Compare Quotes and Save

Liberty Mutual - Auto
3.02/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers competitively priced car insurance products along with special coverage options and discounts. Happy customers appreciate how easy it is to switch to Liberty Mutual from another provider. The company has an easy online platform to get a quote and sign up for a new policy.

PROS

• Offers accident forgiveness and new car replacement
  • RightTrack encourages good driving behavior
  • Well-established company with 100+ years of insurance experience
  • User-friendly website
  • Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund helps you save up for your deductible

CONS

• Some customers experienced an increase in rates
  • Discounts not available in all states

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1241 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Liberty Mutual spends a bunch of money on commercials about how they pay more for your car, but most people don't understand how that type of insurance works anyway. This company provided very bad service regarding incorrect information and quotes provided when originating the policy, but as a manager I was patient and realized their reps just need much more training before they get on the phones. It took 3 phone calls to get it straightened out, and paying more money just to get the original services quoted. I was exhausted from the calls and caved in hoping this was going to be a long term relationship.

When it came time for renewal after no insured claims, no changes to coverage and a 825 FICO score, the rates went up 21%. I can't speak to their service when it comes to making a claim, but my overall experience with this company was very disappointing and a waste of my time. I guess the commercial money has to come from somewhere.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I began an auto policy with Liberty Mutual earlier this month. I disclosed a recent lane change violation in my initial setup, but forgot about another lane change violation that occurred a couple of years prior. I simply paid the ticket a couple of years ago and completely forgot about it. Liberty Mutual sent me my insurance cards and a separate cancellation letter the same day, basically implying that I intentionally failed to report the one moving violation from years ago. I inquired with a representative on the website and fully explained the situation. They said that I am now barred from having coverage of any kind through Liberty Mutual indefinitely. I was literally treated like some criminal who intentionally misled them.

They could have easily adjusted my rate up upon discovery of this one minor violation, but they instead decided to do the equivalent of spitting in my face and ostracized me completely. We're not talking about a major at-fault wreck or loss of life here. It was a simple improper lane change. No fuss. Paid the ticket, moved on with my life, and completely forgot about it. Even if I could, I'd never do business with these guys again, and I'm recommending that people avoid them. If they'd rather falsely accuse you than take your money, so they can have it their way as far as I'm concerned.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I got insurance with them and it was a decent competitive price. I was happy and they were helpful. Then I bought a new car and decided to up my coverage from PLPD so I assumed it would cost me more. I live in Michigan so there are yearly flat prices for certain things that you have to pay the state for. I had paid these in full at the beginning of the year, yet when upgrading my insurance I was forced to pay these costs again meaning I ended up being overcharged by hundreds of dollars. I argued with them saying that I shouldn’t have to pay these again. They gave me a line a garbage that was completely incorrect but would not listen nor change my rate.

At the time I thought, "Oh well. I’ll see what my rate is for next year." To my surprise when I was billed for the next year my coverage went from 1400 a year to nearly 3000. That was a ridiculous jump in cost so I looked at other providers. Progressive quoted me a little over 1200 a year for my new car with full coverage which was less than the amount I paid for the last 5 months with Liberty. Liberty is definitely not competitive after they think they have you. If your prices go up, I strongly suggest you look anywhere (and I mean it) anywhere else. My current coverage for my new car with Progressive is better than my original coverage of PLPD with my old car at the same price. I’ve also had much better customer service from other providers.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I had been on Liberty Mutual Insurance for last 3 years. I had no accident nor any ticket in the last 5 years and even then Liberty Mutual increased my premium year on year. Last September 2018, Liberty increased my premium to $1900 package in spite of me repeatedly arguing with them of myself having no negative driving record, accident or any ticket. I now moved to MetLife this year and for the exact deductibles and coverage (+ AAA assistance and rentals), I got it for $1165. And I got irritated and that being my reason for posting is when I was starting to look for quote at the start of the year, they somehow got the info and send me some overnight special with a biggest discount code (though I never bothered to look into or call). Unethical practice!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

After my family been with Liberty Mutual insurance for over a year for home and autos. But when my cousin car got hit and run outside of her work while she was working. She was fortunate to have someone witnessed the person that hit her car. They took the plate number, color and model of the truck that hit her car. We then called the cop and make a report. The cop track down the person address then went to his house, but the guy did not opened his door... So therefore the cop can't do nothing about this case. They suggested that I should call my insurance... which as Liberty mutual... I called and told the claim department that my cousin's car was hit and run. They then took down the information n processed the claim.

2 weeks later they called me and tell me that the person that hit my cousin's car did not have insurance... After we got paid $550 to repair our car but then they also raised my premium to extremely high because they reported that we got into an accident. That was a false report on their end and I wanted them to corrected that but they refused not to. This have affected my record n I can't afford to buy no insurance because every company are asking for too much. Please be aware if everyone is looking for the insurance company to go with. Liberty Mutual Insurance is not as great as they said they are on their ads... Everything is false advertisement...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

After being with Liberty Mutual for over six years I noticed a huge increase in insurance costs. No accidents, no tickets, great driving record. Low mileage. As a result of the huge increase I went out and got several different quotes that varied quite a bit but all were less than Liberty Mutual and a number were substantially less at ¼ the price of Liberty Mutual. So, I went with another National carrier that was ¼ the price and once that policy was in place I called and cancelled the policy with Liberty Mutual. The process was quick, and they even backdated the cancelation to the day after my other policy went into effect, which I thought would be good for me because I would get a refund for the days, I didn’t need their policy.

To my surprise several days later I got a bill for a cancellation fee. The fee was around $500. I called to dispute and after going through several levels of customer support I was not able to get them to waive the fee. So not only do they raise the premiums beyond any reasonable amounts they will then charge you a cancellation fee when you cancel, the insurance if it’s not on the renewal date. I live in North Carolina and the customer service group started out telling me it was a fee that North Carolina charges. I checked into this and found out North Carolina doesn’t charge a fee for changing policies on a date other than the renewal date. I called back to customer service and got the manager of the department to discuss this and ask for the fee to be waived and that person told me the agreement with North Carolina doesn’t allow this to be waived because it is in the policy that they have submitted to the state.

Again, I went back to validate with the North Carolina Insurance commission and they specifically said that policy is up to the Insurance company and North Carolina does not prohibit them from waiving the fee to any individual. I then escalated to the office of the president customer service group and they kept telling me because they have this policy in the document, they can’t waive the fee, but what it really comes down to is that they won’t waive the fee. They are crooks and will try to take every penny they can get out of you. I highly recommend that you do not do business with Liberty Mutual.

I am so sick of seeing their commercials on TV about how they save you money and to go with anyone else is like throwing your money into the river. A more accurate representation would be to have Bernie Madoff as their spoke person and they are going to take as much money as they can from you and once you’ve had enough they will find a way to take some more.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I had been a customer for decades with multiple vehicles, but moved away and found upwards of 30% savings! Will never recommend to anyone. They advertise they do not penalize for your accident, but they canceled my daughter’s policy after her first accident, and when I warned Gatling my business elsewhere after being loyal customer, they said they would cover her, more than doubled her premium. My family has since saved ~30% including my daughter.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Liberty Mutual customer service is great when you call to sign up. When it comes time for a claim...there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. We filed a claim online in July of 2017. Received a response that it was being processed. Waited weeks. Received another response, more information needed, contact rep. We contacted rep. She stated they needed pictures. Sent pictures. Waited. Had to call the rep. She stated a adjuster would be sent out. Waited 2 weeks. Adjuster stated, "Give it a week and contact rep." Called rep. Left message. No callback. Waited.

Called rep again and received message she was on vacation! Called to talk to someone in charge. He stated, they were going to send adjuster out AGAIN for more pictures. Waited. Adjuster came out and verified damage. Waited for response from Liberty Mutual. Called, left message. Waited three months and then claim was denied. Even though the adjuster verified damage was caused by high winds, Liberty Mutual tried to say it was poor maintenance. They told me the adjuster was not 'QUALIFIED' TO MAKE THOSE DETERMINATIONS. Changed policy as soon as term was up.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

After being with Liberty Mutual for over ten years I noticed a huge increase in insurance costs. No accidents, no tickets, great driving record. Low mileage. They kept increasing my insurance and telling me that it was because of an increase in health costs in my state. It isn't. They discriminate against us for getting older. When I called to cancel because I finally wised up and got State Farm, they didn't record the call. So, even though I've had another insurance they sent me a bill that included a late fee and a policy cancellation effective 17 days after I canceled.

