Find the Best Match

3.47/5
Based on 427 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Liberty Mutual - Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

1166 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We had a claim a year and a half ago and everything went smoothly (car was totaled in wreck). On July 6th my Tahoe was broken into and they tried to steal it. Apparently that did not work, so had it towed to service shop that they chose, which was fine with me. Well, the steering column had been discontinued (was a 2002) so they had total the vehicle. It is now over a month later and still nothing. I don't really blame Liberty, so much, but the claims representative (Alicia **) is horrible. The service shop called me several times asking that the insurance company contact them because she would not return their e-mails or calls. Well, she would not ever return my calls or e-mails either. So I would talk to another representative or a supervisor and they would help me out as best as they can but couldn't do much since she was the "assigned" rep. This was just ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was driving on the highway at night and a truck next to me threw a retread right at my car. It hit the car on the driver's side front, lost a turn signal and fog light lens, that was about it. I called my agent and he told me the claim was comprehensive. I called LM in the morning and they confirmed it was comprehensive and told me to take the car to an authorized repair center. My car has 180k miles and is ten years old, had the claim been collision I would have bought the two lenses and been back in business but the lens were over $100 and the comprehensive decision had been made by LM.

I took the car to their repair center and the claim person also concluded the claim was comprehensive. You can see where I'm going here. The car is fixed, it has been almost 2 months, they did a great job all is well. LM calls me yesterday and tells me the claim assignment to comprehensive is a mistake and I am responsible for the difference, they were sorry. I owe the repair center $900.00. I asked them to put in writing the mistaken conclusion under which I made my repair decision and I will forward this to the insurance commissioner in my state. This is not acceptable.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was canceled by LM for 4 accidents. 2 were minor driveway bumps "my fault". 1 was my daughter that was hit by an illegal from Mexico. That ran a red light totaling her car. They never showed up in court so my uninsured insurance paid it. Then I was pulling my flatbed trailer through Walms lot when a car parked in the fire pulled out and hit my trailer. I called LM and told them not to pay until I emailed them pictures that show not my fault and they agreed. THEN THEY PAID ANYWAY. They said they lost the photos TWICE. Now they use a company that supplies them with drivers' records as reported and they are just as screwed up as LM.

THEY NOW REPORT THAT I HAVE HAD 4 Accidents, 2 collisions "OK", 1 claim for a total loss in my name not my daughter's. 1 PARKING LOT ACCIDENT $1500 I did not make a claim for my trailer. After days of ** around with the low IQ agents at LM and they said since they messed up they would remove the Mexican accident and the parking lot after I sent the photos 3 times. Just like I figured after 6 months still not corrected. Thank god for Geico. They researched and hooked me up cheaper than LM with a better policy. What do CNN & Liberty have in common? (They both suck)...???‍

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am a Geico auto insurance customer and contacted Todd ** at Liberty Mutual's Raleigh, NC and sent him all the information I had on current policies on 3 autos and a motorcycle. I also sent info to get quotes in bundling home insurance with Liberty Mutual's auto insurance. Additionally I sent info on 4 rental properties we own to see about getting them insured as well. Mr. ** acknowledged receiving the information, but I never heard from him nor anyone else at Liberty Mutual ever again. What a total waste of time! I kept my auto policies with Geico, bundled my homeowner's insurance with them, plus an umbrella policy covering home, autos, and rental properties, and then used the same company who wrote the homeowner's policy to ensure the rental properties.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been a 25 yr LM good customer...was hit in the rear while at complete stop almost 3 wks ago. Agent/adjuster gave me inaccurate information. My car is ready after repairs, but I do not have money to get it. Have sent 3 e-mails & at least 5 phone messages...NO HELP... VERY disappointed is an understatement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When you put in a claim their claim adjustors use unethical tactics on trying to not pay you and undercut you out of money. So I pay a deductible every 6 months for no reason. I have only put 1 claim to an insurance company and I have had my house 17 years. When someone breaks in your garage or house and steals your items make sure you don't pick Liberty Mutual insure because they lie out their teeth and will do anything to make sure you don't get paid.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Stay away from this insurance, far away. I was adjusted by them without even knowing I had their policy. I originally signed up through Safeco, but during my 23 year enrollment with Safeco they were bought by LMI and LMI underwrites their home policies (strange they never told me). I had full coverage, including sewer backup and the sewer backed up during a heavy rainstorm flooding my basement. I claimed less than $3,000 (my backup coverage was $10,000) to replace the washer, dryer, water heater and repair the furnace. During my interview with the adjuster, he admitted they almost never pay on sewer backup. Of course they declined it. My attorney advised suing would be more costly than changing coverage. In the four years since this event I have paid more than four times the claim adjustment to my new carrier, who I am very happy with. LMI constantly advertises on TV which means they are churning through clients very rapidly.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We have been loyal customers for 5 years. We switched to Liberty because they offered excellent rates for our new drivers, having 2 young adults just getting licenses had spiked our rates with Safeco. At 1st Liberty was great. Even handled my daughter's totaled car within 1st year so nicely I thought Liberty was the best insurance company ever (I've tried several). I told friends and family how impressed I was with their prices AND customer service. My local agent was always very responsive and made reasonable suggestions on the best coverage for the price for our situation. Every year prices went up a bit - especially on the 3rd year, but I didn't feel like shopping around and figured a few years after my daughter's accident they would go down again. I did the Right-Track program and we saved 12-13% but nowhere near enough to get back to where we started.

We have had 4-7 cars insured through Liberty at any one time and currently have 6 cars insured. Our last annual bill was $8,570 (avg ~$1,260ea). Following is an example of beginning vs. current rates: 2013, 2017. 2005 Toyota Prius $698, $1,341 (w/ Right-Track). 1995 Toyota Corolla $476, $1,240 (didn't qualify for Right-Track). I understand it is common for insurance companies to offer great rates to get you in the door and then continually raise them hoping you won't bother to shop around - guess I fit that picture...my own fault; but that wasn't what really ruined Liberty Mutual reputation for me.

Recently they gave me notice of non-renewal. The reasons given were: a 2 year old accident and speeding ticket from the 2 kids (yes it's true, young drivers often make poor choices as they learn the ropes), but apparently the last straws were a windshield replacement and towing claim in the last year of all things...and this after my agent had assured me that the glass and roadside assistance were so reasonably priced it was a no-brainer to add them because they were not counted against the policy and did not reflect poorly on the driver in any way. Unfortunately, Liberty Mutual has changed their policy now and DO count any claims of any sort against the policy and after a certain amount of activity (driving record or loss history) they decide they no longer want you for a customer.

OK, it is a free world and business is business - I get that - But... 1) Liberty failed to notify customers about internal change in policy concerning glass & towing coverage - if I had known using this coverage would lead to a cancellation I wouldn't have bothered to add them. 2) Liberty didn't give my wife & I opportunity to find other coverage for the kids, they just cut us all off. The agent told us any new company will call them and Liberty is required to tell the new insurance company about any losses and non-renewals due to account activity so this will force us to shop for a policy under adverse conditions. 3) Yes Liberty lost ~$4,000 on my daughter's accident and maybe another $500 on glass & towing, but we faithfully paid our premiums and paid out over $15,000 over the last 5 years.

I held off having the windshield replaced until the multiple chips & cracks begin interfering with driver visibility - technically I could have claimed 3 windshields. I also handled other break-down situations on my own rather than call a tow truck and have insurance pay for it. We have a hit-and-run damage to the side of our car that I never claimed because the car didn't seem worth the hassle (why have a newly painted door when the rest of the car needs a paint job worth more than the car is worth?). I did my best to be a faithful customer and protect Liberty from frivolous claims...they stabbed me in the back. Even my agent has a hard time understanding this apparently capricious behavior and said after the internal policy change on glass & towing even he is afraid to use them. If you have Liberty don't use their roadside assistance, get AAA.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Two appraiser's report on the damage to my vehicle exceeds my deductible but to date, Liberty has not rectify the situation despite 5 phone calls and three emails. In all this Liberty had the nerve to ask me to renew my policy. Not worth their service when I can get it cheaper from other insurance companies.

Original review: July 23, 2018

After steadily increasing my auto insurance premiums for over 10 years with no claims I switched to State Farm for lower rates. Liberty Mutual stated that I had an outstanding balance of $56. I do not owe them anything as I pay my annual premiums with a check that I hand deliver to their local Liberty Mutual office. I always hand deliver premium payments because I do not trust insurance companies (any of them!). Liberty Mutual claims that I didn't inform them that I was switching to State Farm which is bogus. I am saving over $300 per year for the same coverage with State Farm. If you're currently with Liberty Mutual shop around when your policy is due for renewal as you will probably save money for the same coverage by switching to another carrier.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Highly recommend, excellent customer service and wonderful full service. Easy transition. Great at discounts and adding, removing, switching cars, drivers, and properties.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Liberty Mutual is the Wrong Insurance Company!!! I've was with Liberty Mutual Insurance for over 9 years. I've never file any claims the whole time I was insured by Liberty Mutual Insurance. My wife and I have a perfect driving record, no tickets, no criminal record and always paid our bill on or before it was due. A month ago this is what they did to me!

I was at a car dealership and purchased a 2018 Honda HR-V. During the transaction I called Liberty Mutual and the Liberty Mutual Insurance Rep informed me that my policy would increase by over $540.00 per month, further follow-up I was informed that I should contact a Liberty Mutual rep: his name is Tony ** (**), I called and left 9 messages over 2 weeks and never was given the courtesy of a return call, however someone from Liberty Mutual did call me back, and I was informed that a year ago in a private parking lot at a Dairy Queen, a car backed into me, I was in my parking spot, not moving when a car with 6 people and at least 1 dog hit me. No damage to my car because they hit my hitch, but instead of stopping she continued backing up which caused considerable damage to her car. Called the police, called Liberty Mutual to informed them as required. Gave my statement, then never heard back from Liberty Mutual.

To fast forward a year later to what's important. Liberty Mutual for whatever reason paid for her damages (Yes you read that correctly). They paid for the driver at fault, damages to her car, and they never contacted me, informed me, nor clarified any information of the incident with myself or my wife that was with me in the car when this happened. Finally after writing a complaint on the customer service site of Liberty Mutual's web-site, I received an email that I should call them back, which the representative was at a loss as to why this was even paid. But again stated that there was nothing they could do to correct the situation and Liberty Mutual would not tell me why they would pay this claim. They admitted that they never call me to follow up or tell me what was happening, and my policy could not be corrected.

To summarize: The TV commercials are just an advertising stunt. No Grudges: Because they will just profit from you. Accident Forgiveness: How self centered to even have the misconception that as a customer we would ask for forgiveness, we pay for a service and I'm not that forgiving when getting screwed. Car replacement, that must be for the other guy that was at fault. Liberty Mutual; looks like I'm not alone. I hope people will read this post then maybe you will realize your paying customer deserve better. Was a 9 year customer, but no longer!!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Our insurance rate went up 30% this last year, even though there weren’t any accidents or tickets. When we called Liberty Mutual about it, they recommended we enroll in the RightTrack program, it would drop our rates based on our driving. We read the reviews, which weren’t great but decided it wouldn’t hurt. Well the reviews were correct: hard to set up, they dock you for merging on a freeway, or stopping at a red light. For the record, my driving record is completely clean, I drove 700 miles in two months, mostly in my neighborhood. My expected savings went from $163 to $90 in two days. Beware of this scam, they tell you that you can reduce your rate back to where it was by enrolling in this program, don’t do it. If you plan on leaving Liberty Mutual because of a rate increase just do it, don’t waste your time with RightTrack.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Refused to honor discount for driver tracking (due to vehicle purchase). Months later they didn't add vehicle when asked. (Daughter went uninsured for weeks before their mistake was discovered.) VERY difficult company to work with. Decided not to renew policy.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I applied for Auto Insurance and because a semi-truck crossed the center line, 3 years earlier, and hit me they refused coverage. When I bought a new home I applied for a homeowner’s policy and their price was three times State Farm’s price. They said since I had had a windstorm claim with State Farm the premium would naturally be higher. When I asked why, as Liberty was not even involved, I was told that is the way insurance works. The good part is I never have to do business with them but I can tell everyone what an unbelievably horrible company I think they are.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I've been using Liberty Mutual for auto for many years. They seem a little higher than average (cost); but customer experience has been good.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was just happy that I was able to bundle apt insurance and car insurance moving from one state to another. Bundling saves money.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I priced around for auto & homeowners insurance quote. Grant was the agent who got my call. He called my current Erie agent and fought ruthlessly with him. I was left speechless. Grant was dishonest with the quote he gave me. He said the price he gave me was for 1 year. It was not. It was for 6 months but they wrote the policy for a year. Very sneaky. I asked for $250 auto deductible. He quoted me at $500 and indicated that I declined full tort. On my homeowners, he did not tell me that hail or wind would have a $100K deductible. I canceled the policy effectively immediately. Be very careful when dealing with their dishonest agents!

Original review: June 23, 2018

This company has the most competitive rates since I have always checked out premiums at renewal time. I like the 12 month contract feature; however, each year the premium rises even though I had no claims. Also, most of the business is done online and it sometimes takes you through many agents and customer service personnel before you can get an issue resolved.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I was a loyal customer for 5 years with Liberty Mutual, whom was my car insurance company. I had a simple change of plates in my vehicle and followed the procedure with the paperwork. I had notify them about the change over the phone and went to my local Liberty Mutual office in ROCKVILLE CENTER in Long Island NY to dropped off the copy of my defensive driving course as well as the paperwork DMV had given me to provide my insurance company. I went on about my business and I came to find out the hard way by trying to download new ID cards to replace the already faded ones in my vehicle. I had no account with them when trying to login to download my ID cards.

Furthermore DMV had send me a fine with a notice of registration and license suspension because I had no coverage and was fined 160 dollars for driving without insurance for 20 days. I went on to talk to somebody for help but it was the beginning of a nightmare and a terrible experience with a very poor customer service over the phone and at their facility. No one knew what was going on and there was a lack of communication between the main office and local place. At the end they didn't care about my loyal business with them. They did not care about my defensive driving course. About my needs concerns complaint they just wash their hands dropped me informed the DMV about my vehicle not been cover.

Meanwhile I was driving back and forward from home to work without a clue that I had no car insurance! This would of been worse if I would of been pull over by a cop or involved in car accident which could of ruin my life. This was a TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE!!! EXPERIENCE. I would not recommend this to anybody else. I wouldn't want anybody else to go through what I went.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Joined Liberty Mutual a year ago, because of the excellent sales pitch. Was promised that my car insurance would probably decrease, but instead the monthly premium was going up $36.00. Called and emailed my sales agent, but no response. Worst company to deal in regards to customer service. They could care less. I’m part of the Allstate family now and could not be happier. This is an insurance company that knows how to treat their customers.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am a 45 yr old female. I been driving since the age of 21. I always pay my premium regardless of what insurance company I'm with. On 6-14-2018 a driver was going in the wrong direction on the highway and hit me head on while I was on my way to work. I was stranded at the ER with my daughter. I ask for a rental because my car was totaled. They inform me that I did not have rental on my policy even though I owned a 52,000 SUV with full coverage on my vehicle with towing. I was crying telling them it was a mistake. They inform me I could go to Enterprise and get a discount but where would I get the money to pay. I'm without a car plus I had my insurance adjuster look at my policy. She inform me it was under transportation not rental reimbursement. What a lousy trick.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My 90 year old dad (a WW2 vet BTW) car was hit by a man in a grocery parking lot. Not a lot of damage & the man immediately admitted fault. Liberty jerked him around for 5 weeks then said they weren't responsible because it was private property. WHAT!?!? So my dad is out $1000 for his deductible to get his car fixed. That's bull!!! This company is a SHAM- stay away! Shame on these shysters!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I filed my claims online and on the phone with adjuster and Liberty Mutual have always been very helpful and kind. Same amount of insurance as prior company for much less money. Customer service is as good or better.

Original review: June 5, 2018

If you get a ticket or have an accident this company will raise the rates. Child got ticket. We have 4 drivers 3 with perfect record one with ticket. Rates went from 350 to 600. We were loyal customer for 10 years. This is a horrible insurance company. Got better rates from Progressive.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have seen their commercials on tv on numerous occasions, and when my husband and I decided to switch insurance so we could save some money, they were the first ones we looked into. They responded so quickly to my inquiry, that I didn't even get to let my husband know that I had requested a quote from them. They even double checked with us to make sure that they had all of our information correct. It was a really easy switch. They did ask for proof that we were insured prior to switching to them, but that was simple, too. Our previous insurance sent us an email that we sent to Liberty Mutual. They are a bit different than your average auto insurance company. They have wonderful customer service and the prices are cheap. Overall, they make more sense than most other auto insurance companies. I am 100% satisfied!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I like that Liberty Mutual covers drivers, even ones not the lease. Very decent price for the coverage and good liability coverage. Got "temporary" insurance cards through email until the actual ones, due to starting the policy from the convenience of home. The purchasing process was straightforward. A matter of a fact CSR, who told me the facts albeit a bit dry, but at least knowledgeable and not rude. The matter was handle in a fairly timely manner, with all questions being fully addressed. However, many, not all, of the customer service representatives, are completely rude. A few are incompetent. They either don't understand what they are selling, don't care, or shouldn't be in any type of customer service job.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've only been with Liberty Mutual for a month and so far I have no issues with them. I've also heard good things from other people who use them.It was the cheapest, but also reputable. They were super easy to purchase my policy from and had many discounts. I applied for a quote online. Received a phone call from a representative who went over their entire policy with me and then he walked me through my entire purchase. I'm very pleased to deal with them. I also seen they have full car replacement even for new vehicles if I am able to eventually purchase one.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience with Liberty Mutual - Auto was good. They are a good company and they have great customer service. They were customer friendly and they were good at handling issues and complaints. But we had to leave because we couldn't afford the rates. They were too high for the coverage. We went to another company that had lower rates for the same amount of coverage. If the rates were lower for the coverage that we are receiving now, I would go back.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The price beat out most competitors. We shopped around for a while and Liberty Mutual really stuck out price wise and quality wise. Our purchasing process for car insurance went really well. It was easy to set everything up and figure out the payment. Our agent was very courteous and knowledgeable. The only thing I would change is less wait time to talk to a representative. But overall my spouse and I really like the company. I would recommend this insurance to family and friends because of our great experience.

Not sure about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Boston
MA
www.libertymutual.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business