Progressive Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A young man ran through red light hitting me and fleeing the scene of the accident. I got out of my vehicle and followed on foot. His car damaged come to a stop. I first pursued a claim with Farmers with no result... Then sought help through my company Progressive which I am still pursuing and wondering if my age has been a factor as I have gotten no resolution. HELP, FLO!!! Like you claim to. THANKS!!

Nov 4 I had stopped at a red light on 380 in Denton TX, when this guy hit me from behind, badly denting hatch on Honda CRV. The police were not called because neither of us were hurt. I contacted his insurance, Progressive the next day. The agent "investigated" until Nov 29, when she called and sent a letter denying my claim. No adjuster ever came out. No one asked me what happened or asked for pictures of damage. Nor did I get an answer to why it was rejected. I am livid. I have turned the incident over to my insurance, State Farm. Apparently, insurance carriers can just decide they don't want to pay out.

Tried to change the coverage on my motorcycle policy and it took me 4 representatives and 55 minutes because of the incompetent staff at Progressive don't know the difference between a motorcycle, ATV and snowmobile. Idiots!

Dem **! I have been insured through Progressive for 22 years. 22 years! In that amount of time I never had a claim until recently. Now over the past year my family has been involved in 2 accidents and I had a boo boo and dented my truck. The 2 accidents we were involved in were not our fault, we were the victims and the other insurance companies paid for the damages and fixed our vehicles. I jack knifed my trailer on my truck and put a dent in my back quarter panel. I've got insurance, I pay over $400 a month on all my vehicles, I want it fixed. The overall cost was $700. I paid my deductible of $500 and got it fixed. When the time comes for my insurance to renew they refuse to renew my policy because I am an "at risk" driver. Are you kidding me?

I went back and looked at the amount of money I have paid over 22 years. I have given those crooked ass bastards over $30,000. $30,000! $30,000! I make a claim that they have to pay $200 and they drop me because I am an "at risk" driver. I swear if I had that rude supervisor standing in front of me I would knock hers and Flo's rotten ass teeth in. Progressive is a joke! I know they think its just business, but before the day was done my brothers and sisters who were all insured through Progressive, had all left Progressive! I hope Obama takes over Progressive and makes them goes bankrupt!

Had my truck stolen and Progressive was my insurance company. The lady dealing with my claim made fun of me saying that the wheels or tires (I forget which ones) on her truck cost more than my wheels and tires. She was extremely rude and demeaning. They gave me about 1/3 of what my truck was worth. At that time I was a college student working as a waiter and going to school. Trying to make a better life for myself. Since then I have avoided this company with the exception of motorcycle insurance, because they were much cheaper than others that I could find. I got burned once when I needed them and I have done my reasonable best to avoid them since. This bad experience was in 2000 or so and it has stuck with me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive?

I went through the woman who hit me insurance company which happened to be Progressive. When I went to pick up my car I saw the adjuster walking around. She never came up to me or asked if I had any questions or what I thought about my car or if it was up to my standards once repaired. It was very rude. Not to mention I got my car back still mechanically unsound and had to get a rental car all over again instead of just keeping the one I had which had still not been picked up from the auto collision place, all because the adjuster never showed her face and did a disappearing act. I had to go back and drop my truck off yet again, deal with the rude owner of the auto body place and do the whole Enterprise rental car yet again. Extremely dissatisfied. This is why I have GEICO as my insurance and have had nothing but great experiences when they were needed.

My son who just received his license and a car bought insurance through Progressive with the agreement to pay $300. They deducted the agreed amount for the first month, but the second month they took $600 out of his bank!! He overdrew on his account and was not told of this increase. When we called they said because we opted for electronic communication only which usually is a green version for billing, but I guess they assume they can do what they want just by sending monthly statement emails saying the average message "please view your current bill". They say that is enough permission for them to raise the agreed price another $300 more than the agreed amount. Then they only refunded us partial of the money and told us that if we disputed it with the bank that they would not refund the money. Unbelievable!!

Daughter was hit by a Progressive client. The lady did not want to call the police stating she had no damage to her vehicle other than the damage she received from an accident she had a week prior. Daughter called police but they would not come due to it happening in Walmart lot. Long story short, Progressive client claims it was my daughter's fault. there was a witness that can confirm my daughter was not at fault and did confirm this when she was contacted by Progressive however they will not cover the damage to daughter's car. At this point we contact State Farm our ins. company and let them deal with this fly by night company. I knew we would be in for a long battle when my daughter gave us the other driver’s insurance info. Do not get insurance over the internet. Go reputable company that you can actually talk to an agent.

I wanted to get a rental for my customer. We are a rental company and the representative wants to send my customer to Enterprise. The law in Oregon doesn't allow the representative to take someone's customer and send it to a different company. Megan wasn't able to repeat. She wanted to forced my customer to go somewhere else. And she hang up on me.

Bought a car end of July 2016. Insured with Progressive. Signed up for auto-pay, so I figure everything is fine. On October 6, I receive my new chip card from my credit union, and forgetting I was signed up using my bank account, I went to the website to change my payment method. There I see that they cancelled me on September 28. I immediately called and they said they had sent me something requesting additional proof of residence, which I never received. Mind you, I received everything else they sent me - policy and three different declarations pages due to previous changes in method of payment. I asked why I was not notified of the impending cancellation - no letter, no email - NOTHING. I later found out that they had "determined", through the credit reporting agency, that I really lived at an address I have not lived at in 15 years. THAT is where they sent the cancellation letter.

I was told that I could write a new policy with a local agent--with a lapse for the period since they cancelled me - and at a higher rate. I was livid, but asked for a local agent. They gave me one, and I called immediately. I was told that they were very busy as it was Friday and lots of people come to write new policies on Fridays. They would call me back later. Insurance agencies here are closed all weekend, so Monday I called back and they said they'd return my call in a little while. Now, all this time, I can't drive because I was cancelled - and decided to try and write the new policy because I was sure that since I had no claim in the interim that I would be reinstated or be written a new policy with no lapse. I used to work for an insurance regulating agency and this was common practice. Every day I call, and they never called me back.

Wednesday, I borrowed a car and went there, wrote a new policy - with the lapse - they said they couldn't do it without - gave my routing number - and was ready to sign - and then, when I was informed that I would have to pay a fine to the DMV, I got a little upset - assuring them it was not them I was angry with, and the agent I was speaking to says, "Maybe you should go somewhere else"!!! Then I said, "Well, maybe I should" - and the owner says, "She's been with you for 40 minutes and this is how you treat her?" Needless to say, I left. I was angry.

In the car, I called Progressive and asked for a supervisor. He was very rude and basically told me I was wrong. Went home, called GEICO and bought a policy with them. They email AND text in the case of a problem. Then, I made a complaint to the Department of Insurance. Two weeks later, I get a call from them telling me I was right and they had acted counter to the regulations and would be required to reinstate the policy to show no lapse. I no longer owe a fine to the DMV - and feel vindicated. If a company does something and you're sure they're wrong, DO SOMETHING. ANYONE WITH A LEGIT PROBLEM - CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE IN YOUR STATE. It could save you a small claims case and a lot of grief...

While I had no problems with this company, the misery began when it was time for renewing my policy. I received a renewal invoice for $43 monthly payment, including $196 unexplained charge. I called the company, spoke with Judy, asked her to explain the $196 charge. She couldn't. After going back and forth for about 3 months with no solution and receiving 2 additional 'late payment' notices referencing the invoice above, the invoice was sent to collections. That company placed this item in my credit file as a 'collection'. To date, I have not been able to solve this issue. I still don't know what the $196 charge is for, the debt collector won't remove the item from my credit. My only choice: pay it to get it removed from my file. Not a company I recommend or will do business with ever again.

I was involved in an accident on October 21, 2016 with one of their customers. I had to file the report because their customer didn't. After 48 hours I was contacted by the Rep. and after that day everything went south. I never heard from anyone, I called daily and sent emails. Had my estimate done and still never heard from anyone and the repair shop couldn't even get an answer from them while I was waiting. I had to call the General contact line just to speak to someone. It wasn't until November 4th that the Rep. finally answered my call only to tell me that my claim was transferred to another Rep. on November 2nd. I left her messages to get no call back and kept calling until once again I had to call the general number to speak to a Rep and guess who answered? My supposed Claim Rep.

She stated she thought my car was at the shop. How when no one had ever called me. They don't feel like they do anything wrong and expect "I'm sorry" to fix everything. They are terrible!!! My car just got to the shop on November 15th. And I had to initiate that. People insured by them should have Progressive written across their cars so other drivers would know to stay clear because you drive at your own risk around them because Progressive doesn't like to take responsibility and don't know how to treat their customers.

My Dad owned a body shop for over 30 years so I KNOW the importance of never driving a FOOT without car insurance. I had a single vehicle, no one hurt, nothing messed up wreck. Indiana requires proof of insurance... which APPARENTLY Progressive was SUPPOSED to have provided. Long story short... they didn't. That was THREE YEARS AGO and I am STILL paying for it. My insurance is over 40% higher. Thanks to them not sending the state of Indiana a GD piece of PAPER. Don't waste your time with this company. Their agents have no idea what they are doing and don't care if they cost YOU hundreds of dollars and YEARS of grief over something you did NOTHING wrong.

We have been insured by Progressive boat insurance for almost three years, and this summer in late August we hit something in open water damaging our outdrive rendering it inoperable. Although we have paid our premiums in full and on time faithfully Progressive refused to pay any damages amounting to $4000.00 even though they admitted that we did have a collision. They say it was normal wear and tear and they will not cover any of the damage. Really this company is nothing short of a rip off and a joke. Steer clear unless you enjoy throwing money away for nothing!!!

Wife got into a accident and Progressive claimed they canceled our policy but try to keep and cash payment. They gave no warning of cancellation and wouldn't return calls, had to go to them and threaten them with a lawsuit before they would return my money. This is and always has been how they do business. I hate Flo with a passion. I wish someone would kill her so I don't have to see those stupid commercials anymore.

Progressive Insurance is terrible. I was in an accident on Oct 15, 2016. Due to someone side swiping me. Their fault. I call my insurance company the day after, explain what happened (No issue). They ask me a few questions. They said they'll get a hold of the other party, find fault, request police report (No issue). Days pass, no call. So I called my agent, no answer, left a message, no call back. Days pass, no call back, call my agent, left message, no call back. OKAY? Starting to feel ignored.

Finally after two weeks, my agent called me back, came off as very rude and made it seem like I'm bothering her. Kept interrupting me, was extremely unprofessional. She stated she can have an insurance adjuster come out within days. Set up a date, NO ONE came. So I called my agent, no answer. This goes on for a month. FINALLY my adjuster comes out. Looks at my car and says "okay 'i'll have you a check in the mail, $900." I had my car looked at and a body shop quoted me $1,500. I tell my adjuster this and he ignores me and basically leaves. So I'm still dealing with this. PROGRESSIVE is HORRIBLE. I'm dropping them and going to STATE FARM.

In Feb of 2016 I took my car to the Progressive Service Center in Midvale, UT and made 3 claims. Progressive CHOSE Service King Collision Repair Centers in Draper, UT as the body shop. My bumper was one of the parts replaced. The bumper was refurbished, and the paperwork stated there is a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the work.

I was driving from Salt Lake City to Cedar City. This was the first time since the repair was done that I had taken my car out on the open road. Before this trip, I was driving my car for work in the city. Within 1 hr of my drive I heard a noise coming from the rear of my car, I looked into my rearview mirror and saw my entire bumper fly up into the air off of my car to the left. It was very fortunate there was no one behind me. I was unable to retrieve my bumper due to safety concerns, locating the bumper, and size of the bumper. I pulled over at the next exit which. I immediately called my current insurance agent (I had left Progressive after the repair) and informed them of what happened. I was advised to contact Progressive and take my car in as soon as possible. I then contacted Progressive and made an appointment. I also took pictures of my car to document what had happened.

When I went in to my appointment, 3 employees came out to take pictures and look at my car. I told them what had happened. They stated several times that I must have hit something and the situation was not their fault. I had no other damage to my car whatsoever. This is also documented in the pictures. I told them that I did not hit anything and there would be visible damage if I had. I offered to have them look underneath my car to show that nothing had been hit but they declined to look further.

I was contacted the next day by Progressive and was informed again that they believed I had hit something and Progressive would not be able to help me in any way. They also mentioned I had had the car for 4 months since the repair, I reminded him that the work from the body shop they chose was a lifetime warranty. As a customer I felt that I was being called a liar in a sense and was extremely dissatisfied with the customer service I received. I filed a formal complaint with the Utah Insurance Commission. Progressive needs to show their customers that they stand by their work. My next step is to take legal action. This company is horrible.

I signed up for Progressive car insurance on-line. After clicking ok to release the funds, I then realized it was a 6 month plan, and very expensive. So I called and told them that I wanted to cancel the insurance. I called within 10 minutes of signing up. They were going to issue me a credit. I called today because it has been 8 days. The person I spoke to on the phone said that they processed the credit on 11-1. It must be the bank's fault as to why it hasn't shown up in my account yet. So I called the bank and had to file a dispute for the charge. I think it is very strange that they submitted a credit and I never received the money. I think it was their mistake. I think I'll call tomorrow and ask for a supervisor. The guy I spoke to had an attitude. He told me this happens all the time with the banks. I've never had this problem before. Stay clear of Progressive. They claim to save you money, but they were $200 more than my current insurance.

Hit from behind by drunk driver insured by Progressive Insurance. My truck was totaled. Other car totaled. Very serious accident with serious injuries. Progressive claimed that they were liable for all property damages. They refuse to pay for damages because they say they have not been able to contact all involved in accident. Won't pay for my truck damages and won't release salvage rights to my truck. MY only choice is to take them to small claims court. For months all I got from them was excuses and "We're sorry". This has cost me a lot of money and heartache and was surprised at all the bad reviews they have received on the Internet. I thought they were a company with a good reputation.

We have been with Progressive for 8 years. Years ago I hit a deer with my vehicle & they put the cheapest parts on it they could. A few weeks ago I was the victim of a hit & run at my work (my car was parked & someone hit it). I drive a 2015 vehicle with less than 18,000 miles & they wanted to put a 2013 door on it & have the the collision company use the cheapest paint possible. After this incident I have shopped around & found a comparable policy for a little more than $10 a month which I will be changing to. The extra money is worth it for my ease of mind... just wonder how many other vehicles are patched together so cheap?

I've had Progressive for many years now and I've always been very happy with them. But I have noticed the monthly payments are different nearly every month. I cannot budget my monthly pays because I never know where this month's payment will land. My payment is normally 164, but on some months it goes as high as 194.00!! Why can't they get their monthly payment plan under control??

My policy cancelled. I received a letter stating I could reinstate my policy. I paid the amount to reinstate. I was then billed for another payment due. I paid that amount and added a new car to my policy. I then received another bill of an astronomical amount. I called into customer service. I was advised I was double billed due to the fact I allowed my policy to cancel. I was told the amount I paid to reinstate was just the amount to stay in good standing with my state MVD department to keep my driving record clean.

I was also told by the supervisor Judy, Progressive invoice by balance owed- not by dates of coverage. I requested to speak with the billing department and I was told there is no billing department everything is operated by customer service. I have now as we speak been on hold and on the phone with Progressive for 0121:38 min and still holding. The supervisor has not came back to the phone to check on me at all. I don't even know if she's still there. Horrible company!

While sitting still my vehicle was struck by Progressives client. The police report clearly shows their client is at fault and is refusing to pay due to the point of impact. I am actively looking at filing a lawsuit against them and anyone else that has been wronged by them should get legal help or it will only get worse. Please if you are interested in getting your claims possibly resolved in a class action lawsuit contact Motley Rice attorneys and maybe we can right a wrong.

I have been a Progressive customer for 10 years, clean record. My son wrecked my 1990 jeep, I have full coverage. Progressive is offering a ridiculous amount to replace, doesn't even come close to market value. I cannot replace my vehicle for the amount they are offering. I cannot find 1 jeep across the United States, I can prove this to them and they are still offering me this LOW BALL PRICE. Progressive cannot show me a jeep that they are getting their market value from. But they cannot accept the proof I am showing them. DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY, THEY HAVE NO CUSTOMER RELATIONS. 10 YEARS I HAVE BEEN THEM.

I am not a Progressive member nor will I ever have insurance with them. I was rear ended on my way home from work. The car insurance is valid but they are not paying the claim because someone else was driving. The driver let this person use their vehicle with their knowledge. The person that was driving left the scene after giving the insurance information. This is now a criminal case and Progressive will not give me any information to help we collect from the owner of the vehicle. I cannot file with my insurance because the amount to repair is under my $1000 deductible. They do not give answers and basically say things like "sorry nothing we can do". DO NOT OBTAIN INSURANCE From This company. They are crooks! If someone hits you and they have Progressive please get a police report!

Saturday night my parked car was struck by a drunk driver. Progressive insures that driver. Called to report the claim and get rental authorized with the police report in my hand showing the driver "obviously drunk". Nope. They can't authorize it. An Adjuster will call me by 5 tomorrow. Any call? Nope. So I called them. No one will provide any help. I just need a rental car until they can figure this out. Progressive claims service sucks.

I have been a loyal customers for almost 3 years and they did not give a coverage for 2 days because of their mistake. I had a auto pay with them but I told them I will be late with my payments that month so the representative said they will send out a statement and once I make that payment, the auto pay will be back again, I did not receive anything so I called them and they said that my policy was expired as of that day for non-payment. When I asked them if they can cover for those 2 days because it was weekend and bank was closed, they refused. I was very upset because I did not miss one payment with them all those years and yet they refuse to cover my policy.

I purchased this policy because I thought they were a good company to be insured by. I called to cancel my policy because the monthly bills were getting out of control (not within my budget) and when I called to cancel Melissa (the representative) told me she would push the date 10 days for me until I found another insurance. "How nice is this company!" (I WAS thinking on coming back after 6 months). She conveniently did NOT explain that I had to PAY OUT OF POCKET for the days that she pushed out my bill which was due 10/31 (the day I called) and I called again and spoke with Lora to cancel 11/01 (the very next day) and she stated I have a balance of $62.58 just for that single day! Like seriously?! Imagine if I would of waited the 10 days?!

This company is one of the worst companies because they try to rip you off for every little thing. Like for example I was transferred to speak with Shante (not helpful at all, not sure why I was transferred to her because I asked to speak with a manager). She said that I would have to pay that amount for that ONE (1) day they were covering me for. I told her to remove me from receiving future emails and she replied with that it would increase the bill by $0.14¢!!! (EVERY LITTLE THING.) It's ridiculous, they obviously don't care about customer satisfaction but to see how to get the most money. TERRIBLE COMPANY! I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Have a clean driving record, 0 accidents or claims. Nevertheless the premium is being raise every 6 months by 50 to 200. Representative was unable to answer why the premium was raised. There are better insurance companies out there, switching to Geico...

I purchased a policy for 1 year expecting to cancel it within a month during my transition from an apartment to a home. I called and spoke with the representative who stated my policy would be cancelled. Then 10 months later, I received notice that my policy would be up for renewal and my current policy was still active! I went through the online cancelling steps. Then 2 months later, I received notice that my renewal hadn't been paid. I called to see why my policy hadn't cancelled and they had "no record of me cancelling" neither by phone or online. Ridiculous. I had an awful experience with this company and would NOT recommend purchasing a policy through Progressive.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.
  • Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a driver's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.
  • Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.
  • Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.
  • 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

Compare Auto Insurance