3.8/5 (1835 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

Top Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My experience has always been great. When I had to call to report that I had been in an accident, their first question was always "Are you OK? have you been hurt?" They had my bac...

Verified

Brian **, is the claims representative that I’m working with! I’m not the insured customer for this company, you’d never know the difference! Brian is SO accommodating, patient an...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Progressive auto insurance

Progressive is one of America's largest auto insurance companies, serving more than 20 million drivers. The company offers competitive rates in every state and an easy-to-use website with several helpful features and resources.

Progressive auto coverage

Progressive offers basic auto coverage options, which include bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, comprehensive, collision and uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It also has some add-on coverage options, such as:

• Roadside assistance: Pays for emergency services like towing or help with a breakdown or flat tire.
  • Custom parts and equipment protection: If your car has special features like custom wheels, this policy protects them.
  • Rental reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being replaced or repaired due to a covered accident.
  • Deductible savings bank: Can help save money during each policy period you don’t make a claim.
  • Ride-share: Protects ride-share drivers. It covers your car even when your commercial policy gaps.

Progressive also offers commercial and classic car coverage, as well as insurance for travel in Mexico.

Progressive auto insurance quotes and costs

Progressive rates are determined by coverage type, location and the driver’s age and driving record. An average Progressive policy for someone with a good driving record is about $192 per month, but it could cost as little as $47 monthly. Progressive also offers many discounts, which can make your policy even more affordable. Here’s a look at some discounts that could apply to you:

• Safe driving
  • Homeowner
  • Online quote
  • Pay in full
  • Automatic payment

Progressive also has some handy comparison tools on its website to help you find the right policy for your budget.

Progressive auto insurance FAQ

Does Progressive offer full coverage car insurance?
Progressive doesn’t advertise full coverage policies, but it does offer liability insurance and several additional and customizable coverages.
Does Progressive have accident forgiveness?
Yes. In most states, Progressive offers accident forgiveness through its loyalty rewards program.
Where is Progressive car insurance available?
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states.
Does Progressive offer rental car coverage?
Yes, Progressive offers rental car coverage while your car is replaced or repaired due to a covered incident.

Is Progressive car insurance good?

Yes, Progressive is a good auto insurance provider that's available nationwide. While it doesn’t have many agents, Progressive offers reasonable rates online, which you can purchase directly via its website. Overall, its competitive rates, handy add-on coverages like gap and rideshare insurance and various rewards and discounts make Progressive a pretty solid auto insurance pick.

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I am trying to get a policy, haven't had any accidents and I'm 37. They refuse money and instead want to take weeks to ask you to verify info??? Info they already have!! Some of us are domestic violence survivors and life is already hard enough but now Progressive wants to make sure I feel even more powerless and can't even get My kids to school!!! Because they want to play games!!?? They couldn't even tell me why. It's random!!?? Change your **, progressive. I'm sick of feeling helpless and here you go triggering desperate people for NO reason. I gave 2 stars only because the customer service rep was nice. Otherwise I'd have left the mandatory one star

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Absolutely the worst experience ever. On 11/15/22 I requested roadside assistance for my car. I've waited over 12 hours for roadside assistance and have been hung up on by your agents multiple times when I have called for an update. (I have their ID numbers too.) Progressive will not be retaining my business as I am going to explore my cancelation options. I'm also going to express my disappointment to Social Media and the Attorney General here in New Jersey.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

They added a driver that didn't live in the home for about one year. I called to discuss and wasted about one hour of my time, ended changing insurance companies. I will would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I cancelled my insurance a month after purchase because I was getting less coverage for literally twice the amount I had paid prior with no new issues on my driving record. I was then charged almost a full month of insurance for the following month because buried 32 pages deep in their fine print... it says so- If this were integrable - they wouldn't have taken such measures to hide it from the consumer...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

The absolute worst insurance company I have ever had. They will take your money and not even care for you. Filed a claim on auto theft and they refused to pay it. The adjuster was not helpful. I tried going to the supervisor but my questions never got answered. I even got ignored on one of the emails I sent. So unprofessional. I wanted the adjuster to be removed from the claim and it's like nobody cares. I got bounced around from person to person without any solutions. They are doing everything not to pay the claim. They even added drivers on my policy without my authorization and charged me $725. I immediately canceled. Will never use them ever again. I suggest you stay away too.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Purchased insurance for my commercial van in late 2021 thru begin of 2022. Beginning, Jimmy (agent of 101 Insurance Co. in Garden Grove, CA) quoted one price for Progressive, I paid amount, then a month later Progressive insurance company charged more money, 2nd month, than amount quoted as beginning in my automatic drawing from my bank account. I called and updated all my paper docs per required by Progressive but still the same. I sent email to Jimmy and stated clearly to cancel the insurance on Mar 2022, now I received debt collection letter for $123.56 for cancellation on 29 May 2022. Agency said they will take care the issue but then said they could not do anything about it. I called Progressive and they said I have to deal with agency. So I had to pay, otherwise they will send debt record to my credit yearly record. This is the scam insurance from beginning to the end. Either the Both agency and Progressive. Stay away those 2 companies.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I've never had an accident and usually switch back and forth between Geico and Progressive based on who will give me a better rate. Just switched back to Progressive last month. Had my first accident last week. Not my fault. My entire passenger side is scraped up and dented. Can't work due to the whiplash. Filed my claim online and expected someone from Progressive to get in touch in a timely manner. Nope. Even their website says the claim rep will get in touch by the next business day to "gather more information and walk you through your next steps". That did not happen.

My claims representative, Danielle **, who is based two states away, never contacted me to get my statement. Never asked how I was doing. Never asked about my injuries. Never sent someone out to look at my car for an estimate on damages. How do they process a claim without the basic information? The other driver had their statement taken by their insurance company (American Family) within an hour after the accident. Their claims rep contacted me two days later for a statement. Progressive never did. Danielle never responded to my email asking what further documentation was needed to get the claim processed.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I was hospitalized or if my vehicle was heavily damaged and could not be driven. So I sent an email to Danielle saying to cancel my claim since she had no intention of helping me. She responded to that immediately! She told me the letter to cancel the claim was in the mail and that was the only contact she ever had with me. Unbelievable. At least since she was so inattentive that I wasn't forced to pay the deductible.

I contacted a lawyer to help me resolve the issue. No one should pay hundreds of dollars for insurance only to have to resort to a lawyer just to get compensated for their loss. Especially when the other driver was at fault. You'd think Progressive would have settled the issue fairly quickly. I then called Progressive to cancel my policy since they have been so useless. The customer service rep made no effort to be friendly, but quickly completed the request. However, upon her explaining the $50 cancellation fee, a recording played in the background that said: "Back to the nursing home you go." I am just floored by the incompetence and unprofessional behavior.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I applied for auto insurance with Progressive while living at college. I gave my apartment address and was issued a policy. Later Progressive cancelled my insurance because they claimed they could not verify my address. This was despite me providing proof at their request. In the end, they decided that my proof was insufficient and cancelled my insurance without notice. I only learned about the cancellation after receiving a notice from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

After speaking with several people at Progressive and requesting to speak with management, I was connected to a person who did not seem to understand basic insurance/contract law. This "manager" declined my request to speak with Customer/Client Relations and insisted that I owed $123 for insurance provided up to the date of cancellation. I was told, however, that if I could show proof of insurance for the period prior to cancellation that Progressive would forgive the amount. I provided proof of insurance as requested.

I did not hear anything, until a collection notice was sent to my old address. I contacted the collection agency and was again told that if I provided proof of insurance my account would be "cleared". I sent proof as requested (nearly 6 months ago). I have not heard anything since. I recently pulled my credit reports and found that Progressive listed an amount owed and my account in collections. In addition to sharing my experience with friends and family, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I am happily insured with GEICO with better coverage and a lower premium.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I purchased auto insurance from Progressive. They seemed very credible and I wanted better coverage from what I had previously. I put extra coverage on my windshield because they can get cracked even if I drive perfectly. I put in a claim this week informing them I needed my glass replaced due to some rocks hitting my windshield from a moving truck. They put the claim in just fine and then informed me there is a deductible. I informed them I should have extra coverage and they informed me that windshield is under comprehensive coverage thus I must pay the comprehensive deductible. I said no, why would I pay extra on my bill every month to have this covered and then pay $500 deductible on top of that when I need it to get fixed.

They basically have me paying for it twice and they are trying to scam us. They use marketing ploys to get you to think you are covering yourself and then making you pay for it again later. Stop scamming people and making us think we are covering our vehicles more and just replace the windshield or give me my money back from your scam.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I submitted a claim against Progressive when one of their clients rear-end my vehicle. It has been 15 days and the representative from Progressive is not assisting me. My car is unsafe to drive, and I have no other way to get my children to school or myself to work. The agent will not authorize a rental. His name is Joseph. My car stalled in an intersection almost causing another wreck. When I told him this, he said, "You should pay for a rental." I did not cause my current situation and they have done nothing to assist. He told me it would be another month before they could look at my vehicle. Good thing I recorded the conversations with him and his supervisor. If something happens to me or my children look out.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information