Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Liberty Mutual - Auto
1.55/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers competitively priced car insurance products along with special coverage options and discounts. Happy customers appreciate how easy it is to switch to Liberty Mutual from another provider. The company has an easy online platform to get a quote and sign up for a new policy.

PROS

• Offers accident forgiveness and new car replacement
  • RightTrack encourages good driving behavior
  • Well-established company with 100+ years of insurance experience
  • User-friendly website
  • Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund helps you save up for your deductible

CONS

• Some customers experienced an increase in rates
  • Discounts not available in all states

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I came to be a member of the Liberty Mutual family years ago. I had a previous insurance company that increase my policy due to my wife bad driving whom was on my policy. After learning of the increase I contacted Liberty Mutual and was given a great rate for the family. I have made a claim on my insurance company and they were very helpful in the process and finalizing the process. I feel they truly have done a great job for me.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had LM policyholder pull out in front of me and I hit him. They were absolutely great to me man. I was super nervous that they were going to somehow blame me for it. Not at all. They super nice from the first phone call. I believe Nicole was her name. Super caring and helpful. The claim adjuster Roger was freaking awesome too. Much love to Liberty Mutual for doing the right thing!! Much appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I fled another insurance company who canceled my insurance after a claim for damages by a wild animal. The damage was repaired but the insurance company sent me a notice that they were not renewing my policy even though I had been paying premiums for 15 years. Liberty Mutual is stand up and a star in the service department. Receptive, understanding and very customer friendly if you get the right agent and not a phone bank.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have had the RightTrack (ODBC II) port for about 3 weeks. I also have a wide-angle front and rear dashcam that keeps time-stamped video and audio. After seeing about 6 acceleration events (at that time no braking events), I decided to pull the video and watch it from 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the stated time. I managed to see (guess) what caused the acceleration event. It was this: I was travelling on a limited access roadway just after 5 am, and on cruise control set right around 52 mph.

As the grade of the road changed to a slight uphill, the transmission shifted into a lower gear to maintain speed. (There was no acceleration. The cruise control merely properly maintained speed.) This caused 3 acceleration events (somehow) to be recorded in one minute intervals. I have since stopped using cruise control, and allow the vehicle to slow down on (even gentle) uphill slopes. Since that time, 2 braking events were recorded that never really happened. I will be pulling the video on those later. I have to agree with the posters that said there is a problem in the Right Track technology. Most of the events it records will be spurious.

I also did a little more experimentation. It appears to measure acceleration and braking along two completely separate vectors. The data I have collected suggest that an event is registered if either vector boundary is crossed. One vector is the rate of change of the speedometer needle (this also should be the same as the rate of speed change on the drive wheels). In order to test this, you would need access to a dynamometer. (Device used to test emissions with older vehicles.) The mileage increase with the vehicle on a dynamometer is registered by the RightTrack device, and therefore actual vehicle movement is not required. Use of a dynamometer isn't advised, however, because unlike in an actual road situation, the wheel speed can alter dramatically quickly in this situation, and result in both braking and acceleration events due to its measurement of the "wheel speed" vector.

The other vector appears to be engine speed, or i.e. rapid RPM changes. This can also trigger as acceleration or braking events independently of changes in the drive wheel's rotational speed. Other than simply starting the program, and then not driving the car for 3 months, (which is usually not an option), the best bet is to plan your routes so that you drive fairly long distances on limited access roads. Avoid local routes where the density of start/stop per unit mile is high. Try to reduce the event per mile density. All that said, I can’t complain about the way the program is set up. Even if I only get the 5% minimum, it will carry forward for the life of the vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I came to Liberty Mutual after being a lifelong Nationwide customer. Nationwide tried to fob me off on another insurance company because they could not provide me with comprehensive insurance. Not only was Liberty able to get me what I needed, but they were also cheaper and had better coverage. I also like that their policies are for 12 months instead of 6, this allows me to lock in the price for the year rather than taking a chance that it increases. So far I am glad that I switched and I wish I had done it sooner, they have been great and it was so easy to sign up and review their policies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I participated in the safe driving thing with Liberty Mutual during this 90-day period, I rarely drove my car anywhere because I had a double hip replacement. After the 90 days was over I got $2 off of my full amount when I was promised 20%, it seems like I was punished for not driving my car instead of how well or safe I drove.

The other complaint I have is I own my own home. I would not have bought renter's insurance. I have home insurance from another company but yet they charge me $5 a month for 7 months or more for renters insurance that I never asked for however, I trusted the person I was talking to from Liberty mutual, so when the forms were sent over for me to DocuSign online, apparently I should have read the small print or I would have noticed that I signed for rental insurance when it was not needed because I already explained to the person that I own my own home and I didn't need any other insurance except for my car. I trusted the Liberty Mutual representative looking out for her customers, or so I thought and expected.