WARNING to all those who are thinking of leaving Liberty Mutual for raising your rates (even though you have a great driving record): Make sure they record the cancellation when you call. Get the name of the person you talk to. Ask them for a cancellation number or a copy of the cancellation to be sent to your email that same day. They are in control and will continue to charge you unless you can prove you cancelled. STATE FARM is a great company to switch to. They do not discriminate because of age.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

After many years with this company, they raised my auto insurance over $4000. I have paperless billing, but they say they don't notify on email but through regular mail. I spoke to them two weeks before this "increase", added a car under the normal rate and nothing was disclosed. This company practices subterfuge and ageism. We are in our 60's. No claims, no accidents, no tickets. Don't get older, folks.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have auto, home and liability policies with Liberty Mutual. In less than 3 years my premiums have increased by up to 55%. When I called to complain I was told that this is due to their increasing costs.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

After a year and a half of all payments being on time, I was two weeks late one month. About a week after mailing my check, I got a notice that there was an additional $15 late fee, so I mailed a check in for that. They didn't receive it until the day after they had it scheduled to cancel, so they issued me a cancellation refund of $9.82. Meaning that they canceled my insurance for the want of $5.18. Never have I experienced as much self-righteous, obstinate, and idiotic customer service as I did trying to talk to them about this situation.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I signed up with Liberty over the internet and signed up for a policy for around 1600 term for full coverage. 4 days later I got an email telling me that my policy went up over 1000. No notice, no phone call. Nothing. I called and was told that my license was suspended and I was driving on while it was suspended. I was never ticketed for it, I never drove on it, my wife drove while I was getting it resolved. The state of FL was quick to suspend a license for not paying a toll ticket even if you were not the driver at the time. But Liberty never bothered to ask me what happened to take it into consideration. Also I have not had a ticket for well over 5 years, Have not been in an accident in over 20 years. It's a sham, bait and switch.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I needed a tow to get a battery. When Road One arrived there were 2 men in the cab and no room for me! They promised they could jump the car and I could drive alone to Firestone for the battery. They poured Coke on the corrosion to help clean it and blew out my electrical system - no radio - no headlights. A nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Liberty Mutual bullied me into taking my truck to their approved repair facility... The repair place tripled the cost of the original estimate after they started working on my truck... They then got me to sign saying the job was complete when it really wasn't. It has been 4 months now and Liberty Mutual will not help me force the repair shop to complete the job. First thing in the morning, I will be shopping for new insurance. First thing tomorrow.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I don't know how to describe my experience with Liberty Mutual other than traumatic, horrible, demeaning, tragic... Actually, never mind. I have plenty of words to describe it. I was involved in a collision with a LM policyholder at the beginning of November in which it was entirely his fault. He pulled out of a parking garage in front of me at such a high rate of speed, leaving me no time to slow down or swerve. It happened right in front of a fire station with about 5 firefighters watching the whole thing. They called the police for us, helped us move cars, take pictures, etc. The officer came, took statements for a report, cited the LM policyholder, and it was finished. We were thankful no one was hurt - just the cars. Cut and dry.

I waited for a whole week for a call from LM (the policyholder apologized to me and informed them immediately after it happened). When she finally called, it was at 6 in the morning so I was asleep. Adjuster Mia left a message with her contact info so I called back when I woke up - no answer so I left a message. I continued to call and leave messages several times a day, every day for 2 weeks. When I finally talked to her to give my statement, it took another 2 weeks to decide on liability (80% them, 20% me). According to them, I should have magically had time to slow down to decrease the damage done to both cars. I said nope - that's not true and I would like someone else to look at this.

Long story short, my car is still totaled on the side of the road a month and a half later. And I'm going to keep it there until they decide to do what's right. At this point, it's a matter of principle. Even my insurance adjuster from my own company is horrified by their practices. LM is completely ignoring her and their lawyers as well.

I contacted the policyholder who hit me (we're friends now) to tell him that his insurance company is trash, and he has now switched to a different company already. His experience was also awful. I could go on and on about their shady customer service - calling back 2 minutes before they close, tossing me around to random numbers to leave messages, telling me there are no supervisors? Liberty Mutual is annoying at the least and insanely corrupt at the worst. I honestly can't believe they are still somehow in business. I will never be insured with them. Insure locally! Report malpractice to the state board of insurance! Trust all of these terrible reviews! At least, reading all of these, I know I'm not alone.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Horrible customer service. They claim to offer assistance; however, staff was never knowledgeable on monthly premiums when you make a change on the account. Math is supposed to be easy, not to Liberty apparently.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Was hit by Liberty Mutual Insurance (LMI) client, client assumed blame and was ticketed for his actions. LMI refused to process my claim since they had not assumed liability. Long story short after 30+ days finally get vehicle to shop. Vehicle has more extensive damage than initially thought so vehicle was total loss... This is where nightmare continues to worsen. Claims resolution person refused to provide me fair market value for my vehicle despite the fact that they are obligated to provide finances for me to purchase a comparable vehicle. So blame is place on me because I researched and got a good quality vehicle that would maintain its value AND was struck by their client.

They salvaged vehicle, but felt appropriate to offer me BELOW market value so my research to find the vehicle I felt suited my needs was for naught - I couldn't afford a replacement! They continually blamed me, the victim, for being difficult and not accepting their settlement and when I contested their settlement they retaliated against me and took rental car they had provided while my vehicle was in for repairs.

Finally insult was deductions for a dirty dashboard and dog hair on the floor of my SALVAGED vehicle - guess it was my fault for not detailing the vehicle before their client hit me, drove under my SUV and then shoved me into the car in front of me resulting in total loss of my vehicle. Was the victim of accident and then victim of claims representative and claims department manager. Better hope you never get hit by a person insured by this company or you will not be able to replace your vehicle with the same make/model/year you were driving when they hit you!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

First, let me say that Liberty Mutual cut my yearly insurance costs by $400 for the same plan I had with State Farm. So, that in itself is worth switching. But, as soon as you sign on with them they encourage you to try their "Right Track" device and promise it can save an additional large sum of money. This is totally false. I agreed to the program and attached the device to my windshield for 90 days. You download an app in your phone to monitor your performance and it also keeps a tally of what your savings will be as time goes by. The device keeps track of your braking, acceleration, and driving between midnight and 4am. By the end of the ninety day period I fell in the category of excellent driving. My ended tally totaled $207, which I was very happy with.

Once you return the device in the mail it takes one billing cycle before the discount is factored in. I was very excited to have saved myself another $207 a year. After signing into my account I noticed my monthly bill was only $5 less per month. I called customer service and they informed me that the 10% discount I received initially when I switched over was factored into the "Right Track" discount and that my additional savings per year would be $64. I told the rep that the whole thing was very misleading, and she told me they're working better communication to their customers. So, the bottom line is Liberty Mutual offers great rates, but this "Right Track" deal is a sham. Don't bother.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Liberty Mutual are pimps. They are not true to their word, agreement or policy. They raised my policy 3x in less than 6 months stating I didn't date form correctly. I have had no accidents. They are criminals, pimps.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I am still waiting three months for my claim to be processed. I pay for full coverage and have repeatedly thousands of dollars and that’s not the 20 years of insuring. Wow that’s nuts. The amount a person pays for insurance you would be better off.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My daughter's car was totaled by a Liberty Mutual policyholder and they have been the worst company to deal with. We rejected their first lowball offer then they have not gotten back to us in two weeks after we several left messages. Be careful with this company as they have horrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Liberty Mutual is horrible. On October 6 my wife and I got rear ended and my car was totaled by another Liberty Mutual customer. We are the victims and they refuse to help me replace my car. So the only thing they help us with was paying for a rental car for 2 weeks and even though I had GAP insurance they still refuse to help me get another car. GAP insurance is supposed to pay off the car if any money is still left on the car loan. What they claim to do in the commercial is nothing more than a scam to get you to sign up and after finally getting another car my new car loan is now $500 a month even more expensive than my old car. What am I paying them for if they don’t protect me and my car? Stay far away from these people.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Please check your policy especially if you have added or removed a vehicle. Liberty Mutual failed to update my auto policy with a new vehicle that I called in 8 months ago. I was eventually passed over to the resolution dept who could only update my policy as it should have been 8 months ago. The customer service rep stated that even though the correct vehicle was not on the policy (it was in notes) I still would have been covered, however they were not willing to provide me with a documentation stating so. This is unacceptable, and unfortunate when a company does not take responsibility for errors. A customer should be taken care of with the idea of accomplishing satisfaction not just a receiving a paycheck.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have been a Liberty Mutual customer for over 9 years. Today, I discovered that my auto insurance was cancelled 3 months ago. The reason I did not know it had been canceled was because they sent a letter to my old house even though they knew the address for my new house - they are still insuring it and sent the old cards to it. When I called to figure out what was going, I discovered they canceled the auto policy only for too many claims. What claims I said? I then remembered we had a claim two years ago. They said I had had five claims over the last six years. To my shock, they were counting roadside assistance as a claim for purposes of underwriting. Stay away from them at all cost. Former Liberty Mutual client of 9 years.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have had the RightTrack (ODBC II) port for about 3 weeks. I also have a wide-angle front and rear dashcam that keeps time-stamped video and audio. After seeing about 6 acceleration events (at that time no braking events), I decided to pull the video and watch it from 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the stated time. I managed to see (guess) what caused the acceleration event. It was this: I was travelling on a limited access roadway just after 5 am, and on cruise control set right around 52 mph.

As the grade of the road changed to a slight uphill, the transmission shifted into a lower gear to maintain speed. (There was no acceleration. The cruise control merely properly maintained speed.) This caused 3 acceleration events (somehow) to be recorded in one minute intervals. I have since stopped using cruise control, and allow the vehicle to slow down on (even gentle) uphill slopes. Since that time, 2 braking events were recorded that never really happened. I will be pulling the video on those later. I have to agree with the posters that said there is a problem in the Right Track technology. Most of the events it records will be spurious.

I also did a little more experimentation. It appears to measure acceleration and braking along two completely separate vectors. The data I have collected suggest that an event is registered if either vector boundary is crossed. One vector is the rate of change of the speedometer needle (this also should be the same as the rate of speed change on the drive wheels). In order to test this, you would need access to a dynamometer. (Device used to test emissions with older vehicles.) The mileage increase with the vehicle on a dynamometer is registered by the RightTrack device, and therefore actual vehicle movement is not required. Use of a dynamometer isn't advised, however, because unlike in an actual road situation, the wheel speed can alter dramatically quickly in this situation, and result in both braking and acceleration events due to its measurement of the "wheel speed" vector.

The other vector appears to be engine speed, or i.e. rapid RPM changes. This can also trigger as acceleration or braking events independently of changes in the drive wheel's rotational speed. Other than simply starting the program, and then not driving the car for 3 months, (which is usually not an option), the best bet is to plan your routes so that you drive fairly long distances on limited access roads. Avoid local routes where the density of start/stop per unit mile is high. Try to reduce the event per mile density. All that said, I can’t complain about the way the program is set up. Even if I only get the 5% minimum, it will carry forward for the life of the vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

While taking a weekend away in Annapolis to propose to my fiance, my VW Tiguan was severely damaged by a valet at the hotel in which we were staying. Consequently, the hotel told me that Liberty Mutual, their insurance, would be handling my car and "make me whole" asap. This incident occurred on Sunday Nov 4, and was told to expect a call no later than the 6th. Not only did I not receive a proactive call by the 6th, I had to proactively call and pressure Liberty to get my claim addressed in their system. Had it not been the case, it would been overlooked. I finally spoke to an agent the 8th, however I was away for business.

Off to a bad start, I spoke with the agent in charge of the claim, Zakiya ** about the process. We clarified that I needed to go to an approved venue for an estimate, and then I could take the car to my autobody shop. I got the estimate on 11/13 from Martin Collision at 9am, and the report was sent directly to Zakiya and me from the representative. The next morning I took my car to my auto body shop, and email Zakiya to let her know of this at 845 am. I received a vm at 4 pm est from Zakiya stating that she never approved the release of funds to fix my car, and questioned why I dropped the vehicle off. I called back only to find she was out of the office (approx 3:30 PM her local time central). I called the 800 to find her supervisor, and was connected to Michael **, with whom I left a vm, and followed up with an email.

I did not receive a reply from either employee to this date. I called back after not being answered with multiple voicemails and emails. I finally asked to speak to another supervisor, who was very helpful and released the funds right away. He saved the day, but not the aggravation and time lost from the other two individuals.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I had a small accident in July 2018 and I was cited (first ticket I've ever gotten and am 64 years old). Talked to Liberty Mutual about their advertised "Accident Forgiveness". I didn't qualify because I didn't know you had to sign up for it prior to the Accident? Asked what I could do to reduce my rates, I'm single and insure 2 vehicles. One vehicle is a truck I keep full coverage on, but rarely drive (drive it around the block every couple weeks) and keep it at a friend's house a few miles away. The representative suggested I try their "Right Track", which are devices you put in your vehicle, and they judge your driving habits for 90 days. You can get up to a 30% discount if they judge you to be a good driver.

I was told they rate you on 4 factors, the hours you drive (between midnight and 4 AM isn't good), the amount of miles you drive, how fast you accelerate, and how fast you brake. I signed up, installed the devices they sent, and installed the phone app. One thing that didn't make sense is taking points from you for decelerating quickly. I normally stop for yellow lights, but since I had the Right Track installed, had to run a few lights I normally would of stopped at. The Phone App tells you how you did each day and how many miles they registered you. I did have a few of "OK" even though it showed I drove 3 miles. The majority of them showed Great.

At the end of the 90 days, it showed I had driven my primary vehicle 904 miles, the truck didn't register any miles (even though I did drive it around the block every couple weeks just to keep flat spots off the tires). I got a whopping 9% discount on my primary vehicle, and no discount on the truck I hadn't driven. I called Liberty Mutual and asked why. I had too many fast decelerations on my car, never drove within the hours of 12 AM to 4 AM, 904 miles and only qualified for 9%. I got no discount on my truck because I didn't take it out and risk having an accident in it, so they could see how I drove it. So they're saying with Right Track, run yellow lights and drive/risk your vehicle more in order to qualify for a discount.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I signed up for "Right Track", believing the program would help save me money in auto premiums, so their advertising says. I work from home M-Th and I do not use my vehicle at all. Yet I watch the "Projected Yearly Savings" change during the week to lower dollar savings amounts! It was $42, then $39, then $38. Then $37. No reason at all. The closer I got to the 90 days mark, the faster the amounts changed to lower amounts. All the "Latest Recorded Trips" over the weekend were accounted for. Yet, the $ savings amount arbitrary would change during the week while the vehicle sits in the garage. It's like someone is spinning a wheel and whatever dollar amount it lands on at that moment, is the lower amount of savings. Never higher amount of savings. ALWAYS lower - and the car is stationary! Plus, there's no rhyme or reason to their ratings of "Ok" "Good" "Great".

I drive from my house to the grocery store and back, 3 miles each way about the same time on Friday early afternoon. Traffic conditions the same, very few cars, usually no stopping. From my house, I can make it to the store without even stopping. My subdivision goes into a roundtable, and the few lights are usually green. Weather-wise, nothing out of the ordinary. No variations in my braking, or accelerating, (or driving between 12a and 4a), yet I get various ratings such as "ok" to "good" to "great". Calling Liberty Mutual, all I get for an answer is "the app is from a third-party"... It would appear I will be a very short-term customer of Liberty Mutual. I would have rather Liberty Mutual not offer this "incentive" versus experiencing what appears to be a scam. And not getting any answers from Liberty Mutual.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Because of a tragedy, I had to switch vehicles and also switch to a more reasonable Insurance Company. I called Liberty Mutual and told them that I'd like to pay in full any remaining balance with the assurance that I would not receive another bill at a later time because I am now in a dire need to help my mom at this time. I was put on hold to verify everything and to ensure that there would not be a future balance. So I paid in full. The rep assured me, with a chuckle, saying "There will only be a zero balance so you'll never see a withdrawal because you cannot see zero's". I asked her to document that. She told me she had already done - so. I paid the full balance over the phone.

Two weeks later I was alerted by my bank of a nonsufficient fund fee, due to a larger withdrawal from Liberty Mutual. (I thought about making sure that they could not withdraw bogus money before the 28th since that was my normal payment date). But Liberty Mutual withdrew money earlier, on the 14TH, which they had never done before. It was a totally different and made-up amount. I talked to the supervisor, who told me that she had no way to prove that I was told that I was paying the balance in full. I told her to read the notes. She told me that she did not see that in the notes. So I told her to listen to the recorded call and since her worker told me that it was paid in full, with no balance, that that should justify that I should be refunded money taken out of my account without my permission. I told her to listen to the recorded call. She told me that the calls are only recorded for a short time and then deleted.

I told her that it was less than a month. She said the calls are not saved. She kept repeating the same statement no matter what I said. And still refused to refund the money, saying that she is the supervisor and the manager and no one is over her and that that they'll speak to the original worker's supervisor to tell on that worker. After many many calls, she decided only to return the nonsufficient bank fee of $19, but not the made-up sum of money withdrawn from my acct without my permission and without notice. I just saw a commercial on TV from them. Now I see how they're paying for those expensive commercials. BEWARE of Liberty Mutual!!!

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky