Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Liberty Mutual - Auto
1.23/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers competitively priced car insurance products along with special coverage options and discounts. Happy customers appreciate how easy it is to switch to Liberty Mutual from another provider. The company has an easy online platform to get a quote and sign up for a new policy.

PROS

• Offers accident forgiveness and new car replacement
  • RightTrack encourages good driving behavior
  • Well-established company with 100+ years of insurance experience
  • User-friendly website
  • Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund helps you save up for your deductible

CONS

• Some customers experienced an increase in rates
  • Discounts not available in all states

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

1338 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had LM policyholder pull out in front of me and I hit him. They were absolutely great to me man. I was super nervous that they were going to somehow blame me for it. Not at all. They super nice from the first phone call. I believe Nicole was her name. Super caring and helpful. The claim adjuster Roger was freaking awesome too. Much love to Liberty Mutual for doing the right thing!! Much appreciated.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I fled another insurance company who canceled my insurance after a claim for damages by a wild animal. The damage was repaired but the insurance company sent me a notice that they were not renewing my policy even though I had been paying premiums for 15 years. Liberty Mutual is stand up and a star in the service department. Receptive, understanding and very customer friendly if you get the right agent and not a phone bank.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have had the RightTrack (ODBC II) port for about 3 weeks. I also have a wide-angle front and rear dashcam that keeps time-stamped video and audio. After seeing about 6 acceleration events (at that time no braking events), I decided to pull the video and watch it from 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the stated time. I managed to see (guess) what caused the acceleration event. It was this: I was travelling on a limited access roadway just after 5 am, and on cruise control set right around 52 mph.

As the grade of the road changed to a slight uphill, the transmission shifted into a lower gear to maintain speed. (There was no acceleration. The cruise control merely properly maintained speed.) This caused 3 acceleration events (somehow) to be recorded in one minute intervals. I have since stopped using cruise control, and allow the vehicle to slow down on (even gentle) uphill slopes. Since that time, 2 braking events were recorded that never really happened. I will be pulling the video on those later. I have to agree with the posters that said there is a problem in the Right Track technology. Most of the events it records will be spurious.

I also did a little more experimentation. It appears to measure acceleration and braking along two completely separate vectors. The data I have collected suggest that an event is registered if either vector boundary is crossed. One vector is the rate of change of the speedometer needle (this also should be the same as the rate of speed change on the drive wheels). In order to test this, you would need access to a dynamometer. (Device used to test emissions with older vehicles.) The mileage increase with the vehicle on a dynamometer is registered by the RightTrack device, and therefore actual vehicle movement is not required. Use of a dynamometer isn't advised, however, because unlike in an actual road situation, the wheel speed can alter dramatically quickly in this situation, and result in both braking and acceleration events due to its measurement of the "wheel speed" vector.

The other vector appears to be engine speed, or i.e. rapid RPM changes. This can also trigger as acceleration or braking events independently of changes in the drive wheel's rotational speed. Other than simply starting the program, and then not driving the car for 3 months, (which is usually not an option), the best bet is to plan your routes so that you drive fairly long distances on limited access roads. Avoid local routes where the density of start/stop per unit mile is high. Try to reduce the event per mile density. All that said, I can’t complain about the way the program is set up. Even if I only get the 5% minimum, it will carry forward for the life of the vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I came to Liberty Mutual after being a lifelong Nationwide customer. Nationwide tried to fob me off on another insurance company because they could not provide me with comprehensive insurance. Not only was Liberty able to get me what I needed, but they were also cheaper and had better coverage. I also like that their policies are for 12 months instead of 6, this allows me to lock in the price for the year rather than taking a chance that it increases. So far I am glad that I switched and I wish I had done it sooner, they have been great and it was so easy to sign up and review their policies.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Several years ago, I dropped another major insurance carrier and switched my auto coverage to Liberty Mutual. I have been so pleased with Liberty Mutual overall that I've stayed with them ever since. They offer excellent customer service and expedient claims processing. Their insurance premiums are competitively priced and the overall coverage is excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have been with Liberty Mutual since 2017 and they ripped me off for having one speeding ticket and no driving history in US. Since then I never got a ticket and no violations, gained driving experience and history in US without any accident but they kept increasing my premium year on year and this year they made it from 250 to 286 to 320 now, per month. When questioned it, the stupid response I got is that the number of vehicles are increasing on road...wtf...(then the premium received by insurance companies also increases), such a BS reasoning by their rep. I tried staying with them if they revise my rates but it was only going upwards according to their ridiculous calculation lol. Then, GEICO gave me the policy last month for 150, yes 150 per month. Stay away from Liberty as they hang up while on call a lot and sketchy as** company. Insurance business on the whole is a mess. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Liberty Mutual is easy to switch to with competitive rates and excellent online portal. HOWEVER, you have to watch every email from them, as a couple times each year, I will get a notice that my automatic monthly payment is DOUBLING. I have to call them each time and work through why they are increasing my rates. Each time, I have to sign up for something additional or correct a mistake in their system. If I don't catch that 15 days in advance of when the automatic draft is occurring, they enforce a higher payment for that month. The last time this happened, even though they said they couldn't do it, when I threatened to remove automatic draft and deny that month's payment, they changed it back to the lower payment.

That time, the rate increase was because they were adding my adult son to our insurance policy (automatically, without calling or asking us). We had a separate policy set up for him. Apparently, we were to have filled out a form guaranteeing that he does not live with us. I was not told we would need to fill out the form and missed seeing it in my snail mail. Rather than calling or emailing me to inform me they were changing my policy, they added him to our policy and the payment doubled. They only emailed me to let me know the payment was changing. The email was within 15 days of the auto draft. However, they said they were unable to change the auto draft unless it was more than 15 days out (until I threw a fit).

Another time, they increased my rate due to a "general rate increase." I was able to sign up for the Right Track driver recording program and save money. I feel like I have to be a detective to do business with Liberty Mutual and am working to move my business to another company. They entice you with great rates and then do everything in their power to change them as often as possible. I regret having ever done business with them.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I am a auto repair shop and had liberty business insurance for 2 years. I was wrongfully sued for $30000. I immediately tried to inform liberty of suit and date of trial. The representative I talked to over dozen times gave me endless runaround. They gave me zero support or advice. I went to court alone. They wouldn’t help me at all. I was paying them $19000 dollars a year and I feel they basically stole my money. I have had auto repair shop for over 20 years and never been sued before. I have a Yelp rating of 4.8. Liberty insurance is total RiPOFF. The worst experience of my life. During this very stressful ordeal liberty mutual sends me a letter they no longer provide business insurance. Every time I see their BS commercials on tv it gets me upset again. I can’t explained the how much I dislike them and how horrible a company they are. Thanks for letting me vent Bill.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

So, they might give you a quote surprising you. You insert your traffic violations and all, and they give you the quote. You think to yourself, "Oh wow, it's a lot lower than I would've thought." "They really do save you money." But this is where they 'GET YOU'. Your first payment goes through, and then the next day you get an email saying your premium has gone up. If you have more than 2 traffic violations expect your premium to go up by $2,000.00. 4 or more traffic violations and you can see your premium going up more than $3,000.00. There is a reason this company has a one star. And it's for their BS premiums after the fact that you already received a quote. You will be paying more for insurance than a monthly car payment after they run a nail through you.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

LM offers roadside assistance. It is now 6:50 PM. I have been waiting since 3:08. I am located in Atlanta, on a major thoroughfare. Going on 4 hours. It's 100 degrees outside. I called several times, they say 40 mins, "do you want us to call someone else and start the 90 mins again." No I do not. 40 mins though has become 2 hours. Don't waste your $$. Today's date is 8/12/2019.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky