2. Automotive
Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto

3.9/5 (871 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • Many customization options
  • Affordable

Cons

• Customer service difficulties
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual's auto insurance is ideal for those looking to buy affordable and customizable coverage online. The company offers an array of discounts and custom coverage options.

Top Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

They have your best interests at heart. They always cover things I am not sure will be covered. Also the premiums remain pretty steady, so I don't have to go looking for a cheaper...

Verified

I had to sign up, pay and it was a great experience for me. I like the way you can talk to them about what happen and they listen. Liberty is a pretty good company… Feels like fam...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Liberty Mutual car insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance provider with a broad range of auto policy coverage and benefit options. It offers some specialized and add-on coverage and significant discounts, as well as a user-friendly online policy management system.

What does Liberty Mutual car insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual’s most affordable package offers typical car insurance: bodily injury liability, property damage liability and uninsured motorist coverage. This basic coverage meets most auto insurance requirements, but you can choose from several additional coverages to round out your auto policy. Liberty Mutual's add-ons include:

• Medical payment
  • New car replacement
  • Better car replacement
  • Gap insurance
  • Teachers’ insurance

Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes and costs

Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its car insurance rates online, but you can inquire about services and get a quote on its website. Your policy rates depend on your age, location, driving record and more. We requested a quote for basic coverage for a 20-something driver with good driving history, and Liberty's easy-to-use quote generator suggested a package as affordable as $94.25 per month. The company also offers lots of discounts, including:

• Personal discounts: Deals based on your current situation, e.g., good student and homeowner discounts. Liberty Mutual also offers up to 45% off if you renew your policy before the current term is over.
  • Automobile discounts: If your car has unique properties, like anti-theft or energy-saving features, you can get discounts.
  • RightTrack: By using this tracking device and app program, you can get discounts for safe driving.
  • Policy discounts: Liberty Mutual offers several discounts for those who pay upfront or online and those who purchase multiple policies at once.

You can get a quote by filling out a quick form on Liberty Mutual's website, and from there you can customize your insurance package to get the coverage you need.

Liberty Mutual car insurance FAQ

Does Liberty Mutual have cancellation fees?
Yes, but only if you cancel before the end of your policy term.
Can you cancel car insurance at any time with Liberty Mutual?
Yes, you can call Liberty Mutual to cancel your policy (remember to ask what the fees are for canceling early).
Can I pay for Liberty Mutual insurance with my credit card?
Yes, you can pay with your credit card on Liberty Mutual's website.
Where is Liberty Mutual car insurance available?
Liberty Mutual auto coverage is available in 45 states, including Washington D.C.

Is Liberty Mutual car insurance good?

Yes, Liberty Mutual is a solid auto insurance company with relatively cheap rates and coverage you can customize to your needs. We like its easy-to-use website, its quote tool and the various discount options.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

The price is amazing and so much cheaper than the national leader with the same services. The customer service has been absolutely outstanding and the service is seamlessly integrated with Liberty Mutual's repair shops and adjusters.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Their policies are decent and the prices are too. In my area they’re cheaper than a lot of other insurance companies. They really do let you choose different types for your various needs such as boats and other vehicles. They were also wonderful during the pandemic of 2020.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Great rate for their homeowners. Cars another story. I am paying $400.00 less a month than I was paying them. That's a HUGE drop. I was paying them over $700.00 every month. Every company I got a quote from was literally $100s of dollars less than I was paying.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We have used Liberty Mutual for the past 4 years and they have been nothing less than excellent. Their customer service representatives are knowledgeable, always with a wonderful demeanor, responsive to the issues I have called about, and most of all the listen. Without exception, when I hang up, I know that the situation has been resolved. I never have had to make a followup call.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

My wife hit large pothole that caused severe damage to both right side wheels and suspension. Took to dealership service department for estimate. >$7,000 in damages. Reported incident to L.M Auto Claims dept. Sent detailed report from dealership. L.M sent check for $753 for refurbished wheels and 2 tires. Called Claims to correct shortage and policy states parts will be OEM. LM Claims dept told me not all parts on quote from dealership were needed and closed claim. I had them reopen and insisted they pay for all repairs listed by dealership for damaged/bent suspension and wanted OEM wheels, not refurbished. They stated that my policy had a clause that allowed them to use the refurbished wheels and their claims agent didn't see any additional damages. The agent never went to dealership to inspect.

We had the dealership service manager demand that LM send someone to inspect. Another person assigned to claim. They agreed to pay $3800 worth of suspension damages. I have a $500 deductible and have been a LM customer for over 10 years. This is the third claim that I have had with LM and they didn't pay the other claims either.

I will be reporting my 3 cases to the SC Insurance Commission. I urge everyone to look elsewhere for their insurance coverages. Liberty Mutual does not pay claims as represented in their policies. Liberty Mutual has been a horrible experience for me and has cost me 1 totaled vehicle that they refused to pay for. $43,000 in damage to kitchen due to pipe burst which they refused to pay anything on. And finally my wife's BMW damage that will be costing me $500 deductible (as expected) plus over $3,000 out of pocket to get vehicle restored to pre damaged condition. They are a horrible company and I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Why NOT to take your business to Liberty Mutual Insurance:

1) They hike up you premium rates at each renewal, even if you don't have an accident, a claim, a violation, never been late on your payments, NOTHING.

2) Apparently they got rid of their customer support: you are more likely to win the power ball jackpot than to find a number to call on their entire useless website.( with exception of the advertised number to join as a new customer (victim).

3) After you call the new customer # be prepared for a long painful runaround before you speak to anybody (have your blood pressure Meds in hand, and 911 on speed dial in case they give you a heart attack).

4)Website is useless with a stone age virtual assistant that has only a few generic questions already in the website. And there is no option for the BOT to find a live agent for ya.

5)When you finally speak with a live person, all I got from him as an explanation for my unwarranted premium hike...."I have no explanation other than the liberty's rates went up, and the discounts you had are no longer applicable!" (Bear in mind there was no changes whatsoever in my life from last year to this renewal: no accidents, claims, violations, nothing).

6) All this nightmare is me doing nothing not filling a claim. NOW think of yourself as liberty mutual future customer who is in a position where he needs to file a claim!! If you ever file a claim....well I refer you to reviews from people who have!! Read reviews from people who filed a claim with liberty and see how many stayed with them.... None!!.. Hell I'm looking for a new insurance and didn't even file any claims.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

So I have had my first claims with Liberty Mutual, what a nightmare with the claims department. I had spoken to 5 people in the claims department and zero resolutions and more of victim shaming. I was a victim in a horrible accident and Liberty Mutual is my insurance company. I have spent more than my deductible and I filed for reimbursement and I was told that I might be able to write that off on my taxes. The claims department has screwed up from the beginning by filing a abandon vehicle and kept my truck in private impound for 2 weeks. While my truck was in impound the so called adjuster sent my a fake estimate. This is a horrible company. I filed a complaint with the Arizona Department of Insurance.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was on a hit and run in February 2021. The driver was renting a car via TURO app. As Liberty Mutual was responsible they are not fixing my broken car. It’s been seven months and my adjuster is not answering my calls. I have a All State insurance and my adjuster is trying to reach out to liberty mutual adjuster and the adjuster is still not answering the calls. I have evidences. It hurts to see my car like that every time I drive.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Our vehicle broke down on the outskirts of town around 7pm. We called Liberty roadside assistance to get a tow. We were on the phone for 45 minutes. We told the person that we could get a ride home, and come back in the morning if it was easier since she seemed to be having trouble pinpointing our exact location & it was getting dark. She said we could make an appointment to meet the tow truck in the morning. She asked, "What time do you want them to be there?" We said 7:00 a.m. would be great! She said that was available. "I will set it up, and the tow truck will be there between 7 and 730."

My husband woke up next morning to go meet truck. We got 3 texts saying "We apologize for the delay. We are still working to secure service for your vehicle's needs. You should hear from us again shortly." Well, it's been 3 hours & there is supposedly a tow truck on the way. He is still an hour out. Oh, btw, we had to call SEVERAL times to get ANY info. Absolute incompetent company!! They told my husband that they were having trouble finding a company due to bad weather. LOL!! There's literally not a cloud in sight! Liiiieeeessss!!! We will be switching companies ASAP! LM has lost our business!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I guess all insurance companies are great if you never ever have to file a claim! Liberty Mutual, oops! I mean Safeco is the absolute worst insurance company on the planet! Stop throwing your policy premium payments into this Massive Black Hole! Cut your losses and get out! Before it’s too late!

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information