Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Liberty Mutual - Auto
1.39/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers competitively priced car insurance products along with special coverage options and discounts. Happy customers appreciate how easy it is to switch to Liberty Mutual from another provider. The company has an easy online platform to get a quote and sign up for a new policy.

PROS

• Offers accident forgiveness and new car replacement
  • RightTrack encourages good driving behavior
  • Well-established company with 100+ years of insurance experience
  • User-friendly website
  • Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund helps you save up for your deductible

CONS

• Some customers experienced an increase in rates
  • Discounts not available in all states

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1305 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have had the RightTrack (ODBC II) port for about 3 weeks. I also have a wide-angle front and rear dashcam that keeps time-stamped video and audio. After seeing about 6 acceleration events (at that time no braking events), I decided to pull the video and watch it from 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the stated time. I managed to see (guess) what caused the acceleration event. It was this: I was travelling on a limited access roadway just after 5 am, and on cruise control set right around 52 mph.

As the grade of the road changed to a slight uphill, the transmission shifted into a lower gear to maintain speed. (There was no acceleration. The cruise control merely properly maintained speed.) This caused 3 acceleration events (somehow) to be recorded in one minute intervals. I have since stopped using cruise control, and allow the vehicle to slow down on (even gentle) uphill slopes. Since that time, 2 braking events were recorded that never really happened. I will be pulling the video on those later. I have to agree with the posters that said there is a problem in the Right Track technology. Most of the events it records will be spurious.

I also did a little more experimentation. It appears to measure acceleration and braking along two completely separate vectors. The data I have collected suggest that an event is registered if either vector boundary is crossed. One vector is the rate of change of the speedometer needle (this also should be the same as the rate of speed change on the drive wheels). In order to test this, you would need access to a dynamometer. (Device used to test emissions with older vehicles.) The mileage increase with the vehicle on a dynamometer is registered by the RightTrack device, and therefore actual vehicle movement is not required. Use of a dynamometer isn't advised, however, because unlike in an actual road situation, the wheel speed can alter dramatically quickly in this situation, and result in both braking and acceleration events due to its measurement of the "wheel speed" vector.

The other vector appears to be engine speed, or i.e. rapid RPM changes. This can also trigger as acceleration or braking events independently of changes in the drive wheel's rotational speed. Other than simply starting the program, and then not driving the car for 3 months, (which is usually not an option), the best bet is to plan your routes so that you drive fairly long distances on limited access roads. Avoid local routes where the density of start/stop per unit mile is high. Try to reduce the event per mile density. All that said, I can’t complain about the way the program is set up. Even if I only get the 5% minimum, it will carry forward for the life of the vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I came to Liberty Mutual after being a lifelong Nationwide customer. Nationwide tried to fob me off on another insurance company because they could not provide me with comprehensive insurance. Not only was Liberty able to get me what I needed, but they were also cheaper and had better coverage. I also like that their policies are for 12 months instead of 6, this allows me to lock in the price for the year rather than taking a chance that it increases. So far I am glad that I switched and I wish I had done it sooner, they have been great and it was so easy to sign up and review their policies.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Recently bought a new car and auto insurance. I was lucky enough to have Adam ** as my agent. When Progressive couldn’t help me at all, I called Liberty Mutual and Adam **, of Colorado Springs, saved the day. Without his help we would have ended up not purchasing the vehicle. He was incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and took care of business in a very expedited and professional way. Since I’ve purchased auto insurance, he has always been available to answer any and all questions I’ve had, always responding in a timely manner giving me clarity and peace of mind about all aspects of my policy. I’m very pleased with everything Adam has done and can only wish that there were more top notch agents like him around.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have seen their commercials on tv on numerous occasions, and when my husband and I decided to switch insurance so we could save some money, they were the first ones we looked into. They responded so quickly to my inquiry, that I didn't even get to let my husband know that I had requested a quote from them. They even double checked with us to make sure that they had all of our information correct. It was a really easy switch. They did ask for proof that we were insured prior to switching to them, but that was simple, too. Our previous insurance sent us an email that we sent to Liberty Mutual. They are a bit different than your average auto insurance company. They have wonderful customer service and the prices are cheap. Overall, they make more sense than most other auto insurance companies. I am 100% satisfied!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've only been with Liberty Mutual for a month and so far I have no issues with them. I've also heard good things from other people who use them.It was the cheapest, but also reputable. They were super easy to purchase my policy from and had many discounts. I applied for a quote online. Received a phone call from a representative who went over their entire policy with me and then he walked me through my entire purchase. I'm very pleased to deal with them. I also seen they have full car replacement even for new vehicles if I am able to eventually purchase one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: May 22, 2019

Hi, STAY AWAY From LIBERTY MUTUAL.... LIARs and Thiefs, I been with them for so many years, recently I had water damage. Try to file claim, my deductible is $1000. Estimate was $1300 and they refuse to pay $300. Customer service is horrible and rude. I left so many voicemails and e-mails, They do not respond when they need to pay, only fast to collect payments. Hopefully my nightmare experience with This horrible company, save some time, money and stress.

Original review: May 21, 2019

A Liberty Mutual customer crashed into me. The customer was entirely at fault as evidenced by both by Cal law, front and rear cameras and Sheriff's Dept deputy witnesses. Liberty Mutual's customer was a 94-year old driver who uses oxygen while driving and had run out. After the accident I hooked him up to a new canister.

I tried to go through Liberty Mutual to get my vehicle repaired. They appeared to be super friendly and asked for all the details, and asked for the videos, which I sent...until they saw that they were 100% at fault... then complete silence for months - nothing. No return of emails, phone calls, nothing. I was entirely ghosted. Talking with people in the industry I found that this is a thing they do all the time, and get away with due to a loophole in the timeline required by law. This is despicable and completely unethical behavior.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I canceled my policy with Liberty over 2 months ago and still have not received my check. They have sent it to the wrong address on 3 occasions, and every time I call the reps blame the previous person but then do not do the correct thing (which is really not hard at all). I have called on about 10 occasions, totaling 3 hours for something that should've been a 5 minute phone call.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I recommend not using this company. They treat you like bull crap if you are not with them and they make your life hard to get anything done through claims. I have to wait almost 2 months to get my car fixed. I’m not supposed to be driving it but guess what - Liberty won’t give me a rental car because since it turns on it's “drivable”. They are a worthless company that overcharges and sucks.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been a loyal customer of Liberty Auto Insurance since 2010. Never had a major problem with them, until now. I renewed my policy, no problem with the rates. My first statement I got an increase of $340. I called and they couldn't tell me why. I paid the amount owed. The next month an increase of $480. Again they couldn't tell me why, I paid the amount due. The third statement I got they increased my insurance $840. They had increased my insurance over $1400. To this day still no reason why.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Husband was rear ended while stopped at a red light by a man insured by Liberty Mutual, open and shut case by most companies, not Liberty, they did not pay, now have to retain an Attorney and get it done correctly by the law in court. Maybe Liberty doesn't know that when a customer causes the accident by rear ending someone else, they are at fault. The person causing the accident pleaded with husband not to report accident to insurance, which seems to me, there is some issue with his driving or insurance. The man also lied and said someone hit him, another problem.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Extremely rude agents. Raised rates with no notice. When I called their rude "customer service" they said they emailed me about it. I told them I did not receive an email. They said they must have called then. Lies. Also, their rates went up over 20%! Absolute joke of a company.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was a Liberty Mutual customer for 30 years. Anytime I had an insurance issue, I had a local, knowledgeable person that could answer my questions. That all changed over the past couple of years. I moved to a new state in 2017 - and I informed Liberty Mutual of the move. They never re-wrote my liability policy to cover the new state. I was overcharged for 2 years! When I discovered the error, it took them 4 months to return my money. It required phone calls every 2 weeks for 4 months to get my refund. At every step, they would not provide a name so I could re-connect with the same person - they were all anonymous know-nothings. I even complained to the "President's Advisory Team" - what a joke that was. They have lost a 30 year loyal customer - because they forgot what customer service was.

Original review: May 8, 2019

A person insured by Liberty Mutual caused an accident and damaged my antique Honda. The accident was clearly their fault due to photo evidence. As soon as I retained a lawyer Liberty Mutual denied my claim. This is causing me a great hardship but the hell if they care!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Liberty Mutual rates are very low. That is because they don't pay their claims. We had our RV damaged while camping. I filed a claim and waited. I sent pictures and waited. They sent out an appraiser and waited. They sent the SAME appraiser out again... And waited. I could never get anyone to return my calls. After 4 months they DENIED my claim. I finally had to consult an attorney. After following his advice, they agreed that it was storm related. I switched just as soon as my policy came up for renewal. Living in Texas, I couldn't imagine them refusing to pay for a house that was damaged by hail or something worse, but I'm sure they will try.

Original review: May 2, 2019

We had been with Liberty Mutual auto insurance since 1999. Overall, their service was prompt when we had to make a claim (ONCE in 19 years), but when we recently got a quote to add another (used) vehicle and a teenage driver, we were SHOCKED at how much the premium would go up - and we were even living in a cheaper state (i.e. NOT California). We immediately called a few others and found a quote for the SAME COVERAGE for LESS THAN HALF of what Liberty wanted to charge - and not from a cut-rate insurance company, either. We called and canceled Liberty coverage IMMEDIATELY. After 19 years of loyalty, you'd think Liberty would work a little harder to keep us. But no. Nothing. I will never recommend Liberty Mutual auto insurance to anyone because it's clear they believe in ripping off customers, even the loyal ones. Better rates are out there.

Original review: April 29, 2019

You never know how good or bad an insurance company is, until you have a claim. I am still dealing with Liberal Mutual, for a very simple claim, that should have been wrapped up in a week or two. (It was a simple accident. The other driver hit my car while I was stopped at a light. My car was totaled, and carried away. There is no disagreement on what happened.)

After two months, they finally have read the official accident report, and they are really to look at the damage to the car. The last communication was, that they can't find the car, and so they assume that they don't need to cover the claim. I have found that simple communication with LM is impossible. They do not answer the phone, and do not return messages, or respond to texts. They put up a wall, so that they don’t have to respond or take action. At this rate, it will be several more months before this is finally settled. It’s no wonder that people get lawyers for dealing with insurance companies. Library Mutual is great at taking your money, and terrible at settling claims.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Liberty Mutual is has done a fantastic job of hiding the truth, backing a dishonest client, failing to communicate, and honor any ability to do the right thing. I was struck by one of their insured, who was clearly at fault (ran a stop sign), forced to go through the mediation process to have them cited for fault and now manage the long battle for the diminished value of my vehicle. This company will pull out all the stops, use all the right words, and take any action necessary to protect their funds. Beware, they do not have the best interest at heart when it comes to performing their main focus.. being an insurance company. I have all documentation needed and they will create a situation through time & money to force you to bend to what they believe is fair. This company is not reputable and is very good at talking in circles and avoiding their obligations.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have been a customer with Liberty Mutual for over 20 years. There were circumstances that led to the cancellation of my insurance policy (death in my family, husband added a car, miscommunications). Upon receiving a notice of cancellation I spoke with a service rep. and upon review and a check that I had made payments the service tech stated: "it must have been a mistake". A couple of weeks later I called to report a windshield claim, service tech could not identify my policy but didn't say anything else. When the glass company arrived they said that the claim was denied.

I called to check and was told that my policy was canceled. I was offered a reinstatement, HOWEVER, because I had called with the windshield claim two days prior, I was DENIED reinstatement. I was told that it would be sent to the help desk but could take 5-7 days and told I should find other insurance. After years of service and an impeccable driving record, this was how I was treated. The first person that helped me offered me new insurance at 12,500 per year. The second person that helped me was cordial and tried, but Liberty loopholes were too many. Liberty Mutual is not your friend.

Original review: April 25, 2019

They cheated me on my car's value. I was told that my Pristine 2001 BMW 740i Sport was a total loss. A pallet fell off a truck in front of me on the highway and I could not avoid going over it. The valance below the front bumper was damaged and holes to the cooler and radiator ripped out with coolant leaking. It did not look at all that bad and was drivable except for fluid leaking and I worked on cars when I was younger. They gave me an offer based on what they claimed similar vehicles but did not follow their own guidelines as to distance.

I called every dealer on the list and either the car did not exist or it was being sold at 2-3 times what the report claimed it was being offered at. They told me that their program determined what the dealer would accept. I was basically told, "Take our offer or hire an attorney and an appraiser." I needed to get this resolved and backed down. Today I went to COSTCO and my car was sitting in the lot. I waited and spoke to the new owner. He bought it from the BMW dealer whose body shop I took the car to after the accident. Evidently they bought it from Liberty Mutual, put very little into repairs and made a killing re-selling it.

Original review: April 24, 2019

When one of their customers causes injury to another person, in a car accident, they drag their feet in hopes you will become frustrated and just settle for the insulting rate they offer. They can rest assured, I will gather as much info/reviews related to their business practices, and sit with my state reps and news agencies to start laying some very heavy focus upon them. Perhaps I can manage to get a class action suit against them, and/or start the ball rolling toward ending their ability to conduct business in my state.

Maybe it is time for their business practices to come around to bite them in the pocket. And bite deep. Either way, it will all end up costing them far more than it would have for them to simply pay out a reasonable settlement for their customer's fault, which was fully admitted in the accident report, and to the on scene officer. There is no threat here, but a solid promise, as I will begin tomorrow. I am sure my reps will view this as a very good subject to get behind if enough people have had such problems with this company.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Monitor Driving For Discount Is A Hype. I am kicking myself for not following my rule to check out a company rating with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. The CONS outweigh the PROS with this company. There are more CONS with their Right Track marketing than stated. Look at their file with the BBB. The management at Liberty Mutual has their good rating protected because they "respond" to customer complaints. But look at their responses: all same cut-and-paste telling the complainer the information is private and for the complainer to call customer service. Ridiculous!! This is not very professional. When you call or email them, they are vague with their responses which have no rhyme or reason. Stay away from them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I would give Liberty Mutual zero stars if it were possible. I have been a loyal customer of Liberty Mutual for many years with policies for multiple vehicles, multiple homes, and a liability umbrella. I had a car accident in 2015 with my brand new Audi A3 that had less than 4000 miles on it and filed a claim. The car was fixed. Now in 2019 I'm told that by law, I should have been paid diminished value on that vehicle. After contacting the company, they turned this over to an adjuster that says my diminished value claim is less than $500!!! Really? So they never offered me the diminished value that I paid for and should have been given by law in the first place and now they come up with some totally ridiculous and offensive amount that it is supposedly worth. Liberty Mutual has just lost a good customer and I will be sure to give bad reviews anywhere I can on social media from now on.

Original review: April 11, 2019

They didn’t do their job...cost me a fortune. I signed on and the very kind eager sales rep never canceled my old policies. What a mess. Then, he quit! Took me months to get this resolved. Wish I never left my last agent. Only did because my house burnt down and my agent of 20 years only offers Commerce...which I did not want.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Other place quoted me 150. Called Liberty Mutual for a quote. Fool on other side of the phone told me 600 a month. When I explained that was 4x my last quote he hung up immediately. I would beware. They are scammers.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I started a policy with Liberty Mutual in August of 2018. At first I thought they were a good insurance company. My rates were good and no problems with them and then I remember I got the right track to plug in the car and then I sent it back and I noticed one month that my insurance went up a little bit and then I noticed the next month my insurance doubled. At first I thought they were making me pay for the right track but then when I called they told me that it was because I was on autopay which they were going on my credit card every month and taking money out but I never signed up for it and I think that's a little weird because every month I went on their website and paid my policy with a prepaid card but they kept telling me because of the auto-pay and they tried to get money out one-time which they tried early so they said that they had to put me on a different payment plan and that was in February so which was my 6 month on their insurance.

They said they had to up my monthly payment so which made me pay one month or less but I don't understand how it doubled and then I remember paying it and then I didn't pay the late fees so they canceled me for $28. Then I was trying to get another insurance and I found out that I was not on auto pay from the beginning and when I called three different people from customer service gave me three different reasons why my policy went up and I went through all the paperwork and everything that I've signed with them nowhere on there does it say they could go and we charge my credit card every month.

Then when I had asked him today for a copy of it they forged it and emailed me but it had no signature on it, no initials on it and even had the wrong credit card number from the one that I paid with on August 2019 to start the policy and then the more and more I think about it I'm wondering if they didn't up my insurance because of the fact of the plug-in of right track. I didn't get no discount but it seems like when they got that thing back that's when my insurance doubled. They never sent me any paperwork on anything about changing my policy plans or my payment plans or anything. I only found out when I went on the website to make monthly payment. I'm curious if anyone else has ever had this problem with them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had LM policyholder pull out in front of me and I hit him. They were absolutely great to me man. I was super nervous that they were going to somehow blame me for it. Not at all. They super nice from the first phone call. I believe Nicole was her name. Super caring and helpful. The claim adjuster Roger was freaking awesome too. Much love to Liberty Mutual for doing the right thing!! Much appreciated.

Original review: April 1, 2019

On Jan 16th, Liberty Mutual canceled my car insurance instead of my renter's insurance. I called the same day to get them to fix it. The lady apologized and said there wouldn't be an issue. I called on the 29th of Jan to cancel my car insurance (I went with Progressive) and the guy said that I owed $50 and for canceling. I disagreed that I owed that (I made all of my payments on time) but I paid it anyway. March 14th I received a letter in the mail from the DMV stating my insurance lapsed from Jan 16-31st. It had not.

I called Liberty Mutual and they sent a letter stating we did have insurance the 16th-31st. A few days later I get a bill for $120 from Liberty Mutual saying I owed them from the 16th-31st. I asked why I didn't get that bill when I canceled on the 29th? They made up some BS and basically said I had to pay it. I'm being punished for a mistake THEY made. I told my friend this story and the same exact thing happened to her. What they are doing should be illegal.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I've been hit twice by Liberty Mutual insured drivers. One turned right from a left lane into me, the other backed into me without checking their mirror. Both times I experienced the well known Liberty Mutual policy of "ignore, deny, and lie". They ignore you in hopes you'll eventually give up, deny accident and damage facts, and lie about witness statements if you can actually get someone to return a call or email. This time I reported them to my state department of insurance for violations. You should do the same, unless you are a terrible driver who doesn't look where you're going, then you should use them.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I am a first year client with policies for two vehicles, one homeowner's, and a liability umbrella. Have never had any claims with Liberty, have not had ANY claims for probably at least 15 years with any company. Just received billing for first renewal, and premiums have increased 18%, 14.5%, and 13.4% respectively. Yes, I have a few words about my experience so far.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky