Liberty Mutual - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My truck was wrecked back in December of 2016 and the body shop they preferred is B and H and as of March 22nd 2017 my truck is there. I started off where I couldn't even get a rental car and then I finally got one. I have made 14 trips to the body shop and it's been a nightmare. My truck is a 2006 GMC Sierra and was in extremely good condition. I've picked this truck up several times to find more damage so like I have noted it's been a nightmare.

They also have a field rep who works for Liberty Mutual named David. This guy is a joke but if he is stupid enough to issue a check for $3,024.00 for them to paint a quarter panel and put a Z-71 sticker on then I guess liberty mutual is getting the best rep (huh). I have numerous times tried to speak to someone who is in upper management with no success and at this point I don't know what I'm going to have done about this matter. I'm paying for full coverage insurance and they're installing junkyard parts and Liberty is paying for new part prices. Extremely bad customer service. So if anyone at Liberty Mutual in upper management reads this please contact me for more details. Thanks.

I was put into contact with Liberty Mutual when I was attempting to obtain a quote for USAA insurance for home and auto. Liberty mutual is apparently the carrying agent. The first agent I spoke to asked me to wait until I was certain of my new address (I am in the process of moving into a new house). When I tried to call him back two weeks later, he was out of office and had no one available to take his new clients. I waited another week, contacted the agent, and received a quote from him. He gave me a quote claiming it was $500 less a year than my existing insurance. He asked for a payment over the phone. I informed him that I wanted to go over the quote with my wife and existing insurance before finalizing the policy.

When I contacted my present company, I found that he was misrepresenting his claim. I actually had more coverage for less money with my existing insurance. I called and asked for a refund of my deposit. Today, I came home from work to find out LIBERTY Mutual had contacted the department of transportation of my state and told them I didn't have insurance. The DOT wanted me to take the plates off my vehicles and not drive them until I got insurance. Even though I still had my original insurance. Calls to Liberty Mutual accomplished nothing. They refused to correct their mistakes.

I went online and applied for auto and renters insurance together. They told me auto wasn't available to me in my area but renters was. They gave me a high renters rate and now call me phone nearly ever hour. They advertise nearly every 10 minutes on a local station not even 60 miles from me on how good their auto insurance is and it is not even available.

The Right Track program is a scam. It's to prove you're a bad driver even when you're not. I average about 100 miles per week or less. No record of rapid acceleration. No record of hard braking. No night time driving. Bottom line is I drive like an old person. At 46 yrs. old, I've never had an accident or speeding ticket... after three weeks my percentage has gone from 30% to 22%. At the rate I'm going it looks like I'll need a new insurance company within a month. My premium is also substantially more than it should be...

We got hit by a person who had Liberty Mutual Insurance. They accepted full responsibility. From the onset I told them I wanted factory original equipment parts used in the repair. Their appraiser came up with a cost of about $3400 for the repairs but he included the use of two aftermarket parts. I refused to accept the aftermarket parts (the two parts in question would have increased the repair cost by $92). They told me that if I didn't accept their estimate I would have to return the rental car the next day, leaving us without the transportation we needed, while fighting them in court. Such a cheap outfit. I recommend staying clear of them. FYI the people that hit us said they had had Liberty Mutual for 15 years and were very upset with the way Liberty was representing them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

We placed numerous phone calls to our assigned "Rep" and could not get a return phone call for almost two weeks no matter how many messages we left. We finally got to a CS agent named Keegan (I apologize if that is not correct) who was helpful and polite and a credit to LM. NOT returning policy holders' telephone calls is unacceptable and reflects poorly on what I believe is a good and responsible company.

She, our Claim Rep, returned our call this am after we sent a rather critical, but still polite and well versed email but we already had gotten help from someone else. Management needs to understand that unreturned phone calls, particularly those that are repeatedly ignored, can negate positive public opinion. LM spends a lot of money on advertising and is a good company, but more attention needs to be paid to the damage that can be done by an UNRESPONSIVE CR. I prefer not to leave our claims number as I have no wish to cause an issue for any employee but perhaps more training is needed and better policies established regarding response times.

I have been with Liberty Mutual insurance for a while. I was very pleased at first because the rates are reasonable plus they gave me the opportunity to save more money by monitoring my driving for three months. I saved an additional 9% with that device. I was having the same amount deducted from my account every month until this month ($103.67). I don't recall getting any notice of a rate change but when I checked my bank account my rate jumped $94 a month to $198.08. Keep in mind I did not change cars. I have not had any tickets or accidents.

I contacted Liberty Mutual customer service and they said that there was nothing on my record that cause that change. It's just that in my area in Texas they have more claims and they have to spread that out and make rate adjustments. I believe those that cause insurance companies to have to do rate adjustments are to be rated up and not good drivers who did not cause any issues or make claims. So my auto insurance jumped over $1000 a year for me being a good driver. I immediately got online and started shopping for insurance. I did go with another company that is a small increase from what I was paying with Liberty but considerably less than what Liberty was going to charge me. For quite a while I was talking up Liberty Mutual until yesterday.

We have had Liberty Mutual for all of our coverage for decades. We filed a claim and Liberty paid it. When we sued the third party that caused the damages, we settled out of court for far less than the original loss. So we were losing money to start with. Liberty stepped in and said since they paid us, they wanted get their money first. They were made whole. We lost about six thousand dollars. On the positive side, we found another carrier that will save us almost two thousand dollars a year!!! I just canceled all of our polices with Liberty.

I reported my claim and they have yet to be able to set up the appraisal accurately. After repeated phone calls and emails to their main number and adjuster assigned to me, they couldn't seem to identify a field agent to come to my office to do the appraisal. I now have a local repair shop assigned to me and I get a garbled message to my home number today from what I think is the repair shop, but they left no return number. Horribly frustrating customer service! Their TV ads are ridiculously misleading.

I was a loyal L.M. customer for years, but in addition to raising my rates over the years for no reason, they admit that a stinking $99.00 towing charge remained on my acct even after I returned a claim check and "closed" it out. Now I find out that despite their assurances, this $99 WILL raise my premium yearly. They don't know if it can be resolved and have run me around for 18 months over this. They are either incompetent or purposely frustrating me. I'm done with these people.

My 2004 Toyota was fully covered from 2004 to Jan 2017. In Oct 2017 I received a bill that went from $129.00 to $151.00. When I called to ask why they gave me a song and dance how medical costs were up in my area etc. I am getting older (66) and so is my car. Replacement costs going down but premiums going up. My payment was the 29th of the month, I cancelled the 24th. I was told that I owed $117.74? How could that be, payment was due the 29th for February?

I just received a email threaten me that if I don't pay the balance by the 6th of March the bill will go to collections. I just received a paper bill in the mail on Saturday the 10th of Feb which I mailed out on the 13th of Feb. Being a customer for 13 years I expected more. I may have kept the insurance if not for their greed and increase in Oct. I switched to GEICO and now I am saving $1,058.00 a year. In the end I guess Liberty Mutual did me a favor. Being on a fixed income and COLA increase being $7.00 a month and car insurance increased $22.00 a month does not work.

They had changed my home policy without to informed us - when we contacted them about problem in our house - they refused to help us because our policy changed last year. We never contact them or sign any paper or agreed about any change.

Drive Right Program - Not a scam, but a disingenuous program where the top prize of a 30% is a scam. I am a retired over-the-road truck driver and, trust me, I know all about driving for good fuel mileage and safe driving, as the are almost one and the same. So I started the program, and wishing a week I had no violations but it did not give me a 30% rating... it only said 22%. I called and asked; what's up with that? Blah blah blah... no one could tell me why. Then I was finally able to speak with a supervisor or something, and they told me that their 'system' is not to be publicized... so they can't share it with me.

Okay, so, I kept driving, doing what I always do (on my pickup, not my big truck) and at two weeks, I checked to see how I was doing... no events: none. Yet my 'discount' was still at 22%, no change... so I called again. Same deal, they cannot explain why I am only scheduled for a 22% discount when I have NO EVENTS. They said, "well, maybe you need to drive more"... "okay, how much more?" "Nope, We can't tell you that"... So, basically, how to get a 30% deduction was a company secret. I asked how many people get a 30% discount. "Nope. We can't tell you that." "Okay; how do I get 30%?" "We can't tell you that."

So, after being rebuffed I did a 'test'... I purposefully accelerated and braked HARD and marked the time so I could see the event posted to my account. Guess what. The events posted... my discount...? 22%. So, I drove with no events for the remaining time, only those two, and guess what my discount was... yep: 22%

When I called to complain again, they gave me the.... 'no one we know ever got that high.... BS' so I was disgusted with their behavior and told them so. That the 30% discount is BS... and I could prove it. No one would talk to me after that. So, the best you can do is 22%... not 30%. If a class action lawsuit is filed, it needs to be for false advertising. Yes, I am still with LM and receiving my 22% discount. It is still the best deal around. I just hate being lied to.

Call company to change the account payments were being withdrawn from. Customer service messed up the payment change so the next payment came from the wrong account again. Called to have it corrected... Two and half weeks later payments are still not correct. Refund still not issued back to incorrect account. I canceled the whole policy...

I called for a quote... The adjuster was very unprofessional. I am 47 year old woman who has been driving since I was 17. I have no accidents or tickets and I was quoted $2000 down and $187 a month. I am a retired veteran and drive less than 6,000 miles a year. And, I live in a small town in Alabama and have no other drivers in my household. I have never been late on any payment, car or insurance. When I asked for any reason whatsoever as to why the quote is so high she responded, "It just is." This Company is Dookey!!!

I had Liberty Mutual insurance in the past. It is the worst insurance company to deal with when you need them. I canceled my insurance with them; because the claim adjuster is very insensitive, rude, and unprofessional. Recently one of their insured hit my car while my car was parked. I could not get in touch with Adjuster they sign for me, it has been 3 months the issue is still not solve. The Adjuster was very rude and unprofessional; I never had such negative experience with an insurance company. I had different insurance companies in the past for my car, home. I never had such a negative experience. I would never recommend Liberty Mutual to anyone. I am so happy with my current insurance with Farm Bureau. It is wonderful company to be insure with.

I have been with Liberty Mutual for several years. After reporting a claim I found out that I did not have a gap insurance. I switched vehicles and told them that I wanted everything to remain the same as the other vehicle. They told me "OK" over the phone and I didn't find out until my vehicle was a total loss that the gap was never transferred over to my new vehicle. They did not do anything to try to help me with my complaint. They told me to call 800-number and that was it.

I am putting in a corporate complaint as well as calling the insurance Commissioner. They also told me that the car that I transferred over to did not qualify for gap and she was because of the year of the vehicle which was a lie. I brought another vehicle and get the gap insurance through the car dealership. If you add a vehicle and one make sure you get your proper insurance papers and get everything in writing because the exit forgiveness and giving you a new vehicle and place of your old one is bogus. They need to change their commercials because they are mine and I want the customers to pay for their Commercials. Like another customer they told me that because of the area I was in in Maryland that that's why the insurance went up but that was not the case. I called around and that was FALSE INFORMATION.

My husband was hit from behind by a person with Liberty Mutual Insurance while at a stop light. It took 2 weeks for them to get in contact with us about the car despite our numerous phone calls to them. We were assigned to adjuster Tawanna **. Our car was deemed a total loss and they proceeded to send us a settlement offer for wholesale price of our Lexus. The comparable cars that they used for the valuation where cars with 40,000 more miles on them than our car two states away and without the features that our car had. When we provided proof of things that they missed on the valuation (Navigation, Mark Levinson stereo and in perfect condition), they would not adjust the valuation. How can an accident that was not our fault actually COST us money to become whole again??? Awful company!

Rental Car, Hesitation on paying for car repairs. OMG! You would think Full Coverage is Full Coverage. It's not! You have to make sure you're also paying for car rental, tow, roadside service. It's time to change to a insurance that has an office where you can go sit down and talk to someone and know that you are covered 100%. I'm not paying for a very expensive company that has No employees, no office, and no time to talk to you. I would think twice before using this company, as I will in finding somewhere better to send my money.

I've literally been on hold with HEADQUARTERS now for over 30 minutes! There seems to be absolutely no one that can provide any assistance. I've been hung up on, told I was going to be called back several times, and it's going on a month since I filed a claim. I've been given the run around, back and forth, etc. It's very concerning and frustrating that someone has to literally BEG a company to do their job. I've spoken with about 4 - 5 different people from this company and have yet to get any answers on moving forward with this claim and getting my car repaired.

It would be really nice to hear back from ANYONE in this company with some actual answers, with actual instructions on what the next steps are. I would absolutely NEVER recommend this company to anyone I know because the customer service is horrible. They honestly make me feel (and judging by the reviews, many others) like they have zero concern for me, my claim, or my time. I feel like they are trying to buy time to somehow work their way around accepting fault and getting my car repaired.

This company operates in the most deceptive way. They refuse to cancel insurance and threaten customers with collections if they don't renew with them. They insist you must have their insurance. BEWARE. These thieves will try to bill you even if you notify them that you don't intend to renew. This has been a common complaint by customers with the Better Business Bureau. I advise that if you are looking for insurance avoid Liberty Mutual Insurance, you will be glad you did. Informed consumers should also read other customer experiences written about this company in ConsumerAffairs.

I was sideswiped on 1/13/17 on my way to work. Of course the other guy denied hitting me and my insurance (Liberty Mutual) suggested that I just use them to get the repairs done. The adjuster assigned my claim. It took days to respond to emails and phone calls and when the time came to pay for the repairs to my vehicle I could not reach anyone at the company. I also had a claim on my home and the adjuster actually falsified documents writing that she spoke with me on a specific time and date and gave me information, well I was actually on a plane headed to a funeral on that date so there was no way she talked to me but she had the audacity to put that statement in writing. I will change companies once this mess is straightened out and suggest anyone who is considering using Liberty Mutual find a better alternative.

I was in a wreck in August 2016 with an ER visit and multiple soft tissue problems. My car was pronounced totaled pretty quickly but the process to receive payment was fairly long and complicated then I didn't get a rental car for very long to be able to find a replacement - my husband and I had to carpool for a while. Now at the end of January/beginning of February my liability claim is being settled and Liberty Mutual does not go by any formula of 1.5 or 2 times your medical bills. They actually offered a quarter of my medical bills for the pain and suffering portion. Very disappointed.

I would have thought you would take care of potential customers - if a customer is happy after a claim they may become a future customer - not us. Low ball offers and not willing to negotiate much has left us more frustrated. Not a simple or easy process going through a wreck and Liberty Mutual hasn't made the process any easier for us - lots of calls and emails back and forth.

Don't believe all the "hoopla" the television commercials advertise. The "accident forgiveness" and "new car replacement" are only provided to certain policy holders and not others. Furthermore, their claims adjusters act like they could care less about your accident/claim or amount they are covering. Plan for it to be a "he said/she said" game right up until the very end. Oh, and if you are waiting for a return phone call or email you might as well call their Presidential Customer Service number right out of the gate because you won't hear back from your low-level claims adjuster. Not a good insurance company in my experience and I am the Policyholder. So disappointed to say the least.

I called to ask if our auto insurance rate would be going down as I was so enthusiastically told would happen when our policy renews. No it jumped up by $46 dollars a month?! Why I asked. She explained due to cars being so expensive now and those cars requiring costly repairs they've had to raise their rates across the board!? Is that my fault I mean seriously, I have to pay $46 more a month because of their cost to repair and/or replace!? Today I turned 61 with no tickets no major accident or repairs and my birthday present was our auto insurance is going up to $204 from $158?? I'm so upset b/c it's such **!!

She goes on to say my husband and I could take "safe driving classes" oh and raise our deductibles to $1000 from $500!? I'm like "what's that going to save me?" She responds $8-10 bucks a month! I'm saying hell no what I'm going to do is begin another insurance quotes days shopping for new auto and home insurance (yes house with them too)! I'm so sick of we the little guy getting stuck with the big green wiener at every turn, it's this kind of treatment that keeps people from saving or taking a vacation. We're getting screwed and Liberty Mutual along with all the rest of these "must have products"companies get richer off us. Sickens me!

When I originally got the insurance the rates were low and my record was clean. My record is still clean and my monthly payment amount is reduced because I am a member of a federal credit union. When I have a question I call and a real person answers the phone. This is such a relief because I hate talking to robots. Liberty Mutual may not replace my 1992 Toyota Camry if ever I was in an accident, but after pricing quotes from other auto insurance companies they are the lowest.

I was rear ended by one of Liberty Mutual's clients on 12-13-2016 and it took weeks to even begin to get anywhere with this company. Once they finally accepted fault and agreed to repairs, I took my car to the body shop only for another catastrophe. First, they refused to replace my bumper covers and bumper because they wanted them "repaired" even though the body shop told them they couldn't be repaired. The body shop took my car apart and sent them pictures (once again) of the damage and they agreed to replace the parts. Mind you, I Drive a 2015 Toyota Highlander and they refused to replace it with Toyota parts but would only replace it with after market or generic parts. When I called to discuss this matter with them and tell them I wanted my car replaced just like it was prior to the accident, they told me they wouldn't do that because it was cheaper for them to replace the damage with generic parts!

This is the most unreasonable and horrific company I have ever dealt with as far as automotive goes. It is ridiculous to be rear ended and it is no fault of your own and they will not even replace your damage with genuine parts! I would never recommend them for anything and I hope you all never get involved in a collision with a driver who has this insurance. I cannot say one positive thing about them. They were also very rude in all of their interactions.

I called them & they took care of everything. No further communication was needed. I have no problems with customer service. Has always been great policy at a reasonable cost. Rates seem to be rising.

I had hit by some person with Liberty Mutual insurance and after they accept liability they say the only use part there are no genuine for my car and if I want part OEM I had to pay for them. How is that possible? The other party insurance is not cover the right part for our cars is something unexpected hopefully I was not injured on accident that means that if a person is injured they no going cover the right treatment instead they take you to hospital they will put you on with some **. Hell nooo. It's no fair because they charge everybody for a services and they no up to that service.

I saved half of what I was paying. Their rates are good, customer service is great. Only negative I can give would be their policies are quite confusing to understand. They need to be more customer friendly.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.
  • Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.
  • Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.
  • Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.
  • Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.
  • Best for New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Compare Auto Insurance