Find the Best Match

Liberty Mutual - Auto
3.41/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

1179 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I am 54 and I have never gotten a ticket. Because of my clean record, they claim I was given extra discounts that offered this low premium. There was a slow creep in the premium over time but I received my first ticket and my premium went from approx $630 to approx $1230 (6 month premium). Annual was well over $2200. This was with a bundle package. I received pleasant customer service rep but unfortunately her hands are tied by policy and procedures. I am completely dissatisfied and disappointed. Beware of the sales rep that offers you a great deal if you have a clean record. The deal is that once you get a ticket you can’t go back.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

3 weeks ago, a Liberty Mutual customer hit my brand new (2 weeks old) vehicle. Can't get ANY answers or even a return phone call from the Claims Representative. Think they should at try to live up to the claims in their commercials. After 3 weeks, claim still unresolved.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We decided to change our car insurance to LM and if we bundled our home the cost was going to save us a lot of money. They said someone would come by to make sure our home passed their guidelines to be covered but went ahead and processed payment over the phone quickly. We got a letter in the mail stating our home could not be insured because it was a mobile home, debris in the yard, and shingles needing replaced. We have a house, metal roof, and clean yard. We called them to inform them they must went to our neighbors house which is for sale. No one at LM was willing to talk to us.

A week later we called back and they agreed to send us a copy of the report. It was pictures of our neighbors house and OUR mailbox. The neighbors mailbox is right before ours. After fighting to get someone to understand that this was not our home they told us we could take pictures of our home and send to their underwriting team to consider sending someone back out. They FINALLY canceled both auto and home policies after I refused to beg them to give us a second chance after they were so quick to take our money but surveyed the wrong property. They also sent a copy to our mortgage lender explaining why they could not insure our home. But they were not going to send someone to look at our actual home again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Added a vehicle. Was told it would raise payment to $242 monthly. One time prorated of $383. Needless to say this morning I see they took $383 out AGAIN! Call and get told, "That is your new payment because of rate increase!!!"

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I talked to an amazing lady giving me great rates with Liberty Mutual and signed on. Afterwards my insurance rates went up steadily until they doubled! When I finally got a new insurance company, they charged me $100 for cancelling my car insurance two weeks before cancelling my home insurance. I talked to a customer service representative who could not help me and kept trying to tell me my bank would pay me back (but I had already been issued a check showing the amount was removed). When I escalated I was told that because I cancelled my car insurance policy two weeks before the home, they took my combined discount for the year out. AND they won't give it or any part of it back. Most of the customer service reps I talked to were not helpful. The initial salesperson and the person who cancelled my policy were the only two who were remotely helpful. I am so happy to be done with this company. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

An insured of LM hit my vehicle while it was parked. Rather than cover costs to repair the cosmetic damage to the quarter panel, LM insisted going with a replacement estimate so they could total my 2001 Mercury. This forced me to send them my clear title in order to buy the car back; then endure a lengthy title process, only to get a rebuilt title in the end. The car is 17 years old and sustained only cosmetic damage. I don't even think you can buy a new quarter panel for it. It cost LM more money to total the car, INCLUDING the buy back cost, rather than just pay the bill to repair it. All said and done, repairs to the quarter panel were less than $200. And we wonder why insurance rates are so high. Shame on you Liberty Mutual. Your careless decision costs everyone.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I bought Liberty Auto Insurance about a year ago. When I talked to the agent he quoted an amount that I was content with but then billed me for quite a bit more. I called and asked about this discrepancy, even talking to a manager, and told them to go back on their taping and "you'll find he quoted me three times this fake payment amount." I asked him specifically 3 times if the rate would go up, if the rate was set in stone and they wouldn't raise it because another company did the same thing to me. He continually said "No, it won't go up." You guessed it, it went up considerably. The manager said she'd get back to me after listening to the tape but, you guessed it, no call came.

I then called them 8 months later and told them to take off the roadside coverage and renter's insurance and they quoted an amount in the low $40 dollar range. I get my first bill after the change and, you guessed it, bill is $9 over their quote. I emailed them and am awaiting an answer. I'm done with this company and will keep writing these reviews about their dishonest procedures as much as I can.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My car insurance went up over $600 from last year for NO reason, no tickets, no accidents, no claims. I was suckered in 2 years ago with reasonable rates... then LM waited 2 years and jacked the ** out of my rates... homeowners went up also. I called LM and got no satisfaction... "Ooh, if you change this and drop that we can shave a couple bucks off your rates"... ** Liberty Mutual is no more than a ** scam on the American public period. Yes, I will post this on the internet.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

After 27 years with Liberty Mutual (NO INSURANCE CLAIMS), we were quite happy. Our agent made all the difference. We decided to move across country to a new state. We tried with no success to continue our insurance with Liberty Mutual. After our quoted Rate went up 2.5 times to our perfect record. The customer service was horrible. Our agent of 27 years was unable to help. After selling our home and canceling our Auto 5 months ago, we got a letter in the mail, canceling our home insurance, due to the fires in our state. So, after all these years paying in and not using it. They hire bad people with poor customer service skills. Cancel your Insurance after the insurance has been canceled, plus those commercials that make you feel like you're an idiot or you have kids that are idiots. Supposed to be funny! I guess! Pass over this company and find one that really wants your business.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Recently bought a new car and auto insurance. I was lucky enough to have Adam ** as my agent. When Progressive couldn’t help me at all, I called Liberty Mutual and Adam **, of Colorado Springs, saved the day. Without his help we would have ended up not purchasing the vehicle. He was incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and took care of business in a very expedited and professional way. Since I’ve purchased auto insurance, he has always been available to answer any and all questions I’ve had, always responding in a timely manner giving me clarity and peace of mind about all aspects of my policy. I’m very pleased with everything Adam has done and can only wish that there were more top notch agents like him around.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

LM bills a month behind. Any accidents caused by another (includes hit and run with police report) increases your rate the next year, (LM does not discriminate).

Rates are very high. (changed company after eight years renters down 53 /yr, auto down 180 with better coverage and lower deductible. My credit rating 800 +

Insured me for a car I never owned for one year without insurance on my car. Did not take responsibility for it. Blamed DMV, dealer, etc. Changed companies in 5 days. Loved my agent. Try an independent agent and let them look at multiple companies and compare coverage. You just might be surprised... Very surprised.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I was rear ended at a red light by an insured of Liberty Mutual and claims wanted to offer 7k to which medical bills totaled over $5k. I am floored as to how this figure came about and they wish to protect the insured and not my injuries and own up to the issue to which I have to live with my injuries for the rest of my life. I am at the urge to file a lawsuit and if anyone else is having issues with receiving a livable claim on an accident I suggest a lawsuit and reviews with BBB and Consumer Affairs to filed.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We had automatic billing set up for two years. When went to cancel our policy they MADE UP a charge stating we weren't charged correctly last billing cycle. Our regular payment was 216 but when we cancelled they charged us $254! We thought they were a good reputable company but they are just another crooked insurance company. We thought $215 month for two cars was ok for how young we were... but then we went with Say Insurance under shelter insurance. We got more coverage and now we only pay $135 a month. I had a $1000 deductible under Liberty Mutual. Now my deductible is $500. I have never been in an accident. When looking for a insurance company don't go with Liberty Mutual. They will just overcharge you for everything.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We had a claim a year and a half ago and everything went smoothly (car was totaled in wreck). On July 6th my Tahoe was broken into and they tried to steal it. Apparently that did not work, so had it towed to service shop that they chose, which was fine with me. Well, the steering column had been discontinued (was a 2002) so they had total the vehicle. It is now over a month later and still nothing. I don't really blame Liberty, so much, but the claims representative (Alicia **) is horrible. The service shop called me several times asking that the insurance company contact them because she would not return their e-mails or calls. Well, she would not ever return my calls or e-mails either. So I would talk to another representative or a supervisor and they would help me out as best as they can but couldn't do much since she was the "assigned" rep. This was just ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was driving on the highway at night and a truck next to me threw a retread right at my car. It hit the car on the driver's side front, lost a turn signal and fog light lens, that was about it. I called my agent and he told me the claim was comprehensive. I called LM in the morning and they confirmed it was comprehensive and told me to take the car to an authorized repair center. My car has 180k miles and is ten years old, had the claim been collision I would have bought the two lenses and been back in business but the lens were over $100 and the comprehensive decision had been made by LM.

I took the car to their repair center and the claim person also concluded the claim was comprehensive. You can see where I'm going here. The car is fixed, it has been almost 2 months, they did a great job all is well. LM calls me yesterday and tells me the claim assignment to comprehensive is a mistake and I am responsible for the difference, they were sorry. I owe the repair center $900.00. I asked them to put in writing the mistaken conclusion under which I made my repair decision and I will forward this to the insurance commissioner in my state. This is not acceptable.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was canceled by LM for 4 accidents. 2 were minor driveway bumps "my fault". 1 was my daughter that was hit by an illegal from Mexico. That ran a red light totaling her car. They never showed up in court so my uninsured insurance paid it. Then I was pulling my flatbed trailer through Walms lot when a car parked in the fire pulled out and hit my trailer. I called LM and told them not to pay until I emailed them pictures that show not my fault and they agreed. THEN THEY PAID ANYWAY. They said they lost the photos TWICE. Now they use a company that supplies them with drivers' records as reported and they are just as screwed up as LM.

THEY NOW REPORT THAT I HAVE HAD 4 Accidents, 2 collisions "OK", 1 claim for a total loss in my name not my daughter's. 1 PARKING LOT ACCIDENT $1500 I did not make a claim for my trailer. After days of ** around with the low IQ agents at LM and they said since they messed up they would remove the Mexican accident and the parking lot after I sent the photos 3 times. Just like I figured after 6 months still not corrected. Thank god for Geico. They researched and hooked me up cheaper than LM with a better policy. What do CNN & Liberty have in common? (They both suck)...???‍

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am a Geico auto insurance customer and contacted Todd ** at Liberty Mutual's Raleigh, NC and sent him all the information I had on current policies on 3 autos and a motorcycle. I also sent info to get quotes in bundling home insurance with Liberty Mutual's auto insurance. Additionally I sent info on 4 rental properties we own to see about getting them insured as well. Mr. ** acknowledged receiving the information, but I never heard from him nor anyone else at Liberty Mutual ever again. What a total waste of time! I kept my auto policies with Geico, bundled my homeowner's insurance with them, plus an umbrella policy covering home, autos, and rental properties, and then used the same company who wrote the homeowner's policy to ensure the rental properties.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been a 25 yr LM good customer...was hit in the rear while at complete stop almost 3 wks ago. Agent/adjuster gave me inaccurate information. My car is ready after repairs, but I do not have money to get it. Have sent 3 e-mails & at least 5 phone messages...NO HELP... VERY disappointed is an understatement.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When you put in a claim their claim adjustors use unethical tactics on trying to not pay you and undercut you out of money. So I pay a deductible every 6 months for no reason. I have only put 1 claim to an insurance company and I have had my house 17 years. When someone breaks in your garage or house and steals your items make sure you don't pick Liberty Mutual insure because they lie out their teeth and will do anything to make sure you don't get paid.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Stay away from this insurance, far away. I was adjusted by them without even knowing I had their policy. I originally signed up through Safeco, but during my 23 year enrollment with Safeco they were bought by LMI and LMI underwrites their home policies (strange they never told me). I had full coverage, including sewer backup and the sewer backed up during a heavy rainstorm flooding my basement. I claimed less than $3,000 (my backup coverage was $10,000) to replace the washer, dryer, water heater and repair the furnace. During my interview with the adjuster, he admitted they almost never pay on sewer backup. Of course they declined it. My attorney advised suing would be more costly than changing coverage. In the four years since this event I have paid more than four times the claim adjustment to my new carrier, who I am very happy with. LMI constantly advertises on TV which means they are churning through clients very rapidly.

Original review: July 29, 2018

We have been loyal customers for 5 years. We switched to Liberty because they offered excellent rates for our new drivers, having 2 young adults just getting licenses had spiked our rates with Safeco. At 1st Liberty was great. Even handled my daughter's totaled car within 1st year so nicely I thought Liberty was the best insurance company ever (I've tried several). I told friends and family how impressed I was with their prices AND customer service. My local agent was always very responsive and made reasonable suggestions on the best coverage for the price for our situation. Every year prices went up a bit - especially on the 3rd year, but I didn't feel like shopping around and figured a few years after my daughter's accident they would go down again. I did the Right-Track program and we saved 12-13% but nowhere near enough to get back to where we started.

We have had 4-7 cars insured through Liberty at any one time and currently have 6 cars insured. Our last annual bill was $8,570 (avg ~$1,260ea). Following is an example of beginning vs. current rates: 2013, 2017. 2005 Toyota Prius $698, $1,341 (w/ Right-Track). 1995 Toyota Corolla $476, $1,240 (didn't qualify for Right-Track). I understand it is common for insurance companies to offer great rates to get you in the door and then continually raise them hoping you won't bother to shop around - guess I fit that picture...my own fault; but that wasn't what really ruined Liberty Mutual reputation for me.

Recently they gave me notice of non-renewal. The reasons given were: a 2 year old accident and speeding ticket from the 2 kids (yes it's true, young drivers often make poor choices as they learn the ropes), but apparently the last straws were a windshield replacement and towing claim in the last year of all things...and this after my agent had assured me that the glass and roadside assistance were so reasonably priced it was a no-brainer to add them because they were not counted against the policy and did not reflect poorly on the driver in any way. Unfortunately, Liberty Mutual has changed their policy now and DO count any claims of any sort against the policy and after a certain amount of activity (driving record or loss history) they decide they no longer want you for a customer.

OK, it is a free world and business is business - I get that - But... 1) Liberty failed to notify customers about internal change in policy concerning glass & towing coverage - if I had known using this coverage would lead to a cancellation I wouldn't have bothered to add them. 2) Liberty didn't give my wife & I opportunity to find other coverage for the kids, they just cut us all off. The agent told us any new company will call them and Liberty is required to tell the new insurance company about any losses and non-renewals due to account activity so this will force us to shop for a policy under adverse conditions. 3) Yes Liberty lost ~$4,000 on my daughter's accident and maybe another $500 on glass & towing, but we faithfully paid our premiums and paid out over $15,000 over the last 5 years.

I held off having the windshield replaced until the multiple chips & cracks begin interfering with driver visibility - technically I could have claimed 3 windshields. I also handled other break-down situations on my own rather than call a tow truck and have insurance pay for it. We have a hit-and-run damage to the side of our car that I never claimed because the car didn't seem worth the hassle (why have a newly painted door when the rest of the car needs a paint job worth more than the car is worth?). I did my best to be a faithful customer and protect Liberty from frivolous claims...they stabbed me in the back. Even my agent has a hard time understanding this apparently capricious behavior and said after the internal policy change on glass & towing even he is afraid to use them. If you have Liberty don't use their roadside assistance, get AAA.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Two appraiser's report on the damage to my vehicle exceeds my deductible but to date, Liberty has not rectify the situation despite 5 phone calls and three emails. In all this Liberty had the nerve to ask me to renew my policy. Not worth their service when I can get it cheaper from other insurance companies.

Original review: July 23, 2018

After steadily increasing my auto insurance premiums for over 10 years with no claims I switched to State Farm for lower rates. Liberty Mutual stated that I had an outstanding balance of $56. I do not owe them anything as I pay my annual premiums with a check that I hand deliver to their local Liberty Mutual office. I always hand deliver premium payments because I do not trust insurance companies (any of them!). Liberty Mutual claims that I didn't inform them that I was switching to State Farm which is bogus. I am saving over $300 per year for the same coverage with State Farm. If you're currently with Liberty Mutual shop around when your policy is due for renewal as you will probably save money for the same coverage by switching to another carrier.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Highly recommend, excellent customer service and wonderful full service. Easy transition. Great at discounts and adding, removing, switching cars, drivers, and properties.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Liberty Mutual is the Wrong Insurance Company!!! I've was with Liberty Mutual Insurance for over 9 years. I've never file any claims the whole time I was insured by Liberty Mutual Insurance. My wife and I have a perfect driving record, no tickets, no criminal record and always paid our bill on or before it was due. A month ago this is what they did to me!

I was at a car dealership and purchased a 2018 Honda HR-V. During the transaction I called Liberty Mutual and the Liberty Mutual Insurance Rep informed me that my policy would increase by over $540.00 per month, further follow-up I was informed that I should contact a Liberty Mutual rep: his name is Tony ** (**), I called and left 9 messages over 2 weeks and never was given the courtesy of a return call, however someone from Liberty Mutual did call me back, and I was informed that a year ago in a private parking lot at a Dairy Queen, a car backed into me, I was in my parking spot, not moving when a car with 6 people and at least 1 dog hit me. No damage to my car because they hit my hitch, but instead of stopping she continued backing up which caused considerable damage to her car. Called the police, called Liberty Mutual to informed them as required. Gave my statement, then never heard back from Liberty Mutual.

To fast forward a year later to what's important. Liberty Mutual for whatever reason paid for her damages (Yes you read that correctly). They paid for the driver at fault, damages to her car, and they never contacted me, informed me, nor clarified any information of the incident with myself or my wife that was with me in the car when this happened. Finally after writing a complaint on the customer service site of Liberty Mutual's web-site, I received an email that I should call them back, which the representative was at a loss as to why this was even paid. But again stated that there was nothing they could do to correct the situation and Liberty Mutual would not tell me why they would pay this claim. They admitted that they never call me to follow up or tell me what was happening, and my policy could not be corrected.

To summarize: The TV commercials are just an advertising stunt. No Grudges: Because they will just profit from you. Accident Forgiveness: How self centered to even have the misconception that as a customer we would ask for forgiveness, we pay for a service and I'm not that forgiving when getting screwed. Car replacement, that must be for the other guy that was at fault. Liberty Mutual; looks like I'm not alone. I hope people will read this post then maybe you will realize your paying customer deserve better. Was a 9 year customer, but no longer!!!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Our insurance rate went up 30% this last year, even though there weren’t any accidents or tickets. When we called Liberty Mutual about it, they recommended we enroll in the RightTrack program, it would drop our rates based on our driving. We read the reviews, which weren’t great but decided it wouldn’t hurt. Well the reviews were correct: hard to set up, they dock you for merging on a freeway, or stopping at a red light. For the record, my driving record is completely clean, I drove 700 miles in two months, mostly in my neighborhood. My expected savings went from $163 to $90 in two days. Beware of this scam, they tell you that you can reduce your rate back to where it was by enrolling in this program, don’t do it. If you plan on leaving Liberty Mutual because of a rate increase just do it, don’t waste your time with RightTrack.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Refused to honor discount for driver tracking (due to vehicle purchase). Months later they didn't add vehicle when asked. (Daughter went uninsured for weeks before their mistake was discovered.) VERY difficult company to work with. Decided not to renew policy.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I applied for Auto Insurance and because a semi-truck crossed the center line, 3 years earlier, and hit me they refused coverage. When I bought a new home I applied for a homeowner’s policy and their price was three times State Farm’s price. They said since I had had a windstorm claim with State Farm the premium would naturally be higher. When I asked why, as Liberty was not even involved, I was told that is the way insurance works. The good part is I never have to do business with them but I can tell everyone what an unbelievably horrible company I think they are.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I've been using Liberty Mutual for auto for many years. They seem a little higher than average (cost); but customer experience has been good.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was just happy that I was able to bundle apt insurance and car insurance moving from one state to another. Bundling saves money.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky