Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Liberty Mutual - Auto
1.44/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers competitively priced car insurance products along with special coverage options and discounts. Happy customers appreciate how easy it is to switch to Liberty Mutual from another provider. The company has an easy online platform to get a quote and sign up for a new policy.

PROS

• Offers accident forgiveness and new car replacement
  • RightTrack encourages good driving behavior
  • Well-established company with 100+ years of insurance experience
  • User-friendly website
  • Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund helps you save up for your deductible

CONS

• Some customers experienced an increase in rates
  • Discounts not available in all states

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Customer service can be slow and you have to stay on them to get a claim resolved. Follow up phone call are needed and if you don't your claim can be delayed. Other than that I'm happy with my insurance agent. He gets back to me in a timely manner and is always available to answer my questions.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

They do a good job--they process endorsement quickly, advance notice of payments, and if there is storms in our area they asked we have claim to report. Handle claims quickly and follow-up asking if there are any question or repair undone. They are available 24-7 and that is important. We are in our third year with them and will be staying.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I came to be a member of the Liberty Mutual family years ago. I had a previous insurance company that increase my policy due to my wife bad driving whom was on my policy. After learning of the increase I contacted Liberty Mutual and was given a great rate for the family. I have made a claim on my insurance company and they were very helpful in the process and finalizing the process. I feel they truly have done a great job for me.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had LM policyholder pull out in front of me and I hit him. They were absolutely great to me man. I was super nervous that they were going to somehow blame me for it. Not at all. They super nice from the first phone call. I believe Nicole was her name. Super caring and helpful. The claim adjuster Roger was freaking awesome too. Much love to Liberty Mutual for doing the right thing!! Much appreciated.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I fled another insurance company who canceled my insurance after a claim for damages by a wild animal. The damage was repaired but the insurance company sent me a notice that they were not renewing my policy even though I had been paying premiums for 15 years. Liberty Mutual is stand up and a star in the service department. Receptive, understanding and very customer friendly if you get the right agent and not a phone bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I got Liberty Insurance renters and auto insurance in 2014 after being referred to one of their agents by the bank who provided my auto loan. I had no accidents or derogatory marks to my driver's license for the bulk of the time I was with them; however, my premium rose substantially each year and they told me it is because of the state I live in although my vehicle was only getting older. And my family and friends who had other insurance for vehicles in the same state had steady reductions to their rates year after year.

By the time I finally left them in 2019, my premium was MORE THAN DOUBLE what I was originally paying, even though the value of my vehicle had decreased significantly. After my policy was canceled, Liberty Mutual was quick to send my remaining balance to a collection agency, not giving me the opportunity to pay it to them; the collection agency also reported it to the credit bureaus right away, which I am currently disputing.

When I did have an accident in late 2018, their response was almost laughable. The ACCIDENT FORGIVENESS THEY ADVERTISE IS A SHAM - they tried to write off the vehicle as a total loss (which it wasn't and would have left me with only enough to get a much lesser vehicle - thank goodness my mechanic convinced them otherwise) and didn't pay enough while the vehicle was being repaired to get a rental, even though this was part of the policy. All this after I was a loyal customer for over five years and even referred a friend when I initially got the insurance with them (which I regret). After reading the policy further, I also realized their renter's insurance barely covered anything. The agent I was originally referred to there by my bank left shortly afterward, and if they treat policyholders this way, I'm sure they treat their employees badly too.

After I left them, I easily found another insurance company that charges me almost half of what they were charging me for full comprehensive insurance in the same state, and I convinced my friend that I referred earlier, who also expressed his unhappiness with the company, to leave them as well. I did my research and called around, which took less than an hour - I'm not into talking reptiles and boxes or comic relief on bundling to help me choose something as serious as an auto insurance provider; of course, the companies with these types of commercials are not targeting informed consumers and aim for a demographic that would more like to be entertained than do research, so I wasn't surprised they offered the highest rates of the companies I contacted. To sum it up, Liberty Mutual has been a gyp and headache.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

This is a completely dishonest company. You will get a quote, and trust me, you need to read the fine print and DO NOT listen to the salesperson whatsoever. In my case I did not want the drive wise program or whatever they call it. The salesman said, No problem. Just don't sign that box, it's an extra discount if you do, but no problem if you don't." 3 weeks later, I get an extra bill for $102. I call them to explain what happened, they acknowledge what happened, and basically said they don't care. I take this as basically bait and switch business practices.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

If I can give them no stars I would. They are a horrible company. I wish I never ever chose them. They will side rail you at any given time and will ruin your credit on you do not I mean do not go with them. You will regret it. Trust me.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Was a faithful customer of Liberty Mutual for over 30 years, until I got roadside assistance. I had no idea they were considering a roadside assistance an actual at fault claim until they cancelled my policy for too many roadside assistance requests.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Where do you even begin with an insurance company as terrible as Liberty Mutual? I purchased a motorcycle policy which was in effect for A TOTAL OF 9 DAYS. I cancelled the policy because it covered a motorcycle financed by an abusive manchild that I was lucky enough to escape from with my life. My insurance agent, being an insensitive, predatory, absolutely awful agent, had the audacity to call and repeatedly ask me for my abusive ex's phone number (though I immediately told her WHY I cancelled his policies), because she so desperately wanted to sell him her snake oil insurance and make a few dollars off of my misery.

Despite repeatedly telling her that I was NOT giving her his phone number so that she could go try to cut him a deal, she continued to try to get me to give her his contact info and convince me that she just wanted to check up with him about insurance and make sure he was safe and covered! (WHO DOES THAT!? What kind of insurance agent tries to convince a victim of abuse to think about how her poor abuser might be down and out with no insurance!?) She went as far as repeatedly calling me back, trying to get his number, when I told her it wasn't going to happen and hung up on her. GROSS. THEN I find out that Liberty Mutual went and billed my payroll nearly $600, when I have ONE policy that costs $134/month.

I call them. They say they made an accounting error. I wait a day for them to fix it and then I call back. They tell me, "oh, sorry, none of this is making any sense. We can't figure out how you've been charged SO MUCH because even if you'd paid the motorcycle policy you cancelled for the entire year, it shouldn't have come out to this sum of money. We're going to escalate this to our IT department, turns out it's an IT error, not an accounting error." I wait a day and call them back.. They can't figure it out. For weeks I call and get hung up on while waiting ridiculously long amounts of time on hold. No one has any answers, no one calls back when their line disconnects. Garbage customer service fails are just adding up and adding up, while I'm sitting here unable to afford groceries because these hacks billed 5 months worth of insurance from my PAYCHECK in one month.

I keep trying to find out where my money is and what is going on, I've lost 10lbs and I want to eat some time this year. FINALLY, I get through and they try to tell me they've made no error and that motorcycle insurance can't be cancelled during certain times of the year without having to pay a MASSIVE amount of money. When I bought the policy, I was not informed of this. When I cancelled the policy, I was not informed of this. I never signed any documentation for the full coverage motorcycle insurance that I had, again, for A TOTAL OF 9 DAYS and for which I was charged nearly the ENTIRE YEARS' POLICY AMOUNT. I could literally have paid it for MONTHS, THEN cancelled it and would have shelled out LESS money. The best part is, the first 4 people I talked to told me that even with the prorated policy charge for cancelling, I should NOT have been charged the amount that I was charged.

So, I'm told a half dozen times there's been an error, I was overcharged, they're going to fix it, they're just struggling to find their errors, etc. But today, they suddenly say they've made no error and that it makes all the sense in the world why they would charge me nearly $600, and why no one would ever tell me anything about these ridiculous charges and that, despite every agent beforehand saying that there was an error with the billing, now there was no error made.

So, here I am, after being robbed over $1000 by my abusive ex, out another $600 for his motorcycle policy that barely ever existed because Liberty Mutual agents are incapable of doing math and fixing their errors. On top of that, they've been nothing but awful throughout the entire 7 weeks of dealing with this. Liberty Mutual: garbage policies, terrible rates, awful customer service, predatory woman-abuse-defending fools. The company is a fraud and their agents are HACKS.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky