Liberty Mutual - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Call company to change the account payments were being withdrawn from. Customer service messed up the payment change so the next payment came from the wrong account again. Called to have it corrected... Two and half weeks later payments are still not correct. Refund still not issued back to incorrect account. I canceled the whole policy...

I called for a quote... The adjuster was very unprofessional. I am 47 year old woman who has been driving since I was 17. I have no accidents or tickets and I was quoted $2000 down and $187 a month. I am a retired veteran and drive less than 6,000 miles a year. And, I live in a small town in Alabama and have no other drivers in my household. I have never been late on any payment, car or insurance. When I asked for any reason whatsoever as to why the quote is so high she responded, "It just is." This Company is Dookey!!!

I had Liberty Mutual insurance in the past. It is the worst insurance company to deal with when you need them. I canceled my insurance with them; because the claim adjuster is very insensitive, rude, and unprofessional. Recently one of their insured hit my car while my car was parked. I could not get in touch with Adjuster they sign for me, it has been 3 months the issue is still not solve. The Adjuster was very rude and unprofessional; I never had such negative experience with an insurance company. I had different insurance companies in the past for my car, home. I never had such a negative experience. I would never recommend Liberty Mutual to anyone. I am so happy with my current insurance with Farm Bureau. It is wonderful company to be insure with.

I have been with Liberty Mutual for several years. After reporting a claim I found out that I did not have a gap insurance. I switched vehicles and told them that I wanted everything to remain the same as the other vehicle. They told me "OK" over the phone and I didn't find out until my vehicle was a total loss that the gap was never transferred over to my new vehicle. They did not do anything to try to help me with my complaint. They told me to call 800-number and that was it.

I am putting in a corporate complaint as well as calling the insurance Commissioner. They also told me that the car that I transferred over to did not qualify for gap and she was because of the year of the vehicle which was a lie. I brought another vehicle and get the gap insurance through the car dealership. If you add a vehicle and one make sure you get your proper insurance papers and get everything in writing because the exit forgiveness and giving you a new vehicle and place of your old one is bogus. They need to change their commercials because they are mine and I want the customers to pay for their Commercials. Like another customer they told me that because of the area I was in in Maryland that that's why the insurance went up but that was not the case. I called around and that was FALSE INFORMATION.

My husband was hit from behind by a person with Liberty Mutual Insurance while at a stop light. It took 2 weeks for them to get in contact with us about the car despite our numerous phone calls to them. We were assigned to adjuster Tawanna **. Our car was deemed a total loss and they proceeded to send us a settlement offer for wholesale price of our Lexus. The comparable cars that they used for the valuation where cars with 40,000 more miles on them than our car two states away and without the features that our car had. When we provided proof of things that they missed on the valuation (Navigation, Mark Levinson stereo and in perfect condition), they would not adjust the valuation. How can an accident that was not our fault actually COST us money to become whole again??? Awful company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Rental Car, Hesitation on paying for car repairs. OMG! You would think Full Coverage is Full Coverage. It's not! You have to make sure you're also paying for car rental, tow, roadside service. It's time to change to a insurance that has an office where you can go sit down and talk to someone and know that you are covered 100%. I'm not paying for a very expensive company that has No employees, no office, and no time to talk to you. I would think twice before using this company, as I will in finding somewhere better to send my money.

I've literally been on hold with HEADQUARTERS now for over 30 minutes! There seems to be absolutely no one that can provide any assistance. I've been hung up on, told I was going to be called back several times, and it's going on a month since I filed a claim. I've been given the run around, back and forth, etc. It's very concerning and frustrating that someone has to literally BEG a company to do their job. I've spoken with about 4 - 5 different people from this company and have yet to get any answers on moving forward with this claim and getting my car repaired.

It would be really nice to hear back from ANYONE in this company with some actual answers, with actual instructions on what the next steps are. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this company to anyone I know because the customer service is horrible. They honestly make me feel (and judging by the reviews, many others) like they have zero concern for me, my claim, or my time. I feel like they are trying to buy time to somehow work their way around accepting fault and getting my car repaired.

This company operates in the most deceptive way. They refuse to cancel insurance and threaten customers with collections if they don't renew with them. They insist you must have their insurance. BEWARE. These thieves will try to bill you even if you notify them that you don't intend to renew. This has been a common complaint by customers with the Better Business Bureau. I advise that if you are looking for insurance avoid Liberty Mutual Insurance, you will be glad you did. Informed consumers should also read other customer experiences written about this company in ConsumerAffairs.

I was sideswiped on 1/13/17 on my way to work. Of course the other guy denied hitting me and my insurance (Liberty Mutual) suggested that I just use them to get the repairs done. The adjuster assigned my claim. It took days to respond to emails and phone calls and when the time came to pay for the repairs to my vehicle I could not reach anyone at the company. I also had a claim on my home and the adjuster actually falsified documents writing that she spoke with me on a specific time and date and gave me information, well I was actually on a plane headed to a funeral on that date so there was no way she talked to me but she had the audacity to put that statement in writing. I will change companies once this mess is straightened out and suggest anyone who is considering using Liberty Mutual find a better alternative.

I was in a wreck in August 2016 with an ER visit and multiple soft tissue problems. My car was pronounced totaled pretty quickly but the process to receive payment was fairly long and complicated then I didn't get a rental car for very long to be able to find a replacement - my husband and I had to carpool for a while. Now at the end of January/beginning of February my liability claim is being settled and Liberty Mutual does not go by any formula of 1.5 or 2 times your medical bills. They actually offered a quarter of my medical bills for the pain and suffering portion. Very disappointed.

I would have thought you would take care of potential customers - if a customer is happy after a claim they may become a future customer - not us. Low ball offers and not willing to negotiate much has left us more frustrated. Not a simple or easy process going through a wreck and Liberty Mutual hasn't made the process any easier for us - lots of calls and emails back and forth.

Don't believe all the "hoopla" the television commercials advertise. The "accident forgiveness" and "new car replacement" are only provided to certain policy holders and not others. Furthermore, their claims adjusters act like they could care less about your accident/claim or amount they are covering. Plan for it to be a "he said/she said" game right up until the very end. Oh, and if you are waiting for a return phone call or email you might as well call their Presidential Customer Service number right out of the gate because you won't hear back from your low-level claims adjuster. Not a good insurance company in my experience and I am the Policyholder. So disappointed to say the least.

I called to ask if our auto insurance rate would be going down as I was so enthusiastically told would happen when our policy renews. No it jumped up by $46 dollars a month?! Why I asked. She explained due to cars being so expensive now and those cars requiring costly repairs they've had to raise their rates across the board!? Is that my fault I mean seriously, I have to pay $46 more a month because of their cost to repair and/or replace!? Today I turned 61 with no tickets no major accident or repairs and my birthday present was our auto insurance is going up to $204 from $158?? I'm so upset b/c it's such **!!

She goes on to say my husband and I could take "safe driving classes" oh and raise our deductibles to $1000 from $500!? I'm like "what's that going to save me?" She responds $8-10 bucks a month! I'm saying hell no what I'm going to do is begin another insurance quotes days shopping for new auto and home insurance (yes house with them too)! I'm so sick of we the little guy getting stuck with the big green wiener at every turn, it's this kind of treatment that keeps people from saving or taking a vacation. We're getting screwed and Liberty Mutual along with all the rest of these "must have products"companies get richer off us. Sickens me!

When I originally got the insurance the rates were low and my record was clean. My record is still clean and my monthly payment amount is reduced because I am a member of a federal credit union. When I have a question I call and a real person answers the phone. This is such a relief because I hate talking to robots. Liberty Mutual may not replace my 1992 Toyota Camry if ever I was in an accident, but after pricing quotes from other auto insurance companies they are the lowest.

I was rear ended by one of Liberty Mutual's clients on 12-13-2016 and it took weeks to even begin to get anywhere with this company. Once they finally accepted fault and agreed to repairs, I took my car to the body shop only for another catastrophe. First, they refused to replace my bumper covers and bumper because they wanted them "repaired" even though the body shop told them they couldn't be repaired. The body shop took my car apart and sent them pictures (once again) of the damage and they agreed to replace the parts. Mind you, I Drive a 2015 Toyota Highlander and they refused to replace it with Toyota parts but would only replace it with after market or generic parts. When I called to discuss this matter with them and tell them I wanted my car replaced just like it was prior to the accident, they told me they wouldn't do that because it was cheaper for them to replace the damage with generic parts!

This is the most unreasonable and horrific company I have ever dealt with as far as automotive goes. It is ridiculous to be rear ended and it is no fault of your own and they will not even replace your damage with genuine parts! I would never recommend them for anything and I hope you all never get involved in a collision with a driver who has this insurance. I cannot say one positive thing about them. They were also very rude in all of their interactions.

I called them & they took care of everything. No further communication was needed. I have no problems with customer service. Has always been great policy at a reasonable cost. Rates seem to be rising.

I had hit by some person with Liberty Mutual insurance and after they accept liability they say the only use part there are no genuine for my car and if I want part OEM I had to pay for them. How is that possible? The other party insurance is not cover the right part for our cars is something unexpected hopefully I was not injured on accident that means that if a person is injured they no going cover the right treatment instead they take you to hospital they will put you on with some **. Hell nooo. It's no fair because they charge everybody for a services and they no up to that service.

I saved half of what I was paying. Their rates are good, customer service is great. Only negative I can give would be their policies are quite confusing to understand. They need to be more customer friendly.

NEW CAR REPLACEMENT IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT, its a lie. They do not replace your car. They only pay for the damage one. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT... I lost a 2016 Ford Explorer in weather damage. They are evasive and secretive to explain what is they are paying for, took them 58 days to pay lien holder, adjuster do not want to explain, I have ask her many times to explain the payments and she is not willing to explain. I call customer service and all they tell you is the claim adjuster will explain, it never happen. They are only to pay whatever they please to. Liberty Mutual is a fraud and liars.

I was hit in October 2016 by an irresponsible driver. His car was immediately totaled. He was in a company car and his commercial insurance is Liberty Mutual. After the accident was filed the driver and Liberty Mutual accepted full fault. My son and I received chiropractic treatment. Liberty Mutual called and was very nice offering immediately to pay all medical. As soon as medical was settled they no longer took interest in trying to settle my auto claim in a timely manner. I sent my car to a body shop who deemed it a total loss and refused to repair the extensive damages. They assigned me an adjuster, Kwame, who immediately sent me a small amount check and attempted to close the case.

After several weeks I could no longer reach Kwame and finally got Liberty Mutual to assign me another adjuster. They assigned me Jasmine. She was never available or at work. Eventually I could no longer reach her as well. The list continued with Brian, Gregory, Nicole... all of which would not settle my claim in a timely fashion.

Today is January 6, 2017 and I still have not received the promised check from Liberty Mutual for the total loss of my vehicle. They refused to continue paying my rental car after January 3, but have not issued a check to me for the loss. I would be hesitant to ever purchase Liberty Commercial Insurance as their customer service is terrible. Phone calls and emails are not returned in a timely manner from the commercial total loss Allen ** team and Timothy ** team. I have been sent in a circle for months thru more than 10 people and my claim still isn't resolved.

One telephone call took care of everything. Whether I needed to report an accident or needed a jump or tow, they were right there with the solution. And, my rates have declined. Liberty Mutual has been the best insurance company with which I have been. My agent has been responsive and dealing with the company has not only been painless, it has been simple, quick, and efficient.

Liberty Mutual won't give us an adjuster's name and date to assess our totaled damaged car despite numerous phone calls and admittance of full responsibility. They only responded to the PIP claim as required under FL Law. Accident date 12/31/2016, report case Saint Lucie Co. Sheriffs #**. Today is 1/6/2017 and we have a junked car, unusable sitting in our driveway with no means of transportation and they are required to provide us with one by law. Two old seniors being shown no compassion or respect by Liberty Mutual, know as LM General Ins Co.

I was in a car accident back in April and was in a tremendous amount of pains for several months. Lucky for me I was covered under workman comp and got most of my therapy through work. Once I was released I was still in quite a bit of pain so I had to go to my family doctor. Once the pain was gone I reached out to my representative Chris and gave him all the information he asked for. He told me he would have this all wrapped up in about 2 weeks. A little over a month later I gave him a call since I hadn't heard anything. Only then did he tell me that he had sent off for the information from the doctors I had seen but hadn't heard back. I contacted Concentra and they said they had not received any communication from Chris in any form even though I was told he emailed, faxed and mailed requests off.

I got the information myself and he told me that he had the information from my other doctor's office and it would all be wrapped up in about a week or two. Two weeks go by so I call again and he said he still hadn't received the info from the family doctor... At this point I was getting frustrated because I don't feel like he even tried to contact the doctor's office. I called myself and they gave me the number for the data file agency right then and there. These simple phone calls were all it took but Chris at Liberty couldn't even be bothered enough to call me and ask me to do his job and make the phone calls myself. I don't know if this is Liberty Mutual's SOP or if the agent assigned to me is just lazy and/or incompetent. I do know however I would never get insurance from them if this is how they treat people.

Signed on to Liberty Mutual, attached the Right Track and received a 17% discount. Had $75/month auto deduction for 1 year. Had no claims and no tickets, at 1 year anniversary deduction went to $94/month.

They insured Gardner Environmental Services and their driver got distracted by a girl with big boobs and rammed right into me... During a month investigation they still have not cover my rental car. Always call the cops to have a witness, take photos, and stay far away from them worthless drivers of that organization.

I switched to Liberty Mutual 2 years ago. Last year they raised all my rates about 20%. This year they were ready to go up another 20%. So I contacted my agent and canceled the policies in November. December rolls around and they withdrew another month of fees. I would highly advise anyone switching to Liberty Mutual not to do it. You will pay more in the end.

Over the 10 years my husband had Liberty Mutual, every payment made on time. He had 3 separate accidents. 1 his fault by thinking a yielded car in front of him had already gone and even then the rear damage was very minimal. They kindly sent a letter releasing him as their client. I thought this was very wrong after 10 years of loyal on time payments. Their customer service was difficult as well. THANK YOU GOD FOR USAA and being able to put him on my insurance, which is less than HALF what this rip-off drop you like a bad egg agency does. Buyer beware.

I'd be interested in the results of your research. If you post again, perhaps you can enlighten us all. In the interest of safety, the public's and mine, I removed the device and returned it to Liberty Mutual. The first day I installed it, I drove like I normally would with situational awareness, etc. At the end of my day, I reviewed my activity and was surprised at my 5 "events" of hard acceleration (such as 7.5mph to 14.9mph, 1.2mph to 8.7mph, etc) and 20 of hard braking (19.9mph to 12.4mph, 14.9mph to 7.5mph, 46.0mph to 38.5mph, etc). At the end of my second day, I had ZERO events of hard acceleration and THREE events on hard braking. Again, similar stats as per above. HOWEVER, I had numerous road rage aggressive driving in response to my passive driving as is required by the device to avoid "events" as per above.

I was merging onto a highway and was passed on the ramp by several cars, two who topped their actions off with a three finger salute. I had another driver honk his horn for an extended 100+ feet and jerked his car in front of me to express his frustration. After doing some research and reading quite a few of the reviews regarding these devices, I came to the conclusion that removing the device was absolutely in the best interest of safety and common sense. I cannot take another day, much less an hour or another minute, experiencing the type of road rage directed at me (with my daughter as passenger) as I drove with the Right Track device.

It drove me nuts and it surely drove those who had to deal with my very dangerous passive driving methods as is required by the device. It's dangerous and I fear, will costs some lives out on the roads. It also could very well be used against you in a court of law should the worst happen. Surely, Liberty Mutual and other insurance companies can figure out a better way to award discounts to their customers than this half-thought contrived idea.

They paid the repair facility promptly after sending out the estimator promptly. I never had a problem with them, when my mileage usage on my car dropped they adjusted the price of the insurance accordingly. I have my home, auto and comprehensive insurance with this company for many years. They are always the least expensive and although I would prefer to have an agent, the online service has never given me any problems. When I got sideswiped they sent me the form that I needed to fill out for the state since my dollar amount was over what you needed to supply to the state. I didn't know about that.

Customer service was good, price was good, good for a year, then at the end of the year I was dropped for I had 3 glass cracks in windshield, $40 each and 2 towing, no tickets or accidents in 40 years of driving for either my husband or myself. Reason, they said because I had this many incidents, I told them I was sorry I live in TX. Everyone gets cracks in their windshields, and I paid extra for towing. I went back to AAA, was with them for 40 years, just moved to TX and tried Liberty Mutual. Well I laugh every time I see their commercial, it's a joke. Then I read over their reviews, they only take the best. I was the best until I got a crack, that's the difference. They drop you when you use them, so if you're perfect, use them. I was sorry I changed from AAA. They might be a little more but they have your back.

I was sideswiped by a big rig insured by Liberty Mutual. After 6 months of calling, emails, voicemail, etc Austin ** finally tried to get me to settle. He was very adamant about the amount of money he wanted to offer me. Granted the not informed employee he did not even have all of my medical records. He tried to get me to settle without having all of the paperwork. This company is a joke. It is the worst Insurance Company I have ever had to deal with. I had to do all of the paperwork sending fax to them. I don't see how this company can even be run today. It shouldn't even be able to have a license to call themselves a company or an entity. These are the worst people I have ever encountered. If you want a runaround, people not returning your calls, not responding to any emails, ignoring you, being rude to you and simply not giving a damn then this is the company for you.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.
  • Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.
  • Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.
  • Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.
  • Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.
  • Best for New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Compare Auto Insurance