Call toll free*
Based on 169 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: April 21, 2018

838 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

My family has been with Liberty Mutual for over 10 years. They are great to deal with until you get in an accident or receive a speeding ticket. In one year I received a speeding ticket and my wife was in a fender bender. It was her fault but an accident. Liberty Mutual dropped us as a customer. I am 49 and in all my years I've never been dropped from anything especially an insurance company. We paid all bills on time, including the increase in insurance to be with Liberty Mutual over the years. THIS COMPANY LOVES TAKING YOUR MONEY BUT WILL NOT BE THERE WHEN YOU NEED THEM. I quickly found another auto insurance company who gladly accepted me as a customer. This company clearly survives taking on customers until they need to actually pay out and GOODBYE CUSTOMER.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I should have done my research first! They don’t disclose anything for you! Only ask them what “full coverage” means and they never tell you until you get in an accident! Very disappointed with them. I have two policy with them and it’s been years! Now I had a collision and they say in CA full coverage only covers liability. Not collision coverage!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My vehicle was involved in an accident with a person insured by Liberty Mutual. That person was at fault. Although I provided Liberty Mutual with all requested information and even provided them with the police accident report at my expense, they are refusing to approve my claim.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Brian ** came to our shop and wrote an estimate he spite and glued the car together, he left out parts that were needed to save Liberty Mutual money. He has the number for fraud hotline on his card, he should call it on his self. If anyone has Liberty Mutual, get a better insurance company before they screw you.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We had a simple claim under $1000. Liberty Mutual's claims process is a nightmare. Nobody I repeat nobody from Liberty Mutual will actually come look at the damage. They make the customer and body shop do all the legwork. We had 3 different people from LM working on our claim and each person tells you something different. Oh and all of their estimates ranged from $400-$900.

Our claims rep was incompetent. We were told they would bill the body shop directly. Go to pick up the vehicle and the body shop would not release it because they knew nothing about the billing directly part. Claims rep never told them. Car rental would not be extended, and our claims person would not return a call until I got my agent and her manager involved. This was a simple claim that took over 2 weeks (2 days of that was body shop repair, remaining time was dealing with incompetent people at Liberty Mutual to get approval for repairs). Imagine what a large claim would look like. I wouldn't want to find out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: April 5, 2018

It sounds like 8 years is the magic number for Liberty Mutual. We switched to Liberty Mutual Auto insurance 8 years ago to save costs and to have an agent nearby as we had moved away from our prior agent and weren't able to get the same level of service we had grown used to. Unfortunately the agent at Liberty Mutual left the company shortly after we signed on and after multiple attempts to get another agent locally we ended up with an agent more than 50 miles away. Unfortunately, this new agent was completely focused on his commission and not what was best for my family. Over the years our rate continued to climb incrementally. That was until this year's renewal where without any accidents or incidents but after I tried to switch agents again to someone local and was refused because my agent of record would not release the account.

My premium shot up 15%! Naturally that was the last straw and after researching a few months for a new insurance company we finally switched 110 days into our policy to USAA! Like other reviewers, we were shocked to find out that Liberty Mutual "short rates." It's premium so instead of getting a prorated refund we have to pay additional fees and penalty. After 10 phone calls and varying explanations I was finally told to call and ask for an "escalation rep" who explained to me that 8 years ago on page 38 of a 50 page document there was a clause explaining the penalty ("short rate") for cancellation. When I asked him why that fact wasn't disclosed by the agent, he said agents don't discuss cancellations when signing new customers.

