2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.0/5 (143 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Progressive Auto Insurance

Progressive sells several different types of vehicle and property insurance. It’s one of the largest auto insurers in the U.S. and offers competitive rates as well as a wide range of discounts, particularly for students, safe drivers and policyholders who make automatic payments.

Pros

• Various discounts
  • Competitive rates
  • Large service area
  • Multiple policy options

Cons

• Prices vary depending on how you buy
  • Some discounts not in some states
  • Not many in-person services

Bottom Line

Progressive offers low-cost car insurance, including options for young drivers. It's ideal for those who want affordable auto coverage and don't mind managing their policies entirely online.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Progressive Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have been incredibly satisfied with Progressive insurance. I appreciated having the snapshot device to use when I switched to Progressive to help me be more aware of how I was driving. I was thrilled that when I moved to a different zip code I saved more money. I was also pleased that during Covid, Progressive introduced the Blue Apron Program which gave money back to its customers. Their website is easy to navigate and their customer service is great.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I found out this Agency from a friend. Wow! I was more than impressed with the agent's upbeat and assuring attitude. She knew the different policies and explained each one in plain details, not a lot of jive. She went through each one and noted pros and cons. She found discounts and applied them to afford me the most reasonable quotes for my policy. Instantly I had my documentation that were required and I am a happy camper. Note: Customer service is everything but the company's Service Representatives truly make the difference. 5 star care isn't just given, it's earned. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Signing up for a new policy on my van was incredibly easy and the price was so competitive too! I was able to do it all online without the hassle of talking to a salesperson, which I appreciated. I even was able to download my insurance card and all of the related documents as soon as I signed up. I've been very pleased with Progressive and even after shopping around, found theirs to be the best price of all. I highly recommend them as an insurance company for your automobile.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I’ve been a customer with Progressive for three years now and they seem to be the cheapest out all the ones I searched online for I was able to do my entire quote online and was able to get everything I wanted on my policy and was even able to purchase at a cheaper price because I did it online and saved even more by having automatic withdrawal. I’ve shopped around a lot and Progressive had the cheapest for my needs. I have no problems

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Progressive is easy to manage your account online but I missed the personal touch. There isn't just one agent that you build a relationship with and that person be your contact for questions or issues. I had my home and car with them and each one increased every year without explanation. When I called the call center, I was given the explanation of the cost of doing business increases. When I asked for help to review my policies, there were no suggestions on how I could save money. The personal touch is what I needed. After many years I looked for and found everything I needed. I left Progressive. Not a bad company, just wasn't what I wanted and needed.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Claim # **. Full coverage, military, no accidents. Paid in full for 6 months ULL COVERAGE) on 20k car. Other insurance at fault 100% liability. 5 witnesses, traffic cam footage. PROGRESSIVE wants to bend me over Just to make a buck. First offer 13,7k from OTHER insurance company says 80/20. PROGRESSIVE tells me "we are here for our clients." Offers me kelly blue book 15k. 8/26 BUTT IN SEAT value is 21k minimum W/O scrap currently@(5k minimum). This is an easy W for PROGRESSIVE and they making a $ on their own client. Save your money, time and sanity explore different options. If you military try somewhere else. I took a whole day off to call my claim adjustor and no response. I spent my wedding fund on this car and they really trying to make a buck on a SOLDIER!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

DO NOT use Progressive for insurance. They basically take your money, despite having no claims for 8 years, & refuse to honor a claim despite having "diamond status". They took thousands of dollars from me over the years and refused to help me when I needed it. They are fraudulent and unethical. And now I am out of a car and no money to fix it or get another.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

After being with Progressive 2 months, they added an unauthorized driver to my policy. It increased my premium over $1000. The other driver had no access to my car and had his own vehicle with his own insurance. They refused to take him off. Then they billed me $300 more for his portion when I canceled my policy with them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

After being a Progressive customer for years, and occasionally getting the feeling we were being a little overcharged, yet staying because we were long term customers, we purchased another home in another state. We also purchased a car in that state 30 days prior to closing on the home. In the mean we were renting a home until the new home closed. We informed Progressive of this situation and they said NO PROBLEM. Then we received a notice saying if we didn't provide proof that the residence was our they were going to cancel the policy in 7 days.

After speaking with a rep, our agent, and a manager at progressive, they informed us that you actually have to live at the home to have insurance. Of course after checking with the state insurance consumer affairs office that is a lie. This is after we have been paying higher premiums for years to these clowns, and after they originally said NP. I have immediately canceled all of our policies including homeowners etc. And guess what, they didn't even try to help. They said np cancel everything. ZERO loyalty and common sense or honoring their original promise that everything was OK. NEVER GET PROGRESSIVE. They will not honor anything they say.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

You guys are complete thieves! A total rip off!! I am changing my insurance today! I don’t like giving you not even 1 star! For months you guys have overcharged me. Those out there, do not get Progressive Insurance!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I decided to change insurance carriers and Progressive at the time could not offer me a lower rate. So I switched to Safe Auto, since my car was an older car and didn't need full coverage insurance. That was 2 years ago. This company decided it wanted to attach itself to my credit report and now, since it is only a past due bill, not a credit card late payment, etc. So I want to warn you all.. They are greedy, and they will lurch all over you 'til you pay that last 200 dollars of your closed policy... It's called a contract, and if I knew that, I never would have went with them!

Original review: July 21, 2021

I would have given 0 stars if possible. Lost my job, got a new one. I needed a 8 day extension to pay my bill, because I didn't have the money. I used my savings to pay rent, buy groceries, and get gas so I could get to and from the new job. They literally said "that's unfortunate, but you do have a due date and it must be paid on that date or your policy will be canceled." I have screenshots for anyone interested. Do NOT use Progressive.

Original review: July 15, 2021

DO NOT USE PROGRESSIVE! I am appalled at the lack of information and replies to my requests for information regarding the claim for my son's car. His car has been in the storage facility for 17 days with only three contacts from the claims adjuster Devin **. The first two were about the storage facility bill seven days ago and the third was a request for us to sign over my son's car to them one day ago.

WHAT - we do not even know what they are doing with his car because she and her boss Edna ** will not return my texts or calls. PLUS....they have not picked up the car yet! WHO in their right mind would go ahead and sign over a car to someone that cannot take one minute to return a text? I am beyond frustrated with the lack of information and even more so with the lack of professionalism! If I acted like this at my job.... well, I would not have a job any longer!

Original review: June 24, 2021

Do not trust your family and autos to PROGRESSIVE! FLO IS A LIAR - DO NOT TRUST HER! Challenger Deep is considered the lowest point on earth. Travel there ... dig down 10 ft, and that is where you will find the scum that run Progressive insurance. This company values only statistics, not people. I just signed up for a policy with Progressive 1 1/2 months ago. I changed my carrier after 10 years with Allstate. Allstate had raised their rates so high I was forced to look elsewhere. 2 weeks after getting my new policy with Progressive, my son's car broke down at a Jiffy Lube (after an oil change). Initially I called Progressive to arrange for a tow, but cancelled it because Jiffy Lube wanted time to inspect the vehicle to determine if they were at fault for the mechanical failure.

After the inspection by Jiffy Lube, I called Progressive again to use my roadside assistance policy for a tow. The tow went quickly and smoothly. I was happy with the service. Fast forward to two weeks later. I received a letter in the mail from Progressive stating that my policy was cancelled because I had made two claims within the first 30 days.??? What??? I cancelled the first tow (a claim). But, according to Progressive, just by calling them and requesting a tow that was in effect a claim (even though no money was spent by either party).

I called Progressive to explain their mistake, but basically met a brick wall called the underwriting dept. They explained to me that because I had the audacity to actually use the policy I had paid for - roadside assistance - twice within the first 30 days of my policy, I was considered a high risk customer and therefore they were exercising their rights within the law to drop my policy. Unbelievable! I have a credit rating of 800+. Have never missed a payment in my life. I am as low of a risk that exists on this planet, but "statistically", according to Progressive, I am not worthy of their product.

Now I am switching carriers yet again (a joyful process to be sure). Progressive is not worthy of your time or money. They invest most of the money they make (and we are talking billions) in making TV commercials. FLO seems like a nice lady on TV. But get her on the phone and she is a cold, calculating snake! Save your time and money and get your insurance with a company that actually cares about, and values the people that make them money.

Original review: June 22, 2021

STAY AWAY! FAR FAR AWAY! I was involved in an accident at 75 mph, forced off the freeway. I managed to keep the car upright and once the police arrived I called Progressive. The temp in AZ was 107 degrees and sitting in a wrecked car on pavement on side of road probably 115 degrees. It took me over 30 minutes on hold to get someone and they transferred me. I was on hold again and they transferred me! I finally got someone to create a claim # and they transferred me. They gave me roadside service (for flat tire, broken window, etc...) I NEED A FRIGGIN TOW! 4 hrs. later still no response from progressive and no one ever called me back.

I called a tow myself and had to pay for it myself outta my pocket, WHAAAT! The tow co. operator said they don't trust progressive for payment so I need to get reimbursed from progressive and pay for it. 4 DAYS later not one person from progressive has called or emailed. Not one word from anyone! Anyone want to guess how the estimate is going to go from here. The customer service is at ZERO level from progressive so I can expect a $2K offer at best for my $10K vehicle which they will total I am thinking. Just waiting until we're done and this policy is cancelled by me for sure!

Progressive Auto Insurance Company Information