Progressive Insurance
1.50/5
  • 1 star
Based on 333 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Progressive Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 14, 2018

2650 Progressive Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Three months ago, when our auto insurance rate went up 25%, my husband and I started shopping around for large, reputable companies that could give us equal or better coverage for less money. Progressive Insurance offered to reduce our premium by about a third, and we asked ourselves "Hey, why not?" There was only one catch: we had to install a little device called Snapshot in each car. As new policyholders, Snapshot will remain in our cars for the entire first premium period. We asked ourselves, "Hey, why not?" We're good drivers. What could possibly go wrong?

Installing wasn't difficult. We nicknamed the device "Jiminy Cricket," after the character in 1940 Disney animated feature film Pinocchio who serves as his conscience. Knowing Jiminy was there to improve our driving as well as lower our auto insurance premium, we tried very hard to like him. Unfortunately driving with Jiminy has turned out to be an experience we'd rate between annoying and aggravating, occasionally even dangerous.

Snapshot's primary metric is "hard braking." Originally we thought this meant driving fast and slamming on the brakes to stop, which neither of us do. However, no matter gently we step on the brakes in either car, Jiminy emits a BEEP if there is any firmness in the pressure and the brake goes down all the way. Snapshot seems to prefer stops that have about 100 yards of stopping distance, and assumes drivers always having the luxury of coasting to a stop, with no need to even press the brake down all the way. (Last week I had a situation in which all of the above conditions were applicable, but since there was a car in front of me, I took the added precaution of making sure the brake brought the car to a complete halt. BEEP!) It should be noted that in many places a driver can actually be ticketed for coming to a "rolling stop" rather than a full stop. The difference is subtle, but Snapshot clearly prefers the former to the latter.

In stop and go rush hour traffic, in shopping malls where cars are pulling into and out of spaces without paying attention, and when passing by commercial driveways on busy streets, these idyllic conditions do not usually apply. It's frustrating for a driver to brake for a car cutting them off and to hear "Jiminy" BEEP disapprovingly.

Here's where "Jiminy" can actually be dangerous. As I passed by the driveway of an office building on a major thoroughfare, a car pulled out in front of me. I actually found myself very consciously choosing between braking to avoid an accident and getting a "hard brake" on my Snapshot record. Fortunately my instincts kicked in and I braked--of course Snapshot BEEPed!--but it made me reflect on whether the device, which claims to have as its goal the improvement of my driving, was undermining my self-confidence as a driver by causing me to drive in order to please Snapshot, rather than relying upon my experience as a very safe driver. Snapshot BEEPing also has zero tolerance of braking for pedestrians who step out into traffic.

Here's another situation. When a car going 30 mph is less than 50 feet from a traffic light that changes from green to yellow, there ought to be time to stop rather than running the light. However, Snapshot will not approve of a hard stop, so more and more we are choosing to run through the yellow light instead of braking and setting off a BEEP. Frankly, at this point my husband and I are very sorry we changed insurance companies. Given it to do all over again, it would have been worth the difference in premium to not have the constant intrusion of Snapshot into our driving.

According to Snapshot, I have a B+ Snapshot rating, my husband has a C. (He does the driving whenever we go out together, so he does much more driving than I do, and therefore has more opportunities to incur Snapshot's censure. Prior to submitting this review, I attempted to contact Progressive directly to respond to my concerns. The website led me in circles (customer support says to log in, after logging in and going to customer support I was told I had to log in again...). There is nowhere to send a review like this prior to going public. So I am sharing this here.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I contacted Progressive Insurance because my car was intentionally hit 3 to 5 times and the driver drove off. Thankfully no one was hurt, but my vehicle is a complete loss, I have so many damning document's pictures, videos, and even an interview she made with a private investigator, admitting she hit my car! Meanwhile her vehicle was fixed fraudulently by claiming the damage happened somehow else!!! Progressive apologized on their insurers behalf and let me know they are investigating the claim! It has now been 5 weeks and was informed today by Progressive that my case is closed and there's nothing they can do to help me... It looks like I'm going to have to take this matter in my own hands and sue her civilly! I'm very upset and feel like Progressive Insurance is protecting someone who intentionally hit my car and committed insurance fraud, where do I go from here! Do not use Progressive Insurance Company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

My daughter has had Progressive Insurance for the last 5 plus years and has never had a claim against the insurance. She was in a car accident and Progressive stated her frame was bent on the car and they have totaled her car. She still owed some money on her loan. At first they stated they would pay off the loan and give her a check for the rest of the value of the car. The called about a week later and told her the car was not valued at what it should be because they stated she had over 270,000 miles on her car. They would not be paying off her loan on the car and it would be up to her to pay off the loan. There was no way she had that amount of miles on the car.

She disputed the claim and asked for proof of the mileage on her car. They sent a picture of a speedometer that had over 270,000 miles but it was not her car speedometer. The car was a tan car with a normal speedometer reading. Her car is a black car with a digital speedometer reading. We asked for the location of the car so we could go look at it ourselves and they said they didn't know where the car was located and they would get back to her. A couple of days later someone called from Progressive claiming they had their files mixed up and now they would give her the correct value of her car and that we didn't need to go look at the car. The car payment is still not paid off and now we are in a battle to get that paid off.

Now, the claim against her insurance for the other car is now becoming a nightmare. Progressive is stating that the damage to the other car exceeds the 10,000.00 they will pay. The repairs are far exceeding 10,000 but in another breath they are stating they are totaling the car. We have asked for a itemized detail of the repairs and what they will cost from a reputable auto repair shop. We have also asked where the car is located so that we can investigate ourselves if necessary. We can't get an itemized detailed invoice of the repair nor do we know where the vehicle is located so that we can have our own assessment done. We don't even know how much more the repairs will cost over the 10,000. So far I believe that Progressive is trying to con and deceive a young girl. Insurance fraud at its best. To be continued...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

For the year we were living in Florida while my husband was overseas, we used Progressive. It was our first time living in Florida. Twice a car hit our parked car while we were in a store or restaurant and twice we submitted the claim to cover the costs of fixing the major damages caused by the miserable people who drove off without leaving their information (which, honestly, very few people in this world are good enough to do). I've left a note for slightly bumping someone and leaving no visible marks! But, let's be honest here, people in general are not "good" and would not do this.

Progressive dropped us after this, stating that because Progressive had to pay out for these, we are considered at fault, therefore we are considered high risk. They should have an exemption or have a clause stating these situations would NOT count against the victim (us) and others, most likely many others, this happens to. I will NEVER consider Progressive again and I will recommend others to steer clear of them as well. The woman I spoke to on the phone was equally as terrible and I hope she has a tough night of tossing and turning for continuing to call us at fault.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

This is by far the nastiest insurance company I've ever dealt with. They will fight your claims and do everything not to pay. We've been lied to by the adjusters, management will avoid you and never respond. Good guy takes the case over and lied to again and again. Our RV was damaged in a tropical storm and after the shop gave quotes for repairs Progressive did everything to try and disprove the shops estimate and knowledge of repairs. Guess progressive claims reps do repairs on the side, not.

They will go out of their way to avoid paying a claim and make it always seem like it's all your fault. I wish it could go back 4 years and did my homework on them. I never would've made the switch for the lower rate. Worst mistake ever. Auto claim, well get ready to be more disgusted with that dealing. Was involved in a head on collision which resulted in 30k damages to our truck. They fixed it! 30k in repairs and they fix the truck. Now we are stuck with a truck that we can't ever trade in due to the severe damage it sustained. Went to 3 dealers to trade it in after the repairs and no one take this on trade. All 3 dealers couldn't believe this vehicle was fixed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

They are the worst. What started out as an easy process and low costs, it is now costing me an arm and a leg. Their customer service stinks. Their website is straight out of a boiler room operation. Go with another car insurance. Can't wait until my policy is over. They have schemes and scams to get the prices up before you know what hit you. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

What happened: January 2, 2018, 7:20 am - Blow out on Lebanon Pike, Nashville, TN; pulled into convenience store parking lot. Called Progressive Roadside Assistance: 8 to 9 pm and forward - 10+ phone attempts transferred to deadline. Called Progressive customer service and transferred multiple times into same deadline. After several hours of this contacted another Progressive number and that person told me the lines were dead and gave me a website to put in the roadside assistance request. Put in the request. After another couple hours and no response by text or phone, called Progressive sales department who put in the online request for me again. Waited until 2:45 pm with nothing; no contact at all.

The temperature was 8 to 12 degrees during this entire time. I was low on gas and didn't want my battery to die keeping the car running. I called my repair shop manager and asked if he would let me bill the tow; he did. My sister picked me up and I stayed at her house. Picked up the car next day. I didn't have money to pay for Uber. Did I ever get contacted by roadside assistance? I did... At 9:00 pm that night telling me a tow was on the way; and a followup text asking if it came at 2:00 am next morning.

What was I out of pocket? $99.00 for the tow and $130.72 for my holiday pay. My roadside assistance cost me a total of: $229.72. What did I learn? Progressive told me they do not underwrite the roadside assistance. It is provided by a company named Agero who also provides service for USAA and many other insurance providers. Progressive stated that they offer roadside assistance as a service only; they do not guarantee it at all, and it is Agero's decision to reimburse or not reimburse.

Progressive does not in any way interceded if the service isn't done according to what you think you paid for through Progressive. I think this is misleading since Progressive didn't tell me this when I added it to my policy. I also found out that I could buy the service direct through Agero for $69.00 a year which is cheaper than what I pay Progressive; so said insurance company gets what amounts to a referral fee on top of what Agero charges. If you file for reimbursement it will take at least 2 weeks and possible 2 months to get your money back, that is what a Progressive Supervisor told me. I will commend the Progressive chat CSR who did waive some late fees for me to help with the cost of what I lost. At least one person at the company takes ownership of something.

What will I do? I will cancel the roadside assistance once I get reimbursed and I will get it direct through another roadside provider like AAA. The insurance roadside assistance is a scam that the insurance company makes money off of without guaranteeing or standing behind the product. I am looking at other insurance providers as well as I feel Progressive misled me on the way the roadside assistance works and who is actually in control of it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My daughter got Progressive Insurance and it was supposed to be a reasonable rate. She gave them her debit card number online and must have missed a number in the card. They never called her never contacted her to let her know that it did not go through. They proceeded to cancel her insurance. She called back to get it figured out and they said because she had a lapse in coverage they were going to raise her rate over 100/month. She accepted it and moved on.

This morning she had a payment that 120 higher than what her payment was supposed to be. She called and they said that she did not provide proof of previous insurance and they were raising her rates...WTH. Do these people not have phones to call people? I have been with State Farm for 25 years and I can tell you they will call you in a minute if they need something or something is wrong. Progressive should be investigated for purposely trying to raise rates and steal from consumers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

They raised my rates because someone hit my car! Not my fault...just sitting there in traffic obeying the traffic laws when someone ELSE hit me. Progressive then raised my rates! Then charged me when I canceled my policy! Even though my policy was paid in FULL! They then threatened to hurt my credit if I didn't pay up their false charges!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My granddaughter was trying to check on the price for auto insurance. She filled in all the info they asked including her debit card and checking account info. The site was running so slow and after 20 minutes of waiting for it to process and move, she got frustrated. She removed all her debit card info and checking account info and exited the page. Three hours later she realized this had not been removed but processed. Upon calling a representative at Progressive, it was cancelled. Then she was told the $85 they had taken by debit card would take 14 days to process for return.

Seriously, the money was processed in two hours but 14 days for refund. NO!! These ripoff artists took advantage of a 17 year old and her first time to buy insurance by herself. We have all noted NEVER to call Progressive again if her money isn't returned immediately. Lesson learned!! And FYI, the supervisor she was transferred to only argued that no reports of website trouble had been logged. I knew that was a lie because I watched my granddaughter fill out the survey letting them know of the problem with their website. His only response was to argue with everything she said and was disrespectful doing it. Fortunately, we recorded it for our own benefit. Terrible!!! Run from these crooks!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My daughter got a quote from Progressive Insurance for car insurance. At no time did the agent or Progressive ask for details on any other individuals in the home. She signed up for the policy at $720 for 6 months. After she signed up she had to call and verify other people living in the household. They raised her premiums over $595.00 even though one of these individuals drives her car once every 6 months, if that and the other individual hasn't driven her car in over 2 years. They even charge you $100's to totally exclude people. Make sure the quote includes everyone living in the household. Needless to say, she cancelled the policy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

They are the worst. I have been a customer of Progressive Insurance for 7 years. Today, that I needed Road Side Assistance, I did not get it whatsoever. I initiated my call at 3:00 pm, by 3:52 that I was able to get them and schedule a towing for my car. I received a text message saying ETA for the service will be 5:26 - Fine. I called at 5:00 so to follow up make sure someone is on the way, to my surprise the agent said, "I am sorry. We have recorded the wrong # for you and need to re-schedule with the towing company." What!? Anyway, he said he will do his best to get someone out ASAP. Good, I get another text saying ETA @ 6:18. Waited & waited by 6:00 pm. I called the towing co. to get the status on the driver.

The lady answered goes, "We are very busy and cannot make it out." She added that she called Progressive to let them know. Whether she did or not, who knows, but never got a call from Progressive. I called Progressive and was on hold 40 min, when the rep answered she said, "I cannot populate the information based on the phone # you gave me and need to get your policy #", then she said cannot find anything. "I need your phone #", same she goes. "I am unable to find your record." Are you kidding me!? To make the long story short after she couldn't help I called to speak with a supervisor and explain why I am so frustrated now and so unhappy. Brian, the supervisor goes, "Let me check by calling our Roadside assistance dept", never apologized when I explained what happened.

He said, "Just hold on. Give me 2 min. I'll check and get back with you." I was on hold for 38 min then I gave up... Do you think anyone from Progressive called me back! NO. They are terrible. Clueless... Unprofessional. I have paid for 7 years ON TIME, no claims. All I needed is Roadside Assistance. Part of what I have been paying for and couldn't get that taken care of. It's a shame, Imagine it was a claim. Then what?? I am so disappointing and done with Progressive. STAY AWAY from Progressive, Unreal. Worst Customer Service, worst experience ever... I've attached a picture of their message, this is real complaint, genuine and for the people out there need to stay away from Progressive that is unable to deliver on the covered policy I paid for 7 years time. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I am certainly not surprised that out of 337 reviews Progressive was able to reach as high a rating, as One and half stars!! - a Gold member for 3 years we submitted our first road accident claim which was handled poorly. The adjuster was not even remotely empathetic, nor helpful in the situation, and now it seems that a towing and storage fee that we paid on their advice to alleviate accrued storage, will not be paid as we have no 'receipt' except for a Towing Bill which reflects "PAID" - A vehicle cannot be released from any towing facility without payment - even Progressive should know that!!! How disappointing. My advice to NEW policy seekers - Let the ratings speak for itself!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

This company doesn't listen to others. Just they will tell some stories, always protects criminals and refuses to provide claim. I have filed police complaint that other car with Progressive Insurance (Police provided me) hit my car and run away. When I reached Progressive they told they won't cover on the day. Police confirmed that their (Another car) Insurance is still active on the day of accident and Progressive is claiming that their insurance is disabled at the time of the accident. It doesn't make any sense Hitting somebody's car and disabling the insurance and hiding from Police and Progressive helping them to hide. Progressive is the worst company. And in my life, I won't do mistake of choosing Progressive for my own car. Instead am ready to pay more for other Insurance companies which will treat their Customers with great respect.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I was with Progressive for 5 years. Each year the price would slowly inch up a couple of dollars per month, which did not seem that bad at first. However about the 4th year of doing business with them without any accidents or claims the price went up tremendously. I contact them on several occasion to find out why the price continued to go up and got the standard "too many claims in your area." There was absolutely no quality customer service or satisfaction. In my 5th year my payment increased from 84.00 per month to 130.00 per month. When they asked if I would consider adding my home to the policy I said absolutely not. When I cancelled my insurance and paid the bill in full I later get a 35.00 bill for changing my address. This company has nickel and dimed me for 5 years. I will never used them again. Beware of their small increases they do not value loyal customers and that is bad business.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Couple things about this insurance. First, I signed up to snapshot program, they send me the device and it was worst experience ever. Even slow braking is treated as hard brake and dangerous driving. I was driving like 90 years old, never speeding nor hard breaking. I end up with $89 increase in my insurance cost. 2nd, I got hit and my car was totalled, they paid me $1800, same car with higher mileage is at least $4 500 on websites I searched. 3rd, because of that accident, even though it was not my fault, my insurance cost increased from $504 to $1100/months. Plus $89 increase from snapshot, so now my renewal is gonna cost over $1200 in January (insurance is valid thru 1.26). NOT WORTH TO SPEND TIME WITH THEM. BEEN THEIR CLIENT FOR OVER 4 YEARS AND THEY DO NOT CARE.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This company sent 3 failed contractors to fix a flat. Even the one tow truck driver couldn't tow a front wheel drive car because the back wheel was the flat one. Finally I walked and bought tools to fix and was done in 15 minutes. Then they raised my rates on my covered car because Snapshot wasn't working. $130 more. It is under a car cover for winter idiots!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I had an accident on 12/19, called the claims department on 12/20. Received a call from the adjuster the same day. Had my car at the body shop for repairs the next day. I have nothing but good things to say about Progressive. They provided the best service I have ever received from an insurance company in such a short period of time. They have 5 stars from me,

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Long time Progressive customer carrying full coverage for years. Had hit a deer and vehicle was a total loss. Average selling price for my vehicle was 5-6k. They deducted 3k and argued with me about the condition of my vehicle. I received $2,200. After trying for 3 days to get them to change the value. I was heartbroken. I was a property adjuster, my company would never treat our customers so poorly. When I think of all the premium we paid, I feel so cheated and depressed. Progressive is the worst company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

My family has switched over from Allstate to Progressive and wow what a huge mistake. The biggest issue we have been having is something that is common sense yet Progressive completely lacks. It's common sense to NOTIFY a CLIENT when you SUSPEND their insurance. Not once, not twice but three times!!! How much more idiotic can this company be. JUST NOTIFY ME.

Yesterday I got pulled over because of my insurance being suspended. However we went to Motor Vehicles the day before to register a car. In order to Register a car you need insurance, and we talked to someone from Progressive about registering our vehicle 3 days ago yet they did not think to notify us that our insurance was suspended for one car for 64 days. So now because they did not notify us we have to surrender our license plate for 64 days... Excuse me... We need our car. The amount of headaches I have acquired because of Progressive is substantial and unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was seeking assistance in obtaining a rental vehicle because my vehicle was involved in a accident that possibly rendered a total loss. The customer service rep., who spoke in a very irritated tone, proceeded to aggressively ask me questions about who I was; "Why didn't you contact the other insurance?" She told me I needed to go downtown and get a copy of the police report and that it would take a week for her to get the report. I was ridiculed by her. She made me very angry and upset for thinking I pay these people to help me and yet she would not. I will be seeking other coverage. I will not pay to be disrespected by them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I was stopped at a red traffic light waiting for it to turn green. As I was stopped in traffic my vehicle was struck hard from behind by an operator insured with Progressive. I thought doesn't get any simpler than this as I did nothing wrong and was just stopped at a red traffic light and struck from behind. I filed a claim with Progressive to have my vehicle repaired, which they denied to pay! Outrageous! They told me the person who struck me said his vehicle had a mechanical issue so the cause of the crash is in doubt! I don't know how these people live with themselves! Where do I go from here to have my vehicle fixed! The stress and aggravation is unbearable! I guess I will have to file suit against the operator? Progressive is on the level of the ** IRS Scammers! Beware!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I got a quote for auto insurance from Progressive Sept of 2017; down payment of $115 and 6 payments of $114. In Nov I called in to make a payment and their little automated system told me I needed to pay $180.00 to maintain policy. I called their customer service line and was advised since I did not register for paperless billing, sign a reject of uninsured motorist statement and create an online account I lost discounts that was quoted to me; I question to them was why was I not advised what the policy would be $180 if I did not do all the above.

So although they claim to offer you so many discounts there are conditions for having them; I just want to have coverage and don't want to play a do this, do that game to have coverage; who signs a statement saying they reject uninsured motorist? Isn't that a primary reason folks have insurance. I did try to work with them to restart the policy, however they refused to go back to original quote; needless to say I don't have Progressive anymore. Sorry Flo, you guys are more like "Regressive”! I was able to get a lower policy with another carrier with "uninsured motorist," and way less than first quote with "Regressive”!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Two months ago I contacted Progressive for an auto insurance quote. I have mobile home insurance and my son has motorcycle insurance through Progressive, so I thought I would get a better deal bundling. Wrong! They wanted proof of my son's address because we do not live together. I sent them the rent bill and another bill. Neither was sufficient for them. As I said he already has his motorcycle insurance through them. So, I asked if they could look up that policy for proof of his address and today I received an email telling me they could not use his policy or the rent bill for proof of address. They told me to look elsewhere for insurance. Great for business! I have has my mobile home insurance with them for at least 15 years and they tell me to go elsewhere. I will be going elsewhere for my auto and my mobile home coverage! Beware of Progressive!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have been a Progressive customer for 18 years. I had an accident last year resulting in 3500.00 damages paid to the other driver even though there was no damage to either vehicle. As a result my premiums went up 50% from 170 per month to 290, per month. They claim they have accident forgiveness but that is misleading. Because my wife had a minor accident 2 1/2 years prior that went against me thus raising our premiums. Then this year I bumped into a car backing up in a parking lot causing 1200 damage to the other car and none to mine. They then raised my premiums another $175 per month to $450 per month. Is this how you treat a loyal customer of 18 years? Needless to say, Progressive lost my business.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I was injured in an auto accident in June. I have been in physical therapy and gone through everything. My surgery on my shoulder in mid-December the insurance company seems to think it's okay to cut people's wage loss benefits right around November. Funny how that works out seeing all your wage loss benefits just not showing up especially when you're getting ready to go in for surgery. Not only that we have Christmas coming up and they can't even cut the checks that they're supposed to be cutting.

If there's any reason behind why they feel it's not necessary to pay somebody their wage loss benefits around the holidays so that my kids can go without and I also can't afford prescriptions and fuel to get to and from surgery I will never go through them again and I will tell you what I am telling everyone. I know to steer clear of Progressive Insurance because if you get injured you can count on not getting paid. So now as I sit here and they owe me over three weeks worth of payments my lawyer has been writing emails and calling them for a week now to try to figure out why for 3 weeks I haven't received not one payment. Merry Christmas to my kids. I hope their kids have a great holiday with their fantastic presents to open because my kids get to go without this year while they screw me around and my lawyer around as well. If I could give no stars that will make me happy...

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I hit a deer on 11/20. My car was able to make it 1.5 miles to a family member's home. It was the middle of the night, I had my 1 yr old in the car screaming. We were both physically okay and since there was no shoulder on the winding dark road I did not think it safe to stay there. The whole cooling system is pushed in and the car is not drivable. I filed the claim the same day.

It is now 12/8 and no one from Progressive has been out to even look at my vehicle. They won't tow it to a shop. I cannot keep it where it is because my family member's landlord is complaining. AND THEY HAVE REQUESTED MY CELLPHONE RECORDS! Which I am reluctantly going to supply them out of fear of them denying my claim. They had originally told me that if I got a rental car they would reimburse the cost up to what my policy allows ($900). Well that covered 2 wks of a rental. And now they are saying that while I'm still under investigation they cannot reimburse me. I am a single mom, I work, I depend on a car for life... There is no public transportation where I live. A deer jumped out in front of my car. There is deer hair and blood all up in my grill... Why is this so difficult? It's a $6000 car... It's not like I have a Porsche! Stay away from Progressive! They are liars and cheats!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

On November 1, 2017 we met a dump truck, about 200 yards from leaving the quarry just north of Brooklyn, WI hauling stone chips piled high over the bed of his truck and it was not tarped, and it was a very windy day, with wind speeds of 15-16 mph and gusts of 24 mph from the south easternly direction and the dump truck was traveling north and as our vehicles approached each other, some of the stone chips were blown off the top of his load on his left side and rained down on our left side on our new 2018 Ford F150 truck with only 225 miles that we had picked up just 4 days prior to this incident. The windshield and left side windows are damaged and pitted and the paint is chipped on the front, hood, left side doors, windows, left side of truck bed and the roof of the truck by those stone chips.

There was a vehicle following directly behind us and he saw it happen and his vehicle was damaged also, because he stopped when we stopped to look at all the damage. Progressive, the insurance carried by the dump truck, denied the claim because the dump truck owner said he was hauling rock and that would not blow off, but his weight ticket with his account number, and time, says he was hauling stone chips, so I contacted the supervisor from Progressive to appeal the decision and they sent their adjuster down to estimate the damage. At that time I told the adjuster that Progressive had denied the claim, he said, then why did they send him to look at it. After the adjuster looked over the truck, he found more damage that our local body shop had missed, and then he said the damage was consistent with what I told him about the stone chips raining down on our truck.

He ask me what Progressive thought how it happened and I said that they think that the chips came up off the truck tires. He said that was not likely with the way of the damage. Our local body shop had the damage estimated at $11,780.00. Progressive denied this claim, then I appealed it with the supervisor and after their adjuster was here on November 20, 2017, then Progressive denied the claim again on November 21, 2017. They denied it because they believed their insured when he said he was hauling rock and that could not blow off the top of his bed and he had so many wheels on his truck that it had to have flown up from the road and that is how both trucks were damaged, ours and the truck behind us. When the first claim person that I talked to from the Hudson, Wi. office Deshawn ** said that their insured was hauling rocks, that could not blow off.

Then he said that the driver of the truck disputed the police report, I ask him what there was to dispute, but he would not tell me, then he said that I said that I did not know where the chips came from. Which was I lie, for I did say that they came from the top of his load. Later we found out that there was not a full police report, and the officer could not tell where they come from, because when the officer questioned the driver his load was already unloaded, Far away from where the incident happened. So lie number two. We went so far as to write to the Progressive CEO. That was a joke, they sent it back to the claims dept to investigate, right back to Hudson, Wi. again. The supervisor then called me and said that the load was only half full and that it could not blow off. I told him that we had the weight ticket. He said that maybe that was not his ticket. But that is the trucker's account number.

Then supervisor said that the driver's load was level and could not blow off. What stories they tell to deny a claim. Here is some of the letter that supervisor sent us. From Bryan **, "Assuming this was our truck that passed by, we haven’t received any proof of where the rocks came from. The police were called to the scene, but there wasn’t a police report. We spoke with the responding officer, and he told us that the report wasn’t written because he couldn’t tell if the rocks came out of a truck or off the road. Our customer advised us that the truck wasn’t full to the top when he left the facility, so that’s why he didn’t tarp the truck. It isn’t a state statute that the truck needs to be tarped, and if it was, the officer would have cited our driver." There is a sign posted as the dump trucks leave the quarry "That all loads must be tarped". This is why I am writing this complaint. Because their claims department lie and deny!!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I started my policy with Progressive Insurance August 2017 and it's being from one stressful month to the other. I changed my coverage in October to a cheaper one and the agent I spoke with DID not effect that change. I was still being charged for the premium coverage I had before. I made a call to the customer service agent named Michael on 12/08/17 at 7.49 am Texas time for 18 minutes and he was so rude, he shouted at me all through the conversation, asked to keep quiet while he talk, all these because I made a complaint that my charges was overboard and it shouldn't be.

I have never felt so terrible, getting service from Progressive is not something I will ask anyone to do and also Progressive need to give training to their agents regarding customer service. This agent DID not listen to my opinion. All he did was shout at me like he was doing me a favor. I wish I got his full name so I can get his stupid ** fired. This is not acceptable. I am paying for the service am getting. Not free service. That agent is a disgrace to customer service roles worldwide and he is supposed to be a representative of your company but I can tell you he is total disgrace.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

We were involved with an accident on I95 where an 18 wheeler dropped the driveshaft out of the truck at 75 mph. We ended up with a great deal of expenses. Progressive was often unresponsive and eventually delayed us, and offered us well under our actual out of pocket expenses. The overall experience was frustrating and without doubt confirmed my belief that they will do anything possible to pay the least amount, without regard to what is fair. It was all about the money. We didn't expect a lot, but it was downright insulting. Felt like a game and customer service was non-existent. I will never purchase insurance from them and hope we are never involved in any accident, especially one that has Progressive Insurance.

Progressive expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Progressive Insurance Company Information

Progressive
www.progressive.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use