Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Liberty Mutual - Auto
1.28/5

Liberty Mutual - Auto

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Mutual offers competitively priced car insurance products along with special coverage options and discounts. Happy customers appreciate how easy it is to switch to Liberty Mutual from another provider. The company has an easy online platform to get a quote and sign up for a new policy.

PROS

• Offers accident forgiveness and new car replacement
  • RightTrack encourages good driving behavior
  • Well-established company with 100+ years of insurance experience
  • User-friendly website
  • Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund helps you save up for your deductible

CONS

• Some customers experienced an increase in rates
  • Discounts not available in all states

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1316 Liberty Mutual - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 1, 2019

I had LM policyholder pull out in front of me and I hit him. They were absolutely great to me man. I was super nervous that they were going to somehow blame me for it. Not at all. They super nice from the first phone call. I believe Nicole was her name. Super caring and helpful. The claim adjuster Roger was freaking awesome too. Much love to Liberty Mutual for doing the right thing!! Much appreciated.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I fled another insurance company who canceled my insurance after a claim for damages by a wild animal. The damage was repaired but the insurance company sent me a notice that they were not renewing my policy even though I had been paying premiums for 15 years. Liberty Mutual is stand up and a star in the service department. Receptive, understanding and very customer friendly if you get the right agent and not a phone bank.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have had the RightTrack (ODBC II) port for about 3 weeks. I also have a wide-angle front and rear dashcam that keeps time-stamped video and audio. After seeing about 6 acceleration events (at that time no braking events), I decided to pull the video and watch it from 5 minutes before until 5 minutes after the stated time. I managed to see (guess) what caused the acceleration event. It was this: I was travelling on a limited access roadway just after 5 am, and on cruise control set right around 52 mph.

As the grade of the road changed to a slight uphill, the transmission shifted into a lower gear to maintain speed. (There was no acceleration. The cruise control merely properly maintained speed.) This caused 3 acceleration events (somehow) to be recorded in one minute intervals. I have since stopped using cruise control, and allow the vehicle to slow down on (even gentle) uphill slopes. Since that time, 2 braking events were recorded that never really happened. I will be pulling the video on those later. I have to agree with the posters that said there is a problem in the Right Track technology. Most of the events it records will be spurious.

I also did a little more experimentation. It appears to measure acceleration and braking along two completely separate vectors. The data I have collected suggest that an event is registered if either vector boundary is crossed. One vector is the rate of change of the speedometer needle (this also should be the same as the rate of speed change on the drive wheels). In order to test this, you would need access to a dynamometer. (Device used to test emissions with older vehicles.) The mileage increase with the vehicle on a dynamometer is registered by the RightTrack device, and therefore actual vehicle movement is not required. Use of a dynamometer isn't advised, however, because unlike in an actual road situation, the wheel speed can alter dramatically quickly in this situation, and result in both braking and acceleration events due to its measurement of the "wheel speed" vector.

The other vector appears to be engine speed, or i.e. rapid RPM changes. This can also trigger as acceleration or braking events independently of changes in the drive wheel's rotational speed. Other than simply starting the program, and then not driving the car for 3 months, (which is usually not an option), the best bet is to plan your routes so that you drive fairly long distances on limited access roads. Avoid local routes where the density of start/stop per unit mile is high. Try to reduce the event per mile density. All that said, I can’t complain about the way the program is set up. Even if I only get the 5% minimum, it will carry forward for the life of the vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I came to Liberty Mutual after being a lifelong Nationwide customer. Nationwide tried to fob me off on another insurance company because they could not provide me with comprehensive insurance. Not only was Liberty able to get me what I needed, but they were also cheaper and had better coverage. I also like that their policies are for 12 months instead of 6, this allows me to lock in the price for the year rather than taking a chance that it increases. So far I am glad that I switched and I wish I had done it sooner, they have been great and it was so easy to sign up and review their policies.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Recently bought a new car and auto insurance. I was lucky enough to have Adam ** as my agent. When Progressive couldn’t help me at all, I called Liberty Mutual and Adam **, of Colorado Springs, saved the day. Without his help we would have ended up not purchasing the vehicle. He was incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and took care of business in a very expedited and professional way. Since I’ve purchased auto insurance, he has always been available to answer any and all questions I’ve had, always responding in a timely manner giving me clarity and peace of mind about all aspects of my policy. I’m very pleased with everything Adam has done and can only wish that there were more top notch agents like him around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I was a customer of 26 years with this company. 5 teen drivers and no accidents. I left because of the astronomical prices. Now down to 2 teen drivers I called for a quote. 6400$. The reason for it being double of what I pay now is that the man says I have 12 claims. When I asked him to explain what you mean by 12 claims, I have never made a claim. His response was “he didn’t have time for this.”

Apparently when you use their roadside assistance that YOU pay extra for it is considered a claim. Which we only had 1. And 2 windshield chips apparently are also a claim-which you pay extra for. (I got this information from another company that I shopped prices with.) So the crooked liar got all huffy with me when I kept asking, "WHAT CLAIMS?" First his response was 10 claims then it went up to 12 because he was trying to justify 6400.00. The next three insurance I shopped came in at 2700 for the year. So who is Liberty Mutual kidding? They are a joke and their customer service is even worse. Save yourself the headaches and shop somewhere else.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Absolute worst company to deal with when filing a claim. It has been over a month and a half since my car was hit, I have received one email 2 weeks after the accident, where I was asked to write out a witness statement, because I guess it was to much trouble to call. Since then I have repeatedly called, but the adjuster is never actually at their desk, I eventually got the manager's number who was also not at their desk. Today I called and finally got an answer, where I was immediately put on hold, then told it was the other company taking too long. Even if that were so I was at no point given any kind of update and left completely in the dark. You should avoid them like the plague, they are a terrible company to work with in any capacity.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Get an immediate rate increase and auto change of policy the second day of an only $500 claim. This company is cheap. This claim is for replacement of a windshield. Also they only cover about $500. If you want an OEM windshield (mine is Audi), you need to pay out of pocket for the rest of the cost (another $500). Never see policy like this. And they never tell you about this when you buy the insurance.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Had a minor collision in a parking lot. Clearly it was the other party's fault and I had pictures to back me up. Liberty proposed that I was 10% liable and the other party 90%. I thought that was fair. The other party's insurance company, Allstate, ignored the evidence and insisted on 50 and 50. Liberty called to inform me that was the best they could do, leaving me hanging high and dry.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I had Liberty Mutual auto insurance for five years. But recently found out they've changed to a different business model. They now have fewer brick-n-mortar service centers but have 'consolidated' these centers to call centers scattered throughout the country. So, that good old "neighborhood insurance agents" setting is gone! Now, customers of Liberty Mutual would be served by unknown person with a headset on his/her head providing the service through a computer screen. So, that face-to-face interaction and the accountability that would come with it are all gone now. Now, the service agents would and could make all kinds of promises to their customers but never follow-up or have any obligation to fulfill those promises. So, Liberty Mutual is now an insurance service run by a bunch of robots that have been programmed to only accept money, much like a broken vending machine!

Original review: June 6, 2019

Never ever deal with Liberty Mutual insurance. Anyone that works with or for this insurance company represents the company. With that being said they have very poor communication skills and a lack of customer service. After filing an auto claim it was hard to speak with the adjuster, even the manager. No one returned calls or emails when requested. After an entire week of my car sitting at an auto body shop for an estimate because their power was down they had the nerve to call me after I made several calls and email request to try and total out my car.

They allowed this dealership to add all of these charges so that they could get a big check for my repairs without even asking me if all those repairs were even needed. I tried for days to get a response from the adjuster Sardar and his manager. His manager never returned my calls and he returned my calls whenever he felt like it. I ended up cancelling the claim because I knew my car wasn’t totaled and I also cancelled my instance policy with them. If you do buy a policy with Liberty don’t expect the claims process to be handled professionally.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Liberty Mutual is not inexpensive. They have elaborate contracts with hidden deductible loopholes that spare them from providing the very service they advertise. So if your home is robbed and you submit a claim, you can expect to be robbed by Liberty Mutual, too. This is the first and last time that I am going with a commercial company to provide a simple service. They give a bad name to commercial insurance companies. I'll go with the cheapest insurance there is next time.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I was led to believe I could achieve up to 30% discount if I allowed Right Track devices in our autos. After 3 months here is the result: Me - Drove 353 miles, never at night. 4 quick accelerations and 4 quick braking incidents. Got 4% discount. Husband - Drove 2259 miles, 19 miles at night. Had 33 quick accelerations and 59 braking incidents. INCREASED our insurance 5%. You decide. We are now paying MORE for our auto insurance.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have attempted 3 times over the last two days to file a claim but the insurance adjusters leave me on hold for over 30 minutes and eventually hang up every single time. My car was rear ended by a commercial vehicle that is insured by Liberty Mutual, and all we want from them is a rental car! I am an registered nurse with two children in need of a way to get to and from work and pick drop off and pick up my children. Absolutely appalling customer service.

Original review: May 26, 2019

Been a customer of Liberty Mutual for a little over a year and unfortunately had two accidents, neither of which were my fault, no tickets for speeding or otherwise, never missed paying my premiums as I was set up on auto pay. I recently learned that they canceled my insurance at renewal time without even notifying me. They attempted to withdraw the money from my bank account seven days earlier than required or given authorization to do so! And the money they were trying to take from my account happen to be for renewal that I didn’t even authorize renewing although they say they otherwise. Now because they canceled my service I have been told I now owe them money in the amount of $586 for the months that they insured me that I didn’t pay! They say they sent me notices I never got a damn thing! They can’t explain why and have no returned mail noted in their system either!

However, they continued to take money out of my account for the renters insurance policy that I started at the same time as the car insurance policy (renewal was needed to continue as well and I was never notified nor did I auth it). So when I called to cancel the renters, I learned of the auto policy lapse and they said, “Oh yeah. We’re still taking money from your account for that. Let’s go ahead and cancel it today!” Now I’m pretty sure they owe me money! So when I spoke to the customer service they sucked and nobody could help me. Now in order to renew my insurance that lapsed that I didn’t even know was lapsed they want to charge me 100% down and they raised my rates from $158 monthly to $458 per month for two accidents that were not my fault and they’ve been recorded to show they were.

An attorney review of this is worth it because bad business practices and poor ethics unfortunately cause problems for people that think they can count on others to do what they’re supposed to do. Liberty Mutual is a big company and they make a lot of darn money. You can’t tell me that they don’t have enough money to send renewal notices out or to pick up the damn phone and call their customers. Look online people! There are hundreds of complaints that are exactly like this one so if you have a Liberty Mutual you might want to get out of your policy now before you have a problem and if you don’t have them then don’t choose to go with them! Because unfortunately in the end you’re going to pay a price like all the rest of us have!

Original review: May 24, 2019

My daughter was sideswiped by Liberty Mutual policyholder. Police report stated he was at fault, he was issued citation. The other driver admitted he was at fault. 15 days later still NOTHING. No adjuster, no rental, NOTHING! How are these thieves still allowed to do business??? Obviously the five star reviews are clearly written by their staff. Go to YouTube and watch the horrible videos about them and you will see. They even treat their own policyholders this way when they make a claim on property damage to homes. Watch YouTube videos of actual people suffering from this insurance company!!!! Don’t go on disability either or you’ll be eating cat food because they will refuse your claim. Do your research and you will see that all I am telling you is true. Ask a personal injury attorney (any one of them) and they will tell you that this is the worst company to have.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Hi, STAY AWAY From LIBERTY MUTUAL.... LIARs and Thiefs, I been with them for so many years, recently I had water damage. Try to file claim, my deductible is $1000. Estimate was $1300 and they refuse to pay $300. Customer service is horrible and rude. I left so many voicemails and e-mails, They do not respond when they need to pay, only fast to collect payments. Hopefully my nightmare experience with This horrible company, save some time, money and stress.

Original review: May 21, 2019

A Liberty Mutual customer crashed into me. The customer was entirely at fault as evidenced by both by Cal law, front and rear cameras and Sheriff's Dept deputy witnesses. Liberty Mutual's customer was a 94-year old driver who uses oxygen while driving and had run out. After the accident I hooked him up to a new canister.

I tried to go through Liberty Mutual to get my vehicle repaired. They appeared to be super friendly and asked for all the details, and asked for the videos, which I sent...until they saw that they were 100% at fault... then complete silence for months - nothing. No return of emails, phone calls, nothing. I was entirely ghosted. Talking with people in the industry I found that this is a thing they do all the time, and get away with due to a loophole in the timeline required by law. This is despicable and completely unethical behavior.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I canceled my policy with Liberty over 2 months ago and still have not received my check. They have sent it to the wrong address on 3 occasions, and every time I call the reps blame the previous person but then do not do the correct thing (which is really not hard at all). I have called on about 10 occasions, totaling 3 hours for something that should've been a 5 minute phone call.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I recommend not using this company. They treat you like bull crap if you are not with them and they make your life hard to get anything done through claims. I have to wait almost 2 months to get my car fixed. I’m not supposed to be driving it but guess what - Liberty won’t give me a rental car because since it turns on it's “drivable”. They are a worthless company that overcharges and sucks.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been a loyal customer of Liberty Auto Insurance since 2010. Never had a major problem with them, until now. I renewed my policy, no problem with the rates. My first statement I got an increase of $340. I called and they couldn't tell me why. I paid the amount owed. The next month an increase of $480. Again they couldn't tell me why, I paid the amount due. The third statement I got they increased my insurance $840. They had increased my insurance over $1400. To this day still no reason why.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Husband was rear ended while stopped at a red light by a man insured by Liberty Mutual, open and shut case by most companies, not Liberty, they did not pay, now have to retain an Attorney and get it done correctly by the law in court. Maybe Liberty doesn't know that when a customer causes the accident by rear ending someone else, they are at fault. The person causing the accident pleaded with husband not to report accident to insurance, which seems to me, there is some issue with his driving or insurance. The man also lied and said someone hit him, another problem.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Extremely rude agents. Raised rates with no notice. When I called their rude "customer service" they said they emailed me about it. I told them I did not receive an email. They said they must have called then. Lies. Also, their rates went up over 20%! Absolute joke of a company.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was a Liberty Mutual customer for 30 years. Anytime I had an insurance issue, I had a local, knowledgeable person that could answer my questions. That all changed over the past couple of years. I moved to a new state in 2017 - and I informed Liberty Mutual of the move. They never re-wrote my liability policy to cover the new state. I was overcharged for 2 years! When I discovered the error, it took them 4 months to return my money. It required phone calls every 2 weeks for 4 months to get my refund. At every step, they would not provide a name so I could re-connect with the same person - they were all anonymous know-nothings. I even complained to the "President's Advisory Team" - what a joke that was. They have lost a 30 year loyal customer - because they forgot what customer service was.

Original review: May 8, 2019

A person insured by Liberty Mutual caused an accident and damaged my antique Honda. The accident was clearly their fault due to photo evidence. As soon as I retained a lawyer Liberty Mutual denied my claim. This is causing me a great hardship but the hell if they care!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Liberty Mutual rates are very low. That is because they don't pay their claims. We had our RV damaged while camping. I filed a claim and waited. I sent pictures and waited. They sent out an appraiser and waited. They sent the SAME appraiser out again... And waited. I could never get anyone to return my calls. After 4 months they DENIED my claim. I finally had to consult an attorney. After following his advice, they agreed that it was storm related. I switched just as soon as my policy came up for renewal. Living in Texas, I couldn't imagine them refusing to pay for a house that was damaged by hail or something worse, but I'm sure they will try.

Original review: May 2, 2019

We had been with Liberty Mutual auto insurance since 1999. Overall, their service was prompt when we had to make a claim (ONCE in 19 years), but when we recently got a quote to add another (used) vehicle and a teenage driver, we were SHOCKED at how much the premium would go up - and we were even living in a cheaper state (i.e. NOT California). We immediately called a few others and found a quote for the SAME COVERAGE for LESS THAN HALF of what Liberty wanted to charge - and not from a cut-rate insurance company, either. We called and canceled Liberty coverage IMMEDIATELY. After 19 years of loyalty, you'd think Liberty would work a little harder to keep us. But no. Nothing. I will never recommend Liberty Mutual auto insurance to anyone because it's clear they believe in ripping off customers, even the loyal ones. Better rates are out there.

Original review: April 29, 2019

You never know how good or bad an insurance company is, until you have a claim. I am still dealing with Liberal Mutual, for a very simple claim, that should have been wrapped up in a week or two. (It was a simple accident. The other driver hit my car while I was stopped at a light. My car was totaled, and carried away. There is no disagreement on what happened.)

After two months, they finally have read the official accident report, and they are really to look at the damage to the car. The last communication was, that they can't find the car, and so they assume that they don't need to cover the claim. I have found that simple communication with LM is impossible. They do not answer the phone, and do not return messages, or respond to texts. They put up a wall, so that they don’t have to respond or take action. At this rate, it will be several more months before this is finally settled. It’s no wonder that people get lawyers for dealing with insurance companies. Library Mutual is great at taking your money, and terrible at settling claims.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Liberty Mutual is has done a fantastic job of hiding the truth, backing a dishonest client, failing to communicate, and honor any ability to do the right thing. I was struck by one of their insured, who was clearly at fault (ran a stop sign), forced to go through the mediation process to have them cited for fault and now manage the long battle for the diminished value of my vehicle. This company will pull out all the stops, use all the right words, and take any action necessary to protect their funds. Beware, they do not have the best interest at heart when it comes to performing their main focus.. being an insurance company. I have all documentation needed and they will create a situation through time & money to force you to bend to what they believe is fair. This company is not reputable and is very good at talking in circles and avoiding their obligations.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have been a customer with Liberty Mutual for over 20 years. There were circumstances that led to the cancellation of my insurance policy (death in my family, husband added a car, miscommunications). Upon receiving a notice of cancellation I spoke with a service rep. and upon review and a check that I had made payments the service tech stated: "it must have been a mistake". A couple of weeks later I called to report a windshield claim, service tech could not identify my policy but didn't say anything else. When the glass company arrived they said that the claim was denied.

I called to check and was told that my policy was canceled. I was offered a reinstatement, HOWEVER, because I had called with the windshield claim two days prior, I was DENIED reinstatement. I was told that it would be sent to the help desk but could take 5-7 days and told I should find other insurance. After years of service and an impeccable driving record, this was how I was treated. The first person that helped me offered me new insurance at 12,500 per year. The second person that helped me was cordial and tried, but Liberty loopholes were too many. Liberty Mutual is not your friend.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual - Auto has been insuring American drivers for more than 50 years. Their excellent financial rating demonstrates their ability to meet policy obligations in the event of an accident.

• Quick quotes: Start a quote in seconds and walk away with coverage in just a few minutes. The entire process is available online.

• Online policy management: Change, renew, upgrade or cancel a policy through the intuitive online user dashboard.

• Low down payments: Many insurance companies ask for a large portion of the total insurance premium up front, but Liberty Mutual - Auto offers low down payment options to as many drivers as possible.

• Saved quotes: For those who don't have time to finish collecting a quote, there is a quick save function that allows them to recover their data at a later time.

• Convenient claims reporting: With both online and telephone claims reporting options, policyholders can use the method that is most convenient for them.

• Best for: New drivers, rate shoppers and multicar households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky