or take a corner too fast or what is considered unsafe, it will make a sound to notify you that it just did a snapshot. I have had my insurance lowered by 20.00 a month. It may not seem like a lot but over a year that's a savings of 240.00, that's 240.00 more that I can spend on date night with my husband, groceries or whatever I would like to spend it on or save it for a rainy day. Customer service reps are knowledgable on products and services. Love the savings.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I would have given 0 stars if possible. Lost my job, got a new one. I needed a 8 day extension to pay my bill, because I didn't have the money. I used my savings to pay rent, buy groceries, and get gas so I could get to and from the new job. They literally said "that's unfortunate, but you do have a due date and it must be paid on that date or your policy will be canceled." I have screenshots for anyone interested. Do NOT use Progressive.

Original review: July 15, 2021

DO NOT USE PROGRESSIVE! I am appalled at the lack of information and replies to my requests for information regarding the claim for my son's car. His car has been in the storage facility for 17 days with only three contacts from the claims adjuster Devin **. The first two were about the storage facility bill seven days ago and the third was a request for us to sign over my son's car to them one day ago.

WHAT - we do not even know what they are doing with his car because she and her boss Edna ** will not return my texts or calls. PLUS....they have not picked up the car yet! WHO in their right mind would go ahead and sign over a car to someone that cannot take one minute to return a text? I am beyond frustrated with the lack of information and even more so with the lack of professionalism! If I acted like this at my job.... well, I would not have a job any longer!

Original review: June 24, 2021

Do not trust your family and autos to PROGRESSIVE! FLO IS A LIAR - DO NOT TRUST HER! Challenger Deep is considered the lowest point on earth. Travel there ... dig down 10 ft, and that is where you will find the scum that run Progressive insurance. This company values only statistics, not people. I just signed up for a policy with Progressive 1 1/2 months ago. I changed my carrier after 10 years with Allstate. Allstate had raised their rates so high I was forced to look elsewhere. 2 weeks after getting my new policy with Progressive, my son's car broke down at a Jiffy Lube (after an oil change). Initially I called Progressive to arrange for a tow, but cancelled it because Jiffy Lube wanted time to inspect the vehicle to determine if they were at fault for the mechanical failure.

After the inspection by Jiffy Lube, I called Progressive again to use my roadside assistance policy for a tow. The tow went quickly and smoothly. I was happy with the service. Fast forward to two weeks later. I received a letter in the mail from Progressive stating that my policy was cancelled because I had made two claims within the first 30 days.??? What??? I cancelled the first tow (a claim). But, according to Progressive, just by calling them and requesting a tow that was in effect a claim (even though no money was spent by either party).

I called Progressive to explain their mistake, but basically met a brick wall called the underwriting dept. They explained to me that because I had the audacity to actually use the policy I had paid for - roadside assistance - twice within the first 30 days of my policy, I was considered a high risk customer and therefore they were exercising their rights within the law to drop my policy. Unbelievable! I have a credit rating of 800+. Have never missed a payment in my life. I am as low of a risk that exists on this planet, but "statistically", according to Progressive, I am not worthy of their product.

Now I am switching carriers yet again (a joyful process to be sure). Progressive is not worthy of your time or money. They invest most of the money they make (and we are talking billions) in making TV commercials. FLO seems like a nice lady on TV. But get her on the phone and she is a cold, calculating snake! Save your time and money and get your insurance with a company that actually cares about, and values the people that make them money.

Original review: June 22, 2021

STAY AWAY! FAR FAR AWAY! I was involved in an accident at 75 mph, forced off the freeway. I managed to keep the car upright and once the police arrived I called Progressive. The temp in AZ was 107 degrees and sitting in a wrecked car on pavement on side of road probably 115 degrees. It took me over 30 minutes on hold to get someone and they transferred me. I was on hold again and they transferred me! I finally got someone to create a claim # and they transferred me. They gave me roadside service (for flat tire, broken window, etc...) I NEED A FRIGGIN TOW! 4 hrs. later still no response from progressive and no one ever called me back.

I called a tow myself and had to pay for it myself outta my pocket, WHAAAT! The tow co. operator said they don't trust progressive for payment so I need to get reimbursed from progressive and pay for it. 4 DAYS later not one person from progressive has called or emailed. Not one word from anyone! Anyone want to guess how the estimate is going to go from here. The customer service is at ZERO level from progressive so I can expect a $2K offer at best for my $10K vehicle which they will total I am thinking. Just waiting until we're done and this policy is cancelled by me for sure!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Had a claim and someone hit my car and they let the other insurance company say that the person was at a stand still so basically i hit myself. They didn't try to help really at all. Had another claim where my car was totaled. Sent pictures of prior damage and they told me something was damaged and wasn't that's why I provided pictures. Hate this company.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information