As like most retirees and of course with medical issues I'm on a fixed income so an extra $5 a month for rental insurance that I didn't need seems a little ridiculous when I think they were aware of that fact that I did not need anything but what I asked for which was auto insurance only. I call to cancel I expected some sort of compensation from all this instead I got charged $2 extra for canceling plus I owed them money, how the girl explained it to me didn't make much sense but not much I can do. They have my credit card information. So buyer beware please do your homework and read every DocuSign that sent. It's a shame that you just can't trust anyone anymore.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Liberty Mutual cancelled me for what what they claim was lack of payment. I paid them by check, which they cashed on July 15th, I have the cancelled check from my bank. They cancelled me on July 23rd. Causing me to pay $1000 in fees to the DMV in Nevada (where I live). I have paid them on time for years. Oddly in June (the month before) I had two roadside assistance claims. Coincidence?? I will never have them as my insurance company again!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

My 2014 Nissan PU was struck by lightning. Was towed to a Nissan dealer for repairs. The LM claims adjuster does not respond to voice mails and LM doesn't send main and supplement checks for repairs to the correct address. The repair shop waits days for the adjuster to approve supplementary repairs. So far, my truck has been in the shop 7 weeks because LM is so slow in the claims process. I am switching car ins. companies as soon as I get my truck back. Don't use Liberty Mutual!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

For 3 years I was with Liberty Mutual as a loyal customer and safe driver. Over the course of 3 years, every year the company would raise rates for no apparent reason. The excuses I received were “it’s due to other drivers in your area, other states hit with hurricanes, and etc”. I first of Live in Las Vegas, I’ve always been a safe driver, I have friends who are law Enforcement and when I became Law Enforcement my rates still went up. This company is a utter joke, to find out that they were charging me and others like me who even aren’t Law Enforcement a high rate for other unsafe drivers is ridiculous and wrong. The company hides behind the utter fact that every insurance company does this. I agree to this slightly, but know this isn’t true as I was with 4 other companies prior to Liberty.

The slightly is the company lies because it’s them trying to recoup losses in states that were hit with severe water damages, homes, cars, and etc. They are the ones trying to gain back what they lost in profits to stay afloat. Me as a safe driver being punished by other drivers is a lie, because I spoke to my buddies and other major insurance agents, along with the State Insurance rep and received the same answers in email, writing, and by verbal that it’s the company raising rates due to their loss. The company also claimed Vegas has many unsafe drivers and deals with scams all the time. Ok I get that, but again punish the other drivers not people like myself who bundled everything with you to only be told you're paying for other people who are retarded when it comes to driving.

To say the least I dropped my bundle with them and before when I was being charged a low rate of 220.00 a month for two cars fully insurance with the highest pay backs and low cost of repairs, they upped it to 500.00 a month lol! This company is a joke, this price was without my home. Then during the month of August another driver ran a red light and totaled my car. I thought my rates went up due to that reason and the company says no lol. Liars. I read bs a mile away and all I will say is maybe other people from other states have better service than myself, but this company is a ripoff and lies to keep you as a customer. I’m currently with Geico and have been with them for over 2 years and not one price rate jump, in fact they honor drivers like myself with a track record of safe driving unlike liberty and many foolish companies alike!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I was forcibly involved in an automobile accident with a Liberty Mutual insured driver. After finally being turned over to the "senior claims adjuster" who did not bother becoming familiar with the details of the accident wouldn't answer the phone or return my calls, I received the runaround for 2 months trying to get my car fixed. I write this review as I sit for 4 hours at the auto body repair shop they requested I use and wait on the rental car I was promised would be here waiting on me. I was told by said senior claims adjuster that there was a problem with the request sent to rental company and they never received the reservation.

When the adjuster finally calls me back I was told the rental company has no available cars and they would have to try another one. Totally not surprised due to the horrible service I had received to this point, this senior claims adjuster can't even call me back and has the new rental company call me to inform me it will take them an hour and a half to drive 40 minutes from their location to mine. This is absolutely the WORST customer service I have ever had the displeasure of suffering through. I have no clue where Liberty Mutual finds their senior claims adjusters, but they are severely deficient in phone skills, email skills and scheduling. This is pathetic.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the wildly unfunny "emu" from their cheesy commercials must be in charge of customer relations/claims. Don't waste your time and patience using this company if you can avoid it, they DO NOT value customers...or the people their customer crash into. Zero stars isn't accepted as a rating!!!!

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky