Liberty Mutual - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was hit in October 2016 by an irresponsible driver. His car was immediately totaled. He was in a company car and his commercial insurance is Liberty Mutual. After the accident was filed the driver and Liberty Mutual accepted full fault. My son and I received chiropractic treatment. Liberty Mutual called and was very nice offering immediately to pay all medical. As soon as medical was settled they no longer took interest in trying to settle my auto claim in a timely manner. I sent my car to a body shop who deemed it a total loss and refused to repair the extensive damages. They assigned me an adjuster, Kwame, who immediately sent me a small amount check and attempted to close the case.

After several weeks I could no longer reach Kwame and finally got Liberty Mutual to assign me another adjuster. They assigned me Jasmine. She was never available or at work. Eventually I could no longer reach her as well. The list continued with Brian, Gregory, Nicole... all of which would not settle my claim in a timely fashion.

Today is January 6, 2017 and I still have not received the promised check from Liberty Mutual for the total loss of my vehicle. They refused to continue paying my rental car after January 3, but have not issued a check to me for the loss. I would be hesitant to ever purchase Liberty Commercial Insurance as their customer service is terrible. Phone calls and emails are not returned in a timely manner from the commercial total loss Allen ** team and Timothy ** team. I have been sent in a circle for months thru more than 10 people and my claim still isn't resolved.

One telephone call took care of everything. Whether I needed to report an accident or needed a jump or tow, they were right there with the solution. And, my rates have declined. Liberty Mutual has been the best insurance company with which I have been. My agent has been responsive and dealing with the company has not only been painless, it has been simple, quick, and efficient.

Liberty Mutual won't give us an adjuster's name and date to assess our totaled damaged car despite numerous phone calls and admittance of full responsibility. They only responded to the PIP claim as required under FL Law. Accident date 12/31/2016, report case Saint Lucie Co. Sheriffs #**. Today is 1/6/2017 and we have a junked car, unusable sitting in our driveway with no means of transportation and they are required to provide us with one by law. Two old seniors being shown no compassion or respect by Liberty Mutual, know as LM General Ins Co.

I was in a car accident back in April and was in a tremendous amount of pains for several months. Lucky for me I was covered under workman comp and got most of my therapy through work. Once I was released I was still in quite a bit of pain so I had to go to my family doctor. Once the pain was gone I reached out to my representative Chris and gave him all the information he asked for. He told me he would have this all wrapped up in about 2 weeks. A little over a month later I gave him a call since I hadn't heard anything. Only then did he tell me that he had sent off for the information from the doctors I had seen but hadn't heard back. I contacted Concentra and they said they had not received any communication from Chris in any form even though I was told he emailed, faxed and mailed requests off.

I got the information myself and he told me that he had the information from my other doctor's office and it would all be wrapped up in about a week or two. Two weeks go by so I call again and he said he still hadn't received the info from the family doctor... At this point I was getting frustrated because I don't feel like he even tried to contact the doctor's office. I called myself and they gave me the number for the data file agency right then and there. These simple phone calls were all it took but Chris at Liberty couldn't even be bothered enough to call me and ask me to do his job and make the phone calls myself. I don't know if this is Liberty Mutual's SOP or if the agent assigned to me is just lazy and/or incompetent. I do know however I would never get insurance from them if this is how they treat people.

Signed on to Liberty Mutual, attached the Right Track and received a 17% discount. Had $75/month auto deduction for 1 year. Had no claims and no tickets, at 1 year anniversary deduction went to $94/month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

They insured Gardner Environmental Services and their driver got distracted by a girl with big boobs and rammed right into me... During a month investigation they still have not cover my rental car. Always call the cops to have a witness, take photos, and stay far away from them worthless drivers of that organization.

I switched to Liberty Mutual 2 years ago. Last year they raised all my rates about 20%. This year they were ready to go up another 20%. So I contacted my agent and canceled the policies in November. December rolls around and they withdrew another month of fees. I would highly advise anyone switching to Liberty Mutual not to do it. You will pay more in the end.

Over the 10 years my husband had Liberty Mutual, every payment made on time. He had 3 separate accidents. 1 his fault by thinking a yielded car in front of him had already gone and even then the rear damage was very minimal. They kindly sent a letter releasing him as their client. I thought this was very wrong after 10 years of loyal on time payments. Their customer service was difficult as well. THANK YOU GOD FOR USAA and being able to put him on my insurance, which is less than HALF what this rip-off drop you like a bad egg agency does. Buyer beware.

I'd be interested in the results of your research. If you post again, perhaps you can enlighten us all. In the interest of safety, the public's and mine, I removed the device and returned it to Liberty Mutual. The first day I installed it, I drove like I normally would with situational awareness, etc. At the end of my day, I reviewed my activity and was surprised at my 5 "events" of hard acceleration (such as 7.5mph to 14.9mph, 1.2mph to 8.7mph, etc) and 20 of hard braking (19.9mph to 12.4mph, 14.9mph to 7.5mph, 46.0mph to 38.5mph, etc). At the end of my second day, I had ZERO events of hard acceleration and THREE events on hard braking. Again, similar stats as per above. HOWEVER, I had numerous road rage aggressive driving in response to my passive driving as is required by the device to avoid "events" as per above.

I was merging onto a highway and was passed on the ramp by several cars, two who topped their actions off with a three finger salute. I had another driver honk his horn for an extended 100+ feet and jerked his car in front of me to express his frustration. After doing some research and reading quite a few of the reviews regarding these devices, I came to the conclusion that removing the device was absolutely in the best interest of safety and common sense. I cannot take another day, much less an hour or another minute, experiencing the type of road rage directed at me (with my daughter as passenger) as I drove with the Right Track device.

It drove me nuts and it surely drove those who had to deal with my very dangerous passive driving methods as is required by the device. It's dangerous and I fear, will costs some lives out on the roads. It also could very well be used against you in a court of law should the worst happen. Surely, Liberty Mutual and other insurance companies can figure out a better way to award discounts to their customers than this half-thought contrived idea.

They paid the repair facility promptly after sending out the estimator promptly. I never had a problem with them, when my mileage usage on my car dropped they adjusted the price of the insurance accordingly. I have my home, auto and comprehensive insurance with this company for many years. They are always the least expensive and although I would prefer to have an agent, the online service has never given me any problems. When I got sideswiped they sent me the form that I needed to fill out for the state since my dollar amount was over what you needed to supply to the state. I didn't know about that.

Customer service was good, price was good, good for a year, then at the end of the year I was dropped for I had 3 glass cracks in windshield, $40 each and 2 towing, no tickets or accidents in 40 years of driving for either my husband or myself. Reason, they said because I had this many incidents, I told them I was sorry I live in TX. Everyone gets cracks in their windshields, and I paid extra for towing. I went back to AAA, was with them for 40 years, just moved to TX and tried Liberty Mutual. Well I laugh every time I see their commercial, it's a joke. Then I read over their reviews, they only take the best. I was the best until I got a crack, that's the difference. They drop you when you use them, so if you're perfect, use them. I was sorry I changed from AAA. They might be a little more but they have your back.

I was sideswiped by a big rig insured by Liberty Mutual. After 6 months of calling, emails, voicemail, etc Austin ** finally tried to get me to settle. He was very adamant about the amount of money he wanted to offer me. Granted the not informed employee he did not even have all of my medical records. He tried to get me to settle without having all of the paperwork. This company is a joke. It is the worst Insurance Company I have ever had to deal with. I had to do all of the paperwork sending fax to them. I don't see how this company can even be run today. It shouldn't even be able to have a license to call themselves a company or an entity. These are the worst people I have ever encountered. If you want a runaround, people not returning your calls, not responding to any emails, ignoring you, being rude to you and simply not giving a damn then this is the company for you.

First, this was not our insurance as it belonged to the person who ran a red light and hit us. Tamika with Liberty Mutual ended up being the rudest, most disrespectful person I have dealt with in insurance. The woman, I believe made up her mind about our claim prior to even talking with us. Of course that took a couple weeks to even get her or anyone with Liberty Mutual to call back. She would attempt to call us at 5:30 am. Why? Padding her call stats maybe? Could it be the same reason she'd also leave the line open after we finished talking? Everything was our fault and her continual response was "claim it on your insurance, your car isn't worth that and the dealerships must make money too." (Yes, but not twice what you offered us.)

They offered us of course the bottom line dollar, tried to blame damage to the vehicle on us and not because of the wreck. She promised email paperwork after being prompted to do so. That never arrived after multiple times giving our email address, said she mailed paperwork that never arrived. I thought I'd never come to this conclusion, but with the way things have worked lately in this messed up world, is all this rudeness and lack of service because my son, who drove the car... is a police officer?

Went to Hartford. They was $100.00 cheaper per month and more coverage. Today I received a call from their collection department of Liberty Mutual and they had always took it out our checking account of $187.95 every month. On the month I called them to cancel they decided to take out $225.92... then they call and want me to pay them for another month. Now they say "you was always behind one month because you have auto pay..." Funny thing is they got the money every month even when I first started... Guess I picked the wrong insurance company like their commercial say.

Fortunately I have not have to use it. But I did call and speak to them about a odd note left on my windshield claiming that I broke someone's mirror. They assured me that they will investigate and to hold onto the note. They have a lot of different options for you to choose from with deductibles that range from low to high. You can also bundle it with your home owners to get a discount. I chose Liberty Mutual mainly for the reason that the total cost with discounts and with the bundle with my homeowner's insurance. The price was very reasonable and good coverage options. You will be happy. Back to the odd note left on my windshield that blamed me for damages. I called late at night because I was very upset about the note. And I had spent the whole day at my child's birthday party and had to come back to this accusation. The agent I spoke with was very helpful.

Been with Liberty Mutual for auto coverage for years. All good until you make a claim. After someone hit me in the rear and took off the company increase my insurance. When I called and inquired about their "Accident Forgiveness" they informed me that the TWENTY-FIVE DOLLAR increase a month was not due to my accident but due to a increase for ALL insurance carriers. Called AAA and asked if this statement was true to fact. NOT!!! The representative lied to me! Before you sign with Liberty decide if you want a insurance company that false advertises "Accident Forgiveness" and lies to clients as well. Also, before this accident my driving record was impeccable. No tickets, no accidents!

I have not had to file a claim again then, but they have help me to file again someone else that was in the wrong. They gave the information that I needed and it was very helpful. They have unique and certified coverage that I am very happy with and the customer service is the best, they take the time to handle your application with confident. They believe in what their product stand for, and they make you feel like you are always their number one customer, they make you feel like they are interesting in making you satisfaction. I have had a great experience with customer service, they are very intelligence and certified. They are very knowledge about their product and they make you feel special.

Always timely with some guidelines and recommendations for the case to be submitted, either by accident or minor repairs truck insurance covering. By joining a good insurance package, will have the opportunity to cover expenses of any eventuality that presents itself. It is a way to be certain in life. Having a safe and continuous security gives me peace of mind, is a way to feel good and continuous backup, having a secure safety guarantees for all yours. I had a mishap with the car, not serious, but thank God my affiliation with good insurance cover the cost of repairs and towing service timely.

Liberty worked with me on a claim for my work van very quickly and efficiently. The adjuster was fair and they even let me pick the shop that I wanted my work done at. I use Liberty for my personal vehicles AND my work vans. The work vans require a very large policy and I'm happy with the cost. Everything is covered even beyond my factory warranty. Even though I have to have a large policy for my work vehicles, the cost is still reasonable. I even get a discount for having a good driving record. After I had to file a claim once, the agent worked with me immediately and my vehicle was back on the road in just a few days.There were no issues and everyone was very pleasant.

If I have a claim they will respond fast and help you get back on the road again. They send someone to review the damage and in no time your check is at your door. Available coverage to what you need and the price is right. Very happy with my coverage. I've been with them for 10 years. I recommend family and friends. It feel safe and better knowing I got this coverage when I am driving and the so satisfy with the response from this company. They even know you by your name. My agent is always answer my call if he is there. If not no more than 15 minute and he call back... happy to hear from and discuss any concern.

It is easy to join. And I am happy I join, it is the cheapest car insurance you can buy. I am very happy that I bought it. I am still pinching myself. I could not ask for a cheaper insurance. It has added a lot of value to my life. By cutting down on my household bills. Instead of paying an Awful lot on car insurance; I can spent on groceries or on my medications as I am a diabetic. I can buy my meds and supplies with the extra money.

I had an appt. with the claims adjuster within 24 hrs. of my initial call. They issued the check to the repair shop in a timely fashion. And, because it was my 1st claim, hopefully, my rates will not go up. It covered everything that was damaged in the car. There was no problem with the claim or the repairs. They did not question any of the damage. I feel I am being charged too much for the coverage. I have been with them for 4 years, and even before I put the claim in, my rates increased. I think I should have gotten a break for not filing a claim in four years. They could not be nicer. They even tried to save me money by installing a driving tracking device. Of course, they say I am only eligible for the minimum discount, but something is better than nothing.

They paid the claims but they always raising the rates. I got hit in a different town in a parking lot. They didn't want me to claim it as comprehensive where the deductible is 250.00 instead of 500. They start you out at a low rate then jack up the rates. That was even before the claim. It got so high I have to look somewhere else for coverage. I'm dissatisfied with the whole plan. The price was only good for the first six months and by the end of the first year I was already paying more than I was at my old company's plan. I can't say its added any value to my life, other than having insurance versus not having insurance. I don't know that that is a true value. A bad gain is also a loss. The customer service was ok, but it took time to get the whole thing completed. Maybe I had a bad referral to this company. I don't think I would recommend this company. Maybe it will get better in time but I'm not waiting.

I have never actually filed a claim with Liberty Mutual but based on my research, the claims process is very straightforward and timely. I needed auto, home, rental property and umbrella policies and Liberty Mutual was able to provide me the best coverage options for my situation. Liberty Mutual had the most competitive rates for the coverage provided that fit my circumstances. It's reassuring to know that I am covered for most situations. I had to purchase policies for coverage in different states and Liberty Mutual had licensed agents from all states available so I didn't have to make multiple calls.

Very fast and efficient. Never pushy or forceful. Very considerate and helpful. Easy to file and complete a claim. Can all be done online without ever really having to talk to anyone which was nice considering my schedule. Has an extremely wide range of coverage for any type needed. I have a huge coverage for my newer vehicle for a really great reasonable price that I can afford. It will take care of me regardless of what may happen. They have always been the nicest people and worked with me any way they could when I have needed assistance in a tough situation. Always been courteous and had the utmost respect.

The claims are very easy. When I had an accident I just called up my agent and explained everything to them that had happened. They handled everything for me and it was hassle free. I would recommend them to anyone. There are a lot of different coverage options that Liberty Mutual has. They have something for everyone. If you want a little coverage, you can get it. If you want a lot, you can get that as well. It is a good value to have them, they are well worth my premiums that I pay. Liberty Mutual has saved me a lot of money and time. I will never switch from them ever. They are always there to help me. They have excellent customer service and their agents are very understanding.

They make it easy to process your claim. Everything goes through very quickly without any trouble. The people are always nice and easy to work with. They have so many options. We were able to customize our multi car package to suit the needs of both a brand new car and a much older one. The coverage we get is a great value for the money! We have so much peace of mind knowing we are protected no matter what life might throw at us. The people are always kind and courteous. I've never had a bad experience talking with customer service! They seem to genuinely care and always want to make sure we are satisfied.

I do have insurance that only covers the other driver, and not my own vehicle. Florida is an expensive insurance state, and after shopping around, came to the conclusion that Liberty Mutual had the most affordable rates. It has added the feeling of safety and coverage. I feel confident that if I get in an accident, the other driver/vehicle will be covered. I have heard nothing but good things about Liberty.

The only claim I've had is for a windshield and it was effortless to have replaced, Liberty was easy to work with and the replacement was taken care of in a short amount of time. The coverage was personalized to my needs and they offer more discounts to me than even I knew was available for my situation. Also it was easy to bundle my insurance with my home owners insurance which also gave me another discount for doing so. After checking out many different insurance companies and different offerings it was apparent that not only was their coverage as good as anyone else it was in the middle as far as price. Liberty Mutual customer service has done a very good job. Their employees are very knowledgeable and kind and truly want to help you in anyway they can.

They do claims fast and work with you to make sure you are happy and help to make sure everything is taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. They have a lot of different coverage policies so you can pick the one that's best for your needs and most affordable for you and convenient and fast to get started. They make having car insurance easy and have everything you need to make sure you and your family is covered and also have convenient payment options and give you a choice on what day payment is due. They have a very friendly staff and are always happy to help with whatever needs you have and always willing to answer questions and give you the best coverage possible.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.
  • Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.
  • Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.
  • Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.
  • Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.
  • Best for New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Compare Auto Insurance