Fast Free Quotes

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5
Based on 2,619 ratings submitted in the last year

Progressive Insurance offers several different vehicle and property insurance products. Progressive is a verified carrier of InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Contact InsuraMatch to view quotes from Progressive and others, in one easy phone call.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive is one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and has competitive rates. Positive reviews cite a fast claims process and low rates as reasons for sticking with the company. Progressive offers a range of discounts, especially for students, safe drivers and customers who pay automatically.

PROS

• Discounts for most drivers
  • Direct model means lower rates
  • Fast claims process
  • Add-ons like roadside assistance and gap insurance
  • Exceptional customer service

CONS

• Discounts not available in all states
  • No brick and mortar stores

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I love this insurance company so far. We haven't had any accidents so I can't rate them there. I love the option online to change your bill due date for the next 3 months. It's not always there, so you can't just do it continuously but it's helped us out a couple times. Call customer service is very easy, most people are helpful and polite.

I did have an issue with one person. I accidentally made a duplicate payment to my account and when I called they said the duplicate payment hadn't posted to my account yet, and to call back when it does and they would take care of it. When I called back a different person said they couldn't refund payments, and she said something about a 15 day hold before they could do anything. And she said I should call my bank and hope they could fix it. I didn't like that answer so I called right back and got on the phone with someone else. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and when she came back she told me she was able to refund it.

So that other person, who had an attitude for no reason, just made all that up. She didn't try to ask anyone, just told me "too bad" pretty much. I don't understand people like that. If you have an issue like that with customer service, call back and talk to at least one other person. Every company has at least one person like that, so it didn't affect my rating. I've dealt with enough jerks in customer service that I knew to call back immediately.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

On October 21, 2019 I ran into a deer. I have been a Platinum Customer for Progressive and never expected to run into any situation. I pick up the phone in my insurance card and from that very moment I was assisted as a very valued Customer. They suggested the auto body shop in Kansas City, MO and at that shop they had a courtesy driver to take me from work into the car rental company and back to the auto body shop. The lady that attended my case at the auto body shop did everything to make me feel valued. The most stressful event I have ever experienced became a learning experience on how business oriented people/employees/employers care for their Customer. Progressive I will eternally be grateful and thankful.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been with Progressive since 2015. I have never had an accident. My agent is non-existent because I have since moved far from the area where I first purchased the insurance. I have tried numerous times to change my agent, in hope of finding a local agent. I have been wanting to have my policy evaluated for better discounts. I believe I am not getting the discounts I am entitled to and I can't get my agent to return a call to me to help me out. When I want to inquire about anything it is easier for me to simply call the corporate office. Why then must I be stuck with an agent that is 3 hours away from me? It makes no sense to me. I have no use for this agent and he is no longer able to help me with my concerns.

Original review: April 15, 2019

A big shout-out to my agent William ** of “Insurance Services 3, Inc.” I recently moved to the US and was finding it rather costly and a pain to acquire car insurance from a reputable company. A couple of companies outright told me that I was uninsurable because I had no driving history in the US. I find Mr. ** to be a well-informed agent and a patient person who listens well. Thanks a million, and keep up the good work and thank you too progressive for not telling me I was uninsurable. Laura, A satisfied customer.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My insurance reps at Progressive have been so amazing to me after the accident. I could have filed with the other person's insurance but I didn’t feel comfortable because I felt like they wouldn’t have been an advocate for me. Thankfully in the end the other person's insurance took liability after they read the police report explaining that the other person caused the accident because she failed to yield and there was nothing I could have done to stop it. But Progressive waived my deductible instead of me having to pay and then get reimbursed by the other insurance, they just waived it completely. They made getting a rental car a breeze and have been in contact with me almost every day since the accident. They also worked with the collision center fixing my car and it will be complete sometime next week instead of in 3 weeks. It’s been a horrible week but I’m so thankful for them advocating for me. They really made an awful situation a little less awful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Got myself a Full collision no Fault Platinum insurance from Progressive. I drove my son to school in the morning. Parked the car half a block away from the school. Took him inside. When I came back out I see that on 2 sides in the back of my car there is damage. I called progressive. Made a claim and took to the shop they recommended. The shop owner on Monday tells me the adjuster will come inspect the car and call you in 2/3 days and he will you know what's next.

Adjuster from progressive never calls me, instead that same week on Thursday evening I get a voicemail from the body shop owner, "Car is done. Come pick it up. It's done." Friday I go there to pick up only to find out that adjuster approved one side of my car to be fixed and refused the other. Shop owner puts me on the phone with the adjuster. Adjuster just starts lying and lying, and treats me like garbage. I call progressive and they keep switching me to the adjuster's supervisor from the same office. I get tossed around with no help. Horrible company, Horrible experience. Do NOT GET PROGRESSIVE. RUN FROM THEM.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Was in a accident by someone who is insured by progressive ins. Was told by adjuster my truck would be put back to it’s original shape or better. I called the body shop and was told they quoted me all refurbished parts. It’s a 70,000 dollar truck and it did not have refurbished parts before I got hit. Step up to the plate progressive and do what u say you are going to do instead of telling people one thing and doing another. They made the process seem easy but be aware of your parts lists and the parts they try to use to fix your vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I have been with progressive since 2018, insuring my home, auto and motorcycle. I recently added a 2nd vehicle and did the change via mobile app, later to discover that the higher deductible I chose for the newly added vehicle also applied to my existing vehicle, which I did not want. I went on desktop to change my deductible to what it originally was and after I was given a quote for the new rate which was an increase of $3.42 monthly but they cannot make the changes until I call and speak with a live agent.

In doing so, I was told there would be a 5 day waiting period and a $10 dollar increase. I couldn't understand why when I attempted to do this online It showed only a $3.42 increase and when I asked why were the quotes different the agent could not give me an answer. I asked why was was there a 5 day wait for my deductible to be put back to what it always was and was told that was the law but when it was increase from $500-1000, there was no waiting period. It was done immediately. For every question I asked the agent, all her replies started off with, "well probably".... This was not very reassuring and I should probably look for new insurance company that can give definite answers because probably and maybe is not acceptable!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

They will overcharge you, don't go with Progressive!! If you are in need of auto insurance, and if is that is the last option, do not go with Progressive, they will make your life even worse!!!!!!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

When we canceled our policy in disgust, they charged us the next month anyway. That charge caused me to have a overdraft fee they wouldn’t cover. Then 3 days later charged us again. They just don’t care.

Not sure about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Progressive Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Insurance is one of the country's largest auto insurance companies and has been offering auto insurance since 1937. The company is headquartered just outside of Cleveland, OH.

• Name your price: Progressive has a unique program for auto insurance that allows people to enter their budget and find a plan that matches closest with what they can afford.

• Snapshot program: The company offers a device called Snapshot, which plugs into a car and reports stats about a motorist's driving habits. This can help ensure that a driver is paying the right amount for their insurance.

• Progressive app: Progressive has an app that allows its customers to access their information from their mobile devices, in case they need it while they are away from a PC.

• Loyalty rewards: Progressive's Loyalty Rewards Program gives customers points for loyalty, and it offers benefits like Accident Forgiveness.

• 24-hour customer service: Representatives of Progressive are available 24 hours a day to help customers.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers who just purchased a car, and drivers who don't do much driving but own a car.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor