Compare Quotes and Save

Liberty Mutual - Auto
3.17/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1213 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I signed up for "Right Track", believing the program would help save me money in auto premiums, so their advertising says. I work from home M-Th and I do not use my vehicle at all. Yet I watch the "Projected Yearly Savings" change during the week to lower dollar savings amounts! It was $42, then $39, then $38. Then $37. No reason at all. The closer I got to the 90 days mark, the faster the amounts changed to lower amounts. All the "Latest Recorded Trips" over the weekend were accounted for. Yet, the $ savings amount arbitrary would change during the week while the vehicle sits in the garage. It's like someone is spinning a wheel and whatever dollar amount it lands on at that moment, is the lower amount of savings. Never higher amount of savings. ALWAYS lower - and the car is stationary! Plus, there's no rhyme or reason to their ratings of "Ok" "Good" "Great".

I drive from my house to the grocery store and back, 3 miles each way about the same time on Friday early afternoon. Traffic conditions the same, very few cars, usually no stopping. From my house, I can make it to the store without even stopping. My subdivision goes into a roundtable, and the few lights are usually green. Weather-wise, nothing out of the ordinary. No variations in my braking, or accelerating, (or driving between 12a and 4a), yet I get various ratings such as "ok" to "good" to "great". Calling Liberty Mutual, all I get for an answer is "the app is from a third-party"... It would appear I will be a very short-term customer of Liberty Mutual. I would have rather Liberty Mutual not offer this "incentive" versus experiencing what appears to be a scam. And not getting any answers from Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Because of a tragedy, I had to switch vehicles and also switch to a more reasonable Insurance Company. I called Liberty Mutual and told them that I'd like to pay in full any remaining balance with the assurance that I would not receive another bill at a later time because I am now in a dire need to help my mom at this time. I was put on hold to verify everything and to ensure that there would not be a future balance. So I paid in full. The rep assured me, with a chuckle, saying "There will only be a zero balance so you'll never see a withdrawal because you cannot see zero's". I asked her to document that. She told me she had already done - so. I paid the full balance over the phone.

Two weeks later I was alerted by my bank of a nonsufficient fund fee, due to a larger withdrawal from Liberty Mutual. (I thought about making sure that they could not withdraw bogus money before the 28th since that was my normal payment date). But Liberty Mutual withdrew money earlier, on the 14TH, which they had never done before. It was a totally different and made-up amount. I talked to the supervisor, who told me that she had no way to prove that I was told that I was paying the balance in full. I told her to read the notes. She told me that she did not see that in the notes. So I told her to listen to the recorded call and since her worker told me that it was paid in full, with no balance, that that should justify that I should be refunded money taken out of my account without my permission. I told her to listen to the recorded call. She told me that the calls are only recorded for a short time and then deleted.

I told her that it was less than a month. She said the calls are not saved. She kept repeating the same statement no matter what I said. And still refused to refund the money, saying that she is the supervisor and the manager and no one is over her and that that they'll speak to the original worker's supervisor to tell on that worker. After many many calls, she decided only to return the nonsufficient bank fee of $19, but not the made-up sum of money withdrawn from my acct without my permission and without notice. I just saw a commercial on TV from them. Now I see how they're paying for those expensive commercials. BEWARE of Liberty Mutual!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Terrible experience. On October 2018 my children was taking me out to dinner for my birthday. A vehicle struck us from the Back. The owner of the vehicle they hit us from behind, Hopped out and ran Through the bushes leaving his car at the scene. Police arrived on the scene. My son and daughter-in-law vehicle was towed to Mutual Liberty mechanic shop. We were told that the vehicle is totaled out. Now Mutual Liberty does not want to pay! I hired attorney. We are the victims. This is a very terrible company. I would not recommend them to anyone. Some people might I had good experience with Mutual Liberty but we’re having terrible experiences with Mutual Liberty. My son and daughter-in-law has been paying for their policy over a year now. It comes directly out of their checking account.

We was hit from behind. We was not at fault. Mutual Liberty would do anything to get out of paying you. It was my birthday. I’m very upset with this company. Both of them have jobs. They’re down to one car now. They have little kids who has to go to school. They need their jobs so they need their vehicle to keep their jobs. Does that make sense? This company does not even care. Terrible terrible terrible company. The investigators a terrible. The agents are terrible. They’re ridiculous. They transfer you to this person. That person is seems to me that they like to take people money and can’t stand up when if something goes wrong. They say on TV if you get into a car accident and you’re with Mutual Liberty they’ll pay you for another car. This is Facts. They are a terrible company! This is so stressful. What are we paying insurance for and we are the victims!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

After being involved in a simple fender bender, where a Liberty Mutual client was at fault for rear ending my vehicle. I submitted the claim, provided all the information, details of incident, those involved, contact numbers and 2 whole months later I cannot receive an update from my assigned adjuster along with his manager. I have called numerous times where the first contact representative tells me it seems they are trying to reach their client but unable to.

Let me give it away, Liberty Mutual. You cannot reach your client because your client was at FAULT. I have not received any information on how long it will take for them to stop trying to reach their own client so that I can get my car repaired. 2 months is a very long time for me to get an adjuster on the line. Not only can I not get to speak with my assigned adjuster. I am unable to reach my adjuster's manager and any other available adjuster at that. How is this acceptable? I will move forward to get a lawyer involved.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Stayed with Liberty Mutual exactly for 1 day, over which they decided to double my premium compare to their original quote. Hah? They said the change was "based on your driver's record". I thought my driver's record was pretty decent, so I called and learned that the violation for which they wanted to charge me extra $2400 a year was a speeding (40/35) ticket from 3.5 years ago. I asked how they came up with $2400 sum, and how long I would have to pay the extra premium, and they said they calculate it based on a violation's severity and it lasts for 5 years.

So, if I stayed with them all these 5 years I'd be charged additional $12000 which is, coincidentally, the price of my whole car. And I don't even know, based on a severity, what could it be for, say, 50/35??? I switched to Progressive and pay now even less than LM's initial quote. Apparently the interpretation of "severity" just depends on how greedy the insurance company is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Contacted Liberty sales office for 3 vehicles and 1 home. I received 4 different quote from the same office in Arizona location. I asked the agent Jack ** why there is a discrepancies in pricing, he replied, " I don't know. It is all computerized". I had my domestic partner contact the same agent and she received a substantial price reduction. Does anyone regulates the Insurance industries?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was recently in a hit and run. The insurance company was great. They scheduled a session with the repair company and asked if I needed a rental. They followed up a couple days later saying the police caught the person and they were working on getting my money back for me.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I came to Liberty Mutual after being a lifelong Nationwide customer. Nationwide tried to fob me off on another insurance company because they could not provide me with comprehensive insurance. Not only was Liberty able to get me what I needed, but they were also cheaper and had better coverage. I also like that their policies are for 12 months instead of 6, this allows me to lock in the price for the year rather than taking a chance that it increases. So far I am glad that I switched and I wish I had done it sooner, they have been great and it was so easy to sign up and review their policies.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

After being with Allstate for 20 years, we decided to try and save some money on auto insurance. Liberty Mutual offered a 30% reduced rate from what we were currently were paying. The agent asked if either of our cars had any damage from previous accidents and my wife explained that the back bumper on one of the cars had a small scratch on the rear bumper cover. Apparently that car was supposed to be inspected to review the damage which we forgot to do. On 10/27/18 we get a notice in the mail explaining that the car that was supposed to be inspected was no longer covered by Liberty Mutual for failing to have the minor scratch inspected. The letter also states that coverage was suspended on 10/17/18 meaning that we've been driving the car uninsured for 10 days now!!! No calls, no e-mails... NOTHING during that time!!! Stay far away from this nightmare company. Switching back to Allstate Monday!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was a Liberty Mutual customer for about 3 years. No accidents, no claims, same vehicles, good credit, etc. Did their RightTrack program and was told both my wife and I have excellent driving habits and expect discounts of around 20%. Guess what?! Yearly insurance bill comes due and they raised our rates by 45%! After many attempts to get an explanation all I was told was that outside factors out of my control led to the increase. How slimy and unethical!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Got ripped off on the claim for my auto damage. Due to the age and auto body estimate they totaled my auto. They then offered payment that that was nearly three times lower than my model. Trouble was they weren't basing on what my particular model was worth. When I researched the model on my own they told me that it wasn't the correct model. To quote their TV advertisement I didn't get the wrong insurance. I got the wrong insurance company. Canceled my auto and home insurance immediately.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This was my 4th year with LM and I just checked my latest rate increase. Wow. Over the last 2 year period, my rates went up over 70% for auto, home & personal liability. If you have LM double check your monthly charges. If you are looking to switch to LM... DON’T. LM advertising should get away from photos near the Statue of Liberty and start photo ops of Liberty Mutual Management wearing Orange DOJ jumpsuits. They certainly have been stealing my money and they all deserve some jail time.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

After 20 years...they made hard to get out of this company, failed to cancel my policy and after many months trying to get separated from this company and complaining with BBB. Finally they "accepted" that I decided to go in different direction since they didn’t compensated as stipulated on paper. They changed policy without my knowledge, raises the price “cause company needs”, put me on collections few months after I got separated from this insurance company... Uninsured motorists "supposed" was covering $25.000... Well, I had an accident on 01/2017 while they were my insurance company.

The person responsible of the accident wrecked two automobiles at the same accident. Her insurance was ACCC which is another ripoff??? Then my lawyer Duncan **, John **... didn’t fight my case. Just asked LM for a "offer" ... which wasn’t even a quarter of the $25,000.00. So Liberty Mutual doesn’t really compensate as stipulated in papers. False expectations are offered... Loyalty isn’t true for this company.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I've been with Liberty Mutual for 2 years. I pay for 6 months at a time. We just received the renewal rate and everything had doubled!! No accidents, no changes in policy, nothing extra added, NOTHING. Of course when you ask them they say they don't know and will get back to you. After contacting them 2 more times over a 4 day period, the agent had pawned us off on someone else and cc'd me on the email. This email also included "Don't worry about checking Kevin's. This didn't go up that much." How unprofessional. They are crooks and I recommend you stay far away from them.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The agent called us to offer us a one-year payment option with a fairly good rate, but he did not tell us there is a program we had to participate in order to get the rate. We did not like the program, so we decided not to participate. The agent did not let us make the one-year payment choice as he promised. We had to pay half year first. The next half year payment increased about $100. We cannot reach the agent, and no one willing to adjust the rate to the yearly rate promised initially, so we canceled the policy before renewal date.

Now we received a balance of $35 for the program we didn't participate (no one ever told us anything about the program ). We were tricked into buy the policy. The agent should inform us about the program according to the Liberty Mutual policy, but he didn't. We called a couple of times to communicate with Liberty Mutual, but we still have to pay the balance. This is not fair for us to pay. Then the Liberty Mutual will send us to the collection if we do not pay the balance. We think the Liberty agent gave us a false quote to trick us to buy. Be careful to buy from Liberty Mutual, you may trick into a lower rate ended up to pay more.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Photos don't seem to sway this Claims Dept. They Sandbag and refuse to pay. Photos clearly show damage did not reflect their Client's story. They're a last-chance high-premium insurer that takes the dregs of the Driver pool. AVOID! The Claims Adjuster pretty much said I could go "pound sand"...actually refused to promote my Claim to her supervisor. I had to Google the Corporate headquarters and email the President myself. Awful Customer Service.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have had Liberty Mutual for many years. This spring I called customer service to complain about my rates going up and a special adviser found that the agent making a commission on my account raised my insurance the previous year unnecessarily. She refunded me hundreds of dollars. I trusted her and had her direct number for any new problems. When the next time I called, everything changed and this helpful person was no longer reachable, but she did still work there. My next issue came when I bought a new vehicle because my old one was overheating and a mechanic said it would be a 3 week wait to repair and I should find another mechanic if I needed my car immediately. I did need it but bought another one because I was already searching for a vehicle that could tow my new travel trailer.

Here comes the problem: when I insured the new vehicle I asked to lower the rate on the broken one that would just sit in my driveway until I found someone else to fix it. This agent told me she could put the vehicle in storage to save $$ BUT SHE DIDN'T TELL ME THAT MEANT TURNING THE TAGS IN!!! Who in their right mind would turn their tags in and then have to re-register their car and all that hassle and expense.

Of course Maryland penalized me for not having insurance. I got my car fixed by a friend 10 days later and called to put the insurance back up. Maryland ended up charging me $150 for the lapse in coverage, but Liberty Mutual said too bad, not our fault our agent misinformed you. I paid the charge and am shopping for a new company, and what do you know, just today the agent who raised my rates to make a higher commission, called me to give me a better deal that would cost me more. Lord have mercy, the greed and incompetence is overwhelming.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Switched to Liberty Mutual in April 2018 and am very happy I did. Saved 350.00 on my annual premium for auto and homeowners insurance. I made the switch online which was simple thru their website. I needed to call to confirm a few things with customer service. They were very friendly and efficient.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I got insurance in 5/2018. I was quoted an amount and told that the premium wouldn’t change for 1 year. Within several months my premium more than doubled for no reason. They sent me a NC consent to pay higher rate form and I didn’t sign it. The next thing I know they cancelled my collision without notifying me and how I found out was the vehicles have loans on them so the bank notified me. If I would have had an accident and had no insurance and wasn’t aware what would have happened??? So I signed the form having no choice and now they have raised the premium again. I paying 5,700 a year for car insurance. This company is a joke. Never use them for car insurance.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Several years ago, I dropped another major insurance carrier and switched my auto coverage to Liberty Mutual. I have been so pleased with Liberty Mutual overall that I've stayed with them ever since. They offer excellent customer service and expedient claims processing. Their insurance premiums are competitively priced and the overall coverage is excellent.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Liberty Mutual Insurance is the last place you want to buy automobile insurance. They spend so much money on their relentless TV advertising, that they try to screw you out of any legitimate claim you may have. They've got a lot of nerve showing the Statue of Liberty in the background. They are anything but caring for the masses... My wife had a major car accident a few years back and they tried to buy us off with only replacing lost pay. She needed major surgery on her collarbone and all they wanted to give us was a few hundred dollars. Had to sue them to get the money they actually owed us. In the end we got $250,000 for her surgery and pain/suffering. Beware of any insurance company that runs so many ads on TV. They're desperate for clients and WILL try to screw you in the end. Don't trust them!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

They have increased rates on cars and home. I have called to ask questions and they give me some BS about rates. One claim filed on house for hail damage and they did not cover it. All of the neighbors on our street had roofs replaced. Paying over $11000.00 in premiums and never have used insurance other than the one time. They are crooks.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

On September 12 a Safeco insured motorist sideswiped our truck while attempting to pass back into our lane. The Safeco motorist got a ticket from the Colorado State Patrol for unsafe lane change while distracted. The Liberty Mutual adjuster for Safeco, Kristen **, has repeatedly stonewalled our claim. Now she will not return calls or emails. Frustrated beyond belief.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The first year after the insurance agent wrote this, they made it seem like it was awesome until the renewal came. No accidents, no tickets, no changes and the premium DOUBLED. When we questioned it, they became belligerent. Of course, they aren't wouldn't return calls. The main number, re girl just kept reading a canned response over and Over. Finally it was like talking to a robot so we hung up. My husband received a call back from the woman's boyfriend WHO DID NOT WORK FOR LIBERTY MUTUAL asking him went be was rude to his girlfriend. HOW UNPROFESSIONAL IS THAT??? She gave out our personal information to get boyfriend. Stay far far away from Liberty Mutual. Desperately trying to find a different company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

In 2012 my small car stopped, waiting to turn left. I was perfectly legal, in a turn lane. A 50,000 lb truck took the turn behind me too fast and jackknifed. Putting the pedal to the metal, the truck driver tried to power out of the jackknife and escape oncoming trucks by taking the same left turn I was waiting for. He got my car from behind and pushed it through the intersection & up the road, destroying it. It was towed to a local body shop, who declared it a total loss. Without my knowledge, Liberty had it towed many miles to a “Liberty Auto Body Shop” There they wasted over $10,000 making it look OK from the outside. When we picked it up, gas fumes filled the cockpit, sickening us and causing a fire hazard.

Eventually they fixed the gas line but other safety hazards were ignored. Once the L rear break froze, causing an uncontrolled spin at freeway speeds and again sickening us with fumes. It has cost more in repairs than the car was worth and remains unsafe at any speed. Parts, like steering, keep failing. I’m scared to drive it. Liberty should have replaced it but instead used deceptive practices - like fixing it in stages so no one repair was more than 1/2 the total value.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Just go a notification of a rate increase from ~1250/year to over $1700/year? No explanation. Would be nice to get some reason of why the huge increase with no claims filed. I have never filed a claim with Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My dad, who is 88 years old, has been a customer of Liberty Mutual for 24 years (since 1994). This year he was late on his monthly premium and they cancelled his policy on August 19. There was a medical emergency on our end that prevented us from getting his mail in a timely manner but his premium was paid on Sept 12. I called, and spoke with a resolution expert, and asked if they can reinstate his policy until his policy expires in Nov 2018 and she said no. They will have to rewrite him a new policy because it's been more than 30 days since his insurance lapsed.

So when I asked what the cost would be for a new policy, they quoted a price of over $3000 for a 1995 Chrysler town and country. The previous annual rate for this same vehicle was $1757. What a scam for someone who has been a customer for over 24 years and is 88 years old. We also received a quote from a competitor for a little over $1700 which is the one we will sign up with.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was with State Farm two years ago and boy am I mad I changed my providers after dealing with these guys. Two years ago my car got hit when I was with State Farm. They marked it up as a complete loss 'cause the cost to fix it was going to be more than they were willing to pay to fix it so I park it in my driveway and took the insurance off. Got a letter from DMV saying they would suspend the registration if it didn't have liability on it. At the time I had a 92 Buick covered from Liberty Mutual so I went ahead and added the car on. In total I was paying 109 for renter and 2 cars. I sold my Buick and kept my Jaguar with just the liability. I moved not even 15 miles from when I had the insurance and it went up to 121. I called and they explained to me that the rates are based on the area you live. Strike 1.

Then after about 6 months it went back down to 83. Ok that's fine so I just paid them on the Sept 18 and end up getting into a crash on the 22 so I called them. They told me no need to file a claim seeing that, "You are not at fault," so I was like, "Ok so then." The other insurance company came and looked at my car and declared it was complete loss so I called my insurance to cancel the policy. I asked them what kind of refund would I get back. They told I would not be getting anything back. I was like, "How is that if I just paid you on the 18th?" They told me, "The way they bill you is for the month before." What kind of sense does that make? Total rip off and waste of my time and money.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have two cars newly insured in this program. One is never used, just sits in the parking garage 24/7. The other car I drive very carefully...like a limousine driver. Slowly approaching traffic lights, and pulling away slowly. Still...the "Right Track" device detected one acceleration event which must have been from a neighborhood speedbump (actually undifferentiated vertical acceleration), and two braking events in the 700 miles I drove in 90 days. Believe me! I drive so very slowly that peeps are always annoyed that they have to drive around me so that they can brake hard at the stoplights ahead of me. I am too cheap and have balance issues with my back and neck that prevents me from driving harshly. Still...the program managed to penalize me 20% for the one car that I do use, and 10% for the car just sitting there not moving.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I received a personal invitation by mail from Liberty Mutual claiming that they will save me $509. When I called in and they took all my info they said to match the policy you have already with your insurance company. We charge 1400$ per year. Why would I pay more. I am paying $928 per year. Fake fake fake advertising.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky