Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options
Cons
  • Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 9%
  • 10%
  • 5%
  • 4%
  • 71%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Reviewed June 5, 2024

DO NOT go through this company!!. Please save yourself the headache and time! Full of lies when it’s time to “fix” the situation. They give you the run around non stop, very rude and nasty!. PLEASE I’m trying to save you the trouble. Find another company!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed June 3, 2024

I thought Progressive was trustworthy and great, until they tried to sneakily add my daughter, that does not have a license to my policy. When I called them about it, their underwriting department person was very rude to me and insisted that they did NOT just add her. I told him that they did, because they did NOT speak to me before doing this change. My payment jumped from $150 a month to over $300 per month! I then spoke to customer service via chat, and she insisted that my daughter, without a license, is required to be on the policy, because she lives with me! I immediately cancelled my policy and they were more than happy to lose me as a customer. Not a care and not a hesitation.

Reviewed June 3, 2024

I called in to cancel a policy as the policy holder was non-compliant on payments and I was basically paying for their monthly fees. On the contract it even says that the authorized credit card holder has the right to cancel the policy by calling a rep, sending a letter, or accessing the policy online. So I tried calling in to cancel the policy. I talked to Kiarra, who consulted with their manager Ingrid.

Kiarra told me that I could not talk to her manager when I asked, and that they had already talked to them for me. They told me that they could not help me any further. And that even after consulting their manager while putting me on hold, that there was nothing they could do. They told me it was a "privacy issue". I asked them which location (call center) they were working from, and they didn't give a clear answer. I asked them their name, and their manager's name. Then I said thank you and hung up. I think the CSR agent was just protecting their bottom line, and afraid their numbers would dip. I do not believe they assisted me to their full potential, or that they even made an effort to reconnect me to a manager.

Verified purchase

Reviewed June 2, 2024

Progressive billed me for coverage I never ordered. When I caught them on it they refused to write me a credit for the money they owed me. They had no explanation for why they decided to bill me for coverage as a ride share driver. The agents on the phone have zero leeway to help you and they never ever keep their promises.

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed June 2, 2024

Was an Emerald loyalty member, Progressive did not handle my weather claim in a timely manner. Had 4 different agents texting me but never available. Had to make another claim as months passed without fixing the issue then they bullied me saying it was a collision. It was not. They covered the second claim then charged me 150 extra on renewal even though you are supposed to get accident forgiveness. Very bad business and difficult to get help.

Customer Service

Reviewed May 31, 2024

I tried to call and get a quote. What a big waste of time, I was on hold for 10 minutes before I'm told they have to transfer me, she assured me I wouldn't be on hold again and yet I was for another 5 min before I hung up. I'm trying to give you my business and you transfer me to several people and make me wait on hold for over 15 min??! No thank you!

George increased rating by 4 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Progressive Auto Insurance, George increased their star rating on June 4, 2024.

Updated review: June 4, 2024

The bodywork on the car was good.

Original Review: May 30, 2024

Progressive ripped me off. They are dishonest. Their client HIT ME! I was told they would completely cover the rental car, they set it up and I used the rental car until the car their client hit (My car) was finished. I turned the rental car in and was charged over $500! They are liars and stole from me. They are dishonest, don’t trust them. Never Progressive!

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed May 29, 2024

I was hit by a guy with no driver’s license in Houston, TX. He only had a Mexican passport and was driving a car insured by Progressive Insurance. A state trooper told me that 60% of drivers in Houston DO NOT have a DL!! It was a hit and run accident. Progressive denied the claim! My uninsured motorist coverage did not apply because the car he was driving was insured and belonged to his wife. Lots of "in FLO of $$, but no outFLO" to pay my claim. I use my car as a billboard letting everybody the company sucks! Beware of illegal drivers in Houston.

Reviewed May 28, 2024

Absolute nightmare of a company. I will never ever ever work with them again. They charged me nearly $600 for one month of insurance, unbeknownst to me, for ONE car with NO tickets or violations on my license. This was ten times the amount that I paid prior. They increased my premium by hundreds of dollars because they said I “didn’t sign the uninsured motorist forms”, which is a lie. On top of this, they never notified me and even had the audacity to tell me they didn’t have an email on file to notify me, which is a load of crap since I’ve always gotten emails from them for the SIX YEARS I’ve had their insurance. They only told me all this when I tried to cancel, and then all of a sudden I was being charged almost $600 for less than one month. They dragged on my cancellation process for weeks, getting themselves more money, and I talked to several supervisors who were unwilling to do anything about it. AWFUL customer service. Absolute nightmare of a company.

Claims HandlingPrice

Reviewed May 23, 2024

Don't take Progressive auto insurance, when you have a claim, they want to give you wherever they want, it's too expensive and it's not a Quality responsibility auto insurance, I have been using this auto insurance 1 year

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed May 21, 2024

PLEASE STAY WAY. Terrible experience with Progressive. I recently had the unfortunate experience of dealing with progressive after my car was involved in an accident in FEBRUARY 22. I cannot stress enough how disappointed and frustrated I am with their handling of the situation. First and foremost, their estimate of my car as a TOTAL LOSS was completely inaccurate. Not only did they undervalue my vehicle, but they also failed to consider the possibility of REPAIR. This left me in a difficult position, as I now have a CAR THAT I AM UNABLE TO USE BUT STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR.

To make matters worse, despite having POSSESSION OF MY CAR, progressive refuses to cover the cost of a replacement vehicle or provide any form of temporary transportation. This has left me stranded and without a means of transportation, forcing me to rely on costly alternatives. Even more infuriating is the fact that I am still expected to make MONTHLY PAYMENTS for a car that is essentially useless BECAUSE THEY HAVE MY CAR. It is simply unacceptable for progressive to expect me to continue paying for a vehicle that I am unable to use due to their own mishandling of the situation.

I have repeatedly reached out to their customer service team “NICOLE **”, only to be met with vague responses and empty promises. It is clear that customer satisfaction is not a priority for progressive. One of the most concerning incidents occurred when my car was at the body shop. Progressive was PRESSURING me to sign the papers to release the car, claiming that there was a fee they needed to pay if the car remained there. I decide to help them, I reluctantly signed the papers. However, as soon as I signed, progressive suddenly stopped responding to my inquiries and concerns.

Since then, I have been LEFT TO DEAL with the consequences of their actions. Despite HAVING POSSESSION OF MY CAR, progressive has failed to provide ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION or reimbursement for the loss I have incurred. I am now left in a situation where I have to CONTINUE MAKING MONTHLY PAYMENTS TO THE BANK for a car that I cannot use.

The accident occurred when another driver rear-ended my car. I IMMEDIATELY reported the incident to the police, who arrived at the scene and conducted a thorough investigation. The police report CLEARLY states that the other driver was at fault for the collision and HE ALSO HAS PROGRESSIVE. However, progressive entered false information into their system, claiming that the accident was my fault.

As a result of this unjust attribution, I have suffered the LOSS OF FOUR POINTS FROM MY DRIVER'S LICENSE. These points not only affect my driving record but also have potential consequences on my insurance premiums. It is disheartening to see the negative impact this false claim has had on my reputation as a responsible driver.

In conclusion, my experience with progressive has been nothing short of a NIGHTMARE. Their inaccurate assessment of my car as a total loss, refusal to provide a replacement vehicle or temporary transportation, and expectation of continued payments for a useless car have left me feeling cheated and taken advantage of. I STRONGLY CAUTION ANYONE CONSIDERING their services to THINK TWICE before entrusting Progressive with their insurance needs.

Claims Handling

Reviewed May 20, 2024

Absolute worst claim service I've ever seen. Ask most body shops if you don't believe me. 90% will not work with Progressive (I call them regressive). 3 months later still no repair settlement and won't honor any estimates. Adjusters come and pick your entire vehicle apart, for blemishes to degrade their estimate. Absolutely bonkers. I cannot believe this place is even allowed to operate. I'll guarantee that 90% of 'happy customer' reviews are fake.

Reviewed May 15, 2024

Horrible company to deal with, billing issues. Left them over billing issues, came back and they did it again, shame on me I guess but I am taking my home, auto, RV and motorcycle insurance somewhere else…..Anywhere else.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingStaff

Reviewed May 8, 2024

From January till Now (May) I have dealt with the most vile, and rude customer service members that I have ever dealt with to date. Calling for some information, clarification, or documents is like you are calling them on their personal time off on the weekends when they are spending with their family, and not on a Tuesday at 1pm. Every call, either with the person in charge of my claim (Kierra), or just calling into customer service and getting a random rep has been met with animosity right off the bat, male and female CS alike. Which is very confusing, because I do not approach them in such a way. Really considering leaving Progressive because I should not have to fight to get some information.

Reviewed May 6, 2024

Canceled my son's auto insurance policy a few days before it was to expire due to him relocating out of state - and was charged $50 for a cancelation fee - even though the policy was paid up in full. Was Never told if it would have been left to expire in 3 days - there would be No charge. Hope the $50 was worth it Progressive - Canceling my other policies with you and never using again! Cancelation FEE was never stated!!

Reviewed May 5, 2024

This is not the insurance company you want. They lie to you and threaten you. They added my roommate to my policy without consent (nowhere in the policy does it state they charge you if you don't report who you live with). Upon calling they made me feel like a criminal and said they would report me. I filled out an exclusion, my rates will go up $75 for doing this, otherwise I will have to pay $3000 for my roommate.

I can't remove her from my policy, unless I verify, she doesn't share the same address (Or I move). Extortion! They claim there is a "chance she might drive my car, or ride in it. Therefore, she needs to be on my policy. I am glad to see I am not the only one this has happened to. But I am determined that this gets investigated! They claim Nevada law lets them do this! I never complained about rate hikes after 6 months, or the extra charge when I stopped using snapshot. But this? This is unfair practices. They truly do not care about you as a person. I was hung up and told that I was wrong, and I could do nothing. I have reported to the state Insurance board, BBB and News investigators.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed May 2, 2024

#progressiveinsurance #autoinsurance #automotive❗️❗️SCAM ALERT (SNAPSHOT PROGRAMS): Stay Away from Auto Insurance SNAPSHOT Programs with your Auto Insurance Carrier. Apparently with your car is lost, even in a NO FAULT Accident your Premium will GO UP, when you have to remove your lost car, because of the SnapShot Program Discount. Lost my Car to a Hit and Run Driver, had to junk the Car, remove it from my Insurance because it's no longer drivable, Insurance Premium goes up because of the Snapshot Program no longer applying to the Lost Car, even if you're Not at Fault. (Progressive Insurance) They don't bother to tell you this upfront.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingPriceStaff

Reviewed May 2, 2024

I received another increase for no reason, so I called the customer support. The people on the other side of the phone have no idea what they're talking about, I was told that my rates went up due to: inflation, labor cost, and claims in my area. I said that CPI was 3% for the last 12 months and I'm fine with this increase, but where is 27% coming from, representative couldn't tell. Progressive net profit was $3.8 BILLION in 2023, a 456.41% increase from 2022. So please don't buy into: additional claims or inflation nonsense, it's simply a lie. Extremely disappointed in a public company that ripping people off. And their average employee is not making a buck either.

Reviewed April 29, 2024

I got my commercial policy with Progressive and after one month my monthly payment keeps increase. Progressive took advantage of my desperate and dire need for insurance for my family business which is our lifeline. I feel deceived by the company and wouldn’t recommend them to my worst enemy.

Reviewed April 28, 2024

THIS COMPANY WILL PULL MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION!! NEVER ENROLL IN THIER AUTO BILLING! And when you try to call to have the payment they pulled corrected, they will keep telling you that they cannot do anything because not enough time has passed for them to be able to correct it. Then they will load you up with fees and charges for the missed payments, when they are the ones trying to fraudulently pull the money to begin with!

The representatives will mock you, call you a liar (Rep named Janette) and the condescending Supervisor (Named Constance) will do nothing but argue with you more that they did not screw up and try to convince you that some mysterious outside entity must have hacked my auto account and ordered a false payment that -conveniently- will go into their companies pockets. I had a policy with them for 10+ YEARS and this is the first and last time there has been an issue. I have never received customer service this bad in my entire life- and it was all to cover up their own fraud!

Reviewed April 28, 2024

Raised my rate only 2 months after getting my policy from $394 to $474, no accidents, no violations, no tickets, no warning just because there was an increase in accidents in the area I happen to have signed up for Progressive insurance. It takes me 4 hrs at work to make up that increase for something I have no control over! You are messing with hardworking people's lives, there should be laws against this money grab!! I trusted Flo but not no Mo

Reviewed April 24, 2024

Do not use Progressive. They lie and then they do not admit it when you catch them. All they care about is making money off their policyholders. I caught them in a lie and now they just do not care. I would like to give them ZERO STARS.

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed April 24, 2024

Ok, this is complicated. First I would like to say that I do not appreciate the deceptive practices that can be committed by this company. Some context, I rent an apartment suite above a garage at a single family home. My household includes just me. My landlord's son just obtained his driver's license. Progressive, without asking or communicating, placed her son onto my insurance policy, which prompted a dispute from me. This dispute elevated. Progressive explained that all members in the household were required to be on my policy. I debated this. After not only insisting, and actually placing him on my policy I provide them with proof of insurance. Being that they were trying to charge me insurance, and his mother insurance company was already insuring him, this creates a deceptive practice of double dipping.

I spoke with high level individuals in the State Insurance Commission who assured me that this was not legal if I provided proof of insurance. The insurance people then said, even with proof of insurance, they would continue to charge me an extra $7.99 fee for him as an unlisted driver living at the same address. I continued to dispute this and the State insurance commission agreed with me. There was NO legal basis for this fee. Progressive claimed they had a special agreement with the commission to do so, however the commission disagreed and stated unequivocally that they have no special agreements with any individual company that allows this and had never heard of anything like this occurring before.

Fast forward, they credited me back the almost $300/ month they were charging me for my landlord's son but in the renewal policy, I moved to the Emerald loyalty tier having been a long term customer, yet my bill increased from $97/month to $114/month. After speaking with a representative at progressive they explained that a risk assessment was conducted and required an additional $8.00 added to my agreement. This is very clearly a fraudulent way to continue charging me the $7.99 fee that the state commission stated was not legal to charge. Extremely deceptive and I will even say a fraudulent business practice.

I inquired with several other insurance companies, and each one stated they had never heard of such a thing occurring where drivers were forced onto someone’s policy because they shared the same address, let alone hiding non-permissible charges as a form of retaliation for the legal dispute. I am in the process now of filing a formal complaint, as recommended by the state insurance commission. The commission was perplexed by this situation. It could have happened to many other, but perhaps I am the only one to speak up and push back on it only to find that I am correct and the company is being deceptive. My experience with Progressive was great all the way up until this situation and since has been quite poor.

Claudia

Hey Joshua!
    This is my exact same issue! It just happened on Thursday to me. They kept telling me it was legal for them to do this! I also wrote to the State Insurance board. Also copied the policy , no where doe it state they are allowed to charge me automatically, or raise my rates- only that I am supposed to notify them. Now i have a roommate on my policy but excluded. The refuse to remove her. They said if I didn't return the " exclusion" to them in time, they would charge me $3k. I also reported them to the Local News Investigative reporting, BBB (where there are Thousands of complaints) They argued with me over the phone and said they would report me (not sure to who?) they hung up on me when I got upset and started crying. They told me anyone who MAY have access to my car needs to be on my policy, as if I am going to just let anyone drive my car! 9 I asked them if I should also put my dog on my policy since she rides in my car daily. Something needs to be done about these unfair practices! It feels like extortion!

Reviewed April 23, 2024

Guys, I don’t recommend anyone to take out insurance in this company. First that the value changes every month. There were months that I had to call 10x to find out what happened. Second I tried to change my windshield and my coverage didn’t cover and ok, I upgraded the police to try again because it’s my first insurance. I’ve never done that. You believe they called me and started threatening that they would have an investigation and stuff. No problem, I paid out of my pocket. I did it wrong. Yes!

The first time a man called me and talked to me with a horrible arrogance and said that I chose the cheapest so that I would be content with the broken glass and the best that is recording. And now on 04/23 I receive an email saying that they are not going to renew the policy and that I would have to go to another company. Guys, they’re terrible. The threats and the way these people treat you are terrible. When I have any questions, they are always good. But now if you need your insurance they treat you like garbage! I don’t recommend it.

Reviewed April 22, 2024

Do not trust this insurance company to help. They added a random person as a driver to my car policy WITHOUT my consent. Luckily, I was viewing my account to make a change of address and saw the extra random person. When I called to ask what was going on, they stated the reason for adding her was based on a report that her information was "similar" to mine. They put it on me saying they had sent me an email. (Now, I did not see this email BUT WHY GO AHEAD, DID I RESPOND?) I never confirmed or reached out myself to add another person on my policy. How dare they because Had I not caught it, they would have charged me for it on my payment date. Now I am canceling my account with them because when I called customer service to remove the person - they told me I needed to fill out a form and it would be a few days to process.

OH SO YOU CAN ADD SOMEONE WITHOUT MY SIGNATURE, BUT YOU NEED MY SIGNATURE TO REMOVE THEM? They create policies that only benefits them and does not make sense for the customer. Progressive - what right did you have to add a complete stranger to the policy that I pay for without my consent and then put it on me to fix? It just really doesn't make any sense to stay with such an unhelpful, sneaky company. And if that's your policy, then maybe you should change your "process".

Claudia

Same here!!! Lets speak up! Lets get this flagged and stop the extortion!

Coverage

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I purchased insurance with Progressive and later needed to cancel as I sold the vehicle. They issued a refund check, and I deposited said check. They put a stop payment on the check, which caused multiple fees, and have refused to cover the fees their actions caused. NEVER do business with them.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed April 16, 2024

I was involved in an accident May 2023, where the police report clearly indicated the other driver was 100% at fault and insured by Progressive. I provided the Progressive representative my bill. I did not hear back and I forgot to follow up. I reached back out Feb 2024 to find out Progressive is waiting for a third party to call them. I called the third party and was told they provided Progressive the information needed to move forward. I asked the Progressive representative to call the third party and shared what I was told by them. I was told by Progressive I needed to show proof I paid the bill.

I reached out to my insurance company to ask for something showing I paid my bill. Because I set up payment plan on the App they did not have anything showing the billed amount and all the monthly payments applied. I was able to get something showing the billed amount and payments. Almost a year later I’m still waiting for a payment. This has been a horrible experience. I should have gotten an attorney.

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I have had Progressive for a few years and felt they were good. But my thoughts are different. My 2010 Kia Soul got vandalized in October 2023. Today is 4/14/24 & I still do not have my car because they say it's fixable, but waiting parts. Last I heard from my rep by email was 3/6/24. So they're good as long as you don't have a claim.

Reviewed April 12, 2024

I tried to get a new quote for my insurance at which point they kicked me off of my old policy and escalated my quote review to an ominous under writing team that no one has a point of contact for other than email that they take "2 or more business days to respond to." In the meantime, I have no insurance, and while all I want to do is pay them the $300 plus I have been paying them for the past 6 years, they tried to renew me at $580 a month. No one can tell me why their underwriting team needs to review my documentation that I must submit (even though they already have full access to everything they've asked for) just that there is nothing they can do and maybe I should find somewhere else for a quote. At this point I've already invested at least 4 hours in trying to get requoted, and I'm being sent into the weekend with no insurance.

Reviewed April 5, 2024

Terrible customer service. I called in for my policy and firstly, it was unusually difficult to get through to a human. I did not have any issues that the automated service could direct me to. Finally, when I was able to get a human on the phone after several tries, the woman who answered was curt, and did not want to help me find what I needed or to be bothered with having to provide it to me. She literally asked if I was logged into the website. Of course I was. They have grouped all documentation together in one massive dump that customers have to sort through with a fine tooth comb, having to open up every attachment in the long list (pages and pages because they have grouped in emails, bills, notices, updates, etc.). She was very rude to me. I finally asked her, can't you just email my policy to me? To which she replied "No, because you should be able to find it right there." Just horrible and a pitiful excuse for making a paycheck.

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information