2. Automotive

Liberty Mutual - Auto
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5
Based on 1,471 ratings submitted in the last year

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Great rate for their homeowners. Cars another story. I am paying $400.00 less a month than I was paying them. That's a HUGE drop. I was paying them over $700.00 every month. Every company I got a quote from was literally $100s of dollars less than I was paying.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We have used Liberty Mutual for the past 4 years and they have been nothing less than excellent. Their customer service representatives are knowledgeable, always with a wonderful demeanor, responsive to the issues I have called about, and most of all the listen. Without exception, when I hang up, I know that the situation has been resolved. I never have had to make a followup call.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Customer service is always easily reachable. I use the phone or email. They are helpful with accidents. One time my husband had someone rear end him on the highway. We tried to get the other person's insurance cover, but was always a delay. Thus kept us waiting to get the vehicle fixed. Liberty Mutual had us go ahead and fix the vehicle, they took care of the bill and went after the other insurance company afterwards. One slight negative is whenever we make an adjustment on the car insurance we get new insurance cards mailed out whether or not they are needed, I think just adds to the cost of the insurance. They offer many ways to pay the bill.

Original review: July 29, 2020

There is no perfect car or homeowners insurance company, but I have been totally pleased with Liberty Mutual the last 20 years. Easily approachable, quick response and adjusters if needed for a claim, with quick claim payments. Received a rebate due to Covid, but most car insurance companies are doing the same.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I was first attracted to them with their monthly price and accident forgiveness. I was a little irritated when they raised my rates a little even though I'd had no accidents. Then, when I had damage to my car and needed them, I found out just how amazing they are. The true measure of an insurance company is what happens when you actually need coverage. They were incredibly fast, communicated regularly, let me pick my own shop, and never questioned the bill when my shop increased the price twice. They were fantastic. As a result, I will stay with them and not even shop around.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I saw the potential for savings in the Right Track Program. That's why I signed up for it. Even after seeing many reviews that stated it was "impossible" to get a good score, I thought that maybe these people were being dramatic. They say the program will result in you getting a guaranteed 5% discount, up to 30% depending on the results of your 90-day program. I ended up with a 7%. During the program you can view every trip and it gives you a score using four different face expressions. I was thinking that if I can focus on receiving a good score on a majority of my trips during the program that I will ultimately see my savings increase periodically and have a decent savings by the end.

The truth is, it is extremely difficult to get much of a savings. By the end of the 90 days, I would say that 80-85% of my trips had the highest score possible, but my total savings at the end only ended being 7%! How are you supposed to get a 30% savings if having a success rate of 80-85% only gives you a 7% discount? Also, the app gives you an average rating (using the same facial expressions as the trip ratings) of all your trips. With having 80-85% of my trips earning the highest score possible, my overall rating was a 2 (there are four different facial expressions and I had the second to worst as my average rating). That seems wrong. They must weight the average poorly.

Lastly, don't be misled like I was. I believe it was just a miscommunication, but I also believe that they should be absolutely clear about this particular subject. You will receive a 10% discount (it may be different depending on what state you are in) just for participating in the Right Track Program. Then they tell you that you have the potential to save 5%-30% following the completion of the program. What was not made clear to me is that whatever your savings is after the program is finished REPLACES the 10% discount. Since my discount was 7% my policy went up from what it had been during the 90 days of the program.

I am not super upset, because it is still a savings compared to what the original premium would have been, but the fact that I was expecting a savings, and therefore a decrease in my premium, but saw that it went up following the program was disappointing. So, simply, don't be fooled in thinking the savings you earn from the program is in addition to the 10% they give you for participating.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Their policies are decent and the prices are too. In my area they’re cheaper than a lot of other insurance companies. They really do let you choose different types for your various needs such as boats and other vehicles. They were also wonderful during the pandemic of 2020.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Rates constantly going up, customer service is poor. Made no effort to retain when leaving. I would not recommend even with initial teaser rates. Additionally was hit by vehicle in parking lot, would not honor claim.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I have been paying 100 dollars for over a few years. I am not impressed with the fact that it doesn't matter if I have 1 car or 20 cars. I would think that the less cars you have it would be cheaper. I guess they get us no matter what because it's the law to have it.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I would give them a 0 if I could. Liberty Mutual as a whole is complete trash. Once you sign the line don't expect sales rep to answer any questions. Expect them to give you nothing but problems during your time with them. If you cancel they will charge you a fee for canceling and tell you it's "State requirement" when you can research and see it is not a NC law and when you speak to resolution specialist in this case Ryan, when you tell him it is not a state requirement he gets flustered and says, "Well um, maybe it's uhh liberty mutual then. I'll just have the manager call you."

Manager never calls. I call back and they put in another manager request to call me and then manager says she can't do anything to waive a cancellation fee and its NC requirement, and I explained to her I did research, spoke with my attorney, and my new insurance provider is not a law. And she was like, "Well mam, I am sorry there is nothing I can do, I am not in NC, I am not familiar with the laws, I am just going off of what Liberty mutual provides us." I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND LIBERTY MUTUAL TO ANYONE!!!!

Liberty Mutual author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company has a unique deductible-reducing policy and also offers auto insurance specifically designed for teachers. The company’s RightTrack program monitors driving and qualifies customers for additional discounts.

• Coverage and plans: Liberty Mutual offers the standard coverage required for auto insurance, plus features like accident forgiveness, gap insurance, new car replacement, better car replacement and repair guarantees.

• Cost: The average cost of Liberty Mutual auto insurance for someone in their 50s is about $150 per month

• Discounts: Liberty Mutual offers discounts for homeowners, new customers, paperless billing, upfront payment, multivehicle policies, good drivers, eco-friendly cars, safety features, good grades and military service.

• Standout feature: Liberty Mutual’s Deductible Fund lets customers lower their collision deductible by $100 every year. All customers have to do is pay an additional $30 as part of their premium.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor