Call toll free
3.52/5
Based on 429 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

1146 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Joined Liberty Mutual a year ago, because of the excellent sales pitch. Was promised that my car insurance would probably decrease, but instead the monthly premium was going up $36.00. Called and emailed my sales agent, but no response. Worst company to deal in regards to customer service. They could care less. I’m part of the Allstate family now and could not be happier. This is an insurance company that knows how to treat their customers.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am a 45 yr old female. I been driving since the age of 21. I always pay my premium regardless of what insurance company I'm with. On 6-14-2018 a driver was going in the wrong direction on the highway and hit me head on while I was on my way to work. I was stranded at the ER with my daughter. I ask for a rental because my car was totaled. They inform me that I did not have rental on my policy even though I owned a 52,000 SUV with full coverage on my vehicle with towing. I was crying telling them it was a mistake. They inform me I could go to Enterprise and get a discount but where would I get the money to pay. I'm without a car plus I had my insurance adjuster look at my policy. She inform me it was under transportation not rental reimbursement. What a lousy trick.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My 90 year old dad (a WW2 vet BTW) car was hit by a man in a grocery parking lot. Not a lot of damage & the man immediately admitted fault. Liberty jerked him around for 5 weeks then said they weren't responsible because it was private property. WHAT!?!? So my dad is out $1000 for his deductible to get his car fixed. That's bull!!! This company is a SHAM- stay away! Shame on these shysters!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I filed my claims online and on the phone with adjuster and Liberty Mutual have always been very helpful and kind. Same amount of insurance as prior company for much less money. Customer service is as good or better.

Original review: June 5, 2018

If you get a ticket or have an accident this company will raise the rates. Child got ticket. We have 4 drivers 3 with perfect record one with ticket. Rates went from 350 to 600. We were loyal customer for 10 years. This is a horrible insurance company. Got better rates from Progressive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have seen their commercials on tv on numerous occasions, and when my husband and I decided to switch insurance so we could save some money, they were the first ones we looked into. They responded so quickly to my inquiry, that I didn't even get to let my husband know that I had requested a quote from them. They even double checked with us to make sure that they had all of our information correct. It was a really easy switch. They did ask for proof that we were insured prior to switching to them, but that was simple, too. Our previous insurance sent us an email that we sent to Liberty Mutual. They are a bit different than your average auto insurance company. They have wonderful customer service and the prices are cheap. Overall, they make more sense than most other auto insurance companies. I am 100% satisfied!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I like that Liberty Mutual covers drivers, even ones not the lease. Very decent price for the coverage and good liability coverage. Got "temporary" insurance cards through email until the actual ones, due to starting the policy from the convenience of home. The purchasing process was straightforward. A matter of a fact CSR, who told me the facts albeit a bit dry, but at least knowledgeable and not rude. The matter was handle in a fairly timely manner, with all questions being fully addressed. However, many, not all, of the customer service representatives, are completely rude. A few are incompetent. They either don't understand what they are selling, don't care, or shouldn't be in any type of customer service job.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've only been with Liberty Mutual for a month and so far I have no issues with them. I've also heard good things from other people who use them.It was the cheapest, but also reputable. They were super easy to purchase my policy from and had many discounts. I applied for a quote online. Received a phone call from a representative who went over their entire policy with me and then he walked me through my entire purchase. I'm very pleased to deal with them. I also seen they have full car replacement even for new vehicles if I am able to eventually purchase one.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience with Liberty Mutual - Auto was good. They are a good company and they have great customer service. They were customer friendly and they were good at handling issues and complaints. But we had to leave because we couldn't afford the rates. They were too high for the coverage. We went to another company that had lower rates for the same amount of coverage. If the rates were lower for the coverage that we are receiving now, I would go back.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The price beat out most competitors. We shopped around for a while and Liberty Mutual really stuck out price wise and quality wise. Our purchasing process for car insurance went really well. It was easy to set everything up and figure out the payment. Our agent was very courteous and knowledgeable. The only thing I would change is less wait time to talk to a representative. But overall my spouse and I really like the company. I would recommend this insurance to family and friends because of our great experience.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have my payments automatically withdrawn from my account every month and Liberty Mutual allowed me to pick the best date for my payments. I like Liberty Mutual inductance and I enjoy the level of customer service that I received from the company. They're the best insurance company I've ever had business with and I would recommend them to all my friends and family.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Purchasing insurance through Liberty Mutual was very easy and the customer service is great! There was someone there throughout the entire time willing to help me with any questions or concerns I had. I was very happy with them and their willingness to help me with anything that I needed even if that meant repeating something that was previously explained because I didn't understand it or confused. I like the cost/efficiency of the insurance itself but wish that it was a bit cheaper/easier to afford.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Liberty Mutual has good response time on claims and their replacement coverage is good for the most part. They also have friendly and usually helpful staff. However, the price is high and the towing and roadside is not that good. I have had better towing roadside with other companies. Also, the adjusters are overworked. They matched the price at first then slowly raised the price and no moving violations or accidents at the time.

Original review: May 26, 2018

On May 12th 2018 my car was severely damaged by a truck insured by Liberty Mutual rendering it unusable and towed to Ralph & Sons Auto Repair here in White Plains, NY. Although I was told on 5/16th that I would be contacted within 24-48 hrs I had to find your office number and called you 5 days later on 5/21 and only then did I receive acknowledgment of the claim against Ohio Security Ins. and Liberty Mutual.

Now 15 days later and no adjuster has been dispatched to allow repairs to commence. Received a call 5/25 from adjuster team wanting to know where the car could be seen when Liberty Mutual had been provided the location of the my car. Adjuster promised someone would go out to see the car and never did. Now with the next business day 5/29 it will be 18 days with no action. I see lots of Liberty Mutual Insurance TV ads which suggest they are willing to sell their product but will not provide decent response to claims and services expected.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Liberty Mutual has the lowest price for state minimum coverage, offers good discounts, good communication, easy to transfer from old company, friendly agent, has good reviews, easy auto pay for bills. Very easy to purchase online, easy to get quote, promptly heard from local agent, website easy to navigate. But RightTrack penalizes for accelerating too quickly, but you need to accelerate quickly to get on highways. Also penalized for braking from 8mph to 1mph in 2 seconds. That's ridiculous.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Crooks they are. I canceled my auto insurance because I found a better deal at a Lower price with another company. Well when I canceled it was confirmed by Liberty Mutual that it was canceled. Well the next following month Liberty took out $96.00 from my checking account. As a single mother I have a very tight budget so now my kids and I have to suffer. To my disappointment I received an email expressing Liberty Mutual is refunding me $86.00. They withdrew $96! After I canceled my account!!! And I'm only getting $86. Not right. Totally unethical and unprofessional. Half ** doing a job = Termination. Why are they not doing anything? I called customer service. I emailed and I get nothing. Terrible scum bags, bottom feeders, Low lifer Thieving Crooks they are. They need to be held accountable for ripping off hard working American citizens.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have had a great experience with Liberty Mutual and the coverage that they provide. The multi-vehicle coverage is good for the price they are charging and getting young drivers started with insurance. They have come through every time there has been a problem or accident without questions and no matter who's fault it was. They are quick to check out your claim with no back and forth or negativity. However, I would like to have more say in who I take my vehicle to if there is a problem or accident and still get the same guarantee of the work done even if it is not done by someone in partnership with Liberty Mutual. Also, lower prices is always good for the consumer and would bring in more people for Liberty Mutual services. Other than that, this is great for the consumer especially when you are in a nerve-racking situation. It is good to know that your insurance company will stand by you!

Original review: May 25, 2018

Purchasing was All done online. Very easy. I looked up Progressive, State Farm, and Geico, and Liberty was cheapest. Also less expensive than Allstate. But they charged me more to cover a single vehicle after my divorce. Ridiculous to charge more to cover one car, one driver, than 2 cars and three drivers! I have not had contact with anyone from the company since they got my money as well. Less personal. But I guess that could be a positive thing, too.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It was easy to get all of our insurance set up quickly and efficiently. My price that I pay every month, it is really cheap compared to what I have paid in the past, also the customer service is awesome. We haven't had a problem because the lady we work with has helped us when needed, she guides me into the right direction to get something taken care of. Very good experience. But they are quick to cancel your policy if you are late or have to make an arrangement for the payment. We were late one time and they cancelled my insurance within 3 days, even though I got a letter stating I had 13 days to get it fixed within the date of the letter so that took some time to get everything back to normal and get it caught up which that can happen with any company, but I didn't know they would cancel so quickly without notifying their customer first.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Liberty Mutual has the coverage I want. Purchasing the insurance was simple. My agent did it, I asked questions, he recalculated, I approved. Could be hands off if I wanted it to be. The price is ok and they offer a lot of discounts. They also make it easy to do business with them year after year. But I wish they wouldn't increase their rates so much every year. They increase it by more than 10% every year which is ridiculous.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Very helpful and helps me feel safe. Liberty Mutual has been a trusting company since I joined them. The process was very easy since I completed everything online and they have always been helpful with the process in helping me chose which is best for me. They are easy to do business with and paying my bill online is convenient. They also have great customer service.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Purchasing was somewhat easy, I was able to complete most of it online, without the need to speak with an agent, which is a preferred way for me. The explanation of policies and coverage was decent, I didn't have to ask many follow up questions. I like that it is easy to access my account online, view statements, pay bills. The cost is reasonable considering the coverage. Furthermore, there are a good number of different coverages this company offers to choose from. I had a claim once, and it was handled quickly and professionally.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Liberty Mutual offers multiple discounts that many other companies do not. The agents are always a joy to interact with. They are extremely knowledgeable in the industry, they know what questions to ask and what the customer needs. Therefore, buying a policy from them is not only affordable but easy. The company works fast and efficiently anytime there is a claim. After being a customer for several years I find them to be the best in the industry in customer service bar none. The only thing that could use improvement is the occasional wait time. When you call customer service, many times it is a stressful situation and you need someone right away.

Original review: May 24, 2018

LM is a national company. They have low rates and will give a discount for bundling with your homeowners policy. It is easy to buy if you qualify but tough luck if they don't like your credit rating or your driving record. I miss having an agent with an office in my area though. I didn't like the closed local office and usually have good rates but will periodically price their policies way over market like I am expected to cover their bad underwriting. However claims service has been fast and fair.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I was very happy with signing up with Liberty Mutual after my experience with Progressive. The rate was the cheapest for Massachusetts where I live. It would be nice if there was more of a discount for my safe driving record. I would also like it if there was an easier way to combine auto insurance with renter's insurance. I'd like to protect my belongings without having to give detailed information about the apartment building I'm living in. But other than that, purchasing the policy was great and I also appreciated the professionalism and kindness of the customer representative who handled my call and questions. I'm satisfied with Liberty Mutual.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My overall experience purchasing auto insurance from Liberty Mutual was fairly easy. All I had to do was call and I got a quote immediately, I was able to compare the quote with rates from other insurance companies as well as the benefits they offer. It was easy to make my choice. I like that they're reliable and they have accident forgiveness. They always make sure that they pay you the full value of your car. I feel like I can trust them. I know that I am making a good investment and I do not have to worry about being ripped off or my having the coverage I need in times of crisis. But I would like them to have better bundle deals and I would also like to see better coverage in homeowners insurance and renters insurance.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Liberty Mutual at first saved me money! But now they have gone up 300+ dollars citing an increase in medical payments. I have not had any incidents! Homeowner's also went up. No claims! What is up with this?

Original review: May 23, 2018

I went to place where they find an insurance company that fits your needs. You just go or call and give the person your information and they do whatever they do and look at multi-insurance companies and then discuss what and which one again best suits you, so overall liked them. I like that they give you % off for owning certain kind of vehicle and they do work with you if you can't afford to pay your bill that month or in full, because some months are better than others and other months are more difficult in the sense of money is concerned. Also they are quick with processing claims, unlike other companies who just say that and take their time processing your claim. And the couple people who I have talked to were nice and I actually got the vibe that they were listening and trying to help, not like just telling you a bunch of ** and just want they think you want them to tell you.

However still with % off, monthly bill was still a bit high because first time being on own policy so wish they would understand that and work with first timers because a lot people do not have money to prepay for 3 or 6 months. I was lucky that my dad helped out and from there. Switching insurance company they could see or know that I had insurance before because I stayed with this company honestly because thought second year would be cheaper monthly, but actually wasn't, was the same and that was with the % off. I'm looking into someone a bit cheaper not because do not like them but because with my boyfriend being out of work for couple months and with it being the holiday have to cut down on some bills.

Original review: May 23, 2018

When we decided to switch insurance companies we had no issues getting a quote and signing up with Liberty Mutual. Buying our policy was as simple as it could be and was all done very quickly. We also like that we have always been able to do all of our business online. We can add or take off cars simply online.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I really like everything about Liberty Mutual. I called the company. They asked a few questions to see how they could get me the cheapest insurance possible. The whole process took less than twenty minutes. The employees all return phone calls promptly and they've always been prompt to help me when I've needed it. I like the joint policy discounts, prompt services, no hassles when needing repairs even when both cars were hit by lightning causing one car to be totaled and another to need extensive work.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky