2. Automotive
Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto

4.0/5 (1448 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • Many customization options
  • Affordable

Cons

• Customer service difficulties
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual's auto insurance is ideal for those looking to buy affordable and customizable coverage online. The company offers an array of discounts and custom coverage options.

Top Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

They have your best interests at heart. They always cover things I am not sure will be covered. Also the premiums remain pretty steady, so I don't have to go looking for a cheaper...

Verified

I had to sign up, pay and it was a great experience for me. I like the way you can talk to them about what happen and they listen. Liberty is a pretty good company… Feels like fam...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Liberty Mutual car insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance provider with a broad range of auto policy coverage and benefit options. It offers some specialized and add-on coverage and significant discounts, as well as a user-friendly online policy management system.

What does Liberty Mutual car insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual’s most affordable package offers typical car insurance: bodily injury liability, property damage liability and uninsured motorist coverage. This basic coverage meets most auto insurance requirements, but you can choose from several additional coverages to round out your auto policy. Liberty Mutual's add-ons include:

• Medical payment
  • New car replacement
  • Better car replacement
  • Gap insurance
  • Teachers’ insurance

Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes and costs

Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its car insurance rates online, but you can inquire about services and get a quote on its website. Your policy rates depend on your age, location, driving record and more. We requested a quote for basic coverage for a 20-something driver with good driving history, and Liberty's easy-to-use quote generator suggested a package as affordable as $94.25 per month. The company also offers lots of discounts, including:

• Personal discounts: Deals based on your current situation, e.g., good student and homeowner discounts. Liberty Mutual also offers up to 45% off if you renew your policy before the current term is over.
  • Automobile discounts: If your car has unique properties, like anti-theft or energy-saving features, you can get discounts.
  • RightTrack: By using this tracking device and app program, you can get discounts for safe driving.
  • Policy discounts: Liberty Mutual offers several discounts for those who pay upfront or online and those who purchase multiple policies at once.

You can get a quote by filling out a quick form on Liberty Mutual's website, and from there you can customize your insurance package to get the coverage you need.

Liberty Mutual car insurance FAQ

Does Liberty Mutual have cancellation fees?
Yes, but only if you cancel before the end of your policy term.
Can you cancel car insurance at any time with Liberty Mutual?
Yes, you can call Liberty Mutual to cancel your policy (remember to ask what the fees are for canceling early).
Can I pay for Liberty Mutual insurance with my credit card?
Yes, you can pay with your credit card on Liberty Mutual's website.
Where is Liberty Mutual car insurance available?
Liberty Mutual auto coverage is available in 45 states, including Washington D.C.

Is Liberty Mutual car insurance good?

Yes, Liberty Mutual is a solid auto insurance company with relatively cheap rates and coverage you can customize to your needs. We like its easy-to-use website, its quote tool and the various discount options.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Great rate for their homeowners. Cars another story. I am paying $400.00 less a month than I was paying them. That's a HUGE drop. I was paying them over $700.00 every month. Every company I got a quote from was literally $100s of dollars less than I was paying.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We have used Liberty Mutual for the past 4 years and they have been nothing less than excellent. Their customer service representatives are knowledgeable, always with a wonderful demeanor, responsive to the issues I have called about, and most of all the listen. Without exception, when I hang up, I know that the situation has been resolved. I never have had to make a followup call.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Customer service is always easily reachable. I use the phone or email. They are helpful with accidents. One time my husband had someone rear end him on the highway. We tried to get the other person's insurance cover, but was always a delay. Thus kept us waiting to get the vehicle fixed. Liberty Mutual had us go ahead and fix the vehicle, they took care of the bill and went after the other insurance company afterwards. One slight negative is whenever we make an adjustment on the car insurance we get new insurance cards mailed out whether or not they are needed, I think just adds to the cost of the insurance. They offer many ways to pay the bill.

Original review: July 29, 2020

There is no perfect car or homeowners insurance company, but I have been totally pleased with Liberty Mutual the last 20 years. Easily approachable, quick response and adjusters if needed for a claim, with quick claim payments. Received a rebate due to Covid, but most car insurance companies are doing the same.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I was first attracted to them with their monthly price and accident forgiveness. I was a little irritated when they raised my rates a little even though I'd had no accidents. Then, when I had damage to my car and needed them, I found out just how amazing they are. The true measure of an insurance company is what happens when you actually need coverage. They were incredibly fast, communicated regularly, let me pick my own shop, and never questioned the bill when my shop increased the price twice. They were fantastic. As a result, I will stay with them and not even shop around.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I filed a claim on a loss of of 7000.00 dollars. For parts, engine, Labor from the shop. I thought after my monthly payments for over 5 years for a special coverage that they would at least cover the parts like fuel, gaskets, shop supplies would be covered. THEY ARE NOT AFTER PAYING 1600.00 A YEAR. After 3 agents and tossed around to these agents I still had to keep on them to complete the claim. WOW. I cancelled. First time shame on me. There will not be a second time. Be warned. It's your money not theirs.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I called to cancel my insurance on the 16th. Was told they already took my payment on the 15th. Which was a lie they didn't take it till the 19th. I was also told on the 16th it would take 3 to 5 days to get my money back. Now it's the 26 and I am being told it will be back into my account on the 29th or May 3rd to get my money back. Which I really need to buy medicine that I have to take. They don't care. I had a lady in the resolution department hang up on me today after my 4th call. Also they took out 324.29 on the 19th after I told them to cancel it but will only refund 206.18. I am being told it costed me 118.11 for 10 days of insurance. Unless you want to be screwed over don't get insurance thru Liberty Mutual ever.

Original review: April 10, 2021

It’s really breaks my heart to write this review. I told everyone I know about Liberty Mutual. In the beginning, I was happy with the company. I had a accident in December of 2020. I still paid my insurance. On March of 2021 I was .75 cent short of my full payment and to my surprise. The company canceled my policy. From December to March I was driving rentals until I saved up money to get a new car. I even picked up a third job to make sure during this pandemic so my income would cover all bills. To my surprise my policy was canceled because I was .75 cent short. I can believe this company has done this.

Then I was told in order to reinstate my policy I would have to pay a new policy in full. What a slap in the face. I have worked overtime between paying for a rental in full (with no discount from Liberty) and paying for my insurance. I was short .75 cent. I am beyond hurt. This is no way to treat anyone during Americans worst time in history. I have a brand new car with no insurance. I can not afford to start a new policy at this moment.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I switched to another insurance company and LM is charging me $737.01 saying they covered me Without My Permission through Covid. This is a scam I was covered by another company and even if I wasn’t I NEVER ASKED THIS COMPANY TO COVER ME. Please make people aware of this insurance scam!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Updated on 12/13/2021: Update - l contacted corporate Saturday the 8th and left a lengthy voicemail. At the end of the call they had till Friday. I got a call from some lady named Mara who had no clue and insisted we only called to set up a tow on the 5th. I had names and phone records to prove otherwise. The 5th was stuck in her head so l just had to end the call. She was mad because l told on everyone. The president called me apologizing and repeating ”l assure you we strive to make our customers happy.” l am not one of their customers and his customers is happy because they got their car fixed. Long story short-She got a new front end and the car was done yesterday. l just fixed the TT myself. I hope to never have to deal with them again and l told them that.

Original: One of Liberty Mutual customers hit my niece back in October 2020. She had advise both of them in the body shop that her traction control is malfunctioning now and she heard a noise coming from the right front side of the car. The customer of liberty mutual made a left-hand turn on her and she hit them which damage the right front side of her car. She had told me that her traction control light just comes on randomly and the car will stop moving or lose power while she’s in motion in the traction control light just Goes crazy. I also witnessed the traction control light on when she dropped her car off at my house so she can use mine. She has called liberty and Body by Cochran in Monroeville Pennsylvania several times to let them know that these issues are ongoing with no results.

So I took matters in my own hands and I called them myself because she had been using my car for the past two weeks. Before that she wishes barring everybody else’s car because nobody was returning her calls. It took six phone calls in two days. It took two phone calls to get a tow truck. The claims adjuster that had been handling her case has never returned her call and that was two weeks ago. We’ve been getting the runaround between liberty mutual and body shop that she’s dealing with still. We had to pay another shop to look at that noise which in turn we were told the axle was damaged. The other axle is fine. It’s just been an absolute nightmare for me and for her.

For me because I’ve had to let her use my vehicle so she can get to work. For her, her car still isn’t technically drivable. The car is back at the shop again. Even the shop was giving me the runaround. I was told by liberty mutual that I need to contact the body shop, but she is the accident victim why should we have to contact the other person‘s insurance company to get her car fixed right? I will continue to call until this is resolved. This has affected me like I said because she’s had to use my car and I’m out of the vehicle because I love her and I’m not gonna let her ride in a car that is not the way it was before and I feel a lot better if she’s in a vehicle that’s safe. Just remember, how would you feel if you were in this situation?

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information