Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual - Auto

3.9/5 (2230 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Liberty Mutual - Auto

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • Many customization options
  • Affordable

Cons

• Customer service difficulties
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Liberty Mutual's auto insurance is ideal for those looking to buy affordable and customizable coverage online. The company offers an array of discounts and custom coverage options.

Top Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Verified

They have your best interests at heart. They always cover things I am not sure will be covered. Also the premiums remain pretty steady, so I don't have to go looking for a cheaper...

Verified

I had to sign up, pay and it was a great experience for me. I like the way you can talk to them about what happen and they listen. Liberty is a pretty good company… Feels like fam...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is Liberty Mutual car insurance?

Liberty Mutual is an insurance provider with a broad range of auto policy coverage and benefit options. It offers some specialized and add-on coverage and significant discounts, as well as a user-friendly online policy management system.

What does Liberty Mutual car insurance cover?

Liberty Mutual’s most affordable package offers typical car insurance: bodily injury liability, property damage liability and uninsured motorist coverage. This basic coverage meets most auto insurance requirements, but you can choose from several additional coverages to round out your auto policy. Liberty Mutual's add-ons include:

• Medical payment
  • New car replacement
  • Better car replacement
  • Gap insurance
  • Teachers’ insurance

Liberty Mutual car insurance quotes and costs

Liberty Mutual doesn’t disclose its car insurance rates online, but you can inquire about services and get a quote on its website. Your policy rates depend on your age, location, driving record and more. We requested a quote for basic coverage for a 20-something driver with good driving history, and Liberty's easy-to-use quote generator suggested a package as affordable as $94.25 per month. The company also offers lots of discounts, including:

• Personal discounts: Deals based on your current situation, e.g., good student and homeowner discounts. Liberty Mutual also offers up to 45% off if you renew your policy before the current term is over.
  • Automobile discounts: If your car has unique properties, like anti-theft or energy-saving features, you can get discounts.
  • RightTrack: By using this tracking device and app program, you can get discounts for safe driving.
  • Policy discounts: Liberty Mutual offers several discounts for those who pay upfront or online and those who purchase multiple policies at once.

You can get a quote by filling out a quick form on Liberty Mutual's website, and from there you can customize your insurance package to get the coverage you need.

Liberty Mutual car insurance FAQ

Does Liberty Mutual have cancellation fees?
Yes, but only if you cancel before the end of your policy term.
Can you cancel car insurance at any time with Liberty Mutual?
Yes, you can call Liberty Mutual to cancel your policy (remember to ask what the fees are for canceling early).
Can I pay for Liberty Mutual insurance with my credit card?
Yes, you can pay with your credit card on Liberty Mutual's website.
Where is Liberty Mutual car insurance available?
Liberty Mutual auto coverage is available in 45 states, including Washington D.C.

Is Liberty Mutual car insurance good?

Yes, Liberty Mutual is a solid auto insurance company with relatively cheap rates and coverage you can customize to your needs. We like its easy-to-use website, its quote tool and the various discount options.

Liberty Mutual - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

I went online to pay house & truck insurance like I do every month but this time Nov 20 2022 it wasn't showing on my acct. I was paying every month without knowing payment wasn't being accepted. I received a $150 credit from them on July 11th, 2022. I called them. My car insurance was paid up they said. I didn't know why so I also asked about the house & truck insurance and they said it was paid for that month but would be due the following month. All 3 were to be on one bill when I set this up in Feb but they said it couldn't until car insurance was done with its contract so I have been paying 2 bills with one on automatic payments.

My husband has been driving his truck without insurance because of Liberty Mutual! I should have never stayed with them because they sent $57 a couple of years ago to collections. I called and was told before it went to collections that it was paid and Not to worry. Then 6 months later showed up on my credit report as not paid!!! I have disputed it twice but it still comes back on the report!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Please record your interactions with ANY of their employees. They will lie to get you to sign with them. Later, they will increase the premiums and claim they have no record of conversations they had with you. Claim they fixed a problem only to say they never heard of it. Not good people.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

They promise to help you until you want new parts, used in the repair process of your car. They Bully you using letters to intimidate, and cohesive you into going to the cheapest shops, then they only allow a small percentage of coverage to get the right job done, this is after, their policyholder hit You with their vehicle. You're the Victim, and you're treated like a prison inmate. They are dishonest, unethical, and disrespectful. It takes 30 days to get a simple 1,600.00 and the process is messy. Liberty Mutual is not a company to will stay in business for long. They do not have a value, respect, dignity, or integrity in their company and employee ethics.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Safeco Liberty is attempting to steal over $2,000 from my family by devaluing our vehicle. I am a Gulf War Service-Connected Disabled Veteran and recently diagnosed with a VERY rare lymphoma due to chemical exposure during my service. The last problem my family needs is entering conflict, fighting an "American" business. Safeco-Liberty Insurance, is a dishonorable "American" company. Two months ago, my wife was involved in a collision in our 2007 BMW 328Xi. It was the other driver's fault, Liberty deemed our vehicle a total loss and their insurance adjustor (de)valued our BMW, which had 190,000 miles and great condition, at only $4,155. So, we went through the other driver's insurance, who appraised it at $5100. That's almost a $1,000 difference!

Both use Certified Collateral Corporation (CCC), which has settled in multiple class action laws suits and paid out millions of dollars in settlements and stated their business model is to devalue cars to benefit insurance companies. Yet, how is it that Liberty cites a lower valuation? We then received appraisals from TWO different companies and BOTH valuations are $6,400. They were appalled by the $2300 disparity. Yet, they weren't surprised because the appraisal was predicated upon CCC. The Claim Service Representative, by the name Jessica, is extremely rude, unhelpful, wants me to rush and agree to their terms, and has the audacity to say in an email, it "is not a negotiation." I opted to exercise my 3rd Party Appraisal Clause and when I notified Jessica, she was clearly unsatisfied, and upon requesting the name of the appraisal company they will use, was hesitant to provide the business, which is SCA Appraisal.

I Googled them to learn they're just as unethical as CCC. Clearly, Liberty fears objective appraisals and will do everything within their to cheat customers. I received much better service and respect from Farmer's and will change insurance companies. I received better service and respect from Farmer's and will change insurance companies. Even if I weren't a service-connected disabled Veteran and without lymphoma, I should be treated with dignity, morality, and decency. I shouldn't be forced to waste valued time fighting this, which the stress caused me to spend two days in bed will not relent until I receive the amount of $6,400.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I was a victim of an accident where the other party admitted fault. Decided that did not want to sue because the insurance stated they would fix my car at any given auto shop. At the very start of the claim, Safeco/Liberty Mutual was very distant and not at all communicative with me about the process. I had to initialize everything with everyone in the process except the auto shop was impossible to get in touch with. Finally a month or more later I was able to get my car in the shop and they helped me to even get a rental car for work. I live paycheck to paycheck in these hard times and need a car for work every day.

Then the emails between Mr. ** and Mr. ** stated the rates and what they would be paying. Safeco in the rates was severely undercutting the rates given by the auto fix shop (the only Mazda-certified shop in Arizona). The great communications of the auto shop were met with very poor communications by Liberty mutual. This has to be the worst insurance experience I've gone through. Safeco stated that they would not budge and never contacted me about any of this, I had to find out when trying to pick up my car when it was fixed. I live an hour and a half away from the auto shop, not to mention throughout the process had to take 2 non-paid days off work (I can't afford this).

Safeco stated my car was fixed and needed to be picked up or I would have to start paying for the rental car out of pocket. The auto shop stated that same day that they would start to charge me storage fees if not picked up that day. When I arrived they stated that the insurance refused to pay the $770.47 for the labor fees and that I will not be getting my car back till it was paid. I don't have $770.47 for this surprise expense. I needed a car, communicating with Safeco/Liberty Mutual was no help at all. They said that I would have to cover this and that they would not be helping at all.

They said I get to pick the auto shop, but nothing was communicated about me having to pay this surprise expense and was never able to get in touch with Mr. ** throughout the entire process (called, emailed, voicemail). Communication was the biggest factor where Safeco/Liberty Mutual failed, because if I was told that I would have to pay for something that I know I didn't have the money for then I would have taken my car to a shop less expensive.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I started to feel our $8000+ auto policy was really high. I called and they wouldn't budge. With a 20 year old car on it we asked to reprice without the car and it went higher. So I called 4 other companies and ALL were in the $2000 a year range (within $100). So basically we have been policy holders for auto since 2007, 15 years. (And home and used to have boats, 2nd home and an umbrella policy). So cannot tell but seems like we have been paying $6000 extra for at least 5 years maybe longer. SHOP SHOP SHOP every year because we became complacent and never looked around again til now. Prices for our other insurance was quoted much less as well.

Original review: July 9, 2022

Both Maria and Belinda were awesome while helping my wife and I choose the correct amount of insurance while living on a fixed income. Switching to Liberty Mutual dropped my insurance cost by nearly 40%. I would highly recommend reviewing your insurance cost as not all companies are concerned about your financial situation. Paying for Insurance during today’s high cost of living is very difficult to do but you're glad you have it, if God forbid, you ever need it. Check out Liberty Mutual if you don’t already have it.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I have been a customer of Liberty Mutual for over 7 years and have never had to file a claim. Recently I was involved in an auto accident where my vehicle was struck from behind by another car. Patrick ** was my assigned claims representative. I cannot stress enough what an absolute horrible job he did as well as his supervisor Christopher ** in handling my claim. Initially absolutely no contact involving answering questions with the involvement of my claim. Once contact was made after multiple calls & emails made by me reaching out over and over, so much time spent on my part just to get some clarification. It felt like I was just missed accidentally, but I wasn't, the initial conversation ended with "We understand, WE apologize, and We will make it right and take care of YOU.". They did not at all and I have yet to still receive a check from them involving my deductible.

My accident happened in February, it is now May 19th. Stephen ** was placed as my new claims Representative and again false promises, horrible return phone calls. I just recently called on Monday again about my deductible and an agent said would you like me to put this in as a high priority. I said of course I would like that and then I was instructed I would receive a phone call the next day. Today is Thursday May 19th 5:30 pm EST and I have not yet received a phone call or an email or a text or a message through their app. Just downright out unacceptable. I hope this reviews helps people out there who are deciding of what insurance company to go with. Unfortunately I picked the short straw!!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I should have gathered how awful this company was by the simple fact that they use an Emu for all of their commercials. I've never had an organization work SO HARD to lose business. After providing all the documents asked of me, they refused to take something off the account that was their error. Admittedly their error. When I pointed out that it was their error, they ignored me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I helped a friend acquire a vehicle and put my name on a loan and they happen to get into an accident with a deer and totaled said car they were using Liberty Mutual as their insurance provider and I told them to park the car at my house so I could look at it too and find out what they're going to offer for the vehicle coz I might be interested in keeping it since I was on the title and the lien holder on it. Instead they decided to trespass on my property and take that car without permission that I have the title for and now they're trying to tell me where that car is located is none of my business, how I'm going to get it back is none of my business and they still haven't paid me my friend or my bank who financed the car a nickel for it but yet it's in their possession. I'm feeling a whole lot of legal gray areas and I'm about to lawyer up on them. I hope they enjoy paying out lawsuits

Liberty Mutual - Auto Company Information