Liberty Mutual - Auto
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Liberty Mutual - Auto

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

770 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I recently relocated to another state. I had auto and home insurance. I had 2 older children that did not make the move. I obviously called Liberty Mutual in the steps of the process as I sold and purchased another house. After a bit of time, I realized my auto insurance had not been transitioned to the new state, at a costly price. Liberty Mutual's response was that speaking to Liberty Mutual about my house is not necessarily speaking to Liberty Mutual and the responsibility was mine to know to call a different department, that this is not letting Liberty Mutual of an address change... HORRIBLE customer service. They went on to say that if the representative with my house had informed me that there were additional steps to the process that they would have been going "above and beyond!" Seriously-!?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have contacted the claims dept twice now with questions, both times have been some of the worst customer service experiences. The last time a wind storm had blown over a tree in my front yard and it fell on my truck. When I got up that morning and found it I was a little upset. No problem I thought that is what I have insurance for, everything will be OK. WOW was I wrong. When I called up the claims rep at Liberty Mutual she was rude, after explaining what had happened there was no empathy for my situation, she just very curtly let me know that this would be counted as an at fault collision so I may want to think about paying for this myself. "How is this a collision," I asked confused, "A tree fell on my truck in the middle of the night." "A tree collided into your truck," she said.

I have since done some research and discovered that a tree falling on your vehicle is considered a comprehensive claim, and this is just a scare tactic used to get out of paying claims. I will definitely be shopping around and doing a little more research in customer satisfaction, not just looking for a recognized name with a good price. I will be looking for a local agent, a person that has my best interests in mind.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I was in an incident where the Commercial truck backed into parked car. I was less than 20 ft away when this happened and I watched and even try to prevent it but it cause the fender to be bent and the bumper fell off on one side. The insurance company said they are only liable for some scratches on the bumper. This company and the reps are scam artist. The rep told me to contact a lawyer. I'm still trying to resolve this issue but only way get lawyers involved dealing with this company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I would give 0 star if I could. Absolutely horrible claims department. So thankful we are not clients. We got hit by someone who is. Took 2 weeks just for them to look at our car. Deemed it totaled. Still waiting on our claim check from Brandon. Now we have to pay for additional days on our rental when this was not our fault at all. Was supposed to overnight papers twice and found out he never did. Sure was quick to say they were not paying for our rental though.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Liberty Mutual insured hit my rear vehicle and they won't pay for car rental when I drop my car for repair. What kind of the business is it? The insured fault 100%. Do I have to pay out pocket for car rental? Is not my fault. It horrible horrible insurance company...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We have been with Liberty Mutual for years with no claims. All was well and we never heard from them. Had 1 claim, a water damage claim, the first in our 26 years of being a home owner and in the last 2 years they have jacked up our rates $900 and said they let us know but I'm not sure how they let us know! I'm looking for a new company right now! I hate how companies like Liberty Mutual can screw the consumers over ALWAYS!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My daughter and I both have Liberty Mutual insurance; somehow "they" for a year debited my insurance from my daughter's checking account. They reported that I authorized it; however, I don't know my daughter's checking account number. They refuse to reimburse her until I pay the bill. However, they will not provide me a statement to pay the bill, nor will they provide anything in writing as to how this happened.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

If you have car insurance with Liberty Mutual please do yourself a favor, call a reputable company like Allstate, Progressive, ??? or anyone other than LM. This company has been giving me the run-a-round for the last 6 weeks. I have had to leave message after message every day for the last 6 weeks and only 2 times has this company called me back. Here is what you will experience: 1) Your claim rep is not in the office today but will call you back within the next 24 hours. BALONEY!!! Their Claim Reps do not even come in the office. There isn't an office. All the work is done through call centers and voicemails. Don’t wait by the phone. 2) "We will send you a check out tomorrow!!!" Yep I failed for that one too. Still waiting and no one seems to know where the check is that was sent out last week.

3) "Can I speak to my claims reps supervisor???" "Sure her name is ____ ____ and she is out of the office today so please leave a message and she will call you back in 24 hrs." BALONEY X 2!!! This person will not call you back at all or return your emails. 4) So I called and waited 93 minutes for the operator to get the Claims Reps Supervisor on the phone. She called me back through SKYPE. She ask me my name and address and while I was telling her the line went dead. 5) I call Customer service again. "She is not working today but you can leave a message." That’s when I realized LM stands for LEAVE MESSAGE. I'M DONE!!! UGGGH!!! 6 weeks into this.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

LM's insured pulled out of a parking space in a parking lot. He had backed in. The problem is that I was already backing out. He wasn't moving when I started backing out and it was a clear day. My car is dark blue, but he gunned his little convertible right into my brand new car, hitting it hard enough to dent the bumper and crack it! He was totally not watching where he was going and was obviously 100% at fault. BUT - the adjusted from LM told me I was 20% at fault and would have to pay that much of the damages! I would not accept that and spoke with her supervisor. It took 30 minutes for this person to realize that she could not give me one reason for their decision. She promised to consult with other managers and call me back. Of course, she did not.

It has been close to a month since the accident and these people at this major company are trying to beat me out of $170 from an $844 claim! I receive social security, and $170 is a lot of money to me. I doubt if anyone would miss that much out of petty cash at Liberty Mutual. I actually feel embarrassed for them, quibbling with me over this claim. It's not like we're dealing with a Rolls Royce that was totaled - this is a relatively small claim as auto claims go, but these people just will not take care of business. Forget their cutesy little commercials - these people just collect money and won't take care of anything that requires a pay-out - even for a lousy $844. Very VERY poop.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

My car was damaged while parked at work. Thankfully the person who damaged my car turned himself in and I worked with his insurance, Liberty Mutual, to take care of repairs. They authorized a rental while my car was in the shop but one of the parts needed was delayed by customs for nearly two weeks. This went beyond what Liberty Mutual was willing to pay for me to have a rental while my car was in the shop. Unacceptable. Their customer damaged my vehicle then they won't provide me transportation so I can continue to drive to work while it was being repaired. It was up to me to pay for the continued use of the rental.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Not only is LM hundreds of dollars more than other companies for comparative car insurance services, but homeowner's insurance was over a $1000 more a year. They also are not easy to cancel and will continue to take automatic payments out of your account. After this eye-opening experience and reading the review for how they resolve claims, I am glad that I have switched.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I am 49 years old, been with Liberty Mutual since I was 16 (except for a couple lost years when I moved to another state). I just found out I am overpaying by $1300 a year. How much have I overpaid in all these years? I was afraid to use an agent. Dont be dumb like me. Stay away from Liberty Mutual and get an agent that knows what they are doing and can get you the best rate. Also no matter what I do they seem to want to charge me a fee. I asked to be taken off auto pay since I am not renewing. They told me I would be charged $221 over the course of the year for finance charges. I told them I am cancelling immediately and they now are charging me a "short rate" fee. So ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Had Liberty Mutual - Auto Insurance for 2 years. My rates have doubled for no reason. I was paying $5,520.00 for 2 cars. My wife and I are both over 50 years old and have no incidents on our driver license for over 10 years. I received a quote from GEICO for more than 50% off Liberty Mutual's price for the same exact coverage. I notified Liberty and they told me that they do not blame for leaving & yet they would not lower their price. They are great at collecting money, NOTHING ELSE. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

After Liberty Mutual accepted full responsibility for the damages to my Lincoln Town Car which was hit on private property when parked unoccupied. I was directed by Liberty's claims agent William ** to have an estimate of $2,101.15 to make the repairs. Liberty did not send anyone to look at the damages but returned a different "Estimate of Record" for only $1,216.33. Lehner's Collision in West Branch, Michigan did the estimate which needed $884.82 dollars more to repair the damages than Liberty was willing to pay. I got two more estimates which came in at $2,096.38 and $2,329.33. The two later estimates indicated that the estimate Liberty Mutual rejected was, in fact, fair and not excessive.

After reviewing other reviews posted about Liberty Mutual Insurance it seems that bad customer reviews must be good for their business. I get to choose which insurance company to protect me and my car but I don't get to choose the insurance company who is responsible to repair my car when someone else is responsible for the damage. The agent also tried to tell me that they had to reduce my deductible. There is no deductible on this property damage that happened on private property when my car was parked (not moving) and had no occupants in the car. I would never call Liberty Mutual for any Insurance. The advertising they will get from me will nullify many TV ads that are filled with promises of hot air. I may have to take the driver to "Small Claims" to recover the damages.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We were shocked when we received renewals on both these products (Car and Renters Insurance), having been with company for about 9/10 years, no claims, no accidents, we only have one car for recreation. As we are retired we put maybe less than 3,000 miles a year on this car. The hike was ridiculous. Not talking few dollars talking hundreds dollars. We were told, even though we don't and haven't had hail/storm damage ever, that there was an increase for both hail/storm damage.

When checking with another company our yearly premiums for both policies went down: Liberty was $2,624 compared with $1,563 for exact same cover and deductibles with another very reputable company. We were astounded in fact in shock, we had ignored the premium increases because it renewed automatically, but this year it was outrageous. Company not apologetic, didn't try offer discount for no claims and loyalty as a customer so we dropped them.

Other companies offer discounts for good driving and no claims. We got nothing from Liberty Mutual. My son was also insured with them and last year he dropped them because of their outrageous premiums. Please look around, compare, check online for reviews, you can use this site before you decide. Just because they are a big well known named company doesn't mean you will get the best deals, trust me we learned the hard way.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I recently acquired Liberty Mutual Car Insurance and agreed to participate in the Right Track Program. Over the past three months I have to say the program is seriously flawed for the following reasons: The program is based on offensive driving and not defensive driving. It appears that the program is based on rural driving in the countryside. It does not take into account that if you live in a city area where the traffic is more intense. The driver has to drive both as a defensive and offensive driver.

If someone cuts out in front of you, you have to apply the brakes. If you are approaching a traffic light on a busy highway and the light changes to yellow, traveling at 45 to 60 miles an hour, and you are about 200 to 400 feet away you have to stop. This program encourages driver in this program to adopt a bad behavior. That is to run the light and increase the potential for an accident just to avoid a hard stop and points deduction.

If you were to go to the store around the corner or go the gate entrance for your community to meet someone after midnight you are hit with a non-safe driving point deduction. How is this really non-safe driving? This program assumes that you are at home in bed, or an elderly person that should not be driving at night.

I went to pick up my daughter from school and traveled 112 miles one way. The system logged the total miles as one trip and I was hit with a credit deduction because I drove 212 miles total, to and from.

This has never happened before where a trip was logged as one trip and points deducted. I have driven this route several times and the distance was not logged as one. It was to and from. However, the program is not consistent. I have driven up to 300 miles one way and no points were deducted. I contacted Liberty Mutual Right Track Team, and I was told that it was right. However, she could not explain why the system totaled the trip miles to and from as one as opposed to the normal process, logged to and from miles separately.

I contacted the company about a hard stop with my car while at the service center. I sent the company the information, not the typical invoice from the service center, related to the hard stop, and it has been over 4 weeks and they have not resolved this issue. This information was verified by their system during the specified date and time period.

I drove my cars over a 4 to 6 week period without any hard stops, rapid acceleration, or night driving, and there was no credit for safe driving. However, when you drive the car to pick up your daughter, without no hard stops, fast acceleration, or night driving they deducted points. Or when I drove the car to the store or to the gate entrance to my house they would deduct points.

When I signed up for the car insurance I was quoted a price, and it was later revealed that it was approximately 15% more than what was quoted. I was told that they could not accept the information from my previous company regarding an accident where we were not at fault. Tell you anything just to get a sale. Again I have to say that this process is not realistic and does not take into account real-world driving. It is flawed. If you live in the countryside and the maximum speed limit is 30 then it would apply. I have been driving over 40 years and have not been involved in unsafe driving practices. A very clean record.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have a claim pending with Liberty Mutual and have been given a claims adjuster Jasmine. I have called and left voice mails not less than 7 times for her to call me, because she NEVER answers her phone. I have also sent faxes with our estimate of repairs stating it has been a month and we need to get the truck fixed. We still have not heard a word back from her. This has got beyond ridiculous that we cannot even get a callback!! Now I am having to turn this over to my insurance to take care of the repairs and collecting everything back from Liberty. (Liberty's driver got the ticket for being at fault). This means I get to pay the deductible and the rental while our truck is in the shop.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I've been driving for 46 years. Never had a claim filed against me, no traffic tickets in over 35 years. I recently switched last year to AARPs provider - Liberty Mutual - for the retirees' discount. Instead, I got an increase. I asked why the increase and they said older drivers have more accidents. Of course, I knew that was BS so I cancelled my policy. They did not want to cancel, saying that, as a "senior citizen" I needed a second approval to cancel.

I knew that was BS too, and that didn't work well for them, as I simply accessed my bank account and stopped the payments. In addition to the above I found their continual repetitive commercials particularly annoying, and I did not particularly want to contribute to their budget for TV and print ad commercials. So, goodbye and good riddance to Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Horrible company!! I paid twice as much as three other auto insurance companies. If you try and reach a representative, they will not call you back, unless you are calling for a new policy. I finally cancelled my policy and was told I did not owe them any more money - then of course they send me a bill for $160.00. The only time they will respond to you is if you owe them money!!! Paid $5,500 for one year, had no claims, then a rock hit my windshield, they would not approve OEM glass. They put in $100.00 piece of crap glass in my brand new Lexus. Worst company I ever had to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I have been shopping around for insurance and have found Liberty Mutual to be extremely high. I have been driving for 50 years and never had an accident or a ticket. I have a credit score over 800 and I’m a Credit Union member. I had saw on my credit union's website that they offered Liberty Mutual. I constantly receive emails and mailers telling me they can save me 600 dollars but when I got a quote they were 600 dollars more than the other quotes I was getting.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

We had Liberty Mutual for 3 years for auto and home. We have no accidents, zero claims, auto pay on time and have good credit. I reviewed my docs upon renewal and found our auto went up 46%. I was actually expecting it to go down since we removed one car and one driver from the policy at the renewal date. I called to ask why and was told that Liberty Mutual has had a lot of claims so they are increasing their rates across the board. I asked; "Why me?" and was told it did not matter whether I was an A+ rated customer without claims, etc. and there was nothing I could do about it.

I was told there were too many claims last year in my state and Liberty Mutual is to increasing rates to remain profitable. I informed them that their business model is flawed and they are forcing me to shop the policy because the price hike is too much to bear and I did not feel responsible in any way for the increase of 46%.

I ultimately secured a policy for my home and auto with another company and was able to purchase better coverages for less money than we were paying LM as it was before their 46% increase. Consumers and investors beware.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have used Liberty Mutual as my auto and homeowner carrier for 20 years. I filed an auto claim for the first time since using Liberty, and, by far, the worst experience imaginable. In a nutshell, my truck sustained bumper damage in a hit-and-run. I filed my claim, and Liberty sent my truck to one their alleged "accredited body shops" because Liberty said I could not use my own mechanic. As a result of this shop's negligence and poor workmanship, the hood was damaged while in this shop's care. When I returned my truck for the body to see the damage to my hood, they yelled at me and tried to convince me my truck was in a front-end collision. I left this shop shaken because I was alone, a female, and probably assumed to be too stupid to notice the shop's negligence.

The Liberty appraiser did agree there was a lot of damage to my hood that never existed before. Therefore, for a second time, I had to take time off from work to return my truck to the shop so they could fix the damaged hood and get another rental. During this process, I emailed and called Liberty Mutual 4 times with my concerns and to advise them I would in no way be responsible for any out-of-pocket expenses, including a rental car, due to this second incident. When I returned the rental, I had to pay my own money, even though I called my agent at Liberty 3 times, even while at the rental car company.

Never once, did a human being actually call me to address my concerns or reimbursed me for the money I paid for the 2nd rental. I sent an email to my agent's manager, and did not receive a response from him either. Furthermore, when calling LIberty, the voicemail gave me a litany of directions on how to download their app or use their website. I was never able to make contact with a live person at Liberty in this age of technology. I have never had a more unresponsive and unprofessional experience with any company in my entire life. Please save yourself the aggravation and shop around for another insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My husband and I had 3 cars insured by Safeco/LM and one of them, my 08 Accord was deemed totaled after my wreck. I didn't have a problem with that as I spoke with the mechanic at the body shop and he encouraged me to just have them take it away but also told me to get a certain amount from LM for it. Before I even had a conversation with a claims rep regarding price, LM just mails you an agreement that gives you the dollar amount they are willing to give to you for your totaled car. This amount comes with no market research whatsoever. They just hope that you take their low-ball number and walk away from your car. So my fight began.

I went through 2 claims reps before I actually got to speak to a "total damage claim rep" and she never answered my actual calls, just emails. So I emailed this gal saying that I wasn't going to accept the $6600 they wanted to give me. I could not go down the street and purchase my exact same Accord with the exact same features for $6,600. So I told her that their price was unacceptable and that I wanted to see their market research of how they were pricing Accords in the Columbus, OH market.

It wasn't until I demanded to see this research that they actually mailed to me another Agreement with another new higher price they were willing to give me, $7200. Now where they made another mistake was that they sent me 12 Accords priced in my city but they only highlighted the 3 lowest priced ones. I simply added all 12 prices up and divided that by 12 and it was an average of $8200. Once I presented this to my new claims rep, she stopped responding to me altogether. So I then had to go back to one of my original 2 claims reps and get this gal's manager's phone number. After having an interesting conversation with him to say the least, I had another Agreement/Contract in the mail with now my new price offer of $8400 which is exactly what my car was worth after my driving it for a year.

The bottom line is, no customer should be treated like this and given the runaround but these insurance companies just want to give you a low-ball price for your totaled car and hope that you don't push back in any way. So my advice to all consumers out there, don't accept these b.s. low-balled prices and start pushing back by telling these claims reps that it's unacceptable and that they need to provide you with all the market research on cars in your area and then start negotiating. Keep asking to speak to their manager if you have to and keep fighting the good fight. In the end, after I received my final claims check for $1,800 more than what they wanted to give me at the beginning of this process, we canceled our 3 car policies with LM and ended up going with Erie Insurance and saving $950/year... Seriously!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I've been a Liberty Mutual customer since 1998. My 23 year old son just bought a car and went on his own insurance with Liberty Mutual. Liberty charged him over $300/month for a $1000 deductible. He shopped around and was able to go to GEICO for $50/month with a $500 deductible. This prompted me to call GEICO to check our family rates.

I got the exact same coverage at GEICO and I saved $107/month. This netted in a $4282 savings per year for our family! Then when I called Liberty to cxl, they said I had to pay $181 short rate penalty for cxling 30 days after renewal. I called GEICO to see if they would cover and they said they couldn't BUT you can cxl anytime with GEICO and not get charged a fee to cxl. DO NOT USE LIBERTY - I cringe at HOW MUCH MONEY I have needlessly spent since 1998 with them. Ugh!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I was given one quote on August 20th of 2017. The rep never mentioned anything about RightTrack. Today, I receive a letter providing a new premium because I did not enroll in RightTrack. I should have been given 2 quotes, one with RightTrack, one without. Had this been done I would have not purchased the policy. The addition to the premium makes it higher than the the carrier I left for Liberty. Needless to say I am searching for a new carrier after being a Liberty Mutual customer for 3 weeks. Really unethical.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

My wife had her first accident in her life, and it was very minor. A scrape at 5 mph. Liberty Mutual informed us the accident was forgiven due to her safe driving record. When the renewal of my policy was received the rate increased by over $650 per year. I called and spoke to an agent who told me this was caused by an increase in the rate for drivers in New Jersey. I went online and learned there was no increase in Liberty Mutual rates this year in NJ.

I called again and asked to speak with a supervisor, who informed me that the increase was issued so Liberty Mutual could remain solvent and this was shared across all drivers. Again, not true. Each time I spoke to LM, I was given a long winded but untrue explanation of why my rates went up significantly but no attempt was made to lower my rates unless I agreed to a 90 day monitoring of my and my wife's driving, and even then the decrease was insignificant according to the first person I spoke to and then increased by the second. Time to go back to State Farm.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017
This case been mishandle things they want. The car should've been a total loss. To this day my car sitting in a body shop and haven't been touched or fixed. Now they're saying that at all $10,000 in storage fees. I just don't understand why if the car was never touched on Insurance company been giving me nothing but a
Runaround since day one. Today is 8/30/2017, I've been with loss of use of my vehicle when this vehicle is being used at what time for the car show... All of this been mishandled by the insurance company and the body shop and right now my car still sitting there after all these months. I want to pick up my car many times and I still haven't been able to get it because the body shop is saying that I owe them $10,000 for storage at Riverside Body & Fender Works 221 Valley street

Belleville N.J. 07109. Please how can you help me....

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Nice, easy, price is right and service matters to them. Very great rate on cars but not on houses. So use someone else for house and use them for cars. It still comes out a lot cheaper.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I was a satisfied customer for three years. No accidents no tickets. My renewal premium went from $222/month to $277/month for no reason. I called and dealt with three people who could have cared less if I was upset or worse if I left. I called State Farm and got a premium of $159/month. I don't get Liberty's business plan. Cheaper to keep customers than to acquire them.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

My 2004 Silverado 2500HD WT truck was totaled on 7/29/17. The estimate stopped at $6917.04 and noted my deduction and the total amount I should have been paid. The estimate did not include all that needed to be repaired. When I received the settlement offer I was shocked to see that I was only being offered "Average Trade-in" value of my vehicle. The settlement was $2,400 dollars less than the estimate. I utilized AutoTrader just as Liberty Mutual does and could not find the vehicles they were using. I did find trucks like mine the more than supported the retail value of the estimate. I have provided those vehicles to LM and asked to speak to a Team Leader to try and work this out.

I have left 2 voicemails on Tuesday and Thursday of last week with a promise that the call would be returned in 1 business day. In Friday I contacted LM and was told an email would be sent to the Team Leader and I would be contacted. To date I have not been contacted by any representative of LM other than the first adjuster. I have also contacted a local licensed estimator on the advice of legal counsel. He stated that the truck's retail value is $7,400. I am not asking for the moon. I want to be treated fairly and honestly and be paid the retail value of my truck.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky