Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto

3.9/5 (1791 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • Many customization options
  • Affordable

Cons

• Customer service difficulties
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual's auto insurance is ideal for those looking to buy affordable and customizable coverage online. The company offers an array of discounts and custom coverage options.

Top Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

They have your best interests at heart. They always cover things I am not sure will be covered. Also the premiums remain pretty steady, so I don't have to go looking for a cheaper...

Verified

I had to sign up, pay and it was a great experience for me. I like the way you can talk to them about what happen and they listen. Liberty is a pretty good company… Feels like fam...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Liberty Mutual car insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance provider with a broad range of auto policy coverage and benefit options. It offers some specialized and add-on coverage and significant discounts, as well as a user-friendly online policy management system.

What does Liberty Mutual car insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual’s most affordable package offers typical car insurance: bodily injury liability, property damage liability and uninsured motorist coverage. This basic coverage meets most auto insurance requirements, but you can choose from several additional coverages to round out your auto policy. Liberty Mutual's add-ons include:

• Medical payment
  • New car replacement
  • Better car replacement
  • Gap insurance
  • Teachers’ insurance

Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes and costs

Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its car insurance rates online, but you can inquire about services and get a quote on its website. Your policy rates depend on your age, location, driving record and more. We requested a quote for basic coverage for a 20-something driver with good driving history, and Liberty's easy-to-use quote generator suggested a package as affordable as $94.25 per month. The company also offers lots of discounts, including:

• Personal discounts: Deals based on your current situation, e.g., good student and homeowner discounts. Liberty Mutual also offers up to 45% off if you renew your policy before the current term is over.
  • Automobile discounts: If your car has unique properties, like anti-theft or energy-saving features, you can get discounts.
  • RightTrack: By using this tracking device and app program, you can get discounts for safe driving.
  • Policy discounts: Liberty Mutual offers several discounts for those who pay upfront or online and those who purchase multiple policies at once.

You can get a quote by filling out a quick form on Liberty Mutual's website, and from there you can customize your insurance package to get the coverage you need.

Liberty Mutual car insurance FAQ

Does Liberty Mutual have cancellation fees?
Yes, but only if you cancel before the end of your policy term.
Can you cancel car insurance at any time with Liberty Mutual?
Yes, you can call Liberty Mutual to cancel your policy (remember to ask what the fees are for canceling early).
Can I pay for Liberty Mutual insurance with my credit card?
Yes, you can pay with your credit card on Liberty Mutual's website.
Where is Liberty Mutual car insurance available?
Liberty Mutual auto coverage is available in 45 states, including Washington D.C.

Is Liberty Mutual car insurance good?

Yes, Liberty Mutual is a solid auto insurance company with relatively cheap rates and coverage you can customize to your needs. We like its easy-to-use website, its quote tool and the various discount options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: May 19, 2022

I have been a customer of Liberty Mutual for over 7 years and have never had to file a claim. Recently I was involved in an auto accident where my vehicle was struck from behind by another car. Patrick ** was my assigned claims representative. I cannot stress enough what an absolute horrible job he did as well as his supervisor Christopher ** in handling my claim. Initially absolutely no contact involving answering questions with the involvement of my claim. Once contact was made after multiple calls & emails made by me reaching out over and over, so much time spent on my part just to get some clarification. It felt like I was just missed accidentally, but I wasn't, the initial conversation ended with "We understand, WE apologize, and We will make it right and take care of YOU.". They did not at all and I have yet to still receive a check from them involving my deductible.

My accident happened in February, it is now May 19th. Stephen ** was placed as my new claims Representative and again false promises, horrible return phone calls. I just recently called on Monday again about my deductible and an agent said would you like me to put this in as a high priority. I said of course I would like that and then I was instructed I would receive a phone call the next day. Today is Thursday May 19th 5:30 pm EST and I have not yet received a phone call or an email or a text or a message through their app. Just downright out unacceptable. I hope this reviews helps people out there who are deciding of what insurance company to go with. Unfortunately I picked the short straw!!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I should have gathered how awful this company was by the simple fact that they use an Emu for all of their commercials. I've never had an organization work SO HARD to lose business. After providing all the documents asked of me, they refused to take something off the account that was their error. Admittedly their error. When I pointed out that it was their error, they ignored me.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I helped a friend acquire a vehicle and put my name on a loan and they happen to get into an accident with a deer and totaled said car they were using Liberty Mutual as their insurance provider and I told them to park the car at my house so I could look at it too and find out what they're going to offer for the vehicle coz I might be interested in keeping it since I was on the title and the lien holder on it. Instead they decided to trespass on my property and take that car without permission that I have the title for and now they're trying to tell me where that car is located is none of my business, how I'm going to get it back is none of my business and they still haven't paid me my friend or my bank who financed the car a nickel for it but yet it's in their possession. I'm feeling a whole lot of legal gray areas and I'm about to lawyer up on them. I hope they enjoy paying out lawsuits

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

LM take care of my vehicle. I crashed my car twice and I don't have any issue. They take care of everything even my car rental while waiting for my vehicle to get fixed. The customer service is easy to talk. Happy with our INSURANCE COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I had my auto and home insurance with Liberty Mutual for over 10 years. When for the first time I filed a claim they increased my premiums almost double what I was paying for. I decided to go to another insurance company and I'm glad I did. No loyalty with Liberty Insurance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

My experience with customer service and getting a hold of my broker have been terrible. I purchase business insurance with Liberty Mutual, But since then can not get a hold of my Broker. I have reached out to him 5 times with no response over 4 weeks. I also wanted to access my portal with liberty Mutual and can not get an email confirmation from them.

So I called the corp office and they sent me to 6 different people and never resolved the problem. Then I called their sales for car insurance for our three cars and they quoted the same policy for $5,500. I currently pay $2,400 with State Farm and a 1 million dollar umbrella policy. I believe I made a big mistake with Liberty Mutual for business coverage, I can't imagine how they will be if I ever have a claim. I will be canceling and going with a different carrier.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

Horrible customer service. Broken process. They transfer you from one department to another and nothing gets resolved. Rarely do you get someone helpful over the phone. Also, after a total loss, they kept charging me, and 2 months later when I questioned them to refund that they said it was my duty to cancel my policy after a total loss. So they want you to keep paying for insurance on a stolen/total loss vehicle. That is ridiculous. Stay away from this company. It's only easy to hire the policy, after that your life will be hell.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

My policy was cancelled without my knowledge, after being renewed. I was driving around thinking I was covered, until they sent me an email a few weeks ago. Also, I had a car accident in which my car was totaled. The remainder of my car supposed to had been paid off. I added that feature on to my plan. It actually wasn’t paid off. The claims agent took it upon herself to change the numbers, never stating that my car balance wouldn’t be paid off. The remainder balance is now on my credit. Putting me in more debt, as I’ve had this over priced car insurance during a pandemic, while unemployed.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I had an auto policy through Liberty Mutual. In the middle of the coverage period I started a new job. I was out of work for 5 months. I was on the verge of my policy lapsing. I called LM and spoke with a rep. I asked him to give me the exact date my policy would cancel. The rep was very accommodating and provided me the information. I got paid the day before it would cancel. I go into my account the next morning to make the payment and it was cancelled. I was given the incorrect info by the rep. At the end of the day, it was my fault it cancelled.

I tried to reinstate the policy immediately. However the new rate was much more than I could afford. I asked the rep what I would owe on my final bill and he stated it would be $41.40. He said I would receive a final bill within 10 days. I received a bill 12 days later for $97.10. Huh??? So I called Liberty Mutual. Spoke with a rep who said she shows I owe $41.40. She was confused regarding additional charges. So she transferred me to another department. After waiting on hold for 25 minutes I had to release the call. I called back the next day and spoke with another rep. Again, he was baffled as to why the additional charges were added. The final bill I received was not itemized, it just had the amount that I supposedly owed. This rep also transferred me to another department. After on hold for close to 30 minutes, I again released the call. I then decided to file a complaint with BBB.

Several days later I receive an itemized bill for $97.10 in the mail. There were at least 20 credits, deductions and late fees. It was crazy. I'm still trying to figure out how a late fee was charged 10 days after the policy was cancelled. Again, I have no issue paying what I owe (I have actually paid the $41.40). I refuse to pay the additional fees. I was told by Liberty Mutual reps that's what I owe and that is all I will be paying. It was my fault it cancelled, I agree but I will not be fleeced by Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I was insured L.M.I, for 16 mo. When I first got my policy I put 276.00 down for full coverage on 2018 VW Beetle. I thought that was Great, the agent was very informative and took the time to explain the policy. 139.00 mo. And it should go down in a year. When insurance companies were mandated to give Covid 19 Rebate I wasn't never notified by email or phone so I call to inquire about the refund. I was told, "It's over." I asked the agent, "Was the refund for All Liberty Mutual Customers?" He said, "Yes. They were notified." I said, "Well I wasn't." He told me I would probably get a lower Bill.

After renewal my Bill was 139.00. My decrease was 125.00. My Bill was going to be lowered anyway for no accidents, DUI, tickets. I Just thought that was a bit unfair. Before Covid I didn't drive a lot. Between June 2020-39,000 - October 2021. 42,674. Well I don't have to deal with that anymore. I sold my car. Good bye Liberty Mutual. That's the only reason I have to give this rate today.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information