Although Massachusetts law allows this practice, I find it extremely deceptive of Liberty Mutual to not fully disclose this practice to its customers upfront and to make the customer read and memorize a 50 page document after 8 years. PLEASE note not all auto insurance companies use "short rates". It pays to do your homework and to ask questions. On top of all that, Liberty Mutual gave me and my new insurance company the run around with faxing and accepting the cancellation, that took 3 phone calls to Liberty Mutual and multiple faxes to 2 different numbers. All this and we never had a claim with Liberty Mutual... I would hate to see how they actually treat people with claims!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I bought a second vehicle, a used Chevy Suburban 1997 for cheap that had a brand new crate engine. My other vehicle is a 1995 Ford F-150. Older vehicles are less on the stolen list plus easier to maintain. The purchase was near my policy renewal which I was waiting for after 5 long years to see a minor traffic offense with no points, supposedly going to be removed from my Liberty Mutual record. Clearly that did not happen. My rates went up from $1200 to $1850. The mythical traffic issue was said to be the cause. It was said to be the blame for my higher rate. After I got the $1850 shock... I spent an HOUR on the fone with this guy who "re-rated me" down to lesser policy size of 1400 -ish. When the paperwork came in the mail it was all 1900- ish. I called to have the fixed and then my rate went up to 2718!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I will NEVER use Liberty Mutual again. After 5 years of clean driving with them my insurance costs kept going up and up and up. Then when I canceled to switch to a cheaper competitor (Geico, highly recommend it) they hit me with almost $200 in hidden fees. These people will ** you 10 ways to Sunday, watch out.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I unfortunately hit a deer going to work one morning, end of February. I called LM and started a comprehensive claim. About a week later a LM preferred body shop called me to schedule a visit for an estimate. I asked why didn’t someone from LM call me. So I called LM and spoke with the claims representative Karen ** which told me that is the way LM does business. I told her that I wanted to look at other shops. She said that I could but she would not be able to manage it since they do not have relationships with any other shop in my town and if the other shop decided to run up the charges and take an excessive amount of time she would not be able to help me. Well my car has been at their shop for 3 weeks. The initial estimate was $3600. I was told initially that the repairs would take 8 business days.

Well 9 business days later I called the shop to check and was told they found more damage, $900 worth and that would take another week and a half. I contacted Karen ** and she called me back after an extended period of time and told me she was busy and basically everything is going as planned. I told her that she is not doing the job she told me she would do, manage the claim. The body shop told me they estimate they’ll have the car done April 12th. They’re replacing the front bumper cover, fixing minor dent in front right fender, and replaced door skin on right door. 5 weeks for that minor repair? Karen ** is incompetent. I’ve called Liberty Mutual every other day for 3 weeks and get nothing but a bunch of lip service. Liberty Mutual cares more about the body shop. I’m just a source of money.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Feb. 2016 there was a motorist that hit the side of our truck I was a passenger in. I received a side whiplash & nerve damage. The claim was turned into my insurance company Liberty Mutual. I have income protection which I do pay for on my policy. Also FULL TORTE and was told I had very good coverage which I pay a lot of money for. As of 3/29/2018 I've only received $1,900.00 of the $9,600.00 I've lost in wages. And that check of $1,900 I just received 3/23/2018. The adjuster that was assigned to me has NEVER CONTACTED ME SINCE THIS ACCIDENT OCCURRED. And just keeps giving me & the attorney I now had to hire because of not being able to receive the insurance coverage I pay for.

I did attach the 1 page from Liberty Mutual that shows the accident date and claim number. I pay for insurance to protect myself & my family. I have the whole policy I can send you that shows I pay for excellent coverage which I'm not receiving. Not sure how this can actually happen when you pay for car insurance. We were hit by an underinsured motorist which I just found out a few months ago after hiring an attorney. But this doesn't give Liberty Mutual the right to not honor the insurance coverage I PAY FOR. I need help & don't know who to turn to. I guess there's NO LAWS ANYMORE.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have car insurance with Liberty Mutual Insurance. I have a FULL TORT POLICY. After I was in an accident a underinsured motorist ran into our vehicle. I suffered a side whiplash & never damage. I’m still working but I’ve missed several days of work because of going to the doctors & Hospital test.. and for these last 2 years my insurance company has only reimbursed me $1,900 of the $9,600 I’ve loss in wages. I pay for a policy to protect my income is part of my car insurance policy. This has been 2 years.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Wife got her car totalled on 2/22 by one their clients...here we are on 3/26 with only the adjuster calling us once, 2 weeks ago. We have no idea what is happening and any info we have gotten has been from us calling their main line and getting bits of info here and there. Car rental place called Friday saying the rental is cancelled and of course we cannot get in touch with anyone about the claim. Calling their customer service does nothing but get you transferred back to the same adjuster that is not helping you. Always goes to voicemail and nobody ever calls you back. Maybe we should call our totalled car into the police as stolen?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I was involved in an accident with a Liberty Mutual insured. I was traveling on the freeway when their insured merged into my lane while pulling a trailer. As he was merging, the wheel well of the trailer caught my front bumper and almost pulled it off. What I thought was a cut & dry, no brainer claim turned into a nightmare.

About a week later, a LM adjuster called me and took my statement. She did not ask for pictures of my vehicle. About two weeks later, I received a letter in the mail, stating they found me at fault and denying my claim, no explanation as to why I was at fault. I emailed her, ask her to call and explain why I was at fault and she never did. I did hear back from a Claims Manager after I filed a grievance on the LM website. She basically said the same thing, I was at fault. She said their insured claims I hit the back end of his trailer, but pictures I PROVIDED showed damage to the side of his trailer. I also questioned if I had hit the back end, why is the damage to my vehicle on the right side of my vehicle. They would not reply to my concerns.

I sent letters, pictures of my vehicle and a detailed statement, asking the case be reassigned to another adjuster and no one would call me or respond. I filed a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner and in their report, it was stated I was at fault because I failed to maintain a safe distance, failed to stop and having the last clear chance to avoid an accident. That makes it sound like I rear ended him which I didn’t. He changed lanes into me and I’m suppose to hit my brakes and stop?? It was also stated that since the truck pulling the trailer was already in my lane, I’m suppose to stop my vehicle on the freeway to avoid an accident. I didn’t know this person was merging into my lane until it was too late. There obviously wasn’t enough space for him to safely change lanes but they state I failed to maintain a safe distance! I did maintain a safe distance with the person in front of me but I guess that doesn’t matter.

The precedence that LM is sending in regards to this concerns me. It’s ok to change lanes and if you hit someone it’s their fault?? My insurance company denied their insured’s claim and found him to be at fault. Why?? Because he was the one who caused the accident. Not me! He unsafely changed lanes and hit my vehicle.

In their insured’s statement, I found a few discrepancies which I wanted to address but no one will call to discuss it with me. I even sent pictures to prove these concerns but they obviously didn’t care. He even admitted he went to change lanes and when he realized there wasn’t enough room, tried to get back over but he still hit my vehicle.

Their claims service is very unprofessional. No one will call and talk to you. The treatment this company has shown me has been very hurtful and upsetting. I can’t believe they treat claimants so disrespectfully. I feel like LM is trying to find any excuse possible to avoid paying for the damages to my vehicle. I don’t understand how someone cuts you off on the freeway, damages your vehicle and then say it’s your fault! It also concerns me that they made their decision without looking at the damage on my vehicle. They are obviously more concerned with saving money by not paying claims instead of doing the right thing.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I was hit in my community college's parking lot on the 8th of February, 2018, and opened a claim with Liberty Mutual the day after. I was assigned Shameeka ** in Texas as my claims representative. It took until the 27th of February for her to return contact with me, after the "internal investigation" had begun, confirming that yes, it was their insured's fault, and yes, the company was at fault. Now, I will note that, during this time, I had made six attempts to contact Ms. ** over the phone, being met with an automated "not available" response each time. Really? I even left multiple voicemails. After I had waited almost three weeks for a non-forthcoming response, Ms. ** finally decided to get back in contact with me, and, to my annoyance, take with me the attitude of "we had been trying to get in contact with you several times already with calls, voicemails, etc" when, by my own phone records, was NOT TRUE.

After Ms. ** finally decided to get back in contact with me, she informed me that, as Liberty Mutual had accepted fault for the accident, I had two options to seek payment. Option 1: Submit photos of the damage through e-mail to the claims adjuster, or Option 2: Take my car to a Liberty Mutual bodyshop and have them do a damage estimate. Please note that the option to have a local adjuster come out, IN PERSON, and assess the damage to my vehicle, WAS NOT GIVEN, and when I asked about it, IT WAS DENIED. How does this fly?

Not wanting to lose my negotiating power by taking my car to a shill bodyshop and being misquoted, I chose to submit my own photos. Now, this company, despite having a fairly advanced website, DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO UPLOAD THOSE PHOTOS DIRECTLY. Instead, you must send each individual photo as an e-mail attachment to a specified address. Okay, fine, I'll bite.

So, having taken these photos with my Canon DSLR, in order to leave absolutely nothing to chance and give this company as much detail as I can about my car, I had to send multiple messages with one or two photos each, as normal e-mail has a maximum attachment limit of 25MB. A day after I send the photos, which was on the 7th of March (I chose to turn the tables on them a bit, but it obviously didn't help), I see on their website (which, I should add, requires you to create an account before you can look at claim details. Sounds fishy to me...) that the appraisal was marked as "completed" (8th of March). Okay, great.

So...what was the result? The response I got after sending the photos was that I should hear back within 1-2 business days, which I did not. I wait five days, then send an e-mail to the appraiser, Michael ** of Washington, asking for a status update (that was the 13th of March, four days ago) and he comes back with "the vehicle reached the Total Loss point, and the TL adjuster will be in contact with you within the week." That was Tuesday. It is now Saturday, and I still haven't received any contact from the Total Loss adjuster. Meanwhile, my car has been rolling around with a crumpled quarter panel and scrapes all over it FOR A MONTH-AND-A-HALF.

I am going to wait until Tuesday of next week, and if I still haven't heard from them by then, I am opening a complaint with the state insurance commission. This review is being made on the 17th of March, 2018, at approx. 12:30 p.m., and this claim has still not been closed. I am extremely dissatisfied with how this company handles its at-fault claims, and my advice to anyone who has to deal with them in the future is simple. Don't. You can get better prices with Geico or Progressive, or bite the extra cost and go with a large company like State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I submitted a claim after my wife hit a parking lot pole with our car. Damage was to the right front corner including bumper cover and fender. There was some previous damage to the bumper cover on the right side that was not part of the claim. Rather than contact us directly our Liberty Mutual claims rep. Scott ** told the body shop to not repair any part of the bumper cover including the damage on the right side that was part of our claim. We have attempted to contact Mr. ** several times through email and he will not respond.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I got into a car accident due to a sudden and extreme hail storm. I spun out on the freeway and hit the center divider. Luckily no other vehicles were involved nor was I injured. The CHP that eventually responded didn't complete a police report due to the fact that there were no other parties involved and no damage was caused to state property. So naturally I assumed that because I have full coverage I was covered... I couldn't have been more wrong! I filed a claim and took my car to the Liberty Mutual suggested body shop.

After 3 days I find out that there was going to be a Liberty Mutual investigator assigned to my case. I figured it was standard policy... But NO. This is where they find ANY excuse NOT to pay your claim. I spoke with the investigator and gave my exact details on the incident. She was extremely dull, inconsiderate and rude and raised her voice with me several times when I asked difficult questions. The next day I find out that she pulled a previous claim back in 2016 where I had bumped... Yes BUMPED into a new BMW causing $514.00 worth of damage to the other car (my only 2 claims ever). I never put in a claim due to the damage being sooo minor to my car and the fact that my deductible was higher than what it would have been to fix it.

Now this investigator is requiring me to pay a 1000.00 deductible for that claim and ANOTHER 1000.00 for this claim. now I find it very funny that the repair cost for this claim is $2200.00 and insurance company only wants to pay out 200 bucks! My front bumper is completely ripped off with a little right fender damage. I have a homeowners policy with Liberty Mutual as well and I can't imagine what it would be like if something bad happened to my home. You have to ask yourself If the policy and procedures of this company (Liberty Mutual) is to hire people to find ways NOT to pay out on legitimate and truthful claims, or throw the book at you when you need them the most... Is this the company you want to rely on when something terrible happens to your home? HELL NO! I will be canceling my claim along with my auto policy and homeowners policy with this disgraceful, PROFIT prioritizing douchebags!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I was so happy when the lady that enrolled me in auto insurance with Liberty Mutual told me that if I got the Right Track device put on my van that I would save an additional $20.00 a month off of my monthly payments. I was delighted since I am on disability income and it's very hard for me to afford. It's the reason I purchased insurance from them. I am not finished with the Right Track program but I am highly disappointed because it starting to look like I was lied to, or they misinformed the original lady I spoke with. They promised such a good discount but made it nearly impossible to get it. The original lady I spoke with said as long as I kept my good driving history that I already have that I would be sure to get it. That's just not true.

For one thing, when I first got the device I was trying to figure out the app on the phone I borrowed from my daughter. I haven't ever had any phones besides the free kind poor people get sent that do not do much so I had no idea how to use a more advanced one. Right Track held it against me that my first two trips less than a mile around my town when I was learning how to use the device and phone together and didn't know how to turn on the Bluetooth and location on the phone yet, they claimed those two first small outings made my rate go steadily down because it had a huge impact on my discount. Then she said those two trips shouldn't have kept making it go steadily down the whole time and then she repeated again that it might have caused it. She didn't even know.

After I found out how to use the phone, I had nothing but green smiley faces saying great driving and no night time driving to hold against me, but my discount continued to go steadily down even though they were reporting that my driving was perfect. I always made sure my location and Bluetooth were turned on but sometimes the app didn't work even though I always had my phone with me at all times. Sometimes it didn't even record a trip as if I didn't take one. Most of the time it showed up and all those were perfect driving.

So I wanted to know why my discount kept going down. Her other explanation is because mileage is held against me. I was like you have got to be kidding?! I only travel twice a week 23 miles to take my daughter to school and that is held against me!? It made my discount go down even though it shows my driving has been perfect. So, people that have a regular job they have to go to five days a week, they would never get their discount no matter how perfect their driving is because you are not allowed to drive the vehicle more than a few miles without it being held against you.

So know if you get this app you are not allowed to drive or you won't get your discount. They make it impossible. They don't want to give more than a five dollar discount, so what they promise is not true, so don't believe them when they tell you if you drive well you will get a 20% discount because they won't! She said I still had time to change my rating. How!?!? My driving is already scored as perfect. How do I get better than best so it stops my rate discount from continuing to go steadily down? I can't stop taking my daughter to school twice a week and I've proved my driving is good but that doesn't matter to them.

They don't care. They are greedy and won't give what they promise like most businesses that just want to use apps like this to hook you into purchasing insurance from their company but don't keep their promises. I am so sick of big businesses and their greed and not caring about anyone else but making money for their self. That's how this whole world is. It makes me so sick. I get so much more depressed.

Resolution response: March 14, 2018

Liberty Mutual has expedited the claim process since I contacted CA and spoke with someone named Jacob in the Face book Ad. I also had to contact the other insurance company. I am not changing my rating since I had to do most of the work and continuous follow up. Please note that the adjustors voice mailbox was frequently full.

Original review: March 13, 2018

On July 1, 2017 a postal truck hit my parked car where the postal driver never acknowledged the accident in Kingston PA. The postal office gave me the contact with Harrisburg Torte. I went through Liberty Mutual to have the car fixed. The car (a 2017 BMW X3) was repaired and Liberty Mutual told me they would recover my $500 deductible. Their customer service claims rep Melvin ** never returned calls promptly saying they were busy with hurricane claims. I have made multiple contacts via email and phone. LM requires and deducts an amount monthly for my premium but cared nothing about paying me the deductible. I was assured by LM sales and Harrisburg Torte I would revive the $500. Please advise as I am seeing other issues from other people. I would hate to see how a house or car replacement would be.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Maybe they should spend less money on TV ads and more on customer service! Even though we have perfect driving records and older cars, our rates kept increasing every year. So we called and were told it was to the where we live (hadn't moved) and the accident rates of other people (uninsured motorists). Great. In other words, we were required to pay for other's bad habits. So we checked with other companies and found much less expensive solutions.

Our new Insurer notified Liberty Mutual by email, mail and FAX that they were taking over the policy and to reimburse us any unused policy value. Well, even with solid documentation and resubmitting it numerous times, we kept getting late payment notices and bill collection threats. We talked to at least 6 different Liberty Mutual 'representatives', having to explain everything all over AND resubmit supporting documentation that we had changed companies. I'm still not sure what impact this might have on my credit score, but Liberty Mutual could care less. INTIMIDATION and POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE is why this company gets a 1 STAR from me!

Resolution response: April 17, 2018

The bank contacted me today and let me know that the check was just received. I started calling Liberty Mutual on Monday, April 9th and did not get a call back until Friday 13th. This is when I was informed that the check was being cut to pay for my vehicle that was deemed totaled on 2/27. Finally this is resolved but the customer service and lack of response is still unacceptable. I have since purchased another vehicle and had to pay two car payments because of the time it took for Liberty to resolve this issue.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was rear ended by a Liberty Mutual insurer on February 8th. The damage to my car was so extensive that my car was totaled. This information was communicated to me via voicemail on a Friday at 6pm. The voicemail also informed me that my rental car coverage would expire in 4 days. The Liberty rep I worked with was Adalisa and she was anything but helpful. These are the worst people I've ever dealt with in regard to customer service. I've never received a return email from her (except an out of office). The experience felt very crooked and I wanted to protect myself by having communications in writing. When I would call, I would always get her voicemail and there is a 24-hour wait before she calls back. I complained about this and I was shunned and informed that I wasn't the only person she was helping and her voicemail STATES that she has 24 hours to call me back.

I find it surprising that no one on her team could give me any information about the claim. My claim has NOT been settled but at this point I can't even access it online anymore. During, this whole process my co-worker has a close friend that sells Liberty Mutual insurance and when he tried to access the claim by the information I had giving him, it didn't even list my information. I could have went through my insurance but I didn't want to have to fight Liberty for my deductible.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Your client pulled out in front of my vehicle 7 months ago, I lost truck trailer and all my equipment for lawn care in this accident. I've been trying for 7 months working with ** from a Florida office to handle my claim in Georgia. ** has lied. Cheated me and even rented me a vehicle for 3 weeks which I then got a visit one morning from rental stating they had to take car back because Liberty Mutual hasn't paid. I in return get a huge bill plus it gets turned into collections and on to 3 credit reports. It's knocked my credit down over 125 points from great credit to poor. I will attempt one more phone call after then I will take y'all to court and sue for months out of work and the loss of our lawn care business which we have had 11 years.

Done playing with Liberty Mutual. Y'all paid for your clients car in 4 days and they were charged with being at fault... Wow thanks. If anybody wants a great insurance company go to Progressive Insurance. They have cheaper rates, 100 times better service and you don't go weeks and months without someone like ** not calling you back. They have took my truck and has in junkyard selling it for parts but I still have been paid or even agreed on numbers for everything list including truck that I paid 355 dollars for wrecker to bring home and Liberty Mutual hasn't paid one dime. Sorry sorry sorry. Almost a theft by taking on my truck which is a felony.

Who wants to be held accountable for Liberty Mutual? Scotty **. ** call 24/7. Maybe you will call. Now 24 hrs. The three pics are the day before wreck. 1 day after wreck. Several pics around 70 ** when you get this! 24 hours then I'll see y'all in court for not only property but credit reports score and loss of hours for seven months plus the money I spent on a rental truck. Y'all owe several thousand already. Do what's right. Cut me check or directly deposit is what I prefer.

Original review: March 6, 2018

You plug it into your car and it monitors hard braking, hard accelerating and if you drive after midnight. First off it's very inaccurate. They have me driving after midnight several times. I'm in bed by 10 every night, no one has my car. I had to brake hard a few time because of kids running across the street or cars popping out of side streets and parking lots at the last possible second. I had 2 instances of hard acceleration. I was merging on to Interstate 295. Can’t do that at 20MPH! My discount started out real high, close to 30%.

Then I guess they see this then start nit-picking and creating false instances. I never drove after midnight! My discount rapidly dropped to 11%. It's a SCAM! Am I suppose to not brake hard and just hit kids and other cars? I should be rewarded for it, not penalized! Maybe I'll sleep in my car to be sure it doesn't drive itself past midnight. Very disappointed because I am a very good and safe driver and was hoping for the maximum discount! It's not happening! Avoid this scam!

Original review: March 6, 2018

One of Liberty Mutual's insured customers rear ended me this past September totaling my vehicle and I’ve been going back and forth ever since. My claim has yet to be satisfied. Nicole ** (senior claim resolution specialist) has been my representative throughout this nightmare and has been anything but professional or helpful for that matter. First off, I had to contact Liberty Mutual to even get my claim started; my insurance company had to phone them to inform them their client (me) was involved in a auto accident with one of their customers. I was forced out of my rental early and had to pay for an Uber (costing me money), there was zero contact to even question my well being. Not once.

Now that I have tried to settle and be done with the back and forth, I can’t get a response. I have sent countless emails, made countless phone calls and it’s gotten me nowhere. I now have a medical bill sitting in pre-collections because they have refused to pay it even though I have emails from Nicole stating it would be paid. So now I unfortunately, my credit is in jeopardy. I have told many people of my experience and have warned multiple people to stay away from Liberty Mutual. This insurance company is pathetic and needs to highly consider cleaning house of its employees or get them better training. I feel horrible for people in similar situations such as myself. I will have no choice but to report this to the Department of Insurance and am hoping to finally get justice. If I could give no stars, I would. 1 star is too many.

Original review: March 5, 2018

If I could give them a zero rating I would. The starter in my car went out so I called roadside assistance to tow the car to my residence. I wasn’t present for the tow, and my car was damaged during the tow. Long story short: my car was damaged from the services that they provided to me. I’m now being held responsible to pay my deductible and my insurance will go up because there isn’t sufficient “evidence”. It was because of the tow. They had the nerve to tell me that my car was hit TWICE during the day it was in the parking lot at my residence. Which is outrageous - the damage is widespread and my trunk is dented shut.

Liberty Mutual uses third parties and it is SO difficult to get in touch with management or anyone who can help. I’ve been treated as if I’m lying and even had an employee raise their voice at me when I asked to speak to a manager. Horrible customer service and completely unethical. I filed a customer complaint online and never heard back. After calling Presidential Services, I basically got a “too bad, there’s nothing we can do”. Do NOT get Liberty Mutual. They don’t care about their customers and if I would have known they had a bad reputation I never would have signed up with them.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Going on 7 months and Liberty Mutual will NOT pay fair value for my totaled car. They compared my car to a car with 12,000 more miles. One had an accident/damage report on Carfax. I paid for two appraisals that prove car is worth 10,000 dollars more. They used to be a good company. I sued them in court and they said Liberty Mutual is just a name not a company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I got a ticket for sideswiping a car. I thought the little street was two way and I turned left into a parking lot. It was one way so I was at fault. I need a letter of resolution because in Louisiana you have to have this to prove the other vehicle was repaired. Liberty Mutual dropped my auto. I have contacted them four times to get the letter. As of today, 5 months after the accident I have not received the letter. I have to go back to court a second time because I did not have the letter the first time. I also have an excellent driving record.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I signed on with this company several months ago after being dissatisfied with my previous insurance. They were very helpful and nice. I insured two cars and renter's insurance. I insured two cars and obtained renter's insurance with this company. After paying several months, I changed my bank account from which they were taking an electronic payment to my new bank. Apparently, they kept on trying to take a payment from my old account. I didn't find out about this until I checked in on my account online, where they told me I owed them $150.00 for past due payments. I made the payments, as the online app said my insurance would not be canceled for over a week. I thought it was all good. Then today, I got a letter from the DMV stating my registration was being cancelled due to lack of insurance.

I called them and explained the situation, what I read on their payment website, and asked to have my insurance reinstated since it was their mistake. They refused, and told me I would have to pay a full year's worth of insurance and my policy would have to be re-written. They refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor. Needless to say, I told them to go do something physically impossible with themselves. I am a disabled senior, living on $900.00 per month, there was no way I could pay a year's worth of auto and renters insurance. My advice is to get insurance with someone else. They lie, take your money after cancelling you leading you to believe that your insurance is active. They claimed they sent letters to me that I never received. Dishonest company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Switched to Liberty & everything went well via email. Unfortunately my daughter was in a wreck 4 days later. Liberty denied coverage saying she was not on policy even though I had the email sent to agent asking for her & my wife to be added. They only added my wife. After 3 weeks of no callback, I filed a complaint with Dept of Insurance. The President's Office called & apologized. They backdated the policy so it was covered. Had I not filed the complaint this would not have been covered. Beware of Liberty. They were about $150 a year cheaper but do not honor their policies unless force to by Dept of Insurance.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

One of their customers hit my car. Totaled it and they left me without a car for over a month even after they totaled mine. But took mine asap. They care nothing but saving them money. Worthless company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Was with them for 45+ years and never had a problem filing a claim with them, or dealing with the repair facility(ies). Very easy to file a claim and people were courteous, professional and compassionate. They walked me thru it multiple times. This company was always helpful and compassionate about my accident(s). They were very infrequent, but I never experienced any problem with them trying to push a particular repair facility. In fact, I went with one they didn't recommend, and regretted it. I would be with them now, except they don't insure homes on Cape Cod, so I had to go w/ another company to get the combined home/auto discount.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky